All's Well That Ends Well? by Shock
Summary: James and Lily-their seventh year. We all know what happens in the end, but what about the beginning? In their last year at Hogwarts, mysteries unravel, friends are betrayed, and, of course, couples destined to be fall in love.

Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 21 Completed: No Word count: 52912 Read: 123582 Published: 01/23/05 Updated: 07/19/06

1. Ends and Beginnings by Shock

2. Familiarity by Shock

3. Black by Shock

4. Enter the Marauders by Shock

5. Talks and Tunnels by Shock

6. Tutors and Scammers by Shock

7. The Startings of the S.M.S.O.B. by Shock

8. Starry Night by Shock

9. Shadows by Shock

10. Hovering Death by Shock

11. Wormtail's Tale by Shock

12. Shattering Dreams: Part I. by Shock

13. Shattering Dreams: Part II. by Shock

14. Shattering Dreams: Part III. by Shock

15. Shattering Dreams: Part IV. by Shock

16. Reunion by Shock

17. Confusion by Shock

18. Prongs, Thoughts, and McGonagall: Part I. by Shock

19. Prongs, Thoughts, and McGonagall: Part II: Endymion Lucent. by Shock

20. Prongs, Thoughts, and McGonagall: Part III. by Shock

21. Prongs, Thoughts, and McGonagall: Part IV. by Shock

Ends and Beginnings by Shock
“Is this true?” An icy voice split the night air.

“Ye--yes, of course, my lord! I am your loyal spy and of course I have my connections with the Potters an--”

“Very well. I will have Bella, my more dependable Death Eater, double-check your information. If what you tell me is true and I successfully carry out my plans, I daresay Wormtail, that your reward shall indeed be great. Now go, and help the others track down those insolent Longbottoms.”

“Yes my lord. I am glad that my information has pleased you.” Wormtail’s squeaky voice sounded much relieved, for Voldemort’s snake-like face had twisted itself into an evil and almost hungry grin.
“AHHHH!”
A woman suddenly cried out in her sleep and woke with a start. Her almond-shaped, startling green eyes sprang open as she jumped awake from her sleep.

“Lily! Lily, honey, are you all right? What’s happened? You’re covered in sweat--are you sick? Should I send for a healer or-”
“I’m fine, James, I’m fine. I just….had a very weird dream.” Lily Potter smiled softly and looked up at her husband. James Potter had come running out of the adjacent room. He heaved a sigh of relief and pulled his wife into a loving hug. He gently stroked her beautiful red hair.

“Don’t scare me like that,” he murmured. Lily rested her head on her husband’s shoulder.

“Is Harry asleep?”

“Yes, but barely. You nearly woke him up again!” laughed James. But then he said, rather seriously,” I think he feels our nervousness. Even though he’s just a baby…”
James glanced at Lily and saw that she looked strained.

“Well, he must be coming on to his ol’ man and becoming a genius at a very young age!”

Lily laughed. James could be so arrogant and funny at times. That was part of the reason she loved him so much.

Suddenly, she felt so hopeless and so lost that tears started to well up in her eyes.

“What is this? Lily Potter crying!” James said in a fake surprised voice. Lily merely sniffed.

“Now look Evans, stop being such a water lily,” James joked.

Lily smiled through her tears. It had been a while since James had called her water lily and even longer since he had called her by her maiden name. James always called her water lily whenever she became depressed and began to cry. She thought back to how the nickname had come about. James had made up the nickname when she had cried so hard one time in seventh year that he claimed that her tears would create a river and make her float--like a water lily.

Baby Harry began to cry in the other room. James let go of Lily.

“I’ll go soothe him,” said James. In the kitchen, a teapot began to whistle loudly.

“And I’ll go fetch us some tea,” Lily said brightly. Lily walked down the hall in half a daze from waking up so suddenly. She shivered. Why did house seemed so cold and dark tonight?

She reached the whistling teapot on the stove. That whistling….it sounded familiar to Lily somehow….hmmm. Then it hit her. It sounded just like the Hogwarts Express. The Hogwarts Express…..

And Lily found her memory flying back in time to what seemed to her like a million years ago as she fondly, and yet sadly, thought back to the first day of her last year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry……..

Seventeen-year-old Lily Evans calmly walked through the barrier of Platform 9 ¾. The rest of her family also followed through. Even though this was their seventh time passing through the barrier, they still showed amazement at it.

They are Muggles after all, thought Lily.

“We’ll miss you so much dear! We’re so proud of you.” Mr. and Mrs. Evans wrapped their daughter into a hug. Lily’s sister, Petunia Evans, looked jealously over their shoulders.

“I'll miss you too Mum, Dad.” As much as Lily wanted to spend the last minutes with her family before the train took off , she couldn’t. It wasn’t because of her new responsibilities of becoming Head Girl, but it was because someone had threatened her at the end of her sixth year to meet her and her parents here at the station and say a friendly hello. Lily grew sick and excited at the thought of it. She had to hurry and get away from her family before-

“You should be proud Mr. and Mrs. Evans. She was made Head Girl after all.”

Lily spun around and nearly collapsed from shock to find that the one and only James Potter, the one person she had been trying to avoid, was standing inches away from her.

Oh no.

“And who is this charming young gentleman Lily?” inquired Mrs. Evans.

“Nobody!” said Lily as she tried to push James away. He was too strong however and stood rooted to the spot as Lily panted with the effort to try and move him.

Damn Quidditch made him too strong for his own good thought Lily furiously.

“Lily, what are you doing? --Nice to meet you…er…”

“James Potter ma’am. Nice to meet you… Yes, nice to meet you too Mr. Evans… No, no the pleasure is all mine.”

He is such a suck-up!

“Go away Potter!”

“Lily! That’s no way to talk to someone!”

“Sorry Mum but-”

“Yeah Evans! What were you thinking?”

“Shut up Potter or I’ll curse you!”

“Lily!”

“Sorry Dad but-”

“Did I mention that I will be working with Evans this year? I was made Head Boy you see.”

“Don’t you dare lie to my parents Potter!”

“Lily, why are you being so rude to him?”

“Yeah honey. Why so rude so suddenly?”

“Potter, I’m warning you!”

“Hey Lily!”

“WHAT?”

“Well someone is a tad bit cranky today.”

Lily turned to her right and found someone much better than James Potter facing her. It was Anne, one of Lily’s best friends. She was staring at Lily through her keen black eyes with one eyebrow raised. Her black hair glistened in the sun. Lily loved her hair. It was short and flared in the back. It made her look even more formidable than she already did. She was taller and leaner than Lily and usually had her arms crossed and gave strangers the “if you touch me, I’ll curse you” kind of look.

“Sorry Anne.” Lily blushed out of guilt and embarrassment. “How was your summer?”

“Not bad. Hey there Mrs. Evans, Mr. Evans….. Petunia. And Potter! How lovely.”

“Not really,” Lily said forcefully. She made to try and push James away again.

“Wait, hold on! I didn’t even get to say hi to your sister!”

“No! Just-- let’s go. Now.” But it was too late. James had already extended his hand out to Petunia.

“James Potter. Nice to meet you.”

Petunia took a step back and looked at James’s hand as if it was a dead rat. Five seconds passed and James’s smile faltered. Lily’s parents were looking uncomfortable.

“Er… maybe not.” James began to withdraw his hand.

“No.” Lily stopped James’s hand. Something had quite unexpectedly sprung up in her. It was anger. Her sister could be as rude as she wanted to everyone else, but not Potter. Lily was the only person allowed to give that kind of a look to him.

“Petunia, say hi. This is James Potter, my friend.” James looked at Lily in shock but Anne looked merely amused.

“Say hi Petunia.” Lily’s voice was dangerously low.

“Hello,” Petunia grumbled after shooting a mean glance at her sister.

“Well, er, have a great year honey,” Mrs. Evans said, obviously trying to break the cold ice.

“Oh… yeah. ‘Bye Mum and Dad!” Lily hugged them both.

“It was nice meeting you Mr. Potter.” James smiled. Lily was relieved. If he was still able to smile, then it meant that he wasn’t very angry.

The three of them saw the Evans off to the barrier. After they had disappeared, Lily stomped away to the train and got lost in the crowd.

Why the hell did I stand up for Potter like that?



A/N: My first fanfic ever! Please review!

A/N that was written way after the A/N above this one: I'm starting to see fanfics where they start on the night James and Lily dies--hmmm, sort of like MINE. I'M THE ONE WHO STARTED IT MWA HA HA HA....
Familiarity by Shock
A/N: Just to warn any readers, Anne is an Asian but she is NOT, I REPEAT, NOT BASED ON CHO CHANG! She's actually based on my best friend slash heroine. She's not even Chinese as a matter of fact; she's Korean.

“She actually stood up for me. Ho-ly-shi--”

“She did, didn’t she.”

James jumped and turned to find Anne standing next to him with her arms crossed and smiling a very dignified looking smile.

“Oh! Hey Wu. Er-forgot that you…were…there…”

James voice trailed off as his hazel eyes searched for Lily’s glowing red hair. Anne stared at him for a while and then slapped him sharply across the arm.

“OW! What the hell was that for!” James shouted as he furiously rubbed his arm and stood on his tip-toes as he tried to catch a glimpse of Lily.

Anne gave James the evil eye.

“First of all, I’m not accustomed to being ignored like I’m some misbehaved house elf. Second of all, I don’t like you checking out my best friend. And third of all -” Anne slapped James once more ("OW WOMAN!"), grabbed him by the arm, and spun him around to face her. “I think your six years of chasing around Lily are about to pay off.”

James stopped trying to find Lily with Anne’s final sentence.

“What are you talking about, Wu?” James said slowly. His heart had suddenly started to beat very fast.

But Anne was not a person to be toyed with and decided to torment James and let him figure it out for himself, and before James could say another word, she gave him a piercing stare, turned gracefully on her heels, and disappeared into the crowd.

James stood there with his mouth slightly open before shaking himself and walking into the crowd himself, muttering “women.”

Lily had stepped into the train and had started walking down the length of it trying to find someone she knew. She was still blushing madly at the thought that she, Lily Evans, had stood up for him, James Potter, the Marauder, the he-fiend, the devil, the lump of messy hair, the stupid four-eyed crazy tall smart handsome-”

No! Not tall, well okay, so he’s a tiny bit taller than me, so what? And he is pretty smart… in a really bad and evil way! And he is not handsome! Handsome in a friggin hippogriff’s rear end! Grrr…

She stopped mid-step and mid-thought for she had finally found a familiar face. In a compartment sitting alone was Lily’s other close friend, Alice.

“Lily hon! Hi!”

Lily smiled and stepped into the compartment. It had been a long time since they had been together without Frank Longbottom, Alice’s boyfriend. Frank was a year older than them and had finished his seventh year already.

“Alice, I missed you so much over summer! How are you?”

Lily looked at her round-faced friend. She had been a little angry at Alice for not writing to her or Anne all summer but her anger faded as she looked into Alice’s kind, warm eyes.

“It was okay. I’m so sorry I didn’t write! But I was with Frank and I wanted to spend all the time we could get together since we wouldn’t be seeing each other at all this year and I just completely forgot-- well I didn’t forget! But---”

“I understand. I thought that it might be something like that. You’ll just have to really plead with Anne though because she’s really pissed, not to mention feeling betrayed.”

“That’s right.”

Lily and Alice turned in their seats to find Anne leaning on the side of the wall. She walked in, closed the door and sat next to Lily, opposite of Alice.

“You put us off again for that stupid Longbottom, didn’t you?”

“He’s not stu--” but Alice cut off her sentence as Lily gave her a look that plainly said “don’t do it if you don’t want the life beaten out of you.”

Alice cleared her throat.

“I’m really sorry. I just wanted to be with Frank, that’s all.” Alice gave Anne the teary-eyed puppy dog face.

“No!” Anne screamed, causing people passing by to stare. Anne shut her eyes tightly and pursed her lips.

“You know that face always melts me! Evil witch.” Anne opened her eyes slowly and smiled. The three of them burst into laughter. The trio had been reunited again.

“Ooh Lily! You’ve been made Head Girl? Congratulations!” Alice squealed upon sighting the Head Girl badge proudly pinned to her robes.

“Yeah…” Lily flushed with pleasure.

“Lily.”

Lily turned to look at Anne. She was giving her a serious glare.

Uh-oh, Lily thought instantly. That glare only meant one thing: she had forgotten something extremely important….

“OH MY GOSH! I have to be in the Heads' compartment with the others!” screeched Lily. “I’ll catch you guys later!” and with that, she rushed out the door.

Anne and Alice looked after her, sighed, and began to chat. They were used to Lily’s forgetful nature. She was even more forgetful than Alice and that was saying something.

She was so late! The train had started to move five minutes before. Lily tore down the hall, shoving people aside, upsetting cages, and literally making a first year fly five feet in the air because she had thrown him aside.

“Sorry!” she yelled over her shoulder.

“Well well well. Angel Head Girl Evans not as sweet and innocent today?”
Lily stopped dead in her tracks.

She faced the speaker.

Bellatrix Black.



A/N: I know I know; eveything is short so far but it gets better soon! I promise. In the meantime, please review!
Black by Shock
“Bellatrix.”

Lily turned to face a Slytherin seventh year with long, glossy dark hair to match her equally dark and hooded eyes; they were strangely hollow and cold looking. They reminded Lily of endless unlit corridors that swallowed her in the darkness. Sometimes they sprang to life with a maniacal glint that gave Lily the chills. Pale-faced and thin-mouthed, Bellatrix Black would have been extremely beautiful if it hadn’t been for a certain aura of insanity surrounding her.

“I can’t believe it. Head Girl? You? Hah! Well I suppose I should be congratulating you,” Bellatrix smirked maliciously, “In fact, I think I should give you a little good luck gift to start your new job,” she slowly slid out her wand from the depths of her robes.

“No thanks,” said Lily coolly, “I really don’t have time to chat, unfortunately. So, if you’ll excuse me,” Lily knew that Bellatrix was only looking for a reason to start a fight with her.

Ever since their second year, Bellatrix had loathed Lily. Bellatrix had developed a habit of trying to curse Alice in the corridors. Of course, Lily hadn’t been able to just stand around and merely watch someone abuse another person. She had stood up for Alice, and, in the process, gained Bellatrix’s hate along with Alice’s friendship.

Lily turned to leave but was cut off mid-step by a red jet of light.

“And where exactly do you think you’re going? I haven’t finished congratulating you,” Bellatrix whispered menacingly, twirling her wand with her long pale fingers.

Lily silently faced her.

“I don’t think you want to keep me back just to express your joy for me Bellatrix,” she said grimly, “you know that I won’t fight you-”

Bellatrix fired another jet of light. It grazed past Lily’s cheek by mere inches and created a small black hole in the wall behind her. Swirling black smoke began to emanate from it.

“We’ll see about that.”

People were starting to poke their heads out of their compartments to see what all the commotion was about.

“Fight me.” Bellatrix took a step forward, her eyes flashing dangerously.

“No. I have no reason to.”

There were two things Lily Evans held strong on. One was her solid hate for bullying innocent people. The other was her conviction that duels which occurred from quarrels and squabbles were absolutely meaningless. Bellatrix could talk and even hex her as much as she wanted. Lily would never sway in her decision not to fight.

Hate and lunacy began to flood Bellatrix's eyes.

“Fight me, now.” She would make that stupid Mudblood fight. The fact that Lily wouldn't fight tempted her even more. She would curse her so painfully that the mere thought of it made her glow with excitement. They would duel whether the Mudblood wanted to or not. The superior blood would prevail over the worthless mixed blood...

“Fight me. Fight me now, you piece of filth!" The volume of Bellatrix's voice increased sharply; she began to take quick, shallow breathes.

Lily didn’t answer but gave her a strange look. Was it pity? She turned once again to leave. Three things happened in that following split second. Someone screamed “WATCH OUT!” and gave Lily a strong push, causing her to topple down to the ground. An explosive “BOOM!” followed, and the crowd that had been watching gave a loud gasp. Lily felt something wet spray her face.

She quickly looked up to find James with a deep gash across his left cheek. Lily’s hand sprang to her own cheek. She wiped some of the liquid that had showered her. Blood…James’s blood…

The tip of Bellatrix’s wand was smoking, and her face was twisted in anger and disappointment.

“You made me miss, Potter.” Bellatrix pronounced every syllable slowly and quietly, as if she would explode if she spoke any louder. “Keep out of this and go away so that I can curse your little girlfriend properly. Or maybe… I should have a double-duel,” her face broke into a grin so suddenly that Lily jumped. “Yes, that sounds good. Double-duel for Bella."

James whipped out his own wand and aimed.

”Back off, Black,” he warned in a dangerously low tone. He prepared to fire a curse at her.

“No! Potter-don’t!” Lily pulled herself up from the floor and grabbed James’s wand arm. She wasn’t sure why she was stopping James. All she knew was that when she had seen his blood on her own face and hands, a horror like no other had filled her. James shot her a surprised, quizzical look.

"Evans, what are you doing? She's threatening us, and she's already started attacking you!"

"I don't care Potter!" Lily replied forcefully, "When will you finally figure out that it's wrong and stupid to fall into fights like this. I don't want anyone getting hurt just because of me. I don't want trouble!"

James stared at her closely. Lily made eye contact with him in that millimeter of a second. His eyes were so soft and warm. Before she knew what was happening, she felt herself falling into them. She willed herself to fall into those comforting eyes, so different from the cold ones Bellatrix had.

James slowly lowered his wand. His eyes continued to capture Lily, but she was pushed violently out of her trance as Bellatrix began to laugh maniacally.

“So everyone is leaving poor Bella alone like this? Come, come now! Bella wants to play! Bella wants to fight! What’s wrong Potter? Getting soft? I don’t remember you being so sweet to dear old Severus.”

“Get a life,” James retorted coldly. He took a hold of Lily’s arm and began to leave. But Bellatrix wasn’t satisfied.

"YOU TWO AREN'T GOING ANYWHERE!" she shrieked, aiming straight at Lily and James. Suddenly, before Lily even had a chance to blink, a gigantic ball of purple light had erupted from the tip of Bellatrix's wand.

James was ready this time. He flung Lily and himself down flat onto the floor. The spell hit the compartment wall, causing the whole train to tremble from the impact. An inky black cloud of smoke arose and quickly pervaded the hall.

Everyone in the vicinity started coughing. The cloud seemed to have a stinging and choking hex combined into one. James and Lily got the worst of it. Lily had dropped to her knees because she was coughing so hard. Her throat burned as if it was on fire, and she wanted nothing more than to rip it out. Her eyes were watering and felt as if a thousand insects were biting into them. She needed to stop this. The other students were suffering too, but she couldn’t even remember where her wand was. The pain was so intense…

She distantly heard James’s voice mutter something. The cloud was lifting, and the pain was disappearing.

She collapsed onto the floor and felt someone grab her by the shoulders.

Lily! Lily, wake up! Wake up…

The ceiling began to spin in front of Lily, and then the world went black.

A/N: PLEASE REVIEW!
Enter the Marauders by Shock
“She’s going to be okay, right?”

“Of course she is! I’m telling you, the next time I see that stupid Bella-bitch-”

“Shh! I think she’s waking up!”

Voices swam in and out of Lily’s head as she tried to open her eyes. She felt extremely groggy and could feel a dull pounding in her head. She groaned and opened one eye to see Alice’s and Anne’s faces swim in and out of focus.

“Anne? Alice?”

The two girls heaved a sigh of relief.

“Lily! Thank Merlin, you’re finally awake,” Alice whispered in a shaky voice.

“I told you that she was okay,” growled Anne, who was very pale in the face and looked extremely relieved.

“What happened? Where am I?” Lily tried to sit up, suddenly realizing that she was in a bed.

I must be in the hospital wing, but why the heck am I in here? Lily thought confusedly. She slowly opened the other eye, and the images of her friends’ faces and her surroundings began to sharpen and take definite form.

“Hey! Don’t get up, that was some curse that that snake put on you and Potter.”

Anne’s words jogged Lily’s memory, and she remembered in a flash everything that had occurred on the train. She suddenly sat straight up in her bed, causing Anne and Alice to jump back in surprise.

“What happened to Potter?” Lily’s heart was beating very fast. What if something serious had happened to him? It would be all her fault if he had gotten hurt. He had been trying to protect her. The very thought of it made her heart race, as if she had been dropped off an edge of a cliff.

“Don’t worry, James is fine. See, look for yourself,” Alice pointed to the bed right next to Lily’s.

She twisted her head to find James sleeping peacefully next to her. The gash Bellatrix had given him had vanished, returning his cheek back to its remarkably smooth and lustrous look. Lily let out a deep breath. He was okay.

Lily sank back into her pillows and took a closer look at her surroundings. Besides a couple of lighted candles dotting the walls and the pale moonlight flooding in through the arched windows, the hospital wing was thrown in darkness. None of the other beds were occupied.

“And Bellatrix, what happened to her?” Lily inquired after a moment.

At the sound of Bellatrix’s name, Anne scowled, and Alice’s normally happy and cheerful expression melted into anger.

“She’s not getting punished,” they muttered darkly.

“WHAT?”

“Yeah. We don’t get it either. I think that snake has some pretty powerful connections that we don’t know about,” Anne said shrewdly.

“It’s not fair! That curse she put on you and James nearly choked you guys to death, punctured a big hole in the train’s wall, made a bunch of other kids sick-”

“Other kids? Are they okay?” Lily asked in a worried tone. Alice and Anne beamed.

“They’re all fine Lily, so don’t go worrying your pretty little head off.” They were extremely used to Lily’s caring nature. That very characteristic was what had united them in the first place after all. Lily grinned sheepishly.

“So how long have I been in here anyways?”

“Not that long actually. I think the feast is still going on. Don’t worry, you’ve been excused from your duties for tonight,” said Anne, reading Lily’s worried expression correctly.

“Good,” Lily sighed, “I suppose Dumbledore brought us here.”

“Yeah. That’s another weird thing. Dumbledore knows it’s Bellatrix, but he didn’t do anything to her! Not even a bloody detention!”

Anne was about to go ranting on about how Dumbledore was going senile, when the door to the hospital wing slammed open, and the dark shapes of three seventh year Gryffindor boys framed the doorway. Their bodies cast an impressive shadow that stretched across the length of the hospital wing. The sudden burst of light that had erupted from the open door made the three girls squint blindly.

"Prongs!" they all shouted in unison. The tallest of the boys glanced over at the limp form of his best friend laying on the bed next to Lily's. He, followed by the other two boys, marched over to where James lay. As the group huddled around James, they seemed to form a protective barrier, a solid wall; nothing seemed capable of penetrating their sturdy forms.

Lily knew that group all too well. They were the Marauders, James’ gang of fellow mayhem wreakers. Apart from the fact that they ganged up on others occasionally, Lily couldn’t help but admire the loyalty and strong bond that seemed to pulse through them.


There was handsome Sirius Black, James’s best friend and partner in crime. Even though he was Bellatrix’s cousin, his personality was completely the opposite from hers. For one thing, he wasn’t a power-hungry, blood-obsessed Slytherin. He was very loud, out-going, and arrogant-- but his arrogance had lessened significantly over the years. He was actually growing out of the habit of coaxing on James to hex people and hexing students himself.

Second in line was Remus Lupin, an equally charming but much less arrogant Marauder. Lily had gotten to know him better while serving as a prefect with him. However, two things about Remus puzzled Lily.

One was his relationship to Anne. Lily didn’t know exactly why or how, but Remus and Anne had always been very close. They seemed to be able to read each other’s mind. Their personalities were so different and yet, they fit perfectly together. The chemistry and teamwork between the two were amazing sometimes. They were easily the among smartest students in the whole school and were known to be seen together in the common room studying late into the night. Other than Lily and Alice, Anne hung out with Remus the most. Most of the time Lily would see them chatting happily, but sometimes they would just walk silently together as if words were not important to them, and all they needed was each other’s company. They looked like two innocent and pure doves in those moments.

Lily never understood why they never went out-- they seemed destined to be. Lily had questioned Anne about the issue once, but all she had said was:
“If you don’t ask me about Remus, I won’t ask you about Potter,” Lily had never brought up the subject again.

Lily was also interested in why Remus disappeared once a month. He claimed it was because of a sick relative, but something still seemed fishy.

Third, and most definitely last of all, was Peter Pettigrew. Lily thought he was nice little boy but didn’t understand why he hung out with the Marauders. Small, mousy-looking, and definitely not as intelligent as the others, he seemed oddly out of place with the three most popular, good-looking, and sought-after students of Hogwarts.

The three boys had crouched down around James’s bed.

“WHO THE HELL DID THIS TO PRONGS?” shouted Sirius. Madam Pomfrey shot a threatening glare at him from her office window.

“Calm down, Padfoot. I don’t think it’s such a good idea to go screaming your head off right now,” Remus said placatingly.

“I don’t care! I want to know and curse whoever did this! Who would have the damn nerve to touch a Marauder?” cursed Sirius, even though his tone was now much lower.

“Wow Padfoot. You have one hell of a loud voice,” James grumbled, as he blearily opened his eyes.

“James!” squeaked Peter. Remus gave a relieved grin, but Sirius was beside himself.

He grabbed James’s collar and whispered dangerously, “Who did this to you? Tell me so I can go curse them good.”

“Sirius, you’re going to choke him!” Peter trembled.

“BACK OFF!” Sirius had a crazy glint in his eyes to match Bellatrix’s. “Was it her? Was my good for nothing cousin?”

“It was,” Anne answered, giving Sirius a serious look, “as you might have heard, your loving cousin attacked Lily and Potter on the train.”

Sirius let go of a very hassled looking James and rushed over to Anne. He looked her straight in the eye.

“So it is true. Well, then, that settles it,” he said after a while. Everyone gave Sirius a questioning look.

“LET’S GO KICK HER ARSE!”

He tried to fling himself towards the door, but Anne quickly grabbed the neck of his robes. Sirius choked and landed hard on the floor, knocking the wind out of himself.

“We’re not going to go kick anyone’s arse, no matter how much we want to. We’re going to stay here and look after our friends,” Anne said coolly, peering down at the gasping Sirius.

“Anne, we have to go though. We have duties tonight,” Remus reminded her.

“Oh that’s right! I forgot. Sorry Moony,” Anne grimaced. Besides the Marauders, Anne was the only one allowed to call Remus by his nick-name.

“Duties? What duties?” Lily started to ask, but then gasped as she spotted the shiny prefects badge attached to Anne’s robes. “Oh Anne, you’ve been made prefect! Congratulations! Why didn’t you tell me?” Lily questioned in an excited, but slightly hurt tone.

“I wanted to surprise you. I was going to meet you in the Heads Compartment, but that stupid Black, no offense Sirius-," Sirius, still flat on the floor, gave her a thumbs up,"- ruined my plans.”

Lily smiled. Anne was notoriously well-known for coming up with her “plans.” Sometimes her plans were formulated to get revenge, but most of the time it was to give a nice surprise to people.

Sirius raised himself from the ground, rubbing his neck.

“I still don’t know why we can’t go and beat the crap out of her, after what she did to James and Lily. If I had only been there! I would have-”

But they never found out what Sirius would have done because Madam Pomfrey had stormed out of her office.

“OUT! Out now, you five! These two need rest, not violent plots of revenge! Out!” And with that, Madam Pomfrey conjured two large fly-swatters that smacked the whole group towards the door.

“Bye you guys,” called James and Lily. They were answered by a lot of “OW’s!” and curse words. The door slammed behind them, and Madam Pomfrey huffed back to her office.

“Our friends, ya gotta love’em,” grinned James.

“Yeah. They’re great,” Lily beamed.

They looked at one another, and a sudden awkwardness arose between them. Lily’s heart skipped a beat, and she was pretty sure that it wasn’t because she was injured.

“Er, so you’re okay, right Evans?” asked James tentatively.

“Yes. Um, look. You shouldn’t have jumped in like that. It’s-it’s bad to start fights, and you know it! Besides, you could have really gotten in trouble or hurt or something…” Lily voice trailed off as she stared at James. A beam of pallid moonlight was glinting off of his glasses.

Dear Merlin, he’s fine. Wait! No- he‘s not, he‘s not, he‘s not…

“Why, you’re welcome Evans. I was glad to save you from being hexed into oblivion, and I am very happy that you’re thanking me for it,” James joked.

“Oh shut up Potter,” Lily grumbled guiltily. James continued to smile.

“Oh all right, all right. Thank you Potter,” Lily said in a mock sweet voice.

“You are very welcome Lily darling.” Lily’s stomach did a small flip.

“Wait, did you just call me Lily?”

“Huh? No!” James hesitated, then laughed. “You’ll always be Evans to me.”

“Good,” Lily said in a threatening tone. But for some reason, she felt disappointment filling her.

“But…” James spoke suddenly, “I sort of wish that I could call you Lily. I wish that I could always protect you. And I still hope that that day will come Evans.”

Lily felt her heart jump to her throat. For a second, she wanted to tell him something other than that he was an arrogant know-it-all, to tell him that she didn’t know why she was constantly running away, but she quickly gave herself a mental slap.

“Don‘t say things like that Potter. You… you don‘t mean it.” After a slight pause, she whispered, “You can’t catch me.”

She heard James swallow.

“I’m sorry,” he rolled over and fell silent.

Lily felt her heart sinking down into the depths of her stomach as if pulled by quicksand.

Me too

A/N: A lot of talk, not much action. As I said, things don’t fully start until the next chapter. I’m very fond of this chapter’s title. It reminds me of a Bruce Lee movie- “Enter the Dragon”. But anyways, please review and tell me what you think will happen! I’m curious to know!
Talks and Tunnels by Shock
It was late, nearly eleven at night, as Lily stepped out of the hospital wing. James had left with a quick “See you later,” a couple minutes before. Although she would never admit it to anyone, Lily had been a little afraid that James was mad at her after their little conversation. Much to her secret relief, he didn't seem angry at all.
He's probably grown used to all the rebuking I've given him througout the years.

Lily found her eyes straying down the hall where James had disappeared. She moodily lowered her eyes.

Don’t bother thinking about him. It’s just Potter, the arrogant… the arrogant…

But Lily couldn’t figure out just what he was, so she just gave a frustrated scowl and stormed off towards Dumbledore’s office.

Madam Pomfrey had told her that Professor Dumbledore had requested the presence of the Head Boy and Girl. For some weird reason, James had been listening very closely when she had conveyed this message.

Lily began to vaguely wonder at who the new Head Boy was.

Maybe it’s Remus.

She continued to speculate as she quickened her pace down the stony, torch-lit hallway.

She turned the corner, and what she saw next made her stop as suddenly as if she had been struck by lightening. If she wasn’t mistaken, she was staring at James’s black, messy hair a couple meters away. She violently shut her eyes, gave her head a quick shake, and, slowly, as if afraid to check if James was really there, opened her eyes.

Yes, James was definitely still there.

James, who had been staring up at the ceiling with a bored expression on his face, sensed someone‘s presence. He spun around to see Lily staring confusedly and open-mouthed at him. He smiled to himself.

“Evans! Quite staring will ya? I know I’m a damn sexy beast, but it’s rude to stare!” James covered his mouth girlishly with his hand and batted his eyelashes.

Lily recovered herself.

“What-on-earth-are-you-doing-here?” she said through gritted teeth, quickly walking over to him.

“Waiting for you, darling,” James replied innocently.

“What?” Lily groaned. Potter-trouble was the last thing she needed at the momment, but, for some reason, she felt happiness begin to bubble in her heart.

“Look, Potter, I’ll try to say this simply so that your big head will understand,” she said, narrowing her eyes like she always did when verbally rebuking James.

“I’m all ears ma’am,” James put on a very serious face and stared with all his might at Lily. Lily felt her temper rising but at the same time felt a strong urge to laugh. She let out a deep exhale.

“Okay, Potter. I am here to meet Professor Dumbledore. I am also here to meet the new Head Boy. Only the Head Boy and Girl are allowed to go in right now. Do you understand me?” she spoke very clearly and slowly to James.

“Yes ma’am,” he continued to stare down at her.

“Okay then. Now be good and disappear before I make you,” Lily said, as she forced herself to smile a very painful looking smile.

“No,” James said simply.

Lily slapped her forehead and let her hand slide slowly off her face.

“Potter, I am warning you,” she muttered in a strangled voice that seemed to be praying for patience.

“Excuse me ma’am, but I have good reason to stay.”

“And what is that?” Lily said crossing her arms.

James grinned mischievously and pointed at his chest.

“And what exactly is so special about your chest Pott- DEAR AND HOLY MERLIN!” Lily screeched, as she spotted the Head Boy badge pinned proudly to James’s robes. “WHAT…HOW…WHY?” Lily screamed. Then, suddenly, a thought dawned on her.

“YOU…YOU STOLE REMUS’S BADGE, DIDN‘T YOU!”

James burst into laughter. “Well I’m really glad you’re taking all this calmly, and I can really tell that this isn’t a really big surprise,” James continued to laugh. His laugh was so beautiful. It was loud and care-free. It was the kind of laugh that made everyone around him smile despite themselves. Lily blushed.

“No, but in all seriousness, I am Head Boy. Also, I should let you know that I would never steal from a fellow Marauder…well, I wouldn’t steal a Head Boy badge at least,” James grinned. Lily simply stared at him, still thoroughly shocked.

“Don’t worry, I’ll behave myself for now,” he placed his hand on her shoulder.

Immediately, Lily’s heart seemed shoot up into her throat. She could feel her chest tighten and her breath quicken. She felt her face burn, and she blushed even more at the thought that she was blushing. James seemed to notice.

“Hey Evans, are you sure you’re feeling okay? You’re, kind of, turning red. You want some water or something?” he looked around muttering, “where’s a first year when you need one?”

“No!" Lily smacked her forehead again,"Potter, see, that’s what I don’t like about you! You bully other people into doing things for you when you know perfectly well that you don’t have to!” she huffed.

“Sorry Madam Flower,” James said, as he raised his hands up in mock surrender.

Lily began to fill her lungs with air to start shouting at James about how he made her sick, but at that moment the gargoyle guarding Dumbledore’s office jumped aside to reveal the one and only Professor Dumbledore, gleaming silver beard and all.

“Ah, Miss Evans and Mr. Potter. I thought I heard your young voices shouting. Please follow me,” he lead the way up the spiraling staircase up to the office.

It was Lily’s first time going into Dumbledore’s office, and she marveled at the rotating staircase. She entered the office and immediately fell in love with it. She thought it was beautiful with its circular shape and strange silver instruments. She gave a small gasp as her gaze fell on a magnificent phoenix seated on a golden perch. She glanced at James, but he didn’t seem very new to the room. In fact, some of the portraits on the wall waved at him.

Of course. Potter’s probably set the record for receiving detentions, so I wouldn’t be surprised if he hasn’t been in here at least a hundred times Lily thought with a slight grin.

James waved merrily back at the various portraits and took a moment to gently stroke the phoenix.

“Hey Fawkes. It's been a while, hasn't it?” he murmured.

Fawkes nuzzled James’s chin and sleepily closed his eyes as James continued to stroke him. Lily found herself smiling as she gazed at the peaceful scene. She stared, as if in a trance, at the way James’s fingers, slightly calloused from Quidditch, wound themselves around Fawkes’ feathers. She looked intently upon his lovely smile. He fondled Fawkes’ red and golden plumes with such care and tenderness that Lily suddenly found herself feeling bit jealous of Fawkes.

“Please sit.” Dumbledore indicated to two purple chintz chairs that he had conjured.

Lily shook herself out of her stupor as James gave Fawkes a final pat. He accompanied Lily to where the comfy chairs stood.

After they had seated themselves, Dumbledore began to speak. “Firstly, I would like to apologize for my lack of action concerning Bellatrix Black.”

James and Lily glanced at each other

“Please understand that I have my reasons, but I assure you that what you have gone through today will not happen again.”

Lily looked into those kind, twinkling eyes and knew that Dumbledore had things under control. She could trust him to do the right thing.

“Secondly, I would like to extend my joys to you for becoming Head Boy and Girl. As you know, this new responsibility will take up much time and effort, and, of course, teamwork.”

Once again, James and Lily exchanged glances, but it was a very uneasy glance.

Dumbledore’s eyes gave a happy twinkle. He spent the next couple of minutes explaining their new duties and schedules.

The new responsibilities were considerably larger than the ones Lily had had as a prefect. She would have to try really hard to fit in everything along with all her homework and social life.

Dumbledore soon finished telling them everything they needed to know and sent them out with a hearty “Good luck!”

“Sounds interesting, doesn’t it? All the new stuff we have to do, I mean,” James said, as the gargoyle guard jumped back into place.

“Yeah, I guess…” Lily would never admit it to James, but she was actually really worried and nervous about her new position. It was a lot to do, and she couldn’t forget that it was N.E.W.T. year. She would have to study a lot of extra material. She shot a glance at James strolling along next to her.

Lily despised James even in the academic field. While she was working her butt off night and day, he would just sit on his lazy arse, get bored, pull some pranks, and get full scores on everything. The words “study” and “try hard” didn’t seem to exist in James Potter’s vocabulary.

Lily was thinking furiously about how the whole idea that James was smarter than her was ridiculous, when she turned the corner and walked straight into a suit of armor. The many pieces toppeled to the floor with a deafening “CLANK”. The sound seemed to echo and reverberate through every crack in the walls and floor.

“Oh no,” Lily moaned. If Filch saw this, he would be sure to make a huge fuss about it, and that was the very last thing Lily needed at the moment.

James seemed to think the same exact thing. He quickly helped her get up and pulled her towards a portrait.

“Hurry!” he whispered urgently in her ear. He tapped a large painting of a broken glass goblet with his wand and mumbled,” I love moldy butterbeer.”

Apparently this was a password, for the broken glass in the painting started to re-assemble itself, and the new unbroken goblet swung open to reveal a long, narrow tunnel.

“Come on, this way.” The two of them hurriedly climbed in, and the passage sealed itself just in time. Filch came hobbling into the hall a split second later and immediately began to search every nook and cranny for the perpetrators.

“That was close,” breathed Lily.

“Yeah.”

“Er…thanks for the help, Potter,” Lily said awkwardly after a while.

“No problem,” James replied in an equally awkward tone.

Lily looked up into James’s eyes. Suddenly, she felt herself being pulled into him. She tried to pull away, to break off eye contact, but she couldn’t. Those eyes…

“Why do you always help me James, when I push you away so much…when I hurt you so much?” Lily asked suddenly without thinking, her eyes still magnetized to his. “How can you still be so nice to me?”

James stared at her.

“Isn’t it obvious? I love you.”

Lily felt as if her heart had stopped beating. Love? No, he couldn’t. She had always just been another joke to him, just something he had wanted, something he couldn’t have. To top it all off, he was the exact opposite of her dream-man. He was arrogant, lazy, and, worst of all, a bully…

But, he had stopped hexing people in the corridors, and he was a loyal and faithful person once you really got to know him. Maybe James Potter was the kind of guy she wanted. Maybe he had truly meant it when he had told her all those times that he was infatuated with her. Had she been that blind to not see how much James truly cared for her? As the thought occurred to her, she felt her heart go out to him. He was the one…she knew it…

Lily didn’t even think as she began to lean in. James hesitated, then began to inch his face closer to Lily’s. Their lips were mere millimeters away from each other’s. Lily could feel his warm breath. She closed her eyes…

Suddenly, James's eyes sprung open. He abruptly pulled away, causing Lily to jump. He stared at the ground.

He had no idea why he was refusing to kiss the one girl he had always loved, but knew one thing for sure, and that was that he wanted his first kiss with Lily to be more than just a passionate mistake. He cleared his throat uneasily.

“We should get going then,” he started to crawl down the tunnel. Lily stared after him, a little dazed.

What had just happened? Had she just almost…

No way! Lily, don’t be stupid. You, kiss Potter? Ha! That’s a laugh. That moment right now was just…nothing. Nothing at all.

Lily gave her head a quick shake before crawling after James.

A/N: Got some fluff in there! Please review!
Tutors and Scammers by Shock
Lily paused at the top of the staircase, panting slightly. Her first week back as a seventh year was already over. It was a chilly Friday afternoon, and, once again, Lily was late to an important event.

Along with nightly patrols and meetings with the prefects, the Head Girl and Boy also had to tutor at the after school tutoring program every Friday. Dumbledore had explained that it was about showing care or something or another. Lily couldn’t really remember at the moment; and besides, she was too preoccupied to really care. It was her N.E.W.T. year, and that meant all the Professors were determined to make the seventh years’ lives a living nightmare. She was already buried underneath a mountain of homework, and, with her new responsibilities, Lily was starting to feel a wee bit stressed.

“At least Anne is prefect too,“ Lily encouraged herself. Anne’s new duties were also causing her a lot of pressure. “Now if only Potter was out of the picture,” she thought miserably.

“But he’s been behaving himself. The patrols have been going well,” whispered a small voice in Lily’s head.

“And let’s not forget that you almost kissed him…”

“NO! Don’t think about that. Don’t think about that! Argh!” Lily shouted out loud.

Lily stopped suddenly, as she realized that she had walked herself to the tutoring room already.

It was her first time being a tutor, and she had nervously prayed that things would go smoothly and flawlessly. Lily paused in front of the door with her hand on the brass handle. Being a tutor would be hard, and she wasn’t sure if she was ready.

“Be confident! You’ll do fine, just don’t screw up like an idiot!” laughed Anne’s voice inside Lily’s head from the night before.

“Anne, you’re just making her even more nervous! Lily, darling, don’t worry. You’ll be wonderful, as usual!” Alice’s voice piped up.

Lily gave a small smile.

That’s right. I’ll be fine. And even if things do go horribly wrong, I’ll always have my friends to cheer me up. Yes, think of your friends Lily. They have confidence in you!”

Lily tightened her grip on the door handle. She let out a deep breath and turned the handle.

Lily stepped through the door and found herself standing in a large rectangular room. She gave a small gasp as she gazed up at the high stone arches that soared into the ceiling. Arched, gothic-looking windows were scattered across the vast stone wall. A magnificent golden chandelier hung from the peak of the ceiling, throwing its warm light on the clumps of students that were whispering and scribbling down notes and answers on their parchment below.

Not bad for a tutoring room.

Lily immediately spotted James in a corner, busily tutoring a small blonde Hufflepuff who was staring at James open-mouthed and apparently not taking in anything except his face.

Lily growled and was considering going over, slapping the girl, and telling her to lay off the goods, but then she remembered it was good-for-nothing-Potter that she was talking about. Fuming, she stormed off to the way other side of the room and slammed her things down on a desk.

James saw Lily but didn’t say anything. He was still feeling a little uncomfortable about their near kiss. He lowered his eyes and turned away.

The first half hour went by without any disruptions. Lily weaved in and out of the groups of students, asking if anyone needed help. As the minutes slipped by, she began to relax.

I was worried for nothing. This isn’t so ba-

BOOM!

Several people screamed; the stone walls shook from the impact of an explosion that seemed to have gone off somewhere in the halls outside. Lily and James barely had time to exchange nervous glances before a second explosion followed, the shock causing a small avalanche of dust to shake off from the chandelier high above. The flood of dust seemed to descend in slow motion in front of Lily’s eyes. Everyone threw up their arms in an attempt to shield themselves from the cascade of dust.

Scourgify! Lily yelled, quickly pulling out her wand and pointing it at the torrent of falling dust. The dust immediately vanished, leaving everything perfectly spotless. Students peaked out from under their arms, staring cautiously up at the ceiling.

James whipped out his own wand as a third explosion followed. His face was set with determination.

“Don’t worry everyone! Er- I’m Head Boy, so I’ll go and check out what all this is. Lily, the Head Girl, will stay here to help anyone else who needs it,” and with that, James was off.

Lily was still marveling at how well James was handling his new position, when the door opened with a sharp snap. A group of fifth year Slytherins, lead by a tall, blonde and freckled boy, entered the room. They swaggered arrogantly towards some empty seats at the end of the room, smacking some of the students’ heads as they walked by.

They flung their things down on the table next to where Lily’s things lay. Lily groaned and rolled her eyes.

Why did they have to choose that particular table?

Lily walked over to retrieve her things and put them someplace more secure. As she passed next to the table the Slytherins had settled themselves at, the leader of their gang suddenly addressed Lily.

“Hey redhead, what the hell are you looking at?”

Lily turned around.

“Are you talking to me?”

“Are you talking to me?’” the Slytherin mimicked Lily. His gang sniggered. “Well, duh, I’m talking to you. You were giving me a look. I don’t like that look,” he grinned nastily.

Lily rolled her eyes and turned to go.

“Hey! I’m not done talking to you bitch!”

Lily halted dead in her tracks. The Slytherin sneered maliciously.

“How come you’re ignoring me? You’re supposed to tutor right? Well, I need some help, and you’re not giving it.”

“You need some help all right,” Lily shot back. The Slytherins all let out a low whistle and starting mocking Lily once again with more imitations of her comments.

“Oh well excuse me,” hissed the blonde leader. “Someone has a fucking attitude problem. Have I ever done anything to you? Come on, what did I ever do to you?”

Lily felt her temper boiling to a breaking point, but tried to cool it down.

I have to keep myself composed. I must set a good example. A good example, a good example…

“Look, just stop it. You’re not cool, and you’re being really imma-”

“Hey, are you pureblood?” one of the Slytherin boys interjected suddenly.

Lily raised an eyebrow.

“Why do you want to know that?”

“Just because. I want to know what kind of person is tutoring around this damn place,” said the Slytherin in a bored voice.

“Well, not that it’s important, but I’m Muggleborn,” Lily said hesitantly.

“You are? That’s good!“ the leader of the gang spoke up unexpectedly.

Lily was taken aback.

“Er…thank-”

“Then you can help me with my homework,” he took out a piece of paper with a picture of a human on it.

“We’re supposed to identify this guy on the paper. Now tell me- is he a Muggle, or is he just a Mudblood like you?”

Lily blinked.

“What did you just say to me?”

“What, can’t you Mudbloods hear me? I said, is this guy a Muggle or a Mud-” But the boy never finished his sentence, for a hand had flown out of nowhere, grabbed him by the collar, and hoisted him a foot off the ground.

“What did you just say to her?”

James had grabbed a hold of the Slytherin in one hand and was using the other to press his wand directly into the boy’s throat.

“Hey, hey let go man! I was just kidd-”

“Don’t give me any of that crap. Apologize to her before I turn your head into a squid.”

“I’m-I’m sorry! I’m sorry! Now let go! Please, please let go!” the boy choked.

James pressed his wand more deeply into his neck.

“That’s right, you had better be sorry,” James looked up and glowered at the rest of the students, who were all looking on rather fearfully.

“I’ll take this chance to say it now. My name is James Potter, and I’m one of the well known Marauders.”

Everyone gulped.

“I’m also known for being very fond of Lily Evans. So, be warned that if you mess with Evans, you mess with the Marauders. Get it? Got it? Good,” James gave them all a threatening glare, then let the Slytherin fall to the ground, where upon he immediately grabbed his things and scampered off. The rest of his gang glanced fearfully at James before following suit. The bell rang, and the other students rushed to the door to escape any remainders of the wrath of James.

James scowled at the last of the students to run out the door, then turned to Lily.

“That stupid prat. He should go shove his wand up his- Evans? Evans, what’s the matter?”

Lily was still standing exactly where she had been when the Slytherin boy had insulted her. Despite her effort to hold back the flood of tears that had begun to well up in her brilliantly green eyes, the tears were starting to stream down her cheeks.

“E-Evans? What’s wrong? Are you okay, well, duh you’re not okay but, is it that Slytherin? You want me to go get the others so we can curse him?” James had no idea what else to say. Lily had many a times yelled at him and lost her temper in front of him, but never had she cried in front of him.

“It’s all right. I can handle it. I…just really hate it when people say things like that to me!” Lily rushed through the last part of her sentence because she could feel her voice starting to break.

Lily really did hate it when anyone called her a Mudblood or discriminated her just because of her heritage. Normally, she would have just shrugged the insult off, pried James off the boy, reprimanded James, and gone on with life. But today was different.

Today had been her first time being a tutor, and she was stressed due to the heap of homework that she was starting to fall behind on. She had hoped that the position of Head Girl would have commanded some respect out of her piers despite the fact that she was Muggle-born. She guessed she was wrong. She had tried so hard to fit in and do her best, to prove that she was as good as everyone else, but she was too weak to even come up with a proper comeback to a stupid insult a fifth year had made. To top it all off, James was looking at her and she was actually crying.

Lily couldn’t handle it anymore. The stress was too much. The homework, the duties, the insults…just everything…

Lily collapsed to her knees and began to sob her heart out, causing James to jump with shock.

Beads of sweat erupted on James’s forehead. What on earth was he supposed to do in a situation like this? Well, of course he should comfort her, but what on earth was he supposed to say?

He nervously wiped his forehead on his sleeve and stared numbly down at Lily. She was just crumpled into a small heap and crying and crying.

Then, suddenly, in that moment, James felt more sorrowful than he had ever been in his entire life. He couldn’t stand the fact that Lily was crying. It made his heart feel as if it were ripping in two. He would have given anything to cheer her up, to put an end to those tears that were flowing down her beautiful face.

He kneeled down beside her. Lily continued to sob. Then, more by instinct than thought, James pulled Lily into a gentle hug.

Lily almost stopped crying out of sheer surprise, but, for some reason, it felt so right wrapped up in his arms. She could feel his warmth spreading through her own body, heating her very soul. She could smell the fresh scent of the wind in his pitch-black hair. She closed her eyes.

She wanted to stay there with him forever and just forget. Forget everything bad, forget everything stressful. Just forget and be in James’s arms. Before she could stop herself, she flung her arms around his neck and let the tears flow.


“One…two…three…four galleons. There. Good job! You were very convincing. I applaud you and your friends. Your services were very much appreciated,” Anne handed four galleons to a blonde freckled boy in Slytherin robes.

“No problem! It was nice to help out. I hope Potter finally wins over his girl. But I really feel bad about making her cry,” the blond boy replied, cautiously glancing into the tutoring room.

“Don’t worry. It’s not really your fault. I, er…” Anne leaned in closer and whispered, “I slipped some Depression Potion into her morning drink,” she winked.

“Depression Potion? How much?” the boy asked curiously.

“Er…about, well, eight ounces.”

“EIGHT OUNCES? Sheesh, no wonder she’s crying,” he exclaimed, “well, I suppose it’ll wear off in a couple of minutes. Anyways, me and my friends should hurry up and go and change back to our real robes, before any of our fellow Hufflepuffs see us in Slytherin robes,” the boy said in a hushed tone.

“Thanks again,” Anne called, as the boy and his friends hurried to the nearest bathroom to change into their regular robes.

“For a Hufflepuff, he was a really good actor, wouldn’t you say?” Anne inquired, as she turned to face Sirius, Remus, and Alice. Evil grins split across their faces.

A/N: He he he. I love scams. The tutoring session and the insults the Slytherin (actually Hufflepuff) boy had said to Lily were inspired by a boy who said almost the exact same things to me a couple weeks ago. Hope you hated him! ( ; REVIEW PLEASE!

A/N #2: Speaking of scams, Mugglenet-you guys are good! You got me good with your April Fool's prank and nearly gave me a heart attack with it!
The Startings of the S.M.S.O.B. by Shock
A/N: This chapter is dedicated to my wonderful beta! You're the best!!

“I thought he was very convincing,” Remus said in a satisfied tone.

“Did you see old Prongsie? He was so damn pissed!” barked Sirius with laughter.

“I don’t think I’ve ever seen James so mad! That’s good because that means he really loves Lily,” smiled Alice.

“I told you my plan was brilliant,” said Anne, holding her head high.

“Yeah, with the four of us working underground, Prongs and Lily will have nowhere to run, nowhere to hide. Mwa ha ha ha!” Sirius bellowed. Remus, Anne, and Alice all clapped their hands on Sirius’s mouth.

“Shhh! Shut up! You’ll give away our plan!” Anne whispered furiously, eyes flashing warningly.

“Oh, right. Sorry,” Sirius grinned rather stupidly as the three of them drew away their hands.

“Sirius, you can’t stay quite for a full minute can you?” Alice sighed.

“Nope,” Sirius answered nonchalantly.

“Tch. Such an attention seeker…” Alice playfully slapped Sirius’s shoulder, upon which he immediately grabbed his shoulder as if it had been cursed and started acting out a dying scene with full sound effects. Alice giggled and applauded.

Anne gave Remus a tired, strained look.

“How long do you think he’ll take while ‘dying’?” she groaned while rubbing her eyes.

“Hmm…I’d give it about two more minutes,” Remus replied while staring analytically at Sirius, who was now rolling around the floor making gagging noises.

Everyone waited and, sure enough, two minutes later, Sirius was back on his feet, his hair handsomely tasseled.

“Done?” Anne asked.

“Yes!” beamed Sirius.

“Okay, back on earth now…so, Plan Potter and the Flower Part A has been a success thus far!” Anne said triumphantly as she slammed her fist into her hand.

“Hey, hey! Shouldn’t our little group have a name?” Sirius suddenly asked excitedly.

“No,” answered Anne and Remus immediately.

“Hey, I think Sirius has a good point. I want a name for our group,” piped up Alice. Anne and Remus both glared at Alice, as if to say “Now you’ve done it.”

“See! Alice thinks it’s a good idea! Hmm… what should we call ourselves…I know! What about The Society of the Magical and Sparkly Orange Butterflies?”

“The Society of the Magical and Sparkly Orange Butterflies,” Anne and Remus repeated exasperatedly.

“Yah!”

Alice laughed.

“I like it! The Society of the Magical and Sparkly Orange Butterflies!”

“Yay! We now officially have a name!” Sirius started dancing in a little circle. Alice soon joined in.

“You can call it whatever you want as long as you shut up!” scowled Anne, who was now reaching boiling point.

“I second that,” said Remus grinning.

“What? What’s wrong with The Society o-”

“Shh!” Anne shushed furiously, “we must observe the specimens!”

She and Remus turned mysteriously around and peered through the door of the tutoring room which was slightly ajar. Sirius and Alice stopped dancing with a final twirl and followed suit.


Lily had stopped crying fifteen minutes later. However, she was still holding on to James. He gently rubbed her back, and she felt herself relaxing. She felt as if she could go on with her life now as the stress that had been piling up all day started to drain away. She slowly pulled away from James.

“You feel better?” James asked tenderly.

“Yes. I’m okay now.”

James handed her his handkerchief .

“Here.”

“Thank you,” Lily blew her nose, staring silently at the ground.

“I’m sorry that you had to see me like this,” she spoke up after a while. “ I don’t break down that easily. I don’t know what came over me…”she trailed off her sentence, still staring at the floor.

“No, it’s okay! I mean, I don’t like to see you crying, and I still regret not cursing that little dumbass…” James snarled.

Lily gave a small laugh, surprising James. He smiled nervously, looking into Lily’s gorgeous green eyes. They reminded James of two deep, pure pools of water.

Lily looked up and saw James peering into her face.

“What, do I have something on my face or something?” Lily asked worriedly, hurriedly wiping her cheeks with her sleeve.

“No! I mean…just…your eyes. They remind me of a clear pool. Hey…you’re a water lily!” exclaimed James suddenly.

“What?”

“Water Lily!”

“And why exactly am I a water lily?” Lily grinned despite herself.

“Well…your eyes are pools…and, er, well…you were crying and all and, I mean, if you cried anymore you’d probably create a river and, well, you’d probably float or something…”

“Oh, I get it! I’d float like a water lily right?”

“Yeah! ‘Cause your name is Lily and, yeah….”

James looked up cautiously at Lily, reminding her of a puppy that had disobeyed its master. She stared at James for a second and then exploded into laughter, startling even herself.

“What? What’s so funny? What I said wasn’t that stupid…was it?” James frowned.

“No…no. Oh, I don’t know!” Lily choked with laughter. James sat there dumbfounded for a while, then started to laugh himself. In a matter of seconds, both of them were rolling on the floor, laughing uncontrollably.


“Hey, what’s going on? Are they laughing? What the hell?” Sirius tried to poke his face in between Remus’s and Anne’s.

“Quiet!” Anne hissed. She peered through the crack between the wall and the door. “Yup, they’re having a good time. He he he…” Anne snickered mysteriously. “All right, team-”

“Excuse me! It’s the Society of th-”

“Okay okay!” Anne heaved a deep sigh, “S.M.S.O.B, it’s about time for Part B of our plan. Now, Remus and Sirius, you’re absolutely positive that James will do what you think he will?”

“We’re one hundred percent sure Anne, so don’t start freaking out,” Remus assured her. Alice beamed at Remus and Anne.

“What’s so funny?” Sirius inquired, noticing Alice’s cheerful expression.

“Oh, nothing. I’m just happy that there will be two happy couples by the end of this year,” Alice smiled.

“What are you talking about?”

“Nothing, nothing at all,” Alice said nonchalantly, staring up at the ceiling.

“Okay…” Sirius frowned. “Oh yeah, I forgot to ask. Master Wu, why isn’t Wormtail allowed in on this whole thing?”

Anne’s face, which had been staring confusedly at Alice, suddenly grew grave.

“I…I have my reasons. And besides, you know as well as I do that Pettigrew is clumsy, and we can’t have any mistakes going on in our plot.”

“Clumsy! If you want to talk about clumsy, then we should just fire Alice right now!”

“Hey!”

“Sorry, no offense.”

“Much taken!”

“Hey, I said sorry and, besides, the truth hurts!”

“WHAT?” Alice screeched. The two began to bicker furiously.

“Shouldn’t we break it up?” Remus asked, sounding a little worried.

“Nah. It’ll keep them busy for now. Besides, if I hear the words ‘sparkly’ and ‘butterflies’ one more time, I’m gonna crack!” Anne exclaimed.

Remus laughed and started massaging Anne’s shoulders.

“Easy Master Wu.”

“Oh shut up, Moony.” Anne waved his hands away but smiled anyway. She gazed into his warm eyes. He was such a wonderful person…

Alice and Sirius soon stopped arguing. They were both huffing heavily.

“Hey, aren’t we supposed to be putting Part B into action or something?” Sirius growled irritably.

“What, oh yeah. Hurry!” Anne turned around to the great marble staircase and started heading outside.


It took twenty minutes for James and Lily to finally stop laughing.

“Whoo…I haven’t laughed that hard in a while,” Lily said, wiping the happy tears from her eyes.

“Yeah, me too,” James replied as he raised himself from the ground. He held out his hand for her, and she took it. He pulled her up but did it a little too hard so that she fell straight into his arms. She peered up into his face.

“He’s tall“ Lily thought dazedly.

“Hey, um, you want to go outside for a sec before patrolling?” James asked hesitantly.

Before Lily could think properly, she answered, “Sure.”

“Great! Follow me, Water Lily!” James ran towards the door. He opened it and paused.

He turned around and grinned at Lily.

She hesitated, then grinned back.

“Let’s go!” She ran to him.

A/N: Some more fluff! Yay-fluffy fluffy! Review pleaz!
Starry Night by Shock
A/N: For the reason for James's "Water Lily" pun, see chapter 7 and 1.

“This way!” James said excitedly, tugging gently at Lily’s sleeve. Lily couldn’t help but smile at his eagerness. He continued to quicken their pace until they both broke into a fervent run.

Lily felt a bit immature about dashing around the hallways, but she managed to forget her embarrassment as she looked into James’s happy face, which was flushed with exhilaration. She unconsciously began to giggle.

The two of them zoomed down the hallways, causing nearby tapestries to flutter and various portraits to yell at them to slow down. They continued to increase their speed, their robes billowing behind them. James suddenly came to an abrupt stop at the top of the great staircase. Lily quickly skid to a halt.

“Why are we stopping Potter?” Lily frowned. Surely he didn’t make them run so much just to observe the staircase.

James gave Lily a mischievous grin then, before Lily could stop him, placed both buttocks on the banister, and slid down at full speed, whooping his lungs out the entire way.

“You are Head Boy!!” screeched Lily, wide-eyed, not knowing whether to laugh or grimace.

“Stop making such a fuss! Here-” James shouted back, pulling out his wand as he dismounted at the base. He pointed it directly at Lily. Suddenly, as if pulled by an invisible hand, Lily found herself being pulled onto the banister.

“No, no, no, no-” Lily stammered, panicked, “wait! No!”

But waiting was an action unknown to James Potter, and before Lily could say another word, James yanked his wand towards him and Lily found herself screaming at the top of her voice as she sped down the smooth marble railing. She continued to gain momentum, then was vaulted off the banister and found herself flying through the air.

She caught a fearful glance of the hard floor before having her face plunged into a head of messy black hair. She instinctively wrapped her arms around the neck of her catcher.

“Finally warming up to me, eh Evans?” James’s muffled voice sounded in Lily’s ears.

Lily jerked her head back to find James grinning cheekily at her. She thought her burning face would singe the roots of her hair.

“Let me down, now, Potter!” she shrieked.

“Ouch-hey-ouch! Okay, okay! Going down now-ouch- I said I’m letting you down Water Lily!” James managed to say through the rain of punches Lily was raining down upon him. He gently placed her on her feet again.

“Thank you!” Lily cried in an infuriated voice, straightening her robes. “Well, it was nice playing with you Potter, but I think I’m ready to go back to my dormitory and sleep now!” she huffed, spinning around to leave.

“Wait! I haven’t shown you what I wanted to show you!” James frowned, grabbing Lily’s arm.

“You mean there’s more?” Lily asked, trying to sound angry and not to voice the hopefulness that had sprung up inside her.

“Of course! You’re with James Potter, remember?” James smiled. “Come on, this way!” Lily let herself be pulled down the entrance hall and outside into the chilly night. James tromped through the grass towards the Quidditch pitch. Lily could see his breath rising into the cold night air.

“Why are we going this way Potter? Don’t tell me that you’re dragging me out here just to play to Quidditch?”

“Nah, I have a better, more stress-relieving idea,” James answered mysteriously.

Stress relieving?

As soon as they were on the wide-open pitch, James quickly strode over to the broom closet and flung it open.

“We’re going flying!” he exclaimed, beginning to rummage through the closet. Lily’s eyes widened.

“Wait, wait, wait. Potter…I, that is to say, I…” Lily stuttered uneasily.

“You?” James repeated, still digging through the closet.

Lily could tell that her face was burning red. She clenched her fists.

“I can’t fly…” she muttered in a small voice.

“What? Sorry, I can barely hear you. What did you say?” James asked from the depths of the closet.

“I can’t fly…” Lily said once again, this time a tiny bit louder.

“What?”

“I SAID- I CANNOT FLY!” Lily finally erupted.

James immediately stuck his head out of the broom closet. There was a dumbfounded expression on his face.

“You can’t fly? And you always scolded me for being obsessed in Quidditch, when you couldn’t even fly!”

“Well, I know the fundamentals and things like that! But I guess what I should say is…” Lily grimaced, “I’m really, really AWFUL at flying.”

They stared at each other for a moment before James burst out in laughter. He fell on all fours and started pounding the ground with his fist, clutching at the stitch in his side.

Lily’s face burned like it was on fire. She was beginning to have second thoughts about agreeing to this whole thing.

“It’s not funny Potter!” she yelled angrily, turning around sharply to leave. James, still on the ground, quickly flung himself forward and grabbed the hem of Lily’s robes.

“No! Don’t leave, don’t-” but James had burst into laughter once more.

“ARGH! Potter, stop laughing at me!” Lily snapped, trying to kick James off.

“Wait! I’m sorry, I-” James tried to stifle his laughter, but ended up completely exploding with laughter instead.

Lily’s temper began to reach its height. Now she was definitely sure that she had made a terrible mistake by following James.

She pulled heatedly at her robes in an attempt to tear them out of James’s clenches, but to no avail. She continued to struggle fiercely with him, thinking furiously that Quidditch was an evil sport created to make James stronger than her.

After five minutes that were filled with many more failed attempts and James‘s annoying continuation of trying to calm himself then bursting out in laughter again, Lily finally gave up and plopped down onto the grass, gasping for breath. Lily ended up sitting on the grass, James still hanging onto her robes like some strange accessory, and waiting impatiently for James to finally shut up, which he succeeded in doing a few minutes later.

“Ha ha ha…wow, sorry Water Lily. It’s just that, I don’t know, you looked incredibly cute that moment,” James flung himself spread-eagle onto the grass. He heaved a deep, happy sigh and stared into the heavenly expanse above.

“Cu-cute?” Lily stammered.

“Yeah.” James cocked his head and grinned handsomely at Lily, a little something he had perfected with the help of Sirius.

Lily opened her mouth to start screaming about how she wasn’t cute and that she never would be cute, but then realized what she would be saying. Lost for words, she silently shut her mouth instead.

“So, about flying,“ James snorted with laughter once again, much to Lily’s annoyance,” you don’t have to worry because someone’s apparently nicked all but one of the brooms.”

“Somebody’s stolen them? Wait, why on earth would someone steal all those brooms?” Lily asked in a worried voice.

“No idea,” James said in a tone completely free of any care at all. Lily scowled.

“Well at least try to sound a little concerned about it, Mr. Head Boy.”

“Why should I? It’s obvious who stole them.” A large bush a couple feet away gave a violent shudder, but neither James or Lily noticed.

“Who?”

“I don’t know.”

“What? But you just said- you know what, just forget it Potter. You’re hopeless.” Lily flung herself onto the grass alongside James. The stars shone brightly through the pearly clouds and twinkled down merrily at the two teens lying head to head on the field.

“You know, we could just ride on one broom,” James spoke up suddenly. “Well, it would be a lot better since you’re not that good, and I’m sure I could handle one more person on board…” James trailed off uneasily.

“Me? On one broom with you Potter?” Lily scoffed. She turned her head and saw the hurt expression on his face. Since when had she felt so bad about hurting James’s feelings?

“Sure,” she said before she could stop herself. James’s eyebrows flew up, disappearing behind his messy bangs.

“Really? You mean it Evans?”

“I do.” Lily’s mouth seemed to have a mind of its own.

“Well…okay! I’ll go and get the broom!”

15 minutes later

James hovered in front of Lily on a Silver Arrow, a very popular and sought after broom that year.

“Hmm…that’s strange. I don’t remember the school carrying a nice broom like this one,” James muttered, scratching his head.

“Potter, are you sure you know what you’re doing,” Lily asked, squinting suspiciously at the broom as if it had betrayed her somehow on a previous occasion.

“Evans, look who you’re talking to! I’m practically the best Quidditch player there is! I mean…”James’s voice faltered under Lily’s smoldering glare, “I know what I’m doing, so climb on board Water Lily!”

Lily huffed and gave him a last piercing glance before seating herself behind him.

“You’d better hold on,” James warned. “This broom is pretty fast, and I’ll be going above the clouds probably.”

“Fine,” Lily grumbled. She hesitated, and then wrapped her arms securely around James’s waist.

“Okay! Ready for take off?” Lily could feel his muscles tighten under her arms.

“Aye Captain,” Lily responded, rolling her eyes but feeling her pulse quicken nonetheless.

“Right, okay. On the count of three. One…two…three!” James took off with a strong push off the ground, making Lily scream as she suddenly felt herself being lifted up into the night sky. But her terror soon transformed into delight once she felt the cold wind whip back her flaming hair and cause her robes to flap lively behind her. Lily glanced at the ground where the goal posts on the Quidditch pitch were rapidly turning into tiny specks.

James began to whoop and punch the air with his fist. Lily laughed and followed suit. She could feel her stress falling away and shattering to pieces on the far-off ground. She was literally flying away from her troubles. Flying away with James Potter…For some reason, the thought didn’t really bother Lily. In fact, she wanted this moment to last forever.

“Faster! Higher!” she yelled happily.

“Yes ma’am!” James eagerly put on a spurt of speed that nearly un-seated Lily and plunged straight into the thick clouds above. Immediately, everything around them became a gray blur and all sounds became muted. The two sped silently together through the heart of the clouds. Lily snuggled closer to James and tightened her grip around him. She could smell his heavenly scent.

Then suddenly, they burst out from the clouds. Lily gasped with joy as the millions of glittering stars emerged in front of them, all seeming ten times closer and ten times more magnificent than they had been on the ground.

James decreased their speed and glided smoothly across the night sky. His pitch black hair seemed to blend in with the night.

“You see those stars Evans?” said James.

“Yes,” Lily replied softly. James twisted his head around to look at her.

“You’re a thousand times more beautiful.”

Lily eyes widened. She couldn’t find any words to say to this. All her words seemed to be jumbled in her throat, which had tightened painfully.

“Thank you, James,” she whispered.


Back on the ground, next to a large bush, Sirius was creating a fresh dance routine for his new Society of the Magical and Sparkly Orange Butterflies song, Alice was squealing with excitement as she spied James and Lily in the sky with her Omnioculars, and Remus was wrapping his scarf around Anne’s neck to keep her warm.

Part B. of the S.M.S.O.B.’s plan was working wonderfully well.

A/N: Reviews for the S.M.S.O.B? Did Sirius annoy you enough with it? ( ;

A/N #2: If you’re still confused on what “Part B.” was, re-read carefully and it’ll become pretty obvious! ( :
Shadows by Shock
James slowed down and glided into a smooth landing on the grassy Quidditch pitch, Lily still clinging tightly to him. Both were breathless from the all the whooping and yelling they had been doing in the privacy of the heavens above, and their breathes came out in misty puffs from their mouths. Their cheeks burned red with excitement and adrenaline despite the chilly night air.

James dismounted the broom, hopped gracefully onto the ground, and held out his hand to help Lily dismount. She took it without any hesitation. As Lily dismounted, she looked into James’s eyes and knew that she hadn’t made a mistake in trusting and following him. Side-by-side, they strolled silently to the broom closet and put the Silver Arrow away. Although they didn’t speak to each other, they could feel other’s happiness and satisfaction.

As Lily and James stepped out of the broom closet, the two of them instinctively looked up to gaze at the magnificent view of Hogwarts boldly outlined in the inky sky. Its stony walls remained untouched by time and seemed impenetrable. Some of the windows of the many turrets and towers were still alight and sparkling merrily, giving off a warm and welcoming feeling. As Lily viewed the peaceful scenery, some lone bats fluttered past the tall pine trees bordering the outskirts of the castle.

Lily took a deep breath, refreshing herself with the cold air, and smiled contentedly. She was happy to be alive at that moment. The stars were blinking cheerfully down at the pair and an owl gave a low-toned hoot from the depths of the trees. The world was in perfect and absolute bliss.

Lily stared at James through the corner of her eye. He was gazing up at the castle, a relaxed smile spread across his handsome face. As Lily stood in the darkness next to the very James Potter she had claimed to have hated the very soul of for the last six years, she couldn’t help but feel glad that he was there with her. His presence gave her an unexplainable kind of satisfaction. She felt at peace when they were alone together.

Lily! What are you thinking? What, what’s going on? What on earth are you feeling?

Lily flashed another glance at James.

This feeling…it’s the same thing I feel every time I look at him, yell at him, touch him…

Am I really in love with him?


Lily’s heart skipped a beat. She gulped and spun around to face James, a somewhat anxious expression on her face.
“Potter.”

“Hm?” James answered, still staring up at the peaceful sight of the splendid castle.

“Can I ask you something?” she inquired tentatively.

“Sure. Fire away, Water Lily.”

“Do you really…” Lily’s heart felt like it was doing a rapid tap-dance in her chest.

“Really what?”

“Did you mean it when you told me…when you told me that night… that you loved me?” Lily blushed crimson but continued to look straight at James.

James’s eyes widened. He quickly turned around and looked straight into Lily’s eyes.

“Lily, I can’t believe you can’t take me seriously!”

For the first time that day, Lily saw sorrow in James‘s face.

“I mean, I know that I pull off pranks and jokes, er, once and in a while. But when I tell someone that I have actual feelings for them, I mean it,” he exclaimed forcefully. “I’ve been telling you ever since I first met you. Lily Evans, I love you. I always have. I always will. You can run away, but I’ll never stop running after you. I don’t care. I don’t care because I love you, Lily. I love you.” He gripped both her arms gently as he spoke and there was earnestness in his eyes. Lily didn’t bother to tell him not to. Her head was too busy buzzing with a blur of mixed thoughts.

So he really had loved me? All those times…it wasn’t just a lie, a prank? Was the reason I was running away him all those times because…because…

I was afraid.

“James,” Lily blurted out suddenly. “I need to tell you now. I think-wait, no- I know now, that I…that I lo-”

Lily stopped mid-sentence, for she had just heard a peculiar noise coming from the brink of the shadows of the forest’s trees. It sounded strangely like a giggle, but who would be out near the Forbidden Forest at this hour?

“Potter, did you hear that?” Lily asked in a hushed tone, her eyes glued to the shadowed spot where the voice had sounded.

James nodded silently.

“You think it’s a student out of bed?” Lily whispered.

“Yeah, but why would anyone be by the forest right now. I mean, I know things can get boring sometimes, but nobody’s thick enough to think that it’s safe to go wandering into the Forbidden Forest this late.”

The shadow unexpectedly giggled once more, making the two of them jump. It was a human voice, a girl’s voice. James and Lily exchanged uneasy looks. The voice was as thin as a reed and seemed like it would break at a single slight touch. It sent shivers up Lily’s spine.

“Wands out?” Lily suggested.

“Good idea.”

As the two of them quickly whipped out their wands from their robes, they heard a new sound. Another voice had joined the giggling female one. This time it was a male’s voice, and it was as equally cold and hollow as its counterpart. Both voices began snickering loudly.

“Oy! In there! Come out! It’s damn near twelve at night!” James shouted suddenly, startling Lily.

The snickering only increased in volume and grew into an eerie crescendo of laughter. The wind began to blow like a soft whisper, wafting some dried leaves into the air and across the dirt path into the forest.

“Must be out on a midnight date or something,” James grumbled. “Hey, come out now, and we won’t give you detentions!”

The voices suddenly burst into a mirthless explosion of laughter, but seemed strangely hollow and distant, like only the memory of a laughter long ago diminished by time.

“Potter, I don’t like this. I don’t like this at all.” An unnamable fear was slowly creeping into Lily’s heart.

“Don’t worry. I bet they’re just trying to scare us off or something. Come on, let’s go get them,” James said in an annoyed tone, as he started marching towards the black rim of the trees.

“Wait! Potter-” Lily stumbled and ran up to catch up with him.

“Hey! Hey-wait! Come out! I’m Head Boy!” James shouted stubbornly, as the voices suddenly started to move deeper into the forest, now laughing fit to burst. Lily could feel the vibrations of their laughter. It hit her body like cold water, chilling her to the bone.

“Potter! Don’t! It’s dangerous!” Lily whispered furiously, panting as she stumbled after James. For some reason, it felt dangerous to past the level of a small voice.

James didn’t hear her and continued to stomp after the voices which were continually moving deeper and deeper into the shadows of the trees.

The wind began to whistle a hollow song.


The S.M.S.O.B. were stealthily making their way up the stone steps to the entrance, which were a bit wet from the night dew.

“This was a great night! We should do it again sometime!” Alice said as if they had just simply gone for a bit of weekend shopping, stopping to catch her breath at the top of the stairs.

“Don’t worry. We’ll have to even if we don’t want to. We agreed that we’d put Lily and James together this year whether Fate, Destiny, or anything agrees with us or not!” Anne exclaimed triumphantly.

“You said it Master! I’m sick of seeing Prongsie depressed from Flower Fever,” Sirius huffed.

“Yeah, I- hold on. What’s wrong with this picture?” Remus inquired, pointing towards the borders of the Forbidden Forest.

“I don’t know,” Anne said, more to herself than to Remus as she stepped up next to him. “Why in Merlin’s name are they going in there? Are they insane?” she whispered. Her eyes widened suddenly, and she snapped around to face Alice and Sirius. “Did you leave something out? Did you screw something up, because if you did, I swear I’ll tear your wands apart!” she snarled as she stepped towards them, her fingers curling and reaching out threateningly towards their throats.

“We didn’t do anything!” Alice and Sirius chimed together.

“Wait…I hear something…,” Remus murmured, a dead serious expression on his face.

“What is it Moony?” Anne asked nervously, moving once more next to him, much to the relief of Alice and Sirius.

“Voices. It sounds like laughter. There’s someone outdoors? At this hour?”

“Well no big surprise there! I mean, nothing’s stopping them. Look at us!” Sirius said in an exasperated tone.

“Whatever. I don’t care who the hell it is, and why they’re stupid enough to be lurking around the Forbidden Forest in the dead of night, but they’re ruining our plans! Come on, let’s go!” Anne said in an infuriated voice.

“Go? Go where?” the three asked in a nervous tone.

“Go and follow Lily and James and those voices! We need to get to the bottom of this!” Anne replied angrily. She began to slink towards the forest. The others exchanged uncomfortable glances and followed grudgingly.

A/N: Short chapter ending in a bit of a cliffy! Fluff was included so I hope you thought it was okay! Tell me who/what you think the voices are!
REVIEW PLEASE!!!
Hovering Death by Shock
The sound of James‘s footsteps echoed throughout the forest as his steps crushed various dry branches strewn across the dark forest floor. The little bit of moon that had been out had been concealed by the thick clouds, causing the ground to transform into a vast expanse of endless black. Darkness swallowed up Lily and James as they wandered deeper and deeper into the heart of the forest.

James grunted as he struggled over a large fallen pine tree. He hurriedly pushed one of the jagged branches out of his face causing it to swing back and nearly whack Lily off her feet.

“Potter! Watch where you’re putting that thing!” Lily whispered furiously as she stood up from the crouched position she had been forced into by ducking the branch.

“Sorry Water Lily,” James replied in a hushed tone, barely glancing over his shoulder to check and see if Lily was okay. His eyes were locked in front of him as the mysterious wisps of hollow laughter continued to travel just out of eyesight.

His stubborn chase had weaved him and Lily deeper into the maze of the thousands of trees. As soon as James thought he had finally caught up to the uncanny voices, they would suddenly quiet down then reverberate again from a significantly farther distance. Their taunting echoes of laughter would steadily grow louder every time they moved farther up.

“Potter, this is hopeless! Let them go, we’ll tell Dumbledore in the morning!” Lily pleaded frustratingly behind James. The hollow voices ruptured into peals of shrill but hushed laughter, as James accidentally tripped and fell over an uprooted tree bark. Lily groaned and helped him regain his posture.

“Maybe you’re right,” James mumbled, straightening and brushing off his robes. “Yeah…it would be better to go to Dumbledore than wander around in here all night,” he said with a somewhat disappointed face as he stared down at the ground.

Lily’s tense expression relaxed.

“Thank you for listening to sense, Potter. Now, let’s g-”

“Wait!” James abruptly cut her off mid-sentence. He stared intensely close at a section of the trees off to the left of where he and Lily were standing. As he looked closer, he spotted what was clearly the hem of a white cloak slowly and silently waving in the chilly wind.

“Do you see that, Evans?” James whispered excitedly, as he pulled himself and Lily behind a gigantic tree and peered out from behind it.

Lily frowned. James’s stubbornness to follow these creepy voices was causing only more trouble for them. She irritably pushed James aside and peeked through the rough branches of the tree. Sure enough, she could see part of a white cloak billowing in slow motion just out of sight. She exchanged glances with James as he stepped up behind her.

“Let’s go,” James said taking an eager step forward.

“No! Wai-” but Lily didn’t have a chance to finish her sentence, for the white cloak had begun to drift towards them.

Both James and Lily stood glued to the spot. Their legs seemed to have forgotten how to move upon the moment the cloak had begun to slowly glide towards the tree to where they were hiding behind.

Another white cloak suddenly appeared from behind another jagged tree and moved smoothly across the rough ground to accompany the first cloak. Both began to glide past the branches towards Lily and James. Strangely, the quietly waving hems of the cloaks didn’t catch on to a single jagged branch.

They came with their backs faced towards them, so that neither Lily nor James could catch a glimpse of their faces. For some reason, Lily didn’t have the least bit of curiosity to see their faces. They came slowly and silently, like a heavy mist being blown away by the wind. They came to an abrupt halt in front of Lily and James. It was then that Lily finally noticed something that nearly made her faint.

The cloaks had no feet.

She broke out into a cold sweat and looked at James, whose face had turned pallid and was staring at the spot where the feet of the cloaks were supposed to be.

They barely had time to take in their second breath when both cloaks simultaneously spun around to reveal their front view. It took a couple of milliseconds for Lily to register what she was seeing. Besides lacking feet, these cloaks also lacked faces. In fact, there was no one wearing the cloaks. They were simply hovering above the ground like ghosts. But they couldn’t be ghosts. They weren’t transparent…

“Relahsio!” James screamed, whipping his wand out from his robes with trembling fingers. The spell hit both cloaks where their hearts should have been, and both fell limply to the forest floor. James stared down at the cloaks, breathing rapidly, his breath coming out in large puffs of white mist in the cold night air. It was as if the cloaks had never been standing.

Someone laid a shaky hand on James’s shoulder, causing him to jump a foot in the air. He quickly turned around to find Lily’s eyes, wide with fear, staring at him.

“I think that that was enough excitement for one night, don’t you?” she asked in a trembling voice.

“Yeah,” James answered in a wavering tone. But even as he said this, he noticed something strange happening to the cloaks lying on the floor. A drop of what looked eerily like blood had appeared on the shoulders of the white cloaks. The drop spread slowly across the spotless cloth in small fluid rivers until both cloaks were drenched in the blood.

“James. Is that…blood?” Lily trembled, grabbing James’s arm. She could feel her own blood draining from her face as the sweet but repulsive smell of blood filled her senses.

“I-I-I don’t know,” he replied in an equally petrified voice.

He had barely said this, when a guttural growl sounded from behind a nearby tree. James quickly stepped in front of Lily, putting himself between whatever horrors that lay behind the tree and Lily.

“James, wha-what was that?”

James didn’t answer. His voice was stuck somewhere in the depths of his throat. All he could do was tighten his grip on his wand and stare at the tree from where the chilling sound had come from.

Suddenly, long lethal-looking black darts shot out from behind the tree, narrowly missing the two.

“Duck!” James screamed, as a second round of spiked darts blasted out from the back of the tree, followed by another raspy growl. He pulled himself and Lily flat onto the ground as the deadly darts zinged past them and thudded into the nearby trees. James and Lily quickly scrambled back onto their feet, spinning around with their wands out to face the tree.

For a few seconds, everything was silent. Lily and James stood rigidly with their wands out, prepared to take on whatever was in store for them. Both were breathing rapidly, their breathes combining to rise up into small clouds of smoke, white in the pitch darkness.

Lily had begun to loosen her grip on her wand when something large, red, and hairy swiftly pounced out from behind the tree. Lily and James flung themselves to the ground once again to escape the monster. Still lying flat on the forest floor, Lily lifted her head and caught sight of the thing before it made for her. With a sickening jolt of realization, she knew what it was.

“It’s, it’s a Manticore!”

Lily’s mind flashed back to her third year when her Professor had lectured about this hideous beast. Although it had a reddish body of a lion complete with a tail lined with deadly spikes, the Manticore had the face of a human. However, its human face was more inhuman than its grotesque body, for its enormous jaws were set with three rows of razor-sharp teeth which it used to rip its favorite prey to pieces- humans. Lily had never once dreamed that she might fall prey to this monstrous creature.

Lily had no time to react as the Manticore sprang at her. She didn’t even have a chance to scream. All she had time to see was the Manticore running in what seemed like slow motion towards her. She saw it raise its blood-red paws and saw its steel claws. It grinned as it was about to slash her to pieces.

This must be Death’s smile.

Lily closed her lovely green eyes.

Its claws were mere centimeters from Lily’s face, when a large animal suddenly jumped magnificently through the air and bowled the Manticore over. The monster led out a chilling shriek and flopped onto the ground. It seemed bewildered but quickly regained its stance and slowly turned on all fours to face an enormous silver stag.

The stag’s coat seemed to glitter and light up the night, like a single flame of hope in a cold and hollow chamber of darkness. As Lily gazed at this gorgeous creature, she realized that she had seen him before. In fact, she had known him her whole life.

“James.”

Prongs immediately cantered over to Lily and stood protectively over her. The Manticore crouched down and eyed them beadily. Its ghastly face grinned to reveal all of its many rows of teeth.

It suddenly leaped towards them. But Prongs was ready. He caught it by his antlers and forcefully threw it aside once more. It toppled to the ground and lay still. Prongs cautiously walked over to the body on the floor.

Then, without warning, the Manticore sprang up, gripped Prong’s side with its claws, and sank all three rows of its teeth into Prongs’s front leg. Blood splattered across the pure body of the stag. The Manticore mercilessly flung Prongs aside and bit deeply into his other leg.

“NO!” Lily screamed. She gripped her wand and aimed. “Relashio!”

The Manticore let out another one of its monstrous shrieks as the spell hit it sharply in the hind leg, leaving a hole of oozing blood. It swiftly turned to face her. Its teeth were dripping with blood. Lily hastily stood up and prepared herself for the worst.

She would fight to the death. She was prepared to do anything. Anything to save James…

Behind the Manticore, James had transformed back to his human form. He was drenched in blood, but his pale face was set with determination. He managed to pick up his wand with trembling fingers and gave it a complicated wave. Suddenly, a large jewel encrusted sword appeared mid-air. James quickly caught it with both his arms.

It happened in a split second. The Manticore, too preoccupied with Lily, didn’t see James run up from behind. Using all of his remaining energy, James cried out as he plunged his sword deep into the monster’s neck.

The Manticore’s body seemed to tense up and struggle for a moment before it let out a final bone-chilling shriek. As James yanked out his sword, the Manticore burst into black ashes and disappeared.

James and Lily both stood still, gasping for air, and stared at the spot where the monster had disappeared for a moment, before James fell to his knees, supporting his weight on his sword. Lily immediately ran to him.

“Oh dear Merlin, oh dear Merlin…” she whispered, as she examined James’s injuries. He tried to smile. His face was rapidly loosing what little color it had left.

“All right Evans?” he grinned shakily.

“All right Evans?” Lily repeated tearfully. “You’re bleeding, and I don’t know how to stop it, and…and …you’re dying!” she sobbed. James gulped painfully.

“Dying? Why would I die?” James said, gasping for air.

“Shut up Potter! Don’t talk, it’ll drain your energy. Okay, don’t panic, don’t panic…” Lily muttered. She realized that if she didn’t keep her head, James really could die. She gave her head a quick shake and conjured some bandages with which she tenderly wrapped James’s wounds.

“That should stop some of the bleeding for now.”

She gently helped James lie down. He sank down onto the ground with a sharp gasp. Lily then carefully positioned herself on top of him to keep him warm without interrupting his breathing.

Lily had no idea where on earth they were. She was completely lost.

Alright Lily, stop panicking like some stupid child and think! You must think! Think for James!

Lily gave a short and determined sigh. She knew she couldn’t go for help and leave James in the middle of the forest, but was also too afraid to send up a help signal. It might attract even more horrors. She looked around her but saw nothing that could possibly be of any help.

Maybe I could…no, that wouldn’t work. Or maybe…no, that wouldn’t work either.

After several more minutes of failed mental plans, Lily felt even more confused and frustrated than before. At a loss for what to do, Lily stared up at the stars. Just an hour ago, she and James had been up there, flying through the night together…

Please, somebody, anybody. We need help. Any help…

There was a rustling of leaves. Lily’s head snapped around to her left and stared at the spot where the rustling had come from. She quickly whipped out her wand and aimed as the leaves of the bushes shook again. The rustling continued, then Lily heard someone shriek. Lily’s eyes widened as she heard the same voice give another scream a moment later.

“AHHH! Sirius, Sirius I’ve found them!”

Lily’s heart skipped several beats.

Could it be?

Just as this thought flashed across Lily’s mind, Alice’s round face emerged from the bushes.

“Lily! James! We’ve found you!”

A/N: I literally wrote this on a dark and stormy night at midnight. The funny thing was that something in the room next to me fell off its shelf and made me jump about two feet in the air (I get really into it when I’m writing). If you’ve never seen a picture of a manticore (yes-it’s a real legendary creature), I suggest you take a couple of seconds to search for a picture of one. It’s a pretty freaky looking thing. By the way, the white cloaks hint at who is behind all this. Okay- I think that this A/N is long enough!

PLEASE REVIEW!!!!
Wormtail's Tale by Shock
A/N: A little break from the events in the forest. A story told mainly by none other than Peter Pettigrew’s P.O.V. I’m telling you, it was quite a change from writing in Lily’s P.O.V. all the time.

It was nine o’clock in the evening, a little late for mousy round Peter Pettigrew to be scurrying along the corridors and hallways. He had been scuttling through the many chambers and passages of Hogwarts for some time now. The torches lining the stone walls made his exaggerated shadow dance weirdly on the cold floor. His watery eyes darted to and fro, as if searching for something. His breathing came in small rasps as his adrenaline continued to pump furiously. He quickened his pace, desperate. He turned sharply on the corner then stopped abruptly. His heart skipped with delight.

He had found her.

He quickly retreated into the shadows to hide himself. He peered out from the depths of the blackness and across the hall, which was illuminated by the gold glow the numerous torches had flung across it.

Bellatrix Black was standing at a tall arched window, gazing outside at the Quidditch pitch. Her glossy dark hair looked magnificent in the gold glow of the lights. She continued to stare outside, never blinking, never moving. Her chest was rising and falling steadily. She tightened her clench on her wand. There was a twisted look of hunger and fury on her pale face.

God, she’s beautiful.

He couldn’t take his eyes off of her. His mind couldn’t ever be filled enough with the sight of Bellatrix. His eyes scanned her from the top of her dark-haired head, to her pale long-fingered hands resting on the black-framed windowsill, to the very hem of her neatly pressed black robes. He gulped.

As Peter continued to ogle at Bellatrix, he thought of what he would give to make her see him as an attractive, tall, dark, and handsome man. A man of riches; a man of endless power - everything and anything except for what he really was. Everything and anything but ugly, small, squat, stupid, forlorn Peter Pettigrew.

“Besides,” Peter thought with a sad smirk as he sunk deeper into the shadows, “Even if I were all that, there would still be the others, especially Sirius.”

Suddenly, a seed of anger, not at all unfamiliar, sprouted in his heart.

“Why are they so prejudiced against Bella anyways?

He cast another glance at Bellatrix, who was still completely absorbed with the view outside.

“So she’s in Slytherin, so what? It’s good to be a little ambitious and assertive! Well, she can be a little too assertive, like when she attacked Lily and James on the train…but that’s just because Lily is too nice and stupid to fight back! Too weak for her own good…”

Peter shook his head and gave a small frustrated huff.

“Besides, Bella has a charm no other girl can ever match. She knows things.”

He smiled to himself. He continued to gaze upon Bellatrix’s glossy hazel hair glistening in the dancing flames. He thought back to the day it had happened, the day he had fallen in love with Bellatrix Black…

Fifth year

“Hurry up, Peter!”

“Come on now, Wormtail!”

“Hurry it up before I start sprouting roots and mineralizing myself with the healthy soils of our dear and beloved Hogwarts, which by the way, has smelled like dragon dung ever since you messed up our project in Herbology last Wednesday…”

“Shut up Sirius! I’m almost done,” fifteen-year-old Peter panted, as he struggled to shove the rest of his Knuts and Sickles into his pockets. With a frustrated swipe, he sent most of the coins spilling over his nightstand and scattering across the wooden floor of the boys’ dormitory.

“Dear Merlin, Peter, can’t you even put a couple coins in your pocket?” James grinned. “Wingardium Leviosa!

The dispersed coins were immediately lifted up into the air in unison. With a simple flick of his wand, James neatly parted the handful of coins into two separate groups and sent them flying into both of Peter’s front pockets.

“Thanks James,” Peter smiled.

“Yeah, now let’s go!” James, Sirius, and Remus shouted in altogether, impatiently tapping their feet. Sirius was squirming edgily as if he had to go to the bathroom.

Peter rushed over to them, and the four of them were out the door in a flash.

“Okay, since Sirius’s ‘parent or guardian’ unfortunately couldn’t sign his permission slip once again this year, it looks like we’ll all be going to Hogsmeade the good old-fashioned way.”

“What, through the witch’s hump?” Peter piped up. Several passing students stared at him curiously.

“Shh!” Remus hushed furiously.

“Do you want the whole school to find out about the path, or do you just want me to not go?” Sirius huffed angrily.

“Sorry,” Peter mumbled, a bit red in the face.

“Anyway…here’s the witch. Is the coast clear? Yeah? Okay, Peter, you first…”

Fifteen minutes later.

“Ah…fresh air! Finally, out of that boring tunnel!” Sirius yawned, as he stepped out of Honeyduke’s stretching his muscular limbs and shaking his head in a rather dog-like manner. A couple of passing girls giggled and eyed Sirius from head to toe.

“Boring? When we discovered it our second year, you thought it was most interesting thing in the whole damn world!” James exclaimed, grinning non the less.

“Ah well, we were a bunch of dumb arses that were much too easily entertained back in second year.”

“Tch. You’re all still a bunch of easily entertained dumb arses, you dumb arses.”

The group of boys spun around to come face to face with Anne. Her hair wasn’t short and flared, but was down and slightly passed her ears. A gold and red headband held the rest of her pitch black hair from spilling onto her face.

“Oh no,” Peter thought grievously. If there was anyone who truly intimidated him, it was Anne.

“Hey Anne,” Remus said somewhat shyly.

“Wu! Whoo, whoo! What brings you here?” Sirius shouted cheerfully, as if Anne were standing on the other side of the village.

“Someday, I hope they discover a spell strong enough to calm you and your over-energized mouth down Sirius Black,” Anne sighed. “Anyway, I secretly ditched Alice and Lily to come see you guys, so listen up. Have you heard of what’s going on in the village square?”

“No.”

“Well, there’s going to be a dance competition, the best dancers getting a brand new broom.”

“You’ve caught my attention already, Wu,” James grinned.

“Yes, I thought it would. But something better than a new broom can work out for you if you play your cards right, Potter.”

“Oh, and what’s that?”

“The competition is a competition for couples. Meaning- there needs to be a girl and a boy in order to enter. I also happen to know that Lily wants very badly to win a free broom…” Anne trailed off and eyed James with a slightly amused look, for James’s eyes had grown humongous and his jaw had dropped.

“OFF TO THE VILLAGE SQUARE!!”

Anne and the three remaining marauders calmly watched as James sped off through the crowd.

“Wow, James can run pretty damn fast,” Sirius said in a completely blank expression, watching James hastily shove an old witch out of the way and in return receive several sharp smacks from a wooden walking cane.

“It’s called the Lily Dust. Sprinkle some on and- voila- you are enabled with the speed of light,” Anne said in an equally nonchalant tone.

The four of them heaved a sigh and shook their heads.

“So…is there really a dance competition, or is there a bigger scam involved?” Remus inquired after a while.

“No, no. I’m actually telling the truth, for once,” Anne grinned. “Well, I think my work here is done. I’ll see you three boys later.” She turned gracefully around to leave.

“Wait!” Remus’s hand shot out and grabbed Anne’s hand. She turned around, a surprised look on her face.

“Er…do you think that competition will be any fun? I mean, a new broom doesn’t sound all bad…” Remus stuttered.

“Remus Lupin, are you asking me to dance with you?” Anne asked, with a suspicious glint in her eyes.

“Er…yes?” Remus squeaked, completely frozen and still clinging to Anne’s hand.

Anne glared at him for a moment, then split into a gorgeous grin.

“It’s a date!” she laughed.

Remus’s face melted into one of utmost relief. He then realized that he was still holding on to Anne’s hand. He quickly made to let go.

“Wait! Aren’t we on a date- for competition’s sake, of course?” Anne asked hastily, grabbing his hand, a worried frown on her face.

Remus gazed into her black eyes. He let out a small chuckle.

“For competition’s sake, just this once,” he smiled.

Anne beamed. She always felt so happy around Remus. Even the whole school knew that if one wanted to improve Anne’s moods, all one had to do is fetch Remus.

“What are we waiting for then? Let’s go! Oh, you two want to come along?” Anne asked looking at Peter, who gulped, then at Sirius, who had long ago lost interest in the conversation and was handsomely leaning on the glass window of Honeyduke’s and fully spacing out.

“Huh, what? Dance? Oh, dance! Sure let’s go dance!” Sirius said excitedly, as he snapped out of his trance.

“What about you Peter? You coming along?” Anne questioned, giving Peter one of her eagle-like stares.

“Er, no. No, thank you,” Peter muttered while secretly wondering what Remus possibly saw in a girl like Anne.

“What? Oh no, no, no, no, no! That won’t do! Today you’re my date Peetie-weetie!” Sirius cooed as he linked arms with Peter.

“Sirius, let go!” Peter panted, as he struggled to pry Sirius off but to no avail.

Why is Sirius so much damn stronger than me?

“Well, you two love-birds make up your minds. Remus and I are off!”

“Come on Peter! It’ll be fun!” Remus managed to say, as he and Anne ran off towards the village square.

Peter grunted uncomfortably. He had a feeling that today was going to be a long day. Before he could spare a second thought, Sirius suddenly swept Peter off his feet with both arms like a newly-wed bride. The next thing Peter knew, Sirius began running full speed towards the village square.

“PUT ME DOWN SIRIUS BLACK, NOW!” Peter squealed uncontrollably. Peter’s shrill squeaks only added to Sirius’s excitement, and he soon broke into break-neck speed.

Heads turned as bystanders observed a tall handsome boy carrying a squat screaming boy zoom down the cobbled streets of Hosmeade. Then-

SPLAT!

Sirius, running so quickly, had been too late to see the pool of mud in front of him. He ran straight into it, creating a spectacular shower of mud and muck. Fortunately, he had managed to maintain his stance; however, it had cost Peter his cleanliness, for Sirius had accidentally thrown Peter into the air in to keep his stance.

Peter went flying through the air, screeching his lungs out. Everyone in the vicinity winced and “ooh’ed” as he landed hard right on his bum, creating a massive tidal wave of slimy mud.

As the sludge oozed between the strands of his stringy hair and down his back, Peter desperately tried to clear the filth and the tears of embarrassment from his eyes. The crowd that had formed around him and Sirius was doubling up with laughter. Many were pointing their fingers at him. Even Sirius was laughing his brains out.

But, of course, no one laughs at handsome, funny, smart Sirius Black. Oh no, everyone laughs at small stupid Peter!

At this thought, more tears leaked out of Peter’s small eyes.

“Look mum! He’s older than me, and he’s crying!” a toddler exclaimed, pointing at Peter and tugging animatedly on his mother’s sleeve.

Peter glared at the little boy angrily from behind the sludge covering his face. Sirius continued to howl with laughter. A pack of girls had formed a semi-circle around him and were looking him over with hopeful looks.

Everyone ignores me. No one ever understands me.

Peter stared at Sirius, who was still cracking up with laughter.

Not even my stupid friends understand. I’m never in the clean spotlight. I’m just…just…

A loser.

“And you call yourself a good friend Sirius Black?”

Heads turned to stare at a young girl with dark hazel hair tied back in a ponytail and hollow eyes.

Sirius abruptly stopped laughing and spun around to face the speaker.

“Well if it isn’t my favorite cousin! Bella-bitch, oops, I mean, Bellatrix,” Sirius smiled innocently.

Bellatrix glowered angrily back at him.

“Shut your mouth, you worthless piece of filth, you low-life! You have no right to rebuke me when you go around humiliating your noble family and then your own friends! Woe to my poor aunt for bringing such a wretched and unworthy son into this world!”

“And since when did you turn into someone so caring?” Sirius growled.

“I had to say something on behalf of our pure blood and the poor boy who you claim is your friend, yet fling down into the mud!”

“Ha! Like you actually have feelings capable of pity and care! Go take your crap somewhere else, and spare us your damn sermon!”

“What, don’t you think this boy has feelings too? Your self-absorbedness sickens me, you low dog!”

“Piss off!” Sirius barked irritably.

“You dare to tell me something like that, you betrayer of blood, shame of my poor aunt’s flesh! May you die and be cursed into oblivion!” Bellatrix screeched, her face contorted with rage.

“I said piss off! No one cares about your stupid blood mania!”

Bellatrix seemed on the verge of whipping out her wand, but she merely let out a snort and turned to face Peter.

“You listen to me Pettigrew. This dog,” she pointed to Sirius, “doesn’t give a damn about anyone but himself and his stupid looks. From what I can see, he‘s just using you as some play thing to get more attention for himself.”

“Yeah, and I’m sure Peter really believes that!” Sirius snarled. “In case you haven’t noticed, we’ve been good friends for about FIVE years now!”

“Open your eyes Pettigrew! Open them to the truth!” Bellatrix walked over to Peter, stooped down and whispered in his ear,“ You’re worth more than that. You’re worth more than a mere toy for Sirius Black. I personally think that you’re capable of making more impressive and appreciative friends.”

She paused, then murmured,” Slytherin is always waiting for the ambitious. Keep Sirius and his idiotic laughs and pranks, or follow us. Follow us and reach glory, power, and acceptance.”

Bellatrix gave Peter a sly grin and slowly stood up.

“I’ll be waiting for you, Pettigrew.”

She turned around with a final nod at Peter and walked away. Peter watched her disappear with an open mouth.

“Yeah, that’s right! You had better walk off!” Sirius yelled triumphantly after her. He gave a short bark of a laugh then turned around to Peter. “You okay Peetie?”

But Peter wasn’t listening. His eyes were transfixed on Bellatrix.

Someone actually stood up for me. Not only that, she actually understood me…

Bellatrix Black continued her walk down the streets and disappeared from Peter’s sight.


The sound of Bellatrix’s black shoes echoed on the cobbled street as she neared a dark alley. She was about to pass it when a voice suddenly sounded from somewhere in the darkness of the alley.

“That was one of the most convincing shows I have ever seen you give Bellatrix,” said the voice.

Bellatrix stopped dead in her tracks and smirked.

“Why thank you, Severus,” she said sweetly, turning to face a stringy teenager step out of the shadows.

Severus Snape wore a satisfied grin on his thin and pale lips. His gangly, greasy black hair hung around his pallid face, making his eyes seem more sunken and mysterious. His height was average, but he was much too thin, giving him the air of one suppressed in the darkness of a prison. His black robes hung loosely from his bony limbs.

“So… you’ve figured it out, haven’t you, Severus?” Bellatrix said quietly, looking Snape straight in the eyes.

Snape nodded silently.

“It’s an ingenious plan, using Pettigrew to get to Potter, and perhaps his Mudblood also.”

“Yes. I have to say, the fat little dim-wit couldn’t keep his eyes off me after my little speech, which was absolutely drenched with pity,” Bellatrix chuckled maliciously.

“Pettrigrew has never had a second glance from anyone in his entire miserable life, and, because he has no brains to whatsoever, he’s never had a chance to do anything about it. But now, you’ve given him the chance, hope, and love he’s been searching for,” Snape smirked. “It won’t be long until he joins you.”

“Will he be the only one joining us?” Bellatrix inquired, taking a step forward towards Snape.

Snape’s grin melted off his face.

“Severus, you know that we need you. I’ve told my master of your quick wits, and he’s impressed with what he‘s heard. We would be much honored by your presence…”

“I…I have considered your invitation several times. I do not know. My ‘quick wits’ tell me there is danger, and most Slytherins prefer to stay out of troublesome matters-”

“Yes, but the thirst for power and glory is strong in all Slytherins,” Bellatrix quickly interjected. “I can sense this thirst in you, Severus… And besides, I thought that your loathing of Potter would overcome any cowardice you might possess.”

“I have no cowardice!” Snape spat.

“I know. And that’s why we want you. The fact that you haven’t gone running to Dumbledore already is proof of your growing loyalty!”

Snape remained silent. He stared sullenly at the ground.

“I’ll think about it.”

“You do that, Severus,” Bellatrix said, still staring straight at him. “Well, enjoy the rest of your day. I’ll be seeing you later, Severus Snape.” With that, Bellatrix departed and disappeared down the dirt path leading to Hogwarts.

“Yes…I’m sure we will be seeing much more of each other soon, Bellatrix Black.” Snape turned on his heel and exited the alley in the opposite direction.

A few moments passed before Anne stepped out from behind a wall by a restroom.

“So… the evil bitch is planning to use Peter to get to my friends,“ Anne muttered. She stared in the direction in which Bellatrix disappeared. “You’ll only get to James and Lily over my dead body,” she whispered.

A/N: Hello everyone! I know this chapter isn’t nearly as action-packed as the last, but it’s still VERY important to show Peter’s little thing for Bella. It’s an important part of what will happen to all the characters in the end. Also, I have a small request to make-- please review for ANY of the chapters, not just the one that was posted most recently. This really helps me in writing the next chapters!! Thank you to all the loyal readers!
Shattering Dreams: Part I. by Shock
A/N: This chapter is really more on the dark/angst side, but I think it turned out okay! I was originally going to merge it with the next chapter, but then everything got confusing and long and…well, it kind of got out of hand so I split it into two chapters and I think it’s perfectly fine now! Enjoy!


“OUCH! IT GOT ME!”

“What? What’s wrong? What happened?”

“The stupid branch poked me!”

Alice rolled her eyes as she slapped her forehead. After letting out an exasperated but relieved sigh, she mechanically spun around and, with narrowed eyes and pursed lips, slapped Sirius straight across the shoulder with all her might.

“MMMFFF! It burns, it burns, it burns!” Sirius gritted his teeth as his eyes began to water. “Argh! Let go! I said let go, you evil spawn of a woman!”

Sirius’s shouts of anguish were muffled by Alice‘s hand, which had been expertly trained over the years to automatically clamp itself around Sirius’s mouth upon forcefully hitting him.

“You scared me Sirius! I seriously thought that you were in danger for a moment there,” Alice sighed irritably, her hand not budging from the tightly compressed position on top of the mouth of a desperately struggling Sirius, who was now anxiously attempting to bite off Alice’s fingers.

Alice coolly waited for Sirius to calm down, which he succeeded in doing a few minutes later, as usual. As he did, he stared at Alice with large tearful eyes, causing Alice’s complexion, at first scathing and unmoving, to slowly melt into an expression of pity and sympathy.

“Oh, all right Siri. You win. But I’ll only let go on the condition that you keep that highly animated- but wonderfully handsome,” Alice added hastily, glancing at Sirius’s tear-brimming eyes,” -mouth of yours shut. We have to concentrate on finding our friends before who knows what happens.”

Sirius nodded vigorously back in response. Alice slowly removed her hand.

“Ack- finally! Free, free at last!” Sirius quietly rejoiced, opening and stretching his jaws as soon as Alice was a few paces in front of him and out of slapping distance.

Alice gave him a worried look.

“Now remember Sirius, you promised not to make a peep. And, in the case you do cause up a commotion again, Anne has trained me very well in the area of slapping. Speaking of Anne, she’s going to have my head when I tell her that I let you scream,” Alice muttered anxiously, pacing back and forth like she always did when nervous. She spun around to face Sirius once more.

“She and Remus trusted us enough to let us pair up and go search for Lily and James without them. I know Remus and Anne will do a great job looking for James and Lily on their own, but that doesn’t mean that we shouldn’t try our hardest either!” Alice said determined, but hushed voice.

Sirius stared at her for a moment before smiling tenderly. He walked over to Alice and gently placed his hand on her shoulder.

“Don’t worry. I won’t fool around anymore. After all, Prongs is my closest friend, and you and I both know that I’d do anything to help him.”

Alice gazed up into Sirius’s strikingly handsome grey eyes.

“I know, Sirius, I know,” Alice smiled back, her body relaxing a bit.

Sirius beamed at her, then wrapped her into a comforting embrace. A few minutes passed before they broke away.

“Now, on with ‘Mission S.M.S.O.B.: Uproot the Flower With the Potter,’ as Anne phrased so nicely for us,” Alice said cheerfully. “Come on Sirius…Sirius?”

Alice stared confusedly at Sirius, who had suddenly frozen. His whole body seemed to tense up, as all his senses began to tingle with the instinctive warning that had been built into his system over his many years at Hogwarts. He tightened his grip on his wand.

He turned sharply around, causing Alice to gasp in surprise and hastily fumble out her own wand. Sirius’s eyes wandered into the tree-infested distance in front of them, then gradually traveled up to gaze into the night sky. As he aimed up into the heavens, both he and Alice heard the flapping of many wings.

It came quickly forward, like a thunder storm appearing seemingly out of nowhere in a clear blue sky. The flapping grew closer and closer with every second and seemed to sound from every corner of the forest. The smell of rotting flesh ensnared the misty atmosphere surrounding the two frightened teens.

Alice, following Sirius’s example, had also directed her wand up at the sky. She desperately tried to block out the increasingly foul smell that was smothering them with a fist full of the sleeve of her robes.

As the sound of flapping wings continued to fly speedily towards them, Sirius snapped around.

”RUN!”

He lunged at Alice, grabbed her by the hand, and began racing though the forest, dodging innumerable branches and leaves and causing the carpet of dry leaves on the forest floor to continually crackle and snap under their swift feet.

Alice made no queries whatsoever, but ran with Sirius with all her might, breathing in rapid and terror-stricken gasps. She managed to glance over her shoulder and thought she saw the glinting of a strange myriad of countless pieces of metal suspended mid-air.

Sirius furiously tugged on Alice‘s hand whenever she slowed down, forcing them to run faster and faster until he spotted a large fallen trunk of a tree lying on the ground in the distance. He never would have thought that such an old, ugly tree could look like such a holy sanctuary.

“QUICK, BEHIND THE LOG!” Sirius bellowed, as he desperately threw Alice and then himself behind the decaying wood.

He did so not a moment too soon, for as soon as Sirius and Alice had flung themselves into the safe haven of the shadows cast by the gargantuan tree, a countless number of gigantic, pitch black birds swarmed overhead, creating a bizarre moving ceiling above the pointed treetops.

As Alice pinched her nose with her fingers in an attempt to block out their sickening odor, she noticed that all of the humongous beasts carried talons of jagged, shiny copper. Try as she might, Alice couldn’t make out anything else in the mass of flying black that had merged with the darkness.

The strange creatures flew swiftly on into the night, their mammoth wings slicing through the air. Like the flow of the ocean’s tide, they soon disappeared into the dark horizon.

Sirius waited several minutes before unplugging his nose and daring to speak.

“What the hell was that?” he exclaimed, his eyes focusing towards the direction the uncanny mass had vanished to. He groaned and began to massage his temples as he turned around to face Alice. “Are you okay Alice?”

Sirius turned around and stared. For a few seconds, he was paralyzed with shock. He gave his head a violent shake and pinched himself, but the image before him remained as clear as ever.

Sirius had come face to face with not Alice, but himself.

Sirius stood immobile, nailed to the ground as he continued to stare, dumb-founded, at his exact replica. The replica returned Sirius’s stare, but unlike the actual Sirius, it was wearing a cryptic grin.

Sirius was pushed violently out of his daze as he heard Alice let out an unnerving screech of terror. He barely managed to snatch a glance of another replica, this time one of Alice, brandish its wand at the true Alice. There was a sudden blinding flash of red light as Sirius yelled out in horror. As the light receded, Sirius saw to his devastation, Alice lying limply on the dusty ground.

He barely had time to register the sight of Alice’s body, before his own duplicate turned its wand on him. The duplicate raised its wand, but before it had brought it down in a forceful slash, Sirius swiftly waved his wand in the pattern of a pentagon above his head.

A silent flash of lightning erupted from the tip of the duplicate’s wand as it brought it crashing down onto Sirius’s skull.




“Do you think they went in far, Moony?” Anne whispered to Remus, who was a couple paces in front of her, as she nimbly leaped over a fallen log.

“It’s hard to say. We merely saw them come in this way, and with all these wretched leaves on the damn floor, we can’t pick up any tracks,” Remus muttered agitatedly. He gave an aggravated sigh, and after a moment, turned around to face Anne. “Do you really think it was such a good idea to split up? I mean, I know Sirius can handle himself physically, but verbally, I’m not so sure.”

Anne smiled. Remus always seemed so poised and calm, but she knew that many of the times he was actually very worried in the inside. He just didn’t show it in case it made the others nervous.

“I’m sure they’ll be fine. And if he does misbehave, Alice hasn’t been around me for years without learning anything. She knows how to shut people up if she wants to,” Anne grinned as she stepped up next to Remus.

“Yeah…yeah I’m sure they’ll be fine,” Remus murmured, calming down as he observed Anne’s own composure. He made to turn around and set off once more, but before he did, he whispered to Anne, “You know Anne, you’re like fresh water to me. You always refresh me, and quench me in my times of dire thirst. Always cool and clean…Yeah, cool and clean.”

Remus grinned at her, then turned around and continued to walk ahead. Anne stared.

“That smile…The smile that makes my heart skip and my chest tighten. Every time I see it, I feel like I’m sinking into a pool mixed with anxiety and nirvana,” Anne blushed.

“Why, Remus Lupin, why can’t we be together?

Anne gave her head a forceful shake. The thought that had haunted her for years began to penetrate her thoughts once more. Even though she promised her conscience every day to never let that thought come up again, her sub-conscience wouldn’t let it go.

But she knew that they could never be together. They had agreed on it themselves many years ago. They had acknowledged it as their destiny ever since that night. The night she found out…

Remus suppressed a scream as Anne unknowingly stepped onto his heel.

“Oh! I’m so sorry Moony! Did I hurt you badly?” Anne startled.

“No, no. You just surprised me, that’s all. I’m fi-” Remus abruptly stopped speaking. He had suddenly sensed that someone, or something, was lurking in the darkness of the trees, spying on their conversation.

Anne, too, felt a strange sensation. Both she and Remus quickly side-stepped behind a tree while simultaneously whipping out their wands. They stood back-to-back so that if something attacked them from one direction, at least one of them would be ready to defend against it.

A few silent seconds slipped past, during which both Anne and Remus held their breaths, hoping that their instincts were wrong in that they both sensed something dangerous was creeping towards them on noiseless feet.

After a while, they lowered their wands and let out a sigh of relief. They laughed uneasily.

“That was a tad bit scar-” Anne finished her sentence with a scream of surprise and fright.

The tree that they had been using as a shield had suddenly sprung into life. As quick as a flash, it wound its long, jagged branches tightly around Anne and Remus‘s wrists and ankles. In their surprise and confusion, they both lost hold of their wands and watched helplessly as their only source of defense dropped to the ground.

Both of them struggled furiously with all their might, but neither of them prevailed. The strength of the tree was too great for them, and without their wands it was hopeless. Soon the monstrous tree had tightly stretched out their arms and legs, so that they resembled strange and distorted human stars.

Anne tried not to scream in pain, as she felt the sharp branches slowly press into her skin. She twisted her head to the right to try and catch a glimpse of Remus, but as soon as she did, the tree wrapped its branches firmly around her neck, slowly choking her.

She could hear Remus frantically screaming her name as everything in front of her began to spin, and she no longer could feel the continual supply of air that she suddenly realized she had always taken for granted. She struggled, but it was no use. She knew that these few horrific moments would very likely be her last.

“Remus,” she gagged. She could barely make out his voice still yelling out her own name.

Just as Anne began to lose all hope and consciousness, she felt her ensnarer loosen its grip about her bleeding neck. She choked and coughed as she graciously filled her lungs with precious air.

Suddenly, the tree’s firm grips about their ankles and wrists transformed into cuffs of iron, and its long branches likewise turned into long heavy chains.

Anne, still suspended mid-air by the chains, watched in amazed horror as her surroundings began to distort itself and melt like wax. She felt as if she were being thrust into a Dali. Everything- first the ground along with their wands, then the trees, and even the stars- began to twist and warp itself. They kept twisting and twisting, until they suddenly stopped and stood still.

Anne looked about her, bewildered. Then, in a blink of an eye, everything disappeared and all was swallowed into a vast void of pitch black darkness.

Anne hung limply with shock, her breathing coming out in short rasps. She tried to master the terror that was creeping up her throat.

“Remus?” she cried out into the darkness.

“I’m right here, Anne!” Remus sounded from somewhere to Anne’s right.

She quickly turned her head to see Remus chained mid-air beside her. Besides the fact that he was extremely pale and bleeding at the wrists and ankles, he wore a relieved and almost happy expression on his face.

“Are you all right? Your neck- it’s bleeding,” he stuttered.

“Yes, I’m fine,” Anne managed to smile. She suddenly realized that they were both drenched in cold sweat. She swallowed painfully as she felt the marks the wretched tree had left upon her neck.

She gazed at Remus, who was rattling his chain in renewed attempts to free himself. As long as he was okay, she was sure she would make it too.

But no longer had this thought escaped her mind, something stirred out of the darkness. With lightning speed, a strange elongated mass of black blob stretched and slithered its way like some demented snake towards Remus. He didn’t even have time to blink as it swiftly suctioned itself directly onto his face.

Anne didn’t realize that she had begun to scream. All she was aware of was the sight of the love of her life literally being erased into nothingness.

As Anne feverishly tugged at her chains, the black blob continued to take swift swipes at different sections of Remus’s body, each time erasing that specific part of him.

In a matter of seconds, Remus had disappeared, and Anne was left alone in the endless expanse of darkness to be drowned by the stifling quiescence, which was only periodically punctured by her sobs.




Please, somebody, anybody. We need help. Any help…

There was a rustling of leaves. Lily’s head snapped around to her left and stared at the spot where the rustling had come from. She quickly whipped out her wand and aimed as the leaves of the bushes shook again. The rustling continued, then Lily heard someone shriek. Lily’s eyes widened as she heard the same voice give another scream a moment later.

“AHHH! Sirius, Sirius I’ve found them!”

Lily’s heart skipped several beats.

Could it be?

Just as this thought flashed across Lily’s mind, Alice’s round face emerged from the bushes.

“Lily! James! We’ve found you!”

Alice shrieked with joy as she ran to where Lily lay. Alice’s face was wet with tears, and, as she helped Lily lift herself off James and shakily rise to her feet, Lily began to sob.

She threw her arms around the neck of her beloved friend and sobbed hysterically, letting out in short gasps and stifled mumbles of the horrors, trials, and the feelings of endless hopelessness she had endured throughout the night.

At that moment, though, Lily felt as if she were the happiest person on the face of the planet. Alice was there now, and they’d get James to the castle, safely into the hospital wing, and all would be well. She could finally say that everything would be okay.

But even as she related these feelings to her dear friend, she couldn’t help but feel that something was amiss.

Her tears began to recede as she realized that Alice- warm, affable, loving Alice- was not returning her embrace. Lily gulped as her heart suddenly skipped a beat. At the same time, she felt an odd and nerve-racking sensation fill her stomach. It rather felt as if the bottom of her stomach was falling out.

The paralyzing effect of horror and fear, now so familiar to her after all the events of the night were beginning, once again, to snare Lily’s senses. Terror-stricken, she couldn’t bring herself to pull out of the cold embrace.

“Alice, how did you find me?” Lily whispered, more afraid to hear the answer than anything.

Alice didn’t answer, only adding to Lily’s increasing emotion of dread.

“Alice?”

Taking a deep breath, as if preparing to dive into death‘s arms, Lily slowly withdrew her arms around Alice, and looked into the eyes of the one whom she had assumed to be her loving friend.

What she saw made her nearly vomit but her inestimable fear made everything within her freeze. She even felt herself stop breathing.

In the face of the stranger, Lily saw not the familiar warm brown eyes of Alice, but two gaping eye sockets, raw and red with rotting flesh. Even more gruesome than its eyes, was its mouth, which was twisted into a horrific grin.

The shock of seeing something so disgusting and wretched resemble one of her closest friends paralyzed Lily‘s very soul. She couldn’t even budge as she felt the horrible creature press its wand into her back.

“Alice…”

BANG!

The sound of the deadly curse echoed throughout the entire forest.




A/N: I hope that was suspenseful enough! REVIEW PLEASE!

A/N #2: Okay... so I just finished writing almost the rest of the Shattering Dreams sagas and there's more than just two parts to it. I hope that's okay... I don't want to make the Shattering Dreams saga very long if this first part isn't interesting with the readers. Well, review and tell me what you all think! Thanks!

A/N #3: Two of you guys reviewed saying how confusing this chapter is and I'm glad you told me because I just wanted to clear it up. This chapter is very confusing. All these things just start popping up with no explanation, right? Good! It's supposed to be that way! I'm almost done with the next three chapters and the answers will become more and more clear, but just to warn you, this is only the beginning! Thanks to all the readers! I'll stop writing this gigantic A/N now!
Shattering Dreams: Part II. by Shock
BANG!

Lily’s voice caught painfully in her throat as she started violently at the sound of the deadly curse slicing through the cold night air.

She could feel her lungs tighten and the oxygen discontinue its fluid flow down her throat. She stared wide-eyed into the dark empty space.

All grew into a stifling silence.

The black ceiling seemed to revolve slowly around Lily’s dazed head.

The gruesome replica‘s grip on its wand slowly loosened. The wand slipped from its finger and dropped onto the floor. Its arms fell limply to its sides.

Lily could feel her own blood draining from her face as she stared at the constant stream of blood trickling from its gaping macabre eyes, down its wretched face.

A grotesque grin was still plastered on its face as it fell slowly forward.

Its head came to rest face-down on Lily’s shoulder.

With the a sickening feeling as if her stomach were being pulled out, Lily felt the warm blood spread over her shoulder and slowly soak the left arm of her robes. She could feel the wet fabric to stick to her arm.

With a sudden jerk, Lily finally managed to unclench her taut throat. With a scream filled with horror and disgust, she quickly stepped back and away from the monstrous creature.

It fell face-forward onto the forest floor and lay still. Lily, paralyzed, watched the blood seep from its hollow eyes onto the cold ground.

With eyes still wide, she spotted the large hole in its back where the deadly curse had struck. Black smoke began to curl up from the gaping hole.

Lily stared at it, her pupils small with fright, her breathing coming out in rapid gasps. She could feel her whole body shaking with shock and terror.

Her gaze soon lifted off the lifeless corpse to its attacker standing a short distance away in front of her. Her eyes locked on the attacker.

Alice was standing in front Lily, her feet firmly planted on the ground, her wand still poised in the position it had been when it had delivered the deadly curse into the back of her hideous replica. Her wand was still emitting curling wisps of black smoke.

Lily stared.

“Alice…is that really you?”




Anne numbly watched a tear escape her eye and slowly make its way down her cheek. It came to a momentary halt at the tip of her chin and quivered for a moment before dropping off and plunging into the bottomless darkness she was imprisoned above.

She had stopped struggling long ago. Remus was gone and there was no way to get him back. Struggling would mean that she wanted to survive and live, but she couldn’t survive and she certainly could not live if Remus wasn’t there by her side.

All Anne could manage to do now was yearn for a quick death so she could be with him again. She didn’t care what happened now, as long as she could see Remus and do what she had wanted to do for years now.

She would walk up to him and wrap her arms around him. She’d tell him that she didn’t care about anything else as long as they were together forever. No, not even forever. Forever wouldn’t be long enough.

She’d finally tell him that she loved him; loved him more than anything, more than anything in the world.

As long as he would stand by her, she would go with him to the ends of the earth. Even in this dark prison, all she could think about was him.

It didn’t matter what he was. It didn’t matter what had happened to her in the past. They just needed each other. If they had that, if they held strong to each other, if they truly loved each other, then nothing could get in their way. Nothing…

Something suddenly stirred in the vast blackness.

Anne slowly lifted her head. Her keen eyes focused into the empty black void in front of her. Something was coming.

She would be seeing Remus very soon.

A black blob suddenly emerged and twisted itself into an elongated mass eerily resembling a snake. It reared its faceless head and swiftly slithered towards Anne.

Anne watched calmly, with a crazed smile on her face, as the blackness slithered nearer and nearer.

She closed her eyes.

She could almost see Remus smiling at her.




Lily couldn’t break her eyes away from Alice.

All she could do was stare. All that was running through her mind was the doubtful thought of whether this person was truly her friend. Everything just seemed to be a hoax now. Nothing good seemed possible of even existing anymore. Only horror seemed to remain.

And yet, there was something like a sprout of hope suddenly emerging in Lily’s thumping heart.

Alice could only manage to return Lily’s gaze as tears began to fall from her eyes.

More tears painfully followed as Alice observed the scratches and blood covering the body of her dear friend.

“Alice, is that really you?” Lily asked once more in a tremulous and uncertain voice.

Alice tightly shut her eyes to squeeze out the remaining tears as she lowered her wand.

“Yes Lily. It’s me,” Alice replied, her voice choking with an amalgam of sorrow and relief. Lily simply stared back with blank eyes, but Alice thought she saw something like realization flicker in those brilliantly green eyes.

“It’s me. It’s your friend,“ she said softly, taking a step towards the suspicious and frightened Lily. Lily didn‘t budge as Alice came nearer, but quickly tightened her sweaty grip on her wand.

“It’s the Alice you’ve known throughout our years at Hogwarts. The girl you defended from bullies. The girl you showed so much kindness for. The girl you’ve always cared for like a sister…” Alice broke off as more tears trickled down her cheek.

Lily gazed at Alice’s glistening eyes. She watched a pearly tear slip down her smooth cheek.

They’re real tears. They’re not blood. They’re not empty. They’re real…

Lily suddenly collapsed on to her knees. “Oh Alice!” she cried out.

Alice ran to her and wrapped her in a mother-like hug. The two girls began sobbing onto each others’ shoulders.

“Where are the others?” Lily managed to inquire through her tears.

As if right on queue, Sirius suddenly emerged from the thorny bushes. He had his wand out and at the ready. He looked warily about before his eyes landed on Lily and Alice sitting on the ground.

“Alice! Lily!”

“Sirius!” the girls cried out in unison.

“Siri, you survived! Thank Merlin!” Alice cried tearfully.

He ran over to them and, after making sure that they were alright, plopped down onto the ground, completely exhausted.

“Wait! Don’t sit down yet,” Lily said, hurriedly wiping the tears from her eyes. “James-he’s hurt- quickly,” Lily turned around. Still too shaken and weak to stand up properly, she managed to crawl over to where James lay unconscious on the cold floor.

“Oh my goodness,” Alice whispered, as she scrambled after her. Sirius hurriedly followed on his hands and knees.

“What, what happened to him?” Sirius asked with bewildered eyes, as he gaped down at James’s bloody and limp form.

“And what in the name of all that is good, lethal, and shiny is that?” he exclaimed, as his eyes alighted on the magnificent sword still jammed upright into the dark soil. Alice gasped as her eyes settled on it.

“We were attacked. Attacked by a Manticore. James, he used that to kill it,” Lily said in a hushed and quivering tone, gently wiping James forehead with her sleeve. Both Alice and Sirius turned to gape at her with wide and fearful eyes, unable to utter a single word.

Lily didn‘t return their stares. She merely continued to wipe James’s blood-spattered face. She replaced his blood-soaked bandages with newly conjured ones. All of her movements were done with the absolute most care and gentleness.

As she finished tightly knotting the last of the bandages around James’s leg, Lily found herself gazing upon his pallid face. With all her scratches and scrapes, her heart was still the part of her body that ached the most. She felt like it was being wrenched from her soul as she stared at the face that she was so used to seeing flushed and alive with excitement. She felt like she was staring into the face of a stranger. His face looked so strangely thin and pale…

You had better not do anything stupid, Potter. You had better not leave me, or else I’m going to have to follow you. I don’t know what I’d do without seeing that messy black hair everyday. I don’t know how I could go on without that arrogant grin of yours. I know that I wouldn’t last long if you never told me you loved me one more time.

Lily suddenly felt more afraid than she had ever felt that entire horrible night.

Please, just say it one more time, James, and I‘ll finally be brave enough to give you the answer we‘ve both wanted to hear for years now.

Painful hot tears welled up in Lily’s brilliant eyes.

“James…”

Alice and Sirius remained silent.

Darkness swallowed the four friends with hungry jaws. The silence was thick and suppressing. All seemed to be hopeless and dire, but somehow, they knew they would make it.

They had each other now.




Anne calmly waited for the faceless snake to suction itself onto her, just as it had done with Remus.

She could feel her neck dripping blood. Her wrists and ankles pulsed with the pain caused by the embedded thorns.

Flooded with grief and fatigue, she let her head limply fall back.

The strange denseness of the quiescent silence began to press into her body, smothering her.

She waited, but nothing happened. All was still.

Confused and somewhat angry for having to wait to see Remus again, Anne straightened her neck and opened her eyes once more. Her eyes widened at the sight in front of her.

The demented snake’s faceless head was mere centimeters away from her own. It had frozen mid-air, and, although it had no eyes, Anne could feel its empty stare piercing her body.

Suddenly, its elongated body began to shorten. Within seconds, its length was almost equal to Anne’s own height. Its entire form began to violently churn and twist itself. Its head stretched grotesquely and coiled itself like rubber before plunging itself into its distorting body.

Anne silently watched with wide and amazed eyes as the black blob continued to warp itself. As it continued to twist itself more and more, it began to take on a crude form resembling that of a human.

A head emerged first, its mouth gaping for air. Arms and legs then shakily twisted and shot out from the black mass that had been transformed into a human body.

Like the snake, this bizarre model of a human had no face. But like before, Anne could sense its silent gaze penetrating her.

All at once, the blackness began to melt away from the human body. Like a coat of tar being washed away, the blackness concealing the face and features of the uncanny being began to melt off, starting from the very top of its head and making its way down to its very toes.

The strange black shadow slowly dissolved to reveal a true human being, standing in its place.

Anne felt her heart stop as she looked into the eyes of the person that had appeared before her. As she did, she could feel hot flames of rage shooting through her heart and pervading every limb of her body. Her body felt aflame with hate. Tears of fury filled her eyes.

Bellatrix Black had revealed herself at last.


“Come on,” Sirius said gently. “We have to go,” he whispered, laying his hand on Lily’s shoulder. Silent tears were still running down Lily’s cheeks.

“Where are the others?” she asked quietly, not budging. Her eyes were closed, as if she was afraid to hear the answer.

“We split up into teams,” Alice said softly. “If we didn’t find you guys within two hours, we were going to meet them outside the forest. Seems like we made a big mistake in doing that…”

Lily’s mind froze. Her heart skipped a beat, as she fearfully wondered where Anne and Remus were. They could be anywhere in the forest, open for attack from who knew what? And it was all to save her and James…

Sirius heaved a stressful sigh as Lily scrunched up her face in a brave attempt to stop more tears from flowing down her face. He gently gripped her shoulders and turned her around to face him.

“Look, if Manticores are popping out of the woods and copies of ourselves are running around this place, I think that’s a hint that we should get our arses moving,” he said grimly.

Lily couldn’t help but smile at Sirius‘s morbid humor. Alice approvingly patted his arm.

“Come on, help me put James onto my back.”

As Sirius extended a shaky hand to lift James onto a piggy-back ride, Lily suddenly noticed a deep gash on the back of his hand. It was oozing with what looked like glowing puss.

“Sirius! What’s happened to your hand?” Lily exclaimed.

Sirius gave a surprised jump and hastily tried to conceal his hand with the sleeves of his robes, but Alice was too quick for him. Her hand shot out and grabbed his wrist. Try as he might to wriggle quickly out of Alice’s clench, she managed to hold it long enough to fully reveal the extent of the horrible injury.

Both girls stared at him, horrified, as he hurriedly wrenched away his hand. He quickly loaded James on to his back.

“Come on. Let’s go,” he said rather nervously. The girls exchanged uncertain looks before starting to follow Sirius through the tall trees.

Lily suddenly halted in her tracks.

The sword.

She raced back to where it stood firmly in the ground like the sword of Excalibur. She gazed at it in awe before yanking it out with a grunt. Specks of dirt flew through the air as it came out with an echoing shing.

Patting herself on the back for choosing to wear a belt that day, she slipped the sword through the belt's side. It was surprisingly light. Lily checked to make sure it was secure before hurrying after the others.

In a matter of minutes, the four of them were plodding their way through the dark forest. Their eyes were wide open. All of their senses were alert and tense. Their wands were at the ready.

“Siri,” Alice’s voice, although lowered, seemed to crack the cold silence. “It was that thing that attacked us, wasn’t it? It gave you that injury on your hand, didn’t it?” she whispered, her eyes averted to the ground.

“What? Something attacked the two of you too?” Lily asked, a bit more loudly than she had intended to. Alarmed, she looked from Sirius to Alice for want of an explanation.

Sirius halted momentarily in his tracks as he heaved a deep sigh and hitched up James higher onto his back. He cleared his throat before continuing to walk.

“Let’s just say that that thing that tried to curse you- the one that looked like Alice- it wasn’t the only one walking around here.”

“What do you mean?”

“I mean that there was another one- one that looked like me.” Sirius shuddered suddenly.

Lily waited silently and wide-eyed for him to continue.

“It was a way back from the spot where you and James were. They ambushed us. They attacked Alice. For a moment there, I thought she was…she was…” Sirius’s voice seemed to snap in half. He blinked and stared at the sky. Alice’s eyes brimmed with tears as she soothingly patted his shoulder. He gave another long sigh.

“Luckily, the thing only stupefied her. My replica, however, seemed completely out to get me. If it hadn’t been for a particular spell I had learned from James a while back for defense against Dark Magic, I probably wouldn’t be standing here.”

Sirius twisted his head around to give the unconscious James a grateful smile before continuing.

“Well, in that split second where my replica attacked me, Alice’s replica had already run off somewhere, leaving Alice behind on the ground. I managed to injure my replica and buy enough time to revive Alice. I told her to go track down her duplicate while I finished off mine. I’m telling you, it was one hell of a job trying to destroy that thing,” he paused, then lowered his voice to a barely audible voice. “It was protected by Dark Magic. I don’t know where it got so much power from, but whoever or whatever conjured it knew what they were doing.”

Silence stole over them once more as they quickly stepped over the dead branches and leaves blanketing the forest floor. Somewhere in Lily’s heart, an ominous feeling of nervousness began to ensnare her once more.


A/N: I’m sorry if you thought that Sirius had some really lame exposition, but it was the only way without writing another whole chapter on that one scene and frankly, I just didn’t want to write it! If you didn’t mind the lame expo., then I am truly grateful! REVIEW PLEASE!
Shattering Dreams: Part III. by Shock
Anne’s burning fury had stolen her ability to speak. Her lungs, her heart- her whole body was tense and frigid with pure anger. She couldn’t utter a single word.

After a few silent moments of writhing, her voice could only manage a strangled squeak to escape her lips. Anne glared into Bellatrix’s hollow eyes with a look of absolute abhorrence.

Bellatrix stared calmly back at the furious, ragged, and bleeding girl hanging limply in before her. Her face was completely impassive.

Then suddenly, Bellatrix threw her arms around Anne’s neck and held her in a tight embrace. Anne’s eyes widened; she could feel herself stop breathing.

“My friend, I have missed your company for a while,” Bellatrix whispered into Anne’s ear.

At these words, Anne finally managed to gulp down the invisible cork obstructing her ability of speech.

“LET GO OF ME! BELLATRIX! LET GO, YOU EVIL BITCH!”

Anne began to violently struggle with the chains imprisoning her, thrashing about with her whole body like a fish out of water. Bellatrix still held on, causing Anne to continue to shriek as if a red-hot poker had been thrust into her side. She struggled fiercely until Bellatrix pulled away. There was a flustered and angry look upon Bellatrix’s face, and an enraged fire glinted in her eyes.

And yet, there was the slightest hint of sadness. But this trace of sorrow remained only for a fraction of a moment. Her face was soon as stoic as before.

Anne ceased to flail about as soon as Bellatrix had stepped back. Her struggle had taken its toll and she now hung limply by her cold chains, her head drooping, her lungs taking in labored gasps of air. Silence fell between the two girls.

All that pierced the velvety darkness were Anne’s raspy intakes of air.

Minutes passed by and the silence continued, and Anne’s agitated breathes began to calm. Her breathing was soon as silent as the surrounding atmosphere. Her wide eyes stared down at the blackness above which she was suspended over. Shock still ruled her body and mind, but it didn’t manage to erase her most important concern. Her heavy chains rattled as Anne lifted her head with painful difficulty to face Bellatrix. They stared coldly at one another.

“Give him back to me.”

A look of fury once again flickered across Bellatrix’s pale face at these whispered words as if Anne had shouted curse words at her instead.

“Give him back to you?” Bellatrix whispered. Anne could see her pulse quicken.

“GIVE HIM BACK TO YOU?” she suddenly screamed, making Anne blink in surprise. All restraint and unfeeling characteristics seemed to flee from Bellatrix’s shaking body.

“THAT’S ALL THAT’S IN YOUR MIND STILL? THAT, THAT HALF-BREED-”

“You can stop right there, bitch. Don’t you dare say anything more than that,” Anne’s voice was barely audible, but there was a threatening menace lurking in her tone. There was a dangerous smile playing around her lips.

Bellatrix blinked before erupting in a high-pitched shriek of laughter. She doubled up, clutching her stomach, her laughter resonating eerily in the infinite black void.

“You really haven’t changed, my friend. No, not one bit. Not one bit at all,” Bellatrix murmured, as she wiped tears of empty mirth from her dark eyes. As she did so, a look of resentment shot across her eyes.

Anne’s countenance suddenly transformed into a twisted, almost mad, look of fury.

“Stop calling me YOUR FRIEND!” Anne’s voice escalated into a scream. She tightly shut her eyes as if the mere sight of Bellatrix was like acid to her eyes. Her trembling body caused her chains to rattle also.

“THAT WAS YEARS AGO! IT’S OVER! YOU WERE NEVER MY FRIEND! REMUS WAS MY FRIEND! HE SHOWED ME TRUE CARE AND FRIENDSHIP FOR THE FIRST TIME IN MY LIFE! HE STILL DOES AND I SWEAR THAT IF YOU DON’T GIVE HIM BACK TO ME, I’LL RIP YOUR EVIL HEAD RIGHT OFF YOUR SHOULDERS!” Anne spat out the rest of her words with all her remaining strength. She could feel her chains tightening their steel grips upon her wrists and ankles as she hung limply, gasping in almost a panicked manner.

Silence passed once more.

“So that’s what you think? You think our friendship was nothing, do you? All those claims of everlasting partnership in crime were nothing, were they?” Bellatrix said in a hushed tone, full of repressed anger.

It was Anne’s turn to laugh.

“Oh, I see where this is going! I see, I see. First you take Peter into your midst and now you want me too,” she smirked. Bellatrix could see a trickle of sweat slide down the side of Anne’s smooth forehead.

They stared at each other. It was hard to tell which countenance bore more hate.

“I don’t know how much deeper into the Dark Arts you’ve gotten over the years, and you very well know the reason why I am forced to refrain from telling the world about all your little deeds, but know this,” Anne’s smirk slowly slid from her face as she spoke.

“The partnership is broken. What I thought was loyalty, friendship, and happiness were all lies. All you ever did was use me. But-” Anne grinned a humorless smile once more. “-I did the same to you at the time. We both knew, and are still very much aware, that we suited each other just fine when it came to doing evil. And that’s why you’ve set this whole thing up, haven’t you? To try and get me back to do something? Pretty impressive. I didn’t know you valued me this much,” she grinned slyly.

“You’re as sharp as before, if not sharper,” Bellatrix grinned back. After a moment’s pause she lowered her eyes for the first time.

“So nothing I say will ever restore our partnership?”

Anne gazed upon Bellatrix’s lowered head. She felt a twinge of pain. She felt pity.

“No. Nothing, Bella. Nothing can do that. I,” Anne hesitated. Bellatrix quickly lifted her head and gazed into Anne’s eyes.

As Anne stared into those empty eyes, she felt herself grow more confident with the truth, the truth about Remus.

“I love him,” she whispered.

Bellatrix seemed to flinch. Anne hurried on with her words.

“And I love not being weighed down with crimes. He showed me that I can be happy without power and riches. I hoped that I could show you that too, but…” Anne trailed off as she continued to return Bellatrix’s steady gaze.

“But that is nearly as likely as you rejoining my company,” Bellatrix finished Anne’s sentence bitterly. Bellatrix returned to staring at the empty expanse beneath her feet. Her dark hair fell across the sides of her pallid face, hiding her expressions from Anne’s view. It was a while before she spoke once more.

“I don’t doubt the fact that we used each other to our fullest abilities, but… but I did value you,” she whispered. “You were the best partner I ever had. At the time, I even regarded you as a sort of confidante. But I’ve changed,” Bellatrix jerked her head up. Anne stared stoically back at her.

“I’ve met different people, and I’ve done things you cannot even imagine.”

The familiar manic glint fired up in her pupils once more.

“I can certainly imagine, Black,” Anne growled.

Bellatrix’s face suddenly split into a nefarious grin. All trace of anger and regret vanished from her complexion.

“Well, since you’ve obviously made up your mind about me, then I suppose there’s no reason to keep you alive any longer.” She drew out her wand lazily. She gave it a swift flick. Anne’s chains disappeared.

Anne had expected to fall down into the indefinite dark abyss, but found herself crumpled onto a solid black expanse instead. Using both arms and breathing heavily, she managed to sit up. With another great effort, she stood up, swaying slightly as she did so.

“Well, as long as you want to kill me, it’ll be no problem as long as I get sent to wherever you sent Remus,” she muttered in an annoyed tone. Bellatrix sent up a peal of mirthless laughter.

“Do you really think I’m that merciful? Surely, my oldest and best accomplice would know more about me than that. Or haven’t you figured out that your half-breed isn’t dead?” Bellatrix smirked maliciously.

Her words slapped Anne coldly on the face.

“Not…not dead?” Anne’s head began to spin.

Bellatrix shrieked with laughter once more.

“Don’t tell me that the notorious Anne Wu wasn’t even able figure that out! No, my pathetic one, he is not dead. But,” Bellatrix raised her index finger, “I assure you that as soon as I’m finished with you, I’ll send up your half-breed to join you as soon as possible. Along with your other pathetic Mudbloods and blood traitors, of course,” she added nonchalantly, as an afterthought.

Anne’s body gave an unconscious jerk as she realized that the others were in grave danger. Obviously, Bellatrix hadn’t gotten her grips on them yet, but that was only a matter of time…

Her breathing quickened as she felt panic and shock ensnare her.

“But, I wouldn’t feel good inside if I just killed you off easily, Wu,” Bellatrix said silkily. “No, no. That wouldn’t do at all,” Bellatrix took a step forward. Her tall, dark figure seemed to loom over Anne’s bloody and ragged one.

Bellatrix suddenly pulled out something from the depths of her robes and tossed it to Anne. Anne swiftly caught it in one hand. She looked down at it.

It was her wand.

As she stared at the wand in her hand, Anne realized what she had to do. She closed her eyes as if in prayer.

“Yes, Wu. I see that you’ve finally figured it out,” Bellatrix whispered. “It’s the only way to get yourself and your dear friends out of this nightmare that I’ve spent months on creating for you.” Bellatrix stepped forward once more.

“Fight me. Kill or be killed, it’s your choice.”

Anne tightened her grip on her wand. As much as she loathed Bellatrix, she knew that she couldn’t just cold-bloodedly murder her.

But if she didn’t, apart from being killed herself, she somehow knew that there would probably be no other way to save the others. It all depended on her and her choice.

Her friends’ faces flashed across her eyes. As she stared at their happy expressions, she came to her final decision.

Anne pulled herself up to her fullest height and slowly directed her wand straight at Bellatrix’s pale face.

“Let’s fight Black.”


“What was that?”

Sirius snapped around to face Lily and Alice walking closely behind him. Lily and Alice lifted their tired eyes to meet his own. They had been tromping through the rough forest grounds for some time now.

“What was what?” they asked in care-worn and exhausted tones.

“That, that noise. Didn’t you hear it? It sounded like something…” Sirius trailed off as all of his senses directed their attention to their surroundings.

“Oh, dear Merlin, I didn’t hear anything, Sirius, and I don’t think you did either. This night is starting to get to us,” Lily muttered grimly.

With the gleaming sword gently hitting against the side of her leg, she stepped up next to Sirius, who was still carrying the unconscious James. She let out a deep sigh of remorse as she attempted to wipe some of the congealed blood off of James’s pale lips.

“Don’t worry, Lily honey,” Alice whispered soothingly, steeping next to Lily and patting her shoulder. “He’ll be fine. He is the infamous James Potter after all,” she smiled.

“Yeah,” Lily managed to give a small smile in return. “He’s my James.”

There was a fluttering of wings.

“What was that?” Lily whispered, immediately pulling out her wand. Alice quickly did the same.

“See? I told you there was something! ‘This night is just starting to get to us’,” Sirius said in a high-pitched imitation of Lily, as he directed his wand directly in front of him. Lily shot him an evil glare.

The three of them stepped into a tight circle with their backs against one another’s, their wands at the ready. Lily strained her ears to catch the slightest hint of a sound, but silence prevailed. Then…

“AARGGHH!”

Sirius let out a roar of surprise and fear. Lily swiftly spun around to face him, but her vision was immediately obscured by a flurry of black feathers, fluttering wildly in her face.

She let out a sudden scream of pain as she felt her arm being pierced by razor-sharp metal talons. Her senses were suddenly filled with the putrid smell of rotting flesh, making Lily’s throat clench up in an attempt to swallow the vomit that was itching to escape her.

STUPEFY!

There was a squawk of surprise, and Lily’s vision was cleared of the wild feathery mass. In the split second in which the blur of black feathers cleared, she was able to catch a glimpse of her attacker.

On the ground lay a gigantic black bird.

But it wasn’t just any bird. Although it had the body resembling that of a raven’s, it had talons of what looked like sharp and jagged copper. Instead of having the face and beak of a bird, it had the head and face of an old, wrinkled, and aged woman.

Its sallow face was so creased and time-worn that it looked more like a shrivelled piece of dried flesh than anything else. Its hair was lanky, brown, stingy, and had the unhealthy appearance of never having seen a spot of light in all of its days. Its eyes, still wide-open from being stunned, were grotesquely blood-shot with slit, cat-like pupils.

Lily only had a fraction of a moment to stare at the horrible creature in shock and disgust when another one of the colossal creatures swooped down upon her. Lily let out an aggravated scream of surprise of fear as she managed to stun the black monster. It fell with a thud next to its other kin.

Lily managed to take a swift glance above her head and saw to her horror that the sky was swarming with the horrific creatures. A myriad of ink-black feathers slowly fell to the ground all around her, like heavy dark droplets of rain.

She stumbled and backed up until her back slammed into one of the rough trees. She desperately tried to search for Alice and Sirius, whom she could hear were screaming, but the cloud of black feathers and the glinting of dozens of pieces of copper made any chances of spotting them near impossible.

Lily had only taken her second breath, in the process filling her nostrils with creature’s malodorous scent, when the giant monsters began flying down on her in great packs.

“ARGH! NO! STUPEFY! STUPEFY! STUPEFY!

Lily furiously aimed her spells at as many of the monsters as she could, but they were innumerable. It was like trying to shoot all the grains of sand on the beach. Her bright spells merely attracted the attention of more of the flying beasts. They swiftly flew down to attack Lily, their massive wings slicing through the darkness.

She caught a glimpse of the sharp talons inches in front of her face, before they forcefully slashed into her arms. Red blood splurted on to the black feathers. With a cry of pain, Lily felt her fingers loosen their grip on her wand. There was another flash of metal and blood, and her wand went flying through the air.

Another vicious slash and another scream of pain, and Lily felt her belt snap fall from her hips. The gleaming sword was flung into the air.

No sooner had Lily realized that she was now totally defenseless, a black wing slammed into the side of her head and she toppled to the ground. Her bloody arms began to frantically search the floor for her wand, but it was no use. Countless numbers of black feathery bodies were pressing down on her, smothering her, slashing at her.

With no choice left, Lily fought desperately back with her body. She screamed in anguish as she kicked and scratched at whatever was nearest. She closed her eyes to shield them from the sharp feathers that were pressing into every part of her body. The stench of decaying flesh made it seem as if she were being buried in a pile of corpses. Her red hair tangled with the black feathers like a flame licking the darkness. Blood was everywhere.

I can’t just die like this! There’s still hope- still a chance for getting everyone out of here!

Lily felt herself suffocating as the rank-smelling bodies weighed down on her. Her arms and legs were still waved and scratched wildly about.

Then as suddenly as they had come, the frenzied fluttering of wings lifted off of her, and the sharp pains of metal digging into her flesh disappeared. As Lily’s view was cleared of the flood of black feathers and she lay on the ground panting for blessed fresh air, she heard a new sound.


Lily, still lying flat on her back, opened her eyes ever so slightly just in time to see two arrows zing through the air. They struck their targets with a deadly thud. There were squawks and fearful shrieks. Black feathers were everywhere. Then black mass was retreating and quickly flying away. Their rotting stench was disappearing along with them. The last pair of wings fluttered frantically as it dodged one of the deadly arrows, then silence ruled once more.

Lily quickly rolled onto one side to stand up. As she did so, her eyes locked on two things standing inches away from her head.

Standing side-by-side was the illustrious sword planted firmly in the dirt and next to it, a pair of sturdy hooves.

Lily’s wide eyes wandered up the sword and the hooves. As her eyes reached the tip of the hilt of the sword, they spotted the muscular torso of a young man. She tilted back her head to look into the handsome face of the centaur standing before her. Her amazed stare was returned by a pair of astonishingly blue eyes.

“Lily!”

Lily kept her eyes glued to the centaur’s. There was something immensely captivating about them…

She only broke off her eye contact when she felt Alice brush up against her. Sirius was close at her tail.

“Are you all right? Are you hurt? Oh my- you’re bleeding so much! What were those things?” Alice cried as Sirius conjured bandages. Both of them had already wrapped their own wounds.

“Harpies.”

Lily, Alice, and Sirius turned to stare at the centaur. He had a broken bow in his hands.

“What?” Lily whispered. It was only then that she noticed that James was sitting slumped over on the centaur’s back. She looked at the centaur with frightened eyes.

“Those creatures are called Harpies. It is most unusual for them to plague these skies,” he said, gazing steadily down at the three stunned teens. “Neither is it normal for three humans such as yourselves to be so deep into the forest so late at night. Come. We must go to where it is safe before more harm is done to your fragile bodies.”

With that, the centaur grabbed the hilt of the sword, pulled it out, and began walking into the trees.

The three of them exchanged uneasy looks. They were all thinking the same thing- was this centaur to be trusted? He did help fend off the Harpies, but…

Alice helped Lily get to her feet. There was a tired, but wary look in her eyes as she stared after the centaur. Lily knew she was thinking the same thing she was.

It didn’t look like they had much of a choice except to follow. He had James on his back, and none of them dared to do anything rash when there was the possibility of getting James injured even more.

As Lily bent down to pick up her wand, the centaur spoke.

“My name is Firenze. I assure you that I can be trusted. Now please hurry. There is not much time.”


A/N: Even more confusing? Right? Good! But you’ve got to admit, you want to now what happens next, right? Right. ^^

Review please!

A/N#2: Just to give a heads up, the next chapter will be the OFFICIAL end to the Shattering Dreams saga.

A/N #3: DISCLAIMER: Someone emailed me saying that my Harpies are similar to things that appear in "The Amber Spyglass". Just to tell you, I got inspired for Harpies from Greek/Roman mythology!

Thanks to all the fans!
Shattering Dreams: Part IV. by Shock
“I knew I could depend on you to make the right decision, Wu.”

Bellatrix’s face split into a wicked grin as the familiar insane fire began to rage within her eyes. She slid her long pale fingers into the depths of her robes and slowly sheathed her wand. Anne looked steadily at Bellatrix as she did so.

Although it took Anne most of her energy and consciousness to remain standing, the shock of meeting Bellatrix was beginning to wear off, and some of her weariness was melting away with it. Now that she had the ability to think about it, she wondered angrily why she hadn’t realized it was Bellatrix in the first place.

Well, it was too late to regret anything or blame herself Anne thought grimly; but as long as they were going to duel, she would do it properly.

Besides, Anne knew that Bellatrix was already at a disadvantage. If there was any fatal mistake Bellatrix could have made beforehand, it was giving her the motivation of seeing Remus alive and well once more. With this powerful will burning like a flame of hope within her, Anne felt as if she could duel Bellatrix a dozen times and over.

Even with her hate for Bellatrix, she knew she couldn’t kill her, but that didn’t mean that she wouldn’t go down without a fight. She would do anything to stall Bellatrix from carrying out her plans to destroy her loved ones.

Bellatrix turned her wand upon Anne. There was an eerie flush creeping up her pale face.

“I hope you have some energy left,” she smirked. “Otherwise, you might not even last five minutes.”

“I hope you don’t chatter so much during our duel, or else I’ll have to start by cutting off your tongue,” Anne whispered back in a tone bubbling over in hate and fury.

The two girls gazed at each other for a fraction of a moment. In those few milliseconds was the final unuttered resolution between the two that their partnership was completely severed. There was no hope of restoring the past in the present. The folly friendship from what seemed like a millennia ago was finally and completely destroyed.

They blinked.

Bellatrix suddenly made a vicious horizontal slash at Anne, who immediately parried it with a vertical one. The force of the collision of the two curses created an enormous flash of purple luminescent light as bright as lightning. It cracked the blackness, and the sound produced resonated through the empty void, piercing it like a peal of rolling thunder. Both girls shielded their eyes against the burning light.

As the dazzling light threw itself over the two girls momentarily, it dawned upon Anne. With a jerk of realization, a sudden thought occurred to her.

As the light swiftly receded, Bellatrix ran out from seemingly nowhere and charged at Anne. Her wand was burning with black and purple flames, and there was a twisted look of loathing and insanity carved into her face. She lifted her blazing wand high above her head before bringing it forcefully down upon Anne.

Anne quickly created a large, dome-shaped shield about herself. It cracked as Bellatrix’s flaming wand crashed down onto it. The force of the crash caused Bellatrix’s hand to rebound, allowing Anne to shoot a powerful counter-curse that blasted Bellatrix off her feet. She landed with a sickening thud a few feet away.

Bellatrix screamed aloud in fury and pounded the invisible ground with her fist. She hastily tossed back her dark hair and scrambled onto her knees to get up.

But before she had so much as attempted to stand upright, Anne was before her.

In the blink of an eye, Anne quickly gripped the top of her wand with her spare hand and unsheathed it outwardly like a sword. As she did so, her wand transformed into a glowing blue dagger.

With a scream that carried all her anguish, grief, sorrow, and weariness, Anne plunged the dagger directly beneath Bellatrix’s left shoulder.

Bellatrix’s eyes grew wide with shock and fury. She slowly gazed up at Anne, who towered above her. She returned Bellatrix’s bewildered stare with equally wide eyes. Both of them were breathing heavily as if all the air in the world couldn’t quench their lungs.

“So…you really wanted to kill me?” Bellatrix whispered, as a dribble of what looked like pale blue saliva trickled down the side of her thin lips. There was pure hatred blazing in her hooded eyes.

“No,” Anne replied in an equally hushed voice. Bellatrix’s brow furrowed.

“I never wanted to kill you. I never wanted to fight you. But it suddenly occurred to me that you, who have always been a mastermind at duels, schemes, and the Dark Arts, would never risk your life in a battle like this- especially if there was a fair chance of you getting mortally wounded,” Anne murmured, as she drove the blade deeper into Bellatrix. However, no blood came forth from the wound. Bellatrix forced herself not to wince as the blade sunk deeper into her flesh.

“And I was right, wasn’t I? See, look no blood,” Anne pointed out to the silent Bellatrix. “I realized that there must be more to this whole thing just a second ago. This whole place is pitch black, but if it really was so dark how could I possibly see myself or you so clearly? You and I both know that it takes powerful magic to do that. Only Dark Magic could do this. And if you used Dark Magic to create my prison, why not use it to give yourself protection also?” Anne slowly sunk her blade deeper and deeper into Bellatrix’s chest as she spoke, until the whole dagger was almost completely buried within her bosom.

Bellatrix’s body tensed up in unfathomable pain, but she didn’t utter a word. She merely glared up at Anne, her dark eyes penetrating into Anne’s equally dark, yet far less empty, eyes.

“I don’t know how you did it, but it’s over,” Anne said in a barely audible whisper. “You lost. Now go. Go away and never come back to me like this ever again, or else I might really have to kill you.”

With these final words, Anne wrenched out the shining, pale dagger with a labored grunt. Bellatrix’s hollow eyes locked on Anne’s scratched and exhausted face before the deep wound Anne’s dagger had inflicted began to glow with a brilliantly blue light. Anne shielded her eyes as the light grew brighter and began to spread across Bellatrix’s body.

Bellatrix’s body tensed up before she finally erupted into a scream of pain and rage. She frantically clawed at her wound as the light continued to swallow her. She leaned backwards and began to fall onto her back as the light consumed the last bits of her body, so that she was alight in a pale but dazzling blue glow. Her screams seemed to shake the entire space. But before she had landed onto the ground, she had disappeared.

Anne slowly lifted her hand from her eyes as she realized the blinding light had vanished. Still gasping frantically for air, she looked about her bewilderedly. Her gaze returned to the spot where Bellatrix had disappeared.

She had won.

Anne’s eyes roved over to stare at the dagger in her hand. It was glowing as brightly as ever before. She raised it high above her head and brought it swiftly down in a horizontal line. With a bright flash, the dagger transformed back into her wand.

No sooner than she had done this, the spot on which she was standing above suddenly shook. A strange ripple erupted from beneath her feet and stretched out and beyond into the empty space.

Suddenly, Anne felt the invisible ground splinter. The darkness on which she stood upon began to shatter like fragile glass. Before Anne had time to make the slightest movement, the ground gave away and she was toppling into a black abyss.

As she fell down through the darkness, her tired and worn limbs flailing dementedly about, she knew that somehow everything would be all right. Bellatrix was no longer in a position to harm any of her beloved ones any longer, and that was all that mattered.

A calm smile spread across Anne’s blood-splattered face as she continued to plunge down into the black abyss.


Firenze’s hoofs gently plodded through the forest ground as he led Lily, Alice, and Sirius in a single file through the woods. James was still settled limply onto Firenze’s back, and his arms drooped floppily against Firenze’s muscular torso.

Lily and the others kept exchanging uneasy glances at each other and shooting furtive looks at the mysterious centaur, but kept silent.

Lily couldn’t make up her mind whether this strange being was good or evil, real or unreal, honest or another horrific trick. But somehow, as she gazed at his white tail and golden coat, which seemed to glitter in the night, she couldn’t help but feel that she could trust this mystifying and gorgeous stranger.

Now that Lily thought back on it, she realized that every time that she had encountered one of the evil traps set that night, she had felt tense, nervous, uneasy, and horrified subconsciously.

But as she walked along with Firenze, she felt a strange and pleasant warmth coming from him. She wanted to keep following him.

And besides, Lily felt as though she had met him somewhere before, but she couldn’t quite put her finger on it.

Her eyes wandered onto James leaning limply against Firenze’s back.

Well, he looks more comfortable than he did on Sirius’s back.

Lily started out of her thoughts as she felt Alice gently tap her on the shoulder.

“Look at the ground,” Alice whispered into Lily’s ear.

Lily did as she was told and found to her great surprise and happiness that they had wandered onto a worn dirt path. The path however was rough, bumpy, and uneven as if dozens of hooves had created it naturally over years and years of continually plodding across it. The trees gradually began to line up like columns, creating a sort of wall on either side of the path.

“Be wary of where you step.” Firenze’s deep voice seemed like a drop of honey in Lily’s mouth. “Whatever you do, do not wander off of this path. Step nowhere but within the boundaries of this road. We are nearly there.”

“Why the hell would we wander off of it,” Sirius muttered, as he stepped into a particularly deep hole and twisted his ankle. He fell face forward onto the path, eating a mouthful of dirt in the process. A giggling Alice helped him up.

“Because you are a human, and therefore not nearly aware of your surroundings as centaurs,” Firenze replied simply, twitching his long sleek tail and not bothering to look back and check on the coughing Sirius.

“I don’t like him,” Sirius grumbled to Alice.

“You’re just jealous because he’s more handsome than you,” Alice chortled. Sirius merely snorted and shot her the evil eye in response.

They trudged wearily on farther down the path, their steps sending up a small cloud of dust. Soon, all three were envying James, who was comfortably unconscious on top of Firenze’s back.

Sirius was leaning heavily upon Alice, although his ankle had long since healed, and Alice seemed to be sleeping as she lumbered wearily on. Lily’s mouth was slightly open and her eyes felt like they had anvils for lids. The only thing that was able to keep her awake was the sight of James in front of her.

Firenze suddenly came to a halt, causing Lily, Alice, and Sirius to bump forcefully into one another and pile up in a tangled ball on the ground.

“What the hell, Fireballs? Why did you stop?” Sirius shouted irritably, as he untangled his head out from Alice’s right arm. Alice began to howl for whoever was sitting on her hand to get off now, only to discover that her own bottom was the culprit. Lily’s arms waved wildly about in the air, trying to free herself from the awkward scrunched position where her head had somehow ended up tucked under Alice’s left arm.

“Sirius! His name is Fire- oh dear Merlin!” Alice suddenly gasped, as she caught sight of the view in front of them.

Lily forcefully plucked her dazed head out from Alice’s arm, hastily stood up, and spun around. The sight that met her took her breath away.

The dirt path had opened into the most gorgeous clearing Lily had ever seen. There were three small waterfalls peacefully showering down the face of a small, smooth stone cliff into a pool of crystal clear glittering water. The ground was carpeted by long flat blades of soft green grass. A few round boulders dotted the ground. The trees were no longer jagged and unwelcoming, but lush, green, thick and tall. They grew side-by-side and formed a circular border around the whole picturesque setting.

Lily’s eyes gazed upwards towards the sky. The flourishing pine trees bent strangely at their tops so that they formed a green leafy ceiling. However, the very tips of their branches did not meet and came to form a perfect star-shaped hole directly in the wonderful ceiling. A beam of fragile moonlight seeped through the opening.

Lily’s eyes followed the ray of moonlight back down to the ground to discover a large mirror framed with thick entwined branches, which were further entwined with thin small vines of ivy. The mirror was positioned on a smooth black boulder and stood slanted at an angle. Lily noticed that smaller mirrors of the same likeness were positioned against all of the boulders. With a jolt of understanding, Lily realized that the mirrors were reflecting the beam of moonlight against one another, causing the clearing to be thrown into the pale blue light that only moonlight could give.

Lily had never seen anything more beautiful in her entire life.

“Please follow me,” Firenze said calmly, looking down at the three wide-eyed teens. He began to stride across the luscious grass.

Lily was the first to recover. Prodding Alice and Sirius hard in the ribs to make them snap out of their amazed trances and close their open jaws, she gestured to Firenze who was already far ahead of them.

Alice and Sirius quickly gave their heads a quick shake and gave a nod of acknowledgement towards Lily. Lily nodded back and took a step forward off the dirt path and into the cool grass.

She gave a small gasp of delight as she sunk nearly knee-deep into the blades of green, for the grass was much deeper than it had appeared to be. Cool drops of water covered their surfaces, and Lily could feel their refreshing touch soak the hem of her robes.

She turned around at the sound of Alice’s squeals of pleasure. Alice had taken off her socks and shoes. She was causing the blades of grass about her of rustle as she squirmed her toes about.

Sirius leapt down onto the lush floor. He glanced at Alice, then suddenly grabbed her hand and spun her around. They were soon dancing to Sirius’s lively S.M.S.O.B dance routine.

Lily smiled at the sight of her two happy friends, then turned around to follow Firenze. He was waiting patiently for her a distance away at the foot of a large, round, and grassy hill. The dewdrops made it sparkle like a mound of jewels as the pallid moonlight lit it up.

Lily quickly ran towards him, enjoying the feel of the grass brush against the sides of her hot and weary legs. As she rushed past the shimmering pond, she noticed that it was inhabited by many large golden fish happily swimming about in the refreshing water. A couple occasionally fell down with the three water falls, giving the falls the appearance that they were pouring down gold.

She slowed down and came to a stop before Firenze. He looked down at her, his blue eyes penetrating Lily’s own green ones. As Lily’s gazed into his handsome face, she suddenly realized that he looked about her own age.

“Come, follow me. I have things to discuss with you privately,” Firenze spoke in his soothing voice, as he held out his hand for Lily. Before she took it, she glanced back at where Sirius and Alice still were.

“What about my friends?”

“They will be fine. I would much rather if I spoke only to you,” Firenze replied, his steady gaze wandering towards Sirius and Alice, who were now doing a jig.

“I can see why,” Lily sighed, as she stifled a laugh. She placed her hand in Firenze’s, and he began to lead her up the hill.

“His hands are really rough. Probably from practicing his bow and arrow so much,”Lily thought to herself, as she climbed side-by-side with Firenze up the narrow stone steps concealed by the long blades of grass.

They soon came to the top, and Lily once again gave a gasp of delighted surprise.

A few feet ahead, stood an aged stone wall bordered with flourishing bamboo. A wide cracked opening in the center revealed a large lake with clear water scintillating in the moonlight. The water was still and looked like a floor of shining glass. Large and black smooth stepping stones carved an even path down the middle of the pale blue water and led to a what looked like the ancient Greek Parthenon, restored in all its beauty and magnificence. Its sturdy white columns gleamed in the moonlight.

“Inside please,” Firenze said, gently letting go of Lily’s hand and causing her to jump out of her trance.

She followed Firenze past the wall, and across the stepping stones. His hooves “clip-clop-clip-clop”-ed across the smooth solid stone. As Lily hopped carefully from one stone to another, she looked about her surroundings.

The aged wall seemed to stretch out infinitely on both sides. Between it and the Parthenon was nothing except the stones and the clear water, which Lily observed to be swimming with large fish also, except instead of gold they were silver and sleek like the moonlight bouncing off their shiny scales. She also noticed that a crescent moon was carved into each stone and on the top of the face of the Parthenon, the same symbol was also etched.

Lily hopped off the seventh stepping stone and landed on the bottom-most step leading up to the Parthenon. She caught a glance of Firenze’s gleaming tail swish out of sight at the very top. Using both her hands and knees, she grunted as she climbed up the seven huge steps leading into the edifice.

She arrived gasping on the last step. She tilted her head back as her eyes followed one of the colossal columns standing next to her. It stretched high above her and disappeared into the darkness. The ceiling was too far above to perceive.

Lily snapped her head back down as she remembered that she was supposed to be following Firenze. She didn’t need to search for him though. In front of her, about a football field’s length away, stood Firenze holding James and his sword aloft in his sturdy arms. Even from such a distance, Lily could feel Firenze’s eyes penetrating her own.

She slowly began to walk forward, her eyes locked with Firenze’s. Her steps echoed on the mosaic floor. The thousands of miniscule mosaic pieces added up to depict a crescent moon in the center of the floor, the same shape the stepping stones and the face of the building bore.

Lily walked steadily on, passing identical, soaring white columns lined up into a single file on either side of her. The moonlight flooded in from all sides, throwing the shadows of the columns down on to the floor so that as Lily walked on, she continually seemed to be changing colors by stepping into the shadows and then back into the blue beams of moonlight.

She reached Firenze at last. They held each other’s gaze for a long period of silence.

Firenze was the one to break it.

“This is a sacred place. Only powerful beings, such as centaurs, have the ability to break into it using extraordinary abilities in divination.” Firenze paused and looked deeper into Lily’s brilliantly green eyes. She remained silent as she gazed up into his equally beautiful blue ones.

“You were in grave danger, much more than you could ever have imagined. This place though, has the power to protect you. I cannot say any more than this, but.” He placed a hand on Lily’s shoulder. “I find it necessary to tell you some things that might help you to solve this puzzle upon which you have been forced to stumble upon tonight.” He paused once more.

“Firstly, I must tell you that centaurs are extremely gifted in the art of divination.”

Lily, who had been expecting some grand and amazing fact or clue, was taken aback. Firenze lowered his face until it was mere inches away from Lily’s. His eyes seemed to want to tell her something, but she couldn’t figure out what. She gave him a baffled look.

“Secondly, I must tell you that this is a building blessed by the moon.” He gazed ever more deeply into Lily’s eyes.

All Lily could do, however, was return a confused stare. None of this was making any sense at all.

“I can tell you no more than this,” Firenze murmured, finally breaking his gaze away from Lily.

“This boy, he risked his life for you, did he not?” he inquired after a while, looking down at James’s face.

Lily nodded.

“Then I suggest you return the favor somehow. It is not wise to live in debt,” Firenze said gently, smiling slightly for the first time. Lily gazed back in awe.

How did he know that I have feelings for James?”

“Sleep now. When you awake, I assure you that all will be much better than it is now,” Firenze turned his back on Lily. It was only then that she noticed that there was a large marble table standing behind Firenze. He laid James gently down upon it, throwing him into the moonlight, and placed the grand sword on James’s chest. He positioned James’s hand so that they were clasped around the hilt of the sword.

He turned around once more.

“I am still young, but I know that you two humans have a great destiny to fulfill together. Your future is rough, uneven. But, if you hold to one another, all will be well. Sleep now,” he said, as he began to trot past Lily towards the entrance.

“Wait!” Lily suddenly called out to him, as she jerked out of her stupefied state. Firenze, who was already half-way across the floor, turned calmly around.

“I know you’ve down so much for us already, but isn’t there anything more I could do to heal James?” she rushed breathlessly through the last part of her sentence. James’s safety was all that filled her mind at the moment.

Firenze stared back at her for a moment before answering, “There will be no need for that. Sleep now. I bid you good-night.”

He turned around once more and walked on. The sound of his hooves on the floor echoed about the building. Lily watched his golden body step down the steps out of sight. It was only then that she realized that she hadn’t thanked him.

“Thank you!” she yelled out hurriedly, and somewhat stupidly. There was no reply, but she knew that he had heard her somehow.

With a satisfied sigh, she felt the weariness of the events of the night finally settling upon her tired body. She turned around and stared at James.

He looked like a fallen knight of the Round Table, lying regally on the moonlight-flooded table. The whole appearance gave Lily the chills.

She gave her head a quick shake, and heaved herself onto the table beside him. She was surprised to find that the marble was pleasantly warm.

She laid down and gazed at James’s scratched and bruised face and body. She snuggled closer to him and placed her hand, covered with dried rivers of blood, over his own, clasped around the hilt of the sword.

She kissed him gently on the side of his lips before putting down her head and falling into the deepest of slumbers.


Lily woke with a start. She was flat on her back, both arms lying peacefully on either side of her on the scratchy grass. Her hands scrambled across the uneven lawn before she jerked her body up, sat straight, and looked wildly about her.

She was back on the Quidditch pitch.

She looked to her left and sure enough, Hogwarts was standing magnificently before her. She looked up at the sky to see a couple of stars twinkling merrily down at her. The thick clouds parted to reveal a thin crescent moon.

She screamed out loud as someone suddenly laid their hand on her shoulder. She spun around.

It was James.

“What happened?”



A/N: I absolutely loved writing this chapter! There’s such a change in scenery!

REVIEW PLEASE!
Reunion by Shock
“What happened?” James whispered tremulously.

“I, I don’t know,” Lily replied. She looked bewilderedly around once more. As she did so, her eyes locked with two dark lumps on the ground.

Immediately gripping her wand more firmly, she peered more closely through the darkness to discover that the lumps were none other than Sirius and Alice lying peacefully on their backs, sleeping soundly.

Lily jumped as Sirius gave a sudden violent snort.

“He tends to do that,” James muttered, scrambling onto his feet and walking quickly over to his slumbering friends.

“Sirius,” James said tentatively, slightly shaking Sirius’s shoulder. Sirius didn’t budge and continued snoring.

“Sirius,” Lily said, a bit more insistently after crawling up next to James. She prodded his nose with her wand.

She jumped once more, as Sirius suddenly shouted, “Butterflies!” And bolted up into a sitting position.

He stared wildly about him before his wandering eyes landed on Lily and James. He stared at them, then stared at his side where Alice lay, still peacefully slumbering, before snapping his head around to face them once more. Before Lily could utter another word, Sirius’s hand shot out and gripped her own.

“HEY!” James shouted, immediately trying to pry off Sirius’s hands from Lily’s.

But Sirius clung on. He held Lily’s hand before his eyes and examined them closely before letting go.

“There’s no scratches, no blood, no…anything,” he said quietly, slowly turning his gaze from Lily to James.

Lily’s eyes grew wide as she suddenly realized Sirius was right. Her hands scrambled over her arms, body, and legs in search of the deadly wounds, only to find all her body parts whole and well.

She paused, breathing rapidly, before hastily fumbling at the hem of her robes where she clearly remembered the jagged branches and Harpies tearing through, only to discover that her robes were still in one piece, as whole as they were before her memory of entering the forest.

She snapped her head up to find Sirius and James staring fearfully at her. She made a sudden swipe at Sirius‘s hand.

“HEY!” James yelled once more, this time lunging out and trying to tear Lily’s hand from Sirius’s. Lily merely shoved him aside and peered intently at Sirius’s hand as he had done with hers.

There was no trace of a wound. The oozing glowing pus from before had completely vanished. His skin was as smooth as it ever was. Lily’s dumb-founded eyes looked up and saw an equally confused and shocked look upon Sirius’s face.

They stared at each other for a moment before simultaneously turning their heads to face James. They glanced at each other once more before lunging out at a James and pinning him to the ground. Their hands immediately began patting down his entire body, frantically searching for the deep wounds the Manticore had inflicted. He flailed about and yelled with all his might to let go, but to no avail.

His continual shouts soon aroused Alice, who muttered something about being tired and not wanting to do the stupid jig anymore, before rubbing her eyes and sitting up. She looked about her, just as the others, had done and spotted Lily and Sirius still wrestling down and searching the floundering James.

“OH MY GOD!” she screamed, causing the others to jump off of James, who quickly scooted a couple feet away. She rushed over to them and began checking them for wounds just as Lily and Sirius had done.

Once she realized there were no wounds to be found, Alice stared at the three, a stunned and shaken expression on her face, before bursting into tears and throwing herself upon Lily. Lily felt her throat grow tight as she returned the warm embrace, remembering with a shudder how cold the one she had shared with Alice’s morbid replica had been.

James and Sirius likewise embraced each other briefly, thumping hard on each other’s back.

All the commotion seemed to have awakened another unnoticed being however, for there was a sudden rustling of grass a few feet behind the group.

At the new sound, the relief that had swept over the four vanished instantly, and all of them immediately whipped out their wands. They spun around in unison, wands held aloft and aimed directly in front of them, to face the being lurking in the darkness.

They found themselves not aiming at some horrific creature, however, as they had surmised they would be.

There was a stunned silence as everyone found themselves staring at none other than the one and only Anne.

She too had her wand out and poised to attack, but as she squinted through the darkness, she suddenly realized who stood before her. Her whole body froze with the shock of seeing such a welcoming sight.

“Anne!” Lily and Alice screeched, throwing aside their wands and running up to her.

Anne’s arms seemed to have forgotten to move, and she was still paralyzed in her stance with her wand up, as Lily and Alice hurled themselves onto her and buried her in a tearful embrace.

Anne blinked. Her shaking hands reached out and began to touch Lily and Alice’s faces, as though to make sure that they were real. She began to laugh tremulously as she realized that they were not a mirage and wrapped her arms around their necks.

The three of them were soon crying heavily onto each another‘s shoulders. James and Sirius watched with watery eyes, both staring up at the cloudy sky in an attempt to hold back their tears of relief and happiness.

Another sound of rustling caught their attention.

They all immediately twisted around to find none other than Remus, awakening from what looked like a very bad nightmare. He got up awkwardly on to his feet, as if he had not stood on solid ground for a while, before slowing pivoting on the spot to discover all his friends gawking at him.

He looked at each of them as though he had just emerged from a dizzying and terrible trance, before his eyes came to rest on Anne.

The two exchanged a silent, profound gaze. As Lily gazed intently upon them, she could almost see the hundred unspoken thoughts being passed between them. A look of such deep sorrow, relief, and love lighted upon their countenances, and Lily felt more tears well up unexpectedly in her eyes. She suddenly realized how much those two loved each other.

James, Sirius, Alice, and Lily gazed silently at the two.

“Anne,” Remus said in a trembling voice, searing the silence.

Anne stood rooted to the ground, as if she had unexpectedly been stunned. She gave a quiet sob before suddenly bolting towards Remus and wrapping her arms securely around his neck.

Remus hesitated.

Then suddenly, his frozen expression fell, and he broke down completely. He threw his arms around Anne and drew her tightly into him. Tears streamed down his face onto her shaking shoulders.

“I love you. I can’t stop, Moony, no matter how hard I try. I love you,” Anne said into his ear ever so quietly, so that her whisper was only audible to him. “I tried not to. I know we shouldn’t, but I just can’t. It’ll be hard, I know. But if we love each other, what does it matter? I love you. I’m…” Anne hesitated.

“I’m brave enough now.”

Remus shut his eyes tightly. How he wished he could return those precious words! Everything inside him was squirming and writhing like enflamed snakes, all trying to burst from his mouth and end both his and Anne’s suffering. He wanted her. He wanted her more than anything in the world.

For a moment, his lips seemed to be on the verge of capturing Anne’s in a sorrowful and longed for kiss.

But even after the events of the night, even though his passion was roaring insanely inside his chest, he knew he couldn’t do it. He just couldn’t. It wouldn’t be right. It would just harm Anne. It would make her life so much harder than it had already been…

He suddenly tore away from her.

More silent tears ran down his face, as he thought he heard Anne’s heart being ripped in half.

“Come on. We have to get back to the castle. It’s not safe out here,” he said.

Anne stood fixed to the ground as he stepped past her and the others.

Hot tears were dripping down her cheeks.

“Let’s go. It’s not safe out here,” he repeated to the others. His voice seemed on the verge of snapping in two.

They all stared at him as he walked past them and towards the castle steps.

Lily’s expression looked as if she were debating whether to cry or to save it until after she had slapped Remus. Why on earth was he always turning Anne away when it was so clear that they were meant for each other? Was he crazy? Did he have to loose Anne forever to finally see what a big mistake he was making?

She glanced at Alice next to her. With both hands clasped over her mouth, she looked like she was stuck half-way between a silent grieving scream and a frustrated groan.

Sirius and James were staring fixedly at the ground. They exchanged significant looks before following Remus.

Lily and Alice looked at each other and then at Anne, who was still standing in the same position Remus had left her in. Lily could see her shoulders trembling despite her effort not to cry.

The two girls walked cautiously toward their friend, rather as if they were approaching a frightened or injured doe. Both of them gently placed a hand on either one of her shaking shoulders.

“Anne, honey, it’s not safe here,” Alice said in her familiar soothing tone, trying with all her might to keep the sorrow she felt flooding her heart out of her voice.

“Anne, you’re cold. Let’s go inside. We’ll warm up,” Lily said kindly, likewise trying to keep her voice steady and even.

Anne didn’t budge.

Lily and Alice exchanged looks once more, before firmly planting their free hand on Anne’s arms. They forcefully steered her towards the castle. Lily could see James and Sirius waiting for them at the top of the steps. Remus had already disappeared into the castle.

They were halfway across the lawn before Anne suddenly pulled herself sharply out of her friends’ grips.

“I can walk for myself.” Her tone sounded mutinous, and there was a note of harshness that Lily recognized. It was the sound Anne’s voice took on when she was bottling down some unfathomable sorrow.

Anne drew in a deep sigh and closed her eyes. When she re-opened them, they were no longer tearful, and there was a stoic and blank look upon her face. She began walking towards the castle, her robes swishing silently behind her.

The three of them walked individually and silently into the castle.

As she finally stepped within the warm and secure walls, Lily felt as if she were walking into the arms of a long-lost guardian angel.

A/N: Sorry I haven't updated in a while! This chapter's been sitting in my word processor for quite some time now but I've been too busy to go and edit it! I hope you liked it! There's some big clues in this chapter that foreshadows future events!
PLEASE REVIEW!!!!
Confusion by Shock
A/N: so sorry for the interminably long wait! It's been months since I posted! But school and pneumonia does that to a person! Well, here it is! Hope you enjoy!

“Wait, wait, wait, wait,” James blurted out, interrupting Lily’s explanation of the events that had taken a hold of them that night.

All six of them had run quickly up to Gryffindor Tower upon re-entering the castle, casting fearful glances behind them as if they expected Voldemort himself to pop out of a suit of armor. Panting for breath, they had arrived at the common room and had perambulated slowly about, absorbed in their individual thoughts, before sitting down one by one in front of the comforting blazing common room fire.

It had been silent for quite some time before James had requested to hear the whole story. Lily soon embarked on telling her side of the series of events, and everyone listened with every ounce of attention they held within them. Alice and Sirius interjected occasionally to clear up an obscure detail or two.

“So… while we were being attacked by this Manticore, you two-” James pointed at Alice and Sirius, both of them sitting side by side on a large, red velvet couch, “-were being attacked…by yourselves?” James asked blankly. His look plainly asked, “You’re kidding, right?”

“No, James, we’re not joking around,” Sirius groaned, as he sank back into the comfy couch, closing his tired eyes and rubbing them. James’s incredulous expression changed into a look of utmost surprise and horror.

“And, and then,” James said after a moment of silence, a wild and desperate laughter creeping up his voice. “A bunch of half-human, half-bird monster…things-”

“Harpies. They were called Harpies. Firenze told us,” Lily corrected quietly.

“Right. Well, these Harpies…they attacked us…and then we were saved from these half-human things by another half-human thing?” James’s voice cracked. “And this centaur, Fireballs-”

“Firenze! Why can’t you men get it right?” Alice practically screamed, making the whole group jump about a foot off their chairs.

“Right, right. Fireb- I mean, Firenze, brought us four to some supernal place where we all just kind of fell asleep and then, next thing we know, we’re on the Quidditch pitch without a single scratch?” James asked, trying hard to keep his voice calm and composed.

“Correct,” Alice grunted, as she too, fell back into the plush cushions. She laid her weary head on Sirius’s shoulder.

“Right,” James said. He looked at Lily sitting beside him to see if she looked a bit more sure and clear-headed, but she looked just as dumb-founded as he felt. The comforting fire’s flames danced about in her green eyes as she stared deeply into fire, lost in her own thoughts.

“Well,” James said after a while, clearing his throat and straightening up in his seat. “I suppose we four aren’t the only ones that were attacked in the forest, or wherever the hell we went. Anne, Remus… an explanation of your side of the story, if you please?”

He looked pointedly at the two, who were seated on either side of Alice and Sirius and obviously trying very hard to not catch each other’s eye.

Lily looked up from the fire, and Alice and Sirius both raised their heads. They also didn’t know what Anne and Remus had encountered.

There was a long period of silence, during which Sirius shifted uncomfortably in his seat and the others continued to focus their entire attention on either Anne or Remus. Both of them had their mouths clamped shut.

At long last, Remus spoke up.

“I vanished.”

Everyone raised an eyebrow at this enigmatic statement. Even Anne threw a furtive glance at him.

Remus took a deep breath before plunging into his account of the past events. He re-told the amazed group of how he and Anne had been captured and locked away into the darkness.

“Then the black thing slithered up to me. I barely had a second to see it coming, and then…” He suddenly shuddered as if he had been doused in ice-cold water. He put his forehead in his shaking hands before continuing.

“I was alone. Alone in a red room. I felt like I was suspended in blood, only I could breathe in it. And, and I heard whispers and laughter. They told me that all of you guys were dying, that I could do nothing to stop it. They just kept repeating it over and over,” Remus’s voice was muffled, as he had buried his terror-stricken face into his trembling hands.

Everyone had turned quite pale. Anne was now staring so intently at Remus that Lily thought her eyes would leap out of their sockets.

Remus drew in a deep breath as if he had emerged from a pool of water as he lifted his face from the depths of his tremulous hands. All eyes were glued on him.

“And then it started,” he whispered. “I kept…I kept...” He let out a shuddering sigh and gripped his knees to stop his fingers from shaking.

“I kept transforming,” he finally said. “Over and over again…”

James, Sirius, and Anne suddenly jerked up and sat as straight as a board in their seats. All of them had turned a great deal paler, and a look of utmost pity had engraved itself onto all of their faces.

Silence stole upon them once more.

The fire crackled and sent up bright pieces of glowing embers that disappeared into the dark depths of the chimney above.

“What did you transform into, Remus?” Lily asked slowly.

Sirius, James, and Anne exchanged swift looks before settling their eyes and furrowed brows on Lily. Alice, however, turned around to face Remus, a perplexed expression on her face.

“Yes, Remus. What were you changing into?” she asked. All eyes fell on Remus once more.

“That’s not important,” Anne suddenly growled.

Alice turned around to shoot Anne a surprised look.

“How is that not important? We need to solve this crazy mystery, don’t we? In order to do that we need all the fac-”

“I’m sure that Remus doesn’t remember. Am I right, Remus?” Anne cut Alice off succinctly and cautiously gazed into Remus’s eyes; the intense gaze that they fell into shut Alice up. There was a tense moment of silence before Remus answered.

“Yes. I don’t remember,” he said finally. “But, I do remember it all ending. There was this sort of ripple in the place I was trapped in, and it all just sort-of vanished. I was floating there for a second, then I fell. I just kept falling into nothingness. It was only then that I suddenly knew that the rest of you guys were okay. Only then did I get some peace. After that split second in which I regained my hope, I just sort of blacked out. When I woke up, I was on the Quidditch pitch with not so much as a scratch on me.”

All of this convoluted information was on the point of exploding within Lily’s head. What on earth had happened? Had it all just been a dream? But it had all seemed so very real. The pain, the horrors - they were all a sharp as needles in her mind’s eye. But if it had been reality, how did they all end up sleeping on the Quidditch pitch? Had Firenze brought them back? But then how did Remus and Anne come to be asleep on the field alongside them?

Lily’s head began to spin as all these thoughts fluttered wildly about her mind like quarry frantically attempting to escape a hunter’s lethal shots.

James’s voice pierced her bewildered musings like one of Firenze’s arrows.

“Anne, where were you?” he asked.

Everyone jerked out of their individual thoughts to turn their concentration towards Anne.

Anne avoided everyone’s questioning looks. She sat completely still and straight in her seat, her face impassive and her eyes averted to the carpet. Lily noticed, though, that Anne had suddenly tightened her grip on her robes at her knees. Her eyes still boring through the floor, she answered in a tone Lily knew was forced to be calm and poised.

“This is all Black.”

“What?” the others said perplexedly after a slight pause.

“It was her. It was Black. IT WAS BELLATRIX!” she screamed suddenly, all restraint shattered and tossed into the violent winds. Everyone cringed into the back of their seats as she jumped to her feet. Her face was white and contorted with fury, anguish, and frustration. Her hands were shaking so hard that they seemed to be threatening to fall off her wrists.

“IT WAS HER! WE DUELED AND I DEFEATED THAT EVIL BITCH! THAT BITCH! THAT FUCKING BITCH! HOW COULD SHE DO THIS? HOW CAN I STILL BE SILENT ABOUT IT? WHY? WHY? THAT EVIL, EVIL BITCH!”

The energy it was taking Anne to scream all this had rendered her down onto her knees. She gripped the carpet with both hands and began to tear at it, screaming herself hoarse. Tears began to cascade down her cheeks.

Everyone was paralyzed with shock as they sat paralyzed in their seats, staring at their hysterical friend.

No one had seen Anne lose control like this. In fact, it was rare for her to even scream, let alone lose it completely. Nobody in the history of Hogwarts had ever perceived this side of her. This was an Anne unknown to anyone, even to her closest and dearest companions. Out of all the surprises the night had supplied, Anne’s current behavior was the most shocking.

Anne collapsed onto her side, tearing at an invisible face with out-stretched fingers, screeching as if someone was attempting to kill her.

Lily could only watch, thoroughly frozen with shock, as her friend continued to writhe and squirm on the ground as if she were on fire.

Remus suddenly sprang to his feet.

He rushed over and grabbed Anne firmly by the shoulders. She tried wildly to beat him off, but he wouldn’t let go. He drew her tightly into his arms as she desperately flailed about, screaming and crying. Lily couldn’t tell which one of the two looked more immersed in pain.

Suddenly, Anne stopped screaming and struggling as abruptly as she had started. She filled her tired lungs graciously with a shuddering breath of air before her head lolled limply to one side. Her body relaxed, and her wild eyes closed peacefully. Remus continued to hold her tightly in his arms. He was breathing heavily. Anne had driven herself to the state of unconsciousness.

“Oh my goodness.”

Lily’s eyes, still wide with shock, looked towards Alice. She was sobbing quietly, one hand covering her mouth in order to repress the words of distress tumbling out.

Next to her, Sirius’s face looked as if he had run into his horrific duplicate again.

Lily’s eyes wandered onto James, who’s mouth was hanging open, all color drained from his face.

She looked at Remus. If she had been a stranger, who had happened to walk into the room at the moment, she could have sworn that someone had used the Cruciatus Curse upon him. A look of such profound pain and sorrow was imbedded into every aspect of his face, that from just looking at Remus’s countenance, Lily could of sworn that Anne had died and not merely fainted.

Everyone was dead silent.

Lily was the first to rally. She swallowed painfully, slowly wipe the tears from her eyes, stood up, and walked over to Anne and Remus. She knelt down.

“Alice and I should put her to bed now. She’s only just fainted,” Lily gently placed her hands upon Remus’s and pried them off of Anne’s limp body. Lily wrapped her own arms around her instead.

She lifted her face to look at the others. The faces that met hers were all entrenched in shock. She spoke with a calm voice. There was a look of determined coolness and composure upon her countenance.

“As for what happened tonight, I don’t think we should speak a word of it to anyone just yet. We can barely connect each other’s stories, so how could we ever prove that it was real and not just our imagination? People will think we’re crazy,” Lily concluded quietly.

“I…I think we should figure this whole thing out before doing anything else. And I also think that we shouldn’t press Anne to tell us anything for a while. She told us that it was Bellatrix, and that’s all we need to know for now.”

The others nodded stiffly.

“In fact,” Lily continued, determined to keep herself serene, “I think out of all the things we’ve told each other tonight, Anne’s makes the most sense. Sirius said before in the forest that he thought all this was caused by Dark Magic, and now I think it’s pretty obvious that he was right. I don’t know what happened, but I think it’s safe to say that Bellatrix Black was definitely involved.”

Anne suddenly gave a start in Lily’s arms. Her eyes opened a fraction of an inch. As if in a deep trance, she whispered,” I’ll protect you. I promised. Over my dead body. Over my dead body…”

Her eyes closed once more.

Everyone exchanged fearful glances. Everything was so confusing and strange, but one thing was certain, they had been in grave danger tonight.

With a sinking feeling in the depths of her stomach, Lily sensed that life would become much more confusing in the future.


The fire in the Slytherin common room flickered in its grate, illuminating the cold stone walls encasing the room. The green lanterns swayed mysteriously above on their rusty chains. They seemed to look gloomily down at the chilly room below as the large black grandfather clock chimed three a.m.

The flames suddenly and violently wavered as Bellatrix Black rushed past, her black traveling cloak billowing behind her. She hurried to the stone door ahead, but before she made her exit, she slowly turned around, panting as if she had run a mile, and let her eyes take in the familiar aspects of the common room that she had grown attached to during her last six years at Hogwarts.

She let out a long sigh, trying to calm her nerves and stop her whole being from shaking. She brought her pale, trembling hands up to her forehead and tremulously wiped some of the cold sweat that had beaded up on it. The fire sputtered once more, illuminating the fathomless fear that filled Bellatrix’s eyes.

As the heavy door slid open and as she hastily stepped out into the darkness, the dying flames gave a last splutter of an attempt to stay alive before extinguishing itself entirely.
Prongs, Thoughts, and McGonagall: Part I. by Shock

“Firstly, I must tell you that centaurs are extremely gifted in the art of divination. Secondly, I must tell you that this is a building blessed by the moon…”


“Lily.”

“Huh? What? Oh…” Lily snapped out of her reverie by Alice, who had gently poked her wand into her ribs.

Lily turned a shade of bright red as she realized that the whole class was staring at her. Professor McGonagall was giving her a stern look over the rim of her glasses.

“I’m sorry Professor,” Lily muttered.

McGonagall shot her a look that plainly said “Pay attention Ms. Evans”, sniffed, then continued on with her lecture.

Lily gave a mental sigh of relief. It was a lucky thing that McGonagall hadn’t reprimanded her, for it had been the third time that week that she had been caught spacing out in the middle of class.

McGonagall’s laxness was no doubt due to the fact that Sirius had tried to fire a powerful Cheering Charm at Anne when she had started nagging about how Sirius couldn’t ever shut up. He had missed and ended up hitting Professor McGonagall squarely in the back instead. He had received a week’s worth of detention.

Even though it was N.E.W.T. year, and Lily knew that she ought to be listening to every lecture and taking extensive notes in minute detail, all of her thoughts could only remain in the classroom for so long before hovering out into the events from the mysterious night which had taken place a week ago.

Lily, Alice, James, Remus, and Sirius had been spending all of their free time whispering their thoughts and theories, but each idea was more confusing and made less sense than the last. They just couldn’t figure out what had happened.

James, in particular, seemed very keen to solve the mystery as soon as possible. He seemed to have taken the injuries the Manticore had managed to inflict on him very personally and spent every second he could spare pouring over books in the Restricted Section.

When Lily had mentioned this uncommon view to Remus, she had expected him to answer with an expression of surprise equal to hers. However, Remus had merely smiled and said, “He’s just disappointed in himself for not being able to protect you for the whole of that night, and he‘s trying to make up for it by solving this whole thing.”

Lily couldn’t remember a time when she had ever blushed more deeply.

James wasn’t the only one squeezing his brains out in the library or pounding the desk in agonized frustration though. All of them had re-traced their steps over and over again until Lily found herself revisiting the forest nearly every night in her dreams. But even though Sirius, Alice, and Remus had refused to tell why they had wandered out onto the Quidditch pitch that night, none of them could make a plausible conjecture as to how anyone could have managed to conjure such horrific things.

Peter had also been giving occasional help. The Marauders had told Lily and Alice that they couldn’t leave Peter out of such an important issue as this and had promptly spilled the entire story to him the next night. According to the Marauders, Peter had turned very pale and his hands had started to shake, but, other than that, he had been very quiet and less shocked than had been expected. He had dutifully been attempting to aid them in their search for more hints within the many dusty volumes in the library, but to no avail. None of them could find anything.

They had also been keeping a sharp eye on Bellatrix Black. There hadn’t been a spare second that passed that week without one of them furtively glaring at her while hidden behind a statue or a suit of armor a couple feet away. But so far, nothing of the slightest suspicion had surfaced except for the fact that Bellatrix looked slightly more pale than usual.

As agreed upon, they left Anne alone and didn’t bother her with anything in case they would upset her again. But then, after three days of silence and avoidance, Anne had startled everyone by suddenly confronting the whole group, apologizing for having acted so stupidly and emotionally, and pledging the rest of her free time to help them solve the mystery. She didn’t say much else about Bellatrix and everyone was too afraid for Anne’s sanity to inquire further about it.

Remus and Anne’s relationship had also returned to normal, although there was a sort of uncomfortable formality between their conversations that had not existed before.

Lily heaved a deep, stressed-out sigh. If they only had some sort of a lead to predicate their search on. Lily had told the others Firenze‘s hints, causing all of them to dig fervently through the restricted section for clues, but all the books, even the most arcane ones, came to a dead end, leaving them all more confused than before. It would be best to go and question Firenze once more in person, but they couldn’t go back into the forest for fear of their lives.

But everyone was even starting to wonder if they actually had been in the forest. All the events sort of seemed like a mere dream now, some terrifying nightmare.

But it had all been so real, so painful.

But then how, how had they all ended up on the Quidditch pitch when they had all split up. Perhaps Firenze had brought Sirius, Alice, James, and herself back out of the forest, but then how did Anne and Remus come to be on the pitch when they clearly had been trapped in some strange dark prison?

Lily stifled a groan and massaged her temples as all these “but’s” and “how’s” buzzed about inside her head like troublesome mosquitoes. She unconsciously waved at the air, as if trying to smack the invisible bugs down.

“Is something wrong, Ms. Evans?” Professor McGonagall asked, staring sternly at Lily once more.

“Oh, no! No, nothing Professor. Er, there’s flies…” Lily gave a nervous laugh, as she swiped once more at the nonexistent pests. She was saved from a sharp reprimand as the bell rang and the din of scraping chairs and chatter erupting from other classrooms within the hall drowned out all other noise.

Lily immediately stood up, shoved her textbook hastily into her bag, and made towards the door to join up with the others to continue their ceaseless flow on new speculations.

But before she had taken two steps, she felt someone tap her lightly on the shoulder. Lily turned around irritably to come face to face with Professor McGonagall.

Oh no.

Lily gestured to the others to go on without her. She exchanged glum looks with all of them as they exited the classroom. Sirius mouthed “good luck” before stepping out.

James, however, stood rooted to the spot, determined to wait and escort Lily. Lily signaled furiously at him to leave, but there was that obstinate look on his face that annoyed her to no end but, at the same time, made her want to laugh at his cuteness.

“Is there something I can help you with, Potter?” Professor McGonagall asked crisply.

“Yes. You can let Lily go so that we can leave together,” James frowned stubbornly.

Lily gave an exasperated groan and ran her hand down her cheek. James could be so damn tactless sometimes…

“You talk to me in that tone again, Potter, and I’ll make sure to separate you two every night for a week by detaining you in detention,” McGonagall replied in a matter-of-fact way. She had grown all too accustomed to James’s stubborn and persistent personality.

Over the years all her scolding had become almost routine, and it was unusual to have a class without her telling off James or Sirius for something or another. But even Professor McGonagall had to admit, both of them were maturing and were beginning to behave themselves more bit by bit over the years.

She stared down James when he continued to persistently look at her and succeeded in turning him away as usual. James grunted and walked out the door, glaring down at the ground and muttering something inaudible.

Professor McGonagall let out a deep breath, muttering, “I don’t know whether I’ll miss that boy or be relieved beyond measure when he graduates.”

She returned her gaze to Lily, who was wide-eyed with expectancy mixed with nervousness.

“Ms. Evans, I wanted to talk to you about your behavior along with your friends’ these past few days. I can’t help but feel that for the past week all of you have been very quiet, which is, I’m sure, very strange when we consider the fact that I also am speaking of Mr. Black and Mr. Potter,” Professor McGonagall said, frowning slightly.

“You are all very bright students, and I won’t hide it from any of you that I am concerned about your N.E.W.T’s. Wandering into space won’t be beneficial at all, especially if it’s been lasting a week,” she said firmly, looking into Lily’s downcast face.

“I know Professor. I…I’m sorry. I’ll tell the others that we should snap out of it.” She paused then said, smiling, “I’ll snap out of it. We’ve just been a little tired from coming back to school after a nice long break, that’s all.”

“Well, I suggest you all get a hold of yourselves, especially you Ms. Evans. The Head Girl can’t be seen zoning out in the middle of class.”

“Yes, professor.”

“Well, get going to your next class then, and I will see you tomorrow in better condition.”

Lily quickly took her leave and hurried down the hall, feeling a mixture of annoyance and guilt. She had almost forgotten the importance of her classes. McGonagall was right. As much as the events of the forest were important, she couldn’t just dwell in that place forever, or she might endanger herself in the present.

Lily gave a huff of frustration embedded with new-found determination as she hurried on to her next lesson.


Peter shivered slightly as a chilling draft of wind blew his cloak around, making it swish and swirl with the flow of the wind.

It was evening. The sun was setting in an ocean of shocking pink and orange. Peter’s small feet crunched across the floor of dry leaves strewn on the ground as he quietly made his way into the Forbidden Forest.

As he wound himself between the tall trees, he numbly thought of all the events that had happened in the past week.

Exactly a week ago, he had tracked down Bellatrix in order to soak in some more of her radiant beauty and charisma only to witness a side of her that he had thought unimaginable.

He started shaking just thinking about it. What she had done- or at least tried to do- was definitely against school rules. In fact, he thought as another shiver ran down his spine, he wasn’t all too sure whether it had been legal. He wouldn’t have been at all surprised if what she had done was worthy of a term in Azkaban. And the fact that she had been trying to do it to his own friends…

Peter shakily stumbled into a dark clearing. As he set foot on the soft ground, he felt himself relax a bit. He always felt himself relax in here. He breathed in deeply, filling himself with the crisp aroma of the pine trees and the cool air. His shoulders released some of the tenseness it had been carrying all week.

He pulled out his wand and waved it. A large raw steak appeared in mid-air and landed with a thud in front of him. He levitated it into the middle of the clearing then sat down on the ground to wait.

As he did, he reflected on how the others had approached him and told him everything down to the very last detail, never once guessing that the real reason the blood was draining from his face was because he already knew the whole story. In fact, he knew more than they could possibly imagine. They didn’t know that he had followed Bellatrix and witnessed everything. They didn’t know that he had snuck back from the forest into the dormitories well past two in the morning in the guise of a rat…

Day after day he had forced himself to be quiet and feign innocent ignorance, but it was becoming a lot harder to do. The guilt that he wasn’t giving all of them the key to the mystery was racking him every minute of every hour of every day. It haunted him in the nights and crept into his dreams. He felt as if he were slowly drowning in a sea of shame. As each day passed, he felt more and more ashamed at the thought that although his friends had put their complete trust and faith in him, he was continually choosing to ignore their loyalty and keep quiet.

Why was he not spilling the truth out? He had asked himself this query every time the guilt had swelled into him and each time he answered himself, even more shame filled him. The answer was simple- Bellatrix.

The memory of when he had fallen in love with her consumed him every time that he had tried to open his mouth and tell the truth. Deep down, he knew that if he told another soul about what she had done, he would lose her forever. If he played his cards right, if he kept quiet in front of his friends and then told Bellatrix that he had seen everything yet remained silent, he might yet get her to see him as the strong and loyal type of man he had always wanted to be seen as.

And if she still didn’t see him that way, he could even blackmail her into going on just one date with him, although that was the very last option he was willing to take.

But was he still willing to love her when she had tried to do something so cruel, so sadistic? Was he to choose the love of his life and the one chance he might ever get to woo her over his best friends?

He was saved the responsibility of answering himself when he heard a familiar rustling in the bushes to his left.

Now here’s someone who doesn’t care whether I’m tall, dark, and handsome.

“Hullo Tenebrus.”

A thestral had just emerged from the brambles and was walking serenely towards him. It twitched its glossy black tail and shook back its dark mane before nuzzling Peter on the cheek as a greeting and making its way towards the meat, stretching its long leathery wings on the way.

Peter always thought it a bit ironic that thestrals brought him relaxation and relief. Most people were nearly frightened to death by them, but he thought they had a gothic kind of charm that brought a strange calming effect. He loved everything about them, from their strange bony appearance, to their large, bat-like wings. It was queer that he, the most cowardly of the Marauders, could find the so-called living omens of death so beautiful. However, he couldn’t help but like them. The way people rejected them and misunderstood them reminded him forcefully of himself.

He had come to this clearing to meet the thestrals ever since he first saw them in one of his Care of Magical Creatures lessons some years before. It was a place where he could be alone from all the others and sit down and just think.

He heard another rustle behind him.

Thinking it was another thestral, he turned around to greet it. But when he had turned, he found himself looking directly at not a thestral, but Anne.

There was a stunned silence.

“Peter? What on earth are you doing here?” Anne asked in a voice that pronounced the astonishment she was feeling.

“I was about to ask you the same thing,” Peter said, closing his jaw which had dropped upon seeing her. He had always been a bit intimidated by Anne, and he found himself hoping that his tone of voice had managed to mask the wave of annoyance, fear, and surprise that had just washed over him.

“I- I wasn’t aware that anyone else cared to come to this place,” Anne said, recovering herself.

There was an awkward, stifling sort of silence.

Anne broke it by clearing her throat and walking over to Tenebrus to pat his mane.

“I came here to see the thestrals. Why are you here?” she asked again, this time more calmly and politely.

“Oh, well, I just…I dunno…just come here sometimes…” Peter mumbled. He was starting to feel stupid.

“Just come here sometimes, eh? Yeah, me too. The thestrals give me a bit of peace. Do they do that for you too?” Anne asked, smiling at Peter.

“Yeah…yeah, they do,” he answered, a bit surprised that he was actually able to connect with Anne on one level.

A silence passed once more, during which two more thestrals came into the clearing. Peter conjured some more meat and started to feed them.

“You know,” Anne spoke up suddenly, causing Peter and both thestrals to look up, “I think a lot of people would be surprised that you and I find thestrals so interesting. Well, maybe not me so much,” Anne added as an afterthought, slightly smiling to herself.

As Peter looked more closely at her, he suddenly noticed how very strained and dejected she looked. He wasn’t sure if it was the trick of the trees’ shadows but he thought he could see bags under her eyes, and there was definitely less luster in her spiky hair. All these characteristics didn’t fit her spit-fire personality at all, and Peter continued to stare at her until her voice brought him back to consciousness.

“But a lot of people seem to find you very cowardly, and I find that surprising. They‘d probably think that you‘re too scared to come near them or something stupid like that,” she said bluntly.

“Why does that surprise you? I am cowardly,” Peter muttered spitefully before he could stop himself.

“What on earth are you talking about?” Anne asked in a genuinely shocked voice, turning around to face Peter. “How can you say that? You’re one of the Marauders!”

“That doesn’t mean I’m automatically brave!” he shot back, surprising himself.

“Why? For God’s sake, I think anyone who can handle Sirius’s personality for more than two hours has more strength than any normal person.”

Peter laughed, surprising himself yet again in the process.

“But in all seriousness,” Anne said after their laughter had died out, “I know you must get stressed out from all the jokes and things Sirius and James do to you. I know I would,” she said quietly.

“How…how did you know?” Peter whispered in astonishment. “I didn’t think anyone…noticed me.”

“I notice a lot more things than you think. I have Bella to thank for that,” she said, a glimpse of sadness flickering across her face.

Peter stood still. He had never expected Anne of all the people in the world to take notice of what he was feeling.

“But you handle all of it very well. You’ve got to be strong to do that, and if you’re strong, I think you’re brave too.” Anne paused then added in a strangled sort of voice, “And… and you stay by Remus too. That’s brave.”

Peter didn’t know what to say. There was another long silence, broken periodically by the cracking of bones as the thestrals chomped through the red meat.

“I also wanted to thank you, Peter,” Anne said after a while. “Thank you for helping us try to solve this whole mystery thing. It means a lot to me and the girls.”

“No! Oh no, it’s nothing. We’re…” Peter looked deeply into Anne’s sharp black eyes.

“We’re all in this together.”

“Yeah. Yeah, we are,” Anne smiled.

Peter hesitated and then smiled back.

“Well, I’m sorry Peter. I must have intruded in on your quiet time! I’ll leave you alone now and come back myself a bit later,” Anne said.

“What? No! You weren’t intruding!” Peter said awkwardly, taken aback at Anne’s abrupt proposal to leave. Truth be told, he didn’t know whether he wanted her to stay or to go away.

“No, no. That’s quite all right. Well, I suppose I’ll be seeing you in the library since that’s where all of us tend to meet each other these days. Dear God, I’m telling you, it’s a damn good sight to see Sirius with his mouth shut for more than five minutes…”

Peter laughed as he waved good-bye and watched Anne’s black hair disappear behind the bushes. He stared at the spot where she had disappeared for a while then sat down on the cold ground once more. He buried his face in his hands and was quiet for a long time.


“So you haven’t noticed anything strange with Bellatrix yet?” Lily asked James, as they walked down the torch-lit stone walls, making their way through the castle as they always did on their night duties as Head Boy and Girl. As much as both of them had wanted to ignore their duties and continue their hunt for clues in the library, Lily had insisted that they fulfill their responsibilities upon having her talk with Professor McGonagall.

“No,” James said, letting out an aggravated sigh. “I just don’t get it. This is all so confusing, and it’s not like we can even tell someone. I mean, who would believe us? It’s not like we have any solid proof or anything,” he muttered. Lily nodded in agreement.

As she did so, she found herself glancing furtively at James. In the millions of times she had re-played all the events of the forest inside her mind’s eye, she couldn’t help but revisit all the times she had been worried to death about James and his safety.

If there was one positive outcome from the events in the forest, it was Lily’s new confidence about her feelings for James. She was sure of it now.

I love him. I love him more than I ever thought or thought I’d think.

Lily didn’t even blush as this thought re-occurred in her head. She had finally come to accept it with firm resolve. She had finally realized it even before entering the forest, but she hadn’t felt so firm about it as she did now. When all those horrible things had happened, the blow of realizing how precious he was to her had hit her hard. When they had finally reached the holy sanctuary Firenze had brought them to, her conversation with Firenze had helped her accept the truth with even firmer certainty.

From then on, she had decided it was time to really get a strong and quick move on with her relationship with James. Before then, she had been a bit fidgety about the whole thing, but now she was completely sure that she was ready.

“James,” Lily spoke up, her heart rate and blood pressure going up considerably due to the excitement beginning to bubble up within her. James looked at her.

“James, I… I don’t know where to start,” she said somewhat lamely. She halted in her tracks.

“Hmmm…it would be a bit strange if I just told him so suddenly. He’d probably have a heart attack if I just blurted out that I love him... Best would be to lead gradually into it,”Lily determined, as she looked into James’s innocently questioning face.

But Lily failed to think of what to start up as a nice conversation, so she decided to ask something about the happenings in the forest, since that was all they had been talking about that whole week.

“Er… do you… think that most of the stuff we encountered were things that could actually have happened? I mean,” she resumed walking once more, “I don’t think you‘re capable of suddenly transforming into a stag.” Lily smiled up at James.

They turned a corner and stepped into a long hallway. One side of it was lined with closed classroom doors set into a wall of bumpy stones. The other was composed entirely of clear glass windows. No torches were necessary here, for the moonlight was flooding the whole length of the hall in its pale blue shade.

The two of them walked steadily down the hall. Lily looked at James, hoping for some sort of an answer so that she could gradually come to the point she so dearly wanted to make. But, much to her disappointment, James remained silent.

As she looked more closely at him though, she thought that he looked as if he were struggling internally with some tough decision. As she continued to gaze at his face, which was pale with moonlight and had the shadows of the windows’ frames thrown across it, he seemed to reach some conclusion at last.

James stopped and slowly turned to face Lily. He stared deeply into her eyes.

Lily could only answer his gaze with a perplexed one. Then-

Lily gave an ear-splitting shriek as a large silver stag appeared on the spot where James had stood just seconds ago. Her scream echoed and bounced around the hallway.

She let out yet another loud screech as the magnificent stag took a step towards her. She unconsciously staggered backwards until her back hit the glass panes with a small squeak.

As she stared with a gaping mouth, the stag seemed to laugh playfully at her surprise.

Lily shook herself and placed a hand over her hammering heart. She gulped and unglued her back from the window.

She slowly and cautiously stepped towards the majestic creature. Its soft coat shimmered in the moonlight. A holy luminescent glow seemed to shine about him.

She approached him with the utmost circumspect, as if expecting him to bite off her hand any minute.

After a moment’s pause, she whispered uncertainly, “James?”

She gazed into his large, beautiful brown eyes. As she sank deeper into his warm eyes, she knew that she needed no verbal answer to know that this gorgeous stag was indeed James. He really was the brave stag that had risked his life for her in the forest.

“Prongs,” she murmured, just as she had done in the forest, except there was no Manticore ready to tear them both to pieces this time. Prongs seemed to beam.

She hesitated, then stretched out her hand and patted him gently on the head. His coat was as soft as silk. Lily giggled nervously, then petted him a bit more confidently as the shock of realizing that James really was an Animagus started to sink into her. He nuzzled her hand with his moist nose. Lily laughed.

She stared deeply into his soft eyes once more before swooping down and kissing him gently on the top of his head.

As she drew back, she felt a heat emanating from Prong’s body, as if he were blushing madly. She laughed as she perceived how very tense and immobile he had suddenly become. His eyes had grown wide and had transformed into two humungous orbs. He looked more in shock than Lily had been when he had transformed.

“If you turn back into a human, maybe I’ll even give you one on the lips,” she said, smiling cheekily.

But before Prongs had been able to register this through his stupefied brain, both he and Lily heard the sound of footsteps echoing speedily across the stone floor just around the corner. Before either one had any time to react-

“MS. EVANS! WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING?”

Lily tightly shut her eyes.

She heaved a sigh as if to say “I knew something like this would happen”, re-opened her eyes, and slowly turned around to come face to face with Professor McGonagall for the second time that day.


A/N: What will happen to Lily and Prongs? What will Peter choose to do? Read and Review!!!
Prongs, Thoughts, and McGonagall: Part II: Endymion Lucent. by Shock
Author's Notes:
I know that this chapter is a bit out of chronological order, so let me explain when this takes place. This chapter takes place right after Anne steps out of the forest after her talk with Peter. The whole scene with Lily and Prongs from the previous chapter takes place around the same time as the very last sentence of this chapter. Sorry if that's confusing. You'll get it though after you read, so read on!





“Damn, just looking at her turns me on!”





“I know! She’s practically the only one left out of the 'Hot Three'.”





“Wait, I thought that smart-arse Lupin had her.”





“I did too, but something has apparently crushed their little love. They’re not as cozy nowadays!”





The three boys who had been muttering excitedly amongst each other suddenly shut their mouths and turned around blushing madly as Anne swept by, giving them a piercing glare of pure disgust.





She furiously readjusted the stack of heavy tomes in her arms as she stomped down the hall leading out of the library and up some narrow stone steps.





After leaving Peter in the Thestrals’ clearing, Anne had gone to the library in hopes of finding clues to the mystery in the forest. However, her tired and stressed-out mind just didn‘t seem to want to function properly, so she had ended up checking out a bunch of informational books to help her with her current Potions assignment. She had picked out quite a few and now regretted getting so much, for her arms were starting to get sore.





Anne picked up her pace, wondering when her arms would fall off from the weight of the books. As her irritation at the heavy texts grew, her annoyance with the whispering boys also enlarged.





Ever since she, Alice, and Lily had formally declared their friendship and had hit maturity, they had been silently declared as the “Hot Three” by all the boys at Hogwarts. Alice was adored for her adorable round face and cuteness, but had been off limits as soon as she had started dating Frank. Lily’s brave, witty nature and flaming red hair was enough to turn any guy on, although none had dared to approach her in fear of being hexed into oblivion by the infamous James Potter.





As for Anne, she herself couldn’t see why all the guys seemed to hang to her. She had always thought herself as a little intimidating, what with her sharp intellect and hair style, and “back off, or else” personality. But little did she know that this tough flair was what attracted the guys the most. And if personality didn’t matter to the men, her looks certainly made up for it.





But all this was unfortunately missed by Anne, and she continued to stomp up the stairs, scowling at the ground, and pondering confused and enflamed thoughts of annoying whispering boys. She consoled herself slightly by imagining all the horrible things she could curse them into if they dared touch her.





A bit cheered up after picturing a particularly satisfying scene which included one of the whispering boys, a rather large Acromantula, and herself brandishing a whip, Anne lifted her eyes and gazed around at the corridor that she had walked herself into. She paused in her steps and gazed out the windows.





The ruby sun was bowing the last visible parts of its glowing head under the horizon line, while the gray-blue sky swiftly clawed after it. The sky’s metallic color drenched the hall.





For the first time in what seemed like a century, Anne felt herself relax. The sky was just so beautiful. Her eyes continued to wander until they landed on the tips of forest’s trees.





I wonder if Peter is still in there…





At the thought of Peter, her weariness and tired thoughts gripped her once more. She heaved a sigh and resumed walking. Her thoughts continued to linger on Peter.





This is our last year at Hogwarts. I’ve done my best to keep Bella’s damn hands off Peter and the others for the last two years, and it’s worked so far, but still…I can’t help but feel nervous. This year is her last year. She almost got all of us in the forest, and I’m willing to bet anything that she’s not through yet. This is her last chance. She’s getting desperate.





Anne heaved yet another tired sigh. She paused in her steps and looked to the silver sky once more.





I just hope Peter remembers where his loyalty lies. He’s not comfortable being teased all the time by Sirius and the others. That’s why I’ve been making such an effort to be nicer to him, but still…He could end up forgetting the kindness he’s received and focusing only on all the damage done these past few years.





As Anne stepped out of the hall and into a new, larger corridor packed with students, she was pushed out of her reverie by Peeves, who flew into the corridor cackling his head off and looking rather like a Muggle inmate in a lurid, bright orange tuxedo.





Is it time for Peeves’s annual Halloween countdown already?“ Anne thought dully.





Sure enough, Peeves began throwing black water balloons, filled with what looked like orange ketchup mixed with giant troll boogers, onto the heads of the screaming students, while he, himself, cackled, “Only a few more weeks until Halloween! Peevsie will be giving you all an even more special treat on that day!”





Anne smoothly dodged a wheezing Filch, who had bustled his way into the corridor brandishing a broom, Mrs. Norris just at his heels. He began pouring a stream of infuriated curse words at the cackling poltergeist, as Anne managed to squeeze herself and her mountain of books into a secret tunnel behind a large frayed tapestry.





In the silence of the tunnel, her thoughts drifted from how Filch was always fighting a losing battle against Peeves, then to Peter again, before focusing back on to the whispering boys. As soon as she did, her anger spiraled up again.





Insolent little arses, they are! Like I’d ever think twice about them unless I were hexing them! I have enough strife in my life without their stupid whispers, what with the forest, Peter, Bellatrix…and Remus,” she thought furiously, as she managed to lift up another large tapestry while precariously balancing her books on one of her uplifted knees.





As she stepped out onto a silent and empty hall, her mind wandered back to the memories of the events in the forest as it had done a thousand times that week. A vision of Bellatrix’s pale face suddenly swarmed in front of her eyes. Anne twitched her head in manner mixed with irritability and nervousness, and Bellatrix’s hollow eyes turned into Lily’s green ones. They were shocked and frightened.





Anne sighed as she remembered the looks on her friends’ faces the night she had lost control of herself. She had shocked everyone more than she ever would have thought possible. But then again, they had never seen her like that. Not even Alice or Lily had seen that side of her. They didn’t know that a part like that had existed in her.





Well, how could they? I’ve never really told them the full story of my past. Only one other person has seen me in that sort of condition…





She readjusted her books once more with a labored grunt. As she did, her thoughts flew back to the annoying, muttering boys. She scowled at the thought that they had the nerve to think that she was: “the only one out of the Hot Three left.”





Besides, they’re all wrong about me. They think that I’ve given up on Remus, have they? Well…





Anne halted in her steps. She could feel her heart thumping wildly, as if it were throwing itself in all sorts of directions within her chest.





Had she given up on Remus? No! Of course she hadn’t, she loved him! But...





He had pushed her away. He had cold-heartedly rejected her when he so clearly knew that all she needed was him. Nothing about him would change her feelings for him.





She still loved him, but did he love her? If he did, then how could he possibly have the heart to cast her away when he knew that she loved him beyond all measure, all limits? How could he push her aside like that after the horrible events of the forest?





She shook her head violently as the thought that had been haunting her for a week returned to her once more.





What if he doesn’t love me?





Anne suddenly felt something warm drip down her lips. One hand sprang to her lips to find them smeared with blood. With a frustrated sigh, she tilted her head back to stop her nose bleed.





With the same hand, she fumbled in her pockets for her wand, thinking grimly of how stressed she must be to push herself until the point of creating a nose bleed.





Anne vehemently whispered “shit” as her searching fingers knocked her wand out of her pocket. Sometimes she felt clumsier than Alice. She thought of how lazy she was in that she didn’t want to put her heavy books on the ground just for the sake of not having to pick the damn things up again.





She was about to fling them down to the floor when someone lifted them out of her arms. With blood still ensuing from her nose and her head thrown back, Anne had no view of the stranger and could do nothing but stand helplessly.





Before she could start yelling at the stranger to give them back, which was about the only thing she could do at the moment, the mysterious stranger took out his wand and pointed it directly at Anne’s face. Instantly, the sweet blood that had been running down into her throat vanished. Her nostrils were also cleared from blood.





Before she had lifted her head up into its proper position, her stranger gave another gentle wave and her blood-stained lips, chin, and hand immediately became clean again.





Quite taken aback with all the helpfulness, Anne readjusted her head to thank her helper.





Anne lifted her head and for a second, thought that she was looking into the eyes of an angel.





They were the most beautiful eyes she had ever beheld. They had the power to take one’s breath away. As soon as she had connected her eyes to his, she felt as if she had been thrown into a pool of pure moonlight. His eyes were a gorgeous light blue, so light that they were on the point of nearly turning a shade of purple. They were the exact color of the moon’s beams at full moon. She could feel herself sinking into those pale, captivating eyes. She wanted to stay immersed in them forever.





“Are you all right?” the boy asked, a concerned look on his handsome face.





Anne blinked and shook her head. She suddenly realized that she was blushing.





“Er, yes. Yes, I’m fine,” she said, shaking herself slightly and quickly regaining her usual composure. She stooped down to retrieve her wand.





The stranger, perceiving on what she was about to do, immediately bent down also. He beat her to her wand and grabbed it before Anne had even bent her knees. He picked it up and handed it to her.





“Thank you,” Anne whispered, as she took it from him, not daring to look up into those captivating eyes. But despite her effort not to, she felt her eyes wandering up to his face once more, as if pulled by an invisible magnet.





He was the most gorgeous man she had ever seen. He was quite tall, about a foot taller than Anne, even though she was quite tall herself. Though his black robes were covering his arms and legs, Anne could easily perceive his thin but muscular features. His hair, which fell casually and gracefully about his forehead and face, was sleek, shiny, and as black as the night sky. Even more flawless than his hair was his skin. It was perfect, faultless, and as pale and pure as the full moon itself.





His sweet voice made Anne snap out of her trance.





“No problem,” the stranger said. “I’m new here. My name is Endymion Lucent.”





He tried to extend his hand towards her, but the load of books he was carrying ended up impeding him. Instead, Anne’s many books toppled out of his arms and scattered themselves all around the two.





“Oh, shit- I mean…sorry! Sorry for cussing- and, and for dropping your books!”





“Oh no!” Anne said quickly. “No, it’s fine! You’ve helped me so much already. And I cuss too, so it‘s really no problem!” Anne smiled.





Was it just her imagination, or did he flush at her smile?





“Here, er, let me help you pick them up again,” he said, stooping down. Anne quickly crouched down too. Soon, both of them were busy retrieving the books.





“Oh! By the way, my name is Anne. Anne Wu.”





Endymion, who had been picking up a particularly large book suddenly lost his grip, causing it to crash down on to his toes.





“MFFF!” he stifled a scream of pain.





“Dear Merlin, are you all right?” Anne gasped, dropping all the books she had picked up and crouching down next to Endymion who was now crunched into a ball, caressing his toes.





“Yeah. Yeah, I’m all right, but my toes aren’t.“ He grinned painfully, looking into Anne’s eyes.





Anne suddenly felt herself gazing into his beautiful eyes again. She tried to pull away, but for some reason, she sensed that he was trapped in her eyes too.





They both blinked.





“Er, sorry. I’m not usually this clumsy!“ Endymion said, breaking eye contact and groping for books once more.





“Oh! No, no, er, it’s fine!” Anne answered, lunging forward to retrieve books also.





An awkward silence passed during which the two speedily picked up the rest of the tomes. After a few minutes, the books were back in Anne’s arms again.





“There we are!” Endymion grunted, as he laid the last few textbooks in her arms.





“Thank you,” Anne smiled. “Sorry. All I keep saying is thank you!”





“It’s no problem.” Endymion smiled back. As the two gazed at each other once more, another uncomfortable stillness passed between them.





“Er…do you need help carrying these back to your common room?” Endymion asked, obviously trying to break the awkwardness. “Well, more than that, do you need help reading these? I mean, they’re all so advanced! I take it you’re in N.E.W.T. year for Potions?”





“Yeah. I actually really like Potions, but I have to admit, it’s a real pain in the ass this year!” Anne grinned.





“I bet,” he grinned back. “I like Potions too. I don’t mean to brag, but it’s always been my best subject.”





“Really? Then if I come to you for help, you’ll be able to give it to me no matter how hard the question is?” Anne said cheekily.





Endymion smiled.





“We’ll see.”





Endymion’s smile suddenly vanished. He hastily fumbled in his robes and whipped out a pocket watch. He jumped as he saw the time.





“Dear Merlin! Is that the time? Shit, I’ll be late for the meeting!” he whispered.





“Is everything all right?” Anne frowned.





“Yes- I hope,” Endymion smiled shakily, shoving his watch back into his pocket. “Sorry Anne, but I have to go!”





“Oh, no problem!” Anne said, taken aback by his hastiness.





“I’ll see you later!” he said as he sped off in the opposite direction. He turned the corner and was gone.





“Bye,” Anne whispered, staring at the spot where he had vanished.





He just disappeared…like some heavenly dream. I’ve never seen such eyes…and he was so kind to me. I didn’t even get to ask where he came from or what house he’s in or anything.





But for some reason…I get a feeling I’ll see him again soon.






Anne turned to walk down the hall and up to the Gryffindor common room. As she reflected on her conversation with the mysterious Endymion, she finally realized it.





“OH MY GOD! I WAS FLIRTING WITH SOMEONE OTHER THAN MOONY! I WAS FLIRTING WITH ANOTHER MAN
! DOES THAT MEAN I WAS CHEATING? OH DEAR MERLIN!” she screamed aloud in horror.





All her books came crashing down to the floor once more.





A/N #2: I can tell you right now, Endymion isn't one of those unoriginal, goody-two-shoes boring guys. We haven't seen the last of him yet!







A/N #3: Just a curiosity poll, but who do you think is hotter Endymion or Sirius?



A/N#4: (Wow- many A/N's!) Okay, so I think I've just discovered that everyone thinks Sirius is the hottest piece of human in Potterverse! lol So the poll is now OFF. But if you still want to show your Sirius pride, go ahead! BUT REMEMBER TO COMMENT ON THE CHAPTER TOO PLEASE! THANKS EVERYONE!
Prongs, Thoughts, and McGonagall: Part III. by Shock
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the long, long, long, long wait everyone!
“MISS EVANS! WHAT ON EARTH ARE YOU DOING?”

Lily tightly shut her eyes.

She heaved a sigh as if to say: “I knew something like this would happen”, re-opened her eyes, and slowly turned around to come face to face with Professor McGonagall for the second time that day.

Professor McGonagall was standing at the very end of the hallway, wearing the most scandalized expression. The metal frames of her glasses glinted in the moon’s beams, making her look angrier and more formidable than ever.

Lily grimaced as she stomped over to them. The echoes of her angry footsteps on the hard floor seemed to slam into Lily and Prongs, making them shrink in fear. Even from a distance, both of them could tell that her nostrils were flared.

“WHAT, WHAT ON EARTH IS A STAG DOING IN THIS HALLWAY?” Professor McGonagall spluttered incredulously, her head swiveling from Lily to Prongs and back again.

Lily could feel the blood draining from her face as she stared up into the face of her breathless professor. Panic was swiftly crawling up from the tips of her toes to the very top of her head.

What on earth was she to say? ‘Oh yes, Professor, I was doing my duties, as usual, and there was a stag in here, so I just thought I’d stop to give it a swift pat on the head and a friendly kiss then move on with patrol.’ Yeah, that was the sure-fire way to go…

Lily gave a silent moan of desperation. She stole a quick glance at Prongs, who’s eyes looked shocked and at a loss for what to do. Lily forced down the squirming sensation of panic that was threatening to wriggle out of her throat.

Think! What would Anne do? How would she lie?“ Lily thought frantically.

She felt a twinge of guilt for letting her thoughts immediately jump to Anne when she obviously needed to create a convincing lie, but now was not the time to worry about that. McGonagall was bearing down on her, and Lily could practically see the steam pouring out of her nostrils as her anger boiled. Her whole countenance seemed to sizzle and singe.

“I… Professor…I…have a very good explanation to this!” Lily rushed through the end of her sentence in one nerve-racked breath.

“Yes, Miss Evans, I should daresay you do, or else you can look forward to a month’s worth of detention!” Professor McGonagall said breathlessly, in a tone mixed with pure shock and fired-up outrage.

“Yes… well, the thing is,” Lily stuttered, her heart beating like an out of control drum.

Lily desperately tried to think of some kind - any kind - of explanation while, at the same time, she attempted to block the swirling clouds of panic from fogging up her brain.

But the only thought that managed to race through Lily’s mind was that she and Prongs were doomed. How on earth was she to solve this horrible state of affairs? It would be hard enough to explain anything if Prongs had been a real stag and not an Animagus. To top it all off, Prongs was probably an unregistered Animagus.

No, no. What am I thinking ’probably’ for? It would be more strange and miraculous if he were a registered Animagus. James Potter do something legal? Yeah, right, like that’s ever going to happen… So this is just great. McGonagall is going to kill and expel me and then put James in Azkaban for illegal underage activities.

Suddenly, a white hot sense of panic that had nothing to do with her concern of her own well being stole over Lily’s whole body.

What if she actually does do something to James? What if the Ministry actually does get involved in this? I mean, okay, so becoming an unregistered Animagus, especially when you’re not even legally an adult, is a pretty bad offense, but James never meant to do anything wrong! It was harmless! He was…

Lily gave a mental sigh of exasperation.

He was just having ‘fun’.

“MISS EVANS! If you do not give me a proper explanation in the next three seconds, I will make sure you confess in detention for the rest of the year or prior to your possible expulsion!” McGonagall exploded with impatience, causing Lily and Prongs to both cringe in fear once more.

Lily stole a quick glance at Prongs. Her bright green eyes connected with his warm hazel ones. She could see her own shocked eyes reflected in his equally shaken ones.

What am I supposed to do, James?

But as she stared deeply into his lovingly warm eyes, she suddenly felt herself ease. Her tense shoulders relaxed and she closed her eyes. Somehow - whether it was magically or instinctively, she couldn’t tell - she suddenly could feel James’s fiery spirit in her own passionate soul. In the next millisecond that followed, she could almost touch his slender, yet sturdy, fingers as they wound themselves meticulously, gently, and affectionately around her troubled heart, soothing and caressing her. She could sense his body heat enveloping her, melting her like a warm midsummer night. She could smell his scent, that heavenly scent of fresh air that comes only with the rising sun.

It’ll be okay, Lily. Don’t panic. Just think.

And suddenly, the sensation was gone, although its glow remained in her heart. Her eyes snapped open to reveal her brilliantly green eyes as they found themselves staring once more into Prongs’s.

How she knew that he was smiling warmly and encouragingly at her, she couldn’t tell. All she knew was that somehow, with James at her side, everything would be okay.

And this sensation isn’t at all unfamiliar. It’s the feeling I’ve always received from his vibrant personality, his cheerful and care-free laugh, his caring nature. It’s the very essence of happiness, of hope…

It was as if a new flame of hope that had burst open in her heart. Her heart was still hammering away in her chest, but the cold claws of panic had released its grip on her. With this new-found feeling of determination, Lily suddenly realized what she must do.

Lily gave a small smile at Prongs.

Prongs seemed to frown. Was that a hint of sorrow etched onto her gorgeous face? And what was this sudden look of settled determination that had suddenly engraved itself onto her countenance. After six years of staring at her, Prongs knew that this look only revealed itself before Lily took drastic actions. And was it just him, or was she tightening her grip around her wand inside her pocket?

Prongs made to step forward, as if to somehow talk Lily out of whatever crazy action she was about to take. However, before he did, something happened; something unbelievable; something miraculous; something he had waited six years - no - his whole life for.

Lily, turning slightly around, locked her gaze on James and mouthed silently, but clearly, three words that made his heart want to stop beating, tear itself apart, and explode with ecstasy all at the same time. They were the three words he knew were destined to be uttered into his ear someday.

“I love you.”

Prongs’s eyes widened. For a moment he could only stare at her face, that face he had memorized every detail of in the last six years. It was the face that could transform into that of an ogre’s but would still shine like gold in his eyes because he loved her. He loved her not for her looks, not for her brains, not for anything but the fact that she was her. They were just simply destined to be, and now both of them knew it and would know it and treasure this fact in their hearts forevermore.

This train of thoughts flew between the two teens on seemingly soft wings within but a few seconds, but was harshly severed by Professor McGonagall’s incensed voice. Time suddenly seemed to speed up to its normal, hectic pace as the professor spoke.

“One!” She began to count down the three seconds, during which Lily was expected to decide once and for all what to do.

But even before the count of two, Lily had made up her mind and was tightening her already firm grip on her wand.

I won’t let McGonagall, the Ministry, anyone, or anything upset your life, James.

“Two!”

I’d rather die than let that happen. I know I’ll have to sacrifice the last six years of hard work to prove that I’m not lying, but I’d rather be expelled a hundred times over than see you being locked away in some stupid prison, that fire that I love slowly being doused with darkness.

So here goes nothing.


“THREE, MISS EVANS!”

I love you.

Lily suddenly whipped out her wand with alacrity. Her hands were shaking, but there was a set look of determination burning within her eyes.

RELASHIO!” she shouted before McGonagall could register the fact that Lily had just done something so incredibly stupid.

Prongs reared up in surprise, thinking that the spell was intended for McGonagall.

But Lily gave a triumphant smile as her spell squarely hit one of the many window frames, causing the whole wall of glass to shatter and come raining down to the ground.

The moonlight shone through the droplets of glass. They seemed to fall in slow motion, like crystallized rain drops, as Prongs realized what Lily was doing.

The glass hailed down and splashed into millions of clear fragments, scattering themselves across the floor as Prongs spun around to face Lily.

Professor McGonagall lashed out her wand, a look of shock and anger spread across her face.

“RUN, YOU IDIOT, RUN! ESCAPE THROUGH THE WINDOWS!” Lily screeched.

For a millisecond, Prongs seemed not to know what to do.

But the moment only lasted for a fraction of a second. He ran, but not towards and out the now empty expanse that Lily had created. Instead, he dashed towards Professor McGonagall.

Perhaps it was the shock of seeing a giant, full-grown silver stag cantering directly towards her for the first time in her life that made Professor McGonagall pause for the slightest moment in releasing her Stunning Spell. In this slight pause though, Lily suddenly regained the sense of movement that she had lost due to the fear and pride of doing something so mad. She swiftly lunged at the professor, who was standing a mere three feet away and had already raised her wand in order to stun Prongs.

Screaming unconsciously, Lily flung herself at the surprised professor and tackled her to the floor.

I won’t let you hurt him!

As the two women toppled to the floor, Lily forcefully knocked the stunned professor’s wand out of her hand and sent it flying through the air. Prongs paused slightly in front of the two prostrated bodies before soaring in a graceful arc above them and catching the wand between his teeth. His hooves landed with a loud clatter that echoed throughout the hall, which was sparkling with glass .

As swiftly as the wind itself, Prongs cantered down the hall, turned sharply at the corner, and disappeared.


Anne had finally picked up her books for what she hoped would be the final time and was trudging up some stone steps once more.

Is it just me, or is the castle teasing me by placing the common room farther away from me with each step I goddamn take?,” Anne thought furiously as beads of sweat began to burst out all over her smooth skin.

As she tried to pick up her pace, she noticed the moon’s bright beams spilling out from the nearest window and onto her heavy texts, causing the peeling gold enamel outlining the words “Advanced Potions” on the top most book of her gargantuan stack to glint with pale blue gleam.

Suddenly, the image of two wonderfully pale blue eyes flickered up in Anne’s mind.

Endymion Lucent…

Anne stared down at her potions book pensively, replaying her encounter with Endymion once more despite the fact that she felt guilty for daring to think of someone the opposite sex besides Moony.

His eyes were just like the moon. So pale and gorgeous and yet…it seemed like they were hiding something too. When I looked into them, I thought I was staring at an angel.

But…it was like the angel was weeping softly somewhere inside at the same time…


Anne shook her head slightly as she realized that her mouth was slightly open.

Maybe it’s just me.

She shook her head once more and snorted in a desperate attempt to regain her consciousness.

Well, he said he’d help me with potions homework, so I suppose I’ll be seeing more of him soon.

Oh! And I wonder what’s happened to Lily.

Anne grinned to herself at this thought.

Even though Sirius is seriously touched in the head somewhere, I’ve got to admit that he has some brilliant plans sometimes - although the S.M.S.O.B. could live without his plans to make orange and sparkly lanyards for all of us,” thought Anne, as she exasperatedly rolled her eyes.

Even I never have thought of spiking Lily’s drink with Draft of Recklessness! Imagine that! Sirius Black beating me at formulating a plan! Well, the effects should be kicking in right about now, and I daresay that they should have some pretty strong holdings on her since every member mistakenly thought it was their job to do it instead of the other. Oh well! She’ll be pouring her heart out to James in no time.

With that comforting thought, Anne gave a low, evil chuckle, hitched up her pile of tomes once more, and walked on through the moonlit corridors.


Prongs, Thoughts, and McGonagall: Part IV. by Shock
Author's Notes:
I'm back~

Sorry if I'm a bit rusty, but it's been awhile since I've written. Not to worry though, the plot is still crystal clear in my head! Thank you to all the fans who have stuck with me and reviewed; it's what made me come back.

And my goodness, I seem to have piled up quite a bit on reviews! I shall answer all of them someday!!! I promise!!



Endymion Lucent…

Anne stared down at her potions book pensively, replaying her encounter with Endymion once more despite the fact that she felt guilty for daring to think of someone the opposite sex besides Moony.

His eyes were just like the moon. So pale and gorgeous and yet…it seemed like they were hiding something too. When I looked into them, I thought I was staring at an angel.

But…it was like the angel was weeping softly somewhere inside at the same time…


Anne shook her head slightly as she realized that her mouth was slightly open.

Maybe it’s just me.

She shook her head once more and snorted in a desperate attempt to regain her consciousness.

Well, he said he’d help me with potions homework, so I suppose I’ll be seeing more of him soon.

Oh! And I wonder what’s happened to Lily.


Anne grinned to herself at this thought.

Even though Sirius is seriously touched in the head somewhere, I’ve got to admit that he has some brilliant plans sometimes - although the S.M.S.O.B. could live without his plans to make orange and sparkly lanyards for all of us, thought Anne, as she exasperatedly rolled her eyes.

Even I never have thought of spiking Lily’s drink with Draft of Recklessness! Imagine that! Sirius Black beating me at formulating a plan! Well, the effects should be kicking in right about now, and I daresay that they should have some pretty strong holdings on her since every member mistakenly thought it was their job to do it instead of the other. Oh well! She’ll be pouring her heart out to James in no time.

With that comforting thought, Anne gave a low, evil chuckle, hitched up her pile of tomes once more, and walked on through the moonlit corridors.



Lily’s head was buzzing. A stifling numbness was spreading through her brain, making her unaware that her eyes were out of focus and her mouth was hanging slightly ajar.

What had she just done?

She lifted her eyes to see her left arm sticking out for what looked to her dazed self like quite a few feet.

How did my arm get there?

She twitched a strand of fiery red hair out of her line of sight, making it glint like a pale ruby in the cold moonlight before tilting her head back a bit more. It was only then that she realized two things: she was lying on the stone floor and her arm was being tugged at by Professor McGonagall.

The shock of having recklessly broken so many school rules in so short a time for the first time in her life seemed to have stunned all sense out of Lily. It was only after she gave her head a rather violent shake that she realized Professor McGonagall was shouting ” and quite loudly at that.

“Reckless, irresponsible, and Head Girl too! I never would have expected this kind of behaviour from you, Miss Evans! I must report this; I cannot allow this sort of behavior to pass! But I never would have expected you, of all people, to do something of this nature! Straight up to my office and…”

On and on the diatribe went. Professor McGonagall had ” with much effort ” managed to pull Lily to her feet and was now tugging the numb and stumbling Lily down the hall, which was littered with shattered glass. The myriad of shards sparkled sharply, yet so beautifully and fragilely in the pale moonlight as the women’s shadows passed and slipped over them.

“And where is Potter? Isn’t he supposed to be with you?” Professor McGonagall shot at Lily as they neared the end of the luminescent hallway.

Potter…

“JAMES!” Lily screamed without warning, causing the already incensed professor to jump.

“Yes James, Miss Evans! Where is he?” the professor inquired furiously, her lips thinning and her nose flaring so intensely that her face looked like all nose and no mouth.

“I…I…” Lily spluttered.

Where had he cantered off to? Lily’s senses returned so sharply she felt as if they had been lying splintered on the ground like the shards of glass but had suddenly flown through the air and lodged themselves back into her brain like shrapnel. For one wild moment, everything seemed to whirl about her.

And then she realized it: he was safe.

James you’re safe now. Your cover isn’t blown. You’re not in trouble…

That thought alone was enough to stabilize her ” body and soul. McGonagall was still ranting at her as she never done before, but to Lily’s surprise, she found that she didn’t care much. She did what she had set out to do, and she was happy with that.

True, she would taint her perfect, “golden and glittering” as James had once called it, school record. She could even be expelled. All those years of hard work…gone in one reckless moment.

But it was for him.

In that moment, Lily felt more proud than she had ever felt. She felt a kind of pride no perfect exam score, school award, professors’ accolades, or a school record of pure gold could ever give her. It was the pride that came from self-sacrifice - from showing the daring, nerve, and chivalry that set Gryffindors apart.

Lily suddenly realized that her shoulders were drooping. She straightened them. She held her head high, flashing back to a time when Anne had once told her to “keep your head ‘cause there’s nothing look at on the ground.”

It would seem remarkable to Lily, when she reflected on that moment often in the future, that all those thoughts and emotions had gone through her mind in the mere minute it took to be tugged along by the fuming professor down towards the end of the hall.

As the two women made to turn the corner at the hall’s end, and just as Lily was reassuring herself that James, at least, would escape the fiery wrath of the Professor McGonagall, they heard a clattering of footsteps running hurriedly towards them.

Professor McGonagall stopped abruptly and, consequently, so did Lily, as none other than James Potter ” the man for whom Lily had just sacrificed everything for ” ran into view from the corner of the stone hall.

There was a split second where James’ glasses glinted in the moonlight and Lily’s stomach seemed to flop down to the floor.

WHAT IN MERLIN’S NAME ARE YOU DOING?

But before Lily could voice her outrage audibly, Professor McGonagall said, “There you are, Potter. Go on with your duties. Miss Evans and I have some important matters to discuss.”

“But, Professor, can’t it wait?” James asked breathlessly, a panicked expression taking hold of his face.

“No, I’m afraid not. Miss Evans has ”“

“But ” but, something just pushed a first year two stories off a balcony!” James exclaimed, still panting to steady himself after what was apparently a very quick run.

“WHAT?” Professor McGonagall and Lily shouted simultaneously, both thoroughly alarmed. Lily momentarily forgot her own rage at James for daring to appear again. Had James accidentally pushed some innocent bystander as he had made his escape?

“Yeah, some big animal or something. I didn’t want to move the student or anything in case, you know, I’d injure him more or something. I was going to go get Madam Pomfrey,” James said, leaning on his knees as he continued to try and regain a normal pace of breathing.

Professor McGonagall hurriedly let go of Lily, allowing blood to circulate through her arm once more.

“Then don’t just stand there, Potter! Go and alert Madam Pomfrey while I attend to the student! Just where did the student fall from?”

“Not too far from here - near that portrait of the wizard who can’t stop lying.”

“Miss Evans, you stay there and don’t you dare make another unwise decision by wandering off!” And with that whip-like statement, Professor McGonagall was off. She hurried around the corner and was gone.

The second Professor McGonagall disappeared, James yanked Lily towards himself. Bewildered, Lily found herself being pulled hastily down the opposite end of the hall this time by James. Alarmed that she was rapidly leaving behind the spot where she was supposed to have stayed put, concerned about the hurt student, and slightly annoyed that she had been pulled around like a show dog for the past few minutes, she began to struggle with him.

“James, wha ”“

“Just follow me.”

“But, Madam Pomfrey, and”“

“There is no kid.”

“WHAT? But McGonagall ” I have to ” you have to - “

James whipped his wand out with such alacrity that Lily didn’t have time to react as his spell silenced her voice, leaving Lily to stupidly open and close her mouth rapidly like a goldfish.

Furious, Lily made to punch James full in the face and make her escape, but James suddenly came to stop in front of a large portrait of what looked like a mountain of chocolate.

Before Lily could so much as raise her balled fist, he had stood on the tips of his toes and swiftly licked the tip of the painted mountain. The mountain rapidly dissolved into streams of liquid dark chocolate to reveal a gaping hole and a small circular space behind it. The space looked as if it could barely fit two people. A dim light that came from somewhere above was the space’s only light source. Lily could just make out a narrow steep, metal stairway against the stone wall that ascended up into the mysterious glow.

James hurriedly pushed Lily inside before hurtling himself into the small space as the mountain of chocolate began to swiftly solidify and re-form, blocking the passageway.

Lily once again made to punch James so that she could hurl herself against the now blocked opening, but James grabbed both her shoulders before she could.

“Lily, no! Wait!” James began to pant again as he struggled to stop Lily from punching him.

“Wait, Lily, just ” just ” LISTEN TO ME!!” James bellowed.

It wasn’t James’ yell but the shock of seeing tears in his eyes that made Lily abruptly stop trying to make her escape. She momentarily forgot everything and stared at him; she had never seen him cry before, and the sight of it was both shocking and shockingly painful to look at.

“I know what you’re trying to do. I know,” James said weakly, his hands pressing Lily’s arms against the circular wall, his head bowed as if he were praying for forgiveness.

“You’re just going to take all the blame, aren’t you? You’re just going to take it ” take it all for me. You’re going to throw away all that hard work for me. All those late nights of studying, all those awards you worked so hard to get, all those duties you fulfilled, all of it! Because ” because you love me!”

Lily merely stared at James’ bowed head, unable to see his expression.

What was he doing? Of course she was throwing that all away. In fact, she had thrown it all away. Now she just had to face the consequences. Did he actually think that she would let him be carted out of Hogwarts and perhaps even to Azkaban when the mere sight of him crying was torturing her like this? But she hadn’t given it all up just so that James could lie to Professor McGonagall and get in trouble anyways, albeit it wouldn’t be as big of trouble as it could have been if she hadn’t stepped in. But still! What on earth was he playing at?

She wanted to voice this out loud, but James’ spell was still in full effect. She therefore began trying to pry herself out of James’ grip. Alas, as prior events had so brutally proven, years of Quidditch had made James stronger than Lily.

“But I won’t let you,” James said suddenly in a low voice.

Lily abruptly ceased struggling once more as she felt a sudden surge of energy pouring from him. He slowly lifted his head, his face mere inches away from Lily’s. He wasn’t crying. The light cast his face in an impressive shadow, making James’ love for Lily look more pronounced than ever before. Something like fierce bravery and determination mixed with the mulish stubbornness Lily knew so well had replaced the tears in his eyes.

Lily lost herself in his fierce, yet steady and inexplicably comforting gaze.

Without thinking, James leaned slowly closer to Lily. She didn’t draw away.

Their bodies met. As their foreheads touched, both of them instinctively closed their eyes.

There was a short silence in which Lily only knew the touch of his skin on hers, somehow already knowing what he was about to say.

“I love you too, Lily,” he whispered.

And without hesitating, they kissed.

It was indescribable. It was the moment Lily knew they had both been waiting for. As his lips pushed softly onto hers’, all she knew was him - his smell, his messy hair tangled between her fingers, his muscular arms slowly wrapping around her waist.

His lips slowly, gently, yet vigorously, moved against her own - pausing only to pant and draw breath. It felt as if their souls were entwined to each other, encapsulating each other ” inseparable. Only the two of them existed in that moment. Only the feel of each other’s soft lips, the heat of their intertwined bodies, and the sound of each other’s hard breathing were all that filled the small circular space.

It was heaven.