Innocent! by School owl
Summary: The final war is over and now death eaters are being captured. What happens when Snape is one of them?
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1854 Read: 1592 Published: 02/04/05 Updated: 02/04/05

1. Innocent! by School owl

Innocent! by School owl
Innocent!

The final war was over. The world seemed at peace. Even in a time of peace, there will be war. Hermione, Ron, Ginny and most of the order made it out alive with barely any scratches. As for Harry and Voldemort, Voldemort met his doom by challenging Harry. It was an awful duel that went on for hours. Harry was alone with Voldemort on that windy day. On that windy day, the world was able to live in peace again.

Now, Harry lay in the hospital wing with his injuries and the death eaters were being put on trial. Most were found guilty. The trials would go on for ages and they still weren’t done. Hermione and Ron sat dutifully by Harry’s bedside while he was asleep and while he was awake. The days passed peacefully, until an innocent man was tried for being a death eater. Hermione and Ron were informed and they woke Harry up. “What is it?” Harry asked, noting the fear in their eyes.

“Snape is on trail for being a death eater,” Hermione said.

Harry sat up quickly ignoring the pain in his ribs. “What?” He asked loudly.

Ron sat on the foot of his bed. “Yeah, Fudge says he’s guilty as Voldemort.” Ron said.

Hermione looked at them for a moment. “We have to do something. They’ll give him to the dementors.” Hermione said frustrated.

Ron was thinking when Madam Pomfrey came out. “Please let us stay.” Ron begged before Madam Pomfrey said anything.

Madam Pomfrey smiled and said, “I know that you want to help Professor Snape, so Potter you may go. I never thought I’d say that, but go. You help Professor Snape.”

Harry nodded. “Thank you so much Madam Pomfrey.” Hermione said.

Hermione grabbed Harry’s arm and Ron got Harry’s things. They went to the common room and Harry changed into his clothes in the boy’s dorm. He came out and sat with Hermione and Ron by the fire. “What are we going to do?” Hermione asked.

“When does he go on trial?” Harry asked.

Ron sighed. “Tomorrow, you know, even though I don’t like him I would hate to see him die for something he didn’t do.”

Harry looked at him. “Ron, he was a death eater before. Fudge will argue that we don’t know if he’s on our side.”

“We need something in writing.” Ron said.

Hermione looked dreamily for a moment. “That’s a good idea. We could have a petition, where everyone signs it. It’s not fool proof, but it’s worth the fight.”

Harry smiled. They started with the staff. All of them signed. The Slytherins were next. Once again, all of them signed. The Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs, and the Gryffindors were a little bit harder to convince. Not everyone signed, but most did. It seemed odd that the school would unite for this one man. It’s not like anyone wanted him dead, it’s just that Snape was a little harsh. Severus Snape was a man of mystery; he could be your best friend, or your worst enemy. Hermione, Ron and Harry were ready for the next day.

It was soon the next day. Hermione went over some little things with them about being polite and attempting to smooth out Harry’s hair. “Hermione, it’s not going to stay flat. I’ve been to a hearing before, so it will probably be the same. You know that you’re acting like a mother.” Harry said together.

Hermione caught his words. “Yes, well I just want to make sure everything goes smoothly.” She said.

They were wearing their best dress clothes. Other Hogwarts students would be there for questions. Harry, Hermione, Ron and other students marched on to the Ministry of Magic. They were too late. Snape was already on trial.

The other students were outside the door of the court room and Hermione, Ron and Harry burst into the room. All the heads turned. A booming voice kept speaking, “Severus Snape is found guilty for being a death eater…”

Harry saw it was Fudge and broke in, “He’s not guilty.”

Fudge ignored him and kept talking, “Killing several muggles…”

The dementors moved in on Snape. Harry saw a flash of fear in Snape’s eyes. “I said stop. He’s not guilty.” Harry said.

Fudge kept talking. “Killing several wizards…”

“Stop talking and listen!” Harry yelled.

Harry’s voice echoed. Dumbledore turned and saw them with a smile on his face. “What are your names?” Fudge asked stopping.

“Harry James Potter,”

“Hermione Jane Granger,”

“Ronald Bilius Weasley,”

More heads turned once they heard the names. The dementors stopped. “What business do you have here?” Fudge asked.

Hermione pulled out a piece of parchment. “I have studied the law of the wizarding world for quite some time. In a court case, if someone has evidence or a petition with more than 100 signatures, they may challenge the prosecutor. We have a petition.” Hermione said.

Fudge looked embarrassed. “Are they minors?” He asked looking for a way out.

“Yes, do you have a problem with that?” Ron asked.

Fudge looked relieved. “Minors are not allowed to sign petitions legally. Their signatures don’t count.”

Harry looked angry. “So, minors can fight for freedom and give their lives, but not sign a petition to get back a teacher. Has this world gone mad?” Harry asked.

Most of the witches and wizards in the jury murmured agreements. Fudge nodded. “Let me see than,” He said.

Hermione gave the parchment to him. Fudge nodded. “Well, if you want to challenge us, go on.” He said.

Ron called Neville to the stand. “What’s your worst fear?” Ron asked.

“Professor Snape,” Neville muttered.

Some people looked confused. Whose side are they on anyway? “Why?” Hermione asked.

“Professor Snape isn’t fair to us,” Neville said.

“Was he ever mean to us? Like did he hex us or try to harm us?” Harry asked.

“Well, no. Never, he was just a little strict.” Neville said strongly.

Harry smiled and nodded. “You may step down now.” Harry said.

Neville walked out of the court room and Ginny came in. “Did Professor Snape ever hurt you in any way?” Ron asked.

Ginny shook her head. “No, Professor Snape has always been a little strict. Everyone knows that he’s a slimy git, but that doesn’t make him a bad man. He’s a human and he makes mistakes, but we’re all not perfect.”

There was a small laugh from someone. Harry looked at Snape and knew who it was that laughed.

“Thank you, you may step down now.” Ron said.

Hermione called Draco to the stand. “Did Professor Snape harm you or anyone else?” She asked.

“No, he’s my favorite teacher. He’s always been great to me and the Slytherins. He even gave Harry remedial potions.” Draco said looking at Harry.

Harry smiled at him. “Thank you, you may step down now.”

Ron and Hermione called Harry to the stand. “Did Professor Snape harm you in any way?” Ron asked.

Harry looked at Snape and he nodded. “Well, in a way yes, and in a way no, my father and him had some unfinished business. In my first year, he saved my life. He knew to give me time. In my third year, family history arose and he was angry at me for being my father’s son. In my other years, he has given me extra help. The only reason why Professor Snape is angry at my father is because my father saved his life. Well, also my father was a real jerk. I saw some things that I wish I didn’t see. My father was a bully to Professor Snape. My mother stood up for him though. Professor Snape is naturally trying to figure out who I’m most like. Until he’s sure he has to make sure I won’t hurt him the way my father did. Look, Professor Snape is a human and like all humans, he has made mistakes. My father made mistakes, my mother made mistakes and I too have made mistakes. There is one mistake I will not let happen though if I can prevent it. I will not let an innocent man die!” Harry said.

The crowd and the jury were on their feet applauding. “He’s innocent!” The jury sang.

Hermione, Ron, Harry, Ginny, Neville, Draco and all the others hugged and screamed. Snape looked relieved and sank into his chair. Fudge let him go and Dumbledore talked to him. Snape came near them and they quieted down. “Why is it that you came to my rescue, when I am not always nice to you?” He asked.

“I think that you’re the best teacher ever, we couldn’t let you die.” Draco said.

Snape looked annoyed. “Yes, yes, I know that, but the Gryffindors, why?”

Neville looked at him. “You needed someone to help you.”

Ginny spoke up. “I’m so sorry about that slimy git thing, it sounded good.”

Surprisingly Snape laughed. Not knowing what to say, Hermione said, “We are all on the same side now, we die together, we fight together, we live together and we help each other.”

Her words impacted Snape, he understood her. “Someone had to do something; no one deserves something that they didn’t dish out.” Ron said.

Snape looked at Harry. “I guess that applies to you too Harry. I’m sorry, I judged you too quickly. I thought that you would be just like James. You’re not though, you’re like Lily. She always stood up for me and I called her…” He began.

“A mudblood,” Harry finished for him, “I’ve always acted on instinct and I thought that you were a nasty teacher. I thought you judged me on my fame. I’m really not famous, I’m really not brave, I’m really just me. Hermione and Ron looked under all of the stuff that covers me and see me. I now see you. Do you see me?” Harry asked.

Snape looked at him. “No, I never will. Are we even?”

Harry frowned a bit. “Yeah, we are. The only question is are you and my father even?”

Snape stared at him. Harry walked away with his friends. “Thank you.” Snape called to them.

They turned around and looked at him. “You’re welcome.” Hermione said warmly and they all left for Hogwarts.

The next day in potions nothing changed. The class was working on their potions when Snape randomly said, “Yes, I am.”

Everyone was confused, all except Harry. Harry knew that Snape meant that he was even with Harry’s father.

Hermione, Ron and Harry went through a lot of trouble to save Snape, but it was worth it. They saved an innocent man.

A/N- In the end we let our true colors out, like Hermione, Ron and Harry. When you let yourself out, who will you be?
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=13164