Godric's Hollow by Arthur Weasley
Summary: Lily and James feel safe with their baby at Godric's Hollow. Little do they realize that safety is a luxury that simply cannot be afforded anymore.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 2130 Read: 6822 Published: 11/08/04 Updated: 11/09/04

1. The Traitor by Arthur Weasley

2. Attempted Murder by Arthur Weasley

3. The Beginning by Arthur Weasley

The Traitor by Arthur Weasley
“James, are you sure we’ll be safe here in Godric’s Hollow?” a woman said earnestly.

“Lily, if not here, then where else?” her husband answered back. ‘How many times is she going to ask this?’ he thought. “We’ve used the Fidelius Charm. We’ve sealed our location within Peter Pettigrew. No one will ever find us, not even Voldemort. Unless, of course, Peter betrays us, and why would he do something like that?”

“I realize all of this, James. That’s not what worries me. You wanted to use Sirius. You’ve been closer with him since I’ve known you. Why did he back out?”

“I don’t know, Lily. He must’ve had a good reason though. I would trust Sirius with all of our lives, obviously. If he thought for some reason Peter would be a better choice, then we have to respect that.”

The woman called Lily let out a long sigh. “You’re right, James, but I still get a bad feeling about it.”

“I know, Lily, I’ve got the same feeling. I’ve always felt as if Peter was the oddball of the group. He never quite matched up to the rest of our skills and he always seemed distanced from us somehow. Still, we were friends all through Hogwarts. We Marauders mapped out the entire school. If you can’t trust your friends, then who can you turn to?”

An eerie silence followed. The Potters sat in their new house in the village of Godric’s Hollow, content with their safety sealed within the complex Fidelius Charm placed upon their good friend known as Wormtail. Upstairs a baby began to cry and Lily went up to attend to him. James moved over to the armchair she was in and began to think.

‘Why didn’t Sirius let us use the charm on him? He’s always been the closest to me out of the Marauders. I would’ve thought for sure he would take the burden of our safety upon his shoulders. I hope he’s not getting himself into trouble again. I would’ve thought we’d put those days behind us. Remus would’ve probably been a better choice than Peter, if not for that problem he has when the moon comes out.’

Lily came back downstairs. “He’s asleep again. He’s so beautiful, even when he’s cranky.”

“Yes, Lily, we truly are lucky to have such a wonderful family and wonderful frie”“ James attempted, as he was cut off by a crash in the distance.

“What was that?!” Lily quickly responded.

“I don’t know. You never know what these muggles get up to at this time of night, it’s hard to tell,” James replied, as he tried to throw off the obvious thought that was lingering on both of their minds. He walked over to the window, pulled back the curtains a bit, and peered out into the dim street. At first he couldn’t see anything, but then a shape gradually took form before his eyes. It was an eerie sight to say the least. A chalk white man was slowly approaching the house, penetrating the darkness with evil red eyes.

‘No, it can’t be. It’s not possible. Wormtail, we trusted Wormtail. After all this time…How could he?’ It seemed an eternity before James could pull himself back away from the pane of glass and shock himself back into the realization of what was going on.

“It’s him,” he uttered quietly.

“No…” Lily whispered, in total shock. “No, it can’t be.”

“It is.”

“But…Peter…he couldn’t have.”

“He must have. We have been betrayed, Lily.” Footsteps could be heard on the walkway to the house.

“Lily, take Harry and go! It’s him! Go! Run! I’ll hold him off”“ Lily needed no further urging, she took off running from the room, bounding back up the stairs.

“ALOHOMORA!” a cold, high voice rang through the night, as the lock on the door was lifted. Bang! and the door burst open as the ghost-like man kicked it open. He stepped into the Potters’ house and observed the room around him. Tall, clad in wizarding robes, demon red eyes, and white as snow, Voldemort threw back his head and cackled a cold, high-pitched laughter, all the while clutching his wand. “Well, Potter, you’ve had quite a run from me, haven’t you? All the way here to Godric’s Hollow? What a clever plan.”

James was already standing, wand out, ready to die. “Why are you here, Voldemort?” There was no trace of fear in his voice.

“So, you do not fear to speak my name, unlike all of your weak, pathetic friends? I am surprised. Few today can speak of that name without trembling and quaking with fright.”

“There are those of us brave enough to oppose you. What fear is there in a name?”

“Oh, there is much to be feared in my name, Potter. You won’t be around much longer, but you shall experience it nonetheless.”

“I asked you why you are here, Voldemort.”

“You seem awfully confident for one about to die. You conceited fool! I hear you were the same way in school, Potter. I guess some things never change. I, however, have changed for the better.” He let out another cold cackle of laughter. “Are you ready to die, Potter?” James didn’t answer.

“What a pity that your final chance for words is met with complete silence. AVADA KEDAVRA!” A flash of green light issued from Voldemort’s wand and James’ body fell limply to the floor. Upstairs, Lily’s face was streaked with tears.
Attempted Murder by Arthur Weasley
Voldemort approached the stairs and began to ascend. Lily began to panic. “No, no, please, no. Not now, not here.” She turned around and saw her baby lying in the cradle. “Harry, please…” But what she was asking she did not even know. As the footsteps grew louder and slower, Lily’s thoughts became rushed and chaotic. She turned to the only comfort known left to her, and hugged her child as if it were the last thing she were to do.

“Stand aside. Stand aside, girl!” the cold voice rang out behind her. Lily turned and faced her worst nightmare, Voldemort, in her baby’s room. Dumbly, she began to utter what she knew to be her final words.

“Not Harry! Not Harry! Please “ I’ll do anything ““

“Stand aside, you silly girl… stand aside, now….”

“Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!”

“The child will die tonight, and there is nothing you can do about it. Stand aside!”

“Not Harry! Please…have mercy…have mercy….”

“I will not waste my time with you, girl. I am asking you for the last time, stand aside!”

“Not Harry, please no, take me, kill me instead”“

Voldemort flashed a cruel smile at Lily. “Very well, girl. You shall join your husband! AVADA KEDAVRA!” Another jet of green light poured from the wand. A terrible scream rang out through the night, and the baby woke up, adding his own screams to the room.

“That nuisance out of the way, finally, it’s time for me to meet Harry.” Voldemort approached the cradle and peered in. A baby with untidy black hair and green eyes issuing tears was lying there. “You are the end of it all, boy. You are the only one who can possibly unseat me, and after tonight I will be unstoppable.” Voldemort’s mind flashed back to the prophecy that his loyal servant had recounted to him: THE ONE WITH THE POWER TO VANQUISH THE DARK LORD APPROACHES…BORN TO THOSE WHO HAVE THRICE DEFIED HIM, BORN AS THE SEVENTH MONTH DIES…

“You are the key to securing my place. And now, to kill a prophecy...” Voldemort raised his wand and placed it dead center with the boy’s forehead. “Prepare to be reunited with your foolish parents. AVADA KEDAVRA!” The green light poured once more from the wand.
The Beginning by Arthur Weasley
Voldemort had murdered countless foes before this child. Several times had he seen his wand do his evil curse to utterly wipe the life force clean of his opponents. But nothing could prepare him for what he was about to experience. As the light traveled towards the screaming child, a barrier rose up before him. It was not able to be seen, nor did it seem to have been triggered by anyone else, but it was clear to Voldemort as his spell was reflected off of the baby. Instead of killing his target, the spell rebounded and struck…himself.

“AAAHHHHHHH!!!!!!” a terrible scream like no other shattered the silence of Godric’s Hollow. Voldemort was being destroyed as the curse consumed and engulfed his body in green light. Nothing could have been more unexpected for this master of the dark arts. And then, as abruptly as it began, the pain stopped. A ghost without form looked around the room and saw a baby screaming in his cradle, with a lightning shaped cut still bleeding on his forehead.

‘What is this magic?! What’s happened?!’ The ghost had no time to further question this turn of events, however, as a loud noise caught its attention. The house was beginning to crumble and lose support. Panicking, it sought to find an exit, but a crash from behind it caused the ghost to turn around, a strangely different feeling than it was accustomed to experiencing. The door was now blocked by fallen debris. ‘No! NO!!!’ As the house fell around him, the baby screamed continuously, but the wreckage of the house seemed to avoid coming near the cradle, seemingly deflected by the unseen barrier. As the last of the house fell, the ghost simply passed through the building and floated out through the night, unseen by the muggles peering through their windows.

A low rumbling sound began to pierce the quiet that was now present in the absence of the house falling apart. A motorcycle, clearly one out of the ordinary, fell from the sky and landed in front of the wreckage. A tall, handsome man with black hair got up from the seat and took in the sight before him.

“No! NO! It can’t be! It just can’t! Peter, why!” He stood before the house and eventually broke down, sobbing on the street. He didn’t have long to continue his sorrow, however, as muggles began to swarm up towards the remains of the house. A more startling sight began to materialize, however, as a great figure began to rise from the wreckage. At least seven feet tall with a bushy beard and moleskin overcoat was emerging, cradling in his arms the same baby that had been crying earlier. The motorcycle rider, now white and shaking, approached the giant.

“Hagrid…what…what are you doing here?”

“Professor Dumbledore’s orders. I’m here ter take young Harry here to his aunt and uncle.”

“Hagrid, I…I…I can’t believe this.”

“I know, Sirius. Mus’ be hard for yeh, yer friends gone.”

“Yes, I…” the man was unable to control himself and began sobbing once more.

“It’s all righ’, Sirius,” the man called Hagrid consoled as he picked the man called Sirius up into a giant hug.

“Hagrid, could…could I take Harry? He…he is my godson after all.”

“Sorry, Sirius, no can do. Dumbledore himself tol’ me bring him ter his aunt an’ uncle, an’ that’s what I’m here ter do.”

“Please, Hagrid, Harry will be the closest one to me now.” Hagrid raised a suspicious eyebrow at this statement.

“What abou’ Peter? Ain’t you good friends with him?” To Hagrid’s surprise, Sirius’ face suddenly turned to a grim scowl at these words.

“Please, Hagrid, for me. Let me take Harry.”

“I’m sorry, Sirius, got ter take him where Dumbledore said.” These words were met with a long sigh.

“All right, Hagrid. Here, take my bike,” Sirius replied as he gestured toward the vehicle he flew in on.

“What? Yeh sure? Yeh really like that thin’.”

“This is important. Please, take it. Make sure that Harry is safe.”

“Well, all righ’. Guh-bye Sirius.” Hagrid stepped onto the motorcycle and, making sure Harry was secure, drove off out of sight of the muggles and then took off towards the skies. Sirius also walked out of sight of the crowd still peering at the destroyed residence. A large black dog was suddenly in his place and sprinted off into the night.

Hours later, everyone everywhere was joyously repeating the words, “To Harry Potter “ the boy who lived!”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1008