Blood of the Heart by kjpzak
Past Featured StorySummary: 7th Yr Sequel to Ancient Magic. It is now known the power of immortality resides inside Harry and Ginny. Will their combined powers be enough to protect them from the Dark Lord?
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 38 Completed: Yes Word count: 266365 Read: 224058 Published: 03/27/05 Updated: 04/02/06

1. Old Ties, New Beginnings by kjpzak

2. Homecoming by kjpzak

3. Blood Bonds by kjpzak

4. Birthday Surprises by kjpzak

5. Transitions by kjpzak

6. Suspicions by kjpzak

7. Apparations by kjpzak

8. Revelations by kjpzak

9. Bonds Broken by kjpzak

10. Journeys by kjpzak

11. Lost and Found by kjpzak

12. Flames by kjpzak

13. Mother's Love by kjpzak

14. Fondness by kjpzak

15. Mother's Blood by kjpzak

16. Ribbons by kjpzak

17. Options by kjpzak

18. Essence by kjpzak

19. Insurance by kjpzak

20. Fates by kjpzak

21. Holiday Surprises by kjpzak

22. Holes by kjpzak

23. Anchors by kjpzak

24. Simple by kjpzak

25. Acceptance by kjpzak

26. Directions by kjpzak

27. Lady of the Lake by kjpzak

28. Circlet by kjpzak

29. The Tomb by kjpzak

30. The Tomb Part II by kjpzak

31. Sero Compago by kjpzak

32. Warm by kjpzak

33. Circino Amplexor by kjpzak

34. Circino Amplexor, Part II by kjpzak

35. Overpowering Love, Part I by kjpzak

36. Overpowering Love, Part II by kjpzak

37. Touch by kjpzak

38. Balance by kjpzak

Old Ties, New Beginnings by kjpzak
Blood of the Heart


Chapter 1 - Old Ties, New Beginnings



Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit in anyway from the Harry Potter world.






He was alive.


By all accounts, he should be dead.


Standing with his back to the door, Lucius Malfoy dabbed his forehead with his handkerchief, careful to avoid the still healing boils covering his face. His breathing rapid, he felt relief course through his veins. He hadn’t expected to leave the Dark Lord’s residence when he entered it this morning. Taking a deep breath and pulling the hood of his cloak over his head, he stepped off the stoop, wondering briefly if Narcissa would be annoyed that he came home for dinner.


Opening the rusty iron gate, the sense of relief began to morph into anger. A month ago, he had been the Dark Lord’s most valued supporter. Now, he was the Dark Lord’s messenger boy.


Lucius Malfoy wondered bitterly why Lord Voldemort had pulled back his wand when he had told him the name of the man who had interrupted the immortality spell. As Voldemort had turned away, Lucius stared at his master in shocked disbelief. He watched as the Dark Lord absentmindedly rubbed the palm of his right hand and turned to the window.


Entering the flow of foot traffic, Malfoy snarled, realizing he now owed that sorry excuse for a pureblood wizard his life.


++++


Nathan Borgin relaxed in his study in the flat he occupied above Flourish & Blotts. Dumbledore had told him he was more than welcome to stay at Hogwarts over the summer, but Nathan declined, claiming a need to be closer to his investments. Leaning back in his desk chair, he propped his feet on the desk, his mother’s voice ringing in his ears.


Nathan Andrew! You’ll fall over backwards and kill yourself! Don’t give your father the pleasure!”


Shutting her out, Nathan crossed his ankles and reached for a bound pile of parchment on his desk, the last of his father’s work. He studied the front cover, running his hand over it, testing his emotions to see if he could do this. His insides remained numb. Torn between regret and relief over the lack of response, Nathan folded the front page open and began to read.


Addendum to Immortality Spell, Pgs 34 “ 37. Originally noted - the powers of immortality reside in the heart. Through the heart flows the blood of life, the very properties of being. If a broken heart can kill, then one would assume a whole heart would create invincibility. Therefore, true love is immortality in its purest form.

To achieve such immortality, a wizard need only to have the blood of his enemy and the blood of his enemy’s heart flowing within him to sustain his body for all time.

AMMENDMENT - The blood of the enemy’s heart must be given without malice or hatred, which will unlikely happen due to the nature of the relationship. Should the blood be given with such dark emotion, a combustion of sorts is likely to happen, causing severe damage, perhaps even death.


Borgin smirked. What Malfoy would have given to know that, eh? He continued.


The warm July sun beat down on the back of his neck, his cat, Accio, purring in his lap. Nathan’s eyelids grew heavy, his head beginning to nod from drowsiness. Fighting to keep his eyes open, he traced the line he had just read with his finger, attempting to read it again.


Suddenly, his eyes flew open. Nathan uncrossed his ankles, sat up, and planted his feet firmly on the ground. He reread the paragraph he had just reread for the third time.


Borgin’s mind began turning and he wondered.


+++++


Harry opened the doors to the wardrobe in Ron’s room. Pushing aside the mound of shirts that never stayed on their hangers, the dirty socks that never made it to the hamper, and a few rock-solid lumps Harry guessed had been some type of bread product in a past life, he uncovered the box Mrs. Weasley had given him during the last Christmas holidays.


When the time had come to return to Hogwarts after Christmas, Harry had debated about bringing the box with him. After all, Sirius’ personal effects had not taken up that much room. While examining the items had proven to be a necessary push in the direction of healing, Harry had not been ready to really sort through it all. So, in the end, Harry had carefully chosen a book of poetry that gave him a connection to the three people in his life he mourned the most: a gift from his dad to his mum, with a note attached from Sirius.


Harry had then given the volume to Ginny as a sign of his love and devotion. While he had no direct proof, Harry was sure Draco Malfoy had inserted a small, frayed pink silk ribbon in between the pages during an incident outside of their Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. The pink ribbon, a Portkey to the Forbidden Forest, had almost cost Ginny her life. While he had not recovered the ribbon, Harry had saved the book.


After returning to the Burrow, Harry’s initial reaction was to destroy the book. It served as a reminder that anyone who chose to be a part of his life seemed to be put in mortal peril. Ginny, however, intervened, pulling the leather bound volume out of his hands just before he tossed it in the fireplace.


No! Harry, give that here. You can’t throw it in the fire!”


“Why not?”


“Because I won’t let you!”


“But Ginny, every time I look at it, all I can see is you, laying on the ground, Malfoy with that vial ““


Ginny touched her fingers to Harry’s lips. Clutching the volume to her chest, she rested her hand on Harry’s cheek and directed his gaze to meet hers.


“And every time I look at it, I see a gift that represents all the love and laughter and wonder of two people who love each other. Your dad gave it to your mum and I know she treasured it as much as I do.” Standing on her tiptoes, Ginny gave Harry a gentle kiss. “Now, I’m going to go put it away.”


Sighing, Harry followed Ginny up to her room and watched as she placed the volume on top of the trunk across from her bed. Turning to face Harry, she placed her hand on her hip and waggled her finger at him.


“You touch this, you’ll regret it.”


“Yes, ma’am,” he answered solemnly.


“Harry Potter, are you mocking me?” Ginny asked, cocking her head to the side.


“Absolutely not!” he replied, grinning, holding his hands up in front of him in defense. “I wouldn’t dream of ever mocking you! You have back-up!”


Ginny walked over and put her arms around his neck. “Smart man, you are,” she observed before reminding Harry of another reason why staying on the good side of this redheaded witch was in his best interests.


Harry now tucked the box under his arm, forcing the pile of dirty laundry and other assorted treasures back into the wardrobe before closing the door. Grabbing his wand, he headed out to find Ginny.


++++


Ginny spread the quilt over the patchy ground. Plopping down, she scooted over to make room for Harry. She watched as he carefully placed the box in between them. As Harry lifted the lid of the box, Ginny peered curiously over the top.


“What is all this?” she asked.


Harry cleared his throat. “Uh, well, it’s Sirius’ stuff,” he answered.


Ginny looked up at Harry and smiled softly. She was touched that he would share something this personal with her. Reaching around the box, she placed her hand on his knee and squeezed it in reassurance. Harry smiled back and reached in. Slowly, one by one, he drew out the precious keepsakes Mrs. Wealsey had put aside for him, and laid them carefully on the quilt. When he was done, Harry replaced the lid on the box and moved it out of the way.


Ginny picked up a red leather dog collar with an engraved tag hanging from it that read “Padfoot.”


“Do you suppose he wore this?” she asked tentatively, not sure if Harry was up for teasing. To her delight, Harry snorted.


“If he did, I don’t want to know why!” he grinned, raising his eyebrows suggestively.


Ginny laughed and put it down. A small mirror rested next to the collar. Ginny picked it up.


“What’s this?”


“It’s a two-way mirror,” Harry answered, taking it from her and turning it over in his hands to inspect it. His voice cracked when he tried to continue. “Siri- Sirius gave me the other during fifth year. He and my dad used them in detention to talk to each other. I - I broke mine.”


Sensing that was as much as he wanted to share, Ginny nodded and picked up a raveled piece of black fabric. Turning it over, she smiled. It was a Gryffindor patch, most likely from one of Sirius’ school robes. The red and gold stitching had faded with time, but Ginny knew Sirius had worn the Gryffindor Lion with pride.


Glancing over, she saw Harry cradling in his hands an old black and white photograph with bent corners and a crease running through the middle. The picture was a headshot of two young wizards in dress robes, one with his arm around the other’s neck, in a friendly sort of choke hold, pressing the other’s head down in order to rub his knuckles through a mass of messy black hair. Ginny bit her bottom lip and blinked back the tears building behind her eyelids. Shifting to the side, she leaned against Harry, her leg touching his, her shoulder giving support she could not put into words.


“They were the best of friends,” Harry said quietly.


Ginny nodded. “Like you and Ron,” she whispered.


“Yeah,” he said. “Like me and Ron.”


Harry turned the photograph over, and Ginny recognized Lupin’s handwriting on the back.


Padfoot and Prongs “ If only they were half as handsome as they thought they were.


Ginny watched as Harry traced the browned ink with his finger. Then, she felt Harry begin to tremble beside her. She bit her bottom lip, angry at how unfair the world was to have given her so much, and Harry so little. Looking up to comfort him, it took her a moment to realize he was…laughing.


“Harry?”


“I’m sorry, Ginny,” he said chuckling, wiping the wetness out of the corners of his eyes. “It just struck me as funny. I don’t know why. Damn, I miss him.”


Ginny blinked and then smiled gently. “I know you do, Harry.” Resting her head on his shoulder, Ginny watched as he laid the photograph carefully down on the quilt in front of them. They sat there, studying the photograph of the two Marauders until the shadows became long and the chill drove them inside.


++++


Lucius stood in the doorway of his study. The room spoke of a single purpose: power. The Malfoys craved it, lived for it and thrived off it. Now, this was a room without a purpose. There was no power in this room anymore. His jaw clenched, he crossed the threshold.


Lucius circled the large, wooden desk, studying the intricately carved columns, the goblin hewn knobs, the monogrammed desk set that had been passed down from Malfoy to Malfoy. Draco would inherit it, he thought. Resting his fingertips on the desktop, Lucius dragged them across the top and lifted them, a slight trail of dust falling behind, another sign of his loosening grip on authority. The sight of the house elf’s lack of thoroughness burned in his gut. Lucius folded his dusty fingertips into his palm, forming a fist and slammed it on the desk in rage.


The quill in the desk set bounced in its silver holder, the lid on the ink pot rattled, one of the columns clicked. Growling, Lucius leaned down and inserted a finger behind the small, rectangular door that had popped out of the column, prying the door open. Reaching his hand into the darkened space, Lucius pulled out a sheath of parchment. Throwing it on top of his desk, he sat down. He flipped it open and trailed his finger down the page, rereading the paragraphs that had brought him to this current state.


…true love is immortality in its purest form.


To achieve such immortality, a wizard need only to have the blood of his enemy and the blood of his enemy’s heart flowing within him to sustain his body for all time.



There was more. Nathan Borgin had said it was incomplete. Lucius needed it to be complete. Especially before he saw the Dark Lord again to tell him he had delivered his message.


++++


The bell above the door to Flourish & Blotts jingled merrily as the door swung open. Looking up from the order he was tallying, the clerk called out, “Good afternoon, Master Borgin. And how are you?” as Nathan Borgin breezed by, heading straight through a door in the back marked “Flourish & Blotts Witches & Wizards Only.”


“Oh! My!” the witch at the counter exclaimed indignantly as she sidestepped the fast moving professor. “Is he allowed back there?”


The clerk sighed. “When you own half the shop, you can go anywhere you want.”


“Oh, my!” she commented, her eyes on the swinging door, and her tone now interested. Will, the young clerk, rolled his eyes.


Stopping in the middle of the storeroom, Nathan searched the walls for the section he needed. Spotting a particularly cobwebby corner, he climbed over the stacks of scattered boxes and crouched down, wiping dust off the labels. Finding the box he wanted, he pulled it out from under three others, causing them to come crashing down in a cloud of dust and spiders.


“Everything alright in there, Master Borgin?” the clerk called out.


“Sorry about that, Will,” Borgin replied, watching the dust gently falling back into place.


Nathan carried the box over to a small table positioned against the wall. Lifting the lid off, he looked anxiously at the contents. The books inside were small, old and beautifully bound. Pulling one out, Nathan ran his hands over the spine, admiring the work that had gone into making such a treasure. Turning it on its back, he opened the front cover and scanned the table of contents.


Essay on the Effect of Blood Thinning in Trolls Pgs 2 “ 8

Living with Boiling Blood “ Tips on How to Cool Off Pgs 9 “ 15

What Happens if Your Blood Turns to Ice? Pgs 16 “ 24

Blood Bonding Pgs 24 - 29



Borgin flipped to page twenty four and scanned the essay. Smiling, he nodded and closed the book.


Quickly putting the lid back on the box, Borgin tucked it under his arm. Pushing the door to the storeroom open, he made his way to the front of the store. Waving the book and lifting the box up for the clerk to see, he called, “Will, put it on my tab, alright?” before pushing the front door open with his shoulder.


Will nodded but kept tallying the order of a wizard who was purchasing the current bestseller, Garden Gnomes “ Muggle fact or Fiction? Leaning over, the wizard whispered, “It’s okay, son. You can do his order. I’m in no hurry.”


Will grinned. “Thank you, but it’s alright,” he said to the wizard. “Master Borgin already owns all the inventory covered with a centimeter of dust or more. From the looks of the trail he left behind him, that box counts.”


Nathan, his nose in the book, and the box under his arm, hurried around the corner. Climbing the rickety wooden stairs to his landing, he slipped the book inside the box and set it down, reaching for his wand.


Nathan never saw the flash of light that hit him from behind, causing the world to go black as he hit the stairs.


++++


Sounds were echoing in his mind. A dull ache between his shoulder blades told him that he was alive. He winced as a lightning sting of pain shot through his forehead and something cold dribbled down his cheek. Nathan batted at whatever was messing with his head, his hand coming into contact with a solid form.


“Oy! He’s awake, Master Malfoy. He’s awake!”


“Good. Now leave.”


Feeling the rush of cool air against the sting of his forehead, Borgin slowly opened his eyes. Blinking to clear his vision, he sat up, the pain in his head making him dizzy. Pressing his palm to his skull, he looked up straight into Lucius Malfoy’s blazing eyes.


“Lucius! There are easier ways to get my attention, you know,” Borgin said wincing, gingerly shifting his weight, giving him a little room in between him and Malfoy.


“You did this to me!” Malfoy sneered, jabbing a finger at his face.


Schooling his features into a bland smile, Borgin surveyed the damage the immortality spell had caused. Maloy’s face looked like someone had walked over it with spiked shoes. Some of the pock marks were still healing, oozing a thick yellowish pus. Borgin noticed the blood had also left a trail, scarring his left ear and burning down his neck.


Shaking his head, Borgin replied mildly, “You did that to yourself, Lucius.”


“Why didn’t it work?” Malfoy snarled.


“Why didn’t you come to me and tell me what you were doing?” Borgin replied.


“You are not to be trusted,” Malfoy ground out.


“And you are?”


“Why didn’t it work?”


“The blood you took from the girl was not pure. It was tainted with emotion, specifically hate. Had it been free of hatred,” Borgin said, waving his free hand at Malfoy’s face, “that wouldn’t have occurred.”


Malfoy glared at Borgin. “When did you find this out?”


“The same night. I received an amendment to a manuscript my father wrote that day. You wouldn’t by any chance know where that manuscript is, would you?” Borgin asked casually.


Malfoy took a step back, looking distastefully at Borgin.


“He wants to see you.”


“Who?”


“The Dark Lord. He wants to meet with you. He thinks you might be helpful.”


Nathan shrugged.


“I can’t imagine why,” Malfoy sneered. “What does he need with the rubbish you teach?”


“The rubbish I teach is what did that to you,” Borgin said quietly pointing to Malfoy’s scarred facial tissue. “Think of what that kind of power could do in the right hands, Lucius. Just think about it.”


“The Dark Lord will be in touch,” Malfoy said, turning his back to Nathan.


“I’m sure he will be,” Nathan replied, showing himself out.


++++


Ginny stepped out the door of the Burrow and breathed deep, the fresh night air filling her lungs. She loved the summer night air, full of sweet blossoms, a hint of dust and the smell of something burning from the broom shed. Grinning, she carried the plate her mum had sent out with her to the shed and knocked on the door.


“Come in,” her dad called from inside.


Pushing the door open, Ginny entered the dimly lit interior. Her father was bent over a table littered with knobs and wires, several round pieces of mesh like metal and other assorted odds and ends she was sure fit together quite well at one point in time. She cleared a corner of the table, accidentally knocking something off the edge. Setting the plate down, she bent over to pick up what turned out to be a plug.


Arthur Weasley looked up at his daughter and smiled. Seeing the plate, he dropped the mass of wires he was working on and rubbed his hands together.


“Oh, good! I was beginning to get hungry.”


He lifted the red checkered napkin off the plate and made a noise of appreciation in the back of his throat. Picking up half the sandwich, he bit in with relish.


Looking around the table, Ginny’s eyes landed on the plug she had retrieved from the floor. “What’s this to?” she asked.


“Ah,” Arthur said, using the napkin to wipe a bit of mustard off the side of his mouth. “That plug goes to the end of that wire, as far as I can tell. Hermione tells me it’s a radio and music should come out of these,” Arthur held up two speakers. “She’s not sure it will work here, though. Might be too much magic around. Not to mention, we don’t have any eclectricity.”


Ginny nodded, walking around the table, trailing her finger through the dust. Arthur studied her as he finished his sandwich. When he and Molly had brought her home from Hogwarts, she had still been unconscious. Madame Pompfrey and Nathan Borgin had assured them that this was normal after experiencing such an ordeal. He had watched Molly fret and fuss over Ginny, tucking her in, feeding her broth, brushing her hair. At the end of the day, when she was worn down due to worry and work, Arthur had sent Molly to bed and sat with Ginny, reading to her, talking to her, holding her hand as if to beg her forgiveness for not being able to do more. He had been holding her hand when her eyes had finally opened. She had blinked at him “ twice “ and then turned on her side, drawing his hand under her chin, and curling up to sleep. He had stayed there like that until Molly came up to tell him it was time to clean up for breakfast.


Looking at his daughter now, he could tell that, physically, she had healed. The blush in her cheeks had returned, the twinkle in her eye was bright. Of course, that could also be due to the teenage boy who was staying in the twins‘ old room, too, he mused. Then it dawned on him that the same individual could be the reason for the furrowed brow and slight frown his daughter currently wore.


“Is everything alright, Ginny?” he asked, picking up the screwdriver Harry had given him two Christmases ago.


Ginny stopped and sighed. “Yes “ no. I can’t figure out what to give Harry for his birthday.” Ginny screwed up her nose and rested her elbows on the worktable, her chin in her hands. “He gave me this wonderful, amazing, touching gift. I just want to “ to give him something like that back,” she finished.


Arthur Weasley smiled sympathetically. He remembered fifteen going on sixteen. Every little gesture, gift, and look had to have so much meaning in it. Putting down the screwdriver, Arthur pulled Ginny close for a hug. Resting his chin on the top of her head, he smiled, wondering what he had done to deserve such a daughter.


“Ginny?’ he said.


“Hmm?” she answered into his chest.


“Harry is a very lucky young man.”


“Dad, you have to say that,” she said into his green jumper.


Arthur smiled. “Maybe - but it’s true. I’m sure you’ll figure out something Harry will love, simply because it came from you.” Giving his daughter a squeeze, he let her go. “You know, I often find I come up with my best ideas when I’m doing something totally unrelated.”


Ginny snorted. “You sound like Dumbledore.”


“Ah yes, well, he’s a very wise man. It’s an honor to be compared to him. Now hand me that hammer. I want to see what happens with I bang this thing over here.”


++++


Nathan rubbed his forehead, his fingers coming into contact with the freshly reapplied bandage. Hissing, he drew his hand back, cursing Lucius Malfoy under his breath. Carefully placing his left hand on the edge of the desk, he reached down and opened the bottom desk drawer with his right. Sifting through several other manuscripts, he drew out the amendment to his father’s final work and laid it on the desk.


Lifting the lid of the Flourish & Blotts box which had still been waiting for him by his door when he returned, Nathan pulled out another copy of The Power that Flows Through Us.


Borgin sat back and took a deep breath, tenting his fingers in front of him. Slowly nodding, he slipped the leather bound volume in his pocket. He then picked up the amendment and laid it in the box,carrying it to the fireplace. Placing it on the grate, Borgin pointed his wand at the fireplace and uttered “Incendo.”


Watching the flames, he decided he could really go for a butterbeer right about now.


++++


Stepping into The Three Broomsticks, Nathan scanned the room. His eyes rested on a booth in the back where Snape sat, his fingers drumming on the side of a glass. Weaving his way through the patrons, Nathan made his way to the table and slid in.


“Severus,” he nodded.


“Nathan,” Snape replied curtly.


“Is he coming?” Nathan asked.


“He’s a busy man. He will be here when he can be.”


“I see,” Nathan said, nonplussed.


“Something to drink, Professor?” Madame Rosmerta asked, sidling up to the table.


“Butterbeer, please,” Nathan smiled at the proprietress.


“Ah, one for the strong stuff, I see,” Madame Rosemerta smiled.


Nathan grinned. “Watch me. I may order a second.” Giving him a wink, Madame Rosemerta headed back to the bar to get his drink.


Turning to Snape, Borgin studied his housemate. Snape had been several years behind him in school, so he had not known him well, and Snape had not been all that outgoing the past term, careful to stay out of Borgin’s way. It didn’t escape Borgin that he and the Potions master had more in common than Snape probably liked to admit.


“I remember you from school, Borgin,” Snape said coolly.


“Really? Pleasant memories?” Nathan replied mildly.


“Not particularly. Of course, you ran with your own crowd.”


“Yes, I suppose I did.”


“Do you know your place?” Snape accused abruptly.


“Do you know yours?” Borgin shot back.


“Ah, gentlemen, I’m sorry to keep you waiting,” Albus Dumbledore broke in as he slid into the booth across from the two Slytherin alumni. “Did you bring it, Nathan?”


Borgin slid the book out of his pocket and placed it on the table. Snape looked distastefully at the title.


“Really, Borgin. Are you expecting us to believe some sensational tabloid type rubbish written by a delusional witch?”


“She wasn’t delusional,” Borgin replied coldly.


Opening the book, Borgin turned it around to face the Headmaster and Snape. He watched as they read, Dumbledore’s expression unreadable, Snape’s brow furrowed. The two wizards finished and met Borgin’s gaze.


“Would she come?” Snape asked quietly.


“I don’t know,” Borgin answered truthfully. “I don’t even know where she is.”


“I do,” Dumbledore said. “Write to her, Nathan. She’ll come.”


+++++


She looked at the letter on her kitchen table. No one ever sent her owl post. Or Muggle mail, for that matter. No one knew who she was or where she had been for almost forty years. Well, that wasn’t right. One did, but he hadn’t contacted her for almost seventeen. That was why, when the tawny brown post owl had pecked at the window above her sink this morning as she was washing her tea cup, she had almost fainted.


Slowly walking around the table, the witch cautiously prodded the letter, its address resting against the scarred surface of the wood, the wax seal staring at her low ceiling. She pulled her hands behind her back and rocked back on her heels, trying to decide what she felt rolling around in her stomach. Fear? Excitement? Trepidation?


Leaning over the edge of the table, careful not to touch anything, the witch held a magnifying glass above the seal so she could see it better. It was not that she was against wearing glasses, there just was not anyone nearby who sold them, carried them or could get them for her. She lived in the middle of nowhere, and she liked it that way.


The seal on the letter was blue, the rich, sunny blue of the sky on a spring day. The letter “B” stamped in the middle spoke of strength, power and wealth. At one point in time, that stamp had also spoken of death, destruction and fear. Looking at the “B” her heart tugged, the maternal twinge catching her off guard. Foolish, she admonished herself. She had ended that part of her life. With the flick of her fingers, the letter shot off the table and onto the hearth, the heat of the fire, causing the blue wax to hiss and spit as it melted.


Turning her back on it, the witch returned to the sink to finish washing up. But something pulled her back to the fire. Slowly reaching out, her fingers curled in anticipation, lingering over the melted seal. Had he forgiven her? Idiot, she chided herself. She was too old to get her hopes up.


She was also too old to turn her back on possibilities.


Picking up the warmed letter, she scraped the melted wax off the back, unfolded the pieces of parchment, and began to read.


++++


AN “ And we begin again!

All my thanks wvchemteach for your endless supply of plot bunnies and feedback! Without you, this would be much shorter (!) and not nearly as good.

Also, my thanks to pavartipatil for her spit and polish “ she makes me look good!

Lastly, but most importantly, my thanks to my husband and family for putting up with me and my hobby!

And may you find all your eggs before they find you. Enjoy!
Homecoming by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not claim to own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.



Homecoming






She stepped off the train at Kings Cross Station. She loved the way Muggles traveled. It was so unnecessarily complicated and error prone. No one ever seemed to get where they wanted to go when they wanted to get there. She found it refreshing. Witches and wizards took it for granted that they could get to a destination in seconds by stepping into a fireplace or waving a wand. You never got to read a good book when you used the Floo Network. Not to mention that, in her opinion, Apparating took all the adventure out of lost luggage.


Pulling her cloak closed, she watched as the business people pushed their way between the rapidly closing doors of the train’s coaches, tried to walk with their noses in the morning papers, and juggled briefcases and bumbershoots for that impending summer rain the morning news forecasted. Unobtrusively, she studied several women dressed in business suits making their way to the nearest platform. Taking a quick inventory of her appearance, she decided her first stop was the closest dress shop. After all, if she was going to face her past, she was going to make sure she looked good doing it.


++++


CRACK!


“OY! Will you two get off? Hasn’t your aim gotten any better?” Harry exclaimed as he struggled to escape the weight of Fred and George who had just Apparated into their old bedroom onto one of their old beds. Unfortunately for Harry, he happened to be in the bed at the time.


“Good morning to you, too, Harry,” Fred said as he handed Harry his glasses.


“Our aim is excellent, Harry,” George chimed in.


“You just think we didn’t mean to Apparate on top of you,” Fred said.


“You see, young Harry, you are now Ginny’s beau.”


“And for that, we decided to land on top of you.”


“Now, up! Up! We’re your Honor Guard to Diagon Alley!”


“Honor Guard?” Harry asked, sliding his glasses up his nose.


“Yes, it seems the Order, a.k.a Mum, wants you protected,” Fred said.


“As full fledged Order members, we volunteered,” George explained.


“We need chaperones?” Harry asked, disgruntled. He had been looking forward to spending a day with Ginny doing things a normal teenage couple would do: eating ice cream, window shopping, holding hands.


“Don’t think of us as chaperones, Harry,” Fred said.


“Think of us as your ticket to a day out of here,” George said, waving his hand around the room.


Sighing, Harry scooted farther up into a sitting position. “Who’s watching the shop?” he asked curiously.


“New chap, young but eager to please,” George stated.


“Not to mention rather gullible. Makes for a good test subject,” Fred added.


Harry snorted. “Can’t wait to meet him.”


++++


Stepping out of The Avenue Clothiers, she looked up and down the busy London street. She had missed London. It had been almost seventeen years since she had been here. Things had changed. Progress, she thought ruefully. But then again, she had always liked Muggle progress. It was fascinating in its bulkiness.


“Ma’am? Excuse me, ma’am, you left your other belongings.”


One of the young shop girls who had helped her gingerly held out a pale pink bag, the shop’s logo depicting a sophisticated young woman sipping a cappuccino at an urban coffee house on the front. Glancing over her shoulder at the young woman, she waved her hand.


“Burn them, please,” she instructed as she stepped down onto the sidewalk.


The morning air was filled with the sounds of the city: the horns, the brakes, the people. She window shopped as she walked, soaking in the current culture, the mood of the times. From what she could determine from life on the street, it was business as usual for the Muggles. Stopping at a newsstand, she picked up the latest paper, gave a pound note to the clerk and tucked it under her arm. Crossing the street to a coffee house, she found a seat outside, ordered a cup of tea and opened the paper.


Many years ago, she had lost herself in Muggle London. Where better for a witch who needed to hide than here? She had been near enough to keep tabs on the people she needed to keep tabs on, and far enough away from those who wanted to keep tabs on her, for the most part. .


Folding the newspaper and placing it on the table, she pulled out the letter she had received two days ago. Laying it carefully on the small round table in front of her, she picked up her tea cup, cradled it between her hands, and studied the address written in neat, disciplined script on the front. If sent by Muggle post, this would have never found her. Score one for the wizarding world, she mused.


Setting her teacup aside, she unfolded the letter, slipping the address page off. She studied the writing on the second page, a surge of pride coursing through her. She hadn’t seen him since he was fifteen. It had broken her heart to leave him, mostly because of what she was afraid he would become. But the Headmaster had promised he would turn out fine.


She could still remember that day at Hogwarts.


Dumbledore had seen her, pacing in the Great Hall, her cheeks damp with worry, her gloves twisted in her hands. Touching her on the shoulder, the Headmaster had motioned her to follow him into his office. Up to this point, all communication with Albus Dumbledore regarding her son had been taken care of by her husband. Now, as she heard him say the password, “Licorice Laces,” she wondered if that had been a wise decision.


Dumbledore’s office had fascinated and terrified her at the same time. The spinning tops, the whirring mechanisms, the judging portraits all seemed to say, “We know who you are.”


Dumbledore sat down behind his desk and studied the young woman who was trying valiantly to blink back the tears threatening to fall. She was…smaller than he had imagined. He motioned for her to sit in one of the chairs facing his desk.


“He speaks highly of you,” she said quietly, sitting slowly, folding her hands in her lap.


“Thank you,” Dumbledore replied. “He is a fine young man.”


“He is a conflicted young man,” she said, her eyes focused on her hands.


“Yes, but he has a lot of you in him.”


“I’m not sure that is a good thing,” she admitted softly.


“Why do you say that?” Dumbledore questioned gently.


Looking up into the Headmasters’ solemn eyes, she realized…he knew. He knew what she was and what she had done. Well, of course he would. He had been a professor here then, she chided herself.


“I have to leave,” she said quickly.


Dumbledore nodded.


“I - I don’t know what to do,” she said desperately.


“I can help you.”


She blinked at him. She didn’t have any friends to help her. Her life had been swallowed up by her husband. Her parents were long dead. She had no siblings. Taking a deep breath, she accepted.


“What will become of him?”


“He will be fine.”


“How do you know that? Does one of these instruments tell you that? Does it whirl and twirl and spit smoke and say ‘The answer is, he’ll be fine, you’ll be fine’?” she said, her voice filled with stress, rising in volume as she waved her hands at the various instruments on the shelves and the tables scattered around the office.


“No,” Dumbledore replied softly. “My heart tells me that.”


Her hand dropped back into her lap, her shoulders slumped in acceptance. Taking a deep breath, she looked into the Headmasters’ eyes.


“Where should I go?” she asked quietly.



London. Dumbledore had told her London. And so, not even waiting for her husband to come up the staircase from the dungeons, she had walked out the front doors of Hogwarts and not allowed herself to look back.


She severed all ties to the magical world, which weren’t many to begin with. She stopped using magic in fear of being tracked down by some misguided Ministry official. She leased a flat and found a Muggle job as an administrative assistant in a company that sold drill bits. She had opened a bank account, bought her own groceries, learned how to cook on an electric stovetop and had earned her own driver’s license. And she had watched from afar, helpless to save him.


She had lived a quiet life for many years until one early fall morning, almost seventeen years ago.


A co-worker had brought her a cup of tea along with the latest gossip which was quite scandalous. One of the salesmen had just had a baby and didn’t want anyone to know. Well, the salesman hadn’t really had a baby, more like he had one foisted off on him. Found on his doorstep, it was. Parents died in a car crash. Was the child hurt? She had asked. No, no, barely touched.


Just a scar on his forehead.


She had smiled and laughed and listened to the speculations about exactly who the parents were and if that was just a story cooked up to cover up something not so savory.


On her way home, she stopped by the shop to pick up some groceries. Her arms full of shopping bags, she cursed under her breath for forgetting her mesh bags with the handles. Jostling the bags to one side, she wrestled her key out of her handbag. Slipping it in the lock, she opened the door, stepped inside and pushed the door closed with the heel of her shoe.


Walking into the kitchen, she set the bags down and almost screamed at the sight of the owl sitting on the back of her kitchen chair. The owl had entered her kitchen through the open window above the sink. Her hands trembling, she reached forward to untie the parchment attached to its leg. Fumbling, she almost dropped it, before she caught it again and unfolded it.



Leave.


Dropping the parchment, she stood still for a moment, her body rigid with shock and fear. Then, she turned and walked away, away from the groceries on the table, from her job at the drill bits company, from her wonderful flat, and her precious bank account.


And, despite all of that, he had still found her. And he had used her talents to survive. Granted she had had little choice, but she still despised herself for it. What she had done was worse than leaving her only child behind



She wondered in later years why she simply had not killed herself. Truthfully, it was for the same reason she had left her son so many years ago. She had been afraid. She had been afraid to give him the ability to do this to someone else.


And now, looking at the letter, she was afraid her fears were becoming reality.


Setting her tea cup down, the witch picked up the cover sheet of the letter and shredded it. Standing up, she scooped up the pieces and deposited them along with the newspaper in the bin. Stepping onto the sidewalk, she headed up the street. Two blocks later, she entered the First Street National Trust Bank. Walking up to an open teller window, she presented a key and signed a slip of paper. Upon comparing the signature to the one on file, the clerk ushered her through a half-door, and into the safe. The clerk inserted his key into one of the locks, motioning for her to do the same in the other. Turning both, the clerk pulled out the long, rectangular box. It rattled as something rolled inside it.


Placing it on a table, the clerk said, “Just let me know when you’re done, ma’am.”


“Stay,” she said. “I won’t be but a minute.”


Opening the lid of the safety deposit box, she quickly emptied it and closed the lid. The clerk’s eyes never left the woman’s hand as she exited the safe and pushed the doors to the street open.


After all, not many bank customers kept their wands in safety deposit boxes.



++++


“Hermione, do we have to go into Flourish & Blotts? Can’t you go by yourself?” Ron complained, as Hermione pushed the door to the bookstore open.


“Ron, we have to stick together. We promised your mother,” Hermione explained patiently. “Besides, Ginny mentioned needing to get something here, too.”


Harry looked at Ginny in surprise. Flushing slightly, Ginny shrugged. “It’s just something little. Won’t take me long.”


“Can I help?” Harry offered hopefully.


“No, you can’t,” Ginny answered smiling. “It’s a surprise,” she said, letting go of Harry’s hand and trailing Hermione toward the back of the shop. Looking over her shoulder, she winked at Harry.


Harry could feel his cheeks growing warm but couldn’t help grinning back.


“Mate, you have it bad,” Ron said, putting his hand on Harry’s shoulder.


Fred snorted. “No worse than you, Ronald.”


“Yeah,” George chimed in. “Look at yourself. In a bookstore. In July!”


Ron grinned. “And exactly where are the two of you?” he asked, before ducking behind a shelf of books to avoid a quill that came flying his direction.


Walking toward the back of the shop, Ginny’s eyes scanned the shelves, looking for the section she wanted. She had finally determined what to get Harry for his birthday and wondered why it had taken her so long to figure it out. After all, it had been Harry’s idea in the first place. In between Happy Habitats for the Housebound Hag and Hiccup Cures and Other Odd Muggle Remedies, she found what she was looking for. Slipping it off the shelf, she started flipping through it, walking back up the isle, her eyes focused on the pages . Not looking where she was going, the book went flying out of her hands as she ran directly into another customer.


“OH!” Ginny exclaimed, catching herself on the bookshelf to her right. “I’m so sorry!”


“Not at all,” came the amused reply. “I have more reading related injuries than I care to admit myself.”


Leaning down to scoop up her book, Ginny turned to face the witch she had run into.


“Are you alright? I’m afraid I had my nose in my book and wasn’t looking where I was going. Well, obviously, I wasn’t looking where I was going,” Ginny said slightly embarrassed.


“I’m fine,” the witch assured her with a smile. “Do you mind if I ask what book has you so entranced?”


Ginny turned the book to show the witch who read the title, her eyes widening. “Well, I suppose I should be glad I ran into you before you read that, eh?”


“Oh, no, actually it’s a gift,” Ginny rushed to explain.


The witch giggled. “A gift? And pray tell, who is the deserving recipient? I hope he’s a friend.”


Ginny’s embarrassed flush deepened to a full out crimson blush.


“Ah,” the witch nodded knowingly. “More than a friend, I gather.”


Ginny looked at her shoes. She was not sure why she was suddenly shy about her and Harry’s relationship. She just realized, though, she had never had to introduce Harry as her boyfriend. Everybody at school just knew. And when Bill had visited at Hogwarts last term, he had come home armed with the knowledge he owed Charlie 5 Galleons because of a Weasley family betting pool guessing when she and Harry would start dating. Not if, but when. But she had never had to introduce her new relationship with Harry to a stranger.


Sensing her discomfort, she held out her hand. “It is a pleasure to meet you,” the woman said, holding out her hand. “I’m Catarina.”


Ginny looked at the outstretched hand. Trusting a complete stranger these days went against every instinct in her body. But there was something about this witch that was oddly familiar. Her salt and pepper hair was tucked neatly into a knot at the base of her neck. Her clothing was neat and tidy…and very Muggle. She had an open, genuine smile that drew Ginny in, making her feel somehow connected, as if she and Ginny had known each other their entire lives. Slowly taking the offered hand, Ginny smiled.


“Ginny Wealsey. Um, do you mind me asking? Are…are you a witch?”


“Guilty,” Catarina answered with a smile. “A witch with a taste for Muggle fashion. Actually, I would have to say, throughout the years, I have developed a taste for most things Muggle, although I have never been much for those electric toothbrushes. Takes the fun out of the whole process, if you ask me.”


“My dad would love you!” Ginny exclaimed. “He loves anything and everything to do with Muggles.”


“Really?” Catarina said. “I have the greatest sympathy for your mother, then,” she grinned impishly.


“Hi, Ginny,” Hermione said coming up beside her.


Catarina looked at the thick volume under Hermione’s arm. Nodding approvingly, she commented, “Getting lost in a good book is a wonderful way to spend a summer day. What are you reading?”


Looking slightly taken aback, Hermione replied hesitantly, “It is a fascinating historical text regard-“


“Hermione!” Ron called from the end of the isle. “Are you two done yet? Fred and George need to get back to their shop.”


Slightly perturbed, Hermione turned to Ginny and sighed. “Are you ready, Ginny?”


“I found it,” Ginny nodded. Turning to Catarina, she held out her hand. “It was very nice to meet you, Catarina.”


Catarina smiled and shook Ginny’s hand again. “I don’t mean to be nosey, but by any chance are you related to the joke shop I noticed further down the street?”


Ginny grinned. “Yes, I am! My brothers own it. Would you like to meet them?”


“I’d love to!” Catarina exclaimed, noting the pride in Ginny’s voice when she mentioned her brothers.


Ginny led Catarina and Hermione to the front of the store. “Catarina, I’d like you to meet Fred and George, the Weasleys of Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes.”


“It is a pleasure to meet you,” Catarina said, smiling and shaking the twins’ hands.


“And this is Hermione Granger and my brother, Ron,” Ginny continued. Shoving the book she was still holding behind her back, Ginny nodded in Harry’s direction and felt the blush begin to creep back into her cheeks. “And this is Harry.”


“This is Harry,” Catarina repeated, smiling knowingly at him and offering him her hand.


Harry smiled politely at Catarina and shook her hand. Something in her tone told him she knew something about him and it had nothing to do with his scar. He watched as she turned her head to look at Ginny and winked.


Backing toward the front counter, Ginny grinned. “I have to make my purchase. I’ll meet you outside, okay?”


“After I purchase these,” Catarina said, waggling three books in the air, “would you mind if I tagged along to the joke shop?” she asked. “I don’t mean to intrude, but I’ve always had a weakness for a good prank. I would love to see it.”


Ginny rolled her eyes as Fred and George fell all over themselves, promising a private tour. She and Catarina made their way to the front, while the rest of the group headed out of the shop. The last of the group, Harry was blushing madly when he finally made it to the fresh air. He could have sworn he heard Catarina comment quietly to Ginny as they went to the counter, “My, someone up there likes you a lot!”


++++


George pushed the door open to Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes and stepped back, allowing the group to enter before him. Ginny quickly covered her head with the flat, rectangular packages she carried. A shower of confetti gently fell to floor. Sidestepping the charmed dustpan and brush that moved in to clean up the mess, Ginny looked around the shop. The joke business was thriving, partly due to the twins‘ seemingly endless creativity and partly due to their uncanny business sense. Ginny continued to be impressed by how two such accomplished pranksters could also be such well respected, shrewd businessmen. It was almost as if that was the twins‘ biggest prank of all.


“I’ll be right back. I need to go check on our new boy,” George said as he headed back to the storeroom.


“Welcome to Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes,” Fred said proudly as Catarina entered.


“Amazing!” she said awed.


Fred looked approvingly at her reaction and nodded. “Yes, it is amazing. Allow me to fetch you our latest order form. I’ll be right back.”


Catarina turned around, taking in the shelves and barrels of Whiz Bang fireworks, Ink Pellets, fake wands, exploding quills and candies that did everything imaginable to every part of the human body “ temporarily, of course. Smiling widely at the possibilities, she walked over to a shelf stacked with boxes. Picking one up, she turned to Harry and Ginny.


“What are these?”


“Those are the Skiving Snackboxes,” a voice spoke from behind. Ginny turned to face a young man wearing a nametag and what looked like a lion’s tail. On closer inspection, she saw the name on the tag was Stewart and the tail was real. “They are one of our best sellers, designed to come to the aid of a witch or wizard in need of an escape from a particularly sticky situation.”


“You don’t say,” Catarina said, examining the sides. “Well, I think I may have to have one. Can you put it on the counter? I’m sure I’m not done here yet.”


Stewart nodded and took the snack box to the counter.


“What do you suppose the story is with that tail?” Catarina asked conspiratorially to Ginny.


“I’m guessing it was a test product gone wrong,” Ginny said out of the side of her mouth, her eyes following the tail trailing across the ground.


“And I here I thought fur was out of style,” the older witch commented wryly.


Ginny snorted. “Nothing is out of style in Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes.”


“Ah,” Catarina said smiling knowingly. “I’m guessing you’re rather glad they hired young Stewart there?”


“I can eat breakfast without worry now,” Ginny nodded. “Well, mostly,” she added.


Fred and George emerged from the storeroom waving a piece of parchment Ginny guessed was at least two feet long. Obviously, inventory was expanding.


“Oh, my!” Catarina exclaimed. “Excuse me,” she said to Harry and Ginny and headed toward the twins.


“Hey, check out who just walked in,” Ron said, elbowing Harry in the ribs.


Turning toward the door, they saw Professor Borgin shaking confetti out of his hair and hopping over the dustbin.


“Professor?” Hermione said with a small wave. “Hello!”


“Hermione! Nice to see you,” Nathan said, walking up to the them. “Harry, Ginny, Ron,” he nodded, extending his hand in turn. “How is summer treating you?”


“Well, so far,” Ron answered.


“How’s the Apparating coming along? I understand you’re taking the exam in the next couple of days,” Nathan commented, smiling.


“Fine,” Harry and Ron said both at the same time. Ginny giggled.


“What?” Ron asked indignantly. “It is fine. I’m all in one piece.”


“Yeah, you might be. Can’t say as much for the breakfast dishes,” Ginny said.


“It’s not my fault you hadn’t cleared the table yet,” Ron muttered.


Chuckling, Nathan turned to Ginny. “And how are you feeling, Ginny? Back to normal?”


“I’m fine, Professor. Thank you. What are you doing here?”


“I’m here to see Fred and George. But I see they’re bus-“ He stopped mid-sentence.


Following his gaze, Ginny saw he was looking at Catarina’s back. “Her name is Catarina,” Ginny said helpfully. “She’s Fred and George’s newest patron.”


“I know who she is,” Nathan said quietly. “Excuse me.”


Stepping through the foursome, Nathan walked over to where the twins were entertaining Catarina with tales of projects gone wrong. Looking up, Fred poked George in the ribs.


“Nathan!” Fred said.


“What brings you here?” George asked.


Catarina turned slowly to face the professor. Nathan was a good six inches taller than she was. She had to crane her neck to look into his eyes. Taking a deep breath, she held out her hand.


“Hello, Nathan,” she said quietly.


Ignoring her hand, Nathan just looked at her.


“Hello, Mother.”


++++++


“You came.”


“You asked me to come.”


“He said you would.”


“Who? Dumbledore? Yes, he seems to give some us more credit than we deserve.”


Nathan nodded. They stood facing each other in the flat’s small kitchen area. Catarina was thankful for the four feet of cherry wood table top that separated her from her son. She was not sure either one of them was ready to be any closer at the moment.


Nathan turned away from his mother. He had always assumed she was alive, but by not knowing where she was, he had always been able to think of her as dead. He had thought himself beyond the pettiness of seventeen, when he had sat in his cell in Azkaban, fighting for his sanity, raging against what she had allowed to happen by not being there to stop it. But, then again, that was nothing compared to the rage he had felt when his father had told him why she had left two years earlier. Nothing would ever compare to that.


Twelve months after being dragged in, he had stumbled out of Azkaban armed with a desire to make something of his life unrelated to his past and with a certain understanding for why his mother had gone into hiding. It still did not mean he forgave her. He wasn’t sure he ever would.


Catarina followed her son into his study. Turning in a circle, she smiled. Nathan was definitely her son. His study looked almost identical to much of her home. She had often wondered why she bothered with furniture. She could simply stack the books up and sit on them, eat on them, sleep on them. She was glad he had not turned away from this part of his life. She stepped closer to examine the titles.


“Do you have any favorites?” she asked as she scanned the shelves.


“If you had been around, you would know,” Nathan muttered, immediately regretting the words the minute they were out.


Catarina straightened. Yes, maybe they did need to have this out, she thought.


“I didn’t want to leave, Nathan.”


“I know,” Nathan sighed, sitting down behind his desk.


“I had to,” she said quietly.


Nathan ran his hands through his hair and looked up at his mother. Catarina walked over to one of the leather chairs in front of the desk and sat down. Folding her hands together, she locked them between her knees.


“Nathan, you asked me to return. I don’t ask for your forgiveness. I did what I had to do,” she said, before pushing her elf up out of the chair and starting to pace the room.


“I wanted to kill your father for putting you through what he did. I wanted to come forward and explain why you couldn’t be at fault, but I couldn’t. I had to let Albus do the talking for me.”


“You knew Dumbledore came?” Nathan asked surprised.


She nodded. “Then, after you got out, I tried to come see you. I followed where you were, what was happening in your life, your accomplishments, your defeats. I was so proud of what you were becoming. I am so proud of what you have become,” she corrected herself. Walking to the window, she felt the breeze cool the tears on her cheeks. “But…well, you know what happened.”


Turning back to her son, she leaned against the window. “Why did you write to me? Why did you want me to come back?”


Nathan toyed with the quill on his desk for a minute. He had known when he wrote her, she would come.


“For a Blood Bonding.”


He heard her catch her breath. “Why?” she asked quietly.


“Protection.”


“Is that all?”


“For now,” Borgin answered.


“Who is she?”


“Ginny Weasley.”


Catarina felt her blood go cold. Not the nice young girl in the bookshop. Not the nice young girl in the bookshop with the boyfriend named Harry. Harry.


“Harry Potter,” she said quietly, making the connection.


Nathan nodded, his eyes never leaving his desktop.


“I haven’t practiced in years,” she said quietly.


“You are our only option,” Nathan said, looking up into his mother’s eyes.


Catarina gazed at her son. “Yes, I suppose I am.”


++++


“So, Catarina Borgin,” Fred said, locking the door to the shop.


“Wonderful woman,” George replied.


“He didn’t look too happy to see her,” Fred said.


“I got that impression, too.”


The twins watched as a broom wove its way around the shop, sweeping up what the day had brought in. Stewart followed the broom, adjusting the shelves, noting the items that needed restocking, his tail swishing behind him.


“You know, Fred,” George started.


“What, George?” Fred replied.


“That tail wouldn’t look so bad if it had a mane to go with it,” George mused.


“You know, George, I think you may be right,” Fred agreed.


The twins watched Stewart’s lion tail swish, back and forth, back and forth as he walked. Nodding in unison, they trailed after their employee, their heads going back and forth, back and forth. When Stewart turned right at the front desk, the twins went left, into the storeroom, their minds whirring with possibilities.


In between the Spewing Spiders and the Popping Puffer Fish (Guaranteed to liven any fish tank!), Stewart suddenly bent down and fished something out of the dustpan moving in front of the broom.


“Mr. Weasley? And Mr. Weasley? I think someone dropped this.” Stewart said, looking around. The shop was empty, the light from the storeroom illuminating the front counter.


“Huh,” he said, looking down at the piece of parchment. There was no writing on the front to identify who it might belong to. Looking around to make sure no one was looking over his shoulder, Stewart unfolded the parchment.


Dear

That’s odd, Stewart thought. An entire letter and there wasn’t a name at the top. Looking closer, he noticed there were several indentations where a quill had rested, as if paused to write a name, but the author had changed his or her mind and picked it up again without writing anything. Glancing briefly at the rest of the letter, he dismissed it.


Folding the letter up, he threw it back into the dust pan. He flicked his wand and directed the dust pan to dump its contents in the rubbish bin. Following its path, Stewart glanced down at the bin on his way past. He stopped, looking at the parchment now covered with dust and bits of confetti. On a whim, he bent down and picked up the letter. Brushing it off, he took it to the front counter and tucked it beside the cash register. Glancing toward the storeroom, he could hear the twins excitedly talking. Stewart sighed. At least he had job security, he thought. Waving his wand to turn out the shop lights, he locked the door behind him.


++++


A/N “ All my thanks to the people who keep me on the straight and narrow: wvchemteach for his endless supply of facts, suggestions and reminders and to parvatipatil for her endless supply of commas, correct spellings and good points.


Next Chapter…Blood Bonds and a dance to remember…
Blood Bonds by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter World.



Chapter 3 - Blood Bonds





Harry mopped his brow with the hem of his t-shirt. Dumbledore had obtained permission for him to use magic outside of Hogwarts this summer for the purpose of dueling practice. Harry had suggested Ron and Hermione also participate as a way to keep their skills honed. Harry knew Hermione’s wealth of knowledge on spells, hexes and charms definitely exceeded his own, but she tended to freeze under pressure. While Ron kept Harry on his toes, speed wise, Harry knew Ron certainly appreciated the opportunity to learn some new tricks from his friends.


Harry had argued that Ginny, too, needed to be practicing. The Ministry, however, in typical shortsighted fashion, had drawn the line, claiming Ginny was still too young. Harry had stewed about the decision until it occurred to him the Ministry hadn’t said anything about her learning the spells. As long as Ginny didn’t actually do the spells, she wasn’t doing anything illegal by reading about them.


Knowing Ginny’s birthday was fast approaching, Harry had been searching for the perfect gift. He would gladly give her the moon and every other planet that came with it if that was what she wanted. But Ginny wasn’t a girl to be impressed by extravagant gifts or outlandish gestures. He knew this by how she had reacted to the gift of his mother’s poetry book. Ginny deserved something just as special “ and useful.


It had taken two weeks of Ginny’s badgering questions after she watched him, Ron and Hermione practicing, but Harry had finally figured out what to give her. He was going to give her the gift of knowledge. Stashing books away, marking the spells he, Ron and Hermione were learning, as well as any other spells he felt might come in useful, Harry was building Ginny quite the library. And as soon as the Ministry changed its stubborn mind, he planned to have Ginny just as prepared as the rest of them.


For the past six weeks, Ron, Hermione and Harry had seen a revolving door of Order members only too willing to step up to the task of putting them through their paces. Harry had noticed the Weasley brothers seemed to be the most enthusiastic about it, for some reason or other. Today had been Bill’s turn. Harry had a few reddening burn marks as a result of the dueling practice. Of course, he smirked, it was nothing compared to what he had left on Bill.


“Nice work, Harry!” Ron said, grinning at Bill who held a cloth with an anti-inflammatory ice charm on his arm.


“Thanks,” Harry replied, returning the grin. “You alright there, Bill?”


Bill snorted. “Never better,” he grimaced, lifting the towel to take a look at the burn.


“Thanks for warming him up for me,” Ron said, pulling out his wand. “You ready, old man?”


“Old man? Hermione, I hope you weren’t planning anything special tonight,” Bill teased, tossing the cloth aside and returning to the dueling area. “There might not be much left of my little brother when I’m done with him.”


“No?” Hermione bantered back. “Well, then, once my turn is over, I guess I’ll just have to let Fleur know she shouldn’t plan on having children with you in the near future.”


“Hermione!” Ron said shocked, as Bill choked on the gulp of water he had just taken.


“I’m going to go check on how Ginny’s doing,” Harry said, chuckling.


“Oh, fine, leave me here with these two,” Bill shouted at his back.


Harry waved at them over his shoulder and headed back to the Burrow. As he crossed the garden, Harry was surprised to see Nathan Borgin, hands in his pockets, walking up the front path. He watched as Nathan knocked on the kitchen door. Seconds later, Ginny opened it. Harry could see her smile from where he stood as she let the professor in. Looking up, Ginny saw Harry and gave him a little wave. He waved back as she closed the door.


Harry had gotten the distinct impression Nathan Borgin had not been pleased to see his mother yesterday in Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes. After the initial icy greeting, Catarina Borgin had quickly paid for her Skiving Snackbox, told the twins she would definitely be back and wished the rest of them a good afternoon, before following her son out the door.


“That was odd,” Ron had said, watching the door close behind them.


“Cold is more like it,” Ginny commented.


“Harry, did Borgin ever mention his family?” Hermione asked, shifting the oversized book she had purchased from one arm to the other.


Harry thought about it. He could still clearly recall the resigned look of acceptance in Borgin’s eyes last term when he had revealed to Harry his reason for being at Hogwarts. Thinking back to the twisted tale of years of manipulation and eventual rejection by his father that Borgin had shared with him, Harry realized Borgin had never once mentioned his mother. Harry had assumed his mother had been absent, even dead.


“He mentioned his father,” Harry answered, “but not his mother.”


“What was his father like?” Ron asked curiously.


“Not like him,” Harry said, nodding his head in the direction of Borgin.


“I liked her,” Ginny said. “It was strange, but when I shook her hand, it was like we were old friends or something, like we had lots in common.”


“Yeah, we know what you mean,” Fred said. George nodded in agreement.


“Oh, my!” Hermione commented, looking at her watch. “We need to go. We promised your mum we’d be home before supper.”


With that, the twins had told Stewart they would be back in a bit and ushered everybody out of the shop.



Last night, Harry’s mind had kept returning to his Defense Against the Dark Arts professor and the nagging question of exactly what would happen if Voldemort ever did manage to combine his own blood, which contained some of Harry’s, with Ginny’s blood. According to the spell Lucius Malfoy had attempted to perform, the combination of Harry and Ginny’s blood within Voldemort’s body would give Voldemort true immortality. Borgin had said that technically, the spell would work. However, the circumstances for collecting the blood were unlikely to occur. Thinking that if there was good news regarding the spell, Borgin would have simply sent an owl, Harry quickened his pace.


Opening the door to the Burrow, Harry entered the kitchen. Nathan Borgin sat at the table, hands wrapped around a mug of tea, looking as if he hadn’t had a full nights’ sleep in a while. Join the club, Harry thought as he made his way to the sink for a glass of water. Ginny stood at the kitchen sink, pouring a second cup of tea. Harry glanced at the table as he passed and hid the grin that fought to surface.

Set out in a line, as if marching off to battle, was a roll of gauze bandages, a pair of scissors, a jar of paste the consistency and color of beaten egg yolks, and a glass bottle with a stopper containing a purple oil smelling vaguely of mint and lemons and tasting like burnt rubber. After the first day of dueling practice, Harry had stumbled in, exhausted, bruised, burned and missing a chunk of hair. He claimed the chunk of hair was due to a blasting curse gone wrong. Ginny believed him, until Fred came in, commenting that George’s bald spot was much larger and proceeded to congratulate Harry on his spectacular choke hold. Ginny had patched Harry up best she could, leaving his bald spot as a reminder of why wizards duel with wands, not fists. She then promptly sent an owl to Madame Pomfrey, explaining the situation, and received back all the supplies necessary to ease any suffering caused by the result of dueling practice. It had been several weeks since she had had to uncork the bottle or cut a strip of gauze. However, Ginny still set up the items daily, just in case. Harry knew it gave her something to do and helped her feel useful. He smiled, thinking how, soon, she would have something else to keep her busy. Leaning over, he gave Ginny a quick kiss on the cheek. She wrinkled her nose.


“Harry, you stink,” she said, pushing him away gently.


“So, a hug is out of the question?” he asked innocently.


“For more reasons than just your personal hygiene,” she grinned, nodding at the table.


“Hear, hear,” Borgin chimed in, toasting Ginny with his mug. “So, Harry, how’s dueling practice going?”


“Good,” Harry said, sitting down across from the professor.


“Lupin comes tomorrow, doesn’t he?” Ginny asked, sitting down next to Harry.


Harry nodded.


“Excellent,” Nathan said. “He’s very proud of what you’ve accomplished, Harry, for good reason, too. I’m hoping to get into the rotation, too. I could use a little practice. My dueling skills have gotten rusty.”


“Sure,” Harry said, flushing slightly. He had known he was getting stronger. Thinking on his feet was something Harry had always excelled in; with the DA and now daily dueling practice, his repertoire of spells had grown to match his speed. He was a little embarrassed that Lupin was bragging about him, but, at the same time, rather proud that he had impressed him.


Nathan cleared his throat. “I need to talk to you two about something I’ve discovered,” he said, setting his tea cup down on the table and clasping his hands together.


“Okay,” Harry said, leaning back.


“What about?” Ginny asked, scooting her chair forward.


“About the immortality spell Lucius Malfoy attempted,” Nathan replied seriously.


Ginny blinked at Nathan before scooting her chair backward. Instinctively, she reached for Harry who enveloped her hand in his own and rested it on his knee.


“It will work,” Harry said tonelessly.


“Yes “ and no,” Nathan answered. “The reasons it will and won’t work haven’t changed. What I have discovered is a way to make sure it will never work.”


“What do you mean?” Ginny asked.


“Have you ever heard of Blood Bonding?” Nathan asked, looking from Ginny to Harry who both shook their heads. Taking a deep breath, Nathan stood up and began to pace, as if he were delivering a lecture in class.


“Blood bonding is a form of protection used by witches and wizards who practice Ancient Magic. The basic concept states that, through the combining of blood, a bond is formed, making it impossible for the blood given to be used against the witch and wizard who gave it.”


“We don’t practice ancient magic,” Ginny said slowly, her brow furrowed.


Nathan waved his hand as if to erase what he had just said. “I’m sorry, I’ve been thinking of this all night. That wasn’t a very good way to start.” Taking a deep breath, he tried again. “There is a ceremony that can provide you, Ginny, and you, Harry, protection from Voldemort ever being successful in regard to immortality spells involving your blood.”


Nathan paused. Ginny nodded slightly to indicate she understood. Harry just looked at Borgin, his expression unreadable. Borgin made a mental note to tell Harry to practice that look during dueling; his opponent would never know what he was thinking.


“A Blood Bonding is based on deep emotion, usually taking place between a witch and a wizard who are in love. One of the parties must be of age, the belief being that when a witch or wizard achieves the age of seventeen, the heart has become stable enough to make this type of commitment. The other stipulation is one of the parties must act as a Mediator.”


“A wha -” Ginny and Harry both started simultaneously before Borgin held up his hands.


“A Mediator is a type of Healer, a facilitator of emotion and blood.” Borgin explained, turning to lean on the edge of the sink. “It is a specialized skill that has been passed down from Mediator to Mediator. A Mediator is not born; however, to become a one, the witch must exhibit certain characteristics.”


“Witch?” Ginny asked.


“It most often is a witch, especially in bondings of younger couples such as yourself,” Borgin said. “I’ve been told this is the case because young men of seventeen, while their hearts may be mature enough, they can still be somewhat hot headed and volatile,” he said, smiling slightly at Harry, who did not smile back.


“And you think I have this “ this ability?” Ginny asked.


Borgin nodded. “Without training, a Mediator will be able to act as a calming force to her bond. She will provide a grounding, a center for her wizard. With training, a Mediator can take that skill and parlay it into the ability to heal her bond’s blood. Through a Mediator’s ministrations, the body learns to accept the toxins, fight them and ultimately becomes stronger because of them.”


Ginny tightened her grip on Harry’s hand. A sense of excited panic was beginning to grow in her stomach. She glanced at Harry who, in turn, was studying her. Turning his gaze to Borgin, Harry nodded slowly.


“She “ she always seems to, I don’t know, calm me down, make things okay,” he finished, blushing slightly at revealing something so personal to someone else.


“She centers you,” Borgin nodded in agreement.


“Hello, I’m still in the room,” Ginny said, her voice rising slightly.


Boring smiled gently at her. “Another sign that led me to believe you might have this aptitude was how you recovered this summer. It made sense for you to withdraw into yourself in order to heal. It’s what Mediators do, heal from the inside out.


“With a Blood Bonding, the Mediator who participates in the actual ceremony is able to combine the blood in a way that makes it inseparable, and therefore impenetrable,” Borgin continued.


“Why do you know so much about Mediators?” Harry asked suddenly.


“Mediators work in ancient magic, Harry,” Borgin replied. “They believe the strength of the body is in its blood. To heal the body, you make the blood stronger. To make the blood stronger, you make the body open to healing.”


“You said one of us has to be of age in order to make this type of commitment. What do you mean, ‘this type of commitment’?” Ginny asked.


Borgin took a deep breath and pushed away from the sink. Pulling his chair back out from the table, he sat down across from the two teenagers.


“Blood bonds are not random, and not,” Nathan paused, “not always a true love match, although the most successful ones are. A Mediator can bond once in her lifetime, maybe twice,” he explained. Taking a deep breath, Nathan looked deep into Ginny’s eyes. “Mediators do not have a choice in who they are able to bond with. They are born with their bond. It is probably why you have always been drawn to Harry.”


“Y “ you mean, we were destined to be together?” she whispered. Ginny could feel her heart pounding. She wasn’t sure if it was from anger or fear or excitement. She didn’t want to look at Harry, afraid of what she might see in his expression. She didn’t want to see anger there. She knew he wouldn’t blame her personally, but she could understand if he felt this one more thing he had no control over.


“Yes and no,” Borgin answered. “Your bond is Harry. However, that doesn’t mean you would have necessarily ever met or fallen in love with each other. You could have easily fallen in love with Neville or Colin, gotten married, had twelve kids and never been the wiser.” Borgin smiled as he saw Ginny grimace and Harry scowl. “However, your talents have come to the surface because you did meet and you have fallen in love. Your Blood Bonding, should you choose to do it, will be successful because he is your bond.”


“Are you sure?” she asked.


“Yes,” Borgin confirmed. “I’m sure. All the signs are there.”


Ginny felt Harry lift her hand off his knee and envelope it with both of his, giving it a reassuring squeeze. She turned her head. Harry smiled gently at her. She smiled back, tears rushing to her eyes as she realized he wasn’t angry over this.


Clearing his throat, Harry kept his gaze locked with Ginny’s. “So if we said yes, how would Ginny learn to become a Mediator? What do we need to do?”


“Ginny would need to apprentice with another Mediator. Finding a Mediator to train with can be difficult as there aren’t many known ones in the wizarding world,” Borgin said matter of factly. “Once she has completed her training, you two would need to do a Blood Bonding. Once bonded, your blood could not be used against you”


“What happens after we’re bonded? I mean, does that mean we stay together forever?” Ginny asked.


“Not necessarily. But you won’t be able to bond with anyone else, unless your bond with Harry is broken.”


“How does a bond break?” Ginny asked.


“One of you would have to die.”


Silence fell in the kitchen. Borgin looked at Ginny and Harry and sighed. To be so young and be put through so much, he thought. Fighting to keep the guilt out of his mind, Borgin pushed his chair back and stood up. It had been agreed he should reveal enough to convince them, but not too much to scare them. He knew it was vitally important Harry and Ginny agree to this, but he had fought hard to let it be their choice. He just hoped they still talked to him when it was all over.


Ginny took a deep breath. “Can we talk about it?”


“Of course,” Borgin said. “I will see you in a few days,” he said as he walked around the table toward the kitchen door. “You can tell me your decision then. Just so you know, I haven’t mentioned this to your parents, Ginny, or to the entire Order. Dumbledore knows. So does Snape.”


Harry head jerked up. “Snape? Why does Snape know?”


“Because Snape is quite knowledgeable on the subject of Blood Bonding,” Borgin replied.


Harry gritted his teeth. He wasn’t sure he liked the idea of sharing something that seemed so personal with anyone, least of all his most hated professor. He could just see Snape using this information for some horrible, twisted use.


Nodding to Ginny, Borgin turned the doorknob and stopped. Turning around, he reached into his pocket and drew out a rectangular parcel. “I almost forgot. I know this is early, but happy birthday, Harry.”


Surprised, Harry reached out and took the parcel. “Thank you.”


“Open it,” Ginny urged.


Harry turned the package open and ripped the paper at the seam. The wrapping slipped off to reveal a book bound in soft brown leather. Turning it over, he read the title, The Three Musketeers. He smiled. “Thanks.”


Borgin grinned and nodded. “One of my favorites. Enjoy!” Opening the door, Borgin stepped out into the summer sun.


Harry flipped open the book. Nathan had written an inscription on the back of the front cover.

Harry “

Fighting the good fight is always easier with friends.
Happy Birthday

Nathan Borgin



Suddenly, Ginny pushed her chair back and stood up. She quickly walked to the kitchen door and opened it. Stepping out into the bright sunshine, she held up her hand to shield her eyes.


“Professor?” she called.


Nathan stopped and turned around.


“Professor,” Ginny repeated, running up to him. “You said I would need to apprentice with another Mediator, and Mediators are hard to find. Do you know one?”


Borgin nodded. “I think you’ll like her. She certainly likes you.”


++++


The sunshine hurt his eyes as Harry stepped out of the kitchen. Squinting, Harry looked in the direction he had seen Ginny disappear. He had watched her catch up with Borgin, talk to him for a moment, then turn and head off through the garden. Borgin had watched Ginny go, too, before resuming his path. Harry wasn’t sure why the professor hadn’t Disapparated to his flat in Diagon Alley or even used the Floo. Then again, Harry wasn’t sure he was all that surprised, either. Some things about Nathan Borgin were just downright Muggle in nature. Judging by what Ginny had said about his mother’s passion for all things Muggle, Harry figured it might be genetic. If it was, and it simply had skipped a generation in the Weasley brood, he wondered if any kids he and Ginny had would be doomed. Kids, he thought. Yeah, he smiled. He could see kids.


Returning to the present, Harry headed through the garden, slightly annoyed Ginny hadn’t come back into the kitchen to talk. He found her, leaning against a gnarled old apple tree. Ginny turned her head at the sound of the grass rustling.


Seeing Harry, she tried to smile, her face pale in the bright sun, her eyes moist with unshed tears. His annoyance melting away, Harry pulled her to him, wrapping his other arm around her. He realized he was kind of used to getting huge life altering plots dropped in his lap. While he was not sure this was a good thing, he could understand the mind-numbing shock that must be running through Ginny right now. It was coursing through his veins, too, but he had practice with this. He tried to think of something to say, but everything he thought of sounded so inadequate in his mind, that in the end, he simply held her until he felt her trembling stop.


Ginny shifted her head so her cheek rested on the soft blue cotton of Harry’s t-shirt. Her breathing ragged, she wiped at the dampness on her cheeks. Clearing her throat, she looked up at Harry.


“I’m so sorry, Harry,” she whispered.


Surprised, Harry looked at her. “Sorry? Sorry for what?”


She sniffled and wiped at the dampness on her cheeks. “You’re really stuck with me now. I mean, when you first got here and walked out of my room and I yelled at you through the window, I meant it when I said you were stuck with me. But I didn’t mean it like this. Damn it, Harry, you can’t seem to have anything in your life that is just yours to decide!”


Harry blinked at her. “Ginny, aren’t you in the same boat? You didn’t have a choice either.”


Ginny shrugged her shoulders. “I don’t mind, all that much.”


Harry snorted. “All that much?”


Ginny sighed. “You know what I mean.”


I don’t mind. Ginny didn’t mind being stuck with him, baggage and all. Harry thought his heart might break with the love he felt for her. Harry closed his eyes and held on tight. They stood there for several minutes, gaining strength from each other.


“Thank you,” Ginny said quietly.


Surprised, Harry opened his eyes and looked down into Ginny’s face. “For what?”


“For being here.”



“It’s all part of the deal,” he said smiling softly down at her.


“The deal?”


“Yeah, you put up with me and my fate, I put up with you and yours.”


Ginny hiccupped and giggled. “Fair enough,” she agreed, “but it sounds like we don’t have much choice in that.” Taking a deep breath, Ginny leaned her forehead on Harry’s shoulder, enjoying the strength there. “I’m sorry, these stupid tears. I don’t even know why I’m crying.” She felt Harry nod in sympathy. “I guess I’m just surprised and angry and terrified and “ and excited, too.” Ginny lifted her head and looked up at Harry. “Does that make sense?”


Harry nodded solemnly. “To me, it does,” he said quietly.


Ginny placed a hand on the side of Harry’s cheek. “Yes, it would, wouldn’t it?” she said. Drawing her hand back into her chest, Ginny rested her head back on Harry’s shoulder. “Can we stay here a while?” she asked.


Harry didn’t answer; he simply tightened his hold on her and closed his eyes.


+++++



Sleep did not seem to be on Harry’s agenda tonight. Punching his pillow, he rolled over to face the wall, listening to the sounds of the Burrow and thinking about the day. Ginny constantly amazed him. He remembered back to when he had first learned his life wasn’t necessarily his own and how angry he had been for so long. He had always known she was an incredible person, and today she had astounded him once again.


Sighing, he flopped back onto his back.


Tink!


Harry rolled over.


Tink! Tink!


Harry pulled the blankets over his head.


Tink!


Harry sat bolt upright in bed and grabbed his wand from under his pillow. Reaching over for his glasses, he quickly put them on and looked around the room. It was empty.


CLUNK!


Harry realized something was hitting his window. Heart thumping madly, Harry cautiously opened the sash and peered over the windowsill. A sudden sharp pain exploded in his forehead, causing him to jerk upward banging the bottom of the window with the back of his head. “OW!” he exclaimed, clamping one hand to his forehead and one to the base of his neck.


“Harry? Are you alright?” Ginny whispered.


Harry opened an eye and looked down to see Ginny standing below his window, her arm cocked back ready to pitch what looked like another rock at his window. Removing his hand from his forehead, he checked for blood. A few drips were present from what felt like a cut at his hairline. He snorted. Just what he needed, another scar.


“Harry?” Ginny repeated.


“Gin, what are you doing? Are you okay?” he asked.


“Trying to get you out of bed! Come down here,” she said, motioning for him to join her outside.


“It’s the middle of the night!”


“Were you asleep?”


“Well, no, but that’s not the point!”


“Come on, Harry. Please?” Ginny pleaded.


“Fine, okay. Hang on,” Harry said. “I’ll be right there.” He pulled his head in and shut the sash. Pulling a jumper over his t-shirt, Harry slipped on his shoes. Ginny was waiting for him by the kitchen door.


“You’re dressed,” he observed, slightly annoyed.


Ginny ignored him and grabbed his hand. Tugging him forward, she smiled. “Alright, close your eyes.”


“Why?”


“Come on, Harry, it’s a surprise!” she pleaded.


“Okay, okay. They’re closed.”


Ginny took Harry’s hand and led him past the broom shed, into the garden, all the way to the grove in the back and stopped. Looking up at Harry, Ginny smiled shyly and said quietly, “You can open your eyes now.”


Harry opened his eyes to see paper lanterns hanging in the branches of the trees, flickering light jumping from lantern to lantern. Under one tree, a soft crackling emitted from a mass of wires and knobs sitting on top of a rock. Letting go of Harry’s hand, Ginny walked over and banged the rock with her palm. The static was replaced with a soft swaying melody and Harry smiled in surprise.


“That’s a radio!”


“It’s my dad’s. He, uh, fixed it,” Ginny answered, her impish grin sliding back into a shy smile. Ginny dropped to a quilt on the grass and pulled Harry down next to her. Leaning back, Ginny pulled two packages from behind the rock the radio rested on.


“Happy birthday, Harry,” she said holding out the parcels.


Harry looked at the gifts in surprise. His birthday wasn’t until tomorrow, and after what had happened today, the last thing he had expected was presents for him.


Ginny smiled at him. “Come on, Harry. Open your presents!” she urged, pushing them into his hands, her giggling anticipation becoming contagious.


Grinning, he took the gifts and gave Ginny a quick kiss on the cheek. Setting the thicker of the two aside, Harry undid the ribbon and pushed aside the brown paper. Nestled in tissue, was the picture of his dad and Sirius, the corners flattened, the crease ironed, in a polished silver frame. Harry smiled at the two friends and then at Ginny.


“Thank you,” he said softly.


Ginny nodded. “I thought you might like to take that back to school,” Ginny said.


Leaning over, Harry propped the picture on the rock next to the radio and picked up the other parcel. Tearing the brown paper, Harry turned over a book and read, Modern Hexology “ A Practical Guide to Today’s Most Useful Hexes. Harry chuckled.


“I’ve marked a few I think would be good to learn,” Ginny asserted.


“I’ll get to work on it as soon as possible,” Harry grinned.


Silence fell between them as the trees danced in the soft evening breeze to the music swirling upwards. Harry looked at Ginny who was picking at a loose quilt piece, slowly unweaving the pattern, thread by thread. Reaching over, he placed his hand on hers.


“Are you okay, Ginny?” he asked softly.


Ginny looked up at him and tried to smile. She settled on nodding. “I will be,” she said softly. “How about you?”


“I’m sorry, Ginny,” Harry said, not knowing what else to say.


“Harry, why should you be sorry? This isn’t your doing,” Ginny stated as she wove her fingers in between Harry’s. “Besides,” she said, smiling slightly, “most couples would love to have as much as we do in common. I mean, on top of being smart, good looking and Gryffindors, we’re both on Voldemort’s Top 10 list,” she said, grimacing at the use of the Dark Lord’s name.


Harry snorted. “That’s not really funny,” he said.


“Yeah,” Ginny agreed, “but if I don’t laugh, I’m going to cry and I’d rather laugh. In our old age, I don’t want you to look back on your seventeenth birthday and only be able to remember me soaking the front of your shirt.”


“I wouldn’t mind, you know,” Harry said sympathetically.


Ginny cocked her head to the side and smiled at him. “I know you wouldn’t. That’s why I love you.”


“Do you want to do it? The Blood Bonding?” Harry asked.


Ginny took a deep steadying breath. “I don’t want to think about it tonight, Harry. I will think about it tomorrow. Right now,” she said, standing up and brushing the grass off her jeans, “I owe you a dance from the recognition dinner. I’m a little late in asking, but would you do me the honor and dance with me on your seventeenth birthday?” she asked, holding out her hand.


Harry took Ginny’s hand, letting her help him up. Ginny led him to the middle of the glowing lantern light. Wrapping his arms around her, Harry closed his eyes and swayed to the music, soaking up all the goodness that Ginny brought with her. He had everything he wanted on his seventeenth birthday right here.


“Ginny?” he asked softly.


“What? Is something wrong?” Ginny asked, concerned, leaning back so she could look into his eyes.


“No, nothing’s wrong,” he rushed to assure her, accepting her need to forget for just a little while. He pulled her closer, if that was possible. “This “ this is perfect. Thank you.”


Ginny wrapped her arms around his neck and stood on her tiptoes. “You’re very welcome, Harry,” she whispered against his lips.


Suddenly, Harry realized they were stopped in front of the rock holding the radio and the picture of James and Sirius. Pulling away from Ginny, Harry leaned down and laid the photo face down to the rock. Straightening up, Harry grinned at Ginny.


“So…where were we?”


++++


A/N “ Thank you, thank you, thank you to my betas, wvchemteach and pavartipatil. It makes sense because of you two!

This is posting a little early because I am off on Spring Break starting Thursday. Unfortunately, I will not be laying on a warm sandy beach, gazing up at a palm tree, drinking drinks with paper umbrellas in them. Instead, I will be watching my children be spoiled rotten by their grandparents back in the Midwest. It’s not the spoiling I mind so much. It’s the deprogramming when we return home that I dread.


Next update (most likely the end of next week)…Happy Birthday, Harry


Enjoy!
Birthday Surprises by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter World.



Birthday Surprises





The knock on his door startled Nathan out of his morning stupor. He hadn’t had his tea yet. Whoever was at his door at this hour was taking his life in his hands. Pulling his robe closed over his pajamas and knotting the tie, Borgin grabbed his wand off the kitchen table and headed toward the door.


“What could you possibly need at this time of day?” he growled as he whipped opened the door, pointing his wand at the chest of his unwanted guest.


“Really, Nathan, do you think that’s necessary?” Catarina asked, pushing the tip of the wand away from her.


“Yes, I do,” Nathan scowled stepping aside to let his mother enter. “What do you want, Mother?” he repeated.


“How did she take it?”


“She?”


“Well, both of them. You know what I mean.”


“They took it as well as could be expected,” Nathan replied, shutting the door and shuffling back to the kitchen.


“You told them this would protect them?” Catarina badgered


“Yes, Mother, I told them it would protect them,” Nathan replied, looking around his kitchen in a foggy daze. Running his hands through his mussed hair, he looked down at his front. Pajamas and a robe weren’t formal enough for this conversation. “I’ll be back in a moment,” he said, shuffling past his mother and into his bedroom.



“You told her she would need to become a Mediator?” Catarina called, as she wandered around Nathan’s home. He had so many shelves, all crammed with books, but not one single photograph. She sighed. Her fault as well, she supposed.


Buttoning his shirt, Nathan emerged from his bedroom, fully clothed if not fully awake. He sighed. “Yes, Mother. I told them one of them had to be of age; one had to be a Mediator; she could only bond once; you had agreed to apprentice her; I’d be back in a couple of days for an answer, and,” Borgin finished, exasperated, “they had to name their firstborn after me.”


“Well, I’m sure she won’t be teased too much at school, with a name like Nathan. Maybe they can call her Nat? People will think it’s short for Natalie,” Catarina mused, a teasing twinkle in her eye.


Borgin rolled his eyes. “I saw that,” she commented, sitting down at his kitchen table.


“Tea?” Borgin asked.


“Please,” she answered. “With milk, thank you.”


The noises of the tea preparation interrupted the silence in the flat. Catarina followed her son’s movements as he got down the tea cups, filled the kettle with water, and lit the fire under it with his wand. She smiled.


“What?” he asked, noticing the attention.


“You do it the Muggle way, too,” Catarina said.


“Tea out my wand tastes odd,” Nathan said. “It tastes wooden.”


Catarina nodded in agreement as the tea kettle whistled. Pouring the hot water over the tea bags, Nathan set the kettle down, picked up the mugs and carried them to the table. Handing his mother a small pitcher of milk, Nathan sat down and cradled his warm mug between his hands.


“I hated it,” he said quietly. “I hated not telling them.”


“I know,” she said softly. “But it’s best this way. If the bonding occurs as planned, they will never have to know the rest.”


Borgin took a sip of tea and asked a question that had been nibbling at the back of his mind from the first moment he had seen his mother in the joke shop. “Why did you ever marry him?”


Catarina bit her bottom lip. She looked down at her mug, watching the white swirl of milk circle the tea turning it a murky tan. “I had to, Nathan.”


Nathan’s head jerked up. “You had to?”


“No, no, it was nothing like that,” Catarina rushed, her cheeks turning pink. “You are your father’s son, no question about that.”


Nathan swallowed and nodded. He would be lying to admit that he wasn’t slightly disappointed by that answer. But, then again, knowing the alternative, maybe it was for the best.


”Your father was a fascinating, intelligent man. When we first met, he wasn’t so focused on “ on what he ended up as. He was quite fetching, funny and passionate about everything. At the time I met him, I was vulnerable. I needed someone to take care of me, protect me. He offered; I accepted,” she said. Blinking herself back to the present, Catarina sighed. “And then he suffocated the life out of me.”


Catarina looked up at her son and smiled softly. She so desperately wanted to reach out to him, to cover one of his hands with her own, like she used to do to his younger self after a particularly rough patch. A mother needs to touch, she thought. Instead, she tightened her grip on her mug.


“Nathan, I never wanted to hurt you. You were my heart. You were what kept me going in that house. It broke my heart to leave you, but Albus said he would look out for you, make sure you were alright. I had to trust him in order to save myself. It may have been selfish, but I was afraid for reasons bigger than us.”


Nathan looked into his mother’s eyes, seeing years of regret and guilt in them. His youthful self would never forgive her, no matter how much he understood her reasons. But, looking at this woman who protected and loved him as best she could, he hoped his older self might be able to.


Knowing that rebuilding relationships took time, Catarina set down her empty mug.


“Well,” she said. “I need to get a few things. I left my cottage not knowing how much I would need, so I brought nothing. I am going to do a little shopping. Would you care to come with me?”


Borgin shook his head. “No, I have a little reading to do here.”


“When do you not have a little reading to do?” she teased, tilting her head toward the stack of books on the kitchen counter.


“I am your son, Mother,” Nathan shrugged.


“Yes, you are,” Catarina smiled.


++++


Catarina scratched Nathan’s cat, Accio, behind the ears as she closed the door to the flat behind her. Straightening up, she rested her hand on the rail and descended the stairs to the alleyway. Stepping out into Diagon Alley, she turned toward The Leaky Cauldron and Muggle London. A hooded figure brushed against her as she passed Flourish & Blotts. She glanced over her shoulder and watched the figure turn into the alley, thinking it awfully warm to be wearing a wool cloak with the hood up in July.


The hooded figure climbed the stairs to the second floor landing. Accio hissed at the polished black boots. One of the boots shot out, making contact with the cat, sending it sprawling into the pot of yellow pansies sitting by the door. Hissing the cat scrambled up on its four paws, causing the clay pot to teeter then topple, roll off the second floor landing, falling and crashing into the cobblestone below.


Hearing the commotion, Nathan stood up from the table. Reaching for his wand, he pulled open the door to his flat, only to be blinded by light.

++++


If the smell of sizzling bacon hadn’t been enough to drag Ginny from her bed this morning, the sheer volume of sound coming from the kitchen would have. It was Harry’s seventeenth birthday and, judging by the amount of noise downstairs, the entire wizarding world had shown up to give him their best wishes. Smiling to herself, Ginny put her feet on the floor and stretched. She stood up and reached for her robe she had thrown across the end of her bed and slipped it on. Tying the ends of her belt in a knot, she opened her bedroom door.


If she had thought the noise filtering through her bedroom door was loud, it was nothing compared to the cacophony of sound that hit her square in the face as she stepped out into the hallway. She giggled. She couldn’t have asked for a better birthday present for Harry than to be enveloped in all the fun loving noise and commotion that celebrating such a momentous occasion brought in the Weasley household.


“What’s so funny?”


Grinning, Ginny looked up to find Harry standing in the middle of the hall, still in his own pajamas, looking wonderfully warm and fuzzy. Stepping toward him, she wrapped her arms around his waist and snuggled up, kissing the side of his neck.


“Happy birthday, Harry,” she giggled.


Returning the hug, Harry smiled into her hair, breathing deeply the warm, downy smell that spoke of sweet dreams and sunshine. “If this is any indication to how my day is going to turn out, I’m going to have a great birthday,” Harry murmured, placing a light kiss behind Ginny’s ear.


“Mmmm…” Ginny hummed. As she titled her head to the side, giving Harry a clearer path to continue his nibbling down her neck, a shattering crash exploded from the kitchen.


“Fred! George! What are you doing?” Mrs. Weasley voice could be heard plainly above the din.


Harry sighed, resting his forehead against Ginny’s shoulder.


“Ronald! Those are for breakfast. Keep your hands away!”


Harry chuckled. Lifting his head, he looked down into Ginny’s eyes which were twinkling merrily.


“Be careful what you wish for, Harry,” Ginny said impishly.


“I don’t need to wish for anything,” Harry replied, trying to keep a straight face. “I have everything I need right here in my arms.’


Ginny chortled, and swatted Harry in the chest. “That was awful.”


“Yeah,” Harry said, letting his grin come to the surface. “Awful, but true,” he said, leaning down to touch his lips to hers.


Ginny rolled her eyes, but Harry noticed the pleased pink flush as she brushed by him on her way to the loo.


++++


Hair still damp from the shower, Harry flopped down on the ground under the old oak tree in the back of the garden. Ginny sat down cross legged next to Harry, trading him a sandwich wrapped in a red checkered napkin for a cold butterbeer.
After passing his Apparation test at the Ministry, the morning had been spent in a rowdy Quidditch match; Ron, Bill and Fred against Harry, George and Ginny. Good natured catcalls and teasing filled the air as they played. Once they had finished, Ron and Hermione had looked somewhat put out when Harry had said he wanted to have lunch alone with Ginny. He felt a little guilty about that, but he and Ginny needed to talk. Nathan had said he would be back in a couple of days for an answer.


Folding the napkin back from her sandwich, Ginny placed it on the ground and stared at it. She had accepted the sandwiches her mother had foisted on her because she knew if she said she wasn’t hungry, her mother would start asking questions. She wasn’t ready to answer questions yet.


Glancing over, she smiled gently. Harry hadn’t touched his sandwich either. Pushing hers aside, she rested her elbows on her knees. Giving up on his sandwich too, Harry put it next to Ginny’s and sighed.


“Well…,” Ginny started.


“Yeah,” Harry replied.


Uncrossing her legs, Ginny stood back up, brushing her hands off on the legs of her jeans and beginning to pace. Harry stood up, too, and leaned against the tree, watching Ginny.


“Why would we not do this?” Ginny asked.


“I don’t know,” Harry answered truthfully. “I was thinking we should ask Hermione if she knows anything about this - or knows a book we can find it in.”


“Just in case…” Ginny’s voice trailed off.


Harry nodded. Silence fell as they contemplated what Borgin may not have told them.


“Okay, then,” Harry said, breaking the silence. “Why would we do this?”


“Well, Professor Borgin says if we do this bonding, he can’t use our blood for an immortality spell,” Ginny said.


“And, as of today, I’m of age,” Harry stated.


“And I supposedly have what it would take to be a - a Mediator. Your mediator,” she finished quietly, catching her bottom lip in her teeth.


Harry reached over and took one of her hands, pulling her toward him until they were toe to toe, standing under the tree. “Ginny, I’m glad you are my mediator. Are you?” he asked hesitantly.


Ginny blinked at him. “Harry, it makes sense. I - I can’t imagine anything else.”


Harry took Ginny’s face in his hands and gently kissed her softly. Ginny leaned her cheek against the palm of his hand and smiled up at him, feeling oddly giddy.


“Well…” Harry said, smiling back.


“Yeah,” Ginny replied, nodding.


Harry took a deep breath and grinned. Ginny giggled. “Hungry?” she asked.


“Yeah, starving,” Harry said, sitting down and pulling Ginny beside him. “So, what did you ask Borgin yesterday when you ran after him?” Harry asked, reaching out for his sandwich.


“I asked him if he knew a Mediator I could apprentice with,” Ginny said, taking a sip of butterbeer. “He said he did. His mother.”


“Catarina?” Harry asked surprise.


Ginny nodded. “You seem surprised.”


“Yeah, well, last term, from what Borgin said about his father, he wasn’t very nice. It’s just hard to think of someone who claimed to like a good prank being connected with someone so obsessed with death and dying.”


“Well, Borgin did say a Mediator is born with her bond. Maybe Catarina didn’t have a choice,” Ginny suggested, shrugging.


“Yeah,” Harry said thoughtfully. “I still think we need to ask Hermione.”


“Definitely,” Ginny agreed, setting her napkin down beside her.


Laying back on the ground, Harry rested his head on his hands and closed his eyes. Seconds later, he felt Ginny stretch out beside him, her head resting on his chest, her arm around his waist, her leg intertwined with his. Slipping his hand out from under his head, Harry ran his fingers down her back before pulling her closer.


“You know,” Harry began lazily.


“Hmm?” Ginny murmured, the warmth of the sun and Harry’s heartbeat making her drowsy.


“I’d say you have it pretty good,” Harry commented.


Lifting her head, Ginny looked up at Harry. “What do you mean?”


“Well, look at who Catarina ended up with,” he said, “and look who you get. I think you did pretty well for yourse-oof!,” he exclaimed as Ginny hit him in the stomach. Reaching over with his other hand, he pulled Ginny up so she was laying on top of him.


“You know, Harry, it’s a good thing today is your birthday,” Ginny grinned good naturedly, wiggling around just enough to make Harry groan.


“Yes, it is,” he agreed, before directing her mouth to his.


++++


Nathan groaned, his stomach threatening to heave its contents onto the floor where he now lay.


“Lucius, this is getting a little old,” he muttered.


“Perhaps.”


At the unfamiliar voice, Borgin’s head snapped up, a sharp pain shooting through his temple. Placing his hands palm down on the floor, he carefully pushed himself to his knees then slowly got to his feet. Straightening his shoulders, the room spun causing him to put his hands back on his knees to brace himself. Cursing himself for this sign of weakness, he tried to cover it by keeping his tone mild.


“You aren’t Lucius Malfoy,” Borgin commented, gradually walking his hands up his thighs until he was standing straight.


“No, I’m not,” Voldemort replied. “Good evening, Nathan.”


“Lord Voldemort.”


“I understand you could be useful to me.”


“Is that why you sent Malfoy to my flat this morning?”


“I sent Malfoy to deliver my invitation. I can not help how he delivered you to me.”


Borgin shrugged. “What do you want from me?”


“I do not like to be in debt to anyone, especially someone I don’t know,” the Dark Lord hissed.


“Consider it a favor,” Borgin replied casually.


“I don’t accept favors.”


“Than you have a problem,” Borgin stated.


“Yes, I do. When I have a problem, I either fix it or get rid of it. Which do you think I should do?” Voldemort asked, raising his wand and pointing it at his guests’ chest.


++++


Nathan rolled over, his cheek touching the cool hard surface of a floor. Slowly opening his eyes, he realized he was back in his flat. I guess he decided to ‘fix’ the problem, Nathan thought, wincing as stretched his legs. Slowly, he pushed himself up until he was partially leaning against the wall.


His apartment had been ransacked. Drawers were pulled out and dumped, dishes broken, books thrown from the shelves and ripped in two. The coldness running through his veins at this invasion into his life froze the pain. Shifting slowly so he could crane his neck to see into his study, he saw his desk shattered, the contents strewn across the floor.


Closing his eyes to shut out the chaos, Nathan slowly lifted his hand to his face to feel the damage. The soreness he felt as he prodded his swollen jaw and oozing abrasions was nothing compared to the lightening pain that shot up his other arm as he attempted to push himself into a seated potion.


“Bloody hell!” Nathan hissed as he righted himself. Gingerly, he laid his arm in his lap. Carefully, he unbuttoned the cuff and rolled back the shirtsleeve. Grimly, he prodded the puckered, swollen tissue, still oozing fresh blood.


For better or for worse, he was one of them now.


++++


Molly smiled as she filled the sink with hot soapy water. Poor Harry couldn’t even win a game of wizard’s chess on his birthday, judging by the sounds of the ribbing coming from the sitting room. The Order members who had joined them, Remus and Tonks among others, had returned to their homes or posts. Bill had gone home shortly before the twins had headed off to their flat above Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes. Arthur had Apparated to Headquarters to check on things after dinner had ended, leaving the Burrow oddly quiet after the commotion of the day.


Charming the scrubber in the sink to start work on the plates, Molly walked back to the table and began clearing the glasses. Tonight had been a labor of love on her part. She had wanted Harry to remember his seventeenth birthday as one of the happiest days of his life. Seeing as how every time she had looked at him today, he had been wearing a grin from ear to ear, she was pretty sure the day had been a success.


Putting the glasses down by the sink, she pointed her wand at the dishcloth, sending it to the table to wipe up the crumbs and drips and spills left by the stacks of dirty dishes brought in from outside. She was just picking up another pile of plates to carry to the sink when the kitchen door opened and Albus Dumbledore entered.


“Albus!” Molly exclaimed, smiling. “You’re back. Did you forget something?”


“No, Molly,” Dumbledore answered. “Is Nathan here yet?”


“Nathan? Nathan Borgin?” Molly asked. “Why? Is something wrong?”


“Something has occurred,” Dumbledore nodded. “I think we should wait until “ ah, good, they’re here.”


The sound of two people Apparating could be heard just outside the open kitchen door.


“Who’s here?” Molly asked, her hands beginning to twist in her apron.


Nathan and Catarina Borgin hurried into the kitchen. Molly’s eyes traveled curiously over the well dressed witch and stopped with a gasp as they landed on Nathan.


“Nathan! Whatever happened to you? Sit down! You’re hurt!” Molly fussed, dropping her apron and stepping toward the wizard.


“No “ no, Molly, I’m fine. Molly, I’d like for you to meet my mother, Catarina Borgin. Mother, this is Molly Weasley, Ginny’s mother. Is Arthur here?”


“Ginny? You know Ginny?” Molly asked, a little taken aback. “What’s wrong with Ginny?”


“No, Arthur is still at Headquarters,” Dumbledore commented. “I’ve sent for him, though.”


“Why do we need Arthur? What’s wrong with Ginny?” Molly repeated, panic creeping into her voice.


“Nothing is wrong with Ginny, Molly,” Dumbledore assured. Turning to Catarina, he extended his hand. “Good evening, Catarina. I’m glad you came as well.”


“It is nice to see you again, Albus. I’m sorry it’s under these circumstances,” Catarina greeted the Headmaster gravely, enveloping his hand in her own.


“What circumstances?” Molly asked, her voice rising, her eyes traveling nervously face to face.


“Where are Harry and Ginny?” Nathan asked urgently.


“They’re in the sitting room,” Molly said. “Will someone please tell me what’s going on?”


Nathan moved around the kitchen table and into the sitting room. Ron and Harry were battling it out on the chess board, while Hermione sat by the fire reading. Ginny sat on the floor, her back to the couch, watching the fire dance.


“Harry? Ginny?” Nathan said as he entered.


“Professor Borgin?” Hermione questioned, looking up from her text.


Ignoring Hermione, Nathan motioned to Harry and Ginny. “You need to come into the kitchen.”


Harry and Ginny’s eyes met. They hadn’t told anyone their decision yet. They hadn’t even asked for Hermione’s help, deciding they would do that tomorrow, keeping Harry’s birthday as his birthday. Nathan’s tone and the bruises on his face told them they may have missed their chance.


Nodding, Harry stood up and held out his hand to help Ginny up. They followed Nathan back into the kitchen. Harry stopped suddenly when he saw Dumbledore and Catarina. Ginny who had been following behind, stumbled into his back.


“What’s happened?” Harry asked.


“Nathan’s flat was ransacked tonight,” Dumbledore explained.


Molly gasped, her eyes widening as she studied Nathan.


“A text was stolen, outlining the Blood Bonding ceremony he spoke about with you and Ginny. We have good reason to believe that Voldemort knows about this now and will attempt to take action to prevent you from completing the bond.”


The color drained from Ginny’s face. She took a steadying breath and sat down at the table. Harry sat down next to her. Looking up at the Headmaster and Nathan, Ginny asked, “What do we do?”


“If you have decided to go through with it, I recommend you and Harry go somewhere safe in order to complete the apprenticeship,” Nathan said, sitting down across the table from her.


“Where?” Harry asked.


“My home,” Catarina answered.


“What do you mean go someplace safe?” Molly asked suspiciously, her narrowed eyes focused on Catarina. “What are you going to teach my daughter to do?”


“Now, Molly,” Dumbledore attempted to calm her, touching her on the arm. Molly pushed his hand away, turning to glare at him. “Albus, what is all this?”


“Mum,” Ginny answered before the Headmaster could. “Yesterday, Professor Borgin stopped by. He told us, Harry and I, that he had found a way to prevent Voldemort from ever being able to use our blood for an immortality spell. He asked Harry and me to think about going through with it. We talked about it, and we decided we would do it.” Ginny paused, and looked at Harry, who nodded slightly. “It’s called a Blood Bonding.”


“Absolutely NOT!” Molly exclaimed immediately, her voice rising with every syllable.


“Mum!” Ginny argued, standing up to face her mother. “You don’t understa-“


“No, young lady. I do understand,” Molly said hotly, wagging her finger at her daughter. “You and Harry want to go off and try some ludicrous, unheard of ceremony -“


“Molly, it’s not unheard of,” Nathan interceded.


“I DON’T CARE!” Molly shouted, whirling around, the full force of her anger directed toward him. “WHAT CAN POSSIBLY BE GOOD ABOUT SOMETHING CALLED A BLOOD BONDING?”


“Mum,” Ginny pleaded, “when Harry and I are bonded, my blood cannot be used to give Voldemort immort ““


“BONDED?” Molly shrieked, her eyes flashing between Harry and Ginny. “BONDED? WHAT DOES THAT MEAN? DOES IT MEAN YOU AND HARRY ARE TIED TOGETHER FOR THE REST OF YOUR LIVES? GINNY, YOU ARE FIFTEEN YEARS OLD! YOU ARE MUCH TOO YOU-“


“Molly!” Nathan interrupted, standing up and leaning on the table, his hands palm down. “Molly, it isn’t like a marriage contract. It is a ceremony based in ancient magic. It is designed ““


“ANCIENT MAGIC? I’VE HAD JUST ABOUT AS MUCH ANCIENT MAGIC AS I CAN STAND!” Molly shouted back before she gasped. “Nathan! You’re bleeding!”


All eyes moved down from Nathan and Molly’s flushed faces to Nathan’s forearm. Blood was indeed soaking through the white cotton sleeve of his shirt.


“It’s nothing, Molly,” Nathan said, moving his arm behind his back.


Molly was too quick for him, though, moving forward and grabbing his arm, pushing up his shirtsleeve. She stared at his arm for a full second before dropping it as if it was poisoned.


“There is not a single thing you can say to make me give you permission to take my daughter away from me,” she hissed at him.


“Maybe you don’t have a choice,” Harry said, standing up from the table.


“What do you mean she doesn’t have a choice?” Ron asked, stepping forward, looking at Harry as if he was insane. “Didn’t you see his arm? HE’S GOT THE BLOODY DARK MARK ON IT!”


“Ron!” Hermione admonished. “There’s probably a reasonable explana-“


“HERMIONE!” Ron shouted back. “IT’S THE DARK MARK! THE DARK MARK! ONLY DEATH EATERS HAVE THE DARK MARK!”


“I can see that, Ron, but I think we should give Professor Borgin an opportunity to explain!” Hermione argued, looking expectantly at Nathan.


“It’s not what you think,” Nathan started, trying to push his shirtsleeve down. Harry reached over and yanked Nathan’s arm across the table, his other hand holding the sleeve where it was. The Dark Mark, branded into the skin, still oozed blood. Harry looked into Nathan’s unreadable eyes.


“See, Harry! He’s one of them!” Ron cried desperately.


“Yes, Ron, he does have the Dark Mark. But it may not be what you think,” Harry said, letting go of Nathan’s arm.


“NOT WHAT I THINK? HAVE YOU GONE MENTAL, HARRY? YOU CAN’T EXPECT FOR US TO SEND YOU AND GINNY OFF WITH A DEATH EATER!” Ron shouted, his face flushed with anger.


“Ron, this isn’t your choice!” Ginny said harshly.


“And it isn’t yours or Harry’s choice either,” Molly broke in.


Everyone in the kitchen jumped as Harry’s fist slammed down on the kitchen table.


“YES, IT IS OUR CHOICE!” he shouted. Taking a deep breath to try and calm himself, he felt Ginny’s hand find his and squeeze it. “As of today, I am seventeen. That makes it my choice.”


“You have been of legal age for less than a day, Harry. Ginny is only fifteen. Do you even understand what will happen if you do this?” Molly argued.


“Do you understand what will happen if we don’t?” Harry bit back. “If we do not do this, Voldemort will continue to come after Ginny. He will pursue her until he has her blood and then he will kill her because he doesn’t need her anymore.”


“Harry, perhaps there is another way,” Hermione broke in.


“NO!” Harry shouted, flashes of light seeming to bounce off him. Ginny squeezed his hand tighter. “THERE IS NOT ANOTHER WAY! I AM SICK AND TIERD OF EVERYONE ELSE DETERMINING MY LIFE. THIS IS NOT YOUR DECISION TO MAKE! YOU HAVE NO SAY IN IT!”


Harry wrenched his hand away from Ginny’s and plowed his way to the door, sparks of magical energy flying off him as he flung the door open so hard it bounced off the wall and slammed shut behind him.


Ginny’s eyes met Nathan’s, her eyes questioning.


“Ginny?” Dumbledore asked quietly, coming forward to stand next to Borgin.


“You knew?” she asked.


“He told me tonight,” Dumbledore said quietly.


Her eyes traveled from Dumbledore’s to Nathan’s and back again. Without another word, she stood up and pushed her way toward the door.


“Ginny!” Molly cried. “You cannot possibly think of doing this.”


“Mum, I have to,” Ginny replied, stopping and turning to look at her mother, her hand resting on the doorknob.


“Ginny, you aren’t of age! I will not allow you to do this!” Molly commanded.


“Mum, this is not your decision,” Ginny replied coldly, opening the door and following Harry into the night.


The dumfounded silence that filled the kitchen was broken with the sound of a wizard Apperating into the sitting room. Arthur Weasley walked quickly into the kitchen, his eyes passing over Nathan and Dumbledore and falling on his wife. Striding over to her, he enveloped her in his arms. Molly, realizing he was trying to comfort her, pushed away and looked up at her husband, horrorstruck.


“You know!” she accused. “You know!”


“No, I don’t, Molly. At least not everything. Albus contacted me at Headquarters and told me Nathan’s flat had been ransacked. He said that Ginny and Harry needed to go away for their own safety. He said there was more, but that he would tell me when I got here. I think we should give him an opportunity to explain.”


“NO!” Molly exclaimed hysterically. “He wants our baby to go with - with him!” she hissed, pointing at Nathan. “Arthur, he’s got the Dark Mark on his arm! He’s one of them!”


“Molly!” Arthur said, holding his wife up by the arms and looking into her eyes. “Molly, we need to listen to them. We need to know what happened. Then we can make a decision.”


Molly covered her mouth with her hand, tears welling up in her eyes. She violently shook her head. “No, Arthur,” she whispered raggedly. “The decision has been made. Ginny already made the decision. She’s going.”


Arthur sighed heavily and pulled his wife to him. Enveloping her in a tight hug, he looked over her head at the Headmaster.


“Are the wards in place, Arthur?” Dumbledore asked quietly.


His shoulders sagging, Arthur inclined his head slightly.


“Dad?” Ron asked incredulously. “Just what the bloody hell are you on about? You’re letting him take Ginny? Haven’t you seen his arm? HE’S GOT THE DARK MARK!” Ron bellowed.


“Ronald!” Hermione exclaimed.


“Ron,” Arthur barked back, holding his hand up. “You don’t know the entire story. I think you should wait and see what he has to say ““


“HAS TO SAY? HAS TO SAY? HE’S GOT THE BLOODY DARK MARK ON HIS ARM. WHEN WAS HE GOING TO SAY THAT?”


Borgin stood up, his face grave and pained. “Ron, just what in Merlin’s name did you want me to say? ‘By the way, Harry, I got branded by your arch enemy today?’ Or “ or how about ‘I was thinking of getting a tattoo. What do you think of this?’ Damn it, Ron, do you think I asked for this?”


“I don’t know, did you?”


“I was unconscious! I had no idea.”


“What does it mean, Nathan?” Arthur asked quietly.


Borgin sighed and ran a hand through his hair. “It means just what you think it means. I’m in the club,” he paused. “I think he simply wants to keep tabs on me.”


“Why?” Hermione asked skeptically.


“I know things that can help him, things he wants to use that he doesn’t want the Order to use,” Borgin said, pushing his chair back and turning toward the open door.


“Just where do you think you’re going?” Ron demanded.


“On holiday, Ron. Where do you think I’m going?” Nathan replied sarcastically before following Harry and Ginny out in the night air.


“Let him go, Ron,” Arthur said, nodding at Hermione who put her hand on Ron’s shoulder and forcefully pushed him into the seat Harry vacated.


“You’re just going to let him go out there - with them - with that on his arm?” Ron demanded.


“Yes, Ron, we are,” Dumbledore stated, sitting down across from him. “Ron, Molly, Arthur, Hermione - I trust Nathan Borgin. I always have. He is a good man and a trustworthy Order member.”


Dumbledore motioned for everyone to take a seat around the kitchen table. Molly refused to sit, so Arthur stood behind her, his hands on her shoulders for support. Hermione slowly sat down next to Ron who huffed, folding his arms across his chest.


“Now, Catarina, would you like to explain what a Blood Bonding is and why it is important that it takes place?”


Catarina looked at the flushed, angry, devastated faces around her. She nodded, sitting down next to Dumbledore. She knew if it was her daughter and a young man whom she loved like a son, she wouldn’t have acted any differently.
She also knew she would want as many answers as she could get. She was prepared to give the Weasleys as many as she could.


++++


“Harry James Potter!”


Harry whipped around. He was standing under the gnarled apple tree in the back of the garden where they had danced just a few nights ago, his hand fisted around a rock he was about to pitch into the ground. Ginny marched up to him, fists clenched at her side, angry sparks flying from her eyes.


“How dare you just walk out of that kitchen and leave me there!”


“What? Gin-“


“No, you listen to me, Harry James Potter,” she ground out, her nose millimeters from his, “we are in this together. Never, ever forget that. What my mum said in there, what Ron said, they were mad and scared and angry. They don’t understand what we’re about to do. They were just trying to protect us.”


“I know that.”


“But we need to protect them as well, and that’s the part they don’t understand.”


“I know that, Gin.”


“Then why did you storm out like that?”


“Because,” Harry sighed, dropping the rock in his hand and rubbing his forehead in frustration, “I’m tired of them not letting me make my own decisions. Or letting you make your own decisions.”


Ginny blinked at him, her shoulders slumping as her anger drained away. Harry reached out and took her hand, pulling her down on the ground next to him.


“They love us,” Ginny said quietly.


“I know that,” Harry said. “And I love them.” Picking up a stick, Harry trailed it in the patchy dirt in front of him and snorted.


“What?” Ginny asked.


“Well, you know, I always wanted a family, and now I have one with all the strings attached.”


“Yes, you do,” Ginny said.


“And I will do whatever it takes to keep you safe,” Harry vowed, looking up into her eyes.


“I can take care of myself, Harry.”


“I know that. But if there is something else that will keep you safer, like the Blood Bonding, then I’m going to do it. We’re going to do it,” he answered determinedly.


The grass rustled behind them. They turned to see Nathan stepping into the clearing. He stopped several feet away, unsure of how to approach them. He felt as if he was stealing the most precious thing the Weasley’s owned and taking it far, far away, without being able to give any assurances he would be able to return it. He hated putting this family through it, but he didn’t see another way. Taking a deep breath, he walked forward.


“Harry, Ginny, I am sorry,” he apologized softly. “This “ tonight was unexpected. It certainly did not go as I had hoped. And this “ this monstrosity,” he paused, waving his unharmed arm over the other, “was not my idea.”


Uncrossing his legs, Harry stood up, pulling Ginny with him. Nathan watched as Harry put his arm around Ginny. It wasn’t a casual gesture; it was meant as a sign of protection and a warning. Nathan nodded, understanding full well that, should something happen to Ginny because of him, he would have to answer to Harry.


They stood in silence, sizing each other up, for at least a minute, until finally, Harry spoke.


“When do we leave?”


“As soon as possible,” Nathan said, turning to head back to the Burrow.

++++


A/N “ Who to thank first? Pavartipatil, my wonderful grammar beta who I am loosing. Thank you for all your help! To wvchemteach who kept pushing this back until the characters sounded like the characters “ thank you! And lastly to all you who read and review “ I love the input!

Also - I need to apologize regarding the rating change. When I started writing this, it was a G-PG story. As it has evolved, it has needed to be bumped up to PG-13. I truly realize this is horrible form on my part and I am so sorry.



Next chapter “ Ginny’s Training Begins
Transitions by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own nor profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.




Transitions





Catarina stood in front of her open wardrobe, trying to decide what to wear. She was not normally a person hung up on convention. She just hadn’t shared a home with anyone besides the odd cat for many years, and no cat she had ever lived with cared a whisker about what she wore for breakfast. She sighed and then chuckled. She was working herself into a twit because she desperately wanted to make a good impression on her two young guests. Harry and Ginny were sleeping downstairs. In the back of her mind, she knew they would probably share the cat’s feelings and not give a care as to what she wore, as long as she didn’t appear at the breakfast table naked. Tapping her toe on the floor, Catarina folded her arms across her chest and huffed in frustration. Chehalis, her black and white tabby cat, rubbed against her bare ankles, reminding her she needed to get a move on. There were appetites to feed.


“I know, I know,” Catarina said, bending down to scratch the cat behind his ears. “At my age, I shouldn’t care about these things. I should just go about my business and let everyone chalk my eccentricities up to old age.”


Chehalis meowed his agreement and sat down, peering up at her with his greenish-gold almond shaped eyes, tapping the end of his tail on the floor.


“So, what about this?” Catarina asked, reaching in to grab her bathrobe. “Oh, listen to me. I’ve got actual human company and here I am[,] discussing wardrobe choices with a feline.”


Chehalis, realizing he had been snubbed, stood up, showed Catarina his tail, and hopped up on the bed. Chucking at herself and her cat, Catarina pulled the bathrobe on over her nightdress. Tying it shut, she slipped on her slippers and headed down to the kitchen to put the kettle on.


They had arrived at Catarina’s cottage late last night. Before leaving the Burrow, Dumbledore had done his best to reassure Molly and Arthur that Ginny and Harry would be as safe as possible. He had also mentioned, that as soon as it was safe, a guest or two might be allowed a visit. And, as soon as the bonding was completed, the teenagers would be able to return to the Burrow, hopefully before the beginning of term.


A half hour after making their way back to the Burrow with Nathan, Harry and Ginny, pale but determined, appeared in the kitchen, bags in hand. Hermione, her eyes bright with tears, blinked at them. Ron, his arms resting on the table, hands clasped in front of him, refused to meet their gazes. Arthur stood up and walked around the table. Ginny smiled weakly at her dad, who kissed her on the forehead before enveloping her in a hug. Still holding Ginny, Arthur met Harry’s gaze over the top of her head and stretched out his hand. Harry took it and shook it firmly, a promise to take care of Ginny shining in his eyes. Arthur nodded in silent response before reluctantly letting go of Ginny.


Ginny looked across the table to her mother, her heart aching at the expression on her mum’s face, a mixture of fear, anger and heartbreak. Ginny wanted to comfort her, to assure her this was the right thing to do. But all that kept running through her mind was, ‘I’m not Percy,’ and Ginny didn’t think her mum wanted to hear that at the moment. Instead, Ginny walked over, leaned down and placed a kiss on her mum’s cheek, whispering, “We’ll be home soon. I love you, Mum,” before turning back toward Harry.


Hermione, sniffling and wiping tears away with the back of her hands, crushed both of them to her. She whispered to Ginny to study hard; to Harry, she mumbled into his jumper to be supportive and pay attention. Looking at Ron’s downcast eyes over the top of Hermione’s head, Harry sighed. He hated leaving his and Ron’s friendship in this state, but he wasn’t sure anything he would say at this point in time would change Ron’s mind. Ron was going to have to work this out on his own. Detangling himself from Hermione’s hug, Harry asked her if she would mind looking after Hedwig until he returned. He had a feeling that a snowy white owl might attract some attention, no matter where they were headed.


Dumbledore charmed a wooden spoon to act as a Portkey and gave it to Catarina. Harry and Ginny were reaching out for it when the scrape of a chair and Molly’s cry broke the silence. Wrapping her arms around both of them, Molly wept openly on their shoulders, telling them she loved them and admonishing them to behave. Harry and Ginny hugged her back, promising her they would. Arthur finally stepped forward, placing his hands on his wife’s shoulders, slowly pulling her back so she could lean on his chest, as she let go.


Catarina nodded solemnly at Arthur and Molly and then held out the wooden spoon to Harry and Ginny. The three of them felt the familiar tug behind their navels as the Portkey activated, the Burrow becoming a blur, their feet landing on the cool, damp grass outside of a small two story cottage. It was too dark to see much as Catarina ushered her charges through the front door. After showing Ginny to the guest room and apologizing to Harry for putting him on the sofa in the small sitting room off the kitchen, she wished them sweet dreams and went to bed herself.


Catarina had lain awake watching the shadows on her ceiling for quite a while. It had been less than a week since the owl had landed on the window sill above her sink. Dumbledore wanted the bond to take place before the beginning of term, which meant Ginny had a month to do something that took some Mediators years to learn.


Feeling Chehalis’ weight land silently on the bed, Catarina had jumped, startled out of her musings, and her heart racing. The cat padded its way up to her pillow, curling himself up, and leaned leaning against Catarina, who absentmindedly scratched him under his chin. Chehalis’ rhythmic purring finally lulled her into a fitful sleep.



Now, walking down the narrow staircase that led from her bedroom on the second floor to the back of the house, Catarina looked over the railing to see the spare bedroom door open. Stepping down off the last step, Catarina gently pushed on the door. Ginny’s bag lay open on top of the quilt Catarina had folded back last night and the bed did not look slept in. Sighing, she wondered if she was going to have to set some ground rules for night time visiting as she walked down the short hallway that led to the kitchen, which was empty, too.


Stepping quietly into the sitting room adjacent to the kitchen, Catarina scanned the room for her two charges. The overstuffed olive colored sofa was empty. Harry’s bag sat next to it, unopened on the floor. Taking another step into the room, she placed her hand on the back of the high backed reading chair facing the fireplace, gasping in alarm as her hand brushed against something soft. Breathing rapidly, she tentatively looked down. Fast asleep and still fully dressed from last night, Ginny was leaning against Harry’s shoulder, her cheek resting on one of her hands which was curled under her chin. Her other hand was clutching tightly to Harry’s jumper. Covered with the quilt Catarina had brought for him to sleep under, Harry had his arms circled around her, his legs stretched out on the footstool in front of the chair, his head resting against Ginny’s. In the dim morning light filtering through her windows, Catarina could see the tear tracks running down Ginny’s cheeks.


Her heart aching, Catarina stepped quietly backwards into the kitchen, stopping for a moment to decide the best course of action. If she had been in their shoes, she was pretty confident the last thing she would have wanted was to be woken up by some old batty witch she barely knew after such a long night. No, she would want an opportunity to collect and compose herself.


Turning around, she walked stealthily to the back stairs and climbed back up to her room. Chehalis was curled up in the warm spot his mistress had left vacant. The look of annoyance at the prospect of giving up his sleeping spot was nothing compared to the incredulous glare he sent her way as Catarina loudly stomped on her floor. When hearing no signs of movement downstairs, Catarina bent her knees and jumped up and down, up and down, the mirror on the wall rattling, the water pitcher on her nightstand sloshing. Breathing hard, she stopped and listened again. Smiling as she heard the kitchen floorboards creak, she tightened the ties of her robe, waited a minute, and then headed back downstairs.


++++


The smell of something salty and fried led Harry by the nose to the kitchen. Ginny was already sitting at the table, hair damp from her shower, cheeks pink from the steam. Her hands were wrapped around a mug of tea. Harry grinned at her as he sat down next to her. Reaching out, he gently pried one of her hands from the mug and wrapped it in his, resting it on his knee. When Ginny smiled back at him, he was relieved to see her eyes full of determination.


When their feet had hit the cool, dewy grass last night, Catarina smiled tentatively and welcomed them to her home. Catarina’s hesitant manner as she had ushered them inside and given them a quick tour calmed Harry as he realized she had not been expecting to bring guests home with her on her return. The way she had apologized as she handed Harry a down pillow resting on top of a faded quilt assured him this was as much a surprise to her as it was to them.


Left alone, Harry placed his bag by the sofa and sat down in the high backed chair, his arms wrapped around the pillow and quilt, staring at the fire. He listened to Catarina’s footfalls up the back stairs and the closing of her bedroom door. He jumped when he heard Ginny’s whisper.


“Harry?”


Startled, he whipped around to see Ginny standing in the entryway to the kitchen, the tears trailing down her cheeks. Dropping the pillow and quilt, he reached out his arms to her. Ginny lunged forward, curling up into a ball in his lap. He felt the frustration and exhaustion she had been holding back pour out of her in silent, wracking sobs. Harry wrapped his arms around her, trying to soak up her emotion, to give her back some of the solace she always managed to give him. No matter how committed she was to this, Harry realized the confrontation in the kitchen of the Burrow along with the sheer act of walking away from her family had taken its toll. It was enough to shake anyone’s foundation.


As Ginny’s tears turned to shuddering breaths, Harry reached down and pulled the quilt up, propping his legs up on the footstool in front of him and snuggling into the blankets’ warmth. Placing a gentle kiss on the top of Ginny’s head, Harry felt her relax into him.


“Harry?” Ginny whispered.


“Yeah?”


“I love you.”


Harry swallowed, a lump forming in his throat. “I love you, too, Ginny,” he whispered back, resting his forehead on her shoulder. Listening as her breathing calmed, becoming deep and even, Harry closed his eyes. His last thought before sleep claimed him was he would do whatever it took in order keep his silent promise to Arthur Weasley.



“Good morning, Harry,” Catarina smiled brightly, bringing him out of his memories. “Tea?”


“Uh, yeah, thanks,” Harry said, finding himself smiling back.


Catarina placed a grey speckled ceramic mug in front of him and poured hot water from an old tin tea kettle over the tea bag inside it. Setting the kettle back over the gas flame, she carried over two plates of eggs and potatoes. After serving her guests, Catarina sat down across from Harry and Ginny, her hands wrapped around her mug.


Reaching for a piece of bacon from the platter in the middle on the table, Catarina smiled, feeling her heart warm as she watched Harry scoop up a bite of eggs and eat it with relish. It had been a long time since she had had a growing boy to feed, and judging, by the speed the food was disappearing from his plate, she was going to need to fill her pantry.


“Have you lived here by yourself for a while?” Harry asked, pushing the last bite of eggs onto his fork with a piece of toast.


“Mmmm,” answered Catarina, “a while.”


“Why?” asked Ginny.


Catarina took a deep breath. “Well, when I left Nathan’s father, I needed to get away. I spent some time in London, but then the big city got to be too much for me, and I opted for the country. Some might think I went from one end of the spectrum to the other…but I like it.”


Catarina drained her tea and pushed her chair back. She carried her mug to the sink and swirled water around inside it, then dumped it out and set it down. Turning around, she smiled at her guests.


“So, what would the two of you like to do today?” she asked.


Ginny and Harry looked at each other briefly in surprise and then turned to Catarina.


“What do you mean?” Ginny asked. “Shouldn’t we get started?”


Catarina smiled. “Yes, we should. However, I need to do a bit of planning. When Nathan wrote me, he did not mention exactly what he needed my help with. That being said, I’m not really prepared to teach you what you need to know just yet. I need today to gather the necessary texts and review the process before I can aid you in the best way possible.


“In the meantime,” Catarina continued, “I might suggest you two do a little exploring. The actual Blood Bonding needs to take place somewhere that speaks to you, a place you both feel a connection to. The reason behind this is that you will be comfortable there in each other’s presence. Normally, this is not a problem since the ceremony usually takes place closer to home, but in your case…well, things are different,” Catarina finished, picking up a dishcloth and carrying it back to the table. Resting her hands on the back of her chair, Catarina looked from Ginny to Harry and back again. Sighing, she sat back down and propped her elbows on the table.


“I’m sorry,” she said sincerely.


“For what?” Ginny asked.


“For all of this,” Catarina said, waving the dishcloth in the air. Water droplets sailed through the air, several splattering across Harry’s glasses. Blinking, Harry reached up and slipped them off, wiping the spots off on his t-shirt. Catarina looked at him helplessly. “For that,” she said pointing at Harry’s newly dried glasses. “For dragging you off in the middle of the night from your home, from your family. For dropping into your life unannounced and putting you through this. For “ for you having to do this in the first place,” she finished, dropping her hands, dishcloth and all, into her lap. “It’s not fair,’ she said quietly.


Harry studied his host, her concerned look, her slumped shoulders, her furrowed brow. There was something about her - her tone of voice, her saddened eyes, the tilt of her head - that made him believe she was sincere. He got the sense that she had been through something similar and had the scars to prove it.


“But there isn’t anything we can do about this now, so let’s get started.” Catarina put her palms down on the table and pushed herself up. “You two, go, explore, enjoy. Breathe deep the fresh air. Don’t pressure yourself to find your place. It will find you. As long as you see the cottage, you will be safe,” she added, a stern look on her face.


Ginny nodded and pushed her chair back. Picking up her and Harry’s breakfast plates, she carried them to the sink.


“I’ll do the dishes,” Catarina said, waving Ginny away and taking the mugs from Harry. “Go! I will be in the study determining our best course of action. After lunch, I will have you two stay here while I pop to the shops.”


“Shops?” Ginny asked. What little she had gleaned from looking out the windows, there was not a shop, a home, a bird’s nest or any other type of habitation in eyesight, let alone earshot.


“Yes, shops,” Catarina said. “We all need to eat and my pantry’s rather empty.”


“How do you get to the shops?” Harry asked. He had yet to see Catarina use any magic. Looking around the kitchen, he realized that, while the cottage had indoor plumbing, that was where the Muggle modernizations seemed to have stopped. He noticed the matches sitting on the cupboard that Catarina must have used to light the gas stove and had seen the wood burning heater by the back door; and there was no telephone or radio, just oil lamps for light and books for entertainment - lots and lots of books.


“Bicycle,” she answered. “Despite the fact that Muggles rarely pay attention enough to notice magic, I just can’t Apparate into the frozen food section at the Shop-n-Save.”


Harry grinned. He could just imagine Aunt Petunia opening the door to the freezer for a meat pie and suddenly be staring at someone who hadn’t been on the other side a moment before. Catarina saw the smile and caught her breath. It was the same type of smile Nathan used to have when they shared a joke. Swallowing, she turned toward the sink, reaching down to pick up a dirty mug and the scrubber. This was not the time or place for her regrets and memories. Vigorously scrubbing the tea stains out of the inside of the mug, it took her a minute to realize Harry was staring at her.


“Is something wrong?” she asked, her voice catching a touch.


“No! No,” Harry repeated. “I just figured you’d use magic to do your dishes like Mrs. Weasley does.”


Catarina looked down at her soapy hands holding the mug and scrubber and chuckled. Meeting Harry’s eyes, she shrugged her shoulders. “I have done everything the Muggle way for so long, I have forgotten there was another way. Besides, I’ve always found doing dishes rather therapeutic. You can relieve quite a bit of stress when scrubbing the burnt bits out of the bottom of a pot,” she said smiling. “Now, you two, go. The sun is up. You should be out in it.”


Harry smiled at Catarina and turned to Ginny, holding out his hand. Ginny reached for it and let him lead her out the front door into the sunshine.


Catarina watched the two teenagers stop about twenty feet from the front porch and turn to look at the cottage. What do they see? she wondered. She liked these two. They were young and bright and powerful. All anyone had to do was be in the same room with them for ten minutes to feel the power roll of them. Resting the last plate in the drying rack, Catarina dried her hands on the dishtowel hanging on a hook on the side of the kitchen cupboard. Glancing out the window again, she saw Ginny stand on her tip toes to give Harry a quick kiss. She watched them pull apart and smile into each others’ eyes. Powerful and deeply in love. She would need to keep that in mind while she worked with Ginny. She didn’t want anything to go wrong because she had underestimated the situation.


Turning away from the window, Catarina passed through the sitting room and pushed open a double set of French doors that hid her office. She sneezed as the dust poofed in the swoosh of air let in by the opening of the doors. She made a mental note to dust in here later. Then she grinned. She had made the same mental note for the past month. But this time, she could charm the dust cloth so perhaps she might actually carry through with the task.


The office was a square shaped room. Three of the four walls were floor to ceiling bookshelves, crammed full of bound volumes. Sheets of parchment filled with scribbled notes were tucked here and there in between the books. Photographs of a young boy smiling and waving at her sat on some shelves; other shelves held photos of the same boy in a Hogwarts uniform in various stages of maturity. One of the shelves held a small rosewood box with a keyhole in the front. Catarina’s desk faced the French doors. A picture window behind the desk let in the morning sun which was sending rainbows across the desk and floor.


Catarina breathed deep and sneezed again. Grinning, she went straight to her bookshelves and started pulling out texts, flipping them open, stacking some on the corner of her desk, replacing others. She then opened the trunk that sat under the window and started digging through the books in it, too. She glanced briefly at the bottom of the chest. Satisfied she had found what she needed, Catarina sat down at her desk and pulled the books toward her. Looking at the wall of knowledge in front of her, Catarina felt her eyes begin burn; she knew it was not from the dust. A tear trickled down her cheek. Many, many years ago, she had been in Ginny’s shoes.


Shaking her head and wiping her damp cheek with the back of her hand, Catarina chose a title and flipped it open. Opening her desk drawer, she pulled out a piece of parchment and a quill and began to take notes.


++++


Spreading her arms, Ginny soaked up the brightness of the sun, twirling around, savoring the summer air that still held a touch of early morning dampness. She twirled until she was dizzy, stopping to catch her breath and balance. Her hands on her knees to steady herself, she smiled up at Harry.


“So,” Ginny said, straightening up. “Where should we go?”


Shielding his eyes from the sun, Harry gazed over the landscape. Catarina’s cottage sat on top of a hill, looking down on valley surrounded by larger rolling green hills. The higher the hill, the more rocks could be seen, stuck out at odd angles as if they had been shoved in when the hill was still a soft pile of malleable dirt. The last of the summer mist the sun had yet to burn off clung to the trees on their tops. The little one lane road that led to the cottage wound its way through the valley, disappearing within clumps of trees only to appear again on the other side, boarded by a stone wall that kept it on course. Good fences make good neighbors, Harry thought, except there wasn’t a neighbor to be seen, animal or human.


Holding his hand out, Harry shrugged. “I don’t know. Pick a hill.”


Giggling, Ginny took his hand and stood on her toes and to give him a kiss. “Alright,” she said. “I pick…that one!”


“Alright, that one,” Harry nodded, pulling her to his side.


++++


Harry and Ginny lay on the ground, watching the clouds drift through the bright blue sky. After leaving the cottage, they had spent a good hour, walking across the hills, always careful to keep the cottage in sight. They hadn’t spoken much, each lost in his or her thoughts. Finding a clear spot on a slope, Ginny had sat down and pulled her knees up to her chin. Harry sat down next to her and followed her gaze to Catarina’s cottage.


Harry contemplated the two story stone structure. It certainly was more Muggle looking than the Burrow. For starters, the small upstairs sat on top of the downstairs, not off to one side. Its front porch was painted white. Harry could barely make out the wooden rocker sitting on it or the flower pots filled with purple and yellow pansies that dotted the three front steps. The faded blue shutters hung next to the thick glass windows. There was a small vegetable garden at the back, surrounded by a small stone wall similar to the one lining the roads. There were very few trees about the cottage itself, but more in the valley. Harry thought that odd, but then again, he had no real clue where they were.


Ginny lay back in the grass, scooting next to Harry and resting her head on his bent elbow.


“We should be looking for our place,” she murmured.


Harry closed his eyes, the warm sun making him drowsy.


“Hmmm….no “ no, we shouldn’t,” Ginny contradicted herself, letting the sun close her eyes and warm her soul. “Catarina said our place would find us.”


Harry sucked in his breath. He wondered if Ginny realized she was playing with the bottom hem of his t-shirt, her fingers brushing against his bare skin. He winced as her knuckle brushed his side. He looked back up at the clouds, willing himself to think of anything but her hands on his bare skin. He wasn’t sure if he let out a sigh of relief or a groan of frustration when she dropped the hem of his shirt and rested her hand in the grass.


“Harry? Do you ever think of what will happen after…after it’s all over?”


Harry swallowed and thought for a moment. He didn’t used to think about it. When he had learned of the prophecy, his energies, mental and physical, had all been focused on survival. But since he had been going out with Ginny, things had changed. It wasn’t that he was less focused on survival, but more that survival seemed an achievable goal. Sure, Voledmort was a huge obstacle, but he was beginning to see around the obstacle to what awaited him on the other side. And he liked what he saw.


“Yeah,” he answered quietly, reaching down to take Ginny’s hand. “Yeah, I think about it.”


“What do you see?”


Harry took a deep breath and blurted out the first thing that came to mind. “Lots of red headed kids,” he answered, his cheeks flushing red. What he had just admitted was the honest truth. Harry noticed that Ginny had gone absolutely still next to him. He frantically wondered if he should say something.


Ginny was afraid to move, because moving meant changing this perfect moment. She suddenly understood what it meant to have your heart ache because you loved someone so much. Her eyes on the clouds, she could feel her smile spread from ear to ear.


“You know,” she said slowly, “they say you should marry your best friend. That means you’ll have to fight Hermione for Ron, that is, if he’ll say ye-“


She didn’t get a chance to finish her sentence as Harry rolled on top of her.


“Even if he decides to talk to me again,” he said, his nose touching hers, “I don’t think I’ll be marrying Ron.”


“No, I suppose not,” she said breathlessly, before she wasn’t able to say anything else for a very long time.


++++


“So, Ginny, while I’m gone, I have a few notes I want you to review,” Catarina commented, sliding a stack of parchment across the table.


Ginny pushed her half eaten sandwich away and pulled the parchment toward her. Breathing deep, she scanned the neat, tidy handwriting.


“Now,” Catarina continued, “I still need to do a little more revising, but that should get you started.”


“Is there anything I should do?” Harry asked, his eyes on Ginny, a half smile on his face. Ginny was reading intently, her lips moving slightly as she trailed her finger down the page.


“Well, Harry, to be honest, there isn’t much for you to do presently. A Blood Bonding is similar to becoming pregnant. The wizard gets to be there for the fun, but the witch has to carry the burden,” Catarina said, biting the inside of her cheek as Harry choked on the gulp of lemonade he had just taken. “I’ve always had a certain yearning to be a seahorse, for that reason,” Catarina commented as she stood up to clear her lunch dishes.


“Right,” Harry answered, his face flushed.


“Ginny, jot down any questions you might have and we can go over it when I return,” Catarina said, taking a shopping basket down from the hook on the back of the door. “Harry, why don’t you unpack, or feel free to borrow a book from my office? I’ll be back in a hour or so.”


Ginny waved absentmindedly from the table as the screen door slammed behind her. Harry stood up and walked to the door, watching Catarina as she walked around the corner of the cottage. A minute later, she passed by the front door on an old brown bicycle, her salt and pepper hair tied back in a scarf, oversized sunglasses shading her eyes. She rang a small bell on her handlebars as she entered the road.


Ginny stood up from the table, her eyes focused on the notes in front of her. “I think I’ll sit on the porch to read,” she said, her hand reaching out slowly for the door handle.


Harry reached for the door. “Allow me,” he joked. Ginny smiled briefly and continued reading as she walked onto the porch. Harry’s eyes followed her as she sat down in the wooden rocker, his spirits buoyed by watching her become engrossed in her subject.


Harry gently closed the door. Gazing around the kitchen, he realized he had some time on his hands. Deciding he could start by throwing his clothes in the trunk Catarina had shown him, he headed to the sitting room. Opening his bag, Harry scooped out his clothes and opened the lid of the trunk. Dropping them in, he closed the lid of the trunk and glanced at his watch. Two minutes down. Picking up his bag, Harry ran his hand around the bottom to make sure he had not left anything inside. As his fingers grasped at nothing, he swore. He had left Ginny’s birthday presents behind. In their rush to leave last night, Harry had left all of the books with all of their notes, bookmarks and carefully chosen spells he had spent the past few weeks gathering for Ginny in the wardrobe in the twins’ bedroom. He threw the bag down in frustration and plopped down on the sofa.


He had no idea how long they would be here. And he had to have something, something special for Ginny. Harry sighed. Well, at least he had something to do now.


++++


“So, what do you think?” Catarina asked, leaning against the railing of the front porch.


“You’re back!” Ginny exclaimed, setting the parchment aside and unfolding her legs from under her. Stretching, she was surprised to see the afternoon sun waning. “How long have I been reading?”


“A while,” Catarina smiled.


“It’s fascinating,” Ginny said, smiling, her eyes dancing with excitement.


“It’s hard work,” Catarina cautioned.


“I know. But to think, I can do that…I will have the ability to influence, to heal…” Ginny trailed off, her eyes focused on her hands.


“Well, before you can do that, you need to learn yourself. Tomorrow, you will start by learning your own blood flow.”


Ginny looked up surprised. “Learn myself?”


Catarina nodded. “In order to be of any good to Harry, you need to be good to yourself. You need to be your own Mediator before you can be his. You do not want to lose yourself in your bond. If you lose yourself in the bond, your strength leaves you. When your strength leaves you, you are powerless and therefore useless to yourself,” Catarina finished seriously.


“Is that what happened to you?” Ginny asked quietly.


“It is what happened to a younger version of me,” Catarina answered pushing herself off the railing. Reaching to open the door, she looked over her shoulder at Ginny. “I will not let that happen to you.”



++++


“Harry?”


Harry turned his head on his pillow at the sound of Ginny’s whisper.


“Yeah?”


Ginny smiled and tip toed over to the davenport, kneeling in front of it.


“I just wanted to wish you good night,” she said, brushing the hair off his forehead, leaning forward to brush her lips against his. Standing up, she walked back toward the kitchen.


“Hey, Gin?”


“Yeah?”


“What did you think?”


“Oh, Harry!” she exclaimed quietly, returning to the couch and dropping to her knees again. “It’s amazing! I hate to sound like Hermione, but I think I’m going to go read some more before I turn out my light!”


Harry grinned sleepily at Ginny’s excitement. “Don’t stay up too late,” he admonished.


“I won’t,” she assured, giving him another quick kiss. “Good night, Harry. I love you!”


“ ‘Night, Gin. I love you, too.”


++++


Chehalis jumped on the desk in the office, still cluttered with open books and rolls of parchment filled with notes. Padding softly over, he nudged Catarina’s hand holding her quill with his head.


“Chehalis!” she exclaimed as her quill went skating two inches in the opposite direction of her train of thought. “Really! What was that for?” Glancing up at the clock on her desk, she sighed. “Oh, bedtime. Right. Well, are Harry and Ginny settled?” she asked, putting down her quill and scratching the cat behind the ears. Chehalis arched his shoulders as if to say, Like I care, before spreading out on a stray piece of parchment like a long, furry paperweight.


Catarina pushed her chair back and stood up, resting her hands on her lower back and arching backwards, stretching her achy back muscles. Turning back to her desk, Catarina started closing the opened books and shuffling the parchment into organized piles. Picking up her quill, she set it in the holder. Quills and parchment were two things she had never given up for the Muggle equivalent. There was no texture or imperfections in bleached white paper; no connection to life in a ball point pen.


Catarina picked up the top sheet of parchment on the pile in front of her. Nathan had told her the Blood Bonding was needed to avoid Voldemort being able to use their blood for an immortality spell. Bartholomew had messed around with immortality and blood, continually asking her questions about things such as Blood Bonding. She had not thought to ask Nathan the specifics of this particular spell, nor had he had the opportunity to go further into it. Shrugging her shoulders, she admonished herself for needless worry. It’s probably nothing, she assured her subconscious, setting the parchment back down.


Quietly closing the doors to her office behind her, she peeked at Harry who was sleeping soundly on the sofa. Watching him, she decided in the morning, she would send an owl to Nathan. She wanted to make sure she had all her bases covered.


+++++



A/N “ In case you're wondering, the cat's name Chehalis (shuh - hay - lis) is from a town in Washington. When we moved here, we opened the state map and decided the state was a plethera of good pet names. Our children are happy we stopped with the cat and dog. :)



An interesting question came my way “ what does Ginny get out of performing a Blood Bonding? Besides Voldemort not being able to use her blood for an immortality spell and this being her way to support the war effort (by strengthening Harry), it does seem rather one sided. So I’ve been driving around all day trying to figure out why in my mind it was natural for Ginny to do this. I came to the conclusion, that yes, while something tangible may come out of this for her, this is her gift to Harry. We all do things for our significant others that we expect nothing in return for. It’s our gift to them because it will help them or make them happy or simply support them. We do it because we love them. Deep down, I have simply believed all along Ginny would do this because she loved Harry. Anything else my imagination is currently working on is icing (and it is working, Been Reading!).

Also - I need to again apologize regarding the rating change. When I started writing this, it was a G-PG story. As it has evolved, it has needed to be bumped up. I truly realize this is horrible form on my part and I am so sorry.


My thanks again to my betas, pavartipatil and wvchemteach. Where would this story be without you? And welcome to Kissmegrint - what were you thinking? :)
Suspicions by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.


Suspicions




Nathan tossed the last sliver of wood into his fireplace and mopped his brow. All that was left of his desk was its contents, piled against the wall under the windows. It had taken two days to put the rest of his flat right again. When he had risen this morning, he finally admitted he was unable to put off cleaning up his study any longer. Armed with a mug of tea and a determined look on his face, Nathan had approached his sanctuary. Anger caused his stomach to roll as he sifted through the debris, most of it books burnt by spells. His shelves, now holding a third of the volumes they once had, stood as a reminder of just who he was dealing with.


Turning to the pile of odds and ends he had set aside, Nathan knelt down and pulled a box toward him. Placing the clutter that had collected in his desk inside, the box was soon full of quills, ink pots, spell-o-tape, clean parchment and a polishing rag for his wand. Scooping up the sickles that had slid around every time he opened a drawer, he stood up and pushed them into his pocket. Lifting the box up, he visually examined the contents as he carried it to his kitchen. So, this is what my life amounts to, eh? he thought wryly.


Setting the box on the table, he heard a gentle tap-tap-tap on the window above the sink. Moving around the table, he pushed the window open. A small grey barn owl hopped onto the sill and held out its leg expectantly. Nathan untied the parchment and stroked the owl on its head. Nathan’s hand froze in midair as a sudden hiss came from behind his shoulder and flash of fur flew by his ear.


“Accio!” Nathan exclaimed as the owl hopped backward once, turned, and flew out the window, flicking the cat with his wing as if to say, Touche!


“Seriously! That is no way to treat the messenger,” Nathan scolded, picking his cat up and not so gently tossing him on the kitchen floor. Accio gave him a baleful look before heading off to find a sunbeam.


Nathan unfolded the parchment in his hand and recognized his mother’s handwriting. He smiled as he felt an old, long forgotten excitement build in his chest. While he had been away at school, his mother had always written warm, funny letters, full of bizarre gossip and strange bits of information that had nothing to do with anything. At first glance, Nathan could see this letter was definitely about something, but it appeared his mother had tried to write it vaguely enough that should the owl be intercepted, it would be hard to decipher exactly what she meant.



Nathan “

It is a wonderful day to begin. My friend seems very interested in what I have been able to pass on so far. She is a very bright young woman and will be a pleasure to work with.

It has occurred to me that you and I never had a good opportunity to chat, especially regarding the circumstances of my friends. I was hoping we might do that.

Thank you. I will be in touch soon.
Take care “

C.




Nathan sighed. By circumstances, his mother most likely meant the immortality spell. Recalling his youth, Nathan knew his mother had never asked a question unless she had a good reason. Reaching for a small pot sitting on the mantel, Borgin scooped out some Floo power and threw it into the fireplace.


“Albus Dumbledore!” he spoke into the flames and waited a few moments until Dumbledore’s head appeared amidst the dancing fire.


“Good morning, Nathan,” the headmaster said.


“Albus. I have received an invitation to go to the country for a chat,” he commented mildly. Since the break in, he was not about to reveal anything unnecessary over something so easily monitored as the Floo network.


“I hear the country is lovely this time of year,” Dumbledore’s head replied thoughtfully. “Is this a friendly chat?”


“Probably a more serious one, actually,” Nathan said trying to sound unconcerned. Nathan saw Dumbledore pause and nod.


“Please give your friend my best,” he said.


“I will. Thank you, Albus,” Nathan said as Dumbledore’s head disappeared from his fireplace. Nathan stared at the flames, wondering what his mother really wanted. Then, realizing he was wasting time, he headed into his bedroom to pack.


++++


Hermione stood at the edge of the garden, clutching a book to her chest. She watched as Ron scooped an escaping gnome up, whirled it around and tossed it over the hedge. She smiled the smile of a satisfied cat. Quidditch had been good to her boyfriend. No one could deny the grace and skill he had acquired playing the game. It matched the confidence he now carried himself with, on and off the field. And it went well with those broad shoulders and muscular arms that sent another gnome flying out of the garden.


Her smile disappeared as she thought of the past few days. She had tried to get Ron to talk about the argument that occurred the night Harry and Ginny had left, but he had stubbornly refused. She knew he loved Harry and Ginny deeply and his anger was born out of his innate sense of protectiveness. That he cared so deeply was one of the reasons she loved him so much. But it wasn’t only Harry and Ginny. The strain between his parents and him was wearing on Ron. He was finding it hard to forgive them for letting Ginny go with Borgin. Hermione could tell he hadn’t slept well from the smudges under his eyes. Watching him take his frustration and worry out on the garden’s magical creatures, she was hoping her suggestion would give him some relief.


Clearing her throat, Hermione took a step toward Ron.


“I think this might be the first time you’ve ever de-gnomed your mum’s garden without being asked,” she commented, hoping to make him smile.


Ron heaved the gnome he was holding over the hedge. He ran his hands through his hair and shrugged his shoulders.


“Needed to be done,” he said, wiping his sweaty brow on the sleeve of this t-shirt.


“Kind of early in the morning to be doing it,” Hermione commented, sitting down cross legged on the ground.


Ron flopped down next to her. “Yeah, I guess.”


Hermione laid the book she had brought with her on her lap and ran her palm over the cover. “Ron,” she said, “I’ve been doing some reading on Blood Bonding-“


“I don’t want to hear about it!” Ron said, starting to push himself off the ground.


Hermione put her hand on his arm to stop him. “Ron, it’s not a bad thing.”


“I don’t care! They let her go-“


“I know, Ron! They let her go with a Death Eater. But, really, you can’t honestly believe your mother and father, or Dumbledore for that matter, would let their own child or Harry go with someone they didn’t trust?”


“Yes, I do!”


“Ron, you’re just saying that. Think about it, she’s their only daughter! Harry’s like a son. They wouldn’t knowingly put them in danger. You heard what Professor Borgin and his mum said. This ceremony will protect Harry and Ginny. I’ve read about it. It’s a good thing.”


Ron opened his mouth to argue and shut it again. Clenching his jaw shut, he looked out over the garden, the sun glistening off the dew clinging to the grass. Hermione watched as Ron exhaled slowly, deflating.


“Ron,” Hermione said quietly. “The success of a Blood Bonding depends greatly on the state of mind of the witch and wizard involved.”


Ron turned to look at Hermione.


“Ginny’s birthday is coming up, and I was thinking perhaps we should see if we could go and celebrate with them,” Hermione finished.


Ron sighed. He wasn’t sure if he was more exhausted from lack of sleep or all the worry. He knew what Hermione said was true, even if he didn’t agree. He hated seeing the strain his mum and dad were under, first because of Percy and now Ginny. He felt horrible adding to it. When Harry had taken Borgin’s side, Ron had been blinded by fear and anger. Staring at the ceiling the past two nights, Ron had determined part of his anger had been because Harry got to be the one to look out for his little sister. Harry got to be her protector. He had been surprised to realize he was envious of that. But honestly, deep down, Ron knew if Ginny needed to do this, there wasn’t anyone he would rather have by her side than Harry. He had taken pride in his role as big brother. Listening to Hermione, he realized he also took great pride in being Ginny’s friend.


Ron turned to look at Hermione and raised his eyebrows. “Go and celebrate and…”


“And…patch things up,” she continued. “From what I’ve read, they need to be ““


“Okay.”


“-in the best “ okay?” Hermione repeated. “Okay?”


Ron nodded. “Okay. We’ll need to ask Mum and Dad, but okay.”


Hermione smiled widely at him and flung herself at him, catching him in the chest and knocking him backwards. Ron grunted as he fell backward, his arms encircling her. Feeling lighter than he had in several days, Ron leaned his head back, tightened his arms around his girlfriend and grinned at the sky.


+++++


“Good morning, Mother!”


Catarina screamed, dropping the platter of sausages she had just dished up. Ceramic splinters went flying and sausages rolled to the far corners of the kitchen. Holding her hand to her heart, she whirled around.


“Nathan!” she exclaimed. “What in the world are you doing there?”


“I’ve come for breakfast,” he announced, pushing open the screen door. Walking over to her, he leaned down and gave her a quick kiss on the cheek before sitting down at the table and looking around the kitchen.


Catarina stared at him and raised her hand to her cheek. He had kissed her. He hadn’t done that in…well, years.


Ginny slid into the kitchen. “Is everything alri “ ah!” she exclaimed as her eyes lit on Nathan. “Professor Borgin, what are you doing here?”


“I’ve come for breakfast,” he repeated. “And to perhaps stay a day or two,” he added.


“Really?” Catarina commented. “You received my Owl?” she asked as she directed a broom and dustpan to sweep up the sausages and platter pieces. Ginny realized this was the first time she had seen Catarina use her wand. Pulling out a chair opposite Nathan, she sat down.


“I did,” Nathan replied, looking around. “Where’s Harry?”


“He’s outside,” Ginny said. “He’s gone for a run. Is something wrong?”


“No, no. Mother just asked me to visit, and Dumbledore thought it a good idea to come check up on your progress,” Nathan said.


Catarina carried a platter of toast to the table and placed it next to the pot of jam. She smiled apologetically at Ginny and hit Nathan upside the head with her dish towel.


“Oy!” Nathan exclaimed. “What was that for?”


“That was for ruining the sausages.”


Nathan rolled his eyes causing Ginny to giggle. “So, how are things going?” he asked, spreading raspberry jam on his toast triangle.


“We haven’t really started, yet,” Ginny answered, leaning forward and clasping her hands together in excitement. “Your mum gave me some incredible notes to study. I’ve read them all at least three times.”


Nathan smiled at her enthusiasm. “That’s wonderful, Ginny. So, today you start the real work?”


Catarina sighed. “Nathan, you are a professor! Reviewing notes is real work, too!”


Nathan winked at Ginny. “True, but nearly as much fun as throwing spells.”


Catarina shook her head and stood up, walking over to the stove top and picking up the tea kettle.


“So, what has struck your fancy the most?” he asked Ginny.


Ginny sat back and thought for a moment. “The whole idea of having my bond when I was born is fascinating and creepy all at the same time. Catarina,” Ginny mused, turning to face Catarina, “I’ve been meaning to ask you. What does a Mediator do for a living? I mean, what am I qualified for when I’m done?”


Catarina chuckled. “Absolutely nothing, Ginny, in the professional world, Muggle or Wizard. A Mediator is a one-on-one type of thing, so it’s not a real money maker. Why?”


“Well, my OWL results are probably waiting for me at home,” Ginny shrugged. “When I get back, I’m going to have to choose what I want to do.”


“Have you given it any thought?” Nathan asked interested.


“A little,” Ginny said, drawing circles on the table with her finger. “I’ve been thinking about becoming a curse-breaker.”


“Oh,” Nathan said, leaning back in his chair.


“Oh?” Ginny asked, ready to defend her choice of careers.


“Oh, uh, like Bill?” Nathan stuttered, avoiding his mother’s eye.


Ginny nodded, flushing slightly. “I mean, I don’t know if I would want to work at Gringotts, but it sounds exciting and I’m good at charms. I can think on my feet. I’d get to travel.”


“I think you would be a natural,” Nathan smiled. “I knew a curse breaker once and she loved it. Have you talked to Harry about this?”


“A little. He’s going to finish Auror training, but to be honest, I think he’ll only do that until Voldemort is gone,” Ginny winced. “If it was up to me, I would suggest he become a teacher. He has done wonders with the DA. I just hope he does whatever makes him happy. He deserves that much.”


“That he does,” Catarina said softly.


Ginny nodded, her hands toying with her fork. “Catarina, when you bonded with your husband-“


“I never bonded with my husband,” Catarina said abruptly, her voice devoid of emotion.


“Oh,” Ginny said startled.


Ginny noticed Catarina meet her son’s eyes and then look down at the tea kettle she was holding in her hand. An uncomfortable silence fell in the kitchen. Ginny had never considered that Catarina’s bond was what Nathan had referred to when he said some bonds are not true love matches. Ginny wondered how she would feel if she was bonded to someone she wasn’t sure she would love for all time. Making the decision to do this had been so much easier because it was with Harry.


“The man I bonded with doesn’t exist anymore,” Catarina said quietly, replacing the tea kettle on the stove. Without looking back, Catarina crossed to the door and opened it. The screen slammed shut behind her as she walked down the front steps and across the garden.


“She’ll be fine,” Nathan said.


“Are you sure?” Ginny asked, anger creeping into her voice.


“Ginny, her bond was not one like yours,” Nathan explained.


“I gathered that,” Ginny said coldly.


“My mother has had to deal with that since she bonded. She will never forgive herself for what her bond forced her to do. It is one reason she is so particular about you learning to maintain autonomy in yours,” Nathan said. “It is her way of paying back some of what she believes she owes. It allows her to sleep at night.”


Ginny’s eyes widened. Exactly what had Catarina done because of her bond?


“The opportunity to teach you, Ginny,” Nathan said quietly, standing up, “has given her peace. Thank you.”


Ginny nodded, her brow furrowed.


“On that note, I need to go locate your young man. I am looking forward to seeing if some time off has brought him down anywhere near my level of dueling. If not,” Borgin teased, “I hope you packed your collection of remedies. I have a feeling, I may need them.”


Ginny smiled, as Borgin opened the screen door.


+++++


Catarina stood with her arms crossed across her chest looking out at the valley. Nathan walked up behind her and placed a hand on her shoulder. Catarina lifted one of her hands and patted his hand. Looking over her shoulder, she smiled tentatively at him.


“It’s alright, Nathan,” she assured him. “I am quickly coming to the conclusion I am going to have to tell them sooner or later. The more I get to know them, the more I like them. They are bright and powerful and have the right to know.”


Nathan smiled and nodded. “I know what you mean.”


“So,” Catarina said, turning around and leaning against the stone wall. “Can you remember the spell.”


“I can. Are you going to tell me why?” Nathan asked.


“Because it sounds like something your father worked on.”


“It was.”


“Ah,” Catarina nodded slowly, holding up her hand to shield her eyes from the morning sun. “I do not want to muck this up by missing something.”


“I can understand that,” Nathan said. “I’ll jot it down. Where is your office?”


“Off the sitting room,” she replied, dropping her hand and smiling at him. “Thank you for coming, Nathan.”


Nathan leaned over to give her a second kiss on the cheek. “You’re welcome, Mother.”


“Professor Borgin?” Harry called from across the garden, swiping the sleeve of his shirt across his sweaty face.


“Harry, I’m pretty sure you can call me Nathan.”


Harry squinted at Nathan as he approached and nodded. “Alright, Nathan, what are you doing here?”


“He came for breakfast,” Ginny called from the porch, smiling.


“And to check up on you,” Nathan said, waving at Ginny. “I told you I was going to get into the dueling rotation. I swapped Tonks her day. She’ll be here later this week.”


Harry snorted. “Whatever happened to a holiday?”


“Holiday?” Nathan asked skeptically. “Who told you this was a holiday? You’ve got work to do.” Nathan clapped Harry on his shoulder. “Follow me, Harry. Let’s see how rusty I really am.”


Nathan steered Harry toward the back garden while Catarina pushed off the stone wall and turned back to the house. Ginny was standing on the front porch. Catarina smiled at her.


“Ginny, let’s get started.”


+++++


Harry stood on the rug just inside Catarina’s office. The first thought that had crossed his mind when he had opened the doors and stepped inside was how much Hermione would love this room. Seeing Nathan leaning over the desk, jotting something down, made him chuckle. Nathan looked very much at home in here, too.


“Back for more, Harry?”


Harry grinned. “No, I don’t think so. I won’t be responsible for Dumbledore needing to hire a new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor this year.”


Nathan chuckled. “Did you need something?”


“Well,” Harry said, a little embarrassed. “I need to replace Ginny’s birthday present.”


“Replace?” Nathan asked, straightening up.


“Yeah,” Harry answered. “I had been collecting spells and such for Ginny to memorize. The Ministry wouldn’t let her join in the dueling practices this summer claiming she’s too young. They didn’t say anything about her reading or memorizing spells, though, so…I had been collecting spells for her to learn since I got to the Burrow. Unfortunately, when I packed to come here, I forgot about them. I don’t know how long we’ll be here, but her birthday’s next week and I want to be able to give her something…” Harry’s voice trailed off.


“So you thought you would see if you could find something in here?” Nathan nodded, moving around to the front of the desk and resting his hip on it. “You know, Harry, I am not sure my mother is going to have a whole lot spell books that will help you. However, I remember, she had some interesting ones on practical magic,” he said standing up. Walking to the bookshelves, he scanned several shelves and pulled out a few volumes. Harry watched as he flipped through one in particular and slipped it back into its slot, leaving it sticking out just a touch. Nathan turned and smiled at Harry. “Well, good luck, Harry,” he said, patting Harry on the shoulder before opening the French doors to leave. “I’m sure Ginny will love the books and anything else you manage to find.”


Harry watched Borgin shut the doors before walking to the shelf and pulling out the book Borgin had left sticking out. Flipping through it, he noticed a torn piece of parchment tucked in a particular chapter. He read the title and frowned. Then, he read the title again and looked out the French doors to see if Nathan was watching, which he wasn’t. Reading the title a third time, Harry grinned. Closing the book, Harry placed it on the corner of the desk and went back to scanning the shelves, curious to find out exactly what Catarina had on her bookshelves.


As he walked around the room, he read the titles, chuckling at some, rolling his eyes at others. Catarina Borgin had an eclectic taste in books. Pulling one out, he almost dropped it in surprise. A muscle bound long haired blond bloke held a half-dressed swooning damsel whose chest looked like it was going to explode from the top of her dress. Blinking at the scantily clad couple several times, Harry felt his cheeks grown warm. Gingerly holding the edges of the book with his fingertips, Harry slid it back into its slot and moved on.


The next shelf down held books which Harry bet Nathan had copies of in his study, too. Ancient Magic “ the Truth on the Walls. Blood “ How to Go with the Flow. The Force is Within You “ The Ancient Practice of Protecting the Ones you Love. Curious, Harry pulled the last book out. He held it in his hands for a moment, studying the gold script writing on the front.


“Harry!”


Harry looked up at the sound of Ginny’s voice.


“Harry, where are you?”


Picking up the book he had laid on the corner of the desk, Harry tucked both books under his arm and opened the French doors.


++++


“Alright, I would like to try something. It’s rather early in the process, but I just have this feeling…” Catarina said, as she walked around Harry and Ginny. “Yes, well, sit down and face each other.”


Harry and Ginny did as instructed, crossing their legs, their knees touching. Ginny smiled encouragingly at Harry, who grinned back. The afternoon sun warmed their shoulders, the shadows striping the lawn.


“Now, place your hands palms together…yes, like that.”


Harry looked at Ginny and winked. Ginny bit her bottom lip to stop the giggle that threatened to escape.


“Now, close your eyes. Close your eyes, Harry! Yes, there,” Catarina continued, pacing around the pair. Kneeling down, so she was at eye level with their hands, she leaned toward them. “Ginny, I want you to concentrate on your joined hands. Ginny, you’re not concentrating,” she admonished as she saw Ginny’s cheek dimple.


“Sorry, Catarina,” Ginny said, straightening her face and swallowing.


“Concentrate, Ginny. The purpose of this is to see if you can connect with Harry. Blood Bonding is about connecting through touch. You need to be able to sense Harry’s blood flow through his touch.”


Harry snorted.


Catarina sighed. “Harry, you too. You must concentrate on letting Ginny connect with you. Now, take a deep breath and try again.”


Ginny and Harry breathed in and exhaled. Ginny tried to control the giggle escaping but couldn’t. Harry opened one of his eyes and grinned at Ginny trying so hard to control herself. Unfortunately, he found her giggles contagious and was soon chortling, too.


Catarina stood up. “Oh, forget it! You two are hopeless,” she said throwing her hands up in the air in frustration. “Go! Go away. Come back when you are prepared to work!”


Scrambling up, Harry and Ginny grinned at each other. Ginny, her eyes filled with mirth, tried to smile apologetically at Catarina and failed miserably, falling into another fit of giggles.


“Be back for dinner,” Catarina admonished, shaking her head at them. She watched them join hands and run past the stone wall, a trail of laughter in their wake.


“How are they doing?” Nathan asked from the front porch.


Catarina turned and smiled at him. “They are doing very well, very well indeed.”


+++++


“Do you get the feeling this is our place?” Ginny asked, as she lay back on the patch of grass they had visited yesterday.


“A side of a hill?” Harry asked skeptically. “For some reason, I had been hoping it would be somewhat more…exciting. Live a cave or a clearing in a forest.”


Ginny snorted. “I’ve seen enough forest clearings for a lifetime, thank you very much.”


“Oh, right,” Harry said, lying down next to her. “Sorry.”


Ginny rolled over on her side and propped her head up with her elbow. “Catarina said something interesting today over breakfast. We were talking about what I wanted to do with my life after Hogwarts.”


“What did you say?”


“I am going to have you wait on me hand and foot, catering to my every whim and desire,” she answered sarcastically. “No, I said I was thinking about becoming a curse breaker. Anyway, I started to ask her about when she bonded with her husband, if her life had changed much, and she told me she didn’t bond with her husband.”


“That makes sense,” Harry said, his eyes closed by the warm sun.


“What do you mean?” Ginny asked.


Propping himself up on his elbows, Harry opened his eyes. “Well, I said it before. It sounded strange that someone like her would be bonded to someone who was so focused on death. Who did she bond with?”


“I don’t know,” Ginny answered. “But Nathan said it wasn’t something she was proud of and she has been paying for it ever since.”


Harry thought about that for a moment. “Did she say if she was still bonded?”


“No,” Ginny said slowly. “But a bond is only broken through death. She said he doesn’t exist anymore. Maybe she meant the wizard she bonded with is dead now.”


Harry turned his head so he could see Catarina’s cottage, a plume of smoke rising from the chimney. He wanted to believe in Catarina and her son. His gut instinct told him they were good people. But it was hard to squelch the nagging questions in his mind.


“We should get back,” Ginny said.


Harry nodded. “I’ll ask Nathan.” Standing up, he brushed the grass off his jeans and reached out a hand to help Ginny up. Hand in hand, they started back to the cottage.


++++


Picking up a half empty mug of cold tea, Catarina slipped her hand under Chehalis’ stomach and lifted the cat off the desk. Startled, the cat scratched her hand, pushing off of Catarina’s stomach and leaping to the ground. Catarina lost her grip on her mug, cold tea splashing on her notes.


“Ahh!” Catarina exclaimed, shaking her hand from pain. “Damn cat!” she swore, as she pulled a hanky from her pocket and dabbed at the pooling tea. “Ow!” she exclaimed, as the tea and ink mixed with the blood beading up from the scratch at the base of her hand. Standing up, she sucked on the cut, mesmerized by the mixing of blue and black and red on the parchment. The mixing of blood. Reaching over, Catarina picked up the parchment Nathan had left folded on top of her desk. Unfolding it, she read the spell. She read it again.


Blood of the enemy and Blood of the enemy’s heart…


Catarina’s eyes widened. She whipped around to watch Harry and Ginny walking across the garden. Her breathing fast and hard, her mind raced, frantically denying her deduction. But she knew. It had to be. And that meant it was worse than she had imagined. Damn it. Damn it!


“Damn you,” she shouted to the ceiling, blinking back the tears. “Damn you!” she whispered, collapsing into her chair, her head in her hands.



++++


“Hey,” Ginny whispered, placing a kiss on the top of Harry’s head and she walked around the couch.


“Hey, yourself,” Harry replied, scooting over on the sofa and lifting up the quilt. Ginny crawled in next to him, propping her head up with her hand.


“What are you reading?”


Harry flipped the book over to show her the title.


The Force is Within You “ The Ancient Practice of Protecting the Ones you Love.,” Ginny read. “Homework?”


“No, not really,” Harry said, closing it and setting it on top of the back couch cushions. “Catarina said I could borrow something to read from her library.”


“Why this one?”


“All of this blood bonding got me thinking about my mother,” Harry said quietly, rubbing his forehead. “Dumbledore told me my mother’s love saved me from Voldemort when I was a baby. He said it was an old form of magic, ancient magic. I just thought maybe I could find out more about it.”


“What have you found out?”


“That two pages are about all I can read before I nod off. But those two pages are interesting. Just don’t tell Hermione I’m reading something like this on holiday. She’d never let me live it down!”


Ginny giggled as she lay her head on Harry’s shoulder. “Harry, did you think Catarina was acting funny at dinner?”


“Uh, well, she seemed a little tense, I guess. Why?”


“She seemed distracted, like she had lots on her mind.”


“Maybe she’s just concerned about the training,” Harry suggested.


“Yeah, maybe,” Ginny said unconvinced. “I just hope I didn’t offend her this morning.”


“She didn’t seem offended all day, Gin. I’d say, if she’s still off tomorrow, ask her what’s wrong.”


Ginny smiled at Harry and stretched up to brush her lips against his. “You’re a smart man,” she said.


Harry snorted. Ginny was tracing circles on his chest sending him into a state of relaxation that was making it impossible for him to muster the energy to form a coherent word. Ginny listened to his heart beat slow and his breathing become deep and even before slipping out from under the quilt and returning to her own bed.


++++


Catarina paced her bedroom waiting for the house to fall asleep. She had done her best to keep a calm façade during dinner, but she had seen Ginny looking at her strangely. That was the problem with Mediators, she mused, we’re a little too observant for our own good. Stopping to listen, she held her breath. A faint snoring could be heard from the living room. Straightening her shoulders, she cinched the ties of her bathrobe tighter and quietly made her way downstairs and through the kitchen.


Softly closing the screen door behind her, she nudged Nathan who had fallen asleep in the rocker.


“Huh “ wha?” Nathan mumbled, as he sat up. “Mo - Mother, what time is it? Is something wrong?”


“Nathan, we need Dumbledore,” Catarina whispered urgently.


Nathan took one look at his mother’s face and nodded. He remembered seeing her eyes filled with the same fear and anger growing up. It was not an expression to take lightly. Leaning over the arm of the rocker, he retrieved his wand from the floor. Standing up, he walked to the edge of the porch and held his wand up to the night sky. Catarina paced behind him, her hands clenched at her side. Seconds later, the Headmaster of Hogwarts appeared at the bottom of her porch steps.


“Good evening, Nathan,” Dumbledore said mildly. “Catarina.”


Nathan had never seen the Headmaster in his robe and pajamas before. For some reason, he supposed, he had always assumed Dumbledore too far above basic human needs such as sleep. But as the Headmaster climbed the steps, Nathan noticed the light flannel robe Dumbledore wore was embroidered with various celestial bodies all wearing kerchiefs and snoring.


“What may I do for you this evening?”



Catarina stopped pacing and took a deep breath to steady her nerves. “Albus,” she said clearly but quietly. “I read the immortality spell that Lucius Malfoy attempted to perform.”


Dumbledore nodded.


“Do you know what this means?”


“I suspected.”


Nathan stood staring at them, his brow furrowed, his mind racing. His eyes traveled to his mother’s hands. As a child, he had often witnessed his mother rubbing the fleshy part of her palm, right below her thumb, when she was stressed. He hadn’t thought much about it then, but watching her fingers press into the scar that marred her hand, he suddenly felt nauseous.


“What do we do?” she whispered.


“When will Ginny be ready?” Dumbledore asked.


“Albus, you know this process takes time”


“We don’t have time, Catarina,” the Headmaster replied.


Catarina blinked the tears forming at the corners of her eyes away. “A week, maybe,” she said quietly. “More likely two. But only for the bonding. The rest will have to come later. She won’t be strong enough. If we push her too quickly, she could damage herself - and Harry.”


Dumbledore nodded. “Two weeks, then.” Turning around, Dumbledore was gone.


Nathan and Catarina looked at one another, their eyes mirroring the fear that flowed through each of them. Tears coursing freely down her cheeks, Catarina took a step toward her son who enveloped her in his arms. Resting his cheek on the side of his mother’s head, Nathan gazed into the window of the kitchen, his eyes resting on the back of the overstuffed, olive green sofa.



++++


A/N “ I had this bizarre weekend “ Saturday night I ate dinner with friends at this great Mexican grill in Chicago at a table next to Dustin Hoffman. This, however, couldn’t even come close to meeting Jeff, the purple Wiggle, at the Wiggles concert Sunday in Everett, Washington. I just have to say, The Wiggles ROCK!

As always thanks to my family for indulging me and my hobby.

Thanks to wvchemteach for the ideas and input.

Next Chapter…Ginny’s Birthday (It's in the queue, but so are many other fascinating tales so keep checking back. I'm sure it will be posted as soon as possible.)
Apparations by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.





Apparations





Stewart patted his jacket. He pulled his trouser pockets inside out. He turned around in a circle, searching the ground.


“Merlin’s beard!” he exclaimed, frustrated.


Leaning over to pick up the two cauldrons full of parcels he had set on the curb, Stewart scrunched his eyes shut and searched his mind. He knew he had one more errand to run, but for the life of him, he couldn’t remember what it was. He had even written them down before leaving the shop so he would be sure to remember everything. But now, the list was lost. Furrowing his brow, he mentally ticked off the tasks he had completed.


He had picked up the new catalogues from Whizzhard Books.


He wasn’t about to ask what was in the parcel he had been handed at Eeylops Owl Emporium.


He had bought the new ink at the Scribbulus Everchanging Inks.


And obviously, he had remembered the two new cauldrons.


Stewart sighed and opened his eyes. Maybe he dropped it when he stopped for an ice cream? No, he had been back to Florean Fortescue’s Ice Cream Parlor twice and no one had seen it.


Shoulders slumped in defeat, Stewart picked up the cauldrons and headed toward number 93 Diagon Alley, Weasley Wizarding Wheezes. Setting one of the cauldrons down, he grasped the door handle and pushed the door open. As a blizzard of snowflakes blasted him with cool air, he heard Fred’s voice shout from the storeroom:


“Siren’s Silencing Smoke Powder?”


Stewart stopped, dropping his head to his chest. “Right!” he said to the floor. “Be right back!” he called to the storeroom before entering the August heat once more.


Lucius Malfoy stood across the street and watched as the twins’ shop clerk headed toward the apothecary’s. He pulled a piece of parchment from his pocket and smirked. The errand list on the outside meant little. The information inside, though, was going to mean a great deal to the right person.



++++



In her entire life, Ginny couldn’t ever remember feeling more emotionally or physically drained. Every part of her screamed for relief. Her mind was numb, her body ached and she desperately wanted to go to sleep. Sitting at the table, her head slowly lowered over her dinner plate as her eyes drooped. The scrape of Catarina’s chair as she stood jerked Ginny out of her stupor. Sitting up straight, Ginny blinked several times trying to bring her plate into focus. Realizing it was a lost cause, she set her fork down and pushed her plate away.


“You okay, Gin?” Harry asked concerned.


“Yeah. I’m just tired,” she admitted.


Standing at the sink, Catarina looked over her shoulder. Nathan had returned to London several days ago. Other Order members had come and gone, keeping Harry busy with dueling practice and checking up on Ginny’s progress. This morning, Tonks had winked at Ginny and mentioned she might be expecting a surprise for her birthday in a couple of days. Ginny had responded with a smile and an exhausted nod. Catarina knew she was pushing Ginny, but she had no choice.


“You two, why don’t you go sit on the porch for a bit? I’ll do the dishes,” she offered.


Ginny smiled gratefully at her and stood up. Harry pushed back his chair and picked up his and Ginny’s plates and took them to the sink.


“I’ll meet you out there,” he said to Ginny as she opened the screen door.


Stepping into the night air, Ginny closed her eyes and took a deep breath. The smells of summer mingled with the dinner aromas that had floated out into the night. Opening her eyes, Ginny moved to the top porch step and sat down, leaning her shoulder against the railing, thinking about the past few days.


As Catarina had promised, the first part of Ginny’s training centered on her. Ginny had spent hours focusing on her heartbeat, learning its rhythm, concentrating on its power. She learned how it raced when Harry was near and how she could calm it even in his presence. Catarina poked and pushed her consciousness teaching her how to protect herself. Ginny had begun to truly appreciate Harry’s Occlumency struggles and abilities. And just when she was truly comfortable with her own abilities to protect herself, Catarina began teaching her how to open up, only on her terms and then only to Harry. Out of curiosity, Ginny had asked what would happen if she tried to do this with someone besides Harry. Catarina simply told her that would never happen and refused to say anymore.


The bonding itself was similar to weaving a tapestry of life. Ginny’s mind was aching from the struggle to focus on the ribbons of her blood that she would weave into, around and about Harry. It taken hours for her to get past her self-consciousness as she sat in the sitting room, eyes closed, pleading with her mind to see what Catarina promised was there. When Ginny had thrown her hands up in frustration and screamed, Catarina smiled and told her to try again. Ginny had scowled at her mentor, closed her eyes and exhaled. Almost immediately, as if she had opened a flood gate, colors began to dance in front of her eyes. Ginny had fallen back in surprise, blinking in awe at Catarina who had laughed and clapped her hands together before making Ginny do it again. At first, the colors melded together as if they were a child’s finger painting. Then, slowly, they began to form lines. They were weak, translucent and broke easily. But, much to her surprise and delight, the more Ginny focused, the stronger, more resilient they became. Now, Ginny could feel the ties all the time, waving and blowing, searching for their ends.


Ginny’s eyes fluttered shut again, the rainbow of color that was never far from her mind floating before her. Seconds later, Harry sat down next to her, the screen door slamming behind him.


“Harry!” Catarina admonished from inside.


“Sorry, Catarina!” Harry grinned. Putting his arm around Ginny’s shoulder, he pulled her to lean against him, instead of the wooden rail. Sighing, Ginny relaxed against his warmth.


“Hey, Gin?”


“Mmmmm?”


“I’m really proud of you,” Harry said softly, placing a kiss on the top of her head.


“Thanks,” Ginny said, her eyes beginning close.


“I have something for you,” Harry said, reaching behind him.


Ginny sat up, let out a yawn and blinked in confusion. “Why?”


“Well,” Harry said, smiling at Ginny’s fuzziness. “Your birthday is coming up.”


“Harry, you didn’t need to get me anything!”


“Yeah, well,” Harry said, “it’s a good thing you feel that way because I left your present at the Burrow.”


Ginny smiled sleepily through the headache that was beginning to form across her forehead from lack of sleep.


“But I wanted you to know I didn’t forget it.” His cheeks growing warm, Harry cleared his throat. “And you’ve been working so hard this week. So - here. This is just until we get back and I can give you the rest.”


Harry held out a brown wrapped rectangular parcel. Ginny bit her bottom lip and took it from him. She held it for a minute, her sleep clouded brain trying to get a handle on what Harry was wanting her to do with it.


“It’s okay to open it, Ginny,” Harry urged.


“Right,” Ginny said, turning it over and slipping her fingers under the edge of the paper. Tearing the wrapping off, Ginny gazed down at one of the books Harry had borrowed from Catarina’s office, Practical Magic for Practical Witches and Wizards “ A Guide to Homeschooling the Basics. Ginny looked up at Harry confused, not sure if she should laugh or cry.


“Open it to the bookmark,” Harry urged.


Ginny opened the book to the marked page and read the title. She read the title again and furrowed her brow. Placing her finger on the chapter title, she underlined it as she read it a third time.


Apparation for the Legal Aged Witch or Wizard “ A ‘How To’ Guide. Harry, I’m not of legal age. Even on my birthday I won’t be of legal age,” Ginny said.


“I know,” Harry said. “But I asked Nathan about the wards around Catarina’s cottage. He said these wards are special. One of their features is they shield underage magic from the Ministry’s eyes. Haven’t you noticed how you’ve been able to do the charms Catarina has asked and no owls have arrived telling you, you’re not allowed?” Harry asked grinning.


Ginny blinked at him several times and nodded slowly. “So, you’re going to teach me how to Apparate?”


“Well, if you want,” Harry said, a little put off by Ginny’s lack of enthusiasm.


As Ginny let Harry’s words soak in, a smile began to spread over her features. She repeated, “You’re going to teach me how to Apparate!” Giggling, Ginny launched herself at Harry and hugged him tight.


“I take it you like the idea?”


“I love it!” Ginny said, placing an enthusiastic kiss on his cheek. “I love it! I love you!”


“I love you, too, Ginny,” Harry said, his heart light as a feather. “Happy Birthday.”



++++



Lucius stood in front of his master’s desk, his hands resting lightly on top of his ivory handled cane. As he had dressed for this meeting, he thought his good mood called for such a show of status. Now, watching his master peer over a passage in the slim volume he had pilfered from Nathan Borgin’s desk the previous week, he was glad he had something to keep him in his place. The Dark Lord never used to make him nervous. But then, in better times, Lucius reflected, he had always known where he stood with Lord Voldemort. These days, he wasn’t so sure.


“Blood Bonding,” Voldemort hissed, looking up from the book. “Lucius, do you know what a Blood Bonding is?”


“I have read the passage, My Lord,” Lucius answered.


“This passage does not do Blood Bonding justice,” Voldmort sneered. Flipping the book over, the Dark Lord ran his unnaturally long fingers down the spine before placing it next to the piece of parchment Lucius had also given him. The parchment was a letter from a son to a mother; more specifically, a plea for help from Nathan Borgin to his mother Catarina. The bone chilling sound that came from Voldemort’s throat took a few minutes to register with Lucius. The Dark Lord was laughing.


“Lucius, you have done well this time,” Voldemort hissed. “Very well.”



++++++




Ginny sat on a rock facing Harry, trying her best not to smile. Harry was pacing back and forth in front of her, explaining to her the basic steps of Apparating. She loved that Harry became so enthusiastic about teaching things like this. She could see it in his eyes. He wanted her to learn what he knew, but more importantly, he wanted her to succeed. It was very intoxicating to watch.


A good night’s sleep had restored her spirits and brain power to normal levels. After a morning of meditation type work with Catarina, she and Harry had been sent off with a picnic lunch for an hour while Catarina popped to the shops. Ginny reached down for a sandwich and glanced back at the cottage. Lupin sat in the rocking chair, his feet propped up on the railing, a plate in his lap. Ginny gave him a little wave. Lupin waved back.


“Ginny! Are you listening at all to what I’ve just said?”


Startled, Ginny jumped and turned her attention back to Harry. “Yes, I’m listening,” she said, taking a bit of sandwich and winking at him.


“Repeat what I just said.”


“Apparating is serious business.”


“Lucky guess.”


Ginny grinned at him and took another bite. Over the course of watching her six older brothers learn to Apparate, Ginny had pretty much picked up the book details. It was the practical part she was glad to have Harry here for.


“So, any questions?” Harry asked.


Ginny shook her head. “No, but I think we should wait until Lupin goes inside. I don’t want to get Professor Borgin in trouble for suggesting this.”


Harry shrugged his shoulders and leaned against the rock Ginny was perched on, grabbing a sandwich from the basket at her feet.


“You knew all of that, didn’t you?” he asked before taking a bite.


“No “ well, not all of it,” Ginny answered, covering the smile that threatened to escape behind her napkin.


“You are an awful liar, Ginny.”


Ginny placed her hand on Harry’s shoulder and rested her chin on it. “Harry, I may have known some of the book parts, but it’s the practical part you can teach me. And look - Lupin has just gone inside.”


Pushing off the rock, Ginny brushed off her shorts and stood in front of Harry. “Okay, what do I do?”


“Concentrate and take it one step at a time.”



++++



Afternoon sun cast rainbows across the floor in Catarina’s study. Upon returning from her shopping, Catarina had sent Harry off with Lupin and led Ginny into her sanctuary. Motioning for Ginny to take a seat, Catarina walked to the bookshelves and carefully removed the rosewood box from its spot, polishing the top with her sleeve. Carrying it to her desk, she set it down in front of Ginny who looked at her expectantly.


”Ginny, this was my mother’s. She passed it onto me. I am now passing it onto you. It is now yours to pass onto your daughter or your apprentice when the time comes.”


Reaching behind her neck, Catarina undid the clasp of the silver chain she wore. Pulling it around to her front, Catarina picked up Ginny’s hand, turned it palm up, and dropped the chain into it. As she studied it, Ginny could feel the warmth of the chain against her skin. It was simple yet sturdy, made of interlinked polished ovals. In the middle, a small silver key hung. Picking up the key, Ginny looked questioningly at Catarina who nodded.


Ginny leaned forward and inserted the key into the lock. She turned it and the lock clicked, releasing the lid. Ginny gently lifted it and looked inside. Nestled in lush green velvet was a small dagger. It was as solid and simple as the chain and key. Even polished, Ginny knew this blade would never sparkle. While an heirloom and treasure, this was a utilitarian tool designed for one purpose.


“This is the blade,” Ginny said respectfully.


“This is the blade,” Catarina affirmed, nodding.


“Where did it come from?”


“Blades are made to suit the Mediator,” Catarina explained, running her fingers along the hilt of the dagger. “My grandfather crafted this for my grandmother before they were bonded. Most Mediators in a family tend to have similar characteristics, so often times the blades are handed down generation to generation. My mother used this one, as well.”


“Did you?” Ginny asked hesitantly.


“No, I did not,” Catarina replied, folding her arms over her chest. “But it would please me very much if you would consider using it in yours.”


Ginny held Catarina’s gaze. She could read the hesitation in her mentor’s eyes and knew Catarina was not ready yet to share any more about her bond. Respecting that, Ginny nodded.


“It would be an honor,” she answered softly.



++++



Ginny’s eyes kept traveling from her notes to the rosewood box sitting on the small writing desk in her bedroom. The gift of something so steeped in history awed her. Her heart strings pulled a little thinking how Catarina never had a daughter she could bequeath the blade to. Catarina trusted her to continue on her family’s magical history, and Ginny hoped she would not let her down. Tucking her feet beneath her, Ginny redirected her gaze to her notes and attempted to read the same line she had read three times already, again.


“Hey, Gin?” Harry asked, pushing the door open and looking into the room.


“Hi,” Ginny replied, closing her notes with a relieved smile.


“What are you doing?” Harry asked, sitting down beside her on the bed and looking over her shoulder.


“Trying to read, but miserably failing,” she admitted.


“Too tired?”


“No, I’m fine. I just keep looking at this. Here,” she said, handing her notes to Harry. Stretching her arm out, Ginny reached for the rosewood box and brought it back to her lap. Pulling the silver chain out from under her shirt, Ginny unlocked the box with the key and lifted the lid.


Harry leaned over to take a closer look. “Is that what I think it is?” Harry asked.


“Uh “ huh,” Ginny answered. “It was Catarina’s grandmother’s. I’m to pass it onto my daughter, if “ if she’s a Mediator,” Ginny finished, blushing.


Harry snorted. “Remind me to threaten whoever bonds with our daughter that I’ll be cutting his palm if he’s not careful.”


“Harry!” Ginny said slapping him in the stomach.


Harry’s laugh faded as he thought about what Ginny said. “Seriously, Gin, would you want your daughter to go through this?”


“With the right person, I think this is an amazing gift to give someone,” Ginny answered honestly, picking up her notes again. “With the wrong person, I can’t even imagine.”


“See, I told you, you are a lucky girl,” Harry answered, leaning back on the bed, his hands behind his head.


Ginny looked at him over the top of her notes. “You know, Harry, as you have pointed out, these wards that protect us, allow me to perform magic with no repercussions…”


Harry opened his mouth to reply but closed it again when the screen door slammed shut.


“Ronald! Gently!”


Ginny looked questioningly at Harry. “Hermione?”


Harry shrugged.


“What? My hands are full!”


Ginny pushed herself off the bed and stuck her head out the door. “Ron? Hermione?”


“Oh! Ginny,” Hermione exclaimed, launching herself toward her friend. “Happy birthday!”


“Yeah, happy birthday, Gin,” Ron smiled, coming up behind.


“What are you two doing here?” Ginny asked as Hermione released her.


“We wanted to be here to celebrate your birthday,” Hermione replied.


“Really!” Ginny answered enthusiastically, looking at Ron who had his hands in his pockets, his eyes focused on the edge of the kitchen table where Ginny had laid her notes. “Did anyone come with you?”


“Bill and Professor Borgin. They’re outside talking to Catarina. Where’s Harry?” Hermione asked.


“I’m here,” Harry said, having come out of Ginny’s room to stand at the far end of the table.


“Harry!” Hermione took a step toward him, but stopped when Ron placed a hand on her arm and cleared his throat.


“Harry, Ginny,” Ron started, and paused.


Ginny stepped over to Ron and smiled up at him, before hugging him tightly. “It’s alright, Ron,” Ginny murmured into his shirt. Ron stood still for a minute, surprised and yet not surprised by the easy way his sister forgave him, then wrapped his arms around her and squeezed tight. Releasing her, he turned to Harry.


“Harry, I’m ““


“You’re here because you thought I might need some dueling practice?” Harry interrupted.


Ron grinned gratefully. “Yeah,” he said, “I didn’t want you getting rusty.”


“Thanks,” Harry grinned.


“No,” Ron said quietly, “thank you.”


“Come on,” Harry said, slapping Ron on the shoulder. Nodding his head toward Hermione who was already drilling Ginny on her notes, he steered Ron toward the front porch. “I’ll give you a tour.”


“Right behind you, mate,” Ron said, following Harry out the door.



++++



Catarina’s kitchen bustled with good humor the morning of August 11th. The previous evening, Catarina had been on a mission to make sure Ginny’s birthday was celebrated in a style befitting her apprentice. During dinner, Nathan had leaned over to Harry and whispered something regarding Ginny being a good sport about letting his mother treat her like the daughter she never had, and Harry had grinned. He knew Ginny missed her brothers and parents, and he was pleased to see Catarina was trying her best to make it as special as possible.


Harry hadn’t realized there was a root cellar under the cottage until Catarina had sent him and Ron down there multiple times last night for odds and ends to make the day festive. A brightly colored table cloth now hid the scarred wooden kitchen table, cardboard hats sat at each place, and colored lanterns were strung across the ceiling. Ginny sat down at the place of honor and put on her pink cardboard bonnet.


“Come on, Bill, you’ll look smashing in this one,” Catarina claimed, plopping his purple crown on top of his head.


Ron snorted as the paper hat slid over Bill’s eyes.


“I wouldn’t laugh too loudly, Ron,” Catarina commented as she lifted Ron’s hat onto his head.


Bill lifted his hat over his eye lids and grinned at his little brother. Catarina had given Ron a Jester’s hat, a small jingle bell dangling from each cardboard corner.


Harry picked up his black top hat, and placed it on his head. “What do you think?” he asked Ginny.


“You look dashing,” she said, leaning over to give him a smiling kiss.


“Not at the breakfast table!” Bill said, throwing his napkin in their direction.


Ginny giggled as Harry picked up the napkin and held it in front of them as a curtain, blocking him and Ginny from view.


“Here, Hermione, put this on,” Ron said, handing over a pale pink cone hat a princess would wear.


“Just call me Cinderella,” Hermione smiled.


“Cinde “ who?” Ron asked puzzled.


Tossing the napkin back to Bill, Harry snorted. “I am not calling him Prince Charming.”


“No, but I will,” Hermione said, leaning over to kiss Ron on the cheek.


“I think I’m going to be sick,” Bill said. “Nathan, save me!”


Nathan sat down next to Bill and grinned. On his head was perched a black cardboard constable’s hat. “Unfortunately, Bill, this hat gives me no authority over teenagers in love. It merely guarantees me a seat at the breakfast table.”


“I knew I should have made mum come along!” Bill shook his head in mock dejection. “Catarina?” he said hopefully.


“Don’t look at me,” Catarina said, winking at Ginny. “You forget that it serves my purposes to have lots of love in the house.”


Bill groaned and then joined in the laughter, reaching for a plate of bacon and passing it to his left.



+++



“Argh!” Ginny growled. Flopping down on the ground, Ginny clenched her hands in her hair in frustration. “It’s my birthday! That should mean this would work!” she complained to her knees. “I’m never going to get this.”


“Yes, you will,” Harry assured her, sitting down next to her.


Letting her hair go, Ginny looked desperately up at Harry. “How can you be sure? So far, I’ve managed to Apparate to the same spot I was standing in and no further. Pop! I’m gone. Pop! I’m right back where I was. No movement. Not even a centimeter.”


“You’ll get this. You’ve just got a lot on your mind right now and you’ve only been practicing a couple of days.”


“Harry! I don’t know. Maybe I just can’t.”


“No, Ginny, you can do this. You just need to concentrate.”


“I am concentrating,” Ginny ground out.


“Okay, okay. Here, hold my hands.” Harry stood up, brushing the grass off his jeans and held out his hands to pull Ginny up.


“What?”


“Hold my hands. It’s what Catarina has us doing. It might help you focus.”


Ginny wrinkled her nose at Harry, but grabbed his hands and let him pull her up. Compared to the Blood Bonding, this should be simple. But for some reason, Apparating wasn’t coming easily to her. Weaving her fingers into Harry’s, Ginny rested her forehead on Harry’s chest and closed her eyes.


“Right,” Harry commented. The fresh, clean scent of Ginny’s hair wafted up to him. Harry closed his eyes. Over the past few days, they had been working so hard, they had had little time together. Harry missed her. Harry smiled into her hair. Now, he realized, he was the one having problems concentrating. “Alright, take a breath and think of the tree on the far side of the porch.”


Ginny inhaled and focused. A perfect picture of the tree in full summer splendor appeared in her mind. She could see the wrinkles in the bark, the veins in the leaves. She felt the breeze blowing the smaller limbs and heard the beeping of a car horn.


Ginny’s eyes flew open. “Harry?” she squeaked.


Harry watched the blue hatchback turn the corner behind Ginny. A shadow flirted with the sun warming their shoulders. Looking up, Harry realized they were standing under a tree, the same kind of tree that was at the far side of the porch, but the porch was now where in sight.


“What happened?” Ginny whispered.


“I don’t know,” Harry answered, looking down the street at the rows of shops that lined each side. “We must be in town.”


“Oh, bloody hell!” Ginny said, tears welling up in her eyes. “It’s all my stupid fault!”


“Ginny! You don’t know that,” Harry argued, a little annoyed at Ginny’s whining.


Ginny gasped. “Harry, Catarina said the wards were in place within visual range of the cottage. We aren’t protected out here.”


“Oh, right,” Harry replied, thinking. “Look, let’s try it again. This time concentrate on the front porch of the cottage, alright?”


Ginny took a shaky breath and nodded. Closing her eyes again, she pictured the front porch, the three front steps, the pot of pink and white petunias by the front door, the pine green paint on the screen door.


“Ahhh!”


Ginny’s eyes flew open. They were standing on the porch in front of the screen door. Ron, standing on the other side of the door, looked like he had seen a ghost. Or two.


“Wha “ wh “ where did you two come “ did you just Apparate?” Ron sputtered.


Ginny let go of one of Harry’s hands and wiped off the tears that had escaped from her eyes. Smiling at Harry, she nodded.


“Yeah. Yeah, we did,” she said, giggling.



++++



“You Apparated into town?” Nathan clarified.


“Yeah,” Harry said.


“Huh,” Nathan commented, folding his arms across his chest as he leaned against the edge of Catarina’s desk. “Well, my guess is that when you joined hands, your powers magnified each other - in an odd way.”


“Odd way?” Ginny asked.


“Yes,” Nathan nodded. “I’m guessing that Harry’s mastery of Apparation fostered your growing abilities. You were probably both concentrating on your planned Apparation point. Had you fully mastered the ability, Ginny, there’s no telling what tree you would have ended up under.”


“What does that mean?” Ginny asked.


“Well, I would say that means, you shouldn’t hold hands while Apparating. Unless of course, you’re wishing to end up overseas,” Nathan chuckled.



++++



“So,” Ron asked, learning back against the porch railing, stretching his legs out in front of him. “What do you do for fun here in the evenings?”


“Ron!” Hermione admonished, looking apologetically at Catarina.


“That’s alright, Hermione,” Catarina smiled and patter her on the shoulder. “I fully realize my home is not the most exciting place for young people. What do you like to do, Ron?”


“Uh, well, I play a fair game of Wizards Chess,” Ron said hopefully.


“Really?” Catarina said. “I may still have an old set in the cellar. Would you like to go look for it?”


“Yeah!” Ron said enthusiastically.


“We’ll be right back then,” Catarina commented to Harry, Ginny and Hermione who were all on the porch reading.


Hermione watched Ron and Catarina walk around the corner of the cottage. Adjusting her position on the porch steps, she looked up at Harry and Ginny. When Ron had told her about Harry teaching Ginny how to Apparate, her first instinct was to give him a piece of her mind for doing something unlawful. Seeing her wind up, Ron had quickly commented that he was proud of Harry for being so concerned for Ginny’s safety. Hermione had stood there, her mouth opening and closing like a fish, until Ron had leaned forward and kissed her, completely throwing her off track. Now, watching her two friends, she realized deep down, she really thought Harry’s gesture rather romantic, but still illegal. Lost in her thoughts, it took a moment to register what Harry was doing.


“Harry? Are you reading?”


Harry looked up from his book. “Yes, Hermione, I can read.”


“Funny, Harry. What are you reading?” she asked curious.


The Force is Within You “ The Ancient Practice of Protecting the Ones you Love.


Hermione looked at him surprised. “Really?” Hermione stood up and moved over to look over Harry’s shoulder. “Why?”


Harry sighed. “Well, it caught my eye.”


“Is it good?”


Harry scooted to his side as Hermione eagerly planted herself next to him on the porch. His annoyance at being interrupted was quickly being replaced with amusement over Hermione enthusiasm.


“Yeah, actually,” he said. “It has me thinking about my mum.”


“Here, can I see?” Hermione asked as she reached over and took the book out of Harry’s hands. “Why do you say that?”


Harry looked at his empty hands and then up at Ginny who glanced over her notes and shrugged her shoulders.


“Dumbledore said the magic my mother invoked to protect me was old magic, blood magic, not seen in years. All this Blood Bonding business made me start thinking about where my mum would have learned about it,” Harry explained, an embarrassed flush creeping up his neck.


“Huh,” Hermione said, tracing her finger down the page. “It says here all children are bonded with their mothers due to the blood they share while the child is in the womb.”


Ginny set down her notes and leaned forward. “That makes it sound like the bond between a mother and child would have similar properties as a Mediated bond.”


“What do you mean?” Hermione asked.


“Well, the comfort, the balance, the ability to sooth and even heal and protect. A blood bond is unbreakable, much like the ties between a mother and child.”


Hermione nodded slowly. “I wonder if that was why she was able to protect you, Harry. In fact, I wonder if your mother knew that and was trying to figure out a way to protect your whole family…if that was the case, it might mean she probably had done some research.”


“I was thinking that, too,” Harry replied, grinning at Hermione’s expressions. Harry could tell she was a having a hard time deciding if she was shocked or impressed. “I thought I would check with Remus when I got back. Maybe he would know where mum might have left something like that.”


Hermione looked between Harry and Ginny. “I am very proud of both of you,” she said smiling widely.


Ginny flushed. Harry grinned and replied, “Thanks, Hermione. That means a lot.”



++++



Draco Malfoy tapped the toe of his polished shoe impatiently. He had passed his Apparation test over twenty minutes ago. All the Ministry had to do was record his name and hand him his license. How long could that take?


After the debacle at school the end of last term, Narcissa had insisted on sending Draco to Europe for the summer. He had spent two months touring the most famous magical catacombs in Europe. The part of him that had looked forward to being surrounded by living, breathing human beings again had long since been buried under the distaste for their inferiority and stupidity.


Passing his Apparation test was the last thing on his list of things to do before he could enjoy the remaining weeks before making his final journey to school on the Hogwarts Express. He had attempted to talk his parents into letting him Apparate to Hogsmeade to avoid the tedious train ride with all the other students. His mother, however, had told him as a Prefect, it was his duty to be an example to the new students.


Pointing his his wand at the rubbish bin sitting by the end of the desk, Malfoy knocked the bin over. Crumpled parchment tumbled out onto the floor. Malfoy’s lip curled as he watched the wads roll. He hadn’t even been able to talk his parents into buying him the newest showcased broom, The Lightening Rod, at Quality Quidditch Supply. His father had informed him that if he couldn’t win on the broom he had, why did he deserve a new one? His father knew nothing.


Leaning down, Malfoy scooped up one of the wads of parchment. Pointing his wand at it, he lit it on fire, watching the flames flicker as he dropped it onto the floor, leaving a scorch mark where it lay. Bending over again, he scooped up a larger wad. Realizing it was a sheet of parchment with a coversheet, he pulled them apart. Dropping the coversheet to the ground, Malfoy held up the other by the corner. He held his wand tip to the opposite corner. Glancing at it quickly, he noticed it was the beginning of a letter. The writer had obviously changed his or her mind about sending it because there was a big X crossing out the script. Draco opened his mouth to speak the charm that would light the paper on fire as his eyes focused on the first several lines…


Dear Ms. Weasley

It has come to the attention of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement that you illegally performed magic, namely an exercise of Apparation, at 4:06pm this afternoon….



Draco lowered his wand. Stooping down, he picked up the discarded parchment and turned it over. His lip curled in a malicious smile as he read the front.


That Lightening Rod was his. He was certain of it.



++++



Lucius propped his elbows on his desk and tented his hands. Tapping his fingertips together, he contemplated the letter in front of him. The Dark Lord wanted him to find the Borgin witch. According to Voldemort, her knowledge was worth more than he could imagine. What was it with this family and their knowledge? Lucius seethed as he remember how Nathan Borgin taunted him.


“The rubbish I teach is what did that to you…Think of what that kind of power could do in the right hands…”


Yes, he would give the Dark Lord the woman and her research. But now, he could do better. He could give Lord Voldemort Harry Potter and that little red headed Weasley chit, too. Leaning back in his chair, Lucius Malfoy gazed around his study. The power was returning to this room.


Standing up, Lucius leaned his palms against his desk. Throwing his head back, a cold heartless sound of evil joy emitted from his throat. Walking around his desk, he crossed to the fireplace, his reflection leering back at him from the gilded mirror above the mantle. Raising his hand to his cheek, Lucius felt the scars that marred his face.


She did this to me.


Lucius shook his head to clear it. He needed to tell his master.


She ruined me. She and Potter. They humiliated me.


His hands shaking, he returned to his desk and picked up the parchment. Folding it, he turned to the door.


They deserved to die.



He stopped in front of the fireplace. Almost involuntarily, his hands came together, crumpling the parchment between them.


You deserve to be the one to kill them.


The door to the study closed behind Lucius as the parchment became engulfed in flames.



+++++



A/N “ Thanks to my betas “ wvchemteach for his perseverance and patience and kissmegrint for her brilliant job on the next chapter and those forthcoming.



Speaking of the next chapter…well, it’s a doozy. Let’s leave it at that. And it's in the queue...
Revelations by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from any part of the Harry Potter world.



Revelations






“Harry! Wake up!”


“Mo maway!”


“No, Harry, I will not go away. You need to wake up. We need to go!”


Harry rolled over, throwing his arm across his eyes to block out the morning sun. “Where do we need to go?” he asked grumpily.


“Out!” Ginny replied, pulling the quilt down to his feet.


“No! Give that back! It’s cold!” Harry complained, reaching toward the disappearing layer of warmth.


“Harry, it’s August. It’s not cold. And we need to go find our place,” Ginny insisted, beginning to tug the pillow out from under his head.


“Since when did you become a morning person?” Harry grumbled, putting his feet on the ground and stretching his arms toward the ceiling.


“Since Catarina told me last night that I was almost ready. Then she asked where we were going to perform the bonding. I felt like an idiot telling her I had no clue. I’ll go get you a mug of tea. You get dressed.”


“Bossy thing, isn’t she,” Ron mumbled from the floor.


“Runs in the family,” Harry muttered before ducking the pillow that flew up from the floor.


++++


Ginny entered the kitchen to find Catarina standing at the sink staring into the garden; the tea kettle in her hand; the water running aimlessly into the sink.


“Catarina? Is everything alright?”


“Wha “ oh, Ginny,” Catarina blinked, looking down at the tea kettle and tap. Placing the kettle spout under the running tap, Catarina attempted to smile reassuringly at Ginny. “Yes, everything is fine. I was just lost in my thoughts. Happens when you get to be my age.”


Ginny grinned at her mentor. “Catarina, you will never be able to convince me you are anything but sharp as a tack.”


Catarina snorted. “So be it. I have you snowed. What are you up to this early in the morning?”


“Harry and I are headed out to find our place,” Ginny answered, reaching for a mug.


“Very good,” Catarina nodded. “Let me know when you find it.”


“I promise,” Ginny grinned. “I’ll come back for the tea when the water’s hot.”


Catarina nodded as she watched Ginny head back into the sitting room. Catarina turned toward the window again. Nathan had left a little bit ago. He said he had several errands to run and not to look for him until at least noon. Normally she wouldn’t worry, but as he stepped off the porch Catarina had noticed something “ he had been holding his arm when he left.


+++++


Stepping off the front porch, Ginny felt the dew in the air leave a slick layer of moisture on her face and arms. She smiled at Harry. Harry in the morning - all fuzzy and foggy - was just plain Harry.


“So?” Harry said, coming to a stop beside her.


“So,” Ginny repeated, her hands resting on the small of her back as she looked at the horizon. “We’ve explored all over there,” Ginny said, pointing toward the hill where they had spent several afternoons talking.


“Then, let’s try over there,” Harry said, nodding in the opposite direction.


“Sounds good to me,” Ginny said, holding out her hand.


Harry took it and they started down the hill behind the cottage. The terrain was easy to traverse: the hill side was grassy and not horribly steep. At the bottom, Ginny looked up and realized they had come farther than she expected.


“Hey Gin,” Harry started, “I know you said you were done with forests and all, but what do you think about checking that out?”


Ginny followed Harry’s gaze to a small grove of trees straight ahead. There was something oddly familiar about it, but Ginny couldn’t figure out what.


“Alright, let’s go check it out,” Ginny agreed.


Harry and Ginny entered the cool shade of the trees and found themselves in a circular shaped clearing about ten meters across. The sun rays snagged on the tree tops, sending scattered shadows across the patchy ground.


“This reminds me of the Burrow,” Harry said, looking around.


Ginny wrinkled her nose and contemplated Harry’s observation. “The back of the garden…where we danced?”


“Yeah, kind of. I mean, these aren’t fruit trees, but…”


“It’s peaceful and private. And round,” Ginny finished, smiling.


“I like it.” Harry looked at Ginny hopefully.


“Me, too,” Ginny agreed.


“So…” Harry said, weaving Ginny’s hands into his own.


“So?” Ginny said, a smile flirting with her mouth.


“Care to dance?” Harry said, pulling Ginny closer.


“I’d love to,” Ginny replied, resting her head against Harry’s shoulder and closing her eyes, listening to the music of the morning.


+++++


Nathan Borgin rubbed his arm. He kept trying to tell himself it was all in his head, but he wasn’t convinced of that. His arm tingled, not painfully, more like an annoying itch. Maybe it was just the healing process?, he wished hopefully. And just when did you think you’d get so lucky? he asked himself as he made his way down the aisle of the market.


Nathan glanced at the list in his hand and back at the tins of vegetables. Running his eyes over the labels, he read corn, carrots, beans, mushy peas. He grimaced. He had never liked or understood the concept of mushy peas. Reaching out, he grabbed two tins of tomatoes and dropped them into his basket. Turning away, he heard his mother’s voice in his ears:


“Nathan, make sure you get enough! You’ve lived alone too long. You don’t know how much it takes to feed more than one, especially when two of the appetites you’re feeding are growing boys’. Have you seen Ron eat? How does his mother keep up with him? What I wouldn’t give for that metabolism!”


Nathan turned back to the shelf and grabbed another two tins of tomatoes before heading toward the front of the shop. Shifting the basket into his left hand, Nathan reached behind with his right to grab his wallet. Searing pain shot up his arm, causing him to drop his basket with a crash. Luckily, it was too early in the morning for the shops to be crowded, but the few townspeople who had ventured out for their morning errands curiously watched as Nathan clutched his forearm, tins rolling around in circles at his feet. Grimacing, he nodded an apology to his fellow customers before bending down to retrieve his items. Putting them back in the basket, he turned and walked to the back of the store. Setting the basket against the wall, Nathan stepped into the darkness of the backroom. Taking a deep breath, he cleared his mind.


With a “POP!” he was gone.


++++


Hermione’s mouth moved slightly as she read. Catarina had gladly opened the doors to her study, giving Hermione carte blanche to read anything that struck her fancy. Two hours later, Hermione was half way through the second shelf on the first set of bookshelves, a stack of books she wanted to read collecting at her feet. If Lily had truly been researching how to protect James and Harry, then Hermione had a good feeling some of what she had found out would be in this room. From what Catarina had told them of Mediators, Lily had not been one, so she would not have been able to bond with James. However, the bond she had had with Harry had protected him. Since Voldemort had taken Harry’s blood, that protection was no longer there. However, perhaps the same protection could be found in the bond between Harry and Ginny.


The current text she was reading was a detailed description of blood properties and how they combined. Her eyes focused on the page, Hermione slowly walked to Catarina’s desk. Laying the book down, Hermione felt for the bottom drawer handle and pulled, opening the drawer. Touching parchment, Hermione pulled a sheet out and reached over for the quill resting in its holder on the desk. Glancing up from the book to dip the quill in the ink pot, Hermione held the book open with one hand and was about to start writing when she realized the parchment was used. Embarrassed that she had obviously found some of Catarina’s correspondence, Hermione quickly slipped it back into the drawer. She couldn’t help but glance at the words on the paper as she pushed the drawer closed.


She put her hand on the middle drawer and stopped.


She reached down and yanked the bottom drawer open again, grabbing the parchment on top. She flipped several pages back in the book she had been reading. She stood up, her heart jumping into her throat, her stomach rolling. Grabbing the parchment in her fist, Hermione flew out of the study. Barging through the empty kitchen, she exploded through the screen door, onto the porch and down the steps into the garden.


“You!” Hermione said, her eyes blazing into Catarina’s, her breath coming in angry gasps. “You knew!”


“Hermione? What’s wrong?” Catarina asked, touching Hermione’s arm. Hermione jerked her arm away.


“You knew!”


“Hermione? Are you alright?” Ginny asked as she and Harry came around the corner of the cottage. “Catarina? Has something happened?”


Hermione looked wildly at Ginny. With a cry, she flung herself at the younger girl.


“Hermione! What’s wrong?” Harry asked, peeling her off of Ginny and holding her up.


Taking gulping breaths, Hermione felt her anger usurp the fear. Stiffening her spine, Hermione turned and waved the parchment under Catarina’s nose.


“Ginny, she knew. She knew,” Hermione cried frantically. “They knew about the immortality spell.”


“Hermione, we all know about the immortality spell,” Ron said from the kitchen side of the screen door. Pushing the door open, he stepped out onto the porch and down the steps.


“Yes, I know we all know about the spell. But they knew what it meant.” Hermione turned her back on Catarina to face Harry and Ginny. “The spell calls for Ginny’s blood to be combined with Harry’s in Voldemort’s body. Ginny, Harry is your bond. If you can bond with Harry’s blood, it is possible for you to bond with Voldemort.”


Ron gasped. Harry went still. Ginny blinked at Hermione. “No,” she said shaking her head. “No, that can’t be. I can’t bond with him. My bond is Harry.”


“Ginny, don’t you see,” Hermione pleaded. “You don’t bond with Harry. You bond with ““


“My blood,” Harry finished coldly, his eyes finding Catarina’s. “Did Nathan know?”


“Harry, we didn’t know this until recently. A Blood Bonding is still the best way to protect yourselves ““


“How long have you known?” Ginny interrupted, her voice rising.


“Almost two weeks,” Catarina replied softly.


“Two weeks? You knew for two weeks?” Ron broke in, taking a step toward Catarina. Hermione reached out her arm to restrain him, but Ron hastily shrugged it away. “You knew and you didn’t say anything?” he said disbelieving.


“Ron, I didn’t know when I agreed to this that Ginny bonding with the Dark Lord was a possibility,” Catarina said desperately.


“Does Dumbledore know?” Harry scowled.


Catarina nodded slightly. “He suspected.”


“Why didn’t you say anything?” Ginny choked, tears forming in her eyes.


“Ginny, you had to learn without the pressure of knowing what might be. You would have felt rushed. You would have been too concerned with how quick-“


“Don’t tell me how I feel,” Ginny ground out. “You have no idea how I feel.”


“Yes, I do, Ginny,” Catarina replied. “I didn’t want you to have to do what I did.”


“It wasn’t your choice,” Ginny cried.


“No, it wasn’t, but it is the decision I felt was best.”


“This was NOT YOUR DECISION TO MAKE!” Ron shouted, stepping in between Ginny and Catarina.


Ginny grabbed Ron and dragged him out of the way. “Ron, stay out of this!”


“No!” Ron exclaimed. “I won’t stay out of this! You’re my sister and Harry’s my friend!”


“Ron!” Hermione stepped over, putting her hand on Ron’s arm. “Shouting isn’t going to help! We need to figure out how to make sure Ginny can’t bond with Voldemort!”


“She can’t,” Catarina whispered.


“What do you mean I can’t?” Ginny looked at Catarina, a sinking feeling was pooling in her stomach.


“Because Tom is already bonded. To me.”


The silence thickening on the porch was cold and harsh. Ginny tried to process what Catarina had said knowing deep down, somehow, she had known. It all suddenly made awful, terrible, horrific sense. Next to her, Harry had gone completely still, his expression unreadable. Into the silence, Ron’s fury exploded.


“To you? He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named is BONDED TO YOU?” he shouted incredulously.


“Ron! I never loved Tom Riddle like Ginny loves Harry!” Catarina spat. “It was a different time, I was young. He was powerful. You don’t understand.”


“I DON’T UNDERSTAND? YOU “ YOU AND “ AND HIM “ AND I DON’T UNDERSTAND?!”


“When I met Tom he wasn’t Lord Voldemort! He was just a boy with ambition. And he was my bond.”


“AMBITION! HE ISN’T AMBITIOUS! HE’S EVIL!”


“Ronald! Calm down!” Hermione broke in. “We don’t know why she did it ““


“WHY? WHY SHE DID IT? WHY IS THAT IMPORTANT?” Ron shouted.


“BECAUSE SHE DIDN’T HAVE A CHOICE!” Harry bellowed angrily.


Ron whirled around to face Harry, his fists clenched at his sides, his face glowing red.


“SHE DIDN’T HAVE A “ HAVE A “,” Ron sputtered. “HOW CAN YOU SAY SHE DIDN’T HAVE A CHOICE?”


“Because we are born with our bonds, Ron,” Ginny choked out, tears falling freely down her cheeks. “I was lucky.”


Catarina stepped toward Harry and placed her hand on his arm. Harry jerked it away.


“Don’t touch me,” he growled.


“Harry, I would like to explain,” Catarina said in a low voice.


“You have no right to explain anything to them,” Ron broke in.


“Ron, I have every right to explain to them,” Catarina argued at him. “It’s up to them if they want to listen.”


Ron closed his mouth and narrowed his eyes at the witch. Hermione stepped forward and wove her fingers into his. “Ron, I think we should hear her out.”


“Did you love him?” Ginny whispered.


Catarina shook her head. “Our bond was based on strong emotions, but not love. He was different. I was different. It made sense at the time.”


“Made sense? How could bonding with Tom Riddle ever make sense?” Harry asked scathingly.


Catarina sat down on the rocker, clasping her hands in front of her. “Ginny, do you remember the first time you saw Harry?”


Ginny blushed slightly and nodded.


“Do you remember the connection you felt? The pull?”


Ginny nodded again.


“That pull never goes away, does it? It is always there telling you are tied to Harry. If you had never met Harry, you would have never known that pull. But you did and now it is a constant in your life. It will become one in Harry’s, too, once you’re bonded.” Catarina sighed and stood up, leaning her palms against the railing. “Tom Riddle stood behind me in the queue to be sorted. Even at ““


“You went to Hogwarts?” Ron asked disbelievingly.


“Even at a young age,” Catarina continued, ignoring Ron’s outburst, “there was an aura of power around Tom. I was sorted into Ravenclaw and Tom into Slytherin. At first I thought the need I felt to be around Tom, to know him, was a silly girlhood crush, but it didn’t go away.


“I tried to deny it, but I knew. How could I not? I had grown up in a family of Mediators. My mother had taught me everything she knew, everything my grandmother had taught her. I didn’t want this to be true. I couldn’t tie myself to one who seemed to sink deeper and deeper into the Dark Arts year after year.


“In the end, it was my mother who brought it to light. I had managed to keep her from visiting Hogwarts until my seventh year. She found us in the library working on a joint essay for Potions. Tom and I had been paired together by Professor Winton. Ten minutes after meeting Tom, she knew. And instead of keeping it to herself,” Catarina uttered bitterly, “she asked him if he knew what a Blood Bonding was.”


Catarina stood. Walking to the porch railing, she leaned her forehead on a post and closed her eyes, reliving the embarrassment mingled with fear and excitement. “Tom became my shadow for the next two months, asking question after question about Blood Bonds. He was interested and attentive. Self confidence rolled off him and enveloped me. He made me believe I could do anything when he looked into me.” Catarina sighed wearily and opened her eyes.


“My mother was the most incredible witch I had ever known,” she said, turning to face them. “She was my mentor and I aspired to be just like her. She and my father shared a bond like yours.” Catarina nodded toward Harry and Ginny, who stared at her, pale as the morning mists. “I wanted that. I thought I could have that. But it wasn’t meant to be like that for me.


“Tom and I bonded during the Christmas holidays when the school was quiet and almost empty. Almost immediately, Tom’s motivations for bonding were made perfectly clear. I knew I had made a mistake and I distanced myself from him as best I could.”


“Catarina? What did he want you to do?” Ginny asked quietly.


“Heal him,” she said bitterly.


Hermione’s eyes widened suddenly. “When did you leave Nathan at Hogwarts?”


Catarina faced Hermione’s knowing gaze. “At the beginning of his fifth year.”


Hermione nodded slowly as the timeline fell into place in her mind. “You left your husband and Nathan because of Voldemort. You were afraid he would come after you to help him as he rose to power the first time.”


Catarina nodded.


“But why didn’t you return to your family after he lost his power?” Hermione asked, obviously confused.


“I received an owl from Dumbledore telling me to leave London,” Catarina answered. “I fled as fast as I could, but I wasn’t fast enough.”


Harry felt his stomach drop as he clenched his fists at his side, the sensation of huddling on the cold, damp grass covering the grave of Tom Riddle Sr., flooding back. He could see Cedric’s lifeless body lying on the cold, damp earth. He could hear Voldemort bragging about journeying further down the road of immortality than anyone - how he should be dead but wasn’t. Something had kept him alive. Something…or someone.


Ginny gasped as she stepped backwards, away from Catarina.


“He found you,” she whispered shocked. “He found you and you kept him alive!”


“Ginny, please,” Catarina reached out for her apprentice, but Ginny pulled her hands out of reach.


“I need to go now,” Ginny said, her voice unnaturally high. “I just need to go.” Turning, Ginny ran to the porch, up the steps and through the screen door.


“Please, Harry,” Catarina pleaded.


“Don’t talk to me,” Harry growled, turning on his heel and following Ginny into the cottage.


“Why couldn’t you have just killed him?” Ron hissed.


“Because of the prophecy,” Hermione answered sadly.


Catarina shook her head. “No, it wasn’t because of a prophecy. I couldn’t have, no matter how much I wanted to. Mediators can’t kill their bonds. It goes against our nature,” she whispered, tears coursing down her cheeks. “We can only heal them.”


+++++


“Nathan.”


“Lord Voldemort,” Nathan nodded to his host sitting at the desk in the study. “Lucius,” he greeted his former housemate standing to the left of the desk.


“Lucius seems to believe you might be able to help with a piece of vital information I need,” Voldemort hissed.


“Oh?” Nathan replied casually. “And what is that?”


“I need to know where your mother is.”


“My mother left me at Hogwarts when I was fifteen.”


“Yes, Lucius has told me as much.”


“She and I are not on speaking terms.”


“Which is why you will have no problem telling me where she is. No mother simply walks away.”


Nathan glanced at Malfoy. Lucius’ arms were crossed over his chest, a smug expression of triumph distorting his pocked face. “Mine did,” Nathan answered coldly.


“No, she didn’t,” Malfoy leered, walking around the desk to face Nathan.


As Nathan looked into Malfoy’s crazed eyes, he knew Voldemort knew.


“Yes,” Voldemort hissed, “he lies, too. I don’t like to be lied to.” Raising his wand, Voldemort pointed it at Nathan’s chest.


“Crucio.”


Nathan fell to the ground, writhing and screaming in agony. He felt the claws of the trap ensnare him and the curse lift. As tears of pain leaked from his eyes, he heard Malfoy laugh shrilly before Voldemort turned his wand on him.


++++



Ginny lay on her bed, her face buried in her down pillow. A sob emerged from her gut, the ache starting in her back and spreading to her shaking shoulders. Her heart felt as if it had been ripped out, leaving a gaping numb emptiness in her middle. Convincing Ron and Hermione to go home without her and Harry had been one of the most difficult things she had ever done, especially because she was pretty certain Harry disagreed with her.


Ron had argued and Hermione had clutched her hands together, shooting both she and Harry worried looks. Neither one even cast a glance in Catarina’s direction. In the end, Ginny had put her foot down, stating truthfully this was the safest place for them for the time being. She couldn’t Apparate (well enough or legally) back to the Burrow. They didn’t have a Portkey (although Hermione offered to attempt to charm a fruit bowl for them). The fireplace wasn’t hooked up to the Floo Network and Harry didn’t have his broom. Ginny knew deep down these were just excuses to stay until she sorted this out. She was not one to run from hard decisions or tough situations and now wasn’t the time to start. So she and Harry had watched as Ron and Hermione Disapparated back to the Burrow, leaving them standing alone on the porch, Catarina watching over them from the window above the kitchen sink. When the dust settled, Ginny had whirled around, flung open the screen door and ran to her room, the tears she had held at bay spilling down her cheeks.


She felt Harry’s presence before she heard him. Lifting her head, she watched through her tears as Harry closed the door and sat down on the edge of the bed. Ginny pushed herself up and leaned against him. Ginny took a ragged breath and sniffled.


“You okay?” Harry asked.


Ginny sniffled again then shrugged. “Yeah, I’m okay.”


“Ginny, I think we should go back to the Burrow.”


“Have “ have you changed your mind?” Ginny asked her brow furrowed.


“No, not about the bonding,” Harry said. “I just think we should do it there, that it would be safer there.”


“But Harry, we are as safe here as we would be there.”


Harry abruptly stood up, shoving his hands in his pockets. “Look, Ginny, I’m supposed to watch out for you ““


“I can take care of myself!”


“I know you can, Ginny. I just think ““


“Maybe that’s your problem, Harry Potter! You’re thinking!” Ginny sputtered, swiping at the dampness on her cheeks. “Harry, I told Hermione and Ron the truth. There isn’t a safe way for us to leave today. And I need Catarina.”


“Why? Why do you need her? She said you’re almost ready!”


“I don’t feel ready!”


With a bang, the door flew open and bounced against the wall. Catarina rushed in, a piece of parchment clutched in her hand.


“Ginny! Harry!” Catarina stopped and gathered her wits. “Dumbledore has just sent an owl. Nathan is missing. Albus thinks Tom has him.”


Catarina stepped further into the room and clasped the parchment in her hands in front of her. “When I agreed to do this, I never expected the two individuals Nathan wanted me to meet and help would be such extraordinary young people. Perhaps I should have guessed that when Nathan insisted this be your choice, but it had been so many years since I had known him, I didn’t pick up on his commitment to you.


“Ginny, my reasons for not telling you were selfish, I admit. Selfish for me, and selfish for you. I wanted you to learn without feeling like you had to. I wanted you to love this process, to understand it, appreciate it. I also wanted desperately to teach someone, to share my knowledge with someone,” Catarina pleaded.


“I’m not asking for forgiveness or understanding. I just want you to know, I have not mislead you in my teachings. Everything I shared with you, my notes, my books, and my knowledge is what my mother taught me and what her mother taught her.


“If Tom has Nathan, it is only a matter of time until he discovers where I am. If you are going to do this, you need to go now. Please believe me! This is the best -“


“How did he find you?”


Catarina caught her breath at Ginny’s question. “As long as I live, he will feed off my life. Once your bond is performed, the pull you feel for Harry, he will feel similarly for you. I have been lucky. He has left me alone for almost seventeen years.”


“Why?”


“The blood I am bonded to within him has been polluted,” Catarina paused, her cheeks growing pink. “No offense, Harry.”


Harry blinked at her for a moment before realizing she was referring to his blood in Voldemort’s veins.


“The pull is still there, just not as strong.” Catarina reached out to touch Ginny on the arm. “Ginny, you must go. Now.”



“But I’m not ready!” Ginny cried.


“Yes, you are,” Catarina said, smiling at her. “You are ready.”


Ginny bit her bottom lip and glanced at Harry who was staring at Catarina with a frightening intensity. She placed her hand on Harry’s arm. Harry looked down at Ginny and took a deep breath. He nodded.


Giving Ginny a fierce hug, Catarina released her. “Where are your notes? The blade?”


Fumbling with the latch on the trunk at the end of the bed, Ginny opened the lid and retrieved the rosewood box. Harry took it from her and slipped it under his arm. Clutching the notes, Ginny turned to face Catarina again. Quickly leaning forward, Ginny gave Catarina a kiss on the cheek. Pulling back, Catarina smiled proudly at her.


“Go.”


Ginny looked back at Harry and took his hand. Tightening her grip on the notes, Ginny led Harry past Catarina and out the back door.


Catarina placed her hand on the screen, feeling the coolness of the metal mesh against her palm. She watched as the pair walked down the hill, suddenly realizing she had no idea where they were going. Pushing the door open, she raised her other hand to wave at Harry and Ginny, but stopped at a sound in the kitchen.


Deep inside she felt a pull so strong and cold she almost folded in half. Clutching her chest, she slowly stepped back into the hall, closing the backdoor quietly. She turned and exhaled.


Walking purposefully down the short hallway, she straightened her shoulders and dropped her hand to her side. Clearing her mind, she entered the kitchen and stopped.


“Nathan,” she nodded to her son, keeping her expression unreadable. She noted the painful way he held himself and cringed inwardly. “And you must be Lucius Malfoy.”


Turning to the third being, Catarina caught her breath, forcing herself to exhale slowly. He turned to face her.


“Catarina.”


Catarina held her head high as she answered calmly.


“Hello, Tom.”


++++




A/N “ Thanks to Kissmegrint for her wonderful help with commas, spelling, punctuation, etc, even throughout her school testing. I do so appreciate it!


Thanks to wvchemteach who pushed it back over and over again until I got it right.


Next chapter…the Blood Bonding. On that note, the next chapters are written. I'm just waiting for this one to be validated and I promise, I'll put the next one in the queue. I know the queue is moving, it's just a little slow right now. So keep checking back - thanks!
Bonds Broken by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.




Bonds Broken







Blood into Blood…My strength into you…NO! My strength I give to you! Ginny chanted silently as she ran; the notes clutched to her chest and Harry at her side. Abruptly he pulled her into the grove of trees. Bursting into the clearing, they came to a stop, gasping to catch their breaths.


“Okay,” Harry huffed, laying the box holding the blade at their feet. “What do we do?”


“Well,” Ginny answered, catching her breath and flipping through the stack of parchment. “We need to bind our hands. No, wait,” she shuffled pages, her hands shaking; “we need cut our palms then bind our hands “ Damn! We don’t have anything to bind our hands with. Where are we going to find something “ I don’t ““


“Ginny!” Harry put his hands on Ginny’s shoulder. “Breathe! And put that down!” Harry grabbed at the parchment and took it from Ginny’s panicked grasp. Setting it on the ground next to the box, Harry straightened back up and looked into Ginny’s eyes. “You know this. Catarina said you’re ready. You can do this. I believe you can do this.”


Ginny blinked at him, her mouth slightly open and her hands knotted into fists at her side. Slowly, she exhaled and nodded, her shoulders relaxing under Harry’s hands. “Thank you.”


“No problem,” Harry said smiling slightly. “Now, what do we do?” he repeated, shoving his hands in to his back pockets.


“Open the box and remove the blade,” Ginny said, kneeling on the dirt floor of the clearing. Harry knelt beside her and watched as she lifted the wooden box onto her knees. Slipping her fingernail under the clasp, Ginny lifted the small piece of metal that held the lid shut. Pushing the lid up, Ginny paused for a moment to calm her nerves. With a steady hand, she reached in and removed the cool silver blade from its velvet bed.


”Here, hold this,” she said, placing the knife in Harry’s hand. Harry was surprised at how heavy the knife was. Turning it over, he admired the simplicity of the brushed silver metal, the smoothness of the curved handle and how it rested perfectly in his hand, as if it had been made for him.


Ginny closed the lid of the box and set it aside. “Now, we need something to bind our hands together,” she said looking around for inspiration.


“How about your hair ribbon?” Harry asked, looking at the red silk ends trailing on either side of her ponytail.


“Oh, right,” Ginny smiled, reaching up to untie the knot in the ribbon.


“Now,” Ginny said, holding the ribbon across her knees. “Are you ready?”


Harry grinned in spite of himself. “Can I say no?”


“Funny, Harry, very funny.”


Ginny scooted so she faced Harry, her knees touching his. Holding out her palm, she smiled at him. “Give me your left hand.”


Harry laid his hand palm up on Ginny’s and smiled back. “I love you,” he said quietly.


“I love you, too, Harry,” she replied softly, before sternly saying, “Now, don’t move!”


+++++


Catarina stood at the end of her worn kitchen table studying the trio of wizards. Keeping her features schooled, she stated the obvious.


“So, Tom, you found me. And you brought friends.”


“No one calls me that anymore,” Voldemort sneered, watching her face.


“You will always be Tom to me.”


“You don’t like what you see.”


“You are not the boy I once knew.”


“No, I am better, partly due to you.”


“I do not want any credit for what you have become,” Catarina replied bitterly.


“You could join me again, Catarina. Together, we could do great things,” Voldemort offered, leaning the palms of his hands against the table.


“I have heard that offer before, Tom. My answer has not changed.”


“Your son has,” Voldemort sneered.


“My son has much of his father in him,” Catarina commented, keeping her eyes focused on the Dark Lord. “Why are you here, Tom?”


“For a Blood Bonding.”


“Tom, we’re already bonded. I can’t change that no matter how much I’d like to.”


“You can’t - but I can.”


Catarina saw Nathan’s head jerk up at Voldemort’s word. Look away, Nathan. Look away.


“You are assuming there is someone else you could bond with,” Catarina said casually, fishing to see if he knew.


“There is,” Voldemort smirked. “There is another. And by bonding with her, I will then have her blood within me. You do realize what that will mean, don’t you, Catarina?”


Voldemort slithered around the table. Catarina willed herself to stand still, feeling the Dark Lord’s hot breath bathe her face as he came to stand directly in front of her. Tilting her head back so she could look into his red snake-like eyes, Catarina mocked him defiantly.


“No, Tom, why don’t you tell me.”


“It means I will achieve true immortality. And I will have something Potter wants and will never have.”


“No, Tom, you are mistaken. There will never be another. I will make sure of that,” Catarina said quietly, taking a step back. Nathan, we talked about this. We knew this was a possibility. Please remember that.


“You can’t kill me, witch,” Voldemort hissed.


“No, I can’t. But you will never have what you want by killing me, Tom,” Catarina said. Good-bye, Nathan. I love you.


Voldemort eyes became slits. “You were always a foolish witch, Catarina. Haven’t you learned by now that you cannot stop me?” Raising his wand, Voldemort pointed it at Catarina’s chest and let out a hiss.


“Avada Kedavra”


Catarina threw her hand out in front of her, her palm face forward and closed her eyes, a flash of blinding white light shooting forward.


The flash of green light slammed into the pulsing white light shooting from Catairna’s hand. Exploding in the middle, rays of light touched every corner of the kitchen, bleaching everything a pale green. The killing curse wound its way around the obliteration charm as they passed, each traveling the others’ path. Catarina watched as the white light hit Voldemort, a scream of intense burning pain emitting from his mouth before her world went black.


Shocked and stunned beyond movement, Nathan saw his mother’s body crumple to the floor, helpless to do anything more than just watch. Numb inside, he looked up to see Lucius bending over Voldemort. Shoving his emotions deep below the surface, Nathan stepped over the body of his mother to Voldemort’s side.


“Is he alive?” Nathan asked.


“Yes, you fool,” Voldemort wheezed, clutching his chest. Pushing himself off the table, Voldemort raised his wand, pointing it at Nathan’s chest, his outstretched hand shaking. “What did your mother do to me?”


“She performed an Obliteration Charm,” Nathan answered dully.


Voldemort pushed himself up into a sitting position. “What does that mean?”


“It means your ability to bond has been impaired.”


“Impaired? What does impaired mean?” Voldemort hissed.


“It means exactly what you think it means,” Nathan said, unable to mask his anger entirely.


“And you didn’t think to tell me this was a possibility?”


“If you hadn’t killed her, this wouldn’t be an issue,” Nathan growled.


“And that is why you will never be more than you are.” Voldemort’s breath rasped as he said, “Crucio!”


Nathan fell to the floor next to Malfoy, screaming. As the searing pain lifted, he heard Malfoy fall next to him, his pain echoing his own. Nathan felt Voldemort push up into a standing position, using his shoulders and back as leverage.


“Find me her notes. All of them. On Bonding. On Obliteration Charms. And on the immortality spell. I want to know it all,” Voldemort hissed. With a “POP!” he was gone.


Nathan slowly got to his hands and knees. He saw Malfoy stir beside him. Lucius lifted his head, his reddened eyes searing into his own.


“How could you allow this to happen?” Malfoy sneered.


“Are you questioning my loyalties?” Nathan asked coldly.


“Yes, I am” Malfoy challenged.


“I alter the wards around my mother’s home. I bring you and him here. I watch him kill my mother. And now, you are questioning my loyalties?”


With every word, Nathan felt his insides unraveling. His nostrils flared with anger as he pulled himself up into a standing position using the table for support. Leaning down, he grabbed a fistful of Malfoy’s robes and jerked him to his feet.

“You are not fit to even stand on my mother’s kitchen floor, let alone kneel on it,” he hissed. “Come on. Anything my mother would have would be in here,” Nathan said motioning toward his mother’s library.


Pushing the French doors open, Nathan stepped aside as Chehalis, his mother’s cat bolted out of the room. Chehalis circled his mother’s body, nudging her hand with his nose. When Catarina didn’t respond, Chehalis padded in a circle three times and curled up by her chest, resting his chin on her hand. Nathan realized he wasn’t the only one who had lost someone he loved today. At least you aren’t the reason she’s dead, he thought bitterly.


Turning back to the study, his eyes passed over the overstuffed olive colored sofa. One of Harry’s sweatshirts was strewn across the cushions. Nathan’s gut froze with fear.


Where are Harry and Ginny?



+++++


In one smooth move, Ginny slid the blade across the fleshy part of skin at the bottom of Harry’s palm. Mesmerized, he watched a trail of red follow the silver blade as it moved across his skin. He blinked, realizing it didn’t hurt. He somehow had a feeling it would though if Ginny hadn’t been holding his hand.


Ginny released his hand and turned her own over. Holding the knife with her left hand, Ginny winced as she made an identical cut to Harry’s on her right hand. She then placed the blade on the top of the box. Holding her right hand up, she guided Harry’s left hand so it pressed against her palm. A warm tingling spread from the cut on his hand to his fingertips. Ginny picked up the red silk ribbon lying across her knees and slipped one end between their palms. Wrapping it around, Ginny bound their hands together.


“Now, Harry, I need you to relax and open yourself up to me. Just breathe deep and let me in,” Ginny said calmly as she smiled encouragingly at him.


Harry nodded and took a deep breath. Part of Harry wanted to keep his eyes open to watch this wondrous thing, but the instant Ginny closed her eyes, he felt a pull in his gut that seemed to drag his eyelids shut. He felt himself going under and down, almost as if he was drowning within himself. He thought he should struggle, but a sense of warmth cascaded through his veins and a sense of buoyancy bubbled to the top. His insides swelled with what felt like the greatest happiness he would ever feel just before he felt a pull so forceful it almost physically dragged him forward. He could see in his mind the ties that were forming between him and Ginny, the strings that would never be broken, weaving their lives together.


He felt the tingling sensation in his fingertips spread throughout his arm and travel the length of his body. Behind his closed eyes, he could see a brightness growing around them as he heard Ginny begin to speak softly.



”Blood into Blood
My strength I give to you
Our Bond Everlasting


Blood into Blood
My strength I give to you
To heal you, To help you


Blood into Blood
We become One
Of heart, Of Flow


Blood into Blood
Our powers united
Our Bond Everlasting”



Harry felt warmth swirling around them, the light becoming brighter through his closed eyes. He wanted to open them but couldn’t; it was if his eyes were glued shut as the magic filled the clearing.


+++++


“How do you expect us to find anything in here?’ Lucius snarled, as he threw another book on the floor. Nathan winced as the pages folded on top of each other.


“Show a little respect for the books, Lucius,” Nathan commented. “They may be above your intellectual capabilities, but someone else might find them interesting.”


Nathan’s wand was drawn before Lucius could find his pocket. “You put your hand in your pocket, Lucius, you’ll be missing your right side.”


Lucius narrowed his eyes at Nathan. “The only reason he hasn’t killed you yet, Nathan, is he thinks Potter trusts you. You will deliver Potter to him, just like you gave him your mother.”


“And why hasn’t he killed you yet, Lucius?” Nathan taunted. “Let’s see, so far, you’ve almost done him in with a botched immortality spell and now you’ve ruined his chances of bonding ever again. I’d say, you aren’t ““


“What do you mean ruined? You told him impaired!”


Nathan felt as if he was teetering on the edge of sanity and laughed shrilly. “Did I say impaired? Oh, look,” Nathan said, holding his arms out to his side, “I’m still alive. And for that matter, so are you. Do you think either one of us would still be here if I’d told him he would never be the same again?”


Rage radiated from Malfoy’s form as he realized once again, he owed Borgin his life. Grabbing the door handles, Malfoy flung the French doors open. “I’m going to look upstairs.”


Nathan slumped into the desk chair behind his mother’s desk, his head sinking into his hands. He felt the tears burn behind his eyelids and he willed them to dry up. His guilt would have to wait until later. Right now, he needed to find something that would satisfy his so-called new master. Tapping his fingers on the desk, Nathan mentally ran through what he could remember of his mother’s work. She had spent several months working on Obliteration charms, jotting down her notes in a book. In his mind, he could see a journal, burgundy cover, brown leather spine...he pushed the desk chair backward and ran into something. Looking over his shoulder, he saw Catarina’s trunk. He recognized this trunk. His mother had called it her treasure chest. She always said everyone should have a treasure chest because everyone deserved to have treasures. Then she would tell him he was one of her treasures, but it just wouldn’t do for her to keep him in the trunk.


Drawing a ragged breath, he spun around and flipped the lid open and peered over the edge. Pitching the papers and books inside onto the floor, he soon uncovered the bottom. Picking at the corner of the paper liner, he grabbed an edge and slowly pulled, revealing a false bottom. Grabbing the letter opener on the desk, Nathan slipped it between the bottom and the side of the trunk. Prying the thin slab of wood up, Nathan put it aside. Reaching inside with both hands, Nathan scooped up the treasures his mother had deemed worthy of hiding.


Dumping them on the desktop, Nathan quickly sorted through the items. He wished he had more time. These were the things his mother deemed treasures. Pushing aside the magical photos of him as a child, he picked up a pocket watch and flipped open the cover. It was his grandfather’s. Shoving it in his pocket, he picked up a Muggle photograph of his mother. She was standing in a park, her head thrown back, laughing. Glancing down, he realized the picture had been resting on the journal. Quickly slipping the photo in between the pages, Nathan tucked the volume in his robe pocket. He knew he would be able to piece something together for Voldemort out of this.


Stepping around the desk, Nathan went in search of Lucius and to make sure his mother’s cottage wasn’t being destroyed in Maloy’s quest for glory. As he entered the sitting room, his eyes were drawn to the sofa. The sweatshirt was on the floor. He stopped. He heard the back door bounce against its frame.


“Bloody Hell!” Nathan swore, as he ran toward the back door.


++++


Lucius stood on the edge of the clearing, not daring to believe his luck. He had never once thought for even a moment that he would fail in his quest for revenge. He just hadn’t expected a glowing beacon of light to lead him to victory, especially one formed by the very prey he sought. This was just too perfect for words.


His mouth curling into a smile that spoke of pure evil, Malfoy raised his wand and targeted Ginny’s chest.


“Crucio,” he hissed.


Ginny’s back arched upward and backward, pulling Harry with her, as she let out a scream of anguish. Harry registered the breaking branches and stumbling footfalls seconds before the searing pain tore through him, his scream matching Ginny’s. It felt as if his blood was on fire. He felt Ginny tear at the ribbon binding their hands and a hand push him hard in the middle of his chest, sending him crashing into the packed dirt floor. Cracking his eyes open, he realized his glasses had fallen off. His mind told his hand to reach out for them, to search for them, but every nerve ending in his body screamed at any sign of movement.


Ginny grasped the cut in her hand struggling to right herself. Tears of pain streaming down her face, Ginny awkwardly stood up, searching for her wand but only finding the blade.


“Don’t come any closer,” she choked.


“I’ll come as close as I want,” Lucius Malfoy sneered. “You think a puny little blade is going to stop me? Besides,” he said, glancing down at Harry’s shaking form, “it doesn’t look like your boyfriend is going to be able to save you now.”


“Harry,” Ginny said, struggling to calm her ragged breathing, “is fine.”


“You have a strange definition of fine,” Malfoy smirked. “It appears I came just in time. You were in the mid-“


“What do you want, Malfoy?” Ginny said coldly, forcing herself to ignore the hammering pain speeding through her veins. Her eyes followed the Death Eater as he began to walk around the edge of the clearing.


“What do you think I want?” he sneered. “I’ve come to make you pay for what you did to me.”


Harry breathed freer as the pain settled into what felt like a gaping hole in his chest. He willed his hand to reach out, his fingers grasping at the dirt and tufts of grass on the ground. His fingers hit something cold and metal. Wrapping them around the object, Harry weakly brought his glasses to his face and slipped them over his nose. Blinking through the dust smeared lenses, he saw Ginny standing over him, one of her hands on her knees for stability, the other on the blade pointing at Lucius Malfoy who in turn was pointing his wand at Ginny’s chest. Harry tried to push himself up, but couldn’t - his limbs a mass of burning, inflamed weight. He thought desperately about the wand in his back pocket but realized he had no hope of rolling over to get it fast enough.


“Malfoy!” Nathan yelled, as he crashed through the trees. “You don’t want her. You want me!”


Malfoy whipped around, his wand directed at Nathan who stood panting on the edge of the clearing.


“I’m the one who could have saved you. She knew nothing. She was merely your puppet. If you want to kill someone, kill me,” Nathan finished.


“I’m going to kill you both,” Lucius leered. “And then I will deliver Potter to the Dark Lord.”


“You are a fool, Lucius,” Nathan countered, moving slowly to position himself between Harry and Ginny and Malfoy. He needed to buy time, time to think, time get Harry and Ginny to safety. “You always were. You were never capable of a single original thought unless it centered on how to improve your life, how to gain you more power and prestige. And now you want to kill a sixteen year old girl for a mistake you made. You are pathetic.”


Nathan’s foot stepped on what felt like a stick. Glancing quickly down, he realized it was Ginny’s wand. Planting his heel in the ground, he pushed it back toward her.


“It was your mistake, Nathan,” Lucius snarled.


“Exactly, Lucius,” Nathan agreed as she saw Ginny slowly lower herself to pick up the wand and Catarina’s notes. “That is why your argument is with me, not her.”


“Kill me, Lucius. Leave the girl out of it,” Nathan said.


Lucius opened his mouth at the same time Nathan turned his head and hissed out of the side of his mouth, “Apparate. Now!”


Nathan dove toward Lucius, knocking his wand up, the spell hitting the ground a meter from Harry’s feet. Ginny fell to the ground on top of Harry, the notes and blade sandwiched between her chest and his. Her wand in one hand, she grabbed Harry’s other hand and closed her eyes. With a “POP”, they were gone.


Lucius screamed as he watched his prey disappear. Jabbing his wand through the air, his curse rang through the clearing.


“CRUCIO!”


Nathan dodged the flash of light, diving behind a tree. Reaching back into his memory of dueling spells his father had taught him, Nathan fired back.


“Ossis Fractus!”


The bone crushing curse exploded from the end of Nathan’s wand, the recoil from his wand throwing him back into the brush, the curse disintegrating a stump to the left of Malfoy. One of the few positive points of growing up in a household focused on the Ancient Arts was Nathan had a stockpile of little known or used curses at his disposal and he had no issue using them all, if need be. Nathan struggled to his feet, his robes catching on the brambles, slowing him down.


“Diffindo!” Malfoy cursed as he stalked Nathan, cutting through the underbrush.


Nathan aimed his wand at the forest floor behind him. “Ferio!” Fallen limbs, rocks, and other debris pelted Malfoy, slowing his progress down and giving Nathan the chance to dive behind a fallen tree. Flinging his arm over the trunk, Nathan sent a bludgeoning curse after the debris.


His arms in front of his face as a shield, Malfoy screamed retaliation. “REDUCTO!”


Nathan felt the tree he leaned on explode, splinters spearing everything in sight, the force throwing him forward onto the forest floor. Gritting his teeth as slivers of wood pierced his skin, Nathan rolled under a fallen nurse log. Malfoy crashed through the underbrush, shouting cutting curses at the objects in his path. Something wet trickled down the side of Nathan’s knee as an aching throb began to travel up the inside of his leg.


Nathan knew from years of study that focusing on the negative emotions caused the blood to boil more rapidly, throwing off a wizard’s judgment, but he was past caring. He craved the loss of inhibitions, the lessening of ethical standards that came with the pure hatred-infused anger flowing through his system. It might be physical instead of emotional, but he wanted Malfoy to hurt as much as he did. Flinging himself over the tree trunk, Nathan took aim.


“EXTUNDO!”


Flashes of burning light pelted Malfoy violently, beating him back as they slammed into his skin. Malfoy’s pain echoed off the trees as he fired back a bludgeoning curse.


“Protego!” Nathan bellowed, Malfoy’s curse bouncing off the shield.


“RELASHIO!” Nathan retaliated, jets of flame shooting out of his wand. The forest floor burst into flame, the dry leaves and twigs sparking into the air.
Nathan heard Malfoy shriek in fury as the flames licked his robes. Lucius shouted an extinguishing curse as he changed course, heading back toward the clearing.


Nathan swore as he crashed after Malfoy, throwing himself behind a fallen tree trunk as Malfoy hexed a boulder to fly toward him. Nathan’s teeth rattled as his upper body was thrown forward with the impact of rock and wood. Scrambling around the other side of the fallen tree, Nathan saw Malfoy dodge between tree trunks, heading back to the clearing. He realized Malfoy was probably going back to see if Harry and Ginny had left anything behind. Pushing off the damp ground, Nathan ran through the woods to catch up.


Nathan burst into the clearing and Malfoy looked up, snarling at him and raising his wand. Nathan back peddled into the forest, throwing himself into the underbrush as he heard Malfoy shriek.


“AVADA KEDAVRA!”


The dirt flew, stinging his eyes and filling his lungs as the curse flew over his head. Nathan sputtered and coughed before hearing a “POP!” Gasping for breath, he pushed himself off the dead leaves. The clearing was empty. Malfoy was gone. Nathan threw his head back and opened his mouth, his roar of rage filling the clearing.


+++++


After extinguishing the fire he started, Nathan limped up the hill to his mother’s home. He now stood at the backdoor to his mother’s cottage, his hand resting on the worn green painted wood frame, unable to open it. He wasn’t sure he could face what he had done. Taking a deep breath, he turned away from his cottage and took a step away. A perturbed ‘Meow’ caused him to stop and look back over his shoulder.


“Damn,” he muttered.


He couldn’t leave this without setting it right. Raising his wand briefly in the air, he turned, stepping back up to the door and grabbing the handle. Gently closing the door behind him, he stood on the doormat, looking up the worn back stairs to his mother’s room. Numbly, he placed his hand on the railing and pulled himself, step by step, up the staircase.


He tried to look around the room but the tears streaming down his face blurred his vision. Falling to his knees, he dropped his head into his hands and allowed the grief and guilt to intertwine and flow out of him. Gradually, numbness dulled the painful edges around his heart, and he pushed himself off the floor. Taking a deep breath, he wiped his damp cheeks with his handkerchief and straightened his shoulders.


Taking a quick look around the room, Nathan descended the stairs. Turning the corner, he entered the room Ginny had slept in. Chehalis, his mother’s cat, sat on the end of the bed, looking expectantly at him. Ignoring the feline and mentally apologizing to Ginny for the invasion of privacy, he cast a charm to pack her belonging in the bag at the end of the bed. Picking it up, he ventured through the kitchen followed by Chehalis, avoiding his mother’s still form, to the sitting room where he packed Harry’s things as well.


Picking up Harry’s bag in his free hand, he slowly turned toward the kitchen. He wasn’t surprised to see Albus Dumbledore standing there, his eyes focused on his mother.


“She was a very special witch, Nathan,” Dumbledore said softly.


“I know,” Nathan agreed, coming to stand next to the Headmaster. Chehalis rubbed against Nathan’s leg.


“You knew this was a possibility.”


“Yes, I did.”


“Do not blame yourself, Nathan. Your mother was a courageous woman. She felt a need to wipe away a debt she believed she owed. This was her decision. This was her way.”


“I know that, sir. It doesn’t make it hurt any less.”


“I know,” Dumbledore said, turning to gaze at his Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor. “Are you ready?”


Nathan surveyed his mother’s home: the scrubbed counter tops, the worn kitchen table, the stacks of books filling every corner, and lastly his mother. Slowly, he bent over, placing the bags in his hands on the floor. Kneeling, he rested his hand on his mother’s shoulder. He felt his throat close with tears as he leaned down to place a kiss on her soft cheek.


Good-bye, Mother. I love you.


Slowly, he leaned back on his heals, his eyes never leaving his mother’s face. At last, he thought, she has found peace.


Standing up, he picked up the cat and nodded.


Dumbledore held his wand above Catarina. “Rest well, dear friend,” he said softly before swirling his wand in a circular motion. A swell of sparkling particles enveloped the form of Catarina Borgin, cushioning her, lifting her. Involuntarily, Nathan took a step backward as his mother’s form lifted from the floor. One moment she was there, the next she was gone.


Nathan blinked at the empty space and drew a ragged breath. He felt a steadying hand on his shoulder.


“It is time.”


Nathan nodded. Putting the cat down and picking up the bags at his feet, Nathan took a tentative step forward, then another and another. He was on the porch, then on solid ground in the garden, Chehalis right beside him.


“You first, Nathan,” Dumbledore said quietly. “I’ll bring Chehalis. To the Burrow.”


Nathan shifted Ginny’s bag to under his right arm and lifted his wand. The instant he apparated, he could have sworn he saw his mother’s home disappear in a flash of flame.


+++++



Harry sucked in his breath and he hit hard, cold ground, Ginny’s weight pressing on top of him.


“Harry?” Ginny croaked. “Harry? Are you alright?”


Harry groaned. “I’d be better if you would get off of me.”


“Oh! Sorry,” Ginny apologized as she rolled off him slowly. Gingerly folding her knees beneath her, Ginny knelt beside him and placed her hands on either side of his head and turned his eyes toward hers. “How do you feel?” she hesitantly asked.


“Awful,” Harry answered honestly. “How do you feel?”


“I’ve been better,” Ginny admitted, dropping her hands to the ground to steady herself.


“Why does it hurt so much?” Harry asked. He was surprised at how exhausting it was to simply talk.


Ginny swallowed. “It was the Cruciatus Curse. It went through me to you. Instead of being able to stop it, I think I magnified it,” Ginny’s eyes burned bright with tears of anger and guilt.


“Ginny, it’s not your fault.” Harry attempted to push himself up on his elbows but pain shot through his back causing him to drop back down to the ground.


Ginny’s bottom lip trembled slightly as she caught her breath. “I know,” she said unconvincingly. “It was working. I could feel it. We were so close,” she said, rubbing her palms up and down on the knees of her jeans. “The ties were forming “ did you see them? They were amazing! The ties hadn’t bonded yet. When they do, you would feel the pull. You don’t feel the pull, do you?” she finished quietly, looking down at her hands.


Harry reached out and covered her hand with his own. “No, but I saw the ties. You were right, they were amazing. But right now everything feels like it burns from the inside out.”


“Can you sit up?”


“Maybe with help,” Harry said.


Leaning down, Ginny put her arm under Harry’s shoulder. Harry winced as he pushed off the ground and Ginny pulled him into a sitting position. They stared at each other, breathing heavily from exertion.


“Ginny, this is temporary, right?” Harry asked, breathing heavily.


“Honestly, Harry,” Ginny answered, looking around at their surrounding for the first time, “I don’t know. Catarina told me I wouldn’t be able to help you until we were properly bonded. She warned me if anything went wrong, she said we needed to seek out Professor Borgin or Dumbledore or “ or a Healer.” Ginny took a deep breath. “And I don’t see any of them in the near vicinity.”


“Where do you suppose this vicinity is?” Harry asked as he closed his eyes against the dull ache in his muscles. “What were you thinking when we apparated?”


“Oh,” Ginny blew out the breath she’d been holding. “To be honest, all I could
concentrate on was getting you to a Healer.”


“Well, I’m pretty sure this isn’t St. Mungos,” Harry said wearily, his head falling forward, his chin resting on his chest.


“No, it’s not,” Ginny admitted looking up.


Whatever light had been filtering through the branches of the trees surrounding them was quickly being extinguished by the approaching evening. Picking up her wand from the ground, Ginny raised it up and then pulled it down.


“Harry, I don’t know where we are. I’m not of age. Maybe you should…”


“Stupid Ministry rules,” he muttered, “Ginny, what’s the worse that could happen? Someone find us?”


Ginny rolled her eyes. “Good point.” Raising her wand, she uttered, “Lumos!”


The glow from the end of her wand did little to lighten their surroundings. Ginny held her wand up higher. From what she could tell, she had landed them in the middle of pitch black nothingness. A shadow scurried into her wand light. Surprised, Ginny lost her balance and fell back onto Harry, who sucked in his breath.


“Sorry,” Ginny apologized, straightening up.


Ginny held her wand out again. She felt her heart leap as the glow bounced off a pair of beady eyes. She blinked and they were gone. Her heart racing, she pulled her wand back to her chest.


“Harry?” she said tentatively.


“Yeah?” Harry grunted, trying to shift into a sitting position.


“I have good news and bad news. Which do you want first?”


“Good.”


“My apparation is getting better. We landed pretty close to where I had planned.”


“Alright,” Harry responded, blinking into the darkness. “What’s the bad?”


“I have a feeling I know what Healer I was thinking of when we apparated,” Ginny admitted, gingerly tucking her feet under her at the sound of rustling leaves nearby.


“And?”


“And, you know how Hermione is always telling us how according to Hogwarts: A History, you can’t apparate or disapparate within Hogwarts?”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded.


“Well, I think we’re as close to Hogwarts as we can get without actually Apparating onto the grounds proper.” Ginny paused. “I’m pretty sure we landed in the Forbidden Forest.”



++++



A/N “ I finished writing this chapter at my in-laws over spring break. My husband found me in the basement of his parents’ home looking so forlorn he had to ask what the matter was. He thought I was nuts when I wailed, “Catarina’s dead!”
She had become one of my favorites.


Thanks to my betas Kissmegrint and wvchemteach.


And thanks to my family, even if you do think I’m a little batty.
Journeys by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own nor profit from the Harry Potter World.




Journeys







“The Forbidden Forest,” Harry repeated.


“Yeah,” Ginny replied, biting her bottom lip uncertainly. Sitting with her back against Harry’s side on the packed dirt of the clearing, her eyes darted into the quickly darkening nooks and underbrush, her ears listening intently as the leaves rustled with movement. Her skin prickled but Ginny wasn’t sure if it was due to the chilled dampness creeping up around them or her nerves.


“Well, it won’t be the first time I’ve spent time in here,” Harry observed, matter of factly.


“Hmm,” Ginny absentmindedly responded, her eyes never leaving the leaves.


“You know, I’ve heard it’s nice to travel with someone who’s been someplace before. They know the best places to eat, the nicest spots to sleep…”


Ginny looked over her shoulder at Harry. It took a moment for his words to make sense turning her confusion into a giggle. “Thank you, Harry.”


“For what?”


“For making me feel better about this,” Ginny waved her hands up at the trees before letting them fall to her sides.


“It’s part of the deal, Gin,” Harry replied.


“Some deal,” Ginny commented sarcastically. “So far, today alone, I’ve caused you enough intense pain that you can hardly walk and landed us in the middle of a forest infested with dangerous magical creatures.”


Harry chuckled. “I guess that leaves me a lot of room for living up to my end, doesn’t it?”


Ginny grinned. “We should get moving, Harry. Who knows? Maybe we’re not that far from the school grounds. Feel like walking?”


“No,” Harry answered honestly. “Help me up?”


“Sure thing,” Ginny answered, “that is, if I can get up.”


Pressing her palms against the earth, Ginny stiffly unfolded her body, groaning as her muscles rebelled against the movement. Gritting her teeth against the aches in her limbs, Ginny leaned down. Harry reached up and grasped Ginny’s forearms. Awkwardly, Ginny pulled as Harry struggled to shut out the fire shooting through his veins as he stood. Upright, Harry breathed heavily, his hands clamped around Ginny’s arms for stability, his eyes focused on his shoes. Ginny felt a hysterical giggle well up from inside her. Harry felt her trembling and looked up.


“What’s so funny?”


“Look at us,” she choked, “we’re like two old people, hunched over and hanging on so we don’t fall over.”


“I won’t let go if you don’t,” Harry grinned weakly.


“Sounds good,” Ginny smiled.


“Hey, Ginny?” Harry asked, “in all that stuff Madam Pompfrey sent you for dueling practice, there wasn’t anything you could conjure up now to help us out, is there?”


Ginny shook her head. “I don’t think I should try anything, Harry. Catarina was pretty adamant about seeking help if something went wrong. I don’t know what kind of internal damage occurred. I’d hate to make it worse by trying anything.” Harry nodded as Ginny continued apologetically. “We haven’t started working on how I go about working with your blood. Catarina was concerned that we get the bonding done first. We were leaving the healing part for later. Maybe she can come up to school and work on it with me there,” Ginny shrugged. “Now, could I have one of my hands? I’m going to cast a Four-Point spell to see which way to head.”


“Right” Harry said, unclamping his hand from around Ginny’s wrist.


“Point me!” Ginny commanded her wand. “Well, this way is north,” Ginny said, looking in the direction her wand indicated. “Hogwarts should be to the west, I think,” she mused. A shiver traveled down her spine as she could swear the shadows shifted in front of her. Taking a deep breath, she straightened her shoulders and turned to Harry. “Shall we?”


“Let’s go,” Harry agreed. He slowly reached for his wand in his pocket. Raising it, he muttered, “Lumos.” His wand light flickered from stronger to weaker before being extinguished with a “Pop!”


“Huh,” Harry grunted. Lifting his wand up again, Harry opened his mouth to repeat the spell, but Ginny placed her hand on his arm. Harry could feel a warm tingling where she touched him.


“Harry, I think you should probably save your energy. Your magic will return when you’re feeling better.”


Harry blinked at her. “That sounded…”


“Exactly like something Catarina would say,” Ginny agreed, grinning. “Probably because it is. Let me do this.”


Holding up her wand, she said, “Lumos.”


Leaning on each other, Harry and Ginny began to head in the direction of the castle. Two things became quickly apparent to Ginny: first, they were pretty deep into the forest - the vegetation thick, and hard to traverse. Secondly, Ginny realized while she was suffering from a throbbing soreness throughout her body, Harry was combating intense pain, as if the Cruciatus Curse had been trapped within his blood and wasn’t escaping. She knew he was trying not to, but with each step, Harry leaned into her more. She listened to his breathing - heavy and ragged -and felt his grip on her arm become tighter. They didn’t speak, all of their energies focused on forward motion. Ginny knew they wouldn’t get far tonight.


The moonlight filtered through the treetops, mixing with the light from Ginny’s wand and painting the forest floor with an eerie white glow. When the brush became too thick, Ginny performed cutting charms to create a pathway for them. She was surprised to feel a trickle of sweat run down the side of her face. The night air was cool and damp, but the effort of holding up Harry, ignoring her own discomfort and keeping her mind focused on the task at hand and not the unseen creatures that were watching their progress was exhausting.


Ginny had no idea how long they had been stumbling through the forest when the light from her wand bounced off something silvery and shiny. Ginny gasped and jerked backwards, dragging Harry with her. Harry hissed at the sudden movement.


“Sorry,” Ginny croaked. “I thought I saw something.”


Harry grunted, his chin resting on his chest. Taking a deep breath, Ginny leaned forward and held out her wand. The light flickered as her hand shook. Ginny squinted and moved the wand to the right and left. She snorted.


“Huh?” Harry asked, his breathing heavy, his eyes closed.


“I’ve found us someplace to stay for the night,” Ginny said quietly, tightening her grip on Harry’s waist.


Harry concentrated on opening his eyes so he could look at what Ginny’s wand was illuminating. He would have grinned if he could have. Overgrown with vines, covered in leaves and fallen limbs, splattered with dried mud and debris, Mr. Weasley’s old Ford Anglia sat in the middle of the Forbidden Forest, as if it were waiting for someone to take one last ride.


+++++



Nathan stood in the garden at the Burrow, staring at the kitchen door. He knew he must look a fright - his robes were torn, his knee was bleeding through his torn trousers, his skin was scraped and burned; but he knew the physical scars would heal quite a bit faster than the dull, throbbing ache where his heart used to be. It didn’t matter if it was what she had wanted; he had brought her death to her. He would know that for the rest of his life. Perhaps this was what it took to be a member of his family “ you had to possess a guilt ridden secret to carry to your grave.


Wrapped around Harry and Ginny’s bags, his arms began to ache. Setting the bags down, Nathan rested his hands in the small of his back and stretched. His eyes traveled to the sky which was turning from the blue of summer days to the pink of summer nights. He knew what Dumbledore had said was right: it was what his mother had wanted. But that didn’t make it any easier.


They had sat at the kitchen table in her cottage, hands wrapped around mugs, enjoying the sounds of the summer night. Harry and Ginny were off stargazing. ‘Getting a jump on Astronomy homework,’ Ginny had said as Harry pulled her out the door. He and his mother had shared a grin over that. Nathan was young enough to remember ‘Astronomy homework.’


“Ella Simmons,” Catarina commented.


“Who?” Nathan said, his eyes focusing on his mother’s smile.


“Ella Simmons. That’s who you first worked on ‘astronomy homework’ with.”


Nathan thought for a moment. “No, actually it was Elizabeth White, but I don’t think you ever met her. Ella was the second.”


“Oh!” Catarina laughed, “I see. My son, the heart throb!”


Nathan chuckled, his face flushing pink at his mother’s teasing. “Well, I knew I couldn’t bring just anyone home. Whoever I brought home had to be as good as you, and that was, and still is, hard to find.”


Catarina snorted. “You always could talk your way out of practically anything, Nathan.”


“Thank you,” he said smiling.


“Why haven’t you married, Nathan?” Catarina asked, cocking her head to the side.


“I told you, Mother. No one is as good as you.”


Catarina rolled her eyes. “That’s a load of rubbish, and you know it.”


Nathan’s grin disappeared as he tapped this fingers together. “Seriously?”


“Seriously.”


Nathan paused, his thoughts swirling around his past. Perhaps it was time to share part of it with his mother. He owed her that much.


“I did get married when I was overseas,” Nathan admitted quietly, keeping his eyes focused on his tea.


Catarina watched her son trace the cracks running through the ceramic mug with his fingers. The slump of his shoulders, the downcast eyes, the tone of his voice told her this was something he kept close to his heart for reasons of his own.


“What was her name?” Catarina asked softly.


“Anna Patterson.”


Catarina mentally turned the name over in her mind. Anna Patterson, her daughter-in-law. It was a good strong name that spoke of no-nonsense stability mixed with femininity. She liked it. Instinctively, she knew she would have liked the person who went with it, too.


“Was she a Curse Breaker?” Catarina asked, recalling the discussion they had had with Ginny about her career choices.


“Yes, she’s a curse breaker.”


Catarina’s head jerked up. “Is?”


Nathan nodded, knowing the question that was coming next.


“Where is she?”


“I don’t know,” Nathan said, meeting his mother’s eyes.


For the past several weeks, Catarina had had the feeling Nathan was scarred. Now, looking deep into her son’s eyes, she knew she had been right. Her son ran deep, but certain depths had been locked up, only to be revealed to the proper person. Reaching out, Catarina covered one of Nathan’s hands with her own and squeezed. Nathan looked at their hands, his mother’s comforting one on top of his, and realized if anyone would understand, it would be her.


“You would have liked her,” he said softly.


“I know I would have,” Catarina agreed.


The sounds of the summer night swirled around them as they fell into a comfortable silence. Catarina took a sip of her cooling tea and set the mug down, watching the tan colored liquid slosh from side to side. It was time to tell him.


“Nathan?”


“Hmm?”


“There is a way to ensure Tom can never bond with Ginny.”


Nathan looked up slowly. “What do you mean?” he asked, afraid he might already know the answer.


“I could perform an Obliteration Charm.”


“No,” Nathan answered harshly.


“It’s not your decision to make, Nathan.”


“No, you can’t do that. If you do that, it means you di-“


“It means a young girl is saved from horrible possibilities. It means no one will ever have to do what I did. No one will have to experience wha-“


“How can you be so selfish?” Nathan ground out. “This isn’t about you or your need to pay back a debt you believe you owe.”


“How can you be so selfish, Nathan?” Catarina asked coldly. “It’s not as if I can go broadcast what I’ve done or am going to do. I am simply doing this so he cannot use Ginny as he used me. Ever.”


Nathan clenched his jaw as his hands formed fists on either side of his mug. Neither of them was right, but neither was wrong either. He knew he was being selfish. He didn’t want to loose something he had just found again.


“Nathan, I would do anything to keep those two young people safe. We are at war. I may not be the best read witch around, but I hear rumors. The Death Eaters are coming closer. The attacks are getting worse. They aren’t discriminating between Muggles or wizarding folk. In times of war, people do what has to be done. This,” Catarina said, jabbing her finger at the surface of her kitchen table, “this needs to be done.”


Nathan saw the fire in his mother’s eyes and heard the truth in her voice. He could feel the prickling of tears behind his eyes. He swallowed.


“Have you talked to Dumbledore?” he asked.


Catarina nodded.


“When will you…”


“I don’t know,” she said, shaking her head. “When the opportunity arises.” Catarina stood up to take her mug to the sink. Reaching for Nathan’s, she stopped, her hand in mid-air. “Nathan?”


“Yes,” he said, looking up at her.


“Promise me you won’t blame yourself should you be involved.” Catarina’s eyes darted to his forearm.


Nathan breathed deep. “I can’t promise that, Mother, but I’ll try.”


“And one more thing. Take care of Chehalis.”


Nathan snorted. “Chehalis doesn’t like me much,” he admitted, glancing over at the cat curled on the rug in front of the door.


“No, I suppose not,” Catarina admitted, smiling at her companion. “He’s a Mediator’s cat. Don’t worry, he’ll find another. You won’t be saddled with him too long.”



Nathan felt a warm hand on his shoulder and he turned to see Dumbledore standing beside him, Chehalis tucked in his arms. Nathan bent down, picked up the bags at his feet, and followed the Headmaster toward the door.


++++



“Diffindo!”


Ginny cut away at the vines that bound the old Ford. Behind her, Harry slouched against the trunk of a tree.


“I’m almost done, Harry,” Ginny assured him, talking to fill the space between them. She tore at the vines as she cut them, wondering briefly if the vines were what was holding this old car together. Tearing the last of them away from the back door, Ginny grabbed the door handle and tugged. It didn’t move. Huffing, she dug in and took hold of the handle with both hands. Closing her eyes in an effort to block out the throbbing in her shoulders, Ginny heaved with all her weight, the door handle coming off in her hands. Stumbling backwards, she lost her balance and landed with a thump at Harry’s feet. Ginny swore under her breath.


“Why don’t you try your wand?” Harry asked, his voice raspy in the night air.


Ginny opened her mouth to answer and snapped it shut. “Right,” she answered, standing up. Pointing her wand at the door, she cast the first spell that came to mind.


“Reducto.”


Ginny jumped as the car door blasted out of the way. Perhaps overkill, she thought, but certainly effective. Moving to Harry’s side, Ginny hooked her arm around his waist and felt him transfer his weight from the tree to her. Stumbling forward, Ginny helped Harry duck into the back seat first then climbed in next to him. Ginny’s hand brushed Harry’s arm. His skin was cold and clammy. Raising her wand, she performed a warming charm instantly raising the temperature of the car to a comfortable level. Turning to see if that was acceptable, Ginny smiled tentatively at Harry. His head was resting on the window, his glasses skewed, his eyes closed. She watched his chest rise and lower, rise and lower.

“Harry?” she whispered.


He didn’t reply. He was fast asleep. Ginny’s eyes prickled with unshed tears as she watched him sleep. She wouldn’t let herself cry them now, though. When we get to school, she told herself. Ginny snuggled down into the seat and closed her own eyes. Minutes later, the healing power of sleep claimed her.


++++


It might have been minutes or hours, Ginny wasn’t sure. All she knew was she had woken up being thrown on top of Harry as the car leaned precariously to one side. Harry grunted as she tried to push off him. Suddenly the car tilted the opposite direction, sending Harry and her careening across the backseat. Ginny caught herself on the car frame, barely hanging on as Harry crashed into her. The car stopped moving for a moment and Ginny could have sworn she heard…thunder? Suddenly the car started jerking up and down, as if a rope had been attached to the top and the car was someone’s child plaything.


“What the ““ Harry yelped, as his head hit the car roof.


“Ow!” Ginny cried out as the car returned to the back-and-forth, side-to-side pitching.


”GRAWP! Leave the car alone!”


Rubbing her shoulders, Ginny blinked at Harry, her heart leaping. Harry winced and smiled at the same time.


“Hagrid!” They both exclaimed right before the car started the up-and-down bouncing again.


“HAGRID!” Ginny yelled, bracing herself between the front seat and the backseat.


“GRAWP?” they heard Hagrid exclaim. “Grawp, was that yeh?”


The car stopped. Not wasting any time, Ginny scrambled out of the back seat.


“Hagrid!” she yelled, waving her arms wildly above her head as her feet met the ground.


Looking up, she saw Grawp looking down at her.


“Girllee?” Grawp said.


“Grawp! What are yeh doin’? Leave that ol’ ca- Merlin’s beard!” Hagrid said, jumping back in surprise at the sight of Ginny. “Ginny Weasley? What are yeh doin’ here? In the back o’ your da’s ol’ car?”



“Hagrid!” Ginny said, dodging around Grawp’s tree trunk legs. “Are we ever glad to see you! Are we close to school?”


“We? Yeh got company?”


“Harry’s here, too.”


“Harry? Get out o’ the way, Grawp!” Hargrid pushed his way around his half-brother and stuck his head inside the car. “Blimey, Harry! What happen’ ter yeh?”


“Long story, Hagrid,” Harry said, struggling to push himself out of the car.


“ ‘ere, let me ’elp,” Hagrid said, setting down his crossbow and putting his arm around Harry’s shoulders and pulling him upright. “Wha’ happened ter you?” he repeated.


“Uh, well,” Ginny stared, catching Harry’s eye briefly. “We were staying at Professor Borgin’s cottage for a few weeks.”


“Oh, yeah,” Hagrid nodded. “Dumbledore, he told me about that. Some sort a blood ceremony to protect the two of yeh.”


Ginny nodded. “We were in the middle of the bonding and Lucius Malfoy interrupted us. Professor Borgin held him off until we could get away.”


“’ow’d yer end up ‘ere?” Hagrid asked, looking confused.


“We Apparated,” Harry said, rolling his shoulders back. He was somewhat relieved to find the intense burning pain had started to subside into dull thudding ache which proved to be slightly more manageable.


Hagrid’s beard twitched as he raised his eyebrows at Ginny.


“Well, I was learning, just in case,” Ginny flushed. “Unfortunately, my aim is still a little off. Harry was hurt and I wanted to get him help. This was the closest I could get us to Hogwarts.”


Hagrid turned to Harry. “’ow bad do yeh ‘urt, Harry?”


“I feel as if I’ve been trampled by a herd of hippogriffs, but I’ll live,” Harry said, grinning weakly at his friend.


“Do yer wan’ Grawp to carry yeh?” Hagrid asked, glancing over at his half-brother. Grawp at the present was pulling up a nearby dead tree trunk with a circumference of a small Muggle wading pool. Harry watched as he lifted it in his massive hands and broke it in two.


“Uh, no, that’s alright,” Harry said wincing. “If we’re not terribly far, I think I’ll try walking.”


Hagrid grinned at Harry. “Alrigh’. Tell me when yer gettin’ tired an’ we’ll rest a bit. ‘ave yeh eaten anything?”


“No!” Ginny answered, her hand clenching her stomach.


Harry almost contradicted her, his stomach rebelling at the thought of Hagrid’s rock cakes. But he kept his mouth shut, knowing he needed his energy to make it back to school.


Hagrid swung the battered brown leather satchel he had strapped across his chest around to the front of his body. Unbuckling the buckles, he lifted the flap and reached in, pulling out a handful of what looked like dried fruit and nuts. Reaching behind him, Hagrid pulled a wineskin over his head and handed it to Ginny.


“It’s jus’ Pumpkin Juice,” Hagrid assured her as she looked at the bag uncertainly.


“Oh! Thanks, Hagrid,” Ginny said gratefully, removing the cork and tipping it into her mouth. When she was done, she passed it to Harry.


Munching on a handful of nuts, Ginny took a good look around at where they were. Even though she assumed it was morning by the few pin points of sun breaking through the tree branches, there wasn’t much more light this morning than there was last night.


“Exactly how far from school are we, Hagrid?” she asked.


“Well, see ‘ere, Grawp and I set out yesterday mornin’ righ’ after breakfast. We made camp after sunset and have been walkin’ now, fer abou’ an hour.” Hagrid looked west and scratched his beard. “Probably abou’ a day’s walk.”


Ginny grinned, feeling a giggle about to erupt from her middle. She couldn’t help it. They were only a day or so from Hogwarts and they had been found. Ginny threw herself at Hagrid and hugged him.


“Oh, well, now, there,” Hagrid said gruffly, looking at Harry who grinned at him.


“Don’t worry, Hagrid, you get used to it after a while,” Harry joked weakly.


“Righ’,” Hagrid said as he felt Ginny release her stronghold on him.


“So, Harry,” Ginny said, smiling brightly at him, “you ready?”


“Yeah,” Harry replied, pushing himself off the car. Putting his right foot forward, Harry wobbled as the muscles in his legs stiffly stretched. His arms flailed as he tried to balance himself. Hagrid quickly caught one arm and hoisted Harry up, holding him to his side.


“Migh’ need to make it two days walk,” Hagrid said grinning down at Harry.


Harry chuckled. “Right!”


“Come on, Grawp!” Hagrid shouted over his shoulder. “We’re headed this way.”


Grawp looked at the boulder grasped between his hands and shrugged his shoulders. Turning to follow his brother, he ambled behind the slow moving group.


“An’ leave the boulder, Grawp,” Hagrid directed.


Grawp sighed. Without looking, he tossed it over his shoulder and continued walking. Everyone jumped as the rock met metal, crushing through the roof of the Ford Anglia.


++++


The smile that had spread across Molly’s face as she opened the door quickly faded. “Nathan! You’re hurt. Albus, is that a cat? What are you doing here? Where are Harry and Ginny? Are they alright?”


“Hello, Molly,” Dumbledore greeted as he entered the burrow, struggling to hold onto the cat in his arms. Having suffered the indignity of Apparation, Chehalis pushed off Dumbledore’s chest and flew onto the kitchen table. Standing still for a moment, nose and tail in the air, Chehalis took one look around the room, spied the staircase and leapt down. Without a look back, the cat padded up the stairs and disappeared.


“Is anyone else at home?” the Headmaster asked.


“Ron and Hermione are upstairs doing homework. Otherwise, no, everyone else is out. What’s happened?” she asked, her hands beginning to twist in her apron. “Where are Harry and Ginny?”


“We don’t know,” Nathan answered flatly.


For a split second, horror stunned Molly into silence before she erupted and flew at Nathan. “WHAT?” she shrieked, grabbing the front of his tattered robes and dragging him down. “WHAT DID YOU DO TO THEM?”


“MOLLY!” Dumbledore intervened. The sheer power and volume in her name made Molly spring back from Nathan, her hands releasing the fistfuls of robe she had snared. “It’s not his fault.”


“Yes, it is,” Nathan insisted. “It is my fault.” Nathan held up his hand as he saw Dumbledore open his mouth to contradict. “I’m not talking about my mother’s death, Albus.”


“What?” Hermione asked as she entered the kitchen. “Catarina’s dead?”


“What’s Catarina’s cat doing on Ginny’s bed?” Ron asked as he stopped behind Hermione.


“Catarina’s dead, Ron,” Hermione said, placing her hand on his arm.


“Maybe it’s for the best,” Ron said snidely, glancing at Nathan.


“Ronald!” Hermione and Molly said in unison.


“Mum! You don’t know the half of it! That witch bond-“


“Ron!” Nathan cut in harshly. “It’s my story. Let me tell it.”


Ron’s face flushed as he clamped his mouth shut.


Nathan took a deep breath and dropped the bags at his feet. His voice cracked slightly. “After Ron and Hermione left this afternoon, I brought Lucius Malfoy and Tom Riddle to my mother’s home. Har ““


“YOU BROU “ “


“HARRY and Ginny,” Nathan continued over Molly’s outburst, “had been sent to perform the Blood Bond.”


“I don’t understand,” Hermione interrupted. “The cottage was protected. What happened to the wards?”


“I altered the wards,” Nathan answered quietly.


“YOU ALTERED THE WARDS?” Molly flared.


“I had to.”


“No, no, NO YOU DIDN’T” Ron exploded, pushing past Hermione.


“YES, HE DID!” Dumbledore roared, his voice vibrating off the kitchen walls. Human movement stopped in the kitchen as all eyes turned to the Headmaster. “Please, let Nathan finish.”


Nathan cleared his throat. “Harry and Ginny were sent to perform the bonding ceremony,” he repeated. “My mother stayed behind to face…him.” Nathan’s eyes roamed the room, touching on the clock, the beams in the ceiling, the top of the door jam. “My mother’s bond was Tom Riddle.”


Molly gasped and sputtered. “Your mo-mother and he “ he “ he “ “ Molly shook her head, her breathing coming in short, heaving pants. “YOU KNEW THIS BEFORE?” Suddenly it dawned on her who else knew and whirled to face Dumbledore. “Albus!” she said shocked. “How could you do this to us?”


Dumbledore sighed heavily. “Molly, this was the right thing to do.”


“Right thing? RIGHT THING?”


“Molly ““


“You knew! YOU KNEW AND YOU STILL LET HIM TAKE GINNY AND HARRY? THEY COULD BE HURT! OR WORSE!”


“I’m sure they’re fine, Molly,” Dumbledore assured. “Ginny’s a bright, strong witch ““


“SHE’S A CHILD, ALBUS! A CHILD!”


“She’s an accomplished Mediator, Molly,” Dumbledore corrected.


“Don’t you DARE say that word in my home,” Molly hissed. “I should have never let her go.”


“Yes, you should have. This will protect her and Harry.”


Hermione nervously cleared her throat and stepped forward. “Nathan, what happened to your mother?”


“My mother was able to perform what is called an Obliteration Charm at the moment Voldemort killed her,” Nathan interrupted. “He will not be able to bond again.”


“Did Harry and Ginny complete the bond?” Hermione asked anxiously.


Nathan shook his head. “The ceremony was interrupted.”


“By who?” Ron asked.


“Lucius Malfoy.”


“LUCIUS MALFOY?” Molly shrieked, her fury turning her into a maternal tornado. “YOU COULD HAVE GOTTEN THEM OUT OF THERE. THEY WERE YOUR RESPONSIBILITY!”


“I KNOW!” Nathan roared back.


“Where are Harry and Ginny?” Hermione broke in desperately.


“They escaped,” Nathan barked, breathing heavily.


“Where?” Hermione pushed.


Nathan sighed, pressing his palm to the throbbing pain gathering above his right eye. “I don’t know.”


“What do you mean you don’t know? HOW CAN YOU NOT KNOW?” Molly screeched incredulously.


“They Apparated,” Hermione deduced.


“GINNY CAN’T APPARATE!” Molly cried hysterically.


“Yes, she can,” Ron answered. “Well, sort of.”


“Harry was teaching her how to Apparate,” Hermione explained apologetically to Molly. Seeing the shock and anger building in Molly, she hurried on. “Just in case she would need to get away quickly.”


Molly’s chest heaved as she changed focus, her eyes shooting flames at the man she knew was at fault for all of this.


“Get out,” she said coldly to Nathan, her finger pointing at the door.


“Molly ““ Dumbledore started.


Molly shook her head, her finger shaking at the exit, “Don’t ‘now Molly’ me, Albus! You brought him into the Order. You brought him into this family. It is because of him my daughter went off to perform some idiotic ceremony. It is because of him my daughter and Harry are Merlin only knows where in what sort of state. No, Albus, I’ve had enough of him and you for right now. GET OUT!”


Somewhere in the back of Nathan’s mind he could fully comprehend Molly’s anger and fear, but he was past being rational. Nathan clenched his fists in his robes, his nostrils flaring. He straightened his shoulders and stepped forward so he was toe to toe with Molly Weasley.


“I apologize for not fully disclosing the nature of my mother’s relationship with Tom Riddle. However, I will never apologize for trying to provide protection for your daughter and Harry. My mother died protecting Harry and Ginny. She gave her life ensuring Voldemort would never be able to use either one of them like she had been used.


“And whether you like it or not,” Nathan growled, “I will do everything in my power to make sure Harry and Ginny are able to complete their bond because in the end, their love very well might save us all.”


With that, Nathan pulled his robes around him, brushed past a stunned Molly Weasley and out the kitchen door.


++++


Harry rolled over on the hard ground and felt a rock bite into his back. Or at least he thought he did. It was hard to tell with all the other twinges tingling throughout his body. The tremors rumbling the ground beneath him didn’t help either. Harry glanced toward the epicenter of the quakes. Grawp and Hagrid lay head to head, mouths open, snores reaching the tree tops. He shifted to his side, wincing as he placed his weight on his shoulder.


“Hey,” Ginny said softly, turning over to face him. “How are you doing?”


“I’m fine,” Harry replied automatically, his jaw clenched as he bent his knees.


“Uh-huh,” Ginny replied in a sarcastic whisper. “Me, too. Never better.”


“Good,” Harry yawned, blinking sleepily.


“I think we made good progress today,” Ginny said, resting her head on her elbow.


Harry grunted as his eyelids drifted close.


Despite having Grawp clearing their path, covering much ground through the Forbidden Forest had been difficult. Trudging along, Harry had felt like he’d run one of those Muggle marathons and not stretched properly after. He shuffled more than he walked, mentally cursing the roots in his path that demanded he find the strength to pick up his feet in order to go over them. Hagrid had found a stick for Harry to use as a sort of crutch, wrapping one of his tea towel size handkerchiefs around the top of it for padding.


Recovery wise, Ginny had been in better shape than him but still favored her right side. As they walked, it occurred to Harry that the curse would have traveled out of her into him through her right hand, where her cut was currently hidden under half a bandana. Hagrid had followed Grawp, occasionally having to redirect him back when the rustling of leaves or a particularly interesting rock distracted him from his trailblazing duties.


They had made camp as the sun set. Dinner had been dug from Hagrid’s bag. Hagrid then lent Ginny and Harry his coat to sleep under. Ginny had insisted on performing a warming charm over all of them and Hagrid hadn’t refused. In fact, Harry had noticed, Hagrid had seemed somewhat touched, getting all flustered as Ginny had checked to make sure he was warm and cozy.



Harry felt Ginny pull the collar of Hagrid’s coat around his shoulders as sleep finally claimed him.


Several hours later, the first rays of weak morning sun poking through the leaves, Harry found himself trudging along behind Ginny. Even sleeping in the cupboard under the stairs had been more comfortable than the few hours of slumber he had managed to get during the night. What surprised him most, though, was with every hour, he felt a little more like himself. Not that he wouldn’t be happy to see Madam Pompfrey, but at least he was pretty confident the damage he had suffered was temporary. Looking up, he saw Ginny standing in the middle of the path in front of him.


“Ginny?” he asked, stopping behind her. “Are you okay?”


Ginny swallowed and nodded slightly. “It “ it’s…”


Harry looked in the direction Ginny was facing as her voice trailed off. They were standing just outside the clearing where Lucius Malfoy had attempted to perform the immortality spell.


“It’s so…empty,” Ginny whispered.


Staring at the hard dirt floor, Harry remembered that night: Ginny, lying on the ground, not moving, her arm bleeding. He shuddered and felt Ginny’s hand reach for his, a warmth spreading up his arm. Ginny tugged at his hand.


“Come on,” she said. “Let’s keep going.”


Harry was turning to look at Ginny when he saw movement, a flash of black followed by a howl of rage.


“GRAWP!” Hagrid bellowed. “HARRY! GINNY!”


Ginny and Harry dove behind a nearby stump. Harry hissed as he landed. Ginny pulled her wand from her pocket and scrambled up.


“Two Death Eaters,” Ginny gasped. “I see two Death Eaters.”


“Where’s Hagrid?” Harry said angrily, feeling completely helpless.


Ginny pointed her wand at one of the Death Eaters.


“EXPELLIARMUS!” she shouted.


The flash of scarlet light radiating from Ginny’s wand hit the Death Eater squarely in his chest, blasting him into the tree trunk directly behind him, his wand flying.


The second Death Eater whirled around. A bludgeoning spell blasted into the stump, splinters and bark flying. Harry pulled his wand from his pocket and aimed.


“No!” Ginny said frantically to him. “You can’t, Harry!”


“What do you expect me to do? Just sit here?” Harry growled.


“For now, yeah!” Ginny replied, leaning out to point her wand. “STUPEFY!” she shouted. The second death eater dodged the stunning spell, diving to the ground behind a log.


Harry leaned to the side, pointing his wand toward the log.


“HARRY!” Ginny cried.


Harry opened his mouth to send a bludgeoning spell in the direction of the death eater when Grawp exploded through the underbrush, Hagrid right behind him. The Death Eater behind the log pointed his wand toward Hagrid as Grawp reached over the log, hoisting him up under his arms and tossing him into the middle of the clearing. He landed with sickening thud. Harry could hear him gasping for breath amidst the dust clouding up around him.


Pushing against the tree he’d landed against, the first Death Eater struggled to his feet. Ginny scrambled forward and aimed.


“EXPELLIARMUS!”


The Death Eater blasted back into the tree trunk again. Ginny glanced toward the second Death Eater in the clearing. He wasn’t there. She couldn’t see him anywhere. Panting, Ginny whirled around as she heard a crash through the underbrush behind her. The Death Eater lunged through the brush at Harry. Harry pointed his wand.


“EXTUNDO!”


Harry’s wand ignited and fizzled, the bludgeoning spell burning out before it even left, Harry falling back against the stump from the effort. The Death Eater laughed as he dove.


“NO!” Hagrid bellowed, pulling back his cross bow.


As Hagrid fired, Ginny spun to face the first Death Eater who groggily held up his wand. With a “Pop!” he was gone. Breathing heavily, Ginny turned and looked down at the Death Eater at her feet, the end of the arrow from Hagrid’s crossbow sticking out an odd angle from under him. Ginny didn’t hear Hagrid come up behind her.


“Is ‘e dead?”


Ginny swallowed and nodded. She felt Hagrid’s hands rest on her shoulders and turn her away.


“I’m sorry yeh ‘ad to witness that,” Hagrid replied lowly.


Ginny nodded again as her eyes came to rest on Harry. Slowly, she fell to her knees and put her hand on Harry’s leg.


“Harry?” she spoke, her voice shaking slightly. “Harry, are you alright?”


Harry lay slumped against the tree stump, his eyes shut, his breathing labored. Ginny paled as she realized he’d slipped into unconsciousness. Ginny pushed herself off the ground.


“Hagrid, we need to get Harry to Madam Pomfrey quickly!”


“Grawp!” Hagrid called to his brother who was waving his hand through the air and staring at the spot where the first Death Eater had Disapparated from. “Come ‘ere. We need some ‘elp.”


Ginny watched as Grawp ambled over, looked at Harry and the Death Eater and scooped up Harry as easily as if he were a pillow.


“Easy, Grawp,” Hagrid cautioned as the giant adjusted Harry’s form in his arms and started off in the direction of the school grounds. Hagrid turned to look at Ginny.


“It’s going t’ be alrigh’,” Hagrid comforted her gruffly. He noticed Ginny’s eyes dart to the Death Eater. “I’ll come back fer him later.”


Ginny nodded, her face pale, her hands shaking. Suddenly, she turned and gave Hagrid a quick hug. “Thanks, Hagrid.”


Hagrid grunted as he felt Ginny’s arms squeeze him. “Yer welcome. Now come on. Let’s go.”


Ginny released Hagrid and smiled weakly at him before turning to hurry after Grawp and Harry.


++++



A/N “ Not my favorite chapter. I know it needed to be a transitional but I arrived at this point in my story and I just wanted them to get to school. And they do get to school next chapter. Thankfully!


As always, thanks to my betas, vmchemteach & Kissmegrint.
Lost and Found by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.




Lost & Found





Early morning sunlight filtered through the scrubbed windows of the Burrow, highlighting the stray dust particles dancing in its wake. Molly Weasley sat at the kitchen table, her hands wrapped around a half empty mug of tea, her eyes itchy and puffy, her insides hollow and numb. Chehalis sat in the middle of the table, staring at her.


She hadn’t slept last night, tossing and turning next to the snoring form of her husband. Finally, unable to quell the rolling anger at Arthur’s ability to slumber while things were so unsettled, she quietly sat up, pushed off the faded quilt and slipped her dressing gown on. Her slippers padded her footfalls as she made her way down the quiet hall. She stopped on the threshold of Ginny’s room, still empty except for the cat refusing to move from the end of the bed. Molly pushed the door open, the creaky hinges causing her to cringe at their loudness in the quiet of the night. As she shuffled in, Chehalis looked questioningly up at her.


Molly knew it was foolish to be angry at the cat, but she was. She couldn’t help it. That cat was a reminder of everything she had no control over anymore. Molly leaned down to scoop Chehalis up. She had no intention of letting that witch’s cat stay in her house. He could go sleep in the broom shed in the garden until tomorrow, when she would pack him up and send him to “ to “


Molly couldn’t even finish her thought as the tears began to stream down her cheeks. Her knees buckled as she dropped to Ginny’s bed, her hand letting go of Chehalis. Molly fell onto Ginny’s pillow, pressing the downy bulk to her face and drawing a ragged breath as the sobs began to build. Her baby was missing.


Molly lay there, her tears spreading into dark, damp circles on the soft, faded cotton pillowcase. Indifferent to her attitude toward him, Chehalis unceremoniously climbed over Molly’s trembling side. Butting his head against her chin, Molly shifted the pillow so her arm now bent at the elbow, leaving the cat a place to curl up and lean against her. Molly sniffled at the cat, indignation at Chehalis’ audacity rising in her throat. Curling her hand under the cat’s body in order to toss him off the bed, Molly stopped, feeling the fast beating feline heart under the fur. Involuntarily, she scratched the softness, her hand spreading into the fur soaking up its warmth. It was comforting. As her breathing slowed and her tears dried, something Catarina had said the night Ginny and Harry had left came back to her.


Molly had been arguing that no one in their right mind could ever want to become a Mediator. In the end it seemed so one sided. Catarina had listened from across the table and nodded.


“I cannot speak for Ginny,” Catarina replied softly. “But from what Nathan tells me of her, she is a very loving, selfless individual. Nathan tells me she and Harry share a very special relationship. My guess is to her, this is a gift, something she can give without expecting anything in return except the pleasure she knows from having done something that will benefit Harry.”


Molly rested her palm on Chehalis’ stomach, feeling it rise and lower as the cat breathed. Looking down at the cat, she drew a ragged breath and hiccupped. Blinking into the darkness, she found her eyes closing, listening to the rhythmic rumbles of purring.



Now, in the early morning hours, Molly stared at the unblinking cat sitting in the middle of the kitchen table. She realized she owed him some gratitude for the comfort he’d given her. For that, she wouldn’t put him in the broom shed tonight. After all, deep down, she knew Chehalis had now chosen Ginny so she’d probably be seeing more of him. But that still didn’t mean she had to like him.


Molly’s eyes followed Chehalis as he silently stretched, his tail reaching toward the ceiling, his head dipping low to the table. In one fluid movement, the cat jumped from the table to the window sill above the sink and hissed. Alarmed and surprised, Molly jumped, tea sloshing down her front as she got up and went to the window and pushed it open. Pig zoomed in through the crack. Chehalis batted at the hyper owl, back arched, tail alert. Molly couldn’t help but smile a little at the cat as Chehalis planted himself on the counter top below the cupboard Pig finally perched, his tail tapping just waiting for his chance.


“Oh, for Merlin’s sake!” Molly exclaimed, realizing Pig was refusing to come into reach. Pushing a chair over, Molly climbed up to untie the parchment on Pig’s leg. “Ron’s been looking for you,” she scolded the hyper owl who hopped from leg to leg making her task difficult. “He expected you back a while ago.”


Stepping down from the chair, Molly unfolded the parchment. Her face paled as she read the note. Her heart racing, Molly covered her mouth with her hand and blinked back tears of relief. Clutching the parchment in her fist, Molly looked at Chehalis and whispered, “She’s alright! They’re both alright!” With a flash, she spun toward the stairs.


“ARTHUR! ARTHUR! THEY’RE ALRIGHT! THEY’RE ALRIGHT!”


Running up the steps as fast as she could, waving the parchment over her head, Molly completely missed Chehalis’ glare from the counter that could only be read as, Well, I told you so.


++++


Ginny’s stomach rumbled as she walked stiffly through the afternoon sunbeams streaming through the castle windows toward the kitchen. Madam Pomfrey had deemed picking up a snack from the kitchen an excellent way to stretch her legs. Ginny wondered if the nurse had been working with Professor Borgin regarding Ancient Magic healing remedies when she added, “It gets the blood flowing! And as you know, blood flow is rather important.” After promising she would go straight to the kitchen and come straight back, Ginny tied the tie of her borrowed dressing gown around her waist and headed out of the hospital wing.


Ginny tickled the pear, entered the kitchen and looked around. From the end of the kitchen, a whirl of arms, legs and socks flew at her, tackling her around the knees and throwing her off balance.


“Ginny Wheezey! Dobby heard you were in the castle. And Harry Potter, too! Dobby is honored to see you and be of service to you!”


Ginny reached out to steady herself against the nearest long table and smiled down at the enthusiastic house elf who had glued himself to her knees.


“Uh, hi, Dobby,” Ginny said, leaning down and gently untangling herself from his grasp. “How are you?”


“Dobby is fine, Ginny Wheezey. You are too kind to ask! What can Dobby do for Ginny Weezey today?


“Well, I’m here for a snack. Madam Pomfrey thought it would be good exercise for me to come down and get a tray.”


Dobby’s smile reached from ear to ear as he started scurrying around the kitchen gathering fruit, bread and cheese and piling it on a tray. Ginny had to grin as she shifted the tray to get a better hold on it as she made her way back to the hospital wing. She knew Hermione’s heart was in the right place when it came to S.P.E.W., but it was hard to deny Dobby’s obvious pleasure and enthusiasm when it came to taking care of people, especially anyone connected to his Harry Potter.


Ginny pushed the door open to the Hospital Wing open with her shoulder and backed into the infirmary. Walking over to her bed, she carefully pushed Harry’s glasses to the side as she placed the tray on the table in between the beds. Harry slept in the bed next to hers. He was pale, but his breathing deep and even. Ginny watched him as she scooted up on her bed and reached out for the goblet of pumpkin juice.


“So, how are you feeling?” Madam Pomfrey asked as she walked up to the end of Ginny’s bed.


Ginny swallowed. “Good.”


Madam Pomfrey raised her eyebrows at her patient.


“A little stiff,” Ginny admitted honestly, “but much better than I did two days ago. How’s Harry?” she asked anxiously.


Poppy Pomfrey sighed and walked up the side of Harry’s bed. She studied her most frequent (and favorite, not that she’d tell anyone that) patient. Sighing, she patted the side of the bed next to Harry and turned to face Ginny.


“He needs his rest. As do you,” she said pointedly, turning toward her office.


“Madam Pomfrey?” Ginny asked, hopping down from her bed. Madam Pomfrey stopped and turned. “Do you know how badly he was hurt? I mean, is there a way to tell ““


“Miss Weasley, I cannot tell you any more. I need to confer with the Headmaster and Professor Borgin, both of whom are scheduled to arrive back at the castle ““


“Professor Borgin is alright?” Ginny interrupted anxiously. “Catarina said Professor Dumbledore thought he was missing, perhaps even with Vo-“


“Yes,” Madam Pomfrey broke in before Ginny could finish the name. “Yes, he is fine and will be back shortly. I will know more then. Presently, I can assure you Harry is resting comfortably. Now,” the nurse said briskly, “you need to eat and get some rest yourself.”


Ginny watched Madam Pomprey enter her office before turning to study Harry. Slowly, she climbed onto Harry’s bed, snuggling down next to him, resting her head on his shoulder, her hand fisted in the blankets covering him. She listened to his breathing, her vision beginning to blur with the tears that she had held at bay for the past two days.


“Oh, Harry,” she whispered into his shoulder, “I’m so sorry.”


+++++


Anna Patterson wiped her hands down the front of her shorts. Pulling a frayed blue bandana out of her back pocket, she mopped at the sweat that was beading up under her bangs. Throughout her life, she had always been envious of women who didn’t appear to perspire. Her father had told her sweating was a sign of health. It meant she was in good shape. Her mother told her it was unladylike and she needed to move slower. Anna sighed, shoved the bandana back into her pocket and surveyed her work.


It had taken six months but she had finally gotten around to it. Her co-worker Simon had said she needed to do it in order to move on. The truth was Anna wasn’t sure she wanted to move on. Moving on meant her parents were really dead, something she hadn’t been ready to admit. Six months ago, a ceiling in a tomb had crumbled on top of them, the structure spells not holding. Since then, she had opened the door to the flat above the street market every Monday morning. And every Monday morning, she would close the door behind her, not able to get past the flood of memories and emotions that washed over her when she stepped over the threshold.


Anna leaned her forehead against one of the packed boxes sitting in a stack, waiting to be sent to its new destination. Anna’s childhood was one most children dreamt of. She had had two loving parents, had never wanted for clothes or shelter, and had seen the world several times over. Her father had been a wonderful, supportive man, the kind of father who loved life and pursued it with everything he had. It had meant a nomadic lifestyle which fed into every girlhood fantasy Anna could dream up. She loved the adventure, the new locales every year or so, the exotic foods and faces. In the midst of all the change and excitement, her mother had tried her best to turn Anna into a lady, but Anna simply loved the dust and dirt too much. Being the flexible woman she was, Anna’s mother had instead poured her energy into Anna’s education, hoping deportment and proper etiquette would just come naturally. Unfortunately, Anna’s father had given her the nickname ‘Grace’ as a child much to her mother’s chagrin and it wasn’t because Anna had loads of it.


Anna straightened up and took a steadying breath. It was time to take one last look around the flat and say good bye to her mother and father. She walked through the empty rooms, running her finger across the dusty windowsills, touching the shelves that used to hold the mementos of her parents’ lives, remembering the two people who had loved her most. No, she thought sadly, stopping in front of the window overlooking the street. At one point in time, there had been another.


She turned, her back against the windowpane, her hands flattened on the window sill. She had never lived in this flat. In fact, her parents had only been here two years, which had been an extraordinarily long time for them. Yet, she could feel them here, around her, wanting to hold her, to keep her. To stifle her.


“You need to break free of them, Anna. You are your own person. You need to tell them that.”


Anna shook the voice in her head away. Even after all these years, she could still hear him, the truth in his words full of hurt and confusion because of her decisions. Pushing off the window sill, she walked to the back of the flat and into the now empty master bedroom. Giving the room a cursory once over, she was about to leave when her eye caught on a dark spot in the closet. Crossing the floor, she leaned down and saw a small black iron knob, close to the floor, on the back wall.


Kneeling on the floorboards, Anna crawled to the back of the closet and pulled. The door stuck. She pulled harder. It wouldn’t budge. Anna flattened her palm against the back wall, bracing herself, and gave the door one more yank. With the scraping of warped wood, the door gave way, sending Anna falling back onto the floorboards with an ungraceful thump. Anna raised her eyebrows to the ceiling, sure she could feel her mother rolling her eyes.


Getting back up on her knees and lighting her wand, Anna reached in and pulled out a battered gray metal box. There was a small key hole under the clasp on the front. Anna stared at it for a moment, her mind putting together the puzzle pieces. Then, she sat back and slowly reached under the collar of her shirt to pull out a silver chain, warmed from her skin, with a small key dangling at the bottom. Her father had given it to her on her eighteenth birthday. “The key to my heart,” he had told her, ruffling her hair. He had told her to wear it always and to never give it to anyone. He had said it was special, that it was the key to great things. She had giggled and told him his heart was safe with her. She had never thought to ask where ‘his heart’ was.


Anna extinguished her wand and placed it on the floor next to her knees. Holding the tarnished key in between her thumb and forefinger, Anna leaned forward and slipped it into the lock. She turned it and heard a click. Anna lifted the lid. Inside the box lay a folded piece of parchment with a broken wax seal on the back and a bundle of worn fabric. Lifting the two items out, she made sure the box was empty and set it aside. Setting the bundle on her knees, Anna carefully peeled back the pieces of threadbare fabric. Nestled in the middle was a tarnished key. Anna picked it up and held it to the light, studying the ornately carved loops at the top that narrowed to a circular inch long smooth rod. Anna knew what this was. It belonged to one of the shoebox-size safe boxes at Gringotts. The key was charmed to fit only into the one it was matched to. Wrapping the key back in the fabric, Anna placed it on the floor next to her feet and turned her attention to the letter. Anna carefully unfolded the parchment to reveal several paragraphs of neat, tidy feminine handwriting. She quickly scanned the words.


Dear Jonathon….Thank you for meeting with me…As we discussed, I would like very much if you would review my research…Your knowledge regarding protection spells is reknown…I have obtained a box and left you a copy as you suggested…I remember your daughter from school…


Anna’s eyes flew to the signature.


Lily Potter.


Anna bit her bottom lip. Her eyes drifted to the window, staring unseeingly through the dusty glass panes. Anna thought back to her year at Hogwarts. Her mother and father had been researching the tombs under one of those crumbling piles of rocks someone long ago used to call a castle and home. It had been the only time she had ever been away from her family. She had been miserable, but she remembered Lily Evans being kind to her when, as a fourth year student, she had been sorted into Gryffindor, showing her the school, sitting next to her in class, letting her borrow notes from previous years to help her catch up. Lily had even said Nathan seemed nice when he started hanging about.


Nathan. Her heart leapt at the thought of him. She had no idea where he was. She had heard, though, through various channels, his father had passed away last year. Perhaps he would have resurfaced after that. Perhaps his uncle would know where he was. If he was in London, perhaps she could see him “ to make sure he was alright. She swallowed, her eyes lighting up with excitement at the thought. She shivered, feeling as if a cold breeze was blowing through the August heat in the flat.


“Anna, he isn’t good enough for you! He’s been in Azkaban! His father is shifty, his mother is missing. I don’t care that you knew him at that school. You will get over him soon enough.”


Sighing, Anna looked back at the letter. She knew Lily married James and had a son. Well, of course, Anna thought, Lily and James Potter. Harry Potter. Anna looked down at the parchment. Why would Lily Potter have sent this to her father?


Anna carefully laid the wrapped up key on top of the parchment. She reached for her satchel and opened it. She withdrew the letter Gringotts had sent her and laid it on the table. She then placed the key and parchment into her satchel and closed it. Pulling her satchel toward her, she picked up the letter and the bag and walked straight to the door, turned the knob and opened it. Stepping onto the threshold, she turned to look at the flat, now only filled with a pile of the boxes the movers would deal with tomorrow under Simon’ supervision.


Anna raised her eyes to the ceiling. She now knew it wasn’t only time for her to let go. It was past time for her parents to let go of her as well.


“Good bye, Mum and Dad. I love you. But you were wrong about him.”


Giddy with a newfound freedom, she almost laughed as a burst of cold air slammed the door in her face.


+++++


“Good afternoon, Miss Weasley.”


Ginny looked up from Catarina’s notes. For lack of better things to do and in hopes of quieting the nagging doubts nibbling at the back of her mind, Ginny had been spending her time poring over the notes she had grabbed before making their escape. She smiled as Professor McGonagall briskly walked to the end of her bed.


“And how are you feeling?”


“Better, thank you,” Ginny replied.


“I understand Mr. Potter has made a turn for the better,” Minerva McGonagall commented, her eyes traveling over the still form of Harry.


“Uh, yeah,” Ginny replied. “Madam Pomfrey says his magical abilities have started to come back and he should wake up soon.”


“Very good.”


Ginny smiled slightly at the sound of relief in Professor McGonagall’s tone.


“In light of recent events and since school is going to be resuming in a few short days, Professor Dumbledore has suggested you remain here at school. If that is acceptable to you, I will send an owl to your home and make arrangements for your school things and books to be sent here.”


Surprised at the implication she had a choice in the matter, Ginny glanced over at Harry for guidance. A few days alone in Hogwarts with Harry sounded wonderful. If only he would wake up and tell her what he thought, she’d feel much better. Of course she missed her family, but for safety’s sake, perhaps this was best. Ginny nodded.


“Very well, I will send the appropriate owls,” Professor McGonagall said before reaching into the pocket of her robes. “One of the items that would normally be sent to your home is your O.W.L. scores. In light of the situation, Professor Dumbledore thought it best for you to receive them here.”


Ginny reached out for the parchment, her hand trembling slightly as eagerness and trepidation warred inside her. Unrolling the parchment, her eyes scanned the scores. Her cheeks puffed as she let out the breath she’d been holding. She could feel the blush creep up her cheeks as she looked up at Professor McGonagall.


“Congratulations, Miss Weasley.”


“Thank you, Professor,” Ginny grinned.


“Do you need anytime to consider your career options or have you something in mind?”


Ginny swallowed, her eyes darting to Harry’s face and back again. “I’d like to become a curse breaker.”


Professor McGonagall nodded. “I shall contact Flourish & Blotts for the appropriate texts,” she said as she turned to exit.


Ginny read the parchment in her hands again. Her smile spread from ear to ear as she flopped backwards, landing on her pillow. She kicked her feet up in the air, giggling.


“Good news?” a raspy voice came from the bed next to her.


Ginny’s head whipped around. “Harry!”


“Yeah,” Harry croaked, his eyes fluttering shut again.


Ginny scrambled off her bed and perched on the side of Harry’s. “Harry?” she whispered.


Harry grunted, his eyes closed.


Ginny leaned down and kissed Harry softly before snuggling down next to him. She felt Harry’s groan under her cheek as he shifted his arm to pull her closer. Closing her eyes, Ginny breathed freely for the first time in several days.


++++


Anna Patterson stood at the bottom of the steps leading up to the front doors of Gringotts. Some things don’t change, she thought. These steps still took her breath away in all their polished stone glory. The last time she had stood on this spot was her first day of work for Gringotts. She had stared in awe as the uniformed doorman opened the bronze front doors. Walking through them, she had stood for a moment, memorizing the warning to thieves and knew she had made the right decision. As a harried witch bumped into her shoulder, Anna returned to the present, realizing she was doing her best impression of a rock in a moving stream, and moved to rejoin the flow of witches and wizards on their way into the financial institution.


Anna paused in the large hall, enjoying the slight chill that radiated off the marble. It had been many years since she had been here. Her co-worker Simon had wondered if it had been too many. She had tried to explain to him that it was necessary. He had shrugged his shoulders and said she was mental to go back for a desk job. Unfortunately, Simon had an uncanny knack of being right most of the time.


As she made her way to the long counter, Anna noticed heads turn to stare. Self-consciously, she eyed the other bank customers, dressed in their robes, going about their business. She felt her face flush as she caught her reflection in the polished marble of the countertop. The worn straw hat that did a mediocre job at best at keeping her freckles at bay in the hot desert sun sat askew on the top of her head. Strands of unruly brown curls stuck out at odd angles from under the brim. She quickly reached up and straightened it before untying the knot securing a ragged red bandana around her neck. Shoving the cloth in her satchel by her feet, Anna took inventory of her crumpled white traveling shirt and wrinkled khakis. In her mind she could hear her mother’s voice as if it had been yesterday.


”Anna Elizabeth Patterson! You are hopeless! You can break charms that have baffled hundreds of wizards for thousands of years but you can’t seem to remember a simple ironing charm? Honestly!”


On a positive note, though, her boots gleamed up at her, respectable and polished as she had only purchased them yesterday at the outdoor market her parents’ flat overlooked. A recent tourist had traded them in for a more suitable pair of sand shoes and the merchant had been only too willing to sell them to her at a good price.


Anna snorted. I’ve got to quit listening to the voices in my head.


“Pardon?” a voice inquired from the other side of the counter.


Anna’s head jerked up. “Oh. My. Did I say that out loud?” Anna asked, flushing at her gaffe.


“May I help you?” the goblin asked, looking slightly perturbed at Anna’s apparent mental instability.


“Uh, yes,” she said, chiding herself for the nervousness she felt bubbling up inside. “I’m here to see Slavoff.”


Anna withdrew a folded piece of parchment from her shirt pocket and handed it to the Goblin. After reading it, he looked up and motioned to her with one of his long, knobby fingers.


“Follow me.”


Curious eyes followed Anna and her guide as she was lead around the end of the counter and through a door marked Gringott Goblins and Authorized Witches and Wizards ONLY. The Goblin stopped at the first door on the left and waved his hand. Anna heard the lock click and door silently glide open.


“You may wait here. Someone will be with you shortly.”


“Th “ thank you,” Anna called to the Goblin’s retreating back. Anna quickly pulled herself into the room to avoid having the door, which was magically closing, hit her in the head. The door clicked shut and Anna tested the knob and grinned. Goblins didn’t trust anyone, even witches who had been working for them for almost twenty years.


Anna placed her satchel on the highly polished conference table and plopped into one of the four high backed wooden chairs surrounding it. She found herself eye level to the table top and sitting on the hardest wooden seat imaginable. She had to look down to make sure she wasn’t really sitting on a rock. Shifting her weight in an effort to try and find a comfortable seat, Anna realized these chairs were not designed for a guest’s comfort. That’s one way to make sure meetings don’t run long, she mused.


Deciding she’d rather stand for the time being, Anna started pacing around the table, her finger trailing over the top of the chairs as she passed by, her eyes focused on the satchel in the middle of the table. She had left her parents’ flat less than twenty four hours ago and now here she was, counting blue flecks in the polished marble floor of a conference room in Gringotts waiting for someone to tell her what to do. She looked up as the door clicked and a familiar face entered.


“Bill Weasley!” Anna exclaimed smiling and holding out her hand. “You aren’t Slavoff.”


Grinning, Bill stepped forward and enveloped Anna’s hand in his own. “No, and I've overhear several witches claim he’s better looking. He’s also busy so sorry, you’re stuck with me today.”


“I don’t mind a bit. How’s the family? It was really nice to meet them in Egypt. Heavens, how long ago was that? Three years? Four?”


“Uh, four, actually,” Bill grinned.


Of all the curse breakers Bill had worked with, Anna was one of his favorite. She was hard working, smart and didn’t mind getting dirty. She had a talent of cutting to the chase and not getting bothered with the formalities. But it was her utmost respect for those around her, living and dead, cursed or not, that had always inspired his respect. He had even gone so far as telling her that at one point in time. Granted it was after consuming probably one too many shots of firewhiskey, but he had meant it all the same.


“So,” Bill said, motioning to one of the chairs. “As I’ve just been told, I’m working for you now.”


“What? No!” Anna exclaimed. “That can’t be. Oh, no thanks on the seat. Those chairs are horrid. That would make “ make me, what “ I don’t even know the title. I’m just a Hexologist. They can’t be serious.”


Bill grinned as he pushed a piece of parchment toward her. “They are. And all you have to do is put a cushioning charm on the chair.” Bill pulled out his wand and waved it over a chair which magically scooted out for Anna.


“Oh, right,” Anna flushed. “Thank you.”


Picking up the parchment and sliding down into the chair, Anna felt her knees buckle as the chair moved forward. Flailing slightly, she fell backwards, pleasantly surprised at her soft and cushy landing. Holding the parchment up, she grimaced. Rummaging in her satchel, she pulled out a pair of glasses and slipped them on her nose. She looked up as Bill snorted.


“What?” she asked. “I’m getting old.”


Bill chuckled. “Positively ancient,” he grinned.


“Chief Witch Hexologist and Curse Breaker,” Anna read softly, not quite able to believe the title. She hadn’t realized this was a promotion.


“Congratulations,” Bill said, tenting his fingers on the table. “You deserve it.”


“Thank you,” Anna said, beginning to feel slightly giddy at the news.


“Can I ask you something?”


Anna looked up at Bill’s attempt at a casual tone. “Sure,” she answered.


“Why’d you come back? I mean, they’ve been talking about getting you back here for years. Why now?”


Anna carefully laid the parchment on the table in front of her and tapped her fingertips on it. Taking a deep breath, she opened her mouth to recite the answer she had prepared. She made the mistake of meeting Bill’s eyes through her eyelashes and her shoulders slumped.


“Honestly, Bill,” she said, “I don’t know. You know my parents died?”


Bill nodded. “I’m sorry.”


“Thank you,” Anna replied softly. “I was very close with them. It took me a while to tie up the loose ends but I did and then, I suppose, I decided I needed to do something that didn’t remind me of them every time I turned around.” Anna’s eyes flitted to her satchel. “And I have a few things I need to do here. So the offer came at a good time.”


Bill cleared his throat and smiled. “Well, welcome back. I’m sorry it’s under these circumstances, but I’m glad to have you here. We can certainly use your talents. Let me show you to your desk and you can get settled,” Bill said standing up. “I’m assuming you’re going to need a place to stay?”


“Yes, I’m going to have to find someplace,” Anna said, tripping slightly as the shoulder strap to her satchel caught on the back of the chair. Untangling the bag, she held it close to her side and smiled at Bill. “I was actually thinking of seeing if I could get a little flat or cottage in that little town near Hogwarts. I remember it was rather nice.”


Bill nodded. “Hogsmeade. It is. And you certainly can Apparate from here to there. You’ll like it.”


Anna smiled as she followed Bill out of the conference room, the familiar excitement building. New adventures always did that to her. Her eyes scanning the walls, Anna didn’t notice when the flooring changed from the polished marble to one of rounded stones. Catching herself against the wall with her hand as she tripped over her toes, Anna righted herself and focused her eyes on Bill’s ponytail.


Anna giggled.


For the first time in her life, she couldn’t feel her mother’s eyes rolling.


+++++


A/N “ All my thanks to my betas wvchemteach & Kissmegrint.
Flames by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own the Harry Potter World.




Flames





Nathan scooped up Accio and unceremoniously dropped him feet first into his carrier. With a wave of his wand, the door latched shut. Nathan bent down so he was on eye level with his cat’s tail end. Nathan sighed.


“Yes, you are coming to school with me. You may be the only creature, two or four legged, that I’m still on speaking terms with.”


Accio glared over his shoulder at Nathan before settling down in the carrier, his tail trailing out the door.


“You too, eh? So be it.”


Nathan straightened up and took inventory of what remained in his flat. Will, the clerk from Flourish & Blotts, would keep an eye on the place while he was at school. Nathan liked the idea of having a home to come back to when the school year ended. It was as if he was putting down roots. He hadn’t had many roots in his adult life. It was a nice change.


Nathan picked up his mug of tea and took a sip, his eyes following the witches and wizards going about their morning business. He hadn’t slept well. His mind had been too restless. Dumbledore had sent word that Ginny and Harry had made it to Hogwarts. For that, he was very thankful. The Headmaster had also mentioned they had not been informed of his mother’s demise or his role in it. Before they had Disapparated from the Burrow, Nathan had asked Dumbledore to allow him to be the one to tell them what happened. He was responsible for almost getting Harry and Ginny killed. Nathan had felt strongly about being the one to explain why.


His mind hundreds of kilometers away, it took a moment for Nathan to register that his eyes were following a familiar looking straw hat. He blinked and focused on the wide brim, the brown plait of hair coming from the back, the hurried gate that had mesmerized him so many times before, so many years ago. The ceramic mug slipped from Nathan’s fingers and fell, smashing to bits on the hardwood floor. Tea splashed over Nathan’s shoes and trouser legs. He didn’t notice. Leaning forward, he pressed his forehead against the window glass, his eyes searching for the straw hat. He couldn’t find it. Accio meowed his impatience at being caged for an unnecessary length of time. Nathan rubbed his eyes.


“Sorry, old man,” Nathan answered, reaching for his wand to clean up the shattered pieces of his mug. “I “ thought “ well, it doesn’t matter.”


Picking up the cat’s carrier, Nathan swung his satchel around his shoulders and picked up the handle of his trunk. Raising his wand, Nathan looked at Accio.


“Next stop,” he told the cat, “Hogsmeade then Hogwarts.”


With a ‘POP!’, cat, man and trunk were gone.


++++


Anna tried to wrap her hands around her cup of tea to warm them and frowned. Anna was a breakfast eater. If asked, she would readily admit she’d take a platter filled with hotcakes and bangers or an endless bowl of porridge with cream over an elegant multi-course dinner any day. Breakfast had no pretensions. It was a meal designed to start your day off right. Looking down at the three small tea cakes Madam Puddifoot had served her, Anna didn’t feel like her day was getting off on the right foot at all. How was she supposed to have the strength to find a place to live on that?


Sighing, Anna lifted the tea cup to her lips and glanced around the tea shop at the other patrons. It was her fault she was having to make due with three undernourished breakfast pastries. She had overslept, her alarm charm having been set for PM instead of AM. Waking up half an hour late, Anna had thrown on yesterday’s clothes, shoved her straw hat over her frazzled hair and rushed out of her bedroom at the Leaky Cauldron.


Arriving at White & Associates Home Finders a half hour tardy, the listing agent’s assistant informed her in a bored tone that since she had unfortunately missed her appointment and since they were horribly busy with other important clients, Anna would have to wait until this afternoon. Unless, of course, Anna was willing to Apparate to Hogsmeade and wait until the listing agent was done which would most likely be sometime around lunch. The assistant shut her brightly painted pink lips and stared at Anna. Anna blinked back, wondering how the young girl had said all of that in one breath without any inflection in her voice at all.


In the end, her stomach rumbling and in need of a large mug of tea, Anna had agreed to meet the listing agent in Hogsmeade. After all, she had decided she could use the time to get a decent breakfast and explore her new town. Anna dispiritedly picked up one of her tea cakes and bit it into it. Maybe moving to Hogsmeade wasn’t such a good idea, she mused as she set the cake down and picked up her tea cup. Could she really be happy in a town that didn’t serve a decent breakfast?


The bell over the door jingled. Anna looked up to see a harried looking witch with a clipboard and a large bag slung over her shoulder bustle in. The witch scanned the room, her gaze landing on Anna. Her hand outstretched, the witch wove her way through the tables.


“Maggie White, White & Associates. You must be Anna Patterson.”


“Uh, yes, I am,” Anna said, reaching out to shake Maggie’s hand and starting to stand up.


“No, no, don’t get up,” Maggie said, gratefully sinking into the seat across from Anna. “I could use the break.”


“I am so sorry I missed our appointment this morning,” Anna apologized.


“No worries, dear. Life is too short not to sleep in every now and again, be it on purpose or accidentally. Now, Lucy, my assistant, told me you’re looking at Hogsmeade. Well, of course, you are. We’re here, after all. These days, I like my clients to know exactly what they’re getting into. You do realize Hogwarts is in the near vicinity?”


Anna nodded, confused as to where this line of questioning was going.


“And you know students come into town on the occasional weekend?”


Confectioner's sugar from the tea cake flew up Anna’s nose as she snorted.


“Is something the matter?” Maggie asked, peering over the top of her clipboard.


“No, nothing,” Anna said, rubbing the bottom of her nose with the back of her hand. Students were the least of her worries.


“So, what are you looking for in a new home?”


Anna took a deep breath and smiled at Maggie, her disappointment over her morning meal fading as her future came into focus.


+++++


The light filtering through Harry’s closed eyelids was suddenly blocked out by a shadow. Even though his eyes weren’t open, Harry’s entire being knew who belonged to that shadow. He could feel her breath on his cheek as the clean, fresh scent of her hair floated around him. He turned his head on his pillow and felt his glasses slide up onto his nose. Harry slowly opened his eyes. Ginny smiled at him, her chin resting on her hands, her nose almost touching his.


“Good morning,” she said softly.


“’morning,” Harry replied, his mouth feeling like it was full of cotton.


“How are you feeling?” Ginny asked, reaching up to brush Harry’s hair back with her fingers.


“I don’t know,” he replied, blinking at the morning sun. “I don’t hurt, but then again, I haven’t tried moving. I could use a glass of water, though.”


“Oh, of course,” Ginny said, reaching over for a glass on the table between the beds. “Madam Pomfrey said the sleeping draught she gave you would make you thirsty.”


Harry hesitantly propped himself up on his elbow. His muscles felt stiff, but the shooting pain that had hindered their progress through the forest was gone. Ginny held the glass up to his lips and helped him take a drink.


“What happened?” Harry asked as he carefully flopped back onto his pillow.


“Well,” Ginny started, “two Death Eaters were in the clearing. Hagrid killed one with his crossbow. The other Disapparated. Madam Pomfrey thinks the Cruciatus Curse weakened your magical reserves and when you tried to hex the Death Eater, you depleted whatever you had left and blacked out.”


Harry flushed. Fainting seemed so “ so pathetic. Ginny covered his hand with hers.


“Harry, Madam Pomfrey thinks because of how the curse entered your body, it was magnified to a point that would kill most adult wizards. The fact you are still alive is,” Ginny paused, her voice cracking, “well, surprising.”


Harry slowly flipped his hand over to squeeze Ginny’s. “This isn’t your fault, Ginny.”


Ginny bit her bottom lip and nodded.


“How did we get back here?” Harry asked, wanting to divert Ginny. Carefully rolling over on his side, Harry watched as she tried holding back her grin, failing miserably at the attempt. He wondered if he had it in him to lean up and kiss those smiling lips.


“Grawp carried you.”


The sight of Grawp splitting the tree in the forest crossed Harry’s mind and it occurred to him that it was probably a good thing he blacked out.


“How are you feeling?” Harry asked, his eyes roving over Ginny’s face. She looked pale, but rested. And, Harry realized thankfully, her eyes had lost that haunted look he had seen in them in the forest.


“Better. In fact, Madam Pomfrey has told me I can move into Gryffindor Tower today. You know, it will be good to have a little extra time to unpack,” she joked.


Harry chuckled. “Has she said anything about me?”


“No, Mr. Potter, I have not. I was waiting for you to wake up,” Madam Pomfrey’s voice broke into their conversation. Standing at the end of Harry’s bed, Madam Pomfrey studied her patient. “How are you feeling?”


Harry pushed himself up on his elbow. “Stiff,” he commented after the effort, “but so far, the pain seems to have subsided.”


Madam Pomfrey nodded. “Once again, Mr. Potter, you are a lucky young man. But then again,” she said, raising her eyebrows at Ginny, “maybe it’s not all due to luck.” Walking around the side of his bed, she ran her wand up and down Harry and touched his forehead. “I would say one more night here and then you may return to Gryffindor Tower. Miss Weasley, you need to allow Mr. Potter to rest.” Madam Pomfrey looked pointedly at Ginny who realized the nurse wasn’t leaving without her.


Ginny reluctantly stood up. Leaning forward, Ginny placed a soft kiss on Harry’s lips. “I’ll be back later,” she whispered as she backed up. Giving Harry a small wave, Ginny pushed open the doors of the Hospital wing and disappeared from view.


+++++



Ginny aimlessly wandered down the first floor corridor. The castle was waiting in anticipation for the arrival of students in a few days. The floors were polished, the windows sparkled as much as they could, the torches were trimmed and waiting. Ginny stopped and stood still, looking up and down the passageway trying to put her finger on what felt so strange. It was quiet “ perhaps too quiet for a structure designed to house yet not contain the lives of adolescent witches and wizards. Ginny smiled to herself. It was almost as if the castle was a living, breathing entity that was lonely and feeling a little lost without its purpose.


“They’ll be here soon enough,” Ginny reassured the ceiling. “Then you will start wishing for the holidays!”


Giggling at herself, Ginny continued on her way, a spring in her footsteps. Harry was getting better! Things were getting better! They were back at Hogwarts, safe and sound. And once Harry was healed, they could do the bonding again. Any doubts Ginny had about her abilities to perform the bond were gone. It had been working in the clearing by Catarina’s cottage. She could feel it, see it, almost touch it. More importantly, Harry could, too.


Deciding some fresh air would do her good, Ginny turned in the direction of the Great Hall and the front doors. Passing the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom, she was surprised to see the door open. Peeking inside, she heard a noise coming from Professor Borgin’s office. Professor Borgin’s back, she thought optimistically. Weaving her way through the desks to the office, Ginny knocked on the door. The noise inside stopped.


“Yes?”


Ginny slowly pushed the door open and peered inside. “Professor Borgin?”


Nathan looked up from the satchel he was unpacking and smiled hesitantly at her. “Hello, Ginny. Come in. How are you doing?”


Ginny smiled at Professor Borgin and stepped in. “Madam Pomfrey told me you were alright and would be back soon. How’s Catarina? Will she be coming soon, too?”


Ginny watched in surprise as Nathan’s expression clouded over. An aura of pain and exhaustion enveloped his person, radiating off him in waves Ginny could almost touch. Nathan motioned to one of the chairs in front of his desk and Ginny sat down, not taking her eyes from his face. Nathan cleared his throat and returned his attention to the satchel. Keeping his eyes focused on the parchment and quills he removed from the bag, he blinked back the sudden warm wetness he felt behind his eyelids. He knew Ginny was waiting for an answer but he kept silent for a moment, trying to reign in his emotions. After everything he had kept from this young girl, the fact she remained willing to speak to him amazed him. He wasn’t so sure she would be so willing after what he had to tell her next.


Dipping his hand back into the satchel one last time, Nathan removed his mother’s journal and carefully set it on his desk. He then flipped the top of the satchel closed and buckled the buckles. Setting it down on the floor by his feet, he straightened up and reached for his mother’s book, opening it to the page where the picture rested. Reverently, he picked up the picture and placed it against the books on the bookshelf behind his desk. I need to get a frame for that, he thought.


“Professor Borgin?” Ginny said quietly.


Nathan exhaled and turned back to face Ginny. “Where’s Harry?”


“In the Hospital Wing,” Ginny answered, a sense of foreboding beginning to creep into her heart at his toneless voice. “Why?”


“Is he better?”


“Yes. Madam Pomfrey said he would be able to leave the Hospital Wing tomorrow.”


Nathan sighed and ran his hand through his hair before resting it on his hips. “Well, then, I would rather only say this once. Do you mind if we head to the Hospital Wing?”


Not waiting for an answer, Nathan stepped around his desk and walked out the office door, leaving a stunned Ginny in his wake.


+++++


Nathan stood at the end of Harry’s bed, his hands clasped together, his eyes moving from Harry’s face to Ginny’s, trying to gauge their reaction.


“Sh “ she’s dead?” Ginny whispered disbelievingly.


Nathan nodded.


“She fought Voldemort,” Harry stated flatly.


Nathan nodded again.


“And you - you brought him there?” Ginny asked, struggling to get her mind around the unthinkable. “You brought him into your mother’s home knowing he would kill her?”


Nathan nodded. He was at a loss for what else to do or say. Every nerve in his body tingled as he waited for the story to sink in. He needed them to react. Even if they hated him, he needed to know it was done.


Ginny swallowed, her face pale, her skin prickling with chills despite the warm August sun pouring in the windows. She sat down on the edge of Harry’s bed, feeling him shift slightly to make room for her.


“Why did she do it?” Ginny asked, her heart beginning to break through the numbness, pushing tears upward and outward.


Nathan swallowed, a selfish glimmer of hope springing up inside. If Ginny was asking questions, perhaps all was not lost.


“She,” Nathan’s voice cracked. Swallowing, he began again. “My mother never forgave herself for what she did. She had vowed many years ago that if given the opportunity, she would do what she could to make things right. She used the only weapon available to her to do irreparable damage to her bond.”


“And she asked for your help?” Ginny whispered.


“She asked for me to do what I could.”


Harry’s head came up and he locked gazes with Nathan. “Irreparable damage?”


“The Ancient Magic form of an Obliteration Charm, for lack of a better term, fries the bonds. It’s as if you were to take a match to a piece of Muggle nylon rope and let it melt “ nothing can be woven there again. In other words, Tom will never be able to bond with anyone ever again.”


“Does he know that?” Harry asked.


“No.”


“Are you going to tell him?”


“Not if I can help it,” Nathan answered truthfully. Unclasping his hands, Nathan walked around the end of Harry’s bed and sat down on the bed opposite him. “I do need to tell him something soon. I have my mother’s journal with her notes on Obliteration Charms. I’m hoping to find something suitable in there. It is not a widely accepted practice.”


“They are considered the Unforgivable Curses of Mediators,” Ginny said quietly. Nathan looked at her surprised and she shrugged. “Your mum told me a little about them. But she never said she would ever consider using one.”


Nathan nodded, his gaze shifting to the toes of his shoes. Ginny wiped at the tears dampening her cheeks. Harry moved to put his arm around her and pulled her against him, her head resting on his shoulder. The air in the ward pulsed with grief and regret, as the three of them contemplated a life given in hopes of a brighter future.


“What do we do now?” Ginny asked quietly.


Nathan kept his eyes on his shoes as he answered, not wanting to pressure Harry and Ginny by his gaze. “If I were in your position, I would go through with the bond. Your blood is still a valuable commodity, so to speak. In addition, your bond can be beneficial to both you and Harry, which may come in handy in the future.”


Ginny blinked then nodded against Harry’s shoulder. The war. Of course.


“Is there anything else you haven’t told us?” Harry asked coldly.


“No,” Nathan said, his eyes steady with Harry’s. “You know everything I do.”


Pushing himself off the bed, Nathan glanced at the teenagers. “I’ll let you think about it. You are safe here.”


“Professor Borgin?” Ginny said, stopping Nathan as he walked toward the doors. “Who would take over my training, now th “ that Catarina is gone?” She hiccupped as she tried to strengthen her quivering voice.


“I’m not sure, Ginny,” Nathan replied honestly, walking back to the end of Harry’s bed. “I know Professor Snape is very knowledgeable regarding Blood Bonds-“


“Absolutely not!” Harry exclaimed. “I will not have Snape messing with-“


Nathan held up his hands to stop Harry’s tirade. “Harry, I understand your relationship with Severus Snape. I am not suggesting that he teach Ginny. We may need to consult him, though.”


“We?” Ginny asked. “You mean you would teach me?”


“Well,” Nathan replied, “I can try. With help, I think we can still do it. But Ginny,” Nathan said, looking at her earnestly, “you should know, your mother is not happy about all of this.”


Patting the end of the bed with his knuckles, Nathan turned and headed back to the door. Harry took Ginny’s hands and squeezed. Taking a steadying breath, she called out, “Thank you, Professor Borgin. I will worry about my family. You need to worry about teaching me. Your mother said I kept her on her toes.”


Nathan stopped, his palm resting flat on the door to the Hospital Wing. He didn’t know what he had done to deserve this, but he was grateful. Glancing over his shoulder, he saw Harry wrap his arms around Ginny, who had given into her grief over the loss of her mentor. Harry glanced up and met Nathan’s eyes. Nathan inclined his head in thanks as the door closed behind him.


+++++


After leaving Harry and Ginny, Nathan made his way back to his office. A sudden burst of industrial energy coursing through his veins sustained him through several hours of poring over manuals and texts on Mediators. Closing the cover on a particularly intricate one, Nathan felt the hollowness that had taken up residence in his chest return. The shadows slanting across the top of his desk spoke of the approaching evening. He pushed his chair back from his desk and his stomach turned. Perhaps that empty feeling in his middle wasn’t all emotional, he mused. He realized he hadn’t eaten since breakfast.


Stepping into the corridor, Nathan made his way toward the Great Hall. He nodded at Professor McGonagall and followed his instinct to keep walking right out the front doors. The lazy breeze tickling his robes foretold of coming changes. Students would soon be traveling up this road, filling the hallways, pouring through the castle. Sadly, fewer than last year. Death Eater attacks had seen to that. Nathan quickened his pace.


Pushing his shoulder against the thick, solid wood door of the Three Broomsticks, Nathan entered the pub. A handful of patrons were scattered throughout the room, and thankfully, none of them were all that interested in the newcomer. Nathan wove his way through the tables and sat down on a stool facing the bar.


“Professor Borgin,” Madam Rosmerta greeted him with a smile. “Welcome back! Your usual?” she asked as she reached for a Butterbeer.


“Firewhiskey,” Nathan replied firmly, folding his hands in front of him.


Madam Rosmerta raised her eyebrows at her patron. “You sure about that?” she asked glancing up as the door to the pub opened again.


“Yes.”


Shrugging, Madam Rosmerta placed a glass in front of Nathan and poured. “Go easy on that,” she warned as she placed the bottle of Odgen’s on the bar next to Nathan. “You won’t find any answers in there.”


“I’m not looking for answers,” Nathan replied picking up the glass and eyeing it. “I’m looking for forgiveness.”


“Well,” the barkeep replied, wiping her hands on her apron, “the best you’ll do there is forgetfulness. But it always comes back, dear.”


Nathan heard a chair scrape as he lifted the glass to his lips. The unmistaken smell of pure grain alcohol burned his nostrils as he began to tilt the liquid fire into his mouth. His lips opened as a sudden force slammed into his back. The glass flew from his hands and bounced off the top of the bar, down to the floor, splattering whiskey everywhere. Fuming, Nathan whirled around and stood up.


“What the bloody hell do you think you’re do-“


“Oh, I’m so sorry! I “ I tripped. Here, are you al ““


Madam Rosmerta stepped up to the bar and waved her wand, cleaning up the spilled drink. Her eyes darted between the witch and wizard on the other side. They stood there, staring at each other, mouths open wide. She was pretty sure if she poked her wand at the air separating these two, sparks would explode from it. Being a good barkeep, Madam Rosmerta knew when to listen close up and when to listen from afar. Picking up Nathan’s glass, she stepped back and went to the other end of the bar, her eyes never leaving the couple who obviously weren’t strangers.


Nathan recovered first. “Anna? What the hell are you doing here? Were “ were you in Diagon Alley this morning? What “ what…” Nathan’s voice trailed off, his anger morphing into confusion, his heart thumping wildly in his chest.


Anna could feel herself blushing wildly as she reached up and dragged the straw hat off her head. Nervously, she tucked a flyaway brown curl behind her ear. “Nathan! I’m sorry, really. Are you alright? Oh, heavens,” Anna clutched the brim of her hat in her hands, her eyes darting anywhere but at Nathan. Releasing the hat with one hand, she pressed the bridge of her nose with it. This wasn’t how I pictured this at all!


“Pardon?”


“Oh, damn, I did it again,” Anna said, finally meeting Nathan’s eyes. She remembered those eyes. She could lose herself in those eyes.


Nathan surprised himself by grinning. “You said that out loud.” He had forgotten that she did that. “Where have you been? Why are you here?”


Anna swallowed and looked at the bar. “How about I replace what I spilled and we talk?” she said, motioning to Madam Rosmerta. “Two of whatever he had.”


“Firewhiskey?” Madam Rosmerta asked skeptically.


“Firewhiskey,” Nathan and Anna answered simultaneously, nodding.


“Suit yourself,” Madam Rosmerta said placing two glasses on the bar and filling them.


Anna reached out for a glass and led the way to a booth at the end of the bar. She scooted in, plopping her hat on the seat next to her. Nathan sat down at the other end, the hat acting as chaperone between them.


“So,” Anna started, her fingers wrapped around her glass. “I’m back.”


Nathan stared at her incredulously. “You’re back? That’s all you have to say?”


Anna inflated her cheeks like a chipmunk and slowly released the air. “Oh, crap,” she exclaimed. Picking up her glass, Anna drained it in one gulp, grimacing as the burning liquid shot down her throat and splashed in the pit of her stomach. She winced. “Should have eaten lunch,” she muttered as she set her glass down. Taking a deep breath, she met Nathan’s questioning gaze.


“Yes, I’m back. Or perhaps I should say I’m here. In fact, I just rented a little cottage on the edge of town. Gringotts offered me a position in London. It sounded like a good thing and it was time to get out of Egypt. I had some things I needed to look into here. I just arrived in London yesterday. I Apparated up here today and now, I’m rambling,” Anna took a breath and smiled apologetically at Nathan. “What are you doing here?”


Nathan’s mind raced to catch up with Anna’s words, his tongue suddenly tied and no intelligent words coming to the forefront of his brain. “I work here. Well, not here. I teach. At Hogwarts. I’m a teacher at Hogwarts.”


Nathan mentally kicked himself. Why did this woman have this power over him? Mere minutes in her presence and years of polish went right down the tube. He felt like he was a first year student with his first serious crush all over again. But then, it had always been like this with her.


“You’re a professor? That’s brilliant! I’m positive you make a smashing professor.”


“Uh, thank you,” Nathan said flushing. Taking a sip of his Firewhiskey, he contemplated his next question. “How are your parents?”


“Dead, thank you,” Anna answered, then giggled. Nathan glanced up at her strange behavior. “I’m sorry. That was uncalled for. Too much whiskey, not enough food,” Anna commented rubbing the bridge of her nose. “A ceiling of a tomb collapsed on my parents approximately six months ago.”


“I’m sorry,” Nathan replied.


“No, you’re not,” Anna shook her head at him. “Nathan, be honest. You never liked my parents. My parents never liked you. Well, my mother never liked you.”


“No, I am sorry,” Nathan repeated. “I am sorry because their deaths would have hurt you.”


Anna sat back in the booth surprised. “Th “ Thank you,” she said quietly. “To be honest, we had grown apart over the past couple years. A difference in opinions, you might say.”


Madame Rosmerta stopped at their table and picked up Anna’s empty glass. “Another?” she asked.


Anna shook her head. “No. Thank you. I need food.”


Madame Rosemerta nodded and walked away. Anna rested her elbows on the table and leaned toward Nathan. “Nathan, I’m not here to interfere in your life or cause any problems. I will be working in London so we shouldn’t be bumping into each other too much. If it becomes a problem, I will find another place closer to work.”


Nathan could almost see the words coming out of his mouth, his brain screaming for him to reel them in. “Oh, no, that’s alright. In fact, would you like to come up to Hogwarts? You could say hello to Professor Dumbledore if you like.”


Nathan inwardly cringed. What was he thinking? She had taken his then twenty one year old heart in her hands, thrown it on the ground and stomped on it. Now, almost twenty years later, he was on the verge of giving it to her again? He really was an idiot.


“Oh,” Anna blinked. “Well, if you like.”


If he liked? If he liked? Well, now that he handed it to her, she doesn’t want it? He was more than an idiot. He was a fool. A fool who couldn’t keep his mouth shut.


“Sure. Just send an owl to Hogwarts when you get settled and we can set up a time.” Nathan forced himself to stand up, leaving his half empty glass of Firewhiskey sitting on the table.


“You look good, Nathan,” Anna said softly, smiling up at him.


He couldn't stop himself. He opened his mouth.


“You do too, Anna.”


And before he said anything else, Nathan turned on his heels and practically ran out the door.


Madame Rosemerta wandered over to the table and picked up Nathan’s glass, her eyes on the closing door. “You’re new here, aren’t you?” she asked.


Anna nodded.


“You aren’t new to him, though.”


Anna shook her head. “No, I’m not. I wish I was though. Then I could do it all over and not muck it up this time!”


With that, Anna picked up her straw hat and shoved it on her head. Scooting out of the booth, she nodded her thanks at the barkeep and headed toward the door.


+++++


Ginny sat staring at the fire in the Gryffindor Common room. Dobby had asked her if she wanted one. She had felt a little foolish saying yes, after all, it was just her and it wasn’t all that cold. But the house elf had happily set the first fire of the term in the fireplace, snapped his fingers and had flames dancing in mere seconds. Now, sitting here on the overstuffed couch, her chin resting on her knees, she was thankful for the added warmth of the fire. Sniffling, she rubbed her forehead on her knee. A dull ached spread from ear to ear, a leftover reminder of the tears she had shed for her mentor and friend. Rubbing her upper arms, Ginny wished briefly she had brought a blanket down with her. Looking longingly over her shoulder at the stairs, she thought briefly of the moment she had managed to summon her wand in the forest clearing the end of last term. Perhaps if she closed her eyes and concentrated…


“Here, this will keep you warm.”


Ginny’s scream was cut off by a warm familiar hand covering her mouth.


“Shhh, Gin, it’s me!” Harry said quickly, climbing over the back of the couch, a blanket in his free arm.


“Harry!” Ginny exclaimed as he removed his hand. “What are you doing here?”


“Don’t tell anyone,” Harry leaned forward, whispering conspiratorially, “but I broke out.”


Ginny giggled as she shifted over to make room for Harry. “Are you sure you’re alright?”


“Yeah,” Harry said, snuggling up to Ginny and covering them with the blanket. “I just thought it must be really lonely in the common room with no one else around.”


“That’s really sweet of you, Harry,” Ginny said, tucking her hair behind her ear.


Harry grinned. “And to be honest, I was really lonely in the Hospital Wing all by myself.” Ginny snorted.


“Are you alright?” Harry asked concerned.


Ginny nodded slowly. “I’m going to miss her.”


“Yeah, I know,” Harry agreed, placing a kiss on Ginny’s forehead.


“Madam Pomfrey is going to be really mad if you aren’t in your bed in the morning.”


Harry snorted. “Madam Pomfrey is just being overly protective. I’m fine. Besides, I’ll be back before she knows I’m gone. Dobby promised to come back in a couple of hours to sneak me back there.”


“Dobby helped you?” Ginny asked surprised.


“Yeah,” Harry grinned as he curled a strand of Ginny’s hair around his finger.


“You know, I kind of like Dobby,” Ginny said moving her head forward on the pillow they shared so she could slowly rub her nose against Harry’s.


“Yeah,” Harry answered, his breath catching in his throat. “I do, too,” he whispered, before shifting his head so it wasn’t just their noses kissing.




++++


A/N “ Don’t look now, I’ve gone fluffy. But a little fluff never hurt anyone. Of course, the question is, how long will it last…


I owe and apology for not mentioning Been Reading’s input in the last chapter “ thank you for asking why!


My thanks to my Beta/collaborator wvchemteach and beta Kissmegrint for making this whole thing work.
Mother's Love by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.




Mother’s Love







Ginny sat straight up in bed, her borrowed nightgown soaked with sweat, her heart beating uncontrollably. She squinted into the bright sun streaming through the window of the dormitory. Her breathing slowed as she looked around at her familiar surroundings. Swallowing hard, Ginny pulled her nightgown away from her chest, feeling the cool morning air brush her flushed skin. She hadn’t dreamt about the Chamber in over a year.


Untangling herself from the sheets twisting like vines up her calves, Ginny swung her legs over the side of her bed. Scooting off the edge, her bare feet crossed over the cool stones to the window. Closing her eyes, she poked her head out of the window into the morning breeze, reveling in the crispness of the oncoming fall. This hadn’t been a normal Chamber dream. Ginny snorted. Of course, what was normal about dreaming of the Chamber of Secrets? she thought. Ginny opened her eyes and gazed at the grounds.


Catarina had been in her dream, standing in the middle of the chamber, beckoning to her. But it wasn’t an eleven year old Ginny who entered the light, it was Ginny as she was today.


Drawing her head inside, she turned around and leaned against the wall, her eyes roaming over the empty beds that would be filled soon. Her stomach rumbled. Glancing at the sky, she realized it was probably late morning.


Catarina had then turned and Ginny saw Tom as Catarina had known him. Tom had raised his wand and pointed it at Catarina who threw her hands out in front of her.


As the flash of light exploded in front of her eyes, Ginny had woken up.


Ginny sat down on the edge of her bed and looked out the window at the bright blue skies, her mind wandering back to her dream. No, not a dream, she thought, a nightmare. Definitely, a nightmare.


++++


Harry struggled through the portrait hole, his hands clutching six toast triangles wrapped in a napkin and a goblet of pumpkin juice. He grimaced as he sloshed the liquid down his front. Setting the toast and juice on the nearest table, Harry swiped at the orange dribbles soaking into the cotton.


“It’s a lost cause,” Ginny commented from the bottom step of the dormitory stairs.


“Hey,” Harry said, dropping his shirt. “I know. At least I should have a change of clothes tonight if Ron brings my trunk.”


“Different clothes? What a thought!” Ginny exclaimed, walking over and wrapping her arms around Harry. “Good morning! How was your night?”


“Short,” Harry grinned at her as he wrapped his arms around her. Harry leaned against the back of the couch and drew Ginny with him. “I brought you toast.”


“You’re my hero,” Ginny sighed, batting her eyelashes at him and standing up on her tiptoes to give Harry a soft kiss on his lips.


Harry pulled away and touched his nose lightly to Ginny’s, his eyes focused on her lips. Her breath was warm and slightly minty. He saw her eyes flitter as his nose gently brushed hers once, twice, a third time. Harry lightly traced Ginny’s parted lips with his thumb, before replacing his thumb with his lips. He felt her melt, her softness against his chest.


“Hem, hem.”


Ginny’s hands trailed up Harry’s back, her fingers dancing over his bare neck and weaving into his hair, pressing against his scalp. One of Harry’s hands found the warm, soft skin exposed on Ginny’s back by her stretching up. Harry buried his other hand in Ginny’s hair, deepening the kiss as their tongues danced.


“Hem, HEM!”


Harry and Ginny broke apart, blinking dazedly at each other, hearts pounding, breathing ragged.


“Don’t you two have someplace to be?”


With a bewildered look on her flushed face, Ginny looked up at a portrait of several young maidens giggling behind their aprons, peeking out from behind the bulk of the Fat Lady who was visiting their portrait. The Fat Lady stood there, her hands on her hips and a disapproving look on her face.


Harry dropped his hands to Ginny’s waist and leaned his forehead on her shoulder. “She’s right.”


“Really?” Ginny replied unbelievingly.


“Hmmm,” Harry mumbled into Ginny’s shoulder.


“Hem, hem!”


“Alright,” Harry muttered as he gently pushed Ginny back. “Dumbledore wants to see us in his office.”


“Now?” Ginny asked frustrated, reluctantly stepping back and shooting the Fat Lady a disgruntled look.


“Now,” Harry nodded apologetically. “I told him I’d come and get you.”


Ginny sighed in resignation, grabbed the toast and followed Harry out of the portrait hole.


“It’s not nice to keep the Headmaster waiting!” the Fat Lady called after them from her own frame.


“Jealous old battleaxe,” Ginny muttered as she trotted to catch up to Harry.


“I heard that!” the Fat Lady yelled as the portrait hole swung shut.


+++++



“Miss Weasley,” Dumbledore said, reading from the parchment he held in his hands, “it came to the attention of the Ministry of Magic that you performed some magic in your time in the Forbidden Forest.”


Sitting up straight in her chair, Ginny visibly paled as Dumbledore looked at her over his half moon glasses.


“And I know you’ve been worried about it, too,” he commented mildly, his mouth beginning to smile. “You need not. It has been smoothed over.”


Ginny slouched in relief and grinned at the Headmaster. “Thank you, sir.”


Dumbledore nodded and turned his attention to Harry. “Now, Harry, I understand from Madam Pomfrey that you have suffered considerable spell damage. She has advised that due to your magical reserves being at a dangerously low level when you first arrived back at Hogwarts several days ago, that you refrain from doing any strenuous magical activities for the next six weeks.”


Harry opened his mouth to interrupt but Dumbledore held up his hand and continued.


“You will still be able to attend classes. She has however suggested you take a rest from dueling practice and put off starting the DA back up until November. It also means that you and Miss Weasley will not be able to perform the bonding ceremony until you are fully healed.”


Harry looked questioningly between the Headmaster and Ginny who was nodding.


“Harry, if we were to bond now, I might overpower you,” Ginny shrugged. “It is such an obtrusive process and your defenses are low. You’d have no way of protecting yourself if something were to go wrong again.”


“And for that reason, as well,” Dumbledore added, “I’m afraid I cannot allow you to visit Hogsmeade until your magical reserves are fully restored.”


Harry slumped back in his chair. “And what exactly am I supposed to do instead?” Harry complained grumpily.


Dumbledore’s eyes twinkled over his glasses at Ginny. “I have a feeling you’ll find something to keep yourself busy.” As the blush crept up her cheeks, Ginny’s eyes turned toward her shoes. “Also, Madame Pomfrey has suggested you use your Occlumency lessons as a way to test your reserve powers. Professor Borgin is quite well versed in a manner of Occlumency practiced by those proficient in Ancient Magic. If it is agreeable to you, I would like him to take over your Occlumency lessons for a while.”


Harry considered the thought of Professor Borgin for a moment and shrugged his shoulders.


“Lastly, Harry,” Dumbledore smiled, reaching into his robe pocket and pulling out a folded piece of parchment, “this would have normally been sent with your booklist, however, under the circumstances, I have the honor of presenting it to you in person.”


Harry accepted the parchment Dumbledore handed him and unfolded it, uncovering a Gryffindor patch. Harry couldn’t identify the feelings coursing through him “ Fear? Excitement? Pride? “ as he read the words across the shield.


“Well done, Harry,” Dumbledore said quietly.


Harry ran his fingers over the patch, tracing the words Head Boy. “Thank you, sir.”


“Congratulations, Harry,” Ginny said, leaning over to give him a kiss on the cheek. “You deserve it.”


Harry flushed and ducked his head. “Thanks,” Harry said. “Uh, I ““


“Albus!” Nathan Borgin raced up the stairs to Dumbledore’s office, clutching his forearm.


“Do you know what you are going to say?”


Nathan winced and nodded. “I’ve spoken with Severus.”


“Very well, then,” Dumbledore replied.


Nathan released his arm and nodded at Harry and Ginny and turned, pulling his hood over his head.


+++++


After Nathan’s abrupt departure, Dumbledore had ushered Ginny and Harry out of his office rather quickly, giving only the explanation that Tom had wanted answers and Nathan was going to try to provide some. The Headmaster had annoyingly avoided specifics which left Ginny speculating possibilities as she sat in one of the high backed chairs in the Gryffindor Common Room waiting for Harry to come down from the boys’ dormitory.


Leaning over to inspect the toes of her trainers, Ginny yelped in surprise as the empty fireplace burst into green flame and her mother’s head appeared.


“Mum! What are you doing?”


“It’s good to see you, too, Ginny,” Molly replied shortly. “I wanted to make sure you were alright! You haven’t bothered to send me an owl and tell me you were. I’ve received updates from Professor Dumbledore and Madam Pomfrey, but nothing from you. You gave your father and me quite the fright!”


“Yes, well, Mum, I couldn’t really contact you from the Forbidden Forest,” Ginny replied with a touch of sarcasm. “Besides, I was rather surprised you weren’t here five minutes after we got back,” she muttered under her breath.


“What was that?”


“Nothing, Mum,” Ginny said, sighing heavily.


“Well, you have been back at school for several days now. You have had time. Besides, you shouldn’t have been in the Forbidden Forest in the first place!” Molly snapped.


“Mum, not now. I’m really not in the mood.”


“Ginny, this entire blood bonding business has only led you into danger. It is ““


“Mum, do you know Harry is Head Boy?” Ginny asked, attempting to avoid a major row with her mother.


“Well, of course he is. That’s a well deserved honor for him. But that does not mean you should go through ““


“Madam Pomfrey says he’s going to be fine. His magical reserves will be back to normal in six weeks.”


“Six weeks! There isn’t any reason why he should have to be in such a state in the first place! This is foolish nonsense! Ginny, you cannot go through with this!”


“Mum! You don’t understand!” Ginny argued, rubbing her forehead where a throbbing ache was gathering.


“I do, too, understand, young lady,” Molly admonished. The fire may have been green, but there wasn’t any mistaking the redness of anger in her expression. “That “ Nath - him “ he almost got you and Harry hurt. Or worse yet, he could have gotten you killed!”


“Mum! We weren’t in danger!”


“You were attacked!”


“Yes, but we Apparated out of there! We ““


“Illegally Apparated into the Forbidden Forest, Ginevra!”


“Mum, this is important!”


“Keeping you safe is important!”


“I am safe. Harry is safe. We are at Hogwarts, Mum,” Ginny ground out, feeling the last strings of restraint fall away.


“YOU KNOW WHAT HE DID TO HIS MOTHER?” Molly bellowed out of the flames. With each syllable, the flames shot higher and brighter until they licked the underside of the mantel.


Her jaw clenched, her eyes narrowed, Ginny shot up from her seat and stepped closer to the flames. Leaning down so she was eye to eye with her mother, Ginny scowled.


“Back off, Mum. I’m doing this.”


Taken aback, Molly stuttered a moment before regaining her position. “N-No, you aren’t. If you try to do this, I’ll bring you straight home, I -“


“I won’t come home,” Ginny retorted.


“You have to come home, Ginny. You are not of age,” Molly shot back.


“Fine,” Ginny snapped. “The minute I’m legal, you won’t have to worry about setting my place at the table anymore.”


Molly’s eyes flew open and her mouth dropped open. “GINEVRA MOLLY WEASLEY! HOW DARE ““


“MUM!” Ginny shouted, straightening up, fists at her side, anger bubbling over. “You will do anything in your power to keep those you love safe -


“Which is what I’m doing!”


“I love Harry,” Ginny shouted, ignoring her mother’s outburst, “and this is something I can do to help keep him safe.”


“There are other ways to keep Harry safe!”


“There aren’t better ways,” Ginny ground out. “We’re doing this, Mum. You can’t change our minds. This is a good thing,” she said, punctuating every word with jab of her finger. “I’m sorry you can’t seem to see that.”


“Ginny ““


“Mum, I have to go.”


“Go? Go where? The only place you’re going ““


“Bye, Mum. I’ll talk to you later,” Ginny sighed, turning away from the fireplace where Molly Weasley’s head sputtered in the green flames before dying out.



+++++


Anna bent her neck back, then to her left shoulder and to her right shoulder. Placing her hands on either side, she squeezed, feeling the lumps of stress compress. Groaning, she dropped her hands to her lap. Her first official day on the job and her desk was already buried under parchment. Reaching out for her mug, Anna titled it toward her. Empty.


Thankful for the excuse to stretch her legs, Anna carried her mug through the desks, smiling at the witches, wizards and goblins at their desks as she passed. Pushing the door at the back of the room open, Anna entered the hallway and made her way toward the kitchen. With each step, the pocket of her pants hit her leg. Slipping her hand inside, Anna touched Lily Potter’s key, the metal warm against her fingertips.


“Anna! Wait up!”


Anna turned to see Bill Weasley jogging up the corridor toward her.


“Tea time?” he asked.


Anna smiled and wiggled her mug. “You could say that.”


“How’s the first day going?”


Anna set her mug on the counter and pulled a tea canister toward her. “Alright. It appears my predecessor suffered from short timer’s disease and stopped doing paperwork a month before he left, but other than that, it’s going well. How about you?”


Bill crossed his arms across his chest and leaned against the counter. He watched as Anna scooped loose tea into a ball and put it in her mug. “I’ve got a case I’d like you to look at. There are reports of some counterfeit authorization letters circulating.”


Anna snorted. “This is what our lives have come to?” she joked, lighting a fire with her wand under the kettle she held.


Bill grinned. “The letters are charmed to not reveal any incriminating information on who created them. We’ve already had two curse breakers sent to St. Mungos because they tried to break the charms. It’s not a tomb, but it’s a living,” Bill shrugged.


Anna poured hot water from the kettle into her mug. “That, and we can’t have the wrong sort successfully accessing vaults.”


“When did we get that?” Bill asked nodding at the teapot.


“Oh, I brought it. Can’t stand tea out of my wand. Tastes like the core. And no one wants to drink tea that tastes like the tail end of a centaur.”


Bill chuckled. “Good point.”


Anna fished the tea ball out of her mug. “Bill,” Anna started, wrapping her hands around her mug, “who handles safe boxes these days?”


“Uh, Swelf, I believe,” Bill replied.


“Swelf? Really? He must be positively ancient by now,” Anna chuckled.


“I believe he is. Why?”


“I came into possession of a key to one of the boxes. The owners are deceased. I was wanting to clear it out.”


“Shouldn’t be a problem,” Bill said. “Can I walk with you?”


Anna nodded and lead Bill out of the kitchen area and down the corridor in the opposite direction from their office. The hallway got smaller, the floor bumpier and the air colder as their wound their way downwards. They stopped in front of a curved wooden door with a circular iron handle. The uniformed guard standing in front of the door looked at them questioningly. Bill and Anna handed their wands to the guard who placed them on a small brass meter sitting on a table to his right. A voice floated up stating their names and authorization. The guard handed the wands back and stepped to the side. Bill pushed the door open.


The room they entered was dimly lit with torches. The ceiling couldn’t be seen, the walls seeming to stretch forever, lined with boxes, neatly organized by number. A small table stood in the middle of the room. The goblin sitting on a stool at the end continued to scribble in his large record book.


“Don’t touch anything,” Bill whispered.


Anna smiled. “I know. You forget, Bill. I’m the one who set up the wards in this room many moons ago.” Stepping forward, Anna smiled and stretched out her hand. “Hello, Swelf.”


Bill’s mouth dropped open. He’d never seen a goblin smile before. Or at least that’s what he thought the goblin at the end of the table was doing. To be honest, it was kind of hard to tell under all the wrinkles. Swelf looked like he could be as old as the stone the walls were built of. The aged goblin scooted off his chair and enclosed Anna’s hand in his own.


“Ms. Patterson. Welcome home. What can I do for you?”


“I’m here to clear out a box.”


“Do you have the key?”


“Uh, yeah, it’s here,” Anna set her tea down on the table and dug her hand into her pocket, pulling out a handkerchief, a handful of sickles, a quill tip, a piece of string and the key. Several coins rolled across the polished wooden surface and bounced to the floor as she dropped it all on the table. Anna fished out the key and handed to the goblin. Swelf took the key and walked over to the ladder resting in the corner. Climbing on the bottom rung, Swelf motioned with his hand and the ladder moved left a meter and stopped. With another motion, the step Swelf stood on began to rise, carrying the goblin up until Anna could only see the bottom of his shoes. Anna heard the key slide into a lock then the sliding of wood against wood and Swelf came back into view holding a rectangular shaped box. Swelf placed the box on the table and handed Anna back her key.


“It is good to see you again, Ms. Patterson,” the goblin said before returning to his parchment.


“Thank you, Swelf,” Anna replied, gathering up the box and her pocket contents and following Bill out of the room.


“Here,” Bill said, taking the safe box from Anna’s arms. “I’ll carry this. You have your hands full.”


Anna smiled gratefully at Bill as she stuffed her handkerchief and coins in her pockets.


“So, who did the box belong to?” Bill asked as he led the way to Anna’s desk.


Distracted by filling her pockets again, Anna replied without thinking. “Uh, Lily Evans, I think.”


Anna ran headfirst into Bill’s back as he stopped suddenly. Heads turned in their direction as sickles flew from Anna’s hands. Bill grabbed Anna by the elbow and directed her into a small conference room, closing the door behind them. “Lily Evans? As in Lily Evans Potter?


Anna cringed. She hadn’t wanted to make a big deal out of this. It was probably nothing. “Yes. I knew her as Lily Evans at Hogwarts.”


“How did you get a key to a box owned by Lily Potter?” Bill asked suspiciously, setting the box between them on the table and leaning toward Anna.


Anna blew her cheeks out as she felt the stress returning to her shoulders. “Lily Potter sent it to my father. I found it with a letter in my parent’s apartment when I cleaned it out.”


“Why would she send it to your father?” Bill asked disbelievingly, pulling a chair out and sitting down. Reaching out, he pulled the box toward him.


Anna plopped down in the chair facing Bill’s. “The letter didn’t specifically say,” she replied, nonchalantly placing her hand on top of the box and moving it back to her. “My father dabbled in protection spells, particularly the bond between mothers and their children. He even wrote a book on it.”


“But why would Lily Potter leave your father a key,” Bill asked, pointing his wand at the box and reeling it back, “and then your father just abandon the box?”


The box was half way across the table when Anna rolled her eyes, pointed her wand at it and uttered, “Remeo dirimo.” The box slid back. “Don’t even think about it,” she said as Bill opened his mouth to retaliate.


“Hold your nose,” she warned, pulling the key from her pocket.


Bill grabbed his nose as Anna inserted the key into the lock. A series of clicks followed and the key was spit out of the lock, followed by a puff of green acrid smelling smoke.


“You know, I know at least six spells that would fix the smell of the locking charm used on these, but every time I suggested one of them, Swelf would shoot my idea down. I think he likes the stink.” Waving her wand in the air, Anna muttered, “Expurgo,” released her nose and took a sniff. “Better. Alright, let’s see what’s in here.”


Anna carefully slipped her fingernail under the lid of the wooden box and lifted. Safe boxes were designed to expand and shrink depending on the contents. Lily’s box was the size of a standard roll of parchment, which is exactly what Anna pulled out. Setting the roll aside, Anna trailed her fingers to all corners of the box to make sure she hadn’t missed anything. Satisfied it was empty, she closed the lid and pushed it aside.


Anna rolled the parchment flat on the table and trailed her finger over the neat script. Bill scooted his chair over and began to read.


“Anna, is this about Blood Bonds?” Bill asked, not taking his eyes from the page.


Surprised, Anna looked up at the top of Bill’s head. “What do you know about Blood Bonds?”


Bill leaned back and tapped his fingers on the table top. “Ah, it’s a bit of a long story,” he said, scratching behind his left ear. “As it turns out, my sister has, well, participated in one, sort of.”


“Who’s her bond?”


“Harry Potter,” Bill replied quietly.


Anna paused, before asking the question she knew the answer to already. “Who trained them?”


“A witch by the name of Catarina Borgin. Her son is a professor at Hogwarts.”


“Nathan,” Anna said quietly.


“You know him?” Bill asked surprised.


Anna nodded.


“Anna, if Lily Potter was researching Blood Bonds in order to protect her family, I think the Order needs to know about this.”


Anna scanned the parchment again, her mind struggling to get around the information. “Lily had determined her love could protect Harry because of the blood they shared while he was in her womb. That protection is key to the maternal bond between mother and child. Even Muggles have it, though it manifests itself differently, tending to be more comforting than magical.”


“Anna? The Order? I think they should know,” Bill pestered.


“Hold on, hold on,” Anna said, waving her hand in Bill’s direction as she kept reading. “She was trying to see if that protection could stem to James. Well no,” Anna said, looking up, “of course, it couldn’t, because I’m guessing she wasn’t a Mediator.”


“How much do you know about Mediators?” Bill asked suspiciously.


“Oh, I’m not one,” Anna said, shaking her head. “I’ve heard about them, read about them. Amazing talent and abilities,” Anna set her tea mug on the table and returned to the parchment. “She was also trying to determine if the bond between mother and child could be shared. Hmmm….”


“Shared?”


“Uh, yes, shared. For example, the blood protection of such a maternal bond holds strong between a mother and her children. That protection can also be given to other female members of the mother’s family. Like with Harry’s aunt.”


“You know about the Dursleys?” Bill asked incredulously.


Anna nodded. “Dumbledore contacted my father about the use of the spell used to protect Harry. I remember the night very well. It’s hard to forget when Albus Dumbledore pops up at the end of your table in the middle of supper.”


“How old were you?” Bill teased, pushing his chair back on its back legs and raising his eyebrows at Anna.


“Old enough to remember,” Anna replied sourly. Anna tapped her finger on the parchment. “By shared, Lily wanted to find out if a mother’s protection could be passed on to a child she did not carry, such as an adopted child or say a child by marriage.”


Bill exhaled and dropped his chair forward. “Anna, I really think the Order should see this.”


Anna reached out to pick up the parchment, swiping her hand into her mug and tipping it over. Tea pooled out onto the parchment, ink beginning to run. “Oh crap!” Anna exclaimed. Pointing her wand at the spill, she muttered a drying charm, effectively evaporating the liquid and restoring the ink. Picking the parchment up, Anna waved it in the air just to make sure it was dry.


“Perhaps you’re right, Bill,” she said, rolling it back up and slipping it into her back pocket.


Not waiting for her to change her mind, Bill jumped up. “I’ll go see who I can round up. I’ll be back.”


“I’ll be at my desk,” Anna called after him.


Anna tucked the safe box under her arm and headed back to her desk. Placing the box on her desk, Anna flopped down into her chair, her eyes unfocused, staring at the wall in front of her. Bill was right. The Order should see this. More importantly, Nathan needed to see this. He would know what to do with it.


“Anna, you ready?” Bill asked, tapping her on the shoulder.


“Uh, yeah, yeah,” Anna said, pushing herself away from the desk. “I’m coming.”


Bright sunlight hit them square in the face as the guard opened the front doors of Gringotts for them. Squinting, Anna shaded her eyes with her hands as she hurried to keep up with Bill’s long strides.


“Where are we going?” Anna asked.


“Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes,” Bill replied, glancing over his shoulder to make sure she was keeping up.


“The joke shop? Ah, Weasley’s “ relations of yours?”


“My brothers Fred and George own it. If you ever have a need for a good prank, they’re your men. Watch your step,” Bill cautioned as he pushed the door open.


Anna sidestepped the never stopping broom and dust pan as it moved in to sweep up the confetti floating down from the bucket hanging above the door. She gave the shop an admiring once over.


“Bill,” Fred called from behind the counter, “nice of you to drop by.”


“And bring such beautiful company,” George said, popping his head out of the storeroom. “Where’s Fleur?”


“Who’s Fleur?” Anna asked, putting her hands on her hips in mock anger. “Bill! Are you seeing someone besides me?”


“’fraid so, Anna. She’s younger.” Bill grunted as Anna’s hand made contact with his stomach.


“You must be Anna,” Fred said, reaching his hand over the counter. “Bill’s told us about you. I’m Fred.”


“George,” George said, waving at her from the backroom, his hands a brilliant lime green.


Fred took a look around the front of the shop to determine it was empty and motioned toward the backroom with his head. “Go on back. Kingsley’s here. So is Mundungus and Moody. Stewart should be back soon. I’ll come back when he gets here to watch the front.”


Bill nodded and took Anna’s elbow in order to direct her behind the counter. They both looked back just as the front door slammed open, the entire bucket of confetti flying forward, crashing into the glass shelves displaying the Skiving Snack Boxes. As the glass shelves fell like dominoes, shards of glass skating in all directions, Stewart fell to his knees in the doorway, his eyes wide, his face pale.


“Attack!” Stewart whispered, staring blindly around the shop, blood soaking through the knees of his pants where the glass had cut through.


“Stewart?” Fred exclaimed, running forward. “Stewart? What happened?”


Stewart grabbed onto Fred’s shirtfront and leaned against him. “Di “ Diagon Alley’s under Attack,” he forced out, before falling forward onto the floor, dragging Fred down with him.


Fred reached out and felt for a pulse. Slowly he removed his hand from Stewart’s neck and reached down to loosen the clerk’s grip on his shirt. “He’s alive. Barely,” Fred said stunned. Leaning back on his heels, it took a moment for what had happened to sink in. Suddenly, Fred pushed himself off the ground. “Right! We’re under attack! Everybody get down!” he yelled pulling Stewart’s unconscious form behind the front counter.


Shadows blocked out the sun that had been streaming in the open door. Where Stewart had been, two Death Eaters now stood, wands at the ready. Anna stood frozen, as she watched the two hooded figures approach, exploding spells smashing everything in their wake. Smoke filled the storefront, clogging her lungs and making it difficult to see. The noise was deafening. A hand grabbed the belt of her pants and yanked her behind the counter. Stumbling down, she fell, hitting the floor with a thud.


“Stay down!” a gravelly voice shouted above her.


Scrambling up, Anna came face to face with Alastor Moody. Mad Eye’s magical eye focused briefly on Anna before swirling back in his head.


“Kingsley and Mundungus are out back. George is too. If it’s the entire Alley, people are going to need help. Who are you?”


Anna swallowed, trying not to stare at Moody’s eye. “Anna Patterson.”


“Stay low, Ms. Patterson.”


Bill nodded at Moody as he crouched down next to Anna. “You alright?”


“They’ve got to be nuts!” Anna hissed at Bill. “What do they expect to accomplish?”


Moody growled, “Mass destruction. Mass confusion. Massive casualties.”


“Damn! It’s the day before school starts,” Anna cursed, tears of anger burning her eyes. “How dare they!”


“They don’t feel, that’s how they dare,” Moody growled before disappearing into the backroom, followed closely by Fred.


Anna’s stomach churned with disgust. Her nostrils flared as anger lit her eyes. Shoving against the polished floor, she threw her arm over the counter and aimed for the nearest robed figure.


EXTUNDO!


The Death Eater screamed as flashes of fire red light beat it backward.


“Good one!” Bill shouted. “Where’d you learn it?”


“Old friend,” Anna replied as she took aim again. The stunning spell she sent toward another Death Eater hit its mark. A flash of green light streamed over the top of the counter as Anna ducked down. Her heart pounding, she could feel the sweat forming between her shoulder blades. Counting to five to steady herself, Anna took aim again and sent a bludgeoning spell in the direction of the green light.


Bill jumped up behind the register and shot a stunning spell at a third Death Eater coming in the door. The spell hit the hooded figure square in the chest, sending him flying backward into the front display of Ton Tongue Toffees. Brightly wrapped candies sprayed forth from the fallen barrel, mixing with the glass on the floor.


Bill leaned around the end of the counter, sending a bludgeoning spell at an approaching figure. He sprang back in time to shove Anna against the wall. Anna slammed into the wood narrowly missing being hit by a piece of ceiling tile
crashing down. The wall Anna landed against shook violently as something exploded in the backroom.


“What the hell was that?” Anna yelled, spinning on her knees in the direction of the back door. She could see the door was open, the side alley filled with smoke and screams. Coughing as her lungs clogged with dust and debris, Anna crawled into the backroom and stood up.


“What was it?” Bill yelled over his shoulder.


“I think it was a cauldron,” Anna yelled, kicking a piece of black iron covered with neon orange slime out of the way. She felt an insane urge to giggle and tears form at the corners of her eyes.


“Well then, I could use some help out here!”


“Right!”


Anna dove behind the counter next to Bill, her vision fuzzy with stupid tears. She saw a blur of black outside in the street and her heart went cold. Her world shifted into slow motion. Her mouth opened to scream as Bill stood up and aimed his wand at the broken window. His mouth opened, but no sound came out. Bill flew back, ricocheting off the back wall. He slumped to the ground.


“NO!” Anna screamed, swiping her eyes with her sleeve and pointing her wand at the Death Eater.


ATTONARE!


Without looking to see the impact of her stunning spell, Anna aimed her wand in Bill’s direction and yelled, “CONTEGO!” An invisible shield formed around Bill, protecting him from another piece of ceiling tile that smashed to the ground.


Anna’s chest heaved as she struggled to stand up and catch her breath. Her shirt stuck to the sweat coursing down her front. Anna ran her hands through her hair as she examined the damage.


“You alright?” Fred shouted, bursting through the curtain separating the back of the shop from the front.


Anna nodded. “Bill!“ she gasped.


“Right!” Fred shouted, turning.


Anna didn’t see the bone crushing curse that hit her in the shoulder with a sickening crack. Instantaneous pain shot from her arm up to her brain then throughout her body. She screamed, dropping to her knees behind the counter, her left arm hanging limply by her side.


“Come out, come out wherever you are.”


The evil in the sing “ song voice sent chills up Anna’s spine. Nausea rolled her stomach. Anna gasped, swallowing her pain and pointing the wand at her shoulder. She muttered a numbing spell. Her shoulder still throbbed but she could function. Her left arm limp at her side, Anna firmly fisted her hand around her wand. She pushed herself up the wall behind the counter and aimed a bludgeoning spell in the direction of the voice. Anna watched as the screeching Death Eater flew back, the hood sliding off to reveal a head of dark hair. As she hit the floor, Bellatrix LeStrange returned the bludgeoning spell, slamming Anna into the wall. Anna screamed as pain shot through her shoulder and she slumped to the floor.


REDUCTO!


The counter shielding Anna from the rest of the store exploded, sending shards of wood and chunks of countertop crashing to the floor, splinters cutting her face, arms, and clothing. Anna pointed her wand up and shouted, “PROTEGO!” deflecting another bone crushing curse as she struggled to her feet.


“You are going to die,” Bellatrix shrieked at Anna. “Why fight it?”


“Because I’m not finished here yet,” Anna hissed, pointing her wand at Bellatrix’s chest. “AESTUO SANIES!


Bellatrix fell to the floor, her fingers clawing at her skin as liquid fire erupted in her veins. Anna fell against the wall, panting. That blood boiling curse was a good one, she thought absurdly.


CRUCIO!


Anna crashed to the floor screaming in agony, her shoulder crumpling underneath her, her head slamming into the marble floor. Bellatrix’s hand shook as the searing heat flooded her body causing the spell to waver. Anna’s world began to turn blissfully black when suddenly the pain lifted. Starbursts of light clouded her vision. Anna blinked but the glow just seemed to get worse. Praying she wouldn’t vomit, Anna gritted her teeth and pushed up with all her strength. She drew a ragged breath as she stumbled on her feet.


“OY!”


Anna couldn’t form any words. She raised her head to look at one of the Weasley twins. Must be George, she thought fuzzily. Green hands.


“Come on. They’re gone. Let’s get you help.”


Anna felt her senses begin to let go as her body decided to give her relief from the pain. As the darkness washed over her, she saw one last Death Eater standing by the door. She watched in fascination as he turned and raised his hood. She would have screamed if she could have.


+++++


Nathan Apparated into Hell. The stench of burning flesh mixed with cobblestone and brick dust filled his nostrils. Explosions vibrated the ground under his feet. Screams of pain rang in his ears. Nathan’s stomach churned as he realized why he’d been called here. It was the day before the start of term. Students and their parents would be in Diagon Alley to purchase school supplies. This was senseless.


“What took you so long?”


Nathan whirled around to see a fellow Death Eater “ McNair, was it? - flinging himself against the side of Eeylops Owl Emporium. “You should have been here!” McNair shouted at him.


“Where I’ve been is none of you’re concern!” Nathan shouted back, throwing himself against the opposite wall.


Nathan knew what was expected of him. He glanced down the alley, counting at least a dozen or so Death Eaters. In between the buildings, he saw Order members fighting back, protecting the innocent with their lives.


“What are you waiting for?” McNair yelled at Nathan.


Nathan aimed his wand at Elphias Doge who was crouching down behind a flower pot in front of the Apothecary’s.


SOPORIFER!


Nathan watched as his deep sleep spell hit the silver haired wizard in the forehead. Doge’s eyes slid shut and Nathan lost sight of him as he slumped behind the pot.


“I didn’t think you had it in you,” Malfoy sneered, coming up from behind.


Nathan squelched the panic forming in his stomach. “What do you mean, Malfoy?”


“To actually attack an Order member,” Malfoy smirked.


Nathan exhaled. Malfoy wouldn’t know an Ancient sleeping spell if it hit him square in the forehead. “I’m a faithful servant, Malfoy, just like you,” Nathan answered.


“Do you have any news for our Master?” Malfoy hissed, sending a bludgeoning curse in the direction of the counter.


“Two days. Severus will have the potion brewed in two days.”


“I will give him the news.”


“No, I’ll tell him myself!” Nathan spat as he shot a stunning spell into the street.


Malfoy ran down the street, staying close to the shops. Not wanting to loose him, Nathan followed. He ran, ducking into storefronts, choking on the dust and debris. Peering around the doorframe, Nathan saw Lucius halt and aim. Nathan couldn’t stop it. He desperately tried to convince himself of that. But he knew, in his mind, he would see the green light hit Emmeline Vance, killing her instantaneously over and over again for the rest of his life. Nathan’s chest ached as he gulped air in, forcing himself to stay focused. He turned to glare at Malfoy.


But Malfoy wasn’t there. His heart racing, Nathan charged down the street, his eyes hunting for his fellow Death Eater. He turned the corner. Malfoy was raising his wand. Nathan followed the wand. He saw the tell-tale Weasley red hair behind the counter.


“He’s mine,” hissed Malfoy, raising his wand. “AVADA KEDAVRA!


CONICO!


Malfoy screamed as Nathan’s shoulder made contact with his wand hand, sending the Unforgivable Curse toward the ceiling of the shop. Nathan saw his hurling curse hit its mark, flinging Bill into the wall behind him.


“BORGIN! WHAT WERE ““


His words were cut short as the Unforgiveable Curse struck the ceiling, a chunk of tile and wood crashing to the shop floor. The force of a lightening bolt pitched Malfoy into the wall of the shop behind them, a sickening thud of skull meeting brick filling the space.


Watching Malfoy, Nathan didn’t see the wizard behind the wand but he felt the sledgehammer blow to his back as he was thrown face first into the cobblestone street. Gasping for air, Nathan rolled over to a sitting position only to find himself looking straight at the tip of a wand. He looked up.


“Fred?” he asked breathlessly, realizing he had his hood on. Reaching up, he lifted the side so his face was visible. “Its me, Borgin.”


“Borgin! What the hell are you doing here?” Fred exclaimed, dropping his wand.


“Got called in. Point your ruddy wand at me.”


Fred jabbed his wand at Nathan’s stomach. “What’s wrong with Bill?”


“He’s unconscious. He’ll be fine.”


“I can’t touch him!”


“What happens?”


“Sparks.”


Nathan tried to look around Fred. He only knew one person who used a shield like that.


“It’s a shield charm,” Nathan glanced over his shoulder at another hooded Death Eater who was coming his way. “I’m really sorry about this Fred. Soporifer!


Fred slumped to the ground as intense pain flooded Nathan’s body, causing him to writhe in agony on the street. He screamed, his eyes tearing, his arms flailing as he fought to throw it off. As sudden as it came, it was gone. Nathan lurched to his feet, his hands on his knees, wheezing.


“You are a fool, Borgin,” Malfoy sneered, shoving him back onto the street.


Malfoy aimed his wand at Nathan’s chest but was knocked off his feet by McNair who was recoiling in the street from a curse. Screaming in frustration, Malfoy tried to right himself. Nathan used every ounce of strength he had to punch his legs out sending Malfoy sprawling.


A scream of sheer pain came from the shop. His chest heaving, Nathan turned to look through the broken window. Bellatrix LeStrange fell back onto the floor clawing at her skin. The witch raised her wand and shakily pointed it toward what was left of the counter. Nathan lurched toward the doorway of the joke shop as Bella raised her wand and Disapparated.


In a flash, searing pain burned his arm. Hissing, he clamped his hand over his forearm. The remaining Death Eaters were vanishing. Malfoy’s body was gone. As he pulled his hood up, Nathan’s brown eyes locked briefly with a familiar pair of hazel ones. His heart constricted as he quickly looked away and vanished.


+++++


Nathan lifted his face to the sky, the early afternoon rain hitting his face in short, stinging shots. Pushing his hood back, Nathan opened his mouth, letting the wetness soak through his robes to his skin, washing away the events of the morning. He welcomed the chill that traveled from his feet to his head, freezing him, making him numb. His eyes closed, he didn’t see the door open.


“There are easier ways to kill yourself, Borgin, than attempting to drown yourself in the rain.”


Nathan opened his eyes and looked disbelievingly at the Potions Master.


“How do you do it, Severus? How do you put up with it all?” he asked, holding his hands up to the sky. “How do you do it without absolutely hating yourself?” Nathan dropped his hands to his sides and stepped up the first step toward Snape. “Maybe more importantly, how do you forgive yourself?”


The expression in Snape’s dark eyes was unreadable but the tone of the his voice was unmistakable. “You don’t,” he replied coldly. “Did you tell him?”


Nathan felt the rain slide under the collar of his shirt to mingle with the dried perspiration on his back. “Yes, I told him.”


“What did you tell him?”


Nathan wiped at the rain running in front of his eyes, obscuring his vision. “What we agreed on - that you could make the potion in two days, Severus.”


“And he believed you?”


“I’m still alive, aren’t I?”


“How is he?”


“Weakened…Strained.”


“Does he know yet, about his inability to bond with Miss Weasley?”


“No, I don’t believe so. I haven’t told him.”


“What about ““


“No, he hasn’t either. He knows he would be killed if he did.”


“Will the Dark Lord recover?”


Nathan looked up into Severus’ black eyes and smiled a rather unbalanced smile. “You know the answer to that, Severus.”


“Professor Borgin? Professor Snape? What are you doing out here! It is pouring!” Professor McGonagall peered around the open door to look incredulously at the two grown men. “Come inside or I’m shutting you both out here for the rest of the day and you’ll have to see if Hagrid will take pity on you.”


Professor McGonagall stepped to the side to allow her peers to enter. Nathan raised his wand and performed a drying charm on his clothes, then swiped his sleeve under his runny nose.


“Really, Borgin. How old are you?” Snape snapped.


Nathan rolled his eyes and turned to Professor McGonagall. “Are they here?”


“They’re settled. Madame Pomfrey has assured me they will both recover, although Ms. Patterson may be here a while longer than Mr. Weasley as her injuries are more severe.”


Nathan nodded. “Thank you. Where is the Headmaster?”


“He is in the Hospital Wing. I believe he is expecting you.”


+++++



Professor Dumbledore tapped the railing on the end of Bill’s bed. “Madam Pomfrey has assured me they will both fully recover.”


Ginny nodded, her eyes on her brother, not trusting herself to speak. She couldn’t remember Bill ever being hurt. Bill was…Bill. He just kept going. Wrapping her hand around his, she tried to swallow the lump forming in her throat.


“Who is she?” Harry asked, glancing over at the woman in the bed across the ward.


“Her name is Anna Patterson,” Dumbledore answered. “Her injuries were much more severe than Mr. Weasley’s, but she will recover. It appears she was with Bill at the time of the attacks. Since St. Mungos was full, Professor Borgin contacted us to bring her and your brother here.”


“Professor Borgin knows her?” Ginny asked, her voice cracking.


“Yes, I do,” Nathan answered tiredly, as he stepped into the Hospital Wing.


“Professor Borgin. Sit down. Let me take a look at you, too. I doubt you took any better care of yourself than these two here.” Madam Pomfrey swooped down on Nathan and pushed him back onto a nearby bed. Running her wand up his front and down his back, Poppy Pomfrey clicked her tongue in disapproval. “Where have you been, Professor Borgin? You should have come straight to me after being hit with those curses. Time only makes the healing process worse. You of all people should know that. I will be right back. You stay there.”


As Madam Pomfrey bustled off to her office, Nathan began to rise.


“SIT!”


Nathan dropped back down, flushing slightly.


“You saw Tom?” Dumbledore asked, crossing the floor to Nathan’s bed.


“Yes,” Nathan replied, glancing over at Anna’s bed. She lay so still. Turning back to the Headmaster, he nodded. “I told him two days. He wasn’t pleased.”


“How is he?” Dumbledore asked.


“Weakened. He is in pain, but that won’t last for long. You can see it in his eyes, hear it in his voice.”


“What will the potion do?” Harry asked.


“It will provide him some relief by ““


“Provide him relief? Why do we want to give him relief?” Ginny cried disbelievingly from Bill’s side.


“It will provide him some relief,” Nathan repeated, “by masking his symptoms. He will believe he’s better, but in reality, not much has changed.”


“Oh,” Ginny said, feeling her cheeks grow warm.


“I assume if it is allowed by Madam Pomfrey, Miss Weasley will be wanting to stay for a while,” Dumbledore commented. Madam Pomfrey nodded.


Harry turned to look at Nathan who was holding an empty glass and grimacing. “Ugh “ nasty stuff,” Nathan said, his nose wrinkled.


“Very well,” Dumbldore said, patting Harry on the shoulder. “I have to prepare for this evening. Nathan, you should come, too. Poppy will let you know when she is awake.”


“Right,” Nathan cleared his throat and cast a wary eye at the nurse who rolled her eyes at him and waved him off. “I have a few things to do as well before the students descend.” Nathan’s eyes traveled over the still form of Anna once more before reluctantly following the Headmaster.


Harry glanced up at Ginny who had turned back to Bill’s bed. Slowly, he stepped to her side and put his arm around Ginny’s shoulders and squeezed. “He’s going to be alright,” he assured her, placing a kiss on the side of her head.


Ginny nodded and drew a ragged breath. “I know,” she whispered. “It’s “ it’s just this war…”


“I know,” Harry said softly, pulling her close. “I know.”


++++++


Later that evening, Ron, Harry, Hermione and Ginny sat at a table in the Gryffindor Common Room. Ron sat, slumped against the back of his chair, staring at the middle of the table. Hermione’s brow furrowed as she tapped her fingers together. Ginny propped her elbows on the table and pushed her forehead into her hands, trying to massage away the headache forming across her brow. Harry studied his hands which were clenched together in his lap.


Ron cleared his throat. “Dumbledore says he’ll be alright.”


“Yeah,” Harry replied.


“Fred’s alright, and George says their shop will reopen as soon as possible.”


“Uh “ huh,” Ginny said into her palms.


“I’m sorry you missed your last ride to Hogwarts on the train, Harry,” Hermione added.


Harry simply nodded.


“And you’re Head Boy,” Ron said focusing his eyes on Harry. “And you’re Head Girl,” Ron said nodding at Hermione.


“And you aren’t bonded,” Hermione stated.


“Nope,” Harry replied, shaking his head.


“And Catarina’s dead, and Voldemort is still the bad guy and the sky is still blue,” Ginny said frustrated, pushing her chair back.


“Ginny - Harry, look, I’m sorry,” Ron reached out toward him. “I just couldn’t see past the whole ““


“Ron, it really doesn’t matter,” Ginny said, rubbing her tired eyes.


“Yeah, it does -“


“No, it doesn’t,” Harry said quietly.


“Really?”


“Yeah, really,” Harry replied. “Look, I’m done. Classes start tomorrow. We should go to bed.”


“Boy, you already sound like a Head Boy, too,” Ron said grinning for the first time since he’d heard the news about Bill.


“Congratulations, Harry,” Hermione said, giving him a quick hug.


“You too, Hermione,” Harry replied.


Hermione leaned down and gave Ron a kiss before heading up the stairs to the girl’s dormitory.


“’night, Gin,” Harry said, leaning down to give her a kiss. Standing up, he saw Ron wrinkling his nose at him. “What?”


“Uh, nothing,” Ron said, looking back at Ginny. “’night, Ginny.”


“Good night,” Ginny yawned, following Hermione up the steps.


+++++


Ginny ran her hands over the top of her trunk that had been placed at the foot of her four poster bed. Her own clothes, at last. Opening the top, she rifled through her belongings, grabbing a nightgown and her toothbrush. She shuffled off to the loo. Five minutes later, she shuffled back, dumping her clothes on top of her truck. Ginny pushed aside the heavy curtains shielding her bed from view and climbed in. She yelped as her knee hit a solid mass that hissed back.


“Ginny? You alright?”


“Yeah, Joanna, I’m fine,” Ginny replied, squinting into the murky darkness. Picking up her wand, Ginny whispered, “Lumos!”


Chehalis sat at the end of Ginny’s bed, tail tapping, a perturbed look on his face. Ginny sat back on her heels. “Chehalis, what are you do “ oh. Right,” she said, running her hand through her hair. “What about Professor Borgin? Don’t you want to be with him?”


Chehalis cocked his head to the side. Please!


“Suit yourself,” Ginny said, scooting under her covers.


Chehalis padded up Ginny’s body and circled Ginny’s pillow three times before plopping down in front of her face. Ginny grimaced as she blew the fur out of her nose.


++++



A/N “ My thanks to my husband who asked me how my writing was coming. When I told him I was in the middle of a battle, he told me, “May the Force be With You.”


To Melindaleo for looking forward to fireworks…I was torn about including some and your review tipped the scales. Thanks!


And to my beta/collaborator wvchemteach who let me borrow a spell or two and Kissmegrint for her second set of eyes “ thanks! And now, Anya, too “ the more the merrier!
Fondness by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not profit monetarily from the Harry Potter world.





Levels of Fondness






The castle was alive. Ginny couldn’t help but grin at the walls as she hurried down the corridor toward the Hospital Wing. Granted, the energy bouncing off the walls was subdued compared to years past. The hallways weren’t quite as crowded. Students seemed a little more wary of each other. But, since the beginning of classes two days ago, the veins of the old castle were pumping full of life again. It was hard to not feel excited about that.


All the beds in her dormitory were full. That wasn’t the case for most. Some families had chosen not to send their students back to Hogwarts, despite the repeated assurances from Professor Dumbledore that the wards were in place to keep the castle protected. Other students weren’t able to return at all.


A memorial had been set up in the front hall to honor the students who had died in the war, most casualties of Death Eater attacks. There was an aura of solitude around the black marble slabs magically levitating in one corner of the front hall, the names of the fallen engraved in gold on them. On her way to and from the Great Hall, Ginny found herself drawn to the tablets. She would pause in front of them, her fingers tracing the names of students, some she knew, some she didn’t, her throat thickening with unshed tears for the lives that had been cut short.


Thankfully, though, her family had been spared once more. Bill had woken up yesterday, groggy and in pain, but alive. Madam Pomfrey had insisted on giving him a sleeping potion for another day. The school nurse had said that while the actual spell damage was minimal, Bill’s physical injuries were considerable. Madam Pomprey had claimed the force that threw Bill against the wall of the twin’s shop would have moved a mountain, but, of course, it was better than the alternative. Professor Borgin had been in the ward at the time, standing by Anna’s bed. Seeing him blush, Ginny realized Nathan probably had something to with her brother still being alive. She had smiled gratefully at him. Nathan had nodded back.


Ginny shifted her book bag to the side and pushed the doors open to the Hospital Wing. Bill was sitting up in bed, looking rather disgruntled by the breakfast tray resting on his knees. As the doors swung shut, he looked up at his sister, relieved.


“Please tell me you’ve brought me something edible,” Bill pleaded.


“Now, Bill, I’m a Prefect,” Ginny teased, setting her book bag down on the end of his bed. Looking in the direction of the nurse’s office, she undid the front buckle. “If I were to go against Madam Pomfrey’s wishes, that just wouldn’t be right.” Ginny reached inside the bag and drew out three sausages and some toast wrapped in a napkin. Leaning forward, she gave Bill a quick kiss on the cheek and whispered in his ear, “Harry’s bringing more.” Ginny tapped his knee. “Scoot over,” she said and climbed up on the end of his bed.


Bill grinned. “It’s good to have connections.”


“And don’t you forget it.”


“So, rumor has it you want to follow in your big brother’s footsteps.”


“Well, you know, I’ve always been good with magical creatures. I think working with dragons would be really interesting,” Ginny answered cheekily.


“And hot, too,” Bill replied sarcastically through a mouthful of sausages. “Have you told Mum?”


Ginny nodded. “I sent her a letter. I haven’t heard back yet. She not real happy with me at the moment.”


Bill nodded. “She’s got her heart in the right place, Gin.”


“I know,” Ginny replied, snagging a piece of toast. “But, Bill, I do too. I’m doing the right thing.”


“We’re not talking about your career choice anymore, are we?” Bill surmised.


“No, I suppose not,” Ginny sighed, picking at the blankets with her fingertips.


Bill covered her hand with his own and squeezed. Ginny looked up and met his gaze. “Ginny, you have to do what is right for you. Mum will come around eventually.”


“You really think so?” Ginny asked skeptically.


“Well, no, but she’ll learn to live with it,” Bill admitted truthfully. “I mean, she’s finally stopped bugging me to cut my hair.”


Ginny snorted. “Major life choice, that.”


“Actually, it is,” Bill grinned. “Fleur said she’d ditch me if I cut it.”


“Well, we couldn’t have that, could we?” Ginny teased.


“Absolutely not,” Bill agreed. “Not only is she intelligent and beautiful, she’s willing to put up with you lot. That’s hard to find.”


“You can say that again,” Ginny giggled, as the door to the Hospital Wing swung open and Harry entered. “We’d better hang onto them, huh?”


“Hang onto what?” Harry asked, stretching his hand out to shake Bill’s. “How are you feeling, Bill?”


“Better,” Bill said, wincing a bit as his shoulder muscles stretched to reach for Harry’s hand. “Thanks.” Bill’s eyes traveled to Harry’s book bag slung over his shoulder then to Madam Pomfrey’s office. He waved at the nurse as she looked up from her notes. “So, Harry, any interesting books in that bag?”


“Uh, yeah, a few. Here, have a look,” he said, setting the bag down within Bill’s reach. Harry looked over his shoulder at Anna’s still form. “How is she doing?”


“Don’t know,” Bill answered, his nose in Harry’s bag, rifling through the contents. “Ah “ ha,” he exclaimed in triumph, pulling out a lumpy napkin with slowly spreading grease spots on it. Shielding it with Harry’s bag, Bill unwrapped the bundle to find a couple of biscuits, some more sausages, a piece of cheese and an apple. “I asked Madam Pomfrey, but she said it was none of my concern, even when I told her Anna was my co-worker and an old friend.”


“Which brother of mine are you?” Ginny asked, wrinkling her nose as Bill shoved a biscuit into his mouth. “Wait, you know her?” she asked, taking a second look at the woman in the bed opposite Bill’s.


Bill grunted affirmatively as he took another bite of biscuit and swallowed. “You know, Ginny, you should talk to her. That is if you decide dragons aren’t your thing. She’s my new boss.”


“Dragons?” Harry asked surprised.


“Really?” Ginny asked impressed. “She’s a curse-breaker?”


“One of the best. In fact, she’s somewhat knowledgeable on Blood Bonds, too.”


“How do you know that?” Ginny asked.


“It’s a bit of a long story,” Bill said, crumpling up the napkins that had held his contraband breakfast.


“And one that will wait for another time,” Madam Pomfrey announced as she approached Bill’s bed.


Harry discreetly took the napkins from Bill as the nurse removed his breakfast tray and ran her wand up and down Bill’s body.


“Don’t you two have class? Being Head Boy does not get you out of your studies, Mr. Potter,” Madam Pomfrey said, her eyes twinkling.


“Yes, ma’am,” Harry replied, closing his book bag and slinging it back over his shoulder.


“I’ll come by later,” Ginny said, pushing herself off the bed and picking up her own bag. Ginny leaned over to give Bill a quick kiss on the cheek.


“By later, I assume that means we’ll see you around lunch?” Madam Pomfrey commented to Harry and Ginny’s retreating backs as the doors closed behind them.


+++++


“Hey Harry,” Neville said, standing up from his place at the Gryffindor table in the Great Hall. “You can have my seat.”


“You leaving?” Ron asked, looking up from his plate.


“Yeah,” Neville said, picking up his book bag. “Professor Sprout is letting me assist her in taking care of Greenhouse One. She’s also letting me help out with some of the first year classes and extra help sessions. I need to go to make sure everything’s ready for tomorrow.”


“Congratulations, Neville! That’s wonderful,” Hermione smiled widely at him.


“Thanks, Hermione,” Neville blushed. He turned and almost ran into Bill and Ginny walking toward the table. “Hiya Ginny. Hiya Bill,” he greeted as he passed.


“Bill! How are you feeling?” Hermione asked, scooting over to make room.


“Good,” Bill grinned at her. “Madam Pomfrey says I get to go home tomorrow. Man, are these tables smaller than they used to be?”


“Wafoean?” Ron asked through a mouthful of roll.


“Ronald!” Hermione admonished. “Don’t talk with food in your mouth. That’s disgusting!”


“Not nearly as disgusting as having a Mudblood for Head Girl.”


“Malfoy ““ Ron made the move to stand up to face the pale faces Slytherin who had come up behind Bill.


Hermione placed her hand on his arm. “Ron, don’t.”


“Hermione ““


“No, Ron, he’s not worth it.”


“And Potter, Dumbledore’s favorite,” Maloy sneered, smirking at Ron.


“Go away, Malfoy,” Harry snapped as he stood up to face Malfoy.


“You know, Potter, at least as Head Boy you’ll have a lot of more places to shag your girlfriend.”


Harry took a step toward Malfoy. Looking down his nose at him, Harry clenched his hand around his wand at his side and struggled to keep his temper.


“Take that back, Malfoy,” he growled.


“Why should I?” Malfoy taunted.


“Because if you go further, you’ll get more than just detention with Hagrid,” Harry threatened.



“You can’t do that,” Malfoy argued.



“Yes, I can,” Harry replied coldly. “I can do that…and more.”



“Harry, leave him be,” Bill said, standing up behind Harry and putting his hand on his shoulder.



Harry stood for a moment, his eyes flashing fire at Malfoy, before turning away.


“You know, Potter, you're just lucky your girlfriend’s father still has a job at the Ministry so he could keep her from getting suspended. But that won’t last long.”


“What do you mean by that?” Ginny asked, standing up and joining Bill and Harry.


“Ah, the underage witch speaks.”


Harry’s wand hand flew up. Ginny grabbed it. “No! Harry, you can’t!”


“Can’t?” Malfoy asked, his eyebrows raised.


Ron climbed over the bend and stepped in between them. “Malfoy, go away. You aren’t welcome over here.”


“Gentlemen, is there a problem?” Professor McGonagall asked as she approached the group.


“No,” Draco said, taking another step back. “No problem at all,” he smirked, his eyes lingering on Harry’s wand.


Ginny plopped down on the bench, her eyes staring unfocused on the floor in front of her. “What did he mean “ Oh!” Ginny turned to Harry. “Harry, he must have found out about “ your birthday gift to me,” she said, glancing at Professor McGonagall who had thankfully walked out of earshot.


Harry thought for a moment. Suddenly the picture from his second year of a certain house elf, an airborne pudding, and his aunt and uncle’s sitting room floated across his memory.


“There must have been a letter,” Harry muttered, shaking his head.


“He needs to pay,” Ron stated coldly.


“And he will,” Harry said with the utmost certainty.


“You should have just let me curse him, Hermione,” Ron said, plopping down next to his girlfriend.


“Cursing him in the Great Hall isn’t worth it,” Hermione replied, taking a sip of pumpkin juice.


“And just when will he be worth it?” Ron asked exasperated.


“Like that? Never. Lowering yourself to his level makes him your equal and Draco Malfoy will never be your equal. You have the ability to make him pay in other ways.”


Ron blinked at Hermione for a second as her words soaked in. Then, his face turned as red as his hair. Leaning over, Ron took Hermione’s face in his hands and planted his lips firmly on hers.


“You know,” Ginny said wrinkling her nose as her brother snogged his girlfriend, “if that wasn’t so truthful, I think I’d be sick.”


“Hear, hear,” Harry said lifting his glass to hers.


++++


Her bangs moved. Her forehead itched. Why wasn’t she able to scratch it? Why could she not move her fingers? She couldn’t move her arm. What was wrong with her arm? Anna tried to tell her arm to move. Move. MOVE, Dammit!


“Anna? It’s alright, Anna. Shhhh, calm down.”


Anna stopped struggling. Her bangs moved again.


Open your eyes, Anna.


Anna willed her eyelids to open. She felt the perspiration forming under her hairline at the effort. Slowly, the black became fuzzy gray. Her mouth felt like cotton. She swallowed.


Water, I need water.


Anna tried to make her eyelids blink. Or at least she thought she did. Things went black then fuzzy gray. She tried to clear her vision. She forced her eyelids open again. She screamed.


“Anna! Shhh!” Nathan clamped his hand over her mouth.


Anna clawed at his hand, fighting against his strength. “You,” she croaked. “You stay away from me!”


“Anna, let me explain!”


“No, no, NO!” she said, trying to push away from him. Tears began to leak out of her eyes which were wide and wild, and focused on Nathan. “Why won’t my arm move? Stay away!” she cried harshly.


“Anna, your shoulder is shattered. Madam Pomfrey has immobilized your arm so it can heal.”


“Madam Pomfrey?” Anna asked, trying to focus on the room. “Where am I?”


“Hogwarts,” Nathan answered quietly.


“How did I get here?” she asked suspiciously. “How long have I been here?”


“A few days. After the attack on Diagon Alley, St. Mungos was packed. I made arrangements to bring you and Bill Weasley here.”


Anna’s brow furrowed as she tried to understand. “Bill’s here? Does “ does he know a “ a “ ab…” Anna’s voice trailed off as her eyes flashed to Nathan’s covered forearm.


“Yes, Anna, he knows. And it’s not what it looks like.”


“Where is Bill?” Anna asked, looking around the ward.


“He’s at dinner. He wasn’t as badly hurt as you were.”


Nathan ran his hand through his hair before sitting back down in the chair at the side of the bed. He tapped the blankets with his fingertips. Anna jerked her knee away, not wanting any contact with him.


“Anna, this isn’t what it looks like,” Nathan repeated.


Anna looked suspiciously at him, fighting the mounting disappointment that was crashing through her heart. She had never once thought he would change that much, not the Nathan she had met, fallen in love with and married. He was too noble, too good. He had been too noble, had been too good.


Anna ran her tongue across her parched lips. Nathan picked up a glass from the table. If she hadn’t been so thirsty, she would have fought his touch. Instead, she let him gently lift her head so she could take a sip of water from the glass he held to her lips.


“Thank you,” she said as he set the glass back on the table.


“You’re welcome.”


Nathan couldn’t meet her eyes. Anna needed to see his.


“If this isn’t what it looks like, then what is it?” she asked, her voice rusty.


Nathan looked up. What Anna read in his eyes made her heart ache.


Anna pressed her heels against the mattress and pushed herself up to a half sitting position. Nathan pulled a pillow off the neighboring bed and looked questioningly at Anna. Anna nodded and he put it behind her back, helping to prop her up. Nathan then sat back down, his head in his hands.


“I am not a Death Eater,” he whispered adamantly.


“You just dress like one?” Anna croaked.


“Yeah, no “ Anna, here, see,” Nathan unbuttoned his cuff and rolled up his sleeve.


Anna took a shaky breath and stared at the Dark Mark on Nathan’s arm. She was surprised by the urge to touch it, to see if it was real.


“How?” she whispered.


“I was ambushed. A man by the name of Lucius Malfoy knocked me out and took me to see Voldemort.”


Anna shuddered at the name of the Dark Lord but didn’t say anything.


“After meeting with him, I was knocked out again. I woke up in my flat with this,” Nathan said, gesturing to his arm.


“What have you had to do?” she asked quietly.


Nathan looked at Anna. He desperately wanted to share this with her, to have her run her hand though his hair, soothing away the pain and guilt like she used to when they were first married. He needed someone to share this burden with, someone who would understand the weight he carried around in his chest. Who better than his wife? But…Anna hadn’t been his wife for a very long time.


Nathan clasped his hands between his knees and looked out the window above Anna’s bed. “I lead him to my mother.”


Anna’s heart sank.


“I had just discovered her again. I had written to her for help “ with Harry and Ginny. And then I brought him to her.”


Nathan’s head sunk to the bed. His shoulders began to shake. The tears that splashed the blankets weren’t tears of anger and frustration. He was past that. These were the tears of a fourteen year old boy, left at school by his mother, to face an unknown future. These were tears of regret for moments and love missed. This was mourning for the moments they shared as adults, and for lost potential of future times. These were the tears that cleansed the soul and healed the wound so the living could carry on.


Nathan felt her gentle, hesitant touch on his head. Behind his closed eyes, he focused on the sensations of her fingers on his scalp, letting the comfort wash over him as she trailed them through his hair. His shoulders stopped shaking. His breathing slowed. He kept his forehead resting on the blankets, his chin resting on his hands, letting her help him heal.


Nathan wasn’t sure how long he stayed there. After a while, he felt Anna’s fingers slow, then stop, resting on his head. Nathan cleared his throat and lifted his head. Curled toward him, resting half on her side so she could reach him, Anna had fallen asleep. Nathan could see the silent, telltale tear tracks running down her cheeks, too. Nathan gently transferred Anna’s hand from his head to rest on her stomach. Standing up, he carefully shifted her onto to her back. He smiled slightly as she grumbled, trying to get comfortable. Anna always slept on her side, but her shoulder wasn’t going to allow that tonight. Nathan reached up and brushed her bangs to the side. Without thinking, he leaned down to place a soft kiss on her forehead.


“Sleep well, Anna,” he said backing up. “I’ll see you tomorrow.”


Stepping around the end of the bed, Nathan realized his heartache had shifted. He would always remember his mother for the amazing witch she was, and she would be with him always. But now, he had a bigger problem on his hands.


He was still in love in with his wife. He just wasn’t sure he wanted to be.



+++++



Bill meandered through the corridors of Hogwarts, his hands shoved in his pockets. Curious students glanced at him as he passed, the boys nodding in respect, the girls giggling into their robes. Being old enough to laugh at himself, Bill grinned at the flush he felt creeping up his cheeks at the attention. It’s a good thing Fleur isn’t here, he thought. She would find this hilarious. For lack of something better to do, Bill stopped in front of the Fat Lady.


“Password?” she sang.


“I have no idea,” Bill said grinning.


“Then I can’t let you in,” the Fat Lady replied, taking a second look at him. “Aren’t you a little old to be here?”


“Oh, I’m just visiting,” Bill replied, as she swung open to let a few Gryffindors out.


“I still can’t let you in,” the Fat Lady claimed, the portrait hole closing again.


“No problem. I’ll just stand here.”


“Lovely,” the Fat Lady replied sarcastically, settling herself back on her perch and examining her nails.


Bill leaned himself against the opposite wall folding his arms behind him, cocked his head to the side and smiled nonchalantly at the portrait. The Fat Lady tried to ignore him, but, quite frankly, it was really hard to ignore someone who was just so…well, cool. After five minutes, she just couldn’t take it any longer.


“You are really going to simply stand there and stare at me?”


“Yup.”


“Then I’m going visiting!” With that, the Fat Lady stood up and left her frame.


“Probably for the best, Bill. I don’t think Fleur would understand,” Nathan commented coming up the corridor.


“Nathan,” Bill smiled, extending his hand. “Good evening.”


“Good evening to you, too.” Nathan took the offered hand and shook it. “How are you feeling?”


“Well enough to go home tomorrow,” Bill said.


“Really? That is good news,” Nathan replied.


“Did you need something?”


“Well, I was planning on asking the Fat Lady for a date, but since you scared her off,” Nathan answered with a dejected look on his face, “I suppose I’ll have to settle for Harry and Ginny. Have you seen them?”


“I just left them at dinner in the Great Hall. I bet you could still find them there. What did you need?”


“I needed to touch base with them on a few things regarding their training. Perhaps I’ll go and see if I can catch them.”


“Mind if I come along? After talking to Anna, I’m rather intrigued by all of this.”


“You talked to Anna?” Nathan asked curiously as they started to head toward the Great Hall. “What did she say?”


“Uh, well,” Bill said, “she said she was familiar with Blood Bonds. And she had come by some information she was going to share with the Order. We were on our way to do that when Diagon Alley was attacked.”


“What kind of information?” Nathan asked as they descended the stairs.


“You know, I think I better have her explain it. I don’t want to muck it up.”


“Right,” Nathan said, filing away a reminder to ask Anna what she found out tomorrow in the back of his mind.


Entering the Great Hall, Nathan looked down the Gryffindor table and spotted Harry and Ginny sitting about half way down. Ginny had just finished saying something that made Harry grin. Nathan smiled. Harry is lucky to have her, he thought as he headed in their direction.


“Hi Professor Borgin,” Ginny said, looking up at him as he sat down.


“Hello Ginny,” Nathan replied, looking around the hall. “Harry. So - this is what it looks like from here.”


“Mmmf?” Harry mumbled through a mouthful of pudding.


“Well, when I was a student, I never had the opportunity to sit at the Gryffindor table. I was invited once. But even back then, Slytherins were not exactly welcomed over here and vice versa.”


Harry swallowed and wiped his mouth with his napkin, his curiosity peeked. He knew of only one good reason for eating at a house table that wasn’t your own. “What was her name?”


Nathan stopped short, realizing three sets of eyes were gazing at him with curiosity. He cleared his throat as he felt his cheeks begin to grow warm. “Uh, that’s not why I’m here.”


“What was her name, Nathan?” Bill asked, sitting down opposite him and leaning his elbow on the table and resting his chin on his hands.


“It’s not important. Now, Harry and Ginny, I’m hoping ““


“So it was a she,” Ginny deduced.


Nathan huffed. “Harry, we need to dis-“


“It’s Anna, isn’t it,” Bill said, grinning.


“Anna? Anna Patterson, the woman in the Hospital Wing?” Harry asked.


“You liked Anna Patterson,” Bill said, nodding and smiling at Nathan’s flush.


“Delightful girl, Anna Patterson,” Albus Dumbledore observed from behind Nathan, his eyes twinkling at Harry and Ginny. “Madam Pomfrey has told me she is doing quite well.”


“Good,” Nathan said. “Now, Harry and Ginny, I was hoping you could come ““


“If I remember, you and she were actually rather fond of each other while she was a student here at Hogwarts,” Dumbledore commented mildly.


“Really?” Bill said. “Rather fond? What’s rather fond?”


“I’m rather fond of Harry,” Ginny said.


“Ginny!” Harry admonished, his face turning pink.


“Exactly, Harry,” Nathan said. “I need to talk ““


“Did Anna say she was fond of Professor Borgin?” Ginny asked innocently.


“Enough!” Nathan said, placing his hands palm down on the table and pushing himself up. “Harry, Ginny, come with me. Bill, you can come if you drop the subject. Albus, I am only sparing you because you are my Headmaster. For Merlin’s sake, you are worse than the lot of them!”


Dumbledore chuckled as he watched his Defense Against the Dark Arts Professor walk purposefully toward the doors.


“So, how fond of each other were they?” Bill asked, standing up.


“Well, I think you’d better ask him that,” Dumbledore replied. “Just perhaps not tonight,” he chuckled.



+++++



Bill leaned against the bookshelves along the back wall of Nathan’s office, his arms folded across his chest. He tried to keep the grin off his face but Nathan’s glare simply encouraged him. He knew he wasn’t helping matters, so he shifted his gaze to the ceiling and started contemplating the rafters.


“Now, Madame Pomfrey has told me she fully expects your magical reserves to be at full power by mid-October. That means you need to complete the Blood Bonding as soon as you can after that. You need to find someplace here to complete the bonding “ you know, someplace private, safe, that means something to both of you. That’s the first step. Ginny, in the meantime, you can start reading about the second half of this process, the healing part.”


Nathan slid a stack of books sitting on the corner of his desk over in front of her. Ginny blanched slightly at the number of texts. “All of these?” she squeaked.


Nathan chuckled. “Eventually, yes. I’ve tagged the parts you need to read first, though. Now, Harry, Professor Dumbledore has told me you agreed to allow me to help you with your Occlumency. I understand the DA has been put off until November and Quidditch practice isn’t starting up for two weeks, so I’m suggesting we start Tuesdays and Thursdays after dinner. Once Quidditch starts up, we can shift our work around as needed. Any questions?”


Harry and Ginny looked at each other and then back at Nathan, shaking their heads.


“I have a question,” Bill asked, raising his hand in the air.


Against his better judgment, Nathan raised his eyes to Bill. “What?”


“How fond of Anna Patterson are you now?” he asked with a completely straight face.



+++++



Ginny’s head nodded forward, her eyes losing focus on the book on her lap. She jerked her head back up, blinking blearily at the words on the page. Sighing, she closed the book and set it on top of the stack sitting on the table in front of her. Ginny slouched back, losing herself in the couch in front of the fire. The common room was practically empty as homework hadn’t piled up to the point where students were losing sleep over it yet. After OWLs last year, Ginny had been looking forward to a lighter load this year. So much for high hopes, she thought ruefully.


“Hey, Gin,” Harry said softly, sitting down next to her.


Ginny smiled at him and fell against him. Harry grunted as she landed on him.


“Don’t move,” Ginny mumbled into his chest.


“Alright,” Harry said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her as close as she could get. “But if I don’t move, I can’t give you your birthday present.”


“Present? For me?”


“Do you know, the last time I gave you a gift, you were exhausted and falling asleep?”


Ginny giggled. “Our timing is impeccable. So, what’s my present?”


“Well,” Harry said, shifting Ginny over so he could sit up. “I’m not sure you’re going to like it.”


“Harry, I’m going to love it because it came…from…you.” Ginny watched as Harry leaned over and lifted a stack of books off the floor and placed it next to the pile already on the table. Ginny reached out and tipped the top book toward her. “Um, thanks, Harry.”


Harry snorted. “No, really, tell me what you think.”


Ginny giggled. “Tell me about these books, Harry.”


“Well, this past summer, the Ministry said you couldn’t practice or do magic with us because you weren’t old enough. But they never said anything about you reading about magic...”


Ginny slid the top book off the stack and opened it, ruffling the pages. Harry had placed scraps of paper in between certain pages. On those pages, he had made side notes in the margins, tips on wand movement, recoil, pronunciation. On some, he had even given suggested situations on when the spell might be needed. Ginny closed the book and laid her hand on the cover. Harry had spent hours working on this gift. Ginny carefully set the book down next to her.


“I just wanted you to be prepared as the rest of us, and I didn’t think it was fair-.”


Leaning over, Ginny laid her hands on either side of Harry’s face and placed a kiss on Harry’s lips. “I love you, Harry. Thank you.”


Harry lost his train of thought and didn’t care. “I love you, too, Ginny.”



++++++


Ginny took a sip of the glass of water she’d poured. The cool night breeze sent shivers up her arms and down her spine. She had dreamt of being in the Chamber again. Ginny closed her eyes and leaned her forehead against the cold stone of the castle walls.


Catarina had been there, beckoning her forward. Her mouth had been moving, as if she was trying to tell Ginny something. Ginny hadn’t been able to hear her. Ginny had tried to tell her to speak up. She had squinted at Catarina’s lips to try to read them. When that didn’t work, Ginny had tried to step toward her but couldn’t - something had been holding her legs down, not allowing her feet to move.


Chehalis landed silently on the window ledge. Padding toward her, he bumped his head against her chin and sat down. Ginny turned her head toward the feline to find him looking at her as if he expected an apology.


“Well, I’m sorry, but you shouldn’t sleep on my legs. It’s not my fault I kicked you off the bed.”


Ginny scratched the cat behind his ears as she watched the moon dance over the school grounds. Her hand stopped in midair above the cat’s head as it dawned on her what Catarina had been mouthing.


Here.


+++++





A/N “ I have to admit, I loved this chapter. It was one of those chapters that once it got started, it just flowed. The characters seem to speak for themselves. Anyhoo, thanks for reading!


Thanks to wvchemteach, Kissmegrint and Anya. You make it good!
Mother's Blood by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.





Mother’s Blood






Tap “ tap “ tap. Tap “ tap “ tap. Tap “ tap “ tap.


“Harry! Will you please stop it!” Hermione commanded, her hand shooting out and trapping Harry’s quill on the table.


Startled out of his trance, Harry blinked at his friend across the table in the Common Room. “Sorry, I was thinking.”


Hermione withdrew her hand and smiled at Harry. “That’s promising.”


Harry rolled his eyes. “Funny.”


“About what?” Hermione asked.


“You don’t want to know.”


Hermione cocked her head to the side. “I’m guessing it has nothing to do with transfiguration?” she asked, glancing at the text in front of Harry.


Harry threw his quill down and leaned back in his chair, running his hands through his hair. “No.”


“It wouldn’t by any chance have something to do with what happened in the Great Hall a couple of days ago, would it?”


Harry looked sideways at Hermione. “What if it does?”


Hermione smiled slyly and reached down to her book bag. She withdrew a book and laid it on the table. Turning it around so it faced Harry, she slid it half way across the table. Curious, Harry reached out his hand and pulled the book the rest of the way. It was a Muggle school text.


“Entomology?” Harry asked skeptically.


“Bugs,” Hermione said, smiling in a very satisfied manner.


“Bugs?”


“Bugs.”


Harry looked at Hermione like she was batty but took another look at the book anyway. He noticed Hermione had tagged several pages in particular. Opening the book, he trailed his finger down the paragraphs. He stared at Hermione, a bewildered look on his face. Hermione shrugged, her cheeks turning pink, and motioned for him to keep reading. Harry returned to the lines, his mouth moving as he digested the information. A smile began to play at the corners of Harry’s mouth as he nodded and slowly reached for a piece of parchment and his quill.


“Bugs…” Harry trailed off as he began to write.


++++++


“Oh, crap!” Anna exclaimed, looking at the end of a corridor she knew she had looked at only moments before. But she was almost positive she had been coming from a totally different direction. How could she have ended up in the same dead-end? Again?


“Uh, excuse me? Do you need help?”


Anna whirled around, catching herself against the wall as she almost stumbled forward. For someone who was coordination challenged to begin with, having an arm in a sling throwing off whatever was left of her balance was proving to be rather embarrassing. Madam Pomfrey had told her the sling on her left arm was more of a formality than anything else. Her shoulder was almost healed, but the sling would keep people from jostling it around too much.


Anna had tried to explain to the school nurse that her arm was more at risk from any damage she could do to it personally then the general public, but the nurse had insisted. After having watched Anna proceed to bang her constrained limb on the end of the bed, the door to the Hospital Wing and then the corridor trying to stay out of the way of a first year who had developed an impressive set of what looked like rabbit ears on either side of his head, Madam Pomfrey had trailed after her patient with a vial of an anti-inflammatory bruise reducer potion to be taken before bed tonight.


Tucking the vial in her pocket while wondering if she could ask for a spare just to have on hand, Anna had set off in search of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom. That was at least an hour, three floors, two moving staircases, one unexpected secret passageway and six dead ends ago “ or was it one dead end, six times? Anna smiled gratefully at the young woman in front of her.


“Yes, you may!” Anna answered. “I’m lost. I need to find the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.”


“You must be Anna Patterson,” Hermione surmised, noting the sling.


Anna grinned. “I am. It’s nice to meet you,” she said, holding out her free hand.


“Hermione Granger. I’m Hogwarts Head Girl,” Hermione replied, taking the offered hand. “Are you feeling better?”


“I am. Thank you. I had just forgotten how confusing this place can be.”


“Oh, that’s right!” Hermione exclaimed. “You were a student here.”


“Only for a year. My parents’ jobs didn’t allow for them to stay in one place long, and they didn’t like to be apart from me, so my stay was brief. And I must admit, I spent much of my time getting lost around the castle then, too.”


Hermione smiled. “I’m sure you found some interesting places most students never find.”


Anna flushed. “You could put it that way.”


“Come on,” Hermione said, motioning with her head down the corridor. “I’m on my way to Professor McGonagall’s office on the first floor which is where the Defense Against the Darks Arts classroom is. I’ll drop you off.”


“Oh,” Anna said, looking around in surprise. “Exactly what floor am I on?”


“The fourth, but that’s alright. Happens all the time,” Hermione said gently.


Anna snorted. “Uh-huh, I’m sure.”


“So,” Hermione chatted, leading the way toward the staircase, “I understand you know Professor Borgin.”


“Mmm…” Anna replied, her eyes scanning the walls trying to figure out how she got lost.


“Did you know him at Hogwarts?”


“Uh, yes, I did,” Anna said, looking down so as to not trip on the steps. “We met rather like you and I did. I ended up turned around in the dungeons. He was headed back to his dormitory and was kind enough to turn me around and send me in the direction of Gryffindor Tower.”


“That was very sweet of him,” Hermione commented, turning down the first floor corridor.


“Nathan was - is a very sweet person,” Anna said, not paying attention to the fact Hermione had stopped in front of an open classroom door. Anna ran into Hermione’s side. “Oh - sorry,” she apologized, wincing as a twinge ran up her arm.


“That’s alright. Are you okay?” Hermione asked concerned.


“I’m fine,” Anna assured her. “Is this it?”


“This is it. Professor Borgin’s office is up the steps in the back.”


“Well, thank you very much, Hermione. It was a pleasure to meet you.”


“Thank you! You, too,” Hermione said as she continued down the corridor to Professor McGonagall’s office.


Anna steadied herself and stepped inside the classroom. The room had not changed in the twenty years since she’d been a student here. Truth be told, Anna thought smiling to herself, not much was different in the entire castle. For a person whose childhood had centered around constant change, this fact was rather comforting. Anna walked toward the back of the castle, studying the room where Nathan taught. She liked the idea of Nathan as a professor. She was sure he was an excellent one. Probably had several first years with huge crushes on him, she thought grinning as she touched the desktops she passed. Not that he’d notice. Nathan was rather thick when it came to girls. Always had been.


Grasping the banister with her right hand, Anna slowly climbed the steps to Nathan’s office and knocked on the door. There was no answer, so she knocked again. Anna checked her watch. She was a little late, but not late enough that Nathan would have left. Anna noticed the door was slightly ajar. Checking over her shoulder to see if anyone was watching, she gently pushed on the door.


Anna hadn’t planned on entering without an invitation, however, in the end, she couldn’t resist. Peering around the door jam, she found herself drawn into Nathan’s world. Her heart warmed as she envisioned Nathan leaning against the edge of the desk, his arms crossed over his chest, deep in a conversation with a student on some form of blood healing properties. She grinned at the sense of giddiness that was swelling up inside. He’d always managed to make her feel that way, even when he wasn’t around. She trailed her fingers across the spines of his beloved books, smiling as she read the alphabetized titles. She rested her hand on the back of his leather chair and imagined him sitting there, his head bent over parchment, correcting essays. She wondered if he wore glasses.


“No.”


“Wha “ oh!” Anna jumped, startled by Nathan who stood in the door way. “Um, I was just waiting. I didn’t touch anything, well, not really. You weren’t here. I knocked. The door opened. What do you mean, ‘No’?”


“No, I don’t wear glasses,” Nathan said, his mouth twitching at the corners with a smile. “At least not yet.”


Anna’s cheeks grew warm. “I said that out loud, didn’t I?”


“Yes, you did,” Nathan said, coming to stand at Anna’s side behind his chair. “Would you like a seat?”


Anna swallowed. “Uh, yes, I would. Not behind your desk. I’ll sit over there,” she said, taking a step back and bumping into the bookshelves. Catching the engraved brass globe that threatened to roll off, Anna returned it to its stand and smiled nervously at Nathan as she walked carefully around the end of his desk to one of the chairs facing him.


“So,” Nathan said, pulling his chair out and sitting down. “Bill said you came across some information on Blood Bonds.”


“Uh “ huh,” Anna nodded. “I’ve got it here “ it was in my pocket when we were attacked. Let me “ “


Anna twisted in her seat, trying to lift her sling and reach across her body to get the parchment from her front pocket. After several attempts, Nathan pushed his chair back and walked around the desk.


“Here, let me,” he said leaning down and gently lifting up her arm in the sling. Nathan reached forward and pulled at the parchment sticking out of her pocket, trying desperately not to inhale the clean, crisp sent that was Anna and failing miserably. He softly replaced her arm at her side and stood up. Clearing his throat, Nathan returned to the opposite side of his desk, feeling somewhat safer behind the wood expanse, and spread the parchment out in front of him. Still standing, his eyes widened as he read the name at the top right of the page.


“Lily Potter?” he said in surprise, looking up.


Anna nodded. “Lily sent a letter with a key to a Gringotts safe box to my father. I found it when I was packing up my parents’ flat. That was what was in the box.”


“Really,” Nathan commented, sitting down in his chair and pulling the parchment toward him. “Lily was researching blood protection.”


“Hmmm,” Anna nodded, in agreement.


Nathan’s eyes scanned the parchment, his lips moving slightly as he read. He reached the end and met Anna’s gaze.


“You know what this means, don’t you,” he said.


Anna nodded. “I’ve had a little time to think about it,” she said. “What I can’t figure out is does it mean more?”


Nathan sat back in his chair and tapped his fingers together. “I don’t know. It might. Can I keep this for a while?”


“Make me a copy. Will you tell the Order?”


“I’ll go alert Dumbledore immediately and let him make the call.”


Nathan pulled open the top drawer of his desk and pulled out a piece of parchment. Waving his wand above Lily’s notes, he muttered, “Discribo.” Nathan’s quill began to dance over the blank parchment. Moments later, Nathan handed Anna an exact copy.


“Thank you,” Anna said, tucking it into her sling and standing up. “Well, uh, I should get going. I’ve got to get back to work before the goblins decide it wasn’t a good idea to bring me back.”


“Is that why you came back? Your job?” Nathan asked suddenly, trying desperately not to sound too hopeful.


“That’s one reason,” Anna answered truthfully.


“There are others?”


“Well, yes. This, for one,” she said, pointing at Lily’s notes on the desk.


“Ah,” Nathan replied. “And your parents?”


Anna sighed. “Yes, my parents were another reason.”


“Not there to hold you back anymore,” Nathan said, cringing the moment the words left his mouth. “I’m sorry. That was uncalled for.”


“They loved me, Nathan,” Anna said softly, turning toward the door. “I’ll stop by later this week.”


“Did you love me?”


Anna stopped at the door, her heart dropping to her stomach. “You know I did,” she whispered, her back facing him.


“Then why did you leave me?” Nathan asked quietly.


Anna’s shoulders slumped as she turned around. “I couldn’t leave them.”


“You couldn’t? We were married, for Merlin’s sake! I’m your husband!” Nathan argued, slamming his fist on his desk.


“I know!” Anna said firmly. “Nathan, we’ve been through this. Years ago, we went through this. Why do we have to do this again?”


“I don’t know,” Nathan sighed frustrated.


“I’m sorry,” Anna apologized softly.


“You broke my heart, Anna.”


“I broke mine, too.”


“Why? Why did you?” Nathan asked desperately.


Anna swallowed, blinking at the tears gathering behind her eyelids. Looking up at the rafters, she shrugged. “I was young. I was foolish. I was a stupid idiot.” Anna lowered her eyes to meet Nathan’s. “Nathan, you of all people know what it’s like to do something you will regret for the rest of your life.”


Nathan’s jaw hardened. He couldn’t argue with that.



“I was barely twenty, Nathan. My parents were my family, my friends, my everything. I had grown up with them being the only constants in my life. All I heard, all my life, was how intelligent they were, how well respected they were, how sought after they were. And how lucky I was to be their daughter. I didn’t have friends. I had my parents! I didn’t know that it was acceptable to question them. Or maybe, I simply didn’t know how to question them,” Anna took a deep breath. “And they didn’t like you.”


Nathan snorted.


“They didn’t like you because you took me away from them and back then, I had no way to fight them. I didn’t know how.”


“I would have fought with you.”


“I know,” Anna replied sadly. “I know that now. But I didn’t know that then.”


“I told you then!”


“I know! Nathan, I couldn’t stand up to them! I just couldn’t. They were my parents! I put them on pedestals! They weren’t human! In my eyes, they were perfect!”


“How could I compete with that?” Nathan asked, his voice rising.


“You couldn’t! No one could!” Anna cried. “That’s why when they told me I had to leave you because of your past, I did! I didn’t want to, but I had no way of telling them no!”


“No. N. O. No. Anna, it isn’t that hard to say,” Nathan replied bitterly.


Anna brushed at the tears running down her cheeks. “I know, Nathan. And I’m so sorry. I will never, ever be able to make it up to you and for that, I’m terribly sorry,” she whispered, and turned toward the door.


Nathan placed his hands, palm down, against his desk and closed his eyes, hoping the darkness would ease the ache in his middle. He wasn’t sure what made him ask, but he did.


“Anna?”


“Yes?”


Nathan cleared his throat, keeping his eyes on his hands. “Did - did you meet anyone else?”


Anna stopped in the doorway and looked back. “My parents tried to get me to, but they gave up when they realized it was hopeless,” she replied softly. “Nathan, there will never be anyone for me but you. How could there be? I love you. I always did. I always will,” she whispered before slipping out of the room. She didn’t want to know if Nathan had found someone else. She didn’t want to know if hers was a lost cause. She could live with wondering. She just couldn’t live with the rejection.


Anna’s words washed over Nathan, soothing the ache in his heart. He reached deep inside, knowing the scars would always be there. But he would be fibbing to himself if he claimed he wasn’t in the same boat as Anna. Slowly, Nathan raised his head. He nodded in silent agreement at the spot where Anna had stood moments before. The doorway might be empty, but his heart wasn’t. And that was a very good thing, he decided, pulling the parchment toward him again.


+++++


“You should really watch where you’re going, Borgin,” Snape sneered as he sidestepped Nathan in the dungeon corridor.


“Severus, sorry. I was reading,” Nathan apologized, stepping over to the wall to let several Slytherins pass.


“Yes, I noticed,” Snape commented dryly.


“Do you have a minute?” Nathan asked. “I’ve got something Dumbledore thought you should take a look at.”


“I suppose, if the Headmaster has deemed it worthy of my attention.” Snape led the way to his office and shut the door behind Nathan.


“How is he?” Nathan asked, ignoring the chair Snape motioned toward as he walked around to the back of his desk.


“He’s alive. He’s not in pain. He thinks he’s getting better.”


“You do good work, Severus,” Nathan said. “I couldn’t do what you’re doing.”


“I know,” Snape said scornfully. “What do you need me to look at?”


“This,” Nathan said, placing a piece of parchment on the desk and pushing it toward the Potions Master.


Snape extended a finger and pulled it toward him. Snape’s greasy black hair fell forward, hiding his face from view as he scanned the writing on the page. Reaching the end, Snape looked up and met Nathan’s gaze.


“Sanguis,” Snape said tonelessly.


Nathan nodded. “Sanguis.”


++++


“Hermione thought of this?” Ron asked several days later, reading the piece of parchment Harry had given to him.


“Yup,” Harry said, bouncing on his heels.


“Hermione? The woman I love? Brown, bushy hair? Has a badge on her robes that looks like yours but says Head Girl instead of Head Boy? That Hermione?”

“Yup,” Harry repeated grinning. “That Hermione.”


“Here,” Ron said, shoving the parchment back at Harry and pushing past him.


“Hey, where you going?” Harry called down the hall.


“I have a sudden urge to snog my girlfriend senseless,” Ron shouted over his shoulder.


“Well, that was more information than I needed to know,” Ginny said, coming up behind Harry. “Hey,” she said, stepping up on her tiptoes to kiss Harry who was looking bemusedly at Ron’s retreating back.


“Hey yourself,” he said, turning to grin down at her.


“So, what are sending?” Ginny asked, peering over Harry’s arm to the parchment he held.


“It’s an order,” Harry said, folding the parchment up. Patting his robe pockets, he grimaced. “Do you have a quill?”


“Uh, yeah, here,” Ginny said, rummaging around in her book bag. “Order for what?”


“Satisfaction,” Harry said as Hedwig flew down to sit on Harry’s shoulder. “Here, can you tie this on her leg?” he asked as he scratched Hedwig’s head.


“This is to Fred and George,” Ginny read. “Harry James Potter, you’re up to no good, aren’t you?” she surmised, her eyes narrowing. Putting her hands on her hips, she tapped her toe expectantly.


“Perhaps,” Harry grinned at her, looking so pleased with himself Ginny couldn’t help but giggle.


“So,” Harry said, reaching out for Ginny’s hand. “What did you come all the way up to the Owlrey for?”


“Besides missing you?” Ginny teased. “I have a letter to send to Mum,” she said, pulling her hand back and reaching into her robe pocket to pull out the note. “And I did want to talk to you.”


“About what?” Harry asked, as he watched Ginny tie the note to one of the school’s barn owls.


As the owl flew off, Ginny linked her fingers with Harry’s and tugged him toward the doors. “We need to go someplace.”


“Where?”


“I’ll show you. And on the way, you can tell me why you are writing my brothers. Come on,” Ginny said, pulling Harry after her.


+++++


“You wanted to bring me to the girl’s bathroom?” Harry asked skeptically.


“Not just any bathroom,” Ginny said.


“Hello, Harry.” A misty voice floated out of one of the bathroom stalls followed by a young female ghost wearing glasses.


“Hi, Myrtle,” Harry replied, his eyes not leaving Ginny’s face.


“You haven’t come to visit me in a while,” Moaning Myrtle complained. “Too busy to visit me now that she is hanging all over you?”


“Myrtle, don’t you have a u-bend someplace you need to go flush out?” Ginny asked annoyed.


“Oh, fine,” Myrtle spat. “This is my bathroom, but could you be nice and polite to me? No! Harry, next time you come visit, leave your girlfriend at home!”


With that, the off balanced ghost dove into the nearest toilet spraying water out over the floor. Harry sidestepped the puddle racing toward his shoes and looked up expectantly at Ginny. Ginny stood there, her hands clenched, her brow furrowed, biting her bottom lip. Harry realized she was nervous. Reaching out, he took her locked hands in his and smiled.


“What’s up, Gin?”


Ginny took a deep breath. “Harry, I’ve been having dreams about the Chamber again.”


“Really? How many? What are they about?” Harry asked, concern flooding his features. “What’s Tom doing to you?”


Ginny shook her head. “No, Harry, it’s “ it’s not like that.” Ginny pulled her hands away and tucked her hair behind her ears. Starting to pace, Ginny began to gesture with her hands like she always did when she told stories. “They started after we got back. At first they were dreams of what happened my first year. Then, it was strange, they “ we became older, like we are today. Then, Tom disappeared and Catarina was there.”


“Catarina became Tom?” Harry asked confused.


“No, I don’t think so,” Ginny replied. “Catarina was there to tell us something.”


“Tell us what?”


“That we should do the bonding in the Chamber of Secrets.”


Harry’s mouth dropped open as he stared at Ginny. “She’s batty,” he said incredulously. As the words left his mouth, Harry cringed. “I’m sorry, Gin. I know how much she meant to you. I didn’t mean that.”


“That’s alright, Harry,” Ginny replied. “I thought so too. But now, I think she might be right,.” Ginny said, taking a step toward him.


“But, our place, it’s supposed to be a spot that ““


“A spot that means something to both of us, a spot that links us,” Ginny finished for him. “What place in Hogwarts links the two of us better than the Chamber of Secrets?” Ginny took another step toward Harry and rested her hand on his arm. “Think about it, Harry. In a sense, that is the place we first bonded.”


Harry stared at her. This just sounded like a bizarre joke to him.


“In my dreams, Harry,” Ginny continued softly, “the last one I had, Tom was no longer in it. It was just Catarina. She was saying, ‘Here.’ I think she was trying to tell me “ us that if we bonded in the Chamber, Tom wouldn’t have power over us there anymore.”


Harry’s eyes darted to the sink which was the entrance to the Chamber. Despite all the other things he had experienced in the wizarding world, this was just downright…well, creepy. But even Harry had to admit, it made sense.


“We’ll have to tell Professor Borgin and Dumbledore,” Harry said, his eyes turning back to Ginny.


Ginny nodded solemnly. “And we have to figure out a time to do it,” she said. “A time when opening the Chamber won’t be noticed.”


Harry thought about it for a moment. “Well, Madam Pomfrey said it wouldn’t be mid-October until my magical reserves would be back to normal.”


“At the last prefect’s meeting, you remember it was suggested the Halloween Feast be a Halloween Ball?” Ginny mused. “Everybody else will be busy with that. We could do it then,” she suggested.


Harry thought for a moment and nodded his head. Then he sighed dramatically.


“What?” Ginny asked.


Harry shrugged his shoulders. “I guess that means I have to be your date to the ball,” he replied. “And here I was hoping to ask Hannah Abbott “ oof!”


Harry doubled over in mock pain as Ginny swatted him in the stomach.


“I’ll be your date to the Halloween Ball,” Myrtle offered from a stall two doors down.


Harry looked up at Ginny for help but she just smiled at him and waved as she backed toward the bathroom door leading out to the corridor. Harry glanced back at Myrtle who was floating expectantly toward him.


“Uh, thanks, Myrtle, I’ll keep that in mind,” Harry said, backing toward Ginny a few paces before twirling around to run after her. As the bathroom door swung shut behind him, Harry heard a frustrated shriek and the sploosh of toilet water landing on the floor. Looking down, he saw the puddle swelling under the door and surrounding his shoes once more. Ginny giggled from across the corridor.


“Thanks for the support, Gin,” Harry said, shaking off his shoes.


“Anytime, Harry,” Ginny smiled. “Anytime. Come on,” she said, holding out her hand to him. “Let’s go find Professor Borgin.”


+++++



“Halloween,” Professor Borgin nodded. “I like it.”


“Good,” Ginny said smiling at him. “Then it’s settled.”


“But, ah, Ginny, Harry,” Nathan said, sitting down behind his desk, “I wouldn’t say anything to anyone else about this “ not even Ron and Hermione.”


“Why?” Ginny asked. “They won’t tell anyone.”


“I know they wouldn’t,” Professor Dumbledore said from the doorway, “however, in this case, the fewer people who know about this until after it is over, the better.”


Harry looked suspiciously over his shoulder at the Headmaster. “Why?” he asked slowly.


“It has to do with your mother, Harry,” Dumbledore said calmly, entering the office and closing the door behind him.


“My mother?”


“Lily was an exceptional witch with a very strong desire to protect her family,” Dumbledore nodded, coming to stand next to Harry. “Harry, you know that at the time of her death, your mother was able to cast a spell that protected you from Tom’s curse.”



“Yeah,” Harry answered. “I’m aware of that.”


“This might be because at the time of her death,” Nathan said, “your mother was researching such protection. There is a bond that is formed between mother and child while the child is in the womb.”


“That’s what you read about, Harry, at Catarina’s,” Ginny said, looking between Nathan and Harry.


“You were reading about it?” Dumbledore asked mildly.


“Uh, yeah, I found a book at Catarina’s on it. It described how my mum was able to protect me because of the blood we shared when she was pregnant with me.”


““The Force is Within You “ The Ancient Practice of Protecting the Ones You Love.


Harry looked up at Nathan in surprise. “Yeah. How did you know?”


“The author is a man by the name of Jonathon Patterson.”


“Patterson? As in Anna Patterson?” Ginny asked.


“Jonathon was her father,” Nathan said, leaning back in his chair behind his desk. “Jonathon Patterson was a curse breaker by day and a spell researcher by night. His specialty was blood protection. Your mother contacted him with some questions regarding some research she was doing.”


“How do you know this?” Harry asked, leaning forward.


“Your mother sent Jonathon Patterson a letter and a key to a Safe Box where she had put her research. Anna found it when she was packing up her parents’ flat after they passed away this past summer. She and Bill were on their way to take it to the Order when Diagon Alley was attacked. When they ended up here at Hogwarts, Anna shared it with me.”


“What kind of research was my mother doing?” Harry asked, interested.


“Your mother was researching how far the mother “ child bond would go. She was researching what is known as Sanguis or the study of Progeny Magic.”


Nathan looked between Harry and Ginny and almost smiled. He’d never seen blanker faces.


“Sanguis,” Nathan continued, “is the study of blood relationship and the power that it holds. As is the case in all Ancient Magic, Sanguis is centered on blood, namely life-blood or the blood that gives you life - your mother’s blood. It is how your mother was able to protect you from Voldemort as a baby. It is also how Dumbledore was able to place you in your Aunt’s care and know you would be safe.”


“Harry, according to the research your mother left Jonathon, she was researching if the blood bond between mother and child could be extended to other family members.”


“Which as you know, it can, as in the case with your Aunt,” Dumbledore explained. “Your mother also touched on the possibility of such blood protection coming from a non-relative and being strengthened by an emotional bond.”


“That sounds like a blood bond,” Ginny mused.


“It is very similar,” Dumbledore nodded.


“In the case of a blood bonding ceremony,” Nathan stated, standing up from his chair and moving around to the front of his desk, “the tie between mother and child is weakened because the blood is altered.”


“It has been mixed with other blood,” Harry said, recalling Catarina’s comment about the blood she had bonded with in Tom Riddle being polluted with his blood.


“Exactly,” Nathan nodded, leaning his palms against his desk.


“Which would mean Harry won’t be safe at his Aunt’s home once we’re bonded,” Ginny deduced, looking worriedly at Harry.


“True, however,” Nathan said, “he will be just as safe, if not more so, once he is bonded with you, Ginny, as long as you two reside under the same roof.”


Ginny blinked at Nathan, her cheeks growing red. “We have to live together?”


Dumbledore chuckled. “Hogwarts has a pretty large roof, Miss Weasley.”


“Oh,” Ginny said embarrassed. “Right.”


“I’m not sure I understand,” Harry said. “Being bonded to Ginny gives me the same protection?”


“Yes “ and more,” Nathan explained. “Mediator or not, all mothers protect their children, thus Ginny is protected by her own mother. When Ginny bonds with you, the blood protection offered by that bond flows through you, giving you the protection Molly Weasley gives Ginny. On top of that, your love for each other, strengthens that bond, thus strengthening the protection.”


Harry sat in his chair, letting the words soak into his mind. The blood protection his mother had given him would be reinstated because this incredible witch sitting next to him loved him. A little stunned, Harry turned to meet Ginny’s eyes. Ginny giggled.


“What’s so funny?” Harry asked.


“Mum always wanted more kids,” Ginny said grinning. “Welcome to the family, Harry.”


Harry chuckled. “Thanks.”


“That being so,” Nathan said, “we need to keep this information to ourselves. I know Ron and Hermione would never tell a soul, however, this bonding needs to happen without issue.”


Harry and Ginny nodded.


“Very good, then,” Dumbledore commented and turned to Nathan. “So, Nathan, have you thought about a date to the Halloween Ball?”


“Date?” Nathan replied dubiously.


“I understand Anna Patterson is quite the dancer,” Dumbledore said reaching for the door knob. “You might want to ask her before I do.” With a wink at Harry and Ginny, the Headmaster exited.


Harry and Ginny looked back at Nathan and grinned.


“Don’t even start, you two,” Nathan cautioned. “Don’t even start.”



++++


A/N “ Apologies for the delay in posting. Life, summer, computer crashes, Book 6…


My thanks to wvchemteach for his collaboration help.


Thanks to Anya for beta-ing this while standing in line to buy Book 6 “ why she wasn’t reading HBP, I’ll never know.


And many thanks to all of you still reading!
Ribbons by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.




Ribbons





Nathan stood outside the door to a small cottage, staring at the doorknocker. He could feel the sweat gathering beneath his collar. He swallowed. He reached out his hand toward the knocker, held it in mid-air for a second and pulled it back. His heart was beating too fast, his mouth had gone dry and the wrapping on the housewarming gift he clutched in his fist was crumpled beyond repair. He hadn’t been in this bad of shape since the last time he had asked this girl to go out with him. Nathan snorted.


“Come on, Borgin,” he said to himself. “Exactly how old are you anyway?”


“Forty-two in a couple of months,” a voice behind him answered.


Nathan whirled around, coming face to face with Anna who was clutching a cloth bag of groceries and standing at the end of the path that lead to her front door. She smiled at him.


“Come to visit?” Anna asked, digging in her pocket for her wand.


Nathan swallowed and nodded, wondering if his cheeks were as pink as they felt. “Here,” Nathan said stepping forward and taking the bag out of Anna’s hands. “Your shoulder must be feeling better. No sling.”


“It is,” Anna said, holding her left arm out straight and turning it over. “Much better. Madam Pomfrey knows her healing spells.”


Nathan chuckled. “She’s had practice.”


“Yes, I suppose she has,” Anna grinned. “Come on, I’ll show you around.”


Nathan followed Anna into a small foyer area. Anna placed her wand on the table that sat under a mirror. Shrugging off her cloak, she hung it on a hook on the back of the door. Turning to face Nathan, she held out her arms.


“Welcome to my home,” she said smiling. “You have the distinct privilege of being my first official visitor.”


“I am honored. Oh, and here. Happy Housewarming,” Nathan said, holding out the package he had brought with him.


“You didn’t have to bring me anything,” Anna said, reaching for the gift. Slipping her finger underneath the tape on the back, she smiled inwardly at the crumpled wrapping paper. Nathan was a stickler for properly wrapped packages. This many wrinkles meant she wasn’t the only nervous one standing in her front hallway. Anna pulled the paper back and grinned at the box filled with her favorite crème filled chocolates.


“I’m not sharing,” she said simply.


“Not even with your first guest?”


“Especially not with my first guest. You’ll eat the whole box!” Anna hugged the box of chocolates to her chest. “I’m going to go hide these. The kitchen is in there. Just set the bag on the block. Feel free to put the kettle on and I’ll be right back.”


Anna started up the steps at the back of the hallway and stopped half way up. “Thank you, Nathan,” she said smiling before turning and running up the rest of the steps.


“You’re welcome,” Nathan called, grinning.


Shifting the sack of groceries in his arms to a more comfortable position, Nathan looked to his left into the sitting room. Several boxes stood against the far wall still waiting to be unpacked. The opposite wall was filled with a bay window looking out over the small front garden.


A comfortable looking sofa faced a stone fireplace lined with bookshelves on either side. Nathan felt a longing to go inspect the titles on the shelves but the sound of footfalls overhead made him stop.


A brief glance down the front hallway showed the steps leading upstairs. The room opposite the staircase must be Anna’s office, he mused. Turning to his right, Nathan ducked slightly so as to not hit his head on the rafter in the doorway to the kitchen. A step down and he found himself standing at one end of a cozy room that spoke of good food and conversation. Off to the left was a half circle shaped bench surrounding the kitchen table. Stacks of cookbooks lined the back shelf above the bench, obscuring the light from the windows behind them. To the right, a large window above the sink let autumn sunlight flood the kitchen, sending yellowed streaks across the worn, scrubbed countertops. Pots of herbs sat in the window and copper bottom pots hung from a rack above an ancient looking gas stovetop. A chopping block stood in the center of the kitchen serving its purpose as an island workspace. Nathan set the bag on the block and pulled the kettle off the stovetop. He then took it to the sink, filling it with water from the tap. Placing it back on the stovetop, he reached for his wand in his pocket and lit the gas flame.


“Thank you,” Anna said, entering the kitchen. “Here, mugs are in that cupboard,” she said, nodding at the door to the right of the stove. Anna carried over a canister and a tea pot. Filling a tea ball, she dropped it in the pot and set it beside the stovetop.


“So,” Anna said, stepping back and sitting down on the kitchen table bench, “how are classes?”


“Fine,” Nathan said, pulling the steaming tea kettle off the stove, filling the pot and bringing it to the kitchen table next to the mugs he’d set there. “First years are scared of me, fifth years are convinced they know nothing, seventh years know more than I do “ so normal, I would say.”


Anna giggled. “You like teaching, don’t you.”


“Yes, I do,” Nathan said, warming his hands around his mug of tea.


“It suits you,” Anna commented. “I can tell. You’re happy.”


“Yes, I am,” Nathan said, nodding and studying the top of his tea.


“Speaking of teaching and Hogwarts, I ran into Professor Dumbledore in Hogsmeade yesterday,” Anna said, taking a sip of tea.


“Really?” Nathan answered, almost choking on his tea.


“Yes, and he invited me to a Halloween Ball at Hogwarts. He said as a past student, I would be more than welcome.”


“Oh, yes, well, that was very nice of him,” Nathan said clearing his throat. “Actually, Anna ““


“The thing is,” Anna interrupted, “I would feel rather silly going by myself and since you’re already there and have to go, would you mind being my date? I mean you wouldn’t have to dance with me, just perhaps let me stand there next to you so I don’t look totally hopeless? I feel I should go since Professor Dumbledore asked and I ““


“Yes!” Nathan said, a little louder than planned.


“Really? Yes?” Anna said smiling widely. “Brilliant!”


“Yes, it is,” Nathan replied, grinning into his mug. He would have to thank the Headmaster later. This truly was brilliant.



+++++



“Hey Ron,” Harry whispered.


Ron looked up from the library table he was sharing with Hermione, who at the present moment was lost in the stacks. “What?”


Harry dropped his book bag on the table and flipped open the front flap. He reached inside and pulled out a shoebox sized package wrapped in discreet brown paper. He placed it on the table and pushed it toward Ron. “It’s here,” he grinned.


“Really? That was fast,” Ron said, examining the return address.


“Well, I ordered from a fast, reliable source,” Harry said.


“True. Fred and George wouldn’t keep you waiting, especially when it involves Malfoy.”


“Yep,” Harry answered, picking the package back up and slipping it in his book bag. “I’ll catch you later. I’ve got an old friend to go see.”


++++


“So,” Hermione began the following morning, leaning over the table in earnest, “Have you two thought about finishing what you started this summer?”


Harry’s fork laden with eggs stopped in mid-air as he glanced at Ginny. Ginny opened her mouth to answer and was saved by an irate bellow.


“POTTER!”


Ron sprayed pumpkin juice across the table.


“Ron!” Hermione and Ginny scolded simultaneously, wiping the spatters off their jumpers.


“Sorry,” Ron muttered, glancing at Harry who was struggling to keep a straight face.



“POTTER!” Malfoy yelled, marching through the Great Hall, clutching what looked like the blanket from his bed in front of him like a cloth sack.


“Mr. Malfoy! Keep it down,” Professor McGonagall admonished as she stepped down from the head table.


All eyes in the Great Hall focused on Draco Malfoy as he came to a stop in front of Harry.


He did this,” Malfoy heaved, holding up the makeshift sack and waving it at Harry. “And if I find out how, I will ““


“Mr. Potter did what?” Professor McGonagall asked, planting her hands firmly on her hips.


“This!”


Malfoy let go of the top of the blanket. A shower of sawdust powdered the table, followed by several metal fastenings and a couple of twigs.


“Exactly what was that?” Professor McGonagall asked.


“That “ that was my new Lightening Rod, the fastest racing broom on the market. He ruined it,” Malfoy accused, jabbing his finger in Harry’s face.


Harry kept his face blank, blinking innocently at Malfoy. Hermione shoved a sweet bun in Ron’s open mouth before lifting her goblet of pumpkin juice to her lips. Ginny grabbed a toast triangle and made a show of spreading marmalade on it.


“Mr. Malfoy, where do you keep your broom?”


Malfoy sputtered. “It was in my room, but ““


“Was your broom in one piece yesterday?”


“Yes, but ““


“Is there any way Mr. Potter could have had access to your broom since you last saw it?” Professor McGonagall asked.


“No, but ““


“Mr. Malfoy, unless Mr. Potter had managed to procure a vial of Polyjuice potion from your head of house and a strand of hair from your head, then there is no possible way for him to have been able to get his hands anywhere near your broom. Twenty points from Slytherin for such false accusations. Now I would suggest you find yourself another broom, Mr. Malfoy. Your match against Ravenclaw begins in less than an hour.”


Malfoy’s mouth opened and shut like a fish out of water. He glared at Harry. “I’ll get you for this, Potter,” he sneered.


“Mr. Malfoy, unless you want another Twenty points taken, I’d suggest you get going,” Professor McGonagall advised.


Scrunching his blanket up under his arm, Malfoy gave one last searing glance at the Gryffindor table and spun on his heels.


“Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley,” Professory McGonagall said, watching Malfoy’s retreating back, “neither of you touched Mr. Malfoy’s broom, correct?”


“No, ma’am, I did not touch his broom,” Harry answered truthfully.


“Mefer,” Ron replied as emphatically as he could through his mouthful of bun.


“Very well. I suggest you all finish your breakfast. I shall see you at the Quidditch Pitch,” she said, not looking at Harry or Ron and following Malfoy out of the Great Hall.


“You ready?” Harry asked, grinning at Ginny.


“Yeah, I’m ready,” Ginny said, standing up.


Ron and Hermione followed Harry and Ginny out of the Great Hall and onto the grounds.


“Nice choice,” Ginny commented, as they walked toward the Pitch.


“I thought so,” Harry said.


“The supplier was able to accelerate the natural instincts of the insects?” Hermione asked mildly.


“Followed your suggestions to the letter,” Harry commented, taking Ginny’s hand in his own.


“Hmmm…” Hermione nodded in satisfaction. “Oh!” she exclaimed in surprise as Ron pulled her into his embrace.


“I love you,” he professed and planted a solid kiss on her lips.


“You know, normal people find a nice dark broom closet,” Ginny called in mock disgust as Harry pulled her toward the pitch.


+++++


Harry fell back into the chair in Professor Borgin’s office, his mind empty, his body exhausted. Harry had been fairly confident in his Occlumency skills when he walked into Borgin’s office for his first session with the Defense Against the Dark Arts professor several weeks ago. Two hours later, he had walked out with a massive headache and a seriously bruised ego. Ginny had become so fed up with his sour mood she’d finally snapped at him.


”Honestly, Harry! Do you think Nathan Borgin would still be alive if his Occlumency skills weren’t top notch? He’s got the Dark Mark on his arm and he’s still walking upright. For Merlin’s sake! Do you honestly think he’s sat down for tea with the Dark Lord with all his thoughts and memories floating in his head? Really!”


Harry rubbed his temples and grinned at his shoes.


“Something funny, Harry?” Borgin asked from behind his desk.


“No, not really. Just thinking of something Ginny said,” Harry said, looking up.


“Ah,” Nathan said. “Speaking of Ginny, I understand Madam Pomfrey has cleared you to resume normal magical activities.”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded.


“That is good news. I spoke to Ginny this morning after class. She said she’s ready. Are you?”


“Well, yeah, but then again, I’m not the one having to do much,” Harry said.


“True,” Nathan smiled, “in all practicality, you simply have to show up.”


Harry nodded. He had always known Ginny was a powerful witch, but his respect for her talent had grown ten fold since he’d started studying the Ancient Magic form of Occlumency known as Alienari. Professor Borgin had explained to him the literal translation of the word meant “to go out of one’s mind.” Harry had commented it sounded like he was going to go completely batty. Nathan had simply grinned and started lecturing.


Borgin had told Harry that much like traditional Occlumency, the goal of Alienari was to defend the mind against unwanted visitors. Alienari’s focus was more emotional based, believing if an accomplished Alienarius was in control of his or her pulse and thus blood flow, controlling the thoughts that flowed through his or her mind would be an easy jump. The meditation activities alone had left Harry with a much greater understanding and respect for Ginny’s ability than he had had before. Now, thinking of the ceremony that would occur in a few short days time, Harry felt a twinge of guilt at not being able to take a more active part.


“I’ve taken a look at the schedule for the Halloween festivities,” Borgin said, interrupting Harry’s thoughts. “I would think if you and Ginny were to slip out after the first or second dance, you should have enough time to perform the ceremony. Tell Ron and Hermione you need some air or something.


“Now, I’ve talked with Professor Dumbledore and Professor Snape. They’ve agreed it’s best for them to stay at the festivities to ensure nothing goes awry there. We will come with you as far as the girl’s bathroom to keep an eye on things there.”


“We?” Harry asked.


Nathan cleared his throat. “Anna Patterson and I,” he replied, his eyes daring Harry to comment. Harry grinned. “As I’m the only one with a date, we agreed it would be normal for us to ““


“Need some air?” Harry suggested innocently.


Nathan grinned. “Need some air,” he nodded. “Is that suitable?”


Harry thought about it for a moment before speaking. “Professor Borgin, I know you knew Anna Patterson in school, but how well do you know her now?”


Nathan sat back in his chair and tented his fingers. “Excellent question, Harry,” he stated, wondering how much he should share. In the end, Nathan decided Harry deserved to know who would be protecting him and Ginny for peace of mind, if nothing else. “Many years ago, I knew Anna very well,” Nathan said quietly. “Anna is my wife.”


“Your wife?” Harry repeated surprised.


Nathan nodded. “Anna and I were married a little over twenty years ago. Circumstances out of our control drove us apart. I had lost track of her until she returned to England recently.”


“So you haven’t seen her in twenty years?” Harry asked suspiciously.


“No, I haven’t,” Nathan admitted. “And normally that would send up red flags in my mind, too. She’s worked for Gringotts for as long as I can remember. The goblins don’t keep employees that can’t be trusted. Harry, her father helped Dumbledore with the blood protection that protected you at your Aunt and Uncle’s. And, I can tell you with every ounce of certainty in my body, I would trust Anna with my life. If you’d rather not have Anna there, I understand. It’s your call, Harry.”


“She’s Gringott’s head curse breaker, isn’t she,” Harry said.


Nathan nodded. “Has a few hexes that could rival Ginny’s Bat Bogey.”


“Well then, as long as Ginny’s alright with it, it’s fine with me,” Harry said.


“Good,” Nathan said, standing up. “Until the ball, then.”


“Until the ball,” Harry repeated.


+++++


The day before Halloween, Ron and Harry stumbled through the portrait hole, clutching their sides, gasping for breath.


“Did you see his face?” Ron exclaimed between guffaws as he fell into one of the overstuffed chairs in front of the fireplace.


“You were totally brilliant!” Harry exclaimed, plopping down on the sofa next to Ginny, his chest rumbling with laughter.


“So?” Ginny asked eagerly, closing her charms textbook.


“Gin, Ron was brilliant,” Harry repeated, enclosing her hand in his.


“Really?”


“Oh yeah “ Ron, you have to tell her,” Harry said, wiping at the corner of his eyes with the sleeve of his robes.


“What’d you do, Ron?” Ginny asked smiling at the two boys who couldn’t look more pleased with themselves if they tried.


“Well,” Ron said, leaning forward enthusiastically. “We were on our way back up here from dinner and McGonagall caught us and dragged us to her office where Malfoy and Snape were.”


“Malfoy was standing there, clutching his dress robes,” Harry interjected.


“Hey, Potter, it’s my story,” Ron said good naturedly.


“Sorry. Go on.”


“Anyway, Malfoy was standing there with his dress robes pointing his finger at us like we’d done something wrong.”


“Of course, we stood there, looking as innocent as we could,” Harry assured Ginny.


“And Malfoy whips open his robes that now look like Swiss cheese,” Ron chortled, “and Snape turns to Harry and asks him if he touched Malfoy’s dress robes!”


“Which, of course, I could say in all honesty with a straight face, ‘No, I did not touch them.’ “ Harry said as seriously as he could before breaking into laughter.


“And then Malfoy begins to wail about needing his dress robes for the ball and how he can’t be seen in these because they are covered with holes,” Ron gasped.


“And Ron looks at him and says, ‘I’ve got an extra set of dress robes you can use, Malfoy. They’re a little ruffled, but I’m sure they’ll be fine.’ And Professor McGonagall tells Malfoy to shut it and Ron to send the old dress robes down!” Harry finished, grinning. “I don’t know who looked more ill, Malfoy or Snape!”


“I have to go find Hermione. Want to come, Harry?” Ron asked, pushing himself out of the chair.


“No, no, you go,” Harry waved. “I’m going to sit here for bit.”


“She’s in the library, Ron,” Ginny said.


“Thanks. Nice one, Mate.” Ron gave Harry a high five and headed out of the portrait hole again.


“So, the same spell used to speed up the termites worked on the moths, eh?” Ginny commented, snuggling against Harry. “Where do you suppose Hermione learned it?”


“Don’t know. Don’t want to know. I’m just glad she’s on our side,” Harry said leaning his head against the back of the sofa.


Ginny chuckled. “Me, too.”


Watching the flames dance in the fireplace, Harry let the soft strands of Ginny’s hair fall through his fingers. Leaning over, he rested his lips on the top of her head. “So…you ready for tomorrow?”


“I don’t know,” Ginny answered uncertainly.


Harry sat up straight. ”What do you mean? What’s wrong?”


“Well, I haven’t checked my dress robes yet,” she giggled, her eyes twinkling. “I might need to see if I can borrow Ron’s if Malfoy isn’t using them.”


“Ginny!” Harry deflated. “Don’t do that me!”


“Sorry, Harry. Couldn’t resist. Yes, I’m ready. You?”


“Yeah, I’m ready,” Harry said, looping his arms around Ginny and pulling her close. Kissing her softly, Harry sunk deeper into the couch and closed his eyes, letting the soft warmth of Ginny and the flickering flames of the fire lull him to sleep.


+++++


“Ron! Have you seen my socks? Where are my socks? I can’t find my socks!” Harry yelled into his trunk. Standing up, his fists clenched at his side, Harry glared around the room in search of his missing footwear.


“They’re probably with my tie!” Ron complained, throwing back his blankets in search of it.


“Your tie is in your bed, Weasley?” Seamus asked, raising his eyebrows suggestively.


“Shut it, Finnegan,” Ron shot back, throwing the blankets back in place..


“Ah ha!” Harry cried from somewhere under his bed. “Got ‘em!”


“My tie, too?” Ron asked hopefully.


Popping up from the floor, Harry threw Ron’s tie at him and sat down the edge of his bed to pull his socks on his bare feet.


“Alright, how do I look?” Ron asked, adjusting his collar and tie.


“Fine,” Harry said, hopping up and down as he shoved his feet into his shoes.


“You didn’t even look, Mate,” Ron accused him.


Harry glanced up as he stomped his heels down, feeling them slide into his shoes. “Fine, Ron. You look fine. Come on, we’re late.”


Clasping the collar of his dress robes shut, Harry flew out of the room behind Ron who took the steps two at a time. Nearing the bottom step, Harry glanced up, his foot in mid air, his mind shutting down, his mouth dropping open. The next step was a blur as Harry’s foot missed it, his body weight carrying him flailing forward into the floor of the Common Room. As his body landed, Harry's face hit stone with a slap. Harry groaned.


“Smooth, Potter, really smooth,” Dean said, stepping over Harry’s sprawled form.


“You alright, Harry?”


Harry placed his palms on the ground and pushed himself up off the floor, wincing at the tingling pain radiating from his cheek. He knew his face was as red as his Gryffindor patch, but he didn’t care as he met the eyes of the vision that caused his downfall. Beautiful didn’t even come close to how Ginny looked. Her eyes were twinkling merrily at him and he could tell she was fighting to keep from laughing. Harry chuckled.


“Yeah, I’m fine,” he said, standing up and brushing his robes off. “You’re “ you’re beautiful.”


Ginny did laugh then, her cheeks turning pink with pleasure. “Thank you. And you’re ““


“Clumsy,” Ron interjected, bumping Harry in the shoulder. “Enough with the sap. Let’s get going. There’s a feast to be feasted upon!”


“Really, Ron,” Hermione admonished, rolling her eyes.


“What? There is! Am I wrong, Harry?” Ron said, pulling his date toward the portrait hole.


“No, you’re not wrong,” Harry said to Ron, before murmuring to Ginny, “not that I think I can eat any of it.”


“I know what you mean,” Ginny whispered back. “Come on. The sooner we don’t eat, the sooner we can slip away.”


“Right,” Harry replied before following Ron and Hermione out of the portrait hole.


+++++


Waiting for Ginny to return from the powder room after the feast, Harry felt a tug on his dress robes and looked down.


“Harry Potter, sir?”


“Dobby! How are you?”


“Dobby is honored that Harry Potter would ask about Dobby’s health, although Dobby thinks Harry Potter might want to ask about someone else’s health first.”


“Oh?” Harry asked, raising his eyebrows.


“Yes, Harry Potter, sir. I believe someone will be missing the ball this evening.”


“Really?” Harry said, beginning to smile. “And where would that someone be?”


“I believe he is in the hospital wing, sir, covered with bites of some sort.”


“Ant bites?”


“Well, that is what Madam Pomfrey thinks. However, the ants are nowhere to be found. Dobby believes the fire ants which may have been in his bed may have found their way outside.”


“Well, that is a disappointment, isn’t it, Dobby,” Harry nodded seriously.


“Yes, Harry Potter, sir, it most certainly is. Dobby hopes Harry Potter has a good time at the ball.”


“I will, Dobby. Thank you, I will.”


“No, sir,” Dobby said smiling widely, “thank you.”


+++++



“I’ll just be a minute,” Ginny said over her shoulder as she hurried up the steps to the girls’ dormitory.


Nathan looked around the Gryffindor Common Room in wonder. “I’ve never been in here.”


“Really?” Harry said, glancing at Anna.


“Don’t look at me,” Anna replied, “I invited, he refused. Something about protecting my virtue,” she teased.


“Anna!” Nathan exclaimed.


Despite his nervousness, Harry grinned. He liked Anna. And judging by the fact that Nathan’s eyes had hardly left his date throughout dinner, Harry was pretty sure Professor Borgin liked Anna, too.


“Got it,” Ginny said, coming down the steps with a cloth wrapped bundle.


“Do you need the notes?” Harry asked concerned.


“No,” Ginny said, smiling confidently at him. “I’m fine.”


“Then let’s go,” Nathan said, motioning toward the portrait hole.


++++


Moaning Myrtle hovered above the second stall, glaring murderously at Anna who was ignoring her. Anna had temporarily stunned the ghost before Harry opened the Chamber. Nathan had felt it was in their best interest if Myrtle was put out of commission so she couldn’t float off and tell anyone what was going on. The stunner Anna used made Myrtle unable to do anything more than float where the air in the room blew her. It had also, thankfully, rendered her silent. It did not, however, keep her from glaring at the two of them. Anna made a mental note to never enter this bathroom again. Based on the looks she was receiving, Anna would have bet Myrtle was spending her imposed silent time determining the best way to make Anna her new roommate.


Leaning against the wall, Anna instead kept her eyes focused on Nathan who was pacing up and down in front of the stalls. Anna watched him, walk five paces down, pause, turn, then walk five paces back.


“Nathan?”


“What?” he barked, whirling about.


“Nathan, it’s going to be fine,” she said softly, stepping over and putting her hand on his arm.


Nathan looked at the hand, feeling the comforting pressure through his robes. Slowly he brought up his own hand and covered hers. “I know, I know. This just has to work this time.”


“I know,” Anna said. “It will. You yourself said Ginny is ready. Anyone could see the power radiating off her tonight. Professor Dumbledore placed special wards around this floor so anyone even thinking of heading this direction would suddenly have a strong urge to return to the dance. And I’ve got a few new hexes up my sleeve just in case, although to be honest, it sounds like our role is more that of chaperone than of honor guard. Nathan - this will work.”


Nathan looked down into Anna’s upturned face. She looked at him so calmly and with such trust, he just could not help but relax. “Thank you,” he nodded, his eyes traveling to a stray curl escaping the clip that pulled her hair off her shoulders. Reaching out, he tucked it behind her ear.


Anna caught her breath as his fingers brushed her cheek. “You’re welcome,” she whispered.


Time stopped for a moment, as their eyes met. Anna blinked and bit her bottom lip. Nathan felt his heart leap. Without thinking, Nathan stepped behind a partial wall and pulled Anna with him.


“Nathan! What are you doing?” Anna exclaimed, falling into Nathan’s chest.


“Hiding,” Nathan said, his eyes focusing on Anna’s mouth.


“Why?” Anna asked breathlessly, her heart beginning to race.


“Because I don’t think professors should engage in public displays of affection in front of students,” he said, gently brushing Anna’s cheek with the back of his hand.


“Huh?” Anna said.


“I’m going to kiss you, Anna Patterson Borgin,” Nathan said, lowering his lips to hers. “And I’d rather do it without an audience, alive or otherwise.”


“Oh.”


++++++


“Do you remember this?” Ginny asked, standing hand in hand with Harry in the middle of the Chamber of Secrets.


“Every detail. You?” Harry asked, squeezing her hand.


“Every detail,” Ginny repeated quietly. “It’s odd, though, Harry,” she said, turning to look at him. “I was expecting to walk in here and have it all overwhelm me. But having seen Catarina in here, in my dreams, it’s almost as if I know this place can’t hurt me again because she’s here and you’re here and Tom’s not.”


Harry’s eyes focused on the walls, as he shook his head. “I will never forget seeing you on this floor dying, and Tom Riddle standing over you.”


“I’m truly sorry, Harry,” Ginny whispered, her eyes falling to the floor.


“Ginny, it’s not your fault,” Harry said, lifting her chin up with his finger. “It never was. I was never angry at you. I love you,” he said leaning forward to place a soft kiss on her lips.


“I love you, too, Harry.”


“Now, we’d better get started. I can’t have you turning into a pumpkin.”


“A what?”


“Sorry, Muggle fairytale. I’ll explain later.”


“Right,” Ginny nodded. “Okay, kneel down.”


Ginny placed the cloth wrapped bundle on the ground next to her and carefully folded back the material. Reaching down, she picked up the smooth, polished silver blade, feeling the coolness seep into her palm. Merlin, she missed Catarina.


“Ginny?” Harry said softly.


Ginny met his gaze, blinking the mist in front of her eyes away. Taking a deep breath, she smiled and held out her hand. Harry turned his hand palm up and placed it in hers.


“I know,” Harry said smiling, “don’t move.”


Ginny giggled. “Right. Don’t move.”


Ginny placed the tip of the blade against the freshly healed scar marking Harry’s palm. Smoothly, she drew it across, redness following silver. As before, Harry was amazed that there was no pain. In turn, Ginny switched the knife to her left hand and reopened the cut on the fleshy part of her palm. Harry held his hand out in front of him, meeting Ginny’s. Ginny wrapped a white silk ribbon around them, tucking the ends in, binding their hands.


“Now, Harry, just as before, relax and open yourself up to me. Just breathe deep and let me in,” Ginny said calmly.


Ginny watched as Harry’s eyes closed and she smiled at how her heart swelled until it ached. Closing her own eyes, Ginny sought herself, her inner being that made her who she was, the core that spoke of her power to simply be. Finding the anchor, she centered herself around the light within, reveling in her mind at the sight of the ribbons straining in multiple directions. Slowly, she calmed them, directed them and sent them forth to find their other anchor.


Having done this before, Ginny was prepared for the surge when her blood flowed with Harry’s. Catarina had said it would be this way, between her and Harry. Power had a way of magnifying the reaction. Love had a way of intensifying it. She felt the tug in her chest as the weaving began, the braiding and twining of power and blood. The brightness glowed around them as she began to speak the simple spell.


”Blood into Blood
My strength I give to you
Our Bond Everlasting


Blood into Blood
My strength I give to you
To heal you, To help you


Blood into Blood
We become One
Of heart, Of Flow


Blood into Blood
Our powers united
Our Bond Everlasting”




Ginny felt the warmth flow from Harry into her as the ribbons became entwined, binding them magically, heart and soul. Light from their bound hands filled the Chamber, forming a stream that raced through the cavern, coming together to form the fabric that bound their two bodies. The light wrapped itself around them, head to toe, shielding them, protecting them. Ginny felt the bond stretch taught and tight. She directed the light that had woven around them like a blanket into a single, lightening bright ribbon and sent it into their bond. The fabric stretched, becoming thin, then snapped back, whole and resilient, as it absorbed the light, strengthening itself with its own magic.


The light faded and Ginny found herself floating back to her center, happiness bubbling up from inside her. The pull was there, but it was different. It wasn’t free floating anymore. It was connected. It was safe. It was strong. Slowly, Ginny opened her eyes.


“Harry?” she said quietly.


Harry’s eyes were closed and a smile gradually spread across his face. “If I open my eyes, will I see this when I close them again?” he asked.


Ginny smiled, a flood of love pouring out of her heart as she reached up to untie the ribbon. “From what Catarina said, you will always be able to see it, if you know where to look.”


Harry opened his eyes and blinked at her. “Where do I look?”


Ginny leaned forward and placed her palm over Harry’s heart. “Right here,” she whispered.


Harry covered her hand with his and wrapped his arm around her shoulders, pulling her against his chest. “I love you, Ginevra Weasley.”



“I love you too, Harry Potter.”


“I’m getting blood on your robes.”


Ginny snorted against his chest. “Nice, Harry. Really nice.”



++++


“I think Dean spiked the punch,” Ron grumbled, looking at the bottom of his cup.


“Nope, sorry,” Dean answered from behind him. “I tried. Flitwick caught me. How he can see over the tabletop is beyond me, but he did. Lost ten points. Why?”


“Well,” Ron said, glancing over his shoulder at the dance floor and grimacing, “Professor Borgin is holding hands with his date and I think I just saw Harry snog Ginny.”


“Well, Ron,” Hermione said, “Harry did say Professor Borgin and Anna are married. And Harry and Ginny have been going out for a while now. I’m sure a kiss isn’t out of the question.”


“Professor Borgin is married? To Miss Patterson?” Neville piped up, looking around Ron to the dance floor.


“Okay, did anyone hear the second part of what I said? Harry kissed Ginny on the dance floor. Harry Potter. My sister. I’m feeling ill,” Ron said, setting his punch cup down on the table nearby.


Hermione rolled her eyes.


“No, really, Hermione,” Ron said, “I mean, with Harry as Ginny’s boyfriend, I was pretty assured of not having to witness such blatant public displays of affection.”


“Such as snogging your girlfriend at breakfast?” Neville asked innocently.


Hermione blushed as Ron nodded emphatically. “Exactly. I mean, Harry would never do that. And here he is, snogging my little sister on the dance floor. I need some air.”


Hermione shook her head as she watched Ron’s retreating back. Her gaze traveled over to the dance floor where a striking couple held each other close, eyes closed, swaying to the music.


“Are you coming, Hermione?” Ron called.


“Yes, I’m coming,” Hermione sighed, before following, her eyes lingering on Harry’s hand that clasped Ginny’s and held it to his heart.


“Hermione!”


“Coming, Ron,” Hermione said smiling, turning to follow her own heart.


Harry and Ginny swayed on the dance floor, heart to heart, oblivious to the world around them, tied together by the ribbons of love that now bound them.




++++







A/N “ All together now “ FINALLY!  I hope it was worth the wait!


And for all of you who’ve so desperately wanted revenge on Malfoy, either one, here’s a start. Hope it satisfied!



Once again, thanks to my amazing beta/collaborators, wvchemteach & Anya.
Options by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.




Other Options







“NO!” thundered Nathan, his fist slamming on the table.


“And why not?” Moody growled. “This will work.”


“No, it won’t,” Nathan snapped.


“It will,” Snape contradicted, his dark eyes gleaming with satisfaction at Nathan.


Nathan rubbed his eyes. His head was pounding. It was past two in the morning. He had no patience left for this. His evening had been going so well. The castle secured after the Halloween festivities, he had been set to crawl under his blankets, close his eyes and dream of how wonderful Anna had felt back in his arms. Then, the knock on his door came. And now he found himself in the kitchen of Grimmauld place.


Dropping his hand to his side, Nathan’s tired eyes looked up to meet Molly’s. From the moment he had walked in, she had coldly ignored him. That had been fine with him. He had no desire to deal with her tonight. When Dumbledore had informed the members of The Order sitting around the kitchen table at Grimmauld Place of the evening’s events, she had gasped. Nathan had almost laughed when Dumbledore mentioned that Ginny had bestowed upon Harry 'Sanguis'. Molly had shot Nathan a look of pure hatred that could only be interpreted as, How dare you infect my daughter and Harry with anything! When Dumbledore had gone on to explain the blood protection and its connection to her, Nathan surmised that the Weasley blush was most likely a genetic trait.


He was most surprised, though, when he saw Molly turn to the cupboard, reach up for a small vial and pour some of its contents into a glass. She placed it in front of him and nodded. Nathan raised his eyebrows.


“For your headache,” Molly stated simply, before returning to her place beside her husband.


Nathan nodded his thanks and downed the vial, the throbbing behind his eyes lessening immediately.


“Nathan?” Dumbledore asked. “Will this work?”


“It’s not proven,” Nathan said firmly.


“This is a war, Borgin,” Moody stated. “We don’t need exact proof.”


“No, but you do need to consider the consequences,” Nathan argued. “And these consequences are too great!”


“I think you should let the Order decide that,” Snape snarled.


Nathan glared at Snape but continued. “Should the potion actually work, yes, it will cause Lord Voldemort intolerable pain.” Nathan rolled his eyes at the gasps around the table. “It would render him unable to fight back.”


“But why do Harry and Ginny need to be a part of this?” Arthur asked, his brow furrowed as he tried to grasp the ramifications of this plan.


“Their part is minimal,” Nathan continued. “In fact, it is really only Ginny who would need to contribute her blood.”


“The potion,” Snape interrupted, annoyed that Nathan wasn’t moving his explanation along fast enough, “requires bonded blood. The part of Miss Weasley’s blood that is still her own, would bond with Potter’s blood flowing within the Dark Lord.”


“Isn’t this what Malfoy tried?” Bill asked from the end of the table. “And look at what it did to him.”


“Yes, it is a form of that,” Nathan answered. “Where it differs most is in the use of the bonded blood. If done correctly, the blood will build on the Obliteration Charm my mother used. It will corrupt his body, his neve endings, his blood flow. It will cause an internal combustion.”


“Will it kill him?” Molly asked in a low voice.


“I don’t think so,” Nathan replied honestly. “But it would do serious damage.”


“Then what is your problem?” Moody said, leaning over the table, both his normal and magical eyes boring into Nathan, daring him to back down.


“My problem is if something “ anything “ goes wrong, the potion could backfire on us. It would be as if Ginny bonded with him, giving him all the benefits of a blood bond without the actual ceremony which he is unable to do anyway. He could force Ginny to do what he forced my mother to do,” Nathan said harshly, pushing himself up out of his seat, his eyes burning back into Moody’s. “And it will negate the blood protection she has given Harry.”


“Then we can’t do it,” Molly said succinctly.


“Molly,” Dumbledore cautioned.


“No, Albus, we can’t do this,” Molly repeated firmly, her eyes flashing. “As long as I have a breath in me, I will not let him touch a hair on my daughter’s head if I can help it. And if this won’t kill him, then the Prophecy stands true. Harry must face him. And that means Harry needs all the protection he can get. If there is a chance that can be taken away, then we can’t do this,” she argued.


Nathan fell back into his chair. He had the sudden urge to reach across the table and hug Molly Weasley, but he couldn’t muster the energy. He settled for a nod of thanks when he caught her eye. She nodded back.


“You are thinking with your emotions,” Snape scowled. “You need to think with your head.”


“Severus is right,” Moody growled.


“It is a viable plan,” Dumbledore said. “We cannot ignore it.”


“Do we have to decide tonight?” Bill asked wearily, glancing at his watch.


“No,” Dumbledore answered. “As of right now, we don’t believe Tom knows the bonding has occurred. But we cannot waste any time and we must consider it. Nathan, if you feel so adamantly against this, I would suggest you use what time we do have to look for other options.”


“Yes, sir,” Nathan answered, rising from the table. As he made his way to the entryway of the kitchen, he felt a tug on the back of his robes. Turning around, he saw Molly looking critically at his shoulders. “Molly?”


“Good night, Nathan,” she said, stepping back.


“Good night, Molly, Arthur,” Nathan replied slowly as he backed into the hall.


“Nathan, what’s your favorite color?” Bill asked, coming up beside him.


“Uh, blue,” Nathan answered, “why?”


“It’s eight weeks until Christmas; you want to protect her daughter; and trust me,” Bill said, clapping him on the shoulder, “she had the ‘olive green’ look in her eye.”


+++++



Stella Boggins sat down and surveyed her desk. Someone had touched something. She knew they had. Success was based on order and her desk was definitely out of order. Stella narrowed her eyes behind her glasses and studied her desktop. Someone…had moved…her quill holder. It should be sitting two centimeters diagonally up from her desk pad. It was now at least two and half centimeters up and slightly off to the right. Stella reached forward and moved it back. She nodded in satisfaction. Her world realigned, Stella adjusted her glasses and opened her desk drawer.


Scritch, scritch, scritch.


Stella stopped and looked down at the drawer. Did she have a mouse living amongst her parchment? Stella leaned down and squinted into the darkness of her drawer.


Scritch, scritch, scritch.


Stella popped back up. That noise wasn’t coming from her desk drawer. Perhaps under her desk? Picking up her shoes, Stella shifted her weight to one hip and leaned over the side of the chair to look under her desk. Teetering precariously, she peered into the dust bunnies.


Scritch, scritch, scritch.



Stella jerked up, her head crashing against the open desk drawer.


“Oh!” she exclaimed, her eyes watering as she rubbed her palm over her wirery gray hair that was tied neatly in a bun at the base of her neck.


Scritch, scritch.



Stella sucked in her breath. She blinked to clear her vision. She squinted at the bookstand against the wall in the corner.


The quill had moved.


Her heart pounding, Stella whipped off her glasses and quickly polished them on her robes. She placed them back on her nose and stared at the book on the bookstand.


Scritch, scritch.


Stella covered her rapidly beating heart with her hand. It hadmoved.


“Merlin’s beard,” she whispered in awe.


Stella pushed her chair back and walked slowly to the bookstand. The quill finished its final flourish and skipped to the second column. Stella waited, holding her breath as if the act of breathing would influence the movement of the writing instrument. The quill touched down and began to write again, recording the name of the second individual involved.


Stella exhaled and leaned back on her heels, contemplating the first entry in the book. She recognized the name - well, at least the last name. She then looked expectantly at the second column. Her breath caught in her throat and her face lost all color. Her eyes traveled from one name to the other. She wasn’t sure if the nervous wiggles in her stomach were from excitement or fear or both.


The quill finished the last letter and moved down to the next line, hovering in place, waiting for the next entry. Stella swallowed hard. Slowly, she reached out and plucked the quill out of the air. Placing it on the bookstand, Stella pulled the thick book toward her and read the newest entry again. Pursing her lips, she held the book on her forearms and closed it quickly. Stella sneezed as a cloud of dust arose from the pages. Sniffling, she tucked the book under her arm and headed toward the exit of the Department of Mysteries. The Minister of Magic needed to know.


After all, there hadn’t been a new entry in the Registry of Mediators for over fifty years.


And no one would ever say that anything good had come out of that bond.


+++++


“Come on, Harry! Get moving! We’re late!” Ron shouted over his shoulder as he galloped down the stairs to the common room from the boys’ dormitory, his broom clutched in his hand. “We’ve got a week until our match with Slytherin. We could use the “ Ginny! What are you doing?”


Ron stopped two steps from the bottom as Ginny brushed by him on her way up.


“Ginny! You can’t go up there! Harry’s not dressed!”


“Good!” Ginny said, as she continued on up.


“Ginny!” Ron exclaimed. “You ca-“


“Oh, just shut it, Ron!” Ginny said, stopping and turning around to look down on him. “I’ll knock first. Merlin knows I wouldn’t mind seeing Harry starkers, but I have no desire to see any of his other roommates in that state, including you!”


Ron’s cheeks flared and his mouth opened in a sputter as Ginny whirled around and ran up the remaining steps. Stopping in front of the door to Harry’s dormitory, she rapped three times on the wood with her knuckles.


“Harry?”


“Yeah - Gin?”


“Are you wearing anything?”


Ginny grinned as she heard Harry chuckle.


“Sorry, I am fully dressed.”


“I’ll have to be earlier tomorrow, then,” Ginny replied cheekily as she pushed the door open.


Harry sat on his bed trying to tie the laces of his trainers without touching the newly scabbed over cut in his hand. Ginny’s breath caught as she felt pulled forward by the invisible force that joined them now.


“Pretty cool, isn’t it?” Harry asked, giving up on the laces and grinning widely at her.


“Yeah,” Ginny giggled, crossing the room and sitting down next to him on the bed. “Good morning.”


“Good morning to you,” Harry replied, leaning over to give Ginny a kiss.


“YO! HARRY! GINNY! WILL YOU TWO HURRY UP! I’M STARVING!”


“RON! GO! WE’LL CATCH UP!” Ginny shouted back, rolling her eyes. “It’s a wonder Hermione puts up with that.”


“He’s got a point,” Harry sighed, his eyes returning to his shoes. “We do need to get going.”


“Here,” Ginny said, standing up and digging in her jeans pocket. “Hold your hand out.”


Harry held his hand out and watched as Ginny opened a small pot filled with a greenish looking paste. Scooping some out with her forefinger and putting the pot on the bed, Ginny gently cradled Harry’s hand against her stomach. As soon as she touched him, Harry felt warmth spread up his arm. A sense of calmness filled him; his mind felt clear and alert.


“Wow,” he breathed.


“Wow, what?” Ginny asked, her finger poised above the cut on Harry’s hand.


“Wow that,” Harry said. “You “ you touched me and suddenly I feel like I could tackle the hardest potion Snape could throw at me without a problem.”


Ginny grinned and began to spread the paste on Harry’s cut. “I’m good,” she said knowingly.


Harry chuckled. “Yes, you are. What is that stuff?”


“Just something to keep the cut from getting infected. Professor Borgin gave it to me yesterday. He said the cut has to heal naturally. Any additional magic used to fix the wound might influence the bond.”


“And I take it stitches are out of the question?” Harry joked, remembering Mr. Weasley’s experience with the Muggle healing technique.


Ginny shot Harry an exasperated look and wiped the excess paste on her jeans. She then picked up a flesh colored bandage she’d placed on the bed and covered Harry’s cut with it.


“There, that should keep it protected during practice.”


“Thanks,” Harry said, inspecting his palm. “You can hardly tell it’s there.”


“I know,” Ginny said smiling. “That’s the point. But you know, Harry, we do need to tell Ron and Hermione. The sooner the better.”


“Yup,” Harry said, standing up and holding his hand out to her. “How about after practice?”


“After practice,” Ginny agreed, weaving her fingers with Harry’s. Her world suddenly felt calmer, too, almost brighter, in fact. Love was good, she thought. Very, very good.


++++


Ginny kicked off the ground and soared up, leaving the ground far beneath her feet. The cool morning breeze contradicted the sun that bathed her neck as she stretched her head back to breathe deep. She felt so light, she wondered if it was her broom that was carrying her upward or her heart. From deep inside, she felt a joyous “Whoop!” emerge. Spinning her broom around to face the middle of the Pitch, she caught Harry’s eye. He grinned at her. She grinned back and winked.


“Alright, simple drills to warm up,” Ron shouted. “Let’s start by tossing the quaffle back and forth. Kirke “ you pair up with Winston. Potter and Parsons. Jack, you go with Ginny. Alright, let’s get started.”


Ron returned to the ground and tossed up a quaffle to each of the pairs.


“Hey, Ginny,” Jack said, flying in front of her.


“Hi, Jack. You ready?” Ginny asked, reaching out her hand to catch the quaffle coming at her. She winced slightly as the hard leather surface made contact with her palm.


“You bet,” Jack replied and Ginny passed the quaffle to him.


For the next five minutes, the pairs sent good natured ribbing back and forth with each pass while Ron flew in between commenting on technique or adding a good natured rib of his own. Ginny smiled as she watched her brother. As Quidditch Captain, Ron was definitely in his element. Ron had a real knack for strategy that when combined with his love for the game, gave the Gryffindor team a leader of extraordinary talent at its helm. Not that she was going to tell him that…at least not any time soon.


“Alright, now let’s get going down the Pitch,” Ron shouted as he began to fly in and out of the pairs attempting to steal the quaffle.


Setting of toward the goals, Ginny felt the sweat gathering between her shoulder blades as she flew, her eyes never leaving their target. Her temples begin to ache as she clenched her jaw in an effort to ignore the throbbing in her hand. She loosened her grip on her broom handle in hopes of lessening the pain. Even though this helped a little, she still sighed with relief when Ron shouted for them to stop. Tucking the quaffle under her arm, Ginny shook her hand, attempting to relieve the stinging.


“You alright?” Harry asked quietly, coming to a stop next to her.


“Yeah,” Ginny replied. “It’s a little tender.”


Ginny grimaced as she wrapped one hand around her broom handle. “You?”


“A little sore, but I don’t have to keep catching the quaffle. You want to take a break?” Harry asked.


“No, I’ll be okay,” Ginny said, lifting her arm to drop the quaffle into her hand.


“You sure?”


“Yeah, thanks,” Ginny replied, smiling at him reassuringly.


“Oy! Potter, you’ve got a snitch to catch. Ginny, chase something besides Harry! Let’s try some maneuvers.”


Narrowing her eyes, Ginny turned and flung the quaffle at the goalposts where Ron was hovering.


“Hey! We haven’t started yet!” Ron shouted indignantly, as he lunged to catch the oncoming quaffle.


“Sorry,” Ginny yelled cheekily back and headed to take her position.


Ron spent the next half hour putting them through their paces, reminding them all that this was his last opportunity to crush Slytherin in Quidditch. Nothing, he lectured, nothing was going to keep them from proving to the Slytherins again who truly ruled the Hogwarts Quidditch Pitch.


Ginny blocked out Ron’s ongoing comments as she concentrated on working through the soreness in her hand. It didn’t seem to matter if she caught the quaffle with her right or left hand. Her gloved palm either came into contact with a speeding object or was gripped around a broom handle, rubbing up and down with each change in direction or elevation. Her jaw clenched, Ginny could feel the sweat on her brow. She squinted her eyes, trying to shut out the throbbing, willing her mind to stay on the game.


“Ginny!”


Ginny turned her head to see Sue Winston, the new third year Chaser, pass the quaffle to her. Reaching out, the quaffle slapped hard into her palm. Ginny yelped. Tears began to form at the corners of her eyes and she dropped the quaffle.


“Ginny! What’s your problem today? I know the Halloween Ball was last night, but for Merlin’s sake, get your mind on the game! What are you doing? Get back up here!” Ron yelled as Ginny landed on the ground and stripped off her glove.


“Harry, what are you doing?” Ron shouted exasperatedly, as Harry joined her on the ground. Seeing their heads bent together, not paying any attention to him, Ron flew down. “Practice is still going on, you “ Ginny! You’re bleeding! What the “ “


Ron looked open mouthed at Ginny’s palm which was resting skyward in Harry’s hand. The bandage Ginny had applied was twisted and half off the open seeping wound. Harry dug in his pocket for his handkerchief and pressed it to her hand.
Ron grabbed Harry’s hand and turned it palm up. Harry’s bandaged was rolled at the edges but for the most part still covering his cut.


Ron looked at Harry. He looked at Ginny. He looked up in the air at the remainder of his team.


“Practice is over! Hit the showers!” he bellowed up at them. Turning to Harry and Ginny, he scowled. “Castle. Hermione. Now!”


Turning on his heel, Ron marched toward the castle.


Still holding her hand, Harry looked at Ginny. “Well,” he said.


“Guess practice is over,” Ginny said mildly, unable to find anything but amusement in the situation.


“Yup.”


“Guess we should tell them.”


“You think?” Harry grinned.


“Yeah, I think,” Ginny giggled.


Picking up her broom and wedging it under his arm with his Firebolt, Harry tucked Ginny’s hand against his side as they followed Ron back to the castle.



+++++


“Do you think we should help explain?” Ginny whispered to Harry at the back of the Transfiguration class room.


“How long have we been standing here?” Harry asked, as Ron again passed by Hermione who was sitting in the front row of desks.


Ginny glanced at her watch. “Ten minutes.”


“He seems to be doing fine on his own,” Harry commented, leaning back against the wall and pulling Ginny in front of him, her back to his chest. Leaning his chin on her shoulder, his eyes trailed Ron. “Do you think Hermione’s mad?”


“No,” Ginny answered, folding her arms over Harry’s which where crossed around her waist. It struck her that Harry had never hugged her in any manner for an extended period of time in front of other people. She rather liked it. It certainly made watching Ron’s theatrics more enjoyable. “I think she might be slightly hurt we didn’t tell her, but “ ah, see, the hands - she’s explaining to Ron that he should wait and ask us what happened.”


“Right,” Harry said, “and Ron’s telling her that he shouldn’t have to ask, we should have told them.”


“Uh-huh, and now she’s telling him that we’re standing here watching,” Ginny said, smiling and giving Ron a cheerful little wave as he stopped to glare at them, his eyes traveling over Harry’s hands on Ginny’s waist. “We should go up there,” Ginny said, reluctantly stepping forward out of Harry’s embrace. Her hand seeking his, Ginny pulled Harry toward the front of the classroom.


Ron stood there, his face glowing red, his chest heaving with frustration, his arms crossed in front of him. He opened his mouth. Hermione shot him a warning look. He clamped it shut again.


Turning in her seat, Hermione looked directly at Harry and Ginny. “So - anything new?”


Harry blinked in surprise at Hermione. Ginny met her gaze and giggled. Ron glared at her.


“Hermione!” Ron sputtered. “They “ they bonded!”


“I know that, Ron,” Hermione replied exasperated, “I could have told you that last night. All you had to do was really see them on the dance floor to know something changed. And it makes perfect sense to do it on Halloween while the whole school was occupied so they wouldn’t be interrupted. Just out of curiosity, where did you do it?”


Ginny glanced quickly at Harry who squeezed her hand. “The Chamber of Secrets,” she answered.


“Huh,” Hermione said, mulling it over in her mind and shaking her head at Ron who had opened his mouth.


“We wanted to tell you,” Ginny explained, “but the fewer people who knew the better.”


“So who knew?” Ron asked perturbed.


“Professor Borgin, Dumbledore, Snape…” Ginny answered.


“And Miss Patterson,” Harry added, “or is it Mrs. Patterson? Mrs. Borgin?”


“She told us to call her Anna,” Ginny reminded Harry.


“Right,” Harry nodded. “Just seems odd to call a professor’s wife by her first name.”


“Hello?” Hermione said, waving at Harry and Ginny. “Why couldn’t you tell us?”


“Oh, sorry,” Ginny apologized. “Remember the book Harry was reading at Catarina’s?”


“On blood protection?” Hermione nodded.


“Yeah, what my mum was researching,” Harry confirmed. “Turns out she sent some of her research to the author of the book, Anna’s father.”


“Anna’s father wrote about blood protection?” Hermione repeated impressed.


“He wrote about a type of blood protection called Sanguis,” Ginny said. “It is the blood protection that is passed on from mother to child in the womb. When a blood bond is performed, the protection is weakened because the blood is altered.”


“So does that mean Harry isn’t safe at the Dursely’s anymore?” Hermione asked, putting two and two together.


“Not as safe as he was,” Ginny nodded.


“Where will you live?” Ron asked, his concern mixed with hope at the prospect of Harry living anywhere but the Dursleys overriding his anger.


“With Ginny,” Harry said seriously.


“WHAT?” Ron yelped.


“Does your bond with Ginny give you the same protection?” Hermione asked curiously.


“In a way, yes,” Ginny answered. “Harry is now protected by the blood protection that mum gave me. It flowed through me to him when we bonded, and is actually stronger because we love each other. So as long as we’re living under the same roof, he’s protected better than ever. Professor Borgin felt it best that we not tell anyone because so much was riding on the bonding being successful. If we had been interrupted…” Ginny’s voice trailed off.


“Ron, I’m really sorry,” Harry apologized. “It’s just ““


“No, I get it,” Ron said, waving his hands in front of him. “I get it. I just got a little wound up when I saw the blood.”


Untangling her fingers from Harry’s, Ginny stepped forward and wrapped her arms around her brother. She stood on tip-toe to plant a quick kiss on his cheek.


“It’s okay, Ron,” she answered. “I know you were just concerned with my well being.”


“Uh, well, no,” Ron answered sheepishly, “I was worried about your flying. You’re game was really off up there, Gin. I mean, if you’re going to play like that on Saturday, Harry here has got to catch that Snitch in two minutes flat otherwise we’ll never live it down “ oof!”


Ron doubled over as Ginny socked him in the stomach. Stretching her hand, Ginny turned it over for inspection.


”How’s the hand, Gin?” Harry asked, trying not to grin at Ron and failing miserably.


“Loads better, thanks.”



“You got him, Hermione?” Harry asked as he placed an arm around Ginny’s shoulder.


“Unfortunately, yes,” Hermione said, shaking her head at Ron who’d fallen into a seat beside her.


“Have a little sympathy, will you?” Ron complained. “It’s Slytherin!”



+++++


“When?”


“According to the letter, the registration needs to take place within a month of the bonding,” Dumbledore answered, his eyes scanning the parchment on his desk. “Poppy can draw the blood.”


“Do they both have to go?” Nathan asked, his fingers rubbing his temples in hope of relieving the dull ache that had started to throb there.


“Yes,” Dumbledore said, looking up at Nathan and Snape who sat on the opposite side of his desk in his office. “According to the letter, since both of their names appeared in the Registry, they are both required to go to be tested.”


“Can’t they do the testing here?” Nathan asked desperately.


“I’m afraid not,” Dumbledore replied, folding his hands on his desk. “However, if there is a bright spot in all of this, once Miss Weasley is registered, she will be granted legal status. In other words, she will be considered of age at the time she registers in the eyes of the Ministry.”


“Antiquated old law,” Nathan fumed.


“Antiquated, perhaps, but necessary,” Snape sneered, his eyes clearly saying what his words didn’t.


“Severus, leave my mother out of this,” Nathan snapped.


“Gentlemen!” Dumbledore interrupted, his voice rising.


“They are required to turn in a vial of blood,” Snape reminded them, his eyes narrowed on Nathan.


“Yes, they are,” Dumbledore confirmed. “And,” he continued, pushing away from his desk and standing up, “that leads us to another issue.”


“He will know. He will find out,” Nathan sighed heavily.


“We knew this was bound to happen,” Dumbledore said.


“Tell him we have the potion,” Snape said.


“No,” Nathan snapped.


“We don’t have a choice,” Snape argued.


“Severus, you know the consequences!” Nathan shouted, dropping his fists onto Dumbledore’s desk with a thud.


“It is our best option,” Snape growled. “The Order ““


“NO!” Nathan pounded his fist on the desk, his face flushed with anger. “The Order hasn’t decided anything. This isn’t our best option! If this potion were to go awry, it could backfire on us. Instead of permanently maiming Voldemort further, it could remove the blood protection, it could make him stronger than ever, it cou ““


“It could do serious damage to the Dark Lord,” Snape sneered.


“Gentlemen!” Dumbledore shouted into their midst. “Sit down!”


His chest heaving, his fists clutched in his robes, Nathan clenched his jaw shut and sat. Snape’s nostrils flared as his lip curled and he sat also, glaring.


“Sir, we just need some time,” Nathan pleaded, turning to the Headmaster.


“We don’t have time,” Snape said scornfully.


“Severus is right,” Dumbledore replied. “Time is not something we have in abundance. Nathan, I know you would like to find another way to put Voldemort out of commission, but he is going to find out. We need to have something ready that will keep you safe. The registration must take place within a month. I will contact the Ministry and see about getting the registration put off until the last possible minute. Harry and Ginny’s bond will be stronger. You will have time to come up with an alternative option. In the meantime, you will need to tell Tom the news as soon as possible. Ginny’s name appeared a week ago. I am surprised if he doesn’t already know.”


“Is there anything else, sir?” Snape asked, standing up.


“No, not at this time,” Dumbledore replied wearily, sitting down himself behind his desk. “Good luck to your house in today’s match, Severus.”


Snape inclined his head and turned to exit. Nathan pushed himself out of the chair and met the Headmaster’s gaze.


“I don’t like this, sir,” he said quietly.


“I don’t either,” Dumbledore replied, his eyes saddened and dull, “but as of now, it is our best option.”


Nathan sighed and nodded. “Sir? Since she will be considered of legal age by the Ministry, I think it would be a good idea for Ginny to obtain her Apparation license while she is at the Ministry.”


“That is a good idea, Nathan,” Dumbledore nodded, picking up his quill. “I will make the arrangements. Any thoughts on where she should practice?”


“Yes, Sir, I have one,” Nathan replied, flushing slightly. “It will require some safety measures be put into place, though.”


“Very well,” Dumbledore smiled, a little of the twinkle coming back into his gaze. “I will see to it that proper arrangements are made to get Miss Weasley there and back safely.”


“Thank you, sir,” Nathan said before turning around and striding to the door.


“Work fast, Nathan,” Dumbledore called softly to his retreating back, “work fast.”


++++++


The magnified voice boomed up at Ginny as she flew down the Pitch. Over the past week, her hand had healed nicely. While still sore, the extra wrappings she had put on it before the match were helping her fly without worry.


“AND GRYFFINDOR SCORES! SUE WINSTON PUTS THE QUAFFLE THROUGH THE MIDDLE HOOP! GRYFFINDOR FIFTY; SLYTHERIN TEN.”


Ginny held out her hand as Sue flew by. “Nice one!” she shouted as she gave her fellow chaser a high five.


“Thanks!” Sue shouted back.


“Gin!”


Ginny stretched her hand and grabbed the incoming quaffle out of mid-air. Drawing it to her, she leaned over her broom handle, weaving in and out of the pursing Slytherins.


“Libby!” she shouted and passed the quaffle.


“Gin, watch out!”


Ginny rolled to the side as Jack Sloper few in front of her, beating the oncoming bludger out of her way.


“Thanks!” she shouted.


“No problem!” he shouted back grinning as he flew in the direction of Harry.


Harry circled the Pitch, his eyes scanning for the Snitch. He hadn’t seen it since the game started twenty minutes ago. The wind whistled by his ears as he shot down the field looking for a flash of gold. He leaned forward, urging his Firebolt forward when a sudden force slammed into his side, sending him careening off course. Gasping for air, he rolled his broom, swinging back upright to come face to face with Draco Malfoy.


“Sorry about that, Potter,” Malfoy sneered as he pulled up.


“What? Couldn’t stop in time on that Nimbus?” Harry taunted as he set off back down the Pitch.



“You’ll pay for what you did to my broom, Potter,” Malfoy yelled, diving after him.


“I didn’t touch your broom or your robes or your bed,” Harry shouted.



“OH! AND MALCOM BADDOX, SLYTERHIN’S CHASER, GOT ONE BY WEASLEY. TEN POINTS TO SLYTHERIN.”



“You’re going down, Potter,” Mayfoy leered, his fingers subconsciously leaving scratch lines through the salve covering the still healing ant bites on his face as he sideswiped Harry.


“No, I’m NOT!” Harry shouted, kicking his foot out and making contact with Malfoy’s broom.


Malfoy rolled. Harry pulled his Firebolt up and around. His eyes caught a flash of gold, hovering right above Stidham, a Slytherin Chaser who was taunting Ron by the three hoops at Gryffindor’s end of the field. Adrenaline flowing freely through his veins, Harry pushed his Firebolt forward, Malfoy on his tail. Malfoy inched closer, pressing his shoulder into Harry’s side, pushing him toward the stands. Harry’s eyes stayed glued on the Snitch. Malfoy grabbed the front of Harry’s robes and pulled. Harry shoved back and shot forward.


Balancing on his broom, Harry stretched one hand out for the Snitch, the other shot out to the side, shoving Malfoy away. Malfoy grabbed his broom handle to catch his balance. His hands, coated with salve, slipped. Harry’s fingers closed around the fluttering wings and he drew the Snitch into his chest. He noticed Malfoy waver. Harry whipped his Firebolt around, the end catching Malfoy square in the chest. Harry watched as Malfoy’s arms flailed, his broom falling out beneath him, his robes snagging on the end hoop. Malfoy hung in mid-air, looking like a child’s plaything with a string to pull that sends the arms and legs flailing.


“AND POTTER CATCHES THE SNITCH! GRYFFINDOR WINS BY A SCORE OF 200 PLUS ONE SEEKER TO 20!”


“Malfoy,” Harry shouted above the din, as he heard the stitching on Malfoy’s robes begin to give way, “I told you I wasn’t the one going down.”


Engulfed in teammates, Harry missed the look on Malfoy’s face as the seams gave way and the Slytherin Seeker fell to the ground.


+++++


“Professor Borgin?”


Nathan looked up from the pile of books on his desk to find Ginny standing in the doorway to his office.


“Ginny! Come in. What are you doing here? I would assume you’re missing quite the celebration in your common room right now,” he surmised, dropping his quill and sitting back in his chair.


Ginny nodded and stepped carefully into the office. It appeared as if some of Hagrid’s Nifflers had been set loose in the room. The normally neat and tidy workspace was in total disarray. Books were open on every surface and wads of discarded parchment were strewn across the floor. Ginny looked up in concern.


“Is everything alright?” she asked, stopping so as to not step on anything important.


Nathan grimaced as he ran his hands through his hair. He didn’t want to ruin today for Ginny. A Quidditch win was an occasion for celebration, especially when it was against your arch rival.


“Research, Ginny,” he replied truthfully. “What has torn you away from your festivities?”


“This,” Ginny said, leaning forward and stretching out her hand. “It came this morning.”


Nathan pushed himself out of his chair and reached for the roll of parchment. Unrolling it, he noted the Ministry seal at the top and sighed.


“You know about it?” Ginny asked, interpreting Nathan’s reaction correctly.


Nathan nodded and motioned toward a chair across from his desk. “Just move the books to the floor. Yes, I found out this morning from Professor Dumbledore. The Ministry sent him a similar letter, too.”


“What does it mean when it says Harry and I need to register?” Ginny asked, scooping up the books in the chair and placing them on the floor at her feet before sitting down.


“It means you have to sign the official registry. I had no idea there even was one. My mother never mentioned it to me.”


“She never said anything to me either,” Ginny said.


“It also means that your blood needs to be on file for testing purposes,” Nathan said, rolling up the parchment and handing it back.


“Exactly what are they testing for?” Ginny asked suspiciously.


Nathan smiled. “They just want to make sure you’re truly bonded. I’m assuming it’s because they want to weed out the imposters. Did Harry also receive a letter?”


“I think so. We didn’t have time this morning before the match to talk and I don’t want to ruin his evening right now,” Ginny replied.


“Yes, I understand I missed quite the finale,” Nathan commented.


Ginny giggled. “Yeah, it was something.”


“Ginny,” Nathan said, sitting up straight, his expression growing serious again, “there’s something else you should know. Now that you are bonded, Tom will find out.”


All humor faded from Ginny’s face as she realized the position that Nathan now found himself in.


“What will that mean for you?” she asked quietly.


“I need to tell him you bonded before he finds out from another source.”


Ginny bit her bottom lip and nodded in understanding.


“Professors Snape and Dumbledore and some of The Order members believe if we are able to convince Lord Voldemort that your bonding is beneficial to him, he is less likely to harm anyone involved,” Nathan said quietly.


“How are you going to do that?” Ginny asked skeptically.


“By telling him there is a potion using your bonded blood that will be as good as bonding with you.”


“But, won’t Harry and my blood “ isn’t that what Lucius Malfoy tried to do?” Ginny asked confused.


“Sort of. Lucius needed your blood only, not your bonded blood. However, there is another potion my father wrote of using bonded blood that when combined with Voldemort’s should do him considerable harm. It is similar to a blood boiling potion.” Nathan paused and looked down at his fingertips tapping on the surface of his desk.


“But?” Ginny asked, sensing there was more to it.


“But if the potion does not work properly, it could negate the blood protection you have given Harry. It could make Tom stronger than he ever was. It would allow him to use your bond against you.”


“Oh,” Ginny breathed, her eyes wide, her face pale.


“Ginny, it would also be as if you bonded with Tom, himself.”


“But I’m already bonded!” Ginny answered.


“But if Harry were to die…” Nathan’s voice trailed off.


“Oh,” Ginny whispered, horrified at the implications of what wasn’t said.


“As of right now, Professor Snape and Dumbledore think approaching Voldemort with the idea of there being a potion using bonded blood that would be beneficial to him is our best option, seeing as you are already bonded, and he’s going to find out at some point in time.”


Ginny’s eyes traveled to Nathan’s bookshelves, scanning the contents but not really seeing them. “And you?” she asked quietly.


“I think we need to keep looking for other options,” Nathan sighed heavily, “but I’m not sure there are other options out there.”


Anger began to boil up within her. Did anyone even think of asking her or Harry? It was, after all, their future, too. At what point in time did she get to have a say?


“Your mother doesn’t want to do it, either,” Nathan said, resting his hands on his desk. “It’s just not a good idea,” he said, shaking his head. “I’ve got to find another way.”


Ginny studied Nathan for a moment, noticing the darkness under his eyes and the slump of his shoulders. This wasn’t his idea. They were on the same side.


“It’s alright,” she said softly, rising from her chair. “We’ll do what we need to do. Harry and I will go and register. You will tell “ tell him what you need to. And we will find another option.”


Nathan raised his head and met Ginny’s eyes. “Thank you,” he said quietly.


“You’re welcome,” Ginny replied.


“Oh, and Ginny, there’s one more thing,” Nathan said. “While you’re at the Ministry, it would be a good idea to see about getting your Apparation license.”


Ginny’s eyes lit up. “Really? But I’m not of legal age,” she said, her excitement fading. “And where am I supposed to practice? I’m not good enough to walk in and just do it. Merlin knows where I would end up!”


Nathan grinned. “Well for starters, once bonded and registered, you are of legal adult status in the eyes of the Ministry and magical communities, so congratulations. Secondly, as far as practicing goes, no worries. I’m putting you in good hands. I happen to know another witch who had similar difficulties with her own Apparation exam. Lousy sense of direction. Failed twice before she got the hang of it. You’ll be fine.”


Ginny giggled. “Really? Well, thank you, Professor.”


“No problem, Ginny. Now, go! Celebrate. You deserve it!”


“Thanks!” Ginny replied and headed out the door leaving Nathan staring at the books in front of him.


Determinedly, Nathan picked up his quill and flipped a page in the book in front of him. He was going to find another option. He had to.


+++++


Ron had been giving them funny looks since she came back from Professor Borgin’s office, but Ginny didn’t care. As she had walked back to Gryffindor Tower, Ginny had felt a restless need deep inside to touch Harry. It wasn’t that she wanted to snog him senseless. She just needed to touch him. When she had crawled through the portrait hole, she was pulled by their bond to his side. Harry smiled at her, wove his fingers into hers and held her by his side as he laughed and joked and retold the story of hanging Malfoy out to dry for the zillionth time. A sense of calmness flowed through her. Ginny’s mind began to mull over the implications of what Borgin had told her.


As the celebration wound down, Harry tugged her over to one of the overstuffed chairs in front of the fireplace, sitting down and pulling her into his lap. Ginny leaned against him, tucking her knees under her chin, her head on his shoulder. Harry wrapped his arms around her, closed his eyes, and smiled contentedly into her hair for a minute before pulling back.


“What’s wrong?” he asked.


“Hmm?” Ginny said, her mind going fuzzy as she relaxed.


“You’re bothered by something. I can tell,” Harry said a little surprised. “The ribbons turned different colors.”


“Really?” Ginny said, feeling a little more alert and sitting up. “That’s new.”


Harry snorted. “Yeah, you could say that. So, what’s wrong?”


“Here,” Ginny replied, digging the letter she’d received from the Ministry out of her pocket. “You probably have one, too.”


Harry nodded. “I did get something this morning. Hedwig dropped it on my bed since I wasn’t at the breakfast table when she arrived. I haven’t read it yet. Can I read yours?”


Ginny nodded and rested her head on Harry’s shoulder as he read. When he was done, she explained what Professor Borgin had told her. Closing her eyes, she saw Harry’s tenseness, the ribbons tightening, changing, then relaxing as she leaned her head on his shoulder. She felt Harry take a deep breath before replying.


“Well, it doesn’t sound like we can get out of it, and getting your Apparation license is a good thing.”


“What if Professor Borgin doesn’t find another option?” Ginny worried.


“I don’t know, Gin,” Harry replied thoughtfully.


“I just wish we could help him with his research.”


“Maybe we can,” Harry shrugged. “Maybe we just have to ask.”


Ginny sat up and looked at Harry in mock surprise. “Harry Potter, are you suggesting we actually go to the library and do research? I think I have to call Hermione over and tell her this!”


“No! Don’t do that!” Harry said, catching Ginny’s hand which she’d raised partially into the air. “Ron’s finally occupied with something other than us and I’m not going to take away the thing that’s occupying him!”


Ginny giggled. “Good point,” she said, snuggling closer. “I’ll tell her tomorrow.”


Ginny smiled as she felt Harry nuzzle her neck, a warm sense of rightness filling her. Closing her eyes, she let herself drift off to the rainbow of colors dancing behind her eyelids, all melting together toward the boy who held her in his arms.



++++


A/N “ And here we go again…


Thanks to wvchemteach and to Anya “ without you, this tale would have ended long ago!


The next several chapters are under review by my beta but I can’t guarantee when I will have them back. As soon as I get them, I promise to post them!

Thanks for reading!
Essence by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.



Essence






Lewis Fielding stuck his head into Percy Weasley’s office.


“Weasley! Here “ the latest inventory reports. They somehow made it to my desk. Busy day today so I’m in no rush, but I’m sure you’ll have time to do them today, won’t you?”


“Right,” Percy said distractedly, his eyes on the parchment in his hands.


“Weasley,” Fielding said, stepping inside and knocking his knuckles on the top of Percy’s desk. “Today?”


Percy looked blankly at the Junior Assistant to the Aurors. Fielding casually leaned over his desk in an attempt to read the correspondence in Percy’s hands. Percy slapped the parchment to his chest.


“Sorry, Fielding. What was that?”


Fielding stood back and adjusted his perfectly pressed robes. Looking down his thin, pinched nose at the desktop, he reached out to straighten Percy’s nameplate.


“What are you reading, Weasley? Anything I need to take to the Aurors?” he inquired, trying to appear nonchalant.


“Uh, no,” Percy replied, the letter still wallpapered to his chest. “Just a “ a request for a meeting with the Minister. You know how visiting dignitaries get. They all want to meet the Minister.”


“Right,” Fielding replied annoyed. “Well - anyway, get me those reports today,” he ordered, rapping his knuckles once more on the desk before turning toward the door.


“I’ll get right on it,” Percy answered under his breath.


“What was that, Weasley?” Fielding asked, stopping at the door.


“Nothing, Fielding, nothing,” Percy replied, dismissing Fielding with a wave of his hands.


“Right,” Fielding repeated, shooting one last suspicious look at the parchment Percy held to his chest before heading back to his own office.


Percy exhaled. He held the parchment away from himself and reread the letter. He had almost dropped his mug of tea when the non-descript brown barn owl had tapped on his window above his kitchen table that morning. Seeing as he wasn’t on speaking terms with his family, anyone he considered an acquaintance he saw at work, and he spoke to Penelope often enough, no one ever had a reason to send him owl post. On a schedule, Percy had hurriedly untied the parchment, shoved it in the pocket of his robes and Apparated to the Ministry.


Now, sitting at his desk, Percy studied the letter. If he did what the letter asked, he would be doing something he rarely ever did. He would be admitting he had made a mistake and that simply did not sit right. Running his hand through his hair, Percy felt his heart beat increase. He suddenly felt warm, his cheeks flushing. Glancing up, he caught his reflection in the mirror hanging on the wall opposite his desk. He knew what was coming before he even heard it.


”For Merlin’s sake, Percy! Look at your head! Then look in your heart!”


The red hair and matching face - that combination could only belong to one family. As much as he had tried to distance himself from them, he had failed. He paused, feeling a spring release inside him as the tension he had held in for so long gave way to relief. He had failed. But he was willing to reconcile himself to that.


In an uncharacteristic spurt of spontaneity, Percy saluted his reflection. A small grin played around the corners of his mouth as he nodded in satisfaction. Reaching out, he pulled Fudge’s schedule toward him and picked up his wand. Flipping to the following week, Percy performed an erasing charm on an appointment. Turning forward a few weeks, Percy traded his wand for his quill and performed some magic of his own.


+++++


“You are telling me,” Lord Voldemort rasped, “that Potter and the Weasley chit should bond?”


“Yes, my lord,” Snape answered, his eyes holding steady with the Dark Lord’s.


“I fail to see why this is in my best interest,” Voldemort rasped, taking a sip of the potion Snape had brought him.


Snape’s mind blank, he watched as the potion worked its way through the Dark Lord’s system. The effect was instantaneous. Slumped and hunched over in pain when he entered, the Dark Lord seemed to inflate, his chest filling out, his shoulders straightening, his voice gaining strength.


“Borgin has been researching the Obliteration Charm his mother used on you,” Snape said, his voice void of emotion. “He has discovered the charm she performed renders you unable to bond with Miss Weasley in your present state.”


“This is not new news. I could have told you that. I have done this before, or have you forgotten?” Voldemort snapped, pushing himself out of the high backed chair he was sitting in. “But he said this was temporary.”


“I am not versed in this type of charm, my lord. Borgin believes by allowing Potter and Miss Weasley to go through with their bond, it will give you what his mother took away without needing to have an actual blood bonding ceremony with the Weasley girl.”


“How?” Voldemort barked, crossing to the window of his study. Pushing the moth eaten curtains aside, he watched the unknowing pedestrians pass by his front window.


“As you know, the manuscript Lucius Malfoy found that detailed the spell he attempted was incomplete. Borgin has the completed version in his possession. He believes the spell Lucius used can be improved on, using the bonded blood.”



“And why would I want to try this?” Voldemort sneered.


“Because having their bonded blood in your system will be as good as bonding with Miss Weasley,” Snape answered coldly. “The initial potion did not work because the blood procured from the Weasley girl was infused with hatred. That will not be the case this time,” he continued. “The blood used will be taken for the purpose of the registration. They will never know it will be used for this.”


Voldemort slowly turned from the window. “Ah yes, the Registration.”


Snape waited, listening as Voldemort breathed, his very inhaling and exhaling charging the atmosphere in the room.



“Why isn’t Borgin here telling me this himself?” Voldemort asked.


Snape’s lip curled in perverse satisfaction as he answered. “He is inept in certain areas, my lord. He is afraid he was recognized during the attack on Diagon Alley because Dumbledore has been keeping a closer watch on him.”


Voldemort shook his head in disgust. “Fool. When does he say the potion will be ready?”


“In approximately four weeks.”


“Four weeks,” Voldemort repeated. “Potter has four weeks left to live.”


“This potion will not kill Potter,” Snape commented wistfully.


“No,” the Dark Lord hissed, his face cracking into a hideous smile, “it won’t.”



++++



“Joanna? Have you seen Ginny?” Hermione asked, climbing through the portrait hole.


“She was just in the dorm. She mentioned something about going to see Harry. She had her book bag with her,” Ginny’s roommate said, looking up from her Charms essay.


“Thanks, Joanna. I’ll go see if I can find them upstairs,” Hermione smiled.


Joanna watched as Hermione headed up to the dormitory. Turning back to the common room, Joanna’s eye caught Neville’s. She swallowed, closed her open mouth and blushed furiously. Snapping her head down, she tried to focus her attention again on her essay. Unable to move, Neville simply stared at her.


Hermione knocked on the door to Harry’s dorm. “Harry? Ginny? Are you in there?”


“Yeah, Hermione, come on in,” Harry called.


Hermione pushed the door open and stepped inside. Ginny was standing to the side of Harry, her hand on his arm. Harry was shoving books into his book bag. They both turned and smiled at Hermione.


“Did you need something?” Ginny asked, sliding her hand down Harry’s arm and clasping Harry’s free hand.


Hermione’s eyes followed the movement and she smiled. Ron had been ranting for several days now about how his senses were being assaulted by Harry and Ginny’s outward shows of affection.


”Hermione! He’s holding her hand! Can’t they do that in private?”


“Hermione! Aren’t there rules against this sort of stuff? Fred and George would have never put up with this!”


“I don’t care! I’m going to take points away from my own house! If I see her kiss him on the cheek one more time or rub his shoulder or touch his arm, I’m going to be sick!”



Last night, Hermione had finally told him to shut it. She informed him that in her reading on blood bonds, one of the things that set a bond based on love apart from the others was the constant need to touch. Ron had cringed at this, and Hermione rolled her eyes, explaining it was not a romantic thing at all. The love in the bond led to the ability to provide comfort and calmness. (She didn’t admit it to Ron, but when she read it, Hermione had burst out laughing. It wasn’t that she had a hard time picturing Ginny being affectionate in public. Ginny had grown up surrounded by love. It was the thought of Harry, subconsciously and comfortably, seeking out physical contact, albeit as innocent as hand holding, that made her grin.) She told Ron it was good for Harry and Ginny. It strengthened their bond. And if his stomach bothered him, she would personally take him to see Madam Pomfrey. Or better yet, Hagrid. She was sure Hagrid had something to cure a sour stomach. Still glaring, Ron had shut his mouth.


“Professor Borgin is pacing outside the portrait hole. He asked me to come in and see if you were ready, Ginny,” Hermione said.


“Any reason he didn’t come in himself?” Ginny asked, as they moved to follow Hermione out the door.


“The Fat Lady refused to let him in. Something about needing to protect somebody’s virtue,” Hermione replied, shaking her head as she descended the steps. “Anyway, I’m sure you’ll have good luck today, Ginny,” Hermione said, at the bottom of the stairs. “Are you going with her, Harry?”


“Yeah, I thought I would. I can get some studying done, too,” Harry said, raising his shoulder that held his book bag.


“Well then, I’ll see you later,” Hermione smiled approvingly, waving to them as they climbed out of the portrait hole.


Professor Borgin stopped pacing and nodded at Harry and Ginny as the Fat Lady swung shut behind them. Ginny took in his harried appearance.


“Are you alright, Professor Borgin?” Ginny asked quietly. “You look pale.”


Nathan’s eyes rested on Ginny and he smiled. “I’m fine, Ginny, thank you,” he answered, patting her hand before she removed it. “There was a morning meeting.”


“How’d it go?” Harry asked, shifting his book bag onto his other shoulder.


“It went…,” Nathan answered. “I will tell you more once we get there. You ready?”


Harry and Ginny looked at each other and nodded simultaneously at Nathan.


“Good. Let’s go.”


The trio made their way through the corridors and down the Grand Staircase. Nathan headed toward a door off to the right, leading Harry and Ginny down the corridor to the kitchen. Nathan tickled the pear, pulled the handle and stood back to let Harry and Ginny enter the kitchen.


“This way,” Nathan said, passing them and leading them down the lengths of the long wooden tables to the end of the room.


“Where are we going?” Ginny asked.


“As you may know,” Nathan said, stopping in front of the fireplace, “there are several passageways leading from Hogwarts to various other locations.” He raised his eyebrows slightly as Ginny grinned and Harry flushed. “This one has been blocked for several years, but with the Headmaster’s permission, it has been reopened. I don’t think I need to tell you two, this is not a passageway to be shared with others.”


Nathan gave them both a meaningful look and turned. Nathan grabbed the side of the small iron pot sitting in an alcove in the side wall of the fireplace. He turned it a half turn to the left. Harry and Ginny heard a click behind the bricks in the back wall of the fireplace.


“Now, my one piece of advice for taking this passageway,” Nathan paused, his hand a centimeter from the bricks, “always check with the elves when they put the fire out.” Nathan glanced over his shoulder. One of the elves at the sink nodded his head. “Okay, right, let’s go.”


With that, Nathan pushed against the third brick to the right of the corner, six bricks up from the floor, and stood back. The back wall of the fireplace pushed in, then slid out in a silent, smooth motion, revealing a set of stairs that led down to a darkened passageway.

Lumos!” Nathan said, holding his wand up and lighting their way.


Harry and Ginny climbed down the steps and lit their wands. The smell of damp dirt surrounded them as they made their way through the passage. The passage was just tall enough for them to walk upright.


“Watch your step,” Nathan cautioned, almost tripping over a root. “This part is new. The ground isn’t worn yet.”


Holding her wand closer to the ground, Ginny followed Nathan, with Harry bringing up the rear, the smell of freshly dug dirt wafting up as her feet shuffled forward.


“Professor Borgin?” she asked, stepping over a root.


“Yes?”


“Exactly why are we taking a tunnel to Anna’s home?”


“Professor Dumbledore and myself thought it was the safest way to get you there on a regular basis. We considered the floo but it can be monitored. You can’t Apparate, for several reasons. Illegal Portkeys can be traced. I suggested we put the passageway off my office, turn one of my bookcases into a doorway. Dumbledore thought using an existing tunnel was just as effective,” Nathan stopped and looked up a set of stairs. “I would have liked the secret door behind my bookcase,” he commented wistfully.


Climbing the steps, Nathan knocked on the ceiling of the passageway. A few seconds passed before a scraping could be heard from above. Nathan shielded his eyes as light and dirt flooded the passageway.


“You know, most guests use the front door,” Anna teased as she peered down the hole.


“Yeah, but where’s the fun in that?” Nathan answered, smiling at how his heart leapt at the sight of his wife.


Anna chuckled then stepped back, motioning for the threesome to come in. “Welcome to my home, Ginny. Oh, and Harry, too. Excellent. Come on up.”


Ginny followed Professor Borgin up the steps and climbed onto the floor. Straightening, she brushed the dirt from her cloak, jeans and jumper and looked around. Judging by the desk against the far wall, she determined this must be Anna’s office. She noticed the round woven rug rolled off to the side. Once Harry had climbed out of the passageway, Anna levitated the section of floorboard back into place and rolled the rug back to cover it.


Nathan sighed.


“What?” Anna asked, brushing off her hands on her trousers.


“I’m envious,” Nathan said, looking longingly at the rug.


Anna laughed. “I know. You wanted to have the office with the secret passageway.”


“Yeah,” he answered forlornly before chuckling. “I’m sure the rumors of what was behind my bookcase would have only added to my aura of mystique with the students.”


Ginny tried to contain the giggle that threatened to escape behind her hands. Nathan raised his eyebrows at her then Harry.


Harry shrugged his shoulders. “No comment,” he said grinning.


“Smart boy, that one,” Nathan said, motioning his head toward Harry and smiling at Anna.


“Yes, I’m sure he is,” Anna said smiling at Harry, “your mother certainly was.” Turning to Ginny, Anna clasped her hands together in front of her and rocked back on her heels, her eyes twinkling with excitement. “Now, Ginny, I understand you have taken a page out of the Anna Patterson Book on Apparating.”


“Or I’m simply following in my brother Charlie’s footsteps,” Ginny commented wryly.


“You know, I don’t think she has your problem,” Nathan offered. “She can actually find her way around Hogwarts.”


Anna wrinkled her nose at Nathan. “I was only there a year. It’s not my fault. Ginny, what exactly has been happening?”


“It’s not that she can’t Apparate,” Harry spoke up, placing his hand on Ginny’s shoulder, “it’s just she seems to have problems landing in the spot she planned to.”


“Ginny,” Anna started again, “have you noticed ““


“You know,” Nathan said, rubbing his chin, “perhaps it was the wards around the cottage? Maybe that threw things off?”


“No,” Harry shook is head, “I don’t think so. I mean, no one else had a problem.”


“Good point,” Nathan said, nodding in agreement. “So, if it wasn’t that, I wonder what it was?”


“Perhaps it was the teachers?” Anna interjected, smiling apologetically at Ginny. Placing one hand on her hip, Anna pointed with the other one toward the sitting room. “Why don’t you two go in there and Ginny and I will have a talk. We’re two bright witches. I’m sure between us, we can figure out what’s going on. And if we need your help, you’re right across the hall. Is that alright with you, Ginny?”


Ginny nodded, grinning at Harry and Nathan who stood there looking slightly put out at being left out.


“That’s fine with me,” Ginny said, placing her hand over Harry’s.


“Harry, I see you have brought some books “ no doubt, Nathan had something to do with that,” Anna commented, walking over to her office door.


“I did not!” Nathan replied indignantly.


“Honestly, it was my idea,” Harry said, giving Ginny’s hand a squeeze before following Anna.


Nathan’s eye caught the gesture and he smiled. His mother had mentioned this.


“Come on,” Anna said, standing to the side to let Harry and Nathan pass, “I’ll set you up with some tea. Nathan, did you bring anything to do?”


“No. But I can be nosey and check out your bookshelves,” he answered over his shoulder, as he headed into the sitting room.


I have a few other things you could check out, too, Anna thought as she followed, almost tripping over Harry who had stumbled on the hall rug. Catching herself, she looked at Harry’s flaming red face.


“Did I say that out loud?” Anna said blushing.


“Uh, no, I don’t think you did,” Harry said, surprised.


Anna put her hands on her hips and titled her head to the side, studying Harry, a knowing light dawning in her eyes.


“Well, there goes my credibility,” Anna sighed grinning. “Make yourself comfortable, Harry. I’ll be right back.”


Harry entered the sitting room and grinned at Professor Borgin’s back. Nathan turned from the bookshelf, holding an open volume in his hand.


"What?” he asked.


Falling into a chair, Harry just laughed.


+++++


Ginny circled Anna’s office, her hands clasped behind her back, her eyes studying the contents of the shelves, the mementos on the table, the instruments on the desk. She stood in front of Anna’s desk, watching the instruments sitting on it whiz and whirl, turn and twirl. Each one was highly polished and in good working condition. She turned, her eyes falling on the shelves that ran along one wall filled with rolls of parchment tied with ribbons sandwiched in between artifacts she could only assume had been brought out of the depths of the tombs Anna had worked in.


Opposite the shelves, against the wall sat two high backed chairs separated by a copper top table. In the middle of the table was a vase filled with fall blooms. Beside the vase sat a frame holding a black and white photo. Curious, Ginny walked over to the table and bent over. The photo showed a young Nathan with his arm around Anna, both smiling broadly, waving at the person holding the camera.


Ginny stood up straight and swallowed against the lump forming in her throat. This room was Anna’s sanctuary. Catarina had had a sanctuary, too. Blinking at the tears, Ginny turned to sit down in one of the chairs, her hands clasped between her knees, her eyes roaming the room. She sniffled. She so wished she could have told Catarina it worked. She had done it. She and Harry were bonded.


“Ah!” Anna exclaimed, as cream sloshed out of the little pitcher she had clasped between two mugs of steaming tea in her hands.


“Oh,” Ginny said, standing up and wiping at the corners of her eyes, “let me help. Here,” she said, taking a mug and the pitcher.


“Thank you,” Anna said, wiping her hands on her trousers. “I know I should have used a tray but to be honest, they’re still packed.”


“That’s alright,” Ginny said sitting down.


Anna sat down opposite and reached for the cream, her eyes meeting Ginny’s. Noticing their redness, Anna looked back at her mug and took a deep breath. Deliberately, she poured cream into her mug and tried to think of something to say. Replacing the pitcher on the table, she settled on the obvious.


“Are you alright, Ginny?” she asked quietly.


From behind her mug, Ginny nodded. “It’s just funny,” she said smiling sadly, “your office reminded me of “ of Catarina’s, Professor Borgin’s mum’s office. I was just thinking I would have liked to been able to tell her everything worked.”


Anna smiled softly. “I’m sorry I never had a chance to meet her. From what Nathan told me about her, she was a fascinating woman. And I’m sure she was thrilled to have the opportunity to teach you.”


“That’s what Professor Borgin said,” Ginny said, her eyes downcast.


“You know, Ginny, if you truly want to honor her memory, you yourself will teach someone what she taught you one day, perhaps your own daughter.” Anna smiled at the blush creeping up Ginny’s neck and into her cheeks.


Ginny’s eyes traveled to the picture on the table. “When was that taken?” she asked, nodding toward the photo.


“Oh,” Anna said, setting her mug down and picking up the picture. Smiling, she ran her finger over the surface. “That was taken on our wedding day. We eloped and were married in a little chapel in New Zealand. January 6th. Beautiful day “ sunny, warm. I was young “ heavens, only nineteen, but I was convinced I was the luckiest bride alive.”


“Didn’t you meet Professor Borgin in school?” Ginny asked, trying to place the timeline.


“Yes, my one year at Hogwarts,” Anna said, gently placing the photo down on the tabletop once more. “I was a fourth year; it was Nathan’s seventh. At the end of the school year, my parents packed us up and off we went again. I lost track of Nathan for several years. My parents tagged along when my job at Gringotts sent me to South America. I worked with a group of wizards attempting to determine if a rash of diseases running through an excavation camp was Muggle or Magical. Nathan had been called in as an expert. Even at that young of an age, he was highly regarded in the field. I was a junior curse breaker which basically meant I fetched tea and crumpets for the Gringotts team. And one day, I fetched tea for Nathan,” Anna sighed, her eyes unfocused, lost in years past.


Ginny smiled at Anna’s dreamy expression from behind her mug.


Anna sighed. “Then, I listened to my parents. Ah well,” she said, patting her hands on her knees and looking at Ginny. “Now, though, I understand we need to teach you to Apparate properly.”


“If you can,” Ginny sighed.


“Ginny,” Anna said, leaning over conspiratorially, “I failed my Apparation test twice in two different languages in two different countries. And I’m willing to bet your sense of direction isn’t an issue.”


“No, I can find my way around,” Ginny answered, her brow furrowed. “But, Anna, I do have a question.”


“Hmm?” Anna said, sipping her tea.


“How do you become a tomb raider if you keep getting lost?” Ginny asked, trying not to laugh.


“I have two golden rules for that,” Anna said, setting her mug down. “First, always carry a map or create one as you go. Secondly, never volunteer to lead the expedition if you can help it.”


“Good advice,” Ginny commented.


“Especially for us directionally challenged folk,” Anna agreed smiling. “Alright, let’s get started. If we have time, I found a new hex the last time I was in Buenos Aries. It’s called a Skin Crawler. Feels like millions of insects have been let loose inside you and are trying to dig their way out of your skin. It was used by the ancients to torture prisoners. They would throw the accused in a room made of stone with a small opening, cast the hex then close the hole, leaving the hexed individual to - well, let’s just say, the first thirty seconds is like a bad rash and after that, it’s just not pleasant. I was thinking you might like to take a look at it, especially if you’re going into the field.”


Ginny sat up eagerly and grinned widely. “I’d love that!”


+++++


In the end, the only reason Anna could come up for Ginny’s troubles with Apparating was too much, too soon. And even then, Anna was not totally convinced that was why Ginny had struggled with it over the summer. But by the end of the afternoon watching Ginny pop from the office to the kitchen then back again, Anna could make two conclusions with the utmost certainty. The first: Ginny Weasley had found her focus and would have no problem with her exam.


After seeing how quickly Ginny picked up the nuances to the Skin Crawling hex, Anna drew the second conclusion. She pitied anyone on the receiving end of a hex thrown by Ginny Weasley. Making sure Harry and Nathan were busy, Anna and Ginny had snuck into the back garden. Ginny targeted a poor unsuspecting garden gnome. Once hexed, the gnome had spun around in circles, trying to scratch off his irritated skin all at once, screaming in frustration. After thirty seconds, Ginny lifted the hex. Anna laughed as the gnome bolted from the garden.


“Armed with that,” Ginny said, eyes sparkling, “I might actually volunteer to de-gnome my mum’s garden!”


“It is effective, that’s for sure!” Anna agreed, laughing. “Now, I bet you’re hungry.”


“Starving,” Ginny said, her hand resting on her grumbling stomach.


“How about I make some sandwiches and feed the lot of us before I send you back to school? We can talk about the next steps over food.”


“Sounds wonderful,” Ginny agreed.


Heading back into the cottage, Anna ducked her head into the sitting room. Nathan was stretched out by the fireplace, a stack of books by the side of his chair. He was totally engrossed in the latest edition of, Hex Your Home: Proper Uses of Hexes in Securing Home Property. At the sight of him by her fire, Anna’s heart fluttered. If Harry hadn’t been sitting in the chair opposite, cursing under his breath over a Potions essay on why Glisteening Inky Cap was a better choice than Scaly Sawgill in hypnotic potions, she would have liked to “


Anna suddenly stopped that train of thought as her eyes landed on Harry whose face had suddenly pinkened. As his head leaned forward further and his quill began to move faster, Anna looked back at Ginny.


“Yes?” Ginny asked, coming to stand beside her in the doorway.


“You didn’t hear anything?” Anna asked, her cheeks warming.


“No. Did you say something?”


“No, no,” Anna said, grinning, catching Harry’s eye and winking at him. “Go, sit. You’ve earned a break. I’ll call you all when it’s ready.”


Humming, Anna headed across the hall to the kitchen.


+++++



“So, Ginny,” Anna said, picking up her glass of pumpkin juice and taking a sip, “if it works with your schedule, I think we should try again next Sunday. If the wards are in place, you shouldn’t have any problem Apparating from here to, say, the Shrieking Shack. If you manage that, you’ll be just fine.”


“Really?” Ginny said, smiling at Anna.


“Brilliant!” Harry commented, squeezing Ginny’s hand.


“I’ll make sure the wards are in place,” Nathan said, wiping his mouth with his napkin and leaning back in his chair, patting his stomach satisfactorily.


“Seconds?” Anna asked, pushing the plate of tarts toward him.


“Oh,” Nathan said, eyeing the lemon crème one, “no, I’d better not. Gives me a reason to come back.”


“Well, as long as there’s a reason,” Anna replied dryly.


“There are several,” Nathan said, leaning forward and propping his elbows on the table. Holding his hands up, he counted them off. “First, your lemon crème tarts. I remember your profiteroles are to die for, with or without chocolate sauce, so that’s two. You never told me what you put in your stew that gives it that “ that “ well, whatever it is, that’s three. Four ““ Nathan was cut short by a napkin flung at his head. “They say a way to a man’s heart…”


Anna chuckled before turning her attention to her guests. “Harry? Ginny? Anything else?”


“No, thank you, it was lovely,” Ginny said.


“Don’t tell Dobby, but I think your tarts would beat his, hands down,” Harry said, picking up another one.


“See?” Nathan pointed out, grinning. Anna dropped another napkin over his head.


“Tea?” Anna asked, scooting out the other side. With three nods, Anna set about making tea.


“Nathan?” Harry asked, stumbling slightly over the name. It was just odd calling a professor by his first name.


“Hmm?” Nathan asked, removing the napkin from his head.


“You said there was a meeting with Voldemort this morning?”


Anna dropped the tea canister on the cupboard, sending loose tea leaves spilling forth. “Oh, sorry, here,” Anna said, waving her wand over the mess. “I’m getting better with the name, really I am,” she said as the canister righted itself and filled back up.


“Yes,” Nathan said, turning back to the table. While the water heated, he shared his knowledge of what had happened with Harry and Ginny that morning in the Dark Lord’s study.


“If I understand this correctly,” Ginny said, taking a steaming mug from Anna, “you are going to give this potion to Voldemort?”


Nathan sighed. “I don’t want to give him anything. But I have been outvoted. Because of the registration, he will find out you bonded. Professor Snape telling him this morning about the potion made him think your bonding was a good idea “ almost as if it was his idea. He now believes this potion gives him something he wants and it requires your bonded blood to be in it.”


“Why can’t you simply give him another potion?” Ginny asked.


“Because your blood, Ginny, will bond with Harry’s blood in Voldemort. Your blood must be in it. Voldemort will know if your blood isn’t in the potion. He would feel it the minute it went into his system. With bonded blood, he will believe it is working until, well, it doesn’t. The goal is to render him incapacitated.”


“Is there any way to ensure it will work?” Anna asked quietly.


“Professor Snape is working on that,” Nathan replied, noticing the grimace cross Harry’s face. “In the meantime, I’m doing what I can to find other options. I’ve been pouring over my mother’s journal trying to determine if there is anything in there that will help us out…” Nathan’s voice trailed off as his eyes settled on Ginny.


“Ginny,” he said, leaning forward, “would you take a look at her journal? You might be able to find something in there I’m missing. She might have said something to you in your training that I wouldn’t know.”


Surprise was soon replaced by pride as Ginny nodded. “I would be very happy to, but I don’t know what I might know that you don’t.”


“Well, I’m thinking,” Nathan said, tapping his fingers on the table, “between what you’ve been reading and what my mother taught you, you might see something in there I don’t. I’ll get you a copy when we get back to the castle.” Nathan glanced at his watch. “Speaking of Hogwarts, we should get going.”


“Yes, you should,” Anna said, scooting out and carrying her mug and plate to the sink. “No, no, leave those,” Anna waved her hands at Harry and Ginny as they carried their dishes to the sink. “Nathan, I’ll get those,” she said, taking the plate from his hands and setting it to the side on the counter. Leaning down, Nathan used her close proximity as an excuse to steal a kiss from her lips. “Nathan! I thought you didn’t like kissing in front of students!”


“What students?” Nathan asked innocently.


Anna peeked around him and noticed the kitchen was empty. “What did you do to them?” she asked suspiciously.


“I told Harry I’d give Gryffindor twenty points if he and Ginny would go find something to do for ten minutes.”


“Nathan!” Anna admonished, laughing, “You didn’t!”


“No, you’re right, I didn’t,” Nathan said, wrapping his arms around her and pulling her against him. “It was only ten, but I was willing to go up to twenty if I had to.”


“And to think, I thought I was worth at least fifty,” Anna murmured against his lips as she lost herself in his embrace.



+++++



“Hey “ oh!” Ginny exclaimed several days later as the parchment she was marking notes on slid out from under her nose to be replaced by a bowl of something that smelled so delightful her stomach rumbled in response. Looking up, she smiled gratefully at Harry who sat down next to her at the table in the common room. “Thanks!”


“You weren’t at dinner,” Harry shrugged, smiling back. “Here,” he said placing a spoon next to the bowl, along with a hard roll.


“How’d you get this up here?” Ginny asked, taking a bite.


“This badge isn’t just for looks,” he said, tapping his chest where his Head Boy patch was sewn.


“Lucky me,” Ginny said gratefully, picking up the roll and tearing off a bit to soak up the stew.


“Lucky you what?” Ron said, dropping his bag on the table with a thump.


“It’s rather obvious, isn’t it?” Harry said, leaning back, putting his arm around Ginny and patting his chest with his free hand. “She has me.”


Ron turned positively green. Ginny inhaled crumbs as she started laughing, sending herself into a fit of coughing instead.


“Ginny, are you alright?” Hermione asked, her eyes traveling over Harry’s perturbed expression.


Ginny gulped for air, nodding. Weakly smiling, she swatted Harry in the stomach. “Don’t make me laugh while I’m eating!”


“It wasn’t supposed to make you laugh,” Harry grumbled.


“No, it wasn’t you,” Ginny said, reaching out for her glass of water. “You simply stated a fact. It was Ron’s expression that did it for me,” she said, taking a swallow.


“Ah,” Harry said, grinning at Ron. “See.”


“I’m going to be sick,” Ron said, plopping down in a chair.


Hermione rolled her eyes at her boyfriend and sat down in the chair next to him. “So, Ginny, why weren’t you at dinner?” she asked curiously peering over the books spread in front of her friend.


Pushing her half empty bowl aside, Ginny pulled her notes back in front of her. “Well, I’ve been looking at Catarina’s notebook on Obliteration Charms and a few of the texts Professor Borgin gave me to read about the healing part of the bond.”


“How’s that going?” Hermione asked, pulling one of the books toward her.


“Slow,” Ginny said. “It’s rather dry material to be honest.”


“But I’m sure it’s fascinating,” Hermione said, reluctantly tearing herself away from a paragraph that had drawn her in.


“Right,” Ginny said, flashing a grin at Harry.


“Have you found anything?” Ron asked.


“I don’t know,” Ginny sighed. “So far, I’ve got loads of notes but just can’t seem to put them together.”


“Do you need help?” Hermione asked eagerly.


“Sure,” Ginny said, pushing several books into Hermione’s open hands. “Knock yourself out.”


Hermione slid one of the books in front of Ron.


“Hey! What’s this for?” Ron exclaimed indignantly as he found himself looking down on a copy of Blood Bonds Made, Blood Bonds Broken: A Study. “Harry’s the one bonded, not me. Why doesn’t he get one?”


“Do I have to cover this again?” Harry grinned cheekily, patting his puffed out chest.


“Nope,” Ginny said, slapping Catarina’s journal over Harry’s hand. “You’re you. You’re bonded. You read,” she said, looking at him through her eyelashes.


“Your wish is my command,” Harry replied gallantly, taking the book from his chest. Picking up Ginny’s hand, he kissed the back of it.


“Ronald!” Hermione admonished, not even looking up from her page.


Glaring at anything but Harry and Ginny, Ron clamped his mouth shut.


+++++


“That doesn’t look like it has anything to do with Obliteration Charms,” Harry commented, sitting down next to Ginny on the overstuffed couch in front of the fire in the Common room a week later.


“You’re right,” Ginny said, yawning widely. “Oh, pardon me. I had to take a break and read something that wasn’t quite so technical. After a while, the thoughts, the words “ they all blend together and start swimming in front of my eyes.”


Harry snorted into her hair. “That’s reassuring, Gin.”


Ginny giggled. “Yeah, I know.”


“So what were you reading?”


“A book Anna lent me this past weekend.”


“More hexes?” Harry asked, looking over her head to get a glimpse at the title.


“Yeah,” Ginny said, turning it so he could see.


Domesticus Diraorum?” Harry read skeptically. “This is light reading?”


“Read the translation underneath,” Ginny said.


“Family Curses!” Harry read, feigning shock. “Your family’s cursed? Oh, Gin, I wish you had told me before we started going out. That puts a whole new twist on things.”


“Funny, Potter,” Ginny commented dryly. “No, past the red hair, we Weasleys are in the clear. This book,” she said tapping the cover and smiling slyly up at Harry, “is a ‘how to guide’ for placing curses or hexes on family members. The blood ties of family members make certain curses react differently depending on how they are performed.”


“React differently?” Harry asked, his eyes watching Ginny’s fingers spread out on his chest.


“According to the book, if done right, my brothers don’t stand a chance,” she purred. Harry’s breath caught in the back of this throat at the sound. He liked that sound.


“Just out of curiosity, what does it mean for blood bonds?” Harry asked, brushing Ginny’s hair to the side and leaning down to place soft kisses on the exposed skin.


“Too much love, there,” Ginny sighed, as the shivers ran up and down her body. Turning, she nudged Harry’s legs onto the couch and stretched along side him, her legs intertwining with his, her hands in his hair, her breathing erratic, warm and soft on Harry’s skin as his kisses continued.


“The hexes wouldn’t work,” she breathed against Harry’s lips as they found hers.


As the sensations washed over her, Ginny lost herself in the light behind her eyes. She drowned willingly in the waves of love cascading over her, swallowing her up and sweeping her away. The ribbons behind her eyes shimmered brilliantly, their colors deepening as they wove stronger and deeper with Harry’s.


Ginny’s eyes flew open. She pulled away from Harry, scrambling up into a sitting position, her face pale, her hands covering her mouth, her eyes staring wildly at Harry who was looking horribly confused.


“Gin?” Harry asked, clearing his throat, trying to gain control of his breathing. “What happened? What’s wrong?”


Ginny tore her gaze from Harry’s face and stood up abruptly. Looking down at her feet, she sat right back down and grabbed her book bag.


“Ginny!” Harry demanded, annoyed and put out by the sudden change in direction.


“Harry! I think I figured something out!” she exclaimed, digging in her bag and triumphantly pulling out Catarina’s journal.


“Please tell me you weren’t thinking about that when I was kissing you,” Harry grumbled.


“No, I wasn’t. Honest!” Ginny said excitedly. “Really! When I was kissing you, I kept seeing the bond “ our bond “ and how it was stronger and growing stronger and how it tied us to each other and with every kiss and every touch and every moment I’m with you how it simply ties me to you more and more and,” Ginny paused to draw a deep breath and realized Harry was still looking rather disgruntled. “Tom found her,” Ginny said, flipping pages in the journal. “She helped him. She didn’t want to, but she did, but in the end, she didn’t. Or at least I don’t think she did.”


“Ginny, I’m lost,” Harry said, running his hands through his hair.


“Here, we need to find Professor Borgin. I’ll explain then. It might be nothing, but if it’s something, it might really be something!” Ginny said, standing up, grabbing Harry’s hand and pulling him toward the portrait hole.



“Hang on,” Harry said, pulling his hand away. “I’ll be right back.” Harry disappeared up the stairs to his dormitory, returning moments later with his Invisibility Cloak draped over one arm and the Marauder’s Map in the other.



“Good thinking. Alright, let’s go,” she said, grabbing his hand and pulling him with her. “Wait, what if he’s in his pajamas? We can’t knock on his door if he’s in his pajamas!”


Harry looked down at the map and chuckled.


“What?” Ginny asked, following his gaze.


“I don’t picture Professor Borgin nicking food from the kitchens in his pajamas,” Harry said grinning. Two small dots stood side by side in the Hogwarts kitchens, one labeled N. Borgin, the other labeled A. Borgin.


“Well,” Ginny said, smiling widely. “I’m guessing I’m not the only one using that passageway in Anna’s office. Come on, let’s go.”


Harry and Ginny made their way quietly through the deserted corridors, ducking underneath the invisibility cloak on the second floor to avoid Peeves who was floating nonchalantly above them, arms full of what looked like Veiled Polypore Spores from the greenhouses.


“What’s he got?” Harry whispered.


“We’ll ask Neville later,” Ginny whispered back. “He’s gone, let’s go.”


Quietly, they made their way down the Grand Staircase, through the door off to the right, and down the corridor. Ginny reached out and tickled the pear which transformed into the door handle. With a pull, the picture of the fruit bowl swung open. All eyes turned toward them as they entered the kitchens. Nathan and Anna, who were seated at one of the long tables, pulled apart from each other. Harry grinned to see Nathan’s face go slightly pink. The house elves waited expectantly by the fireplace, ready to happily fulfill any wish or desire of the newest visitors. Anna smiled widely and jabbed Nathan in the ribs.


“See,” she said, winking at Ginny, “I told you it was customary to bring your best girl to the kitchens for a romantic midnight snack.”


“Yes, but I don’t think most dates start by sneaking into the castle in the first place,” Nathan said dryly. “Good evening, Harry. Ginny. Is everything alright?”


Ginny clasped her hands in front of her and stepped up to the table across from Anna and Nathan.


“Professor Borgin, Anna, I’m really sorry to bother you, but I was kissing Harry and I think I figured out what your mother did to Tom,” Ginny explained in a rush.


Amused, Nathan glanced at Harry who was looking somewhat disgruntled by Ginny’s explanation. “Harry, you’re going to have to work on that,” he teased.


“Oh!” Ginny flushed, as Harry rolled his eyes. “It wasn’t quite like that. Alright, yes it was, but when I was kissing Harry I was dazzled by the colors and the ribbons and got to thinking about the bond and ““


Anna chuckled as Harry’s expression brightened and motioned to the bench across from them. “Have a seat. Want some hot chocolate? Biscuit?” she asked, pushing a plate filled with cut out sugar biscuits toward them.


Harry sat, a mug of steaming goodness appearing in front of him. Ginny stayed standing, her hands clasped. She smiled distractedly at the house elf who placed a mug for her beside Harry’s and patted the bench next to him.


“Thanks,” Ginny said, shaking her head, “but I’m too jumpy to sit.”


The house elf nodded and backed away as Ginny began to pace along the table, the fire in the giant fireplace flickering warmly, giving the kitchen a soft, cozy glow. Nathan, Anna and Harry’s eyes followed Ginny as she wore a path on the floor.


“So, Ginny, taking care to leave out any unnecessary snogging details, why are you here?” Nathan asked.


Ginny stopped pacing, opened her mouth and closed it again. Her cheeks warmed as doubt crept into her thoughts. She had been so sure. Now it just seemed foolish and rash. Her uncertain glance met Harry’s. Harry reached out and touched his fingers to the tips of hers. Ginny relaxed, a sense of calmness permeating up from Harry’s hand. Taking a deep breath, she resumed pacing, her hands waving as she spoke.


“So, our bond is like a woven fabric, right? Well, Harry’s and my bond keeps getting stronger. I can see it every time I close my eyes. I can feel it in me,” she said emphatically, her palm over her heart. “If I’m to help Harry, the first thing I need to do is make that bond as strong as possible - to make it as unbreakable as I possibly can. If something were to happen to that bond, it would be excruciating. Those ties are so deep within me - within us - that if something were to damage or break that bond, it would be like ripping out my insides.”


Harry watched Ginny pace up and down, talking about this magic they shared, his heart swelling. He had no words to express how much he loved her.


“Now, I can’t physically bond with Vol “ Voldemort in a ceremony like I did with Harry. But it’s my understanding that should my blood flow within Tom, it’s as good as bonding with him because I’ve bonded with Harry. I know,” Ginny said, glancing at Harry who was rubbing his eyes as he tried to follow, “I’m going around in circles. Look, Catarina bonded with Tom’s blood. Tom’s blood is what carried their bond and what formed the ribbons that tied them to each other.


“The ribbons of the bond are our blood. Our blood is physical. It is tangible. It is matter. It isn’t essence. It’s not our being. It’s not who we are. Who we are is tied up in love “ in this,” Ginny said, knocking on her heart.


“Professor Borgin,” she said, her eyes pleading for understanding, “when Tom came to Catarina after he did that to Harry,” Ginny’s voice cracked slightly as she pointed to Harry’s forehead, “he wasn’t whole. He wasn’t Tom. The person Catarina bonded to wasn’t there any more, only part of him was.


“In a bond based on more than simply the pull,” Ginny said, dropping to the bench beside Harry, exhausted, “a Mediator would do more - so much more. The part which you cannot touch, the part in here,” Ginny hit her chest once more, “I would do whatever it took to heal that,” she said, looking deep into Harry’s eyes. “Catarina didn’t. She didn’t heal that part,” Ginny continued, meeting Nathan’s gaze. “She couldn’t, because it didn’t exist between them. I think your mother did what she had to do to survive. She healed Tom’s blood by binding what was left of Tom to a physical form because that is all she was required to do by her bond, just the physical part.” she finished quietly, deflating into Harry.


Silence settled over the kitchen table as the words sunk in, twisting and turning, forming their own woven fabric. Nathan’s mind raced as he put the pieces together. Slowly, he deliberately set his mug on the table. He rubbed his palms on the legs of his trousers and stood up. It was his turn to pace.


“When my mother died,” Nathan contemplated, his eyes on his shoes as they walked a length of bench, turned, and walked back, “she broke the bond to his blood. His blood is physical. His blood is what ties him to his physical form,” Nathan swallowed and met Harry and Ginny’s eyes. “My mother protected those ties with her bond. He is no longer protected by her. He is vulnerable.”


“But it’s not enough,” Anna said, shaking her head. “It’s the physical, but not the essence. It’s not what flows in the blood. That is what makes us who we are.”


“But it’s a start,” Nathan said, nodding. “If the bond is gone, there is no blood protection. If we can determine a way to separate the physical from the, well, spiritual…” Nathan’s eyes flashed wide awake, with determination. “We need to go see the Headmaster.”



++++++


“Nathan, this is sketchy at best,” Albus Dumbldore said, sitting down behind his desk, pulling the tie of his robe tight.


“But it makes sense,” Nathan said, pounding his fist on the Headmaster’s desk. “The bond is gone. There is no blood protection. If we can separate the physical from the spirit, we can destroy him, I know it.”


“Nathan, you cannot separate a physical form from a spiritual one,” Dumbeldore interrupted. “Without the spiritual form, the physical form is just an empty shell…” the headmaster said slowly, his brow furrowing as the thoughts came together.


“Let me try,” Nathan pleaded. “Give us some time,” Nathan said, motioning at Anna, Harry and Ginny who stood behind him. “We can figure this out. Albus,” Nathan said, placing his hands palm down on the Headmaster’s desk and leaning forward. “This is our other option. The Order doesn’t have to use the blood. We don’t have to run the risk of the potion.”


Dumbledore tented his hands, touching his fingertips to his nose, contemplating Nathan’s argument. “That is a decision for the Order to make, Nathan.”


“No, sir, I think it’s a decision for us to make,” Harry spoke, stepping forward. “It is our blood. It is Ginny’s and my bond. It is our decision.”


Dumbledore met Harry’s gaze and inhaled, his kerchief bobbing as his head moved. “Yes, I suppose you are right,” Dumbledore replied, nodding. “I will inform The Order. We will need to think of what to tell Tom.”


“Thank you, sir,” Nathan said, clapping his hands together. “Thank you,” he repeated as he turned to face Harry and Ginny. “Alright, off to bed. We will talk in the morning.”


Albus Dumbledore watched the foursome leave, his eyes clouded with mixed emotions. Stealing himself against his heart, Albus waved his hand and a fire appeared in his fireplace.


“Severus.”


+++++++




Lucius threw back his head, relishing the burning sensation of the hundred year old Single Malt Devil Snare scotch as it coursed down his throat. He closed his eyes, his insides warming from the alcohol, his outsides from the fire burning in front of him. Lucius’ hands pressed against the glass that was now empty, the cut crystal imprinting his skin. His nostrils flared. His knuckles turned white. His breathing became erratic. With a sudden jerk, Malfoy threw his arm back and then flung it forward, releasing the tumbler. He opened his eyes to watch the crystal shatter, the fire spitting as the alcohol hit the wood.


That’s what he wanted to do to Borgin.


Borgin.


Malfoy slammed his fist down on the table next to him. He had had enough of that two sided pure blood excuse of a wizard. And now, it wasn’t only Borgin. It was that excuse of a Death Eater Potions Master Snape, too.


Taking his place.


Taking his rightful place as the Dark Lord’s most trusted advisor.


How dare they.


How dare they suggest something to the Dark Lord without telling him first? He had felt like an idiot when Voldemort had told him. And Voldemort had been happy about it.


Well, he knew their dirty little secrets. He could easily have them killed for what they were doing. They weren’t true. They weren’t loyal. They weren’t the kind of servants the Dark Lord deserved.


No, Lord Voldemort deserved someone who could deliver to him the one thing standing in his way.


And he, Lucius Malfoy, could do that.


He would do that.



+++++




A/N “ To wvchemteach & Anya “ my many thanks for your patience, ideas and thoughts.
Insurance by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.




Insurance





Joanna Blevins groaned as she fell into the chair next to Ginny’s, dropping her book bag on the floor with a thud and hiding her flaming face in the crook of her elbow on the table. Sighing heavily, she waited for a response. She heard a page turn. She heard a quill tap on the side of an ink bottle then scratch on some parchment. Noisily, she sighed again. She heard another book land on the table. Annoyed, Joanna lifted her head.


“Ginny! I’m trying to be dramatic here and you’re not paying attention!”


“Sorry, Joanna,” Ginny replied distractedly, her attention focused on the book in front of her.


“Ginny, you’re failing miserably at the role of sympathetic friend. You’re supposed to be asking, ‘What’s wrong, Joanna? Did something happen, Joanna? What do you mean you ruined all chances of ever making a decent impression on the man of your dreams, Joanna?’” Joanna propped her cheek against her hand.


“Mmm,” Ginny murmured, making another notation on the parchment.


“Ginny, I can’t imagine why you think your Potions homework or Charms essay or whatever you are working on right now could be more important than listening to how your dear dorm mate and friend just made an absolute fool of herself in front of the boy she would like most to kiss her from head to toe.”


Eyes wide, Ginny stopped writing and turned to Joanna. “Do tell,” she grinned.


“Oh, fine, now you want to pay attention just so you can rib me about it later.”


“Of course not,” Ginny replied, setting down her quill. “I’m going to rib you now. Spill.”


“At least you’re honest,” Joanna snorted, sitting up straighter. “I was in the greenhouse working with the Veiled Polypore Spores we were studying in Herbology yesterday. Professor Sprout was feeling ill so she had Neville help out with the extra session,” Joanna sighed as clouds crossed her eyes. “Anyway, Neville came by our table and asked if I had any questions.”


Joanna crossed her arms on the table once more and hid her face from view. As Ginny leaned forward to catch what Joanna was mumbling, she noticed the fine layer of pink dust covering her friend, from the top of her blonde hair to the tips of her polished black shoes. Ginny bit the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing out right.


“Joanna,” Ginny whispered into her ear, “I can’t hear you. You’re going to have to speak up.”


Joanna raised her woeful gaze to Ginny’s. “He made me so nervous. My mind went blank. My mouth opened and nothing intelligible came out. I lost all motor coordination. And then I accidentally popped my spore with the pair of trimmers I was holding.”


“What happened to Neville?” Ginny asked, fighting to contain the giggles.


“Oh,” Joanna said, her voice unnaturally high even for a girl, “Madam Pomfrey says the pink skin tone will wear off in a week or so. In the meantime, he should avoid direct sunlight and not wear red.” Joanna’s embarrassment gave way to giggles. “Oh, Ginny,” she gasped, wiping at the tears seeping from her eyes, “I’ve passed him in the common room for six years. Six years! How come, all of a sudden, my hormones decide to go batty for Neville Longbottom?”


“Well,” Ginny said, smiling broadly, “what did Neville do once he was pink from head to toe?”


“He smiled at me,” Joanna sighed, “and I was right back at blathering idiot stage all over again.”


“See, that’s why,” Ginny said. “The world needs more blathering idiots.”


“Takes one to know one,” Joanna replied dryly.


“Yeah,” Ginny grinned good naturedly. “Misery loves company.”


“And what good company it is,” Joanna said, reaching down and pulling a book out of her bag.


++++++


The day before the registration, Snape stood in the Dark Lord’s study.


“It is untested, my lord,” he said, handing a small vial filled with a clear reddish brown liquid to the Dark Lord.


“What do you mean, ‘untested’?” Lord Voldemort hissed, holding the vial up to the firelight to examine it.


“I mean there is no record of this potion being used before, my lord,” Snape replied evenly. “The spell is one of Borgin’s.” Snape didn’t even try to hide the disgust in his voice.


“Borgin has not proven to be the most trustworthy of supporters, my lord,” Lucius Malfoy said, his eyes focused on the vial.


“Borgin knows what will happen if he betrays me,” Voldemort hissed, bringing the potion to his lips.


Snape’s black eyes held no emotion as he watched the Dark Lord swallow the last drop, close his eyes and exhale. Snape knew what would come next and he nodded as it unfolded before his eyes. The Dark Lord smiled, feeling his blood warm to the mixture of bonded blood flowing within him. His eyes opened, triumph shining in them as he felt strength flood through him. Pain disappeared as power returned.


Voldemort faced Lucius and Snape who stood side by side in front of the closed drapes. His mouth widened, his lips opened and he laughed the laugh of the healed. The icy, nerve chilling sound spread throughout the study, swelling in volume as the Dark Lord celebrated. Snape watched and waited.


As readily as the cackling started, it stopped in a gasp. Voldemort’s eyes widened and the vial fell to the floor as his hands clutched his throat. He choked on the air. He blinked, agony filling his eyes. His chest heaved as he drew in a great raspy breath and screamed.


Lucius clapped his hands over his ears as the deafening sound pierced his eardrums. Malfoy stood in shock, his mouth open, his eyes wide, the blood draining out of his already pale face as he watched his master fall to the floor, writhing in agony. He looked desperately at Snape who was standing there, his features a composed look of concern.


“NO!” Voldemort rasped, clawing at his arms, raking his nails over his face.


Lucius whipped open the drapes to get a better look at his master. Morning sunlight flooded the stale atmosphere of the study.


“SHUT THOSE!” Voldemort screamed, as his hands flew to his eyes. “WHAT DID YOU GIVE ME?” he gasped, spasms wracking his body.


“It was the potion, my lord,” Snape said. “The one Borgin ““


“DO NOT BLAME BORGIN FOR YOUR MISTAKES!” Voldemort shrieked, raising his wand. His scaly hand shook violently as the blood in his veins curdled with the hatred that had been unmasked in the blood. “CRUCIO!


Green light flashed from the tip of Voldemort’s wand, but the curse lacked strength. The pain that shot through Snape’s body caused him to gasp but he remained standing, his eyes fixed on the Dark Lord. Voldemort’s breath was ragged, his eyes raged with pain as his chest heaved. He tried to push himself off the floor but his arms gave out. Lucius knelt beside him, hooked his arms under the Dark Lord’s and heaved him into a chair.


“My lord, it wasn’t me,” Snape stated, his voice cold and calculating. “It was Borgin’s spell. He gave it to me. He knew what it would do.”


“I don’t want to hear your excuses,” Voldemort hissed, his head sinking back into the chair. “Get out.”


Snape pursed his lips. He nodded at the Dark Lord and exited the room without another word, closing the study door behind him.


“My lord,” Lucius said, his hands clasped together. “My lord, I am your faithful servant.”


“Then how could you let them do this to me?” Voldemort wheezed.


“I didn’t know, my lord, ” Lucius answered, carefully calculating his answers. “I am not an expert in Ancient Magic. I have very little knowledge on the subject. Like yourself, I have had to rely on Borgin and what he has told us.”


The silence between master and servant was broken only by Voldemort’s struggle to breath beyond the pain. This encouraged Lucius to continue.


“Borgin was familiar with the Immortality Spell but did not try to stop us. He only came forward after,” Lucius mused out loud, pausing to let the words sink in. “He led us to his mother, yes, but he never told us about the possibility of her doing you damage.”


Lucius knelt in front of his master, his eyes on the floor.


“My lord, it does make me wonder what else he has been holding back from you,” he said quietly.


Lucius felt Voledmort’s body go still.


“What do you mean, Lucius?” Voldemort asked coldly.


“My lord, I am only saying perhaps he has found out something about his mother - perhaps he knows more than he is letting on. If he does, that knowledge might be something he doesn’t want you to know. And to keep you from finding out, he might try to harm you.”


Lucius slowly reached across the rug and picked up the empty vial. He held it up and met the Dark Lord’s gaze.


“He is a fool, then,” Voldemort hissed, his eyes opening and meeting Lucius’. “The potion - the potion today. It had her blood in it. I could feel it.”


“Are you sure it was the right potion, my lord?”


“It doesn’t matter,” Voldemort hissed, his face cracking into a weak smile of satisfaction. “He failed. He did not kill me. And now I have her blood in me. That means I am protected. That means she can heal me.”


Lucius stood up and stepped back from his master’s chair. He nodded as his mind raced. His lips cracked into a triumphant sneer.


“I will bring them to you, my lord,” Malfoy whispered. “I am your faithful servant.”




+++++



“WEASLEY!”


“Yes, Minister,” Percy called breathlessly, dropping an armful of parchment on his desk and rushing to the door of Fudge’s office.


“Where are my notes, Weasley? They were right here. I can’t give my speech without the notes!” Cornelius Fudge fretted as he shuffled papers to and fro in search of his lost speech.


“Here, sir,” Percy said, picking up a roll of parchment tied with a forest green ribbon that had been charmed to have a moving message on it reading, Registration Day Speech.


“Oh, very good, Weasley,” Fudge said, accepting the roll and clutching it in his hands. “Is The Daily Prophet here?”


“Yes, sir,” Percy sighed. He squelched his feeling of frustration with the knowledge that his role today was bigger than the Minister of Magic would ever realize. “I have set them up in the hall off the main lobby as you requested. They were enjoying the refreshments when I checked on them last.”


“Good, good. And Potter? And Miss Weas - well, now, it’s a relation, isn’t it? I hadn’t made the connection until just now,” Fudge said approaching the lifts and pressing the button.


“Yes, it is Ginny,” Percy replied as he allowed a small smile of pride to breakthrough. Over the past few weeks, Percy had gained a new respect for his sister. Any guilt he had had about moving the Registration later in November had been erased as he learned about who his sister had become. “They are scheduled to arrive at the top of the hour,” Percy replied, patting his pockets. “Sir, I forgot something,” he exclaimed, stopping and turning. “I’ll be right back.”


“Hurry up, then. I’ll hold the lift,” Fudge said, stepping inside.


Rushing back to his desk, Percy frantically shuffled the rolls of parchment aside to uncover a simple gold pocket watch. Percy glanced at it quickly. He could have sworn the one Dumbledore sent him had a small gold knob in the middle of the front cover. He must have been mistaken. Grabbing the watch, Percy shoved it in his pocket and hurried back to the lifts.


+++++


Ginny took a step closer to Harry. He squeezed her hand reassuringly. She shot him a small smile before returning her attention to the Ministry witch who was circling them. Ginny knew she should be soaking up every minute detail of the Department of Mysteries because Hermione was going to grill her on it when they returned. Instead, she found herself staring at the witch who hadn’t stopped looking them up and down since she had met them by the Fountain of Magical Brethren.


The witch had introduced herself as, “Stella Boggins, Records and Recordings Specialist, Department of Mysteries.” Ginny had had the absurd desire to salute her but settled on a nervous smile and a handshake instead. Patting her perfectly coiffed graying hair, Stella had explained to them the first part of the registration was logging in the blood “ they had brought the blood, hadn’t they? Nathan pulled the vial out of the inside of his robe pocket to show her. After the blood, they would be required to sign the registry. Following that, the Minister had arranged for a small gathering of dignitaries and press, since, after all, the registration of a Mediator was a rather big deal.


Newly minted apparition license in her pocket, Ginny took the quill Stella offered her. She felt Harry squeeze her hand before she stepped forward to sign her name in the Registration of Mediators log. Her and Harry’s signatures would be to the right of where the quill had originally recorded their names last month. Holding the tip just above the parchment, Ginny nervously glanced back at Nathan and Harry. Somehow, she had wished Professor Dumbledore or McGonagall or even her father had been able to come with them. Strength in numbers, she supposed. But Professor McGonagall had said Dumbledore had been called away on urgent business and she needed to stay at the castle in his place. Her father had received an emergency call that morning regarding a series of laundry hampers that had been charmed to grow fangs and eat anything placed inside them, including unsuspecting hands holding soiled laundry. At least there would be some friendly faces at the reception, she thought. Bill had told her he and her mum would be there, and Tonks had said she wouldn’t miss it.


“Tsk “ Miss Weasley, you need to sign,” Stella urged, as she waved her wand over the book to clear up the drop of ink that had marred the page.


“Oh, right, sorry,” Ginny answered, returning her attention to the duty at hand. Touching the quill tip to the parchment, she carefully wrote her full name. Turning, she handed the quill to Harry who stepped up and started to write. She hadn’t been able to put her finger on it, but she had woken up with a feeling that something was off. Her appetite was non-existent. She had been jumpy. She had forced herself to calm down enough to concentrate through her Apparation test. But now that she had successfully completed that, the sense that something wasn’t right had returned.


Harry handed the quill back to Stella and stepped back from the book. His hand now free, he rubbed his forehead. His scar had been prickling since they had arrived.


“Are you alright, Harry?” Ginny asked quietly.


“Yeah “ no. My scar has been bothering me since we got here. Maybe it’s just being back in the Department of Mysteries,” Harry answered quietly.


“I know what you mean,” Ginny whispered, weaving her fingers into his. “Ever since I woke up this morning, I’ve just felt that something is not quite right.”


Stella’s voice broke into their quiet conversation. “This way, please,” she instructed.


“Come on,” Harry said, “we’ll be done with this in a few minutes. Nathan said we’ll be back to Hogwarts by lunch.”


Ginny nodded and let Harry lead her out of the Department of Mysteries. In front of them, Nathan was walking beside Stella. He had successfully managed to engage her in a conversation regarding the registration process. A stickler for detail, Stella was happily explaining all the intricacies of the process as she led them to a conference room off the main lobby area.


Before entering, Nathan looked back at Harry and Ginny with an encouraging grin. “You ready?”


Ginny exhaled and met Harry’s eyes. He leaned down and whispered in her ear. She grinned and looked back at Nathan. Nathan smiled at the twinkle in those eyes. He wondered briefly if he could put that kind of sparkle in Anna’s eyes.


“Come on,” he said, motioning with his head toward the room. “Let’s go feed the wolves.”


++++


Standing to the side of the refreshment table, Ginny was glad to have been left alone for the moment. She had had enough of the questions, the photos, the curious looks and was now quite ready to go back to school. Overall, the morning had gone well, she reflected. Perhaps her feeling of unease from earlier was simply a bad case of nerves. Looking around the room, she saw Harry deep in conversation with Bill. Nathan was dealing with Fudge. From over her shoulder she noticed Percy who kept looking at his watch as if he had a schedule to keep. Caught up in people watching, she jumped at the light touch on her arm.


“Ginny?” Molly Weasley said hesitantly.


“Hello Mum,” Ginny said, smiling wearily. “Thanks for coming.”


“I wouldn’t have missed it,” Molly said smiling nervously in return. “Your father is disappointed he couldn’t have been here, too.”


Ginny nodded, and shifted her gaze to a worn patch in the rug by the toe of her left shoe. She wasn’t sure if she was on speaking terms with her mother these days. Their communication since their row before the start of term had been by owl, and even those letters had been somewhat stilted and generic in their contents.


“Ginny, I “,” Molly started, her hands twisting a handkerchief into a knotted rope, “I wanted to tell you how proud your father and I are of you.”


“Thanks, Mum,” Ginny answered.


“No, really, Ginny, I am…proud of you. It may be hard for you to understand, but ““


“I know, Mum,” Ginny interrupted, wanting to head off a potential scene.


“No, you don’t, Ginny,” Molly said, shaking her head, “at least not completely. When you become a mother you will learn what it is like to have a child walk away with your heart. You will love your child so much your heart will ache every time you look at her. You will wonder if you will ever stop wanting to cry every time she suffers a disappointment or achieves a goal. And you will discover that no matter how old or far away that child is, you will never stop loving her because that is what a mother does. Ginny, much like how you didn’t have a choice in your bond, I don’t have a choice in how much I love you.”


Ginny met her mother’s solemn gaze. She couldn’t recall her mother ever discussing her bond without disapproval.


“Ginny, a mother can’t stop herself from loving her child because there isn’t anything greater than loving a child. That is what makes the magic work - that is what gives a child her mother’s protection. And that love is so strong and powerful, it can make us all a little off balance when it comes to something that has the potential to harm our hearts,” Molly said softly before taking a deep breath.


“I know you are considered of legal age now according to the Ministry,” Molly said slowly, “but I wanted to make sure you knew there will always be a place at the Burrow for you, no matter how old you are. Harry, too.”


Ginny’s heart felt a little numb. Molly had pretty much described her bond with Harry “ an unasked for force that couldn’t be denied, growing stronger through time and love. She knew she would do anything to keep Harry safe. And for any of her brothers, Ginny knew her mother would do the same. Her heart began to ache as the understanding and appreciation for something she and mother shared - and would share again in the future - dawned on her.


Ginny felt Harry’s presence before he touched her elbow. “Ginny, I think it’s time to go,” he said quietly, smiling at Mrs. Weasley.


“Mum, are you ready?” Bill asked, stepping up beside Harry.


Molly dabbed the tears gathering at the corners of her eyes and nodded. She smiled tentatively at Ginny. Ginny bit her bottom lip before smiling slightly at her mother. Not able to hold it in any longer, Molly crushed Ginny and Harry to her.


“I love you both,” she said, into their jumpers before releasing them. “Now, be careful and we’ll see you in a couple of weeks.”


Wiping her cheeks, Molly let Bill lead her out.



+++++



“No, Fudge, we’re done.”


“But Professor, they haven’t answered any questions. The Daily Prophet - I told them they would have at least thirty minutes ““


“Then tell them their thirty minutes was eaten up during the speech you just gave. That thing lasted at least that long,” Nathan muttered under his breath, fastening the clasp of his robe and looking over the Minister’s shoulder. He lifted his finger and nodded at someone. “We need to go now. It is time to get Harry and Ginny back to school.”


“But ““


“Pardon me, Minister, but the Undersecretary of the Bulgarian Minister is in your office. He refuses to leave without an audience,” Percy Weasley said, stepping up to the group, his voice crisp and articulate.


“Weasley, can’t you tell him I’m busy? I mean, this is imp-“


“I tried, sir, but he’s most insistent.”


“Blast it,” Fudge said, seeing the reporter from The Daily Prophet descending on them. “Undersecretaries are just junior pompous windbags looking to become senior pompous windbags. Fine, Weasley, you deal with the reporter and this lot. Tell them I will be back momentarily to answer questions,” he said pointedly at Borgin. With a nod, the Minister of Magic slipped out of the door.


“I’ll be right back,” Percy intoned, before walking over and taking the reporter’s elbow in order to steer him over to the refreshment table.


Nathan glanced across the room where Harry and Ginny were talking quietly with Molly and Bill. Once the speeches were over, Tonks had hugged Harry and Ginny quickly and made her apologies about leaving so soon (”I tried to tell Mad-Eye this was special. He told me there was nothing special about dark magic getting an upper hand, stubborn old stick in the mud.”) He had noticed Molly spent the short press conference alternating anxious glances between Harry, Ginny and Percy. Bill had simply ignored Percy. After an awkward initial greeting, Nathan watched Molly engulf the two teenagers in a bone crushing hug before wiping the corners of her eyes and allowing Bill to lead her out of the room. Harry and Ginny walked back to join him just as Percy approached.


“Do you have it?” Nathan asked quietly.


“Yes, it’s right here. Dumbledore said it would activate at half past eleven which is in ten minutes.”


“Can the Undersecretary keep the Minister busy that long?’ Borgin asked.


“Most likely not, considering the Undersecretary of the Bulgarian Minister is still in Bulgaria as far as I’m aware,” Percy commented.


Ginny looked at her brother in shocked surprise. Percy caught the look. He shook his head as if to say, not now. He motioned with his head toward the open doors.


“This way,” he said quietly. “There is an empty conference room next door. It won’t look so suspicious if we go in there.”


“Wait!” Ginny said, following after Percy and Borgin. “What do you mean? Why are we following you?” Percy opened the door to the room next door. Ginny stopped right in front of him and narrowed her eyes, her sense of foreboding returning. “Why should we trust you?”


Percy met Ginny’s gaze. The indignant anger she saw flare in his eyes died as soon as it appeared, replaced with resignation. She saw the flush creep up his neck. There was something about the way he held himself that was different, as if he was uncomfortable or perhaps even unsure of himself. Ginny blinked. Percy had been many things, but he had never questioned himself in front of her.


“Ginny,” Professor Borgin called.


Her gaze not wavering from Percy’s, Ginny stepped into the room beside Harry.


“Percy?” Professor Borgin asked.


“Yes,” Percy said, letting the door slide shut behind him. He dug into his pocket and fished out the gold pocket watch. He held it out.


“What is that?” Harry asked suspiciously.


“Portkey,” Nathan answered.


“From where?” Ginny asked.


“Professor Dumbledore,” Percy answered quietly, “and it’s going to activate in a minute so here.”


The pocket watch lay flat on his palm. Ginny fixed Percy with her gaze.


“Really, Ginny, it’s a Portkey,” Percy said.


“Come on you two,” Nathan said, wanting to get Harry and Ginny out of the Ministry and back to Hogwarts as fast as he could. He had had enough of being the Ministry’s pawn to last him a lifetime. He wanted these two back where he knew they were safe. Reaching out to take the watch from Percy, Nathan’s hand bumped Harry and Ginny’s as they all moved to take the watch out of Percy’s hand.


Simultaneously, their fingers touched the watch and they felt the familiar tug behind their navels as the Portkey activated early. Moments later, they stumbled onto cobblestone. The air was still and cold and dark. They were in Knockturn Alley. But they were not the only ones in Knockturn Alley. Ginny’s eyes darted to the storefronts. Shutters were being closed. Shopkeepers were hiding. Patrons were nowhere to be seen. The sense of uneasiness that had plagued Ginny all day settled like a rock in the pit of her stomach.


Ginny whipped around to face Percy. “What did you do?” she hissed.


“I didn’t do anything!” Percy said, looking bewilderedly around at their surroundings. “Professor Dumbledore sent me a Portkey. He said it would take you back to Hogwarts. It was a watch ““


“I don’t think it was Percy,” Nathan said, straightening up, his eyes focused on movement at the mouth of the alley.


As the shadows shifted, the gloom parted to reveal Death Eaters, wands at the ready, lead by Lucius Malfoy. Malfoy didn’t hold a wand. Instead, he was casually opening and then closing the cover of a gold pocket watch with his thumb. There was a small knob on the front.


“Borgin.”


Malfoy’s voice was triumphant, his stance confident, his gaze malicious. Instinctively, Nathan shifted in front of the others.


“Malfoy,” Borgin replied calmly. “Why are we here?”


“You know why, Borgin,” Malfoy sneered. “You gave the Dark Lord poison.”


“I didn’t give the Dark Lord anything,” Borgin answered suspiciously.


“You lie, Borgin. You have lied to the Dark Lord from the beginning. The Dark Lord doesn’t like it when he’s lied to.”


“No, I suppose he doesn’t,” Borgin said. “But who is going to say I lied?”


“I am,” Malfoy replied, his eyes gleaming with hatred.


“He will kill you,” Borgin said, his eyes scanning the Death Eaters behind Malfoy, counting, calculating, strategizing.


“No, he’ll kill you first,” Malfoy answered.


“Then take me, Malfoy. Leave them out of it.”


“I can’t do that, Borgin,” Lucius answered, his eyes traveling over Harry, Ginny and Percy who all stood, wands at the ready behind Nathan. “You see, the Dark Lord wants the Weasley chit alive. Now that he is protected by her ““


“Liar!” Harry cried, pointing his wand at Malfoy. Ginny’s mouth opened in horror, her heart having dropped from her chest to the pit of her stomach.


Malfoy’s shoulders shook in cold, heartless laughter. “No, I don’t lie, Potter. He has what you have, now. Her blood “ in him.”


“That’s impossible,” Nathan argued, his mind racing, his heart praying Snape hadn’t done it - that Snape hadn’t gone ahead with the potion anyway. Dumbledore had lied to him, to them.


“Oh, no, it’s not impossible,” Malfoy leered, “quite probable, in fact. But it didn’t work quite as you planned, though, if your goal was to kill him. You see, he is still alive. And she can heal him.”


Ginny’s rage boiled over, forcing her voice out of her clenched jaw. “Never,” she growled, leveling her wand at Malfoy.


Malfoy’s voice rang out, bouncing off the storefronts, echoing through the darkness.


“You don’t have a choice, Weasley,” Malfoy sneered. “You may not be bonded to the Dark Lord, but you are now bonded to the blood that flows within him. You cannot kill that blood. You can only heal it. And you will heal it.”


Nathan caught the barely noticeable nod Malfoy gave. Malfoy pointed his wand at Ginny’s heart. Harry, Nathan and Percy bellowed simultaneously.


PROTEGO!


The shield charm deflected Malfoy’s stunning spell. Harry shoved Ginny behind a stack of crates sitting outside the door to Borgin & Burkes. Percy dove into the doorway opposite, his wand directed at the group of Death Eaters taking cover behind Malfoy.


STUPEFY!” Percy yelled as red light streamed from the end of his wand into the darkness. A scream was heard followed by a grunt and thump.


“Nice one,” Nathan said, ducking behind him.


“Thanks,” Percy breathed, turning to glance at where Harry and Ginny hid. ”WATCH OUT!” he roared.


”REDUCTO!


Ginny and Harry scrambled farther down Knockturn Alley as the blasting spell hit the crates, splinters shooting into their hair, robes and skin. Ginny tripped on the cobblestone, falling face first into the rock. She cried out as her cheekbone struck stone. A snigger came from above. Indignant anger overtook the fear within her. Turning over, Ginny jabbed her wand upward.


ATTONARE!


The stunning spell hit the hooded Death Eater in the forehead, sending him tumbling back, his head hitting the stone with a sickening thud.


Holding the back of her hand to her cheekbone to stop the throbbing, Ginny scrambled to her feet and threw herself into the doorway of a shop with a large sign in the window advertising a sale on Pogrebins just in time for the holidays. Harry grinned at Ginny and pointed to the still form of the hooded figure in front of her as he jumped over the unconscious form of a Death Eater he had disposed of. From across the alley, Ginny grinned back and mouthed ‘Anna’.


Turning back to the alley, Ginny raised her wand but not fast enough. A hurling charm caught her right in the chest, throwing her into the doorway of the shop, her body crashing through the wood frame, sending shards of glass and chunks of wood skidding across the floor. Slamming into the hard granite, she felt glass cut into her back, hands and face. Sliding on her shoulder, she screamed in pain, leaving a trail of red behind her.


“GINNY!” Harry roared, sending a bludgeoning spell back at the Death Eater who had attacked her.


The Death Eater’s hood slipped back as he shouted, “PROTEGO!


Harry recognized Mulciber from the battle in the Department of Mysteries.


Casting a shield charm of his own, Harry launched himself across the alley, diving into the dark creature shop Ginny had landed in moments before. His chest heaving, Harry scrambled to his feet, glass biting into the palms of his hands. He swallowed the lump of fear forming in his throat as he looked at the floor. “Ginny!” he yelled, his eyes following the smear of blood.


“Back here,” Ginny choked from behind a stack of crates. Peering around the side, she aimed her wand. “DUCK!” she yelled before sending a pummeling curse at Mulciber in the doorway.


Mulciber dove to the side behind a giant cage filled with humongous spiders crawling all over each other, struggling to be the one on top. Mulciber threw his arm around the side of the cage and screamed.


REDUCTO!”.


The crates Ginny and Harry were hiding behind exploded, wooden slats shooting in every direction. Harry fell over as Ginny wrenched his arm back.


“Back here!” she hissed, one arm glued to her side, urgently pulling him behind the counter with the other. “Those are Villogors,” she panted, nodding at the grey green hairy creatures about the size of a Quaffle spewing forth from the broken crates. “You don’t want to be around them. They’re fur with fangs “ poisonous fangs.”


REDUCTO!


Mulciber’s blasting spell hit the counter they were hiding behind, smashing it to sawdust. Through the floating debris, Harry saw the Death Eater stand up and walk around the spider cage to get a better aim. Harry flung out his arm and cried, “EXTUNDO!


Wood, glass and fur balls with fangs flew at the Death Eater who tried desperately to shield himself from the barrage. He flailed, falling back onto the cage. As the spindly, black pincers shot through the cage bars, thoughts of another large spider flashed through Harry’s mind. Pinned to the top of the cage by spider legs, covered with squealing, munching fur balls, Mulciber’s legs shot out straight, shook with a spasm, and then fell downward, lifeless.



Harry’s stomach rolled and he looked back at Ginny. “You alright?” he asked.


“I will be,” she said, swallowing hard, her breathing labored. Swiping her brow with her sleeve, she nodded. “Come on. They’re still out there.”


Shadows darkened the doorway as two more Death Eaters entered the shop, wands at the ready. His wand in front of him, Harry pulled Ginny back behind a large stack of bags filled with chips used to cover the bottoms of Runespoor cages. Ginny slumped against the bags. Harry peered out from behind the stack and took aim at the closest hooded figure.


EXANIMO!


The elder Goyle’s hood fell back as the stream of blue pulsating light shooting out of Harry’s wand encircled his neck. Goyle clutched at his throat as he struggled to breathe, the asphyxiation spell cutting off his air passages. Not able to fill his lungs, Goyle blacked out, falling into a shelf holding pots, jars and vials of ointments designed to cure whatever ailment your dark creature had. The shelf supports cracked and gave way, spilling its contents on the floor.


Goyle’s companion stepped forward, his wand pointed at Harry and Ginny’s hiding place. Ginny cried out as she was thrown forward, a blasting spell causing the bags to explode. She shielded her head with her arms as a mixture of damp wood shavings, moss and dirt flew in all directions. The approaching Death Eater coughed and sputtered, blinking wildly to clear his eyes of flying dirt.


His glasses smeared and blurry, Harry took aim at the dark moving mass in front of him.


Abico converto!


His hood falling back, Crabbe screamed in rage as he was blasted back into the front wall of the shop. Harry sucked in his breath, almost gagging as he inhaled a mouthful of debris. Perspiration stung his eyes as he blinked rapidly to clear his vision. Whipping off his glasses, he pointed his wand at them and muttered, “Extergeo.” Slipping his clean glasses back on his face, Harry saw the Death Eater struggling to his feet.


His focus entirely on the hooded figure, Harry pointed his wand at Crabbe’s chest.


Aculeatus Vena!” he growled.


The blood stinging hex entered Crabbe through his heart, immediately spreading tendrils of fiery pain throughout his body. Howling, the Death Eater dropped to his knees, tears streaming down his cheeks as his face contorted in pain.


His heart pounding against his ribs, Harry held his wand steady as he watched the Death Eater writhe on the floor of the shop. Nathan had told him it would take the average wizard less than thirty seconds before he would simply black out from the pain of such a hex. Harry didn’t wait around to find out how average Crabbe was. If he was anything like his son, Harry was sure it would take about half that time.


Whirling around, Harry crouched down next to Ginny who was clutching her side, her eyes closed against the pain. Harry remembered Nathan’s comments from the summer on how Mediators would turn inward to strengthen and heal themselves. Harry touched her arm gently.


“Ginny? Can you walk?”


Her eyes closed, Ginny nodded. Clenching her jaw shut, she blinked and swallowed. “Yeah, I can walk. Let’s go,” she answered determinedly as Harry helped her to her feet.


Ginny leaned on Harry as they made their way out of the bestiary. Her right side felt like a pin cushion, scraped and poked by glass and splinters. She hissed as salty sweat mixed with fresh blood in scrapes and cuts she couldn’t see. She gritted her teeth as she stepped into the alley, hugging the wall next to Harry.


The alley was filled with flashes of light, streaming across clouds of smoke and dust. Harry saw Nathan and Lucius throwing spells back and forth, each one stronger and deadlier than the last. Chunks of mortar and brick flew, pock marking the alleyway as it fell. Crates smashed, glass shattered. Inching along the wall, Harry and Ginny ducked behind a large stack of caldrons as a flash of red light blasted past them. Sheltered from the alley, Ginny slumped to the ground.


“Stay down,” Harry said, glancing worriedly at her pale face.


Shifting her weight to push herself off the street, Ginny opened her mouth to protest. She yelped from cuts bleeding anew and fell back down. “For a minute,” she agreed, leaning back against the storefront.


Harry crouched down and peered around the cauldrons to get a better idea of what was going on. Spells flew from all directions, shattering storefronts and demolishing displays left in front, some hitting their mark, others not. Judging by the volume of spell work occurring, Harry could tell Nathan and Percy had been joined by others. From off to his right, he heard additional distinct cracks of Apparation. The amount of sparks flying from every doorway, behind every pot and out of every store front gave him a giddy sense of rightness.


Adrenalin flowing, Harry’s mind and wand seem to work as one. A barrage of spells sprung from the tip, aimed at black blurs moving through the fog of dust and debris that deepened the darkness permeating the alley. Screams floated back to him as curses met their mark. It didn’t take long before several Death Eaters determined his hiding spot and started to advance, sending spell after spell in his direction. As a flash of red lightening shot his direction, Harry dove back down behind the cauldrons.


“Hey, these are our cauldrons! Go find your own!”


“Fred! George! What are you doing here?” Harry exclaimed.


“Oh, you know, didn’t receive an invitation to the press conference,” Fred said.


“So we decided to crash the after-party,” George commented, shooting a stunning spell around one of the cauldrons. “The Aurors got called in to investigate a massive spell battle going on here. Bill was at the Ministry, too, after seeing Mum off. He thought we could be of help.”


“Are you two alright?” Percy panted, diving behind the cauldrons.


“Percy?” Fred said, ducking as a spell hit the cauldron he was hiding behind.


“What’s that git doing here?” George asked, his nose curling at the sight of his brother.


“I’m trying to help,” Percy said.


“I don’t think we need your kind of help,” Fred said.


“I think we need all the help we can get,” Ginny said, pushing herself away from the wall. The twins turned, surprised to see her there. Pale but still formidable, she fixed them with a look daring them to argue.


Fred and George glanced at each other, then at Percy and nodded. “Right,” they said together.


“We’ll talk about this later,” Fred huffed, glancing suspiciously at Percy.


“Later,” George nodded, before following his brother into the smoke filled alley.


Percy swallowed and nodded. He turned to Ginny. “Ginny, you’re bleeding!”


“I’ll be okay,” Ginny said, pushing his hand away. She grimaced as she shifted her weight, the glass digging further into her flesh.


REDUCTO!


A ringing blast hit the piles of cauldrons, sending them clanging into the alley. Three Death Eaters were approaching, wands aimed at the trio. Two of them had removed their hoods. McNair’s lip was curled in a cold smile. Avery’s eyes were filled with hatred. Harry aimed his wand at the closest, Avery, and snarled.


EXTUNDO!


Red light blasted from Harry’s wand as pots, boxes and crates flew at Avery and McNair, pummeling them as they fell against the brick wall of a storefront. Loosing his balance from the force of the spell, Harry stumbled backward, his legs hitting a rolling cauldron. He tumbled to the cobblestones, scrambling to regain his footing. He pushed himself off the ground only to be forced back down by McNair.


Crucio


McNair’s spell hit Harry square in the chest, daggers of excruciating pain shooting throughout his body. Harry’s screams echoed off the walls of the shops on either side of the alley.


OSSIS FRACTUS!”



Harry felt the spell lift as Percy’s bone crushing curse sent McNair to his knees, clutching his ribs, his mouth frozen open in pain.


The third Death Eater raised his wand and pointed it at Ginny.


Diffindo!


Percy launched himself in front of Ginny, screaming as the full force of the severing hex hit him straight in the chest. Percy fell, slamming into the cobblestones and lay still.


Her heart pounding, Ginny could feel the shards of glass biting into her hand as she clutched her wand and raised it. But before she could open her mouth, a desperate scream filled the alley.


“NO!” Lucius Malfoy roared, turning from Nathan for just a moment to aim his wand at the Death Eater. “DO NOT HARM HER! CRUCIO!” Green light from Lucius’ wand hit the Death Eater in the back, flinging him down into the street where he writhed in pain.


Lucius whirled back to face Nathan. Nathan was ready. With a steady hand, he pointed his wand at Lucius’ chest.


Aestuo Sanies,” he growled.


He watched in satisfaction as Lucius dropped to his knees, his head thrown back, screaming as his hands clawed at his skin, his blood boiling within. Breathing heavily, Nathan smeared dust across his face as he wiped sweat from his face on his sleeve. Exhausted, Nathan lifted his right foot and slammed it down in the middle of Malfoy’s chest, pinning him to the street. Pressing his weight against Malfoy’s ribs, he reached down and fished in Lucius’ cloak pocket for the watch. Standing back, he removed his foot, leaving Lucius writhing and panting on the ground.


“Tell your master,” Nathan growled, “I’m not finished with him yet.”


Nathan hobbled over to where Harry and Ginny were kneeling beside Percy. Bill stepped over the bodies of two black clad figures and crouched down next to his brother. He looked up at Harry and nodded.


“Nice job, Harry,” he said, nodding back at the bodies in the alley. “They won’t forget today any time soon.”


His face grim, Harry acknowledged the praise with a nod of his head.


“We’ll take Percy,” Fred said, coming up behind them. Bill looked up and nodded his agreement at Fred.


“What should we do about ““ George stopped as he looked over to where Lucius Malfoy had lain. He was no longer there. “Well, we’ll take care of Percy.”


Nathan nodded and held out the watch to Harry and Ginny.


“Hold on,” he said. “It’s time to go home.”



++++


The air in Dumbledore’s office positively sizzled. Waves of anger rolled off of Nathan as he slammed his fist on the desk, his eyes flashing fire at the two men he deemed responsible for today’s fiasco.


“What the hell did you do?” Nathan shouted at a triumphant looking Snape.


“Insurance, Borgin. It’s a Muggle concept, but even you might know what it is.”


“Your bloody insurance could have gotten us killed!”


“We didn’t know that was going to happen,” Dumbledore answered quietly, his face etched with lines of defeat and worry.


“We did not give him the original potion, Borgin,” Snape said. “The one he took contained several bloods, including mine. He is not immortal.”


“I - I don’t care,” Nathan cried, his eyes burning with fury as he grabbed the neck of Snapes robes and tightened his hold. Snape turned red, gasping for air. “You gave him her blood! You do know what that means don’t you? You do know he can now use her?”


“He’s not strong enough to use her,” Snape gasped.


Disgusted, Nathan threw the Potions Master away from him. Snape fell back, catching himself on one of the bookshelves, his hand massaging his throat.


“All he has to do is get his hands on her and he will be!” Nathan growled. “This idiocy of yours has totally defeated the whole purpose of the blood bonding in the first place. Everything Harry and Ginny worked for, everything my mother died for has been negated BECAUSE OF YOUR INSURANCE!”



“You promised me, Albus!” he cried, whipping around to face the Headmaster.


“No, I said this was a decision for The Order to make.”


“Did The Order make it? Did they have any say in it? Because I know of several people who won’t be too happy with the results of today’s adventure!”


“We thought it best, Nathan,” Dumbledore said. “We have slowed things down. This gives you more time.”


“You bought me time at the risk of their lives? You were willing to sacrifice Harry and Ginny to “ to buy time? How dare you use that as an argument for putting us, for putting them in danger.”


“Nathan, I thought it best ““


‘No, you didn’t think at all,” Nathan growled. “What you did “ it was something my father would have done. And I never thought I would ever put you in the same category as him.”


Turning away, Nathan stalked out, leaving a wake of silence wide and thick behind him.


+++++



Anna heard the knock on her door. Setting her book down on the table in the hall, she peered through the small window and gasped. As quick as she could, she undid the locks on her door and pulled it open.


“Nathan! What happened?” she said, stepping toward him.


Nathan wrapped his arms around her and held her close. He leaned on her, soaking up her warmth, her softness. He buried his head on her shoulder and breathed in her scent, willing it to fill the aching hollowness in his gut. He tightened his hold, clinging to her solidness for all he was worth. He moaned as she pulled away. He felt her take his hand. He opened his eyes, searching hers. She placed her free hand on the side of his cheek and leaned up to place a gentle kiss on his lips.


Stepping back, she tugged on his hand, leading him over the threshold and closing the door behind him.



++++



“Hey,” Harry said, sitting down next to Ginny on the bed in the Hospital Wing. “You know, usually this is the other way around, you visiting me instead of me visiting you.”


“I know,” Ginny smiled. “And I don’t even get to spend the night and have you wait on me hand and foot.” Ginny’s smile dimmed. “Have you seen Dumbledore?”


Harry sighed. “No. Not yet. Later. Nice shiner, there,” Harry said, touching the tender purple blue smudge on Ginny’s cheekbone.


“Thanks,” Ginny winced. “You should see the other guy. Other than that, I’m good as new” she said catching Madam Pomfrey’s reproving eye. “Well, almost. How are you?”


“Nothing a little time won’t cure,” Harry said, standing up and holding his hand out.


Ginny looked at his hand for a moment. She cocked her head to the side, her eyes on the scar. Biting her bottom lip, she took Harry’s hand in hers and ran the pad of her thumb across the bonding scar on his palm. Harry looked at the healing pink pock marks on Ginny’s hand where the glass had ground into her. He lifted her hand up and placed a soft kiss on the scars.


“Sit,” Ginny commanded, smiling softly as she stood up.


“Why?” Harry asked, obediently sitting.


“Because I think I can help you,” Ginny said thoughtfully. “Here, give me your hand. Close your eyes and open up.”


“Why do I have to close my eyes? Who says I can’t open up with my eyes open?”


Ginny wrinkled her nose and grinned sheepishly. “I just don’t want you staring at me,” she admitted, flushing slightly.


“I like staring at you,” Harry said, holding his palm up to hers. Leaning forward, he whispered, “It’s because I like you.”


“Oh,” Ginny said, whispering back. “I like you, too, but close your eyes anyway.”


Harry chuckled and did as he was told. Immediately, he felt Ginny’s power, sweeping through him, enveloping him, making him whole. Behind his eyes he saw the ribbons, the ones from him, dark and worn. His mind’s eye traveled their paths, interwoven with Ginny’s, but instead of strong and bright, he noticed hers were pale, torn and ragged. He watched his ribbons be cleansed, their colors returning, their strength regained, standing out markedly against Ginny’s. His heart ached at the sight, knowing what she was able to do for him, wanting to be able to do the same for her. Without thinking, Harry began to concentrate on Ginny’s ribbons, willing them to shine brightly, to heal themselves. In fascination, he felt the tug in his heart, the pull toward her as the ribbons strengthened, repairing themselves. Before his eyes he saw their bond repaired, glimmering brilliantly.


His eyes flew open at Ginny’s soft gasp. Her eyes wide with awe, she was blinking at him in absolute wonder, a smile beginning to take over her features.


“Whoa,” she said softly.


Harry grinned, “Yeah, whoa,” he nodded in agreement.


“I didn’t know that could happen,” Ginny whispered. “It’s not supposed to go both ways.”


“Really?” Harry said surprised. “Huh.”


“That’s pretty cool,” Ginny giggled.


“I don’t think I could have done that without you, though,” Harry said seriously, reaching forward and pulling her close. “Thank you for being mine.”


“I’ve never been anyone else’s,” Ginny said softly, wrapping her arms around him and melting into him. “Never have been. Never will be.”



+++++



A/N “ Thanks to http://elib.cs.berkeley.edu/photos/fungi/com.html - The Digital Library Project for the University of California, Berkeley, for fun names of fungi.


Thanks to http://catholic.archives.nd.edu/cgi-bin/lookdown.pl - The University of Notre Dame’s English to Latin Dictionary for fun animal names and spells


To wvchemteach’s undying patience with my battle scenes “ Extundo!


And to Anya who has the patience of a saint when it comes to my turning off comments and edits “ my thanks!
Fates by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.




Fates






Harry sat down across from Ron and Hermione, letting his book bag fall to the floor with a ‘thunk’. Ron pushed a plate of bacon toward him, but not before grabbing a handful for himself. Hermione kept her nose glued to her copy of The Daily Prophet. Harry glanced at the paper, wondering if the coverage of the attack on Knockturn Alley had finally made it past the front page. His eye caught on a photograph of a family. Thinking the young girl in the photograph looked familiar, Harry leaned closer to read the caption.



The Man Who Might be Minister - Martin and Vivian Blevins and their daughter Joanna on holiday. Story Page Three.



Hermione closed the paper with a snap, folded it carefully and placed it next to her plate. Harry’s hand shot out and snagged it.


“Yes, Harry, you may borrow my paper,” Hermione remarked slightly put out, as Harry unfolded the paper and turned to the third page.


Time for A Change?



The office of the Minister of Magic issued a statement yesterday saying the current Minister of Magic has no plans of stepping down in the near future, despite the growing public distrust of his office. This statement was released in response to an exclusive interview Martin Blevins granted The Daily Prophet this past week. While not directly saying so himself, Blevins has been mentioned, along with Ameila Bones, as a top candidate to take over as Minster of Magic should the position become open.



”It is time for a change,” Blevins stated. When asked if he was the man to instigate the change, Blevins did not directly respond. He commented there were many talented people in the Ministry. “What we need, though, is more than talent. We need someone who is willing to do what needs to be done.”


By his own admission, Blevins is a man of action. A graduate of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, where his youngest daughter Joanna is currently enrolled, Blevins was a well respected member of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement before taking over as head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation. He has been a member of the Wizengamot for the past four years and a recipient of the Order of Merlin, First Class, for Services to the Ministry. Over the past months, Blevins has become increasingly vocal in regard to his displeasure with the Ministry’s level of response to the increase of Death Eater attacks, calling it “simply inadequate.”


When asked his thoughts regarding the increase of attacks in recent weeks, the current Minister of Magic, Cornielius Fudge, responded, “If I didn’t know better, I would say something set He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named off, almost as if these attacks are a chain reaction of some sort.”


The Minister’s answer did not appear to appease Blevins, who had this to say in regard to the Minister’s sentiments. “The Knockturn Alley attack (of November 20th ) seems to be just one more sign that the current administration is not doing enough to ensure the safety of the magical community. We need to devote the proper amount of resources to the issues at hand. We are at war, for Merlin’s sake!”


In response, the Office of the Minister of Magic’s spokesperson said the Minister will take all ideas and suggestions into consideration.





A disgusted look on his face, Harry waded up the paper and set it on fire right in the middle of the Gryffindor table, much to Hermione’s dismay.


“But Harry! I haven’t finished with it yet!” she cried, dousing the paper with water from her wand. “Not to mention, you aren’t allowed to set things on fire in the Great Hall!”


“He’s an idiot, Hermione,” Ron argued, grabbing a sausage from the platter in front of him.


“Thanks, Ron,” Harry replied sarcastically.


“Not you, Harry, Fudge,” Ron said. “Dad’s always said he couldn’t think his way out of a paper bag. It’s high time we get a new Minister, one who knows what’s going on. Dad likes Blevins. He’s worked with him a few times. Says he really knows his stuff.”


“Still, that isn’t any reason to set up a bonfire in the middle of breakfast!” Hermione admonished, sweeping the ashes to the floor. “Have you talked to Dumbledore, Harry?”


“No,” Harry said, picking up his book back and standing up. He wasn’t in the mood for a lecture on mending fences or being told that Dumbledore had had his best interest at heart.


“You know, Harry ““


“I’ll see you later, Hermione. Later, Ron,” Harry said, turning away and heading toward the doors.


“Ron, you should really talk ““


“No, Hermione, I shouldn’t,” Ron said, wiping his mouth with his napkin. “Dumbledore screwed up. He has put my best mate and my sister in danger. For that, I don’t want to talk to him either.”


Hermione sighed. “I just wish I understood why,” she said, gazing up at the sparsely populated staff table.


Nathan sat at one end of the table, his eyes focused on a book he had placed in front of him. He never went anywhere without something to read these days, be it rolls of parchment or moldy old textbooks. Hermione had become so curious about what he was reading, she had approached him one morning and asked if he needed help with anything in hopes of being handed a stack of texts to read. Despite looking harried and worn out, Nathan had quickly held the book to his chest, shook his head and told her he was just doing some research.


Research it might be, but Hermione also deduced that by keeping his nose in a book, Nathan was able to avoid any contact, eye or vocal, with Dumbledore who was sitting in his customary seat, half way down the table. Hermione noted he too looked a little more worn around the edges, as if sleep wasn’t coming easily. Pushing his chair back from the table, Nathan caught Hermione’s eye and nodded at her. Realizing she was staring, Hermione blushed slightly and returned her attention to breakfast.


Nathan tucked his book under his arm and made his way in between the Gryffindor and Hufflepuff tables and into the Entrance Hall. Glancing around, he quickly spotted Harry and Ginny at the bottom of the Grand Staircase.


“Harry, Ginny,” Nathan greeted as he strolled toward them.


“Good morning, Professor Borgin,” Ginny smiled. “We were just talking about our holiday plans.”


“Oh? And are you heading home?” Nathan asked.


“No, it doesn’t seem like we are,” Ginny said. “Mum and Dad are planning on visiting Charlie, and with the increased attacks, they’ve decided Hogwarts is probably the safest place for us.”


“I’m sorry to hear that,” Nathan replied, then shook his head. “Well, not really. I’m here for the holidays, too. It will be nice to have some company. Anyway, don’t you have class?”


“Yeah,” Harry grinned. “Yours.”


“Well then, let’s get going,” Nathan said, turning in the direction of his classroom. “Good day, Ginny.”


Giving Ginny a quick kiss on the cheek, Harry quickly fell into step beside Nathan.


“What are we doing today?” he asked.


“Anna lent me a book on binding hexes used by the Ancient Egyptians. She has this odd fascination for hexes that involve closing people up in spaces. I think it comes from spending too much time in small traveling compartments as a child. Anyway, the Ancient Egyptians would place the sarcophagus in the burial chamber and close it up, leaving just a tiny hole big enough for a wand to slide through and cast a binding hex. The wizard would pull the wand out and plug the hole up. The binding hex creates a type of dust that would attach itself to the items in the room. Should an unsuspecting grave robber try to steal anything within the room, they would be bound. Some of the hexes would bind through fear leaving the grave robber horribly disoriented, only able to exist within his mind, unable to find his way out of the tomb. Another bound the person to the room, not allowing them to leave. They would slowly die of starvation and dehydration. Another one ““


“Uh, professor?” Harry called, three steps behind Nathan.


“Yes?” Nathan said, stopping and looking around.


“Your classroom?” Harry said, pointing over his shoulder. “You passed it.”


“Oh, right,” Nathan chuckled. “I’m a little caught up in the subject. Shall we?”


Harry grinned, thinking Nathan’s ‘subject’ was rather caught up in him, too.



+++++



“So, Joanna, what are you doing for the holidays?” Ginny asked, sliding into a chair next to her in the library.


“Oh,” Joanna said, looking up from her charms homework and propping her cheek against her palm, “in my mind or in reality?” she asked wistfully.


“Let’s go for reality first,” Ginny picked, smiling.


“Staying here,” Joanna sighed.


“Really? Me, too,” Ginny said surprised. “You’ve never stayed before. Why now?”


“It’s my dad’s job. Everybody thinks he’s in the running to be the next Minister of Magic so he’s been giving all these interviews. My dad is not known for keeping his opinions to himself. Both he and my mum now have their own entourage following them around for protection. They’ve been talking about making me come home, but I told them I’d be fine here.”


“Huh,” Ginny said, sitting back and crossing her arms across her chest. Giving Joanna an appraising look, she snorted.


“What?” Joanna asked.


“Neville’s staying, too,” Ginny grinned widely.


“No. No, he isn’t. He is? Really?” Joanna stuttered, shaking her head, her face contorting with a surge of shocked happiness. “Really?” she repeated.


“Uh-huh,” Ginny nodded.


“Yes!” Joanna leaned back, stretched her arms up and leaned her head back.


“Christmas just came early, didn’t it?” Ginny observed wryly. “Speaking of which, what are you going to get him?”


Joanna shot straight back up. “Get him? Neville? Christmas! Oy!” she groaned. “Ironic isn’t it how the first stirrings of romance are so wonderful and so awful all at the same time.”


“Cruel,” Ginny agreed.


“Hmmm…alright, I can do this,” Joanna said, tapping her fingers on the table. “I mean, I’ve been watching him for six years “ oh, heavens, that makes me sound psychotic, doesn’t it?”


Ginny giggled. “No, not really.”


“Oh, right,” Joanna said, grinning. “You know what it’s like. He’s always there. No matter where he is, you just know. I mean, I’ll be sitting on one end of the common room and I don’t even have to see him, but I can tell you exactly when he comes in the room and where he sits. It’s like he pulls my attention to him.”


“You are hopeless,” Ginny said smiling.


“Yep,” Joanna grinned happily. “Okay, what to get Neville for Christmas…what do you get for a boy who is sweet, loyal, kind, adorable, with hair you just want run my fingers through and a place on his neck that ““


“Please, Joanna, Neville’s a friend. I don’t need that kind of imagery,” Ginny coughed.


“Oh, right,” Joanna said, blushing slightly. “Sorry. It’s just strange how I’ve always known he was there, but since he smiled at me, everything just exploded. That pull he has for me just became ten times stronger.”


Ginny went still. “Pull he has for you?” she asked, swallowing, her mind racing. “Has it been like this with any other boy you’ve gone out with?” Ginny asked, trying to keep her voice neutral as she busied herself opening her book bag.


Joanna flushed. “I haven’t really gone out with any other boys,” she admitted quietly, her eyes focused on her hands in her lap. “I think I’ve always just wanted Neville.” Joanna looked up as Ginny’s chair scraped backwards. “Hey, Ginny, where are you going?”


“Uh, I forgot I need to see Professor Borgin about something “ a question regarding the essay he assigned us,” Ginny said a little loudly over her shoulder, earning a disapproving glare from Madam Pince.


“But Ginny, Professor Borgin didn’t assign us an essay,” Joanna called out confused, watching her friend leave. Smiling weakly at the perturbed looking librarian, Joanna reluctantly returned her attention to her Charms book and the more pressing problem of a Christmas present.



++++



“Nathan, I’d like to have a word with you,” Dumbledore said from the doorway of Nathan’s office.


“Is it about my curriculum?” Nathan asked, not looking up from the parchment on his desk.


“No,” Albus replied.


“Then you can keep your words. I don’t want to hear them.”


“Nathan, I think you should consider talking to Anna about moving into the castle,” Dumbledore said, ignoring Nathan’s retort.


“What makes you think you have any right to offer advice on my relationships?” Nathan snapped.


“No one has any right to comment on your relationships,” Dumbledore said, “but I care about both your and Anna’s safety. Due to the recent events, I’m not sure she is safe in Hogsmeade.”


“What about the wards?” Nathan asked, making a note in the margin of the essay in front of him.


“The wards are in place, but she is your wife and that makes her a target.”


“No thanks to you,” Nathan replied churlishly, his eyes still downcast.


Silence, thick and electric, filled the office. Nathan knew he had read the same line four times waiting for the Headmaster to leave, but Dumbledore was not leaving. Giving up, Nathan sighed and dropped his quill on the desk. He pressed his fingers to his forehead, applying pressure to the insistent throb above his left eye.


“Why, Albus?” Nathan asked, dropping his hand and leaning back in his chair, his eyes pleading for understanding. “Why? You knew what it meant, didn’t you?”


Dumbledore crossed the threshold and, with a wave of his hand, closed the door behind him. The latch clicked as he sat down on one of the chairs opposite Nathan’s desk. Nathan watched as the Headmaster of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry deflated before his eyes. Albus Dumbledore looked worn out. His complexion was grey; the lines on his face were deeper; his eyes had lost their twinkle. The power seemed to seep out of him as he sunk into the chair. Dumbledore slowly nodded.


“I don’t understand you, Albus,” Nathan said sadly.


“I’m not sure I understand myself, either,” Dumbledore replied. “The potion should have disabled him.”


“Well, it did that,” Nathan replied sarcastically.


“Nathan, I wanted to buy you time and I was rather sure you wouldn’t have time if we did things your way,” Dumbledore said.


“We almo-“


Dumbledore held up his hand. Nathan stopped, anger mixing with his annoyance.


“Nathan, one of my greatest faults has always been my heart. I may have done you and Harry and Ginny a horrible wrong. I am not going to deny that. But at the time, it was in my mind the best course of action. The groundwork had been laid. Had you gone to Tom and told him the potion was not a viable option, it would have only been a matter of time until he determined he was being deceived, and he would kill you.


“In some ways, Nathan, you remind me very much of Harry. When you arrived at Hogwarts, you were a lost, lonesome boy, fighting against constraints put upon you by powers beyond your control. I was given the opportunity to help you escape those restraints and then the joy of watching you become so much more than I think even you ever dreamt of. All of my students have a place in my heart, and I admit, some more than others. Selfishly, I wanted to grant your wish and give you more time and I did,” Dumbledore explained, sadness and regret radiating off him in waves.


“But at what cost, Albus?” Nathan asked quietly, eyeing the Headmaster wearily. He was surprised at the thought that occurred to him as he studied the wizard. Nathan could imagine the weight of the world sitting on Dumbledore’s shoulders. He knew that wasn’t an easy thing to bear. A nagging voice poked him in the back of his brain.


”We all make mistakes, Nathan. You must learn from them and move on. Otherwise you will end up stuck in a quagmire of anger and frustration for the rest of your life. Do you want to be remembered for being a resentful old wizard? Or for being a wizard who lived? Believe me, Nathan, I may only be your mother, but I know both sides. Live. Life is too short for that much anger.”


Nathan almost grinned. Even from the afterlife, his mother was an annoying know it all. Sitting up straighter in his chair, Nathan looked at Dumbledore, his eyes full of challenge.


“Nathan, you know I will protect them with my life, as you will,” Dumbledore said quietly.



Nathan nodded slowly before speaking. “You realize I don’t trust you. And I don’t think they do either.”


Dumbledore nodded sadly. “I expected as much,” he said quietly, standing up to leave. “The heart is a powerful weapon. It has the power to make us live or die, the power to gain forgiveness and influence trust. For better or worse, I followed mine. Now, the most I can hope for is understanding.”


Nathan mulled this statement over as the Headmaster left. Leaning his chair back so it rested on the two back legs, Nathan propped his feet up on his desk and furrowed his brow.


The power to make us live or die…



+++++



Ginny raced up the stairs to Nathan’s office and pounded her fist on the door. Barely latched, the door swung open with a swoosh and banged against the wall. Nathan looked up from the essays he was grading in surprise.


“Sorry, Professor,” Ginny said breathlessly.


“No worries, Ginny,” Nathan replied calmly. “I’ve always wanted to know what it would be like to have students clamoring to get into my office. Now I know. It’s noisy. What can I do for you this afternoon?”


“Well, I was in the library with Joanna Blevins just now and she has a crush on Neville and she says she has always liked him since she first saw him first year and since he smiled at her the pull she feels for him has just gotten worse and now she’s trying to figure out what to get him for Christmas and since they’re both staying here that will be a nice chance for them to get to know each other better which is good because I think Joanna might be Neville’s bond.” Ginny sucked in a large breath and fell into the chair in front of Nathan’s desk. She looked up at him expectantly.


Nathan reached for the pitcher of water on the side of his desk and poured Ginny a glass. Standing up, he walked around the end of his desk and handed it to her. He folded his arms across his chest and perched himself on the edge.


“She feels a pull?” he asked, sorting out the pertinent information from Ginny’s outburst.


Ginny nodded her head as she took a sip of water.


“How long has that pull been there?” Nathan asked slowly.


“Six years,” Ginny said swallowing.


“Well, that is a bit long for a simple crush, isn’t it?” Nathan said furrowing his brow.


“I thought so, too. And, Professor,” Ginny said, leaning forward to set her glass on the desktop, “you know the Prophecy, right? About the one who would face the Dark Lord being born in July to parents who defied him three times? What if “ if fate decided to prepare both boys born in July, just in case?” she pondered, biting her bottom lip. “I “ I know this sounds stupid, but what if some strange force out there decided to help them out in the only way it could?”


Nathan thought about it for a moment. “I’ve long since learned not to question those strange forces,” he admitted. “It could have been either one that Voldemort chose,” he said slowly. “Ginny, did you say anything to her about your bond?”


Ginny shook her head. “I haven’t told anyone, except Ron and Hermione. Harry hasn’t either.”


“Alright, do you remember those meditation exercises my mother had you work on? When you were simply trying to direct your bond because it didn’t have an anchor at that point in time?”


Ginny nodded, unsure of where Nathan was going with this line of questioning.


“I want you to close your eyes and instead of concentrating on your bond, concentrate on Joanna. See if you can see anything.”


Ginny shrugged her shoulders and closed her eyes. She drew in a deep breath and slipped into herself, finding her center. The sounds of Nathan’s office melted away and soon she was within herself looking out. She reached out to her memories of Joanna. At first, her thoughts were on physical aspects, Joanna’s blonde hair, her expressive brown eyes, her plant stained fingers from too many hours spent in the greenhouses. Knowing the physical didn’t matter, Ginny reached for the intangible, the easy laughter, the ability to not take herself too seriously, the deep, generous nature and the loving heart. The heart drew Ginny in, wrapping her in its emotions, warming her, comforting her.


Ginny gasped and her eyes flew open. “Ribbons. I saw ribbons.”


Nathan smiled and nodded. “I want us to talk to Joanna,” he said chuckling. “My mother always said Mediators just know other Mediators. Kind of like a sixth sense type of thing.”


Ginny smiled appreciatively at Nathan. “Thank you.”


“You’re welcome, Ginny. You mentioned she was staying here for the holidays, as is Neville. Let’s plan on approaching the subject with them then.”


“Can I tell Harry?” Ginny asked hopefully.


“As long as he doesn’t spread the word, I don’t see why not. Of course, you realize what this means, don’t you?” Nathan said, returning to his chair behind his desk.


“No, what?” Ginny asked, standing up.


“You’ll have to train her,” Nathan replied.


“Me?” Ginny said aghast. “I couldn’t!”


Nathan snorted. “Ginny, if anyone can do it, it’s you.”


Ginny glowed bright red. “Really?”


“My mother wouldn’t have said so if she didn’t believe it,” Nathan said in all honestly. “But first, let’s see if Joanna is game. And Neville, of course.”


“Right,” Ginny said, her face flushed with a mixture of pride and embarrassment, her feet cemented to the floor.


“Ginny?”


“Yeah?”


“Did you need anything else?” Nathan asked.


“Uh, no,” Ginny said, shaking her head free of clouds. “I just got caught up in…”


Nathan grinned. “It’s rather cool, isn’t it?”


“Yeah, rather,” Ginny smiled back, before turning toward the door.


++++



Harry landed against the back wall with a thud. He threw his arms over his head just in time to avoid a mop thwacking him on top of the skull. He heard the door slam shut and felt a calming touch on his arm.


“Harry! You’ll never guess!”


Harry pushed the mop out of his way. He squinted in the dimness. Ginny was crouched in front of him, her nose almost touching his, in the cramped broom cupboard.


“Ginny, you just threw me into a broom cupboard,” he said incredulously.


“Yes! I had to! I have something to tell you,” she said, her eyes alight with excitement. “You’ll never guess!”


“You know, when a girl throws a boy into a broom cupboard, it usually isn’t to talk,” Harry said, trying to find a comfortable sitting position in the musty smelling cupboard.


“We can get to that after,” Ginny replied, kneeling. “Harry, Joanna is Neville’s bond.”


“Huh?”


“Joanna is a Mediator “ well, untrained. But it’s there, Harry. I saw it. She’s got ribbons. And Neville is her bond. Or at least I think he is. It makes total sense!”


“It does?” Harry asked, his eyebrows scrunched together.


“Yes it does,” Ginny nodded enthusiastically. “I talked to Professor Borgin. This may be strange, Harry, but before Voldemort picked you, there were two babies born at the end of July to parents who defied the Dark Lord three times.”


“Ginny, there isn’t anything in the Prophecy about bonds ““


“I know, Harry, but what if fate or kismet or destiny or whatever you want to call it decided to give both babies what it could in order to help. Maybe this unseen force knew you both would grow up without parents and would both face hardships most of us don’t. Maybe these powers that be decided to give you both a boost and give you both bonds.”


Ginny’s hands were palm down on the floor, her body tilting into his, her eyes bright and full of the excitement of discovery and possibility. The fresh scent of her hair wafted up and around him. Harry swallowed, struggling to keep his mind on the topic at hand. He cleared his throat.


“Wh “ what did Professor Borgin say?” he asked distractedly.


“He had me do a mediation exercise. I saw the ribbons, Harry,” Ginny exclaimed excitedly. “Joanna is Neville’s bond.”


“Does Joanna know?” Harry asked, his eyes darting to her lips.


“No, and you can’t tell anyone. At least not yet,” Ginny said, sitting back. “Professor Borgin wants to talk to them over the holidays. Since they will both be here, it will be a perfect time to do it,” she said, clapping her hands together happily.


“Ginny?”


“Yeah?”


“You dragged me into a broom cupboard to tell me that?”


“No, not entirely,” Ginny said, leaning back down to touch her nose to his. “I also dragged you in here to snog you senseless, but if you’ve got someplace you need to be…”


“No, I believe my schedule is wide open,” Harry replied huskily, “completely wide open.”




++++



Several days later, Neville stood still as a statue two feet away from his bed. A light covering of nervous sweat added a sheen to his pale face. His breathing was shallow, his mouth hung slightly open and his eyes were wide with disbelief. Ron stepped tentatively up to his side and peered over his right shoulder. Harry looked over Neville’s left.


The velvet curtains hanging around Neville’s four poster had been pulled back to reveal a neatly made bed. In the middle of the blankets rested a present. The package was the size of a loosely rolled piece of parchment. It was wrapped in simple silver paper and tied with a deep green ribbon. Harry could tell it was heavy from the indentation it made in the blankets. Harry glanced down at Neville’s hand. A small silver card that matched the wrapping paper was clutched tightly in his fist.


“What’s up?” Seamus asked, joining the group from behind.


“Something wrong with your bed?” Dean chimed in, stopping beside Harry. “Oy! Neville, who’s the present from?”


Harry could hear Neville audibly swallow next to him. “A “ a girl,” Neville whispered, his pale, clammy complexion becoming splotchy red. Harry had a feeling he knew who that girl was.


A reverent silence fell as the group of seventh year boys (almost men) contemplated the wrapped package and what it meant.


Eyes riveted on the green bow, Ron cleared his throat. “You know what this means, don’t you?”


As if all connected to the same spine, Dean, Harry and Seamus slowly nodded simultaneously.


“We need to shop,” Dean said dazed.


“And fast,” Seamus added.


“Any ideas, Harry?” Ron asked hopefully.


“None,” Harry answered gloomily.


“We’re pathetic,” Seamus observed.


“At least we’ve got each other,” Dean observed.


“No offense, you lot, but I’m not snuggling up with any of you on Christmas,” Ron replied.


“None taken,” Seamus said. “You coming?”


“Uh, in a minute,” Harry said, his eyes still on the package.


“Right,” Dean nodded, following Seamus out of the dormitory.


Harry heard Neville breathing, in and out, in and out, and wondered briefly if he was going to pass out. Then Neville spoke.


“Guys?”


“Yeah?”


“What should I do?”


“Uh, well, I’d say open it,” Harry suggested.


“Yeah,” Ron agreed.


“Right,” Neville nodded, his feet firmly cemented to the floor.


Hiding his grin, Ron poked Neville in the back. Startled, Neville stumbled forward into his bed. Righting himself, he reached out his hand and stopped. He glanced back uncertainly at Ron and Harry.


“Neville, it’s not going to bite you,” Harry assured him, crossing his fingers behind his back that that was really the case and glancing at Ron for reassurance.

Ron shrugged his shoulders and whispered, “You can never be too sure.”


Neville took a deep breath and scooped up the package. Pulling at the ribbon, he dropped it to his bed and slipped the wrapping paper off.


“Wow,” Neville breathed, his hands running over a soft brown leather cover.


“What is it, Neville?” Harry asked, leaning forward to get a better look.


Neville unbuckled the case and rolled it out on his bed, revealing a set of handcrafted pruning tools. Carefully, he pulled a set of gleaming silver shears out of their pocket and turned them over in his hand. A gold colored strip twinkled on the handle. Harry could read the initials, ‘NL’ and grinned as the red splotches in Neville’s cheeks spread until his face was a bright, shining crimson.


“Who are they from?” Ron asked, looking around for the card.


“Uh, Joanna Blevins,” Neville said distractedly as he pulled each tool out of the case to examine it.


“She’s one of Ginny’s roommates. I didn’t realize you two were going out,” Harry said, feigning ignorance.


“We’re not,” Neville said, stopping all movement. “Harry! Ron!”


“What?”


“Do you suppose this means she likes me?”


Ron snorted. “Yeah, Neville, I think that’s a good sign.”


Neville swallowed and nodded, his face now devoid of expression and color.


“Harry, what should I do?” he whispered.


“Uh, well, I suppose you should thank her,” Harry answered slowly.


“Do I need to get her a gift, too?” Neville asked.


“I suppose so,” Ron said, nodding.


“What are you getting Ginny?” Neville asked, looking dazedly at Harry.


Harry looked at Neville’s hopeful expression, a nagging sense of unease settling in his stomach as he uttered the truth. “I don’t know. Ron? Hermione?”


“No clue,” Ron sighed. “Not a single clue.”



+++++



The past Headmasters and Headmistresses of Hogwarts whispered as Harry and Ginny stood in front of Dumbledore’s desk. The instant they had stepped off the stairs and onto the rug, the portraits had become a sea of motion, subjects moving from frame to frame. Ginny had been somewhat impressed at how sprightly the older witches and wizards were, but then again, gossip is an amazing fuel. Not wanting to sit for fear of loosing hold of her anger, Ginny stood, her gaze flitting over the empty frames and resting on the several that were crammed with conversations being held behind gloved hands. Ginny felt a giggle bubble up as she wondered if a frame could break from too much weight.


“What?” Harry asked, seeing Ginny’s mouth twitch.


“Oh, nothing,” she said, looking back at Harry. “How are you doing?”


“Fine,” Harry answered automatically. Ginny raised her eyebrows at him and he sighed. “I don’t know how I’m doing. You?”


Ginny shrugged her shoulders and reached out for Harry’s hand. “This may sound odd, but I’m glad to finally be here. We’ve been avoiding Professor Dumbledore for weeks. I feel as if I’ve been walking around with this solid rock of anger and confusion inside my stomach since we got back from the registration but I haven’t known how to ask him why without shouting at him.”


“Do you know now?” Harry asked.


“No,” Ginny said, shaking her head, “but after watching Professor Dumbledore, I can’t help but get the feeling he’d rather we yell at him than give him our silence.”


“What, so he can feel better?” Harry asked sarcastically.


“No, so we can move past our anger,” Ginny said simply. “He’s always been old, but recently he’s looked old. And worn out. You know, everyone has always expected him to have the right answer, to take the right path, but he’s not perfect. And he made a mistake and I think he knows it,” she shrugged.


“I do,” Albus Dumbledore agreed softly from behind them. “And you are both correct in my reasons for wanting to see you. However, there is another.”


Harry turned and watched Dumbledore who didn’t step behind his desk, but instead chose to stand in front of them as if he was more than their Headmaster. Dumbledore clasped his hands in front of him. This close, Harry noticed what Ginny had said about Dumbledore aging. He was surprised that it made his heart constrict despite the anger rolling within. The deepened lines, the ash gray complexion beneath the startling white beard, the eyes without their customary twinkle - it made Harry realize the only wizard Voldemort feared was indeed mortal. And while the thought didn’t lessen Harry’s anger any, he found himself more willing to listen.


“I have some news, Harry,” Dumbledore said, his sorrowful eyes meeting Harry’s stony cold ones. “There has been an attack on Privet Drive. Your aunt and uncle and cousin were not harmed.”


Harry exhaled, not realizing he had been holding his breath. He might not feel any love toward his blood relatives, but they were still family.


“The attack was not centered on your family,” Dumbledore continued quietly. “The Death Eaters went after Mrs. Figg.”


Harry felt cold and hot all at once. The sounds of cat food tins clanking together filled his head. His middle ached as he thought of her tartan carpet slippers and the smell of cabbage. His voice cracked as he spoke.


“Who’s going to look after the cats?”


A small twinkle flickered in Dumbledore’s eyes as he answered. “The ones who survived have been taken to Grimmauld Place. Mr. Tibbles, however, insisted on going to the Burrow, much to your mother’s chagrin, Ginny. She claimed she just got rid of one opinionated feline, but in the end, agreed.”


Harry blinked his eyes rapidly as they swelled with moisture. Ginny wiped at her cheeks with the back of her hand. Dumbledore cleared his throat, breaking the sad silence.


“As far as the other,” he started, his voice crackling with regret, “I “ I’m not sure what to say. This world of ours isn’t black and white. If it was, we would not be standing here.” Dumbledore paused, gathering his thoughts. He swallowed and looked into their eyes. “I wanted to buy us time,” he explained quietly. “I wanted to keep us all safe and buy some time.”


Ginny watched as the wizard who never seemed to falter for the right - if not slightly off beat - thing to say, struggled to find the correct words to express his emotions. The rock in her stomach was still there, but her immediate anger had deflated. She couldn’t argue in the face of such utter defeat. She glanced up at Harry who was looking much like she felt. She squeezed his hand and met his gaze.


Harry looked between Ginny and Dumbledore. He was at a loss for words. His anger warred with his heart. He didn’t know if it was Ginny’s observations or Dumbledore’s admission or the news of Mrs. Figg, but Harry felt a connection with the Headmaster. Even though the Prophecy was not public knowledge, Harry walked around each and every day feeling as if all the eyes of the wizarding world were looking to him to save them again. He knew what it was like to make a mistake, thinking he was doing the right thing. Loosing Sirius had taught him that much. He also couldn’t guarantee he wouldn’t make another mistake in hopes of keeping the ones he loved safe. Harry squeezed Ginny’s hand back.


Slinging his book bag over his shoulder, Harry met Dumbledore’s eyes and nodded. He then tugged Ginny’s hand. Ginny flashed a small smile at the Headmaster and followed Harry out of Dumbledore’s office.


“You know, Albus, I think those two might be growing up,” Phineas Nigellus observed in a bored tone from his frame on the wall.


“Really, Phineus?” Dumbledore remarked, his eyes on the stairs. “I would have to agree. And much to your dismay, I’m sure, I find myself aspiring to be more like them every day,” he commented softly.



++++




Ginny sat crossed legged on her bed, her hands in her lap weaving multiple silk strands together. Periodically she would glance over at an open book on her bed then back at the project in her hands, double checking her work. Multiple strands of silk lay in front of her, spread out like a rainbow against the quilt. Chehalis sat on his haunches, tracking the moving the thread. Ginny wove the muted colors in and out and over each other. Chehalis’ paw shot out, anchoring the burgundy thread to the blankets.


“Chehalis, you aren’t helping,” Ginny said, tugging the thread from under the cat’s paw. Chehalis’ paws batted at the movement, attacking the silk. Ginny sighed exasperatedly at the cat. “You are a Mediator’s cat, Chehalis. You should know about these,” she said, waving the woven band in front of the cat’s face. “You know you “ hey, stop that!” Ginny laughed, as Chehalis stood on his haunches, his front paws waving in front of him in hopes of catching his silken prey. Chehalis fell back down on all fours as the door opened to the dorm.


“Hey, Ginny,” Joanna said, sitting down dejectedly on the side of her bed.


Ginny looked up and smiled widely at Joanna. She couldn’t wait to tell her. No, not tell her, Ginny thought, approach her. This might not be Joanna’s idea of fun, after all.


“Are you alright?” Ginny asked, gathering up her project. “Get off, Chehalis. This isn’t for you!” she scolded, swatting the playful feline away.


“I don’t know,” Joanna said, her brow furrowing in confusion.


“Ginny? Have you “ oh, hello Joanna,” Hermione said, poking her head inside the room. Taking in Joanna’s expression, Hermione stepped into the room. “Is everything alright?”


“Yes “ no, oh, I don’t know,” Joanna said, flopping backward on her bed, her arms widespread.


Hermione raised her eyebrows at Ginny who shrugged. Putting her threads on the table, Ginny scooted off her bed and sat cross legged on one side of Joanna’s bed while Hermione took the other.


“What happened?” Ginny asked.


Sighing deeply, Joanna flipped over on her stomach and propped her chin on her hands. “I gave him the gift.”


“Gave who what gift?” Hermione asked curiously.


“I gave Neville a set of pruning tools. The catalogue said they were ‘a must’ for every herbologist. They were charmed to never become dull or rust. I even had them engraved,” Joanna said, her cheeks reddening as she moved her chin and dropped her forehead into her hands. “Then I left them on his bed this morning.”


“Joanna, I’m sure he loved them,” Ginny said reassuringly.


“Of course he would,” Hermione said, patting the younger girl on the back.


“I don’t know,” Joanna said, turning her head so her cheek rested on her arms. “He “ he just stopped me in the corridor and…” Joanna stopped, pushed herself up into a sitting position between Ginny and Hermione. Her eyes widened and her mouth opened. “He couldn’t say a word,” she said in wonder, a smile beginning to spread across her face.


“Well, it is Neville,” Hermione commented dryly.


“Hermione!” Ginny scolded. “Just because you’ve never been at a loss for words, doesn’t mean everyone else doesn’t experience momentary lapses of speech.”


“Sorry,” Hermione apologized, flushing slightly. “You’re right.”


Ginny rolled her eyes and returned her attention to Joanna who was smiling widely.


“Ginny,” Joanna giggled, “you know what?”


“What?”


“He couldn’t say a word. You know what that means?” she said, excitedly.


“He likes you?” Ginny said, Joanna’s smile becoming contagious.


Joanna squealed and fell backward once more. “He likes me! Oh, damn.”


“What?” Hermione asked, as Joanna sat back up again, her eyes wide, her face pale.


“He likes me. What do I do now?” she said, looking between Hermione and Ginny.


“Well, what have you done when you’ve gone out with other boys?” Hermione asked patiently.


“I don’t know,” Joanna said perplexed. “I’ve never really gone out with anyone else. No one has ever made me feel like he does.”


“A complete idiot?” Ginny teased gently.


Joanna giggled. “Yeah. What do I do?” she asked. “I can’t even form an intelligent sentence around him!”


Ginny took a deep breath and pasted an encouraging smile onto her face.


“Wish him a Happy Christmas,” Ginny said. “And see if you can catch him under some low hanging mistletoe.”


“Ginny!” Joanna exclaimed, blushing.


“What?” Ginny grinned. “You don’t have to say anything under mistletoe!”



++++




Anna tightened the belt of her robe around her middle and turned from her desk. Pushing the rug on her office floor back with her toe, Anna held her wand over the passageway entrance.


”Wingardium Leviosa.”


Anna levitated the section of flooring up and over the side. Gently setting it on top of the rug, she lit her wand and leaned over to peer into the passageway.


“Hello, Harry.”


Harry’s head came into view, his surprised eyes meeting hers.


“How’d you know…” Harry’s voice trailed off as he climbed the stairs.


“Harry, I’m a tomb raider,” Anna replied, smiling indulgently. “Knowing how to determine if someone or something is sneaking up on you is a job requirement. No one ever wants to be surprised by an irate, half wrapped mummy. For starters, underneath all those wrapping, they begin to sweat when they get angry. Century old perspiration is not pleasant.”


“Uh, yeah,” Harry said, brushing off his jeans and straightening up.


“So,” Anna said, crossing her arms in front of her. “I’m guessing you’re not here to discuss this, but I have to ask. How long have you known you’re a Legilimens?”


Harry flushed and looked at the toes of his trainers. “I’m not,” he started. “Well, I mean I’m not trained. Professor Bor “ Nathan and Dumbledore are helping me with Occlumency. We haven’t worked on Legilimency.”


“Have you told them you are capable of it?” Anna asked curiously.


Harry shook his head.


“You might want to,” Anna said, slipping her hands in the pockets of her robes. “Otherwise you’re going to be learning a whole lot about me you might not want to know.”


Harry nodded, his eyes on his shoes. He looked up when he felt a light touch on his elbow.


“That was a joke, Harry,” Anna said, smiling softly. “I’m capable of guarding my thoughts when I need to be. It’s my mouth that I seem to have issues with.”


“Oh,” Harry said, looking back over his shoulder at the open passageway, wondering if this had really been a good idea or not.


“Harry, how about I get some tea and you can tell me why you’re here,” Anna said gently. “Go have a seat by the fire. I’ll be right in.”


Harry nodded and followed Anna out of the office. As Anna turned to the left, he turned right and entered the cozy sitting room, falling into a chair to the side of the hearth. The fire was burning brightly, casting happy strands of flickering light over the room. The warmth enveloped him like a blanket and Harry soon found his eyelids growing heavy. He jerked as Anna set a mug next to him.


“Milk?” she asked, holding out a glass bottle.


“Thanks,” Harry said, taking the bottle from her and adding some to his tea.


Anna sat down and wrapped her hands around her mug. “So, Harry, even as Head Boy, I’m assuming you’re breaking a good five rules by keeping me company. Care to tell me why?” she asked, taking a sip.


Harry inhaled the smell of warm tea and milk mixed with burning wood and cozy cottage, and exhaled, his shoulders deflating and his face falling.


“I need to get Ginny a Christmas present,” he said, his eyes gazing hopelessly at the fire.


“And?” Anna prompted, after a few moments of silence.


“And I want it to be special and I simply have no idea what to get her and I was thinking she might have said something to you and I wanted to ask you when she wasn’t around and I was just hoping you might have an idea “ if she said anything, maybe?”


Anna bit the inside of her cheek to keep from smiling. Leaning over she patted Harry’s knee. “Breathe, Harry,” she teased gently. “We’ll figure this out.”


Harry looked hopefully at Anna. Anna smiled back. Harry sunk gratefully back into his chair and breathed.


“Ginny hasn’t expressed any wish to me,” Anna said, sitting back and tapping her fingers on the side of her mug. “So, let’s start with some basic romantic gestures “ flowers, chocolates, poetry ““


“No!” Harry exclaimed, startling Anna. “No poetry. No books. Nothing that comes in a book.”


“O-kay,” Anna said amused. “Muggles do this thing called a tattoo, perhaps you’ve heard of them? But then again,” Anna said, tilting her head to the side and glancing up at Harry’s forehead, “you’ve got enough permanent markings on your body already, don’t you,” she commented, setting her mug down on the floor by her feet and leaning forward, clasping her hands together.


If anything, she could empathize with Harry’s plight. It had taken weeks for her to figure out what to get Nathan for Christmas. She had sat, staring at a similar fire, thinking of what Nathan liked, going around in a circle, over and over. The man liked books. The man owned his own bookstore. The man liked books. At the point of giving up, she had realigned her thinking. Maybe that was what Harry needed to do, too.


“Harry,” Anna said, turning to face him, “what do you think of when you think of Ginny?”


Harry coughed on the sip of tea he’d just taken making Anna laugh.


“No, don’t tell me,” Anna said, waving her hands in front of her. “You - just you - need to know that. But really, think of that for a moment and see if it helps.”


Harry set his mug down and rested his elbows on his knees, his chin in his hands. He watched the fire, the golds and reds, reaching up, twisting, turning, sparking. It reminded him of Ginny’s hair. He felt the warmth wash over him, coaxing his eyelids closed again, as the comforting silence lulled him to relax. His eyes closed and he thought of Ginny.


Anna’s eyes twinkled as she watched a smile play around the corners of Harry’s mouth. His eyes opened and he grinned.


“Got it?” Anna said, raising her eyebrows, attempting to stifle a yawn with the back of her hand.


“Got it!” Harry exclaimed.


“Good,” Anna said, with a definite nod of her head. “I’ll make sure to ask her when I see her after the holidays.”


“Are you going somewhere?” Harry asked as he followed Anna back to her office.


“No, I’m here. I assumed you would be, though. Aren’t you going to go to be with the Weasleys?”


“No, Ginny’s parents are going to visit Charlie so we’re staying at Hogwarts,” Harry shrugged.


“Really?” Anna paused, the wheels turning. “I wonder if Professor Dumbledore would allow you to come here for Christmas dinner? I was going to see if Nathan wanted to come. Do you think you might want to, as well? I could invite Bill and the twins, too, although I’m not sure where I would put everyone,” Anna said, biting her thumbnail. “The wards are in place, and we’re right by the castle should anything happen….” Anna looked expectantly at Harry who grinned.


“Will you have tarts?”


“What flavor?” Anna asked, bouncing up and down on her heels in excitement. Before she could stop it, a yawn escaped and she giggled. “Go,” Anna waved at Harry. “I have a big day tomorrow. I have a menu to plan and a Headmaster to sweet talk. Good night, Harry.”


“Good night, Anna,” Harry said, from the bottom of the steps, lighting his wand and heading back toward the castle.


Humming, Anna levitated the passage cover back in place and kicked the rug over it.



+++++


A/N “ My thanks to wvchemteach who thought Neville deserved a bond, too “ as always, a wonderful idea.


To Anya for catching everything my eyes don’t “ thank you!
Holiday Surprises by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from Harry Potter.



Holiday Surprises





Harry rolled over, his eyes opening suddenly, his heart tugging toward the door. He sat up and reached for his glasses. He wasn’t panicked. His heart wasn’t racing. He felt calm and warm and happy. It was Christmas morning. He could hear the snorts, snuffles and snores coming from Ron’s bed. He could tell from the crack in his bed curtains it was early. He didn’t know why he had all of sudden woken up. He couldn’t remember being in the middle a particularly bad dream or anything. All he had was this intense urge to follow his heart strings.


Casting a cursory glance at the pile of gifts at the end of his bed, Harry pushed aside the bed curtains, kicked his covers off and swung his legs over the side of his bed. He then reached down for a pair of socks and pulled them on before setting his feet on the cold stone floor. Grabbing a jumper from the top of his trunk and his wand from the table by his bed, Harry slowly crept to the dormitory door and pushed it open.


Ginny was standing on the other side, wrapped in her dressing gown, her bonding hand held in front of her, her palm flat. Her eyes were closed and her mouth moved as she mumbled something. Harry’s heart swelled at the sight of her slightly fuzzy hair, her cheeks still flushed with sleep, the indent from the piping on her pillow crossing just in front of her ear. Harry held his palm up to hers and wove their fingers together. Ginny opened her right eye and grinned at him.


“It worked!” she exclaimed happily.


“What worked?” Harry said, leaning forward to give her a soft kiss. He chuckled as Ginny giggled.


“The pull “ you woke up, didn’t you?” she said, bouncing up and down on her heels.


“That was you?” Harry said, looking over his shoulder as if to see if she had cast a line or rope of some sort at his bed.


Ginny nodded. “I’ve been working on that with Professor Borgin. It’s seeing if we can connect without touching. Kind of like communicating without words. Cool, huh?”


“Yeah,” Harry grinned, pulling her into a hug. “Just any reason why you had to do it at…” Harry lifted his arm up behind her head to glance at his watch, “six-eighteen on Christmas morning?”


“Yes,” Ginny said, standing on her tip toes to nuzzle Harry’s neck. “I wanted to give you the opportunity to give me my Christmas present while I was awake and not surrounded by the rest of my family.”


Ginny could feel Harry’s chest rumble against her own and pulled back.


“And you think I got you a gift?” Harry grinned.


“I think you’re a smart boy, so yes,” Ginny replied cheekily. “But if you didn’t, that’s alright. I’ll just tell my brothers I got you something and you couldn’t be bothered with getting a gift for me and we’ll see where you end up eating Christmas dinner. I would wear extra layers. It’s been snowing, you know.”


Harry chuckled. “In that case, it’s a good thing I got you something. And I do appreciate the opportunity to give it to you when you’re not falling asleep on top of me. Although, that might not be all that bad of a gift either…” Harry ducked the swat that came his way by stepping back toward his room. “I’ll be right back.” Popping back into his room, Harry reached into his open trunk and pulled out a box the size a baker would put a double layer cake in, wrapped in plain red foil paper with a white bow. He tucked it under his arm and rejoined Ginny in the hall.


“Come on,” Ginny said, eyeing the gift appreciatively as she grabbed his hand and tugged him down the stairs. “There’s a fire set and Dobby sent up pastries and tea,” she said, leading the way.


“Really?” Harry said, warming up to the idea of an hour or two of snuggling with Ginny in front of the fire in the deserted Gryffindor common room.


“Really,” Ginny said plopping down on the sofa. “Anything for Harry Potter, you know.”


Harry grinned as he sunk back into the pillows, dropped the box on the floor and pulled Ginny against him. “I like this,” he said, placing a kiss on the top of her head.


“Hmmm,” Ginny murmured into his chest as her fingers reached out for the package. Hooking her finger through a bow loop, she pulled it up as if it were a fish she was reeling in. Sitting back, she crossed her legs on the couch, and tucked the present in the middle.


“No patience, you,” Harry commented, dryly.


“Not when it comes to presents,” Ginny said honestly. “But first, you.”


Reaching into her dressing gown pocket, Ginny pulled out a small, flat square box, wrapped in brown paper and tied with a simple brown ribbon. She held it in her hands for a moment, her bottom lip caught between her teeth, before holding it out to him.


“Happy Christmas, Harry,” she said, smiling tentatively.


Curious, Harry took the present and pulled the end of the bow. The ribbon slid off into his lap and was quickly followed by the brown wrapping. Harry lifted the lid of the box. Nestled inside was a woven strip of color, browns, reds, golds and greens, woven in a pattern so they blended together and became one. Harry lifted the band out of the box and held it up.


“You made this,” he said wondrously, examining both sides of it.


Ginny nodded, scooting forward pointing at the colors. “It’s a bond bracelet. In ancient times, when bonds were a tad more common, Mediators would make these for their bonds so people would know who was bonded to whom. The colors would represent their family crests,” Ginny flushed slightly as she continued. “I looked up your family crest and mine and…”


“Will you put it on me?” Harry asked, holding the silk and his wrist out to her.


Ginny nodded, taking the braid and wrapping it around his wrist. “You know, I’m the only one who can ever take this off you,” Ginny said, as she touched her wand to the ends.


“Is that a Mediator thing?” Harry asked, watching in fascination as the threads magically wove themselves together.


“Uh, no,” Ginny said, sitting back. “That is a girlfriend thing.”


Harry grinned and admired the band on his wrist. Warmth seemed to radiate from his wrist, up his arm and throughout his chest. He felt as if the fire Dobby had laid in the fireplace had jumped into his heart and was warming him up from the inside out. His eyes widened in wonder. “Is this charmed?” he whispered.


Ginny smiled and winked at him. “My turn,” she said, ripping the wrapping on the box in her lap. Throwing the paper to the floor, Ginny carefully lifted the box lid up and gasped. A rainbow spilled forth as ribbons of every width, length and color covered Ginny’s legs with their shimmering softness. Ginny reached into the box and let the hair ribbons fall between her fingers and run down her arms. She thought her chest would burst with matching color as tears gathered in her eyes.


“You gave me our bond,” Ginny whispered in wonder.


“No,” Harry said, picking up a red ribbon and fingering it, “you gave me our bond,” he said softly. “And for that, no gift would come close to saying how much that means to me. Happy Christmas, Gin.”


Harry leaned forward to meet Ginny half way as they melted together, a sea of color sliding and slipping between them, around them and through them.


+++++


Anna stood in the middle of her kitchen, surveying her handiwork. Tucking a stray brown curl behind her ear, she exhaled. The minced pies were done; the turkey full of her best hazelnut stuffing was roasting; the potatoes were peeled and waiting to be boiled. The butter was softening, the salt dishes were filled and the chocolate sauce was bubbling merrily on the stove.


Climbing the two steps up from her kitchen, Anna crossed the hallway into her sitting room. She smiled giddily at the tree Nathan had forced through her front door yesterday. It was much too large for her small cottage but Nathan had insisted, claiming no tree was too large for such an important holiday - then he cut off the bottom two feet. The tree with its star slightly skewed to the right as it brushed the ceiling, was decorated with twinkling fairy lights, strung cranberries and peppermint twists.


She moved to inspect the tables which only fit in the sitting room because the rest of her furniture had been removed. She brushed an imaginary crumb off the crisp white tablecloths, adjusted one of the sprigs of holly leaves that lined the middle, and straightened a barely crooked red candle in a polished silver candlestick. She then reached for the box of Christmas Crackers she had set out earlier.


Anna had promised Filch two dozen tarts in exchange for two tables and matching chairs from his storeroom. Filch had told her he wasn’t allowed to loan out school property to non-staff members. Anna had returned the next day with a plate of homemade shortbread, lemon tarts and gingerbread which she left on his desk. The tables had been delivered to her house that afternoon with a note telling her to forget the rest, just send gingerbread.


After placing Christmas Crackers at the top of each place setting, Anna rested her hands on her hips and counted the seats - one for Nathan, herself, Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione (who had opted to stay at Hogwarts for the holidays to study for NEWTs), Bill, Fleur, Fred and George. Bill had approached her about sending a note to his brother Percy. He had said if she didn’t mind a little awkwardness, he would appreciate it if she would invite him, too. Anna had been more than happy to do so. Then, two days ago, Nathan had stopped by to ask is she minded adding two more seats for Neville Longbottom and Joanna Blevins. Sighing, she readjusted the menu, and had added two more seats.


It had been snowing for three days now. As beautiful as the whiteness was, it had played havoc with Anna getting everything ready for this dinner. Of course, she couldn’t blame all the delays of the holiday on the weather or the ever expanding guest list. After inviting Bill and the twins, she had been bombarded with questions, suggestions and menu ideas. Last Tuesday, she hid away in a conference room in an attempt to get some work done, but even then, Bill still managed to find her. Having been a little under the weather for several days, Anna had been in no mood to deal with more requests and had told him in no uncertain terms if he kept bugging her, she would set him on fire instead of the Christmas pudding.


The requests had stopped coming after that, until yesterday when she had received an owl from Bill. He had charmed it so she couldn’t destroy it without reading it first. She gave him points for that. His letter had said his parents’ plans had changed and his father needed to stay in town for Ministry business. Bill wrote his parents would never dream of inviting themselves at such short notice so he had taken it into his own hands to ask if she minded. Anna had laughed rather hysterically. When she calmed down, she sent an owl back to Bill saying it would be fine. Then she sent one to his parents with a formal invitation. Lastly, Anna had sent a pot of lemon sauce for the gingerbread to Filch who had sent over two more chairs.


Adjusting one of those newly added chairs and stepping back, Anna observed the room and her heart dropped into her stomach like a lump of coal.


“Oh, crap!” she muttered. “I set my mother’s table.”


Wrinkling her nose, Anna pulled her wand out of her apron pocket. With a wave, the white table cloth was replaced with a burgundy table runner, leaving the scarred brown wood underneath bare to warm up the table. Matching burgundy placemats cushioned the plates. Candlesticks were replaced with pillar candles on trivets. Holly transfigured into cranberry strands. She left the Christmas Crackers alone.


Anna nodded happily at the much cozier tables. Stretching out her wand, she muttered, “Incendio.” The pillar candle in the middle glowed, spreading warm light across the place settings.


“Much better,” Anna murmured before a chilled wind blew across her neck, over the table, extinguishing the flame. “Oh, shut it, Mum!” Anna exclaimed, rolling her eyes at the ceiling and relighting the wick as she heard a knock at the door. Anna glanced at her watch. A half hour early. Anna exhaled and untied her apron as she headed to the door.


Peeking through the window, she saw a face she didn’t recognize, but a head of red hair that could only belong to a Weasley. A stir of holiday excitement began to force the stress up and out of her system and she smiled as she opened the door.


“Happy Christmas!” Anna exclaimed, holding out her hand and stepping back. “I’m Anna. You must be Percy.”


“Uh, yes, I am,” Percy said, taking Anna’s hand and shaking it firmly. “Thank you for inviting me. I’m sorry I’m early, I just…”


Percy’s voice trailed off as he stood on the mat, his hands clutched together in front of him, his eyes nervously looking anywhere but at Anna as if he might escape at any moment. Anna’s heart melted a little at Percy’s apprehension and she smiled reassuringly.


“You aren’t early,” she said, motioning him to come in. “You’re right on time. I needed a quality controller.”


“A quality controller?” Percy asked, unclasping his cloak.


“Yes, here, you can hang your cloak on the back of the door. A quality controller has the most important role in the kitchen,” Anna said, over her shoulder as she led the way down the two steps into the kitchen. “It is the quality controller’s responsibility to make sure I’m not poisoning anyone.”


Anna’s words caused Percy to stop short and not duck. His forehead met the top of the door jam with a solid thunk.


“Oh, heavens!” Anna exclaimed, hurrying over to Percy who was wincing and pressing the palm of his hand to his forehead. “I was joking about the poisoning part!” Anna said, reaching up for Percy’s hand and pulling it gently away from his head. “Here, press this to your forehead. It will help.”


Anna held out a lumpy cloth to Percy who took it uncertainly. “It’s ice,” Anna said, smiling. “Muggle remedy but quite effective. Believe me, I know.”


Looking at Anna like she was a little batty, Percy slowly raised the ice pack to his forehead, wincing at the sudden cold, and then relaxing as blissful numbness took over.


“Here, Percy, have a seat over here at the table. I’ll get you something to drink. Pumpkin juice? Tea? I have some cider warming, too, if you’d prefer,” Anna said, her eyes apologetic.


“Tea would be nice,” Percy said, brushing a drip of water from his cheek and scooting onto the bench that surrounded Anna’s kitchen table. Turning his attention away from Anna making tea, he looked around the kitchen, soaking in the smells of Christmas dinner, the lists of parchment affixed to the front of the cupboards, the serving bowls and platters set out with their corresponding serving spoons or forks just waiting to be filled. As another drip of water melted down his cheek, Percy relaxed. Something about the level of organization spoke to him and made him feel comfortable. He smiled at Anna in appreciation as she placed a steaming mug of tea in front of him.


“You’re melting,” Anna noted, holding out her hand. “Numb?”


“Uh, yes, thank you,” Percy nodded, handing her the drippy bundle.


“You’re welcome,” Anna smiled at Percy.


“So, what am I supposed to be quality controlling?” Percy asked.


“Oh, here, chocolate sauce,” Anna said, whirling around to pick up a spoon and dipping it into a double boiler on the stovetop. “It’s for the cream puffs. I’ll warn you, I always burn mine. Tell me what you think?” she said holding out the chocolate coated spoon.


Percy smiled, reached out for the spoon and tasted it. He swallowed hard and tried not to grimace.


“Water?” Anna asked wrinkling her nose.


“Water,” Percy squeaked.


+++++


Joanna perched on the edge of one of the high backed chairs in the common room. She had settled on the perch after five minutes of experimentation. Standing behind the chair, she had seemed posed. Leaning back in the chair, with her legs crossed, made her feel like a spider waiting for a fly to crawl into her web. She had tried sitting forward, her elbows on her knees, her chin resting on her hands. She decided she had looked bored. And waiting for Neville was anything but boring. In the end, she had settled on the perch, her hands clasped in her lap, her mind concentrating on keeping her right heel from tapping nervously on the stone floor.


Joanna flip-flopped her thumbs as she thought of her conversations with Neville over the past few days. The term conversation might be stretching things a little for describing the interaction between them, but words had been exchanged, blushing smiles traded and an agreement for her to accompany Neville for Christmas dinner had been reached. In Joanna’s mind, this was progress.


Joanna glanced at her watch. She was early. She had known she was early. She was always early. Being late was one of her biggest pet peeves - that and an unmade bed. She was early to everything she did - classes, meals, study groups. Being early gave her time to scope out the situation, to get her bearings and to think. Her two older sisters, both Ravenclaws, had somehow managed to inherit her father’s intelligence, wit and talent for living life in an impromptu manner. Joanna was more like her mother “ definitely intelligent, definitely loyal, definitely not afraid to jump into the fray. However, Joanna always felt more confident jumping in if she had space and time to determine the best course of action first.


Sitting in the common room, Joanna pressed her palm against her bouncing knee. Heavens, she was nervous. She had never seriously fancied a boy before. Her sisters had brought boys home all the time. In fact, her oldest sister Amanda was getting married this coming summer to Anthony Lender, a fellow Ravenclaw who had been in her year at Hogwarts. Sara’s latest flirting adventure was with Thomas Selkirk, her father’s assistant at the Ministry. And Joanna “ well, her parents never pressed her, but her mother had a way with dropping hints that told her they wondered if she would ever at least have a passing fancy for anyone.


Being her older sisters, Amanda and Sara were much less subtle with their remarks.



”She’s waiting for Mr. Perfect,” Amanda teased.


“Mr. Perfect? How about we go for Mr. I’m Breathing?” Sara argued.


“No, Sara, that’s you,” Amanda said cheekily.


“Right,” Joanna nodded, “I’m a little pickier.”


“Little?” Sara squeaked incredulously. “You’ve never brought a boy home! I mean, have you even kissed a boy? Been caught in a broom cupboard? Had your hair mussed up? That’s what life is all about, Joanna. Not what kind of root will cure Boiling Ash Rot!”




Joanna loved her sisters, but they just didn’t seem to understand she lacked the thing they seemed to possess in abundance - the ability to feel comfortable in her own skin. It was hard to be comfortable when you felt like an idiot. But with Neville, it was different. She was willing to be an idiot to get what she wanted when what she wanted was him. It was as if she just didn’t care anymore. There was something in her middle that told her she needed to win Neville Longbottom for herself and decent lack of vocabulary be damned, she was going to do it! And then this past week, the stars had aligned and it appeared as if he had been put under the same spell. The thought made her smile. And her knee bounce.


“Argh!” Joanna muttered, pressing her hands on her knee.


“Did you say something?” Harry asked as he passed by the back of the chair on his way up the stairs to the boys’ dormitory.


“Oh! Harry! I didn’t see you come through “ ah, the portrait hole,” Joanna said, smiling weakly. “No, I didn’t say anything.”


“Alright,” Harry said, “I just forgot my scarf upstairs. I think everyone is meeting in the Entrance Hall in a few. I’ll see you down there.”


“Yeah,” Joanna nodded, “I’ll see you in a few.”


Harry almost ran into Neville who was standing still, three steps up from the bottom, plastered to the wall. He was staring straight ahead, his hands clutched around a brightly wrapped parcel and a scrunched up handkerchief.


“Neville?” Harry asked, stopping across from him. “Are you alright?”


Neville nodded, biting his bottom lip. Harry noticed he was wearing a jumper that looked new and his shoes had been polished. Harry even thought he might have trimmed up his hair a bit.


“You know Joanna’s waiting for you?” Harry said helpfully.


Neville nodded again, visibly swallowing, mechanically swiping the handkerchief across his brow.


“How long have you been standing here?” Harry asked, his eyes filled with concern for his very pale, slightly sweaty friend.


“Ten minutes, maybe,” Neville whispered. “Harry, have you seen her? She’s beautiful.”


Harry stared at Neville, fighting to keep a straight face. He remembered this feeling and it still amazed him he ever got past it. And knowing what he knew about Neville and Joanna, he gave up trying to hide the grin and placed his hand on Neville’s shoulder. Gently, Harry pulled Neville away from the wall and turned him toward the common room.


“Go,” he said, giving him a gentle push.


Neville automatically stepped down onto the next step and looked back. Harry waved his hand at him and mouthed, “Go!” Neville nodded, swallowed, breathed deep and stepped down again.


Joanna felt his presence before she heard him step onto the stone floor. She looked up and there was Neville, standing at the bottom of the stairs, a flat package clasped in his hands. She swallowed and stood up, nervously tucking a stray strand of blonde hair behind her ear.


“Hi, Neville,” she said, blushing profusely.


“Hi,” he said, clearing his throat and stepping forward. “Uh, here, this is for you. Happy Christmas.”


“Oh!” Joanna exclaimed, accepting the parcel he held out. “Th-thank you. You didn’t need to do this.”


“No “ yes. Yes, I did,” Neville stuttered. “You gave me a gift. I thought I should get you something “ I wanted to get you something. You deserve something. You look nice.”


Joanna bit her bottom lip, her eyes on the flat, rectangular package in her hands. Neville thought her cheeks were the most beautiful shade of pink he’d ever seen. He didn’t even notice that she had removed the wrapping paper on the gift he had given her until he heard her snort.


“Oh!” Joanna said, her eyes wide with embarrassment and mirth, her hand clasped over her mouth. “I’m sorry! I couldn’t help it.”


It took a moment to register that Joanna’s snort had been laughter. As he stood there, Neville realized her shoulders were shaking and giggles were coming out from in between the fingers still covering her mouth. He had made her laugh. And it wasn’t at him. Neville suddenly felt as if his whole being was filled with light.


“You like it then?” he asked, his mouth curling up into a wide smile.


Nodding, Joanna dropped her hand, laughter tumbling out, washing over the both of them, chasing their awkwardness away to go play in the snow. “I love it, Neville. Thank you.”


“You’re welcome,” Neville said pleased. “I thought, just in case, you know.”


Joanna giggled again. “I’ll just go put it on my bed. I’ll be right down,” she said, hugging the gift to her chest and walking backward toward the steps, her smile never wavering, her eyes locked with Neville’s.


“Oh, Joanna, sorry,” Harry exclaimed, almost running into her on his way down from the boys’ dormitory.


“Harry! No, my fault,” Joanna said, spinning around. “Sorry! I’ll be right down.”


Harry glanced over at Neville’s face and laughed. “So, she liked the gift?”


“Yeah,” Neville said flushing.


“What did you end up getting her?” Harry asked, throwing his scarf around his neck.


“Uh, St. Mungo’s Guide to Curing Plant Induced Ailments,” Neville answered. “I thought it might come in handy.”



Harry chuckled. “She’s a lucky girl, Neville,” he said as he climbed out the portrait hole.


“Who’s lucky?” Joanna asked, reentering the common room.


“I am,” Neville answered, smiling at her. “I am.”



+++++



“So, Percy,” Arthur Weasley said, cutting into a piece of roast turkey, “what have you been up to?”


Anna’s eyes widened. Her little cottage hadn’t been this quiet all day. All eyes turned to the young wizard sitting to her right. She had placed him there, not knowing the entire story, but knowing enough to realize a buffer space might not be a bad thing. Up to this point, the afternoon had been going quite well. Percy’s initial reception had been cool, as was to be expected, but Anna had noticed the awkwardness was not based in hostility. It sprung out of desire to move on but not knowing really how. Molly had blasted through the discomfort by enveloping Percy in a smothering hug.


As they had sat down, conversation had centered on food related compliments and moved onto requests for passing certain dishes to and fro. The pop of Christmas crackers and the toasting of glasses was followed by the murmuring of appreciation of a well prepared meal. A bite of stuffing hanging half way to her mouth, Anna’s eyes traveled around the table uncertainly, finally landing on Percy who was taking a sip of wine.


“I am still at the Ministry,” Percy answered, glancing around the table.


“Are you still going out with Penelope?” Ginny asked curiously.


Color flooded Percy’s cheeks as he cleared his throat. “Yes, Penelope and I are still going out.”


“Oh, Percy, you should have said something,” Anna said. “She would have been more than welcome to join us.”


“Uh, thank you, Anna,” Percy answered, “but she wanted to spend today with her family.”


“Give her our best,” Arthur said.


“I will, thank you,” Percy said, nodding appreciatively at his father.



“What did you get Penelope for Christmas?” Bill asked.


“Fred, check out that color,” George commented, elbowing his brother.


“He’s as red as the cranberries,” Fred agreed.


Percy coughed, and lifted his napkin to his lips.


“I’m sorry, I didn’t catch that, dear,” Molly said.


Percy lowered his napkin and placed it back in his lap. His eyes on his hands which were in his lap, Percy mumbled.


“I’m sorry?” Molly said, leaning forward.


“An engagement ring,” Percy said, his eyes closed, his cheeks flaming.


Silence fell for barely a second before Molly squealed. Shoving her chair back, she charged around the table and enveloped her son in his second bone crushing hug of the day.


“Mum, I can’t breathe,” Percy croaked.


“Sorry, Percy, but you’re due,” Bill commented, grinning widely. “Congratulations.”


“She said yes?” Fred asked grinning.


“Well, I’ll be,” George said, honestly delighted as Percy nodded.


“We are very happy for you, son,” Arthur said, stretching his hand over the table toward Percy. Percy looked at it for a split second, over Molly’s head, before reaching out and shaking it firmly.


“Thank you, sir.”


Happiness flooded the sitting room, and conversation eventually moved onto other topics.


“So, Anna,” Arthur said, turning his attention away from his son, “I hear you are a past student of Hogwarts.”


“Uh, yes, I was “ I am. I was only able to attend for a year, my fourth, but I have fond memories.”


“You met Nathan there, didn’t you,” Bill asked, obviously fishing for dirt.


“Yes, Bill, I did,” Anna answered, slowly, as if Bill was a little slow on the uptake. To the rest of the table, she said, “I was a fourth year, a few years behind Nathan.”


“ ’ow did you meet?” Fleur asked, reaching for a helping of stuffing.


“I first met him when I was lost in the dungeons on my first day. But then, I suppose our formal introduction later that same day was courtesy of Harry’s mum,” Anna said, smiling at Harry.


“You were friends with Lily and James?” Molly asked.


“Well, more Lily than James. You couldn’t really know Lily without knowing James, though, as she seemed to be a magnet for him,” Anna replied.


“So, how did she introduce you?” Harry asked, his voice cracking a little at the question.


Anna smiled at Harry as she propped elbows on the table in front of her and her chin on her hands. “Nathan was a Slytherin and a very handsome one at that ““


“Hello, I’m in the room,” Nathan said, his cheeks warming. “I don’t suppose you could limit the story to the facts?”


“Those are the facts, Nathan,” Anna said, winking at him. “You were a Slytherin and you were very handsome. Professor Dumbledore assigned Nathan to give me a tour of the school “ I believe he was serving detention at the time for creating a type of floating blimp like bubble that could be charmed to explode over a desired target and ““


“Really?” Fred asked leaning forward.


“On target?” George asked awed.


“Achieving the right thickness of bubble that could float and carry something was the tricky part,” Nathan nodded enthusiastically. “We tried to make the whole thing invisible, but realized doing that made the bubble unstable. We hadn’t figured that out, though, before we tried to float one through the Great Hall with a hair growth potion in it. Unfortunately the bubble burst right over Professor Larkin, the Ancient Runes professor at the time,” Nathan chuckled at the memory. “The poor woman looked like an overgrown hair ball.”


“Professor McGonagall,” Anna continued over the laughter, “asked Lily to show me to the Headmaster’s office. Along the way, Lily was kind enough to offer to show me the rest of the school. Now, as your mother used to describe it, Harry, Dumbledore entered his office followed by Nathan at which time I ceased to function. She said my eyes glazed over, my mouth dropped open and I grabbed her hand so hard I left marks. Lily suddenly suffered a dramatic fit of coughing and excused herself to the Hospital Wing and Nathan, for his detention,” Anna continued, “was assigned to show me the school. Lily, of course, recovered quickly and we became fast friends.”


“And then you taught her how to set her bed on fire,” Nathan commented dryly.


“What?” Hermione asked.


Anna chuckled. “Oh, I’d forgotten about that!”


“What happened?” Ginny asked, glancing at Harry who was grinning.


“Well, Lily helped get me up to speed in some of my studies “ seeing as I was being taught by my parents, there were some subjects I excelled at such as Charms and Ancient Runes, but others where I was dismally behind, like History of Magic and Potions. In exchange for letting me use her notes, I offered to teach her a few hexes,” Anna said, taking a sip of water. “The first few, she had no problem with.”


“If I recall, James walked around shocking people for a week because of one hex you taught her,” Nathan said. “It was hard to miss, him sitting in the middle of the Gryffindor table, at least five meters empty space on either side, sparks shooting off him in all directions.”


Anna smiled in satisfaction at the memory and winked at Ginny. “I’ll teach you that one, too,” she loudly whispered. “It’s a good one.” Turning to the rest of the table, she continued. “There is a tribe of ancient people called the Ignigenas who inhabited caves in the Himalayas. The Ignigenas believed life and death came from fire. Fire was the root of all goodness and also all evil and therefore was revered and worshipped. It was also a deadly tool of force they used in many a protective charm on their tombs.


“My parents spent a year studying the ways of the Ignigenas, and along the way, I picked up a good working knowledge of fire hexes and charms. Unfortunately, a ‘working knowledge’ is a bit different than ‘practical knowledge’, as Professor McGonagall pointed out through the smoke and ash that filled our dorm,” Anna said, chuckling. “As part of our punishment, Professor McGonagall banned us from charming the smoke smell out of our hair and clothes for a week.


“So, I don’t recommend trying to place a fire wall around your bed. Those velvet curtains are flammable,” Anna said with a straight face before turning to smile at Harry. “Your mother was one of my best friends while I was at Hogwarts. She had such a big heart. She could tell right off the bat I was lonely and missing my parents and felt like a fish out of water. I was sorry to have lost track of her when I left Hogwarts, but to be honest, my youth had taught me keeping friends was painful,” Anna sighed. “I was honored to be your mother’s friend, Harry. Your heart reminds me of her.”


Harry felt Ginny’s hand cover his and squeeze. He felt his heart constrict slightly and then ease. He nodded his thanks to Anna. Anna turned to smile at Nathan who was grinning widely at her.


“What?” she asked.


“That tour - I just thought you were quiet,” Nathan replied.


Anna laughed, shaking her head. “I couldn’t form a coherent sentence around you until years later,” she admitted.


Joanna almost choked on the bite of roll she had in her mouth. Neville patted her between the shoulder blades. Molly offered her a glass of water. Ginny giggled. And conversation swelled again as wedding topics were discussed and then put aside for business updates on the joke shop then Gringotts and school. Platters and bowls emptied, glasses refilled, and seconds and thirds consumed. Pushing her chair back, Molly picked up the stuffing bowl and basket that held hard rolls and carried them into the kitchen for refills.


Harry leaned over and whispered in Ginny’s ear, “You should go talk to her.” Ginny’s eyes glanced tentatively toward the kitchen then back at Harry. “Gin, she loves you. She wants what’s best for you,” Harry said softly.


“I know,” Ginny said, setting her napkin beside her plate. Leaning over, she gave Harry a kiss on the cheek. “Thank you for reminding me,” she whispered back as she reached for the empty pitcher of pumpkin juice and followed her mother.


“Percy certainly looks happy, doesn’t he?” Molly commented, as Ginny set the pitcher down on the cupboard.


”Yes, he does,” Ginny replied.


“You look happy, too, dear,” Molly said quietly.


Ginny stopped refilling the pitcher and turned to look at her mum. “I am happy, Mum.”


“I’m glad,” Molly replied, picking up the refilled stuffing bowl and bread basket and heading toward the door.


“Mum?”


“Yes?”


Ginny paused, unsure of what she wanted to say. Then, it just came. “Mum, if the offer is still open, Harry and I would like to come to the Burrow for the summer.”


Molly stopped, her back to her daughter. She smiled and turned. “There will always be a place for you and Harry at the Burrow,” she said sincerely.


“Thank you, Mum,” Ginny answered, coming to stand in front of her mother.


Molly placed her free hand on Ginny’s cheek and sighed, smiling, blinking away a tear or two.



+++++




“Hey,” Harry said, coming up behind Ginny and placing a hand on her shoulder. “Hiding?”


Ginny smiled and turned into Harry’s arms. “Yeah,” she said, leaning her cheek against his shoulder. “Actually, Anna said she had a new book to loan me and told me it was in here on her desk. I wanted to make sure I didn’t forget it.”


“Neville and Joanna look happy,” Harry commented, smiling into her hair.


Ginny giggled. “I’m not sure they’ve noticed any of the rest of us are here.”


“Or stopped smiling,” Harry noted.


“Remember those days?” Ginny asked, her eyes twinkling.


“Yup, as if it was yesterday. And today. And most likely tomorrow.”


“Doesn’t bother you a bit, does it?” Ginny said.


“Nope,” Harry grinned, shaking his head.


“Hey you two,” Nathan said, popping his head in the study. “Anna wanted to know if you found the book, Ginny?”


“No, I was distracted,” Ginny said smiling, stepping back from Harry who blushed slightly.


Nathan chuckled. “I can imagine.”


“Professor - Neville and Joanna?” Ginny asked.


Nathan stepped into the office and closed the door behind him. “They seem well suited,” he said. “You haven’t said anything?”


Both Ginny and Harry shook their heads.


“And they still don’t know about your bond, right?”


Ginny and Harry nodded.


“Let’s give them a day or two, to get used to each other. Then we’ll talk to them,” Nathan said.


“Me, too?” Harry asked.


Nathan thought for a moment and nodded his head. “Yes, I think that might be a good idea, Harry. I have a feeling Neville might like a friend there.”


“Yeah, finding out you’re going to be stuck with someone for the rest of your life is rather daunting,” Harry said, his face straight, but his eyes smiling.


“Tell me about it,” Ginny sighed.


Nathan chuckled. “Don’t let me keep you from your distractions, but I’ll warn you, Fred and George have gone looking for Ron and Hermione who have also gone off to be ‘distracted’. You’re next on their list.”


“Thanks for the warning,” Harry commented as Nathan closed the door behind him. Reaching behind Ginny for a book on the desk, Harry brought it around to his front. “Helpful Hexes for Tomb Navigation,” he read, flipping it open and thumbing though it. Finding something that caught his interest, Harry stopped flipping and began to read in earnest.


Ginny cleared her throat. “Enjoying the book?”


“Yeah,” Harry said, flipping another page.


Ginny chuckled. “Talk about your distractions,” she murmured, placing a kiss on Harry’s cheek. “I’ll go help with the dishes.”



++++++



Squelching the twinge of guilt that sprung up as she watched her guests clean up, Anna gratefully accepted a mug of tea from Molly and reflected on the events of the evening. The chocolate sauce hadn’t been able to be saved so the crème puffs had been served naked. But, judging by the crumbs left on the platter, no one seemed to mind. The roast turkey carcass was stock pot bound. Arthur had patted Anna on the shoulder and told her he would personally take care of the tarts and shortbread. Anna didn’t see a sign of that plate but could hear Arthur snoring in the sitting room where the furniture had replaced the tables and several games of strategy and skill were currently going on. A triumphant shout from the sitting room drew Anna’s attention. Percy stood off to the side, still looking a little uncertain of his place in the mix. Anna smiled as Ginny appeared by Percy’s side and tugged at his hand to come join them.


“Here,” Molly said, sliding a plate with a piece of Christmas pudding in front of Anna. “You didn’t get one.”


The smell of currants wafted up to Anna’s nose. She swallowed hard and pushed the plate away. “You know, Molly, I don’t think I will.”


Molly stopped. She looked at Anna’s slightly green twinge. She smiled.


“Have you told Nathan?” Molly asked, her eyes twinkling.



Anna’s head came up sharply. She should have figured a woman with seven children would know. Slowly Anna shook her head, her eyes never leaving Molly’s.


“I only figured it out this morning. I thought I’d tell him tonight. Fewer people, you know.”


Molly patted Anna’s shoulder and smiled comfortingly. “He’ll be thrilled, dear.”


“I hope so,” Anna said, sounding a little unsure. “I’m not sure he planned on becoming a father at forty two.”


A loud thump and the sound of breaking china came from the doorway. Nathan lay sprawled on the kitchen floor, his head resting on the bottom step, the shattered remains of the tart plate spread out around him.


“I think he knows,” Molly observed as a crowd gathered in the kitchen doorway.


“Knows what?” Ron asked, looking down at Nathan.


Anna caught Molly’s eyes and burst into a fit of giggles. Percy looked down from behind Ron and nodded.


“I’ll get the ice,” he sighed.



++++




“Good evening, Firenze. A beautiful Christmas night, is it not?”


“Good evening, Headmaster. There are those who believe the stars tonight lead to salvation.”


“If you are seeking salvation, there are worse places to look for answers than in the stars.”


“Those who seek answers should not look up. They should look within.”


“It is certainly warmer within,” Dumbledore observed, his words forming foggy clouds as he breathed.


“The stars speak of the past tonight, a past that can protect and lead us forward,” the centaur said, his eyes focused upward.


“The stars are our past,” Albus Dumbledore sighed quietly. “Happy Christmas, Firenze.”


“Happy Christmas, Headmaster.”



+++++


A/N “ To my betas, wvchemteach & Anya “ my many thanks! You guys rock!
Holes by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.



Holes





Anna leaned against the kitchen sink, a cool glass of water pressed to her cheek. Her eyes closed, she attempted to think of anything except the waves rolling up and down, back and forth in her stomach. She took a small sip of water and felt it drop into the ocean of hormone induced nausea. It sizzled and stayed. She sighed.


Madam Pomfrey told her there wasn’t anything she could do. Women had been having babies for centuries and it didn’t seem to matter if you were Muggle or magical, morning sickness was incurable. Anna snorted. Morning sickness - what a misnomer that was! Her stomach obviously had no idea how to tell time. Here it was, sometime around two in the afternoon, and she was fighting to keep a couple of soda crackers down.


Madam Pomfrey had said the intensity of morning sickness was often similar from mother to daughter. For that, Anna was grateful. She could remember her mother saying it started early with her but was done by the second trimester. Anna would be there in another four weeks or so. Setting her glass of water down on the counter, Anna let her head fall forward and concentrated on calming her stomach. She glanced down at her knuckles, white with frustration, and felt her stomach lurch again. Groaning, she placed her hand over her middle and closed her eyes.


Several minutes later, Anna felt a little more centered. Picking up her water, she wandered out of the kitchen and into the main hallway of the flat. She liked the little flat located in the West Tower, one floor below the Owlery, most likely because it was their new home, together. Nathan’s old rooms had been one floor below, but Professor Dumbledore had noted their combined libraries alone would have filled up those rooms. So, over the course of the past week, Anna, along with the help of many, had packed up her little cottage. Nathan had then packed up his flat and moved his belonging upstairs along with hers. The only thing left to do with her little cottage was a bit of spot cleaning and changing the unlocking charms on the door.


Anna crossed the hallway and sat down in front of the fireplace. She leaned back, enjoying the warm glow of the embers on her face. Their slipping into cohabitation had gone rather smoothly, all things considered. When he had sat up on the kitchen floor, surrounded by suspense, Nathan’s eyes had looked up into hers. Then down to her stomach. Then up to her eyes. And down to her stomach.


”Really?” he’d asked, his tone unreadable as Percy handed him a lumpy towel.


Crouching down so she was on eye level with him, Anna nodded, her eyes searching his for a reaction, her brow furrowed with uncertainty.


“Wow,” he said slowly, nodding back, slowly lifting the ice pack to his head.


“Really?” Anna said.


“Yeah,” Nathan said, his eyes lighting up, his mouth widening, his delight beginning to shine. “Wow,” he repeated.


“Yeah, wow,” Anna whispered joyfully, her response almost drowned out by applause and laughter as hugs were exchanged and hands were shaken.



The next day, Nathan had been so nervous when he asked her to move into the castle. She could hear the crinkling of parchment in his robe pocket where his right hand had been hidden. She knew his hand had been fisted around a list of carefully thought out arguments as to why she was better off living in the castle, preferably with him, than on her own in her cottage. The fact he had asked and not simply assumed, especially in light of the baby, had touched her deeply.


“Anna!” Nathan hollered from down the hall.


“Coming,” she said, sitting up and waiting for the nausea. It seemed to have passed. She sighed gratefully and stood up, following Nathan’s voice into the room that would be their study. She stopped on the threshold, her hands on her hips, cocking her head to the side. Her heart flip flopped and she felt a goofy smile spread from ear to ear as she watched her husband. Her husband. She wondered how long it would take until she quit feeling like she was playing dress up saying this was her husband. It had been so many years since she could use those words in reality. And there he was, cross legged in the middle of stacks of her books - books he was supposed to have spent the past hour unpacking and putting onto the shelves behind him.


“You never told me you had a complete set of the Anthology of Blood Boiling. This is even a first edition! Signed by the author,” Nathan said, flipping through the texts with enthusiasm.


Anna chuckled. “I know that, Nathan. I worked with him. He gave them to me -”


“Oh, and look at this one,” Nathan said, holding up a palm sized, green leather bound volume. “The Pocket Guide to Hex Deflection! I could use this in class.”


“Nathan, we’re ““


“And this one. Do you know what this is? This is mint edition of Leydon Langley’s memoirs from his trips through Asia. Fascinating discussions on the tombs of the Ming Dynasty Emperors in China. You know, I heard once, the curses they put on the urns alone would send an unsuspecting grave robber right through the tomb wall.”


“You forgot one,” Anna said dryly, nodding to the box in front of him.


“I did?” Nathan said, dropping Langley’s You Can Look but You’d Better Not Touch!, and tipping the box toward him. “Oh, how could I have missed that?” He said, reaching in to grab the last book.


Anna smiled and shook her head. “Nathan,” she began, “we’re unpacking. Not reading. Unpacking. You remember classes start back up day after tomorrow? It would be nice to be done with this by then.”


“I know, I know,” Nathan answered, enthusiastically. “But, Anna, look, do you know what this is?” he said, tapping the book he’d pulled out of the box, “this is a copy of The History of -


“Nathan,” Anna interrupted, weaving her way through the piles and kneeling down in front of him. “You do realize all these books, which I can tell you’ve put into piles of what you are going to read first, next and last, are all staying here, too? Along with me? We’re a package deal?”


“I know,” Nathan grinned, “isn’t it great? I mean, here, this volume of -”


“Nathan, unpack! Shelve! Or you won’t like the consequences. I’ve taught Ginny a new hex and she needs practice.”


“Ginny’s here?” Nathan asked looking around.


“No, Ginny’s not here,” Anna said, rolling her eyes. “She and Harry left half an hour ago. But I could get her back here. Fast.”


Nathan chuckled and pushed off the ground. “You don’t want to do that.”


“And why not?”


“Because I’d rather give this to you and only you,” Nathan replied, reaching over to pick up a box from on top of the nearest stack of books. “Here.”


Anna took the box and looked curiously up at him. She pulled the navy blue ribbon off and let it slide to the floor. Carefully lifting the lid, she saw a folded piece of parchment inside. Anna set the box down on the table next to her and picked up the parchment. Unfolding it, she studied it for a moment. She turned it over and snorted.


“Well, I just want to make sure you are able to find our rooms when you get back from work. I’d hate to have you wander off and end up walking in on Filch or Snape or some other poor unsuspecting sta-oof!”


Anna swatted him in the stomach with the map of Hogwarts. Nathan pulled her toward him, smiling widely. He placed a kiss on her nose. “Always make a map and never lead the expedition,” he teased. “But, there’s something else in the box, too.”


Anna looked over her shoulder and saw folded rice paper. Reaching down, she lifted up the edge. Her heart leapt. Maybe it stopped. She wasn’t sure. She knew her breathing had. Her eyes became moist with tears and she swallowed. Nathan reached around her and picked up the small gold band. Gently taking her left hand in his, he slid her wedding band on her ring finger for the second time.


“Anna Elizabeth Patterson Borgin, will you be my wife? Again?” Nathan asked softly.


Anna blinked rapidly at the gold band, stunned he would have kept it after all these years. She said the first thing that came to mind. “You’re kidding, right?”


Nathan’s face fell. He dropped her hand. Anna looked up, startled by his reaction.


“No, I’m not kidding!” he said indignantly.


“What? Oh, crap,” Anna said. “I meant about keeping the ring. I would have thrown it in the Nile if I were you. Oh, Nathan,” she said, placing her palm against his cheek and directing his eyes to hers, “of course I’ll be your wife. I am your wife. I’ll always be your wife. I’m honored to be your wife.”


Nathan rolled his eyes and snorted.


“In my defense,” Anna said grinning, “it beats my answer the first time you asked me.”


“You didn’t answer the first time I asked you. You hexed me. I smelled like a skunk for a week.”


“You put the ring in a casket key box, Nathan.”


“I know, but I thought it was pretty. And old. And something you would like. How was I supposed to know you would have thought the thing was still rigged with poisonous darts left by some long dead wizard who wanted to guard against anyone stealing his key? Besides,” Nathan said, pulling her close again, “you kept it. I unpacked it earlier.”


“Details, details,” Anna said, her eyes twinkling as she wrapped her arms around Nathan’s middle. “If you kept mine, I’m assuming you kept yours, too?”


Nathan held up his left hand to reveal a matching gold band.


“Very nice, Professor Borgin,” Anna said softly.


“Thank you, Chief Hexologist Borgin,” Nathan replied, leaning down to kiss her. “Same to you.”


“You need to unpack,” Anna said, tilting her head to the side as Nathan nuzzled her neck.


“Mmm,” Nathan said, nipping at the soft skin behind her ear.


Unpacking could wait. After all, Anna wasn’t going anywhere this time.



+++++



“Oh, excuse me,” Ginny said, side stepping a small, moving bundle of greens as it scurried down the corridor.


“Our many pardons, Miss,” a moving voice came from somewhere under a collection of metallic colored balls and silver tinsel which was closely following the moving evergreens.


Bending over so she could get a good look, Ginny could see the hem of two tea towels and four oversized feet, two adorned with mismatched socks, scurrying on their way to put away the rest of the holiday decorations before the start of term.


“Happy New Year, Dobby!” she called.


“My apologies! Happy New Year, Miss Wheezey!” the pile of ornaments called back.


Pulling her cloak tighter, Ginny continued on her way to the Gryffindor common room. The snow, which had started before Christmas, had continued, swirling up into icing like drifts and chilling the walls of the castle, inside and out. Ginny had spent the past few days helping Anna pack up her cottage and watching Neville and Joanna become deeply enamored with each other. She had tried not to be too obvious about it, but she could not help feeling a surge of excitement every time she caught them smiling or laughing or, as was the case last night, returning to the common room, hair a little mussed, faces a little flushed, holding hands. When she had mentioned this to Nathan this morning, he said it was probably time to say something.


“Hi, Ginny,” Anna greeted, as she passed her on the Grand Staircase. “Where are you off to this morning?”


“Good morning, Anna,” Ginny smiled. “I’m looking for Neville and Joanna.”


“Ah,” Anna nodded. “Nathan told me. Mind if I give you a little advice?” she asked, stopping in the middle of the steps in front of Ginny.


“No, I don’t mind,” Ginny answered.


“Focus on them,” Anna cautioned, “not on you. I know what you have with Harry is wonderful and good and full of love and that’s smashing. But Neville and Joanna “ their relationship is so new. They have no idea if they’ll even be going out next week. The thought of doing something like this might be totally overwhelming at this stage. They may look at you like you’ve gone totally over the edge to even suggest they do something that will link them together in some manner for the rest of their lives. It’s a big step.”


Ginny opened her mouth to protest. Who wouldn’t want to do this? Then, she closed it again. Anna had a good point. Her enthusiasm could very well scare them off. Ginny nodded.


“But you know, Ginny,” Anna smiled, touching the younger girl’s arm, “Nathan’s right. There isn’t anyone better to teach Joanna than you. You should be very proud.”


Ginny flushed. “Thank you.”


“You’re welcome,” Anna grinned. “Alright, enough seriousness “ I have unpacking to do.”


”Do you need more help?” Ginny asked.


“Yes!” Anna exclaimed. “Keep Nathan occupied as long as possible. I’ll get so much more done if he’s not about. He’s horrible “ has to read everything, inspect everything, ask questions about everything. It’s not like he won’t have the next hundred years to do that!”


Ginny grinned. “We’ll do our best.”


“Thank you, I appreciate it,” Anna said. “I think I’ve got everything over here from the cottage. I need to go back to have another look around, but the end is near. Thank goodness. I hate packing and unpacking. Always have,” Anna said, waving at Ginny over her shoulder as she descended the stairs. “Good luck!”


“Same to you,” Ginny called, turning to continue her climb up to the seventh floor.


Mulling over Anna’s advice, Ginny didn’t notice the flash of green or the satisfied smirk slink off into the shadows.



++++



“Found anything yet?” Neville asked hopefully.


“No “ ah, here “ damn, no,” Joanna sighed frustrated as she flipped pages as fast as she could. “I’m really sorry, Neville. I had no idea ““


“That’s alright,” Neville said, cradling his right hand in his left. “It only grows in the winter under snow. You couldn’t see the patch. Blends right in, after all. Amazing camouflage. Makes it really hard to find.”


“So what you’re trying to say is I have developed an uncanny knack for finding poisonous plant life?” Joanna said, scanning the lines on the page in front of her.


“No,” Neville said, “you have developed an uncanny knack for finding hard to find poisonous plant life.”


Joanna giggled. “And that is so much better, isn’t it?”


Neville grinned, his heart giving a little leap at the sound of her laughter. At the sound of the portrait hole opening, he looked over his shoulder.


“Hiya Ginny,” he called.


“Hi, Neville,” she answered, smiling at Neville’s bright eyes and flushed cheeks. Normally, Ginny would have chalked his heightened color to the cold, especially since she noticed his discarded cloak, gloves and scarf on the cushions next to him. But judging by who was taking up cushion space on the his other side, she knew better. “Hi Joanna. You are just the two “ what happened to your arm?” she asked, sitting down in the chair opposite them.


“Did you know, Ginny,” Joanna asked, her eyes not leaving the book in her lap, “that Bruma Albatus Clover grows only in the winter? That it is white and when scooped up can leak its poison into a packed snowball?”


“Uh, no, I didn’t,” Ginny replied honestly, fighting a smile.


“Yes, it does. And that poison, when it contacts skin, causes really painful boils, as you can see demonstrated by Neville there,” Joanna said. “Ah-ha! Found it,” she exclaimed, punctuating the page with her finger. “Bruma Albatus Clover, also known as Winter White Clover, only blooms in frigid temperatures ““


“It got through your gloves?” Ginny interrupted, glancing over at the ones sitting on the cushion and noticing Neville’s blush deepening.


“He’d taken off his glove,” Joanna said, as she scanned the paragraphs, “to hold my hand then blocked the snowball with it “ here we go “ once the leaf or stem is broken, the poison uses snow as a vehicle to distribute itself “ now it tells us,” Joanna snorted. “It is of utmost importance to apply a Bruma Albatus repellant immediately following the first frost…avoid skin contact “ no joke. If the poison does come into contact with skin, contact St. Mungo’s immediately. Well, isn’t that of the utmost help!” Joanna scoffed, slamming the book shut.


“Why didn’t you go see Madam Pomfrey?” Ginny asked.


“She’s gone for the afternoon,” Neville said, wincing as he turned his hand. “Off to visit her sister in Aberdeen.”


Ginny leaned forward to take a look at Neville’s hand. The skin was stretched taught, red and irritated, and blistered with pockets of whitish pus. “You know, I was coming to get you because Professor Borgin wants to see you. He might be able to help.”


Joanna met Neville’s eyes and shrugged. “Beats sitting here watching the blisters get bigger.”


“Okay,” Neville nodded. “He wants to see both of us?”


“Uh, yes,” Ginny answered, standing up. “Both of you, along with Harry and me,” she said, climbing out of the portrait hole. “He’s waiting for us in his office.”


++++


The box on the desk was brown. It was wooden. It had a carving of a dragon on the top. The dragon resembled a Knucker Dragon. Neville had read about them in one of the books Gran kept on the table in front of the sofa in the formal living room. Knuckers liked wet woodland areas. They ate rabbits, cattle and stray children. They had small wings but were unable to fly.


They didn’t have a bond. He did “ or he could. He and Joanna. Neville’s heart gave a little flip as he dropped his gaze from the box on Nathan’s desk to his hands, clasped tightly in his lap. Neville’s hand was blissfully numb. And so was the rest of him. The past week had been the best of his life. Or at least his recent life. Out of the corner of his eye he could see Joanna’s heel tapping rapidly on the rug. He didn’t dare look at her. He didn’t know how to react to her - to himself - to the news. Part of him was scared; another, excited. He wasn’t sure he could bear it if she didn’t feel the same. He closed his eyes.


Joanna pushed her palm on her knee. It wouldn’t stop. Her hand bounced up and down. Shaking her head, she stood up. She counted the shelves behind the desk, four up, four across. She sat back down. She blinked rapidly, swallowing the tears swelling her throat. This wasn’t happening. This wasn’t fair. She had finally “ finally! - found a boy who was everything she could ask for and now…now this? He wasn’t saying anything. He must be thinking this was awful, that he was tied to her for the rest of his life. They didn’t even know how they felt about each other! Joanna’s bottom lip began to tremble as she closed her eyes against the tears.


Ginny felt Harry’s hand on her arm and she looked up. He motioned his head toward the door of Nathan’s office. She glanced at Joanna and Neville, then back at Harry who had moved silently through the door. She felt the rumblings of frustration at a situation out of her control building. She felt Nathan touch her elbow and push her toward the door. She pulled her elbow back but Nathan was firm and steered her out of the office.


“Argh!” Ginny muttered.


“Ginny?” Harry asked, watching her stomp up the isle between the desks, her hands fisted at her side.


“Anna warned me this might happen,” Ginny said aggravated.


“She did?” Nathan said surprised.


“Yeah,” Ginny sighed dejectedly, plopping down in one of the seats. “Well, sort of. She said we should focus on them. We focused on them, didn’t we?”


“Yeah, I think so,” Harry said, sitting down at the desk in front of Ginny.


“I didn’t seem too enthusiastic, did I?” Ginny asked concerned.


“No, you were fine,” Nathan answered.


“Maybe it was too soon? Maybe we should have waited?” Ginny asked desperately seeking an explanation for Neville and Joanna’s less than enthusiastic reception of the news.


Harry reached forward and gently laid his hand on Ginny’s arm. Ginny automatically closed her eyes and soaked up Harry’s touch. She felt her insides settle, the sense of confusion easing as a comforting sense of rightness filled her. Ginny opened her eyes and exhaled.


“We did the best we could,” Nathan said quietly, his eyes on the door to his office. “They needed to know. If a Mediator and her bond never meet, there really is no change in their lives. However, when a Mediator meets her bond and feels that pull, she will feel the yearning for the rest of her life. Should she choose not to pursue the bond, then she can make the conscious decision to shut that part of her life up, although, I can remember my mother saying that it’s practically impossible to do. In fact, it almost is better to simply go through with the bond than to have to live life with a sense that something is always missing, as if you are not complete. That feeling, along with knowing exactly what is missing, can drive a Mediator mad. It makes for a very sad, miserable life.”


Ginny’s eyes bored into the wood of Nathan’s office door, as if staring at it with great intensity would allow her to see through it.


Inside the office, Joanna let go a shuddering breath and stood up. She cursed her inability to think on her feet. Whatever she was about to say, she just knew it was going to come out wrong. But she couldn’t stay in here any longer. She needed to go and think.


“Neville,” she said, her spine ram rod stiff, her eyes aimed straight ahead, not seeing anything, only feeling the ache filling her body, “I’m sorry. I didn’t ““


“It’s not your fault,” Neville spoke, his voice husky with emotions he couldn’t name.


Joanna wanted to say it was, but from what she now understood, it wasn’t. She nodded and stepped away from her chair. “The past week has been really wonderful,” she whispered to the air in front of her. “Thank you.”


“Joanna “ wait, I “ I’m ““ Neville watched helplessly as Joanna stepped through the open office door, leaving him alone with his confusion. “I’m not mad,” he whispered to the empty doorway.


Ginny’s eyes followed Joanna as she ran from Nathan’s office. Joanna’s right hand shielded her eyes while her left was held up as a barrier between her and the rest of them. She flew past Harry, Ginny and Nathan, out of the classroom and into the corridor. Three pairs of eyes turned to the office door which closed with a decisive click, telling them there would be no more discussion on this topic today.


++++


Elphias Doge never saw it coming. When it was whispered about afterward, some would say it was cruel. Others would shrug and say it was war. If a wizard chose to become involved, as Elphias had, there were risks and unfortunately, death was one of those risks. Elphias Doge had been on a scouting mission for The Order. Pockets of Death Eaters had been turning up in Muggle neighborhoods, such as Little Whinging. Elphias had been trailing after some unexplained happenings in Hasslemere. In the simplest terms, his death confirmed their fears. The Dark Lord’s influence was spreading.



++++


Harry’s eyes meandered over the shelves, vaguely registering the titles on the spines. Ginny had sent him back to this section to see if he could find anything remotely related to banishing spells or obliteration charms that might be helpful. After the Joanna/Neville incident, Ginny had wiped her hands of the matter, claiming it was no use worrying about it. She had then had thrown herself into researching how Catarina had healed Tom’s blood. Ginny wanted to find out how she had bound what was left of Tom’s blood to his physical form so she could blast it apart.


In the days since classes had resumed, Harry could tell, despite her efforts to sweep the matter under the rug, Ginny was worried about her roommate and friend. Ginny was growing increasingly irritable and tense, snapping at the simplest questions and scowling at anyone who crossed her path. Harry had the intense desire to take his thumbs and gently iron out the creases in her forehead, but he was a little afraid he would pull his hands back and be missing those important opposable digits. So, when Ginny had pointed at the stacks, he had gone, no questions asked. Rubbing a knot of muscle that had settled at the base of his neck, Harry eyed the shelves wearily.


“Hi, Harry.”


Harry looked over his shoulder and was surprised to see Neville, sitting against the wall, his book bag on the floor beside him, his hands clasped in his lap.


“Uh, hi, Neville,” Harry answered uncertainly. He and Neville had not really spoken since the meeting, passing each other in the corridor with nods of acknowledgement, but nothing more. When Harry returned to the dormitory in the evening, Neville either was not there or had already closed his curtains, not wanting to socialize. Dean had said something to Harry the other day, wondering if everything was alright. Harry had told him Neville needed some time and had hoped that was all he needed. “You “ you alright?”


“Yeah,” Neville said, his face looking pale and withdrawn, his shoulders slumped.


“Need a hand up?” Harry asked, reaching out.


“No, I think I’ll stay here a while,” Neville said, shaking his head, his eyes on his shoes.


Harry nodded and returned his attention to the shelves.


“Harry? Why’d you do it?” Neville asked, his voice sounding like it came from far away instead of right at Harry’s feet.


Harry stopped, his eyes on the book in front of him - Erasing Your Mistakes: Blasting Spells and Their Ramifications - and thought about that question for a moment. It seemed like so long ago when he and Ginny had decided to do their bonding, much longer than last summer.


“Neville,” Harry asked, crouching down next to his friend who scooted his book bag out of the way so Harry could sit. The cold of the stone floor seeped up through his robes and Harry shifted to get comfortable. “Ginny and I had different reasons for doing the bonding than you and Joanna would.”


“The Prophecy,” Neville nodded. Harry had told him of the Prophecy when he and Joanna had met with Nathan and Ginny. Harry had thought Neville and Joanna deserved to know all the reasons why the bonding had come up in the first place for Ginny and himself.


“Well,” Harry shrugged, “there was that. But it was more that this protected Ginny. By bonding with me, Voldemort couldn’t bond with her.”


“How long did it take you to decide?” Neville asked, wincing at the Dark Lord’s name.


“Not long,” Harry said in all honesty. “I love Ginny ““


“I don’t love Joanna!” Neville exclaimed, his hand suddenly forming a fist and pounding his thigh. “And ““ he began, his voice cracking as his eyes slammed shut, “and she doesn’t love me,” he whispered.


Harry sat there stunned. Even he could detect the heart wrenching ache that filled Neville’s whispered words. Harry glanced down the isles, half hoping to see Ginny coming along to find out what was taking him so long. She was so much better at this emotional stuff. But then again, judging by her irritability lately, maybe he was better off dealing with Neville’s anguish. Taking a deep breath, Harry dug deep.


“Neville, you know bonds don’t have to be based on love,” Harry spoke, cringing the moment the words came out. The only bond he knew of that fit that category was not exactly a stellar example.


“I know that,” Neville said exasperated. “It’s just “ she thinks I’m funny, Harry. She wants to be a Healer and thinks it’s really cool I like Herbology. She asks my opinion and she listens to it, I mean, really listens! She does all this because she wants to, Harry, not because she has to. I don’t want her to do this bonding thing with me because she has to.”


Harry looked at his folded hands and sighed. “I know what you mean, Neville,” he said quietly. “But I don’t get the impression from Joanna that she is the type of girl to do something against her will.”


Neville smiled at that. “Yeah,” he agreed.


“You know, though, it’s not something that has to happen immediately. “


“Really?” Neville asked.


“Really,” Harry nodded.


Neville contemplated Harry’s answer for a few moments before speaking. “Harry, how do you know? How do you make it work?” Neville asked, his eyes pleading with Harry’s.


“Make it work?” Harry repeated blankly. “You mean with Ginny?”


Neville nodded.


Harry paused, wanting to pick his words carefully, but not knowing what words to pick. “I - I don’t know. Why does it work with anyone? After a while it - it just becomes necessary. It’s like if she wasn’t there, there would be ““


“This gaping hole?” Neville interrupted hopefully.


Harry nodded slowly. “This huge gaping hole,” he answered.


“I hate this gaping hole,” Neville said, thumping his chest with his fist.


“Yeah,” Harry agreed.


The two friends sat there, contemplating life, love and their scuffed shoes while the sounds of the library swirled around them. After a few moments, Harry looked up as Neville pushed against him, struggling to his feet.


“You leaving?”


“Yep,” Neville said, slinging his book bag over his shoulder. “I have to figure out how to do some hole filling.”


Harry watched Neville’s back as he turned out of the stacks. Pushing himself off the floor, Harry grabbed a random book off the shelves to show his time away wasn’t for naught and followed in Neville’s footsteps, heading back to the table where Ginny sat amidst an ocean of books. She looked up as Harry leaned down and gave her a solid kiss on the lips.


Blinking, she tilted her head in question. Harry smiled at her as he sat down in the chair opposite her and opened the book he had brought back.


+++++


Attack at Port Results in Deaths



The Daily Prophet received reports this morning of a Death Eater attack in the Muggle port town of Ipswich. While no specific target has been identified, the attack resulted in twelve deaths, eleven Muggle and one witch.

The office of the Minister of Magic has issued a statement saying the Minister has been in close contact with the Muggle Prime Minister since news of the attack broke. At this time, the best determination for the cause of the attack was simple disruption of day to day business. “Appropriate actions have been taken to ensure alarm is not widespread,” the Ministry spokesperson assured The Daily Prophet.

In response, Milton Blevins, head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation, argued, “Memory modification charms aren’t enough! Where was the back up? Where was the prevention force? And did anyone notice two of those Muggles had children at Hogwarts? This is a disgrace!”

Ameila Bones, head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, went on record, stating coldly, “The Minister was aware of this. I told him personally. He chose not to act.”

The Muggles’ identities have not been released. The witch has been identified as Hestia Jones. She is survived by an elderly aunt and six cats.



++++


Ginny pressed her fingers into her temples to dull the throbbing. Her eyes burned and she was cranky. Her eyes closed, she moved her head back, then to the each side, feeling the taut muscles stretch in protest. Groaning, she let her head fall forward, her forehead meeting the stack of books in front of her. She exhaled as she felt gentle pressure on her shoulders. Warmth spread downward, pushing the crankiness out through her toes. She sighed.


“Better?”


“Yeah, thanks,” Ginny smiled up at Harry. “But I have to admit, I kind of was enjoying being cranky. People were leaving me alone and I was getting something done for once.”


“Sorry,” Harry chuckled, “but I don’t think I can put the crankiness back in. I can only push it out.”


“Ah well,” Ginny said.


“What are you getting done?” Harry asked, opening his book bag and pulling out his books and a piece of parchment with burnt edges. Once again, Hermione had done up study schedules for NEWTs, color coded and charmed with vocal reminders. While Ron had simply shoved the schedule under his mattress where it mumbled its reminders into the springs, Harry had tried a form of an Obliteration Charm he had come across in his research. A little smoke and some charred edges later, Harry’s schedule was silent yet useful.


“Well,” Ginny said in a lowered voice, sitting up straight and leaning forward, “from what I have read, in order for Catarina to have been able to do anything with Tom’s blood, she had to use an incredible amount of magic. She probably had to feed off of some of his. In order to have an impact on that kind of magic, we have to use as much if not more. One witch or wizard does not possess that much magic.”


“What about two?” Harry asked, tapping his quill on his parchment.


“Two? Oh,” Ginny said, sitting back in her chair and nodding. “Two. If two were connected,” she said, motioning between them. “Hmm…alright, let’s say we can figure out how to do that, the other stumbling block is we have to break Tom’s bond to his physical form which means we have to get rid of the blood protection my blood is giving him which keeps him bonded to his physical form. The only way to get rid of blood protection is to break the bond. And the only way to break a blood bond is through death…”


“Hm,” Harry grunted. “You’re bonded to my blood in his veins.”


“Right,” Ginny nodded.


“If you broke the bond to my blood in his body, would you still be bonded to me?” Harry asked thoughtfully.


Her brow furrowed, Ginny bit her bottom lip and thought about Harry’s question for a moment. “I’m not sure,” she answered slowly. “His blood is so convoluted at this stage, I don’t know if I would be or not.”


“If you were,” Harry mused, “the bond wouldn’t be broken with me, only him, which would mean you wouldn’t die…”


“I’d only die a little bit?” Ginny said, a small smile playing at the corner of her mouth.


“Can’t really do that, can you?” Harry said, smiling ruefully.


“Can’t do what?” Hermione asked, approaching the table.


“Die a little bit,” Ginny said.


“Why would you want to die a little bit?” Hermione asked.


“It’s nothing, Hermione,” Ginny replied, closing the book in front of her.


“Harry,” Hermione said, her eyes following the book Ginny was stashing in her book bag, “don’t you have rounds?”


“Oh, right,” Harry sighed. “Forgot. Sorry, Hermione,” he apologized, closing his potions book. “I’ll see you later, Gin,” he said, leaning down to give her a quick kiss on the cheek before heading out of the portrait hole.


Hermione sat down opposite Ginny. “Ginny, is something wrong with Joanna?” she asked, opening her bag and pulling an un-charred version of the study schedule out. Ginny glanced at it and noticed Hermione had crossed out the subjects she had already studied. According to Hermione’s chart, she was a week and a half ahead of schedule.


“I don’t think so,” Ginny answered, trying to sound nonchalant. “Why?”


“Well, she’s been looking rather pale and withdrawn the past week or so. And I passed her earlier in the corridor and she was crying.”


“Crying?” Ginny repeated, her heart constricting. She knew Professor Borgin had said it was good for Joanna to know, but somehow, Ginny could not help but feel guilty for causing her friend this heartache.


“Yes. You know, as a prefect, it is your responsibility to look after a student’s well being. Perhaps you should talk to her?” Hermione suggested. “I would, but you are her roommate and closer to her. She might respond better to you asking questions than me.”


Ginny inwardly cringed at the idea. She didn’t want to cause her roommate any additional strife, but looking at Hermione’s determined expression, Ginny knew she was not going to be able to get out of this. Ginny sighed and began to pack up her things.


“Do you know where she is?” she asked.


“In the library,” Hermione replied, nodding her approval, “at a table near the back, under the windows.”


“Right,” Ginny said. “Keep an eye on my bag? I’ll take it up when I get back.”


“Good luck,” Hermione called after Ginny as she climbed through the portrait hole.


“Yup, luck,” Ginny muttered, striding down the corridor toward the staircase and the library. Several minutes later, Ginny was scanning the tables, looking for her friend.


“Hiya, Ginny,” Colin Creevy whispered loudly from a table off to her right.


“Colin,” Ginny said, stepping over to his table, “have you seen Joanna?”


“She just left,” he said.


“Do you know where she was going?”


“She said she was headed for some fresh air,” Colin said. “Does that help?”


“Yeah, thanks, Colin,” she said, as she turned and headed out the door again. Picking up her pace, Ginny jogged down the hallway toward the staircase. Rounding the bend, she saw a flash of gold in front of her.


“Joanna!” she called waving. “Joanna, wait up!”


Joanna turned, shifting her book bag on her shoulder to a more comfortable position. “Hi, Ginny,” she said with a small smile.


Ginny stopped at her side, catching her breath. “Got a sec?”


Joanna shrugged her unburdened shoulder. “Sure.”


Ginny touched her elbow and steered her to a nearby alcove for some privacy. The corridors were not crowded at this time of night, but there was no reason to invite unwanted ears. Joanna dropped her book bag at her feet and looked at her shoes. Ginny blinked nervously at the top of Joanna’s head and bit her bottom lip. What was she supposed to say now?


“How’s Neville?”


The whispered question tore at Ginny’s heart. “He’s fine,” Ginny said, touching her friend on the shoulder. “He’s not mad at you, Joanna.”


Joanna looked up at Ginny. “He said that, the other day, in Professor Borgin’s office. He said he wasn’t mad at me. Why would he say that?”


“Because he’s Neville,” Ginny answered simply. “Neville has the biggest heart of anyone I know. He’s not mad at you.”


“Was Harry mad at you?”


“No,” Ginny shook her head. “This isn’t something we did, Joanna. And we are lucky enough to have bonds who know that.”


“What’s it like?” Joanna asked. “What’s it like being bonded?”


Ginny could tell from the light that had flashed in Joanna’s eyes she was terrified of being curious and yet couldn’t help herself. Ginny smiled wistfully as she answered.


“It’s ribbons. Multi-colored ribbons of magic that tie you together in a way you will never be tied to another person ever.”


“Does it hurt?” Joanna asked in wonder.


Ginny giggled. “No, it doesn’t hurt. It’s incredible.”


Joanna nodded, her face falling as her curiosity was overrun with reality.


“Joanna,” Ginny said, touching her friend on the arm, “you know this bonding, it doesn’t happen immediately. You and Neville, you don’t have to make the decision to do this today or tomorrow or even next week. And even after that, you have training which is more time if you choose to do it.”


Joanna swallowed, her brow furrowed. “What happens if “ if we don’t do it?”


“Well,” Ginny answered, picking her words carefully, “from what I understand, for Neville, nothing much changes. For you, since you have met your bond, you would always have a sense of longing for him. It’s not to say you couldn’t fall in love with someone else, but there would always be this sense of…well, unfulfilled longing.”


Joanna snorted. “And that sounds downright pleasant.”


Ginny opened her mouth to reassure her friend it was not as bad as it sounded, but clamped it shut again. It was as bad as it sounded. She knew. “Yeah, it pretty much sucks,” Ginny agreed.


“At least you’re ‘unfulfilled longing’” Joanna quoted, “was fulfilled.”


“And who’s to say yours won’t be, too?” Ginny shrugged.


“Because I ran out of Professor Borgin’s office. I’ve spent a week avoiding Neville because I didn’t know what to say. He must think I’m totally stark raving mad. I didn’t even give him a chance to say anything. I just didn’t want him to reject me, Ginny. I just couldn’t bear that,” Joanna cried, her eyes watering.


“Do you want to give him the chance?” Ginny asked, her eyes focused on a spot out of the alcove.


“Chance?” Joanna echoed.


“Chance to say something?” Ginny repeated, scooping up Joanna’s book bag and shoving it into Joanna’s stomach. Joanna grunted at the impact and nodded.


“Then here’s your chance. Don’t think, just feel. And remember, this is Neville,” Ginny said, before placing her hands on Joanna’s shoulders and giving her a shove. A thoroughly confused look on her face, Joanna stumbled backward out of the alcove, slamming into a solid moving mass. She felt two arms grab her around the waist to keep her upright.


Joanna’s heart skipped as she closed her eyes and saw the ribbons for the first time.


+++++


Ginny hummed as she headed back to Gryffindor Tower, feeling more hopeful than she had in several days. Skipping once than breaking into a run, Ginny jogged down the hall, keeping her eyes open for Harry. She wanted to tell him the news. It wasn’t much, but at least Joanna and Neville were talking. Rounding the corner, Ginny stumbled, catching herself against the wall with her hands. Stone bit into her palms causing her to hiss.


“So sorry, Miss. Are you alright, Miss?”


The squeaky voice came from somewhere around Ginny’s knees. Pushing her body away from the wall, Ginny looked down, surprised to see a house elf she didn’t recognize, clutching a roll of parchment in his hand.


“I’m fine,” Ginny answered, brushing her hands on her jumper. “Are you?”


“You are too kind to ask, Miss. Puddy is fine, Miss. This is for you,” Puddy said, holding out the parchment.


“Uh, thank you, Puddy,” Ginny said, examining the parchment in her hands. “Puddy, who ga-oh!” Ginny looked around at the empty corridor. Puddy had disappeared. Shrugging her shoulders, Ginny unrolled the parchment.


+++++


Joanna hugged her cloak around her body. She had suggested they come to the Astronomy Tower. Somehow the darkness seemed to be a little more private, a little less revealing. As a shiver encircled her, she had to think this had not been one of her brightest ideas. But then again, the frigid night air numbing her nose, cheeks and fingers, was rather fitting since it matched how her insides had felt all week. She could feel him standing beside her. His presence warmed her. She desperately wanted to take a step closer, to brush his arm with hers, breathe the same air he was. Instead, she stayed where she was, apart, searching for something to say.


Neville hugged his arms around his middle, watching his breath poof out in ghostly opaque clouds. Out of the corner of his eye, he could see the moonlight paint the strands of her hair a silver white. Odd, since her hair is gold, Neville thought absentmindedly. He could not see it in the darkness, but over the past week, he had seen the smudges grow darker under her eyes, her face become paler, her eyes lose their bright laughter. He had watched her push food around on her plate for a week, even turning away Shepherd’s Pie. She loved Shepherd’s Pie. Her mum would make it every year on her birthday. She had told him that. Neville cleared his throat and spoke as she did.


“I’m not mad.”


“I’m sorry I ran out.”


Neville and Joanna’s eyes met and they smiled. “You first,” Neville said, bouncing up and down on his heels to keep warm.


Joanna inhaled. “I’m sorry I ran out of Professor Borgin’s office. I didn’t know what to do. I didn’t know what to say. I was so scared that I had done this, somehow ““


“You didn’t,” Neville answered quietly.


Joanna smiled softly. “I know. But I couldn’t think then. It felt like it was something I had done and I didn’t want you to think I had done it to trap you.”


“T - trap me?” Neville squeaked. “Why would you trap me?”


“Because you’re you,” Joanna answered, her cheeks warming in the moonlight.


Neville wasn’t sure how to respond to that. She said it so clearly with sincere simplicity. He just wanted to jump in feet first and swim in her absolute confidence of him. He felt as if he could take on the world, including Snape. He had felt like this over Christmas. And he knew, deep inside, this feeling was good and necessary and he desperately wanted it.


Neville flushed, welcoming the heat in his cheeks. “I m-miss you.”


Joanna blinked rapidly. Was it the cold was making her eyes water or the sight of Neville, bouncing up and down on his heels to stay warm, his hands fisted by his side, his lips purple blue?


“I miss you, too,” Joanna said softly, “and you’re freezing.”


“Uh, y-yes, I am-m,” Neville chattered.


“What should we do?” Joanna asked, taking a step toward Neville.


“G-go inside. Figure out what t-to do next.”


“Like the bond? Neville “ I don’t think-“


“N-no, not the bond,” Neville said. “At least not yet. I-I’d like t-to, I don’t know, sit with you in fr-front of the fire, st-study with you, b-be infected w-with a f-few mo-more plant fungi…”


Joanna snorted. At the sound, Neville smiled, his numb cheeks cracking with cold. She sniffled and smiled at him.


“I’d like that,” she said.


“G-good. C-can we g-go inside, n-now?” Neville asked hopefully.


Joanna nodded vigorously. Neville stretched out a frozen hand toward her. Joanna enveloped it in her mitten.


++++



Ginny climbed out of the passageway and into Anna’s old office in the cottage. It was dark and cold and empty. A sense of unease crept into the back of her mind. She lifted her wand in front of her.


“Anna?” Ginny called, kicking herself for not asking Harry to come with her. But he was on rounds and Anna’s note had sounded like it was a quick thing. “Anna? I got your note about the books you wanted me too look at. Anna?”



+++++





A/N “ My thanks to my betas wvchemteach and Anya “ where would this story be without you?

And thanks to Dr. Ernest Drake’s Dragonology “ The Complete Book of Dragons, Candlewick Press, and my son for his suggestion of which dragon to use.

Lastly, thank you to bogus7, my mod here at MNFF - you're awesome!!!
Anchors by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter



Anchors







Harry ran.


At first, it had felt a bit like what Uncle Vernon described as heartburn “ a dull ache in his middle, right below his ribcage. The ache had grown stronger the farther he had walked on his rounds until suddenly, a piercing pain speared him. His fist slammed into his chest, pounding at his heart where the pain centered. Harry closed his eyes against it. As the pain dulled, his vision cleared in the darkness behind his closed eyelids.


Ginny’s ribbons had gone black. He ran.


He raced toward the pull, his heart hammering in his chest, his mind centered on the force drawing him down the staircase to the kitchen. His fingers scraped the green pear. It shrieked, the handle popping out immediately against his hand. Harry flung the portrait open and barreled into the kitchen.


“Harry Potter, sir! What is the matter?” Dobby asked from the sink, his saucer like eyes the size of dinner plates.


“Fireplace!” Harry bellowed, charging straight at the fireplace.


A blue flash of light flew past Harry’s ear. A hiss and crackle later, a thin layer of ice began to melt in the fireplace.


Harry stumbled, doubling over as searing hot pain shot from his bonding scar up through his arm, infecting his body.


“Harry Potter, sir!” Dobby shouted, rushing to his side along with several other house elves.


Panting, Harry steadied himself against one of the long wooden tables and pushed himself back up. “Get Borgin,” he hissed and started forward again. Dobby pointed a finger at the small iron pot sitting in the alcove. With a crack, it turned automatically. Another crack and the door in the fireplace opened.


“Thanks,” Harry croaked before hurtling himself into the passageway.


++++


A pale glow from the cottage filtered through the floating dirt and dust curtaining the open passageway to Anna’s old office. Harry stopped below the opening, his chest heaving painfully “ from running full out or from the pull of the bond, he wasn’t sure. He didn’t care. He needed to find Ginny.


Extinguishing his wand but keeping it at the ready, the damp, dirt covered stairs muffled Harry’s footfalls as he stealthily climbed up into Anna’s cottage. Moonlight had painted the office with an eerie silver glow. The room appeared deserted except for the empty bookshelves shoved against the far wall waiting for a new home.


Crouching low, Harry plastered himself against a set of shelves. Winter cold wrapped around him and his breath clouded the stagnant air. His eyes stung as sweat blurred his vision behind his glasses. He blinked rapidly, listening, straining to hear anything. At first, the cottage was uncomfortably quiet, Harry’s shallow, edgy breathing the only noise breaking through the stillness. Harry knew who had lured Ginny away. They weren’t this smart. Harry held his breath. His patience was rewarded. A muffled scrape from upstairs reached his ears. The creak of a floorboard protesting someone’s weight. He thought he heard a moan but couldn’t tell who it might be.


Harry released his breath slowly. His heart raced, thumping wildly against his ribcage as he slid against the wall toward the door. He knew Ginny was here. The intense throbbing in his left hand told him so as he rubbed it over the almost unbearable pull of his heart. His mind began to grow foggy and dim as he listened to the darkness. He was loosing his ability to focus. Harry knew he would be useless if he didn’t do something to clear his mind. Reigning in his anxiousness, Harry stared intently around the room, searching the dark recesses desperately. Sensing he was alone in the room, he scooted back into the blackness and closed his eyes.


Harry’s pulse throbbed behind his eyelids. He felt agitated and jumpy. He leaned against the wall, the hard coldness sticking his jumper to the perspiration covering his back. He was loosing feeling in his fingertips. Forcefully, Harry slammed his mind closed on his physical distress. With every bit of will power he possessed, Harry shut down his thoughts of Ginny and directed his energies to his pulse, forcing it to slow. As it became steady and strong, he felt the blood pounding through his veins beginning to ease its pace, becoming unhurried.


He opened his mind to the bond, focusing his energy on it. It started slowly at first, the edges lightening, the grayness bleeding into the black, forming veins of light in the midst of the pain. The gray morphed into the pink of freshly healed scar tissue, knitting together to become strong again. Harry drew in a deep breath. He felt his knees buckle from the draw on his stamina. He was caught off guard by how much effort it took this time to manipulate the ribbons binding him and Ginny. He desperately wanted to pour every ounce of energy he possessed into this bond, but all of a sudden, instead of a pull, he felt a push. The bond snapped in front of his eyes as if to say, Enough! Get on with it now!. Harry grinned briefly. A sense of determined calm flooded his body. She was going to be alright.


Harry opened his eyes. He breathed deep, the cold air burning his nostrils and flushing his mind clear. Out of the corner of his eye, he saw it - the reflection of moonlight on the toe of a shoe just outside the office door. Someone had come to find out what was taking him so long. Harry’s pulse quickened. But this time, he used the adrenalin to sharpen his senses instead of feed his apprehension.


Blaise Zabini rounded the corner stealthily, his eyes roving over the darkness. Harry watched as he ducked back out to the hallway and silently shrugged his shoulders to someone. Blaise nodded and turned back. Harry’s stunning spell hit him square in the chest. He fell to the floor with a thud. Straightening his knees, Harry crept up to Blaise’s crumpled form. He pointed his wand down and performed a binding hex, ensuring the stunned Slytherin would stay put. Flat with the wall, Harry slid along it into the hall, his eyes peeled for motion, his ears open for sound.


“You didn’t really think you’d get away with it, did you Potter?”


Harry felt his stomach lurch with anticipation. He held his wand securely in his hands, tapping the wood with his fingertips. He narrowed his eyes and exhaled through his nose. He raised his wand and stepped into the doorway of the sitting room. His mind was clear. He was ready.


Gone was the festive atmosphere of the holidays, replaced with the emptiness of a home in transition. The remaining furniture was shoved to the sides of the room, leaving the middle area bare. Draco Malfoy stood there, a moonbeam, fractured by the window panes, illuminating his triumphant sneer.


“Get away with what, Malfoy?” Harry asked, his eyes holding steady with Malfoy’s, resisting the temptation to dart over the furniture and inspect the shadowed corners of the room.


“She’s not here,” Draco drawled, the fingers of his hand playing with a flash of color.


Harry had expected the manipulation and welcomed the ice in his veins. He recognized what Malfoy toyed with. It was Ginny’s red hair ribbon. Being numb made the sight and the implications hurt less.


“Where is she?” Harry asked evenly.


“Upstairs…waiting for me,” Draco answered, throwing the red silk on the floor as a gauntlet for Harry to cross. “You might want to keep that, Potter. A trinket to remind you of her ultimate betrayal.”


“You know nothing, Malfoy,” Harry growled. “She will never betray me.”


“She already has, Potter,” Malfoy responded almost gleefully. “She came to me. And she brought you with her.”


“Malfoy, you are pathetic,” Harry sneered, aiming his wand at Malfoy’s chest. A violent rumble under Harry’s feet threw him off balance.


“No, Potter, you are,” Malfoy retorted, his wand held steady and straight. “That would be the tunnel collapsing underneath you. No one is coming to save your miserable hide this time. Stupefy!


Protego!” Harry countered, the shield charm easily deflecting the stunning spell. “Come on, Malfoy “ that’s the best you can do?” he taunted, the adrenalin floodgates opening wide as Harry circled his nemesis. “A first year could do that!”


“I just wanted to give you a chance to warm up, Potter,” Malfoy sneered, his face opaque in the moonlight. “So when your body is found, The Daily Prophet will at least report that it was a fair fight.”


“It’s not a fair fight,” Harry replied, his breathing controlled, his mind focused. A small satisfied smile began to play at the corner of his mouth. “You are not even close to being my equal. Abico Converto!


The flash of bright yellow sparks ricocheted off Malfoy’s shield, casting nighttime sun over the floorboards. Harry blinked, his eyes blinded for just a moment by the flash. There was a scuffle of feet behind him.


Callum Consectio!


Harry cried out as the flesh cutting spell bit into his side from behind, slashing his skin open. Harry stumbled back behind the wall, hiding himself from Malfoy’s view. Responding on instinct, Harry flung his wand up and sneered back.


Aculeatus Vena!


Harry’s attacker fell to his knees, the sensation of thousands of fire ants crawling through his blood, stinging him from the inside out. Harry gritted his teeth, willing his hand to stop shaking as he touched his wand to his side, muttering a clotting charm. Harry glanced down at the slumped figure on the floor. Theodore Nott twitched in a state of unconsciousness, the smell of damp earth emanating from his cloak. Harry’s mouth curved into a smirk as a sense of perverse satisfaction began to course through his veins. Two down, he tallied.


“Just how many of your friends did you think it would take, Malfoy?” Harry taunted righting himself, the movement aggravating the tears in his abdomen. He winced as he pressed his palm to the throb in his side and scanned the dark hallway. Where were Crabbe and Goyle? The shadows did not shift, but he felt the back of his neck begin to tingle. Harry turned slightly and peered around the corner into the sitting room. The force of a sledgehammer slammed into his neck and pummeled him into the floor. Blackness swirled at the edges of Harry’s consciousness as painful numbness spread from the bridge of his nose outward. Harry swallowed the nausea rising in his stomach and scrambled awkwardly to his feet, his wand aimed at the stairs.


Harry squinted at the shades of blackness on the landing. His eyes roved up and down the steps. Once again, he held his breath and listened, silence shivering up his spine. A creak, only loud enough to be made by the transfer of weight from heel to toe came from behind the railing. Harry aimed.


Reducto!


The twisted banister shattered. Harry shielded his head as railing spokes splintered, spearing wall, floor, ceiling and flesh. Harry aimed at the scream behind the explosion.


Attonare!


The scream halted. A large thump and a sickening crack were heard as solid mass tumbled down to the landing. Three.


“Crabbe!” Malfoy barked from the sitting room. Harry could hear the beginning strains of nervousness in Malfoy’s shout. He nodded satisfied.


“He’s indisposed,” Harry coughed, swiping his jumper sleeve across his sawdust covered glasses. Pushing them back up, Harry winced at the tenderness of his swelling nose. He could feel a warm trickle of blood on his upper lip. Ignoring it, he stepped into the doorway.


“Stupid git,” Malfoy sneered, pointing his wand at Harry.


Harry dropped and rolled as Malfoy shot a blasting spell at the spot where he had been. Harry hissed as he felt the newly clotted wound tear apart, salt mixing with blood sending stinging sensations up through his side. Harry set his jaw against the pain and sent a series of rapid fire jinxes in Malfoy’s direction. Malfoy shielded himself, returning fire.


“You know the beauty of this whole situation, don’t you Potter?” Malfoy’s panting voice cut through the fog. “You have to share with all of us.”


“All of you?” Harry shouted from behind the wall, his insides twisting with disgust at Malfoy’s words. “There aren’t any of you left,” Harry spat, throwing a bludgeoning hex into the sitting room.


Harry heard a grunt from the stairs and looked up. A pummeling spell went off its mark as another large, bumbling figure stumbled over Crabbe’s immovable form. Harry realized Malfoy must have had Crabbe and Goyle upstairs guarding Ginny. Had the timing been different, the irony of Malfoy putting his two largest goons in charge of Ginny would have made him smile. That just wasn’t a fair fight for them. Instead, Harry set his jaw and hissed.


Conico!


Goyle’s oversized darkened mass flew backward as the hurling hex hit him in his chest. Plaster rained down from the light fixtures as the walls of the cottage shook from the impact. Harry stumbled to keep his footing. He dodged a cutting hex from Malfoy, diving into the sitting room and taking cover behind a chair shoved up against the wall. Harry heard heavy erratic footfalls on the stairs and scuffling from the hallway. Goyle and Nott, both looking a little worse for wear, stood in the doorway. A little too late, Harry realized he had worked himself into a corner and the only way out was to start firing. Harry pointed his wand at the doorway.


EXTUNDO!


The red light highlighted the surprised expressions on Goyle and Nott’s faces as they hurtled into the hall. Harry stumbled backward into the wall as his body absorbed the kickback from the spell. Malfoy rounded on him, sparks flying from the end of his wand. The little sitting room of the cottage lit up as if a case of Filibuster Fireworks had been set off indoors. Splinters of wood and burning drywall flew, clouding visibility as the particles clogged the air. Harry’s feet slipped on shattered glass from the front window where a blasting spell had struck. The smell of burning fabric filled Harry’s nostrils as he dueled, first with Malfoy then with Goyle and Nott who had crawled back and were shooting spells from the hallway.


Harry ducked as a flash of sparks overshot him, from a different direction striking the wall behind him. Glancing over his shoulder, his heart dropped as he saw Zabini, who must have been freed from the binding hex, kneeling by the battered looking Crabbe. As they rejoined the fight, Harry could feel his energy levels dipping. He gulped air, his mouth filling with dust and smoke. Outside, the winter clouds shielded the moonlight from view, leaving the room in pitch blackness. Harry couldn’t see the movement, but he sensed it. Throwing out his wand, he fired.


Exanimo!


Harry caught Malfoy’s panicked gasp as the strangulation spell took hold, robbing him of air. Harry took a step toward the wheezing but was blasted back by a force that hit him square in the chest. Harry slammed into the wall of the corridor, feeling the plaster give way as his back broke through, his wand flying from his hand and clattering to the floor. Harry’s vision began to blur; his head grew dizzy; his stomach rolled. Harry pushed against the exposed stud in the wall and fell to his knees in the hallway.


“Potter, prepare to die.”


“Not today, Malfoy.”


Harry heard Malfoy’s gasp at Ginny’s voice before he felt a warm hand find his and the vibrations of shared magic flow up his arm.


Reducto!” Malfoy spewed into the darkness.


Harry yanked Ginny to the ground, his fingers woven with hers. Fire blazed from within, a force of reds and golds building as Harry, acting purely on instinct, held out his hand and bellowed.


AESTUO SANIES.”



The sound of burning agony came at them from all directions as the unfocused spell radiated throughout the room. Nott and Goyle fell forward, writhing on the floor, their eyes shut, their mouths open wide. Crabbe and Zabini let out strangled wails as they rolled in agony. Malfoy’s piercing scream filled the cottage as he fell backward, his blood boiling beneath his skin, his fingers clawing at his veins. His nails raked down his face, drawing lines of blood bubbling to the top. The smell of scorched skin filled the air. Shrieks became painful whimpers as Harry closed his fist.


Harry slumped back against the wall behind him, his shoulders sagging, his chest caving from exhaustion. His insides felt hollow and hot. His hand, still cemented with Ginny’s burned. Harry swallowed hard as he surveyed the damage.



“Four and five,” he whispered.


He felt Ginny shift her weight and lift her wand. Harry reached toward his. His voice hoarse, he whispered, “Accio wand.” As his wand flew to his hand, Harry’s palm closed around it. Ginny pointed her wand at Malfoy and performed a binding hex. Malfoy fainted from pain as the bind bit into his skin. Harry did the same on Goyle and Nott. They then turned and bound Crabbe and Zabini as well.



Lowering her wand, Ginny flung herself at Harry, wrapping her arms around his waist and squeezing tight. Harry sucked in his breath as her arms tightened over his wounded side.


“Harry, you’re hurt!” Ginny exclaimed, her eyes scanning Harry’s body and face, her fingers finding the slashes in Harry’s jumper. “You’re bleeding. Here,” she said, pushing the bottom of Harry’s jumper up his stomach.


“Ginny! You can’t do that here!“


“Shut it, Harry! You’re hurt,” Ginny said wearily, her brow furrowed. She pressed her fingers at the open wounds on Harry’s side. Harry flinched. “Sorry,” she muttered.


“Nope, it’s alright,” Harry swallowed. “Kind of tickles.”


Ginny sighed heavily. “Close your eyes,” she ordered, tense with ache and exhaustion. “I’m not strong enough to fix it, but this will be enough for us to get back to the castle.”


“I can go now,” Harry insisted, struggling to get up. Ginny shoved him back.


“Close your eyes,” she repeated, closing her own.


Warmth flooded Harry and numbness followed. Subconsciously, he sucked his stomach in as a slight chill blew over his skin. He realized Ginny had removed her fingers. He opened his eyes and looked down. The bleeding had stopped and a slight pinkness surrounded the wounds. Harry reached out for Ginny’s hand and stopped. In the moonlight, Harry could see she wore bruises like bracelets around her wrists. Harry looked up at Ginny’s face and lit his wand. A handprint was clearly outlined on the side of Ginny’s face. Even in the darkness, Harry could see the darkening bruise highlighting her left cheekbone and a smear of dried blood below her swollen bottom lip. “What did they do to you?” he growled, his eyes blazing with anger, his thumb lightly touching her cheek.


“Nothing,” Ginny answered, brushing aside Harry’s hand. “Not really. Can we just leave? I’ll tell you when we get back to the castle. I promise.”


The front door of the cottage blasted open in a shower of sparks and splinters. His heart in his throat, Harry scrambled to his feet, his wand pointed at the intruders, Ginny by his side.


“HARRY! GINNY!” Nathan bellowed as he charged into the cottage, his hair wild, his eyes searching.


“Professor Borgin?” Ginny called.


“Thank Merlin!” Nathan exclaimed relieved, hopping over the bodies littering the floor. His eyes frantically searched Harry and Ginny from head to toe, searching for anything wrong. “Are you alright? It took five minutes for me to understand what Dobby said. Then the tunnel collapsed ““ Nathan paused, his eyes traveling over the forms on the floor. “How many Slytherins did you two take care of tonight?”


“One, two three four, five,” Anna commented from the hallway. “Nice blood boiler, there. And this one has a nasty looking broken arm. I didn’t see anyone outside. You two alright?” she asked, stepping over Goyle and Nott. Stopping before Ginny, Anna shook her head at the sight of Ginny’s injuries. “They deserve what they got,” she muttered before enveloping Ginny in fierce hug. Before Harry knew what was happening, Anna had wrapped her arms around him, too, giving him a quick, reassuring hug.


“Anna, why don’t you see Harry and Ginny back to the castle? Dumbledore wants to see you two. I’ll take care of these…” Nathan’s voice trailed off as he searched for an appropriate professor type word to use for the Slytherins.


“Ingrates?” Anna offered.


“Wasn’t what I was thinking, but that won’t get me suspended,” Nathan said grimly. “I’ll take care of these ingrates.”


Harry and Ginny nodded and followed Anna out of the cottage.


++++


“Headmaster, they left school grounds!”


“Yes, Severus, they did, as did five members of your own house,” Dumbledore pointed out.


“School rules expressly state ““


“Enough, Severus!” Dumbledore cautioned, holding up his hand to silence the Potions Master. “I am well aware of the school rules “ as I am of the Ministry’s laws,” Dumbledore said, nodding at Jeremiah Lachley, assistant to the head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.


Word had reached the Ministry of a spell battle occurring in Hogsmeade well past midnight. Fudge had flooed Ameila Bones in a tizzy. What if Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley were involved. What if it was another Death Eater attack on them? It would just look disgraceful! This needed to be investigated! Ameila Bones assured Fudge she would take care of it and immediately contacted Albus Dumbledore who had just finished speaking with Nathan from the fireplace in the cottage. Dumbledore in turn reassured Ameila it was not a Death Eater attack but instead the affair had all the appearances of a prank gone awry.


Ameila relayed this message back to Fudge, who had been under growing pressure by the press and public to become more involved with peace keeping since the Knocturn Alley attack. Fudge in turn insisted the Ministry have some type of presence at Hogwarts within the hour to make sure the whole thing was taken care of satisfactorily. Ameila had held her tongue until the Minister’s head had disappeared from her fireplace and then promptly let out a frustrated scream.


Her nephew Stewart, who was still a bit jumpy after suffering considerable spell damage in the attack on Diagon Alley this past summer, had waddled into the kitchen, eyes wide with fright, wand at the ready, webbed feet and hands quivering. Ameila picked up a few stray feathers, the last of the molting process, as she told him she would be going up to Hogwarts to inspect a small incident. Stewart quacked once and asked if it was really nothing, didn’t she have someone else she could send, a direct report perhaps? Amelia paused, smiled, told Stewart she was glad his beak had finally fallen off and had flooed Jeremiah Lachley, her assistant.


At the sound of his name coming from the fireplace, Jeremiah, who was in the middle of a midnight snack induced dream, had flown up from his couch where he had fallen asleep, the bowl of crisps balanced on his stomach flying forward, showering his boss with salt and crumbs. Swiping fried potato bits out her hair, Ameila promptly told Jeremiah to get to Hogwarts. So, now he stood here, picking crisps out of his shirt pocket, willing his fuzzy mind to remember what his role was, and wishing desperately that he was back at home, curled up next to his sleeping wife.


“Nathan, how is everyone?” Dumbledore asked, as Nathan stepped into his office.


“They’ll be alright,” Nathan answered wearily, eyeing Lachley with curiosity and coldly ignoring Snape. “All of them are under Poppy’s care now. Anna is keeping an eye on them.”


“Headmaster, this should be dealt with promptly,” Snape pushed.


“And it will be,” Dumbledore replied. “Do you have an explanation?”


“A bit of one,” Nathan said. “Harry and Ginny are in pretty bad shape ““


“Headmaster ““


“As are five members of your house, Severus,” Nathan cut back in, his eyes challenging Snape to say something more.


Snape clamped his mouth shut.


“Who is he?” Nathan asked, motioning at Lachley with his head.


“Uh, Jeremiah Lachley,” Jeremiah introduced himself, holding out a hand to Nathan. “Assistant to the Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement.”


Nathan raised his eyebrows to Dumbledore as he shook Jeremiah’s hand. “What’s the Ministry doing here?”


“Fudge,” Jeremiah replied unenthusiastically.


Nathan looked back at Lachley. He liked him. “Ah.”


“As both Severus and Jeremiah have pointed out, rules were broken, property was damaged ““


“And fixed,” Nathan commented, holding up his hand.


“And fixed,” Dumbledore continued, “and some form of action must be taken. And while Expulsion,” he said, looking directly at Snape, “is the rule, it seems harsh in light of the fact it would involve a significant portion of your seventh year students, Severus,” Dumbledore said. “I will be taking twenty points per student from each house,” Dumbledore raised his hand to silence Snape’s outburst before it began. “And detentions will be served. Severus, please coordinate with Hagrid and Mr. Filch as to who will be needed where for the following week. Nathan, I believe you have uses for Mr. Potter and Miss Weasley?”


“Yes, sir,” Nathan nodded.


“But sir, I don’t believe that is appropriate,” Snape argued.


“And I don’t believe luring a fellow student out of the castle in the middle of the night in these dangerous times is at all appropriate either,” Dumbledore said shortly. “If you would care for me to revisit the realm of expulsion for your students, I will do so.”


Snape stiffened his spine and nodded curtly.


“So be it. Mr. Lachely, will this suffice for your purposes?” Dumbledore asked.


“I believe so,” Jeremiah answered. “I will assure the Minister there was no Death Eater activity. I can’t guarantee, however, it will stay out of the paper.”


“Ah well,” Dumbledore sighed. “That is to be expected.”


“Good night, then,” Jeremiah said, and exited.


“Is that all, sir?”


“Yes Severus, it is,” Dumbledore said as the Potions Master made his way to the steps and left, Nathan following. Dumbledore stood up behind his desk. “Nathan, will you keep me informed?”


Nathan stopped and turned back, his eyes calculating as they gazed at the Headmaster. He paused before giving a curt nod.


“Thank you,” Dumbledore replied sincerely as Nathan turned and left.


++++


Harry and Ginny sat at rectangular shaped wooden table located in the middle of the Room of Requirement. A fire crackled merrily in the hearth at one end of the room lending its color and warmth to the atmosphere. The walls of the room were lined with bookshelves crammed full of spell books. Two chairs had been situated at the table which had been supplied with ink, quills, rolls of parchment and lots of room to spread out their research.


This was the third night of detention. Harry and Ginny had been in here each evening, poring over pages of text until their eyes crossed. With a frustrated groan, Harry slammed the book shut in front of him and scooted it to the middle of the table.


“Nothing!” he grumbled, running his hands through his hair. “Do you get the feeling we might be going down the wrong path?” he asked, looking up at Ginny who was staring at the ceiling in the center of the room. He winced at the yellow smudges on her cheek. Harry swiveled in his chair to see what she was looking at. Looked like a ceiling to him. He turned back. “Ginny?” he prodded, nudging her foot under the table with the toe of his shoe.


“Wha “ oh, sorry, Harry, did you say something?” Ginny asked, returning to the present.


“Do you get the feeling we might be going down the wrong path?” Harry repeated.


Ginny sighed heavily. “Yeah “ no “ maybe. Oh, I don’t know,” she admitted, her hands propping up her chin. “It seems right. It makes sense, as much as it can. Maybe we just need fresh eyes.”


“Yeah, I’m getting pretty tired,” Harry said, leaning back and stretching.


“No, that’s not what I meant,” Ginny said. “I meant, perhaps we need a new perspective. Perhaps we need help.”


“Help? Like Nathan?”


“Or like Ron and Hermione,” Ginny said. “We’ve always done our best thinking together. Maybe it’s time we think together again.”


“What about Neville?” Harry asked. “And Joanna? Might be a good opportunity for them to learn more about bonding,” Harry suggested.


“Yeah,” Ginny contemplated. “And we might want Luna, too. I have a feeling what we are going to come up with might require some creative thinking that is a little other worldly.”


Harry nodded and grinned. “I like it.”


“Me, too. Let’s go!” Ginny said, pushing her chair back.


Half an hour later, Harry and Ginny were back in the Room of Requirement. While they had been gone, the room had reconfigured itself to hold three additional tables, along with supplies and chairs for everyone. Harry had found Nathan in his office and he in turn had fetched Anna. Now assembled, all eyes were directed at the fireplace where Nathan, Harry and Ginny stood, talking in hushed whispers. Nathan scratched the back of his neck and nodded. He then stepped back and waved his wand. A blackboard appeared to the side of the hearth.


“Oh, wait a minute,” Ron said. “You didn’t say anything about a lecture!”


“Ronald!” Hermione admonished. “Harry and Ginny need our help and we’re going to give it to them.”


“You know, mate, I’d do anything for you,” Ron said, acknowledging Harry, “but I’m not taking notes.”


Hermione rolled her eyes. “You may borrow mine,” she said, pulling a piece of parchment toward her.


“Actually, Hermione,” Ginny said, stepping forward, “I think you might want to listen before you take notes. There will be plenty of note taking soon enough.”


Hermione blinked incredulously at Ginny as if she had spoken a foreign language. Her brow furrowed and her mouth opened and closed like a fish. With a gleeful grin on his face, Ron reached over and plucked the quill and parchment from Hermione’s hands and dropped them to the floor.


“Alright,” Ginny began, “as you know, Harry and I are serving detention this week due to an unfortunate incident last week ““


“Still think we should have just shoved the git starkers in the lake smothered in fish guts and let the squid at him,” Ron muttered.


“I’ll pass your suggestion onto Hagrid,” Nathan whispered.


“And,” Ginny continued, raising her voice over her brother’s, “that incident made us realize we might be running out of time to find a solution to our problem.”


“What problem?” Neville asked interested.


Nathan cleared his throat and stepped forward. “The Dark Lord has been given a potion that contains Ginny and Harry’s bonded blood. What this means ““


“I’m not sure I understand,” Joanna said, looking around the room.


“This isn’t promising, is it?” Luna commented mildly.


“What does that mean?” Neville asked, squeezing Joanna’s hand until she inhaled sharply and he let go.


Nathan continued. “The potion he was given was not an immortality potion. However, because it did contain Ginny’s bonded blood, she is now technically bonded to Lord Voldemort.”


The expected winces and gasps at the Dark Lord’s name never came. The shock in the room was visible and vibrating, just hovering above the tables begging to be touched and twanged. Joanna was first to break the silence.


“Eeuw.”


There was a brief pause before Harry snorted. Ginny giggled. Hermione rolled her eyes.


Grinning wryly, Nathan continued. “That’s probably the most honest response I’ve heard to that statement yet. Thank you, Joanna.”


“Uh, you’re welcome, sir,” Joanna said, her cheeks glowing red.


“What we have been working on,” Ginny continued, “is a spell that will break the bond.”


“Wait a minute,” Ron said, his brain kicking into gear. “The only way to break a bond is through death. You aren’t dying. Either one of you. You are NOT DYING!”


“Ron, I don’t think that is where they are going,” Anna said.


“Die a little bit,” Hermione said in a whisper.


“I’ve heard of creatures who do that,” Luna said thoughtfully.


“No!” Ron said, turning to Hermione. “Not a little bit. Not at all!”


“No, Ron,” Harry said, “Hermione is just repeating something Ginny and I were talking about earlier. Here, before we get into specifics “ we asked you here to ask for your help.”


Ginny nodded. “We have an idea of what needs to be done. We just aren’t sure anyone has ever done it before. We need help. We need help in figuring out how to do what needs to be done.”


“We’d like your help,” Harry said, looking at his friends earnestly. He felt Ginny slip her hand into his and give it a reassuring squeeze. He squeezed back.


“The Long Neck Lunkbuglers die a little bit every time they blow,” Luna said nodding satisfactorily as she reached forward to take a piece of parchment and a quill from the middle of the table. “I’ll write my father to find out what he knows about it.”


“Th-thank you, Luna,” Ginny said, smiling at her.


“What do you know so far?” Joanna asked. Joanna got the distinct impression from the disgruntled look Hermione shot her, she had just stolen Hermione’s question.


“Go ahead, Ginny,” Nathan said, taking a seat next to Anna at the table.


Harry stepped back and smiled encouragingly at Ginny. Ginny swallowed, nodded resolutely and motioned for Hermione to take her place at the blackboard. As Ginny spoke, Hermione created a bullet point list.



What we know “


1 “ Catarina manipulated Tom’s blood to bond him to his physical form.

2 “ In order to manipulate Tom’s blood, an enormous amount of Magic would need to be used.

3 “ Ginny’s blood in Tom is bonded to Harry’s blood in Tom, giving Tom Ginny’s blood protection.
(Ron snorted at this. “Mum will be thrilled,” he noted dryly.)

4 “ A bond can only be broken through death.


What we think needs to happen “


1 “ Ginny needs to break her bond with Tom. (“Without dying!” Ron argued.)


If this happens, then “


1 “ Can Tom’s physical form be separated form his essence?
(Joanna started giggling at this, earning another reproachful glance from Hermione. “I’m sorry,” she gasped, wiping at the tears seeping out of the corner of her eyes. “You said essence, I thought perfume. Eau de Evil, you know.”)

2 “ Can his essence be captured?




“So, what have you determined so far?” Anna asked, studying the list.


“That no one has tried this before,” Harry replied.


“Then we’ll just have to come up with something on our own,” Hermione replied. “I’d say we should split up into teams, working on specific parts of this and see what we get. I will make up revised study schedules for us all so we can make sure we have enough time to study and do this.”


“And I’ll see about getting us something to eat,” Anna said, standing up with her hand on her stomach. “I need food.”


“I like you,” Ron said, nodding in agreement.


Anna grinned at him. “Thanks. Back in a sec.”


Groups and tasks were organized, and soon the room was filled with the sounds of pages flipping, quills scratching and discoveries and disappointments. Anna returned, followed by Dobby and Winky who were laden down with trays of pumpkin juice and biscuits.


“Professor Borgin?” Ron called, spewing crumbs across the table. “My next detention, can I serve it with you?”


“You have a detention coming up?” Nathan asked.


“Nothing on the schedule as of yet,” Ron said. “I just want to get my request in when it happens.”


“Ronald!” Hermione sighed, as she got up to retrieve another book from the shelves.


Ginny looked up from the shelf she was sorting through as Hermione approached.


“Ginny,” Hermione said in hushed tones, “why is Joanna here? I mean, I understand Neville and even Luna since we’ve been through a lot with them, and I know Joanna’s your roommate, but do you really think it’s wise to share this with more people?”


Ginny straightened up and pursed her lips. She hadn’t thought about anyone, let alone Hermione being a little put out by the addition to the group. And she wasn’t about to explain to Hermione what Joanna’s relationship to Neville was. It wasn’t her place to do so. Ginny pondered the predicament as Luna approached.


“Hello,” Luna greeted airily as she floated to the shelves. “Neville and his soul mate are rather sweet, aren’t they?”


“Soul mate?” Ginny asked surprised.


“Yes, you just have to look at them to realize they are soul mates. Like strawberries and clotted cream. Meant to be together forever.”


“Right,” Ginny said nodding slowly as Luna passed on. Turning to Hermione, Ginny grinned wryly. “Hermione, I might be more concerned about Luna than I would be about Joanna.”


“Hmm,” Hermione commented, watching the Ravenclaw select a book. “But still ““


“Look, Hermione,” Ginny said firmly, “Joanna is a friend and my dorm mate and a very bright girl who might be able to really help us. She wants to be a healer and spends loads of her free time trailing after Madam Pomfrey. Between her and Neville, they probably know most of the things that can be done with magical plants without even looking them up. She’ll be really useful to have on our side. Trust me.”


Hermione’s expression told Ginny she wasn’t pleased, but in the end, Hermione shrugged her shoulders and said, “We’ll see,” before heading back to her seat.


“You two alright?” Harry asked, coming up and setting his hand on her shoulder.


“Yeah,” Ginny said, her eyes traveling between Joanna and Neville and Hermione. “Did you know Neville and Joanna are like Strawberries and clotted cream?” she asked.


“Luna?” Harry surmised.


“Luna,” Ginny confirmed.


“I like Luna,” Harry said mildly.


Ginny giggled. “Me, too.”


++++


A week later, Joanna opened the door to the Room of Requirement to find Ginny asleep, several open volumes in front of her pillowed her head, her quill, lightly held between her fingers, resting in a small pool of drying ink. Carefully setting her book bag down on the floor, Joanna gave Ginny’s shoulder a nudge.


“Ginny?” she said softly. “Ginny?”


“Moway,” Ginny mumbled, turning her head to the other side, as if switching ears would make the annoying voice disappear.


“Ginny, you’re asleep in the Room of Requirement,” Joanna said a little louder.


“Mmf.”


“Ginny, Harry is waiting over by the fire to snog you senseless. If you don’t wake up, he’ll leave,” Joanna said, elbowing Ginny in the side.


Ginny snorted into the book. “I’m awake,” she said drowsily, arching her back and stretching. Yawning, she looked hopefully toward the fireplace. “No fire. No Harry. Exactly why did you wake me up?”


“You were drooling,” Joanna said, pointing at darkened circle on the book where Ginny’s mouth had been.


“Oh,” Ginny said, wiping her mouth with the sleeve of her jumper.


“So, where are we today?” Joanna asked, looking over Ginny’s shoulder.


“Here,” Ginny said, pushing it over. “Go at it. I have no idea why all books on blood bonds have to be so dry. They’re awful.”


“Well, see, there is our calling, then,” Joanna said, studying the page. “We have to write the first real page turner on blood bonds.”


Ginny opened her mouth and clamped it shut. It’s not my business, she told herself adamantly. But then she saw Joanna’s cheeks turn pink. Controlling the squeal that threatened to escape, Ginny gently placed her hand on Joanna’s arm and leaned forward.


“We’ve been talking about it,” Joanna said, not meeting Ginny’s gaze. “Haven’t said yes or no, but we’re talking about it.”


Ginny bit her bottom lip and nodded, her eyes bright with excitement.


“That’s all I’m saying,” Joanna said firmly.


Ginny nodded emphatically again.


“You might want to let that breath out you’re holding before you explode, though,” Joanna said, flipping a page.


Ginny grinned and exhaled. “Thanks.”


“No problem,” Joanna said, placing a finger on a sentence in the book she was reading. “Ginny,” Joanna said slowly, “you can see your bond right? It’s the ribbons, right?”


“Right,” Ginny said nodding. “They weave together, kind of like this,” she said, weaving her fingers together and pulling them, so they interlocked. “You can probably see them free floating from inside you. When you bond, they find their anchor in, well, Neville.”


“How?” Joanna asked, smiling at Luna who had just entered.


“Well, when you have the bonding ceremony,” Ginny glanced at Luna who had sat down across from them, “the combined magic that is you and your bond, encircles you and binds you together outside. The Mediator then takes that magic and forces it into the bond to bind you on the inside.”


“So, both sides of the bond are anchored. Then, when a Mediator performs an Obliteration Charm,” Joanna mused, “she does the reverse?”


“From what I’ve read, yes,” Ginny said, holding her fists together in front of her “Imagine grabbing two ends of a scarf and pulling it in two,” she said, jerking her fists apart. “It takes an incredible amount of power to do it, so much that what ends up killing the Mediator is the combined sheer force it takes to do the charm and the intense pain caused by such a violent act.”


“Well, I can see why Harry isn’t really thrilled with it, then,” Joanna observed.


“Yeah,” Ginny sighed. “He doesn’t want to hurt me.”


“So, we need to determine how to break the bond so it’s not so ‘violent’ and how to get you enough power to do it,” Joanna said.


“Low Neck Lunkbuglers have soul mates,” Luna said.


Joanna raised her eyebrows at Luna.


“As soul mates, they are inseparable, even in death,” Luna continued. “My father wrote back. When the female dies, the male stands over her blowing then will feed off her stomach contents until he, too, starves to death, unable to leave her side. Thus, they die a little bit with each meal.”


Joanna bit the inside of her cheek to keep from laughing and nodded, her eyes bright with mirth.


“So, it’s rather simple for Ginny and Harry, don’t you see?” Luna said, turning to her parchment.


“Harry’s supposed to feed off my stomach contents to stay alive?” Ginny said, wrinkling her nose.


“Better hope he likes what you had for lunch,” Joanna observed.


Ginny shook her head to clear it of thoughts regarding digested food and smile at Hermione who had just entered the room. “Harry and I already determined that we’d probably have to be connected in some manner to have enough power to do the spell.”


“That makes sense,” Hermione said, settling herself at the table. “I’ve been thinking, though, even if you have enough power to perform an Obliteration Charm, you’re going to have to get to the blood in order to do it, right?”


“That’s a good point,” Ginny said, absently rubbing the scar on her palm with her thumb. “Blood is bonded through physical contact,” Ginny said slowly. “In order to manipulate it, I have to be in contact with him, close contact.” Ginny swallowed distastefully at the notion.


“In contact and powerful enough which would mean having Harry there,” Hermione said. Hermione leaned down and whipped out a thick volume from her book bag and flipped through the pages. “Ginny, Harry can connect with Voldemort. He’s done it before. At the end of the Triwizard Tournament.”


“Priori Incantatem?” Ginny said.


“Exaclty,” Hermione said. “Here. This author “ Spence Stuckley ““


“Nice man,” Luna commented airly.


“-says he believes bonds reside in the heart “ ’In the case of a true love bond, the anchor is the heart.’ If that’s the case, you don’t need to break your bond with Harry. You need to remove the anchor in Tom. If there is no anchor, there is no bond.”


“Does he have a heart?” Joanna asked.


“No,” Ginny shook her head adamantly. “It’s why Catarina didn’t heal him totally. There was no heart.”


“So the anchor to your bond in Tom is his blood,” Hermione nodded. “It’s Harry’s blood in Tom.”


“So we still have to destroy Tom’s blood which has the bonded blood in it which means I’m obliterating my bond in Tom,” Ginny said dryly. “So the question remains, is my bond with Harry gone then? And if not, would my bond with Harry be enough to keep me alive?”


“You stay connected with your soul mate and your soul mate saves you,” Luna interjected.


“Luna has something there,” Joanna commented. “If the wands were connected, and you and Harry are connected, Harry might be able to pull you through if we can figure out how. And you in turn could give him any extra magic you might have left to finish the job.”


“Finish the job?” Hermione asked.


“Uh, finish off He-Who “ oh,” Joanna grimaced, “Vol-de-mort. You have to, because if he isn’t taken are of, and he got a hold of Ginny, they could really bond. Again. In an actual ceremony. Does this make sense?”


“Oddly, yes,” Hermione said, nodding her head and looking at Joanna with a look of respect.


“Spence Stuckley once wrote an article for The Quibbler on how not to have your heart destroyed in a duel.”


Hermione, Joanna and Ginny all turned to look at Luna who blinked calmly back. “It was quite good, actually. One of our best selling editions,” she stated. “He wrote a book about it in the end.”


Hermione flipped the book she’d consulted over to read the spine. “Anchors Away “ How to Not Get Tied Up in Magical Knots?”


“Yes. A best seller in port towns, as I recall.”


“Ah,” Hermione said, flipping back to the index. “Here we go. A list of suggestions on how to avoid having your heart/anchor destroyed.”


“I should probably read that,” Ginny said biting her bottom lip and nodding her head.


“Beats half digested fish,” Joanna said, reaching for a piece of parchment.


“Pardon?” Hermione said, her face a little green.


“Never mind,” Ginny waved at Hermione.



++++


A/N “ Many, many thanks to wvchemteach for his undying patience with my battle scenes. You know the spell.


And my thanks to Anya for being my second set of eyes.

Thumbs up to bogus7, too, my awesome mod! Thanks!
Simple by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter




Simple





Fire shot through his veins and he wished for death. He dug his fingernails into the threadbare rug to pull himself forward, toward the door, but he could not get away from the unbearable pain. It followed him, searing his insides with punishment for foolishness he was responsible for, and yet, had not committed. He heard himself scream as he felt his intestines twist and knot and tear. His mind teased him, beckoning him toward blissful blackness but he could not go. The torture kept him teetering on the edge of consciousness, then suddenly, it released him, leaving him panting in a pool of his own sweat.


“You will tell your son not to touch her. She is mine and I will have her unharmed.”


“Yes, my Lord,” Lucius agonized faintly into the floorboards, his mind swirling with nauseous thoughts of how Draco would pay.


+++++


Sitting on her bed, Joanna read the front page of The Daily Prophet with a sinking heart. There had been another Death Eater attack, this one being in London. She recognized two of the families. They worked for her father. One of them had a daughter in Ravenclaw. Joanna’s insides ached as she felt the tears gather in her eyes. Sniffling, she swiped at the moisture with the back of her sleeve and swallowed hard. She was so sorry.


Joanna closed her eyes and rubbed her forehead, a mixture of tiredness and tears causing her head to ache. Dropping her hand, she tilted her head back and blinked at the ceiling. Joanna felt a little guilty feeling angry. Her anger was petty and selfish, but she could not help thinking about how the article impacted her, too. The last owl Joanna had received from her father said if the attacks kept getting closer, she would have to come home.


….I realize Hogwarts is as safe as anywhere, but in these times, it would be nice to have my family all under one roof, to hug goodnight and kiss good morning…


Joanna could not argue against that, but her heart was here. Deep down, she needed to be here. To go home would rip her in two. She had replied to her father saying she understood and loved him and her mum very much but she was needed at school. Glancing at the paper spread out on her bed again, Joanna felt her heart constrict for the families suffering losses everyday and knew her request had most likely fallen on deaf ears.


“Hey, Joanna,” Ginny said, dropping her book bag on her bed and flopping down. “You alright?”


“No,” Joanna replied, tossing the paper over on Ginny’s bed. “There’s been another attack.”


“Yeah, I read about it this morning at breakfast,” Ginny said quietly, turning the paper so the headline blared at her. She sighed. “Marta wasn’t in Ancient Runes. I heard a couple of Ravenclaws talking, saying her grandmother came to pick her up.”


“Would it really be home if your parents weren’t there?” Joanna asked quietly.


“I “ I don’t know,” Ginny answered, her voice cracking.


“My parents might come get me.”


“What? Has something happened?” Ginny asked concerned, moving from her bed to Joanna’s.


“No,” Joanna shook her head. “My dad sent me an owl after the last attacks. He said if they continued, he would rather I be at home than here.”


“But, Hogwarts is safe!” Ginny argued. “And you’ve got classes and ““


“And Neville. I know!” Joanna replied dejectedly.


“Have you told them no?”


“I sent an owl. I don’t think it will matter, though,” Joanna said dejectedly. “My father can be rather stubborn about certain things, especially his family.”


“I’m really sorry, Joanna,” Ginny said. “I hope it doesn’t come to that.”


“Me, too,” she sighed, checking the time on her watch. “We’d better get going. We’ve got Charms.”


“Joanna,” Ginny said, sliding off the bed and gathering her book bag up, “have you told Neville?”


“No,” Joanna shook her head. “With Valentine’s Day coming up, I’m kind of hoping the whole thing just goes away and I won’t have to - like if I don’t say anything, it won’t happen. Think it will work?”


Ginny smiled wryly at her friend, placing a comforting hand on her shoulder. “In my experience, ah “ no. But, there’s a first time for everything. Come on, let’s go.”



++++


“Well, if it was meant to be easy, someone would have already banished him by now, I suppose,” Anna said from the floor where she was gathering the quills she had knocked over. Three pairs of eyes stared blankly at her as she righted the holder and replaced the quills. “What? Too much truth, not enough encouragement?”


Ron sighed. “You know, being the Room of Requirement, you would expect you could simply walk in, and there, in the middle, on a pedestal, would be the book, open to the right page, a nice glowing light all around it. Maybe even some light, airy music playing…” Ron’s voice trailed off wistfully as he looked around the room in hopes of finding his wish.


“Of course, Ron,” Anna commented, “if you took that view, perhaps the Room of Requirement might be doing just that. Except that a little of what you need is over there in that book and a little is over there in that one…”


“Thanks, Anna,” Ron said dryly.


“Anytime. So, what are you three dashing young men doing for the women you're going out with on Valentine’s Day?” Anna asked, leaning forward eagerly.


“Valentine’s Day?” Ron asked blankly. “What’s today’s date?” he asked, fishing in his bag for Hermione’s revised study schedule.


“February 8th,” Harry answered immediately.


Ron pulled his rumpled schedule out of his bag. He checked it and hung his head.


“You didn’t notice the moaning about Hogsmeade being cancelled?” Harry asked. “Or the decorations in the common room?”


“No!” Ron groaned. “You’re telling me you did?”


Smirking, Harry nodded. Ron turned hopefully to Neville, took one look at the expression on his face and sighed. “You know, Neville, your face might crack in two with a grin that big on it.”


“Yep,” Neville answered, his cheeks warming.


“Finally figured out what makes it work?” Harry asked, smiling at Neville’s happiness.


“Nope,” Neville shook his head, his grin not wavering. “Gave up.”


“Easier that way,” Ron nodded. “Love is hard.”


“Now that’s where you’re wrong, Ron,” Anna said smiling. “Love isn’t hard. Love is simple. Think about it “ what did you do to fall in love with Hermione? Did you have to solve a difficult problem or train for months on end or fluff up your back feathers? No, you just fell in love. Love is simple. It’s the relationships that are hard. Once you start thinking about love, putting expectations on it, demanding things of it “ then it becomes complicated.”


Harry glanced over at Ron who, judging by the jerking of his head, was trying to nod his head in agreement while shaking it in disagreement simultaneously. Harry grinned. “Give it up, Ron. She’s right.”


“Did you see the notice about the dance?” Neville broke in, changing the subject.


“Dance?” Anna said. “Really? I love to dance. Especially when I have someone to take me. Have you asked your girlfriends?” she asked, smiling around the table.


“Oh, come on, Neville,” Ron said, throwing a waded piece of parchment at his head, “that smile is making me sick to my stomach.”


“It’s not exactly like we didn’t have to see that same smile plastered on your face for a good six months when you and Hermione first started dating,” Harry commented, flipping a page in the book he was reading. “What are you getting Hermione, by the way?”


“I don’t know,” Ron said exasperatedly. “Valentine’s Day seems so trumped up. Just an excuse to spend money “ money I don’t have.”


“Ron, stop being such a spoil sport,” Anna scolded, sitting back in her chair, her hands resting lightly on her thickening waistline. “Valentine’s Day isn’t about money. It’s about showing your ‘someone special’ how you really feel about her. Or in my case, him. We get so caught up in things,” Anna waved her hand over the books spread out on the table, “like trying to banish the most evil wizard in the world, we forget to live. If we forget to live, he wins.”


“You’ve been hanging around Dumbledore too much,” Ron observed.


“It’s true,” Neville said, “if we don’t give it our all now, we might not get our chance later.”


“Neville, you have it bad,” Ron stated.


Neville’s cheeks flamed red but that didn’t keep the grin from coming back.


“Alright, Neville, if you’re so into this holiday, what are you getting Joanna?” Ron asked, crossing his arms in front of him and tipping his chair back onto its back legs.


“Sorry, Ron, can’t tell you,” Neville said, picking up his quill.


“You don’t know!” Ron claimed triumphantly, slapping a hand on the table top.


“No, I do know. But it’s for her. Not for you,” Neville said firmly.


Harry’s body shook with silent laughter at Neville’s put down. The movement drew Ron’s attention.


“So, then, what exactly are you getting my sister for Valentine’s Day?” he asked, tapping his fingers on the tabletop expectantly. Harry’s shoulders stopped shaking as he went completely still.


“An entrapment charm,” Harry replied quietly.


“You’re going to entrap my sister? I might have to call you out for that,” Ron said.


“No, no,” Harry said, shaking his head and looking up at Anna. “What do you know about Entrapment Charms?”


Anna bit her bottom lip and sat back, her eyes growing distant as she searched her mind. “Entrapment Charms were popular with the Egyptians. Bill might be a good resource for them. You know the Egyptians believed you could take it all with you and tried to do just that. Most believed reproductions of animals and servants would suffice as long as they carried the essence of the being’s spirit. Entrapment charms were used to ‘capture’ the spirit, so to speak and to contain it in a clay figure.”


“Did it work?” Harry asked.


“Well, you don’t see a lot of reincarnated Egyptian witches and wizards wandering around with their entourages, although some argue that is due to poor mummification. Air gets through the bandages and well, it gets ugly,” Anna explained, wrinkling her nose and standing up to walk around and read over Harry’s shoulder. “You know, something like this might work.”


“Really?” Ron said, leaning forward.


“The Egyptians didn’t steal real spirits of living individuals, obviously,” Anna said. “They would essentially capture a dead spirit that embodied the desired type of individual. It was rather complicated spell work and involved a crew of witches and wizards simultaneously working together “ spirits, even dead ones, are funny beings…” Anna walked up to the chalkboard. With a flick of her wrist, the Obliteration Charm appeared. Anna followed the notes, the corrections, the additions with her finger as she contemplated the outcome of the spell. “If this works, and Ginny can destroy the anchor, that would leave blood and spirit,” Anna said, turning around to face the table. She tapped her nose with her finger and tapped her toe in time. Slowly, she nodded into the expectant silence, her face grim. “We can do this,” she said solemnly, meeting Harry’s eyes.


“I’ll be there,” Ron said firmly.


“Me, too,” Neville agreed.


Anna shook her head. “This is something Harry and Ginny have to do on their own,” she said thoughtfully. “If you and Ginny are bonded for the Obliteration Charm, you can’t simply ‘un-bond’ without doing significant damage to each other. It would be like reaching into your middle and ripping out your heart,” Anna said, sitting back down at the table. “But that’s alright because this will have to be something the two of you do together. You will need each other. It will take an inordinate amount of power to capture his spirit.”


“What do you do with it once you capture it?” Neville asked.


“Good question,” Anna said. “You have to entrap it in something and then dispose of it…”


“The veil,” Harry answered.


“In the Department of Mysteries?” Ron asked.


Anna nodded and shrugged. “Makes sense to me. Of course, we need to figure out what kind of Entrapment Charm could work on a live spirit and how you,” Anna said, nodding at Harry, “are going to be able to cast it without “ well, we just have to figure it out.”


“Without what?” Ron asked.


“Without me overpowering Ginny and killing her in the process,” Harry said quietly.


Anna stilled for a moment as she met Harry’s unwavering gaze. She nodded slightly. Harry glanced at Ron, expecting an outburst of sorts. Instead, Ron met his eyes head on and inhaled deeply.


“Well, then let’s get to it,” Ron said, reaching over for the book in front of Harry and beginning to read.




+++++



“ARGH!” Harry pushed back his chair in frustration and stood up. “There’s nothing! Nothing in any of these books that tell us what to do!” Harry began to pace around the Room of Requirement, empty except for him and Ginny.


“Harry, we know what to do. Look at the boards. We have an Obliteration Charm that we think will work. We’re working on the Entrapment Charm. We’re doing fine,” Ginny said patiently from her seat at the table. She and Harry had had this conversation at least a dozen times since he had told her of the Entrapment Charm.


“That’s not what I mean! I mean we can’t do this, not like this. We can’t be connected to do this!”


“And if we aren’t, there won’t be enough power to do both spells!”


“There might be,” Harry argued.


“No, Harry, there wouldn’t be. There wouldn’t be enough left of either one of us,” Ginny replied.


“And there might not be anything left of you if we do this at all!” Harry shouted, slamming his fist on the table. Harry placed his hands palm down on the table and leaned toward Ginny. “I will not sacrifice you. I can’t go on without you,” he growled.


“Harry,” Ginny said, her voice gravelly with exhaustion, “I could lose you, too.”


“I know, Gin, but chances are it’s going to be you…there has to be another way.” Harry said, leaning back and running his hands through his hair.


Ginny sighed. Her eyes were itchy, her neck stiff, her mind numb. She was in no mood to argue with Harry. She knew if she did, she was just going to end up saying something she would regret later.


“Harry, can we do this tomorrow?” she asked, closing the book in front of her to signal she was done for the night.


“My mind isn’t going to change in the morning,” Harry answered stubbornly.


“What will change your mind?” Ginny asked exasperatedly.


“An answer,” Harry barked, “an answer that will say you won’t die or be hurt. That you will be alright.”


“Harry, there are no answers like that,” Ginny cried. She could feel her emotions bubbling up, the tired tears making their way up her throat, her hold on her anger and frustration faltering.


“How do you know?” Harry asked hoarsely. “None of this,” Harry waved his had at the boards, “this wasn’t there before. Who says we haven’t looked hard enough. Or far enough. You yourself said maybe what we were looking for was out of the world as we know it. Maybe it’s still out there!”


Harry dropped his hands to his side, his shoulders slumping, his eyes pleading with Ginny’s. A tear leaked out of her eye and slid down her cheek. She swiped at it impatiently with the sleeve of her jumper.


“We’ll keep looking tomorrow,” she whispered, turning away to gather her books.


She felt his touch on her shoulder, a pressure directing her body to turn around. Harry’s hands framed her face and his lips found hers. There was no softness, no gentleness in this kiss. This kiss was a kiss of desperation and fear. Anxieties battled with greater emotions, fighting to find physical reassurance amidst the pressure. Ginny moaned as Harry’s hands moved down, wrapping around her and pressing her close, as if enough pressure would cause them to meld into one being, allowing him to protect her with his own skin. Ginny’s senses exploded, her mind a blur as she felt her distress mix with Harry’s. It sunk through her, past her heart, past her knees, right out her toes. A sense of numbness remained in its wake, curling, warming, tingling as the kiss changed, becoming gentler, the anger and frustration fading for the present, giving way to something more.


Ginny saw the ribbons, their normal brightness deepen, their colors changing into the vivid mahogany hues of passion and desire. Tongues entwined, Ginny ran her hands down Harry’s back, finding the waist band of his jumper and tugging it up. Harry pulled back to lift the jumper over his head and she gasped from the loss of contact. Throwing the sweater aside, Harry grabbed at Ginny, pulling her back against him, her palms landing flat against his chest. Harry’s breath hissed as Ginny’s fingers curled into the cotton of his t-shirt, scratching him through the fabric. His hands found the bottom of her blouse and pushed it up, his fingers seeking the smooth warmness of her back. Ginny shivered against him as she gave herself up to the sensations growing throughout her body that wouldn’t be appeased, no matter how hard she tried to melt into him. Ginny’s mind became a picture show of sensation “ Harry’s lips on the bare skin of her neck; her hands beneath his t-shirt, molding to the contours of his back; Harry’s ragged whisper, “I won’t lose you. Ever! I can’t live without you.”


The words crystallized in Ginny’s mind as she felt Harry pull back to rest his forehead on hers. His breath, warm and short, brushed her skin, mingling raggedly with hers. Ginny kept her eyes closed, arms around Harry’s waist, her heart thumping against Harry’s. Her cheeks were burning. Her lips felt bruised. And her entire body yearned for more.


“I won’t lose you, He’s taken everyone else, he can’t have you.” Harry repeated, his voice husky and broken as he struggled to regain control over his own senses.


Ginny opened her eyes, swallowing the lump in her throat. She leaned back to look up. Harry’s glasses were smudged, his hair a mess, his lips parted and red and inviting. Ginny, not able to help herself, raised up on her tip toes, placed her palms on either side of Harry’s face as he had done to hers and fiercely pressed her lips to his. Pulling back only slightly, she whispered against his lips, “You won’t. I promise.”


Ginny lowered herself onto her heels and rested her cheek against Harry’s chest. She made Harry her anchor and tightened her hold, listening as his heartbeat slowed to a solid, comforting thunder under her ear, the ribbons behind her eyelids lightening into a dazzling rainbow of color. They stood there, holding onto each other, gaining the strength necessary to let go.


Harry cleared his throat and squeezed Ginny tightly once more. “We should get going,” he said hoarsely into her hair.


Ginny nodded reluctantly and squeezed back, before letting go. Gathering their belongings, they silently walked, shoulders brushing, hands clasped, back to Gryffindor Tower. They climbed through the portrait hole into the deserted common room.


“I didn’t realize it was so late,” Ginny said.


Harry dipped his head pecking her on the lips. “Almost midnight,” Harry said reluctantly letting go of Ginny’s hand. “Sweet dreams. I’ll see you tomorrow.”


Ginny smiled softly at Harry and nodded before heading up to her room. Mechanically going through the motion of getting ready for bed, Ginny crawled beneath the covers and closed the curtains around her. She sunk into the warmth and softness of the bedding and sighed. Flipping over to her side, she made room for Chehalis under her chin and closed her eyes, waiting for sleep to drag her under. It didn’t come. Harry’s words kept creeping across her mind and her body wished for someone other than a cat to snuggle up with. Ginny turned over again, scrunching her pillow up under her head. She willed her body to relax, trying to clear her mind. She saw ribbons. Disgruntled by her lack of stillness, Chehalis got up, stretched, and circled her body, settling on a space to the left of her feet. Frustrated, Ginny stared at the ceiling for a few minutes before giving up and pushing back her covers. Slipping into her robe, Ginny slipped out of the room and headed back to the common room.


Ginny walked to the sofa in front of the fireplace and sat down, curling her legs underneath her and leaning her head against the arm. She watched the embers flicker, welcoming the drowsy warmth. She smiled as she realized the warmth was coming from the inside out and wasn’t surprised at all when she heard his voice behind her.


“Scoot over.”


Ginny gladly made room and Harry crawled behind her. He pulled her into his arms, snuggling her back against his chest. She relaxed as his soft breath flowed over her ear and his feet warmed hers. Ginny closed her eyes.



++++


Joanna checked her watch as she trotted down the steps from the girls’ dormitory. She had four minutes. The wiggle in her stomach traveled upward and erupted in an ear splitting grin as she neared the bottom. On a whim, she leapt off the third from the bottom step and landed with a “THWUMP!” on the floor. She straightened up and stopped.


“Neville! You’re early,” she said, her smile being replaced with a shade of crimson to match the Valentine’s decorations hanging around the common room. Pressing her hands to her burning cheeks, Joanna smiled weakly at her date, then looked back at the steps before returning her attention to Neville. “Ah, well, that…uh, well, hmm “ you look nice,” she finished.


Neville grinned widely. “You do, too,” he said, helping her on with her cloak.


Joanna giggled. “Thanks.”


Dress for the evening was casual. Professor McGonagall had expressly stated no denim as Valentine’s Day was a celebration, but had conceded that dress robes were a bit much. Especially since the festivities were outdoors. Neville held out his elbow and Joanna gladly wrapped her hands around his forearm and stepped forward. Neville didn’t follow. Turning around, she gave him a quizzical look.


“Joanna, we “ uh, I ne “ need to tell you something,” Neville said, pulling his arm back and turning to face the fireplace.


Joanna stood, cemented to the spot, her heart plummeting from her middle to her feet. She swallowed, biting her bottom lip to keep it from trembling. She wished she could keep her knees from doing so, too. She closed her eyes and tried to channel her sisters “ their devil-may-care attitudes, their snappy comebacks, their ability to hold a stiff upper lip. She deflated. She wasn’t any of those things. If Neville was going to tell her this was it, she would try not to beg, but she couldn’t guarantee she wouldn’t break.


“I “ I wanted to tell you I want to do the bonding ceremony.”


Joanna’s head snapped up. “You aren’t breaking up with me?”


“Breaking up with you?” Neville repeated dumbfounded. “Why would I want to break up with you?”


Joanna felt her face flush, her tongue grow three times its normal size and her brain shut off. “You’re not breaking up with me,” she repeated dazed.


“No,” Neville said, shaking his head and looking at her as if she was batty.


A light bulb went off in Joanna’s head. “You want to do the bonding.”


“Well, if you do,” Neville replied, stepping up to her. “I mean, if you don’t, it’s alright. I just had been thinking about it, and,” Neville’s face flushed to match Joanna’s, “and I can’t imagine not doing it.”


“Really?” Joanna said disbelievingly.


“Really,” Neville replied slightly annoyed.


“Really,” Joanna repeated, her face breaking into a radiant smile.


Neville cleared his throat, his mind a little dazzled by Joanna’s joy. It still threw him that he could make her feel that way. “So, should we go?”


Joanna nodded, her ability to form an intelligent sentence gone. She didn’t mind a bit.



++++



The Valentine’s Day boardwalk was at least two couples wide, allowing privacy and passing room on either side. In a gradual series of single steps separated by stretches of flat path, the walk was lined with strings of fairy lights attached to lamp posts, and led from the front doors of Hogwarts down to the lake. At oddly spaced intervals, a smaller walkway would meander off to a private bench or an overlook where a magical display of lights or music could be enjoyed. Strolling musicians made their way between the couples, string instruments accompanying love songs sung by clear, sweet enticing voices.


Professor McGonagall stood to the side of the doors handing out pouches that jingled to each student who passed. The velvet drawstring bags held heart shaped coins, each engraved with sayings such as “You can’t put a price on love” and “Isn’t she worth it?” The coins could be spent at the carts interspersed along the way, some selling the usual romantic trinkets of flowers and chocolate, others selling things a little more magical.


Professor Flitwick bobbled up and down excitedly in front of one, attempting to entice students to spend a few hearts having a love poem composed by an enchanted quill.


“Guaranteed to tell your lady exactly what is in your heart!” he called, waving to the couples passing by.


Hermione raised her eyebrows at Ron as they passed the cart, but he steered her clear.


“It’s not that I don’t love you with all my heart, Hermione,” Ron said, tugging her along. “But you know what they say about the way to a man’s heart being through his stomach and right now I’m starving. If we were to stop, it would probably jot down something about how much I’d love you to be a plate of bangers and mash right now.”


“Classy, Ron,” Hermione sighed, rolling her eyes.


“I prefer ‘honest’,” Ron grinned, leaning down to give her a kiss on the cheek.


“Ronald, have you forgotten everything we taught you about women?” a familiar voice asked from a cart up ahead.


“You know honesty isn’t always the best policy,” a second voice chimed in.


“Fred? George?” Ginny asked as she and Harry joined Ron and Hermione on the boardwalk. “What are you two doing here?”


“Chaperones,” Fred said, hooking his thumbs under the lapels of his sparkling red jacket.


Ron snorted.


“What? Don’t believe we could be?” George said indignantly.


“No,” Hermione replied.


“Well, it was worth a shot,” Fred shrugged. “Evening, Harry.”


“Hi, Fred,” Harry said smiling. “Hey, George.”


“Is this your cart?” Ginny asked, eagerly walking over and beginning to inspect the wheeled vehicle behind her brothers.


“Yep,” Fred said. “Dumbledore asked if we would like to be a part of this evening.”


“You know, good marketing, and all,” George explained.


“What are you selling?” Harry asked.


“Is this a love potion?” Ginny asked, holding up a bottle. “Does it work?”


“Of course it works!” Fred grinned. “For a mere two hearts we can guarantee the love of your life will fall in love with you.”


“And what if things go awry?” Hermione asked skeptically.


George leaned over and whispered conspiratorially to them, “We sell the antidote in our shop and will gladly owl it to you tomorrow morning for two Galleons plus shipping.”


“We have mints that will make you into a silver tongued devil for the evening; miniature fireworks to dazzle and delight that can be held in your hand with no injury to you or your date; and our newest product which was inspired by a certain cloak of yours,” Fred said, nodding at Harry and holding up a small, flat rectangular package. Leaning close, Harry read the inscription on the label.


“Invisishield “ When You Desire Privacy and None is to be Found.”


“Here,” Fred said, opening the small package and drawing out a piece of shimmering silk stretching from above his head to the boardwalk. He held it up in front of him and let go, leaving the fabric hanging in mid-air, hiding him from view.


“For the purpose of this evening,” George said, “one could steal away for some romantic time with that someone special,” George said, stepping behind the cloth. An exaggerated wet smooching sound came from behind the cloth.


“Aw, come of it!” Ron gagged as Ginny giggled.


George reappeared, the back of his hand to his lips, as Fred rolled up the shield.


“How much?” Ginny asked curiously.


“Oh, no, not for you,” Fred said, eyeing Harry. “Can’t be making it easy for our little sister to go off for a snog. But for you, Ron, we’ll call it a professional sample.”


“You need all the help you can get,” George chimed in. “Bless you, Hermione.”


“No problem,” Hermione sighed. “I’m rather surprised, though, that you don’t have any thing like an instant date. You know, ‘transfigure this mouse into an ethereal being for your evening’,” she continued sarcastically.


“Tried,” Fred sighed. “McGonagall said we couldn’t sell them here.”


“That, and the frogs we used just kept licking Stewart when he asked them to dance,” George said. “But you know, Fred, maybe if we used something less reptilian…”


“Oh, before I loose my appetite,” Ron said, dragging Hermione down the boardwalk.


“I’ll take one of these,” Harry said, holding up a palm sized box of Weasley Wizarding Wheezes Fireworks For Two.


“Ah, lovely choice, young Harry,” Fred said, pocketing Harry’s heart coins. “You two young lovebirds have a lovely evening,” Fred sighed, clasping his hands under his chin and battling his eyelashes at them.


“Yes,” George said, waving like an excited old woman at their backs. “Enjoy yourselves. HANDS A LITTLE HIGHER THERE, P ““


George’s mouth kept moving but no sound came out as Harry and Ginny casually stowed their wands. Ginny smiled brightly and waved and they kept moving down the walkway.



As the boardwalk neared the lake, it became wider, forming a deck that traveled halfway around the lake. At either end, tables for two, four and eight were set with flickering candles and polished silver. As students sat, the intricately folded napkins levitated up, snapped flat and gently floated down into the diners’ laps as their plates and goblets magically filled.


A dance floor separated the tables. The space glowed warmly, lit from above by paper lanterns suspended in the night. Couples swayed to music being played by a band whose sign in the middle of the stage listed them as “The Night Nifflers.”


Beyond the stage, Ginny could see the boats used to bring the first years across the lake lit up with fairy lights. Hagrid stood on the end of the dock, helping a couple of students into one of the boats. As he stood up, Hagrid noticed Ginny and waved. He motioned for her to come and take a ride and she nodded, pointing to the tables and miming eating. Hagrid smiled and turned to assist the next couple wanting to take a gentle cruise on the water.


“Can I take your cloak?” Harry asked, offering his arm.


“Oh, yes,” Ginny answered, working on the clasp. “They must have put warming charms on this part. This is really nice,” Ginny said, handing Harry her cloak and weaving her hand into his.


“Yeah,” Harry replied, his eyes trailing over the scene. “I heard Dumbledore was really sorry Hogsmeade had to be cancelled. Flitwick was in charge of all of this,” he said, ducking as a Cherub flew overhead, shooting arrows of sparkling glitter into the air.


“No wonder he’s been so distracted in class this week,” Ginny said, reaching up to brush some sparkles out of Harry’s hair.


“Come on, you two,” Ron called impatiently from a table. “I’m starving and the plates won’t fill up until the whole party is seated. Oh, and the chairs won’t come out unless you pull them out for your date,” Ron said, rolling his eyes at Harry.


“It’s called Chivalry, Ron,” Hermione explained exasperatedly. “Opening doors, standing up when a lady enters the room “ it’s simply being polite.”


“And why can’t women do that when men enter the room, then?” Ron complained.


“It wasn’t my idea. Ask King Arthur,” Hermione said.


“I thought the Muggles had a Queen right now,” Ron said.


“Never mind,” Hermione sighed, shaking her head.


Ron shrugged his shoulders and leaned back, letting his napkin float into his lap as his plate filled in front of him. Conversation shifted to mundane talk about classes and Quidditch and couples on the dance floor as they ate. It was an unspoken agreement that tonight, the war was left outside the festivities.


“Hi guys!” Neville said, as he and Joanna stopped at their table. It was hard not to smile at the pair. Something good seemed to radiate off them, filling whoever was in their presence with a sense of happiness.


“Hi Neville. Hi Joanna. Having a good night?” Hermione asked.


“Isn’t this lovely?” Joanna said, her eyes twinkling merrily. “Did you see the carts? Neville bought me a poem. Want to see it?”


“No!” Neville cried, trying to grab the pink piece of parchment Joanna held out to the table.


“Oh, come on, Neville,” Joanna said, leaning into him. “It was sweet.”


“Uh, Joanna, there’s nothing here,” Harry said, turning the parchment over to make sure he had the proper side up.


“What do you mean?” Joanna said worriedly, taking the parchment back. “No, it’s right here, see “ oh,” she said, as Harry’s hand touched it and the writing faded.


“That’s rather clever,” Hermione said. “The parchment must be charmed to only reveal the poem to the person it was intended for.”


“Seems like you’re off the hook, Neville,” Ron said, leaning back in his chair.


“Oh, well, I can always read it out loud to you,” Joanna said, clearing her throat.


“Look! Hagrid has a free boat,” Neville said, pulling Joanna along behind him.


Joanna giggled as she let Neville lead her off. “Guess I’ll have to read it to you tonight, Ginny. Maybe you two could get Ron and Harry to buy you one and we can compare?”


Hermione raised her eyebrows at Ron. “You’ve eaten now. Shall we?”


Ron groaned and looked pleadingly at Harry who was placing his napkin to the side of his plate. Harry leaned over and whispered in Ginny’s ear, “Care to dance?”


Harry could have sworn if the lights went out, the smile she gave him would have lit up the entire boardwalk. His heart leapt at the sight and he grinned back.


“I’d love to. Excuse us,” Ginny said, as Harry stood and pulled her chair out.


“No, Harry, that’s not fair, y-you can’t just leave,” Ron sputtered as Harry led Ginny to the dance floor.


Ginny had no idea what song the band was playing and she didn’t really care. Stepping into Harry’s arms and resting her cheek on the scratchy wool of his jumper, she closed her eyes. She felt Harry’s hand find hers and they swayed on the dance floor, the rest of the world melting away. Internally, Ginny watched the ribbons, growing brighter with their closeness, flooding her body with warmth and rightness. If she hadn’t heard her feet stepping on the wood of the floor, she would have sworn she was dancing on air.


Ron turned to Hermione who was gazing thoughtfully at Harry and Ginny. He watched her catch her bottom lip in her teeth and tilt her head, her brow furrowing.


“You alright, Hermione?” he asked. “If you really want a poem, I’ll go b-“


“No, Ron, it isn’t that,” Hermione said, waving at him to be quiet. “It’s “ it’s “ huh,” she said, sitting back in her chair.


“Huh?” Ron asked confused.


“No,” she said, shaking her head. “That’s too simple. It can’t be.”


“What can’t be?”


Hermione suddenly stood up, her chair tilting precariously backward on two legs into the table behind them. Ron caught it before it crashed into the other diners.


“Sorry ‘bout that,” Ron said, as Hermione brushed by him on her way to the dance floor. “Wait, Hermione! Come back here!”


Hermione stopped centimeters from Harry and Ginny, her eyes focused on their joined hands. Ginny opened an eye inquisitorially. Hermione started to smile.


“Hermione!” Ron said, coming up beside her.


“What is it?” Harry asked, as he and Ginny stopped moving.


“I think I know the answer,” Hermione said, clasping her hands around Harry and Ginny’s and looking up to meet their eyes. “You’ve got it in you already.”


“I’m lost,” Ginny said, eyeing her friend a little warily.


“Let’s go for a boat ride and I’ll explain,” Hermione said, marching off in Hagrid’s direction.


Hagrid grinned at them as they approached. “Havin’ a good Valentine’s Day?” he asked, motioning for one of the waiting boats to glide up to the dock.


“Yes, thank you, Hagrid,” Hermione said, climbing into the front of the boat.


“Now, no rockin’ the boats on the lake,” Hagrid cautioned, as he helped Ginny into the back. “I don’ want t’ ‘ave t’ swim after the lot o’yeh,” Hagrid said, tapping the boat with his pink umbrella and sending them off with a wave.


Once they were safely out of earshot, Hermione clasped her hands in her lap and leaned forward.


“I think I figured out how to protect Ginny during the spell,” she said excitedly. “It’s in you already. You don’t have to do a thing! It’s really brilliant and it’s all your mum’s doing, Harry. And yours, too, Ginny.”


“What do you mean?” Harry asked.


“Alright, the first part of the spell is an Obliteration type charm, right?” Hermione said patiently. “In order to do it, you two have to be connected which you can do through your bond. You have to be connected because Ginny on her own would not have enough power to break Voldemort’s bond. But together you would. The fear is when you combine magic and then perform the Obliteration Charm to destroy your bond within Voldemort, you will die. But your bond with Harry in Harry isn’t broken.”


“We know all this, Hermione,” Ginny said.


“I know, but think of what else is in your bond. It’s your mother’s blood protection. You gave it to Harry. He can give it back. I read your mother’s research, Harry,” Hermione said breathlessly, her eyes bright with excitement. “Sanguis is the study of Progeny Magic. Progeny Magic is fueled by love, and that was abundant between you and your mother, both of you. When you bonded, Ginny, you shared your mum’s love with Harry, but Harry also shared his mother’s love with you. That, on top of the fact your bond is one based on true love, it makes your bond within each other unbreakable. No Obliteration Charm can break a love match like that. It’s impossible.”


“Why is it impossible?” Ginny whispered.


“Because true love is immortality in its purest form,” Hermione recalled, Borgin’s words from so long ago echoing in the night. “And there isn’t anything purer than a mother’s love.”



“Are you sure?” Ron asked skeptically. “Is it really that simple?


Ginny’s hand squeezed Harry’s as she nodded. “A mother’s love is. At the registration, Mum told me that for a mother there isn’t anything greater than loving a child and that’s what gives a baby the protection.”



”That still doesn’t mean she might not die,” Harry said quietly.


“Harry, listen to me,” Hermione said, resting her hand on Harry’s knee. “Your bond is protected. Through that, you can give Ginny the will to live. You can keep her alive. You love her enough that you can do it. I know it.”


Harry’s eyes bored into Hermione’s, seeking any remnant of doubt she might have. There was none to be found.


“It will work, Harry,” Hermione said earnestly. “At least in theory. Harry, you’ve proved everyone wrong once and lived because you were protected by your mother’s love. I’m certain it will work again.”


“How?” he asked, his voice a hoarse whisper. “How do I pull her through?”


“Through the ribbons,” Ginny said, her voice quiet but confident. “You’ve manipulated them before. You can do it again. It might take some work, but you can do it.”


“Will you teach me?” Harry asked, looking down at her beside him.


Ginny smiled gently. “We’ll start tomorrow.”


As the boat approached the dock, Harry leaned down to place a soft kiss on Ginny’s lips. The nagging anxiousness still inhabited his heart, but it felt lighter. As he pulled away, he heard Ron snort and something jab him in the side.


“Here,” Ron said, keeping his eyes averted. “I’ll buy another.”


Harry chuckled as he looked down at the Invisishield in his hand.


“Oh, let them get their own,” Hermione said, placing a hand on Ron’s knee. “I’m thinking we might need it. Want to go around again?” she asked, smiling invitingly at Ron. Ron grabbed the package out of Harry’s hand and waved them off as they climbed out of the boat.


“Go! Dance! Bye,” he said, ripping the package open to the sound of Harry and Ginny’s dockside laughter.


“Well,” Ginny said, smiling up at Harry.


“Yeah,” Harry grinned back. “Want to go make some fireworks of our own?”


“Harry!” Ginny grinned. “That’s rather risqué of you to suggest such a thing.”


“What? I was thinking of these,” Harry replied innocently, pulling out the box of hand held fireworks he had purchased from Fred and George earlier. “What did you think I meant?”


Ginny giggled and swatted his arm. “You know exactly what I meant, which means you were thinking it, too.”


Hand in hand, they walked past the dancers and back up the boardwalk until they came across a quiet looking offshoot and headed down it. The little path meandered back, around several trees to a small platform where a bench sat overlooking the grounds. Ginny stopped as the bench came into view and squinted. She giggled as she made out two familiar silhouettes, plastered together, enthusiastically enjoying the privacy.


“Harry,” Ginny whispered loudly, elbowing Harry in the side. “Looks like we’ll have to find someplace else for fireworks.”


In a flash, the couple on the bench shot apart and looked up.


“Ginny!” Joanna said, scooting back toward Neville when she saw who it was. “Go away. This bench is taken.”


“Joanna!” Neville admonished, hoping the darkness covered his flushed cheeks.


Ginny giggled. “You two having fun?”


“We were,” Joanna replied dryly.


“Don’t let us keep you, then,” Harry said, tugging Ginny back down the path.


“No, wait!” Neville said standing up. Harry and Ginny turned. Neville glanced down at Joanna who smiled and nodded.


“We, uh, we wanted to tell you,” Neville said, “we’re going to do the bonding ceremony.”


“Really?” Ginny breathed.


Joanna snorted.


“Really,” Neville replied rolling his eyes.


Ginny squealed and flung herself at Joanna then Neville. “I promise,” she said, squeezing them tight, “I will do my best!”


“Hey, you guys want to see some fireworks?” Harry asked, digging out the box from his pocket.


“Excellent!” Neville exclaimed, checking out the box.


“Stand back,” Harry warned, as he held them out on his palm and pointed his wand at the wick. “These are from Fred and George - and Joanna can’t heal you yet, Neville.”


The sound of laughter was soon drowned out by the whiz, whir and boom of the Weasley Wizarding Wheezes Fireworks for Two.


++++


“Joanna Blevins!”


Cold slapped Joanna in the face as she jerked back from Neville for the second time that evening. She could feel the heat radiating from her cheeks. She felt instant nervous sweat bead along her hairline. She was torn between mortification and a growing sense of fear of what that voice meant. Joanna swallowed, stepped out of the alcove in the seventh floor corridor and opened her eyes.


“Hello, Mum,” she said faintly.


She felt Neville’s hand slip into hers and a sense of warmth began to thaw the fear inside her. She glanced at Neville through her eyelashes. He was as pink in the cheeks as she was. “Uh, this is Neville Longbottom, Mum.”


“Hello, Neville,” Vivian Maddox-Blevins said, holding out her hand as she studied him.


“Hello, Mrs. Blevins,” Neville said, firmly shaking her hand with his free one.


Vivian’s eyes passed over her daughter’s slightly disheveled clothes to the fleeting glance Joanna shot Neville to the entwined hands. She fought the smile that threatened to pop out and embarrass her daughter further. Inside, though, she allowed herself to jump up and down with joy for her youngest daughter. Joanna was just like she was and she hadn’t let a boy muss her up until she was knee deep in love and sure he was, too.


Vivian pulled her daughter into a hug, kissing the side of her head and closed her eyes.


“Ah, there you are. Good, you found Joanna.”


Vivian looked up at her husband Milton as he strolled purposefully down the corridor. Vivian felt Joanna’s shoulders slump and she realized her daughter knew why they were here. She then read the expression on Neville’s face as a mixture of fear, concern and heart wrenching love for her daughter. Vivian squeezed Joanna’s shoulders and released her.


“Hi, Dad,” Joanna said, stepping into her father’s arms.


“Hello, sweetie. I’m sorry for the short notice, but it was convenient for Mum and I to come now. And who is this?” Milton asked as Joanna stepped back. “Milton Blevins.”


“Neville Longbottom,” Neville replied a little nervous, shaking Joanna’s Dad’s hand.


“Nice to meet you, Neville Longbottom. Now, Joanna, in light of not wanting to interrupt this evening’s festivities and the fact I have business in Hogsmeade tomorrow, Professor Dumbledore has graciously given your mother and I accommodations for the evening. When I’m done, we can then all return home. It shouldn’t take you too long to pack, especially if you aren’t in classes. Joanna, you look a little pale, are you alright?” Milton asked, looking at his daughter with concern.


Joanna exhaled shakily and looked at her mother for help. Vivian smiled gently at her.


“Milton, let’s not disrupt their evening any longer,” Joanna’s mum said, taking her husband by the arm. “I’m exhausted and you’ve got a big day tomorrow. We can finish discussing this in the morning.”


“Discussing what in the morning?” Milton asked. “There isn’t any reason for discussion.”


“Yes, there is,” Joanna said, finding her voice.


“No, there isn’t. I owled you that if the attacks continued, you would be coming home.”


“But sir, Hogwarts is safe,” Neville argued, Milton’s words sinking in. Joanna smiled encouragingly at him.


“Yes, but Neville, so is our home and in times like these, I’d like to have my family close by.”


“Dad, I don’t want to go. I want to stay here,” Joanna said, her voice gaining strength with each word.


Milton’s eyes traveled from his daughter’s face, flushed with annoyance to Neville’s face, flushed with embarrassment. For the first time, his eyes traveled over their entwined hands. A sinking feeling began to form in the pit of his stomach. When in love, the Belvins women were practically impossible to budge. He felt his wife’s hands encircle his arm and gently squeeze.


“Let’s talk about this in the morning,” Vivian suggested, pulling Milton away. ‘You two sleep well. It was nice meeting you, Neville. Goodnight, Joanna. We love you.”


“I - I love you, too,” Joanna replied dejectedly as her mother firmly lead her father down the corridor.


Vivian glanced back over her shoulder and saw Joanna rest her forehead on Neville’s shoulder as he wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close for comfort.




+++++


A/N “ Thank you, thank you to wvchemteach for suggesting Fred and George be silenced and to Anya for liking that bit the best “ you guys are awesome betas!


And to bogus7 - my many, many thanks for taking time out of saving the world to read my story!


I’d like to take a few lines and comment on the last chapter. For all the reviews, mails, questions, complaints, comments and encouragement “ Thank You! I have truly appreciated every one of them. One of things I’ve learned writing this story is I can’t expect to please everyone because we all bring different expectations to the table. As I tell my son, if we were all the same, how boring would that be?


For those of you who think I should have suspended Malfoy, well, in hindsight, you have an excellent point and I probably should have. For those of you wondering what’s happened to all the wonderful canon characters JKR has given us to play with “ don’t worry. They’ll be back in full force, starting with this chapter. The previous two or so chapters I took some time to explore some characters near and dear to my heart “ isn’t that part of the beauty of fan fiction anyway?


As I said, I so appreciate all your feedback “ it is what makes me a better writer and this a better story. So, please, keep it coming! Enjoy - Katy
Acceptance by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.



Acceptance





Jeremiah Lachley, Ameila Bone’s assistant, stood in front of Albus Dumbledore’s desk watching the Headmaster read the parchment he had delivered. He almost laughed outright as he realized he had spent more time in this office over the course of the past month than he ever had in his seven years as a Hufflepuff. Refocusing his thoughts, his eyes wandered to the portraits of the past Headmasters and Headmistresses who were doing their best to read over Dumbledore’s shoulder from their frames. All except one - a thin, pinched looking man who had pilfered a book from the shelves in the portrait next to him and was flipping through it, looking rather bored by the whole procedure. Jeremiah thought Phineas Nigellus Black had the right idea.


Fudge had been out of the office following Lachley’s last trip to Hogwarts. Ameila Bones had grumbled slightly at the result of the Hogwarts rulings, but with the weight of the war on her shoulders, she had put her faith in Dumbledore’s decision and let it go. Unfortunately, two days of off-site diplomatic meetings full of pressures for action had Fudge on the defensive when he stormed into her office on his return, raging how detention was not a fitting punishment for the crime committed.


“Minister, begging your pardon, but Professor Dumbledore ““


“Professor Dumbledore is a misguided fool!” Fudge interrupted Ameila Bones angrily. “It is time we show these people-“


”These people?” Amelia repeated. “These people are students!”


“Students who grow up to support He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named if we don’t show them what happens when they pull stupid stunts like this!”


“As if they won’t grow up to do that anyway,” Ameila muttered under her breath.


“Excuse me, Madam Bones?” Fudge said.


Amelia pursed her lips. “Minister, I can’t imagine Dumbledore allowing the expulsion of that many students.”


“I don’t think it’s Albus Dumbledore’s decision anymore!” Fudge snapped. “I will have him removed as Headmaster if he does not comply.”


Amelia watched as Fudge dragged his handkerchief across his brow. She didn’t have time to deal with Fudge’s final act of desperation. She hoped Albus did.


“How about suspensions?” Amelia suggested.


“Suspensions? How could a suspension be a fitting punishment for the crime of kidnapping?”


“Minister, think about it,” Amelia explained tiredly. “You yourself said it. If you send the Malfoy boy and his troop home, they simply join up with the Death Eaters strengthening the Dark Lord’s forces. If you make Harry Potter and Ginny Weasley leave Hogwarts, a place where the Dark Lord cannot touch them…”


Fudge’s nostrils flared as Amelia’s words wove through his anger. He growled and pounded the corner of her desk in frustration. “Fine!” he shouted. “Suspension, then, or I’ll have his job.”


Ameila rolled her eyes. “Fine, I will send Lachley to take care of it.”


“Lachley is the imbecile who came back ““


“Jeremiah Lachley is my assistant and I trust he will be able to deliver your message,” Amelia Bones sighed. “Now, if there is nothing else, Minister, I need to get back to work. There is a war going on, you know.”


Fudge was half-way back to his office before he realized he had been the one dismissed. His shoulders slumped in defeat. He knew his days were numbered.




Jeremiah’s eyes shifted back to the desk as Albus Dumbledore rolled up the parchment.


Dumbledore sighed heavily and stood up, his tired eyes looking at Jeremiah over the top rims of his glasses. “It’s not that I don’t enjoy catching up with past students, Jeremiah, but I do hope I don’t have to see you again for a while.”


Jeremiah grinned. “I understand, sir.”


“Yes, you would,” Dumbledore nodded. “You were always one who could see the whole picture. There are times I wish I had more of that talent.”


Jeremiah cleared is throat. “Sir? I need to tell the Minister your answer.”


“Jeremiah, I do not think these students should have to pay for Fudge’s lack of prior action in this war. I also do not believe even he believes he could take my job. However, I do believe he could spend a whole lot of energy on this when he should be spending his energy in keeping the public safe.” Dumbledore moved around his desk and motioned for Jeremiah to follow him to the door. “That being said, I agree to the suspensions on one condition. They are for a week and the students and their parents may choose if they spend them here at school or in their homes. My main concern is that at the end of the week, all of the students are safely back within the castle walls.”


Jeremiah nodded. “Yes, sir. I will pass that on.”


“Thank you, Jeremiah. And please, don’t come back,” Dumbledore smiled.


“Yes, sir,” Jeremiah grinned.



++++


No one would ever accuse Nathan of being a morning person. In their years apart, Anna had forgotten how Nathan’s main form of communication before the sun was securely fastened in the sky was growling. Several weeks of sharing their mornings had refreshed her memory which was why, taking into consideration last evening’s Valentine’s Day Festivities, she wasn’t surprised he hadn’t said anything yet. Standing in the Room of Requirement, surrounded by Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione, she could see, though, out of the corner of her eye, Ron’s hand on Hermione’s shoulder, applying gentle pressure to keep her from bouncing up and down too eagerly. Anna placed her hand on Hermione’s arm and squeezed reassuringly.


“Give it a minute. The tea will kick in soon,” Anna whispered, as she took a bite of muffin.


“I heard that,” Nathan remarked, scratching his neck with his hand.


Not able to hold back any longer, Hermione clasped her hands together in front of her. “Will it work?”


Nathan turned around and shrugged. “I don’t know,” he answered truthfully. “It’s risky. Maybe too risky.”


“But will it work?” Harry asked.


Nathan exhaled. “In theory, yes,” he held up his hands as Hermione clapped hers excitedly. “But no one has tried this before. It’s all old and yet so new at the same time ““


“Nathan, we know that,” Anna said.


“I know, but,” Nathan turned back to the black board, his voice full of uncertainty, “to be honest, I feel like we’re working without a net and I don’t like that.”


“Huh?” Ron asked, looking back at the boards in confusion.


“Sorry, Muggle expression. My mother used it,” Nathan explained, crossing his arms over his chest and leaning against one of the tables. “It’s all so “ so unknown. I wish it were more concrete,” he said, pushing himself up and starting to pace. “I mean, yes, the Obliteration Charm looks, well, doable for lack of a better word. If Lily’s research is correct, then yes, Harry and Ginny’s bond should be protected. It’s just, I’m no expert on Entrapment Charms and ““


“I know an expert “ or at least someone who knows more than the rest of us,” Anna interrupted. “Bill has studied them. He could be an extra set of eyes for us.”


“I’m not sure Bill will get past the Obliteration Charm before he shuts the whole idea down,” Nathan remarked.


“He will,” Anna argued, her voice full of conviction. “He may resist at first, but he’ll come around.”


“You’re sure about that?” Ron asked.


Anna nodded, holding up two fingers and ticking them off. “First, he’s emotionally involved and won’t be able to simply stand by once he knows we’re going to do it anyway. Second, he’s a curse breaker. Good spell work such as this is like catnip to a cat “ magnetic and addictive.”


“You say that so convincingly,” Nathan remarked.


“Don’t I, though?” Anna grinned.


“Alright, let’s say Bill can help and says it’s all good, then what?” Ron asked.


“Training,” Nathan said simply, glancing at the board. “If we’re doing this, I suggest you two spend your new found free time this week,” he nodded at Harry and Ginny, “working on becoming as strong as you can possibly be. If there is anything we can do to ensure this will work, then we’re going to do it.”


“Yes, sir,” Ginny said. Harry nodded in agreement.


Nathan turned back to the boards and crossed his arms over his chest. Deep inside, he felt the stirrings of foreboding swelling and he did his best to ignore them.


++++


Vivian Blevins rubbed her hands together to warm them, her eyes searching through the clouded windows of Greenhouse One. Professor Sprout had told her that she would most likely find Neville here. Vivian smiled as she replayed the conversation in her head. By sheer dumb luck, Vivian had approached Professor Sprout at the head table in the Great Hall and asked if there was a way to find out what class a student was in at a particular time of day. Professor Sprout had explained that the head of the student’s house would be able to give her that information and asked which student she was interested in. When Vivian replied, “Neville Longbottom,” Professor Sprout had lit up like the fairy lights that lined the boardwalk the previous evening. Since classes were about to begin, Professor Sprout had offered to walk her to the Greenhouses where Neville was working, organizing Greenhouse One before the first years’ next class.


A movement near the front row of benches caught Vivian’s eye and she leaned closer, pressing her nose to the window. Neville obviously was not expecting anyone to be spying on him because when he looked up and caught her gaze, he jumped and lost his footing. As if in slow motion, Vivian watched horrified as Neville lost his grip on a sack of something brown and steamy, sending it flying into a pile of clay pots stacked on the bench in front of him as he tumbled back into a stack of potting tools leaning against the wall. Crashing, clattering splatters radiated throughout the greenhouse as Vivian removed her nose from the glass, flung open the door and rushed forward.


“Oh, Neville! I am so sorry! I really didn’t mean to startle you,” she apologized, kneeling down next to him as he tried to extradite himself from several trowels and a rake. “Here, let me help,” she said, unhooking his robes from the tine of a spading fork that had stapled him to the ground.


“I “ uh “ thanks,” Neville replied, his face a shimmering shade of scarlet.


Vivian stood up and extended her hand in order to help Neville off the ground. He hesitated than accepted, allowing her to help pull him up into a standing position.


“Professor Sprout said you’d be here,” Vivian explained. She stepped back to give Neville a little breathing space, her heel sinking into something soft and squishy and very, very smelly. “Oh, my goodness,” she exclaimed, picking up her foot and shaking the flakes of brown off the scaled heel.


“Mrs. Blevins, I’m really sorry,” Neville apologized frantically, as he searched his pockets for his wand. “That’s, uh, - well, it’s-“


“Erumpent Fertlizer, I’m guessing,” Vivian answered, finding her own wand first and pointing it at her shoe.


“Yeah,” Neville said, momentarily forgetting his search. “How’d you know?” Neville blanched as he listened to himself ask the question. It was rather rude to simply assume Joanna’s mother knew nothing about Herbology. It was just difficult to imagine that the impeccably groomed woman standing before him dressed in a tailored black wool cloak with burgundy silk trim, performing a cleaning charm on what looked like expensive dragon hide heels, would have an extensive knowledge of processed dung.


“Erumpent Fertilizer has a rich brown color, a thready texture, and contains little particles of undigested mineral deposits which are vital to plants that do not require water to grow,” Vivian stated mechanically as she stepped over the pile of fertilizer. She smiled at Neville and shrugged. “My father was a weekend Herbologist. It was my job to mix the potting soil. As hard as I tried not to listen, some things stuck anyway. Here, let me help clean this up. It was my fault really. I suppose you don’t often have people spying on you in here,” she observed pointing her wand at the mess.


“Only your daughter,” Neville answered automatically then stopped, his face flaming again. “I didn’t mea-“


Vivian laughed and shook her head. “That’s alright, Neville. I wouldn’t expect anything less from my daughter. After all, I did the same thing to her father.”


“Mr. Blevins worked in the greenhouses?” Neville asked uncertainly.


“No “ I meant I followed him around, watched him from afar, that kind of thing. You see, I had the biggest crush on him but was struck dumb every time I came near him.”


“Oh,” Neville said, trying to fight a grin for politeness sake and loosing. He waved his found wand over the broken bits of pots, repairing them. “Did you meet at Hogwarts?”


“No, I didn’t go to Hogwarts. I went to Beauxbatons. After school, we both joined the Ministry of Magic. I met him there. But, enough about me, I came to talk to you about Joanna.”


The hollow spot that had taken residence in Neville’s chest the previous evening expanded. Deliberately avoiding Vivian’s eyes, Neville directed the last of the repaired pots onto the workbench and tucked the re-bagged fertilizer back under the bench. He then brushed his hands off on his robes and nervously glanced around the greenhouse, searching for something else he could do. If he kept his hands busy, maybe the words wouldn’t hurt so much. He jumped when he felt a gentle touch on his arm.


“Neville? Where do you think my daughter would be safer? Here or at home?” Vivian asked quietly.


“I “ I don’t know,” Neville answered thickly. “I’ve never been to your home. But I can tell you she’s safe here.”


“If she was your daughter, where would you want her to be in a situation like this?”


Neville swallowed hard and dropped his gaze to the toes of his trainers. He had spent most of last night, not sleeping, staring at the insides of the curtains surrounding his bed, mulling over that very question. Oh, so selfishly, he wanted to answer the question in his favor. But he couldn’t.


“If it were my daughter, I would want her to be with me,” Neville answered quietly to his shoes.


Vivian heard the anguish in Neville’s words loud and clear. She studied the top of his down turned head, his slumped shoulders, his dirt stained robes. With her two older daughters, Vivian had long since given up trying to understand what her daughters saw in the men they chose. As long as the significant other treated them with respect and dignity, Vivian accepted her daughters’ happiness and went on from there. With Joanna, however, she was certain she could tell exactly what her daughter saw in Neville Longbottom. He had a heart with unfathomable depths and a devotion to match. Vivian knew, if she had hand picked the man Joanna would fall in love with, she couldn’t have done a better job of it herself.


Giving in, Vivian’s heart ached a little as she gently smiled. She knew the twinge was temporary. After all, while a mother’s heart tears with each tear her child sheds, it also repairs itself with each dimpling smile, peel of laughter and jump for joy.


“Are you almost done?” Vivian asked, glancing around the neat and tidy greenhouse.


“Y-yes,” Neville answered sadly.


“Good,” she said smartly. “I was hoping you could then join me in looking for Joanna’s father. Safety in numbers, you know.”


“Pardon?” Neville asked thoroughly confused.


“Well, when I tell Milton Joanna will be staying here, I’d like as much back up as I can muster. Shall we?”


Neville stared dumbly at Joanna’s mother for a brief second, a creeping suspicion sneaking across his stunned mind that his cheeks were now stained permanently red. Vivian smiled at him, watching the wheels turn behind his eyes and laughed when she saw them click into place. Neville smiled at her.


“Thank you, Mrs. Blevins,” he said solemnly.


“No, thank you, Neville. Now, take good care of her. She’s my baby, after all.”


“Yes, ma’am,” Neville answered seriously, slinging his book bag over his shoulder. “I will.”


“I know you will, Neville,” Vivian answered confidently, pushing the door to the greenhouse open. “I know you will.”


++++


“Bill!”


“Yes, ma’am!” Bill saluted, grinning up at Anna from his desk.


“You’re taking me to lunch,” Anna ordered, handing him his jacket from the hook on the wall.


“I am? Don’t you have a husband for that sort of thing?”


“I do. But he’s unavailable. He’s a really important professor, you know,” Anna smiled cheekily.


“Yeah, I think I’ve heard of him,” Bill replied, rolling his eyes as he slipped his arms into his coat. “But why me? I’ve got to get this report on my trip to Slovakia to my boss. She’s a stickler for deadlines.”


“I think I can pull some strings,” Anna assured him, holding the door into the hallway open for him. “Come on. I’m hungry.”


“Where are we going?”


“Fish and chips. I need grease,” Anna answered as they made their way through the lobby.


“That’s healthy,” Bill commented, nodding to the guard at the front doors of Gringotts.


“Look, I’ve tried eating fruits and vegetables. I’ve tried whole grains and high fiber and lean protein. And whatever I consume, it comes right back up. Grease stays down,” Anna shrugged. “I’m just going with what works.”


Fifteen minutes later, Bill and Anna were sitting in a small Fish and Chip shop a few blocks from Diagon Alley in Muggle London. Anna breathed in the aroma of salt and grease and malt vinegar and smiled widely. Picking up a chip, she took a bite, closed her eyes and moaned.


“Uh, Anna, we are in public, you know,” Bill said, setting the vinegar down on the table.


“Sorry,” Anna replied, her expression one of gastronomical delight. “Can’t help it. Have you tried it? It’s the best.”


Bill grinned and dug in.


Dabbing the corners of her mouth with her napkin, Anna caught the eyes of two young girls dressed in school uniforms stealing glances at Bill and giggling.


“Can’t take you anywhere,” Anna teased.


“What?” Bill asked, inspecting his front to see if he had dropped something down himself.


“You leave this trail of broken hearts in your wake wherever you go.” Anna motioned behind her napkin to the table off to their right.


Bill grinned at the girls, sending them into shocked, blushing silence followed by an eruption of giggles. Turning back to Anna, he picked up a piece of fish.


“So,” Bill said, “what did you want?”


“Past a lunch date?” Anna asked, sipping her lemonade. Taking a quick look around the restaurant, she carefully pulled out her wand and muttered, “Muffliato.”. Tucking her wand away, Anna leaned forward.


“I want you to come to Hogwarts and look over a charm.”


“What kind of charm?” Bill asked.


“Entrapment,” Anna answered, eating a chip casually.


Fish half way to his mouth, Bill stopped moving and blinked at Anna. He closed his mouth, swallowed and dropped the fish back into the paper tray. His eyes narrowed and he crossed his arms over his chest as he leaned back in his chair.


“Who’s doing Entrapment Charms, Anna?” he asked suspiciously.


“It’s just something Nathan is researching. Thought it would ““


“Anna, you’ve always been a rotten liar,” Bill interrupted. “Who’s doing Entrapment Charms?”


Anna picked up her napkin and wiped the shine off her fingers tips. Smoothing the paper back onto the table, she met Bill’s gaze. “Harry and Gin-“


“No! Absolutely not!” he said firmly, scrunching his napkin into a ball and shoving it into his empty cup.


“Bill ““


“No! I will not allow this!” Bill stood and gathered up his rubbish. “Entrapment Charms are not meant to be done by children ““


“They aren’t children! You know that!” Anna argued.


“Ginny is “ she’s underage!”


“Well, no, technically - “


“Bond or not, she’s only sixteen! Entrapment Charms require at least a half dozen trained wizards to do them properly. And if they go wrong, they do irreparable damage to the witches and wizards performing them. You know that. It’s why they’re practically considered Unforgiveables.” Bill barked as he stepped away from the table to dump his rubbish in the bin. “Not to mention, there’s the whole issue of what to entrap the soul in.” Suddenly he stopped and dropped the lid to the bin. He turned and glared at Anna. Hands still full of cardboard and fish bits, Bill came back to the table.


“What else?”


“What do you mean, ‘what else’?” Anna asked evasively.


“This is for “ for - why else would they be looking at it,” Bill deduced, slumping back into his seat and dumping the remains of his lunch back on the table. “An Entrapment Charm is used if there is a free spirit out there. How exactly are they planning on setting He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s spirit free?”


Anna folded her hands in her lap. She licked the salt from her lips and calmly answered, “Obliteration Charm.”


“Are you insane?” Bill shouted incredulously causing Anna to jump. His eyes burned into hers as he leaned forward and placed his hands palm down on the table for leverage.


“No, quite sane, as a matter of fact,” Anna answered, holding her ground. “They’ve worked out a brilliant bit of spell work, actually.”


“They?” Bill asked, sitting back in his chair.


“Harry, Ginny, Ron, Hermione, Neville, Joanna and Luna, for the most part. Nathan and I have helped, but it was really the kids who did the leg work.”


“Who’s Joanna?”


“Neville’s girlfriend. Lovely girl. Wants to be a healer,” Anna explained, folding her hands on the table in between them.


“Anna, Catarina died performing an Obliteration Charm,” Bill sputtered.


“Bill, we think we have a way around that ““


“You think you have a way around it? Anna, that sounds like you’ve discovered a tomb cave-in and need to find an alternative route!”


“Alright “ poor choice of words. Hermione determined their blood protection would protect Ginny. I really ““


“Wait “ I thought Harry had the blood protection,” Bill interjected.


“He does. But when they bonded, Harry passed his mother’s protection onto Ginny. It’s a blood flow thing,” Anna said, sweeping her hands out in front of her and sending her cup flying. Ice cubes surfed across the table, into Bill’s lap and onto the floor. “Oh, crap, sorry,” she said, scooping the ice on the table back into the cup. “Look, Bill,” Anna said, righting the cup again, “Harry and Ginny are determined to do this. I want to make sure we haven’t missed anything. Will you come take a look at it? Please?”


Bill sighed heavily and brushed the ice off his shirt. “Anna, do they know what this will take? How much power, how much training? Do they know what will happen if it doesn’t work? I mean, if they can’t capture it, his spirit could be free floating, out there “ Merlin, it could be disastrous.”


“That’s what I’m hoping you could help with, Bill. I don’t want you to scare them. They’re quite determined to do this. And I wouldn’t be asking if I didn’t think we were on the right track,” Anna pleaded. “Bill, you know Entrapment Charms like nobody’s business. You’ll be able to catch anything we’ve missed and can give some tips and pointers for training. They listen to you, Bill. They trust you and respect you. You’re good. Please, Bill?”


Anna watched as the emotions crossed Bill’s face. She read the anger in his clenched jaw and white knuckles. She could see the fear in the glistening perspiration on his forehead. She heard the sound of acceptance in his sigh.


“You really think this will work?” he asked resigned.


Anna nodded.


“Exactly how do you propose for them to be able to amass enough strength to entrap a spirit, especially one that is so steeped in evil?”


“They’ll be bonded,” Anna answered simply. She held her breath as she watched the implications of that roar through Bill. She felt the most inappropriate urge to grin as she watched the war of conflicting emotions parade across Bill’s visage. She had him.


“Alright. I’ll come look.”


Anna smiled gratefully at him. “Thank you, Bill. You’ll be impressed.”


“Hmm…” Bill commented unconvinced.


“You know they’ll do it with or without you, right?” Anna said, gathering up her rubbish and standing up.


“Yeah, I know,” Bill said, following suit. “She’s my sister. Runs in the family.”



+++++


Neville paced the common room, a funny sort of restrained bounce breaking through every fifth or sixth step.


“Are you alright, Neville?” Seamus asked, as he made his way through to the portrait hole. “Something funny in the punch last night?”


“No, I’m fine,” Neville answered, his cheeks straining from an effort to maintain a normal expression.


“Right,” Seamus said, nodding slowly. “Well, if it keeps up, you might want to see Madam Pomfrey.”


“No need, thank you,” Neville answered as the portrait hole swung shut.



The discussion with Mr. Blevins had not gone well, to say the least. Well, truthfully, it hadn’t gone at all, at least not with him in the room. Milton Blevins had very politely, yet quite firmly, told him this was a family discussion and no matter what his relationship was with his daughter, Neville was not family.



“You’re wearing out the carpet, there, Neville,” Harry observed, plopping down on the couch opposite the fireplace where Neville was turning around.


“Yup,” Neville answered. “How’s your suspension going?”


“Fine,” Harry answered, opening his Charms book and propping it against his bent knee. “Lots of time to study, you know,” he answered looking up at Neville. “You alright?”


“I’m fine,” Neville answered, bouncing once.


“You’re bouncing, you know,” Harry observed.


“Can’t help it.”


“I’m sure Madam Pomfrey can give you something for that.”


“No, she can’t,” Neville said.


“No, really “ I’m sure she can,” Harry assured him.


“Don’t want to get rid of it,” Neville said, turning.


“Alright,” Harry said, turning back to his book.


Joanna had entered the empty classroom where her parents were waiting as Neville left. She shot him a confused, slightly hurt look until she glanced at her father’s expression and sighed. Then, just because she could, Joanna caught Neville’s hand and pulled him to a stop. She had kissed his cheek.


Neville stopped, and lifted his fingers to his cheek for just the length of time of the soft kiss and then to his ear. He grinned.


Ron came to stand behind the couch where Harry sat and hit him in the shoulder. “Harry,” he said, motioning at Neville. “He’s at it again.”


“What? Bouncing?” Harry asked, looking up.


“Oh, Merlin, he’s bouncing now, too? I meant the stupid grinning. But he’s bouncing? I’m sure Madam Pom-“


“I’m not going to Madam Pomfrey for this!” Neville shouted.


“Alright,” Ron said, holding his hands up and backing away.


Neville’s heart had felt like a Beater’s bat had been taken to it repeatedly. Joanna was going home. The thought of Hogwarts without her was just plain…awful. Then, at the back of the room, Joanna had breathed into his ear and his mind had cleared in an instant.


Ginny fell into the sofa and leaned against Harry who grunted slightly as he shifted to allow her to fit against him comfortably. Absent mindedly he leaned down slightly to place a kiss on the top of her head. She grinned into his shirt as her eyes followed Neville.


“Neville?”


Neville glared at Ginny, daring her to comment, as he bounced and paced.


I love you, Neville Longbottom.


“Neville? You alright?” Ginny asked concerned, as Neville paused, turned, and marched to the portrait hole.


“I’m fine!” Neville shouted as he climbed out of the hole.


“What’s up with him?” Ginny asked.


“He’s in love,” Ron complained from amidst a pile of parchment and books on the table behind them.


“Ah,” Ginny nodded, grinning up at Harry. “Lucky guy.”


“I’ll say,” Harry commented, leaning down to kiss her.


From behind them, a solid “THUNK” was heard as Ron propped a book up on the table, blocking them from view.


++++


I love you, Neville Longbottom.


Panting, Neville skidded to a stop in front of the classroom door where he had left Joanna and her parents. He might not be able to do anything about her father’s decision to take Joanna home, but at least he could tell her he would wait for her “ and find out if she would wait for him.


Gulping air, Neville straightened his tie. He tasted sweat on his upper lip and wiped it on the sleeve of his robes. Swallowing hard, he pushed the door open. At first glance, he thought the room was empty. He whirled around and grabbed the door handle to try someplace else.


“Neville? Are you alright?”


“NO!” Neville shouted, turning back and freezing, his face draining all color as he realized Joanna was sitting in the front row of seats, her expression a mixture of concern and shock at his answer.


Joanna recovered first. “Do you need to see Madam Pomfrey?”


Neville dropped the door handle and chuckled, shaking his head. “Sorry,” he grinned, “you’re not the first person to ask me that question.”


“Oh,” Joanna furrowed her brow.


“Where are your parents?” Neville asked, making his way through the desks.


“They, uh, went to see Professor McGonagall.”


Neville nodded and sat down next to her on the bench. Joanna leaned into him, resting her head on his shoulders and melting. She smiled as she felt his arms encircle her, protecting her, pulling her closer.


Neville’s voice cracked as he started to speak. “I wa “ wanted to tell you something before you left.”


“I’m not leaving.”


She felt him go still, his heart thumping under her cheek, his arms tightening around her. Joanna held her breath.


“Y- you’re not leaving?” Neville winced as his voice squeaked.


Joanna shook her head into his robes.


“Really?”


“Really!” She leaned back so she could look up at him, a smile growing from her heart and spreading ear to ear.


“Why? What happened?” Neville could feel his cheeks stretching into a matching smile.


“My mother told my father I had a knight in shining armor who could take good care of me right here.”


“She didn’t!” Neville blushed furiously.


Joanna laughed at Neville’s red face, and leaned up to kiss him. “I love you, Neville. That’s what she told him. Along with lots of other extremely rational arguments about safety precautions and classes and needing to live our lives and not stop because of the war-“


“I love you, too.”


Joanna stopped mid-sentence and blinked at Neville. She closed her eyes and let the words melt over her, like ice cream, filling in all the cracks and holes. She bit her bottom lip and smiled, her cheeks warming with blush.


“Joanna? Are you alright?”


Joanna nodded enthusiastically, opening her eyes and meeting Neville’s. Leaning in, she whispered against his lips, “I’m very alright.”


++++


Anna polished her glasses on the front of her pajamas and slipped them back on her nose. Nathan smiled at his wife as he crawled into bed next to her. He loved Anna in her glasses. She complained they made her look old. He told her they made her look sexy.


Anna glanced over at him and rolled her eyes at him over the rims. “Sexy as a school marm,” she sighed.


“I’m a professor,” Nathan answered. “School marm is a look I like.”


“I’ll be sure to let Professor McGonagall know that,” Anna answered dryly


Nathan leaned over and pressed a kiss to her cheek and rubbed her stomach.


“I am not a Buddha.”


“Not yet,” Nathan grinned, settling back against his pillows and opening his book. “Did you talk to Bill today? What did he say?”


“He’ll come. He’s not terribly pleased with the whole scenario, but who can blame him.”


“Will he tell the Order?”


“Didn’t ask. Do we have to tell them?” Anna asked, looking up from her book. She sighed at Nathan’s look. “Right. I know. We have to tell them.”


“Hey, I don’t run the Order. I’m probably lucky to still be in the Order. They deserve to know for several reasons.”


“Can we get Dumbledore to tell them?”


“Probably, but it’s still us at the center.”


“And when they say no?”


“We figure out a way to do it anyway.”


“Crap.”


“You expected me to say we figure out something different?”


“No. Not really.”


Anna heard Nathan flip a page in his book and return to reading. Anna’s mind wandered, her thoughts straying to the far corners of possibility.


“There isn’t another way, is there?”


“I don’t know, Anna. I wish there was. I wish I knew.”


“Dumbledore says this is good, right?”


“He does. But he’s been known to be wrong.”


“You say it’s good, right?”


“Yes, but my track record isn’t all that stellar either. Do you think it’s good?”


Anna bit her bottom lip and thought about it for a moment before nodding. “And Bill will, too.”


“Then, as Muggle lawyers say, we’ve done our due diligence.”


“I hope so.”


Nathan returned to his book. Out of the corner of his eye he watched Anna, her hand resting on her stomach, her eyes staring into space.


“Stop thinking about it, Anna. We can’t do anything more tonight.”


“I know,” Anna replied vaguely, her mind still working.


Nathan let her stew for another five minutes before he realized she wasn’t going to let it go on her own. Closing his book, he placed it on the table next to the bed. Rolling over, he put his arms around his wife and dragged her down next to him. Anna closed her eyes and sighed as he nuzzled her neck. Reaching up to take her glasses off, he stopped her.


“Leave those on.”


“Why?”


“Makes it easier to picture you as Minerva.”


Anna dissolved into giggles and gave herself up to Nathan.



++++



Several nights later, Bill stood at the top of the Astronomy Tower letting the crisp, cold air slither its way under his jumper. He shivered slightly and wrapped his arms around his chest. He had needed the fresh air. The chalkboards had driven him up here. The lines, the spells, the implications. He had entered the Room of Requirement with a sense of dread. He had left it feeling no better.


He wasn’t sure what he had expected. He snorted as he realized he just didn’t want to be the one to tell his mother. He had stood there, his back to the others, reading the lines, processing the movements and the incantations and he had to admit Anna had been right. This was not just some desperate attempt to fix a bothersome problem. No, the spell work on these boards was beautiful in its intricacy. It was forceful and final and very, very dangerous.


Bill had felt his heart speed up. His vision had become blurred at the edges; his breathing, shallow. He had stepped back and swallowed hard. He nodded once and turned on his heel. Without saying a word, he had pushed the door open to the Room of Requirement and exited.


His sense of unease froze in the night air. He knew it was temporary. The moment he returned to the room and looked at the spells again, his chest would erupt in a mixture of panic and fear and unexplainable excitement. He swallowed and titled his head forward, stretching the taught muscles of his neck. Yes, he found it exciting and the guilt that came with that realization burned deep. He swore at Anna under his breath. He knew she had known that if he saw it, he would be sucked in. She knew him that well. And she had been right.


The spells were powerful. The amount of magic required to perform one of the spells, let alone both “ well, under different circumstances, he would stand in line to meet the witch and wizard who could perform them. And to think - it was his little sister and the boy who held her heart. Bill exhaled, his breath smoking out in front of him. To the best of his knowledge, this could work but he hesitated to say it would work. He, much like everyone in that room, could not guarantee it. But it was as solid as anything he could have come up with.


Over his shoulder, he heard the door open and someone join him. Bill turned and was surprised to see Harry standing there alone. Bill cleared his throat.


“I think it will work,” he said hoarsely.


Bill watched Harry as he nodded and took a step forward. He looked as if he wanted to say something but did not know what words to put together. In the moonlight, Bill could see the concern and worry etched in Harry’s face, the same emotions running rampart through him, too. Knowing Harry had the same appreciation for the implications of the spell did not ease his anxiety, but it did give Bill a sense of purpose. Harry was not taking this lightly and neither was he.


“Thanks,” Harry replied, coming to a stop beside Bill, “for coming and looking at it. It “ it means a lot to Ginny to know you think it’s good.”


“And you?” Bill asked.


His hands fisted at his side, Harry’s eyes steadily met Bill’s as he answered forcefully, “I will do whatever it takes to make sure she is safe. I am not going to lose her.”


Bill was not sizing Harry up “ after all these years, Harry had nothing to prove to him “ but as he stood there, he kept his gaze locked with Harry’s, a sense of togetherness welling up inside him. Bill lifted his hand and placed it on Harry’s shoulder. He felt an odd sense of déjà vu as he nodded and spoke.


“She’s going to be alright.” Harry nodded as Bill have his shoulder a pat. “Come on, we should get back. We’ve got work to do.”


His hand on Harry’s shoulder, Bill steered Harry back through the door to the castle.



++++


Lucius Malfoy sat, toying with the top of his cane. He would pace, but he found walking to be painful, every step a reminder of why he was waiting in his study for his son in the first place. He drummed his fingers on the top of his desk impatiently. It had been three days before he had heard Draco had been suspended. Draco, who had chosen to spend his suspension at Hogwarts. Lucius knew why. His son was nothing. His son was a coward.


Lucius had sent word to Dumbledore to send Draco home. His request had at first been turned down by Dumbledore “ something about it being unsafe for students to travel to and from school presently. Lucius would have laughed at that owl had he been in better shape. He was, after all, part of the reason it was unsafe. No, Lucius was rather sure Dumbledore knew what was waiting for Draco at home, and in his ‘mis-guided’ way, was trying to protect him. It wasn’t Dumbledore’s place to protect his son. He had been forced to call in a few favors and Snape had seen to it that Draco was sent home for the remaining two days of the suspension.


Lucius preferred to do this in the privacy of his own home. Not to spare Draco the embarrassment of discipline at school. No, it was not that. In the privacy of his own home, in his own study, Lucius could administer the punishment befitting the crime. Within the walls of Hogwarts, under the ever present watch of too many eyes, he would not have been able to do what was appropriate.


As the door to his study opened, Lucius remained with his back to it. He listened to Draco’s footfalls, allowing the embers smoldering within his body to erupt into flame, mixing with the lingering pain inflicted on him by his Master for the wrong doing he had not committed. The door closed and his face cracked.


“Father.”


“Do not call me that,” Lucius hissed. “You have no right to call me that after what you did.”


“I - I don’t understand,” Draco answered, attempting to keep the fear, which he knew would incite his father more, out of his tone. “What did I do?”


Lucius stood and turned, his eyes blazing, his wand pointed at his son’s chest.


“Do you realize that by kidnapping the Weasley chit, you almost cost me my life?” Lucius growled, leaning heavily on his cane, limping a step toward his son. Draco took a step back. “Do you realize,” he repeated, his chest heaving, his wand wavering with each word, “if you had harmed her, or killed her, we would all be dead now?”


“I was never going to hurt her,” Draco pleaded, backing up until he felt the wood of the door against his shoulder blades. “After I finished with Potter, I was going to bring her to the Dark Lord ““


“YOU ARE NOT FIT TO SAY HIS NAME!” Lucius bellowed, spittle spraying forth as he formed the words. “She can heal him. She can give him what he wants,” he barked, “and you almost took that away.”


Draco slid down the door, until he was cowering before his father, his hands shielding his head. Lucius shook his head in repulsion at his son.


“You disgust me,” he snarled as his foot lashed out, a sickening crack filling the silence as toe met rib. Draco fell to the side, his arms hugging his middle, pitiful moans of pain emitting from his mouth.


Raising his wand, Lucius aimed for his son. “Pathetic,” he sneered, before he delivered the remainder of his message.


++++



A/N “ My many, many thanks to wvchemteach for all his comments and suggestions and to Anya for catching all those missing quotation marks, extra words and missing letters.


Next Chapter - A new career path for Harry? Stay tuned...
Directions by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from Harry Potter.




Directions






It had been drizzling for a week, leaving everyone feeling a little damp and moldy around the edges. Her eyes following a drop of rain sliding down the window above her desk, Vivian Blevins chewed on the end of her quill, wondering if the spring rain had caused her mind to become waterlogged. Frustrated, she traded her quill for her tea cup and took a sip. She had been attempting to jot a simple note for the past hour and somehow the words were just not flowing.


“Get over it, Viv,” she scolded herself. “It’s Augusta Longbottom. She can’t be all that bad. Neville turned out fine.”


Vivian and Milton did not run in the same social circle as the Longbottoms. However, Milton was familiar with the whispered stories regarding Frank and Alice Longbottom having worked at the Ministry for so many years. And now, they both had heard of Augusta. After their trip to Hogwarts, Milton had done a little research into the Longbottom family. Vivian had been somewhat appalled by the invasion of privacy.


“Milton! That’s just plain rude!”


“No, it’s not. If this boy loves our daughter and our daughter loves him, we deserve to know as much as we can about him.”


“You didn’t do background checks on any of the boys Amanda or Sara brought home!”


“I don’t worry about Amanda and Sara. They can handle themselves. Joanna, I worry about.”


“Why?” Vivian asked, spearing Milton with her gaze over the top of her glasses.


“We’re in the middle of a war, no matter what Fudge claims. We can’t be too careful. We deserve to know that Joanna is in good hands.”


“She is in good hands,” Vivian assured him.


Milton met his wife’s eyes across his desk and sighed. Vivian smiled understandingly at her husband. She knew exactly why he was going to the extremes.


“He’s taking her away, isn’t he?” she said softly.


Milton dropped his eyes to the paperwork scattered over his desk. Vivian walked around to stand behind his chair. She placed her hands on his shoulders and he nodded slowly. Vivian squeezed and placed a soft kiss on the top of her husband’s head.


“I love you, Milton,” she said.


“I love you, too, Viv,” he replied, covering his wife’s hand with his own. Comfortable silence that comes from knowing your spouse better than you know yourself surrounded them for a moment, until Milton looked up over his shoulder, an eager glint in his eye. “Want to know what I found out?”


Vivian rolled her eyes and stood up.


“Come on,” Milton begged, “you know you want to. She’s your baby, too, Viv.”



Setting her tea cup down, Vivian picked up her quill again and licked her lips. How she wished she had walked out of her husband’s study without giving in to the urge to protect her daughter. Now, with the mental image of Neville’s grandmother in her mind, she was stuck. What did you say in a note to a woman like that? “We love Neville. Please do not brow beat our daughter?” Vivian grimaced. Good manners were dictating she write this, but she was pretty sure a request like that would not go over very well, especially in an introduction note. With determination, she held her quill above the parchment and prayed she would make a good impression.



+++++


The room was stuffy. It hadn’t seemed stuffy when they had entered it an hour ago. But now, the air was thick and hot and heavy, pressing in on Harry and Ginny as they knelt, eyes closed, hands joined, attempting to send magic through their bond. As if there isn’t enough pressure about this whole thing to begin with, Harry thought wryly, thankful Ginny had remembered to put a cushioning charm on the floor.


He had met Ginny in the Room of Requirement after dinner that evening to continue their training. Being in between testing years, Ginny’s workload was not quite as massive as Harry’s, so she had taken the lead role in working with Bill, Anna and Nathan on determining what needed to be done. They had yet to tell Dumbledore or the Order anything, wanting to fine tune the spell and make it as fool proof as possible before they put it out there. Harry, in turn, had been doing his best to keep ahead of his revising in hopes of being able to help out, spending hours in the library buried beneath assignments and essays. When Ginny had suggested he take a break so they could work on their training that evening, Harry had gladly set aside his books for a change of pace.


NEWTs weren’t the only cause of stress within the castle walls. As spring progressed, it was hard to pinpoint exactly what was causing greater amounts of turmoil, the approaching testing or the news of current events. Daily reports of Death Eater attacks were splashed across the front page of The Daily Prophet. Even if a student did not subscribe or have access to the paper, it was hard to miss the growing number of empty seats at the House tables. Be it due to a death in the family or a doubting of the safety of Hogwarts itself, students were leaving, some by choice, others under pressure from their families.


While sympathetic to the stress the war put on the students, the teachers within Hogwarts marched on, doling out what some believed to be almost unbearable workloads. A few students had gone as far as claiming it was unfair to continue to be put under so much pressure when their fellow classmates were leaving to go home. When this was voiced in her class, Professor McGonagall threw up her hands in mock defeat, exclaiming the faculty had been found out and yes, indeed, the amount of homework was purely a ruse to keep the students’ minds off of current events. When she commented sarcastically that she would be sure to let Professor Dumbledore know his great scheme was failing, a hopeful fifth year Hufflepuff had said, “Really?” and promptly gained a scathing look from the Transfiguration professor and lost five points for her house.


His thoughts returning to the task at hand, Harry audibly sighed. “Is it working?” he asked, peeking at Ginny.


Ginny opened her eyes and shot Harry an exasperated expression. “Harry, if you have to ask, it’s not working,” she replied frustrated.


“I’m sorry-“


“No, Harry, it’s not you,” Ginny said, pushing herself off the floor. Folded over in half, she reached for her toes, stretching out her stiff leg muscles. “These things take time.”


“Why is it not working? Is it something I’m not doing?” Harry asked, groaning as he straightened his legs. “I’ve sent magic into the bond before.”


“No, it’s not you,” Ginny repeated. “Yes, you’ve sent magic into the bond, but you’ve never sent it into me. It’s got to go beyond the bond. And that is obviously going to be harder than expected.”


“But you’ve sent magic into me when we bonded ““


“Yeah, Harry, and it took several months of training to do it,” Ginny snapped as she rubbed the bridge of her nose. She exhaled as she felt Harry’s hands on her shoulders, massaging the knots of tension that had formed on either side of her neck. She closed her eyes and felt her muscles relax. “It isn’t you,” she said quietly, letting her chin fall to her chest to give Harry better access.


“Thanks for saying that,” he said, placing a soft kiss on the exposed bare skin.


“No, really, it isn’t,” Ginny said, turning around and slipping her arms around his waist and pressing her cheek into his shoulder. “You shouldn’t expect to get this overnight. It takes work.”


Harry buried his nose in Ginny’s hair, inhaling her flowery scent. A picture of her, exhausted and barely awake, leaning against him on Catarina’s porch flashed through his mind. Ginny made it look so easy. He had forgotten how much effort she had put into it before she got to that point. Harry tightened his hold on her.


“So, what do we do now?” he asked into her shoulder.


“Keep at it,” Ginny mumbled


“Gin, what happens when it does work?” Harry asked, propping his chin on the top of her head.


“What do you mean?”


“Well, you said when we bonded, there was this rush of power as magic blended together and I wasn’t even doing anything. What will happen when I succeed in pushing this magic into you?” He felt Ginny go still in his arms. He leaned back and looked down at her. “Gin?”


“Professor Borgin and I are working on that.”


Harry stepped back from her. “What does that mean, Ginny?”


Ginny swallowed. “It means I’m working on it, Harry.”


“You’re afraid I’ll over power you.”


“No, Harry, no ““


“Why didn’t you say something?” Harry asked, his expression a mix of worry and hurt.


“Because you can’t hold back, Harry,” Ginny explained. “If this is going to work, you have to send as much power as you have into me. You can’t worry about if you’re going to hurt me. That’s my job. Besides, the same amount of power that goes into me, is going to go back out through you.”


“I know that,” Harry said quietly. “I guess I just hadn’t put it all together.”


“Don’t worry about me, Harry,” Ginny said, “I’ll be fine.”


Harry shook his head in wonder at Ginny. “You’re amazing.”


Ginny snorted. “No, I’ve just had more practice. How about we call it a night on this? I’ve got some other work I need to do.”


Harry leaned down and placed a kiss on her lips. “You’re the boss.”


Ginny winked. “And don’t you go forgetting that.”


Ginny and Harry settled themselves at one of the tables. Ginny heaved her book bag onto the surface and pulled several texts out of it. Harry did the same, spreading out a half finished essay for Charms. He glanced at the books Ginny had placed over to the side. Ginny pursed her lips to keep from grinning as Harry’s hand snaked out and pulled one the books Anna had lent her toward him. She wasn’t going to stop him. She was glad he was thinking of something else besides the spell. It was of the utmost importance that Harry did not hold back. She needed every bit of power Harry had to make this work.


She watched as Harry opened the book. He had been doing this for several months now, nicking books from her book bag. Ginny had overheard Hermione scolding him on several occasions for becoming engrossed in them when he should have been studying for NEWTs. Because NEWTs were approaching, Ginny had felt a bit guilty when Harry had tagged along with her when she met with Anna instead of spending the time studying. It only took about two sessions before she realized Harry was listening just as attentively to Anna’s stories as she was, and he needed the break as much as she did. Then, showing up in crumpled robes at breakfast last week, Ron had sourly complained that someone had hexed his trunk to growl and snap at him when he went near it. Ron wasn’t positive, but he was pretty sure it had even grown fangs. Ginny had cast a knowing look at Harry who had innocently looked back at her and grinned. Anna had described encountering a similar hex in a tomb to them several days prior.


Harry glanced up at Ginny. She smiled at him and returned to her work.


++++



New Interim Minister of Magic Announced




In a formal announcement yesterday evening, Percy Weasley, a Ministry spokesperson, announced Cornelius Fudge has stepped down as the Minister of Magic. The spokesperson said the Ministry had been under growing pressure due to the recent attacks in several Muggle neighborhoods (Regent’s Park, Mayfair) resulting in severe injuries to several non-magical families.


Due to the sudden disappearance of Amelia Bones, Head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, Milton Blevins has stepped up to temporarily fill the position. The former head of the Department for International Magical Cooperation told The Daily Prophet, “I am deeply concerned about Madam Bones and will put the resources necessary toward determining her whereabouts. I am also planning on performing a complete review of the Ministry’s efforts to keep both magical and Muggle folk safe. It is time we step up and make some changes.”


Minister Blevins has several projects to wrap up over the course of the next few days before taking on the responsibilities of his new interim position. Because his office will be in flux, he has asked that all correspondence be directed to his new assistant, Percy Weasley, who will see that he obtains it in a proper fashion.






“Well, there you go,” Ron commented as Hermione finished reading the article during breakfast. “It’s about time!”


“Yes, it is,” Hermione said, folding her copy of the paper and tucking it under her plate. “I just wonder what Joanna thinks of all of this,” she mused.


“You can ask her in a minute,” Ginny said, climbing over the bench to sit next to Hermione. “She’s right behind me “ or she was,” Ginny said, looking over her shoulder. “Oh, looks like McGonagall caught her. What did you want to ask her?”


“Her father is the new Minister of Magic,” Hermione said, pushing her copy of the morning paper toward Ginny.


“Interim Minister of Magic,” Joanna corrected Hermione as she sat down. “My father wrote me that it is a temporary gig. He’s decided he really doesn’t want the job full time.”


“Really?” Hermione said surprised. “Why not?”


“Takes away time from his family,” Joanna replied, pulling a letter from her pocket and opening it. “According to the owl he sent me, this war has taught him that ‘family is precious and I want to spend my time with you and not with my co-workers “ no offense intended to them, of course.’ “


“So does that mean you have to go home?” Ginny asked confused.


“Well, no,” Joanna paused, picking up a toast triangle and beginning to nibble, “their decision to leave me here still stands. Besides, they decided it wouldn’t look right for the Minister of Magic to pull his daughter out of Hogwarts because he felt it unsafe. Talk about inciting major panic.”


“Good point,” Hermione conceded.


“Unfortunately, in the meantime, Professor McGonagall said The Daily Prophet is coming by to interview me for an article on my family for the paper,” Joanna said glumly.


“Why’s that bad?” Ron asked, standing up in preparation to head to class.


Joanna sighed. “Impromptu speaking is not my specialty, especially when I’m nervous.”


“I’m sure you’ll be fine,” Hermione assured her.


“We can work on some answers before hand, if you like,” Ginny offered. “I’m sure they’ll ask you some of the standard type questions, you know, like, ‘Why will your father make a good Minister of Magic?’ and ‘Tell us about a favorite childhood memory’,” Ginny’s voice trailed off as Joanna pulled out a quill and parchment and started writing answers.


Joanna looked up as Ginny stopped and waved her hand for her to continue. “Keep them coming, Ginny,” she said, jotting notes down.


“Yes, ma’am,” Ginny giggled. “You’ll be just fine, Joanna.”


“That’s not a question.”


“Right…okay…”



++++


“Pardon me, coming through. Sorry, there Elizabeth,” Nathan said, stopping briefly to scoop up a book he had just knocked out of the jostled second year student’s hands. Patting her on the shoulder, Nathan charged off again in the direction of the Room of Requirement. Classes began in less than a minute and he had left his notes behind. Rounding the corner on the seventh floor, he skidded to a stop, his insides rolling as he saw a familiar figure pacing in front of the statue of Barnabas the Balmy. If he had been a split second quicker, Nathan would have whipped around and lectured without them. Unfortunately, as he whirled away, Snape saw him.


“Borgin, I need to talk to you.”


Nathan turned around, unable to wipe the look of pure disgust off his face. “We haven’t had anything to say to each other in months, Severus,” he snarled.


“He’s getting stronger.”


“Of course he’s getting stronger,” Nathan snapped. “That damn potion you gave him had all the building blocks to start him on the road to recovery. On top of that, the Muggles have it right, you know. The mind is a powerful tool when it comes to healing. Ginny and Harry’s bond is getting stronger every day and he knows that. He’s living off that knowledge and it’s making him strong.”


“What are you doing to fix it?” Snape pressed.


At Snape’s words, Nathan felt something click in his brain and all rational thought stopped flowing. In one fluid movement, he slammed Snape against the cold stone wall, his right hand pining Snape’s wand arm against the stone wall, his left forearm pressing against the Potions Master’s windpipe cutting off his air supply. Nathan increased the pressure, a sick enjoyment flooding his body as he watched Snape gasp, choke and turn a ghastly shade of pale gray.


“What am I doing to fix it?” Nathan rasped unbelievingly. Snape’s mouth moved helplessly as Nathan’s hot breath washed over him. “What am I doing to fix the problem you created?” Nathan repeated, his voice a deep, ragged whisper.


Nathan moved his forearm and grabbed a fistful of Snape’s robes instead. With a heave, Nathan threw Snape into the opposite wall. He took a step forward, his anger feeding his drive to cause this pitiful excuse of a wizard as much pain as he possibly could. He drew back his fist and Snape whimpered. Nathan stopped, his brain beginning to function again on a higher level. He swallowed hard and fought to control his breathing. He straightened his shoulders and stepped back.


“What I am doing to fix it,” he breathed, “is the last thing I would ever tell you.”


With that, Nathan turned on his heel and left.


++++



These days, a seat in the library was hard to find, as fifth and seventh year students competed for coveted table space on which to work, which is why several harried fifth years were eyeing Harry with barely disguised fury as he sat at a window table staring off into space. Couldn’t he stare off into space in his own common room and give up the table?


Hermione grinned inwardly at the looks as she sat down opposite Harry, who did not even register he had company.


“Harry?” Hermione said, waving her hand in front of his face. “Hello, Harry?”


Harry jerked, sending his Potions essay to the floor. “Sorry, Hermione, I was a little lost there.”


“You don’t say,” Hermione commented wryly, fishing for her Ancient Runes text in her book bag. “You keep that up and I’m pretty sure you’ll be bound, kidnapped and left as food for the Thestrals in the Forbidden Forest.”


“Huh?”


Hermione motioned with her head to the Ravenclaw fifth years who had given up finding a seat and settled down on the cold store floor, leaning against the bookshelves.


Harry shrugged at the fifth years and fished for his essay under the table. Straightening up, Harry picked up his quill and poised it over the parchment to start writing again. Five minutes and no words later, Hermione cleared her throat.


“Harry, you’re doing it again.”


Harry sighed and let go of his quill. Dropping his forehead into his hands, Harry ran his fingers through his hair in frustration. Hermione leaned forward in concern.


“Harry, are you alright?”


“Yeah,” Harry said unconvincingly, lifting his head, and blinking his tired eyes.


“You know, Harry, I know you’re dealing with a lot right now, and this is going to sound extremely odd coming from me, but do you need a break?”


“No “ yes “ no “ damn, I don’t know,” Harry swore. “Hermione, what do you want to do with your life?”


Hermione sat back startled. “What do you mean?”


Hermione was surprised at the confusion she saw in Harry’s eyes as they met hers. She felt her heart drop as her mind began to create possibilities for what that confusion meant.


“Harry, you aren’t thinking of break-“


“No!” Harry answered loudly enough to earn a glare from Madam Pince. “No,” he whispered, shifting his weight in his chair. “I mean, about your career. What do you want to do?”


“I want to work for the Ministry, you know that,” Hermione replied confused. “I want to work in the Department of Mysteries as an Unspeakable. Why?” Harry exhaled heavily and Hermione’s eyes widened. “You don’t want to be an Auror anymore?” she whispered.


His eyes downcast, Harry propped his forehead on his fingertips and nodded.


Hermione pulled out her wand. “Muffliato. Why?” she asked eyeing the top of Harry’s head.


Harry looked up, his gaze challenging, daring her to shoot his explanation down. “Because I want to do something else,” he answered steadily.


Hermione sat there, staring at Harry blankly. Of all the things she had expected to come out of his mouth that was not on the list. And yet, he said it with such confidence, it left no room for question.


“Why?” Hermione asked, wincing at the disbelief she heard in the only word she seemed capable of saying in this conversation.


“Because…I’m “ I’m tired,” Harry said, sitting back in his chair, his face a mixture of surprise and wonder. As he answered, Hermione realized this was as new to him as it was to her. “There are things about becoming an Auror I really love, but, once this is all over, I just “ I just…” his voice trailed off as he fought to find the right words.


Hermione reached out and touched his arm. “You just want to do something different.” She spoke plainly, the understanding in her voice absolving him of any guilt he might think he needed to feel. “Harry, just because you are the one he chose, doesn’t mean you have to continue to do what you are doing now forever.”


Harry smiled gratefully at Hermione. “Thank you.”


Hermione returned the smile. “I take it you haven’t discussed this with Ginny?”


“No,” Harry shook his head. “I haven’t really been able to put it into words before.”


“Exactly what do you plan to do if you don’t want to be an Auror?”


Harry exhaled. “I “ I don’t know.” Harry sat back in his chair as he tried to organize his thoughts. “I never thought I’d say this but doing all this research for-for-“ Harry glanced around out of habit for curious ears “- the spell “ it’s been fun.”


Hermione bit the inside of her cheek as Harry blanched at his admission. She leaned across the table and patted his hand sympathetically. “I won’t tell anyone you said that,” she assured him.


Harry gave her a scathing look and withdrew his hand. “No, it’s not that I like the research part. It’s the spell part. I mean, have you read the books Anna gave Ginny? About the tombs and the tunnels and the treasures? They’re just really cool! Those wizards did some wicked stuff to keep others from finding their treasures. Then, Ginny had this one book where they were talking about how some of those spells are mutating and causing these strange things to happen to the stuff inside the tombs. There was this one where the binding spell “,” Harry stopped, realizing he had been waving his hands and rambling on with great enthusiasm for about two minutes, attracting the disgruntled attention of the Ravenclaw fifth years again. Dropping his hands into his lap, Harry slumped back, a slightly lost look coming about him. He opened his mouth and closed it. Opened it again and licked his lips before closing it. The third time, Hermione leaned forward, in case all he needed was a little encouragement and some assurance she was listening to get the words to come forth.


“I think I want to be a curse breaker.”


Hermione furrowed her brow and bit her bottom lip as Harry blinked expectantly at her. Despite having guessed where Harry was going with his outburst, she was still a little unprepared for the actual declaration. Instead of coming up with something supportive, she said the first thing that crossed her mind. “But Harry, you have to take Arithmancy to do that.”


Hermione cringed as Harry deflated before her eyes.


“I know,” Harry said glumly.


“I mean, oh, that came out wrong, Harry, I’m sorry,” she backpedaled. “You know, Harry, if anyone deserves to do something they really want to it would be you. That being said,” Hermione’s mind whirred, “the fact you are the chosen one and all ““


“Don’t call me that,” Harry winced.


“No, all I’m saying, Harry, is that you could use that to get them to bend the rules. I mean, after all, if you save the wizarding world “ I mean when you save the wizarding world,” Hermione corrected herself as Harry glared at her, “it’s really the least the wizarding world could do in return.”


“What do you mean?” Harry asked suspiciously.


“Let you come back to Hogwarts and take the classes next year,” Hermione said simply. “You’ve got all the other requirements so it would be your only class. You’d have to study pretty hard to catch up, but if it’s the only thing you’re doing, you shouldn’t have any problems. Besides, I’m sure Anna and Ginny and Bill would help you.”


“You think?” Harry said, a grin beginning to play at the corners of his mouth.


“Yes, I do,” Hermione nodded as she watched Harry stand up suddenly. “Where are you off to?”


“Off to find my new tutor. Let’s hope she’s not too expensive,” Harry said, bending down to place a kiss on Hermione’s cheek. “Thanks, Hermione!”


Pleased, Hermione smiled as Harry strode purposefully out of the library in search of Ginny. The Ravenclaw fifth years eyed the empty seat in front of the stack of books Harry had left there jealously. Hermione ignored them as she turned to her own revising. In her own way, she decided she was helping them improve their scores. Sitting on the floor was actually good for them. She’d sat on the floor plenty of times studying for OWLs. It might be cold, but they certainly would not fall asleep.


Robes billowing behind him, Harry raced down the corridor. He did not really need to know where she was. He simply followed the ribbons which lead him to the Room of Requirement. Three passes and the door appeared. Harry flung open the door and threw himself into the room. Nathan, Anna and Ginny turned simultaneously to stare at Harry, who was looking rather windswept and slightly sweaty.


“Is something wrong, Harry?” Anna asked, stepping around the table toward him.


Harry shook his head and fought to catch his breath. “No, no “ uh, Ginny, do you have a minute?”


Ginny looked questioningly from Harry to Anna and Nathan.


“Go,” Nathan sighed, waving her off. “Young love is what’s going to save this world anyway.”


Harry pulled Ginny into the corner of the room and out of ear shot.


“What’s wrong, Harry?” Ginny asked concerned.


Harry held tight to both her hands and looked into her concerned eyes. He opened his mouth to form the words but once again, nothing came out. He felt his mouth widen into a silly grin that felt like it wouldn’t stop at his cheeks, but keep going around the room until everyone was infected with this relieved happiness that flooded him. This was right, he just knew it.


As Harry’s elation flooded their bond, Ginny felt positively buoyant. She was pretty sure if she looked down at her feet, they would be several centimeters of air between the soles of her shoes and the stone floor. She was torn between drowning in the excitement shining brightly from Harry’s eyes and closing her own to watch the colors behind her lids.


“Harry, what has you in such a mood?” she giggled.


“Ginny I don’t think I want to be an Auror I want to be a curse breaker.” Harry sucked in air and looked at her expectantly, watching as Ginny repeated what he had blurted out, placing the proper punctuation in so she could process it.


“You don’t want to be an Auror,” Ginny said slowly shaking her head.


“No,” Harry said, shaking his head emphatically.


“You do want to be a curse breaker,” Ginny said nodding her head.


“Yes,” Harry answered. He felt sweat gathering beneath his collar as he waited in anticipation, his excitement morphing into nervousness as Ginny’s silence stretched. “Are you’re alright with that?”


Harry held his breath, his eyes on Ginny’s lips as they stretched into a smile.


“I’m very alright with it,” Ginny smiled.


“Really?” Harry said.



“Really.”


Harry let out a whoop, wrapping his arms around Ginny and picking her up to twirl her around. Forgetting where they were, Harry set her back down and let go, moving his hands to either side of her face and planting his lips firmly on hers. A wad of parchment hit him square in the side of the head.


“None of that!” Nathan said, taking aim with another piece of parchment. “Not unless you share what caused it with the rest of us.”


Ginny giggled as Harry wrapped his arms back around her waist and pulled her into a hug.


“I’m going to be a curse breaker,” Harry announced.


Anna grinned widely and held out her hand to her husband. “Pay up.”


Nathan groaned and dug in his pocket for a gold coin. “You are going to lord this over me for the next month, aren’t you?”


“No,” Anna dimpled, pocketing the Galleon.


“You are a rotten liar, Anna Borgin,” Nathan observed sourly.


Anna smiled at her husband and blew him a kiss. “But I am a gracious winner.”


“Wait, you knew?” Harry said, walking over to the table, his hand in Ginny’s. “But I just figured it out ten minutes ago.”


“Harry, I took the hex off Ron’s trunk,” Anna grinned. “It was brilliant!”


“Thanks,” Harry blushed.


“Unfortunately, before you start on your new career path, we still have a few other things to take care of first,” Nathan said, tapping his wand on the blackboard.


“Right,” Ginny said, squeezing Harry’s hand.


“Oh, wait until I tell Bill! He’ll be thrilled!” Anna said.


“Speaking of Bill,” Nathan broke in, shooting a disgruntled look at Anna, “when is he coming back?”


“This weekend,” Anna answered. “He said he’d do a little research on what we can use for the Entrapment Charm.”


“What do you mean?” Harry asked. “I thought he said this was good,” he said, pointing to the spell.


“It is,” Nathan answered. “But once we have the spirit, we have to have something to put it in or seal it in, for several reasons, one being we may need to transport it to the veil. Of course, that makes it sound like we’re carting leftover stew home from a family meal, doesn’t it?”


Ginny giggled. “I’d like to see what Mad Eye would think of you referring to Tom as stew.”


Nathan chuckled. “Probably not the best way to inspire respect, eh?”


“How hard is it to find a container for a spirit?” Harry asked.


Nathan traded a quick glance with Anna who answered. “Bill’s working on it. He’ll find something. You know Bill.”


“If anyone can do it, Bill can,” Ginny nodded.


“Right,” Anna said.


Conversation moved on to training and other spell related topics. Anna’s yawning signaled that it was time to go to bed and they gathered their work up. Anna smiled sleepily at Harry and Ginny’s retreating backs as Nathan closed the door to the Room of Requirement behind him. The door melted into stone wall as he took her hand and they headed off to the North Tower.


“You’re not too disappointed, are you?” Anna asked as they strolled down the corridor.


Nathan shrugged. “A bit, perhaps. Ultimately, though, I’m just glad he’s doing something he wants to do.”


“He deserves to do something that will keep that excitement in his heart,” Anna said.


“Yes, he does. We all do,” he said, leaning down to kiss his wife.


+++++


Pressing her hand against her middle in an effort to calm the butterflies flitting around in her stomach, Joanna trotted down the first floor hallway. She had been in the middle of Charms when a first year delivered a note to Professor Flitwick saying she was needed in Professor McGonagall’s office. Joanna had frozen in a state of panic. The reporter from The Daily Prophet must have finally arrived. For several days now, Joanna had been gearing up for this interview. As long as she didn’t accidentally spill the beans on any embarrassing childhood escapades and could keep her knee from bouncing uncontrollably in her nervousness, she should be fine.


Coming to a stop at Professor McGonagall’s door, Joanna wiped her sweaty palms on her robes. She tucked a stray blond hair behind her ear and took a deep breath. With determination, Joanna pushed the door a little too forcefully causing it to whoosh open and bang into the wall. Joanna cringed as the iron handle bounced against the stone and ricocheted back at her.


“Oh, I am so sorry,” Joanna apologized, catching the door before it collided with her nose. “I “ I pushed it a little too hard.”


“Yes. You did.”


Despite knowing there would be a stranger here, Joanna still jumped at the unknown voice. Her eyes darted around the room in search of Professor McGonagall but she was not there. Joanna’s gaze instead fell on the figure of a woman sitting up almost unnaturally straight in the chair in front of the desk. Joanna’s eyes trailed from the stuffed bird perched precariously on the top of the hat to the fur stole around the wrinkled neck to the sensible, low heeled walking shoes. Joanna felt her heart splash into her rolling stomach and her cheeks flame as she forgot every good manner her mum had drilled into her head from the time she could walk and blurted out the first thing that crossed her mind.


“It really is a vulture, isn’t it?”


Joanna’s mind replayed what had just spilled out of her mouth and her eyes widened in horror. She clapped her hand over her mouth, praying for unconsciousness.


“Yes,” Augusta Longbottom replied evenly. “My husband gave it to me.”


Joanna felt her slowly returning sense of etiquette slip away once more as she gave in to the urge to reply, “Really?” with fascination. She took a step toward Neville’s grandmother to get a better look at the dead bird. “Neville never said that. How’d he kill it?”


“He used a suffocating charm.”


“Brilliant,” Joanna murmured, walking around the bird.


“You are the most unusual young lady I have ever met.”


Joanna presence of mind came crashing back and she just managed to stop her hand, which was in mid-air, millimeters from touching feathers. She took a step back and felt the chair opposite Augusta hit the back of her knees. Joanna sat.


Never one to dilly dally, Augusta came straight to the point. “I understand from your mother you are seeing my grandson.”


Joanna’s mind raced. She couldn’t recall her mother ever mentioning a connection with Neville’s family. She was sure she would have remembered that. “I’m “ I’m sorry, I wasn’t aware you knew my mother.”


“I don’t,” Augusta replied succinctly. “I received a note from her introducing herself. She obviously has an excellent understanding of…propriety,” she finished, looking down her nose at Joanna’s slumped posture.


Joanna quickly straightened up, pulling her skirt down over her knees and her robes together. She folded her hands in her lap and sat at the ready. Augusta did not nod in approval, but Joanna thought the sneer might have lessened “ a bit.


“How long have you been seeing my grandson?”


“Uh, well, since the holidays,” Joanna replied. “Neville didn’t tell you?”


“He mentioned it. I didn’t believe him. So several months, now.”


“Yes,” Joanna answered a little put out by her lack of faith in Neville.


“Has he told you about his parents?”


Joanna looked down at her folded hands and nodded.


“Are you going to meet them?”


“Well, yes, I suppose. Neville has said he would like me to.”


“And do you?”


“Do I what?”


“Do you want to meet my son and his wife?”


Joanna felt annoyance begin to creep up her spine, straightening her back until it was rigid. “Yes, of course, I do,” Joanna answered curtly. “They are Neville’s parents.”


“Your father is the new Minister of Magic,” Augusta said, pursing her lips.


“Yes,” Joanna answered, pursing her own.


“Politics is a nasty business.”


“I suppose,” Joanna replied.


“Politicians tend to have little backbone once in office, only bowing down to the highest bidder or the most vocal.”


Somewhere in the back of Joanna’s mind was the inkling that this woman was baiting her, but anger had begin to cloud her judgment and she was quickly loosing control of whatever semblance of decorum she had left.


“Obviously, you do not know my father,” Joanna ground out.


“No, I don’t, but that will be remedied. I will not have the Longbottom name sullied by the likes of a spineless politician.”


“For Merlin’s sake, my father has never and will never be considered spineless! And who knows how long he’ll have the job! Besides, Neville and I aren’t getting married this summer! We’re only bonding!”


For the second time that day, Joanna clapped her hand over her mouth to stifle her vocal runoff. She and Neville had talked about telling her parents and his grandmother before school was out because she would need to train this summer. They had started planning a carefully thought out explanation, stressing the benefits about why they were doing this. And now, she had put it out there in a blurted exclamation during the heat of an argument!


“Bonding? As in a blood bond?”


Joanna nodded, keeping her hand in place.


“You are a Mediator?”


“You know about blood bonds?” Joanna asked, disbelievingly as she dropped her hand.


“I read the paper, too.”


“Oh, right, Harry and Ginny’s,” Joanna deduced.


“You are sure?”


“Sure?” Joanna asked confused.


“Sure you are my grandson’s bond? Sure Neville has a bond?”


Joanna nodded again as Augusta gave her a searing once over.


“Neville is a Longbottom. That might not mean much in your circles, but it is a name to be respected.”


Joanna bristled once more at the implications that her family wasn’t good enough but kept her mouth closed.


“Neville is not the most talented of wizards ““


“Now, wait a minute, he’s a brilliant Herb-“


“He is my grandson and I truly believe you have to be honest about your children and their children,” August finished, raising her voice over Joanna’s outburst. “Do you love him?”


“Of course I love Neville,” Joanna shouted, shooting up from her chair, her hands fisted at her side. “He’s kind and loyal and generous. He tutors first and second years in Herbology. He helps out Professor Sprout with keeping the greenhouses picked up. He’s got a heart the size of the castle and would do anything for any of his friends. Why some other girl hasn’t snatched him up before now, I have no idea. I’m just lucky he loves me, too, because there’s nothing I want to do more than spend the rest of my life making sure he’s happy!”


Augusta Longbottom sat back in her chair, her expression unreadable as she watched Joanna’s eyes flash fire and her cheeks redden. Joanna looked straight ahead into the vulture’s eyes and thought briefly that this woman must be stuffed, too, if she couldn’t see how special Neville was. Suddenly, the vulture began to move up and Joanna stepped back to avoid being hit by the hat’s brim. She stood there as Augusta stepped around her chair and moved toward the door.


“That’s it?” Joanna said disbelievingly. “You’re leaving?”


“Yes,” Augusta replied, pulling the door open.


“What “ what “ what did you want?”


Augusta paused and turned, leveling Joanna with her gaze. “I wanted to see who you were. I have. Now I’m leaving.”


“But “ but “I don’t understand,” Joanna sputtered.


“You’ll do.”


“I’ll do? I’ll do what? What does ‘I’ll do’ mean?” Joanna cried.


“It means you remind me of myself at your age,” Augusta said, her words short and clipped. “You’ll do. I’ll expect to see you over the holidays. Good day.”


Her mouth slightly open, her brain fuzzy, Joanna watched stunned as the door closed behind Neville’s grandmother, She fell into the chair behind her, continuing to stare at the back of the door. She sat there several minutes, the fog in her brain swirling as she tried to figure out how in the world she had managed to pass muster with Augusta Longbottom.


“I remind her of herself,” she mused dazedly to the empty office. Then she snorted. “If Neville ever brings home a dead bird, it will be dinner. Only! There is no way I will ever wear it.”


Pushing herself out of her chair, Joanna stood up, her knees a little wobbly, before opening the door to the office and heading back to Charms.



++++


A/N “ To my betas, wvchemteach and Anya, and my mod bogus7 “ I’m running out of ways to tell you guys how much I appreciate you! Thanks!!!


The next couple of chapters are a bit transitional as we ramp up for the end of the year and what that holds. I look forward to hearing what you think of them.


Next chapter…Exactly what do you put the Dark Lord’s spirit in?
Lady of the Lake by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ All my thanks to JKR for giving us such wonderful characters to borrow.




Recap “ When we last left off, our heroes were busily working on a plan to stop Voldemort. They had determined that Ginny needed to break her bond with Harry’s blood in Tom through an Obliteration Charm such as Catarina used. Of course, the worry is that a bond can only be broken through death. Hermione determined though that Ginny is protected by Lily’s love and Harry’s love should save her. The question is how?

Now, once the bond is broken, Voldemort has basically two parts, his physical form and his spirit. The spirit can be trapped through an Entrapment Charm. The question there is exactly what do you trap the Dark Lord’s spirit in?



And now, we rejoin the fun…





Lady of the Lake





“This is indeed an impressive piece of work,” Dumbledore surmised, reviewing the parchment in front of him.


“Thank you, sir,” Harry said, squeezing Ginny’s hand which was enveloped in his.


“And you’re consulting Bill Weasley?”


“Yes, I asked him to come take a look at it,” Anna said, stepping toward the Headmaster’s desk. “He has given it his approval and is continuing to work with us on certain aspects of training.”


“He is a fine choice,” Dumbledore nodded, sitting back in his chair and threading his fingers together. “It is risky.”


“We realize that,” Nathan agreed, “however, Albus, anything we try will be risky.”


“True,” the Headmaster sighed. “The Order needs to know ““


“No.”


Startled silence fell as all eyes turned toward Ginny.


“Ginny?” Nathan said.


“No, the Order does not need to know about this,” Ginny repeated with finality.
.

“Now, Ginny, I understand that you might not agree ““


“Pardon me, Professor Dumbledore, but I don’t really think the Order has any right to make this decision for us. We are both considered of age. We know the risks. We are going to do this with or without the Order’s approval.”


“But they have the right to know,” Dumbledore said.


“Why? Why do they? Why is it that you think they need to have a say in every decision regarding our lives?”


”They don’t ““


“And we don’t need their approval to go ahead with this,” Ginny argued heatedly, her steady gaze challenging the Headmaster to say otherwise.


“The Order should know,” Anna said quietly.


“Why?” Ginny cried. “Why do they have to know?”


“Because this will impact them, too. For starters, we most likely will need back up, Ginny,” Anna replied.


“Isn’t that what the DA is for?” Harry asked.


“Yes,” Nathan said, “but if we are going to engage Lord Voldemort in such a manner, we can pretty much be assured that every loyal Death Eater will also be involved in some way. The Order needs to know. Ginny, you are correct in that we don’t need their approval; however, we may need their help.”


Ginny pursed her lips and exhaled through her nose. With reluctance, she nodded.


“What are you going to do, Albus?” Nathan asked and all eyes turned to the Headmaster.


“I will inform the Order and,” he said, holding up his hand at Ginny’s open mouth, “I will tell them you are determined to do this. I cannot guarantee there won’t be some repercussions from that, though.”


“I would say that’s to be expected,” Nathan said. “Are you alright, Ginny?” he asked, noticing Ginny’s grimace.


“Yeah,” Ginny replied slowly, “I’m just not looking forward to one of those repercussions.”


“Wha-oh, your mother,” Nathan nodded. “I don’t suppose you can avoid every fireplace in the castle forever, can you?”


“She means well,” Anna said, her hand unconsciously coming to rest on her rounded middle.


“I know,” Ginny sighed. “I just wish she didn’t mean things so loudly.”


Despite himself, Harry chuckled. “I’ll be there, too, Gin. We’ll do it together.”


Ginny smiled up at Harry. “Yes, we will,” she replied, slipping her hand into his. “That means we get to share any Howlers she sends our way,” her eyes twinkling with mirth.


“I’m looking forward to it,” Harry grinned.



“On that note, we will bid you good night, Albus,” Nathan said, putting his hand on Anna’s elbow and steering her toward the exit of Dumbledore’s office.


Once on the other side of the gargoyle guarding the entrance to the Headmaster’s office, Ginny paused.


“Professor Borgin, what will happen if the Order tries to stop us?”


“We’ll find a way to do it anyway,” Harry said simply.


Nathan nodded. “We’ll find a way to do it anyway,” he repeated solemnly.


+++++



Anna pushed herself away from her desk and stood up, catching herself on her chair back as she stumbled.


“Klutzes should come with warning labels when they’re pregnant.”


Anna growled and righted herself, shooting a disgruntled look at Bill who was standing in the doorway of her office. “Bill, remember this for when Fleur is pregnant “ we are beautiful. Full stop. Nothing more. Got it?” Anna smiled in satisfaction as Bill’s cheeks reddened. “What have you got there?”


“Uh, something I’m working on for an outside project,” Bill answered, shifting a velvet pull string bag from one hand to the other.


Anna knew Bill picked up a stone from each tomb he ever worked and kept them all in this bag. They were not valuable in the sense of Galleons or sickles. Just nice reminders of where he had been in life. He would empty the bag on his desk and sort them into piles, rows, and patters, moving them around as he pondered intricate problems and puzzles. The fact he carried the bag now let Anna know he was out to do some serious thinking.


“I’m going to the conference room down the hall. Feel free to stop by later…if you’re able to get up again,” Bill teased, leaving her doorway.


In a gesture she was sure would make her mother shudder, Anna stuck her tongue out at the empty doorway before picking up her wand and mumbling a few choice words under her breath. She grinned widely as she heard a loud thudding crash followed by some different choice words that were certainly not deemed appropriate office language. Grabbing her mug, Anna stepped out of her office and over the sprawled form of Bill.


“I’ll stop by later, Bill,” she said sweetly as she headed to the kitchen, “that is if you’re able to get up again.”



Several hours later, on her way back from one of her many daily trips to the loo, Anna noticed the door to the Oswald Beamish Room was slightly open. Taking a step closer, she peeked in and saw Bill camped out behind what looked like a game of draughts with several rows of colorful stones but no playing board. Curious, she knocked lightly and stuck her head in.


“Hey, Anna,” Bill said, sitting back in his chair and rubbing his eyes with his hands.


Anna stepped into the room and stopped, a low impressed whistle emitting from between her lips. To say the walls of the room were covered would not adequately describe the four walls surrounding her. They were plastered with charts and pictures and diagrams, layered on top of one another, leaving not one millimeter of stone exposed.


“Where do I start?” Anna asked, feeling a little overwhelmed with the sheer amount of information bombarding her.


“There,” Bill pointed to the chart on the wall to her left.


Anna stepped closer and began to read. She sidled sideways, her mouth moving as she scanned the information, but no sound coming out. Leaning back in his chair, Bill wove his fingers together behind his head in an effort to keep from tapping them on the table and watched Anna’s back. He exhaled. He was waiting to see if he was right, and it was taking every ounce of discipline he had to sit still. Halfway around, Anna stopped. Bill held his breath. With her back to him, Anna nodded.


“You see it, too,” Bill said, quietly triumphant.


Anna turned to face him, her eyes bright with the kind of excitement a tomb raider gets when she is onto something very old and very big. “Yeah.”


“Any idea where it is?” Bill asked hopefully.


“I don’t even know if it still exists,” Anna admitted, pulling out a chair across from Bill and sitting down slowly.


Bill snorted. “Figures “ we finally have an answer and the thing we need doesn’t exist.”


“Now, I didn’t say it didn’t exist,” Anna replied, “I just said I didn’t know if it still existed. There’s a difference.”


“Well, here’s hoping that the difference counts,” Bill said, gathering up the stones.


+++++


Joanna wedged a rather sizeable box against her lifted knee and the wall in an attempt to free up a hand so she could open the door to the Room of Requirement. An owl she had not recognized had dropped the package on her bowl of porridge at breakfast, sending the bowl flying to the floor, as gobs of gray matter were flung up and down her robes. Grimacing, Joanna had lifted the parcel from the middle of the mess and attempted to wipe most of the still steaming cereal off the sides. As she swiped the top, she read the return postal address and giggled.


“Your aim was perfect,” Joanna complimented the owl who was pecking at a glob of porridge by his feet.


Tucking the box under her arm, Joanna had hurried out of the Great Hall and back to Gryffindor Tower to change her robes. Slinging her book bag over her shoulder, she had picked up the box and headed to the Room of Requirement.


“Here, allow me,” a airy voice came from behind her.


Looking over her shoulder, Joanna saw Luna approaching, her hand out to open the door.


“Thanks, Luna,” Joanna said gratefully.


“You’re welcome,” Luna replied as Joanna passed by her and entered the room.


Ginny, Neville, and Hermione were seated around one of the tables, all wearing very discouraged expressions.


“Hi, Joanna. Hey, Luna,” Ginny greeted them glumly.


“Is something wrong?” Joanna asked, dropping the box on the table and sitting down in the seat next to Neville.


“We’re having trouble with the spell,” Hermione said distractedly.


“What kind of trouble?” Joanna asked.


Ginny sighed and propped her chin on her hands. “Harry and I are having problems sending magic through the bond,” she explained before clarifying, “well, Harry is having problems.”


“Oh,” Joanna nodded in understanding. “I’ve been reading about that. It’s really hard to do.”


“Yeah, it is,” Ginny agreed, “especially because Harry’s afraid he’ll overpower me.”


“Harry doesn’t need to worry,” Luna interjected.


“Easier said than done,” Ginny said, rubbing the bridge of her nose.


“It is really rather simple,” Luna shrugged.


“How so, Luna?” Neville asked.


“Everyone knows you can’t overpower the heart - at least not from love.”


All eyes turned to blink at Luna as silence fell around the table. Luna, oblivious to the stares, opened her book bag. Looking up, she smiled benignly. “All Harry has to do is concentrate on how much he loves Ginny.”


“That’s it?” Neville said skeptically.


“No, that can’t be it,” Hermione shook her head. “You’ve tried that, right, Ginny?”


“Well, no, I don’t think so,” Ginny pondered. “We’ve concentrated on the bond, but not the emotions tying it all together….”


“Where are you off to?” Hermione asked, as Ginny pushed her chair back.


“To find Harry!” Ginny waved over her shoulder as she left the room.


“So, what’s in the box?” Neville asked, glancing curiously at the top. “Hey, that’s from Gran - I only get boxes from Gran when I forget things at home. What did she send you?”


Joanna grinned. “I have no idea. Let’s just hope it’s not a matching hat.”


Hermione chuckled. “Well, if it is, I think you can at least be assured she likes you,” she said, as she stood up with her books. “Neville, you better hang onto this one,” she said as she too headed to the door.


Neville smiled widely and put his arm around Joanna’s shoulder, pulling her close. “That’s the plan!”


”So nice to know I have a say in all of this,” Joanna commented sarcastically.


“Nope, sorry, once Gran likes you, you’re in,” Neville grinned happily.


“So, if it’s a hat with a dead bird on it, you’re alright with that?”


“If it’s on you, I’m very alright with that,” Neville said, leaning forward to place a smiling kiss on Joanna’s lips.


“So simple,” Luna shrugged.


++++


Ginny wove in and out of the seventh year students exiting the Potions Classroom. “Harry!” she called, when she spotted him.


“Hey, Gin,” he smiled, leaning down to give her a quick kiss on the cheek. “What are you doing down here?”


“It’s rather obvious, isn’t it?” a cold, sneering voice commented from the doorway. “Bottom feeders like to be on the lowest level.”


“Shut it, Malfoy,” Harry growled, whirling around, his wand at the ready.


“Five points from Gryffindor,” Snape sneered over Malfoy’s shoulder, “for dueling in the corridors.”


Harry felt Ginny’s touch on his arm and had the intense desire to shrug it off as he felt the warm, calmness mix with his anger. He drew a deep breath and realized the warmth allowed him to focus. He liked that. Harry moved his wand hand to cover Ginny’s, leaving it in place.


“Quit blocking my doorway and get back to your common rooms,” Snape snapped turning his back on them.


Harry let Ginny tug him into the middle of the corridor, away from Malfoy.


“Don’t worry, Potter,” Malfoy leered as he brushed by, deliberately shoving his shoulder into Harry. “Your precious little Mudblood lover is untouchable “ for now.”


Ginny’s eyes followed Malfoy as he walked away. He appeared a little off balance, his right arm held tightly around his middle, his book bag in his left hand.


“Is he limping?” she asked, watching his gate.


“Maybe,” Harry shrugged. “He was in the Hospital Wing for a few days. I don’t know what from. If it caused him pain, I don’t really care. Did you need something or did you just miss me?”


“Hmm,” Ginny murmured distractedly, turning away from Malfoy and looking up at Harry. “I’m sorry, what did you say?”


“You know, if I was not such an understanding bloke, I might be slightly put out by the fact that when I’m attempting to be charming, your attention is no where to be seen.”


Ginny grinned and tucked her hand under Harry’s arm. “Yes, I needed something and yes, I missed you,” she said, standing up on her tip toes to give him a peck on his cheek. “And if that’s your most charming, I’m not sure I’d go pointing it out.”


Harry chuckled and started down the corridor. “So, what did you need?”


“Oh! Luna had a suggestion for the thing we’re working on,” Ginny said, eyeing the other students who were passing them in the hall.


“Luna?” Harry repeated.


“Well, you know, thinking outside the realm of normal and all,” Ginny said, “and it made sense.”


“Luna does that sometimes,” Harry noted, climbing the stairs.


“Yeah,” Ginny agreed, “and it’s always a little scary.”


“Do you want to try whatever it is before dinner?” Harry asked, glancing at his watch.


Ginny nodded. “If it doesn’t work, it shouldn’t take long.”


“Right,” Harry said and together they made their way back to the Room of Requirement.


“Alright,” Harry said, dropping his bag on the floor, “what are we trying?”


Ginny sat cross legged on the floor. “Luna suggested you concentrate on how much you love me.”


Harry raised his eyebrows. “Concentrate on how much I love you?”


“Yep,” Ginny said.


“No pressure, eh?” Harry teased.


Rolling her eyes, Ginny pushed on Harry’s shoulder. Harry dropped to the floor, hissing as his knees hit stone.


“Oh, sorry, forgot the cushioning charm,” Ginny winced empathetically, grabbing her wand.


“No problem,” Harry said, holding up his hand. “Here goes nothing.”


Ginny placed her hand up to Harry’s and smiled encouragingly. “Here goes nothing,” she repeated.


Ginny closed her eyes, not sure what to expect. They had been working on this for weeks and the most she had felt was a warm tingling sensation. Granted, watching the ribbons turn pretty colors had been interesting, but this called for more than an interesting palette. She felt the warmth from Harry’s skin under her fingertips and she smiled. She inhaled, the smell of dust and ink and Harry swirling within her senses. She immersed herself in the bond as Harry began to concentrate.


The sensations became stronger, the colors behind her eyelids deeper. Ginny felt her senses begin to tingle with clarity. She sucked in her breath as she felt power flood her body. Her pulse quickened. She was caught off guard. She honestly had not expected it to work. Ginny felt Harry pull back so she reached forward. With her mind, she concentrated on the anchor within herself; with her heart, she wrapped ribbons around Harry’s magic, cushioning herself against it, holding it within.


Ginny held still, watching their magic blend together before her closed eyes, mesmerized by the flow. She would have stayed there all night if she could. But, deep down, Ginny could feel her hold on Harry’s magic weakening. Gradually, she pushed the power back into the bond, slowly unweaving her ribbons from it and setting it free. The colors flared before settling back into shades of the rainbow. Ginny wasn’t sure, but the rainbow looked a little more vivid than normal. But then again, after what she had just experienced, anything would look more brilliant right now.


Ginny felt her hand drag forward and her nose hit Harry’s shoulder as his arms encircled her tightly.


“It worked!” he exclaimed jubilantly.


Ginny giggled into his robes. “Yes, it did,” she said, pulling back so she could see his face.


Harry smiled widely. “We did it,” he whispered, cupping Ginny’s face in his hands and kissing her with all the joy he felt. Breaking apart, Harry rested his forehead against Ginny’s. “That was amazing.”


“Yes, it was,” Ginny agreed, wrapping her arms around Harry’s neck, “and exhausting.”


“Yeah, that too,” Harry chuckled, pulling her closer. “I’m guessing that will get better with practice?” he said against her lips.


“As do all things,” Ginny replied, losing herself in the kiss.


+++++



Nathan knocked on the door to the Ancient Runes classroom and pushed the door open. As he had expected, Anna and Bill sat in the front row, talking in quiet whispers to Professor Friskin. As he approached, Anna looked up at him.


“You found us,” she smiled warmly.


“I followed the breadcrumbs,” Nathan commented, kissing her cheek lightly.


“Good evening, Nathan,” Olivia Friskin said, holding out her hand. “I’m thinking I may need to recruit your wife to come and do some guest lecturing one of these days.”


“Hey, now,” Bill interrupted, “I’m the one who came up with the idea!”


“Yes, but Bill, who will cover for me at the office when I’m here?” Anna teased.


“What is your idea, Bill?” Nathan asked.


“On that note, I am going to see if I can catch the last of dinner and allow them to explain it to you, Nathan. It was very nice to see you again, Bill. Good evening,” Professor Friskin smiled, gathered her books and headed to the door.


“So?” Nathan asked, turning to face Bill.


“I think I only want to have to explain this once,” Bill said, glancing at the stack of rolled parchment he and Anna had brought with them. “Any chance we could round up everyone else so I only have to do it one time?”


“I’m sure that can be arranged,” Nathan agreed, standing up.


Bill grinned as he saw Nathan put a steadying hand on Anna’s elbow as she stood. Nathan caught the smile and winked. “My wife is beautiful,” Nathan said sincerely.


“Yes, she is,” Bill chuckled.


“And don’t you forget it,” Anna said, stepping out into the aisle. “She’s also hungry. I’m going to go grab a bowl of something and will meet you upstairs.”


As Anna headed toward the Great Hall, Nathan leaned over and whispered to Bill. “She hex you, too?”


“Tripped me up in the middle of the office,” Bill sighed.


“Ah,” Nathan commented, motioning for Bill to go through the door first.


“What did she do to you?” Bill asked curiously.


“I was banished to the sofa,” Nathan answered, “and I’m pretty sure our sofa was used by at least one of Hogwarts’ founders.”


“Your wife is beautiful,” Bill repeated.


“Yes, she is,” Nathan agreed, clapping Bill on the shoulder. “Come on, let’s go.”


++++



Bill held up his chart to the blackboard and performed a sticking charm to keep it in place. Turning around, he was met with the sight of chairs filled with attentive faces and stopped, his mind going blank.


“Rather daunting the first time, isn’t it,” Nathan said dryly.


Bill chuckled. “Yeah, a little. Alright,” he said, rubbing his hands together. “Let me start from the beginning. As you all know, Entrapment Charms are not taught here at Hogwarts for several reasons that are not to be dismissed lightly - namely that should the charm go awry, anyone involved is practically ensured a very unpleasant death.”


Joanna let out a nervous giggle. “I’m sorry,” she said, attempting to control herself, and waving her hand in front of her. “I’ll get it together. Keep going.”


“Uh-huh,” Bill said, returning his attention to the rest of the group. “The purpose of an Entrapment Charm is to encapsulate a soul in an inanimate object. At one point in time the Ministry was seriously considering placing these charms on the list of Unforgiveables for fear of some idiot trying to use them on a live person. I’m not saying they were right or wrong for leaving them off the list, I just want you all to understand what you are about to attempt isn’t anything to be taken lightly.”


This time the snort came from Hermione. “Bill, do you really think we’re taking any of this lightly?”


“Just get on with it, Bill,” Ron urged impatiently. “In the end, if we don’t fully understand how dangerous or hard this is, maybe that just means we’ll be able to do it without worrying about it so much.”


Anna giggled.


Bill’s shoulders slumped. “This is no joking matter!”


“I know, Bill,” Anna placated him, “but Ron’s got a point.”


“Oh, fine,” Bill said. “Because souls are complex entities, Entrapment Charms require multiple wizards performing multiple charms simultaneously. Now, from the spell work you’ve already done, I gather the only witch and wizard who will be performing the spell will be Harry and Ginny. That leaves us about twelve spells short.”


“This isn’t getting better,” Joanna commented.


“I’ve always believed the best should come first,” Luna added.


“Kind of like eating dessert before the entree,” Anna nodded, patting her stomach wistfully.


Bill sighed loudly. “I’m not paid enough for this.”


“You’re getting paid?” Nathan teased.


“Enough already!” Bill shouted.


“Sorry,” Anna grinned.


Bill rolled his eyes at her. “So, I started thinking about what kind of things can possess protection as well power. One of those things is blood, much like the blood protection given in birth.”


“Sanguis?” Hermione asked.


“Exactly,” Bill nodded, smiling his thanks at Hermione for paying attention. “Now, your mother’s blood protection is something you two,” he nodded at Harry and Ginny, “have in spades. So I dug a little deeper into that and discovered that kind of protection and power at one point in history was believed to be able to be transferred into an inanimate object representing your birth month.”


“Like a birthstone?” Neville asked.


“Like your birthstones,” Bill confirmed.


Nathan whistled.


“He just got it, too,” Anna said, patting her husband’s knee proudly.


Nathan looked between Bill and Anna. “You aren’t thinking about “ wow. That’s rather impressive.”


“You know the spell?” Bill asked.


“Know what spell? What’s so impressive?” Ron asked impatiently.


“Yeah, I know of the spell. It would take a little tweaking. And there’s the whole business of actually obtaining the circlet.”


“The what?” Ginny asked.


“Nimue’s Circlet?” Hermione said, her eyes widening as she looked at the chart behind Bill. “Oh “ oh, my.”


“She just got it, too,” Anna grinned.


“Alright, does someone mind telling us what she got?” Ginny asked.


“Sorry, Ginny,” Bill said, taking a seat at the table across from her. “Are you familiar with Nimue?”


“No,” Ginny answered.


“The Lady of the Lake?” Neville asked. “Gran has a book about her. She said she was quite the powerful witch.”


“She was,” Anna answered. “Bill?”


“Go ahead,” Bill offered.


“The Lady of the Lake has been recorded in history by several names “ Nimue, Viviane, Eviene “ to name a few. She met Merlin at the Fountain of Baranton in the Forest of Broceliande in what was then known as Brittany. Merlin became enamored and began to teach Nimue. To make a long story short, Nimue’s greatest desire was to have Merlin for her very own. She wanted to control him. In order to do this, she convinced Merlin to teach her how to entrap a man with magic as his only boundaries, thus putting the poor fellow at the witch’s disposal, unable to do anything except her bidding. Now, Merlin knew what Nimue was up to, but, unfortunately, he was a man.”


“Hey, now!” Bill exclaimed indignantly.


Anna shot him a look daring him to contradict her. Bill caught Nathan’s eye. Nathan shook his head. Bill smiled at Anna. “Go on.”


“One day, Nimue and Merlin went on a walk into the forest. After some time, they came upon a Hawthorne bush and rested. Merlin fell asleep. While he was sleeping, Nimue removed her circlet and wimple and made a ring around Merlin’s body with them. She then performed an Entrapment Charm Merlin himself created “ one strong enough, even he could not break out from inside of it. He died there, his spirit forever encased in that ring she created. Rumor has it, his tomb is there. Now, the wimple would have long ago disintegrated, however, the circlet, being such a strong magical object should still be there.”


“Exactly why are we interested in this circlet?” Ron asked confused. “She didn’t entrap his soul in it.”


“No, she didn’t want to entrap his soul. She wanted Merlin alive,” Bill said. “But the magic that makes this circlet work is birthstone based. With a few changes in the spell, I think we can make it work how we want it to. Right Nathan?”


Nathan sat forward in his chair, his chin in his hands, mesmerized by the chart in front of him. “I believe we can. The spell used derives its power from fourteen stones placed in the circlet. Nimue determined that a person can be entrapped by love of the people who hold demands upon him or her. In Merlin’s case, she managed to procure birthstones of the people who cared for Merlin, including the Knights of the Roundtable and King Arthur. In our case, we’ll tweak the spell so the circlet’s stones entrap the soul with the love of people who care for Harry and Ginny, using the birthstones of your friends and family,” he said looking at Harry and Ginny. “We need one for each month and then one for Harry and one for Ginny,” Nathan answered. “Together, the fourteen balance each other out.”


“Let me get this straight,” Ron said skeptically, “we need to go find the crown of the witch who imprisoned Merlin in order to trap Voldemort?”


“Yeah,” Bill nodded. “That about sums it up.”


“And this crown isn’t sitting in a vault in Gringotts already?”


“No, not that we know of,” Anna said.


“So, what makes you thing some fuzzy woodland creature hasn’t scooped it up and used it for a doorway to its burrow - or for that matter, some other grave robber?”


“Well, for starters, the supposed location of the tomb is within mostly privately owned forest land. Secondly, it is believed that while Merlin’s soul isn’t in the circlet itself, the circlet is tied to the wards protecting his tomb. On top of that, the ground has not been excavated by wizards, well, ever.”


“Why not?” Ginny asked.


“By the time it was determined by the magical community that this spot was Merlin’s final resting place,” Anna explained almost apologetically, “the Muggles had swapped a belief in magic for a belief in protecting historical landmarks. In other words, Merlin became a myth and the forest non-existent on Muggle maps.”


“In the wrong hands, the circlet could be used for dark purposes and the Ministry decided through the ages that if they didn’t pursue it, it would be forgotten,” Bill continued. “And for once, the Ministry was right. The circlet has been hidden in a tomb under a bush for hundreds of years.”


“There is also the small detail that the only person who could touch the circlet once it was enchanted was Nimue herself,” Nathan mentioned dryly.


“Oh, yeah, well, there is that, too,” Bill said.


“So, exactly how are we supposed to get it?” Harry asked.


“If I remember correctly,” Nathan said, standing up and starting to pace, “there are fourteen places in the circlet for stones. The power comes from all the stones being in place and they don’t activate until the stone representing the witch performing the spell is put in place. In our case, we would have the twelve stones representing a friend or family member for each month of the year, and then one stone for Harry and one for Ginny.


“For us to remove the circlet from the place of entrapment, we have to remove a stone, preferably the stone representing Nimue.”


All eyes followed Nathan as he paced the length of the room, one hand in his pocket, one tapping his chin. He stopped as he realized silence had fallen.


“What? Oh, sorry, you’re all expecting an answer to that, aren’t you?” Nathan sat down at the table. “This may be somewhat of a stretch of an assumption, but as you pointed out, Anna, Merlin was human. He knew exactly what Nimue was doing when she was fishing for information. That being said, I’m guessing the charms he taught her were not full strength. That would mean they would weaken over time. I bet I can do a little research and come up with a few un-sticking charms based in blood magic we could try.”


“Un-sticking charms?” Ginny asked.


“Well, it’s a little more sophisticated than that, but that is the basic idea,” Nathan admitted.


“Why do we have to use this particular circlet?” Harry asked.


Bill rested his elbows on the table. “Nimue’s circlet is the only object known that was able to encapsulate such a great power. Other such objects have failed or were used on lesser souls with various rates of success. If we only have one shot at this, we need to use the best.”


“Is there any reason we can’t create our own?” Joanna asked Bill.


“It’s against Wizarding Law to create something that can entrap a soul. The Ministry couldn’t make the charms Unforgiveables because they were tailored to the specific soul “ much like what we’re doing. Unable to pinpoint an exact spell to deem illegal, the Ministry deemed the manufacturing of entrapment objects illegal instead. So, we can’t create one, but that doesn’t mean we can’t use one that is already created.”



“Excuse me,” Joanna said, holding up her hand and scooting forward in her chair. “If I understand this all correctly, we are talking about a headpiece that is located in the middle of a forest in France. How do you plan to get it?”



“You know,” Anna said, sitting back in her chair and folding her hands over her stomach. “I have suddenly developed an intense craving for crepes. How about you Ginny?”


“Me?” Ginny said surprised, sitting up straight. “I love crepes. Harry?”


“Crème puffs?” Harry asked hopefully.


Anna grinned. “I love you, Harry.”


“Sorry, Anna, he’s taken,” Nathan commented.


“Oh, I don’t want to marry him,” Anna said, winking at Harry. “I just want to feed him.”


+++++



“Is this really wise, Nathan?” Anna asked as they stopped in front of the gargoyle guarding the stairs to Dumbledore’s office. “He wasn’t exactly thrilled with the whole spell in the first place.”


“What makes you say that?” Nathan asked. “He didn’t shoot it down. He even said it was impressive.”


“Right before he said he would tell the Order.”


“Which you yourself said was a good idea,” Nathan reminded her. “Anna, I need to tell him. We’re about to take at least two if not more students out of school grounds for the holidays, most likely without parental permission. And if that’s not enough, both of them are targets. We’re insane.”


Anna sighed. “You’ve got a point,” she resigned. “But we’ll have Bill with us, too, so we’ve got that going for us.”


“Treacle Tart,” Nathan said to gargoyle. Stepping on the bottom step as it began to move, Nathan turned back to offer a hand to Anna. “Quite frankly, from what I know about Albus Dumbledore, he might already have a plan worked up for when and how to tell the Order.”


“What do you mean?”


“I mean, who exactly constitutes the Order? How many people in the Order do you have to tell before you’ve told the Order? And when do you need to tell the Order?”


“He’s not that devious, is he?”


“Who’s not that devious?” Dumbledore asked from behind his desk.


Anna giggled as she blushed. “You, sir.”


“Ah, well, if you are discussing nicking seconds of pudding from the kitchen, I’m one of the best,” the Headmaster claimed.


“I’ll keep that in mind, sir,” Anna smiled.


“What may I do for you this evening?” Dumbledore asked, motioning to the seats in front of his desk.


“Bill Weasley came by this evening,” Nathan said, placing a piece of parchment on the Headmaster’s desk.


Dumbledore pulled the parchment toward him and started reading. Reaching the bottom, he raised his eyebrows at Anna and Nathan. Sitting back in his chair, he wove his fingers over his beard and studied them.


“It makes sense, sir,” Anna said quietly.


“Yes, it does,” Dumbledore nodded. “I’m just trying to determine the best way to aid you in your journey.”


“Really?” Anna smiled.


“Who all are you planning on taking with you?”


Nathan swallowed and took a deep breath. “Bill has volunteered to go along with Anna and myself. I was also hoping Harry and Ginny could accompany us.”


“Ah, yes, I have heard of Harry’s new career choice,” Dumbledore smiled.


“Sir, I know we are taking a risk, but this would be a wonderful opportunity for both of them to see what is involved in excavating a tomb,” Anna pleaded.


“This is true. I might also suggest an addition of one other,” Dumbledore said. “I would recommend taking Remus Lupin with you. His background in defense is excellent, not to mention his experience in adventuring in his younger days is well known. He also has a close connection with Harry and Ginny. You may also want to consider Nymphadora Tonks, as well. With them along, we can all say the Order knew,” he finished, winking at Anna.


Anna giggled. “Thank you, sir.”


“You’re welcome,” Dumbledore nodded before reaching to the side of his desk for a bowl sitting there. With a smile, he offered, “Pudding?”


+++++


The six students sitting in front of the fireplace in the Gryffindor common room did not notice the stir they were causing on the walls. Word had traveled quickly, portrait to portrait, from the Headmaster’s office to here. Now, the landscape which magically reflected the seasons outside, was filled with several curious milkmaids, a shepherd and the Fat Lady, all jostling for a good spot to watch.


“You know, I am considered a rather good likeness of the Lady of the Lake,” the Fat Lady hissed, pushing one of the shephard’s sheep out of the way with her foot. “I deserve to be in the front!”


“Aren’t you supposed to be guarding the portrait hole?” hissed a milkmaid.


“No one is coming in at this time of night,” the Fat Lady replied haughtily, “so make some room!”


Down below, Ron, who was sitting in one of the high backed chairs, staring into the flames, his elbows on his knees, his chin in his hands, sighed. Hermione, who was resting against his legs, rolled her eyes.


“Ron, they’ll only be gone a few days. You can use the time to study,” she scolded.


“But still, Hermione, a real tomb! Aren’t you even curious?” Ron asked.


“Of course, I am,” Hermione answered. “But NEWTs are right around the corner!”


“Well, I’m not curious one bit,” Joanna said from the sofa as she rested her head on Neville’s shoulder. “I will gladly leave finding the cold, damp, cobwebby remains of dead people up to someone else.”


“Hear, hear,” Neville agreed.


Ginny giggled.


“Don’t start,” Ron huffed.


“By the way, Joanna,” Hermione asked, “what did Neville’s grandmother send you?”


Neville groaned as Joanna giggled. “A framed copy of the Longbottom family tree and a copy of Proper Deportment for Young Witches.”


“Really?” Ginny asked. “A family tree? You can hang it above your bed. Joanna Longbottom. That’s quite catchy.”


“Aren’t we talking about you two going on a holiday?” Neville asked, his face as red as the fire.


“No, I think we’re discussing your future, Mr. Longbottom,” Ginny teased.


“Give up now, Neville,” Harry warned.


“Give up what?” Ginny asked, sitting up.


Ron started shaking his head violently, but Harry did not notice. “Just accept that they know what’s best. Much easier that way.”


Ron stopped shaking his head and began nodding. “He’s right, you know,” he agreed.


“Going out with Hermione has really helped you, Ron,” Ginny observed, “I believe you’re getting smarter.”


Hermione patted Ron on the knee. “I know. I’m very proud.”


“Well, he’s probably smarter, but as far as Neville goes,” Harry pointed out, “even his grandmother thinks Joanna is a fine catch.”


“Excuse me! I’m not a fish!” Joanna said, swatting Harry with a pillow.


“I never said you were!” Harry cried, closing his eyes and covering his head with his hands.


“And I’m still in the room!” Neville proclaimed.


“Harry,” Ginny said, placing a hand on his chest, “stop. You’re trying to be charming again and you’re failing miserably.”


Harry chuckled and dropped his hands in defeat.


“When do you leave?” Neville asked, hugging Joanna closer.


“Easter holidays,” Ginny answered, grinning at Harry. Harry grinned back. Then, without warning, Ginny squealed. “We’re going to France!”


Ron groaned and stood up. “I’m going to bed!” he proclaimed.


“And we’re still going to France!” Harry called after him, laughing.


++++



A/N “ Thank you all for your patience! My beta Anya’s computer, to borrow a phrase from my other beta wvchemteach, has gone to the great Best Buy in the sky. Her mother is being a wonderful sport though and letting her read this on her computer in her own home. My many thanks to both Anya for spending her free time crossing town to see her mom and read my story. My many thanks also to her mom for letting her do this. Moms rule!

To wvchemteach who came up with the circlet “ you are an endless well of wonderful ideas and suggestions.

To Bogus7 for giving this her "O.K.", thumbs up!


This is the last of the transitional chapters “ phew!

Now, for any of you who are Merlin experts - I am not. I spent many hours consulting websites for fun tidbits and ideas. My Merlin tale is meant to be respectful of the original, and at the same time, a weaving of bits and pices into my world. For anyone who is interested in further reading, links follow.


For any of you who want to know when the entire Order finds out, patience, grasshopper...



Lastly, I have had the wonderful opportunity of becoming a part of a role play experience called Phoenix Rising: A Harry Potter RPG. We have 32 characters written by close to thirty talented authors. I won't tell you who I'm writing, but you might be able to guess. :) And if you check out Harry's bio, you will notice some familiar looking professors at Hogwarts...


We’re rated PG-13 and might lean to R for some violence. Come check us out at http://www.livejournal/community/pr_rpg/. If you like it, please visit our fan community, and comment, at http://www.livejournal/comminity/pr_aerie.


Thanks!



For the story of the Lady of the Lake and Merlin’s imprisonment - http://camelot.celtic-twilight.com/infopedia/b/broceliande.htm

Background - http://www.britannia.com/history/biographies/nimue.html

Background - http://www.pantheon.org/articles/n/nimue.html

Background - http://www.thaliatook.com/vivian.html

For location information - http://www.francerama.com/en/escapades/broceliande/

For Location Information - http://www.smh.com.au/news/France/The-enchanted-wood/2005/03/25/1111692620456.html?oneclick=true
Circlet by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ Thanks to JKR for allowing us to borrow her characters and weave our own tales with them.



Circlet





Harry rapped on the door to Nathan’s office and waited for a reply. When none came, he knocked again. Hearing nothing, Harry took a hold of the knob and gave it a little push. It opened easily revealing an empty office. Puzzled, Harry looked down at his watch. Professor Borgin was running late.


Harry stood in front of the now open door trying to determine where he should wait. He glanced over his shoulder at the hard wood benches of the classroom then wistfully at the comfortable, worn leather chairs in Nathan’s office. Beyond the chairs, Harry’s gaze touched on Nathan’s desk.


Covering the scarred wood was a road map similar to the ones Uncle Vernon kept tucked in the glove box of his car. Harry’s curiosity prodded him forward. Setting his book bag on the floor, Harry walked around Nathan’s desk to be able to view the map right side up.


“Oh, good, Harry, you’re here,” Nathan said from the doorway, a pitcher of pumpkin juice in one hand and a plate of biscuits in the other.


Embarrassed for being caught behind his professor’s desk, Harry took a step back, his knees hitting Nathan’s chair. Harry lost his balanced and fell into the chair. Oblivious to any impropriety on Harry’s part, Nathan set the plate and pitcher down and came to stand beside his desk chair.


“Did you find where we’re headed?” he asked excitedly.


“Uh, no,” Harry replied, “not yet.”


Nathan pulled a folded piece of parchment from his robe pocket. “Anna handed this to me. She and Ginny will be along shortly.” He unfolded the letter. “Tonks dropped it off at Gringotts this morning. Thought it best to hand deliver it just in case.”


“Now,” Nathan continued, bending over the map, “Brocelinde is located approximately sixty-five kilometers southwest of Rennes.”



“Which is,” Anna said, entering the office and coming to stand in front of the desk, pointing a finger at the map, “right here. Hello, Harry!” she smiled, setting down two sizeable boxes on the desk.


Harry grinned up at Anna and then Ginny, who was standing in the doorway.


“Uh, actually, Anna, that is Le Mans you are pointing out,” Nathan commented. “Go west.”


“Really?” Anna squinted at the map. With a sigh, she pulled her glasses out of her robe pocket and slipped them on her nose. “Oh, yes. Sorry about that.”


Nathan chuckled.


“What?” Anna asked, planting her hands on her hips.


“It’s just I can’t imagine why Gringotts hasn’t required you to wear those permanently.” Nathan watched as Anna’s cheeks flamed. “They have!” he laughed triumphantly.


“Enough out of you,” Anna swatted his arm good naturedly. “Back to the map. What does Tonks have to say?”


“As I was telling Harry,” Nathan said, resting his arm around his wife’s shoulders, “Brocelinde is located in the area surrounding the village of Paimpont in the Ille et Vilaine.”


“I don’t see it labeled,” Ginny said, searching the tiny print.


“It won’t be,” Anna explained, “this is a Muggle road map. Mythical places such as Brocelinde, and the tales of the legends that occurred within its wooded lands, don’t have a home on such concrete depictions.”


“So then, how do we get there?” Ginny asked, sitting down in one of the leather chairs. She caught Harry’s eye and motioned with her head to the chair opposite hers.


“Oh!” Harry exclaimed, pushing himself out of Nathan’s chair and moving around the desk. “Anna, would you like to sit down?” he asked.


“Thank you, Harry, I would love to,” she said gratefully, sitting down and pulling the plate of biscuits toward her.


“Good question, Ginny,” Nathan said, tapping the map with his finger. “Our goal is to attract as little attention as possible with this adventure. Legal Portkeys leave paper trails and the Floo can be traced. And despite your aptitude for Apparating long distances together,” Nathan smiled at Harry and Ginny, “I’m not going to suggest we try it from here to the continent.


“That being said, Tonks has suggested we use a combination of Muggle and magical transportation. Two days from now, you will ride the Hogwarts Express with everyone else to London. That way, it will look as if you are simply returning to the Burrow for the holidays to surprise your parents who don’t know a thing about any of this at the moment. Anna, Remus, Tonks and myself will meet you at Kings Cross station. We’ll spend the night at a nearby Muggle hotel to avoid questions. From London,” Nathan consulted the parchment in his hand, “Tonks has procured us tickets to France. Bill will meet us in Paris “ I understand he and Fleur are there visiting Fleur’s sister.”


Nathan chuckled as he scanned Tonk’s remarks. “My mother would have loved this. Tonks is having us take the Eurostar train from London to Paris and then the…,” Nathan glanced down at the letter, “Atlantic TGV from Paris to Rennes.”


“The French high speed train?” Harry asked. “I’ve heard about that on the Muggle news.”


Nathan nodded. “I believe that is what she means. She writes she wants to find out how something can go that fast and not be flying.” Nathan folded the parchment and stuck it back in his pocket. “Once in Rennes, we should have no problem Apparating to Brocelinde.”


“How long are we staying?” Ginny asked.


“At least a couple of days,” Anna answered. “The exact location of Merlin’s tomb is somewhat unknown and most likely on privately owned forest land. Since we will be trespassing on private property and not obtaining the proper permission to excavate this tomb and thus breaking several dozen magical and Muggle laws, we are going to have to first set up several deterrent wards around the area we will be excavating. We will need to work quickly. The wards will keep the Muggles away, but should a witch or wizard encounter them, we might not be so lucky.”


“So, uh, how do you propose we get to the tomb?” Harry asked, wondering if he was missing something.


Ginny snorted. “I bet you want us to knock on some poor French farmer’s door, hope he speaks English and ask if he’d mind us traipsing across his land.”


Anna shrugged her shoulders. “Well, yes.”


Ginny stopped laughing. “Seriously - that is your plan?”


“We are hoping that if we present you two as students on holiday needing to write a paper on the mythical legends of Merlin, we can simply convince the landowner or owners to let us traipse, as you put it, across his property,” Nathan replied.


“Bill is picking up a couple of Muggle notebooks and some writing instruments for you to tote along so you can look the part,” Anna smiled.


“And what happens if we fail?” Harry asked.


“Then we’ll have to resort to doing a little spell persuasion, but I’m hoping we don’t have to do that,” Anna answered. “On the odd chance we are found out, I really would rather not do the paperwork on why we had to perform an obliviation spell so we could so some illegal trespassing.”


Ginny looked at Harry who shrugged. “It’s worth a try,” he said.


“Alright, then,” Ginny answered, sounding less than convinced.


“Bill and I have collected all the data we can on the layout of the tomb and the most likely location for the circlet,” Anna continued. “I’m hoping things go rather quickly, especially since the ground has been undisturbed for hundreds of years. That being said, pack clothes you don’t mind getting dirty. Now, as far as shoes go,” Anna said, reaching over to the boxes next to the map, “Bill was thinking you two might need these.” Anna glanced at the ends of the boxes and handed the top one to Ginny, the bottom one to Harry. “He calls them tools of the trade.”


Ginny lifted the lid of the box and squealed. “Harry! Go on! Open yours,” she urged, fitting the lid back on her box.


Harry carefully lifted the lid of his box and stopped. “Wow,” he breathed.


Anna laughed and clapped her hands together. “Try them on! If they don’t fit, I’ll pick you up another pair tomorrow.”


Harry set the box down on the floor and pulled out a brand new pair of highly polished, black dragon hide boots. He glanced over at Ginny who has already slipped off her shoes and was eagerly pulling on one of her chocolate brown boots.


“They’re so soft!” Ginny exclaimed, standing up and admiring her feet. “And comfortable!”


“That’s important,” Anna said, motioning for Ginny to walk around for a bit. “When you’re in the field, sleeping in your boots is about as common as walking in them, so you want them as comfy as possible. How are yours, Harry?”


Harry stood up and looked down. His feet had never looked so cool. He grinned at Anna. “Thanks!”


“Don’t thank me,” she smiled, “it was Bill’s idea. Thank him the next time you see him.”


“I will!” Harry exclaimed.


“Alright, do you two have any questions?” Nathan asked, leaning against his desk.


Ginny glanced at Harry and raised her eyebrows in question. Harry shook his head. Ginny turned to Anna and shook her head.


“Well then,” Anna said, pushing herself out of the chair, “I suggest we head to dinner. I’m starving.”


“Didn’t you see the “ oh,” Nathan said as Anna pushed the empty biscuit plate back in his direction. “Did you even share?”


Anna looked guiltily down at her fingertips. “When do we learn to share? I mean really, do you know anyone who shares well?”


Nathan rolled his eyes. “Harry, Ginny,” he whispered out of the side of his mouth, “I’ve been using a concealment charm in our flat I’ll teach you. Just put it on any food you bring. Works like a charm.”


Her eyes still focused downward, Anna cleared her throat and shook her head, her cheeks warming.


Nathan looked at his wife incredulously and sighed before chuckling and holding his hands up in defeat. “Never mind. You’re on your own,” he said, waving Harry and Ginny out of his office toward the Great Hall.


+++++


For the amount of Muggle transportation involved, Nathan had to admit the trip went rather smoothly. The Hogwarts Express had pulled into Kings Cross station on time. Lupin had met Harry and Ginny as they stepped off the train and ushered them off to The Cheswyck Mannor, a small Muggle hotel nearby for the night. Harry was pretty sure he had just closed his eyes when Lupin had knocked on his door to tell him it was time to get up again for the next leg of their journey. Once dressed, if not fully awake, they Apparated to just outside the Eurostar station.


There was a moment of tense panic as they realized they had made it to the front of the Security and Passport line and were now facing a Muggle security agent who was asking for identification which they did not possess.


“Right here! Wotcher Harry! Hello, Ginny,” Tonks greeted them, as she wove her way to the front. She stumbled slightly over the strap of Ginny’s bag resting at Ginny’s feet. Lupin caught her before she went down and smiled at her. Straightening up, Tonks blushingly handed over a stack of burgundy colored booklets stamped with the Queen’s seal. The security agent took the passports behind the glass shield and started flipping through the pages, checking pictures against real faces and adding the appropriate stamps to the appropriate pages.


“What are those?” Ginny whispered, smiling at Tonk’s blush.


“Passports,” Tonks whispered back. “It helps Muggles keep track of who’s going where.”


“How’d you get them?” Harry asked, peering through the plexiglass to see if he could get a better look at his picture.


“Livvy Saunders is a muggle who works in the London Passport Office,” Tonks explained quietly. “Her husband is wizard and a new Order member which worked out rather beautifully, because we didn’t have to go through the Ministry.”


The security agent closed the last passport and slid them back through the opening in the glass. “Bon voyage,” he wished and waved them on through.


Working their way through the crowded station and onto the train, they found seats in the near vicinity of each other and settled in for the two and half hour trip to Paris. Harry was rather surprised when Ginny reached down, opened the bag at her feet and drew out a book. He was doing his best to ignore the voice in his head that sounded remarkably like Hermione telling him to use this time to study for NEWTs, and had been hoping Ginny would do the same.


“Did you know, Harry,” Ginny said, leaning into his shoulder across the armrest, “that the mineral spring that supplies the Fountain of Barenton where Merlin met Nimue bubbles up if you throw a piece of iron or copper into it?”


Harry looked around at the spine of the book she was reading. It was a Muggle travel guide to France. Feeling his guilt evaporate, he grinned and settled back into his chair.


“No, I didn’t,” he replied, stiflingly a yawn. The sway of the train cars was beginning to make him sleepy. “Did you bring any?”


Ginny giggled. “No, and it’s probably better that way. Anna said the less we disturb the better. It also says here,” Ginny said, following the words on the page with her finger, “the Fairies who reside there are kind to children “ well, of course they are! “ and the fountain is supposedly able to produce rain in times of drought. That would be handy, wouldn’t it?” she said. Harry, who was loosing his battle to keep his eyes open, mumbled something unintelligible as his hand found Ginny’s knee and rested there. Ginny looked over and smiled, placing her hand on his arm and giving it a squeeze. Closing her book, Ginny nestled as close as she could to Harry with the armrest as their chaperone.


Bill met them in Paris and together they boarded the TGV. It was an exhausted group that shuffled off the high speed train in Rennes.


“Gabrielle, Fleur’s sister, lent us her map of Apparation points in France,” Bill said, pulling out a folded paper from his pocket. “According to this, we just need to go across the street to the phone booth by the alley. Then, Tonks? Where are we going from there?”


Tonks pointed at two bags behind her. “We’ll Apparate to L'auberge De Jardin. It’s a renovated seventeenth century farmhouse just minutes from the forest. We’ll grab a bite to eat before heading out”


“Are we staying there?” Ginny asked.


“Nope,” Bill said, kicking the bag at his feet. “Our sleeping accommodations are right here.”


“Tents?” Harry asked, remembering the ones Mr. Weasley had borrowed for the World Cup several years ago.


“Tents,” Bill nodded.


“Did the department ask why you needed them?” Anna asked concerned.


“No,” Bill shook his head and grinned. “I told them you would fill out the requisition forms when we returned.”


Anna rolled her eyes. “Thanks.”


“Anytime, ma’am,” Bill nodded smartly.


An hour and lunch later, Harry fell gratefully into a lumpy chair in the lobby of the inn. He rested his head on the back and closed his eyes.


“Oy! No napping, Harry!” Tonks cheerful voice came from above his knees. “We’ve got work to do!”


Harry groaned as a notebook and pencil landed on his stomach. “I was just testing the chairs to see if they were as comfortable as they looked,” he grumbled.


Anna appeared next to Tonks. “Who’s napping? Harry? Haven’t you heard? Sleep is overrated.”


“Not if you’re a growing boy,” Tonks said in all seriousness.


“Good point,” Anna nodded. “Harry, quit growing. We’ve got work to do.”


Harry glared at the two witches in the doorway through a barely open eye.


“Don’t make me call Ginny over,” Anna threatened.


“Or worse, Ginny’s older brother,” Tonks dared. “We could fill his head with all sorts of tales about the things we did with boys when we were Ginny’s age. Could prove to be a right long weekend, Harry.”


“You know, you two are enjoying this way too much,” Harry said, sitting up straighter in the chair.


“Here,” Anna chuckled, handing Harry a piece of parchment. “That’s a copy of the map of the tomb “ or at least Bill’s best guess. And here is one of the surrounding forest. The gold dot is the location of the Hawthorne Bush which we believe is the entrance to the tomb. The blue ring is where we’ll place the wards,” she finished, as she leaned down to pick up her pack.


“We’ll meet you out front, Harry,” Tonks said, stepping back at the same time Anna did. Harry looked up to answer and watched as Anna picked up her pack, catching Tonks foot in the strap. Tonks flew backward into Anna and both stumbled into the wall behind them, sending a picture of a rather severe looking old matron in an ornate gold frame to the floor.


Harry bit his bottom lip, his shoulders shaking with mirth. How did he end up in France with two of clumsiest witches he had ever met?


“Right,” Tonks said, regaining her feet, brushing herself off and extending a helping hand to Anna who took it gratefully. “Out front, Harry.” And with that, the two witches turned with as much dignity as they could muster and headed down the hall.


Harry poked his head out into the corridor leading to the front doors and grinned as he watched Anna hug one wall and Tonks hug the other, careful not to touch anything, including each other.



++++++


Ginny shifted her weight from one foot to the other as Anna knocked on the front door of the little cottage and stepped back off the well worn stone step to wait.


“Une minute! J’arrive.”



Several flakes of peeling green paint floated off the door as it was pulled back to reveal a man who Ginny believed could have been as old as the forest and not much taller than herself. Built compactly and dressed sturdily, much like the cottage he lived in, the man looked at the group standing in his front garden expectantly. Ginny fought to contain her smile as the old man’s white bushy eyebrows lifted in curiosity, causing the strands of white hair standing straight up on the top of his head to stand up even straighter.


“Oui? Comment est-ce que je peux vous aider?"



“Bonjour! Parlez-vous anglais?"



“Un peu. Little,” the man replied.


“Oh, well, uh, Je m’appelle Anna. Je vous presente Harry, Ginny et Nymphadora Tonks.


“Neem-pho-dora?” the man said, his eyes resting on Tonks.


Tonks shrugged, her chocolate brown curls bouncing up and down. “My mum.”


The old man chuckled. “Ma mere, she called me Merlin.”


“No way,” Tonks exclaimed smiling.


“Oui! Sense of humor, eh?” the man grinned, the lines around his mouth deepening, until his face resembled their Muggle road map. Ginny had the feeling this man spent most of his days laughing. She smiled as the man turned to look at her.


“Ma mere “ she had flame ‘air, aussi,” he said, pointing his knobby finger at Ginny’s tresses. Ginny blushed as the old man chuckled. “What can I do for you?”


Anna stepped forward and explained how Harry and Ginny were students on holiday. She and Tonks were their tutors. Their school assignment over the break was to write an essay on some historical or mythical event that took place wherever they were spending their holidays. Harry and Ginny wanted to write about Merlin.


Merlin Abney propped himself against the doorframe of his cottage and smiled wistfully into the sky. He obviously had a great love for his namesake. Not giving a thought to inviting his unexpected guests inside, Merlin crossed his arms over his chest and began spinning stories, in a choppy mix of English and French, of legendary exploits in the forest surrounding his home.


“Ah, Merlin, ‘e is certainly the stuff of legends, is he no?”


“Yes, he is sir,” Harry answered solemnly.


“You must go to the Miroir-aux-Fees where they say the great wizard would sit and dream of ways to enchant the world.”


“Yes, we would like very much to do that, sir, if we may,” Anna said, clasping her hands in front of her. “We were hoping we could use your path to get back there.”


“Oh, you must!” Merlin insisted, waving his arm back toward his garden. “Through the gate. Go. When the light fades, the fairies, they will help you find your way back.”


“Merci,” Anna smiled.


“Non, merci,” Merlin smiled back. “It is good to have someone to tell the old tales to. Demain, aussi?”


“I promise we will knock. Au revoir. A demain.” Anna said as she started to lead them down the garden path.


“Au revoir,” Merlin nodded and waved as he shut the door.


Anna pushed the garden gate open and stood back to let the others through.


“I didn’t know you could speak French,” Ginny said impressed as she passed.


“I can’t really,” Anna answered truthfully. “My French is pretty much limited to, “Do you speak English?” and “Yes, I’d love a tuna fish sandwich.”


Ginny giggled. “Do you even like tuna?”


“Can’t stand the stuff,” Anna grinned, “but when I’m in France, I tend to eat a lot of it.”


The little stone path gave way to bare earth, weaving through the forest. Merlin Abney had told them of the trees and their meanings. The Celts had believed that sanctuary could be found in the forest, the trees being symbols of the sacred. Ginny kept her eyes open for the burial mounds left from ancient peoples. As she walked deeper into its depths, she felt history surround her, the stories and myths weave about her, blanketing her with their magic. How could Muggles not believe this was real?


Tonks stopped without warning and looked around. Anna ran right into the back of her. Harry’s arm shot out and caught Ginny before she became involved. Harry snorted.


“Don’t start, Harry, really,” Anna pleaded. “I’m clumsy enough as it is, then to have this extra anchor in front…it’s just a lost cause.”


“Yes, ma’am,” Harry replied, trying to swallow his laughter.


“Alright, according to the maps, that is Merlin’s tomb,” Tonks said, pointing off to the side of a series of old graves.


Anna passed by Tonks and carefully walked up to the stone. She turned and put her back to the stone and looked out into the woods. Carefully she walked in the a straight line “ five paces, ten paces, twenty paces “ and stopped. She looked down at her side at a bush covered with white thorns.


“And that means the entrance is right here,” Anna pointed down.


Ginny stepped over to Anna’s side. She watched Anna’s face, her cheeks flush in the shadows of the trees, her eyes bright with excitement.


“Can you feel it?” Anna whispered. “It’s here. It’s below our feet.”


“The tomb?” Harry asked, coming to stand beside Ginny.


“That “ and the stories of lives lived, of loves lost, of ideas and dreams realized or not,” Anna said. “Raiding tombs isn’t always about finding treasure. It is also about preserving the memories of the people who were laid to rest in them. It is about respecting them and their loved ones even in death. And it is about unearthing the mystery and magic that those loved ones felt was necessary to send with the deceased into the afterlife. And, of course,” Anna said, dropping her bag onto the ground at her feet, “all of that needs to be done without getting hexed into the afterlife with them.”


“Details, details,” Tonks said, pulling out her wand. “Let’s make sure the area is clear and we’ll call in reinforcements.”


“Right,” Anna said.


The four of them walked around the perimeter of the area, making sure they were alone.


“Harry, Ginny, come with me,” Anna said, pulling a small book from her bag and handing it to Ginny. “We’ll start setting up the wards. Turn to the marked page. You can read along and learn the spells. Tonks?”

“I’ll take care of it,” Tonks said, holding out her wand. She caught Harry’s eye. “You know, Harry, maybe you ought to do this. Rumor has it a white footed stag travels these parts,” she said, cocking her head to the side. “They say deer carry souls to the afterlife, you know.”

Harry looked at her blankly.


“Harry, we need to tell Remus, Bill and Nathan where we are so they can come help,” Tonks prodded, “and bring the tents.”


“Oh!” Harry exclaimed, reaching for his wand. “Deer “ stag “ Order - right, got it,” Harry nodded and held his wand up in front of him.


“Good boy,” Tonks said, patting him on the shoulder.


+++++


Instead of joining Harry and Ginny on the Hogwarts Express back to London, Hermione and Ron had stayed at Hogwarts for the holidays. When Ron grumbled about not being able to go to France, Hermione told him staying at school was good for him. He would have the opportunity to spend some quality time studying for NEWTs and figuring out what he wanted to do after school was over.


Now that Harry had announced his change in careers, Ron had suddenly started questioning his decision to become an Auror. It wasn’t that he thought he couldn’t do it on his own, but rather that suddenly, the idea of additional options “ of there being more out there than just fighting dark magic “ was open for him to consider as well. Hermione had not seemed a bit surprised by Ron’s meandering confusion when he had confessed his indecision to her. She had listened patiently, nodded her head, made the appropriate sympathetic noises at the proper times and then went back to reading when he was finished.


Ron had stared at her for a few moments before finally blurting out, “Well? Aren’t you going to say anything?”


Hermione looked up from her Ancient Runes text and shrugged. “No.”


“You’re going to let me flounder?”


“Yes,” Hermione nodded. “Ron, you’ll figure it out. I’m glad you are looking at other options. You should do what makes you happy. It will make you easier to live with,” she said in all seriousness before returning to her book.


Ron’s face flushed scarlet. “Live with?” he squeaked.


“Here - at Hogwarts!” Hermione sighed. “Alright, you want some input? Study hard. Do well on your NEWTs. If you do well, you can go out and have your choice of jobs. There? Will that do?”


Ron chuckled. “Yeah, that will do. Thanks.”


“Anytime,” Hermione said, returning to her book.



After that discussion, it should have been no surprise to Ron that the first thing Hermione had done once Gryffindor Tower emptied out of eager holiday-bound students, was to suggest they do some revising. Grumpily, Ron had gathered his books and dutifully followed Hermione to the library. He headed toward her favorite table, the one under the window in the front with the good lighting to read by and the excellent view of who was coming and going through the doors. Hermione, however, continued back to the stacks against the far wall to the seats where students went when studying was not the only thing on their schedules. Ron had looked at Hermione questioningly as he dropped his book bag on the table in the corner. Hermione blushed.


“You didn’t think we were going to study the entire break, did you?” she asked.


Now, as Ron made his way back to the library from collecting a book he had left in his trunk, he had to admit, he rather liked certain parts of the library.


“Watch where you’re going, Weasel.”


Ron blinked back to attention barely missing colliding with Draco Malfoy who held several packages in his arm.


Ron stepped to the side, deliberately brushing his shoulder against Malfoy’s. Malfoy hissed as his shoulder jerked, causing one of the small, square packages tied with twine to drop to the floor and come to rest next to Ron’s trainers.


Without thinking, Ron drew his foot back and kicked the package down the corridor, hearing a satisfying crunch of glass as the package hit the feet of suit of armor.


Draco’s wand was at Ron’s throat before he looked up. “You are a rodent,” Draco snarled into Ron’s face, “you and your Mudblood of a girlfriend!”


Ron pulled his knee up, connecting with Malfoy’s stomach. The Slytherin doubled over and tripped backwards. Ron shoved his hand in his pocket for his wand and realized it was in his book bag in the library. Malfoy straightened. Ron sent a silent thank you to his older brothers for years of beatings and bent over, ramming his shoulder into Malfoy’s middle. Ron’s forward motion slammed Malfoy into the stone, cracking his newly healed ribs. Malfoy’s wand clattered to the floor as Ron’s hand grabbed his throat, pressing the air waves closed.


“Never call her that again,” Ron growled, watching Malfoy skin flush red from his effort to breathe.


A disgusted look on his face, Ron released his grip and Malfoy slid to the floor.


“Exactly why was it that your mother wanted Potter and your sister but not you home for the holidays?” Malfoy rasped from Ron’s feet.


“You don’t know what you’re talking about,” Ron spat.


“Then why are you here and they’re not? Unless,” Malfoy sneered, a knowing smile beginning to play at the corners of his mouth as he pushed himself back up the wall, “they did not go home.”


Ron swallowed, a sinking feeling gathering in his gut. He needed to leave. If he stayed, he would most likely say more than he already had.


“Where did they go, Weasel?” Malfoy taunted.


Ron turned away, shaking his head. “Pathetic,” he muttered.


“Weasley!”


Ron groaned as he saw Snape striding purposefully down the hallway. “What is going on here?”


“We were just discussing our holiday plans, sir,” Ron growled.


“Does discussing holiday plans involve strangling a student? Fifty points from Gryffindor and you will be spending your Easter break in detention,” Snape snarled, before turning to Draco. “You need to see Madam Pomfrey.”


“Ask him why he’s here and Potter isn’t,” Draco urged, as he clutched his side, sending Ron a triumphant smirk over his shoulder as he hobbled down the corridor.


“Weasley?” Snape snapped. “Look at me!”


Ron dragged his eyes away from the decrepit form of Malfoy and met Snape’s gaze.


“They didn’t go home, did they?” Snape snarled, looking deeper.


Ron’s eyes widened. Snape was using Legilimency on him. Ron went to move his head but Snape’s hand reached and held his chin firmly in place. Ron slammed his eye lids shut and felt Snape’s grip release.


“I think you may be the more pathetic one, Weasley,” Snape sneered.


+++++


“Hermione!” Ron cried desperately as he charged down the isle in between the bookshelves in the library.


“Shh, Ron!” Hermione scolded. “We might be on break, but that’s no need ““


“Snape used Legilimency on me!”


“What? Are you sure?” Hermione stood up, her eyes boring into Ron’s.


“Yeah, I’m sure,” Ron panted, “the git knows Harry and Ginny didn’t go home.”


“Did he figure out where they went?”


“I don’t think so. I shut my eyes when I figured out what he was doing.”


“I wonder why he’d want to know,” Hermione pondered.


“What are we going to do?” Ron asked.


“Find Dumbledore,” Hermione said, grabbing Ron’s hand.


+++++


Harry stared at his plate. It looked really good. He just wasn’t sure he had the energy to pick up his fork and eat it. His mind was numb from exertion. He watched the butter pool around his green beans. He had had no idea how much energy it took to set up wards, especially wards such as these. They had been casting spells for what seemed like hours when Lupin had commented to him these were very similar to the ones placed around Number Four, Privet Drive, and the Burrow when he came to stay. Never again would he question the time and effort it took to set them up.


“Harry? Is there something wrong with your dinner?” Harry raised his eyes from his plate and blinked numbly at Anna who was looking at him with concern. “You’ve been sitting there staring at your plate for ten minutes and haven’t touched a thing. Do you want something else?”


“No, no, it’s fine “ excellent, in fact,” Harry assured Anna, “I’m “ I’m just not all that hungry.”


Anna smiled gently as Harry tried to stifle a yawn unsuccessfully. “You’re tired.”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded.


“You’ll sleep well, tonight,” Anna said, “which is probably a good thing, considering the cots that these tents come equipped with.”


“Yeah, sleep,” he said wistfully, spearing a green bean with his fork.


“Eat up, Harry,” Bill said, patting Harry on the shoulder from behind. “We’ve got work to do after dinner. I’ll meet you in our tent in twenty minutes.”


“He can’t be serious,” Harry asked Ginny across the table as Bill left the tent she, Tonks and Anna were sharing.


“I’m afraid so,” Ginny answered, setting her fork down. Harry noticed she looked as tired as he did.


“What happens when we fall asleep in the middle of it?” Harry asked.


“We can hope he doesn’t notice,” Ginny shrugged, setting down her napkin and pushing her chair back. “I’ll go see about bringing some tea over. I’ll meet you up there.”


Ten minutes later, Harry ducked under the flap and into the tent he was sharing with Nathan, Bill and Lupin. The tents from the outside looked like Dudley’s two man pup tent that had been used for one summer until Dudley got too big to fit through the flaps. As Bill set the men’s tent up earlier that evening, he had told Harry these were standard issue for curse breakers and to be careful where he walked just in case the stray scorpion had hitched a ride from the last jaunt. Unlike the highly decorated tents at the World Cup, these tents were nothing but functional. Decorated in various shades of brown and kakhi, the tents came equipped with a small kitchenette; one sleeping area filled with cots that could be stacked to form bunk beds; and a sitting area that was cramped mainly because of the oversized, ornately carved wood desk against the far wall. Bill had explained that the goblins, while they were rather unconcerned about the comfort level of their employees, always wanted to make sure their curse breakers had decent workspace.


The soles of Harry’s boots crunched against the centimeter of sand covering the floor which Bill also noted came standard with each tent. (”No spell created can get this stuff out of here. Believe me, we’ve tried!”) Noticing he had the tent to himself, Harry sighed gratefully, arched his back and stretched his arms out wide. Harry was pretty sure the only part of his body which wasn’t aching were his feet in his new dragon hide boots. Letting his arms fall back down, Harry fell straight forward onto his cot, planting his face in his pillow and exhaling happily.


“Don’t get comfy, Harry,” Bill’s voice came from above. “I need a place to sit.”


Harry groaned and rolled over. “Bill, you realize we aren’t going to remember any of this in the morning, don’t you?”


“I can always hope,” Bill answered, sitting down on the edge of the cot.


“Here, this might help,” Ginny said ducking through the flaps of the tent, holding a tray laden with a tea pot and three mugs.


“I love you,” Harry said as Ginny sat down in between him and Bill.


“Hey! Big brother, in the room,” Bill reminded, as he spread out a roll of parchment on the opposite cot. “Hand me your shoes, Harry.”


Harry slipped off his boots and handed them over. Bill weighted the corners of the parchment down with them. “Here,” he said, handing Harry another roll of parchment. “And, Ginny, you take this roll. Now, as you know, the circlet, when we find it, has places for fourteen stones. Once we remove any that are left in it, we will need to put in new ones. Two of those stones are yours and Harry’s birthstones. The other twelve represent the months of the year. Those months represent twelve people who are a part of your lives.


“Our job is to come up with those twelve people. Now, this circlet obviously was not made based on your lives so we will have to come up with some friends to fill in where Merlin had family members represented. The most important thing is that it all balances out “ whatever we have for you, Ginny, we must also have for you Harry. Got it?”


Harry and Ginny nodded.


“Good,” Bill said. “As you can see, on this side of the parchment are the months of the year. This column lists the corresponding birthstones. And this column,” he said, pointing to the row of blank boxes, “is for the name of the person born in that month who can help perform the spell. The last column is for their relationship to you.


“Because of the age of the circlet and the fact that the spell we are using is straight out of one of Nathan’s Ancient Magic lectures, I used a mystical birthstone chart of Tibetan origin that was over a thousand years old so some of the stones may look a little off.


“Now, Harry,” Bill pointed at the parchment covering Harry’s knees, “that is a copy of the pages from McGonagall’s records of all the students and their birthdates who are currently enrolled at Hogwarts in the fifth, sixth and seventh years. Ginny, you have the faculty members since we might need a few of them as well. So, where do you want to begin?”


“Alright,” Ginny said, rubbing her hands together, “let’s start with the obvious, our parents.”


Bill picked up a quill. “February “ Bloodstone “ Arthur Weasley and,” he dipped the quill in the ink, “October “ Jasper “ Molly Weasley. Now, here is where we have to balance it. Harry, when was your mum born?”


“May,” Harry answered.


“Hmm…Sapphire…Anna’s birthday is in May,” Bill mused. “She’d be an excellent stand in for your mum.”


Harry glanced at Ginny who smiled encouragingly. “Alright,” Harry nodded, “and my dad was born in December.”


“December…December…” Ginny ran her finger down the parchment spread over Harry’s knees. “Perfect!” she exclaimed. “Hagrid!”


“Hagrid’s birthday is in December? I didn’t know that,” Harry said.


“I didn’t either,” Ginny answered. “But he’d be good, wouldn’t he?”


Bill wrote in Reubeus Hagrid next to Onyx and snorted. “Well, with a birthstone like that, it certainly makes his Rock Cakes a little less of a mystery.”


Ginny giggled as she took a sip of tea. “Bill, your birthday is in November.”


“You sure?” Bill asked, the quill poised above the parchment.


“Sounds good to me,” Harry said. “But does that mean I have to have someone stand in as a brother?”


“Yeah,” Bill said, filling in his name next to the birthstone Pearl. “Any ideas?”


Harry didn’t even have to think about it. “Ron.”


“Brilliant!” Ginny grinned as Bill filled in Ron next to Jade, March’s birthstone.


“If you have a brother, you must have a sister for balance,” Bill pondered. “When is Hermione’s birthday?”


“September,” Harry answered.


“This is a little too easy,” Bill observed. “Hermione Granger, September, Agate. Alright, Ginny?”


Ginny trailed her fingers down the list of students. “Do we have anyone for August yet?”


“No,” Bill answered, consulting the chart.


“Joanna would be a good sister,” Ginny said before chuckling. “Neville had better save up. August’s birthstone is Diamond.”


“Only in the Mystical realm,” Bill reminded her with a wave of the quill.


“Are you sure this is going to work?” Ginny asked, furrowing her brow. “I mean, we are really just picking names out of the air. How do we know they are the right people?”


Bill sat back. “Birthstones have meanings. Some people put those meanings in the same category as Divination. However, birthstones are true magical objects. Charmed properly, their meanings combine to form the protection. To be honest, it’s almost uncanny how some of those meanings can fit the people born to that stone like a glove.”


Harry pushed up his glasses and rubbed his eyes with the palms of his hands, blinking several times to clear his vision before focusing on the chart again. Bill and Ginny looked at him questioningly as he chuckled.


“By any chance is Luna’s birthday in June?” he asked.


Ginny scanned the parchment on her knees. “It is,” she answered, looking back at the chart. She giggled as she watched Bill write Luna Lovegood next to the birthstone Moonstone. “Well, that is rather fitting, isn’t it?”


“See,” Bill grinned. “Uncanny, isn’t it? Alright, Luna is Ginny’s friend. Harry?”


“Neville?” Harry suggested. “His birthday is July.”


“Of course,” Bill nodded. “Ruby is July’s birthstone. Who do we have left now?”


“January and April,” Ginny read. “According to the people column, these should be leaders or people we look up to.”


“Right. Mentors,” Bill said, glancing at the parchment Harry held. “How about Dumbledore, Harry? His birthday is April for Opal.”


Harry nodded slowly. If anyone deserved the mantle of mentor for him, it would certainly be Albus Dumbledore.


“That leaves someone in your life, Ginny. Mum’s already on the chart, and so is Anna.”


“And Catarina’s gone,” Ginny said quietly.


“Can someone stand in for Catarina?” Harry asked.


“Yeah, as long as they were born in January,” Bill said.


Harry glanced at the date column on his parchment, his finger stopping at the first January birthday it came to. Harry met Ginny’s gaze.


“Nathan,” he smiled.


“Nathan,” Ginny nodded, leaning back against the wall. “Perfect.”


Bill’s quill scratched Nathan’s name next to January’s birthstone, Emerald, then sat back and looked at the chart. He nodded, satisfied.


“That is your circlet,” he proclaimed quietly.


Silence filled the tent as the trio contemplated the completed chart. Harry’s chest swelled as his eyes read the names of the people to whom he was tied. These people “ their lives linked with his “ this was where the true magic could be found. Harry felt Ginny weave her fingers with his and squeeze gently.


“This is our circlet,” Harry repeated softly.


++++


“What do you mean he’s not here?” Ron asked disbelievingly.


“The Headmaster has business elsewhere,” Professor McGonagall answered crisply.


“Professor McGonagall, we think Professor Snape used Legilimency on Ron to find out where Harry and Ginny went for the holidays,” Hermione said. “We need to tell Dumbledore.”


“An accusation like that is a very serious one, Miss Granger,” Professor McGonagall scolded.


“And if he finds out what they are doing, it could very serious, too!” Ron exclaimed angrily.


“And what is your fear if Professor Snape figures out Miss Weasley and Mr. Potter went home for the holidays? I’m assuming all proper wards were put in place, correct? If it makes you feel any better, I will send an owl to your parents and check they arrived safe and sound.”


Ron felt Hermione stiffen beside him and place a restraining hand on his arm. “No, thank you, Professor,” Hermione said, stepping back and pulling Ron with her. “You’re right. We over reacted. Thank you.”


Stunned into silence by Hermione’s sudden change of track, Ron looked from Professor McGonagall’s questioning gaze to Hermione’s determined one. Hermione slipped her hand into his and tugged impatiently.


“Right, Professor,” Ron said, stepping away, too, “sorry. You’re right. They were surprising my parents. Bill was meeting them at the station. I forgot. Uh - Happy Easter.”


“Happy Easter to you, too,” Professor McGonagall answered shaking her head. Glancing over her shoulder as she walked away, McGonagall saw Hermione pull Ron into an alcove and out of sight. She paused briefly. Perhaps sending an owl wasn’t such a bad idea.


Hermione turned to face Ron who looked thoroughly confused.


“Hermione!” Ron whispered. “What was all ““


“Ron, the Order doesn’t know where they went,” Hermione whispered back. “And they aren’t supposed to know until they get back with the circlet.”


“The Order doesn’t know? But what about Lupin and Tonks? Aren’t they Order members?”


“Yes, but they were sworn to secrecy by Dumbledore,” Hermione explained quietly. “If we tell McGonagall where they went, she’ll have to tell the Order.”


“And that would be bad how?” Ron asked. “Harry and Ginny need help!”


“I know!”


“Then what should we do?” Ron demanded.


“I “ I don’t know,” Hermione cried.


“You always know, Hermione!”


“I know, but when it comes to things like this, well, usually ““


“Usually Harry’s here,” Ron said understandingly.


Hermione smiled apologetically. “Yes, Harry is usually here.” Hermione rubbed her temples in frustration. “Look, they are well protected. If we wait until Dumbledore gets back tomorrow morning, he can get in touch with them. We can try sending an owl today with a coded message in case it gets intercepted, but past that, there isn’t much we can do here.”


Ron clamped his mouth shut hard and growled. “I feel helpless. I hate feeling helpless.”


“I know,” Hermione said quietly. “Come on, let’s go get our books so we can head to the Owlery.”


Ron kicked the wall in frustration before following Hermione out of the alcove.




++++


“Severus.”


Snape looked up from the book he was flipping through to see Lucius Malfoy standing in the door to his office.


“How is Draco?” Snape asked, shutting the book.


“He is recovering,” Lucius informed him. Lucius stepped into the office, his curiosity piqued as Snape hid the book under a piece of parchment.


“That is encouraging,” Snape replied, standing up and moving around to the front of his desk.


After his confrontation in the hall with Ron, Snape had gone directly to Nathan’s office. He knew Borgin was behind Potter not going home. He knew this had something to do with the Dark Lord. And he was certain a clue had to be in Borgin’s office. Snape had been cursing Ron for closing his eyes too soon when he found what he was looking for on Nathan’s bookshelves. He had almost laughed as he stepped forward, reaching out to the books arranged in alphabetical order by author within subject categories. All, that is, except one.


“Do you have news?” Lucius asked, taking a step back.


“No,” Snape said, his lips pursed.


“I think you do,” Lucius said, stepping around Snape and snatching the parchment up. “A travel guide to France? What is this?”


“Research,” Snape snarled, reaching out to grab the book from Lucius’ hands and failing.


Lucius turned to the marked page. “The Forest of Brocelinde? Severus, you never struck me as a follower of Merlin.”


“I’m not,” Snape bit out. “Borgin is.”


“Borgin? What does Borgin have to do with this?”


”Borgin went to France for the Easter holidays,” Snape said.


“Isn’t that romantic,” Lucius replied caustically, his mind turning.


Borgin unprotected, unaware.


Lucius dropped the book back on Snape’s desk and turned to leave.


“Let it go, Severus. I will take care of it,” Lucius assured him over his shoulder.


Snape’s eyes narrowed in anger at Lucius’ retreating back. He growled, his nostrils flaring with hatred. How dare he speak to him as if he were an imbicle! As the anger settled in his gut, Lucius’s words rattled in his brain.


I will take care of it.


Snape’s lips curled into a snarl. If Lucius took care of Borgin, Borgin would be gone. Snape narrowed his eyes. Then, he took Lucius advice. He let it go and smiled.


“Then, by all means, take care of it…”




+++++


A/N “ Oh, the people to thank!

To Czarina “ thank you so much for your help with the French translation! Without you, Merlin only knows what I was saying. Merci!

To wvchemteach “ Luna’s moonstone is all yours. Many, many thanks!

To Anya and your mom “ thanks for the second set of eyes. And yes, my son is growing up against my wishes!

To Bogus 7 “ mods rule!




As far as the next update goes…it’s that time of year again when we pack up our kids, send the dog to camp, hire a cat sitter and schlep half way across the country for nine days of family fun with the grandparents. It’s wonderful, exhausting, nerve wracking, necessary and we eat well! But it does throw a wrench in the whole fan fic updating business.

That being said…look for another update a little early (Thursday, Nov 16th). Then, the next update will not be up until most likely Monday, Nov 30th, when we and our fifteen loads of laundry return.

If you sense that I don’t enjoy these trips, I do. But yes, I end up needing a vacation from my vacation at the end of them. 




If you want to learn more…



Birthstones - http://www.bernardine.com/gemstones/birthstones.htm

General Information - http://france-for-visitors.com/brittany/index.html

Travel info - http://www.smh.com.au/news/France/The-enchanted-wood/2005/03/25/1111692620456.html?oneclick=true

Passport office - http://www.ukpa.gov.uk/index.asp

Passport/train information - http://www.chainreaction.com/eurotrip05.htm

Eurostar - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eurostar

The Tomb by kjpzak
The Second Part of this chapter has been re-submitted...stay tuned. Sorry for the unintentional cliffie!

Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from the Harry Potter World.




The Tomb






Mr. Tibbles loved living at the Burrow. He had known he would from the first time he had brushed against the legs of the red headed witch. He knew she was in charge. He could sense the aura around her, and what an aura it was. This was a woman who liked being in control. As a cat, he could appreciate that. But that was not the main reason Mr. Tibbles had so adamantly fought to come home with the red headed witch. No, he fought because of how she smelled.


Mr. Tibbles had loved Mrs. Figg, as much as a cat can. She always kept his food bowl full; didn’t mind if he chased her tartan carpet slippers; and left the kitchen tap on at a dribble so he could drink cold running water whenever he liked, even when there were watering restrictions posted. And until he had sat next to the red headed witch, Mr. Tibbles had assumed female humans primarily smelled like cabbages. How wrong he had been. The red headed witch smelled of sweet and spice. She smelled of savory things he had never imagined could be served without a side of aspic. She smelled of things that made him swoon and want to swear off coughing up hairballs in the middle of the sitting room rug.


This is why it was a bit of a rude awakening when Mr. Tibbles crawled out from under the red headed witch’s bed to venture forth for his first meal in his new home only to find the same pinkish-gray mash in his bowl that Mrs. Figg had fed him. It had been fine for Mrs. Figg; but Mr. Tibbles knew the red headed witch could do so much better.


Mr. Tibbles had flapped his tail in consternation twice before turning around and padding back upstairs, head held high, tail in the air. The food remained in his bowl all day. It was there the next day, too. On the third day, the red headed witch threw out the original lump which had become dried and crusty and replaced it with new. When Mr. Tibbles came to the kitchen door to inspect his changed food, he took one sniff and turned away in a huff, but not before noticing the slight look of reluctant concern on the witch’s face. Mr. Tibbles padded back up to his hiding place under the bed, a slightly jaunty confidence in his tail swishing. He could hold out as long as she could, especially since he’d discovered a family of slow moving, lazy mice living in the attic.


Three more days passed in much the same manner. Now the red headed witch’s husband was looking at him with concern. Mr. Tibbles moved from beneath the mattresses to sleeping on the end of the bed.


Another two days passed. The red headed witch had begun ‘tut “tuting’ at him and scratching him behind the ears as he slept on top of the quilt at the foot of the bed. He had opened one eye and saw her brow furrowed with worry. He closed his eyes and curled his tail tighter to him. Two more days passed with the same mash drying up in his bowl.


Then, it happened.


Mr. Tibbles entered the kitchen that morning and sniffed. He sniffed again just to be sure. Last night’s leftovers. Heaven. He purred. He ate. And he started sleeping on the witch’s pillow.


Things had been going smoothly for several months now which is why, when Mr. Tibbles trotted into the kitchen this morning, he didn’t even bother to take a precursory sniff. He’d padded over to his bowl and found it…empty. He stared at it for a moment then up at the red headed witch who was standing at the kitchen sink. Mr. Tibbles hopped up on the table and walked over to her. He meowed. She ignored him. He squawked. She still ignored him. He head butted her elbow. She glared at him. Mr. Tibbles did not back down. This was breakfast. He stared right back.


“Oh!” the witch exclaimed in frustration, her eyes flashing fire.


Mr. Tibbles stepped back as she threw a piece of parchment on the table and reached into the icebox. Mr. Tibbles watched as the witch unceremoniously dumped the contents of a container into his bowl. He padded over and sniffed sweetness. He looked up at the witch who was grabbing the flowerpot off the mantle then back at his bowl. Mr. Tibbles had never had Treacle Tart before, but as long as it was not served with a side of aspic, he was happy. He dug in.


Molly Weasley threw a hand of Floo powder into the fireplace and bellowed, “ALBUS DUMBLEDORE!”


A few seconds later, the Hogwarts Headmaster’s head appeared in the green flames. “Good morning, Molly,” his head said. “I’m assuming you have just received Minerva’s owl?”


“WHERE ARE THEY?”


“Now, Molly ““


“ALBUS DUMBLEDORE! WE’VE BEEN THROUGH THIS BEFORE! DO NOT PLACATE ME! JUST TELL ME WHERE HARRY AND GINNY ARE BEFORE I COME THROUGH THIS FIRE AND WRING IT OUT OF YOU!”


“They are in France ““


“FRANCE! WHAT ARE THEY DOING IN FRANCE? ARE THEY ALONE? HOW COULD ““


Mr. Tibbles looked up from his tart at the loud “Pop!” in the kitchen. He knew the white haired wizard standing there from Mrs. Figg’s. He always smelled like old magic and lemon drops. Mr. Tibbles returned to his tart.



Albus Dumbledore placed his hands on Molly’s arms. “Harry and Ginny are fine.”


“They’re in France!” she cried, pushing his hands away.


“Yes, with Nathan, Anna, Remus, Tonks and Bill.”


“Wi-with Bill? They’re with Bill?” Molly sputtered. “And no one thought to tell me?”


“Molly, they are of age ““


“Don’t give that ‘of age’ business,” Molly hissed. “I know they are ‘of age’!”


“Molly, she is old enough to make her own decisions,” Dumbledore argued solemnly.


“She is my daughter, Albus,” Molly pleaded.



“She is safe. She has the protection of some of our best Order members.”


“But Harry ““


“The safest place for Harry is with Ginny,” Dumbledore said softly, “thanks to you.”


Molly pursed her lips, her maternal instincts warring. Throwing her blood protection back at her was just unfair. “Where are they?”


“The Forest of Brocelinde,” Dumbledore answered.


“Why in the world would they be there?” Molly asked incredulously.


Dumbledore sighed. “Molly, this is business for the Order ““


“No,” Molly growled, “this is for me. I am the mother. I deserve to know.”


“Molly, Harry and Ginny, among others, have been working on something they are going to present to the Order when they return from France.”


“What are they working on, Albus?”


“They are working on a way to defeat Tom,” Dumbledore replied quietly.


Molly stopped, her blood turning cold, her body freezing in place. She had known this was coming. How could it not be coming? She knew of Harry’s role, of the Prophecy. She knew one would have to die. She feared that if that one was Harry, Ginny, too, would perish - from a broken heart or a broken bond, she wasn’t sure. She wanted to scream at Albus for letting her daughter and Harry pursue this, for letting them think they could even achieve this. But the decision was not hers to make. It had been made seventeen years ago by someone else.


“When will they be back?” Molly asked shakily, her voice filled with fear, rage and tears.


“In the next few days,” Dumbledore answered quietly.


Molly nodded and her eyes began to water. She swallowed and brushed away a a tear that escaped and rolled down her cheek.


“I need to get back,” Dumbledore said, placing a reassuring hand on Molly’s shoulder. “I will contact you with any news.”


With a “Pop!” he was gone. Molly took a steadying breath and picked up the corner of her apron to dry her eyes. Flattening it back down, she glanced over at Mr. Tibbles’ bowl.


“Oh!” she exclaimed, eyeing the remains of the Treacle Tart with misgiving. She had been saving that for Arthur tonight. Scooping the bowl up, she stopped, her eyes widening as she listened to a retching noise from the sitting room. “Oh, no you don’t!” she cried, dropping the bowl and rushing to rescue her sitting room rug from Mr. Tibbles.


++++


Nathan pushed aside the tent flaps and breathed deep, the cool, crisp forest air filling his senses. It was almost as good as a mug of tea. Almost. Placing his hands on the small of his back, Nathan stretched, feeling his muscles complain about the sleeping conditions they had endured last night. The goblins had placed hexes on the furnishings of the tent for two reasons: one, to make sure no one made off with anything from the tent; and two, to keep any unwanted hexes, curses or ill luck from coming back with the tent. This of course meant that no cushioning or comfort charm could be placed on those rickety excuses for beds. Nathan groaned as he tilted his head to the side to loosen his neck muscles. Anna had not been joking when she said those cots were made for the young. Nathan glanced over his shoulder at the sound of the tent flaps rustling and smiled at Remus as he straightened up.


“ ‘morning,” Nathan greeted. “How’d you sleep?”


“I’m pretty sure I have slumbered transformed on wooden planks more comfortably than that cot last night,” Remus winced as he too stretched.


“Judging by his snoring, Bill didn’t seem to mind so much. Do you suppose he knows something we don’t?” Nathan joked.


Remus chuckled. “I think the only thing Bill had going for him last night was youth.”


“Well, that certainly would explain Harry, too,” Nathan conceded.


“Yes, it would,” Remus nodded before clearing his throat. “Speaking of Harry, Nathan, I’ve been meaning to, for a while now, thank you for looking after him at Hogwarts.”


“Thank you, but to be honest, I don’t think he needs much looking after,” Nathan replied honestly, studying Remus. “He seems to have been taught how to do that long before I came on the scene.”


“Yes, well…I wanted to let you know we appreciate it.”


“We?”


“The Order, Tonks, myself “ James and Lily.”


“I’m sorry I never got to know James better,” Nathan said quietly.


“Well, we ran in different circles. And to be honest, none of us could conceive of ever liking a Slytherin all that much.”


Nathan chuckled. “I think that could be said from both sides of the Great Hall.”


“Yes, but you found Anna.”


“Which just goes to show you that you should never underestimate a determined woman,” Nathan said, looking at Lupin meaningfully.


Remus chuckled. “That is the truth, isn’t it?”


++++


Anna waved her wand above the Hawthorne bush. “Prosubigo.”


Ginny watched in fascination as the dirt at the base of the thorny bush came alive, moving and shifting to free the roots one by one. Almost like feet stepping out of a hole, the roots twisted and turned and came to rest on the forest floor, leaving an empty, gaping hole about a half meter deep.


“So, that’s the same bush Merlin fell asleep under?” Ginny asked as Anna levitated it out of the way.


“I believe so,” Anna answered. Carefully she set the bush down and placed a repelling charm around it to avoid further damage from accidental incidents.


“Alright,” Bill said, coming up behind. “Ginny, your first tool as an official curse breaker.”


Ginny almost laughed as she reached out to take a shovel from Bill’s hands. “We dig?”


“We dig,” Bill nodded. “There are dirt removal spells but we’re not real sure what kind of wards are around the tomb. If we choose the wrong spell, it might mix with any deterrent hexes used and we could all be blown back to Paris in tiny little bits. Digging is safe on tombs from this age. Muggle shovels are made of a mixture of metals not known back then and therefore are generally impervious to anything they could come into contact with. It’s human skin, however,” Bill said, passing out pairs of dragon hide gloves, “that hasn’t changed much over the years. Put these on.”


Ginny slipped on the gloves and took hold of the shovel. With a heave, she planted the tip into the loose soil and pressed down with her foot. “Where’s Harry? Shouldn’t he be doing this too?”


Bill grinned. “He should save his strength. The other reason shovels are such a fantastic tool for the job is the tomb doors “ they must weigh a good 90 kilos or more and you need the leverage to crack the seal.”


“Exactly what would you do if Harry and I hadn’t come along?” Ginny asked, dumping a shovel full of dirt millimeters from her brother’s boots.


“We always bring back up,” Bill said, pointing his thumb over his shoulder at Lupin and Nathan.


Ginny giggled and dug deeper. The hole was almost two meters deep when the tip of Bill’s shovel hit something solid.


“Voila,” Anna grinned.


Ginny swiped her sleeve across her brow and stood up, arching her back. “So,” she asked, “why haven’t Muggles been able to find this?”


“Well, uh ““ Anna stuttered, looking at Bill for help.


“Just say it, Anna,” Bill said, hopping out of the hole and extending a hand to help Ginny up.


“Muggles tend to overlook things they can’t explain. It’s easier for them. They can be rather ““


“Oblivious,” Bill chimed in, pulling out his wand.


Anna shrugged apologetically. “Oblivious,” she repeated. “But, in all fairness, most tombs such as this one had such strong deterrent spells put on them, not even most wizards could find them. Huh “ Bill “ check it out,” she said, pointing her wand at the hole.


Bill looked into the hole. “Haven’t seen that one in a while.”


Ginny peered over the edge and blinked. “Is that another bush starting to grow already?” As Ginny watched, roots were already forming from air, digging into the sides of the hole, creeping up toward them.


“Strigo Incrementum,” Anna said, pointing her wand at the newly forming Hawthorne Bush, halting its growth. “The same type of spells that render Hogwarts a big moldering ruin to Muggles are often used on tombs to keep them from being found by grave robbers.”


“And what makes us so different than a grave robber?” Ginny asked.


“For starters, we’ll only be taking one thing,” Bill answered, picking up his wand from the ground where he had placed it.


“Secondly, as a rule, we try to avoid family plots,” Anna said, “especially ones that are less than two hundred years old.”


“Big, ill begotten stashes of wealth, though,” Bill smiled, “are free game. You ready?” he asked Anna.


Anna nodded. “Oh, wait a second. Where’s Harry? He should see this.”


“He was working with Tonks checking the wards,” Ginny said, looking over her shoulder. “I’ll go get him.”


Anna glanced at Bill as he watched his sister run off to fetch Harry. “You’re proud of her, aren’t you?” she observed smiling.


Bill turned back to Anna and grinned. “You are, too.”


Anna chuckled. “Hard not to be.”


“That is true. Good morning, Harry,” Bill greeted, as Harry, Ginny and Nathan joined them.


“Morning,” Harry said, peering into the hole. “You should have said something. I would have helped dig.”


Nathan chuckled. “I wouldn’t worry too much. I have a feeling they have other ideas for us. Tonks and Remus are taking today’s watch.”


“Watch?” Harry asked concerned.


“Since we aren’t really supposed to be doing this, we thought having an extra set of eyes up top along with the wards was a good idea,” Anna explained.


“All set?” Bill asked, dramatically posing over the hole. “Alright, stand back.”


“Really?” Harry asked uncertainly.


Anna rolled her eyes at Bill. “He’s joking, Harry. If he tried to cast an exploratory charm like that, he’d fall in the hole. Quit showing off, Bill, and cast it.”


Bill grinned. “Right. First off, I’m going to cast a charm to determine what kind of deterrent charms are on the tomb. There are a series of these,” Bill lectured in an official sounding tone, “and regulations state a curse breaker should follow them in the specific order outlined in the Gringotts Curse Breaker Employee Handbook.”


“You say that so convincingly,” Anna commented dryly. “I almost believe you follow it.”


“I do!” Bill exclaimed.


Anna raised her eyebrows.


Bill avoided Anna’s gaze and pointed his wand at the hole.


“Once you get the hang of it,” Anna grinned at Bill as he started, “you tend to know the type of deterrent spells used based on the culture. And to be honest, the first fifteen charms on the list are pretty much only used by five year olds hiding sweets under their beds.”


Harry watched in fascination as Bill cast charm after charm, different colored sparks, flashes and streams of light emitting from the end of his wand. Harry’s fingers itched for a quill and a piece of parchment so he could write them all down and study them later. As that thought sunk in, Harry shivered and glanced around, wondering if Hermione had tagged along unexpectedly.


The air around them began to smell like a mixture of dust, burnt wet wood and rotten eggs. The light coming from Bill’s wand bounced around the hole, sometimes changing color, other times not. Occasionally a charm would sink into the dirt and Harry noticed Bill and Anna nod in satisfaction. Halfway through, Anna took over, giving Bill a break. Harry could tell the charms they used were getting more complex, the light getting brighter, the ricochet of the spell stronger, the displacement of dirt greater. Harry guessed between the two, fifty spells had been cast at the opening when Anna dropped her wand to her side and growled in frustration.


“Is it not working?” Ginny asked.


“Stubborn thing,” Anna said, resting her hands on where her hips had been several months before.


“What haven’t we tried?” Bill asked, scratching the back of his neck.


Anna screwed up her face and furrowed her brow. “The spells that sunk through “ crap,” she exclaimed. “Stand back everybody.” Everyone took a step back as Anna pointed her wand and spoke clearly, “Follisich!”


A bright white light shot from Anna’s wand and into the hole, disappearing into the loose dirt. Ginny held her breath. The silence of the forest was broken with a rumble that came from below their feet. Ginny’s knees wobbled and she struggled to keep her balance. She reached out and grabbed onto Harry. Together, they watched as the opening in the ground began to glow brightly, a beacon in the forest. Without warning, the force of centuries old magic came blasting out of the hole sending everyone stumbling backward. Ginny fell on top of Harry who wrapped his arms around her and pulled her close. He turned over, pressing Ginny into the damp earth as the hole spewed dirt over them. Harry’s heavy breathing mixed with the plop of raining soil in Ginny’s ear. She turned her head to peak out from under Harry’s protective arm. She saw Nathan helping Anna up. Harry pushed himself back to his knees and held out his hand to Ginny. They stood, brushing dirt off themselves and walked tentatively over to the tomb entrance.


The magical blast had enlarged the hole to at least a meter wide. Ginny peered over the edge. She glanced up at Anna who was smiling at her. Ginny smiled back and looked back down. At the bottom of the hole, a bright white ring surrounded a flat, round, engraved stone about the size of a manhole cover. The light glowed for a moment than faded.


“Wow,” Ginny breathed.


“Gaelic revealing charm,” Bill nodded. “Nice touch.”


“Nimue did an excellent job on this,” Anna said.


“Alright, Harry, Nathan,” Bill said, reaching down for gloves, “put these on and pick up a shovel. It’s time to break the seal.”


“You don’t do that with magic?” Harry asked, pulling his gloves on.


“No. It’s just easier to do it this way, to be honest,” Bill said, hopping back in the hole. “There are spells, but they’re tricky and time consuming. Once the seal is cracked, we can use magic to levitate the stone and we’ll be good to go.”


“After you, Harry,” Nathan said, motioning for Harry to jump in.


Harry grabbed his shovel and stepped off the edge.


+++++


Half an hour later, Harry glanced at the removed tombstone off to the side before dropping down the hole and landing with a soft thud on a hard stone and dirt floor. He inhaled. “Uh!” he grimaced.


“Yeah,” Bill said, behind him, “newly opened tombs are not known for their air quality. With ones this old, we usually do a little air cleansing before we hop on in, but that can take time we don’t have today.”


“Oh!” Anna exclaimed from behind them. “I don’t know if I’ll ever get used to that smell,” she said, stumbling slightly.


Nathan caught her elbow. “You alright?”


“Yeah,” Anna replied faintly. “Give me a minute. I’m just a little light headed.”


“Here, have a seat under the opening,” Bill said, shoving one of their packs into the middle of the circle of light. “The air is fresher here.”


“Thanks,” Anna smiled gratefully.


Bill lit his wand and reached into the pack at his feet. As he straightened up, Harry saw Bill flatten his palm and move four silver discs apart. He pointed his lit wand at them and muttered, “Illumino.”


The discs began to glow a bright blue. Bill dropped one on the ground by their feet. He then tossed the remaining three into the darkness. As the discs hit the ground, the blue glow brightened, becoming lighter and stronger.


“Waterproof Light Activated Illumination Sources,” Bill said, as the tomb entryway became lit.


“Brilliant,” Harry breathed.


“I’ll let Fred and George know you said that,” Bill smiled.


“I thought I recognized those,” Ginny grinned. “They used to throw them in toilet right before guests would arrive at the Burrow. When someone would open the lid and let light in, they exploded, showering the guest with water. And then of course, Mum would explode,” she giggled at the memory.


“They’ve refined them since then,” Bill said. “These last at least eight hours and they go out with a nice soft pop.”


“Of course, along with a pop, they let off the most horrendous stink,” Anna said, standing up and waving Nathan’s hand off, “which, now that I’ve met your brothers, I’m not convinced isn’t on purpose. So, where are we?”


As Bill unrolled the tomb map he had created, Ginny breathed shallowly through her mouth and grimaced. Even in her mouth, she could sense the thick dampness of stopped time. She swallowed and clamped her teeth together, grinding dirt in between her molars. She cleared her throat and looked around. The bright blue light seemed to enhance the chilled underground air, bouncing off the slime covered walls. Piles of shadows rested against the edges calling her forward to investigate down several passageways.


Ginny stepped forward, blanching slightly as her foot crunched something. Gingerly picking up her boot, she looked down.


“Rat,” Anna said from behind her.


“Rat,” Ginny repeated.


“Don’t worry, you’ll get used to it,” Anna assured her, kicking the skeletal remains of the rodent to the side.


“The twins put worse under my blankets,” Ginny replied.


Anna blinked at her. “Really? I never had a sibling. Always thought I wanted one,” she mused, rubbing her stomach.


Ginny giggled. “It goes both ways, you know.”


“Ah,” Anna nodded in understanding.


“Time just stops down here, doesn’t it?” Ginny observed.


“You noticed,” Anna smiled. “In its most elemental form, a tomb is a time capsule designed to keep things just as they were.”


“What are those?” Ginny motioned toward the shadows.


Anna squinted. “Well, if our theory is correct, we are in the cellar of the tower that Nimue built around the trapped Merlin. Before he made this home sweet home, he was known to be somewhat of a pack rat. Now, no one is certain how long Merlin was in here, but if we had time, I’m sure we could find some real treasures in those piles.”


“Treasures?”


“Well, nothing that was probably worth anything much monetarily,” Anna shrugged. “More like items that might tell us more about Merlin as a wizard, what kind of witch Nimue really was “ that kind of thing. Come on, Bill’s found the proper corridor.”


++++


“Professor Dumbledore?” Hermione called, waving as she ran down the corridor, Ron at her side.


“Good day, Miss Granger, Mr. Weasley. How are your holidays going?” the Headmaster asked, pausing in front of the gargoyle guarding the entrance to his office.


“Snape used Legilimency on me!” Ron exclaimed breathlessly.


“That’s a strong accusation against a teacher,” Dumbledore said seriously.


“He knows they didn’t go home,” Hermione said pleadingly. “We told Professor McGonagall. We sent an owl to warn them. We don’t know where they are-”


“Miss Granger, breathe,” Dumbledore said, placing a hand on her shoulder. Turning, he searched Ron’s eyes. “You say Professor Snape used Legilimency on you? Why?”


“He told me to look at his eyes,” Ron said desperately. “I “ it felt like I wasn’t alone in my own head! You have to believe us!”


Dumbledore sighed heavily. “I do not take your concerns lightly. I have spoken with your mother this morning,” he nodded at Ron, “as Professor McGonagall did send an owl to her based on your conversation yesterday. I have explained the situation to her. I will do my best to send a message to Professor Borgin and Remus.”


“Do your best?” Hermione echoed. “What does that mean?”


Ron looked at Hermione in shock. She was questioning a professor “ no, she was questioning Dumbledore! She stood there, frizzy strands of hair escaping from the clip at her neck, eyes blazing with challenge, cheeks pink with conviction. Ron had never thought her more beautiful. He nodded adamantly as he turned back to Dumbledore.


“They are surrounded by woodlands, protected by extremely powerful wards. I will do my best,” Dumbledore said with sincerity. “And I’m assuming you won’t leave my side until I do,” he said, pinning Hermione with a meaningful look.


“Please, sir,” Hermione said, her cheeks turning from pink to red.


“Very well,” Dumbledore replied, “you had better come with me then,” and he turned back toward the gargoyle guarding the entrance to his office.



+++++


“So? What did you find?” Tonks asked, holding out her hand and helping Ginny out of the hole.


“Dirt,” Ginny replied, closing her eyes and breathing deeply, her lungs joyfully filling with fresh air. “Lots and lots of dirt.”


“There was a cave in,” Bill said, climbing out. “We need to take some shovels down there tomorrow.”


“Anything else?” Remus asked, taking a pack Anna handed up from the tomb’s entrance.


“Yeah “ thanks,” Anna said, gratefully taking Remus’ helping hand. “We did find quite a bit. Turns out the cellar of the tower was used as most cellars are, that being a place to collect odds and ends and things you have no idea what to do with.”


“What did you think of it, Harry?” Remus asked, as Harry climbed out.


“It was brilliant!” Harry smiled, his teeth glowing white through the dirt on his face. “We went down this passageway that was probably cobblestone at one point in time but now was mostly roots and dirt. The air kept getting colder because the floor slanted downward and we kept going deeper and deeper. There were alcoves all along the passageway filled with stuff. All the metal stuff was still around, like cauldrons and cups and some silverware type things, but anything that was made of wood had long since disintegrated.”


Lupin chuckled and patted Harry on the shoulder. “Sounds like you enjoyed yourself!”


“I did!” Harry exclaimed. “I can’t wait for tomorrow!”


“Yes, tomorrow,” Bill said. “We’ll have to do some digging, but I’m pretty sure, what we are looking for is right on the other side of that pile of dirt.”


“You’re joking!” Harry said. “Why did we have to come back up? I could have started digging!”


“I know, Harry,” Anna smiled, “but it’s important to always be fresh and alert when working in tombs, especially unknown tombs, just in case. We’ll get an early start first thing tomorrow.”


“Did you run into any problems?” Lupin asked.


“No,” Anna shook her head. “Judging by what we found off the passageway, Nimue wasn’t all that concerned with Merlin’s junk. We did send a few shield testing charms into the landslide, however, and they hit something which is why we think what we are looking for is right on the other side.”


“Any chance the pile of dirt is supposed to be a deterrent?” Tonks asked.


“I’m almost positive it is,” Anna nodded. “It looks too perfect to be a natural occurrence. For starters, the ceiling and walls around it are perfectly flat “ there’s no sign of dirt falling from them. I’m sure most folks would run into the cave in and assume that was the end of the line and turn around.”


“I’m starving,” Nathan said, putting an arm around Anna, “and I bet you are, too,” he said, placing a kiss on her dirty hair. “How about we clean up and start dinner?”


“Excellent,” Anna said. “Dibs on the shower!”


An hour later, Anna sat down next to Harry on the bench surrounding the table in the women’s tent. Harry scooped up his glass of water before Anna’s elbow sent it flying as she set her bowl of stew down in front of her.


“Thanks,” Anna grinned sheepishly.


“No problem,” Harry said, setting his glass back down. “The stew’s really good.”


“Thanks,” Anna said, unfolding her napkin in her lap. “Old family recipe. Tweaked, of course. My mother never used enough garlic. You can never have enough garlic. So, Harry,” Anna said, taking a sip of water, “how’s your Legilimency coming along?”


“It isn’t,” Harry said, sopping up stew with a piece of bread.


“Really?” Anna asked. “Why ever not?”


“Well, Nathan thought it best I get a good handle on Occlumency or, in his case, Alienari, first, and then this whole thing started,” Harry waved his hand around, “and well, to be honest, it was just one thing we set aside until later.”


“That makes sense,” Anna nodded. “It is more important that you be able to guard your mind against unwanted visitors than for you to be able to poke around in someone else’s, eh?”


“Yeah,” Harry agreed.


“I suppose this whole adventure has put a bit of a twist in your other activities, hasn’t it?”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded. “The DA, uh, Dumbledore’s army, hasn’t met in several months, either. But that’s not such a big thing, seeing as we have a decent defense against the dark arts professor.”


Anna smiled. “Nathan enjoys teaching.”


“He’s good at it,” Harry shrugged.


“Yes, he is,” Anna nodded. “So, are you ready for tomorrow?”


“Yeah, I think so,” Harry replied. “What are we doing exactly?”


Anna reached toward the middle of the table and took a roll out of the basket. “We will remove any hexes on the dirt and then remove the dirt. Behind the dirt, Bill thinks there is a barrier of sorts. He doesn’t think it is a wall, more like a magical shield. He thinks Nimue may have taken the original entrapment charm used for the whole tower and basically shrunk it down to protect Merlin’s resting place.

“The ironic piece of it is,” Anna said, spreading some butter on her roll, “Nimue’s original entrapment charm was done for the very selfish reason of keeping Merlin where she wanted him. In the end, Nimue used it for a very unselfish purpose, that being to protect Merlin from the outside world.”


“Yeah,” Harry nodded, a little awed. “How are we supposed to get through the shield, then?”


“It’s a process called Shield Transference,” Bill said, sitting down opposite them. “I was just telling Ginny and Nathan about it. When an entrapment charm is altered, it weakens. That, on top of how old this particular charm is, should make it no problem to transfer the source of the shield’s power onto another object. The charm will still be in place, it just won’t use the circlet as its source.


“In order to do that, we have to work fast. You, Anna, Ginny and myself will break the shield with a massive blast of power. When we break it, it will search for something to grab onto, which will be my wand. Nathan will target the circlet to remove a stone. Once the stone is gone, Nathan will summon the circlet, pop the rest of the stones out, throw them back in and we’ll transfer the shield back to them, keeping Merlin’s tomb intact.”


“That’s it?” Harry asked.


“Well, it’s a rather simplistic explanation, but yeah,” Bill nodded, “that’s it. Should go off without a hitch, unless Nathan can’t get the Irish pronunciation down.”


“Irish pronunciation?” Harry asked.


“Since the tomb entrance was guarded with a Gaelic spell, we’re assuming the circlet is also,” Anna said. “Nathan has had to translate the spell into Irish and well, here’s hoping the luck of the Irish is with us.”


Harry grinned then furrowed his brow. “What kind of spell are we throwing at the shield?”


“A Patronus ought to do it,” Bill said, “or several of them, especially considering one of them is yours.”


Harry’s cheeks flushed and he shifted his eyes to his empty bowl.


“I’m rather excited to see it,” Anna said admiringly. “Remus says it’s quite a sight to behold.”


“Thanks,” Harry grinned.


Anna held her napkin to her mouth to cover her yawn.


“Right,” Bill said, standing up. “Time for all of us to get some sleep. Tomorrow’s a big day. Come on, Harry.”


“Good night, Anna,” Harry said, collecting his and Anna’s dishes as he stood up.


“Thank you, Harry. Sweet dreams,” Anna wished before also standing up and heading toward her bed.


+++++



“Good evening, Firenze.”


“Headmaster,” the Centaur inclined his head.


“Firenze, I am in need of counsel,” Dumbledore said, sliding his hands inside the long arms of his robes for warmth.


“Centaurs are not known for keeping counsel. It goes against our nature. We simply tell you what we see.”


“I need to know what you see.”


“I see men with many strings.”


“Do any of those strings go beyond our boarders?” Dumbledore asked, his voice betraying his concern.


“Yours and others,” the Centaur replied.


“Others?”


“Dark and light, some twisted, others not.”


“Have any become entwined?”


“They will.”


“Thank you, Firenze,” the Headmaster said, turning back toward the castle.


“Headmaster?”


“Yes?”


“Sleep well.”


“Do you?” Dumbledore asked.


“It is against our nature,” the Centaur repeated.


“As it is mine,” Dumbledore replied softly.



++++



It was stating the obvious, but he felt he needed to anyway.


“And there it is,” Bill said quietly.


“And there it is,” Anna repeated.


Ginny stepped forward and felt Anna put her arm out, holding her back.

“Shield,” Anna warned.


Ginny nodded, her eyes searching the space in front of her. It was hazy, as if the magic filling the air was polluted. She felt as if she was trying to see through sea water as she squinted through the falling particles disrupted by the moving of the dirt barrier. The walls were curved and stone. This surprised Ginny since the passage leading to the room was dirt. From what she could tell through the murkiness, the floor was flat, dull and grey. In the middle, a simple, stone alter stood, on which rested Merlin’s remains. Anna had warned her that the bones would most likely be exposed as any burial shrouds would have disintegrated.


“Do you see it?” Anna whispered.


Ginny nodded slowly. Resting above the skull was the circlet. From where she was standing, the headpiece looked small and tarnished, centuries of dirt dulling the polish and sheen. She could not make out the detail, but it was hard to miss the stones. Their luster was hidden beneath time but their size was visible from here, large bumps of burgundy and blackened green against the brown of the gold.


Bill cleared his throat. “Harry, Ginny, Anna and myself will target the shield. Nathan, you will target the circlet. Are you ready?”


They all nodded.


“On my mark then…”


+++++


Tonks stood on the far side of the camp. She scanned the sky “ or at least what she could see of it. The trees were thick and tall and not much blue showed through them on a good day.


She was nervous. Yesterday she hadn’t been. But something was off today. At first she had thought it was simply excitement, but the feeling hadn’t gone away. Moody said never to ignore the ones that don’t go away.


She started walking the perimeter of the wards again. She smiled at Remus who was listening at the tomb entryway for any sign of trouble below. He gave her an encouraging wave.


Tonks looked skyward again. She stopped and blinked. She looked back at Remus. A shiver ran down Tonks’ spine. He, too, was looking up at the ghost like phoenix circling them from above.



++++++



“EXPECTO PATRONUM!”


Ginny adjusted her stance to keep her balance. Her breath was caught in her throat and she felt the power flood her wand. The walls vibrated, the floor rumbled and the magic swelled. As the Patronuses burst forth, the shield separating them from Merlin rippled.


Harry’s stag charged the waves, its antlers pointed straight ahead. Bill’s White Tailed Eagle sailed, its wingspan carrying it into the pulsating ancient magic. Anna’s tiger bounded after Ginny’s unicorn, a predator chasing its magical prey. The shield wavered, flashing light and force, sending waves of energy into the passageway. Ginny’s knees buckled and she stumbled backward. Her hand shot out against the wall of the passage. She hissed as her fingers touched burning soil. She fisted her blistering fingers and drew her hand to her middle.


“AGAIN!” Bill shouted. “You three first.”


”EXPECTO PATRONUM!”


The shield flashed, lighting up the passageway as if it were midday. Ginny shielded her eyes against the glare and saw a dark hole forming in the center of the light radiating out in concentric waves.


Bill aimed his wand at the hole and roared. ”EXPECTO PATRONUM!”


The Eagle flew forward once more. Head down, wings spread, he barreled into the gap in the magic. As he flew through the blackness, he became suspended in time, his head thrown back, his beak opened in a silent scream, his smoky white eyes closing tight. Vivid pink electric light imprisoned the Patronus, wrapping around its ghostly body like barbed wire rope.


Fascinated, Ginny watched in stillness as Bill’s Eagle struggled to flap its powerful wings. It pushed downward against an invisible force, slowly as if it were trying to fly through sand. Ginny felt her head nod up then down with the movement of the wings “ once, twice, three times. The fourth time, the Eagle pushed, moving forward into the chamber with Merlin’s bones. The shield’s magic thinned, forming two streams of hot pink light. One string shot to the circlet, the stones soaking up the energy. The second string was carried by the Eagle as it flew, slowly but strongly, around the chamber, through the hole and back to Bill. The Eagle bowed his head to Bill and dove into the tip of wand. The pink light hissed and spit as it began to entwine itself around Bill’s wand, much as it did around his Patronus.


“NOW!” Bill bellowed.


Nathan stepped forward and aimed his wand. “DIOTHAIGH LOMHARAI”


White light shot forth, barreling through the opening in the shield. Involuntarily, Ginny slammed her hands over her ears and screamed as an intense ringing pummeled her eardrums. As soon as it started, the ringing stopped. For a brief second, Ginny saw a hole where a stone had been in the top of the circlet. The tendrils of magic that had been connected to the stones were shriveling back, throwing its magic into the remaining pink electric string, causing it to move erratically. The pink became deeper, richer and judging by the sparks flying, more dangerous.


”ACCIO CIRCLET!”


Dust flew, creating an exhaust trail as the circlet sailed cleanly through the opening in the shield. Harry glanced at Bill. Bill’s chest was heaving with exertion and sweat was flowing freely down his face and neck soaking his shirtfront. Harry could see veins throbbing along his arms as both hands shook slightly, fighting to keep his wand in place.


“Harry!” Nathan shouted. “Here! Throw these back! But don’t get too close!”


Harry fell to his knees and grabbed at the stones Nathan was removing from the circlet. One by one, Harry flung them back into the shield, scrambling after the ones that didn’t make it.


“Last one!” Nathan said, heaving it through the hole himself. “BILL!”


With every bit of effort he had left, Bill directed his wand at one of the stones closest to him. ”EXONERO!” There was a distinct ‘Pop!’ and a space of blackness at the end of Bill’s wand. Bill ducked, shielding his head as sparks flew, the wild pink rope flinging magic into the air as it struggled to find another hold. It jerked, straightened, then in one fluid motion, was sucked into the stone. The stone glowed pink.


Tendrils of magic slid among the dust on the floor, finding the web of stones that were now strewn across it. Harry placed his arms around Ginny for protection as they all watched the fourteen stones reconnect. He pulled Ginny against him, her back to his chest and held his breath. He felt her jump as the web of stones flashed once, painting the passageway magenta. The shield buzzed, complete and in place once more. Bill collapsed. And all was quiet.


Not realizing he had been holding his breath, Harry exhaled.


“How are you?” Anna asked, kneeling down beside Bill who was leaning against the cooling walls.


“I’ll be okay,” Bill choked. “Give me a minute.”


“Here, drink this,” Nathan said, handing a flask to Bill.


“Thanks,” Bill nodded, tipping the water to his lips. “How’s it look?” he rasped.


Nathan held up the circlet. “Like it’s old, dirty and missing a few stones. Kind of like you.”


Bill grinned weakly.


“Then it’s perfect,” Anna smiled. “How are you two?” she asked Harry and Ginny.


“Good,” Harry replied hoarsely.


“Yeah,” Ginny nodded a little dazed.


“Why don’t you take Harry and Ginny and the circlet?” Nathan suggested. “I can get Bill and follow.”


“You sure?” Anna asked. Nathan nodded. “Alright, then. Harry, Ginny, you’re with me. Let’s get this circlet out of here and do some checking for any other types of enhancements Nimue may have put on it.”


Harry slung a pack over his shoulder and reached for Ginny’s hand. Together, they fell into step behind Anna and followed her up the passageway. They had been walking for about twenty minutes when a tremor knocked Anna off balance backward into Ginny. “Crap! Sorry, Ginny.”


“What was that?” Ginny asked, helping Anna to straighten up.


“I don’t know,” she replied, looking around.


The smell of sulfur wafted toward them. Dirt showered down from cracks beginning to form in the tunnel ceiling.


“Earthquake?” Ginny asked, looking up.


“No, I don’t think so. The movement was from up above, not down below,” Anna mused.


Another vibration rattled the tunnel, causing the troupe to stumble. The passageway was filled with the sound of discarded old iron colliding with stone, dirt and human being.


Harry, Ginny, and Anna turned, wands aimed at the flickering glow. Ginny widened her eyes in hopes of being able to see better in the dark. She felt her heart in her throat and Harry’s hand grasp her forearm, pulling her to his side.


“Dammit! Bill! You there?”


“Tonks?” Anna croaked, her mouth full of polluted air. She swallowed, and then tried again. “Tonks?”


“Anna!” Tonks stumbled into the glow of the light discs on the floor. “Quick! Dumbledore says we aren’t safe here anymore.”


“What do you mean?” Harry asked suspiciously.


“He sent a Patronus,” Tonks barked. “We’re not safe. We need to go. Now! Where are Bill and Nathan?”


“Back there. Bill can’t walk well. Nathan’s helping him.”


“Right then,” Tonks nodded. “I go find them and tell them to hurry it on up, use an elevation charm to get Bill going quicker. I’ll meet you up top.”


Tonks ran down the passageway, shouting over her shoulder. “I left Remus guarding the entryway. Wands at the ready. I have a feeling the vibrations aren’t natural.”


“Aren’t natural?” Ginny asked.


“Come on, you two, let’s hurry,” Anna said, breaking into a run. The air became fresher, the dirt floor giving way to stone.


Anna stopped underneath the tomb entryway and shouted. “Remus!”


There was no reply. That’s not good. Anna thought.


“What’s not good?” Harry asked from behind.


Anna winced. “Remus isn’t up there. Come on, Ginny, you first.”


Harry wove his fingers together. “Foot up, Gin?”


“Thanks,” Ginny grinned, stepping into Harry’s hand.


Ginny stretched as Harry lifted, her outstretched fingers reaching for the sides of the tomb entryway. Her nails scraped stone and dirt as another flash of light filled the forest clearing sending tremors throughout the tomb. Harry stumbled, his knees buckling. Ginny flailed, trying to regain her balance and failing, plummeting back to the stone floor of the entryway.


“Crap! They’re breaking down the wards!” Anna exclaimed.


“Go! We have to get out of here. We can’t Disapparate from in here, otherwise Merlin would have.”


Harry pulled Ginny up off the floor and wove his hands together for another boost. She scrambled out of the hole.


“Anna?” Harry asked, motioning with his hands.


“Thanks,” Anna said, handing the circlet up to Ginny who held her hand down. Anna scrambled up and turned around. “Okay, Harry, here you go.”


Anna and Ginny grasped a hold of Harry’s hands and pulled. Harry’s legs dangled in mid air for a moment, dirt scraping his face and chest, until he was able to position his elbows on the outside edge of the hole and heave himself up.


Another tremor sent the dirt sliding down the sides of the hole and into the tomb. Anna glanced worriedly over the edge.


“Make a run for the tents,” she said. “They are charmed with a certain amount of protection - enough, for us to gather our wits.”


Anna bent to retrieve the circlet. A solid blast hit her square in the chest, throwing her backward. Anna flailed, the circlet flying from her hand as she stumbled and fell with a thud on her backside. Anna pushed up and counted three hooded figures scurrying to find cover - but no Lupin.


ATTONARE!” Ginny yelled, aiming the stunning spell at the closest hooded figure.


With a cackle, the figure dodged and fired back. The bludgeoning spell caught Ginny on the shoulder, twirling her around, slamming her into one of the stone monuments. She winced as she pushed herself up, tears forming at the corner of her eyes, her bruised muscles shifting under her skin.


“Ginny!” Harry yelled.


“REDUCTO!” the figure bellowed.


”Protego!” Ginny cried, reflecting the blasting spell and ducking behind the stone monuments opposite the tomb’s entryway.


Harry flattened himself against one of the Muggle monoliths. He threw his arm around the side and targeted the fallen log where one of the figures had hidden.


Abflamen!” Harry cast, the blasting spell shooting a deep crimson stream from his wand tip to the downed log. Sawdust and splinters filled the air, mixing with the scream of frustration of the Death Eater who fired back a pummeling hex. Harry stepped to the side to cast a shield charm, easily deflecting the hex. His foot hit something solid yet soft. Harry glanced down. Remus Lupin lay face down on the forest floor.


His mind stunned, Harry didn’t see the wand pointed at his back. He flew forward, his feet dragging over Lupin’s body, pulling him down, slamming him into the earth. Harry groaned, tasting blood and rolled over, struggling to his knees. He blinked, his mind trying to process what his eyes were seeing. He swallowed hard as his heart plummeted. Harry reached out, his hand shaking to feel for a pulse. He pressed on the side of Lupin’s neck, searching. He felt the sweat forming on his forehead as his fingers found it, weak but there. Harry’s breathing was ragged from relief as his fear turned into boiling rage.


Harry whipped around to face the clearing and saw the Death Eater who had been behind the tree trunk moving toward the trees. Harry aimed his wand and roared, ”CONICO!”


The hurling charm picked up the man as if he were a dry leaf and tossed him into the trees, his body slamming between trunks as it fell to the ground. His hood came off in the process. Harry recognized the face of Goyle, Sr.


“Cover me!” Anna shouted to Ginny as she scrambled toward where the circlet rested, under the Hawthorne Bush she had so carefully placed out of harms way.


Light flashed behind Anna as she ran. Falling to her knees, she skidded, reaching out to grab the prize. She didn’t hear the stunning spell but she certainly felt it.


”Exanimare!” the chilling voice hissed from the darkness beyond the bush.


Anna hit the dirt with such force she was pretty sure she had made an indent. She gasped as her lower abdomen cramped. Wincing against the pain, Anna swallowed the bile rising in her throat. How dare anyone harm her baby! Anna wrapped her free hand protectively over her stomach and regained her footing, her eyes blazing a level of hatred she didn’t even know she possessed.


“I see you’ve been busy since our last encounter, joke shop girl,” Bellatrix Lestrange mocked Anna from the murkiness of the forest.


“You remember me,” Anna hissed. “Good. I want you to.”


“What is it you want from over here?” Bellatrix taunted, circling the bush. “Something valuable from that tomb? Something old and full of magic that might do harm to the Dark Lord? I think NOT! CRUICO!


Anna spun out of the way, the Unforgivable scorching the earth where she had stood. Bellatrix screeched in anger.


” Abico converto!” Anna growled, the blasting charm hitting Bellatrix square in the chest.


The witch howled as she flew backward into a mess of underbrush. Her breathing guttural, filled with the instinct of a mother protecting her young, Anna pursued Bellatrix into the woods. Anna aimed her wand at the witch who was trying to get up.


“Aculeatus Vena!” Anna hissed. She watched in satisfaction as Bellatrix writhed in agony amidst the groundcover, the blood stinging hex burning her from the inside out. Bellatrix stiffened and then stilled.


“I just hope that’s poisonous,” Anna muttered, kicking the brown and green leaves on the ground. Stooping down, Anna reached under the Hawthorne bush, her fingers curling through the holes of the circlet and holding fast.


+++++


“Give it up, girl,” Crabbe, Sr.’s thick voice shouted.


Ginny ducked behind Merlin’s stone as Crabbe cast a cutting hex at her.


”Stupefy!” Ginny shouted, aiming around the stone.


“If that is all you have, I will tell the Dark Lord he has nothing to worry about,” Crabbe taunted.


A bludgeoning spell hit Merlin’s stone sending chunks of stone into the air. Ginny felt the grit between her teeth as she clenched her jaw. Her nostrils flared as did her temper. She narrowed her eyes and peered around the edge of the monolith. A small smile played at the corners of her lips as she saw Crabbe trying to hide his oafish form behind a burial mound.


“You talk too much,” Ginny growled. ”Exanimo!”


Ginny hand shook slightly as she kept her wand directed at the Death Eater. Her stomach rolled in disgust as she watched Crabbe scratch at his throat in an effort to open his air passage. Crabbe’s fingernails raked his skin, drawing lines of blood as his eyes slowly rolled back into his head. With a thud, Crabbe’s body fell to the ground unconscious.


++++


Harry’s shield held as Marcus Flint sent a stream of sparks his direction. Dodging behind a tree, Harry released his shield and aimed his wand at Flint’s chest and growled. “Callum Consectio.”


Flint spun, but not fast enough. He screamed as the cutting spell ripped into his shoulder, exposing flesh and bone. He slammed his hand over his wound, blood oozing between his fingers. He aimed his wand wildly, sending a bludgeoning spell into the clearing. He tried again.


Harry dodged, shielding himself behind a tree.


“Extundo!” Harry shouted, a stream of red exploding from the end of his wand sending him stumbling backward.


The Death Eater threw up his good arm in front of his face to avoid the pummeling curse, his wand falling from his hand as he crashed to the forest floor.


”Accio Wand!” Harry called, the wand flying into his outstretched palm.


Flint looked up, stunned at the realization he was weaponless against Harry.


”Stupefy!”


Red sparks shot out of Harry’s wand. Flint fell back, his slack face had an expression of almost gratefulness. Better knocked out than having to witness his own humiliation, Harry thought.


Harry took inventory of the clearing. Four Death Eaters down. Three good guys still standing. He ran over to Ginny, swiping at the blood on his chin from his split lip. “We have to go help the others.”


“We can’t,” Ginny shook her head, her hand grasping her shoulder.


“Why not?” Harry asked.


“The tomb,” Anna said quietly, her wand pointing over the edge of the hole. “It’s been sealed again.”


Harry looked over to where the stone that covered the entryway to the tomb had been. The groundcover was mashed, but there was no stone. He ran to the hole. The cover was in place again.


“We can open it,” Harry said. “I’ll get the shovels. You know the charm ““


”No, Harry,” Anna said, “it’s been sealed from the inside. See the purple light around the edge? That kind of charm can only be opened from the inside.”


Harry blinked at Anna stunned. “We- we can’t just stand here!” he shouted. “They need our help!”


Anna’s face was pale, her eyes filled with worry, but her voice was firm with determination. “We can help, but up here. When they come out, we will be ready to go.”


“You mean pack up?” Harry asked incredulously.


“Yes, Harry, I mean pack,” Anna said, her voice rising.


“Anna, who sealed the tomb from the inside?” Ginny asked.


Anna drew a ragged breath. “I can only assume it was Lucius Malfoy, judging by who was up here. This was personal. Lucius has come for payback. Come on, we have tents to pack up.”


Anna turned away from the hole, her shoulders rigid and straight and walked purposefully toward the tents. Harry felt Ginny take his hand. He looked down at her, a feeling of guilt washing over him as he realized how grateful he was she was not separated from him in the tomb.


As if she knew what he was thinking, Ginny gave his hand a squeeze and tugged. Reluctantly, Harry nodded and they followed Anna.


++++++


One arm around Nathan’s shoulders, Bill looked up and sniffed.


“What?” Nathan asked.


“The tomb has been closed,” Bill said, his voice gravelly.


“How can you tell?” Tonks asked from behind.


“The air changed. It should be getting fresher, cooler,” Bill swallowed. “It’s stopped flowing. It’s stagnant.”


Tonks grabbed the hem of Nathan’s jumper and pulled. “Hide,” she whispered firmly.


In the fading light of the illumination discs, Nathan nodded and side stepped into the nearest alcove. Bill shuffled alongside, trying his best to keep his exhausted feet from banging into a piece of Merlin’s old junk.


“I’m really sorry, Nathan,” Bill apologized, as Nathan helped him sit down in between a few stacks of mismatched iron pots and glass bottles. “I didn’t know that damn Entrapment Charm would take this much out of me.”


“Not the time to worry about it Bill,” Nathan said, peering into the darkness. “Entrapment Charms are some of the strongest magic out there. They have to be. To be honest, I’m a little surprised you’re still coherent.”


“Thanks,” Bill grinned weakly.


“No problem,” Nathan said. “You stay here. I’m going to go see what Tonks needs.”


“I’m not moving anytime soon,” Bill replied as Nathan flattened himself against the wall of the passageway.


Nathan encountered Tonks two alcoves down. She was leaning toward the entryway of the tomb, listening intently. She waved Nathan into the alcove opposite her and held her finger to her mouth to indicate silence. Nathan watched as Tonks flicked her wand at the dirt floor and whispered, “Permotio.”


Strands of yellow light rippled from her wand onto the ground and then into the ground. Nathan saw the dirt, displaced in little rivers as the charm snaked its way up the passageway then stop. The bumps in the dirt became straight and still. Nathan held his breath and watched as slowly, the dirt moved, slightly at first, a jump barely visible in the dimming light. The dirt lines jerked “ then jerked again. Nathan looked up at Tonks, his eyes wide and questioning.


Tonks mouthed, “Three meters,” and pointed up the passageway.


Nathan aimed his wand and nodded. Tonks pressed herself against the wall and motioned for him to stay put. Nathan shook his head. Tonks shot him a look that could only be read as, “I’m an Auror, you idiot,” and started silently slinking down the passageway.


Feeling somewhat helpless standing in the almost dark with his wand pointed at nothing, Nathan strained to hear what Tonk’s motion detector spell had shown. There were others down here “ others who, judging by the fact they had closed the tomb, didn’t want them getting out of here. Nathan felt a chill run down his spine. His eyes burned into the darkness, his mind registering a darker shape against lighter walls. In the blackness, it looked like slow motion. He made out Tonks aiming her wand at a shadow and the silence was finally broken.


“ Abico converto!” she growled.


”Protego!” A harsh voice barked, the shield deflecting the blasting charm.


Nathan waited for the shield to disappear and leveled his wand. As the pummeling charm hit the Death Eater square in the chest, the man flew into the passageway wall hard enough to displace dirt. With a solid thud, the man fell to the ground in a slump.


Nathan stepped up to him. “Lumos.” Nathan leaned down. “Who is that?” he asked.


“Rabastan Lestrange,” Tonks replied softly, “and I’m pretty sure he’s not alone.”


“Lestrange,” Nathan repeated. The family tree quickly fell into place and all rational thought left his mind, pushed out by a primal urge for revenge. A part of him knew he was loosing touch with restraint, but Nathan didn’t care anymore. He had had enough. It was time to end this.


“I know who’s with him,” Nathan said distastefully, “and he’s mine.”


“Nathan,” Tonks hissed, grabbing the elbow of his jumper, “don’t do anything stupid.”


“Ridding the world of that man is not stupid,” Nathan said coldly, “it’s necessary.”


“Fine,” Tonks said, “but you’re not doing it alone.”


“Fine,” Nathan echoed. “There are two other passageways off the entry.”


“I’ll take one, you take the other and let’s hope there aren’t many more of them,” Tonks said evenly.


Nathan nodded and turned, his wand ready. Five minutes later, they entered the entryway. Nathan shook with anger as he looked up at the tomb entrance, the round stone sealing him off from Anna “ if she was still alive “ NO! he shouted in his mind as he crushed the thought. She was not dead. He would feel that. He just knew it. And he was not going to die in here, not tonight. He felt a tug on his shoulder and looked down. Tonks pointed to the left. Nathan blinked, struggling to regain focus. Tonks looked at him questioningly. He inhaled and almost coughed on the stale, dead air. He nodded.


+++++



Bill leaned the back of his head against the wall, closed his eyes and listened. He cursed himself inwardly for his lack of foresight. Yeah, but would you have done anything differently? his mind poked. Bill sighed and opened his eyes, blinking into the gloom. The illuminating discs were flickering as they neared the end of their eight hour lifespan. A few meters away Bill heard a ‘pop’ and wrinkled his nose in anticipation of the smell. He waited. No smell came.


Bill’s pulse quickened. He exhaled, slowly, the sweat on his back cooling. He shivered. It wasn’t an animal. He knew that. Nothing could live in a tomb sealed with this kind of magic for long. Nothing with a living, beating heart.


Bill heard a crunch “ shoe leather on gravel. Bill fisted his hand around his wand. Clenching his jaw, Bill slowly moved his arm across his chest, aiming his wand into the passageway. He froze as Narcissa Malfoy’s voice filled the void.


“You are mine.”


Bill felt a drop of sweat roll down the end of his nose and drop to the soil beside his leg.


”CRUICO!”


Bill threw himself to his side, the Unforgivable curse blasting a crater in the soil where he had just been. His heart pounding, Bill inhaled sharply and concentrated every bit of energy he could muster on the first spell that came to mind.


“Attonare!”



Narcissa shrieked. Bill collapsed against the wall, his chest caving with each breath. He shook his head, fighting against the black numbness forming in his brain. Bill rolled over onto his knees, tiny pricks of sensation flooding his body. He put his free hand out to steady himself. His fingers curled around something cold, hard and very solid.


“You will not win this,” Narcissa hissed.


Bill gritted his teeth and pushed, reaching past his weakness to his sheer will to live. Slowly, silently, he unfolded himself until he was standing in the alcove.


“I will find you,” Narcissa vowed.


“Good,” Bill croaked.


Centimeters from where he stood, Narcissa whirled around, her lips curled in a triumphant snarl, her wand ready. Her eyes widened as Bill raised his arm and fell, his body weight carrying him forward, the rock in his left hand aimed at her temple, the wand in his right, for her eye.


+++++

To be continued...
The Tomb Part II by kjpzak
Nathan closed his eyes and focused on the blood flowing in his veins. It was furious, racing through his heart searching for an end. This place reminded him of Azkaban, with its dark tunnels leading into insanity. Years ago, Nathan had fought to forget what was now creeping back. Nathan pushed the memories away and watched his blood. He struggled to slow it, concentrating on clearing his head of all thoughts, including Lucius Malfoy. Nathan opened his eyes, still feeling a little off center. Maybe a good thing, he mused, as he turned down the passageway to the right, all set to play this game of cat and mouse. He exhaled through his nose, the air cooling the sweat forming on his upper lip. The darkness swallowed him whole. There were no illumination discs to light his way down this tunnel. He felt like he was walking in the middle of nothingness, his mind struggling to comprehend how his feet crunched earth or his fingers touched rough wall that could not be seen.


The blackness stole his sense of time. Nathan stopped. He had no idea how long or how far he’d been tracking Lucius. He had no idea if Lucius was even down this way. Nathan licked the corner of his mouth and tasted sweat. He swallowed, wondering if it was as loud outside his body as it seemed inside. Nathan held his breath.


Pebble? Rat? Depends on your definition of a rat.


There was no sound or warning of the spell, only the disturbance in the still air. The flash of light blinded Nathan as a force threw him against the wall. Bruised pain radiated from his spine as he scrambled up and aimed his wand. His eyes strained to see into the darkness but could see nothing. Two can play at this. Without a word, Nathan flicked his wand, a flash of blue emitting from the end.


The blasting curse smashed into the wall, illuminating the passageway for a split second. A flash of robe, the sound of displaced air. Nathan raised his wand and shielded himself as he dove across the passage. Green sparks shot out of the darkness, hitting the wall above Nathan’s head.


Nathan heard Lucius growl with frustration.


Trying to see where Malfoy hid was pointless so Nathan aimed at the sound. “Reducto,” he said quietly.


Nathan heard Lucius scramble, his shoes slipping on the gravel as he whirled away.


”Relashio!”


Nathan covered his head with his arms as a tidal wave of flames flooded the space. Light and heat washed over him, singeing the hairs on his arms and neck. Nathan swallowed hot air as he sought to rob the flames of what little oxygen there was in the tunnel.


Blackness replaced red and Nathan looked up. “Malfoy,” Nathan growled. “You aren’t going to win this one.”


An inhumane cackle reached Nathan’s ears. “To lose would mean death,” Malfoy sneered, “and I don’t think you have that in you, Borgin.”


“You might be surprised what I have in me, Lucius,” Nathan replied evenly, standing up, wincing as the movement pulled his tight, burned skin.


“You will never surprise me, Borgin. CRUICO!


Nathan dove out of the way, the Unforgivable curse smashing into the dirt. Nathan pointed his wand. ”Contundo!”


Lucius screamed, throwing his arms above his head to protect himself from the bludgeoning spell. Nathan heard his feet slide, the dirt and rocks scraping as he regained his footing and disappeared further down the passageway, spells blasting from his wand.


Nathan pursued, unable to see, relying on his ears to tell him where to aim. His foot hit something solid and unmovable. Lucius aimed at the sound. Nathan felt the force of a sledgehammer hit in the chest and pin him against the wall. He cried out as something cracked. He slid down, his jumper catching on the wall, dirt and rock scraping his back. His feet met ground and he stumbled forward, tripping. Nathan threw out his hands and caught himself on cold hard metal. It felt like armor “ a helmet, maybe.


Suddenly light blinded him as pain erupted in his temple. Nathan flailed backward, into the pile of discarded war paraphernalia. His head throbbing, Nathan threw up a magical shield to avoid the deluge of artifacts Lucius was pummeling him with.


Then it stopped. There was a light in the tunnel from a wand. Nathan pushed himself to his feet. Lucius stood, not more than a meter away, the glow from his wand highlighting his insane snarl. Nathan aimed his wand as Lucius did the same. But instead of casting a spell, Lucius threw back his head and laughed as he touched the tip of his lit wand to the Dark Mark on his arm.


Fire erupted in Nathan’s veins, tearing through his body, eating him from the inside out. His mouth opened to scream but no sound came out. A smell of burnt flesh began to fill the cavern as Nathan’s eyes rolled back in his head. Ragged bits of metal ripped through his clothes and into his skin as he fell into the pile, the iron groaning as it shifted to accommodate his weight.


Nathan tried, but he couldn’t seem to open his eyelids. They felt melted to his eyeballs. He panted against the pain, and realized it didn’t really matter if his eyes were open or shut. He couldn’t see anything anyway. Nathan cried out as he shifted his weight to his shoulder, exposing his wand hand. He focused, pushing past the excruciating burning in his veins and lifted his wand. His voice was inaudible as he rasped.


“Extundo.”


Nathan screamed, his body arching stiffly as the fire within his veins flooded out, sucked through the tip of his wand by the vacuum of hatred his barely audible spell carried. Nathan’s body fell, as the pummeling charm encompassed anything moveable in the near vicinity.


Nathan didn’t know if Malfoy even screamed. He was too consumed with the sudden intense chill of ice, freezing him where fire had burned. He felt his mind slipping away again as the shock of coldness, more bitter than anything he had ever known, enveloped him. Nathan felt his chest heave, his breath coming in short, panting gasps. His stomach rolled and he dry heaved over the dirt floor. He lay, twisted and broken among the debris and realized he was blissfully numb.


+++++


“Nathan? Nathan!”


Nathan gasped, his eyes flying open, his hand reaching to grab a hold of Lucius’s neck.


“Nathan “ it’s me, Tonks,” Tonks gasped, as she scraped at Nathan’s fingers on her throat.


Nathan released his grasp and coughed, the vibrations sending bolts of agony through his body. Rubbing her throat with her free hand, Tonks relit her wand and held it up to her face.


“Sorry,” he croaked. “Malfoy ““


“Malfoy’s dead,” Tonks said flatly.


“Wha ““


“Skewered,” Tonks said, wrinkling her nose. “Fell on a sword. Not sure how you did it, at that angle and all, but he’s not coming back any time soon.”


“Junk pile,” Nathan rasped, wincing. “Threw - it at him. Did you ““


“Yeah, Rodolphus Lestrange down the other passageway.”


“Bill?” Nathan croaked.


“He’s alright, but let’s just say Narcissa Malfoy won’t be looking at things in quite the same way again. Look, I don’t think you can walk and I don’t really think you want to feel any of this, so I’m going apologize now and you can hate me later, alright?”


Nathan blinked in confusion as Tonks straightened up and pointed her wand at him.


“Your wife taught me this one,” she smiled. “Soporifer.”


Nathan’s eye lids closed as he slipped under the spell of sleep.


+++++


A/N “ Poor Lucius, eh?


One of the bonuses of writing shorter stories is that you don’t run out of ways to thank people. By chapter 29, I’ve long since given up finding original ways to thank the people who helped pull this together.

Thanks wvchemteach for polishing up those battle scenes.

Thanks to Anya for catching all those little things like people trying to get out of the tomb when they’re already out of the tomb. Details, details!

To Bogus 7 “ I can’t imagine how many of these tales you read! Thanks for taking time to do mine.


Alrighty “ off to the grandparents. I may be slow replying to the reviews but please know, I will get to them. I appreciate them all!

Thanks and Happy Turkey Day! See you in December!
Sero Compago by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own or profit monetarily from Harry Potter.



Sero Compago




Anna stood at the window of Nathan’s room, watching the Muggles on the sidewalk below. Part of her wanted to throw the shutter up, lean out and holler at them, to at least to say, “Good morning,” but she knew they wouldn’t be able to see her. Despite that, having seen them day after day for the past week, traveling to and fro on the sidewalk in front of number twelve, Grimmauld Place, she felt rather rude not waving a greeting. Anna sighed and winced, as she absent mindedly rubbed a rounded angle poking out of her stomach. As if I could forget you, she thought lovingly.


Her baby was fine. Anna had cried in relief and hugged Madam Pomfrey who had checked her out when they had returned to London. Madam Pomfrey had treated Harry and Ginny and released them to enjoy the remainder of their holidays at Grimmauld Place. Remus and Bill had been diagnosed with spell damage and exhaustion. They were ordered to bed for overnight observation and then to ease back into normal activity gradually, leaving only Nathan under the Hogwarts nurse’s care.


Getting home from the forest had been surprisingly easy. Tonks had turned a hairbrush and a tube of tooth polish into Portkeys, landing them right outside number twelve. Tonks had remained behind, and as far as Anna knew, summoned help to take care of the Death Eaters they had subdued. Anna knew most of them had been taken to Azkaban. She did not know, nor did she care, what had happened to Lucius’ body. She rather hoped he had been forgotten, left to rot in the resealed tomb.


Tonks had told her Narcissa Malfoy was in St. Mungos, guarded heavily. Dumbledore had personally paid a visit to Minister Blevins. A wise man, Milton Blevins had immediately understood Dumbledore’s reasoning behind the names suggested for guard duty. He also knew Dumbledore’s name carried an inherit trust within the wizarding public and - should he need to - being able to say he had worked with Albus Dumbledore would go a long way in keeping things under control.


Anna turned from the window as the door to Nathan’s room opened. She smiled at Tonks who peeked around the edge of the door.


“Hello, Tonks,” Anna smiled. “Come in.”


“Wotcher, Anna,” Tonks greeted quietly. “How’s Nathan doing?”


“He’s getting better,” Anna answered, crossing the room and sitting down on the edge of his bed. She motioned for Tonks to sit in the chair opposite. “How are things at St. Mungos?”


“Fine,” Tonks shrugged. “Being a member of the guard is a necessary and important honor,” she said, in an even voice, before leaning forward, “and, to be honest, rather boring. I’ll be glad when she’s in Azkaban, for several reasons.”


“How is she?” Anna asked quietly.


“Healing,” Tonks replied. “Once she’s well enough, she’ll stand trial, but that won’t be for a while.”


“Can’t you just throw her in Azkaban like she is?” Anna asked, rubbing the bridge of her nose in frustration. “And what about Lucius?”


“I believe The Daily Prophet reported today that Lucius Malfoy and his wife had been enjoying their holidays when they became the unfortunate victims of a terrible accident. His body has been given to his family to dispose of,” Tonks looked apologetically at Anna. “We’ve had to be a little bit careful with the press since we weren’t exactly supposed to be doing what we were doing in the first place. Not to mention, the fewer people who know what we were really doing, the better.


“The French Ministry isn’t too pleased with us at the moment because they’ve received some hassling from the French Muggle government over the whole destruction of a historical site thing. So, playing it up as a misguided personal holiday excursion takes some of the heat off both the French and the British Ministry. And while Minister Blevins agrees with you, we can’t just throw Narcissa in jail for falling into a tomb without risking great public unrest. Unfortunately, the Malfoy name still carries enough clout in certain circles to warrant a trial.”


Anna sighed. Without looking, she reached her hand out to Nathan and covered his still hand with her own.


Tonks cleared her throat. “What did Madam Pomfrey say about Nathan?”


“He’s a handsome bloke,” a croaky voice said from the bed.


Tonks snorted. “I didn’t know you were conscious.”


“In and out,” Nathan rasped.


Anna smiled at her husband, standing up and leaning over to place a kiss on the top of his head.


“How are you feeling?” Anna asked, holding a glass of water to his lips.


Feeling as if she was intruding, Tonks pushed her chair back and stood. “I’ll just get going,” she said, smiling as she watched Nathan touch Anna’s stomach. “I’ll check in tomorrow.”


“Thank you, Tonks,” Anna said,


“Anytime,” Tonks smiled.


+++++


Bill stood in the door of the sitting room. Harry and Ginny turned from their game of Exploding Snap to meet his gaze. Bill opened his mouth and closed it again. He pointed in the direction of the kitchen and cleared his throat. “It’s time,” Bill said, absently rubbing his side which still ached.


“Time?” Harry asked.


“Order meeting. Dumbledore just arrived.”


“Ah,” Harry said, a lump of unease forming in his stomach.


“Well, at least we won’t be getting Howlers at school,” Ginny observed, standing up.


“Or work,” Bill agreed. “The goblins hate it when I get a Howler from mum at work.”


Harry felt the rumblings of laughter begin to creep up his throat as he pictured the goblins having to witness a Molly Weasley Howler. He had a feeling the goblins hated them because it was probably one of the few things that could intimidate even them.

“Of course,” Bill continued, his eyes taking on a far away look as he remembered, “there was that one “ Mum decided to bring over some muffins one morning and Fleur was - well, anyway, this Howler arrived right in the middle of my working on security in one of the deep vaults. The goblin overseeing the project wanted to know if Mum would be willing to be part of the alarm system,” Bill chuckled. “Mum didn’t think it was all that funny...”


“Harry? Ginny?” Albus Dumbledore said from behind Bill who stepped to the side. “Good evening, Bill.”


“Headmaster,” Bill said, holding out his hand.


“Still in one piece,” Dumbledore commented, his eyes twinkling at Bill over his spectacles.


“It’s going to take a little more than an old Entrapment Charm to do me in,” Bill grinned.


“I was referring to your mother,” Dumbledore winked before turning to Harry and Ginny. “Since the holidays are almost over, it is time to return to school. I am suggesting you two return with me tonight, unless you had other plans.”


“No, sir,” Harry shook his head.


“Sir, what about Professor Borgin?” Ginny asked.


“Professor Borgin’s health is improving, but he will be here for a few more days. He will return to Hogwarts as soon as he is able. Until then, I will try to live up to his standards and take over his classes,” he smiled, “which I know will be a challenge. Now, I believe the meeting is beginning. Shall we?” Dumbledore asked, turning and heading toward the kitchen.


“Sir? Who of the Order is here?” Harry asked.


Dumbledore paused. “Only trusted members.”


“Aren’t all members trusted?” Ginny asked, raising an eyebrow.


“Some, more than others,” Dumbledore replied seriously.


“Snape?” Harry asked.


“Professor Snape is not present this evening,” Dumbledore answered.


“Will he be told ““


“No,” Dumbledore interrupted. “He will not. He is no longer a member of the Order. Shall we?”


“He’s not?” Ginny said. “Why?”


Dumbledore sighed. “Severus is the reason Lucius knew where to find you.”


“How?” Harry asked.


“I’m afraid he used Legilimency on Ron,” Dumbledore answered.


“So he knows what we have,” Harry growled angrily. “He knows we went for the circlet!”


“No, I don’t believe Severus does,” Dumbledore replied. “He knows where you went, but I don’t believe he knows what you went for. Lucius Malfoy’s intent was only to harm Professor Borgin. I am assuming Lucius was rather surprised to find you and Ginny there,” he paused. “If he had, I believe Tom would have also been there. It would have been an ideal place for such an attack, after all.”


“Where is he now?” Harry asked coldly.


“I am not positive, but I believe Tom has summoned him to find out his part in this,” Dumbledore answered. “I’m afraid things will not end well for Severus.”


“What about his knowledge of the Order?” Ginny asked.


“Professor Snape has been kept out of Order business for a while now, Ginny. Any information he would be able to pass on at this point would be rather suspect in its truths.”


“Will he come back?”


“I do not know,” Dumbledore answered honestly. “For the remainder of the school year, his classes will be filled by other professors. Past that, there is little we can do. Or perhaps I should say, little we are going to do. Now, the meeting is about to begin, so shall we?” Dumbledore repeated.



“Yes, sir.” Harry held his hand out to Ginny. Weaving his fingers with hers, he followed the Headmaster into the kitchen.


++++++



The kitchen was hot, from bodies and tempers, but at last the shouting had been replaced with a silence just as charged. There were over a dozen pairs of eyes in the room but no one was looking at the two directly involved with the outlined task. Looking at them meant approval and no one in the room seemed to want to be the first one to give that.


“You’re sure?” Fred’s voice hesitantly asked, as he inspected the worn table.


“Yes. It’s good,” Dumbledore nodded.


“Yeah, that’s what you thought about ““


“George, sit down,” Bill waved a hand at his brother. “Look, we can’t change the past. This is what we’re doing.”


“They’re not asking for approval,” Moody growled to the room. “They’re asking for back up.”


“Yes, Alastor, we’re asking for your support,” Dumbledore said.


“When?” Kingsley Shacklebolt asked from the back of the room.


“We don’t know,” Bill answered. “Soon.”


“You want to draw him out,” Moody said.


“That would be ideal,” Bill nodded.


“We can help with that,” Moody nodded.


“Thank you,” Bill said solemnly to Moody.


“Don’t thank me,” Moody responded, “yet.”


“It is getting late,” Dumbledore observed. “Molly, Arthur, may I have a word?”


Bill sat down next to Harry and Ginny at the end of the table.


“That could have been worse,” he said quietly.


“I wish Professor Borgin could have been here,” Ginny said.


“I’m not so sure about that,” Bill shrugged. “We were able to gloss over certain points that he would have probably been badgered to answer, certain points that would make the whole process sound more life threatening than it has to.”


“We’re back to that ‘die a little bit’ business, aren’t we?” Ginny observed.


“Pretty much,” Bill said. “You two packed?”


Harry nodded. “Yep. All set.”


“Then happy travels and I will see you soon,” Bill said, leaning down and placing a kiss on the top of Ginny’s head. To Harry, he extended his hand. “Take good care of my sister.”


Harry grasped Bill’s hand. “Always.”


+++++



“Harry! Ginny! Wait up,” Anna called, from the stairs. “Albus, is it alright if I steal them for just a minute?”


Dumbledore nodded and returned to speaking with Kingsley Shacklebolt.


Anna descended the steps and waved Harry and Ginny to follow her into the sitting room. Lighting a fire in the fireplace, she perched on the edge of the chair opposite the sofa where Harry and Ginny sat.


“I’m going to skip the niceties because I know Professor Dumbledore wants to get you two back to Hogwarts as soon as possible,” Anna said. “Nathan was working on the spell to create your circlet before this all happened. You know the first part, where the stones are added to the circlet. What Nathan hadn’t had a chance to tell you because he hadn’t finished it yet was the second part.”


Anna took a breath and clasped her hands between her knees. Leaning forward, she smiled, her cheeks pink from the heat of the fire. “Each birthstone represents a person who is important to your life. Once that person adds his or her stone to the circlet, a ribbon is added to your bond. That ribbon holds not only the power of the birthstone, but the love each person gives you. In order for the circlet to work, those ribbons must be woven into your bond immediately following the ceremony.


“Now, your bond is made of ribbons you already had. Weaving them together was relatively easy because they were meant to be woven together. Weaving ribbons not originally part of you takes time, effort and, well, space, for lack of a better term.”


“Space?” Ginny asked.


“The last time Nathan woke up, he said that in order for you to be able to weave the ribbons properly, you two need to be someplace where you aren’t bothered by anyone. For any reason,” Anna answered, glancing at the door. “And I’m going to have to tell your mother that.”


“Tell my mother?” Ginny repeated, confused.


“That you and Harry need to go spend three days in a secluded spot with no visible chaperones,” Anna said dryly.


“Really?” Harry perked up.


“I said visible, Harry,” Anna replied, “not non-existent. You will have chaperones - just chaperones staying far enough away not to influence things.”


“I’m sorry, Anna,” Ginny shook her head, “but exactly what could chaperones influence?”


“It’s a bit hard to explain,” Anna admitted. “You know how even the best relationships come with strings attached, so to speak?”


Harry and Ginny nodded.


“Well, from what Nathan has told me, in order to make sure none of those strings get woven in with your bond, causing, uh, snags or knots “ and, honestly, I’m not speaking from experience here so I hope this makes sense “ you need to be able to focus solely on the love and power bestowed upon you in the circlet ceremony.”


“And not any day to day strings,” Ginny nodded.


Anna smiled relieved. “Right.”


“So, we’re having a three day secluded vacation with non-visible chaperones,” Harry summed up, a grin beginning to spread over his face.


“During which you’ll be studying for NEWTs and working on your bond,” Anna said with as much sternness as she could muster. “Right?”


“Right,” Ginny nodded, looking at Harry.


“You bet,” Harry grinned back.


Anna rolled her eyes. “I’ll let Nathan know you’re all set, then.”


“I hope he’s up again soon,” Ginny wished Anna, standing up.


“I do, too,” Anna replied, leaning over to give Ginny a quick hug. “Nathan doesn’t do bed rest well. But, better him than me,” she said ruefully, turning to hug Harry. Her eyes began to twinkle as she took in Harry’s still grinning face. “Now, I need to go catch Bill. I’m thinking he’ll make a wonderful chaperone, don’t you? Rumor has it Charlie might be coming back in town soon, too. Perhaps he’d like to chaperone, as well…maybe all the Weasley men would like to participate. Kind of make it a family thing…”


Anna’s voice trailed off into a giggle as Harry’s face fell.


+++++



Harry dumped his bag on top of his trunk and sat down on the edge of his bed. The dorm room was empty and he was fine with that. With a groan, Harry fell back and closed his eyes, the Order meeting continuing to run through his mind.


He kept seeing Molly Weasley, her face pale, her eyes wide with shock as the understanding sunk in. Bill was right. They might not have gone into as great a detail as they could have, but it had been enough. He rubbed the back of his hand where Ginny had squeezed as she watched her mum take it all in. Mrs. Weasley hadn’t yelled. Harry kind of wished she had. Then again, she hadn’t even asked a single question. She had listened, slowly leaning more and more into her husband, seeking strength.


Behind closed eyelids, Harry grinned, thinking of how Fred and George had just looked at her in surprise when the expected outburst didn’t come. Then they stared open mouthed at Harry and Ginny. Through her silence, Molly Weasley was admitting Ginny and Harry were growing up. Harry was pretty sure the twins had left Grimmauld Place trying to determine how it had happened - and if they could bottle it and sell it.


At the end, Molly had folded both of them into one of her trademark hugs before letting them go. Without thinking, Harry had leaned down and placed a kiss on her cheek, leaving Molly with a sad smile and more tears in her eyes.


Harry rolled over onto his stomach and smiled into his pillow. Then, there was the three days he was going to spend with Ginny…


The door to the dorm slammed open and bright light sliced through the dimness.


“Harry!” Ron’s voice shot through his reverie.


Harry groaned, his muscles rebelling as he rolled back over and pushed himself up on his elbows. “Hey, Ron.”


“Harry, I am so sorry, mate! I didn’t know how to shut my mind down. I didn’t mean for hi-“


“Ron, it’s alright,” Harry replied, fully sitting up on his bed.


“You know?” Ron stopped in surprise.


“Yeah, Dumbledore told us.” Harry nodded.


“I just didn’t know how to shut my mind off and then, this all happened -“


“Ron, don’t worry about it,” Harry assured him, falling back onto his pillow. “Snape is gone. We’re back ““


“Snape’s gone?” Ron repeated.


“Yeah, Snape’s gone.”


“Where?”


“Dumbledore thinks to Voldemort.”


“Really?” Ron exclaimed.


“Yeah,” Harry said, his voice muffled as he spoke into his pillow.


“For good?”


“Probably,” Harry yawned.


Ron’s face turned dark as he muttered, “Greasy git. I hope he finally gets what’s coming to him.”



+++++


Bill shifted his weight from his right foot to his left. He clasped his hands behind his back to keep from fidgeting. His eyes roamed the office, touching on the shelves filled with pristine bound books of parchment; the neatly organized desktop; and the nameplate identifying the goblin sitting in the chair as Evets, Head of Precious Stones, Metals and Other Treasure.


Evets looked up from his reading. Bill realized he was bouncing on his heels and stopped, flashing an apologetic smile. Evets returned to the requisition form Bill had handed him. Bill shifted his gaze to the only personal memento in the office, a photo of what he assumed was Evets’ mother. The resemblance was uncanny. Bill cocked his head to the side. Maybe it was his father?


“Why?”


“Pardon?” Bill asked, whipping his eyes around to meet the goblin’s skeptical stare.


“Why do you need the stones?”


Bill cleared his throat. “Chief Hexologist Borgin has requested them ““


“I can see that,” Evets snapped, tapping one of the signatures on the bottom of the page.


“We have discovered several new protection charms in tombs in Albania,” Bill replied convincingly. “They are dependent on stones such as these. We want to replicate them so we can form counter curses, per the handbook.”


Bill could have sworn Evets rolled his eyes, but he knew better. Goblins didn’t roll their eyes.


Bill jumped as Evets pounded the parchment with a stamp and pushed the paper back toward him.


“See Swelf.”


“Swelf? In Safe Boxes?” Bill repeated surprised.


“Yes,” Evets replied sourly. “Where else do you think we keep our semi-precious stones?”


“Well, uh, I…” Bill stammered, pointed lamely to the floor. “I’ll see Swelf.”


“Yes,” Evets said, returning his attention to his desktop and dismissing Bill, “you will.”


+++++




“Welcome back, Professor Borgin,” Ginny said from the doorway of Nathan’s office.


“Thank you, Ginny,” Nathan said, smiling and motioning her to come in. “Did I miss much?”


Ginny shook her head and plopped down in one of the brown leather chairs. Nathan looked tired, his skin pale and slack. His robes hung on his frame, missing the flesh to fill them out. Anna would take care of that in no time, she thought.


“Professor Dumbledore took over your classes while you were gone,” Ginny explained.


“A hard act to follow,” Nathan observed.


Ginny grinned and shrugged her shoulders. “He said the same about you.”


Nathan chuckled. “Can I help you with something?”


“Anna sent me to tell you she’s here.”


“Well, then,” Nathan said, pushing his chair back from his desk, “let’s go see our prize.”


Together, they made their way to the Room of Requirement. Ginny pushed the hidden door open and entered. The tables and blackboards were gone, replaced with one single round table, surrounded by several chairs. Harry, Ron, and Hermione were pulling out the chairs to sit down.


“Oh, good,” Anna said, “I was just about to unwrap it. Have a seat.”


Anna placed her satchel on the table and undid the buckles. Laying the flap back, she reached in and pulled out a linen wrapped bundle. Moving her bag to the floor, she carefully placed the bundle on the table and began to peel back the fabric. Anna gently lifted the circlet and placed it in the middle of the table for everyone to see. She had spent some time cleaning the years of grit and grime off the five centimeter wide plain, circular band. A dull sheen highlighted the braided metal running around the top and bottom. Matching braids surrounded each of the fourteen holes where stones should be.


“I expected it to be bigger,” Ron said into the reverent silence.


Hermione rolled her eyes. “Ron, this is a headpiece worn by a woman. How big did you expect it to be?”


“I don’t know, but something with that much magic in it, I just expected it to be bigger “ or shiner,” Ron shrugged.


Nathan chuckled. “It’s old, Ron,” he said, reaching out to study it. “It lost its shine a long time ago, but not its power.”


“The circlet is a mixture of metals, Ron,” Anna explained. “Pure gold would be too soft. It wouldn’t hold the magic. I’m not completely sure what all is in this one, but the fact that it isn’t pure is why it isn’t as dazzling as you might expect.”


“It’s so simple,” Ginny said softly. “It’s really beautiful.”


“Yes, it is,” Anna agreed.


“Does Bill have the stones?” Nathan asked.


“He was supposed to be getting them today,” Anna replied. “He’ll be bringing them this weekend.”


“This weekend is the Quidditch Cup,” Ron announced, sounding a little offended that anything else could happen on the same weekend.


“Don’t worry, Ron,” Nathan chuckled, “we won’t interfere with the match. However, having it on the same day makes the match a convenient excuse for the people we need to have here, be here.”


“It?” Ron asked.


“The creation of Harry and Ginny’s circlet,” Anna answered.


“You’ve decided who it’s going to be,” Hermione said excitedly.


“Yes, we have,” Ginny answered straight faced.


Hermione sat forward in her chair, looking from Ginny to Harry expectantly. Harry grinned at her and nodded but didn’t say anything. Hermione turned to Anna, her eyes hopeful. Anna smiled and started wrapping up the circlet again. Hermione swallowed, a small squeak emitting from between her lips as she looked at Nathan. Nathan shrugged.


“Oh, tell her something, will you?” Ron pleaded. “She’s going to explode if you don’t!”


Ginny laughed. “Hermione, just don’t make any plans for Saturday night. You’re busy.”



+++++



The post-match celebratory noise didn’t faze Ron one bit as he sat on the sofa in the common room, his arms tightly wrapped around the Quidditch Cup. He stared contentedly into the fire, an extremely pleased smile on his lips as his fingers stroked the silver.


“Get a room, Ron,” Seamus complained as he climbed over Ron’s outstretched legs.


“You should be thankful, Seamus,” Ron replied in an omnipresent voice. “If it wasn’t for my guidance, this cup would not be in my arms.”


“If you keep looking at it like that, the girl who’s normally in your arms is going to get jealous,” Seamus observed.


“Hermione understands these things.”


“I understand what things?” Hermione asked, perching on the sofa next to Ron.


“You understand how important it is to work hard in order to accomplish your dreams,” Ron said, running a finger lightly down the side of the cup.


Hermione rolled her eyes. “Ron, maybe you and the cup should find a broom cupboard somewhere.”


“See,” Seamus gestured, standing up.


“Ron, Hermione,” Joanna called, fighting her way through the celebration. “Are you ready?”


Hermione’s eyes widened in anticipation. “Of course. Are we to go now?”


Joanna nodded. “Harry and Ginny are already there. We just need you two. Professor Borgin said we should really get started. It might begin to look funny if we kept certain people here longer than necessary.”


“Certain people?” Hermione asked brightly, standing up.


“I don’t know any more than you do, Hermione,” Joanna shrugged. “Sorry.”


Hermione sighed. “Come on, Ron.”


Ron didn’t move.


“Ron, let’s go.”


Clamping his lips together, Ron’s arms tightened around the cup and he shook his head.


“Ron, I’m sure you two can be alone when we get back,” Hermione said, prying Ron’s fingers from the base.


“Maybe I can bring it with us?” Ron asked hopefully as Hermione removed the cup from his grasp and placed it on the table.


“Only if you want to use that instead of the circlet,” Hermione said, leaning down to whisper close to his ear. “If we did that, you’d never be able to see it again; never hold it; never feel its smooth, cool metal under your fingertips; never be able to whisper sweet nothings to its handles…”


Ron wrinkled his nose at Hermione. “I’m coming,” he grouched, following Hermione and Joanna, his eyes lingering on the cup as it was passed around the common room.


+++++



Standing next to Harry, her hand clasped in his, Ginny surveyed the Room of Requirement. She couldn’t recall a time when this many of her friends and family had all been assembled in the same room and it had been this quiet. The hushed tones spoke not only of the significance of the occasion, but also to the fact that no one really knew what their role was in this ceremony.


It had been Dumbledore’s suggestion they keep things hush-hush. After France, he wanted as little information as possible available to those who might use it for their own purposes. Ginny had to admit, it had been rather fun teasing Hermione for the past few days. The opportunities for knowing more than Hermione did on a topic she was interested in were rare, and Ginny knew it had driven Hermione batty. Seeing her enter the room with Ron and Joanna, Ginny uncurled her fingers from Harry’s and walked over to her.


“Your wait is finally over, Hermione,” Ginny greeted her with a wide smile.


“I haven’t been that bad,” Hermione replied slightly put out.


Ron raised his eyebrows at his girlfriend.


“Oh, fine,” Hermione conceded. “I just wanted to offer my help if I could.”


“And you will,” Ginny said, linking her arm with hers, “in more ways than you know.”


Dumbledore cleared his throat and clapped his hands once to get everyone’s attention. “Good evening. I believe we are all here now which means it is time to get started. Nathan?”


“Right,” Nathan said, stepping forward. Ginny smiled. She hadn’t been wrong about Anna’s care. Nathan looked almost back to his normal self. “If everyone would please form a circle around the pedestal there, we can begin.”


Everyone shuffled into place and looked expectantly at Nathan. “As you all now know, the creation of this circlet is for express purpose of entrapping Lord Voldemort’s essence.” Nathan paused as several sharp intakes of breath could be heard throughout the room. “The circlet itself is an object of love. The original stones used in it were chosen based on a selfish love for a very selfish purpose. Tonight, we are using stones chosen out of a pure love,” Nathan smiled at Harry and Ginny who flushed slightly, “for a very unselfish reason.


“Now, all of you were chosen for specific reasons,” he continued, sweeping the circle with his gaze. “The circlet is a balanced magical object, deriving its power from the relationships between all of us. Each of us will bestow power through our love for Harry and Ginny into a symbol representing who we are, namely our mystical birthstone, and place it into the circlet. Once all twelve stones are in place, the circlet will be ready for completion. It is only completed, and therefore useable, once Harry and Ginny have also placed their stones within it. That, however, will not happen tonight. Yes, Hermione?” Nathan asked.


Hermione pulled her hand down to her side. “When will that happen?”


Nathan glanced around the circle. “When we have the essence to entrap,” he said quietly. Hermione slowly nodded in understanding and inched closer to Ron.


“Now, Bill is going to hand everyone a stone. Anna is going to hand everyone a piece of parchment corresponding to your stone. The parchment details your part of the spell. When we are done with the ceremony, we will be destroying the parchment. Next to your name, you will notice your designation in the balance. Some of your roles are two fold, in that you not only represent yourself and your birthstone, but also another figure in Harry and Ginny’s lives who is not present.”


“This is it?” Ron asked, looking up from his parchment.


Anna chuckled. “Yes, Ron. This is it. The wording does not have to be exact because it is the emotion which is the true magic. The spell, Sero Compago, means ‘join together’. Much like the circlet itself, the spell’s strength lies in its simplicity, for love at its essence, is simple.”


Harry stumbled backward as Hermione flung herself at him from across the circle. “I’m representing your sister! Oh, Harry! I’m honored,” she cried tearfully.


Harry chuckled and patted her on the back. “Thanks, Hermione. You are an amazing sister “ always telling me what to do, what not to do, bugging me to study ““


“Oh!” Hermione pulled back and swatted his stomach. Wiping the tears at the corners of her eyes, she stood on her tip toes to place a kiss on his cheek. “Thank you.”


“No, Hermione,” Harry grinned. “Thank you.”



Bill handed Nathan his stone and took the empty spot on his left. Anna handed him a piece of parchment and stood on his right. Looking around the circle, Nathan watched as heads lowered to read the words written on the parchment. He felt a sense of warmth unfurl in his middle and spread throughout his body as he looked at the people in the circle. As the circlet deemed necessary, this truly was a family of sorts and he was a part of it. He felt Anna weave her fingers in with his and he looked down into her eyes. She smiled up at him. “Ready?” she whispered. Nathan nodded.


In the middle of the circle was a simple, wood pedestal. On the pedestal rested the circular band of brushed gold, elegant in its simplicity. In the band, were fourteen holes.


Nathan stepped forward, a deep green emerald resting flat on his outstretched palm. He cleared his throat and took a deep breath, glancing briefly at the parchment in his hand. In a clear, strong voice, he spoke, his eyes on Harry and Ginny.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of January’s emerald, for my mother Catarina, mentor and friend to Ginevra Molly Weasley. The emerald represents the love and contentment needed to protect you.” Nathan flicked his wand over the emerald. “Sero Compago.“


The emerald glowed, a light radiating from within, casting green rays throughout the room. Carefully, Nathan picked up the stone and placed it in the first hole in the circlet. Hermione gasped as the metal molded to the shape of the stone and cemented it in place. The light faded. Nathan stepped back and nodded at Arthur.


Arthur Weasley stepped forward, an oval green stone, flecked with pink and blue in his palm. He smiled gently at his daughter.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of February’s bloodstone, for myself, Arthur, father of Ginevra Molly Weasley. The bloodstone represents growth and healing needed to protect you. Sero Compago.”


Arthur held the glowing bloodstone to the circlet and it too was bonded in place.


Ron stepped forward and cleared his throat. He flashed a grin at Harry before starting.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of March’s Jade, for myself as I represent “ no, hang on “ as I am Harry’s brother.” Harry’s shoulders shook with a silent chuckle as Hermione looked at Ron in shock for deviating from the parchment. “Jade represents good fortune and friendship and promotes wisdom and long life. Sero Compago.”


The pale green jade became the third stone of the circlet.


Albus Dumbledore stepped forward, his eyes twinkling at Harry over his spectacles. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of April’s opal as I take pride in being Harry James Potter’s mentor. This aqua colored opal holds within its depths hope and purity, the power of foresight and acts as a conduit of truth. These powers I give to you. Sero Compago.”


The opal sent aqua waves of light around the room as it took its place in the circlet.


Anna took her place by the pedestal and smiled warmly. She rested her open palm on the top of her growing belly, a pale blue sapphire lying dormant on it.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of May’s sapphire as I take the honored place of Harry’s mother Lily. This sapphire represents your mother’s enlightenment and inner peace. Sero Compago.”


Anna held the sapphire to the circlet and stepped back.


Luna glided to the middle of the circle. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of June’s Moonstone,” Luna held up the milky white stone for all to see, “as I am Ginny’s friend. This moonstone, known as the birthstone of emotional peace, tranquility and harmony, brings good fortune, balancing the yin and the yang. Sero Compago.”


The room became bathed in grey beams of light as the moonstone became part of the circlet.


Neville took Luna’s place. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of July’s Ruby as I am Harry’s friend.” Neville cleared his throat, his cheeks flushing slightly in the glow of the torches as he continued. “This ruby represents passion, strength, courage and protection.” Neville held his wand above the red stone. “Sero Compago.”


With a steady hand, Neville held the warm red ruby up to its proper spot on the headpiece. He turned back and smiled at Joanna who stepped forward.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of August’s Diamond as I represent a sister for Ginny. The diamond gives protection, purity and peace and I give them to you,” Joanna said softly, smiling at Ginny. “Sero Compago.”


Dazzling clear light shot out of the middle of the diamond, separating into all the colors of a blood bond as the circlet molded around the edges of the stone.


“Within this circlet,” Hermione said clearly as she stepped up to the pedestal, “I bestow the power of September’s Agate as I am Harry’s sister,” she said, ignoring Ron’s ‘I told you so’ look. “The agate guards against danger, giving strength and courage. Sero Compago.”


The agate’s warm golden hues made the dull metal of the circlet grow richer as it took its place in the headpiece.


Molly Weasley stepped slowly into the circle, wiping her eyes with a hankie. She swallowed and took a calming breath, pausing to study Harry and Ginny before smiling tearfully at them. “Within this circlet,” she spoke, her voice full of emotion, “I bestow the power of October’s Jasper as I am Ginny’s mother. May Jasper drive away the evils spirits and keep you safe as it protects you. Sero Compago.”


Pale lavender touched the corners of the room as it became the tenth stone.


Bill touched his mother on the shoulder as he took his place. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of November’s pearl as Ginny’s brother. The pearl represents wisdom through experience. Sero Compago.”


Bill held the pearl in between his forefinger and thumb, its glowing luster turning his skin a brilliant shimmering white, as he placed it next to the Jasper.


Hagrid cleared his throat as he stepped forward, the black onyx almost lost in his massive hand. “Within this circlet, I bestow th’ power of December’s onyx,” he began, digging in his pocket for his tablecloth sized handkerchief, “as I stan’ ‘ere for ‘arry’s da’.” Snuffling, Hagrid hiccupped, before continuing. “May it bring yeh ‘appiness “ hic - and sharpen yeh intiuition an’ instincts.” Hagrid glanced over at Dumbledore who gave a barely perceptible nod. Bringing up his pink umbrella, Hagrid held it above the stone. “Sero Compago.”


The onyx took on a brilliant sheen as the magic bonded it into the circlet.


Luna patted Hagrid’s arm as he rejoined the circle, blubbering.



Harry and Ginny stepped into the circle. They held no stones, only their wands which they touched in unison to the circlet and spoke as one, “Sero Compago.”


The two remaining holes shimmered, the braids around the openings glimmering in the torchlight momentarily before returning to their dull sheen. Harry and Ginny looked back expectantly at Nathan.


“It’s done,” he said, smiling.


Bill held out his hand to Harry and dropped a ruby matching the one Neville had placed in the circlet into Harry’s outstretched palm. Into Ginny’s, he dropped a diamond.


“Don’t loose those,” he said in all seriousness.


“What do we do with the circlet?” Harry asked, tucking the ruby into his jeans pocket.


“I will keep it in my office for the time being,” Dumbledore answered, picking it up carefully in his hands. “When you need it, it will be there for you.”


“Thank you, sir,” Harry said. “Uh, and thank you, all,” he said, looking up at everyone.


“Yes,” Ginny nodded, taking Harry’s hand, “without you, this could not work.”


“No, Ginny,” Dumbledore said softly, pausing with his hand on the door, “you are wrong. Without you and Harry, this,” he held his arms wide to encompass everyone in the room, “this would not work. Thank you.”


Ginny cheeks flamed red as she glanced up at Harry. Harry put his arm around her and pulled her into a hug, happily oblivious to those around them.


With a nod of his head and an understanding smile, Albus Dumbledore held the door open for everyone else to exit.


Anna approached Harry and Ginny. “Now, you two, I’m terribly sorry to say, but you’ve just contracted a highly contagious case of Wizard Pox.”


“Damn,” Ginny commented mildly.


Anna chuckled. “It’s going around. Can’t be too careful, you know. You have three days. After seventy two hours, the ribbons fade away so you have to work quickly. Bill has your Portkey. He’ll stay nearby tonight, along with Moody. Tomorrow, I believe your dad, Ginny, and Remus will be there. Kingsley Shacklebolt and Tonks will be there Monday. Do you have your things? Good. Have fun and if you need anything from Nathan or me, one of your chaperones can get us a message.”


“Come on, you two,” Bill said, holding out quill. “Grab hold. You’ve got work to do!”



+++++



Harry closed the door after Bill who had left them with a picnic basket of food and a reminder that he and Moody would be right on the other side of the clearing if they needed anything. In a tent. A cold, sand filled, curse breaker tent. Harry waved cheerfully at him through the small window in the door and turned to Ginny. “So,” he grinned, wrapping her in his arms. “What do we do first? Eat?”


Ginny snorted. “No, Ron! Don’t you want to see what these ribbons look like?”


Harry let his forehead fall to Ginny’s shoulder. “Not really, Hermione. We’re alone. In a cottage. We have three days….”


Ginny giggled. “We have three days and we have no idea how hard this is going to be. Harry, when we leave this cottage, this has to be done. And if it’s going to take time, then we need to start now,” she said, stepping backward out of his arms. Taking a hold of his hands, Ginny cocked her head to the side. “Of course,” she batted her eye lashes at him, “if we get it all done early, no one says we have to leave the cottage until Monday evening, either.”


Harry sighed and met Ginny’s eyes. She winked at him. Rolling his eyes, Harry chuckled.


“You win,” he conceded. “Where do you want to do this?”


Ginny surveyed the tiny cottage. The front door opened into the main room built around a large, stone fireplace in the middle of the back wall. A worn, but comfortable looking sofa anchored a woven rug and faced the fire. Off to the right was a small kitchen area, designed for function not entertaining. A small table buffered on either side with two chairs waited under a window blackened by night. Ginny hoped they would be able to see the forest through it in the morning. There were two doors on the other end of the room. Ginny grinned at the memory of Anna assuring her mum at Grimmauld Place that yes, there were two bedrooms and yes, the beds were charmed that if a second person tried to sleep in them they were automatically tossed on the floor. On her way past Ginny, Anna had whispered out of the side of her mouth, she wasn’t so sure about the sofa, though.


“How about in front of the fireplace?” Ginny suggested brightly.


“Fireplace,” Harry repeated, motioning for Ginny to go first.


Ginny knelt in front of the hearth and touched her wand to the logs. Flames began to dance as light and warmth infiltrated the room. Harry sat cross legged on the rug and looked expectantly at Ginny.


“Did Anna or Nathan tell you how to do this?” Harry asked.


Ginny giggled. “Professor Borgin said we’d know when we saw it.”


“That’s helpful,” Harry commented.


“That’s what Anna said before she swatted him with a roll of parchment,” Ginny smiled, holding up her hand. “Let’s give it a go. If we can’t figure this out, we can always ask for a suggestion from our omnipresent yet invisible honor guard.”


“Right,” Harry said, weaving his fingers with hers and closing his eyes.


The ribbons were there. They always were, shining with strength, their colors deeper than they were even last week. Ginny smiled at the hues. Love did that, she mused. Surrounding the woven fabric of their bond were twelve new strands, each the color of the corresponding birthstone. Ginny marveled at the twelve, tingling running up her spine at the thought that they had twelve people in their lives who loved them enough to give them such a gift.


Harry watched the loose ribbons, floating freely behind his closed eyes. A lot of green, he thought and chuckled. The bond rippled with his laughter. Focusing on his love for Ginny had opened up a flood gate of abilities. Suddenly, sending magic into the bond was as easy as falling in love with Ginny all over again and every time he experienced it, Harry wanted to do it again and again. Most of all, he simply wanted Ginny to know she had his heart for always, and he would do anything in his power to show her that. Harry’s mind spoke for his heart and he watched, in fascination as the first ribbon “ lavender for Ginny’s mum “ dipped into the bond.


Harry felt Ginny smile through the bond. It pushed her happiness into him. He kept concentrating on his love, watching the ribbon weave in and out and under the other ribbons, becoming another shimmering color in the fabric. As it had when they first bonded, their bond stretched tight, as if it was adjusting to the new ribbon and the power it brought with it. Behind his closed eyes, Harry saw a flash of light. Had his eyes been open, he would have seen the cottage bathed in light purple. The bond returned to normal, fluttering between the two of them, now with eleven ribbons floating beside it.


Jubilation filled Harry as he realized that yes, they could do this. However, just as sudden, exhaustion flooded his body. Focusing on the love he felt for Ginny had been so easy he hadn’t realized how much magic it actually took to do the weaving. He now knew why it was going to take three days to do this.


He felt Ginny squeeze his hand. He blinked.


“Well done, Mr. Potter,” Ginny smiled.


“You knew all along how to do that, didn’t you?” Harry stated dryly.


“Well, Professor Borgin had said that it probably wasn’t all that different from sending magic in and out of the bond, but he wasn’t sure. I’m guessing he was right?”


Harry smiled, and rubbed the palm of his hand on his forehead and nodded. Then he yawned. “I feel like we’ve just spent two hours at Quidditch practice.”


Ginny nodded. “I know what you mean. I guess that makes sense, though. Introducing new magic into established magic that just keeps growing stronger is bound to be tough. But,” Ginny said, unbending her knees and standing, stretching her arms to the ceiling, “the good part is the sentiment behind the ribbons is strong and they were given for the purpose of joining the bond so it’s all doable.”


Harry looked at Ginny impressed. “Wow. You’re good.”


“Yes, I am,” Ginny grinned. “And,” she yawned, “tired and hungry. How about you?”


“Starved,” Harry admitted, standing up.


Ginny walked to the cottage door and groaned as she hoisted the picnic basket up. “Well, between Dobby and Mum, I’m sure this basket is loaded with all your favorites. It certainly weighs enough.”


“Here,” Harry said, taking the basked from her and moving it to in front of the fire.


Ginny ventured into the kitchen area and came back with plates, napkins and silverware. Five minutes later, the contents of the basket were spread out on the rug and their plates filled. Between mouthfuls, Harry studied the cottage.


“So, which room do you want?” he asked, a note of disappointment in his voice as he counted the two bedrooms.


“The one next to yours,” Ginny replied, stifling a yawn with the back of her hand.


“I think that can be arranged,” Harry smiled. “I’ll do dishes. You go sleep.”


“You’re my hero,” Ginny smiled sleepily.


“I know,” Harry said, leaning down to place a kiss on her lips. “Sweet dreams, Gin.”


“You too, Harry.”




++++


“You cooked?” Ginny asked, wandering up behind Harry, rubbing her eyes with the cuff of her pajamas.


“I reheated,” Harry announced, turning from the stovetop to wrap his arms around Ginny. He pulled her close and gave her a light kiss. “How’d you sleep?”


“Well, remind me tonight to place a cushioning charm on my mattress before I fall asleep,” Ginny winced as she stretched.


“That good, eh? Tea?” Harry offered.



“Oh, yes, please,” Ginny replied gratefully. “We’re going to need all the energy we can get. I was thinking that we’ve got two full days and eleven ribbons. If we split them up and space them throughout the day, we should be alright.”


“Really?” Harry asked, setting a plate filled with various breakfast foods on the table.


“Oh, I don’t know,” Ginny said, wrapping her hands around the mug Harry gave her. “But it sounds good. That’s a ton of food,” Ginny commented, as Harry set down a plate of sausages.


“I think Anna may have had something to do with breakfast,” Harry noted.


“Mmm,” Ginny murmured, sipping her tea. “She does like breakfast.”


“Glad she’s on our side,” Harry said, spearing a sausage.


“You know, there’s no reason we have to stay in the cottage to do this,” Ginny commented, pulling a muffin apart. “Our guard will follow us wherever we go. I was thinking maybe we could explore and maybe do a little of the weaving outside.”


“Sounds good to me,” Harry said. He watched Ginny spreading butter on her muffin and grinned. “This is fun.”


“Eating breakfast?” Ginny asked, taking a bite.


“Eating breakfast with you,” Harry replied. “It’s kind of like we’re all grown up and this is our house.”


“I used to play house,” Ginny smiled remembering. “Having no sisters to play it with me, Mum would make Ron play with me. At first, I let him be the father. He had a job at the Ministry just like Dad and he would come ‘home’ and ask me how my day was and I’d tell him whatever made up chores I could think of. Then I’d ask him how his day was. Then, as he got older, he started making a fuss over playing it with me. I overheard Mum bribing him one day to play it with me, so I decided it was time we changed roles.”


“Ron became the mum?” Harry asked.


“No, Ron became my baby,” Ginny giggled. “Nappies and all.”


Harry turned positively red from laughter.


“Of course, knowing that he had been bribed with treacle tart, I told Ron he could just be the dad again if he gave me his treacle tart.”


“Did he?” Harry gasped.


“Yeah,” Ginny nodded, her eyes twinkling. “Especially after I threatened to give the picture I took of him dressed in a bonnet to Fred and George.”


Harry wiped at the corners of his eyes.


“Wonder why he hasn’t shared that one with me.”


Ginny chuckled. “Yeah, I wonder why. Remind me to show you the picture one day.”


“You still have it?” Harry grinned.


“Oh, yes,” Ginny nodded. “One of these days I’m going to give it to Hermione. After all she puts up with, I think she deserves it.”


“Yeah, she does,” Harry agreed, standing up and clearing his and Ginny’s plates.



+++++


Nathan leaned down to place a kiss on his wife’s belly. “Take good care of your mum, today, alright?”


“Yes, he takes care of me alright. Recently, he’s started taking care of me by swelling my ankles to the size of grapefruits. He’s a thoughtful one, your son,” Anna said, buckling her satchel.


“Could be your daughter,” Nathan called over his shoulder as he opened the door to their flat.


“No, my daughter would be more considerate of her mother’s feet. After all, she’ll be borrowing my shoes.”


Nathan chuckled, giving Anna a quick kiss as she passed by him on her way to work. “Hope she likes work boots. Have a good one.”


“You, too,” Anna waved, before heading off.



++++



“You would think after doing seven of these, it would get easier,” Harry observed, slumping back against the edge of the sofa.


“Practice makes perfect?” Ginny offered, plopping down beside him.


“Something like that,” Harry nodded.


“Well, look at this way,” Ginny said, reaching over and bringing Harry’s hand over to rest in her lap. “Our bond is getting loads of practice and is becoming stronger.”


“That doesn’t make me feel better,” Harry said, leaning his head back.


Ginny giggled. “I know what you mean.”


“Hey, Gin?”


“Yeah?”


“Are you worried?”


“About the spell?” Ginny asked, sitting up so she could look at Harry properly.


“Yeah,” Harry answered, lifting his head and meeting her gaze.


Ginny sighed. “I think I’m more scared of what happens after,” she said, looking down at their entwined hands in her lap. “I mean, how many more people have to die because of Tom? It makes me wish we could go and just do it right now.”


“Do you think it will work?”


“Of course it will work,” Ginny replied with confidence. “It has to work. Are you worried?”


Harry removed his hand from Ginny’s and pulled her against his chest. “When I first learned of the Prophecy, all I could think of was how I had to kill Voldemort “ it was something I had to do by myself. But, here we are, doing it together. I don’t have to do this on my own. I mean, I still have to do the final bit, but the rest, I get to do with you.”


“Lucky me?” Ginny smiled into Harry’s chest.


“No, lucky me. I mean, the fact we’re in this together means…,” Harry searched for the words to express his heart. It was more than gratitude. It went much deeper than that.


Ginny lifted her head and looked up at Harry. Gently she placed her hand on the side of Harry’s face and pressed her lips to his. Pulling back she smiled into his eyes. “Harry, there isn’t anywhere else I could be throughout this than with you.”


Harry felt his throat close from emotion. He crushed Ginny to him, pressing his lips onto hers, hoping that his actions would say what his words couldn’t.


++++++


Healer Winters nodded to the guards as one of them held the door open for him. Mid-morning sun streamed through the windows, bleaching everything in the sterile hospital room and temporarily blinding him.


“Mrs. Malfoy, I am here to change your dressings.”


It took a moment for him to locate his patient, leaning against a smaller man half hidden in shadows. The half he was able to see, Healer Winters could only describe as rodent looking.


“Sir, no visitors are allowed ““


Healer Winters stopped in mid sentence. He licked his lips nervously and swallowed. The blood in his face drained to his stomach. He opened his mouth to alert the guards.


He never spoke again.



+++++



Harry fell back onto the blanket, wincing as his shoulder blades hit a root or rock or stick. He didn’t know which. He just knew it hurt. Everything hurt, to be honest. But they were done. He closed his eyes and filled his lungs with fresh, forest air. He felt Ginny snuggle up to his side. He tried to turn his head to kiss the top of her head but his neck hurt too much.


“I ache,” Ginny mumbled into his side.


Harry made a noise in the back of his throat.


“Who knew concentrating so much would take so much out of a witch?” Ginny sighed.


“Or wizard,” Harry groaned.


“We need to get back,” Ginny stated faintly.


“No, we don’t.”


“No, we don’t,” Ginny agreed. She smiled as she felt Harry’s breathing even out. She snuggled closer and closed her eyes.



In the forest, several meters back, Tonks checked her watch.


“How are they doing?” Kingsley Shacklebolt asked from behind her.


“Fine,” Tonks answered.


“How much longer?” Kingsley asked.


“Not much,” Tonks said, settling herself against a tree. “Not much longer at all.”



+++++



“Hey, Bill,” Lester James greeted, stopping by the edge of Bill’s desk. “Have you seen Anna?”


“Yeah, she was here earlier,” Bill answered distractedly, his eyes roving the paperwork on his desk. “Maybe she went out for lunch.”


“It’s 4:30,” Lester commented. “And I had lunch with her today. Well, I mean we picked it up from the cart out front. Come to think of it, she said she needed to run across the street for something and would be right back. Look, I need her approval on a new modification to a hex.”


“Why don’t you give it to me? I’ve got a 5:00 with her.” Bill held his hand out without looking up. “I’ll give it to her and put it on your desk.”


“That’d be great. Thanks!”


“No problem,” Bill said, his eyes still on his parchment as Lester walked away. He made a few more notations before glancing up, his eyes falling on Anna’s open door. It wasn’t like Anna to just disappear. She usually let someone know where she was, and most times, that someone was him. He had been at his desk all afternoon.


Listening to his sense of unease, Bill pushed his chair back from his desk and headed toward Anna’s office. It was empty. He stepped in, noticing several sheets of parchment on her desk. None of it was of a sensitive nature, but Anna didn’t leave any type of parchment lying around if she was going to be out of her office for a long period of time. It was Gringotts policy.


Bill turned the top piece of parchment around. It was a requisition form, much like the one he had given Swelf last week. It was for a series of mint condition coins, to be used for the purpose of testing hexes. Bill shook his head. That wasn’t an unusual request. So why did it feel like something was not right?


Bill picked up the parchment and read the signature at the bottom. Munch “ he was one of the goblins who worked the front lobby counter. With a determined step, Bill left Anna’s office.


“Bill? Did you get it?” Lester called from his desk.


“Not now, Lester!” Bill barked, a little gruffer than he intended.


Bill’s gate increased as he walked down the corridor. Slapping the doors into the lobby with his palm, he shoved them open. He swiped at the perspiration forming under his brow. Munch was at the far end of the room, helping a witch who was folded over from age, barely tall enough to see over the counter. Munch sent Bill a disapproving snarl as he paced behind the old woman, his heels thudding on the marble floor with each worried step. Light sliced across his boots as the front doors opened.


“Bill!” Fred’s voice shouted through the crowd.


Goblins all down the lobby desk shot Fred disgusted glares as he ran through the maze of customers.


“Fred “ is this import-“


“Bill, here, over here,” Fred barked in a hushed whisper, firmly pulling Bill over to the darkened corner of the lobby.


“Look, Fred, I’ve got ““


Fred pulled out his wand. “Muffliato. Bill, Narcissa Malfoy escaped.” Fred said hurriedly, his face flush from running.


Bill stopped, his sweaty hands wrinkling the parchment he held in his grasp. “Escaped? How could she escape? She was under guard. She didn’t have a wand-“


“No, but I think someone smuggled her in one. Or helped. The Healer was transfigured into an end table. The guards were killed from behind. She “ they escaped out the window of her room.”


Bill felt his stomach roll with nausea. He looked down at the parchment in his hand. “When?”


“This morning. Right before lunch. The Healer went in to change her bandages at 11:30. He never came back out.”


“She’s got Anna,” Bill said stonily.


“What? What do you mean, she’s got Anna?” Fred said incredulously.


Bill pulled Fred further into the corner. “Anna’s been missing since after lunch.”


“Are you sure she just didn’t go home?” Fred asked.


“She didn’t go home. She’s gone,” Bill answered with certainty, swallowing against the cold hard lump of fear forming in his gut. He stared intently at Fred, his mind grasping what had to happen next. He so did not want to be the person to do it, but he did not have a choice. His voice quiet but strong, he spoke.


“We have to tell Nathan.”


+++++


A/N “ My thanks to my betas wvchemteach for making sure Hermione sniffled and Hagrid blubbered. To Anya for pointing out that Anna’s baby was NOT relocating her to the side of a fruit stand. To bogus7 “ I’m sorry, they don’t get shorter!
Warm by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own nor profit from Harry Potter.


Happy Holidays! The lost are found! My reviews are back and I'm working on answering them all. Sorry for the delay and thank you all for the feedback and encouragement - I appreciate every one of them!



Warm





Judging by the looks students were giving him, Bill knew he must look a sight. His hair was flying behind him; his shirt was sticking to the perspiration gathering between his shoulder blades; his heart was beating out a rhythm to, ‘she’s missing; she’s missing.’ He had no idea what he was going to say to Nathan.


From Gringotts, Bill had sent Fred to alert the Order. He and Fred had agreed Nathan needed to be told in person, partly because there was no need to alert anyone who didn’t need to know, but mostly because a Floo call just seemed so cold. Bill knew deep in his heart if he ever had to receive this kind of news about Fleur, he’d want a warm, breathing human being there - if only so he could pour some his rage and fear into him.


Bill tried to remain calm as he wove in and out of the streams of students flowing from the classrooms on either side of the corridor. He knew he wasn’t doing a very good job of it when a first year Hufflepuff squeaked as she jumped out of his way.


“Sorry,” he mumbled, flashing the girl an apologetic smile.


“Bill?”


Bill turned around. Harry and Ron were walking out of the Defense Against the Dark Arts classroom.


“What are you doing here?” Ron asked.


“Is Nathan in there?” Bill barked, not stopping.


“Yeah,” Ron answered, stepping back to keep from getting run over. “Why?”


“What’s happened?” Harry asked, turning back around and following Bill.


“I need to see Nathan,” Bill replied, entering the classroom.


“He’s probably in his office,” Ron offered, observing the now empty room.


Bill walked purposefully down the middle isle and started up the steps to Nathan’s office. He paused half way up and looked back over his shoulder at Harry and Ron who stood on the steps below him.


“I’m not sure “ oh, never mind. You’d be the next two I’d tell anyway. Come on,” Bill motioned. He knocked on the open office door.


“Bill!” Nathan smiled from behind his desk. “What brings you here? Hello, Harry, Ron. Did you two have a question?”


Harry and Ron shook their heads and looked expectantly at Bill. Bill stepped toward Nathan’s desk, taking a deep breath of air and praying inspiration would come with the right words any time now. Nathan took in Bill’s concerned stance and felt a cold, hard pain solidify in his middle.


“What’s happened to Anna?”


“She’s missing, Nathan,” Bill answered evenly. “Narcissa Malfoy escaped from St. Mungos this morning. No one has seen Anna since lunch. She isn’t here, is she?” he finished, his words more of a hopeful statement than a question.


Nathan’s face lost all color. He stared at Bill, his eyes darkening with anger and fear. In a burst of movement, he flew around his desk and out his office door, through his classroom and into the hallway. Bill turned and ran after him. Harry and Ron traded stunned looks before following Bill.


Blood pounding in his ears, Nathan didn’t hear or see anything as he ran through the corridors to the North Tower. Anna has to be there. She just had come home after lunch. She didn’t want to bother him in the middle of classes. She was simply napping or “ or she’d be in the kitchen, making a cup of tea. Hot water on the stove. Not from her wand. Making tea.


Nathan charged at the door to their flat, his wand at the ready, performing the unlocking charm. He slammed into the worn wood, sending the door flying back. It caught him on the shoulder on its rebound. Nathan didn’t notice.


“ANNA! Anna, are you here?” he shouted, running from room to room. “ANNA!” he bellowed, flying into their bedroom “ their empty bedroom. His knees hit the side of the bed and he stopped. His breath hitched, as he turned to see Bill, Harry and Ron standing helplessly in the sitting room. “She has to be at work, Bill. Did you check the vaults? Maybe she was just down below, even though Madam Pomfrey has told her she shouldn’t be doing such strenuous things right now. But you know Anna, she wouldn’t listen. She feels fine. Did you check? Are you sure ““


“Nathan, I’m sorry, we checked.” Bill stepped up and placed his hands on Nathan’s upper arms. “I’m sorry. We are going to find her.”


Nathan’s eyes darted around their flat. His chest heaved as he gulped air, the words sinking in and beginning to make sense. His shoulders shook as his chin fell to his chest. “Bloody hell,” he whispered raggedly. Throwing his head back, Nathan raged at the ceiling. “DAMN YOU!”


Bill released his grip on Nathan’s arms and Nathan fell back, slumping into one of the high backed reading chairs. He ran his hands through his hair then pressed the palm of his right hand to his forehead where an intense throbbing had begun.


“When do we leave?”


“Leave? Oh, leave,” Bill repeated. Sitting down in the chair opposite Nathan, Bill motioned for Harry and Ron to have a seat on the sofa. “Nathan, we can’t just go find her ““


“Why not?” Nathan argued loudly. “We know who has her. How many places could she be?”


“We don’t know for sure who has her,” Bill said carefully. “We’re pretty sure, though. If it is Narcissa - and we think it is,” Bill reiterated as Nathan opened his mouth to argue, “the places where she could take Anna are numerous. The Malfoys and Blacks have connections. Anna could be anywhere.”


Nathan’s eyes were hollow as they stared into Bill’s. His face a splotchy mix of pale and red, Nathan drew a ragged breath and nodded before letting his head droop.


“Professor Borgin?” Harry asked, scooting forward on the sofa. “Over the holidays, you were working with Ginny on communicating through our bond.”


“Yes,” Nathan said, his eyes focused on his shoes.


“A marriage is like a bond, right?”


Nathan raised his head and looked at Harry with dull eyes.


“Well, you and Anna were separated for almost twenty years and yet, you still stayed married to each other,” Harry plunged on hopefully. “I’d say that probably is a good sign that your marriage is a true love match.” Harry swallowed, his cheeks flushing slightly as he realized he was critiquing a professor’s love life. “Would some of the same things in a blood bond based in love hold true for a marriage based in love as well?”


The sitting room was silent as Harry’s words hung in the air, filtering through the emotion swirling among them. Bill jumped as Nathan’s voice, gravelly but strong, broke through.


“We’ll need Ginny.”


“Why?” Ron asked.


“She and Harry are connected to Anna and me through the circlet. Through their bond, they can sense Anna,” Nathan replied hastily.


“I’ll get Ginny,” Harry said, standing up.


“I’ll get the spell book,” Nathan said, heading to their library.


++++


Nathan placed his wedding band in Ginny’s outstretched palm. Ginny folded her fingers over it, soaking up the warmth held in the gold. She glanced up at Nathan who was looking at her with his heart in his eyes. She had the intense desire to blow her cheeks out and exhale loudly, saying something to the effect of, “Are you sure we can do this?” Instead, she straightened her shoulders and nodded curtly, hoping her posture alluded to confidence she wasn’t feeling. Instinctively, she reached her free hand out for Harry, touching his arm. She closed her eyes just for a moment, letting Harry’s warmth fill her with calmness.


“Here,” Bill said, turning a book on the desk of Nathan and Anna’s office around so Ginny could see it.


“So, why a wedding band?” Ron asked, leaning over Ginny’s shoulder to look at the book. Ginny shot Ron an annoyed look for encroaching on her space and he stepped back. “Sorry.”


“Anna and my wedding bands are made from the same gold bar. When I had them made, I requested a charm be placed on them, linking them together, much as our wedding ceremony linked us.”


“Really?” Hermione asked wide-eyed. “How did you do that?”


“It’s Ancient ““


“Magic,” Harry and Ginny finished for him.


The corners of Nathan’s mouth turned up slightly. “Yes,” he nodded. “It’s one of those. Our rings are tied together through our love.”


“They’re bonded?” Hermione asked.


“In a sense. Anna added a ribbon to Harry and Ginny’s bond during the circlet ceremony tying herself to them. They in turn wove it into their bond. If Ginny and Harry focus on the ring, through their connection with Anna, they should be able to use it to follow the ties to her.” Nathan turned to face Harry and Ginny. “You may not be able to sense exactly where Anna is, but you’ll be able to get a general idea.”


Ginny unfolded her hand and held Nathan’s ring up so she could look at it at eye level. “Everything has ribbons,” she commented softly.


“If you know where and how to look,” Nathan nodded, tapping his fingers on the desk.


“How long does it take?” Hermione asked.


“Depends,” Nathan replied, pulling out his handkerchief, looking at it for a moment confused as to why he was holding it, and shoving it back in his pocket. “Depends on where Anna is. Depends on what kind of wards are surrounding her. Depends if she,” Nathan swallowed hard dragging his handkerchief out of his pocket again, “if she is still wearing it. The tracing charms only work if the ring is on the finger of the person who is supposed to wear it,” he finished quietly.


Ginny placed a comforting hand on Nathan’s arm. “We’ll find her, Professor Borgin.”


Nathan met Ginny’s eyes. He could read the nervousness in their depths, but he also saw a determination that spoke volumes. He nodded.


Ginny stepped back and cleared her throat. “If I understand this correctly, we need to perform the mediation exercises. Then, we wait. The tracking charm has a bit of a boomerang effect which can take a little time. During that time, I keep your wedding band,” she looked at Nathan, “with me since that is the starting point of the tracking charm.”


Ginny glanced around the room at the expectant, anxious expressions. She sighed. “You know, I found last summer that these types of meditations take time and space.”


“It’s alright, Ginny,” Hermione assured her. “We don’t mind.”


Ginny looked pleadingly at Hermione.


“Oh!” Hermione exclaimed, blushing. “Sorry. Let’s go, Ron."


“Go? Oh, yeah, sorry,” Ron said.


“I’ll be just outside,” Nathan said reluctantly, “if you need anything.” Bill pulled the office door open and held it for Nathan. Nathan slipped through then paused. Looking over his shoulder, he met Ginny’s eyes. “If Anna is “ if she is “ “


“She isn’t,” Ginny said firmly. “She’s alive.”


“We don’t know that,” Nathan argued coarsely.


“Professor Borgin, if she was dead, your ring would be cold.”


Nathan blinked. “Cold?”


“Cold,” Ginny replied. “Your mum told me that when true love is alive, it keeps things warm.” Ginny held up her palm with Nathan’s ring on it. “Feel it. It’s still warm.”


Nathan hesitantly reached out, his fingers brushing the gold on Ginny’s hand. “It’s warm,” he breathed.


“She’s alive,” Ginny smiled encouragingly.


“Thank you,” Nathan said quietly and closed the door behind him.


Ginny and Harry settled themselves in the chairs opposite the desk. Harry grinned slightly.


“What?” Ginny asked.


“It’s just this has to be the most comfortable I’ve ever been when we’ve tried this,” Harry shrugged.


“Harry!” Ginny admonished, trying not to smile.


“Sorry,” he said, sobering, holding up his hand.


Ginny held up her palm and then drew it back slightly, hesitating.


“What is it?” Harry asked concerned.


“Harry, according to the spell book, we can track Anna through her ribbons in our bond. But, her bond with Nathan is much stronger than her bond with us. If I weave one of our ribbons into the bond between Anna and Nathan’s rings, we can use their bond to track her. It ““


“Makes sense,” Harry finished for her.


“Harry, you know what that means?” Ginny asked worriedly.


“Ginny,” Harry said leaning forward and placing his hands on either side of her face, “this is worth it. If this was you, there isn’t anything I wouldn’t do to get you back. Without Nathan, we wouldn’t have a bond. This is the right thing to do.” Closing the distance between them, he placed a soft, reassuring kiss on her lips.


Ginny smiled at Harry as he pulled back. “Alright, then,” she said quietly, “let’s do this. Here, you need to cover the ring with your hand, too.”


Harry reached forward and placed his hand over Ginny’s, the wedding band sandwiched between their palms. He then held up his other palm to Ginny’s, and wove his fingers with hers. He closed his eyes.


Ginny took a deep breath and shut her own eyes. She began to concentrate on the ring. She had done this so many times that finding the ribbons was just a matter of looking. But nothing could have prepared her for the intensity of the ribbons flowing from Nathan’s wedding band. Suddenly, Ginny understood with the utmost clarity what her and Harry’s true love bond would become.


The first ribbons Ginny had ever seen were the ones now binding her and Harry. Ginny knew from observing Joanna and Neville’s ribbons, her and Harry’s had most likely started out not necessarily pale, but light, pastel almost. When she had first observed her ribbons, they were already darker than Joanna’s. Her and Harry’s relationship had been much more established, their emotions more concrete. Over the past months, their ribbons had become even more vibrant as their bond became stronger. Day by day, Ginny watched as they darkened, expanded and thickened.


And now before her, she saw her future. She was awed by the bond between Nathan and Anna which was just as magical as hers and Harry’s, but instead of being strengthened by blood, this was based solely in love. The ribbons that tied Nathan and Anna were simply amazing. Ginny so wished she could show Nathan. They were there, firm and strong. Twenty plus years of loving someone would do that, she thought. Looking deeper, she detected new ribbons, weaving in and out. She smiled. That was their baby. She briefly wondered if her parents had done a charm such as Nathan had, what their bond would look like with seven sets of ribbons woven in. As she stepped back in her mind, she saw the bond was taught, stretched over the miles that separated the rings. Ginny’s heart ached for the pain it was causing both Nathan and Anna.


Ginny took a deep breath and closed her mind to Nathan and Anna’s bond. Quickly and carefully, she focused on her and Harry’s bond. Silently, she apologized to Harry and braced herself.


The pain was sudden, deep and all encompassing. Harry sucked in his breath and fought to stay upright in his chair. His hand jerked away from the top of the wedding band, driven by an intense desire to claw at his heart in an attempt to make the burning agony stop. He felt Ginny’s fingers curl around his wrist in a vice like grip keeping his hand in place. Tears stung his eyelids as he struggled to not cry out against the pain. Someone was reaching into his chest cavity and ripping his heart out. He just knew it. He hunched his shoulders forward, caving in on himself. He could hear his breathing - shallow pants - as he tried to regain control. He swallowed hard, and felt the pain begin to subside, a deep, muscular ache taking its place. He saw the ribbon, red as Ginny’s hair, frayed and separated from him, gently unweaving itself from their bond.


Ginny saw the ribbon, too, its frayed edges causing her to feel sick to her stomach. She knew that had hurt - and despite whatever Harry said, she felt responsible. She would have to deal with the guilt later. Pushing it aside, Ginny steadied herself. Without wasting a thought, she seared the ribbon from their bond right up the middle. She fought to keep the gasp in; she had never felt anything equal to the agony shooting through her heart. She felt tears leak out of the corners of her eyes as she exhaled.


Harry’s chest ached as he breathed, watching as Ginny split the ribbon in two, leaving streamers in the darkness. He could feel her breath on his face and he realized he must have leaned closer to her. He wanted to soothe her pain, but knew he couldn’t. Now wasn’t the time. He held himself back and took a deep breath. He felt the ache begin to fade as one streamer wove its way back into his heart, expanding to fill the emptiness created by its absence. He saw the flood of color before he felt the soothing healing warmth. Harry drew a ragged breath as the pain subsided. He tried to sense if Ginny, too, felt the relief.


Ginny wove the free end of the auburn colored ribbon into Nathan and Anna’s bond. It was lighter than the ribbons so easier to follow, but Ginny knew, given time, her and Harry’s ribbon would grow as rich and deep as the others in this array it was becoming one with.


As the ribbon wove its way in, Ginny silently spoke the tracking charm, urging the ribbon to travel the bond and find the end. She watched, behind her eyelids, as the ribbon went, growing, reaching, stretching off into the distance. She had done all she could. Slowly, Ginny opened her eyes which grew damp as she took in Harry’s pale, clammy complexion.


“Harry?” she asked softly. “Are you alright?”


Harry blinked, his eyes focusing on Ginny. He nodded slowly. “Don’t ever leave me,” he said, in a ragged voice, as he unwove his fingers with hers and wrapped his arms around her, pulling her from her chair, over the space separating them and against his chest. Harry buried his face in her shoulder and inhaled her fresh scent, his trembling hand stoking her hair. “Don’t ever leave me,” he repeated.


+++++


Nathan turned from the kitchen sink as the door to the office opened and Harry and Ginny emerged. Ginny smiled encouragingly at him. Nathan tried to return the smile but failed. He glanced at Harry. His heart constricted from guilt at the sight of Harry’s pale and shaken expression. Nathan opened his mouth to apologize, but his mind went blank as his eyes flicked down to the ring Ginny held in her hand. He rubbed the empty place on his finger where it should be with his thumb. Ginny watched the movement and instinctively reached for Harry’s hand.


“I’m sorry, Professor Borgin,” Ginny said quietly. “I have to keep this with me.”


“I know, Ginny,” Nathan smiled sadly.


“I’ll take good care of it,” she assured him.


“I need to go see Professor Dumbledore,” Nathan said, running his hand through his hair, “and I am sure you two have some revising to do. I won’t keep you any longer.”


“I will tell you as soon as I know anything,” Ginny said, stepping into the corridor.


“My door will be open,” Nathan said, closing the door to the flat behind them.


“I know,” Ginny replied softly, as she and Harry fell into step beside him.


+++++



Ginny rubbed her forearms, trying to chase away the chill deep in her bones. Her senses were filled with the smell of damp earth that held the secrets of generations past. She blinked but couldn’t see. It was dark. It must be night. She put her hand out and felt cold dirt “ in front of her, behind her, below her. Her teeth began to chatter. She pushed off the ground she seemed to be sitting on and hit her head on the ceiling. Dislodged crumbles of dirt and pebble rained down upon her. Tightness crept across her chest. She sensed another being, a small spark, move as the claustrophobia sunk in.


Ginny took a steadying breath, her fingers grasping for the warm gold band on the chain around her neck, her mind wandering through a semi-conscious state. She reached out to grab hold of what her dreams were telling her. She sensed a meaning just out of grasp, a sense of wonder and worshipfulness. She saw the sun and the moon and felt the yearnings for answers larger than herself. She wanted to follow, to go to where the ribbons beckoned. She tried to move but all she felt was cold, hard, damp dirt. She lashed out; frustrated that she couldn’t see more. Someone cried out in pain.


“Ginny, wake up! Ow! Ginny, wake up!”


Ginny sat straight up in bed, her pajamas sticking to her sweaty skin. Anxiously she looked around, trying to get her bearings, her hand tightly closed around the warm, gold band she wore on the chain around her neck.


“Ginny! Are you alright?”


Ginny turned her head. Joanna was standing by the side of her bed, her hand pressed to the side of her face.


“Yeah,” Ginny replied dazed. “I’m alright. Anna is…”


“You dreamt of Anna? Do you know where she is?” Joanna asked eagerly, sitting on the edge of Ginny’s bed.


“Not really,” Ginny answered confused, massaging her forehead with her fingers. “It was dark. Cold and dark. And there was a lot of dirt.”


Joanna dropped her hand from the side of her face to the bedspread. “Cold, dark and dirty. Sounds underground.”


Ginny leaned forward. “Did I do that?” she asked, pointing at the scratches which were beginning to bead with blood on Joanna’s face.


“You’d make a fine cat,” Joanna commented, pressing the back of her hand to her cheek.


“Oh, Joanna, I’m so sorry,” Ginny apologized.


“Don’t worry about me,” Joanna said standing up. “You need to go tell Professor Borgin.”


“Right!” Ginny folded back her blankets and swung her legs over the side of her bed.


“Here,” Joanna tossed Ginny a pair of house shoes. “Do you want me to come with you?”


“No,” Ginny shook her head, slipping on the house shoes, “I’m going to go get Harry.”


“Good luck,” Joanna wished as she climbed back into her bed.


Ginny threw her dressing gown around her shoulders and tied the belt as she hurried out of her room. The soles of her shoes thwacked the stone as she jogged down the steps to the girls’ dormitories. She smiled as she felt a familiar pull from beyond the last step. Looking down, she saw Harry looking expectantly up.


“Did you see something?” he asked.


“She’s alive,” Ginny confirmed, her hand encompassing Nathan’s wedding band. “She’s somewhere underground, I think.”


“Let’s go tell Nathan,” Harry said, grabbing Ginny’s hand and heading toward the portrait hole.


“Wait, Harry,” Ginny pulled back. “Do we need the Invisibility Cloak?”


“Not tonight,” Harry answered determinedly. “I’m Head Boy. You’re a Prefect. Snape is gone. We have information that will help find Anna. No one will stop us tonight.”


“All good points,” Ginny agreed.


Minutes later, Harry and Ginny stood in front of Nathan and Anna’s flat. Harry raised his hand to knock but before he could, the door flew open. Still dressed in his teaching robes, Nathan glared at them, his hair mussed, his reddened eyes rimmed with purple smudges.


“You know something?” he barked hoarsely.


Involuntarily, Ginny stepped closer to Harry. The movement cut through Nathan’s frantic fog. He deflated slightly and stepped backward into his flat. Yawning and looking as if he had just awoken, Bill stepped up to the door Nathan had left open.


“Hey, Ginny, Harry,” Bill greeted sleepily.


“Why are you still here?” Ginny asked as she stepped inside.


“I thought Nathan might like the company.” Bill stretched. “Come on in,” he motioned.


As he followed Ginny into the sitting room, Harry had the feeling he had walked into Dumbledore’s office. The tables, shelves and fireplace mantle were crammed with every different whizzing, whirring contraption imaginable. Harry recognized several of them as having been on Anna’s desk. What space wasn’t covered by the dark detectors, was covered with half filled tea cups and tea pots.


“I’m sorry,” Nathan apologized quietly behind them. “I know this must look like I’ve gone completely off the deep end,” he waved lamely at the instruments. “Somehow the activity made me feel as if something was happening, like I was doing something. But then, you haven’t come to check on my mental state,” Nathan finished.


“I had a dream,” Ginny said. “Anna is someplace dark. It’s cold and there’s dirt all around her. She and the baby “ they both seem fine.”


Nathan swallowed and nodded. “She’s underground.”


Ginny nodded. “It felt like a tunnel.


Nathan leaned back on his heels and looked at the ceiling, blinking rapidly.


“And, this is odd, but I got the sense that she’s someplace where something else happens,” Ginny continued.


“What do you mean?” Bill asked.


“Well, it was if the air was filled with ideas or beliefs,” Ginny tried to explain.


“That can happen in tombs,” Bill nodded and looked quickly at Nathan. “Not that Anna is in a tomb, and if she was, she certainly would be able to take care of herself.”


“You’re rambling, Bill,” Nathan commented, flashing him a small, tired grateful smile. “What kind of beliefs, Ginny?”


“I don’t know,” Ginny shook her head. “They seemed positive “ does that make sense?”


“Yes, it does,” Nathan said. “It means she’s probably someplace associated with good things as opposed to…”


“Not,” Bill finished for him. “Any idea where this place was?”


Ginny shook her head dejectedly.


“It has to be somewhat close,” Nathan mused. “Tracking charms can take days, and this came back in a matter of hours.”


“I just wish I knew more,” Ginny sighed.


“You will, Ginny,” Nathan said, patting her on the shoulder. “Tracking charms often come in bursts.”


“Should we tell Dumbledore?” Harry asked.


Nathan sighed, his eyes following the patterns above his head. “He knows, but we really don’t have much to go on. There’s no concrete proof Anna was kidnapped by Narcissa Malfoy. Order members are working on it…” Nathan’s voice trailed off.


“Well, we know Anna was kidnapped by her,” Ginny argued.


“And if Narcissa Malfoy has her,” Harry continued thoughtfully, “where would she take her?”


“You know,” Bill offered, “I’ve never been under the impression that Narcissa Malfoy was the driving force in the Malfoy family.”


“Meaning?” Nathan asked.


“Well, I mean, I don’t see her as doing a lot of her own thinking,” Bill explained. “Not to mention, she is wanted by the Ministry.”


“Which would mean she would go with what she knows is easy and safe for her,” Nathan said catching on.


“And who else knows what she knows?” Harry asked rhetorically.


“We can’t exactly interrogate a student based on rumor,” Nathan observed.


“No, you can’t, can you,” Ginny replied, a sly smile spreading across her face as she turned to meet Bill’s gaze.


Bill sat still for a moment as the cobwebs left his mind. A matching Weasley grin began to spread across his face as he started to nod. He stood up tucking his shirt in his pants and reaching for his robes. “I’ll be back,” he said, heading toward the door.


“Wait “ Bill!” Nathan reached out to try to grab his robes.


“No, Nathan, better you don’t know,” Bill said over his shoulder.


Nathan whirled back to face Harry and Ginny who sat there, hand in hand, trying to look as innocent as possible. “I really don’t want to know, do I?” he asked.


Harry shook his head. “It’s better that way, really,” he grinned, standing up.


Ginny let Harry pull her up beside him. She smiled encouragingly at Nathan. “Don’t worry, Professor Borgin.”


“You know, Ginny,” Nathan said, opening the door for her and Harry, “it’s probably time you start calling me Nathan. Especially if you’re about to break several school rules on my behalf.”


Ginny giggled, a reaction springing from the truth of that statement and the fact they were making progress. “I’ll work on that,” she promised.


“Good night, you two,” Nathan waved before shutting his door. Leaning against it, he closed his eyes and concentrated on the clicks and whirs coming from the family room. Even with the noise the flat seemed quiet “ and empty. Nathan wandered into the bedroom and fell onto the bed. He curled up into a ball, blindly reaching for Anna’s pillow to press to his face. As he inhaled the familiar scent that still made his stomach jump, Nathan succumbed to slumber.


+++++


“Yo! Fred! George! Wake up, you lazy gits!”


Bill heard the grumbles of disrupted sleep as he strode purposefully through the flat the twins shared above their shop.


“Come on! Time to rise and shine,” Bill crowed cheerfully. With a wave of his wand, the flat lit up bright as mid day.


“Oy! Fred! Turn that off!”


“Wasn’t me! You turn it off!”


“It was me and I need you two up. Now!” Bill ordered. A summoning charm brought two sets of blankets to Bill followed by a stream of words that would have probably shocked him if he hadn’t taught most of them to his brothers in the first place. A wizard learned a lot of interesting things when he spent the majority of his life underground.


“Here, throw these on,” Bill said, directing various sets of clothing toward the twins.


“Bill, it’s midnight ““


“No, Fred, it’s past midnight.”


“Right, George.” Fred poked his head out of his room, wobbling as he tried to shove a leg into a pair of jeans. “What in Merlin’s sake are you doing here?”


“Is this about Anna?” George asked from across the hall, pulling a jumper over his vertical hair.


“Yes “ in a way,” Bill nodded.


“What do you need?” Fred asked, alert and ready to help.


“Something to make a Ferret talk,” Bill replied.


“Ferret?” George repeated, stepping up next to Fred. The twins grinned at each other. “Just talk?”


++++++


Hermione folded up her copy of the The Daily Prophet and tucked it under the rim of her plate. Picking up her fork, she stabbed a bit of sausage and studied it. Somewhere between the pages of the paper, she had lost her appetite. It was growing increasingly difficult to go about daily life here in the castle when just outside there was a war going on. Setting her fork down and folding her hands in her lap, Hermione let her eyes wander up and down the tables in the Great Hall. Hardly a day went by when she was not stopped by another set of parents anxiously asking where they could find their student’s head of house. She tried to reassure them their children were safe here, but it was hard to do when the mothers and fathers looked at her as if she, too, were a mere child. And she couldn’t find it in herself to blame them.


Hermione ignored the twinge of guilt she felt as she thought about her own parents. She had exploited their trust in her responsible nature. She knew her mum and dad would have been here long ago had she been more honest with them about the situation. Her place was here, though, helping the professors, supporting Harry and Ginny, and being with Ron who was sitting next to her.


“You alright?” Ron asked quietly.


Hermione nodded and flashed him a small smile. “Just the paper.”


“You could stop reading that, you know,” he said, reaching out to squeeze her hand.


“No, I can’t,” Hermione replied, her back bone stiffening. “It’s what is going on. We must stay informed!”


“Hermione, you know The Daily Prophet spins everything to fit the way they want it to,” Ron said, spearing a sausage.


“Not so much since Joanna’s dad took over as acting Minister of Magic,” Hermione argued, glancing up as Harry settled onto the bench across the table from them. “Hi, Harry.”


“What’s Joanna’s dad done?” Harry asked, pulling the eggs closer.


“He’s cleaned up the paper,” Ron said, reaching for the pumpkin juice.


“He has?”


“He just hasn’t been doing so many things that need spinning,” Hermione explained. “It makes for better reporting.”


“I love pumpkin juice, don’t you?” Ron commented pointedly, pouring himself his second goblet full.


“Nothing better,” Harry agreed, grinning at Hermione’s disgruntled expression at the change of the subject.


“He did it, then?” Ron asked.


Harry grinned and nodded.


Hermione leaned over the table. “Harry, I just hope you have shown Dobby how much you appreciate all he has done for you this year,” she whispered, glancing over at Ron. “Don’t roll your eyes at me, Ronald. Dobby has stuck his neck out for Harry several times ““


“And he loves to do it,” Ron argued. “There isn’t anything he’d like to do more than help Harry Potter, especially if it means pulling one over on Malfoy.”


“Shh,” Hermione cautioned, looking around. “You don’t need to get him in trouble!”


“Hermione, Dobby wants to help,” Harry started.


“Yes, I know he wants to help,” Hermione shot back. “But you can’t keep asking him to do your dirty work and not give him something in return!”


“Hermione, he loves doing Harry’s dirty work!” Ron exclaimed.


“Nice move, Ron,” Ginny said approvingly as she sat down next to Harry.


Hermione cast Ginny a suspicious glance. “What do you mean, ‘nice move’?”


“You haven’t seen Dobby?” Ginny asked, leaning over to give Harry a kiss.


“No,” Hermione replied slowly.


“He’s wearing one of Ron’s old maroon Christmas jumpers. How’d you change the R to a D, though? I thought Mum had charmed the yarn so you couldn’t change it after what Fred and George spelled on Charlie’s jumper that one year.”


“It was one Mum made the year before that,” Ron explained.


“What did Charlie’s jumper say?” Harry asked intrigued.


“You gave Dobby a jumper?” Hermione echoed.


“Yeah,” Ron answered distractedly. “The jumper changed colors with Charlie’s moods and would shout out appro ““


Ron’s sentence was cut off by a very solid kiss from his girlfriend.


“I hate it when they do that,” Ginny sighed from across the table.


Harry chuckled. “I know what you mean.”


“Hey, look,” Ginny said, tapping her finger on the table in the direction of the Slytherins.


Harry looked up. Draco was setting his goblet of pumpkin juice on the table.


“Damn,” Ginny swore under her breath as her eyes followed Pansy Parkinson’s hand.


Together, Harry and Ginny watched Pansy lean into Malfoy’s shoulder, reach out, grasp Malfoy’s goblet and lift it to her lips, her eyes never leaving Malfoy’s.


“I think I’m going to be sick,” Ginny complained, pushing her plate away.


“It’s no worse than what we have to put up with you and Harry,” Ron argued indignantly as he straightened his robes.


“Not you,” Ginny hissed. “Them.”


“Oh, dear,” Hermione said, as Pansy took another sip. “I suppose you’ll just have to do it to both of them.”


“Right,” Harry said, swinging his legs over the bench. “Come on, Gin. I want to make sure we’re waiting for him “ them “ out there.”


Ginny nodded, grabbed some toast and stood up. She slung her bag over her shoulder.


“Let’s go, Ron,” Hermione said, standing up, too. “I don’t think we want to miss this.”


“No, I don’t think we do,” Ron agreed, grabbing one last sausage on his way out of the hall.


+++++


As Harry stood in the doorway of the empty classroom, he almost burst out laughing at the sight unfolding before him. If the purpose of this entire prank was not weighing heavily on his mind, he would have. He squashed the small twinge of guilt over doing something like this to Malfoy so soon after loosing his father. But then again, Draco had worn his mourning as if it were a badge of honor. Like everything else about Malfoy, Harry had found the attitude disgusting. So now, as he watched Malfoy and Pansy try to determine exactly what had happened to them, Harry settled on a satisfied smirk. It seemed fitting.


Five minutes previously, Pansy had emerged from the Great Hall, walking backwards, leading Draco with her flirtatious banter into the middle of the entrance hall. She had tilted her head to the side, glanced over her shoulder and held out her hand. Harry’s stomach had turned as he watched Malfoy smile in return, take her hand and allow her to pull him into an empty classroom.


Ginny touched his elbow. Harry glanced down at her and nodded. In step, they followed, silently pushing the door open. Pansy was tugging Draco toward the back of the room. Harry leveled his wand. Pansy stopped “ or was stopped - as her back hit something solid yet invisible. Her head flung back as she tried to regain her balance. She cried out and dropped her books. Pansy lifted her hands to the back of her skull to rub at the quickly forming bump. Pansy’s elbow caught Draco in his right eye as he walked forward, not paying attention to the fact she had stopped moving. He yelped in pain as he stumbled back over Pansy’s books, his arms flailing to catch himself. His hands slapped something solid behind him before his body did. Draco’s heel caught the edge of Pansy’s Charms book and slipped out from under him. With a hard thud, he fell to the ground.


Harry raised his eyebrows at Ginny. “Ready?”


“Oh, very,” Ginny said determinedly as she stepped forward.


Harry and Ginny stopped in front of the invisible barrier.


“Potter!” Malfoy hissed, pressing the palm of his hand to his eye. “You did this.”


“Did what?” Harry asked, as Ron and Hermione stepped up to join them.


Malfoy took a step toward him. His face hit the invisible wall with a ‘thwack’. Ron cringed in disgust as Malfoy stepped back, leaving a smear of blood from his nose hanging in what appeared to be mid-air.


“What have you done to us?” Pansy sneered, reaching out to grab onto Ginny but only managing to claw at solid nothingness.


“Sorry, Pansy,” Ginny answered, “we didn’t want you. We wanted Malfoy.”


“Where is she?” Harry growled.


“I don’t know,” Draco replied, wiping the blood on the sleeve of his robe.


“He’s telling the truth,” Ron commented.


“Shut up, Weasel,” Pansy spat. “Draco doesn’t need a Mudblood lover helping him out.”


Ron stepped forward, ready to retort when he felt Hermione’s hand on his arm. His words died on his lips as he watched Pansy’s eyes widen in horror. Her hands began to grab at her robes as the clasps came undone.


“What’s happening?” Pansy shrieked as her robes fell to the floor.


“We didn’t do that,” Ginny replied honestly. “You did that on your own.”


“She did not!” Malfoy barked.


A high pitched peep emitted from Pansy as her hand flew to her mouth. Her eyes wide, she watched as Draco, too, lost his robe.


“POTTER! You are going to be expelled this time,” Draco shouted, ducking as his tie took on a life of its own. Draco gagged as it pulled tight for a second. He grabbed wildly for it as the knot came undone and it joined his robe on the floor.


“Sorry, Malfoy,” Ron grinned widely. “It doesn’t seem like you’re going to get that wish.”


“Get us out of here,” Pansy ordered.


“Can’t,” Ginny shrugged.


“Yes, you can,” Pansy argued. Her tie joined her robe at her feet. “What is happening, Draco?” she cried.


“Shut it, Pansy,” Malfoy spat.


“Where is she?” Harry repeated.


“I don’t know who you are talking about,” Draco growled. Buttons flew as his shirt ripped open. He made an attempt to grab it but it floated out of his reach.


“Oh, yes, you do,” Hermione said, stepping forward and pining Pansy with a disgusted look.


Harry’s hands fisted as he held Malfoy’s gaze. He reigned in his anger and frustration. He knew that was exactly what Malfoy wanted. He wasn’t going to give it to him.


“Where is she?” Harry repeated coldly.


“She?” Draco drawled, glancing down at his trousers. Harry almost grinned as he saw Draco relax slightly at the sight of them still on his legs. “Oh, you mean that excuse for a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor’s wife?”


“Yes, that’s who we mean,” Ginny replied evenly.


“I do-“


“Think carefully, Malfoy,” Hermione cautioned, her eyes traveling to Draco’s belt.


“I don’t know exactly,” Draco replied, his hands flying to his buckle. Nothing happened.


“Then tell us where she could be,” Harry ordered.


“She’s in the Astronomy Tower!” Pansy shrieked as the buttons on her blouse ricocheted off the walls of their prison. She frantically grabbed for her blouse but it evaded her, flying up to the invisible ceiling and sticking there next to Malfoy’s shirt, just out of reach. “Draco! Do something!”


“Here!” Malfoy barked, jumping up to get his shirt. But, as if magnetized, his shirt joined Pansy’s on the ceiling.


Pansy crossed her arms across her chest. Her eyes turned wild as she looked around the classroom. It was empty. She opened her mouth to scream for help.


“Don’t bother,” Ginny shook her head. “No one can help you. They don’t know how.”


“What do you mean?” Pansy spat.


“It’s a form of an Entrapment Charm,” Ginny smiled sweetly. “They aren’t taught here.”


Pansy’s nostrils flared and her eyes flashed fire. “What is happening to our clothes?” she ground out.


“Well, that is all your own doing,” Ginny explained. “It seems that Draco’s pumpkin juice might have had a little added extra something in it this morning.”


“You drugged me!” Pansy screeched at Draco. The clasp of her skirt came undone.


“I did not!” Draco argued. “See!” His trousers were still firmly in place.


“I don’t care,” Pansy hissed in Draco’s face, one hand covering her bra, the other attempting to keep her skirt around her middle. “Just tell them what they want to know before we end up starkers in here!”


“You have no hold on me!” Draco shouted in Pansy’s face. His hands flung forward as the belt of his trousers unbuckled itself. Draco pitched forward in an attempt to grab his pants before they fell to his ankles. He was too late. He tried to pull them up, but they seemed cemented to his shoes.


“Huh,” Hermione commented, cocking her head to the side.


“Sod off, Mudblood!” Draco bellowed, straightening up.


“Draco!” Pansy whined.


“Fine!” Malfoy shouted. “She’s probably somewhere in Wiltshire!” Draco covered himself, afraid he would lose either his t-shirt or briefs.


“Where in Wiltshire?” Harry growled.


“Malfoy Manor is in Wiltshire,” Ron stated.


“She’s not at home,” Malfoy spat. “We’re in mourning and my mother is being hunted by that excuse of a government we call a Ministry.”


“Where then?”


“I don’t know!”


“Yes, you do!” Harry barked.


“Wait, Harry,” Hermione broke in, pulling Harry a step away from Malfoy and Pansy. Ginny and Ron joined them. “What else is in Wiltshire?”


“How would I know?” Harry retorted, glancing over his shoulder to glare at Draco.


“Harry, Stonehenge is in Wiltshire,” Hermione explained quietly.


“So?”


“Ginny, you said you sensed Anna was in a tunnel someplace tied to strong beliefs, right?” Ginny nodded and Hermione continued. “Stonehenge was built to worship the sun and moon. Ginny saw the sun and the moon. The ancients believed it to be a sacred place of rebirth, where the earth met both the sun and the moon. There was no greater place to be buried than at this meeting place, where it was believed their souls would be reborn with each daybreak. I think Anna is in the catacombs underneath Stonehenge.”


“There are catacombs underneath Stonehenge?” Harry repeated disbelievingly.


Hermione nodded. “They’re called the Solstice Tombs. They’re not well known in the Muggle world and it’s heavily guarded by the Ministry because they are underneath such a dramatic Muggle artifact.”


Harry looked at Ginny who looked back, her eyes wide. She nodded.


“We need to tell Nathan,” Harry said, grabbing Ginny’s hand.


“You can’t leave us here!” Pansy screeched.


“Yes, we can,” Ginny grinned cheekily.


“Potter! Let us out of here!” Malfoy yelled.


“Can’t,” Harry shrugged, backing away. “I haven’t learned the counter charm yet.”


“Draco,” Pansy said, tugging on his t-shirt. “Draco, quick! Class is starting soon! They’ll see us!”


“No, they won’t,” Draco spat. Suddenly, his right foot flew out in front of him as his shoe was flung to the ceiling next to his shirt.


“Oh, we’re sorry,” Ron apologized, “is it the Slytherin Muggle Studies class now? It must be if the two of you are in here.”


“Just think - your housemates here,” Hermione observed mildly, “and you “ like that.”


“How do we get our clothes back?” Pansy yelled in frustration.


“Tell the truth,” Ginny shrugged as she followed Harry out of the room.


“Tell the truth? Tell the truth!” Pansy stomped her foot in frustration.


“Yeah, Pansy,” Ron taunted, as he stepped back to let Theodore Nott and Millicent Bulstrode enter. “For example, is Draco the best kisser in Slytherin?”


Ron whirled around and stumbled into Blaise Zabini who had become as still as one of the school statues.


“Zabini,” Ron nodded, swerving around Crabbe and Goyle who had formed a solid wall of thickness behind their housemate.


Malfoy stood lopsided, his hands on his hips, tapping his left shoe on the stone floor. Pansy visibly swallowed, her eyes darting to her shirt.


“Oh, for Merlin’s sake, no!” she cried, “you are by far not the best kisser in Slytherin!” A flurry of white and Pansy found her arms forced not into her shirt, but Draco’s. “What?” she exclaimed, as she tried to close the front over her bra. “This isn’t mine! This doesn’t fit!”


“I’m not?” Draco growled, his eyes flashing jealous anger. “Who’s better?”


“I don’t kno “ ah!” Pansy’s left foot flew up as her shoe was sucked to the ceiling.


“Yes, you do,” Draco accused.


“Oh, fine, Blaise is a much better kisser than you ever will be!” Pansy yelped as she was flung backward, her right leg lifting to fit into Draco’s trousers, then her left. Gasps followed her as she bounced around the cell, the charmed pants trying to fit over her hips.


Blaise paled visibly and tried to hide behind Crabbe.


“That’s not true!” Draco’s left shoe landed next to his right above his head.


“How would you know?” Pansy retorted, struggling to hold Draco’s trousers up and his shirt closed.


“Because I’ve had plenty of girls tell me I kiss just fine,” Draco sneered.


“Like who?” Pansy asked disbelievingly.


“Daphne Greengrass!” Draco shouted just before he found himself flipped upside down in mid air and Pansy’s skirt sliding up his legs. Landing on his feet, Draco made a move to grab the skirt which was falling to the floor.


Daphne hid behind Goyle.


“You know, I kind of hate to miss that,” Ron commented, a shriek and the grumblings of larger disputes following him as Hermione pulled him toward the Grand Staircase.


“Don’t worry,” Harry grinned at him over his shoulder. “They’ll still be there when we get back.”


“Long live Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes,” Ron toasted his brothers with an imaginary goblet as he ran down the corridor.


++++



“Where is she, Severus?” Voldemort hissed.


“I do not know, my lord,” Snape answered, as he pressed his left hand to his chest. It really wasn’t a hand anymore. More like a claw, shriveled and folded in on itself. A useless tool for a Potions professor. Now, a constant reminder from his master of his failings. As if he wasn’t constantly reminded of such things. At least he had been loyal, which was more than he could say for some.


“You sent word to Wormtail?”


“Yes, my Lord, I ““


“You told him to bring her to me? That when he was done with her, he was to bring her to me?”


“Yes, my Lord. Perhaps they have had problems getting here undetected. Or Pettigrew had…issues.”


“You sound angry, Severus,” Voldemort observed.


“I am not angry, my lord. I am merely concerned as you are. Too much time has passed.”


Thudding footsteps sounded in the hall and the door flung open. Red faced and sweating, Peter Pettigrew stumbled into the study. Swiping his sleeve across his face, Wormtail doubled over, his hands resting on his knees to keep himself upright, a trail of dried blood running down his cheek from a deep, oozing cut on his skull.


“Where is she?” Voldemort hissed.


“She overpowered me. I took her to the cottage. I guarded her. She got away. I don’t know how long ago. When I woke up, I was in the cottage alone,” Wormtail panted.


“She did not have a wand!” Snape growled.


“Where did she go, Wormtail?” Voldemort asked, his voice oozing misleading patience.


“She left by the path in the back,” Pettigrew huffed.


“She is an idiot not to come here,” Snape said into Voldemort’s ear. “Perhaps the rumors are true. She has Borgin’s wife. She is seeking revenge.”


Snape watched his master standing still in the silence of the study. The Dark Lord’s eyes burned crimson. Snape’s eyes flicked down to the movement at Voledmort’s side. He was clenching and unclenching his fists. Snape glanced back up at Voldemort’s face. His breath caught in his throat. His master’s face cracked. He was…smiling. Snape exhaled, his senses flaring, adrenaline beginning to flow.


“She is a fool,” Snape sneered quietly, “much like her husband.”


“Where did do you say her trail went, Wormtail?” Voldemort breathed.


“I followed her trail into the tunnels, my Lord.”


“I do not tolerate disobedient fools.”


++++


Harry, Ginny, Ron and Hermione stared at Nathan. Nathan stared at them right back. “The tunnels,” he repeated. “Alright,” he said, stepping back from his desk and running his hand through his hair. “We need a map.”


“I don’t suppose they sell them at the souvenir shop, do they?” Ron asked hopefully.


“No,” Nathan answered slowly thinking, “the Ministry has one.”


“The Ministry has mapped the tunnels under Stonehenge?” Hermione repeated.


“Well, no, not technically. They hired someone to do it,” Nathan explained distractedly, his mind racing.


“Who? Why isn’t it written up anywhere? I mean ““


“The right people “ and some of the wrong people “ know the rumored locations of the entrances. However, they are guarded by Muggle repelling charms and special wards. If everyone knew the tunnels existed, Hermione,” Nathan explained patiently, “everyone and their uncle would be down there. It was all done very hush-hush about twenty five years ago and I doubt much has changed down there since then.”


“How do you know this?” Hermione asked.


“The tunnels were mapped by Jonathon and Martha Patterson,” Nathan replied. “Anna’s fourth year here at Hogwarts. Her parents were excavating a pile of rubble in Wiltshire. The Ministry found out and asked them to map the tunnels while they were at it.”


“Really?” Hermione said skeptically, her eyes narrowed.


“Oh, Hermione! Lay off the poor man!” Ron admonished.


Hermione flushed as she realized she’d been interrogating Nathan. “I’m sorry, Profess ““


“Don’t worry about it,” Nathan waved, walking around his desk. “Dumbledore isn’t in the castle. McGonagall needs to stay here. We need to go.“ Nathan reached down into the bottom desk draw for a piece of parchment. He scribbled a few lines and folded it over, tucking it under his tea mug.


“Ron?” Nathan asked standing up.


“Yeah?” Ron said, standing a little straighter.


“How much do you trust Percy?”


Ron stilled as he thought about that question. He blinked. He wrinkled his nose. He licked his lips. He nodded. “I trust him with my life.”


“Good,” Nathan said, holding out his wand, “because I’m trusting him with my wife’s.”


“He won’t let you down,” Ron replied.


“No, I doubt any Weasley ever would,” Nathan said solemnly.



++++


A/N “ Ah…well, I have good news and bad news. The good news is I have finished the big final battle which spans the following two chapters. The bad news? It is still with my beta Anya whose wonderful mom is still letting her read the chapters on her computer. Go Mom!

And on the note of my betas…my many thanks to Anya (and her mom) for catching my missing words, my added words and my words that aren’t words.

To wvchemteach, too, who has suggested Malfoy lose his pants on more than one occasion “ hopefully this fit the bill.


To Bogus7 - Good luck on those finals!!!


This chapter and the next couple are tough chapters. They took absolutely forever to write and I almost chucked the whole thing over them. They just didn’t flow and that always makes me worried they are total clunkers. And I know the minute I post it, I’ll think of someway to make it better…isn’t that how it always works?

Happy holidays, everyone! Hopefully, the final battle will be up soon!

Take care -
Circino Amplexor by kjpzak
A/N - Hello again! This chapter is a really long one. That being said, I've had to split it up into two parts. So, the cliffhanger at the end is not my fault! :) As soon as Part I posts, I'll put Part II in the queue.



Circino Amplexor




"Molly?” Arthur Weasley called from the sitting room. “Molly? Is there something wrong with Mr. Tibbles? He’s been pacing in front of the clock and mewling ““


“For a good ten minutes now. I know, Arthur,” Molly said. She moved her basket of folded towels to her hip and shook her finger at the cat. “I fed you. I fed you an hour ago. I’m not feeding you again. You’ll end up a spoiled paper weight ““


Molly’s scolding abruptly stopped. Arthur heard a dull thud and looked up from his book.


“Molly? Are you alright?” he asked. His wife wasn’t known for stopping mid-sentence. When no reply came, he pushed himself out of his chair and stepped into the kitchen.

He stopped at the sight of his wife, her mouth open, her face pale, the laundry basket, now empty, hanging from her white-knuckled hand. Half-folded towels covered the floor but she didn’t seem to notice. Her eyes were focused on the face of the Weasley family clock.


Arthur followed her gaze and swallowed hard.


“I’ll contact Albus,” he said gravely and reached for his wand.


+++++



Ginny stamped her feet on the ground in an effort to keep warm. It might be spring “ almost summer, in fact “ but that didn’t make the night air any more comfortable. She noticed she wasn’t the only one in the group shivering slightly. Hermione was rubbing her hands up and down her arms, too. Ginny overheard her mutter something to Ron about wishing she had brought her gloves. Ron wrapped his arm around her shoulders, drew her close and suggested she just transfigure something. Behind them, Neville and Joanna sat huddled close together on a rock, their eyes turned upward scanning the skies. Luna stood nearby, her gloved hand pointing out constellations “ some documented, others not.


A meter away, Tonks tugged her cloak closer as she listened to Remus. Bill held Fleur’s hand in one and extended the other to Lupin in greeting. Fred and George were sorting out supplies such as light sources. Nathan paced. Ginny grinned. Nathan always paced when he thought. All you had to do was take a class of his to realize he was at his best when he was moving. Plus, pacing kept him warm. Thinking this was a good idea, Ginny was just about to copy him when Harry approached.


“What’s up?” she asked, welcoming the warmth of his hug as he wrapped his arms and cloak around her.


“We’re just waiting on Percy,” Harry replied. He placed a soft kiss on the top of Ginny’s head. “Bill says these tunnels are a mess. It would be too easy to get lost in them permanently. We’ll wait a bit longer. After that…” Harry’s voice trailed off into the darkness.


“It’s too bad the tracking charm isn’t more specific,” Ginny sighed.


“Hey, don’t worry about it,” Harry gave her a squeeze. “The bond led us here. You were brilliant.”


“Thanks,” Ginny nodded into his jumper. “I just wish I could do more.”


“So are we just waiting?” Ron asked as he wandered over with Hermione.


“For a little while longer,” Harry nodded. “Bill said we need to give Percy time enough to find the map, get the map and then get here. So…probably another half hour.”


“An eternity for some,” Hermione murmured, her eyes trailing after Nathan as he wore the grass down.


++++++


Milton Blevins massaged the muscles in his neck. He could not even put into words how ready he was to hand this job over to someone else. In the Department of Magical Cooperation, people wanted to work things out. In this office, people just liked to tell you how it should be “ or shouldn’t be “ and then expected you, as Minister of Magic, to make it so. Milton liked cooperation and there was very little cooperation in this office.


Milton groaned as his fingers found the knot of stress living just under his skin. He had received word that morning that Amelia Bones had been found held captive in a home up north. She was dehydrated and disorientated, but the Healers in St. Mungos thought she would make a full recovery and be back to work in a few weeks. Milton had let out an undignified “Whoop!” drawing some very disapproving glances. He hadn’t cared. Milton glanced up as a shadow passed over his desk.


“Percy? Is that you?”


Percy cringed. He hadn’t thought about checking to see if the Minister was still here. It was after eight. Fudge never used to work this late. He stopped in the doorway of Blevins’ office.


“Good evening, Minister.”


“You’re here rather late. Isn’t it about time you headed home?” Milton asked, dropping his hands and surveying the state of disarray that was his desk. “Did you need something from me before you go?”


“Uh, no, sir, no, I don’t need anything,” Percy replied nervously.


Milton cocked an eyebrow at his assistant. Working with Percy over the past months, Milton had made a few observations. Percy was hard working, dedicated, loyal and intelligent. Percy wasn’t nervous.


“Percy, neither one of us would be here unless there was a good reason.”


“No, sir, I’m “ I’m just running late,” Percy replied honestly trying to assure him.


Milton shrugged. He was too tired to pursue this. “Fine,” he said and stood up behind his desk and stretched. Reaching down, he picked up his satchel and shoved some papers into it. He buckled it and slung it over his shoulder. “Don’t stay too late, Percy.”


“I won’t, sir,” Percy nodded, sat down at his desk and made a show of dipping his quill in his inkpot as the Minister left the office.


Percy waited a full two minutes, his quill poised over his parchment, dribbles of ink forming small puddles on it. His heart pounded as he checked his watch before quietly pushing himself back from the desk. He tip-toed to the office door and poked his head out. The corridor was empty. Cautiously, Percy headed down the hallway, keeping as close to the wall as possible as if that was going to hide him from view as he made his way to level two of the Ministry.


Percy slowly pushed the door to the Department of Magical Law Enforcement open. He held his breath and scanned the main room. Aurors assigned to the second shift were working diligently at their desks. Several of them looked up and nodded at Percy, recognizing him from meetings with the Minister. As their attention returned to their work, Percy breathed a sigh of relief. They didn’t think it odd for him to be here.


“Weasley!”


Percy jumped and his heart froze. He swallowed hard and turned to face Lewis Fielding.


“Fielding,” Percy greeted breathlessly.


“What are you doing here so late?” Lewis asked as he fastened the clasp of his cloak.


“Uh, I, ah, came to get the latest inventory reports,” Percy answered.


“Oh, right,” Lewis said and pulled the door to the office open. “They’re on my desk. Get them back to me tomorrow, will you?”


“Sure thing,” Percy answered. He placed his palm flat on the office door and helped it close behind Fielding. “Sure thing,” he repeated under his breath.


Percy casually walked around the side of the room to the back and stopped in front of a small door. He glanced over his shoulder and held his breath. Sweat began to form on his upper lip. Percy exhaled and pointed his wand at the door. The locks clicked open. As silently as he could, Percy turned the knob and slipped into the closet-sized map room.


File cabinets lined the walls, leaving a small path in the middle, just large enough for a wizard to enter, light his wand, and search the appropriate open drawer. Percy ran his fingers over the labels just above the drawer handles and searched for the proper drawer. He found it at the very bottom of the dusty cabinet shoved against the back wall of the room. Judging by the stray cob webs attached to the handles, Percy guessed it wasn’t one of the more frequently used cabinets.


Holding one hand under his nose to keep from sneezing on dust, Percy knelt before the drawer and grimaced slightly as his other hand clasped the webby drawer handle. He tugged. The drawer did not move. He tugged again. Nothing. Percy leaned back on his heels. He brushed his hand off on his robes and frantically thought of what kind of charms would be put on a map drawer. He picked up his wand and tried the few he could think of. He glanced over his shoulder each time to see if the noise had attracted anyone’s attention. Several spells later, the drawer still would not budge. He looked at his watch. He was running out of time. He growled and tried another spell. Still no luck.


“Merlin’s beard!” he swore.


Percy flung his wand down in frustration and grabbed the handle with both hands. He leaned backwards and gave it a good yank.


The drawer stuck for a moment, then, with a loud, creaky scrape, finally gave way. As the drawer moved, Percy’s grip slipped and his arms flailed. He fell back into another file cabinet with a heavy thud. Eyes wide, Percy held his breath and listened. No footsteps could be heard. He exhaled in relief. His lips curled into an excited smile as he pushed himself forward again. He just might pull this off.


+++++


“Albus! Albus!”


Dumbledore looked down the corridor to see Minerva McGonagall hurrying toward him.


“Did you find them, Minerva?”


Professor McGonagall stopped before the Headmaster and struggled to catch her breath. She shook her head. “They’re gone, Albus. Have they learned nothing? They don’t just go off and leave the castle without telling anyone! Do they want to be in detention for the remainder of the year?”


“Somehow, Minerva, I’m not sure detention will do much good,” Dumbledore replied and turned toward the Grand Staircase. “Come, Minerva. Let’s check all our options.”


Together, the two most revered professors in Hogwarts hurried to the first floor. Dumbledore motioned for Professor McGonagall to enter the Defense Against the Dark Arts room first.


“This is no time for propriety, Albus!” Minerva scolded and picked up her skirts.


“There is always time for propriety, Minerva,” Dumbledore replied as he climbed the steps to Nathan’s office.


“They’re not here, Albus,” Minerva observed as she entered the office.


Dumbledore slid around Nathan’s desk, his eyes immediately finding the parchment Nathan had tucked under his tea mug. Dumbledore unfolded it and read.


“What is it, Albus?” Minerva asked in a hushed tone.


Dumbledore refolded the parchment.


“Arthur was correct,” he answered quietly.


“Well, then,” Minerva replied clearly. “We had better get going.”


“Yes, we better,” Dumbledore nodded. He slipped the parchment into his robe pocket and followed Minerva out the door.



+++++


Nathan tapped the glass on his watch. Percy had five more minutes. Every bit of his rational sense held Nathan to the clearing in the forest where they gathered. Safety dictated they wait for the map. However, if he was honest with himself, his rational side was losing ground quickly to his irrational heart which screamed at him to get going. Impatiently, Nathan’s eyes traveled over the group of people waiting.


His eyes lingered on Harry, his arms and cloak wrapped around Ginny. In all his years, Nathan had never wished to have a bond. Growing up with a mother who was bonded to Tom Riddle did that to a son. But tonight, he would have given anything to be able to close his eyes and see if Anna and their baby were alive. He blinked at the moisture gathering at the corners of his eyes and took a steadying breath.


A soft ‘Pop’ made him turn around. He held his breath as he saw moonlight reflect off a head of red hair.


“Percy,” he whispered thankfully.


“Did you get it?” Bill asked, striding past Nathan to his brother.


Percy nodded and held out the parchment.


Bill took the parchment and clapped Percy on the shoulder. “Good work.”


“I may not have a job tomorrow, though,” Percy admitted regretfully.


Bill chuckled. “It’s for a good cause, though.”


Percy sighed.


“Come on,” Bill urged. “Let’s see how we get in there.”


Bill unrolled the map and placed it on a nearby stone. His lit wand illuminated an intricate system of underground passageways below Stonehenge.


“The good news - we know where the main entrance is,” Bill proclaimed.


“The bad news?” Hermione asked.


“It’s exactly where everyone thinks it is,” Bill answered. “But then again, that probably means it’s the one Narcissa used because it is known - so that’s a good thing.”


“You’re talking in circles, Bill,” Tonks commented.


“Sorry,” Bill apologized. “The nineteen bluestones forming a horseshoe shape, here, open in the direction of the midsummer sunrise. When the sun rises over the Heel stone, it shines directly into the center of the monument, between the ends of the horseshoe, here,” Bill pointed at the map.


“So, where’s the entrance?” Hermione asked.


“Well, the Heel stone leans,” Bill explained. He placed his hands together and tilted them as a visual effect. “When it stands upright,” Bill straightened his hands, “an opening is exposed at the base.”


Hermione snorted. “I’m guessing that the leaning of the Heel stone wasn’t completely a product of time as believed by Muggles?”


Bill flashed Hermione a grin.


“Along with the Heel stone, there were four station stones originally placed around the circle,” Nathan contributed, “forming an exact rectangle with the Heel Stone. According to this, they all at one time had entrances associated with them. However, these two look to be inaccessible.”


“That would leave these two,” Bill said, holding his lit wand closer to the map to read the fine print. “Station Stones 92 and 94, according to the Muggle Maps “ oh, that was a side note from the mapmakers,” Bill said ruefully.


“Keeping in mind Anna’s pregnancy, Narcissa’s state of recovery, and the fact that Narcissa would most likely go with the popular choice,” Tonks commented, “my Galleons are on that entrance.” She pointed to the Heel Stone. “If she goes with what she knows, Narcissa and Anna are probably not far off the main passageway, so most likely in these areas.”


“Excuse me,” Joanna spoke up. “I don’t mean to ask a stupid question, but why don’t we just Apparate into the tunnels?”


“That’s actually a rather good question,” Bill answered. “The wards protecting the tunnels are very much like the wards that protect Hogwarts “ very old, very powerful and very rigid. No one can Apparate into the tunnels. This was partly due to the fact that the burial procedures for an elder involved a rather well-to-do parade to the final resting place so there was no need to Apparate. Also, it was believed that anyone who came later to pay his or her respects to the dead should use his or her time in the tunnels for reflection. A quick Apparation in was considered rather rude.”


“What about Disapparation?” Neville asked.


“Funny enough, you can Disapparate out of the tunnels but only out of two locations, those being the center of the burial chambers,” Bill explained. “The common understanding is that if a mourner had spent several hours in the tunnels getting to the appropriate chamber, he or she had had plenty of time to reflect and could leave with a clear conscience. That being said, it is believed the Disapparation ward is tied to the Heel Stone. The Heel Stone must be in place to Disapparate. If it’s moved, you’re stuck wandering the tunnels and most likely getting lost without a decent map.”


“Is it true the spirits talk to you in the tunnels?” Hermione asked thoughtfully.


Bill shrugged. “Rumor has it that yes, spirits close to the mourners who traveled the tunnels would, uh, visit them and guide them through the passageways.”


“Did the spirits belong to people who were buried in the tombs?” Hermione asked.


“Don’t know,” Bill answered honestly. “For the most part, mourners’ tales of spirits speaking to them have been chalked up to grief or hallucinations born out of delirium from wandering around down there too long.”


“That could be easily done,” Tonks whistled as she studied the map, “since, Merlin, there must be a good fifty kilometers of tunnel down there.”


“The passageways don’t go immediately to the two burial chambers, one at the east end, the other at the west,” Bill continued. “That would be too easy. The architects built them so you start out going in the direction you want to “ or toward the chamber “ then veer off under the moors, looping you around in total confusion. The path a mourner would take to the burial chamber depended on the importance of the elder. The more important the elder, the longer the path of reflection. Now, you’ll notice, all the paths intersect each other just to make things interesting. They also cross the main pathway which runs along the passageway of the sun “ east to west.”


“That’s a lot of reflection,” Joanna observed.


“And a lot of ground to cover if we’re wrong,” Ron commented.


“Then let’s be right,” Tonks said simply.


“Yeah,” Bill nodded. “Let’s be right.” Bill turned to Nathan. “You ready?”


Not entirely trusting his voice, Nathan simply nodded.


“Alright then,” Tonks said, “we’ll Apparate to here,” she indicated a spot near the Heel stone. “Joanna, are you all right side-Apparating with Neville? Hermione, can you take Luna? Good, let’s get going.”


The sounds of Apparation carried across the moor as the group relocated to the Heel Stone. As soon as his feet hit the ground, Nathan lit his wand and circled the stone.


“See anything?” Remus asked.


“Fresh dirt,” Nathan replied. He pointed to soil that appeared darker in the glow of his wand.


“Good.” Bill placed a reassuring hand on Nathan’s shoulder. “We’re going to find her. I don’t intend on breaking in another new boss anytime soon.”


“Thanks, Bill,” Nathan replied quietly.


“She’s a special one,” Bill shrugged. “And she owes me money. She said Swelf was married. He’s not. Confirmed bachelor. Took me a good forty-five minutes in that safe-box room to get the information out of him. Do you know how bad I smelled after that? My best dragon hide vest still stinks like rotten eggs. She owes me for an evening of Fleur not letting me near her.”


Nathan smiled weakly at Bill’s attempt to reassure him.


“We’re all here,” Tonks said stepping up to Bill.


“Right, then,” Bill said. “Let’s open this up.”


Bill pointed his wand at the leaning Heel stone and began to recite several spells in a language Harry did not recognize.


”It’s a Druid charm,” Ginny whispered into his ear.


“How’d you know that?” Harry whispered back impressed.


Ginny giggled. “I just heard Hermione tell Ron.”


Harry grinned at Ginny and felt the side of his face grow warm. Glancing up, he involuntarily took a step back as the Heel stone glowed white. The sound of the stone scraping against the earth was followed by the suction of dirt and rock battling for space as the stone straightened. The Heel Stone stilled and revealed an opening in the earth not much wider across than a roll of parchment.


“With a rock that size,” Ron observed, “I thought it would have been bigger.”


“For your soul, Ronald,” Luna comment seriously, “it would be.”


Hermione rolled her eyes as Ron beamed at Luna.


“Yeah,” Fred said, “you’d need the extra space for all the hot air that comes with it.”


“Wands at the ready,” Tonks called, cutting off Ron’s retort. “Lumos!”


One by one, the group descended into the hole. Fred motioned to Ginny that it was her turn. Ginny nodded and let go of Harry’s hand. She lit her wand and walked around the massive Heel stone which now balanced perfectly perpendicular to the ground.


“Careful, Ginny,” Fred held out a hand to stop her.


Ginny looked down over Fred’s arm and saw the toes of her shoes dangling precariously over the edge.


“No need to jump in,” George commented and handed her a light disk. “I’d suggest taking the stairs.”


Ginny grinned her thanks and took Fred’s offered hand. She started down the short, narrow steps into the tunnels, thankful she wasn’t claustrophobic. She shivered as the temperature dropped with each step. Hunching her shoulders in to keep them from brushing against the side walls, Ginny rubbed her hand across her heart and the tightness collecting there. Her lungs began to ache as she inhaled. She coughed on dirt. She stepped down unevenly and her heel hit a bump on the step, a rock maybe. She struggled for balance and slammed her elbows into the dirt walls, wedging herself in.


“You alright?” Harry asked from behind her.


“Yeah,” she replied, her heart in her throat. “I slipped.” She smiled as she felt a steadying hold on her elbows. “Thanks.”


“No problem,” Harry said.


Ginny carefully edged her foot downward and searched for the next step with her toes. “Harry?” she said softly.


“Yeah?”


“Is “ is everything alright? I mean, I feel like something’s off.”


“Kind of like at our registration? At the Ministry?” Harry asked. His eyes followed the bouncing wand light in front of them.


“Yeah,” Ginny said. “Exactly. I can’t put my finger on it. You don’t suppose it’s “ it’s Anna?” she finished in a whisper.


Harry shook his head. He didn’t want to voice his opinion for fear of making it real. Then he realized Ginny couldn’t see his movements and smiled. He cleared his throat and tried not to choke on the dirt hanging in the air. “No, Gin, I don’t think it’s Anna.”


Harry winced as soon as he said that. His scar tingled. When had that begun? Had he missed it?


The glow from the wands began to disappear in front of them as the steps ended and the tunnel began. A wave of cold air brushed the back of Harry’s neck.


“Stop for a sec. Close your eyes and mouths down there,” Bill’s voice came from above.


A shower of dirt accompanied a dull, scraping sound, muted by the soil. A final sucking sound and the tunnel air became still.


“And that is what it’s like to be buried alive,” Bill’s voice floated over them.


“Nice way to keep up morale, Bill,” Fred called.


“Isn’t that our job?” George bantered back.


“And I can see why,” Fred replied.


“How far down is this?” George asked.


“No idea,” Bill answered.


“Aren’t you the man with the map?” Fred asked.


“Yup, but I’m no Druid and it’s a two dimensional map.”


“He’s more of Warlock with that hair,” George commented.


“Thank you, Mum,” Bill replied sarcastically.


“I happen to love hiz hair,” Fleur piped up from below.


Ginny giggled in the darkness as she took another step down. Her foot never found the next ledge. Without warning, a force dragged her under. It was sudden and quick, springing from her heart and pulling her. Sharpness bit into her skin and scraped her arms as she fell, her head banging on the steps, her nails clawing for a hold. Ginny had no idea how long she fell, but it seemed like forever until her feet slammed into the ground. Her knees buckled underneath her and she pitched forward into the floor.


Harry cried out as a searing pain pulled at his head and his heart. Ginny’s sudden fall pulled him forward, the top of his head banging against the low ceiling. Trying to catch himself, Harry lost hold of his wand and it clattered on the steps as it fell to the bottom. His hands grasped at nothing, his wrists bruising as they bounced off the top and sides of the stair case. His feet slipped and he slid down the remaining steps on his heels. He hit the ground and fell forward.


Ginny’s mind screamed for her to get up, but she couldn’t move. It was as if an invisible force was pushing her into the earth, wanting to bury her alive without digging a hole first. Ginny sucked in air. Fire burned her lungs while she shivered from cold. Her breathing labored, she pushed herself up off the ground.


Her stomach heaved as her heart pulled. She curled her shoulders inward as she tried to fold in on herself to stop the ache that was growing. She felt disoriented. Weakness washed over her. She reached out for the ribbons “ her ribbons, Harry’s ribbons - his ribbons “


Ginny’s eyes flew open. She coughed on a gulp of air. Frantically, she searched between the concerned faces standing over her.


“Ginny!” Hermione said, kneeling next to her. “Ginny!”


“Harry,” she croaked.


“No, Ginny, it’s Hermione ““


Ginny pushed Hermione out of the way. “Harry?”


Hermione stepped aside to reveal Ron helping Harry to his feet. Harry pressed the palm of his hand to his forehead. He ignored Neville who held his wand out to him, and reached for Ginny’s hand. His fingers intertwined with hers, Harry fought to find their bond through the pain, to find the relief Ginny’s touch brought him. His eyes met Ginny’s and she whispered what he already knew.


“He’s here.”


+++++


“My lord, is something wrong?” Snape asked.


Voldemort’s head bowed and his hands rubbed his arms. Slowly, the Dark Lord lifted his head and his eyes glowed in the darkness. Snape involuntarily took a step back, hiding his crippled hand under his cloak. He willed himself to not turn away from the soulless look of evil triumph fixed on him.


“She’s here.”


“Anna Borgin?”


“No,” Voldemort breathed, “my bond.”


Snape averted his eyes.


“Call them, Severus.”


Snape inclined his head.


“Yes, my Lord.”


++++++



Nathan hissed as his hand clamped down on his forearm.


“Nathan?” Bill asked.


“He’s calling them,” Nathan said through clenched teeth. He glanced at Harry and Ginny. “He knows she’s here. He can feel her.”


“What do we do?” Fleur asked quietly.


“We can’t go back up,” Tonks said. “The stone is in place.”


“Can’t Voldemort move it?” Hermione asked worriedly.


“The ward I put in place will take some time to undo,” Bill said. “The other two entrances, I can’t do a thing about until I see them. I suggest we get going.”


“No!” Ginny exclaimed, struggling to her feet. “We have to go back up.”


“Now?” Ron asked.


“If he’s here,” Ginny argued, “we have to go do it.”


“You can’t,” Nathan broke in.


“We can find Anna when we’re done!” Ginny snapped.


“Ginny, it’s not that,” Nathan said softly. “You don’t have the circlet.”


Ginny felt her cheeks warm. “I’m sorry,” she shook her head. “I didn’t think ““


“No, Ginny, it’s alright,” Nathan assured her.


“Where is the circlet?” Hermione asked.


Ginny uncertain eyes sought Harry’s. “Dumbledore has it. He said it would be here when we needed it.”


Harry nodded slowly as he remembered another time, another chamber, another meeting with Tom Riddle.


“It will be.”


++++


The circle began to form to the side of the northern station stone. One by one Voldemort’s faithful Apparated to his point of calling. The hooded figures stood waiting, curious and excited, in the silence of the night. Much like the stone circle towering over them, there were conspicuous holes left empty.


Lord Voldemort stood in the middle of the circle, his eyes glowing with anticipation. His breath, cloudy in the cool night air, swirled above his head. His followers watched and waited.


“Those of you who were detained, you are wise to return,” Voldemort nodded at Dolohov, Avery and Jugson. “Some of you waited longer, than others.” Yaxley took a step back.


“Tonight is mine,” Voldemort hissed into the darkness. “I will bring full circle what was started only a few short months ago, and once I do, no one will question who should be followed.”


“Bring the Weasley chit to me alive,” Voldemort ordered, his eyes peering under the hoods of the figures.


“My lord,” Snape spoke up, “what about Potter? If she’s here, he will be as well.”


“Yes, he will be,” Voldemort nodded in satisfaction. “Bring him to me “ alive.” A flash of silver in Voldemort’s grasp reflected the moon. Snape kept his expression bland as he watched the Dark Lord hold up his palm and run the blade across it. Voldemort’s lips curled as the blood beaded. He closed his hand into a fist and held it above his head, droplets of blood falling to the grass. “I think Potter should witness a true blood bonding before he dies, don’t you?”


Dropping the blade on the ground, Voldemort turned back to the circle of his followers. “Move the stone,” he growled.


+++++



“Why aren’t we going down that one?” Molly whispered and pointed at the Heel stone. “Bill’s Patronus said they went down the Heel Stone. If we go down that one, we’ll find them!”


“Now, Molly ““


“Albus!”


“My apologies, Molly,” Dumbledore replied. “Bill placed wards and repelling charms around the Heel Stone to keep others from going down there. He did not tell us what those were. It would take valuable time for us to try and figure out what exactly he did.”


“So it’s better to waste time down there, possibly lost in the tunnels?” Molly snapped.


“We won’t be lost, Molly,” Dumbledore assured her.


“The soil indicates that this stone has been moved recently,” Kingsley Shacklebolt said.


“The more time we waste up here, the more time Voldemort has down there,” Moody growled.


Arthur placed a hand on his wife’s shoulder. Molly looked up into his eyes. She trusted what she saw there with all her heart. Arthur squeezed her shoulder, a sign he understood her dilemma. She inhaled and gave a slight nod of acceptance. When she released her breath, Molly wished she could release some of her anxiety, too. But she was a mother. She knew better than to expect that.


“I’ve removed the excuses for repelling charms on the station stone,” Moody growled at Kingsley Shacklebolt. “Move the stone while I alert the Ministry. We’re going to need back-up.”


++++


Kingsley Shacklebolt lead the group down the passageway, his posture slightly stooped so as to not knock his head on the ceiling. No one spoke. The light from their wands cast shadows down the corridor as they crept through the tunnels. It was impossible to know how long they had been down there. Time stopped in tombs.


The tunnels twisted like veins under the earth and their progress was slow. Periodically, Shacklebolt would check back with Dumbledore, perform several seeking charms, and wait for results before the small group would continue.


Molly kept a tight reign on her emotions. Her maternal instinct pitched a fit with every delay and every dead end. But, as Arthur pulled her forward, his hand encircling hers, she told herself they were doing what was best. They were pursuing Voldemort. They were going to stop him from getting to her children. They were going to get to him first. Molly sniffled and picked up her pace only to almost run into Arthur’s back. She looked around her husband to see why he had stopped so suddenly. In front, Kingsley’s hand was raised as he stood, still as the air in the tunnels.


“Someone’s coming,” Moody growled.


“The others?” Arthur asked.


“No,” Dumbledore answered quietly.


“We can’t go back,” Moody observed.


“No,” Dumbledore agreed, “we can’t.”


“Split up,” Kingsley ordered. “Arthur, Molly “ take that passage. Alastor and I will go to the next. Minerva, you and Albus ““


“I will go ahead,” Dumbledore interrupted, stepping forward.


“Albus, is that wise?” McGonagall whispered.


“Yes - it is,” Dumbledore said in a tone that left no room for questions.


Molly stepped close and touched Dumbledore’s sleeve with her hand. Dumbledore covered it and squeezed gently. “Go.”


Molly nodded and followed her husband into the nearby passageway to wait.


Dumbledore stepped forward, his wand unlit. The light was really unnecessary. Power lured him forward, its intensity tangible as it swelled to fill the underground space. Ten “ twenty steps away from the others, Dumbledore stopped. Into the silence, he spoke.


“Hello, Tom.”


A collective hiss emerged from the darkness. Feet scrambled to find unnecessary hiding spots. Dumbledore heard several travel down tunnels, away from where he stood.


“I have not been Tom for a long time.”


“No…you haven’t,” Dumbledore replied quietly.


“This time you are not going to keep me from what is mine.”


“She will never be yours,” Dumbledore answered evenly.


“You are wrong, Dumbledore,” Voldemort taunted, a red glow emitting from the end of his wand. “She already is.”


A blood red stream shot into the darkness. Dumbledore flicked his wand. A bright blue light illuminated the few short meters separating him from Voldemort, deflecting the spell into the tunnel wall. Dirt and stone flew into the space. The air was clogged with dust and grime.


“There really is no good place to hide in here, is there,” Dumbledore observed mildly.


From the darkness a slithering snake of light cut a trail through the dirt toward the Headmaster’s robes. A shot of sparks sliced the serpent in two, sending it wriggling in confused circles.


“I will have her and she will give me Potter,” Voldemort hissed. His wand delivered a stream of green light toward Dumbledore’s heart.


Dumbledore side stepped with the agility of a wizard a third his age. The curse exploded on the ground and fizzled when it found no human fuel to burn its magic. The tunnel air was thick with power. Dumbledore’s chest ached as he filled his lungs with the polluted air. He swallowed and cleared his throat.


“You can’t get to him in here, you know. The spirits, his mother, his father, his godfather all of them will protect him in here. As they will protect her.”


Light exploded above Voldemort’s head. The tunnel fell, a landslide of earth giving into the weight of gravity. Voldemort scrabbled forward. Dumbledore flung out his hand, a shield forming from his fingertips which deflected the Dark Lord’s mass. Voldemort screamed as electricity burned his flesh in a binding of electric wire. Voldemort rolled over the shield, tearing himself off it. He weaved around the Headmaster and caught himself on the wall.


A flash of light from another spell battle several meters down the tunnel illuminated Voldemort from behind. Dumbledore watched as Tom closed his eyes briefly, seeking inner strength. Tom seemed to heal before his eyes from the inside out. Another flash and Dumbledore saw the straightness of the shoulders, the stiffness of the spine, the strength radiating from the wizard who called himself the Dark Lord.


Dumbledore smiled as he heard the first notes.


Now, he nodded silently.


“You are wrong, Dumbledore,” Voldemort spoke strongly, satisfaction dripping from every word, “I can get to Potter anywhere.”


Voldemort’s wand sparked as he held up his hand, the clotted blood reflecting the light as it came closer. He hissed as he touched his wand to the blood.


“You see, I understand how the bond works, Dumbledore. Right now, somewhere in the bowels of this forsaken graveyard, my bond “ my blood bond “ is writhing in pain and there is nothing Potter can do about it except stand above her and say, ‘There, there, dear.’ ”


“Perhaps I have underestimated you, Tom,” Dumbledore said quietly. “Perhaps you have finally learned that there are worse things in life…than death.”


The air moved against Voldemort’s face. He saw the flash of red and felt the softness in the air. Rage boiled in him as he brandished his wand.


”AVADA KEDAVRA!”


Fawkes swooped, his beak open to intercept the stream of green light, but Dumbledore threw himself forward, his arm flinging upward, sending the Phoenix off course. Fawkes’ wings beat down as he circled.


Dumbledore arched backward, the force of the Unforgivable spell filling his body. His mouth froze open in a roar of pain as bright, white light pushed against the green. Waves of magic radiated from Dumbledore’s body as his spirit was released. Power flooded the passageway and sunk into the dirt. Waves began to ripple as the energy dispersed. Balance shifted and the earth quaked.


The tunnel floor, walls and ceiling rippled as Voldemort searched the air for Fawkes. He shot sparks, bright and desperate into the air. Whirling around, he stumbled and his feet hit a solid object. He looked down at the lifeless body of Albus Dumbledore.


His hand on the wall to steady himself against the moving earth, Voldemort reached down and grabbed Dumbledore’s wand from his hand, stepped over his body and did not look back.


++++


Anna rolled over and tried to spit dirt out of her mouth. Hard to do when you have no saliva to spit, she thought ruefully.


“Hey, that’s my kidney, not a bludger,” Anna whispered hoarsely to her baby, as a foot - or was it an elbow? - made contact with one of her inner organs. “Then again, if you’re kicking, you must be alright,” Anna whispered gratefully.


Anna shifted her weight and hissed. Her back felt as if it were on fire. She felt newly scabbed over scrapes tear apart. Blood seeped onto her shirt. Carefully, she shifted onto her other side. A sharp, hard, pointed object bit into her shoulder. Anna moved to the left and the poke disappeared. She tried to straighten her cramped legs but couldn’t. Her ankles were bound, as were her wrists, with stiff, sturdy rope that cut into her raw skin. Conserving her energy, Anna stopped moving.


It was dark and cold and damp. Anna smiled weakly as her father’s voice floated through her mind.


Feels like home, doesn’t it, Anna Beth?


Her father had always seemed a bit lost above ground.


Anna blinked into the blackness. She wasn’t panicked. She was alive. Her baby was alive. These were good things. And, truth be told, she liked being underground. Granted, she preferred being untied and standing up while underground, but these were minor details. Anna laughed, a slightly hysterical, hollow sound, deadened by the dirt walls. The sound faded and was replaced by a debate of thoughts and instructions inside her head.


Come on, Borgin. This is training 101.


Stay calm.


Focus on the positive.


Focus on the positive? You will never find that in any goblin training manual!


It can’t hurt.


Fine. Think positive and get your bearings.


I’m underground. Again.


You are your father’s daughter.


Yes, I am!



“You are what?”


Anna sucked in her breath as the snarl cut into her thoughts.


“I am my father’s daughter,” Anna repeated, her voice scratchy from hours of inhaling dirt and dust with no water to wash it down. “Who are you?”


No answer came from the darkness. A flickering blue light appeared across the dirt wall and bounced. Anna craned her neck around to see, but couldn’t. Her visitor knew to stay just far enough away. Anna heard shuffling and the dropping of a something onto the ground “ a sack, maybe? She heard the voice mutter something and a moment later, a torch was lit, sending strands of light into the tunnel. Anna blinked. Her eyes strained to adjust so she could see who was there. In the dimness, Anna saw pale long hair and a flash of an eye patch.


“Hello, Narcissa,” Anna rasped.


“Be quiet!” Narcissa snapped. She dropped a bag against the wall and reached in for a linen wrapped bundle.


Anna watched Narcissa settle herself on the ground and pull her cloak tightly around her body. Narcissa rested the bundle in her lap and unwrapped it. Involuntarily, Anna’s mouth opened at the sight of a hunk of bread. She almost groaned as she watched Narcissa lean over and pull a wineskin from her sack, unscrew the top and lift it to her lips. Anna clamped her teeth down on her bottom lip to keep from making a sound.


To keep her mind off her stomach, Anna began to think. Narcissa Malfoy. Why would Narcissa Malfoy be sitting in some forgotten underground tomb with me having a snack?


Anna didn’t remember getting here. One moment she’d been outside Gringotts, the next…well, she hadn’t had any human contact for a while. It was difficult to keep track of time down here. Judging by her lightheadedness and the emptiness of her stomach though, Anna had to guess she had been here at least twelve hours. Maybe longer.


“Tit for tat, Narcissa?” Anna croaked. “Nathan takes Lucius, you take me?”


Narcissa paused, a piece of bread halfway to her mouth. “You have no right to ask me questions,” she hissed and looked straight ahead.


“Oh, I don’t know about that. You brought me down here to become rat food. I think that gives me the right.”


Anna could see Narcissa’s fingers curl around a wand. Anna narrowed her eyes. That was her wand and a few more pieces fell into place.


The Dark Lord doesn’t know Narcissa is here. This wasn’t his plan. If it had been, Narcissa would have her own wand. She escaped St. Mungos and then somehow escaped from him. Can’t imagine that would make the Dark Lord all that happy.


“Does he know you have me? Not that he’d really care. I don’t mean anything to him. But I’m guessing since you’re hiding down here with me you probably “ “


“Quiet!”


With disgust, Narcissa threw the bread into the dirt. Anna’s mouth watered but she held herself still. A scurry could be heard by her feet. She felt bristle brush fur sweep by her tied hands and she shuddered. The bread moved. Anna shifted her eyes away from the rat and its feast. Her eyes caught Narcissa swiping her mouth with the back of her hand. A nervous gesture for a woman who supposedly had the upper hand. Anna kept pressing her advantage.


“Nathan will find me, Narcissa,” Anna said with an air of confidence. “And when he does ““


“You know nothing,” Narcissa spat. “No one will find you in the Solstice Tombs.”


Anna’s mind swirled. “We’re under Stonehenge?”


“I told you to be quiet!” Narcissa snapped.


Anna began to laugh. “You know my parents mapped these tunnels, don’t you?” she taunted.


“QUIET!” Narcissa roared and drew her foot back.


Instinctively, Anna pulled her legs up just in time to catch the solid force of Narcissa’s boot on her kneecap. She grunted in pain and awkwardly rolled over as Narcissa kicked again. Anna closed her eyes and slammed her mouth shut. She exhaled through her nose. She felt dirt and small pebbles bite into her skin. She waited for more, but it didn’t come. Slowly, she opened her eyes a slit. Narcissa had turned back to her bag.


“I may not mean anything, but the people who care about me mean a great deal,” Anna whispered hoarsely. “But you know that, don’t you.”


Narcissa didn’t turn around. Anna coughed to clear her throat before she continued, an internal force driving her to push Narcissa for as much information as she could get. The more Anna knew, the better her chances of survival. “You’re hiding down here with me because you’ve disobeyed Tom. On top of that, if you go above, the Ministry will throw you in Azkaban. I’d say you’ve really dug yourself quite a hole, Narcissa.”


Narcissa whirled around. Anna curled up like a Pill Bug as Narcissa aimed her wand. But the spell never came. A rumbling filled Anna’s ears, a guttural growl from beneath the surface of the earth. She felt the floor of the tunnel move, throwing her feet up and her head down. She rolled onto her back. She saw Narcissa, stumble backward, losing her footing and falling into the wall. Then, she heard a crack from above, as if someone had snapped a dry branch in two.


Anna knew what that crack meant. It was the last sound her parents had heard before the ceiling of the tomb they were working in had collapsed. On instinct, Anna scrambled backward, pushing herself up the wall. Narcissa launched herself off the ground, Anna’s wand pointed at Anna’s feet.


”CRUCIO! Narcissa cried.


Anna screamed as the Unforgiveable penetrated the ropes and sunk into her skin, pain radiating up her calves. Panting, Anna stumbled forward, her legs numb and aching. She realized her ropes were off. The curse “ the curse cut the ropes. She looked down at her free feet and saw a pale claw reaching toward her ankle. In one swift move, Anna shoved her foot out, her boot connecting with Narcissa’s face. A sickening crunch was followed by Narcissa’s screech of agony as Anna’s heel shoved Narcissa’s nose into her skull. Anna swung her foot around and leapt forward, her tied hands feeling her way down the tunnel. She heard the second crack. Her knees buckled as the earth rose up under her. Instinctively, Anna curled her bound hands around her stomach and ran, head down, into the darkness.


To Be Continued...


+++++


A/N - My apologies on the delay for these next chapters. Life interferred with my hobby. :) One reason this chapter in particular took so long was I spent many a night reading up on Stonehenge. Much like my Merlin addition to the story, this is a mix of fact and imagination. I hope you enjoy it.

Many thanks to my betas Anya and wvchemteach, too!


Thank you for your patience. Happy Reading!
Circino Amplexor, Part II by kjpzak
Circino Amplexor Part II



Bill almost ran into Ginny who was doubled over in the middle of the tunnel, her arms holding her sides tightly. “Ginny? What’s wrong?”


Ginny waved her hand at him but wouldn’t look up. Bill glanced over his shoulder to see where Harry was and stopped still. He looked up. He didn’t even have to hear it. He knew. He was trained to know.


“Bill?” Remus asked.


Bill glanced around. He glanced up. They couldn’t go back up. It would take too long to move the stone. Damn it. All he could see were tunnels. Wait “ archway “ farther down.


It took a moment for Nathan to realize what he was hearing, too - then feeling. Anna had described it once, in the middle of the night. She had dreamt of her parents. She had woken up screaming, her hands clawing at the blankets which had somehow managed to cover her face. Now, he felt the earth shift, trying to right itself against an intruding force. Nathan felt the vibrations travel up his legs, into his stomach and wrap around his heart.


“GO! NOW! THERE!” Bill bellowed, directing his wand down the tunnel. A bright white string of light shot from the tip of his wand to an opening several meters down. “SHIELD CHARMS!”


Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand and pulled her with him, flinging her before him into the alcove. Ron and Hermione fell into them. Bill shoved Fleur and Luna ahead of him and pointed his wand up, shouting, ”Contego!” Electric light buzzed as a shielding force formed over the group, strengthening as each wand was added.


Nathan slammed into the wall as the first chunk of earth fell. He felt Remus and Tonks ram into him and raise their wands. Together, they shouted, ”Testudo!” Shimmering light from each of their wands spread, stretching and interlocking, like the shell of a tortoise. Nathan’s arm ached as he felt the tunnel collapsing, pressing into the magic protecting them. Through the haze and dust, he saw a shimmer “ another shield and prayed it was Fred, George and Percy.


The quake lasted only seconds, but it seemed an eternity. The noise faded with the tremors and the tunnel was filled an eerie, heavy silence.


“Cover your mouths,” Bill said, pulling a handkerchief from his pocket. Ripping it in two, he handed half to Fleur who wrapped it over her mouth. “It won’t be perfect, but until we can clear the air a bit, it beats breathing in all the dirt.”


Bill kept his wand up while the others lowered theirs. Harry, Ron and Neville dug out their handkerchiefs. With a wave of her wand, Hermione enlarged them all and sliced them down the middle. One by one, they all tied them around their faces, leaving only their eyes showing.


Harry helped Ginny tie hers. “Are you alright?” he asked softly.


Ginny nodded, her eyes meeting his over her handkerchief. “I’m alright. He just “ he’s getting to me.”


“I’m sorry,” Harry whispered, wrapping his arms around her for a quick hug.


“Don’t be,” Ginny said against his chest. “It’s not your fault.” Stepping back, her eyes smiled at Harry. “It’s a good look for you,” her voice muffled behind her mask.


“We look like we’re ready to rob a bank,” Harry commented dryly.


“As if the goblins wouldn’t notice us sneaking in looking like this,” Ron replied sarcastically.


Hermione chuckled and patted Harry’s arm. “I got it.”


“Thanks,” Harry said.


Bill held his breath as he lowered his wand and slipped it between his knees. Fleur tied the other half of his handkerchief over his mouth. Pulling his wand back up, he lit it and held it out. They were looking at a dead end.


“Damn,” Bill muttered.


“Fred? George? Tonks?” Hermione called out.


“They can’t hear you through that,” Bill said heavily.


“What do you mean they can’t hear us? Do you mean they’re ““


“No, Hermione,” Bill said quickly as he realized she thought he meant they were buried. “I mean sound won’t carry through that.”


“Don’t you have some spell that will blast that away? How do we know they’re alright? They might be hurt!” Ron argued. “You’re the tomb raider. Can’t you fix this?”


“No, Ron, I can’t,” Bill explained quietly. “When we go into excavate tombs, we’ve already spent hours making detailed plans to avoid things like this. I don’t know what is holding these tunnels together ““


“There aren’t any spells you can do to see what “ “


“Ron, when tunnels collapse, it is not a good thing,” Fleur observed softly.


“I know that!” Ron snapped.


“Ron, listen to me,” Bill placed his hands on Ron’s shoulders. “Once a tunnel collapses, the chances that it will collapse again increase. To put additional magic into this space, be it even for the purpose of structural integrity, could mean bringing down some rather large stones that are much better looking resting on top of the ground.”


Ron blinked above his handkerchief. Slowly he nodded.


“I’m sorry, Ron,” Bill said quietly.


Harry cleared his scratchy throat. “Do we have the map?”


Bill swore as he searched the ground by his feet. “My pack is over there. No, we don’t have a map!”


“Bill,” Hermione said quietly, “with a cave-in like this, would it have done us much good?”


Bill rubbed the back of his neck in frustration. “No “ no, at this stage, probably not. It’s just my pack had other things in it “ things that could help us -”


Ginny stepped forward and placed her hand on Bill’s arm. “Bill, we’re in this together,” she said softly. Bill looked down into Ginny’s eyes. “We’re in this together,” she repeated.


Bill glanced around at the eyes all looking back at him and he realized they were looking at him with confidence and determination, not anxiety and desperation. Bill exhaled. “Right,” he nodded. “Well, at this time, we need to figure out how to get out of here.”


“What about Anna?” Hermione asked solemnly.


Bill’s eyes flickered to the landslide. “My responsibility is to get you out of here,” he answered. “Anna understands that.”


“Will you come back?” Ginny asked.


Without hesitation, Bill nodded. “If it’s safe, of course.”


Harry stepped into the tunnel and squinted into the darkness. “Can I light my wand, Bill?”


“Oh, yeah, that shouldn’t be a problem,” Bill answered. “The magic we’re worried about are the spells that might muck with wards placed around here. A lit wand shouldn’t do anything.”


“Harry?” Ginny asked. Harry stood still as stone, his lit wand by his side. “Harry, are you alright?”


“Do you hear it, Ginny?” Harry asked, staring forward.


Ginny listened carefully and shook her head. Harry reached out for her hand and wove his fingers with his. She closed her eyes and saw the ribbons, bright, colorful and singing. Singing? Ginny sucked in her breath and opened her eyes, searching the tunnel. Despite the notes ringing in her ears, she was unable to differentiate anything in the blackness. Then the dark began to move and change color. Luna hummed behind her. Mesmerized the group watched as the black turned to red and gold.


Gracefully, Fawkes landed gently on the ground and dropped a bundle at Harry’s feet.


Harry knelt next to the Phoenix and placed his hand on his head, stroking his feathers.


“Hello, old friend,” Harry greeted him quietly. “How did you get here?”


Fawkes leaned his head against Harry’s arm. An overwhelming sense of sadness flowed into Harry before the Phoenix lifted his head and the emotion ebbed. Harry looked into Fawkes’ eyes with concern. Fawkes blinked back and shook his head, as if to say, Not now. Later. Harry understood.


Ginny knelt next to Harry and smiled gently at the Phoenix. “It’s time, isn’t it?” she said softly.


Harry nodded. Reaching out, he touched the ragged, worn Sorting Hat. As his fingers closed around it, he felt the circlet, hard and heavy with the weight of their circle.


“We need to get above ground,” Fleur said.


“We need to finish the circlet,” Harry contradicted.


“You can do that up top,” Bill commanded.


“No,” Ginny shook her head. “No - here, now. Dumbledore said we’d know when and it’s when.”


“Look, Ginny, if the tunnels have collapsed, Voldemort might also be trapped down here. He might already be dead ““


“He’s not,” Ginny whispered, rubbing her heart.


Bill met Ginny’s gaze. His eyes begged her to let him get them all to safety. Ginny stared back. Her eyes brimmed with stubborn certainty. Bill sighed. “Do it quickly “ do it well, but do it quickly.”


“Thanks, Bill,” Ginny said and gave him a quick hug.


“What do we do?” Ron asked as he rubbed his hands together.


“Ron, I don’t think we do anything,” Hermione touched his arm. “We’ve done our part. This is up to Harry and Ginny.”


“Oh, right,” Ron flushed beneath his bandana.


“We’ll just be a minute,” Ginny said over her shoulder as she followed Harry a little way down the tunnel. A breeze brushed by her cheek. Ginny glanced over her shoulder.



“Harry?” Ginny whispered.


“Yeah?”


“Why is Fawkes following us?”


Harry stopped and glanced down at his feet. Fawkes stood, his back to them, his head turning from side to side.


“Is he guarding us?” Ginny asked.


“I think he is,” Harry nodded, reaching into the Sorting Hat.


“Why?”


Slowly, Harry pulled the circlet out. “If I had to guess, he’s here to make sure we’re safe while we do this and then show us the way out.”


“How do you think he got here?” Ginny asked.


Harry shrugged. “He’s Dumbledore’s Phoenix.”


“Explains a lot, doesn’t it,” Ginny grinned.


“Yeah, it does,” Harry answered and gently placed the hat on the ground and rested the circlet on the palms of his hands. “So, do you have your stone?”


Ginny dug into her pocket and pulled out a small bundle wrapped in a hair ribbon. Harry dug into his pocket and pulled out a sock.


“You kept your ruby in a sock?” Ginny asked incredulously.


“It was a clean sock,” Harry defended himself as he unfolded the elastic back and popped the stone into his hand.


Ginny giggled. “Sorry, this isn’t the time to laugh ““


Harry grinned. “I like it when you laugh. Ready?”


Ginny nodded. “Yeah, ready.”


Harry placed the circlet on top of the Sorting Hat, cleared his throat and held his wand over the ruby in his palm.


“Within this circlet, I bestow the power of July’s ruby, to protect my bond, Ginevra Molly Weasley. This stone represents all my love for you.” Harry’s voice was husky with emotion as he flicked his wand over the ruby. “Sero Compago.“


Harry picked the ruby up off his palm and held it to the circlet. A bath of red light washed over the walls of the tunnel as it joined the other stones.


Ginny breathed on her diamond and polished it slightly on the hem of her jumper.


“Show off,” Harry whispered.


Ginny winked at him. “Within this circlet, I bestow the power of August’s diamond. This stone contains all colors of our bond. It represents my love for you, Harry James Potter.” Ginny held her wand over the diamond. ”Sero Compago.”


A rainbow of light shot from the center of the diamond and painted the walls with color. The shades soaked into the soil while the diamond flashed white and bright as it filled its spot.


Harry held up his hand. Ginny placed her palm against his and closed her eyes. She smiled inwardly, warmth chasing the chill from her bones as Harry’s love coursed through her veins. She felt Harry squeeze her hand. She opened her eyes and looked into Harry’s. Together, with their free hands, they touched their wands to the circlet.


”Circino Amplexor.”


The circlet glowed, the gold strengthening as it molded to the stones. The gems themselves shone from within, not a flashy sparkle, more like a burning as the powers bestowed into this circle of love melted together. The glowing became stronger, brighter. Ginny gasped as a shot of electric light beamed upward, followed up another and another. The beams reflected off the ceiling of the tunnel. She instinctively stepped closer to Harry and looked up. The web was more than light. It was love.


“Mum? Dad?” Harry blinked. “Gin? Do you see them, too?” he asked in a hushed whisper.


Ginny nodded, her eyes fastened on the silvery image of Catarina who reached out to another translucent being. Ginny sucked in her breath and her heart constricted at the sight of Albus Dumbledore joining hands with her mentor. Dumbledore’s image smiled down upon them, his eyes twinkled over his spectacles even in his ghostlike form.


“It is time,” he confirmed and stretched out his hand to grab hold of several strands of light.


“I love you, both,” Lily said as she collected a few more.


“You will be fine,” James assured them and gathered several strands for himself.


“You have all of this inside you “ inside both of you,” Catarina spoke and fished the last strands of light out of the air.


The transparent figures began to weave the strands of protection and love together, their own love joining with the powers bestowed upon the circlet by the living. Harry had the urge to stand up on his tip toes to see if he could touch them. As he watched, Harry realized his heart tugged him upward, but it was anchored in the woman standing beside him. His place was here. Harry wrapped Ginny in his arms and pressed her against him. He didn’t have to close his eyes to know their bond was there. He could feel it throughout his entire body.


The lights wove together before their eyes to form one solitary light. Lily met Harry’s eyes one last time and smiled before her essence dissipated along with James who nodded good-bye. Catarina raised her hand in a small wave, and Dumbledore cast them a solemn look before evaporating. The single strand of light hung suspended momentarily in the cave air before it was sucked down into itself, a trail of emptiness left in its wake. The circlet rested, quiet and full, on the Sorting Hat.



Harry and Ginny held on tightly to each other as the cave returned to normal. Harry felt Ginny shake against him. He leaned back to look down at her.


“Hey, you alright?” he asked softly.


Ginny looked up, her eyes glistening. She nodded. “Yeah, I’m “ I’m fine. I just never thought I’d see any of them again.”


Harry cupped her face between his hands and lifted her lips to his. “I know what you mean. But you know what?”


“What?” Ginny murmured.


“I realized something watching them up there,” Harry said. “In my first year, I sat in front of the Mirror of Erised and was shown my heart’s greatest wish which was my parents “ to be a family with my mum and dad. I know if I were to stand in front of the Mirror of Erised today, I would see you. It’s not that I don’t miss them. It’s just that you are my greatest wish. Without you, I would be nothing.”


“Oh, Harry, don’t do that,” Ginny sniffled and swiped at her eyes with her sleeve. “Don’t make me cry.”


Harry grinned and tightened his hug. He placed a kiss on her forehead.


“I love you, Harry,” Ginny said softly as she rested her cheek on Harry’s shoulder.


“I love you, too, Ginny,” Harry said.


“And as much as I love standing here like this, I think we best get going,” Ginny said softly.


Harry sighed. “I think you’re right,” he agreed quietly.


Reluctantly stepping out of Harry’s arms, Ginny held out the ribbon that her diamond had been wrapped in. “Here. You can use that to fasten the circlet to your belt.”


“Oh, well, thanks,” he said and took the ribbon, “but what about “ huh,” Harry stopped as he searched the ground for the Sorting Hat. “It’s gone.”


“Probably back in Dumbledore’s office already,” Bill commented quietly. “Is it done?”


Harry took Ginny’s hand and met her eyes. She smiled. Harry squeezed her hand and turned to Bill. “We’re ready.”


“Oy!” Ron exclaimed ducking as Fawkes swooped down, parting the group as he flew through to land on Harry’s shoulder. The Phoenix looked at them all expectantly.


“I think Fawkes is ready, too,” Neville commented.


Bill cocked his head to the side and studied Fawkes. Fawkes stared back at him and once again, Bill recognized a force, greater than himself, working to guide him and his companions. He bowed his head in respect to the Phoenix. In turn, Fawkes turned and showed Bill his tail feathers.


“Well, that’s just plain rude,” Ron said indignantly.


“Ron,” Hermione sighed, “I think Fawkes is telling us to touch his tail feathers.”


“Oh,” Ron said. “Right. Sorry, Fawkes,” Ron apologized and stepped forward. He touched a feather gently along with the rest of the group.


With a flash of fire, they were gone.


+++++


“Hey “ ow! Nathan! Take down this damn shield, will you?” Fred rubbed his nose under the handkerchief he held up to it. “I ran right into it. Might have broken my nose.”


“No great loss, that,” George commented from behind him. “Everybody knows I’m the better looking one anyway.”


“No need to ask if the two of you are alright,” Tonks observed as she lowered her wand. “Percy?”


“Sore,” Percy struggled to his feet. He winced as he began brushing dirt off the front of his robes. “Are you alright?”


“Yeah, I think we are,” Tonks answered stepping into the tunnel. “Remus?”


“I’m fine. Nathan?”


Nathan lowered his wand and the last bit of the shield disappeared with a ‘Pop!’. Silently, he stepped past Tonks and Remus to take a look at the landslide. Something crunched under foot. Nathan stepped aside and reached down to pick up the map, covered with dirt, a large foot print now in the middle.


Wordlessly, he looked at Percy, his eyes filled with apologies. Percy leaned against the tunnel wall and reached out for the parchment. “I enjoyed working for the Ministry,” he replied in a rather far off sounding voice.


“You know, it’s not like it’s worth anything now,” Tonks said comfortingly.


“Yeah,” Fred plucked the map out of Percy’s hand and wadded it up. “Look at this way, you just helped clean out some over stuffed filing cabinets without being asked.”


“That shows foresight and initiative,” George nodded. “Very impressive.”


“A job well done, I’d say,” Fred agreed. “Care to do the honors?” he asked, holding the bunched up parchment out.


Percy’s hand shook as he inhaled deeply and raised his wand. ”Incendio.”


“Congratulations, Percy,” Fred dropped the burning ball to the ground. “You have just destroyed stolen Ministry property. We’re very proud.”


“Perhaps we should offer him a job?” George eyed his older brother up and down.


“He does have potential,” Fred mused.


“Alright, you two, if you’re done interviewing, we need to figure out what we’re doing,” Tonks said and looked at Nathan who was examining the loose dirt. “Nathan?”


“I’ve got to find Anna,” he said quietly.


“Nathan,” Remus said quietly, “you do realize ““


“She’s alive, Remus,” Nathan said firmly, rubbing his thumb over his wedding band.


“Very well,” Remus nodded. “Is there anyway we can find out the state of the others?”


Tonks ran a hand through her spiked hair and sighed. “They’re in good hands “ each others’.”


“Yes, but isn’t there anything we can try?” Percy asked.


“I’m not sure what kinds of wards protect these tunnels,” Tonks admitted. “I don’t want to make things worse by adding additional spell work that won’t mix well with what is left here. I’m sorry, Percy.”


Percy nodded sadly. “I understand.”


“Hey! Here’s Bill’s pack,” Fred knelt down and flipped it open. “Light, anyone?”


Fred fished out an illumination disc and held his wand to it. ”Illumino.”


Fred tossed it on the ground and the tunnel began to glow bright blue. He stood up and grinned. “Best invent “ Percy!”



All eyes turned to Percy who was wobbling a bit on his feet. Tonks lit her wand and held it up to Percy’s face. Blood had begun to trickle down his cheek. Gently, Tonks turned Percy’s head.


“Bloody hell, Percy,” she exclaimed. “You’ve got “ well, it’s not pretty.”


“My head hurts,” Percy said, sounding a little dazed.


“Yes, I can see why it would,” Remus said as he inspected the back of Percy’s skull. “I’m guessing you hit it against something.”


“He can’t stay,” Tonks said. “He needs help.”


“We need to get him to one of the burial chambers or one of the other entrances,” Nathan directed.


“Any idea which way we go to do that?” Fred asked.


“Well, to the right is dirt and to the left is tunnel,” George commented. “I vote left.”


“Good choice,” Tonks commented. She lit her wand.


“It is our only choice,” Nathan said.


“At least we still have choices,” Tonks noted before stopping suddenly and covering her mouth under her handkerchief with her hand. “I’m sorry. That was uncalled for. I wasn’t ““


“Tonks,” Nathan squeezed her shoulder, “she’s alive. The others are alive. No one will be able to convince me otherwise as long as we’re still alive.”


“Thanks, Nathan,” Tonks said and lowered her hand.


“It’s still warm, Tonks.” Nathan held up his left hand. “I intend to make sure it stays warm for many, many more years.”


“Then let’s go,” Fred said, slinging Bill’s pack over his shoulder.


“Percy, can you walk?” Remus asked.


“My legs work,” Percy said a little confused, “I just have a bit of a headache…”


“Yeah, I assume you do,” George said. With a grunt, he wrapped his arm around Percy’s waist and pulled Percy’s arm across his shoulders. “All set?”


“All set,” Percy echoed in a disjointed voice.


“Let’s go, then” Nathan said.


+++++


A/N - Many, many thanks, too, to my betas Anya and wvchemteach and my mod, bogus7.

Happy Reading!
Overpowering Love, Part I by kjpzak
A/N - Ah yes, as you can see by the title, it's another two parter. Sorry about that. For some reason, MNFF doesn't like chapters over 10,000 words. Feel free to wait until both parts are up to read. :)



Overpowering Love





Anna’s knee buckled as a sharp twinge ran down the back of her leg. She slumped against the wall and struggled to catch her breath. She pressed her hand against the ache underneath her stomach and listened. Nothing.


“I’m getting a little sick of hearing nothing,” Anna muttered. Her chest burned with exertion as her voice faded into the darkness. “I’m getting a little tired of not being able to see anything, either. In fact, I’m really done with spending my pregnancy trying to stay alive!”


Anna wasn’t sure why she was disappointed that her raised voice didn’t echo back. Perhaps it was the fact she was alone. Or that she hadn’t heard evidence of another person for Merlin only knows how long. Or that while her mind knew there wasn’t a large open cavern right in front of her, a part of her hoped there was simply because it would be something different. If only she had managed to get her wand from Narcissa. Anna kicked the ground in anger and rubbed the raw skin on her wrists.


“Come on, Anna,” she spoke wearily. “It’s not your fault. The manual says when you hear the crack, drop everything and Disapparate or run if Disapparation is not an option. You had to run. You wouldn’t be alive if you had tried to get your wand.”


Anna blinked at the tears forming in her eyes. She sucked in her breath. Stay calm, Anna. Becoming upset isn’t going to help anything.


She started going over the procedures for being stuck underground in a tomb.


Consult the map to determine your approximate location. She sighed.


Perform a listening charm to enhance sounds. An excellent suggestion, she mused, but that requires a wand, and I don’t currently possess one.


Location charms “ start with directional and move onto beacon types. Anna looked dejectedly down at where she thought her empty hands were. Another good idea but we’re back at that ‘don’t have a wand’ issue.


Determine the air flow. What air flow? There is no air flow. The air in here hasn’t moved for decades.


Mark your path as you go.


“Mark with what?” Anna cried into the darkness. She brushed at the tears leaking from the corners of her eyes with the back of her hand. “Mark my path with what? I can’t even see my path!” she choked. “I can’t see anything! I can’t hear anything! I “ I “ “ Anna slid down the wall awkwardly and dropped her head into her hands.


“I know “ I know,” she sniffled. “Think with your head, Borgin, not with your damn hormones. Keep your emotions in check.” She blinked rapidly to dry her eyes. “Not a rule written by a pregnant Goblin, that one.”


Anna hugged her belly and leaned her head against the wall. She shivered and drew a ragged breath. She tapped the panic down as it began to rise inside her by reciting what she could remember from her youth.


“The purpose of Stonehenge was to worship the sun during the summer solstice. The tunnels under Stonehenge were for the burial processions of enlightened elders who had traveled the pathway of the sun, from their birth in the east to their death in the west. Mourners would then reflect on their lives by duplicating the processions. There are two burial chambers,” Anna’s voice became stronger as the memories flooded back, “that are also Disapparation points.”


Triumph motivated Anna. Sniffling, she clumsily pushed herself off the ground.


“Alright, little one, we’re getting out of here,” Anna peered into the blackness. “We’re either finding an exit or a Disapparation point. Perhaps we will run into someone we know there. We can always hope. If we’re lucky maybe your grandparents left part of themselves here when they mapped these tunnels. Maybe their spirits are hanging about just waiting to tell us how to get out of here. Believe me,” Anna patted her belly, “if there is anything your Grandmother loved, it was telling me how to do something.”


With determination, Anna took a step and stopped. She could have sworn she felt the air move. Taking a page out of a Muggle survival guide her father had made her read, she licked her finger and held it up. Anna’s skin prickled as cool air chilled the moisture on her skin. She smiled.


“I love you, too, Mum,” she whispered and began to follow.


++++



Harry’s feet hit the ground and he stumbled into Ginny.


“Sorry,” he apologized as he regained his balance.


“First time traveling by Phoenix?” Ginny teased.


“In a long time,” Harry grinned, “You?”


“You two alright?” Bill asked as he stepped up beside them.


“Yeah,” Harry answered. “You ready, Gin?”


Ginny straightened her shoulders. “Yes. You?”


Harry held up the circlet. He nodded soberly.


“Then we’d better get in place,” Bill said. “I just wish there were more of us up here. Of course,” he looked around the group, “there aren’t many better than you lot.”


“Thanks, Bill,” Ron patted his brother’s shoulder.


“Just calling it as I see it.” Bill turned to Ginny. He met his sister’s eyes and paused. He felt his throat clog with emotion “ fear, pride, hope. He swallowed them all and pulled her into a hug.


“Uh, Harry,” Ron cleared his throat. “I “ I just wanted to say -”


“You’ve got my back?” Harry cut in.


“I’ve got your back, mate,” Ron vowed.


“You always do,” Harry smiled gratefully.


Bill released Ginny and cleared his throat. “Come on, Ron. Let’s go.”


Ron pulled Harry into a brief but fierce hug and did the same with Ginny before he trailed after Bill. Harry grabbed Ginny’s hand and slid behind one of the fallen stones. His back resting against it, Harry craned his neck backward and his eyes traveled to the top.


“Nothing like some really big rocks to make you realize how small you really are,” Ginny commented wryly and squeezed Harry’s hand.


“Yeah,” Harry agreed. “You ready?”


“With you here, I’m ready,” Ginny answered.


“I love you,” Harry said seriously, looking deeply into her eyes.


“I love you, too, Harry,” Ginny rested her hand against his cheek. “Now, close yourself off to me.”


“I wish I didn’t have to.”


“I wish you didn’t have to either,” Ginny replied softly. “When I can’t feel you, I’m cold. I hate being cold.”


“Me, too.” Harry leaned down and placed a soft kiss on her lips. Reluctantly, he let go of her hand. Ginny inhaled, nodded slowly and closed her eyes.


Behind her closed eyes, Ginny saw her bond with Harry. Normally bright and taut, the bond dulled. Ginny shivered. Harry had closed himself off from her. Ginny pushed herself to do what she knew she had to, but didn’t want to. She poured herself into the bond, but instead of concentrating on her heart, she concentrated on the blood, hers and Harry’s bound together in Tom. She sucked in her breath as a sharp pain speared her middle. She fought the nausea as she pushed into the blood. She sought out the evil that made her go cold.


Ginny wove herself around the Dark Lord’s power and pulled. She waited, holding her breath, until she felt him push back in a tug of war. Ginny focused on bringing the Dark Lord to her. She felt her chest tighten as Tom responded. Ginny jerked and wheeled away. She fell to her knees on the damp grass. Sweat dripped down her nose and dropped to the ground as she sucked in air and opened her eyes. She felt burnt “ almost dead inside. She tried not to blink. She was afraid of what she would see if she closed her eyes - afraid of what she might have done to her bond with Harry.


“Gin!” Harry grabbed her hand and pulled her close. “Gin, answer me.”


“He’s coming,” Ginny croaked into his jumper.


“Close your eyes, Gin,” Harry whispered.


“No, I don’t want to,” Ginny shook her head into his chest.


“Close your eyes,” Harry urged again.


Reluctantly, Ginny shut her eyes. Almost fearfully she opened herself back up and exhaled. There was her and Harry’s bond, bright and shining, full of color, safely anchored between them.


“I love you, Ginny,” Harry said hoarsely into her hair, “and I’m going to do anything in my power to make sure I get to prove that to you for many, many years to come, understand?”


Ginny nodded into Harry’s shoulder, still aching from her intimate contact with Voldemort. She felt Harry’s arms tighten and she gasped as he flooded the bond with all the love in his heart. Seeing the colors, she smiled grimly against the wool.


Just try to defeat that, Tom.


+++++



In the underground tunnels, Voldemort stood on the edge of the battle. His eyes were closed but his mind watched the ribbons in his blood. There were no rich, bright, beautiful colors in this bond. This bond was as pitch black as the tunnels had been before Nott threw the first spell that drew out the pitiful number of Order members from their hiding spots.


Voldemort felt a jump in his blood almost as if a bubble had burst. It took a moment for him to recognize the burning sensation just under his skin which filled him with the need to follow the pull.


“My lord ““


“She is not here, Severus,” Voldemort stated as he opened his eyes.


“Not here?”


“The foolish girl wants me to come to her. Not down here. Up above. She thinks she can actually manipulate me.”


“My lord, the passage way “ it is blocked,” Pettigrew squeaked from where he stood by his master’s elbow.


“Do you think that is the only way out of here?” Voldemort hissed.


“Sir, I am not familiar with these tunnels.” Pettigrew backed away from the gleam in the Dark Lord’s eyes.


“No, you are not,” Voldemort assessed. “But I am. It is one thing Lucius managed to do correctly.”


“Do correctly?” Snape echoed.


“Yes, he shared his little secrets with me.” Voldemort leveled his gaze on Snape. “Have you shared all your secrets with me, Severus?”


“You are my master, my Lord,” Snape bowed his head to hide his eyes from the Dark Lord’s.


“As it should be,” Voldemort replied.


“Where do we go, my Lord?” Pettigrew asked.


Voldemort rested his wand on the palm of his hand. ”Acclaro Sepulcrum.


The wand spun, its tip glowing, striping the walls with magic. After several rotations, it slowed and stopped. Blood red light shot from its tip into the dirt.


“They are in there,” Voldemort said.


“Who?” Pettigrew asked.


“The dead,” Voldemort replied. “You see, Wormtail, the ancients buried their dead here to help their spirits rise to the heavens. And while dying alongside your loved ones is very admirable, even back then, it was…undesirable,” Voldemort’s voice dripped with anticipation. “There is a Disapparation point beyond this wall.”


“How do you plan to get to the dead, my Lord?” Snape asked.


Voldemort leveled his wand at the wall and hissed.



+++++


Molly stumbled over fallen dirt as she moved toward the spell battle going on in front of her. She had no idea how many Death Eaters were here. She just knew the Order was sorely outnumbered. Not that there was any surprise in that she thought, trying to keep from rubbing her scratchy, irritated eyes.


She knew Arthur was alive. She had heard him. Well, she thought she had heard him. It was so hard to tell down here. There was noise in all directions, deadened and dulled by the walls, but still loud enough to make her ears ring. She had seen Moody. He had come to check on her after the cave-in. He said Kingsley suffered a broken leg from being caught under a pile of dirt but that wasn’t stopping him. He had not seen Albus, but…Moody’s voice had trailed off after that and neither one of his eyes would look at Molly. Molly had a feeling Moody knew something he didn’t want to tell her. And to be honest, she didn’t want to think about what that might be right now.


“MOLLY! WATCH OUT!”


Molly flung herself forward as a blast of magical light exploded into the wall where her head had just been. She popped up and pointed her wand in the direction the spell had come from.


” Abico converto!” she hollered.


The hurling charm brightened the tunnel for a moment. It illuminated Arthur who was pressed against the wall a ways up from her. She didn’t know if the spell hit its mark or not; her attention was focused on her husband who slid to her side.


“Molly, are you alright?” he asked worriedly as he crouched down next to her. He gently cupped her chin and lifted her face. His thumb rubbed at the tear tracks on her cheeks.


Molly nodded. “Yes, it’s “ it’s just dirt in my eyes. It’s making it hard to see. I’m fine, Arthur. A few tears, I’ll be good as new.”


“I wish ““


“Nothing you can do, Arthur. Come on, we’ve got a battle to fight,” Molly said in the same tone she would use to tell him to hurry up and wash up for supper.


“Yes, Molly,” he answered dutifully.


Molly opened her mouth to scold but clamped it shut again. Sending blasting spells ahead of them, they crept forward to the main corridor. A blast of cold air hit them head on.


“What is that?” Arthur asked.


“What is what?” Molly asked as she blinked rapidly to clear her vision.


“That room,” Arthur said.


“Burial Chamber,” Moody growled from beside him. “Someone blasted through and they’re in there. Wands ready.”


Arthur nodded, but was stopped as a flash of red from inside the chamber pummeled him in the chest.


“Oh, no you don’t!” Molly growled and aimed her wand into the room. “ABFLAMEN!”


A screech was heard as the blasting spell hit its mark.


++++


Anna’s eyes burned. Her fingers tingled with numbness. Her toes ached with cold. Circulation had never been her strong point. Afraid if she stopped she would never get going again, she forced herself to keep walking. She dragged a stick behind her as a reminder of where she had been and periodically piled up stacks of rocks and roots as additional trail markers. She paused briefly to construct another such marker.


Bending over, Anna stretched out her fingers and winced at the painful stiffness in them. She felt along the ground for anything to stack up. Reaching forward, her mind began to swirl with dizziness. She lost her balance and fell against the wall. Unable to catch herself, she slid down on her side, inhaling dirt as her cheek hit the ground.


Anna hissed painfully and pushed herself up into a sitting position. She pulled her wrist out from beneath her. She couldn’t see it, but she could feel her body’s automatic response to falling at such an angle as the burning warmth of blood swelled her sprained muscles. Anna blinked back the rapidly forming tears.


“Not now, Borgin,” she sniffled. “No tears. Not now.”


Anna scooted so her spine was against the wall of the tunnel. She leaned back and rolled her head side to side, thankful for the bumps of dirt and rock that bit into her skull. The discomfort kept her awake. She had never been this tired before. Closing her eyes, she placed her hands on her stomach.


“Probably good training for when you come,” she croaked. “From what I understand, sleep is a highly sought after commodity with a newborn.”


Anna pressed her frozen finger tips into her jumper and winced at the tingling pain.


“When you become a curse breaker,” she mumbled, “I will make sure your father buys you the highest quality dragon hide gloves available. You see, little one,” Anna said, her tongue dry and thick in her mouth, “you can’t feel the cold…through the dragon hide gloves. They…they keep you warm…and safe. Really…really warm...”


Anna’s voice trailed off as her mind swirled with exhaustion and hunger. Jerking awake, she sucked in air and coughed as it caught in her dry throat. She gulped back a sob. In her mind, a voice broke through the darkness.


Anna.


Anna’s chest began to shake with tears.


Anna, there will be time for tears later.


Anna hiccupped. “What?” she rasped.


There will be time for tears later, Anna. Nathan needs you. Your baby needs you. You need to continue.


Anna shook her head. She wanted to sleep. If she slept, she would feel better. She just knew it. She licked her lips but she had no saliva. She shook her head wearily. “If I sleep, maybe I won’t hear voices.”


Anna thought she heard a chuckle.


Nathan was right. I like you.


Anna struggled to comprehend the words that swirled in her fuzzy mind. Her brow wrinkled. She felt a bit slow around the edges. She answered the darkness. “You know Nathan?”


Another chuckle. Maybe not as well as you these days. But I love him just as much as you do. And I have to imagine, you aren’t very comfortable sitting like that. These caves have a marked lack of good back support for pregnant women.


Who else loved Nathan as much as she did?


“Catarina?” Anna whispered, her eyelids heavy with fatigue.


It is an odd situation we find ourselves in, isn’t it, Anna?


“What do you mean?” Anna mumbled.


There was nothing I wished more than for Nathan to find someone he could share his life with. He deserved that much. My son has his faults. He is a Slytherin, after all.


Anna’s mouth curved in a one sided smile and she nodded her head.


Which is why I am so glad that if he couldn’t marry a Ravenclaw such as myself, at least he had the good sense to marry a Gryffindor. Your spirit keeps him from folding in on himself. It makes him a better person - a stronger person. He needs you. He needs your baby.


“Mmmm.” Anna’s eyes closed.


I just wish I had had the opportunity to meet you under better circumstances. I would have hugged you tightly and spoiled my grandchild rotten. However, now, I am only able to tell you thank you for loving my son so much.


“I don’t think I had much choice.” Anna croaked.


Ah, you believe in fate. Catarina observed.


“I don’t know what I believe in right now.” The words slurred together as Anna tried to let sleep drag her under. Her head fell from side to side in exhaustion. “I’m cold. I’m hungry. I can’t feel my baby. I can’t feel my own mother but I can hear my husband’s. I can’t even feel my toes,” she complained.


Anna, this is not your fate.


“I’ve gone round the bend, little one,” Anna mumbled. “Your mum has gone batty.”


It’s not your time yet.


“I don’t have the time. I don’t have a watch. She probably took that, too.” Anna’s chin hit her chest.


Anna, it’s not your time.


“You said that already,” Anna muttered, annoyed that Catarina wouldn’t leave her alone.


Anna.


“Not my time,” Anna garbled. “Not my time.” She didn’t move.


Anna!


“Ow!” Anna yelped as a sharp pain speared across her belly. She opened her sticky eyes and blinked.


Anna?.


“Right, right, right. Crap,” Anna croaked and pressed her hand to her pounding heart. “Not my time.”


Groaning, she pushed with her good hand off the ground and regained her feet.


“Whoa,” she breathed as her head swam. “Slow. Gotta go slow.”


Anna cradled her swollen wrist against her belly and put her right foot in front of her left. Stopping briefly, she looked up. Anna opened her mouth then closed it again. Her lips cracked as she smiled into the darkness. She rubbed the ache in her lower back. With a nod of thanks, she touched the wall of the tunnel and stepped forward.


+++++


George ducked out from under Percy’s arm and shifted his older brother’s weight onto Fred’s shoulders.


“You didn’t put a weightless charm on him?” Fred grunted.


“He’s pretty messed up in the head already, Fred,” George answered. “I didn’t want to mess him up further.”


“You do know I’m still conscious, don’t you?” Percy asked, picking up his head wearily.


“Hey, did you feel that?” Fred asked.


“Feel what?”


“That trembling “ Tonks? Remus?” Fred called.


Tonks stopped and listened, her hand held up to silence everyone.


“Spell battle,” Nathan murmured.


Remus nodded. “Not far.”


“Wands ready,” Tonks ordered as she crept ahead.


A roll of dust billowed from down the tunnel. Tonks held her sleeve up to her mouth and squinted. She motioned to the others with her wand hand to get against the wall. Sliding along, she rounded a corner and stopped. As an Auror, she knew how to remain calm and collected in the face of danger, but the sight that greeted Tonks still sent shivers up her spine. The tunnel they had been following ended at one of the burial chambers.


The cathedral sized chamber was circular, the walls lined with shelves where rested the remains of the revered mystical nobility. Urns of every shape and size holding the ashes of those not as worthy to merit a bed of their own stood at attention on the floor beneath the shelves. Rectangular waist high altars, long enough to hold a body, followed the circumference of the room and rested on an intricate mosaic tile floor that depicted the celestial bodies at the mid-summer Solstice. The ceiling of the room was domed, a large glowing orb in the middle, white as the moon, painting the chamber silver.


At the far end, a battle raged. The smaller urns along the walls danced with the vibrations of spell work. The smoke in the air reflected the light of the hanging moon mixed with flashes of magic. Screams traveled the length of the room as hexes met their mark.


“So much for resting in peace,” George observed over Tonks’ shoulder.


“There are at least fifteen of them,” she counted.


“So, normal odds, then,” Nathan replied evenly.


“Yup,” Tonks nodded.


“That battle seems to be down at the other end of the chamber,” Remus said from behind.


Tonks nodded again. “Someone must have blasted through the wall down there.”


“Time to step up and help?” George asked.


“I’d say that’s a fine idea,” Tonks agreed.


George turned and crept back to Fred. Their eyes met. Gently, Fred set Percy against the wall. Barely conscious, Percy slid down to the floor in a slump. George pointed his wand.


”Contego,” he whispered, an electric shield forming to protect his brother.


At the chamber opening, Tonks leveled her wand. Remus, Fred, George and Nathan did the same. She turned back to the burial chamber and counted down silently. Three “ two “ one.


”Extundo!”


Tonks’ arm jerked back as her pummeling spell flew into the burial chamber and targeted the urns lining the walls. The Death Eaters closest to them whirled around in confusion trying to avoid flying burial pots. Ashes spewed into the air and pooled on the floor. Taking advantage of the chaos, Tonks plastered herself to the wall and scurried into the chamber followed by the others.


The group fanned out. Tonks took refuge behind one of the altars. She felt the carvings of celestial beings bite into her arm as she pressed her shoulder against the cold stone. She fired a cutting hex at the closest black robe. The Death Eater screeched and whirled. Tonks ducked, a flash of white sparking off the wall behind her. She struck again drawing the attention of more of the Dark Lord’s followers. Good, she thought. Gives the others a breather She threw her arm around the corner and hissed as a spell seared across her skin. It burned, but it didn’t bleed.


”Conico! she growled at what looked like a marble bowl on a pedestal. The bowl hurled forward, catching the Death Eater in the stomach. He grunted and stumbled backward. His heel caught on the hem of his robes and he tripped, his skull cracking on the edge of an altar as he fell. The bowl landed with a thud on the floor next to him. Without sparing the Death Eater another glance, Tonks turned back to the room.


Diving behind a standing urn at least two meters tall and half that much around, Fred threw a bludgeoning spell across the room. Bent over, George scuttled to the other side of the urn, and aimed. Return fire rattled the urn the twins were book-ending, ringing their eardrums as it vibrated.


“Big guy, this one,” Fred observed loudly and ducked around the belly of the urn to fire off a cutting spell.


“Could be a couple,” George commented as a flash burst over his shoulder.


“Couples like to dance,” Fred shouted.


“One more spin around the dance floor?” George suggested and scooted behind the urn. He leaned his shoulder into it.


“You’re such a romantic,” Fred grunted and joined George in giving the urn a good shove.


The urn crashed to the ground cracking the mosaic tile with its rim. The lid dropped to the floor like a large top, spinning and wobbling on its knob. With another heave, the twins turned the urn. Pointing their wands at opposite ends, they fired rotating charms. The urn began to roll, picking up speed as it crossed the floor. Ashes spilled from the open top, covering the floor with a fine, gray, slippery dust. Fred sent another rotating charm at the bottom and the urn began to spin, a giant odd shaped billiard ball bumping off the altars. Screams filled the domed room as Death Eaters tripped and slipped on the ashes in their attempt to not make contact with the out of control burial container.


George grinned at Fred. “May I have this dance?”


“As long as you don’t step on my toes this time,” Fred replied and they slid into the nearest alcove and started firing again.


Nathan plastered himself against the back of one of the altars. Peering around the end, he aimed his wand for the closest hooded figure.


” Aculeatus Vena!” Nathan growled.


Augustus Rockwood’s hood slid back as his back arched, the blood stinging hex sending fire through his veins. Nathan held his wand steady, the ache from his heart fueling the spell. Rockwood screeched and twisted as he tried to find relief. He fell to the floor and did not move. Nathan pulled back his wand and surveyed the room.


He subconsciously ran his thumb over the underside of his wedding band. His mind left the battle as he stopped and looked down at his left hand. He rubbed his thumb over the gold again. His heart dropped. It was cooler. Frantically, he pressed the forefinger of his right hand into the band and searched for warmth. It was so faint. Nathan looked up at the room in desperation, not seeing the wand pointed directly at him.


Nathan’s ribs cracked on impact as the hurling curse flung him into solid stone. He slid down, sending urns scattering.


“Nathan, are you alright?” Lupin shouted as he covered him with a blasting charm.


Nathan nodded numbly and struggled to his feet. His insides were torn. He could feel the ribs poking him from the inside out. The room in front of him swam before his eyes, thick with smoke, dust and magic. His wife and baby were out in the tunnels…


“Nathan!”


Tonks’ yell brought Nathan’s attention back to the chamber and the pain running rampant in his chest and side. His attention was caught by the cloaks of two short, rumpled looking figures, rounding the end of the giant urn in the middle of the floor.


“You alright?” Tonks shouted.


Anna would be very pissed if he left this fight right now. He knew that for a fact. Nathan touched his ring. It wasn’t cold yet.


Nathan gave Tonks a quick, apologetic nod. Clasping one hand around his ribs to hold in the pain, he raised his wand toward the middle of the room and the two figures making their way around the twins’ urn. Nathan narrowed his eyes in recognition. Alecto and Amycus, brother and sister. He dug them all up, didn’t he, Nathan thought wryly and took aim.


”Conico!” he hissed and sent the siblings hurling backward into the urn. His mind a blank, Nathan didn’t wait for them to fall before firing again. ”Ossis Fractus!” Identical screams reached his ears as bones shattered within the siblings limbs.


Stiffly, Nathan slid against the wall toward the ragged opening on the other side of the chamber. He ducked as a bludgeoning charm smashed into the wall where he had been moments before. Nathan growled, flung his wand hand forward and stopped, a stab of pain radiating from his forearm. He stumbled, blinded by the fierce burning from the mark on his arm. His feet hit fallen debris, tripping him up and sending him into a burial shelf. Nathan hissed and clenched his middle as he slid into a century old skeleton, crunching bones to dust.


The air had changed in the burial chamber. It was charged, thick and cold. Nathan’s nostrils flared as he straightened. He knew the Dark Lord wasn’t here for him. The Dark Lord wasn’t here for Anna, either, but Anna wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t for one of the misguided fools who followed him. No, Nathan thought, leveling his wand at Voldemort’s followers, Anna would be here, fighting the good fight if she could. She’s a Gryffindor, after all, and she’d be yelling at you to quit acting like a self-serving Slytherin.


Moving on automatic, he planted his feet and the magic flowed. Two years of teaching defense had honed a lifetime of being on the defensive. Using the ache in his heart to feed his magic, Nathan channeled his anger into the Death Eaters before him.


++++


From the side of the ragged opening in the wall, Moody peered around the burial chamber. His normal eye followed the group who progressed toward the center of the room. His magical eye spun upward and focused on the glowing moon-like orb hanging from the ceiling. He knew where the Dark Lord was going. Moody pushed himself off the wall and started to make his way toward the center and Voldemort.


Moody’s normal eye blinked. That was as long as it took Voldemort and his guard to disappear.


“NO!” Moody roared as he saw a remaining Death Eater point his wand up at the orb. “REGERO!


”EVERTO!


Moody’s spell hit Jugson in the chest, throwing him over the nearest stone altar, but it was too late. The Death Eater’s demolishing spell exploded into the orb, effectively dousing the light and the Disapparation portal. Shards of shimmering silver crystals fell like icicles to the floor and smashed into tiny bits of glass. A piercing scream became a gurgle as a large dagger of moonlight speared Avery to the floor. Moody lit his wand, looked up at the hole in the ceiling and swore.


“Where is he?” Minerva snapped, her back to Moody as she fired a cutting spell at one of the Death Eaters left. “He was just here!”


“Disapparated,” Moody growled, “and destroyed our way out of here.”


“What do you mean destroyed our way out of here?” Minvera asked crossly as the Death Eater slumped to the floor.


“The Disappartion point was tied to the moon,” Moody answered.


Molly heard him and stopped still. Her face lost all color as she whispered what she knew in her heart to be true. “He’s gone to them.”


“What do you mean, Molly?” Arthur asked beside her. He rubbed his chest where the blasting curse had hit.


“He’s gone to find Harry and Ginny,” Molly rocked back and forth. “I have to go ““


“That will be a bit difficult at the moment, Molly,” Moody replied as he scanned the chamber.


“Nothing is too difficult, Alastor!” Molly shouted.


“Just give me a minute, Molly!” Moody barked, studying the empty space in the ceiling’s sky.


“Mum!” Fred skidding to as top next to her.


“Fred! Thank Merlin you’re alright!” Molly cried.


“Yes, Mum, but Percy “ he’s hurt ““


Molly shook her head in confusion. “Percy? Hurt? Where?”


“Just outside “ he needs help. He can’t get out of here on his own ““


“Go get him, Molly, and bring him back here,” Moody ordered.


“I’ve got to go to Ginny ““


“Molly! We’re here for Harry and Ginny. Get Percy to safety,” Minerva ordered. “Then yes, do come back.”


Molly stood there, torn with indecision.


“Mum! He needs help, now!” Fred shouted as he pointed his wand at one of the few remaining Death Eaters in the chamber.


“Right,” Molly said. “Where is he?”


“Follow me,” Fred said, grabbing his mother’s hand and dragging her toward the far entrance.


“Alastor, exactly how do you expect to get out of here, now?” Minerva asked. “If the Disapparation Point was tied to the moon and now we have no moon ““


“Minerva,” Moody interrupted, “you’re the Transfiguration professor. Transfigure us a moon. We seem to be in need of one.”



++++



“You alright, Nathan?” Remus asked, sliding behind a giant urn opposite the one Nathan was defending.


Nathan did not respond, his eyes cold and focused on the battle scene in front of him.


“Nathan, are you alright?” Remus repeated concerned.


Nathan turned his head to look at Lupin and blinked. Remus shuddered. Never had he seen anything so hollow.


“It’s getting colder, Remus,” Nathan answered in a detached voice.


“What’s “ah.” Remus stopped and plastered himself against the back of the urn. He turned to face Nathan. “Nathan, go. Go find her.”


“No, you need me here,” Nathan shook his head, as a chunk of earth rained down upon him.


“Hey, you two,” Tonks interrupted as she dove around Remus, “enough chit chat ““


“He needs to go find Anna,” Remus nodded at Nathan. Nathan tried to push himself off the ground.


Tonks glanced down at Nathan’s hands. In the glow of the wand light, she could see his thumb moving rapidly over his wedding band as if by doing so he could keep Anna alive a little longer.


“Go,” Tonks echoed Remus’ command.


“But ““


“Nathan, the fight down here is ending. Go get your wife and bring her back,” Tonks ordered. Remus motioned to Nathan’s side. Tonks pointed her wand at his ribs and muttered a numbing charm.


Nathan’s emptiness turned into desperation. “Thank you,” he croaked as he launched himself toward the tunnels.


+++++


Half an hour later, Nathan flung his wand against the wall and dropped his hands to his knees. His head fell forward and his chin hit his chest.


“BLOODY HELL!” he raged to the darkness. “Damn it!” Nathan swore, his voice thick with emotion. “How much is a man supposed to bear before he breaks?”


Nathan, you aren’t about to break anytime soon.


“Mother?” Nathan asked and pushed himself off his knees. There was no answer. “Brilliant,” he sighed. “I’m now going insane. Accio Wand.


Insane would not be a good look on you, Nathan.


Nathan’s fingers closed around his wand and he stilled, listening to the sound of his own breathing.


Nathan, I met your wife earlier. She’s absolutely lovely. And somewhat delirious due to lack of water and food. You should really get going.


“I’m hearing things,” Nathan muttered. “This isn’t good.”


Nathan Andrew Borgin, get a move on, will you? I swear! Even as a child I had to ask you to get dressed ten times before you’d slip on a sock. Anna needs you! Your daughter needs you. Go!


A slightly off balanced chuckle left Nathan’s lips. “Hello, Mother.”


Enough with the niceties, Nathan. Go! She’s waiting for you.


“Which way?” Nathan asked to the darkness praying that this wasn’t just his imagination.


Follow you heart, Nathan. Follow your blood. You’ll find her.


Nathan snorted. At least he now knew he wasn’t slipping over the edge. His mind would have given him a direct answer; his mother, not.


With a deep breath, Nathan closed his eyes and let his body relax. He searched within himself, within his blood, for the calmness he needed. He felt warmth flood his veins as he watched his blood flow become steady and strong, the desperation leaving his heart with each beat. Out of habit now, he rubbed his thumb over his wedding band. His heart jumped. The gold was warmer. Nathan’s eyes flew open. He lit his wand and stepped purposefully forward.


You’re welcome, son. Catarina’s spirit called at Nathan’s retreating back.


Nathan felt his heart beating against his broken ribs. His feet crunched on the soil as he walked. His ears strained to hear another set of footsteps. Stopping, he listened. Nothing. He trailed his fingers down the wall and hit an opening for another tunnel. He stopped again and closed his eyes, this time listening to his heart. It pulled him onward. Shutting off all thought, Nathan kept going.


He didn’t hear what hit him.


One minute he was stepping forward, the next, he was doubled over in agony, his hands clutched around a large rock that had been hurled into his broken ribs. He dropped the rock as a force met him in the chest. It was a boot. Someone kicked him. He groaned and pointed his wand. He didn’t have his wand. But someone did. It flared above him, the light temporarily blinding him, as it was shoved in his face.


Without warning, another force hit him, this one soft and sobbing. Nathan swallowed and tried to breathe as arms encircled his neck and a rounded weight pressed him into the ground. He inhaled through his nose and stopped still. Tears slid from the corner of his eyes as he locked his arms around his wife.



+++++


“Where the hell are we supposed to hide?” Ron asked, searching the grounds.


“Ronald! Language!” Hermione scolded.


“Hermione, I really don’t think now ““


“Quiet, you two,” Bill commanded. “Behind the stones, Ron. They’re big. They’re solid. They’ll do. Spread out!”


“Right,” Ron nodded.


Ginny cried out and doubled over, rubbing her arms frantically. “He’s coming,” she whispered hoarsely. “He’s coming.”


“What do we do?” Joanna asked.


“Diversionary tactics?” Ron suggested.


“Exactly,” Bill replied,


Ginny sucked in her breath as the sound of Apparation filled the air. In the shadow of the stone, towering meters above him, Harry peered around the side and counted.


One, two, three, four, five…and…


Harry ducked back behind the rock and glanced down at Ginny who stood hunched over, rocking back and forth. His heart ached at the sight.


“Gin?” Harry whispered. “What can I do?”


Ginny bit her bottom lip and straightened. In the moonlight, Harry could see the tears at the corners of her closed eyes as she bit her bottom lip. Her breathing uneven, she pushed her shoulders back.


“Harry?”


“Yeah?”


“I don’t ever want to feel this again,” she croaked determinedly.


“You won’t,” Harry vowed and leaned down to place a fierce kiss on her lips.


From behind the next stone over, Bill pointed his wand at the group in the inner circle. Harry nodded. Bill slid from view around the edge of the rock.


”Everto!”


The mounds of soil erupted at the Death Eaters’ feet, flinging them backward from the crater created by Bill’s demolishing spell. Black hoods scrambled to take cover as another massive explosion emitted from the end of Bill’s wand creating confusion and chaos.


”Abflamen!” Fleur shouted at Travers who had stumbled out of the smoke.


His arms flailed as he flew back and tripped over the uneven ground. He fell with a thud and threw out his wand. “Callum Consectio!” he shrieked.


“NO!” Bill shouted and flung himself at Fleur. Fleur screamed as the cutting charm slashed across her face, into her shoulder and down her side. Bill’s weight slammed into her throwing her to the ground. Feeling Fleur’s blood soak into his shirt, Bill pushed himself to his elbows and bellowed, “CONFLARO!”


Streams of blindingly hot flame shot out of the end of Bill’s wand and scorched the ground in front of them. A trail of smoking shriveled grass was left in its wake. Blue tinted flame turned Travers’s robes red as the fire danced around the grass and slithered over his fallen form. Travers screamed as he rolled, spreading the smell of burnt grass and flesh.


Bill watched as the Death Eater came to an unconscious smoldering stop against the base of one of the bluestones. Bill sucked air into his burning lungs and crawled to Fleur. Gently, he put his arm around her shoulders and helped shift her to a sitting position behind one of the rocks.


“We need to get you out of here,” Bill said as he dug in his pocket for something he could use as a Portkey.


“I am not going anywhere,” Fleur contradicted. She touched her bleeding cheek and winced.


“Yes, you are,” Bill argued. He pointed his wand at the nub of a quill. “You’re hurt.”


“I will heal,” Fleur replied.


“No ““


“I may not be able to fully participate in the fight, but that does not mean I cannot cause some mischief from back here, non?”


“You’re bleeding ““


“A clotting charm will stop it!”


“You need ““



“Homme idiot! Il pense qu'il peut m'inciter à aller! Vous avez tellement pour apprendre, mon amour!”


Bill sat back on his heels and stared into Fleur’s steady eyes. He reached out and wiped a drop of blood off her cheek. “Did you just call me an idiot and your love all in one breath?”


Fleur smiled and patted his cheek. “Maybe you aren’t so much of an idiot.”


Bill sighed. “We’re wasting time.”


“Oui.”


“You aren’t going anywhere, are you?”


“Non.”


“Fine,” Bill gave in. “But stay here. Use a shield. Be safe!”


“I will,” Fleur assured him. “Now, go! The others, they need you.”


Bill leaned down and gave Fleur a swift, hard kiss on the lips before sliding around the end of the rock. Hunched over, he ran across the clearing and headed for the ditch that surrounded the monument. In the darkness, he didn’t see the Aubrey hole in front of him. The toe of his boot caught the edge and he flew forward. Bill landed with a dull thud on a hump in damp earth. He knew it must be the edge of the ditch surrounding the stones. With a grunt, he rolled over the rise of earth and into the indentation as a spray of sparks lit the air above his head.


“Exanimare!” Bill shouted.


The stunning spell hit the closest Death Eater square in the chest, throwing him into one of the Station Stones. The Death Eater’s head bounced off the ancient rock as he slid to the ground, unconscious. Bill exhaled heavily and picked himself up. Stealthily, he began to circle the monument.


++++


“Neville?”


“What?” Neville shouted back over the sound of the spell battle.


“Is this what the Ministry was like?” Joanna asked as she aimed her wand over the edge of the ditch. “Stupefy!”


“Uh, well ““


“No, Joanna,” Luna said, fashioning a shiny green shield out of mid air to deflect an incoming bludgeoning spell. “The battle at the Ministry was indoors.”


Joanna paused and blinked at Luna. “I knew that.”


”Tundero!


Taken unawares, Neville did not have time to react before Avery’s pounding spell hit him from the side. The spell wrapped itself around his body, picking him up and slamming him down into the ground repeatedly. Bright lights flashed behind his eyelids as his skull hit solid ground.


”Abflamen!” Joanna screamed at the Death Eater who was laughing manically at Neville’s bouncing body.


Avery flew back. His body fell with a thud to the ground, the force of Joanna’s anger feeding the blasting spell. Luna stepped forward, pointed her wand at his twitching form, and bound him to the ground.


Joanna dropped to her knees at Neville’s side. “Neville? Are you alright?”


Neville rolled onto his back and groaned. Joanna gasped at the blood flowing from Neville’s nose.


“Oh doh,” Neville groaned. “Nob agab.”


Luna looked over Joanna’s shoulder. “Perhaps this battle is rather like the Ministry one,” Luna sighed handing Neville a handkerchief.


“Can you sit up?” Joanna asked concerned.


Neville nodded from behind the piece of purple fabric he held up to his nose. He looked over Joanna’s shoulders and his eyes widened.


“Rob! Rob!” Neville shouted.


Joanna whirled around. Without hesitation, she pointed her wand at Ron who was searching the grounds only a meter away. A shield formed, deflecting a stunning spell aimed for him.


“Thanks, Joanna,” Ron panted, shaking his head and refocusing.


“You alright?”


“Yeah, I “ I just don’t know where Hermione went.”


“She can take care of herself, Ronald,” Luna comforted as she sent a pummeling spell toward the Death Eater who had targeted Ron.


“I know that,” Ron answered indignantly. His eyes widened as they landed on Neville’s face. “Neville, are you hurt?”


“Yeb,” Neville confirmed.


Extundo!,” Luna shouted before turning. “Go find Hermione, Ronald. We’re fine.”


Ron flashed Joanna, Luna and Neville a grateful smile and slipped out of the ditch. Hermione could take care of herself. He knew that. But he’d feel a whole lot better if he knew where she was.


Ron took in the lay of the land. A flash of light bounced off the Sarsen stone in front of him blinding him as he fell to the ground. He blinked away the starbursts behind his eyelids. Shaking his head clear, Ron searched the darkness. Ahead of him, he could make out the outline of the fallen Slaughter Stone. He saw the shadow move and a flash of orange shine as a harsh whisper reached Ron’s ears.


”Flatondeo.


Twisting in the air as the inflamed cutting hex sliced into his ankles, Ron clamped his mouth shut to keep from crying out. His legs felt as if he had just run through the brambles at the back of his mum’s garden and then jumped in a bucket of an antiseptic potion. The stinging became worse as the blood began to trickle over his hot skin. Ron threw his hands out to catch himself on the ground and flung his wand over his stomach in the direction the spell came from.


”Contundo!”


The bludgeoning spell bounced off the front of the Slaughter Stone, lighting up the grass in front. Ron tried to stand but the ground was damp and he was too unstable. He cried out as his feet slipped. Nott took advantage of Ron’s instability and fired a pummeling spell. Ron gave into gravity and pitched forward, the spell traveling over his back. He inhaled as he hit the ground. Dirt flew up his nose and grass filled his mouth. Spitting grit, he pushed himself up again.


”Diffindo!” Ron bellowed.


The cutting charm caught Nott on the arm and he screamed. His arm sliced to the bone, the Death Eater stumbled over the uneven ground, loosing his footing in the ditch behind the Slaughter Stone. Ron limped after him. Nott struggled to get up. His wand waved wildly and he shot a stunning spell into the air missing Ron completely. Ron’s eyes followed the trail of light before he lowered his wand and aimed.


”Exanimo!” Ron growled.


Nott gasped as his airwaves closed. His ankles throbbing, Ron kept his wand steady, watching Nott succumb to unconsciousness. Panting, he dropped his wand to his side and leaned against the stone for a moment savoring the coolness of the hard surface against his sweaty face. Gingerly he reached down to touch his ankles and sighed in relief. His skin was tender but touchable and the blood seemed to be clotting.


The crack of apparition told Ron the numbers were increasing. He crouched down and swiped his sleeve across his eyes. Cautiously, he peered around the stone. A sense of relief flooded through him.


“About bloody time,” Ron yelled as Fred and George slid in next to him.


“Making an entrance…,” George proclaimed, hunkering down.


“…is an art form,” Fred finished.


“Where is everybody else?” Ron demanded. He ducked below a flash of sparks. ”Diffendo!” he shouted at the Death Eater who had spotted him. The cutting charm sliced through Jugson’s robes sending him reeling backward with a shriek of pain.


“Coming,” George said.


“You alright?” Fred asked planting a knee firmly in the grass and taking aim.


“Just a few cuts. I need to go after Hermione ““


“Follow your heart, young brother,” George said and fired a bludgeoning spell into the night air.


+++++


A/N “ So, would you believe I’ve spent the last two weeks rewriting this entire chapter? Oy! These past two have been really difficult. There was so much to bring together which yes, made it choppy in places but I appreciate you all hanging in there!

No, this isn’t the end. And I hesitate putting this up only because the next chapters are still works in progress. I hate to leave you hanging, but I’ll hurry as best I can “ I promise!

My many, many thanks to wvchemteach for his endless supplies of ideas. For Anya who finds the missing p’s and q’s. To Bogus7 “ sorry, it’s another long one.

And finally to all my reviewers “ I love hearing what you think. I’ve learned a lot from your thoughts and impressions and I appreciate them all.

Thanks!
Overpowering Love, Part II by kjpzak
Overpowering Love, Part II



Cold stone pressing into her back, Hermione fought to catch her breath. Just beyond the horseshoe of Bluestones, heading toward the northern Station Stone, she saw a figure with his right arm curled into his body. His left hand held a wand rather awkwardly. Hermione looked twice. She recognized that gate. She hesitated.


A spell from behind whizzed by her head. She cried out as the magic burned a path across her cheek and singed her hair. She pressed the palm of her hand to the sting. Hissing, Hermione threw her wand out around the stone shielding her and fired back.


”Stupefy!”


Not waiting to see if the stunning spell hit, Hermione threw up a shield charm and sidestepped across the grass. She needed to see if she was right. She didn’t see the Aubrey Hole before she stumbled into the indentation. She fell with a thud to the ground and the figure turned, his hood sliding back.


“Miss Granger,” Snape snarled. “Go home.”


Hermione pushed herself off the ground and brushed the hair off her face, wincing as it pulled through the blood on her cheek.


“Prof ““ Hermione hesitated. Snape wasn’t her professor, nor a member of the Order any longer. He didn’t deserve her respect. Hermione narrowed her eyes and poked her wand out.


“I’m trying to help them,” Snape growled. “They need a way out.” He shook his head at Hermione. “Book smart undeniably yet absolutely hopeless in real life.”


With the flick of his hand, a field of light emerged and threw Hermione back into the ground. Her head hit the damp earth with a solid thwack. Snape whirled back toward the Station Stone and drew his wand.


Hermione gasped as her lungs fought for the air that had been knocked out of them. She pushed herself up on her elbow. Snape’s muffled voice reached her ears while his form swam in front of her blackening gaze. She could hear him muttering something. Her heart pounded. He was trying to move the Station Stone! Hermione opened her mouth to tell him not to. He was a professor. Hermione shook her head. No, he was not a professor. He was a Death Eater helping other Death Eaters get out. Not Order members. Death Eaters. Hermione raised her wand and shut her conscience up.


”Conico!”


Hermione’s hurling charm hit Snape in his lower back. He screamed. Snape’s incomplete incantation soaked into the Station Stone, turning it blue seconds before Snape’s body slammed into the rock surface. A starburst reached to the stars, tracing the light of the path of the moon. Snape’s agony echoed throughout the circle of stones and he fell, landing flat on the grass, his arms far flung, his wand flying.


Hermione struggled to her feet and scrambled after the loose wand. With it clutched tightly in her hand, she knelt beside the ex-Potions Master and felt for a pulse. It was weak, but still there. A flash of silver caught her attention as her eyes traveled down Snape’s still form. She leaned forward and saw what looked like the handle of a small blade sticking out of the Dark Mark on Snape’s forearm. She left it where it was and stood up to perform a binding hex.


Hopeless in real life, she thought, breathing deep. I’m not the one bound to the ground.


Without another thought, she turned back toward the middle of the monument. A hooded figure approached.


”Extundo!” Hermione cast and stumbled from the kickback of the pummeling charm. A strong hand caught her on the small of the back. She sucked in her breath and looked up.


“That’s my girl,” Ron smiled.


Hermione flashed him a quick grin, noticing Ron’s pale face. Her eyes traveled down his body looking for injuries. She gasped at the sight of his jeans, shredded and sticking to the dried blood on his legs.


“Ron! You’re hurt!”


“I’m alright,” Ron assured her as he aimed his wand.


Hermione opened her mouth to admonish him but stopped when a small scurrying figure caught her eye. She watched him separate himself from the group and move to the outside of the stones. She knew that hunched over posture. “Wormtail,” she pointed her wand in his direction. “What do you suppose he’s doing?”


“Dunno,” Ron’s blasting spell ricocheted off the corner of one of the fallen stones and sent a chunk of bluestone hurling into the ground. “Trying to find something?”


“Or someone,” Hermione replied. Her eyes scanned the circle. It only took a moment to find what he must be looking for - the flash of red hair as Ginny stuck her wand around the corner of the stone shielding her. “No, he doesn’t get her either,” Hermione muttered underneath her breath as she moved behind Ron in the direction of Peter Pettigrew.


“Not again,” Ron grumbled.


Ron scurried down the path Hermione had taken, watching his footfalls on the uneven ground. Rounding the corner of one stone, he skidded on damp grass, his attention pulled like a magnet to the action in the middle of the monument. Bill seemed to be playing a game of hide and seek with several Death Eaters, dodging in and out between stones. Hermione had stopped and was firing spells in the direction of another fallen stone. Beyond Hermione, Ron saw Pettigrew making a beeline for where Ginny crouched next to Harry.


Ron felt Hermione pull on his jumper. He twisted and tumbled on his wobbly legs. As he fell, his eyes swung away from his sister to a Death Eater whose wand was pointed directly at Ginny’s back. Dumbfounded, he saw Pettigrew rush forward and push Ginny to the ground, putting himself in her place.


Harry dragged Ginny back just as Peter Pettigrew took the full force of a flesh eating hex meant for her. Pettigrew screamed, clawing at his skin as magic began to eat away at his body. He blindly dug into his flesh seeking relief from the acid like burning. His eyes popped as he struggled to suck in air. Pettigrew met Harry’s eyes for the briefest of moments before he fell to the ground.


Harry heard him rasp with his last few breaths, “My debt is paid, Harry.”


Unable to look upon him, Harry turned away. His attention caught by a flash of black behind the altar stone. He inhaled sharply as he saw the scaly grey hand griping the end of the wand pointing from behind it. Harry took aim.


” Abico converto”, he hissed.


The hurling charm caught Voldemort’s hand and threw it back, sending the rest of his body with it. The movement caught Bill’s attention. Bill followed the spell trail back to Harry. He looked questioningly at him. Harry felt Ginny reach for his hand. Harry nodded at Bill. It was time.


Bill took a deep breath and bellowed.


“Skin spells only! Now!”


Ron and Hermione lurched forward and aimed their wands. Together with Bill, their shouts rang out over the clearing.


”Spiculus!” Ron roared.


”Vomiculus!” Hermione screamed.


”Flagrus!” Bill growled.


Voldemort jerked back and screeched, the combination of the three spells eating at his skin each in its distinct way. Ron’s stinging spell sent the sensation of thousands of biting insects under Voldemort’s skin. Hermione’s hex formed large boils, red and oozing against his gray, scaly skin. Bill’s spell burnt the Dark Lord’s skin from the inside out.


Voldemort struggled to ease his agony, swaying as the stones in front of him danced before his eyes. Hatred boiled in Harry’s gut. With a growl, Harry aimed.


“Expelliarmus!”


Harry’s hand shot up to catch the wand.


Voldemort shrieked and whirled dizzily around. “Potter!” he screamed and caught himself on the altar stone. He gasped, his chest heaving in his struggle not to touch his inflamed skin. “Foolish boy,” he rasped. “Think that is my only wand?”


Harry glanced down at the object in his hand. His heart constricted. Closing his fist around the wand, Harry glared at Voldemort. “You don’t deserve to touch Dumbledore’s wand!”


Voldemort laughed hoarsely and aimed the wand he had procured from the sleeve of his robe at Harry’s chest. “He doesn’t need it anymore. Neither do I.” Voldemort swung his wand around, a stream of sparks emitting from the end of it. Bill, Hermione and Ron dove and rolled on the ground.


“Believe you can be the hero, Potter? You can’t protect them - or her, you know.”


Ignoring the taunt, Harry slipped Dumbledore’s wand into his pocket. Ginny squeezed his hand. Harry felt warmth and smiled confidently at the Dark Lord. He tugged and Ginny stepped in front of him.


“Miss Weasley,” Voldemort greeted her.


Ginny drew a deep breath and pushed the nausea in her stomach down. She clutched Harry’s hand tightly and spoke evenly. “Hello, Tom.”


Harry saw the smallest movement “ Voldemort pulled his wand back. He seemed almost hesitant to use it. Harry jumped on that.


“You won’t hurt her,” Harry barked. “You hurt her and you hurt yourself.”


“There are other ways for me to regain my strength,” Voldemort sneered.


“Those other ways aren’t nearly as good,” Ginny answered knowingly. “And they most definitely are temporary.”


“You are a foolish girl if you believe you have a choice in this,” Voldemort snarled. “She didn’t,” he paused, his wand pointed at Ginny’s chest, “and neither do you.”


Harry saw Ginny’s shoulders rise and fall before he felt her reach out to their bond. He heard her suck in her breath and anger began to boil within him. Harry felt his blood begin to burn. His stomach rolled and his limbs felt heavy. He planted his feet farther apart to steady himself and took a deep breath. Voldemort was poisoning their bond. Hatred flooded Harry’s body as he glared at the Dark Lord’s triumphant gaze.


“I told you that you can’t protect her, Potter. I’ve been bonded before, you know. I know how to influence that bond much like she does.”


Harry felt Ginny push her love into their bond, just enough to help him clamp his mind shut and focus on the blood flowing through his veins.


“It is rather fitting to kill you as you protect what you love, Harry,” Voldemort hissed as he raised his wand. “Your mother would be so proud.”


Harry allowed Ginny’s love to push the anger out, leaving him with a sense of calm confidence. Harry raised his chin a touch higher and silently dared Voldemort to cast a spell. He was ready.


”Avada Kedavra!”


“Exanimare!”


Harry held his vibrating wand steady as a stream of blue light flashed forward, meeting green, winding together as the two wands were joined. Voldemort screamed and tried to pull his wand back but Harry’s spell held fast. Gold light spun the connection between the two wands and Harry felt his feet began to rise. This time, though, he wasn’t alone with Voldemort. Ginny was there too, her hand inside his, her body moved to his side, her life and love bound for all time with his.


Voldemort saw Harry’s hand in Ginny’s. His eyes flashed fire.


“Let her go, Potter!” he shrieked.


“No!” Harry growled.


Beads of light emerged from Voldemort’s wand tip. Harry felt coldness begin to creep into his soul as they traveled up the strands of magic. Harry shuddered. Voldemort was pushing his power through the bond. He was pushing his blackness into Ginny.


“She can’t stop it, Potter. She’s too good, too pure. No matter how much she tries, she’s not powerful enough to protect you,” Voldemort screeched, fighting to keep his wand steady. “Let her go!”


Ginny tried to grab her hand from Harry’s but he tightened his hold. He knew she was trying to protect him. He heard her hiss from pain. He steadied himself as best he could and opened himself up to her.


Ginny re-gripped Harry’s hand and pushed all else away from her. She felt ill, the evil seeping through the bond, turning her blood into sludge. She dug deep and immersed herself within Harry and her ribbons, drinking up the color. She felt the strength of the love woven together begin to work and push the evil away as Harry’s magic flowed into her.


Ginny drank in his power. She took everything he could give. Their bond grew, the lights and colors behind her eyes turned brighter than mid-day. She reveled in the combined power as she wrapped her magic around it, then through it, weaving it together to form a force powerful enough to break a bond.


Harry felt the muscles in his arm quiver as he struggled to keep his wand combined with Voldemort’s, while at the same time letting Ginny take his magic. His head began to ache and his palms grew sweaty. Harry almost laughed as the desire to plead with Ginny to hurry up crossed his mind. Instead, he met Voldemort’s gaze defiantly and held on.


Voldemort’s eyes darted from Harry’s to the action below. His followers were scattered in the midst of battles of their own. He had learned before. He dared not loose his concentration by shouting down to them. His eyes flew back to his wand. He felt it shiver and he screamed.


“NO!”


Harry could read the rage and fear in the Dark Lord’s widening eyes fear as the ghostly form of Albus Dumbledore emerged from the tip of his wand. Even in death, Dumbledore was still the one wizard Tom Riddle feared more than any.


The shimmering figure of Hogwarts’ Headmaster landed gently on the ground, not making a sound in his weightless form. Unhurriedly, he tugged invisible wrinkles out of his silver robe. With a final brush of his hands down his front, Albus looked up.


“Hello, Tom.”


While Dumbledore’s voice wrapped Harry in a blanket of security, it wormed its way under the Dark Lord’s skin. Voldemort fought to regain the upper hand. He threw his head back, a hysterical shriek emitting from his open lips.


“You are dead, Dumbledore! Dead!”


“Yes, Tom, I noticed that. Slightly inconvenient at this point in time, but not unexpected.”


Harry cringed. His muscles began to burn and twitch with the effort of keeping his wand in place. His eyes stung from the sweat that dripped from his hair. He wanted to look at Dumbledore head on, to really see him one last time, but he couldn’t. To shift his gaze would give Voldemort the opening he was looking for and all they had worked for would be lost.


“Tom, you won’t win this one.”


“I already have,” Voldemort screamed.


Harry straightened his shoulders. Dumbledore’s ghostly image turned. The kind eyes glanced briefly at Harry over the rims of the half-moon spectacles. Harry inclined his head, afraid speech would somehow break the connection he was desperately trying to keep strong. He almost barked out in laughter when Dumbledore winked at him.


“Tom,” Dumbledore said as he turned, “you could have been so much more.”


Voldemort shook, insane jubilation twisting his features as the ghost of Dumbledore began to fade, the hems of his robes evaporating into mist.


“I am so much more, you old fool,” Voldemort boasted.


Harry sensed a change in the magic traveling in his direction. It flickered as Voldemort’s concentration wavered as he reveled in his impending triumph. Harry felt Ginny tug on his hand as the last wisps of Dumbledore’s ghost floated past him, filling his middle with a sense of warmth.


Now.


Harry didn’t need to see the change. He felt it. Their bond, overflowing with power, pushed against the boundaries Ginny had set. For the briefest of moments, Harry closed his eyes and was blinded by the rush of Ginny’s magic, so bright and white it destroyed all in its path. He opened his eyes, and stiffened his arm. Ginny’s hand was crushing his. He didn’t know if she could feel it, but he squeezed a little tighter. He steadied himself and felt the ribbons burst.


Ginny tore down the boundary and pushed. With every bit of energy she could find within herself, she channeled her and Harry’s combined power into a stream of lightening that shot through their ribbons, through their bond, through their hands, into Harry’s blood and out through his wand. She kept pushing, her mind searching for any stray magic that was left behind, anything to make sure this worked. She felt Harry pull forward, the force of the silent Obliteration Charm propelling him from her, toward Tom’s blood, the anchor of the bond.


Ginny felt the charm hit before she heard Voldemort’s shriek. She welcomed the pain, the tearing of the ribbons that tied her to him. She doubled over, her hand connected with Harry’s, her body on fire. She panted, dizzy from effort, blackness creeping in on the edges of her consciousness. She began to shake and whimpered from the pain.


Harry’s wand shook violently and the band of light between him and Voldemort rippled. Voldemort’s hand jerked as the spell tore through him, ripping his blood apart. His screech of agony drew stares from down below. Voldemort let go of his wand with one hand to claw at his skin, tearing the boils and sores open. His wand hand wobbled “ and then broke away. The connection was broken.


Ginny sobbed. It was too much. She couldn’t take it. She needed to stop the burning, the tearing within her blood. She saw burnt, ragged edges of ribbons, their frayed ends waving to her, telling her to let go. But she wasn’t supposed to let go. Something else was supposed to happen here. But relief beckoned. The peace, the stillness…she landed with a thump on the ground, the cool, damp grass padding her hot skin.


Harry stumbled and almost tripped over Ginny. Voldemort teetered on his feet and fell to his knees. Figures dressed in black began to descend but were stopped by a flash of auburn and a cry that bounced off every stone, still standing or long gone, as it filled the sky.


”THEY’RE MINE!”


Relief washed over Harry. That territorial declaration could only come from Molly Weasley. Harry sent a fast and silent thank you for all the love and protection Molly had given him before he turned and used that very protection to save her daughter. He reached into his and Ginny’s bond and pushed all his love for her into the ribbons. His heart clenched as he felt the resistance. He pleaded.


Come on, Gin. Just like we planned. You take my magic for the Obliteration Charm then, I give you my love to live, he willed desperately. He held nothing back. You can’t overpower the heart with love. We’re not done yet. I need you to live. Come on, Gin. Please, Ginny. I love you. I need you!


Ginny jerked as if she’d been woken from a deep slumber. Harry fell back and almost dropped his wand as what was left of Ginny’s magic flooded into him and traveled straight to his heart. His eyes watered with tears. She was alive. His mind registered Voldemort struggling to stand. He ripped the circlet from his belt. It fell to the ground, wobbling round and round until it rested expectantly in the grass.


Dropping to his knees, his hand clasped in Ginny’s, Harry flung his hand out, his wand steady. He inhaled and shouted.


“DISCENERA NATURUS!”


A stream of light, pure and untouched, born from true love, encircled the Dark Lord. Voldemort’s neck cracked as his head flew back, his mouth open in a silent scream, his arms stretched wide. He stood still, frozen in time, as the magic filled him, racing through his blood, freezing him from the inside out, seeking his spirit.


Harry felt Ginny’s presence leave his heart and her body give out as she passed into unconsciousness on the ground. He was left alone, his wand aimed, light streaming from it into Voldemort. His body ached from exhaustion. His muscles screamed to let go. He just wanted to drop his hands and lay down next to Ginny. But he couldn’t.


He swallowed hard, his eyes unable to leave the portrait of pure pain before him. Harry felt his power waver, the magic flooding from his wand flicker. Determined, Harry poked the wand into the air and redoubled his effort, taking whatever he had within him and sending it out.


Harry felt the end result before he saw it. Just as Merlin’s spirit had, Voldemort’s essence emerged. But instead of a pure entity, Tom Riddle’s spirit was a sooty snake slithering up from his insides, out of his mouth and onto the strand of magic attached to Harry’s wand. Harry screamed as his scar exploded with the full force of Voldemort’s essence.


Ginny moaned. Harry dropped her hand and covered his right hand with his left on his wand. With what was left of his physical strength, Harry pulled, his arms feeling like they were trying to move through thickening cement. Shaking, his wand moved until it pointed at the circlet, the spirit at Harry’s wrist.


His world going black, Harry’s voice rang out hoarsely, “Exonero!”


A distinct ‘Pop!’ emitted from the end of his wand and the strand of blackness representing Tom Riddle, slithered back from Harry. It hung in mid-air for just a moment before the stones in the circlet flared and sucked it down entrapping it for all time. The gems glowed, then, one by one, shot a beam of colored light into the air forming a rainbow beacon reaching for the moon and stars.


A truly beautiful sight completely missed by Harry who succumbed to the darkness, falling to the ground next to Ginny.


++++


Clutching Nathan’s arm with one hand, the other under her belly, Anna breathed in fresh air as her feet hit the ground. Her eyes were drawn to the sky and the beacon of light.


“It is done,” she whispered.





+++++


A/N “ Again, I apologize for the split chapter.


No, this isn’t the end. And the next chapters are still WIP but I'll get them out asap.


My many, many thanks to wvchemteach for his endless supplies of ideas. For Anya who finds the missing p’s and q’s. To Bogus7 “ sorry, it’s another long one.

Thanks!
Touch by kjpzak
Disclaimer “ I do not own Harry Potter.




Touch





The ribbons danced before Harry’s eyes, a brightly colored silk rainbow waving against the blue sky. But it was blue only for a moment. He watched as the sun went away. Or was it just a light? He wasn’t sure. Without it though, the blue turned to smoke grey and the ribbons frayed. He could see the ragged ends, the thread unweaving slowly as the ribbons began to lose color.


Harry screamed silently and threw his heart forward. It wasn’t enough. The ribbons regressed. And so did he.


+++++



Clutching Nathan’s arm with one hand, the other under her belly, Anna breathed in fresh air as her feet hit the ground. Her eyes were drawn to the sky and the beacon of light.


“It’s done,” she whispered.


Nathan stood still next to his wife bathing in the almost daylight sheen from the magic.


“Do you suppose they can see that at Hogwarts?” Anna asked.


“I don’t know,” Nathan answered honestly. “I’m sure they can feel it though.”


Anna squeezed Nathan’s arm. “Nathan, they need your help. Go.”


Nathan looked down at his wife, torn with indecision.


“Go,” she repeated and gave him a slight push. “I can’t be of much help. But you can.”


“Let me get you to St. Mungos ““


“No, Nathan, I can get to St. Mungos on my own.”


“Anna, you can barely walk ““


“Nathan, we’re wasting time. Go.” Anna pulled a chain out from under her shirt. A sickle, tarnished and scratched, was suspended on the chain. “I’ll be fine.”


“You still have that?” Nathan asked surprised.


“Rule 606.12.A. All Gringotts Employees must wear a standard issue, single use, single person Portkey that will transport them directly to the lobby of St. Mungos Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries in case they find themselves suffering from said magical malady or injury,” Anna recited. “I just wish I could stay and help.”


“Always the Gryffindor, aren’t you?” Nathan kissed her forehead softly.


“I’m sure there are others here who need this more than I do.”


“Anna, you need to go. You’re wrist is swollen, you’re dehydrated and hungry. And you’re pregnant, in case you forgot.”


Anna chuckled. “Little hard to do that these days.”


“I’ll go if you go,” Nathan smiled.


Anna stood on her tip toes and kissed her husband. “Deal.”


“Be safe. I love you.”


Anna touched his cheek and smiled. “I love you, too. Meet me at St. Mungos?”


“You know, they aren’t really known for their romantic atmosphere, but if that’s what you want…”


Rolling her eyes, Anna waved him off. She swayed slightly on her feet. Another wave of cramps started on one side of her belly and traveled its width. It wasn’t the first. She knew it was time to go.


“Alright, Little One,” she whispered, rubbing the Sickle Portkey between her thumb and forefinger, “let’s go get checked out.”


++++


Ginny drew a breath and cried. Her chest felt as if she had swallowed fire. She flung herself into the ribbons and scrambled along their lengths. The weaving became unstable. She wobbled, loosing herself as the silk waved beneath her, not willing to believe what her heart understood. She came to the end of one of the strands. It was burnt and black and dying.


Tears streamed inside as she threw herself into the blackness and clung to what was left of her bond.


++++



Nathan glanced over his shoulder to where Anna had been moments before. He rubbed his thumb over his wedding band. It was comfortably warm. For the first time in several hours, he felt centered and in control. He pressed his hand to his numb ribs. Anna and the baby were safe and in good hands. It was time to finish here.


One by one, the pockets of spell battles were being extinguished. The Dark Lord was dead. The Order members were rounding up the Death Eaters who were alive and had not Disapparated. Nathan straightened his shoulders and started off in the direction of a small group huddled on the ground, almost toppling over as a compact red headed tornado barreled past him.


“Arthur! Arthur! How are they? Oh, heavens, they’re so pale. Arthur, have you checked? Are they “ are they breathing? Arthur?”


Molly fell to her knees beside Harry and Ginny. She gathered her daughter into her arms; crushed her to her chest; and pressed her cheek to Ginny’s nose.


“She’s breathing, Arthur. She’s breathing “ and she’s crying. She needs a doctor. We need to get them to St. Mungos “ “


“Molly, calm down,” Arthur said hoarsely as he knelt down next to his wife.


“Calm down? Calm down! Arthur, how do you expect me to calm “ Nathan! Nathan, what is wrong with them? What did you do to them?” Molly’s shriek crossed the moor for all to hear.


Nathan winced and crouched down beside her. He reached out and felt for a pulse. He willed his eyes to stay on their forms and not look over at the shell that had been Tom Riddle. He was afraid if he did he would see that there really wasn’t much difference between Lord Voldemort and Harry and Ginny. He, too, was still and grey and cold. But he wasn’t breathing. And these two were.


Nathan was glad it was dark. Darkness hides fear and concern rather well. Yes, Harry and Ginny were breathing “ barely. Their skin was translucent and cold. Their bodies were bent in an uncomfortable looking, painful position.


He could see moisture on Ginny’s cheeks. Her hair was matted to her head, clumps stuck together, running down her forehead like streaks of blood. Her lips were cracked and blue. Her skin reflected the moonlight and allowed the burns and bruises to grow darker. Her hands were curled up, her fingers frozen.


Harry’s chest barely moved as his lungs sucked in air. It seemed impossible, but his knuckles were whiter than his skin as his hand still clutched his wand. His hollow cheeks were streaked with dirt and sweat and darkening dried blood.


Nathan’s voice cracked as he spoke. “They’re alive, Molly ““


“They aren’t awake -“


“Molly, they need to go to St. Mungos ““


“I know that! What is wrong ““


“Molly, St. Mungos. Will you take them?”


Nathan’s voice cut through Molly’s panic.


Molly stopped her mouth wide open. She clamped it shut as Arthur put his hand on her shoulder. She nodded mutely.


“Tell the Healers they are suffering from severe spell damage. I will be there shortly to see if I can answer any further questions,” Nathan assured her.


“I can help, too,” Remus offered as he joined the group.


“Me, too.” Ron’s breathing was labored as he limped over to the group, Hermione at his side.


“Remus, will you take Fleur?” Bill asked.


Lupin nodded and Bill transferred Fleur’s weight to him.


Bill touched the side of Fleur’s cheek gently. “I need to go back down.”


“Be safe,” Fleur whispered and kissed him softly.


“Alright,” Nathan said briskly, “Molly, you take Ginny. Ron and Hermione, you take Harry. Remus, you have Fleur. I’ll help Bill.”


Nathan touched Remus’ arm. “Remus, could you look in on Anna? She should already be there.”


Remus gave Nathan a reassuring smile. “I’ll be happy to.”


Molly reached out for Arthur. “Come as soon as you can,” she instructed softly.


“I will, Molly dear,” he replied and pressed a kiss to her forehead.


With a deep breath, Molly gathered her daughter in her arms and along with the others, Disapparated.


++++


Harry knew he was lost. And he hurt. And he was cold. His blood felt like mud. He was tired. He just wanted to stop searching. If he stopped searching perhaps the ache would go away. Perhaps he wouldn’t feel so alone. Perhaps he could just go to sleep “

No. He couldn’t. If stopped searching, he wouldn’t have peace. He needed peace.


++++


“Arthur,” Moody growled at him as he passed. “Have you seen Nathan?”


“He’s over helping Bill,” Arthur replied. “They’re going back down ““


“I need to know what do with this.”


Arthur glanced back at Moody, his gaze following where Moody’s wand pointed. The circlet lay quiet on the ground at his feet, the jewels, still and solid, holding Tom Riddle’s soul intact.


Automatically, Arthur’s eyes traveled past the circlet to where Tom Riddle fell. A building surge of hatred flooded his body as he took in what was left of the Dark Lord.


“Rather pathetic,” Moody commented.


Arthur stepped forward, his mind on destroying what remained of the man who had hurt so many of his family. His nostrils flared and his fists clenched at his sides. Ginny and Harry and Percy and all the rest - fighting to live because of this “ this thing. Arthur swallowed against the bile rising from his stomach. He didn’t feel Moody’s hand around his arm until he stumbled, pulled backward by the voice of reason.


“He’s dead, Arthur, there’s nothing more you can do to him.”


Arthur opened his mouth to argue that fact.


“You can make sure he stays dead by finding Nathan.”


Moody’s magical eye twirled in its socket as it searched the moor. His normal eye focused on Arthur. Arthur exhaled and shut his mouth. His shoulders slumped.


“Nathan needs to tell us what to do with it,” Moody poked the air above the circlet with his wand.


“I “ I thought it was going to Hogwarts to be guarded,” Arthur replied, his eyes drawn back to Tom Riddle’s body. It would take some time to let go of this anger.


“I can’t touch it,” Moody stated.


“You can’t touch it?” Arthur repeated.


“I won’t touch it,” Moody clarified.


Arthur paused. Moody. “Ah,” he nodded. “We need Nathan.”


“That’s what I said,” Moody noted dryly.


“I’ll be right back,” Arthur said.


+++++


Ginny huddled within herself. There wasn’t any place for her to go. She held the ribbons that had no anchor and wept. She tried to heal the ones that held fast but she had nothing left to give. She needed Harry but Harry wasn’t there.


+++++


Nathan handed Joanna back her scarf. “You going to be okay, Neville?”


Neville nodded from behind his handkerchief. “Yeb. Tanks.”


“No problem,” Nathan grinned. “That will take you to Madam Pomfrey. She should be able to patch you up in no time.”


“Thank you, Professor,” Joanna said and held the scarf out to Luna and Neville.


In a whirl, they were gone.


Nathan spotted Bill kneeling by the station stone. Bill pulled out his wand and aimed it. The stone slowly moved.


“Need some help?” Nathan asked as he stopped by Bill’s side.


Bill nodded gratefully at Nathan. “If they can spare you that would be nice.”


“Nathan!” Arthur panted as he jogged up beside them. “Moody needs you. He needs to know what to do with the circlet.”


Nathan looked apologetically at Bill who waved him off. “Go. I’ll be fine.”


“Can I help?” Arthur asked his son.


Bill smiled. “I’d like that, Dad. Thanks.”


Arthur held up his wand. ”Lumos. Do you know how we’re going to find him?” he asked quietly.


Bill nodded toward the stone. Arthur squinted through the early dawn light and realized the red in the sky moved.


“Fawkes,” Arthur said quietly.


“Fawkes,” Bill repeated and lit his wand.


Fawkes spread his wings and flapped once, raising himself from his perch. Circling the moor, he swooped into the tunnel leading down below the earth. Silently, father and son followed.


+++++


At St. Mungos, Tonks tiredly broke away from the group of Healers as she saw Anna step off the stairs.

“Wotcher, Anna,” she greeted quietly.


“Tonks,” Anna replied. She stopped and leaned against the wall to catch her breath. “Are you hurt?”


“Nothing bad,” Tonks assured her. “I’m setting up guard duty for Harry and Ginny.”


“Oh,” Anna replied faintly. She wasn’t feeling all that well. The Portkey had dropped her in the lobby. No one had bothered her as she made her way up the stairs. But it seemed like she’d been climbing forever. She was lightheaded and nauseous. Anna swallowed, her tongue feeling thick and dry. Tonks began to blur in front of her eyes. She shivered.


“Anna, are you alright?” Tonks asked worriedly as she placed a steadying hand on Anna’s elbow.


Anna nodded. Then shook her head. Then everything went black.


++++


“So, let me get this straight,” Moody said, “the only two who can touch this thing are at St. Mungos?”


Nathan crossed his arms over his chest and nodded.


“What bloody idiot thought of this plan?” Moody growled.


“That would be the two in St. Mungos at the moment, too,” Nathan said mildly.


“Borgin, you don’t sound concerned about this.”


Nathan knelt on the damp grass and studied the circlet. “Alastor, this is the most incredible magical object ever to exist. Have you even stopped to ponder ““


“No.”


“Well, I mean, just think about it ““


“No.”


“ “ the power it holds, both dark and light ““


“Borgin!”


Nathan looked up and grinned. “Sorry, Alastor.”


“Just figure out how we’re going to transport the bloody thing, will you!” Moody ordered exasperatedly.


“Where’s it going?” Nathan asked as he stood up and brushed grass off his knees.


“Hogwarts,” Moody answered. “I don’t trust the Ministry.”


Nathan smiled. “No, you don’t. The only way Tom’s essence will escape is if somehow the love magically placed within this circlet is broken. Harry and Ginny’s love for each other binds the others together.” Nathan glanced at Moody whose magical eye was rolling skyward. “What?”


“Just get on with it, will you? Professors!” Moody grumbled.


“Takes one to know one,” Nathan commented dryly. “True love endures all things “ odd, that’s how this whole thing started ““


“Borgin!”


“Right,” Nathan chuckled. He couldn’t help it. The events of the evening were beginning to surface within him and he found himself just wanting to laugh. He was afraid if he didn’t laugh, he’d be sobbing. Nathan cleared his throat and pointed his wand.


”Wingardium Leviosa.”


The circlet rose in the air and floated in front of Moody. Nathan grinned at him. Moody’s eyes rolled.


The sound of someone Apparating made Nathan turn his head. Tonks came barreling toward him, pink hair flying. His heart dropped. He knew where she’d come from.


Tonks skidded to a stop in front of them. “It’s Anna,” she panted.


Moody’s wand shot out. Nathan waited long enough for the levitating charm to transfer wands and was gone.


++++


“What do you mean they aren’t responding?” Molly asked, her voice deadly in its unnatural calmness.


Healer Meyers took a step back. She had been a Mediwitch too many years to not recognize the eruption held at bay by such a tone.


“I’m sorry, ma’am,” she answered, “they seem to be suspended, so to speak.”


“Suspended?” Molly repeated.


Healer Meyers took another small step back and met the wall. She nodded. “We have had our top Healers examine them. We’ve followed your instructions ““


”NATHAN!”


Healer Meyers jumped and pressed her hand to her heart as Molly’s full volume shriek filled the waiting room.


“Nathan! Thank Merlin you’re here! Harry and Ginny “ they aren’t - Nathan! Do you hear me? Where are you going?”


“Molly “ I’m sorry “ it’s Anna ““ Nathan’s eyes were bright with fear.


“It’s Harry and Ginny, too!” Molly argued.


“Professor Borgin?” Healer Meyers inquired.


Nathan nodded distractedly. “You know where Anna is?”


“Yes, I do. I’ll take you to her,” Healer Meyers assured him. She then turned to Molly. “Mrs. Weasley, Harry and Ginny’s conditions are stable. I will return shortly. Professor Borgin, this way.”


Nathan’s eyes met Molly’s apologetically as he was steered down the hall toward his wife and baby. Healer Meyers looked back over her shoulder to see Molly collapse in one of the chairs in the waiting room. She could tell from here Molly was crying.


Healer Meyers sighed. It was going to be a long shift.


+++++


Ginny could feel Harry. He was there. He was close but at the same time, he wasn’t. She could sense him through the ragged ribbons she clung to. They were becoming worn in patches, the woven strands separating and thinning with time. She tried to send her love through the colors but she had no power to do so. It bled into the graying silk and stopped within her reach. Ginny’s heart clenched.


True love was supposed to endure all things.


+++++



Several days later, Arthur Weasley pushed aside the copy of Witch Weekly covering the chair and sat down. Setting down a mug of tea he had snuck from the tea room upstairs, he idly picked up the magazine. He read the titles of the featured articles “


How to Befriend the Rats in Your Attic “ Stop Their Freeloading Ways in Ten Easy Steps.


Look Years Younger with our Daily Spa Regimen “ Potion Recipes Inside!


Save Sickles this Holiday Season with our Cost Cutting Tips!



Arthur glanced up at the date and sighed. He knew how the magazine must feel - old and worn out. Placing the journal next to his tea, Arthur picked up The Daily Prophet and leaned back in the worn hospital chair. He rubbed his slightly sore chest and contemplated the waiting room. Not that there was anything new in the waiting room to study since they had arrived three “ no, four, days ago. The magazines could attest to that. Granted four days ago this waiting room had been filled with people bustling with purpose. Now it felt a bit lonely. Of course that was only because he’d finally convinced Molly to pop back home to freshen up. She’d be back soon.


Arthur spread out the paper on the cluttered table in front of him.


New Minister of Magic Announced



Three days after the demise of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, Ameila Bones, head of the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, has been named the new Minister of Magic. Milton Blevins, the acting Interim Minister, has stepped down. Mr. Blevins took over as Minister of Magic when Cornielus Fudge resigned approximately seven months ago.


In a press conference late yesterday, Mr. Blevins stated that it has been an honor to serve as the Minister and looks forward to supporting the new Minister as he returns to his previous position as Head of the Department of International Magical Cooperation.


Following a rather unfortunate kidnapping, Ameila Bones has returned full time to the Ministry and is anticipating her new role with great enthusiasm. “I am quite excited to lead our Ministry and our country into this new time “ this new era of peace,” Ms. Bones announced.


When asked what her first course of action would be, Ms. Bones answered that she hopes to build on top of Mr. Blevin’s achievements in strengthening the magical population’s confidence in the Ministry, while determining the proper levels of safety preparedness, not only for the Ministry, but also the public. “While it is true that we are beginning a time of great celebration,” Ms. Bones stated, “we cannot dismiss the possibilities. I do not want to alarm anyone. I simply want to keep us all safe.”



Arthur smiled as he flipped the pages. Finally a Minister Moody could relate to, he surmised. As he folded the paper along the middle crease, his eyes caught on a small article near the bottom corner.


Boy Who Lived “ No Change


Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived Again, remains a patient in St. Mungos. The hospital is keeping quiet about the state of his well being. There is also no word on the health of Ministry employee Arthur Weasley’s daughter Ginevra who was also seriously injured in the battle with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named.


“Oh, for Merlin’s sake,” Arthur muttered under his breath and closed the paper. Tossing it down on the table in front of him, Arthur pushed himself out of his chair, his muscles protesting the movement. He may not have been admitted to the hospital for any serious issues, but his body had been telling him for several days that he was a little out of shape for such intensities as battling the Dark Lord. Slowly bending over to pick up his tea, he carried it to the door across the way and peeked in.


Ginny lay in one of the beds, pale and unmoving. Harry lay in the bed next to her. He didn’t look much better. When Molly had brought them here, the Healers had placed them in separate rooms for their initial evaluations. Several hours later, the Healers had approached the growing group of concerned faces gathered with little news. Harry and Ginny were, for lack of a better term, catatonic. They were lifeless yet still alive. Yes, they were breathing. Yes, their hearts beat. Yes, their magical reserves were low. But past the outward bumps, bruises, cuts and scrapes, there wasn’t much they could do. There wasn’t much they could do because, quite frankly, they didn’t really know what was wrong.


Neither one was responding to any of the known treatments. This wasn’t common spell work. This wasn’t a common witch or wizard. It would take time and research to figure out the best way to treat it. Molly had determined they could start treating it by putting Harry and Ginny at least in the same room.


“I’m not spending valuable time running from one room to the other! I’ve got enough rooms to visit right now! No one will find out anyway!”


And no one had. The Order had seen to that. Remus and Tonks outlined a schedule, stationing members at the door to the floor to chase off unwanted visitors such as the press. Milton Blevins, and now Amelia Bones, had offered full support of the Ministry and the use of the utmost trusted Aurors for the purpose of guard duty. Such duty pretty much meant crowd control, and the Aurors were kept busy keeping the press and well-wishers at bay.


Waving at Kingsley Shaklebolt who was on guard duty, Arthur pushed the door open to Harry and Ginny’s room and made his way to the chair in between the beds. He sat down and cradled his mug in his hands. His eyes swept his daughter and the boy he considered his seventh son and once again he felt helpless.


As a father, Arthur Weasley had tried his best to always be there for his children. He did his best to support them, to comfort them, to patch them up when they needed it. And while he may not have always agreed with their choices, Arthur believed in his children because he knew deep down they were good. But now, here he sat unable to do anything much past giving them the daily update. And so, that is what he did.


“Good morning, Ginny. Harry,” he started, his voice a little hoarse. Arthur winced, Molly’s voice echoing in his ears.


”They may not respond, Arthur, but they hear you so do try to be cheerful. No one wants to wake up after sleeping for so long and only be able to remember a vague sense of dreariness!”


Sleeping. That’s what Molly called it. Harry and Ginny were sleeping. Arthur didn’t have the heart to tell her any differently “ mostly because he wanted to believe her. Clearing his throat, he tried again.


“I’ll apologize right off if I repeat anything you already know. I don’t know what Molly has told you already. So, as you might have guessed Ron and Hermione are back at Hogwarts. Ron’s limping a bit, but if you ask me it’s more for sympathy from Hermione. Although I don’t know how long that will last,” Arthur smiled, remembering how Ron’s limp had progressively gotten worse the more Hermione fussed over him. “They will be back this evening for a short visit. You’ll remember that Minerva “ or perhaps I should say Headmistress McGonagall “ has allowed them short visits while you’re here. The Healers think it may help if your friends are around.”


Arthur took a sip of tea and continued. “Of course, Hermione said something about needing to catch up with the NEWT study schedule. I’ve never heard of one, but it appears she and Ron are days behind. As are you, she pointed out yesterday. In fact, she’s a bit peeved at you, Harry, for that reason. I told her I’d reiterate her displeasure to you.” Arthur leaned closer to Harry’s bed and dropped his voice to a conspiratorial whisper. “Really, I think that’s just her way of showing her concern, Harry.”


“Now, Neville looks like he’s been in a bit of row. That broken nose of his has given him two black eyes. Madam Pomfrey told him, after breaking it again, he might always have a bit of a jaunt to it. Oh, and snore “ Poppy said he might snore. Minerva said you should have seen that boy blush. That was probably because Joanna was standing right next to him when they told him. She seems like a nice girl, Joanna does.”


Arthur drained his mug and set it on the floor by his feet. He then sat back in his chair and laced his fingers across his middle.


“Fleur healed in no time. She said it’s the Veela blood in her. Just a few scars, nothing more. Oh, and Kingsley Shacklebolt’s leg healed up quickly, too. He’s back at work and currently serving guard duty. And let’s see…oh, yes, Anna. She and Nathan have had a bit of a rough patch with the baby. The Healers have stabilized her finally and put her on bed rest. She was released - let’s see, what day is it? Oh, yes,” Arthur said, consulting his memory, “yesterday. She’s been told she might, if everything settles down, be able to resume a part time work schedule from home in a few weeks. Nathan’s ribs healed just fine, but it still hurts for him to laugh. He’s avoiding Fred and George for a bit ““


“And we’re rather offended by that,” Fred commented from the doorway.


“Everyone knows laughter is the best medicine,” George nodded, following his brother into the room.


“I’m not sure that holds true for broken ribs,” Arthur commented wisely. “What are you two up to?”


“Just came from checking in on Percy,” Fred answered.


Arthur sat up straight in his chair. “What did you do to him today?”


“Us? Do anything to our dear brother?” George blinked his eyes innocently.


“George,” Arthur said sternly.


By the time Molly had delivered Percy to St. Mungos, he was unconscious. The Healers said he had lost a lot of blood but that was easily remedied. What was not so easily fixed was Percy’s thinking process. The Healers had determined Percy would regain full use of all his mental faculties in due time. However, because it had been such a severe blow to the back of his head, combined with the act of Apparation, Percy’s current mental processing skills were a bit muddled.


Molly and Arthur had agreed to keep this to themselves for two very obvious reasons. Unfortunately, those two very obvious reasons had ended up at St. Mungos following the battle relatively unscathed. After being released by the Healers, Fred and George had gone to check in on the incoming wounded. Most everyone was huddled around Harry and Ginny which left them a little time to wander. Percy, having been admitted earlier, was settled in a room just down the hall. It hadn’t taken long for the twins to determine that with just a little prodding and encouragement, they could convince their older brother of things he had no way to refute.


For the first two days of his stay, Percy had believed he was Madam Rosmerta. The Healers finally had to bind him to his bed as he kept hopping out of it, nicking medical supply trays and attempting to serve passing visitors glasses of hospital water claiming it was aged Firewhiskey. Yesterday, Percy had believed he was the Head Healer of St. Mungos and had ordered medical procedures on anyone who entered his room. When Percy had ordered full physicals for Fred and George, Fred had quickly convinced his brother he was a children’s entertainer. Percy had snuck out of his room and made it the children’s ward, hospital gown flapping behind him, before anyone caught him.


“Who is he today?” Arthur asked in half-hearted disapproving tone.


“Minister of Magic,” Fred answered.


“He’s demanding copies of protocol agreements and herb standard reports at the moment,” George added.


Arthur looked gravely at his two sons, fighting to keep from smiling and loosing the battle. “I bet he’s rather good at that, isn’t he?”


”Damn impressive,” Fred nodded.


“How are they doing?” George asked.


“No change,” Arthur shook his head as Fred and George conjured two stools out of the air and sat down.


“Wish we could convince them of waking up as easily as we can convince Percy he’s the lead singer of the Weird Sisters,” Fred said as he rested his chin in his hands.


“Me, too,” Arthur sighed.


Silence filled the room as the three Weasley men studied the still faces of Harry and Ginny, each one trying to figure out if there was anything he could have done differently to have prevented this. Arthur stirred first.


“Percy believed he was the lead singer of the Weird Sisters?” he asked.


“Yeah,” George smiled wistfully, his eyes on Ginny. “He was rather good, too.”


“Little off key,” Fred admitted, “but, yeah, rather good.”


“I hope for your sake he doesn’t remember any of this,” Arthur observed and paused for a moment before continuing. “If you get him to do it again, though, come get me. I’d like to see that one. Just don’t tell your mother.”


++++


Harry felt the tug on his heart but couldn’t see the bond. His world was filled with blackness. But he felt it. He didn’t know if Ginny felt it. She was always much stronger than he was at sending magic into the bond. But this was love and sending love into the bond was easy now that he knew how. It was just a matter of finding a ribbon in all the darkness to send it down.


++++


Bill settled himself on a stool that had been left to the side of Ginny’s bed. He shifted his weight to get comfortable and felt the stool legs give a wobble. He made the connection seconds before landing on his backside on the cold tile floor, the stool beside him, its legs a mess of wiggly jelly.


“Fred and George visited earlier, didn’t they?” Bill asked his sister and Harry as he pushed himself off the floor. Bill lifted up the stool which now resembled something like a jellyfish with the four legs dangling. The seat itself mocked him, flashing ”Another Fine Product of Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes.”


“Well, Harry,” Bill said and tossed the dissolving stool under a bed, “I hope you can see what you are responsible for doing.” After giving the chair in between the beds a once over, Bill gingerly sat down and relaxed as it held his weight. “Of course,” Bill settled back, “there are worse places to laugh than St. Mungos.”


Bill looked at Ginny and deflated a bit, the tug in his heart creating an ache that wasn’t going away. She was so…quiet. Bill didn’t like it when Ginny was quiet “ mostly because he could never really remember a time when Ginny had been quiet. Quiet didn’t suit her all that well. There was too much life within her to be constrained and contained. It had no choice but to bubble forth.


Bill reached out and placed his hand over Ginny’s resting on the top of her blankets. He wouldn’t call it warm, but it wasn’t cold either. It just felt like it was missing something. Bill wrapped his fingers around it and squeezed.


“So, Ginny,” Bill started, his voice a little husky, “Anna owled me today. Harry, you may want to pay attention to this, too. You know Anna is not supposed to be working - ‘course she claims this isn’t working. It’s just letter writing,” Bill chuckled. “Anna doesn’t sit well. Nathan mentioned that. Now I can see what he means.


“Anyway, Anna said Gringotts is thinking of starting an internship type program “ sort of as a way to interest students in working for them. It doesn’t pay much, but it pairs you up with an experienced curse breaker and lets you go to a few sites. Not that the two of you need that kind of experience. Anna said she was sure both of you would be accepted to the program seeing as she’s heading it up. I told her I’d let you know so you could think it over. It would be for the summer.”


Bill looked between Harry and Ginny’s closed eyes and blinked rapidly. He deflated. His shoulders slumped as he hung his head and stared at his shoes. “I wish there had been a different way to do this,” he whispered. “I can’t help but feel responsible for putting you two in this state. I should have researched the charm more, should have known…” Bill’s voice trailed off and he dug in his pocket with his free hand for his handkerchief.


Blowing his nose, Bill leaned his head back and blinked at the ceiling. “Fleur says I’m being too hard on myself. Anna told me to buck up and move on today. I wanted to yell at her for that. She didn’t mean anything by it. She just meant that it was your choice. But I can’t help it. I still feel responsible…”


Bill’s shoulders shuddered. He struggled to regain control over his breathing and swiped at the tears falling down his cheeks.


“There’s no crying in curse breaking, by the way,” Bill cleared his throat, “so when you two start this summer, no tears. Just good common sense spell work.”


Taking a deep breath, Bill stood up. “I’ve got to get back to work, now. I’ll stop by later, alright? You can think the whole internship thing over and let me know then.”


Leaning over, Bill placed a soft kiss on Ginny’s cool forehead. Not trusting his voice, Bill reluctantly let go of her hand and turned toward the door. His eyes on his boots, Bill reached out for the door handle and pulled. Tonks stumbled into the room, her hand wrapped around the opposite door handle.


“Tonks! Sorry about that,” Bill said hurriedly, straightening his expression and placing a steady hand under her elbow.


“No, my fault,” Tonks apologized and brushed the fronts of her robes. “I didn’t see you on the other side. Wasn’t looking, actually.”


“You look tired,” Bill observed.


“We’re pulling double duty these days,” Tonks shrugged.


“Still crazy out there?”


“Getting better, thankfully,” she nodded.


“So it’s safe for me to return to work?” Bill asked smiling.


“Unfortunately so,” Tonks grinned. “I thought I’d grab a bite of lunch with Harry and Ginny. I take it you can’t join us?”


“No, I’ve got to get back. I’ll stop by later though.”


“Right,” Tonks smiled. “Later, then.”


“Bye, Tonks,” Bill replied and pulled the door closed behind him.


Tonks traded her wand in her pocket for her lunch. Dismissing the chair between the bed, she nudged Harry’s legs. “Oy, Harry, move it. Give a girl a seat, will you?”


Tonks wiggled herself up on the end of Harry’s bed and unwrapped her lunch. “Sorry, you two “ I know the food in here is rubbish,” she said. “I’ll be happy to smuggle you in something when you’re up to it. All you have to do is ask.”


Tonks took a bite of her sandwich and chewed, thoughtfully studying the two teenagers. “Merlin, you’re too young to be in here,” she muttered taking a deep breath. “So, you might have heard me tell Bill that it’s getting better out there. You might also have imagined that word spread pretty fast about Voldemort’s demise. For the most part everybody took the news pretty calmly, although the Department of Magical Law Enforcement has been keeping people on duty for double shifts to make sure celebrations don’t get out of hand. You can’t really throw drunk revelers in Azkaban, so they’ve transfigured the Wizengamot Chamber on the seventh floor of the Ministry “ you remember that one, don’t you, Harry? “ to a holding cell until they sober up and can be sent home with a warning. They’ve even called in Aurors to help out which is why I’ve got these lovely looking bags under my eyes. Doesn’t seem to matter what I do to the rest of my face, the bags stay.”


Tonks took another bite. “Speaking of Azkaban, we’ve done a fair job of rounding up most of the known Death Eaters. And,” Tonks said in a low whisper, “you’ll be glad to know Snape has been given a wonderful, private cell with a view.”


“Other than that, not much is going on. Remus has been acting funny over the past day or two and I know what you’re thinking “ it’s not a full moon. Fleur said Bill’s acting the same way “ all grumpy and private and growling at her, too.” Tonks held out her left hand and waggled her fingers. “Fleur and I have a feeling we know why,” she smiled wistfully at Ginny, “and just between us girls “ Harry, don’t you listen “ Fleur and I decided we had better say yes.”


Tonks took another bite of her sandwich and glanced at her watch. “Oh, Merlin, I’ve got to get back.” Hopping off of Harry’s bed, Tonks patted his feet hidden under the blankets. “I’ll stop by tomorrow, alright? Maybe try to sneak you in a few Chocolate Frogs?”


Tonks paused, biting her bottom lip to keep it from trembling. Swallowing hard, she drew a shaky breath. “Tomorrow then.”


And with that, she headed out the door.


++++


“Hello, Harry, Ginny,” Nathan said, draping his cloak over the back of the chair in between the beds. Folding his hands over his chest, he began to pace, his eyes traveling from Ginny to Harry and back again. He knew the answer was there. He knew it was right before his eyes. He just couldn’t put his finger on it.


“Anna wanted to come, but she’s not allowed up right now. Her Healer has promised her that if she behaved herself, she might be able to venture down to the Great Hall next week. She really wants to come and visit, but quiet frankly, I’m hoping you come visit her.”


Nathan walked from the door to the windows and turned. “I “ I wanted you to know that you did a stupendous job. I know that might sound rather strange, considering you’re in here, but you really did. The circlet is complete and it’s holding Voldemort’s spirit until you’re well enough to toss it into the veil. Moody is rather anxious for that to happen, obviously. We considered tossing it ourselves, but felt that because of the Prophecy, it really should be you, Harry. So, for right now, Moody has it under the most extreme guard you can imagine. I don’t even know all the intricacies of it,” Nathan admitted, shaking his head. “Probably better that way, too.”


“Professor McGonagall wanted me to let you know that while they are going ahead with a memorial service for Dumbledore, she will happily have something small and private arranged for you when you are feeling better. She thought you might enjoy that more anyway. Bill and Arthur went back down into the tunnels after it was over. It took him a little time, because of the cave-in and all, but he found Dumbledore’s body and brought him up.” Nathan cleared his throat and kept pacing. “They’ll be doing the “ the ceremony this weekend.”


“Dumbledore was very proud of you “ both of you, but especially you, Harry. Earlier this year, he told me you reminded him of me when I came to Hogwarts,” Nathan stopped at the foot of Harry’s bed for a moment. “I don’t know how you feel about that, but I took it as a great compliment,” he said softly, “to be likened to you, Harry.”


Nathan turned back to his path and continued up the room, his eyes on the beds. At the window, he turned. As the shadows fell and the sky darkened outside, Nathan continued to pace, his mind racing.


He had stolen away from the castle tonight in hopes of having some time to think. He knew the Healers were missing something. Something simple and easy. In between Anna and the baby, Dumbledore and the circlet, then of course, classes which had continued, he hadn’t been able to get here physically, but his mind certainly had never strayed far from this room. He pushed away the guilt that threatened to stop the thought process again and kept moving.


His mother had written in her journal about Mediators healing themselves. Ginny had done that before “ receding into herself to heal. That process might explain why Ginny had not improved outwardly, but not Harry. Even then, Ginny would show improvement over time and that wasn’t happening…no, something was missing that was keeping them from improving.


“Professor Borgin?” Hermione’s voice broke through his thoughts. He stopped and looked over his shoulder toward the door.


“Hermione, what are you doing here? Oh, and Ron, too,” Nathan nodded.


“Professor McGonagall gave us a Portkey to come visit,” Hermione answered. “Are we interrupting?”


“No, no, come on in,” Nathan waved. “To be honest, I’m rather glad of the company.”


“Yeah,” Ron nodded and sat in the chair between the beds.


Hermione perched on the end of Harry’s bed and looked at his face with concern. “Still no change?”


Nathan shook his head.


“Do the Healers know anything more?” she asked.


Nathan shook his head again. “I keep going over it in my mind. The spell, the drain on their magic “ it just doesn’t make a whole lot of sense,” Nathan argued out loud as he walked, “I mean, the symptoms aren’t all that uncommon.”


“The spell was, though,” Hermione noted.


“I know,” Nathan agreed, “but I think there’s more to it than that.”


“Could it be something in them?” Ron wrinkled his forehead.


“You mean, something in them not letting them heal?” Hermione looked at Ron in confusion.


Nathan stopped still, his spine straightening, his eyes widening. He pinned Ron with his stare and spoke slowly. ““Or something not in them letting them heal.”


“What?” Hermione asked impatiently and hopped off the end of Harry’s bed.


“Ron, you’re brilliant,” Nathan laughed. “Merlin, it was right in front of us!”


“I am?” Ron asked. He looked from Nathan to Hermione who was staring at him in annoyed confusion, then to Harry and Ginny. They looked…uncomfortable. They never looked “uncomfortable” when he saw them together because…


Ron groaned, his nose wrinkling, his mouth scrunching up as if he’d just eaten something rather distasteful. Nathan threw back his head and laughed. Ron pushed himself out of the chair and dragged it out of the way.


Nathan gave Ginny’s bed a shove until it touched Harry’s. Carefully, he reached out for her bonding hand and placed it gently in Harry’s.


“Oh,” Hermione whispered. “Of course.”


“So simple,” Nathan said softly, as he picked up his cloak from the end of Harry’s bed and stepped back. “Come on, you two, let’s leave them be. They have some healing to do.”


Nathan ushered a reluctant Hermione and a rather relieved looking Ron out of Harry and Ginny’s room and into the waiting room across the hall.


“Professor Borgin, will they be alright now?” Hermione asked.


“I think so,” Nathan said, glancing over his shoulder through the misted glass of the window in the door. “No, I know so. Come on, you need to get back to school and I need to go tell your Mum and Dad, Ron, and then figure out how to keep your mum from barreling in here tonight.”


“Shouldn’t we tell a Healer?” Hermione asked.


“No, I think we just need to let them be for a bit,” Nathan grinned at a rather green looking Ron. “Ron? Are you alright?”


Ron sighed heavily and nodded. “It’s just “ it’s “ “


Nathan chuckled and winked at Hermione. “You know, I hear Hagrid has some wonderful remedies for a sour stomach. Perhaps you should stop by and see him when you get back?”


+++++


It was subtle at first, like dawn. The color crept back into the ribbons, weak and watery but determined. As the love found its way, it began to strengthen the strands and fill in the gaps. The pastel shades were replaced with deepening hues. Magic began to flow along the lengths, backward and forward, from one heart to its mate.


+++++


The room glowed.


When she would retell the story to apprentice Healers years from now, Healer Meyers would continue to swear that the room glowed. It was past midnight. The shifts had changed at ten. She was making her rounds for the first time that evening. According to the report she received at the hand-off, there had been no change in Mr. Potter or Miss Weasley’s health, and since none of the alarm spells had gone off, she had left them until last. As she stood in the doorway she wondered if she had made a mistake in doing that.


Healers weren’t supposed to form attachments to patients. It wasn’t professional. But Healer Meyers couldn’t help herself. Harry and Ginny reminded her of her own children, long since grown and gone. Every time she looked at them, she thanked Merlin she had never had to go through what Molly and Arthur Weasley were going through. For that, she found herself giving Harry and Ginny a little something extra, a little more of herself.


Quietly, she tip toed to the end of the beds and let out a sharp little gasp. They were pushed together. More than that, the two young people in the beds “ well, they were all snuggled up together. Healer Meyers looked nervously around the room to see if anyone was there. Carefully, she crept to the side of Ginny’s bed and leaned in.


There was color in Ginny’s cheeks.


Healer Meyers popped her head up and looked at Harry.


There was color in his cheeks, too.


Healer Meyers felt steady, deep healing breathing on her cheek.


She felt deep, penetrating, healing warmth coming from the two bodies wrapped up in each other in the bed.


She looked up and down the spooned pair, her eyes stopping on their joined hands. Harry’s hand covered Ginny’s smaller one, their fingers entwined for all time.


Healer Meyers smiled the smile of an experienced Healer who knew a good thing when she saw it.


Humming under her breath, Healer Meyers adjusted the blankets over Harry and Ginny. Silently closing the door behind her, she placed a privacy charm on the room. No need for anyone to interrupt this room this evening. Things seemed to be working out fine on their own.


+++++


A/N “ One of my favorites. I hope you enjoyed it, too.

One note on the length of time it took for them to figure out H/G needed to be touching - remember, Bonds are rare. The last bond to occur prior to H/G was Catarina and Tom and even then they weren't common. It took a while for the knowledge to surface.

My thanks to wvchemteach who pushed it back and helped make it better and to Anya who was up at 2 AM reading it. I owe you both!

At least one more chapter to go, but alas, it is a WIP. It will up up as soon as possible, I promise!
Balance by kjpzak
A/N - I do not own Harry Potter



Balance





Ginny rolled over and groaned. Her muscles ached with every movement. Her legs, her arms, her heart, her eyes “ it all hurt. And she was thirsty - really, really thirsty. She tried to reach for a glass of water but couldn’t lift her arm. No, wait a minute, she could, but not far enough. It kept hitting something. Her mouth was filled with cotton and her nose was clogged. Annoyed, she tried to open her eyes but they were stuck shut. She tried to lift her hands to rub her eyes and couldn’t. One hand was held fast by something. She tugged at it. The hold tightened. Frustrated, Ginny lifted her free hand and hissed as her muscles complained. She pressed her forefinger and thumb into her eyelids, feeling her eyeballs give a little. She manually lifted her eyelid with her thumb. She saw black.


She blinked rapidly, both eye lids opening as her heart speeded up.


Tom was dead. He was dead. He was dead. Where was Harry?


She couldn’t see anything. Everything was black. Was she dead? Is that why she hurt so much?


“Gin, quit moving. That hurts.”


Ginny stilled and her breathing became shallow. “H-Harry?” she croaked.


She felt a vibration against her eyes as Harry chuckled. She realized she must be pressed against Harry’s chest. Shifting back slightly, she blinked at Harry’s black t-shirt.


“Gin, who else would it be?” he rasped, his voice barely above a whisper.


Ginny’s shoulders shook and the tears came without warning. “I love you, Harry,” she choked and pressed her head back to Harry’s chest.


“I love you, too, Gin,” Harry replied hoarsely.


+++++


“A lot of gumption, it is.”


“A lot of what is what?”


“Gumption, you know, nerve, daring ““


“Boldness, cheek, audacity.”


“Audacity “ I like that. Good choice, Fred.”


“Thank you, George.”


“What are you two talking about?”


“The fact that our young man Harry here has the audacity to canoodle with our little sister in public.”


“I’m not sure I’d call St. Mungo’s a public place ““


“Well, Bill, it isn’t exactly a private place either.”


“Thank you, Charlie.”


“You’re welcome, George.”


“Charlie, you aren’t helping.”


“Bill, you’re beginning to sound a bit like Percy.”


“No I’m not. He’s currently thinks he’s Madame Maxine’s butler. Polished my boots “ “


“Nice.”


“Thanks. You might want to see him later, Ron. Your shoes are looking a bit scuffed there.”


“Yeah, well, when I get done with studying for NEWTs, I’ll be right on it. In the meantime, will someone please tell me why I’m standing here?”


“It’s rather obvious, isn’t it?”


“No, it’s not. I really don’t need to see…that.”


“Neither do the rest of us, which is why we’re here.”


“I get enough of this at school. Can I go get something to eat?”


“Enough of what at school?”


“That, Charlie. I’m hungry. I’m leaving.”


“No, you’re not “ at least not until we’ve had a heart to heart with young Mr. Potter here.”


“Oh, for Merlin’s sake!”


“Strength in numbers, Ron. Come on, chin up.”


“She’ll never let us live this down, you know.”


“She?”


“She “ Ginny, she. You think she’s going to take us harassing Harry lying down?”


“Well, they’re both lying “ “


“Not right now, Charlie!”


“Sorry, Ron.”


“You know, he does have a point there.”


“Not you, too, Bill ““


“No, Fred, really. Anna’s been mentoring Ginny all year. She’s taught her some wicked hexes. I’ve lost count of the number of times Anna has stopped by my desk, her eyes all excited about some new curse she’s taught our little sister.”


“And don’t forget, Harry has gone with Ginny every time she’s gone to spend time with Anna. And did I mention what Harry did to my trunk? Those fangs ““


“Anna told me about those. I wish I’d seen them.”


“They were rather impressive.”


“Fangs?”


“Big ones.”


“Fred?”


“George?”


“Perhaps we should let Mum deal with this.”


“You know, Mum has an excellent way of dealing with these types of situations.”


“Can we get something to eat now?”


“Charlie’s buying.”


“What?”


“Last one home buys lunch.”


“Thanks, Bill.”


“Anytime, Charlie. After you.”


“Thank you, Bill.”


“You’re welcome, Fred.”


“Hmmm….would Percy be a good doorman?”


“Oh, who cares, George! Get going. I’m starving!”


“Ron, you’re always starving.”


“I’m a growing boy.”


“Good thing Charlie’s buying.”


The room fell silent.


Ginny cautiously cracked her eye open as carefully as she could without moving. She relaxed at the sight of the empty room. Snuggling deeper into Harry’s arms, she closed her eyes again.


“They’re gone?” Harry mumbled into her hair.


“Mmm,” Ginny murmured, moving her head up and down against Harry’s chest.


“Noisy lot,” Harry yawned and tightened his hold as he slipped back to sleep.



+++++


Harry propped his trainer on the end of the bed and stretched his hands toward his shoe. He groaned as his fingers waggled just out of reach of the laces. The Healers said it wasn’t surprising his muscles were so stiff. It would take some time for the residual magic to work its way out of his system. Harry sighed in defeat and dropped his hands to the bed.


“Here, dear, let me help.”


Harry looked up at Molly Weasley and grinned. “Thanks, Mrs. Weasley.”


“Harry,” Molly said pointedly as she aimed her wand at the laces, “I think by now you could at least call me Molly.”


Keeping his eyes on his laces which were looping and crossing on their own, Harry felt his cheeks warm. “Thanks, Mrs “ Molly,” he mumbled.


“Mrs. Molly works well, too,” Molly smiled and patted Harry on the shoulder. “Now, are you all set? Do you have everything? Oh “ well, I suppose you didn’t come in with much, did you,” she finished, bustling around the bed, flattening wrinkles.


“I’m ready,” Harry said.


“Good,” Molly nodded once, “I’ll go fetch Healer Meyers then to make sure we can take you to the Ministry.”


“Right,” Harry answered faintly and watched Molly push the door open.


Harry leaned back against the headboard and closed his eyes. It was a good thing Quidditch season was over. He wasn’t sure he’d have enough energy to hold onto a broom, let alone find the Snitch. Healer Meyers had told him and Ginny that it would take some time for them to regain all their physical strength. She had urged them not to rush things. ”No need to see you two back here anytime soon because you thought you could climb a mountain the day you were released!”. And after two weeks of being here, Harry had no desire to return anytime soon.


Granted, the first week he had hardly been aware of where he was. It was the second week that had driven both him and Ginny a bit batty. It seemed that bonded couples who could heal themselves after conjuring such a grand magical force were a bit of a rarity. Every Healer and Trainee Healer wanted the chance to examine them. The guard outside their door had quite the time keeping the curious at bay.


Nathan had finally promised to publish a paper on the whole ordeal just to ease the hounding. Harry had no idea how Nathan would explain what had happened. He certainly couldn’t put into words what he saw behind his eyelids. He just knew that without Ginny, he wouldn’t be alive.


His memory was a mish mash of experiences, rather than pictures. Harry didn’t remember Ron scooping up his body with the help of Hermione or being held so close that Healers had to pry his best friends’ hands from his body at the hospital. Molly had cradled Ginny to her breast, Fred and George, supporting her legs and head as they used a Portkey to get here. He had been cold for a long time after that “ not a simple chill, a frozen icy grey cold that kept him suspended in time.


Then, all of sudden, as if someone had rolled up the shades and sunshine had speared his eyes, the color of fire flooded his system. Greyish-blue was replaced with oranges, reds and yellows. He felt warmth up and down, from his toes to his scar and out through the tips of his mussed up hair. His mind reached out for that warmth and grabbed hold. He pulled it into him and wrapped his heart around it. Then, when he knew he had a good hold on it, he pushed it back again “ not letting go, but stretching it, expanding it, strengthening it.


To wake up the next morning with Ginny in his arms had been…right. It had been good. She was exactly where she should have been and no one would ever be able to convince Harry otherwise.


Over the course of the next few days, he and Ginny worked on restoring their bond. The once well woven fabric of their lives and love had taken a beating. It was ragged, torn and stretched beyond its limits. But, at the same time, it was still there, attached and waiting to be built up again. Harry had tried to help, sinking into the ribbons and working with them. Ginny, though, had to keep coming in after him - tweaking what he did, reweaving loosened ends, adjusting the patterns so they glowed brighter. In the end she became so frustrated she told him to quit. Harry felt a little guilty, but had to admit, Ginny knew what she was doing. In the end, their bond was stronger than ever, the ribbons now rich, vibrant colors that showed all the signs of a bond meant to last for the ages.


“Hey you,” Ginny said softly, breaking through his thoughts with a gentle kiss on his lips. “Healer Meyers says we’re free to go. Want to?”


“With you? Always,” Harry answered, opening his eyes and holding out his hand.


Ginny wove her fingers in with his and smiled. “Let’s go then. Dad says Moody’s been driving everyone even more batty than normal. He’s taken ‘constant vigilance’ to new levels “ not that anyone can blame him, mind you.”


“Then we’d better hurry up,” Harry said pulling the door open.


“Yes, we better,” Ginny nodded, leading Harry through the doors.


Nathan stood next to Molly in the small waiting area across from their room. Healer Meyers was doing her best to answer all of Molly’s questions on post-release care. Healer Meyers was used to concerned parents such as Molly Weasley. She was a mother first and a Healer second. She knew well that a mother felt in control when armed with as much information as possible “ even when the patients were going back to Hogwarts and being placed in the care of Poppy Pomfrey, a nurse Healer Meyers would trust with her own care.


Nathan stepped around Molly and approached Harry and Ginny.


“Are you two ready?” He gave them a searching look.


Harry glanced at Ginny who smiled encouragingly.


“Yes, sir,” Harry answered, returning Ginny’s smile.


Nathan nodded and reached out to touch Molly’s elbow. “Excuse me, Molly, Healer Meyers “ it’s time to go.”


Healer Meyers smiled warmly at Harry and Ginny. “It’s been a pleasure working with the two of you, although, I’m not sure I did all that much.”


With a glance over her shoulder, Healer Meyers stepped forward and gave both Harry and Ginny a quick hug before leaving them.


Nathan cleared his throat. “Next stop, the Ministry.”


++++


Arthur met the group by the lifts and led them down to the Department of Mysteries where Alastor Moody waited impatiently for them. Moody levitated a non-descript burlap sack in front of him. Without a word, he pushed the door at the end of the hallway open and led them through the department to the Veil.


Harry paused at the top of the stone risers. In all the time they had worked on the spell, and in all the time that Harry had known this time would come, he had not really thought about what being back in this room would mean.


The voices behind the curtain beckoned forth memories of the last time he had been here - the last time he had seen Sirius. Harry felt Ginny wrap her arms around his middle. He put his arm around her shoulders and held her close. He looked down into her eyes which looked up at him filled with love and hope and promise.


Harry’s blinked rapidly against the growing moisture at the corners of his eyes. How could his heart expand and constrict all at the same time?


“He would have been very proud of you,” Ginny whispered.


“Thanks, Gin,” Harry leaned forward and kissed her. Harry understood now that Sirius hadn’t left him anymore than his parents or Dumbledore had. They would always be a part of him because he would never forget them. “Come on,” Harry said, dropping his arm down and clasping Ginny’s hand. “I think I can hear Sirius behind the veil telling us to get a move on.”


Ginny giggled and earned a reproving glance from Moody. Schooling her features into a more serious expression, she followed Harry slowly down the steps.


Moody stood between them and the veil. With little ceremony, he removed his wand and the sack fell at Harry’s feet.


“Here you go,” he said gruffly.


Exhaling slowly, sack in hand, Harry and Ginny stepped toward the veil. The murmur of voices floated through. Unlacing his fingers from Ginny’s, Harry carefully opened the bag and reached in. Slowly, he drew out the circlet. Harry had the obscure desire to stand there, Ginny by his side, admiring the headpiece, reflecting on the stones and what each one meant. But now was not the time. Swallowing hard, Harry drew back his arm and threw the circlet containing the essence of the man once known as Tom Riddle through the Veil.


Harry held his breath. The voices faltered. The Veil glowed. Moody bellowed.


“COVER YOURSELVES!”


Harry flung himself at Ginny who dropped to her knees. Through shut eyes, Harry could see the flash of blinding light. A wail pierced his ear drums. A chorus of shrieks bombarded his mind and his scar flared with fire. As fast as it began, it ended and room was filled with silence.


Ginny could feel Harry’s heart beating wildly against her back. She could feel his breath, short and fast against her cheek. It took a moment for her to realize the buzzing in her ears were the voices resuming their murmuring behind the veil. She felt Harry shift.


“Are you alright?” she asked concerned.


“Yeah,” Harry nodded. He leaned back and squinted as he rubbed his palm over his scar. “I suppose that’s the last time that will happen.”


“Your scar?”


“Yeah,” Harry repeated. “What was that?”


“Balance of power restored,” Moody growled from behind them. “Something that evil being thrown into the mix probably caused it.”


“Good versus evil,” Nathan commented as he straightened up. Cocking his ear to the veil, he smiled. “Sounds like we won.”


“Thank goodness,” Molly exclaimed while she inspected Harry and Ginny for additional damage.


“Thank goodness, indeed,” Nathan agreed. “Now, if you’re up to it, I believe it’s my responsibility to make sure I get you back to school. NEWTs are fast approaching “ next week, in fact, in case you forgot.”


“No,” Harry sighed and shook his head. “Hermione visited yesterday.”


Nathan chuckled. “Alright, then. I’ll meet you up top.”


Harry nodded.


“Can you believe it’s done?” Ginny asked quietly at his side, her eyes on the veil.


Harry turned slightly to watch the curtain wave. It was done.


“Yes. No. I don’t know,” Harry answered honestly.


“I know what you mean,” Ginny agreed.


Harry watched the fabric ripple to the vibration of the voices behind it. He smiled wistfully. “You know, Luna says that her mum’s one of those voices.”


“I would like to meet Luna’s mother one day,” Ginny said softly.


“I would too,” Harry replied. “Gin? Do you think that maybe, well, my mum and dad and Sirius…:” Harry’s voice trailed off as his eyes watched the curtain sway.


“Yes, Harry,” Ginny replied, her voice hushed. “I do. I really do.”


A featherweight sensation overtaking him, Harry took a deep breath and smiled. “I do, too,” he said, “I do too.”


Harry took Ginny’s hand and gave the veil one last look before he joined her in climbing the stairs.


++++


Harry stumbled as his feet sunk into the rug covering the floor of the Headmaster’s office.


No, he thought slowly, righting himself, Headmistress.


Dumbledore’s dead. He jerked forward as the impact of that thought slammed into his stomach.


“You alright?” Ginny asked from his side. Her hands clutched the inkpot which had served as their Portkey back to Hogwarts.


Harry couldn’t push words past the lump forming in his throat. He nodded and lowered his head. He wasn’t ashamed of the glistening in his eyes. Nor was he afraid to share his sudden grief with Ginny. He would share anything with Ginny. But somehow, this first wave of sadness - this first part of saying, “Farewell” - this thing that he had known he would have to face but had pushed off to this point “ this was private. This was between his heart and a man he did not always agree with, but who he respected and honored. And loved.


Ginny felt the ribbons stretch as Harry’s heart constricted. She understood. Some things simply needed to be sorted out inside before they were brought forth to be examined. She closed her eyes. The ribbons relaxed and gave a little tug. She blinked and smiled a small, understanding smile. Stepping forward, she slipped one hand around Harry’s upper arm; her bonding hand she linked with his.


Harry tightened his grip on Ginny’s hand. He felt a softness form around the sharp pain in his chest, dulling it, protecting it. Ginny’s love didn’t make it go away. Instead, it made it easier to bear. Harry turned and rested his forehead against Ginny’s and closed his eyes, allowing his heartache to blend with hers, making their grief a shared burden.


Moments passed before Harry leaned back and blinked rapidly. Ginny uncurled her hand from Harry’s arm and placed her palm against his cheek. Raising herself up on her tiptoes, she placed a soft kiss on Harry’s lips.


“I miss him,” Harry whispered.


“I know,” Ginny answered. “I do, too.”


Harry straightened up and took a deep breath. He let his eyes drift around the office. Things haven’t changed all that much, he thought.


Hands linked, Harry slowly led Ginny around the office in silence, the fingers of his free hand lightly dancing over the treasured objects on the tables and shelves. He smiled at a golden glove with a bent arrow on top. He’d bent that arrow when he threw it against the wall at the end of his fifth year.


Fawkes’ perch stood empty behind the desk. Nathan had mentioned Fawkes had not returned to Hogwarts after the battle. He had flown off into the dawn and not turned back. Nathan said not to worry. Fawkes’ home was here. He would return.


Harry stepped from behind the desk and stopped at the cupboard with the Pensive in it. The door stood slightly open. Carefully, Harry slipped his fingers through the crack and opened the door. The stone bowl stood there, waiting, as it had ages ago. Harry ran his finger around its rim.


If he dove in, head first, maybe…


Standing next to Harry, Ginny’s eyes perused the portraits on the wall. One of them smiled at her. Her heart clogged her throat. The portrait winked at her. She smiled back and titled her head in the direction of Harry. Dumbledore nodded.


“Hello, Harry.”


Harry stopped still, the guilt at being caught - again - froze his hand above the pensive. Reality choked him and he almost laughed. Then, he closed his eyes to keep the tears from coming. He had known part of Dumbledore would be here. In the back part of his mind, the part where he could put things to forget, he had known. But up to this point when he had to turn and see him up there…up to this point, Harry could still make himself believe his headmaster was alive.


That he hadn’t really perished in the tunnels.


That he hadn’t died to save them.


“Harry, it’s alright.”


Harry didn’t have to see the love Ginny was pushing into their bond to know it was there. He felt it flow through him and cushion his heart against the ache. He squeezed her hand and opened his eyes.


“Professor,” Harry said, his voice a scratchy whisper.


“Hello, Harry,” Dumbledore’s portrait replied. “And good evening, Ginny. I’m glad to see you both here.”


“Thank you, sir,” Ginny replied quietly.


“There are not enough words in any language to tell you how proud I am of you,” Dumbledore said.


Harry cleared his throat. “Thank you, sir.”


“Harry, there’s a book there I want you to have “ about a young boy who didn’t always follow the rules. He spent his days riding a river, getting into scrapes, chasing a pretty girl named Becky. Funny enough, his name was also Tom.”


Harry’s eyes narrowed.


“Don’t hold that against him,” Dumbledore chuckled.


“Yes, sir,” Harry replied, stepping toward the bookshelves.


“And Ginny?” Dumbledore said quietly. “Take good care of him, won’t you? I would like to see many young messy haired red headed students in due time.”


Ginny blushed furiously as a loud thud was heard from behind the shelves.


“Oh, good, you found it, Harry,” Dumbledore noted amused.


Harry peeked around the end of the shelves, the copy of Tom Sawyer clutched to his chest.


“Read it and remember, Harry,” Dumbledore instructed, “life is about living. And it’s your turn to live now, Harry.”


Harry felt the tear escape and slide under the rim of his glasses. He sniffled and nodded. Ginny stepped up to him and wrapped her arms around his middle and squeezed. Dumbledore smiled gently and sat back in his chair.


“Now, I am sure you have someplace better to be than talking to an old portrait like me,” Dumbledore’s painted self observed. “I’ll be here when you need to chat. Now, go. The celebratory feast is waiting. Perhaps you can see if you can nick me some pudding?”


The silence was broken with Ginny’s giggle.


With a wave and a wink, Dumbledore dismissed them.


+++++


A picture of his mum and dad.


A picture of Sirius, Lupin and his dad.


A copy of Tom Sawyer.


Everyone who held a special place in his heart was represented on the table beside his bed. Everyone except Ginny. But then again, Harry thought, as he twirled the bonding braid he wore around his wrist, he carried her in his heart wherever he went.


Still, a picture might be kind of nice. Except for the ribbing he would get from Ron about having a photo of his little sister next to his best mate’s bed.


Harry grinned and glanced over at the photo Hermione smiling brightly and waving at him from a frame on the table next to Ron’s bed. Right back at you, mate.


His parents were gone. Sirius was gone. Dumbledore was gone.


Harry drew in a deep breath in preparation for the anger to overwhelm him but it didn’t come. He felt numb and a bit hollow. He rubbed the band of colors he wore with his thumb. He felt warmth. And for the first time, in a very long time, he felt hope “ a hope that bubbled forth and consumed him.


Voldemort was gone.


Harry glanced around the dorm. Everyone was gone. He snorted. Everyone was at the feast.


His heartstrings tugged in the direction of the door. Harry closed his eyes and tugged back. Ginny’s giggle floated through the air before her as she entered the dorm.


“Hey,” she smiled and stopped in front of him.


“Hey, you,” Harry answered, wrapped his arms around her and pulled her against him.


“You alright?”


“You know, you’ve asked me that already tonight,” Harry said, sliding her hair out of the way so he could place a soft kiss on the side of her neck.


“Well, you’ve, ah, looked a little lost,” Ginny sighed and smiled as she closed her eyes.


“I’m not lost,” Harry replied as he tugged her down on the bed with him.


“No?”


“Nope.” Harry slid his hands into her hair and pulled her lips to his. “I was just missing something.”


“Did you find it?” she whispered.


Harry stopped, Ginny’s breath warm against his lips, his eyes bright with intensity. He grinned widely and pulled her against him. “No, she found me a long time ago.”


Ginny’s cheeks flushed and Harry laughed. Feeling complete, Harry pressed his lips to hers and vowed to spend every day for the rest of his life trying to make Ginevra Molly Weasley blush.


+++++


“Oh!” Ginny exclaimed as the flash of Colin Creevy’s camera blinded them.


“Hello, Ginny! Hello, Harry!” Colin greeted them excitedly from just inside the doors to the Great Hall. “Ever since Ron said you were coming home tonight for the feast, I’ve been waiting here. I wanted to make sure you had a picture to remember iy by.”


“Thanks, Colin,” Harry replied as he blinked the stars away.


“Colin, I believe I have found evidence of a Gacklebeary Mouse under our table. Would you mind coming and documenting it for The Quibbler? Oh, hello, Harry. Hello, Ginny.”


“Hi Luna,” Ginny smiled. “How are you feeling?”


“I’ll be better when they remove the mouse carcass,” Luna commented. “Gacklebeary Mice are known for eating through shoe leather and feasting on human toe nails. I rather like my toe nails. I’ve charmed them with the Hogwarts’ seal for tonight’s celebration,” Luna explained as she linked her arm with Colin’s. “Come along, Colin, before someone feels a nibble on a shoe.”


“For some reason,” Ginny said and took Harry’s hand once more, “I’m not all that hungry anymore.”


Harry chuckled. “Me either. Come on, Ron’s waving at us.”


For seven years, Harry had walked the tables of the Great Hall. He was used to the eyes following him, generally combined with whispers of all volume. Tonight the eyes followed both him and Ginny. However, the whispers didn’t. In fact, as they made their way to the seats Ron and Hermione had saved for them, the Great Hall fell silent. The sound of Professor McGonagall pushing her chair back resonated off the walls. She cleared her throat.


“Since you’ve all decided to quite down, I’ll take this opportunity to say something,” she started and folded her hands together. “Many rumors have been circulating as to what occurred in the tombs under Stonehenge and on the ground above it. Some things we will never know for sure.


“This war has been costly. Not only has Hogwarts suffered losses, but many of you are also mourning the loss of loved ones. For that, I am truly sorry,” McGonagall cleared her throat.


“Professor Dumbledore would not have liked us to dwell on the past. As his portrait constantly reminds me, he was a man of forward thinking. And thinking forward means the start of exams.”


Hermione rolled her eyes as a collective outcry filled the hall. “Really! What did they think? NEWTs would be cancelled?”


“OWLs and NEWTs will begin as scheduled on Monday so I would suggest you enjoy the feast and then resume studying immediately.” Professor McGonagall blanketed the tables with a meaningful look. Her gaze came to rest on Harry and Ginny.


“I would also like to take this opportunity to say the wizarding world “ well, the entire world “ owes a thank you to Mr. Potter and Miss Weasley, along with their friends for giving us the reason to have this feast.” McGonagall nodded her head once in a silent ‘thank you’. “And,” she raised her voice, “because both of them have exams coming,up just the same as you do, please refrain from asking them to recount detail by detail exactly what went on.”


“Yes, you may read Monday’s edition of The Quibbler to get an account,” Luna called out from her seat next to Colin Creevy who was sitting at the Ravenclaw table.


“Thank you, Ms. Lovegood,” McGonagall acknowledged. “You may now return to your meal.”


Harry spread his napkin in his lap. Deciding it was a celebratory feast and therefore he was allowed dessert first, Harry reached out for the serving spoon stuck in the Treacle Tart. He glanced down the table at Ginny whose hand was mid way between the bowl of mashed potatoes and her plate. Harry realized no one else was moving.


The sound of two hands coming together interrupted the stillness. The one pair was joined by another. And another. Goosebumps ticked Harry’s arms as he felt the bench wobble. People were standing up. They were applauding.


They were applauding him and Ginny. And Ron and Hermione. And Luna and Neville and Joanna. Benches scraped as they were pushed back. A shout of excitement rose above the applause. Hermione ducked her head. Ron sat there grinning. Neville looked somewhat stunned. Joanna was speechless. Luna poked Colin in the side and motioned for him to take a photo.


Harry felt someone pull him up. For a moment he felt lost. Then, Ginny’s hand slipped into his as she too stood up. Students patted him on the back. They shook his hand. One first year Hufflepuff girl even flung herself at him and hugged him. Harry laughed.


In the midst of it all, Harry glanced up at the staff table. Hagrid raised his mug in a toast. Harry grinned back. Professor McGongall smiled proudly at him. Harry flushed. Harry caught Nathan’s eyes as he pulled out a chair for Anna to sit in. Nathan nodded his greeting. Anna blew him a kiss. Harry ducked his head and reveled in the sound of Ginny’s laughter filling his senses. Freeing his hand from Seamus Finnegan’s grasp, Harry wrapped his arms around Ginny and lifted her off the ground. Planting a solid kiss on her lips, he heard Ron groan.


It was good to be home.


++++


In the end, Harry was rather glad he hadn’t had more time to fret about NEWTs. Armed with the knowledge that he would be returning to Hogwarts next year as a part-time student, Harry had skimmed his notes and hoped for the best, finding it very hard to get worked up about the whole thing (much to Hermione’s annoyance). Voldemort was gone. He had passed the ultimate exam. He was done.


And before anyone else knew it, so where they. Hermione spent two days wringing her hands and twittering about what answers she gave and if they were correct. Ron, fed up that his girlfriend was spending more time with her nose in books double checking answers now that classes were done than she did during school, had Dobby confiscate all of them and hide them while they were breakfast. Harry then hexed her trunk. Hermione raged at Ron until he planted his lips on hers efficiently silencing her and emptying the common room simultaneously.


With exams over, students were spending their last day at Hogwarts outside, enjoying the sun and freedom that came with knowing their world was safe again. Ginny smiled, her eyes closed, the sun warm on her back. She lay stomach down on a blanket by the lake. Harry was running his fingers through her hair, watching the strands slip and slide through his fingers, his mind a blissful blank.


Off to their right, Ron leaned against a tree and Hermione rested her back on his bent legs. Hermione had decided to forgive Ron when she approached Dobby to see if she could get her books back. Dobby had informed her that Mr. Wheezy had given Dobby the last of his Honeydukes chocolate and three Chocolate Frogs for helping. Dobby was sorry, but he had already eaten the chocolate and therefore, had nothing to give Ron back if he were to “un-do” his actions. Hermione had flown back to the common room and threw herself into Ron’s surprised embrace. Luckily, it was a beautiful day and the Gryffindors, who had no desire to witness another snogging session, had headed outside.


Luna was perched on a rock floating pieces of stale bread on the lake. Periodically, a tentacle would gracefully break through the water, snatch a piece of bread and disappear below the ripples.


“Mind if we join you?”


Ginny lifted her head from the cushion of her arms and smiled at Neville and Joanna who has stopped, hand in hand, a meter away.


“Feel free,” Ginny waved and picked up her wand and lazily expanded the blanket.


“Thanks,” Joanna smiled. She sat down and crossed her legs. Neville settled himself next to her.


“So, Harry, what are you doing this summer?” Neville asked as he titled his head back to let the sun warm his face.


“Well, I “ mean, we,” Harry nodded at Ginny, “have been accepted as interns at Gringotts in their Curse Breaking department.”


“Really?” Joanna asked excitedly, “that sounds fascinating!”


“Oh, I don’t know about that,” Ginny turned over on her back and propped herself up on her elbows. “Bill keeps telling me he’s thrilled to finally have someone he can make scrub out the vaults.”


“It won’t be that bad,” Harry chuckled. “Anna’s in charge of it. She wouldn’t make us clean out vaults.”


“Will she be around all that much?” Hermione asked, shielding her eyes from the sun. “Isn’t she due this summer?”


“August,” Ginny answered.


“So, see, we’ll only have to clean out vaults for the last month,” Harry grinned.


“Actually, you’ll get to clean out vaults for the last month,” Ginny teased. “I’ll be helping Neville and Joanna.”


Neville’s cheeks, red from the sun, darkened as Joanna’s eyes lit up. “Happy scrubbing, Harry,” Joanna wished brightly.


“What’s happening in August?” Ron asked drowsily.


“Neville and Joanna are bonding,” Hermione answered.


“Doesn’t that take months?” Ron yawned.


“We’ve already been working on it,” Joanna explained and leaned against Neville. “Ginny and Professor Borgin think that with a few months of intense preparation, we should be able to do it before I head back to school and Neville starts classes.”


“You’re taking classes, Neville?” Hermione asked leaning forward.


“Yeah,” Neville flushed and looked down at his shoes. Joanna squeezed his arm and smiled into his eyes. Neville straightened his shoulders and cleared his throat. “Yes, I’m taking classes. I’ve, uh, been accepted into the Ministry’s Certification program for Herbologists. ”


“Neville! That’s wonderful!” Hermione smiled excitedly.


“Really?” Ginny asked and sat up. “I didn’t know there was such a thing.”


“Professor Sprout recommended me,” Neville smiled broadly with pride. “It’s two years of classes then an internship. I have to do a final project, too.”


“Sounds like a lot of work,” Harry commented. “Good for you, Neville. You deserve it.”


“Thanks,” Neville replied.


“I’m very proud of you, too, Neville,” Luna said airily from her perch. “My father and I are taking a trip to the Australia Outback this summer for pictures of the Double Throated Bushspurts. They are rumored to eat only yellow thistle-reed bushes. If we capture one, I will let you know. Perhaps you can get us some thistle-reed.”


“Uh, sure,” Neville answered slowly as Joanna hid her giggles in his sleeve.


“Speaking of pictures, I need to find Colin. I am hoping he’ll join us this summer. My father needs a new photographer. I think Colin would be perfect. See you tomorrow on the train,” Luna waved and floated off.


“Good luck on those thistle-reed cacti, Neville,” Ron wished.


“Thanks,” Neville chuckled. “Hermione? What are you doing this summer?”


Hermione shook her hair off her shoulders and smiled. “After a break, I’m starting work in the Department of Mysteries as a Researcher. It’s only a junior position, but it should be absolutely fascinating.”


“That’s great, Hermione,” Neville nodded.


“Just watch out for those brains,” Ron quipped.


“Alright, Ron, your turn,” Joanna said when the laughter died down. “What are you doing this summer?”


“Nothing, really,” Ron mumbled, throwing his arm across his eyes.


“Now, that’s just not true,” Hermione scolded. “Go on, tell them.”


Ron sighed and dropped his arm. He squinted in the sun. “I “ uh, I’m just trying out for something,” he mumbled.


“I’m “ I’m sorry, Ron, I didn’t catch that,” Ginny leaned forward. “You’re doing what?”


“I’m trying out for something,” he answered a little louder.


“Something?” Hermione raised her eyebrows knowingly.


“What something?” Harry grinned at Ron’s blush.


“Oh, fine,” Ron muttered and pulled a folded piece of parchment out of his back pocket. “I got this this morning.” He tossed the parchment on the blanket.


Ginny reached forward and started pulling the corners.


“Hey “ be careful with that!” Ron snapped.


“Ron!” Hermione scolded as he pushed her off his legs in his attempt to reach the parchment.


“If you can’t treat it properly, give it back,” Ron argued.


Ginny whipped the parchment up and slapped it into Harry’s open hands. Harry stood up. Ron moved to stand up, too. Ginny pushed herself off the ground and scrambled up to the top of the rock Luna had been perched on.


“Harry!” she shouted.


Harry pointed his wand at the parchment and sent it into the sky. Ron dove for it and Ginny grabbed at it, her hands closing on the parchment while Ron’s grabbed air. Ron fell with a thud to the ground.


Ginny stuck her tongue out at Ron in triumph.


“Oh, that’s mature, Ginny,” Ron grumbled from the ground. “I’m going to tell Bill you did that. Maybe you’ll spend the whole summer in the vaults.”


Ginny turned her shoulder to Ron and straightened out the parchment carefully. Harry, Neville and Joanna looked at her expectantly. Hermione bent down to help Ron up.


Ginny looked up from the parchment, her eyes wide, a smile spreading across her face. She squealed and fell forward. Ron’s arms automatically encircled her to keep her from hitting the ground.


“Ginny! What do you think ““


“Ron! Ron! Ron!” Ginny chanted, squeezing her brother. Hermione beamed at them.


Harry snagged the parchment from Ginny’s grasp. Neville and Joanna leaned in and read over his shoulder.


Mr. Ronald Weasley
Gryffindor House
Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry



Mr. Weasley,


Positive scouting reports have indicated that you are a possible candidate for The Chudley Cannons Reserve Team. Congratulations.

Trials for new team members occur the second week in July. If you are interested, we will send you specific details closer to that time. You will need to provide your own broom for trials.

Should you be offered a position on the reserve team, you will be required to report to The Chudley Cannon training facility on August first for a six week intensive training program. You will stay on site with limited family contact. Uniforms and team brooms are provided for all team members.

Mr. Weasley, we hope you consider our offer and look forward to meeting with you in July. Should you be unable to attend, please send your regrets by owl to The Chudley Cannons main office.


Sincerely,


Samuel Edward Lichtenstein


Director, Talent and Scouting


Ronald “ I had the opportunity to see you win the Quidditch Cup at Hogwarts. I believe you would make a very good addition to the team. From what I saw, I don’t think it would take you long to move up from the Reserves. See you in July.




Harry slowly lowered the letter. Along with Neville and Joanna, Harry lifted his eyes to Ron. Ron’s eyes were fixed on the toes of his trainers and his ears matched his hair. Ginny bounced up and down on one side of him. Hermione smiled proudly from the other.


“So, you’re going to play Quidditch,” Harry said evenly, his expression schooled.


“Yeah,” Ron looked up and met Harry’s eyes. “I think I am.”


Harry’s face broke out into a huge smile. “That is so great!” he shouted, wrapping Ron in a back thumping hug. Ron hugged back.


“Yeah, it is pretty great,” Ron laughed as he and Harry separated.


“Get me tickets?” Harry asked hopefully.


“Well,” Ron shrugged, drinking in the pride shining from Harry’s face, “maybe for Christmas I could get you a pair.”


“I’ll bring my Omnioculars,” Harry announced happily.


Ron chuckled. “You might need to. It’s only the Reserves. Who knows what kind of seats I can get.”


“Have you told anyone else?” Ginny asked.


Ron shook his head. “Only got the owl this morning. Thought I’d tell everyone in person tomorrow.”



“Oh! Tomorrow,” Hermione exclaimed. “I have to finish packing.”


A collective groan arose from the group.


“Way to ruin a moment, Hermione,” Ron grumbled, his face still pink with pride.


“Ron, you have to provide your own broom for trials. If you don’t pack it, you can’t try out,” Hermione said pointedly and helped Ginny fold up the blanket.


“How do you know I haven’t already packed it?” Ron asked indignantly.


Five pairs of eyes all shot Ron a look.


“Fine,” Ron sighed and grabbed the blanket from Hermione. “Let’s go pack.”


Together, the group made their way back to the castle.



++++


Anna rested her hands on her tummy and drummed out a rhythm to her baby. To her daughter. Her daughter. Nathan eyes were the size of Galleons when he’d told her, his words filled with awe. Much to Nathan’s annoyance, Anna had just laughed. Nathan had demanded to know what was so funny. Anna had wiped the tears from the corners of her eyes and shook her head. Nathan didn’t need to know what she had been like as a child. He’d find out soon enough.


It was shortly after this conversation that Nathan voiced a concern that had been floating around Anna’s mind, too. While Professor McGonagall had graciously offered them a larger space in the castle, they had agreed that Hogwarts really wasn’t the best place for a baby. When they broke the news to Minerva, Anna had been surprised at how disappointed Minerva looked. When Nathan had mentioned that they were bound to need some help looking after Baby Borgin at times and Minerva had insisted on being put first on that list.


“Excuse me, Anna,” Maggie White of White and Associates Home Finders stopped beside Anna, her eyes on the garden, “exactly what is your husband doing?”


Anna sighed. “I have an idea,” she replied and stepped around Maggie. Anna’s Healer had agreed that a short outing once a day was alright, as long as Anna took it easy. Today’s outing was to find a new home. “I’ll be right back.” Anna pulled the door open and paused, turning back to Maggie. “The home is lovely. We’d like to put an offer on it.”


Maggie perked up. “Good decision,” she smiled. “I’ll start the paperwork.”


Anna stepped into the garden and started down the path toward where her husband was kneeling in the dirt inspecting the bottom of the fence.


“Nathan?”


“Hmm?”


“Nathan, you must stop,” Anna instructed, tapping her fingers on her belly.


“Hmm.”


“Nathan, stop. Now. Or I’m naming this child Obert.”


“That’s nice,” Nathan said and scooted over a meter to prod the ground with his wand.


“Obert Octavia Borgin,” Anna mused.


“Well, since Obert is a German name that means wealthy, that would mean our daughter is a wealthy eighth child,” Nathan grinned wryly standing up and brushing dirt off his trousers. “And unless you’re hiding seven other little Borgins in our new cellar…” Nathan shrugged and looked back at the fence worriedly.


Anna linked her hands around her husband’s arm. “Nathan, we’ll be safe here. I can feel it. Look, Hogwarts is right there,” Anna waved, the turrets of the towers just visible over the fence. “You can put up whatever wards you like as long as guests can still make it to the front door. I promise to never go anywhere without telling you first. Our baby ““


“Anna, I know,” Nathan interrupted and enveloped his wife in a hug. “I know. I’ve lost you twice. I won’t be doing it a third time.”


“I’m not going anywhere,” Anna assured him, her cheek pressed against his jumper, “and don’t you comment on that.”


Nathan squeezed his wife and chuckled. “What? You’re beautiful. A little front heavy, which makes it tough on the Portkeys, but beautiful ““


Anna swatted him and he laughed. “So, is this home?” Nathan asked.


Anna looked at the back of the home and nodded. “It feels like home,” she answered softly.


“Welcome home, Mrs. Borgin,” Nathan said as he placed a soft kiss on his wife’s lips.


“Welcome home,” Anna repeated happily.


++++


Harry stepped into the Headmistress’ office and stopped at the sight of Professor McGonagall behind Dumbledore’s desk. She looked so small. Harry grinned. Anyone who would consider Minerva McGonagall small didn’t know much about Minerva McGonagall.


“Good afternoon, Mr. Potter,” Professor McGonagall greeted standing up.


“Professor,” Harry said, stepping forth.


“Are you packed?” Professor McGonagall shot Harry a knowing look.


Harry grinned at Professor McGonagall. Minerva shook her head and cleared her throat.


“Harry, while you and Miss Weasley were in St. Mungos, the school held a memorial service for Professor Dumbledore.” McGonagall swallowed, her voice softening. “Obviously, you were unable to attend.”


Harry nodded. His eyes traveled to the portrait on the wall where Albus Dumbledore sat, leaning forward in his high back chair, attentively listening.


“I would like to give you and Miss Weasley the opportunity to say good-bye, if you like,” Professor McGonagall said quietly.


Harry’s gaze met Professor Dumbledore’s. He didn’t know if it was a charm or the artist’s great talent, but he could swear the painted eyes twinkled. Then one of them winked.


Harry grinned and returned his gaze to Professor McGonagall who was giving him a rather concerned look. “Thank you, Professor. But, I don’t need to say good-bye. Professor Dumbledore isn’t really gone. He’ll never truly be gone from here,” Harry gestured around the office. “Or here,” he said, touching his chest.


Minerva McGonagall tilted her head to the side. Her eyes gleamed with pride. She smiled.


“Congratulations, Mr. Potter. I do believe you have received an education here.”


+++


“Alrigh’ you lot,” Hagrid snuffled at them from behind his handkerchief. “The train is abou’ t’ leave.”


Hermione let go of Hagrid’s middle and dabbed at her tears. “We’ll write, Hagrid. I promise.”


“I know y’ will.” Hagrid blew loud enough to cause several students to jump and run to the train car doors for fear of being left behind. “An’ good luck t’ ya, Ron.”


“Thanks, Hagrid,” Ron grinned as he shook Hagrid’s hand. “I’ll send you tickets if I get on.”


“I’ll be there,” Hagrid answered and turned to Ginny. “You take care of ‘im over the summer.”


Ginny smiled up at Harry. “I will, Hagrid. And I’ll see you in September.”


“I will, too,” Harry said, holding out his hand.


Hagrid’s hand swallowed up Harry’s. “Tha’s righ’,” Hagrid beamed. “I’ll see the two o’ you next year, then.”


Hagrid released Harry’s hand and rubbed his nose with his handkerchief.


“Don’ go getting’ into trouble this summer,” Hagrid called to them as they turned and boarded the Hogwarts Express.


Harry grinned and waved at the Gamekeeper. “I won’t.”


“Yeah, righ’,” Hagrid grinned back.


++++


“Hey, you two,” Ginny greeted, popping her head into the compartment where Neville and Joanna sat. They were holding hands. Ginny smiled widely. She now knew what Catarina meant when she had told Bill that, “Love serves my purpose.” It would serve Ginny’s purpose well, too.


“Hey, Ginny,” Neville smiled.


“You two want to join us?” Ginny asked. “Harry has a compartment down the way.”


“No,” Joanna shook her head. Neville’s face flushed red. Ginny giggled.


“Oh, well, forgive me,” Ginny took a step back. “Didn’t mean to interrupt anything.”


“We weren’t doing anything ““


“Well, not yet,” Joanna interrupted Neville.


Ginny’s laughter followed her out the car.


“So,” Joanna said, leaning her head on Neville’s shoulder.


“So,” Neville turned and placed a soft kiss on the top of her head. “I was thinking…”


“Good for you.”


Neville chuckled. “I was thinking that if we’re going to be bonding in August, we’ll probably need to do a lot of studying.”


Joanna wrinkled her nose. “Somehow that just doesn’t seem a fair way to spend the summer,” she sighed.


“Yeah,” Neville nodded in agreement, “Harry said it’s a lot of hard work. On top of everything you have to learn, we have to spend a lot of time together.”


“I know,” Joanna nodded. “Lots of time together.”


“It’s going to be terrible,” Neville teased.


“Just awful,” Joanna smiled, lifting her head and raising her lips to Neville’s.


“Worse than detention,” Neville replied against her lips.



++++


“Anyone sitting there?” Ron pointed to the seat opposite Harry.


“Everywhere else is full?” Harry offered.


“Yeah, seven years later and the train is still full,” Ron grinned and slumped down into the seat.


“Lucky for me,” Harry replied honestly. Ron’s face flushed red and Harry laughed. “It’s true. If you hadn’t sat down in that seat ““


“I would have been forced to eat corned beef,” Ron finished for him.


“You hate corned beef.”


“Yeah, I do,” Ron nodded.


“Thanks,” Harry said.


“For what? Hating corned beef?” Ron asked.


“No, for sitting in that seat. For sticking by me.”


“For letting you go out with my little sister?”


“For letting me go out with your little sister,” Harry chuckled.


“Did I have a choice?” Ron raised his eyebrows at Harry.


“No,” Harry shook his head. “But then, I didn’t have much of choice with you going out with Hermione and she’s my bonded sister….”


Ron considered this for a moment before grimacing. “Nope, sorry, still doesn’t even up. Ginny’s still my little sister.”


Harry laughed. “Speaking of such, where is Hermione?”


“Doing her last set of rounds, I think,” Ron said. “Where’s Ginny?”


“She was checking in on Neville and Joanna. She’ll be back in a minute.”


“Right,” Ron clasped his hands over his middle.


“So, the Chudley Cannons, eh?” Harry said.


“Yeah, the Cannons,” Ron nodded, fighting to keep the smile in and failing. “Harry, can you believe it? I’m trying out for the Chudley Cannons!”


“You deserve it,” Harry answered truthfully.


“It’s only the reserves,” Ron mulled.


“Yeah, but you’ll blow by everyone and be first string by mid-season.”


“You ever think about trying out?” Ron asked.


Harry shook his head. “Nah “ well, maybe once or twice,” he grinned, “but I want to be with Ginny.”


“Will you come to the matches?”


“Try and keep me away,” Harry replied, his smile full of pride for his best friend.


“Keep you away from what?” Ginny asked, from the doorway of the compartment.


”Away from Ron’s matches,” Harry said, sliding his arm around Ginny’s shoulders as she sat down next to him.


“I’ll be there,” Hermione answered, dropping down next to Ron.


“Well, I need to try out first,” Ron said and drew Hermione to him, “and then actually make the team.”


“You’ll make the team,” Hermione answered. She placed a kiss on his cheek. “I know it.”


“Thanks,” Ron blushed.


“How are Neville and Joanna?” Harry asked.


“Good. And I’m starving,” Ginny announced. “Has the food trolley been by?”


“A couple of minutes ago,” Harry answered. “I’ll run and get you something if you want.”


“Oh, my hero,” Ginny fluttered her eyelashes at Harry.


Ron snorted.


“Want anything, Ron?” Harry asked.


“One of those Invisishields would work,” Ron answered.


“I think I still have mine.” Hermione leaned down to her bag.


“Then, no, I’m good,” Ron brightened as Ginny wrinkled her nose.


“I’ll be right back,” Harry laughed and slid open the door to their compartment.


Not seeing the cart in their car, Harry headed toward the back of the train. As he entered the next car, a compartment door slid open. Harry stopped and met Draco Malfoy’s cold gaze. The train swayed under their feet as they stared at each other for a moment. Draco’s hand moved slowly to his belt buckle.


“Potter,” he bit out.


“Malfoy,” Harry replied evenly.


Draco stepped back and let the door slide slowly closed. Harry turned, his mouth curving into a small satisfied smile.


+++++


Harry looked out the windows of the train to Platform 9 ¾. It was hard to miss the group of people there to meet them. There were so many of them.


“Merlin, did the whole family show up?” Ron asked.


“Yeah,” Harry chuckled, “I think so.” Harry slung his bag over his shoulder. “You coming?”


“In a minute,” Ron answered as Hermione pushed her way through the exiting students back into the compartment.


“See you out there, then,” Harry answered.


Hermione reached down and went to grab her bag but Ron was too fast. With a smooth move only a Keeper could do, he scooped up her bag and hooked it over his shoulder. Hermione cocked her head to the side.


“Thank you,” she smiled.


“Least I can do,” Ron inclined his head. Looking up, he noticed Hermione’s eyes, shining a little brighter than normal. Ron dropped the bags on his shoulders and reached out for her. Hermione gratefully stepped into his arms.


“I’m sorry,” Hermione sniffled against his jumper. “I don’t know why I’m all teary.”


“You’re going to miss this,” Ron said quietly. His fingers ran through the curls on her back. Hermione shivered then nodded. Ron smiled into her hair. “Hermione, how long did it take you before you became known as the smartest witch of our age?” Hermione hic-cupped. “Alright, how about how long did it take before Harry and I realized that if we didn’t listen to you, we’d be lost?” Hermione giggled. “If I remember correctly, the troll was Halloween. So that was about eight weeks. I’d say you’ll have the Department of Mysteries under your spell in six.”


Hermione sniffled and leaned back. “Six?”


Ron brushed the hair back of her face and smiled tenderly. “Five?”


“Four.”


“Four it is,” Ron agreed and leaned down to kiss her.


+++++


An explosion rattled the windows of the twins’ old room. Harry reached out to steady himself against the wall. Molly Weasley’s voice shot through the Burrow followed by laughter.


Harry loved the laughter. He loved the yelling. He loved the explosions. And most of all, he loved Ginny. And if the last seven years had taught him anything, it was that there was no good reason to wait when it came to happiness. The best thing to do was simply go out and grab it. And grab it, Harry intended to do.


A flutter of wings drew Harry’s attention to the windows. Hedwig settled herself on the sill, a small package in her beak. Harry’s stomach flip-flopped.


“So, that’s it girl?”


Harry stretched out his hand and Hedwig dropped her bundle into it. He sat down on the edge of the bed and studied the parcel.


The way he looked at it, it was a Potter tradition.


Harry pocketed the parcel and headed back downstairs. A layer of pink smoke floated above the crowd gathered in the kitchen. His heart knew where she was, but it took a moment for his eyes to locate Ginny sitting at the far end of the table. From the bottom step, Harry raised his hand to wave at her. Ginny looked up. Harry nodded in the direction of the door.


Remus lifted his tea to his mouth and stepped back to let Ginny by. He glanced at Harry over the rim of his cup. So much like James. Remus smiled into his cup as memories floated through his mind of James…James and Lily…James asking “ Remus choked on inhaled tea and Harry and Ginny slipped out of the Burrow.


“Where are we going, Harry?” Ginny laughed as Harry pulled her through the gardens to the back.


“Here,” Harry said, catching his breath.


Ginny looked around at the familiar clearing. “Did you want to dance?”


Harry shook his head. “Maybe after.” He wiped his palms on the front of his jeans and felt a drop of sweat slide down between his shoulder blades.


“Harry, are you alright?” Ginny asked as she placed a hand on his arm.


“I will be,” he swallowed. “Gin, do you think you could sit over there?” Harry pointed to the rock on the edge of the clearing.


“Sure,” Ginny answered slowly. “Harry, do you “ “


Harry held up his hand and waved her down. Ginny closed her mouth and sat. Harry cleared his throat. Ginny looked at him with concern. Harry looked back, and smiled. Warmth was being pushed into his heart through the ribbons and flowing straight out again throughout his body.


Harry had never been surer of anything in his life. He dug in his pocket and pulled out the small package Hedwig had delivered. Dropping to his knee, Harry set it on the ground and reached for Ginny’s hands.


Ginny was frozen to the rock, her eyes wide, her heart pounding inside her chest. She saw Harry’s mouth move. She barely heard the words.


“Ginevra Molly Weasley,” Harry said, his voice a hoarse whisper, “will you marry me?”


Ginny blinked.


“I mean, not right now,” Harry went on, his hands shaking slightly, “maybe next summer? When we’re both done with school? I mean, it’s just my dad and mum, they “ “


“Yes,” Ginny breathed. Tears welled up in her eyes and she began to nod her head. “Yes. Yes, I’ll marry you. I’ll marry you whenever you want. Yes ““


Harry launched himself forward. Ginny wrapped her arms around his neck. Harry tasted salt as his lips crushed Ginny’s. Ginny felt her feet lift off the ground. Her body was warm “ no, hot “ as the ribbons flared. Pure blinding emotion flooded their bond as the kiss deepened. Ginny wove her hands into Harry’s hair and held on, pressing against Harry to get as close as she possibly could. This was Harry “ her Harry, forever.


Ginny felt Harry’s warm breath on her cheek as he pulled back. She opened her eyes. She laughed.


“Oh!” Harry exclaimed and released his hold on her. “I have something for you.” Leaning down, Harry scooped up the package by his feet. He untied the twine and slipped the paper off. Slowly he lifted the deep blue velvet box lid off to reveal a simple, sparkling diamond solitaire engagement ring. Ginny gasped. “If, uh, if you want something different, we can go pick something out together. I just, uh, I just thought since diamonds show all the colors of our bond, you might like it.”


“Harry, it’s absolutely beautiful,” Ginny whispered.


“You like it?”


Ginny touched Harry’s cheek and nodded. “I love it.”


With shaking hands, Harry carefully lifted the ring out its box. Ginny held her left hand out and held her breath as Harry slipped the smooth polished gold over her finger.


“Wow,” Ginny said.


Harry chuckled as he wrapped his arms around his fiancée. “Yeah, wow.”


The ground shook underneath their feet as another explosion came from the direction of the Burrow. Ginny leaned her forehead against Harry’s shoulder and shook her head.


“You sure you want to be part of this family?” she giggled into his jumper.


Harry put his hand under her chin and tilted her face up. As he lowered his lips to hers, he spoke straight from the heart.


“More than anything.”




++++

The End

++++


A/N - In the author’s notes of The Tale of Despereaux by Kate DiCamillo, she writes, “Stories are light…Reader, I hope you have found some light here.” I’m borrowing that sentiment because I couldn’t put it any better. I hope you’ve had fun in my story. I’ve certainly enjoyed writing it.

To all my betas, a huge Thank You! To parvatipatil and Anya for being a second set of eyes. To wvchemteach for the endless supply of ideas, suggestions “ without you, this tale a)wouldn’t have been written and b)would have been half as long. Extundo!

To all my reviewers, thank you. You’ve kept me going and thinking and I’ve appreciated every thought, argument and supportive kudos.

And lastly to my family who has put up with Mom’s crazy hobby, thanks!

Now, is there more? If there is, it won't be for a very long time. It’s been over a year since I started posting this tale and I need some time to spend on other pursuits.

It’s been a blast “ thank you!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=18143