Forbidden Love by mrsfredweasley
Summary: The trio is in their seventh year, and Hermione has a secret. She has a crush on Severus Snape. What happens when he finds out? Will he finally be able to admit his own feelings? Will anything ever come of this school-girl crush?
Categories: Hermione/Snape Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 5577 Read: 15473 Published: 04/29/05 Updated: 01/17/06

1. The Note That Started it All by mrsfredweasley

2. Mixed Emotions by mrsfredweasley

3. Sweet Dreams by mrsfredweasley

4. Almost Together by mrsfredweasley

5. So Far Away by mrsfredweasley

The Note That Started it All by mrsfredweasley
Harry, I don’t know what to do anymore. I can’t even concentrate in Potion’s class. I can’t stop thinking about him and every time he comes near our table I end up messing up my potion. Do you think he suspects anything? Harry, what am I going to do? This crush on Snape is getting out of hand!

Harry read the note quickly while trying to hide the paper under the stone table. He was the only person who knew Hermione’s secret and she definitely wanted it to stay that way. It had actually been an accident that he had found out and since that day Hermione had made sure that he never let that information slip. From then on, Harry was the only person that Hermione was able to confide her feelings too. Although Harry found the object of her affection somewhat strange, he listened willingly, knowing that she had no one else to talk to.

He scribbled a quick response and thrust the note back into Hermione’s hand under the table.

She opened it and read it as quick as she could because she could see Snape walking in their direction.

Don’t worry about it right now Hermione. We’ll talk about it later. Concentrate on your potion right now.

Hermione refolded the paper as she finished reading the note and looked up to see Professor Snape peering over her cauldron, his shiny black hair almost covering his face. Her potion, which was supposed to be a light orange color, was now bubbling blue.

“Well, well, Miss. Granger. You seem to have lost your touch,” he sneered at her with cold, dark eyes, but she drank in every word that escaped his lips. Every time he spoke, Hermione seemed to be sucked into the deep drawling tone. It was one of the many reasons that she found him so attractive.

With a last glance at the trio, Severus stalked away.

Hermione breathed a sigh of relief. She was surprised that she had gotten away with nothing more than that snide remark.

The remainder of the class passed with little excitement and soon the bell rang to signal the end of class and the start of lunch.

In her hurry to gather up her belongings and leave the classroom, Hermione did not notice the note fall to the floor. Hermione ran to catch up with Harry and Ron, who were already at the dungeon door.

*

The class filed out quickly and Severus was left alone. He walked briskly around the classroom, following his usual post class routine, making sure that the room was ready for his next class full of idiots, as he liked to call them. He had reached the back of the classroom when something on the floor caught his attention. He bent down to pick it up.

It seemed to him to be nothing but a simple note. He seized the paper in his hand and straightened up. He knew he shouldn’t but his curiosity was overwhelming. He began to unfold the parchment and started to read the untidy scrawl. Severus could feel what little color there was leave his face as his eyes skimmed the words on the page.

This can’t be true. There’s no way.

The words on the parchment provoked quite a few thoughts in his head. Doubt being one of them. He just couldn’t make himself believe that it was true. But there was no other explanation.

Severus glanced at the clock and realized that he was late for lunch in the Great Hall. If he didn’t get down there soon people would start to wonder where he was, and he wasn’t in the mood to answer questions. With one last glance at the note he folded it, tucked it into his pocket and strutted out of the door, the black fabric of his robes billowing behind him.

*

Hermione sat at the Gryffindor table chatting happily to Ron and Harry, pretending that nothing was wrong.

Ron and Harry were both eating hungrily while Hermione was picking at her food with her fork. Harry noticed this but didn’t bother to ask what was wrong because he already knew. He reached into his pocket and searched around but couldn’t find what he was looking for. After a moment of searching he looked over at Hermione and mouthed the words, “Do you have the note?”

Hermione could see the concern in Harry’s eyes which obviously meant that the piece of parchment was not in his possession. Hermione ripped open her school bag and searched every corner but couldn’t find it. She looked up at Harry and shook her head.

Harry saw the look of horror on Hermione’s face when she couldn’t find the note.

“Hermione, umm, I think I forgot something back in Snape’s class, umm, will you come with me to get it?” As he spoke he glanced at Ron a few times but he seemed to be too preoccupied with his lunch to notice anything.

“Yes, Harry, I would love to go with you,” Hermione replied nervously while shooting a glace sideways at Ron.

The two friends hurriedly got up from their seats, grabbed their books and bags, and rushed out of the hall. The walked in silent quickness until they reached the dungeon door. Only then did they slow down and stop for a breath.

Hermione turned to Harry. “Do you think it’s still here?” She asked anxiously.

“I don’t know, but we’ll find out.”

They walked quietly into the classroom, trying not to make any noise at all just in case Snape was lurking around somewhere. Neither of the two seventh year Gryffindor students had noticed him at the staff table during lunch.

The two friends tip-toed to the table that they had been sitting at and started their search for the small piece of parchment. After about ten minutes of searching the room over and over, they gave up. The two students slumped into chairs beside one another.

“It’s not here Hermione. I’m sorry.” Harry knew how much Hermione was dreading not finding the piece of paper.

“Harry,” she turned to him desperately. “You don’t think Severus found it do you?” There were almost tears in her eyes at this thought. She had tried so hard over the past few years to conceal her secret from her teacher and all her hard work go to waste because of one silly little note.
Mixed Emotions by mrsfredweasley
Hermione sat alone in the Ancient Runes classroom. She was not taking notes; she wasn’t even listening to the lecture. Her mind was fogged with thoughts of the note, and of Severus. It seemed to her that her mind was stuck in one mode. She hadn’t been able to concentrate in any of her classes since lunch time.

As the teacher’s monotone voice droned on, Hermione’s thoughts shifted from Severus himself to the note and whether or not he found it.

I really hope Severus didn’t find that note, but where could it have gone. I was the last one to leave the class except for him. I don’t know what I’d do if I find out he has it. What is he going to think? He already thinks I’m slacking off in Potions Class. I just can’t take this…

Hermione snapped back into reality at the sound of her professor’s voice.

“Miss Granger, I see that you have not taken down a single note. Are you even paying attention?” He asked sternly.

“Yes…yes Sir. I am,” she responded shyly.

“Very well,” he said and turned back to address the entire class. “Your homework tonight is on page three hundred and ninety four.

Hermione opened her textbook and pretended to read as her thoughts drifted back to Severus.
Severus paced in front of his desk as the noisy first years worked sloppily on their potions. He just couldn’t seem to erase the thought of that note from his mind. Thoughts of Hermione flashed in and out of his mind and to his disgust he didn’t seem to mind at all.

Severus, you must stop this way of thinking. It’s not right. She is your student, but a very smart and beautiful student.

Severus shook his head as though to attempt to shake the thoughts out. He found himself nervously playing with the lining or his long black cape as he held it in his hand.

I don’t even know if what the note said is actually true. It might be wrong. How could it be wrong? That was her handwriting. I would recognize that perfect printing anywhere. She always takes such care in her work. She is such a bright child, no, young women. That is exactly what she is. She has grown up so wonderfully. I remember the child that she was back in her first year, and now look at her, beautifully radiant and perfect.

The end-of-class bell rang and startled Severus, who, being so submersed in thought, had not realized the time pass so quickly. He watched as the last little brat scurried out of the classroom and then retreated to his private chambers for a quick drink before dinner.
Harry, Ron and Hermione sat alone at a table in the Gryffindor Common Room. They had a bit of time before dinner and decided to get a head start on their homework. Hermione, who was always the one to push the others along, was finding it extremely hard to concentrate. She could see Harry glance at her every so often as though he wanted to say something, but then thought better of it.

Ron, who was pouring over an incredibly hard Potions essay, was the first to break the silence.

“I can’t believe that stupid git wants six feet of parchment on the uses of brimstone. That’s insane. I’ve been working on this for days now and I still haven’t reached four feet.”

Hermione bit her lip to keep quiet, knowing that she couldn’t very well defend Severus in front of Ron. She suspected that he was suspicious enough as it was, she didn’t need to add fuel to the fire. Harry, however, could tell that Ron’s comment had hurt Hermione and with all the help that Severus had provided for the Order, Harry had actually grown quite fond of him, although he never said anything about it to Ron.

“Ron, you know, Snape’s not all that bad.”

Ron turned to Harry, shock showing on his pale face.

“Are you serious? I can’t believe you just defended that jerk. What happened? I thought you hated him too.”

“I do, well, at least I did. What I mean is, can’t you just forget about all that. He did help the Order a lot in the past few years. If it wasn’t for him we wouldn’t know a lot of the things that we do now. He put his life on the line for the Order. I think that is justification enough that he’s a decent man. So what if he assigns a lot of homework?”

Ron didn’t know what to say to this. He knew that Harry was right about everything. If it wasn’t for Snape the Order would not be as successful as it is, in fact, the Order may not even exist now if it wasn’t for that man.

Ron bowed his head in defeat.

“I know your right Harry. I just can’t seem to put it all behind me. He was always so cruel to us three. You know that. All the times he humiliated us in front of the entire class because our potions weren’t right or something like that. I guess I’m just being stubborn.”

Hermione couldn’t believe her ears. She knew how much Ron disliked Severus and he had good reason too. Snape always seemed to single him out and critic his work the most and this obviously bothered Ron. He had every right to not like his professor and Hermione could not believe how reasonable he was being about everything, but she was glad to know that Ron no longer wanted to strangle the object of her affections, a task that he had expressed a feeling to perform many times.

The rest of the time before the trio proceeded down to the Great Hall for dinner that evening passed in silence.

Sweet Dreams by mrsfredweasley
The sounds of the noisy Hogwarts students in the Great Hall filled Hermione’s ears as she sat in her usual spot across from Ron and Harry at the Gryffindor table.

Ron and Harry, in between mouthfuls, were chatting merrily about the current Quidditch standings and the upcoming match against Slytherin. Hermione, however, was not interested in Quidditch. She hadn’t even paid much attention to the delicious food on the golden plate in front of her. Her mind was filled with thoughts of her dear Potions Master. A few times she even caught herself gazing up at the staff table at Severus. Only when his cold, dark eyes met hers did she realize what she was doing and divert her attention. Once, she had glanced over and found that her teacher was peering down at her, although, she could not quite decipher the expression that he wore. When he noticed her eyes on him he quickly turned back to Professor Flitwick and resumed conversation.

“You alright Hermione? You’re not eating anything.”

Hermione drifted out of her thoughts and back to reality at the sound of Ron’s voice.

“Yeah, I’m fine, bit of a stomach-ache, that’s all,” she replied. “I think I’ll go up to bed now.”

Ron and Harry both looked at her with concern.

“Alright. I hope you feel better in the morning,” Harry said sympathetically.

“Thanks Harry. Goodnight guys.” She got up, placed her napkin on the table and made her way out of the Great Hall. She paused at the doorway to take one last glance at her beloved teacher before leaving. Severus didn’t notice, though, because he was deeply engaged in conversation. Hermione savored her last look as she turned to walk out of the hall.

*

Severus chanced another glance at the Gryffindor table. He was Ron and Harry, but not Hermione. His eyes searched the room but she was no where to be found. When he realized what he was doing, Severus wondered why he was so keen on seeing the young Gryffindor beauty. He shook his head in a failed attempt to erase the thoughts of her from his mind.

Realizing that the only reason for his long presence in the Great Hall was no longer there, Severus excused himself and headed for the dungeons.

Walking briskly through the dark corridors to his quarters, Severus was finding it quite impossible to remove Hermione from his thoughts. No matter how hard he tried, he just couldn’t seem to get her out of his head.

He reached the cold, stone door in what seemed like forever, and it swung open with a simple spell. The interior was darkly decorated with black furniture and velvet and silk fabrics. The chambers seemed to suit Severus quite well; dark and mysterious.

As he walked through the door he wasted no time on removing his cape. It landed, haphazardly, on a plush, black armchair.

He made his way to the bedroom, but not before pouring himself a glass of brandy which he took down in one quick swig.

When he reached the bedroom he unbuttoned his black shirt, removed it, and threw it to the floor, before lying on his back on the high, canopy bed.

*

Hermione, lying, fully clothed on her bed was overcome with thought.

What am I going to do? He must know. Why else would he have been looking at me the way he did at dinner? He must think I’m crazy, but I just can’t help myself. I’m just so attracted to him. The dark eyes and cold draw; it makes me melt. And he’s so mysterious. It’s so sexy.

He is so secretive, it makes you wonder if he would even let anyone in, especially me.

Besides, he did all that dangerous work for the Order. He was loyal to them the whole time, even when he was almost caught. He’s so brave.

Stop it Hermione, he’s your teacher, you can’t think of him that way, and besides, he’d never have you.


Hermione rolled over on the bed and tried to block out her thoughts.

*

Severus, lying on his bed was also preoccupied with thought. He was still trying to wrap his head around the idea that a woman, especially a student, could have feelings other than hate for him.

I just don’t get it, why me? What is so special about me? Nothing! She’s young, she doesn’t know what she’s feeling. This is no big deal, it’ll pass and all will be forgotten.
But maybe I don’t want it to be forgotten. Maybe I want something to come of this.

Wait a minute Severus, this can’t be, you can’t be falling for her. She’s your student!

I know, but I’m finding it quite hard not to think about her like that. She’s a bright, beautiful, young woman now. She is not at all like the small, outspoken child she was when she started in her first year.


He turned over in an attempt to block out this internal battle that he was fighting with himself.

*

Hermione’s chest rose and fell as she breathed softly while she slept.

~

He took her hand in his as he gently pulled her close and kissed her softly on the neck.

“Oh, Severus,” she allowed a soft moan to escape her red lips.

“Shh,” he whispered and placed a finger to her lips to silence her.

When he removed his finger it was soon replaced by his soft, moist lips. He pressed them to hers in a passionate, but soft kiss. She wrapped her arms around his neck and tangled her fingers in his soft black hair.

His hand was on her waist as he moved his body closer to hers. They were so close now that she could feel the heat from his body and the beat of his heart.

“Oh, my dear Hermione,” he whispered in her ear. “Hermione…”

~

Severus drifted off into a deep sleep as he lay, alone, on his bed.

~

Her lips were soft on his as she pressed them against him. She tasted sweet, just as she should. His arms were tight around her waist and he kissed her deeply, and she kissed him back, hands resting on his chest.

His hands were roaming her body, feeling every inch of it, slowly exploring this young vixen.

“Hermione,” he whispered to her. “I am so glad we are here together.”

His fingers found the buttons of her shirt and slowly, one-by-one, they were undone.

“Severus,” she moaned. “Severus…”

~

“Hermione, get up. You’re going to be late for Potions class.”

Hermione sat up in her bed and looked towards the door. Ginny Weasley was standing there looking quite annoyed.

“It’s about time you got up. I’ve only been standing here for the last ten minutes,” displeasure could be heard in her voice.

“Alright, alright. I’m sorry Ginny. I’m just so tired. I’m up now, don’t worry. Thanks a lot for coming to wake me up,” Hermione replied sleepily. She was quite disappointed to have been awakened from such a nice dream.

“Well, I didn’t want you to be late for Potions. I know how Snape is when you’re late.” With that she turned and walked out of the dormitory.

*

Severus awoke sweating. He looked around, he was alone.

It had been a dream, and a wonderful dream, too. In a moment he realized that it was morning and that he soon had to be in his classroom teaching, but would much rather stay here and retreat back into his dream world.


Almost Together by mrsfredweasley
As Severus stood in the shower, letting the hot water cascade over his pale, naked body, a thought occurred to him. He realized that he would be teaching the seventh years this morning; that meant that he would have to see Hermione. After coming to accept his true feelings for the young woman only last night, he was not entirely sure that he was ready to see her face-to-face. Not only this, but the dream that he had been so abruptly woken from had sparked a few ideas for him. Ideas he did not want to bring into the classroom with him.

Coming to the conclusion that there was no other option but to arrive at the classroom and hope that he could keep him self in line, he stepped out of the shower and wrapped a black towel around his thin, but firm, body.

He dressed quickly as he realized he only had a few minutes to get to the classroom.

*

Hermione, although about to be late herself, was taking extra care with her appearance this morning. She had made up her mind to attempt to get Severus’ attention and see if this crush was something worth dwelling on.

When Hermione was satisfied with the image that was staring back at her, she grabbed her Potions’ books and rushed out of the room with only a few minutes to spare.

*

Severus entered the dark classroom only a minute before the bell. Most of the class was already there. When a few stragglers sauntered in as the bell was ringing, Severus snapped at them to hurry up. A few moments later Hermione rushed in, out of breath, muttering her apologies.

“That’s alright, Miss Granger. Have a seat please,” he responded calmly.

“…I’m sorry Professor. It’ll never happen again…” she continued.

“Miss Granger, I said it’s alright. Have a seat please.”

Hermione stopped her hurried mumbling and gazed at her teacher, obviously shocked that he hadn’t tried to punish her for her lateness.

Severus looked away quickly and walked back to his desk. He could feel all the eyes in the room on him.

Get a hold of yourself, Severus. Just because you have feelings for her does not mean you can treat her different from the others.

He turned back to the class and began explaining all fourteen uses of Vampire teeth. Hermione tried hard to concentrate on her note-taking but still found herself fixated on Severus every-so-often.

*

As the end of class neared, Severus called for the students to clear their tables and put away their belongings. Within moments the bell sounded to signal the end of class.

“Miss Granger, can I see you for a moment please?” Severus called over the loud footsteps of the exiting students.

Hermione turned to Ron and Harry, concern flashing in her eyes.

“Don’t worry, Hermione,” Harry whispered comfortingly. “I’m sure it’s nothing. We’ll wait outside.”

“No,” she replied. “It’s okay. I’ll see you down at lunch.” She turned and walked towards Severus as the two boys left through the open door.

Hermione and Severus were now the only ones left in the room and she could feel her heart beating faster and faster with every second that passed.

Silently, Severus swept past her, cloak flowing behind her, and shut the door. He turned to her, a slight grin occupying his thin lips, and motioned for her to come closer. She did, cautiously, not taking her eyes off of him.

Severus closed his pale fingers around her thin wrist and pulled her closer to him. She could feel the warmth coming from his body.

“Professor,” Hermione protested meekly. “What are you doing?”

“Please, Hermione, call me Severus,” he replied in a voice that did not sound like his own. His tone was not cold and harsh as usual; instead, his tone was warm and full of passion.

Hermione opened her mouth to speak again but before she could get any words out, Severus put a finger to his lips.

“Shh, darling. Don’t fight it.”

Hermione regained her voice. “Professor Snape, what are you doing? This isn’t right. I am your student and you are my teacher.”

Hermione couldn’t believe the words coming out of her own mouth. She was protesting against the one thing that she so desperately wanted.

She tried to pull away from him, but he would not release her.

“Hermione, dear, stop fighting. I know you want this as much as I do, I’ve seen the note. That’s what made me realize just how much a care for you too.”

Hermione stopped struggling.

He’s seen it! I knew it. But what was that he said? He cares for me too? This can’t be. I don’t believe it. I won’t believe it. But it must be true. He wouldn’t lie about something like this.

I might as well just give in. I know, just as he knows, that I want it. I can’t deny it any longer.

“Alright…Severus, I won’t fight it anymore. You obviously know the truth. I want you. I want you more than anything else in the world.”

“I want you too Hermione, it just took me a little longer to figure that out. But now I have and I can’t deny it any more.”

He pulled her in close and pressed his lips to hers. She tasted sweet, just as he thought she would. He didn’t want to let her go. His tongue begged for entrance and she accepted his plea and parted her lips. As his tongue moved against hers she felt shivers crawl up her spine. This is what she had always dreamed of, but it was better than any dream she had had before now. She wanted to be able to stand here forever with him; just the two of them.

Just as Severus was about to place his hand on her breast they heard a faint click and moved away from each other. They had barely parted when the large stone door swung open and Professor Dumbledore was seen standing in the doorway.

“Good afternoon Severus, Miss Granger,” he said rather calmly.

“Good afternoon, Professor Dumbledore,” Severus replied nervously. “I was, umm, just going over one of the latest assignments with Miss Granger here, but we’ve finished now. You may leave now Miss Granger,” he said, turning to look at her.

She nodded, grabbed her stuff and left silently.

Once Hermione was gone Dumbledore turned back to Severus.

“I’ve never known you to give extra help to students, Severus.”

“Well, she is such an exceptional student. I just wish to see her succeed with the highest grade possible.”

*

Hermione walked quickly down the cold, dark passageway, a smile inhabiting her lips.
So Far Away by mrsfredweasley
“So Hermione, what did Snape want anyway?” Ron questioned curiously, looking across the table at Hermione.

“Nothing really. He just went over that last essay we had to do. Apparently I missed all of the more important point,” Hermione lied.

“Oh,” Ron sounded surprised. “Since when does Snape go over homework with students?”

Just then, a large, black raven flew into the Great Hall and dropped a small envelope on the plate in front of Hermione. She took one look at the parchment and immediately recognized the perfect print that spelled out her name. She quickly scooped up the letter in her hand and tried to hide it from sight.

“What’s that?” Hermione wouldn’t look at Ron as she tried to think up a good enough lie. She couldn’t possibly tell him the truth.

“It’s nothing,” she said simply, hoping this would be a good enough explanation for him, although it didn’t seem to be an explanation at all.

“What do you mean nothing? It must be something.”

“Hey, Hermione, weren’t you waiting for a reply from the Daily Prophet about the letter you sent them? Is that it?” Harry was quick to think of a cover-up.

“Yes!” Hermione said, maybe a bit too enthusiastically. “That’s exactly what it is. Well, guys, I have to go and get something from my room. I’ll meet you in class.” She got up quickly and almost ran out of the hall. She desperately wanted to know what was in the note.

Hermione ducked into the first empty classroom she found and pulled the piece of parchment out of her pocket.

Dear Hermione,

Meet me tonight at 8:00 in the Potions classroom.

Love Severus


The note was short but to Hermione it meant the world. He wanted to meet her, tonight.

Should I go? What am I talking, about?! Of course I should go. I can’t believe this is happening to me. All my dreams are finally coming true, and it’s all because of one silly little note.

After a moment of silent thinking Hermione left her classroom and made her way to the History of Magic classroom.

*

Severus paced his room, thinking to himself.

I hope she shows up tonight, but I won’t blame her if she doesn’t. I mean, I know, just as she knows, that this is all wrong. But I can’t help it. I can’t help how I feel about her. I can’t get her off of my mind, and I don’t think I want to either. I love feeling this way.

He walked over to the counter and poured himself a drink. In one quick gulp it was gone. He grabbed his cloak and headed off to teach his last class for the day.

*

Hermione sat in the History of Magic classroom, not at all listening to what the teacher was saying. She was too preoccupied with being nervous about her meeting that night with Severus.

Time seemed to be moving slower than usual; each second ticking away ever so slowly. Hermione found herself looking at the clock almost every minute and with each glance she got increasingly frustrated that time wasn’t moving faster.

* * * * *

Severus sat, alone in the dark Potions classroom, awaiting the arrival of his student. His nerves were getting the better of him, despite all the drinks he had had in his room mere minutes ago. He was getting more and more nervous with every minute that passed.

He glanced at the clock. 8:00 exactly.

She should be here any minute he thought to himself.

He got up and began to walk nervously around the room, wringing his hands in front of him.

8:02. Where was she? Maybe she’s just late, don’t worry. She’ll come.

8:05. Why hasn’t she arrived yet?

8:08. Face it Severus. She’s not going to come. You were stupid to think she would show up tonight. You saw her this morning. She didn’t want to be near you. No, she was just scared. She was unsure. The note had to have been true. Why would anyone make that up? But then why isn’t she here? There’s no other explanation. She stood you up!

Severus walked over to the chair he had been sitting on only minutes ago and picked up his long black cloak. He took one last look at the clock. 8:16.

Walking out of the room, he closed the door behind him and headed for his quarters.

*

Hermione looked at the clock in her dormitory. 8:13.

Oh my gosh! I’m late. I can’t believe this. My one chance and I fuck it up.

Grabbing her sweater and taking one last look in the mirror she ran out of the room, down the stairs, and flew out of the portrait hole.

She ran, without stopping all the to the dungeons, only then did she stop to catch her breath.

I really hope he’s not mad. I can’t believe I lost track of time like that.

She reached the door, took a deep breath and pushed it open. She looked around, but the room was empty.

He must have changed his mind. I knew this was too good to be true.

She turned and walked back down the corridor, never pausing to look back.

*

Severus roamed his room.

Maybe she was just late. Maybe I should go back and check if she’s shown up.

He left again, heading back in the direction of the Potions’ classroom. He arrived and the room was just as it had been when he left.

He waited, but she never came.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=21025