How Do I Love Thee? by Phoebe Cat
Summary: A night out in a pub cause Harry and Ron to have problems with the women in their lives. Will Hermione and Ginny forgive them for being normal sixteen year old boys? According to the reviews, this is a funny story. Please read and review!
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: Substance Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: Yes Word count: 10125 Read: 18077 Published: 02/08/05 Updated: 03/09/05

1. In the Pub by Phoebe Cat

2. In the Boys' Room by Phoebe Cat

3. In the Kitchen by Phoebe Cat

4. In the Doghouse by Phoebe Cat

5. In the Girl’s Room by Phoebe Cat

6. In the Garden by Phoebe Cat

In the Pub by Phoebe Cat
Chapter One -In the Pub




“Happy sixteenth birthday, Harry!” Ron lifted his first beer to his lips.



“This was a great idea, Ron. I don’t think I could have stood one more minute in that house,” said Harry as he raised his pint.



Harry Potter had been at Number 12 Grimmauld Place for two weeks. He thought that any place was better than the Dursley’s but now he wasn’t so sure. Coming here had intensified his depression over Sirus’ death. After almost two months, his grief was still strong, but overtaking him less frequently. Some days he wanted to cry all day and others he managed to smile and even laugh.



Harry took another sip of his beer and wondered why it was so popular. Guess it's an acquired taste, he thought. He looked around the pub. It was rather small and dimly lit. The huge bar had ornate woodwork and mirrors behind it. Music played in the background. There were a few patrons sitting around at tables while some preferred the bar. Ron and Harry had chosen a table in the corner conveniently located near the loo.




“You know Harry, you’ve been through a lot. There is so much tension in that house. What you need is a good shag,” Ron smirked.



“WHAT? ME!” Harry had never heard anything like that from Ron before. “That hurts coming from you,” he grinned, ‘King of the Cold Shower’!”



“What are you talking about?”



“You take quite a few cold showers,” Harry smiled. “It’s Hermione isn’t it? You’re hot for her.” Harry looked directly at Ron.



“Well…well…what about you? I’ve met you in the shower room quite a few times,” Ron stammered. “There must be someone you are…hot for, is that how you put it?”



“No not really. After that disaster with Cho, I don’t think I’m cut out for dating.”



“There must be someone,” Ron continued to chide Harry through their second beer.



“If you give me details about you and Hermione, I’ll tell you who I fancy.”



“There’s nothing to tell. I’m a gutless git. I can’t get up the nerve to tell her that I even like her, let alone do anything more romantic!”



“You mean anything more physical?” Harry said with a smirk.



“Yeah. I think if I so much as touched her hand, I’d explode!” Ron put his hands in his long red hair. “I’m such a prat!” He shook his head. “Such a looser.”



After a few moments of drowning in his sorrows, Ron smiled and looked up at Harry. “OK, your turn. Who is it?”



“Actually there’s no one. I just wanted the dish on you and Hermione.”



“That’s not fair, Harry!” Ron protested.



After of several minutes of Ron’s whining, Harry gave in. “OK if it will get you off my back, how about…erm… your little sister. Yeah, I’m hot for Ginny!”



“Nooo! Not my sweet innocent little Ginny!” Ron said with a panicked look.



“Just kidding, Ron, don’t have a coronary!” Harry laughed as he thought about Ginny. Sweet and innocent. Ginny? What about all of those boyfriends she’s had?



“Ron. I hate to point this out, but Ginny can’t be all that innocent. She has dated quite a few of guys.”



“Not to worry. Fred and George took care of that,” Ron said with a self-satisfied look.



“What do you mean?”



“They put a spell on Ginny. Any boy, who tries to go too far with her, immediately realizes some urgent task he must do and leaves her alone straight away. It’s ingenious! They considered making the consequences worse, like making their hands, or whatever other part they tried to touch her with, burn or fall off. But they figured it would be too easy for Ginny to catch on and lift the spell. Plus they know that she’d curse them into the next century!”



Yeah she probably would. Harry thought. She never let anyone push her around or make decisions for her. Ginny was pretty tough, but she was soft too…pretty… stop thinking about her…sexy...shake it off!…she’s Ron’s little sister for God’s sake!…pretty…hot...



“Earth to Harry! Are you in there?” Ron questioned as Harry stared into space with a smile on his face.



Harry snapped out of his trance-like state and picked up the conversation. “So that’s why she runs through so many guys.” Harry had a concerned look on his face.



“Yeah. After they ditch her in the middle of enough snog sessions, she gets pissed off and moves on.”



“Isn’t that a little unfair?" Harry said. “I mean, to Ginny. Shouldn’t she be able to date in a…normal fashion?”



“A brother’s got to do what a brother’s got to do. It’s for her own good anyway.”






Harry and Ron ordered their third beers when two girls sat down at the bar.



“Harry, look at those two. Hot, hmm?”



“Is that all you think about Ron?”



“No, but it beats the hell out of thinking about You-Know-Who.”



“Well, I’ll give you that.” Harry raised his mug in another toast.



Harry was starting to feel the effects of the alcohol. He was more relaxed than he had been in months. He looked around the pub and wondered if anyone else there had a life like his. I'm probably the only sixteen-year-old who has had so much life experience but I know nothing about girls. Why do I keep thinking about girls...Ginny?



Ron brought him out of his thoughts, “You know, Harry. We could probably pick up some muggle girls real easy. We could just do a little magic and really impress them.”



“Yeah, and get expelled in the process! No thanks.”



“Just an idea.” Ron left his chair and headed toward the bar. “Let’s see if we can do it with just our charm and wit.”



Harry was leary, but he followed Ron over to the bar. The girls were very pretty and appeared to be a few years older than the boys.



“Hi! My name’s Ron. Ron Weasley. Do you come here often?”



“What a horrible pick-up line!” The girl with blonde hair laughed.



“Can your friend do any better?” The brown haired girl looked appraisingly at Harry.



“Yes as a matter of fact, I think I can. Let’s see….Hello. My name is Harry Potter. I’m a famous wizard, I fight dragons and kick bad-guy ass.”



“You are good. I don’t think I’ve heard that one before. Where do you keep your wand?” The girl with brown hair asked with a flirt.



“In my pocket of course!”



The boys enjoyed their fourth beer with the girls at the bar. The drinks had certainly made it easier to talk with strangers especially pretty ones. Harry wondered why Ron couldn't be this open around Hermione. When the girls had to leave, Harry and Ron returned to their table.




“Rotten luck! I can’t believe they let us buy them a beer and then left to meet their boyfriends!” Ron once again grabbed his hair between his fingers. He ordered his fifth beer.



Harry made a toast. “To women! I’ll always love them, but never understand them!



“I’ll drink to that!” Ron laughed.



Ron’s thoughts turned to Hermione. If she was here right now I think I could tell her. I wish she were here. I wish I could talk to her. Ron got a sudden look of comprehension.



“Harry, do you have any muggle coins? I need to make a phone call.”



“What?” Harry looked surprised. Ron was not accustomed to using a muggle telephone.



“I thought I might give Hermione a call. There’s a fellyphone just there by the loo.”



“Oh no! No drinking and dialing! Ron you will regret it in the morning! There’s no telling what you might blurt out!”



“It’s OK. I just want to say hello.”



“NO Ron! Trust me on this.”



After ordering another beer (that’s six”if you’re counting), Harry headed for the loo for the third time that evening. He wondered how beer could make you so intoxicated since it didn’t stay with you very long. When he returned, he found that Ron couldn’t resist temptation. He was on the telephone. Where had he found the coins? Before Harry could stop Ron he heard:



“Yes. Hello. Mr. Granger, this is Ronald Weasley. May I please speak to Hermione.”



Ron paused as Mr. Granger replied.



“Yes sir, I realize that it is late, sir. But this is important…sir…”



Another pause.



“Oh”hey”erm--‘lo ‘Mione.”



During his pause, Harry could hear Hermione’s voice from four feet away as she screamed into the telephone.



“No, no, everythin’s OK. I didn’t mean to scare you. Har and I were just out celebating...celebrating his birdday...birthday and I wanted to hear your voice.”



Pause.



“We’re in a muggle pub! It’s great!”



Pause.



“Well we got out of Nuber...Nuber...Number 12 under Harry’s cloak. Then it was only a few blocks here.”



Pause.



“It’s OK. We have our wands. We’ll be safe.”



Pause.



“You know Hermione, there’s summat I have to tell you.”



Oh no, thought Harry, here it comes.




"They were all for you…”



Pause.



“They were all for you…”



Pause.



“All of those cold showers. They were all for you.”



At this, Harry grabbed the receiver from Ron. “Hi Hermione, its Harry.”



He held the receiver away from his ear to avoid any permanent hearing loss from Hermione’s yelling.



“Yeah, I think he’s a little drunk,” Harry said into the receiver, “I guess we both have had too much.”



Pause.



“If he remembers this phone call in the morning, he’ll never be able to face you!”



Pause.



“Yeah, we'll be heading back to Number 12 straight away. I don’t think we could fight off any death eaters in this condition.”



Pause.



“Bye Hermione. See you tomorrow night! We should be over our hangovers by the time you arrive.”



Harry looked at his friend who was bent over with his face in his hands. “How could you let me do it Harry? Why didn’t you stop me?”



Harry just shook his head and led Ron out of the pub. “What a prat!”




A/N: I do not own these characters, they belong to J.K.R.

'How Do I Love Thee' is a poem by Elizabeth Barrett Browning. Its from "Sonnets From the Portuguese"


Alcohol is extremely dangerous. Even at low blood alcohol concentration, motor function is impaired and serious accidents are possible. Intoxication to the point of nausea/vomiting and amnesia is perilously close to the lethal range. Death can occur by aspiration of vomit (breathing vomit into your windpipe), or by spontaneous respiratory arrest (just stop breathing) because of the depressant effects. Alcohol poisoning is especially common in young, inexperienced drinkers who don't realize that a few shots over a short period can be deadly. Don't drink if you're underage, don't drink and drive, and if you're of age and choose to drink, do so responsibly and carefully! ( this warning was copied with permission from HP and the Third Prophecy by deatheaterjb - thanks jb!)
In the Boys' Room by Phoebe Cat
Chapter Two - In the Boy’s Room



Ginny tiptoed down the hall to the room her brother had shared with Harry Potter for the last two weeks. It was almost midnight but she figured they were still awake. She had left a book in their room earlier so she would have an excuse to come back later. She tapped lightly on the door, but got no answer. She slowly opened the door so not to wake them. The light from the hall swept over the room, but no one was there.



They must have sneaked down to the kitchen for a snack. Ginny sighed. I’ll just find my book and be off before they get back. She spotted her copy of Quiddich Through the Ages on the bedside table but something else caught her eye.



It was a note addressed to “anyone who finds this.” Ginny recognized Ron’s handwriting and quickly opened the note.



To Whom It May Concern:

Harry and I have gone out for a short while. We will return soon. Do not worry.

Ronald Weasley




Ginny panicked. What were they thinking! No place was safe these days, especially for Harry Potter. She knew she had to tell someone. But if they were OK, she would just end up getting them in terrible trouble. Maybe they would be back soon. She decided to wait ten minutes to see if they returned before alerting the guard.



Ginny sat down on the bed and mindlessly thumbed through her book. She looked down at her nightgown. I really should have put on my robe before coming to Harry’s room, she thought. She was wearing a short blue cotton gown that showed off her petite figure. Feeling a bit sleepy, she laid her head back. She realized immediately that she had chosen Harry’s bed to rest on. She could smell his shampoo on the pillow. A calm came over her as she pictured his emerald green eyes and messy raven hair. She smiled at the picture of him that her mind’s eye drew. Harry in his quiddich uniform, looking very handsome, smiling as he held up the snitch. Stop it! Just stop it. You made a big enough of a fool of yourself that first year at Hogwarts.



Fortunately for Ginny, Harry had never reminded her of the crush she had on him or that stupid singing valentine she sent. He must have known the kind of things she had written about him in Tom Riddle’s diary. But he had not teased her about any of this, and in spite of it, they had become good friends.



Ginny tried but she couldn’t get Harry off her mind. Thoughts of him consumed her. She rolled over and put her face into his pillow. She started to fantasize about how it would feel to have him lying next to her, holding her, kissing her…



A commotion in the hallway startled her awake. Ginny looked at the clock and saw that it was after two a.m. Oh my gosh! I fell asleep! She rushed to the bedroom door and opened it but no one was there.



Just then Harry and Ron came out from under Harry’s invisibility cloak and stumbled into the room laughing hysterically. “What’s this? Drunk and Drunker?” Ginny was annoyed.



The boys hardly noticed Ginny as they continued to laugh. “Did you see how that blonde grabbed my”" Ron was stopped in mid sentence.



“Shhh!” Ginny tried to quite them. “You’ll wake the whole house. Where have you been! I was worried sick! Something awful could have happened!” Ginny’s hands were on her hips. She was looking and sounding very much like her mother.



“But it didn’t, so don’t worry little sister.” Ron patted Ginny on the head and collapsed face first onto his bed.



Ginny looked alarmed. “Don’t worry, he’ll be OK. Just needs to sleep it off.” Harry chuckled.



After they took off Ron’s shoes and threw a blanket over him, Ginny turned to Harry, “And you? I suppose you are sober?”



“No. Not exactly. But I do seem to be fairing better than Ron.”



“Well where have you been?”



“We went to a muggle pub.”



“Are you crazy? What if someone had seen you? Someone…you know, someone undesirable.”



“You mean like Voldemort?" Harry raised his eyebrows and spoke in a spooky voice.



“You know what I mean!” She pushed him in the chest with both hands causing him to stumble backwards.



Harry chuckled. “I’m sorry we scared you, Ginny. We just had to blow off some steam after being cooped up here for so long. After all it was my birthday.”



“But Harry, we offered to have a special celebration for your birthday and you said ‘No.’ We could have had decorations and cake and food and presents!”



“Well, I really didn’t feel like making a big deal out of it. Ron had this idea, and I just wanted to see what it might be like to be a normal teenager for a change.”



Harry sat down on his bed and he patted to spot beside him. When Ginny sat beside him he felt a warm rush fill his body. Is that the alcohol? He realized that Ginny was sitting so close to him that he could feel her, but the heat he was feeling was coming from inside. Just tell her the story. Don’t look at her, don’t feel her touch. Harry finally relaxed and focused on the adventures of the pub. They laughed when he told her about Ron trying to pick up muggle girls. He finished by telling her about the phone call to Hermione.



“Can we just keep this whole thing between us?” He asked.



“OK, I won’t tell anyone. But if you pull anything like this again, I’ll…I’ll…put a bat-bogey hex on both of you.” Ginny smiled.



At that moment, Harry seemed to loose his inhibitions. “Speaking of hexes, there’s something I’m curious about.” Harry said, with a devilish grin on his face. “Come here.” He stood up, facing Ginny and pulled her close. “Um, let’s see.”



Harry put both of his hands on her waist. They looked each other in the eye. “Erm, nothing.” He said. Ginny had a confused look on her face. Harry looked at her like he was trying to figure out how to work a new gadget. He reached both arms around her hips and put his hands on her butt.



“What do you think you are doing?” Ginny quickly jerked away from him.



“An experiment.” He laughed and pulled Ginny back onto the bed and his hands continued to roam.



SMACK! It only took Ginny about thirty seconds to slap Harry in the face.



“Ouch! That hurt!”



“What do you expect? Coming home drunk and trying that stuff on me. Really Harry! If you are interested in a girl, you should start a little slower.”



Harry just smiled in his drunken stupor. “I think it wore off.”



“What wore off? What are you talking about?”



“Oh, nothing. See you in the morning, Ginny.” Harry fell back into his pillow and fell asleep with a smile on his face.



Ginny didn’t bother to remove his shoes or cover him with a blanket. She stormed out of the room in a huff. Under her breath she whispered, “What a prat!”





A/N: I know its not like Harry to feel up Ginny, I had to get him drunk to make him do it!
In the Kitchen by Phoebe Cat
Chapter 3 “ In the Kitchen




The next day, Harry managed to drag himself down to the kitchen by two in the afternoon. So this is a hangover. He thought. I feel like some tiny elves crawled into my mouth and knitted sweaters on my teeth. His head was throbbing and his stomach churning.



He was relieved to see that no one was around. Most everyone had jobs or Order business to attend to, so the kitchen was empty. Mrs. Weasley had left food from both breakfast and lunch out for Harry and Ron. She hadn’t bothered to wake them. That was unusual.



Harry got a glass of water and sat down. He considered eating, but wasn’t sure he could keep anything down. He began to re-live the events of the night before. Suddenly he remembered what he had done to Ginny. I can’t believe I did that. I’ve only kissed one girl one time and then I go and pull something like that on Ginny. My best friend’s little sister. What was I thinking? That’s it, I wasn’t thinking. It was the alcohol. But still that’s no excuse.



Then a little smirk came across his face. It had felt nice…touching Ginny. Her skin was so soft and smooth. Harry shook his head as if to shake out that thought. Get a grip, Potter she’s Ginny…your best friend’s sister…your friend…just friends…just friends?



At that moment, Ginny came into the kitchen.



The grin on Harry’s face didn’t do anything to placate her anger.



“Gin, I’m sorry…” he began apologetically.



Before he could get it out, Ginny grabbed an apple and headed for the door. “I don’t care to talk to you, Harry Potter.” She said with an angry look. Just as she got to the door she turned around and threw the apple at Harry hitting him in the head!



She stormed out of the kitchen almost knocking down a groggy Ron who had somehow managed to crawl down the stairs. His hair was messier than Harry’s (if that’s possible) and he was still wearing the clothes he had worn to bed.



“What’s her problem?” Ron said angrily.



It wasn’t going to be easy to tell Ron what had happened after he passed out, but Harry figured he might as well get it over with. Ron would find out sooner or later and it would be better coming from Harry than someone else.



“I have to tell you something about last night, mate.”



“Let me get some water first,” Ron mumbled. “I think I’m going to be sick.” Ron headed for the sink, but he suddenly broke into a run and headed out the back door. The sound of Ron retching in the yard almost made Harty toss his cookies too.



Ron returned to the kitchen and got some water. “So, what’s up?” He scratched his aching head and sat down opposite Harry.




“Well, I think that spell that Fred and George put on Ginny has worn off.” Said Harry tentatively.




Ron reached for a strip of bacon and then changed his mind. “What makes you say that?”



“After you were asleep last night, I tested it.” Harry said with a wince. He paused to see if Ron comprehended what he had just said.



“How could you test it? He paused. “Wait a minute,” Ron suddenly understood, “What did you do to my sister?” Ron glared at Harry. Then a look of relief came over his face. “Well you couldn’t have gotten too far, with the spell and all.”



“That’s what I’m trying to tell you. I got far enough to know that there is no spell or at least it’s worn off. When I touched her, I didn’t suddenly have an urgent errand to run nor did anything of mine fall off!” Harry pulled back from the table a bit to get out of Ron’s reach. “But you don’t have to worry about Ginny,” he added, “She can take care of herself. She slapped me harder that that Hungarian Horntail did during the Tri-Wizard Tournament!”



“No wonder she’s mad at you. Harry, how could you do that to her?” Ron looked disappointed at his best friend. “What exactly did you do?”



“Ron, please don’t make me give you all of the details. Let’s just say that I did something very stupid and now I know that there is no hex,” said Harry shamefully.



Ron sat there looking at Harry. “I don’t know whether to challenge you to a duel or just kick your ass right here. I never thought you would do something like this.”



“I never thought I’d do something that stupid either.” Harry hung his head. “I just wasn’t myself and Ginny was there in our room…” in that skimpy gown. He hoped he hadn’t said that last part out loud. “But that’s no excuse. I’m a real shit.”



Ron thought it over for a few minutes. If it had been any other guy, he would have already punched him out. At least Harry had owned up to his mistake. “I guess you are the only guy that would have been honest with me about it.” Ron looked Harry in the eye, the former breathed heavily, trying to cool down.


Harry looked relieved that Ron calmed down a bit. “There is something else I should to tell you.”



“What else did you do Potter!” Ron stood up again pulling back his fist in anger.



“Nothing! This is about what you did!”



“Me? What are you talking about?” Ron said with a puzzled look on his face.



“Do you remember calling Hermione from the pub last night?”



“Oh yeah! I called to say hello.” Ron smiled at the thought of Hermione. She would be there in just a few hours.



“Ron, that’s not all you said” Harry told Ron what he had said to Hermione word for word.



When he finished Ron had his hands in his hair with ginger locks tangled in his fingers. “Bloody hell! Harry why didn’t you stop me! Why?”



“I tried mate, you just wouldn’t listen. I did finally manage to wrestle the phone out of your hand. When I spoke to Hermione, she was livid! So I guess when she arrives tonight, we’ll both be in the doghouse!”


Ron put his head down on the table and said to himself, “What a prat!”
In the Doghouse by Phoebe Cat
Chapter 4 “ In the Doghouse



Ginny stayed in her room for most of the day. Harry had knocked once only to hear; ”If that’s you Harry Potter, I said I don’t care to speak to you!” Later he slipped a note under the door that simply read: I’m sorry, Ginny -- Harry.


*




Harry and Ron were helping Mrs. Weasley in the kitchen when Hermione arrived that night. Her parents brought her to meet Mr. Weasley after work outside the Ministry and the two had flooed to Number 12.



Harry greeted Hermione with a big hug. “It’s great to see you, Hermione.” They both looked at Ron who looked sheepishly back at Hermione. She immediately turned to Mrs. Weasley. “Mrs. Weasley, thank you for having me.“



“Oh Hermione dear, we are so glad you could be here.” Molly Weasley exclaimed. “We will have dinner ready shortly. Ron, why don’t you help Hermione with her trunk.”



Hermione turned to Harry, ignoring Ron. “Harry will you help me with my trunk? I have your birthday present in there and I want to give it to you.”



Harry picked up the trunk and they proceeded up to the room she would be sharing with Ginny. Hermione started to open the door, but Harry stopped her. “I’m not welcome in there. You‘ll have to take it from here.” He sat down her trunk.



“What on earth are you talking about, Harry?” Hermione was puzzled.



“Let’s just say I’m not Ginny’s favorite person right now. I’m sure she will fill you in on the details.”



Hermione looked puzzled. She hadn’t known Harry and Ginny to argue. She couldn’t imagine what they were up to. “Well wait, let me get your present.” Hermione opened her trunk. She pulled out a small package. Harry opened it to find a small book.



Sonnets From the Portuguese, what’s it about?” Harry was not familiar with the book.



“It’s a book of love poems. They are really quite beautiful.” Hermione smiled sweetly at him.



Harry looked a little alarmed. “Hermione…do you fancy me?”



“Oh, of course not!” Hermione laughed. “I just thought you might need some help the next time you fancy someone. It may help give you the words to express your feelings.”



“Feelings? What feelings?” He pulled a face.



Hermione just shook her head and turned to enter the bedroom.



“Thanks, Hermione. It may take a lot more than this to help me talk to girls.” He started down the stairs and looked back at her, “By the way, Ron really feels badly about that phone call. You should at least hear him out.”



As he continued down the stairs, Hermione entered the room to the sound of Ginny squealing at the sight of her best girl friend. Harry loved that squeal. Too bad she wouldn’t be squealing at the sight of him ever. What am I thinking? Harry scolded himself. She’s just a friend…was just a friend. Now she was an ex-friend. He thought sadly.




*





Dinner was a bit strained that evening between the fighting foursome, but with all the commotion of the Weasley family, no one noticed except for Mrs. Weasley.



Since Ginny wouldn’t look at Harry, he had several opportunities to stare at her without being noticed. She really had become pretty. Her long shiny red hair moved when she laughed a Fred’s latest joke. Her eyes sparkled when she smiled at her dad. Her skin was milky white with tiny freckles on her nose. Stop! Stop! Stop! You can’t think of Ginny that way. She hates you now anyway.



Harry recalled a scene from the pensieve where another raven-haired boy had angered the object of his affection. He had been upset with his father when he saw this memory. Now he understood that sixteen-year-old boys seem to just have moments where their lack of maturity comes out.



Ron hardly looked up from his plate. He picked at his food which made everyone think he was ill…or lovesick. “What’s wrong, Ickle Ronnikins? Can’t eat in front of your girlfriend?” George smiled.



“Shut it George!” Ron continued to look down.



The girls excused themselves early and went to their room to avoid further contact with Ron and Harry.



*




The next a day, Molly Weasley had had all she could take. It was hard enough to deal with the stress she was feeling over the impending war. She wasn’t going to have her children fighting with their friends. She asked each one of them separately what was wrong, but none of them gave her an honest answer.



“I’m just worried about my long distance relationship with Dean.”



“No, nothing’s wrong, Mrs. Weasley, I guess I’ve just been a little worried about my homework.”



“Nothing mum, girls are just always cranky. It’s them…not us.”



“I’m still just overwhelmed at being back here in his house” (This was the truth, but not the real answer to her question.)



*




Harry and Ron were playing a game of Wizard’s Chess when Mrs. Weasley approached them, “OK boys, what is going on between you and the girls? I’ve never seen so much tension between you.” She sat down a couple of pumpkin juices for them.



“It’s nothing, Mum. They are just cranky. Maybe it’s their time of the month.” Ron took a large gulp of juice without looking up from his game.



Mrs. Weasley raised an eyebrow. “You will tell me what’s going on. And you will tell me right now!”



Harry drank his juice, hoping that he could avoid talking if his mouth was otherwise engaged.



“Mum, I don’t think we can discuss this with you. You wouldn’t understand. It has to do with…you know…s.e.x.” He spelled the word sex in a whisper. He was suddenly horrified that he had even spelled the word sex in front of his mother.



“I wouldn’t understand? Ronald Weasley, I can assure you that I know something about sex! I do have seven children for goodness sake!” Ron cringed at her words. The thought of his mum having sex made him sick.



“Your father and I never sat you down and talked to you about this. We just figured with five older brothers that you would hear it from them before we could tell you anything. Now, do you and Harry have any there specific questions you want to ask or would it be easier if each of you told me what you did to upset the girls?”



“I guess so.” Ron mumbled.



Ron took a deep breath and started. After a few minutes Harry realized that Ron was telling the whole story. Everything that had happened was just flowing out of his mouth like he couldn’t control it. Veritaserum. She must have given us veritaserum. He thought as Ron continued to spill his guts about the pub, the drinking, the muggle girls and the phone call. He finished the tale with his final drunken plop onto his bed.



Mrs. Weasley turned her attention to Harry. It was now his turn. He suddenly felt ill. He was about to tell Mrs. Weasley that he, Harry, had molested her only daughter. Ginny was her precious daughter. And it wasn’t like they were dating and things got out of hand. She might be able to understand that. But he had just attacked Ginny for no reason.



Harry looked down at the chessboard. He couldn’t look Mrs. Weasley in the eye. He focused on his remaining chessmen and started. “It’s pretty much like Ron said, but he left out one of our topics of conversation at the pub.” He proceeded to tell her about the spell that Fred and George had cast on Ginny. How he was curious about it and wanted to test it out for himself. It was as if someone else was speaking, Harry couldn’t control what he was saying. The truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth kept spilling forth. He tried to hold back comments about how sexy Ginny had looked in her short nightgown, but he couldn’t. He finally heard himself saying “…and that’s when she slapped me.” He still hadn’t looked at Mrs. Weasley.



Ron stood up, knocking the chessboard over. Chessmen flew everywhere. He grabbed Harry by the neck. “You didn’t tell me everything! I’m going to kill you!” Mrs. Weasley quickly pointed her wand at them and said “pertificous partus.” They were frozen in their positions so that they could only move from the neck up.



“Well,” she took a deep breath, “that is quite a story.”




“First of all, going to the muggle pub was a very stupid and dangerous thing to do, not to mention underage drinking. But we will deal with that issue later.” Molly already knew that they had slipped out that night. The adults at Number 12 had suspected the boys would try to go out for Harry’s birthday and decided to let them think they had gotten away with it. They had been followed by a guard and were perfectly safe. A special charm had now been put on the door to prevent any further outings. Now that they had confessed to the crime, she would have to punish them.




“Secondly, Ron, I’m not surprised at your behavior towards Hermione. It’s perfectly normal for young men to become aroused at the sight of a pretty girl.” Ron moaned. He couldn’t stand to hear his own mum talk like this. “Especially if he fancies her.” She added. “You have learned the hard way about how alcohol can affect you. I’m sure you would have said something different to Hermione if you had been sober.” Ron was blushing. How did his mother know that he fancied Hermione?



“Thirdly, Fred and George will be severely punished. The spell they put on Ginny was outlawed in the ‘1969 Witch’s Liberation Movement’. Although I am quite impressed that they were able to research it and perform the spell.” Molly looked away with a satisfied smile on her face. Fred and George had learned something at Hogwarts.



She then turned to Harry, who was still looking down. “And fourth and finally, to you Mr. Harry Potter. I am very disappointed in you.” Harry felt his heart breaking. Mrs. Weasley had always treated him like a son, and now he had disappointed her. “I would have never thought you would take advantage of any young lady, let alone our Ginny! Harry, look at me.”




Harry turned his head he had tears in his eyes, “I’m really sorry.” He said softly.




“I know you are dear.” She pulled him into a hug. He was unable to respond because of the spell she had put on them earlier. He just stood there being hugged by the only woman he had ever considered a mother figure.




“Why are you hugging him? After what he did?” Ron yelled.




“Ron, I have forgiven you and Harry. She turned to Ron. “I love you both and nothing can change that.”




“But, Mum. He hurt Ginny!” Ron scowled.



“Ron, I expect that you should forgive Harry, too. After all he will probably be your brother-in-law someday.”



Harry looked stunned. Could she read his mind? Did she know that he was starting to have feelings for Ginny?



“What? Mum, what are you talking about!”



Molly removed the petrifying spell from the boys after Ron swore he wouldn’t attack Harry again. They sat down and she then explained the intricacies of the Chastity Spell that Fred and George had apparently used on Ginny. She finished with, “So you see, if the spell never allows the witch to become intimate with any man, she could never marry…never have children.”



“So I was right, “ said Harry, “the spell wore off so Ginny could…well…you know…do stuff.”



“Not exactly,” Molly smiled looking fondly at Harry, “the spell doesn’t wear off. When the right man comes along, the spell will simply have no effect on him.”



It took a few seconds for this information to sink in for Harry and Ron. “Does that mean that Harry and Ginny are destined to be together?” Ron asked. Molly nodded with a smile.



Harry was dumb struck. His jaw dropped and his eyes opened wide. We’re destined? Ginny and me. Is that why I can’t stop thinking about her? I’m the right man?



Molly interrupted his thoughts, “Now, the three of us are the only ones who know this and I think we should keep it that way.” Molly pleaded. “If Ginny knew what her brothers did she might hurt them badly. Harry I don’t have to tell you how difficult it can be to have the burden of knowledge about your future.” She looked at him knowingly.



She must know about the Prophesy. Harry thought. “I think it would be better if she didn’t know. At least not any time soon.” Harry said.



“Harry, I do hope that if you become involved with Ginny any time soon, you will show her a bit more respect than you did the other night. You two are certainly too young to be having…that sort of relationship.” Molly hoped she had made her point.


Ron grunted in agreement with his mother. “As for you, Ronald, I see the way you look at Hermione. You remind me of a lion stalking a gazelle! It’s as if you are going to pounce at any minute! You need to get control of yourself before you start any kind physical relationship with her. You are so eager, she wouldn’t have a chance.”



“Mum! I’m not…eager. We’re just friends.”



Molly rolled her eyes. “Your father needs to speak with both of you.” She said as she left the room.



They both hoped that conversation would be later, much later or never.



They began to clean up the chessmen. Ron looked at Harry, his best friend who was to become his sister’s boyfriend, her lover and her husband. He tried to take it all in. He shook his head. “Umph! I still can’t believe you did that to Ginny. What a prat!”
In the Girl’s Room by Phoebe Cat
Chapter 5 “ In the Girl’s Room



“Nothing your brother does would surprise me anymore. He can be such an oaf!”



“But you fancy him anyway, don’t you?” Ginny teased.



Ginny and Hermione had been holed up in their room all day. They had talked non-stop about boys, especially the two boys they were trying so hard to avoid.



“Wha…? No, I don’t…really…we’re just friends.”



“Hermione, how long are you going to keep believing that? You guys are crazy about each other! Why can’t you both just admit it.” Ginny smiled.



“Both? Both? Did Ron tell you anything?”



“He didn’t have to. It’s so obvious. I wish he had the nerve to just tell you!”



Hermione smiled and thought about Ron. He totally exasperated her, but she was drawn to him. When they were together they fought. When they were apart she wanted to be with him. Is that love?she thought. Her smile grew.



“So tell me something. You’ve been best friends with Ron and Harry for five years. How did you come to chose my brother over Harry?” Ginny laughed.



“I didn’t.”



“What! Are you still in denial?”



“I didn’t choose Ron. It wasn’t a conscience choice. It’s just…chemistry I guess.” Hermione explained.



“You never told me what you got Harry for his birthday.” Ginny asked.



“I gave him a book of poetry.” Hermione giggled. “He thought I fancied him! Maybe now if he gets drunk and calls a girl on the phone he’ll have something more romantic to say than what your idiot brother said to me!”




A tear welled up in Ginny’s eye. “Ginny, don’t you want to talk about it. What in the world did Harry do to you?” Hermione moved to sit next to her friend.



After a few minutes, Ginny spoke, “When they came home from the pub, he was a bit forward with me. It was a shock. I just reacted and slapped him in the face.” Another tear fell down Ginny’s cheek.



“Did he kiss you?”



“No. It was totally unromantic. I’m sure it was just because I happened to be the only girl available at the moment.”



“That doesn’t sound like Harry. When he talked to me about just kissing Cho, he seemed terribly shy about it.”



“He kissed Cho?”



“Only once. That’s what he said anyway. Who knows, maybe there’s a side of him we haven’t seen. Still, that just doesn’t sound like the Harry I know.” Hermione said.



“Hermione…” Ginny hung her head lower and continued to cry. “There’s a part of me that wanted to just give in and go with it. It might have been the only chance I ever have to be that close to him.”



“Ginny, do you still fancy Harry? I thought you were over him.”



Ginny nodded her head slowly and cried harder. “Well I am…I was…I guess…I never really was over him. I knew I just had to… move on.” Ginny looked sadly at the floor. “I figured if friendship was all I could have from him, then that’s what I would have to settle for.”



Hermione put her arms around Ginny and held her tight. “Oh, Ginny. You did the right thing. That’s no way to get a boy to like you.”



“I know. But at least I’d have the memory to keep forever. He could have been my first…you know…first…” Ginny looked up at Hermione. “It would be so much easier if I could just hate him! But I can’t.”



*




A few hours later, Mrs. Weasley had packed a nice picnic lunch. There was enough for four hungry teenagers. She sent Harry and Ron into the garden with an old blanket and a basket full of delicious food. They were instructed to wait for the girls to join them.



Molly then climbed to stairs to the room shared by Ginny and Hermione. She knocked on the door.



“Go away! We don’t want to talk to you guys!” Ginny yelled through the door.



“Ginny, dear, it’s me, Mum.” She said as she opened the door.



“Oh, sorry Mum, come in. We thought it was Ron and Harry.” Ginny’s eyes were still red from crying.



“Yes, Ronald and Harry; Just the subject I came to speak with you two about.” Molly said in a displeased manner. She sat down on the bed and faced the two girls sitting opposite her.



“But Mum, you don’t know how they’ve been acting!” Ginny said.



“I know exactly how they have acted. They told me the whole story this morning.” Molly said.



“Mrs. Weasley, I’m sure they didn’t tell you everything." Hermione said.



“Oh but I’m sure they did! I gave them veritaserum in their juice. So I do know everything.” Molly smiled and looked directly at the girls. “Now we are going to have a little talk about you-know-what.”



Ginny’s eyes grew large and she tried to look anywhere than at her mother. Having your mother know that you’ve snogged with a boy is one thing, but having her know this was mortifying! She couldn’t imagine the veritaserum induced Harry discussing what had happened with her mother. And now she, Ginny, was going to have to talk about it!



Hermione was also embarrassed. If it wasn’t bad enough that she had to have the talk with her own mother, now she was going to hear it from the mother of the boy she fancied!



“Hermione, dear, I’m sure that even without your help, Ron would find himself taking a few cold showers. Boys his age are so full of hormonal explosions they cannot control themselves. Unfortunately, they usually are not mature enough to deal with those…um…urges. What he was trying to say to you when he called you, is that he respects you and that he is trying to deal with it without attacking you.” Molly raised her eyebrows and smiled at Hermione.



Hermione bit her lip and nodded. “I guess I was a little hard on him.”



“Now, Ginny, What Harry did was wrong. A young man should never force himself on a young lady. I’m very proud that you stood up for yourself. I know that you fancy Harry and it would have been very easy to just give in to him.”



How does mum know that I still fancy Harry? Ginny thought.



“Even if all you ever have is friendship from Ron and Harry, you will still be very fortunate. They are both fine young men, even if they are romantically challenged. If you do have more meaningful relationships with them, then all the better.” Molly smiled as she patted Ginny’s leg.



“I don’t suppose this is the time to discuss…” Molly leaned in and looked hard at Ginny, then Hermione, “protection?”



“NO!” They both shouted. “We’re not even…NO!” Hermione added.



Molly took Hermione at her word. She hoped that they would come to her in the future if the needed advice on this matter. “Now I have forgiven the boys. I hope that both of you will also accept their apologies. I believe that they are sincerely sorry. You don’t have to do it today. I understand your need to be angry with them. But, we will not have this argument upset the household. No yelling, no slamming doors and no silent treatment at the dinner table. Do you get my drift?”



“Yes, Mum.”



“Yes Ma’am.”



“Ron and Harry are waiting for you in the back yard with a lovely picnic, if you care to join them. But you should hurry, Ron looked awfully hungry when they headed out.” Molly smiled and left the room.



The two girls looked at each other and giggled.



“Boys”



“Yeah, what prats!”
In the Garden by Phoebe Cat
Chapter 6 “ In the Garden



Hermione and Ginny entered the garden. It was lush with summer growth. Although it hadn’t been cared for in many years, trees and flowers in it were still lovely. The smell of honeysuckle drifted through the air. Tonks and Lupin had found the time to at least clear the pathways that led through the garden so that they could walk through without feeling like they were in a jungle.



Continuing down the path, they came to a clearing where Harry and Ron were waiting. The boys did not see them approach because they were lying on their backs looking up at the clouds.



“Hey, that one looks like Hagrid!” Harry said.



“And that one looks like a big set of knockers!" Ron was interrupted.



“Ron, you may want to hold that thought,” Hermione cut him off.



Ron and Harry immediately jumped up stood to greet the girls. Ron almost gasped at the sight of Hermione. She was wearing a pink skirt and matching blouse. He couldn’t remember ever seeing Hermione look so beautiful. What is she trying to do to me! Ron thought.



Ginny was a bit more understated in a pair of faded jeans and a T-shirt with the name of a Muggle rock group on it. Harry would have thought her lovely in a paper bag!



Harry invited them to sit and share their picnic. As they ate sandwiches and fruit, they talked about school, Quiddich and anything except their arguments. When they had finished eating their treacle fudge for dessert, Harry asked Ginny to come with him so he could speak to her in private.



He led Ginny further into the garden, leaving Ron alone with Hermione.



Ron looked at Hermione. She was so pretty. He couldn’t help but stare at her, his mouth slightly open.



“Ron?“



Ron suddenly realized that he has staring at her chest. His eyes immediately met hers. “I’m really sorry about that phone call, Mione,” Ron rushed his words. “I would never want to do anything to hurt our friendship. I depend on you so much. I don’t want to loose you.”



“That’s sweet, Ron. I guess I may have overreacted but you just made me feel like all I was to you was an object. And that hurt,” Hermione said sadly.



Ron looked into Hermione’s eyes. “That’s not all I want to do with you…I want to hold your hand and take a walk by the lake…I want to feel your head on my shoulder …I want to whisper in your ear…I even want to argue with you”“



“You do?” questioned Hermione.



“Yeah. It kinda turns me on," He grinned.



Ron had moved closer and closer to Hermione as he spoke until he was inches from her face. “But right now, more than anything, I want to kiss you…but…I…I…I’m afraid...I don’t know…” He continued to stare into her eyes intently.



Hermione stared into Ron’s deep blue eyes, his gorgeous ginger hair, his cute freckles, and his soft full lips…at that moment, it was Hermione who was overcome by hormones. She tackled Ron throwing him back on the blanket and landed on top of him. She put her hands in his hair and kissed him passionately. When Ron came out of shock he responded. He wrapped his arms around her waist, then moved his hands up and down her back. Hermione moved her hands to his face, caressing every feature. Ron’s hands explored lower…lower…until he could feel the bottom of Hermione’s skirt. Ron rolled her over and was now resting half of his weight on her. They continued kissing. He kissed her lips, her face, her neck and her chest. Hermione’s hands moved inside Ron’s T-shirt. She scratched his back causing him to moan with pleasure. Ron moved his hand down her side feeling the curve that was her waist then to her hip. He then brought his hand back up slowly, this time his fingers slid under her shirt…higher…higher…just then Ron sat up in alarm.



“Did you hear that?” he said as he caught his breath.



“No, what was it?” Hermione looked around the clearing.



When their eyes met, both immediately looked away. It was Ron who broke the silence. “Erm…that was nice Hermione…yeah…real nice.”



She looked up at him slowly; “I’m sorry, I didn’t mean to…” She lowered her eyes to Ron’s lap.



“Hermione!” he yelled as he quickly covered up his excitement with the sweater he had discarded earlier. His trademark red face and ears appeared.



She looked down and bit her lip. “I suppose you’ll be going inside…for a shower?”



“Erm…yeah…yeah…that’s what I’ll do. See you at dinner ‘Mione.” He stood up continuing to hold the sweater in front of himself.



He smiled as they headed for the house. I wonder how long she’s going to tease me like that? . Then he smiled even bigger.



*




Harry took Ginny far enough from the others so they could be alone. They sat down on a low brick wall and faced each other. Since Ginny was wearing jeans she was able to put one leg over the wall and sit facing Harry. He sat the same way, their knees almost touching.



“I didn’t mean to hurt you, Ginny,” Harry started.



“I know, that’s”“ Ginny started to say, but Harry put his finger to her lips.



“Let me finish. I was totally out of line and I hope that you can forgive me. If I ever did anything to destroy our friendship, I could never forgive myself." He looked into her sparkling chocolate eyes. “You have become such an important part of my life. I need your friendship more than you know,” Harry continued, looking into her eyes when he finished.



Yeah the old “I just want to be friends speech,” I guess I’ll have to settle for that, Ginny thought.



She smiled at Harry to show that she accepted his apology. Then she almost chuckled.



“Harry, did you really tell my mum everything?” Ginny winced.





“I had to. The veritaserum. I couldn’t stop myself,” Harry smiled and shook his head.



“Did you actually say that you put your hand…”



“On your...boobs? Yes, I actually said that to your mum.” Harry shook his head. “I also told her that I tried to take your knickers for a souvenir.” He rolled his eyes at himself.



Ginny’s eyes were dancing with laughter. Harry just wanted to drink her in. He just wasn’t sure that this was the right time. But he thought it might be worth the risk. How can I tell her? Is this the right time? What should I say?



He settled for, “Would you like a butterbeer? I think your mum put some in the basket.”



She started to get up. “You wait right here," Harry said, "I’ll be right back.” He touched her leg. Harry returned in a few minutes empty-handed. He had a strange look on his face. As he sat down and shook his head from side to side as if to shake out a thought.



“What’s wrong, Harry? Where are the butterbeers?” Ginny questioned.



“I forgot them,” he said with a crooked smile.



Harry sat back down on the wall and faced a bemused Ginny. He took a breath and sighed. It’s now or never. He thought.



“You said something that night, I remember,” Harry said timidly. “Something about ‘if you are interested in a girl, you should start a little slower.’ Was that how you put it?”



What’s this? Ginny thought. Is he actually going to ask me how to get a girlfriend? I don’t think I can take this.



“Yeah,” she replied, “something like that.”



“Well…what should I do first?” Harry teased her.




Ginny became a little angry, but she didn’t want to start another row with Harry. “Try holding her hand and kissing a little to start. That should do.” How thick was he? She got up and started back to rejoin the others, but Harry was too quick. He grabbed her by the wrist.



“Sit back down, please. I need your help.” He took her hand in both of his. He had never noticed how small her hand was. “Like this?” he said.



I can’t believe he is torturing me like this. “Yes, like that. Can I go now?” She tried to leave again. Harry stood beside her still holding her hand.



“No. I need you.” He bent down slowly and kissed her softly, barely opening his lips so she could taste him. “Like that?” he said as he pulled away.


He needs me! Needs me to practice on so he’ll be ready for someone else! “Yes. Harry, like that. Can I go now?" She was getting exasperated with him.



“No. I don’t think I did it right.”



“WHAT?” Ginny said incredulously.



“Well…the girl I fancy keeps trying to get away from me.”



“What? You just got though telling me that you just wanted to be friends and now you are saying that you like me? Don’t play with me like this, Harry Potter. My heart can’t take it!”



“I didn’t say I only wanted to be friends. I said that our friendship is the most important thing. I do want to be your friend. It’s just that I thought it would be nice to be more that friends.”



“Why? So you can molest me without a guilty conscience?” Her face was getting red with anger.



“Erm…no not that,” he teased again. “Erm...How do I love thee, let me count the ways.” He quoted the poetry book that Hermione had given him.



“What?”



“I love thee to the depth and height my soul can reach.”



“What?”



“I’m trying to say ‘I love you’, Ginny Weasley!”



Ginny remembered the poetry book Hermione had told her about. Tears welled up in her eyes. Harry smiled brightly at her. “You are so beautiful.” He kissed a tear as it ran down her cheek. Then he kissed her lips with all of the love he had. He felt her relax in his arms and eventually respond to him. Their kisses became more passionate as they began exploring each other. Harry became aroused much to Ginny’s amusement.



“So...is that The Philosopher’s Stone in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?” She said with a smirk.



Harry smiled and whispered in her ear, “What a prat.”




THE END




A/N: Did you figure out what startled Ron when he was making out with Hermione? And why Harry came back empty handed when he went to get the butterbeers?

The two lines of poetry quoted by Harry were from the poem “How Do I Love Thee’, by Elizabeth Barrett Browning.