Look No Longer With Aversion by i cant pretend
Summary: A simple story of honest love & the want for something more from one who seems distant.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1327 Read: 2582 Published: 11/11/04 Updated: 11/11/04

1. This Is Why by i cant pretend

This Is Why by i cant pretend
Despite what any one else said, what all his friends thought, what she thought, he knew he was going to marry the girl. Impossible as it seemed, as James wandered aimlessly in the warm September sun, he couldn’t keep his eyes or thoughts off her. She sat by the lake, surrounded by a group of friends, laughing. Her brilliant red hair was in a pony tail, and her dazzling green eyes could just be made out from where James stood. His heart began to race and his thoughts blurred. What? Was this love he was feeling? Love for the one girl who’d have nothing to do with him? Love for Lily Evans?

Disastrous that he’d let it come to this. Having to observe her from afar. What was so alluring about Lily? Why can’t I just approach her? He shook his head in self pity and attempted to flatten a spike of jet black hair. Suddenly, his mind urged him to walk over to her, and before he could protest his feet were moving. No, I can’t do this. His hands started to shake, he could feel himself starting to babble. But as soon as he got to her, all fears subsided. Suddenly he realized, it’s just Lily. It’s only her, what am I so scared of? His hands stopped shaking, he wiped the sweat that had begun to form at his brow, and he cleared his throat. The girls peered up at him, Lily with a look of loathing and distaste.

“Hey,” James said with strength.

“Hi,” Said Lily, flashing him a look of aversion.

“Could we talk?”

“About what?”

“Can we talk alone?” James said, peering at the horde of girls staring smitten eyed at him. Lily left her books and bags and followed James. He led her to a bench placed across the lake from where she had been sitting. His mind scanned it self, looking for small talk, looking for the right words to form sentences. They sat on the bench, each at either end, James noticed, and promptly turned, scooting in a few inches as he did so.

“What is this all about?” Lily said promptly, making it obvious that she had better places to be then sitting there on a bench with James Potter.

“Will you go out with me tonight?” James spit out hastily.

“Will I what?!” Lily nearly shouted. James put a hand on her shoulder, which she swiftly flung off.

“Lily, just… just give me a chance.” James pleaded with her, his heart beginning to sag and his mind yet again began to race.

“Me, give YOU, James Potter, a CHANCE? I don’t think so.” Lily said, standing up, sweeping her hair behind her and walking off. James pounded him self on the forehead with his palm. How could I have been so stupid? To think that she’d actually say yes. He stood up and walked dismally towards the castle, his plans that really had never existed were now crushed and he faced a night of torment from Remus and Sirius. His footsteps quickened as an approaching rain cloud loomed, poised to burst at any moment and let down on the grounds. The lake would overflow, no doubt.


James sat at the long, decorated table with his head hung low. A slap on the back brought him back from absentmindedly staring at his empty plate. “James my good man, what’ve you got going tonight?” Remus said, taking his accustomed place on James’ left side, on his right sat Sirius who gave him a smile before beginning to load his plate.

“I was thinking about just staying in the common room for once,” James said halfheartedly. He knew his friends would weasel the days events out of him eventually, but he didn’t want to go down with out a fight.

“You want to stay in the common room?” Remus said with an air of astonishment. Even Sirius had pulled him self away from his full plate at James’ answer. “What, and miss the great adventure we’ve planned?” He said, flashing a devious look at Sirius, who raised his eyebrows in response.

“Oh, and what ‘great adventure’ is this, Remus. Breaking into Snape’s dungeon again? Setting the birds loose in McGonagall’s study? Remus the act is getting old,” James said with fury. His eyes shot daggers at his two best friends, who had looks of bewilderment slapped on their faces.

“The act is getting old? James, think about what you’re saying. What’s gotten into you?” Sirius said earnestly. James sat down and pointed down the table towards Lily.

“SHE is what’s gotten into me.” He said irately. His two friends looked from the point of James’ finger to Lily, and then at the livid James.

“James, that is all you have to say,” Remus said solemnly, placing his fork down and taking a swig of pumpkin juice. James lowered his arm and looked from friend to friend. He gave a timid smile and then excused himself. He left the great hall at an ever quickening pace until he was almost running, to the outdoor courtyard. He sat on the bench that surrounded the fountain where water dripped slowly, creating serene sounds and a pool that reflected the stars above. Few clouds were out that night, despite the sudden rain storm that had assailed the grounds earlier that day.

His head swirled with thoughts and images. Twice Lily’s face made a prominent stance in his mind that he couldn’t shake. There was a warm breeze blowing through the courtyard that shook the tree that stood in the corner and cause the pool of water to ripple. He buried his face in his hands and sat for a long while until he sensed a presence and looked up.

“Come out here often, Potter?” Said a soft voice from the corner. Shrouded in shadow, the figure moved slowly to the light. Lily’s face was illuminated by the moon, and James’ eyes lit up as she came near him. She sat down next too him, placing her long fingers in the pool and skimming the water. She dried her hand on the hem of her cloak and looked down at the ground. James suddenly realized that warm tears were silently flowing down her face and dropping onto her cloak.

“Lily, what’s wrong?” James said, putting a hand on her shoulder. She looked up cautiously, the moon revealing the trails left on her face by the tears.

“I’m sorry James. About today. About how I’ve acted towards you in the past. I had no reason to.” She said, wiping the tears from her face.

“Oh, Lily, there’s no problem. You had as much a right as any one. It’s fine, I promise.” James said consolingly. He took his hand off her shoulder and placed it in his lap. Lily sighed heavily and ran her hand through her red hair. “Did they tell you to come out here?” James said after a long pause. “Remus and Sirius, I mean.”

“No,” She replied, shaking her head in all honesty.

“Why’d you come then?” He said with a tone of astonishment.

“Isn’t it obvious, James?” She said, standing up and walking around the fountain. She sat on the opposite side from James, who stood up and walked over. He knelt down, and placed a hand on hers.

“Is this why?” He asked. He lifted himself up and pressed his lips into hers. The feeling of excitement and astonishment overwhelmed him. Could this really be happening? Was he really kissing Lily Evans? Their lips parted momentarily, but surprisingly, Lily kissed back. James put his hand on her face, he was so in love with this girl.

The two separated and Lily nodded.

“Yeah, James Potter. That’s why,” She smiled.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1772