Canis Majoris by trinsy
Summary: Adhara Jocelyn Black has always been torn between her loyalty to James Potter, her cousin Sirius's best mate, and Lily Evans, the sister she has never known. But in her seventh year everything changes. Join Jocelyn, Sirius, Lily, and the rest of the Marauders as they battle for their lives... and loves...
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 34 Completed: Yes Word count: 56522 Read: 115608 Published: 04/27/05 Updated: 04/04/06

1. Jocelyn's Predicament by trinsy

2. Sirius's Grudge by trinsy

3. Patrol Duty and a Plan by trinsy

4. An Unexpected Question by trinsy

5. The Greatest Crime by trinsy

6. Of Scarlet Ink and Anger by trinsy

7. The Challenge by trinsy

8. Notes by trinsy

9. The Black Beater by trinsy

10. Hogsmeade by trinsy

11. Mail by trinsy

12. This is War by trinsy

13. Bellatrix's Revenge by trinsy

14. Patrolling with Prongs by trinsy

15. Alphard Black by trinsy

16. Confrontation by trinsy

17. The Greatest Weakness by trinsy

18. Grave Danger by trinsy

19. Charmed and Charmed Again by trinsy

20. About Time by trinsy

21. Christmas is {Not} a Time of Romance by trinsy

22. Complications by trinsy

23. A Shattered Struggle by trinsy

24. I Didn’t by trinsy

25. Enough by trinsy

26. A Wholly Sweet Easter by trinsy

27. Restless Abandon by trinsy

28. Going After by trinsy

29. Inscriptions by trinsy

30. Of Trust and Promises by trinsy

31. The Legend by trinsy

32. The Summary by trinsy

33. You and Me by trinsy

34. Beautiful by trinsy

Jocelyn's Predicament by trinsy
Disclaimer: All characters/settings from the brilliant mind of JKR (Plot/Jocelyn Black belong to me, of course)



Adhara Jocelyn Black was not one to be trifled with. All of Hogwarts knew this. It was the second rule you learned as a first year (the first was to watch out for Peeves). Say one word against Jocelyn’s friends, so much as glance in their direction in an unfriendly manner, and you would pay. It had been her way since her first day… which was why the situation between Lily and James had always been so confusing for her. Oh, she knew she was loyal to them. She knew what she would do if someone crossed either one. But she didn’t know what to do when the two had a go at each other. Sometimes she thought she should side with James. After all, she had met him first, got along swimmingly with him, had even spent summers at his house, and played with him on the Gryffindor house Quidditch team. But Lily was the only girl Jocelyn had ever really got close to, and Jocelyn knew that she didn’t want to lose that.

Jocelyn had met both Lily and James on her first train ride to Hogwarts. James had come first, wandering into the compartment she was sharing with her cousin, Sirius Black.

“Can I sit here,” he said, more as a statement than a question. “Everywhere else is full.”

Jocelyn looked at Sirius, who grinned and nodded. In less than thirty seconds the three were having a passionate debate about Quidditch teams, and Sirius and James had been inseparable ever since. Lily didn’t arrive for fully five minutes afterward, dragging her trunk and already changed into her school robes. Neither Jocelyn nor Sirius noticed her standing in the doorway until James broke off his explanation of a complicated Quidditch play mid-word.

“The Chaser reverse passes the Quaf “ whoa!” he said in an awed voice.

Sirius and Jocelyn turned to see what he was looking at. Jocelyn decidedly did not know what was so special about this girl that was making James act like a complete fool. Her red hair was pulled back in a hasty ponytail, her robes had become slightly crooked, and her bright green eyes shone with a mixture of bewilderment and disapproval. She looked just like any other first year girl on the train. Jocelyn looked over at Sirius, and was relieved to see he wasn’t goggling at her like an idiot, the way the James was.

“I suppose I’ll have to sit with you three,” announced the girl, not sounding at all happy about this turn of events, “because this is the only compartment that has room.”

Sirius and Jocelyn exchanged looks.

“Who are you?” asked Sirius, rather rudely.

“Lily Evans,” the girl snapped. “Who are you?”

“Sirius Black. This is James Potter, and my cousin, Jocelyn.”

“Pleasure,” said Lily, not sounding pleased at all. “What’s up with Potter, anyway, why can’t he close his mouth? Did someone curse him? There are curses like that you know, I’ve read all about them, and I can do the countercurse if you “”

“There’s nothing wrong with him,” snapped Jocelyn. Who did this girl think she was anyway, bursting into their compartment like this? “And you can just keep your nose out of places it doesn’t belong!”

“Well,” said Lily, sounding offended, “there’s no need to take that tone with me, I was only trying to help. Potter-would-you-close-your-mouth!” she finished through gritted teeth.

With a great effort, James closed it.

It was evident from that first train-ride that Lily had major problem with James, and James had a major thing for Lily.

“Isn’t she beautiful?” he asked Jocelyn at the feast that night.

“Well, no,” replied Jocelyn bluntly. “I think she’s a bit of a snob.”

In the end, however, after a few weeks of being partnered with Lily in Charms (a class which Lily excelled in), Jocelyn found her more likable, and by the end of their first year, the two were fast friends.

But it was precisely this turn of events that made everything so confusing. Jocelyn couldn’t really blame Lily for disliking James, she found him rather annoying herself, when he was around Lily anyway. But she couldn’t not be friends with him. After all, he was best mates with Sirius, and Sirius was like her brother. Not hanging around with him simply couldn’t be done. She somehow managed to keep on friendly terms with all of them, but it was difficult, and awkward.

“Jocelyn, come into Hogsmeade with us,” Sirius begged their third year.

“Sirius, I can’t, you know that, I’m going with Lily!”

“But Jocelyn, you’re a Marauder!”

“Well, no, I’m not,” she’d tried to explain. “I’m your cousin.”

But neither Sirius nor the other three Marauders could understand this difference, and Jocelyn had often found herself in the middle of very tense and very awkward situations. Just like she was going to find herself in now. Oh what would Lily say when she found out James was Head Boy?

“Jocelyn, hurry up, Lily’ll have a fit if James is late!” Sirius shouted back at her, interrupting her thoughts, as she carefully navigated her overloaded trolley through King’s Cross Station.

“Just because I’m the only female Beater at Hogwarts doesn’t mean I’m some sort of reincarnation of Hercules!” she snapped. “This trolley’s heavy, if you’re that worried why don’t you give me a hand?”

“Don’t talk, walk!” Sirius ordered.

“Why doesn’t James go on ahead if it’s that important?” Jocelyn gasped as she finally arrived in front of the barrier that was the secret entrance to Platform 9 3/4.

“We’ve gone through the barrier together ever since first year!” said Sirius, looking at her as though she’d gone mad. “We couldn’t break the tradition our last year!”

Jocelyn rolled her eyes.

“You two are worse than girls!”

“Lovely,” said Sirius briskly, clearly not listening to her. “It’s clear, go!”

Jocelyn straightened her trolley and ran straight at the barrier, coming out on a platform full of chattering students, hovering parents, mewing cats, hooting owls, and a hissing scarlet steam-engine. A moment later Sirius and James came up behind her.

“Why in the name of Merlin did you wait for us?” said Sirius rudely. “Go on, move!”

“I think you’re an excellent friend too, Sirius,” Jocelyn said sarcastically.

“Of course you do,” Sirius smiled at her, completely missing the point. “Here, that looks heavy,” he added, noticing her trying to heave her trunk onto the train, and with a flick of his wand he levitated both their trunks and sent them floating ahead of him into the train.

“Oi, Padfoot!” James called at Sirius, who turned, but still managed to expertly control the two floating trunks and keep them from knocking over a couple of passing first years. “I’ve got to get to the Prefects’ Compartment! Try and find an empty compartment, Remus and I’ll meet you, Jocelyn and Peter when we’ve finished!”

“Try to get Lily to come along,” Jocelyn called at James’s retreating back.

He turned and flashed her his trademark grin.

“I’ll just use my irresistible school-boy charm!” he called back.

“Never mind, have Remus try to get her to come along,” she shouted, grinning back at him.

He winked at her and disappeared into the next car.

Please don’t make her angry, Prongs, she silently willed him.

“He’ll be fine,” Sirius said, smiling down at her.

“Yes, of course,” Jocelyn shook her head to clear away her thoughts. “Let’s find a compartment then.”

They began to walk down the length of the train, their trunks floating on ahead of them.

“Oi, watch “!” Sirius called out too late. The trunks slammed into a short, plump, blonde-haired boy, knocking him over.

“Oi!” Sirius muttered in an undertone to Jocelyn, rolling his eyes. “First year by the size of him. Stupid prat, why couldn’t he watch where he was going?”

He strode over to the boy.

“Oi, you all “ Oh, hello Peter!” he greeted as he realized who it was. He was obviously fighting hard to keep from laughing. “Sorry about that! Had a nice summer?”

“All right. Yours?” Peter Pettigrew squeaked out as Sirius helped him to his feet and levitated his trunk as well.

“Excellent!” Sirius said happily, turning into an empty compartment and levitating the trunks into the luggage rack. He settled himself down on one of the seats. Jocelyn sat down beside him, Peter across from him.

“I’m bored,” Sirius declared after a few seconds.

Jocelyn laughed.

“Bored? We haven’t even pulled out of the station yet!”

“Exactly,” Sirius nodded. “Lucky full moon’s in four days, I don’t think I could stand to wait much longer!”

“Does Remus think it’s lucky?” Jocelyn asked quietly as, with a lurch, the train began to pull out of the station. She knew all about Remus’s “condition”, as they tactfully referred to it, and the way James, Sirius, and Peter had devised to help him. She was the only one the Marauders would ever have trusted with the secret.

“Oh,” Sirius’s eyes flickered with doubt, and he became much more subdued. “I wonder how his summer was….”

“I’m sure it was fine,” Jocelyn said, placing a reassuring hand on Sirius’s arm. She looked at Peter for support, but saw the same doubt reflected in his small, watery eyes.

As if on cue, Remus Lupin entered the compartment. Jocelyn bit her lip. He looked distinctly worse for wear.

“Hello Moony,” said Sirius cheerfully, but Jocelyn could tell that his heart wasn’t in his greeting. “Er “ had a nice summer, did you?”

“Excellent,” said Remus briskly. Peter scooted over to the seat closest to the window, and Remus sat in his vacated seat. James also entered the compartment and sat on the other side of Sirius, across from Peter.

“Where’s Lily?” Jocelyn mouthed at him.

“Coming,” he mouthed back, but he looked scared.

She raised her eyebrows skeptically, trying to veil her foreboding.

“Really,” he mouthed, looking sincere.

She smiled and gave him a small thumbs-up, but still wasn’t convinced.

“So you had a nice summer?” she said conversationally, turning to Remus.

“Brilliant!” Remus reiterated. “When I wasn’t biting myself that is!” he added with a hearty laugh.

James, Sirius, Peter, and Jocelyn laughed as well, but it was very forced. Remus shot them an inquisitive look.

“What’s up with you four?”

“Er “ Moony,” Sirius began awkwardly. “We’re really sorry, we should have taken you with one of us….”

“What for?” Remus questioned, looking genuinely puzzled.

“Well “ er,” Sirius lowered his voice, shooting a nervous glance at the open compartment door. Jocelyn took the hint and shut it. “Are you sure you were all right when it was” “ he lowered his voice so much the rest of them had to lean in to hear “ “when it was “ full moon?”

Remus laughed.

“Of course I was all right!” he said, looking astonished. “What, you don’t think I could get on without one of you around? It makes things considerably more pleasant when you’re there, I can assure you, but I can survive a couple of full moons without you three!”

Sirius and James exchanged looks.

“You “ you sure?” James asked pensively.

“Of course I’m sure,” Remus assured them, still shaking his head in amazement. “I’d think you two” “ he gestured at James and Sirius “ “would be happy to have a couple months free of my bites!”

Sirius and James looked horrified.

“Kidding!” cried Remus, laughing. “Can’t you two take a joke?”

“That’s not something to joke about,” said James severely, looking shaken.

“What’s not something to joke about?” Lily questioned, entering the compartment. She seemed to be in a foul mood, much to Jocelyn’s unease.

“Nothing!” Sirius and James said together at once.

Lily’s eyebrows shot up.

“Tell me,” she demanded.

“It was nothing, Lily,” Jocelyn said soothingly, then mouthed so only Lily could see her, “Severus.”

Comprehension dawned across Lily’s pretty face, and she seated herself across from Jocelyn without saying any more, much to everyone’s surprise. The four boys shot Jocelyn a grateful look.

“So,” Sirius began pleasantly, “how was your summer, Ev “ Lily,” he quickly corrected himself, wincing. Jocelyn had elbowed him hard in the ribs.

“All right,” Lily shrugged, frowning at him slightly. “I’m Head Girl you know.”

“Yes, Jocelyn told me,” said Sirius.

Jocelyn elbowed him again but the damage was already done. Lily’s eyes clouded.

“Oh, she mentioned that to you, did she?” she said dangerously. “Funny, she never mentioned Potter’s appointment to me!”

“Thanks,” Jocelyn hissed angrily in Sirius’s ear. She turned to Lily. “Lily, I’m really sorry, the thought just never occurred to me, and “”

“Oh, the thought ‘never occurred to you’, did it?” said Lily angrily. “And why, may I ask, would that be?”

“I think I’d better make sure no one’s getting into trouble,” Remus announced, standing. “Would anyone like to come with me?”

The other three Marauders leapt to their feet at once.

“See you girls later,” said Sirius as he shut the door behind them. Jocelyn could have cursed him.

“Lily, look, I “”

“Jocelyn,” Lily cut her off, but in a much more controlled voice. “Do you have any idea the kind of shock I got when James Potter walked into the Prefects’ compartment wearing the Head Boy badge?”

“Well, no,” Jocelyn admitted guiltily. “But “”

“I screamed,” Lily told her. “Which was a right bit embarrassing, as I’m sure I don’t need to tell you.”

Jocelyn owned to herself that she wouldn’t want to scream if a boy who declared his undying love to her everyday over lunch walked into the compartment just then.

“I’m sorry, Lily,” she said meekly, “I didn’t think “”

That,” Lily observed dryly, “is obvious.”

“I just wanted you to have a nice summer,” Jocelyn justified. “And I thought, ‘Well, she’s so happy she’s Head Girl, and that’ll be poisoned if she knows James is Head Boy, so…’” she trailed away uncertainly.

“I’m sure you meant well,” Lily conceded. “I was just upset because of the shock, that’s all. It’s all right.”

“So… you’re not angry with me?” said Jocelyn pensively.

“No,” Lily smiled. “After all, who I would I talk to if I stopped being friends with you?”

“True,” Jocelyn grinned. “I’ll go tell the boys it’s safe now. If that’s all right with you,” she added quickly.

“It’s fine,” Lily shrugged. “I suppose I’ll have to get used to them.”

Jocelyn left the compartment smiling, and thinking that the year might not be so bad after all. She didn't - she couldn't - know just how wrong she was.


A/N: I know, it starts off slow, all fics do... love it? hate it? then give a review to let me know!
Sirius's Grudge by trinsy
“This is the year, m’boys,” James announced to the other three Marauders as they lounged on their beds after the feast. “This is the year “”

“That you will win Lily Evans’ heart,” the others recited in unison.

“Yep, heard that one before,” observed Sirius boredly. “When are you going to give up, Prongs? You’ve beaten that horse to death, and now you’re trying to ride it! Give it up, would you?”

“But this year I know I can do it!” James insisted, rolling on his side and rising on an elbow to look at Sirius in the next four-poster.

Sirius also raised himself on an elbow, facing James.

“Prongs, Lily Evans is a hopeless case. She despises you. She hates the very air you breathe! She’s “”

“Not like the other girls here, I know!” snapped James, sitting up in his anger. “That’s “”

“Why you like her,” sighed Sirius. He rose and sat down on James’s bed, beside him. “Look, maybe we’re both idiots. We both fancy girls that are hopeless cases. But do you want to know the difference between you and me?” he questioned.

“Tell me,” James demanded, one eyebrow cocked.

“I realize she’s a hopeless case, Prongs,” said Sirius quietly.

“But it’s different for you!” insisted James, getting angry again. He jumped to his feet and started pacing back and forth. “At least she talks to you! At least she doesn’t despise you! At least “!”

“She cares about me?” questioned Sirius, with a sad smile. “Yes, she does. And you know something, Prongs?”

James sat down beside him again and buried his face in his hands.

“What?” he muttered.

“That’s the most torturous thing about it. Knowing she loves me, and yet knowing that she’ll never love me the way I want her too.”

James took his face out of his hands and looked at Sirius.

“I know,” he whispered.

“I don’t understand women, Prongs,” said Sirius, standing up and placing a hand on James’s shoulder. “But I do understand rejection.”

James gave a wry smile.

“I guess we all do,” he sighed.

“But not all of us accept it,” Sirius observed. “Do you?”

“I guess I have to, at this point,” admitted James sadly. And with those depressing words, the Marauders bade each other goodnight.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“You know, Lily,” Jocelyn began as the two changed into their pajamas, “James “”

“Really isn’t so bad,” Lily finished, sighing. “Honestly Joce’, you have a whole year to come up with a new start of term speech, but you inevitably give the same one. Why can’t you come up with something new? Even the Sorting Hat comes up with a new song every year, and it’s “ well, a hat,” she concluded lamely.

“Well that’s observant of you,” said Jocelyn sarcastically. “The Sorting Hat’s a hat, who would have guessed?”

Lily rolled her eyes.

“That wasn’t the point!”

“You’re right, the point was James Potter, but good effort at changing the subject,” said Jocelyn quickly.

“I don’t want to talk about James Potter, Jocelyn,” said Lily, annoyed.

“And why not?”

“Because when it comes to James Potter I have absolutely nothing to say,” said Lily loftily.

“Wrong!” shouted Jocelyn, making the other three girls in their dormitory jump. She quickly lowered her voice again, but continued with the same intensity. “You don’t want to talk about James Potter because you have everything to say, and that scares you!”

“That’s a lie!” said Lily quickly, her voice rising.

“Is it?” Jocelyn demanded. “Then why are you arguing about him with me? Why did you scream when you found out he was Head Boy? Why did you care that I didn’t tell you about his appointment? Seems odd behavior for a girl who claims she doesn’t care a jot about him!”

Lily snatched her wand off the bedside table and pointed it at Jocelyn.

“Take it back, Jocelyn!” she growled.

Jocelyn just smiled calmly. She’d seen Lily like this before.

“What are you going to do? Curse me? Do it, it’ll only prove my point!”

Lily slowly lowered the wand until it was pointing at the floor.

Jocelyn continued to smile, and gave Lily an I-told-you-so sort of look.

“Oh, shove off!” snapped Lily, sitting down on her four-poster, and angrily ripping her hangings shut.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“What classes do we have today, Moony?” Sirius questioned at breakfast the next morning.

“Transfiguration,” Remus told him, checking the schedule.

“Excellent,” said James happily.

“I have Muggle Studies first,” Peter observed sadly. Poor Peter had only got one O.W.L., an acceptable in Charms. He therefore had had to take all his classes from forth year again in his sixth year, and was taking fifth year classes this year.

“Well that should be easy enough,” said Lily, who was sitting across from him.

Peter looked at her as though she had suddenly sprouted antlers.

“It’s one of the hardest subjects there is!” he protested.

“Nonsense,” said Lily, dismissing his objections with a wave of her hand. “The problem with the wizarding community is that they make Muggles entirely too complicated. They’re not. They’re really quite simple!”

“Anything’s simple if you’re raised with it,” Remus pointed out, speaking to Lily over Jocelyn’s head, since she was sitting between them.

“Well, yes of course,” said Lily touchily. “But Muggles really aren’t that complicated “”

“And neither are the Dark Arts,” Sirius spoke up from next to Peter, not addressing Lily directly, but instead staring up at the enchanted ceiling, which was unusually clear and sunny that morning.

“Are you mad?” Lily demanded of Sirius. “Of course the Dark Arts are complicated, why do you think “?”

“They’re not complicated for me,” said Sirius stubbornly.

“Well that’s entirely different,” said Lily edgily.

“Why?” demanded Sirius. “There are things that Muggles do that we wizards find fascinating, but that are second-nature for you because you were raised with them. And there are Dark spells that are difficult for other wizards, but that I could do like that” “ he snapped is fingers “ “because I was raised watching them done.”

“No, it’s not the same thing,” Lily insisted.

“Suit yourself,” shrugged Sirius, and returned to his toast.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“N.E.W.T.s are the most important tests you will ever take at Hogwarts. They will affect your career opportunities, you’re salary, you’re “ Black! Potter! Will you pay attention!” Professor McGonagall interrupted her lecture irritably.

Sirius and James looked up at her in bewilderment. They had been bent over a piece of parchment, and having a whispered discussion on their plans for the next full moon.

“Thank you! Now as I was saying, N.E.W. “ Mr. Lupin, you were made Prefect for a reason, and you would do well to remember that that privilege could be revoked at any time, if you are not fulfilling your duties!”

Remus’s jaw dropped.

“But Professor, I wasn’t doing anything!”

“That is precisely my point. Your friends may not listen to me, but I would think they would listen to you! Can you not control them?”

“If you can’t stop us, Professor, I don’t think anyone can!” said Sirius, his mouth twitching insolently.

For a moment Sirius thought he had gone too far. Professor McGonagall looked as though she was about to explode.

“That’s probably true, Mr. Black,” she said finally, and Sirius distinctly saw the corners of her mouth twitch. “However, I would appreciate it if you and Potter would at least try to exercise a little respect in my class.”

“Right-o, mate,” said Sirius, sweeping the parchment he and James had been examining back into his bag, and leaning back in his chair. Professor McGonagall allowed herself a small smile at that, before turning back to the class to resume her lecture with her usual severity. Sirius looked back to grin at Jocelyn, only to be sent a disapproving look by Lily, which annoyed him. What business was it of hers? She was always getting involved in the Marauders’ affairs, he reflected bitterly. Just like that morning with Peter and Muggle Studies. What did it matter to her if Peter was doing poorly in Muggle Studies, or if he and James talked during Transfiguration, or if they occasionally tortured Snape? She was a right little nosy, know-it-all, goody-two-shoes, that’s what she was.

I don’t know what James sees in her, he thought to himself. I really don’t.

He didn’t know what Jocelyn saw in her as a friend, either.

Harasses her because she likes to hang around with us, that’s what she does, he thought angrily. What’s it to her if Jocelyn likes to spend time with us? Jocelyn was friends with us long before she was friends with her! She’s a jealous little git, that’s what she is! And she ruins all our lives because we all have to listen to James go off about how wonderful she is, the idiot! Wonderful! Ha! She’s an annoying prat!

But the bell rang before Sirius could continue his mental tirade against Lily Evans.
Patrol Duty and a Plan by trinsy
“It’s patrol duty, not a date!” snapped Lily irritably as she haphazardly crammed her feet into her shoes. She yanked quickly on her shoelace and it broke.

“I just think you could make an effort to at least look halfway decent,” commented Jocelyn in an offhanded tone. She was lying spread-eagled on her bed, studying the top of her four-poster instead of looking at Lily.

“James Potter would think I looked beautiful if I came to patrol duty in Severus Snape’s pants,” said Lily distractedly as she tried to repair her broken shoelace.

“That is probably the truest thing you’ve ever said,” Jocelyn agreed. She rolled on her side and noticed what Lily was doing. “Reparo,” she muttered, pointing her wand at Lily’s foot, and the shoelace became whole again.

“Why didn’t I think of that?” wondered Lily crossly, hurriedly tying it.

“Love does strange things to a person,” Jocelyn observed.

Lily glared at her as she yanked open the door.

“I do not fancy James Potter, Jocelyn,” she reminded her friend.

“Suit yourself,” Jocelyn shrugged, grinning.

“Thanks,” said Lily sarcastically. “See you later then.”

“Remember Lils,” Jocelyn called just before the door shut, and Lily paused. “The first stage is denial.”

The door slammed shut.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Padfoot!” James shouted angrily.

“Prongs!” Sirius jovially responded.

James gave a frustrated growl. He yanked on his shoelace and it broke off in his hand. He swore, loudly.

“Language, Potter,” said Sirius in mock solemnity. He was lying spread-eagled on his bed, staring at the ceiling. “What would your mother say?”

“She’d tell you to “” James began angrily, but he was cut off as Peter came bursting into the room.

“You’re late!” he snapped at James. “She’s waiting for you, and she’s really angry! You were supposed to have left five minutes ago!”

“I know that!” growled James, who was vainly trying to repair his broken shoelace. “Half a moment, all right?”

Sirius rolled over and noticed what James was doing.

“Reparo,” he muttered, fixing the shoelace with a wave of his wand.

“Why didn’t I think of that?” snapped James, instead of saying thank you.

“Because you’re a thick-headed git,” answered Sirius honestly.

James started angrily toward him.

“You really should be going, Prongs,” Remus reminded him, looking up from his Transfiguration book.

“Right,” said James sullenly, glaring at Sirius. “See you all later, then.”

“He’s disgustingly smitten, isn’t he?” Sirius commented after the door had shut behind James.

Remus and Peter both stared at him.

“If you’ve just figure that out,” Remus told him, “you don’t deserve to be a Marauder.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Er “ so, where do we go?” asked James awkwardly, as soon as he and Lily had climbed out of the portrait hole.

Lily raised her eyebrows at him.

“You’ve never done this before, have you?” she questioned.

“No, I haven’t,” said James tightly, resenting her patronizing tone. “Generally those of us without Prefect’s badges don’t go patrolling.”

Lily rolled her eyes.

“How you ever got to be Head Boy is beyond my comprehension,” she muttered, shaking her head in disbelief.

James felt anger rise within him.

“How I ever got stuck with you as a patrolling partner is beyond mine!” he snapped. “All I said was ‘Where do we go’ and you laid into me! Can’t you just answer a simple question without cutting me down?”

Lily looked astonished.

“I didn’t lay into you!” she said, sounding surprised. “I just answered a question with a question.”

James felt his anger subside a bit.

“Oh, well “” he began embarrassedly, when Lily added in a self-righteous voice, “I didn’t know that was some sort of crime!”

“It’s not, of course,” said James, frustrated. “That wasn’t the point “!”

“And what was the point, James Potter?” she questioned angrily. “That you’re being a git?”

“No!” snarled James. “It was that you’re being an insufferable prat!”

Lily raised herself up to her full height “ which wasn’t really all that tall.

“Don’t talk like that to me, James Potter!” she snapped angrily.

“I’ll talk whatever way I like!” James informed her. “And if you think I’m too big an idiot to learn patrol duty, you can do it by yourself! Billywig!

The portrait of the Fat Lady swung open, and he climbed back into the common room without another glance at Lily Evans' furious face.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Scenario #1:” read Jocelyn to the two boys before her, Sirius and Remus. “Lily offered to give James the night off because he hasn’t finished his homework. Probability scale, 1 to 10, with 10 being the most probable, this scenario rates “”

“Negative one-hundred billion,” Sirius interrupted flatly, and Remus nodded in dejected agreement. The three were gathered around the fire in the common room, trying to figure out exactly why James had come back from patrol duty roughly ninety seconds after he had left. Sirius and Remus couldn’t get him to say, and Peter was too busy struggling through his Muggles Studies homework to care.

“All right, that’s a 1, then,” sighed Jocelyn defeatedly, marking it down on her parchment. “Scenario #2: Lily said something crushing and James got angry and came back. Probability scale…?” She looked questioningly at the boys, who shrugged.

“7?” Remus offered finally.

“9,” Jocelyn corrected dejectedly, marking it down. “All right, Scenario #3: James said something stupid, which caused Lily to get angry and send him back inside. Probabil “”

“9.99999,” said Sirius and Remus together.

“Fair enough,” Jocelyn agreed, making the appropriate notation. “Finally, Scenario #4: Lily made a patronizing comment, James took offense and said something stupid, they both got angry and James came storming back. P“”

“Ten!” the boys said together at once, and Jocelyn nodded in agreement.

“So now what?” she asked them, staring hopelessly down at Scenario #4, which she had circled.

“Now we work on a plan,” said Sirius obviously.

“Easier said then done, Padfoot,” sighed Remus, and Jocelyn nodded in agreement.

“Whatever happens, it’ll be easy for you two,” she explained, gesturing at them. “James doesn’t need to be convinced he loves Lily, he already knows.”

“As he daily reminds us,” muttered Sirius.

“But my job is Lily, and Lily is going to be difficult to convince,” Jocelyn finished, sighing.

“Maybe we could try to convince James to like someone else,” Sirius suggested hopefully.

Remus shook his head.

“That plan’s been failing for six years,” he reminded Sirius.

Sirius was crushed, but not for long.

“Yes, but so has the plan to convince Lily,” he pointed out, trying to remain optimistic.

“No, it hasn’t,” said Remus.

“Because the only person who’s tried to convince Lily she loves James, is James,” Jocelyn explained.

“And he’s been a right failure at it,” finished Remus.

“But none of us has tried it yet,” observed Jocelyn. “So we don’t know if we’ll be better or not.”

“Okay,” said Sirius. “Let’s say we’re better at it, right? And let’s say they get together.”

“Okay,” said Jocelyn, completely lost.

“Well then what?” Sirius asked her.

Jocelyn stared at him, comprehension dawning on her face.

“Sirius,” she said slowly, frowning at him.

“What?” he asked innocently.

“You don’t want Lily and James together, do you?” she said accusingly.

“Well…” he said awkwardly.

“Sirius,” she said warningly, eyebrows raised.

“Well, no!” he admitted. “Think about it! Padfoot and Prongs will have to make way for Lily and James! No more pranks! No more raiding the kitchens! No more sneaking to Hogsmeade! It’ll be the end of an era! And they’ll be… snogging all over the place! It’ll be weird!

Jocelyn smiled at him sympathetically.

“No one said this was going to be easy, mate,” Remus reminded him. “And who knows, maybe you’ll find a girl.”

Jocelyn rolled her eyes.

“Maybe things won’t change that much,” she suggested. “I’m risking my best friend as well, you know.”

“Yes, but it’s not the same thing,” Sirius sighed. “We’ve always been the Marauders! We don’t have time for girls! We’re busy playing pranks! And that’ll all be over!”

Jocelyn patted his hand.

“You can’t spend the rest of your life playing pranks, Sirius,” she told him with a small smile.

“I know,” Sirius muttered.

“And James can’t spend the rest of his life alone,” she added.

Sirius gave a final, defeated sigh, and looked up at her.

“When do we start?” he questioned.


A/N: Review!
An Unexpected Question by trinsy
“He won’t go for it.”

“He agreed to help “”

“But he didn’t really mean it. Besides, this is crossing a line. Trust me, he won’t do it.”

“I’ve known him my whole life “”

“But I share a dormitory with him. You learn these things. He doesn’t like her. He won’t do it.”

“But this is our only shot “”

“No, it’s not.”

“It’s not?”

“No. I have a plan.”

“Really? What?”

He told her.

“Remus, that’s brilliant!”

“I know! Can you make it work?”

“I’m a Black. I can make anything work.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Quidditch practice tonight, Joce’,” James reminded her at dinner.

“I know, I know,” she replied impatiently. “But honestly James, what’s up with the night practices anyway, I can’t see a thing!”

“You’re not supposed to, that’s the point!” James insisted.

“What, you want us to play half-blind?”

“If you can play in the dark, you can play in any condition!” decreed James.

“Well, don’t blame me when I can’t see a Bludger and it goes soaring straight into your skull! Not that it’ll do much damage, your head’s so thick,” she added acidly.

“So there are advantages to being an idiot after all! Good news for you, Prongs!” said Sirius, clapping James on the back.

James glared at him.

“Excuse me for wanting to win the Cup “!”

“There are more important things in life than Quidditch,” said Jocelyn dismissively.

James gaped at her.

“If you think that, you shouldn’t be on the team!” he said severely.

“And if you don’t think that, you shouldn’t cut me,” she snapped back. “The team’s complete rubbish without me, as you bloody well know!”

“Can’t argue with that,” agreed Sirius.

“What?” James was outraged. “A team I’m on can’t be rubbish! The team’s complete rubbish without me!

“And you wonder why Lily calls you arrogant,” Jocelyn muttered, and returned to her porridge.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The first Hogsmeade weekend had been announced to be at the beginning of October, just after the full moon. Due to several conflicting interests in the form of clubs, teams, and societies, it was announced to be on Sunday this month, instead of Saturday.

“So I suggest you all get your homework done before you go,” said Professor McGonagall, glaring at all of them, particularly the Marauders, severely.

“Are you going to ask someone to go with you?” Jocelyn asked James after Quidditch practice that evening.

“Yeah,” he answered. “Sirius, Remus, and Peter.”

Jocelyn rolled her eyes.

“No, I mean a date!”

“Why, you want to go with me?” he questioned.

Jocelyn inwardly rolled her eyes again, but answered, “Oh, well, all right then.”

“As friends,” James clarified, to be sure there was no misunderstanding.

“Well yes, of course,” said Jocelyn impatiently, rolling her eyes for the third time. James really was thick. No wonder Lily wouldn’t give him a chance! Jocelyn owned to herself that she wouldn’t want to be romantically involved with a boy like James. But, of course, she wasn’t Lily. Lily ought to be; it was right. They were all doing the right thing, she told herself firmly. Now if only she could get the other half of the plan to work….

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Lily!” cried Jocelyn happily as soon as her friend came in from patrol duty that night.

“Jocelyn,” Lily acknowledged, curtly and warily.

“How was patrol duty?” Jocelyn asked.

“You know better then to ask me that, Jocelyn Black!” snapped Lily tetchily. “I’m doing it with bloody James Potter, how do you think it was?”

“Well, seeing as how I happen to be rather fond of James “” Jocelyn began.

“Oh shove off! It’s different for you! He doesn’t fancy you!”

“Oh, and if he did I wouldn’t be fond of him? Honestly Lily, James Potter has been nothing but “”

“A bigheaded, arrogant, bullying git!” Lily finished angrily.

“No he hasn’t! He’s been nothing but a gentleman!”

“What?” shrieked Lily. “A gentleman? James Potter?”

“You heard me.”

“I always suspected you were mad, but now you just proved me right! I could see if you were talking about Remus, I could even see if you were talking about Sirius Black, but James Potter?!? Are you daft?

Inwardly Jocelyn smiled. Outwardly she shrugged.

“You know what?” she told Lily. “You’re right. You are absolutely right.”

Lily blinked.

“I am?” she questioned, surprised.

“Yes,” Jocelyn said calmly. “I don’t know what I was thinking. James Potter, a gentleman! Ha! Now Sirius, that’s a gentleman! A really decent bloke, that.”

“That’s true…” Lily agreed slowly, frowning.

“Well, I’m really tired,” sighed Jocelyn. “Goodnight, Lils.”

“Goodnight,” Lily answered. She frowned, thinking about Jocelyn’s words, and it was a long time before she went to bed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Well, that was easy, eh Padfoot?” questioned James as they left Transfiguration class the Friday before Hogsmeade.

“Simplest thing I’ve ever done in my life,” said Sirius carelessly. “Turning chairs into dogs, what a stupid task, anyone could do it!”

Jocelyn snorted.

“Why were your dog’s legs all shiny?” she asked him slyly.

“They were supposed to be that way; part of his markings, and all that,” said Sirius, waving his hand impatiently. It annoyed him that Jocelyn had noticed that he hadn’t been able to transfigure the metal chair legs all the way. “I’m ready to take my N.E.W.T.s now, they’ll be a piece of cake!”

Lily rolled her eyes.

“You’re the only person here who rivals Potter in arrogance, Black,” she said nastily. “I hope you fail all of them!”

“The feeling’s mutual,” Sirius assured her in a low growl.

Jocelyn and James looked between them, clearly uncomfortable, as the four turned into the Charms corridor. Remus wasn’t there, as it was full moon. He would return to them the next morning.

“Ah, hello Peter,” James greeted as Peter came stumbling up to them. “Had a good Muggle Studies class, did you?”

“Dreadful!” squeaked Peter nervously. “I couldn’t remember a thing I’d read in the chapter on lektracey!”

“Probably because you never read the chapter,” muttered Sirius irritably. He was still angry, both at Jocelyn’s slight on his transfigured dog, and Lily’s comment.

Lily was frowning at Peter.

“What’s ‘lektracey’?” she asked curiously.

“I don’t know, that’s what I’ve been telling you!” said Peter touchily. “But it’s supposed to be really important to Muggles, at least, I think that’s what Professor “”

Ohhh, you mean electricity!” exclaimed Lily, comprehension dawning across her face. “Yeah, that is really important, Muggles use it to light up rooms, and get news, and cool their houses, and heat up food and things. I know all about that. I’ll help you with your homework tonight, if you want.”

Peter beamed at her.

“Thanks, that’d be really nice.”

James scowled, obviously wishing, for once, that he was bad at something.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Sirius sat alone in the common room that night, as James and Jocelyn were at Quidditch practice, and Peter had detention. He was bent over what appeared to be a map, and scribbling notes on a piece of parchment, when Lily came down from her dormitory. She walked up to him, her expression unreadable. He felt annoyed. Why couldn’t she leave him alone?

“Hello, Lily,” he said unenthusiastically.

Lily didn’t bother returning his greeting, but instead got right to the point.

“Sirius, d’you want to go to Hogsmeade with me?”

Sirius’s jaw dropped. What? Had Lily Evans really just asked him, Sirius Black, to go to Hogsmeade with her?

Wrong, wrong! he told himself. This is all wrong!

“Er “” he said awkwardly.

I don’t even like her! he thought. I can’t stand her!

“Er “ don’t you think this is a bit sudden, Lily?” he managed finally.

She rolled her eyes, which normally would have annoyed him, but didn’t affect him at the moment because he was so numb from shock.

“Just as friends, of course,” she said obviously.

But we’re not friends! thought Sirius desperately.

“Er “ all right, then,” he said, almost automatically. Horror immediately flooded his mind. What had he just said?

“Excellent! Meet you here Sunday, then?”

“All right,” he said again.

Lily went out the portrait hole, passing Jocelyn who was on her way in.

“Hello, Sirius,” greeted Jocelyn.

Sirius turned to her, his expression frozen in shock and horror.

“What’s up?” she questioned.

“I just agreed to go to Hogsmeade with Lily Evans,” he said numbly.

For a moment Jocelyn stared at him. Then, without warning, she burst into hysterical giggles.


A/N: Well, what do you think? Review!
The Greatest Crime by trinsy
Two days later Sirius sat nervously in the common room with James. He hadn’t told James he was going to Hogsmeade with Lily. If Jocelyn played her part well James would never have to know.

“Hello James, hello Sirius,” Jocelyn greeted, bounding down the girls’ staircase. “Ready to go?”

The boys nodded and began heading toward the portrait hole.

“Wait, I’ve forgotten something,” said Sirius suddenly, just as he and Jocelyn had planned. “You two go ahead, I’ll catch you up.”

“All right,” said Jocelyn, dragging James out the portrait hole.

“You reckon we should wait for him here?” James questioned as soon as they were out.

“No!” said Jocelyn quickly.

James frowned at her.

“I mean, no,” she laughed casually, trying to cover. “He’ll catch us up.”

“All right,” James shrugged. “We’re meeting Remus and Peter in the Three Broomsticks then?”

“That’s right,” said Jocelyn.

The two walked in silence to the entrance hall where Filch was checking everybody out.

“You know, I was thinking about our Quidditch match,” began Jocelyn, knowing this would distract James. “With Slytherin. Anyway, I’ve been watching their game and I’ve noticed a weakness with their Chasers.”

“Yes, I’ve noticed it as well,” said James, taking the bait without a second thought. “The way they aim at the goal hoops, isn’t it?”

“Yes, that’s right,” Jocelyn nodded. “D’you know any good moves for our Keeper?”

“Yes, I have one in mind,” James confirmed. “It’s a simple maneuver, but it’ll slaughter the Slytherins if the don’t fix their throws. You see…”

Jocelyn smiled quietly at her success.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Half an hour later Sirius and Lily were walking together down the same road but they were silent.

“D’you want to go to the Three Broomsticks, then?” questioned Lily as they passed the winged boars that guarded the Hogwarts gates.

“Er, no, not there,” said Sirius awkwardly. He wasn’t sure how much he could tell Lily about the situation with James. Lily seemed to understand, however, because she didn’t press the matter.

“Know anywhere where we won’t run into people?” she asked next.

“Yes, I do,” answered Sirius, relieved to finally be able to answer a question directly.

“Take me there,” she ordered.

“Your wish is my command,” he said grandly.

She laughed. Sirius smiled. It was the second Black success in one morning.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“What’s up?” he questioned as soon as they were walking along the deserted road that led away from the village.

“I want you to tell me everything you know about James Potter,” Lily informed him.

Sirius stared at her.

“Sorry?” he said, sure he had misheard.

Lily repeated her question.

“Why?” he asked suspiciously.

Lily rolled her eyes.

“If I’m going to ‘give this a shot’, as everyone keeps telling me I should do I need to know all I can about him. You’re his best mate, so you’re the one who’s going to tell me,” she explained.

Sirius frowned.

“Why not ask Jocelyn?” he wondered.

“Jocelyn’s a girl. It’s not the same,” she explained unhelpfully.

“Um… okay,” Sirius shrugged.

“So, let’s go, tell me everything,” Lily ordered. “I want your whole history, from the moment you met him.”

Sirius thought for a moment.

“If you want that,” he told her, “we’re going to have to start at my childhood. You won’t understand my relationship with James unless you first understand my relationship with everyone else.”

“Fair enough,” she nodded. “Now tell me.”

Sirius took a deep breath.

“The Blacks aren’t the nicest clan you’d want to associate with,” he began slowly. “They’re “ er “ purists is the term, I suppose. They’re not fond of people like… well, people like you.”

“Muggle-borns,” said Lily, nodding. “Continue.”

“There’s a lot of inbreeding because of that. You see, a Black doesn’t want to lower himself to marry anyone other than a Black. Well, no, that’s not true,” he added reflectively. “It’s just that the choices are pretty much limited to Blacks. We purebloods are dying out, and that’s the only kind of witch or wizard a Black is expected to marry. It’s disgusting, but they’re a warped set of people. It makes the family pretty tight-knit, and fairly large. There were dozens of cousins running around our house all the time. Our house was the base, you understand. It was the largest; it was where pretty much everyone had grown up. But in spite of, or maybe because of the fact that there were so many of us I only ever liked two of my cousins. Both were girls. The first was Andromeda. She’s a good eight years older than I am, but she was always nice to me when I was kid. She’d slip me candy, things like that.”

Sirius looked over at Lily, who was nodding slowly.

“The other, of course, was Jocelyn. Her family wasn’t like the rest of the clan. They’re not the purist type. They don’t care what kind of blood you’ve got, as long as you’re decent. Her mum and dad were kind of like parents to me when I was little. Really decent couple. And outcasts in the Black world because of it. They’re a trio of blood-traitors, you know.”

“I know,” murmured Lily.

“Well, anyway, aside from them, my family’s not what you’d call a really pleasant set to be around. I didn’t have “ what’s the phrase? Oh yeah, a great ‘home life’. My parents weren’t too fond of Andromeda “ she’s a blood-traitor too, after all “ or Uncle Alphard, Aunt Vega, and Jocelyn. They weren’t exactly popular dinner guests at our house. My parents thought they were betraying the family by mingling with the likes of Muggle-borns. I hated them for that! And my soft, idiot of a little brother, who lapped up every word they said! Regulus, the perfect son! ‘Why can’t you be more like Regulus, Sirius?’” Sirius mocked in a high-pitched voice, then deepened it to add, “‘At least Regulus shows some loyalty to his family!’ As if cursing Muggle-borns in the halls was something to be proud of!” he concluded bitterly.

“Yes, your brother’s not exactly the most pleasant bloke, is he?” Lily observed quietly.

“No,” said Sirius cynically. He couldn’t quite believe he was having this conversation with Lily Evans, the girl his best mate fancied, and his cousin Jocelyn’s best friend. He wasn’t even sure how they had gotten on this subject. “Quite the opposite.”

“How did your family feel about you becoming a Gryffindor?” she questioned after a moment.

“Well, you can imagine that went over like a wingless owl!” said Sirius sarcastically. “Got a good week’s worth of Howlers over it, you probably remember.”

“Yes, I do,” agreed Lily slowly.

“After that… well, things got worse. Going home for holidays became pure torture. Two years later Regulus came to Hogwarts, and of course he landed in the right house ““ Slytherin ““ where every self-respecting, pureblooded wizard should be.” Sirius laughed without humor. “He got himself a nice group of friends too. Narcissa ““ our cousin, though it pains me to admit it ““ looked out for him, and brought him into the circle of some other high-ranking Slytherins: Avery and Rosier are the only two I think you’d know, but there were quite a few others. Powerful purebloods who all love the Dark Arts and hate Muggle-borns. Evil gits, so naturally my parents adore them. And what do I have for friends? Two blood-traitors, and a borderline Squib. Well, you can imagine how popular they are to bring home for holidays!” He laughed bitterly.

“So your parents don’t like the Potters?” asked Lily tentatively.

“That’s putting it nicely, Lils,” Sirius informed her with a harsh smile. “They hate the Potters. They’re not related to us “ that is, I don’t think they are “ but my parents wouldn’t admit it if they were. Blood-traitors, the lot of them, which isn’t exactly something my family’s very proud of.” He stopped and turned to her suddenly. “But do you know the worst crime they’ve committed, Lily?”

Lily shook her head, frowning.

“Their son’s fallen in love with a Muggle-born,” he said quietly.

Lily stopped dead, staring at him. Her breathing was heavy, and her nostrils flared. For a moment Sirius thought she was going to attack him. Then she threw her arms around him and burst into tears.


A/N: Okay, so last time I let the whole “ten reviews for an update” thing slide, mainly because I was so excited about this chapter. However I’m not going to be so easy this time, so give me a review (and this time from ten different people ;) )! Thanks.
Of Scarlet Ink and Anger by trinsy
A/N: We interrupt our regular program for a special announcement: Okay folks, one things you need to know before we continue: Okay, I know Sirius and Jocelyn are cousins! And yes, I agree with you all that it’s totally weird for cousins to like each other. I, personally, would never like my cousin. I mean, he was like my best friend growing up. Ew! However, I’ve read stories (and actually know one couple) where cousins ended up getting married. Weird, but true. Also, Sirius and Jocelyn are third or fourth cousins, not first cousins, which is obviously less weird. Plus, remember that the pureblood families are all interrelated… so for Sirius and Jocelyn it wouldn’t be as weird as it would be for you or me. Now you can all stop asking me about it in the reviews…We now return to our regular program. Thank you.


There was quite a stir in the Great Hall the next morning when Sirius Black entered with two of the most popular girls at Hogwarts, one on each side. He casually swung himself onto the bench at the Gryffindor table and the two girls sat down beside him, Jocelyn Black on his left, Lily Evans on his right. All three began helping themselves to porridge and toast, laughing and talking, seemingly unaware they were the cause of the unusual amount of whispers being exchanged at the four long tables. It was noted, however, that the trio had chosen seats a discreet distance away from the other three Marauders, all of whom were determinedly not looking at them. Peter Pettigrew was staring at his plate and James Potter was having a very forced conversation with Remus Lupin. Twenty minutes later Sirius rose and the girls followed suit. James’s feelings momentarily overcame his resolve. He looked up at the trio and for a moment his eyes locked with Sirius’s. Then Lily tapped Sirius’s shoulder, he turned away to engage her in conversation once more, and James returned to his breakfast, though his appetite did not.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Sirius had, of course, not told James about the previous afternoon’s events. He somehow didn’t think James would be too pleased when he told him that he’d spent the entire afternoon walking down a deserted road with Lily Evans. Not that anything had happened. Well, he admitted to himself, something had happened. He had cried, that’s what had happened. He had cried in front of Lily Evans, his best mate’s long-time crush. First she had thrown her arms around him and started crying hysterically and rambling on about how her sister thought she was a freak, and her parents didn’t understand, and everyone at Hogwarts looked down on her because she was raised Muggle, and why couldn’t people look past their prejudices, and it just wasn’t fair! And he’d just held her and after she’d finished in a renewed fit of weeping he’d said softly, “I know.” And then his own vision had blurred, and the two of them had stood there, in the middle of the road, holding each other and crying.

And I’m sorry, thought Sirius angrily, but James can be as angry as he wants, because you just don’t have an experience like that with someone and then act like nothing happened! I am going to hang around Lily Evans now, and if James has a problem with it that’s his problem!

He was so angry he lost all concentration and the desk he was supposed to be levitating crashed to the floor. Several students jumped and looked around in alarm. Sirius swore. Out of the corner of his eye he could see James smirking, his desk still floating easily above his head, while he chatted lazily with Remus and Peter.

“Sirius, you have to focus,” said Lily gently.

“Oh, I’m focusing,” Sirius growled, his wand poised, ready for action.

“Yes, but you have to “ Sirius, what are you doing?” she questioned in alarm.

Sirius had pointed his wand at James’s desk, which was now tipping dangerously over James’s head.

“Sirius!” squealed Lily apprehensively.

“Sirius!” said Jocelyn warningly. “Sirius, no!”

“Just a little further,” he muttered, heedless of both girls’ pleas. The desk was continuing it’s slow angling, James sitting below it completely oblivious.

“Sirius “!”

CRASH! The desk’s contents fell three meters to the floor. Several girls screamed. Bottles exploded around the Marauders, spraying them with ink. With a sickening crack! a bottle of scarlet ink broke on James’s head, painting his face and hair bright red.

“Nice look, Prongs. Go well with your Quidditch robes, that will,” said Sirius casually. He turned and strode quickly from the room, the rest of class staring after him in shocked silence.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Sirius sat in the empty Gryffindor common room, staring at the fire. He didn’t know what had made him do it. He had had fights with James before, but never like this. That look he had given him at breakfast….

“Nothing happened!” Sirius growled angrily.

“Knock, knock,” said a voice from the portrait hole.

Sirius turned to see Jocelyn walking toward him. She smiled at him and sat down beside him.

“Look, Sirius,” she began slowly, “I’m sorry about what happened yesterday “”

“Don’t be,” he mumbled quickly.

“No, listen,” she insisted. “I don’t know what happened between you and Lily “”

“Nothing happened!” he shouted, leaping to his feet. “Why do you think something had to have happened?”

“I didn’t mean something inappropriate, Sirius,” said Jocelyn gently.

“Good, because nothing like that happened!” Sirius insisted, pacing up and down the common room. “Nothing at all! It was all very platonic, there was nothing going on “”

“I said I know, Sirius!” she said loudly.

He stopped pacing and looked at her.

“But something important did happen,” she continued softly. “I can see it between you two. Can you tell me about it?”

He sank down beside her, nodding slowly. Then he told her, carefully leaving out the part where his own cheeks had become wet.

“I understand,” she said when he was finished. “And I understand why you would want to hang around with her now. But Sirius “”

“I know, I know!” he angrily interrupted her. “James is important!”

“James is your best friend,” she said quietly. “And you can’t just stop hanging around with him. He doesn’t understand. You have to make things right with him. You have to “”

But just what he had to do, Sirius never found out. At that moment the portrait hole opened and James entered. Scarlet ink was still plastered in his hair. It looked horribly like dried blood. He stopped dead when he spotted Sirius.

“Not with your girlfriend, Padfoot?” he questioned angrily. “What happened, did she decide the Giant Squid was a better choice than a giant git?”

Before Sirius could reply James strode up the boys’ staircase and out of sight. Sirius turned back to Jocelyn, who was desperately shaking her head.

“Sirius, don’t!” she said desperately. “Go talk to him, make things right!”

“You know what?” said Sirius, looking her straight in the eye. “I just may not want to.”

And with that he climbed out of the portrait hole and out of sight.
The Challenge by trinsy
“Great plan,” Jocelyn muttered angrily “ and rather unfairly “ to Remus the next morning. “That really made James and Lily one flaming item, didn’t it?”

“If I recall, you said it was brilliant,” retorted Remus bitterly. “And you put it all into motion, so it’s just as much your fault as mine.”

“You’re lucky the full moon’s not for another month,” she snapped. “There’s still hope.”

“Not much,” he responded dubiously.

“Curse James for being so thick!” said Jocelyn viciously, as James himself entered the Great Hall. “This is all his fault!”

“Peter,” said Remus, turning to his friend, “let’s play a game. How many people d’you think Jocelyn is going to blame about this before breakfast is over? She’s already at two. I’m going with an even dozen.”

“Nine for a Galleon,” Peter replied at once.

“You have a lot of faith in her honesty,” Remus remarked.

“Oh shut up, the pair of you!” snapped Jocelyn. “You know Peter, if you had helped us this whole thing probably would have turned out a lot better.”

“That’s three,” noted Remus, tallying it on a scrap of parchment. Jocelyn snatched it away from him.

“Stop being a prat and work on a new plan!” she instructed him.

“Are you sure you want me to?” he questioned. “After all, my last one was rubbish.”

“No, your last one was brilliant,” she corrected. “It’s just that Sirius and Lily didn’t play their parts well enough. Especially Sirius! What was he thinking, telling her his whole life story like that? The idiot!”

“Two more. We’re already to five and she hasn’t even started eating yet,” Remus observed, speaking to Peter in an undertone.

“I can hear you,” Jocelyn informed him, ladling porridge into her bowl, just as Sirius entered the Great Hall.

“Morning all!” he greeted, sitting beside Jocelyn and immediately helping himself to a stack of toast.

“Where’s Lily?” Jocelyn asked him warily.

“Coming, coming, not to worry,” he assured her.

Jocelyn and Remus exchanged a look.

“Who’s worried?” she muttered.

“I am,” Peter told her honestly.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes. Peter really didn’t understand sarcasm.

“You’re what?” questioned Sirius, frowning at Peter.

“Worried,” he replied.

Jocelyn groaned and buried her face in her hands.

“About what?” asked Sirius, clearly confused.

“Muggle Studies,” said Remus quickly, kicking Peter under the table. “Aren’t you, Wormtail?”

Peter was about to reply that no, he wasn’t worried about Muggle Studies just then, he was worried about the new James-Lily-Sirius triangle, but fortunately Lily’s arrival interrupted him.

“Hello! What’s for breakfast? I’m famished!” she announced, looking around at them with a smile, and seating herself on Sirius’s other side. She helped herself to a bowlful of porridge. “Sirius, will you be my partner in Potions this morning?” she requested, smiling sweetly up at him.

“Excellent,” Sirius responded, grinning down at her.

Jocelyn turned to Remus, who shook his head apologetically.

“I’m in Ancient Runes,” he reminded her ruefully. He had never been good at Potion making, and had consequently given it up after fifth year.

“I guess that means I’m with James, then,” said Jocelyn grimly. She pushed her bowl of half-eaten porridge away and stood. “If anyone has anything to say to me, do so now,” she told them sarcastically, swinging her bag over her shoulder. “I won’t be on speaking terms with you for the next two hours.”

“Good luck with your potion, then,” said Sirius cheerfully, completely missing the point.

“Thanks,” she said coldly, and made her way over to James.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“So,” said Jocelyn uncomfortably as she stirred their potion the appropriate number of times.

“So,” echoed James coldly. He threw their shrivelfig into the cauldron.

“So “ er “ we’re… almost done,” she observed awkwardly.

“You don’t have to make conversation with me, you know,” snapped James irritably.

“I know,” she answered.

“Then stop trying!” he growled, not looking at her, but staring at something on the other side of the classroom. She followed his gaze and understood.

Sirius and Lily were carefully yet cheerfully brewing their potion, which was the perfect shade of turquoise they were supposed to achieve. They were chatting casually and seemed unaware of anyone else in the room. Jocelyn gave a wry smile. It was all she could do not to hate them as well.

“It’s done,” James announced suddenly.

“Oh, right,” said Jocelyn, tearing her eyes from her two best friends. She took the flask James handed her, labeled it, and brought it to the front desk, where it would be graded. There she met Sirius.

“You seem to be having good fun,” she noted, unable to keep a note of resentment out of her voice. Sirius, however, was oblivious.

“I am,” he answered, shrugging. “She’s a good potions partner.”

“So is James,” she told him through gritted teeth.

Sirius flinched as though she had struck him.

“Jocelyn,” he said warningly. “Stay out of it.”

Jocelyn folded her arms across her chest.

“You always say that about everything,” she said bitterly.

“I always mean it,” he growled.

Jocelyn gave a cold smile.

“And I never listen,” she told him. She went back to her table then. She didn’t have to say anything more. He had understood her words for what they were. A challenge.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Ancient Runes is “”

“Complete rubbish!” Sirius interrupted Remus irritably.

“Actually, I was going to say, ‘A much better class than Potions,’ but I suppose that fits as well,” Remus replied mildly, his mouth twitching.

“Anything is a better class than Potions,” snapped James, addressing Remus and determinedly not looking at Sirius.

Sirius opened his mouth to contradict James and remind him that nothing was worse than History of Magic, but remembered just in time that they weren’t on speaking terms and shut it again. The Marauders were in their dormitory getting ready for bed, a task that was becoming increasingly awkward as the hostility level between James and Sirius became higher.

“Anyone want to play chess?” Peter questioned, entering the room.

“I will,” said Sirius and James at the same time. They looked at each other, realized what they were doing, and quickly looked away. Sirius began fussing with his bedclothes, while James polished his already spotless glasses. Peter looked uncomfortably between them.

“All right, then,” said Remus, breaking the tense silence. He and Peter left for the common room, leaving Sirius and James alone.

After another three minutes of busying himself with his bedclothes, Sirius, realizing he had to stop eventually, stopped and looked over at James, who was polishing the left lens of his glasses for the seventh time. Sirius opened his mouth to say something when something scarlet caught his eye. James’s ink-stained robes were spilling out of his open trunk. Sirius’s face hardened. He shut his mouth, climbed into his bed, and when James finally looked over at him, he appeared to be asleep.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“I’m not speaking to you, you know,” Jocelyn informed Lily as they readied for bed.

Lily looked over at her with an expression of mild surprise.

“Why not?” she questioned.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes. Not (as one would imagine) because Lily was impossibly clueless, but rather because she had missed an excellent opportunity to say something sarcastic and witty.

“‘Why not?’” she questioned incredulously. “‘Why not?’ Because you are responsible for the falling out of the two best mates in the school! That’s ‘Why not’!”

Lily gave an irritated sigh.

“You don’t seriously believe that’s my fault!” she said exasperatedly.

Jocelyn gaped at her.

“You don’t seriously believe it’s not!” she gasped.

“Of course I do!” said Lily briskly, waving her hand with an impatient air. “How could I be responsible for it? I mean, I barely hang around with the idiots!”

“Which is why you’ve hardly left Sirius’s side for the past three days,” said Jocelyn dryly.

“Oh honestly, Jocelyn, you’re being ridiculous!” snapped Lily impatiently. “Sirius and I are friends! You’re friends with him as well! Are you responsible for his and James’s falling out?”

“Of course not, but that’s entirely different!” growled Jocelyn angrily. “I’ve been friends with Sirius my whole life! You, on the other hand, became friends with him about fifty-four hours ago! Think if you’re James: One day, out of nowhere, you look up from your toast to see your best mate walking in with the girl you fancy! What are you “”

“Oh, don’t give me the ‘Put-yourself-in-Potter’s-place’ speech!” said Lily dismissively. “Besides, Sirius and I aren’t together! We’re just friends! And if Potter jumped to conclusions “”

“Wait, what?” Jocelyn interrupted suddenly.

Lily frowned at her.

“‘What’, what?” she questioned.

“What did you just say?”

“I said ‘If Potter jumps to con “’” Lily began, but Jocelyn cut her off again.

“No, before that.”

“I said ‘Sirius and I aren’t together’,” Lily repeated slowly, her frown deepening. “Why?”

But Jocelyn was staring at Lily with something close to wonder.

“So “” she said jerkily. “So “ you’re not “ he’s not “ you’re not?!”

“No,” Lily answered, shaking her head.

Sirius had claimed that what had happened in Hogsmeade had been purely platonic, and Jocelyn had played along to pacify him, but she hadn’t really believed him. After the way he and Lily had been acting she didn’t see how she could believe him. But if what Lily said was true…. Jocelyn felt light. She wanted to scream, sing, jump up and down “

Suddenly she came to herself. She cleared her throat and tried to clear her mind.

“Well James doesn’t know that,” she said severely. “And this has been really confusing for him!”

“Well, like I said, if he can’t figure that out “” Lily tried to say for the third time.

“No!” said Jocelyn forcefully. “You don’t understand any of this! The way you and Sirius have been acting “ but this will change everything!”
Lily stared at her friend, clearly concerned.

“You have officially cracked,” she told her honestly, and got into bed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The next morning Jocelyn entered the Great Hall and walked purposely over to Remus.

“Hi,” he said, looking up from his Transfiguration book.

“Hi,” she said tensely, giving a very fake smile. She tried to move as close to his ear as possible without anyone noticing. “I need to talk to you,” she told him, without moving her lips.

He frowned at her.

“Now?”

“Yeah,” she said, her lips still frozen in an unnatural smile.

“But what about Trans “?”

“Remus,” she growled, “this is kind of important!”

“McGonagall’s not going to be happy,” he protested weakly.

“Are you going to be happy if you have to transform by yourself?” she muttered. The smile was becoming more and more frightening.

Remus got the point. With a resigned sigh he closed his book, grabbed a few pieces of toast, swung his bag over his shoulder, and followed her out of the Great Hall. She dragged him into a broom closet off the entrance hall just as the bell rang.

“What’s up?” he questioned, as soon as she had shut the door.

“Sirius and Lily aren’t together!” she told him excitedly.

He frowned at her, trying to make his eyes adjust to the darkness.

“I know,” he said.

It was so dark he didn’t see the look of shock on Jocelyn’s face. He heard it in her voice though.

“You did? How?” she demanded.

It was lucky for Remus that Jocelyn couldn’t see him smirking at her.

“How didn’t you?” he asked her, unable to keep a smug note out of his voice. “You’re a girl!

Jocelyn kicked over a bucket and gave a frustrated scream just as the door of the broom closet opened. The scream became more high-pitched in surprise when she saw who it was.

“Well, well, my sweet,” said Filch to his cat, Mrs. Norris, with an evil grin. “What have we here?”


A/N: The eight reviews rule still applies!
Notes by trinsy
“Sneaking around the corridors! Screaming in broom closets when you’re supposed to be in class! I am most seriously displeased!” said an outraged Professor McGonagall to the two students before her. Jocelyn and Remus had both been staring at the floor. However, at the mention of “sneaking around the corridors”, Jocelyn’s head snapped up.

“Professor, we weren’t sneaking around the corr “!”

“Silence Miss Black!” snapped McGonagall. “I should have expected such behavior from you! You’ve always spent too much time around Black and Potter for your own good! I would have hoped Miss Evans would have had a better influence on you, but it seems “” she stopped, her nostrils flaring, and turned on Remus. “I would have thought you, Mr. Lupin, would know better than to be hiding in broom closets during class times! You are, after all, a Prefect!”

Remus didn’t answer but continued to stare at the floor, apparently fascinated by the stonework.

“Fifteen points from Gryffindor, each!” McGonagall decreed. “And detention!”

She waved them out of her office. They walked silently towards the Charms corridor together.

Please don’t let him be angry, Jocelyn thought desperately. The last thing she needed was to be fighting with Remus. He was her last ally.

“I’m “ er “ sorry about that,” she said finally, just before the reached the classroom.

“It’s all right,” he shrugged. “I was long overdue for detention anyway. One of the disadvantages of not hanging around with Sirius and James so much.”

He smiled, but Jocelyn didn’t laugh. The joke somehow wasn’t very funny when you were looking at Sirius and James’s stony faces at opposite ends of the classroom. They were usually at the same desk, bent over a piece of parchment that had nothing to do with the class. To see them separated and taking notes was unnerving.

Jocelyn and Remus seated themselves at the empty desk between Lily and Sirius, and James and Peter. Lily tore off a corner of her parchment, scribbled something on it, handed it to Sirius and whispered something to him. He passed it to Jocelyn without looking at her. Jocelyn opened it to see a note in Lily’s neat handwriting.

Where were you in Transfiguration? ~ L.E.

Jocelyn sighed. She should have known Lily wouldn’t let that one slip. She quickly scrawled a cryptic reply.

Busy. ~ J.B.

She handed it to Sirius, who passed it to Lily. Lily opened it and gave Jocelyn an exasperated look before replying.

Well that was obvious! I meant, what were you doing?

I had to talk to Remus.

I don’t like the sound of that! About what?


Jocelyn frowned at the message and thought carefully before replying.

Certain situations in the Hogwarts population.

Seriously, Jocelyn!

I am being serious!

I heard a rumor you got caught.

Well, yes, but we only lost thirty points… and got detention.

Oh, that’s not bad at all!


Jocelyn looked up at Lily, who rolled her eyes at her. She gave a small grin.

It could have been worse. What did we miss in Transfiguration?

We’re still working on the chair-dogs. Sirius has gotten worse, though. His chair only sprouted ears and a tail.


Jocelyn looked quickly over at Sirius. He was getting worse in Transfiguration? She looked at James on Remus’s other side. Behind his stony countenance she definitely detected a glimmer of smug, self-satisfaction. Which meant that James most certainly was still quite fine in Transfiguration. More than fine, he was probably getting better. The situation was getting worse all the time. She quickly found another scrap of parchment and scribbled a note to Sirius.

What’s up in Transfiguration? ~ J.B.

Sirius shot her a hard look when he read it, then wrote a hasty reply.

I thought you weren’t speaking to me. ~ S.B.

I never said that!

I’m your cousin. You don’t have to for me to know. Besides, I’m not speaking to you.


Jocelyn gave an angry growl when she read that, and looked round at Sirius. He gave her a sorry-but-not-really kind of look, and shrugged. She angrily tore up the note and burned it with a wave of her wand.

“If this doesn’t clear up soon,” she muttered to Remus, “I’m going to go mad.”

He gave a humorless smile, and nodded.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


But things didn’t clear up soon. Two weeks after the infamous Hogsmeade weekend the Marauders were still divided. Sirius and James hadn’t spoken since the day Sirius had tipped James’s desk over. The two maintained a stony silence in each other’s presence, and it was noted by everyone that they discreetly chose seats at opposite ends of classrooms, the Gryffindor table, and the Gryffindor common room. Peter and Remus went awkwardly from one to the other, not so much trying to get them to make it up as trying to stay on friendly terms with both. Lily, of course, sided with Sirius, and either ignored or was truly unaware that she was the cause of this rift between the greatest mates of all time. Jocelyn sided with no one, but fought with everyone, except Remus, who had somehow managed to stay on her good side throughout the entire ordeal.

The biggest question in everyone’s mind (except Lily’s, and perhaps Peter’s) was what was going to happen at full moon. It was fortunate that it had occurred just a few days before that fateful Sunday as that gave them a lot of time, but it was still in two short weeks, and it didn’t look to anyone as if Sirius and James’s friendship was going to be repaired that quickly.

Sirius himself tried not to think about either the full moon or James. He had actually been rather relieved when Jocelyn gave him an excuse to fight with her as it gave him something else to focus on. Her attempts to make it up with him were unsuccessful, not because he was angry with her but because (unconsciously, anyway) he knew that if he were friends with her again he would have to think about his much more important damaged friendship: James.

Probably the most bizarre outcome of the whole situation was the three new pairs that had been developed. Before the six had been in three simple and obvious pairings: Lily and Jocelyn, James and Sirius, Remus and Peter. Now, however, they were split quite differently: Lily and Sirius, Remus and Jocelyn, and James and Peter. It was clear to everyone that these three pairings were not nearly as compatible as the old ones had been, and it was rumored throughout Hogwarts that Lily Evans had stolen her best mate’s boyfriend, though fortunately none of these whispers ever reached Lily, Jocelyn, or any of the Marauders.

All of them couldn’t help but notice, however, the teacher’s behavior toward them. Indeed, Professor McGonagall seemed unnerved that Sirius and James were no longer whispering but instead were taking notes.

“I’m glad to see you’re finally paying attention, Black!” she commended Sirius, but everyone could tell that her heart wasn’t in her compliment, and no one could blame her. The open hostility between Sirius Black and James Potter was indeed disturbing.


A/N: You know the drill: eight reviews = update!
The Black Beater by trinsy
Sirius looked up as Jocelyn entered the common room in her Quidditch robes, and quickly looked back down at his Transfiguration essay. He’d been assigned extra homework as he still hadn’t been able to transfigure his chair since the first time he’d tried with James.

Focus, Sirius! he told himself angrily. He didn’t need to be thinking about James when he was trying to do Transfiguration homework.

“What’s up?”

He looked up to see Jocelyn sitting beside him. Up close, he saw, she looked extremely tired. He wondered why he hadn’t noticed before, then realized with a twinge of guilt that he hadn’t looked at her up close for a long while. He had a momentary struggle with himself.

“Hey,” he said finally. Her worn face broke into a tired smile.

“Look, Sirius, I’m sorry about what I said in Potions. About James,” she said quickly, looking at her hands. “You’re right, I should stay out of it, it’s just “”

“It’s all right,” he said quickly, mostly because he couldn’t bear to hear any more about James.

She looked up at him, her smile broadening, but her eyes looked suspiciously shiny.

“Don’t you start crying,” he warned her, and she gave a shaky laugh. She looked down at what he was doing.

“Need any help with that essay?” she asked him.

He nodded.

“Help,” he said appreciatively, “would be fantastic!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“You could try to talk to him,” Jocelyn suggested tentatively in Transfiguration the next day. Now that she and Sirius were on speaking terms again she was anxious to smooth things over with him and James.

“No!” said Sirius stubbornly. “I didn’t do anything wrong! If he wants to make things up he knows where to find me!”

He tapped his desk, which he was supposed to be transfiguring into a pig. It sprouted a pair of pale pink pig ears and emitted a small grunt.

“I just think it must be awkward sharing a dormitory, that’s all,” noted Jocelyn, shrugging. She and Sirius both looked over at James, who was using his perfectly transfigured pig as a footrest.

“That’s his problem,” said Sirius bitterly.

Jocelyn looked up at him, and what she said next surprised him.

“There’s a war going on, Sirius,” she told him quietly. “And someday someone you love is going to die. What if, God forbid, it’s James? Who’s problem will it be then?”

“Bad luck for him, then,” said Sirius indifferently.

Jocelyn raised her eyebrows.

“Do you really think that?” she asked, her voice emotionless. “Do you think that’s what you’ll think if he’s dead?”

“He’s not dead, Jocelyn!” snapped Sirius, then added under his breath, “Unfortunately!”

He was starting to feel the old, familiar feeling of annoyance with her. He tapped his desk again and the wrought iron legs transformed into four short, spindly pig legs, which collapsed immediately.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Black, I want a word with you after practice!” James barked at Jocelyn that night.

“Big surprise,” she mumbled. She had been expecting this for over two weeks, but it didn’t make the prospect of a confrontation with James any more pleasant.

You clearly aren’t paying enough attention during the games!” said James severely after the practice. “A Bludger practically knocked out Sylvia Long! If she hadn’t ducked when she did she would have been out cold in the hospital wing for a week!”

“There are two Beaters, Potter,” Jocelyn reminded him coolly. “And I was clear across the pitch when that Bludger went after Long. Why don’t you speak to Beavis, it was his responsibility.”

You are a better Beater than Beavis, so I count on you to watch out for these things,” explained James, extremely unfairly.

Jocelyn wasn’t sure whether she should thank James or punch him in the face. She compromised by saying evenly, “I don’t have the ability to be in two places at once, Potter. And the reason I was clear across the pitch was because I was stopping the other Bludger from flying into your thick skull. However, if you’d rather I had sped across the pitch to aid Sylvia and let the other Bludger permanently imbed itself in your brain I will most certainly remember to do so at our next match. It should be rather satisfying, actually. Is that all, captain?”

“No, that’s not bloody all!” snapped James. “Tell Sirius “!”

“I’m not telling Sirius anything!” she interrupted loudly. “You share a dormitory with him, you see him every evening, tell him yourself! I won’t be the middleman in your petty squabble!”

“Petty squabble?!” gasped James indignantly. “Jocelyn, he and Lily “!”

“I KNOW WHAT HE AND LILY DID!”
bellowed Jocelyn. You don’t, because you won’t listen to him! If you can’t take the time to listen to your best mate that’s not my problem!”

She turned and began to stalk away.

“Doesn’t it bother you as well?” James questioned suddenly.

She froze.

“What?”

“Seeing them as a couple. Doesn’t it bother you to see your best mate and the person you fancy together?”

Jocelyn turned slowly, her eyes narrowed.

“Firstly, it wouldn’t bother me if they had a good reason for it,” she said, her voice deathly calm. “Secondly, they’re not a couple, so it’s irrelevant. And thirdly” “ her voice rose angrily “ “I do not fancy Sirius!”

She turned and stormed angrily away. James didn’t bother her during Quidditch practice after that. In fact, he hardly spoke to her at all. But every time Jocelyn saw him while they were practicing she would clutch her Beater’s club convulsively. It was all she could do to keep from flying straight at James and beating him with it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Seven days,” Remus anxiously reminded Jocelyn Monday morning.

“I know,” she muttered back. “I wish I could go with you.”

Inwardly she cursed herself. She really should have become an Animagus when she’d had the chance. Sirius had offered to help her. Well, she supposed there was no use fretting about it now.

“It’s not your fault,” Remus assured her. “I’m just wondering who’ll end up coming with me. Pity that Peter transforms into such a small animal,” he observed as Peter took a seat opposite them.

“Quite,” agreed Jocelyn. “Still, maybe your transformation will be what brings them together.”

“You really think so?” Remus questioned skeptically.

“No,” she admitted. “But I can dream, can’t I?”

“No, that’s rubbish! Work on a plan,” he instructed her. The only problem was, she was running out of ideas.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Transfiguration that morning was probably the worst class they had had yet. Professor McGonagall wasn’t at all pleased by their pitiful pigs.

“Mr. Potter remains the only student who has successfully transformed his desk,” she reminded the class as soon as they were settled in their seats. “Some of you have only succeeded in breaking yours,” she added severely, glaring at Sirius over her spectacles.

If looks were lethal James would have died at that instant, for Sirius sent him a glare of pure hatred. James leaned back in his chair and whistled at the ceiling.

They spent the rest of the period attempting, once again, to fully transfigure their desks, but for Sirius, at least, it was no use. He simply couldn’t concentrate. He could see James out of the corner of his eye, feet propped on his plump pig’s back, chatting lazily with the students nearest him, seemingly oblivious to all that was going on around him. Sirius knew what was making him angry wasn’t James’s excellent spell work; no, what was really making him uncomfortable was that he should have been right next to James, in a similar pose, and that James should have been chatting with him. As it was “

“Mr. Black, pay attention!” Professor McGonagall reprimanded.

Sirius jumped, and looked up to see her towering above his desk.

“Try to do the spell!” she ordered.

Sirius tapped his desk. Nothing happened. He tapped it again. Again, nothing. He tapped it a third time. A feeble grunt, but no physical change. In his peripheral vision he could see James smirking at him. He slammed his wand angrily against the desk. A corner of the desk caught fire. Sirius quickly put it out with a wave of his wand. In the corner of the room he could hear James laughing at him.


A/N: Hello my faithful readers! As you have probably noticed I have been updating fairly quickly. However, due to certain circumstances in my life (such as the fact that I actually have a life), I will be unable to update again until Monday (June 27th) at the earliest, and possibly as late as next Friday (July 1st). I tell you this because a.) I don’t want you to all think I dropped off the face of the earth, and b.) because of the longer time frame I am upping the price of an update to twelve reviews (from different people, just so we’re clear ;)). So review, and see you all next week! ~ Trinsy
Hogsmeade by trinsy
“So, I have an idea to celebrate the coming of the weekend,” Jocelyn announced to Sirius and Remus Thursday evening.

“What’s that?” asked Remus, because someone had to ask it and Sirius was in far too foul a mood (extra Transfiguration homework again) to do so.

“How about a little visit to Hogsmeade tomorrow?” she said quietly.

“Brilliant!” exclaimed Sirius, grinning for the first time in days.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


When they arrived at The Three Broomsticks Sirius at once spotted just what he was trying to avoid: James. He was by himself in a corner, reading. Sirius ignored him, ordered their drinks, and sat as far from James as possible. Jocelyn and Remus made very forced conversation but Sirius didn’t pay attention. Instead he watched James.

Stupid prat. Well, it’s not my fault he’s too thick to realize things.

James stood and exited the pub without looking at Sirius.

Yes, go, Sirius thought bitterly. Go, and see if I care. Stupid git, can’t even wait for a simple explanation! Why can’t boys talk to each other the way girls do?

He saw a jet of red light outside the window and heard a yell.

I know it’s sappy, and Prongs would probably laugh at me if he could “
A hooded figure passed the window and it registered. The jet of light, the shout….

“James!” Sirius whispered, standing abruptly, suddenly alert.

Remus and Jocelyn looked at him, startled.

“What “?”

“Sorry “?”

“James, Death Eaters, help, fight!” Sirius was rambling. Jocelyn and Remus stared at him in confusion.

“James is a Death Eater?” asked Jocelyn perplexedly and rather stupidly.

“Help who?” questioned Remus, since that seemed a more urgent and less bizarre question.

“James!” Sirius shouted impatiently.

“Do what?” Remus asked, but apparently he understood even as he asked because his eyes got very big. “Aw, no!” he whispered disbelievingly.

“Boys,” said Jocelyn, looking from one frightened face to the other, “what’s going on?”

“James is being attacked by Death Eaters,” Remus explained calmly, never taking his eyes off Sirius.

“What?” said Jocelyn, looking at Sirius as well.

Sirius gave a frustrated snarl. Didn’t they understand? His best mate was being attacked! Why were they standing around talking about it?

“We need to help him!” he growled.

That seemed to be the cue Jocelyn and Remus had been waiting for. They followed him as he rushed outside. Tall, hooded figures were emerging from every shadow. James was standing alone in the middle of the street, blocking spells.

Sirius pushed Jocelyn behind him.

“Get her out of here!” he shouted at Remus.

“I can fight!” said Jocelyn indignantly.

“No!” yelled Sirius. They looked at each other for a moment that seemed to last an eternity. “This isn’t your battle,” Sirius whispered finally. “I love you too much to make you a part of it.”

Remus’s arm was around Jocelyn’s waist, he was pulling her away from Sirius.

“Sirius,” she whispered frantically. “Sirius, I love you!”

Sirius’s eyes snapped back onto hers.

“I know,” he mouthed.

A Death Eater lunged at Remus.

“Stupefy!” Remus shouted.

Two more came out of the darkness.

“Stupefy! Stupefy!”

Remus was jerking her along, they were almost to the door of Honeydukes. Jocelyn turned for a desperate last glance at Sirius, but a circle of Death Eaters had closed in around him and James, blocking them from her sight.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Sirius and James stood back to back, their wands raised.

“What do we do now?” Sirius hissed.

“Dunno. Fight. Run. Get captured. Die,” James suggested. “Any last words, Padfoot?”

“I hate you,” Sirius muttered and lunged out at the nearest Death Eater. “Stupefy!”

The Death Eater hit the ground, but three more Death Eaters were still advancing toward him.

“Protego!” he shouted, and three spells rebounded onto their creators. Behind him he could hear James fighting off others, but he knew he couldn’t help him, there were too many. Why in the name of Merlin had he let Remus leave? Oh, it had all sounded very fine when he was talking to Jocelyn, saving her from certain wounds and almost certain death, playing the part of the hero, but now he wished he hadn’t declined her help. He was honest with himself enough to realize that he and James couldn’t hold out against the Death Eaters much longer without some kind of assistance. He fought his way over to James for an impromptu conference.

“We can’t hold out much longer,” gasped James as they passed each other, James dueling furiously with a Death Eater.

“I know,” muttered Sirius, dodging a jet of light. “We need help.”

“Good luck finding that around here,” snapped James, frustrated.

Sirius frowned. He was forgetting something, he knew. Something important. A signal? No, that would just make the Death Eaters more dangerous, everyone knew that. A maneuver, something to make him more difficult to hit? No, he’d never heard of anything like that. A spell? Probably, but there were thousands of spells, he couldn’t possibly remember them all, just like he couldn’t possibly disarm all these Death Eaters, and “

Sirius froze. James blocked the jet of red light that had been aimed at him, but Sirius didn’t even notice. Of course. How could he have been so stupid? The mass disarming spell. It was considered a mild form of Dark Magic, and consequently not taught at Hogwarts, due to the fact that it injured and/or maimed the disarmed. Sirius had learned it from his parents. He was surprised none of the Death Eaters had used it yet, but he had noticed that, ironically, many of them weren’t nearly as skilled in the Dark Arts as he was. At any rate, he ought to use it before one of them thought to.

“Get behind me, get behind me!” he shouted at James. The nice thing about James, Sirius reflected, was that he didn’t question Sirius on things like that. Whereas Jocelyn would have demanded to know why before submitting, James simply and immediately darted behind him.

“TOTRUNCO EXPELLIARMUS!” bellowed Sirius.

Whatever the Death Eaters had been expecting, they had not been expecting that. The force of the spell threw back their hoods to reveal looks of mingled shock and fear as they were thrown to the ground, their bodies contorting into painful, unnatural shapes. Over two dozen wands soared through the air, landing in a pile at Sirius’s feet.

“Incendio,” muttered Sirius, burning them with a wave of his wand.

James darted out from behind him, muttered something, then turned.

“That was bloody brilliant, Padfoot,” he said complimentarily.

“Thanks,” said Sirius modestly. “You put the Anti-Disapparation Jinx on them, then?”

James nodded.

“Excellent,” said Sirius briskly. “Remus and Jocelyn should have reached the castle by now, Dumbledore’ll be here any moment.”

“I am already here, Mr. Black,” said Dumbledore, striding into view. “Excellent work, both of you. The Ministry is on its way now and will be most pleased.”

“Thank you, Professor,” said Sirius and James together at once.

“Are either of you injured?” Dumbledore questioned.

Sirius shook his head.

“Just a small burn,” James shrugged. “Nothing serious.”

“Excellent.”

“Er “ Professor,” said Sirius awkwardly. “We “”

“I have absolutely no desire to know how you came to be in Hogsmeade, Mr. Black,” said Dumbledore, smiling. “And I am sure the Ministry will overlook your offense when they see what a fine job you did. They will, in all likelihood, wish to speak to you about it and congratulate you personally, but I am sure the party your housemates are throwing for you will be much more fun. Therefore, I suggest you make your way back to the castle if you do not wish to be detained. I will call for you in the morning.”

“Yes sir,” they said together.

The two began the long trek back to the castle. There was a rather awkward silence.

“Er “” said James, when they reached the castle gate. “Thanks.”

“Don’t mention it,” Sirius muttered, staring down at his feet.

They continued on, neither looking at the other.

“Look, James,” said Sirius abruptly. “I’m sorry about “”

“It’s all right,” James interrupted. “I’m sorry I was “”

“It’s fine,” said Sirius.

They looked at each other, both grinning.

“I hope Jocelyn and Remus thought to grab some things from Honeydukes,” said Sirius.

“Probably not,” James reasoned. “And you know what that means, don’t you Padfoot?”

“It’s time to raid the kitchens?” Sirius questioned as they slipped into the entrance hall.

James nodded, and the two headed toward the bright corridor together.


A/N: Well, they’re friends again! Twelve reviews (from different people) = update!
Mail by trinsy
‘In a truly shocking act about twenty-five Death Eaters attacked two boys in Hogsmeade yesterday. Sirius Black and James Potter, both seventh-year students at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry, managed to subdue the Death Eaters and hold them hostage until the Ministry arrived to take control. Trials will be held next week. Although they did an excellent job it remains unclear why Black and Potter were out of bounds, and we are sure Professor Dumbledore will wish to look into this event more closely….’” Lily finished the article and looked around at all of them. “Well, I notice no one invited me to Hogsmeade,” she said in mock hurt. She had forgiven all of them for their illegal spree because, as she explained to Jocelyn, “Firstly, I’ve known about you all sneaking into Hogsmeade for years, I’m not stupid, you know. Secondly, it really was a cool bit of spell work, wasn’t it? Thirdly, the boys said Professor Dumbledore didn’t seem angry, so I suppose it was all right. And fourthly, I’m really just so bloody relieved to see you all alive!”

“No one invited me, either,” added Peter, taking real offence.

“And a good thing too,” decreed James. “We wouldn’t have wanted anyone getting hurt!”

“Absolutely not!” agreed Sirius, clapping James on the back.

Jocelyn and Remus exchanged grins. Lily rolled her eyes.

“I’m sure I could handle a couple dozen Death Eaters if you can, Potter,” she said in a crushing tone, but she grinned at him to show she was joking. “And if I couldn’t you could always rescue me.” She batted her eyes at him. “Oh, James!” she squealed in a high-pitched, overly girly voice. “My hero!

Everyone laughed.

“Any time, oh lovely Lady Lily,” James replied grandly.

“No thanks,” answered Lily coolly.

“Actually, I didn’t do much,” James admitted after a moment. “It was all Sirius’s doing. If he hadn’t come when he did and disarmed all the Death Eaters…” he trailed away, unwilling to finish the sentence.

Sirius flushed.

“It was nothing,” he mumbled. “Those Death Eaters couldn’t have been too bright or very well trained to not know the mass disarming spell. That’s Dark Magic 101.”

“It frightens me that you know all this,” Lily told him frankly.

“Didn’t you listen to anything I told you about my family?” Sirius questioned. “We were Dark Arts University!”

“I know, I know,” said Lily, holding up her hands in surrender. “I’m just saying….”

The fluttering of wings suddenly filled the Great Hall.

“Mail’s here,” James announced obviously.

A black owl fluttered down next to Sirius. Sirius and Jocelyn stared at it for a moment, and then their eyes met.

“No!” Sirius whispered, paling.

“What’s up?” questioned James, looking concerned.

But Sirius didn’t answer. He had opened the letter and was reading it, his face going whiter with each line. When he reached the bottom of the letter he threw it down, swearing loudly. James picked it up and looked questioningly at Sirius, who nodded slowly. Jocelyn and James leaned together to read it.

My dearest cousin,
My master informed me early this morning of your little run-in with some of his servants. If you are feeling cocky about your victory, be warned! We are still more powerful than you could possibly imagine. Even inside your precious school with your Mudblood-loving fool of a headmaster you are not safe. Our spies are everywhere. Remember: when my master and I come for you there will be no escape. Say hello to Adhara for me.
~ Bellatrix


James swore. Jocelyn had gone as white as Sirius.

“What did she mean by ‘Say hello to Adhara for me’?” she asked shakily.

James, meanwhile, was mutilating his ham.

“This is “” he said jerkily, slashing the meat “ “all my” “ slash “ “fault!” “ slash “ “If I hadn’t” “ slash “ “been there” “ slash “ “you wouldn’t” “ slash “ “have had to” “ slash “ “fight them” “ slash “ “and no one” “ slash “ “would be in this” “ slash “ “situation!” “ slash. Remus, apparently afraid James might start attacking actual people, grabbed James’s wrist and gently removed his knife from his hand.

“Don’t be stupid!” growled Sirius. “How were you to know they were going to be there? How were any of us to know?”

Lily was looking around at all three of them, thoroughly perplexed.

“What’s going on?” she asked them.

Remus glanced down at the letter in front of James. He only had to read the signature to understand.

“Sirius got a letter from his cousin Bellatrix,” he explained.

Lily frowned.

“So?” she said. She didn’t understand what could possibly be so upsetting about getting a letter from one’s cousin.

“Didn’t you listen to anything I told you?” Sirius bellowed at her. “Bella’s not what you’d call a warm, friendly person to be around! This” “ he waved the letter in her face “ “isn’t just a nice little note to say hello!”

“It’s a threat,” Remus translated, because Lily still looked confused, “because of last night.”

“What about last night?”

Jocelyn groaned and buried her face hopelessly in her hands. James clenched his fists. He finally understood why Lily could frustrate Sirius.

“Bella’s not happy that we sent some of her murdering pals to Azkaban!” he shouted. “Is that clear enough for you?”

If the shocked expression on Lily’s face was any indication, it was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Sirius and James strolled around the grounds together after breakfast in silence. Sirius was thinking.

What were the Death Eaters doing in Hogsmeade last night? he asked himself. And why were they after James?

Sirius frowned as a thought suddenly occurred to him.

Or… were they after James?

Sirius thought back to the night before. The Death Eaters hadn’t come out of the shadows until James had gone outside. And yet…

What if it was a trap to lure me, Remus, and Jocelyn outside. They know we’re his best mates…. But then, why wouldn’t they have just attacked us as soon as we’d arrived?

Sirius’s frown deepened. He felt as though he were screwing up his whole brain in concentration.

Remus and Jocelyn made a fairly easy getaway, so they can’t have really been after either of them. It seems obvious they were after James because they attacked him. But they might have attacked him knowing I would come help him, and so it was really only to lure me outside. But why would they be after me? Actually, why would they be after either of us?

Sirius thought back to the letter he had gotten from Bellatrix that morning. It had been addressed to him and hadn’t even mentioned James, which probably meant “

“What are you going to do about Bellatrix?” asked James suddenly, interrupting Sirius’s thoughts.

“What can I do?” growled Sirius angrily. “I’m here and she’s “ well, I don’t even know where she is,” he said hopelessly.

James gave a wry smile.

“Too close for comfort, and yet too far away to take care of,” James observed. “Bit ironic, wouldn’t you say?”

“Bit ironic, yeah,” agreed Sirius.

“We’ll need to work out a plan, then,” James reasoned. “Put our heads together. You know what they say: ‘Two Marauders are better than one!’”

And that, Sirius reflected, completely forgetting about the Death Eaters, was a fact that no one could dispute.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Transfiguration class on Monday was the best class Sirius had had since he’d come to Hogwarts. He wasn’t sure what made it so wonderful. Whether it was passing notes to Jocelyn, or transfiguring his desk perfectly on the first try, or goofing off with James. Probably it was all of those things combined. Mostly, though, it was simply the feeling that everything was back to normal. Professor McGonagall smiled for the first time in weeks when she saw Sirius and James were no longer taking notes.

“Black! Potter! Pay attention!” she reprimanded them, but everyone could tell she was actually quite pleased. In fact, she was so pleased with Sirius’s pig that she gave both him and James the night off homework.

“You have quite enough to be getting on with,” she said coldly, but they both caught the twinkle in her eyes, and the reason for it.

Wow, this fighting with James stuff really pays off for you! ~ J.B.

Sirius read the note Jocelyn had passed him, then looked over at James. He had too much pride to reply. At least, not with the answer he was thinking. Which was that he liked being on speaking terms with James far too much to risk their friendship again; not even for a reprieve from homework for the rest of his life and all Outstanding N.E.W.T.s.
This is War by trinsy
“I am exhausted,” James declared at breakfast the next morning. The full moon had been the night before. “Staying up all night really does take its toll.”

“Why were you up all night?” asked Lily curiously.

“Oh, um,” said James awkwardly. He had forgotten that Lily didn’t know about Remus’s condition. “Er “ stomachache.”

“Oh,” Lily shrugged. “I thought it might have been to finish your homework.”

James froze with his fork halfway to his lips. Sirius choked on his sausage mid-swallow.

“Homework?” asked James, his voice coming out much higher than he intended, while he pounded a coughing Sirius on the back. “Did we have homework last night?”

“Just a Defense Against the Dark Arts essay,” Lily answered, “and a star chart. But you did it, of course.”

There was an awkward silence, broken only by Sirius’s hacking coughs.

“Didn’t you?” said Lily finally.

“I finished my homework after dinner,” Peter informed them.

“Lucky you,” said James sarcastically. Sirius was beginning to turn blue.

“So you didn’t do it?” questioned Lily severely. “Ohhh, you’re going to be in so much trou “”

“Not now, Lily,” James quickly cut her off. He stood, and yanked the still choking Sirius to his feet as well. “I’ve got to get Sirius to the hospital wing before he stops breathing!”

“Very well, I’ll tell Professor Venenum where you’ve gone,” Lily told him. “Where is Jocelyn?” she wondered irritably, looking around for her friend.

“No idea,” James answered as he began half-dragging, half-carrying Sirius away. “I’d love to stay and chat, Lils, really, but “”

“Yes, yes, go!” snapped Lily, waving him away.

James had just made it into the entrance hall when Jocelyn came bounding down a stairwell, nearly colliding with him.

“There you two are!” she exclaimed. “I was afraid I wasn’t going to find you in ti “ what’s the matter with Sirius?” she questioned, noticing his blue complexion.

“Oh, he’s just choking,” James answered impatiently, “and I’m just trying to get him to the hospital wing before he suffocates, but really, it can wait for whatever ‘important’ thing it is you need to tell me!”

“Oh,” Jocelyn paused. “Well I’ll come with you then and explain on the way,” she decided after a moment. She took Sirius’s other arm and began helping James drag him along. “Now last night, after you three left, I remembered that we had that Defense Against the Dark Arts essay due, and I knew you two hadn’t done it. So “”

“Yes, yes, I already know all about that,” snapped James, “and I am perfectly prepared to serve detention, and I’m sure Sirius will be too, once he’s started breathing again.”

“Would you shut up and listen to me!” Jocelyn growled. “I took those quills you two bewitched to write in your handwriting “ because you kept getting writer’s cramp, do you remember?”

James nodded.

“All right, so I took those, and wrote your essays for you,” she finished.

“Oh,” said James, surprised at her generosity. “Thank you.”

“You’re welcome,” she answered crisply. “Ah, here we are.”

She and James turned into the hospital wing.

“Oh, it’s you three again, is it?” asked Madame Pomfrey irritably when she saw them. “Well, what is it this time? Been doing something dangerous again, I suppose.”

“Er, no, Sirius just choked on some sausage,” James told her, suddenly feeling very stupid.

“Well, at least it wasn’t another one of those stray curses he always seems to be getting hit with,” said Madame Pomfrey. “Let’s take a look at him.”

Five minutes later James, Jocelyn, and a now breathing Sirius walked into the third floor classroom they had Defense Against the Dark Arts in.

“Black!” snapped Professor Venenum as soon as they’d entered the room.

Sirius and Jocelyn stopped, looked at the Professor, and then at each other.

“You,” snarled Professor Venenum, pointing at Jocelyn, “are late! Explain yourself!”

“I had to take Sirius to the hospital wing,” said Jocelyn slowly.

“I was under the impression Mr. Potter was taking care of that,” said the Professor coldly.

“Well I was Professor,” James jumped in quickly. “But I needed help, because “”

“I am not interested in your excuses, Mr. Potter,” said Professor Venenum icily. “Ten points from Gryffindor for each of you, and detention for Miss Black.”

“But Professor “” Sirius began.

“For you as well, Mr. Black, for questioning me,” snarled Professor Venenum.

“Professor, that’s not “” James started to protest.

“And you, Mr. Potter!”

“But you can’t do that, Professor,” cried Lily, surprising everyone, including herself. Everyone stared at her. Professor Venenum’s cold eyes turned onto her. The whole class seemed to hold its breath.

“Perhaps you would like to serve detention with your classmates, Miss Evans?” Professor Venenum asked her, his voice quiet and deadly.

“You can’t give detentions to any of us, we haven’t done anything,” Lily told him firmly, “and the school rules clearly state that teachers can’t give detentions unless “”

“I will give detentions when and to whom I please, Miss Evans,” the Professor informed her. “And you will join your classmates in the Potions corridor at eight o’clock tonight!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“I’ve never gotten detention in my life!” Lily complained, as she, Jocelyn, Sirius, and James made their way down to the dungeons that evening.

“Cheer up, at least you’ve got company,” Sirius comforted. “The first time I got detention it was alone, and it was rather boring.”

“But I’m Head Girl,” Lily wailed. “This is really embarrassing.”

“I’m Head Boy, and this is the fifth time I’ve got it,” James reminded her.

“Don’t take this the wrong way, James, but that’s not exactly surprising,” Lily told him sarcastically.

“She’s got a point, you know,” Jocelyn noted.

“You know, the problem with you girls is that you’re always so negative!” James declared. “Why don’t you look on the bright side for a change?”

“James, we have detention,” said Lily. “What could possibly be bright in that?”

“Well, it’s not with Filch, for starters,” James noted.

“Yeah, we could be polishing the trophy room,” said Sirius, making a face. “That was the worst detention I’ve ever had!”

“Yeah, instead we’re with Venenum, and he’s not so bad,” James said cheerfully. “He’ll just make us pickle toad brains or something.”

Lily shuddered.

“I’d rather polish the trophies,” she muttered.

“You don’t mean that!” said Sirius in a horrified voice.

“I hate touching dead things,” Lily reminded him.

“Oh, yeah, you do, don’t you?” Sirius remembered glumly. “Okay, bad example.”

“Maybe he’ll just give us lines,” suggested Jocelyn hopefully.

Lily gave her a look.

“What?” Jocelyn asked.

“Oh, forgive me for not jumping for joy,” snapped Lily sarcastically.

“Detention is not meant to be a joyful experience,” James pointed out.

“Detention is not meant to be given to Head Girls who have homework to finish,” Lily retorted.

You have homework to finish?” questioned Jocelyn incredulously. “Due when, next April?”

“Ha ha,” replied Lily dryly as they turned into the Potions corridor.

Professor Venenum did indeed make them pickle toad brains, just as James had predicted. Lily began with a very pinched expression on her face, and ended half-an-hour later by being violently sick in Venenum’s cauldron. The disgusted Professor instructed James to take her to the hospital wing, telling him they were both done for the night, which was lucky, as they both had patrol duty at nine. Jocelyn and Sirius were dismissed a quarter after ten. They were walking back to the common room, laughing about the look on Professor Venenum’s face when Lily had vomited into his top-of-the-line cauldron, when they came upon Narcissa.

“What’s she doing out at this hour?” Sirius questioned in an undertone. Before Jocelyn could answer, Narcissa spoke.

“Well, well, look what we have here: Sirius and Adhara, the two Blacks of Canis Majoris,” she sneered.

“Aw, Narcissa, I thought you failed Astronomy,” said Jocelyn sweetly. Canis Majoris was the constellation that contained Sirius and Adhara, the two stars Sirius and Jocelyn had been named after.

Narcissa didn’t even flinch.

“It’s so appropriate really,” she continued, as if she hadn’t even heard. “The two dogs of the family.”

Sirius’s reaction was almost imperceptible.

“I believe the term you’re looking for is ‘sheep’, isn’t it Narcissa?” he growled. “‘Black sheep.’”

Narcissa smiled sourly.

“How amusing,” she said smoothly. “But dog really is more appropriate, isn’t it? Especially for you, Sirius.”

Sirius gritted his teeth.

“Is there a reason you’re talking to us, Narcissa,” he growled.

“I have a message for you, from my sister,” she said, boredly examining her nails.

“Andromeda?” asked Sirius eagerly.

“Bella,” Narcissa smiled. “She says to watch your back. Next time you won’t be so lucky.”

“Next time we won’t be so lucky!” scoffed Sirius. “If she’d been there that night she’d be with her mad cronies, sharing a nice cup of tea with the dementors in Azkaban! Tell her to watch her own back, or that’s just where she’ll find herself!”

Narcissa raised her eyebrows. She seemed to be enjoying herself.

“Is that a threat, Sirius?” she asked him, with the hint of an amused smile.

“Yes, it’s a bloody “!” Sirius began angrily, but Jocelyn cut him off.

“Sirius, no!” she said warningly.

Sirius looked at her, and in the moment their eyes locked he hesitated.

“Yes, that’s right Sirius,” said Narcissa softly. “If you don’t care about yourself, at least think of Adhara… and her family. They’re not as respected as yours.”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” asked Jocelyn sharply.

“Merely that the Dark Lord has “ how should I say it? Ah yes, little patience with blood-traitors like your parents, Adhara,” said Narcissa smoothly.

“You leave her parents out of this!” Sirius shouted.

“Oh, but I’m afraid that’s not possible, Sirius,” said Narcissa in mock distress. “They’re already in it. Much more than you realize. I’ll give Bella your message. See you later.” And with that she was gone.

Sirius and Jocelyn looked at each other for a long time.

“What did she mean by that?” Jocelyn finally asked shakily.

“She meant this is serious,” Sirius answered. “She meant “ this is war.”


A/N: Just to give you all a heads up, the next few chapters are going to be kind of dark and angsty.
Bellatrix's Revenge by trinsy
Professor Dumbledore had not called for Sirius and James “in the morning” as he had promised them Friday evening in Hogsmeade, nor did they see him at meals. Professor McGonagall informed them that he had been called away by the Ministry on urgent business, and when James attempted to question her further, she said coldly, “That is the Headmaster’s business, Mr. Potter,” and refused to tell him anything else. Sirius in particular was bitterly disappointed at Dumbledore’s absence, as there were nearly two dozen questions he wished he had thought to ask Dumbledore when they had first met him in Hogsmeade, the first one being why had the Death Eaters attacked James in the first place?

There was one question he would not have thought to ask in Hogsmeade, and he was not even sure he would ask Dumbledore when the headmaster finally returned. That particular question regarded the two threats he had received from Bellatrix less than seventy-two hours apart. Sirius and Jocelyn had not told the others about their meeting with Narcissa. Sirius wasn’t even sure why, except that he really didn’t think he could bear to make James feel guiltier than he already did, or to see Lily’s horrified expression.

Jocelyn, meanwhile, seemed to be in a state of dull shock. She still went to classes and took notes, still got excellent marks on her homework, was still the best player on the Gryffindor Quidditch team, but she laughed less now (and when she did, it usually seemed very forced), and the usual sparkle in her eyes had vanished. Sirius caught her anxiously scanning the mail owls every morning, as though she were expecting a letter containing very bad news and couldn’t decide whether or not she actually wanted it to come.

Only the excitement of the first Quidditch match of the season was finally able to take their minds off the Death Eaters. Gryffindor flattened Slytherin, 260 to 30, due mainly to the maneuver James had taught the Gryffindor Keeper, which kept the Slytherins from scoring.

“Best match we’ve played since I’ve been here,” declared James at breakfast the next morning, just as the mail began arriving. He, Sirius, Jocelyn, Lily, Remus, and Peter were eating breakfast together in the Great Hall, and discussing the Quidditch match. For once, Jocelyn wasn’t paying attention to the mail. “If we keep playing like that we’ve got the cup in the bag.”

“Can’t argue with that,” agreed Sirius, taking no notice of the brown owl that had fluttered down next to Jocelyn. “The whole team was brilliant! And Slytherin kept throwing the Quaffle the same way, even though that was clearly what the Keeper needed them to do in order to block it. Brilliant!” he declared again. He looked up to grin at Jocelyn, who was across from him, but she wasn’t paying attention. “What’s up with you, Joce’?” he asked her, noticing how pale she had become.

“This,” she said dully, waving a scrap of parchment at him.

He shrugged.

“What is it?”

“It’s a letter from my father,” she told him. “He writes” “ she swallowed, hard “ “he writes that my mother was attacked by Death Eaters last night.”

Sirius slowly lowered his fork. No, not Aunt Vega, no, it couldn’t be.

It’s not necessarily what you think, he told himself. She was just badly injured. She’ll be in St. Mungo’s for a few weeks, maybe a month. But she’s alive, she has to be alive!

Jocelyn wasn’t saying anything. She seemed numb, her expression was blank. Finally Sirius couldn’t stand it any longer.

“And?” he prompted, though he dreaded the answer.

“And that I should come home as soon as possible for the funeral,” she whispered, and burst into tears.

Sirius abruptly stood. So this was Bella’s revenge. She’d hit him where she’d known it would hurt most. She’d hurt Jocelyn.

“I’ll kill her,” he growled. “I’ll kill with my bare hands!”

“Sirius, no “” Jocelyn began, standing as well, wiping away her tears as she followed him out of the Great Hall.

No? How can you say ‘no’? She murdered your mum!” Sirius shouted, his voice echoing off the stonewalls of the entrance hall. Inside the Great Hall everyone had become very quiet, staring at the door Sirius and Jocelyn had disappeared through, but Sirius didn’t care. He didn’t care if all of England knew what scum his cousin Bella was.

“We don’t know it was her “” Jocelyn tried again.

“Of course it was her!” said Sirius flatly. “She’s twisted, evil!”

“You-Know-Who’s evil “”

“Just say ‘Voldemort’!” Sirius bellowed as they burst out of the front doors and onto the lawn. Inside the Great Hall everyone flinched. Jocelyn did too, and it angered Sirius more. “Of course he’s evil, but she was the one who suggested it to him, and I’ll kill her for it!”

“Sirius, why would you think “?”

“Because James and I just sent some of her pals to Azkaban. So she decided to hit us where it hurt!”

“Sirius, think about what you’re saying,” said Jocelyn, adopting a reasoning tone of voice. “Bella’s only twenty-six, how could she possibly be high up enough to get You-Know “” she stopped at the look on Sirius’s face “ “all right, V-Voldemort to attack “”

“Bella always knew how to manipulate people, Jocelyn!” Sirius snapped. “You know that as well as I do! And, in case you don’t remember, in that letter she sent us after the attack she said ‘her master’ informed her! That’s Voldemort himself! She’s high up, Joce’!”

Jocelyn was silent.

“I know it was Bella, Jocelyn,” said Sirius firmly. “And I swear to Merlin, I’m going to kill her because of it!”

“And what if she kills you?” Jocelyn snapped suddenly.

Sirius stopped walking and stared at her.

“What?”

“What if you’re the one who ends up dead?” she questioned. “You’re all I have left, what am I supposed to do then?”

Sirius stood contemplating his cousin. Finally he said, “I can’t let your fear allow her to do this to anyone. It’s not right.”

He turned and started walking again, but she didn’t follow him.

“Sirius, I love you!” she shouted at him.

He stopped abruptly.

She what?

He and Jocelyn hadn’t talked about the words they’d exchanged that night in Hogsmeade. Sirius assumed it had simply come out of the trauma of the moment. But now…

He slowly turned back around.

It’s not what you think, he told himself. You’re like her brother, it doesn’t mean what you think.

“What did you say?” he whispered.

“I said I love you,” she repeated. “And, I’m sorry, but I won’t let you throw away your life on Bellatrix Lestrange!”

I was right, he thought sadly. That’s just the mother in her, it wasn’t what I thought.

“If someone doesn’t stop her she’ll come after your father,” he told her, “and then she’ll come after me, and then she’ll “”

“So is that any reason to go find her, Sirius, make it that much easier for her?”

“If she’s going to kill me I’d rather have it be on my terms!”

“You don’t have to be killed!”

“And, what? You want me to live the rest of my life in hiding, afraid of my filthy excuse for a cousin? No!” Sirius shouted.

“I want you to be alive, Sirius!” Jocelyn cried. “I don’t care what else happens as long as you’re alive!”

Sirius shook his head.

“I can’t run,” he said quietly. “Not even for you.”

“Then you do not love me,” she whispered.

Something inside Sirius snapped.

“Love?” he shouted. “You don’t know the meaning of love! I’d die for you, isn’t that love?”

“Love isn’t being stupid, Sirius,” Jocelyn whispered, and turned and strode back up the lawn, into the castle, before Sirius could even think of a reply.


A/N: Review! {And in case you’re wondering, yes, it actually was what Sirius originally thought}
Patrolling with Prongs by trinsy
Lily and James had patrol duty that evening, as they did every evening. Things had gotten better between them since the day Sirius and James had been attacked in Hogsmeade. They didn’t fight as often as they once had, but instead chatted amicably about anything and everything. At first it had been about classes: which were boring, which were interesting, who were the best teachers, which classes they might actually use in life, etc. Of course, this subject got old after a couple of days (there was only so much you could say about History of Magic and how boring Professor Binns was, after all), so they moved on to talking about the people at Hogwarts: who was the smartest, whether Kimberly Rae really deserved to be the Hufflepuff prefect or did James think that position should have gone to Kelsey Andrews, were all the Slytherins really evil, were the Ravenclaws really the smartest, and didn’t Lily agree that the Hufflepuffs had more redeeming qualities than the Slytherins. While these subjects could never really be exhausted, they got boring after about a week, and it was then that the conversations became more personal.

It started just like most nights. The subject eventually turned to the Slytherins, and whether or not they might have redeeming qualities. Lily insisted they did, while James was convinced they didn’t.

“None of the Slytherins I’ve ever known have had any redeeming qualities,” he insisted as they headed up the Charms corridor.

“That’s because you’re too busy cursing them to get to know them well enough to find out,” Lily retorted.

“Well I don’t see you inviting any of them over for tea,” James rejoined, stung. “Besides, the only reason I attack them is because they attack me first!”

“Really?” Lily challenged, her voice dripping with sarcasm. “Really?”

“Well, besides Snape, of course,” James admitted impatiently, reddening. “But that’s entirely different!”

“What Slytherins, besides Snape, have ever attacked you?” Lily demanded.

“Hm, let’s think,” said James sarcastically, counting off on his fingers, “Avery, Rosier, Narcissa Black, Regulus Black…” he paused, looking at her. “Shall I go on?”

Lily didn’t answer. She was frowning at him.

“The Blacks attack you?” she questioned, sounding surprised.

“Yeah,” James shrugged. “Of course.”

“But “” Lily was frowning, evidently trying to make sense of what she was being told. “But you’re Sirius’s best mate.”

“Yeah,” agreed James, looking at her as though she was mad. “That’s why.”

“But he’s their cousin!” said Lily, sounding shocked.

James sighed. He knew all about the conversation Lily and Sirius had had in Hogsmeade that day, and he consequently couldn’t understand why she didn’t understand about Bella, Narcissa, and Regulus. Hadn’t she listened to anything Sirius had told her? Didn’t she understand about Bella after the letter she’d written Sirius?

“Sirius is a blood-traitor,” he explained. “Just like I am. And my family. That’s why we’re not very popular with the Slytherin set.”

“Yes, but he’s still their family!” Lily pointed out.

“Which makes it all the worse, doesn’t it? I mean, someone you don’t know is one thing “ it’s maddening “ but when it’s your family it’s, well, personal. It’s unforgivable.”

Lily nodded slowly at the floor.

“I guess it’s kind of like my sister and the whole ‘I’m a witch’ thing,” she said with a wry smile. “It’s like it’d be one thing if I was some other girl from across the street “ you know, if I was that girl I’d be weird. But since I’m her sister I’m now a total freak.” She looked up at him, and their eyes locked. “‘Freak’ is the only thing I’ve heard since I got my letter,” she told him quietly.

He smiled down at her, but he looked very serious.

“I don’t think you’re a freak, Lily Evans,” he told her honestly, and for once he didn’t sound like arrogant James Potter, but instead like the wonderful, kindhearted guy Jocelyn had always said he was.

It had been a small moment, but it had mattered. From that time forward, they felt safe around each other. They talked about their respective childhoods. Lily told James all about her sister Petunia’s boyfriend, Vernon “ “Looks like a pig with a mustache, if you ask me!” “ and had him rolling in the corridors with laughter when she mimicked him eating breakfast. James told Lily stories about pranks the Marauders had played, and holidays with Sirius, and instead of being disapproving, Lily would actually laugh.

Tonight, however, James was silent as they went up and down the corridors together.

“Hey,” said Lily quietly as they climbed the stairs the third floor. “You okay?”

James shook his head.

“I just can’t believe she’s gone,” he said dully.

“Jocelyn’s mum?” Lily questioned unnecessarily.

James nodded.

“You knew her?” she asked.

“I used to visit her on holidays sometimes,” James explained. “Really nice woman. Good cook too.” He laughed without humor. “Really decent people, the Alphard Blacks. You ever meet them?”

“Only at the train station sometimes,” Lily shrugged. “She was nice, though. Jocelyn’s mum, I mean.”

For a while they were silent again. Then James spoke.

“You know, Vega “ Jocelyn’s mum “ was an Auror. Really great witch. Jocelyn received more information about the attack this afternoon, did you hear?”

Lily shook her head.

“She took out three of Voldemort’s best before they managed to kill her,” James told her. “Yeah, she was a great witch.”

Silence, except for their steady footfalls echoing along the stone passageway.

“You know, I think what’s making me so upset isn’t really that I was very close to Vega,” James said abruptly. “I think it’s the fact that even with all her magical talent and Auror training they still managed to kill her. You know my” “ his voice cracked, and he cleared his throat “ “my parents are old. Really good at magic, but old. But somehow I always used to think that if they got attacked, they “ they could fight them off, that they could survive. But now” “ he swallowed, hard “ “now I’m not so sure. I mean, if they could get Vega…. You don’t understand, you never really met her, but she was good, Lils! One of the best witches in the Auror office. And my parents are good, but nothing like Vega, and if they could kill her….” There was a pause while he tried to surreptitiously wipe the tears from his eyes. “It’s just hard,” he said finally, looking up at her, “when I think that I could get a letter tomorrow telling me I’ll never see them again.”

Lily nodded slowly.

“When I was a kid my cousin Jessica was one of my really good mates,” she said quietly. “We didn’t see each other often, but we used to write each other every week. The summer we were eight she came to visit me, and we had a glorious week together. I went with my parents to drop her off at the train station, and waved her train off, with her promises to visit the next summer ringing in my ears.” Lily gave a sad smile, and her voice suddenly became much harder. “Her parents called us that night. The train had derailed; everyone in Jessica’s carriage was dead.
“I didn’t want to believe it. For a year afterward I would rush to the mail slot every time something was pushed through it, looking for a letter that would never come.” She gave a hollow laugh. “My head knew she was dead, but my heart wouldn’t accept it. It wasn’t until she didn’t come the next summer that I finally understood that she would never write to me again.”

“And “ and how did you deal with that?” James asked jerkily.

Lily looked up at him.

“I believed,” she said quietly, “that there was a reason for it, even if I couldn’t see it. That’s the only way to cope with that sort of thing, you know. And I appreciated life more. I owed Jessica that.”

There was silence for a moment.

“Vega did a very noble thing, James,” said Lily softly. “She died fighting for what she believed in. I’m sure your parents would do the same. I know I would.”

James looked up from the floor, and their eyes locked.

“So would I,” he said quietly and, without realizing it, started to cry.


A/N: Okay, so it’s not exactly romantic, but it’s a start…. Review!
Alphard Black by trinsy
Sirius, Jocelyn, James, Lily, Remus, and Peter left Hogwarts to attend Vega Black’s funeral the next day. Sirius and Jocelyn didn’t talk about the scene out on the grounds the day before. It was as though it had never happened; as though Sirius hadn’t threatened to kill Bellatrix or told Jocelyn he’d die for her, and Jocelyn hadn’t told Sirius he was stupid or that she loved him. James and Lily didn’t talk about their moment together either. James was trying very hard to pretend he hadn’t cried, and Lily knew it was best to let him.

They boarded the Knight Bus after breakfast, and were soon zooming around the countryside at breakneck speed. Peter kept getting bored and trying to talk to Sirius, whom he was closest to. Sirius wished he wouldn’t, because he felt as though he were about to be violently sick. He wasn’t sure which was making him feel worse: getting thrown around by the violent movement of the triple-decker bus, or the reason he was on the stupid thing in the first place.

Vega Black had been his favorite aunt. Sirius had looked upon her almost as a mother, since his own mother seemed completely devoid of maternal feelings (for Sirius, at least). When Sirius had run away from home the summer after fifth year, his first instinct had been to go straight to Jocelyn’s, where he knew Aunt Vega would welcome him with open arms. But as it had happened, Jocelyn’s family was on holiday in France, and so he had wound up at James’s instead. Sirius thought back to that day. It was the last time he’d ridden the Knight Bus. He remembered it as though it had been yesterday.

He had been home for merely a week when the storm hit. His mother had been fawning over Regulus, as usual, complementing him on his excellent marks, and generally being sickening.

“And next year, when the letter comes, I think we know who’ll be the new Slytherin Prefect,” she cooed, shooting a nasty look at Sirius.

Something inside Sirius had snapped.

“Yeah, Reg, that’ll be great,” he said loudly. “Give you even more opportunity to curse all those Muggle-borns.”

Regulus had flushed, but his mother’s face turned ugly.

“At least Regulus shows a little loyalty to his bloodline,” she snarled. “That’s more than can be said for you!”

“Yeah, that’s right,” Sirius shouted wildly. “The embarrassing family blood-traitor, that’s me!”

Mrs. Black looked as though she were about to explode.

“You have been the bane of my existence since you were born, boy!” she growled. “All we’ve had with you is problems! Problems with you at school, problems with your beliefs, problems with “!”

But exactly what other problems his mother had with him, Sirius didn’t wait around to find out.

“You know what?” he interrupted her loudly. “I’m going to fix all those problems for you. I’m leaving!”

“You can’t do that!” his mother shrieked in alarm.

Sirius had smiled coolly, acting much braver than he felt.

“I think I’ll try anyway,” he told her placidly. In five minutes time he’d had his things packed and was heading out the front door. The last glimpse he’d gotten of his mother was of her cursing his name off the tapestry of the family tree.

Once out on the streets he’d turned right, intending to walk the few blocks to Jocelyn’s. But then he’d remembered with a jolt that she was on holiday in France, and would not return for another six weeks. And that was how he’d ended up stumbling out of the Knight Bus onto James’s front porch. James had answered the door, taken one look at Sirius, standing there with all of his worldly belongings, and then his face had broken into a grin.

“Family troubles, Padfoot?”

Sirius had lived with the Potters ever since. As he was thrown against Peter for the hundredth time, Sirius reflected how much better that last trip had been. He’d been riding to freedom then. Now he was riding to death. As horrible as this ride was, Sirius wasn’t sure he wanted it to end. He didn’t think he could bear what was waiting for him at the end of it.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Alphard Black had been in his mid-fifties when he married Vega McKinnon, a very pretty witch in her early thirties. He had aged very well. A man thirty years younger might have looked older and been in worse physical condition. When Sirius greeted him after climbing off the Knight Bus however, he looked every bit his seventy-one years. His hair, which three months earlier had been a distinguished salt-and-pepper (lighter on salt), was now almost completely white; his once finely chiseled face seemed to suddenly consist of nothing but saggy wrinkles, and there was a definite stoop in his shoulders that Sirius had never noticed before.

“Well, young Sirius,” he said, his voice coming out in a thin, raspy quaver that was so unlike his former, commanding tone. “Good to see you.”

Sirius, not knowing if he ought to look happy or sad about this meeting, and unsure if he was supposed to say something like, “So kind of you to let us stay,” or something comforting, compromised by looking extremely sick and nodding slightly as his uncle grasped his shoulder.

Jocelyn was the last to come off the bus, and Sirius saw at once that she and her father needed privacy. He therefore herded James, Remus, Peter, and Lily up into the house, leaving Jocelyn and her father out in the garden to grieve together in peace.

“This is dead depressing,” Lily moaned, flopping onto one of the squashy sofas in the sitting room. “I’ve never felt worse in my whole life.”

“Yeah, and that Knight Bus didn’t exactly help things,” groaned James, flopping onto the other one, his face looking rather green.

“Isn’t it time for tea yet?” questioned Peter, examining the small clock on the mantel, which at the moment had its only hand pointing rather unhelpfully, in Sirius’s opinion, to the words You’re Late. “I’m starving.”

He, James, Lily, and Remus all looked expectantly at Sirius, as though waiting for him to do something.

“Er “ right,” he said awkwardly. “I’ll go see what I can find.”

He wandered boredly across the hall, pulled open the kitchen door “ and froze, horrified by the sight that met his eyes.

The room was in ruins. The two windows in front of the sink had been shattered; a cold wind was blowing through them, whipping at the shredded remains of the curtains. Smashed cups and cracked plates littered the floor. Cupboard doors had been ripped off, or were hanging from one hinge in splinters. Worst of all were the fiery letters that seemed to be written on everything: WARNING! UNDER MINISTRY SURVEILLANCE. DO NOT TOUCH! It was all too much for Sirius. Fighting the impulse to scream, he backed slowly out of the kitchen. Then he turned and ran, past Lily and the Marauders, (“Where are you going?” “Did you get that tea?”); past Jocelyn and her father, sitting together on a garden bench; past the group of Muggles walking down Jocelyn’s street; past a row of shops a few blocks over; past a lone Muggle waiting at a bus stop. He ran until his legs refused to run any longer, and when he finally stopped, he did not know where he was.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Lily Evans had never been in a wizard house before. Jocelyn was always promising to invite her during the summer holidays, but these plans were always being delayed due to Alphard and Vega’s fondness for holidaying abroad.

“Sorry Lils, next summer, I promise!” were always Jocelyn’s parting words as her parents ushered her from King’s Cross station.

Not that Lily hadn’t received other invitations to wizarding households; James Potter owled her invitations to his house at least once a week. But even with Petunia making everyone miserable, Lily didn’t think she’d ever be that desperate.

“Is that a letter from one of your school friends, dear?” her mother would ask over Petunia’s screeches that owls were “unsanitary”, and should not be allowed to swoop into houses, dropping letters on people’s heads during breakfast.

“No,” Lily would answer flatly, and that would be the end of it until the owl returned a week later.

So this was the first time Lily had ever been in a wizarding home, but she found she could not enjoy the experience properly. She had never felt more awkward in her life. She didn’t blame Sirius for running out; she had been fighting the instinct to bolt from the moment she’d stepped through the doorway. All the same, she wished he hadn’t, because she would have felt a lot more comfortable if he had been there.

“Anyone want to play chess?” Peter suggested tentatively. He had evidently given up on the idea of tea.

Lily opened her mouth to accept when she caught the expressions on James and Remus’s faces. They were both looking coldly at Peter, as though they didn’t think this was the moment for chess. Lily quickly shut her mouth again, just as her stomach gave a low rumble. She wanted to go see if she could find something to eat, but had gotten the impression from Sirius that there was something horrible in the kitchen, and therefore was not sure she actually wanted to go into it. She was beginning to suspect that that might have been where Vega was when she’d been attacked. Lily had finally decided to go lie down in her room, when she realized she didn’t know where her room was.

“You’ll be staying in the room next to Jocelyn’s. Up the stairs, second door on your left,” James directed her when she asked.

And so Lily found herself in a very neat, lavender bedroom, lying boredly on the comfortable bed. She had never been so depressed in her life.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The funeral was held the next day. Lily had never been to anything more depressing. Wizarding families from all over the country came to give their (in Lily’s opinion, useless) condolences. Even Professor Dumbledore had come. Lily met the families of several of her schoolmates she knew by sight, but had never spoken to. The McKinnons had all come, of course. Lily spotted Alice McKinnon, a round-faced, very pleasant Gryffindor sixth-year prefect, with her boyfriend, a seventh-year Ravenclaw prefect, Frank Longbottom. Lily recognized Fabian Prewett, who had been Head Boy the year before. Sirius pointed out Fabian’s sister, Molly, who was there with her husband, Arthur Weasley, and their two small sons, Bill and Charlie. Sirius also introduced her to his cousin Andromeda, her husband, Ted Tonks, and daughter, Nymphadora.

Jocelyn didn’t introduce her to anyone, but Lily wasn’t offended. Jocelyn hadn’t spoken to any of them since they had boarded the Knight Bus the day before. She sat throughout the entire service staring straight ahead, her expression blank. Her father sat beside her, hunched over in his chair, his face in his hands. Lily couldn’t recall ever seeing anything sadder. As the service ended and Alphard Black hobbled to his feet, Lily reflected that he looked ready to collapse. Which is perhaps why it should not have been such a great shock to her when, a moment later, he did so.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Sirius sat miserably in the waiting room of St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. People surrounded him, but none of them were speaking to him. There had been an instant uproar when Alphard had collapsed. Jocelyn had screamed, several people had gasped, and Alice McKinnon had burst into tears. Then there had been a few minutes of general pandemonium as everybody began suggesting what to do at the same time. Andromeda Tonks and Molly Weasley got into a very nasty argument over whether or not he ought to be moved, and were only silenced when Dumbledore had made several loud firecrackers shoot out the end of his wand (which Andromeda muttered was very bad for Alphard in his current condition). Sirius wasn’t sure what had happened after that, because Dumbledore had forced all of the younger witches and wizards out of the room. And so he, the other Marauders, Jocelyn, Lily, Frank, Alice, and Fabian sat together in a miserable silence until they were called for and sent to St. Mungo’s half-an-hour later.

Sirius was now seated next to Jocelyn in a hard-backed chair, hearing, but not actually listening to the buzz of half a dozen conversations (Lily, the other Marauders, Alice, Frank, and Fabian had all gone off in search of tea). Andromeda and Molly were still arguing in low hisses, while Arthur was excitedly questioning Ted (whom he’d discovered was Muggle-born) about escalators. Dumbledore was conversing in low tones with two of the Healers. At long last he nodded once, and came over to Sirius and Jocelyn, looking very serious.

“If I may have a word, Mr. Black,” he said quietly to Sirius. Sirius nodded, and followed Dumbledore over to a corner. A few minutes later he returned to Jocelyn, his stomach churning.

“What was that about?” she questioned, speaking to him for the first time in nearly two days.

Sirius bit his lip.

“Your father.”

“What did he say?” she asked eagerly. “Do they know what’s wrong with him?”

Sirius nodded mutely, staring at her.

“Well,” she demanded, “what is it?”

Sirius didn’t want to tell her. He looked straight into her eyes, bracing himself for what he had to do. Finally he took a deep, shuddering breath.

“Jocelyn,” he said quietly, “he’s dying.”


A/N: I told you (or did I?) it was going to get depressing! But don’t worry, it’ll get better soon (although I’m not making any promises! ;))… Anyway, I’m going on vaca, so I won’t be able to update until next Saturday (August 13) at earliest! (no internet where I'm going :( ) In the meantime, keep up the excellent work you’ve all been doing by continuing to review! Peace out my homies! ~ Trinsy
Confrontation by trinsy
Jocelyn stared at the floor.

“I didn’t want to believe it,” she whispered.

Sirius fought to keep his jaw from dropping.

“You knew? How?”

“Oh Sirius, how could I not?” she said impatiently. “I knew from the moment I stepped off the bus he wouldn’t be around much longer. Just look at him! It’s the shock that’s killing him, poor man.”

Yes, Sirius had known from the moment he’d stepped off the bus as well, but hearing these words come from Jocelyn’s mouth made it seem a thousand times more horrible… and more inevitable. Sirius hadn’t wanted to believe it either. Jocelyn looked as though she were trying very hard not to cry. Sirius didn’t know what else to say.

“I’m “ I’m so sorry,” he said finally.

She nodded numbly.

“I’ll just “ er “ leave you alone, then,” he said awkwardly after another moment. “If that’s all right,” he added quickly.

She nodded without looking at him.

Sirius went in search of the others, leaving Jocelyn alone with her terrible thoughts, and the next morning they all returned to Hogwarts.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Life at Hogwarts had returned to normal, but it was a lot less fun for Jocelyn, Lily, and the Marauders. Lily and James had begun splitting up when they went patrolling, allegedly because they got it done sooner, but actually because things had become very awkward between them.

The full moon was fast approaching, but Sirius found he wasn’t even looking forward to it. What use was it to anyone if they could run around Hogsmeade without getting caught? How was that going to stop Voldemort? Unless he happened to be wandering around the village and they could get Remus to attack him, Sirius thought, grinning at the idea even though he knew it could never happen.

Jocelyn wasn’t speaking to any of them, and this began to annoy Sirius. But then, everything was beginning to annoy him. Even James.

“Would you put that thing away?” he snapped at James one evening, as they lounged in front of the fire. James had stolen a Snitch and kept releasing it and then catching it a moment later. Sirius snatched the Snitch out of the air half a second faster than James.

“Not bad, Padfoot,” James grinned. “Ever consider trying for Seeker?”

“No,” answered Sirius coldly, as though he didn’t think this was the time to compliment people on their Quidditch skills. He put the Snitch in his pocket, ending the discussion.

“I’m bored,” James declared about a minute later.

“That’s unfortunate,” said Sirius, without bothering to look at him.

“Want to play Exploding Snap?”

“No.”

“Gobstones?”

“No.”

“Chess?”

“For Merlin’s sake, James!” Sirius exploded. “Just because you’re bored doesn’t mean we all are!”

James gave him a hard look.

“What’s up with you?” he demanded.

“Nothing,” said Sirius guiltily, suddenly remembering their last fight. “I’m “ er “ hungry. Want to run to the kitchens?”

“Who’s going to the kitchens?” said a voice behind him. He turned and saw Jocelyn. For a moment Sirius was so stunned to see her somewhere other than class (the only thing she ever left her dormitory for now) that he simply stared at her, open-mouthed. Then he came to himself.

“Joce’!” he said, springing to his feet. “Er “ how are “ I mean, what’re you “ I mean, er, want to come with us?”

Jocelyn gave a half smile, which was definitely progress.

“I’d love to,” she told him.

Five minutes later Sirius, James, and Jocelyn were heading down to the kitchens together. They were barely halfway there, however, when they came across one of the last people any of them wanted to see: Narcissa.

“Ah, Adhara,” she said pleasantly. “How are you? So sorry I missed the funeral, I heard it was lovely.” She had put on a very affected sorrowful face, but her mouth twitched as though she found the whole thing amusing.

“You!” Sirius snarled, lunging at her, but both James and Jocelyn grabbed his robes, holding him back.

“Sirius, no!” Jocelyn whispered. James, however, stepped in front of Sirius and addressed Narcissa.

“Why don’t you just clear off?” he said quietly, but his voice carried a definite threat in it, and his eyes had become very hard.

“Or what?” Narcissa challenged. “You’ll take points off Slytherin? Put me in detention?”

“I can do a lot worse to you than put you in detention, as you bloody well know,” said James in the same quiet, deadly tone. “Now clear off.”

“But I don’t really feel like leaving,” Narcissa answered, raising her eyebrows defiantly.

“Clear off, Black!” James repeated in a low growl.

“Temper, temper,” said Narcissa coolly. “I only wanted to console my poor, orphaned cous “” she broke off abruptly. James had drawn his wand from his sleeve and was pointing it at her.

“James!” Jocelyn hissed warningly, but James ignored her.

“Clear off, Black, or I will make you!” he snarled at Narcissa.

Jocelyn looked uncertainly between James and Sirius, as though trying to decide which one she ought to try to restrain. Narcissa’s eyes had gone very wide. For a moment she and James glared at each other. Then, without a word, she turned and walked away.

“You shouldn’t have let her go!” Sirius snarled, once she was out of sight and it was safe to release him. “You should have cursed her into the next dimension!”

“I fight against the Dark Side. I don’t use its tactics,” James replied coolly. “She wasn’t actually threatening us, after all.”

Sirius stared at him in disbelief.

“You’ve never given a damn before!”

“If I attacked her without reason I wouldn’t be any better than she is, would I?” James asked quietly.

Comprehension dawned across Sirius’s face.

“This is because of Lily, isn’t it?” he said accusingly.

“Sirius,” said James warningly, but Sirius didn’t seem to hear him.

“It’s about her, of course it is, she’s turned you into a self-righteous prat,” he muttered to himself. “All those patrol duties you used to do together, she used them to poison you “”

“Sirius!” James snarled. Sirius stopped muttering and looked up at him. “I thought you and Lily were friends,” said James quietly.

“Of course we are,” said Sirius impatiently. “But when it comes to the Slytherins she doesn’t know what she’s talking about!”

“Narcissa wasn’t threatening us,” James repeated firmly.

“Wait around for her to threaten you, and you’ll wind up like Vega,” Sirius snarled. “And do you think I give a damn if she was “”

“Of course not,” said James soothingly. “But that doesn’t mean you’re right.”

Sirius was about to tell James exactly what he thought about being right, when Remus came up to them.

“I thought I’d find you going this way,” he said, smiling around at them. “What’s up?” he questioned, when he saw their faces.

“Little family reunion,” growled Sirius, looking positively murderous.

“Narcissa,” James mouthed, and Remus nodded in understanding.

It was only then that any of them noticed Jocelyn. She was standing completely still, her face ghost-white and expressionless, her eyes blank and staring.

“Er “ Jocelyn?” said James uncertainly.

Slowly, almost eerily, she turned her head toward him.

“I shouldn’t have left the common room,” she said dully.

The three boys looked at each other, frowning.

“Er “ sorry?” said Remus.

“I shouldn’t have left the common room,” Jocelyn repeated, her voice void of all emotion. “Sirius is right. If I wait for them to threaten me, I’ll end up dead.”

Remus turned to Sirius, his face incredulous.

“You told her if the Slytherins threatened her she’d end up dead?” he said disbelievingly. “Good job, Padfoot, really brilliant!”

But Sirius wasn’t listening. He was staring at Jocelyn, his expression unreadable.

“Remus,” he said firmly, never taking his eyes off Jocelyn, “take Jocelyn back to Gryffindor Tower.”

Remus frowned at him.

“But “”

“Do it, Remus!” Sirius snarled, rounding on him.

Remus knew better than to argue. Holding up one hand in surrender, he took Jocelyn’s arm and led her away.

“You,” said Sirius, rounding on James now, “come with me.”

He turned and began walking swiftly up the brightly lit corridor.

“Where are you going?” James questioned, running to keep up, as Sirius climbed a staircase three stairs at a time.

“Where I should have gone long ago,” Sirius answered, turning up a final corridor and stopping in front of a very ugly stone gargoyle. “Dumbledore.”


A/N: Wow, I hate being away from Will (that’s the name of my comp, btw) for so long! I feel like I’ve missed a lot! Anyway, thank you all for reviewing, it was wonderful to come home and read all your wonderful comments! The FAQ of the last chapter was “When are James and Lily going to get together?” Okay, I promise, promise, promise it will happen within the next five chapters! Anyway, great to be home, I missed you all! *hugs all of you* ~ Trinsy
The Greatest Weakness by trinsy
James skidded to a halt next to Sirius and stared at him.

“Hm, that’s a great idea Padfoot,” he said sarcastically. “There’s only one little problem: You don’t know how to get into his office!”

“Don’t be ridiculous,” said Sirius coldly. “Everyone knows Dumbledore is fond of sweets. And there are only so many sweets in the world, after all. So go on then, what’s your favorite sweet?”

“Er,” said James, thinking for a moment. He wasn’t prepared to rattle off a list of sweets. “Bertie Bott’s Every Flavor Beans,” he said finally.

Nothing happened. Sirius rolled his eyes.

“Don’t be stupid, he hates those,” he growled. “Chocolate Frogs.”

Again, nothing. The gargoyle didn’t so much as blink.

“Squeaking Sugar Mice,” James tried. “Er “ Peppermint Toad. Fizzing Whizbee.”

The gargoyle continued to stare at him.

“Wait a moment, I’ve got it!” Sirius cried. “Sugar Quill!”

To James’s immense surprise the gargoyle sprang to life, jumped aside, and the wall opened to reveal a moving spiral staircase. Sirius swept past James to step onto it, but James just stared.

“Come on then, we haven’t got all evening,” said Sirius, turning back.

James came to himself and followed him. A moment later they found themselves in front of a gleaming oak door with a brass knocker shaped like a griffin. Sirius knocked on it. There was silence, and the door remained closed. Sirius tried the handle. It was locked.

“He must not be back from London,” said James uncertainly, but Sirius wasn’t listening.

“Alohomora,” he said, tapping the door with his wand. He tried the handle again, but the door remained locked. Fuming, Sirius turned on his heel and stormed back down the stairs and into the corridor.

“Perfect,” he snarled, as he and James made their way back to Gryffindor tower. “My aunt is dead, my uncle is dying, one of my cousins is going” “ he paused, searching for a word to describe exactly what his cousin was; at last he found it “ “mental, another one keeps harassing me, a third one seems to be plotting my murder, and Dumbledore is in bloody London! You know what I think?” he questioned, rounding suddenly on James.

“No idea,” James answered honestly.

“I think Dumbledore is useless!” Sirius declared, resuming his march down the corridor. “Bloody useless! Because every time I could really use his help he’s nowhere to be found! In Hogsmeade he didn’t show up until after we’d gotten the situation under control! And then he disappeared on Ministry business before we could tell him about Bella! He showed up long enough to get Uncle Alphard to St. Mungo’s, and then disappeared again! And now Jocelyn is going mad and he’s in bloody London! I mean, don’t you think that’s ridiculous?”

“I have no idea,” said the Fat Lady irritably. Sirius and James had arrived at her portrait midway through Sirius’s rant. “But I think it is ridiculous that you haven’t given me the password yet!”

Billywig,” said Sirius impatiently. “But that wasn’t the point “”

But at that moment the portrait hole swung open, and by the time Sirius had climbed through it he had forgotten what his point was, so he and James went up to bed without further discussion.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Jocelyn, oddly enough, was perfectly fine the next day, and acted exactly as she had before the attack in Hogsmeade, though she was considerably paler. The Marauders were much too afraid to bring up Narcissa in front of her, and were astonished when Jocelyn herself brought her up a few days later in Transfiguration, as they once again attempted to conjure pigs, this time out of thin air.

“I just don’t understand why she keeps seeking us out!” she said abruptly. She waved her wand distractedly, and a trail of flies streamed out of it.

“Ugh, Jocelyn, pay attention!” said Lily, making a face. James quickly vanished the flies for them.

“Who?” questioned Sirius, who wasn’t paying any more attention to his spell work than Jocelyn to hers, and was absentmindedly flooding the floor with tadpoles.

“Narcissa!” Jocelyn hissed, and all the Marauders winced.

“It’s obvious, isn’t it?” said Sirius. “She’s trying to intimidate us, isn’t she? Trying to scare us!”

“I don’t think that’s true,” said Jocelyn thoughtfully. “I mean, if we’re not scared after “ well, you know,” she said quickly. She jabbed her wand distractedly at the ceiling, and a shower of sparks fell onto her desk, blackening it.

“After they killed your mother?” Peter supplied helpfully.

Sirius, James, Remus, and Lily all glared at him. Jocelyn gave no sign she had heard, but the little color in her face drained out of it.

“Yes, well, Jocelyn’s got a point,” said James after an awkward pause. “I mean, if that didn’t intimidate us, I don’t see what Narcissa’s going to do.”

“Yes, exactly,” Jocelyn nodded. “That’s why it’s so strange. I mean, what does she hope to accomplish in all this?”

“She’s just evil,” said Sirius dismissively.

“You see, that is one of your greatest weaknesses,” said Lily suddenly.

“If you’re talking about not focusing enough when I do the spell, I was already aware of that,” snapped Sirius. Tadpoles were now wriggling all around his feet. He had already squashed two of them.

“No, I wasn’t talking about that at all,” said Lily impatiently. “Although that is a problem, of course. But I meant your conviction that Slytherins are purely evil! You underestimate them! They have other qualities besides evilness, you know!”

“All the Slytherins I know “” Sirius began angrily.

“We are all perfectly aware that you have some very nasty Slytherin relatives, Padfoot,” Remus cut in quietly. “But Slytherin house is not comprised entirely of Blacks, and to that point not all Blacks are evil.”

“Well if you’re talking about me and Jocelyn!” said Sirius hotly.

“But I’m not,” said Remus quietly.

“And anyway, that’s not the point!” said Jocelyn wearily.

“Then what was the point?” Sirius demanded.

“The point “ oh, never mind!” Jocelyn sighed as the bell rang. “You’re all hopeless, really!”

And swinging her bag over her shoulder, she started to leave the classroom alone. In her hurry to get through the doorway she accidentally rammed into another student.

“Oh, I’m so sorry,” she started to say, looking up, but the words died in her throat. She was looking into the most interesting eyes she had ever seen, a deep hickory with flecks of gold.

“It’s all right, Adhara,” said a voice she recognized, and suddenly she realized the eyes belonged to Hector Freemonte, the Hufflepuff prefect and, really, a very ordinary person. Jocelyn knew him by sight, but she had never seen him up close before. She would have remembered those eyes if she had. He smiled at her, and Jocelyn felt a strange jolt in her stomach.

“You’re blocking the door, Joce’,” said Sirius’s voice from behind her.

Jocelyn jumped, feeling guilty, though she had no idea why.

“Sorry,” she said quickly, squeezing past Hector. She hurried away from the classroom too fast to hear the exchange that took place a moment later.

“That was my cousin, Freemonte,” Sirius snarled at Hector.

“I know, Black,” said Hector quietly.

“My cousin,” Sirius growled. “Not my sister. Understand, Freemonte?”

“Perfectly,” said Hector.

“Good,” said Sirius, and pushed past him to pursue Jocelyn.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Ready to go, James?” Lily questioned as they made to exit the portrait hole together.

“Yeah. Er “ Lily?”

“Yes?”

“Do we “ are we going to split up tonight?” he asked tentatively.

“Not if you don’t want to,” she answered hesitantly.

“Er “ well, it just gets boring alone, that’s all,” he said quickly.

Lily gave a small smile, thinking she knew what he meant. A few months before she would never have allowed him to abuse his position to spend time with her, but for some reason she didn’t mind it so much anymore.

“Yeah,” she said quietly, “wicked boring, James.”
They patrolled in silence for a few minutes. Lily waited for James to say it, to ask her one more time, smiling quietly to herself when she thought of the answer she would give. Finally James spoke one word.

“Hector.”

Lily, who had been examining a suit of armor, looked around at James very quickly.

“What about him?” she said sharply.

“Well, nothing,” he shrugged, “except that Sirius doesn’t seem to like him much. He seems to think that Jocelyn “”

“Is that why you wanted to patrol with me tonight?” Lily snapped. “So we could discuss Jocelyn’s love interests?”

“No, of course not!” said James in frustration. “It’s just that “”

“Sirius is worried that he has competition!” finished Lily angrily. “Look, not that it’s any of your business, but Jocelyn doesn’t fancy Hector, all right! She hadn’t even looked at him properly before this afternoon. And don’t ask me about it again!”

James didn’t say anything. Disappointment was flooding through Lily, and anger at her disappointment.

“I would think you’d be more concerned with the object of other girls’ affections besides Jocelyn’s,” she muttered after a moment, without looking at him.

James frowned.

“What d’you mean?” he questioned.

Lily gave a frustrated scream and stomped her foot, glaring at him.

“That you’re being thick, James Potter!” she snarled, and stormed down the corridor, leaving him to patrol on his own.


A/N: Hey guys! Sorry about the wait for the last chapter, I got back from vacation and then… stuff happened. (Ha! Thought I’d forgotten about you, didn’t ya?) Anyway, hopefully that’s the longest you’ll ever have to wait for an update (though judging by the upsurge in submissions here, I'd guess not. The poor mods... {have you hugged your mod today?}). Please be sure to check out my LJ (link on my author page) for some important info about where this story is headed (If there's nothing of that nature when you first go to it, check back in a day or two. It's important you go there if you ever want to find this story on this site again). Until next time, folks… ~ Trinsy
Grave Danger by trinsy
“Black! Potter!” Professor McGonagall’s voice echoed across the entrance hall as they left lunch the next afternoon. Sirius, James, and Jocelyn all turned. So did Narcissa, and a dark-haired, hard-faced Slytherin boy. “Off you go, Narcissa! And you, Regulus!” McGonagall crisply dismissed the two Slytherins, who exchanged glares with Sirius and Jocelyn before heading to their respective classes. “And yes, you as well, Jocelyn,” added McGonagall in a gentler tone, looking over at Jocelyn. Shrugging, Jocelyn rejoined Lily and the two left for class together.

“What’s up, Professor?” Sirius asked McGonagall as the entrance hall emptied around them.

“The Headmaster wishes to speak to you both,” McGonagall explained, leading them toward Dumbledore’s office.

“It’s about time,” Sirius mumbled.

“About what?” James questioned, stepping on Sirius’s foot.

“That is the Headmaster’s business, Mr. Potter,” said McGonagall severely as they reached the stone gargoyle that guarded the Headmaster’s office. “I am sure you will find out in a moment. Sugar Quill.

The gargoyle sprang to life and jumped aside.

“Bit of a sweet tooth Dumbledore has, doesn’t he?” Sirius asked of McGonagall, grinning.

“That is no business of yours, Mr. Black,” McGonagall answered coldly, and with that she left Sirius and James on their own.

Sirius and James stepped onto the moving spiral staircase and in a few moments they were in front of the gleaming oak door that opened into Dumbledore’s office. Sirius knocked, and this time it opened.

The first thing Sirius saw upon entering the room was… nothing. Oh, there were plenty of books on the bookshelves, and strange, shiny, whirring contraptions set up on spindly tables, as well as Dumbledore’s pet phoenix, Fawkes. But there was absolutely no trace of Dumbledore. Sirius reflected that only once had he ever been summoned to Dumbledore’s office to find Dumbledore actually there upon arrival. Which he found somewhat irritating, as he happened to be missing Defense Against the Dark Arts, a class which, in spite of Professor Venenum, he rather enjoyed. Sirius was just thinking bitterly of how much homework he’d have to make up when “

“Ah, Mr. Black and Mr. Potter,” said Dumbledore, appearing, seemingly, out of the thin air, as was he almost always did. It was a habit Sirius found rather disconcerting, and a bit rude. Dumbledore might be an extremely powerful wizard, but Sirius didn’t think that should excuse him from the elementary polite behavior of walking into a room like everyone else.

“Hello, Professor,” Sirius and James both replied.

“Please, sit down,” offered Dumbledore, waving them into chairs in front of his desk, which he had seated himself behind. “I apologize for not calling for you sooner. I was called away on unexpected business.”

Sirius and James nodded, the only possible response to this statement, although Sirius reflected bitterly that Dumbledore couldn’t be very sorry, or he would have called for them when he’d said he would.

“Now let us get down to business,” Dumbledore suggested. “This affair in Hogsmeade “”

Sirius’s jaw dropped. This was about that? That had been nearly two months ago! What about Uncle Alphard and Aunt Vega? What about Bella? Wasn’t Dumbledore a bit behind the times?

“Er, yeah, about that Professor,” said James, flushing. “It was all my fault we were there. You see “”

“Mr. Potter,” said Dumbledore very clearly, “I hold to what I told you that night: I have absolutely no desire to know how you came to be in Hogsmeade. The results of your presence there are of much greater interest to me.”

At these words Sirius, who had been gaping first at Dumbledore for his slowness, and then at James for declaring it was “all his fault” they were in Hogsmeade, now turned back to Dumbledore. All his senses were suddenly on high alert.

“What d’you mean?” he questioned warily.

“I have just received word,” began Dumbledore gravely, “from a most reliable source. It seems that after your exhibition that Friday night, Voldemort came to the conclusion that you are two Hogwarts students he should watch carefully. I believe he fears one of you in particular” “ here Dumbledore paused, and for a moment his eyes rested on Sirius “ “may attempt to overthrow him as Dark Lord.”

It took a moment for the full meaning of these words to sink in. When they did “

James swore, loudly.

“Sorry, Professor,” he apologized quickly.

Sirius didn’t say anything at all. He felt numb. The attack on James, Bellatrix’s letter, Aunt Vega’s death, Uncle Alphard’s illness, and now this. It was all too much for him to take in.

“He “ he thinks I want to become the next Dark Lord?” he finally managed.

Dumbledore nodded gravely.

“But “ I’d never “!” Sirius said jerkily. “I’m the only one in my family who wouldn’t love to be a Dark Lord!” he said violently.

“I understand that,” said Dumbledore quietly. “But Lord Voldemort does not. You will not join him. He therefore has concluded that you must wish to replace him. He cannot imagine that you would simply wish to abolish his rule. Lord Voldemort does not understand right and wrong. He only understands power, and he cannot imagine anyone being any different.”

“And “ what does all this mean, exactly?” Sirius questioned.

“It means, Mr. Black,” Dumbledore replied heavily, “that you and Mr. Potter are in grave danger.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“What did he mean, ‘You and Mr. Potter are in grave danger’?” Sirius questioned angrily in their dormitory that night. “I knew that already! That was obvious after I had to fight off two-dozen Death Eaters in Hogsmeade! That was obvious after my cousin started sending me death threats! That was obvious after my aunt was killed!”

“I can’t believe he thinks you’re his rival,” said James numbly.

“I can’t either!” said Sirius violently. “Just because I happen to know the mass disarming spell? So what, I’m his ‘rival’ because he doesn’t train his Death Eaters? What sort of logic is that?”

“You know that’s not why he thinks that,” said Jocelyn quietly. She was sitting on Sirius’s bed, having been invited there by the Marauders to hear what James and Sirius had to say.

“What d’you mean?” questioned James.

Jocelyn’s eyes met Sirius’s and he knew exactly what she was thinking.

“Bella,” he said quietly. “Bella told him that.”

“But what could possibly be her logic for that?” James wondered.

“She doesn’t need logic!” Sirius snapped. “She just needs to give him an excuse to kill us!”

Jocelyn gave him a hard look.

“The Blacks are good wizards, James,” she said heavily. “We know how to perform Dark magic, and we know how to block it. Well, that’s a great asset for You-Know-Who” “ Sirius growled; Jocelyn ignored him, and continued without missing a beat “ “when he’s got one of them on his side. But when one is against him… well, that’s not a pleasant thought, is it?”

James opened his mouth to reply when a mournful howl broke the still night.

“Remus!” Sirius and James exclaimed together, remembering what night it was at exactly the same moment.

“Sorry Joce’,” said Sirius quickly, as James threw his Invisibility Cloak over himself, Sirius, and Peter. “See you tomorrow.”

“Right,” Jocelyn muttered as the door opened and shut, seemingly of its own accord. “Tomorrow.”


A/N: Okay, a lot of you wanted to know why “this Hector guy” matters. Trust me, he matters a great deal! And that's all I'm saying for now....
Charmed and Charmed Again by trinsy
“But how can you be sure it was Bellatrix?” Lily questioned for the hundredth time two days later, as they sat together in Charms. She flicked her wand casually, and fine, powdery snow began to fall into the bucket in front of her desk.

“I’m not answering that question again, I’ve answered it a hundred times already,” snarled Sirius, jabbing at the ceiling with his own wand. Bludger-sized hailstones began raining down on his desk.

“A little less force, Mr. Black,” squeaked Professor Flitwick in alarm as students dove for cover, and Lily quickly stopped the hailstorm.

“I’m just saying “” Lily began as Professor Flitwick turned away, but she was interrupted.

“Lay off him,” said James quietly. Lily opened her mouth, saw the look on James’s face, and shut it again.

Jocelyn was absentmindedly flicking her wand at the ceiling, and instead of making it snow had produced a large flock of sparrows, which were fluttering restlessly around her head. She didn’t seem to notice, however. She was looking over her homework planner, a frown etching itself on her face.

Another Defense Against the Dark Arts essay,” she complained, looking up at the rest of them. “Want to help me with that tonight, Lils?”

“I’d love to, but I have to go to that stupid Slug Club Christmas party,” said Lily, making a face.

“I thought you loved Slughorn,” said Sirius, waving his wand feebly as he looked over at her. A tiny, single snowflake fluttered down on his desk.

“Oh, he’s all right,” Lily agreed, “except for when he hints I ought to have been in Slytherin “”

“WHAT?” shouted James, leaping up at the exact same moment he waved his wand. Rain immediately poured down on him from the ceiling. Remus and Jocelyn, who had both just taken long draughts from goblets Remus had conjured for them under the table, choked mid-swallow; Jocelyn sprayed Sirius with pumpkin juice, and Remus spewed what appeared to be Butterbeer from his nose. Several students had jumped and looked around in alarm, but burst out laughing when they saw James standing at his desk, soaked and rigid with shock.

“Sorry, Professor,” said Lily casually, waving away the rain, and the sparrows for good measure. “It was my fault, it won’t happen again.” She turned back to James, who was drying his clothes with his wand. “It’s not like I agree with him that I should be in Slytherin,” she said, as if there had been no interruption.

“I would hope not,” said James coldly.

“Why don’t you come to the Slug Club, Sirius?” Lily questioned, turning to him, as he wiped pumpkin juice off his front. “Professor Slughorn is always wishing you would. I think he would have loved to have you in Slytherin as well as your brother.”

“You’ve just put your finger on it,” growled Sirius. “I’m not going to some stupid party so I can hear how much I’ve let my family down by landing in Gryffindor. Especially if Regulus is going to be there.”

“Regulus is actually very polite at the meetings,” said Lily fairly. “I’m sure if you just to got to know him “”

“If I couldn’t do that after living in the same house with him for nine years, I don’t think it’s worth any more of my time,” said Sirius coolly.

Lily turned scarlet.

“Sorry,” she mumbled, “I forgot.”

“Wish I could,” said Sirius coldly.

“Don’t go getting any ideas about Regulus Black,” said James warningly.

“As if I’d fancy a runty fifth year,” said Lily scornfully, giving James a withering look. “I only meant “”

“I know what you meant, and I’m still warning you,” said James angrily, “don’t go getting ideas about Regulus Black. He’s an arrogant little “”

“I don’t know why you’re all so fussed about him, really,” interrupted Jocelyn, seeming to take a true interest in the conversation for the first time. “It’s not like he ever does anything to any of us.”

“Except jinx us!” snapped James.

“Ah, the mark of a true Slytherin,” said Jocelyn boredly. “No, Lily, don’t bother defending them,” she added, for Lily had opened her mouth in protest. “They’re really not a pleasant lot. Sirius and I should know, we grew up with about half of them.”

“That’s all very well,” said Sirius. “But what is this sudden defense of my useless brother?”

“Oh, was I defending him?” asked Jocelyn, looking genuinely surprised. “I suppose I was too busy telling Lily to stop doing that to notice.”

“Ha ha,” snapped Sirius.

“Are we supposed to be able to follow this conversation?” asked Remus with a sort of detached curiosity.

“I don’t think so,” Lily answered, her mouth twitching. “I can’t.”

“Regulus might not be as useless as you think, you know,” Jocelyn insisted to Sirius, ignoring Remus and Lily. “You are a little biased.”

“You’d be if you’d lived with him for nine years,” Sirius snapped.

“Yes, yes, we all agree you had a horrible childhood,” said Jocelyn coldly. “But I happen to have had about half of the same childhood you did, and I don’t think you’re exactly the right person to declare Regulus useless or not useless. It’s common knowledge you hate him.”

“It wasn’t possible to live with Regulus and not hate him,” snarled Sirius, flaring up at once. “I’d like to’ve seen you try it!”

“I beg your pardon, I did try it!” said Jocelyn, becoming angry as well. “And I still think “”

Her words were drowned out as the bell rang, but neither she nor Sirius seemed to notice. Remus immediately escaped to use the library, while Peter squeezed out, muttering something about Care of Magical Creatures. James turned to Lily.

“Come on,” he said. “Let’s leave them at it.”

“Yes, please,” Lily agreed, and followed James out into the hall, leaving Sirius and Jocelyn still bickering in the classroom.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“I’d forgotten how much those two fight,” said James as he and Lily made their way down to the grounds. “They sort of laid off each other after “ well, you know,” he said uncomfortably.

“After Jocelyn’s mother died,” Lily finished, nodding. “Yes, I’d noticed she was less confrontational. Mind you, I wasn’t complaining at first,” she laughed. “But it got weird after a while. I’m glad she’s getting back to normal.”

“And Sirius seems fine now,” sighed James as they passed through the front doors and onto the lawn. “He seems to be taking the idea of being Voldemort’s rival very well. Wish I could!” he added viciously, kicking a tuft of grass.

“Voldemort knows, and you know, that if you came face to face with him you’d be gone in one Avada Kedavra,” said Lily reasonably. “I don’t believe he thinks you’re any threat to him at all.”

“Gone in one Avada Kedavra?” said James incredulously. “Thanks Lils, that’s very comforting!”

Inwardly he was cursing himself. He’d been pondering her words for three days now, and finally come to the conclusion that he ought to try to ask her out. He’d left Charms with her with that intention, and was not quite sure how they had gotten onto the subject of Voldemort.

“Well, all you have to do is make sure you never come face to face with him and you’re golden,” said Lily brightly. “And you probably don’t want to meet up with that Bellatrix woman either,” she added thoughtfully.

“Yes, I think I’ll pass on that one,” James agreed sarcastically.

“Oh, James, this is stupid!” she snapped. “I thought we agreed we’d rather go down fighting for what we believed in, so who cares if Voldemort is after us or not? I don’t.”

“Voldemort’s not after us,” said James in frustration, “he’s after “ hang on.” He stopped as the full meaning of her words hit him, and turned slowly to look at her. “What did you mean by that?” he asked quietly.

“Nothing,” said Lily quickly, turning scarlet.

“No, you didn’t,” said James in the same quiet voice.

Lily was now blushing so deeply James could feel the heat coming from her.

“It’s just that “ that,” she muttered, avoiding his eyes, “I mean, we’ve been through a few things together “ well, not really together,” she corrected quickly. “I mean, I know I wasn’t there in Hogsmeade, and I didn’t know Vega, or anything like that “ But we were at that funeral together, and when we found out Alphard was dying, and “ you know, after Vega died, there was that night when “ but it’s stupid, I shouldn’t have brought it up, I shouldn’t have “”

But James wasn’t listening anymore. He bent down and caught Lily’s mouth with his own, cutting off her words. There was one horrible moment when he thought he’d misunderstood her. Then, very hesitantly, she began to kiss him back. James pulled back for a moment.

“Does this mean,” he said, very quietly, gazing into her astonishing green eyes, “that after six and a half years you want to give me a chance?”

A shy smile spread slowly over Lily’s face as she nodded. James grinned and kissed her again.
About Time by trinsy
The news that James Potter had finally won the heart of Lily Evans had spread throughout the castle by dinner that night, but that didn’t stop the volume level from tripling when they entered the Great Hall together, hand in hand.

“It’s no more than I expected,” sighed Lily in resignation as heads turned to follow their progress to the Gryffindor table, but James didn’t seem to mind. He was positively strutting.

“It’s about time,” said Remus quietly with a faint smile as they passed him. Peter simply looked awestruck.

“Congratulations,” said Jocelyn, smirking, as they sat down opposite her.

Lily smiled sheepishly. James, however, was looking at Sirius, the only person in the Great Hall who wasn’t saying anything, and the only one whose opinion he cared about.

“Er “ Sirius mate,” he said uncertainly, because suddenly he wasn’t sure Sirius was going to be happy that he, James, had finally achieved his dream of six and a half years, and was going out with Lily Evans. The atmosphere at the table changed instantly. Remus froze halfway through lowering his goblet, Peter’s eyes darted uncertainly between James and Sirius’s faces, and Jocelyn suddenly looked very tense.

There was a silence while Sirius and James looked at each other, but Sirius wasn’t really seeing James at all. Six and a half years of memories were assailing him; six and a half years of adventures, and pranks, and fights, and loyalty. Six and a half years that were drawing to a close. The end of an era. He took a deep breath.

“Well done, mate,” he said, smiling, and James grinned. The tension at the table broke. Everyone began laughing and talking, and they were just getting to the point of hysteria when Lily suddenly jumped up.

“What’s with you?” James questioned, frowning at her.

“I’ve forgotten!” she said anxiously. “I’m supposed to be at the Slug Club Christmas party!”

“Sit down,” yawned James, grabbing her hand and attempting to pull her back down. “Tell Slughorn you got sick or something.”

“No, he’ll be so disappointed, but “” Lily’s face suddenly lit up. “You can come with me!” she said with obvious delight.

“No I can’t,” replied James, bemused. “That’s by invitation only, and I didn’t get one. Sirius here did, though,” he added, nodding at Sirius, who glowered at him.

“Don’t be stupid, we’re allowed to bring guests!” said Lily brightly. “So come on, then!” She yanked on his hand.

“All right, all right,” sighed James, standing up, and making to follow her. “Wish me luck,” he added to the rest of them.

“Good luck!” beamed Jocelyn.

“See you!” said Lily brightly, and with that she and James disappeared.

“Sirius, are you okay?” Jocelyn questioned, for he had suddenly become very sober.

“Oh yeah,” he replied without looking at her, his voice sounding unnaturally hearty. “Yeah, I’m fine.”

“You sure?” she said tentatively.

“Yeah,” said Sirius, in that same horribly hearty voice. “Good about James and Lily, isn’t it?”

“Is it?” said Jocelyn, very quietly, and Sirius’s face fell.

“You told me once that I couldn’t spend the rest of my life playing pranks,” he said, looking up at her. “But I don’t think that’s the reason I’m not entirely happy about it.” There was a long pause while they looked at each other. “It’s just… hard,” he said finally, looking back down at his plate.

“I know,” she answered. “It’s like you can’t decide if you want it to work out or not, because if it does, you’ll be happy for them, but you’ll hate them, and if it doesn’t, you’ll be happy for yourself, but you’ll “”

“Hate yourself, yeah,” Sirius nodded, still staring at his plate. “And, you know, it’s not like things won’t go back to normal,” he muttered.

“But they’ll never be the same,” Jocelyn whispered.

“Yeah,” he said, looking up at her. “Yeah, exactly.”

Jocelyn looked at him contemplatingly.

“Lily never told you why she invited you to Hogsmeade, did she?” she asked quietly.

“Sure,” Sirius shrugged. “She said it was to find out about James. Why?”

Jocelyn shrugged.

“No reason. Just… wondering, I suppose.”

“Wondering what?” Sirius questioned.

“Lily’s funny, that’s all,” said Jocelyn vaguely.

“Well, that cleared that up,” said Sirius sarcastically. “I’m glad you explained, I was getting really confused.”

Jocelyn gave him a cold look.

“Give me a moment, all right,” she said impatiently. “I’m thinking.”

Sirius turned to Remus and Peter, looking incredulous.

“Can either of you follow this?” he asked them.

Peter shook his head. Remus smiled.

“I can rarely follow your conversations, Padfoot,” he said mildly, “so I wasn’t trying.”

“Well I’m glad I’m not the only one who gets confused,” said Sirius.

“Shut up, Sirius, you made me lose my train of thought,” snapped Jocelyn.

“Well maybe if you’d have said what it was!” Sirius snarled.

Sirius and Jocelyn bickered throughout the rest of dinner, and all the way to Gryffindor Tower, where they, Remus, and Peter settled down to do homework.

“Jocelyn, look over my Defense essay, will you?” Sirius requested after half an hour, yawning.

“Not that you deserve it!” snapped Jocelyn, sounding irritable, as she snatched it away from him. “Sirius!” she said angrily a moment later. “You’ve only written the introduction!”

“I’m not in the mood to write anything else,” he shrugged.

“Well I’m not writing it for you!” she told him, thrusting it back at him. “I’m still writing my own!”

“You wrote three Defense Against the Dark Arts essays last month!” he protested.

“Yes, and you still owe me for that!” she pointed out.

“It didn’t get me out of detention,” he said sulkily.

“That was not my fault,” she said shortly. “I’m not doing your homework for you, and that’s the end of it!”

“Would you two shut up?” sighed Remus. “I can’t think with you two going at each other.”

Sirius and Jocelyn fell silent, and contented themselves with sending each other dirty looks over their parchments. Slowly the common room emptied around them. Remus and Peter went off to bed after awhile. Soon only Sirius and Jocelyn remained, sitting together in silence, except for the scratching of their quills. It was past midnight before Sirius realized it.

“James and Lily never came back,” he said suddenly, looking up at Jocelyn. She giggled.

“I know,” she said, grinning. “I guess they’re making up for lost time.”

Sirius was not sure whether he wanted to laugh or be violently sick, and compromised by making a large blot on his parchment. He swore quietly, and Jocelyn looked up.

“Oh, give that here,” she sighed, holding out her hand. “I’ll clean it up and correct it for you.”

For a few minutes there was silence while she read over it, occasionally scratching out a sentence and writing a revision, and Sirius stared at the fire.

Tap, tap, tap.

Sirius’s head snapped up.

Tap, tap, tap.

“Sirius, would you stop that, I can’t concentrate,” snapped Jocelyn irritably, but Sirius wasn’t listening to her.

“Jocelyn,” he said in a strained voice.

“What?” she snapped, looking up at him.

He pointed across the room.

“What?” she said again, a bite of impatience in her voice.

“It’s here,” he said quietly.

Jocelyn followed his hand, and saw it. There, outside one of the windows, was a medium-sized brown owl. Jocelyn’s eyes widened in horror, and she rushed across the room to open the window. The owl fluttered in and dropped a letter on the table before swooping out again. Jocelyn opened it with trembling fingers. One glance confirmed her worst fears.

“Is it “ is it “” said Sirius jerkily. She nodded.

“My father died this afternoon,” she said quietly. “We’re to go up to London on Saturday to sort out his possessions.”


A/N: Yay, James and Lily are together! So now Sirius and Jocelyn can be to! So said you in the reviews. Er, sorry to burst your bubble, but no… not quite…
Christmas is {Not} a Time of Romance by trinsy
A/N: This chapter is dedicated to my dear friend, the beautiful JFig, is posted especially for the lovely hpbookworm06, and celebrates the exciting return of the wonderful Fawkes17. To them, as well as to all my other amazing readers and reviewers, I give a heartfelt, “Thank you!” ~ Trinsy


Years later, Lily Evans was never quite sure how she had ended up stepping off the Hogwarts Express onto Platform nine and three-quarters in King’s Cross station to be enveloped in a massive hug from Mrs. Potter.

“My dear, I can’t tell you how pleased we were when James told us you were coming to stay, he’s told us all about you, of course, and I’ve been longing to meet you for ages, but James says you’ve been busy” “ Lily smiled guiltily, but Mrs. Potter didn’t even notice “ “and I daresay you have, Head Girl, you must have worked hard, James says you’re the best in your year “”

“Oh no, I’m not!” Lily was gratified, but felt compelled to object for modesty’s sake.

“Nonsense, dear, I’m sure you’re just being modest,” beamed Mrs. Potter, steering her toward the gateway that led to the Muggle world. “Hurry up, dear,” she called back to James, who was wrestling his and Lily’s trunks onto a trolley. Lily noticed what he was doing and quickly levitated the trunks onto it for him.

“Thanks,” he panted, hurrying to catch up with them.

“You must be exhausted,” Mrs. Potter said to Lily.

“Oh no, I’m “” Lily began, but Mrs. Potter cut her off.

“That journey from Hogwarts is horribly long. Are you hungry at all?”

“Well, I’m “”

“Of course you are, Chocolate Frogs and Pumpkin Pasties don’t constitute a decent meal, but we’ll be home in no time, and then you can have a real dinner. Ah, here’s the car, if you could just load the trunks into the boot, James dear. No, you can’t use magic, this area is full of Muggles!” she added quickly, for James had pulled out his wand.

“Oh, right, sorry Mum,” James muttered, quickly stowing his wand back into the back pocket of his jeans and heaving Lily’s trunk off the trolley.

“How many times have I had to tell you not to put your wand there?” Mrs. Potter hissed angrily. “Mad-Eye has always said “”

“Mum,” said James impatiently, rolling his eyes, “I’m not going to get my buttocks blown off! Mad-Eye’s a nutter when it comes to “”

“Your father thinks very highly of Mad-Eye Moody,” said Mrs. Potter with some severity.

“Well so does everyone, he’s a brilliant Auror, isn’t he?” James agreed placidly. “I’m just saying, it’s not only his eye that’s mad, that’s all.”

“Well it’s a pity we can’t all have that kind of insanity,” said his mother coldly.

“Oh come off it, Mum, you don’t want me to jinx everyone who looks at me funny, do you?” said James impatiently, safely stowing Lily’s trunk.

“No, of course not,” snapped Mrs. Potter. “But you are a little too relaxed when it comes to safety and security. I’ve lost count of how many letters I’ve received concerning your habit of wandering around the castle after dark “”

“I haven’t done that since fourth year!” James protested.

Mrs. Potter gave him a hard look.

“All right, I haven’t been caught since fourth year!” admitted James, reddening. “It amounts to practically the same thing.”

His mother gave a small smile, but said in a very severe voice, “Finish loading the trunks into the car please, dear.”

Grinning sheepishly, James obeyed her, and they drove off to James’s house chatting amicably.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Christmas morning dawned cold and clear, and Lily awoke with an extremely contented feeling to find a bulging stocking hanging over her bed. She had just reached for it when the door burst open.

“Awake already? Excellent!” James had entered the room, pajama-clad, clutching a stack of toast in one hand, and a stocking similar to Lily’s in the other. “Thought we could open them together,” he explained, in answer to her inquiring look. “It’s not that fun opening presents alone. I usually do it with Sirius, but… well…” he trailed away. Sirius was staying with Jocelyn in London. They were looking for flats together.

“He and Jocelyn still coming for dinner, then?” Lily questioned, pulling a package carefully out of her stocking.

“Think so,” James nodded, dumping the contents of his stocking unceremoniously onto the foot of Lily’s bed, and seating himself next to them. “Look at this,” he added a moment later, waving a book in her face. “From Remus. ‘I hope this will help you in Charms,’” he read off a card that had evidently been wrapped with the book. “‘Happy Christmas.’ What rubbish!” He threw the book aside and snatched another package from his pile. “Remus never gives good gifts,” he explained to Lily, as he ripped open the second package. “And this is from Peter, he’s never been great either.… See?” he added as the wrapping fell away. “A quill. Very useful.” He looked disdainful and threw it behind him. “Ah, but this one’s from Sirius, his are always good. And… yes! He’s got me a month’s worth of Zonko’s supplies! Brilliant, I was running low!”

James kept up a running commentary as he opened the rest of his gifts, which included a hearty supply of Chocolate Frogs from Jocelyn (“Well, that’s not so bad, but I’d rather have had Pumpkin Pasties.”), and a really excellent book on Quidditch from Lily (“Wow, Lils! I’ve been wanting this for ages!”).

“What did you get, then?” he asked her, when he had unwrapped his final present, a pair of socks from his mother.

But Lily did not answer. She had picked up the book Remus had given James and had become so immersed in it that, after several fruitless minutes of trying to get her attention, James finally gave up talking to her and headed downstairs to have a second breakfast.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Sirius and Jocelyn arrived mid-afternoon and were warmly greeted by Mrs. Potter. She put Sirius and James to work immediately, but allowed Lily and Jocelyn to go up to Lily’s room.

“You look exhausted, dear,” she said kindly to Jocelyn, who did indeed look extremely pale.

“So, how was London?” Lily questioned as soon as Jocelyn had shut the door. “Any luck finding a flat?”

“No,” said Jocelyn flatly. “Sirius says something is sure to turn up in the next few days though.”

“How is Sirius?” Lily asked quietly.

“All right, I suppose,” Jocelyn shrugged. “I think he feels a bit lost without James. But enough about us, how has it been here?”

“Amazing!” Lily answered dreamily. “If I’d known what it was like here I would have accepted one of James’s invitations ages ago!”

Jocelyn smiled at her friend. If she had known, less than four months ago, on the train ride the first day of term, how much things would have changed by Christmas… how much Lily would have changed… how much she would have changed….

“So what did James give you for Christmas?” she questioned, shaking away these thoughts. “Hopefully something more romantic than a Quidditch book!” she added, laughing.

“That’s what he wanted!” said Lily defensively. “But yes,” she added with a shy smile, “it was more romantic than that.”

“Let’s see it then,” grinned Jocelyn.

Lily held out her right hand so Jocelyn could admire the ring that now encircled her fourth finger: a thin gold band with a delicate silver lily at the top.

“It’s beautiful,” whispered Jocelyn sincerely. Her thoughts momentarily strayed to the very unromantic new Beater’s bat Sirius had given her, and she winced slightly.

“So what did you get?” Lily asked, almost as though she had read Jocelyn’s thoughts.

“I received a very mysterious gift, actually,” said Jocelyn, smiling mischievously. She reached into her robes and pulled out a fine silver chain with a star-shaped pendent dangling from it that she had around her neck.

“Lovely,” grinned Lily. “Who from?”

Lily did not know how painful it was for Jocelyn to say what she did, had no idea how much Jocelyn would have given to have said a different name.

“Hector,” Jocelyn answered, smiling coquettishly.

“That was thoughtful,” Lily grinned. “Did it come with a card?”

“Yeah,” Jocelyn nodded, pulling it out of a pocket of her robes and handing it over.

‘Adhara: I saw this and it reminded me of you. A star seems a very appropriate analogy for you. Distance doesn’t diminish your brilliance, yet for many you seem to be the sun. Happy Christmas. ~ Hector Freemonte.’ Well,” Lily grinned, “at least we know he passed his Astronomy O.W.L.”

“Oh, shut up,” snapped Jocelyn, snatching the card back.

“I don’t know, Joce’,” said Lily more soberly. “Sounds a little too Shakespearean for my liking. You know, ‘It is the East, and Juliet is the Sun,’ all that nonsense.”

“Who’s Shakespearean?” asked Jocelyn, frowning in confusion.

Lily shook her head hopelessly.

“You really should have taken Muggle Studies,” she told her friend. “But never mind that, didn’t you two just properly see each other for the first time last week? This seems a bit sudden, doesn’t it?”

“Er “ yeah, I was thinking about that as well,” Jocelyn confessed.

“Ah well,” said Lily carelessly, throwing herself onto her bed, and holding her hand up so she could admire her new ring, “it could be worse. It could be Severus Snape, couldn’t it?”

Jocelyn didn’t answer. Lily was different than she had been before she’d started dating James, and Jocelyn was not sure she liked this new Lily as well as the old one.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“So, any luck finding a flat?” James asked Sirius. He flicked his wand at the table, which set itself instantly.

“Yep,” Sirius nodded, levitating a cauldron of soup onto the table. “Two days ago. I haven’t told Jocelyn yet, though. I figured it would be better to wait until after Christmas. I’ll show her in the next few days, though. It’s ideal, Prongs.”

“Ideal for hunting Bellatrix, you mean,” said James shrewdly.

Sirius nodded soberly.

“Does Jocelyn know that’s what you’re using your inheritance for?” asked James, already guessing the answer.

“Er “ no,” Sirius admitted. “I don’t want to worry her.”

“Jocelyn’s not stupid,” James reminded his friend. “She’s going to figure out what you’re doing before long. You’re going to have to tell her eventually, Padfoot.”

“Yes, but not just yet,” Sirius insisted.

James gave him a hard look, then grinned.

“When are you going to settle down, Padfoot?” he questioned. “Stop plotting revenge, find yourself a nice girl, give up your independence….”

“What, like you? No thanks,” Sirius responded, grinning as well.

“It’s really not so bad,” James insisted. “It’s great, actually.”

“I think that all depends on what girl you get,” muttered Sirius, his grin vanishing.

“For example, if you have a girl you keep secrets from…” said James harshly.

Sirius flinched.

“I’m going to tell her when I’m ready,” he snapped.

“What if you’re never ready?” James questioned. “Jocelyn’s an extremely good-looking girl, Padfoot, as I’m sure you’ve noticed, and she’s not going to stay single forever just because you never make a move!”

Sirius stared at the floor.

“I just don’t want to follow in the Black “”

““ family tradition of marrying your cousin,” James finished mockingly. “How very touching. Snap out of it, Padfoot! If she’s the girl for you, it shouldn’t matter!”

“It’s different for you!” Sirius snarled. “You have your girl.”

James grabbed Sirius roughly by his shoulders.

“If you wait around much longer,” he said warned, “some one else will have yours.”

“What, are you a Seer now?” said Sirius sarcastically.

“I’m being honest with you!” snarled James, slamming a goblet down on the table so hard it cracked.

“Well I don’t need honesty,” snarled Sirius. “And I don’t need advice!”

“You need a brain, is what you need!” James snapped.

“No, I need you to stop harassing me about this!” Sirius corrected. “You have Lily now, why do you care about my relationship with Jocelyn?”

“He doesn’t care about your relationship with Jocelyn, he cares about Jocelyn’s relationship with you,” interjected Lily, entering the kitchen.

Sirius jumped.

“Where’s Jocelyn,” he demanded, his eyes darting around the room, as though he were afraid she had been hiding in a cupboard, listening to his and James’s exchange.

“In my room, sleeping,” Lily replied. “The poor darling is positively exhausted. What have you been doing to her, Sirius?”

“Nothing!” said Sirius defensively. “And what did you mean, James isn’t worried about my relationship with Jocelyn but Jocelyn’s relationship with me? What’s the difference?”

“A great deal,” Lily answered. “But the difference doesn’t matter now, because both happen to be in danger.”

“What d’you mean?” Sirius questioned.

“Did you see that necklace Jocelyn was wearing?” Lily inquired.

Sirius and James both shook their heads. Lily rolled her eyes.

“Well she was wearing one,” she informed them. “It’s very beautiful. And it happens to be a Christmas present from one Hector Freemonte of Hufflepuff glory.”

“WHAT?” Sirius bellowed. “That bloody “! He sent her a NECKLACE?”

Lily gave a small smile.

“Yes,” she said quietly. “Yes he did. And I think it made Jocelyn realize that there are other gnomes in the garden, if you understand me. James is right, Sirius. If you don’t make a move, someone else is going to claim her.”

Sirius didn’t answer. He merely looked murderous. Lily looked up at James.

“I think that about covered it,” she whispered, and he nodded in agreement.
Complications by trinsy
Sirius and Jocelyn arrived back at Hogwarts the last day of the holidays. Professor Dumbledore had made special arrangements for them to be flooed back to Hogwarts as they were both prime targets of the Death Eaters. No sooner had they stepped out of Professor McGonagall’s office than they ran into Hector Freemonte, who had evidently been hanging around that corridor for quite some time.

“Adhara!” he exclaimed the moment she had stepped through the doorway. “All right?”

“Er “ hello,” said Jocelyn awkwardly.

“Freemonte,” Sirius nodded coldly.

“Black,” acknowledged Hector, sounding rather stiff.

“So, er “ did you have a good Christmas?” asked Jocelyn after an awkward pause.

“All right,” Hector shrugged. “Yours?”

“All right,” agreed Jocelyn. “Thank you for your present, by the way.”

Sirius gave an angry start.

“It was nothing,” mumbled Hector, reddening.

Jocelyn noticed the look on Sirius’s face and smiled slightly.

“No, really, it’s lovely, and it was so thoughtful of you,” she said sweetly, giving Hector a dazzling smile.

“Er “ well, you’re welcome,” muttered Hector, whose face color was now strikingly similar to the scarlet of the steam engine that pulled the Hogwarts Express, but he looked marginally more pleased with himself.

Sirius glowered at him, then gave a jaunty smile.

“Well, if you two are going to chat, there’s really no reason for me to stay,” he said in a falsely cheerful voice. “As a matter of fact, I promised I’d meet “ er “ Amanda Jennings in the “ er “ Charms corridor.”

Jocelyn grinned.

“That sounds really lovely, Sirius,” she said in a falsely sweet voice, “but you don’t know anyone named Amanda Jennings.”

Sirius glared at her.

“That’s why I’m going to meet her!” he snapped, and stormed away down the corridor.

Jocelyn gave a tinkling laugh.

“Sorry about him,” she said to Hector, who looked more uncomfortable than ever.

“Er “ don’t you want to go after him?” he questioned.

“Not particularly, no,” said Jocelyn, shrugging. “Now what were you saying before he interrupted us?”

“I “ wasn’t,” answered Hector awkwardly.

“All the better,” said Jocelyn, beaming at him. She glared at the spot Sirius had where disappeared. “I hate men who say too much.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Sirius burst angrily into the common room, which was really quite an accomplishment, as it was nearly impossible to climb through the portrait hole in a bursting manner. James and Lily, who were sitting together in front of the fire, looked up at him.

“Ah, hello, Padfoot,” said James, grinning. “Had a good Christmas?”

“You know perfectly well how my Christmas was, as I spent it with you!” Sirius snapped.

“I take it the rest of your holidays weren’t wonderful, then,” observed Lily.

“My holidays were fine,” Sirius conceded sourly, throwing himself into the chair next to Lily. “It was what was waiting for me at the end of them!”

“I know what you mean, mate,” said James sympathetically. “School is always so much harder after the holidays. But we’ll be finished with it in June.”

“It wasn’t bloody school!” snapped Sirius.

“What then?” questioned Lily.

“Hector Freemonte!” said Sirius angrily.

“Oh,” interjected Lilac Brown, a very pretty sixth year, who was sitting nearby. She gave Sirius a brilliant smile. “Well I don’t know why that would be so horrible. Isn’t he that good-looking Hufflepuff pre “”

Sirius silenced her with a look.

“Lilac, maybe this isn’t the best time,” said Lily gently.

Lilac saw the look on Sirius’s face, nodded in agreement, and quickly retreated.

“So you ran into Hector?” Lily questioned, turning back to Sirius.

“Yes,” he told her with mock cheerfulness, “and he and Jocelyn are now having a lovely little chat in the Transfiguration corridor.”

Comprehension dawned across Lily’s face.

“Ah,” she said in understanding.

James buried his face in his hands.

“You bloody idiot,” he muttered, his voice muffled through his fingers. “I told you “!”

“You think I don’t feel stupid enough!” Sirius snapped. He stood. “I’m going up to the dormitory to “”

No!” said James sharply, looking up. “You’re not using that to get back at her! Don’t look at me like that, you know perfectly well what I’m talking about, and I told you no! I absolutely forbid it!”

“And I suppose you’re going to stop me!” challenged Sirius.

“Yeah, I am,” snarled James.

“My own mother couldn’t keep me in my house, you’re certainly not going to stop me from hunting down Bell “” Sirius stopped abruptly, looking at Lily, who was frowning at him.

“Hunting down who, Sirius?” she asked him quietly.

“No one,” he said quickly.

“Does Jocelyn know you’re hunting down Bell No One Lestrange?” asked Lily sarcastically.

“Of course she doesn’t know!” James answered for Sirius. “That’s why I’m forbidding him to do it! Sirius, I won’t let you do it until you tell her the truth!”

“Tell who the truth?” said a very sweet voice from behind Sirius, and they all jumped. Jocelyn had just entered the portrait hole.

James leaned back in his chair and folded his arms. For a moment he and Sirius glared at each other.

“Well, go on Padfoot,” James said finally, gesturing to him.

Sirius turned slowly toward Jocelyn.

“Let’s go for a walk,” he said roughly, without looking at her.

She didn’t answer, simply turned around and went right back through the portrait hole again. Sirius followed her. James and Lily looked at each other.

“I suppose that was a bit harsh,” said Lily quietly. “We really should have let him do it his way.”

“And let Jocelyn find out by herself?” James snapped, and then buried his face in his hands again.

Lily rose and sat down on the armrest of James’s chair, put her arms around him, and rested her cheek on the top of his head.

“It’s hard, isn’t it?” she said quietly.

“What?” he muttered.

“Girls,” she said simply, “complicating your friendship.”

James looked up in some surprise.

“I’ve never thought of you as a complication, Lily,” he told frankly.

She leaned down and kissed him.

“I know,” she smiled. “But that doesn’t stop me from being one. After all, it’s different going from playing pranks to pursuing girls, isn’t it?”

“I don’t know, I’ve been doing both for years,” said James, grinning slightly, and Lily giggled.

“Maybe that’s the problem then,” she said after a moment, more soberly. “You’ve spent so long trying to win me that you don’t know what to do now that you have.”

James frowned at her.

“I’d rather figure it out than never have had the challenge,” he reminded her and she smiled.

“I know,” she said quietly. “But is it enough?”

“Is what enough?” he asked sharply.

“Is it enough of a challenge? Are you sure you don’t need something else to try to win now? Another cause to devote your time to?”

“Not everyone is like Sirius, Lily,” James reminded her sternly.

Lily looked at him contemplatingly.

“No, I don’t think they are,” she agreed. “But even people like you and me don’t like sitting around waiting for things to happen. It’s not natural.”

“There’s a difference between ‘waiting around’, as you call it, and going out and looking for death,” James pointed out.

Lily gave him a hard look.

“Sirius is your best mate,” she reminded him. “Don’t you think he’s being even a little brave?”

“Stupidity is often mistaken as bravery,” said James harshly.

Lily smiled sadly at him.

“You’re scared for him, aren’t you?” she asked quietly.

James stared at the fire.

“More than I can say,” he whispered.


A/N: Hey guys! Wasn’t this chapter great? More Hector time! *grins evilly* *prepares for onslaught of angry reviews* *puts Hector into hiding in case any angry readers decide to attempt murdering him*
A Shattered Struggle by trinsy
“Well, that’s an excellent use of your time!” said Jocelyn sarcastically.

Sirius gave a frustrated sigh.

“Jocelyn, don’t “”

“You told me to get a flat in London!” Jocelyn continued, more to herself than to him, as she paced up down the corridor. “I can’t believe I let you talk me into getting a flat in London just so you could hunt her down!”

“That wasn’t the only “”

She turned on him.

“Just answer me one thing: Were you planning on ever telling me your plan, or did you only do it because James told you to?”

“Well of course I was going to tell you!” cried Sirius indignantly. She gave him a hard look. “Eventually,” he added finally, without looking at her.

“Right, okay,” she muttered, turning away from him. “Well, I think I’ve had enough exercise for one evening, don’t you?”

She began to walk down the corridor.

“Jocelyn!” he called, running to keep up with her.

She turned back toward him.

“Sirius, why couldn’t you just tell me?” she demanded.

“You told me love wasn’t being stupid “”

“Well it’s not being secretive either!” she snapped.

Sirius flared up at once.

“I just want you to feel safe “!”

“No, you want to feel like you’re doing something!” she corrected. “You always like to be where the action is! That night in Hogsmeade “ you loved that, didn’t you?”

“I didn’t like what came out of it “!”

“But you like fighting!”

“Well I don’t like hiding!”

“But hiding and not fighting aren’t necessarily the same thing, Sirius,” she whispered. For a moment they stood in silence, neither looking at the other.

“I can’t just wait around for something to happen,” said Sirius finally. He put his hand under her chin and raised her head up so he could look her in the eyes. “I’m not like you, Jocelyn,” he whispered.

She dropped her eyes back toward the floor.

“I know,” she said softly. “I always knew you’d want to be in the thick of the battle… in my heart.”

“I’m not trying to be heroic,” Sirius muttered.

“Well that’s the mark of a true hero, isn’t it?” said Jocelyn, smiling sadly.

For a moment they gazed into each other’s eyes. Then Sirius saw something in Jocelyn’s flicker and die. She jerked her face out of his hand and looked back down at the floor.

“Look, I’m not going to stop you,” she said, speaking very quickly as though every word were causing her pain. “But I’m not going to help you, and “” she looked up at him and their eyes met ““ and I’m not going to be happy about it.”

Sirius had a momentary struggle with himself as he gazed at her.

“I didn’t expect you to be,” he said finally, very quietly.

She backed away from him, nodding slowly, her eyes shining with tears. Then she turned and fled down the corridor away from him.

Sirius gazed at the spot where she had disappeared and gave a heavy sigh. He had lost the struggle, he admitted to himself. He, Sirius Black, for the first time in his life, had been defeated.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“Is it just me, or does Sirius use the library a lot on weekends?” Peter questioned about a month later, as he, Remus, James, Lily, and Jocelyn sat together by the fire in the common room. Remus and James were playing a game of wizard’s chess, while Lily and Jocelyn read in two of the most comfortable chairs.

At Peter’s question, Jocelyn stiffened slightly. James simply rolled his eyes.

“How thick are you, Wormtail?” he said impatiently. “Sirius isn’t at the library, as we all bloody well know! Knight to F-6.” The last command was directed at his chessmen.

“He’s not?” said Peter, sounding surprised. “But he told us that’s where he was going.”

“He lied,” said Remus simply. “Queen to F-6. Check.”

James swore quietly as Remus’s queen dragged his knight off the chessboard.

“Where is he, then?” Peter demanded as soon as the queen had returned to her square.

“In London,” James answered shortly. “King to H-7.”

Remus gave a small smile.

“Bad move, Prongs.”

“I didn’t have much of a choice, your bishop was covering the other space,” James snapped.

“Castle to C-7,” said Remus triumphantly. “Check.”

James swore again.

“Why is Sirius in London?” Peter questioned.

“Research,” replied James vaguely, examining the chessboard closely. “King to G-8.”

“Research for what?” Peter persisted.

Jocelyn had become so rigid she could have been a statue of herself. Remus was surveying the chessboard with a smile.

“Hunting down Bellatrix Lestrange,” he answered absently. “Bishop to C-4.” He looked up at James, and grinned. “Checkmate.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


It was Lily who first said something about the change. Before Christmas, Jocelyn was always with the Marauders. After Christmas, she was always with Hector.

“Want to work on our Potions homework together?” Lily asked Jocelyn a few days after James and Remus’s chess game.

“I’m studying with Hector in the library,” Jocelyn answered coolly, without looking at her.

“Seem to be doing a lot of that lately, don’t you?” Lily observed sardonically. “Studying with Hector must really be improving your grades.”

“Yes, it is,” said Jocelyn stiffly.

Lily rolled her eyes.

“Come off it, Joce’, your grades don’t need improving! What’s really going on?”

“We can all use improvement,” answered Jocelyn evasively.

“Jocelyn, if this is because of Sirius “!”

“It’s not “!”

“Of course it is!” snarled Lily. “I’ve watched you two since the holidays ended, you won’t even look at each other!”

“That’s not “!” Jocelyn began, but Lily cut her off again.

“And you barely talk to any of the rest of them anymore, not even James at Quidditch practice or Remus in Transfiguration! You barely talk to me anymore!”

“That’s because “!”

“It’s because you’re with Hector all the time!” Lily was shouting now, her anger and frustration at Sirius and Jocelyn finally getting the better of her. “We can’t go anywhere nowadays without running into him! And we can’t do anything together because you’re always doing it with him!”

Jocelyn swelled indignantly.

“Let’s not mention that you’re always going off with James!” she retorted, raising her voice to match Lily’s volume.

“No, Jocelyn, it’s not the same thing! James and I acknowledge there are other people in this castle!”

“Barely!” sneered Jocelyn. “Tell me, Lils, how much actual patrolling did you get done last night?”

“More than the actual studying you do with Hector, I’m sure!” screamed Lily derisively.

Jocelyn grabbed the water jug on her bedside table and hurled it at Lily as hard as she could. Lily jumped out of the way and it shattered gloriously against the stone wall into a million tiny pieces. For a moment Jocelyn looked at Lily, her face filled with hate, or horror, or agony, or perhaps all three, Lily couldn’t tell; then she snatched up her book bag and yanked open the door. Lily thought she heard a sob before it slammed.
I Didn’t by trinsy
Author’s Note: Okay you guys, I get the point, you all hate Hector. But you know what’s absolutely brilliant? In the beginning I agreed with you all. But now every time someone tells me how much they loathe, despise, and abhor Hector, I grow fonder of him (btw as_the_7thmonth_dies, his eyes {and to clarify, only his eyes} belong to an old crush of mine, and they are very nice!). I am actually quite pleased with and proud of him. Now before you hurl a torrent of abuse at me for this statement, let me explain: Hector is, by far, the character who is most obedient to me. By which I mean he does exactly what I want him to. I am extremely proud of this. So you may all hate him “ in fact, I encourage you to “ but I will always find him one of my favorite characters. Peace out. ~ Trinsy


Snow was still swirling around the castle, sending icy drafts down certain corridors. These chills were nothing, however, to the morose coldness with which the Marauders, Lily, and Jocelyn now regarded each other.

Valentine’s day had come and gone, and as it had been a rather grim holiday, even for James and Lily, all six were quite glad it was past.

The Marauders’ illegal sprees into Hogsmeade were now things of the past. James wanted to spend his weekends with Lily, and Sirius was always in London. In fact, the only weekend Sirius had not spent in London had been when there was a full moon, and he had stayed behind purely out of loyalty to Remus.

Jocelyn hadn’t spoken to Sirius since the last day of the holidays, but she rarely spoke to any of them now. When both James and Remus had attempted to express concern for her, she had deflected them coldly.

“What Sirius does with his time and money is his business,” she told them, though she was unable to keep a note of bitterness out of her voice. “I honestly couldn’t care less.”

“We don’t care what you think about Sirius,” said James in frustration.

“We just want to make sure you’re all right,” Remus explained gently.

“I’m fine,” Jocelyn insisted. “Now I’ve got to go to the library. I’ll see you both at dinner.”

They had not seen her until lessons the next morning, and since then she had become even more distant than before.

“I don’t know what you expected,” snapped Lily, when they told her about their encounter. “Jocelyn’s about as talkative nowadays as flobberworm. Pass me that rune dictionary, would you, Remus?”

Remus handed it to her, looking grim.

“Padfoot is really crossing the line,” he muttered to James as they readied for bed that night. Sirius had left for London that afternoon, as it was Friday; Peter was already asleep.

“I know, mate,” James sighed, looking just as grim as his friend. “But I’ve been trying to talk to him for weeks, and it’s just no use. The only way to get him to stop hunting Bellatrix is to kill him.”

“And yet, somehow, I don’t think that would make Jocelyn go back to normal,” noted Remus, the corners of his lips twitching in spite of himself.

“Probably not,” agreed James, who was obviously not amused. “If I wasn’t so afraid of “” he broke off, looking awkward.

“Of reliving October,” Remus finished shrewdly.

James nodded. He didn’t think he could bear not being able to talk to Sirius again.

“No, I don’t want to either, Prongs,” Remus sighed. “Not that this is much better,” he added bitterly.

James sat heavily on his bed and buried his face in his hands. When he finally lifted his head again, he looked, if possible, grimmer than before, but also oddly determined.

“We haven’t tried reasoning with her yet,” he said slowly.

Remus frowned.

“Sorry?”

“I said we haven’t tried reasoning with Jocelyn,” James repeated.

“What d’you call what we just did last night?” Remus demanded.

“Oh, that!” said James scornfully. “That wasn’t reasoning, that was “ that was prying!”

Remus actually laughed.

“Prying?” he snorted.

“Shut up and hear me out!” snapped James. “I’m talking about reasoning, trying to “”

“Trying to get her to stop hanging around with Freemonte,” finished Remus, becoming sober again. “Yeah, good luck with that, Prongs!”

But James was so determined to try the next time he got an opportunity that nothing Remus said could dissuade him. However, an opportunity did not present itself for several weeks, and James had nearly forgotten his resolution about a month later, as he, Lily, Remus, Peter, and, miraculously, Sirius and Jocelyn, all sat together in the common room, working on homework.

“Er “ Hogsmeade is this weekend.” Lily hesitantly broke the silence.

Remus’s head jerked up. He looked wary.

“How “ how nice,” commented James, trying to keep his voice light, so as not to betray how uncomfortable Lily’s statement made him. He wondered why she had brought it up.

“I suppose you two will go together,” said Remus, trying not to sound awkward, and failing miserably.

“Suppose so,” agreed James, still feeling uncomfortable.

“Lovely. It’s settled then,” smiled Lily.

James breathed a silent sigh of relief.

But Lily had spoken too soon. Remus was looking between Sirius and Jocelyn, who had both been staring determinedly at their homework throughout the entire conversation.

“I suppose the rest of us will go together, then,” he said slowly, giving Sirius a piercing look.

There was a very pregnant pause while everyone looked at Sirius, and Sirius avoided all of their eyes.

“I’m going up to London this weekend,” he said finally, speaking to his Potions essay instead of to them.

“And I can’t come with you either, Remus,” said Jocelyn immediately, and very brightly. “I’m going with Hector.”

Sirius’s hand clenched, but he said nothing. Lily grimaced, and Remus looked pained, but they also held their tongues. Everyone began to go back to their homework.

“I wish you wouldn’t go with Freemonte,” said James, very abruptly.

Everyone jumped. Jocelyn looked around at James, frowning.

“What’s it to you?” she demanded, her eyes narrowing.

“Well “ er,” said James awkwardly, waving under her gaze. “Well “ if you want to know the truth, I’m sick of Hector,” he said, very quickly.

“Sick of him?” Jocelyn repeated, sounding surprised.

Lily could have told James not say what he did next.

“Yes,” he said, more confidently. “You’re always hanging around him. It’s like you don’t even care about your old mates anymore.”

“What business is it of yours who I hang around?” Jocelyn demanded loudly.

Lily looked at James, silently willing him to let it go, but James wasn’t looking at her. He was staring incredulously at Jocelyn.

“I’m one of your best mates!” he pointed out. “And I think “!”

“I don’t care!” Jocelyn shouted, slamming shut her copy of Advanced Potion Making. “I don’t care!” she repeated, standing up and advancing toward him. She looked almost wild.

A flicker of fear appeared in James’s eyes as she advanced on him, but he did not move or look away from her.

“I don’t care what you think!” Jocelyn bellowed, and now she definitely looked animalistic. “I don’t give a damn what you think! Or Lily, or Remus, or Peter!” she added, looking around at each of them as she said their names.

For a moment she looked at all of them, her eyes blazing, and they stared back, silent and fearful. Then,

“You forgot Sirius,” Peter reminded her.

Jocelyn turned to Peter, who cowered, but the emotion in her eyes was not anger, but rather something he could not read. She looked at him for a long moment, and then her eyes moved to Sirius, who looked up at her. For the first time since the last day of the holidays, their eyes locked.

“No,” she whispered, staring into his eyes, “I didn’t.”

Sirius simply stared at her. Finally she nodded very slowly and, without a word, turned on her heel and disappeared up the staircase of the girls’ dormitory. Everyone stared after her, everyone except Remus, who had been staring fixedly at Sirius throughout the entire scene. As Sirius’s eyes returned to his homework, Remus distinctly saw a tear slip down his cheek and drop silently onto the parchment.
Enough by trinsy
Author’s Note: Okay guys, I take full responsibility for this, but I think some of you are kind of missing the point. Hector is not what is tearing the Marauders and Jocelyn and Lily apart. That is a surface issue. Bellatrix isn’t the problem either. Again, surface issue. There are deeper things going on here than some flirting with another guy and a boyhood hate of an evil cousin. It’s completely my fault if you haven’t had this conveyed to you. What I want you guys to understand is that it is Sirius who is the problem. I want you to realize that it is Sirius’s hate and unquenchable thirst for revenge that is ripping the six of them apart. Or, as Jocelyn said, it’s his love of fighting. This is the concept I was trying to convey to you in the opening scene of Chapter 23 (if you don’t remember what happened, please go back and reread it). At the end of it I stated that Sirius had lost a struggle. The struggle was to overcome his desire for revenge so he could be with Jocelyn. He lost. That defeat is the problem here. Jocelyn retaliated by going to Hector, and you all know what happened from there, but it all stems from that defeat. So as you read this, please keep in mind that isn’t Hector’s fault; it’s not even really Bellatrix’s fault (well, it is, but that’s just too complicated to get into); it is Sirius’s fault, or, more accurately, Sirius’s nature’s fault. I apologize for not making this clearer. Carry on… ~ Trinsy


“It’s official,” Lily announced the next morning as she breakfasted with the Marauders. Jocelyn had not come down from Gryffindor tower yet.

“What’s official?” asked James disinterestedly.

“Jocelyn and Hector,” Lily answered.

These three simple words produced a set of rather odd reactions from the Marauders. Remus set his goblet on the table with rather more force than he normally did, Peter let his fork clatter to the floor, James choked on a piece of bacon, and Sirius leapt to his feet, his face livid. Lily surveyed them all with a look that simultaneously displayed boredom and disgust.

“They’re not going out, or anything like that,” she assured them in response to their dumbstruck and angry faces, her tone matching her expression.

Sirius immediately sat again, his face stony. James was taking deep, steadying breaths.

“I simply meant I am officially sick of them,” Lily continued. “Every time we leave lessons we run into Hector. Jocelyn can’t study with me because she’s studying with Hector. And all I can ever get out of her nowadays is ‘Hector this,’ and ‘Hector that’. It’s driving me mad. You’d think he was the only person in the entire school. Sirius, you’re purple,” she added, catching sight of his face. “That can’t be healthy.”

Sirius’s face had, in fact, gone through a rapid succession of color changes before Lily had noticed.

“I’m fine,” he growled. “I’m fine. I’m “”

But just exactly what Sirius was they never found out, because both James and Remus chose that exact moment to leap to their feet and start shouting at him.

“This is all your fault!” Remus began angrily.

“If you had just listened to me!” James was yelling at the same time.

“If you didn’t spend all your time in that stupid flat “!”

“I told you “!”

“You’re always gone, it’s no wonder “!”

““ and this is all for a worm of person “!”

““ can’t you even spend one weekend “?”

““ is she worth this, is Bellatrix worth this “?”

“ENOUGH!” Sirius bellowed. He was on his feet, though he couldn’t remember ever standing.

James and Remus stopped and glared at him, their breathing heavy.

“Enough,” Sirius repeated, much more quietly. For a moment he looked around at all of them, and in that instant only Lily caught the flicker of pain that appeared in his eyes. Then, without another word, he turned on his heel and strode out of the Great Hall.

Every eye in the hall was now on Lily and the other three Marauders. James and Remus were glaring stonily at their plates, their fists clenching and unclenching. Peter was nervously avoiding everyone’s eyes. Lily, throughout the entire episode, had complacently continued to eat her toast. Now, however, she was gazing at the doors Sirius had exited through.

“Yes,” she said, so quietly no one else heard her words. “It’s official.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The Marauders’ tempers, once only inflamed by Severus Snape and other unsavory Slytherins, were easily ignited in the weeks following their outburst in the Great Hall. Even Remus, who usually got on very well with everyone, was extremely tetchy. Lilac Brown, who kept a running tally of such things, counted no less than seven arguments between Sirius and James, and three between Sirius and Remus, in just one day alone. James in particular seemed to take an almost vindictive pleasure in reminding Sirius of his failure to keep Jocelyn at every opportunity.

“I’m thinking about starting a club,” he announced in Charms a few weeks later. He absentmindedly waved his wand, and accidentally transfigured his inkbottle into a teacup.

“Really?” said Lily uninterestedly, whose mood was also becoming fouler as the weeks progressed. “Would this be the I’m Failing Potions Club or the I Need to Pay More Attention in Charms Club?”

“How about the I Tutor My Girlfriend in Transfiguration Club?” James suggested pointedly.

Lily grinned and kissed him on the cheek.

“Point taken. So what is this club you’re thinking about starting?” she questioned.

“The I’m Sick of Hector Freemonte Club,” James declared, and Lily giggled.

“I’d join.”

“What about you, mate?” James questioned, looking over at Sirius.

Sirius was staring across the classroom at Jocelyn, who was sitting with Hector. As James addressed him he started.

“Wha “?”

“I said, ‘Do you want to join the I’m Sick of Hector Freemonte Club?’” James repeated. He sounded almost malicious.

Sirius didn’t answer. His gaze had strayed back to Jocelyn and Hector.

“What about the I’m Sick of Sirius Black Going Up to London Every Weekend to Plot Revenge Club?” said Remus very quietly, and so suddenly he made them all jump. He looked coldly at Sirius and continued, “I think that one would be a winner.”

“Lay off me, Moony,” growled Sirius.

“Lay off Bellatrix then,” Remus snapped uncharacteristically. “Can’t you even stay here one weekend, Sirius? Just one!”

“That’s one more weekend she’s alive, Moony!”

“It doesn’t make any difference, you’re not making progress, I know you’re not!” Remus cried angrily.

He had touched a nerve. Sirius leaped to his feet so fast he overturned his inkbottle. His eyes were blazing, and his wand was pointed straight at Remus’s heart.

“You don’t know what kind of progress I’m making!” he snarled.

“Well I know what kind of progress you’re not making!” Remus snapped, jerking his head in the direction of Jocelyn and Hector.

Sirius convulsively gripped his wand.

“What’s it to you?” he hissed angrily. “What business is it of yours? How does it affect you?”

“It affects me a great deal, Padfoot, as you’re proving at this very moment by your reaction to this conversation,” Remus answered evenly, his face stony.

“Shut up!” Sirius roared, and everyone in the class jumped. “SHUT “ UP!”

“Mr. Black, please!” squeaked Professor Flitwick in alarm, but Sirius wasn’t listening.

“You don’t know what you’re talking about! You’ve never had to deal with this! No one would ever give you the chance to deal with it!”

“Sirius!” said James warningly, placing a hand on the now very pale Remus’s shoulder and half-rising from his seat.

“Always the questions of trust and safety with you! Never letting anyone get close enough!”

“Sirius!”
Jocelyn had gotten to her feet and was advancing toward him.

But Sirius was no longer aware of what he was doing. All he knew was that he wanted to shout and keep shouting, to hurt someone, to make someone feel even some small part of the agony within him.

“You’re even more ignorant than Peter here! You’re convinced that no one will have you because you’re ‘Too dangerous!’ Isn’t that what you’re always saying?”

“Sirius!”
Jocelyn shouted.

“YOU DON’T HAVE A CLUE!” Sirius bellowed, no longer even really knowing who he was shouting at. “YOU DON’T HAVE A CLUE WHAT I’M GOING THROUGH!”

“SIRIUS!”


And, quite suddenly, her hands were cupping his face, pulling it downward so she could look him in the eyes.

“Sirius,” she said, quieter now, gentler, almost a whisper, “I love you.”

And without considering the fact that they were in a classroom full of students; without pausing to think that he had just been shouting; without even really being aware of what he was doing, Sirius kissed her. Her arms wound up around his neck of their own accord, her mouth opened, and she kissed him back. It meant nothing and everything all at once to Sirius, and he knew, somehow, that it meant nothing and everything to her, but he didn’t care, there was something so freeing about kissing her now. He felt the tears on his cheeks before he realized he was crying, tasted the salt on her lips before he knew she was as well. Finally, Sirius didn’t know after how long, they broke apart. Through his blurred vision he stared into her own watery eyes.

“I can’t do this, Jocelyn,” he whispered.

“I know,” she responded.

But before Sirius could answer a cough broke the silence, and suddenly they both became aware of the entire Charms class staring at them.

“Sorry, Professor,” said Jocelyn quickly. Then, without even bothering to collect her things, she rushed out of the classroom. This time, however, something had changed. This time Sirius was in hot pursuit.
A Wholly Sweet Easter by trinsy
A/N: First, I’d like to say, “Thank you,” to all of you for the wonderful encouragement from the last chapter. I am rather proud of it, so it was great to hear how much all of you liked. Electronicquillster and Roommate, I’m so flattered that I induced screaming (oh, and Quillster, thanks for the invite to your funeral, it was quite lovely ;))! Anyway, on to the second order of business….
Apparently the Favorite Quote of Last Chapter: “Sirius, you’re purple,” she added, catching sight of his face. “That can’t be healthy.” I honestly didn’t expect that line to be so popular. I wrote it in a hurry, and I was just kind of like, “Oh yeah, that works, whatever, moving on,” and I think probably half of you told me that was your favorite quote. Hey, whatever works….
Finally, I know many of you will find this chapter a bit disappointing, but for the sake of the story this is how things had to go down. Whatever it is you want to find out… will be covered by the end the story….

I promise!



The Marauders were whole again. No one shouted at anyone; no one was malicious; and no one went up to London on weekends. They were, at last, after three terrible months, whole.

Of course, it had been rather awkward when they had been forced to explain to Professors McGonagall and Flitwick exactly what had happened during that memorable Charms class.

“Sirius has been under a lot of stress lately,” Jocelyn had provided, while Lily and the Marauders nodded fervently on either side of her.

“That does not excuse his conduct, Miss Black,” said Professor McGonagall severely. “Many of the students were very upset. Maria Brenham was particularly shaken,” she added, glaring at Sirius over her spectacles, as though Maria Brenham’s mental state were his responsibility.

“She was just upset Sirius didn’t kiss her,” Lily muttered under her breath, and the Marauders snorted.

“What was that, Miss Evans?” said McGonagall sharply.

“Nothing, Professor.”

McGonagall turned back to Sirius.

Why have you been under a lot of stress lately, Mr. Black?” she demanded.

The Marauders exchanged glances.

“Oh,” said Jocelyn quietly, realizing her mistake far too late.

“Family trouble,” Sirius answered emotionlessly, meeting McGonagall’s piercing gaze unblinkingly.

McGonagall frowned at him.

“I see,” she said finally. “Well you should have spoken to the Headmaster or one of the teachers, instead of alarming your classmates. Ten points from Gryffindor and detention.”

And with that they had been dismissed.

Even more awkward for Jocelyn, however, had been the unavoidable conversation she’d had with Hector the next day.

“It’s no more than I expected,” he said coldly, when she attempted to explain. There was a pause. Then, almost as if he couldn’t help himself, he blurted, “Seems a bit wrong, though, doesn’t it? I mean, he’s your cousin.”

“He’s not my brother,” Jocelyn answered in a steely voice.

Hector flinched. Jocelyn didn’t know it, but Sirius had said nearly the same thing many months earlier. For a moment Hector stared at the floor. Then he looked up at her.

“I do want you to be happy,” he whispered sincerely.

Jocelyn smiled at him.

“I know,” she said quietly. “You’ve been a good friend to me…. Far better than I deserve.”

“Hey, I’ll always be here if you “”

“I know,” she cut him off quickly. “Thanks.”

And giving him a swift kiss on the cheek, she left him.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


No one really knew what had happened between Sirius and Jocelyn after they had left the classroom. Sirius hadn’t even mentioned it to the other Marauders, and all Lily had been able to gather from Jocelyn was that the two had agreed to put the past behind them. However, James, Remus, Peter, and Lily were far too happy things were back to normal to pry about details.

The Easter holidays were very cheerful. Toffee-filled eggs were exchanged, butterbeer drunk, and Exploding Snap played well into the night. James and Jocelyn even managed to talk Sirius and Remus into playing two-on-two Quidditch. Lily and Peter had both declined due to fear of flying, though as Sirius had noted privately to Jocelyn, that was really no loss, as both were dreadful. Sirius and Remus were both tolerable, James was superb, and Jocelyn was horrible as Chaser, so the teams evened out quite nicely. All in all, they had quite an enjoyable holiday being deliciously lazy.

“But we do need to set aside time for homework,” Lily reminded them all a few days into the holidays. “And studying for our N.E.W.T.s.”

“I have better things to do than study for N.E.W.T.s,” yawned James.

“Like perfecting your chess skills,” smiled Remus, who had just spectacularly beaten James at chess for the seventh time in a row.

James glared at him.

“I don’t need to study for exams,” commented Sirius boredly. “I already know all that rubbish.”

“Really?” Lily was skeptical. “What is Golpalott’s Third Law?”

“Something we learned in sixth year that Slughorn was mad about,” Sirius answered promptly.

Lily passed him a copy of Advanced Potion Making, looking vindicated.

“And for future reference,” she added, “Golpalott’s Third Law states that the antidote for a “”

“Blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separate components,” Sirius finished, tossing the textbook she’d given him aside, and looking disgusted. “I was only joking, Lily.”

Lily retired to a corner, looking huffy, but she did not bother Sirius again. However, she did sweet-talk James into becoming a serious student, and they spent long hours in the library and corners of the common room together. Jocelyn often caught phrases like, “What is the advantage of using a nonverbal spell?” and, “List three of the dangers of human Transfiguration,” and noted to Sirius that, “They really are sickeningly sweet.”

Sirius eyed the couple with distaste.

“Homework,” he said with a shudder, “is not something I would term as, ‘sweet’.”

Jocelyn grinned, and kissed him.
Restless Abandon by trinsy
A/N: Hey guys! So sorry about the last chapter! I completely agree with all of you who said it wasn’t up to my usual standard, it really wasn’t, hopefully this one is better. Also, for those of you who were wondering, Hector does still have feelings for Jocelyn…. We’ll get more into that later. Oh, and after you read this chapter, please don’t kill me (you won’t ever find out what happens if you do!). ~ Trinsy


The weather had turned warmer. The sun shone brightly on the grounds and was reflected in the cool, shimmering lake. Summer was creeping closer to Hogwarts again. Jocelyn, Lily, and the Marauders couldn’t take advantage of the sunlight, however, for all six were now advising very hard for their N.E.W.T.s. The exams were a mere five weeks away, and even Sirius was seen opening textbooks and looking at old class notes.

“State one advantage of using a nonverbal spell,” James read off a note card during one of their group study sessions.

In answer Sirius quickly pulled out his wand, pointed it at James, and jerked it upward. For a few seconds James hung it midair, as though an invisible hook were dangling him by his ankle. Then Sirius jerked his wand downward, and James crashed back onto his armchair in a crumpled heap.

“Not quite the answer I think the examiners are looking for, but you got the basic concept,” James conceded in a muffled voice as he disentangled himself from his robes.

“These exams are driving me mad!” Sirius exclaimed, chucking his copy of An Advanced Guide to Transfiguration across the room, and scattering a group of third years. “And they haven’t even started yet!” He ran his hand distractedly through his hair. “I chose the wrong career. I should have tried to become Minister of Magic. Then I could make a law banning examinations.”

“The Ministry can’t interfere at Hogwarts,” snapped Jocelyn, who had been watching Sirius intently, and for some reason looked irritated. “At least not while Dumbledore is the headmaster.”

“I should have trained to become the next headmaster, then,” Sirius responded. “If I can’t save myself, I can at least protect my children. This is cruel and unusual punishment, this is.”

“Would you shut up?” demanded a very disgruntled looking fifth year from a cluster of chairs a few feet away, poking her head around the side of her armchair. “I’m trying to study for my O.W.L.s.”

“Do that, then,” Sirius snapped, “instead of bothering the rest of us.”

The fifth year gave him a dirty look, then disappeared behind her chair.

Lily, meanwhile, had summoned Sirius’s Transfiguration book from the other side of the room. Now she handed it to him.

“And try to avoid other students next time,” she added reprovingly.

Sirius took the book from her, opened it at random, glanced down at the page, and then cast the whole thing aside.

“It’s no use, Lily,” he sighed. “I can’t concentrate. I’m going up to bed.”

“Wait!” said James quickly, waving a note card at him.

Sirius paused.

“What?”

“What is the most basic form of human Transfiguration?”

A few seconds later, Sirius went up to bed, leaving Lily to deal with James’s now brilliantly scarlet eyebrows.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The next weekend was Hogsmeade, and as the Marauders were far too restless to get any sort of studying done, Lily agreed to trade in their books for butterbeer, and the six journeyed into the village together.

“We can’t stay long, though, I’ve got loads of homework,” Lily informed them all as they made their way down the path that led to the village.

You can’t stay long, then,” Sirius corrected.

“Don’t blame me when you’re up all night Sunday because you didn’t get your homework done over the weekend,” Lily shrugged.

“Don’t beg me for sweets because you were too busy studying to make it into Honeydukes,” Sirius retorted.

“There are more important things in life than sweets,” said Lily dismissively.

The two argued all the way to the Three Broomsticks, and it wasn’t long before everyone tired of the bickering, and the six agreed to split up. Peter and Remus headed off in the direction of Honeydukes, Lily and James made their way back to the castle, and Sirius and Jocelyn set off toward Zonko’s. For about half-an-hour, Sirius and Jocelyn browsed through the joke shop, Jocelyn carefully watching Sirius. It had not escaped her notice how restless he had been lately.

“You want to head back?” she asked him finally.

“I don’t want to do homework,” he answered.

Jocelyn gave him a hard look.

“Do you want to go to London?” she questioned, very quietly, looking at him very intently as she spoke.

Sirius started, but he did not deny the accusation. Jocelyn gave a sad smile, nodded at him, and pulled him out of the shop.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


They made their way back to the castle in silence, but a few meters inside the Hogwarts gates, Jocelyn stopped and turned to face him.

“Sirius,” she said quietly, “you’re not happy.”

He stared down at his shoe, which was scuffing the ground with its toe.

“I wanted to be,” he whispered finally, looking up at her.

“It’s not the same thing!” she answered, a bite of impatience in her voice.

Sirius flared up at once. For weeks he had been trying to kill his drive for revenge, for weeks he had felt it eating away at his insides, and now she was telling him it hadn’t even mattered.

“What do you want from me, Joce’?” he demanded. “I gave up my hunt for Bellatrix and now you’re not even happy about it?”

“No, because you’re not!”

Sirius let out a growl of frustration and kicked a stone lying by his foot. It bounced down the path and landed with a soft thud on the grass.

“I told you I don’t like waiting around!” he reminded her.

“Then why are you?”

“Because that’s what you asked me to do!”

“I never demanded you stop!”

Sirius turned on her, letting out a terrifying snarl. He brought his face so close to hers they were practically touching.

“What “ do “ you “ want “ from “ me?” he hissed.

Jocelyn stared into his eyes, which were so close she could have counted his eyelashes, but her attention was on the eyes themselves, which were blazing with fury. The look she returned, however, was not of fear, but of sadness.

“I hoped it wouldn’t come to this,” she whispered, more to herself than to him. She took a deep, shuddering breath. “I want you to “” she swallowed, hard ““ I want us to acknowledge the gap that has grown between us,” she finished very quickly. She looked away from him as she spoke. It sounded as though every word were causing her pain.

Sirius pulled back a few inches, frowning at her.

“So you want us to lie to ourselves and to each other!” he accused.

Her head snapped up.

“I want us to do the only thing possible, Sirius, the situation has gone beyond the point of honesty!”

Sirius inhaled very sharply. He looked, for a long moment, into her eyes, which were blazing, but with pain or anger he couldn’t tell.

“Jocelyn,” he said quietly, “I can’t “”

“I know,” she whispered, but her voice was very hard. “Look, Sirius, I love you… you know that! But I can’t keep torturing myself like this.”

They looked at each other, and he tried to search her eyes, but, like her voice, she had hardened them. He had, just as he had had the last day of the winter holidays, an internal struggle with himself, but he lost it much more quickly this time. He wasn’t really sure if he had wanted to overcome it at all. He looked beyond her, in the direction of London, and she nodded.

“Go,” she whispered.

His eyes snapped onto hers again. Slowly, he backed away from her. Then he turned, and she watched as he made his way along the path to the gate. There, just outside of it, he turned on his heel and, with a loud crack!, vanished from her sight.
Going After by trinsy
The noise in the common room escalated as Jocelyn climbed through the portrait hole.

“SHUT UP, ALL OF YOU!” Lily bellowed, looking up irritably from a gigantic textbook and sending a large pile of notes scattering across the table in front of her. “Some of us are studying! I’m Head Girl, and I swear the next person who causes a disruption will be in detention faster than you can say ‘exam’!” She looked around threateningly, and spotted Jocelyn. “Oh, it’s you, Joce’. Has the library closed already?”

Jocelyn nodded. It was the evening before their first N.E.W.T., and all the seventh years were on edge.

“Well, I suppose we’d better get to bed then,” Lily sighed, gathering up her scattered notes in a defeated sort of way. “These” “ she waved the notes at Jocelyn “ “won’t do me any good if I’m sleep-deprived.”

Jocelyn nodded again. Lily had begun sweeping books into her bag. She accidentally knocked her Transfiguration book off the table, and Jocelyn caught it. Lily didn’t seem to notice.

“Er “ where are the boys?” Jocelyn questioned hesitantly.

“Oh, they went up to bed about an hour ago,” answered Lily absently, cramming some parchment into her bag, and looking around the table for anything she might have missed. “They said it was too stressful to study with me, apparently I was making them nervous.” She checked her bag, then looked around the table again. “Have you seen my Transfiguration book?”

Jocelyn mutely handed it to her.

“Thanks.” Lily started to try to ram it into her already over packed bag, then, still bent over the bag, she lifted her head and seemed to look properly at Jocelyn for the first time. “Sirius was with them,” she said quietly, giving Jocelyn a searching look.

“Well, he should be,” Jocelyn casually responded, avoiding her friend’s eyes. “I mean, he’s sitting the exams just like the rest of us, isn’t he?”

Lily frowned, and there was a pause while she looked probingly at Jocelyn, and Jocelyn stared at the fire. Then Lily straightened up.

“I suppose so,” she shrugged.

Jocelyn visibly relaxed. No one knew why she had come back alone from Hogsmeade that day, least of all Lily and the Marauders.

“I suppose Sirius just got tired of sitting around,” Remus had sighed, as he James, Lily, and Peter all sat around the common room one Friday evening, discussing their two friends.

“Well that’s obvious,” James had snapped, running a hand through his hair. He looked extremely careworn. Sirius’s recommencement of his weekend escapades to London had James worried. No one knew it, but James laid awake on Sunday evenings, listening for the door to open and Sirius to come in. James’s worst fear was that one night the door wouldn’t open…. That one night Sirius wouldn’t be able to return from London…. That one night he might even be “ But here James abruptly stopped his thoughts. The very idea was unbearable.

“Still, at least it’s not like last time,” Lily had said quietly.

The three boys had stared at her.

How is it not like last time?” James had demanded.

“Well, Jocelyn’s not throwing things at me, for starters,” Lily had pointed out. “And Sirius isn’t yelling at Remus in Charms class, either.”

She was right, of course. Perhaps it had something to do with the frenzy of exams, but Jocelyn and Sirius’s estrangement was not as tense or hostile as their previous one had been. There was no shouting, no cold looks, no real tension felt by the other Marauders. They hadn’t become virtual enemies, as they had been after Christmas. They simply weren’t really friends any longer. They rarely spoke to one another. When they did they were excessively polite, almost formal. The only real similarity between this separation and the original one was that Jocelyn had taken to studying with Hector again.

She had had a very awkward conversation with him, where she had made it clear that she could hang around with him now, while somehow managing to explain nothing to him about why she was no longer hanging around with Sirius. When he had attempted to question her, she had deflected him.

“We realized our lives aren’t going in the same direction,” she’d said vaguely. For example, in a year’s time I’m likely to actually have a life, which, if he keeps this Bellatrix hunt up, is more than can be said for him, she’d added, but silently.

And this rather evasive explanation had evidently satisfied Hector, because he hadn’t questioned her about it again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The morning of the first N.E.W.T., all of the seventh years loaded their plates, but almost none of them actually ate anything. Instead, they spent most of breakfast speed-reading textbooks, reciting spells and their effects under their breath, or attempting to perform various enchantments. Some, like Lily, looked nearly frantic, but most, like Peter, simply looked as though they were about to be violently sick. Maria Brenham burst into tears after only five minutes, when she failed to transfigure her knife into a rose, but by the end of breakfast she was not the only seventh year to have become hysterical. They were an exceedingly frazzled lot when they were ushered in to sit the written portion of their first N.E.W.T, and by the end of the week more than one person had had to visit Madame Pomfrey to receive a Calming Draught.

Lily annoyed them all at dinner the next day, after they had taken their Potions examination.

“Glad that’s over,” she sighed, helping herself to some steak and kidney pie. “Although I don’t think I really explained antidotes properly, and I definitely didn’t go into enough detail about Euphoric Elixir. I should have mentioned that if you add a sprig of peppermint “”

“LILY!” exclaimed James irritably, who had had no idea peppermint had anything to do with Euphoric Elixir. “I don’t want to take the exams again, thanks!”

“Sorry,” Lily muttered.

But the next evening, after they had completed their Charms exam, she started again.

“Did any of you get question 17b, where they asked what the most common liquids the Refilling Charm is used for are?” she asked them. “I could only remember three, but I know I read in one of my notes that there are four, and “”

But she caught the look on the others’ faces, and began eating her beef stew extremely quickly.

The evening after their last examination, the Gryffindor seventh years celebrated in the common room, but Lily, who felt very drained, retreated to her room to read in peace. She had just opened her book and was just settling in to read, when, to her immense surprise, the door opened and Jocelyn entered. The expression she wore was one Lily had never seen before, a cross between grimness and resignation. She crossed to her bed and fell onto it. Lily stared at her.

“What’s up with you?”

Jocelyn looked over at Lily, her face still that wearing that strange expression.

“Hector asked me out,” she said quietly.

Lily wasn’t surprised. She had been expecting it since Sirius had started going to London again.

“And you said yes,” she said softly. It was a statement, not a question.

Jocelyn nodded. She looked extremely bleak.

“What about Sirius?” asked Lily quietly.

Jocelyn sat up very abruptly.

“What about him?” she demanded, very sharply.

Lily gave Jocelyn a hard look.

“You tell me!”

Jocelyn glared at her.

“Sirius doesn’t have to do with this, Lils,” she growled.

Lily saw the warning signs, but she didn’t heed them.

“Really?”

“Why is this suddenly so important?” Jocelyn demanded. “Why do you suddenly care what’s going on between me and Sirius?”

“Because you’re both my mates, and “”

“Nothing’s happened!” Jocelyn snarled, now sitting bolt upright.

“Why are you so angry?” questioned Lily calmly.

“Because I’ve had a very trying day, and suddenly you’re harassing me about all this!” Jocelyn shouted, half rising from the bed.

Lily sat calmly, contemplating her friend.

“You know what?” she said finally. “I don’t think that’s true. I think what’s really making you angry is that you’re disappointed he’s given up on you.”

Jocelyn mouthed at her soundlessly.

“I “ Hector “ what?” she said jerkily.

Lily gazed at her sadly.

“That’s the real reason you went and found Hector in the first place, isn’t it?” she said quietly. “You were trying to get Sirius to stop hunting Bellatrix and come back to you, weren’t you? Only it didn’t work. A few weeks of tranquility and then he left again. That’s why you’re angry at him, isn’t it? That’s why you said ‘yes’ to Hector.”

Jocelyn opened her mouth to deny this “ but suddenly dozens of memories were assailing her: Sirius making Narcissa’s stuffed dog explode when they were six, because Narcissa had stolen Jocelyn’s toy broomstick; Sirius introducing her to Lily; Sirius begging her to come to Hogsmeade in third year; Sirius levitating her trunk at the train station; Sirius telling McGonagall he and James were uncontrollable; Sirius agreeing to help Lily and James get together, even though he didn’t want to; Sirius tipping James’s desk over; Sirius telling her about his time with Lily; Sirius pushing her behind him in Hogsmeade, the night the Death Eaters had attacked James; Sirius standing up for her in front of Narcissa; Sirius announcing to the entire Great Hall that he would kill Bella for murdering Vega; Sirius shouting at Remus; Sirius kissing her; Sirius telling her he loved her; Sirius telling her he’d die for her….

And she knew. She knew as clearly as if she had seen it written on the wall in front of her. She was in love with Sirius Black. Even after all they’d been through “ even after telling him to go “ she was still in love with him.

Only now it was too late, wasn’t it? Lily had just placed her finger on it. Sirius had given up on her. Now she had Hector. But she didn’t want Hector. All she really wanted “ all she’d ever really wanted “ was Sirius.

Lily had been watching Jocelyn as she processed all this, and now she spoke again.

“Jocelyn, remember that day you came back from Hogsmeade alone?”

Jocelyn looked up at her friend. How could she forget?

“Yes,” she said quietly.

“What happened?”

“I told him to leave.”

Lily started. She had always assumed it had been Sirius’s idea to leave. She worked hard to keep her voice even as she answered this statement.

You told him,” she said quietly.

“He wasn’t happy,” Jocelyn answered evenly.

“No, Jocelyn, but he was willing to stay!” Lily exploded. She expected Jocelyn to flare up at once, but she did not. The fight seemed to have left her, and this worried Lily.

“Do you remember that day we were studying for our N.E.W.T.s?” Jocelyn asked quietly. “And Sirius kept putting spells on James instead of answering the questions?”

Lily nodded slowly.

“I see your point.”

“It was better to let him leave,” Jocelyn whispered.

Lily frowned as a thought occurred to her.

“Why did he stay at all?” she questioned.

Jocelyn looked around at her very sharply.

“What?”

Lily didn’t hesitate for a moment. Looking Jocelyn straight in the eye, she asked the question she’d been longing to ask for weeks.

“What happened after that Charms class?”

Jocelyn looked away from her.

“I don’t really remember,” she answered quietly, and Lily knew she was being truthful. “There was a lot of crying, and a few ‘I knows’, but we never really talked it through. There was just this sort of … understanding.”

Lily nodded slowly.

“And then you let him go,” she whispered.

“I didn’t really have a choice,” Jocelyn answered. “I couldn’t, in good conscience, let him stay.”

Lily frowned. Something about that statement didn’t seem right.

“But you could, in good conscience, send him to his death?” she demanded.

And somewhere in Jocelyn’s memory a conversation she’d had many months before echoed in her ears again.

“I know it was Bella, Jocelyn. And I swear to Merlin, I’m going to kill her because of it!”
“And what if she kills you?”
“What?”
“What if you’re the one who ends up dead? You’re all I have left, what am I supposed to do then?” …
“If she’s going to kill me I’d rather have it be on my terms!”
“You don’t
have to be killed!”
“And, what? You want me to live the rest of my life in hiding, afraid of my filthy excuse for a cousin?
No!
“I want you to be
alive, Sirius! I don’t care what else happens as long as you’re alive!”

“No,” said Jocelyn quietly.

Lily frowned at her.

“What?”

“No,” Jocelyn repeated, louder now. “I can’t send him to his death.”

Lily stared at her friend. This wasn’t the reaction she had been expecting at all. She wasn’t even really sure what Jocelyn was talking about.

“I have to talk to him,” Jocelyn continued, speaking more to herself than to Lily. “I have to see him.”

She leaped off her bed and crossed to the door.

“Jocelyn,” said Lily, feeling definitely alarmed. “What “?”

But Jocelyn had already left the dormitory and was bounding down the stairs to the common room. She entered it and looked around. It was packed full of students celebrating the end of the term. She didn’t see Sirius or any of the other Marauders anywhere. She fought her way over to the boys’ staircase, and raced up the stairs to the Marauders’ dormitory three stairs at a time. She flung open their door, burst in, and looked around. James and Remus had both turned, startled, but Peter wasn’t anywhere in sight….

And neither was Sirius.

“Jocelyn!” Remus exclaimed, shooting a nervous glance at James, who was extremely pale. “What a “ er “ pleasant surprise! How were the exa “”

“Where’s Sirius?” Jocelyn demanded, cutting him off.

James and Remus exchanged looks.

“Er “” said Remus uncomfortably, “we don’t know, exactly.”

“Meaning he’s up in London trying to figure out how to find Bellatrix Lestrange,” said Jocelyn curtly. She had been expecting this.

James and Remus looked at each other again.

“Well “ er “ we think he probably started in London,” said James slowly, who clearly did not want to be having this conversation.

Jocelyn frowned as the full meaning of these words sank in.

“What do you mean by that?” she said quietly.

James winced as though she had struck him. Remus took a deep, shuddering breath and looked straight into her eyes. Jocelyn was reminded forcibly of Sirius right before he had told her that her father was dying, and suddenly she knew that, whatever Remus was going to say to her, she did not want to hear it.

“We think he found her, Jocelyn,” said Remus quietly, and beside him James cringed. “We think he went after her.”
Inscriptions by trinsy
For a moment Jocelyn and Remus simply stared into each other’s eyes. Then, without a word, Jocelyn turned on her heel and went back down the steps to the common room, then up the stairs her dormitory. James and Remus followed her, and when they were forced to stop at the foot of the girls’ staircase they called after her, but she ignored them. It wasn’t true, she told herself as she fastened her cloak around her neck, ignoring Lily’s questions. James and Remus were mistaken. But she knew, even as she stowed her wand in her pocket, that they weren’t. She knew exactly what she would find in the flat in London.

“Jocelyn, are you all “ where are you going?” James changed questions mid-sentence as she bounded down the stairs and strode toward him in her traveling clothes.

“James, does Sirius have your invisibility cloak?” she asked, halting before him, and ignoring his question.

“Yeah, I gave it to him back at Christmas,” he nodded. “But Joce’ “”

“You’re not going after Sirius, are you?” said Remus sharply.

“Aren’t you?” she said, very quietly, and Remus and James both winced.

“Jocelyn, it’s no use,” said James desperately. “We don’t even know where he’s going.”

“I know where he’s going,” she whispered. “And I’m going there as well.”

She turned toward the portrait hole.

“Don’t!” said Remus sharply.

Jocelyn turned back to face him.

“Sirius once risked everything to get me out of danger,” she said quietly.

“And it’ll be a fine way to repay him by walking into it now!” snapped Remus.

“No, I suppose a better way would be to sit here and let him fight off the Death Eaters alone, the way you two are!” she retorted harshly.

“He told us it to stay out of it,” said James defensively. He felt indignant. Did Jocelyn really think that, given his own way, he would be sitting here, instead off fighting Death Eaters with Sirius? “He told us there was too much at risk. He told us it was his battle.”

“There’s nothing at risk for me,” said Jocelyn quietly. “And any battle of his is a battle of mine,” she added, and turned away again.

“Jocelyn!” said Remus sharply.

She looked back at him and their eyes locked.

“Please don’t stop me,” she whispered.

Slowly, almost imperceptibly, he nodded. She turned and pushed her way out of the portrait hole. There was a swish of a cloak “ a click. She was gone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


James and Remus had not told Jocelyn the whole truth “ they hadn’t needed to “ but they hadn’t been completely honest when they’d told her they merely “thought” Sirius had gone after Bellatrix. They knew he had. While he had never said the words, he had as good as told them earlier that day.

“I’m going up to London,” he had announced the moment they were back in their dormitory after their last examination was over that afternoon.

“You’ll be back Sunday, then?” James had questioned carefully, but somehow he knew the answer before Sirius spoke.

“I don’t know,” Sirius replied, without looking at James.

“You’ve found her, then?” Remus demanded.

“I didn’t say that,” said Sirius quickly, avoiding all their eyes.

James swore quietly, then picked up his wand.

“Don’t follow me,” Sirius commanded abruptly, looking James in the eye.

“You’re mad if you think I won’t!” James answered indignantly. “I’m your best mate!”

“You bloody idiot, don’t you think I know that!” Sirius snapped. “I saved your life back in October, you don’t think I’m going to let you throw it away now!”

“You don’t think I’m not going to repay you!”

“I have no one!” Sirius barked, and James started. “If I die,” Sirius continued, in a much calmer voice, “no one will mourn my loss.”

“I will “!” James began indignantly, but Sirius interrupted him.

“No on will mourn my loss,” he repeated firmly. “But if you die… Lily, your parents … the Quidditch team….” He gave a small smile. “No, Prongs, there are too many people’s hearts involved for you to put yourself at risk.”

James opened his mouth, saw the expression on Sirius’s face, and shut it again.

“And what about me?” Remus demanded. “No one’s going mourn the loss of a werewolf!”

Sirius put a hand on Remus’s shoulder and looked at him for a long moment.

“You just take care of Jocelyn, all right?” he said quietly.

Slowly, Remus nodded.

“And “” Sirius’s voice cracked. He took a deep breath, then said in a much steadier voice, “And say goodbye to her for me.”

Slowly, reluctantly, they had nodded. Sirius had given them a last look, a last nod. Then he had slipped through the door of the dormitory, and disappeared.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Jocelyn had been standing before the London flat’s front door for a full minute. She did not want to open the door, to see what was inside, to have her fears confirmed. Oh, she knew he wasn’t inside, but to open the door, to see the empty flat, would extinguish her last, desperate hope. It would make everything absolute, irrevocable. Another minute ticked past, then another, and still she had not even moved to open the door. Memories were haunting her, conversations, all the ways she could have prevented this. And finally, after nearly five minutes, she reached out her hand; her fingers closed around the icy, dirty-gray doorknob; her hand rotated; her arm pushed; the door swung slowly, creakily open.

The flat was pitch dark. Jocelyn fumbled for a moment, then finally pulled her wand out of her pocket.

“Lumos,” she whispered. A narrow beam of light fell across the floor in front of her. Raising her wand higher, she looked around the room. There wasn’t any sign of life anywhere. A minute later she had checked the other rooms as well.

Having confirmed the flat was empty, Jocelyn began searching more carefully for a clue as to where Sirius had gone. She had seen an old, roller-top desk in one of the rooms, but when she tried to open it, she found it was locked.

“Alohomora,” she muttered, tapping the lock with her wand, but the desk still remained tightly shut. Frustrated, she pounded the top of the desk with her fist, but she didn’t really expect this help. Something small fell to the floor, but Jocelyn was too intent on opening the desk to notice. Her hand throbbing, and angry now, she raised her wand, intending to blast it open. The narrow beam from her wand fell across a piece of parchment, wedged under the bottom of the roller-top. Curious, she bent down to look at it more closely, and saw the bottom half of some handwritten characters. Intrigued, she grasped hold of the parchment and carefully began working it free. When she had finally gotten it out, she saw it was only two words, underlined and circled: Toujours Pur. She frowned. What did that mean? Why was their family maxim a key to finding Bellatrix? Unless “

Jocelyn gasped.

“He didn’t!” she breathed.

If Sirius had gone there…

There wasn’t any time to lose. Crumpling the piece of parchment in her hand and stuffing it into her pocket, Jocelyn had turned toward the door when her foot slipped on something, and she heard the clink of metal on wood. Lowering her wand toward the floor, she saw the glint of something shiny. Bending down, she found a thin, gold ring lying by her feet, a piece of parchment shoved into its center. Frowning, she picked it up, pushed the parchment out of it, smoothed that out, and began to read.

Jocelyn,
I know I will be dead long before you read this, so I want you to know that


Here, it seemed, his hand had slipped, because the cross on the t jerked abruptly downward. The words below it were written in a hastier scrawl.

There is no time to say what I wanted to, and now I’m not even sure how to put it into words. Read the inscription on this ring, and I know you’ll understand.

I’m sorry “ so sorry “ about everything.

Sirius


Jocelyn crumpled the parchment in her fist, holding it there as she examined the ring more closely, squinting to read the thin, slanting inscription: Contre Ceux Toujours Purs. He had really gone, she realized. She opened the note again, staring at the words I will be dead long before you read this and the mutilated t, and in that moment she knew what she had to do. Stuffing the parchment in her pocket with the other piece, she slipped the ring on her finger, and turned back toward the door.

She had made her decision.
Of Trust and Promises by trinsy
“Well?” Sirius demanded. “What do you think?”

Jocelyn grinned.

“It’s brilliant!”

Sirius frowned at her.

“It’s dangerous, is what it is!” he said reprovingly.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes.

“Oh, Sirius!”

“You think this is a joke?” he demanded. “I tell you, this thing is dangerous! Terrible things could happen if you went down there.”

“What things?” she questioned, raising her eyebrows skeptically.

“Terrible things,” answered Sirius, looking mysterious.

Jocelyn rolled her eyes again.

“Sirius,” she said, a note of impatience in her voice, “you’ve already said that.”

“It’s worth repeating,” Sirius replied severely. “Things …
change down there, Jocelyn. People change.”

“What, there’s a spell that makes them change from bad to good?” suggested Jocelyn mockingly.

“No, from living to dead,” Sirius corrected bluntly. “Trust me, nothing good ever came from going down there.”

“How do you know? Have you ever been down there?”

“I’m not stupid enough to attempt it.”

“Or maybe not brave enough “”

“I hope you know me better than that!”

She looked at him, startled, and saw that his eyes had begun to blaze dangerously. She reached out and softly rubbed his arm.

“I do,” she whispered.

The fire in his eyes died, and his look softened.

“I didn’t show this to you so you could wander down there,” he said softly. “I showed it to you so you would avoid it. I don’t want you accidentally stumbling upon it one day.”

She frowned.

“But I thought you couldn’t stumble upon it. According to the legend “”

“Legend!” Sirius scoffed. “A legend is nothing more than a strand of truth woven into a tapestry of lies by people who aren’t even sure which thread the truth is. Believe me, you can stumble upon it.”

She shrugged.

“All right.”

“But
you won’t stumble upon it, because now you know what to avoid,” he added much more matter-of-factly, stepping away from the entrance and sealing it up. “So, we’re done here, and no worries.” He turned away from the hidden entranceway, but she didn’t follow him. He turned back.

“Jocelyn?”

She was staring fixedly at the last spot he had sealed up.

“Jocelyn!” he said, more sharply this time.

She started, turned.

“What?”

“Promise me you won’t ever go down there,” he said gravely.

“Sorry?”

“Promise me “” he took a step forward and placed his hand on her shoulders “ “
swear to me you’ll never go down there!”

“Why “?”

“Do it, Jocelyn!”

“I swear it!”

He released her and stepped backward, his breathing suddenly heavy.

“Thank you,” he whispered, turning away from her. “Thank you.”


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


“I swear it!”

The words echoed in Jocelyn’s memory as she made her way down the damp, stone corridor.

But really, what did her promises mean anymore? She used to swear she wouldn’t do a lot of things. She’d sworn she wouldn’t let anything happen to her family…. Sworn she wouldn’t just sit back and let things happen…. Sworn she’d always fight by Sirius’s side…. Sworn she wouldn’t fall in love with him…. Sworn she wouldn’t let his nature kill him….

Jocelyn’s pace quickened. There was still time to keep that particular promise.

Well, what did it matter now? Keeping a promise she’d made when she was thirteen wasn’t really an option anymore. She’d known from the moment she’d read those two horrible words on that first scrap of paper that it wouldn’t be.

“Swear to me you’ll never go down there!”

“I swear it!”


“What the hell!” A startled voice cut through the silence like a whip.

Jocelyn started, and took an involuntary step backward as a light was shone in her eyes, blinding her. Then, quite suddenly, the hand holding the light dropped.

“It’s you,” said the voice quietly.

White spots were flashing in front of Jocelyn’s eyes, obscuring her vision. She didn’t need to see, however, to know who the voice belonged to.

“It’s me,” she whispered.

Sirius swore quietly, and Jocelyn felt anger rise within her. So that was the best reception he could give her?

“That doesn’t change the fact that I’m here, Sirius!” she snapped.

“No, unfortunately it doesn’t!” he replied. He looked at her as he spoke, but the white spots prevented her from seeing his eyes. “What the hell were you thinking “?”

“What the hell were you thinking, leaving me a note like that!”

“A note like what?”

‘I will be dead long before you read this!’ What did you expect me to do after I read that, Sirius, turn around and go back to Hogwarts?”

“That would have been the intelligent thing to do!”

“You just don’t get it!”

“No, you don’t get it! We are going to die, do you understand me? You’ve come here to DIE!” The word echoed sinisterly off the stone walls.

Jocelyn looked up at Sirius and, as the last of the white spots faded away, their eyes locked.

“I knew that when I came,” she whispered. “I’m not stupid, Sirius.”

“Well coming here was a really stupid thing to do,” he muttered angrily, looking at his feet.

Anger blazed up in Jocelyn again.

“You’re glad I came, admit it!” she snarled.

“Yes!” Sirius said sarcastically, his head snapping up. “I’m really glad I led the only person I’ve ever “ ever “ my cousin to her death,” he finished quickly, without looking at her.

Jocelyn gave a humorless smile.

“Death,” she scoffed. “What makes you so sure there’s death down here?”

Sirius’s head snapped up again.

“You know, Jocelyn, could you ever, just once, even pretend to trust me?”

Jocelyn’s eyebrows rose.

“Trust?”

“Yeah, trust,” Sirius snapped. “Having faith in someone once in a while!”

Flames burst in the windows of Jocelyn’s eyes.

“I had plenty of faith in you!” she snapped.

“Yeah?” sneered Sirius.

“Yeah,” Jocelyn snarled. “I had faith you’d overcome this stupid drive for revenge!”

“You leave that out of this!”

Jocelyn’s jaw dropped.

“What d’you mean, ‘leave it out of this’?” she gasped. “It is this!”

“Oh, this is getting us nowhere!” Sirius growled. “We’re not going to survive this if we can’t trust each other!”

“Like I’m supposed to trust you after what you did after my father died!” she muttered contemptuously.

“Maybe I did that because I cared for you, did you ever think of that?” Sirius exploded.

“If you cared for me you would have done what I told you to “!”

“What, like Hector did? Just sat and studied in the library while you were in danger? Well, look who’s risking his neck for you now “!”

“I wouldn’t even be here if weren’t for you! And leave Hector out of this “!”

“Why, because he did?”

Jocelyn flinched as though he had struck her.

“You’re just jealous,” she said finally, her voice shaking, “because while you were busy hunting down Death Eaters I went out and found someone else!”

“I’m not jealous!” cried Sirius, outraged. “Angry? Yes! Disappointed? Extremely! But jealous? Of that git?”

“Angry, disappointed, jealous, it’s all the same!” she shouted semi-hysterically. “If you hadn’t been out trying to save the world “!”

“It wasn’t the whole world, Jocelyn!” Sirius roared.

She glared at him disbelievingly.

“Just one of them,” he whispered. He reached out to cup her cheek in his hand, but she jerked back, looking stonily away from him.

“Look,” he said finally, “if you’re happy with Hector, if you don’t want to get involved with me “”

“Sirius “!” she said quickly.

“No, listen to me!” he cut her off firmly. “If you don’t want to get involved with me, fine, that’s your decision. But if we’re going to survive this “ this right here “ we need to know that we can trust each other, all right? I need to know you’re watching my back.”

She didn’t answer at first.

“Jocelyn,” he said quietly, but firmly. “Jocelyn, I need to know you’re watching my back, all right? … Jocelyn!”

She nodded, slowly.

“I’m watching your back, Sirius,” she whispered. She looked up at him then, and their eyes locked. He saw everything in that look: her hurt, her confusion, her pain… but mostly, her rejection. Finally he looked away.

“Let’s go then,” he said quickly, patting her shoulder, and, together, they turned to continue on.


A/N: Hey guys! Sorry about the long wait, especially with such a cliffy! First it was just the pre-Christmas rush at school, and then I went to Poland for three weeks, and when I finally got back from there I was so exhausted I needed a vacation to recover from my vacation, which of course didn’t happen because I immediately went back to school, and now there’s finals rush there! All that to say, sorry about the long wait, and thank you for your patience with me! I will try to make sure you won’t ever have to wait that long again! Peace out. ~ Trinsy
The Legend by trinsy
A/N: Due to the upswing in reviews attempting to aid me in my grammar, I’ve gotten myself a beta. I searched carefully, and after extensively researching her background, I feel Marzenie is the most qualified to take the job. Hopefully this will ease the minds of those amongst you who care about such things (if you don’t care about such things, feel free to disregard this A/N; you probably won’t notice a difference). Please realize that both I and Marzenie believe that there are certain grammar ‘rules’ that are actually more like guidelines. These guidelines are based primarily on preference, and this preference belongs entirely to the author (i.e. writing Sirius’s instead of Sirius’ {incidentally, I have been writing in English for well over a decade, and while I am certainly not an English major, I am well aware that both are correct; however, I have always felt that the former sounds much better, and prefer to use it; besides which, the latter is usually only used for historical/mythological figures [i.e. Achilles]}). When it comes to concrete grammar rules, please know that neither I nor Marzenie are perfect, so there will most certainly be occasional mistakes. However, unless I make absolutely atrocious errors that we both somehow miss (i.e. writing their when it should actually be they’re), please do not feel the need to be all nit-picky about my grammar. While I appreciate the thought, this is fan-fiction, not English class.


“What d’you mean, ‘We can’t go after them?’” Lily demanded incredulously.

“Lils,” James explained, the patience in his voice obviously wearing thin, “I’ve already told you: We don’t know where they’re going.

“So figure it out!” cried Lily, exasperated.

“How?” James challenged.

“I don’t know! You’re his best mates!” Lily pointed out. “You and Remus and “” she stopped very suddenly, looking around the dormitory. “Where’s Peter?”

“His mum fell ill yesterday; he went home the moment exams were finished,” answered Remus promptly. “Surely we told you that?”

“No, but you didn’t tell me you let Sirius march off to his death either, so that’s not really surprising,” answered Lily sarcastically.

James rolled his eyes.

“Come off it, Lils,” he sighed. “Sirius did not ‘march off to his death!’”

He might have been believable if he hadn’t looked at Remus for confirmation as he spoke. The truth was, James silently admitted to himself, he wasn’t entirely convinced that he would ever see Sirius alive again.

Lily was glaring at him.

“Your best mate is going to die,” she said quietly, her voice a deadly calm, “and you don’t even care.”

James’s face twitched, but when he spoke, his voice was as calm Lily’s.

“I care a lot more than you seem to think,” he told her.

“Then why aren’t you doing anything about it?” Lily growled.

Something inside James snapped. Everything he had wanted to say to Jocelyn, everything he had been suppressing for the past six weeks, everything came tumbling out of his mouth so quickly he was barely intelligible.

“You think I like sitting around like this, do you? You think I don’t want to be doing something? My best mate is going to die, don’t you get it? I’m never going to see him again! Or if I do, it won’t be him, just some mangled body that’s barely recognizable! You think I wouldn’t prevent that if I could? Because I would, but I can’t! I can’t!” he repeated, so upset he was shaking now. He felt as though he was drowning in his own helplessness; felt as Sirius must have felt the day he had started shouting in Charms class, like the world was slipping out of his grasp, out of control; like everything he’d ever held onto was crumbling beneath his fingertips. “And unless you can, stop harassing me about it! Because I can’t, I can’t think about it; I don’t want to think about what I’m going to find in the morning, the owl I’m getting at breakfast tomorrow, so just SHUT UP!” James was holding onto his bedpost now, shaking uncontrollably. He felt drained, scared, and … something else. Was he about to start crying?

Lily had gone extremely white.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered, her lip trembling.

“It’s not your fault,” said Remus abruptly. He, too, was extremely pale, but his voice was surprisingly strong. “Prongs, sit down!” he barked, as James’s hold on his bedpost loosened, and he slipped down several centimeters.

James obediently sat “ or, more accurately, collapsed “ on his bed. Remus’s face softened.

“Are you going to be all right?” he questioned, looking at his friend in concern.

James nodded, but seemed to be afraid to open his mouth. Perhaps this had something to do with the fact that he looked as though he was about to be violently sick.

“But Sirius and Jocelyn aren’t going to be all right, are they?” asked Lily quietly.

Remus turned to her, his hands spread out in front of him.

“Lils, what do you want us to do?” he questioned, his voice no longer as controlled as it had originally been. “If you have any information concerning their whereabouts, please, share it!”

“So we’re not going after them?”

“It was never an option!” Remus spat. “Sirius told us not go after him, and as I’ve already let him down on one count, I’m not about to let him down again!”

“But you’re going to let him die alone?”

Remus flinched, but when he spoke his voice was quite steady.

“Sirius’s life is out of my hands,” he said quietly. “Please don’t keep reminding me of that fact.” He turned away from her as he spoke. It sounded as though every word was causing him pain.

“And Jocelyn?” said Lily quietly.

Remus’s head snapped back at her.

“Jocelyn’s dead, all right?” he snarled. “Jocelyn’s dead, Sirius is dead, and yes, maybe it is our fault, maybe it’s my fault, but unless you have a time-turner there’s absolutely nothing we can do to change things, so either take James’s advice and shut up, or leave!”

“But “”

“Goodbye!” Remus interrupted loudly, in a mock-cheerful voice, ushering her toward the door and opening it for her. Lily passed through without another word. If Remus hadn’t been purposefully numbing his emotions, he might have felt a pang of guilt when he caught the expression on Lily’s face. He certainly couldn’t help but feel a small twinge when he distinctly heard a sob as he shut the door behind her.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Number twelve, Grimmauld Place, the house Sirius had grown up in, had been in the Black family for generations, and only those in the Black family could truly appreciate all it had to offer. Only Blacks knew of the secret passageways and chambers, which had originally been built for no other reason than that it was customary to have secret rooms, and now were used to store Dark items, should the Ministry call unexpectedly.

It was rumored among the Blacks who did not reside in Grimmauld Place that there was one secret door in the house that none of them could open, or even find, unless they had been told by someone who lived or had lived in the house. Behind this door there was said to be a long, winding staircase; then a curving, sloping tunnel; and then, finally, many miles below the house, there was one more secret chamber, a master chamber. No one was sure if it was true, or where the door might be if it was, or what precisely was in the chamber, if it existed at all. But it was widely believed the chamber did exist, and that it contained the summary of the Black family, though in what form, no one knew. And because it contained the summary of the Black family, the Blacks had christened it with their own family maxim:

Toujours Pur “ the secret chamber of the Blacks.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Jocelyn and Sirius had been walking down the long, sloping tunnel for nearly half-an-hour, an uncomfortable silence hanging between them.

“You told me the legend wasn’t true,” said Jocelyn abruptly.

Sirius started, but recovered almost immediately.

“It isn’t true,” he replied.

“So I suppose this ‘curving, sloping tunnel’ we’re walking through is just a figment of my imagination,” she said sarcastically.

Sirius gave a heavy sigh.

“All right, parts of it aren’t true. Why does it matter?”

“Because I want to know what to expect at the end.”

“Even if, by some strange chance, the legend is true, it never specifies, does it?” Sirius pointed out. “No one knows what form it takes.”

Jocelyn nodded slowly.

“You’re not even sure Bella’s down there, are you?” she murmured.

“Yeah, well that’s not really important now, is it?” Sirius questioned, an edge in his voice.

Jocelyn gave a small growl.

“Isn’t that just like you, to march blindly to your doom?”

“Isn’t it just like you to follow me?” Sirius retaliated.

Jocelyn smiled slightly.

“Yeah,” she said softly, “… or at least … it used to be …”

Sirius looked down at her, his gaze softening.

“Isn’t it still?”

She looked away from him.

“Well that’s not really very important now either,” she said quietly.

“No,” Sirius agreed in a whisper, “I guess it’s not.”

She had no time to respond, for even as he spoke they came upon a door. The door. The door that would either validate or disprove the legend…
The Summary by trinsy
Sirius placed his hand on the door handle, muttered something, and depressed it. The door opened a few inches.

“Excellent,” muttered Jocelyn, pushing past Sirius. She placed a hand on the door, and began to push into the room.

Sirius grabbed her shoulder.

“Wait!” he commanded. Reaching inside a pocket of his robes, he pulled out James’s invisibility cloak, which he threw over both of them. Then, pushing Jocelyn behind him, Sirius stepped through the doorway. Jocelyn was only a step behind.

They had entered a medium sized, completely bare, stone chamber.

“It’s empty,” Jocelyn observed, feeling a bit disappointed.

“Shut up!” Sirius hissed.

“I have to say, this chamber is really overrated,” sighed Jocelyn, ignoring Sirius. “There’s no summary or anything.”

“Joce’, shut up!” Sirius growled.

“Oh, come off it Sirius, nothing’s here,” said Jocelyn impatiently. She threw off the invisibility cloak and took a step away from him.

“No wait!” Sirius shouted, grabbing her shoulder, even as another voice cried, “Crucio!”

Sirius yanked Jocelyn out of the way just in time. The jet of red light shot just past her cheek as two invisibility cloaks slid to floor, and two more figures were revealed: Sirius and Bellatrix.

She was clad in her full Death Eater attire, complete with skeleton-like mask, cackling madly.

“Aww, still believe in fairy tales, wittle Adhara?” she mocked, advancing slowly toward Sirius and Jocelyn. “Disappointed they weren’t twoo?”

“The legend was true,” said Sirius quietly. He stepped in front of Jocelyn as he spoke. “It said the summary of the Black family was in this chamber, and it was right. You, Bella, truly are the sum of everything the Blacks stand for: hatred, and cruelty, and senseless killing!” Sirius’s voice rose slightly as he spoke.

Bellatrix dropped her mocking demeanor as she and Sirius glared at each other.

“I take that as a compliment,” she whispered harshly.

“What did you have against Vega, eh?” Sirius growled. “It was me who sent your mates to Azkaban, not Jocelyn! Why didn’t you go after my parents?”

Bella’s lips curled into a mocking smile.

“I somehow didn’t think that would have quite the same effect, Sirius, though I can’t imagine why. Mostly it was because they weren’t blood-traitors.”

“Blood-traitors!” Sirius spat. “It was a blood-traitor who sent your pureblood pals to Azkaban, if you don’t remember!”

“Yes, so they’re not exactly non-threatening, are they?” Bellatrix pointed out, her mouth twitching.

Sirius suddenly looked wary.

“Threatening,” he murmured. “Threatening. … Is that why you attacked James, then?”

Bellatrix’s smile broadened.

“Very good, Sirius,” she jeered. “Although Potter was never the primary target … just bait. The real target has always been you.”

Sirius nodded slowly.

“Always been me,” he muttered.

“That’s right,” Bella affirmed. “Potter was disposable.”

Sirius stiffened.

“Disposable!” he snapped. “Is that what you think? I swear if you touch him “!”

“You’ll what? Take another “ what’s it been, now? “ eight months to find me?”

“Not quite so brave without that mask on, are you Bella?” mocked Sirius, ignoring Bella’s jab. “Why don’t you take it off? After all, your face is probably your deadliest weapon.”

“Just like yours, Sirius. Strutting around that castle like you own the place,” Bella sounded disgusted. She pointed her wand at Jocelyn and her voice softened. “Ensnaring the hearts “ and consequently, endangering the lives “ of beautiful young girls….”

With his own wand Sirius jerked Bella’s wand tip back at himself.

“Don’t point that thing at her!” he growled. “Your quarrel is with me!”

Jocelyn saw a movement behind Bella’s mask, and could have sworn she had smiled.

“She’s my cousin “ and a blood-traitor!” she spat the phrase “ “as well, Sirius,” she said, her voice soft and deadly.

“She’s not your concern!”

There was a pause, a silence, as each tried to stare the other down. Neither noticed as a third figure in the room quietly dematerialized.

“Why did you tell Voldemort “”

“Crucio!”

Sirius blocked the curse easily.

“What, scared to hear your own master’s name?” he asked coolly.

“Don’t you dare “ don’t you dare “ desecrate his name with your unworthy lips!” hissed Bellatrix, positively shaking with rage.

Sirius gave a humorless smile.

“It’s just a name, Bella,” he pointed out.

“Don’t you dare!” Bella hissed again.

“All right, fine,” shrugged Sirius. “Why did you tell your master” “ he laid careful emphasis on the words “ “I was the greatest threat to his power? You know it’s a lie!”

There was another movement behind Bella’s mask, as though she was grinning. Broadly.

“I couldn’t be sure, now, could I, Sirius? You had a great talent for magic, great ambition … but nothing you seemed to be channeling it toward. And then, one night, it occurred to me…”

“What?” asked Sirius warily.

“Your greatest secret. You didn’t want to join the Dark Lord because you were planning to replace him. You put on a front of abhorring the Dark Arts to hide your true intentions. But you made one fatal error.”

“Yeah?” growled Sirius. He didn’t like the direction this conversation was taking. “What was that?”

“I noticed you had a certain fondness for hexing people,” said Bella softly.

Sirius flinched.

“I only hexed gits who deserved it!” he snapped. “Your mates “ Narcissa’s gang “ Snape! I never cursed Muggleborns!”

“Ahh, yes,” Bella agreed. “But it was common knowledge you hated one.”

“Who?”

Another movement behind the mask suggested Bella’s grin had widened. When she spoke, the words dripped with pure malice.

“Lily Evans,” she whispered.

Sirius looked as though she had slapped him.

“I don’t care what sort of blood she’s got!” he shouted. “I never cared what sort of blood she’s got!”

“To outside observers that was a matter of opinion,” shrugged Bellatrix. She was obviously enjoying this.

“Why you “!” Sirius’s breathing was heavy, his face livid.

“Don’t you want to hear the rest of the story?” asked Bella calmly.

“I know the rest!” Sirius growled. “You framed me!”

“But don’t you want to know why?” questioned Bella.

Sirius stopped. Then he nodded slowly.

“Why?” he asked in a voice of forced calm.

“To get revenge,” answered Bella levelly.

“Revenge for what?” Sirius demanded, shouting again.

“For embarrassing the family name,” she answered. “Not just you. Not even really you. Mostly to get revenge on the one person who brainwashed my older sister, turned her into the disgrace she is today!” Bella’s voice was shaking again.

“If you’re talking about Andromeda, she’s the best your family’s ever produced!” Sirius shouted. He stopped, as he realized what Bella had actually said. “Who did you want revenge on?” he asked quietly, but, even as asked it, he knew he didn’t want to hear the answer.

“Vega,” said Bella quietly. “You were never really a target. But then you decided to come after me, and I thought, ‘Well, why not?’ Four for the price one, you know.”

Sirius had raised his wand now.

“I misspoke earlier, Sirius,” Bella admitted, not sounding at all remorseful about this. “The real target wasn’t always you. The real target was always Veg “”

A jet of red light shot from nowhere. It hit Bellatrix squarely in the small of her back. She fell forward, stunned.

Jocelyn threw the invisibility cloak off her head. For a moment she and Sirius stared at each other, Sirius still with his wand at the ready.

“Well,” said Jocelyn quietly.

“Yeah,” Sirius growled.

There was a sudden, sharp crack! Jocelyn leaped over Bellatrix, and threw the invisibility cloak over Sirius. Nearly a dozen more cracks! A dozen Death Eaters had Apparated into the chamber.

“Sirius, Disapparate,” Jocelyn hissed. “Now!”

“Not without Bella,” Sirius hissed back.

The Death Eaters had heard the hissing. They all turned toward the noise.

“Leave her!” Jocelyn snarled.

“No!” Sirius growled. “She’s going to Azkaban!”

The Death Eaters were advancing slowly.

“There’s nothing you can do!” Jocelyn snapped. “Leave her!”

Sirius looked longingly at Bella’s comatose body, lying less than two meters away. She was so close, almost within his reach…

The Death Eaters drew closer.

“Leave her!” Jocelyn hissed. “Sirius, there’s nothing you can do! Leave her! Disapparate!”

“NO!” Sirius shouted.

He darted out from under the invisibility cloak. Jocelyn grabbed his elbow, pulled, turned. There was a chorus of shouts, a loud crack!

A dozen jets of light collided at the place where Sirius and Jocelyn had stood not a second before.
You and Me by trinsy
A/N: You will probably be a little confused by the end of this chapter. Don’t worry, everything that doesn’t make sense in this chapter will be explained in the next one! I promise! ~ Trinsy


“You bloody idiot “!”

Jocelyn scrabbled at a loose board on the window of the tumbledown Shrieking Shack, ignoring Sirius’s curses. At last she got it to move aside.

“Shut up, and come on,” she sighed, turning back to her furious companion.

“Take this jinx off me right now!” Sirius demanded, referring to the Anti-Disapparation Jinx she had placed on him.

“I will as soon as we get in the Shack,” Jocelyn answered coolly.

“It’s impossible to Disapparate in the Shack,” Sirius snapped.

“Exactly,” Jocelyn nodded.

Sirius was becoming worked up again.

“Jocelyn, Bellatrix “!”

“Oh, honestly!” sighed Jocelyn, exasperated. “Can we please discuss the complexities of your warped psyche, which gives you this strange, emotional need to take revenge on various members of your family, inside!”

A giant black dog walked grudgingly over to the window. Jocelyn climbed onto its back and slithered through the hole. A moment later the dog leaped in after her. Jocelyn waved her wand at the window, moving the board back over it, then turned back to the dog, which had become Sirius again.

“Take the jinx off,” he ordered.

“Get in the tunnel,” Jocelyn commanded.

“You don’t trust me?”

“Honestly? No.”

“You see, this has been our problem from the beginning! This is what I was saying back in Toujours Pur “”

“Oh, don’t even get me started on Toujours Pur!” Jocelyn snapped, as they entered the tunnel leading back to the Hogwarts grounds. “You, Sirius the Wise, too wise to go in there, waltzing down like it’s the passage to Honeydukes “!”

“Well what about you, you swore you’d never go down there!”

“Oh yeah? Contre Ceux Toujours Purs!” she snapped, shaking the hand with the ring in front of his face. “Like I wasn’t going down there after that!”

“The ring was supposed to make you stay “!”

Contre Ceux Toujours Purs was our pact! It meant sticking together, no matter what! And it meant disowning everything, including Toujours Pur!”

“Yeah, well I had to ignore parts of the pact to fulfill others,” Sirius growled.

“You had to ignore it to fulfill your stupid drive for revenge!”

“We just keep coming back to that, don’t we?”

“Of course we do, it’s the reason we’re here!”

“Oh honestly, Jocelyn!” he exploded, rounding on her. “Contre Ceux Toujours Purs! Do you even know what that means anymore?”

‘Against Those Always Pure,’” she answered quietly, almost as though she were reciting from a textbook. “The antithesis of the Black family maxim. The motto of the ‘Black Sheep.’”

“Exactly! Against them! That was why I went there tonight!”

“You can be against them without marching straight to death! Look at Andromeda!”

“Andromeda has Ted; she has Nymphadora! She made her statement!”

“And running away wasn’t yours?”

“Yeah, well what was yours?” challenged Sirius, ignoring her question. “Disapparating before you could finish the job? Freeing Bella after she admitted to murdering your mum?”

“Oh, would dying have been a better statement?”

“No, but fighting! Really fighting!”

“You’ve never wanted me to fight!”

“No, but since you were there you might as well have taken out a couple Death Eaters! Instead you just stunned Bella “!”

“To save your life, and mine! All I wanted was to get out of there alive!”

“Yeah, well all I wanted “”

“Now we’re coming back to this stupid, stupid revenge thing! I’d rather have both you and Bella alive than both of you dead!”

“Didn’t seem to care so much about either of us these past couple of months,” noted Sirius bitterly.

Jocelyn flinched slightly.

“Well you weren’t very caring yourself, were you?” she whispered.

“Don’t turn the focus back to me!” Sirius snapped.

“All right, fine, I’ll admit it: I made a mistake, all right? I thought I was doing the right thing, but I was wrong.”

Sirius nodded slowly.

“Me as well,” he whispered finally. “But I’m not sure what the right path would have been like anymore.”

She gave a sad smile.

“Me either.”

“Maybe I should have stuck around …”

“Yeah. But maybe I should have been more supportive …”

“Yeah.”

They didn’t speak again until they reached the exit of the tunnel. Sirius pushed the knot that froze the Whomping Willow, and they climbed out. Neither were aware that a pair of hazel eyes had caught sight of the Willow’s sudden paralysis. The moment they were safely out of the tree’s shadow, Sirius turned to Jocelyn.

“What is that you want from me?” he questioned.

Jocelyn shook her head.

“I don’t know anymore, Sirius,” she said wearily.

“Yeah,” he said slowly. “You know, you said you wanted “”

“You know what, Sirius,” Jocelyn interrupted, “it doesn’t really matter what I said I wanted, all right? Or what I needed, for that matter.”

“What did you need?” he questioned gently.

Jocelyn looked away from him, out across the Hogwarts grounds, smiling wryly.

“The same thing you needed from me, I guess,” she whispered. “Just being there for me.”

He nodded slowly.

“Yeah,” he muttered. “I was trying to keep you out of danger, though, you know. … Even if I didn’t do a very good job of it.”

“I know,” she murmured. “But the thing is Sirius “” she turned back to him “ “I would have felt safer if you’d just been with me in case they showed up. … Selfish, I know,” she added, looking away again.

And, at last, as he gazed at her turned figure silhouetted in the moonlight, Sirius overcame the struggle he’d been having with himself since Christmas.

“So all you needed,” he said in a low voice.

“Was you!” Jocelyn finished, turning, and now she and Sirius were staring unflinchingly into each other’s eyes. “But that was the one thing you never gave me,” she continued, making no effort to conceal the tears in her voice. “So I had to find someone who would. And I “”

“Jocelyn!” said Sirius sharply. He didn’t like where this conversation was going.

“And I did,” continued Jocelyn firmly, as though she hadn’t heard him. But she had dropped her eyes to her shoes now. She couldn’t look at Sirius, because if she did she knew she wouldn’t say it; and if she didn’t say it now, she never would; and it needed to be said. “I have Hector now,” she whispered, and winced.

There was a long silence. Finally, Jocelyn slowly lifted her eyes to Sirius’s face. He looked as though she had slapped him.

“And “ and what do I have?” he asked finally, trying to swallow the lump in his throat.

Jocelyn bit her lip.

“Oh Sirius,” she whispered, looking at him sadly. “You’ve always had “ and will always have “ my heart…. But you can’t have me!”

Sirius inhaled very sharply. There was a long pause.

“You made your choice,” she said finally, “a long time ago.”

“I made the wrong choice,” he said bitterly.

“Well I knew that,” she said, and gave him a sad smile.

They looked at each other for a long moment.

“Look, Sirius,” she said suddenly, and very quickly, “I’m sorry things didn’t “ didn’t work out the “ the way we thought “”

“Oh, Jocelyn,” he whispered, “I “ have always “ loved you.”

She nodded, tears streaming down her cheeks. They looked at each other for a moment that lasted an eternity. Sirius reached out his hand to “

“Sirius! Jocelyn! Thank Merlin you’re all right!” cried a voice to Sirius’s right. They both jumped, and in that moment they broke eye contact as Jocelyn looked toward the voice. A moment later Lily burst upon them, followed closely by James, Remus, and Hector. Sirius watched as Jocelyn embraced Lily, then turned to be wrapped in Hector’s arms. She looked at Sirius over Hector’s shoulder, and for the last time their eyes locked. She slowly, almost imperceptibly, shook her head, tears in her eyes. To anyone else it might have looked like she was fighting not to cry, but Sirius knew better. He knew exactly what that gesture meant.

No, Sirius, she was saying, sadly, gently, yet firmly as she always had. It’s over. We can’t go back. We can’t be what we could have been.

“Hey,” James’s voice shook Sirius out of his thoughts. “You okay?”

“What? “ I mean, yeah,” he said, trying to clear his head. He forced himself to look James in the eye. Past James he could see Hector leading Jocelyn away, his arm around her waist. “Yeah, I’m fine,” he said quietly, his gaze going back to Jocelyn’s retreating figure. “Everything’s fine.”
Beautiful by trinsy
Lily and Hector were sitting on the cold stone floor, next to the portrait of the Fat Lady, when the portrait suddenly swung open and two figures burst out of the opening. Lily leapt to her feet.

“What’s going on?” she asked James, just as he was about to start sprinting down the corridor. He and Remus both turned toward her.

“The-Whomping-Willow-froze!” James exclaimed, all in one breath.

Lily, who had only understood one word of this explanation (“willow”), looked questioningly at Remus. His eyes flickered over Hector, who had also risen. Lily had learned about Remus’s condition during the Christmas holidays, but Hector, of course, didn’t have any idea.

“Where I go … sometimes,” he said vaguely, turning back to Lily.

Lily’s eyes widened.

“So Sirius and Jocelyn could be “!” she began excitedly.

“Yes!” James shouted, grabbing her wrist, and yanking her down the corridor. “Come on!”

“What about Jocelyn?” asked Hector sharply, starting after them.

James and Remus both rolled their eyes.

“Just come on, if you must!” snapped James, without even pausing his march down the corridor. “Where did he come from?” he muttered to Lily.

“I went to find him after I left your dormitory,” Lily explained in a hiss, not even bothering to hide the resentment in her voice. “I thought he had a right to know that his girlfriend was probably dead.”

“That useless git doesn’t have a right to know anythi “!”

“Shut up!” Lily snarled, as they bounded down a set of stairs three at a time. “This is so stupid! Sirius and Jocelyn could be dead!”

“The Willow froze!” James insisted.

“And what does that prove?”

“That they’re alive!”

One of them is alive,” Lily corrected. “It only takes one to press the knot, doesn’t it?”

James didn’t answer. They had reached the entrance hall now, and James released Lily as he opened the front door. Lily was through in a flash; James, Remus, and Hector were close on her heels. The quartet sprinted across the lawn, not caring whether a staff member saw them out of bed or not. At last the Whomping Willow came into view, and there, just outside its shadow, stood two figures. Lily increased her speed, tearing toward the couple.

“Sirius! Jocelyn! Thank Merlin you’re all right!” she shrieked, and a moment later she had thrown herself onto Jocelyn.

“Hey, Lils,” Jocelyn murmured, hugging her tightly.

Hector approached them. Jocelyn released Lily and turned toward him.

“Hey,” she whispered.

“Thank Merlin you’re okay,” he muttered, embracing her. Jocelyn didn’t answer, but Hector either didn’t notice or didn’t care. “Come on,” he said, pulling back, “you need to get into the castle. Are you hurt at all?” He had put his arm around her waist as he spoke, and begun leading her back to the castle.

“Oh no, I’m fine,” Jocelyn assured him.

“Well, you look exhausted,” said Hector. “You need to get to bed.”

“Thanks, that’ll be good,” agreed Jocelyn. She looked him in the eye and forced herself to smile. “That’ll be great.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


The Marauders spent their few remaining weeks at Hogwarts quietly. They either wandered about the grounds, or sat listlessly in the common room, sometimes playing chess or Gobstones, but rarely talking. Jocelyn spent much of her time with Hector, but neither she nor the Marauders actively avoided each other, and she occasionally joined Remus in a game of chess.

Their very last evening in the castle, Sirius and James were only just beginning to pack as the rest of the students trooped off to the end of term feast.

“Coming?” James questioned, preparing to abandon his trunk and join the rest of the school.

“You go ahead,” Sirius told him, as he unceremoniously tossed several textbooks into his trunk. “I’m going to finish up here.”

James frowned at him.

“You all right?”

“Fine,” Sirius lied. “Go on, I’ll be along in a few minutes.”

James shrugged and left the dormitory. The truth was, Sirius admitted silently, sitting listlessly on his bed, he had no intention of going down to the feast. He couldn’t bear to be around the hundreds of laughing students. Students whose aunts had not been murdered, whose uncles were still alive, whose cousins were not trying to kill them. … Whose best mates were not engaged.

For James and Lily were engaged, as Sirius had found out not even a week before. It was not as if he was really surprised, Sirius admitted to himself. He had been expecting this since Christmas. He wasn’t opposed either. He liked Lily immensely. And yet the thought of James and Lily’s engagement made him melancholy.

Remus understood. That is, Remus partially understood. To Remus, Sirius knew, James and Lily represented what he had never had and would never have. Or rather, what he would never allow himself to have. Remus, convinced he was too dangerous for someone to love.

Then there was Peter, more awed by the relationship than anything else. Peter had never had anything like that either. The poor bloke had never had the chance.

Sirius, however, had had the chance. Sirius had even experienced it. And then he had thrown it away….

For what? Bellatrix was alive, Vega and Alphard were dead, and Jocelyn…. Well, Jocelyn had Hector. And Sirius had nothing but the torturous idea that he had her heart.

Sirius rose wearily. He supposed he’d better go down to the feast after all. He’d told James he would, and James would pester him if didn’t.

He was almost to the portrait hole when, to his surprise, it suddenly opened and Lily climbed through.

“Oh, hello, Sirius,” she said, looking just as startled as he.

“Hi,” said Sirius. “Feast over already?”

“No, I came back early,” she answered. “I’ve got loads of packing to do.” She did not, however, make for the stairs to her dormitory, but instead seated herself in one of the squashy armchairs by the fireplace. “It feels strange to be leaving Hogwarts for good, doesn’t it?” she questioned, looking at the empty grate, instead of at Sirius.

Sirius sat in the chair beside her. She had no idea how strange it felt. Hogwarts felt more like home than Number 12 Grimmauld Place ever had. The idea of not being able to return was…

Sirius shivered slightly.

“What’s wrong?” asked Lily, looking over at him.

“Nothing,” said Sirius quickly. “It’s cold, that’s all.”

Lily flicked her wand, and suddenly a fire was roaring in the grate.

“I always hated the holidays,” she said abruptly.

Sirius looked at her, startled.

“My sister, Petunia, always made them miserable,” she nodded. “I’m not looking forward to going home, believe me.” She looked around the common room before speaking again. “After a few years, Hogwarts became the only place I felt happy,” she whispered. “Not that I was always happy here. Like when James was harassing me, or Jocelyn was throwing water jugs at me, for instance.” She smiled slightly, remembering, then added, “But I was happier here than at home.”

Sirius had the sudden urge to cry, and had no idea why. He coughed slightly, trying to get around the lump that was suddenly blocking his throat.

“I should get down to the feast,” he said gruffly; but even as he spoke he heard the distant sound of hundreds of wooden legs scraping across stone, signaling the end of the feast.

Lily gave a small smile and nodded.

“I should finish packing,” she said, rising.

Sirius did the same. He turned to go back up to his dormitory.

“Hey, Sirius?”

He turned. Lily was standing in front of her chair, her face half hidden in shadows cast by the flickering fire.

“I’m sorry,” she whispered. “Just about … well, everything, really.” She gave a hollow laugh. “It hurts, I know.”

Sirius nodded slowly.

“Thanks, Lils.”

She stepped forward suddenly, and hugged him tightly. Then she turned and made her way over to the girls’ staircase.

Sirius watched her go, feeling that the great pain in his chest had lessened slightly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


One month later, Jocelyn dashed about her room at James’s, hurrying to get ready. James and Lily’s wedding was in less than an hour.

Someone suddenly banged on her door.

“Come in,” she called, and Remus poked his head in.

“Hector’s here,” he informed her.

“Thanks,” said Jocelyn, putting the back on an earring. “Tell him I’ll be down in a moment.” She peered closely at her reflection, to see if there was any last minute damage control she needed to do.

“You look fine,” Remus assured her, before shutting the door again.

Fine, thought Jocelyn bitterly, straightening her silver-blue dress robes. Yes, she’d always looked fine. But she didn’t want to look fine. Mates looked fine. Girls like Lily were beautiful. And it was Lily, not Jocelyn, who was marrying the man she was in love with.

Which proves, thought Jocelyn acrimoniously, as she left her room, that looking “fine” isn’t worth much.

Hector rose quickly as she entered the sitting room. He, Remus, and Peter all looked extremely awkward.

“You look beautiful,” he told her sincerely.

Jocelyn smiled.

“Thanks.”

Sirius, she reflected bitterly, had never told her she was beautiful. A shadow crossed her face as she remembered this. Hector frowned.

“You all right?”

“Fine,” said Jocelyn quickly, forcing herself to smile again. “Let’s go.”

She, Hector, Remus, and Peter made their way outside, turned sharply, and, a moment later, they had appeared on the lane leading up to the old chapel the wedding was being held in. They hurried up into the chapel, which was already full of chattering people.

For the next half-hour Jocelyn made her way through the crowd, chatting and laughing with old acquaintances.

“You’re next, I hear,” Lilac Brown’s mother smiled, shooting an approving look at Hector, and trying to get a good look at Jocelyn’s left hand. Jocelyn quickly moved it behind her back, and did not speak with Mrs. Brown much longer.

It wasn’t as though she really objected to Hector, she admitted to herself, as she made her way over to her aunt, Marlene McKinnon. If, a year before, someone had told her they would be a couple, she would not of minded in the slightest. But that had been before Sirius had gone to Hogsmeade with Lily. It all seemed to go back to Sirius going to Hogsmeade with Lily. If they hadn’t gone to Hogsmeade together, then James and Sirius would not have fought; which meant that James would never have been cornered by Death Eaters; and Jocelyn would never have realized that “

But Bella still would have murdered Mum, she reminded herself. So Sirius would still have gotten hell-bent on revenge … and we’d still all be in this situation. Except Lily and James might not be getting married…

The thought wasn’t very comforting. Lily and James, happy and in love. Compared with Jocelyn and Hector, who were … content?

Jocelyn looked across the lawn at Hector, who was conversing with Frank Longbottom. He smiled at her and waved.

No, she admitted, Hector, at least, was happy and in love. She, Jocelyn, was very fond of him, but not in love; she wasn’t happy, not even really content, but she was … accepting.

She watched as Andromeda picked up little Nymphadora, then turned to smile at Ted.

I want that, her heart cried. I want children, and a family. I want someone to love me, take care of me…. She winced.

She would never have it any other way. No one wanted to share it with her. She was a mate. She looked fine. And no one wanted to share it with her except Hector … and Sirius. And she had to take Hector, because she couldn’t have Sirius.

Don’t think about, she admonished herself. Don’t think about Sirius.

She tried not to think about him as she and Hector seated themselves in the chapel. She tried not to look at him as he and James took their places at the front of the church.

This is about Lily and James, she reminded herself. Think about Lily and James!

Sirius certainly seemed to be thinking of Lily and James. His eyes were fixed on the door at the back of the church, where Lily would enter.

Think about Lily and James, thought Jocelyn fiercely. Think about Lily and James…

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~


Think about Lily and James, Sirius told himself sternly. He stared at the door at the back of the church, but didn’t really see it at all. Jocelyn was sitting next to Hector in the second row; his arm was draped casually on her shoulder, and she was staring at James with a small smile. The first notes of the Wedding March were struck, and Jocelyn’s smile widened.

Think about Lily and James!

Everyone was standing now. The door opened. Beside him, Sirius heard James inhale sharply. Lily stood framed in the doorway, looking radiant in her white gown, her red hair spilling out under the veil. She smiled dazzlingly at James as she began to make her way slowly down the aisle. Tears were streaming silently down Jocelyn’s face.

Think about Lily and James!

“Isn’t she beautiful?” James breathed.

Sirius was gazing at Jocelyn nestled under Hector’s arm.

“Yes,” he whispered. “Yes, she is.”

Fin.


A/N: Wow! It’s been almost a year (well, actually, I’ve been writing this for over a year), and what a journey it’s been! Thanks to all of you who have taken it with me (in particular: my dear friend JFig; Fawkes17; songbook99; electronicquillster & Roommate; LaneTechFreshie; jamesnlilyforever; hpbookworm06; and everyone else who took the time to leave a review or email me! You guys have made many of my days)! You are my motivation, and have made it so much fun and so worthwhile.
So please, please don’t kill me! You all knew they couldn’t be together! *hides from angry Sirius/Jocelyn shippers* (btw, a one-shot is currently in the works about Sirius and Jocelyn’s reunion, set in the summer between GoF and OotP. Tentatively titled Maybe It’s Me. Be on the lookout for it!) Also, click on my author’s page to see the beautiful banner my lovely, multi-talented beta Marzenie made me!
Again, thanks to all of you for your wonderful support. I couldn’t have written this much without you!
Much love to all,
~ Trinsy