Summer at the Burrow by blackdog
Summary: Harry's liberated from the Dursley's the summer after his fifth year. Unfortunatly, there's always trouble, and it's not always caused by Voldemort... Bit of R/Hr and H/GW and much more! Thanks to those of you who took the time to review!
Categories: Various Pairings Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: Yes Word count: 5643 Read: 10611 Published: 04/13/05 Updated: 04/27/05

1. Harry's Welcome by blackdog

2. A Surprise and an Unexpected Visitor by blackdog

3. The Forgotten Sandwich by blackdog

4. Harry's Birthday by blackdog

Harry's Welcome by blackdog
Harry rolled over in his sleep. The moonlight from the window cast a pale rectangle on his bed. He was gently awoken by the whoosh of Hedwig’s wings as she landed softly on the windowsill. He blearily opened his eyes and glanced at the clock. The green glowing numbers stated a fuzzy 2:43. He put on his glasses and untied the letter from Hedwig’s leg. She hooted softly at him, before sleepily nestling in her cage to rest. He smiled. The letter was addressed in Ron’s loopy handwriting. He opened it hastily and read…

Oy, Harry,
Since your birthday tomorrow, er, today, er, now, sort of, we’ll be by to get you in the morning. Don’t worry about the Muggles, Dad has promised not to blast anything this time.

-Ron


Harry smiled. He stretched out in his bed, hands behind his head. It had started out as a very pleasant birthday, and he hoped nothing would ruin it, this year at least. He sighed and nodded off again.


Harry awoke as the early dawn light was beginning to creep its way into his tiny bedroom. His dreams had been blissful and uninterrupted in the past few weeks, owing most likely to the potent calming draught he had received at the beginning of the summer. Dealing with Sirius’s death had been rather difficult during his waking hours, and he was glad Dumbledore had thoughtfully taken a measure to protect his sleep. Not only that, he was no longer being penetrated by Voldemort during those precious unconscious hours. Harry felt more refreshed than he had in months.

He hastily began to dress and pack his trunk. His books and clothes were in the usual disorderly fashion, sprawled about his room, on his bed, spilling out of his closet. His things sorted, and in neat piles, he crept downstairs to the lull of the Dursley’s snores.

His previous expeditions to the fridge this summer had not been fruitful; most of the food was for Dudley’s weight training. He located an apple, and happily munched on it as he watched the sun pop over the horizon. As the sun began to move, and the clouds to change, Harry spied a flock of birds flying towards him.

As they got closer, he realized that they were not birds, but rather a half dozen broomsticks, carrying, if he was not mistaking, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebot, Mad-Eye Moody, Bill Weasley, Fleur Delecour, and Ron. They landed in the strictly partitioned Muggle backyard, all dismounting with ease. Mad-Eye cast a disapproving look at Ron, who ran up to the door, which Harry was opening, and slapped his friend on the back.

“Hey, Harry!” Ron grinned, “Hope the Muggles haven’t been treating you too bad.”

Harry grinned. Tonks, whose hair was a violent shade of red, a near-Weasley red, all told, giggled, and gave Harry her usual salutations and a wink. Harry had no time to think about her unusual behavior before Moody whisked them all inside.

“All packed then?” he growled. Harry nodded. “Locomotor trunk,” he murmured. Harry’s trunk came floating downstairs, as Bill chimed in with the incantation to retrieve a slightly disgruntled Hedwig and her cage.

“Moody didn’t want me to come, ruddy bastard,” whispered Ron to Harry. “I pleaded with Bill, and he gave in. Moody still isn’t too keen on the whole idea…” Ron trailed off, as Kingsley sent them a meaningful look.

They all mounted their brooms. A shower of green sparks was hanging high in the early morning sky. “Better be off, then,” Moody looked at Bill and Fleur. “You two go first, and scout out the skies. Send more sparks when all is clear.” He grumbled and cleared his throat, while he rummaged through his cloak, and brought out a bit of parchment. He pointed his wand at it, and murmured an incantation. It zoomed back in the house, closing the door behind it. “Can’t have your aunt and uncle worrying about you,” he said with a drop of sarcasm. "There are the sparks from Bill, let’s go.”

The remaining five of them pushed off the ground, Harry’s trunk in tow, Hedwig soaring beside them.

“Where are we going?” Harry asked Ron in a loud whisper.

“We’re going to the Burrow for the time being,” answered Moody, “until further plans are made. I daresay Molly will be happy to see you.”

The sun continued to make its way across the sky, and it was fully nine in the morning when they touched down outside the Burrow. Mrs. Weasley came running out and wrapped Harry in a smothering mother-hug.

“Harry dear! I’m so glad you made it! Happy Birthday!” The words seemed to fall out of her mouth all at once as she rushed him into the kitchen. There, set on the table were all the things Harry loved to eat, and the apple seemed ages ago. Harry smiled.

“Thank you, I’m really starving…”

“Of course you are dear, you’re skin and bones,” Mrs. Weasley fretted as she ushered him into a chair and heaped his plate with food. Ron and the others began to sit down, fill their plates, and chat quietly. Ron seemed to have grown nearly three inches over the summer, and towered over the already dwarfed kitchen. He grinned at Harry, and helped himself to some bacon.

Ron leaned in to Harry, and said; “You won’t believe where Fred and George went… or what they brought back with them…” he trailed off for the second time this morning, this time with a disapproving look from Mrs. Weasley. He crammed a little more bacon into his mouth and began to get up. “Ifth gotch cher brifday preshrink, horld orn.” Ron left the room.

Harry looked around the room again. Bill and Fleur were talking in hushed voices by the sink, each with a mug of tea in their hands. Kingsley was saying good-bye to Mrs. Weasley and Moody, and quickly Dissapparated with a Crack!. Tonks seemed to be enjoying her breakfast; in fact she was eating so fast, Harry could have sworn she was banishing it with her wand every few seconds.

“Wotcher, Harry. Glad to see you’re still in one piece,” she said between mouthfuls. “I’m sorry I can’t stay longer… special assignment… from Dumbledore…” she grinned and turned the trademark Weasley shade of scarlet that seemed to be paired with her current hair color. “Can’t say no more,” she winked. “See you later, probably," and Dissapparated.

There was a loud crash, a girl screaming, and then the sound of Ron bounding downstairs. He seemed to have inherited the scarlet blush as well this morning. “Bloody Fred and George. Here’s your present,” he said as he crammed a small, poorly-wrapped present into Harry’s hand.

“Thanks, Ron,” Harry said as he opened it. It was a bottle of ink, but on closer inspection as he stared at the label, he saw the insignia on it: Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. Harry chuckled, and asked, “What’s the joke with it?”

Ron smiled and said, “Oh, it’s really great… it…” his voice trailed off as his gaze shifted to the stairs. There was another great crash, and then a screaming girl’s voice, a higher calming girl’s voice shouting, and two cracks! as Fred and George apparated into the kitchen. The looks on their face were equal to the look of terror one might experience with a dementor attack. Ginny’s voice, now recognizable, shouted down the stairs.

“George! You get back here, and apologize. I will Bat-Bogey Hex you into oblivion if you make her cry again!”

Harry looked at Ron, bewildered. Ron looked tired. “Let me tell you the story from the beginning…”
A Surprise and an Unexpected Visitor by blackdog
CHAPTER 2

As Ron began to explain, he was interrupted by Fred and George muttering something about opening the shop, and Dissapparated. A bouncing, squeaky noise was heard from the stairs, and a ball of black fur, barely bigger than Crookshanks tumbled over to Harry, who petted it absentmindedly, as Ron filled him in on the events of the past four weeks.

“So, basically,” he said, “Fred and George went on holiday to America, and brought back that,” he said, pointing with a bit of distaste at the ball of black fur. “His name is Wolf,” at the sound of his name, Wolf, who was a small puppy with shining dark eyes, “and like everyone else here, he’s a complete git.”

Harry scratched the dog behind one ear. The puppy reminded him painfully of Sirius. Still, he was friendly, and seemed to notice the barely discernable change in Harry’s mood and licked his hand. Harry smiled down at the dog, and said, “So, what was all the screaming about?” he looked at Ron inquisitively.

Ron looked slightly less disgusted. “That’s…” and he was cut off, again by Mrs. Weasley bustling into the kitchen.

“Boys, I have to go to Grimmauld Place until late. When I get back, we’ll have a proper reception for Harry’s birthday,” beaming down at him, but also with a hint of worry. “Enjoy yourselves this afternoon, and don’t cause too much trouble. I’m leaving you in the very capable hands of Gerty and Fleur.” And with that, she Dissaparated.

Harry looked at Ron, and rather perplexed he asked, “Gerty?”

There was no need for an explanation from Ron however, because at that very moment, they heard a girl’s laughter, and sliding into the room was a tall, merry witch with hair curlier than Hermione’s. She was followed by Ginny, who grinned, and addressed Harry, “Morning Harry,” she blushed undiscernibly. This is Gerty,” she gestured to the witch who giggled again and bowed to Harry. Gerty then busied herself washing the breakfast dishes, and with a wave of her wand, they were merrily washing themselves. She danced around the kitchen, singing to herself.

Harry looked back at Ron who explained, “Gerty is an Auror in training from America. She’s going to be helping us, and…” Ginny whispered something to Gerty. They both giggled.

Ginny scampered back up the stairs, flashing a smile at Harry as she disappeared. “Bloody girls… Anyway, Gerty is George’s girlfriend,” muttered Ron as he went back to his breakfast. “Wolf’s hers. She’s nice enough, but I’ve never seen George like this before. Lost his bleeding marbles.”

Harry smiled at his bemused friend. His eyes followed Gerty’s dreamy movements around the kitchen before he said, “Want to play a bit of Quidditch this afternoon?”

Ron brightened up a bit. “Brilliant… I’ll ask Ginny if she wants to Chase,” he rose from the table, and Harry followed suit, Wolf scampering happily behind them.

They made their way up the winding, twisting steps of the Burrow. They passed Fred and George’s room, where there were giggling noises, and tiny explosions coming from under the door. Harry and Ron quickly and quietly snuck past the door, past Ron’s room, and up to the stairs to Ginny’s room. Ron knocked quickly and said, “Oy, Ginny, how ‘bout some Quidditch?”

Ginny poked her head out the door. Her red hair was in a shining plait down the side of her head, and gave her a bit of a lopsided look, that matched her grin, “Sure,” she said, “I’m just sending a letter with Pig. I’ll get changed and come down in a moment.” With that she slammed the door. Ron turned to look at Harry.

“Lost her marbles, too,” he shook his head. “Sending an owl to Dean twice, three times a week. I’m about ready to set him in his right. If he sets one hand on her…” he punched his own hand into his fist, as he and Harry descended the staircase.

Harry was glad to be back at the Burrow. He felt a small black hole in his stomach, the feeling that had not been quelled since the incident in the Department of Mysteries. Even though the Dursleys weren’t the most stimulating company, they at least didn’t remind him of Sirius every time he turned a corner. Harry turned a corner down the stair case, and promptly ran into Ron’s back. Ron had stopped outside his own bedroom door and was fumbling with the rusty knob. The door creaked open, and Harry was greeted with the sight of his trunk sitting at the end of his cot, all made up, in the corner of Ron’s fiery orange room. The Chudley Cannons gazed happily and waved from their poster alongside Ron’s own bed.

Ron himself had begun to rummage about his closet and retrieved his broomstick, and a slightly mangled Quaffle.

Harry had gone about to opening his trunk, and removing his Firebolt with care. There were deep gouges on the handle from being chained in Umbridge’s office during the past year.

He had spent a good two weeks of the holiday clipping bent twigs and polishing the handle to return it to top condition. ‘Hope this still flies alright,’ he thought to himself.

“Tough break, mate,” Ron looked up from his search for his trainers. “That broom looks like a troll got at it.”

Harry squinted his eyes, and looked up. “Give Umbridge a few more inches and a club, and I’d say that’s exactly what she was.”

The boys erupted in peals of laughter at the image of the former vile headmistress, green and warty, holding a large club. Just then, Ginny entered the room, holding her broomstick. “Are you two coming? Or am I going to Chase and Keep?” her voice dripped of mock indignity.

The boys smiled, grabbed their brooms and ran out of the room, leaving Ginny at the top of the stairs. She slowly descended the stairs, shaking her head at the boys. As she got to the bottom of the stairs, she was held up by Ron and
Harry who had stopped on the first and second stair, respectively. Fleur, Gerty, and Bill were bustling around the kitchen, magicking things around. The wireless was on, and Fleur and Gerty were singing along. Fleur turned around and
Gerty pointed her wand at the dishrag, full of soap and bubbles. She muttered something, and the rag hit Fleur in the back of the neck. Fleur screamed, and grabbed the rag and chased Gerty ‘round the kitchen till she cornered her, cowering behind Bill, giggling madly. Bill chuckled, and poked his wand at a bunch of grapes that began pelting both the girls.

Suddenly, Bill noticed the three younger people in the room. “We’re making lunch,” he said slyly. “You three go out and play.” He winked at Ginny, and went back to the counter. As Harry, Ron, and Ginny made it out of the kitchen door, they heard more splashing and shrieking.
Ron shook his head. “You’re lucky Harry. They’ve been at this for a week now,” he mounted his broom and pushed off.
Harry and Ginny, laughing, followed.



After a very exciting match that lasted over two hours, the two Weasleys, followed closely by Harry were met with something of a surprise at the kitchen door.

Hermione looked at them severely. “Ronald, I thought I could rely on you to tell your brother your whereabouts, so I don’t have to search all over creation, to only find you playing Quidditch,” she glared at him. Something in the gleam in her eye told Harry that perhaps Hermione wasn’t quite as angry as she let on.

Ron blushed a bit and shuffled his feet. He craned his head up to look at Hermione with all the vindictiveness he could muster without giggling and said, “Gee, Professor McGonagall, you sure have grown a bit over the summer…”

Hermione laughed merrily and hugged Ron and Harry. The friends grinned at each other, glad to be back together under such lighthearted circumstances.

Ginny pushed her way between Harry and Ron, and grabbed Hermione by the elbow, wheeling her back inside. “Let’s go help Gerty and Fleur with lunch,” she said, looking back over her shoulder, “And you two can go wash up,” her eyes glittered with the Weasley mischievousness as Harry and Ron were victim to a surprise attack of washrags from all directions, with Bill, Gerty, and Fleur erupting into laughter from behind a cupboard.


Harry and Ron put their brooms away and changed out of their sweaty robes. “Did you know she was coming?” Harry asked.

“I didn’t. I have the feeling Ginny invited her…” Ron trailed off, a dreamy sort of look on his face. “But it’s nice to be back together again,” he continued, the dreamy look sliding away as he straightened up and headed for the stairs.
Harry pursued Ron down the stairs. He was violently interrupted, however, when Ginny knocked him aside, tears streaming down her face, a bit of parchment clutched in her hand.

Harry and Ron looked at each other. They sprinted down the remaining stairs.
The Forgotten Sandwich by blackdog
CHAPTER 3

In the kitchen, Fleur and Gerty were exchanging murmurs as they brought the sandwiches and fruit to the table. Bill was chatting with Hermione about his travels in Egypt. Ron and Harry skidded to a halt millimeters from upsetting the table.

“What’s the matter?!?!” they burst out.

Hermione looked up, a disapproving, but sly look on her face. “Dean just sent an owl that he met a girl on holiday. From Beauxbatons,” she cast a meaningful look at Fleur and continued, “So, he broke up with Ginny. I’m sure that makes life a bit easier for you, Ronald.” She smiled at him.

Ron and Harry took seats at the table, and Harry started as two things ran over his feet in quick succession. He looked in the direction that they were heading, and saw a bandy-legged ginger cat chasing after the small black puppy. He looked up at Hermione. “Crookshanks has good taste in friends,” he smiled.

“They’ve been playing most of the morning. Wolf is very friendly,” Gerty’s smiling face beamed down at Harry. She could have been Hermione’s sister, save the uncannily Weasley red hair and the dancing brown eyes. “We haven’t been properly introduced. I’m Gerty. Here’s your sandwich.” She set a plate down in front of him.

“It’s nice to meet you, Gerty,” Harry smiled at her. “You’re an Auror?”

“Almost. Still have to pass the finals exams. Then I’ll be taking a job at your Ministry,” she put down a sandwich in front of Ron, who began inhaling it.

Bill and Fleur were devouring their lunches. Gerty sat down next to Harry, and leaned in to him, “There’s a sandwich in there for Ginny.” She pointed to the kitchen. “When you’re done with that, would you please take it to her?” She smiled. Harry nodded. “Thank you Harry. Now eat up.”

After enjoying a pleasant lunch, Bill excused himself, and Dissapparated to Grimmuald Place. Ron and Hermione had begun a conversation about the homework that had been assigned. Harry had a feeling that it might boil over into an argument at some point in the near future, so he quickly excused himself, and grabbed Ginny’s sandwich and headed for the stairs. He thought he saw Gerty wink at him as she cleared the dishes.

He climbed the twisting stairs of the Burrow, nearly dropping the plate of food when the ghoul in the attic caused a great banging in on a pipe. He turned to Ginny’s door, and knocked softly. He could hear soft sobs coming from within.

“W-wh-who is it?” came the muffled voice.

“Erm, it’s Harry. I have your lunch,” his voice faltered. “Can I come in?”

There was a creaking noise as Ginny opened the door. She flung her arms around Harry, and sobbed into his t-shirt. He was able to put the food down before it met its doom. After a few minutes of him standing there, stupidly patting her on the back, she straightened up a little bit, and wiped her nose with a bit of tissue. Her red eyes looked up at Harry.

“I’m sorry you have to see me like this, Harry.” She turned to sit on the bed. “Dean was very nice to me. We hadn’t seen each other for several weeks, he has all the right to… to…” her voice broke as tears streamed down her face.

“Erm… there, there,” Harry sat next to her on the bed, and patted her shoulder. “Sorry. He’s not the brightest bloke, is he? Leaving a nice girl like you,” his brain searched and searched for nice things to say. But, at his last words, Ginny pepped up a bit and looked at him.

“You think I’m a nice girl?” her tears began to subside.

“Well, sure. I almost got you killed”several times”and you still speak to me. You deserve a medal and a parade… I don’t deserve… you shouldn’t even have to look at me…” Harry trailed off and realized the impact that his words had. He felt the guilt of the recent past fall heavily on to his shoulders. He put his head in his hands.

Ginny looked at him intently. Her tears had been swallowed into oblivion; her sandwich lay on the bed stand, forgotten. She leaned over and laid her arm over Harry’s shoulders.

“Harry, you didn’t make me do anything. I went with you because it was the right thing to do…” Harry was standing and making his way to the door, so Ginny wouldn’t have to see his tears.

He opened the door to leave. “I’m sorry Ginny.”

Ginny bolted to the door and wrapped her arms around his waist.

Harry was a bit surprised, and stopped short. Ginny pressed her head against his shoulder.

“You’re brilliant, Harry, you really are…” she looked up at him; tears were welling in her eyes for a completely different reason. The memory of Dean had flown and wasn’t coming back.

Harry looked down at her, tears streaming, her red hair gleaming. He felt strange. She was so beautiful, and so sad. He liked her very much, and couldn’t live with himself if he ever put her in danger again. Ginny stood up on her tip-toes, and kissed Harry very softly on the cheek.

Harry smiled at her. She smiled back, rays of sunshine breaking through a dark cloud. Her tears were gone. They leaned in and…



“WHAT IN BLOODY HELL IS HAPPENING IN HERE?!?!?!!!?” Ron’s voice bellowed and echoed and seemed to come from everywhere at once.

Ginny and Harry, both beet-red, took gigantic steps away from each other. Harry winced. He really did not want to die by the hand of his best friend.

Hermione was right behind Ron. Ron stormed in and pointed a finger at Harry, then one at Ginny. Hermione looked at him severely and cleared her throat. She glared at him until he dropped his arms. Then suddenly, he was calm.

“What are you two doing?” he asked in a choked, strangled, surprisingly rational voice.

“Erm… I was bringing Ginny a sandwich. And she was upset…” Harry didn’t have a very good explanation for what had been going on.

Hermione grabbed Ron’s hand. “Ron,” she said in a very sweet voice, which was very unlike her, but still very sincere. “Why don’t you and I go on a walk? Ginny’s upset, and I think Harry will be very sympathetic.” She gave Harry a meaningful look.

The red drained out of Ron’s face. “Okay…” he answered warily. “But no funny business with my sister…”

Hermione took Ron’s arm, and guided him out of the room, muttering under her breath. Harry and Ginny looked at each other, and with a few short steps each had reached the center of the room, and they looked each other in they eyes…


and fell over laughing.


They both rolled on the ground, clutching their stomachs until both of them were out of breath, and quite tired. Harry rolled over to sit up. Ginny did the same, and tumbled into his lap. There were several aftershocks of giggles, until they met eye to eye for the third time in the short span of time, they smiled. And kissed.
Harry's Birthday by blackdog
CHAPTER 4

Ron and Hermione walked down the stairs, through the kitchen, and out the back door into the yard. They walked to the back of the yard, and sat next to the green frog pond. Little frogs hopped merrily in and out of the water and lily pads.

Ron suddenly remembered a bit of his anger. “What’s Harry playing at?” he looked at Hermione. “Does he fancy Ginny?”

Hermione gave Ron a patronizing look. She thought about the best way to phrase the information she knew she had to share with Ron, but, in the early afternoon sunshine, she was a bit distracted by how adorably helpless her best friend looked. She sighed inwardly, knocking away the thoughts of Ron and his adorableness.

“Ginny fancies Harry. She always has. And Harry has finally realized this. Please don’t bite my head off over this. Or Harry’s. Or Ginny’s,” she added. “Let them be happy. Harry has had a hard few months, and Ginny might be just what he needs to keep him in balance.” She surveyed Ron’s face. He looked like he didn’t know whether to beat the pulp out of Harry or take a nap.

“Ron, are you feeling alright?” she looked at him a bit more intently, and took his hand. “Ron?”

Ron shook his shaggy red hair out of his eyes. He looked at Hermione. Her pretty face was full of concern. Her hair was glowing in the sunlight and… Ron looked away quickly. What was his mind playing at? She was his best friend.

“Er… I’m fine. I think I’ll… er… get a head start on those Charms essays…” he stood up stiffly, and headed back for the house.

Hermione stood and followed him. Boys were strange, she thought.


Harry and Ginny sat in her room, her head resting on his shoulder, as he read aloud to her out of a Muggle book he found in a rubbish bin. It was rather good, and very sad. Ginny sighed and snuggled closer to Harry. He was very good at doing all the voices and being dramatic at the suspenseful parts. He came to the end of a chapter, and stuck a bit of spare parchment between the pages. Kissing her on the cheek, he stood up and stretched.

“Let’s go see what Hermione and Ron are doing. We don’t want them to think the worst of us.” He grinned and held a hand out to Ginny. She took it, and they went down the stairs.

Hermione and Ron were nearly exactly as they left them, sitting at the table, discussing the Charms homework. Except that they weren’t fighting. They were being oddly formal and whenever Hermione would reach over to point something out, Ron would blush and Hermione would look at him and giggle.

Ginny and Harry looked at each other. They stepped into the kitchen. Abruptly, Hermione stopped giggling, and she turned the same shade of red that Ron was.

“Err… we were just on our way out…” Ginny pulled Harry’s arm out the back door to the garden. They could see one shining blond head, and one curly red head sticking up between rows in the garden. Fleur was wearing a big brimmed straw hat that flopped off and sat on the back of her shoulders and Muggle gloves. Gerty was lazily magiking the weeds into the rubbish bin as she sat with her back against a tree, Wolf gently snoozing in her lap. Happily, Harry and Ginny went to sit and enjoy the sunshine.


Evening came sooner than Harry expected. The sun was making long shadows on the grass and everything was turning a deep summer gold. Ginny’s hair shone like brilliant copper as they made their way inside. Gerty had retired into the house sometime earlier, only to turn around and come right back out.

Ginny looked at her and said, “Is everything all right?”

Gerty looked from Ginny to Harry to Fleur. “Harry, I hate to tell you this, but your two best friends are snogging in the kitchen. I don’t believe it’s my place to make them stop…” her voice trailed off with a sunny grin.

They all agreed not to mention anything to Ron or Hermione until they decided to tell, and spent the rest of the afternoon enjoying the weather.


Fleur and Gerty were busy preparing food. Fred and George came back and ushered Harry upstairs where he found Ron and Hermione sitting on opposite sides of Ron’s room, reading, their faces a very telltale shade of red. Harry noticed that Hermione’s book was upside-down.

“Er… I’m going to wash up for dinner…” he said.

“Jolly good… er… we’ll be down, I mean I… Hermione and I will be downstairs soon…” Ron said.

Harry smiled and went to wash his hands.


Later, Harry trooped downstairs to find many Order members, all the Weasleys (even Percy”he had apologized profusely the first week of holiday and was immediately accepted back with a bone-crushing hug from Molly), and Hermione and even Neville and his gran.

Harry grinned. He’d never had a proper birthday party before. There was a big banner hung above the table saying “Happy Birthday, Harry!” The table was piled high with food, and Gerty, Ginny, Hermione, Molly, Fleur, Bill, and Charlie were all merrily putting more food on the table and singing along with the wireless. Everyone smiled at Harry when he entered. Tonks and Lupin grabbed either arm, and steered him to a chair. Harry noticed they were grinning at each other. He barely had time to wonder before Molly started heaping food on his plate and everyone sat down. There was flutter of conversation and food, and Harry sort of lost himself in the laughter and the merriment. Ginny was sitting just to his left, and kept smiling at him. He snuck his hand around her shoulders and kissed her cheek when he thought no one was looking. Moody’s magical eye saw, though, and Ginny blushed. Harry could have sworn he gave them a small wink before turning his magical blue eye over to Bill and Fleur, who were not being quite as chaste in their pursuits.

After all the food had been magicked into the kitchen by the surprisingly adeptly domestic Weasley males (excluding Ron, who was being chastised by Hermione for eating half the roast) Mrs. Weasley came out bearing a huge cake with many candles. Everyone sang ‘Happy Birthday’ and Harry looked around and made a wish. The second all the candles were extinguished, Fred and George (or at least it was assumed) let off a great amount of fireworks that fizzed and whizzed around the merry partiers.

Everyone ate their fill of cake. As the dishes were sent lazily to the sink to be washed, Gerty cranked up the wireless, and began to dance. She pulled George out of his seat, and he began to twirl and waltz her around the kitchen. Bill and Fleur were engaged in a fascinating tango. Harry, who hated dancing, was surprised when Ginny grabbed his hands and pulled him up. He blushed and muttered that he was clumsy.

“Nonsense,” the smallest Weasley intoned, and began to move him in a fast rock and roll dance.

Everyone was up, dancing and talking. The Aurors disappeared before midnight, with the exception of Remus and Tonks. They were standing outside, and when Harry looked out the window, he could see them standing exceptionally close to each other.

Ginny was rocking back and forth with him. He looked down into her pretty eyes; her aurora of shining copper hair framed her lovely face. He leaned in, and kissed her gently. He could feel her warm cheek against his. He smiled. Suddenly, she pulled away.

“I have your present upstairs! Come on!” She grabbed his arm, and pulled him past Ron and Hermione who were snuggled close to each other, and nearly knocked over George and Gerty in the hallway. They bounded up the stairs into Ginny’s room. She shut the door slyly behind her. She opened her dresser, and pulled out a small box. Harry opened it with a bit of trepidation. It contained a small phoenix charm on a long chain. The phoenix shone with an eeiry red and silver glow that was a bit reminiscent of Fawks, Dumbledore’s own phoenix.

“Wow, Gin, this is amazing. I love it.” Harry looked at her with gratitude in his eyes.

Her face was shining. “I’m so glad!” She ran into his arms. Her presence was warm and comforting, and for the first time in his life, Harry felt like this was truly his home, where he was meant to be. All the worry, shame, and guilt he had been carrying with him melted away into the perfect moment… a perfect girl… a perfect kiss.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=19681