An Unlikely Pair by Kyte
Summary: Draco Malfoy finds something out about Hermione Granger and Harry Potter, that other people must not find out about! But in return for not telling anyone Draco is asking for something...
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 15473 Read: 60960 Published: 11/11/04 Updated: 12/01/04

1. The Deal by Kyte

2. The 1st Plan by Kyte

3. Remembering by Kyte

4. Understanding by Kyte

5. Departing by Kyte

6. An Unwelcome Visit by Kyte

7. Problems by Kyte

8. A Plan by Kyte

9. The Malfoy Manor by Kyte

10. Draco by Kyte

11. Return by Kyte

12. The Battle by Kyte

13. Visiting an Old Friend by Kyte

14. Escaping by Kyte

The Deal by Kyte
"So as a special treat, to relieve ALL this TENSION that's been in the school lately, I've decided, what better way to relax then to do something as amusing as dancing?"cried Professor Dumbledore, the headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardy."Yes I'm being one hundred percent serious! A dance will be held in this very hall this Friday night! Dress robes are not mandatory, as this is not a very formal occasion! So where clothes to express yourselves and have a great time!" A number of different reactions went around the crowd of students following this announcement. Most girls started giggling and staring obviously at a certain boy. Most boys looked nervous. At the end of the Gryffindor table Harry Potter, Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley simply looked at eachother.

"How does he expect dancing will take away the fear of You-Know-Who simply bursting in on us at any moment?"sighed Hermione. Ron shook his head and Harry simply stared at his dinner plate without saying a word. He seemed to not be talking and staying silent quite a lot lately.

"That will be all for tonight! I hope you've had a wonderful meal. Now off to your beds for a nice long sleep so you're ready for your studies tomorrow morning!" The students slowly filed out. Harry, Hermione and Ron automatically turned to the marble staircase to head back to their commonroom. Hermione sighed.

"It's going to be the exact same as when we had the Yule Ball. For the next four days girls will be discussing what they'll wear, who they're going to ask."

"It might be fun, I mean you never know", said Ron hopefully. As they got about half way up the stairs they notice Cho Chang and another Ravenclaw boy talking. As the three watched the boy swooped in and kissed Cho gently on the cheek. Hermione and Ron both looked at Harry to see how he would react. He simply shrugged his shoulders and continued on up the stairs.

The next couple of days went by pretty quickly. Even though Harry, Hermione and Ron had all agreed to go to the dance, none of them asked someone else and none of them talked about it much. Friday after they all had finished their last lessons girls were hurrying to their rooms so they could start getting ready. Hermione shrugged and said, "I guess I better go too". Harry and Ron spent the time until 8:00, which is when the dance was going to start, playing Wizard Chess. Ron even tried to go a little easy on Harry, but Harry just didn't seem to be into the game.

At quarter to eight Ron and Harry heard footsteps behind them and turned around. Hermione, like two years previous, had straightened her hair, but this time let it flow loosely around her shoulders. She was wearing a light pink top and even a black skirt! Harry and Ron stared until they realised what they were doing and snapped out of it. The three of them walked down into the entrance hall. It was crowded with students. Harry noticed that a few girls had taken, "wearing clothes to express themselves" a little to seriously. They walked into the Great Hall which was decorated, as usual on special occasions, magnificently. The walls were covered in dark blue velvet, and pink and purple lights hovered everywhere in mid-air. Only a few minutes after they had walked in a very pretty girl from Hufflepuff came up and asked Ron to dance. Hermione and Harry were just as surprised as Ron. Eventually Ron accepted and they went off to dance.

"Well then....that was unexpected," said Hermione, and Harry and her both smiled, happy for their friend.

"It's really hot in here, do you want to go for a walk or something?" Harry asked Hermione. So they both walked outside and started walking around the lake. They walked in silence for a few moments. Hermione looked at Harry and realised he was staring at the ground, walking.

"Oh, come on Harry! Lighten up! It's not so bad! Just relax", said Hermione. Harry continued to stare at the ground. Hermione pulled him around so he was facing her.

"Please Harry...?" Harry looked up and his and Hermione's eyes locked. Suddenly there was a very strange sensation between the two friends and they started to lean forward. Closer and closer until finally their lips touched. Very softly for maybe a moment.

"Well, well, well", said a cold drawling voice."Never would have guessed Potty and the mudblood would hook up!" Hermione and Harry both pulled apart quickly.

"Malfoy....", said Hermione slowly.

"Does Weasle know about this? Does Weasle know that his two bestfriends are kissing in the moonlight by the lake", cried Draco.

"Shut up Malfoy", said Harry angrily.

"You better watch your mouth Potter or Weasley might be in for the surprise of his life."

"You wouldn't...", said Hermione.

"You know normally I would", said Draco. "But luckily for you I'm feeling nice today!" Harry laughed. He doubted if Malfoy had ever been nice in his life.

"And", said Draco loudly. "I think I have a way for you two, or more specifically, Granger, to pay me for not telling Weasley on you two!" Hermione looked confused but nodded.

"Well as you two may or may not know", started Draco."Myself and Pansy have been going out for awhile now. But times change and you start to realise what idiots there are in the world, and how annoying girls can be. So, what I need to know from you, is how to ditch her, without me actually having to do the ditching. I'd just feel HORRIBLE if I had to be the one." Hermione looked at him in surprise.

"Well...er...", said Hermione slowly."I guess the one thing that makes girls mad about guys is if they're cheating on her."

"So what your saying is I need Pansy to see me cheating on her with another girl", said Draco."That's good.... yes... very good... now I just need another girl so she can walk in on me cheating on her!" He slowly turned around to look at Hermione.

"Finally, a use for a worthless mudblood! So when shall Pansy walk in on the two of us?"

"Excuse me? Nuh uh, no way", disagreed Hermione.

"Fine. Your friendship will be ruined then." Hermione sighed and, without looking at Harry, said," Fine. But once and only once."

"Deal."
The 1st Plan by Kyte
The following day Harry would not look at her. The night before Harry and Hermione had walked back to the castle in silence. Harry had gone straight up the marble staircase and back to the Gryffindor dormitory. Hermione thought about going to the dance but also continued on to the dormitory. Ron did not get into his bed until 12:00am. He wanted to wake Harry but decided against it. The next morning all three of them had differant lessons and Hermione thought that was best. She struggled to listen in her first lesson, Transfiguration. She knew she should be listening to Professor McGonagall talking about how to transfigure furniture. She knew it was an important lesson. But somehow her mind kept drifting back to the lake lastnight. Why did Harry and her have to kiss? I mean did it even mean anything. Thoughts raced through her head until she could barely stand it. But all them seemed to come to, What would I have to do for Draco? The bell rang signaling break and Hermione slowly put her books into her backpack.

"Ms. Granger can I speak to you for a moment", asked Professor McGonagall from the front of the class. Hermione walked slowly to the desk.

"I noticed today that you weren't as alert as usual Ms, Granger,"McGonnagall said."I was wondering if there was anything you'd like to tell me?" Ya like I would tell you I'm going to be canoodling with the enemies son, thought Hermione.

"I'm sorry Professor, no it's nothing I was just thinking about the dance that's all" Well atleast it was half true.

"Ok then you may go". Hermione looked for Harry and Ron at break and finally found them in the Great Hall talking.

"Hermione! Where did you go lastnight?" said Ron. Hermione noticed Harry staring at her.

"Umm, just for a walk sorry. So who was the girl?" Ron told her all about the girl, Sophie, that asked him to dance. Hermione tried to listen but once again found herself looking at Harry. He, as usual, was staring at the ground. Hermione knew Harry would never tell Ron about what happened. The bell rang signaling end of break and Harry and Ron headed of to Charms, while Hermione headed for Arithmancy.

She was walking down the 4th floor corridor when someone darted from her right and pushed her into an open cupboard. Hermione was about to scream when a deep voice muttered, "Lumos", and she realised who it was.

"Geesh Malfoy, you couldn't have talked to me in a less painful way?" said Hermione, rubbing her shoulder where he had hit her.

"Sorry Granger but noone can see us. Except for Pansy ofcourse." He grinned. Hermione sighed.

"So what are you planning?" asked Hermione.

"Well I was thinking, as we all are in the same Charms class, and I know she always heads to the girls loos after Charms, we could maybe do something around there."

"And what exactly do you mean by something?" Hermione said look in his eyes.

"I don't know. We'll just go with the flow." He grinned again. Hermione rolled her eyes and started to stand up.

"Fine. I'll meet you after Charms." She opend the door and hurried to her class. Charms, she thought, Charms was today.

Her next few classes went pretty much the same as Transfiguration went. She just couldn't concentrate. She ate lunch in silence while Harry and Ron talked. Charms was her last class of the day, and when the bell rang signalling the end of it she had butterflies in her stomach. What was she supposed to do?

She walked out quickly and saw Draco walking a few steps infront of her towards the girls loo. Pansy was taking her time getting her books, which would work well for them. By the time they got to the Girls Loos on the 5th floor, the hall was completely deserted except for Hermione and Malfoy. He stood casually by the wall waiting for her to catch up.

"Ready?" said Malfoy.

"You're rather enjoying this aren't you?"said Hermione.

"Yes, actually, I think I am." He smiled then. Not a sleezy, evil smile, Hermione had seen on his face, but a soft, almost normal one. But she didn't have enough time to analize it as they heard footsteps and looked down the long hallway to see Pansy turning the corner by herself.

Draco turned Hermione and pushed her against the wall. He had his hands on her waist. Hermione, not knowing what to do, put her hands around his neck. He looked into her eyes and said,"It's so hard to find some time where we can just be alone." He said it so convincingly Hermione couldn't answer right away. She saw out of the corner of her eye, Pansy duck into a broom cupboard. Hermione could tell she was still watching though.

"I know,"Hermione said loudly."There always seems to be someone there.

"I couldn't wait to see you again." Then before Hermione could do anything he pulled her into his chest and gently kissed her lips. Hermione just stood there not knowing what to do. She could feel his tongue in her mouth and suddenly, against her better judgement, started to like it. She started to kiss him back. He had her pinned up against the wall, but she didn't care. Her body seemed to mold into his. They continued until Hermione opened her eyes and realised Pansy had left. She pulled away from him. There was an awkward silence. She finally looked up and they locked eyes. For a split second Hermione saw something there in his eyes she had never seen before. Almost like he didn't want to be anywhere else in the world at that moment. But it was only there for a second. His usual evil sneer came back.

"Not bad Granger. Who knew mudbloods could kiss like that."Hermione couldn't believe it.

"Good-bye Malfoy. I did what you asked me to do, now let's leave it alone." She turned on her heel and walked down the hall away from him.
Remembering by Kyte
Hermione lay quietly in her bed, thinking about her day. She sighed. Why did life have to be so confusing? Harry hadn't said more than two words to her since she had made the deal with Draco. Why did I give in so quickly? Hermione thought. I know why, she realised. She didn't want to think about it. It hurt, though she didn't know why. But she couldn't stop it. The memory came pouring in.

It had been in their third year when Harry and Ron were upset with her about the whole Firebolt thing. While they were fighting Hermione mostly hung out with either by herself or with Ginny. It had been before Potions, when she had arrived early, and so apparently had Malfoy and his two cronies. They had heard from someone about the fight the trio were having and of course was bugging her about it. Mudblood comments were slipping in and out. But Hermione, as usual, had ignored it. It wasn't until Malfoy let slip something horrible about her parents. It was horrible even for him to say. Hermione turned around about to tell them off, maybe more, she would never know when Professor Snape and the rest of the class turned around the corner. Later that day when Hermione was sitting by herself outside, leaning against a tree finishing her homework, the sun setting, she heard a rustle behind her. She turned around to see Draco emerging from a bunch of bushes. She could remember how the coldness of the night was stinging her skin, but how beautiful the sunset looked. She could remember clearly her eyes locking with Draco's and them simply standing there for a few moments.

"Look Granger...,"Draco started.

"I don't want to see you,"Hermione said, turning her back."Leave me alone."

"God Granger, for one second if you could just keep your huge mouth shut." Hermione tried not to let Draco see the tears welling up in her eyes. She bit her lip. She would not let him have the satisfaction of knowing he had gotten to her.

"Are you possibly Malfoy trying to apologize to me?"

"Of course not Granger, am I the kind of person that would do that sort of thing?" Hermione made herself turn and look at him. It was the smile she had seen before. It wasn't his usual sneer he had. It was almost human. Even without saying it in words, deep down, Hermione knew. He was sorry. He smiled a small smile and turned and left.

"Bye Draco,"Hermione had quietly whispered to herself.

The memory of that night faded and reality came back. The coolness of her sheets on her bed. She realised then, that was why she had given in without a fight. Because that night, she had seen probably what no one else had seen before.
Understanding by Kyte
Hermione woke the next morning, trying to shove the memory that she thought of lastnight out of her head. She still didn't know why it bugged her so much. "It's Malfoy,"she told herself. Why should I give him a second thought." But she kept having this empty feeling in her stomach. Like everything had been sucked out of it.

She struggled through her morning classes. She had Herbology today, which was usually fun as Ron was in her class. She tried desperately to listen to him tell her what he and his now knew girlfriend, had talked about lastnight. She kept looking past Ron to the open window behind him. She needed, she realised, complete silence, so she could gather her thoughts and sort them out.

"Hey,"said Harry as he caught up with them in the Great Hall. Harry and Ron immidiately started talking about a recent Quidditch match between England and Wales.

"What's wrong Hermione?"Ron asked her. "You've barely said anything all day." Hermione tried to avoid Harry's eyes but eventually had to look. He was staring right at her. Harry wasn't stupid, Hermione thought. He knows it's something to do with Malfoy.

"Nothing, I'm fine." Hermione said putting on a fake smile, that both Harry and Ron saw through.

That evening Hermione declared that she felt like going for a walk. She walked out of the portrait hole.

"Something's up with her, I know it." said Ron. He stared straight at Harry. Harry seriously considered telling him the whole story.

"I know, I have no idea what it is," said Harry.

Hermione continued across the Great Hall and out the front doors. The sky was dark, covered with clouds promising rain. She walked towards the lake. At first she wanted to walk around the lake, but then decided against it. She pushed herself through some bushes, and sat down, her back resting on a small tree. The bushes almost completely hid her. She closed her eyes. What was wrong with her, she thought desperately.

Snap.

The sound of a snapping twig, broke through the silent night air like a gun shot. Hermione started and turned around. Moonlight glistening off his white blond hair, dressed in his black robes stood Malfoy. They stared at eachother for a few moments until Hermione said,"Have you been following me?"

"Is it such a crime to want to go outside for a walk, and to see that someone else has had the same idea, and to also see that she was heading for the lake, and just decided to go in the same direction?" Hermione shook her head.

"Go away, I want to be by myself." Draco completely ignored this comment and sat down next to her.

"Wish it was a nicer night," he said.

"What are you doing Draco? What are you doing here?"Hermione cried.

"To tell you the truth Hermione,"he emphazised her name. She realised, she had, for the first time, called him by his first name. "Really truly,"he continued. "I have absolutely know idea." Hermione couldn't help it. She smiled, but quickly turned away.

"Pansy dumped me, by the way. You're plan worked."

There was a long silence. Both of them stared out to the lake. Eventually she turned to look at him. He turned as well. They stared into eachothers eyes, until Draco slowly started to move forward. Closer and closer until, as before he gently brushed his lips against hers. His lips were soft and warm, Hermione noted. As soon as this thought entered into her mind she pulled away.

"God Draco! You insult me and just magically think everything's fine." She realised dully that it had started to rain slightly. "You spend 5 years tormenting me and my friends and all of a sudden you have an interest in being with me!?" Her eyes filled until she couldn't keep them in any longer. The tears slowly fell down her face, mingling with the rain.

"You don't think I've been confused?! I spent my whole life growing up, being taught to think I was superior to muggles, half bloods, anyone with an inch of muggle blood in them. I spent the whole summer dealing with You-Know-Who, my dad being in jail, Death Eaters walking in and out of my house at everytime of day and night! Then suddenly, I realise I have feelings for one of my enemies! My dad's leader's arch enemy's friend! You don'y realise what I'm trying to deal with." Draco stopped and took a breath. The rain was now fully coming down.

"What did you say?"Hermione whispered silently. There was a clap of thunder.

"What do you mean what did I say,"but he said it in a slightly softer tone.

"When... when you said you had feelings for me." Draco turned his head so he wasn't facing her.

"I don't want to talk about it ok?" Hermione slowly pulled her hand up to put it on his cheek. She gently pulled his head so he was facing her. She didn't know what was possesing her to do this. She slowly leaned in and kissed him gently on the lips. First gently, then harder. They could hear thunder, and the rain intensified. It was pouring on them. If felt like they had just jumped out of a swimming pool. But they didn't seem to notice. It seemed, at that moment, they didn't care about anything else in the world.
Departing by Kyte
Hermione returned to the common room long after most people had gone to bed. Harry and Ron however were still sitting in chairs off to the side. Hermione walked across the common room without even noticing them. She had a small smile on her face. Harry and Ron looked at eachother in amazment.

Walking in to the Great Hall for breakfast Hermione quickly scanned the tables and quickly found Draco talking to Crabbe at their table. He smiled at her over his shoulder. Hermione returned his smile. They both knew, they'd never tell about lastnight.

Hermione got through her classes with no struggle. She answered the teachers questions correctly. All the time she wore a small smile on her lips.

As she was making her way to Charms, which was her last class, she was suddenly violently hip checked from someone darting out from her right into an open broom cupboard. "Lumos", said a deep voice. Hermione smiled. The light lit up the small cupboard.

"You know Draco, there are other ways to talk to me in private. And they're not so painful," said Hermione. Draco smiled. Hermione's stomach did a sommersault.

"Sorry,"said Draco. "I wanted to talk to you." He leaned in and gave her a gentle kiss on her lips. Hermione kept her eyes closed a few moments longer, savouring the kiss.

"Look I just wanted to tell you that I have to go home for Christmas next week", said Draco. Hermione's eyes snapped open.

"Now? You can't now!"

"I'm so sorry," he leaned in and gave her another soft kiss. "I have to. My mom sent me an owl this morning saying she really wanted me to come home." Draco had a strange expression on his face.

"What's wrong Draco?"

"Nothing, it's just my mom's never actually requested me to come home. It's nothing to worry about, I'm just surprised that's all." Hermione instantly felt pity for him.

"It won't be that long Hermione. I'll cut it short I promise. Right now I don't want to be anywhere else." Hermione smiled. He lent in one more time and kissed her softly.

"See ya later." He stood up and walked out of the cupboard. Hermione sighed. She couldn't help but be a little worried about what he said.

The next two weeks leading up to Christmas break, was filled with classes, homework, and most aspecially meeting in secret to be together.

On the lastnight before Draco had to leave he handed Hermione a small package.

"It's for Christmas, but open it right now ok?"he whispered, even though there was no possible way anyone could hear them. She opened it slowly letting the gold wrapping paper fall to the ground. She was left with a blue velvet box. She slowly opened the lid. It contained a thin silver bracelet.

"Oh Draco...," she whispered. She pulled it out. It was simple, with a small heart hanging in the middle of it.

He took it from her hands and wrapped it around her wrist. He clipped it and looked into her eyes. They had filled with tears.

"Thankyou."

"No problem." He leaned in for a last kiss before they had to depart.

"Hurry back," she whispered in his ear.
An Unwelcome Visit by Kyte
Draco left the next morning. Hermione, even though she couldn not be with Draco, found the Christmas break very fun and relaxing. It seemed like old times, just her, Harry and Ron. They played Wizard Chess, talked, wrapped presents, went into Hogsmeade. They talked everyday, Hermione learned about Ron's girlfriend Sophie, who she got along with very well. Even Harry seemed to decide to perk up and act his usual self during Christmas.

She wanted to wear her bracelet at every possible moment but knew she couldn't. If Ron or Harry saw it, there would be questions. She could tell Harry wasn't as suspicious as he was before. All in all things were going well in Hermione's life.

Draco and the rest of the students came back two weeks later. Hermione and Draco couldn't see eachother the first night back, as there was so much stuff going on. Friends greeting friends, unpacking and trying to catch up on homework were just some of the things the end of Christmas break meant. The next day after they got back was a school day. Hermione attended her lessons. Once and a while she would pass Draco in the hallway. They tried not to make eye contact as to make it too obvious but they couldn't help it. They had to see eachother.

That night they both had the same idea. They both went out for a walk, and both somehow ended up at the same place in front of the lake, secluded by the bushes. Draco arrived second and didn't waste anytime. He pulled her close to him and kissed her repeatedly on the lips. He could feel the coldness of the silver on Hermione bracelet rubbing against his neck.

After awhile he slowly pulled away and smiled.

"How was your break?"he asked.

"Not bad,"she replied. "You?"

"Kind of strange actually. I've never seen my mom being so nice to me before. Sime parts weren't as great." he sighed and Hermione knew he didn't want her to pry.

Hermione slowly stood up and beckoned him to too. "Let's go for a walk. It's pretty dark noone will see,"Hermione suggested. So they started to walk, talking mostly about Hermione's break. They walked farther and farther until they were walking along the outskirts of the Forbidden Forest.

"Looks so much more scarey at night," Hermione said. They both smiled remembering in their first year when they had both been forced to go into the forest as punishment. As they stopped for a moment to rest, they distinctivly heard a crack. It sounded like a twig snapping. They both looked at eachother.

"Sounds like someones in there," said Draco. They both slowly took a step away.

'Oh my god...,"Hermione whispered. They could hear more twigs snapping, and 3 dark shapes heading in there directions.

"Run...,"Draco whispered. "RUN!" They both turned.

"Draco...,"called a deep, evil voice, calling from the forest. "Stop." Hermione looked at Draco. His eyes opened in horror.

"It's my father,"he whispered. Sure enough turning around they both saw Lucius Malfoy, standing at the forest. Two other men were standing behind them. They all had their Death Eater masks on. But Draco and Hermione could both tell it was Lucius. Noone else had that deep, evil voice, or that long greasey blond hair.

"F...Father," Draco said fearfully. "What are you doing here?"

"I could ask you the same thing." Lucius looked at Hermione pointedly. Draco automatically stepped in front of her, protecting her.

"I thought it was incredible, no way, unbelievabe, stupidity,"Lucius whispered. "When one of my fellow Death Eaters told me that their child had seen you, Draco, and that Mudblood, canoodling. Not my son, I said. No way. Draco is much to faithful for THAT!" Hermione saw Draco shaking.

"Father stop this! I am old enough to make my own decisions! I'm not like you! I love Hermione."

"SHUT UP!"screamed Lucius. "And don't you dare call me father, as you are no son of mine, until I get you straightened out. You're going to take alittle break. You're coming with me." Draco moved backwards.

"No," Draco whispered. "I won't! I'm happy here."

"Crucio," said Lucius. Draco screamed out in pain. He dropped to the ground shaking and screaming in agaony.

"Draco!"screamed Hermione. She dropped to his side, feeling helpless. tears poured down her face.

"Move aside Mudblood." Lucius walked up to Hermione and hit her on her face. Hermione was screaming at the top of her lungs. Lucius muttered something through her screams and tight ropes shot out of his wand and wrapped themselves around Draco.

"Hermione!"he sobbed. Lucius slowly, with help of his two fellow Death Eaters carried him back into the forest, leaving the sixteen year-old-girl on the ground sobbing curled into a ball. They continued on into the forest, as it started to rain.
Problems by Kyte
Never in any point in Hermione's life had she felt this much pain. Not when she had tried to get past the Whomping Willow with Harry, not when she had fought Voldemort last term. Not even when she had been paralyzed and had woken up to all her bones hurting. Someone had told Professor McGonagall that Hermione hadn't returned to her bed that night. They had started to get worried. Started searching then finally found her with dry blood on her cheek, wear Lucius had striken her. Her cheeks were tear-stained. She had cried herself into a sleep. Professor Dumbledore, who had found her lead her up to the common room where she lay down trying to tell them what happened, but found she couldn't. Everytime she tried to think of the previous night her chest seemed to rip open and her stomach wiggled around uncomfortably. She couldn't take it.

They decided to let her be until she could tell him. She didn't leave the hospital wing. She didn't want to see Harry and Ron. The day she was found she lay in the bed all day falling in and out of sleep. Finally that night Hermione heard a light knock on the hospital wing door.

"Ms. Granger may I come in for a few moments?"It was Professor Dumbledore.

"Yes sure, I guess,"Hermione said. He walked across the room to Hermione's bed. Hermione was the only one currently in the beds. Hermione was glad of that. Professor Dumbledore stared into her eyes for a few moments.

"You know you're eventually have to tell me what happened." Hermione turned so she didn't have to look into his eyes.

"I know,"she whispered. She took a deep breath. "Have you noticed anyone else missing lately?" She couldn't keep it in. Silent tears started to flow down her face. Dumbledore surveyed her.

"Mr. Malfoy,"he said calmy. Hermione sobbed.

"We were walking by the forest and..." she took another breath."And his dad just turned up. He came out of the forest. And he took D...Draco with him." She was now openly crying. Tears flowing down, sobbing, gasping for breath. Dumbledore patted her back.

"I'll leave you alone for awhile,"he said. Hermione nodded. As soon as he left she buried her face in her pillow. She couldn't stand it. She was never going to see him again she kept thinking.

The next day, the small cuts on her face healed, she went back to her normal classes. But she mine as well not of. It was impossible for her to listen. It was like there was something blocking her hearing. Or maybe I just don't want to here, she thought. Maybe all I want to hear or see is Draco's voice. No, I can't think about him, she told herself. He's gone. I need to accept it.

Harry and Ron had been filled in by Dumbledore. For one horrible day they didn't know what was going on. They knew Hermione was in the hospital wing. They had spent the whole day dreading what may have happened. Once Dumbledore found out he told Harry and Ron. Ron's mouth dropped open at the part of Draco's name. Harry, on the other hand, had suspected it. He filled Ron in on everything he knew. Even the part where he and Hermione had kissed. He had to know it wasn't fair to him.

"Draco? Are you kidding me? Draco Malfoy? The same guy that tormented us?"

Harry sighed. "She must have seen something in him."

"Or he has her brainwashed." Harry rolled his eyes.

"I don't think so. She seems really upset. I don't think we should mention him until everything is sorted out and we find out what happened to him." Ron sighed.

"Whatever." Harry and Ron ate with Hermione, tried to start conversations. Nothing worked. She was a wreck. After she had blocked yet another conversation, Ron lost it.

"God Hermione it's just Draco! The same one that's called you mudblood and tortured us since we were 11?" Hermione stared at Ron. It looked as if she was going to cry. But all of a sudden a new emotion took over her face.

She jumped off the bench of the Great Hall and stood up, staring at him.

"Keep your mouth shut Ron! You weren't there you haven't seen him! He doesn't want to be like his dad! So just shut up!" She turned on her heal and ran out the Great Hall doors. Alot of people were staring, including, Harry noticed, Dumbledore.

Ron sat there in shock. This can't be happening, thought Harry. I have to do something. We can't lose friendships over Draco and Hermione can't be miserable her whole life. I have to do something.

Have to do something.... have to do something...The words raced through Harry's brain all night. Have to do something.
A Plan by Kyte
Harry had a huge headache when he woke up the next morning at six. He hadn't slept very much. Sort of drifted in and out of dreams. He knew what he had to do though. It was a crazy idea, he knew it, but he had to. For Hermione.


He got dressed quickly. He found the small red gold back pack Hermione had given to him for his birthday. He quickly packed a few shorts and his two pairs of jeans. He was about to leave when he realised, if he just vanished, people would worry. He quickly wrote a note to Ron. It read:
Ron,
Don't worry. I had to go do something. I won't be near Hogwarts so don't search or anything. I'll be back soon. Hopefully.
Harry

Good enough, Harry thought. he picked up his backpack, placed the note on Ron's bedside table and left the room.

He didn't meet anyone in the halls except for Mrs. Norris. When they met, Harry quickly ran past her, knowing there wouldn't be many excuses to why he was wandering in the halls at six in the morning. He continued into the Great Hall where he pushed open the door. The morning air stung his face. It was very cold and damp. He ran across the grounds, that still had traces of snow on them from Christmas. He ran right into Hogsmeade.

He looked down the long street. Noone in sight. Harry was stumped. He needed to find someone. Just then someone, a woman, walked out of one of the frosted houses. Harry flatened down his fringe. He ran up to her.

"Excuse me Miss?" The woman turned around and stared at him.

"Yes?"

"I was wondering if you could tell me when the next train out of the Hogsmeade station is?" She gave him a strange look but told him it was at 6:30. He thanked her then set off at a sprint.

He just made it in time. He quickly shoved some silver sickles into the engineers hand and climbed aboard before anyone could ask any questions. He quickly found a free compartment and sat down. He sighed. He started to have second thoughts about what he was about to do.

* * * *


"What do you mean he isn't there?!" cried Hermione. "Where is he?!"

"Hermione look I have no idea he just left me this note,"said Ron. Hermione snatched it from his hands and read it.

"Oh my god.... oh my god... no! It's not safe for him to be just anywhere right now!" Hermione then lost it. She started to sob and just sunk into a chair. She put her head in her hands. Ron awkwardly patted her back. He was never comfortable with crying girls.

"Just... what could he be doing?" Ron looked at her sympathetically.

"Well he was pretty upset about you being upset about Malfoy." Hermione looked at Ron in horror.

"Harry wouldn't.... he wouldn't go looking for Draco would he?" Ron tried to say no, but couldn't lie to her when she was like this. She sobbed.

"We need to tell Dumbledore." Ron reluctantly nodded his head.

"Ok."

* * * *

The train ride seemed alot shorter then Harry remembered. He gathered his back pack and stepped out of the train. He had eaten lunch on the train, so he was very full. He walked through the wall, exited the train station and stood on the side walk. He suddenly had a feeling of freedom. Right now, if he wanted to he could go wherever he wanted. But he didn't want to go wherever.

He knew what he had to do. He walked into the back alley of the train station, took his wand out from his back pack and thrusted it out.

He only had to wait a few moments for a violently purple bus to appear at the end of the alleyway. It zoomed down the alley to where Harry was waiting and screeched to a stop. The door flew open and Stan jumped out.

"Welcome to the Knight- Neville! I mean 'Arry! Nice to see you mate! Whatchu doin not in school?"

"Stan!" barked a voice from the inside of the bus. "Stop asking questions! We have places to go!" Harry looked surprised. That wasn't Ernie, the usual bus driver. Harry climed aboard and looked at the stranger. He was pretty young. In about his thirties. He was wearing a purple robe.

"Where's Ernie?" asked Harry. Stan bowed his head.

"You-Know-Who got 'im,"said Stan. Harry felt horrible. Just another inoccent life taken. Harry shoved the correct change into Stan's hand and took a seat in the back of the bus.

"Where to Neville?" Harry sighed. No point in correcting him.

"The Malfoy Manor." Stan and the new driver both turned around and gave him a strange look.

"Do you... not know where it is?" Harry himself didn't know the exact location. He knew it was in a small village that only wizards and witches could see, but nothing more.

"Know where it is,,, just...." said the driver. He turned around and stepped on the gas peddal. Harry looked out the window so he didn't have to look at Stan's curious face.

There was five other people that had to get off before him. Finally the Knight Bus came to a stop.

"Here you are Mr. Potter,"said the bus driver. "We hope you enjoyed your ride." Harry quickly went down the steps and onto the grey sidewalk. The Knight Bus vanished and Harry turned around. Infront of him, lay one of the largest houses he'd ever seen. He really didn't feel so sure of himself now.
The Malfoy Manor by Kyte
"Do either of you have any idea where he may have gone?" Professor Dumbledore asked. He was sitting in his armchair, in his office. It was a very comfy chair but Professor Dumbledore wasn't relaxing in it. On the contrary, he looked very uptight and upset. Hermione and Ron stood in front of his desk, Ron with the letter Harry had given him clutched in his hand. They were also not relaxing in the comfortable visitor chairs in front of Dumbledore's desk.

"We uh think he might have gone to look for Malfoy," Ron said as Hermione looked like she was on the verge of tears again. Dumbledore’s eyes widened, and he stood up.

"You will continue your lessons and your normal routine. Don't speak of this to anyone yet," Dumbledore said, taking turns looking into each of their eyes.

"What?" said Hermione. "No we need to come with you! This is all my fault I need to go!"

"Hermione," Professor Dumbledore said calmly. "It could be dangerous. This is not your fault. I will ask some other members to come with me so I am not in much danger. You two. Stay here." Hermione opened her mouth to argue but Professor Dumbledore silenced her with a look. She let a few tears fall down her face. Ron led her out of the office.

* * *

Harry realised he had not thought this out clearly. He had thought of it for most of the night but he hadn't thought of the tiny details. As he stood in front of the huge Malfoy Manor he realised he had no idea what to do. In his mind he showed up at the Malfoy Manor, saved Draco from the clutches of his father, and was the hero. He now realised he had no idea how to get Draco.

Stupid, he told himself. Just stupid. Well I have to do something, he thought. I can't just stand here waiting for some Death Eater to come kill me or something.

The Malfoys lived in a little complex. There were four other equally large houses surrounding the Malfoy's house. There was a large golden gate leading into the complex. Outside the gate there was row on row of Muggle houses. The cars driving by didn't give a second glance to the magnificent complex. Harry realised they had no idea it was there. The Malfoys had a huge garden in front of their house. Harry quickly sprinted to a huge clump of bushes, pushed his way inside them, and sat down.

Think Harry think, he told himself. How can I get into the house? He didn't think just ringing the doorbell and asking if Draco was home would work very well. No, he had to sneak in. From where Harry was sitting he only had a view of one of the huge houses sides. There must have been at least twenty windows on this side of the house. Harry suspected there was just as many on all the others. He stood up and took a chance looking into a window.

The room Harry looked upon was huge. Harry guessed it was some kind of living room. There was chairs and sofas draped in black velvet. There was a table in the middle room, also draped in black velvet. The room was painted a dark blue. The walls were quite empty except for a small shelf, painted dark blue to match the walls, built into the middle of one wall. From what Harry could tell, there was nothing on the shelf. Harry tried to fit his fingers into where the window opened. They wouldn't fit. It was locked, probably by magic. Harry turned around and sat where he was sitting before.

He sighed and put his head in his hands. What can I do? he thought. It was then that a thought occurred to him. Lucius Malfoy had appeared on the grounds of Hogwarts to take Draco. But Lucius was supposed to be locked up in Azkaban. Harry couldn't believe it. He was so caught up in making sure Hermione was all right he had completely missed that detail. It was probably all over the news and he had missed it. Harry felt like crying, but knew he wouldn't. He took a deep breath to clear his mind. Think, Harry told himself. If you had to hide someone in a huge house where would it be? Harry sat there for over five minutes thinking. Until finally five words came into his mind.

Under the drawing room floor.

Harry felt like kicking himself for not realising it before then. He had heard about it when he was twelve! When he had heard Malfoy talking about his dad keeping Dark objects under the drawing room floor. Harry stood up. He had to get into that house. He took one step out of the bushes he had been hiding in, and got pushed back in.

"Harry! What are you thinking?" Harry looked up and was slightly surprised to see the long beard and mustache of Albus Dumbledore. And, more to his surprise, Remus Lupin and Tonks standing behind him. They all moved into where Harry had flattened a large part of the bushes by sitting on them.

"Professor Dumbledore. Remus, Tonks what are you doing here?" Harry asked in bewilderment.

"Coming to save you of course," said Tonks.

"Harry, Albus wouldn't just let one of his students get kidnapped off the school grounds," said Remus. "Obviously Albus would get someone to look for him, and we've had people search this house looking for him-"

"Have you looked everywhere?" interrupted Harry.

"Of course," said Tonks. Harry looked her in the eyes.

"Even underneath the drawing room floor." The three adults stared at Harry. Harry quickly explained overhearing Draco one day. There was a long silence after Harry had finished.

"Harry, you are to stay out here. We will go in," said Professor Dumbledore.

"No! No way have I come this far not to go in there!"

"Harry," said Remus reasonably. "It's far to dangerous to go in that house."

"I'm going in," said Harry stubbornly. Remus was about to argue but Professor Dumbledore interrupted him.

"All right Harry. You can come."

"Albus," started Remus.

"Remus you're not my parent. You're not Sirius either. I'm going in," said Harry. Remus looked surprised but didn't say anything.

"So should we have a plan or something?" said Tonks.

"Working in my line of work," said Dumbledore, "you get told a couple of things." He motioned for them to follow him, and he slowly walked out of the bushes and walked farther down the side of the house. They went to almost the end where there was a large shed. Dumbledore slowly pulled open the door. Inside were a number of magical things. Magical plants, a few dusty old books, a strange looking instrument that was emitting purple sparks, and three shrunken heads. Dumbledore walked right to the back of the shed and ran his hand along the wall.

"It's supposed to be here somewhere," he muttered. "Aha here it is." It was pretty dark, and smelled very musty in the shed, but suddenly the shed was flooded with light. Apparently Dumbledore had found a latch in the door and had pulled it open. They were looking on a long sloping hallway. Everything was completely gray stone, although there were a few lanterns. They walked down the hallway as softly as they could but their footsteps still echoed of the walls. They finally reached a large wooden door.

"Harry, have you seen anyone in the house?" Dumbledore asked.

"No one."

"All right, well, this is a pretty big house so there's a very small chance someone will be on the other side of this door. I'm pretty sure it opens into a sort of cellar. Everyone wands out, just as a precaution. They all pulled out their wands and Dumbledore opened the door. It was pitch black and they couldn't see anything. The three adults muttered Lumos, so Harry followed suit. It was very damp in the room. There was many shelves, all seeming to hold different coloured potions. Dumbledore walked right past them to another wooden door. The door opened up to another set of stairs, this time leading up. They walked up them without saying a word. They eventually reached yet another door made out of wood.

"Ready everyone?" Dumbledore asked. They all nodded. He pushed the door wide open. They were now in a very large hallway. It seem to be the main hallway as there was a set of stairs leading up to another level and 6 doors on either side leading to different rooms. They closed the door behind them, and realised the door blended in perfectly with the stone wall. Someone didn't want people down there.

Dumbledore pointed to the stairs and they all followed him up them. As soon as they had reached the top they heard a voice at the end of another long hallway. Dumbledore and Tonks opened the nearest door and went inside. Remus pushed Harry into it and followed him inside. Dumbledore put his ear to the door.

"It's Narcissa," whispered Dumbledore. "And Lucius." The voices got louder as they moved down the hallway.

"He's my son to Lucius. It doesn't seem right."

"Narcissa, dear, you don't seem to understand. He was seeing a MUDBLOOD." Lucius yelled the last word. Harry clenched his hands.

"Lucius keep your voice down. I know that, but it doesn't seem right to keep him locked up in that little room."

"He will stay in there until he's had a little sense knocked into him. Now, I'm leaving, I have a meeting." They heard Lucius walk past the room they were hiding in, which seemed to be a bedroom, and down the stairs. A few moments later Narcissa followed.

They all looked at each other. Dumbledore opened the door and sprinted to the end of the hallway. He opened the door at the end and walked in. It was definitely the drawing room.

Harry and Tonks both crawled around on the floor looking for a latch as Dumbledore and Remus remained standing looking for some kind of lever. Harry ran his hand along the floor. Come on, he thought. His right hand suddenly dropped a few centimeters. He had found a latch. He opened it up. It was a trap door.
Draco by Kyte
"It's all my fault Ron!" Hermione cried. "I never should have fallen for him. It's just messed everything up!"

"Hermione," Ron said slowly. "You didn't do anything wrong. Harry just did a really stupid thing."

"Ron," Hermione said. "How's your girlfriend? Um... Sophie?" Ron looked down.

"We uh broke up yesterday," Ron said. "She kept getting mad that I was spending all this time with you and Harry. I explained to her what was going on but she didn't want to hear it."

"Aw Ron," Hermione said.

"Women eh?" Hermione smiled, for the first time in a while.

* * * *

"Guys, come here, I think I found something." Professor Dumbledore, Remus and Tonks all hurried over. Remus slid his fingers under the trap door too and helped Harry pull it open. The small room had only one small candle burning. It appeared to be empty. Remus lowered himself in, and the three others did the same.

"Lumos," muttered Dumbledore. He lifted his wand over his head so you could see in the corners. Draco was there. Tied to a chair, by legs and arms. He lifted his head slowly and nodded to them.

"I hope you aren't filthy Mudbloods," Draco said. "I am a pure-blood." Draco's eyes weren't completely focused. He looked like he was gazing off in space. Harry looked at Professor Dumbledore. Professor Dumbledore sighed.

"Like I expected. Lucius has him under the Imperius Curse." Suddenly Draco sat bolt upright. He seemed completely surprised to see them all there.

"Pr...Professor Dumbledore... Professor Lupin... Potter... I mean, Harry. What are you doing in my house?" Draco's eyed Tonks, obviously not knowing who she was.

"Draco," Harry looked relieved. "Good we'll take you back to Hogwarts and Hermione will be happy and-"

"Hermione," Draco whispered. "Is she okay?" Harry shook his head.

"She's a wreck. You need to come back, Malfoy."

"Mr. Malfoy," Dumbledore said. "You realised what your father is doing is against so many laws, not to mention he's broken out of the wizarding jail. I can't believe he had the nerve just to walk back in to his own house." Suddenly Draco's eyes became unfocused again.

"Filthy Mudbloods... pure bloods.... stupid, filthy, disgusting Mudbloods..."

"Draco!" Harry yelled. "Come on!"

"Harry," Remus said. "There's nothing we can do. Keep your voice down." Draco jumped slightly again like someone had pinched him.

"Tell... tell Hermione... I can't go back. I need to hold up my family’s name. I can't do this to my dad…"

"Yes, you can!" said Professor Dumbledore. "You have a choice! Come back with us to Hogwarts. We'll keep you safe from-"

"I can't!" screamed Draco. "I just can't... my father, he would... I don't want to know what he would do." Dumbledore bent down so he was eye level with Draco.

"Do you want to grow up to be a Death Eater and worship the Dark Lord?" Harry thought he saw tears in Draco's eyes.

"No... I mean yes! I do! My whole family... they're counting on me... I have to..." Draco paused. "I need to say good-bye to Hermione. I'll convince my father I love You-Know-Who... then I'll go back to Hogwarts and tell Hermione... tell her what I need to… then.."

"Stay with us and escape from your father?" said Harry.

"No. I'm sorry. I can't. Now leave... before I... before I call my mom to get you." Harry definitely saw a tear falling down Draco's face.

"We're always here, Draco," Professor Dumbledore said. Harry opened his mouth but Remus put his hands on Harry’s shoulders and steered him towards the opening of the trap door. Harry took one last look at Draco before they left. His eyes had become glazed again.
Return by Kyte
"Harry!" Hermione flung her arms around him. Her bushy brown hair was all over his face. "What were you thinking?" she cried.

"I didn't want to see you so miserable anymore," Harry muttered.

"Well I'm glad they caught up with you before you did anything crazy..." Harry looked her in the eyes.

"We found him, Hermione." She looked at him sharply.

"Is he okay?"

"He'll be okay," Professor Dumbledore interrupted. They were in the Gryffindor common room. Remus and Tonks had left them once they had convinced Harry to come back to Hogwarts. Harry and Professor Dumbledore took the next train home. They had arrived early in the morning. Hermione and Ron were still up. Professor Dumbledore told Hermione almost everything that had happened since they had left them. He left out some parts like how Draco was tied to a chair. He did tell her how he was under the Imperius Curse but it was wearing off quickly.

"So... he said he's not going to come on our side?" Hermione said tentatively. Harry shook his head.

"He did say he wanted to say good-bye to you though," Harry added. Hermione looked at the floor. They could all see tears welling up in her eyes.

"I'm going to head back to my office and catch up on some sleep," said Professor Dumbledore. He patted Hermione on the back and nodded to Ron. He turned towards Harry and whispered in his ear,

"Take good care of her." Then he turned on his heel and left the common room.

"I'm tired," Hermione declared. "I'm going to head off to bed." She turned quickly, trying not to let Ron and Harry see her tears but they saw them. They flowed down her face and both Harry and Ron felt an emptiness in their stomachs. Ron looked at Harry.

"What was the house like?" So Harry told Ron in more detail what had happened. Ron shook his head after Harry had finished.

"You're absolutely crazy, Harry." Harry smiled slightly. They both decided to head up to bed.

They slept most of the day. They were excused from their classes. It took Hermione awhile to get back to her normal self, but she eventually did. She started to answer all of the teachers’ questions correctly, and continued to get amazing marks on her tests. It was a whole month before someone brought up Draco.

"I wonder where Malfoy ended up," Ron said one evening as they were all sitting in the Gryffindor common room finishing up homework. Hermione didn't even lift her head from her homework.

"I don't know," she said. "He's okay though." Harry and Ron both stared at her. She continued to do her homework. Ron shrugged at Harry and they continued their homework too.

Two months later, the workload increased, Ron got back together with his girlfriend, Sophie, and the Gryffindor Quidditch team one the Quidditch Cup. Hermione was walking to her Transfiguration class when she heard a very familiar voice.

"Yeah, Mother said this summer can go to loads of different places and she'll get me all these expensive stuff from Italy." Hermione dropped her books. At the end of the hallway was Draco. He was walking with Crabbe and Goyle strutting around like he used to. Hermione felt dizzy. It was like nothing had ever happened between them. Like the whole big thing had been a dream, a fantasy that Hermione had. Draco noticed her. He walked up to her.

"Geez, Granger. Dropping books just anywhere. People could get hurt." Draco started gathering her books. Hermione stared at him. She noticed him slip a small, folded piece of paper into one of her books.

"Be more careful next time." He looked in her eyes. They seemed to be trying to tell her something. He turned, caught up with Crabbe and Goyle and walked away. Hermione felt winded. She ran to the nearest girls’ loo, ran into a stall, dropped all of her books and took out the white piece of paper. She opened it slowly:

Hermione,

Please meet me at our spot tonight at 8:00.

Draco


Hermione clutched the note to her heart. Her heart started pounding and she had to sit down. Our spot... eight...

Hermione's legs were shaking. Harry and Ron didn't ask, but they had both noticed Draco at school today, so they could guess.

"I'll be back soon, I think," Hermione told them. She couldn't walk straight down the stairs to the Great Hall, her legs were shaking too much. She stumbled across the grounds to the bushes she and Draco had sat in so many times. She bushwhacked into the middle where she knew there was a small clearing. He was already there. He seemed to have been pacing.

"Hermione," he whispered softly. Hermione couldn't hold it. Tears started to flow down her face.

"Hermione," Draco said again. He reached his hand out to grab hers but she pulled away.

"You're on the other side now, Draco, "Hermione said. She looked into his eyes as she said this.

"I'm sorry," he whispered. Hermione felt her legs threatening to give out. And then they did. Draco dropped to the ground with her and embraced her.

"You don't understand, I need to... once You-Know-Who is..." Hermione nodded her head.

"I... think I understand." Draco continued to embrace her. Hermione leaned forward and kissed him gently on the lips. She forgot how much she missed him. They sat there holding onto each other for a long time, well into the night.
The Battle by Kyte
Hermione gently nudged Draco awake. Not meaning to, they had fallen asleep in eachothers arms.

"We need to go,"she whispered. "We have classes this morning". She stood up.

"No, Hermione, please don't go yet,"Draco said scrambling up so he was standing up too. "I can't believe this'll be the last time... last time that we're..."

"Draco,"Hermione said looking into his eyes. "Don't make this harder then it has to be. You've made your choice. Good-bye Draco Malfoy." She leaned in and kissed him on the lips. "I'll miss you,"she whispered. Thens he turned on her heel and left the bushes, where they were sitting.

Hermione hurried up the steps to the front door, biting her lip. She couldn't cry... she wouldn't. She passed a few people in the hall but ran right past them. She continued to run until she arrived at the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Pickled Toad,"Hermione said. The portrait flung open and Hermione rushed into the Common Room. Harry and Ron were sitting on the couch.

"Hermione..."Harry began.

"Hi guys,"Hermione said, still biting her lip. "I'll be right down. Just got to get my books." She raced across the Common Room and flew up the steps to her dormitory. It was empty, as most people were already downstairs eating breakfast. Her legs were shaking again and she felt dizzy. She flopped onto her bed, staring at the ceiling. Not going to cry, she told herself. Not going to cry. Her eyes and nose started to sting.

"NOT GOING TO CRY!" she screamed outloud. But that just made it worse. The stinging became unbearable. The tears started to fall. Big fat tears that rolled down her face. No, Hermione told herself. He picked evil over me. He's not worth it. She wiped away her tears, jumped off the bed and opened her trunk so she could get dressed. As she was searching for a shirt her hand bumped up against a dark blue velvet box. She knew it contained a small silver bracelet. It seemed to be calling to her. It wanted her to open it, to feel the cold silver between her fingers. Hermione pushed it out of the way, and continued to get dressed.

The next few days were not as difficult as Hermione imagined it might be. Hermione knew Draco was constantly trying to catch her eye. She wouldn't let him. The one time she had to get something from him in Charms, and their hands brushed she simply said, "Thanks", and continued what she was doing. Harry and Ron definitely noticed the change. It was back to normal. Well, nearly. The one time Ron brought something up about Draco, Hermione shrugged it off and changed the subject. Ron and Harry could both tell Hermione was very sensitive about it.

The last part of the school year went by very quickly. Although horrible things were still going on with Voldemort, and he now had some of his most faithful followers with him again, Harry, Ron and Hermione felt unusually calm. Their end of year tests went very well. Hermione, ofcourse, came out top of their year. Harry and Ron both got by with passing marks. Draco Malfoy, was not bothering them. Not once did he say something about Ron's family, or Harry's scar, or Hermione's parents. Things, inside Hogwarts for once, felt almost at peace.

"It's going to rain tonight,"Hermione complained. "Summer's about to start and it's going to rain." And indeed it did look like it was going to rain. Dark rain clouds covered all of the night sky so you couldn't even see one star. Ron yawned.

"I'm tired."

"Me too,"Hermione agreed. They both looked at Harry. Harry was sitting staring out the window.

"Harry. Is something wrong?"Hermione asked. Harry looked at them for a moment and was about to open his mouth to say something when he yelled out in pain. He grabbed his scar and sunk back into the chair he was sitting in. Hermione and Ron both ran over to him.

"Harry? Mate what's wrong?"Ron said shaking him slightly. Harry was breathing deeply. He had his eyes closed. Eventually his eyelids opened.

"I saw him,"Harry was still gasping for air. "He said something about his plan... and that it was going to happen soon... I saw Voldemort..." Ron flinched at the sound of his name. Hermione looked at Harry fearfully.

"You should get some sleep Harry,"Hermione whispered.

"But,"said Ron."Shouldn't we worry about this?" Hermione shrugged.

"Dumbledore said that Harry would frequently see things that Voldemort is doing at the time."

"I want to go to bed,"Harry delcared. He stood up, walked across the common room, and up the stairs to his dormitory. Hermione and Ron watched him go.

"Keep your eye on him Ron. Good-night." She stood up and walked towards her dormitory too. Five minutes later Ron did the same. It seemed, Ron thought, that the peace they had felt for a while now, had been shattered.

* * * *

"Harry! Harry wake up!" Harry was being shaken awake by unfamiliar hands. He had been in a deep sleep, so it took him awhile to realise what was happening. He reached for his glasses on his bed side table and felt someone pushing them into his hands. Harry sat up in bed and slid his glasses on. The person who had woken him up was Professor Dumbledore. His eyes were wide open with an expression Harry had never really seen in them before. The expression was fear.

"Harry," Dumbledore said quickly. "He's here. Lord Voldemort is here." Harry did react first. He simply sat in his bed staring at the tall man with his long beard, still in him night clothes. This is some twisted joke, Harry thought. Harry was about to laugh and ask what he was really here for when he looked in Professor Dumbledore's eyes again. The fear.

"What.... how... what are we.."Harry tried to say something but found he couldn't. He was slowly filling up with fear and dread.

"You must come with me,"Dumbledore announced.

"I'm coming too," said a voice from the bed on Harry's right. Ron's voice.

"No Ron! I can't put you in danger!" Professor Dumbledore said. He was trying to pull Harry out of his bed. Harry was trying to find his wand. Ron already had his wand and was standing in front of Dumbledore. Althought Ron was tall, he barely reached Professor Dumbledore's shoulders.

"I'm coming,"Ron said. Suddenly there was a loud bang and Hermione stumbled into the room. She had changed and had her wand at the ready.

"I'm ready,"she cried. Dumbledore was about to say something but at that moment Harry had found his wand.

"Let's go."

Scared faces were all over the common room. Everyone was crying as far as Harry could tell. They all looked at Professor Dumbledore.

"Stay in your dormitory,"he said. "It's the safest place to be. I'll come for you when it's ok to come out." Everyone stayed silent as Harry, Hermione, Ron and Dumbledore exited the common room. As they walked down the staircases, Harry made himself not look out the windows, afraid of what he may see. As they entered the main hall Professor McGonagall ran out from the dungeons and up to them.

"They're advancing quickly,"she said, fear in her eyes. "I've contacted everyone. They're coming." Dumbledore nodded and turned so he was facing the three sixteen year-olds.

"Noone's forcing you to fight,"he said to them, though he was looking Harry in the eyes. "There's a chance you may not be returning. You know that right?" There was a loud bang from outside and Hermione whimpered.

"I'm going,"she said.

"So am I," Ron said.

"Are the other members coming?" Harry asked. Dumbledore nodded. Harry took a deep breath then nodded.

"Let's go."

Never in the three teenagers nightmares had they seen anything like this. A long line of more then 60, dark hooded shapes, were advancing on the castle slowly, blasting things out of their way. In the exact middle of the line, stood Lord Voldemort. He looked almost exactly as Harry remembered him from last year, though now he seemed to have a certain hunger in his eyes. He wants to kill me, Harry thought. He's going to do whatever he can to kill me. As the huge oak doors started to shut Dumbledore stepped protectively infront of the three. It was very dark, as it must have been one in the morning, but Harry could make out other figures standing close to them. He could see Professor Snape, wand at the ready, with Professor Flitwick next to him. Most of the teachers were there, and other shapes were coming too. Some from Hogsmeade, and some seemed to come out of thin air. Harry felt a hand on his shoulder and jumped slightly. He turned around to see Remus Lupin.

"Be careful Harry," Remus said quietly. Behind Remus stood Tonks, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Bill Weasley, Charlie Weasley and the twins. Behind them stood many other people Harry didn't recognise. They were all mostly staring at him though, with their wands ready. It was pretty even Harry thought, but the other side, Lord Voldemort's side, had more people. The line was still advancing, quickening their pace now. Dumbledore turned around.

"Good luck," he said. He then turned back around and started running forward. Everyone around Harry, Hermione and Ron ran too. Lord Voldemort's line stood still. Harry was about to start running when Hermione blocked his way. She hugged him, her arms around his neck.

"Harry," she whispered in his ear. "Please be careful. Please." She kissed him on the cheek and turned so she could hug Ron. They all looked at eachother, then simultaneously ran forward too.

The battle had begun.
Visiting an Old Friend by Kyte
Bodies.

Harry had to weave his way through all of Hogwarts grounds, trying not to step on anything. It was so dark, he could barely see where he was going. He had gotten seperated from Hermione and Ron when they had run forward. Many things lay on the ground. Mostly debris from things that had broken off. But there were some bodies. Harry couldn't tell wether the bodies were people from their side or the dark side. He could only see the faces when a stray spell had gone off target and the spraks had flotten over the bodies face. Once in awhile he would check for a pulse. Many, had none. Harry didn't really know exactly what he was doing. He didn't know any deadly or dangerous curses. Well he did, but none that he could actually perform. He found the most useful defense was disarming the masked figures with the Expelliarmus spell. He then took their wands and snapped them in half.

Without their wands, they had nothing.

Their were many people fighting. So many that you could barely walk anywhere without walking into someone else. Whether it was someone on your side, or on the other side, you didn't really know. Harry had caught a glimpse of Remus and Tonks sending spells at a particulary large figure. He was happy to see them alive, even though they looked exhausted.

One thing was bothering Harry though. Where was Voldemort. Ever since Harry had seen him leading his Death Eaters into the battle, Harry could not find him. Not that that was a bad thing. It just made Harry suspicious.

Suddenly someone grabbed Harry from behind. He turned his head to see evil grey eyes looking at him through slits in his mask. A long blonde ponytail hung out the other side. Lucius Malfoy. Harry struggled with all his might, but Lucius sent out a spell that kept Harry's legs and arms, tighly binded behind him. Lucius then picked Harry up and through him over his shoulder. He walked Harry through the battle field to the edge of the Dark Forest.

* * * *

Hermione had no chance to worry about where Ron and Harry had gotten to. She sent out the most difficult spells she could remember trying to hit the masked wizards other then her own side, though it was difficult. She had sustained no injuries so far. It was a night she would never forget. Bodies, laying on the ground, people running past her, some she knew some she didn't. She was strong though and didn't let herself down. Until she saw him.

His blonde, almost white hair, gleamed from the light of the moon. His dark robes were torn in many places. He was not wearing a mask. Hermione was glad of that. She saw his grey eyes, full of fear searching the crowd. Hermione saw him dodge a spell as it came his way, but another spell hit him from behind. He let out a yell of pain. Hermione's legs started to shake. He had landed in a heap on the ground. Please, Hermione thought. Don't let him be dead.

Draco suddenly lifted his head and turned around to stare at where Hermione was standing. He looked into her eyes, and started running towards her. Hermione for a split second wanted to run, but knew her legs and her brain wouldn't work together at the moment. He ran towards her dodging the people and the spells until he arrived right infront of her. It was at that moment that Hermione's legs gave out, and she collapsed, fainted.

* * * *

"LET ME GO!" Harry screamed, trying to break the magical spell that was keeping his legs and arms bound together. He was still over Lucius's shoulder. Lucius was now jogging into the deepest part of the forest, apparently not taking a path. Harry tried to wiggle free of his grasp.

"LET. ME. GO!"he screamed again.

"SHUT UP" Lucius roared. "Just shut it. I'm not letting you go until you have a nice visit with on old friend." Lucius laughed unpleasantly. Harry shook his head. He couldn't believe it. He was going to die.

They jogged along for what seemed like hours but was really only twenty minutes. Finally Lucius lowered Harry to the ground, but kept his wand pointed on him.

"Walk," Lucius ordered. Harry did as he was told. They were completely surrounded by trees and bushes. Harry wouldn't have been able to tell you which way they had come from. He noticed a small clearing where a strange red light was coming out of it. Lucius poked Harry in the back with his wand until they entered the clearing. The bright light, Harry saw, was coming from a large and magical fire in the middle of the clearing. The clearing was surrounded by the tallest trees Harry had ever seen. Harry looked around him. He saw noone except himself and Lucius. By his feet he heard a slithering sound. Looking down Harry saw a large snake. Voldemort's snake.

"Go tell your master we're here," Lucius said, apparently to the snake. Lucius, Harry could tell did not have the ability to speak Parseltongue.

But there was no need for Nagini to go get her master. From out of the shadows rose two heavily cloaked, masked figures. One had a rather petite frame of a woman. The other had buff shoulders, of a man.

"Excellent Lucius," the woman's voice cackled. Harry instantly recognised the voice. It was that of Bellatrix Lestrange. Instant hatred roared up inside Harry like none he'd felt before. He wiggled desperately, trying to break the magical bind. Voldemort was not the only one that wanted to kill tonight. Harry wanted to kill too.

* * * *

"Hermione..... Hermione come on...." A gentle voice floated in and out of Hermione's ears. She heard the words but had a hard time trying to understand them. She then felt cold water being splashed on her face. Hermione sputtered and opened her eyes. Light grey eyes and blonde hair blurred her view.

"Draco," she murmered. She tried to sit up but her head hurt too much. They sat in silence until Hermione finally mustered enough energy. She leaned against a tree. A familiar tree. Hermione and Draco, were once again in their spot by the lake, surrouned by trees and bushes.

"Your ok,"Draco said. Hermione heard the relief in his voice. Hermione kept her eyes closed as it hurt to open them. She let a small smile flutter across her lips.

"Weren't fighting much out their were you Malfoy?" Hermione said teasingly.

"Argh Hermione,"Draco pleaded. "Please don't start calling me Malfoy again." Hermione smiled again.

"Draco," she corrected herself.

"That's better," Draco said softly. "I didn't want to fight,"he said slowly. Hermione's eyes opened.

"You don't understand Hermione," Draco continued. "You don't know my dad like I do. You can't just turn on him like that. No... it's much harder then that."

"I know," Hermione whispered. "I just didn't want you to go."

"I didn't either..." he said. They looked at eachother for a long time. Draco suddenly looked at her wrist. Hermione put her hand behind her back

"What was that?" he asked curiosity on his face.

"Nothing," Hermione muttered. Draco leaned forward and pushed Hermione's sleeve up. On her wrist, was a thin silver chain with a silver heart dangling from it. Draco's heart exploded with emotion.

"You're.... wearing it," he said fingering it.

"Only tonight," Hermione said, not looking him in the eyes. "I needed it. I don't know why." Draco tilted her head so she had no choice but look at him. Hermione's eyes welled up.

"You picked evil over me," she whispered, a steady flow falling down her face.

"Hermione," Draco said. "I'm going to do the right thing. When this is over, I'm leaving. I'm going to be strong. I need you. I want to be with you." Hermione stared at him and started sobbing. She threw her hands around his neck and embraced him. Draco felt the cold of the silver from the bracelet, rubbing against his neck.

* * * *

"Mr. Potter." Harry jumped, though hatred still filled him. He turned around so he was facng the bushes oppisite them, where the voice had come from. The bushes where the two masked people were standing either side of it.

"All the times we've met," the voice said. The voice, Harry could tell was also filled with hatred. He saw the dark outline of someone walking towards him from the bushes. "All the times we've met," the voice repeated. "I know what I've done wrong. I've talked to much." The figure stepped out of the bushes.

"This time. I'm not gonna." He looked so menacing. The hunger was now more prenounced in his dark red eyes. Voldemort muttered a curse that let Harry hands and legs become free again.

"Harry Harry..." Voldemort taunted. "It's not good to have all that anger kept up in you." He turned so he was facing Bellatrix. "Apparently he wants to kill you my dear Bellatrix." The three Death Eaters and Lord Voldemort all let out a high cackle laugh. Harry turned red. He had forgotten Voldemort could see in his mind.

"Well that's not going to happen," Voldemort declared after they had finished laughing. "No no it isn't. There will only be one death tonight." He was staring at Harry right in the eyes. Harry stared right back.

But Lord Voldemort was wrong.

___________________________________________________

Hi everyone:o) Thanks for reviewing. I don't undertsand tho how come you guys need to review to read the next chapter.... i'm confused:S Can someone tell me? Doesn't really matter as long as you're reading:)
Escaping by Kyte
Voldemort took a step closer to Harry.

"You know what?" he said. "Think of it this way. You'll be with your parents now. The entire wizarding world, who are against me will be screwed, but you Harry. You'll be happy." Voldermort laughed. "Kind of a selfish thing of you to do Harry. But, in your defense you don't really have any choice." Bellatrix Lestrange laughed.

"You'll be with your dear godfather too now I suppose," she said. The four figures laughed. Harry couldn't handle it. All the hatred that had ever been inside him, from that incidant blew over the top. He lunged at Bellatrix grabbing hold of her neck. He pulled out his wand but was immidiately dissarmed by Lucius Malfoy. He was blown off his feet backwards. Harry's wand flew into the air and Lucius caught it. He tucked it into the back pocket of his pants.

"Tsk tsk Harry," Voldemort tutted annoyingly. "You really need to control your anger." Bellatrix stood up again. She now had her wand out pointing at Harry.

"Do it master of I will," she said. Harry could see the anger in Bellatrix's eyes but knew it was nothing compared to the anger inside of him. Voldemort was now advancing on Harry.

"Any last words Potter?" Voldemort snarled. Harry turned so he was facing Lucius.

"You could get your buttocks blown off my having that wand in your back pocket," he said. Bellatrix laughed quietly.

"He has such a huge head. Like his father. He makes a joke when he's about to die. Get it over with master. Please."

"Stop nagging Bellatrix." But Voldemort raised his wand above his head. Lucius was behind him if he tried to run. "Ready Wormtail?" Voldemort whispered. Harry gasped. He looked at the masked figure he thought was a man. Harry realised that the man was actually standing on a small stump, giving the appearence that he was tall then he actually was. The man then stepped off of the stump and in a voice that could be none other then Peter Pettigrews said,"Of... course master."

Voldemort had been advancing on him, raising his wand. Harry, surprisingly was not the least bit afraid of that wand. What he was afraid of was him dying without Bellatrix getting what she deserved.

"Goodbye Harry," Voldemort whispered. "Avada Kedavra!"

"No!" Someone had knocked Harry out of the way of the spell. The spell had instead hit the person standing behind Harry. Lucius Malfoy, lay still on the ground eyes wide open. Cleary dead. Harry looked at his savior. His mask had slipped off his face and Peter Pettigrew was lying in a small ball next to Harry.

"PETTIGREW!" Voldemort screamed in the deadliest voice Harry had ever heard.

"Mm...mas...master," Pettigrew whimpered. "He saved my life once... I could not go on living without paying him back... I had to... go ahead now I... don't feel the need..."

"SHUT UP!" roared Voldemort. "SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP! YOU'VE DELAYED MY PLAN. YOU SHALL PAY FOR THIS. CRUCIO!" Pettigrew withered in pain screaming. Harry felt like his stomach had dropped. He knew what he had to do. As Peter screamed, Harry sprinted over to Lucius's body. He turned him over and retrieved his wand.

"DON'T YOU DARE MOVE POTTER!"

"I'll get him master!" Bellatrix lunged, but Harry was a skilled dodger thanks to Quidditch. He dodged her easily. Bellatrix head hit a large rock behind them with a sickening thunk! As Harry stood up he could see the blood already starting to ooze from a wound on the top of her head.

"POTTER!" Voldemort screamed. But Harry ran. He didn't know what direction, he just ran. He heard Voldemort behind him chasing him. Harry was light and very fast. He jumped over tree stumps and ducked under branchs with ease. Voldemort was a strong wizard though and blasted things out of his way. Soon he was no more then a foot behind Harry.

"I've waited to long Potter,"Voldemort screamed manically. "Too long!" Harry sped up. He didn't want to die. He had too many things left to do. Suddenly Harry heard Voldemort cry out with frustration.

"DUMBLEDORE!" Harru heard him scream. Harry whipped around to see Albus Dumbledore standing between Harry and Voldemort. Dumbledore whipped out his wand, and they were soon in a heated battle.

"Run Harry!" Dumbledore yelled. "The others will take care of you. Be careful! The battles over but many Death Eaters are still walking around. Run straight this'll lead you out of the forest!" Harry turned around again and ran like mad. He ran for another ten minutes before he exited the forest. Harry was exhausted but he couldn't stop now. His legs where screaming at him to let them rest but he couldn't. He just ran, past the bodies, past the lake, into the safe entrance hall of Hogwarts. Where his legs then gave out and Harry passed out on the floor.

* * * *

"Hermione," Draco whispered. "I think it's over." Hermione opened her eyes and looked at him. She hadn't been sleeping. There had been much to noise for that. Horrible sounds. People in pain, people screaming for others. Hermione tried to put the vision of Ron or Harry being tortured out of her mind.

"I don't want to leave," Hermione said, also whispering. They were still in their spot by the lake. They had felt so secluded and safe there they hadn't left.

"I know," Draco said. "But we have to." He stood up and offered his hand to Hermione who accepted and he helped her stand up. He lead her out of the bushes. As soon as they walked out Hermione gasped. Dawn was coming and the sun was slowly creeping up. They could see all of Hogwarts grounds. Bodies were everywhere. Hermione felt her legs go weak. She stumbled and Draco held her up.

"Don't look at it," Draco said turning her towards the castle. They walked to the oak front doors and walked in. The hall was completely deserted, Hermione guess because all the students were in their common rooms and many people must be in the hospital wing.

"Ms. Granger, Mr Malfoy," came a voice from their left. It was Professor Dumbledore.

"Is Harry ok Professor?"

"Who won?"

"Is Ron ok?"

"Is You-Know-Who dead?" Dumbledore put up a hand to silence the two teenagers.

"I was going to bring you two to my office and tell you everything, but I see you are very impatient," said Professor smiling slightly. He looked pointedly at Draco's arm which was wrapped around Hermione's shoulders. He quickly removed it. Dumbledore shrugged.

"I have no problem with young love," Dumbledore said. "No problem at all. But I am guess that Mr Malfoy has..."

"Completely Professor. I want nothing to do with the Dark side or my father anymore." Dumbledore nodded but did not continue smiling.

"Well this is where I should start I suppose..." Professor Dumbledore turned so he was facing Draco. "From what Harry told me-"

"So Harry's ok?" Hermione interupted. Dumbledore sighed.

"Yes Hermione he's fine. But you'll need to stop interupting me."

"Sorry," Hermione mumbled blushing slightly. Dumbledore continued.

"From what Harry told me, Lord Voldemort tried to kill Harry, but Harry got out of the way and it hit the person standing behind Harry," Dumbledore said solemnly. "Your father is..."

"Dead?" Draco asked with no expression. Dumbledore nodded. Hermione gasped and Draco sighed.

"Well it makes things a little less complicated," Draco said, though he did not look happy. Dumbledore continued.

"Noone won. Many people died as you can tell, but most were their side. When Voldemort failed to kill Harry he fled. Of course first him and myself had to battle," Dumbledore added that last part in a bitter tone. Hermione laughed.

"Harry's fine. He collapsed from exhaustion but he's fine now. He'll tell you exactly what happened when you visit him I'm sure." Hermione nodded.

"Ron is currently with Harry I think. He also came out of the battle with only a broken wrist and a few cuts and bruises. Tonks and Remus are both all ok too." When Dumbledore finished Hermione smiled.

"Good," she said. She turned and looked at Draco who was staring at the ground.

"I have much to attend to. I'll leave you two. I suggest you go to your common rooms though," Dumbledore said. He turned on his heel and walked away. Hermione was still looking at Draco. She through her arms around his neck and kissed him softly.

"Are you ok?" she asked. Draco finally looked up from the floor and into her eyes.

"Yeah," he said. She grabbed his hand and the two walked up to the hospital wing to see Harry.

* * * *

Harry told them all that had happened. Hermione was quite terrified at the prospect of Harry being so close to dying. When Harry saw Hermione walk in with Draco hand in hand he stared at Draco.

"Hey uh.... sorry for all those years you know I uh..." Draco said uncomfortably.

"It's ok," Harry said. "Start over?" Draco smiled too.

"Yeah."

Draco and Harry were never that good of friends, but they both respected eachother from then on. The same went with Ron, though it took him a little longer to trust him.

All the students were ordered to stay in the castle, as the teachers "cleaned up" the grounds. Many of the students pestered Harry, Ron, Hermione and Draco about what happened but they simply ignored them. They weren't ready to talk about it yet.

Mr and Mrs Weasley had come out fine also from the battle, though Mr Weasley had quite a blow to his chest and needed to go to St Mungo's for a couple of days.

Most students gave Hermione and Draco strange stares as they walked down the hallways hand in hand. They ignored that too though. They were happy.

Draco was going to live with his mother for awhile, while she got over the death of her husband, but eventually Draco took the large sum of money his father had left him and moved out.

Ron again started dating his old girlfriend Sophie and Harry would regularly sneek off with Parvati Patil. Neither Harry, Hermione, Draco or Ron ever mentioned the kiss Harry and Hermione had shared. They guessed they'd never know what happened that night.

Pansy never had a boyfriend after Draco. She shriveled up and became a loner.

On the last day when they were returning to the muggle world on the Hogwarts Express Hermione and Draco were standing together while everyone else got off the train. Draco was looking at the steam engine.

"Are you sure you're ok?" Hermione asked. Draco put his hand around her waist.

"Yeah. I think I am." He smiled and kissed her.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Omb I'm done:S. wow. this feels weird. WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WHILE I'M TALKING ON MSN OR HAVE NOTHING TO DO. THERE WON'T BE A STORY TO WRITE:-(. I must start a new one:).
Lol hope you guys liked it. Thanks to my regular reviewers:dracolover, escapexreality, wizard girl, daRkzhad0wcaSt3r (who was there for awhile) and lucillaq.
Watch for my new story! Can't wait to start it.
Love,
Kyte
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1779