Wish Upon a Star by snapesluver
Summary: Hermione has lost the most important people in her life because of the war. She makes a wish and a certain Potions master is the only one who can grant it. This fic is about a student/teacher relationship. If this bothers you, don't read.
Categories: Hermione/Snape Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 4 Completed: No Word count: 5831 Read: 24678 Published: 11/06/04 Updated: 12/10/04

1. Breaking Down by snapesluver

2. Trying to Forget by snapesluver

3. Making a Wish by snapesluver

4. Sleeping Angel by snapesluver

Breaking Down by snapesluver
"But Hermione, why would you want to stay?" Ron asked for what seemed to be the tenth time today.

"I told you," Hermione began, somewhat edgily, "I have to if I want to be able to go to the university."

"Couldn't you possibly come for just a couple of days, then? Maybe for Christmas?" Ron demanded.

Hermione looked up from her Charms essay, knowing why he was being so insistent. She appreciated his concern and did not want to give him another reason to nag at her.

"Yes, I suppose I could," she said at last just to please him.

"Great! I'll go owl Mum now. She'll be so pleased," Ron said practically bouncing in his seat. He quickly scribbled a note to Mrs. Weasley, planted a sweet kiss on her cheek and left the common room.

Hermione stared after him, amused, wondering how he could be so mature and intense and yet so childish at times. Ron was the only one who still possessed that childlike innocence that she cherished so much. The war had destroyed that special quality in many of her friends. Everyone had changed so much in the last two months, but no one more than Harry.

And just like that, as if her thoughts had conjured him, Harry emerged from the stairs leading to the boys' dormitories. He looked around, and spotting Hermione, made a beeline for her.

"Hey," he said, collapsing on to a chair next to her, rubbing his eyes.

"Hey, sleepyhead," she smiled at him. "It's almost lunchtime."

He didn't look surprised at her announcement.

"Great, I'm starving," he groaned.

"You and Ginny got in pretty late last night," she grinned a bit.

Harry went a brilliant shade of red at this.

"Well...you know....I..." he stuttered. "Where's Ron?" he said abruptly, changing the subject. She burst out laughing at this, feeling like it was the first time in years, before answering him.

"Owlery, he's sending Mrs. Weasley a letter letting her know there'll be one more person for her to feed at Christmas dinner," Hermione answered, straightening the roll of parchment in front of her.

"So you're coming to the Burrow for the Holidays then?" he asked hopefully.

"Yeah, Ron finally convinced me. I'll be there for Christmas."

"That's wonderful! You could do with a few days off. You're working too hard, Hermione," Harry said, eyeing her closely.

"I'm not working any harder than usual. Besides, how am I supposed to qualify to be a Healer if I give up studying now?" she said briskly, arranging the numerous books on the table, not quite meeting his eyes.

"No one's telling you to stop studying all together," he argued with her. "You just need to relax." When she didn't respond, he softly said, "I'm really glad you'll be with us on Christmas."

"Yes, me too," she smiled at him.

After a pause he said, "So, everything is set, isn't it? I mean--- at home?"

The atmosphere around them got grim almost at once. Hermione felt a pang somewhere in her heart at these words. She knew what it must have cost Harry to bring it up with the two month anniversary approaching. They had not really gotten over it; no one had for that matter.

"Yes," she said, absently fingering the chain around her neck. "The house is finally cleaned out. Practically everything is out, and their practice is sold. I don't know what I would have done without Professors McGonagall and Snape. They took care of the legal procedures so all I really had to do was figure out what to do with the house," she said, trying to stay in control.

"So you're keeping it then?"

"I have to, don't I? I owe it to them. Mum and Dad had it specially built when I was born. They loved it," she said heavily.

Harry took her in his arms.

"I’m sorry," he whispered softly into her hair. "I'm so sorry. If I hadn't you made you stay maybe..." his voice trailed off, leaving a painful silence it its wake. Hermione felt him shaking.

"It's not your fault. You did what you thought best. I don't blame you, you know that," she said firmly.

"You could have held the Death Eaters off. I was selfish. All this time I've been running from it, but the truth is I wanted you and Ron with me if something happened. I had already lost Sirius because of my stupidity, and I wasn't going to take a chance with either of you."

"Harry---" she began, but he cut across her.

"How can you stand to be around me? It's all my fault. It's my ruddy fault that you have no parents, Hermione. It's my fault that Charlie, Percy, and Sirius are gone," he spat bitterly, pulling away from her. "I thought he would give up when he saw Dumbledore; I figured we were all safe, but I was wrong." He was pacing in front of the fire, breathing hard.

Hermione kept quiet and let him talk. Honestly, she had no words of comfort for Harry, because she was hurting as well, so much more than him. Surprisingly, Ron was the one who was good at comforting in times like this, when both she and Harry were down. Ron had matured alarmingly fast in the past few months. They all had because of recent events. She vaguely remembered in their fifth year sneering at Ron for not being able to understand her complex feelings. Now, it seemed he was the most perceptive one in their trio. Funny how things work out, she thought idly.

"You know, in a way I'm no better than Voldemort was," Harry continued in a hard voice. "We both caused so much death and destruction. He was right."

"Harry, what are you talking about?" Hermione demanded.

"In the Chamber of Secrets, he--he said we were the same, alike, and I didn't believe him then. I thought that being a Gryffindor made a difference, but it didn't. Strong, courageous, and heroic Gryffindor, indeed," he said, sneering. "I couldn't even save my best friend's parents. War brings out the best in some and the worst in others," he said sagely. “I came off looking like a selfish coward in front of the people I care most about," he finished, staring into the fire. The reflection from the fiery embers bounced onto his emerald eyes making them glow. They were filled with sadness and anger. Harry stood still, blinking rapidly. Hermione stood and went over to him

"It's not your fault," she said softly, making him look into her face. "You did not make me stay; I chose to on my own. Even if I had been there, what chance did I have? Those Death Eaters overcame both Tonks and Lupin. Me staying here means I was a part of ridding the world of Voldemort. I'm so proud to say that I fought side by side with Harry Potter. I'm so proud of you, Harry; we all are. No one thinks of you as anything other than a hero. You're so very different than Voldemort. You're brave, loyal, and GOOD. Don't ever compare yourself to him," she said to to him, desperate to make him understand. A few tears fell down Harry's cheek when he heard this, and he broke down completely.

He pulled her into his arms again and held her. They stood there quietly, softly crying. No one paid them much attention. Everyone was still grieving in their own ways.

A few moments later, Hermione felt another pair of arms wrap around Harry and herself. She opened her eyes and saw the trademark Weasley hair.

"I'm sorry," Ron whispered. She did not know whom he was addressing, nor did she care. She simply let herself be held by her two best friends. The hole in her heart where her parents had been had never seemed bigger.
Trying to Forget by snapesluver
Hermione lay wide awake in her four poster bed in her private Head Girl room, wishing sleep would claim her. But images kept popping into her head, making her heart pound and contracting her throat painfully.

It had been a week since Harry had broken down, and finally spoke of his feelings. He had been by her side helping her through the pain of losing her parents. Though he never spoke of it until last week, Hermione had a feeling he blamed himself for her parents death. When he finally openly took the blame, it really did nothing for her. What was the point in digging up the past?

Her parents had wanted her to stay at Hogwarts, near people who could protect her, and she had respected their wishes. She did not feel guilty of the choice she made, because in her heart she knew they would have approved.

At the end of her sixth year, she realized that not all of them would survive the war. Unconsciously she had been preparing herself for losses since then. Her parents deaths had been a shock, certainly, but a part of her knew it would eventually happen. She was a brilliant Muggleborn and Harry Potter's best friend. Those were enough reasons for Voldemort to want to take revenge on her and her family.

She was not the only one suffering, though. Ever since the war, Harry had been quite withdrawn, willing to talk about anything but that day. Hermione noticed the significant change in him. It had been more pronounced several months ago. He gradually opened up and became more himself with the help of Ron, Hermione, and Ginny.

They had all grown even closer together in the past couple of months. Each of them had been solidly present for the others, helping them through times of pain. Ron and Ginny had lost two brothers, Hermione lost her parents, and Harry had lost his godfather and the closest thing to a grandfather, Albus Dumbledore.

Yet, even with so many losses, they had celebrated; celebrated the downfall of Voldemort, and Harry was the hero who saved them all.

Despite being surrounded by people she loved most, next to her parents, Hermione felt alone; as if her heart would never completely heal from the pain. Even after almost two months, the wounds were still raw and fresh, and she had no idea who to talk to about her feelings. Harry, Ron, and Ginny had all left for the Burrow earlier this morning, and she was all alone. She could go to Professor McGonagall, the new Headmistress of Hogwarts; she had, after all, become like a second mother to her at Hogwarts. But, Hermione knew better than to barge in on her at two in the morning.

No matter how much she tried, she could not get away from the memories. She was having an especially hard time today, because it was the two year anniversary of what would have been her last trip with her parents.

During her fifth year, for Christmas holidays, her parents had planned for them to go skiing, just the three of them. Hermione had looked forward to the trip with much anticipation, despite Ron’s mockery; he just didn’t understand the purpose of sliding down a mountain on boards. She, however, paid no mind, and had eagerly packed everything and made sure she signed up for a seat on the Hogwarts Express. Everything had been going according to plan, until Mr. Weasley had been attacked by a snake in the Ministry of Magic. Thinking that Ron would need her support, she’d stayed in the wizarding world, ignoring her guilty conscience. She’d lied to her parents about needing to study for her O.W.Ls, and while they understood, Hermione knew that they were extremely disappointed. That was the last time she ever had a chance to spend time with them.

After two months, Hermione remembered everything leading up to that day as though it were yesterday. This along with the guilt she was feeling was almost unbearable. Her hand automatically went to the chain around her neck, and her fingers touched the pendant as the memories came flooding back...



Author's Note: I know this chapter is short, but I will post soon. Just review to persuade me!! *grins* Love you all for reviewing thus far. Stick around. More to come soon. Peace and love. ~Katy
Making a Wish by snapesluver
After two months, Hermione still remembered everything leading up to that day as though it were yesterday. This as well as the guilt she was feeling was almost unbearable. Her hand automatically went to the chain around her neck, and her fingers touched the pendant as the memories came flooding back...


~Flashback~

Hermione woke up one beautiful October morning with an unexplainable ominous feeling. Her heart felt heavy, and she could not concentrate on anything. However, she went about her business as usual; attending classes, answering questions, and doing homework. Though everyone knew the final battle was approaching and that it was inevitable, things were as normal around Hogwarts as possible. The only thing that comforted all the students and parents was knowing that Albus Dumbledore was present, and as long as he was here, nothing could go wrong.

How wrong they had been. For by dinnertime, Hermione's feelings had intensified and abandoning all her level-headedness, she stormed into the headmaster's office, Harry and Professor McGonagall at her side, demanding him to let her see her parents. Harry, however, stepped in.

"What if this is a trick, like the one he pulled with Sirius?" he asked.

Hermione was skeptical, while Dumbledore agreed with him. Harry also made a fair point in saying that the safest place was wherever Dumbledore was, and that if Voldemort found out she was away from Hogwarts, then he would undoubtedly strike.

"Why take a risk, Hermione? Besides, if something has happened, Professor Dumbledore would know," he said.

"You have to stay, Hermione. You're important to the Order. You wouldn't leave now, would you, not when we all need you so much?" Harry asked after a long silence.

"Hermione, dear, don't fret yourself. No one is forcing you to stay here. We all just believe it is the safest choice," said Professor McGonagall, rubbing her comfortingly on the back and glaring at Harry. He missed it though, and went on as if she hadn't spoken.

"You know that Hogwarts is the only safe place for Muggleborns. You said so yourself that your parents wanted you to stay here," Harry reminded her.

Another deadly glare from Professor McGonagall, and he shut up.

Hermione looked up from Professor Dumbledore's desk, her heart beating furiously.

"Are you sure everything's all right?" she asked him.

"I spoke to Remus just this morning, Hermione," he said comfortingly. "Everything is fine. It would be best if you stayed here, my dear."

"I'll stay, sir," Hermione finally said quietly. "But will you let me know if something happens?"

"Of course, Hermione. There is no need to worry. Nymphadora and Remus are staying with them. Your parents will be fine," he said gently.

Hermione nodded and reluctantly left Dumbledore's office with Harry, bidding the two professors a good night.

She knew she should feel better after having talked to Dumbledore. But something inside of her was out-of-sorts. It really wasn't anything she could understand or explain, yet it was there, almost like a warning.

That night, she trudged off to her lonely Head Girl room, her body and senses remaining alert. It was almost as if she was expecting bad news, and her body, without her knowledge, was preparing to hear it.

A few days later, Hermione finally heard the news she had so nervously been waiting for.

Both her parents had been killed by Voldemort's Death Eaters.

~End Flashback~

NO!!!


Hermione sat up in bed, tangled in the sheets, her nightgown sticking to her sweaty body. No matter how many times she thought of that night, it was always as if it was the first time. And it was always the same.

How much more could her heart take? It was enough that she thought of her parents all day long, but now her nights were filled with memories as well. Who could she turn to? Everyone was gone doing their own thing. She would have gone to the Burrow as well, but she had to stay because of Professor Snape.

After Hogwarts, Hermione was planning on going to the Wizarding University in London to study to be a Healer. The university required recommendations from her teachers. So far, Professor Snape was the only one who had not written her one. She would be working as his assistant for a month to gain experience with working with potions.

In all honesty she was looking forward to working with him. He had been surprisingly nice, well nice for Professor Snape, during the war, despite his ongoing troubles working as a spy for Dumbledore. He had been there with Dumbledore when she found out her parents had been killed. He'd kept her safe, looking over her personally, making her safety a priority. He'd seen her at her best and at her worst, and yet she knew that he didn't think any less of her.

Many nights, she'd had gone to him privately, seeking his comfort and assurance, and he'd given it with no reservations. Some nights she would talk, and he would listen without interrupting, letting her talk herself hoarse. Some nights they would sit in silence, him grading papers and her doing her work. Somehow, with him she'd felt at ease and safe.

But now that the war was over, and things around Hogwarts were finally back to normal, she couldn't find a reason to go to him to just talk. He was to back his usual snarky self, demanding and harsh in class, and unapproachable everywhere else.

She remembered how nervous she'd been about going to see him to ask for his recommendation. He'd been cold and calculated but eventually gave in.

Her hand twisted the chain around her neck as her breathing eventually returned to normal. What good was it sitting in here feeling sorry for herself? She needed some fresh air, and perhaps that would help her sleep.

She got out of bed and threw on her dressing gown. Grabbing her wand, she walked out the private entrance to her room, heading up towards the hall leading to the Astronomy Tower. She often went there nowadays for peace and quiet.

"Lumos," she whispered. Her wand lit up at once brightly.

She cast a warming charm on herself and slowly made her way to the tower. The various portraits on the walls blinked and grumbled at the light from her wand. Being the Head Girl, she had more advantages than the normal students at Hogwarts.

She climbed the stairs leading to her destination, her heart starting to thump again. She stood at the window, staring out at the stars, bright and twinkling in the clear night. Normally, it would snow at Hogwarts at this time of the year, but so far, there had been none.

"Nox."

She sighed and leaned over the low wall, tears threatening to fall. Her hand played with the little gold star pendant her parents had presented her with when she got accepted at Hogwarts.

They had been such good people. Even though she had been their only child, they'd agreed to send her away to a place no one had ever heard of, no questions asked. For as long she could remember, she never could recall one time when they'd been anything but loving and caring to her.

She remembered fighting with them about the little things. They’d always made up, but she never really got a chance to apologize for her actions. Of course, her parents had always forgiven her, even though she never really asked them to. And then she’d gone off to Hogwarts and never gave it much thought until now.

Time ceased to exist as she rapidly drifted away in her thoughts, happy thoughts and happy memories of her life before Hogwarts with her parents. Coming to Hogwarts had changed her life completely. And though she hated to admit it, sometimes she wondered if it hadn't changed for the worse.

True, she had made best friends; true, she had learned things she thought only existed in fantasy; and true, she was actually famous for fighting with the famous Harry Potter in the last battle, but what good were all those things if she had no one to share them with?

Real family and best friends were completely different. No matter how many times she told herself that they were her family now, it didn't fill the gap in her heart, nor did it help ease the pain.

Nothing was the same anymore. Her lips lightly kissed the gold star. She tilted her head back and stared at the bright stars overhead. As a child, she remembered many nights standing at her bedroom window, staring at the stars and making wishes she so truly believed would come true.

Her eyes closed on their own accord, and the familiar words came from her mouth before she could even give a thought to how ridiculous she sounded, wishing on a star and expecting it to really happen.

“Star light, Star bright,
First star I see tonight.
I wish I may, I wish I might,
Have the wish I wish tonight.
I wish for someone, anyone, to take this pain away. Someone to hold me, love me, and comfort me.”

She was a brave Gryffindor and most importantly, she was Hermione Granger, the strongest and most intelligent student at Hogwarts. She'd taken on Lord Voldemort. There wasn't anything she couldn't face. So why was she hurting so much? It had been almost two months already, and she still couldn't get away from the memories of her parents.

Tears had started running unchecked down her cheeks. She slid down the wall and sat against it curled up into a little ball, feeling miserable.

The cool air caressed her face gently, drying her tears as it went by, but Hermione paid no attention. Deep in her thoughts, the peace lulled her into a state of silence and ease, and she slowly slipped away into sleep, never noticing that she was being watched all the while.
Sleeping Angel by snapesluver
Professor Severus Snape stepped out of the shadows on the Astronomy Tower, never taking his eyes off the sleeping figure curled up against the wall. He moved stealthily, his boots thudding faintly on the floor. As he stood gazing down at Hermione, powerless to look away from her tear-stained face, his mind flew back six years.

Severus sat at the Head Table in the Great Hall, waiting for the Sorting Ceremony to begin when his eyes fell on a small, bushy-haired girl standing next to Harry Potter. She was staring up at the Sorting Hat, like the rest of the first years, her mouth slightly open, her eyes wide.

He watched in distaste as she eagerly ran up to the stool, when her name was called, and jammed the hat on her head, something telling him to keep an eye on this one.

So he did. Simple as that. Severus Snape had never done anything in his life without reason or meaning. Joining the Dark Lord had been his way to achieve power. And spying for Albus Dumbledore and the Order of the Phoenix later on was his only way to redeem himself for all the awful sins he had committed.

So he could not understand his fascination with this buck-toothed, annoying little Gryffindor. She was nothing extraordinary, if you took away her brilliant mind and her friendship with one of the most legendary wizards, Harry Potter.

Steadily, however, over the course of the years, she came to occupy a special place in his heart, a place that had been empty up until he met Hermione. She became something more than a mere student, more than an extraordinary witch that he had the pleasure of teaching.

Of course, in all the years she had been at Hogwarts, no one would have guessed that Professor Snape was captivated by a Gryffindor, THIS Gryffindor. He thought he put on quite a show, expressing hatred towards her and everything she stood for.

In a way, he did hate her. He hated her for being such a know-it-all and for associating with Potter. He hated for being a perfect little Gryffindor, and he hated for always making his Slytherins look bad in front of the other teachers. Most of all, he hated her for being so untouched, so pure, and she had no idea what she did to him.

He detested himself for having such immoral thoughts about a student. And even though he'd done some terrible things in the past, he couldn't bring himself to touch Hermione and befoul her.

So he kept her at bay, insulting her at every chance he got. It was really the only way he knew how to show that he had no interest in her whatsoever. What Severus didn't realize was that he was trying to convince himself more than anyone else.

As far as he was concerned, he had no emotions. No woman could bring out the compassion in him, not that he had such a side. His gifted mind was the only thing going for him. He wasn't a handsome man, not by a long shot, and he didn't know the first thing about winning a woman over.

Therefore, he had never cared much for one in his life. He had had his share during his time as a Death Eater, and most of those had ended as rapes. Besides that and the occasional visit to Hogsmeade looking for quick release, he'd never bothered paying much attention to any woman, especially a student.

Try as he might to stop it, his feelings came undone the night she was attacked in the Department of Mysteries. Dumbledore had brought her back to Hogwarts unconscious.

He remembered sitting at her bedside that night in the Infirmary, longing to touch her, his heart thudding madly, knowing he shouldn't be there. He'd been through so much shit over the years, and his heart couldn't handle losing Hermione as well.

In truth, Hermione wasn't his to lose, but he liked to think of her as belonging to him, all his, just like he was hers.

That summer, he saw her almost everyday. Perhaps it was then they came to have a unique bond between them. He watched her at every Order meeting, resolutely coming up with ideas to help in any way she could. He was amazed at her determination and perseverance. Even Molly Weasley had not been able to overrule her decision to join the Order. Dumbledore gave in, unwilling to keep anyone in the dark after Black's death.

Or perhaps it was the hours they spent slaving over a sweltering cauldron, brewing potion after potion, researching together to come with an answer to defeat the Dark Lord that brought them together. Of course, their relationship was strictly as one between a student and teacher, but all the same, they came to understand one another.

He never expressed his feelings for her. She was, after all, still barely a woman and his student. For the first time in his life, Severus experienced moral thoughts when it came to his needs as a man. She grew into a lovely young lady with a sweet face and beautiful doe eyes, and as the months went by, it became harder and harder to keep away from her.

Gradually though, once school started, they both fell into their old roles and grew apart. In the time they spent away from each other, the war raged on outside the solid walls of Hogwarts, and Severus kept up his job as a spy.

Her sixth year morphed into her final year at Hogwarts and still he kept away from her, knowing no good would come from confessing the truth to her. He knew he could just as easily die tomorrow, and what good was it to get emotionally involved with her? Besides, he knew she would shy away, being the proper young lady that she was.

How wrong he was. That year, the war reached the peak, taking many lives with it, Hermione's parents included. He'd been somewhat taken aback when she turned to him for comfort. Of course he'd given it, not knowing how to say no, really.

Many nights would find him pacing in his office, keenly listening for the timid knock. He'd often wondered what in the hell she was thinking, coming willingly to see the most detested professor at Hogwarts. At some point he even suspected a spell, but one look into those big brown eyes gave him all the reassurance he needed.

As much as he hated to acknowledge, it was comforting to have her with him. Her mere presence put him at ease. Some nights, after his regular meetings with Voldemort, he would come home to his gloomy dungeons, only to find Hermione sitting by his office, patiently waiting his return. He'd berated her countless times for being out after dark, particularly in the Slytherin part of the castle, and taken numerous points from her House, but she paid him no mind. Besides, Severus knew Dumbledore watched over her as well, so she was as safe as a person could be.

Innumerable times he even thought about inviting her into his rooms and offering her his many potions books, knowing she wouldn’t have said no. But he figured that would be going too far. In any case, she would stop coming to him after the initial shock of her parents' death set in.

And just as he'd suspected, the war ended, and she stopped talking to him. Not one friendly word had passed between them since then. He expected as much. How many disappointments had he had in his life? So this was just one more to add to the list.


Severus stared down his nose at Hermione, resenting himself for being there. He was just setting himself up for another heartache, really. She had no idea how much it hurt when she walked out, not even looking back to give thanks.

He'd been of half a mind to refuse flat out to give her a recommendation letter, but he could hardly do so when she'd been standing right under his nose, her chocolate eyes pleading with him silently.

She would be by his side for a month, working as his apprentice. It all truth, he was looking forward to teaching her potions that so greatly surpassed a normal seventh year's skills. It would be that much harder to stay away from her. She would run if she knew just what he thought of her.

It surprised him just how lonely she was. He could be the "someone" she'd wished for tonight. He'd comforted her before, and he could do it again. It hurt him that she would rather suffer alone than come to him.

But of course, it was impossible for Professor Snape to have any feelings; he thought bitterly, his lip curling.

She was a selfish little chit, walking out on him the minute she felt better. But she wasn't better. He knew that from listening to talk to the stars tonight. So why wouldn't she come to him? What had he done wrong? He supposed he could have made more of an effort to be a little nicer when he had the chance, but allowing her to come and talk to him was nice enough in his opinion.

He sighed deeply and kneeled in front of Hermione, not knowing what to do. He couldn't just leave her there; she would freeze. He should take her back to her room, if he could get the nerve up to touch her, that is.

When she shivered slightly, Severus made up his mind and moved to pick her up in his arms, praying that she wouldn't stir.

He smoothly scooped her up, shocked at how light she was, and quickly moved away from the drafty window. She automatically snuggled into his warmth, her nose burrowing into his chest. A delicate arm came up around his neck, and she clung to him tightly.

He walked carefully, as to not disturb the precious cargo in his arms. He somehow managed to get to the private entrance to her room without her waking and whispered some well-chosen words, and the wards came down.

He stepped through the door and moved across the room to gently drop her onto the bed. A small sigh escaped her lips when he tried to move his arm from under her head. Using magic, he removed her dressing gown and shoes off, relieved that she had on a modest nightgown underneath. He pulled the covers over her and stood staring down at her face, engraving it into his memory. He stared to his heart's content, knowing he could never again come this close to the sleeping angel.

A shaky finger came up and gently ran down the silken skin of her cheek. Hermione stirred at the touch, a small frown crossing her features.

Severus abruptly stepped back from the bed and left the room, not trusting himself to stay any longer. A quick look back at the door and then he was gone, not even realizing his angel had started crying in her sleep the moment he'd left her bedside, blindly reaching out for his touch.




Author's Note: I want to thank all you wonderful people for reviewing my story, and especially to one person who e-mailed me about updating. Unfortunately, they didn't leave their name, so if you're out there and reading this, thank you so much for being so nice and supportive. The next chapter should be up in a couple of weeks, as I have finals in college now. Thank you so much for being so patient. Peace and love to you all!!! ~Katy