Being Brave by School owl
Summary: In the final battle, Harry Potter's friends are showing him what it means to be brave. But will they too learn what it means to be brave themselves? One-shot.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1981 Read: 1353 Published: 02/10/05 Updated: 02/10/05

1. Being Brave by School owl

Being Brave by School owl
Being Brave

As the last war was coming, Harry was preparing at the barrow. The order was teaching him highly advanced magic. Lupin was his head instructor. Harry was trying wand less magic. It was really hard to do. “Concentrate; imagine a bouquet of flowers coming out of thin air.” Lupin said.

Harry thought and imagined. A small weed came out of nowhere. It was still summer vacation, so Hermione, Ron and Ginny were watching. Moody was helping when he thought he needed to. Mrs. Weasley was baking dinner. Lupin smiled. “At least you got something.” He said.

Harry smiled and nodded his head. “Harry, why don’t you talk much?” Hermione asked.

“Oh, I was just trying to concentrate.” Harry said, “Here Ron, have a weed.”

Harry tossed the weed to Ron. “Thanks a lot,” Ron said rolling his eyes.

They all smiled. “Now Potter, please try to get it this time. Otherwise…” Moody growled.

Harry nodded and closed his eyes. A bouquet of lilies came out of the air. “Good Harry, open your eyes.” Lupin said.

Harry saw the lilies and smiled. Everyone laughed. “Very surprising,” Moody said.

“At least I didn’t get petunias,” Harry joked.

Hermione laughed. “Okay, now make them disappear.” Lupin instructed.

Harry closed his eyes and saw the lilies gone. When he opened his eyes, the lilies were gone except for one lily. “Close, try again.” Lupin said.

Harry tried and the lily was gone. Ginny, Ron and Hermione clapped. “Well done Harry,” Ginny said.

Mrs. Weasley came in and said dinner was ready. Mr. Weasley was on something for the order. Harry sat down and ate. When dinner was done everyone trooped back out into their spots in the living room. Mrs. Weasley watched. “Harry, we want you to try to move this pencil across the table. It’s just concentration.” Lupin said.

“Okay,” Harry said.

He began to close his eyes. “No, do it with your eyes opened,” Moody said.

Harry nodded. He moved the pencil across the table. “Good job, is something bothering you Harry?” Lupin asked.

Harry thought for a moment. “Yes, there is something bothering me. I’m not sure if you would understand, but I’m scared. Terrified really, about everything,” Harry said.

Lupin looked at Harry, “I’m scared too; you’re really my only friend. If I lose you, I don’t know. I’ve already lost three others. Forget about Peter, he wasn’t a good friend.”

“I am too…” Ginny began.

Harry shook his head. “No, that’s not what I mean. Even if I live, the thought of meeting Voldemort again is scary. He’s at the highest point in his reign. Voldemort has done some things that are quite pain full. Like kill people I know or he’ll torture others. I don’t want to face him again.” Harry said.

Hermione said, “But that’s what’s bravery is Harry. It’s being afraid, it’s being scared, it’s being human, it’s being strong, it’s being weak, it’s being sad, and it’s living.”

“She’s right,” Moody growled.

“Look, don’t worry. It’s going to be okay,” Ron said.

“Don’t lie, please. I need the truth. The truth is there is 50/50 chance. It’ll go however it goes,” Harry said.

“Harry trust us, we’ll find away to make sure you’re safe.” Ginny said.

“I don’t want to run. I also don’t want to face the truth, but it’s something I need to do.” Harry said.

“Harry, it’s okay to be afraid,” Ron said.

Harry sat down. “Every year, I try to mask my feelings about everything. I don’t want anyone else to worry about me or anything like that. I try so hard to be brave. I just can’t do it anymore. I’m scared and worried. I don’t know what to do or how to act.” He said.

Mrs. Weasley went over and hugged him. “Harry dear, I was wondering when you were going to come to your senses. You, my dear, are a human. Humans get scared and frightened. Finally you’re growing up,” She said smiling.

Harry nodded. “I’m not ready to take the fate of the world in my hands,” Harry said.

Hermione laughed. “Harry, you’re only seventeen. Just like Ron and I, you are still a child. No one is ready to take any fate into their hands at seventeen. Just remember, being brave is being scared.” Hermione said.

“I must be pretty brave than,” Harry said.

Everyone smiled. “Yes, you are one of the bravest people we know.” Ginny said.

Harry looked down. “I’m not. All of you are braver than me. You have shown me support, family, loyalty, love and friendship.” Harry said.

“You are brave,” Ron said.

The night went on with advanced magic and then Harry fell asleep blissfully. Weeks melted away and it was soon time for school.

Hermione was head girl and Ron was head boy. Harry couldn’t have been happier for them. The days passed and horror was unleashed. “I swear, I will protect you from harm. I’ll go to the ends of the earth to save.” Harry told Hermione, Ron and Ginny.

“We know Harry,” Hermione said.

“We won’t get caught though,” Ginny said.

Oh, if only her words were true. That night they were kidnapped with Dumbledore and Lupin as bate for Harry. Harry went after them. They were in a chamber chained to the walls. Their heads were hung and when they saw Harry, their heads perked up. “Harry!” Hermione said loudly.

“Shh…” Harry said.

Her voice echoed through the halls and it was too late. Voldemort sprang out of the shadows like a cat. “Let them go. They didn’t do anything wrong,” Harry said.

Voldemort sneered. “Yes they did. Dumbledore here has done plenty of damage. Also, your friends have caused problems before, so I’m taking care of them.”

Harry pulled out his wand. “Bow to death, if you want. Or you could give yourself up.” Voldemort offered laughing.

Harry gave him a dirty look. “I’d rather die than give up.” He said with dignity.

Voldemort looked happy. “Have it your way then,”

Voldemort was saying the killing curse every moment he had. Harry was beating him. “It’s not too late.” Voldemort said.

Harry shook his head. “I will never join you,”

“Never, I guess you’re not brave enough.” Voldemort said.

Harry looked at the people hanging on the wall. “Being brave is being scared,” Harry said.

Harry stared into Voldemort’s red eyes for a long while. Voldemort sent another killing curse at him. “Harry, look out!” Ginny shrieked.

Harry looked at her and felt the curse go by his ear. “Thanks Ginny for almost getting me killed,” Harry said smiling.

Harry focused his attention on Voldemort once more. He saw Dumbledore nodding and Harry gave him a slight nod. Harry whispered the killing curse and a green light filled his eyes.

Voldemort fell to the ground dead. Harry released them from their chains. “Not a word,” Harry said.

Ginny’s eyes were filled with tears. Hermione bit her lip and cried into Ron’s shoulder. Ron looked shocked. Lupin was hard to read, he was stone faced. Dumbledore also looked cold. “Look, if there was another way out, I would have done it. I’m not a murderer.” Harry said.

“Yes you are! You killed another being thus you are a murderer!” Ginny said crying.

“Yes, I am a murderer. Please don’t cry though. If I get sent to Azkaban, so be it. I need to think about what I have done.” Harry said.

Ginny was crying so hard. Harry went to hug her, but she broke away and screamed, “Don’t touch me; you were supposed to be a hero, not a murderer!”

Ginny ran. Harry turned to Hermione and Ron. “So, are you afraid that I’ll kill you in the night?” Harry asked.

Hermione shook her head. “No, it’s just, you killed someone.” Hermione said shocked.

Harry nodded. “I didn’t want to sink to his level, but I didn’t want you to die either.” Harry said.

Ron looked at him and smiled. “It’s over. You did it! He’ll never harm anyone again.”

“Not quite,” a voice came from behind them it was Fudge.

Harry looked at him. “Harry James Potter, did you just kill you-know-who?” Fudge asked.

“Yes,” Harry said.

“Why?” Fudge asked.

“It is my duty to protect my world and my friends,” Harry said.

“Normally, you would be sent to Azkaban. In this case however, since it was who-know-who, you won’t have any punishment.” Fudge said.

Ron, Ginny, Hermione, Lupin and Dumbledore went to the castle. Ginny was still crying and the others looked fearful of him. “Can anyone tell me what’s wrong?” Harry asked.

Dumbledore looked at him. “Harry, I do believe that they are in shock from seeing you kill Tom.”

“Harry, you’re my hero,” Ginny said crying. “But heroes are supposed to be the good guys.”

Ron hugged Ginny. “Harry, I think it best if you stay away from us for a while.” Ron said.

Harry nodded. How am I going to make it up to them? , he thought.

Harry walked away and Hermione watched him leave with tears in her eyes. Lupin went to his room and said no more. Harry didn’t know his destination until he thought about what Ginny, Hermione and Ron said about being brave. He went into the common room and pulled out a piece of parchment and began to write:


Dear Ginny, Hermione, Ron, Professor Lupin and Professor Dumbledore,

Maybe you shouldn’t have been there to witness what I did. Quite frankly, I didn’t want to be there either. I do things for a reason and this was one of them. I didn’t want to see you get hurt. You all have taught me something and now I am teaching you.

Being brave is being afraid, it’s being scared, it’s being human, it’s being strong, it’s being weak, it’s being sad, and its living. I had not learned that meaning until you came and told me. I was quite afraid when you were taken. Thus, I was quite brave. I want you to know that you too need to be brave. I shall never harm you. My loyalty to you will never waver and I shall always be your friend.

Harry Potter



Harry thought it was as sincere as he could make it and he rolled it up. He put it in the common room with all of their names on it. He knew that they would find it and show the others.

Sure enough, Ginny, Hermione and Ron came to him the next day with tears in their eyes. Hermione bit her lip. “Harry, we over reacted. It was scary though to see you kill someone. We never thought how you would feel about it.” Hermione said.

“You still are the bravest person I know Harry. You are my hero,” Ginny said.

Harry laughed. “I don’t want to be anyone’s hero; I just want your friendship because that will be worth more than any old hero stuff.”

Ron looked at Harry in a new light. “All these years, I was jealous of you. Now, I see that being famous isn’t exactly fun and games.” Ron said.

Harry smiled at them. He had learned about being brave. They had learned about being brave. After all, they were the bravest witches and wizards of their time, but that is another story.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=13764