Changes by GLuRose
Summary: An adult Ginny Weasley recalls the time she spent at Hogwarts. Inparticuarly the point at which everything changed. She remembers her 5th year and when it all began.
Categories: Draco/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1046 Read: 1720 Published: 11/09/04 Updated: 11/09/04

1. The Night it Began by GLuRose

The Night it Began by GLuRose
Funny how things change over time. It was 12 years ago when I first started at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Oh how I longed to go there when I was just a little girl. My brothers always bragged about all the stuff they did at Hogwarts and I was so jealous. I wonder why I was ever jealous now. I guess growing up with 6 older brothers that always could do things that I couldn’t probably made me long to go to Hogwarts but I’m not sure.

My family never had any money. Everything was hand-me-downs and it was hard to make ends meet. In the wizarding world everyone knew we were poor. Just one mention of the Weasleys and people instantly judge us because we’re poor. That made Hogwarts harder. It especially caused more problems with him.

That blonde boy in Slytherin whose family was the complete opposite of mine. The Malfoys were rich and Muggle-haters. Another thing I was picked on about was my father’s odd obsession with Muggles and their things, but that’s not really important. The Malfoys supported Voldemort and the Weasleys supported Dumbledore. The Malfoys came from a long line of Slytherins and the Weasleys a long line of Gryiffndors. The only similarity between the families is that they are both purebloods.

Draco loathed me at first. Yet, in the beginning nothing really went right for me. I was possessed by Voldemort and I opened the Chamber of Secrets in my first year. The next year wasn’t as bad but I still wasn’t enjoying the time I spent at Hogwarts. The only thing that kept me going was my crush on Harry Potter. Harry, may he rest in peace, was the only one actually nice to me, but I found over time that I didn’t have a chance with Harry and I gave up on him.

Around that time was when it all started. I was in my 5th year at Hogwarts and the school was in chaos. The Wizarding World had just realized that Voldemort was back and everyone was panicking. Dumbledore tried to calm the students but they just ignored him. You couldn’t trust anyone, because you weren’t sure who could be a Death Eater.

My parents were in the Order of the Phoenix so I always knew a lot about what was going on with Voldemort so I felt a little better about him being around but it was anything but relief. Draco was going through some changes. His father was locked up in Azkaban and he was feeling mixed up. One minute he would bust out with anger and the next he could be so depressed just moping around. He broke away from the crowd of Slytherins and he was keeping to himself. All we wanted to do was swallow in self pity and no one wanted to be around him, except me.

I felt sorry for Draco Malfoy. He was a boy that had everything his heart could ever desire and he was ruining it. I don’t know what really made me approach Draco on that late September evening but it changed everything.

I had just left Hermione who was heading back to Gryiffindor Tower carrying a large stack of books. She said that Ron and Harry needed a little motivation at the start of the new term. I did not argue with her but felt sorry for Ron and Harry. As I looked through the shelves for the book I needed for my History of Magic report I could see his shiny blonde head through the book shelves. It sounded like he was crying or something. I slowly walked down to the end of the aisle I was in and then into the one he was in. I approached him slowly.

“Malfoy?”

He looked up at me with large puffy red eyes. At first he looked relieved to see someone but his evil smirk quickly appeared. “What do you want, Weasley?”

“Are you ok?”

“It’s none of your filthy little Muggle-loving business.”
“What is wrong with you? Where do you get off telling me it’s not any of my business? You know that’s pretty dumb considering I was trying to help you.”

“Help me? HA! I would never help a Weasley. The lowest of the low. Just hurry on and go tell your savior Potter all about how you saw Malfoy crying his eyes out for his Daddy in the library.”

“You’re crying because of your father?”

“AHH!!! Just leave me alone.” He turned and started walking down the aisle. I wanted to call after him but I figured it would only lead to trouble.

I walked to the front desk and checked out the book I needed. Madam Pince gave me the usual lecture about how to be very careful with the book and to have it back on time. I just nodded and left the library silently. I walked down the hall alone. It was odd that the halls were completely empty but I just headed back to Gryffindor Tower trying to shrug off the odd feeling that I was having. I was about to turn the corner right by the Trophy Room when I heard hushed voices coming from the room. I pulled out an Extendable Ear from my bag, I’m so thankful Fred and George are evil genius’.

The ear extended into the room and I could clearly hear every word that was being said.

“Did you bring it?”

“Y-yes, I did, Snape.”

“Was there any message?”

“No I was just told to bring it straight to you. It took a lot of work to get this.”

“Well it’ll be worth it when we finally get him. Now go quickly before anyone catches us.”

I quickly gave the ear a quick tug and then walked down the hall a bit. Then I retraced my steps. Professor Snape passed me giving me a suspicious look and then as I continued down the hall I saw a short bald man trying to squeeze his fat body out the window.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1419