Like Magic by The Marauder
Summary: Two friends owl each other anonymously, and begin to fall in love. When they meet at the dance and discover each other's true identities, will it ruin all, or will everything they've ever wished for come true?
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2917 Read: 2317 Published: 01/12/05 Updated: 01/12/05

1. one-shot by The Marauder

one-shot by The Marauder
“So how does it work exactly?” asked Ginny looking around at her friends skeptically. Valentine's Day was coming, and a group of Ravenclaws had come up with a brilliant idea, which Dumbledore had luckily approved, in hopes that it would be a distraction to all from the impending war.

“What happens is you sign your name, and this quill is enchanted to know everything about you it needs to know, such as your personality, likes, dislikes, what you’re looking for in your significant other, etc. You put it in that vase over there, and then on Friday after the deadline, it spits out a perfect pair!” explained Cassie proudly, “Then, the guy starts off writing a note saying ‘hi’ and the likes, and we send it to his match. Then you guys will stay in correspondence “ anonymously “ as frequently and as long as you would like…and if you feel like you click, then you meet at the Valentine’s Day Masked Ball to discover the true identity of your secret love!”

“Come on Ginny!” urged Hermione as Ron put his arm around her affectionately, “It could be fun!”

Ginny rolled her eyes and looked at Harry who was grinning slightly, enjoying her predicament. They both knew Hermione was certainly not going to relent, and Ron wasn’t about to start a row because of Ginny.

“Alright, alright…but only me? Why aren’t you making Harry do this?”

“What? Why are you dragging me into this?” he asked, brow furrowing, grin slipping slightly.

“She’s right!” exclaimed Hermione, “it’s only fair!” Harry groaned as Ginny beamed.

Harry had taken quite a while to overcome Sirius’ death, as expected, but he had gradually learned to smile again, in great part due to Ginny’s friendship. That summer the two had spent many late nights simply talking. After Ron and Hermione had (finally) become an item, Harry had felt a bit left out, though they tried desperately to include him, and he had been surprised to find solace in Ginny.

“Yah Harry, go on mate, you should do it too!” exclaimed Ron.

Harry narrowed his eyes, “Fine, but only because I don’t have the energy to fight you three right now…” he leaned into Ginny mischievously, “but if this turns into the disaster I’m expecting…”

She smiled and held out her hand, “I’ll owe you…huge.”

Harry pondered it all for a minute and then shook her hand. Ginny turned to the table and sighed apprehensively as she took the quill Cassie handed her; she closed her eyes and prayed Please don’t choose a git… Opening them she glanced up at him in the corner of her eye and finding courage signed her name quickly. With a good-natured grin she handed the quill to Harry and he took a deep breath looking at the blank slip of parchment in front of him. He paused…what if it picks someone horrible? He looked up at Ginny and she smiled reassuringly; his heart skipped a beat, but though he was surprised by his sudden self awareness, he nonetheless still found nerve and signed hastily.

Harry stood up and together they walked over to the vase; as they dropped their names they met eyes and shook their heads at the definite upcoming catastrophe,

Please…

~ * ~ * ~

Saturday morning as owls flew in the Great Hall carrying hundreds of red letters Ginny’s spoon paused halfway to her mouth and her heart stopped. Oh Merlin…this is it… A letter dropped in her lap and she gulped, looking across the table at Harry nervously, before timidly picking up the letter; her face was pale as she carefully opened the parchment.

Hello, I’m not sure exactly what I’m supposed to say…I’m a bit nervous to be honest. This is quite unusual, writing to a perfect stranger! I don’t know what to say to keep it “anonymous” like we’re meant to... I hope to hear back from you!

Ginny gulped, trying to decipher it. He sounded friendly, anxious but kind…

She smiled to herself and then continued eating her breakfast, trying to conceal her blushing cheeks, something she had oddly become quite accustomed to lately. As soon as she was finished eating she hurried up to the common room and began writing quickly.

Hello there! You’re right…this is strange. Hm…well what are your hobbies, your interests? Do you enjoy Quidditch? Are you in any clubs in school? Any unusual quirks I should know about? Haha…well, write back soon!

Harry received the letter before lunch and ripped it open eagerly. She sounded genuinely friendly, and he was amazed to see that Quidditch was one of the first things that had popped into her mind! He answered quickly, this time with a bit more excitement than his first letter.

Hi again! I’m glad to see I didn’t scare you off with my lack of wit in the first letter. Yes, I do love Quidditch immensely! It is probably what I love most about Hogwarts!...

He paused smiling, and then with a renewed fervor, continued writing about his favorite players, teams, moves, games…everything.

…Wow, I hope I haven’t bored you with so much Quidditch, but I’m hoping if we truly are matches that you love it too? If so, what’s your favorite team? Do you play? And here at school, what’s your favorite class? Your least favorite? Write soon!

Ginny read the letter enthusiastically during dinner, and smiled at his obvious passion for Quidditch. She replied quickly, telling all about her favorite team, and getting to see the World Cup.

…I’d have to say my favorite class is Defense Against the Dark Arts, Lupin was the greatest teacher, and I do seem to have a knack for charms as well…and though his lessons aren’t always the most brilliant, I love Hagrid dearly. As for least favorite class, well that’s easy “ Potions of course! What about yourself?

*

You were at the World Cup too? That’s brilliant! Amazing game! And wow, that’s remarkable as well, I’ve always particularly loved Defense Against the Dark Arts, it’s my favorite by far! And you are right again! Lupin was the best teacher, and it shows a big heart that you love Hagrid. I’m also thrilled to hear you hate Potions “ I know we aren’t supposed to say houses, but due to your comments I am going to assume (gratefully) that you are indeed, not a Slytherin!

*

Haha, no…I am most definitely not a Slytherin. So have you considered any careers after Hogwarts?

*

Well…the only thing I’ve ever really considered being is an Auror. It’s going to be tough, getting high enough marks, in Potions especially, but I’m up for the challenge I think. How about yourself?


With each letter she received Ginny’s heart leaped. He had opened up now, and she was falling in love with this mystery guy. She scrambled for parchment and a quill to write back to him. He was all she ever though about; every morning she hurried down to breakfast and waited impatiently for the familiar owl to fly in. It seemed all she did in her free time was read and respond to his letters. Both thirsted for knowledge of the other, and waited anxiously for the next correspondence.

Harry and Ginny hadn’t showed each other their letters, as the rules insisted, but both had noticed the other’s more content and relaxed behavior. Whenever she was around Harry she tried to read him, to discern his feelings “ it had become quite clear in fact; he smiled more, and she caught him writing zealously with a slight smile on his countenance…apparently he was not writing for school. Harry watched Ginny write as well, and he grinned as he saw her happily scribbling away. Perhaps this wouldn’t turn out to be a disaster for either of them after all...

~ * ~ * ~ Valentine’s Day ~ * ~ * ~

“Wow,” said Hermione, “You look absolutely stunning Gin.” She was standing in front of the mirror, wearing long, flowing, champagne colored robes. They set off her skin tone beautifully, and the cut accented her slender figure and her slight curves.

Ginny smiled shyly, “Thanks, you look great too.”

Hermione beamed, “Okay, put on your mask, let me see!” Ginny did and gasped as she saw the result. The mask was beautiful “ it was covered in small, cream pearls and she hardly recognized her nose and mouth. Hermione tilted her head, a small frown across her face.

“What?” asked Ginny, spirits depressed.

“Oh, nothing,” said Hermione, “You look beautiful, I was just thinking. Do you want it to be a secret who you are at first? It’s just…I love your hair and I’m deadly jealous of it,” she laughed, “but, well…that fiery Weasley red is a dead giveaway.” Both girls looked at Ginny’s reflection, pondering her hair for a moment…and Hermione suddenly smiled mischievously, “What if…”

Ginny raised her eyebrows questioningly and Hermione muttered something under her breath. Both gasped at the transformation. Ginny’s usually fiery red hair was now a sleek jet black. It was astounding. Even without the mask, her own mother would have done a double take before recognizing her youngest daughter. Once the shock set in the two girls grinned, “Perfect.”

~ * ~

Harry waited at the bottom of the stairs, just as they’d planned. She would be holding a rose, and meet him there at exactly 8:00. He looked at his watch impatiently…it was time. He glanced up and his breath caught as his eyes fell upon the most beautiful girl he had ever seen standing at the top of the steps. She stared at him for a moment, completely shocked to find Harry Potter waiting. She had a tight dress and a beautiful matching mask. Her silky black hair was in an extravagant twist, and he could only stare as she finally smiled brightly and gracefully descended the stairs. She came face to face with him, and he couldn’t move, he could only gawk at her radiance. After just staring at her he suddenly realized he hadn’t breathed and inhaled sharply,

“Wow…” he breathed and she tilted her head and looked at him, smiling amusedly, “er…I mean, hi…” he said, blushing violently…dang it…Harry couldn’t find any words, and stared awkwardly at the ground.

As Harry examined the tile in the floor, Ginny blinked rapidly, unable to believe it. Thinking back through their many letters she realized that all signs had pointed to him; she shook her head slightly…she had convinced herself she was over him…they were just friends, but as she looked at him again all the feelings came flooding back and she realized she would never be “over” Harry Potter…he was the only one for her…

After an uncomfortable silence Ginny spoke up, “Well, shall we?”

He looked relieved and held out his hand for her to take. As soon as she touched it both gasped and met eyes as a shock tingled from their fingertips through their bodies. His hand closed around hers and she smiled; it fit perfectly. As they walked through the halls, Ginny beamed in complete ecstasy…it was as if all her dreams had come true.

When they entered the Great Hall, couples around them seemed to stare jealously at the couple. Harry grinned around at his peers nervously, cheeks reddening even more than before, Thank Merlin it’s dark, he thought. He spotted Ron and Hermione and headed over,

“Hey Ron, Hermione…this is…er…” he looked at her confused…

“…his mystery date,” Ginny answered.

Harry laughed, “Alright, yes, my mystery date.”

Hermione stared at Ginny in shock for a moment before shaking herself back into reality, “Nice to meet you,” she said, winking as Harry admired Ginny. Ron caught it and looked at her confused. She leaned in, whispering something in his ear and he furrowed his brows, looking at her as if she was insane. He glanced carelessly back at Ginny and then did a double take, gaping; he didn’t react for a moment, but as recognition set in he positively beamed at his baby sister…

~ * ~

It was odd, Harry not knowing who she was. Part of her begged to cry out, ‘it’s me!’, but the stronger part was a bit apprehensive…What if he finds out it’s me, and changes his mind? Besides, she thought, this way will be much more fun, and a much bigger surprise if I wait…just a bit longer… It was now nearly midnight and the two had been dancing for hours. They started somewhat awkwardly, a great deal of space between their bodies, but he had gradually pulled her closer, and she was now resting her head on his shoulder, arms wound tightly around his neck, eyes closed. He rested his head on hers and smelled the gentle fragrance of her hair. The music ended and both clung a moment longer, not wishing the song to end. She finally released him, and without thinking he leaned down and kissed her on the cheek.

“Do you want to talk a walk?” he asked, nodding his head toward the open door. She smiled and nodded, taking his hand. They found a secluded spot and the music quietly drifted outside. He held out his hand and she giggled, taking it.

“So…” he whispered in her ear as they swayed back and forth to the rhythm of the melody, “You know who I am…when do I find out who you are?”

She shrugged and smiled at him mischievously, but her heartbeat doubled as she realized the time had come “ she couldn’t put it off much longer.

He laughed, somewhat disappointed, “Alright then, but you’re going to have to tell me eventually you know…” he paused, and then slowly began to lean in... Wait! She backed away slightly, looking at him nervously…it was now or never…

“Wait…” she said, hands touching her mask gingerly. His previously embarrassed face rose as he looked up hopefully, dying to know her true identity. She took a deep breath, and before reaching for her mask, took the pin out of her hair and shook it out. He looked at her curiously and she sighed, “Harry, I think I’ve always loved you…” In one fluid movement she quickly removed her mask, and whispered the spell under her breath, transforming the deep black tresses into her own fiery red, “…but I know I always will.”

Harry’s mouth fell open as she looked up at him apprehensively. He couldn’t move; he couldn’t react. Ginny…he thought…it was her all along? It’s been Ginny this whole time?… he blinked at the beautiful girl standing before him, not only had he fallen in love with her wit, her sense of humor, and her understanding through her letters, but since the Department of Mysteries he had admired her silent strength, her bravery, her compassion, and her love for her friends. Suddenly his brain registered and he realized what she’d said…she loves me? In an instant it him, I love her too…I’m in love with Ginny…he swallowed and opened his mouth, but no sound came out. He tried again, but couldn’t speak. Aghast he noticed a tear trickle down her cheek and realized what she was thinking, no…Ginny…

“I’m sorry Harry,” she tried to compose her voice, but failed miserably, “I should go…” she sobbed, turning to leave, but was stopped as he finally took control of his body and grabbed her arm. She took a shuddering breath, but as she turned to face him she was met with his lips as he pulled her in firmly, kissing her passionately, hands cupping her head gently. When they finally parted she leaned against his forehead for support, and their hands found each other, fingers intertwining.

“I’m so in love with you Ginny…” he breathed, and she sobbed again, but this time with tears of joy; he wiped them gently from her face as she laughed. “I think…I think I knew it was you…somehow…” he whispered, mesmerized by her beauty. She looked up into his eyes, her own swimming with tears, and smiled. She closed her eyes and leaned towards him, kissing him again. His kiss was like no other she had ever felt before; it was beautiful and pure, tender and sweet…it was like magic.




A/N: Sorry that got so long guys...i just kept going and going, but i didn't want to make it chaptered...Please do review as each and every comment i get makes my day! I really do appreciate it and it makes me want to write more fun stories!

A/N 2: haha, also, if you guys want more romance, I have a bunch of other stories (much better than this one i think actually), so just check ou
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=10212