A Battle for All by Humansitis
Summary: Life has been great for Harry Potter; Voldemort was defeated last year and he can spend his last year at Hogwarts being normal...or so he thought. Voldemort has once again escaped his death, and he's back for revenge. This story is mainly centered around Hermione, and when it's not, it's centered around Draco. =)
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 14 Completed: Yes Word count: 60470 Read: 45485 Published: 11/11/04 Updated: 12/11/04

1. "The Dark Lord's Return" by Humansitis

2. For the Greater Good by Humansitis

3. The Inciting Moment by Humansitis

4. Entropy by Humansitis

5. Et Tu... by Humansitis

6. Dee by Humansitis

7. The Army by Humansitis

8. First Day Back by Humansitis

9. The Break Up by Humansitis

10. The Hate Potion by Humansitis

11. Freaky Friday? by Humansitis

12. Righting the Wrong by Humansitis

13. by Humansitis

14. by Humansitis

"The Dark Lord's Return" by Humansitis
CHAPTER I

Harry, Ron, and Hermione exited the Great Hall after lunch and headed for their last class of the week, Transfiguration. Hermione suddenly stopped halfway and let out a scream of horror. Both Harry and Ron flipped around only to find their friend staring wide eyed at the library door.

“W-w-what…why…why is the library closed?” Hermione demanded in a tone which suggested that someone informed her of Armageddon.

“Merlin’s Beard, Hermione! Don’t scare us like that!” Ron spoke indignantly.

Realizing that she had caused both Ron and Harry to pull out their wands and point it accusingly at the library door, she turned pink. Harry let out a relieved sigh and put his wand back into his robes. His green eyes scanned the hall checking to make sure no one saw Ron and him pointing their wands stupidly at the library door. Once satisfied he started to return his eyes to Hermione, when a notice in bright red ink caught his eye.

“Hey Hermione, look!” Harry tore the awed Hermione away from the closed doors and placed her in front of the sign.

The Liberi Rari Convention will be held in the Hogwarts School library
At 9:00 PM Friday, November 31st
to 9:00 PM Saturday, December 1st.
Due to this special occasion,
the library will be closed on Friday so the convention may set up.
All students are welcome to attend.
Books range from 1 Galleon to 500 Galleons. See you tonight!”
-Madame Pince

“Oooh! Sounds fantastic! You guys wanna go?” Hermione excitedly asked her two best friends.

“I’d love to go! I never thought they would allow the Rare Books Convention here! Do you know what kind of stock they carry?!” Rarely this enthusiastic about anything (except Quidditch), Harry responded immediately.

“Harry, I doubt Dumbledore would allow them to bring EVERYTHING! Though I am curious as to where he’s drawing the line for the Dark Arts section.” Hermione paused for a moment then wheeled around to Ron, who was perfectly content on being silent. “Well Ron, are you coming?”

Ron sighed and his lanky body slumped; although he was still a whole head taller than Hermione, and half a head taller than Harry (not counting the portions of Harry’s hair that stubbornly stood straight up). “Hermione, you know I can’t. I promised Fred and George I’d help them out at their shop this weekend. It’d already be near midnight by the time I got there even if I left the second Transfiguration was over.” Ron finished in a tone that was pleading Hermione to just accept what he had said. Hermione’s eyebrows dropped a little, but nodded her head all the same. She knew how busy Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes was now-a-days. She smiled gently at Ron, relaxing him, and they continued their way to Transfiguration.

Silence fell the instant the bell rang, and Professor McGonagall’s crisp, down-to-business voice began, “Today we will be learning to transform humans into animals. This is called Human Transfiguration. Watch.” She pulled out her wand and lightly flicked it, ending the flick with a smooth backward C curve at Draco Malfoy, pronouncing every letter of commute (in this case, come-mute-eh) clearly while doing so. A flash of white light blinded the room and a second later Malfoy was a ferret. The room roared with laughter, having remembered three years ago when “Professor Moody” did the same. Hermione could have sworn she saw a small smile flash and fade quickly across McGonagall’s face. And half a minute later, Professor McGonagall pointed her wand at Malfoy and said, “Finite Incantatum!”

Malfoy reappeared in his seat in a shade of red Hermione had never seen. Before Malfoy could open his mouth, Professor McGonagall said, “I’m sorry to have embarrassed you Mr. Malfoy, but you were the only one here I knew of that had experience with Human Transfiguration before.” McGonagall’s voice was indeed apologetic (even she could not be sure what he’d turn into), so Malfoy just sank into his chair and stared hard at the wall. After the laughter died down, McGonagall told them to get into pairs and practice the charm. Hermione and Draco were excused though because Professor McGonagall felt they already knew the lesson well enough.

Hermione sat in her seat watching Harry successfully turn Ron into a rabbit and back, but looked away for just a second when Ron totally messed up on Harry. She returned her head to watch Ron and Harry, but a horrified look dawned on her face when instead of seeing Harry’s head on Harry’s shoulders, there was an oversized stag’s head on Harry’s shoulders. Ron escorted Harry to the hospital wing, returning in time for the dismissal bell. He packed his things and said good-bye to Hermione (adding a quick apology about Harry) and left for Diagon Alley.

Hermione set off to the hospital wing immediately to check on Harry. Madam Pomfrey gave her the usual lecture about her patients needing their rest and quiet. Hermione already had the speech memorized but listened to it patiently anyway and nodded when it ended. Then she rushed to Harry’s bedside.

“Are you okay Harry?” Hermione asked, unable to hide the worry in her voice.

Harry nodded. Then in an unexpected deep and hoarse voice he said, “Don’t worry about me, I’ll be fine. Madam Pomfrey knows what she’s doing.” Hermione grinned at this. It was true. Madam Pomfrey had always been able to fix Harry up. Whether it was growing back his bones or shrinking his head (Malfoy was to thank for that one), Madam Pomfrey had never failed him.

“Do you want me to stay and keep you company?”

Harry shook his stag head. “It’s alright. You go to that convention. It’s a once in a lifetime event Hermione, I don’t want you to miss it because of me.” He gave her a meaningful look and she nodded. A few minutes later she got up and left the hospital wing, a couple stag hairs floating in her bushy brown hair as a result of hugging Harry.

Hermione headed back towards Gryffindor Tower, stopping only to tell the Fat Lady the Gryffindor password (which was “Flipping Flippies”), and dropped her books off in her room. This was their seventh and last year at Hogwarts. She looked around the room. It was a complete mess except in a little corner where her bed and the study table was. Lavender Brown and Parvati Patil roomed with her and allowed her the bed next to the window and table (for she studied much more than the both of them combined). She pulled opened the first section of the drawer next to the window and took out her money purse. On her way out of the room, she grabbed her big bag (for days when she had double potions and arithmancy) and dropped the coin purse into it and first went to the Great Hall. She sat down between Lavender and Parvati because neither Harry or Ron were there. She ate quickly while listening to the girls gossip about boys and then set off for the library once she was done.

If it weren’t for the huge sign saying “LIBERI RARI CONVENTION”, Hermione thought she had somehow got lost on her way to the library (though this was literally impossible because in her sixth year she was able to get to the library from Gryffindor tower blind-an experiment gone wrong). The library was unrecognizable. For one thing, there were a lot more people than usual, but it wasn’t as packed as Hermione thought it would be. All the little tables that used to be between every 3 or 4 shelves were gone…because there was no longer any extra space between the shelves. There were rows and rows and rows of books lining the library walls. The rest of the library was jammed packed with more shelves of books. Hermione involuntarily squealed with joy at the sight of so many books in front of her. She also noticed that the checkout counter now had 5 cashiers standing behind it. She walked further into the library unable to decide which section she wanted to look at first. There were so many categories: Magical Music, Exercise and Health, Magical Food Recipes, Comic, Rare Potions and Charms, Famous Artists, Biographies of Famous Wizards and Witches, History, and Dark Arts. There were more, but her eyes stopped on the history section and she half skipped towards it. There was a good 10 rows dedicated to History alone. Hermione skimmed through the whole section first and stopped at the last shelf to look at a book that caught her eye: The History of Hogwarts NOT Mentioned in Hogwarts: A History. She grinned toothily and pulled the book out, leaving a hole almost half a foot wide on the shelf. Then she heard a girl’s whiny voice come from the next shelf.

“This is so boring Draco. I hate reading! Why are we here?” It was undoubtedly the voice of Pansy Parkinson. A few seconds later Malfoy’s voice came with an annoyed reply.

“Pansy, I didn’t ask you to come. You can leave if you’d like. In fact, if you do leave, I think it’d be the first time in a whole year that I actually have some privacy. It’s not my fault you like me so much.” Hermione didn’t have to see Malfoy to know that a smirk was crawling onto his pale pointed face. She heard Pansy huff and stomp out of the library cursing Malfoy. Hermione started to open her book when she noticed something shiny on the shelf where her book used to be. She bent her head to take a closer look when she heard a scream and jumped. She hit her head hard on the top shelf, and looked up to see Malfoy’s unpleasant face staring through the hole her book created, although there were currently two Malfoys.

“Geez Malfoy! What’s your problem? If your scream went any higher it would have shattered the library windows!” Hermione was still shaking off the side effects of Malfoy’s high pitched scream and the ache on the spot where she hit her head.

“Oh shut up Mudblood. You’d scream too if you took a book off the shelf and saw your big ugly head sitting there. Here I am, minding my own business, and suddenly your disgusting head of what some call hair appears everywhere and your face is attached to the shelf. What were you doing anyway? All the boys turn you down? Now you’re trying to get with the library shelves? No wonder you come here so often.” Malfoy sneered looking proud of his response.

Red with anger Hermione replied, “At least I’m not permanently attached to an annoying, ugly, idiotic girl. Then again, I suppose you’re lucky to have Pansy Parkinson considering you’re twice as annoying, twice as ugly, and twice as idiotic.” Malfoy stood there glaring at Hermione for a moment, his cold gray eyes seemed to be piercing a hole in her head. Then he looked away. “What’s the matter, is the poor defenseless ferret at a loss for words?”

“I’d shut up if I were you Granger.” Malfoy was almost trembling from rage, but he took a deep breath and turned his back on Hermione. He flipped open his book and suddenly lunged backwards, it was now his head that was attached to the shelf. A large, slimy hand with sharp nails had suddenly flung out of the book and lodged itself into a comfortable death grip on Malfoy. Hermione let out a small scream and jumped back. Panicking, she tried to pull the hand off Malfoy, but noticed that she was also pulling Malfoy’s head as she did so. She let go and took a second to calm down. Then she pulled out her wand and pointed it at the book, “Finite Incantatum!” The hand released its grip and disappeared. Malfoy dropped instantly to the floor. Hermione rushed over to him and saw red marks where the hand had been, and blood dripping down Malfoy’s neck. She reached down to see if he was alright when his eyes flashed open.

“Don’t touch me Mudblood!” He scowled at Hermione.

“I just saved your life you ungrateful git!” Hermione was beyond pissed off now.

“I didn’t ask you to! I could have dealt with it myself!” Malfoy didn’t want to believe that he owed his life to a Mudblood.

“Fine. I’ll make a mental note so that next time I see you being choked to death I’ll know to just stand there and watch. That shouldn’t be hard to remember though, because I could very well be the next person choking you.” She finished coldly and spun around, heading for the exit of the library. She paused for a second, not wanting to leave because she hadn’t really looked at the books yet, but she didn’t want to stay either. She could probably come back tomorrow with Harry anyway.

Malfoy sat with his back leaning against the first Dark Arts shelf in the library. His neck was throbbing with pain, and he could feel tiny slivers of blood run down his neck and onto his robes. His eyes were shut tight. He kept replaying the scene in his head hoping that somehow Hermione would disappear from it and he had saved himself. Anger, confusion, and a slight amount of relief filled him. His chest was burning from the anger at the thought that a Mudblood thought he needed her help. His head ached with confusion as to why Hermione: His Enemy would save him, and in his throat there was a little air of relief that he could still breathe. Malfoy tried to push all the thoughts out of his head, but now all he could think of was the fact that he owed his life to Hermione Granger. He angrily punched the floor, sending sharp blocks of pain through his hand up to his arm which all collided in his shoulder. He ignored the pain and continued to think silently to himself. But it was only after a few minutes when someone interrupted his thoughts.

“Draco? Draco!!! Are you okay? What happened?” Annoyed that he was being disturbed, he opened his eyes and coldly stared at Pansy Parkinson.

“I thought I already got rid of you. What are you doing here?” Malfoy was in no mood to talk to Pansy.

“Draco, you’re bleeding…I think…” Pansy was cut off.

“You think you should go back to the dormitory and leave me alone! Honestly Pansy, I can take care of myself, now go!” Malfoy pointed at the doors, but Pansy didn’t move.

“Oh Draco, I know you’re mad at me about earlier, I’m really sorry. But don’t do this! Please forgive me!” Pansy put on her innocent face, which just made Malfoy angrier.

“GET OUT OF MY FACE! You know what? If you’re not going to go, I will.” Malfoy shot up onto his feet and stomped out of the library. He headed towards the end of the hall, hoping to get a breath of fresh air outside, but once he reached the Entrance Hall, he saw Hermione. He froze for a second, but then continued down the stairs.

“Where’s Weasel and Pothead, Granger? Did they finally realize what a disgustingly pathetic excuse for a witch you really are and leave?” Malfoy was determined to pretend that nothing had happened in the library. Hermione looked up and gave Malfoy the death glare. Malfoy laughed sinisterly, “Ooooh, she’s giving me the eye; I’m shaking in my pants now!”

Hermione considered just walking off, but then she saw something that was too valuable to pass up. “You know what Malfoy? “

“What?” Malfoy was smiling so insanely it should be illegal.

“X.Y.Z.” Hermione was grinning broadly.

“What?!” Malfoy’s sinister smile disappeared.

“X. Y. Z.” She paused for a moment, then concluded that Malfoy had no idea what X.Y.Z. stood for in the muggle world. “It means examine your zippers you idiot.”

“What are you talking…” Malfoy dropped his head down faster than a bullet and looked at his pants. Hermione could see his ears go red, which looked weird because Malfoy’s skin was very pale. She stood there enjoying the moment, until Malfoy looked up again with a smirk.

“Well, well, well. I never thought you’d be the kind to look there Granger. I guess I was wrong.” Malfoy’s smirk widened to the point that it looked like his face was on the smirk. Hermione’s face involuntarily turned pink.

“Don’t think too much into it Malfoy. Even if I did purposely look there, it’d only be to see if you had one.” Hermione smiled and walked away at that, and she thought she felt a wave of heat coming from where Malfoy was standing.

Hermione went back to the hospital wing later and told Harry all about what happened, and Harry laughed so hard his deep stag voice went three octaves higher. He told her that he’d be out of the hospital by tomorrow, and that he’d go to the convention with her. Hermione smiled and told Harry goodnight before heading back to Gryffindor Tower.

As she climbed through the portrait hole, she was surprised at what she saw. Ron was standing almost nervously in the middle of the common room and ran over to Hermione once he saw her.

“Ron? What are you doing here? I thought you were going to go to Diagon Alley for the weekend.”

“Well, yeah, I’ve been and now I’m back. Listen, Hermione, where’s Harry?” Ron’s voice was quiet and almost secretive.

“He’s still in the hospital wing, thanks to you,” Hermione responded jokingly.

Ron let out a little smile.

“What’s up? Why are you back early?”

“Maybe we should sit down.” Ron made a gesture towards their chairs by the fireplace. Hermione led the way and flopped down on her chair. Ron sat down across from her and motioned Hermione to lean in.

“When I got to Fred and George’s shop, they told me to come back right away. I asked them why, and they were hesitant to tell me at first, but eventually I got them to spill. Remember last year when Harry and Dumbledore killed Voldemort?” Ron paused for a moment, he still wasn’t used to saying the Dark Lord’s name. Hermione looked at him intently and nodded slowly, not liking where the conversation was headed. “Well, during the second to last battle, we knew that Voldemort was already near death right? I mean that’s why Dumbledore went to find and attack him. It turns out that Voldemort himself was also aware, and he created a spell to make an exact duplicate of himself; the duplicate would have all his abilities and look exactly like him except this duplicate only lasts for a short while. Harry and Dumbledore probably burst in a little while after he created his duplicate, and killed it, thinking it was Voldemort. I know it sounds impossible and stupid, but Hermione it’s true. Spells are hard to invent, but a man with Voldemort’s power could do it if he really needed it.” Hermione furrowed her eyebrows.

“What makes you think he made a clone? I’m not saying that I don’t believe you, but Harry said he saw Voldemort die and reduce to ashes with his own eyes. I mean, they DID use one of the most powerful spells on earth to kill him. Not only that, but they did it together…and even though no spell has ever made someone to turn to ashes, their combined powers are bound to double the effects of the spell and cause what happened.” Hermione finished, now trying to convince herself of what she was saying.

“Hermione, the surviving death eaters have been extra rowdy in the new prison lately. There have been reports of one of them saying, “HE WILL COME BACK FOR US SOON.” And that’s not all. People are disappearing again. Important people. Ministry workers.” Ron stopped, and took in a deep breath. “Hermione,” Ron paused again before continuing. “My dad is one of those people.” Hermione’s jaw dropped, but she immediately closed it. Ron looked down at his hands and tried to stop himself from crying, but to no avail. Hermione got up and knelt down beside him. She gently stroked his back. He quickly wiped the tears off his face and looked up at her. She gave him a warm smile.

“He’s going to be okay Ron. We’re not even sure why he’s gone. Everything’s going to be okay.” Hermione bent in and hugged him. Ron rested his head on her shoulder and hugged her back, whispering thanks. They let go after a while and each went back to their rooms. Hermione laid awake on her bed all night thinking about what Ron had told her. Is Voldemort really still alive? There hasn’t been any real proof yet. The death eaters were probably just trying to scare the guards. But what about the missing people? What about Ron’s dad? Hermione let out a sigh. She suddenly wished the only thing she had to worry about was seeing Malfoy again. She finally closed her eyes and fell asleep.
For the Greater Good by Humansitis
Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap. Tap.

Draco pulled open his left eye and glared at his wand. He had set his wand to go off at 5:00 AM. (Which was earlier than the usual 6:00 AM). He groaned and thought silently to himself.

It’s Saturday…I don’t want to get up…five more minutes...

But just before he was ready to shut his eye, Malfoy saw the words “Hermione Granger” flash brightly above his bed. This caused Draco to shoot up immediately; then, as if watching a video, he remembered what had happened at the library yesterday. Malfoy sighed loudly and threw his blanket off. There’s no way he could go back to sleep now. He looked around the room. Crabbe was snoring peacefully on his bed while Goyle was drooling onto his pillow.

Dimwit must be dreaming about food again, Malfoy thought.

He reached out his arm and snatched his wand out of the air and gripped it tightly as if strangling it for reminding him that a Mudblood had saved his life. And not just any Mudblood, but the filthy, annoying, loathsome sidekick of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger. Lucius Malfoy had always taught his son that if he should ever be stupid enough to need someone to save his life, he would owe his life to his savior. Malfoy thought hard about this for a while.

Father has always been right about everything, but maybe this is an exception.

He fumbled through his drawers and pulled out a fresh set of clothes and headed off to the Prefects’ bathroom.

Yes, he must be wrong about this situation. I mean, how could I possibly even want to thank that Mudblood for saving me or for anything else for that matter. She’s absolutely repulsing! Plus, it’s not like I asked her to.

He stopped in front of the portrait and said “Rubber Ducky.” The portrait immediately swung open. “Absolutely disgusting,” Malfoy muttered to himself, referring to the fact that the password was Muggle originated. When he stepped inside he was surprised to see robes already hanging on the wall and water running in one of the little rooms.

Who else is up this early?

Malfoy’s question was answered when he saw a pair of round glasses sitting neatly on the marble counter next to the robes.

Potter? What’s he doing here at this hour? In fact, what the hell is he doing here, period! He’s not a prefect or head boy. Weasley must have told him the password-defeats the damn purpose of it!

Draco walked over to the robes rack and started to strip down to his fluffy blue bunny boxers. While he hung up his robes, he accidentally knocked something out of Harry’s left pocket. Draco knelt down and saw a pink envelope with the name “Gin” on it. He was about to reach down and pick it up when a deep voice came from behind him. “What do you think you’re doing?”

Draco’s head spun around as he jumped from surprise. He looked at Harry, whose hair was flat for once due to the weight of the water dripping off of it. “What do you think I’m doing? Dancing in the bathroom?” Draco replied sarcastically, and stood up tall. He had a finely built body, but wasn’t as tall as Harry. Harry ignored Draco’s comment and looked down on the floor where Draco was. He felt himself go red. Draco grinned maliciously. “Love letter from Weasley, Potter?” He bent down and picked up the envelope, waving it tauntingly at Harry.

“Give it back Malfoy,” Harry threatened out of his clenched teeth.

“No, no. I don’t think so, Potter. Come and get it if you want…” But Draco never finished that sentence because Harry was already on top of him wrestling the letter out of his grip. It wasn’t long before Harry stood up victoriously with the envelope tucked safely in his robes. There was no way Malfoy stood a chance against Harry, he was simply too small. Harry was reaching six feet (Ron was six feet, three inches), but Malfoy was only five feet, nine inches at the most.

Satisfied, Harry grabbed his dirty robes and glasses and headed out of the bathroom. Malfoy remained on the ground for a while. His whole body ached.

Damn it. Potter needs to lose some weight. He smiled to himself for his clever thought. Then he got up and headed into a shower stall.

Harry climbed lazily through the portrait hole. He looked up at the clock above the fireplace. It read FIVE THIRTY IN THE MORNING. Then it had a bird flying around with a worm between its tiny beak. Today was Saturday, no one was going to be up for another three hours. He sighed and headed for the dormitories, but something shuffled on the couch and startled him. He fumbled around in his robes only to realize that he had forgotten his wand at the hospital wing. But then a little red head popped around the chair and he relaxed.

“Ginny! What are you doing here?” Harry mused aloud.

“Madam Pomfrey told me you’d be free to go this morning! I didn’t know she meant this early!”

Harry grinned. “Actually, I snuck out so I could wash all those stag hairs off. They were tickling me.” Ginny giggled and got out of the chair. She walked over to Harry and gave him a warm welcome back hug.

“I like how you smell of soap and fruity shampoo,” she commented.

“Well, I did just take a shower,” Harry responded playfully. She smiled.

“Wanna go get breakfast since we’re already up anyway?”

Harry nodded happily, this would be the first time since three meals that he’s going to have human food. “Oh, and, um, I probably should go back to the hospital wing afterwards and pretend I never got out of bed. Plus, I left my wand there.” Ginny agreed and they headed off to have breakfast.

Hermione opened her baby brown eyes to a bright Saturday morning.

Hmm…what time is it?

She flipped around and looked at her clock. Six AM. She turned her head back onto her pillow and lay still on her bed. A feeling of angst was slowly spreading through her body. She focused on the feeling trying to remember what put it there. Then she recalled the conversation with Ron last night. She sighed loudly.

Just when I thought this year would be danger free. Why do these things keep happening to us? Thanks to Voldemort, Ron, Harry, and myself have been in near death experiences at least once every year since Hogwarts began. And last year, he was supposed to have been defeated.

She sighed again then got out of her warm, soft bed and went downstairs. Nobody was in the common room yet. It was a cold December morning. Finals are just starting to creep into the students minds, but Hermione had already started studying. (And was just planning on making Harry and Ron start too.) Being number one and Head Girl of Hogwarts was something she was very proud of, and planned on continuing. This year she devised a better schedule for Harry and Ron that would allow them more free time; of course it required them to wake up earlier than everyone one else (on the planet), but if they wanted to play during the day, it was the only way. She climbed out of the portrait hole and headed for the Great Hall. Much to her surprise, she bumped into Ginny and Harry who said that they had just finished breakfast and were going back to the hospital wing. Her part of the conversation consisted of a good morning, a nod, and a good bye, then they went their separate ways. She always knew Harry and Ginny liked each other. It didn’t seem obvious when Ginny had that cute but oh so annoying crush on Harry when she was ten, but now the tension between them was so obvious that a blind person would be able to tell. Hermione finally reached the Great Hall and opened the door to find an unpleasant surprise. There was only one table set out for students because it was so early in the morning (not to mention a Saturday) and there was only one person presently occupying the table.

Maybe this is why Harry and Ginny rushed off so fast. Hermione thought to herself. I was wondering why they didn’t just stay and here and enjoy their privacy.

Hermione thought of turning and leaving, but then the cold, emotionless gray eyes that belonged to the boy sitting at the table caught her own.

Draco went to the Great Hall after his shower for a little breakfast, and then planned on heading to the Quidditch field to practice for the match against Ravenclaw next week. Though what he didn’t plan on was having to sit with Potty and his girlfriend through half of breakfast. He almost lost his appetite watching them flirt badly. All they did was give each other funny looks then break out laughing.

Honestly! I’ve never seen such inept people when it comes to flirting.

Draco felt he could sweep any girl off her feet as long as if he tried. It was probably true. He wasn’t hideous, but he was tall, well built, and very smart, but he preferred to keep that mum so his bad boy reputation wouldn’t be ruined. He treated his friends well and was unfalteringly loyal to those he loved (which didn’t include many people, but that’s what made it all the more special). Draco was much relieved when Harry and Ginny finally left. He hadn’t touched his plate while they were there, and now he could finally eat in peace. That is…pick up his fork in peace, because two minutes after Harry and Ginny walked out, someone else came in. The person who came in made Draco wish he were still observing Potter and Weasley. He looked up coldly and glared into the eyes of Hermione Granger. He thought he saw her shiver at his glare.

Good. She should be afraid of me.

He kept his eyes locked on hers for at least three minutes. There was definitely hatred in the air.
“You gonna stand there all day, Mudblood?” He drawled. Then he looked back down at his plate.

Okay. Now I’ve really lost my appetite.

Draco threw down his fork so that it clattered loudly with his plate and echoed through the hall. Then he got up out of his chair and walked towards the door so that he was half a foot away from Hermione’s face.

“There. I’ve lost my appetite. Happy now? You can go eat.” Draco finished with a nasty tone and walked around Hermione and left the room.

Hermione stood in the doorway feeling angry and disgusted for a few more minutes after Draco had left. He was so close to her she felt his breath as he talked. The touch of his words on her skin sent goosebumps up and down her spine.

Sheesh. That boy has got to be the most unpleasant man on earth. I should be mad at him, not the other way around, that arrogant, insufferable git. He should be on his knees thanking me for saving his life. Hermione smiled to herself when she pictured Draco Malfoy at her feet. Ahhh. One can dream.

She walked to the newly empty table, sat down, and ate her breakfast silently.

Saturday passed by much like the rest of December; not much happened, but the days still flew by before they knew it. The finals came and went; Hermione got top marks, as always, and Ron and Harry got just enough to avoid being called The Village Idiots. No word of Voldemort had been mentioned since the disappearance of the Ministry workers, and with such limited information there wasn’t much the trio could do. Winter break was finally here. Ron and Ginny were going to Romania to visit Charlie and meet up with Bill; a good family reunion was much needed, with their father missing and all. Harry and Hermione were asked to go, but they decided to stay at school; they felt it would be awkward if they tagged along during such a difficult time for the Weasley family. What made the matter worse was that Percy refused to talk to them, and stuck with the Ministry on everything they said. As if the last time Voldemort came back wasn’t enough proof that Dumbledore and Harry should be trusted, the Ministry once again labeled everyone who sided with Dumbledore a “traitor” and “liar”. Despite the Ministry’s attempt to discredit Dumbledore and his word, the wizarding community learned from the past and ignored the Daily Prophet’s lies. If one word could describe the magical world right now, it would most definitely be “chaos”. People who believed Voldemort was back had no idea what to do and how to protect themselves. The only thing they knew to do for sure was to stay away from the Death Eaters that were exposed two years ago. This, of course, included the Malfoy family. Draco Malfoy wasn’t much affected by what was going on outside of Hogwarts because no one dared to confront him about where his family’s loyalty laid. Draco was going home for winter; he always loved winter vacation, but little did he know that this one was going to be different from the rest, and this little innocent trip home was going to forever change him.


“MUM!” Draco ran through the Malfoy manor, dropping all his bags at the foot of the door. “Mum! I’m home!” Draco ran upstairs and headed towards Narcissa’s bedroom. Before he had the chance to knock, he heard shouting come from inside.

“…he’s too young Lucius!” Draco heard his mother cry.

“The Dark Lord wants him NOW! I don’t care if he’s not out of Hogwarts yet, he’s good and capable how he is!” Lucius’s voice was cold, as it often was when he was arguing with his wife about his son.

“If Dumbledore finds out…think of the danger it will put Draco in! Think of the danger it will put all of us in! Please, Lucius! Be reasonable!”

“Dumbledore? You’re worried about Dumbledore? That old imbecile can’t do a thing to us! He wouldn’t do a thing! He’s always known about us, and he’s done nothing! There’s no reason to fear that man! Narcissa, think about this. If Draco joins us now he could very well become one of the Dark Lord’s most prestigious followers! He could make us prouder than we can ever imagine. Don’t you want that? Don’t you want Draco to be the Dark Lord’s most loyal man?”

“Of course I want the best for Draco, Lucius. But you’re not thinking clearly! He’s only a boy. The things the Dark Lord requires already gets full grown wizards killed, what makes you think Draco will even live through the first mission?”

“You underestimate our boy Narcissa! You always have! And allowing you to keep him at Hogwarts and not go to Durmstrang was one of the biggest mistakes I have ever made. I have made my decision and it is final! You WILL obey!”

“NO LUCIUS! I do everything you tell me to, but when it comes to our son, I can’t let you…look at what happened to Willem! He died because of your obsession with the Dark Lord! He was only five Lucius! He was ONLY FIVE! Draco never even knew his brother. And that was your fault Lucius! THAT WAS YOUR FAULT! I’m not losing another son because of this. I can’t let you…” But Draco never found out what his mother wouldn’t let Lucius do, because at that moment he heard a loud smack and then heard something heavy drop cold onto the floor. Draco panicked and shoved open the oak door. His eyes widened at the sight. His father was standing over his mother with his wand out, and his mother was lying defenseless and motionless on the floor. Draco saw a pool of blood next to his mother’s head where she must have hit the edge of the table. Draco ran forward as fast as he could.

“MUM! MUM!” He dropped down next to his mother’s lifeless body. “Mother! Are you alright? Wake up mom, wake up!!” Warm tears streamed continually down his face. He held his mother protectively in his lap, drenching his robes with her blood. He cradled her for a few moments then looked icily up at his father. “YOU BASTARD! You killed my mother!” Draco stood up in his spot and drew his wand. He and his father were now face to face, each armed and ready to fight.

“You don’t know what you’re doing Draco. She was in the way. Anyone in the way of the Dark Lord needs to be removed. Remember that Draco. If someone won’t get out of your way, you have to eliminate them yourself. The death of your mother is tragic, but trust me son, it was for the greater good.” Not half a second after Lucius had finished talking, Draco screamed out of rage and agony and petrified his father on the spot. He dropped to his knees and buried his face in his trembling, bloodied hands, unable to stop himself from crying.

Draco woke up the next day sprawled on the floor of his mother’s room. The events of last night quickly returned to haunt him. He sat up and looked at his stunned father and his dead mother. He wanted to kill his father right then and there, but he couldn’t. Draco had never truly hurt or killed anyone in his whole life. He was always all talk and no walk to back it up; he had Crabbe and Goyle to do all his dirty work, which even then only consisted of beating kids up. He got up slowly and walked over to his mother. He bent down and gently pushed her golden blonde hair out of her face. He kissed her on the forehead and held back his tears.
Come on, Draco. Don’t cry. Don’t be such a baby. You’re stronger than this.

He stood back up, took off his outer robe, and covered his mother with it. Then he turned around and left the room, determined that from that moment forward he would no longer be a Malfoy.

Draco rummaged through his closet and pulled out some fresh, clean, black robes and threw them all into his Duffel Unlimited, along with his private stash of Galleons. The Duffel Unlimited could carry literally everything and still weigh its original 5 pounds. It was also waterproof, fire proof, hex proof, and rip proof. Being a Malfoy, it was normal for Draco to have these state of the art gadgets. After he finished gathering all his necessities, Draco took his Firebolt 2004 and flew away from the Malfoy manor for the last time in his life.

Draco made a pit stop at Diagon Alley so he could empty his Gringotts account. One thing Draco liked about goblins was that they never asked questions. When they led him to his vault, Draco was shocked at what he saw. He always knew that his parents kept an account just for him, but he never expected there to be so much money. It also seemed that once his mother died he automatically received the money that was left to him in her will. Draco stuttered for a second then asked his attendant, “How…How much is there?”

The goblin grunted and pulled out a sheet of official looking parchment, “It says that there was a total of 48 million Galleons, but yesterday it seems a magical will was activated by that of Narcissa Black Malfoy and you received another 100 million Galleons, totaling to 148 million Galleons in your account Master Malfoy.”

Draco cringed at being called a Malfoy. He’d have to change his identity and create a new account because there was no way he was going to carry around 148 million Galleons, even if his Duffel Unlimited could.

It took most of the afternoon, but Draco finally got everything settled and now he had his account separated from his father’s. He had decided that his last name would now be Passus. He wasn’t sure how he came up with that, but he liked it.

Draco Passus. Hey, if the Dark Lord can change his name, so can I. Draco smiled for the first time since he left Hogwarts.

Hermione and Harry were outside by the lake enjoying the snow and watching the Giant Squid when they saw him. Hermione saw a man walking towards them. At first there was only a black smudge in the white background, but as he came closer, she recognized the platinum blond hair and the gray blue eyes that belonged to none other than Draco Malfoy. Her heart dropped.

Great. What is Malfoy doing here? Shouldn’t he be home being spoiled?

Hermione watched as Draco slowly made his way towards them in the thick snow, but to her surprise, he didn’t say anything when he passed them; in fact, he didn’t even seem to notice them. A big black bag clung to his back with a single strap that stretched from his right shoulder to the bottom left of his waist. In his left hand he held his Firebolt, and on his face…she couldn’t put her finger on what was different about him, but whatever it was, it was written in code on his face. Harry was also watching, but unlike Hermione, he was determined to see what Malfoy was up to.

“Hey Malfoy!” Harry shouted.

Draco stopped in his tracks. It seemed to take him three seconds to process the fact that someone was calling him, and then he turned around. He looked at Harry with no particular expression, and sighed before he replied, ”Passus.”

“What?!” Harry retorted, thinking Draco was cursing him in some unknown language.

“Passus. I’m not Malfoy. My name is Passus.” Draco said patiently.

Harry stared at him in awe. Then he cracked up and fell onto the ground laughing. Between his howling he told Hermione, “HE’SahahahhaGonehahahahhaComhahahahahCompletelyhahahhaInsane!”

Hermione giggled and gave Malfoy, or Passus, a confused look. Draco looked right back at her, as he had done many times before, but this time, she felt different. Hermione couldn’t explain it, but the look Draco gave her made her a little weak, as if he were seeing right through her. She tilted her head and narrowed her eyebrows.

“So…Passus…” Hermione paused to keep herself from laughing. “What are you doing here?”

Draco shifted uncomfortably in the freezing snow. It was true that he had decided to go against everything his father had taught him, which included hating Mudbloods, but being nice to Hermione was much harder than he imagined it to be. After six years of rivalry it was impossible for Draco to just wake up and look at Potter, Weasley, and Granger in a new light. He chose his words carefully when he spoke, “It’s none of your business…Granger.” He gave his bag a little pull so he could stand up taller. When Hermione didn’t reply, he took the silence as his cue to go. He returned to his path towards the school, leaving Hermione and Harry staring at him in confusion.

“So what do you think is up with him?” Harry asked once Draco disappeared through the door.

“I don’t know. But he seems…different.” Harry recognized the thoughtful tone in Hermione’s voice as the one she got when she was dreaming big (S.P.E.W. for example), and it scared him.

“Different? Yeah, he’s definitely different. He’s probably the newest patient at St. Mungo’s right now!” Harry returned to his laughing, and this time Hermione joined in.


Draco plopped down on his leather chair in the deserted Slytherin common room. He let out a long exasperated sigh. He hadn’t really thought about how hard it would be to reform himself, especially in the presence of his enemies. And despite how much he wanted to leave his former self in the past, he couldn’t. When he saw Harry and Hermione today, it seemed that his desire to change just disappeared; he suddenly felt that it was okay to continue his air of superiority over them, but now that they were out of his sight…he wasn’t sure how he felt. Draco let out a cry of frustration and forcefully brought his fists to his face, then started rubbing his face as if he were washing it. He stopped rubbing when his pale face turned red. Draco got out of his chair and looked around the cold, green room. Not many Slytherins chose to stay behind during breaks; only one first year and two third years remained, so Draco basically had the tower all to himself. He wanted to go somewhere though, and not knowing where exactly he was headed, Draco crawled out of the Slytherin portrait hole.

Harry and Hermione played in the snow until the last ray of warm golden sunlight left the Hogwarts grounds. They had built a snowman dressed up as Dumbledore. They put a wizard’s hat on the head and used two good sized marbles for the eyes. Then they use a twig to draw in the glasses and stuck the twig into the face for the nose when they were done. Hermione shrank the twig magically so that the Dumbledore snowman didn’t end up looking like Pinocchio. Then they wrapped a cloak around him and stood back to admire their work. They were probably the only two people who would be able to tell that the snowman was supposed to be Dumbledore, but that was okay.

Once they stepped into the castle they let the warm air wash comfortably over them. They went back to the Gryffindor tower to change into dry clothes and then decided to go eat. It was Christmas eve, and as always, decorations were being put up in the Great Hall for the big feast the next day. After dinner, Hermione decided to stay behind and help with the decorations while Harry was performing his weekly broom maintenance. She was hooking on a magical ornament with a fairy trapped inside when Draco strolled into the Great Hall. It was ten minutes before dinner time ended, and Draco made full use of those ten minutes. Hermione watched half in awe and half in disgust. Draco ate like he hadn’t eaten in a week and barely finished when the food disappeared. He suddenly looked up and caught Hermione staring at him. He wiped off his mouth and headed towards her. Hermione stood completely still, unknowing of what she should do.

“What are you doing here Granger? You’re not stalking me are you?” Draco sneered, but not a second after, he scolded himself for looking down on her again.

Hermione scoffed at the idea, “Why would I want to stalk a pig like you? Honestly, I’d rather watch Crabbe and Goyle dance a recital than waste my time spying on you.”

To Hermione’s great surprise, Draco smiled. What was even weirder was that this was a smile she had never seen, it wasn’t evil or scheming, but instead, it was rather genuine. It made her kind of dizzy, especially if she looked into his cool gray eyes.

“You’d be surprised how graceful those two are despite their size,” Draco replied. He let himself get lost in the thought before he refocused his eyes on Hermione. “You know, we don’t always have to fight. I’d like it if we didn’t fight so much. At first, it was entertaining, but now it’s getting repetitive and boring, and you’re always getting the last word, and I don’t like that, but…” Draco paused. He just realized that he was rambling. This was probably the first time in his life that he spoke long enough about nice things to ramble. He refocused his thoughts and decided to get straight to the point, “…but the thing is, I’ll try and not be such an ass if you do too.”

Hermione stared at Draco with her mouth open. She didn’t know whether to laugh or to cry. Maybe she was dreaming...she bit her lip hard and yelped right after. Draco jumped back and looked at her as if she suddenly sprouted an extra head. Hermione decided to speak before she lost the chance, “Why are you doing this Malfoy?””“It’s Passus””“Okay, “Passus”, why are you doing this? What are you trying to get at? Because if you think this act is going to work on us, it’s not. And stop being so nice, it’s kind of eerie.” Unlike Draco, Hermione had no reason to start accepting her enemy, and she didn’t plan to anytime soon either. Draco expected a reaction somewhat like that, so he didn’t look too bummed.

“Look Hermione, this isn’t an act. I honestly want to change, and keeping you guys as enemies will make it very hard. I figured that since you think I’m “evil”, “obnoxious”, “repulsive”, “heartless” and many other flattering words, it’d be a good place to start.” Draco paused, waiting for Hermione’s answer.

Dammit. I hate being a good guy. Would she hurry up and say something? Draco suddenly realized that he actually cared about Hermione’s response, and he wanted her to accept him. He stuck his hands into his pockets to keep himself from grabbing her and shaking the answer out of her mouth. It seemed like a year before Hermione was able to clamp her mouth shut from the shock and start talking, but she did…and now…she was ready to tell Draco exactly what she thought of him…
The Inciting Moment by Humansitis
Hermione shifted her weight onto her left side.

Can this be real? Malfoy is actually trying to be humane. No…What is he up to?! Why is it that one moment he’s his old self and the next he’s trying to be my new best friend? And did he just call me by my first name?! Hermione let out a sigh. Well, since I don’t know what to say, I might as well tell him the truth.

“Look, Malf-Passus, I don’t like you. I never liked you and I never will. Okay? It’s just there’s no way we can become friends after what’s happened the past seven years. There’s no way! And you should know that too. I mean, you tried to get us killed once! It’s…”

Malfoy cut her off, “Forget it. I don’t know why I said anything.” Having heard all he needed to hear, Malfoy swung around and left the Great Hall, leaving Hermione to herself, watching him go with confusion.

I can’t believe this! Draco thought as he strode his way back to the Slytherin Dungeon. She rejected me! She didn’t even think about it! Why can’t she accept that I want to change? She has to go on about “you’re evil and you tried to kill us”…which really, I didn’t, I just helped someone else try to get them killed. Forget it. Screw this plan, I might as well stay the way I am, hell, it’s never hurt me. Why should I go out on a limb to be nice to them if they’re just going to make my life harder?

Draco nodded to himself, finally coming to a decision as to what he was going to do.

Hermione was still standing alone in the middle of the Great Hall, but she didn’t care. He actually looked hurt. Oh God. What did I do? What if…Could he really want to change though? Why would he suddenly want to change? This is so confusing. And why do I feel bad for hurting him? He’s caused us ten times the pain we ever caused him, he deserves it. Hermione paused her thoughts for a second. No, even if he was an evil git, he still deserves a second chance. What am I going to do?!

Three feet away from the Slytherin portrait hole, Draco suddenly didn’t feel like returning to the dungeons. He climbed back up the stairs and returned to the entrance hall. Letting his feet carry him, he had no idea where he was going to now.

After seven flights of stairs and a bit of wandering, Draco saw exactly what he needed. He remembered their fifth year of Hogwarts, when Harry created “Dumbledore’s Army”, where they would learn Defense Against the Dark Arts. Draco also remembered catching them in the act in this room that didn’t exist. But he was sure it was here, in this blank area across from the tapestry of Barnabas the Barmy.

Now how does this work? Draco walked straight to the wall and felt it. Hmmm…it’s solid. How do I get the room to appear? What’s this called…the…that’s right. The Room of Requirement. What did I hear them say about it? Think Draco, think.

While Draco thought hard about how to call forth a room, he paced back and forth, and before he knew it he was thinking about a nice place to relax and throw off some stress. Little did he realize that this was exactly how to call forth The Room of Requirement. On his fifth lap back and forth, Draco finally saw that the room had appeared. Huh. Weird. How did I do that?
He reached out his arm and opened the room. Inside, there were two welcoming couches, a soft and fluffy bed, a table with food on it, and a punching bag at the end.

Draco grinned. Exactly what I needed.

Hermione finished with the decorations and returned to Gryffindor Tower while Harry was adding on finishing touches to his Firebolt.

“Hey Herm! What took you so long?”

“Stop calling me Herm, Harry! It makes me sound like I’m a hermit,” Hermione replied. She debated whether or not to tell Harry about what happened between her and Draco.

Harry raised an eyebrow. “Well you are, aren’t you?”

He laughed at Hermione’s angry expression.

“You know what? I’m going to start being nice to Passus just to spite you,” Hermione retorted playfully, but obviously Harry didn’t take it as a joke.

“Passus? MALFOY? Are you feeling okay Hermione? Are we talking about the same devil? That evil prat who tried to get Hagrid fired, us in trouble, and Dumbledore sacked? What has gotten into you?”
He stood up and walked over to her so that he was looking slightly down on her. Hermione hated when he did that, it made her feel so small; she was only five feet five inches. Harry put his hands firmly on both her shoulders and held her at arms length; his bright green eyes searched her honey brown ones. Hermione raised her arms and brushed his hands off her, she didn’t feel like being pried open right now. Harry frowned.

“Look Harry, Malfoy has changed. Whether I want to admit it or not. He’s actually trying to be good now!” Hermione threw her hands up in the air to emphasize what she was saying.

Harry shook his head, “You’re falling into one of his traps and you know it. Why are you letting this happen to yourself? Do something about it Hermione! Malfoy will never change. Trust me.”

“How do you know?” she almost shouted back.

Harry stood in awe. She can’t possibly…Why is she arguing with me about this?

“Do you like him?” he asked.

Hermione stiffened at the question and didn’t reply.

“Hermione! I’m asking you a simple question. Do you like Draco Malfoy?!” Harry repeated.

“No.”

Her answer was soft and barely audible. “No, I hate Draco Malfoy.”

Harry let out a relieved sigh. “Then why are we arguing about this?”

“Because the man we’re talking about is no longer Draco Malfoy. Haven’t you ever wondered why he decided to change his name? Maybe he doesn’t want to be a Malfoy anymore! He wants to reform Harry, we have to accept it, or we might do him worse.”

“I can’t believe this.” Harry shook his head in disbelief. “You’re standing up for our enemy! You’re standing up for the man who’s called you Mudblood and mistreated you for seven years!”

“He’s never actually done anything to directly cause me pain.”

“So what! As long as if he had part in anything that almost got us in trouble, he’s to blame!”

Harry was red with anger and exhausted from all the arguing by now. “You know what? If you can’t see what’s really there, then forget it. You go be his friend, but you can’t be mine at the same time!” Harry left it at that and stormed up to his dormitory.

Hermione numbly fell onto a chair. I can’t believe this. Harry’s making me choose between being friends with him and helping Draco change…what kind of a real friend does that?!

Hermione stood up and walked out of the common room. She thought about going to the library but decided that for once, she wasn’t in the mood to read. She blindly walked through the school, climbing some stairs, turning at random points, and before she knew it, she was where the Room of Requirement was. That’s weird. There’s a door there…is someone inside?

Hermione edged closer to the room but stopped before she opened the door. Wait, what if someone happened to summon it because they needed a restroom? She thought about it for a while, but then decided that she didn’t care; she was curious to find out who was in there. She opened the door and immediately regretted it.

Draco was standing in the middle of the room with nothing but a white towel on. She noticed that he had a really nice body. From the steaminess of the room Hermione assumed that he had just taken a shower. Her face turned scarlet when he caught her staring at him. Draco jumped back out of shock, then he looked down at his nakedness.

“Granger! What are you doing here?!” Draco shouted, tightening the white towel around his firm waist. “You could have seen something!”

Hermione’s blush deepened and she immediately looked away. Oh my god! This is SOOO embarrassing. I didn’t think there’d actually be someone naked in here! Least of all Malfoy!!

“Turn around!” Draco demanded.

Hermione obeyed. She wanted to run out of the door right now, but something kept her feet glued to the ground.

“So what are you doing here?” Draco asked, picking his clothes up from one of the couches.

Hermione wasn’t sure how to reply at first, but she felt that after what had just happened, Draco deserved an answer, “I was just looking for a place with some privacy.”

“Why didn’t you go to the library?”

“I didn’t feel like it.”

She heard the towel drop to the ground as she responded.

“Why did you come here, of all places?” Draco asked, his voice muffled by his clothes

“I don’t know. I just ended up here and I saw that there was a door, and I was curious.”

A hand landed on her right shoulder and spun her around while another hand caught her before she did a full 360. Before she knew it, she was less than half a foot away from Draco’s face.

In a small whisper, Draco said, “Bet you didn’t expect this, did you?”

Goosebumps spread all over her body as his warm breath touched her face. She was afraid that her knees might fail her if he spoke in that voice again. She shook her head dumbly.

Draco let go of her and straightened his body. He looked at Hermione with great interest. Now that she’d seen more of him than any other girl had, he looked at her in a new light. Her hair was shiny and full of volume while her skin was soft and touchable.

Before he knew it, his hand was cupping her face, feeling its pleasant texture. He looked into her warm cinnamon eyes, and then let his eyes slide down her body. She had grown a lot in the past seven years; he just never cared to observe. The only time that she ever caught his eye sexually was during the Yule Ball. Hmmm, she was very pretty. Draco thought. But now, she was even prettier, if that was possible. Draco returned his eyes to hers, which were now closed, and out of a sudden impulse, Draco bent in and gently pulled her face towards his…

Hermione’s blush never went away. Draco was just staring at her! She had no idea what to do. Nobody had ever made her feel like this before; she wanted to stay but at the same time, she wanted run fast and far away. Her stomach was doing back flips and her head was suddenly blank. She felt his eyes move down her body and wanted to turn so he couldn’t look, but once again, her muscles didn’t obey. His soft hand found her face; she liked his touch, it was very gentle. She closed her eyes and let out a little sigh. Before she could open them, she felt Draco’s hand pull her towards him, and then she felt his lips lock comfortably onto hers.

Hermione did nothing to stop Draco, and before she knew it, she was kissing him back. Her hands wrapped themselves around his neck and then they traveled down onto his back. His shoulder blades were very muscular and he had no fat anywhere, his body was almost rock hard. She felt his hand come in contact of her waist and let it tug her even closer to him.

Her chest was now right up against his. She could feel his heart, and to her surprise, it was beating pretty fast. His other hand slid from her face through her hair. After a few minutes, he started to pull away. She was about to protest, but then she felt his tongue on her ear. If he didn’t catch her, she would have dropped onto the ground. Draco stopped and stood her back up.

“Are you alright?” he whispered, a little out of breath.

Hermione nodded. She looked into his gray eyes, which were now almost a warm blue. Her knees started to give away again. Draco laughed softly as he tightened his grip on her.

“It’s getting late, we should go,” he said, looking at his watch.

Hermione frowned, she didn’t want to go. Her body was calling out for Draco, and it was hard to ignore. This was the perfect escape that she needed. But then again, she felt that if she went any further, she wouldn’t be able to tell herself that this was just spontaneous and uncontrollable. Draco looked around the room to make sure he didn’t forget anything, and then he looked back at Hermione. He gave her a little nod and walked out of the room.

What a typical guy. Get a girl going and then just leave her. Hermione sighed and followed Draco’s footsteps a couple minutes after he left.

“Where have you been?!” Harry asked when she came through the portrait hole.

“Nowhere. Why?” Hermione replied, rather carelessly.

“I’ve been looking everywhere for you! Ron just owled us. Here, read it.”

Harry thrust a little piece of parchment in her direction.

Well, hello to you too. Hermione thought. Harry never seemed to fully appreciate her. She seemed to be there only to be the brains of the trio while all Harry had to do was put up a good fight and end up being the hero. She didn’t mind letting him have the spotlight, but she despised him when he just used her like this. She sighed and lazily took the letter from him. She unfolded it and read:

Harry and Hermione,
Hey guys. I wish I could write to you with some good news, but nothing’s come up to allow me to do so. There has been word that Dumbledore has fallen ill. Is it true? Please tell me it’s not because they say that Voldemort will have free range over Hogwarts if Dumbledore is not strong enough to fight. Harry, there is another rumor that Voldemort is once again planning something just for you. Be aware! Hermione, stick around Harry so he doesn’t make such an easy target alright? (Yes Hermione, please do! ~Ginny) Sorry about that, guys, Ginny just had to write that. But I hope you guys are having fun, we’re doing okay over here. Percy is still being his normal stupid arrogant self. I’ll see you in a couple of days!
With love,
Ron Weasley (and Ginny too!)

Hermione finished reading and returned the letter to Harry.

“So?” Harry asked.
“So what? It’s nothing new. Voldemort’s back, don’t tell me you didn’t expect this,” Hermione replied rather coldly.

Harry ignored her tone of voice, and continued, “I meant about Dumbledore. What if Dumbledore really is sick?”

“Give me a break Harry. You worry too much. If Dumbledore was sick, we’d know about it. I’m going to bed. Good night.”

Hermione turned and went up to her room before he had time to respond.

Harry lay on his bed awake all night. He couldn’t sleep.
What’s up with Hermione? He tossed around to face the wall. Why isn’t she taking the Voldemort threat seriously? And what’s up with the whole defending Malfoy thing? Harry suddenly felt a pang in his chest. What was that? He put his hand on his chest, but the pain was still there. Whenever he thought of Hermione and Malfoy the pain deepened. I can’t be jealous. There’s no way. I don’t even like her that way! Lost and confused, Harry tried to interpret his newfound feeling.

No, I like Ginny. Right? Then how can I feel this way about Hermione?

The night passed on and soon it was morning, and Harry drifted in and out of his sleep still trying to figure out what was going on.

The sun was up, but its warmth had not reached the Hogwarts Quidditch field yet. Draco liked it that way. He glided through the sky on his broom and let the cool breeze ruffle his hair. He closed his eyes and took a deep breath of the fresh air. Suddenly, out of nowhere, Hermione’s face popped up in his mind. Draco almost fell off his broom, but he made an impressive save half a foot off the ground.

Goddammit, she’s not even here and she still has the power to torture me. Draco landed softly on the ground and walked over to the bleachers. What was I doing yesterday? That was Hermione Granger in there. The Mudblood. No. It doesn’t matter Draco. Remember, it’s all the same. But still. I can’t stand her! Not to mention her rude refusal when I wanted her help. What made me…want her…? Do I want her? Draco felt something tighten in his stomach. This isn’t good. This can’t be possible. Dammit, I don’t want to like her!

Draco sighed and headed back towards the castle for breakfast.

Harry waited in the common room for Hermione to wake up. At 8:00 AM sharp, he saw her bounce down the stairs. He stood up and went to greet her.

“Morning, Hermione.”

“Morning,” she replied, with a yawn and a long stretch.

“How’d you sleep last night?”

Harry wasn’t sure how he should confront her about his feelings regarding her and Malfoy.

“Hmmm…good.” Why is my mouth so sticky? She thought. “And you?”

“Hermione. I have a question,” Harry continued, ignoring her question.

“Yes?”

“Is there anything going on between you and Malfoy?”

Harry immediately regretted asking this because although Hermione didn’t say anything, her wide eyes and nervous look told him everything he needed to know.

She stayed silent. Oh my god. Ewwww. Did I kiss Draco Malfoy yesterday? What was I thinking?! I was only going to help him change, but how’d we get to making out? Oh god, I have to go brush my teeth. She ran out of the common room at that, leaving Harry even more distraught about the situation.

Hermione spent almost ten minutes trying to scrub her mouth and tongue clean of Malfoy. She sighed. It’s hopeless. Why did I kiss him? Maybe it was the spur of the moment. Yes, that has to be it. I just saw him with his shirt off for crying out loud! Not to mention he only had a towel to cover his lower half.

She put her forehead against the heel of her hand. Maybe I like him. The new him. The one that makes me weak when he looks at me. No. That’s ridiculous. I can’t like him, he’s everything I hate!

Having solved nothing, Hermione left the bathroom and met up with Harry again in the entrance hall. Both were silent until they reached the Great Hall. Harry opened the door for her and she walked through, but stopped shortly, which made Harry bump into her when he followed. Hermione turned around, obviously unaware that Harry was almost glued to her body, and her nose brushed his. Harry felt a jolt go through his body and his breath quickened. Hermione blinked, confused, and stepped back to give Harry some space. But now, it was too late to go. Draco had already gotten up and walked over to them.

“Sorry, am I interrupting?” Draco asked viciously, giving Hermione a cold glare; which she returned immediately.

“Mind your own business Malfoy!” Hermione shot back.

“Ooh, if it isn’t Miss Hissy Fit. Bite me, Mudblood,” Draco replied mockingly.

Hermione felt her heart drop into her stomach. He called me a Mudblood. He hasn’t changed at all. Augh! I’m so stupid! I can’t believe I believed him for half a second! Harry was right! I’m so stupid!

Hermione was about to say something, but Harry lunged past her and was on top of Malfoy before she could say “stop”. The boys fought it out, each releasing their own frustrations over Hermione.

Hermione stood there watching, unsure of what to do. Finally, after about 5 minutes, they parted. Draco stood up with a cut lip. Harry remained in a sitting position, trying to catch his breath.

“Merry Christmas,” Draco said sarcastically and then left the Great Hall.

Hermione dropped to her knees and reached out for Harry, but he pulled back.

“Get away from me!” Harry shouted.

Taken aback, Hermione backed away. Why’s he mad at me?! I didn’t beat him up!

Harry stood up and looked down at Hermione. “So tell me, how far did you go with him? You obviously did something with him.”

“What makes you think that?” Hermione replied hotly.

“I can see it in both of your eyes!” Harry exclaimed.

“Draco never has anything in his eyes! How can you possibly see something that’s not there!”

“DRACO? You’re calling him by his first name now? What’s next, are you gonna become Hermione Malfoy?” Harry gave her a cold glare.

Hermione’s mouth dropped open. She felt tears well up in her eyes and a sour sting in her nose. She couldn’t help but start crying now. Harry was still mad at her, but half of him wanted to embrace her and apologize. He couldn’t stand watching his best friend cry, especially about something that he did. He bent down and put an arm around her shaky back.

“I’m sorry Hermione,” Harry whispered into her hair.

Hermione’s sobs worsened and she let herself fall into his arms and she buried her face in his chest. It seemed like forever before Hermione stopped crying and she pulled herself off of Harry.

“I’m sorry too, Harry,” Hermione said a little above a whisper. “I thought he changed. But you were right. He can never change.”

She hugged Harry and then they both got up. Harry sighed.

“Hey, it’s Christmas! I can’t believe we forgot!” he exclaimed, brightening the mood.

Hermione smiled. “Yeah! Let’s go open our presents.”

They raced each other back to the Gryffindor Tower. Harry won of course, by a good length too. Hermione scolded him for not letting her win. Harry laughed.

They each brought their presents down to the common room and opened them in front of the warm fireplace. They both received the usual Weasley family presents and a bunch of different things from Hagrid, Dobby, Krum, and each other. Harry got Hermione a necklace with a blue jewel at the end, and Hermione loved it. Hermione gave Harry a new broom equipment bag, which he of course, was very thrilled to receive. After they littered the whole common room with wrapping paper, they decided to go over to Hagrid’s.

Draco returned to the lonely Slytherin common room. He usually got presents from his mother and Pansy Parkinson, but this year, only Pansy’s present was there. He felt a stab of sadness when he thought of his mother. He sighed and sat down on his chair when suddenly a voice out of nowhere called him.

“Draco!” said the high pitched voice. Draco turned and looked around. There was no one there. He sat back down, thinking he just imagined it. But then he wondered why he would imagine such a creepy voice.

“Draco! Come here!” continued the voice.

Annoyed, Draco leapt off of his chair and drew his wand out. “Who’s there?! Show yourself now!”

“Hahahah. Are you going to fight me, boy?” returned the shrill voice.

“Who are you…?” Draco asked, but he had already realized just who was calling out to him.

“Do you really not know? Maybe I overestimated you then,” replied the cold voice.

“Voldemort,” Draco said at last.

“Yes. That’s right,” said the voice, and then, out of a dark corner he appeared.

Draco shuddered at the horrific sight. Voldemort’s face was paler than his own and he had two red slits that were supposed to pass for eyes. His nostrils were nothing but two black dots in the middle of his face, while his mouth was a cruel thin line snaking in and out of an evil smile.

“How’d…How’d you get in here?” Draco stumbled.

Voldemort let out a penetrating laugh. “It took a lot of caution, but now that Dumbledore is ill and the whole staff is crying over him, it wasn’t that hard.” He interlaced his fingers and grinned evilly.

“What do you want?” Draco asked suspiciously.

“You,” Voldemort replied, with a wider grin, confirming all of Draco’s fears.

Shivers ran down Draco’s spine. Ewwww. No. One: you’re too old. Two: you’re too ugly. Three: I already like someone. Wait, what? I already like someone?

“I want you to join my Death Eaters, Draco,” Voldemort elaborated.

Draco let out a relieved sigh. Well, at least I don’t have to do anything nasty.

“What do I get out of it?” Draco inquired.

“Get out of it?” Voldemort said, almost mockingly. “Power, my boy. Power, honor, and glory.”

Draco remained silent. Power, honor, and glory? God. My dad is such a poser. Unless if Voldemort copies my dad, no, I think it’s the other way around.

“Are you not satisfied young Master Malfoy? Perhaps there is something more that you want? Oh yes, young Master Malfoy, I can see your desire,” Voldemort said, without telling Draco what he “sees”.

“Don’t call me Malfoy,” Draco shot at him, ignoring what Voldemort claimed he saw in him.

Voldemort frowned. “You’re family is very respectable, there is no reason why you should shame them and leave them.”

“I don’t need a pep talk from you, you evil git,” Draco responded.

“Crucio!” Voldemort said.

Draco dropped onto the ground, howling in pain.

“Do not speak to your elders like that Draco Malfoy. Perhaps your father was too soft on you.”

Voldemort reluctantly raised his hand, and Draco caught his breath.

“How’d…how’d you do that?! With….without a wand!” Draco whispered, feeling that if he spoke any louder, his whole body would collapse out of the effort.

Voldemort smiled. “Join me, and one day, you might be able to do it too. I have high hopes for you, young Master Malfoy. And before I go, I’ll leave you with a little Christmas present, which may sway you to my side faster.” Voldemort went over to Draco and touched the top of his head. He chanted a spell and Draco felt something jelly-like slide through his body. He shivered for the nth time since he and Voldemort met.

At that, Voldemort turned around and left through one of the many secret chambers from the Slytherin common room.

Draco stood in one spot for about 10 minutes. What did he just do to me without my consent? Draco walked over to the mirror to make sure he still looked normal. Hmmm…nothing different there. I don’t feel different. Weird. And at that, Draco brushed it off his mind and headed out the Slytherin common room.

Harry and Hermione were disappointed to find that Hagrid was not in his cabin. Fang was in there, barking and whining as usual, and they went in to give him company. They decided that if Hagrid didn’t show up in the next ten minutes they would go back to the castle. And as it turned out, Hagrid didn’t show up.

“Where do you think he is?” Harry asked.

Hermione’s face formed a frown. Indeed, her worst fears had come true. “Harry…remember Ron’s letter last night? When I said that if Dumbledore were sick, we’d know? Well, I change my mind. We probably wouldn’t know because the teachers want to keep it quite to keep chaos from erupting. And so that Voldemort can never be sure whether or not Dumbledore is strong enough to fight him.”

Harry took in this new information. It made sense. “So what do you think Hagrid is doing?”

“He’s probably either helping Dumbledore get better or else he’s going out to make sure the secret is kept safe,” replied Hermione, pretty sure of her response. “Let’s go back to the castle before it gets dark.”

Harry nodded and they left. As they headed back to the castle, they saw Draco sitting on the steps outside.

Harry wanted to punch him again. Hermione didn’t know what to do or say, so she did and said nothing. Draco didn’t seem to notice them approaching until they were two feet away from him. When he saw them, he suddenly stood up.

“Hey Harry. Hermione,” Draco greeted them.

Harry raised an eyebrow. What’s the git doing now?

“Harry, I want to apologize for this morning. Hermione, I’m sorry I called you a Mudblood. I swear it to you I won’t do it again.” Draco gave Hermione a warm smile and his eyes turned into the soft blue color she saw when they were together last night. Hermione’s stomach tightened and her heart tried to hammer its way out of her chest.

“We’re not going to fall for it again, Draco. One act was enough. I don’t care what you think you’re going to get out of this, but you’re not gonna get it,” Harry replied sternly.

Draco narrowed his eyes as if he were solving a world conflict. “Harry, I’ll come straight out and say this.” Draco paused, as to make what he was going to say more dramatic. Then he felt something jelly shoot through his body.

“I like Hermione.” Draco stated, as if he were saying something that they heard everyday.

Both Harry and Hermione’s jaw dropped at this. Draco couldn’t help but laugh at their shocked expressions. His face turned slightly pink when he himself just realized what he told them. What the hell did I just say? WHAT THE HELL DID I JUST SAY? Wait, how did I get to talking to them? Someone’s playing with my mind. Then Draco remembered Voldemort’s spell. Something I desire. Oh no. He didn’t.

Unknowing of how to make this situation okay, Draco could do nothing but play along now. He watched Hermione with great concern; he didn’t want her to reject him yet again. While Hermione and Harry tried to make sense of what Draco just said, Draco himself thought about the truthfulness to his statement. I guess I like her. I don’t mind making out with her. And she’s not hideous or anything. She’s actually pretty hot now that I come to think about it. She smart, kind (well, sometimes), and a great kisser. Ha. I can’t believe I’m thinking these things.

Draco averted his gaze from Hermione to Harry; as if doing so would take his mind off her.

Finally, Hermione clamped her mouth shut. “Draco…” her voice was strained and soft.

Draco’s eyes flashed for a second and he looked at her, worried what was to follow his name.

Hermione cleared her throat so she could talk louder and sound like her usual all knowing self.

“Draco, what are you trying to do?” Hermione asked, obviously asking if he was doing this just so he could have another go at her, but Harry didn’t seem to catch on.

Draco let out a deep sigh. “I don’t know. I really don’t know Hermione.” He stopped. He called her Hermione again.

He quickly brushed the unneeded thoughts out of his head. “I didn’t even know I liked you until you just found out. I always thought that I hated you. Which I do, don’t get me wrong. I just like you at the same time.”

Hermione raised her eyebrow. “Do you realize that you make zero sense?”

Before Draco could respond, Harry decided to cut in, “Stay away from Hermione, Malfoy.”

Draco shifted his gaze to Harry. “Why should I listen to you, Potter?”

Harry restrained from jumping on Malfoy. “Just do it for your own safety.”

Malfoy laughed. “My own safety! What are you going to do Potter? Kill me? Here, give me your best shot!” Draco stepped in closer to Harry and pulled open the first layer of his robes.

Harry looked away. “I’m not going to kill you, you git. If you touch a hair on her head, I’ll torture you to the point that you’ll want to die.”

Draco smirked. “She didn’t seem to mind me touching her yesterday.”

Harry immediately shut up and stared at Hermione. She turned red and looked away.

“What’s he talking about Hermione?” Harry asked unevenly.

“It was nothing Harry,” Hermione responded truthfully. “We just kissed.”

“JUST KISSED?” Harry shouted. “YOU KISSED HIM?”

Hermione turned around to face Harry.

“Calm down Harry! I wasn’t feeling right. It was just a mistake.”

“Yeah, what a hell of a mistake to make!” Harry retorted.

Draco sighed. He wanted all this arguing to stop. “Will you two shut up?! Harry, I was the one who started it okay? I already told you that I like Hermione. If Hermione doesn’t like me, then that sucks for me, but she didn’t really have a choice about what happened yesterday.”

“Didn’t have a choice?” Harry spat, still glaring at Hermione.

“You’re not jealous are you?” Draco asked, a smirk snaking onto his face.

Harry turned red. “I have a girlfriend.”

“Oh yeah, Weasley,” Draco laughed. “Just cause you have a girlfriend doesn’t mean you can’t want another girl.”

Hermione stared in disbelief. “Draco, shut your mouth. Harry loves Ginny.”

Draco looked at Hermione and an evil grin came across his face, “Just like I love you.”

Hermione glared at Draco. “What the hell is that supposed to mean?”

“It’s not love, Hermione. It’s wanting meeting loneliness. We take the most convenient person nearby to cure ourselves of the pain.”

Hermione slapped Draco. “So that’s all I am? ‘Convenient’?”

Draco raised an eyebrow, ignoring the new found pain in his left cheek. “Do you want to be more than that? Don’t tell me you like me, Granger.”

Hermione didn’t know what to say; she definitely wouldn’t give him the satisfaction of knowing that she did. How can I like him and hate him at the same time? Hermione chose not to speak, and instead, she grabbed Harry by the arm and marched past Draco and into the warmth of the castle.

Draco remained outside in the bitter cold. His cheeks were still hot because of the pain that Hermione gave him.

Touché! He touched his face lightly. Then he remembered when she slapped him for the first time during their third year. He laughed silently to himself. He sat down again on the steps and rested his head in his right palm, thinking about everything that just happened.

Back in the Gryffindor common room, Harry and Hermione were warming up next to the fire place. They were pretty silent, but then Harry started talking.

“Hermione,” he started. Hermione looked up at him, indicating that she was listening. “Do you think what Malfoy said could be true?”

Hermione’s expression became rather ugly.

“Which part?” she asked, though she was sure that her answer would be no, regardless of which part Harry was talking about.

“The part about me having a girlfriend and liking someone else at the same time,“ Harry said, barely above a whisper. He was no longer looking at her, but instead into the blazing fire. Hermione didn’t know what to say. Was Harry telling her that he liked her? How could that be possible? But then again, how is it possible that she likes Malfoy? She let out a heavy sighed.

“You love Ginny, not me, Harry,” she replied at last.

“But. When I think about you and Malfoy together…I can’t control the things I feel, Hermione! I get insanely jealous when I think about you with someone else. I mean. You’ve always been mine!” Harry cried.

Hermione chose not to take offense that Harry was talking about her like his property. “That’s not true, Harry. You were fine when I was with Krum.”

“That’s because I knew you didn’t like him back,” Harry responded. “I keep telling myself that you don’t like Malfoy, but everything that’s been happening lately proves that you do!”

Hermione looked down. “Maybe I do like him, Harry.”

“No. Don’t say that,” Harry pleaded, lifting her chin so that she was looking at him. “Please tell me you don’t like him. You said earlier that it was just a mistake.”

Hermione sighed. “It’s like he said. I didn’t know that I liked him. In fact, I can’t be totally sure right now. It just happens. It’s uncontrollable. If I had a choice, I would not pick him to be my prince charming, trust me on that one Harry.”

Harry let go of her chin. “Then…I have no choice but to like you too. I have never felt this way about Ginny, Hermione. I guess something had to happen to make me realize that I like you.”

Hermione didn’t know what to say now that Harry had said “I like you” to her.

She put a hand on Harry’s face and looked into his bright green eyes. “We’re all tired Harry. Let’s take a nap before dinner and talk about it later, okay?” Harry nodded and walked off to his room.

After Hermione heard his door shut, she left the common room and headed towards the Room of Requirement. She had a feeling that Malfoy would be there waiting for her.

When she reached the seventh floor, she found herself correct. Once again, there was a room there. She didn’t even hesitate to open the door. Draco was lying on one of the couches with a warm blanket pulled over him.

“My cheek still hurts,” he said, without opening his eyes.

“You deserved it,” Hermione replied. Draco sat up. He threw off the blanket and walked over to Hermione. Without another word, he brought their faces together with a long and passionate kiss.

“How sweet,” came a voice. Hermione and Draco jumped apart. Hermione looked around confused. Draco felt dread in his heart. Voldemort once again appeared out of nowhere from a shadowy corner. Hermione let out a scream.

“Now, now, my dear, don’t be afraid,” Voldemort responded. “Stupefy!”

Hermione dropped, but Draco caught her before she hit the ground.

“What’d you do that for?!” Draco yelled.

Voldemort grinned. He pointed his hand at Draco and stupefied him too.
Entropy by Humansitis
Hermione shifted slightly in her sleep, but didn’t realize that she was not lying on her Hogwarts bed. She slept for another hour or so while Draco sat nearby watching her. He watched as she took in slow, deep breaths and exhaled it in the same fashion. He wanted to hold her while she slept, but there was no room for him to move without rousing her. There was barely any light in the small compartment that he woke up in. Draco thought it amusing how the only stream of sunlight in their prison happened to illuminate Hermione’s angelic face, he sighed and continued to watch her peaceful sleep.

Hermione wrinkled her nose as something itchy rested itself on it. When the itch didn’t go away, she opened her eyes and crossed them to see what was there. But once she took in where she was, the itch didn’t seem to matter anymore. She tried to sit herself up in the cramped room, but the most she could do was tuck her knees into her chest.

“Hey there,” Draco greeted, in a very blasé sort of way.

Hermione’s heart missed a beat as she heard a voice come from nowhere. The room was so dark, and the sun in her eyes prevented her from realizing she had a roommate.

“Draco? Is that you?” Hermione asked timidly.

Draco laughed softly. “Who else do think I am?”

“Where are we?” she continued, ignoring him.

“I don’t know. What’s the last thing you remember?”

“Harry.”

“Oh,” Draco replied, rather disappointed. He was glad that she couldn’t see him in the dark; he was sure his face didn’t have the nicest look on it right now.

“I remember talking to Harry. Then…” Hermione paused to think about what happened next.

“Then you came to find me,” he finished for her.

“Right.” As the past slowly clawed its way back into her mind, Hermione gasped. “Was that Voldemort?! How did he get into Hogwarts? How did he know about the Room of Requirement? What does he want?”

“Whoa. Slow down there. Breathe, okay?”

“BREATHE?! Draco! That was the evilest man alive back there! And we’re his prisoners for God knows what. Oh no. Harry!”

“Would you stop saying his name?!” Draco shouted, rather frustrated that all Hermione could think about now was Harry Potter. Hermione flinched as she felt Draco’s anger.

“Do you know why we’re here?”

There was a long silence, which only made Hermione more nervous. She heard Draco shift his position so that they could better see each other, then she made out his figure in the dark.

“Voldemort came for me,” he said at last.

“What? What do you mean he”“

“You know what I mean, Hermione. He wanted me to join his Death Eaters.”

“What did you say?” she questioned, a little too suspiciously.

“What the hell do you think I said?! Do you think we’d be here right now if I agreed? You know, this is all your fault. If you didn’t make me fall in love with you, I would have joined in a blink of an eye, but now I have to think about how you’d respond, and how you’d”“

“I never asked you to love me,” Hermione replied bitterly.

Draco sighed. “The point is…Voldemort is probably thinking of some twisted plan to make me join him.”

“Why does he want you so badly?”

“Because I’m the best looking eighteen year old wizard out there with a brain; who doesn’t want me?” he commented sarcastically.

“Ha ha. You are so conceited, Draco.”

Draco smiled devilishly. “Bet you Harry couldn’t make you laugh at a time like this.”

Hermione smiled, noting that what Draco had said was probably true. She let out a sigh and tried to stretch her body. Suddenly, the wall she was leaning on opened and she fell right through, allowing sunlight to bath the little closet and blind Draco. Draco let out an involuntary cry as he clamped his eyes shut and held his arms up at face height.

“Get out,” demanded a cruel, deep voice.

Draco tried to ease his eyes into the brightness, instantly on the search to make sure Hermione was okay. He slowly crawled out of the room and was relieved to see her sitting on the floor where she fell. His bones felt old and cramped, making him move at snail pace.

“You okay?”

Draco saw Hermione nod right before he got knocked out again.


Murmuring. Everywhere. Where am I? Draco moved his head slowly and opened his eyes. Black bodies filled the room that he was in. Draco was sitting on a chair, but couldn’t move. They must have used the binding spell on me. A black mass moved towards him. He saw the man remove his mask.

“Dad…” Draco managed to get out. He closed his eyes, trying to conserve his energy

“Can you still call me that?” Lucius replied harshly. “My own son, I found out recently, stunned me and left me there to rot. He dared to change his name and declare himself independent of his honorable family. Then he befriended a filthy Mudblood and defied the Dark Lord. If you can still call me your father after that…”

“Now, now, Lucius. Put your arm down, I do not want Draco to be harmed.”

“Yes master.” Draco saw his father put his mask back on and step away as another body came towards him.

“Draco, Draco, Draco. What am I to do with you?” Voldemort knelt down so that his face with parallel with Draco’s.

“Where’s Hermione?”

“Your girlfriend is safe…or she will be safe if you cooperate.”

“What do you want?” The more Draco talked, the weaker he felt. He opened his eyes so Voldemort knew that he was determined to get Hermione to safety. Voldemort smiled coldly.

“It’s quite simple. I told you before; I want you to become part of my army.”

“Why don’t you just put your mark on me right now then?” Draco questioned angrily.

Voldemort laughed. “It’s not that simple, my boy. The Dark Mark only lives on those who are true and deserving. The person who receives the Dark Mark must want it, he must desire it so that he can do my biddings. Unfortunately, when I tried it earlier, the spell did not work. I made this spell to make sure no one would join me just to stab me in the back. Quite ingenious isn’t it?”

Draco smirked. He wanted to tell Voldemort what a conceited bastard he was, but decided that that would only put Hermione in more danger. “How do I know you didn’t already kill her?”

Voldemort smiled. “How can her dead body be of any value to me? I need her alive so you will listen to me.”

“What makes you think I’d do all this for her?”

“It’s simple. The spell I cast on you, also my own creation, was not only a locator spell, but also a spell that would reveal your deepest desire. I made the spell so that it would get me something you can’t afford to lose.”

Draco felt a sharp pain in his chest. So Hermione is in danger because of me. Damn it. Why can’t I do anything right?

“Alright. If you guarantee that she’ll be okay and returned home, I’ll do whatever you want. Just…I want to see her. I want proof that she’s okay. I promise to join you right after,” Draco whispered in a tired voice. He let his head drop and he closed his eyes, telling Voldemort that he was his now.

Satisfied, Voldemort ordered two of his men to go fetch Hermione. Then he sent three of them to go get the things needed for the induction ceremony.

A couple minutes later, two men walked through the door with a girl in between them. Draco looked up, and there she was, unharmed. Hermione looked at him uncertainly. He gave her a little smile.

“Well? There she is. Shall we continue?” Voldemort questioned impatiently.

Draco turned his head to Voldemort. He hesitated but nodded determinedly.

“DRACO! What are you doing?!” Hermione shouted anguished.

Draco shut his eyes, trying to block out her voice.

“Don’t do this Draco! You can’t join him!”

“If I don’t join him, I’ll get you killed!” Draco replied softly in a shaky voice. His eyes were filled with pain as he watched her try to wrestle out of the Death Eaters’ grip.

“Don’t do this Draco…don’t!”

“Silencio!” Voldemort commanded as he pointed his hand at Hermione.

Hermione instantly fell silent. Draco returned his gaze to his future master.

The men who were sent to get the needed materials returned. Draco was horrified with what they brought back. There was a sharp knife, a cup, Voldemort’s wand, and a vial of blue potion. Voldemort grabbed his wand, placing it on Draco’s forearm, and started chanting his spell. Suddenly, the door flung open and a boy walked in, wand out, and anger plastered across his face.

Voldemort stopped the spell halfway through and looked up. He smiled. “Harry Potter.”

“Expelliarmus!” Harry shouted at once, making every wand in the room fly up and drop onto the floor.
“Avada Kedavra!” Voldemort replied, pointing his hand at Harry. Luckily, Harry moved fast enough to doge the spell. The Death Eaters started to advance on Harry when Voldemort demanded that they guard Draco; he wanted to fight Harry himself.

“I don’t know how you got here boy, but you won’t even get to live to regret it. Crucio!” Voldemort snarled. Harry rebounded the attack, but Voldemort quickly dodged it. “Expelliarmus!”

Harry’s wand flew out of his hand and at the same time, Voldemort shouted, “Crucio!”

Harry dropped onto the floor, his whole body in pain. His screams pierced the room, and Voldemort laughed. Hermione, snapping herself out of shock, picked up a dropped wand and shot a stupefying spell at Voldemort. Amazingly, it hit him, but unfortunately, it didn’t knock him out. Harry was released from the Cruciatus Curse, and now Voldemort was going to attack Hermione. With every ounce of strength he had left, Harry launched himself onto the Dark Lord, cutting him off from cursing Hermione with Avada Kedavra. Voldemort hissed viciously, trying to throw Harry off of him, and just as he did, another man walked through the door.

It was Snape.

Voldemort, for some reason, gasped when he saw Snape. Then he eyed his men and Disapparted. Along with him, every Death Eater in the room left. Snape walked forward to Hermione and Harry.

“Are you okay?” he asked the both of them.

Harry nodded, and let himself collapse completely onto the floor. Hermione looked over at Draco, who was still sitting motionless on a chair.

“Finite Incantatem!” Snape ordered, pointing his wand at Draco.

At once, Draco slouched off the chair and like Harry, collapsed onto the ground. Hermione crawled her way towards him and put her hand on his face.

“Are you okay?” she asked softly.

Draco smiled. “Never better.” And he drifted off into unconsciousness.

Snape conjured two stretchers for Harry and Draco, then he led Hermione outside where a Transporter was waiting for them. This was the first time Hermione had actually seen a Transporter. She had only read about them in books before. Transporters were the ambulances in the magical world. It looked like a bluish sphere that floated a few inches off the floor. When Snape stepped into it, it expanded to make room, and as Hermione came in with the stretchers, it grew once more so that there was enough room for them all. At once, Healers appeared in the sphere to help with Draco and Harry. Hermione was amazed at how fast the Transporter moved. It took less than 30 seconds to get back to Hogwarts, and she didn’t feel any motion at all. The Healers helped get Harry and Draco inside; then Disapparted once the boys were under the care of Madam Pomfrey. Hermione spent the night sitting by their bedsides. Snape had left once Madam Pomfrey told him the boys would be all right. Hermione wondered why Voldemort was so afraid of Snape, and how Harry knew where they were, but it wasn’t long before her exhaustion wiped the thoughts out of her head and sent her to sleep.


“Hermione.”

Hermione felt a gentle push on her shoulders. “Hmmm...” she voiced, so the person would stop nudging her.

“Hermione, wake up.”

“Harry, shhh, don’t wake her up!”

“Hermione, you’re sleeping on Draco for heaven’s sake!”

At that, Hermione awoke and sat up. She yawned and stretched.

“Sorry, Draco,” she apologized after she brushed away all her sleepiness.

Draco smiled sneakily. “It didn’t bother me as much as it bothered Harry here.”

Harry swiftly smacked Draco across the head.

“Hey! What was that for?!”

“For getting Hermione in danger yesterday!”

Draco blinked, having no comeback to that.

“Harry, how’d you know where we were?” Hermione asked, straightening her hair.

“I followed you yesterday night. I figured once you thought I went to bed you’d go find him. So I opened my door and shut it and waited for you to leave the common room. I followed you a little after, and when I finally found you again, I saw Voldemort dragging you two away; therefore, I followed him. And he shut you guys up in a prison, so I couldn’t do anything then. I wrote a letter to Dumbledore telling him what happened, and I guess he sent Snape.”

“Yeah, what was up with Snape? Why did the Dark Lord seem to fear him?” Draco inquired.

“I don’t know. That was weird. We can ask Dumbledore later,” Harry replied.

“Harry, are you mad at me and Draco?”

“I was! I can’t believe you’d do that! Sneak off to be with him, God, it’s like some sappy love story; it makes me sick. And just the fact that you like him makes me sick. So yes, I was mad at you. And Draco, you git, you should have protected Hermione!”

“Oh yeah, cause I can do so much being unconscious and paralyzed, right?” Draco shot back.

“You should have never come in contact with her once you made your alliance with Voldemort!” Harry responded angrily.

“I DID NOT MAKE AN ALLIANCE WITH VOLDEMORT! You shut your mouth and watch what you say, Potter! And don’t you think that I didn’t do anything to try to keep her safe. Because I did. I almost became a Death Eater so they wouldn’t kill her. Doesn’t that say anything? Or am I just not allowed to be forgiven?”

Harry sighed, frustrated. In his heart, he had already forgiven Draco, and was very grateful that he was willing to sacrifice himself for Hermione.

“Hello? Can I have a say here?” Hermione interjected before Harry could start yelling at Draco again. “I made the decision to go see Draco, and I can take care of myself. I never asked the two of you to be my personal bodyguards! So all this talk about who’s fault it is that I was in danger is just a bunch of crap to me. I can take protect myself, honestly!”

“I know Hermione, but, if Voldemort does anything to you, it’d be our fault! We’d never forgive ourselves. You wouldn’t have to deal with Voldemort if you weren’t my friend,” Harry explained.

“Or mine,” Draco added in.

“She’s not your friend Draco, so you can shut up,” Harry commented.

“The hell she’s not, she’s my girlfriend!” Draco stated.

“And when did that happen?” Harry replied nastily.

“Let’s see…we’ve made out…we’ve been through a near death experience…and she’s slept on me…I think that qualifies as being my girlfriend.”

Harry rolled his eyes. “You’re so”“

“Will you two shut up?!” Hermione shouted. “Whether or not Draco is my boyfriend is not the issue right now!”

“So are you saying he is your boyfriend?” Harry asked, giving her a dangerous but friendly glare.

“Harry! Just be quiet okay? We have bigger things than our love life right now!”

The hospital wing doors swung open and two red heads came walking in.

“Hey guys! I missed you so much!” Ginny ran to and pulled Harry into a long hug. Ron was behind her and greeted them with “Hello”.

“McGonagall told us what happened,” Ron informed them. “Malfoy, you’re gonna pay for this!”

“Whoa now, get your facts straight before you start shooting at people, Weasley,” Draco replied.

“It’s not his fault Ron,” Hermione added.

“The hell it’s not! If it weren’t for him, you’d never have been kidnapped!” Ron shouted.

“But if it weren’t for him, I’d be dead!” Hermione stated.

“Hey Weasel! Guess what? Hermione’s my girlfriend,” Draco said tauntingly, sitting up and pulling Hermione towards him.

Ron’s jaw dropped. “This isn’t happening.”

Hermione glared at Draco, releasing her from his grip, and walked over to Ron. “Don’t listen to him Ron. He’s just trying to get to you and Harry.”

“Good, so you guys aren’t going out?”

Hermione didn’t know what to say. If she said yes (they were going out), she’d be admitting to herself and everyone that she wanted to be with Draco, but if she said no, she didn’t want Draco to be offended.

“Maybe,” she said at last.

“Eh, well, maybe is better than a no right?” Draco added in cheerfully.

Then, at the same time, Harry, Ron, and Hermione shouted, “Shut up Malfoy!”

Everyone cracked up. Draco grinned. “Okay, Ron.” He stopped suddenly, realizing he had just called Ron by his first name; Ron, at the same time, looked amazed and confused that Draco knew his first name. “The thing is,” Draco continued. “I went home for winter vacation…and I heard my parents fighting. My dad wanted me to join Voldemort this year, but my mom felt differently. Then the bastard killed my mother, and from then on, I was determined to leave every Malfoy particle in me behind.”

Hermione gasped. “Draco, you never told me”“

“I didn’t want you to feel sorry for me,” Draco explained, giving Hermione a meaningful look.

“Anyway, I came back to school, and tried to become friends with Harry and Hermione. I asked Hermione if she’d be friends with me; she said no, I was angry, and I started being Malfoy again. But then, she walks in on me after a shower, and we make out. So I guess I started liking her. The next day, I decided that I was insane, and that I didn’t like Hermione, but was just attracted to her because she was the first girl to see me without my shirt on. Harry and I fight when we see each other in the morning. I win”“

“No you didn’t, I just didn’t want to get up,” Harry interrupted.

“Shut up, Potter, it’s my time to talk,” Draco replied, then continued. “I go back to Slytherin Tower and Voldemort is there. He says he wants me to become a Death Eater, I say no; he does some freaky spell on me, and then he leaves. I go outside, and once again, Harry and Hermione just keep running into me. The spell makes me say that I like Hermione, which I do, but I didn’t know it then. And then it starts this whole fight between the three of us. Hermione takes Harry and storms inside the castle, oh, and that’s after she slapped me. And then later that night, she came to find me again, but Voldemort was there, and he trapped us both, taking us to his base. Then, we woke up, and I got knocked out again. I woke up, and talked briefly with my father and Voldemort. They say if I don’t join, they’d kill Hermione; so of course I agreed”to join that is, if they gave me proof that she was still alive. They brought her in; I saw her, and then the ceremony started. Harry here, good thing, barged in halfway through the ceremony and started fighting with Voldemort. Then Snape came and Voldemort fled, for reasons unknown. And then here we are now. In the hospital, and all on the same side, if I may add. So you can stop trying to think of ways to get revenge. Okay? I’m a good guy now.” When Draco finished, everyone pretty much agreed with what he said.

“Well, don’t expect me to be your pal,” Ron told him. “I still despise your father.”

“Hey look! Something we have in common.” Draco smiled, and Ron laughed.

And that was how Draco became friends with Harry, Hermione, and Ron.


Dumbledore appeared at the doors, looking tired, old, and sick. He walked over to the group and waved his salutations.

“Harry, Hermione, and Draco. If I could see you for a minute in my office please?”

The three of them looked at each other and nodded. Ron and Ginny asked if they could tag along; Dumbledore agreed.

Dumbledore’s office looked very different now. There were medical instruments everywhere, and a bed replaced the usual table. The only things that seemed the same were the portraits of the old Headmasters on the wall, and Phoenix sitting in his cage. Dumbledore took a seat at the far left corner of the room, and everyone followed.

“I am sure you have a lot of questions for me,” Dumbledore began slowly, once everyone was seated. “But there are some things I must tell you first.”

“As you can see, my health is no longer as strong as it was when you first entered this school. And I am afraid that I may not make it through the end of this year.” Dumbledore paused to breathe and think about how to word what he was going to say next. “There is a battle coming up. A battle for all. You will be fighting for much more than just your lives; you will be fighting for your friends, for truth, for justice, for the history of good, and much more. I cannot tell you how this fight will end, or whether I will be there with you when it ends, but I can tell you that if you work together, nothing can prevail. I have always hoped Slytherins and Gryffindors would one day unite; for they are the strongest houses of them all. And now I see here that you have indeed become one, and it brings me great joy. Use this bond to fight Voldemort. You shall not fear him. You shall see him as a threat to your friendship, and you shall fight for it. But most importantly, you must stay together; this is no longer something you can take on by yourself Harry, this is too powerful for any one person for fight themselves. I have been transferring most of my power to Snape; soon, he will be able to better protect Hogwarts should I no longer be able to. You must trust and respect him as you do me. I don’t know what else to say now. Except Good Luck.”

Harry stared at Dumbledore in disbelief. He can’t be leaving us now. He can’t leave us when we need him the most. Dumbledore has always promised to keep me safe, to always be there for me; he’s like a grandfather to me. How can he desert us at the time of greatest need? How can he expect us to defeat the greatest evil on our own? What about all his speeches and attempts to protect me? Is he going to throw that all away now?

Dumbledore got up out of his chair and led the group to the door. “This is where I leave you now. Don’t fear, you will win.”

One by one, they descended down the stairs and out into the hallway, none of them knowing what to make of what they had just heard.

“So Harry, is this what Dumbledore does every time you go up against Voldemort?” Draco asked, more seriously than sarcastically.

“Something’s wrong. He can’t ditch us now,” Harry replied.

“Of course something’s wrong! Can’t you see he’s dying?!” Draco stated.

“Don’t say that!” Harry shouted. “He’s not going to die.”

“You have to prepare yourself for it Harry, or it will destroy you in the end!” Draco warned.

“He’s right Harry, Dumbledore seems a bit old now. We need to start learning to depend on ourselves,” Ron admitted.

“But we’re not alone, we have each other,” Hermione added.

“And he said that’s all we need,” Ginny agreed.

“BUT THAT DOESN’T MAKE IT OKAY!” Harry exclaimed.

Everyone was shocked to see Harry so angry.

“Harry, calm down,” Hermione said, putting a hand on his shoulder.

“How can you tell me to calm down after you just heard?”

“If you’re going to freak out like this, it’s no wonder Voldemort has a chance to win,” Draco contributed.

Harry closed his eyes and took in a deep breath. After he exhaled it he felt much better. He opened his eyes again and nodded to the group.

“Okay then. Let’s get ready for war.”
Et Tu... by Humansitis
They had summoned a room much like a military base. The Room of Requirement now contained a large, wooden, round table with a holographic map of Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, and all of Great Britain floating 6 inches above the centre of it. There were five seats placed evenly around the table, and each seat was occupied by one member of The Sacrificia Liberales. In the head seat sat a boy with messy black hair and round glasses. His expression was etched with determination, and his bold posture showed everyone there that he was the leader. On his right sat a red headed boy who didn’t seem to know all too well what exactly he was doing there, and next to him was a red headed girl who looked ready for the bloodiest battle on Earth. On his left sat another girl, but she had light brown hair and beautiful cinnamon eyes. Her expression flaunted years of knowledge and courage. She seemed to be the co-leader of the group. And finally, the fifth member of the Sacrificia Liberales sat across from the president, looking him straight in the eyes, with no particular feeling. Even so, the black haired boy felt the look that the blonde was giving him, sitting across the table, was one of contempt.

Other than the table, there were bookshelves lining the wall of the room. Maps, paper, quills, and books scattered themselves on the shelves. There was barely any light, being that the only source of it was the map glowing at the center of the room. It was just enough for the members to see each other, and there really was not any need for more. The head boy stood up in his seat and drew out his wand. He pointed at a section on the map labeled “Hogwarts Grounds” and immediately the diagram isolated and enlarged the map of Hogwarts.

Someone cleared his throat and began, “Umm, Harry? Not to interrupt your ritual or what-not, but why is it so dark in here? I feel something crawling up my leg. My God, what if it’s a spider?”

The blonde haired boy with cool gray eyes laughed relentlessly until the brown headed girl shot him a cold glare. The boy shrugged and grinned at her, only to be returned with a disgusted look.

The boy with black hair sighed before he replied, “Ron, if there’s something crawling up your leg, just swat it! We have bigger things to worry about than a spider up your pants.”

“But I still don’t see why you had to make the room so dark and spooky!”

“Hey Weasel, you afraid of the dark?” Malfoy laughed.

“Shut up Malfoy, I didn’t ask your opinion.”

Cutting off the insults, the leader explained, “It’s dark because that’s the only way we can see these maps, Ron. These are light maps, if it touches any human created light, it’ll immediately disappear. It already took Hermione long enough to finally get them conjured.” The brown headed girl nodded, agreeing with what Harry had said.

“These are the rarest maps on Earth,” she added. “They show us everything we need to know. It’s sort of like the Marauders Map, but better. With this, we can pinpoint anyone or anything in the school, and it shows every single hidden passageway and every password for every door.”

The red headed boy listened with wide eyes and amazement. “So are you saying that if we call forth Gringotts Bank, we can get every single password to every vault?!”

The red headed girl shook her head, embarrassed of her brother. “Ron, is that all you can think about? Even if you knew every password, you’d never get away with robbing the money.”

“She’s right you know,” added Draco. “Someone tried to rob my family’s account once, being that it was one of the richest accounts Gringotts ever held in history, and the rascal mysteriously disappeared three days after…” He let out a faked sympathetic sigh.

“Ginny, can you kick him for me?” Ron asked his sister, with the most innocent face he could conjure while trying to locate what was on him. Ginny shook her head as if to tell her brother to grow up, and looked back at Harry, who was still playing around with the map.

“What are you doing?” she asked Harry.

“I’m plotting areas where Voldemort could easily attack.”

“What a bunch of bull, he could attack anywhere, anytime if he wanted to,” Draco drawled.

“Well, if you’re such a genius, why don’t you come up with a plan?” Harry challenged.

Draco grinned then sighed. “That’s what you Gryffindors don’t get; you always have to be prepared for battle even when you’re not in it. You always have to have a plan to defend yourself.”

“Cut the crap and get to the point Malfoy,” Harry said impatiently.

“Voldemort expects us to wait for him to attack. But he also leaves an extra plan in case if we attack him. So we don’t attack him, but we don’t wait for him to attack us either.”

Harry just raised an eyebrow and looked at Hermione, asking her silently if she had any clue what the physco platinum blonde was talking about. Hermione returned his look, both of them disappointed.

“Care to elaborate Draco?” Hermione asked the boy.

Draco stood up from his seat and walked around the table so he was shoulder to shoulder with Harry. “Give me your wand,” he demanded in a friendly way. Harry, hesitantly, handed his wand over to Draco.

“Now, it’s obvious we can’t call forth where the Dark Lord is because he probably has every known protection spell around his lair, but watch.” Draco closed the Hogwarts map and opened the map of Great Britain. He then shut his eyes and started chanting a spell, pointing Harry’s wand at his chest with his right hand and his left hand reaching out, as if trying to grab the map. Hermione watched the boy with concern, she could tell he was using a lot of energy because he had already started shaking and losing balance less than one minute into the spell; no one else had seemed to notice though. When at last Draco cried out in exhaustion and fell to the ground, the map went black in all areas except one. The only area left glowing was in the shape of a man, moving around in the dark abyss. Hermione instantly dropped onto the floor to make sure no damage was done. Draco was panting hard, completely out of breath.

“What did you do?” Harry asked, confused.

“I” Draco began, but was cut off by lack of oxygen. He took a deep breath in and let it out to slow his breathing. “I made a connection with my father. The map shows me where he is on the Earth, that’s one of the specialties of a light map…you can find anyone close to you. But also, now I can see within myself what he sees. I can’t keep this connection for long though; I’m not strong enough to hold it out for long periods yet, and he’ll detect me in his mind soon.”

“And how does this help us?” Ron questioned.

“He’s one of the Dark Lord’s most trusted men. He’ll lead us right to him. This way, I can keep tabs on him, and if they do plan to attack us soon, we’ll meet them halfway.” He paused. “At least we keep the school safe, right?”

Hermione drew Draco’s head onto her lap and motioned for him to lie down properly on his back. Harry watched Draco with something that combined envy and hate, but at the same time, he didn’t actually hate him. Breaking the gaze between Hermione and Draco, Harry cleared his throat. “You can’t possibly do this everyday, Draco. Look at your state of well being right now! You’d be useless to us in battle if you’re so worn out by locating your father.”

“Don’t worry about it, Harry. This is a one time thing. My body adjusts quickly, the next time I do it, it’ll be like taking candy from a baby.” Draco grinned.

“Probably something you did everyday,” Ron muttered under his breath. Ginny giggled, being the only one who heard him.

“Okay then. From now on, at least once every day, Draco will check on his father. Until there is any urgent threat, we’ll just gather as much information and as many students as we can. DA meetings will resume immediately.” When Harry finished talking, the meeting was adjourned. Ginny instantly hopped to her feet and took Harry by the arms and dragged him out of the room; she had been waiting all break to come back and snog him silly. Ron, feeling uncomfortable in the dark with Draco and Hermione, followed shortly after.

“Hmmm. You remember the first time we were in here alone?” Draco asked, smiling devilishly. Hermione ran her hand through his incredibly soft hair and rested it on his left cheek . She smiled and looked into his eyes, which in the dark seemed to be like bright lights. They were blue now, with a shiny gray outline, as if calling out to her; Hermione felt the need to kiss him right then and there, but he was still a little out of breath. Draco closed his eyes and concentrated on something that was unknown to Hermione until little candles popped up everywhere and a soft cushion rose out of the floor beneath where they were sitting. He smiled toothily at her. His teeth were very white and well taken care of, not one was out of line. She bent down and kissed him gently on the lips, even though it was an awkward position. Draco moved his head off her lap and put his hands around her slim waist, pulling her down towards him, and then bringing her mouth to his, he kissed her like never before. He wanted her so much, and the only way he could seem to make her fathom how much he needed her was through his kisses. Hermione definitely got the message. She felt Draco pouring himself into her; his soul, which seemed to be so pure. She grabbed at his robes, trying to release some of the feelings that have been bottled up in her lately, and when they finally came apart, Hermione fell onto the cushion right next to Draco. After he caught his breath, Draco turned on his side to face Hermione, resting his head on his left hand and caressing her face with his other.

“Hermione,” he began. Hermione turned her head a little and placed a kiss on the palm of his hand, telling him “yes?”. “Why do you want to be with me?”

Hermione, unprepared to answer that question just yet, let out an involuntary “Uh..”.

Draco chuckled lightly. “Do you even like me?”

Something tensed in Hermione’s stomach. She cleared her thoughts, and tried to answer as honestly as she could, “Yes. Sometimes.”

“And when you don’t like me, why do you choose to be with me?”

“I don’t know. I guess it’s kind of like an escape. I’ve never felt anything like this before.”

“Hermione. I love you.” Draco said with finality, and kissing her on her forehead. “Don’t ever leave me. Please.”

Hermione was speechless. No man had ever said those words to her, no man had ever made her feel so needed. She let Draco pull her into a long snuggling hug, and they fell asleep.



“Harry, relax!” Ginny laughed. “No one’s going to find us in here!” She pulled him in for another kiss. Little did she know that Harry was only finding an excuse to stop making out with her. Every time he kissed Ginny, his guilt tripled; he liked Hermione, but didn’t know how to break it to her. Ginny sensed Harry pull away, and let him.

“What’s wrong?” she asked, not in an unfriendly way.

Harry ran a hand through his hair. “Nothing.”

Ginny laughed and pushed him playfully. “Common, tell me!”

“It’s nothing, Ginny. Really. I’m fine. I’m just tired.” He rubbed his eyes with his left hand. “And worried. And angry, and just everything!!” he finally released.

“Worried? About what?”

“Hermione! She’s going out with Malfoy for heaven’s sake!” he almost screamed.

“I thought you said that he was a good guy now. You seem to be really good with him…”

“That’s only for Hermione. Inside…I want to tear him into little pieces and set him on fire! I don’t trust him. I don’t trust him with the war that is coming up, and I don’t trust him with Hermione.”

Ginny put both her hands on his face and turned him so that they were eye to eye. “Hermione is a smart and matured girl, Harry. She can take care of herself. You don’t need to worry about her.”

“So are you saying you have no problem with her being with Malfoy?” Harry asked incredulously.

“Well, of course I don’t trust Malfoy either, and I definitely don’t like him; I don’t think anyone but Hermione does, but if Hermione wants to be with him, then there’s nothing we can do. Sometimes a girl just needs a guy to let go on.”

Harry took in what Ginny had just said. It gave him a little hope. “So are you saying that she might only be using him to release some stress or whatever?”

Ginny nodded. “I honestly can’t see another reason…I mean, she definitely doesn’t like him, you know, like in the “I love you” sort of way. She just can’t. I can’t see her like that with him. It’s too wrong. So she’s probably just been going through some stuff lately, and he happened to be there to help her relax.”

“You girls are so complicated, you know that?” Harry said playfully.

Ginny smiled. “And you boys are so simple.” Then she pulled him into a long kiss, which he submitted to.



“What do you want?”

Lucius involuntarily shivered at the sound of the Dark Lord’s voice.

“Sir, I just wanted to inform you that I felt my son try to contact me today.”

Voldemort turned to face Lucius. “What do you mean you felt your son?”

“I think he’s been trying to make a link with me. I don’t know why.”

An evil grin slithered onto Voldemort’s face. He pointed his pale hand at Lucius Malfoy and said unhesitatingly, “Imperio.”



Hermione woke up alone. She looked around, but Draco was no where to be seen. She felt disappointed. Where’d he go? Why didn’t he wake me up? She sat up and straightened her hair before she walked out of the room. Then she saw him, sitting alone in a corner with his head buried in his hands.

“Draco?” she asked gently.

He looked up, Hermione could tell he had been crying. She walked over to him and put a hand on his back. “What’s wrong?”

Draco looked away; he had never let his guard down in front of anyone but his mother before. He discreetly wiped his eyes and looked down at his polished leather shoes. Hermione was still waiting for his answer. He sniffed and decided to keep his problems to himself. “It’s nothing.” He looked at her again and smiled as best as he could. She knew something was bothering him, but also that he didn’t want to talk about it, so she dropped the subject.

“We should go find Harry and company, see what we’re going to do today,” Hermione tried.

Draco nodded and got up, then they headed for Gryffindor Tower together.

Amazingly, everyone subconsciously knew to meet in the Gryffindor common room; though Ron was disturbed by the fact that Hermione told Draco the password. She shrugged, and Draco offered to tell them the Slytherin password if it’d ease their mind. (Which Ron later pulled him aside for.) Harry looks a lot better today, thought Hermione. He seems happier and calmer almost. Everyone sat down on their usual couches, well, everyone but Draco because he didn’t have a chair in the Gryffindor common room. Hermione sat to one side of her comfy chair and offered Draco the other half, but Harry, alarmed by this, instantly pulled up another chair for him. Draco took Harry’s chair, but moved it so it was next to Hermione. Well, at least she won’t be sitting on him, Harry thought to himself.

“Okay. We settled?” Everyone nodded. “Good. Today, Hermione and I will be going to recruit outside members and warn everyone who needs to be warned. Ron, you’re head boy, I need you to inform everyone of the DA revival immediately. Then, set a schedule for all our meetings, please. Draco, I want you to try and get in contact with your father again, see where here is and what he’s doing. Ginny, you go with Draco in case anything goes wrong.”

“What do you mean by ‘anything goes wrong’?” Draco asked suspiciously.

“I mean what I mean,” Harry replied with finality.

Everyone got out of their seats and headed for the portrait hole, then went their separate ways.


“I can’t believe he still doesn’t trust me,” Draco complained to Ginny halfway down the hall. Ginny, uncomfortable with the fact that Harry would make her spend a whole day with her worst enemy, opted not to say anything to console Draco. “What’s worse, he sent a little tag along!”

“EXCUSE ME?” Ginny roared. “Who are you calling ‘a little tag along’?!”

Draco gave her a scornful look. “I know why he sent you with me Weasley. You’re supposed to make sure I don’t turn evil, or do something evil, or blah blah blah. Admit it.”

Ginny went slightly pink. She didn’t expect Draco to realize that so soon, and she definitely didn’t expect him to come right out and accuse her of it. I guess he’s a guy who doesn’t keep anything to himself, she thought. The rest of their trip to the Room of Requirement was filled with silence.

Draco opened the door, and to Ginny’s surprise, he held it open for her. She took his offer and went in before him. Hermione had left an extremely detailed explanation of how to conjure the maps, and she added that it was probably better if Draco did it because he was more experienced with magic. Ginny agreed happily. Draco smiled at her goofiness and pocketed Hermione’s letter, having already memorized it.

“Ahem. You ready?” Draco asked, rolling up his sleeves as if he was about to do brain surgery. Ginny actually laughed, and scolded herself for letting him get to her.

“Nox!” Draco commanded, and all the light that was in the room was immediately sucked out. The only way Ginny knew that Draco was still there was his steady breaths, in and out. She heard Draco begin the spell and stood around, seeing nothing, waiting for the maps to appear. After 3 minutes, still nothing had happened.

“That’s weird. That should have worked,” Draco contemplated aloud.

“Maybe you did a part wrong. Retry it.”

“I did not do a part wrong Weasley, I don’t mess up things like this. Hermione must have forgotten something in her instructions.”

“Just retry it, Malfoy.”

Draco sighed and gave in. He started the spell again. A little after he finished, a bright light filled the room as the map appeared at the center of the table.

“Told ya!” Ginny said gleefully. Draco mumbled something, but Ginny didn’t catch it.

“Okay, here I go.” Draco took in a deep breath and repeated what he did yesterday. Ginny
watched on, not knowing what to expect, when suddenly, Draco dropped his wand and fell to the floor, clutching his head in pain with both hands.

“AGHHHH! GINNY! HELP!” Draco cried.

Ginny, completely flabbergasted at what was happening, reached for her wand and shouted, “Finite Incantatem!” But nothing happened to help Draco.

“Oh no…Ginny, get out of here! NOW! OUT!”

“WHAT? Don’t be stupid! If I leave you here, you’ll die!” Ginny shouted back.

“If you stay here, I might kill you!!” Draco replied in between his screams of pain.

Despite what Draco said, Ginny was determined to fix this problem. Okay, this all started when he tried to link himself to his father, if I get rid of the map, it’ll get rid of the link. And at that, she pointed to the map and cried, “ E CONSPECTU!”

The map disappeared instantly, along with Draco’s screams. The room was now completely black, nothing could be seen. Ginny heard Draco moan softly in pain. “Lumos!” Ginny commanded with her wand. Then she thought of light, and there it was. She bent down and felt Draco’s back; it was completely soaked with sweat.

“Draco, are you okay?” Ginny asked, turning him around. His whole face was flushed and his eyes were shut tight. His breathing was unsteady now and very fast paced.

“I’m fine,” he managed to choke out. “Did…Did I do anything to you?”

“No…,” Ginny replied, unsure of what he meant.

“Good. Hermione would kill me if anything happened to you.” Ginny smiled, she thought it was sweet how Draco could think of Hermione at a time like this. Draco muttered a spell to dry off his clothes and then sat up. “Sorry about that,” he began, looking for the first time into Ginny’s eyes. Ginny immediately looked away. For some reason, she felt her body temperature rise.

“What happened?” she asked, still not looking at him.

“I don’t know,” Draco responded truthfully. “But something went very wrong. I think my father detected me last time…and now Voldemort did something to keep me out. All those memories…those images…that voice…”

Ginny looked at Draco and was startled to see him on the verge of tears. She reached out her hand and patted him gently on the back, not knowing if that’s what he needed or wanted. But as fast as his breakdown came, it went. He looked up at her and gave her a small smile.

“Common, let’s go.” Ginny offered her hand to Draco, and he took it. They walked out of the room and back to Gryffindor Tower.


“So where exactly are we going?” Hermione asked Harry curiously.

“Grimauld Place,” Harry replied, with no particular emotion in his voice. “Hermione…can you answer a question for me?”

Not liking where this conversation was going, Hermione said, “Depends on what it’s about.”

“Draco.”

“No.”

“Why?” Harry complained in a whiny voice.

“Because that’s really none of your business, Harry!”

“I just want to know whether you really like him, or if you’re just using him,” he elaborated.

“What do you mean ‘using him’?!”

“Well, Ginny said that sometimes you girls need a guy to just let go on. And, I think, that’s what you’re using Draco for, but you think you like him when you don’t. I mean, can you look me in the eye and tell me that you love Draco Malfoy? That sneer, his constant sarcasm, just him!”

Hermione paused in her tracks. Am I using Draco? It’s true, most of the time I can’t stand him, but when we’re alone...She shook her head. “I don’t know, Harry. Time will tell.” And she continued to walk.

“But what about me?!” Harry asked, a little too desperately. “What about my feelings for you? I’ve been keeping them bottled up for so long…I can’t take this anymore Hermione!”

“Harry, you’re being paranoid. You don’t like me!!! And that’s final. How many times do I have to tell you? How many times do we have to go through this? I love you, yes, but as a friend. You are my best friend Harry, and I don’t ever want to lose that.”

Harry sighed. He couldn’t see how Hermione could possibly know what he feels when she keeps refusing to listen to him, but he didn’t want to fight with her either. When they reached Grimauld Place, they met up with Tonks, Moody, and Shacklebolt. They talked briefly and agreed that if anything should happen, they’d Floo each other right away. At least now they knew the Order was back together; Harry actually knew all along, he just wanted an excuse to pull Hermione and Draco apart for a day.

Harry was quiet the whole way back, and although it was an uncomfortable silence, Hermione preferred it over talking about Draco.

I have to make her see, make her feel what I feel, Harry thought to himself. She has to realize that Draco isn’t the one for her… Before he knew it, they were on the Hogwarts front steps; if Harry didn’t do something now, there would never be another chance. Heading back towards the Gryffindor Tower, Harry grabbed Hermione by the wrist and dragged her into an empty classroom. Taken by surprise, Hermione didn’t have time to react until she was already in the room.


“Hey, Ginny,” Draco called from the portrait hole. “I’m gonna go wait for Harry and Hermione outside okay?”

“Okay!” Ginny shouted back. “I think I’m gonna stay here, my head hurts.” But the truth was, she didn’t want to spend any more time with Draco; she was afraid that she might start accepting him; which is crazy because his family is everything her family hates! A part of her now understood why Hermione wanted to be with him, though. To her surprise, Draco showed up next to the couch she was lying on.

“You want me to stay here ‘til you feel better?” he offered sympathetically.

“No, it’s okay. You go ahead. They should be heading back anytime now anyway.”

Draco nodded, then waved goodbye. Ginny sighed after she heard him leave through the portrait hole. He isn’t so bad once you get to know him, but that’s exactly why I shouldn’t get to know him.

Draco almost jumped down the steps in excitement. It’s been way too long since he last saw Hermione. He slowed his run to a jog as he neared the ground floor. Passing one of the supposedly deserted classrooms, he heard a girl’s voice. He slowed down and backed up to see what was going on. Then he heard everything perfectly.

“Harry…” the girl said softly.

“Shhh…” came another voice. Then silence; the unbearable kind of silence for someone who couldn’t see what was going on.

Not wasting a second, Draco strode to the door and flung it open…


“Listen, Hermione,” Harry began, letting go of her wrists. “I promise you, if you just give me ten minutes of your time today, I won’t bother you about this any more in the future.”

Hermione sighed. I might as well. This is Harry after all. He’s my best friend, I don’t want to lose him… “Okay, ten minutes.”

“You’ve always been there for me Hermione. You are my best friend. You’ve willingly sacrificed yourself for me before, and I you. I like you, no, I love you. I love you as more than a friend, and I need you. Without you, I am like ice without water, day without night…I am nothing. If you be with me, I promise you I’ll protect you with my life, I’ll do anything and everything, as long as if it brings you happiness, I’ll devote myself to you, heart, body, and soul. Just please, give me a chance…”
Harry felt himself start to cry and he put both his hands on Hermione’s delicate face. “Just…one…chance…” He brought her head closer to his, and began to close his eyes.

“Harry…” she whispered, trying to stop him, but after everything he had just told her, she didn’t have the heart to.

“Shhh…” And he forced his lips on hers and trapped them in a passionate kiss. Harry’s hands slipped down to Hermione’s waist and pulled her into him as she unconsciously wrapped her arms around his neck. They were still kissing when suddenly an angry voice came from behind them, making the both of them jump apart.

“What…the…hell…do…you...think…” Draco began, but his rage was so out of control he couldn’t finish the rest of his sentence comprehensibly…
Dee by Humansitis
“Draco…!” Hermione exclaimed, immediately pushing Harry away from herself and turning to face the golden fire ball now glaring at her. She watched as Draco’s thin lips twitched with anger and his cold gray eyes sent sharp knives through her heart. Harry stepped forward and gently brushed Hermione behind him.

“Draco, calm down,” Harry said somewhat soothingly. “This isn’t what it looks like…” No, this is exactly what it looks like! Harry thought to himself. Hermione let me in. That has to mean something.

Draco only tightened his fists so that his knuckles were snow white and his fingernails dug deep into his palms. He ignored Harry and kept his unfriendly gaze on Hermione. Hermione wanted to run to Draco and tell him she didn’t mean to kiss Harry, and that it just happened, but she couldn’t seem to pick up her feet or gather her courage.

“If you have something to settle, settle it with me,” Harry continued after he recognized that Draco wasn’t going to respond to him. At that, Draco turned his head toward Harry and scoffed. Harry thought Draco was going to start yelling at him, but right when he was ready to take on a chain of insults, he saw Draco lunge at him, and in two seconds flat, he was on the ground with a bloody nose.

“DRACO! STOP!” Hermione intervened, catching Draco’s arm in midair before he could punch Harry again. Draco paused momentarily, taking his time to breathe, then he looked at Hermione’s hand on his arm.

“Get. Your. Hands. Off. Of. Me. Mudblood.”

Hermione tightened her grip on his arm and looked him straight in the eyes, even though he was determined to stare forward. Good. He’s calling me Mudblood again. That means he’s just mad…I hope.

“Draco…listen to me,” Hermione tried, and when Draco didn’t object, she continued. “What just happened…it was a mistake.” She stopped there, not knowing how to further explain it to make it seem okay.

“A mistake?” Draco whispered in a hoarse voice. “You want to know what a mistake is?” he asked, now returning her stare.

“It’s me thinking you would ever like me.”

And at that, he forcefully shook off her arm with one swing, stood up, and strode out of the room. Hermione collapsed onto her knees after he left, her whole body and mind was numb now. “It’s me thinking you would ever like me”…But I do Draco. I do…sometimes I think I’m in love with you …Hermione felt tears build up in her eyes and she hid her face in her hands before she let them flow freely.

Harry watched her guiltily from the sideline. He didn’t know what to do. Hermione was crying because of something he did, something he caused. He dropped his head hard onto the ground, only to speed up the blood that was flowing out of his nose. “Impede!” he muttered under his breath, and immediately, his bloody nose went away. He pulled out a handkerchief and wiped off his face before he went to sit next to Hermione. He began to put his arms around her, but decided that that wasn’t appropriate right now, and contented himself with patting her on the back.

“Hermione…”

She sniffed and wiped away her tears before looking up.

“I’m sorry, Hermione,” Harry said, looking down at his feet. “I didn’t mean for Draco to see…I just…I don’t know what’s gotten into me.”


Hermione listened quietly. Inside, she was screaming at Harry for what just happened, but she also acknowledged the fact that she didn’t stop him.

“I’m going back to my room,” Hermione replied emotionlessly.

Harry stood up to walk her back, but she put a hand on his shoulder before he could fully stand.

“Could you let me go first? I want to be alone.”

Harry’s heart sunk, she was mad at him. He sat down and watched her wavy brown hair disappear behind the door. He let out a frustrated cry and beat himself on the head. Now she’ll never be with me…Way to go Harry.


Ginny sat up when she heard the portrait swing open. She was disappointed to see only Hermione come through, but still got out of the sofa to greet her.

“Hey Hermione!” Ginny began, before noticing that Hermione had been crying.

“I’m going to go sleep, I’ll talk to you later Ginny,” Hermione replied, without looking at Ginny, she didn’t want Ginny to ask why she had been crying.

“Wait! Did you see Draco? He went outside to wait for you guys…I thought he’d come back with you, unless if you passed each other unconsciously in the halls…”

Hermione stopped walking and sat on the stairs, resuming her sobs. Ginny was taken by surprise, so she didn’t do anything for a minute or so. After she came back to reality, she climbed up the stairs and gave Hermione a comforting hug.

“What happened?” she asked concernedly.

Hermione was crying so hard she couldn’t respond. Ginny brushed Hermione’s hair out of her eyes and gently wiped away her tears with her thumb.

“Everything’s going to be all right,” she reassured her.

“No, Ginny…things aren’t ever going to be the same again,” Hermione cried softly.

“What happened?” Ginny repeated.

“Draco…he…he saw Harry kiss me and…” Hermione stopped immediately, remembering that Ginny was Harry’s girlfriend. She looked alarmed at Ginny. To her surprise, Ginny wasn’t mad, in fact, she looked like she was expecting something like that.

“It’s okay Hermione. I know Harry has changed his feelings for me, it was pretty obvious after I came back from break.” Hermione sighed and pulled Ginny in for a tight hug.

After they let go of each other, Hermione resumed the path to her room, too tired to discuss the disaster any further.


Draco picked up a lantern that was sitting way too comfortably on the table in the Slytherin common room and chunked it as hard as he could at the wall. The past five minutes that he had spent in the cold dungeon was basically filled with the need to destroy things. He had ruined just about every chair and broken almost every desk he could lay his hands on. When at last there was nothing left for him to smash, he threw himself against the wall and slid down into a sitting position, wrapping his hands behind his head and covering his face with his elbows.

“My, my, my. What have you done, Draco?”

Draco didn’t even bother to look up at the hideous, evil thing that was talking to him.

“I can help you,” Voldemort stated simply. “I can give you a life where your heart won’t be broken by a silly stupid girl.” His lips widened into a smile when Draco lifted his head to look at him.

“I want to make them pay…” Draco said quietly. “For every ounce of pain I feel right now, I want to make them feel double.”

“I can do that,” Voldemort replied. “We can do it together. Join me and be my spy on them. You know how to reach me if you want to take advantage of my generous offer.” And at that, Voldemort disappeared.

I thought we couldn’t disapparate or apparate on Hogwarts grounds… Draco thought to himself, but his thoughts were immediately cut off when the portrait swung open and a girl of medium height with curvy blonde hair and an excellent figure glided in. Draco watched as she surveyed the room and when she caught sight of him, he stood up.

“What happened here?” she asked with a little disgust in her voice.

“Me,” Draco replied, walking towards her. He reached out his arm and introduced himself. “I’m Draco Malfoy, prefect of Slytherin. You new here?”

She took his hand and shook it firmly. “Call me Dee. I moved from my school in Germany. And if you are really the prefect of this house, you are the man I’m looking for.”

Draco gave her a warm smile. “Well you found me. How can I be of service?”

“Your Headmaster said you’d be my guide around the school for the next couple weeks. Term starts tomorrow right?”

Draco nodded. “What classes are you taking?”

Dee fumbled around her robes and pulled out a little piece of parchment. “Transfiguration, Double Potions, History of Magic, Muggle Studies, Herbology, Charms, Arithmancy, and Care of Magical Creatures.”

Draco let out a low whistle. “Quite a schedule isn’t it?”

Dee grinned, “I like being kept busy.”

“Alright then,” Draco replied. “Let’s take a tour around the school shall we?” He held an arm out, gesturing for her to go first.

“So what kind of a name is Draco?” Dee asked him as they headed for the Transfiguration classroom. Draco laughed.

“What kind of a name is Dee?” he replied in a friendly way.

“Well, I just go by Dee. My parents aren’t exactly known for their name giving talents, so mine had to compensate.”

Draco turned his head and looked at her with a raised eyebrow. “So what is your name?”

Dee sighed and muttered, “Dike.”

“Dyke?!” Draco repeated, louder than Dee would have liked. He tried hard not to laugh, and Dee was thankful for that.

“It’s spelled D-i-k-e…but still, it sounds like dyke,” she elaborated, looking down so Draco wouldn’t see her blush.

“Well either way, it’s a very interesting name…” Draco commented, nodding his head with a goofy smile.

“Shut up,” Dee said, giving Draco a little punch on the arm.

“Ahhh! The pain,” Draco screamed, pretending to hold his arm in pain.

Dee laughed and they continued to talk about various things as they toured the school.

Harry decided to go for a ride on his broom and clear his mind. The wind was calm and cool. The clear blue sky drew him closer to itself as he flew higher and higher. Then something caught his eye about three miles north of where he was; a big green skull with a snake slithering out of its mouth floated in the air and little puffs of smoke rose from underneath to meet it. Alarmed, Harry flew straight down to the ground and ran all the way back to the Gryffindor Tower. Just five feet away from the portrait, he almost tackled a couple that was walking through the halls. He paused and after actually looking at who he ran into, he felt dread in his stomach and his heartbeat quickened.

“Watch where you’re going Potter,” Draco sneered.

“Sorry,” Harry mumbled, feeling not so great around Draco.

“Potter? As in Harry Potter?” Dee exclaimed excitedly.

Harry turned his head to look at the unfamiliar blonde standing next to Draco.

“And you are?”

“She’s none of your business Potter, move along now,” Draco cut in. Then he said to Dee, “Don’t want to be caught in his web, love, he’s not the greatest guy around; despite what you might think.”

Harry shook his head and left them to themselves.

“What do you have against him?!” Dee asked, curiously and angrily.

“Everything,” Draco muttered in return. “And you’re supposed to be a Slytherin! We hate his kind, act more like what you’re supposed to be!”

Dee huffed and stomped away. Draco opened his mouth to stop her, but nothing came out. When she was almost at the end of the hall, he finally managed to say, “Hey! You don’t know your way around the school yet, I’d come back here if I were you!” And at that, Dee stopped walking, huffed again, and turned around.

My god. Draco thought. She’s like a little kid! He ran to where she was and they continued the tour again.

“So why were you put in Slytherin?” Draco asked. “You seem happy and innocent, everything a Slytherin isn’t supposed to be.”

“I grew up around the Dark Arts,” Dee replied. “I could probably school you in a duel any day.”

Draco laughed. “I doubt that love.”

“Oh yeah?” Dee said in a challenging way. “When we go back to the common room, we’ll see who laughs in the end!”

Draco agreed and then quickly went through the school so they could get back to the common room.


“Alright,” Draco said, stretching his arms and pretending to warm up for a big race. He took off his outer robe and pulled out his wand. “I’m not going to go easy on you just because you’re a girl.”

Dee smiled. “I like it that way.” And she too revealed her wand.

They walked towards each other. “Purge!” Draco commanded, and his afternoon’s work cleared to the side so that there was a clean aisle for them to walk in. When they were less than one foot away from each other, they held their wands up in front of their faces and then swung it back down to their side. Each turned around and took three steps back.

“And now the bow,” Draco said.

“No talking!” Dee scolded. “It ruins my concentration.” Draco laughed silently to himself.

They bowed, and then threw their wands in the air. Dee caught hers first and launched a spell at Draco immediately.

“Engorgio!” And at once, Draco began to expand.

“Whoa! Slow down there!” Draco said to himself as he watched his body double, then triple. He caught his wand during the expansion and pointed to himself saying, “Reducio!” And he shrunk back down to his normal size.

“Lacrime!” Dee shouted.

“Protege!” Draco responded, and Dee instantly started crying hysterically. Draco laughed. “Shouldn’t have used a crying spell! I don’t like fighting girls while they cry.”

Dee laughed in between her forced sobs.

“Finite Incantatem!” Draco demanded, and she stopped crying immediately. “I win!”

“Only because I was going easy on you,” Dee replied with a sneaky smile.

“Oh really?” Draco said incredulously.

“Well, if we were dueling to death or to cause pain, I would have won,” Dee reassured him.

“Yeah, yeah, I believe you on that one. I noticed you were having a hard time thinking of spells.” Draco laughed. “So what kind of spells can you do?”

“A lot. I know all the unforgivable curses,” Dee said, not too proud of herself.

“And you can carry them out with no problem?” Draco questioned.

“Yeah, but I also know others that are just as bad,” Dee replied.

Draco remained silent. Behind the cute look, that girl was very dangerous if you were on her wrong side, he thought.

“So where’d you learn to duel like that?” Draco asked. “No one duels the old fashion style anymore. They usually just walk away from each other, do the salute, and bow, and duel. No throwing of the wands.”

Dee smiled. “My dad was a duel expert.”

“Who’s your dad?” Draco asked.

“Perseus Notis,” Dee replied casually.

“PERSEUS NOTIS?!” Draco exclaimed. “Isn’t he the world champion of dueling?”

“Yes, he was. Until he came down with quassationis.”

Draco bowed his head. “I’m sorry.” Quassationis can be related to Parkinson’s; it caused intense shaking, except all over the body. Most wizards and witches who developed the disease did not live to defeat it, Dee’s father included.

Draco put his arms around Dee and gave her a friendly hug. She returned it, but pulled away so she could stop herself from crying.

“I think I’m gonna go to my room,” she said quietly.

Draco nodded and watched her go. He let out a sigh and sat down on one of the ripped up chairs. He began thinking about his father, and what Voldemort had told him today. Is it worth it? Become a Death Eater? Draco soon fell asleep, tired of making decisions he wasn’t ready for.

Hermione woke with a start. Someone was pounding at her door. She lazily threw off her covers and got out of bed.

“Ginny?” Hermione said with surprise when she answered the knocking.

“Hey, you gotta come fast. Harry says there’s something happening in the Forbidden Forest.”

Hermione instantly grabbed her coat and followed Ginny down the steps into the common room.

“Ron and Harry already left for it. Should we go get Draco?” Ginny asked.

“No, I don’t think so,” Hermione replied. “I don’t think he’ll be in a helping mood today.”

Ginny nodded, and they hurried out of the portrait hole.

“Harry!” Ginny screamed as she saw a boy with messy black hair fly across the air. Five death eaters immediately turned their attention to the red headed girl running towards them.

“Petrificus totalus!” one of them yelled in her direction. Ginny dodged the curse and pulled out her wand. She aimed at the man who attacked her and shot out a hex. The man’s legs instantly went jelly and fell on the floor. It was unwise of him to attack the girl who hit nine out of the ten things she aimed for. Hermione started running to catch up. More death eaters suddenly appeared. Confused, Hermione ran even faster. What happened to the anti-apparation spells on the school, she thought to herself. By the time Ginny reached Harry and Ron, there were enough death eaters there to surround them in a tiny circle.

“Stupid children,” one of them said. “Have no idea what you’ve got yourself into.”

Another laughed. Ginny suddenly shuddered. There was something about that laugh that was eerily familiar. She then spun herself around to look at the man, and her jaw dropped. “No…” she whispered before she launched herself onto the black figure and started pulling at his mask.

“Impedimenta!” shouted another death eater, and Ginny froze, but not quickly enough, for she already pulled half the mask off, and the man behind the mask sent Ron, Harry, and Hermione into a series of unbelieving gasps. Ron stumbled forward to take a closer look.

“D..dad?” he whispered incredulously. “No…this can’t…be…” He reached out his arm, trying to touch the man that looked like his father, but couldn’t possibly be.

“Petrificus totalus!” hollered a death eater, and Ron dropped heavily onto the floor. Harry turned around, and before he could even think about aiming his wand, he was petrified too. Hermione on the other hand, hidden behind a tree, began to throw spells everywhere, not caring where they landed. A death eater then came from behind her and grabbed her by the waist and hit her so she dropped her wand. He carried her into the circle.

“Put her down,” a voice commanded.

The death eater carrying Hermione turned his head to face a teenage boy with platinum blonde hair. “What are you doing here?” he asked rudely.

“You’ll do as I say or face the Dark Lord’s wrath.”

The death eater laughed. “And what makes you think I believe you? Last time I checked, you turned on us and joined these hero wanna-be’s.”

Draco laughed mirthlessly. “Crucio!”

The death eater immediately collapsed onto the floor, squirming with pain.

“I am temporarily borrowing Draco, you fool. Have no mistake that I am the Dark Lord.”

Hermione couldn’t believe her eyes or ears. “Draco…?” she whispered.

Draco turned his head to the girl staring disbelievingly at him. “Silencio!”

The other death eaters, refusing to trust the boy that claimed to be their master, immediately launched all sorts of hexes and curses at him. After the smoke cleared from all the attacks, they were amazed to see the boy still standing there, unharmed, untouched.

“Believe me now?” he said calmly, looking around. A couple of the death eaters gasped.

“Now get out of here.” Immediately, every man that was there disappeared.

Once they were gone, Draco collapsed onto the ground, completely drained of all his energy.

Hermione revived Harry, Ginny, and Ron and told them what Draco had just done. They decided that it would be safest if they tied him up and performed a Carcer curse. The Carcer curse created an impenetrable prison made of light over where Draco lay. It was a good hour before he showed any signs of life, and by then, Ron and Ginny had already returned to their rooms. Draco slowly opened his eyes. The first thing he saw was bright lights.

Am I dead? What just happened…Draco couldn’t move his arms to rub his eyes so he just blinked really hard three or four times. When he could see, he took in his surroundings and concluded that he was in the Forbidden Forest. Oh okay, I’m just caged in like some convict in a place where if I die, no one would notice; so much better. He coughed loudly so the others would notice his conscious state. The first one to look at him was Harry.

“So did you join Voldemort?” Harry asked, wasting no time.

Draco laughed at the question and gave Harry a “do you think I’m an idiot” look.

“Then how did you fend off ten death eaters alone?” Hermione pressed on.

“What the hell are you talking about?” Draco replied angrily, he was still pissed at her.

“You were Voldemort just an hour ago! Don’t pretend you don’t remember!” Hermione continued exasperatedly.

“Well, MAYBE I just don’t remember!” Draco shouted back.

“That was you in there Draco, I know it was you. It couldn’t have been anyone else. So just come forth and admit that you’ve joined Voldemort and we’ll make this quick and painless.”

“Make what quick and painless?” Draco asked with a sneer.

Hermione pulled out a vial of potion and a dagger.

“We gonna act out Romeo and Juliet then?” Draco said sarcastically. “I have to admit, that was the last bloody thing I had in mind.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “Have you heard of Veritaserum Draco?” she asked.

“Who the hell hasn’t, after Harry’s fiasco?”

“Well, this is the newest version of that, and I can assure you, it’s ten times more painful for the victim of it. I’ll need your blood, and it has to be freshly circulated blood.” She looked at his chest.

“You already stabbed me in the heart, why don’t you just use the leftovers of that?”

Hermione winced. She had been so focused on that fact that Draco was evil that she had temporarily forgotten that they were involved. She remained silent, wondering whether or not to give in to the part of her that loved him. Harry, getting impatient, stepped forward and took the contents out of Hermione’s hands.

“Finite Incantatem!” he ordered, pointing his wand at the cage. After the light vanished, he stepped into the little square with Draco. “Don’t move and I’ll try not to purposely cut you,” he muttered under his breath. Draco looked away as Harry cut open his robes.

“You going to pay for my robes, Harry?” Draco asked, looking down at the mess Harry had made. “These are Caltin Cline!”

Harry ignored Draco and continued sawing until he saw bare skin.

“I feel violated,” Draco continued, in a purposefully whiny voice. “If you’re into guy on guy, Harry, that’s great, but take it somewhere else.”

Draco looked at Harry, only to see a malicious grin on his face. “What are you smiling about?” he asked with a suspicious eye, and tried to pull away in vain.

“I’d hold still if I were you,” Harry warned, then he put the sharp tip of the knife to Draco’s chest and pushed down hard. Draco wanted to scream at the pain, but his pride wouldn’t let him. Instead, he bit hard onto his lip and thought of ways to get revenge on Harry.

“Alright, I think that’s enough,” Hermione commented when she saw Draco about to cry out.

“No, just a little more,” Harry replied, not releasing the knife. Hermione walked over to the boys at once and pulled the dagger off of Draco.

“Harry. That’s not funny,” she said, pocketing the knife and giving Harry a cold glare. She took the potion out of Harry’s hand and was about to pour it on Draco when a girl’s voice came from behind them.

“What are you guys doing?” she asked, dangerously and innocently all at once.

They spun around and saw a blonde girl standing there with her wand out and ready to fight.

“Draco, is that you?” she questioned, noticing who they were crowding around.

“Hi Dee!” Draco responded a bit too cheerfully. “If you don’t mind, please blast the nastiest curse you’ve got on these two!” He grinned, but Dee wasn’t amused.

“Harry Potter, out in the Forbidden Forest, at this time of night, performing an illegal curse on a student?” She walked towards them slowly. “And you are?” she asked, motioning her wand towards Hermione.

“Hermione Granger. Head Girl, house of Gryffindor,” she replied proudly.

“Now’s hardly the time to brag,” Dee replied. “Let Draco go.”

“No.”

“Don’t think I’m shy about using this wand, because believe me, I’ve done things I’d rather you not know with it.”

“I’d have to believe her on that one,” Draco added in. Hermione shot him a deadly look, which he ignored with little difficulty.

“I’m not letting him go until I find out what I need to know,” Hermione finished with finality. She pulled out her wand to face the new Slytherin girl if a duel should occur.

Dee sighed. She didn’t want to start off the year making enemies. She slowly put her wand down. “At least stop the bleeding, he looks bloody terrible over there.”

Hermione, surprised, put down her wand too. She gave Dee one last surveying look and turned her attention to Draco. She knelt down on a knee and pulled out a small piece of cloth from her robes.

“Sorry,” she said quietly to Draco while dabbing his wound. “It wasn’t supposed to bleed this long.”

Draco watched as she gently wiped the blood off his chest. He felt himself tense whenever her hand touched his bare skin. His anger slowly tip toed out of him and he replied equally quietly, “It’s okay.”

Hermione looked up at him and caught his eyes for a second, but then he looked away. She took in a deep breath and stood back up. “Alright,” she began. “We just need to pour the potion on him and ask him the questions now.”

“Go right ahead,” Harry encouraged. Dee nodded, although she had no idea why they would need to put a truth spell on Draco. Hermione carefully pulled out the stopper in the vial and tipped the blue potion onto Draco’s wound.

“OW!” Draco cried. “You never told me that part was supposed to burn!”

Hermione forced down a smile. “Oops.”

“Okay, we need to do this fast or it could have some really bad side effects.”

“Like?” Draco questioned.

“Like death,” Hermione replied quickly in one breath. Draco’s jaw dropped.

“What is the last thing you remember?” Hermione asked.

Instead of getting a verbal reply, she got a visual one. Veritaserum Plus was a spell that would show instead of tell the truth. That way, the one in question wouldn’t be able to bend the truth or tell only half truths.

A small version of Draco appeared in front of them, along with a small version of Dee. The longer the images took part in the spell, the more real they became, and Hermione watched as the little versions of the people right next to her hugged. She felt a stab of jealously, but didn’t do anything because she knew what she had done was way worse. Dee then walked off the memory and Draco was alone, sitting on a couch, and then he fell asleep. The memory ended there, which didn’t give Hermione much to go on.

“That’s it?” Hermione asked, disappointed.

“Obviously,” Draco replied, glad that he really didn’t remember anything.

Hermione pointed her wand at Draco’s heart and ended the spell. She started to turn around when Draco requested, “Uh, can you let me go now?”

“Huh? Oh, right. Finite Incantatem!” Hermione replied, taking the binding spell off of Draco.

“Thanks.”

Hermione nodded. Then Dee skipped in between them and took Draco by the arm.

“Common, Draco, it’s getting late, let’s get back to the common room.”

Draco was dragged away before he could say anything else to Hermione.

Barely out of the forest, Draco shook off Dee’s arm and stopped walking. Dee followed his lead.

“What?!” she asked, annoyed that he was turning back.

“I’m not leaving Hermione with that git in the middle of a forest on a dark and unbelievably perfect night for...for God knows what!”

Dee had to run to catch up with Draco’s speed walk. “Why do you care so much?”

“I don’t!” Draco replied, walking even faster.

“You really don’t like Harry, do you?” Dee asked.

“That’s right. I hate that boy. And that is why I am going to save Hermione from him,” Draco lied. Dee laughed.

“And here I thought it was because you liked her.”

Draco stopped in his tracks. Was it so obvious? “What makes you think that?” he asked, looking at her as innocently as he could.

“You two were in your own little world while she performed that curse. Hell, Harry and I could have started making out right then and there and neither of you would have noticed! Plus, she looked hurt when she saw the memory of us hugging; which could only mean that she was in some way involved with you.”

Draco scoffed. “She had no right to look hurt,” he said.

“And I’m guessing that’s where Harry comes in…you caught them doing something?”

“Do you always have to be right?” Draco asked, annoyed that Dee was reading him perfectly.

“I prefer being right than wrong,” Dee replied casually. “You know, you were hard to read at first, but once I found your weak point, I could probably tell you your whole life story just looking at you.”

Draco laughed. “You’d be the first.” He stopped and looked at where they were.

“Did we take a wrong turn? Where are they?” he added, changing the subject.

Dee looked around too. “I don’t know. Maybe they already headed back.”

“We would have ran into them if they did.”

“Oh okay then, we should just leave then. They’d probably like some privacy,” Dee replied.

Draco, after taking a moment to understand what Dee was implying, turned around and glared at her. She smiled playfully and took his arm again.

“Common, I’m sure they’re fine. Let’s go.”

Draco followed reluctantly. He didn’t want to stop the search, but he didn’t want to get Dee in danger either; he knew what kind of things lived in the forest, and who knew what would come out at night that was scarier than what they saw during the day.


Harry quietly followed Hermione’s footsteps back to the castle. He didn’t feel like talking after his embarrassing moment with her, which to him, was only embarrassing because of Draco. So Hermione was the first to talk.

“What do you think happened back there?” she asked. “If Draco really didn’t remember what had happened, that means Voldemort could take over his body at anytime, anywhere, and make him do things then forget about them.”

Harry thought hard. “Well, it sounds a little like what happened to Ginny doesn’t it? Maybe he’s using some link to get to Draco, like the diary he used to get to Ginny.”

“Maybe…” Hermione began, but then Harry suddenly screamed, “Ahhh!” like he was falling down the stairs, and disappeared.

“Harry?” Hermione said as she turned around to face nothing. “Harry, where are you?!”

“Down here!!” Harry hollered back, though it was barely above a whisper to Hermione. She dropped to the ground and started feeling around, and a couple seconds later, she found what she was looking for. Her hand fell right through what looked like solid ground, and she jumped through the invisible hole she uncovered.

“So this is how Voldemort and his men have been mysteriously disappearing!” Hermione whispered.

“Smart girl,” a voice replied, and the last thing Hermione saw were two red eyes.
The Army by Humansitis
Draco and Dee returned shortly to the Slytherin dungeon. Taking off his scarf and getting ready to go up to his room, Draco pointed Dee to her dorm and watched as she skipped up the stairs and disappeared. He went the other way to his private room. On the wooden door a green metal sign reading “Prefect Draco Malfoy” was nailed to it. Draco pushed the heavy door open lazily with one arm, took one big leap, and landed on his bed with a bounce. It forced out all the breath he had held in his chest. His body slowly molded itself into the soft comfy bed and before he even thought about getting under the blankets, he was peacefully asleep.
**

Hermione awoke tied tightly to a badly sanded down wooden stake in the middle of a dark cave. Harry was chained to a stone wall across from her; she could barely see him in the torchlight. “Harry!” she whispered loudly across the room. Harry shook his disheveled head of hair, sending dust particles flying, and looked up half surprised and half happy. He had mud stains all over his sweaty face, which made him look like a cute action figure. Harry put a finger to his pursed lips, but it was too late; Voldemort had already swept into the dungeon with the gracefulness of a swan.

“I’m glad you are awake, Mudblood,” he said as though he were caring.

Hermione viciously glared at Voldemort, although prickly shivers ran continuously through her body at the mere sight of him.

“I have a proposition,” he proposed quietly. “Tell me what I want to know, and I’ll spare your lives for now.” He started pacing the length of the room and although he was simply walking back and forth, he still had the ability to make it look frightening. “That girl I saw tonight with Draco, who is she?”

Hermione looked away stubbornly as Voldemort neared her. Voldemort sneered and grabbed her by the chin with his cold bony fingers and dug his nails into her face. He forced her to look at him and continued, “I said, who is the girl that was with Draco tonight?” Hermione continued to remain silent, glaring menacingly at him while doing so. Voldemort scoffed and let go of her face, only to return his hand to her cheek with a loud crack. Hermione felt herself lose balance as her head met with the wooden pole behind her. She gripped the ropes tied around her wrists with her fingers to steady herself. Harry jumped up and charged at the Dark Lord but was restrained when his chains reached the maximum of their length. Voldemort laughed loudly with his eerie voice, making it echo through the whole dungeon. “Tell me who she is, and I’ll spare your lives,” Voldemort resumed.

Hermione looked him straight in the eyes and responded, “You want to know who she is?” She stopped to look as Voldemort’s greedy face lit up in hopes of an answer. “Your mom,” she finished.

Voldemort’s face went blank for a couple seconds. First confusion came over him, then comprehension, then purified anger. He raised his wand arm to Hermione’s torso and smiled before his cruel lips began to shape the word, “Avada…”

“Wait!” Harry hollered, kicking a foot hard on the ground, hurling chunks of dirt onto Voldemort’s cloak. Voldemort turned around irritated. “Her name is Dee,” Harry confided ashamedly.

“Dee?” Voldemort repeated, scrunching up his eyes with suspicion. “Where is she from? Why is she here?”

“I don’t know,” Harry replied truthfully.

“Don’t lie boy!” Voldemort hissed, striding over to him.

“If you have a question for me, why don’t you just ask yourself?”

Voldemort spun around mid step to see a blonde hair boy standing at the entrance of the cave wearing a white shirt, black slacks, and a long coat protecting it all.

“Draco,” Voldemort greeted in surprise. “You are earlier than I expected.”

Draco sneered. “What are they doing here?” he asked, pointing towards Harry and Hermione.

“They conveniently stumbled into our lair. I thought it would be hospitable to let them spend the night after a long day,” Voldemort replied sardonic smile.

Draco laughed without mirth and walked towards Hermione. He gently placed a hand on her cheek, which warmed him up immediately. Hermione pulled back at the touch of his freezing hand and watched him concernedly as he enjoyed her warmth. She had never been the warmer one of them two, but then again, he had never talked to Voldemort like they were old friends before. Draco leaned in without warning and placed a soft kiss on her lips, keeping their eyes locked the whole time. Hermione couldn’t read his eyes or expression; they were so detached and gray, she could barely tell that it was human. He then turned his head and looked at Harry, who was watching them carefully. “I know you want her, Harry,” he said simply. “But you just couldn’t wait could you?”

Harry felt a lurch in his stomach. “Leave her alone, Malfoy,” Harry warned, his breathing was fierce and anger boiled dangerously inside his chest.

Draco laughed. “Or what? You’ll talk me to death? I’ll do whatever I want Potter.” He turned back to Hermione and this time kissed her with more force. Hermione squirmed and managed to say into his mouth, “Draco, stop this…” She felt his lips widen into a smile, and he pulled away.

He sighed, bored of provoking Harry. “Let them go,” Draco said in a commanding voice towards Voldemort. “They won’t remember any of this anyway; you saw how well it worked on me, not even a truth spell could pull it out of my mind.”

“Very well,” the Dark Lord replied. And with one swift wave of his hand, Harry and Hermione were sent through the vortexes in the roof and asleep on the ground in the middle of the Forbidden Forest.

Draco walked out of the room and entered a much grander one that was lined with gold and had furniture and proper lighting. He sat down on the nearest couch and waited for Voldemort to join him.

“Dee is a student from Germany,” he said as he observed the Dark Lord walking in.

“How much does she know?” Voldemort responded.

“About what? I told her nothing. She knows nothing about you.”

“Good. Keep it that way,” he replied.

Draco nodded and got up. “Well, if you’ve nothing for tonight, I should head back to my room.”

“Be ready for a mission tomorrow.”

“What do you plan on having me do?” Draco asked curiously.

“You will see…”Voldemort replied as he walked away.

Draco watched him leave then quickly levitated himself through the vortex that transported him to his room.

**
“How’d you do that?!” a girl asked.

Draco jumped back and stared wide eyed at Dee, who was sitting patiently on his bed.

“What are you doing in here?!” Draco asked angrily.

“I need a pillow! There weren’t any pillows on the bed…probably because no one was occupying that room during the school year, but that’s not an issue anymore. How did you just appear out of thin air in the middle of Hogwarts, a place packed with anti-everything spells?!”

Draco raised an eyebrow. “What are you talking about?” he asked confused.

“What do you mean what am I talking about?!” Dee replied, twice as confused. “You just apparated inside Hogwarts!”

“Don’t be ridiculous!” Draco laughed. When Dee didn’t join him, he frowned. “I was here the whole time! I just finished a book, and was putting in back on the shelf. It’s you who decided to pop in here and surprise me.”

Dee narrowed her eyes. “Something isn’t right here,” she said as she stood up. Before Draco could do anything, Dee drew out her wand and paralyzed him, sending him sideways onto his bed.

“I think I know why your friends were performing that truth spell on you now, Draco.”

“Hmwaimmmma,” Draco replied, unable to speak because his mouth wouldn’t move.

Dee ignored him and pinned him down on the bed by straddling him. “Now be still, this might hurt a little,” she said as she stabbed her wand into his chest. Draco let out a muffled howl. Dee’s wand went straight through his chest. Draco watched with wide eyes, amazed that he was still alive. Dee was muttering something under her breath when suddenly a bright light hit her. She swung her head back and seemed to disappear into the light. The light left as she let out the breath of air she was holding. Immediately after she came back to earth, she bounced off Draco and ran to the nearest wall.


“Hmmmat!” Draco cried.

“You’re…” Dee began, but the shock in her was too big for her to be able to finish the sentence.
**
Hermione woke up to a pair of green eyes gazing worryingly at her.

“Harry?” she asked.

“I woke up and found us asleep in the forest,” Harry said immediately. “And I can’t go up to the girl’s dormitories so I brought you to my room.”

Hermione sat up. “How’d we fall asleep in the middle of the forest?!”

“I don’t know.”

She blinked as she thought of the possibilities. “Draco.”

At once, she jumped off Harry’s bed and was down the stairs and out of the portrait hole. Harry ran to catch up to her. Within a minute they were standing in front of the Slytherin portrait hole.

“Now what?” Harry asked.

“Diablo!” Hermione said to the portrait, and it swung open.

“How’d you know the password?!” Harry exclaimed.

“Draco told me,” Hermione replied simply. Harry glared as she walked past him, not wanting to know why Draco gave her the password. Hermione automatically walked towards Draco’s room, leaving Harry to follow her curiously. She opened the door and saw Draco lying in a very awkward position on the bed. She walked over to him, but then someone behind her warned, “Stay away from him.”

She turned to face Dee, who had her wand out, pointed at Draco. “What are you doing here?” Hermione asked angrily, then shot Draco a dirty look.

“I was going to ask him for a pillow when he mysteriously apparated into his room,” Dee replied.

Hermione sigh loudly and said, “You CAN’T apparate on Hogwarts grounds!! Read Hogwarts: A History people!!”

“I know!” Dee exclaimed. “That’s why I bound him with a paralyzing spell.”

She took a step towards Hermione and Draco. “He’s not who you think he is, Hermione. He’s very dangerous.”

Hermione gripped the wand inside her robes. “What do you know about him?’

“More than you know,” Dee replied.

Hermione turned around to look at Draco, who was lying helplessly on his bed. “Finite Incantatem!” she commanded as she pulled out her wand.

Dee gasped and took two steps back. Draco sat up and looked up at Hermione.

“Is what she said true?” she asked him.

“What? The apparating crap?!” Draco responded, somewhat offended. “You know no one can do that on Hogwarts grounds.”

“I don’t know what to believe anymore,” Hermione said, plopping herself on the floor, burying her head in her hands. “Harry woke up in the forest, and we don’t remember how we fell asleep, or anything else about late tonight for that matter.”

Draco raised an eyebrow. “And this has to do with me how?”

“The last person we were with was you, Draco,” Hermione replied. “Do you have something to tell us?”

“No!” Draco said, frustrated. “Why do you guys have to keep accusing me?! Wasn’t that truth spell enough to prove that I’m innocent? Do you have to keep riding me until I become evil? Is that what you want?!”

Hermione stood up and placed a hand on Draco’s soft cheek. “Of course not. But there’s just so many things that can’t be explained. And Dee said that you apparated into your room, and”“

“You believe her?!” Draco shouted incredulously.

“I saw Death Eaters apparate on the grounds Draco!” Hermione replied equally loud. “So unless if you have some Nobel Prize explanation to all of this, then yes, I do believe her!”

“Are you calling me a Death Eater?” Draco whispered dangerously.

“That’s not what I said!” Hermione replied, throwing her arms in the air.

“Get out.” Draco stood up and glared at the three unwelcome beings in his room. “I SAID GET OUT!”

Harry gladly opened the door and left; Dee followed with much speed. Hermione stood firm in her spot. Draco took her by the arm and pulled her to the door.

“Draco, stop!” she wailed with difficulty. “I’m going to get to the bottom of this!” Hermione said, as she kicked him in the shin.

“OW!” Draco yelled, bending over to hold his leg. Hermione shut the door and locked it. She then pushed Draco onto his bed and walked towards him.

“I’m not going to bind you or use any spell on you. I just want you to talk to me. Tell me the truth Draco. Please…I’m going crazy here! I just want the truth from you…” Hermione cried exasperatedly, breaking into tears.

Draco sighed and slid off the bed. He held her tightly, steadying her shaking as she cried.

“Hermione,” he said into her hair. “I really don’t know what Dee is talking about. I swear. And I don’t know what happened in the forest, or why Death Eaters can apparate on the school grounds. What I do know is that I’m telling you the truth. Okay?”

Hermione sniffed and looked up into Draco’s eyes. They were honest enough; she nodded and buried her head into his chest.
**

Harry paced angrily around the Slytherin common room while Dee sat herself on a couch watching him, slightly amused.

“Draco can’t be trusted you know,” she said at last. Harry stopped walking and looked at her.

“What do you know about him?” he asked, all too ready to hear anything that would discredit Draco’s newfound personality.

“I know I saw him apparate into his room. I know he’s working with Voldemort. What I don’t know is how he’s hiding it so well. I think he’s even hiding it from himself somehow…that’s why he’s so good at playing innocent. Hermione had better stay away from him. He’s dangerous.”

Harry stared at her for two seconds then charged at Draco’s door. It easily flew open, which in return sent Harry into Draco’s bookshelf. But Harry didn’t just stop at the bookshelf, for it swung with the force that hit it and sent Harry through the wall. Harry screamed and ran out the other way, back into Draco’s room. Draco stood up, holding Hermione in his arms.

“How’d…how’d you do that?!” Draco shouted. “Where’d that go?!”

“Why don’t you tell me, Draco?” Harry replied nastily. He pulled out his wand and pointed it at Draco. “Is there something you would like to share before I kill you?”

Hermione stepped in front of Draco and pushed Harry’s wand towards the ground. “Harry, cut this out. Slytherin dungeons have secret chambers everywhere, there’s a good chance Draco really didn’t know about that one!”

“Why don’t you explain this then?” Harry asked as he forcefully took Hermione by the shoulder and shoved her at the shelf. Hermione flew through the wall, screamed, and reappeared on the other side.

“So? You were going to explain how Draco could possibly not know about that,” Harry said.

“I…” Hermione began, but stepped behind Harry. Draco furrowed his eyebrows and walked to the shelf, putting a steady hand on it. He turned his head to look at the two frightened teenagers behind him.

“I really don’t know what’s behind this…” he said finally before he pushed his hand and walked with the bookshelf’s swing. It was completely dark in the room. Draco walked further into the room and suddenly everything lit up. There were rows and rows of stone boulders filling the room; all with something round and shiny on it. Draco walked closer to look at one of them and when he saw a blonde baby with red slit eyes and nostrils like a deadly snake’s, he stumbled back with fear and ran back through the wall. He was so out of breath when he reappeared in his room that he didn’t have time to see that Harry was going to stupefy him. He was knocked out before he could plead innocence.
**

Voldemort entered Arthur Weasley’s underground compartment. The red haired man was sitting peacefully on the floor, as if he were meditating.

“Arthur,” Voldemort said, bringing his presence to the man’s attention. Mr. Weasley looked up and smiled.

“What can I do for you Tom?”

“For the millionth time, do not call me Tom,” Voldemort replied annoyed.

“Oh right, sorry Tom,” Arthur apologized. Voldemort rolled his eyes and decided to blame the man’s stupidity on the spell he was under.

“I need you to go to Hogwarts tonight.”

“What for?” Arthur asked suspiciously.

“Pay your respects to Dumbledore, of course. We can’t have you suddenly disappear with no explanation. You will make up a nice believable story during your visit to a sick old friend; I’m sure he’ll pass it along to your family. Otherwise, Molly will worry and stick her nose in places it doesn’t belong.”

Arthur stared blankly at him for a moment, and then nodded. “Then I shall be off.”

“Wait!” Voldemort said, offering a bottle of wine to him. “Give this as a present to the Headmaster. And drink this before you go,” he finished, handing Arthur a red vial of potion.

Arthur downed the magical liquid in one gulp and disappeared through a vortex, holding a nice bottle of 1787 Chateau Lafite.
**

Harry, Hermione, and Dee headed to the library to research spells that could make someone forget something they’ve done, but as Hermione had said, it was already closed; Harry, familiar with breaking and entering, shoved the lame excuse to leave out of the way, and covered them with his invisibility cloak (which he summoned), then walked straight into the restricted section.

“So what exactly are we looking for?” he whispered.

“Anything on Memory spells, maybe even confusion spells,” Hermione replied.

“Don’t forget illegal spells,” Dee added in.

Harry nodded and started scanning the shelves.

“I think we’d be faster if we divide and conquer,” Dee commented after a while.

“But there’s only one invisibility cloak,” Harry reminded her.

“So? I know a couple tricks of my own. Hermione and I can use the invisibility spell.”

“But that’s dangerous! Do you know what could happen if we messed up?!” Hermione said, a bit louder than Harry felt comfortable.

“We won’t mess up, I’ve done it tons of times, don’t worry. I’ll cast it on the both of us so you don’t have to stress.”

Hermione bit her lip, but decided that that was the best thing to do.

Harry stepped back so the two of them had their space, then Dee took her wand, circled it on top of Hermione’s and her own head, and muttered, “Invisum!” They instantly vanished in front of Harry’s eyes.

“Did it work?” Hermione asked, afraid to open her eyes.

“Yeah! I can’t see you anymore!” Harry responded excitedly. “Dee, you gotta show me that spell later!”

Dee laughed and replied, “Alright, but let’s find those books and get the hell outta here.”

“Wait, before you go…launch red sparks for danger and white sparks for found something, okay?” Hermione said.

Dee nodded, but then said yes, remembering that a nod was useless when she was invisible.

Harry had already skipped off to another shelf, being familiar with the code.

Hermione was searching a row of reversal spells to memory charms when a light in the hallway caught her eye. She immediately launched bright red flames into the air and quietly neared the door to see who it was. She didn’t have to see any more than the bright red head bobbing up and down in the dark hallway to know who it was. Unable to wait for Harry and Dee, she opened the door and quietly slipped out.
**

Ron awoke to a violent shake.

“Heavens sake Ron! Are you deaf or dead?!” Ginny cried.

Ron groaned and pushed his sister’s hand off of his shoulder, turning to face the wall.

“Ronald Weasley, get your lazy butt up this instant!” Ginny threatened, pulling out her wand. That got Ron’s attention with much more effect, he sat up and gave Ginny an annoyed look.

“What do you want Gin?” he asked aggravated.

“Where’s Hermione and Harry?” she asked, putting her wand away.

“I dunno,” he responded lazily, straightening his hair by patting his head in random places.

“What if something went wrong?!” Ginny replied, angered that her brother didn’t seem to care that their two best friends were missing.

“Fine! We’ll go look for them, but I’m telling you now, we probably won’t see them.”

Ginny huffed at his pessimistic attitude and walked out of the room so he could get dressed.
**

Draco was revived shortly after Dee, Hermione, and Harry had gone on their search for books on spells. Voldemort was to thank, but Draco didn’t feel like thanking him.

“What the hell are those things behind that wall?” Draco asked testily.

Voldemort smiled. “It’s sad you don’t remember my boy. We created them together.”

Draco felt something come up from his stomach and was unable to keep it down when the acid touched his throat. He leaned forward, pulled the Dark Lord in and vomited down his robes. Voldemort let out a disgusted cry and pushed Draco away.

“Damn boy! These are my only robes!”

Draco looked up greenly and gave him a smirk. “That’ll teach you to harass innocent boys.”

“What on Earth are you talking about?!” Voldemort replied, still looking down at his ruined robes.

“Those…” Draco began, pointing his index finger to the bookshelf. “Those things in there! They look like me! Except they look like you! What did you do to me?!”

Voldemort laughed shrilly. “Only what I was meant to do to you. You are the key. You are what will make me the strongest immortal on this earth. It is your purpose in life Draco.”

“What do you mean I’m the key?” Draco replied in a dangerously low voice. “The key to what?”

“When your father told me he was expecting a new child, he wanted to kill you so that nothing could stand in his way of serving me, but I suggested that he use you to better serve me. You see, you had a brother before you were born, but unfortunately, he did not make it. Lucius did not want to suffer the loss of a child again, so he thought it would be easier to kill you before he knew you. I told him that would be a waste of a good pureblood. I convinced him to make you before you were actually made. You are not real, Draco. You are what we created, your father and I. We fed your mother with specially prepared foods so that your genetics would be changed to specifically suit your job. And your job is to make my perfect army. My sons.”

Draco felt another lurch in his stomach, but passed out before he could retch again.
**

“Headmaster?”

Dumbledore looked up from his bed and was surprised to see a lanky man with bright red hair standing at his bedpost holding a bottle of fine wine.

“Ar-Arthur?” Dumbledore asked weakly.

“Please, lie back down,” Mr. Weasley replied, gently pushing the old man onto his pillow.

“We thought- we thought we had lost you! Ginny came by earlier today with some very interesting news.”

“And what has my little girl been up to now?” Mr. Weasley asked with a dashing smile.

“Tell me Arthur, what have you been doing lately? Leaving without telling your family, or the ministry?”

“I’ve been doing some undercover work, but since Ginny and Ron already saw what I was doing, I figured it was safe to come out and visit the people I love before they get the wrong idea.”

“Why didn’t you tell me that you were going to do such a dangerous task?” Dumbledore asked, narrowing his eyebrows. “I would have had Snape watch over you.”

“I don’t need to be watched over anymore Headmaster, I’m not one of your little students.”

Dumbledore frowned slightly at the man with emotionless eyes and fake sympathy.

“Anyway,” Arthur resumed, feeling uncomfortable under Dumbledore’s gaze. “I brought you this fine bottle of wine.”

He tilted the wine bottle so Dumbledore could read the label. Dumbledore smiled slightly.

“Care to share it with me?” he asked, not sure whether he should trust the present or not.

“How could I possibly turn you down?” Mr. Weasley replied as he conjured two wine glasses.

He poured a half-glass of wine for each and smiled again before he drank the wine. Dumbledore watched him intently.

“What?” he asked, looking at the untouched cup in Dumbledore’s hand.

“Nothing,” Dumbledore replied, and he took a sip of the drink. It felt like a warm wave washing over him and he felt himself floating away from reality and into his sweet dreams.
**

Draco groaned and clutched his stomach as he pushed himself off the ground. He slowly stood up to prevent a head rush and then clumsily walked to the door and headed out of the Slytherin dungeons. He walked toward Gryffindor tower when he heard feet shuffling near the statue that guarded Dumbledore’s office. He turned his head to look in that direction, but no one was there. He rubbed his head, thinking he was hearing things. He continued to walk, but picked up the pace. Then, when he was sure there was someone following him, he spun around and pulled out his wand.

“Who’s there?” he growled, not in the best mood. More shuffling. He turned his head toward the sound and followed it. Suddenly, he launched himself into the air, but unfortunately, nothing stopped his direct hit to the floor (which was what he was hoping for). “Ow, damn it,” he murmured to himself, rubbing where his shoulder hit the ground. Then he heard a soft laugh.

“Okay, if you’re going to be a little ghost, at least be silent,” he said irritated, then pushed himself back up.

“Finite Incantatem” he heard a familiar voice say, and Hermione appeared right in front of his eyes. She grinned mischievously at him. He rolled his eyes and continued walking the other way.

“I thought you were afraid of me,” he said coldly when he heard her trace his footsteps.

“Whoever said I was ‘afraid of you’?” she asked somewhat offended.

“Well, you sure were quick to hide behind Harry and knock me out before I had any chance to explain what was going on in the other room,” Draco nearly yelled, turning around to face her.

Hermione’s smile disappeared. “So you do know what that is?”

Draco frowned. “Well, yeah, now I do, thanks to you and Harry.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?”

Draco threw his arms up in the air and cried, “AUGH!” in a frustrated sense. Then he turned his back on Hermione again and took a step, but Hermione caught his shoulder and spun him around. Draco winced at the pain, but didn’t say anything.

“I asked you a question. What were those…things in that room? And why is it ‘thanks to me and Harry’ that you know what they are now?”

“Let’s just say daddy dearest paid me a visit,” Draco replied bitterly.

“Lucius came?” Hermione replied, rather surprised.

“Hahahah, that’s what you’d think. No, Voldemort came.”

Hermione raised an eyebrow. “Voldemort? No offense, but you look nothing like Voldemort. And be assured, that’s a good thing.”

Draco smiled and looked down at his feet, letting his hair fall into his eyes.

“I can’t do this any more Hermione,” Draco said at last, moving his foot like he was squashing something on the floor.

“Do what?” Hermione asked, honestly curious.

“This.“Talk with you as if we were friends. Work with you as if I am a good guy. Look at you as if I loved you.”

Hermione’s heart started jumping a little faster. “Draco, what’s wrong?”

“I’m not…I’m not what you’re looking for Hermione,” he said slowly, looking up at her. Hermione sighed and looked deep into his familiar blue gray eyes, her heart melted away as she saw all his pain and sadness. She slowly rose on her tiptoes, brought her lips to his, and locked her arms around his neck so he couldn’t pull away. He didn’t resist for long, and soon he was kissing her back with equal passion. When Hermione finally pulled out for air, she whispered raggedly, “Why don’t you let me be the judge of that?”

Draco smiled and pulled her into a long snuggling hug.
First Day Back by Humansitis
Returning from winter break, the Gryffindors quietly whispered to each other as they walked into the common room. On the couch across from the fireplace there was a man with platinum blonde hair holding a girl with curly, soft brown hair in a comfortable sleep. They looked so peaceful, but then Dean Thomas strode in and immediately screamed, “WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON HERE?!” Hermione flipped, literally, and fell off the couch, hitting the table nearby before crashing loudly onto the floor. She rubbed her back, taking in a sharp breath, all the while glaring at Dean. Draco on the other hand was still dead asleep on the couch. Dean raised an eyebrow at her and motioned his head towards Draco.

”What were you doing?” he asked, trying to keep a sane tone in his voice. Hermione looked around at all the curious students watching the show. She sighed and silently cursed herself for forgetting that the spring term started tomorrow morning.

“I was sleeping,” she replied innocently. “That is until you rudely barged in and scared the bejesus out of me!” she concluded, with a very unfriendly tone.

Dean didn't bother to remove the scowl from his face as he took one final step, placed a hand on Draco's chest, and forcefully shook the boy. Draco groaned and swung an arm, hitting Dean directly on the nose. Dean yelled and fell back, holding his bloody nose. Draco then finally flashed his eyes open and sat up.

“You crazy bastard!” Dean nasally shouted at him. Draco turned his head to the floor and immediately understood why his hand hurt. “'Oops” was all he managed to say. Hermione rolled her eyes and stood up.

“All right everyone, show's over, go to your rooms,” she demanded. All the sixth years and under left obediently, but Seamus, Lavender, Parvati, and Dean remained.

“Have you gone insane?” Lavender asked worriedly, looking at Hermione. “Do you know who that is?” she continued, pointing at Draco, who still looked like he was asleep. “That's DRA-CO MAL-FOY, our ENE-MEEEE. You know? Slytherin? House of all evil wizards?!” she finished, making sure to emphasize all the important words. Parvati and Seamus stifled a laugh.

“I'm not evil,” Draco said stupidly as he yawned.

”You just punched Dean in the nose!” Seamus yelled.

”He woke up me! He deserved that,” Draco replied, as if that would vindicate his actions.

”Draco!” Hermione scolded, giving him the eye. “You're not helping here!”

Draco shrugged and got off the couch. “I'll go back to my room then.” He gave Hermione a kiss on the cheek and headed out the portrait hole. Everyone stared at Hermione once he was gone. Ron, Ginny, and Harry walked in on the uncomfortable silence.

“What's going on here?” Harry asked.

“Hermione and Draco were just sleeping together on that couch,” Parvati replied.

“We're gonna need something to clean it,” Seamus commented, looking at the couch like it was slimy, green slug. “You know, make sure Draco's evilness didn't rub off on it.”

“Ha. Ha. Ha. You're so funny,” Hermione replied sarcastically.

“WELL?!” Parvati continued, now directing the conversation towards the newly arrived party.

“Well what?” Ginny asked.

“Aren't you going to say something?! Hermione, number one student, perfect role model, Head Girl for crying out loud is dating Draco Malfoy! Whom I don't even want to go into...”

“Yeah. Pretty weird isn't it?” Ron responded.

Parvati dropped her jaw. “Aren't you going to talk to her about it? Make her see the light? Help her through whatever quarter life crisis she's going through?!” She then suddenly turned to Hermione. “You're not under some potion are you?” she asked, cupping her hands sympathetically around Hermione's face.

Hermione laughed and pushed the drama queen's hands off. “Draco has changed.”

“Oh dear,” Lavender said. “That's what the girl always says before she catches the guy cheating on her.”

Hermione stared at the ceiling and took in a deep breath. “Can we just forget about this for the rest of tonight? I'm tired.” Dean, having finally stopped the bleeding with a spell that Harry showed him, stood up and wiped off his face.

“Fine. But we're going to talk about this tomorrow. Don't think we'll forget.” He gave Hermione one last glare before he and Seamus went up to the boys' dormitories. Lavender and Parvati made an unsure face but then left too. That left Hermione, Harry, Ron, and Ginny to themselves in the common room.

“Whew, can't wait 'til tomorrow,” Harry said sarcastically as he sat in his chair.

Hermione smiled and plopped down on hers. Ron and Ginny followed. They sat there for a while all thinking about their own thoughts, then Ron spoke.

“So you DID use a contraceptive right?” he asked Hermione.

“What?” Hermione asked confused. Once she was on the same page with him, she screamed,
”RON! EW! NO!”

“No?! Hermione! You should know better!” Ron replied equally loud.

“NO as in I did not SLEEP with Draco, I simply slept with him. As in I was fully clothed, he was fully clothed and we were both sleeping, FULLY CLOTHED.”

“Oh,” Ron stated rather disappointed. “Well that takes all the fun out of it.”

Hermione threw a pillow at her best friend and huffed. Ginny and Harry couldn't stop laughing.

**

Draco returned to a crowded Slytherin common room. Everyone had returned for school and were now trying to get to their rooms. He pushed his way through the crowd and finally found an open leather couch to crash on. He was about to close his eyes when Crabbe and Goyle made their presence clear by chewing loudly and making loud, smelly burps. He sat up and looked behind him.

“Hiya Draco,” Crabbe waved.

“Hi Crabbe. Goyle,” Draco greeted. “How was your break?”

“I made three Mudbloods cry!” Crabbe exclaimed happily.

Draco didn't change his facial expression, for it wasn't like him to let others know how he truly felt, but inside he wanted to punch Crabbe.

“My father has been telling me good things about you, Draco,” Goyle said more intelligently.

“Oh really?” Draco asked, raising an eyebrow. “And what exactly has he been telling you?”

“I heard you have become the Dark Lord's second man! Good on you mate!”

Draco smiled his old smile (which was really a combination of a sneer and a smile) and nodded his head. Right now, he was determined to make everyone think he was still on Voldemort's side.

“So uh... how was your break Draco?” Crabbe asked.

“Mine? Eventful. Like Goyle said, I have joined the Dark Lord. Oh, and I'm dating Mudblood Granger,” he replied.

“GRANGER?! Hermione Granger?!” Goyle practically yelled. All the kids inside the room turned to look at what was going on.

“Keep it down Goyle,” Draco scolded. “What are you looking at?!” he yelled at the younger students, who immediately tried to get into their rooms a bit faster.

“I'm just using her. She's Harry's girl right? What better way to get inside the group?”

Crabbe laughed evilly. “That's brilliant.”

Goyle nodded in agreement. Draco looked up happily at his two friends and smirked.

**

“Minerva!” Snape called urgently, barging into Professor McGonagall's office. “Minerva!”

“What?! What is it Severus?” she asked alarmed.

“It's the Headmaster,” Snape replied quietly. Professor McGonagall gasped and covered her mouth. She looked at Snape to see if he meant what she thought he meant. He gave her a small nod. She gasped again and felt around for something to keep her balanced, and when the only thing she could find was Professor Snape, she leaned herself against him and started sobbing. Professor Snape, completely caught off guard, turned his head right and left before he put a comforting hand on her back.

”You do know what this means right?” he asked after a while.

McGonagall wiped away her tears and took in a brave breath. She nodded.

“Everything is going to be all right Minerva. We believe in you. Dumbledore had faith in you, in all of us. We can keep this school safe.”

She nodded again and whispered a good night before disappearing behind her office door. Professor Snape remained where he was, not sure what to do from there.

**

Moody had called a meeting at Grimmauld Place that night. Most of the Order showed up, Dung Fletcher being the last, and not surprisingly, drunk. They all took their seats quietly and sat in silence for a while, no one knowing where to begin. Mrs. Weasley was trying her best not to cry, Charlie and Bill were comforting her. Then Moody stood up and walked over to Dumbledore's chair.

“Tonight our friend has been taken away from us,” he began, putting his hands on the chair like it was Dumbledore's shoulders. “He was...he was the greatest man I have ever known. Kind and fair to everyone he met, loved by all, and respected.” He took in a deep breath, pushing back any urge to cry.

“I am not going to let his death go un-avenged. Tomorrow, we will be put to the ultimate test. There is no doubt that this is the doing of Voldemort. Hogwarts resumes tomorrow, and I do not wish for us to close it, for it would only make the Dark Lord think we are scared. Albus believed in us all, he knows we can keep the school safe. We must keep Hogwarts safe. For him.” He paused. “Minerva. You know what this means now, don't you?”

Professor McGonagall, eyes glistening with unshed tears, unwillingly nodded her head. Professor Snape watched with concern.

“We will be with you every step of the way, Minerva,” he assured her.

“We all will,” Tonks added in. “We should all take positions at the school starting tomorrow. We'll be the extra security and keep an eye on the children.”

“Leave the media to me,” Shacklebolt said quietly. “I'll make sure they don't cause unneeded panic. And I'll keep things at the Ministry under control too.”

Moody nodded. “Alright,” he said softly. “We will also need a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. We need the whole school staff to be on board. Who here wants to do it?”

Snape's eyes lit up. “I could take on that class along with Potions,” he offered.

Moody looked at him hard, then agreed. “A ceremony will be held next Saturday in honor of Albus Dumbledore on Hogwarts grounds so both students and teachers may pay their respects. See you there.” Moody then Disapparated.

Slowly, every member of the Order followed after speaking consoling words to each other.

**

Breakfast the first day back was extra rowdy. Everyone was everywhere and no one seemed to notice that their Headmaster was not present. Professor McGonagall had to perform many spells and curses before she finally got the students' attention.

“Children!” she reprimanded. “Sit down and be quiet!”

Everyone looked up at the Headmistress and obeyed. McGonagall was so frustrated and tired now that she didn't have the energy to be sad anymore.

“Last night Headmaster Dumbledore passed away.”

Instantly, the room erupted with noise. One kid shouted, “WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!”

“ENOUGH!” McGonagall screamed. Then she cast a silencing charm on all the students.
”Hogwarts is still safe, rest assured. School will continue as usual. In every hallway on every floor there will be an adult supervising. These are trained wizards and witches, do not try to pull off anything stupid. If you see anything peculiar or have any concerns you may talk to them. A ceremony for Headmaster Dumbledore will be held on Saturday. All are invited and encouraged to attend. You may resume your breakfast.”

She sat back down and started eating, apparently comfortable with the complete silence. Then Hagrid cleared his throat. “Um, Professor, I mean, Headmistress?”

She looked up at the giant and gave him a questioning look.

“You might want to take that silence charm off the kids.”

She blinked then said, “Oh! Right.” She finished the spell and the students immediately started talking, but were much better about the noise level this time. She smiled and finished her breakfast.

**

“Today, I have a special treat for all of you!” Hagrid said merrily once class began.

“Oh no,” Draco whispered to Crabbe and Goyle. “What's the lunatic gonna make us do now.”

Hermione, having overheard him, shot him a cold glare. He grinned at her and mouthed, “I still think Hagrid's a lunatic!”

Hermione rolled her eyes and turned her head back to the front of the class. Harry looked back to give Draco a glare too. Draco smirked and whispered something to Goyle, who laughed at what he said. Goyle then grinned at Harry, which made Harry very uneasy. Hagrid came back into sight carrying three large, glass jars of something. The students took a step back as he put the jars on the ground.

“This, my friends, is something you don't see everyday!” he told them while putting on big rubber gloves. He carefully opened one of the lids and let the gooey blue thing inside crawl out of the jar. It moved like a slug; it sort of slid in a very slow and unbearable fashion all the while leaving a trail behind it. It headed towards the students and they all immediately jumped back. Hagrid laughed and walked over to the thing.

“This is called a Duplicat. It does exactly what it sounds like; it duplicates.” Hagrid dropped a coin on the ground and immediately the Duplicat transformed itself, on contact, to look identical to the coin. The class gasped in amazement then burst out into cheers. Hagrid smiled, finally able to give the students a good time. He turned around to get the other two jars when Draco shoved his way over to the Duplicat and began to pick it up off the floor. He was suddenly launched back into the students with an electrical force. Hagrid turned around and widened his eyes as he realized what had happened.

“Draco!” Hermione screamed, running to him. “Hagrid! What happened?!”

“He ain't supposed to touch it! You have to get him to the hospital wing immediately,” Hagrid replied hurriedly. Without another word, Hermione pulled Draco up and started running towards the school. Harry and Ron, seeing how difficult is was for her to carry Draco all by herself, stepped forward to help, but Crabbe and Goyle shoved them back and helped Hermione escort Draco to the hospital.

**

Immediately after they entered, Madam Pomfrey pointed out a bed to lie the unconscious boy on, as if she was expecting it. Then she ran into another room to get a mixture of potions.

“What happened?” Crabbe asked Hermione.

“I don't know. I've read an article on Duplicats in the Daily Prophet before, but all I remember is that they are a rare newfound species.”

“Who are poisonous and will give you an electrical experience if you touch them, literally,” Madam Pomfrey finished for her, reappearing with an armful of vials and equipment.

“You see how his finger has turned blue? The Duplicat's poison is planting itself there and will soon spread through his whole body if I don't get this vaccination into him fast enough.”

“Will...will he die?” Crabbe asked, on the verge of tears. Hermione glared at him, which only made him burst into loud, uncontrollable sobs.

“Mr. Goyle, will you please escort your friend outside? I do not need this noise inside my hospital; especially when I'm about to perform a dangerous procedure.”

Goyle frowned and pulled Crabbe away. “We'll return to class and visit him later,” he told Hermione as he left. Hermione watched them leave with confusion. Why are they being so nice to me, she thought to herself. But her thoughts were brushed away when she saw Madam Pomfrey pull out an amputating device from her bag.

“What...what's that for?” she asked, not really wanting to hear the answer.

“The only way to stop the poison from spreading is to cut off where it is planted.”

Hermione felt like fainting but kept strong for Draco. She walked over to the other side of the bed and held his hand. Even when he wasn't conscious he was still warm. She watched as the nurse cleaned the blade of the knife.

“Can I help with anything?”

Madam Pomfrey looked up at Hermione and after studying her determined expression, smiled.

”Here, give him this,” she replied, handing Hermione a yellow vial. “Make sure he drinks every drop of it. It's to make sure he stays asleep for at least ten more minutes, for the surgery.”

Hermione nodded as she took the vial from the nurse. She tilted Draco's head back gently and slowly poured the potion into his mouth. When she was finally able to get him to drink all of it, she looked back up to see the nurse watching her.

“Did I do something wrong?” she asked panicked.

Madam Pomfrey smiled and shook her head. “Have you decided what you are going to do when you are older, Hermione?”

Hermione blinked and shook her head. “I'm not sure yet.”

“You'd make an excellent healer.”

Hermione blushed and smiled to herself. “Thank you.”

Madam Pomfrey nodded, then turned her attention back to the knife. “Okay, there is going to be a lot of bleeding after I cut the infection off, I need you to apply this potion (she pointed to a red bottle) immediately to his finger to stop him from losing too much blood. Can you do that?”

Hermione nodded eagerly and grabbed the bottle while getting into position. She closed her eyes as the knife met Draco's index finger. Once she heard an unpleasant thud, she opened her eyes and carefully dropped a couple of drops onto the half finger. Inside, she was ready to vomit, but that wouldn't fare well for Draco if she did. The potion sealed all the vessels in Draco's finger together so no more blood would pour out. Madam Pomfrey then took out another bottle from her bag. It was labeled, 'PartGro'.

“Let me guess, from the same company as “SkeleGro”,” Hermione asked amused. Madam Pomfrey laughed.

“They're not the best at making creative names,” she replied.

Once the liquid met Draco's mouth, the boy sprung up, and like Harry's reaction to SkeleGro, spit it out.

“AUGH!!! What is that?!” he screamed.

“Draco!” Hermione cried, then launched herself onto him with a hug. Draco fell back onto the bed and let out a small laugh.

“Hey, wasn't that cool?!” he said.

“COOL?!!” Hermione repeated angrily. “You scared me to death! Look, you lost your finger!” she continued, shoving his own hand in his face. Draco paled.

“What did you guys do...” he asked, becoming even paler by the second.

“It's the only way to cure the poison; we had to amputate your finger,” Madam Pomfrey explained.

“Oh no,” Draco said. “NO!!! I was just playing a joke on you guys!!! I did a research on Duplicats a while back and learned all about the dangers of them. Then, when I saw Hagrid come out with them, I made my finger look like an infected finger, and then I used a spell to launch myself back when I bent down to touch it!!! But the spell backfired, and I actually got knocked out when I swung back, so I couldn't tell you guys it wasn't real.”

Hermione's jaw dropped. Madam Pomfrey simply glared at him like he was an asylum patient. Draco turned pink and look down.

“I just wanted to see your reaction. And I didn't even get that,” he admitted embarrassedly to Hermione.

Hermione instantly grabbed his pillow and smacked him as hard as she could on the head.

“NOW WHAT?!” she cried. “You're so stupid Draco! That is the worst joke anyone could have played. AUGH! Boys are so DUMB!” And at that, she stomped out of the hospital. Madam Pomfrey had the same reaction, expect she was more mature about it and simply shoved the bottle of PartGro in his face and walked away saying, “Three goblets every thirty minutes for four hours.” Draco groaned and painfully downed the first dose of medicine.

**

“Arthur,” Voldemort greeted as the red haired man walked into his office.

“You didn't tell me I was going to kill the Headmaster,” Mr. Weasley said immediately.

“Does that bother you?” Voldemort questioned dangerously.

“No sir,” he replied softly.

“Good. Now, I need you to do something else for me. I'm afraid I've lost contact with young Mr. Malfoy. Return home for a while, ask your children about it; I believe Draco has gone astray. He has probably been poisoned by that Mudblood's words.”

“But sir, my family already suspects me to be working with you. You told me if I told Dumbledore a believable story, he would get the word out for me, and I'd be able to go home safely.”

“Believe it or not, Weasley, that wine was not intended to kill the old buffoon. You were not the reason of his death. He really did die naturally.”

“But then why did you just say...”

“I just asked if you would have a problem with killing someone,” Voldemort replied slyly.

Mr. Weasley bowed his head and nodded. “I'll report back to you when I have found something out.”
**

Harry and Ron spent the rest of the day listening to Hermione vent about Draco's prank gone wrong. When she finally finished, Ron informed Harry that DA meetings were going to be set every Wednesday at 8 PM in the Room of Requirement. When all conversation finally wore out, they went to bed after a very eventful first day back.
**
Hahahah, that is the most random ending. I just wanted to finish this chapter so I could post earlier. =) Hope you guys liked it.
The Break Up by Humansitis
All the talk during breakfast the next morning was centered around Draco and Hermione. They had become the new couple on campus and like all popular couples there was an approving group and a hate group. It’s not a surprise that Gryffindors and Slytherins accounted for 75% of the hate group, but it was surprising to many that Harry Potter, Ronald Weasley, and Ginny Weasley were part of the approval group. Hermione and Draco themselves skipped breakfast to escape the drama of it all.

Sitting next to her boyfriend in the hospital wing, Hermione was giving Draco the silent treatment, but he rather enjoyed it because then he could stare at her all he wanted and she would just glare at him and turn away. He thought it was cute, but wondered why she bothered to go visit him if all she was going to do was be mad. One more day on the bed and his finger would be fully recovered; and he still hadn’t snagged any kisses for being injured. When she started ignoring him, he looked up at the ceiling and counted the little dots, then, amidst his thinking, he realized something.

“Hermione,” he began. No response. He rolled his eyes and put a hand on her shoulder and spun her around forcefully. “Hermione! Quit being such a pain in my ass.”

She raised an eyebrow and looked down at his butt. She smiled sneakily and let out a fake sigh.

“Hermione, I just realized something,” Draco continued seriously. “You’ve never actually told me that you love me.”

Hermione instantly turned pink. She opened her mouth, but clamped it shut and thrust her chin in the air and looked away.

“Common. I wanna hear it,” Draco said in a whiny voice, puffing out his lower lip.

“No! Not like this!” she replied disapprovingly. “I’ll tell you when the time is right.”

“But I’ve told you hundreds of times that I love you! Why can’t you just say it once?”

“Because! It doesn’t feel right!!”

Draco frowned and leaned back on the bed. “Doesn’t feel right?” He felt something sour sprout from his chest. His eyes furrowed at the pain.

Hermione turned around after she realized what she said sounded like. “Draco, that’s not what I meant…”

Draco looked away from her, hurt.

“Look, I just…I’m not comfortable with saying things like that without meaning it.”

“So you don’t love me?” he asked sadly looking out the window.

“It’s not that, it’s just I’m not one of those girls who can freely say how I feel.”

“Okay. Well. When will you be “free” to tell me how you feel about me?”

Hermione frowned at having to answer such an impossible question. “I don’t know.”

“What if this doesn’t work out Hermione?”

Having never thought of them actually being together, she never worried about them breaking up; but now that he brought up the subject, her feelings inside were enough to tell her that she didn’t want them to be apart.

“What do you mean…‘doesn’t work out’?” she replied.

“I mean, now that everyone knows about us they’re not all going to approve. Lots of people will try to keep us apart and it just so happens that the greatest evil out there is the leader of their fan club.”

Hermione meant to frown but smiled at how he put the situation. “We don’t have to care about what they think Draco, and plus, how does Voldemort even know or even care about us anyway?”

Draco was shocked at the question; Hermione couldn’t have been THAT thick. “Hermione…I’m one of his little pawns remember? His little puppet that he likes to play around with at any point in time? I’m sure he’s figured us out by now…and I know he’s not very ecstatic about it. Plus, the last time I talked to him, he said you were dangerous, ‘filling my mind with dangerous thoughts’ to be exact, and I should stay away from you.”

“The last time you talked to him?!” Hermione screamed, having obviously missed everything Draco said after that. Draco could have sworn there was a fire blazing behind her, and her face shade went two tones darker.

“I can’t help it! I mean, one second I’m living my normal life, then the next, I appear in front of him and we’re talking like we’re best friends. I don’t remember our conversations very well, but I know that when I’m down there, I know everything. I think he’s using some sort of spell on me…”

“Well, when do you have your little hang outs? Do you know at least that?”

“Most of the time, it’s late at night, but sometimes it’s just random. Like the most recent one I remember is yesterday. I was with you…and then I suddenly vanished and was with him.”

“Yesterday?” Hermione asked while her brain was fitting together all the pieces. “Draco, I think I’ve figured it out,” she told him after a couple of minutes. “Voldemort put some sort of spell on you so that every time you fall asleep, you report to him, but I would have felt you leave yesterday night…”

“Unless if I cast a spell on you to be oblivious to everything that’s going on…”

“Right…and that would explain the night Dee thought you apparated into your room…”

“Wait, no it doesn’t. We know now that I go during my sleep, but Dee said I appeared out of thin air…I still can’t do that in Hogwarts.”

Hermione narrowed her eyes until they created a valley in between two huge eyebrows. She was flipping through the events in her mind and suddenly random flashes of images appeared out of nowhere. One was in a dark cave…she seemed to be tied up somewhere…then there was Harry, he was chained to the wall. She concentrated on those images and was suddenly hit by a flood of them. She saw Voldemort, then Harry lunging at Voldemort, then…Draco? She shook her head and looked back at Draco. “I think I just remembered something that Voldemort wanted me to forget.”

Draco raised an eyebrow.

“Do you remember a dark cave during one of your visits to him? And Harry and I were there?”

Draco put his hand on his chin like an inspector and closed his eyes. Hermione watched as he tried to remember something he had obviously forgotten.

“Aha! Yeah, I remember it now. I think,” Draco announced happily at last.

“And?”

“It had something to do with Dee…and I remember something about a memory spell that would make us forget everything once we passed through…a vortex?”

“Vortexes…of course! He could have created infinite amounts of them all over the school, there’s no spell to prevent that. And that’s how they’ve been ‘apparating’! Draco we’ve figured him out!”

“No, wait, it can’t be that easy. Maybe he wants us to know this information.”

“Maybe. And since we’re on the topic of things he wants us to know and things he doesn’t want us to know…can you tell me what those freaky things were behind your shelf?”

Draco sighed. He knew he’d have to tell Hermione sooner or later about Voldemort’s plan. “That’s his army,” he said as he took in a large breath. “And I’m his ‘key’ or something like that. I don’t know. He said I wasn’t real, and that Lucius and he created me before I was born. My destiny is to build his army and make him the evilest immortal on earth. Basically, once he’s done with me, I’m probably gonna disappear into oblivion…you never know, it might have been part of my destiny too.” Draco laughed out of sadness.

“Draco…” Hermione scooted her chair closer to him and put a hand on his back, rubbing him comfortably. He looked at her with his big innocent eyes that glistened with unshed tears. She put her hand on his cheek and brought him to her, and was just about to kiss him when his wand went off, tapping the table like crazy. She blinked repeatedly and pulled away. Draco huffed disappointedly. Hermione cleared her throat and announced that it was time for him to take his medicine. Draco frowned as he was served another cup of cruel and unusual punishment.
**

After breakfast, Ron and Harry met up with Hermione in the Entrance Hall for Charms. Today was a pretty relaxing day for them. First they had Charms, then they had History of Magic with Professor Binns, which everyone associated with nap time. The day went by pretty fast, they planned what they were going to do tomorrow night during the D.A. meeting in Charms and then Harry and Ron slept through History of Magic while Hermione took down fifteen pages of neat and well written notes. She said she wasn’t going to let Harry or Ron copy it, and they actually took her seriously for the first five years, but now they knew exactly what to do to change her mind. Hermione went back to the hospital wing after class and gave Draco the lectures they had, and also, a copy of her notes. Ron and Harry were furious about the latter. They tagged along with her this time because they figured that if Draco was going to be on their side during the war, they’d need to show him some support. When they went back to the common room, Hermione decided it was time to tell Harry and Ron everything about Draco.

“So you’re saying that Draco is working with Voldemort, but not at the same time?” Ron asked utterly confused.

“He meets up with Voldemort every time he falls asleep,” Hermione replied with a shrug.

“So all we have to do is watch him, wait till he falls asleep, and follow him, right?” Harry concluded.

“I guess, but don’t you think that’s a bit stalker-ish?” she replied.

Harry laughed. “No. We have to do what we have to do. And you can’t tell Draco about it because he said he can remember everything when he’s with Voldemort, but forgets things when he’s with us.”

Hermione nodded. Ron grabbed his stomach as it growled. He smiled feebly and said,

“Okay, now that we’ve got that settled, can we go eat? I’m starved.”
**

Draco got an unexpected visitor later that night. He was about to doze off when a girl swept into the hospital wing and scared him half to death.

“Geez Dee! If you wear anymore white they’ll have to declare you one of the newest ghosts here at Hogwarts!” Draco exclaimed when he identified his guest.

“I just came to make sure you don’t fall asleep,” Dee replied simply.

“What? How do you know about that?” he questioned suspiciously.

“That doesn’t matter. I can’t tell you anyway, because then you’d tell your buddy Voldemort when you fall asleep.”

“Okay, that’s fair. So what do you want?”

“I already told you! I want you to stay awake.”

Draco looked at her untrustingly. “That’s all you want? Just for me to stay awake?”

Dee nodded and drew a little X over her heart with her index finger. Draco approved and sat back on his bed. There was a very uncomfortable silence for a very long time, Draco thought that if this was her plan to keep him awake, it was working. He looked over at Dee, who seemed to be lost in her own thoughts and didn’t mind the silence. Suddenly he felt a wave of heat hit him and when he looked back at Dee he could read her thoughts. Confused for a second, he quickly realized what was going on.

“Dee, it’s happening.”

“What? What’s happening?” she asked puzzled.

“I’m becoming him…Voldemort. Or he’s slowly taking over me,” Draco replied alarmed and a little out of breath, and then he grabbed his chest in pain.

“Right,” Dee replied nervously. When Draco lifted his head, she saw that his eyes had turned red and she instantly jumped out of her chair. “Umm. I think this would be the part where I scream and run out of the room, but since I’m supposed to be here to protect you, I’m just gonna scream and run to the farthest wall.” Dee did as she said and put a good 20 feet between her and Draco immediately. She drew out her wand and focused it on Draco.

“Don’t move, and I won’t attack you,” Dee instructed calmly.

“What makes you think you know any spell strong enough to even bruise me?” replied a voice that came from Draco, but wasn’t his.

“So we meet again Mr. Riddle,” Dee returned skeptically.

“Yes, we do meet,” he confirmed. “And you are?”

“You’ve forgotten already?” Dee responded, faking disappointment.

Voldemort scrunched up Draco’s face and then smiled when comprehension hit him.

“Dike Notis.”

“Ah, yes, do call me Dee.”

Voldemort laughed and began to throw off the blankets covering Draco, but Dee fired a freezing spell at him.

“I said, don’t move,” she reminded him.

Voldemort muttered something under his breath and her spell wore off, and he continued what he was doing. Dee watched completely flabbergasted.

“Your little spells are nothing, they can’t do anything to me. I am not Draco Malfoy anymore, I am The Dark Lord, I am the most powerful wizard on this earth.” By now, he had his forehead right on top of hers. Dee was trembling from fear and the only thing keeping her standing was the wall behind her.

“Now Dee. I need your cooperation okay?”

“No,” Dee replied through clenched teeth.

“Now, now. You must get over your anger about me and your father’s history. You must understand that what happened was a tragedy to not only you, but also me. I never wanted him to die, it was his disease that took over in the end.”

“Bull!” Dee screamed, on the verge of tears. “You were the one who ignited the disease in him! You were the one that caused it! It’s YOUR FAULT that he’s dead. And I swear to god, I’m not going to let you go.”

Voldemort laughed. “What are you going to do Dee? Kill me?” He laughed again, much creepier this time, having learned how to control Draco’s voice. “If you could kill me, I’d let you, but unfortunately, you’re just a waste of my time right now.”

“If I’m such a waste of your time, why don’t you get out of Draco’s body and go do something productive?”

Voldemort frowned. “That’s right. I do need you for something tonight. Oh and look, it’s about time to get started.”

“Get started on wha…” Dee began, but Voldemort shut her up with a kiss. She tried to push him away, but he was too strong, and literally on her. His hands violated her as they slid up and down her body. She had no idea why he was doing this until she heard the door behind them slam shut. At that exact same moment, Draco pulled away and gasped as he caught his breath.

“What the hell was that?!” he asked as he took his hands off of her and backed away. His eyes were wide and confused.

Dee looked at the door and back at Draco.

“We’d better go find Hermione,” was all she said.
**

Hermione ran all the way back to Gryffindor Tower, not stopping for anything, and shoving anyone who got in her way. She cried as the images of Draco and Dee replayed in her mind. Was this why Draco had asked her about what would happen if they broke up? Had he already fallen for someone else? Was she not enough for him? Her breath got caught in her throat and she cried even harder. She never even got to tell him that she did love him, but now that didn’t seem to be a problem. She felt anger slowly replace her sadness and she wiped away her tears and commanded herself to stop crying. It worked for all of two seconds, the two seconds that she wasn’t seeing Draco make out with Dee against the wall. She heard footsteps quickly approaching and ran even faster. The only place she could go now was the Room of Requirement, but that only brought back more memories of Draco. She heard him calling her from the hall she had just passed. She stopped running and entered the first classroom she saw. She shut the door and pressed herself against it, burying her head in between her knees as she continued crying.

Draco and Dee ran right past her without knowing it. They finally gave up on their search when they found an empty Room of Requirement. Disappointed, they headed back to the Slytherin dungeons. Draco went straight to his room and slammed the door behind him. He was about to kick his bed when he saw Hermione sitting there waiting for him.

“Hermione!” Draco exclaimed relieved. “I was so worried, what you saw, it was…”

“I don’t want to hear it Malfoy,” she replied coldly.

Draco was at a loss for words. “Malfoy?”

“You want to know why I’ve never told you that I love you?” she continued, ignoring the fact that Draco already looked like a brick had hit him straight in the face.

“I could never love you Draco. You are everything I hate. I was only using you. Now that I know everything I need to know about Voldemort, I don’t need you anymore.”

Draco, enraged and on the verge of punching Hermione, cut her off before she could say any more. “I don’t know what the hell has gotten into you Hermione, but I’ll just pretend that I didn’t hear any of that. I don’t know what you think you saw at the hospital wing, but now I really don’t care what you thought of it. In fact, I hope it hurt you. I hope it tore you down into tiny little pieces and ate you up from the inside.”

Hermione laughed. “Didn’t I just tell you that you mean NOTHING to me? I could really care less that you were making out with Dee. Honestly Draco, for a bad boy like you, you should know how this game is played.” And at that, she got up off the bed and left his room.

Draco screamed angrily and overturned his bed. Then he went on destroying everything else in his room. Hermione, outside of his room, grinned and left the Slytherin dungeons.
**

After collecting all of her thoughts, she stood up and told herself to get a grip. She dried her face and took in a deep breath before walking out of the classroom she was hiding in. Hermione had decided that perhaps she and Draco should break up after all. No one was going to support them except her friends, and now that Draco himself didn’t even want to be with her, she was the only person left in this game for two. She quietly walked back to Gryffindor Tower when she passed someone who looked eerily like her in the halls. She turned around for a better look, and suddenly the kid was gone. She shook her head and figured she was imagining things and continued her walk.
**

A couple death eaters were confused when they saw Hermione Granger walking around in their underground layer, but they soon caught on as they recognized that it was the work of a Polyjuice Potion. Voldemort pressed the Dark Mark on his arm and within two minutes, all his death eaters were gathered around him. It was then that he announced to the group,

“Young master Malfoy will be joining us again tonight, and the filthy Mudblood will no longer be a problem to us. Weasley, you will be rewarded for your assistance.”

One of the men in black nodded his head, and Voldemort resumed,

“With Draco back on our side, my army will soon be ready to fight. Macnair, gather the Dementors, Giants, and Werewolves. Tell them there will be an attack on Hogwarts this Friday, be ready for the final battle.”
**
The Hate Potion by Humansitis
“Hermione! Where have you been?!” Ron asked as he rushed to her with open arms. “What’s wrong? Have you been crying?”

Hermione looked down and let Ron bring her into a protective hug. She whispered, “I’m okay”, into his robes, but her unsteady voice said otherwise. Harry frowned and went over to pat her on the back.

“Hermione, maybe you should go sleep. Ron and I will take care of the business tonight,” he suggested.

“What are you going to do?”

“Watch Draco, of course. See where he goes at night,” Ron replied.

Hermione nodded, feeling that it was probably better that she not face Draco until tomorrow morning anyway. She trotted upstairs and shut the door quietly behind her. Harry and Ron watched worriedly.

“Maybe Gin could come then?” Harry asked hopefully.

Ron smiled confused. “I thought you two broke up?”

“Yeah. I feel like such a jerk,” Harry replied honestly. “It’s just really confusing, but I know how I feel now. I can think straighter when it comes down to girls. It was like a revelation over night! I was just so lonely when you and Gin went off on the family vacation, and Hermione hooked up with Draco out of all the other available men, and I got overprotective of my best friend, and you know, that can be bad, because then you get confused about love-like-a-friend and love-like-more-than-a-friend. And if you just followed that, you are one amazing listener. But anyway, I’ve come to accept Hermione and Draco. He’s not that bad of a guy after all. He’s kinda…”

“Um, okay Harry, I didn’t ask for a lecture,” Ron said jokingly, cutting Harry off.

Harry glared at him in a friendly way and smiled. “You get the point.”

Ron nodded. “But I still think Gin should stay here. Mum would skin me alive if anything happened to her.”

Harry let out a disappointed sigh, but agreed that he preferred Ron with skin.
**

Draco returned to the hospital wing one final time for his last dose of medicine. His finger had grown back perfectly, but he wasn’t happy at all. He remembered why his finger was missing in the first place, and thinking about her was just too much for him. He shook his head angrily and strode out of the hospital leaving a trail of steam behind him. Madam Pomfrey watched disapprovingly and sighed as she muttered, “Teenagers.”

Harry and Ron froze in their tracks as they saw Draco storm towards them. He didn’t look very friendly, and they didn’t want to know why.

“Where’s the Mudblood?” he spat as he neared them.

Ron’s face flashed with anger. “So you’re the one who made her cry.”

“She’s the one who was being such a b”“

“I wouldn’t finish that word if I were you Malfoy,” Ron warned as he took a step forward.

“Bite me Weasel,” he retorted.

“What the hell is up with you?!” Harry exclaimed, restraining Ron from jumping Draco.

“Why don’t you go ask your girlfriend.”

“Did you two break up?” Ron asked hopefully rude.

“What? She didn’t tell you the good news?” Draco returned sarcastically. “She better not be crawling back to me with some lame apology, cause it’s over.” He gave them one last glare, took a step, and disappeared.

“What the?” Ron whispered stunned as Malfoy vanished before his eyes.

Harry ran to where Draco had stood, but the ground seemed pretty solid to him. “How’d he do that?”

“I don’t know,” Ron replied. “We’d better go find out what Hermione knows.”
**

“What are you talking about?!” Hermione cried exasperated. “I didn’t say or do anything to him! He’s the one that was caught cheating.”

“No, he seemed pretty fired up about something that you did, Hermione.”

Hermione sighed. “Whatever. I don’t care anymore. If he wants to break up with me, it’ll just be taking a lot of stress off. I need to focus on my studies now anyway.”

“Hermione…”

“It’s okay, Harry.”

“There’s one more thing,” Ron added in.

“What?” Hermione asked impatiently.

“Draco…he apparated on school grounds.”

“They’re vortexes. The Death Eaters aren’t really apparating. Voldemort must have some sort of underground base, and he’s creating vortexes from there to transport his men in and out quickly. We’re going to have to figure out where they are if we even want to attempt to keep the school safe.”

Harry and Ron oooh-ed in understanding. “Well, the DA meeting is tomorrow, we’ll call forth the light maps and figure it out then.”

They were about to leave when Ron turned back around. “Hermione?”

She raised her eyebrows.

“I’m sorry about Draco.”

The shut the door behind them and left Hermione to herself.

His words hit her hard. She realized how much she had actually loved being with Draco. It wasn’t just the thrill of being together against all odds, but it was also true understanding of each other. She felt herself start to break down again and began crying herself to sleep.
**

Wednesday was kicked off with double Potions with none other than the Slytherins. Draco was already seated when the trio walked in, he didn’t even bother to look at them. Hermione thought about smacking him hard across the head, but held back in efforts of setting a good example for the rest of the class. She was so frustrated with him! He was the one that should be apologizing to her, but she’s the one feeling guilty. Professor Snape strode into the room wasting no time.

“Sit down, open your books to page seventy nine. Today we will be studying Hate Potions.” He paused and frowned as if he had just received a premonition of what was to come.

“This is by far the most complex potion we have studied so far. Potter! Tell me, what are the ingredients required for a successful Hate Potion?”

Harry squirmed in his chair and slightly tilted his head to read his book. “Mandrake root, Knoxgrass, rat spleen, scarab beetles, ginger roots, and two drops of the victim’s blood.”

Snape grimaced as he heard all the right ingredients.

“Very good Potter, I’m glad you excelled in your kindergarten reading class.”

The Slytherins snickered to themselves. “Alright,” Snape said to hush them, “Now who can tell me what makes a Hate Potion so dangerous?”

Hermione’s hand shot up into the air leaving no prisoners. Snape looked around the room and sighed disappointedly. “Ms. Granger?” he asked in a dull voice.

Hermione ignored his tone and answered enthusiastically, “Hate Potions are dangerous because if anything goes wrong during the creation process it becomes fatal to consume.”

Snape nodded his greasy head and turned around. “You heard what she said. If you mess up on this assignment, I assure you, you will never mess up on another again.”

Neville gulped and went pale, knowing that Snape was talking directly to him.

“I will be assigning your partners and positions to assure that no cheating and helping goes on,” he finished with a glare at Hermione.

“Potter, you’re with Goyle. Weasley, you’re with Crabbe. You four will work at the first and second stations.” The four of them groaned and dragged their belongings to the far corner of the room.

“Malfoy, you’re with Granger. Notis, you’re with Parvati. You four will work at the third and fourth stations.”

Professor Snape continued pairing off partners as Draco and Hermione reluctantly met at their workstation. Draco stared viciously at the wall with his arms crossed as Hermione approached. She didn’t say anything when she got there; what was there to say?

They unloaded their things, careful not to touch each other as they set up the equipment on the table. The silence was quickly broken as Hermione couldn’t keep her anger in anymore.

“You know what Draco? I am not going to stand here feeling bad about something you should be apologizing to me for,” Hermione shot at him, gesturing her words with her hand, which so conveniently held a peeling knife. Draco scoffed and returned to what he was doing, completely ignoring her.

Hermione huffed and threw down the knife. She took Draco’s right shoulder and gave it a hard shove, forcing him to look at her. “Don’t pretend you don’t hear me! Why should I suffer for this huh? I gave up A LOT to be with you Draco, you know that. And if you’re gonna break up with me, you better have a damn good reason,” she was practically screaming now. The whole class eagerly watched on with interest.

Draco sneered at her with disgust, obviously having something to say, but remained silent. Hermione kept her eyes locked on his, not accepting his response, or lack thereof.

“You gave up a lot to be with me?” Draco said at last in a very small voice. “YOU gave up a lot.” He laughed mockingly and shook his head. “Get this right Mudblood. I’m only saying it once. I put myself on the line for you. I gave you 110% of me, no less, and what did you give me? You cheated on me FIRST and you dumped me FIRST; honestly, what more do you want? My money? I never thought of you that way Granger, but if I’m going to pay for the times we had, I gotta say, I wasn’t satisfied.”

Hermione immediately slapped him across the face. The smack echoed through the cold silent dungeon. The both of them were in shock for a while. Draco remained completely still, his head seemed to be locked in the after-slap position. Professor Snape, his amusement having worn out, walked up to the two of them and announced,

“If you two don’t get this potion done by the end of the class, I will fail you both.” Then he turned to the rest of the class, “The same goes for everyone.” He strode away quietly as the top two students in Hogwarts quickly snapped back to reality.

Never meeting each other in the eye they prepared the Hate Potion individually.

“Time!” Snape shouted an hour later, jumping out of his chair to inspect the creations. “Today, we will test…Draco and Hermione’s. As punishment for your little outburst during class. Go on.” He waved his hand signaling them to continue.

Sighing loudly, Draco picked up his vial and handed it to Hermione, who did the same. In one gulp, both of the potions were downed. Ron held his breath until he was sure Hermione wouldn’t fall down cold and dead. It took two minutes for the potion to settle in. Draco was the first to react.

“Mudblood,” he growled. He took a step forward, but Harry immediately jumped in his way and pushed him back.

“Draco! Snap out of it!” he scolded.

“No, Harry, let him go,” she commanded. “Let’s see what he’s got. Big. Bad. Slytherin boy. Common, rush me,” she whispered as she tauntingly laid herself on the table.

Harry blinked wildly. Was Hermione mad at him or seducing him? It was hard to tell. Draco sneered and pushed Harry aside.

“I’ll show you what I’ve got,” he replied angrily, and just when he was about to make his move, the bell rang.

“Class dismissed,” Snape said in his usual lazy, nasal voice. He went to Draco and Hermione and forced down a vial of potion each.

“There. You should be back to normal now.”

Hermione immediately sat up on the table and straightened her clothes embarrassedly; Draco cleared his throat, picked up his things, and left before anything could be said. He walked quietly in the hall thinking of the events passed. Even when he hated her, he still loved her to some degree…maybe they hated each other so much that there could only be love left? He swallowed hard and leaned himself against the wall.

“Hey.”

He opened his left eye to see Hermione standing before him. The Hate Potion pretty much wiped out all of his emotional burdens so he didn’t glare at her for the first time that day. “Hey,” he replied quietly.

“Listen…” she began, nervously playing with her fingers. “I think there’s been some miscommunication going around lately, do you think we could talk?”

Draco raised an eyebrow and smirked. “You think we could just skip pass the talking, crying, hitting, and just go straight to the kissing?”

Hermione laughed and shook her head incredulously. “Dream on Malfoy,” she said as she walked away. Draco smiled and followed, tracing her every steps.

“You know you want to Granger,” he replied silkily.

Hermione grinned and turned around so that Draco saw her grinning. “Catch me and I’ll think about it!” Then she ran for her life. The air rushed past her face as her light hair flew back behind her. She laughed as she felt Draco catch up to her. He came from behind her and grabbed her by the waist, turning her around, they kissed. Hermione laughed and broke the kiss.

“Common Draco, you were supposed to chase me to Caelum!” she said as she took him by his green Slytherin tie and dragged him along with her.

“Caelum?” Draco asked interested. “Heaven?”

“Impressive,” Hermione replied. “You didn’t tell me you studied Latin.”

“Please Hermione, I’m much smarter than you think.” He grinned as she rolled her eyes. They continued walking until Draco recognized the hallway.

“Ahhh, Caelum,” he said, this time with much more enthusiasm. “I must say, it’s much better sounding than Room of Requirement.”

Hermione laughed and called forth the door. They tumbled inside, tripping over each other in an attempt to walk backwards, and resumed their kissing. Draco flipped Hermione over so he was on top and kicked the door shut moving only his lower body. Hermione clung onto him as he moved them onto a bed that materialized through his thoughts. She gasped as her back unexpectedly made contact with a soft silk texture. She opened her eyes and gave Draco a questioning glare. He grinned.

“Don’t worry, we’re not gonna do anything you’re not up to,” he assured her. She relaxed and pulled him back into her.
**

“Master, is it time?”

Voldemort slowly turned around to face Lucius Malfoy. “No. Not yet. Tomorrow.”

“But what if that’s too late”what if Snape already possesses Dumbledore’s”“

“I said…Tomorrow,” Voldemort replied impatiently.

Lucius bowed his head and pulled out of the room.

The Dark Lord stood for a while in silence, but quickly erupted into fits of angry shouts. He picked up a chair and broke it against the wall. He panted as he settled himself down. What was happening to him? Why wasn’t he able to control himself anymore? He sat down on the floor and cried for the first time in a century.
**

Draco sat up suddenly on the bed, feeling like he was hit by some unknown force. He looked down at Hermione who was sleeping soundly and didn’t notice him. Getting off the bed, he put on his shoes and outer robe. He felt something extremely intense burning inside his chest, but couldn’t tell what it was for he had never felt it before. He furrowed his eyes and walked out of the room. The pain didn’t seem to be temporary, it grew fiercer by the minute, and before he was at the Slytherin portrait hole, all he could think about was that need…that want for something…something…immortal.
**

Inside the secret chamber in Draco’s room, a little ball twitched slightly in its spot, then a light burst from inside it cracking the outer shell. The little baby squirmed on the little pedestal it was on and cried out like a Mandrake.
**

Hermione awoke to a shrilling cry, but once she stepped outside the sound disappeared. She looked around confused, then looked back at the bed realizing Draco’s absence.
Freaky Friday? by Humansitis
Harry and Ron entered the fumy Divination room with little enthusiasm. Loosening his tie as the usual heat wave hit him, Harry found his seat next to the window. Professor Trelawney then came sweeping in with that unique mysterious spookiness.

“Welcome back class,” she said in her dreamy voice as she put on her overtly large glasses. Parvati and Lavender were the only ones who responded to her.

“Today we will be studying the subconscious mind,” she whispered while moving her hands in slow circles around her face. “Who will tell me what your subconscious is?” she asked as she finally stopped making circles and brought her long fingers together.

Parvati’s hand shot up into the air as she made “ooh ooh ooh!” noises.

“Yes Miss Patil?” Professor Trelawney asked with a smile and a sideways nod.

“Our subconscious mind is the place where everything that’s happened to us, our whole past, no matter a big thing or small thing, rests. Whether we know it or not, it affects our everyday lives and makes us do the things we do.”

“Excellent,” the Professor exclaimed ecstatically, clapping her hands high in the air. “The subconscious most commonly surfaces amidst our dreams, but today, we will be studying when and why it comes out during our waking hours,” she said mystically.

Ron gave Harry a bemused look. Harry stifled a laugh and continued his gaze out the window, only half paying attention to the mental Professor. Ron had already begun planning what he was going say was in his subconscious mind; the key part of it being that everything had to lead to some sort of gruesome death.

“You will get into partners and list events that have happened to you in the past week which triggered weird behavior. Your homework is to list events that have happened this week and predict what will happen next week,” Professor Trelawney announced before she retired in her chair to observe the class.

Harry sighed and looked back at Ron, who was scribbling hastily on his sheet of parchment.

“What are you doing Ron?” Harry asked, surprised that his best friend was so interested in this assignment.

Ron chuckled. “Just you wait…” and he kept writing, making weird faces while at it.

Harry lazily pulled out his bag and retrieved a single sheet of parchment. He played around with his quill a little before actually writing anything down. He looked up and jumped as he saw two magnified eyes watching him carefully.

“Prof…Professor, is there a problem?” he stuttered.

“Mister Potter, why is your paper blank?” she questioned negatively, placing a long fingernail on his parchment.

“I…I was…,” Harry began, but decided to go the dramatic route out, “Oh Professor! I was overcome by memories of the horrible events of last week and shocked to realize how they have affected me…and now…now I am too ashamed and shaken to write anything just yet…” He looked up hopefully at Professor Trelawney. She smiled and patted him on the back.

“Very good Harry, this is exactly why we are doing this lesson. You must not be too hard on yourself for your past mistakes. I am glad you have mastered the objective and will hopefully be able to prevent the same faults for next week.”

Ron was completely red from holding in loud fits of laughter as Trelawney floated away. Harry smiled and winked at him before returning to his paper.
**

Hermione walked down the hall with her wand out in defense. She kept every eye open for movement as she stealthily turned a corner. Three more hallways until you reach the Slytherin dungeons, she told herself. Hermione looked behind her to make sure no one was following her or suddenly appearing out of vortexes. As she neared the Slytherin portrait hole, she saw a body lying motionless on the ground. Recognizing the platinum blonde head, she ran to Draco and knelt down beside him. She put a hand to his forehead to check his temperature. Everything seemed to be fine. Using her wand, she cast the levitation spell on Draco and floated him down to the hospital wing.

Madam Pomfrey greeted her warmly and took Draco into her care.

“What happened?” she asked, finding nothing wrong with the boy.

“I don’t know. I found him unconscious in front of the Slytherin dungeons.”

The nurse frowned and checked a couple more places around Draco’s body. “He seems perfectly fine to me. Are you sure he’s not pulling off another prank?”

Hermione gave Draco a hard punch on the arm, and when he made no response, she look back up and confirmed that he wasn’t faking it.
“We’ll let him sleep it off, it may just be exhaustion.”
Hermione nodded, then gave Draco one last concerned look before leaving the room.
**

Draco stirred slightly as a cold metal hand touched him on the forehead. His eyes opened to greet a mass of darkness; his breathing was uncomfortable and ragged, it felt like there was a warm wet blanket covering his whole upper body, making every breath an effort.

“Master, are you okay?” he heard a man ask.

Master? He can’t be talking to me, Draco thought to himself. Letting all his sore bones relax, he fell back into the bliss of unconsciousness.

“What’s going on?” Lucius asked as he watched Lord Voldemort pass out again.

“We were contacting Draco when he suddenly collapsed on the ground,” Wormtail responded worriedly.

Lucius sneered. “Can’t do anything right can you?” he spat, shoving the short plump man out of his way.

“Ennervate!” Lucius cried, pointing his wand at the Dark Lord. Draco was jerked out of his sleep and shoved back into the world; the first thing he saw was his father with his wand pointed at him.

“What are you doing?!” Draco hissed angrily, but paused as he heard his words come out in someone else’s voice. He placed a hand to his throat and felt the ice cold skin he was under. He looked at his hand and realized it wasn’t his. Panicked, Draco looked around, and gasped as he realized who he was now.

He was Voldemort.
**

The bell finally rang as Harry hurriedly shoved his made up list of events into his bag. He was about to leave the room when Professor Trelawney called to him in her mystic voice. Harry sighed and told Ron to go ahead.

He walked back to the Professor and rudely exhaled, “What?!”

Then he took a closer look at his Professor and realized what was happening. She stood rigidly still, her eyes unfocused, and her facial features grave and serious. He looked around the room to make sure everybody had left, then he shut the trap door.

“What is it Professor?” he asked intently.

“DO WHAT YOU ARE AFRAID TO DO,” she said monotonously.

“Thoreau, Professor?” Harry questioned, puzzled as to why his Divinations teacher would be quoting a transcendentalist poet from the nineteenth century.

“NOTHING CAN BRING YOU PEACE BUT YOURSELF. AS THE BATTLE DRAWS NEAR, KNOW YOUR ENEMIES FROM YOUR FRIENDS. THIS IS YOUR FINAL BATTLE…THE BATTLE FOR ALL.”

Professor Trelawney then fell into a lax position. Harry nodded with a look that read “sure, whatever you just said” and was about to turn away when she continued, this time in a softer tone, “Time recognizes untrustworthy strangers, take validity over lies, disregard emotional, moral, or rational tendencies.”

A puzzled utter escaped Harry’s lips.

And his Professor snapped back to her normal self. “Your quill dear, you forgot your quill.”

Harry blinked and looked down at her outstretched hand which did in-fact hold his quill.


“Thank you Professor,” he mumbled as he took the quill and turned to leave.

“What was that?” Ron asked as Harry climbed down the stairs.

“A very, very weird warning,” he replied.

Ron’s eyes widened to the size of tennis balls as he ran to catch up to Harry.

“You mean she did it again?!” he asked amazed.

“Yeah, I think. I‘m going to ask Dumbl…” Harry stopped in his steps. He was about to ask Dumbledore for his advice. His death had finally hit him, Harry took in a large breath, feeling like his lungs had just been robbed. He worked so hard to put it in the back of his mind, tried so hard not to think about Dumbledore.

“Harry, you alright?” Ron asked, putting an arm around his shoulders. “It’s okay Harry, we can figure this one out on our own.”

“He’s gone,” Harry whispered incredulously. “Ron…he’s really gone.”

Ron scrunched up his eyebrows. “Harry…”

“What am I going to do?” Harry half cried.

Ron pulled Harry into a hug and patted him on the back. “Everything’s going to be okay,” he assured, but inside, he was just a lost as Harry. Dumbledore was always their rock to lean on when things got bad, but now that he’s gone…what were they going to do?

They walked back silently to the Gryffindor Tower. It wasn’t until they were in the common room before Harry couldn’t keep quiet anymore.

“Why does it always happen to me?” he screamed at Ron. “I never asked for this, you know. I never wanted to be the boy who lived, I never wanted to be the target of the evilest wizard out there. I just want to be Harry, just me!”

Hermione went downstairs to see what was going on.

“Harry?” she asked timidly.

“What’s wrong with me, Hermione?” he asked desperately, outstretching his arms to her. “Why can’t anything in my life be normal? Why can’t I be happy? I just want to be happy!” He dropped onto the floor and began crying.

Ginny joined Hermione on the stairs. Hermione cupped a hand over her mouth as she watched Harry break down. She felt so badly for him. He never had anything steady in his life, and it’s always just one trauma after another. She looked down as a tear fell from her eye.

“Yes, that’s right,” Harry growled as he saw Hermione sniffle. “Cry for me. Cry me a river. I’m the poor little boy who never knew his parents, never had anything real. I lost everything that mattered to me. Mum, dad, Sirius, Dumbledore, it’s only a matter of time before I lose you guys too. I’m going to have to fight Voldemort soon; but I know I’m going to survive. I always survive. It’s just part of me…I always lose what means the most to me, but I never lose myself.”

“Harry, snap out of this,” Ginny scolded him.

“Harry, snap out of this,” Harry mocked in a high pitched voice.

Ginny scowled and pulled out her wand. “You don’t want us to sympathize for you? That’s not a problem. I lost my father to Voldemort, Harry, but do you see me crying about it?”

“You’re father’s still alive,” Harry forced through clenched teeth.

“No, Harry. That’s the worst part. He may be living, but he’s dead. DEAD!” Ginny shouted hotly.

Harry leaned back as her words slapped him. He looked down speechlessly. “Ginny…I’m sorry. I have no right…”

“No, Harry. I am. I’m sorry you never stopped pitying yourself. It’s time to grow up.”

Harry looked up at the enflamed red head and nodded. He stood up and took in a deep breath to even out his breathing. He looked at Ron and Hermione apologetically.

They nodded understandingly before he said anything. Hermione finished her trip down the stairs and gave Harry a warm hug, soon joined by Ron and Ginny.
**

Voldemort sat up in an unknown bed. He felt so young. Is he reliving his past? He looked around the room and instantly knew where he was. Filled with energy, he jumped off the bed and headed towards the door.

“Mister Malfoy, where do you think you’re going?” Madam Pomfrey questioned, leaning against the doorpost of her office with her arms crossed.

Voldemort stopped in his tracks and looked at the person speaking to him. Malfoy huh? He could definitely work with that. “I’m feeling perfectly fine now ma’am. I think I’ll head back to my room now,” he said with a dashing smile.

The nurse gave him a glare, but nodded since she had no reason to keep him here anyway. Half skipping, Voldemort once again ventured the halls of Hogwarts freely. He jumped randomly, enjoying his new supply of life. He was young again. This time, he was going to live it right.

Coming to the Slytherin portrait hole, he waved his hand and it swung to the side. The Slytherin guardian watched in awe as he was forcefully opened. He immediately ran through paintings to the nearest corner and reported the crime to one of the Order members standing guard.

Voldemort strode straight into Draco’s room and disappeared behind the shelf. He gasped with admiration as he saw his first born son. He picked it up and swung it slightly in his arms.

“My baby,” he whispered lovingly. Then he put down his child and raising both hands into the air, he said, “Vilige!”

At the sound of his voice, every ball in the room burst out a beam of light and cracked their shells. Once freed from their prison, they let out a unified shrilling cry. Voldemort cackled hysterically along with his minions.
**

Draco quickly assumed his character and stood up. Wormtail followed his every move with beady eyes.

“Are you alright master?” Wormtail asked meekly.

“What happened?” Draco asked in a commanding tone.

“You were trying to contact young master Malfoy, but suddenly fell onto the floor,” he explained quickly.

Draco nodded. “All of you are dismissed.”

All the Death Eaters glared at him. He returned their looks and hissed angrily, “Do you have a problem? I said leave!”

Confused, they apparated out of the room. “You too Wormtail,” he added.

“But sir, I never leave your side,” he stammered.

“I SAID…LEAVE!” Draco hollered. Sheesh! What does a man have to do to get some privacy?! Wormtail disappeared in a blink of an eye. Draco strolled around the room and looked at some battle plans that were on the table.

“Like what you see?”

Draco spun around to see himself. Is that what I really sound like? He thought to himself. He quickly brushed away his self-conscious thoughts and glared angrily at Voldemort. “You! What’d you do?”

“I didn’t do this Draco,” Voldemort replied with a grin.

“What do you want?” Draco asked, squinting his eyes.

“Oh yes, that’s right. You forgot our last conversation,” Voldemort thought aloud. “Admone!” he said.

Draco swung back as an invisible wind hit his head. He grabbed the table to break his fall to the ground. After a couple intense seconds, his eyes flashed open, and he no longer saw Voldemort as a threat, but instead as a friend.
**

“The DA meeting is hereby begun,” Harry announced as he launched a white spark into the air. The students quieted down and turn to look at the leader.

“The final battle is drawing near,” Harry declared. “So far, you all know the Patronus spell to ward off Dementors, Binding spell for defense, Summoning charm in case you need something, the Alohomora spell should you run into a locked door, the Colloportus spell to seal a door shut, the Confundus charm to confuse the enemy, most of you know the Conjuring spell, the Cushioning spell, well all the spells you should have learned in class, the Vanishing spell, the Shield charm, and the Disarming spell. We’ve also covered how to break the Imperius curse. Today, we will need to go deeper. The spells that will be used on us will be far more dangerous, far more advanced than those childish spells we learn in class. Today, I am going to teach you the Unforgivable Curses.”

Silence spread across the room like a disease. A couple gasps were heard here and there. Harry laughed at all the shocked faces and said,

“I’m just kidding! I don’t even know them!!”

The kids looked at him like he was sprouting pixies out of his ears. Harry cleared his throat and continued, “Sorry. Bad joke. Had to do that. I will introduce you to a new spell though. We all know that Giants, Werewolves, and Dementors are more than likely going to be on Voldemort’s side this time, so we must prepare. I will show you the Solaris Charm, which conjures the power of the sun; which will hopefully turn the Werewolves back into humans, but I can never be sure. For giants, I expect you all to use the shrinking charm, of course, we’ll be fighting in groups as I don’t expect individuals to pull off a successful curse. If we stick together, I believe we will win.”

A hand rose steadily into the air. “Yes?” Harry asked.

Dee stood up and cleared her throat. “Harry, they need to know the Unforgivable Curses.”

Harry frowned. “Dee, there’s a reason why they’re call ‘Unforgivable’.”

Dee sighed. “You have no idea what we’re up against then, if you think we have a chance without knowing the most effective curses in a duel.”

Harry knew she was right. He looked down in took in a decisive breath. “All right. We’ll take a vote. Majority rules. Who wants to learn the Unforgivable Curses?”

At first only a couple hands went up, but as the students came to realize for themselves that it was for the better most of them raised their hands.

“Okay, that’s it. Dee, would you like to take the stand?” Harry stepped to the side and welcomed her up front.

“What? I’m going to teach them?!” Dee asked in a tone that already said “no”.

“Well, who else?!” Harry replied with a laugh.

Dee looked around nervously and walked up to the front of the room. She looked around some more and felt her stomach swishing around inside her.

“Harry…I’m not really good at this,” she whispered weakly.

“It’s okay, you’ll do fine.” He patted her on the back, which only made her want to retch even more. “Just breathe.”

Dee nodded and closed her eyes. She thought about being in a isolated, quiet place, but then remembered that there was still a group of kids with their eyes nailed on her anyway. Those stupid tricks never work, she thought to herself. Okay, picture them in their underwear….nope, still not working. Her breath quickened. She hated being in front of people, especially when they expected something from her. Finally, she gulped and got on with the show, shaking slightly. Once she successfully conjured a spider, she calmed down and felt immediately better. The students followed her lead and by the end of one hour, half of them had gotten the Cruciatus spell correct.

“Harry, this is going to take forever,” Dee muttered to him under her breath. “The Cruciatus spell is the easiest out of them all, and they’re taking a whole lifetime to learn it!”

Harry shifted slightly in his spot. “What do we do?”

“We have to split the class. Right now, we have to teach those who learn fast everything we can, and those who don’t learn so quickly will have to pray.”

Harry frowned. “I hope your joking,” he said.

“See? Only people who make such horrible jokes can tell when horrible jokes are being told,” she replied happily.

Harry laughed and sighed. “So, seriously, what do we do?”

Dee shrugged. “You’re the mastermind.”

Hermione walked over to them and announced happily, “I can’t do Avada Kedavra!”

“Hermione, that would usually be a good thing, but in this situation, it’s not.”

“Harry! I’m glad I don’t have enough hate in me to perform the killing curse! It’s already bad enough that I could do the Cruciatus and the Imperious Curse with no problem.”

Dee smiled. “Hermione, you’re going to have to perfect that Invisibility charm I was teaching you the other day. Okay?”

Hermione laughed with a nod. Dee returned to the students, trying ever so hard to teach them to be hateful.

“Hey, Hermione, while you’re still here,” Harry said, pulling out a little slip of parchment from his pocket, “Will you take a look at this?”

Hermione took the sheet of paper into her hand. “What is it?”

“Professor Trelawney had another real prediction today. I wrote it down word for word.”

“You memorized this whole thing?!” Hermione exclaimed, impressed. “And you couldn’t even sit down for five minutes to remember what ingredients were required for a Power Increasing potion for last year’s N.E.W.T.s?!”

Harry smiled feebly. “This is more important, so I put more heart to it.”

Hermione rolled her eyes jokingly and read the paper. “Why is she quoting transcendentalists?”

“You noticed that too?!” Harry said with a wide smile.

“Of course. Let’s see here…whoa, what does this last part mean?” She scanned the last sentence again and again.

“There’s something here Harry, I don’t know what it is right now, but I have a feeling this line is the most important of all this gibberish.”

Harry nodded and took back the paper. “Thanks Herm.”

Hermione smiled and walked back to where Ron was working on Avada Kedavra.
**

Draco and Voldemort watched over the hundred or so babies as they conversed about strategies to get into Hogwarts. They planned to force all Death Eaters, cooperative or not, back into the circle, which would in return eliminate their biggest threat, Snape. Draco nodded silently to himself as he went over the foolproof plans again in his head.

“Riddle,” he said absentmindedly as he pried a baby off his leg.

“Yes?” Lord Voldemort returned.

“You need to go back to Hogwarts tonight. They’re holding a DA meeting. So far, I don’t think they know what’s happened between us.”

Voldemort frowned. “What am I supposed to do?”

“Be me. You can do it. Be nice.”

Voldemort laughed. “If you call what you’re doing right now ‘nice’, I can definitely follow.”

Draco snickered. “You know what I mean. Just keep talking like that, and you’ll fit right in. And whatever you do, don’t mess things up between Hermione and me.” He gave Voldemort a warning look.

“You can’t be serious about her Draco!” Voldemort replied alarmed.

Draco looked down at his feet and sighed. “I wish I wasn’t. I try hard not to love her…but it just makes it worse. So be nice to her. Okay?”

Voldemort sighed with a disapproving look and shot himself through a vortex.
**
Righting the Wrong by Humansitis
Voldemort strolled down the quiet halls of Hogwarts, his every step echoing off the grand walls. He knew his way around the school like the back of his hand; finding the DA meeting wasn’t a problem to him. He decided to knock before entering, and when no one replied, he turned the knob and entered anyway.

A wind of sound crashed into him like a bucket of cold water. He cringed for a second then heard someone call him.

“Draco!” Hermione acknowledged. “What are you doing here?”

Voldemort looked down at the girl, filled with disgust; the Mudblood who’s always with Harry Potter, he realized. He was tempted to curse her, but Draco’s warning resounded in his head before he did anything. Besides, although he didn’t particularly like her, there was an uncontrollable tingling feeling inside him when he looked at her. He smiled and replied, “DA meeting right? So what are we doing?”

He observed the room and almost laughed aloud as he saw the children and their pathetic attempts at performing the Unforgivable Curses.

Hermione pulled Voldemort to the side. “Draco, what are you doing here?! You know how the others feel about you…especially Dee. She still thinks you’re half Voldemort.”

Voldemort laughed. “You have no idea.”

Hermione gave him a mean glare, which prompted him to elaborate that he was “just kidding”. For some reason, Hermione even was able to intimidate the most dangerous man in the magical world, and while it made Voldemort uncomfortable, he liked that.

“You should leave,” she continued, already pushing him towards the door.

“But wait!” Voldemort cried. “I can help!”

“That makes it WORSE Draco. It’s not going to comfort anyone here that you can do the deadliest curses on this planet.”

Voldemort sighed and gave up as the last of his body was shoved through the threshold.

Oh well, he thought to himself. Missing the DA meeting isn’t that big of a loss; I can have a first hand examination of the battlefield now. He finished his trip around the school, every now and then stopping to picture how the students would scream at the horrors he unleashed then die.
**

It was midnight when the trio decided that students who couldn’t get past Cruciatus would have to be dropped. Another meeting was called for Thursday, and not a second of spare time was to be wasted. The students left one by one and returned to their rooms. Harry, Hermione, Ron, and Ginny stayed behind to call forth the light maps.

Shutting the door behind the last member, Ginny heaved a loud, exhausted sigh and plopped down on a cushion chair that she summoned just seconds before. Harry set up everything for Hermione, who was busy reviewing the spell again. Ron stood to the side, still practicing his Imperious Curse; he’d managed to get the spider to lift a leg, but he was aiming for a jump.

“Okay, lights are going out,” Harry announced as he flicked his wand; Ron automatically sent the spider away.

Hermione began the incantation and within a few minutes the map appeared.

“Brilliant!” Ron approved as he stepped in closer to the table.

“Hogwarts,” Ginny demanded as her wand touched the bright light.

The map spun wildly and reappeared as a magnified blueprint of Hogwarts. Hermione took her wand and traced it down the length of the map, reciting a spell to reveal everyone who was not in their room.

“What the…?” Harry whispered as he poked his wand at a specific name that was traveling towards the dungeons.

“Volde”“ Ron began, but his expression finished his sentence better than he could.

Ginny pointed her wand where Harry’s was and said, “Ocule!

The little name then disappeared, so did the map, and a visual of the person took their place.

“Oh my god,” Hermione said disbelievingly as Draco appeared on the screen.

“There’s gotta be some mistake-” Ginny tried reasoning.

Hermione shook her head. “No. The map is never wrong.” She took a step back and sat down on a chair. “Get comfortable. We’re going to be watching him for a while.”

Ron groaned, but was happy again once he conjured a bed to lie on. Ginny and Harry sat on the other side of the table, whispering quietly to each other. Hermione smiled to herself, she was glad that Harry had finally gotten back together with Ginny, and she sighed happily.

“So, she gave you another prediction?” Ginny asked in awe.

“Yeah…here.” Harry pulled out the small piece of parchment that he showed Hermione earlier and handed it to Ginny. Ginny read it once, then twice, and then three times.

“Hermione said that there was something about that last line…” Harry told her, hoping it would be helpful.

Ginny nodded and focused all her energy into figuring out the concluding sentence.

Time recognizes untrustworthy strangers, take validity over lies, disregard emotional, moral, or rational tendencies.”

After skimming it over and over, her eyes became unfocused and took in only some of the letters while she recited it repeatedly in her head. Ten minutes passed, and Ginny’s mind no longer comprehended the words that were playing like a broken record inside her head. Her eyes kept skimming the sentence, and then it came to her.

“Harry!” she said suddenly with a touch of enthusiasm. “Harry, I figured it out!”

“Really?” Harry asked eagerly, moving closer to her to look at the paper.

Ginny nodded. “Do you have a quill?”

Harry pulled a spare out of his pocket and handed it to her. Ginny then started writing hastily on the little parchment.

“Look…T-r-u-s-t”v-o-l-d-e-m-o-r-t…that’s what the first letter from each word spells out…quite a hidden message you got there.” She returned the paper to him, proud of her work.

Harry narrowed his eyes. There has never been a prophecy or prediction or anything for that matter that had hidden meanings in that fashion. “Trust Voldemort huh?” he said quietly to himself. He looked up at the sleeping Draco, hesitant to agree.
**

Two hours passed. Ron had fallen asleep, his soft snores were like a lullaby in the background, but even so, Hermione dared not to close her tired eyes. She watched as Draco/Voldemort, she still didn’t know what to believe, slept peacefully on his bed. Then she heard rustling, squinting her eyes, she tried to see if it was Draco that was making the noise, but then a little giggle joined the sound. Her eyes widened as something brushed across her back in a very disturbing way. She turned around immediately to see whom the offender was. Harry and Ginny were on the floor, making out.

“Ew! Guys!” she scolded in the loudest whisper that wouldn’t rouse Ron.

Harry raised an eyebrow and looked at Hermione.

“Hey Hermione,” he replied casually, and then kissed Ginny again.

“I’m still in the room…” she said annoyed, brushing loose strands of hair out of her face.

“Come on, there’s no point to this, look…he’s sleeping!” Harry said as he threw an arm at the block of light.

“Fine, you two go back to the common room; I’ll watch Draco on my own, since I seem to be the only one who cares,” she hissed angrily.

Harry, too tired to argue, but also too tired to stay, shrugged and got up.

“We’ll take over at five, okay?” he said as he pulled Ginny up.

“Fine,” Hermione replied carelessly, crossing her arms.

Harry woke Ron and the three of them headed back to their soft mattresses.

Hermione huffed, angry that Harry was being so difficult. She sighed and put aside her annoyances, focusing all her attention back on the map.
**

Draco paced nervously around the underground dungeons. The babies were all fast asleep. What was he doing? Why was he working with Voldemort?! He felt his breathing quicken and quickly lost his breath. He was so weak; not only had he switched bodies with Voldemort, they literally seemed to have switched both body and part mind. He felt things he’s never felt before, and he could barely walk twenty feet without having to stop to breathe. He had to get his body back, fast. He could feel Voldemort dying; although he was getting more powerful every day through magic, his health life was bringing him down.

He walked out of the room and his feet carried him to the vortex he wanted; it was funny, he seemed to know things that he shouldn’t have known, and he could definitely do things that he shouldn’t do (but hey, he got the chance to taste power; there was no way he was going to give it up without enjoying it first). He was just about to leave when a red haired man walking down the hall parallel to where he was caught his eye.

“Arthur,” he called. The man stopped in his tracks and turned his head.

“Yes master?” he replied respectfully.

“Come here,” Draco requested, in a voice that almost showed affection.

“Yes sir?” Mr. Weasley questioned as he walked towards Draco.

Draco looked at the man’s glazed eyes and muttered to himself. “Interesting…”

“What is sir?”

Finite Incantatem!” Draco said, putting a hand an inch away from Mr. Weasley’s face.

“What are you doing?” he asked, wondering what spell the Dark Lord was trying to take off of him.

Draco frowned at the negative response. What curse did he use? He asked himself…if not even I can take it off…Doesn’t matter, a voice said in the back of his head. All spells of dark purpose can be broken with the strength of heart. Draco thought about what the little voice said, and then understood what he had to do.

“Come here, Arthur,” he said as he took a seat in the lounge. Mr. Weasley followed and sat down beside him.

“Tell me, how many children do you have?” he asked, looking at the man with worried eyes.

“Seven, sir. Seven children,” he replied detachedly.

“What are their names?” Draco pressed on, trying relentlessly to draw forth some emotion from the old man.

“Bill, Charlie, Percy, George, Fred, Ron, and Ginny.”

“Aren’t you worried about them?”

“Should I be sir?”

“Will you be?”

“If you ask me to…”

“Okay, worry about your children,” Draco almost demanded. Mr. Weasley’s facial expression instantly transformed from vacant to concern. Draco watched on disgustedly as he began expressing his concerns for his children without heart.

“Stop. STOP!” Draco cried. He sighed loudly, rubbing his forehead with his right hand. There has to be some way to get to him, he thought desperately. Well, there is one way…Draco considered the pros and cons of his newfound idea, and decided it would be for the best.

“Arthur…” he began. “Ginny…”

He saw Mr. Weasley’s eyes flash for a second. “Ginny what?” he asked, once again robotically.

“She….she’s dead,” Draco stammered, hoping his acting skills were credible.

Then it hit him. Mr. Weasley bent down slowly and grabbed at his chest, gasping for breath. He let out an agonized cry as he collapsed onto the floor. Draco watched with anticipation; was this what was supposed to happen?

“Mr. Weasley?” he asked timidly, regretting what he had just done.

The man looked up, sweat running all over his face, and horror struck him like lightning.

“What…what do you want?” he asked, stumbling backwards.

“Mr. Weasley, calm down, I’m not Voldemort,” Draco explained at once.

Mr. Weasley shook his head horrified, turned, and ran for his life.

“Oh great,” Draco sighed. “That was brilliant.” He closed his eyes and tracked the man down with his senses. Then, without knowing it, he appeared right in front of him.

“Cool,” he whispered. “Hi sir. I’m Draco Malfoy.”

Mr. Weasley looked at him with wide eyes, but was starting to believe him. Why would You-Know-Who play around like this? He should be dead if this was really He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. He hesitated, then replied calmer, “Draco…? What…how…”

“It’s a long story, but I’m here to help. Common, let’s go.”

He took Mr. Weasley forcefully by the arm and sent them through the nearest vortex.
**

Hermione was just about to let one eye rest when the door flew open.

“Hermione,” Draco whispered loudly.

Spinning around, she fell off her chair as the most hideous creature met her eyes.

“Hermione, it’s me…Draco,” he continued, “Voldemort somehow made our bodies switch…and, well, you see the results!”

“Draco?” Hermione asked…so it the map was right, she thought.

Draco nodded. “I got Mr. Weasley. Where’s Ron and Ginny?”

“They’re back in the common room…” Hermione replied slowly, still recovering from shock.


“All right, I’ll meet you there,” Draco said as he vanished.
**

Ginny screamed when Voldemort appeared in front of the fireplace.

“My, my, my. What are you guys doing here?” Draco said as he tsk-ed at the kids. Harry jumped up and pushed Ginny behind him protectively.

Draco laughed. “Calm down Potty, I’m not Voldemort. But I do have all his powers, so don’t even think about doing anything.”

Harry let out a relieved sigh. “You know, I never thought you could get uglier than your usual self, but hey, I was wrong!”

Draco scowled, but then smirked as he replied, “Just cause you’re jealous of me doesn’t mean you have to go insulting me. I’m sure you’d be grateful if you looked half as dazzling as I do now.” He flipped a side of Voldemort’s robes in a nonchalant fashion and grinned happily at Harry’s disgusted and insulted expression. Then Hermione came barging in.

“Do ya think you could have at least given me a ride and saved me that trip?” Hermione fumed as she caught her breath. Draco suppressed a laugh.

“Sorry luv, but I’m sure you would have preferred those stairs than the scene I barged in on here.” His smiled widened to the edges of his face.

“Please Draco, don’t ever, ever, smile like that again. It’s creepy enough to have you looking like Voldemort; we don’t need an image of him all giddy,” Harry commented.

Draco then smiled even bigger and looked straight at Harry, Harry shivered at the unwelcome sight.

“Oh yeah, Gin, I got a little present for you,” Draco said, returning his face to normal.

Ginny raised an eyebrow, not really wanting to know what this “present” was. Draco bent down, reached his hand through the vortex and tugged. Arthur, in response, came flying through and landed on the floor with a hard thump.

“Daddy!” Ginny cried happily as she fell to the floor to give him a hug.

“Sweetie,” Mr. Weasley replied, returning her hug. “I’ve missed you so much!”

Ginny started crying happily and squeezed her father affectionately.

“Where’s Ron?” he asked, looking around.

“He’s sleeping,” Harry answered. “Want me to go get him?”

“Nah,” Mr. Weasley said, waving his hand. “Let him sleep.”

Harry smiled as he looked up at the boy’s dormitories.

“So…not to ruin the perfect moment, but, can someone help me out?” Draco asked.

“How do you plan for us to ‘help’ you?” Hermione replied.

“I can sense Voldemort is dying, and if I don’t get out of this body, fast, I’m going to be the one who dies, not him,” Draco said with a little alarm.

Hermione frowned. “Well, we don’t know what spell he used on you…”

“That’s the thing, it’s not a spell…Voldemort has this sort of tenth sense…he can tell when he’s under the influence.”

“Tenth sense?” Harry asked amazed.

“Yeah, it’s pretty cool,” Draco said happily. “He has all the five senses, plus the normal sixth sense where he can tell if someone’s watching him, and he can also detect traitors, liars, etcetera. His eighth sense includes detecting power, which unfortunately, you radiate a lot of.”

Harry smiled proudly.

“Don’t let that go to your head Potter, I’m just telling you things that might help later on. His ninth sense can detect disguises so don’t try anything like the Polyjuice Potion. And then there’s his tenth sense.”

“Wow,” Hermione said after he finished. “Do you know any weaknesses?”

Draco rested his chin on one of his hands, contemplating. “Well, all I know right now is that he’s going to die soon if his health doesn’t improve. If you strip him of his powers somehow, you could probably kill him by simply pushing him.”

Ginny laughed at the image. Poof! There goes the evilest man alive, she thought to herself.

“Alright, well before we start figuring out how to change you back, will you draw a map of all the vortexes?”

Draco shrugged, “Why not?” He conjured a sheet of parchment and a quill out of thin air. It took him less than minute, but the outcome looked like a masterpiece. It wasn’t just a picture, he had little 3-D walls protruding from out of the paper, and it was Hogwarts down to the very last dust particle.

“That’s a very nice quill,” Hermione commented, extremely pleased with the result.

Draco grinned. “Oh yeah! Another thing we have to watch out for…the army. I don’t know how to kill it, which means Voldemort doesn’t know how to kill it either…I guess he doesn’t plan on losing those kids huh.”

Harry frowned. “What do you know about ‘his army’?”

“Well, I am a very important part of it. I’m the key. Basically, I created them.”

“You remember the process?”

Draco nodded solemnly. “Voldemort and I merged our blood with unicorn blood. Then he performed a protection spell over it, followed by a wide variety of other spells. Within a few days, they formed into little balls, which I watched over every night. These things are going to be overwhelmingly powerful if they ever reach their full maturity. They’ll have all of Voldemort’s powers and the Unicorn blood makes them stronger.”

“Why did you help him back then?”

Draco shrugged. “I really can’t tell you that. I’d say it’s some sort of spell, but it wasn’t.”

“It was probably part of being the key to his army,” Hermione suggested. “There’s no point in creating you if you don’t agree to do what you’re supposed to do, right? So he must have factored that in when he and Lucius planned you.”

Draco frowned. “Great,” he replied sarcastically. “I know one thing though, once I’m back in my old body, I won’t be able to keep control of my own mind. The only reason why I know everything so clearly right now is because my mind is protected by Voldemort’s body. I’m under zero influence of anything; I’m completely myself, probably for the first time in my whole life.” He let out a sigh.

Harry looked at him sympathetically. “Well, we have to get you out…you’re dying…”

“I know,” Draco replied sadly.

“Make a list of everything that’s happened to you up to the point where the switch occurred,” Ginny said, pushing a sheet of paper towards him.

Draco picked up the parchment and looked at it. Then he shook his head. “I don’t think that’s going to help.”

“It’s worth a try, don’t you think?” Hermione said.

Draco looked at her, he’s been suppressing it for a while, but being around these people mad him angry and want to kill…he knew it was part of being Voldemort, but that still didn’t make it any better. “Hermione…I’m tired. I’m going to go sleep.” And at that, he disappeared.

“What was that?!” Hermione said angrily when he left. “It seemed like he doesn’t want to switch back!”

“Maybe the power got to his head,” Ginny suggested.

Hermione frowned. “Whatever, it’s his life.” She stormed to her room and slammed the door loudly behind her.

Harry and Ginny look up worriedly. Mr. Weasley, who was standing quietly to the side like a statue, cleared his throat. Ginny averted her gaze to him.

“Yes daddy?” she asked with an upbeat tone.

“Where am I going to sleep?”

Harry smiled. “You can have my bed, I’ll take this couch tonight.” He patted the sofa next to him.

“Ron’s going to wake up to a big surprise!” Mr. Weasley grinned and gave the two of them a wink before disappearing behind Harry’s bedroom door.

Harry pulled Ginny closer to him. “Wanna join me?”

Ginny giggled and poked him playfully in the stomach. Harry laughed and picked her up, causing her to scream. She covered her mouth immediately and laughed even harder. Putting her down, Harry gently pushed her hand away from her mouth and kissed her. They fell onto the sofa, but didn’t let that break them apart. Harry hugged her tightly and together they fell asleep next to the warm blazing fire.
**
by Humansitis
Ron awoke slowly as the soft morning light floating through the window greeted him. The freezing winter air bit at his bare feet, and he quickly squeezed them into the protection of his blanket. Unfortunately, it was too late; the coldness had spread under his cover and he was awakened. He groaned lazily and hopped off the bed, still clutching his blanket tightly around him. He was about to shove Harry and make him feel the pain too, but quickly realized that it wasn’t Harry who was sleeping below him…it was his father?

Ron dropped the blanket at once and let it fall onto the dusty floor.

“Dad?” Ron asked in complete shock.

The man didn’t reply, still plunged in his deep slumber. Ron dared to poke him lightly in the ribs. He’s real, Ron thought excitedly to himself. He bent down and gave his old man a harder shove. “Dad!” he tried again.

This time he received more success. Mr. Weasley opened an eye, making it look like he was lifting Mount Everest with it. He promptly remembered where he was and smiled at his son who he had not seen in so very long.

“Ron,” he said as clearly as his morning voice would allow. He covered his mouth as the bad breath followed his words. Ron smiled.

“Dad, when’d you get here?” he asked brightly, pulling his father up into a sitting position.

“Just yesterday night,” his father responded, giving his cramped body a long stretch. “Draco helped me out of the spell You-Know-Who put over me. I’m all better now. He’s not that bad after all…Draco, that is.”

Ron smiled sideways. “Eh, he’s okay, don’t start loving him though, we think he’s still evil; despite the things he’s done lately.”

Mr. Weasley shrugged and swung his legs off the bed. “That boy can be evil, but we still owe him one for saving me.”

Ron nodded and patted his dad on the back. “Glad to have you back, Father.”

**

Ginny gently traced her index finger along the lightning bolt on Harry’s soft forehead. He wiggled under her warm touch, but didn’t awake. She smiled at him; he appeared so peaceful while he slept. It was the one time when Harry Potter didn’t look as though he was carrying the weight of the world on his scrawny shoulders; he looked just like everyone else did when they slept: unconscious. Ginny sighed and buried herself under his chin, hugging him protectively.

**

Voldemort grinned as his dream was cut short. He didn’t dream very often, therefore he knew every single one he had down to the last detail. The one he dreamt last night was the one he had dreamt of over and over again; but never completed. It wasn’t of the war, of his duties, of his men, but of his past love. The one he would have willingly turned good for. But she was not to be his; she was stripped from him by his nemesis. He scowled as reality crept back into his mind. Everything was so perfect in the world he had created for them both…the world in his dreams. But it didn’t matter anymore. He was young again; he could have another chance with love while seeking his revenge.

**

Draco did not have the pleasure of sleeping last night; once he returned to the dungeons it was all about his babies. They kept crying, and crying, and crying. Then after he managed to soothe them all into silence, one would break out bawling again, prompting the others to join. In the end, he decided to use a silencing spell on them, but unfortunately, the spell shot right back at him. If it weren’t for Voldemort’s fortified defenses, Draco was sure he’d be mute for the rest of the night and trapped with no way to hush the children.

He retired in Voldemort’s dank office, exhausted and completely starved. He had managed to successfully keep Hermione off his mind throughout the whole night, but the moment he finally had a second to rest, she plagued his thoughts once more. He couldn’t make himself think straight when it came to the trio anymore; Voldemort’s hate and despise for them was too strong for him to repress. The longer he inhabited his body, the more like him he became. Draco then felt a sudden rush of panic; if he was becoming more like Voldemort…doesn’t that mean Voldemort would become more like him? He felt his appetite ease away at the thought of the evil old goon crushing on his girlfriend. Forgetting all things, he immediately headed for a vortex leading to the school.

**

“Hermione,” Draco whispered softly to the soundly sleeping girl. “’Mione wake up!!” he said on verge of being whiny.

Hermione tossed stubbornly onto her side, facing away from him. Draco rolled his eyes with a groan. He looked around to make sure Lavender and Parvati weren’t going to wake up soon before he bent down, turned Hermione around, and kissed her straight on the lips. Hermione’s eyes instantly flashed open as she closed her mouth around another’s. She began to scream and push Draco away, but he quickly muffled her with his warm hand and shushed her.

“It’s me…Draco,” he said carefully as he released his hand. “I used a Polyjuice Potion to make me look like me again. Honest.”

Hermione narrowed her eyes suspiciously, silently asking him to prove it. Draco sighed, but gave her a crooked smile as a brilliant idea came to his mind. He purposefully leaned in closer to her face, knowingly breathing on her sensitive cheeks, and brushed his lips playfully against her ear. She giggled and pulled away, but he caught her and tugged her back in. He laughed softly to her and dropped feather-light kisses across her face as he returned to look at her.

“You like it when I do that. Trust me, it’s me.” He grinned mischievously. Happy to have him back, even if just for a little while, Hermione gave him a longing kiss and warm hug.

**

“Good Morning!” Mr. Weasley announced as he descended with stairs with a bounce in every step. As always, his face was smiling and he was ready to tackle a new day.

Ginny sat up immediately on the couch and nudged Harry to do the same.

“What time is it?” Harry asked sleepily, rubbing his sore eyes.

“Time to wake up!” Mr. Weasley responded in a happy tone, messing Harry’s hair up with a hand. Ron then came trotting down the stairs, skipping every step or two.

“Morning,” he greeted the people already by the portrait hole. “Where’s Hermione?”

“She’s still in her room,” Ginny answered, looking up at the shut door. “I’ll go get her.”

She ran up the steps and began pounding on the door when she heard little giggles come from inside. “Hermione?” she asked unsurely.

“Just a second!” she heard her reply, obviously trying to hide what she was doing. She heard shuffling, pushing, and then a slam. Hermione appeared in the doorway with a smile.

“Hey Ginny! How are you this fine day?”

Ginny looked at her cock eyed. “You feeling okay?” she inquired timidly.

“Of course! I’m fab!” Hermione then stepped out of the room, and pushed Ginny towards the stairs. They met up with the men, exchanged hellos, and left for breakfast.

**

Voldemort decided that since he was Draco Malfoy now he should play the part; that included going to class, being a good student (grade wise), and doing the normal social activities that a boy did at his age. The Quidditch games were wrapping up, and once again, it looked like Gryffindor would be playing Slytherin in the finals; Voldemort couldn’t wait to stretch his legs on a broom again. He was quite the player during his time, sometimes considered the best, but he wasn’t well liked by anyone except his teammates. Being captain of the Slytherin team this year would finally let him get his chance at fame and glory among the students.

He headed for the Great Hall to have a little snack before doing some laps. Class started at around ten for Draco, so he had plenty of time; seventh year was always the best year at Hogwarts, the tests may be stressful, but the classes were placed so the students had more leisure (unless if they were like Hermione and wanted to overachieve).

He walked into the crowded dining hall and immediately spotted the do-gooders eating together at the Gryffindor table. Should he go talk with them? Voldemort felt more out of place than he had ever been in the past decade. He decided to play it safe and simply sit at the Slytherin table like Draco would have; he kept eyeing the group throughout his breakfast, still unsure about approaching them. Voldemort sighed, frustrated about his inability to make a clear cut decision. He was starting to notice himself fade away while qualities of Draco took over. For one thing, he wasn’t good at controlling his thoughts and feelings, but was remarkable at hiding them. Voldemort finally came to the conclusion that if anything went wrong, it’d be better than nothing happened at all, so he got up and walked towards the Gryffindors.

**

“Voldemort alert…” Harry whispered quietly to Ginny when his eye caught a certain platinum blonde stride through the great oak doors. Ginny passed the message on to everyone else; who then made themselves aware, but didn’t make it too obvious. Ron picked up a piece of bread and tore it in half.

“You know,” he said, stuffing his mouth. “I still don’t see how you guys can just trust Draco/Voldemort like that…I mean, this could very well be a trick. That Draco over there doesn’t seem any different from his usual self, and even if what the real Draco claims is true, he could be working with the Dark Lord for all we know.”

He shrugged and swallowed the now thoroughly chewed bread.

“Trelawney’s premonition told us to trust Voldemort…and the first time I saw Voldemort later, he said he was Draco; and the last time she had an actual prediction, she was right. So I trust her…Dumbledore did.” Harry looked down at his plate and poked his eggs with a silver spoon, avoiding any sympathetic looks.

“We’re not that stupid Ron,” Ginny replied in a very sisterly way. “But daddy, why did you trust him?”

Mr. Weasley looked up from his bacon and put down his fork. “Well, I thought to myself, ‘why would Voldemort bring me out of a spell that he cast on me himself?’.” He paused for a moment and brought his eyebrows together. “Or, perhaps I was just completely bonkers at that time…yes, that had to be it. Boy was I lucky!” He laughed light heartedly and the children joined.

“Oh my gosh,” Hermione suddenly breathed. “Why is he coming over here?”

Everyone looked around in panic, no one knowing what to do. Voldemort was at the table within a few seconds.

“Hey guys,” he said brightly.

Harry kicked Hermione under the table, cuing her to respond.

“H-hi Draco…”she said uneasily. She gave Harry a menacing glare.

Voldemort rocked nervously on his heels. “So…”

“What do you want Draco?” Ron intervened, being true to his role.

Voldemort shrugged. “Nothing…just saying hi.”

“Well hi, you can go now,” Ron replied carelessly, waving him away with a hand.

“But…” Voldemort frowned, he wasn’t good at conversing, and sadly walked away.

Ginny let out an enormously relieved sigh. “Thank you Ron!!! You saved our life…but don’t you think he’ll be kinda pissed about that later?”

Ron shrugged with a sideways grin. “Isn’t he always pissed at us?”

Harry and Hermione laughed in agreement. They finished breakfast and headed for their morning classes.

**

Draco angrily stormed the dungeons, he’d done it again, he went to see that Mudblood. He slapped himself across the face and shook off the pain. He’d have to do something about this…fast.

**

Voldemort stepped onto the freshly cut Quidditch field. The morning air greeted his nose amicably. He carefully mounted on Draco’s Firebolt 2004 and kicked off towards the endless sky. He lapped the area ten times with ease, the weather was perfect, allowing him to fly to the best of his abilities. After he warmed up and adjusted to Draco’s broom, he brushed up on the Wronski Feint. It was perfect, just like old times, he could go down to the last half inch before having to pull away. He whooped aloud in the air and flew in little victory loops.

**

“Master,” Lucius greeted, bowing his head as Draco strode into the room.

Draco looked at his father with scorn. “Lucius, go kill yourself,” he demanded angrily.

“Sir?” Lucius stuttered, already backing away.

“Aren’t you my loyal servant, Lucius? Won’t you do everything I tell you to do? Then why don’t you go run yourself off a cliff and make it look like some very painful accident?” Draco continued with a tinge of sarcasm in his voice.

“I don’t…I don’t understand…my lord…” Lucius said, trembling with fear.

“Of course you don’t understand,” Draco shouted. He swung his hand at his father and slapped him with full force. “Now leave.”

Lucius grabbed his face and disapparated without being told twice.

Draco sighed and pulled up the sleeve on his left arm. He pushed the Dark Mark there and waited patiently for his men to arrive.

**

Hermione pulled Ginny to the side in the halls after Muggle Studies (which Ginny took with Hermione because she skipped a level). “Ginny,” she began, biting her bottom lip. “I need a huge favor…”

Ginny raised an eyebrow and pretended to think for a while. “Consider it done!” she said with a laugh. Hermione gasped and jumped in the air, grabbing Ginny’s arms.

“Are you serious? Don’t you want to know what I’m going to need?”

Ginny shook her head. “Hermione, you’re like a sister to me…if you need help, I’ll gladly be of service.”

(five minutes later)

“NO!” Ginny screamed. “That’s too dangerous. Too many things could go wrong!”

“But Ginny, if I can’t get it right, who else can?” Hermione pleaded with her caramel puppy eyes. “It’s Draco’s only hope…please?” she drew out.

Ginny sighed and glared at her, not in an unfriendly way. “You owe me big time if I lose my head over this.”

Hermione yelped with joy and hugged her.

**

“We’re going to attack Hogwarts tonight,” Draco announced loudly to the group of Death Eaters.

Instantly the room was filled with murmuring and arguing.

“Sir…don’t you think you’re being a bit hasty?” one of them dared to asked.

“Crucio!” Draco replied mercilessly. The man fell to the floor, clawing the earth with inexpressible pain. Draco raised his hand. “Any other questions?”

The men looked around with fear and shook their heads.

“Alright then. Gather our allies, meet back here at six sharp.”

**

“Okay…that should be it,” Hermione said as she sprinkled a couple beetle shells into a cauldron. “This is the returning potion…and this is the switching potion…”

Ginny nodded as she filled another vial with switching potion. “But how do you expect to get Draco and Voldemort to stand together?”

Hermione shrugged. “It’ll happen…” She drew in a breath of air and looked at Ginny. “Ready?”

The red headed nodded. They each threw a bottle of switching potion at one another and were at once blinded by smoke. Hermione coughed and waved the fumes out of her face. “Well, that should have worked,” she said with difficulty.

“Uh…yeah. It definitely worked,” Ginny replied as she watched herself wave her arms around like a lunatic. Hermione looked up and saw exactly what she wanted to see: Hermione Granger.
**

Voldemort practically slept through Arithmancy. Boy was it boring. He hadn’t had to sit still in a single spot for longer than two minutes for a pretty long time. The only part he paid attention to was the part where his professor called his name and he replied with “here”. School was absolutely pointless to him, what’s the point of studying hard and getting good grades when if you don’t know how to interact with people, you’re screwed for the world anyway? That’s why he chose to not get along with people and screw the world.

When class was over, he was the first to leave; where to go now? He thought to himself. It was strange to him that he no longer cared about investigating the school for tactical spots to attack, but then again, he didn’t care about that either. Only one thing seemed to be on his mind: Hermione.

**

Ginny coughed as blue fumes filled her mouth.

“Oh no,” she heard Hermione gasp. “Why didn’t that work?”

Ginny looked down at herself…she was still Hermione! “Wha…why aren’t we switched back?!”

Hermione kept repeating “oh no” like a broken record. “GINNY! Something went wrong!”

“OBVIOUSLY!!” Ginny cried. “We have to get this figured out by SIX tonight Hermione!”

Hermione threw her hands up in the air, “What? There’s a deadline now?! We’ll be lucky if we figure it out period. I thought I got it right!!”

“We should have just asked Professor Snape,” Ginny said regretfully, burying her face in her hands. “Now what?”

“We’ll make another batch. Maybe we just forgot an ingredient.”

“Alright, you work on that, but I have to go do something first,” Ginny replied, already rushing out of Hermione’s room.

“Ginny! Wait! You’re me right now!” Hermione called after her.

“I know!” Ginny replied, halfway down the stairs. “I’m not going to go stripping around the
school Hermione, would you worry a little less?”

Hermione sighed and rolled her eyes. She shut the door and returned to her work.

**

Harry was finishing his Divinations homework when Hermione came barging into his room. “Hermione!” he exclaimed, looking around to make sure his roommates were absent. “This is a boy’s dormitory room! The least you could do is knock!”

Ginny laughed and quickly cleared her throat. “Sorry, Harry. Wasn’t really thinking.”

Harry gave her a forgiving smile as he put down his quill. “So what’s up?”

“You have to cancel your plans with Ginny tonight,” she said demandingly.

“What?” Harry asked, thinking he heard wrong. “Why?”

“Because, you just have to,” Ginny replied, not wanting to further explain the situation. “Reschedule it or something! Please?”

“Hermione…what’s going on?” Harry said as he stood up and walked over to her.

“Nothing,” Ginny answered innocently. “Honest.”

Harry narrowed his eyebrows. “You sure? Did Ginny tell you something because we have been planning tonight for a while…I don’t want to disappoint her.”

“You won’t,” she said confidently. “Ginny will forgive you.”

Harry sighed. “Hermione, I don’t get this…did Ginny tell you to cancel on me for her? I mean, if she’s not ready…then I understand, but…”

Ginny threw her arms around Harry and hugged him. “Harry, you’re my best friend. Please, just do this for me?”

Harry sighed. “Fine. I’ll think about it.”

Ginny smiled. “Thanks!” and skipped out the door.

Harry shook his head as he watched her go. What’s up with her? He thought curiously. Returning to review his homework, he suddenly had an idea.

**

Voldemort was ever so lucky to catch Hermione in the halls later that day. She seemed to be heading towards the library.

“Hey Hermione,” he greeted casually.

Ginny froze in her tracks. Oh no, it’s Voldemort… She gulped and looked at him nervously. And he thinks I’m Hermione…could this day get any worse?!

“Hi Draco,” she replied as calmly as possible. She watched as the imposter walked nearer. What is he doing?!! Does he think he’s actually going to pull off being Draco?

Voldemort stopped right in front of her, leaving less than a foot for air. “You’re all I’ve been thinking about today…” he whispered quietly, looking her straight in the eyes.

Ginny forced herself not to cringe, it was extremely awkward for her; the man talking to her looked exactly like Draco Malfoy, but at the same time was nothing like him. She took in slow deep breaths. Was this really Voldemort? Why would he be saying these things to Hermione? And why did he smell so good?

“Uh…sorry Draco, I have to go…um…I was going to meet up with Ginny about something…I’ll talk to you later okay?” she started backing away, and was surprised to see him let her go. Once she turned the corner, she started to run as fast as she could back to Gryffindor Tower.

**

It was four o’clock. Ginny and Hermione were depressed from all the failures. The potion still wasn’t working right. Ginny whimpered quietly to herself.

“Maybe we should just get Snape, Hermione,” Ginny said at last, tracing the patterns on the white bed sheet. Hermione frowned.

“He’s going to be pissed at us! Students aren’t supposed to do spells like these on their own without supervision!”

“Well, the worst he could do is make us scrub his dungeons everyday…for the rest of our lives…but at least we’ll be switched back again.”

Hermione pouted. “Okay, fine. But I’m not doing it.”

Ginny opened her mouth to argue, but decided that Snape would better accept Hermione’s request than her own. She took in a deep breath and left the room. Hermione followed her down to the common room and waved good-bye, as if she was going off to war. Then she sat idly, waiting for good news to return.

It was quiet and lonely in the common room for the first ten minutes of her wait. What was taking Ginny so long? Hermione thought quietly. But Harry came pouncing down the stairs, two at a time, obviously psyched about something five minutes later. He was about to run straight out of the portrait hole without noticing Hermione sitting there, but right before he left, he saw her.

“Ginny!” Harry called. He retraced his steps and headed towards Hermione. “Hey.”

“Hi,” Hermione replied, hoping to be true to Ginny’s personality.

Harry stuffed his hands inside his robes. “So…” he began uncertainly. “Hermione came by earlier today…”

“Really?” Hermione asked, suddenly interested.

“Yeah…and she said for some reason I should cancel our plans tonight?” Harry finished with definite anxiety.

“Plans?” Hermione repeated completely clueless. “What plans?”

Harry laughed. “You’re kidding right? The plans we’ve been making ever since…” Harry stopped talking when he realized that the girl he was talking to wasn’t Ginny. “Hermione?” he said, scrunching up his face. Hermione froze…busted!

“Oh right! Those plans…yeah, something came up…and I was busy earlier so I asked if Hermione could tell you for me,” she recovered quickly.

Harry nodded, more for himself than for her. “Ginny…you do know we’ve had these plans for almost a week now?”

Hermione nodded feebly. “Sorry, something emergency came up.”

“So it’s not cause you changed your mind?”

“Of course not!” she replied assuredly.

Harry nodded slowly. “Okay then, I’ll talk to later?”

“Alright.”

He gave her a quick kiss on the cheek and left the room. Hermione sighed with relief.

A couple minutes after Harry had left, Ginny came running in.

“I GOT IT! I GOT IT!” she screamed happily. “I got two portions too!”

Hermione jumped up excitedly. “Awesome!”

“It took a lot of persuading and begging, but he finally said yes. Because, he unfortunately admitted, you were a responsible and smart girl, and he trusts that you won’t do anything stupid after this.”

“Oh, and, we both have detention with him for a whole week,” she finished flatly.

Hermione groaned, but then confessed, “It’s worth it.”

They stood together side by side, and Ginny dropped one of the bottles at their feet. When the fumes cleared, they happily saw each other, instead of themselves, again.

“So what were you planning with Harry tonight?” Hermione asked curiously.

Ginny blushed. “Nothing…”

Hermione smiled. “You know, it’s okay to talk to me about those things…”

Ginny turned scarlet. “I know. It’s just, I keep worrying if this is what Harry wants…”

Hermione turned Ginny around seriously. “Ginny, he loves you. You’re all he wants.”

Ginny grinned and hugged her best friend.

**

Harry found Ron at the Quidditch pitch, practicing his saves. He had improved tremendously since the fifth year; he became one of the top Keepers in the last decade at Hogwarts.

“Ron!” Harry screamed at the top of his lungs.

The red head looked down for a second and was hit straight on by a bludger.

“Oooh,” Harry said painfully to himself as he watched his friend fall out of the sky. He quickly cast a spell to provide him a soft landing. “Sorry mate,” he apologized sincerely. Ron laughed.

“That was quite refreshing actually,” he said brightly. “So what do you need?”

“Listen, I think I’ve figured out why Draco and Voldemort switched bodies…”

“You do?” Ron said surprised, it was usually Hermione who figured things out.

“Yeah, I was doing Divinations homework when it all came together,” Harry explained. “Draco had been doing things for Voldemort without knowing it right?”

Ron nodded.

“Well, our subconscious is made up of everything that we do…and especially of things we forget or take little notice of…so maybe Draco because has been so loaded with carrying out Voldemort’s plans and then forgetting them that his subconscious basically overflowed and became reality and caused the switch…”

Ron blinked, absolutely lost as to what Harry was trying to tell him. Harry sighed and rolled his eyes.

“Dimwit version: Draco’s subconscious has surfaced into his waking hours, and now he’s Voldemort and Voldemort’s him. The only way they can switch back, according to science is by making Draco solve all his conflicts; which in this case would be working with Voldemort.”

Ron nodded. “We should go tell Hermione.”

They got up and looked back at the castle, and were shocked to see Death Eaters, Dementors, Werewolves, Giants, Veelas, and Voldemort swarming Hogwarts. The Order members were out front, fighting off as many creatures as possible, but it was obvious that they were out numbered and weren’t going to last long. Harry and Ron looked at each other, not knowing what to do.

“We have to get in there,” Harry stated, pulling out his wand.

“Harry, we’ll be out numbered…” Ron trembled, but nodded his head all the same.

They got on Ron’s Firebolt and flew straight for Hogwarts, never once looking back.

**

Hermione and Ginny heard screams and shouting all over the place. They ran outside and immediately understood why. Death Eaters were appearing in the halls out of vortexes and destroying everything they laid their eyes on. The floor was already scattered with wounded and dead students. Chaos filled the air.

Hermione grabbed Ginny’s hand and squeezed it. “Voldemort has to be looking for Draco; we have to find them both…” she said loudly, but it was just loud enough for Ginny to hear.

She nodded and together they carefully headed down the hall, dodging spells and curses that flew their way.

**

Voldemort sat at the library, sad that Hermione couldn’t hang out with him. He tried reading a book, but his mind was so unfocused that he read a page ten times and still had no idea what it was saying. Fortunately for him, his thoughts were interrupted with horrified screams out in the hall. He walked out of the library and grinned as he witnessed what was happening. He quickly ran down the stairs to find Draco.

**

It would have been impossible for Harry and Ron to get into the school, but the Order defense finally fell and all the evil creatures poured into the school, wreaking havoc everywhere the passed. They followed the crowd, unnoticed.

“Harry!” Ron shouted in order to be heard. Harry turned his head and forcefully brought his index finger to his mouth. Ron pointed towards the stairway frantically, and Harry saw Ginny and Hermione coming downstairs. His eyes widened.

“We have to get to them,” he mouthed to Ron. Ron nodded and they slowly pushed their way towards the staircase.

Thankfully, they reached the girls safely.

“We have to find Draco and Voldemort!” Hermione yelled.

“WHY?!” Harry replied equally loud.

“We have a potion that will switch them back!” Ginny answered.

Harry looked at her and nodded. They were about to join the fighting when suddenly each of them felt a wave of air rush from underneath them and they dropped right through the ground. The silence in the dungeons was magnified due to the deafening noise above.

“Hello,” Draco greeted them, in Voldemort’s body. Voldemort was standing next to him with Draco’s sneer on his face.

“Ginny, now!” Hermione commanded. Ginny pitched the returning potion at the two unsuspecting men. The vial shattered on the ground, but nothing happened.

“That’s what I thought,” Harry muttered to himself. He stood up and drew out his wand. “Draco, if you want your body back, you have to solve all the problems clouding your subconscious. You have to decide what you’re going to do about Voldemort.”

Voldemort laughed. “He’s with me…isn’t it obvious? He’s been with me ever since you and that Mudblood had your little affair. I must say, that was a very stupid move.”

Draco winced, had he really been with Voldemort ever since? His mind was cluttered and confused. He just wanted it to stop. He wanted his mind to be clear! Draco shook his head with force and took in long deep breaths. Harry’s words replayed inside his head. “You have to solve all the problems clouding your subconscious.”

Voldemort, Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Hermione all stood waiting for Draco to make a move, but all he did was stand there and make conflicted expressions. Voldemort couldn’t do anything because he didn’t have a wand on him; and it wasn’t like Harry to attack the defenseless.

Without warning, Draco gasped, followed by Voldemort, and a beam of light hit them both directly on the chest simultaneously. A black entity flew out of Draco’s body and polluted the once pure light while a pale blue entity unwillingly crawled out of Voldemort’s body. The light beams crossed to form an X and the two entities shot into their respective bodies. Voldemort fell back from the force that hit him. Draco stumbled, but kept his balance; he grabbed his chest with pain.

“NO!” Voldemort screamed as he repossessed his weak and decaying form.

Draco looked down at the Dark Lord for once in his life. “You’re dying old man. Give it a rest.”

“Draco, listen to me,” he demanded. “I know you enjoyed my powers. You’ve never felt so strong in your whole life when you were in my body. You know I’m dying. Take my hand and I’ll give all my powers to you…” Voldemort reached out his arm to Draco.

Draco hesitated. He looked back at Hermione. He wish he could explain his thoughts to her, but he couldn’t. He grabbed the Dark Lord’s cold hand and instantly felt something pulling his life away. He screamed in pain and let go.

“What the hell was that?!” Draco shouted hotly.

“I need life during this battle Draco, I was just borrowing yours for a second, like I always do.”

“What?!”

“Every time I took over your body I was collecting your youth Draco; that’s the only reason why I’m still alive. I created you. There’s no reason why I should die when I can feed off of my creation.”

Draco clenched his fists and glared angrily at Voldemort.

“Don’t worry Draco, when it’s my time to go, I’ll go. Rest assured that I will leave you my powers. I trust no one more.” Voldemort grinned and waved his hand.

They reappeared in the entrance hall of the school. Blood spattered the once festive walls. Lifeless bodies littered the marble floor. Ginny gasped and covered her mouth. The battle had moved outside. They could see fires around every corner; hear piercing cries every second. Voldemort walked to the great oak doors and swung them open.

“I’ll spare your lives now,” he said, without looking behind him. “But I doubt you’ll last long out there.”

Voldemort turned around, placed a hand on Draco and they both disappeared.
**

Snape was out in the battlefield, his black robes all torn up, and his energy quickly fading. He had successfully killed ten giants, three werewolves, paralyzed hundreds of Veelas, but he would never be prepared for what was to come.

Dumbledore had told him of an attack that he could use as a last resort before he passed away; to Snape, it seemed like the only option left. He looked around hopelessly as his students and staff fell to the ground. Yes, it was time.

**

Draco found himself inside the secret chamber with Voldemort after vanishing inches away from the war.

“All they need is your touch one more time Draco,” Voldemort told him calmly.

Draco untrustingly turned his head towards him. “What if I refuse?”

Voldemort laughed. “You can’t, that’s the thing. When are you going to learn Draco? No matter how hard you try, you will eventually do what I want you to do; do what I created you to do. You can’t escape me.”

Angry tears welled up in Draco’s eyes; he closed them and a tear slid down his left cheek. He unwillingly placed a hand on the top of a baby’s soft head and felt it expand and grow taller with every passing second. He began crying when he opened his eyes. He created that…he created that monster.

**

Snape had miraculously split a line between the innocents and Voldemort’s army. Of course by doing so, he was mortally wounded, and exhausted. He limped over to the evil side and took in a deep healing breath of air. Striking his wand towards the sky, he muttered a curse over and over and over and over again. The heavens were slowly covered with dark gloomy clouds and low grumbles of thunder. A bitter winter wind blew their way. No one seemed to notice or care for the sudden climatic change. Snape continued his rhythmic chanting, focusing all there was in him. The gray masses in the air soon dominated the sky. He felt a cold drop of rain splatter as it hit his tired and bleeding face. Then another hit him and another and another. It was an endless chain; he was soaked down to his bare body within minutes. The freezing water stole his attention for a fraction of a second, but it didn’t stop his chant.

He smiled slightly as he felt a warm ball of energy gather inside his chest. He screamed with all his might and sent the warmth up through his right arm, through the wand, and into the air. Then he fell silently and yieldingly onto the wet earth. The fireball shot through the clouds and exploded in a brilliant shade of gold beyond the rain clouds. Mysteriously, the clouds in the air followed suit and transformed into the same color. Gathering together, the sky cleared again, in all spots but one; where a huge mass of blinding yellow floated. Everyone stopped what they were doing and looked up. It was amazing yet terrifying at the same time; captivating and nerve wrecking for those who didn’t know what it was. It rumbled once so that even the deaf could hear it. And from the eye of it, a solid deadly bolt of lightning crashed, crashed, and crashed into the middle of Voldemort’s men.

It was safe to say that after the bomb from the heavens was released, the armies were more evenly numbered. Most of the giants had perished, being among the first to get hit; then they killed their own men when they tumbled down on them. The war seemed to be coming to an end, and there was finally some hope for the school.

**

Most of the DA members were still alive when the army came. They were well prepared and stuck together to survive. Harry and company fought well also; if only there were more of them, then maybe the battle would have already been over. The stale air outside cleared itself of the curses that were sent through it when the Dark Lord appeared on the battleground, followed by a platinum blonde man and an army of…an army of indescribable demons.

**

Voldemort didn’t look very friendly; he had recently witnessed half his men perish due to one curse. He was ready for his revenge.

“Draco,” Voldemort said. “Lead my babies to their victory!”

Draco shook slightly in his place. He didn’t want this. This wasn’t the side he wanted to be on; this wasn’t how he wanted to go. But as Voldemort said, he had no control over his own destiny, so why pain himself and rebel? Draco turned around to face the horrible things behind him.

He was about to command the attack when a girl shouted, “WAIT!”

He turned around, but was disappointed to find a disheveled and injured Dee standing there.

“Draco,” she said just loud enough for him to hear. “Draco it’s time you know who I really am.”

Draco crossed his arms uneasily and gave her his full attention. Voldemort, growing impatient,
fired a killing curse at Dee. It hit her. Everyone saw it. The fatal green light struck the innocent girl directly in the chest. But why was she still alive? Voldemort’s eyes widened as realization came to him.

Dee walked a bit closer. “I came here to find out who I was Draco, and I know now.”

Voldemort hissed angrily and threw another curse at her. She was once again immune.

“Day was created because there was night. On was created because there was off. Warm was created because there was cold. I was created because there was you.”

Taking her time, she drew out her wand. “Watch Draco,” she said. “Avada Kedavra!” she directed at him. Draco felt something thump against his chest, but it seemed to dissipate before it entered him. “You see? We can’t be killed. For everything you can do, I can undo. And that’s where I come in.”

She looked over at the monstrous army. “Trust me…” Dee walked forward and placed a gentle hand on one of the demon’s shoulders and the crowd watched as it was eaten by a blue flame. Draco screamed stepped back, holding his shoulder. He was bleeding!

“You’re killing me!” he shouted at Dee, who placed her hand on another soldier. “STOP!” he demanded. He drew out his wand and petrified her. “I may not be able to kill you,” he said as he limped towards her motionless body, “but I sure as hell can petrify you.”

“Well done Draco,” Voldemort acknowledged.

“Shut up!” he yelled, no longer threatened by Voldemort.

“Enervate!” Hermione shouted, pointing her wand at Dee. Draco spun around, caught by surprise and glared at the girl. Dee, once revived, instantly began touching the monsters again. Draco stared wide-eyed, overwhelmed with pain, at Hermione.

“WHY?!” he shouted emotionally at her, crawling anguished down the stone steps.

Voldemort fled over to Dee and petrified her again. He stood in the flames of his dead babies and watched as Draco crossed over to Hermione. Draco felt his strength return to him once Dee stopped killing the army. He stood up, out of breath, and looked pleadingly at Hermione.

“Hermione…this isn’t what I wanted!” he cried exasperatedly. “Those”those things!” he continued, pointing an arm at the erect army standing behind Voldemort. “I didn’t want them. I hate them! I want to kill them…but I can’t! Don’t you see Hermione?! I can’t!”

“Draco,” Hermione said unfalteringly, her brown eyes burning with determination, and her fist tightening around her wooden wand. “You can. It’s whether you want to or not.”

She hesitated, feeling sorry for Draco, but then continued, “ Pick a side, Draco…you’re either with him, or with us.”

Draco’s mind went blank. He let his posture slack as he prudently turned his head back to Voldemort, who stood silently confident amidst the blue flames, waiting for him to return. His breathing quickened as the time to choose flew by him. It is your destiny, a single, strong voice told him. He looked back at Hermione one last time, gulping down every bitter regret he was going to face later, and slowly backed away…
by Humansitis
~*~
This one goes out to all my reviewers - esp. the 5 of you that always check back! *big hug* *evil grin* let the chapter begin.
~*~
It felt like a grand piano had just been dropped on Hermione’s head. Draco was backing away from her…everything he had just said…desiring to fight on the good side…not wanting the army of bastard children…it was all a stupid lie; probably like their relationship had been. Sadness drowned her along with her disappointment. She really thought Draco could have been a good man. She really wanted him to become a good man.

Draco shut his eyes so he wouldn’t have to witness Hermione’s hurt expression. He wanted her to know he was doing this all for her. Everything he did was for her. He turned to face Voldemort when his heel hit the first of many dark stone steps. This is the only way, he told himself silently as he ascended the stairs.

“Welcome back, my son,” the Dark Lord greeted joyously with open arms. Draco scoffed and looked away. He pulled out his wand from underneath his robes, but directed it towards the ground.

“F-father,” he tried, but it sounded too eerie for him. “Sir. I believe she’s right…I can.”

Hermione looked up hopefully. What did he just say? What is he doing? He’s not going to try and kill Voldemort is he?!

“What absurdity are you talking about, Draco?” Voldemort said with a laugh. Draco looked Voldemort directly in his bright red eyes and mockingly saluted him.

“Good bye…” and with the power of his wand, Draco cast the Killing Curse upon himself, and this time, it went through. The process wasn’t painful at all. A warm wave first washed over him, making everything seem irrelevant. Then an extremely bright, and blindingly white light filled the air. The light actually seemed to be originated form his chest. He felt himself get forcefully ripped away from his dead body; his soul was finally freed from the restricted prison it was born into; it was his own, and pure again. But the strange part of dying was that he felt a “thud” after the light disappeared and he collapsed onto the ground. The last time he checked, ghosts couldn’t feel or be felt. He carefully opened his left eye, eventually followed by his right. He saw the blue sky above, and recognized the scene to be exactly where he left off. I’m not dead?! he thought amazedly. He turned his head so that his right cheek was resting on the soft dirt. He watched as Voldemort cried angrily amidst a batch of blue fire.

“Nooo! What have you done?!” Voldemort screamed with pure fury. Every member of his army burst into flames and scattered into the wind within minutes. Draco tilted his head down at Dee; she wasn’t lying very far away, if he tried, he could have touched her with his arm. She smiled warmly at him.

“You did it, Draco. You freed yourself,” she whispered happily to him, before fading away into nothing. Draco looked on with shock. He sat up as quickly as his back would allow and waved his arms frantically in the space she occupied just seconds ago…but nothing was there. He didn’t even get the chance to thank her. But his moment to grieve for Dee was cut short as a flaming Voldemort flew towards him.

“You’re going to pay for that, boy,” he hissed as he grabbed Draco by the neck and lifted him into the air.

“Go ahead, kill me,” Draco dared.

“Don’t think you’re still immortal Draco,” Voldemort replied with a shrieking laugh. “You may have figured out how to escape your destiny and become your own free soul, but you’ve also lost every ounce of power you ever possessed.”

“That’s not true,” Draco replied clearly, but with much difficulty. “I still possess the power of love, and a little bird once told me that love is the one thing you hate.”

And at that, Draco filled his mind and being with his love for Hermione, his mother, his friends, and life; Voldemort immediately released him from his death grip, his hand scarred with permanent burn marks. He started backing away, but Draco firmly grabbed him by the shoulder and placed his hand over Voldemort’s stone cold heart.

“Before you go…I just wanted to tell you, you smell like crap, try taking showers in your next life.” Then he pushed down hard and watched as Voldemort screamed with agony and turn into dust. His army down in the battlefield was long gone. Those who stayed departed after they witnessed the death of their leader. Draco couldn’t believe it. Voldemort was dead.

It was all over.

The surviving students, worn out and tired as they were, cheered and whooped at their victory. Harry took Ginny gently by the waist and pulled her into a tight embrace. They had survived; and that was all they ever asked for. People started chanting Draco’s name, but all that mattered to him was that Hermione glided up to him with a proud smile and kissed him intensely, for the first time in public. When they finally came apart, she kissed him again near his ear and whispered the words he had waited so long to hear:

“Draco, I love you.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=1785