Destined to Be by The Marauder
Summary: James is passionately in love with Lily, but she despises him. Each year things seem to get worse for the love sick boy. When he finally finds the courage to tell her the truth about how he feels, how will Lily react? Will her heart finally make a change?

Follow the two through each year at Hogwarts as hearts are wrenched, twisted, and finally touched as the two struggle to find the love they were destined for…

Last Chapter Added!

For update notification email me at: themarauderfanfics@yahoo.com


Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 9 Completed: Yes Word count: 13356 Read: 38426 Published: 01/29/05 Updated: 01/05/06

1. YEAR ONE by The Marauder

2. YEAR TWO by The Marauder

3. YEAR THREE by The Marauder

4. YEAR FOUR by The Marauder

5. YEAR FIVE by The Marauder

6. YEAR SIX by The Marauder

7. YEAR SIX PART 2 by The Marauder

8. YEAR SEVEN by The Marauder

9. YEAR SEVEN PART 2 by The Marauder

YEAR ONE by The Marauder
A/N: Where I’m from to go ‘stag’ to a dance just means you’re going without a date, I guess not everyone says that. Anyway, it’s just an amazingly awesome coincidence, pretty sweet huh? Haha alright…onto the main event!



Ch. 1: YEAR ONE (First Day at Hogwarts)


A tall man with a long silvery beard stepped forward and everyone present became silent in an instant. His expression was serious, but he gave off an appearance of approachability that set those around him at ease. “I’m pleased to announce that this year we are going to try a new tradition, mostly because I enjoy dancing so immensely… but also to celebrate the beginning of a wonderful new year and to welcome our new students…this week we are going to have a ball!” Applause broke out across the Great Hall and Dumbledore raised his hand to silence them. “It will be at the end of the week, so you have five whole days to worry about who you will be going with.” Dumbledore gave a knowing laugh as the students exchanged nervous glances. He lowered his long nose and gazed at them over his spectacles; satisfied, he winked and smiled, “Enjoy!”

Lily Evans gasped as she looked down and saw that a great feast had appeared right before her sparkling green eyes.

The girl sitting next to her laughed at Lily’s shock, “New to magic?” she asked. Lily smiled shyly and nodded. “I’m Kate,” said the girl. She had long, black hair tied back into a wavy ponytail, with a few wisps around her face. Her complexion was fair, and her grey eyes were kind and thoughtful.

“I’m Lily, nice to meet you.” She smiled, tucking her own fiery red tresses behind her ear.

“So what do you think so far?”

“It’s amazing! I can hardly believe a thing I see!”

Kate smiled knowingly and the two young girls filled their plates greedily with the scrumptious banquet before them, both taking in their surroundings and gazing up incredulously at the ceiling, or seemingly lack thereof.

Lily looked at her new friend, pleased to see that she was not the only one thoroughly impressed by Hogwarts. “So, did you grow up with wizards?” she asked curiously.

Kate finally pulled her gaze away from the sky above them and nodded, her mouth full of the delicious feast. Lily laughed as she was at long last able to swallow, “My Dad’s a wizard but my mom’s a muggle. He told her when she was pregnant with me ‘cuz he figured I’d be a witch, and she fainted on the spot…lucky she was just getting in bed,” they both laughed, “but she’s used to it now, we live in London. Where are you from?”

The girls learned about each other quickly, finding they had much in common: both had one sister, enjoyed mystery novels immensely, and were thrilled to learn they would be in Gryffindor. Suddenly a very handsome boy with messy black hair came down from the other end of the table.

“Hi! I’m James Potter.”

Lily smiled, “I’m Lily Evans and this is Kate Locks.”

“Glad to meet yah. And how are you two beauties enjoying your feast?”

Taken aback she looked him up and down. He was good-looking and he had a smile that showed just how friendly he was, but there was something about his air; he seemed to know he was great and appeared very pleased about it. Lily smiled and regained her composure, refusing to let him see her caught off guard, “Just fine. Who’s your friend?”

Another boy with long black hair, dark chocolate eyes, and an impressive physique had come up and sat next to him. “Oh, this is Sirius,” he slapped his new friend on the shoulder amiably; “We’ve been getting to know each other.”

“Hi, I’m Lily.”

“I’m Kate,” she grinned nervously. Lily looked at her new friend and smiled to herself thinking it funny that Kate was already smitten with Sirius. Then again, as she had noticed other girls glaring at them jealously, she was hardly surprised.

“So are you two excited about the ball?” asked James.

“Oh yah! It’ll be a great way to meet people.”

“Definitely! So how’d you like to go to the ball with me Evans?”

She was shocked…“We’ve only been at school for like…half an hour…”

Sirius laughed, “Potter here’s a quick mover.”

Still smiling James winked and cocked his head to the side confidently, “So? What do you say?”

“Oh, well, wow, thanks…” she paused as James smiled and nodded arrogantly, “…but I think I’m gonna go stag this time, sorry…” his smile disappeared abruptly and it took all her self restraint not to beam triumphantly in his face -- she had to try not to enjoy his ego deflating too much-- “Well, on second thought, maybe I shouldn’t go to the first ball alone, I suppose it depends if Kate here’ll have me…”

Kate and Sirius both laughed good-heartedly, but Lily and James met eyes smirking. So this was how it was gonna be? Let the games begin…




A/N: I'm really excited about this story, It's going to be lots of fun! Please review if you'd like more, I promise it'll get exciting soon...!!! Thanks!
YEAR TWO by The Marauder
Ch. 2: YEAR TWO (October)


“Come on, admit it, you like him. I could tell the first time you met him, and I’d only known you for like…ten minutes!”

“No, come on Lils, Sirius and I are just friends, give me a break already!” Kate was turning a shocking pink and Lily just laughed.

“You know you really shouldn’t tease her so,” scolded Charlotte. Kate nodded approvingly and Lily glanced up questioningly, “One of these days she’ll wake up and realize that she is in love with him, but by then she’ll be too annoyed to tell you!” Lily started cracking up and Charlotte groaned in exasperation.

“Thanks Charlotte…not helping! Honest, we’re just friends!”

“Whatever you say…”

Kate rolled her eyes, “You two are impossible. Well I’ve got to go to the library; I’ve got three inches left to write before Potions. I still have to explain why it has to be dragon’s tongue and not lizard’s, but I can’t find it anywhere… ”

“Don’t look at me, why don’t you ask Sirius?” Kate opened her mouth to reprimand Lily and then changed from pink to
scarlet as she heard a familiar voice behind her.

“Ask me what?”

“Kate needs help with potions but Charlotte and I can’t remember, maybe you can help her?” prodded Lily innocently.

“Sure! No problem!” Kate smiled thankfully at him and as they left she turned around and glared at the two girls as they waved at her mockingly, quite pleased with themselves.

“That was fun,” Lily joked, “They’re gonna make such a cute couple!”

Charlotte smiled and nodded happily for her friend, “Okay, ready to go?” she stopped, a foreboding expression on her face.

Lily looked at her friend, “What?...”

“Ready for that date Evans?”

Understanding passed across her face and she turned to face a smiling James. “Looking forward to it almost as much as Potions quiz next block!” She smiled mock-sweetly and walked away with Charlotte. When would he learn? The remark simply bounced off him and he jogged to catch up with her.

“Well as long as you’re excited…”

She rolled her eyes, and turned back to her friend, “So Hogsmeade is really close then?”

“Oh yah...walking distance from here! Did you know it’s the last non-Muggle village in London?”

“Wow, so only thir”“

“Don’t tell me you’ve never heard of Hogsmeade Evans!”

She turned exasperatedly…“Oh yah now that you remind me I’m sure my parents, told me all about it about the same time they were telling me about the Leaky Cauldron and Diagon Alley….oh wait, no that can’t be right seeing as they’re muggles and all…oh well…”

He smiled unaffected by her sarcasm, “It’s awesome! Honeyduke’s is the most amazing place for sweets of any kind, and Zonko’s Joke shop is incredible; Sirius and I are gonna stock up, our supplies are running low.”

“Running out of brilliant pranks?” she tisked, “Aww…”

“You know, if I didn’t know better I’d say that sounded less than heart-felt!”

“Oh? Well shoot, I guess since we’re here we’ll have to postpone the rest of this delightful conversation till later, hm Potter?” she turned and waved to Kate and Sirius who were just coming back from the library. Sirius distracted James long enough for her to make her escape and she turned to Charlotte, “Unbelievable!”

Potions was uneventful, except for Pettigrew blowing up his concoction, but of course that, or some disastrous variation, happened nearly every class, so it didn’t cause much commotion. As they filed out of the room blinded by the smoke now dangerously overwhelming them, Lily accidentally walked into the one person she had hoped to avoid.

“Just can’t stay away, huh Evans?” James smirked cockily and she turned to walk away but he grabbed her arm, “Come on Evans, go out with me!”

“No,” she wrenched her arm away from his grip.

“Come on! I know you don’t really mean that…” he was laughing playfully, enjoying himself vastly.

“No! Potter, this isn’t a joke,” she hollered, finally losing her composure, “I’m not trying to encourage you, I mean no!” Emerald eyes wide in her fury she looked into his hazel ones, “No,” she had lowered her voice due to the crowd that had formed watching the two, but the tone was menacing and took James off guard long enough for her to turn and storm away before he could respond. Kate and Charlotte exchanged looks and then taking deep breaths followed in her wake.

James’ smile had returned, though it didn’t seem to be his normal, friendly one, but a fake, wide one plastered on his face, “Aww…she’s just playing hard to get, I bet she comes back beggin’ tomorrow…” He turned to laugh cockily with Sirius, but as they walked down the hall in the opposite direction of the girls, he turned his head slightly and as he looked at her retreating form his eyes fell.




A/N: Alright, things will heat up soon, but for now...I know you want others to review your story, so plz pay me the same courtesy! It will only take up like 5 seconds of your time and it will definetely inspire me to post the next chappy even sooner....
YEAR THREE by The Marauder
Ch. 3: YEAR THREE (February)


“Oy! Prongs…mate…wake up!” Sirius snapped in his face until he blinked and turned, confused…

“What?!”

“Prongs you’ve been staring at her for nearly twenty minutes!”

James started to blush, “Who?”

Sirius laughed at his friend's feigned innocence, “Right…I just thought you'd want to know that Kate is going to light her cake soon, and asked us to, er, 'round everybody up'.”

James smiled innocently, “Oh really? I wonder how ever we could get their attention…”

Nonchalantly they found a box hidden near the window sill and pulled out several colorful sticks that looked suspiciously like fireworks…

The common room erupted with screams from girls and small explosions as it was filled with bright colors and a finale explosion spelling out HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Once everyone got over the shock they started laughing and congratulating the two marauders. Lily smiled at Kate encouragingly and then turned to frown at James. She thought it was as fun as anyone else, but the moment was lost on her as she watched his ego grow steadily from compliments…

“Nice one Potter!”

“Oh that was amazing James!” cooed a group of giggling first years.

“Excellent Potter! How’d you get those? Zonko’s wasn’t carrying them our last trip!” James and Sirius exchanged proud smiles,

“No, but they were last week, weren’t they Padfoot?” Sirius nodded smiling proudly, and Lily rolled her eyes as everyone congratulated them all over again.

She made her way over to Kate, “Well? Are you having a good time?”

“Oh yah, absolutely, those fireworks were amazing!” Lily tried to put up a fake smile so as not to ruin her friend’s day with more complaints about supercilious James Potter, but Kate caught the look…

“Give him a break Lily, he was just trying to do something nice for my birthday!” Lily nodded, but she wasn’t convinced. No, she thought irritably, he was trying to show that he’s 'amazing' enough to sneak to Zonko’s, but she kept her mouth shut.

“Evans!” Unbelievable! Why is it no matter how many fans he has surrounding him he always has to come and bother me? She rolled her eyes and turned around, “Well? What’d ya think?”

“Not bad, Potter.”

“Why don’t you come with me and Sirius Saturday, we forgot a few…essentials…at Zonko’s, and need to make another trip!”

“What like a date?” she asked coyly as he smiled, “No thanks Potter…”

She started to leave but he stopped her, “Evans, I can show you parts of Hogsmeade you’ve never seen before…”

She raised her eyebrows and then without another word left to talk to Charlotte.

He frowned slightly, and then smiled as he watched her laugh with her friends. She was so beautiful. He loved her dimples when she smiled, and the way her hair was a fire of reds, oranges, and yellows when the light hit it. Sirius looked at him and then shaking his head met Kate’s eyes knowingly; she smiled and then looked away blushing. Even though James and Lily didn’t really “get along”, Kate and Sirius had become good friends over the years. Kate was finally coming to terms with the fact that she liked him, but although he always seemed attracted to her, he was dating a different girl every week. Lily kept telling her to be patient: it would happen when it was meant to, but she was losing hope.

Later that evening, after most of the party had broken up, Lily, Kate, Sirius, and James were talking amiably (except for a few eye rolls from Lily and smirks from James) and playing two truths and a lie. It was the same as the muggle version, except you put on the sorting hat and it came up with astonishing things you would have never thought of (or shared) yourself. No one knew exactly how James and Sirius had swiped it, but even Lily had to admit that it was a rather impressive feat.

“Alright,” said Sirius, “your turn Kate!” she smiled nervously and then put it on…

“Hm…” mused the hat, “well… she fears muggle clowns most of all, she wishes she could fly without a broom, and she has a secret love.”

Sirius smiled, “the third, we'd know if she liked someone!” Kate blushed and the hat announced,

“Incorrect…

The lady does in fact love someone deeply,
Yet shyly keeps her secret sweetly.
The lie in fact is about the clown,
Her greatest fear is that she shall drown.


“What?” Sirius smiled, but it wasn’t genuine and he was obviously flustered by the news. Whether it was only because she hadn’t told him, or for another reason, no one knew…

“Okay Lily, your turn!” announced Kate, trying to break the uncomfortable silence. Lily laughed and took the hat.

“Mmhm…interesting…” She closed her eyes and scrunched up her face in apprehension, “what she fears most are dementors, her favorite story as a child was Alice in Wonderland, and she is tired and secretly wishes she could go up to bed.”

Everyone thought about this for a minute, and then Kate said, “the dementors one maybe? I’ve never heard Lily admit to being afraid of anything! And Lils, if you’re tired, go ahead. We don’t mind!” Lily smiled and shook her head…

“Wrong again…

Dementors are her greatest fear,
Her worst memories she does not wish to hear.
But dear lady is having too much fun,
For this clever game to yet be done.


They all smiled approvingly.

“What’s Alice in Wonderland, Lily?” asked Sirius curiously.

“Oh when I was little it was my favorite story; I always thought it was so much fun! Alice is this girl who escapes from her sisters (if you knew Petunia you’d understand) and enters a world full of imagination and, well, sort of…magic…” They all laughed, and Lily smiled, entranced in her memories…

The game continued, though somewhat quieter as Sirius had become distracted and somewhat tacit after learning of Kate’s secret love, and even James seemed to be musing over something. The laughter, however, remained until Peter stumbled down the stairs rubbing his eyes sleepily and asking if they knew it was past 3:30. They agreed it was time to turn in, and with a hug from James, and a lingering one from Sirius, they wished her a Happy Birthday and made their way up to the dormitories.




A/N: Okay, the older they get, the more exciting it'll get “ promise. Next chapter is some fun with Kate and Sirius, and then year five things begin to...heat up.

I'd like to thank the people that have taken the time to review, and to ask those that haven't not to read and run, just a lil note means so much!

For all those feeling sorry for James...well...i'm sorry but it only gets worse for him...but be patient and everything will work itself out in the end!

Oh, and until next chapter, check out some of my other fics! I have some j/l one-shots, one just posted actually, as well as various h/g and r/h, plus a h/g and r/h romance blossoming as we speak...

Thanks guys! And thanks to my beta Lupin is King!!
YEAR FOUR by The Marauder
Ch. 4: YEAR FOUR (September)


"He’s still acting weird!" insisted Kate, pacing back and forth in front of Lily. "What is wrong with him?"

Lily looked at her friend and smiled knowingly, but shrugged angelically.

"What? What is that look?" Kate demanded.

Lily opened her eyes wide, trying to look innocent, but Kate’s gaze was not amused.

"Okay, let’s think about this…" said Lily, enjoying her friend’s confusion. "He’s been acting like this since school started?"

Kate nodded forlornly.

"What about this summer? Did you two write any letters?" asked Lily, her green eyes twinkling brightly.

"Yeah! That's another thing: he barely wrote all summer, and he always sounded so distant...so unlike Sirius!" Kate exclaimed.

"Okay, so we know it's something last year.... hmm....when last year..." She held her forefinger and thumb up to her chin, and tilted her head. Looking at the ceiling she pursed her lips, pretending to think. "Oh!" she exclaimed sweetly, mocking an epiphany, "What about since your birthday...?"

Lily chuckled to herself as her friend's eyes focused inward in concentration.

"Um…yeah, that seems about right," Kate agreed hesitantly.

"Well, what happened that night?" coaxed Lily.

"Umm…" Kate scrunched her forehead in concentration. "Well, normal birthday events I suppose? They had those fireworks, but he was perfectly fine then… LILY EVANS, WHAT ARE YOU SMIRKING ABOUT?”

Lily grinned widely at her friend. Okay…enough playing… "Two truths and a lie."

"What?" Kate snapped demandingly.

Lily pulled Kate down to the couch to sit next to her. "Two truths…and a lie," she repeated gently.

Kate looked at Lily and then, all of a sudden, seemed to look through her, remembering…

The lady does in fact love someone deeply,
Yet shyly keeps her secret sweetly.


"Oh Merlin, I’d nearly forgotten about that," Kate whispered. "Can you believe the sorting hat actually said that about me? Honestly! But you didn’t explain Sirius…"

Lily groaned and fell back. "You’ve got to be kidding me!" she moaned. Kate just stared at her blankly. "He was upset because he likes you, and he became distant because he thinks you like someone else! There is no way you could have honestly not noticed…" Kate wasn’t sure how to accept this explanation, and stared at her hands in her lap silently. "So…what are you going to do about it?" Lily asked cautiously, breaking Kate’s concentration.

"Huh? Oh…well, nothing…I don’t know what to think about that, much less what to do…"

Lily examined her friend carefully and then made a decision: If Kate wouldn’t do anything, it was up to her. But she was going to need help…she sighed in defeat. Yes, it was necessary. She looked at Kate for courage, and as she saw her friend still sadly staring at her hands, determination set in. There was only person conniving enough to pull this off…

* * *

He laughed, "You…are asking me for help…"

She tilted her head and looked at him in frustration; they had been through this enough, and she refused to see him gloat anymore than was necessary.

"You know what, Potter? Come to think of it, maybe I don’t need your help. I’ll do it myself…" She turned and pretended to walk away in a huff.

Wait for it… she thought shrewdly.

Behind her his eyes widened as he realized he was about to miss his chance.

"Wait! Hey, Evans!"

She stopped and smiled slyly to herself. Too easy. Then, replacing the smile with a scowl, she turned to face him.

"Yes?" she asked coolly.

He jogged over to her. "Okay, okay…I’ll help you."

She smiled again, and he was surprised that Lily Evans was capable of looking so mischievous.

"Good," she said. "Let’s get started."

She began to walk down the hall as he stared at her bemused, and then shook his head and caught up to her again. They strolled slowly out to her favorite tree by the lake and, chancing a glance at him, she couldn’t help but feel her grin broaden; even if she had to deal with Potter, this was going to be fun…

* * *

"Lily…slow down! Where are we going again?" Kate breathed as she jogged a few steps, her short legs unable to keep up with Lily’s quick pace.

"I told you! I have a surprise for you; I found this awesome room I just have to show you!" They reached a tapestry and Lily stopped. Kate looked at her expectantly as she walked back and forth three times muttering something under her breath. She started to ask a question, but Lily interrupted her. "Okay, walk back and forth three times thinking, I need a room for Lily’s surprise."

Kate raised her eyebrows and stared at her friend as if she were barmy.

"Just do it!" exclaimed Lily anxiously.

She rolled her eyes as if to say This is ridiculous, but obeyed. Kate gasped as she saw a door appear and looked to Lily for an explanation.

Lily smiled sweetly. "Well go in!" Kate opened the door to see Sirius sitting on a very small couch, (just barely large enough to squeeze in two people sitting very closely) his arms crossed angrily.

Kate blinked at the sight before her and slowly and forebodingly turned to Lily. Her expression changed from confusion to understanding as to her horror, she found James standing next to the red head, both jovially grinning at her. Her usually cool gray eyes flashed in a threatening manner and she mouthed, Don’t you dare! Lily winked and as they closed the door, Kate reached out for it, but wasn’t quick enough. The door vanished before her eyes, and she found herself grasping at a small piece of parchment which had appeared in its place.

Kate,

This is the Room of Requirement. What we require, is for you and Sirius to admit how you feel about each other. When you both say everything you need to say, the door will appear, and you will be free to leave; if you choose to, that is….

Lily and James

P.S. You hate me now, but you’ll thank me later!


She turned, and in horror noticed Sirius was clutching a very similar looking note. He looked up at her, slightly embarrassed and slightly confused, and she smiled shyly.

"Hey…"

* * *

In the hall the two clever con artists beamed as the door closed with a satisfying ‘click’, locking the unsuspecting victims in.

"Not bad for a day’s work, eh Evans?" asked James, nudging her with his elbow.

She laughed good naturedly, "You know, I think it’s actually going to work!"

"Of course it is Evans, I planned it!" Her smile faded and she remembered why she avoided situations like this, standing with Potter in a deserted hallway. And here it comes… she thought grimly.

"Hey Evans…"

"Potter…before you “"

"…want to go out with me?"

She sighed, shaking her head at him disappointedly and then softly laughed disdainfully. "For the slightest moment, I actually thought that we could get along…See you back at the common room, Potter." And with that she turned on her heel and left a stunned James in her wake.

When he could no longer see her retreating form he turned back to the unusual tapestry and sighed miserably. "Again?"




A/N: Hey guys! Ok, this chappie was a little sirius/kate centered, but i enjoyed the interaction between the characters. However... year five is next and things finally start to heat up....yay!!!

Oh, and I wanted to thank my reviewers, it was so exciting having 5 stars or as long as it lasted, but i suppose it couldn't last forever haha...ok, but of course i have to ask you to still leave me a message and i'll post the next chappie even sooner! In the meantime check out some of my other fics!

If you would like to be notified of updates of this story, please send a message to themarauderfanfics@yahoo.com stating the name of the story, and I'll add you to the list!
YEAR FIVE by The Marauder
Ch. 5: YEAR FIVE (October/May)


Before you read, just so no one’s annoyed, he is not a Gary-Stu ;o)

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~The First Hogsmeade Trip of the Year~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~


Lily laughed and put her hand on his arm.

"Whoa, Prongs, mate, take it easy!" Sirius was looking at his friend worriedly, but James wasn’t paying him any attention; he was instead focused on Lily’s hand, now resting on Cliff’s arm. He glared at Cliff, his knuckles shockingly white from the fists they were balled into.

Cliff said something else witty and Lily laughed again. He leaned in and whispered in her ear and blushing, she nodded her head in agreement. That was too much for James and he got up, without having touched any of the food in front of him, and left the Great Hall too confused to stay, too upset to explain, and too furious to control his temper…

Cliff Conaway was of course the handsome, blonde Ravenclaw Keeper. His wavy blonde hair was always in place, his shocking blue eyes, startling, and his Quidditch abilities, well, they reflected those of his father, the famous Chudley Cannons’ Keeper, Steve Conaway. He had everything: grades, looks, friends, money, a fan club of girls rivaling that of Sirius and James, and now…the girl. James kicked a tree angrily, and then growled in frustration. He groaned and clutched his throbbing foot; then, angrily remembering her eyes sparkling with laughter, sank down against the tree desolately.

He tried to make her laugh, every day, to see those emerald orbs glow; everyone else did but she only sighed and cast him exasperated looks. He tried to impress her, showing his talent in and out of class, and taking care of greasy gits like Snivellus, but instead of becoming exasperated, she became angry. And he tried to ask her out, always praying for a yes, but only ever receiving an exasperated, angry, and/or mocking rejection.

He irritably banged his head against the tree behind him, and then shaking his head in fury, absentmindedly began to violently rip the grass out of the ground, forming a mound rivaling his despair. He closed his eyes, seeing the only image he ever saw: Lily. Over and over the vision of her laughing amiably with Cliff passed through his mind and with a painful ache in his heart he thought, I’m not good enough for her, she deserves better, someone who can make her laugh...but not him…

James had seen him with many girls, too many. He was a bit like Sirius had been before Kate: he moved from girl to girl, finding more fun in the chase than the prize, and often losing interest about a week after his conquest. He had seen more than one girl crushed by the "mighty Cliff", and James refused to let that happen to her.

Lily was no ordinary, swooning girl, as James had discovered himself, but Cliff had told her she was amazing, he cared for her more than he’d ever felt before, that she was different than the others. James had realized she was different at the age of eleven; he had known it since she turned him down on the very first day of school; he didn’t know how long he’d loved her, but it didn’t matter…James had the true heart, and Cliff the true words. Lily had chosen wrongly.

* * *

The new couple went to Hogsmeade the following weekend, and James scowled as they sat a few tables away at the Three Broomsticks. Sirius was talking and he nodded randomly mm-hming and yeah-ing here and there, trying to ignore the distraction.

"Prongs…Potter…hey -- look at me!"

"What?" he asked irritably.

"I asked if you wanted to join Snivellus in a romantic evening of toasting marshmallows…and you said yeah…"

Prongs rolled his eyes at his smirking friend. "Okay, sorry, I wasn’t listening. You caught me…congratulations." He turned back to glare at Cliff who was now holding Lily’s hand.

Sirius looked at his friend quietly, a look of concern erasing the smirk. "Why can’t you just give up on her?"

James kept his eyes glued on the pair. "Because."

"Because why?" Sirius persisted.

"Just because! I can’t explain why, Padfoot."

Sirius sighed. "Prongs, mate, nearly half the females in this school would go out with you in a heartbeat. The other, slightly larger half, are in love with me of course." He chuckled, but stopped when he didn’t get any reaction. "Only you would pick the one girl that can’t stand you."

James turned suddenly and looked at his friend. "But I didn’t…really…it’s not like I picked her, Sirius, so much as she was picked for me." His friend froze upon hearing his real name; this was no joke. "She’s different than the rest, she’s…so much more; it’s like she was made just for me, like I was meant to find her…like we were destined to be…" The two sat in silence for a while, James watching Lily unblinkingly and Sirius casting worried looks between the two.

Trying to cheer his friend up, Sirius began dreaming up ways they could…eliminate…Cliff from the picture. Soon enough, enjoying the bantering of possible hexes, traps, and torment they could induce upon the unsuspecting boy, James was laughing with his friend, thankfully oblivious to the beautiful red head now kissing the boy next to her.

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~Last Hogsmeade Trip of the Year~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-


James was sprinting through the tunnel towards the castle. He was out of breath and sweaty, but he had to find her, he had to tell her!

When he finally got to the common room, he located her by the fire reading pleasantly, completely unwary of the distraction coming.

"Evans…" he gasped, out of breath.

She looked up at him in surprise. "What?"

He breathed heavily composing himself, "I have…to tell you something…about Cliff."

She rolled her eyes. "Not again Potter. Would you give it up already!"

"No, wait!" he said urgently as she turned back to her book. "Evans, I have something to tell you, for real this time!"

Exasperated she looked up; she had had about enough. "Potter, this is not funny anymore. Stop."

"No, you don’t understand! I was at Hogsmeade and I saw him “"

She cut him off. "Well now I know for sure you’re lying, because he wasn’t at Hogsmeade today, he was studying in his common room. He told me himself!"

"He was there, Evans! I saw him wi”"

"Shut up, Potter!"

"But…"

"NO!"

"Evans, you have to listen to me, this is imp-"

"James Potter, I am not going to listen to another word you say." She stood up, pushing him out of her way. "I’m going to my room. Please just try to follow me."

"EVANS!" he called in one last attempt, but she ignored him and slammed her door. He collapsed on the chair in disbelief.

Well…if she wasn’t going to listen to him, he’d just have to take care of it himself…



A bit of a cliffie…ok. I said things were gonna heat up a bit in year 5? This ain’t nothing compared to year six…love, hate, confessions, anger, screaming, tears, confusion…what doesn’t happen in year six?

Of course, I gotta ask you to plz leave me a review!

For update notices, email me at themarauderfanfics@yahoo.com

Thanks to my wonderful beta Daniela!




Hey guys, see what happened is...for the second time in this story my beta has left. First time he was moving and lost access to a computer and my second has decided to take time off for school, so i've been trying to get a new one! I had one say she wanted to but now i'm waiting for her to send me her email. I'm so sorry i was just realizing its been ages since i've updated but the truth is the story is completed! I know - frustrating. So if she doesnt get back to me by tomorrow i'll try yet again for a response, and if not maybe i'll just go ahead and post without it being beta-ed? Again I feel bad but i'm doing my best! Just a run of bad luck :o( oh well....in h/g love i'll get it as quick as i can!
YEAR SIX by The Marauder

Ch. 6: YEAR SIX (APRIL)


As they left dinner Lily saw Cliff and paused awkwardly, unsure if she should say hi or not. Her dilemma, however, was resolved as he turned and kissed Mariah goodbye.

Lily had known she would see this, had both planned and primed herself for it, but was still not prepared when it happened.

Kate looked at her friend worriedly, “You okay Lils?”

Lily nodded a bit too earnestly, putting on a brave face, “Um…yeah, definitely, it was ages ago.” She smiled forcefully, but truthfully -- no matter how many times she saw him -- she felt butterflies at the sight of him.

“Um…Kate…actually I’m feeling a little restless, I think I’m going to go for a walk. I’ll come and find you later, okay?” Kate smiled understandingly and waved as Lily turned and headed outside.

She wandered aimlessly for a while, and ended up settling by the lake, looking up at the stars. She tried with little success to remember all the constellations she’d worked so hard to memorize for Astronomy. After a good half hour she recomposed herself by wiping her face and eyes, and inhaled a deep breath of the crisp night air. She decided she really ought to go find Kate, especially since she had blown her off but, just as she was about to stand, James sat down next to her without a word.

He was acting strange, fidgeting more than usual; in fact, he couldn’t seem to sit still at all. First he crossed his legs but then stretched them out. Next he struggled to find a suitable place for his hands. They roamed from his lap to his pockets, and then to his unruly black hair. Lily watched him, confused, but slightly amused at his obvious discomfort. He opened his mouth, apparently about to speak, but closed it again shifting uncomfortably as he changed his mind.

The cycle repeated several times and Lily was beginning to feel anxious. She was about to ask him what was up, when he finally spoke, “Evans, I’ve asked you out nearly a thousand times and every time you’ve turned me down without a thought. It’s April. Our sixth year is almost over now, and all teasing aside, I’ve got to tell you…” he stopped and looked into her eyes, searching for the courage he needed to go on, “since the moment I met you, I have admired and adored you. I can’t hide behind pranks and jokes any longer -- Lily, I’m in love with you.”

She stared at him incredulously; James Potter was actually telling her he loved her? No, it had to be a new ploy to catch her off guard, surely. Struggling to find any words to express her disbelief or any brilliant comebacks, he mistook her silence as an encouraging sign. He tilted his head and leaned in, but she backed away, her eyes wide in astonishment. He was serious.

James froze, embarrassed and confused. Lily had turned him down many times before, but after admitting his love for her, she couldn’t honestly be rejecting him again. Could she?

“I’m sorry James, but I…can’t,” she bit her lip and looked purposefully at the grass, trying to avoid his penetrating stare.

He blinked and furrowed his brows. He was baffled and hurt, “You’re serious?”

“I don’t know what else to say…” she looked at the ground, this is not happening!

James could only stare at her in disbelief…

“This is the only answer I’m going to get is it? I declare my love for you and all you can say is you’re sorry!” James’ frustration was slowly turning into anger. For six years he had tried to win her heart and now after bravely putting his out in the open, she had stomped on it without a second thought.

Lily had remained quietly passive through his outburst and now looked up at him in disbelief. How could he have expected anything other than the answer she had given him? How could he be upset with her after over half a decade of almost daily torture? She licked her lips and tried to steady her shaking voice, “I never tried to gain your attention or your affection; I never intended to lead you on!”

Various moments through the years passed briefly through her mind and she shook her head slightly in agitation, giving a small dry laugh, “In fact, I did everything I could to push you away!”

James, persistent as ever, disregarded this last statement and pleaded, “Just go on one date with me Evans. There’s a Hogsmeade trip next week…”

She closed her eyes and shook her head.

“Evans what have I done to you? I’ve told you I love you…bloody hell, you’re all I ever think about “ do you know that?”

He was lost in his rage and began to ramble furiously, “I play Quidditch my hardest just to impress you; I don’t pay attention in class because I can’t seem to peel my eyes off you. When you asked for my help, I planned a whole scheme just to get Sirius and Kate together. For Merlin’s sake, I even took care of that bleeding git, Cliff, for you…” he froze realizing the secret he’d just let slip and then quickly looked away, his hand traveling instinctively back to his hair as he braced himself for the onslaught.

Her buried suspicions had been confirmed. She stared at him, unblinking, and her green eyes shone with an eerie power, “It was you…” she whispered. “I knew it all along -- it was you!”

He hesitated a moment and then glared defiantly into her eyes, not denying what he’d done.

She paused for a second, trying not to scream at him, but failed miserably.

“I don’t know what the hell happened with Cliff, but how DARE you meddle in my life. You said he wasn’t good enough for me…well that is not for you to decide! I told you to stay out of it. It’s bad enough that you came to me, but the fact that you had the NERVE to go to him…” she paused, unable to match words to all the thoughts bouncing around in her head.

“You gave him a black eye like some troll, and he…he broke up with me! He wouldn’t even tell me why. He wouldn’t come anywhere near me -- do you have any idea what that was like? And all along it was because of you? It was entirely your fault!” Tears welled up in her eyes but she refused to let them fall. Instead the emerald pools began to burn with a fury James had never seen before.

He stared at her, torn between emotions. He was upset that she had been hurt but aggravated by her anger and her naivety of the situation.

“Is that all?” he said derisively, struggling to keep his voice cool as he restrained himself from an outburst of equal proportion.

“No James Potter that is not all,” she hissed; by this point she was livid and stood up heatedly.

“It’s your pompous attitude about everything! Since the very beginning you have been completely egotistical, conceited and arrogant. You pick on Snape at any opportunity just because you can. You think every situation can be turned into a joke and pay absolutely no mind to all the people you hurt along the way! You think you’re better than everyone else because you can play Quidditch and girls will swoon for you. Did you honestly think I would go out with you? Let me tell you James Potter I will never go out with you. Do you hear me? Never. I would rather die. I would rather spend a day cheering up Moaning Myrtle. I would rather date Lucious Malfoy! Get it?”

She leaned towards him and whispered coldly, “The way you treat others -- like you’re better than them --it disgusts me.”

Lily breathed heavily, surprised at her own boldness, and feeling a mixture of emotions ranging everywhere from pain from reliving the Cliff experience, to relief at telling him off completely. James had remained eerily passive during this outburst and now, upon deciding she was in fact done, stood slowly, nonchalantly wiping the grass from his pants, his casual nature mocking her. As he stepped out of the shadow, she could see by his flushed cheeks and tight eyes that he was anything but calm.

“You know what Evans? You’re right! I don’t know what I was thinking. I am so sorry I interrupted you on this beautiful evening. Please, return to brooding under the tree. I won’t disturb you again,” he retorted caustically, his tone biting, and without giving her a chance to reply, he turned on his heel and stormed towards the castle.




Guys I’m so sorry! It’s been ages since I’ve posted a chapter! Really, I know “ I hate it when I’m reading a story and the author doesn’t update… :o/ But I should have the rest of the story up quick because, I have a wonderful new beta, our own stickm, who is a phenomenal help!

Next, stay tuned for a bit more year six as we see the aftermath, and the Cliff mystery is finally revealed.

Also, I don’t know if any of you have Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice. Well, other than Harry Potter (of course lol) it’s my favorite book, and apparently one of Jo’s as well! I’ve always seen a parallel between the J/L love/hate relationship and Elizabeth Bennett and Mr. Darcy, so parts of this year were inspired by it. If you haven’t read it…do, it’s awesome!

YEAR SIX PART 2 by The Marauder
Ch. 7: YEAR SIX (APRIL CONT)



Breathing hard from anger and frustration she watched his retreating form. As he disappeared into the night she just blinked at him and then suddenly, as everything caught up to her at once, she sank to the ground with her face in her hands sobbing…

~o~

As the portrait hole swung open fiercely, the laughter of the three Marauders sitting around the fire was silenced by an irate James bounding up the stairs in a temper.

“Hey Prongs, what’s up?” called Sirius cautiously, exchanging a meaningful glance with Remus. He was answered with a violent slam of the door.

“So he found Lily then?” said Remus calmly. Peter flinched as they heard another loud crash from upstairs, and Remus sighed solemnly, taking a sip of hot chocolate.

*

“ARGH!” roared James kicking his bedpost.

His heartache overcame his anger as he breathed deeply; closing his eyes he sat on his bed, trying to make sense of everything that had just happened…

“…since the very beginning you have been egotistical and conceited in every situation…you think you’re better than everyone else because you can play Quidditch and girls will swoon for you, well not me. I’m not impressed by your arrogance…the way you treat others…like you’re better than them… disgusts me.”

He moaned painfully and put his head in his hands. She thinks I’m arrogant? Remus had begun to berate him this year when he said something cocky, telling him it would come back to bite him in the arse “ he, of course, had paid his well-meaning friend no mind. James fell on his back letting his mind swarm with thoughts. One particularly clear day in fifth year kept pushing its way to the front. Half a smirk crossed his face as he remembered Snivellus hanging upside down, his scrawny chicken legs protruding from the pair of graying underpants clearly on display for the student body. Then he remembered her “ how those startling green eyes had burned furiously…

“You think you’re funny,” she said coldly. “But you’re just an arrogant, bullying toerag, Potter…I wouldn’t go out with you if it was a choice between you and the giant squid.” *

Surely she could tell that every time he rumpled his hair it was for her, every time he played with a snitch it was to impress her, every time he teased her to go out with him it was only a cover so she wouldn’t see how vulnerable he was, how desperately in love he was.

He reached for the pillow and smothered his face in it, trying to make the memory go away, trying to erase every time he’d been an immature, arrogant bullying toerag. There were only a few weeks before summer -- he sat up quickly looking around the room, determined to make amends. Without any idea what he was going to do he began to wander around the room, treading carelessly over the clothes scattered on the floor and avoiding the books he had previously hurled on the ground in anger (which had caused quite the satisfying crash, and even better, his fellow Marauders were sure to have heard the disturbance “ assuring him a few hours of much needed solitude.)

Nothing, even the hatred she had expressed so fervently could entirely annihilate his hope; love that pure can never completely be extinguished. Impulsively he grabbed a piece of parchment discarded on the ground and a half-broken quill smashed by the books. He sat by the window looking out at the lake, to where all his hopes had rested only an hour before.

Somehow he was going to fix it. Somehow she would see.

~o~

He didn’t speak to her for the remainder of the year; he didn’t come near her if possible. He even avoided his annual dramatic goodbye and passed her without a glance as she stepped off the train at Kings Cross station. James carried the letter with him for a month before he found the courage to send it. It shouldn’t have been as hard as when he had finally expressed his love, but after such a forceful rejection he was rightfully hesitant to make any contact with her.

~o~

It was a cool summer night and Lily was resting in a hammock in her back yard, enjoying the solitude when a small owl arrived bearing a worn letter. Lily opened it curiously but froze as she recognized the handwriting “ it was messier than usual, as though written with a shaky hand, but it was undoubtedly his. At first she intended to throw it away without even reading it, but curiosity got the better of her and with a deep breath she looked back at the note.

Lily,

Don’t throw this away. You’ve made your feelings quite plain, but I have to clarify what happened with Cliff. I should have explained, well I did try, but you wouldn’t listen. Please just read this, you deserve to know the truth.

It was nearly the end of school, at the Hogsmeade trip when Cliff told you he was studying in his common room. I was in Hogsmeade with Remus. Peter was prohibited from coming due to some ridiculous charge about exploding cauldrons in Potions, Sirius was off with Kate, and you were back at Hogwarts. Seeing as it was the last trip it was packed, so we decided to take a walk and get away from it all for a while. Well, something important to the story that you don’t know, I have an invisibility cloak.


Lily stared at the words for a minute, and as flashes of odd moments over the years and pranks she could never understand passed through her mind, comprehension dawned on her -- so that’s how he does it, she thought rolling her eyes.

Well, they couldn’t see us, but we could see them. Lily, we saw Cliff whispering with Mariah, and she was blushing pretty noticeably. Well, they looked around them, to make sure they were alone, and he took her hand and they slipped into an alley and, I’m really sorry Lily, but they started snogging right then and there.

She couldn’t react, he cheated? Shaking her head furiously she decided it was impossible, how dare James lie to her! She crumpled the paper tightly into a ball and chucked it across the garden with a power that would have impressed even Gryffindor’s chasers. In a minute though, she was swinging clumsily out of the hammock as she rushed off, searching frantically in the direction it had flown. She squeezed between two bushes lining the side of her house, her bare arms getting scratched in the process. The sun had finally set and she cursed under her breath, unable to see anything. This is ridiculous! Without a thought to the Decree for the Reasonable Restriction of Underage Sorcery, the International Confederation of Wizards’ Statute of Secrecy, Hogwarts or the Ministry of Magic, or anything other than reading the remainder of that letter, her wand was out in a second as she exclaimed “Accio letter!” The tiny ball flew at her, bouncing off her stomach and landing gently at her feet. Exasperatedly she bent down and picked it up, smoothing it out the best she could. She said “Lumos!” softly and continued reading eagerly.

If you don’t believe me, Remus knows everything “ seeing as he was the one who convinced me not to beat Cliff to a ruddy pulp in the first place “ he insisted you would want to deal with him yourself. I tried to tell you, I came back to find you as soon as I could, but you wouldn’t listen. I couldn’t bear to see you hurt so I took matters into my own hands.

I found the git and threatened him. I told him that I knew what he had done with Mariah, and not only would I hex him with so many curses that even Madame Pomfrey couldn’t put him back together, but I would tell you and the whole school what dung he was if he didn’t stay away from you. He started getting angry, saying I wouldn’t, he’d take care of me… so I let him have one. I told him he’d get another if he told you what I’d done, and, well, that’s what happened. I don’t know what you thought, but, it’s the truth. I can’t imagine how awful this must be to hear, but you had to know

As to the rest of what you said, I have no excuses, and can only apologize sincerely.

James


In shock she stared dumbly at the paper for a moment letting it all sink in. She gulped and then biting her lip, relit her wand and read it through twice more. Slowly she noticed the taste of blood coming from biting so hard in agitation, and licking it she sank against the side of the house, hidden completely behind the bushes. A twig scratched her face, but she barely noticed. She leaned her head against the wall and clutched her legs to her tightly; her eyes blurred with tears as she tried to convince herself he wasn’t worth it, and though tears and the thought of his black eye were a small consolation, for some reason she couldn’t seem to comfort a pain in her heart that she couldn’t entirely attribute to Cliff…




*Of course this memory is directly Jo’s. It’s from OOTP, American ed. Pg. 647. Not mine!

Well guys, over two months later here’s the next installment. I have a ton of excuses, some far better than others, but I’ll leave you with only one “ the fact that I wrote and rewrote and rewrote this chapter too many times to count, and then when I was finally satisfied…. I somehow managed to lose it. Staring at the blank screen trying to start all over after so much work was just too much so I kinda gave up for a bit, and by the time I was ready to try again I figured I didn’t have any readers left anyway (judging by the measly 5 reviews in the last chapter…) Aaaanyway, that’s my sob story, good news “ with renewed vigour I searched my computer again tonight and found it filed under “Ch. 17 Government notes”… well, that’s apparently what happens when you take a harry potter homework break at 3 am…

Thanks to my amazing beta stickm, she is an incredible asset and has helped me immensely!

If I have any readers left, please leave me a review -- if you’re a writer yourself then you know how much it means to see someone actually enjoyed your effort. I’ll get the next chapter up quickly “ the story is completed so there shouldn’t be anymore hold ups! I appreciate your patience guys!
YEAR SEVEN by The Marauder
Ch. 8: YEAR SEVEN (CHRISTMAS EVE)



Lily had mixed feelings about coming back to Hogwarts for her seventh year. Sure, like the rest of her peers she was eager to see her friends again, especially Kate, she was nervous about NEWTS, and both sad and excited about it being her last year. However, it wasn’t Kate or NEWTS she had been thinking about all summer; it was James Potter.

She couldn’t get him out of her head. Every time she playfully teased Petunia that she was going to hex her she thought how James would laugh at it, and how much she loved his laugh.

When Kate owled her about seeing the World Cup in France, all she could think about was how much James had wanted to go and wondered if he and Sirius had snuck out on their brooms like they had informed most of the student body they would.

Everything reminded her of him, and it confused her. She wasn’t sure how to feel about him anymore. Of course she now understood the Cliff situation, and deep down knew she was grateful he had helped, or she could still be dating the two-faced wanker…but, then again, it had been James’ constant pride and arrogance that had bothered her so in the first place. And even if she sorted out her feelings, what could she say after she had lashed out at him so venomously?

* * *

As the train picked up speed leaving King’s Cross station far behind, James sat stiffly, absentmindedly tracing the lines of his head boy badge in his hand.

“I’m so hungry!” moaned Peter for the third time. He looked around expectantly at the other Marauders but they ignored him. He sighed dramatically and looked out the window sadly, “Really really hungry…”

Remus groaned and rolled his eyes, “Alright, alright!” He exclaimed exasperatedly standing up, “Come on, I’ll go with you to find the snack cart.”

Peter’s beady eyes glowed eagerly as he jumped up licking his lips in anticipation of the treats awaiting them. He led the way and Remus followed, pausing at the door.

“Want anything?” he asked tiredly.

James remained impassive, and with a quick glance to his companion, Sirius looked back at Remus and shook his head, his eyes speaking the only message necessary. Remus looked sadly at James and then back at Sirius, nodding his head meaningfully towards James. Sirius answered with a half smile and Remus gave in to Peter tugging impatiently on his sleeve.

The compartment was silent and Sirius, sitting across from James, watched him, pondering how to treat his sullen friend -- something he was not very accustomed to doing with the typically content James.

“Shouldn’t you be going to the Heads' Compartment?” he asked, hearing his falsely happy voice linger in the air as it broke the silence.

James gave no recognition of hearing him.

Sirius waited a minute, tilting his head to the side impatiently, and then kicked his friend in the shin.

“Ow!” yelped James, jumping and looking up startled and annoyed. Upon seeing Sirius watching him intently, he rumpled his hair irritably. “What?”

“What’s up, mate?” asked Sirius seriously.

James looked down quickly, pretending to once again amuse himself with his badge. “What are you talking about?” he asked nonchalantly.

“Cut it out,” said Sirius getting up and sitting next to him and nudging him amiably with his elbow, “What’s up?”

James rolled his eyes and looked away sighing heavily, “It’s nothing…” he trailed off mumbling.

Sirius didn’t answer and James, now feeling the heavy silence around him, shifted uncomfortably and looked back at Sirius pleadingly. Sirius just watched him silently and James looked back down at his badge.

“It’s just “ you know it’s her!” he exclaimed hopelessly, “We all know he made her Head girl, and now, well, I don’t know what to say, or how to act around her!” He paused, surprised by his own sudden confession.

“Well,” said Sirius, contemplating what had just been said in a rare moment of open sincerity, “just be yourself, mate. Stop trying so hard to impress her, or, well, basically stop everything you would normally do around her,” he finished jokingly.

“Ha, ha,” muttered James sullenly.

“Look, I mean, do you really honestly love her as much as you say?” asked Sirius curiously.

James looked up slowly and then blinking once, he nodded his head.

“Then you have to let her see the real you! Otherwise, even if by whatever miracle you were to end up together, it would all be a lie. Just cut out the crap and be Prongs.”

James mulled this all over and then nodded, standing up quietly to go the Heads' compartment. He paused at the door anxiously, speaking quickly, “But you know she’s going to be furious it’s me, and even worse “ disappointed. I don’t know if I can be all studious and responsible!” he said solemnly as if speaking despicable curses, and then lowered his voice. “What if I don’t live up to her expectations?”

Sirius thought about this a minute, and then flashed a devilish smile, “No worries there mate “ you haven’t done that once in the last six years and you’ve survived!”

* * *

The year was now nearly half over and it was nothing like Lily had expected. Except for what was absolutely necessary for Head Boy and Girl duties, James barely said a word to her. The first day back when she looked up to find him entering the Heads' compartment she had been stunned, completely floored, upon seeing that Dumbledore had selected him as Head Boy. After meeting the prefects, she had tried to find some words to express everything she was feeling at once “ the embarrassment, regret, and gratitude “ but it was all mixed into confusion, and as the train slowed to a stop and she opened her mouth to speak, James nodded solemnly and left without one avoidable word.

Since then the pattern had continued. She continually berated herself for not having the courage to go up to him and apologize and thank him, but her own fear held her back, or was it pride? In return he was pleasant enough, but he never looked her in the eye if he could help it, and when he did, the sadness in them depressed her. He was nothing like he used to be, he was subdued and quiet and she felt it was all her fault.

During another silent patrol down the hall one night, after quite a bit of pondering, she had come to the conclusion that he had an endearing personality “ now that he had stopped asking her out incessantly “ at times he was actually rather funny and quite clever as well. But he didn’t laugh much anymore, and he never told flamboyant stories to crowds of fawning girls. She hadn’t seen him tease Snape once, and she even thought she saw him restraining Sirius a couple times “ something he would have never done before.

She thought she caught him looking at her once, but he looked away so quickly she figured she must have imagined it; after all, there was no chance he could still care for her, much less love her, and though she wasn’t entirely sure why, it was a weight on her heart and she couldn’t stand him thinking ill of her.

As she entered the common room she checked the notice board to see how many other seventh years were staying for Christmas:

Sirius Black
Charlotte Brooks
Lily Evans
Kate Locks
Remus Lupin
Peter Pettigrew
James Potter (her heart fluttered, and she paused, surprised)

It was a small group, but most people were going home to visit their families. Kate had stayed for her, and she was sure the other marauders had stayed with Sirius, as they always did, because he never wanted to go home if he could help it.

Her family was going to meet Petunia’s obnoxious boyfriend and his parents because she insisted he was “the one,” but threw a fit when her parents suggested Lily come along. It was fine; she had never stayed at Hogwarts for Christmas and thought it would be nice without students bustling here and there.

Christmas Eve came and the Gryffindors threw a party in the common room. There was music and decorations, and James and Sirius had somehow snuck up hoards of snacks for everyone to greedily devour. Lily walked towards the tree in search of Kate and accidentally bumped into someone.

“Oh, sorry!” she exclaimed turning around, but froze as she found herself face to face with none other than James Potter. He looked at Lily taken aback, and then smiled genuinely.

“Hey Evans.”

“Hi,” she blushed and looked away self-consciously. He was acting friendly, as though nothing had ever happened between them, as if they were old friends meeting after years apart. They had never talked about that day, or even the letter, in fact they had hardly said two casual words to one another all semester.

“Are you having a good time?”

“Yeah, the foods great,” she joked, and he smiled back mischievously. “Hey, have you seen Kate lately? I was looking earlier but couldn’t find her.”

He smirked and pointed towards the tree. Kate was sitting very close to Sirius and they were entranced in their conversation.

She laughed, “Our handiwork still paying off I see?”

James smiled knowingly, but the grin slipped off his face as they both remembered the last time they had talked about that, and the outburst that had followed.

Both stood awkwardly for a moment, until James’ voice finally cut through the tension, “Er…maybe we should go talk to them before they begin another infamously long snogging session?”

“Sounds good,” she said smiling gratefully.

She followed him over to the couple, past Remus who was shyly flirting with Charlotte, and Peter who was stuffing his face with bon-bons and chocolate treacle. They sat on the floor by the fireplace. Kate and Sirius didn’t seem particularly thrilled at the interruption, but they were nonetheless welcomed, and the four Gryffindors had a pleasant and enjoyable conversation for hours. Peter fell asleep on the couch, an empty butter beer hanging out of his podgy, chocolate-stained hand, and Charlotte covered him with a blanket and scolded some young fourth-year mischief makers for whatever they were planning to do to him, before she and Remus joined the conversation after a bit, both blushing bashfully.

Lily talked merrily, but kept casting furtive glances at James. She admired his lopsided smile, and his good-natured laugh, which sent tingles down her spine. Over the last year, all the Quidditch he played had paid off, and as he leaned back against his arm, she could see the muscles rippling ever so subtly. Every time she caught herself gazing at him, she shivered, and tried to shake herself out of it. What are you doing?

Finally their private party was broken up, as Peter woke from a bad dream with a yelp and, after trying to smoothly conceal what he’d been up to, came over yawning and they realized it was nearly morning. They agreed they ought to head up to their dormitories and wished one another a Happy Christmas, but as Lily tossed and turned in her sheets, she couldn’t sleep. All she could think about was James.

He had been genial all evening. He was benevolent and witty, and not once did she detect any of the former arrogance that had offended her so much. Something else had been different as well. His stories didn’t seem forced; he seemed naturally pleasant, as if that was how he always behaved with his close friends. When it was 4:30 and she still couldn’t get him out of her head, she realized that there was no ignoring it, and if it hadn’t been so painful she would have laughed at the irony…she had feelings for James.

Authors note (12/26): Hey guys, so heres what happened. I submitted the last chapter before I went off to school, but i got a new computer for school and the story was saved at home. So they did this thing where they cleared all the queues because it was overwhelming or they were redoing the site, i dont remember, but i had no way to submit it again. So sorry you all had to wait, i know i hate when authors dont finish their stories, but i really didn't mean to do that to anyone. Of course, it can't be updated until the holiday break is over and i also have to go searching for it. im not so good with filing things properly, so who knows where i stuck it! but anyway, i'll do what i can to get it to you guys. And I'll send an email to everyone i have on my updates list . sorry for the bother!
YEAR SEVEN PART 2 by The Marauder
Ch. 9: YEAR SEVEN “ CHRISTMAS DAY


When Lily finally woke the next morning from a long night of tossing and turning, she sat up slowly, tenderly rubbing her painful head. She looked around at the deserted room and then noticed a small note on her nightstand.

Lils,

We tried to wake you this morning, but you were pretty determined not to get up…

Images of her kicking and covering her head with the pillow came back to her in flashes and she smiled sheepishly at the note.

We’ll be down at breakfast, so come and find us when you wake up!

Merry Christmas, love!

-Kate


She wiped the sleep from her eyes, and sat still for a moment, letting all the thoughts lost in sleep rush back. She didn’t much want to go to breakfast, so while everyone was gone, she decided she might as well see what gifts she had been given. Lily put on her robe and slippers, and slowly made her way down to the tree. Besides the regular gift from her parents and the cheap one they had forced Petunia to buy her, there were a few colorful packages from her friends. Kate bought her a necklace she had admired at Hogsmeade, Charlotte a small pocket mirror that gave suggestions to it’s viewer (You really out to get more sleep dear, the bags under your eyes are a disgrace!), and Sirius a box of sugar quills, which he knew she loved to suck on while appearing the always studious Head Girl. She looked around -- nothing from James. Well, that’s to be expected I suppose, she thought resignedly, her eyes downcast sadly. She had, she realized forlornly, grown accustomed to odd jokes and trinkets from the handsome, messy haired boy each year. Just as Lily was about to go change clothes, she noticed a small brown package she had missed. She smiled and without seeing a card opened it curiously, gasping as she realized what it was. Lily instinctively looked around, though she knew she was alone, as if to search for some confirmation to what she was holding. As she realized it was true, her eyes filled with tears as she smiled astonished. She was holding a first edition of Alice in Wonderland.

But who? Who would have known?


Slowly her mind drifted back a few years to Kate’s birthday and a small game of two truths and a lie… James. She collapsed against the chair, unable to imagine the trouble he must have gone through to find it…he certainly couldn’t find it in any Wizarding shops, so he must have had to venture into the muggle world. And even then, it had to be arduous to find, not to mention exceptionally expensive! The more she learned about him the more intriguing and amazing she found him, and the more she liked him.

No…she thought. She had liked Cliff; ‘like’ wasn’t seeing his face in her mind constantly, ‘like’ wasn’t her heart aching unbearably as she took in the fact that she had lost him, ‘like’ wasn’t realizing he was the only one she could ever be with…this was love.

Lily was distracted all day. During lunch she realized she couldn’t eat a thing and excused herself quickly, hurrying outside. She needed fresh air. Okay, she loved James. Now what? It was obvious he couldn’t care for her after the verbal whiplash she had given him last year, and he seemed perfectly over it last night, chatting amiably, back to same old James (the good parts at least)…so what was a girl to do? She was pacing back and forth until finally out of mere exhaustion she gave up and sunk down to the ground, leaning against the Great Oak in front of the lake. She was so tired, physically and mentally, and this tree was actually rather comfortable…

* * *

When Lily woke up she was confused where she was, but then she remembered.

James.

She yawned and looked at her watch; she’d been out for over three hours!

“Feel better?”

Startled, she looked around but couldn’t find him. “James? Where are you?”

He laughed, “Up here!” She looked up and he was resting casually in the tree’s branches. “Come on up!”

She laughed and climbed up to the branch across from him, “How long have you been up here?”

“A while.”

“Doing what?”

“Thinking mostly…you talk in your sleep you know?”

“Oh Merlin, what did I say this time?” He smiled and shrugged; Lily groaned playfully, and then upon meeting his sparkling brown eyes, remembered what had sent her outside in the first place became silent, avoiding his gaze. It was too painful to look into his eyes, to see all she’d lost.

When she finally worked up the courage she spoke cautiously, “James, I --” she took a deep breath, “I never thanked you for what you did, helping me out with Cliff…”

He looked at her thoughtfully and then smiled, “Anytime.”

“And James?”

“Mmhm?”

“Thank you for my Christmas present, it was the sweetest…I -- I can’t believe you found it, I can’t believe you even remembered!”

James licked his lips and then eyeing her thoughtfully gave her a quick grin, “I’m glad you like it.”

They were quiet for a while, both thinking about everything that had happened between them: all the rejected dates, the night in sixth year, the letter, Christmas Eve… Lily was lost in her thoughts about how much she adored him and how she had blown it when he spoke, surprising her and bringing her back to the present,

“Look, Lily, you’re too good to mess with me. If you still feel the way you did last year, then tell me now. I still love you so much. This year has been awful not talking to you, and I can’t take it anymore unless I know for sure...“ He sighed, “Say the word now and I’ll never mention it again.” He avoided her face and played with a leaf he had picked from the tree. It was too much for her to grasp.

James loved her? Still? After she had been wretched to him? She tried to find the words to express everything she was feeling, everything she had felt, but she could find none spectacular enough to even come close. James took a deep breath trying to be calm, and just as he was about to speak again he looked up and saw she was crying.

“Oh Lily I’m so sorry, please don’t cry. I shouldn’t have said anything, we were getting along so well and I ruined it! I’m a git, please stop!” his eyes were so sad. She took his hand and he looked back in her eyes surprised.

Lily smiled and choked back a sob, “James, I love you, too. I love you so much.” He looked at her blankly for a minute, and then smiled the lopsided smile that made her heart flutter.

Seven years he had waited for those words and now he realized he would have gladly waited seventy if he’d had to. He carefully climbed over to her branch and they embraced, Lily crying a relieved sob into his shoulder, James holding her closely, protectively.

When they finally pulled apart, he laughed and wiped a tear off her cheek with his thumb, “You only said one word.”

She blinked at him as she tried to steady her racing heart, “What?”

He took her hand in his, interlacing fingers, and she smiled as she realized they fit perfectly.

“When you were sleeping. You just kept saying one word over and over.”

She squeezed his hand, “What did I say?”

He affectionately tucked her crimson hair behind her ear and leaned over to whisper in her ear, “James.”

His breath tickled the nape of her neck and surprised she laughed.

He grinned back, shrugging, “…it gave me hope.”

They gazed into one another’s eyes, and everything in the past was finally left behind. James brushed his hand over her jaw and shaking from his touch she gasped quietly and closed her eyes. Slowly he cupped his hand behind her head, gently drawing her in to kiss her tenderly on the lips. Seven years of love and passion all brought to this one moment.

As their lips parted she rested her forehead on his, breathing deeply, an electricity of love coursing through her veins so strongly she couldn’t move. Finally she looked up and they both stared into each other’s eyes, unable to quite grasp the magnitude of feelings the kiss had sent flowing through them. Lily leaned in and kissed him again quickly before resting her head on his shoulder, his right arm around her affectionately, his left hand still clasping her own small hand, while his thumb stroked hers tenderly. They sat silently for what seemed like an eternity, in ecstasy for the simple joy of being together. The sun began to set and as they watched the colors paint the sky James kissed her on the top of her head and then rested his own on top of hers.

“Merry Christmas Lily,” he whispered.

She closed her eyes and smiled, “Merry Christmas.”




Well that's it, I hope you guys enjoyed reading it and again sorry for the wait! And, if you have been reading, please do me the courtesy of leaving me a review. :)