Icy Blue Eyes by Kate Mari
Summary: It's done! Thank you everyone who has helped. Keep reading and writing! Ron and Hermione are starting their sixth year, but something just doesn't seem right between them. Sure, they are still fighting like mad and some accidents happen between the two that may trigger something in their brain about each other, but....well....I don't want to give away the story! Read and Review please!
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: Yes Word count: 8447 Read: 27105 Published: 02/24/05 Updated: 04/16/06

1. Barefeet and Insomnia by Kate Mari

2. The Pursuit by Kate Mari

3. Comforting Butterbeer by Kate Mari

4. Blushed by Kate Mari

5. Ouch! by Kate Mari

6. One Result by Kate Mari

7. A Last Glance by Kate Mari

Barefeet and Insomnia by Kate Mari
A/N: I would like to thank my wonderful Beta, Lex, for all of her hard work and helpful pointers. You're AWESOME!!!!!


Chapter One


Hermione suddenly woke up to a crash of thunder outside her bedroom window. Lightening flashed brightly and the rain pounded like a stampede of horses on the glass panes.

Where am I? she thought.

A little dizzy, she pushed the covers down and crawled out into the cold air. With a shiver, she slipped her robe over her shoulders. It felt soft, like a familiar hand.

Wait! Did I really just think that?

The stairs leading to the first floor felt ice cold beneath her bare feet as the flashes of lightening blazed across her path. Hermoine's toes soon found a soft hearthrug. She looked around at the brilliantly decorated room. From the angry strikes, she could see colors of burgundy and gold everywhere. Snoring portraits hung on the walls and the fireplace seemed alive, dancing with yellow and orange pinpricks of fire.

As soon as she realized she was at Hogwarts, her gaze fell upon a certain ginger-haired boy sitting by the fireside.

Wonder what's going on, Hermione thought, as her sleeping legs carried her uncomfortably toward the opposite side of the room.

He seems to be sleeping; maybe I’ll just head back to bed.

She turned around and started making her way back towards the staircase.

All too suddenly, a clap of thunder made Hermione jump and she let out a surprised shriek. No sooner had she realized what she'd done, than movements behind her made her turn around so suddenly, her neck cramped.

The ginger-haired boy had awoken and was sitting bolt upright in the cushioned chair.

Oh gosh. I hope I didn’t wake him! Hermione told herself, massaging her neck muscles where they had cramped.

As she watched, he stood clumsily and rubbed his eyes clear of the blurriness his eyelashes had kindly provided.

Should I say something?, Hermione wondered, while still deciding if she should sneak up to her dormitory anyway. She could say he'd seen a ghost if he asked tomorrow.

She decided against the latter.

"Ron?" Hermione whispered.

The flame-haired boy named Ron jumped and looked around, those blue eyes, wide with fright. His eyes found Hermione, she was standing at the bottom of the stairs crinkling her rosy red nightgown as if she was scared.

"Oh, hello, Hermione. What are you doing up so late?" Ron asked with a puzzled expression.

"I was going to ask you the same thing," she said with an awkward smile.

She stumbled across the common room hitting objects and stubbing her feet until she found her best friend sitting in his favorite armchair. She took a seat across from him, and gazed at the embers in the fireplace. Hermione was so entranced with their flickering and popping, she forgot the question still lingering upon her lips.

"Ron, what is going on? Why are you down here, alone, in the dark?"

Ron stared at Hermione for a brief moment before answering. He drew a deep breath and explained his story. "I couldn't sleep."

"That's all?" She encouraged him to continue.

"No. Harry followed me up to bed last night; I was trying to get away from all the noise of the party. I know we won against Slytherin, but I was getting annoyed. I could tell he knew there was something wrong with me. He kept looking at me like he wanted me to talk. I told him about the huge row that we had had about Vicky after the Quidditch match."

Hermione mustered up the rudest look she could manage. Which was easy in her present sleepy state.

"I guess I was still angry about that, but I accidentally let slip his death. You know, Sirius?"

Hermione nodded knowingly and looked sadly down at her hands.

Ron continued. "I was so caught up in the moment, that I told Harry he should just forget him and move on."

"Oh, Ron. You didn't!"

"Well, I found out that wasn't the right thing to say. So, here I am, sitting by the fireside just thinking about how thick I am." Ron finished with a grimace. He glanced at the window just in time to see a menacing fork of bright yellow lightening flash across the sky.

Hermione was at a loss for words. Her eyes were tired and heavy, but she did not want to leave Ron when he needed her most. She looked at him and realized that, in certain lights, he could be rather handsome. She knew he meant well enough, but he had a bad sense of judgement when it came to words that would just flop out of his mouth. She shook her head at the whole situation.

"Well," she yawned unintentionally, "The only thing to be done now, is wait until morning. We can mend everything then."

The rest of the night, they sat in their chairs. Slumped back, they took the opportunity to let the echoing drips lull their minds. No one would know when, or how, but they both fell asleep to the sound of the heavy rain upon the windows.




The Great Hall seemed packed to its fullest capacity this gusty October morn. It was breakfast, and full of people ready and anxiously awaiting the first Hogsmeade visit of the new school year.

Harry ruffled up his black untidy hair as Ginny sat down across from him at the roaring Gryffindor table. Ginny and Harry conversed with each other before Hermione unexpectedly turned up looking like she had not slept a wink in three weeks.

She immediately started loading her plate full of scrambled eggs and toast.

“Hey, Harry; Ginny. What’s up?” Hermione said as she buttered her toast.

Ginny looked up from her own plate. “You look tired, Hermoine” Ginny noticed. “Did you get enough sleep last night? I saw you weren’t in your bed this morning.”

Harry looked up rapidly with his widened green eyes full of interest.
“What?” Hermione and Ginny both questioned at once.

All around people looked up from their breakfasts and conversations to gawk at the unusually loud trio. Harry could hardly contain himself.

“It’s just that-” Harry started, looking uncomfortable for asking.

“Well, if Hermione wasn’t in her bed last night, and neither was Ron, then…” Harry cut off and leaned towards Ginny. He whispered something not at all audible to Hermione into Ginny’s ear; she let out a squeal and looked over at Hermione in utmost shock, but with a mischievous grin on her face.

“Hogsmeade visitors to the entrance hall, please,” yelled a voice over the Great Hall. Harry and Ginny stood up without delay, talking hasty to each other, and walked swiftly out with the already flowing students. Hermione, however, sat silent in her seat just staring after them and thinking.

What in the world was that all about? she thought. Do they think that Ron and I were”that we”how could they think such a thing!

Hermione instinctively made up her mind and scrambled out of the Great Hall in search of Ron.
The Pursuit by Kate Mari
Thanks to my Betas Leanna Sanders and Gwendolyn Stanbury. You guys are awesome! Thanks!


Chapter Two


Where is he? Hermione muttered to herself. She knew Ron would not be in the Owlery, but had decided it would be the best place to see the school grounds. Leaning over the windowsill, she could see right across the green grounds.

Hermione leaned to the right side of the always-open window. The towering Quidditch hoops were shining magnificently in the sunlight, but she could not see anyone flying at the moment.

She quickly glanced towards the shimmering blue lake. The giant squid seemed to be the only one swimming in the depths, but the banks of the oblong-shaped lake were scattered with first and second years not yet able to go to Hogsmeade. Not one ginger-haired boy or girl sat there though Hermione noticed.

She turned with suspicion as her attention was drawn towards a flock of birds that had suddenly taken flight from the treetops in the forest. Must be Grawp. Hermione said to herself, shaking her head and laughing a little at the notion of the giant's crooked smile and loud calls for Hagrid. She stood there for a moment longer, obviously entranced by the broken trees and thunderous noises. A tawny owl flew erratically inside the tower and narrowly escaped getting caught in Hermione's bushy hair. She snapped out of her trance at the sudden movement and shook her head to get her mind back on track.

Ok, if I’m Ron, where would I be? She paced back and forth for some time dodging owls coming home after delivering their packages and letters. Suddenly, she stopped with a halt.

Oh! Eating! Hermione's eyes blazed brilliantly as she took off running wildly through the Owlery, slipping and sliding on the straw and owl droppings littering the floor.

Down staircases she flew, jumping over the trick step and running with speed down a lantern-lit passageway.

A portrait of a bowl of fruit was now in sight. Hermione tickled the pear, breathing heavily from sprinting so far. She recalled her first adventure into Hogwarts’ kitchen when the door creaked open, revealing a spotlessly clean kitchen scattered with House elves scrubbing and mopping.

“Argh! Look at all these enslaved House elves!” Hermione muttered to herself shaking her head with disbelief. ”I really need to get more people involved in S.P.E.W.” She quickly made a mental note before eleven House elves stopped what they were cleaning and bounded up to her. They asked Hermione happily what they could do for her as she became aware of Dobby pushing his way through the toga-covered creatures.

“Miss! What is you doing here Miss? Where is Harry Potter?” Dobby questioned peering around Hermione's knees, presumably to see if Harry had come too.

"Listen Dobby, I can't talk now, do you know where Ron is?" She looked searchingly into Dobby's eyes then around the room.

“Mr. Wheezy is over their Miss, by the fireplace.” Dobby exclaimed, pointing his jagged finger in Ron's direction.

Ron sat on a small wooden stool next to a roaring fireplace, food and drink resting upon a crowded table next to the brick wall. Hermione followed Dobby's finger to the location of the grubby boy, familiar because he was stuffing his face with handfuls of pasties and tart.

“Oh! Thanks, Dobby!”

Hermione hastily made her way through the crowded kitchen and to the corner containing Ron.

"Ron!" Hermione spoke harshly at the disoriented boy. He quickly broke away from filling his mouth to stare absent-mindedly at Hermione.

"What do you want, Hermione?" Ron mumbled through a piece of cake.

"What I want is a reason,” she explained coolly sitting down on an uncomfortably wobbly stool. Ron questioned her, looking avidly on her face for some explanation. "I want to know why you weren’t at breakfast this morning to talk to Harry."

Ron looked away from her wanting eyes. He hesitantly placed his cake on the table and started playing with his blue jeans. "I...I ate earlier" he stammered.

That's not an answer to my question! reflected Hermione to herself.

"D'you remember what we talked about last night? About how you need to confront Harry and explain what made you talk about Sirius? Just tell Harry the truth, he’ll understand. It’s not like we haven’t had rows before!"

Ron looked up at Hermione, suddenly understanding.

“Oh, wow.” Hermione muttered beneath her breath. His icy blue eyes were somehow beautifully caught in the rhythm of the dancing flames in the stone fireplace. Hermione knew he understood and yet she was still so entranced by his eyes that the unbalanced stool underneath her gave way to the motion of her body. She tipped forward, flailing her limbs to catch herself before she hit the stony floor. Everything went black for a second before Hermione realized what had happened. She looked up and found those icy blue eyes that she had fallen for, literally. They looked worried.

“Are you okay? Just sit for a second to catch your breath.”

Hermione tried to stand up, but found two masculine arms pulling her back down to sit in between two legs fit with blue jeans. The look on her face must have changed to one of frightened surprise, for Ron's face also changed to a worried expression. Pots and pans fell to the floor from a clumsy House elf; Hermione jumped to her feet with alarm.

"We're late for class!" she exclaimed in a horrified fashion to Ron, who was still sitting on the floor. He gave her a bewildered look with those wonderful, icy blue eyes as she raced through the portrait kitchen door.




A/N: Please review. I could use some constructive criticism on my fan fic. And sorry it took so long. He he he….evil cackle.
Comforting Butterbeer by Kate Mari
A/N-Sorry you had to wait so long! I’ll go iron my fingers now. *Sadly walks away from computer and turns the iron onto the setting that reads ‘Hands’* Oh yeah! *Running back to the computer* Thanks to my non-Harry Potter friend, Becky, for BETA-ing! Enjoy!




Chapter Three

Ginny Weasley was sitting comfortably in the Gryffindor Common Room doing her potions’ essay before heading off to Hogsmeade. As she put the finishing touches on her essay, something bushy flew through the portrait hole and up the winding stairs leading to the girl’s dormitory. Ginny set down her paper and swiftly ran up to her dormitory.

She quietly peeped inside the half closed door and observed as the bushy haired creature’s chest moved up and down accordingly to her sobs.

“Hermione?” Ginny questioned as she slowly pushed open the wooden oak door and walked inside. She cautiously padded across the room. Her footsteps were tuned out as the sobs grew more intense. She sensitively sat down at the foot of Hermione’s bed.

A few minutes passed before Hermione’s sobs slowly drifted to a whimper. Gradually, Hermione lifted her head off the feather pillow and turned towards her good friend with a tear-stained face, her eyes full of sorrow and pain.

“What happened, Hermione?” Ginny asked quietly.

“I don’t really want to talk about it right now. This isn’t like me.” she replied, sitting up in her bed. Ginny placed her arm around Hermione’s shoulders.

“Ok, but you know you’re gonna have to tell me later, right!” Ginny informed Hermione, trying to lighten the mood with a mischievous grin.

“Yeah,” she returned with a smile.

“Let’s go to Hogsmeade and have a butterbeer. That always makes me feel better!” Hermione nodded encouragingly. Ginny stood up and walked with her best friend, arm in arm, towards the wooden oak door.




“Wow!” Hermione exclaimed scoping the Three Broomsticks. For a Saturday, the usually crowded pub was extremely busy. Ginny grabbed Hermione’s arm and carefully led her through the crowd, dodging between the Hogwarts students and visiting witches and wizards to Hogsmeade. They sat down at the only remaining table in a considerably far corner of the room, visible by everyone entering the Broomsticks.

“I’m going to get the butterbeer, be right back.” Ginny removed herself from the table and wove through the crowd to talk to Madam Rosmerta, the bartender with turquoise heels.

As Hermione awaited Ginny’s return, she peered through the window and watched as her fellow classmates chased each other into store after store. Neville Longbottom came out of Honeydukes, followed closely by Harry Potter. Hermione nervously watched to make sure Ron was not with them.
Hmmm . . .. Her brain fought hard to figure out whether she should let out a sigh of relief or feel sorry for running out on him.

“What ‘ya looking at, Hermione?” Ginny inquired setting the mugs down and finally sitting down herself. She looked out the window in the direction of the main road. “Anyways, drink up!” Ginny picked up her mug and took a drink.

Hermione tore her eyes away from the outside world and gave a meek smile towards Ginny. She picked up her butterbeer and took a long drought while clearing her head.




The room closed like evaporating water as students of Profesor McGonagall’s Transfiguration Class took their seats. The room exploded in talk and rumors while waiting for the bell to signal the beginning of class. Professor was scrawling on the chalkboard directions for their assignments that day.
Hermione walked into the buzzing classroom with the ‘Divination Twins’, Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil. The bell rang noisily just as the three sat at a table together. Hermione took each book out one by one, careful not to look in the direction of Ron, Harry, and Neville. Although Hermione still talked to Neville frequently, he was sitting at the same table as Ron and Harry, whom she did not want to converse with at the moment. She was still embarrassed about what happened with Ron the other day and pushed that moment to the back of her head.

Wonder if Ron has even talked to Harry yet Hermione poked.

“Today” began Professor McGonagall trying to quiet down the vivacious class. “We begin a new subject.”

On and on the Professor went, explaining what happens when transfiguring goes wrong. Hermione glanced over at Parvati and Lavender; they were passing notes without notice of the teacher underneath the table.

Maybe I should take notes Hermione thought to herself as she took out a piece of parchment and a quill.

Class ended shortly. The buzzing began again and the halls were filled with students shuffling to reach their next class. Anxious as they were to get everything out to their fellow friends during passing time, there was one person who was not participating in this daily pastime.

“Hermione!” someone shouted over the spirited voices down the hallway. “Hermione, wait up!”

The one being called slowly turned around, scared of who might want her. She searched the flowing hallway and saw someone with messy jet-black hair near the end of the feisty crowd. Hermione pushed herself off to the side next to a suit of armor.

“Hey!” Harry conveyed as if they had been carrying on a conversation for hours. “What’s with the long face?”

At that precise moment, the person whom she did not want to talk to walked up behind Harry.

A little uncomfortably Harry broke the ice. “Hi, Ron.”

“Hi, Harry, Hermione” Ron said trying to avoid both of their eyes, yet knowing they would have to talk sooner or later.

"Hi, Ron." Hermione blushed furiously and somehow got the courage to say, "I talk to you later, ok?”

Ron finally looked up into her warm, brown eyes. “All right. I have Quidditch practice tonight after dinner, so how about when I get back?”

“Ok. I’ll meet you in the Common Room.” Hermione made a mental note and looked at Harry. He was giving them a weird look.

“Harry? Are you ok?”

Harry looked between the two and started laughing. “I have to tell Ginny!”

With that said, Harry took off running down the hallway towards the Dark Arts’ classroom to find Ginny.

What was that all about? Hermione thought puzzled.

“Well, we’d better get to class. Hagrid is considering showing us a new creature.”

“Yeah” Ron replied and turned to walk down the hallway.

What is up between Harry and Ginny? Do they still think that….Aww, c’mon!



A/N Hope you liked it! If you didn't, the next chapter will be better. Please review and tell me what I can do better, or something about the story. Thanks!
Blushed by Kate Mari
Disclaimer: None of the Harry Potter universe belongs to me.



Chapter 4 - Blushed
*In the Great Hall*

Ok Hermione nervously thought, planning out what she was going to say to Ron at their meeting that night. Maybe . . . hmmm- She started tapping her fingers on the table as she rested her troubled head on her other hand. Oh, why can't these things be found in books! Hermione threw her arms up in despair.

Fortunately, her musings were interrupted by Ginny’s exclamation of "Hi, Hermione!" She plopped herself down opposite Hermione at the Gryffindor table. "How's it going? You look a little nervous." Hermione looked puzzled. "That arm throwing thing kind of gave it away. Is everything okay?" She was watching Hermione push her pork chops and corn around with her fork, the next sign of a troublesome mind.

"Oh, yeah. I'm fine," she lied, looking carefully towards the Great Hall doors. "You just came from quidditch practice, right?"

Ginny nodded her head, putting some mashed potatoes into her mouth. "So Ron is . . . er, and Harry are coming, right?" She gave Ginny a quizzical look. She didn't mean to just say Ron's name, so she tried to cover it up with a nervous half smile.

Swallowing her potatoes Ginny replied, "Yeah. They were in the showers when I left."

"Ok. Thanks, Ginny." Hermione finished her pumpkin juice, stood up, and started weaving her way through students making their way to dinner.

Good, she told to herself, not looking where she was going. Maybe I can still . . . oof . . . What the . . .? She looked up hastily to find herself, yet again, face-to-face with Ronald Weasley. "Oh, sorry, Ron," she mumbled. All of the sudden, she found herself lost in his icy blue eyes, barely visible under his shaggy auburn hair. His lop-sided grin spread across a freckled face.

"It's all right, Hermione. Let me just grab something to eat. Dinner always smells good after a long, hot practice. I'm starving!" Ron added massaging his stomach.

"What's new?" Harry chuckled, rolling his eyes and leading the way around Hermione.

"I'll meet you in the Common Room," Hermione told Ron, finding her voice. She watched her two best friends push each other playfully and sit down across from Ginny. Ron immediately loaded his plate and poured pumpkin juice full to the brim of his goblet. Harry started chatting and gestured frantically with his hands. Obviously he was telling a joke or comical story because Ron snorted juice out of his nose and Ginny almost fell off the bench laughing so hard. Even Neville, who had just appeared next to Ginny, was snorting with laughter. Hermione snapped out of her trance, shaking her head to rid herself of a blank stare. What was I doing? Oh, yeah! Books.

She made her way to the distant library found on the fourth floor; but as she neared, she found herself in front of locked doors and a dark library. "Great," she sighed sarcastically. "Better get back to the Common Room then."




"Fashionable Muggle," said Hermione distractedly.

"In you go, then!" the Fat Lady's portrait replied merrily, swinging open to reveal the comfortable, burgundy and gold Gryffindor common room swarmed, as usual, with first and second years. Hermione took a seat in an uncomfortable chair by the portrait hole. I'll just wait for Ron to show up she thought, picking up a pamphlet on careers laying on the little coffee table next to her.

Gryffindors continued to file in from the Great Hall, and though Ron and Harry did eventually return, Hermione couldn't work up the nerve to interrupt them. Ten minutes later, though, Hermione grew too impatient. She jumped out of her chair to yell through the crowd at Ron. "Ron! Ron!"
He swung around to catch a glimpse of his best friend desperately trying to move towards him. Without hesitation, he started walking away from Harry, also pushing his way to meet Hermione.

Between two bubbly second years, Ron suggested, "It's crowded! Let's go somewhere else."

Hermione nodded and they left the Common Room quickly.
Making their way down the marble staircase, they ran into the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Andi Thaire. She casually greeted the two. "Hello, Professor!" Hermione graciously said; Ron simply grunted, "Hullo." Professor Thaire simply nodded her goodbye and raised her tall, skinny frame up the stairs.

Hermione led the way outside to sit on the warm, stony stairs just catching the last rays of the sunset.

"Well . . ." Ron pushed some his hair out of his eyes, smiling curiously.

Okay Hermione instantly thought. This isn't like me. Why am I breathing hard? My hands are sweaty. Am I sick? I've never felt this way before. Deep breath
"I know you and Harry had a fight a few nights ago. We talked this over, and I told you to talk to him . . . it looks like you two are getting along fine. Am I right?" Hermione implored.

"Back to normal," Ron smiled his infamous lop-sided grin.

"Good." Hermione's heart began to beat fast as she looked deeply into Ron's eyes. "And . . . well . . . what I got out of it was . . . " Hermione fumbled with her hands in her lap. "I mean . . ." Hermione searched frantically with her gestures and her speech.

"Yeah?" Ron's eyes, icy blue as always, danced with excitement and somewhat, Hermione perceived, to be mischief.

"Er . . . well, Harry and Ginny think we were . . .umm doing something only two people who like each other would be doing the night I found you in the Common Room," Hermione blurted out, but could not find why she seemed so nervous about saying that. "They seemed excited."

Ron's blue eyes widened with surprise. The seconds ticked by. Then, after an excruciatingly long time, he asked solemnly, "Do you feel that way about me?"

Hermione blushed just as Ron's ears went red.



A/N: Hehehe . . . couldn't help but have a cliffhanger. Sorry to make you wait so long! I hope this chapter makes you want to read more of my fic! I would like to thank Inspireroflove9191 and DanielRadcliffeandMe for helping me. You guys rock! On to the next chapter! Read and review please!
Ouch! by Kate Mari
End of Last Chapter

"Er . . . well, Harry and Ginny think we were . . .umm doing something only two people who like each other would be doing the night I found you in the Common Room," Hermione blurted out, but could not find why she seemed so nervous about saying that. "They seemed excited."

Ron's blue eyes widened with surprise. The seconds ticked by. Then, after an excruciatingly long time, he asked solemnly, "Do you feel that way about me?"

Hermione blushed just as Ron's ears went red.
~*~

Chapter 5

"I really don't know," Hermione realized; she was still dumbfounded at being asked such a question. Never in Hermione's whole life had she ever thought about liking a boy, her school studies had always occupied her thoughts and time.

"Oh . . ." Ron mumbled. Quicky hiding his frown he said, "We should get back to the dormitories, it's getting late and I have a Charms Essay to write."

Rubbing her eyes, Hermione replied, "Yeah, I'm a little tired." They stood up and slowly walked back inside.

"Wait!" They stopped dead in their tracks, Ron's eyebrows quirked up. "YOU are going to do homework?"

Ron let out a laugh. "Probably not, but I at least have to get started on it."

Ron and Hermione moved into the Gryffindor common room without speaking and with no facial expressions. Harry and Neville were sitting opposite each other playing a game of Wizards Chess, the warm embers of the fire reflecting off their faces.

"I got your queen, mate, now give it a rest."

"Just one more game. I swear I can beat you!" Neville begged of Harry.

In a heartbeat, the presence of Ron and Hermione broke the competitive atmosphere. It seemed as if a Dementor had just joined their company; a dense, impenetrable fog of feelings forcing questions into everyone's brains. Ron entered the boy's dormitories and came back upon the other three with his Charms Essay. Hermione reached for a book and took a seat across the room by a clear window overlooking the grounds.

All the while, Harry and Neville watched the two best friends ignore each other's gazes. Ron's quill shot back and forth along his parchment retracing the now bolded ink of his essay's name. His normally icy blue eyes seemed glazed over as if in the deepest thought that anyone could ever see from Ron. Hermione faced the window reading intently, but the players of Wizards Chess knew she was also concentrating on dissecting her thoughts. As the sky began to darken, ten minutes passed in complete silence. Harry and Neville glanced at one another, but neither spoke their two cents worth of interpretation. The fog was soon penetrated by Harry's sudden movement.

"Ow!" Ron cried in agony, shooting darts in Harry's direction. He picked up the black bishop whilst rubbing the bruise developing by his right eye. "What was that for?!"

"Just checking to see if you were alive, mate. You too, Hermione," Harry added, nodding at the terrified Hermione.

Ron, eyes flashing with blue flames, replied, "Well I certainly am now. That hurt! Aim better next time, won't 'ya?"

"You ok, Ron?" Hermione asked out of the blue.

"Only if you will be once you've realized you tore a page out of one of the library's books," Ron added hastily.

"Oh my gosh! I'm going to die!" Hermione jumped up and started pacing, mumbling words completely irrelevant to what had just happened. Neville looked on in horror, he had not said one word yet because he was still trying to comprehend why Harry would throw a piece of chess at Ron.

"I'll tell her I did it," Ron shouted atop Hermione's newly started shrieks. She stopped abruptly in the midst of trying to pull out her hair. "You'll do what?" she asked quite calmly.

"I'll tell Madam Pince I tore that page out of the book -- on accident, of course -- while borrowing it from you. I see that there is no curse that we all got warned about if something bad happened to one of Madam Pince's dearly beloved books though. That's a good thing."

Harry and Neville, wide-eyed, stared surprisingly at Ron.

Hermione, on the other hand, responded with a dramatic tone. "Ron, you shouldn't do that, I did it. Let me --"

"No, it really was my fault," Ron interrupted. "If I wouldn't have yelled you wouldn't be in this situation," he explained. Ron's eyes were back to normal, except there was a hint of caring and warmth found in their icy blueness.

Stunned, Hermione spoke. "Well -- um . . . you should get back to your essay. I'm going to bed. Goodnight."

"Night."

Hermione got slowly to her feet picking herself up and regaining her old confident self. Weaving through the battered old armchairs and sofas, the bushy-haired know-it-all put a smile on her face. Hopefully they'll believe this fake grin she thought as she climbed the stone staircase never ceasing, but holding herself in perfect poise. Once inside the dormitory, she found Ginny and her other roommates getting ready for bed.

"You all right now? You look better. Must be you worked everything out," Ginny said calmly, getting into bed.

"Uh huh. Thanks again, Ginny," Hermione lied pulling down her covers. "Goodnight."

"Night," Ginny yawned, turning over.

Taking a deep breath, Hermione let everything go and slipped into a comfy bed. Starting to reflect on the days many events, Hermione suddenly felt something move at the end of her four-poster bed. Kicking her silky covers off and jumping out onto the wooden floor, she reached for her wand and muttered, "Lumos". Directing the bright wandlight slowly towards the foot of her bed, Hermione was relieved to find a fuzzy, warm sight: her loving cat Crookshanks. Breathing a huge sigh of relief, Hermione gently picked up her purring cat and crawled back into bed. "Nox."

"I'm glad you're here, Crookshanks," she whispered warmly to the orange cat.

Looking around the circular dormitory, Hermione saw that noone had awoken during that surprising find. In fact, someone was even snoring. Settling, her head upon the worn pillow Hermione pushed Crookshanks toward the headboard so she could try and catch some sleep. The only problem was that her relentless brain refused to quit working, showing her pictures of what had happened earlier out on the stairs. To Hermione's surprise, she started thinking about Ron, one of her best friends. Those warm, icy blue eyes coming into view first. They just light up the room and mesmorize you when you look back into them Hermione reflected. Then the freckles strategically placed on his face, but cuter than expected. His red hair seemed to set off his complexion perfectly, and his ear going red with embarassment always made you want to laugh. Now the scene on the stairs replayed in her head like a movie. First Hermione asked how Ron and Harry were doing since their fight. Ron smiled his usual grin, but then something unexpected happened so quickly that Hermione still could not remember how the conversation had started.

"Do you feel that way about me?" repeated over and over in Hermione's head.

I never knew, or even thought, that Ron was into girls. He always seemed to be caught up in Quidditch . . . The way he blushed after he asked me that question though. It makes me wonder if he likes me more than a friend . . . wait! Do I like Ron?!"




A/N Another dead end ending to a story that's coming to a close. Just a few more chapters now! Sorry about the elongated waits. Anyways, you know the drill, get reviewing! I'd love to hear what you thought. Thanks a lot! Keep reading and writing!
One Result by Kate Mari
A/N: Of course I don't own the Harry Potter world, I just own the plot to this story. But I do hope everyone had a lovely holidays. This story is almost finished! I would love to hear from you after you've read this chapter so review! Enjoy!



Chapter 6

It began as a blustery Monday. Hallways were still dark, lit only by the bronze blaze of the torchlight. The bell seemed to ring early for the students who had stayed up late over the weekend. Down in the dungeons, yawns and groans were echoed over the Potions class where the Gryffindors and Ravenclaws hung their heads with drowsiness. They had double Potions every Monday and hated it with a passion. Snape's attitude did not help either. It seemed to detiriorate as class progressed; probably due to Neville Longbottom and Nitra Statwell's failure as partners to correctly complete and then diminish their potion. As the class jumped out of their seats with the screech of the lunch bell, Harry caught up with Ron.

"Have you talked to Madam Pince yet about Hermione's book?"

"Actually, I'm heading there right now. I'm starving, but I don't think I can sit through lunch with the dread of what's going to happen to me. I just want to get it over with already," Ron sulked, walking quite quickly.

"Oh. Well good luck. See ya later."

"Yeah, cross your fingers." Ron took a right up the marble staircase and out of sight. Trapsing into the Great Hall, Harry noticed Hermione talking with Ginny.

"Yeah, then I took off in the rickety old boat. Hearing thundering footsteps, I turned to look back towards land. Running across the dock came a frantic Ron, jumping and waving his arms. He was yelling for the boat to turn around and for me to come back, but I stood firmly and didn't look his way. I heard a defiant splash and turned quickly to see him splashing, trying to swim to me. I made the captain stop the boat and we waited for Ron. Some of the crew pulled him aboard all sopping wet and shaggy-looking. He said, 'I'm so sorry. I need to start doing homework myself. I know I may act immature sometimes, but I need to know if you've forgiven me for all that. I love you, Hermione.' The words repeated in my swirling head. I stared at him for a second, and then - well - kind of embarassing . . . but we started snogging."

"W - What was that?" Harry studdered, amazed. He had only heard the last few words.

"My dream last night," Hermione said sheepishly as Harry sat down next to her. Ginny sat there laughing and pointing at Hermione and Harry. "Too funny! Too funny! - I knew it would happen, even if it was in a dream!"

Getting frustrated, Hermione retorted, "Ginny! It was just a dream!"

Harry now not able to stop himself, started chuckling himself. "Aargh!" Hermione grabbed her books and stormed off. Watching the storm gather, Ginny realized, "Did I say something?" Harry shrugged his shoulders and put his hands up nonverbally saying he didn't do it.

***

"It was just a dream. Why are they laughing and saying it will happen? I only dreamt it because I was thinking about . . . Ron!" Walking straight for her was the youngest male Weasley; he seemed down spirited.

"Hey, Hermione."

"Hi, Ron. Where have you been?"

"With the bloody librarian." Hermione shook her head at the rude language. "And . . ." she encouraged him.

"She gave me a detention - with Snape," he muttered angrily grinding his teeth.

"Oh, Ron. I told you I would take it back! Now you have to pay for my silly mistake. Can I make it up to you somehow?" Hermione replied quickly.

Ron thought for a moment. "No. I'll be fine." Then Ron's eyes got suddenly big. "But maybe you can do my Potion's essay due tomorrow!"

"Oh, Ron! Why do you always try and get out of doing your homework? You'll never learn anything if you don't do it yourself!" Having said her two-cents, Hermione took off towards her next class, Muggle Studies. Ron watched her go then finally said, "Is that a no on the homework?"

***

As evening approached, a misty grey overcast rolled in by the blasting wind. With every growing second an immense storm approached the gloomy castly. Classes had ended and Quidditch practice was commenced. Detentions were started and homework getting done. Out on the Quidditch Pitch, the Gryffindor team was practicing, although with much difficulty. When they had found out Ron had to be in a detention instead of at practice, Bethany Thaire and Aaron Dixon had thrown tantrums because they had to trade positions with eachother playing Ron's position as Keeper. Not to mention the unbeatable force of stinging wind that intensified their practice.

"Harry! I can't even catch the Quaffle let alone see it! I can barely see the end of my broomstick! Please let us take a break!" a teammate yelled hoarsely through the gust.

Diving downward toward his team, Harry thought about his much needed answer. Approaching them, a light bulb flashed in his head. Taking a deep breathe he began. "We need the practice. This weather will allow us a great advantage over the Slytherin team this next weekend. I know you guys, and girls, are very strong in any kind of disadvantage; that's why I chose you for the powerful Gryffindor Quidditch team." At this point, Harry's voice started to grow into an immense roar. He continued, "Now, let me see you take some Gryffindor pride, and work harder than ever. You are more powerful than this wind, better than all the other Quidditch teams here at Hogwarts. What do you say? Can we win this weekend! Can we finish this practice?!"

Wide-eyed and bewildered, the Gryffindors looked at each other then back at Harry. While waiting for a reaction, Harry struck a defensive pose. All of a sudden, Bethany and Aaron broke out in cheers and started clapping. Harry, wondering what was up, made up his mind and took a bow on his broom.

"Let's get started!" he shouted, but feeling something like a tap on his shoulder, Harry turned toward his left.

"I think they were clapping for me, mate," Ron grinned.

Harry's face went slightly red before he yelled, "Bethany, Aaron, get back to your regular positions. Ron, place yourself in front of the hoops. Everyone else, resume what you were doing before we held this pity party." He took off speeding on his broomstick, trying to make everyone think he was searching for the snitch, but actually flying just high enough so he could be out of eye and earshot.

"Man, why does my team seem to disrespect me so much. If I say they need to practice more, and not to mention in the wind, then they should go out and not complain. I'm captain, I know what's best for them," Harry finished. Thinking a moment, he suddenly burst out laughing; the noise of laughter echoing through the stadium. "I sound like Wood. His aggresiveness must have rubbed off on me throughout the years. Wow . . ."

KRASH! BAM!

"Harry!"

"Take them to the hospital wing," he demanded. Shaking his head and talking to himself again he whispered, "A good waste of practice right there." He flew down to the ground and headed out of the stadium to the showers.


A Last Glance by Kate Mari
Author's Notes:
I have had a blast writing this fan fiction. I'm sorry it has taken so long to finish. Keep reading and writing!
~K.M.
~End of last chapter~

CRASH! BAM!
"Harry!"

"Take them to the hospital wing," he demanded. Shaking his head and talking to himself again he whispered, "A good waste of practice right there." He flew down to the ground and headed out of the stadium to the showers.
*
Chapter 7
*
'How'd this happen?' Harry asked Ron. They were standing in the infirmary watching Aaron and Bethany, both laying in hospital beds, laugh at a story Ginny was narrating.

'I guess those two started going after the same bludger, but didn't realize it because they couldn't see through the rain. Next thing there was a heap of body limbs and brooms,' Ron said shaking his head. 'Ya know Harry, I really don't think we should have been practising in that weather.'

Harry's face went red. 'Ron, you know as well as I do, that Wood would have made us practice!'

'But that was Wood! Not you. You're more level headed than that. Or at least I thought.' He said the latter part under his breath, so Harry couldn't hear him. 'But Harry, I need to talk to you - privately.'

Harry got a quizzical smirk on his face. 'Is it about Hermione?'

Ron's ears turned red as he left the room with Harry.
*
Ginny barreled into Hermione's dorm room, tossing her Quidditch belongings onto one of the beds. Hermione, the only other person in the dorm, was calmly lounging on her own bed, reading a very thick novel.

'Hermione! You'll never guess what happened at practice,' Ginny rapidly gestured.

'What, Ginny, what?!' Hermione cried out trying to replicate Ginny's own voice while chuckling to herself. Ginny gave her a stern look that looked a lot like her mother's and carried on. 'Thanks to Harry's wonderful idea of practicing in that wicked storm outside, Aaron and Bethany are now in the hospital wing!'

'What?!' Hermione exclaimed.

'Yeah, but they're fine. Just a few bumps and bruises here and there.' Ginny combed through her long, red hair with her fingers.

'That's good,' Hermione sighed. 'As long as they are not seriously injured. But Harry really does need to be more careful. He's the captain, and everyone looks up to him -'

'Hermione, calm down. Don't get yourself all riled up,' Ginny interjected. Hermione closed her mouth and looked down at her book to resume reading. A loud crack of lightning followed by a thunderous boom startled the two Gryffindors. Unable to stand anymore silence between them and to quit thinking about the storm, Hermione glanced up to Ginny, asking her, 'So - is Ron out of detention yet?'

Ginny raised one of her eyebrows. 'Do you really care that much?'

'Gin, just because he's your brother doesn't mean that you can't care what happens to him. Besides, he is one of my best friends, you know - and...and I really do feel sorry for him because it was my fault and all . . .' Hermione stumbled on her words growing pink in the face- something unusual for her.

'Sure . . .' Ginny gave her a wink. Sensing Hermione's discomfort, she decided to take advantage of the moment. 'Urghhh!!! Just tell me already! You like my brother, you've always had. Admit it!' she pressured.

'Ginny! Why are you accusing me of liking Ron in that way? Of course I like Ron, but -'

'I knew it! Ha!' Ginny laughed, relieved that she'd finally tricked Hermione into telling her. Hermione, though, blushed a rosier pink and gave a resounding sigh. 'Gin, I have a few confessions to make.'

A few moments later, Ginny's squeal echoed in the Gryffindor common room.
*
*BOOM! CRACK!*
Hermione jolted up with a start. The thunderstorm raged strong with force, belting against the glass windows and whistling through the treetops of the Forbidden Forest. She could hear her roommates snoring, which meant they were unaffected by the loud noises. Hermione pulled the silky covers up over her head to try and drown out the sounds outside, but the crashes of thunder were like cymbals smashing against her eardrums.

Giving up on the idea of sleeping, Hermione snatched her book off of her bedside table and fumbled towards the door. Once inside the stairwell, she could see the faint orange gleam of the last embers in the fireplace. Reaching the common room, she climbed into a squishy armchair and began to read her book. A few minutes later, a stifled yawn from a corner startled her.

Sitting, staring out at the storm through the frosted window, was Ron.

"You can't sleep, huh?" she whispered across the room.

Turning to look at the voice, Ron mumbled back, "No. You?"

"No, not a bit." Hermione replied. "I just thought I'd try and finish my book. This storm seems relentless." Ron nodded in agreement and then turned back to watch a bolt of lightning strike a tree in the forest and ignite it.

"Oh my!" Hermione started.

"Let's go take a look!" Ron said with excitement, as his blue eyes reflected the gold flames.

"Ok," Hermione replied, hesitantly standing up and following Ron through the castle.

Taking Hermione's hand as they ran, Ron led her through the sheets of water lashing from the dark purple clouds. Hermione, although frighteningly entranced by the flames, couldn't keep her excitement from rising as her hand held intertwined in Ron's.

"We'd better not go any further," Ron finally said coming to a halt. Hermione dared a glance towards Ron's direction; he looked mystified. 'He looks . . .' she thought, trying hard to find a word to describe his reaction, but none seemed to describe correctly how she finally let herself feel about him at that moment. All the feelings of hope and a first love bottled up in her for almost six long years were emblazoned in her glossy eyes. Time had frozen yet again, and the only thought that tingled across her brain was one of Ron. It was, she agreed to herself, all thanks to Ginny's persistent nagging that she took the next step.

Gathering every ounce of courage and bravery within her, she stepped in front of Ron, took hold of his shoulders and lifted onto her tiptoes locking lips with, who she thought was, the most wonderful guy. To her amazement, he leaned forward into her and placed his arms around her waist.

Hermione felt like she was being lifted into the air, floating on mystical clouds. A variety of memories came floating back to her as she stood kissing the man she knew she loved. Memories of the first time they had met on the Hogwarts Express, the night of the Yule Ball when she had a massive row with Ron; the night she found him in the common room where she tried to help him with his problems with Harry; and, of course, the day she had fallen off of the stool down in the kitchens because she had been too entranced by his icy blue eyes. They pulled away from each other to gaze into one another's eyes.

"Ya know," Ron said quietly with a grin on his face. "Harry did say this was going to happen." Hermione chuckled.

"Funny, so did Ginny." Ron too started laughing. A few minutes passed as they stood there taking in what had just happened, before a strike of thunder and the crack of a branch falling to the ground from the burning tree reminded them of the dangers they were in outside in a thunderstorm.

Ron spoke up, "We'd better head back in before something bad happens."

"Yeah, my thoughts exactly," Hermione replied with a slight smile.

Ron took hold of Hermione's hand as they strode back up to the castle. Hermione glanced one last time up at Ron before walking inside the castle; and yet again, she became entranced in his icy blue eyes.

~Fin~

A.N. I hope some parts of this story satisfied all of you; I thoroughly enjoyed writing it. Please leave your comments, I love to hear what all of you have to say. I am thinking of writing again. What do you think? Once again, thank you for everything! Please keep reading and writing!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=15216