I Just Wanted You to Know by Keltoi
Summary: This story fits between books 5 and 6. Hermione's outlook on life has changed since events at the Department of Mysteries, and she hopes Ron will ask her to stay for the summer holidays, but another argument puts paid to that idea - or does it? UPDATE 28 Feb: w00t! 1000 reads! Thanks everyone - final 2 chapters coming soon!
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 8 Completed: Yes Word count: 16134 Read: 31419 Published: 01/26/05 Updated: 03/03/05

1. The Train by Keltoi

2. The Angel by Keltoi

3. Ways and Means by Keltoi

4. Swish and Flick by Keltoi

5. Chapter 5 - Walking and talking by Keltoi

6. The Wronski Feint by Keltoi

7. A pair of bright green boxer shorts by Keltoi

8. Cruciatus by Keltoi

The Train by Keltoi
Minor edits 3rd Feb


Thanks to JKR for creating the potterverse and for letting us play in it. Thanks also to my betas – Cryst Malfoy and Ron Weasley.

This story starts at the end of OotP, as Harry leaves the train station.

"I Just Wanted You to Know"

Chapter 1 - The Train

Ron and Hermione watched Harry leave the station with the Dursleys. Moody, Tonks, and Lupin followed them from the station to make sure the Dursleys got the message about how Harry should be treated.

Ginny was busy sorting enormous piles of luggage - Fred and George hadn't thought to take their trunks with them when they'd made their dramatic exit from Hogwarts, and she'd been left to deal with their belongings. She wasn't about to open the boxes they'd left behind, so they'd all been magically bound together and loaded into the train's luggage car. Hermione's parents stood chatting to Ron's, although the tone was somewhat strained - their children had barely survived the conflict at the Department of Mysteries, and the Grangers were having doubts about the wisdom of continuing Hermione's magical education at Hogwarts.

Platform nine and three-quarters was suddenly enveloped in steam as the Hogwarts locomotive let go.

"We'll see him soon, don't worry," assured Ron to Hermione.

"I suppose so," she replied. "I am worried that he's more vulnerable than everybody thinks. There are only so many magical guards you can have in the muggle world without attracting suspicion. I wonder what Dumbledore's going to do this time."

"I don't know, there's just not much we can do about it. I'll be locked in the cellar if I try to get to him this summer. We'll just have to wait until Dumbledore lets him come to stay - it'll only be a couple of weeks."

"That's what I'm worried about. The Death Eaters will be after him and he's so far away from everyone else!"

"I doubt it. The ones that weren't captured are lying low again, and they won't do anything without instructions from You-Know-Who. It must have been a shock for them to lose so many at the Department."

Ron fell silent as he remembered that Sirius was one of those lost. His leg still ached slightly where it had been broken. Sirius was someone he wouldn't ever forget.

Hermione's thoughts also turned to the aftermath of the conflict, and her own reflections since then about friends, death, betrayal, and pain.

One morning in the hospital she'd woken to a blinding revelation - encounters with Voldemort and Death Eaters, Sirius - she missed him terribly and could only imagine how Harry was feeling about it - Lupin's courage in the face of his lifelong affliction, Pettigrew, the constant taunts of Malfoy and those other idiots from Slytherin, as well as Snape. She was fed up. There were going to be some changes, starting with herself. Cleverest witch she may be, but she'd also realised that she was tired of waiting, tired of reacting to events instead of taking charge and MAKING THINGS HAPPEN! Her studies were important, but now she'd demand equal time for herself.

She braced herself for the question she'd been planning. "So, what are you up to during the holidays?" she asked.

"Not much. How about you?"

He is so infuriating. Couldn't he take a hint? she thought.

"I'm going to catch up on the classes I missed while I was in hospital." This was only partly true. She intended to spend much of the holidays studying, but only if Ron didn't ask her to come and stay at his house.

Ron gave her a strange look. Why would anyone want to study during summer holidays? "Hermione, give it a rest, no-one else is thinking about classes, not after everything that's happened."

"It's more important than ever before, Ron. Can't you see that?"

She'd just pressed the wrong button. "I can see that you think your bloody classes are more important than Harry and the rest of us!" Ron replied angrily.

Hermione was shocked. After all they'd been through...she only wanted to make sure they were as well prepared as possible. For heaven's sake, there were still Death Eaters on the loose! Her own temper flared.

"I suppose you're going to spend the summer following Quidditch matches and being a guinea pig for Fred and George's latest inventions. What's the matter, Ron? Not enough excitement for you in Voldemort's plans?"

Ron jumped at the mention of the dark lord's name. "Well, if that's how you feel about it, I'll see you here next term when the train's ready to leave for Hogwarts!" he shouted. "Have a nice holiday,” he said bitterly and stormed off, pulling his trunk from the bottom of the pile Ginny had just finished. It tottered for a moment, and then collapsed, spilling boxes of potential mayhem all over the platform.

Hermione's eyes filled with tears. This wasn't what she'd wanted to happen, not at all. She'd anticipated him asking nervously whether she wanted to come and spend the holidays with him at The Burrow, her eager response, perhaps a parting kiss, then a joyful few weeks of time spent with each other... instead she watched Ron angrily walk away, dragging his trunk through the gate and disappearing in the crowd.

Ginny was rounding up the luggage when she noticed Hermione standing alone, crying quietly. She gave up the hunt and walked over to stand beside her friend. "Not another fight, Hermione?" she asked.

"I wanted to (hic) tell him how much I (hic)..." Hermione sobbed and threw her arms around Ginny.

She waited until her friend's breathing had calmed a little, then asked: "Well, what are you going to do about it?"

Hermione drew back and spoke. "I need to talk to him, but now he doesn't want to see me until school starts again."

"What?" Ginny was certain that Ron had planned to ask Hermione to stay for the holidays, and she'd been looking forward to spending some time with a girl near her own age. Well, Ron wasn't going to get in her way. She'd had enough of six older brothers and no girlfriends during summer break. "Hermione, would you like to come and stay with me this summer?"

Hermione looked up, startled. "Do you mean it? I mean, do you really want me to come?"

Ginny smiled. She might not end up spending much time with Hermione, but Ron would, she was certain. "You bet. Go and ask your parents, I'm sure they'll say it's OK."

"Wh-what about Ron?"

Ginny's eyes twinkled with impish glee. "He'll just have to put up with you, won't he?"
The Angel by Keltoi
Chapter 2 - The Angel

One week later at the Burrow, after breakfast, Mrs. Weasley wasted no time giving Ron extra chores.

"Hermione's going be here before lunch, so you, Ginny, tidy your room and make up the extra bed,” she commanded. “Ron, you know Hermione will bring her schoolbooks, so clear out the cupboard under the stairs, and make room for her trunks. Heaven knows what Fred and George have stored there, so don't open any boxes. I won't have their tricks going off all over the place again."

Ron laughed as he remembered the last time a box of Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes had “accidentally” been opened. The lounge wall was still displaying a vivid advertisement of jokes, fake wands, and cursed cakes. Mrs. Weasley hadn't been able to remove it, and Mr. Weasley wasn't inclined to. Despite the “low” nature of their chosen profession, he was very proud of their success—and even more proud of their income. Mrs. Weasley couldn't bring herself to approve it openly, but she didn't refuse the gifts of clothing and furniture either.

The thought of Hermione's arrival brought Ron back to Earth. He'd regretted their argument since arriving home and his temper had cooled. Ever since Ginny had told him that Hermione was coming to stay—as her guest—Ron was in turmoil.

What's she going to think of me? he thought. Ron, you're an idiot. She was only being herself, and you had to stomp on her like that. Why did she have to bring up her bloody classes?

He'd been set to ask her to stay until her mention of studies and classes had sucked away his shaky confidence like a Dementor's kiss. Then you had to go and be nasty to her, a voice inside him bellowed. Why did he always act like such a prat when she was around?

***


It was eleven in the morning and Ron was in his room, wiping away the sweat from his forehead. She should have been there by now, and he hadn't spoken to her since leaving the train station. Her parents sent a letter to the Weasleys, thanking them for agreeing to let Hermione stay for the rest of the summer holiday. In truth, the Grangers were very grateful that their daughter stayed in a place protected by continuous magical supervision.

"Ron, get down here!" Mrs. Weasley shouted, her voice carrying up from the kitchen. "Hermione's at the door and Tonks is here, too!"

Ron raced out of his room, and made a flying leap down the stairs. His hand grabbed the banister post, swinging him around on the second-floor landing, and he arrived on the ground floor before Mrs. Weasley could draw another breath to call his name again.

"I wish you'd come that quickly every time I call you." Mrs. Weasley’s eyes twinkled as Ron ran past her to open the front door.

He stopped at the door, smoothed his hair, tucked in his shirt, quickly sniffed around himself, reached his hand out to turn the handle, and opened the door.

"Hi!" his voice cracked . He thought he was having some kind of ecstatic vision—there was an angel standing on the doorstep.

"Hello, Ron," Hermione smiled. "Sorry we're late."

"That's my fault," added Tonks. "I insisted that we go shopping and do some girly stuff before we came over."

Girly stuff? Ron thought.

To him, it must have included a visit to a hairdresser. Hermione's hair wasn't all bushy, like usual. Instead it fell in sleek soft waves over her bare shoulders.

Her shoulders? screeched a voice inside his mind.

Ron had never seen them before. His eyes followed the line of her arms upward towards her neck. She was wearing a floral print summer dress that seemed to be holding itself up. There weren't any shoulder straps or anything. Her skin glowed in the sunlight. His eyes continued upwards to her face, and his jaw dropped. She was wearing makeup—some very subtle lipstick and eyeliner, but Ron wasn't aware of the details. It was a whole look he'd never seen before.

Going by that reaction, Hermione thought, Tonks' beauty advice was worth the time and money I've just spent.

"C—come in," Ron stammered. Hermione smiled again. "Where's your trunk?"

"They'll be here later," she replied. "I didn't want to drag it all over the place while we shopped. There are only these for now." She indicated a half-dozen boxes and bags behind Tonks. They were all imprinted with famous logos. Ron could only surmise how many outfits they contained, but if she looked half as good wearing them as she did in the dress she was wearing now, he looked forward to the fashion parade.

Ron carried the boxes and bags inside, where Mrs. Wealey stood waiting. Hermione was enveloped in a "Molly Weasley special" hug, greeted like a long-lost member of the family. Fred and George stood nearby grinning, and Ginny waited her turn to give her guest a welcome hug. Ron started to feel left out when Hermione turned to him, smiling. Her eyes were wet.

Oh, no, he thought, she's going to start crying again.

But she didn't. She simply walked to Ron, stretched her arms around him and hugged him tight. She didn't say anything.

Mrs. Weasley broke the spell. "Come and sit down, you two. There's a pot of tea ready. Fred, George, take those packages and don't you dare open them." Molly's voice held a note that Fred and George knew from the past. This wasn't any kind of normal warning, and they knew Hermione's shopping bags were off limits.

Tonks removed her travelling cloak and sat down, responding, "Tea would be lovely, thanks. How about you, Hermione?"

"Yes, please," she replied. A cup of tea was way down the list at the moment, but Ron would have to wait. After all, they had at least a week before Harry turned up.

Ron was sent to the kitchen to fetch the tea.

Why do I have to get it, he wondered.

That moment of greeting her at the door was etched on a canvas in his mind. Her hair! That dress! He pictured the two of them walking along a path that ran passed the Burrow. She wore the dress, and her hair gently floated in the air, her hand was in his, and they talked about...

"Ronald!" His reverie was shattered by Mrs. Weasley’s voice calling from the lounge. "Whatever are you doing? Hurry up with the tea. Our guests must be parched!" Ron quickly placed the teapot and cups on a tray, and carried them out to the lounge.

He placed the tray on the table, then deliberately walked over to Hermione and sat down beside her. Mrs. Weasley gave him an exasperated look, and then set about pouring tea for everyone.

"Tell me dear, how are you? Have you recovered fully from that awful spell?" Mrs. Weasley had no tact.

"Yes, thanks, Mrs. Weasley." Hermione didn't really want to talk about it right now—not to her, anyway. She hadn't finished dealing with her emotions about the incidents at the Department of Mysteries, and her parents, while sympathetic and suitably worried, weren't the ones to help. The sooner she could be alone with Ron, the better.

"It must have been terrible, I mean, a girl your age having to deal with those terrible Death Eaters. What's happened to them, Nymphadora?"

Tonks' mood turned grim. "Most of them have been sent back to Azkaban, but there's not much point now, not with the Dementors out of Ministry’s control. Molly, I'm sure Hermione would rather talk about something else. What's been happening at the Burrow? How's the joke shop coming along?" She turned to Fred and George, proudly wearing their business suits of scaly green dragonhide.

"Couldn't be better!" they cried in unison. Fred continued, "The galleons are rolling in, we really should send a thank you note and a box of free samples to Umbridge."

"If we'd known it was this easy," George added, "we'd have left school ages ago." Molly scowled. She still had trouble adjusting to her twin black sheep. "Come and visit us soon, Tonks, we've some tricks you might be able to use."

Tonks laughed and said, "What could an Auror do with your Canary Creams, then?"

"Come and see for yourself," Fred replied. He wasn't willing to go into details in front of his mother, but they'd recently decided to expand into some more serious lines of fake magical apparati. George winked at Tonks, and she grinned back.

"How about you get settled, Hermione? I'm sure you and Ginny have loads to talk about." Tonks' eyes glittered merrily as she watched Ron's reaction. Ginny sniggered.

Ron moved quickly to take charge of the situation. "I'll help you get these things upstairs," he offered, standing, and placing his hands protectively on the parcels. He gathered them up, and moved to the stairs. Hermione stood, and spoke to Mrs. Weasley "Thanks for the tea, Mrs. Weasley. And thanks for having me here." She hugged Mrs. Weasley again, and turned to follow Ron.

"You run along and help them, Ginny. I want to talk to Nymphadora." Mrs. Weasley didn't see Ginny's eyes turn upwards. Ginny walked obediently towards the stairs, but suddenly found a reason to continue into the kitchen instead.

Ron put the parcels down when he reached Ginny's room. He turned just in time for Hermione to reach out and grab him in a bear hug.

"Oh, Ron, I've missed you so much," she cried, and held him tight.

"Hermione, I'm so sorry about what happened last week. I wanted to send you an owl, but I didn't know whether…"

"Its okay, I'm here now."

She deliberately didn’t send any letters, having realised as soon as she'd got home from the station that it would be a good time for some separation and reflection. It was possible she was only reacting to the events at the Department of Mysteries, and the argument with Ron at the station that day was both of them just letting off steam—but she'd been miserable all week since, and it hadn't altered her feelings a bit. She was where she wanted to be; with Ron.

"What's in the parcels?" he asked. "Your dress is a knockout. When can I see the rest of them?"

"Tonks made me buy seven different outfits, so you'll see one every day this week." She smiled and opened the door, and then turned around, suddenly nervous. "Do you really like this dress?"

"Like it? Bloody hell, you're so beautiful, I just want to..." he faltered, then picked up the parcels and carried them into the room.

"Shoo," she told him when they were inside. "I want to unpack these now, but you'll have to wait to see them all." She smiled and hugged him again. Ron didn't want to leave. Every private moment was precious, and he still didn't know what would happen over the coming weeks. He sighed.

"I suppose I'll have to kiss you before you'll go, won't I?" she said, smiling. Her eyes sparkled at Ron's startled reaction. She kissed him briefly on the cheek. "Now go away before Ginny gets here." Ron grinned and left, quietly closing the door.
Ways and Means by Keltoi
Chapter 3 - Ways and Means

Ron started to climb the stairs to his room when he overheard Mrs. Weasley and Tonks talking in the lounge room. He crept downstairs quietly to listen.

"I don't know about this,” he heard his mother’s voice slightly tremble. Mrs. Weasley was worried about something. Tonks had been trying to convince her that Ron and Hermione would be safe if they went for a walk together.

"I'll be keeping an eye on them, Molly. Remus, Alastor and I have been told not to let them out of sight until they're back at Hogwarts. Moody's on watch at Harry's place, I'm here for a few days, and Remus is having a rest. It's full moon tonight, so he'll be out of action for a few days, but Shacklebolt's on standby and Dumbledore's managed to convince the Ministry to let your Arthur take a few weeks off work. Between us and the rest of the order, no Death Eater is going to get close."

"I suppose it's alright then - but promise me you won't let them give you the slip."

"They won't. I have my ways and means, you know." Tonks smiled reassuringly at Mrs. Weasley , then stood up. "Where's my digs, then?" she asked cheerfully.

"You'll be in Charlie's old room. It's upstairs, then turn left - it's right opposite Ginny's room, and Ron's in the attic room, so you'll be close to them. I'll show you." Mrs. Weasley stood and led Tonks up the stairs.

Ron darted up the stairs to his room, quietly closed the door, and sat on his bed. So Tonks had ways and means, did she? He thought. He had no idea what she meant, but at least it sounded like he and Hermione could get away from the house, away from Extendable Ears, away from Fred and George, from Ginny, and especially from his mother. Now if only Tonks could be persuaded to stop somewhere along the way during their walk and have a rest, or tie a bootlace, smell the roses, anything. He started to plan his escape.

***

Ginny tiptoed to her door and listened. She could hear her mother and Tonks across the hall in Charlie's room, discussing activities for the week. She giggled when she overheard her mother proposing all sorts of 'family fun' activities that Hermione could join. As if! She brought her attention back to her own door, and heard no voices from inside the room. She knocked gently and opened the door.

Whew! Ron wasn't there. Hermione was opening her parcels, laying her new clothes on the bed. She looked up and smiled at Ginny.

"Hey, there! Come and help me with this stuff. I've never had so many new clothes at one time. We had to venture out into muggle London for some of them - we couldn't find many really nice clothes in Diagon Alley, it's all witches' and wizards' robes - nothing you'd want to wear out with your friends."

Hermione pulled out a small parcel and handed it to Ginny. "This is for you - I'm really grateful that you've asked me to stay here with you."

Ginny sat on her bed with her eyes glowing. She was so happy to be developing a friendship with Hermione - there weren't many other girls living nearby that were close to her own age, and none at all with whom she could share her magical world. A girl with six older brothers and no sisters was definitely at a disadvantage, socially speaking. The parcel was gift-wrapped in glowing white cloud-paper, a magical tissue so light that it was difficult to hold, let alone wrap presents with - it kept trying to float away. Ginny touched the seal and the paper wafted away in the air. Her hands held a vivid green shawl of glow-worm silk. The colour shimmered as she ran her hands across the material, her fingertips leaving glowing traces of pearly white that faded slowly back to green.

"It just cried out to me when I saw it,” Hermione laughed. " 'Ginny needs me' it said, so I bought it for you."

Ginny wrapped the shawl around her shoulders. "Oh, wait 'til I show mum. Thanks ever so much, Hermione - it's beautiful."

Hermione smiled gaily and spoke: "It suits you so well - I knew it was meant for you." She continued unpacking her purchases as Ginny preened in front of the mirror.

"How are you and Ron going get some time alone?" Ginny asked.

"I don't know - but Tonks told me that she'll try to help." Hermione paused. "How has he been, Ginny? He hasn't written or anything... but then I suppose he thought I didn't want to talk to him, either."

Ginny was exasperated, but not surprised. Ron had to be prodded firmly to take any action regarding Hermione, and avoiding the issue by doing nothing about it for a week had been the easiest option for him. No wonder Hermione was still doubtful about his feelings for her. It had been obvious for the last week that he was miserable, but he hadn't taken any of Ginny's hints that he should contact Hermione, if only to say 'sorry'.

"I'm sure he'll want to talk to you, now that you're here. Did you see his reaction when he saw you at the door?" Ginny giggled.

"Yes, I think Tonks' advice was well worth it. She wouldn't let me come here until we'd been to a dozen shops, then I had to get my hair done, too."

"It looks fabulous - how did you get it to behave?"

"It took some doing, I can tell you. None of the Muggle hairdressers could make it stay put, so we went back to Diagon Alley and charmed it into submission. I don't suppose it will stay this way, though - but at least I know how to make it look like this again."

"Good. Now show me your new clothes." Hermione picked up the nearest parcel and proceeded to tell Ginny about the shopping trip.
Swish and Flick by Keltoi
Hermione looked at her watch. It was just after twelve. "I'm starving. What time is lunch, Ginny?" she asked.

"Oh, usually about twelve-thirty or one o'clock,” Ginny answered. “Mum will start yelling for help any time now, but I think I'll go and show her this shawl before anyone else sees it. See you later." Ginny left the room and went downstairs.

Hermione put away the last of the new clothes then left the room, and tip-toed upstairs to the attic. She made up her mind. Ron's door was closed, and she tapped on it softly. Her hand was trembling.

"Come in,” Ron called. She opened the door and walked in, closing it quickly behind her. He was sitting on his bed, trying to figure out how to apologise properly to her.

He stood, but not for long. Hermione ran and bowled him over onto the bed. Her weight on top of him was a startling, sensuous pleasure, and he responded to her kiss with his own eagerness.

She finally drew back and sat upright, holding his face between her hands, then spoke.

"I haven't stopped thinking about you. I've been so confused, not knowing how you felt about me - and I just wanted you to know how I feel about you."

"I...I'm sorry. I should have written to you - you gave me such a surprise at the station that I lost my temper and couldn't tell you then..." He screwed up his courage. "Hermione, I've loved you for ages, but I didn't know whether you... and then we had that bloody fight."

"Yes, it was silly." Her eyes became mischievous. "Especially when I was right."

She laughed as Ron began to get angry, then he got the joke and started laughing, too.

"Hermione Granger, if you ever question my judgement again, I'll...I'll stop helping you with your homework!"

They both roared with laughter, relieved that the distance and discomfort between them had gone.

Ron reached for her hand and asked "So, what are we going to do this week?"

"Tonks and I talked on the way here. She's going to convince your mother to let us out for a walk - around the lounge room."

Ron laughed again. "I overheard Tonks and mum in the lounge - Tonks reckons she can keep us under surveillance - but that won't be much fun."

"I know, but Tonks has plans to get us some private time."

"Well, what is it? She's hardly going to let us run off without some sort of guard."

"You know that mirror Sirius gave Harry - the one he could call him with?" Ron nodded. "She's got one for each of us - that way we can lose her behind a tree or hill or something, and she'll still be in close contact if we need help."

"Wicked! Do you suppose we could go out this afternoon, after lunch? There's a nice walk down to a field where we go to practice flying - it's protected from Muggles, so we won't be disturbed."

"That sounds really nice, Ron. I'd love to go - only, you won't bring your broom, will you?"

They both started laughing again.

***

After lunch, Ginny and Ron were given their usual jobs of cleaning up.

Ron knew what he had to do. He finished his jobs, then joined the others in the lounge. "Hermione and I are going for a walk. Tonks, would you like to come and see our flying field?"

Mrs. Weasley was about to launch into "protective parent" mode and object to this outing when Tonks interceded.

"Sure. I don't think Molly wants us in her way this afternoon, do you, Molly?"

Ron's mother frowned, but she knew her son would sneak out anyway, whether she liked it or not. "You two be careful, then. And Tonks, remember what we talked about!"

"We'll be fine, Molly. I'll tell Shacklebolt before we go, and you can send an owl to Dumbledore, if you like." Tonks was feeling a bit over-protected, herself - but Mrs. Weasley 's insistence on precautions was only being sensible. Ron was her son, after all.

Hermione smiled, and Ron started to feel cheerful again. "See you in five minutes,” he said to Hermione, then he sprinted up to his room to get ready.

It was thirty minutes later, in the lounge room again, when he heard Hermione and Tonks come down the stairs.

"What have you been..." his voice faded when he saw another vision. Hermione was wearing one of her new outfits. He stood and stared at her.

She wore a new pair of Docs, then a pale blue linen knee-length skirt that rested on her hips - she had a navel, too! She also wore an off-shoulder peasant blouse of raw silk, and that hair again!

"Where did you....?" his voice faded as he compared his own clothes - joggers, jeans, and a t-shirt. At least the t-shirt had a Chudley Cannons logo.

"Never you mind." Hermione smiled at his response. "Let's go, shall we?"

"Oh, Ron - have you got your wand?" Tonks asked.

"Yes,” Ron replied, exasperated. "Mum won't let me go to the toilet without it,” He pulled it from his back pocket and waved it around like a conductor's baton.

Hermione giggled. "It's swish and flick, Ron. Win-gar-dium levi-o-sa!
Tonks laughed and Ron grinned. "Never could get that one right,” he said.

"Let's go,” said Hermione. They opened the door and walked out.

The afternoon sun illuminated the trees and grass of the countryside in rich hues of green, yellow, and brown. Hermione, Ron, and Tonks walked together towards the "private" flying field that Ron and his brothers (and sister) used during the holidays to practice their broom flying skills.

Tonks stopped when they were out of sight of The Burrow. "Now, you two,” she began. "I'll do what I can to give you some time together, but you mustn’t try to slip away from me entirely. Here," she said, handing them each a small, wooden-framed mirror. "These will let you call me if anything happens. I'll be over there, talking to that oak tree,”

Ron and Hermione grinned, then ran together towards the hedge surrounding the practice field.
Chapter 5 - Walking and talking by Keltoi
They raced towards the stile at the end of the field. Hermione's hair was flying in the wind. Ron beat her to the edge, but he stopped and extended his hand to assist her.

She stepped over, and he followed to stand beside her. "This," he said proudly, "is where I learned to dodge Bludgers." He laughed, adding, "And where Fred and George learned to hit me with them.”

Hermione smiled. She was thrilled that Ron wanted to share this part of his life with her. "When did you start to practice Quidditch here?" she asked.

"Oh, years ago, only it wasn't Quidditch practice then. I thought it was just a ball game that everyone played. I couldn't understand why I had to be the target every time." He sat down on the grass. "It seems so far away now. Quidditch doesn't seem so exciting, after...you know."

"Oh, Ron, don't give it up now." She sat beside him, reaching for his hand. "Ginny told me you're getting really good at it, and after the way you played this past year, you're going to be one of the best!"

He turned his face and looked into her eyes. "D'you really think so? I'll never be as good as Harry—not that I mind that. He's the best Seeker that Fred and George have ever seen, and we need someone like him to keep those Slytherin gits in their place." He took a slight pause, and then continued. "I'm not sure I want to keep playing Quidditch, anyway. I don't know...it all seems so...pointless now."

"Why? We all need something like Quidditch to keep our spirits up after...everything that happened at the Department." There. She said it. Now she braced herself for what was to come.

Ron slumped as he remembered that day. The scars on his arms were fading, but the scars on his spirit would be there forever. "Hermione...” he began, but fell silent.

"Yes, Ron?"

"Hermione...I...I was so scared you wouldn't make it. That spell—Neville told me it just knocked you out solid. I can only remember parts of what happened. I wasn't myself, and that damn spell had me giggling and carrying on, and then those...brains attacked me. I didn't even realise until afterwards how badly you'd been hit." Ron shivered, and his breathing became jerky, gasping.

Her heart melted. She knew Ron and Harry cared for her, but Ron had never shown her this side of his feelings. Tears spilled from her eyes as she reached out and held Ron close with his head on her shoulder.

She was still holding him when Tonks called some time later from beyond the hedge. "Oy! Ron, Hermione! Where are you? We'd better get going!"

Ron lifted his head and looked into Hermione's eyes. "Thanks. I really needed to talk about that stuff."

She gazed back into his eyes. "Me, too. We'll talk some more. There are some things I need to get straightened out. Can we come here tomorrow and bring your broom? I'd like to see you fly."

"Sure. Maybe you can throw a Bludger at me." He smiled, his whole face lighting up in that way that made her feel...well, special.

Her heart thumped, and she said, "I'll blow a kiss at you. Just try and dodge that."

On the way back, Tonks told them about the oak. "It's quite young,” she stated. “I spoke to the tree sprite living in it, and she said it was planted when Arthur and Molly were first married. There's other oak trees nearby that are much older, but she told me that their sprites won't talk to her until her tree's at least a hundred years old. They have their own kind of snobbery about things, I suppose. She's been worried about all the magic around lately. She said that her tree can perceive magical energy much more clearly than the older ones, and it talks to her about it." Tonks paused. "There seems to be more magic around here than usual, but that's probably just you two, me and Ginny being here for the holidays."

They walked slowly back to The Burrow, chatting excitedly about plans for the rest of the holidays. Tonks told them there was a meeting of the Order scheduled that evening. "You two are specifically invited."

"What did mum say? She'll never let us go. 'We're too young',” Ron said sadly.

"Dumbledore sent her an owl requesting your presence, and he's coming here personally to collect you,” Tonks replied. "Molly was impressed enough not to object."

"What's it about? The meeting, I mean,” asked Hermione. She didn't think there was anything she and Ron could offer. They weren't likely to be given any jobs to do for the Order. Maybe they just wanted as many members as possible to attend, and it would be better to have them nearby under protection rather than pull Tonks off guard duty for the evening.

"I'm not sure, but I think Dumbledore wants to discuss plans for Harry's protection. He was shocked and upset that Hogwarts was infiltrated by Crouch Jr. during the Triwizard Tournament, and then Umbridge's interference last year, and Moody has everyone feeling paranoid as well. Heaven knows I have every respect for old Alastor, but he gets on my nerves after a while. You can't think straight after hearing 'CONSTANT VIGILANCE!' for the tenth time in twenty minutes."

They continued back to The Burrow. Hermione's school trunk had arrived in their absence, and her eyes brightened when she saw it in the kitchen. Ron groaned.

Hermione grinned. "I did tell you I wanted to catch up, but I promise I'll keep it to one hour a day, okay?"

"I suppose so." Ron knew he had a choice: spend an hour with Hermione and study or spend an hour without Hermione.

"D'you think you could help me catch up, too?" he asked shyly.

She beamed. "I was hoping you'd ask. We'll need this…and this…these two…and that one as well." Hermione handed the texts to Ron. "Can you take them upstairs to your room? I'll be up in a moment." Ron heaved the books and started off as Hermione spelled her trunks into the cupboard under the stairs.

"Now," she said enthusiastically as she joined him in his room, "we really should work on our DA spells. You can try the Stunning Spell on me and we'll see how it goes."

"Hey?" Ron asked startled. "What happened to catching up on classes?"

"I'd call this catching up, wouldn't you? I didn't really want your mother to hear that we'd be practising DA stuff, so I used this as a cover." She pointed her wand at the books Ron had brought upstairs.

"All right,” said Ron happily. "Uh, what's the counter-curse for that, anyway?"

Hermione grinned, and they got to work.

***

After dinner, Mrs. Weasley bustled about, tidying the house for Dumbledore's arrival. Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Tonks quickly exited to the front garden, laughing as spells began flashing about inside the house. Dust gathered above the rugs, and flowed in a steady stream out the back door. Dinner dishes flew to the cupboard from the sink as they were washed and dried by brushes and towels dancing around busily as if held by invisible hands. Feather dusters and washcloths moved swiftly by themselves over the furniture as Mrs. Weasley stood in the centre of it all. Her wand waved frantically as she kept track of everything.

Suddenly there was a flash of light, and Dumbledore appeared on the doorstep. His robes billowed in the gust of disturbed air.

"Hello, Professor!" Hermione ran to greet him.

"Hello, Miss Granger. Hello, Mr. Weasley, Miss Weasley. Nymphadora, what are you all doing out here?"

"Avoiding mum,” Ron replied. "You'd better not go in just yet. She'll give you a job sweeping the floor or something."

"I'm sure that your mother would regret assigning any housekeeping chores to me." His eyes twinkled as a tiny smile creased his mouth. "Perhaps you'd better announce me." He indicated the door, and Ron walked through to tell his mother.

Seconds later, Mrs. Weasley ran through the door, brimming with joy and nerves that Albus Dumbledore had arrived at The Burrow.

"Professor Dumbledore, how nice to see you! Won't you please come in?" she asked. "Oh, come back in, you lot," she said, indicating to the others. "Don't just stand there, Professor Dumbledore needs a cup of tea. Hermione, dear, would you see to the kettle?" Mrs. Weasley bustled about, leading Dumbledore into the house. Tonks brought up the rear rolling her eyes.

"Now then, Professor, would you like something to eat? You must be such a busy man. Have you even had time for a decent meal these past weeks?"

"I assure you, Molly, I've had no shortage of home cooking from every wizarding family I've visited recently." He paused and sat down. "But I understand from your children that mince pies are one of your specialties."

Mrs. Weasley blushed as she digested this compliment. "Of course, Professor. GINNY!"

"Yes, mum. What is it?" Ginny asked, standing right behind her mother.

"Oh, there you are. Fetch a plate of pies for us, dear, and ask Ron what's keeping the tea. Now, Professor, are you comfortable? Nymphadora, pass that cushion to Professor Dumbledore."

"I'm perfectly comfortable, Molly, thank you. I regret that my visit here must be a short one. What I really require is your permission for Ron and Hermione to attend a meeting of the Order tonight."

Mrs. Weasley's mood faltered, but she smiled bravely. "I'm sure that you'll look after them, but what could they..."

"I wish to discuss their role in Harry's care this coming year. They're his closest friends, and that friendship is vital to Harry's well-being." Dumbledore paused. "The loss of his godfather and the revelation of the prophecy concerning him and Voldemort have affected him deeply. He will need all the help and support we can give him. Ron and Hermione should know what they're likely to encounter in Harry in the next few months, and I hope to prepare them for that."

"Is he...going to be alright?"

"His welfare is the sole subject of tonight's meeting, Molly. We cannot allow him to be overtaken by grief and depression. All the members of the Order have expressed their sincere wishes for his recovery."

"Yeah, except Snape, I'll bet," Ron added quietly, joining the group in the lounge.

"Professor Snape has a more dangerous task than any other member of the Order, Ron,” Dumbledore replied. "He deserves your consideration for that."

"Why's he so mean to Harry, then? And Hermione?"

"You should be able to see that for yourself, Ron,” answered Dumbledore quietly.

Ron was silent, chastened by Dumbledore's mild words.

Hermione spoke up, "Can't you ask him to lay off Harry, just a little? I mean, if it's Harry's well-being you're concerned about, then Professor Snape's just one more reason to be depressed!"

"That is one of the issues that Harry must learn to deal with himself, and your support and strength is vital,” Dumbledore replied, not unkindly. "Now, are you ready to accompany me to Grimmauld Place?"

Dumbledore held out an old sock, indicating that that Ron, Hermione, and Tonks should each take hold. The familiar wrenching of a Portkey took hold of them, and they disappeared in a flash of light.
The Wronski Feint by Keltoi
"How much should we tell Harry?" asked Ron the next day. Ron was carrying each box of supplies for Fred and George's shop from the cupboard under the stairs to the lounge, not willing to risk any kind of spell to shift them, and Hermione was helping to stack them. The twins were due to arrive later to collect them.

"Professor Dumbledore was perfectly clear - he's left it up to us,” Hermione said. “I think we should get him talking about it as soon as possible. You know what Harry's like, he'll bottle it up until it's too late, then there'll be an even bigger mess to deal with."

"Maybe he doesn't want to talk about it."

"That's what he thinks. He always gets moody and depressed about things, and then we have to pry it out of him instead of talking to us at the start, or telling someone else who might be able to help. If only he'd waited to talk to someone else, Sirius might still be alive." Hermione stopped, horrified at what she'd just said. Ron had dropped a parcel, and was staring at her.

"Oh, Ron - that was a terrible thing to say, I'm so sorry!"

"Just don't ever let Harry hear you say that,” he said grimly. She would have to watch her mouth.

She was right, though. Sirius hadn't even come to the Department until after they'd been cornered by Lucius Malfoy and the others.

"It's all right, Hermione. Let's just wait 'til he gets here, and take our cue from him."

"Yes, that's probably best. What's that leaking out the box?" She pointed to a thick green slime that was oozing from the box Ron had dropped.

"Oh, no - they'll kill me. It's probably harmless - mostly."

Hermione took out her wand. "Reparo!" she shouted, and the slime oozed reluctantly back into the box. Ron picked up the box, and placed in gingerly next to the others.

"How about a walk down to the field then? Want to see me practice the Wronski Feint?"

Hermione smiled. "I'll just go and tell Tonks. See you in a minute." She ran upstairs.

A minute - not enough time to change into a new outfit. Hermione was in her “grubbies”, not wanting to risk any of her new clothes near boxes of unidentified Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes. Ron walked upstairs, and fetched his broomstick and the mirror Tonks had given him.

When he arrived back downstairs, his eyes bugged again. Hermione and Tonks laughed at his reaction. They had this one planned and ready to go. This time her hair was braided tightly in a French plait, and she was wearing...

Sandals, black dragon-hide jeans, and a white tank top with “It's magic” printed across the front.

Ron caught his breath as she twirled around. "What do you think?" she asked.

He sighed noisily, almost a groan. He wouldn't last the week if she kept this up. "It's just perfect. It's gorgeous – you're gorgeous."

Hermione blushed crimson, and smiled shyly. No-one had ever made compliments like that about her looks - except Victor. She quickly put a lid on that thought.

A noise at the window distracted them. Hedwig had landed on the sill, and was tapping impatiently on the glass. Ron opened the window and Hedwig flew straight at him, perching on his shoulder. A parchment was tied to his leg. Ron reached up and removed the letter, and Hedwig took off out the window again.

"It's from Harry,” he said excitedly, sitting down and unrolling the parchment. He read out loud,

Dear Ron,

I heard from Dumbledore last night. He said I can come to The Burrow next week! It can't happen soon enough. It's been better than usual here, but that's not saying much. My aunt and uncle have pretty much left me alone, scared of Mad-eye Moody I suppose, but Dudley is being his old self. Dumbledore's letter said that Hermione is staying with you too, and that we should talk about things, you know, work it all out.

I know in my head that Sirius is gone, but the rest of me haven’t caught up. I still keep looking around for a big black dog to come and knock me over, and lick me.

Dumbledore says the next year at school will be important for us all, and he wants us to continue our DA practice until he finds us a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher. None of Umbridge's decrees to stop us now!

That reminds me - now that I'm allowed to play Quidditch again, I'll need some practice. Do you think your mum will let us go down to your private pitch to do some flying? I'll bring the Firebolt and we can try each other's brooms for a bit of fun.

I'll see you next week - say 'Hi' to everyone for me, and tell your mum that the Dursleys are starving me!

See you soon, Harry


Ron lowered the parchment. "Poor bloke, having to put up with them every year. The sooner he can get out of there, the better he'll be."

"If it wasn't for You-Know-Who, he could be out of there now,” Tonks replied. "It’s unfortunate, but the existence of that home is one of his greatest defences. Let's not think about it. He'll be safe enough with Alastor hanging about. Don't tell anyone, but he's got hold of an Invisibility Cloak. He spends all night wandering the neighbourhood around the Dursleys’ place, pointing his wand at everyone he sees—wandering cats and dogs aren't safe, either!" Tonks laughed. "I shouldn't tell you this, but Dumbledore's put an incredible barrier of charms and shields around that house. He made me try to get past the front gate, once. I just fainted—no warning—and woke up streets away with my wand fizzing and sparking beside me. It doesn't seem to affect Harry or the Dursleys’, but they must be wondering why they don't get any visitors."

"Cool!" Ron was impressed. "What d'you suppose will happen after Harry comes here?"

"Oh, I think Dumbledore wants to keep the place protected. You-Know-Who wouldn't stop at destroying the house and killing anyone in it, if it meant weakening Harry's defences. He'll have to do something about their memories, though. Petunia would keep her mouth shut, but the other two will reach breaking point sooner or later and start blabbing. Not that anyone would believe them, but we don't want Muggles paying attention to our affairs, do we?"

"I should think not!" Hermione replied. "Well, shall we go?"

The three walked out the door and headed towards the flying field.

When they reached the field, Tonks and Hermione sat down to watch Ron practice his manoeuvres, occasionally launching Quaffles and Bludgers at him to help hone his skills.

"He's really quite good. It's just his confidence that needs work,” said Hermione.

"Why, what happens during the matches?"

"Oh, those slimy gits from Slytherin give him a hard time. 'Weasley is our king, he cannot save a thing' being chanted all through the match. It really affects him."

"I should think that a few victories will settle that. Nothing like a win to boost your confidence."

They watched Ron diving towards the ground, attempting to perfect a late pull-out manoeuvre.

"I should think so, that was a terrific save he..." Hermione stopped as Ron ploughed into the field, sending up dirt and clods of turf as if a bomb had hit.

"RON!" she screamed, running towards him. He was crumpled on the ground, the broomstick lying in pieces beyond the point of impact. His lower leg was at an odd angle, and he groaned as he tried to sit up. There was blood on his jeans. "Don't move, I think your leg's broken! TONKS!" she yelled.

"Right here. Don't move, Ron. I'll fetch help." Tonks pulled out her mirror, and called, "Kingsley, are you there?" The response came in seconds. A tiny voice emanated from the mirror Tonks was holding.

"What is it? An attack? How many? Where are you?"

"It's okay, Kingsley. Ron's had an accident. We need transportation to St Mungo's. I think he's broken his leg. Can you organise some help for us?"

"Will do. Are you safe? There's nothing suspicious about it?"

"No, no, he was practising on his broom, and didn't pull out of a dive in time. We're in a protected field near The Burrow, Ottery St. Catchpole. Better send a Portkey for Ron."

"Okay. They should be there in a few minutes."

Ron groaned again as he tried to move.

"I said DON'T MOVE, Ron!” Hermione told him fiercely. "We'll have you at the hospital soon." She moved behind him to cradle his head in her lap, helping him to straighten up a little. She started to cry.

"Hey, it's alright, Hermione. They'll fix him up at the hospital, and he'll be as good as new before you know it,” Tonks reassured her.

Hermione sniffed. "You gave me such a fright, Ron. Don't ever do that again."

He looked up into her eyes. "I guess we won't be going walking for a while. You'll have to be my nurse instead." He grinned as she blushed.

"Don't think I'm going to fetch and carry for you. Your mother wouldn't let me, anyway. I think some study will help you recover. Think of me as your teacher while you're convalescing." Ron's grin vanished.

"No! Anything but that! I'll be good, I promise." That brought a laugh from Hermione.

A Healer and his assistant from St. Mungo's apparated at the end of the field, and Tonks hailed them over.

"What seems to be the trouble? Broken, is it?" the Healer asked, kneeling and gently prodding Ron's leg through his jeans.

"Arrrgghhh!" Ron cried. "Yes, it bloody well is broken! You don't have to twist it off to make sure!"

"Sorry." The Healer pointed his wand at Ron, and called "Numbellium! Right-o. We'll splint it here, and then take you off to St. Mungo's for a full checkout." The Healer waved his wand over Ron's leg, and muttered "Alignium swatheus!" The leg straightened, and splints and bandages flew from the Healer's bag, winding themselves around Ron's leg.

"Hermione, I'll have to go with him,” Tonks said. "Shacklebolt will take over here soon, and you can come to the hospital later."

"No! I want go with Ron!” she cried.

"Please, Hermione. You'll have to tell Molly what's happened. She'll want to be with Ron, and you can come with her. It won't take long. I'll bet you and Molly arrive before we do." Tonks smiled reassuringly.

Hermione sighed, and looked down in to Ron's eyes. "I'll see you soon.” She leaned over and kissed his forehead. "Just you do what you're told, or I'll..." she stopped, her breath catching on a sob.

The Healer produced a Muggle stethoscope. "Fits the bill, doesn't it? Now take hold, and we'll be at the hospital before you can say 'Quidditch'." Ron reached out, and they disappeared in a flash of light.
A pair of bright green boxer shorts by Keltoi
Hermione ran back to The Burrow, calling for Mrs. Weasley as she reached the foyer.

"What is it, dear?" Her expression fell as she saw Hermione breathing hard from her run.

"It's all right, Mrs. Weasley, they've taken him to the hospital. He hit the ground while he was flying and broke his leg—he's not in any danger."

Mrs. Weasley collapsed onto the couch, relief washing over her. Of course, a broken leg was nothing to be happy about, but it was the sort of incident she was used to dealing with.

"Are you sure? There weren't any strangers about, or..." She didn't want to mention Death Eaters, or worse, the Dark Lord himself.

"Definitely not. One moment, he was practising a dive, the next he was on the ground in a heap. Tonks called Shacklebolt straight away, and a healer arrived before we could do anything else. Tonks went with them to the hospital, and she asked me to come and tell you."

"Oh, thank you, Hermione. I'll have to go straight away. Can you help me pack some things for him?"

"Sure, what do you want me to do?"

Mrs. Weasley led Hermione to Ron's room, and waved her wand at the cupboard. "Assemblius!" she shouted, and various items of clothing flew towards the bed. "Could you pack those things, dear? I'll fetch some food for him. He'll miss his mince pies." Mrs. Weasley quickly exited the room, leaving Hermione to pack Ron's things.

As she spelled Ron's clothes into an overnight bag, she noticed a bright green pair of Chudley Cannons boxer shorts. She smiled mischievously, and put them in her pocket.

She carried the bag downstairs, stopping at Ginny's room to fetch some things of her own, and then joined Mrs. Weasley in the lounge.

"Ready, Dear?" Mrs. Weasley asked, filling a large box with cakes, pies, bottles of pumpkin juice, and sandwiches. "We'll go via Floo Powder." She held out the pan of green powder, and Hermione took a handful. She stepped into the fireplace, threw down the powder and shouted "St. Mungo's hospital!" then disappeared in a flash of green light.

She appeared in the grate on the ground floor reception area at the hospital, coughing to clear the dust and soot disturbed by her arrival. She looked around at the reception area. Witches and Wizards were lined up at the counter. Some were covered in bandages, and others were covered in various growths and lumps. Hermione counted three sets of antlers, seven doorknobs, and one Wizard was lying on the ground, unable to stand up because of the weight of the hazel tree growing from his head. A nondescript wizard observed her briefly from behind the reception desk before turning away and replacing his wand beneath his robes. She quickly moved out of the way, and Mrs. Weasley appeared in the fireplace. They walked down the corridor to the Taliesin Ward and turned when they saw 'Ronald Weasley, broom crash, broken leg' on a small notice board outside the third room on the left.

Ron was sitting up in the bed chatting to Tonks.

"It's such an easy trick, that one. I don't know how I stuffed it up. Hey! Hi, Mum, hi, Hermione."

Mrs. Weasley ran to the bed and started examining Ron's face and eyes, and threw back the bedclothes to look at his leg, checking for symptoms only a mother could see.

"Get off, Mum! The Healer says it's a clean break, there's nothing to worry about. I can come home tomorrow."

"Ronald Weasley, there's nothing simple about a broken leg. How could you be so careless?"

"Molly, it was just an accident, it could have happened anytime." Tonks tried to be reassuring.

"Humph!" Mrs. Weasley proceeded to check Ron's pulse. He shook her off.

"MUM! It's okay. I feel fine."

"Well, you shouldn't have been out practising by yourself. Heaven knows what would have happened if Hermione and Nymphadora hadn't been nearby."

Ron smiled weakly. If he'd had it his way, Tonks wouldn't have been there at all, but he was grateful that she had been.

"Now, we've brought all your things. There's your pyjamas, dressing-gown, clothes to wear home tomorrow, toothbrush, soap, two towels, your Chudley Cannons books, some food and drink, your wizard's robes in case you get more visitors, and spare underwear."

Ron blushed. "You didn't bring the kitchen sink, did you?" he asked sarcastically.

"Oh, Ronald, just you wait until your father gets here!"

Ron stifled a smile. He knew his father wouldn't fuss him about the accident. A broom crash wasn't much compared to a bite from the fangs of Voldemort's serpent. Ron grinned; maybe they could compare scars...

Hermione decided that Mrs. Weasley had had enough time scolding Ron. She eased past and reached for his hand. "Are you really okay? You gave me such a fright." Her hand gripped his tightly.

He paused and looked straight into her eyes. "I'm fine—and I'm glad you were there for me."

She blinked, and her eyes filled with tears again. "I..."

"Well, little brother, what have you gone and done this time?" George's voice boomed as he and Fred entered the room. George placed a small parcel on the bed, and said, "This will help you recover."

"Don't you DARE give him any of your jokes, George Weasley!" Mrs. Weasley shrieked, grabbing the parcel away.

"It's okay, Mum, it's just a box of Chocolate Frogs,” Fred replied. Mrs. Weasley opened the box and inspected the contents. She waved her wand over the box and muttered 'Finite incantatum!' before passing it back to Ron.

"So, you were practising the Wronski Feint again, hey?" asked George.

"Yes," replied Ron sheepishly. "I left it too late. I was actually pulling out as I hit. I should have pulled up sooner."

"Ah, well, a bit more practice, and you'll have it right. Wouldn't want to let any of those amateurs from Slytherin put one over you, hey?"

"No…I'll get it right next time."

Mrs. Weasley was beginning to boil. She was just about to let the twins have it when Mr. Weasley walked in.

"So, you forgot about the ground, did you?" he asked jovially. He'd asked about Ron's condition at the front desk, and decided that some gentle kidding was the best treatment he could provide for his son's injuries.

"Yeah, Dad. I was distracted by the cheering spectators." Everyone laughed, even Mrs. Weasley. She was allowing herself to feel relieved now.

"Now, Ronald, have you had anything to eat?" Mrs. Weasley asked, her motherly instincts asserting themselves.

"Not yet, but I'm really not very hungry, Mum,” he replied.

"Nonsense, I want you to have some of these,” she said bossily, handing him some mince pies and a bottle of pumpkin juice.

Ron accepted the inevitable. His mother wouldn't leave until she'd seen him eat something. He took a bite of mince pie and raised the pumpkin juice in a toast. "Here's to Quidditch and the Wronski Feint!"

Everyone except Mrs. Weasley laughed, but she did allow herself a small smile. Her son was safe...injured, but safe, and in good spirits. In fact, Ron was enjoying it. His leg didn't hurt anymore, and it wasn't often he had everyone's undivided attention. In fact, if it weren’t for Hermione's presence, he would have played it up a little more. He realised that what he wanted was for everyone else to go away, so he could enjoy her undivided attention.

"I think I'll have a rest now, Mum—I feel a bit tired."

"All right, everyone out of here,” Mrs. Weasley replied, bustling about, distributing Ron's clothes and the supplies of food and drink.

"See you, little bro',” said Fred and George. "Drop by Diagon Alley soon. We can fix you up with a Firebolt at trade price. We're members of the Alley Shopkeeper's Guild now, and we can take care of our special customers." They disapparated in a flash of light.

"Come on, Molly,” Arthur said. "Ron doesn't need us here now." He winked at Ron, who grinned until Mrs. Weasley looked at him.

"Well, I…" Mrs. Weasley started to fuss again, but Arthur bustled her out of the room.

Tonks then spoke. "I'll be outside the door all night. Have you got your mirrors?" she asked.

Hermione pulled her mirror out and showed Tonks, then searched for Ron's mirror in the luggage. It wasn't there. She looked at Ron and said to Tonks, "You'd better ask him what's in his back pocket."

Ron squirmed on the bed and withdrew his mirror, miraculously intact after the crash.

"Got it!" he replied happily.

"Okay. Hermione, don't keep him awake for too long," she said, grinning. "Goodnight, Ron. Goodnight, Hermione." Tonks left the room and closed the door.

Ron looked intently in to Hermione's eyes for a minute. She gazed back. There was nothing to say just yet. He eventually smiled and said, "Did I tell you how nice it was, lying with my head in your lap?"

She blushed and stammered "Y-you didn't have to fall off your broom to get my attention." She paused. "I liked it, too." Her eyes dropped, and she stared at the floor.

He hesitated, and then gathered his courage. "Hermione, I… I, um. Er… I l-love you and I want to spend my life with you."

The events of the afternoon caught up with her in a flash and she burst into tears. "Ron, I love you, too. I…" she stopped speaking as she was overwhelmed with emotion.

Ron reached for her hand and pulled her towards him. He gathered her in his arms and held her close, gently stroking her hair as she cried out the overload on her spirit. She sobbed quietly on his chest as she soaked in the confusion of fear, love, worry, and the strange cloud of blissful happiness that flooded her heart.

Ron realised after a while that Hermione had gone to sleep.

Broken leg aside, it had been a perfect day.

***

The next morning, Ron woke to see Hermione curled up in a visitor's chair beside his bed. She stirred and her eyes opened, blearily focussing on Ron. She smiled.

"Hi." He didn't want her to move. The look on her face would stay with him forever.

"How are you?" she asked shyly. She felt strange; exhilarated despite a night spent sleeping in a chair.

"I'm okay. How about you?"

She stretched and yawned, "I'm good. I feel..." She smiled again, and her expression hit him full force. She really loves me, he thought. They gazed into each other's eyes for a moment, and then she stepped out of the chair and sat on the bed beside him.

She leaned close, her lips parted slightly.

She kissed him on the lips.

Whoa! Ron thought, as he felt the tip of her tongue delicately stroke the side of his own.

His left hand reached upwards and cupped the back of her head, his fingers gently parting her hair. His other hand searched and found her hand, and their fingers clutched tightly at each other.

Some moments later they parted, breathless.

"Well…good morning,” Ron said.

She smiled and stroked his cheek. "Good morning...my love."

Ron was startled. Nobody had ever called him that. A massive grin slowly lit up his face. Hermione felt the warmth of his expression wash over her.

"I'm hungry,” he paused, "for breakfast." He laughed as she blushed and smiled.

"I'll see to it." She stood, then turned and hugged him tightly. "Ron, I…" she started to cry and quickly left the room.

Ron recalled Harry's description of kissing Cho Chang the previous year. What's with all the tears? he wondered. I hope she doesn't do that when Mum comes back.

After breakfast, Hermione bustled around the room, organising Ron's luggage for his trip home.

"When do I get out of here?" he asked. Lying around in a hospital bed was definitely not what he wanted to do. Events had caught up with him as well, and he was feeling wistful for familiar surroundings.

"You'll have to wait for the Healer to give you the all-clear,” she replied. "He's going to drop by later this morning. I suppose we'll be able to go home then."

The door opened and Ron's parents walked in accompanied by Tonks and Lupin. Remus looked as shabby as ever, his eyes baggy and his robes hanging about his slim frame. "Ronald!" There was nothing wrong with his mood. "Overdoing the tricky manoeuvres, I see!"

"Hello, Professor,” Ron replied. He was feeling almost boisterous this morning. "Nothing to it. Just point at the ground, and pull up before you crash! I need a bit of work on the last part, though."

Everyone laughed, relieved that Ron seemed to suffer no lasting effects from the accident.

"Have you had your breakfast, Ronald?" asked his mother.

"Yes, Mum. Tea, toast, bacon, eggs, more tea, and more toast. Oh, and bacon and eggs. When can I come home?"

"As soon as the Healer has seen you. I don't want to bring you back here with complications, Ronald Weasley,” she retorted.

"Hey, Tonks, what's been happening?" Ron asked.

"I've spoken to Dumbledore and Shacklebolt," she replied. ”They had a look around the field last night and didn't discover anything suspicious." That wasn't entirely true, but Tonks had been told to keep quiet in front of Mrs. Weasley.

"Well, I can't leave the ground without a broom. Hey, dad, can we drop by Diagon Alley on the way home? Fred and George have promised me a good price on a Firebolt."

"I don't know. How about you rest up for a while before shopping for a new broom?" Arthur replied. They simply didn't have enough money for a Firebolt, even at discount prices, but many hitherto closed doors at the Ministry had recently opened as a consequence of events during the past year, particularly after the conflict at the Department of Mysteries, and Arthur was determined to take advantage of his new 'friends'. Loyalties were already shifting away from Fudge, and political influence was flowing in new directions. Arthur had made enquiries about a sponsorship for Ron's possible career as a Quidditch player, and a new broom was already on its way to The Burrow. Ron was in for a surprise.

"I suppose so,” Ron replied, sadly. There was never enough money. He would have to borrow a broom from Fred or George, or worse, use Percy's old banger.

"How about a cup of tea, Molly?" Arthur asked. "I have to be back at work by ten o'clock. There's always a Muggle somewhere to be helped." Arthur smiled at the thought of the day's workload ahead of him, and he winked at Ron as he tugged at Mrs. Weasley 's arm.

"I'll see you at home later, Ronald. I've moved your bed to the lounge so you can be with us all the time," Mrs. Weasley called over her shoulder as Arthur pulled her from the room. There was silence for a moment after the door closed behind Mrs. Weasley, and then everyone laughed at the thought of Ron convalescing in the sitting room at The Burrow.

Tonks giggled. "I can just imagine it—'Mum, my leg hurts. Mum, I'm hungry. Mum, I need to go to the toilet’."

Ron blushed and protested, "I don't want to hang around the sitting room—I want to...go for a walk."

"Your mother will put me on the first Knight Bus home if I even hint that we should go for a walk," Hermione said anxiously.

"But I feel fine—and I need to exercise this leg. Sitting around won't do it any good." The Healer had promised that Ron would be up and about after a day's rest.

"Enough, you two,” Tonks interjected. "I've got some serious news." Ron and Hermione turned towards her, their expressions puzzled.

"What's up, Tonks?" Ron asked.

"I told Dumbledore about my chat with the oak tree's sprite, and he thought it was worth investigating. He spent more than an hour talking to it last night, and it seems that it's not just us that's responsible for the extra magic about the district. The sprite couldn't give him any details, but he's suspicious about your crash."

"But I told you...you saw it! I just didn't pull out in time!" Ron replied, anxious.

"Maybe, but I'm afraid it means no more private time for you and Hermione." She held up her hand as they both started to protest. "You can still go out for a walk, but Remus and I must be with you all the time, and NO flying.”

"Great...just great,” grumbled Ron. Hermione was silent. She was torn between her desire to be alone with Ron, and a realisation that life in the magical world was still dangerous.

"I'm sorry, but that's how it has to be,” Tonks continued. "I agree with Dumbledore—it's not worth the risk."

Ron didn't reply. He looked at Hermione with regret in his eyes. She gave him a tentative smile and spoke. "It's okay, we can still have some time together. There are lots of things I want to talk to you about."

Ron looked considerably more cheerful.

An hour later, the Healer walked into the room. "Ah, Mister Weasley. How's the leg today?" He drew back the bed sheet and examined Ron's leg.

"Feels as good as new. When can I get up and walk around?" he replied.

"No time like the present. Just take it easy for while. No running, jogging, bouncing, dancing, skating, and definitely no flying! The break has healed, but your body needs time to get over the shock. You might find it still hurts if you mistreat it. The bone broke very close to a previous injury. Did you break your leg sometime in the last couple of years?"

"Er, yeah—kind of,” Ron replied. He climbed warily out of the bed and Hermione stood ready to assist. Ron put his arm around her for a moment as he adjusted to being vertical. He slowly put some weight on the injured leg and let go of Hermione. He walked slowly around the room. "Feels fine!" he said brightly. "Let's go home."

"Fine. Off you go, then, just remember to go easy for a couple of days," said the Healer and left the room.

Tonks and Lupin gathered up most of Ron's luggage and took it outside. Hermione handed Ron an overnight bag, saying, "There's a change of clothes in there for you. Put your pyjamas back in the bag, then we can go." She gave him a hug. "I'm so glad you're better. Don't worry about us, we'll get some time together, I promise." She turned and left the room, closing the door behind her. Ron didn't see the mischievous smile on her face.

Ron opened the bag and took out his old jeans - the other pair was ruined in the crash. Great, thought Ron. More stuff I can't afford to replace. There was a t-shirt and a bright green pair of Chudley Cannons boxer shorts, along with socks and shoes.

He took off his pyjamas and put on the boxer shorts. A sudden noise startled him. It sounded like, well, a kissing sound. He quickly scanned the room to see if anyone else was still there, hiding. The noise continued. Ron looked down. The noise was coming from his boxer shorts! Bloody Fred and George! I'll kill them! he thought. As he searched about for his wand to silence the noise, it started to ease off, and after a minute it had stopped completely. Ron stood there with his wand pointed at the shorts, wondering whether he should cast a silencing spell. You really don't want to send a spell in that direction, Ron, he told himself. He decided to continue dressing and hex the twins some other time.

A few minutes later, he emerged from the room, carrying the bag.

"Let me help you,” Hermione said, taking the bag from him. She was suppressing another smile. "Everything all right, Ron?" she asked innocently.

"Sure, fine, couldn't be better,” he replied, although there was a certain squirm to his walk. Ron was terrified that the shorts would start making noises again. He should have taken them off.
Cruciatus by Keltoi
Back at The Burrow, Ron was immediately ordered to sit down by his mother, despite his protests that he was fine.

"Just for this afternoon, Ronald. The Healer said you were to give yourself time to recover, and that means rest."

"All right, then," Ron replied grumpily. He flopped onto the couch and immediately asked, "Can I have something to eat? It's been hours since breakfast."

"Of course, dear. I'll fetch you some pies and pumpkin juice. Would you like some lunch?" Mrs. Weasley asked the others.

"Yes, please,” replied Tonks.

"Oh, yes,” said Hermione.

"Your reputation is well-deserved, Mrs. Weasley. I'd be very grateful for a bite,” said Lupin.

Mrs. Weasley gave him a worried look, and laughed as she realised Lupin was having fun at his own expense. She trotted off to the kitchen, relieved that the children's guards were feeling relaxed enough to make jokes.

"Very droll, Remus. I thought she wasn't going to get it,” laughed Tonks.

Hermione didn't know what to say. She'd never heard Professor Lupin make light of his affliction. It didn't seem right, somehow.

Ron guffawed; this was a good one to tell Harry. "So, when can I go shopping for a new broom, then?" he asked Tonks.

"Let's wait for day or two, Ron. Your mother's right, just let yourself calm down, first. We can't let you go flying, anyway. You'll have to wait until you get back to Hogwarts for that."

"But..."

"No 'buts', Ron. We've got our orders."

Hermione decided it was time to take charge. "Ron, I'd really like to do some more study - won't you help me, please?" she asked. Ron looked disgruntled, but his eyes widened as he saw Hermione wink at him.

"Sure, how about after lunch?" he replied.

"Good. That's settled, then." Hermione stood and went to the kitchen to help.

"When does Harry arrive?" asked Lupin.

"This weekend, if all goes well. Dumbledore thinks he'll be just as safe here as anywhere outside Hogwarts,” Tonks replied. "I hope Molly's got enough room for us all. I suppose Alastor won't need a bed, anyway. He'll spend the nights on patrol, or my hair isn't pink,” she laughed.

The next day, Ron was allowed to take a short walk in the garden. Hermione brought a parchment, quills, and ink, and sat down on the grass in the shade of a large sycamore tree whose branches hung over the fence. She called to Ron. "I thought we should write to Harry about your adventures."

Ron walked over and sat down. "Good idea,” he said dejectedly. "At least he knows what it feels like to lose a broom."

Hermione reached out gave him a hug. "You'll have a brand-new broom soon. Just take it easy on the stunts, okay?" she said cheerily.

"Yeah... " Ron was already dreaming of his very own Firebolt. How am I ever going to pay for it? he thought. Maybe I can sell Canary Creams on commission. Better not mention that to Hermione. It's not the sort of thing she'd approve of, especially for a prefect. I'll probably have to settle for a Comet, or something else. He laid on his back, watching the clouds, dreaming of a Firebolt's speed.

Dear Harry, she wrote.

How are you feeling? I wish I could have come to see you. It must be terribly lonely for you, stuck at Privet Drive. Has anyone else written to you? I'm sure Neville, Luna, and the others would want you to know they're thinking of you. We have lots to talk about when you get here—just hold on for a few more days, then we'll all be together again.

Plenty of things have been happening here. Ron broke his leg on Tuesday—he was practising the Wronski feint and hit the ground. It was terrible to watch. I didn't even have time to slow him down before he hit. Tonks called for a Healer, and he took him off to hospital. It was a clean break, not too serious, and they let him come home the next day, but he's not allowed to put too much stress on it, yet.

His broom was totally destroyed in the accident, and he's missing it terribly. He keeps talking about getting a Firebolt. Fred and George have offered to get him one at a discount, but I'm worried it might have fallen from the back of a bus. The Knight Bus, probably!

We're under guard here, now. Tonks and Professor Lupin are staying here with us until we go back to school. It's good to have them around. They're doing their best to make life pleasant, but I feel like a child with a permanent chaperone!

Ron and I had a terrible argument just after you left the station at the end of term, and I thought we wouldn't see each other until school started again. I was so miserable, but then Ginny asked me to stay here at The Burrow. Tonks and I gave him quite a surprise when we arrived. Tonks convinced me I needed to remind Ron that I'm a girl, so she and I went shopping for some pretty clothes and a hairdo before we arrived. You should have seen his face!

Speaking of clothes, it's time for Ron's reminder. I'm going to get changed into something that will cheer him up.

Bye for now.

Love from

Hermione.


She signed the scroll and rolled it up. "Can I ask Pig to take this to Harry?" she asked Ron.

"Hmmm? Oh, sure, okay,” he replied. She rolled her eyes. He was off with the Chudley Cannons, spectacularly saving goals on his new broom. She gathered up her things and walked to the house.

As she was giving instructions to Pig, Mrs. Weasley called to her from the kitchen.

"Just a moment,” Hermione replied. She sent Pig on his way and walked to the kitchen.

Mrs. Weasley, Tonks, and Lupin stood admiring a brand-new Firebolt resting on the kitchen table. Hermione's eyes widened as she approached.

"Where did that come from?" she asked, astonished.

"It's a present from the shopkeepers of Diagon Alley, dear,” said Mrs. Weasley. "Arthur convinced them that this was a suitable way to improve Ronald's confidence as a Quidditch player." She was certain that her husband had called in a few favours to acquire the gift, but the children didn't need to know that.

"It's beautiful. What a shame he can't ride it until school starts,” Hermione replied.

"Yes, it is a bit sad, but now he's got something to look forward to,” Lupin added.

Hermione had an idea. "Can I give it to him, please?" she asked.

"Of course, dear. I thought that you should be the one to surprise him." Mrs. Weasley's eyes twinkled like Dumbledore's when he was sharing a joke. She'd been aware of their feelings for each other since noticing Ron's reaction the day Hermione had arrived at The Burrow wearing her new clothes.

"I'll just go and get changed,” she said, running for the stairs.

A little while later, Hermione walked out of the house, carrying the broom. She'd put a temporary invisibility spell on it to help carry out her plan.

Ron was still lying in the shade, his eyes closed as he dreamed of a dazzling career with the Cannons. Hermione placed the broom on the ground underneath the kitchen window, walked over to Ron and quietly spoke his name.

His eyes opened, then he gaped as he noticed her clothes. Was this a joke? Why the hell was she wearing formal robes? Her expression was unreadable.

"Wh-what is it?" he asked, an uncertain smile on his face.

"Ron, I have something to tell you."

Oh, no. he thought, getting up from the ground. She's going to leave! What have I done? What's gone wrong? He watched her nervously.

"For your services to the wizards and witches of Britain, helping to defeat You-Know-Who at the Department of Mysteries, I present you with this token of gratitude from the shopkeepers of Diagon Alley!" She drew her wand and shouted "Accio Firebolt! " The broom had been charmed to re-appear when it was summoned, and it flew to Hermione's outstretched hand. "For you, my love,” she said, standing with the broom held out towards him.

For a moment, all Ron could do was stare. His hand moved to the broom, tentatively touching the shaft of polished wood. His jaw dropped as he saw the word 'Firebolt' on the side, next to the serial number, in shining gold inlay.

"It's...it's real!" he said, unbelievingly. He took it from her hand and held it out straight, feeling the balance and power as the broom hummed gently.

"Is it really...I mean, it's really mine?"

"All yours, with their best wishes for your future."

He stared at the broom, and the world's biggest smile lit up his face. Then he looked at Hermione. "I thought you were going to tell me it was all over between us,” he said sheepishly.

She laughed and moved closer to him. "It will never be over between us, Ron. This is for you, too." She blew a kiss at him.

It was no ordinary kiss. Ron felt waves of warmth and love wash over him as his spirit seemed to float upward towards the sky.

After a moment, he shook his head and stared at Hermione. "How did you do that?" he asked incredulously.

"Just a little spell I found in a book,” she answered, smiling. It was a powerful spell. Hermione had felt the effect wash over her as well.

They gazed into each other's eyes, silent for some moments until Ron smiled again. "All this, and a new broom! Hermione Granger, don't ever leave me—I want you forever." He kissed her, awkwardly holding the broom in one hand as he held her close with the other.

Ron's elation came to a halt as he remembered that he wasn't allowed to ride it yet. His shoulders sagged as he let go of Hermione, his face echoing his dejection.

She sensed his feelings immediately. "Ron, it's the most wonderful present I've ever seen. I understand how you feel. Can you be brave for me, and wait until school starts?"

She was getting good at this. Ron's face became cheerful again, and he replied, "Only if you agree to become my broom handler!"

She laughed, relieved that he was able to recover and joke about his disappointment.

"Let's show your mother. Just wait 'til she sees this!"

They walked arm-in-arm back to the house, laughing and teasing about one-on-one instruction and personal training sessions.

***

It was the day before Harry was due to arrive. Ron, Hermione, and Tonks walked along the lane towards the flying field. Lupin followed at some distance, his eyes scanning the surrounding trees and hedges for anything suspicious.

"Wait 'til Harry sees my new broom!" Ron said enthusiastically. "Slytherin won't stand a chance this year. We should ask Oliver to come and see the match—he always loved beating Slytherin."

Tonks grinned and added, "We should make up a new team song. How about 'Weasley and Potter, the best pair in the air, Snitches and Quaffle, they just can't compare!'" They laughed as Ron pumped his arm in anticipation of a crushing victory over Slytherin.

An old woman approached them along the lane. Tonks glanced at the shambling figure clad in black robes, and looked away again towards Ron and Hermione. Suspicion suddenly clicked in her mind and she drew her wand, but not before the figure threw back her cloak, pointed her wand at Hermione and screamed, "Crucio! "

Hermione collapsed on the ground, howling with pain as Tonks pointed her wand at the figure, shouting "Impedimenta! " The woman dodged and pointed her wand at Ron. She was about to curse him when he felt another spell hit him. A dozen ghostly images of Ron suddenly appeared, flying towards the woman. Ron stood and stared as the echoes of his body surrounded her like Dementors. She jumped backwards as the ghosts closed in, then Tonks shouted "Stupefy! " and the woman fell to the ground. Lupin came running past Ron, through the milling ghosts, and waved his wand at the figure on the ground. Ropes appeared and bound the woman tightly. Lupin muttered another spell and a gag wound itself around her mouth.

"It's Bellatrix,” he called out, angrily. He was breathing hard, but his wand didn't waver from her head. Tonks ran up, shouting into her mirror.

"Ron!" called Lupin. "Check Hermione, quickly!"

Ron ran to Hermione. She lay still and quiet, facedown on the ground. "Hermione?" He gently rolled her over. "Hermione, it's me, Ron!" Her face was obscured by hair. Ron crouched and placed his hands behind her, raising her to a sitting position. Her head lolled forward, unresponsive. "Hermione!" he shouted. He was close to panic. She was limp as he struggled to hold her and raise her head. Suddenly her body jerked and she screamed. Ron cried out in agonised relief as he watched her eyes open.

"Hermione! It's Ron, are you all right?" He was crying as she fought her way to consciousness. She drew a shuddering breath and looked at Ron. He flinched as he saw the horror in her eyes. Her body started to shiver and she threw her arms around him, sobbing.

Dumbledore, Kingsley, and twenty members of the Order apparated suddenly, wands pointing in every direction.

"Over here!" Tonks shouted. "It's Bellatrix Lestrange." Dumbledore's eyes continued to scan the scene as four wizards surrounded the woman on the ground. Her eyes glared hate at the figures looking down at her.

Satisfied that the immediate danger was past, Dumbledore walked to Ron and Hermione. "Are you all right, Miss Granger?" he asked kindly.

She looked up at him and nodded silently.

"Cruciatus, was it?" he asked. She nodded again, shivering.

"You should rest. I'll have you escorted to the Weasley's house. Kingsley!" he called. "Please assist Miss Granger and Mr. Weasley back to The Burrow."

Shacklebolt helped Ron raise Hermione from the ground. They started to walk to The Burrow when Ron stopped and turned. He walked back towards the group surrounding the woman on the ground. He drew his wand.

"Miss Granger's recovery would suffer if you were to be sent to Azkaban prison for murder, Ronald,” Dumbledore's words penetrated Ron's anger. He'd never believed himself able to kill someone until this moment. The killing curse was close to his lips when he stopped, confused. He stood and fought with his emotions. Finally he asked, "What's going to happen to her?"

"I hope to persuade Bellatrix to cooperate with us. At the very least, Professor Snape's excellent Truth Potion should provide us with much valuable information. Please let me deal with her, and turn your anger aside. Miss Granger will need your support to return from this terrible ordeal."

Ron's shoulders slumped as his emotions subsided. He joined Hermione and Shacklebolt, and walked with them back along the lane. Five members of the Order followed, their eyes watchful and wands ready.

Dumbledore joined the group milling around Bellatrix. Lupin showed him a small figurine of Ron. "We must thank Fred and George for their little trick,” he said.

"A neat variation of the Replicatus Spell,” Tonks added. "I've never seen it used that way. We should include it in the Auror's spell kit."

"Ah, yes, the Weasley twins. I must ask them to tell me the story of their departure from Hogwarts. They seem to have inspired Peeves to greater heights of mischief,” Dumbledore replied. He turned his eyes to the figure lying bound and gagged on the ground, and his smile faded. "Bellatrix, your misguided loyalty to Voldemort must cease. I cannot allow you or any other Death Eaters to carry out his plans. You must decide now whether you will cooperate with us,” he paused and waved his wand, releasing her gag.

"Never!" she shouted angrily. "My Lord would never abandon me, and I will never abandon him!"

"The alternative is imprisonment for the rest of your life."

Her eyes glittered in triumph, but Dumbledore anticipated her reaction.

"You won't be sent to Azkaban prison, it has already proved unable to hold you. Do you remember the Longbottoms? Yes, I thought you might. You will be imprisoned within your own mind, as you once imprisoned them. You won't be tortured. You should understand that the effect you produced with the Cruciatus Curse on Neville's unfortunate parents can be reproduced at will by a number of—er—highly experienced wizards. You may have a few minutes to decide."

***

Ron gently tucked Hermione into bed, stroking her hair as she mumbled sleepily. "Don't go, Ron. Stay here with me."

"I'm not going anywhere. Go to sleep. I'll be here when you wake up."

Her eyes closed and her breathing became regular. Two minutes later, Ron was gently snoring, curled up at the foot of the bed.

***

In the morning, Hermione woke to the sight of Ron stretched out on Ginny's bed, his feet hanging over the end, and his arm hanging over the side. Her sleep had been mercifully free of nightmares, and she felt rested and alert. The events of the previous day were distant and dreamlike. The terrible, shocking pain of the Cruciatus Curse was now a remote, separate thing. Her eyes filled with tears as she remembered Ron protecting her from Mrs. Weasley's well meant but intrusive, fussing concern as he shepherded her up to Ginny's room. She rose and walked over to Ron, sitting down on the floor beside the bed and picked up his hand. She held it against her cheek, treasuring the warmth and feel of his skin against hers. She turned her head and kissed the palm of his hand. He stirred and his eyes opened.

"How are you?" he asked.

She said nothing, but moved closer and kissed him briefly on the lips. Then she kissed his forehead, his eyes, and his lips again.

"Does that answer your question?" she asked, smiling.

There was a knock at the door.

"Come in,” Hermione called.

The door opened and Ginny walked in.

"Are you all right, Hermione?"

"I'm fine, Ginny. Ron's been looking after me."

"Well it's about time!" she replied, addressing Ron. "The things I had to…never mind. You've got a visitor. Come in!" she called.

Harry walked into the room, his eyes full of questions. Ron and Hermione looked at Harry, then at each other and started laughing.

"What is it? What's so funny?" Harry asked.

"Harry..." Ron started.

"Have we got some stories to tell you!" Hermione finished, still laughing.


THE END
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=12073