The Last Halloween by Falling Damps
Summary: A late night attack on two young parents and their infant son - a changed Fidelius charm - and a very different result...
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2921 Read: 1443 Published: 04/02/05 Updated: 04/02/05

1. The Last Halloween by Falling Damps

The Last Halloween by Falling Damps



The young man ran his hand through his untidy black hair as he finished his well-rehearsed speech, which didn’t seem to have gone over well. The girl had been sitting on the floor, playing with their young son, but now she was on her feet, bright eyes blazing at him, red hair flying around her shoulders. He braced himself for the explosion.

“You may have forgotten that my last name is Potter, too, but I certainly haven’t,” the young woman hissed at him. “And that means that we fight this together.” Her husband pushed his glasses on his nose nervously. She was furious. “I will not leave you to this fight alone, no, not even for the sake of our son. And were he old enough to understand this conversation, I know he would want us to stay together, too.”

He sighed. “I know. But don’t you see? I need to know that the two of you are safe. This plan…it’s the only way we can make it work. The only way I know to ensure your safety, and his.” He motioned to the small boy, who was now staring at his parents, almost as if he could, as his mother suggested, understand them.

Suddenly, unexpectedly, she diminished. Her temper disappeared, and she spoke mildly. “You’re right. I hate it…I can’t believe it…but you’re right.” She frowned slightly. “How do we keep the change from Dumbledore? He can’t know.”

Her husband nodded. “We’ll have to lie. Just keep your mind focused, and I know you can do it.” He looked at her carefully. “Are you ready?”

“Already?” she whispered, scooping up her young son and holding him close. He nodded again and she bit her lip. “All right,” she spoke, her voice steadier. “Let’s go.”






So far, the meeting was going as scheduled, but the façade was becoming more difficult to maintain.

“Dumbledore, I…” The young man’s voice trailed off as he met the Headmaster’s stern gaze, absent of its usual good-natured twinkle. He glanced back at his wife for support, but she was frowning at him as well. Good. He inwardly applauded her acting and, with a sigh, he turned back to face the desk. “I don’t want to go into hiding.” That, at least, was true. The more truth he told, the harder it would be for Dumbledore to sense what they were concealing.

The headmaster sighed and leaned forward, resting his elbows on the desk. His face looked tired as he pressed the tips of his long fingers together and thought for a moment before replying. “I know you don’t. But you must consider the safety of your wife and child, as well as your own desire to be in the fight.”

The young man shook his head violently. “No, you don’t understand. I don’t want to be in this fight “ I need to be in it! I cannot sit quietly in some cozy house under Fidelius knowing that my best friends are out risking their lives every day!” Again, true. Surprisingly, his anger was becoming less and less forced.

“It would only be temporary, until we can assess the danger.” Dumbledore turned to address the girl as well. “Voldemort is not the only direct danger facing you. There are others who would be eager to harm you all, and, as you know, it is vital to keep you “ your family “ alive.”

The young man looked murderous and opened his mouth, presumably to protest more, but a soft hand on his shoulder gave him pause. He turned around and faced his wife, who was balancing their sleeping son on her hip. She met his gaze, brilliant green eyes locking with brown, willing him to calm down and remember their plan, and after a moment she said softly, “He’s right, you know.” She smoothed the soft, unruly hair of the child as she spoke. “I want to help, too. But right now…your son needs you. I need you.” Her husband relaxed his defiant stance and lowered his head.

She smiled sadly and turned to face Dumbledore. “We understand,” she said firmly. “We may not like it, but we understand. All three of us will undergo the Fidelius charm.” She paused, as if weighing her next words very carefully. “But there are a few requests I would like to make. I would like to perform the charm myself, with only my family present.” Dumbledore nodded. “I would like you to assure us that this is only temporary.” He nodded again. “And, one more thing…” She looked up at her husband, who now broke in.

“The secret-keeper. We appreciate your offer so much, Dumbledore, and we’re honored that you would be willing to be our secret-keeper. But, with all respect, we’ve give this a lot of thought and we “ ”

“Wait!” Dumbledore help up a hand. “Not out loud.”

The young man reached for a quill and bent over the parchment, pushing his glasses up on his nose with his other hand. In a moment he straightened and pushed the paper across the desk. He watched anxiously as Dumbledore read the name, twirling the quill distractedly. Would it work?

“Ah,” Dumbledore sighed and leaned back in his chair. “I rather thought you might choose him.”

“I’m not really asking your permission, just your opinion. I trust him absolutely. He’s the closest to a brother I’ll ever have.” His wife smiled.

Dumbledore, who had been staring pensively at the piece of parchment, suddenly raised his head and fixed his eyes on the young man, who in turn met the gaze. The girl cocked her head inquiringly and opened her mouth to speak, but the silence seemed too oppressive. Suddenly the young man stiffened, drawing his lips into a tight line. Dumbledore never blinked, his eyes full of a clear power both intense and gentle, strong yet tired.

The stillness was absolute. Minutes seemed hours, yet neither man moved. The girl still waited. Soon her husband looked down, visibly shaken by the contact, and Dumbledore closed his eyes in a poignant expression of resignation. The young man put an arm around his wife protectively and spoke, his voice echoing strangely off the walls. “Time to leave.”

Dumbledore looked up and nodded sadly. He looked as though he wanted to speak, but the moment passed and he merely nodded again, for once looking older than his years. The young man, without releasing his wife, turned and walked purposefully toward the door. On the threshold, he paused. “I will still fight,” he said to the old man, and then he turned and never looked back.

As he strode out of the castle, his wife hurrying at his side, clutching the baby to her breast, he didn’t speak a word, and gradually his determined walk slowed and his shoulders slumped.

The young woman finally spoke. “I can’t believe we got away with that.” When her husband didn’t respond, she continued. “I was sure he wouldn’t believe you…" She sighed. “I regret that we had to do that “ but it was the right thing, wasn’t it?” Her husband studied the stone floor. “And we tricked him. But he’s such a superb Occlumens…it doesn’t make sense…” her voice trailed off as she watched her husband closely, his brow furrowed in deep concentration. Suddenly, her eyes widened.

“He knows we were lying, doesn’t he?” Her voice was hushed and awed.

He nodded but wouldn’t face her.

“When he was staring at you...what did he tell you?” She was almost afraid to ask.

There was silence. Then, hoarsely: “He’s not sure what we were lying about.”

She breathed and waited for him to continue.

“My Occlumency skills are strong, but not strong enough to keep him out entirely. He knew I was concealing something, but he respected me enough not to force his way into my mind. Or yours.”

He finally looked at her, and in his deep eyes she saw the height of the fear and anger and isolation tearing at this young man, and she was afraid for him. For all of them.

She shifted the baby to her other arm and reached up until the tips of her fingers were touching his cheek. Her fingertips tingled, as if his skin were charged, and after a moment she let her hand drop again. Her husband looked so alone, so young, that she was filled with an unparalleled rage.

“Oh, it’s that damned prophecy! If I thought it would do any good I would storm up the North Tower and make that old bat take back every word of it!” Her ears were crimson with rage. It was unfair. She held her child close to her chest, protectively.

He had managed a small smile at her outburst, and she felt slightly better. She took a deep breath. “I don’t pretend to understand.”

Her husband shook his head. “Neither do I.”

She continued on as if he hadn’t interrupted. “But what I do know is...is…well,” she stumbled, trying to find the right words. “Er…someday someone will tell our story.” He looked a bit confused as she slipped her free hand into his and started to walk again. “Once upon a time, a little boy was born. He had black hair, an adorable nose, and his father’s terrible eyesight.” Out of the corner of her eye, she saw her husband crack a tiny grin. Encouraged, she kissed her son’s forehead tenderly and continued. “Despite being awfully cute, he was stuck with a prophecy that pitted him against...well, an evil wizard." She snuck a glance at her husband, who was walking steadily, seemingly unmoved except for one tear coursing down his cheek. She tried to stay strong. "But he had parents who loved him more than life and who would be willing to die to save him.” She choked slightly as their son awoke, gurgling happily and reaching for the young man. In a moment the little boy was nestled in his father's arms, poking him contentedly in the nose.

The girl didn’t have the heart to continue. It was all too serious. Even fancying themselves as future legends couldn’t take the fear out of their hearts. They walked on, hands clasped, only the sound of their footsteps and their son’s cooing reaching their ears.

After a few minutes, the young man spoke, his voice a hoarse whisper. “What next?”

She looked at him questioningly.

“Next in the story.” She could barely make out his words. “What…what happens. To the boy.”

She knew, to a certain point. Every day, every moment, it played out in her mind with an astonishingly lifelike clarity. The girl didn’t understand it any more than she understood the prophecy. She supposed it had to do with becoming a mother, and a wife. “Why, he goes to Hogwarts, of course. Where he will wreak havoc on the poor professors, living up to his illustrious namesake. And, of course, he’ll meet a girl, and they will fall in love.”

He smiled softly and ruffled his son’s untidy hair. “Sounds good. But…I mean the end. The end of the story.”

The girl bit her lip. She was as familiar with the first part of the story as if it were her own. But this? “He marries the girl, they have many beautiful children, and live happily ever after, of course.”

“How do you know?” The young man wouldn’t meet her eyes, instead focusing on the child resting in his arms.

“Because no matter what happens, his parents will always love him. And that girl he marries will help him, because she will love him just as much.”

He didn’t respond.

They continued on without speaking. Abruptly, the young man interrupted their thoughts. “I don’t want you two around when he comes.” The girl frowned and turned to face him, the tips of her ears red.

“You know I have performed the Fidelius properly. So will anyone be able to see the baby? Or me?”

He looked down and spoke softly. “No.”

“Will Voldemort be able to hurt us in any way?”

“No…”

She watched him struggle with his thoughts for a moment. He seemed so young. It was painful to watch his internal debate “ he wanted them to stay, but he was so afraid that they would be hurt…

She couldn’t bear it any longer and interrupted his thoughts by squeezing him in a tight hug, sandwiching the baby between their warm bodies. “Glad that’s settled then,” she said briskly when they broke apart, focusing on a spot on her shoe as she fought tears. “How much time do we have?”

The young man ran his fingers through his messy black hair and laughed. The sound was comforting. “I really don’t know. It could be any time now…but I think it will be tonight.”

“Halloween?”

“He has a weakness for dramatics.”





It was almost three o’clock in the morning. A young man had fallen asleep on the couch, his hand clutching his wand. His wife was curled up at his side, her red hair tumbled around her shoulders, and a baby slept happily on her stomach. Suddenly, the young man moaned and clutched his head in agony. The girl was instantly on her feet, the baby waking in her tight grasp. Apparition cracks thundered outside the house, and her husband raised himself up, blinking against the pain, holding his wand up in a shaking hand. “Ginny, take Sirius and go! It’s him!” he hissed from of the corner of his mouth.

“I won’t leave you!” Her voice sounded braver than she felt, and she held the squirming baby in her arms.

“Go! Run! I’ll hold him off “” His voice was desperate now, as they both listened to the sounds of those outside trying to break through the protective wards.

“He can’t see us, remember?”

Her husband turned to face her, his green eyes blazing, but he spoke in a clear, low, terrified voice. “Not unless I tell him where you are.”

With startling horror she remembered he had once confided in a moment of pain that he seemed to hurt everyone close to him…

She turned and stumbled out of sight, though not to the door but to the corner of the room. Her heart was thudding in her chest. He looked so forlorn. She cried over and over in her mind, not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry…

The door burst open and Voldemort strode into the room, flanked by Death Eaters “ the girl had to bite her tongue to keep from crying out against the memories of her first year and the diary that came rushing back. She fought to keep her head clear, holding her son close, shielding him with her body though she knew they could not be seen. Not Harry, please no, no…

The voice. “So we meet again. But where is your pretty young wife? And the little boy? Sirius, I believe you call him. How touching. Don’t you think so, Bella?” The hooded figure to his right let loose a cackle of high-pitched laughter. The girl wanted to vomit.

“You’ll never find her.” His voice sounded measured, calm even, but she knew that, inside, he was panicking. Not Harry, please no, not Harry… Tears were streaming down her cheeks and she wrapped her arms more tightly around her son, trying to remain calm.

The voice was taunting, mocking. “Clever of you to be their secret-keeper “ and rather brave to refuse to put yourself under the charm so we could have this meeting. Foolish, but brave. Ready to end the fighting, were you? To save your loved ones, I suppose - whoever is still alive, that is. How convenient - your overblown hero complex aids me once again. Well, there are ways to make people talk. Yes, even you, Harry Potter.”

Not Harry! Please…have mercy…have mercy…

But she knew there would be no mercy.

She was helpless.

But as the girl watched Voldemort raise his wand and heard him begin an incantation, she realized that she still had one strength. Hardly thinking, she ran forward out of the shadows, holding her son in a vice-like grip. Ginny stood next to Lord Voldemort. Her face was pale but her eyes were flashing as she stood and faced her husband. Their son gurgled happily in her embrace and waved at his father. Meeting Harry’s eyes, she saw them widen with shock and fear “ they were supposed to be gone. The girl focused with all her strength on those green eyes, willing him to know why she had never left. She never would. She trusted him not to betray her. She loved him. She loved him, even at the end.

Harry stood taller and his hand stopped shaking. His face was determined as he set his mouth in a grim line, and power seemed to radiate from his body and fill the room. She thought she heard Voldemort falter in his incantation.

And then Ginny smiled.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=18667