Swapping with Snape by Loz
Summary: Thanks to an ingenious plan of Dumbledore's, Severus Snape and Harry Potter swap bodies. They're doing this to fight Voldemort.

Dumbledore says it's the only way Harry can survive. But can Snape get over the trials and tribulations of being a teenager again, and can Harry battle unruly Potions students and greasy black hair?

In short - will either of them survive?

The latest chapter is shown from Snape's point of view.
Categories: Humor Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 26 Completed: Yes Word count: 35656 Read: 110756 Published: 11/11/04 Updated: 06/29/05

1. Chapter One by Loz

2. Chapter Two by Loz

3. Chapter Three by Loz

4. Chapter Four by Loz

5. Chapter Five by Loz

6. Chapter Six by Loz

7. Chapter Seven by Loz

8. Chapter Eight by Loz

9. Chapter Nine by Loz

10. Chapter Ten by Loz

11. Chapter Eleven by Loz

12. Chapter Twelve by Loz

13. Chapter Thirteen by Loz

14. Chapter Fourteen by Loz

15. Chapter Fifteen by Loz

16. Chapter Sixteen by Loz

17. Chapter Seventeen by Loz

18. Chapter Eighteen by Loz

19. Chapter Nineteen by Loz

20. Chapter Twenty by Loz

21. Chapter Twenty-One by Loz

22. Chapter Twenty Two by Loz

23. Chapter Twenty-Three by Loz

24. Chapter Twenty Four by Loz

25. Chapter Twenty-Five by Loz

26. Chapter Twenty Six by Loz

Chapter One by Loz
“You what?” Harry exclaimed, his eyes wide and his glasses falling to the tip of his nose.

“You heard what I said, Harry.” Dumbledore said quietly, looking at Harry intently.

“But you’ve got to be joking. Tell me, tell me this is just a joke. This is some kind of therapy, that’s what it is. You’re trying to ease my stress by making me laugh,” Harry gave a half-hearted laugh and pushed his glasses back up. He stood in Professor Dumbledore’s candle lit office, the bookshelves loomed above him like laughing giants.

“This is no joke, Harry” Professor Dumbledore said somewhat exasperated, “Please calm down!”

“Calm? You expect me to be calm when you force me into this ludicrous lose-lose situation?” Harry was growing more and more frantic, his voice was raised and his face a picture of absolute horror. He seemed to be finding it hard to breath, sweat was beginning to show on his forehead, and he was anything but calm.

“It is not a lose-lose situation, Harry, it is a plan, and about the only one we have right now,” Dumbledore replied. He sat back in his chair slightly, as if awaiting an attack.

“But I can fight him, I know I can!” Harry said.

“No you can’t. You’re only sixteen, how can you possibly be expected to fight the dark lord just yet?”

“Oh, so I’m expected to pose as one of his ex-Death Eaters? How is this going to work? I’m shite at Potions!” Harry screamed at the old man in front of him.

“Watch your language, Potter,” a deep cold voice emanated from the dark corner.

“You know I am Professor Snape. You can’t possibly think this is a good idea!” Harry said, turning to the head of Slytherin with an almost pleading attitude.

“I think Professor Dumbledore knows exactly what he is doing. If he says we have to take these drastic measures then I am perfectly willing to do so. If you are going to take my position you had better learn to respect and value your elders.”

“So it is agreed,” Dumbledore said, placing his hands together slowly, “Severus Snape is to become Harry Potter and Harry Potter is to become Severus Snape.”

********************

Harry walked outside feeling the cool breeze lap against his face and play with his hair. He felt terrible. He thought about what Dumbledore had said, about the plan he was about to embark upon. It wasn’t a plan, it was ridiculous. How on earth could he convincingly play the part of the down-right evil Potions master? Worse still, how could Snape play him? What would Ron and Hermione say when they found out the boy they thought was their best friend for three months actually turned out to be their irascible teacher? He wanted to tell them, to warn them somehow, but he remembered what Dumbledore had said.

“No-one must know, Harry. You must understand this. It would compromise the situation entirely and put everyone’s lives at risk.”

“But couldn’t we use someone else, I mean… why Professor Snape? Why not Lupin?”

“He is the only one with the skills to pull this off successfully, you know that Harry. Plus, better Severus here than your friend Remus. You wouldn’t want the added danger of becoming a werewolf every month, would you?”

“You mean this is going to last longer than a month?”

“Three months, at least, I think Harry. We’re going to have to start preparing you both straight away. You will have to get to know each other extremely well. Perhaps even better than you know yourselves.”

Meanwhile, Snape had just stood there, not saying a thing. Harry was sure he must be as livid as he himself was. Suddenly he heard footsteps coming from behind.

“Potter!” Snape’s voice hissed. Harry turned around to see the dark menacing figure of Snape loom up. His yellow teeth were bared as he spoke next, “Potter, the headmaster wants you back inside. Now.”

“Professor Snape. You can’t honestly be willing to go through with this?” Harry whispered in a last attempt at freedom. “I mean, this harebrained scheme can’t be the only way of stopping Voldemort!”

“Do not utter his name in public so casually. How many times do I have to tell you? And stop telling me what I can and cannot be willing to do. To be honest I do not wish to subject myself to any time in your form, let alone three months. Do you really think I want to be known as Harry Potter. That I want associate with your friends? And spend time in the Gryffindor Common room? Can you seriously see me liking the idea of being a student again? Unlike you I am willing to do what I have to, however. Perhaps you don’t understand the severity of the situation?”

Harry stared up at Snape and knew he loathed him with every fibre of his being. He was going to hate this, he could tell.
Chapter Two by Loz
Severus swept up the stairs to Professor Dumbledore’s office with as much authority as he could muster. Each step seemed to be mocking him, to be laughing uproariously at his misfortune. For a moment he seriously considered turning back to Voldemort. He did not want his body at the mercy of that horrible Potter boy. He did not want to have to live the young Gryffindor’s life. He wanted to be in his office, curled up at the fire with a crossword and a do-not-disturb sign planted firmly on his locked door. Dumbledore was adamant, however. The older man was sure this was the only way of ensuring the Wizarding World’s survival. As much as he hated to admit it, Harry Potter was important and better he, Severus, die at the hands of Voldemort than Harry. His insides gave a dramatic twist as he thought about his mind, his soul, being in another vessel. He hoped Dumbledore was right when he said it was Harry’s mind, and not his body that held his power. For a moment he wondered if Harry would be able to speak Parseltongue within his form but he crushed the thought and billowed into the office, Potter just ahead of him.

“Ahh good, Severus. Harry, you had a nice walk I suppose?” Dumbledore said, standing by the window with his white beard flowing majestically.

“Yes. It was lovely,” the churlish child said belligerently. Severus momentarily considered all the things he could do to straighten out the boy’s temperament. Perhaps taunts about what he could do during Quidditch would work? But no. He wasn’t going to jeopardise the mission with mild amusements. It was too risky for that. He would behave himself if Potter would. Once again he squirmed slightly knowing that in one short week he would have to live a lie.

“Right, I really do think we’re going to have to have a series of extensive information sessions before we perform the ritual. And some practice sessions afterwards,” Dumbledore was saying, “Severus, you start.”

“Where do I begin, Headmaster?”

“Well, how about your favourite colour?” Dumbledore said with a slight twinkle in his eye.

“I really don’t know who would ask such an inane question, but the answer is Silver,” Severus replied, looking at the older man with cool politeness.

“Don’t address me, Severus, tell Harry!” Dumbledore said next, waving his hand at Harry, who had a look of mild surprise on his face.

“Your turn, Potter,” Severus simply said, bringing his arms across his chest.

“I don’t have a favourite colour, Professor,” Harry said. Snape sighed. He could tell this was going to take a very long time indeed.

***********

After a rather long time which yielded no results Dumbledore walked over to his bureau and extracted a small golden device. Severus had never seen one before, but he had read about them. It was an Accluma, a device used for storing information and transferring it to whomever needed it. To his knowledge there were only three which still existed.

“What’s that?” the stupid boy asked and Severus decided to allow Dumbledore to respond.

“It’s a handy little knick knack I almost forgot about, Harry. You hold it in your hand and it will gather facts about you, useful pieces of information which Severus can then learn. It takes things from your subconscious, things that you probably think are irrelevant but are no doubt integral to who you are,” Dumbledore replied. Severus raised his eyebrow at the tone he took towards Harry, whose expression became even more horror stricken and uncivil.

“I don’t get to choose what it takes?” Harry asked, Dumbledore shook his head. “Then I don’t want to do it!”

“Harry, what have I already told you?” Severus smirked when he saw that Dumbledore was growing more impatient and annoyed with the teenager. “You have to let Severus know all of your secrets, otherwise this won’t work.”

“But they’re secrets because no-one else is supposed to know them, Professor!” The boy practically yelled.

“Tough luck!” Dumbledore said, placing the Accluma into Harry’s hand. Harry looked as dumbfounded as Severus felt at seeing the usually patient and benign headmaster behave in such a forceful way.

Harry took on a dazed expression for a moment and then Dumbledore took the Accluma and placed it into Severus’s outstretched hand. He had learnt not to argue with Dumbledore in these situations. There was really nothing he could do so he might as well do as he was told. As he grasped the Accluma he had the most odd sensation. His stomach felt like it was inhabited by small fluttering creatures and little flashes of light seemed to be dashing across his eyes. It was taking all of his willpower to keep standing up straight.

It was over in a matter of moments and strange thoughts kept floating around his head. He liked pumpkin juice but he preferred butterbeer. His favourite colour was crimson. He hated summer. He loved Hogwarts but hated schoolwork. Severus shook his head a moment and looked at the boy these thoughts came from. There were so many things he would never have guessed at. Many things he’d rather not have known. He grew more apprehensive about this, wasn’t he giving the boy weapons to use against him? No, he had to stop thinking like this. He clasped the Accluma tightly again and concentrated. This time the feeling was completely different. He felt so light and airy, like he was floating up towards the ceiling. It stopped all too soon and before he knew it he was handing the Accluma over to an apprehensive looking Harry.
Chapter Three by Loz
Harry felt outraged. This was not fair! He wanted to start demolishing the furniture, he wanted to swear and rant and generally behave as badly as possible. But all he could do was stare as Snape absorbed his private thoughts, memories and beliefs. He lived in dread over what Snape’s information could contain. Random visions of cannibalism and goat sacrifice came into his mind before he took hold of the golden device in front of him. As he took it he felt so strange. Before he had felt so calm and relaxed, but now he felt like he did when he was flying, his senses heightened and his adrenaline pumping.

As the flashes of information stopped Harry looked at Snape in awe. He almost wished he had seen what he had dreaded seeing in the first place. Since when did Snape write poetry for pleasure? What the hell was he doing owning a pair of slippers, let alone fuzzy bat slippers? Snape liked dancing? Had the world gone mad? Harry was finding it hard to breathe. Things were not right. Things were definitely not right! This was madness, surely? The Accluma had malfunctioned?

Harry now knew more than he’d ever wanted to know about his Potions professor. Dumbledore asked both of them to sit down and Harry obediently obliged only because he feared his legs would collapse underneath him if he didn’t. The older man seemed rather amused.

“Now you should both know at least enough to have a good estimate of what the other is really like. Do you agree?”

Harry shook his head numbly and saw Snape doing the same thing. Snape seemed almost as shellshocked as he felt. He had always felt like Snape had no personality outside of being a miserable old git but now he knew what music Snape liked he came to the startling revelation that Snape really wasn't that old. No older than Lupin. No older than Lockhart had been, and not much older than Quirrell. Certainly not as stupid or pompous as either of the latter two but definitely not as nice as Lupin. He cast another glance at this man who held so much authority over him, who seemed so forbidding and imposing and was surprised at how human he now appeared.

“Very well. Remember, you are not to say a word of this to anyone else. Do not even hint that you might be acting strangely. If you do, everyone’s lives will be at stake. Understand?”

Harry nodded again.

“Fine. You are dismissed. I suggest you make the most of the time you have,” Dumbledore said.

Harry still didn’t want to assume Snape’s position, he hated knowing what he now knew about his Potions Master, he still dreaded the knowledge that he only had a week’s freedom to be himself within himself, but he knew that now they had taken this step, there was nothing he could do or say to stop the inevitable.

*********

The week flashed before Harry’s eyes at the speed of light. There was nothing he could say, nothing he could do, but go to classes like normal. He had to pretend everything was okay. He had to act like everything was the same as it always was and always would be.

“Are you alright Harry? You seem a bit… quiet,” Hermione said the afternoon the ritual was to take place. They were in the Great hall eating lunch. Ron looked at Harry with a concerned expression as well. Harry had been thinking about how long it would be before he would be able to eat breakfast with his friends like this again.

“What? No. I’m fine, Hermione,”

“This isn’t about your date with Cho is it?” Hermione asked quietly. Harry practically squealed. His date with Cho. He had a date with Cho in a week’s time. How could he forget? They’d have to postpone the ritual now, surely? Harry shook his head, reassured them he was fine and excused himself from the table. He had to talk with Dumbledore. He had to make sure he got his message across. Dumbledore wasn’t at his usual place at the head table so Harry went out of the Great Hall. Harry found the older man talking to a portrait in the hallway.

“I’m sorry Harry, but we can’t postpone it for a week. We don’t have a week. You will just have to tell Miss Chang you are unable to make your date,” Dumbledore said once Harry had explained the situation.

“But, Professor!” Harry said in vain. His stomach was churning and his heartbeat racing as he went on a search for Cho. It was only their second date. Things were going so well. Why was life so unfair?

“Cho? Can I speak with you please?” Harry asked quietly standing at the Ravenclaw table. Luckily, Hermione and Ron appeared to have finished their meal.

“Sure. What’s up Harry?” Cho asked.

“I’m… I’m very sorry but I… I won’t be able to go on that second date with you. Not for a while, actually.”

“Why not?” Cho asked looking both concerned and annoyed at the same time.

“I can’t explain. I just can’t. I’m sorry!” Harry said apologetically. Cho seemed distraught and disbelieving. Harry stepped back from the table nervously and left the Great hall. He intended to go back to his dormitory for some time alone.

“Potter, I want a word,” Snape called from behind. Harry stopped dead in his tracks. “I hope you were not informing Miss Chang of any changes in behaviour you may display, Potter,” Snape hissed.

“No, sir. Nothing like that!” Harry replied. He felt physically ill.

“You better not be lying to me, Potter,” Snape said before swinging around and resuming his place at the head table. You’ll know soon enough, Harry thought depressed before treking back to his dorm room.
Chapter Four by Loz
Snape curled his lip up. He knew the boy was lying, but he couldn’t prove it. He was feeling physically ill this day. This final day of freedom. If he had ten pence for every time his mind had dwelt on his impending doom he would be a very rich man. Dumbledore seemed determined to go through with it, even though Severus had hinted more than once that he had thought of other, more practical plans. As the middle of the week came and went Severus became more frantic, and less sure that he was doing the right thing. He tried Potion after Potion to try and determine if Dumbledore was under some kind of bewitchment, but to no avail, the Headmaster was as aware of his faculties as ever, and the older man was also telling the truth. He believed this was their only option. Still, Severus thought it was bordering on the absurd.

He shoved his fork into the steak and kidney pie on his plate, but he didn’t feel like eating. He looked over at Miss Chang instead, and tried to conclude if she was as worried about Harry as he sensed she was. His legilimency wasn’t working as well as he wanted it to in his heightened state, however and so he merely resigned himself to having to watch over everyone Harry had been in contact with during the week to see if they acted any differently. They didn’t appear to. He, himself, had not said a word to any of the staff, as Dumbledore had ordered. He had wanted to at least hint to Minerva that he might not be as thoughtful and literate during their weekly Magi-Scrabble games but that she shouldn’t let it concern her. He hoped she’d just be pleased that for once she was winning.

Afternoon classes came and went in the blink of an eye. He had only had the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuff third years and they were easily intimidated by his teaching methods. They were silent all class and this allowed him to finalise the detailed lesson plans he was going to leave for the brat. He hoped he had written enough information, just for the sake of his reputation, but he had no doubt the idiot would screw it up somehow.

Severus said the password to the entrance of Dumbledore’s office reluctantly. The idiot child was already there, looking as happy as he felt but then again the horrible creature only smiled in the most infantile of circumstances. Dumbledore was at his desk watching them both carefully so Severus turned to the older man and paid him due respect with a small nod.

“Thankyou Severus, now that you are both here we can proceed,” Dumbledore said in quietly husky tones. He walked into the centre of his office just in front of Severus and waved his hand. The desk, his various astronomical devices and chairs all floated up into the air. “Easier than placing them somewhere else in the short time we need them gone, you understand,” Dumbledore explained. He started to place small crystals in a circle around both Severus and Harry. The crystals were approximately an inch in diameter and three inches long, each one a different colour. He placed them on their sides, points facing inwards. Snape looked at them carefully, trying to remember where he had read about such quartz.

As he placed the crystals, Dumbledore chanted in an almost whisper. Severus wasn’t sure what Dumbledore was saying but he was sure it wasn’t a spell from any of the Wizarding books he had encountered. It sounded almost like Aramaic or another arcane language. It wasn’t derived from Latin, of that he was assured. He stood up eventually but kept chanting, his voice slightly louder than before. Severus was amazed to see his eyes had gone bright purple. He motioned for Severus and Harry to face each other and both males did so, looking at each other somewhat warily.

As Severus looked into Harry’s eyes, the boy’s irises started to glow purple, and Severus assumed by Harry’s worried expression that his were doing the same. A soft buzzing started to fill the room, growing louder and louder in a steady crescendo. A slight breeze wafted in, billowing his robes, slowly but surely becoming a furious gale that whipped his hair across his face. Still his eyes never left Harry’s until the moment a flash of light appeared before them and he felt himself being hurtled backwards. His back hit into the wall with full force, causing every muscle and bone to ache unbearably, and suddenly everything was black.

**********************

As he opened his eyes, Severus felt confused. For a moment he couldn’t remember what was going on, all he knew was that his whole body was in severe pain. Everything was blurry and he couldn’t understand why. He placed his hand on the floor to hoist himself up and his fingers came into contact with a cold metallic object. Instinctively he picked the article up and he could feel it was a pair of glasses. He didn’t know why he did it, but he put them on, and instantly everything came into focus. He could see himself slumped on the opposite wall. He panicked and stood up quickly, confused and distraught, and then realised what was happening.

His body started to move, or rather, Harry started to move, and Severus walked over to help him up. It was considerably harder than he thought it would be and he stared at his weakened arms in a state of shock. Dumbledore spoke then, surveying them both.

“This is not the end of the ritual, you must understand, that was only the beginning,” he said. “Come here!”

Both of them obeyed the Headmaster and stepped forward tentatively. Severus mused that it felt strange walking with shorter legs. Every fibre of his body was still throbbing. Not his body, Harry’s body, he had to remember that. He watched as Dumbledore took his hand, the hand that no longer belonged to him and positively cringed as he drew a blade across it, drawing a thing line of blood.

“What are you doing?” he asked, mentally balking at his voice which was now unnaturally high and immature. He felt like he was going to vomit on Dumbledore’s shoes.

“I am performing the next act in the ritual, Harry. Hand please,” Dumbledore said, taking Severus’s hand and drawing the knife across it.

“Don’t call me Harry!” Severus practically squealed, brushing his other hand through black untidy hair. He kept doing things he didn’t mean to.

“I have to, you know that. I cannot make the mistake of calling you by your real name in a public place. From now on you are Harry James Potter,” Dumbledore replied quietly.

“And I am Severus what-was-it?-oh-yeah Apollo Snape” the contemptuous boy said in deep silky tones. It was horrible listening to his voice come from another, even worse that he was ridiculing himself.

“And what is wrong with the name Apollo?” Severus asked as Dumbledore placed his hand against his real hand. He felt a sharp tingle as the blood from both bodies merged.

“Nothing. Just not what I expected, that’s all. One of the many strange facts the Accluma gave me insight into,” Harry replied.

“I’d watch the way you behave if I were you Potter,” Severus spat.

“Snape. You mean Snape,” Dumbledore interjected.

“Professor Snape,” Harry said with a small smirk. Severus felt absolute rage building up inside and couldn’t contain himself. He snapped. His smaller frame started beating into the person who stood before him, the body which looked like him but contained the thoroughly odious young man who seemed determined to piss him off.

“Please, Harry, stop,” Dumbledore said, pulling him away, “remember, your Occlumency needs your full containment of emotions and a good deal of control.”

“Sorry, Headmaster. It must be the hormones rushing through the boy’s body,” Severus said quietly yielding to the other man’s wishes. Dumbledore waved his hand and all the furniture came back into place.

“Sit down, both of you. There are a few things you need to learn.”
Chapter Five by Loz
Harry’s transference had been a painful one, and he was still nursing a sore arm from hitting the bookcases behind him. He was reeling from the change. Everything was so much smaller when you were that much taller. Dumbledore seemed to act like nothing had happened, like everything was fine, but everything was not fine. Harry felt like his insides had been torn in two, that life would never be the same again. And in a way, he was right.

Dumbledore got them to read out some sort of chant, not unlike the one he had said before and Harry amazed at how his voice was Snape’s voice, how his words were words Snape would use. He didn’t mean to sound like the Potions Master, it wasn’t his intention to adopt his mannerisms, but it occurred all the same like a natural reflex, as if a back-up in the eventuality something like this would happen.

For a moment there Harry had felt all powerful. He smiled as he thought of the joy he had felt in tormenting Snape. He was in authority, he was in the stronger body, he could threaten Snape. And then Snape has started hitting him and he felt infinitely weak again. He couldn’t even bring himself to pull himself off. It was a conflict between mind and body, heart and soul. It was just too strange for his mind to fully contemplate.

“And now I think it’s time for us to get to bed. Severus, could you stay behind a moment?”

“Do you mean him or me?” Harry asked tentatively stepping forward. Dark lank hair curled under his chin. “The first thing I am doing is having a shower,” Harry thought momentarily.

“You, of course, Severus,” Dumbledore said looking over his glasses. Snape hovered nearby.

“You want me to leave? Already?” he asked, sounding particularly nervous.

“Yes, I think it is best you go to bed, the others may be worried about you,” Dumbledore said with a wave of his hand. Harry watched as Snape shuffled slowly out of the room. He turned back to Dumbledore.

“What you did there, wasn’t particularly fair, Harry,” Dumbledore said quietly whilst piercing him with a razor sharp look.

“I know that I was impolite, Headmaster. I promise it won’t happen again,” Harry said before frowning, “I thought you were going to call me Severus from now on?”

“I will, when you are both in the room, or in public. But I felt it safe to address you informally whilst we’re alone,” Dumbledore replied. “How do you feel?”

“Not very good. I’m aching all over, and it is strange listening to myself speaking like Snape.”

“The pain will go away in a matter of hours and you will gradually get used to speaking differently,” Dumbledore said with a slight smile. “Be glad that these are the least of your concerns. Now, you know how to get back to your quarters, don’t you?”

“I think so.”

“I’ll show you the way if you are unsure,” Dumbledore said, standing up. He put his hand gently on Harry’s shoulder and steered the way out of the office. As they walked Harry mused on how different everything felt and started to look forward to a warm cozy bed.

***************

As he walked into his quarters, Harry felt a mixture of nausea and relief. It was lucky that Dumbledore showed him where to go, he would surely have lost his way. He had had a half-baked idea that his quarters were in the Dungeons, near the Slytherin common room. In reality, the Professor’s quarters were nowhere near there. Harry had never been in this wing of the castle before. It was beautiful, and very home-like. Dumbledore had pointed towards the rooms where the other Professors resided.

“I am just down there. Good night, Severus, sweet dreams!” Dumbledore had said before moving away.

Harry looked around the bedroom. It was a dark room. The walls were dark grey stone, the curtains dark green, the rug on the floor a deep maroon. There was a window by the bed, the curtain drawn and the moon glinting invitingly. A cupboard off to the right stood slightly open, and Harry could see a small mirror on the inside of the door. Next to the cupboard the door to the bathroom was closed. A music player and cabinet stood majestically in the corner. Harry decided a shower could wait until the morning, right now, the bed looked the most attractive option.

Harry walked over to the cupboard in an attempt to find some night clothes. Silver satin pajamas glided against his hand as he rummaged through the drawers underneath the actual wardrobe and Harry pulled them out.

“These will do,” he murmured absentmindedly unbuttoning his top button. He was barechested now as he started to slip on the nightshirt. He looked into the mirror, shrieked, and ducked out of view. He proceeded to undress with his eyes looking firmly away from his body. Snape’s body. As he slipped into the pajama bottoms he almost tripped over from looking steadfastly out of the window. As soon as he was dressed, Harry moved into the bathroom. A medicine cabinet was hung above the sink, a shower and a bath took up one whole side of the room, and a toilet was in the corner farthest from the door. Harry washed his hands and splashed some water on his face. He opened the cabinet to look for toothpaste and brushed his teeth quickly. He then walked back into the bedroom and sat on the bed.

Suddenly he felt a stirring from behind him, something was moving in the bed. He whipped around and saw two bright yellow eyes glinting at him. He gasped in fright and watched as a silver and black cat came crawling towards him. The cat wore a green collar and as he stroked the cat he saw the name Fidens engraved on a silver circle nameplate. The cat purred as it brushed up against him. In some ways it was not unlike McGonagall in her cat form, and for a second Harry had some very creepy thoughts before smiling grimly to himself over his overactive imagination and crawling under the sheets.
Chapter Six by Loz
Severus wandered slowly towards the Gryffindor Common Room. He knew where it was, but he hadn’t wanted to go there so quickly. He had wanted to acclimatise himself, he had wanted to speak with Dumbledore. But Dumbledore hadn’t wanted to talk with him, oh no, he was concerned about the boy. He started muttering to himself in his anger.

“Bloody Potter and his bloody…”

“Are you okay, Harry?” Severus halted in his tracks and moved around slowly to see who had called him. He was deeply concerned when he saw who it was.

“Yes, Miss… I mean, Hermione. I am fine. How… how are you?” Severus asked lamely. What was Granger doing out of the common room so late? Were those Potions books in her hands? Why did she have them? Was she the one who had stolen the wormroot? Was she concocting Potions behind his back? For what purpose?

“I’m okay. Just researching for that essay Snape gave us,” she replied carelessly.

“Don’t you mean Professor Snape?” Severus asked outraged. They had continued walking to the common room and were standing by the Fat Lady.

“Googoocachoo.” Hermione said to the portrait before continuing, “Since when do you care? You were calling him Slimy Snape last week. Where’ve you been all evening, anyway?”

“I have been doing work. With Dumbledore,” Severus said as they stepped into the room. There was no-one about. It was later than he had previously thought.

“Oh, okay then. Well, goodnight Harry, hope you feel better in the morning,” Hermione said with a frown before going up the stairs to the girl’s dorms. Severus brushed his hand across his face. He’d have to do better than that if he were to go undetected. Where were his master deception skills now?

He went up the stairs to the boys dorms, stopping at the door which he sincerely hoped was his one. He walked in looking about carefully. From what he could see in the dim light, the room was a tip. He couldn’t worry about ablutions now, he just wanted to go to bed. He walked towards the bed in front of him, he thought he could see the Potter boy’s broomstick standing by. He opened the curtain slightly. He perched tentatively on the edge of the bed as he started taking off his jumper and shirt. He jumped off the bed as he felt something touch his arm from behind.

“Gah!”

“Harry? Is that you?” a muffled voice asked, before a red head came out into the moonlight. A freckled face stared up at Severus in confusion,“It is you. What were you doing on my bed?”

“Uhhh sorry, uhhhh, Ron. I, I mistraced my steps because it’s so dark. I thought it was my bed,” Severus said, looking about furtively.

“Never happened before. Are you okay? You’ve been acting really…strange… lately,” the boy whispered.

“I am fine, really. I just had a stressful night, talking with the headmaster,” Severus replied. He commended himself on his quick save.

“Oh, wow? Really? What were you talking about?” Weasley asked back, moving forward slightly.

“Uhhmm, can we talk about it in the morning? I’m really tired now,” Severus said.

“Yeah, if you prefer,” Weasley replied, sounding slightly offended.

“Good. This is my bed right?” Severus asked, pointing towards the bed behind him. The boy chuckled.

“Yeah, and don’t you forget it. Night Harry.”

“Goodnight, Ron,” Severus said before slipping under the sheets. He figured there wasn’t much harm in sleeping in his school clothes.

**************

Sunlight drifted in through the open drapes of the bed. Severus twitched uncomfortably with half opened eyes. His mind was wandering off to strange places, distant lands and he wondered why the sun was so bright.

“Come on, wake up you lazy git,” an irish voice called, accompanied by a lot of clatter.

“Who are you calling a lazy git, Finnegan?” another young male voice asked as various bangs and crashes emanated through the room. So this was the boys dormitory in the morning. Severus supposed he should remember the feeling well, but it was a distant memory, and one that had been squashed to a miniscule part of the back of his mind. He felt vaguely out of place then, and he felt extremely out of place now.

“Harry, you awake?” another voice asked sounding like it was stifling a yawn. Severus took a moment to contemplate his reply.

“Yeah,” he said eventually, rolling to his side. The school shirt’s sleeves had rolled up and were cutting painfully into his skin. Perhaps sleeping in the uniform had not been the wisest of choices. For some reason he still held it preferable over any other choice at that point in time, however. He crawled out of bed, looking underneath for some comfortable footwear to put on.

“How does the wretched boy walk around without any slippers? These floors are cold, dusty and rough against the skin!”

“How are you this morning, mate?” Weasley asked, standing looking at him and stretching.

“Okay. Still tired. I’m gonna go have a shower, ok?” Severus replied, feeling proud at the way he was successfully emulating the boy’s lackadaisical approach to speech. He rummaged in the trunk at the foot of the bed for clothes and after finding some he thought suitable entered the bathroom in a trepidatious manner. He undressed as quickly as he could, dipping in and out of the shower, washing his hair, drying, and getting dressed in the clean clothes within a matter of minutes.

As he towel dried his hair he stared anxiously into the mirror. He hated this face, those wide green eyes, that mole, that stupid scar. So many times he’d just wanted to punch this face. And now it was his own. He started to comb his hair. He wished he had some hair gel, the jet black tufts just would not sit flat. Severus had always figured Harry just couldn’t be bothered presenting himself neatly but as he tackled the bothersome locks, he could tell why. This hair was impossible!

He came out into the dormitory to be confronted by the red-haired boy again as he was putting his worn clothes away.

“Breakfast and then quidditch?” the boy asked.

“Uhhh, aren’t you gonna have a shower too?”

“I did yesterday!”

“You don’t shower every day?”

“No, and neither do you… what’s all this interest in cleanliness?”

“It’s called hygiene!” Severus replied, exasperated and appalled. He contemplated spending days without washing away the residue of daily potion making and the thought made his stomach squirm.

“Ehh, hygiene’s for girls. Come on. Breakfast. I’m hungry!”

Severus followed the boy reluctantly. He hated this already, and only a night had passed. How was he going to survive?
Chapter Seven by Loz
A bell was ringing. The sound was persistent, rhythmic, annoying. Harry awoke confused and scared. Where was he? What was he doing here? Why was there a cat on his chest, purring? It took a full minute for his memory to kick in. He remembered now. Of course. He was Snape. A sharp tingle shot through his spine at this realisation and he got up slowly, pushing Fidens out of the way, and walked directly into the bathroom. He saw this two ways. He could either go to classes for the rest of the three months unbathed (as sometimes seemed to happen anyway) or he could brave constant embarrassment and wash.

He put a towel over the mirror, got undressed with his eyes squeezed shut, tried not to touch his body too much, jumped under the shower, grovelled for the taps, basked in the steady stream of water and then felt about for some shampoo. After ten minutes and being forced to open his eyes, he found the shampoo container, an ornate crystal bottle with a Slytherin snake around the stopper. He closed his eyes again as he poured some of the shampoo onto his hands and then started to massage it into his long black hair, starting at the roots. It smelt like citrus, so fresh and aromatic.

He stepped out of the shower, made sure his towel was doubled over (which provided a nice cushion), and started drying himself. He put the towel around himself, carefully, securing it under his armpits. He then got another big black fluffy towel and wrapped it around his hair like a turban. He went back into his room and surveyed the cupboard. He chose his clothes quickly, got dressed, and started to dry his hair. Suddenly he remembered an easy spell to use and before he knew it the towel was drying his hair by itself and he could concentrate on putting his shoes on.

After his hair had been dried and brushed he looked about for the list that Dumbledore had said Snape had left him. His tasks for each and every day. As he did so he caught a sight of himself in the mirror and was astounded to see his black locks flowing neatly. His hair looked good. He grinned. The shampoo had just been for show, he was sure. He’d teach Snape, now how would the disgruntled Potions man feel, to realise Harry had been doing something Harry guessed he had never done.

He found the long roll of parchment eventually, scribbled today’s tasks on a smaller piece of paper and skim read it. He decided he’d take it task by task. Harry went straight to number 2, as Snape had audaciously told him to bathe and get dressed as his first task.

*Feed Fidens. There is a container of cat food especially prepared for Fidens by the house elves in my kitchenette. Do not give him too much, two scoops will do the trick. Make sure there is plenty of ice cold water in his bowl.

Harry looked around. He couldn’t exactly see a kitchenette, or even a kettle. He saw door he hadn’t noticed before to the left, walked through it and saw that it was a small kitchen, equipped with a refrigerator, a coffee maker (both powered by magic presumably), cupboards, a kettle and a sink. Two bowls were on the floor. Fidens was already there looking up at Harry expectantly.

Harry gave Fidens his food and water and watched in bemusement as the cat attacked it with vigour. He then looked back at his list, hoping it would tell him to feed himself, but unfortunately he had to go down into the Dungeons and check on all the ingredients in his office.

*****************

Harry started to knock gently at the panels in the kitchenette. The parchment specified that there was an opening to a secret passage that led straight to Snape’s office in the Dungeons. He tapped and tapped for three minutes before he found it tucked in the corner. The stones shifted from side to side, much like the entrance to Diagon Alley, and Harry stepped through the opening to find himself in a small but well lit passage. It was rather grimy and the air was stale. Harry followed the passage and it slowly went down in an incline before launching into a flight of steps down further into the darkness.

After travelling for fifteen minutes Harry eventually came to what he hoped was the end of his journey. A stone wall was ahead of him. He started tapping randomly at the stone bricks before they moved apart. Harry swept into the room, heading straight for the shelves. He checked the quantities in the jars against a log-book Snape had devised that recorded weight and volume. He did the same in the Potions classroom.

“He really is meticulous,” Harry muttered as he endeavoured to assure himself that everything was in order. Everything appeared to be in place.

“No other students making illegal Potions then,” Harry said with a small smirk as he remembered the things that had been taken in previous years.

Taking a cursory glance at the list again he saw that he had a number of chores to do before he could go and resume his spot in the Great Hall. Harry muttered some more as he realised he had to actually brew a potion.

“Who makes Potions at this time of the morning?”

He chopped up the ingredients with a bored expression. So he needed a “here’s one I prepared earlier” for Monday’s first years lesson. So what? Couldn’t he have done it another time? It had to be done more than 48 but less than 56 hours before it was to be used. Hurrah. He kept double checking his instructions to make sure he was doing it right. As amusing as it would be to sully Snape’s reputation as Potions master extraordinnaire, he didn’t want to humiliate himself in front of the ickle firsties. He checked that the cauldron was hot enough and started stirring in the ingredients. Noxious fumes wafted up, causing Harry to stagger back.

“Is it any wonder he always has such a sour look on his face?” he thought as he crept nearer the cauldron again and continued on.

Once he had finished and set the Potion aside Harry frowned at the list. He had wanted to forget that his next task was to inspect the Slytherin Common Room and have a conference with the Prefects. As he was leaving the classroom he caught another glimpse of himself in the mirror above the washbasin. His once perfect hair was now hanging limp, looking like it had been dragged through an oil pit once, twice or even a hundred times.

“Well that explains it then. Sod!” Harry said before sneering and continuing on his way.
Chapter Eight by Loz
In the Great Hall Severus almost started walking towards the head table, and it was only a curious frown from one of the other Gryffindor students, the infernal Longbottom, that stopped him. The former Potions Master slunk back to the table embarrassed and had to remind himself to try and be like the boy. He bit into his toast reluctantly. Harry wasn’t at the head table yet, for some reason Severus felt a grim sense of satisfaction at this. At least Potter was doing as he was told.

Minutes passed and Snape listened in to the conversations around him. They were so puerile, so ridiculous. Not that most of the staff was any better, always wanting to discuss the most mundane things, but Severus’s level of agitation was intensified by the constant inane banter.

“You finished, Harry?”

“Uhhh, yeah.”

“Great, let’s get going then,” Weasley said whilst standing up. As they left Hogwarts, Severus saw Harry walk into the Great Hall. He already looked exhausted. Severus followed Ron mutely. He was trying to think of things to say to the other boy so that he wouldn’t notice he was inordinately quiet. Ron hadn’t appeared to notice anything out of the norm, however. They walked to the Quidditch Pitch, Severus doing his best to pay attention to the constant ramblings of Weasley. A dreaded Chudley Cannons supporter, didn’t the boy know that team was useless? It was the Wimbourne Wasps all the way.

“I don’t have my Broom!” Severus suddenly said, as not only did he remember that Potter’s flying device was still safe and sound in the Dormitory, but painful memories of flying came back to haunt him. He had never been especially good. In fact, he had always been rather terrible. The other students had laughed uproariously at his inadequecy during their first lesson few flying lessons. Black had never stopped tormenting him over it.

“That’s okay Harry, you can fly on one of the school ones,” Ron replied with a skeptical look, “I mean, you usually do when we’re just practicing. You did say you didn’t want to have a similar accident as the one you had with your Firebolt.”

Severus blushed slightly and murmured, “Yeah, but… I really wanted to go fast, you know, the school brooms fly like, uhhh, snails.”

“Yeah, but it’s just practice!” Ron rejoindered. They were at the pitch.

Ron went into the changing rooms and retrieved two of the school brooms. Severus simply stared. He hadn’t been on a broom for years, and he really didn’t want to start now. Ron got on his broom and Severus followed suit. The broom was unsteady in his hands, lifting off from the ground he felt all his courage waning. He seriously did not want to fly at this exact moment in time. As he rose higher into the air, he tried to calm his breathing.

He moved forward in the air, trying to keep steady and balanced, and attempting to go faster than the slow pace he was going now. He felt sure that if he could only go faster he would find balacing easier. He pushed forward, urging the broom to pick up speed. He started to go faster, eventually, but flying wasn’t easier at all. He dipped and swerved, did a loop-de-loop, and started veering off to the ground at an alarming rate.

As he did so, Ron called out, “Are you okay, mate?”

“I’m fine!” Severus called back, his voice treacherously belying his absolute terror. Any second he was going to fall off, he could feel it. “Actually, you know what? I’m not feeling well. I think it may be, uhhh, food…” suddenly he fell off the broom, as predicted, spiralling down to the grass beneath him. He landed in a slump. He was half-lying, half-sitting up. He groaned in pain.

“HARRY!” Ron called, worried. He flew down to the ground besides Severus. “Harry, Harry, are you alright?”

Severus looked up into the redhead’s eyes disoriented before bowing over and vomiting all over the other boy’s robes.

***********

Snape stared up at the white ceiling. He had no idea where he was.

“Madam Pomfrey, he’s awake!” a voice yelled to his side.

“Where am I?” he managed to choke out. The taste of bile was present. His tongue was large in his mouth and had the sensation of having been trodden on by a dozen dirty caterpillars. His head felt like it had been used as a target of charms practice for first years. His whole body ached, in fact. The memory of falling off the broom and being sick all over Weasley came back in swirling, glittering colour. The last part held a strange sense of humilation and satisfaction. Severus sat up in bed. His arm twinged with acute pain, worse than the rest of his body. “What’s happened to my arm?”

“You’ve just broken it dear, easily fixed. Lie back down.” Snape scowled. He didn’t want to lie back down. “I’m more worried about this seeming threat of food poisoning,” Pomfrey continued, “broken bones are simple to mend, but stomach upsets are much more difficult!”

“Don’t worry, Harry. You’ll be alright. You’ve battled worse things than a hurt tummy!” said the Granger girl, who Severus hadn’t noticed was standing next to the bed before.

“Yeah, Harry. You’ll be fine. You really had me worried there for a minute, though!” Weasley said. He was wearing a fresh set of clothes but still looked somewhat discomforted.

“Now you know he’s okay you two better get going!” Madam Pomfrey said shooing them away. Snape inwardly smiled. He wouldn’t need to attempt light-hearted banter when all he really wanted to do was rest. The two children left with little complaint, and Severus rested back amongst the sheets.

He had managed to doze off into a day dream about brewing the perfect pot of tea when he felt something touch his hand. Not wanting to open his eyes he pretended he couldn’t feel anything. Something stroked his hand once more, it felt like another hand.

“Poppy?” he asked quietly, wondering if perhaps the Healer knew about the body swap. She had been eyeing him strangely ever since Christmas and had wanted to dance at Easter. Now that he was vulnerable and alone in the Hospital Wing maybe she had decided to make her move? He didn’t like the idea one bit and would have to have a long conversation with her about why it just couldn’t work out. They were colleagues. They depended upon each other to function within the school. They couldn’t just have an illicit affair, what would the others think? Yes, that would work better than telling her she was a dumpy old windbag.

“Who’s Poppy?” a female teenager’s voice asked. He could take it no longer, Snape opened his eyes slowly to see Cho Chang, Ravenclaw, sitting on the bed stroking his hand.

“Uhhh, Cho! What are you doing here?” Severus asked. He tried to pull his hand away but unfortunately she had now enclasped it in her own.

“I heard about your fall and came to see if you were alright,” the girl practically purred.

“I’m fine. Now leave!” Severus said, panicking.

“Harry, why are you acting so strangely around me? Is it because you’re scared?” the girl asked, moving closer.

“Terrified, now go, before Madam Pomfrey finds you,” Snape replied, trying to keep his voice as even as possible. This new voice had a horrible way of going high and raspy at the most annoying of times.

“I’ll only go if you promise to still come out with me tomorrow night!” Cho said, smiling mischievously.

“I’m not well! I have a broken arm!” Severus said, astounded. What did the Potter boy have that made a girl go this nuts over him? In all his time at Hogwarts not one girl had ever been this persistent.

“You’ll be fine by tomorrow, as you well know. Come on Harry, a picnic, like we agreed. Down by the lake,” the girl said. Severus thought he could hear noise coming from the infirmary office. He imagined the scene now. Perhaps the girl would just get told off, or maybe something else would happen. Maybe Pomfrey would ask the girl to help, he had seen her do things like that before. The last thing he wanted was to try and spend an afternoon talking to someone he hardly knew, so of course, the best thing to do would be to use a delay tactic.

“Alright, alright” he hissed, “go now, please?”

“See you tomorrow, Harry” Cho said with a parting smile before turning away. Severus sighed with relief. Before he could close his eyes again and examine just how much trouble he was in, however, the girl came back. She leant over and kissed him on the cheek. “This is to remember me with” she said before turning around once more and departing.

“I won’t have any trouble doing that,” Severus thought.
Chapter Nine by Loz
Harry sat down at the main table gratefully. He was already very tired and the day had only begun. He ate a piece of toast with marmite and started sipping on the pumpkin juice nearby. He half-heartedly looked at the students. It was strange to see the view of the hall from here. The few students who were left were chatting away ignoring anything around them. Harry saw Hermione speaking with Neville. He wanted to go over and ask how they were and whether they had seen “Harry” that morning but realised this would be highly suspicious.

“How are you this morning, Severus?” a small voice asked next to him.

“I am fine, thankyou Professor Flitwick,” Harry automatically responded.

“Looking forward to the party tomorrow night?”

“What party?”

“Minerva’s birthday party, of course.”

“Professor McGonagall is having a birthday party?” Harry asked in shock. Flitwick started to look at him strangely.

“You should know. You co-organised it. Have you been hovering over any particularly noxious fumes today Severus?”

“Uhmm, yes. Yes, I am not quite myself today, uhhh, Filius,” Harry responded.

“That much is clear. Excuse me, could you pass the grapefruit? Thankyou.”

Harry finished his breakfast slowly. He wanted to savour the food. He wasn’t entirely sure when he’d be able to have any more. He looked around for Dumbledore but couldn’t see him at the table. When he went on his obligatory tour of the school (on the lookout for rule breakers) he didn’t see him either.

The next couple of hours seemed to drag on for eternity. Doing as he was instructed, Harry patrolled the school, made another potion in preparation for a class and read through his instructions for the classes time and time again. He had lunch, did more of his prescribed duties and found himself in the midst of boredom. Still it was only mid-afternoon and Harry felt that a teacher’s life must be very dull.

When he was finally released from duty, Harry decided he would try and occupy his time. He went back up to his quarters and rummaged around. Ordinarily he would never do something so rude as to poke and pry through other people’s belongings but these were exceptional circumstances. He sat crosslegged on the floor in front of the closet and started looking through the boxes which were piled up at the bottom.

The first box revealed itself to be of no interest. It was full of old textbooks and from what Harry could evince, that was all. The second box was much more enticing. There was something glittering right at the bottom of the box, and Harry knew that if only he could get this far he would be rewarded. The rest of the stuff in the box seemed to be junk. He lifted the items out carefully, trying to remember how they’d been packed. He reached down and managed to pull it from underneath everything else after a time. He examined it, spread it out and realised it was a cloak. It wasn’t just an ordinary cloak either. Harry grinned with evil mirth as he came to the realisation that he was once more in possession of an invisibility cloak.

Just as Harry had finished packing the things back there was a rap at the door. Harry smoothed out his robes and opened the door tentatively.

“Ready, Severus?” Minerva McGonagall asked holding a flagon of what looked like wine and a wide, square but compact box.


*******************

“Uhmmm. Err. Yes, Minerva. Come right in!” Harry said, stepping to the side. He looked warily at his head of house as she made her way in and conjured up a small table and two chairs. She set the box on the table and opened the lid.

Small tiles inscribed with letters came floating up into the air, dancing in a circle. As they did so, coloured lines of light appeared and arranged themselves in a grid. Harry stared at it mesmerised. It was a scrabble board in the air.

“Sit down Severus,” McGonagall said, setting up two glasses, placing some biscuits on a plate with cheese and putting the magi-scrabble box on the floor.

“Yes, Professor,” Harry said, sitting down awkwardly and rubbing his palms against his sides in fear and frustration.

Minerva raised an eyebrow, “Professor? You haven’t called me Professor in private company for fourteen years, Severus.”

“I,… I was looking at old pictures and was reminded of what it was like having you as a teacher myself, Minerva,” Harry responded quickly. The Accluma to the rescue again. Harry waited tentatively hoping she’d accept this as a reasonable excuse. The older woman seemed content with this answer as she merely started pouring wine into the glasses. Harry eyed the wine nervously. Should he decline? A drink might steady his nerves. He took a sip. He didn’t like the taste much, it wasn’t nearly as nice as the firewhiskey Hagrid had given him once to warm him up. He took another sip just in case.

“Now, who won last time?” McGonagall asked, pushing her glasses up her nose and surveying the grid to make sure everything was in order.

“I’m sure it must have been you, Minerva,” Harry replied stiltedly. He had absolutely no idea how to play scrabble and was racking his brain for memories the Accluma may have imparted about the gameplay. He only knew what a scrabble board looked like because Aunt Petunia occasionally used to play with a neighbour. She stopped when she had a five game losing streak.

“Nice of you to be so genteel, Severus but you and I both know I rarely win, it was just a matter of policy to ask,” McGonagall replied. She waved her hand and all the letters disappeared on the tiles. They were all blank. She took a tile from the air and looked at it after rubbing it once or twice with her thumb. Harry imitated her action and saw the letter “I” appear. McGonagall held up her tile between her two fingers.

“E” Harry said, assuming he was supposed to say the letter out loud. In an action of desperation Harry copied McGonagall again. She simply nodded and started to collect more tiles. Six others in total. Harry waited until she had finished and did the same thing, placing the letters on the little wood tray he had just noticed floating in front of his hand.

She waved her hand once more and five tiles did a little jig up to the board and placed themselves from the middle to Harry’s left. The tiles spelt out “lumos” and a little flare of pink bounced off to the right displaying “Double Word Score”, McG = 24, SnapeyPoo = 0. Harry gazed at the two names with a shocked frown. He took another sip of wine.

“After the bet last week, remember? You said I could use whatever name I wanted. Serves you right for saying Sybil would behave half way normally in the staff meeting,” McGonagall said.

“Right,” Harry said stiffly. He was dying to see the board from McGonagall’s perspective. He had a thought. Lifting up his glass once more to his lips he dribbled some wine over his hand. “Oh look at that, how clumsy I am. Excuse me Minerva.” Harry walked to the bathroom gazing behind himself and washed his hand. Luckily, McGonagall was examining her letters so he had a good look. As he thought, the letters still spelled “lumos” but they ran to the right. As he sat back down Harry peered at his letters intently, trying to see what word he could do. Suddenly he realised he could make “accio” using the “O” in “lumos” and happily waved his hand to command it so. He took another sip of wine. It tasted better now. He had a few of the biscuits and settled back in the chair waiting for McGonagall’s move.

The next hour passed in this manner, Harry learning the rules of the game by playing and covering up his mistakes by saying it had been a hard week. McGonagall didn’t seem to mind that he was lagging so far behind. In fact, she whooped with joy on many an occasion. It was strange to see her acting this way and Harry mused that it was a relaxed little friendship his two professors had going on. He had to admire that a Professor and former student could get along so well. McGonagall treated him in a respectful manner, establishing that she was older but not superior. Harry remembered what he had first thought about Fidens and grinned foolishly, he was certain nothing like that was established between these two people, they were just friends, but it was still amusing.

“Why are you so happy, Severus? You’re losing, see?” McGonagall said with a raised eyebrow. The score read McG= 331, SnapeyPoo=123. “You know, I really think I’ve won the game, what do you say “ forfeit?”

“Yes, why not?” Harry said. He was feeling a bit dizzy and he could have sworn the tiles were dancing about with little arms and legs. He attempted to stand up but swayed off to the side slightly.

“Have you been sneaking drinks whilst I wasn’t looking, Severus?” McGonagall said, coming over and holding Harry up.

“I think I may be coming down with something,” Harry slurred.

“Yes, so do I,” McGonagall said. She walked him over to the bed and sat him down. “You’ll be fine here, won’t you?”

For a second Harry wanted to ask her to stay, but he wasn’t so drunk as to not realise how that would sound. He just wanted some company. It had only been a day and already he was missing his friends. “I’ll be fine, Minerva. Thankyou for the game. Congratulations on winning!” he said, waiting patiently as she waved away the chairs and table and took the board under her arm.

“Goodnight, Severus!”

“Goodnight!” Harry replied, and slowly curled up into bed, not worrying about changing. He closed his eyes sadly and hoped that tomorrow would be a better day.
Chapter Ten by Loz
A night in the Hospital Ward was long, cumbersome and boring as boring could be. Severus spent his time thinking of ways to improve the Potions he was working on creating and imagining he was playing the Cello. The boy would be losing Scrabble right this minute and he was stuck here. The consolation was that he wasn’t among the riff-raff that comprised Gryffindor House. In the middle of the night Severus still wasn’t asleep. He was thinking of the horrible thing he was to be witness to in the next evening. A date with Cho Chang. The girl had been all over him. There was only one thing to do and that was to detract her interest in him in some way.

After finally getting to sleep in the small hours of the morning, Severus was rudely awoken by Madam Pomfrey who notified him he was fine and could leave. There was a note on his table, and it was from Chang informing him she would meet him by the Fat Lady portrait at six. He got changed and out of bed and decided to go to the Library for some light reading and research. Sitting in the corner with a large pile of books, Severus immersed himself in a world he was comfortable and familiar in. The good thing was that his reading voice had remained the same as it always was, his deep and silky tones. He dreaded to think what reading might have sounded like with Potter’s voice whining along. In a moment of indecision, however, he realised this inward comment was slightly unfair. He remembered all too well how his voice had been as a teenager. High, awkward and stilted, Severus had never been good with words.

He went off to the Gryffindor Common Room after several hours and after talking with Weasley and Granger for a few moments had a shower. They didn’t actually seem that surprised he had spent the day apart from them. And Severus thought the Potter boy’s minions never left his side! There were only a few minutes to go before Cho arrived and Snape messed about with his hair style. He gave up on making it neat and so opted for the reverse, knowing how popular this was these days. He made it as messy as possible. The result was that it was sticking up all over the place. Perfect.

The clothes he had selected were fairly bland and innocuous but he did his best to spruce them up by letting the shirt hang loose, rolling up the sleeves and wearing his pants as low as they could go. Now he looked like a typical teenager, complete disregard for neatness. He took a look in the mirror and had to say he looked like a scruffy ruffian, but a fairly stylish one. Now to start on his plan.

He said goodbye to Ron and Hermione who were giggling and smiling to themselves and went out the portrait hole.

*****************

Cho was already waiting holding a large picnic basket.

“Cho, baby!” Severus said with a grin.

“Hi, Harry!” the girl replied nervously. “So, are you ready?” Severus nodded and led the way. He didn’t offer to hold the basket, he didn’t wait for Miss Chang, he just steamed on ahead. “Uhh, Harry wait up, yeh?” she called.

He stopped, turned around and looked back. He grinned once more and gave a beckoning hand gesture. “Are you tired because you’ve been running through my mind all day?” he asked. As he looked at her expression he tried to gauge how creepy a statement she thought that was. She seemed taken aback by it, so he hoped she was becoming suitably turned off by his behaviour. “Didn’t you hear the latest health report? If you get puffed out so easily, you need to up your daily intake of vitamin me.”

The good thing about working in a Secondary School, Severus mused, was that you got to hear so many terrible things teenage boys were wont to say when attempting to attract the female sex. All of them failing miserably.

“Harry, are you okay?” Cho asked, looking somewhat distraught.

“Better than ever!” Severus replied, coming closer. “I’ve been wanting to get you to myself for ages so that I could just be me.”

“Then why aren’t you?”

“Why aren’t I what?”

“Being yourself?” Cho asked, walking forward frustratedly once more. Snape shrugged and followed her.

“Any ideas what we’re going to do on our next date?” he asked, seemingly innocently.

“How are you sure there is going to be a next date?” Cho asked increduously.

“Come on, Cho. You like me, don’t fight it,” Severus said doing his best to keep a straight face. He actually failed and decided a small smirk would be better anyway. He was hoping for fireworks so he wasn’t especially pleased with her next answer.

“Yes, I do like you, Harry. Maybe we can go to Hogsmeade together?” she replied. Severus shook his head as fast as he could.

“Promised Ron I’d scout out the back streets with him. We’re looking for a good place to … conduct certain business.”

“Oh? What kind of business?”

Severus smirked again and tapped his nose, “Strictly confidential.” In his experience, there was nothing teenage girls hated more than boys who had secrets they refused to tell. This was, of course, in complete contradiction with the mystery element girls loved so much. He was sure this fell into the first category, however, when Cho turned her nose up slightly and looked away.

They started walking down stairs and Severus decided this was the right time to do the foolish “impress the girl” tactic and jumped on the stone bannister, walking down with his arms outstetched. “Stop that! You’ll hurt yourself!” Chang screamed.

“Eh?” Severus asked. He jumped back down and attempted to put his arm around Cho’s shoulders. She fended him off.

“Stop behaving like a child.”

“I am a child. We’re children, Cho, come on, loosen up!” Severus crooned. One look at her face told him what he hoped. His plan was working without flaw. Cho Chang disliked him very much.

“I thought you were different from the other boys, Harry, but you’re just the same!” she exclaimed fiercely. Severus didn’t do anything, although he had the persistent urge to nod. “I don’t want to go to the lake with you anymore,” she said and stormed off disgusted.

Severus smiled to himself. Crisis averted, and he hadn’t even had to go on the actual date. Three months without Cho Chang breathing down his neck. Once more he had the small moment of guilt where he felt it was cruel for the boy to have a budding relationship well and truly smashed, but he consoled himself that things would have been worse for Harry had he welcomed the girl’s advances. Just contemplating the horror that would be in consequence of such improper actions allayed any fear he had that he had done the wrong thing. Anyway, for all he knew, Harry might actually have behaved like such a git had it been his chance.

He went back to the Library to do some more reading. Suddenly he remembered. It was Minerva’s birthday party this evening! He had completely forgotten about it in the hustle and bustle of the transformation. He hoped Dumbledore would be keeping an eye on Harry.
Chapter Eleven by Loz
The sweltering heat caused the air to take on a heavy feeling. The sun shone on Harry’s black head as he stood by the tree and watched the other students enjoying themselves. The air was redolent with the scent of the flowers which had finally come out to play. Some fourth years, Ginny among them, were playing by the lake, seemingly oblivious of the broken shells which might cut them, the Giant Squid, and the impending threat of Voldemort. Harry wanted more than anything to join them but the sight of a strait-laced professor frolicking in the sun with his young pupils might look slightly odd. His black eyes glittered as he watched them. No, not his black eyes, Snape’s black eyes. He sighed, not for the first time.

There had been no hang-over. No head-ache. No loss of memory. Everything that had happened, everything he had said with McGonagall came back in swirling, glittering colour. And he was so tempted to call her Minerva, but something within him, his adolescent tendencies, wouldn’t allow him to. Harry had awoken in the morning, showered, changed and sighed. For a moment, but a moment only, he had hoped that everything that had happened for the past 48 hours had been a nightmare. He couldn’t delude himself for long.

The party was tonight. The one “he” had co-organised, and he wondered if it would be a horrific event, or a ball of fun. His pessimism had him leaning towards the former. However, McGonagall had been good company, it was easy to see why she was a Gryffindor. He wanted to celebrate her birthday. He had never thought that professors might have birthdays too. He had checked the list and had done everything that was asked. He then spent some time reading a book on Snape’s shelf, Selected Poems by Browning, stroking Fidens absentmindedly. One of the poems disturbed him a little, boyfriends killing their girlfriends out of “love” confused and baffled his teenage mind. Some of the other poems were all but comprehensible. After spending an hour or so on intellectual study he decided to enjoy some time in the sun. He wasn’t really enjoying himself, but it was nice to be out.

He went back inside after a time, slowly making his way back to his quarters in order to find something else to do. There, in the centre of the room, was a large silver package. Harry stared at it in awe. He walked up and saw some parchment floating in front of it. There was no ink on the page until he held it in his hands.

“Minerva’s present. Severus asked me to keep hold of it until the day. He said something about not wanting you to put your grubby paws all over it. I think he actually forgot the party was tonight. See you there, Harry. Don’t worry about anything, you’ll be fine.

Kindest regards, Albus Dumbledore”


Harry smirked at the easy and relaxed way Dumbledore had written, silently cursing him for what he had done to him. He was annoyed that he couldn’t see the present before he gave it to McGonagall. He was profoundly curious as to what it could be. The package wasn’t any defined shape of anything in particular.

Harry spent the next few hours reading and rereading the lesson plans for the next day. He was nervous as all hell. Just what would he do if a student had the impropriety to ask a question he didn’t have the answer to? He also looked up some charms. There was every possibility Snape was going to hate him for this one, but when he saw it he knew he had to use it.

Harry had another shower, doing his routine duck-in-and-out-with-eyes-closed-tight. He performed the charm he had read about.

He stared into the mirror and started to concentrate on the image in front of him. The long black hair instantly dried. He concentrated harder murmuring “coup les cheveux”, which the book said literally meant “cut the hair” in French. The strands of hair started to shorten. It was not like the hair was being cut, it was like the hair was receding back into his head. It was quite a shocking sight to behold, not because Harry was unused to such magical effects, but because Snape looked really different with shorter hair. When the style was to his liking, Harry smiled a small mischievous smile.

He grabbed hold of the package tenderly, it was surprisingly light, and walked down the corridor to the Staffroom. The room was bedecked in streamers and a “Happy 77th birthday, Minerva” banner was magically pinned to the wall. Quite a few people were already there, milling about holding glasses of what looked like butterbeer and wine. Harry decided firmly not to have anything alcoholic to drink.

He saw McGonagall standing talking to Flitwick and wandered over.

“Happy Birthday Minerva!” he said, holding the present out with a smile.

“Severus!” McGonagall said in delighted shock. “Thankyou! What have you done to your hair?”

“I know you said you wanted a change, Severus, but don’t you think this was a teensy bit drastic?” the warm tones of Dumbledore said.

Harry smiled artificially. He looked at Dumbledore, wondering if the Headmaster was angry, but he actually looked somewhat amused.

“After dipping a strand into the broth and spoiling yet another complex Potion I decided it would be easier if I just lopped it all off,” Harry said. Both McGonagall and Dumbledore chuckled.

“Well, you’ve been threatening to do it for years!” McGonagall said, handing Harry a glass of pumpkin juice as he nodded towards it. Harry was greatly surprised by this but tried not to let it show. He was dying to see what Snape had got McGonagall.

****************

McGonagall became preoccupied as other people came bearing gifts. Harry found himself pushed to the side slightly. He didn’t mind. He watched everything quietly, finding amusement in the differences wrought in professors who were away from student company.

Music started up somewhere and Harry saw a few of the professors pairing up. He sidled off to the food table. As he munched on some small canapé, Harry found himself enjoying his observations. Flitwick had performed some sort of levitating charm and was now dancing the birthday girl around the floor. She giggled like a schoolgirl as she placed her head over his raised shoulder.

Hours passed and Harry had conversations with various professors, but luckily no-one asked him to dance. He got the feeling McGonagall and Dumbledore were the only ones who had the courage to try and get Snape to do anything and they were both busy. Others talked to him in a quietly polite and friendly manner, but that was all. Snape was obviously feared amongst the staff as well as the student body. The only professor who wasn’t there seemed to be Trelawney, and there were others there besides. He spoke with an old friend of McGonagall’s who appeared to have met Snape at some other similar function. Apparently they had a love of the same poetry. Harry smiled and nodded as the other man spoke at great length about Tennyson.

“I’ve forgotten the name. What’s that long one about death?” Harry ventured, feeling he had to contribute to the conversation in some way. He figured there had to be at least one poem about death, it was all the poets ever seemed to be interested in.

“You mean In Memoriam?” the man asked in a bustling kind of way.

“Yes, of course. I love In Memoriam. It conveys a sense of real loss, doesn’t it?” Harry said hoping against hope it did.

“Oh yes, absolutely, you’re quite right, Severus, you’re quite right!”

Finally the time came for McGonagall to open her presents. Harry waited in suspense. She opened Sinistra’s first, a small box which ended up containing a small but very beautiful timepiece. McGonagall looked quite surprised to see such an expensive looking gift from another professor, so she wasn’t at all angered or offended when, upon pinning the watch to her robes, it blew a raspberry and shouted “You didn’t really think you’d get something like that from a co-worker did you? Here’s your real present!” and transformed into a paper weight that started to drag McGonagall’s cloak to the ground.

“Delightful, did you do the Transfiguration yourself?” McGonagall asked, looking amused and impressed. Sinistra nodded.

“Actually I brought it from the Weasley Twins,” she whispered to the Muggle Studies professor, whom Harry still didn’t really know the name of, but might have been called “Bob”.

McGonagall went towards the great silver package next, and Harry gasped in anticipation. She unwrapped it carefully. Inside was something which glistened and glittered. Harry still couldn’t tell what it was, but McGonagall sure seemed to know.

“An antique metamute!” she exclaimed in rapture.

“Well what does it do?” one of McGonagall’s friends asked.

“Oh, it’s far too old to do anything. Much like me,” the crowd giggled, “it’s a collector’s item. Thankyou so, so, much Severus,” she said.

“You’re welcome, Minerva,” Harry replied. He thought how considerate of Snape it was to buy McGonagall something that had sentimental value as well as real value. He couldn’t be fussed thinking about it too much, however, he was beginning to feel tired. He waited until McGonagall opened all of her other presents, said his farewells and left the room. He brushed his teeth and performed other ablutions before slipping into bed.

When he woke up in the morning he felt utter dread. He got ready, checked the clock and realised he had precious little time.

As he made it to the final corridor, Harry rubbed his hands against his sides for what seemed like the sixth time. He was late. It was his first lesson and he was bloody late. And it wasn’t just his first lesson, it was his first lesson with Snape as an audience. All the expletives in the world couldn’t describe the way he felt right now.

He entered the room, attempting to slow down the fast stride he had adopted getting to class. As he entered he heard a gasp emitted from all of the students. He walked to the middle of the class and looked at them. All of the students, his friends, everyone, was staring at him in awe and wonderment. Their faces were the picture of shock, horror, and all things connected with these emotions. Then he caught sight of Snape. Angry green eyes, furious gnashing of teeth, fists held tight, and a genuine look of threat. A tingle soared up his spine. If he looked like that when he was angry then he wasn’t surprised some people had occasionally viewed him in abject terror. He knew, right that second, that he had made the biggest mistake of his life.
Chapter Twelve by Loz
Severus sat in the classroom with the strong sense of impending doom. Potions was his and Harry’s first lesson, and he knew the boy was going to stuff it up. But as Harry walked into the room Severus only had one thing on his mind, “WHAT HAS HE DONE TO MY HAIR?????” It was taking all of his strength not to jump up and assail the child in charge of his body. He clenched his fists tightly and glowered at Harry. Luckily, all of the other students were too shocked and surprised to notice what he was doing. They were all staring at him with wide open eyes and gaping mouths. Harry, for his part, looked extremely nervous. He looked back at the students with a mixture of terror and authority. Then he looked directly at Snape. He didn’t smile. He didn’t grin. But Severus could tell he was mocking him.

He was willing Harry to do something. The boy just stood there a moment and then gradually stepped forward.

“Attention class. Today we will be doing theory work surrounding Potions which aid other spells. Assistant Transformation potions, for example. You will all need to be paying close attention to what I tell you. If you do as such I should see no reason as to why you couldn’t accurately make the Potion in our double lesson.”

“Is that it?” Snape wondered, “he’s not going to say anything about his ‘new look’? I could kill him. Right here. Right now. Tear him limb from limb.”

Potter moved up to the blackboard and started to write. His handwriting was not nearly as flowing or neat as Severus’s, but it wasn’t his own scrawly type either. Severus stared at it. Was the boy using a different style deliberately? He seemed to look at it surprised himself, though, before continuing.

“Now, I believe I set you all some reading. Who can tell me why certain spells need Potions?” the boy said. Severus frowned deeper, he was being far too friendly. Over in the front corner, Brown was giggling with Patil and he hadn’t said a thing. Severus put his hand up anyway, along with Granger and surprisingly, Longbottom.

“Neville!” the boy said, sounding as shocked as Severus felt, “why don’t you explain?”

Longbottom opened his mouth to speak and then closed it again before answering. “Some spells need extra energy,” he said simply. Potter looked like he wanted Longbottom to continue but the other boy was fixatedly looking at his desk, his face going red.

“Can anyone tell me anything else about why we might need them?” he asked in a somewhat lost manner.

“Sometimes there are certain functions that only a Potion can perform,” Granger said to Severus’s side, looking immensely pleased with herself. “For instance, when you are first learning to become an Animagus, the ministry provides you with an Assistant Transformation potion called Animilite that delays the process down so that you can better learn how to control it.”

Potter looked someone confused but simply nodded. “Well done Miss Granger, five points to Gryffindor for both of you.”

There was a gasp from all the students in the room.

*****************

Severus was prevented from jumping from his desk and launching himself at Potter by the boy moving quickly away back to the board. Many of the Slytherins had recovered from their shock and realised what Potter had done. They also looked ready to attack. Draco, especially, looked not only distraught but disgusted.

Potter started to write up scrawled notes that he had clearly memorised word for word from Severus’s instructions. He listed key potions and ingredients. Most students copied from the board diligently.

Severus noticed in the ingredients lists that Potter had not put enough emphasis on the ingredient always found in auxiliary potions. Severus had not specified that there was one always present himself but he hoped the child would figure it out.

“Sir, shouldn’t you say something about the arrowroot?” he asked with a small smile. Potter turned around.

“What about it?” he asked, somewhat taken aback.

“Well, it appears in all the Potions you’ve listed,” he replied. Potter turned back to the board and surveyed the lists of ingredients.

“Why yes, it does,” Potter said disconcertedly.

“Does it serve a specific function?” he asked. Granger kept looking at Severus as if he were mad. Potter faultered for a moment.

“That’s just what I was about to ask all of you. What is the importance of arrowroot?” Potter asked. People started to raise their hands.

“It’s important because it makes the Potions go the right colour,” Severus barged in without raising his hand. He was hoping Harry would reply in the affirmative so that one of the students could correct him. At least, he hoped one would be able to.

“No, that’s not it, it’s because it strengthens and thickens the potion!” Granger corrected before Potter had time to respond.

“How would you know anyway?” Severus yelled, furious that she should ruin what was to be immense fun.

“How would you?” Granger yelled back.

“You’re a know-it-all!” Severus said, delighting in the fact he was causing such an uproar and there was nothing Potter could do about it. All of the students were looking at the three of them in awe, including Ronald Weasley who seemed to think his teacher and friends were possessed by something.

“You’re an idiot!”

“That is enough. Twenty points from Gryffindor. And if I hear anything else from either of you, you’ll both have detention,” Potter said. Severus stared gobsmacked. Taking points from his own house? Threatening one of his best friends with detention? My, my.

“Hermione started it,” Severus said with a mischievous grin.

“Right, detention tonight, both of you! You will meet me down here at 6 o’clock.” Potter said. Severus was astounded. He was even keeping his word! “We will continue the lesson in utter silence, if anyone has any questions they shall raise their hands like civilised people and not simply say whatever they wish, whenever they wish.”

Draco Malfoy raised his hand. “Sir, it is only fair that we Slytherins gain points from being so well behaved isn’t it?”

“No it is not, ten points from Slytherin, Malfoy, for being an arrogant little,” he paused, apparently searching for a word that was not too offensive, “pain in the neck.” Now Gryffindor and Slytherin were once more even.

Severus was not amused by this but as the students started to look amongst themselves and Severus realised that they were passing notes to each other, he smiled. They were very much disturbed by Potter’s behaviour. At this point he wasn’t concerned with what would happen once he got back in his own body, he was only intent on making Potter suffer. Hermione had turned her back on him and Ron looked at him with a frown. Well it would serve the boy right not to go messing with things that didn’t concern him.

The class continued in the prescribed silence and Severus congratulated himself on having made it this far without attacking Potter, who fumbled and fussed through his explanations of the potions. Quite a few times it was obvious the students were somewhat confused by his jumbled accounts but too afraid to ask. The required time for class eventually elapsed and Severus was glad to leave the classroom.

Severus mused that whilst his reputation may be sullied, so, at least, was Potter’s.
Chapter Thirteen by Loz
The words to come into Harry’s mind after his lesson with the fifth years were of a rather adult nature. If he had been feeling slightly sorry for Snape in preparation of class, and standing there trying to teach, he was anything but generously inclined towards the older man now. Harry wanted to make Snape pay for the way he had acted. He was also terrified of doing so because of the consequences. He imagined for a moment, just what was at stake, what Snape could do to mess his life up even more. Harry decided that for the first time in his life he would do something mature and civilised. He would be respectful towards Snape. He would discuss the situation with Snape. He would not go around the school acting strangely and awarding points to Gryffindor to spite Snape, no he would not.

The next lesson he had was that of the first year Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw class. They came cowering in, acting like frightened mice. He didn’t quite know how to react. On the one hand, if he didn’t start acting more like Snape someone would figure out something was up. Especially with the way Snape was behaving. On the other hand, the kids looked terrified and his better nature wanted them to feel less intimidated. He brought out his demonstration Potion and spoke to the class at length. He tried to be as gentle as possible. They goggled at him like lost puppies. Harry found himself annoyed when, even though he had warned them several times, three of the students still put their ingredients in the Cauldron in the wrong order and produced varying cataclysmic events, including the meltdown of the cauldron and table, a noxious gas pervading the Dungeons and the same effect as the Obliviate spell on one of the students.

“Did you not listen?” Harry fumed at all three of them. “I brought your attention to the order of the ingredients for a reason, you know! Twenty points from Hufflepuff and ten points from Ravenclaw.” The students turned pale and flinched in their seats. Harry mentally cursed himself for becoming so harsh. Oh well, it was no more than Professor McGonagall would have done, and he had the utmost respect for her. He cleaned up the classroom once they had gone and found himself trying to remember everything he had done incorrectly in First Year. It was difficult to remember, but he knew that just recently he hadn’t listened to instructions as attentively as he should. Potions was an exact science, he supposed, much like flying. You had to lean just right to get the right effect when flying, the same could be said of stirring or contributing to a Potion. After a busy lunch which involved more school patrolling, the next lesson he had was with third years and as this consisted of a Quiz, he sat watching them and then read more notes. He was then free for the rest of the day until dinner and 6.00pm’s Detention.

He went up to his quarters and decided it was time for more raiding of Snape’s personal property.

*************

Once in his quarters Harry walked over to the music centre and pressed a button that looked like it would commence play. He knew exactly what he would find, having gleaned the information from the Accluma. The dulcet and smooth tones of an oboe filled the room and Fidens came out from under the bed and rubbed up against Harry’s leg. He bent down and stroked Fidens’ head.

The track changed to an upbeat jazz tempo and Harry almost felt like dancing. As he went once more towards the cupboard in order to examine and explore, he did it in a sort of shuffle. As he reached the spot, he span on his heel and flicked his hand up. He grinned. At this moment he caught his reflection in the mirror on the door. He stared for the longest time, just examining, just thinking. Snape looked a lot younger with shorter hair. He looked like a real person and not some closeted cruel figure. His anger dissipated some what, and this time, when he told himself he would talk with Snape instead of going off the deep end, he meant it.

Before Harry knew it, it was nearing dinner time and he went down to the hall. Apart from filthy looks from Hermione, Snape and Draco Malfoy, the time passed in an uneventful manner and he met with the first two angry people in the Dungeons shortly thereafter.

“Hermione, my task for you is something that I hope will teach you the virtues of patience and keeping your temper. I have three First Year students waiting for a Tutor in the third classroom to the North Tower on the first floor upstairs. That tutor is you. Go and help them. I have written down what is needed and what they need to study. Make sure you do a good job.” Hermione looked a little shocked and then promptly disappeared.

“I knew you couldn’t really punish your friend,” Snape said with a disgusted sneer. “So what am I doing, cleaning the cauldrons, polishing the silver, mopping the floor?”

“How about just talking?” Harry said resignedly. This was not going to be easy. Snape was, for wont of another phrase, mad as a cut snake. He spoke slowly but with feeling, “I am sorry about the way I have acted. I should not have done something so presumptuous as,” he whispered the next bit, “cut your hair.” Presumptuous? That was a very Snape-like word to use. Oh well, it fit.

Snape looked shocked and then suspicious, “You think an apology is going to make things better do you?” he said loudly.

“No, I don’t think things could ever be “better” between us, Harry.”

“Don’t call me Harry!” Snape screamed. Harry stepped forward.

“I have to, what if someone hears us?” he whispered again. “Look, neither of us is acting like our respective selves. We have to stop being angry and have to start working with each other. We’re against a common foe. What would you prefer? Revenge for a haircut or Voldemort killing us both?”

“At the moment, I’d take the revenge,” Snape said baring his teeth in a scowl.

“Stop behaving like a child.”

“I’m in a child’s body!”

“I am not a child!”

“Yes you are!”

“Okay, fine then, I am a child. And you are an embittered, malicious, cruel git of a man,” Harry said. Snape looked like he was going to explode. Then he took a deep breath. He was grinding his teeth and banging his fist against his leg. After a while, he spoke.

“So?”

“So we stop feuding like this. Three months, remember.”

“Well then, I think you should know I went on a date with Miss. Chang,” Snape said, seemingly savouring the words.

“You what? How could you? That is ethically perverted!” Harry said with his eyes wide and his hands clenched into fists.

“I prevented it from going further by acting like a fool. Chang is no longer interested in you,” Snape replied.

Harry looked torn. “How bad was it?”

“Bad.”

“I couldn’t fix it?”

“Not easily,” Snape smirked slightly.

“Sod you!” Harry said harshly, stomping his foot.

“Temper, temper. Now who’s behaving like a child?” Snape said, his smile widening. It was now Harry’s turn to take a deep breath. His fingers were itching for his wand.

“Well, at least now there is another complication gone,” Harry said in a rigid and controlled manner. He took a moment to calm down. He was furious. He wanted to hurt Snape in as many ways as he could. There was the little matter of duty that hung over his head, however. What would Dumbledore think? Wouldn’t he be risking not only his own life, but many others?

“You can go if you wish. Just try and act more like me. Please,” Harry said quietly.

“I will do so, but you also have to behave more like me. No more taking points from Slytherin or insulting the students.”

“You always insult the students!”

“I meant the Slytherin students,” Snape replied, seemingly oblivious to the hypocritical humour of this statement.

“Oh, of course!” Harry said bitterly. Snape left and he leant against the table. Tomorrow would be another long day.
Chapter Fourteen by Loz
That pretentious, condescending little, “ARGHH!” Snape yelled, slamming his fist into the door. “I hate him!” he screamed once more, kicking furiously “he’s a prat!”. He was moving steadily into the room, throwing his fists and legs out. Suddenly, out of nowhere, music started. Snape realised one of the things his fist had hit into was a small Wizarding Wireless radio standing on the bedside table. The music wasn’t playing too loudly, but it was just enough to get Snape’s blood boiling even more. It was rock music with a loud bass and forceful percussion. It was angry, he was angry. Before long he was moving along in time to the music. Snape started jumping up and down, continuing to hit out at anything nearby. He climbed up on the bed, jumping, screaming, singing along to the music.

The boys who belonged in the dorm room were all either in the Library or Common Room so he had free reign of the entire area. With the music still playing, Snape did something he hadn’t done for twenty years or more. He played Air Guitar. Arching and strumming, jumping and spinning, Snape was having the time of his life. It was free, it was liberating, it was ludicrous. He jumped here, he jumped there, he shook his head around. The music was good. He had to concede, he never thought the kids listened to anything worth spit these days, but he had been wrong. It was music to dance to, and that’s what he felt like doing. Of course, the dancing wasn’t very co-ordinated, and not much like the dancing he got up to as a grown and elegant man, when he practiced Ballroom dancing in the holidays, but it was fun. It was only when there was movement at the door that he realised just how long he had been acting outrageously. He stopped, jumped off the bed, grabbed a towel and clothes and went for the bathroom.

Acting like a child, he had said, and really, he had been right. “It’s not my fault,” Snape mumbled at the mirror. “I never asked to do this, I never wanted to do this. I only wanted to stop the… the Dark Lord. He doesn’t seem to realise how much I have risked, how often I have done something I never wanted to do for the sake of Wizard kind. He doesn’t get it.” Before he knew it, his eyes were prickling and salt water was running down his face. He was crying. He hadn’t cried for a very long time. Not since the day he had spoken to Dumbledore about why he had so desperately wanted to switch sides, a few years after the fact. The conversation had been long, in depth, drawn out. He hadn’t wanted to talk about it ever again, but he had been forced to, like a child. Bloody Dumbledore. Oh he respected him, he even liked him, but there was no mistaking the fact Dumbledore caused as many problems as he solved. Like this very moment, stuck in a child’s body, with a child’s temperament and a child’s lack of emotional barriers that was turning Snape into an irrational blubbering mess.

Squeezing his eyes tight, Snape showered and changed. Coming back into the dorm room he saw he had been wise to move when he did as Dean Thomas and Seamus Finnegan were now both in the room chatting. The radio had been turned off, the various things Snape had left on the floor in a cluttered mess had been picked up and dumped on his bed. He swiped them off and under the bed and climbed into bed closing the curtains.

“Uhhh, night Harry” Finnegan’s voice said.

“You realise it’s just past eight?” Thomas’s voice added.

“Tired. Big day tomorrow. Night guys,” was all Snape could manage. He stared up at the top canopy. He would have to sort through this. He couldn’t keep letting himself go, he had to start repressing his emotions. The boy wanted to infuriate him, and nothing would annoy him more to see it wasn’t working. Then again, maybe Potter wasn’t just trying to anger him, maybe the boy had a point?


**************


“Tuesday, it’s only Tuesday!” Severus moaned as he rolled over in bed. It was very early in the morning, still dark outside, but it was undeniably just before dawn. Severus opened the window slightly. There was a lone bird chirping and an inviting cool breeze. He had made up his mind on what he should do today.

He went outside.

Severus made his way over to the Quidditch Pitch. He crept into the changing rooms and took one of the brooms. They had a spell on them that made them detect if they were being stolen or just being borrowed. It could tell that Severus was only wanting it temporarily. He had wondered, walking down, if this would be any use, and he decided that it most certainly would. If he were going to be competing, and if he were to keep up the charade, he would have to know how to fly well.

He mounted the broom with the familiar sensation of nausea. Kicking off he allowed himself to hover only a metre off of the ground. Even this had his insides churning. He moved with some speed around the Pitch and it wasn’t quite as bad as last time. He didn’t fall. He kept telling himself that if Potter could do it, so could he. That many people flew perfectly well. That no-one was watching so he didn’t have to worry about being made a fool of, but if he were to play Quidditch not only would he be humilated, but people would know something was up. He hovered around, slowly rising until he was two metres of the ground, and he still hasn’t fallen.

As he hovered the sky became lighter and a soft pink hue started gracing the stands. He dismounted, awkwardly, and stored the broom away before commencing the trek back to the castle. In the early morning light it looked beautiful, the turrets and towers were majestic and the medieval origins of the castle were very much highlighted.

Climbing back through the portrait hole and into the dormitory, Severus, for the first time since this horrible swap, felt a strange sense of calm. He wasn’t sure if it was just the tranquility of the morning, or the fact he now had more of a sense of duty. He had thought about it a lot, considered the risks, contemplated the consequences and decided he should do what he had intended to do in the first place. He would do what was required of him. He wasn’t doing this for Potter, he wasn’t even doing it for Dumbledore, he was doing it to defeat the Dark Lord. He had witnessed too much horror and terror to forget that there was a cause more worthy than ridiculing the child or keeping one’s dignity.

He waited for Breakfast time and went down with the other boys, making a concerned effort to be friendly and chatty. This time Harry was sitting in his spot at the Head table, eating an apple with vigour. Severus ate porriage, pumpkin juice and some marmite on bread.

He remembered something at the end of Breakfast. He had no idea what lessons he had. He ran up to his room to grab his timetable. It was then, standing in the centre of the Common Room they he gave out a small yelp that attracted the attention of the other students. His first lesson for the day was Divination. How could this be? Why on earth was Potter still doing Divination? Severus had thought he had given that rubbish up long ago.

The lessons the day before had been fairly rudimentary theory lessons. The one with McGonagall had been interesting when he had answered a question correctly and she had looked somewhat surprised. Mostly he was confused that many students who never said boo to a goose in his classes seemed only too happy to give their ideas on any given subject in others. Glancing at the timetable again he saw he was also to have Defence Against the Dark Arts. Today was probably not going to be nearly as simple as the day before had been.

He started trudging his way to the North Tower so that he might be able to find a place in the back where Sybill wouldn’t see him.
Chapter Fifteen by Loz
Severus had prided himself on never having actually been in the North Tower before. He had prided himself on spending as little time as humanly possible with the Divination “expert”. Alas, he could be proud no longer. The pungent, overwhelming scent that assailed his senses made Severus immediately feel like he was back in the hippie days. The other Death Eaters had found great sport in attacking muggles under the influence of incense and other such intoxicating odours. It brought bad memories to the forefront of his mind and made him even more full of dread.

At the back corner of the room he attempted to hide behind the curtain but to no avail. As soon as she entered the room Sybil shot him with a piercingly melancholy look.

“I sense terrible things are upon us,” she wailed, bringing a hand up to her head. It took all of Severus’s power not to contemptuously scoff. He noticed, for the first time, that none of the other students in the room appeared to be close friends of Potter. Weasley was not there, for instance, Thomas and Finnegan were also missing. He was alone and the sad realisation that for once he would rather not be gave the icy stare he shot at Trelawney an unremitting strength. She seemed completely unfazed however, and continued to conduct the lesson in the airy fairy fashion he had seen completely disappear after a few firewhiskeys or in a heated argument with Minerva.

Having wandered around the room and given everyone else in the class assignments, whilst Severus’s desire to escape from the room escalated, Trelawney finally stood in front of Severus.

“Harry,” she said, the eyes behind those ridiculous glasses roving over his adopted features. “Something is changed in you, child. My inner eye sees a transformed aura surrounding your body. It is as if you are not what you appear to be,” Severus felt some reservation with these words. Was she speaking gibberish or could she really tell? If she could tell, would that jeapodise everything? “Yes, you are slowly but certainly growing as a person. Your future is unchanged, though, it is as bleak as ever. I am so sorry that the fates have chosen to be cruel towards one so promising.” Gibberish. Severus felt muscles he didn’t even know he was tensing relax.

“I agree, Professor Trelawney,” Severus said, attempting to keep all malice out of his voice but failing miserably, “the fates have been cruel indeed”.

“You are to use your crystal ball to read one of the other student’s futures. Parvati, if you don’t mind, could you work with Harry for the moment?” Trelawney changed topic abruptly and wandered off aimlessly as Patil sat next to Severus.

“Go on then, read my future,” Patil said with no small amount of scorn. She was obviously used to Potter’s lack of skill at Divination. Something within Severus snapped. It wasn’t that he disliked Patil for any particular reason. It wasn’t even that he thought all Divination was hogwash. He just felt an intense desire to have fun.

He almost couldn’t believe he was doing it, but Severus deftly wove in and out of Patil’s emotions. He surreptitiously viewed her fears, her confidences and her hopes.

“People in gowns,” he began slowly, trying not to smirk, “there are odd pieces of paper, some strange letters.”

“Continue,” Patil said, leaning closer.

“I think there are bottles. Yes, lots of bottles. And cauldrons as well.”

“Wow, that sounds sort of sciencey, don’t you think? But I’m terrible at Potions,” Severus couldn’t help but agree.

“Hang on. There are other things here. A basket of fruit. Smiling, a lot of smiling,” he resumed.

“Fruit? Smiling?”

“Yes. And beds. There are rows of beds.”

“That’s amazing. Is it all connected? What do you think these images mean?”

“I’m not sure, but I think this indicates to prospects of your being a Healer,” he said.

“That’s amazing. I’ve never told anyone but that’s exactly what I want. Harry, you’re amazing!” Patil exclaimed in excitement. She was grinning from ear to ear, obviously completely taken in and completely ecstatic.

“Well, thankyou,” Severus replied. He was evil.


************


The rest of the Divination lesson fluttered by in a breeze. Patil was pleased with him and he didn’t feel too bad. Despite not being the best student at Potions there were other ways for the girl to become a Healer and if she believed in herself it may well happen. That’s what he told himself, anyway. After a double lesson of the extremely boring History of Magic, whose only highlight was listening to Weasley go on and on about how annoying Granger’s homework regime was, Severus had lunch. This, also, was not particularly scintillating but at least the food was good.

After lunch Severus found himself in the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom. He wasn’t entirely sure what he thought of the way Francis Flitwick taught Defence Against the Dark Arts. She was a capable enough teacher to be sure, her father had taught her well, but Severus supposed he was still annoyed he hadn’t been given the job. Weasley and Granger seemed to like her, though. They talked about how useful the last lesson had been and that they hoped she would stay in the position for longer than a year for the sake of the younger students.

“Today we will be doing theory work, class, so bring out of your parchment, books and quills and write me a short essay on Snuzzlebleeps,” she said upon walking into the room. She was small like her father, but far more graceful. He waddled, she glided. Her brown hair seemed incredibly long on someone of her stature and she had to make sure it was out of the way when she sat up on the table. Severus noted that she seemed perfectly at ease addressing the class and that they all paid her due respect. He proceeded to reread the material on the small, fuzzy yet deadly creatures and started writing. It didn’t matter how much time or care he took with his handwriting, it still came out as an untidy scrawl. He couldn’t quite explain it. Certain things had come with him, and other things appeared to be left behind.

Professor Flitwick collected their essays half way through the lesson and continued by demonstrating the best way to defend yourself against the Snuzzlebleep. Apparently there was nothing much you could do but avoid them. Severus actually found himself admiring the way Flitwick presented information. She was exact and forceful, but still not intimidating. He was intimidating in his lessons because he had to be, he realised that the only way for students not to do stupid things was to have them too scared to do them, but other teachers were best to be more friendly with the students.

She was not a weak, stuttering fool like Quirrell had pretended to be, or an egomaniacal know-nothing. She wasn’t an overly sympathetic Werewolf who he hated, or one of Voldemort’s insane and Polyjuiced followers. She wasn’t the power hungry and dangerous Umbridge, or a sneaky, undercover thief. She was young, but she had the knowledge. He conceded that if it were not to be him with the role, then she might as well do. Though he was constantly at odds with Dumbledore for not giving him the opportunity. Just what did Dumbledore think he would do? No, he was stuck with Potions, supposedly because he was brilliant at it, but he was sure that was not the reason. The lesson was over before he knew it and Severus went with Potter’s friends to the Library for some study before dinner.
Chapter Sixteen by Loz
The evening had been incredibly boring. After his heated discussion with Snape, Harry had retired to his quarters. There was no more dancing. Instead, to stop himself from screaming, or crying, or both, he pulled a book from the shelf and read. The words on the pages gave no relief. In fact, most of what he read confused him. He climbed into bed despondent and in danger of crying.

He slept fitfully and awoke the next morning in a panic. He had another demonstration to do, this time without an “and here’s one I prepared earlier”. If he didn’t get the Potion right he would look fairly foolish, and the Ravenclaw students would know something was up. He cursed as he showered and changed, why had he agreed to do this again? Why was he the responsible one? Why did his hair smell of mint?

Bustling down into the Dungeons through the secret passage, Harry made sure to check his appearance before sweeping into the room. He had had a cobweb in his freshly cleaned hair, but apart from that he was Snape’s usual sallow, hooked nosed self. Whilst it was true his appearance had greatly improved since the hair modification, Snape was still an ugly git. Harry was positively missing seeing the scar on his forehead.

In class he looked among the students and tried not gasp when he saw Cho. She was sitting at her table chatting with a very sour expression on her face with another student.

“… and so I just stormed away. What a jerk!” Harry heard as he stood in the front of the classroom waiting for quiet. As soon as she realised he was there, Cho sat upright in her chair, as did many of the other students.

“Good morning Class,” Harry started, attempting to keep his breathing pattern regular. He also did his best to stop looking at Cho but he wasn’t having any luck. He just couldn’t take his eyes away. Snape had ruined his only chance with her. It had already been a difficult road to finally ask her out. He grew more and more upset thinking about it.

“Good morning Professor Snape,” Harry was distracted as the class replied. Harry tried not to stutter as he continued with his explanation of the lesson. As he spoke he noticed a distinct mood change from interest to boredom throughout the students. Their dulling eyes unnerved him and he wondered if he ever looked like this in his lessons. He knew he must.

He was slowly methodical in the way he prepared the ingredients, and grew more and more disconcerted as some of the students appeared to fall asleep. Instead, he had a thought.

“Miss. Chang, would you come and chop up this arrowroot? Uhmmm, Pickering, you keep stirring this,” Harry smiled as the students sprang to life. Cho and Tom Pickering both looked somewhat scared as they stepped forward and did what he said. The other students were eager to see Cho and Tom fluff up and incurr his wrath.

He congratulated himself as he realised he had not only deflected the blame if the Potion went wrong, but that the students were more interested in the possibility of their peers making mistakes than of him droning on. He also got to be close to Cho, who was frowning prettily whilst cutting the arrowroot. It was taking quite some willpower not to apologise profusely for his counterpart’s actions. He instructed the students as Snape had instructed him in his written directions and was happy when the Potion started to look as it should have.

He concluded the class by showing what the Potion should do and by telling them all that they would be doing this same thing by themselves the next lesson. The students seemed like they almost enjoyed the lesson.

Just as he was starting to feel proud of himself, Harry was overcome by a strange sensation. He felt dizzy and his vision became blurred for a moment. Second Year Students had started to file into the classroom. He was about to speak when a searing shot of pain went down his arm. He couldn’t think straight. It felt like the pain he got with his scar. But he didn’t know how that was possible. Why was he burning up? He tried to speak again and this time the words came out.

“I have to go to the Hospital Wing. You can all have a free period,” he managed before practically running out of the classroom.

Holding onto his arm he bolted up the stairs, aware that some students were watching him.


******************


With tears rolling down his cheeks because of the pain, Harry ran up to the Hospital Wing.

“Get Dumbledore” he panted to Madam Pomfrey when he got there. Streams of students had left him alone as he ran, but he had seen some terrified faces. He realised they had probably never seen Snape pelting through the corridors mid-morning. Or any time of day for that matter.

“Certainly, Professor Snape,” Madam Pomfrey said in shock before immediately retreating from the room. She bustled away like a mother hen and Harry was happy to see she had taken him so seriously. He had realised what the pain could be as he ran. Whilst he hadn’t had much time for concentration there were two things which connected this discomfort with the type he had experienced before. It was agonising, and it had happened with a body marked by the Dark Lord.

He took his outer robes off, wincing as he did so. His arm felt stiff and was stinging terribly. Harry wasn’t entirely sure what he should do. He noted that there was no-one else in the Infirmary as he tried to distract himself. He thought this was probably a good thing considering the circumstances. One thing that was missing was the overwhelming emotion, and Harry wondered if this was because that particular occurrence only happened between Voldemort and himself. He thought about the implications of Voldemort summoning him. Was this what this was? If so, was his arm aching so much because he had not gone? Where would he have gone to in any case, and how could he kept the charade up when faced with one of such power?

He no longer felt dizzy or feverish, but he was still stinging unbearably. Getting impatient, Harry wondered if Madam Pomfrey had had to travel to another country to find Dumbledore.

“For Merlin’s sake, hurry up!” he muttered. He had his hand to the sore area of his upper arm, hoping to quell the pain. His shirtsleeve was damp with what Harry assumed must be perspiration.

Dumbledore came speeding into the room within the next moment, Madam Pomfrey wheezing gasping breaths some way behind him.

“Severus?” Dumbledore asked, looking as worried as Harry felt.

“My arm!” Harry said simply.

Dumbledore frowned and looked at Harry’s position. He gently moved Harry’s hand away from his upper arm and raised a questioning eyebrow at Harry.

“When Poppy said I thought it might be…” the older man trailed off. Dumbledore nodded slightly, looking relieved and carefully rolled up Harry’s shirtsleeve. Harry stared at his arm, and saw it was blistered and red, but there was no Dark Mark.

“Headmaster?” he inquired. Dumbledore looked into Harry’s eyes and gave a small smile.

“Not only the wrong part of the arm, but the wrong arm entirely,” he whispered. Turning back to Madam Pomfrey, Dumbledore gave quick instructions for a salve. Madam Pomfrey obeyed his instructions, fussing around in the background. Harry had many questions.

“After this, Severus, are you at liberty to come into my office?”

“Yes Headmaster,” Harry said numbly. Madam Pomfrey applied a cooling lotion to Harry’s skin on both his arm and hand and, as if by magic, his blisters started to heal immediately.

“There, all better Severus,” Madam Pomfrey said, patting Harry’s hand comfortingly and smiling. Harry couldn’t help but smile at her kindly expression and thanked her. She seemed supremely surprised and moved away somewhat reluctantly.

Harry picked up his outer robe again and was shocked to see a gaping hole in the fabric.

“What on earth…?” he asked, gazing at it in wonder.

“I’d imagine the culprit is the same as the cause of your irritation,” Dumbledore said. He almost seemed amused. Realising Harry was still confused, Dumbledore continued, “I imagine a harmful substance splashed up onto your robes, Severus.”

“Oh… right,” Harry said in bewilderment. He then remembered the Potion he had been making and demonstrating in class. A corrosive high grade cleaning Potion. He didn’t remember any getting onto his clothing, but it had happened to him as a student so many times, he felt it highly likely it could have happened now.

He followed Dumbledore out of the Hospital Wing and waited as the benevolent Headmaster said the password.

“I have some questions,” Harry said, as he trampled up the stairs after Dumbledore.

“As do I,” Dumbledore replied lightly.
Chapter Seventeen by Loz
Settling into a chair as instructed, Harry gazed around him. Harry gazed at the books, the portraits on the wall (who all gazed back) and the Sorting Hat, who was snoring. He looked at the curtains, the stone floor, the large gold Telescope that was standing in a corner of the room and the quills on the desk. He did not look at Dumbledore, who at this moment was fixing him with a penetrating stare.

“Tell me, Harry, how are you faring?” Dumbledore enquired after a time.

“As well as could be expected, I suppose,” Harry replied, looking at the older man for the first time. He was feeling like he had made the biggest mistake of his life.

“And how is Severus taking it?”

“Far worse than I am. Anyone would think it is difficult to be a teenager,” Harry replied caustically.

“Hmm, I sense you are angry, Harry,” Dumbledore said quietly.

“I am not angry, I am bloody furious!” the boy exclaimed, leaping to his feet. He had let his anger take over his embarrassment and started pacing as he asked question after question, “Just what was I supposed to do, if I had been called? Why, exactly, was it a good idea for Severus and I to switch bodies when both of us are in mortal danger if we come into contact with Voldemort? What could possibly be gained from this ludicrous exercise?”

“Please, Harry, we have been through this several times already. There are good reasons indeed. You need to learn how to trust people, Harry, me specifically.”

Harry sat down again belligerently.

“Do any of your students suspect anything?” Dumbledore then questioned, his voice taking on an impatient edge.

“If they do they’re not saying anything,” Harry replied in an effort to be slightly more polite.

“No, nor to me. Though I suppose a few will be worried after today.”

“I’ll just tell them the truth,” Harry said.

“Yes, the truth is usually beneficial in these sorts of situations,” Dumbledore replied with a strange hand movement and aversion of his eyes.

“What should I do, Dumbledore, if Voldemort does send for me?”

“He won’t. He shouldn’t, at least. I was very much shocked because I never imagined this would happen. All of the intelligence we have suggests Voldemort is in a small East European village, conducting his affairs,” Dumbledore said in answer.

“You know where he is and haven’t tried to attack?”

“It would be pointless, Harry. It would simply cause the loss of life,” Dumbledore said.

“Perhaps, but at least we would be doing something.”

“That is dangerous talk, Harry,” Dumbledore said with a small frown of concern.

“I don’t mean it,” Harry said with a sigh, “it just becomes so infuriating knowing we are waiting for him to move,” Harry stood up again and cast his hand through black lank hair.

“It will happen eventually,” Dumbledore said with an expression that was half-smile, half-grimace. “You should change out of those clothes immediately. When you see Severus, will you get him to come to me?”

“Sure,” Harry said with a small roll of his eyes. He moved out of the room awkwardly. He had wanted to say and ask so much more, but he never found the courage around Dumbledore.

**************


Fidens curled into Harry and purred as he stroked his head. Harry was sitting against the headboard staring aimlessly around the room. Thoughts were rushing through his head. The one thing that kept coming up was the issue of trust. He discovered he was leaning more towards the thought that he did not trust Dumbledore. The man who was supposed to be a mentor and almost Father-like figure was slowly but surely becoming more of a menace.

Dinner had been interesting. He had fielded quite a few questions about how he was and eventually stood in front of the Hall and announced what had happened. He tried to ignore his own green eyes looking up at him with first a look of concern and then persistent mockery. He had gone up to Snape and told him Dumbledore wanted to meet him. Snape just nodded and Harry went on his way.

Now here he was with little to do but think. He realised there was a reason he generally tried to avoid being left with his own thoughts for too long. He hated this. He hated it with such vehemence he wanted to do all manner of things.

“What should I do, Fidens?” Harry asked.

No answer came.

“If Voldemort is in Eastern Europe, and Dumbledore wasn’t thinking it possible I would be called then why is this charade happening again?… oh forget it, this is doing my head in.”

Harry stood up and clomped to the door. Fidens followed him. Harry opened the door and Fidens looked up. “I’m going to go outside now, you go back to sleep,” Harry said impatiently. The cat blinked and seemed to move away. Harry went out of the room.

He padded down the hallway, watching for other Professors, and went down the stairs. Taking a side door, he slid outside and breathed in the cool evening air. He walked over towards the big Oak tree that students liked to use for shade. It was much better out here. He could look around, examine the stars. He yelped when he felt something brush against his leg. Looking down he was amazed to find Fidens looking up at him. He could almost swear Fidens was smiling at his display of shock.

“What are you doing here, naughty?” Harry asked playfully nudging Fidens with his foot. The friendly feline just purred and Harry wondered what Snape was doing with such a loveable animal.

“Oh that kitten is so cute!” a voice to Harry’s right said. He started again. Cho Chang was standing a few feet away.

“He isn’t cute, he’s a ferocious beast, I’d watch out if I were you,” Harry said automatically. He frowned, he hadn’t meant to say anything, it just came out. Cho bent down and petted Fidens on the head. Fidens purred even louder.

“Is he yours, Professor?” she asked. Harry knew he should tell her to mind her own business but found his lips and limbs moving with a volition of their own.

Sitting down with his back against the tree and crossing his legs, Harry answered, “yes, he is mine. His name is “Fidens”. Cho had looked at Harry with a small frown when he sat down but smiled as Fidens did a little hop to catch her fingers. “Please, take a seat. Do you own any pets Cho?” Harry said after a time.

Cho looked a little unnerved but since Fidens was amorously brushing over her hand she sat down close to Harry. Fidens leapt into her lap and she giggled. Harry loved the way she self-consciously brushed a lock of hair away from her face. He tried not to stare.

“I have an Owl, Professor,” she replied looking at Fidens. For an insane second Harry wanted to say “Just call me Severus”. He balked and looked away immediately. Minutes passed in which Harry listened to the rhythmic sound of Fidens purring and Cho giggling every now and then. He closed his eyes and rested his head against the tree, attempting to smooth his face out of the permanent frown he was starting to adopt.

“I wanted to ask you a question, Professor,” Cho said.

Harry looked at her briefly, “yes?”

“What made you decide to become a Professor?” she asked nervously.

“The free dental plan.”

Cho laughed before covering her mouth in shock. She looked confused. Harry wanted to kick himself. He was not behaving at all like Snape. Not only that but he had had the chance of spending some time with Cho and now he could see he had blown it.

“Uhmm, I have to go,” the girl said standing up. “Goodbye Professor Snape, Goodbye Fidens.”

“Goodbye Miss. Chang. Make sure you complete your homework. If I find any of my students being lazy I have no problems making them do Remedial Potions.”

“Yes Professor!” Cho squeaked before leaving. Harry banged the back of his head against the tree. Fidens came up and licked his chin.

“This is all your fault!” Harry murmured. Fidens blinked again and started to wander towards the castle.
Chapter Eighteen by Loz
When he had first heard of Harry’s problem, Severus simply heard that Harry had spilt Potion on himself, so he felt no large amount of concern. Rather, when he saw him standing in front of the school, he was more worried about his reputation. The students snickered behind Harry’s back, and Severus felt angry that once more he had become a figure of mirth. He was not supposed to be a source of amusement, for Merlin’s Sake, he was supposed to be their worst nightmare, the thing that went “boo” in the night. Actually he had half considered sneaking around the school after the late evening stragglers and doing that very thing.

Harry had come up to him in the Great Hall, and Severus had listened to the message but decided that Dumbledore could wait until the next day. Despite feeling somewhat annoyed at being made to look quite foolish he enjoyed a surprisingly entertaining evening beating Weasley at Wizards Chess. He had had the foresight to bet chocolate and butterbeer for the game. Weasley had been a formidable challenger, but with years of experience, and a good knowledge of clever moves, Severus was pretty much a dead certainty to win. Naturally he played it cool the whole time, doing his best to act like he was just placing the pieces in any old whichway. Gathering his prizes, Severus went off to bed with a somewhat manic chuckle. The other Gryffindors quickly followed him. Lying in bed he couldn’t get to sleep straight away, and found himself talking with Weasley.

“You awake?”

“If I wasn’t before, I am now.”

“Good. I wanna know, how’d you do that Harry? That was your best win yet!”

“It was luck, I expect,” Severus replied with a supercilious smirk Weasley would be unable to see.

“Luck my ar…”

“Okay, I read a book about plays you can do,” Severus interrupted before Weasley could finish his sentence.

“Oh, is it in the Library?”

“Yeah, but I think it’s out.”

“Ahh, I might check it out anyway.”

“How can you check it out if it’s already out?”

“I meant I’ll go look at it.”

“Could you two just shut up?” Thomas called.

“Sod off Dean!”

In the morning, because the boys had actually gone to sleep on Thomas’s fifth insistence, Severus was surprised that he actually felt slightly cheerful as he awoke to a new day of potential torture. The sun was shining only dimly, the boys were snoring, and Severus got changed to go and practice more Quidditch.

He mounted the broom with as much confidence as he could muster, and continued to hover slowly around the pitch. He kept reminding himself that all it took was a little concentration.

“Hello Harry!”

Severus fell. Standing up he saw that Granger was standing a few feet away. He had made his peace with Hermione but he was still on edge around her, ever since he had orchestrated the fight. To be honest he was still annoyed with the way she had butted in on his carefully planned scheme to belittle Harry. He didn’t think about the hypocrisy involved.

“Uhh, hey Hermione… what are you doing here?”

“Oh I come here to relax sometimes. How about you? What you were doing looked really odd!”

“Interfering little know it all” Severus thought, but instead said “uhh, balance, co-ordination, helps me when playing properly.”

“Oh, I didn’t think you’d need that. I guess I never realised how much effort you put into it. You know, if you put half as much work into your Potions as you did Quidditch, you might get better marks!”

“No I wouldn’t, Snape hates me!” Severus said automatically. He was almost surprised at how naturally the words came.

“Oh come on Harry, he doesn’t really. He isn’t as bad as you think he is!”

“He gave you detention!” Severus said. He didn’t understand it. He’d been as nasty as possible to Granger, yet she still wouldn’t do as all the other students and just hate him unconditionally.

“Yes, but all I had to do was Tutor some younger students.”

“He is evil, mean and nasty. Stop trying to see his good side, there isn’t one!” Severus said, getting more angry.

“You think what you like Harry, but I maintain what I have always said. You’re wrong about Professor Snape!”

“Well why don’t you go marry him then?”

“Honestly Harry, sometimes you are such a child,” Granger said rolling her eyes and walking away.

“Yeah? Well… so are you!” Severus yelled at her back. Somehow he didn’t feel quite so cheerful now. He frowned darkly and put the broom away. The day had only just begun. At least, he mused, he had Defence Against the Dark Arts first.


******************

Frances Flitwick was looking very alluring in burgundy robes that even with her short stature she managed to look flowing and elegant. She had brought a snuzzlebleep in to demonstrate to the class. She expertly handled the dangerous creature as if it were simply a ball of fluff. The other students sighed, ooohed and ahhhed, and for the first time in his life Severus didn’t feel complete and unmitigated contempt. After the short demonstration the students were required to draw food-webs of what the snuzzlebleep ate. Already Severus had thirty seven different food sources. He looked up at the front of the class, as Professor Flitwick discussed something with Longbottom. Sitting beside him, Weasley was yawning profusely.

“Harry, you might want to close your mouth mate,” he said suddenly.

“Eh?” Severus grunted.

Weasley smirked, “err, never mind.” There was a pause before he looked from Granger back to Severus, “Have you and Hermione had another argument? You’re getting as bad as… well, us!”

Hermione was sitting at the front of the class, her quill busy at work. She had not spoken to either Harry nor Ron as she came into class.

“Yeah, for some reason she keeps bugging me.”

“I know what you mean. Hey, do you want to go play Quidditch tonight?”

“Uhmmm…” Severus was spared the trouble of having to answer as Professor Flitwick glided over. Severus looked up in a sort of wonderment. Ron coughed slightly and began to write more quickly.

“I thought I said this was an individual assignment, Harry, Ron?” she queried with an arched eyebrow. “You only have until tomorrow to complete this. You really ought to take more care.”

Severus looked at the board, “To be handed up Friday” was clearly written under the instructions. He put his head down towards the table and started to write furiously.

“That’s better,” she tapped his shoulder and Severus automatically squirmed in his chair, “your defence skills are exemplary you know Harry, if only I could say the same of your written assignments.”

After the lesson, "Harry" was dismayed by Weasley once more asking about Quidditch.

“Uhmm…”

“If you don’t want to, that’s fine. I just thought you’d want another go before the big game.”

“Err…”

“Okay, I get the point! You’ve been acting strangely all week, Harry.”

“Have… have I?” Severus asked, this time seriously disturbed.

“Well, no more strangely than usual, I suppose,” Weasley replied poking his tongue out.

The rest of the lessons went by in a monotonous blur. Severus had absolutely no idea how boring the other Professors could be. Even though he had the disadvantage of not being able to learn anything new, he still realised that most lessons would probably bore the socks off of just about anyone. That glazed look students adopted was starting to make much more sense.

Nothing interesting happened, he didn’t have too many conversations, and the tasks he was set were easy for one of his faculties. The trials and tribulations of being a teenager were beginning to take their toll, and it hadn’t even been a week.

Straight before dinner, Severus was climbing the stairs to Dumbledore’s office.

“Ahh, young man. Come in, come in,” Dumbledore said with a grin. It took all of Severus’s willpower not to scowl.
Chapter Nineteen by Loz
Harry’s Thursday was fraught with mishaps and mayhem, something that was not much different than usual. Unlike usual, though, he and his classmates was not the source of confusion. The students were far more unruly on this day than they had been previously in the week. Harry supposed it was because the weekend was coming. He dimly remembered what it was like to feel happiness at this prospect. The sad thing was, he had felt like that just two weeks ago.

One student had ridiculously tested his potion on himself, instead of the test lizard he had been given, and found himself floating up into the air like a balloon full of helium. Harry had to poke the boy with a stick seven times before the child started to deflate and float back down to the ground. In fact, Harry got a small amount of macabre joy from it, it reminded him of Aunt Marge.

The last lesson was one Harry could have done without. The older students were definitely the ones he wanted to stay away from. He had successfully dodged looking like an unwitting fool in front of the Ravenclaws before… until he had blown it all by spilling the Potion on himself. Now, it was not going to be so easy as getting the others to do the work. Then he questioned himself “ why not get the others to do the work? He was supposed to be giving a lesson long lecture, but why not get the students to once more take on some responsibility for their learning?

He did a simple multiplication charm on the lecture notes Snape had written up and set a copy on each of the tables before the students filed in quietly. They looked nonplussed, and a few of them looked rather grumpy, when they discovered this was not going to be a session where they could fall asleep under Snape’s silken tones. Harry had assumed they would be keenly interested but instead they had that “do we have to?” attitude conveyed by whispers and knowing glances.

Surprisingly, Cho was the first to volunteer reading. She had been tentative when first stepping in the door, and had looked at him somewhat askance, but here she was reading with a soft and melodious lilt in her voice. Harry smiled as she concluded with the first paragraph, and the next student looked at him with a frown before continuing. Cho blushed and looked at the floor. The class read passably well, and Harry didn’t have to worry about stumbling over complex potion names when the students were doing it for him.

The evening brought loneliness and boredom. There was nothing to do but study for the next day. A thought crept into his mind as it struck nine o’clock. He had an invisibility cloak in his possession. Harry went to the cupboard with a grin. As he unfurled the cloak he pondered where to go. Obviously he couldn’t go anywhere he liked, but he hoped it would at least be interesting.

As he put the cloak on, it was fairly obvious that Fidens could still see him, as the furry creature looked up at him almost questioningly, and followed him as he checked in the mirror. Surely enough, there was nothing to see. Not wanting to take any chances, Harry carefully opened the door and went outside. He made sure that this time Fidens had not followed him, and started on his journey to the lower part of the school.

***************

Harry stifled a giggle and temporarily stopped. The Gryffindor ahead of him had just looked behind himself with an uncertain frown. Neville, arms full with a tall stack of books, appeared to be going back to the Library. Harry had half a mind to go and annoy the readers by making an awful racket in the aisles, knowing that Madam Pince would blame one of the students. Meanwhile, he thought it would be fun to tag behind one of his friends.

Neville had unfortunately already tripped twice, both unprompted by his unseen follower. Despite feeling his usual sympathy, Harry had found it amusing. Taking deep breaths so as not to laugh out loud, he was finding it difficult to make as little noise as possible. One of the odd things about Snape’s clothes was that they always billowed around him as if he were gliding on a cloud and Harry had found that this was due to an unusual cut and strength of the fabric. If he came close to a wall, the robes gave an awfully loud swishing sound. Harry made sure his clothes and invisibility cloak was swathed tighter around his body and prepared to give his clumsy friend more grief. It wasn’t that he disliked Neville, of course, he was just bored. Sick and tired of spending the day in a state of complete tension, Harry longed for the chance to be silly. It was bad enough that he had to be abnormally serious as a teenager, let alone be forced to live the life of an uncompromising Professor.

He had just been about to start blowing on the back of Neville’s neck in an attempt to disturb him when he noticed a small line of Ravenclaw students by the staircase at the end of the hall. The first student had said something and then tapped on what Harry had always assumed was a normal balustrade. As soon as they touched it, they disappeared, and each of the other students followed suit. Unfortunately Harry had continued walking without paying attention to Neville. His arm suddenly knocked into something very squishy and as he jumped back he did his best not to call out. Neville span around, put the books down and proceeded to step forward.

“Alright. I know who this is, so just reveal yourself!” Neville said in a low but commanding voice. Harry didn’t say anything. He was frozen to the spot in fear and anticipation. Neville gave a loud sigh and made a noise of irritation. “Look, this isn’t bloody funny. I’ve never done anything like this to you! And I wouldn’t, even if I had an invisibility cloak!”

Harry found himself stepping back again, as Neville’s hands attempted to grasp at him.

“Harry! I’m not going until you apologise. I know it’s you!”

Harry wasn’t entirely sure what to do. It was Harry, but it wasn’t. How exactly would Neville react? He wasn’t so scared of Professor Snape anymore, but this would disturb anyone. Harry felt sure that if he said “it isn’t Harry,” with his new deep and silken tones he could possibly get Snape sacked, or better yet, arrested. What was a Professor doing following students in an invisibility cloak in the late evening? Harry also realised that by doing that he would break his cover and thereby risk his life. Dumbledore was adamant. He must behave. Instead, he ran. Harry ran right past the confused Neville and behind the last Ravenclaw student.

Looking back, Harry saw Neville reaching his hands out with a perplexed expression before falling over his pile of books. Harry smirked and touched the balustrade at the same time as the student ahead. Feeling a sensation not unlike a portkey, Harry found himself exactly where he had hoped. The Ravenclaw common room.
Chapter Twenty by Loz
“How are you finding it?” Dumbledore asked, waving at a plush red velvet seat opposite.

“Delightful, thankyou. I’m having the best time of my life,” Severus replied, sitting down and adjusting the glasses on his face. He grimaced at how difficult it was to cross his shorter denim clad legs.

“There, there, my dear boy. No need for sarcasm,” Dumbledore smiled.

“If you’ll forgive me, Headmaster, I would say every need for sarcasm,” Severus said, this time with an air of resignation. Dumbledore studied him closely over his glasses. His startling blue eyes bored into the green eyes which now belonged to Severus.

“You heard about the situation, then?”

“The one that involved the infernal boy making a mockery of me? Yes I heard about it. I knew something like this would happen.” Severus cast a hand over his face and gritted his teeth.

Dumbledore continued to gaze at Severus. “It didn’t worry you?”

“No.”

“You do know what really happened don’t you?”

“Yes. The foolish boy thought it was the dark mark. Why else would he behave so oddly?”

“Yet this didn’t concern you?”

“No. Of course not. The Dark Lord would not call for me in that manner at this present moment in time.”

“Harry doesn’t know that, though,” Dumbledore said, sitting back in the seat and frowning slightly.

“I did want to ask you why not, actually. I’m surprised you’ve given him even less information than you have given me. Sometimes, Albus…”

“Please refer to me by my appropriate title. You are a student, after all.”

“I’ll call you Mr. Bumblebee if I bloody well want!” Severus stormed.

“Severus! Where is your usual respect and etiquette?” Dumbledore asked, more amused than offended.

“I left it in my real body.”

“Oh I don’t think so. Harry’s just as rude as you are, if not more so.”

For some reason Severus found himself smiling with Dumbledore. Perhaps the older man was casting a spell, or perhaps the years of frowning were finally catching up on him.

“Well, Headmaster. It is a good question. I know that the Dark Lord has resorted to communicating with his Death Eaters directly through telepathy, that the Dark Mark is no longer strong enough for his purposes, that my mind would receive the signal, regardless of being in Potter’s body. Why doesn’t he?”

“The situation is difficult enough, Severus. I didn’t want to confuse the matter even more,” Dumbledore said, assuming a distant expression again. Severus made a sound that was caught between a grunt and a sigh. “What is it like being a teenager again?” Dumbledore asking evasively.

“Considering I disliked it well enough the first time around, it isn’t particularly pleasant.”

“You aren’t enjoying being younger at all?”

Realising Dumbledore could always just use legilimency to find out, Severus spoke the truth, “sometimes throughout the day, very occasionally, it hasn’t been so bad.”

“Ahh.”

“I much prefer being an adult.”

“Yes.”

“Is it really going to be another five weeks?”

“My my, it’s getting late. You better be off to bed, before a Professor finds you wandering the corridors at night!”

“Goodnight Headmaster.”

“Goodnight Severus. Just remember, things can only get better once you’ve hit rock bottom.”

“Your pearls of wisdom aren’t nearly as comforting as they should be.”

Severus allowed himself to travel down the spiral staircase of Dumbledore’s exit, and walked back to the Gryffindor common room.


***************

Climbing through the doorway to his dormitory, Severus found himself face to face with Longbottom.

“That wasn’t funny!” Longbottom yelled, punching Severus firmly on the arm.

“Ow! What the hell was that for?” Severus asked, rubbing at his arm furiously and stepping to the right, away from the slightly shorter round faced boy.

“Your little trick earlier. I know the temptation must be high, but in future, try attacking someone other than me!” Longbottom was huffing and puffing, obviously furious.

“Attacking?” Severus asked in absolute confusion.

“Yes, attacking! Under your cloak! How many other people do you know with the power to become invisible in a whim?” Neville shouted.

Severus contorted his face in complete outrage. “Something invisible attacked you? And you think it was me?” Unless Longbottom had finally gone batty, Severus knew exactly who it was. How had Potter found his cloak? That conniving, annoying, contemptible little sneak! What was he thinking going around school in his cloak and causing mayhem?

“You mean, it wasn’t you?” Longbottom asked, his face becoming more mortified than angry. His large eyes took in the fact “Harry” wasn’t carrying anything remotely cloak-like and his expression was one of faith.

“No, it most certainly was not!” Severus said with all the conviction of the truth.

“Oh, my… Oh I am so sorry! I thought… I thought…” Neville said, coming up to rub Severus’s arm, who pulled away immediately. Neville’s voice took on an entirely different tone, “well, who, wh… what was it then?”

“I don’t know, Lo… Neville. I don’t know. But it’s probably best to keep the investigation to ourselves. If it were something truly dangerous, it would have been discovered and caught by the Professors by now. Perhaps there is another student with an invisibility cloak!”

“Yeah, you’re probably right, Harry. I really am so sorry!”

“Don’t worry. You sure do pack a strong punch, though!” Severus was genuinely surprised at Longbottom’s strength. Since when had this weak-willed Gryffindor possessed any sort of power?

“I shouldn’t use it on my friends. Sorry again. Listen, I have to get up early tomorrow, so I’m just going to go to bed, okay?” Longbottom said.

“Goodnight!”

“Night.”

Severus wondered if he should go around the school in Harry’s cloak and try and find the invisible fiend. He decided it would be altogether too time consuming and difficult. He resorted to stomping down the steps back to the common room again. Thomas and Finnegan saw him and enquired if he was okay, but he just brushed them off, pulled the Magi-Scrabble box off of the pile of games in the corner, and began playing a solitary game.

He was surprised how many derogatory terms he could make from the letters he was given. Weasley came up, saw his criss-cross of words in the air and gave a low whistle.

“Err, Harry. Angry much?”

“Just a little,” Severus said stiltedly. He waved his hand and the tiles became blank and floated back into the box. “Want a game?”

“No, that’s alright, not really my cup of tea,” Weasley declined. Thomas and Finnegan called him over and he went away to the other side of the room. Severus wasn’t sure if he was happy or angry at being deserted so suddenly.

“I’ll give you a go,” someone said behind Severus. Looking back he saw it was Granger, “that is, if you’ll let me.”

“Yeah. Yeah, why not?” Severus said, realising the best way of gaining satisfaction would be to thoroughly trounce the insufferable know-it-all.
Chapter Twenty-One by Loz
Harry didn’t know too many Ravenclaws, and gazing at them playing games, conversing and studying now was like watching a film. There was something about it that was distinctly new yet familiar at the same time. A couple of the students were playing Wizard’s Chess just like he and Ron did, another had just tripped over in a manner that reminded him of Neville. Neville. He was starting to feel really bad for the poor guy now. Playing a joke on him like that had not only been foolish, it had been unfair too. He made a mental note to apologise somehow. Give him a good mark on his next Potion or something. Then he had a thought. Neville would no doubt confront the person he had thought had been with him in the hallway. Would Snape figure it out? Well, there wasn’t much he could do about it now. Harry secured himself in the corner, out of the way of the thoroughfare of students, and watched.

“The Ravenclaws aren’t as different as I thought,” Harry mused as he witnessed friends bickering and food that someone had sneaked into the room being consumed. He stood and waited. Time ticked on, at least half an hour had passed.

He didn’t exactly know what he was waiting for, but when he saw her, he realised. Harry had been waiting for Cho. She was chatting with a younger student, Harry thought perhaps helping them with their homework. She looked so lovely. Harry smiled happily to himself. Fond memories of the agonising pain he had gone through to finally ask her out and her acceptance lingered in his mind. The wonderous first date they had shared in Hogsmeade came into view. Now Snape had ruined it. The old anger welled up. Harry whinged and moaned to himself, ever watching Cho as she swished a strand of hair out of her face. He wished he could just go up to her and talk like they had done before all of this started.

The word “mistake” loomed in Harry’s mind and he looked anxiously around for an exit, but found, to his dismay, there wasn’t an obvious passage out. Harry frowned. This was a conundrum indeed. He couldn’t disapparate, even if he had known how. He couldn’t very well ask anyone the way out. His best bet was to wait for a student to leave, but it being late evening, most students were going to their dormitories instead of out of the common room. He could hardly wait here all night!

The similar thought crept up on him again. What if he told Cho everything? He could trust her. No. Dumbledore had strictly forbidden it. Dumbledore had been the one who had got him into this mess, though.

“No, Harry… you did that yourself,” his inner voice said in condemnation.

Harry started to get worked up. He contemplated having to sleep on the couch. He imagined being awoken by a terrified screaming student due to the unpredictability of the cloak completely covering him as he tossed and turned in dreamland. Then, something flickered in his mind. It felt like an old forgotten memory. It was distant yet Harry was sure it related to his current situation. He concentrated. It was another piece of information from the Accluma. Snape had been in the Ravenclaw common room. He knew how to get out. Harry had gained a whole wealth of information from the Accluma that he hadn’t wanted to process yet… most of it to do with Snape’s past and one really odd thing about a red tutu.

Harry studied on the thought harder. Another item in the room acted like a portkey. It was large and cylindrical. Harry looked around feverishly. He moved away from his corner to search more, making sure not to bump into any of the students still in the room. He came awfully close to hitting into Tom Pickering, who was gesticulating wildly about something he claimed to have done playing Quidditch back at home. Harry knew it was absolute rubbish. He had seen Pickering fly, and he was worse than catastrophic.

Harry saw the portkey eventually. It looked like a normal container of Bertie Bott’s Every Flavoured Beans, except all of the beans were there, and that was impossible amongst a group of students. He touched the jar and smiled as his stomach tingled.

“Well, that was anti-climactic,” Harry thought when he was safely back outside.

**********

Just as he had been about to move away from the banister, Harry felt an enormous force from behind push him to the ground. A squeal echoed throughout the corridor. Harry was sprawled on the floor, a lock of fringe caught in his eyes. He couldn’t see. He’d twisted on landing and was lying supporting himself on his arm.

“Oh my Merlin! P… P… Professor?” a confused female voice said. “Your legs, where are your legs?”

Harry brushed the hair out of his eyes and stood up shakily. The rest of the cloak dropped to the floor. His heartbeat was racing, his pulse was pulsing and his throat had gone dry.

“Miss Chang, what are you doing out of the Ravenclaw common room at this hour?” Harry tried to compose himself, but the corridor was still spinning and he was aware he was standing awkwardly. Cho’s mouth was hanging open as she stared maniacally at Harry.

“What were you doing there?” the girl asked.

“That… is none of your business,” Harry said, the tremble in his voice betraying panic.

“Your legs weren’t there when you were on the floor. You had to be right by the common room entrance, otherwise I wouldn’t have hit into you.” Cho paced back and forth. “What were you doing there? What were you doing right by the Ravenclaw common room entry? You were spying on us in that, that… that invisibility cloak!” Cho was pointing at the material draped in a pile on the floor and then back at Harry.

Harry didn’t know what to do or say. He just stood there like a stunned mullet, as Cho Chang became more and more hysterical. Her face was flushed and she was waving her arms around. Harry didn’t have time to get a word in.

“You’ve probably been there for hours!” she said before stepping backwards. “You’ve probably been telling all of the Slytherins about us. Or, or it’s something completely different, it could be… it could be… I’m going to go to the headmaster and… and…”

Harry hadn’t done anything. Cho had just stopped. She looked up at him with a tormented expression and then looked at the ground.

“Is everything alright?” Harry asked, alarmed. Cho had the appearance of one who was just about to cry.

“I’m sorry. I’m acting like an idiot!” Cho said. “I think I’m going insane…”

“You’re not going insane, but you are acting like an idiot,” Harry said, trying to calm the Ravenclaw down, “I was not in the Ravenclaw common room, I was merely walking nearby.” Harry paused to let his words sink in. “I was wearing the invisibility cloak. All members of staff wear it when they are patrolling the corridors late at night. These are dangerous times, Miss Chang and call for desperate measures.” Harry wondered if this was indeed true. If this wasn’t, in fact, a staff invisibility cloak. But then, why had it been at the bottom of the box?

Conversely, Cho looked relieved. She smiled a little.

“Now. Answer me this time. What are you doing out of the Ravenclaw common room this late at night?”

“I was going to put some books in the Library after-hours return chute,” she replied with a blush.

“I don’t see any books.”

“Oh! I must have dropped them,” she said, twisting around on the spot. Harry looked along the ground and found them. He handed them over with a grimace. He was still reeling with shock. He surprised himself with the readiness of his excuses in cases such as these. He wondered if it was all him, or something left in Snape’s body. The ability to lie on the spot with startling accuracy.

“Why did you think you were going insane?” Harry asked with a small frown. Cho shook her head and blushed again. Harry waited patiently. She seemed to be at battle with herself, and when she spoke, did so slowly.

“Because for a second, I thought it wasn’t you. That you were someone else. You seem so different lately. You cut your hair, you have a cat, you spilled that potion on yourself. I thought you might be a d… death eater or something.” Harry smiled at the irony.

“Well, be assured that I am as much Professor Severus Snape now as I ever have been before.”

“Yes Professor. Thankyou Professor.”

“Now, I think it would actually be best if you got back into your dormitory. I shall return the books for you.”

“Thanks. I’m sorry. I’ve been incredibly rude. I’m surprised you haven’t taken a thousand points from Ravenclaw!” Cho said, handing Harry back the books.

“That would put Gryffindor in the lead, and we couldn’t have that, could we? Off you get,” Harry said.

Cho touched the balustrade and said the password. He knelt down, picked up the cloak, adjusted the pile of books and walked back towards the Library. That had been a close call. He realised he would have to watch his behaviour around Cho even more closely from now on. Still, he had got to talk with her, for a little while at least.

There would be no more invisible excursions.
Chapter Twenty Two by Loz
Severus scowled. He was only five points behind but the letters he had were atrocious. “Z A A B K Y N J” were the letters he possessed, and he was wracking his brain for a decent point winning word. Use the free A from “Dragon” and make Bank, saving his own two As? Too short. Steal the P from “Imperio” to make “Zap”? Same problem. Baa? Not a real word. He couldn’t exchange his tiles as there were none left. There were few spots in the air where he could add words.

“Er, do you need a bit of help, Harry?”

“No thankyou Hermione, I am thinking.” His words were stilted but not unfriendly. Granger had played a hard game, but for the most part an enjoyable game. It almost felt like he was playing against Minerva at times. He was surprised by the words she had come up with. He supposed that Magi-Scrabble had the advantage of having a rather large lexicon of words to choose from. You could do any normal word and any word spell related, including those in latin, french and aramaic. To know these words and to make them out of tiles not of your choosing took a certain degree of skill, however. Applied with a positive connotation, “know-it-all” remained an apt title for this young Gryffindor.

Hermione sat back in her chair and gave a small yawn. Many of the students had filed out of the room and up to bed. Ron had watched for a small time before both Severus and Hermione told him to stop yawning so loudly when they were trying to concentrate. Severus stared at the criss cross of words and his tiles a little longer. Suddenly it came to him. He leapt up from his chair in joy whilst flourishing his wand.

“AZKABAN!” he yelled, “one, ten,” he chuckled, “five, two because it’s a double letter score, three, one and one, triple word score, that’s sixty-nine. In your face Granger!”

Hermione looked stunned for a second and then burst out in laughter. “Wow, well done Harry!”

“Harry?” He forgot for a second, then realised and formed a smile, “you can call me Magi-Scrabble master from now on!”

Hermione didn’t seem to have noticed, “you haven’t won yet you know!”

Unfortunately for Hermione, he had. Hermione was unable to obtain a score high enough after “azkaban”. Actually, Severus’s subsequent scores weren’t particularly good either. He’d been left with “J” and “Y”. They finished the game with “Harry” at 222 and Hermione at 182.

“Good game!” Severus said with a grin that spread from ear to ear.

Hermione gave a small smile, “you’re only saying that because you won!”

“Nah! You were brilliant,” Severus said in the same tone he had used before. He stopped grinning when she put her hand on his shoulder.

“You’re not still mad at me, are you?”

Severus contemplated his answer seriously before answering. “No, I’m not. I can be really immature sometimes, Hermione, I’m sorry for the way I’ve been acting lately.”

“You know this is the second time you’ve felt the need to say this? I understand that you’re under stress, Harry. If you ever need to talk, I’m here for you. Don’t feel like you have to attack me.”

“Uhmm. Thanks. I’ll remember that in future,” Severus said evading Hermione’s eyes.

“Well, I’m tired, so I’m off to bed! I can’t wait for Defence Against the Dark Arts tomorrow. I hope my work gets good marks, I only have fourty-three references. Night!”

The food-web! He hadn’t finished his Snuzzlebleep food-web! Severus banged his head into the table before moaning, “why won’t I remember that hurts?”

He trundled off to bed with the resolution to get up early again, this time to finish his Defence Against the Dark Arts work. The only good thing was that tomorrow was the last day in the working week. As he drifted off to sleep he thought of all the things he could do on the weekend. The pleasant thought that despite being interminable, the week had finally passed drifted into his mind, and before he knew it, Severus was asleep.


***********


It proved to be one of those mornings in which Severus wished he hadn’t woken up. It hadn’t been light when he’d crawled out of bed and into the shower. Afterwards, huddled in a corner of the common room whilst furiously scribbling his food-web, he pictured Harry cheerfully drinking his morning tea. Undeniably a better arrangement would have been for Severus to withhold his lesson plans until Potter had finished his homework. He wished he had thought of that before the swap.

All too soon it was time for breakfast. Gryffindors were clamoring into the room, some yawning, others bright as buttons and all making a lot of noise. Too hungry to forego the morning meal, yet still not having finished, Severus gave up. His lips curled into a small smile as he mused that the worst thing Professor Flitwick could do was threaten to spank him.

Once in the great hall, Severus piled his plate full of food. Munching into an apple Severus was surprised when the Professor with a hooked nose and billowing black robes came up to him.

“Potter, I’d like to have a discussion with you at lunch time if you’re not too busy,” Harry said, successfully adopting Severus’s own seemingly polite sarcastic commanding tone. Severus stared up at him nonplussed before nodding his head.

“Okay.”

“Professor, Potter, refer to me as Professor,” Harry said, taking a look at Hermione and Ron who were staring up at him open-mouthed.

Instead of arguing, Severus simply nodded again and said, “I’ll see you at lunch Professor Snape.” Harry seemed surprised but relieved and walked back up to the head table. Severus wasn’t going to cause a ruckus presently. He was looking forward to telling the little sod off for using his invisibility cloak.

The first lesson of the day was Defence Against the Dark Arts. Trying to perfect the art of hiding behind his wand, Severus slid down in his chair and glanced nervously towards the door. Weasley similarly blushed and held his book in front of his face. Hermione sat straight-backed and proud.

Professor Flitwick walked around the tables and collected the papers. Each step she came closer, Severus and Ron slid further down in their chairs. She glanced at each of the assignments as she picked them up. When she saw Weasley’s she gave a very audible sound of condemnation. Severus could see a large ink stain over the left hand corner and Ron had even less food sources for snuzzlebleeps than Severus did. When she saw Severus’s, Professor Flitwick was obviously doubly annoyed.

“I expected far more from both of you. Ten points from Gryffindor each and you have also managed to give yourselves detention. Report here directly after dinner. If either of you fail to turn up I will take a further one hundred points from Gryffindor.” At this all of the Gryffindor students in the class turned around angrily on “Harry” and Ron. Hermione rolled her eyes and Dean Thomas waved his fist. Spanking was not the worse thing Professor Flitwick could do then.

Ron looked at Severus with a worried look. As Professor Flitwick glided away he whispered out of the corner of his mouth, “isn’t that your second detention in a week?”

Severus simply told him to be quiet and concentrated on what the teacher was saying. Technically he knew he should find this amusing, but sadly, the ambitious side of him took over. Even though they weren’t his marks to receive, he still wanted to do well. His twisted sense of pride and desire for accomplishment made him decide to strive to do better.

Lunchtime came all too quickly, and before he knew it, Severus was following Harry to his own office.
Chapter Twenty-Three by Loz
The bite of anticipation was gnawing at Harry as he gazed expectantly at Snape. Snape stood behind his desk with a smug smile. Snape had insisted on standing in the place of authority. Harry had meekly acquiesced.

“I see.”

“You do?” Harry asked, unsure of what Snape was thinking behind his supercilious expression.

“Yes, of course I do, Potter. Though I confess I am not sure it is the best of ideas. In fact I’m far closer to positive that it’s a bad idea.”

“Well you would think that,” he muttered, looking at his shoes with a sullen expression.

“Still, I think we should at least try.”

“You do?”

“Do I have to repeat everything twice? Are you used to conversing with parrots, Potter?”

“Sorry.”

“Yes I think we should try. Who knows, it might work. Now, back to what you were telling me about my invisibility cloak.”

“I don’t remember talking about…” Harry was soon cut off.

“Tell me Potter, did you go out in my Invisibility Cloak last night?” Snape deftly picked up a letter opener on the desk and twirled it around in his fingers, gazing at the blade. It impressed Harry with a small feeling of terror, watching himself play with a potential weapon so casually. He looked as deranged as the other students usually thought him. This was Snape, though, not him. Snape was trying to intimidate him and Harry wouldn’t let that happen.

“Er… uhmmm…” Harry didn’t succeed.

“Did you Harry?” Snape whispered, green eyes narrowing. “The truth now, boy.”

“If I were to say yes, what would you do?” Snape started to look satisfied, but Harry continued, “I mean, really. There isn’t a whole lot you can do, is there?”

“That’s what you…” Snape began, but this time Harry was the aggressive force.

“I mean, you’ve already cocked up my relationship with Cho, you’ve made Hermione suspicious of me, you’ve got me in detention, oh yes I heard about that. What more can you possibly destroy?”

“I could always kill you with this letter opener,” Snape suggested, opening his eyes widely for a deliberately menacing moment. Harry’s fear had dispelled and with his added height he leaned over Snape.

“You don’t have to bother, do you? Voldemort’s going to do that for you any day now.” Snape flinched.

“How many times, Potter? You call him the Dark Lord! Do not utter that other name in my presence.”

“He isn’t the “Dark Lord”, he may be dark, but he isn’t a lord. He’s nothing but murdering scum.”

“Despite the truth of it, despite that fact, you shouldn’t call him…, you could never understand.” Snape had shoved the letter opener blade first into the desk and was now intently staring at it. There was a twitch in his jaw.

“Didn’t Dumbledore ever tell you that fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself?”

“Didn’t Dumbledore ever tell you that some things, some people, are justly feared?

Harry turned, unable to argue any further. He tried not to think about it. He tried to concentrate on the present. “Yes, I went out in your invisibility cloak last night. It was a mistake that shall not be repeated. I’m sorry.”

“Good. You should be sorry. I don’t know why you wanted to attack a friend anyway.”

“I didn’t attack him. It was an accident!”

“Fine. Was there anything else you wanted, or can I leave?”

“You can go. Have a nice day.”

“Very funny… you too.” The door shut and Harry slumped back into the chair behind him. The one good thing? Snape had agreed.

***************

Afternoon classes were silent and still. Harry virtually twiddled his thumbs just waiting for them to end. A couple of the students seemed to notice his impatience. He was waiting for them to leave so that he could take a long hard look in Snape’s office.

It is one thing to concoct an idea, one thing to ask someone to participate, it is quite another to actually constructively plan for the event. Harry felt supremely ignorant, but Snape had seemed to assume it was his idea so he would work out the finer details. Plus, Harry didn’t much like putting even more of his life in the hands of Severus Snape, evil Potions Master extraordinnaire.

Frowning to himself as the students scrawled away on their parchments, Harry felt a small twitch of confusion. Evil? There were different kinds of evil, weren’t there? Sirius and James, in their days, had done things which Harry found morally reprehensible, but he didn’t think of them as evil. He hadn’t thought himself evil for teasing Neville, nor Lupin for attempting to eat him and his friends. Perhaps the extent of what you deemed corruption depended upon whether you liked a person or not. How could anyone like Lord Voldemort, though? He thought back to Tom Riddle. He had liked him, hadn’t he?

Harry was obviously expressing his consternation because the Hufflepuff closest to him let out a squeak.

“Are you okay, Professor Snape?”

“Hmm, what? Yes I am fine, thankyou… young Hufflepuff. Get on with your work.” The student appeared slightly offended but looked steadfastly down at their notes again. Left once more with his own thoughts, Harry brought his mind back to certain stored yet unexamined facts the Accluma had left him with.

The red tutu flashed immediately to mind. He didn’t know why this would necessarily be the first thought, perhaps because it would be exactly the sort of thing Snape would want kept secret.

In the first years of Severus Snape’s appointment at Hogwarts he had kept decidedly to himself. This much Harry could have guessed. Yet one thing that the Accluma imparted was that Severus also had a secret. He had travelled far and wide in the first two summer holidays and had come across a magic menagerie. In there had been many animals of interest and a tamarind monkey by the name of Captain Pookers.

For reasons unbeknownst to Severus, Captain Pookers had rather liked him and had followed Severus out of the store and consequently everywhere else as well. Being of an even more volatile temperament than he was now, Snape had tolerated the primate’s company for only a day before he found himself cursing. Standing in the middle of the street after purchasing some ingredients, Severus grew more and more annoyed by the monkey’s mischievous antics. Eventually he decided a curse was exactly the way to go and waiting for the most opportune moment, fired a dash of light at Pookers.

Of course, he had failed to remember the monkey had been in a magical managerie. Pookers wasn’t a Captain for no reason. The creature had a protective binding spell and magical power, albeit limited. Severus had been transformed into a tamarind monkey himself. Even worse, he had been transformed into a tamarind monkey wearing a red tutu, restricted from movement. It had taken five days before he had been rescued and this was at the cost of a considerable amount of dignity. Captain Pookers had agreed to help him for a kiss.

Harry started to chuckle to himself as he recalled the memory. Some of the aspects gleaned from the Accluma felt like they had happened to him, like they were a part of him, but this was so wonderfully removed from anything he had known, he could enjoy thinking about it as if it were a scene in a film.

Remembering where he was, Harry stared at the students who had dared to look up at the sound. He gave a small smile which unintentionally ended up as a grimace and decided that the last ten minutes of the lesson could be their own.

The students didn’t wait for him to repeat the order to leave. They sped off as if they too were followed by rabid tamarind monkeys. Harry packed up as quickly as he could and made his way to Snape’s office.
Chapter Twenty Four by Loz
Severus’s classes felt like quicksand. The more he struggled, the deeper he sank. He was torn between wanting them to finish soon and never wanting them to finish at all. The last time Severus had a proper detention he had almost killed Sirius Black. He didn’t want to admit he had almost been killed himself. He wondered what he would have to do this evening. He hoped it wasn’t cleaning. Whilst he had to confess he had spent many an hour happily polishing, he wasn’t up to hard labour tonight. He also didn’t want to have to spend the evening with Argus Filch. Apart from cleaning, students usually helped in Herbology (tending to the most dangerous plants) and Severus had been known to assign detainees a recovery task which required them to travel all over the school only to find out that what they were looking for resided where they started.

At dinner time, Severus ate very little. Weasley also seemed to be nervous. There was a glazed faraway expression in his eyes. Then Snape remembered that was always there. He munched away in silence, drinking more pumpkin juice than anything else.

“So what do you think of Hufflepuff’s chances in the next match, Harry?” Lee Jordan asked over the table.

Severus was surprised out of his reverie but recovered himself to reply. He snorted. “They’re getting crushed like the insects they are!”

He had heard James and Sirius use that sort of terminology all of the time in his younger years. Usually these days he would simply say “It doesn’t matter how the other teams fare, so long as Slytherin wins”. The insect comment had obviously still been the wrong response. Jordan looked confused and ever so slightly worried.

“Okay then Harry.” He turned away and continued talking with the Weasley twins.

“Harry, are you asking for trouble? What if a Hufflepuff student heard you?” Ron whispered cautiously. He had been paying attention then.

“It was a joke, Ron. A joke. Haven’t you ever heard one before? It’s a phrase which produces a response of pleasure in the audience.”

“Considering it wasn’t remotely funny I don’t think it could have been a joke, Harry,” Ron replied with a frown. “Come on, we better set off.”

They arrived at the Defence Against the Dark Arts room before Professor Flitwick. Ron still gave Snape a sideways glance. Severus felt the need to apologise.

“I didn’t know how to reply,” he mumbled. “I wanted to seem… I don’t know… cool.” The telling thing was that Severus supposed this must be the truth. James and Sirius had always been laughed at and appreciated. It suddenly occurred to him that Harry had never said anything remotely like that in his stay at Hogwarts so far.

“Harry… half the school already thinks you’re cool, and the other half think you’re a loonybin. You don’t have to prove anything. It’d be best if you just acted as yourself, mate.”

“That’s very good advice, Mr. Weasley,” Professor Flitwick said as she glided in. Ron and Severus looked down at her with reverence. Severus’ cheeks were flushed an unusual shade of pink. He wasn’t used to receiving poignant advice from people many years his junior.

“We’re ready to do whatever you say Professor Flitwick,” Weasley said awkwardly.

“Excellent, because my plan for the two of you is to prepare a presentation to give to the class next Monday.”

“A presentation?” Severus echoed questioningly.

“That’s what I said Mr. Potter. A presentation on one of the set spells we’re to study next week. You remember them from the study plan don’t you?” Severus nodded, even though he didn’t remember a thing. “I’m going to give you an idea of the books to find and I want you to prepare enough material for both of you to speak for twenty minutes each. Here, take a look at this list and get started.”

“This isn’t just going to take all night, it’s going to take all weekend!” Ron moaned once Professor Flitwick had left them alone in the room. Severus nodded glumly.


***********


Weasley stuck another piece of gum to the side of the desk.

“I wish you wouldn’t do that.”

“Yeah, and I wish we didn’t have to do this crud, but we can’t all get what we want, can we?”

“Shut up, Weasley.”

“No, you shut up Potter.”

“I told you to shut up first.”

“Yeah and I’m going to have the final say.”

“How can you when I’m still speaking?”

“You won’t be speaking after I have my final say.”

“This isn’t doing either of us any good.”

“You never do any good anyway.”

“Like you’re one to talk.”

For some reason, Severus was grinning at Weasley, and Weasley was beaming back. The leaf of parchment in front of them was blank, with only a drop or two of ink in the corner. Severus waved Harry’s wand absent-mindedly and cleared the ink away.

“I’m buying you a new quill,” he stated with a small frown.

“I’d prefer a new broomstick.”

“Hah! I’ll see what I can do. I don’t suppose you’ve had any ideas in the last two nanoseconds?”

“Not a one.”

They were holed up in a corner of the Library, with a pile of books the size of the tower of Pisa. Madam Pince had looked at both of them angrily when they had appeared at the dawn of day, armed with quills, parchment and a reading list of books they had to find. Both of them had decided to discuss the presentation in the evening and actually properly prepare the next day. Severus had made sure Weasley had actually got up like he was supposed to. Severus would usually have completely gone against the idea, but he saw the sense of Weasley’s proposal. It would be silly to start when you were still trying to get over the shock of having to achieve such a momentus task.

It was now late morning, however, and Severus was beginning to regret not getting down to business sooner. They did only have a limited time, and they were going to look like prats if they weren’t prepared. Their discussion in the evening had started out being about the subject material but quickly became all about the Wimbourne wasps. Severus wasn’t entirely sure how that had happened.

They had all of the information in front of them, and Severus knew a fair amount about the spells already, but they didn’t know how to form the whole thing into a presentation suitable for class. They didn’t even know which spell to choose. Severus was incredibly surprised he hadn’t thought of a way yet. He did do this sort of thing for a living, after all. He had always wanted to be the Defence Against the Dark Arts Professor as well. So far, the only remotely interesting ideas had come from Weasley, who had proven to be quite creative when it came down to it.

“Maybe if we started writing down a list of the pros and cons of each spell?” Severus asked, dipping his quill back into the ink.

“Okay. Well, the first spell is sonitusbovis.”

“Right. It’s a bit of a silly spell, really isn’t it? I’m not really sure why we’re doing it in Defence Against the Dark Arts.”

“This book says it’s mostly used as a distracting spell, before you do something really helpful.”

“Well, I can see why. I mean, you can’t take anyone seriously when they just start making sounds they don’t mean to.”

Ron giggled, “especially when it’s for a fairly harmless animal that we tend to eat at least three times a week.”

“Oh I don’t think of them as food. I like to think more about the food they produce.”

“I wouldn’t call it a food. More of a drink.”

“Yes, anyway. Shall we say ‘silly’ for con, and ‘distracting’ for pro?” Severus asked, starting to press the tip of the quill to paper.

“Yep.”

“Right.”

“The next spell is ossis rumpus dolor. This is excellent in the sense that it will put your attacker in excruciating pain, thereby making them stop attacking you. It doesn’t really appear to have any bad aspects. It doesn’t require too much Wizarding power. You could do it, for instance. Even I could do it if I wanted to strongly enough. And it can’t be deflected easily.”

“Yes, but it takes ages to say and you have to get the inflection just right. Can you imagine being up against a dark wizard, firing spells at you, and trying to say it?”

Ron and Severus continued in this manner, Ron teasing who he thought was his best friend Harry in ways he would never attempt with his Potions Master. Severus found himself smiling for no apparent reason. He was still quite annoyed that it looked like it was going to take the entire day to even get half-way through the project the beautiful yet cruel Professor Frances Flitwick had assigned them, and yet he felt quite happy to be doing something which required the use of his cognitive faculties. He wouldn’t admit that he was also enjoying Weasley’s foolish humour.

By lunchtime the two males had a nice list weighing the pros and cons of each spell. They had finally decided upon the one to use in their presentation. They had also thought of some methods they could employ in the class which would be sure to interest the students and make Professor Flitwick think they had actually taken the time they had. Severus was hungry so he suggested they go to lunch for a break, and Ron gave no complaint. They were both famished after having skipped breakfast to work. They hadn’t eaten anything that morning but for a bit of cake left over from a latenight Gryffindor feast sponsored by Fred and George.

Making their way to the great hall, Severus saw his own form having a heated discussion with a first year. He smiled. Eventually he’d be able to do that again. In many ways, he couldn’t wait. But for now, he just had to concentrate on Defence Against the Dark Arts.
Chapter Twenty-Five by Loz
Harry spent all evening and the entire day following the instructions Snape had given him for bolstering up the potion. He had the base all ready, he just needed enough. Unfortunately he kept running into misbehaving students and felt the need to punish them. Why was it that people only got in your way when you didn’t want them to? Whenever he actually wanted a distraction, things were unbelievably dull. This day he had given out two detentions. He had also taken a great number of points away from students in all four houses. The slytherins had been livid.

After such a hectic day all he really wanted to do was go to sleep, but unfortunately, when he got to his quarters, there was Minerva McGonagall ready for another game of Magi-Scrabble.

“You’re not going to get tipsy again are you?” she asked with a teasing smile. Harry was not in the mood for teasing. He swept an annoying lock of hair out of his eyes. The one bad thing about messing with Snape’s hairstyle had been this bit of hair which refused to stay with the rest. It was almost worse than the lank heavy feeling the previous style had possessed. It was much easier to wash this hair, however, he had to commend himself on that.

“I wasn’t tipsy last week, I think I may have been poisoned by one of my students,” he returned.

“If you say so, Severus, either way, I brought a non-alcoholic beverage this time,” McGonagall said with a wide smirk. She came into the room again, not feeling the need to ask. Harry was glad he’d had the sense of mind to tidy up in the morning. Fidens came up to McGonagall. She bent down and gave him a stroke, Fidens begged for more and purred appreciatively.

“Which names would you like to use this time?” Harry asked, conjuring up their chairs as McGonagall set up the chicken sandwiches and dip in the kitchenette.

“Why not just Minerva and Severus?” she asked.

“Severus and Minerva it is.”

The game was much more fast paced than the last, and knowing more about how it worked, Harry was better at coming up with words. He had also devised a strategy. When they finished he had only lost by 50 points. He was extremely proud of himself for having got this far, but was sure McGonagall would be suspicious at another loss from Snape. On the contrary, l didn’t seem at all perturbed. Instead she chuckled and suggested they put a wager on the next game.

“How about we make this even more interesting? If I win again next week, you have to wear the Gryffindor scarf during the next Quidditch match. If you win, I’ll wear Slytherin’s colours. Agreed?”

Of course, Harry thought it was a brilliant idea. He could proudly support his team whilst having the excuse of a bet with Minerva. He grinned and agreed.

“You really should smile more often,” the head of Gryffindor said in an almost motherly tone.

“No thankyou. I dread to think the attention I’d receive from the myriads of teenage girls, especially now that I’m sporting this new hairstyle.”

Professor Minerva McGongall left Severus Snape’s quarters laughing loudly. Harry took a look around the corridor, but didn’t see Dumbledore. For some reason he had expected to see him, had wanted to see him. There was a very strong element in his character which wanted to say to Dumbledore that he was surviving this. That he was strong, and capable, and beating him at his own game. That at any moment he and Snape were going to prove to Dumbledore that they were smarter than he thought they were.

Instead he went back in and gave Fidens some milk. Sitting in the chair, Harry put on some soft jazz and wrote a checklist for the next day. He was sure he had everything he needed to do written down. He’d really mastered the art of having a shower and performing his ablutions in a way which would save both him and Snape embarrassment, and did so before crawling into the four poster bed.

Strangely he had dreams of soaring through the air whilst giant letters chased him, which ended when he smashed into a giant phial of green liquid.

****************

If there was one thing Harry had never seen Severus do, not even in the memories garnered from the Accluma, this would have to be it. Harry was standing under the rays of the dawning sun in a light flowing shirt and boxer shorts. The reason for this was very simple. Fidens had disappeared. He had fallen into a deep sleep but when he awoke shortly before dawn, he was struck with a thought much like a lightning bolt “ Fidens had not settled to sleep with him. Harry had searched his quarters thoroughly but still the feline was not to be found. He tried to recall when he had last seen Fidens. There had only been one time when Fidens could have escaped and that was shortly after Harry had given him his milk. Harry had popped his head out the door as per Severus Snape’s instructions to check that all was well.

Harry cursed. Why had he rushed out of the castle without putting something more on? There had been the nightrobe, hung up on the cupboard door. Why hadn’t he grabbed it? And why hadn’t he remembered to put shoes or slippers on either? His feet were freezing. Harry could only imagine how bad his skulking around the castle in this flimsy night apparel would look to an uninformed spectator. He couldn’t worry about that now, though. He had to continue searching. He’d already been there twenty minutes.

A rustle sounded in a nearby bush and Harry leapt for it. However, it was not Fidens. It was, instead, a certain house-elf that Harry was well acquainted with.

“Hello Dobby! What are you doing out here?”

“Sir Snape knows my name?” Dobby asked in curious wonderment.

“Sir Snape? What’re you… Oh… yes, yes of course I know your name Dobby. I know many of the house-elves names. There’s Winky, and you, and uh… uhmm… er… Donner… and Blitzen…”

“Donner and Blitzen are right this moment cleaning your windows, Sir!”

Harry did his best not to smile, “Good, good. Now, are you going to answer my question?”

“Oh! I am pruning this bush. Headmaster Dumbledore himself asked me to! He thinks I am very gifted in horry… horty… horid… gardening.” Harry could now see that Dobby was brandishing a small pair of secateurs which he waved about wildly as he spoke. “If you don’t mind me asking, what are you doing out here, Professor Snape? You should be sleeping.”

“Actually, I am looking for my cat. I don’t suppose you have seen it?”

“Grey and black? Quite small? Sparkling green eyes?”

“Yes that’s it!”

“Dobby has not seen it this morning, Professor, Dobby is sorry. Do you require assistance?”

“No, that is all for now, thank you Dobby. I shall resume my search.”

Harry walked away muttering quietly. He knew that Dobby could possibly get the house-elves to look in more places than he could, but he also knew that they would then likely tell Dumbledore, and he did not want that.

He was just about ready to go back inside. However, he felt terrible at losing Fidens, and he knew Hogwarts to be dangerous. He didn’t want Fidens to get eaten by one of Hagrid’s “pets” and he certainly didn’t want the cat to become prey to horrible first year Slytherins, who had been known to test their dark magic on unsuspecting animals. No, Harry thought of an idea which would make this much quicker. He rushed to the nearby shed and got the fastest one he could. Luckily he still remembered the password for the locks. Immediately he launched into the air.

Harry skirted around the castle deftly weaving between plants and columns. It was still far too early for students to be up and about, but he wished he’d disillusioned himself. He flew slightly quicker than walking speed, but still slow enough in order to see something as small as a feline ear or tip of a tail. It felt great to be flying again, even if this was an emergency. The breeze ruffled through his black hair, and the shirt he was wearing billowed around him.

Out of the corner of his eye he thought he saw something. He stopped, stared about intently and determined that there had been something, but he wasn’t positive it was what he was after. He rounded the corner slowly, after all, he didn’t want Fidens to see him and then run away.

Harry came crashing into something which was definitely not Fidens. In fact, it felt human in substance and appearance, and when he saw who it was he swore extraordinarily loudly.
Chapter Twenty Six by Loz
Tick. Tick. Tick. Severus was being lulled into a deep sleep. Tap. Tap. Tap. The end of his wand was making such a pretty sound against the table. Creak. Creak. Creak. The chair’s angle was so interesting to look at, it was amazing how it could just float there, on the very tips of the two back legs until;

“Will you two be quiet? If you wish to continue studying here you shall abide by Library rules!”

Madam Pince walked stiffly away. Severus rolled his eyes and made a face at her back, Ron initially looked worried but smiled.

“Think she’ll turn up some time soon?” Ron asked, stifling a yawn.

“Isn’t she usually punctual?” Severus asked back in a lackadaisical manner.

“Er… only to class. And even then she’s been known to cheat time.”

“Yes, Minerva told me eventually, not that I didn’t pester her about it for ages.”

“Pardon?” Ron’s stare made Severus open and close his mouth several times. Ron didn’t ask any other questions. He just looked and waited.

“I meant Hermione. You know, Hermione and I, we went back in time and… and…” Severus began, but it was no use. He could tell Ron was still confused. He had to come up with something, and quickly. “Dumbledore’s trying to get me to think of my Professors by their first names, you see,” he said, pushing the glasses up his nose nervously, “he thinks it will help me think of myself as more adult, more capable of fighting against… well you know,” Ron still has a crease in his forehead, “and Professor McGonagall, well, she told me about the time turner even before Hermione did. I, I never told her or you this because, well, how could I, you know? Neither of you’d have ever forgiven me, and… and…”

“Well, I’m here, like you asked! All ready to be your little guinea pig. I have to say, you’re very lucky I’m doing this at all. I was really interested in picking up the newly revised fifty sixth edition of Wonderful Wizarding Wells of Wales and giving it a good look over to see if much has been changed.” Hermione looked relatively calm. Severus could feel sweat dripping down his face, and Ron, well Ron didn’t seem to actually be on the same plane of existence as everyone else.

“Let’s go to an abandoned classroom. I don’t think Madam Pince would appreciate us giving an entire presentation in here,” Severus suggested and immediately got up. Both Hermione and Ron followed him quietly. After a short walk across the castle they found a room Severus knew they could use without any of the Professors getting annoyed. He pulled out his piece of parchment and began to speak.

As he was reading the words on the page he was also thinking to himself. He had let his guard down and now he was going to pay for it. He wasn’t sure Weasley had bought his story, but then, he wasn’t entirely sure Weasley had even heard it. He finished his part of the presentation and waited for the other boy to stand up. He did eventually, but only in a half hearted sort of way. His voice was quite monotonous, and even Hermione’s usually active thirst for knowledge seemed to have relaxed into dozing stupor.

The rest of the day was relatively boring, or at least, it would appear so from the outside of Severus’s mind, which was in a constant state of worry. Hermione did eventually check out Wonderful Wizarding Wells of Wales and even decided to tell the boys exactly what was different between the latest edition and the last. Somehow it seemed to perk her up. They then played some card games and simply sat in the Gryffindor common room chatting with the other students.

Finally Weasley decided to go to bed and slowly dragged himself up to the dormitory. Severus followed as soon as Hermione finished her analysis of the first part of their presentation, which luckily she had found quite informative and even slightly fascinating. She also asked if Ron had got any sleep the previous night.

Once he was up in the dormitory, Severus found himself speaking quietly.

“Ron, are you alright?”

“I’m fine, why wouldn’t I be?” the red-haired child asked, lying on his bed with his left arm and leg hanging out the side.

“About what we were talking of earlier.”

“When?”

“In the Library.”

“I don’t remember us talking about much in the Library. You’d just started another long speech about why the Chudley Cannons were going to lose, and I had proven you wrong…”

“That was yesterday,” Severus said, perplexed.

“Was it?” Weasley questioned mid-yawn. “Oh well, it wasn’t important was it?”

“No. No! Not at all. Don’t worry about it,” Severus replied, somewhat surprised, yet also quite happy.

“Good luck for tomorrow, Harry,” Ron said, once more yawning.

“Well, you too. We’re doing this together, remember.”

“Yeah I know, but you’re actually going to need it.”

“Git.”

“Sod.”

Severus got changed, got into bed and slept soundly. Apart from one or two relatively odd dreams, he felt fine and relaxed for the next day.

*******************

Munching into his cream cheese roll, Severus smiled in satisfaction. Not only had he and Ron surprised Professor Flitwick, they had impressed him too. Weasley had delivered his part of the presentation in an entirely different manner to their practice session. He was actually buoyant and enthusiastic. Severus was now wondering more than ever if a spell had actually been cast on Weasley and pondered if he had done it via wandless magic, or whether someone else had chosen to do it.

Granger looked confused but very happy with the two young men as they concluded. She exclaimed that she knew they had always had it in them, but Severus knew that she was lying. After the lesson Professor Flitwick had told them that not only had they succeeded in their requirements for their detention, but had convinced him that this was the best method of punishment she had thought up yet. Severus personally preferred hanging students upside-down above cauldrons of steaming hot shrinking potion.

Now it was lunch time, and Severus allowed the students to talk around him as he simply ate. They never really discussed anything of immense interest to him, usually it was gossip and triviality, but it was always amusing to hear what they thought of their Professors. For instance, the general consensus on Sibyl Trelawney was that she was a dithering old hack. He’d have thought the students would wait until they were in a room where their Professors did not have unrestricted access to their conversations, however he knew Trelawney would never know what they said about her, Inner Eye or not.

He had moved on from his cream cheese roll to a pear, and to his chagrin some of the pear juice dribbled down his chin. He muttered quietly to himself and performed the summoning charm to whisk a napkin close by. He was carefully trying to clean himself up when there was a tap on his shoulder. He tensed slightly, not only being concerned to be seen in such a messy state but because as far as he knew he didn’t have any pressing engagements.

“Potter, follow me,” his own voice said. Any worries Severus had gained upon the touch disappeared.

“Sure thing, Professor Snape,” he said as he got up and followed Harry. Weasley and Granger didn’t seem nearly as perplexed this time as they had at others. They seemed to have accepted that he was bound to go off having conversations these days. They waved goodbye and let him go on his merry way. Severus found himself travelling to the Dungeons and his office. When he looked around he almost expected it to look completely different from even last time, full of rubbish or something, but of course the house-elves ensured that it stayed spick and span.

“What did you want to talk to me for?” Severus asked with something resembling a smile. Harry’s expression darkened.

“You seem awfully cheerful,” Harry said, flicking his wrist and neck quite strangely.

“I just got you out of trouble and made Professor Flitwick think you’re a genius. Whilst I would normally hate that, I’m proud that I achieved such a difficult thing!” Severus said, this time genuinely smiling at his taller self.

“Well, good for you. I needed you here for two things,” Harry said, still obviously annoyed about something. Severus was sure it was not simply his teasing which was disturbing the young Gryffindor.

“Oh yes, and what are they?”

“They’re serious, so stop sounding so amused,” Harry barked. Severus decided it was best to let him continue but couldn’t help but say something further.

“I can’t help but sound amused when I am. Alright then, explain.”

“Okay, so first of all, the polyjuice potion is ready,” Harry blurted out, once again moving in an awkward and now obviously anxious fashion.

Severus was happy about this. It seemed like their covert plan to swap back was about ready. He had known that when Potter proposed the idea it was not without its risks, but he also knew that it was better than anything he had come up with. He had instructed the boy in the smaller details of creating enough potion out of the small amount he always had on reserve and now it seemed as if this might actually work. Severus Snape could once again be Severus Snape and Harry Potter could be Harry annoying pain Potter.

“Well that sounds good,” Severus said quietly, “and what was the other thing?”

“The other thing? I’m really worried about Dumbledore.”

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1616