In Adversity We Know Our Friends by Wise Owl
Summary: This story is about Harry's struggle...his struggle to obey his mind when his heart is screaming out in protest .

It's about Ginny's secrets, her aching heart, and where her loyalty lies.
Mainly, this story is about friends, those you can trust and those who can't trust you.

Reviews are fun and easy! So don't shy away from stating your opinion...trust me, it feeds the fire so I'm not left out in the cold! ;)
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 44 Completed: No Word count: 100265 Read: 152026 Published: 05/23/05 Updated: 07/10/07

1. Which Witch is Which? by Wise Owl

2. Some Things are Relative by Wise Owl

3. Airing the Dirty Laundry by Wise Owl

4. Out of the Cauldron and Into the Fire by Wise Owl

5. They All Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Wise Owl

6. A Good Friend of my Father, is a Father to Me by Wise Owl

7. Love is an Exploding Cigar by Wise Owl

8. Wise OWLS by Wise Owl

9. Birthday Wishes by Wise Owl

10. Ditzy Blitz by Wise Owl

11. The Prodigal Son Returns by Wise Owl

12. No Complications by Wise Owl

13. A Woman’s Prerogative by Wise Owl

14. Ze Wedding Allée by Wise Owl

15. The Brooding Table by Wise Owl

16. Innocent Until Proven Guilty by Wise Owl

17. Aunt Petunia’s Secret Horror by Wise Owl

18. Care of Magical Creatures by Wise Owl

19. Volcency by Wise Owl

20. Snape’s Slytherin Soldiers by Wise Owl

21. Voltara by Wise Owl

22. Dumbledore’s Army Returns by Wise Owl

23. Shattered Dreams by Wise Owl

24. The Mole by Wise Owl

25. Lost by Wise Owl

26. Emma Potter by Wise Owl

27. Betrayal Amongst Friends by Wise Owl

28. One Werewolf Short by Wise Owl

29. The Gamekeeper Return’s by Wise Owl

30. Just Another Dean by Wise Owl

31. The New Professor by Wise Owl

32. A Catastrophe of Giant Proportions by Wise Owl

33. Lockdown by Wise Owl

34. Half Blood Prince by Wise Owl

35. WWXII by Wise Owl

36. The Dove by Wise Owl

37. Booty Seizure by Wise Owl

38. The White Dove by Wise Owl

39. HISSS by Wise Owl

40. Backstabbers and Two-Faced Rats by Wise Owl

41. Allergies by Wise Owl

42. Save Ginny by Wise Owl

43. Sapphire Eyes by Wise Owl

44. Ameen Khalali by Wise Owl

Which Witch is Which? by Wise Owl
The Dursley’s of number 4 Privet Drive stood outside their house among the curious onlookers, eagerly anticipating the verdict of the judges that were closely inspecting their lawn that had been meticulously trimmed and weeded. They were the only living relatives Harry Potter had. He stood in his room quietly observing the scene below him. His skinny, horse-faced Aunt Petunia was biting her lower lip nervously as one of the judges approached her prized begonias. It was clear to Harry that she was agonized by the thought of someone touching her precious flowers. Portly Uncle Vernon was petting his moustache while pompously boasting to another judge about the new manure he had employed to great effect.

Dudley Dursley, Harry’s cousin and childhood tormenter, stood eyeing a surly looking girl named Mafalda. She had moved onto Privet Drive only days after Harry returned home from school. A grin appeared on Harry’s face as he remembered how Dudley had attempted to impress her. He had thrown a giant bag of Uncle Vernon’s manure over his shoulder unaware it had already been torn open. This had sent manure all over causing Mafalda to burst into hysterical laughter. Embarrassed, Dudley had attempted to scuttle into the house when the sprinklers, as though by magic, had turned on.

The manure mixed with water had become what its name promised to be, a big pile of dung. It was in that pile Dudley slipped; he had gone flying into the air landing hard on his oversized bottom. Of course Harry had been blamed for the manure that Dudley had tracked into the house when he managed to escape Mafalda and Harry’s laughter. Aunt Petunia had forced him to clean the floors of the entire house with a rag and soapy water; still, it had been well worth it. That, undoubtedly, was the highlight of the two weeks that he had spent at home with the Dursley’s.

Harry let the curtain fall as he walked to his bed and threw himself onto it folding his hands behind his head. By all means, the Dursley’s appeared to be a normal family. He was the one that they labeled a freak because he was a wizard. They were what the wizarding world referred to as muggles, or non-magic people. At the age of eleven he had learned the hideous truth that his parents were murdered by a powerful dark-wizard, Lord Voldemort. After killing his parents Voldemort had turned on the one year old Harry with the killing curse, strangely the curse had rebounded leaving Voldemort barely alive and Harry with a scar. It was what made him famous, the feature that distinguished him as the-boy-who-lived. Harry Potter, the only human ever to have survived the killing curse, had lifted the terror that the wizarding world lived in. Not that he could remember any of that.

Harry did remember thwarting Voldemort’s ongoing attempts to kill him and regain power. Lord Voldemort’s first rise to power had been marked by missing people and strange deaths. Nothing had changed. Now he was rising to power again, murdering again. In his third year at Hogwart’s Harry learned he had a godfather, Sirius Black. Sirius was Harry’s silver lining. The parent he never had. The threat held over the Dursley’s head if they mistreated him as they so often did. He was the best man at his parents wedding. He was his father’s greatest friend. He was dead…Sirius was dead…murdered by one of Voldemort’s followers. Harry took the now misty glasses he wore off his face angry that he had once again allowed himself down that trail of thought.

Harry slid off his bed, sitting with his back against his mattress. Sitting upright seemed to be the only way Harry could manage to regain control when the knot in his chest threatened to overwhelm him, he fought hard to get his breathing even again. Suddenly, he heard a loud cheer go up among the crowd in front of the house. Harry had no difficulty surmising that the Dursley’s lawn had been named best lawn in the neighborhood. He took solace in knowing that they would undoubtedly be showing off their perfect lawn to all the neighbors, thereby leaving him with the next couple of hours to himself.

Harry quickly regained composure after that and, reaching under his bed to a useful loose floor-board that the Dursley’s did not know about, he extracted a curious letter his best friends Ron and Hermione had sent. More than anything, their attempt at collaboration put a smile on his face. He could almost hear Hermione in her bossy tone telling Ron that she would write the letter because her handwriting was legible as opposed to his troll scroll. Although he felt sad at the thought of them being in the burrow without him, their letter gave him heart:

Harry,

Sorry we haven’t been able to write you the past few days. Fred and George have been testing their inventions on the owls. They gave Errol a ditzy blitz (looks like muggle gummy worms that spin on their own) ever since than he fly’s around the house spinning himself dizzy. Honestly! Those two, with their silly inventions!

Could you imagine if they had managed to give that stuff to Pigwidgeon before we stole him away? That git is already insane!

That was from Ron. I told him his writing is not exactly legible, but there you are. The good news is Professor Dumbledore gave the okay for you to come and join us! Hang in there for now, you’ll be here soon. Very soon! Take care till then.

Love from,
Hermione AND RON!!!


Harry smiled as he set the letter down. He could definitely imagine Fred and George, Ron’s older twin brothers, wreaking havoc. He had secretly helped fund their joke shop, to their mother’s dismay, and last he heard business was thriving. Harry found it curious that they did not give him a date and time to be ready. He had therefore decided to not share with the Dursley’s that wizards may be descending upon their home at any moment. He would relish the looks on their faces when it actually happened. The hysterical laughter followed by the slamming of the front door quickly pushed all thoughts from Harry’s mind. His curiosity piqued, Harry went to see what all the commotion was about.

A harassed looking Dudley entered the kitchen with yellow feathers trailing him. By the looks of it, Harry could swear that Dudley had just been the victim of a canary cream, but how could that be? A swift glance out the window confirmed no Weasley was outside. Perplexed, Harry came down the stairs and into the kitchen. Dudley was pulling the last of the feathers from his bottom. He decided that the best course of action was to simply ask.

“Who gave you the canary cream?” his remark sounded off the cuff as he settled into a chair. Dudley was eyeing him nervously, as though he was unsure of whether or not to answer.

“Falda,” Dudley finally muttered under his breath.

“What’s that?” Harry questioned him bolting upright and leaning towards Dudley suspiciously.

“Mafalda,” whimpered Dudley.

Harry reeled at the information Dudley had inadvertently given him. If Mafalda had indeed given Dudley the canary crème that could only mean one thing, she was a witch.

“How old is she?” Harry continued to question Dudley. If Dudley had found this question odd he didn’t show it.

“Fourteen, I think,” Dudley answered hesitantly, eyeing Harry. The same conclusion seemed to form in both of their minds at once.

“Doshegotourcool?” Dudley struggled to get his question out.

Harry knew that Dudley had meant to say ‘does she go to your school.’ Scratching his head, he attempted to picture her in Hogwarts robes. A picture of Ginny Weasley, Ron’s younger sister, talking to a young witch came to mind. Harry knew all at once that Mafalda was indeed a witch. Nodding to himself he tried to remember if he knew which house Mafalda belonged to, he didn’t. A crestfallen Dudley slumped into the chair opposite him. Clearly, he was taking the news that Mafalda was a witch hard. Harry got up to leave when the sound of Dudley clearing his throat stopped him.

“Would you…” Dudley’s voice trailed off, he seemed to refocus and swallowing hard tried again, “Would you not tell, mum and dad that is?”

He looked up at Harry waiting for a reply. Truth be told, Harry had no intention of informing his Aunt and Uncle that a witch had taken residence across the street from them. He gave Dudley a curt nod before proceeding up the stairs to think about what he had learned. Sitting on his bed he wondered whether it was sheer coincidence that a young witch had moved in across the street from him. He decided on the only course of action that he could take without arousing any suspicion. Taking a piece of parchment, a quill, and a bottle of ink from the trunk that lay open at the end of his bed he began to scribble a letter to Ginny. When he had finished he reread his letter to make sure he had not made an errors in his haste:

Ginny,

A young witch named Mafalda has moved in across the street from the Dursley’s and I remember seeing you talking to her. Today she gave my cousin Dudley a canary crème. It was pretty funny. Is she your friend? Could you let me know which house she’s in? Hope your having a nice break. Please write back soon.

Harry

He thought about adding more but he didn’t want Ginny to know how nonplussed having a witch across the street made him feel. He would have to wait until the crowd outside dispersed before sending Hedwig to Ginny. Normally, he would have felt odd writing to Ginny as she had once had a crush on him, but he knew that she no longer fancied him. In fact she hadn’t for a while. During the previous year, she had been dating a wizard named Michael at the same time he, Harry, had dated Cho Chang. Thankfully that was all over now. On the Hogwarts Express Ginny had shared the news that Michael and Cho were now dating. The two were rather well suited as Cho was annoyingly whiney and Michael, as Ron had termed him, was ‘a stupid git’.

Harry had glanced at Ginny and shared her amusement over the new couple. She however, delivered yet another bombshell that she now had her eye on Dean Thomas. Ginny’s announcement about Dean surprised him. Of course it had floored Ron, who complained about her poor taste the rest of their trip home. Dean wasn’t a terrible fellow, but Harry knew how protective all the Weasley boys were about their only sister. He smiled in spite of himself; Ginny had proven this past year to be quite mischievous with pranks worthy of Fred and George. She had also taken over his quidditch position and beat Cho to the snitch winning the quidditch cup.

When he had led the students in forming a secret organization, called Dumbledore’s Army, Ginny was one of the youngest students allowed to join. She had difficulty with many of the spells, yet with her persistence and Hermione’s help she was quickly mastering the tough spells he taught them. This year she planned to try out for one of the chaser positions on the Gryffindor quidditch team. Harry knew she had a great chance of being picked because she could really fly.

He replaced the ink bottle and quill in his trunk and placed Ginny’s note under the floor-board. Lying back onto his mattress he let thoughts of next years Gryffindor quidditch team run though his mind.
Some Things are Relative by Wise Owl
Three days had passed since he had sent Hedwig to Ginny, a curiously long time and there was still no sign of her.

“ARE’NT YOU DRESSED YET, BOY?!” hollered Uncle Vernon from the foot of the stairs.

“I’ll be right down!” responded Harry hotly as he moved away from the window he had been looking out of. Knowing he was fighting a losing battle he threw his fine-toothed comb onto his desk his attempts to get his hair to lay flat on his head were futile. The prior evening Aunt Petunia had received a phone call from Mrs. Prewett, Mafalda’s mother, inviting them all to dinner for the following night. Knowing how smitten Dudley was with Mafalda, Aunt Petunia readily agreed. Dudley had kept quiet all throughout dinner while his mother and father discussed the Prewett’s.

“Nice man that Joseph Prewett complimented my car the other day.”

“Ophelia Prewett came by yesterday during the soaps; we had a cup of tea.”

“They were the first to congratulate us after our lawn won as well!”

“I traded my lemon meringue pie recipe for her queen pudding; the secret is to add…”

“He’s a stockbroker, runs his own company…”

“…raspberry, strawberry, and plum…”

“…works in the new building across from Grunnings…”

“…jam!”

“ENOUGH!”

Dudley had jumped up, red faced, and angrily eyeing his parents.

“DO-NOT-EMBRASS-ME-TOMORROW!” he bellowed storming out of the kitchen and running up the stairs.

Aunt Petunia had mouthed wordlessly at Uncle Vernon completely in shock. Uncle Vernon’s eyebrows had recessed well into his hair line at Dudley’s outburst. Slow they had turned to Harry who was having difficulty keeping his face straight. Before they could say anything Harry had grabbed his plate still full of food and ran up the stairs to his room. It was a testament to their shock that they did not yell at him for taking the good china upstairs. Dudley had stayed in his room refusing any dinner. He had come out late that night to Harry’s room to ensure that he would be accompanying them to the Prewetts’ for dinner. Harry was forced to agree out of the fear of how his Aunt and Uncle would react if they learned that the Prewett’s were magical folk.

With one last look out the window Harry resigned himself to facing the Prewett’s without any aid Ginny might have given him. He threw his dress coat on and headed down the stairs. Aunt Petunia was tightly wrapping the dessert she prepared while Uncle Vernon waited apprehensively at the foot of the stairs.

“Aha…Erm…Dudley! Son! Time to get going.”

Dudley walked down the stairs and went straight to the front door. His cologne could be smelled from miles away and it looked as though he had tried to shave the non-existent hair off his face. He looked around as Harry, Aunt Petunia, and Uncle Vernon formed a line behind him before setting off across the street. Once they had reached their destination he gave a warning glance over his shoulders than knocked at the Prewetts’ front door.

“Welcome, welcome!” boomed Mr. Prewett opening the door wide and shaking their hands as they entered.

“So good to see you again Petunia,” Mrs. Prewett said and laced her arm ushering everyone into the living room.

In contrast with Uncle Vernon’s suit, Mr. Prewett wore pants and a sweater making him look incredibly homely and comforting. He was completely bald and wore small rimmed glasses that rested at the tip of his nose.

Mrs. Prewett held the tray to Harry, “Hors d'oeuvre dear?”

“Thank you,” he replied politely taking one. She wore a dress just like Aunt Petunia’s frilly one. She had high cheek bones, a wide forehead, pointy nose, and her long blond hair was fastened at the nape of her neck.

Looking around Harry felt a sense of relief. The furniture made no comments, the clock had numbers on it, and the appliances were plugged in and seemed to serve their correct function. He sat back into the comfy couch noting that the desk in the hall way had envelopes and a phone. Either the Prewett’s were brilliantly camouflaged, or they were really muggles. Maybe he hadn’t really needed to write to Ginny after all.

Dudley, whose eyes locked on the stairwell the moment they entered, suddenly stood up. They heard giggling as a pair of feet began to descend. Harry decided to follow suit and stood next to Dudley so he wouldn’t look like foolish.

Mr. Prewett cleared his throat and moved to the banister. Still smiling, he called up, “Come along than girls.”

Girls? He hadn’t realized that Mafalda had a sister. Mafalda made her way down the stairs. Her black hair was in a ponytail, she wore a mini-skirt, stockings and a t-shirt of a popular band that was artistically torn. Unlike her mother she had no delicate features, her lips were curled up into their usual sneer and her thick eyebrows made her look drowsy. As she caught her father’s eye she halted her eyebrows lifted under bangs as she attempted to look innocent. He in return gave her a knowing look over the top of his glasses and a smile broke out onto her face.

“She’ll be down once she finds her shoes,” she seemed to answer his unasked question.

“And they are…?”

Smiling more broadly, “They could have found their way into the shower.”

“Did you hear that, dear?” he yelled up the stairs.

“I’m on it!” a new, yet familiar voice shouted down.

It seemed Dudley’s little girlfriend also enjoyed picking on others and hiding their possessions. Mafalda walked into the living room, eyed Dudley up and down before turning her back on him and shook hands with his mother and father. Another girl appeared at the stairwell she was apparently having difficulty putting on her shoes. She jumped from one stair to the other on one foot while placing her heel on her right foot and then did the same for her left foot. The situation would have been amusing if Harry wasn’t worried about the possibility of the girl falling down the stairs. Finally when she had gotten her heels on, she walked normally down a couple stairs producing squelching sounds and stopped. Apparently the shower her shoes had been taken hostage in had been running.

A snort escaped Mafalda as another giggling fit overtook her. This seemed to strengthen her sister’s resolve however, because she marched right down the stairs pretending to be unaware of the squelching noises. Harry felt his stomach tighten but knew he it wasn’t because of hunger. This new girl was dressed more modestly than Mafalda; she was wearing a long khaki skirt. As she reached the last stair he saw a bright green blouse. Without realizing it he was patting down the hair on his head attempting one last time to get it to lie flat. Her long red hair fanned out behind her when she turned and looked directly at him. Harry swallowed hard. Ginny Weasley appeared at the bottom of the stairs.

“Everyone, I would like you to meet my niece Ginny. She’s visiting us for a bit.” Mr. Prewett said as he introduced her to each of the Dursley’s in turn.

Harry reeled with shock. Ginny was his niece? Ginny was staying on Privet Drive? Ginny reached him hand outstretched and winked. Tight lipped he shook her hand. The Dursley’s must not know that these are not muggles he firmly reminded himself.

“Why don’t we move into the dining room?” Mrs. Prewett asked taking hold of Mafalda and leading everyone along another hallway.

He glanced at his Uncle and Aunt as they all made their way into the dining room to see if they had recognized her. Clearly, they had not. Ginny ended up sitting opposite of him apparently amused by his reaction. Mrs. Prewett took the cover off the platters and wonderful wafts of meatloaf, potatoes, gravy and sautéed mushrooms assailed his senses.

Mafalda sent up a funny prayer, “Good food, good meat, good God, lets eat,” and everyone ravenously attacked the food.
Airing the Dirty Laundry by Wise Owl
Harry had three helpings of every thing. Even Aunt Petunia was now sitting back in her chair for air. She normally had the appetite of a sparrow but dropped all pretenses at the sight of such a scrumptious meal, rivaling Uncle Vernon in her appetite.

“Vernon, how’s about you join me in the old study for a cigar? Got them imported fresh you know,” Mr. Prewett offered.

“You do that!” Aunt Petunia encouraged them, “Give Ophelia and I a chance to clear up…”

“Oh, no don’t you touch that Ginny! You kids go outside for a walk, get some air, and make room for dessert!” Mrs. Prewett chimed in.

The four of them filed out of the house into the night air. Dudley pulled Mafalda to the side and began to talk to her under his breath throwing suspicious glances at Harry.

“We’ll just be off for a walk then,” Harry said surprising Ginny as he half-dragged her from the front lawn.

“Harry! You’re hurting me!” Ginny complained.

He instantly let go of her hand apologizing. As she rubbed her hand they continued to walk in silence.

“Not very talkative now are you?” she said churlishly.

“What are you doing here?” he finally managed to ask.

“Visiting family,” she responded offhandedly.

“Ginny…” he said warningly.

“I’m visiting family,” she persisted, “Not a crime, is it?”

“Did you get my owl?” he asked, looking for another topic.

“Sure did,” she replied.

He stopped walking and gave her a penetrating stare, “And…” he prompted her.

“And…I figured I could address your fears in person as opposed to writing a note.”

Sighing, the worry that had plagued him for the previous days came over him in a rush; he looked up at her almost pleading for her cooperation.

“Mafalda is my cousin. Her father is a stockbroker, he’s related to my mum. He’s a squib and his wife is a muggle. You were right, Mafalda is a witch. She is in her fourth year at Hogwarts.”

“How can that possibly be? I’ve never heard Ron, or any of you for that matter say that your cousin was in Hogwarts!” he argued heatedly.

“Oh we don’t talk about her. Uncle Joe preferred to enter into muggle life instead of staying in the magical world. He was shocked when Mafalda got her acceptance letter from Hogwarts. He tried to pawn her off on us but mum wouldn’t have it. Told him to fess up to Aunt Ophelia about the magical world and get Mafalda her school books straight away. Her mother was actually happy, probably because she wouldn’t have to deal with her for months. Horrible, Mafalda is! Fred and George, well they prank people for fun, but she’s got a mean streak in her, got an odd sense of humor.”

“That still doesn’t explain why I’ve never heard about her.”

“Yes, well…she’s not pleasant. Not someone we’d admit being related to anyhow. She’s in Slytherin.”

“WHAT?” Harry exclaimed.

“He’s not really my Uncle, more distant relation than that, but we still call him…”

“WHAT DO YOU MEAN SHE’S IN SLYTHERIN?”

“Oh, that…happens to the best of families doesn’t it? We’re pure blood and all. She fancies power, really ambitious. Smart too, as clever as Hermione was at her age.”

Harry started to walk again, this time much faster. Ginny had to work to keep up with him but he didn’t care. How could Ron neglect to mention that he had a family member in Slytherin? The house that turned out more dark witches and wizards than all others combined.

“Why did they move across the street from me,” he asked remembering what was in the letter he sent Ginny.

“Actually, that was a surprise. It was really just a coincidence, Uncle Joe got promoted and had to move. Nothing to worry about, he knows who you are of course, but he respects you, wouldn’t ever hurt you. It’s really good because Dumbledore’s got him looking out for you. He convinced him that he can help out the order even if he is a squib.”

“So now Slytherin’s can join the order?” Harry asked incensed.

Ginny grabbed the back of his jacket finally managing to slow him down. “They’ve always been able to join the order, remember Snape? Whoever can help us is welcome alright!” she let go of him as though he were something foul.

“How do you know she won’t go to the dark side?” he asked exasperated by Ginny’s attitude.

“Father’s a squib and mother’s a muggle. Yep! Sounds just like a pure-blood death eater to me!”

“Oh.” Comprehension dawned on Harry.

“That’s what I’ve been trying to tell you.” Ginny said agitated.

Harry had enough grace to feel embarrassed by his foolishness. Mrs. Weasley certainly would not send her daughter to dinner with death eaters, even if they were family. Still, Mafalda being a Slytherin unsettled him. Somehow, he wasn’t satisfied with Ginny’s explanation.

“Honestly, I’m not trying to be repetitive, but what are you doing here?”

“Well we’ve all been coming here. Dad had Uncle Joe’s fireplace connected to the floo network. Everyone has been by at least once, we kept sending Mafalda out to get you, but you’ve been quite the recluse now haven’t you? Dumbledore told us not to arouse suspicion.”

Harry understood it would be strange if people kept appearing and disappearing from Privet Drive without any noticeable means of transportation.

“Speaking of Dumbledore, I got a letter from Ron and Hermione saying he’s given the go ahead for me to come to the burrow.”

“We figured we would take you from Uncle Joe’s fireplace. We never thought you’d lock yourself up with the Dursley’s.”

Harry had always assumed Mafalda was hanging about the Dursley’s to see Dudley, not him.

“You could have sent me an owl to let me know.”

“No we couldn’t.”

“Why?”

“Looks like our cousins are…getting along rather well, wouldn’t you say?”

“So?”

“So if we told you Mafalda was one of us you might have told your family. We couldn’t risk you breaching the secrecy laws and ending back in front of the Ministry of Magic.”

“But Dudley knows that she’s a witch and I haven’t got an official warning.”

“Well he worked it out for himself, didn’t he? Giving him that canary cream was Fred’s idea, he figured you’d come over to confront her or something. Really Harry, you’ve been just like a hermit. Honestly, Fred and George even did blatant magic when they were toying with your cousin, Fred used a severing charm to cut that bag of manure open and George charmed the sprinklers into working, even that didn’t take you out of your trance. Mum’s been really worried.”

“That was Fred and George! Now that you mention it…it seems so obvious.”

“None of them thought you’d come with the Dursley’s for dinner tonight.”

“In that case, why did you come?”

She smiled mischievously, “I got a letter from you about Mafalda. I knew that you had worked out what she was in your head. I just came here, straight away, and there you were!”

“I sent Hedwig to you ages ago!”

“Poor Hedwig, I’ve been traveling the floo network so often the poor thing got confused. I was never in one spot long enough for her to find me.”

Harry smiled. They had reached the park that he had frequented the previous summer. He sat on one of the swings and Ginny followed suit sitting to his right. The odd occurrences on Privet Drive finally made sense. It was as though the blocks were falling into place.

“Didn’t anyone else want to come with you? When you figured that I’d be there?”

“Well Hedwig only just managed to get to me. So I didn’t have time to share your note with the rest. I just came straight away.”

Surprised, Harry asked, “Didn’t you leave a note for you mum about where you would be?”

Ginny squirmed in her swing before she answered, “Really there was just no point in doing that…”

“With everything that’s happened right now you didn’t think Mrs. Weasley would worry if you just turned up missing!?”

Harry couldn’t really believe that Ginny could be so thoughtless. Mrs. Weasley was probably having a fit right now.

“They wouldn’t notice if I was gone anyways.”

Now he was livid, “Not notice you were gone!”

Ginny looked abashed, “I didn’t exactly come from the burrow…”

“Where did you come from?” he asked when he realized she was not going to continue.

“Dean sort of invited me for the weekend. When it was time for me to leave, I decided to come here instead of going back to the burrow. I expect they still think I’m at Dean’s place.”

Harry was dumbfounded; she had been with Dean all weekend?

“So your mum let you stay with Dean all alone?”

“No, it’s nothing like that! Seamus and Lavender were there as well. Dean’s mum is really nice, took us to see all the sights. It’s the first time I’ve ever visited the palace.”

He furrowed his eyebrows. Dean was alright, but it seemed irresponsible to leave Ginny with a boy she liked for an entire weekend, especially when no qualified witch or wizard would be present to protect them in the face of danger.

“And Ron was okay with this?”

“Really Harry, we were connected to the floo network. Ron and Hermione even came for lunch one day. Besides, even underage witches can do magic if their life is threatened.”

She was right, he conceded. The hackles that rose in the back of his neck when she talked about Dean were simply due to his protective instinct he reassured himself. Ginny was just like a sister to him. When he found out she no longer liked him, he had felt a giant sense of relief. So why was he suddenly irritated by the casual way she was treating him?

“How is the order, what’s going on now?” he grasped for anything that would get them off the topic of Dean.

Ginny had let her head rest against one side of the swing and was looking imploringly at him.

“How are you doing?”

The question seemed to hang in the air between them. He knew she was referring to Sirius. A slow wind rustled the trees around them and he felt calm. He held her gaze for a moment before digging his foot into the ground, swinging gently back and forth. He wracked his mind for a response, but could find no answer. After several minutes his swing was once again immobile. He looked into her eyes and swallowing hard simply shook his head and shrugged his shoulders. It was as though he was willing her to understand, despite his inability to explain, the overwhelming pain that had caused him to fall into this state of numbness. She nodded at him, somehow he knew she understood. Suddenly she stood up and began to twirl the swing.

Her bizarre behavior shocked him but he watched silently as she continued to twirl. Just as suddenly as she started, she stopped. The two chains that held her swing up were now coiled together and the seat of the swing was at the small of her back. She gave Harry a quick smile before jumping into the air. He registered her landing on the seat of the swing before the swing began to uncoil itself, spinning her faster and faster, mirth of laughter escaping her, her hair flying around glimmering in the dying light of the sun. When the swing finally came to a halt she smiled over at him with childlike innocence. She raised her eyebrow at him, challenging him. He kicked off from the dirt getting a head start. She quickly was level with him, soon overtaking him, the ring of her laughter filling his ears. He couldn’t remember ever acting this childish, even as a child.
Out of the Cauldron and Into the Fire by Wise Owl
“AHEM!”

Dudley and Mafalda stood just outside the playground clearly perplexed by the scene that lay before them. Harry and Ginny were engaged in some sort of dispute. Ginny froze halfway through the process of rubbing dirt into Harry’s hair. He in turn had his back to her and was digging a hole in the ground to bury her shoes, or so it seemed. The awkward silence was suddenly broken when a shoeless Ginny tittered, lost her balance in the sand, and fell onto Harry. Unable to contain his amusement any longer Harry laughed, flicking the dirt he’d been digging in her general direction. He was met by a piercing stare worthy of Mrs. Weasley as Ginny engaged him in a struggle finally managing to snatch her shoes away. As Ginny beat her heels together, he ventured a glance over his shoulder at Mafalda. With her arms crossed and eyebrows raised she bore a peculiar resemblance to Aunt Petunia. At that moment she was tapping away with one foot on the sandy playground floor as if to say ‘explain.’ Dudley, on the other hand, wore an incredulous look on his face; he seemed to have lost the ability to speak.

“Mum says dessert’s ready.”

“Best not to keep her waiting than,” Ginny replied nonchalantly.

She clearly did not feel the need to explain their behavior to Mafalda. Throwing a wary glance at Ginny, Mafalda signaled to Dudley that they should be off. Meanwhile Harry gave his head a violent shake in a hopeless attempt to rid his hair of dirt. Ginny, however, had quickly placed her heels on and was swiftly walking after Dudley and Mafalda. Once she was a fair distance from Harry, her playful mood got the better of her. She glanced subtly over her shoulder and stuck her tongue out at him. He grinned; a mischievous urge sprang up within him. Slyly, so as not to be caught, he made his way to her and gentlemanly offered her his arm. Although her eyes narrowed in suspicion she made to reach out to him. Just than, he bumped her shoulder casually causing her to go tumbling into a neighbors raised bush. Running seemed the smartest thing to do at that point, so he took off. Not until he reached the Prewetts’ did he stop for air. Chancing a quick glimpse he surmised that Ginny was in hot pursuit, so he slid as silently as possible into the house.

“Hello Harry dear,” Mrs. Prewett startled him, “I was just coming to see what the hold up was.”

Harry tried his best to look innocent and said a quick prayer that all the dirt was now out of his hair. The door opened behind him as Mafalda, Dudley, and Ginny filed in.

“Oh good you’re all here. I thought you might like to have dessert in the den. We have a lovely fireplace down there.” Mrs. Prewett told them pointedly as she hurried them to a small staircase.

As Ginny passed Harry to lead the way down into the den he noted a maniacal glint in her eye. His sense of self-preservation had him hesitating in following her down the stairs. At Mrs. Prewetts' concerned gaze as she took in his disheveled appearance he decided it was better to face Ginny's anger than the well-intentioned coddling of a stranger. The den was quite cozy with a roaring fire and a comfy couch set. In front of the fire a short table had a game of wizards chess set up on it.

“Let’s see if you’ve got any smarts about you?” Mafalda mocked Dudley as she poked him in the tummy.

Ginny and Harry set about devouring the dessert tray Mrs. Prewett had thoughtfully brought down for them before settling into the couch to watch the game. They were well rewarded by Dudley’s reaction to the pieces moving by themselves. Nothing beat the abject horror that ran across his face when Mafalda’s knight viciously attacked his pawn. As he looked over at the fireplace his eye’s widened, his jaw grew slack, and a whimper escaped him.

“I’m looking, I’m looking! Give me a moment why don’t you?” said Ronald Weasley in an irritated voice.

“Hello Mafalda, having a game of wizard chess are you?”

“RON!” shouted Harry clamoring towards the fireplace.

“Harry! Mum, Harry’s there! Good to see you mate! We were really beginning to worry…Yes Hermione I know that…just give me a moment and I’ll get to it! Harry how have the muggles been treating you? Yes mum, he looks like he’s been fed. I don’t know if you give me a moment I’ll ask! Harry, I’ve been coming by Mafalda’s all summer to see you…OUCH! Hermione watch it! No I don’t know where your cat is! Can’t you see I’m trying to have a conversation here? Move over a bit would you Harry?”

Harry moved just in time as an exasperated Ron suddenly appeared in the fireplace and scrambled to get out.

Looking around he spotted Ginny, “You’d better go let mum know you’re alright,” he told her in a gruff voice.

“Right,” Ginny said throwing floo powder into the fireplace and bounding in. They could just hear her say ‘the burrow’ as she whirled out of sight.

“Better move your bishop before she takes it,” Ron advised Dudley who looked thunderstruck by the sight of someone crawling out of a fireplace. Not that this was the first time he ever witnessed it before.

Mafalda gave Ron an evil scowl for ruining her next move and kicked Dudley in the shin attempting to return his attention to the game.

Harry signaled to Ron and they moved into a corner of the den to talk.

“Hermione should be along any minute now. That is, if she decides to come, might be too busy with the rest of them. They’re barking mad!”

Harry couldn’t decide if Ron was talking to him or simply ranting.

“Who’s barking mad?” he inquired.

“All of them!”

He thought it best to let Ron get it out when he heard Dudley whimper again. Hermione emerged from the fireplace patting the dust from her sweater while Mafalda took a cushion from the couch and hit Dudley squarely over the head.

Clearly Hermione was not keen on Mafalda sending her a rather forced hello before strolling over to Ron and Harry.

“Harry it’s so good to see you, I was beginning to worry!”

“So you’ve decided to grace us with your company have you?” Ron sneered at her.

“I wouldn’t expect you to understand civilized behavior,” she shot back.

It was clear to Harry that they were going to resume their argument.

“Civilized??? You call that lot civilized?” Ron cried out gesturing madly at some unknown culprits.

“That was rude Ronald! Your behavior was ghastly!”

“Harry, they burst into the burrow,” he began to paradigm of the offending situation in question, “her father tried to hex my dad…”

“Ron you’re being unfair!”

“Her mum’s just standing there looking down her nose at us like we were dung beetles…”

“Now really, you’re getting carried away!”

“And that ghoulish sister of hers was touching everything. Mind you, everything she touched broke!”

“That does not give you the right to insult them, their daughter, their country…”

“Then she throws a fit because she wanted bouillabaisse, honestly you call that rubbish food!?”

“…OR THEIR FOOD!”

Harry noticed Dudley once again looking wearily at the fireplace. Yet in fear of Mafalda's wrath, he managed to keep from whimpering. Pity, Harry thought to himself just as Ginny jumped out the fireplace accidentally causing the wizard’s chess to go tumbling off the table. Mafalda who was becoming increasingly annoyed by all the interruptions grabbed Dudley, as much of the game as she could salvage, and went bounding up the stairs. She was loudly telling him that they would continue the game in the study where there was less noise. Ginny barely spared the pair a glance as she walked swiftly to Harry, taking a moment to smirk at Ron and Hermione who were still in the troughs of battle. With a flourish she handed him a beautifully embossed parchment that was addressed to him. Curious, he opened it. Doves were holding up a banner that was intoned with roses, it read:

This day
I promise to love, honor, and cherish
This day
I commit my life to love
This day
Is a fresh new day

And it is ours
A day
Of happy beginnings

Mr. and Mrs. Anastasius Delacour
Request the honor of your presence
At the marriage of their daughter
Fluer Isabeau

To

William Arthur Weasley
On Sunday, the seventeenth of August
At three o’clock
Delacour Demeure Maison

Speechless, Harry looked to Ginny for confirmation.

Grinning from ear to ear she announced, “Bill’s getting married…isn’t it wonderful?”

He looked back down at the parchment in his hand; August 17th that was only a month away.

Ron suddenly pulled the parchment out of Harry’s hand. He stared open-mouthed at the invitation shaking his head. Hermione sensing his distress helped him to a chair.

“So they’ve gone and made it official… God help us all!”

“Bit of a drama queen,” Ginny said jerking her head towards Ron, “nasty shock really, finding out Bill was going to marry his old crush,” she winked at Harry.

“I don’t know if you could call it a crush? After all, she did turn out to be part veela,” Hermione interjected.

Ginny shrugged as if to say that she did not find the topic particularly interesting.

“Any how,” she gave Harry a meaningful look, “do you think you could handle going to Grimmauld Place?”

Ron fell out of his seat, “Way to ease into it Ginny!”

She ignored her brother continuing to give Harry a scrutinizing stare. His throat constricted at the thought of Sirius, out the corner of his eye he could just make out Ron and Hermione casting him looks of pity. He nodded his answer, grateful at Ginny’s direct approach. She walked back to the fire where the heads of Fred and George were waiting for her.

“You heard him,” she called into the fire, “go about your business.”

Two popping sounds followed that and they were gone.

“So Harry,” Hermione took a cautious tone glancing at Ron for help, “how are you feeling?”

He simply shook his head.

“Best to let it out,” Ron who was now standing next to Hermione added just as cautiously.

A familiar ache squeezed at his heart, unexpectedly he felt a pang of guilt for the laughing and joking “ for the fun he’d had that day. Perhaps the pain he felt showed in his eyes because Ron and Hermione were looking sympathetically at him.

“Talking about it will help,” Hermione was insisting.

They just didn’t understand that the more they persisted, the harder it became for him to talk. Echoes of Sirius’ voice mocking Bellatrix Lestrange played in his head. He didn’t want to think about it, not now, but he couldn’t get his mouth open to stop them.

“We’re here for you…” Ron began.

“How about a game of exploding snap,” Ginny’s voice seemed to come from nowhere; the deck of cards she took out of her pocket began shuffling themselves.

“Have you gone mad?” Ron looked appalled at her, but Harry swept by him, he sat on the ground next to Ginny.

He could feel the eye’s of his best friends on his back. He ignored them. For some reason Ginny alone seemed to understand that he was not unwilling, but unable to talk about Sirius. They were building the fifth story of their card structure when the card Harry had just set down blew up in his face. Ginny keeled over a fit of laughter escaping her.

“Now you’ve got dirt on your face to match the dirt in your hair!”

A small grin graced his face as he thought ‘at least Ginny’s enjoying herself’.

There was a loud sound of glass crashing upstairs.

Shortly thereafter, Fred and George descended into the den carrying Harry’s trunk between them.

“Hello Harry!”

“We’d better be off…”

“What have you done?” Hermione asked as thrashing sounds continued upstairs.

“Done?”

“What?”

Hermione glowered at them.

“Gave Mafalda a bit of a present…”

“Knew she’d put it to good use!”

“What present?” Ron asked.

“A Ditzy Blitz of course!”

“To share with a friend…”

“WHAT!” Hermione roared.

“I’ll just get going,” with a POP George apparated.

Hermione rounded on Fred, with her hands on her hips like that she looked a lot like Professor McGonagall.

“Well he’s already tried Ton-Tongue Toffee and Canary Crème…Just thought this would be a nice change!”

With that parting thought, Fred heaved Harry’s trunk into the fireplace and was off. Hermione jumped in after him, no doubt going to report their actions to Mrs. Weasley. Ron rolled his eyes at Harry before going in after her.

“Thank you,” Harry said catching Ginny off guard.

“For what?” she asked.

“For getting them off my back earlier,” he replied casting his eyes into the fire.

“Fred and George are taking your trunk to Grimmauld Place,” she informed him.

It seemed very off topic but he nodded to let her know he heard.

“But for now, we’re off to the Burrow,” she continued.

He was confused, why didn’t she want him to talk about Sirius?

“Fred should have left a note on your bed for the Dursley’s to find, if he did his job that is…” she jumped into the fireplace, “Remember Harry, we’re going to the Burrow…”

Before he could blink, she was gone. He scrambled in after her, tucking his elbows in tight the familiar feelings of nausea rolled over him, he hated traveling by floo powder. Loudly he said, “The Burrow.”
They All Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Wise Owl
Thoughts about Ginny’s strange behavior were pushed from his mind the moment the appeared at the Burrow. Before he even got out of the fireplace he could hear bangs coming from upstairs followed by yells. As he stepped cautiously out he noticed the racket was now increasing in volume and was coming from his left where the stairs stood. Crookshanks, with what seemed to be filibuster fireworks strapped to his back, appeared abruptly at the foot of the stairs. He tore through the living room and into the kitchen at top speed. Harry distinctly heard George yell something about cats, a second later he was running through the living room presumably after Crookshanks. All of a sudden, many feet were clamoring down the stairs. A young girl that Harry knew to be Fleur’s younger sister ran through the living room, the look on her face told him that she had been caught doing something she wasn’t supposed to do. Fred came next madly waving a long bit of parchment at her back.

Hermione emerged from the stair case screaming, “Don’t you hurt him!”

Harry assumed she was yelling at George not to harm her cat as Ron clattered down noisily. He was the only one to spare Harry a glance. Shrugging his shoulders he said, “Nutter’s” by way of explanation and followed Hermione. He thought it would be best to follow them to see if he could be of any help. Harry had taken only a few steps when he went flying to the floor with a throbbing pain in the back of his knee. Bewildered, he looked up to see what had attacked him. He saw Ginny shaking her head and looking exasperated towards the ceiling. A weathered, elderly man with no teeth and a noticeable hump sat to her right. He had very little hair left, squinty eyes, and large liver spots on his head. Harry was disconcerted to see that this little old man was brandishing his walking stick threateningly at him.

“Pépère! Récidiver!” Ginny cried out at him. “Harry, this is Fleur’s grandfather, but you can call him pépère,” she told him as she helped him up, “I’m pretty sure it means granddad in French.”

Of all the things Harry wanted to call him at that moment, he knew granddad was not one of them.

“What did you tell him to do?” he asked as he massaged the back of his knees.

“I’m not sure exactly…At first I thought it meant stop, but now I think…” what she suspected he didn’t get the chance to find out.

Crookshanks hurtled through the open window and George leapt in after him. Harry heard the front door crash open, soon everyone was back in the living room. Ron was holding a shrieking Hermione back from George who was reaching under the armoire to grab Crookshanks. Crookshanks was hissing madly, hair on end, scratching George’s hand whenever it got too close. Gabrielle, Fleur’s younger sister, hid behind her grandfather. Fred hesitated; he seemed weary of the stick that her grandfather was still wielding.

“QUIET!” Mrs. Weasley screamed and advanced menacingly on them.

The eyes of all her children, and of those who were not her children, widened with fear alike. It was as though someone had pressed the mute button on an invisible remote.

They heard a loud POP. Crookshanks suddenly flew out from under the armoire and much like a pin ball hit various points throughout the room including the ceiling, where spurts of fireworks erupted from his back.

Disconcerted, yet still breathing like a steam engine, all Mrs. Weasley managed to say were the words “dessert”, “backyard”, and “now!”

However, she had gotten her point across; they all nodded silently “ terrified of her wrath.

“Hello Harry dear,” she said when she spotted him, “Come along, we’ll have dessert…cake and ice cream…” she was mumbling to herself but he thought it best to do as she said.

He walked silently, side-by-side with Ron. When they got to the back yard Mr. Weasley jumped up and shook his hand.

“Good to see you Harry, good to see you!”

Mr. Weasley looked like a desperate man trapped on a desert island. Everything he said was in double.

“Allow me to introduce you, yes introductions…This is Mr. Delacour, Fleur’s father, her dad, mmm hmm. This is Mrs. Delacour, her wife, his mother. Erm, I mean his wife and Fleur’s mother…” he grinned pathetically.

“You’ve met Fleur, yes of course you have…met Fleur…must be out of my mind. Her sister Gabrielle, you saved her once, you and Ron, yes Fleur’s sister you must remember her…” he looked increasingly flustered.

“Oh I see you’ve met pépère have you?” he commented catching Harry’s slight wince when he moved

“Good, good…yes, that’s good,” he rambled more to himself than anyone else, “Don’t take it personal he’s done that to all of us…several times…except the girls that is.”

“And this is Harry,” he introduced him, “Potter that is, Harry Potter.”

Mr. Delacour shot up from his seat and pompously shook his hand. Mrs. Delacour delicately covered her mouth that had opened ever so slightly in surprise. Apparently even they had heard about him before. After they were all seated, Mrs. Weasley flitted around placing a scoop of ice cream on their individual slices of cake. As Harry sat among the moody brood he silently agreed with Ron that these people were bizarre. They looked very much out of place in the back yard of the burrow. They were wearing very expensive looking robes as opposed to the Weasley’s second hand clothing. Mrs. Delacour’s neck and ears were bedecked with diamonds. Mr. Delacour smoked a mahogany pipe that rested at the side of his mouth. And when she thought no one was looking, Harry distinctly saw Mrs. Delacour sneak a handkerchief from the giant alligator skin purse in her lap. Under the table, she began polishing the spoon Mrs. Weasley had given her.

As his gaze shifted to pépère Ron whispered out the corner of his mouth, “He’s the normal one.”

Mrs. Delacour gave the softest cough, “About ze wedding, zer ez just un detail left.”

All the Weasley’s and Hermione collectively held their breath.

Apparently she had a sadistic streak in her nature because she left them in suspense for a whole minute until Harry said, “Yes?”

“Every member of ze family should walk down ze wedding allée wiz zer partner during ze wedding marsh.”

“Yeah, well, I don’t have a partner,” Ginny appeared out of nowhere and took the seat to his left.

“Where did you come from...?” Harry asked but was interrupted by Mrs. Delacour.

“Zen you mus get a partner! Zes es tradition in our famille! Everyone mus walk ze bride down ze allée!” she was growing steadily panicked with each word.

“Yes of course she will get a partner!” Mr. Weasley quickly interjected silencing any protests with his glare. It appeared that he had no problem making this last concession to the Delacour’s. Perhaps he had thought Mrs. Delacour’s final request would be something much worse than simply walking down the aisle before the bride.

“Zen we are ready for ze wedding, no?”

“Er, yes…Yes! We are definitely ready for the wedding!” Mr. Weasley pronounced with relief.

Harry thought that Mrs. Delacour looked like a cat that had stolen some cream. As though someone had pushed the un-mute button everyone began to talk all at once.

“Maybe Angelina…” Fred was saying to George who was already asking “Just one partner, how ever will I narrow it down?”

Hermione became very interested in the topic of bouillabaisse out of the blue, “So what exactly is it…?” she was asking Fleur.

“Like ze consommé…bisque…potage,” Hermione was slowly shaking her head at each word, “How you say in ze English…chowder? Or ze gumbo?” now Hermione was nodding fast and asking for the recipe.

Ron was the only one that remained silent. However, the back of his ears were very red and he wouldn’t look anyone in the eye.

Harry had no time to deal with Ron, “Where were you?” he asked Ginny for the second time.

“Went to deliver the wedding invitation to Dean,” she replied sitting slumped over in her chair, arms crossed.

“Didn’t he want to come?” he casually asked.

“Well of course he wants to come,” she whined, “He just can’t make it, that’s all.”

He felt a slight sense of satisfaction but didn’t ask himself why.

“Would you like some of my dessert?” he offered after noting that Mrs. Weasley had not set any aside for her.

She snatched the entire bowl from his hands and set about the business of pouring mounds of chocolate syrup on top before settling down to eat.

Ron took the chocolate syrup that Ginny had set down; it sprayed all over his clean shirt. Hermione jumped up and pulled him to the kitchen insisting that they needed to clean it right away before the stain set. Somehow, Harry got the distinct feeling that it may not have been an accident.

“So I guess that leaves you without a partner…”

Ginny was really wolfing the dessert down now but she stopped long enough to give him a venomous glare, “Don’t remind me,” she growled fiercely, and then returned to gorging on the cake.

“I could be your partner,” he said in a quiet voice.

She looked up at him, her eyes were wide open and her mouth completely stuffed, “You do jat fo me?”

He smiled; she looked very much like a little kid. She even had chocolate syrup smeared on her nose.

“I think I could manage it. That is, if you’ll have me…”

“Oh Hairy jank ooo!”

She took a swift swig of his milk and swallowed hard.

“Harry! Thank you! Now I won’t look like a fool!”

He was just paying her back for the help she’d given him up till now, he told himself. What was that saying? One good turn deserves another…yes, he would pay her back and they would be square again. So why was he wasting time trying to justify it to himself? It was just Ginny. He looked over at her again; she looked like a delighted little kid. He was content having put that joy on her face. Ron and Hermione strolled back towards them; Harry noted that not much of the stain was gone. Ron seemed to have a bounce in his step but his ears were still painfully red. Hermione had her lips pursed up, as though she was trying hard not to smile. Meanwhile, Fred got up to help Mrs. Weasley collect the dirty plates so that he could get away from Gabrielle who had not left him alone all night. It was interesting to watch him attempt to take pépère’s plate while avoiding the old man’s walking stick all the while.

George got everyone’s attention when he asked Gabrielle, “Who’s going to be your partner?”

“My boyfriend,” she responded promptly.

“You have a boyfriend?” he asked.

The curls of her hair bobbed up and down as she nodded very adamantly that she did indeed have a boyfriend.

“Is he nice looking?”

“He’s beautiful!” she was now delighting in being the center of attention.

“Doe’s he have a name?” George asked her playfully.

“Fred!”

All the plates that Fred had been carrying crashed, splintering into thousands of little shreds as he looked up at Gabrielle, horror-struck. George looked as though his wildest dreams had just come true.

“Do you think I’m beautiful as well?”

“Shut up, George!” Fred yelled warningly.
A Good Friend of my Father, is a Father to Me by Wise Owl
For the rest of that night George had kept them entertained by encouraging Gabrielle to share her feelings for Fred. Even the Delacour’s were highly amused by the sight of Fred colliding with, tripping over, and smashing various things throughout the backyard in his desperate attempts to escape from a smitten Gabrielle. It was well after midnight as they were finishing their hot cocoa in the living room that Mrs. Weasley shooed everyone off to bed. The day’s events had worn Harry out so much so that he was not even aware of returning to Grimmauld Place. How he had managed to change and get into bed he would never know. He dreamt that Gabrielle, tired of chasing Fred, had made a lasso out of a bit of rope and was now spinning it around her head. She cast it off catching Fred around his middle and was pulling him back to her slowly as Fred begged him for help. Suddenly, it started to rain within the burrow. Confused he looked up at the ceiling only to be poked in eye. Wait a minute! Something was poking him. A drowsy Harry barely managed to open his eyes when a long finger poked his nose. He jumped up, alert and prepared to fight.

“Harry Potter sir, you is finally here!”

“Dobby?”

He couldn’t believe his eyes. Dobby was in sitting on the headboard of his bed beaming at him. He looked towards Ron, who gave a loud grunt and mumbled ‘didn’t take your cat,’ it seemed that he was still asleep.

“Dobby what are you doing here?” he asked, unconvinced that he wasn’t still dreaming.

“Dobby has come to serve Harry Potter sir! Dobby is taking care of the Potter Manor now!”

“Potter Manor, Dobby?” now he knew he was dreaming, “What Potter Manor?”

“The Manor Harry Potter is sleeping in sir!”

Harry looked around, his surroundings seemed familiar “ yes, he was at Grimmauld Place. But Dobby had just called this the Potter Manor. Where would he get a funny idea like that?

“What did you just call this place?”

“Potter Manor, sir!”

“No Dobby, this is Grimmauld Place,” he swallowed hard; “this…this is Sirius’ home.”

“No sir! Dobby is heard Professor McGonagall talking about Harry Potter’s new manor sir! Dobby ran to Professor Dumbledore and is asked him if he can come serve Harry Potter in his new Manor? Professor Dumbledore is allowing Dobby to go! Dobby has been waiting for Harry Potter to come home sir! He has taken the screaming portrait down, sir! And the tapestry in the…” but he never learned what tapestry Dobby had torn down. Wiggling his ears, Dobby said, “Welcome home Harry Potter!” and vanished into thin air.

Harry was still struggling to determine whether he was dreaming or not when he heard the door of his room creak open. He turned, this time managing to get a hold of his wand.

“Professor Lupin?”

Professor Lupin looked as surprised as Harry felt. He cast a look about the room; his eyes fell on Ron’s sleeping form. Putting a finger to his lips he motioned for Harry to follow him. Harry joined him in the hallway and walked silently behind him. A few minutes later Harry realized that he was being lead to Sirius’ old room. Once they got there Lupin opened the door signaling him to go inside. Harry noticed that Buckbeak lay sleeping underneath the only window Sirius’ room had. After making sure the door was locked Lupin turned to Harry and followed his gaze.

“We’re going to be letting him go soon,” he said sitting on Sirius’ bed, “Even though we are just trying to keep him safe, it is unfair to keep him cooped up, Hippogriffs like to roam free.”

Just like Sirius, the fleeting thought ran through his head. He sat down across from Lupin on a wobbly wooden chair.

“I heard you were here,” Lupin informed him, “Finally figured out Mafalda was a witch I suppose?”

He nodded just as an owl tapped on the window. Careful not to wake Buckbeak, Lupin opened the window and the owl swooped in. He took five knuts from his pocket and paid the owl for delivering him a copy of the Daily Prophet. The headline caught Harry’s attention instantly, Dementors Rejoin He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. He swiped the paper and read:

Last night the dementors, guards of Azkaban, fled their posts and returned to their former master He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. During his reign of terror He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named employed the dementors kiss, sucking the soul from one’s mouth, on those who opposed him. He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named also used dementors in mass muggle attacks. Although unable to see dementors, this caused panic and hysteria among the muggle population.

The Ministry of Magic was warned by Albus Dumbledore at the Wizarding Convention of 1982, once thought to be the year Harry Potter defeated He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, not to align the wizarding community with creatures that would return to He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named if he regained power. Unfortunately Cornelius Fudge, who was given the job of Minister of Magic after Dumbledore refused it, returned the dementors to Azkaban placing them in charge of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named’s biggest supporters.

Luckily, Ministry of Magic officials were tipped off and managed to reach Azkaban just in time to prevent any escapes. When the Daily Prophet exclusively reported last month that Cornelius Fudge kept the return of He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named hidden for the past year despite the protests of Harry Potter and Albus Dumbledore the wizarding community was outraged. This is just another blunder that has many in the wizarding community calling for the resignation of Cornelius Fudge from his post as Minister of Magic. When asked for a comment, Ministry officials reassured the magical community:

“There’s no reason to get worked up. Ministry wizards are being mobilized to takeover as guards of Azkaban.”

When pressed for comment about Cornelius Fudge, one Ministry wizard who preferred to remain anonymous said “we’d be better off without him.”

“Finished?” Lupin asked.

“Why did it take so long for them to return to Voldemort?” he asked the first question that popped into his head.

“I suppose they were waiting for a sign that he had really returned,” Lupin answered.

Harry skimmed the article once again, “Will Ministry wizards be able to guard Azkaban?”

“Perhaps,” Lupin conceded.

“Couldn’t a prisoner just steal their wand?” Harry persisted.

“It could happen;” he conceded once more, “but I know, and now so do you, that Dumbledore went to Azkaban last night and is using some old magic to bind the prisoners.”

Relief seeped throughout Harry’s body, if Dumbledore was taking care of it, than he doubted that the prisoners would be able to escape.

“I guess Cornelius Fudge is in big trouble?”

Lupin smiled a little wider, “It would seem so,” he responded.

Harry couldn’t help it, he smiled too. After a moment Lupin cleared his throat getting back to the original reason they were here.

“I was just coming to check in on you. I didn’t mean to wake you up.”

Remembering the real reason he had woken up Harry hastily repeated his conversation with Dobby to Lupin.

“I don’t understand what he meant by Potter Manor…”

“Well I thought that would be obvious,” Lupin replied. “Harry, Sirius made you his heir when we reformed the order. He told Professor Dumbledore that you were to inherit everything that had ever belonged to the Blacks if anything were to happen to him.” Harry was dumbfounded, but Lupin simply smiled and continued, “As did I “ although I’m afraid I don’t have much to give.”

“But…why?”

“Well, neither of us have a family to speak of. So you see you were the obvious choice on both our behalf.”

It dawned on him that Lupin’s reasoning was true. Sirius was never given a chance to have a child of his own, as he was thrown into Azkaban at such a young age.

“Why didn’t you have any kids?” he asked Lupin. The thought occurred to him that this was a highly personal question. Just as he was about to retract his question Lupin smiled at him. It was a sad, rather pathetic sort of smile.

“I thought you would have figured that out for yourself Harry,” he told him. “How could I risk it? What if I bit them?” he asked shaking his head. “No, it was best that I never had a family of my own, I couldn’t condemn anyone to a life like mine.”

Harry felt bad for Lupin. Knowing your whole life that you would never marry and have children of your own had to be gut-wrenching.

“You’ve been like a father to me,” Harry confided, “Both of you have.”

Lupin looked surprised; he turned away as his eyes misted over and browsed the books on the shelf next to Sirius’ bed. After he had composed himself he turned back to Harry, a brown and gold book in his hands.

“He left you his home,” he began, “all the gold from his Gringotts account was placed into your account,” he continued, “and this,” he waved the book in his hands, “is the last testament that all the marauders left behind, and now it’s yours.”

Harry took the brown and gold book from Lupin. It looked like the Riddle diary except that it had an emblem of a werewolf, stag, dog, and rat imprinted around the Gryffindor crest on the cover. He smiled when he noticed that tiny lilies had been strategically placed so that they were not noticeable upon first inspection. Harry tried to open it but it was sealed shut. Lupin took his wand out and tapped the book saying “Alohomora” and it fell open.

“But I thought that was the spell used to open doors?”

Lupin shrugged looking bemused. Upon further inspection, Harry realized that the cover was not a cover at all; it was actually a very tiny door. If the werewolf, stag, dog, rat, and lilies were not on the emblem, Harry thought to himself, than this would look just like…

“Sirius and James thought it would be funny to steal a Gryffindor door,” Lupin confirmed the suspicions forming in his mind, “A lasting proof of what it took to be a marauder.”

Harry quickly rifled through the pages which proved to be empty.

“Do I have to write in it?” he asked remembering how he had contacted Tom Riddle.

“No, all you have to do is tap the marauder on each page. Some times there will be just one, some times more. It depends on who wrote in it that day.”

Harry turned back to the first page and found a miniscule stag and dog fighting in the bottom right hand corner while a werewolf chased a rat around the page. He managed to tap all four with some difficulty as the rat was rather small and running quite fast. Words immediately materialized onto the page.

Messrs. Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs Proudly Present the Marauders Memoir: The Ultimate Guide for Mischief Makers

“I think I’ll leave you to it,” Lupin told Harry as he got up to leave the room, “Just say Evanesco when you want to leave the pages,” he advised him.

Excited, Harry turned a few pages and found a rat digging a hole. He tapped him and a miniscule screen appeared on the page. He put his eye to it and felt himself falling head first into the book. Looking around, he noticed that he was now in Hogwarts. Spotting the statue of a hump-backed, one-eyed witch he realized that he was in the third-floor corridor. He heard someone coming and hid, forgetting that they could not see him. He instantly recognized a much younger looking Peter Pettigrew. The last time he had seen Pettigrew was during his fourth year when Pettigrew murdered Cedric Diggory and helped Voldemort to return to power. However, murder was the last thing that this pudgy boy who looked about his age seemed capable of. As he walked down the corridor he stumbled twice in his apparent rush to get to where he was going.

“Dissendium,” he muttered wiggling his wand in a funny way, “dissendium, dissendium, dissendium.”

With the last ‘dissendium’ he walked right into the one-eyed witch and fell. Turning, he screamed, as the hump of the witch slid open. He got up and ran down the rest of the corridor. Harry followed him. They reached the Gryffindor common room and Pettigrew ran to Sirius and James, his fellow Marauders.

“I was practicing a new spell…” he was explaining, “and the statue opened up.”

“Which spell?” Harry’s father, James, asked.

“Dissendium,” Pettigrew promptly replied.

Sirius laughed, “Well done Wormtail! Sounds like you’ve found your first secret passage…”

The memory began to swirl. Harry, remembering Lupin’s advice, said “Evanesco”. He was back in Sirius’ room. A loud thump and yell caught his attention. He closed the diary and heard it lock itself shut. Tucking it safely under his arm he opened the door. George came running by. Spotting him, George confided, “Just convinced Gabrielle to wake Fred up!”

If Fred’s yell was any indication, she had served her purpose.
Love is an Exploding Cigar by Wise Owl
Intent on not being pulled on in the scuffle that ensued in the hallway Harry hastily made his way back to the room he shared with Ron.

“Better get a move on,” Ron told him, “we’re late, mum’s in a real temper.”

Harry hurriedly made his way to his trunk dropping the marauders memoirs in while pulling out clean clothes.

“Where were you?” Ron asked him.

As they dressed and headed down to the fireplace in the kitchen Harry filled Ron in on Dobby, Lupin, and the news about the dementors. He left out the marauders memoirs wanting to explore it further before sharing.

“Knew they’d go back to him once they got word that he was back,” Ron shuddered when he mentioned Voldemort.

As they arrived at the Burrow a hassled looking Mrs. Weasley greeted them with bacon, egg and toast sandwiches.

“Hurry boys! No time to waste…Eat up!” she shoved a sandwich into each of their mouth.

Hermione entered the kitchen after them looking quite frustrated.

“Oh no, Crookshanks has gone missing again!”

“No time to look for him dear, just have some breakfast and we’ll find him when we get back,” Mrs. Weasley reassured her as she shoved a sandwich into her hand.

“I’m just worried Fred and George will find him first,” Hermione whispered to Harry looking gloomy at the prospect.

“GINNY! Now where has that girl gotten to?”

“I’m right here,” Ginny joined them, a half-eaten sandwich in one hand and Crookshanks in the other.

“You found him!” a delighted Hermione cried as she took Crookshanks from Ginny.

A loud cracking sound signaled the arrival of the twins who were shortly followed by Gabrielle. Everyone sat still to watch the comical scene that unfolded before them. Fred, still fuming at George, did not notice until it was too late that Gabrielle had pulled her seat right up next to his. Slowly he slid his seat away from hers. As though an invisible slinky bound their chairs together she followed. Clearly perturbed, Fred firmly grabbed the bottom of his seat and bounced several feet away from Gabrielle and the kitchen table. A determined Gabrielle resolutely followed suit. Once their seats were once again touching she leaned incredibly close to him. He in turn leaned slowly away from her and, misjudging the width of his seat, went tumbling to the floor. Rancorous laughter escaped the captivated audience muffling the sound of another little POP! It was not until Gabrielle shouted “BILL!” and hurled herself into his arms that they noticed Ron’s eldest brother had arrived.

“How are you doing beautiful?” Bill asked her playfully.

“I got a new boyfriend!” she told him excitedly.

He gasped, “You did? I hope he’s better than your last one!”

“Oh he is! Fred’s beautiful!”

An evil grin spread across Bill’s face, “Fred? Which Fred would that be?”

“That one!” she shouted pointing to the floor where Fred was still sprawled.

Bill clapped his hands together, “That settles it! I’ll just go tell Fleur that we’re going to have a double wedding!”

The entire kitchen burst into laughter.

“No, no, I’m still too little to get married,” Gabrielle said shifting her eyes to Fred, “Maybe in a month…”

“Aren’t we running late?” Fred pointedly reminded his mother, he had clearly had enough.

“Oh no we’re late!” Mrs. Weasley began to grab random children and push them into the living room. “Go now!” she yelled at Fred and George who were in the process of pursuing the leftover sandwiches. They heard three tiny pops in the kitchen as Bill, Fred, and George apparated.

“Gabrielle dear, now remember its Diagon Alley! Ginny you first…”

Ginny disappeared, followed by Gabrielle, Hermione, and Ron…

“Alright, Harry, in you go.”
He closed his eyes tightly so that the spinning would not make him sick, said, “Diagon Alley” and had soon joined the rest of his party.

With Ginny in the lead they left the Leaky Cauldron and made their way to Madam Malkin’s Robes for Every Occasion. As Ginny opened the door Harry could hear Mrs. Weasley saying, “…and here they come.”

Two witches descended upon them, separating the boys from the girls, and led them to separate dressing rooms where Fred and George were already being measured by an ancient looking wizard and his assistant.

“Almost done…” he said spotting them as dressmaker pins flew at Fred’s cobalt robes strategically binding them into a fashionable style.

“Right,” said Fred eyeing himself in the full-length mirror standing next to him, “…maybe the green one would have been better…”

“Trying to look nice for Gabrielle,” George who was bedecked in Jade robes commented to them with a conspiring wink.

“You boys are done,” the old man wheezed at them turning to Harry and Ron, “You’re next.”

As Ron and Harry stood on the stools the old mans measuring tape shot out of his pocket and began to take their measurements. Different fabrics appeared out of thin air and draped themselves around Ron now that his measurements had been completed.

“No…no…no…” the old man said with each fabric, “ah ha…that the ticket,” he snapped his fingers.

“Not maroon!” Ron whined loudly.

“Young man, this is the most suitable color for you! In the proper style,” at the word style all the pins dived at Ron, “…you will look quite handsome.”

He turned his back on a doubtful looking Ron and faced Harry. Fabric began all at once to bind him, disappear, and bind him again. He went through many more colors than Ron when the old man finally proclaimed “yes”. Harry looked down to see a jade green fabric draping him, he signed with relief. The old man was now muttering something about styles but before Harry could ask him to repeat it dressmaker pins flew towards him.

“Stand still now and let them go about their work!” the old man chastised him.

Holding still he could feel the pins whipping around him. Giggles from the girls section floated over the barrier separating them. If they can manage it, he thought to himself, than so can I. They not only seemed to be managing it, but rather enjoying themselves as well.

“All done,” the assistant was now helping him off the stool.

Done? Harry thought to himself as he stepped off the stool. He looked towards the mirror Ron was admiring himself in.

“Not too shabby...” Ron looked relieved.

As he stepped away from the mirror Harry was comforted by the image that greeted him. He looked rather handsome in his robes. He wondered if Ginny would notice.

“Right,” with another snap the robes he had been wearing disappeared, “you boys can pick them up in an hour,” the old man informed them disappearing with his assistant behind some curtains that Harry had not noticed before.

With the prospect of a free hour in Diagon Alley to look forward to, they set off to Fred and George’s joke shop.

“Should be next to Ollivanders,” Ron told him.

Ollivanders was the shop that Harry had bought his wand in five years prior. They turned the corner and Ollivanders came into view. A clumsy boy walked out of the store holding a long thin box.

“Neville?”

He waved to them upon hearing his name and made his way over.

“Hello, just getting a new wand,” he pointed to his parcel.

“What kind?” Harry was curious which wand had chosen Neville as his old wand had belonged to his father.

“Willow, 9 ¾ with a dragon heartstring core,” he replied promptly opening his box to give them a peek.

“Neville!” his grandmother bellowed as she came out of the wand shop.

“Got to get going,” Neville told them as he closed his box back up, “Ron I was going to send an owl to you, I was just wondering, would it be alright if I brought a date to the wedding?”

Ron looked astonished by the change in topic, “Who’s your date?” he asked Neville in disbelief.

“Susan Bones…Coming Gran! Well?” he looked hopefully at Ron.

“Sure,” Ron nodded at him still looking highly confused.

“Thanks!” Neville yelled at them while he ran off to join his grandmother, “See you there!”

Ron looked over at Harry awestruck, “Susan Bones?”

Harry shrugged. Susan had been a member of Dumbledore’s Army where she and Neville had presumably gotten to know each other.

“Off to the joke shop than?” Harry reminded Ron of their initial destination.

As the entered Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes they were assailed by a hundred or so purple, heart-shaped bubbles that each yelled out an endearment once they popped. Listening intently, Harry distinctly heard “Marry Me”, “Hot Stuff”, and “Love Me Tender.” Almost in response to the purple hearts, blue ones shot out from behind a curtain screaming “Dream On”, “Trés Chic”, and “Bite Me.”

Gabrielle, looking put out, waved at them dejectedly. “I think Fred doesn’t like me,” she told them in confidence.

“Don’t be silly,” George interjected, “He’s waiting for you behind that red curtain, and you know that’s the color of love…”

Gabrielle gave a little squeal and ran off towards the curtain George had indicated. George leaned against the counter with a dreamy look on his face and when the sound of breaking glass, crashing boxes, and what seemed to be a marching band came from behind the red curtain he said, “Ahhh, young love.”

About twenty minutes passed, during which Fred managed to subdue Gabrielle with a Mondo-Mango ice cream and chase George around the store with broom, before things settled down. They spent the rest of the time testing Fred and George’s many inventions such as the crude cushion that insulted whoever tried to sit on it (‘full moon tonight!’) and made rude sounds to embarrass the courageous few that ignored the insults and sat down. As they were locking up the store and placing the ‘Out to Lunch’ sign on the door George leaned over to Harry and whispered, “Wait till you see what we’ve got planned for the wedding!”

“What is it?” Ron asked, clearly worried.

“If we told you it wouldn’t be a surprise, now would it?” Fred said smacking George across the back of his head, “Don’t tell Ickle-Prefect Ronnie-kins, he’ll go running off to his mummy to tattle-tale on us.”

“I will not!” Ron insisted, but Harry thought it was rather smart of Fred and George to keep it a secret from Ron, if only to keep it a secret from Hermione who most assuredly would tell Mrs. Weasley.

Making their way back to Madam Malkin’s was no small feat as Gabrielle wanted to go into every shop they passed.

“Wish mum didn’t tell the Delacour’s that we’d watch her while Fleur got fitted for her dress robes,” Fred grumbled and Harry silently concurred.

“Here they come mum!” Ginny stood at the door of Madam Malkin’s shop yelling in. Ginny looked rather flushed and excited. He supposed it was because girls enjoyed dressing up and that sort of thing.

“Boys!” Mrs. Weasley’s voice carried out of the shop, “Come try your robes on to make sure they fit!”

After everyone had tried their robes on and were ensured a perfect fit they made their way to the leaky cauldron so that they could get back to the burrow. Hermione and Ginny had made a pact not to disclose any information about the various odd-shaped parcels they carried with them.

“I’ve only got a bag for my dress robes,” Ron was saying, “Why do they need five boxes each?”

Harry snuck a glance at Ginny who was talking animatedly with Gabrielle about the wedding. This is going to be an interesting summer; he thought to himself, for the first time the scenes from the department of mysteries that normally plagued him were far from his mind.
Wise OWLS by Wise Owl
Once the Delacour’s left the Burrow, Harry had the choice and in the end opted to stay with Ron in his small, overcrowded room. A little over a week passed as they fervently prepared for the wedding. Harry was left with no time of his own as Mrs. Weasley employed all available hands in wrapping party favors, addressing wedding invitations, and placing candy in small pouches that were tied shut with a pretty bow. Harry and Ron agreed to never divulge their daily activities, particularly to Fred and George who they knew would tease them mercilessly if they found out. They were sitting at the kitchen table, Ron tying a pink bow to the pouch that Harry held shut, when three owls swooped into open window. Hermione was sitting on the floor readdressing the invitations that Ron had in her opinion ‘scribbled chicken scratch’ all over. When she saw the owls, however, she leapt up with a whoop causing the invitations to go cascading all over the floor. Ron also seemed to be expecting the owls as well and in his haste to get to them wound up tying his finger to the pouch Harry was holding.

Mrs. Weasley took a sharp breath in to steady herself, “That’ll be your OWL results, I suppose.”

With the pouch still attached to his finger Ron grabbed his letter and tore it open as did Hermione.

“BRILLIANT!” Ron yelled he jumped up clutching his letter causing the table to slide several inches, “Seven OWL’s! SEVEN! Hermione what did you get?”

Looking incredibly relieved Hermione beamed at them but seemed reluctant to tell her marks so Ron ripped the parchment from her hands.

“TEN OWL’S!!!” completely losing control Ron grabbed Hermione and twirled her around the kitchen.

When Ron let go of her, Hermione was blushing deeply but looking quite pleased. In no time the two were engulfed in a hug by Mrs. Weasley who congratulated them slipping in a comment about genius grandchildren that no one heard. Ginny silently appeared in the seat that Ron had occupied. She took the third letter from the remaining owl that puffed out its wings and looked pompously around before setting off. Slipping the parchment out of the envelope she silently read its contents; at last a smile appeared on her face. Emboldened by her happy reaction he looked over her shoulder at his OWL results.

“Six OWL’s,” she whispered to him, “Not too shabby.”

“SIX! MUM HARRY GOT SIX OWL’s!” Ron shouted through his mothers embrace.

“Oh Harry!” Mrs. Weasley ran over smothering him in a big hug, “Well done, dear!”

He could just make out Ginny smiling at him over Mrs. Weasley’s shoulder. Even though he had not done as well as Ron, he felt that six OWL’s was quite an accomplishment.

“Well,” Ron was saying as he scanned Hermione’s results, “Outstanding in everything,” he looked at her in a strange way, “You certainly are.”

Hermione blushed furiously at Ron’s unexpected compliment, or perhaps it was because of the way he was looking at her. She grabbed Ron’s results just as he had grabbed hers earlier.

“Outstanding in Potions, Herbology, and Astronomy,” she read aloud, “Exceeds Expectation in Care of Magical Creatures, Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts, and Charms!”

Ron somehow managed to get a hold of Harry’s results, “Harry you got outstanding in Transfiguration, Defense Against the Dark Arts, Care of Magical Creatures…and POTIONS! You exceed expectations in Herbology and Charms. Snape’s going to lose it when he finds out we passed!” he predicted ecstatically.

Looking back at Ginny, Harry noticed that she was still wearing a stiff look on her face. He was perplexed by her reaction. Usually she was the first to join in the celebration. She caught him staring and forced a fake laugh.

“I suppose I’ve got a lot to live up to now,” she hinted.

He immediately understood her lack of exuberance as Ron had always been afraid of not living up to the standards his elder brothers had set.

He leaned in and whispered in her ear, “I don’t think you’ve anything to worry about.”

She cast him a hesitant smile and put some distance between them, he assumed, for Mrs. Weasley’s sake.

Before he could really think over her behavior she said, “Not a bad birthday present!”

He smiled; he was pleasantly surprised that she remembered his birthday was tomorrow.

“What’s this?” Hermione picked up a silver parchment.

“I have one too,” Ron noticed, “How about you Harry?”

He looked around but saw that he had not received a silver parchment.

“No nothing, I expect its prefect business,” he teased them.

“Erm, not quite,” Hermione looked torn between excitement and alarm, “I expected these would come…” she trailed off leaving him to wonder what she had expected.

“Oh,” a look of understand flashed across Ron’s face, “But where’s Harry’s?” he asked Hermione.

She didn’t answer right away. “It says for all Hogwarts students that will be turning seventeen this school year,” she pointed out to Ron, “He’s not turning seventeen this school year, is he?”

“Bloody hell, do you mean he’s not going to learn it till next year with Ginny?” Ron seemed to be growing angry at the unfairness of the situation, “Malfoy’ll have a field day with that.”

“With what?” Harry asked tired of being left out of the conversation.

Hermione visibly braced herself before turning to him, but before she could get a word out Ron brought him up to date.

“We’ve got to go one week early to Hogwarts for an Apparition course.”

“It’s for anyone who turns seventeen this school year,” Hermione hastily added.

“Don’t worry,” Ginny told her looking thoroughly bemused by Hermione’s trepidation, “He’s not going to bite your head off for something you have no control over. Besides, I’ll keep him company and we’ll see you on the train ride to Hogwarts.”

It took a moment for Ginny’s words to sink in and wipe away the resentment he felt at being left behind at the Burrow, but they eventually did.

“I’ll just help train Ginny for that chaser position,” he pouted and faked a solemn sigh.

“And I’ll just pretend that I need training,” Ginny offered comically.

“You do that!”

“TONKS!”

In their jubilee, Tonks’ unexpected appearance had been overlooked.

“Right you are!” she said gleefully stabbing a finger into the air before being overwhelmed by Ginny and Hermione who clearly adored her.

“What are you doing here?” Ron asked over the squealing of the girls.

“Thought I’d join you for Harry’s birthday!” she explained.

“But that’s not till tomorrow.”

“You caught me,” she cast a guilty gaze at Harry, “I had some good news of my own to share…”

“What news?” Mrs. Weasley cut in, though she seemed to expect what was coming.

“I GOT THE JOB!”

Mrs. Weasley threw her arms around Tonks and they danced about the kitchen knocking the pouches he and Ron had been working on to the floor where they lay over Hermione’s forgotten invitations.

“What job?” Ron asked.

“I knew you could do it!” Mrs. Weasley yelled.

“What job?” he persisted.

“I told you, never you mind if he thinks you can’t…”

“Who thinks you can’t?” Ron asked getting distracted.

“Just believe in yourself and you can achieve whatever you set your mind to.”

“What job!?!” Ron bellowed.

Tonks clapped her hands together wearing a smile that went ear to ear.

“Hagrid’s right. Dumbledore is a great man.”

The kitchen was filled by the sound of shrieking girls as Hermione and Ginny seemed to understand. Ron gave up shooting Harry an aggravated glance. Once they had settled down Harry gazed very seriously at Tonks.

“Do you know which book you’ll be using Professor?”

At his comment Ron exclaimed, “You’re the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher!”

“You can stay in Percy’s old room,” Mrs. Weasley swallowed extra hard at her son’s mention, “Lets get you settled in.”

Ginny and Hermione followed Mrs. Weasley and Tonks up the stairs leaving Harry and Ron to clean the mess that had been left in the kitchen.

“Settled in my foot,” Ron complained loudly, “Just don’t want us to hear them gossip.”

Harry nodded in agreement. It most certainly didn’t take four girls to empty the small overnight bag Tonks brought with her.


After Tonks had settled into her room she joined Harry, Ron, and Hermione in the living room where they were attempting to set their class schedules.

“So we’re agreed on Advanced Transfiguration?” Hermione verified.

“Harry and I are going to need it if we want to be Aurors.”

“We also have Advanced Herbology, Advanced Charms and…”

“Advanced Potions,” Ron grumbled throwing a dark glare towards Harry.

“Yeah,” Harry looked gloomily at the parchment in his hands, “No one said it was easy to become an auror.”

“You and Ron want to become aurors?” Tonks asked. “That’s so great! What about you Hermione? Want to be an auror as well?”

“I considered it,” Hermione shared, “In the end of my career assessment Professor McGonagall suggested that I might enjoy working for the Ministry of Magic to work for the rights of non-human magical creatures.”

Ron rolled his eyes at the mention of Hermione’s obsession with ensuring rights for all magical creatures.

“Are those the only classes you’ve selected so far?”

“Uh huh,” Harry nodded.

“Ahem!” Tonks coughed loudly.

Harry was confused for a moment before he understood what Tonks was hinting at.

“Oh right, Advanced Defense Against the Dark Arts!”

“And don’t you forget it,” Tonks admonished them.

“Of course, we couldn’t become aurors without it!” Ron exclaimed enthusiastically.

“We also forgot to put down Advanced Care of Magical Creatures,” Harry reminded Ron.

“Whew, good thing you remembered!” Ron wrote onto his schedule. “Hermione, why aren’t you writing it down?”

“Well,” she looked around nervously, “You know I love Hagrid…”

“But…?”

“…but his teaching style is a bit unorthodox…”

“He’s great,” Harry felt the need to stand up for Hagrid who was the Advanced Care of Magical Creatures teacher.

“…and there were other classes Professor McGonagall recommended…”

“You have to take Advanced Care of Magical Creatures!” Ron insisted hotly, “Hagrid will be insulted if you don’t!”

Harry nodded vehemently agreeing with everything Ron said.

Hermione looked tentatively from Ron to Harry in an attempt to gauge their resentment, “Oh alright I’ll sign up for Advanced Care of Magical Creatures.”

“Good,” Ron responded looking very smug.

“What about Advanced Divination?” Tonks suggested lightly.

“NO!” they collectively replied.

“Just a joke,” Tonks retorted. “Anyhow, that’s only one, two, three…six courses,” she ticked off her fingers, “You each need two more.”

“I’ll be taking Advanced Arithmancy,” Hermione announced pompously, “I highly recommend it.”

However, the one glimpse of Harry and Ron’s faces was enough to confirm to Tonks that taking Advanced Arithmancy was something they were unwilling to do regardless of who recommended it, or perhaps because it.

Birthday Wishes by Wise Owl
The following morning the crashing sounds caused by Errol, who clearly had been fed another ditzy blitz, woke everyone up. Fred and George dragged Harry out of bed ignoring his protests for more sleep. He would have slept on the floor outside Ron’s bedroom where the twins had left him but Ginny came strolling by and he didn’t want her to see him in Dudley’s old Smelting knickerbockers. Ron, who was now wide awake, had finished dressing. He rubbed his hands together and pulled his mattress of the bed and into the hall. Harry just barely got a glance of Ron surfing his mattress down the stairs yelling ‘party time!’ Soon the radio had been blasted to its highest volume filling the entire Burrow with sounds of Aurora Borealis’ new hit “Northern Lights.”

Just as he finished dressing Tonks passed by the door of his room singing along to the witch, “Physical phenomenon spellbinds me under celestial skies…” He knew Tonks was a big music fan but was surprised when George came into the hallway singing along with the warlock, “Luminous angel come to me under the northern lights…” He couldn’t help but laugh with George very enthusiastically dipped Tonks and they both went thundering to the ground.

“Hello there Harry,” Tonks got up from the floor rubbing her shoulder, “Happy birthday!”

“Thanks.”

“I’ve got something for you…” she told him shuffling through the various pockets of her cloak which seemed to be made entirely of pockets of all shapes and sizes, “This is from Lupin,” she handed him what looked to be a card. “He told me to tell you he’s really sorry he couldn’t make it to your birthday and…” she tapped her foot while scratching her chin trying to remember, “Oh yea! And he wanted me to tell you to open it in privately when you have some free time!”

Harry smiled; he was halfway through opening the envelope when Tonks remembered the second half of Lupin’s message. He supposed it might have something to do with Sirius or his parents and that was why Lupin would not want him opening it in front of others.

“Right,” he plopped the card onto his bed, “I’ll just leave it for later…”

“HARRY!!!” an almighty bellow came from the first floor of the Burrow.

“Better get the birthday boy downstairs so we can start the fun!” Tonks pulled him down the stairs to the enthusiastic applause of all the Weasley’s and Hermione. Mrs. Weasley stood in the middle of the room with a clipboard in her hand.

“Perishables, check, glassware, check, fireplace, check, owls, check, stove, check…Alright you lot, every thing’s been secured,” she roared into the crowd of people who stood before her, “You may official commence with birthday madness.”

All at once the ‘birthday madness’ began. Fred and George had several new party games they had invented for the occasion. For the first half of the day they played Banging Bowtreakles, in which a hundred small, flying, ugly fairy-like creatures called bowtreakles were let loose in the Burrow. It was a lot like playing hide and go seek except that when a bowtreakle felt it was cornered it could explode in your face. The first to find and disable ten bowtreakle would receive a handsome prize. This was made especially difficult because Errol continued to twirl madly towards all of them forcing them to leap out of his way and thereby giving the bowtreakle time to escape. Hermione stopped playing when a particularly nasty bowtreakle blew up taking half her hair with it. Harry, however, was not the youngest seeker Gryffindor had seen in over a century for nothing, he was the only one able to get ten bowtreakles and received a handsome magical camera for his trouble.

Once Mrs. Weasley restored Hermione’s hair they ate lunch in the backyard. Hermione was reluctant to play anymore of Fred and George’s games until they told her the next one would test a person’s intelligence. ‘Madd Frogg’ was as the title suggested, about a mad frog that needed your help to get through a maze. As it was a game of logic Hermione crushed them all soundly.

She won a book of puzzles and was delighted about it although the rest of them didn’t think it was much of a prize, “We figured only a person who could win that game would like a book of puzzles,” George confided to him.

The last game they played was ‘Truth or Scare’ which was sort of like truth or dare except that points were collected by the number of questions you answered honestly, but if you lied, you would be scared straight and everyone would know you were a liar. Ron looked like he was going to win the game when he pulled a card that read “Who do you fancy?” He sputtered for about a minute and than said no one whereupon the card mutated into a tarantula. It chased him around the house, with a mad Errol twirling and pecking at his head, for a good half hour. It wasn’t until dinner time that they let Ron off the hook by declaring Ginny the winner of the game and awarding her a new telescope for her honesty.

Harry was thanking Mrs. Weasley for the scrumptious feast she had prepared when he noticed that everyone was already tearing at the meal and joined in. Mr. Weasley unbuckled his belt three notches before finally declaring that he was full. After dinner Mrs. Weasley shooed them off to the living room where they lounged about commenting about the hilarious look on Ron’s face when he was hanging from the banister to escape the tarantula, the way he had begged them to call of the tarantula, and considering who Ron’s fancy was. Although he had a strong hunch, Harry suggested it was Moaning Myrtle when it was his turn to guess. The lights went dim and everyone sat up and began to sing the birthday song as a giant chocolate cake decorated with broom sticks and snitches was carried into the living room by Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.

“Don’t forget to make a wish,” Ginny reminded him before he blew out his birthday candles.

The way the candlelight danced in her eyes made them sparkle.

“You make it for me.”

“You’re the birthday boy, you have to make it.”

He looked to the candles, than shook his head.

“I don’t have a wish so if you all want cake you’d better tell Ginny to make one,” he warned the crowd that was watching him.

“Come on Gin, be a sport,” Tonks replied instantly.

“Before the wax melts,” Fred cried out while George gave her a poke.

“Alright already,” she closed her eyes as Hermione shooed Errol away from the cake.

“Anytime this century…” Ron mumbled.

After a minute she opened her eyes up, “Now you can blow out the candles,” she told Harry and he did.

“What did you wish for?” he asked her when they both had a plate of cake in front of them.

“If I tell you it won’t come true!”

“Well considering it’s supposed to be my wish…”

She eyed him shrewdly, “Oh very well! If you must know, I wished that when you finally make a wish from your heart, that your wish will come true. A bit convoluted, I know.”


As they retired to their rooms later that night Harry felt that this had been the birthday of a lifetime. Ron picked up a letter that was sitting on his bed and began to read it while Harry put his presents away. Ginny’s wish was still lingering in his mind. He didn’t believe that wishes came true which was why he never made one in his life, she had looked so serious when she shared her wish with him leaning in so close that he could smell the jasmine shampoo she used in her hair. Before he had time to realize that he was getting giddy over Ginny an angry grunt interrupted his thoughts.

“All right, Ron?”

In a matter of seconds Ron turned white, pink, a curious shade of purple that Harry thought only his Uncle Vernon could turn, and than a bright crimson. He waved the letter he received wildly into the air sputtering. He bound out the room. Harry sat down on his own bed and grabbed Lupin’s card thinking he might as well read it when he heard Ron screaming for Hermione. He followed Ron, Lupin’s card still in his hand, into Ginny’s room.

“HERMIONE!” Ron’s chest was heaving and his face still crimson.

“What is it?

Ron waved the letter in the air madly, “KRUM!”

“What about him?”

He waved the letter crushing part of it in the palm of his hand and threw it at her feet. Hermione picked it up and began to read it.

“How dare you!” she raged jumping up to face Ron, “This is my private mail!”

He snatched the letter from her hand madly tearing it into a million little pieces over her protests. Ginny looked to Harry for an explanation but all he could do was shrug. With two POPS! Fred and George apparated onto Ginny’s bed appearing on either side of her.

“What’s the raucous about?” Fred asked Ginny casually as George sprawled on the bed opening a letter of his own to read.

“I’ll tell you what it’s about,” Ron screamed, “Krum! She’s been to see Krum!”

Harry noticed that Ginny became very interested in her finger nails all of the sudden. Clearly, this was not news to her.

“I can see whoever I want!” Hermione argued back.

“Been cozying with Vicky, have you?” Ron was quickly turning vicious, “Too thick to realize he’s using you to get to Harry?”

“We never speak about Harry!” Hermione protested.

“So you’re sharing information about the Order,” he accused, “So the little junior Death Eater could join Karkaroff and his master!”

Hermione looked too bowled over by Ron’s allegation to speak but somehow she managed, “You are nothing but an arrogant, self-righteous, pompous, jealous...”

“Jealous!”

“That’s right, jealous!”

“What’s there to be jealous of?”

“You’re jealous of Viktor Krum!”

“As if I’d ever be jealous of that…that…” Ron looked lost for words, something Hermione noticed and took advantage of.

“That internationally renowned quidditch player whose autograph is hanging on your wall,” she readily supplied.

“Chasing after an internationally renowned quidditch player, are you?” Ron changed tactics in a flash. Harry noted that during this fight about Krum, as they had fought about it in their fourth year after the Yule Ball, Ron seemed much better prepared.

“He “ wants “ to see me and I find him quite refreshing compared to the dimwitted boys at Hogwarts,” Hermione practically spat out her words.

Ron was seething, “Dimwitted? D’you hear that Harry? We’re dimwitted, we are. Think you’re the only one with admirers, don’t you?” he mocked her.

“I don’t see veela girl marrying you now do I!”

Harry knew instantly that she had gone too far as Ron’s face lost its color.

“Not veela girl, but this one sounds like she wouldn’t mind,” George piped up looking at the letter in his hands. “To my dearest Ronald,” he began, “‘Time teases emotions of the heart…’”

“Give me that!” the words that George read seemed to take him from his stupor.

“A love letter, how sweet,” Fred took the letter from George playing keep away.

“‘…but the spawn must swim with tide.’ Ahhh, loony Luna. I should have known.” Fred commented.

Harry spared a glance at Hermione to see if she would use Luna’s letter against Ron but she looked white as a ghost from shock.

As he looked back at the scene unfolding before him it was evident that a conclusion seemed to form in Ron’s head, “You switched the letters on the beds!”

“Don’t get your britches in a knot,” George answered, “We’ve been with you all day,” he reminded them.

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley appeared at the door of Ginny’s room, “Break it up! What’s going on here?”
Ditzy Blitz by Wise Owl
“They’ve been switching up everyone’s mail,” Ron told his parents pointing to Fred and George.

“Ouch!” Mr. Weasley yelped massaging the back of his head when a letter Errol had been carrying shot out of his claws due to his uncontrollable twirling. “I think we’ve caught our culprit right here,” Mr. Weasley announced picking up the letter from the ground.

“How many times do I have to tell you not to test your crazy inventions on Errol?” Mrs. Weasley yelled at her son’s. “Ever since you gave him that ditzy blitz he’s been completely unreliable!”

Fred and George cowered silently in the face of their mother’s rage giving Ron the opportunity to retrieve his letter.

“Looks like you’ve got a letter Harry, best open it to make sure it’s yours,” Mr. Weasley advised.

Harry opened the letter he had assumed was Lupin’s birthday card and was surprised to see that it was actually a letter from Mafalda to Fred and George.

“Mafalda says thanks for the latest shipment and that the box pox is brilliant. Dudley’s convinced he’s caught the chicken pox even though no one else can see the dots.”

“Only chicken pox?” Fred inquired.

“He got off lucky,” George added.

“Too bad he didn’t get the small pox,” Fred continued wistfully.

“What have you done?” Mrs. Weasley advanced on them menacingly.

“Don’t worry mum…”

“It’s only an illusion…”

“…he doesn’t actually get a disease!”

Seeing the nasty glare that Fred shot him for getting them in trouble Harry did some quick thinking, “So who has my letter?”

Mr. Weasley turned over the letter in his hand and opened it up.

“Sorry,” he told Harry, “this isn’t yours. Molly, I believe this belongs to you.”

Mrs. Weasley took the letter and scanned it. Flustered, she looked at Mr. Weasley attempting to explain, “I didn’t know if he would…I had to ask…Sent an invitation…”

Mr. Weasley nodded grimly looking around the room, “I got a letter earlier from Charlie confirming he’ll be here one week before the wedding,” he told them looking penetratingly at Mrs. Weasley.

She looked at all of them in the cramped room and garbled something about rearranging the furniture. Mr. Weasley coughed, a warning cough, in the background.

“Looks like Percy will too,” she told them in a would-be casual voice, “Well I best be off to bed,” she turned and scuttled out of the room refusing to meet her children’s eyes.

“I’ll join you,” Mr. Weasley set off after her.

“We’d better get the extendable ears,” Fred told George, they apparated at once.

“So you can write to love letter to Luna but I can’t be friends with Viktor,” Hermione stated in an accusing voice.

“What’s that? Jealous?”

It looked as if Ron and Hermione were going to pick up where they left off.

“Of Luna? Are you crazy? Why don’t you just take her to the wedding if she’s so great?” Hermione taunted him.

“You know what, I think I will!” he replied storming out of the room.

Several moments passed by in silence after Ron’s exit. Hermione looked stunned. Her eyes seemed to well-up with unshed tears.

“Bathroom…” she said to no one in particular and left the room to be alone.

“I’d better go after her,” Ginny stood up, a letter in her hand. “I believe this is yours,” she handed the letter over to him and left the room.

Hoping for cheer in any form, he turned the letter over and opened it.

Harry,

Happy birthday! I apologize for not being able to come to your party but I had other business to attend to. I hope you are reading this letter far from prying eyes. I have just been to see Professor Dumbledore about you and received quite a shock. I can not believe that you did not share the contents of the prophecy with me. I do not presume to know how you must feel about it but I do hope you know that I am here whenever you need someone. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future.

Moony

So Dumbledore had shown Lupin the prophecy. He probably had assumed that Harry had told those closest to him about it already, although he hadn’t shared it with a soul. Had Ginny read his letter? Did she know about the prophecy? She could have realized it was his letter by default. Deep down, he hoped she’d read it. He needed someone who was constantly around to talk to, someone who would not pity him as Hermione would, or fear his imminent death like Ron was sure to do. As he sat on the edge of Hermione’s bed to think he felt something beneath him. He pulled out a letter. I suppose this is Ginny’s, he thought to himself. She was the only one that had not received her letter. This meant that she could not have known it was his letter by default; she had to have read his letter. He decided that he would wait for her to come to him to discuss it. Nevertheless, his curiosity about her letter got the better of him and he opened it.

Ginny,

It was really wonderful having you over for the weekend. I’m sorry I couldn’t make it to your brother’s wedding, really sorry. Anyhow, my mum has a business trip to Spain next week and she said I could invite someone so that I don’t get too bored. I was wondering if maybe you’d like to go since you said your home is so crowded and hectic right now. If so, please send back an owl by tomorrow. If I don’t get an owl from you I’ll have to take Seamus (can you imagine Seamus on an aero plane?) Sorry for not telling you about this earlier…I’ll understand if you can’t come. If you can’t make it, at least save me a seat next to you on the Hogwarts Express!

Love,
Dean

Harry was flabbergasted by the letter he had just read. He felt the heat rise is the back of his neck. Dean had a lot of nerve asking Ginny away for an entire week, to a foreign country no less. He scanned the letter once more growing more irate with each word. This time there would be no Lavender and Seamus with them and Dean’s mother would be working. He felt a bizarre sense of possessiveness surge through him. There was no way Mr. and Mrs. Weasley would let Ginny go. What could that crazy git be thinking!

All the same, why risk it? The plan materialized instantly in his head as he pocketed Dean’s letter along with his own. Truth be told, Ginny would be safest around him, Harry. He was the one who fought Voldemort repeatedly and lived to tell the tale. He had even rescued her from Riddle's memory. He recalled that during their third year, Dean’s boggart had turned into a silly severed hand. There was no way that Dean could protect her as well as he could. Harry instantly decided that it would be best for all those concerned that Ginny stay with him at the Burrow. He didn’t feel an ounce of remorse.

One week later while he and Ron were doing the yard work, Harry ‘found’ a misplaced letter addressed to Ginny. Ron, no longer on speaking terms with Hermione, refused flat out to deliver the letter to Ginny due to the high likelihood that Hermione would be with her. Therefore Harry was forced to go to Ginny’s room to deliver it. He knocked nervously at the door of her room, patting down his hair.

“Come in.”

Here goes nothing.

He turned the knob of the door and stepped into Ginny’s room. Hermione sat cross-legged on her bed. Several books lay open around her. She was in the process of writing an essay for one of her classes. Relief and disappointment seeped over him at the same time as she looked curiously at him.

“Yes, Harry?”

“I was just looking for Ginny.”

“She’s gone with Bill to Diagon Alley.”

“Oh, do you know when she’ll be back?”

Hermione gave him a shrewd look.

“Why don’t you sit down Harry?”

He did as she asked and took a seat on Ginny’s bed. Hermione wore a rather serious look on her face.

She probably wants to talk about Ron.

“I want to know what’s going on with you,” she said without preamble.

“What do you mean?” he asked thoroughly confused.

“It’s very obvious that you’ve changed, Harry.”

She seemed upset with him. He mentally kicked himself for spending all his time with Ron since ‘the fight.’ He knew she cried everyday but Ginny promised to take care of her.

“Hermione, you know I’m just not good with that kind of…girl stuff,” his explanation sounded lame to his own ears.

“It’s just not fair Harry, I expected more from you.”

His conscience gnawed at him.

“I’m sorry.”

“So what are you going to do about it?”

Did she want him to make it up to her somehow?

Cautiously he asked, “What should I do?”

She shook her head, “Harry if it was anyone else…”

She stopped to collect her thoughts, “You’re both my friends, but I just can’t see how this is going to work out.”

“Don’t say that!”

“Harry I don’t mean to upset you. I know when a guy and girl are friend’s things can become…complicated.”

“That doesn’t mean they can’t work it out,” he persisted.

“True, but when the odds of that happening are slim to none…”

“Maybe,” he interjected, “the two of them should admit their true feelings and get together!”

“If they were both free, perhaps they could.”

“There’s nothing stopping them!” he insisted hotly.

“She has prior commitments! She is already seeing someone else!”

It was the first time he had ever heard Hermione admit to a “commitment” with Krum.

“I don’t know what she sees in that big git!”

Hermione looked as though steam would soon billow out of her ears.

“Dean is a nice boy!”

Dean? Did she have a thing for Dean now?

“What does Dean have to do with you and Ron?”

Hermione seemed to falter, “What? Me and who? What are you talking about Harry?”

“I’m talking about you, Ron, and Victor or Dean. Whoever it is you’re using to torture Ron!”

“Torture, Ron?” Hermione wore a dazed look on her face and shook her head slowly.

“Harry, I was referring to you, Ginny, and Dean.”

A tense silence ensued as Harry attempted to replay the conversation in his head. He wondered how the miscommunication about whom they were discussing had occurred. Before he could thoroughly consider the matter an over exuberant Ginny bound through the door.

“Come in,” she hissed at the door.

Harry’s confusion grew as he considered what sort of a loony bin he’d been thrown into. He heard a small whoosh before a sharp stab of pain shot through the back of his head. A floating wooden box had collided with him.

“Harry! Are you alright?” Bill appeared over him looking quite concerned.

“I’m fine,” he reassured them signaling for them to give him some space as he sat up.

“What’s in that thing?”

“China,” Ginny told him hastily.

“What?”

“A set of dining ware that, I hope, you haven’t broken!”

“What’s it for?”

“It’s my gift to Fleur,” Bill chimed in, “On our first date we were walking along in Diagon Alley and she went mad over this set of china that reminded her of the set her grandmother has.”

“I know what your thinking,” Ginny misinterpreted Hermione’s continued silence, “I didn’t think China would be the best present for Bill to give her either but when you hear his story I think you’ll agree that the sentimental value makes this perfect.”

“I’ll just leave you to it,” Harry said as he pushed himself off the floor.

“Don’t you want to hear the story Harry?”

“Next time Gin,” he promised, “For now I better get some ice on this head before it swells up any more.”

“I didn’t know it could,” Ginny retorted tartly.

He couldn’t help the smile that crept onto his face at the way she was smarting off at him.

“What was it you wanted from Ginny?” Hermione’s question snapped him back into reality.

He hesitantly fingered the letter still lingering in his pocket.

“Can’t remember,” he fibbed.

The likelihood that Hermione would put two and two together if he gave Ginny the letter now made him far too uneasy.

“Well if you get your memory back, you know where I’ll be,” Ginny teased.

As he walked down the stairs something Hermione had said continued to trouble at him.

Harry, I expected more from you.
The Prodigal Son Returns by Wise Owl
As dusk set over the horizon of the shanty window in Ron’s room a strong feeling of nostalgia assaulted his emotions. He could almost hear the tumultuous laughter drifting with the breeze. His minds eye was fixed on the precious, few stolen moments he’d had with Ginny before coming to the Burrow. Ever since his run in with Hermione he could no longer deny that his feelings for Ginny were starting to shift. The sunset took on the deep red of Ginny’s hair and he thought that if he just reached out he could feel those long red tresses running through his fingers.

Harry.

There it was again, how Hermione’s voice had managed to wrangle into his mind he’d never know.

I expected more from you.

What had she meant by that? Every time he had tried to get a private moment with her to ask for an explanation they had been accosted by one Weasley or another. She had sounded so disappointed in him, but wasn’t she Ginny’s friend? Shouldn’t she be happy that he was beginning to view Ginny in a different light?

Crashing sounds brought him out of his stupor and he finished packing his things and ensured that his trunk was securely fastened. His mind drifted to the day before when they had cleared out the wedding presents now coming in droves from Bill’s room to make space for Charlie. It was one of the rare excursions that Harry had managed to join. Bill had taken them to his new home to drop off the presents and offered to give them a quick tour. With the amount of Galleons that Bill had shelled out for the house Harry expected to find a decadent, highly ostentatious abode. He was surprised by the quaint, humble dwelling they had ended up at. It was undoubtedly the most modest home in the entire community of Flushing Meadows yet every one seemed in awe of it.

Ginny alone had realized Harry’s confusion. She leaned in close enough to explain the exceptional location of the house. He had only caught snippets of her explanation while inhaling her intoxicating fragrance. Apparently Flushing Meadows was the only entirely wizarding community in all of London. They were the only community able to resist and push back Voldemort’s forces when they came under attack. Many of England’s most powerful wizards lived in that community. Ron was highly excited because the Chudley Cannons captain lived across the street from Bill. He had kept his eye firmly fixed on the neighbor’s home the entire time.

The sounds of Fred’s yelps ended his reminisce and ushered in the realization that the Delacour’s had arrived. Unlike the tranquil day they spent in Bill’s new home today the atmosphere of the Burrow was highly charged. Without a doubt this was due to the arrival of the rest of the Weasley clan, namely Percy. Mrs. Weasley had been in a varying state of agitation throughout the entire day. She had even caused Ginny to go into a fit of tears. Harry had comforted her under the scrutiny of Hermione’s ever watchful eyes.

He had no sooner left the room when Mrs. Weasley’s call to dinner came. Earlier that day a very hesitant Mrs. Weasley had asked him for a quick word. She had informed him that Tonks and Fleur would be coming to stay for a few days and than gone silent. Without guessing Harry had understood her meaning. He offered use of Grimmauld Place right away. She had looked so relieved that he had not given it another thought. Now, however, the idea of several days in Grimmauld Place was disheartening. At least he’d have Ron for company, he thought to himself as he walked downstairs to dinner.

Dinner was a very strained affair that had no sooner started than it was over. Every one had silently filed into the family room where the fireplace stood crackling in the center. The occasional cough was the only thing to break the stifling silence. A few minutes passed before the flames of the fire shot up and Tonks extracted herself from the fireplace disregarding the melancholy mood and cheerfully greeting the waiting crowd. Seconds later the flames shot up again revealing Lupin within their midst and Harry’s spirits lightened marginally. He seemed to sense the severity of the mood and offered only a nod of the head in greeting.

Another few minutes passed while Fleur and Tonks chatted animatedly about Tonks’ school day antics with her best friend Charlie. It took a moment before Harry was hit with the realization that Tonks was referring to the second Weasley boy. He went back over their conversations in his mind and realized that she and Charlie both had been in the same year at Hogwarts. Both of them were also in Gryffindor. He looked over at Hermione and saw she was looking over at him and Ron. He took her smile to mean that she too hoped they too would be as close after leaving Hogwarts and gave her a wink. Ron seemed disconcerted by Harry and Hermione’s display of affection and for the first time in weeks looked at Hermione without a scowl.

The rustling in the fireplace caught their attention once more as Charlie emerged with a wide-toothed smile. Tonks had leapt from her chair sending it tumbling to the ground and thrown herself into Charlie’s arms. From one look at his face Harry was able to discern that Lupin found Tonks’ over-exuberant greeting of Charlie highly inappropriate. Charlie however seemed just as excited to see her planting a raspberry kiss on her cheek that broke the tense mood and had every one laughing. After Charlie had greeted them and been introduced to Fleur who he gave a long whistle causing Bill to cheerfully punch him they settled down once more.

Harry was the first to spot the arrival of the next guest, a regal-looking elderly woman. Despite her age he found her to be alarmingly attractive. Looking around he confirmed that he was not the only one with that reaction. Pépère had dropped his walking stick in mid-swing and George had fallen off his stool. Only Bill seemed immune as he walked up to her and introduced them all. Pépère quickly recovered from his initial awe of the obvious Veela who Harry was certain was Fleur’s grandmother returning to his regular brooding demeanor. Harry had no doubt that Pépère was not at all fond of this woman.

The regal lady proceeded to kiss both cheeks of every female in the room while issuing commands for each one to sit up straight, put on some makeup or fix their hair. Irregardless of the men’s reaction, the women were clearly out of sorts over her arrival. Upon viewing Gabrielle’s outfit she sat herself next to Mrs. Delacour and proceeded in a tirade about how children should be dressed for the harsh English weather. Mrs. Weasley in a gesture of unity with Mrs. Delacour offered aide against the paragon earning her an appreciative nod from Mrs. Delacour. The clock chimed signaling that the time was now nine on the dot.

“Two minutes,” came the terse pronouncement from Mr. Weasley.

The silence engulfed them once more. Even the new additions seemed to realize that some thing was coming. In precisely two minutes the flames burst forth once more and every one took a collective breath in, Percy had arrived. Confusion descended upon them once more. A young lady appeared where Percy should have stood. She had taken a deep breath in the fireplace and was now coughing profusely. Mrs. Weasley hurried to her grabbing a paper fan along the way. With quick flicks of her wrist she had fanned the smoke away from the girls face and proceeded to help her out of the fireplace. Only the youngest of the Weasley clan recognized the girl.

“Penelope?” Ginny inquired, wiping the shocked look from her face.

“Hello there,” Penelope greeted them in general good spirits disregarding the surprised looks she was attracting and gazing to her wristwatch, “Percy should be here in one minute.”

Before they could ask why she was there Percy had arrived and stepped out of the fireplace meticulously dusting off in the process.

“Mother,” he greeted Mrs. Weasley with a kiss on the cheek, “Father,” he nodded towards Mr. Weasley extending his hand by way of greeting.

For a tense moment it seemed that Mr. Weasley would not take his son’s hand, but seeing the anxious look on Percy’s face seemed to sway him and he formally shook Percy’s hand. Mrs. Weasley let out a cry of joy and engulfed her son in hugs and kisses. A much reassured Percy turned to the rest of his family. Seeing the mutinous looks on their faces shook his confidence, nevertheless he took the very teary eyed Penelope to his parents for a formal introduction. The question of what she was doing here was finally going to be answered.

“I would like to present to you my wife.”

*************************************************

The chaos that had erupted at Percy’s pronouncement still reverberated in Harry’s head as he lay down in his bed that night. Only Gabrielle who had taken an instant liking to Penelope was thrilled by the news. Mrs. Weasley had spent the rest of the night suspiciously eyeing Penelope. Ron had been disconcerted by the amount of tears that Penelope had cried and her obvious joy at joining the family. Even Ginny was taken aback by Penelope’s bizarre behavior. Hermione alone was the paradigm of civility offering congratulations on their nuptials and showing them to their room.

Harry heartily agreed with the twins that Percy had shown extreme disloyalty to the family. Not only had he not been to see Mr. Weasley at the hospital, but he had married without informing them. Later that night he had overheard the twins in the kitchen with Pépère and Gabrielle who was quickly translating between French and English to both parties. They were on the verge of making a deal in which Pépère would concentrate all his unpleasantness onto Percy.

What they would do on their part Harry didn’t find out. He spotted Ginny out on the porch sitting in the cold evening wind and went out to join her.

“Is this seat taken?” he had teased her tapping the space next to her with his foot. She offered him a tired smile and slowly shook her head. He caught her as she ran her hands up and down her arms to ward off the cold. He took off his jacket despite her protests and wrapped her up in it.

“Better?”

“Much.”

They had let the silence wash over them as the song of the crickets soothed their minds. Ginny had leaned her head on his shoulders and he’d held her. He had felt the anxiety ebb away slowly from her. She relaxed into his arms and turned to face him. She was so close he could count the very few childhood freckles remaining on her face. Her eyes were pools of satin brown and her hair was spread out over his shoulder like deep red silk tresses. Her perfume was having the usual effect of intoxicating him. Her lips were moist and full, he felt himself move in before he could think better of it.

With a thud and a screeching meow Crookshanks landed hard on a lawn gnome that was hiding in the bush beside them. As Ginny shooed him away the voice of his owner came crashing through Harry’s head.

I expected more from you.

He cursed Hermione in his mind and stood up. Ginny followed suit. He walked her into the Burrow and went directly to Grimmauld Place.

I expected more from you.

He finally understood. Hermione didn’t trust him not to break Ginny’s heart. How could he blame her? For all these years, when it had come to Ginny, he didn’t trust himself. He turned in his bed and beat his pillow soundly. Ginny was off limits. How could he have forgotten that Ginny was strictly off limits?

I expected more from you.

“So did I,” he whispered into the darkness.

A sleepy Ron snorted, “Say somethin ‘Arry?”

He didn’t respond and fought instead for the sleep that eluded him for the rest of the night.
No Complications by Wise Owl
The following week passed by in a flutter. After the first day at Grimmauld Place Harry learned that it was imperative to wake up well ahead of Ron and beat him to the Burrow. That was because Mrs. Weasley had a list of tasks on her to-do list and the earlier he arrived the more options he had. The first day he had gotten stuck looking at fabric swatches with Fleur for the new curtains she planned to install in the living room. Ron got to sort through the RSVP’s for the wedding with Tonks who drilled him about every defense against the dark arts class they had taken and asked for his input on new lessons.

Meanwhile, Fred and George went out of their way to make Percy’s life a nightmare. Oddly they treated Penelope with extreme kindness. Perhaps it was because she was blind to the torment they had unleashed on her husband. She was thoroughly insistent that Percy spend as much time with his family as possible. This included allowing Fred and George to test their products on him. Percy seemed to lose his backbone where Penelope was concerned and did everything according to her bidding. All the while Pépère had taken to the task Fred and George had assigned him with an ardor.

Percy had been knocked around several times by Pépère before realizing that it was intentional. Thereafter, whenever he saw Pépère coming he would jump behind random objects. Pépère for his part did amazingly well at sniffing Percy out; it had become quite the game of cat and mouse. Pépère liked his task so much that by the last few days before the wedding he had taken to sleeping with the ghoul in the attic so that he could spend all his time at the Burrow searching Percy out. Harry let Fred and George know that whatever they had promised Pépère was well worth it as he had been doing a splendid job.

Notwithstanding the antics of those around him, Harry’s mind was firmly fixed on Ginny. She had not changed her behavior towards him in anyway and his befuddlement over that had continued to grow. One day before the wedding Harry worked up enough courage to seek out Ginny to discuss their moment on the porch. On his way to her room he was startled by a white ghoulish thing emerging from the kitchen as a raspy wheezing sound of an old man laughing and hammering a stick on the floor came from within. Upon closer inspection he noticed that the white ghoul was none other than Percy covered in flour. A glance in the kitchen verified that Pépère was the wheezing old man. The odd thing was that Penelope was holding an empty bag of flour and the twins were standing in the corner of the kitchen in stunned silence.

Being that he was now used to seeing Percy in awkward situations Harry continued on his way without feeling the need to ask for an explanation. Once he had reached Ginny’s room he hesitated; not wanting to have another run-in with Hermione. Before he had the chance to knock Ginny had thrown the door open and walked straight into him.

“Harry! I’m so sorry, are you alright?”

“I’m fine,” he reassured her, “Could I talk with you a moment?”

She had backtracked into her room and waved him inside.

“Yes, Harry?”

“About that night on the porch…”

“That’s right!” she had shouted slapping her head, “I forgot to give you your jacket.”

She leapt across her bed and dug deep into the clothes piled on the floor of her closet producing his much wrinkled jacket.

“I’ve been meaning to give it back to you but we’ve been so busy that I kept forgetting.”

“It’s no problem.”

A moment passed in complete silence between them. Before he had the chance she did the oddest thing, she gave him a sisterly hug.

“Thank you for giving me a shoulder to lean on that night Harry, it was incredibly gentlemanly of you.”

Gentlemanly, yeah right!

“I’m glad that we’ve become buddies,” she told him, “I really needed a no complications friend right now.”

A no complications friend, is that what he was?

“So are you ready to walk down the aisle with me?”

The alarm over the change in topic must have shown on his face but Ginny took it in good humor.

“At Bill and Fleur’s wedding tomorrow,” she had teasingly clarified.

“Yes, of course I am.”

“Great, so I’ll see you then,” she told him as she ushered him out of her room and closed the door behind him.

Harry felt a strange emptiness as he stood outside of Ginny’s door. Had she even realized that he wanted to kiss her that night on the porch? She couldn’t have. That was the only plausible explanation for her behavior. She had delegated him into the role of her buddy, her no complications friend. Her feelings for him had changed drastically and that was…great. There was no reason to feel hallow inside. Harry lost track of time as he stood rooted to the spot outside of Ginny’s door contemplating his awkward situation.

“Harry, mate, I’ve been looking for you!” Ron informed him as he was trying to catch his breath.

“Right then,” Ron cheerfully told him before issuing him a strange command, “Cover your ears!”

Before Harry could ask why the reason came, the sound of a blow horn seemed to reverberate throughout the entire Burrow. The thought of the Burrow crashing down around them flashed through Harry’s mind but before he could act Ginny had once again thrown her door open and walked headlong into him.

“Harry! Sorry!” she squeaked at him for the second time.

He gave her a dull grin and refused to meet her eyes.

“A game of quidditch is it?” she looked to Ron for confirmation.

“Blow horn it is!” Ron replied excitedly.

“Great, I’ll go see whose playing,” Ginny yelled over her shoulder as she was already half-way down the stairs in quite the excited state.

“Blow horn?” Harry asked Ron, feeling that he was missing something.

“That’s Bill and Charlie’s secret code for quidditch,” Ron explained, “When we were little they’d send out some sort of obnoxious sound and we would all meet up at the paddock for some game or another.”

Harry, who was growing used to the many eccentricities of the Weasley family found he was amused yet again by the creativity of the young Weasley’s. His amusement was tampered when the thought of Dudley’s favorite game, clobber Harry over the head, came to mind. A blow horn would have been a nice warning, he thought to himself.

“Move it you lot!”

“Get your brooms!”

Fred and George issued the commands before thundering downstairs in a rush.

A thoroughly excited Ron dragged Harry to and from Grimmauld Place so that they could pick up their brooms. They had just made it to the paddock as teams were about to be picked.

“Nice of you to join us,” Charlie commented on their apparent delay as Harry and Ron fought to bring their breathing under control.

“As I was saying,” Bill continued, “Charlie and I will be captains so everyone stand in a line and we will select our players one by one.”

Once they had lined up Charlie inclined his head towards Bill and cordially said, “Tomorrow the noose, today the goose.”

Harry was completely befuddled by the phrase Charlie used and looked to Ron for clarification.

“Go,” Ron whispered from the corner of his mouth.

“What?” Harry asked certain that he had not heard correctly.

“Go!” Ron told him more insistently with a slight push.

Charlie’s laughter got his attention before he could argue with Ron.

“Harry you’re the goose,” Charlie informed him.

At the blank look on his face Charlie elaborated, “You know, the goose that laid the golden egg; the prized player!”

Harry walked with a slight swagger to join Bill’s team. He felt oddly proud that the two eldest Weasley’s thought of him as the best player. Once he reached his position behind Bill it occurred to him to ask what the noose was.

“That’s what Charlie calls marrying Fleur,” Bill confided, “He thinks I’m hanging myself.”

The smile that Bill wore suggested that he did not agree with Charlie’s synopsis of the situation.

“Actually,” Charlie announced, “its poor Fleur I’m worried about!”

Several minutes passed as Bill and Charlie good-humoredly wheedled one another until Ginny gave a sharp warning cough to remind them that they were supposed to be selecting teams.

“Well now you’ve got your seeker and I’ll be seeker for my team,” Charlie told Bill, “So I’ll take Ginny as a chaser.”

“I’ve heard good things about you Ginger bread man, don’t let me down!” Charlie warned Ginny.

Ginny turned to check out the competition, “We’ve got this one in the bag choo choo train!” she told Charlie flipping her hair at Bill and Harry who looked incredulously at each other in amusement.

The good natured ribbing continued as Charlie selected Ron for his keeper, Fred for his beater, and Gabrielle for his second chaser.

Bill in turn selected George as his beater and Percy, whose wife had forced him to partake in the “family activity”, as his second chaser. He managed to convince Hermione to play as his keeper thanks to the sneering retorts Ron made about her sheer lack of talent in any thing not book related.

Penelope conjured a chair to sit upon to watch the game while Tonks opted to be the referee. Fred and George brought a product that they wanted to test out, a long range hologram, and managed to block off the muggles view of the Burrow. This meant that they could fly rather high without fear of being spotted.

“What’s with all the weird nicknames?” Harry asked Ginny as they took flight.

“Charlie nicknames everything and everyone according to silly childhood rhymes or stories,” she winked conspiratorially at him, “Ron’s is the little piggy that went whee whee all the way home!”

“So naturally he must be…”

“Whee whee!” Ginny completed his thought nodding in affirmation.

Harry smiled at the morsel of embarrassment that she had just handed to him on a silver platter and considered telling Hermione so she could badger Ron about it.
A Woman’s Prerogative by Wise Owl
As the whistle blew sharply next to his ear he refocused his mind on the game ahead of him and drifted slightly higher than the players so that he could get a better view. He tried to keep his mind concentrated on locating the snitch but that soon became impossible as the mayhem unfolding below him proved too enticing to resist. Gabrielle was closely following Fred and keeping up a long steady of dialogue in which she was doing all the talking. Every time Fred swung the bat he would find Gabrielle far too near and would fall off his broom while attempting to keep the bat from hitting her.

George, on the other hand, kept hitting the bludger at Percy. Twice, while Tonks’ attention was elsewhere, George had hit Percy with the bat itself. Bill had his hands full trying to keep George from seriously injuring Percy. Meanwhile, Ginny was scoring loads of points for her team. This was a rather simple task since Hermione, who was afraid of being hit by the quaffle, would simply fly away anytime Ginny got near her goal posts. Every time Ginny would score for her team Ron would go into a rousing rendition of “Granger is our queen!” Harry felt worse for Ron than Hermione. That was because the look on Hermione’s face promised severe retribution.

As Ginny grabbed the quaffle yet again and zoomed to Hermione’s end of the paddock Fred finally managed to hit the bludger her way while a preoccupied Gabrielle showed off her flying skills to Penelope. Harry didn’t even have time to yell a warning when the bludger collided with her back pushing her to a dangerously low point on her broom. Terrified that she would fall Harry rushed to her aide. Fred had apologized profusely as she was a member of his own team. However this seemed to wake George up to the fact that Ginny had gotten a strong lead for her team.

Once Harry guaranteed she was safely back on her broom he went back to his job, looking for the snitch. Another crack signaled yet another bludger being hit in Ginny’s direction. This time George had taken a shot at her and the bludger had hit its mark. Ginny was knocked off course and dropped the quaffle. While she attempted to regain the quaffle from Percy, George hit a bludger that hit her so hard it knocked right off her broom. Luckily, she was merely a foot or two from the ground and didn’t have far to fall. Harry was incensed all the same and shot at George like a rocket in an effort to knock him off his own broom.

By this point Harry had lost track of the points. He split his attention between looking out for Ginny and looking for the snitch. The sooner the game ended, the sooner Ginny would be safe from her brother’s callousness. Charlie spotted the snitch before him and went hurling towards the ground where Ginny lay moments earlier. Harry managed to level himself with Charlie as they spiraled downward. The blood rushed into his ears silencing his teammates who were shouting at him as he focused his mind on the bit of gold twittering near the ground.

As he had judged, his firebolt soon overtook Charlie’s outdated broom. Unexpectedly, the snitch shot itself straight into the air. They were forced to turn their brooms upwards which meant Charlie had the advantage. Since he had not been going as fast as Harry, the change of direction was much easier to pull off. At that moment, George hit the bludger with a resounding crack. Afraid that Ginny was once again his target Harry took his eye off the snitch. Yet the bludger had been aimed at Charlie causing him to swerve to avoid being hit. With that Harry regained hope and with a spurt of energy shot up after the snitch securing it with incredible ease.

He landed with the snitch quite secure that his team would be well pleased with him. They were not. A downcast Bill patted him on the shoulder and told him, “Well at least you put an end to the humiliation.”

George refused to meet his eye at all. Instead, he took a seat on the ground shaking his head.

Wanting to know the extent of his stupidity Harry asked, “How much did we lose by?”

“Ninety points,” Hermione responded looking shamefaced, “I’m just glad it’s over.”

Ron choose that moment to break out into another rendering of “Granger is our queen” causing Hermione to attack him in a fit of rage with her broom. Fred and Gabrielle began to tease George as Bill was paying Charlie the sickle he owed him for losing the game. Harry didn’t really think there was any way that they could have made up the ninety points so he didn’t beat himself up over the loss. Besides, Ginny looked so happy celebrating her win that he decided to go over and congratulate her.

“Not too shabby,” he teased her playfully.

“I suppose some things are relative,” she confided in him, “if you’re describing my performance I’d have to agree; not to shabby indeed.”

She than put a shocked expression on her face, “Shabby pretty much describes the type of goose you’ve turned into!”

Her gloating was softened when she put her arm around him in a mock effort at consoling him.

“There…there…Harry, no need to cry.”

Flabbergasted at her accusation that he was crying he attempted to defend himself but she replied, “Now…now…Harry, no reason to get all emotion man, get it together!”

The two of them had a good laugh as they began to force the bludgers back into their box. Harry couldn’t help but to study the contours of Ginny’s face. She was glowing from her win and her enthusiasm radiated through her laughter and charming demeanor. With her quick wit she challenged him and than stung him with her sharp tongue. He could not remember ever enjoying being in a woman’s company as much as he enjoyed being with Ginny.

He remembered what they had discussed before the match. Perhaps he would take a go at being Ginny’s friend and confidante. What he really wanted to do was hold her in his arms and check to ensure that she had not been bruised when George had unleashed his full brutality against her. He considered who would be added to the coming year’s quidditch team. Without a doubt, Ginny would be able to get a position on the team. Could he really just watch as the beaters from the other team attacked her? If she was his girlfriend…but she wasn’t. They locked the trunk closed and Harry offered to carry it into the house.

Walking side-by-side with her Harry gave voice to his thoughts, “You’re a pretty good player Ginny, let’s hope Dean allows you to play for Gryffindor.”

In that instant time seemed to stop. Ginny looked at him in ashen-faced disbelief. Looking behind him he saw the Hermione had frozen in mid-swing during her attack on Ron, broom still in the air. Even Ron’s mouth had dropped open in stunned incredulity. Charlie and Bill looked at one another eyes wide open to verify that they had indeed heard correctly. Penelope swore vehemently while Percy tried to calm her down. The look that Tonks wore warned him that he had crossed some sort of line. Fred and George sat shaking their head as if to say ‘beginner’s error’.

It was Gabrielle who finally broke the gauche silence.

“What did you say?”

***************************************************

“There’s no time for blame now, we have to stand by him!” Fred argued.

“There’s always time for blame,” George shouted back as they continued to search for the last bit of floo powder.

“I know it’s here somewhere!” Ron insisted as he ripped the room apart.

“What on Earth possessed you to say something like that?” Charlie asked as he walked to-and-fro in front of the fireplace.

“He lost his mind!” Bill replied heatedly without giving Harry the opportunity to respond.

“What sane man would do something like that?” Charlie continued obviously attempting to find a reasonable explanation.

“I just hope you’re happy,” Ron told Harry, “It’s not just you that’s going to be punished for this; we are all going to pay!”

“Calm down,” Bill exclaimed at the riled bunch, “We’ve all done some thing like this before and we know that the key is to stick together.”

Three rapid taps followed by two slow ones signaled that Percy, who was standing guard at the window, wanted to be let in. As he climbed in gawkily he informed them that ‘she-who-must-not-be-named’ was coming, with reinforcements. This sent Ron into a more furious search whereupon he came up with a very small satchel.

“The emergency floo-powder,” he yelled triumphantly as the foot steps of the mob of women grew closer and their voices grew frighteningly loud.

Five pops in rapid succession indicated that the eldest Weasley boys had apparated to Grimmauld Place. Ron gave him a baleful glare and threw a handful of floo-powder into the fireplace. The women were now close if their angry sounds were a clue. As soon as Ron had gone Harry throw the last bit of floo powder into the fireplace. The kitchen door swung open with a crash and everything seemed to go in slow motion. With a glance over his shoulder he saw Ginny point while yelling ‘get him’ to the mob of women. All he could hear was the thumping of his heart as he turned and ran towards the fireplace. He felt a familiar pain to his knees as Pépère’s cackle filled his ears.

He fell headlong just outside of the fireplace and felt a hand wrap around his shoe. He did the only thing he could think of and used the other foot to take off his shoe while simultaneously pulling himself into the green flames. He arrived at Grimmauld Place with one shoe where he was unceremoniously yanked from the fireplace. Charlie shouted to Bill to seal it shut but before they could do that the sound of an object falling down the chimney caught their attention. The fireplace seemed to convulse and spit out an object that Harry caught. He held his other shoe, highly deformed and burned to the crisp. That launched Bill into action and he sealed the fireplace shut.

“They’re so sensitive,” Percy innocently remarked. They all laughed, whether it was from fear or relief Harry didn’t know or care.

************************************************

In the wee hours of the morning Mr. Weasley arrived at Grimmauld Place and rang the doorbell waking everyone up. He seemed cheerful and rather optimistic considering the events of the previous night. As they all gathered in the kitchen to eat the doughnuts that Mr. Weasley had brought from them, he filled them in on the compromise that he had negotiated with the women.

“You lot were rather lucky that today is the wedding. Once Fleur heard that Bill had run off she came to the Burrow in a fit of rage and forced the women to accept a ceasefire. Well, for the day anyways. At the stroke of midnight, however, it’s every man for him self.”

Having completed his mission, Mr. Weasley turned away from them wearing a somber expression on his face and whispered, “May God have mercy on your souls.”

With that, the five eldest Weasley boys went to the Burrow to dress for the wedding. Minutes later they appeared back at Grimmauld Place attire in hand. Percy told them that the women were still fuming over the forced compromise and wouldn’t give them a moment of peace to dress. The rest of the morning went peacefully by as they showered and dressed all the while teasing Bill about his last few hours of bachelorhood. By noon, Mr. Weasley was again at their doorstep informing them that it was time to go to the wedding hall.
Ze Wedding Allée by Wise Owl
“Well, there’s no need for you to continue dressing,” a very somber Charlie told Bill as he walked back into the men’s quarters, “Fleur’s gotten cold feet and run off.”

A half-naked Bill took off towards the door at the dire proclamation. He fell twice as he ran down the hallway, his unbuckled pants wrapping tightly around his ankles. When he had made it a fair distance away, Charlie shouted, “Just kidding!”

Thereafter he quickly apparated as the rest of the Weasley boys and Harry stood laughing at the disgruntled Bill who swore if Charlie dared to show his face at the wedding he would tear him limb from limb. Not twenty minutes later Charlie had convinced Bill that Fleur was in a fit of tears and refusing to walk down the aisle because the florist had brought the wrong color flowers. Bill seemed to have a very short attention span because once it was one hour to the wedding Charlie had again convinced him that Fleur was refusing to marry him, this time because her old Beauxbatons boyfriend had come for her.

The women were having similar fun in their section, Percy had whispered to Harry. Tonks had told Fleur that the men had hired a striper for Bill, which had sent her into a rage that almost brought the whole wedding hall down around their ears. Subsequently, Ginny had come up with a spectacular fabrication that Bill and Tonks had once dated and were still secretly in love. At that trumped-up story Fleur had cried her eyes out for a good half hour. From then on, Mrs. Weasley forbade them from annoying Fleur in any fashion. Conversely, Mr. Weasley thoroughly enjoyed driving Bill up the wall.

Now that there were only thirty minutes before the wedding procession, the whole thing seemed surreal to Harry. Ron snapped at everyone that came near him presumably terrified at walking down the aisle alone. He confided to Harry that he had not asked Luna to be his date irregardless of what Hermione might think. Harry had been sure that all the distress Ron had inflicted on Hermione would come back to haunt him and didn’t fancy being in Ron’s shoes one bit. Of course his own shoes were going to be rather tight while he walked down the aisle with Ginny but at least he wouldn’t have to endure the humiliation of walking unaccompanied.

The minutes trickled away and they were soon being marched outside the wedding hall where the voices rumbled within. Bill gave them an anxious wave as he went inside to take his place at the altar. Once he was in position Mr. Weasley sent Percy off to get the women. Gabrielle came first in a rather sour mood as Fred’s partner Angelina joined him and they were mock stretching to prepare themselves for the walk. It was in that instant that Charlie remembered that he did not have a partner to walk down the aisle. He picked up a white blossom from a nearby arrangement and approached Gabrielle.

Busy surly eyeing Angelina she was caught by surprise when Charlie got down on bended knee in front of her.

“Little one,” he began, “I find that you and I are without a partner! I propose that we rectify this situation right away! Will you walk down the aisle with me?”

After a bit of giggling and blushing Gabrielle took the blossom from Charlie and nodded sheepishly. He offered his arm to her and she shyly took it while sneaking a glance at Fred to make sure he was watching. Charlie walked Gabrielle to the front of the line pushing Fred and Angelina out of their way. He covertly looked over his shoulder and let them know, “The eldest goes first.”

Harry leaned over to tease Ron about Charlie getting the last available woman and query whether he had thought to ask Gabrielle? Before he could get a word out the sight that met his eyes stopped his ability to speak altogether. In a flowing bridesmaid dress of light green tones with garlands intertwined in her deep red locks Ginny had arrived. Hermione also looked amazing in a light blue dress with ribbons in holding her once bushy mane now miraculously tamed into spiraling curls. They were flawlessly made up and balanced themselves quite gracefully on heels that were simply too high to be allowed.

Ginny and Hermione stepped out from behind the large banister that separated the men’s and women’s section and walked towards them. Harry and Ron shot each other a quick look that confirmed that they both had had the breath knocked out of them, albeit for different reasons. He was sure that Ginny had correctly identified the astounded look on his face when she raised one eyebrow at him in bemusement. The huge double doors that lead into the wedding hall opened up before Harry could compliment Ginny on her look.

Hermione took her place by Ron’s side without being asked. Harry felt that she deserved a standing ovation for all the class she was showing. Even after all the hurt Ron had put her through with his immaturity here she was standing by his side in his moment of need. Tonks, Mrs. Weasley, Mrs. Delacour, Mr. Delacour and Fleur arrived just in the nick of time. The pianoforte began to play the wedding march and they all got in line. Harry noticed that George seemed to have made good on his promise and had both Alicia Spinnet and Katie Bell as his dates.

Charlie and Gabrielle went first, followed by Percy and Penelope then the twins and their combined dates. Ron, who had still not offered his arm to Hermione, took her hand in his own. He laced their fingers together while starring straight ahead at the aisle in front of them. She gave him a strange look as he twisted his arm to bring her closer. They were now in the position to walk down the aisle and they did so. Harry got a lump in his throat. A wave of déjà vu overtook him although he knew he had never seen them walk down the aisle before. He hoped he would be there the next time they would walk down the aisle. In that instant, he was sure there would be a next time.

He ushered Ginny to their position and turned for one last look at her. She had also chosen that moment to glance at him. Gazing into her eyes he felt reassured that they would make it, together. The signal came and they were the last couple to walk down the aisle. It seemed to be an impossibly long trek, but with Ginny on his arm, as his date, he was content. Once they had reached the end he reluctantly let Ginny go and took his place besides Ron. The old witch at the pianoforte began to play the wedding march on a higher chord just as she had done in rehearsal.

That was Fleur’s signal to walk down the aisle with her parents by her side. Everyone in the wedding hall took a collective gasp when their eyes fell upon the radiant bride. Harry took that moment to sneak a glance at Ginny who was already looking at him. He felt no awkwardness as he allowed his eyes to drink her in. All too soon Fleur had reached Bill and they stood at the altar. As they spoke their vows Harry noted that Ginny and Hermione had lapsed into silent tears.

His parents had married when they were only a few years older than him. In their wedding pictures they had seemed so happy and carefree. He stole another glance at Ginny and wondered, could he ever be that naïve?


The real party didn’t start until the reception. Harry was shocked when Mafalda had walked in with Dudley on her arm. Amusingly, Dudley looked relieved to see Harry and had annoyed him for a good twenty minutes with empty conversation until he saw Hagrid and Madame Maxime making their way over to them. The frightened Dudley had run back to Mafalda and her human-sized cousins.

“’Arry I’m glad to see ya I am!” Hagrid declared in a booming voice.

“I’m glad to see you too!” Harry sincerely said remembering the horrifying scene he had witnessed during his astronomy OWL in which a group of ministry wizards had attempted to take Hagrid out inadvertently striking Professor McGonagall.

Harry was genuinely surprised to see Hagrid at such a formal function when at the end of the previous school year he had been forced into hiding.

“Did Dumbledore…?” before he could complete his thought Hagrid wailed, “Great man Dumbledore! Great man!”

He took it to mean yes, Dumbledore had located and taken care of Hagrid.

Hagrid leaned down and said in a much quieter and more concerned tone, “How’re ya feelin’ ‘Arry? Been doin’ alright since…you know?”

The third degree about Sirius wasn’t as bad as he’d expected and he was able to get out having to answer any questions when Ginny grabbed him for their first dance.

“Thanks,” he whispered in her ear, his hand on the small of her back as he held her close and inhaled her scent for the umpteenth time.

“Welcome,” she replied looking away.

The time seemed to stretch as they danced but he knew that the precious few stolen moments that they had were ebbing away. If he didn’t say something now he would regret it.

“I’m sorry.”

She looked into his eyes, he felt his knees lock, his stomach clenched up, “Me too.”

There was really no reason for her to be sorry, but he knew she simply wanted to clear the air between them. Without thinking he pulled her closer and kissed the top of her head. If he could stay in that spot holding Ginny forever, he would do so in a heart beat. His honest nature forced him to confess that his attempts to block her out all these years were futile. Walking down the aisle with her by his side had reinforced what he knew all along, he had always loved Ginny.

When he had first seen her at the train station, her shy demeanor had caught his attention. Seeing all her brothers around her had been quite off putting. Then, the following year…it was impossible to describe the fear that had gripped his heart when he learned that Ginny had been taken into the chamber or the rage that had raced through him when he had seen her lying helpless on the cold marble floor while Riddle sucked her soul out bit by bit. He had watched her on the quidditch pitch, in the hallways between classes, in their common room, and at Hogsmeade.

She had dealt him quite the blow when she had gotten with that git Michael. He could never appreciate someone like Ginny, of that Harry was certain. Now she was with Dean. Dean was better suited for Ginny, but that didn’t mean he was the most suitable one. From what he knew of Dean, he was sure he’d see Ginny in all her glory and appreciate her. That’s what made his so dangerous. What if Ginny fell for Dean? He knew the answer to that, his heart would whither up and die. Still, it was a risk he had to take, a risk he was glad to take.

What if Voldemort went after Ginny again? The first time, it was merely because he was a friend of her family. What if he knew the extent of his feelings towards Ginny? He took a deep whiff of her perfume and nestled his face into her hair. He’d kill her. Like he killed everyone else that Harry ever loved. He could never risk losing Ginny to Voldemort, even if that meant giving Ginny to Dean. The curves of her body seemed to fit perfectly into his. He didn’t want to think about all the reasons Ginny was off limits, he wanted to record this moment as one of the precious few he would have with her.

She went rigid in his arms, “Dean?”

Was she reading his mind?

“Dean!” she exclaimed looking at a spot over his shoulder.

His world came crashing down around him, he knew without looking what he’d find when he turned around. He let his hands fall away from her and she took off leaving him standing in the middle of the dance floor. There was no way to control the bitterness that spread within him like a disease ripping his insides apart. As he finally turned he saw Dean twirl her. The hollow feeling grew more acute than ever as he reminded himself…

She’s with Dean.
The Brooding Table by Wise Owl
Harry sat brooding over the sour turn that the evening had taken. Dean had walked up to Harry and extended his arm for a handshake. Of course Harry had been too busy resisting the urge to deck the pompous git to notice that. Instead of decking him, which he sorely regretted not doing as he watched him dancing with Ginny; he had stalked off the dance floor ignoring Fred’s invitation to join him and Fleur’s cousins in some sort of drinking game. He had taken the shady table in back, furthest away from the dance floor, but that didn’t mean that he couldn’t see Ginny in Dean’s arms. It was like watching an accident; he wanted to look away but couldn’t seem to turn his head.

He preferred sulking alone but that was made impossible when Ron joined him. Luckily, Ron too was in a terrible mood his eyes pinned on Hermione and one of Fleur’s particularly handsome cousin.

“Can men be veela’s?” Ron queried.

“No.”

“What’s with you?”

“Nothing,” Harry lied.

“Oh, right! The stupid gits here,” Ron ignored Harry’s response, “I saw him earlier.”

Ron took a few seconds to throw Harry a sympathetic look before returning his vigilant eyes to Hermione.

Harry considered talking it over with Ron but thought the better of it and returned to his sullen disposition.

Unfortunately, their position put them closest to the entryway thereby forcing them to mingle with the incoming guests. Harry and Ron’s attention was momentarily diverted when a tall eagle hat signaled the arrival of the Longbottom’s. True to his word Neville was wearing none other than Susan Bone’s on his arm for that night’s festivity. He quickly spotted them and made the short trek to their table keeping his date by his side. They exchanged quick greetings around the table as the couple joined the gloomy pair.

“You both look very…erm,” Susan stopped her compliment in midstream as they had both shot her a menacing look.

“Is something wrong?” Neville wondered shooting them a worried look.

Annoyed by the interruption Harry realized that if he didn’t shift his focus to the couple they would easily ascertain the object of his perusal.

“So did the two of you enjoy the wedding?”

“It was lovely!” Susan gushed wearing a relieved look on her face, “The bride looked beautiful as she walked down the aisle.”

Neville nodded his agreement, “It was very nice.”

They lapsed into another awkward silence as Harry shot around in his mind for possible topics to talk about.

“Looks like Dumbledore’s managed to get us another defense against the dark arts teacher this year,” Susan shared.

“I don’t know how he does it,” Neville shock his head in wonder.

“You mean Tonks?” Harry commented, “She’s somewhere around here.”

“It’s a woman?” Susan asked.

“I hope she’s not like the last one,” Neville said a bit of fear creeping into his voice.

“How do you know her?” Susan continued.

“Family friend,” Ron answered, it looked as though he was going to join in the conversation now that the song had ended and Hermione was going to the ladies room with Ginny.

“What’s she like?”

“She’s standing next to Lupin,” Harry pointed Tonks out.

“Wow!” Susan exclaimed, “She looks so cool!”

“She looks young,” Neville noted.

“She is,” Ron said over his yawn, “Went to school with Bill and Charlie.”

“Is she qualified to teach?” Susan wondered.

“She’s an auror,” Harry told her, as though that settled the question.

“I have some rather exciting new,” Susan whispered to them.

“Hmpf!” Ron rolled his eyes in doubt.

“They could always read about it in tomorrows Daily Prophet,” Neville said in response to Ron’s rudeness.

“What is it?” Harry asked his curiosity piqued.

Susan took a good long moment allowing the suspense to build before she her news came flowing out, “My aunt’s been made Minister of Magic!”

“WHAT!”

Both Harry and Ron had been startled by the unexpected news.

“Shhhh!” Neville whispered looking around them to ensure that no one had heard their outburst, “It’s not official until tomorrow.”

Harry and Ron exchanged a look of disbelief.

“What happened to Fudge?” Ron asked.

“Grams says that ever since news that you-know-who is back got out, the ministry’s been in deep water,” Neville explained, “Fudge finally gave in to the pressure and resigned.”

“Of course they asked Dumbledore first,” Susan added, “But he said he would rather be at Hogwarts…and my aunt was the next in line!”

“She’ll be sworn into office next week,” Neville told them.

“It’s too bad we’ll be at Hogwarts,” Susan sighed wistfully, “Don’t get me wrong, I’m really excited about learning to apparate, but that means I’m going to miss seeing my aunt officially take office.”

Before they could say another word a screeching Susan jumped up on her chair pointing to a large spindly legged tarantula hastening towards them. Ron did her one better by jumping onto the table itself and bellowing at Lee Jordon to put his pet away. Gabrielle helped Lee put the tarantula away cooing at it as though it was a harmless kitten. Once Ron had gotten down from the table he excused himself posthaste and went to join Hermione who had just exited the ladies room presumably to tell her about Susan’s news. Susan was lead further into the reception hall by Neville after they had exchanged a quick goodbye and they disappeared into the crowd.

As Harry scanned the room his eyes fell on the live swans floating in the running waters that encircled the reception hall and thought that perhaps Fleur had overdone it a bit. After giving in on the faeries lighting the extravagant floral arrangements Bill should really have put his foot down. In any case, Harry was certain he would make a fool out of himself later in the evening when they sat down to dinner and he was right. He had two fork too many and four spoons to contend with. Not to mention the rather unappealing French food that was provided.

Once he had realized that the delicacy being served was none other than slugs he had refused to eat another bite. He turned his attention to locating Ginny who he had lost much earlier in the evening. He couldn’t help but to take a few moments to watch a drunken Fred as he spoke in slurred speech to his drinking buddy about what she could possibly see in Lee Jordon. It took a moment to figure out that the ‘she’ Fred was referring to was not Angelina, but rather Gabrielle.

It certainly looked as though Gabrielle had transferred her affection to Lee who seemed to enjoy having someone hanging onto his every word. He showed her magic trick after magic trick and in response she would clap enthusiastically and tell him how wonderful and talented he was. It definitely looked as though Fred had some tough competition. Dudley was being coaxed by a mean-spirited Mafalda into trying out Fred and George’s latest line of sweets. He grew the trunk of an elephant when he ate a bon bon and turned bright purple when he ate a gumball.

As amusing as the antics around him were, he had yet to spot Ginny and Dean. What he did spot was Pépère and Fleur’s regal grandmother acting as un-regal as it was possible to be. The suspicion formed in his mind and was confirmed when George who caught him checking the pair out gave him a wink and a thumbs up. Somehow, this was Fred and George’s payback for Pépère’s torment of Percy. How they had managed to get Fleur’s grandmother enamored with Pépère was anyone’s guess. Harry suspected some sort of love potion may have been utilized in this instance.

Before he could find Ginny and Dean, Ron found him. Perhaps he noticed him scanning the room because he pointed Ginny, who was eating with Hermione, out.

“I think they keep forgetting who their dates for the wedding are,” Ron told him in exasperation as Dean and Fleur’s cousin that had been dancing with Hermione earlier took the seats beside them.

Harry and Ron resumed their seats at their ‘brooding table’ and watched every movement that their respective dates were making. A cough from behind them brought them out of their stupor.

“Might want to put your eyes back in their sockets, boys!” Charlie teased as he took a seat at their table, “Why the long faces?”

“Our dates seem to have forgotten that they’re our dates,” Ron explained stressing the second ‘our’.

“Or,” Charlie interjected, “Perhaps you lot have forgotten that they’re your dates!”

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ron bite back irritated.

“I haven’t seen you two around them all night,” Charlie pointed out, “Did you expect them to sit in the corner all night…like you?”

Charlie made a valid point, Harry was willing to concede. That was, in regards to Ron. However he, Harry, had been replaced. Ginny had not even noticed that he was gone. Not that she’d had an opportunity to do so with Dean constantly in her face. He clenched and unclenched his fists; the urge to deck him was still there.

Charlie quieted down for a bit but when he spoke again he seemed much more introspective and thoughtful, “Take it from someone who knows,” he advised them, “the longer you spend on the side-lines watching them, the more likely someone else will swoop in and take them right out from under you.”

Charlie seemed to have joined their brooding mood. Harry followed Charlie’s line of vision and his eyes fell upon Tonks dancing with Lupin. They were to the right of Mr. and Mrs. Weasley who were slow dancing cheek to cheek. Conversely, Tonks was swinging her hair and laughing. Lupin and Tonks looked happy, genuinely happy. Harry thought that Lupin looked younger and freer. How could he have missed that? He looked back at Charlie and caught the sadness in his eyes. Nevertheless, Harry was adamant that Lupin deserved Tonks. Charlie had known her for years, if he truly wanted her than they would have been together by now.

He realized his hypocrisy all at once. He too had years to declare his feelings for Ginny. Now that she was with someone else he sat here consumed by jealousy. It was not as though she had not shown her feelings towards him. He had let her feelings be the object of ridicule and now wanted her to validate his feelings.

Percy walked by as Ron asked, “How do you show a girl that you care?”

“Marry her,” Percy had answered nonchalantly as he hustled to Penelope carrying her fruit salad.

“Marry her,” Charlie repeated in a considerate voice, “That does seem to be the only way to make sure she’ll always be there, I guess Bill had the right of it.”

“I guess so,” Harry responded still in knots over his hypocrisy.

“Can you ever win them back?” Ron asked to no one in general.

“Only if they want you to,” Charlie responded.

Before they had a chance to contemplate any further the sound of explosions ushered in Fred and George’s fireworks show. The first round of fireworks turned into believable looking dragons, two of which chased Dudley around the hall and hung him up on the chandelier. The second round produced a spectacular lights display, the likes of which Harry had never seen in his life. The third and final round was by far the most enjoyable. Everyone was given a parting gift of chocolates. They followed the display with a launch of a small rocket that burst in the air and spelled out ‘Congratulations Bill and Fleur’ in golden stars.

Once everyone thought that the display was over they gathered their possessions and gifts to leave but another, smaller rocket was launched. It exploded over Percy and Penelope and wrote in the air ‘Congratulations on the Baby’. Well, Harry thought, that explained why Percy did everything Penelope ordered him to do. He wouldn’t want to have a pregnant lady be angry at him either. Harry looked over at Mrs. Weasley who looked like she was about to faint. Harry doubted Mrs. Weasley could take anymore of Percy’s surprises. Harry found it odd that Fred and George were congratulating Percy, but than he realized that they were actually outing his secret to the world.

How did they find out that Penelope was pregnant? And what else did Percy have in store for them? Everyone gathered outside so that Fleur could throw her bouquet. The girls lined up behind her all hoping for the opportunity to catch it. Ginny had out jumped them all and ended up with the bouquet. She really would make a spectacular chaser, Harry thought to himself. As she had jumped she caught his eye. Once she had landed she waved the bouquet at him. He felt the strong need to go to her, but Dean beat him there. As she hugged Dean he turned around and walked away.

Would Ginny ever want him to win her back? He pushed Fred away from his house plant at Grimmauld Place where it looked as though he were about to take a tinkle. Somehow he doubted it.
Innocent Until Proven Guilty by Wise Owl
Harry watched the clock on the wall as the handle that read ‘Ron’ went to traveling. He looked to his numerical watch to confirm that Ron and Hermione were now boarding the Hogwarts Express. He felt strangely alone without their company and resented the age restriction that had left him here in the Burrow instead of on the Hogwarts Express beside his friends. On the other hand, Dean was finally gone. Well, for a week anyhow. Ever since the wedding Dean had come by the Burrow daily to visit Ginny. Since his own mother was working all day, Mrs. Weasley felt the need to care for Dean, encouraging him to stay for extended periods of time.

That meant that he, Harry, had been completely neglected by both of the Weasley women. Not that Dean was the only one getting all of their attention. After the wedding Mrs. Weasley had some choice words for Penelope for ‘trapping’ Percy. Penelope had responded with a tale that had blown them all away. The night Mr. Weasley had been attacked Percy had eaten dinner at her home with her family. The hour had gotten late and her father had insisted that Percy spend the night. In the wee hours a screeching owl outside their home had awoken all the inhabitants. Her father had opened a window to allow the owl to enter.

As though on a mission, the owl had torn up the house looking for Percy. Once he had found him, he delivered a bit of parchment with a message hastily scribbled that informed him his father had been injured and taken to St. Mungo’s. Along with Mr. Clearwater, Percy had immediately gone to St. Mungo’s where he had been informed that his father was in critical condition but that no one was allowed in to see him as of yet. In all haste they had made their way to the Burrow. Unfortunately Percy could find none of his family there. No matter where they had gone he could find no one from his family. It was as though they had all disappeared off the face of the Earth.

A blind hysteria had set in when Percy found he could get no answers to his questions about his father or his family’s whereabouts. In response, Penelope’s father had brought him back home to their home and given him a strong sedative. The potion had been a bit too potent and had left Percy in a languished state for several days. Lucky for them all, Penelope’s great aunt had been a master healer. A portrait of her hung just outside the Magical Maladies ward. Early the following morning she had given them the cheerful news that Mr. Weasley was in the clear.

After the effect of the sedatives had worn off, Percy had gone to visit his father. He was stunned when his father had refused to see him. He had returned to Penelope in dismay announcing that he had no family. Her heart had broken upon hearing his plight. Her father had been so shocked and repulsed by the Weasley family’s treatment of their son that when Percy had asked for her hand in marriage later that night he had immediately given his consent. The following morning they had eloped. Her family was the only witnesses to their union. Four months later, she had found herself pregnant. She and Percy lived their lives as normally as possible while ignoring the very existence of the Weasley family.

That was, until Errol had brought an invitation. Penelope had seen instantly how shaken Percy had gotten when he had seen Errol arrive. He had not known how to respond to the invitation and merely went off to work. After careful consideration she had crafted a plan to mend the rift between him and his family. But every thing had gone wrong from the moment they entered the Burrow and she could not fathom why. Until the morning before the wedding when Gabrielle had filled Penelope in on what Fred had told her…that Percy had betrayed the family. Right away she had asked Gabrielle to bring Fred to her. She had set him straight on all accounts. He had even gone to St. Mungo’s to see her aunt’s portrait and verify her story.

Everyone looked to Fred for verification of this spectacular tale and he had very somberly nodded. Mr. Weasley had lost all color in his face while Mrs. Weasley had cried up a storm. Percy had left the Burrow after that, refusing to share a home with them now that he knew they had considered him a traitor. Nonetheless, all the Weasley’s had stopped by Percy and Penelope’s home to reconcile with Percy. He had been slow to forgive them, but finally had upon Penelope’s insistence. Now that she was almost four months into the pregnancy, Penelope and Mrs. Weasley had become inseparable. They began to prepare the nursery in yellow upon learning that Penelope was pregnant with twins, a boy and girl.

Mr. Weasley had cautiously approached Percy at work and offered to share his lunch. As it turned out, Penelope did not have Mrs. Weasley’s flair for cooking and Percy had ravished the meal that his father had put in front of him. From then on, they had eaten lunch together while discussing the running of the Ministry under the new Minister of Magic. Soon, Percy was soliciting his father for marital advice and it seemed that the world had set itself aright. At least, as far as the Weasley’s were concerned. Harry had also been ashamed that he was of those who were so quick to doubt Percy’s integrity and apologized profusely.

Surprisingly, Percy had thanked him for getting the word out about his father’s injury, now that he knew that it had been Harry that had saved his life. He also offered his condolences for Sirius. Then there were Fred and George. Perhaps it was due to all the hell they had put him through, but the twins had taken the most drastic measures to embrace Percy back into the family. They bought and moved into the house adjacent to Percy’s home all the while insisting that Percy and Penelope would need all the help they could get once the babies came. Charlie and Tonks decided that they would spend the rest of their vacation time with Percy and Penelope and moved in without being invited.

Harry watched Percy light up at all the attention his family was now lavishing on him. He had no doubt that with his shifting views towards the ministry; Percy would soon be joining his father and brothers in the Order of the Phoenix. Irregardless, Harry sat continuing to stare at Mrs. Weasley’s clock in which only Ginny’s arrow pointed to ‘home’. Seeing as he had been avoiding Ginny ever since the wedding, not that she’d noticed, he decided now was the perfect opportunity. He went and got the Marauders Memoirs that Lupin had given him and began flipping through. A flying ‘P’ on one of the pages caught his eye. He wondered who the flying ‘P’ symbolized and decided to find out.

The page contained a stag that had cuddled with a lily; they had been relatively easy to tap. The flying ‘P’ however, had taken quite some work to pin down but he was finally able to accomplish his goal. It was as though someone had pulled the ground out from under him as he fell spiraling into the book. Soon his feet hit hard ground and he pulled himself together. He smiled at the sight of his father and godfather. They looked to be about his age. Sirius was bouncing a small ball against the wall of a house while sitting on the porch railing. Within the porch, James lay on a swinging chair hands behind his head looking into the air.

“I don’t know about this Potter,” Sirius warned, “Evans is a bit out of your league.”

His father smiled lazily, “A bit nicer looking than that troll you’ve been after, I suppose.”

The insulted Sirius threw the small ball directly at James who managed to avoid getting hit with an agile twist.

“What makes you think she’d want anything to do with you?” Sirius persisted, “She thinks were just a couple of troublemakers.”

“Don’t you see?” James argued adamantly, “Women like to think they can change men!”

“So,” Sirius said.

Harry wasn’t entirely sure where his father was going with this line of reasoning.

“So, they feel happy when they help us reach ‘our full potential’” James replied in a mock female voice.

Harry still wasn’t sure where his father was going with this and judging by the look Sirius wore, neither was he.

James threw Sirius an exasperated look, “So, she tutors me in charms and thinks I’m getting better and ‘helps me grow’ and falls in love with me!”

Sirius gave James a highly skeptical look, “But you don’t need tutoring in charms, you’re doing just fine,” he insisted.

“Exactly!” James exclaimed.

Harry smiled; his father was a sly dog.

“Exactly what?” Sirius asked clearly not following the logic.

“She tutors me in a subject I already know,” James began ticking off his fingers.

“Check,” Sirius said in reply.

“I pretend like I don’t understand the material at first,” he continued.

“Check.”

“Then, I begin to learn more with her help and soon she sees real potential.”

Sirius looked dubious but nevertheless said, “Check.”

“Once test time comes I get a Acceptable!”

“Why not an Exceeds Expectations?” Sirius couldn’t help but wonder.

“Because then she might think I don’t need any more help!”

“Right, umm…check?”

“That’s when I tell her, ‘Lily, I couldn’t have done this without you’ so she thinks she’s the reason I’ve become serious about my studies!”

“Wouldn’t be easier to just become more serious about your studies?”

“No! That would destroy the whole point!”

“Ok, and then?”

“You forgot to say check.”

“Oh right! Check.”

“Then, she will have gotten to know me well enough that she’ll agree to go on a date with me.”

It looked to Harry as though Sirius was itching to point out that James could simply ask her on the date without the whole convoluted plan but he held his tongue. Suddenly James jumped up and began to stride towards Sirius’ motorbike.

“Where are you going?” Sirius shouted in alarm.

“I’ve got a tutoring session at eight!”

“Don’t let any muggles see you!”

“Don’t worry!” James shouted as Harry scrambled onto the back of the motorbike and they sped off into the air.

Harry focused all his attention on his father. He had never seen him so…alive. His father really did look incredibly like him, except that he was not quite so thin. Unlike Harry, he seemed to like his hair messy, the messier the better. His father reminded him strongly of Fred. He was a regular troublemaker extraordinaire. His overly complicated plot to get Lily’s attention reminded him of his own difficulty with Ginny. Maybe he’d take a leaf out of his old man’s book and fake fail a class. Of course, it would never work; Hermione would throw a fit over his laziness and force him to study.

Before he could get back to observing his father the stench of something burning caught his attention. He looked for the cause when his father suddenly took a nosedive towards a house that was engulfed in flames. Once they had touched down James had jumped off the motorbike and Harry followed suit. Screams came from within the house and Harry felt himself panic. He looked to his father and found him crashing into the front door to open it up. Harry had moved to help when the sounds of a scream came from his right. He turned and found Ginny immersed in flames.
Aunt Petunia’s Secret Horror by Wise Owl
He couldn’t believe his eyes but didn’t take time to question what he was seeing. He ran at top speed towards Ginny and leapt through the air upon her. He rolled with her in the grassy lawn as she continued to scream. As he looked down at their clothing that were not singed whatsoever. The fire was nowhere near them. It was still in the same location that Ginny had been standing when he had seen her. Logic prevailed and it dawned on him that they were in his father’s memory and it was impossible to get hurt in a memory. He calmed Ginny down and explained that they were safe.

He sat up and held Ginny next to him. She still looked quite shaken.

“What are you doing here?” he asked.

“I just came to see what you wanted to eat,” Ginny told him, “Then I found this book on the floor and I saw you in it.”

“So you came in after me?”

She nodded tensely the fear still evident in her eyes.

“Shhh, it’s alright,” Harry comforted her; “We’re in my fathers’ memory.”

“Is his house on fire?”

“I don’t think so,” Harry told her while swallowing convulsively.

“Whose house is this?” she asked.

He had a hunch, but before he could share it with Ginny three masked men came running from the back of the house. Harry instantly recognized them as deatheaters and jumped up to go after them as one of the conjured the dark mark overhead.

“Harry it’s a memory, you can’t do anything to them!” Ginny cried out as she clung to him.

Against all of his better instincts he let them flee. In no time at all the front door was slammed open by James who carried a limp body in his arms. Ginny tightened her hold on him and they made their way to where James had delicately laid the body before returning into the house. His deathly pale mother lay on the ground. Her hair, the same color of the burning embers, lay spread around her like a glowing wreath. Blood oozed from the cuts on her face and neck into a thick pool eerily outlining her features. James smashed though the second story window and it was all that Harry could do to get Ginny away from the flying shreds of glass.

A frantic girl threw herself on his mother while screaming to her parents for help, but they never came. Harry looked to Ginny to confirm that she too had heard the growing sounds of an ambulance. Not soon enough, the ambulance arrived taking James, Petunia and Lily away. His mother was still unconscious when they had left. Harry took Ginny under the elbow just as he remembered Dumbledore doing with him and muttered ‘Evanesco’. The ground lurched a second before he was shot upwards and out of the Marauders Memoirs. Their feet hit the kitchen floor but Ginny sank down unable to stand. Harry sat on the ground rocking her back in forth in his arms. They let the horror of the scene they had watched sink in.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“It couldn’t have been a coincidence,” Harry told Ginny over the hot cup of tea she had just poured him.

“I suppose not.”

“If it was a muggle attack more houses would have been hit,” Harry continued.

Ginny nodded her agreement.

“They were after my mother; they wanted her dead!” Harry exploded in frustration slamming his fist on the table.

“Careful or the tea will spill,” Ginny warned him.

Once he had gotten a hold of himself he looked Ginny in the eyes, “Tell me what you think,” he begged.

It was obvious that she sensed his emotional turmoil; she kept wringing her hands under the table.

“What is that book Harry?”

“It’s the Marauders Memoirs,” Harry explained, “Lupin gave it to me.”

“I see,” she said, “Do you remember what my father said, about not trusting things if you can’t see where they keep their brain?”

“When did he say that?”

“The Riddle diary.”

“That’s right,” he said shaking his head, “This is not the same, it’s a collection of memories that Lupin thought I should have.”

“He wouldn’t have given it to me if it was dangerous,” Harry persisted.

“I know.”

A moment passed by in which both of them were lost in their own thoughts. Harry gave himself a mental kick. He should have realized that this would bring back the entire trauma she had lived through.

“They were definitely after her,” Ginny volunteered her opinion; “I suppose they killed your grandparents first.”

Harry hadn’t given any thought as to where his grandparents had been.

“They must have, why else would Aunt Petunia be screaming for them?”

Harry felt horrible. Had his aunt witnessed the murder of her parents? And the attempted murder of her sister? No wonder she hated magic. He would have too if he had been in her position. She had looked slightly younger than his age.

“Your mother was about my age,” she began to logic though, “What could they want with a teenage girl?”

“I don’t know.”

Ginny gave him a grim smile, “Of course we don’t exactly know what they wanted from an infant but that brought about his downfall didn’t it?”

“Only for a short while…”

“Lucky thing…your father showing up,” Ginny offered.

“He was going to her house for a tutoring session.”

“Oh.”

He took a sip of tea as Ginny asked, “Why three deatheaters?”

“What?”

“Why were there three deatheaters?” Ginny repeated holding her hands up, “Hear me out Harry. One deatheater should be enough to go into a house of muggles and…kill them. So why three?”

Harry had not considered that particular point. He supposed that it was further evidence that they were after something, or someone.

“Yes,” Ginny nodded to herself some more, “They were definitely after your mother…but why?”

Harry shrugged, “Where were the ministry wizards?”

“I noticed that as well,” Ginny looked surprised, “They should have made it long before any muggles showed up.”

Harry was perplexed, nothing about the whole scene they had witnessed added up.

“What happened to them after their parents died?” Ginny wondered aloud.

“Maybe they ended up in an orphanage,” Harry offered.

What had happened to them? Aunt Petunia discouraged any questions about the past, so he had no clue about her upbringing.

Ginny glimpsed at the Marauders Memoirs, “I’ll bet I know where we can find the answer.”

“Should we look?” Harry questioned.

“No,” Ginny told him as her eyes grew weary, “Tonight was more than enough.”

Harry silently agreed.

“What happened before this memory?” Ginny asked.

“I don’t know,” Harry admitted, “I was just flipping through.”

“There could be clues in the earlier memories,” Ginny advised him, “You should go through the memories one-by-one.”

“Right,” he replied as he ruffled his hair.

He was having a difficult time getting Aunt Petunia’s terrified face out of his mind. Seeing his mother laying deathly pale on ground shook him to his very core. He felt a strange pride in his father who had risked life and limb without a second thought. Ginny stood and walked behind him. She wrapped him up in her arms and settled her chin onto his forehead. He could not remember ever being coddled like that before.

“It’s ok,” came Ginny’s soothing voice, “Let it go…”

As her voice trailed off he found himself again staring at Mrs. Weasley’s clock. After several minutes, the arrow that read ‘Ron’ moved from traveling to school.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Harry could not understand why Ginny’s trunk weighed so much. He definitely could not comprehend how she had managed to bring it down the stairs of the Burrow all on her own when he could just barely make it up the few train steps with it.

“Harry! Let me help you with that,” Neville told him as he grabbed the other end of the trunk and they began heaving it to the nearest compartment.

“What do you have in their?” Neville asked.

“It’s Ginny.”

“Oh,” Neville replied as though that explained everything, “Girls.”

Harry privately agreed. He didn’t see the need for all the things that Ginny had packed but with the flutter of her eyelashes she conned him into helping her pack. He sorely regretted his gullibility now as he tripped on the final step before catching himself. As Neville slid the door of the compartment open with his foot Harry caught a glimpse of Luna.

“Hello…” Luna said in a dreamy voice that surprised Neville causing him to drop the trunk on his toes.

He jumped around the compartment howling in pain and tripped over Luna’s trunk.

“Sorry,” she told him as she helped him up, “I couldn’t find anyone to help me lift it overhead.”

After they had lifted Luna’s trunk into the overhead bin and given up all hopes of getting Ginny’s trunk into the adjacent bin they went back outside of the Hogwarts Express to collect their own possessions. Once all of their pets, trunks and other items had been securely stored, Harry and Neville joined Luna and Ginny outside of the train where they were discussing slimy sickle toads. Neville shot Harry a confused look as Luna enumerated the bizarre information her father had taught her about the supposed creatures.

“You can identify a slimy sickle toad from other toads by the slime it wears on its…Ron!”

Luna spotted Ron coming off the train well before the rest of them had. Harry and Neville stifled a laugh over her timing. Slimy sickle Ron had a rather nice ring to it. Ron strode over looking more confident than Harry could ever remember.

“How’re you all getting on?” he asked them in a very Percy-ish manner.

At that, Harry and Neville couldn’t help but to laugh aloud while Ron gave them a weird look. Before anyone could respond to his inquiry a rosy-cheeked Hermione walked out of the train and headed towards them.

“Hello,” Ron whispered to her.

She blushed profusely and refusing to meet his eyes cast her eyes down to the floor while wearing a buoyant smile. Harry looked over at Ginny and raised his eyebrows while titling his head towards the pair as if to ask ‘what have those two been up to?’ Ginny put a finger to her lips signaling that he should keep quiet and mind his business. In his jovial mood at being reunited with his friends and returning to school he thought that leaving them to their own accord was going to be impossible. Ginny sensed his reluctance and glowered at him. She received an impish smile and wink from him in response.

“Ginny!”

His good mood ended.

“Ginny, I’m over here!”

Dean Thomas. What was he doing here?

Dean descended from the train waving his hands stupidly at Ginny who was smiling over his goofiness.

Ron looked nervously over at Harry, “He got McGonagall’s approval to come back on the train with us somehow.”

Harry threw Dean a dirty look wondering what lie the git had concocted that would now deprive him of Ginny’s company for the train ride.

“Hello,” Dean said as he threw his arm casually over Ginny’s shoulders, “How is everyone?”

Along with Ron, Hermione was now shooting him worried glances. Even Neville seemed to sense something was amiss. Before Harry gave into the urge to hit Dean, Ginny took off with him to catch up with some of their friends. Harry was in a surly mood as he joined Ron in saying goodbye to Mrs. Weasley and the twins. Once they had filed into their compartments Ron and Hermione went about their duties as prefects. They had been traveling only a few minutes when shouts from outside his compartment where he sat sulking caught his attention.

Neville, Luna and Harry ran into the hallway to see what all the raucous was about. Malfoy was levitating a first year in some sort of celebration.

“ENOUGH!”

Tonks came storming through the corridor before Harry could unsheathe his wand. She managed to keep the kid from falling as the distracted Malfoy turned to see who had interrupted his fun.

“HOW DARE YOU!” she thundered down on Malfoy.

“Who’re you?” he muttered as she pointed her wand directly at his throat.

“The new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher,” Harry responded proudly.

“Look’s like she’s off to a brilliant start,” Neville taunted Malfoy.

Harry gave him an approving look as Tonks began leading Malfoy away.

“Before I forget, Potter!” Malfoy tossed a copy of the Daily Prophet into Harry’s hands, “Bit of light reading.”

As the cocky Malfoy turned his attitude and resentment towards Tonks, Harry looked down at the headline:

Pandemonium Follows Mass Azkaban Escape
Care of Magical Creatures by Wise Owl
The persistent thudding in his head was getting stronger with every bump the threstrals maneuvered them over. He sat stone-faced in the rickety wagon with Neville and Luna eyeing him apprehensively. Draco’s gleeful face floated in the inner recesses of his mind. The cabin stopped abruptly signaling their arrival to Hogwarts. Harry swiftly jumped to the ground and was swept into the Great Hall with the throngs of excited students. He sat at the very end of the Gryffindor table far away from the raised podium where Dumbledore and the other professors sat. As the hall filled up he spotted Ron and Hermione looking around presumably for him and sunk lower into his chair. The last thing he needed to hear now was the well-intentioned yet useless conjecture of his friends.

Once everyone was seated and the apprehensive first years ushered in, the sorting hat was brought out. Everyone expectantly stared at it when its brim opened up to sing:

Oh you may think I’m ancient, you may think I’m old
Wrinkled, barren of knowledge, worn and torn
But truly is mine, the ancient decide
Of the four noble houses you’ll form

Gryffindor, brave and true
Lived for daring, I warn you
Valued the fearless valiant
Over those who forebode

Ravenclaw, wit and smarts
Cherished shrewdness through and through
Held the brainy scholar
In highest rank and honor

Hufflepuff, gentle and kind
Benevolent, tranquil, benign
Treasured as companions
Those peaceful and wise

Slytherin, slippery snake
Strove to impose the supremacy strain
Solicited only stalwart supporters
Seldom sought a sundry affair

In these houses, I will sort
Though I wish, it were not so
The job created for
I will perform

Tread careful, for I decide
Your abode, forevermore
Unless! You unite
Hogwarts! I implore

Lest you be lost!
Splintered, shattered, forlorn
Hogwarts!
Come together once more!

As soon as it began it was over. Never had the sorting hat sung such a short song. Harry smiled in amusement at everyone’s stunned faces. Last year the sorting hat had given them a warning, albeit not quite so dire, yet it seemed that most students had forgotten it. Now the sorting hat didn’t even want to do the job it was created to do! Could Harry come together with the Slytherin’s? That was highly unlikely. Irregardless of the advice the sorting hat gave, he fully intended to separate from those 'slippery snakes'.

When “Anvil, Terrance” took a seat on the stool Harry’s mind began to wonder. He took himself out of his ominous mentality and concentrated on formulating a plan. Voldemort was now positioning his pieces: deatheaters, dementors and giants. Harry cursed; he really shouldn’t have ducked out on Ron and Hermione. He needed Ron’s chess abilities or Hermione’s cleverness now. He unfurled the paper that Draco had hurled at him earlier and read:

Pandemonium Follows Mass Azkaban Escape


Riots broke out in front of the Ministry of Magic when the Daily Prophet broke news of the escape of no less than five of you-know-who’s biggest supporters. “With the departure of the dementors it was really only a matter of time,” an unnamed source at the Ministry revealed. Apparently all that was left to bind the prisoners once the dementors were gone was a bit of ancient magic. Ministry guards, though present, were derelict in their duties allowing an imprisoned deatheater to acquire a wand, an unnamed guard divulged, “Once he stole the wand that was it.”

Using the stolen wand the deatheater was able to secure other wands for his fellow inmates by means of the expelliaramous charm. Thereupon a battle between the guards and prisoners ensued in which two ministry guards were brutally murdered through the use of unforgivable curses. Their murderers were among those who escaped. Aurors arrived on the scene in time to subdue the remaining prisoners but several deatheaters could not be accounted for. “We are doing our best to bring these criminals back to justice,” a Ministry spokesperson said when asked to comment about the whereabouts of the deatheaters.

Still, the Ministry’s reluctance in revealing the identities of the escaped prisoners is alarming. “The public has a right to know,” Paddy Dadcock of number 3 Flushing Meadows insists, “How are we to trust the Ministry?” Indeed, how can the ministry be trusted when they refuse to disclose information needed to ensure public safety? Perhaps now that the new Minister of Magic has been sworn in (earlier this morning) we will get answers from the Ministry in these perplexing times.

Harry felt the panic within him rise as thoughts of the terror the escaped deatheaters could reap flourished in his too active imagination but fought against it. Gryffindors were not those who 'forebode' as the sorting hat had reminded him only minutes earlier. He sat pondering over every half-baked plan that came to him, each more ludicrous than the last. As those around him began to applaud more heartily Harry refocused his attention to Dumbledore who was now directing Filch to take the sorting hat away. He let his eyes trail across the teachers as they politely applauded along with the students.

The hairs on the back of his neck rose as his eyes settled on Snape. No one would be happier about Sirius’ death than Severus Snape. They had been sworn enemies forced to work for the same team. It was undoubtedly Snape’s taunts that had pushed Sirius into disobeying Dumbledore and leaving Grimmauld Place the night he was killed. His eyes stung as he stared unblinkingly at Snape. A surge of hatred washed over him. Somehow, Snape would pay. For his own sanity, Harry moved his eyes off of Snape and they fell onto Tonks. Her eyes lit up when the food appeared on the table and she turned to speak to Charlie.

Charlie? Harry rubbed his eyes to ensure that they were not playing tricks on him. When he checked again Charlie and Tonks were laughing while heaping loads of food onto their plates. Why was Charlie sitting at the head table? As he quickly scanned the teachers he realized something was wrong. Where was Hagrid? His head began to spin again as his confusion grew. He once again kicked himself for ducking out on his friends. Ron would know what was going on.

He leapt into the air, startled, when a hand rested upon his shoulder.

“Ginny you scared me half to death!”

“Sorry,” she grinned abashedly. “You look lost,” she commented as she summoned a chair to join him.

“I was just…confused,” Harry responded looking desolate.

“What’s on your mind?” she ventured hesitantly.

Halfway through his explanation about ducking out on Ron, Harry realized that Ginny was also a Weasley and smacked himself on the forehead.

“Right,” Harry collected his thoughts, “What’s Charlie doing here?”

Ginny smiled patiently, “Taking over Care of Magical Creatures for a bit.”

“Why?” he asked, “Where’s Hagrid?”

As she leaned in close to answer his questions he held his breath determined not to become a silly git over her perfume yet again.

“Hagrid’s on a mission for the order,” she whispered looking around before continuing, “Grubby-Plank retired and Dumbledore needed a semi-permanent replacement in case Hagrid decides not to come back.”

“WHAT!”

“Shhhhhh!” she chastised him as she smiled at the faces that were looking at them due to Harry’s outburst, “Keep it down!”

“What does that mean semi-permanent?” Harry hissed back at her.

“Well,” she looked a bit stand-offish, “In case Hagrid doesn’t return.”

“WHA…!!!”

With his second exclamation Ginny stuffed a turnip in his mouth and continued in the barest whisper, “If Hagrid manages to do the task Dumbledore’s assigned him, he will be much too busy to be bothered with teaching.”

“What task?” Harry whispered insistently while extracting the turnip from his mouth.

“Well, from my understanding,” Ginny pulled a set of extendable ears from her pocket and waved them with a meaningful look, “Hagrid and someone named Grawp have been sent after the Giants that haven’t joined you-know-who.”

“But what can they…?”

“They,” she cut in meaningfully, “Received word that the remaining giants have formed into a clan and are ready to be mobilized against their old oppressors.”

At Harry’s blank stare she clarified, “The big giants!”

“Shhhh!” it was now Harry’s turn to reprimand her, “That doesn’t explain the semi-permanent part.”

She looked cautiously around and leaned even closer, “If it all pans out, Hagrid will lead the giants in the war against you-know-who.”

Harry considered this thoughtfully, “Are Voldemort’s giants on the move?”

She looked as ominous as he felt, “That would be my guess.”

Harry took a moment to digest the information she had given him. He highly doubted that Ginny had gathered this info via the extendable ears which he had been utilizing to no great benefit but knew asking her how she had managed it would be pointless. She would tell him once she was ready. For now there were giants and rogue deatheaters to occupy his mind.

“Best to get some food before it’s all gone,” Ginny said as she began piling food on their respective plates.

He smiled. If he told her how much she reminded him of Mrs. Weasley in that instant she’d probably slug him, so he just smiled. He took a long whiff of her perfume and cast thoughts of Voldemort and his cronies aside. Ginny sat just as sassy and bossy as can be joking with her friends who had been saving the seat Harry had taken, for none other than Ginny. Comparing his hair to a mop sent her into a fit of laughter. He would have defended himself, or at least combed his hair if she hadn’t messed it up further with her hands.

Feeling her fingers running through his hair caused a pang in his heart. He was longing to be more than just her friend. He was so weak around her. Every time he swore that his stolen moments with Ginny were over, he’d steal some more. Here he was, again, sitting by her side and basking in her glow. He didn’t have the heart to laugh at her silly jokes. His heart was too busy wrenching over the thought of excluding Ginny from his life. Just one more night, he promised himself, one more night. Ginny cast him as peculiar glance as if she felt the turbulent emotions running through him in that moment.

“Hello, love!”

Not Dean, Harry prayed, not now.

But as he opened his eyes Dean came into focus. He didn’t want to see Dean hold Ginny or sit with Ginny or joke with Ginny. He didn’t want Dean with Ginny! Ginny was not looking at Dean however, she was looking dazedly at Harry. All at once she snapped her head up, jumped from her chair and strode away from a stunned Dean and a satisfied Harry.

“Having problems in the love department?” Harry innocently asked Dean before pulling a Ginny and marching away to join Ron and Hermione. Dean looking sorely put out as he stood gaping at Ginny’s back. Let him fret, Harry thought maliciously.

Stupid git.
Volcency by Wise Owl
The owls circled overhead as they searched for their owners to deliver their letters. Hedwig settled in front of Harry and gave an affectionate nib on his hand. She did not have any mail to deliver but he was grateful to see her nevertheless. After he had feed her all the toast off his plate she took off.

“Well I suppose no news is good new,” Hermione pronounced somewhat grimly as she took the seat next to him while simultaneously scanning the Daily Prophet.

“Any news about the escaped deatheaters?” Harry asked.

“Nothing new,” Hermione verified scrutinizing the food in front of her distastefully.

“Really, who could eat at a time like this?” she huffed.

Just than Ron took a seat opposite them hands overflowing with candies and mouth stuffed to the brink. In a crude sort of way he held out the candies in offering and they both quickly declined to take any.

“Fanks Ermyone,” Ron said enthusiastically.

“For what?”

“Da candies,” he responded smiling in a goofy sort of way.

“Umm, Ron,” Hermione said tentatively, “Those aren’t from me.”

Ron stopped chewing all at once; Harry wished he hadn’t because he looked rather awkward with his cheeks puffed out.

“Who’dit fom den?” Ron asked spitting part of the candy out of Hermione.

Harry scanned the hall for anyone watching them and caught Luna shyly eyeing Ron. He grinned; it looked as though Ron had a secret admirer. Before he could answer, Professor McGonagall came around to pass out their schedules.

“Defense Against the Dark Art’s first!” Harry said excitedly.

“Wid da Slydrens,” Ron pointed out gloomily.

“Well at least we’ll be there for moral support,” Hermione told them.

“Morel sport?”

Hermione rolled her eyes, “Consider swallowing?”

It took Ron a moment to finish chewing the candy. Once he swallowed he repeated, “Moral support?”

“For Tonks,” Hermione responded.

“That’s right!” Harry slapped himself on the head.

“We’d better get moving,” Hermione said as she gathered her books into her bag.

Harry scanned the rest of his schedule as they walked to the dungeons, “I wonder why Tonks picked this as her classroom?”

Ron and Hermione both shrugged looking indifferently about.

“Maybe she’s got a sadistic streak like Snape,” Ron ventured.

“Ouch!” Ron bellowed as Hermione elbowed him in the gut but Harry was sure that Tonks had heard the mean comment as she walked into the dungeon.

“How about showing a bit of moral support?” Hermione murmured under her breath.

“Sorry,” Ron said placing Harry between them as a buffer.

Draco and his cronies strolled in as though they had all the time in the world.

“Wonder who the old coot’s dug up for us now?” Draco jeered to the bobbing heads of Crabbe and Goyle.

Harry was kept from responding by Hermione’s warning frown.

“Take your seats!” the command was issued from the front of the dungeon and everyone settled down.

“I’d rather you not call me Professor, Tonks will do just fine.”

Harry looked around to see everyone’s first impressions but their eyes were still fixed firmly on Tonks. She seemed more serious than he could ever remember and wondered if Ron’s comment had played any part in that.

“I’ve spoken with Professor Snape and quite agree with him, you are sorely behind in some areas,” Harry could see that she had scored some points with the Slytherin’s but felt taken aback by her reference to Snape.

“It seems the only competent teacher you’ve had was Professor Lupin,” and with that statement she regained his loyalty once more.

“This year we will be studying…” but before they could find out what they would be studying the door of the dungeon swung open and Ginny Weasley walked in.

Harry thought that she was delivering a note of some sort until she took the seat next to Hermione and said, “Sorry I’m late!”

“No problem,” Tonks shone a smile in her direction, “Just got your new schedule I suppose?”

Ginny nodded adamantly as Draco shot her a loathing look and whispered something to his fellow Slytherin’s that had them snorting with laughter.

“Quiet!” Tonks commanded once more and everyone in the room fell silent.

“As I was saying,” she perused the class with her eyes daring anyone to interrupt, “We will be studying Volcency.”

The air was alive with their interest and they all leaned in to hear.

“Who knows what Volcency is?”

Not a single hand shot into the air. Harry looked around to Hermione who was wearing a look of rapt attention.

“Surely someone knows?”

Ginny timidly put her hand in the air and Tonks shot her another glowing look, “Yes Ginny?”

“Volcency is the ability to listen to the thoughts from another person’s mind.”

“Take ten points for Gryffindor,” Tonks shouted slapping her hands excitedly together.

“Wait a minute!” Draco shot his hand into the air but did not wait for Tonks to call on him before continuing, “You mean we’re going to learn how to read each others minds?”

“There is no such thing as reading someone’s mind,” Tonks clarified, “You’re going to learn to listen.”

Every student was riveted by the concept and kept their eyes fixed on Tonks.

“Most people have some form of minor Volcency, including muggles,” she lectured, “It’s what’s commonly referred to as reading between the lines in the muggle world. Their ability is so miniscule, however, that they fail to recognize it as Volcency and attribute their heightened perceptions to body language and sub-conscious indicators.”

Harry raised his hand and asked, “Is it like Legilimency?”

Tonks looked dually surprised by his input, “No Harry, Legilimency is the ability to extract feelings and memories whereas Volcency enables you to hear the thoughts in someone else’s mind as they are happening. With Legilimency you can dig up things hidden in the deep recesses of ones mind.”

“Cool!” Seamus broke in, “Can we learn that?”

“I’m afraid that’s terribly advanced magic for even the most trained wizard,” Tonks eyed him in amusement, “So no, we will not be studying that.”

Hermione’s hand shot up and Harry thought that it was about time that she got involved in the discussion, “Because it serves a great purpose Hermione,” Tonks responded to Hermione’s unasked question.

Wide-eyed Hermione dropped her arm back to her side. The class stared in amazement at Tonks.

“Any idea what that purpose might be Hermione?” Tonks inquired.

Hermione took a moment to mull it over in her head before her eyes lit up and she answered, “When you are about to come under attack…you would be warned and could counteract before your attacker speaks.”

“Which is why non-verbal spells are imperative but we will get to that later! Five more points for Gryffindor.”

Draco’s arm shot up once more and once again his question was out before Tonks could call on him, “Isn’t there a way to fight it?”

“Occlumency.”

“What’s that?” Dean yelled out, the class had become a controlled free-for-all.

“The branch of magic that seals your mind against magical intrusion and influence,” Harry responded bitterly recalling his lessons with Snape, “But I thought that was to fight off Legilimency?”

“Like you said Harry, it is to seal off your mind against any magical intrusion,” Tonks emphasized.

She softened her look as she correctly interpreted his reservations, “A level one Legilimus and Volcen should be easy for a level one Occlumous to fight off,” she reassured him.

He was sure that Snape was no level one and that he had purposefully been obstinate in their lessons. Harry despised the tedious sessions he had been forced to endure with Snape and felt that Tonks would be a superior trainer. Perhaps he would finally nail Occlumency down this year, he thought as he scratched the back of his head.

“That’s the spirit Harry!”

Her response and the laughter of his fellow students alerted him that he had been her latest pawn.

“Everyone into pairs,” Tonks ordered, “Ginny please join me up front.”

They all rushed to do as they were bidden. Even the Slytherin’s were whole-heartedly participating.

“Decide who will be doing the Volcency and Occlumency in your team,” Tonks instructed.

Harry gave into Ron’s begging and let him be the first to try Volcency.

“Whoever is doing Occlumency, turn away from your partner!”

With great reluctance Harry and the rest of the Occlumous’ turned away from the Volcen’s.

“Now watch Ginny, as she clears her mind and listens intently allowing my thoughts to come to her.”

Ginny looked startled by all the attention but did as she was ordered. A dazed look came across her face and her eyes lost all their focus.

“In her current state she is highly vulnerable to attack,” Tonks pointed out, “As the Occlumous I must clear my mind and focus on repelling any invasion.”

As a look of calm crossed Tonks’ face Ginny came to. Harry applauded with the rest of the class but noticed the perplexing look Tonks shot Ginny. He could intuitively tell that all was not as it seemed.

“Your turns,” Tonks yelled out and let them have a go.

Several minutes later Harry was easily resisting all of Ron’s endeavors to get into his mind. Every time Ron attempted Volcency on him, Harry felt the need to scratch the back of his head. He quickly realized that the itch was caused by Ron and did Occlumency instead of scratching his head. The decline of his need to scratch his head signaled his success in fighting off Ron’s attempts.

Tonks verified the existence of these ‘indicators’ as she told them to switch. Ron, as it turned out, sneezed every time Harry attempted Volcency on him. Poor Neville had it the worst in Harry’s estimation, he got nosebleeds. Amusingly, Draco kept tripping over his own feet every time Pansy tried to get into his mind. All too soon the lesson was over and they left the dungeon in great spirits.

“How come you were in our class today?” Harry finally got the chance to ask Ginny.

“Been moved up,” Ginny responded in an oddly distant way as she walked alone to her next class.

“Guess my sisters a bit of a genius,” Ron surmised winking at Hermione.

Hermione did not seem to take the idea of Ginny being moved up too well and stormed off to Advanced Charms ahead of them dropping something as she went. Harry bent down to pick up the kiwi lip gloss she had left behind and turned jovially towards Ron commenting, “I was wondering why kiwi’s were on your mind.”

He had never seen Ron turn scarlet before but found it highly entertaining as he wondered what exactly had gone on between Ron and Hermione while they had been studying apparition.



The rest of their lessons that week went by without incident. In charms they had a practical lesson bewitching pots and pans into making a meal for them. Transfiguration was as difficult as they had anticipated. They were now learning to turn animals into inanimate objects and back again. Seamus lit his rooster’s tail on fire and it chased him around the class pecking at his heels to everyone’s comic relief. Potions felt strangely empty. Most people had opted out of taking it, or had not scored a high enough grade to get in. This gave Snape the pleasure of focusing all his unpleasantness directly towards Harry much to Draco’s delight.

Neville shone in Herbology and was congratulated on his outstanding OWL by Professor Sprout in front of the entire class. In Care of Magical Creatures, Charlie brought in a Demiguise. By all means it looked to be an ordinary silver haired ape, that is, until Draco agitated it. Thereupon it became invisible and carried Draco up a tall tree in the forbidden forest and left him there. Harry found he was rather fond of the creature. Once Draco had been rescued, Charlie lectured them about Demiguise pelts. Apparently they were spun to make invisibility cloaks.

As the weekend settled upon them Harry was called aside by Professor McGonagall who congratulated him on his new position as quidditch captain. No one was surprised by the news and they were all very supportive. His first week back at school had gone off without a hitch, Harry was glad to say. Except for Ginny, she had been ignoring everyone for days. Now that he was captain she would be forced to seek him out. Yes, everything was going along quite smoothly.
Snape’s Slytherin Soldiers by Wise Owl
Two weeks into term and Harry still had not found any decent beaters for the Gryffindor quidditch team. Katie Bell and Alicia Spinnet agreed to stay on as his chasers and were thrilled with the addition of Ginny as third chaser. Ron, of course, was kept on as keeper after the spectacular performance he had pulled off the previous year. Only the beaters were proving difficult to find. Harry made his way through the portrait hole after yet another lousy try-out session and found Ron and Hermione sitting in front of the fireplace.

“You really should be at try-outs,” he told Ron by way of greeting.

“Right,” Ron yawned widely, “To watch every loser and misfit Gryffindor has to offer, no thanks!”

Harry sat on the floor and leaned his back against the hearth.

“There’s bound to be two decent beaters in this house,” Harry said hopefully.

“Well if there are,” Ron responded, “It’s your job to find them…not mine!”

“Gee, thanks for all the support,” Harry retorted sourly.

“Was Ginny at try-outs?” Hermione asked nervously.

“No,” Harry answered giving her a shrewd look, “Don’t tell me you two are having a spat.”

Ron laughed uproariously at that. “Hermione’s just been trying to figure out why Ginny’s been moved up, bit green with envy if you ask me.”

“No one asked you!” Hermione pouted looking sorely put out.

“Hermione, what’s with you?” Harry queried in all seriousness.

A thoughtful look crossed her features as she studied his face closely. Finally, she moved from the comfy chair and sat next to Harry on the floor. She looked guardedly around while signaling Ron to join them. He took his time doing so rolling his eyes more than once in Hermione’s direction. Harry didn’t think she took notice of Ron’s flippant attitude as she was too busy concentrating on collecting her thoughts.

“Out with it!” Ron ordered.

If looks could kill, Harry thought, the one she shot him should have done severe damage.

“There are…peculiar things going on around here, don’t you think?” she asked Harry.

Harry was quite familiar with the look she wore and sat up to pay closer attention. He was sure she had insight that both he and Ron neglected to notice.

Ron looked highly skeptical, “What kind of ‘peculiar things’” he asked in a condescending voice.

After flashing him an angry look Hermione continued, “Peculiar things…with Ginny.”

“Hogwash,” Ron also looked as though he was starting to get angry, “All this rubbish over Ginny just because you’re…”

“Silencio!”

“Hermione!” Harry yelled startled, “You shouldn’t be using spells on Ron!”

“He deserved it,” she screeched back.

All the bellowing was causing curious looks to be thrown their way.

“Alright,” Harry whispered determined to get the situation under control, “Take the spell off and just tell us what you’ve noticed.”

She grudgingly took the spell off Ron who was so mad he refused to speak to her.

“Ginny,” she threw a warning look towards Ron, “Has been missing a lot lately. She’s not at try-outs, she’s not in the common room, and she’s not in the Great Hall…”

“Maybe she’s with Dean,” Harry swallowed convulsively trying to keep the bile in his throat from rising at the thought.

“She’s not,” Hermione shook her head adamantly, “They hardly see each other.”

Harry couldn’t help but to feel gleeful on that account, “So what do you want us to do, spy on her?” he asked.

Hermione looked rather guilty, “You’ve been spying on her,” Ron whispered incredulously, forgetting his promise not to speak to her.

She gave a jerky nod of her head.

“Of all the lousy things…” Ron began but stopped short when he noticed Hermione waving her wand menacingly.

“What did you find?” Harry asked against his better judgment.

“She’s spent every evening this week with Tonks,” Hermione revealed, “I suspect she did so last week as well.”

“What’s wrong with that?” Ron inquired, “Maybe she’s taking extra lessons.”

“That’s just it!” Hermione exclaimed, “Why was Ginny moved up? Why is she always with Tonks? Where is she going when she’s supposed to be at try-outs? Why is she suddenly so subdued? Why is Charlie here? Not the reason they are giving,” Hermione quickly raised her hands before either of her friends could speak, “…the real reason. Anyone could have taught Care of Magical Creatures, why Charlie?”

“Are you done ranting?” Ron asked.

Before Ron and Hermione had another row, Harry broke in and pointed to Ginny entering the portrait hole. They didn’t have to call her over; she came straight to them as though summoned by a summoning charm.

“We need to talk,” she said solemnly.

Ron and Harry looked at each other in surprise while a satisfied Hermione gave them an ‘I told you so’ look.

“Go on,” Ron told her somberly.

“Not here,” Ginny responded, “Meet me in Hagrid’s cabin in five minutes.”

After giving them the instruction she turned to go into the girls dormitories. Halfway to her destination she turned swiftly and said, “Would you care to join me, Hermione?”

Hermione wore a startled look on her face eyeing Ginny warily before getting up to join her.

“What was that about?” Ron asked Harry once the girls had departed.

Harry shrugged. He didn’t know, but he was sure going to find out.



Fifteen minutes later the boys sat in Hagrid’s cabin clumsily attempting to make tea when the girls strolled in.

“About time,” Ron rebuked them for their tardiness.

Hermione and Ginny exchange a smug look as the water boiled over onto Ron’s hand and he got a mild burn. Harry observed that they were getting along much better now. He didn’t like feeling that he was out of the loop and was grateful that Ron was just as ignorant as he was. With a flick of her wand Hermione cleared the mess that Ron created. Ginny soon had a hot pot of tea brewing over the stove. Meanwhile, Harry and Ron settled themselves onto the hard chairs of the kitchen table and waited impatiently. Harry took a moment to go over the questions that Hermione had unwittingly provided for his arsenal, he was going to get to the bottom Ginny’s bizarre behavior once and for all.

Finally the girls joined them, Ginny pouring the tea and Hermione dishing up the rock-hard scones she had scrounged up.

“I’ve just been to see Mafalda…” Ginny said without preamble.

“How nice for you,” Ron replied nonchalantly.

“…the Slytherin’s have started a secret organization,” she continued as though she had not been interrupted.

“What?” Harry bolted straight up into his chair.

“Snape’s Slytherin Soldiers,” Ginny pronounced grimly.

“What…” Ron began, but Ginny cut him off.

“They’re studying the dark arts…Snape’s teaching them.”

Harry was stunned. He noticed that Ron sat with his mouth gaping open.

“This means,” Ginny ignored their response, “…that Dumbledore’s Army must be reformed as soon as possible. Tonks and Charlie have agreed to teach the DA in order to counteract the sss...”

Harry cleared his ears out, he was sure that he had just heard Ginny hiss. Hermione, however, smiled knowingly at him.

“Clever, don’t you think? The initials of their club form a hissing sound. You get the snake reference?”

“Right,” Ron responded sitting back into his chair, “This is bad.”

“How will we know what they’re learning?” Harry asked.

“Mafalda,” Ginny answered promptly, “She’s been recruited by Snape to join the club and has agreed. She’s our mole. They have no clue about her relationship to my family or that she is a half-blood.”

Ron whistled, “That’s brilliant.”

“And she’s consented?” Harry asked.

“Yes.”

“It’s not too dangerous?” Ron shifted out of shock and into the intellectual conversation taking place around him.

“If there is any fear that she’s in danger we’ll just have to go in after her,” Hermione said steadfastly.

Ron looked at her with growing respect in his eyes. “Maybe we could find a way to communicate with her without being found out.”

Hermione blinked several times and studiously eyed the scone in her hands, “We could do that.”

Harry didn’t have time for the cutesy games his friends had taken to playing. He turned to Ginny and asked the most important yet still unanswered question, “Why were you moved into our class.”

Hermione cleared her throat rather loudly as Ginny busied herself collecting their untouched cups of tea and the scones that lay forgotten.

“Well,” Hermione began unceremoniously, “Some people are born with…natural abilities.”

“For example,” Ginny cut in, “Your ability to speak parseltounge,” she nodded to Harry.

“Or Tonks’ being a metamorphous,” Hermione added.

“So?” Harry asked perplexed.

“Do you know what a Volcen is?” Hermione asked.

“Someone who can hear another person’s thoughts…”

“No, not what we do in class.” Hermione shook her head, “Do you know what a real Volcen is?”

A blank look crossed Harry’s face but he was saved by Ron jumping in.

“There hasn’t been a real Volcen in centuries.”

“But do you know what a real Volcen is?” Hermione repeated.

Harry thought the conversation was getting rather tedious but an exasperated Ron answered Hermione’s question.

“There’s never been a male Volcen; very rarely a female Volcen is born. There haven’t been any for centuries, though. Supposedly a real Volcen can hear people’s thoughts without trying. They can make suggestions in people’s minds without using the imperius curse. People don’t know that they’re not acting through their own free will…”

“How do you know all this?” a startled Harry asked his not so studious best friend.

“Dad used to tell us stories about Voltara the Volcen when we were little,” Ron nodded to Ginny to indicate that they had both heard these stories. “He’s a bit loony, mind. Seemed to think a new Volcen was due any day now. Than again the man likes spark plugs so there you are,” he shrugged it off.

“I can’t imagine having that much power,” Harry said in amazement.

“That’s not even the coolest part,” Ron bound up and leapt at Harry, “A real Volcen can vessel-voyage!”

“What’s that?” Harry asked.

“It means they can travel into other people’s bodies…even if the person’s across the world!”

“How do they do that?” Harry wondered in astonishment.

“A real Volcen can move their soul out of their body!” Ron shouted the last and most remarkable kernel of knowledge that he had to offer on the topic.

Harry considered all that Ron revealed. Somewhat like a real Volcen, he could at times hear, feel, and see what Voldemort was doing.

“They can’t feel,” Ginny said.

“Pardon,” Harry replied.

“Well,” Ron began…

“They can’t feel,” Ginny reiterated.

“Who can’t?” Harry asked.

“Can’t what? Feeling alright Harry?” Ron chirped in, but Harry ignored him.

“Volcen’s,” she answered.

“Sorry, I don’t understand what you mean,” he shrugged his shoulders helplessly.

Hermione and Ron gave him a queer look.

Ginny turned to face him, “Talking to your self Harry?”

He heard her voice, he knew he did, but her lips had not moved. The alarms and warning bells went off in his head. Something was not right. He was cracking up. He had to be.

As though putting two and two together Hermione lit up and chastised Ginny, “Don’t do that!”

“What’s the matter with all of you?” Ron shouted in exasperation. “Tell me what’s going on!” he demanded when no one responded.

Harry took pity on his friend and whispered his suspicion while keeping his eyes firmly fixed on Ginny, “You sister is a Volcen.”
Voltara by Wise Owl
“Bonkers!” Ron exclaimed, in complete rejection of Harry’s revelation.

“What other explanation can there be?” Harry appealed to Ron’s sense of logic.

“You’ve gone mad,” he replied in sheer amusement, “Lost you mind!”

“Excuse me,” Hermione attempted to interject.

“So they’ve dragged us down here for a lesson on Volcency, is that it?” Harry bit back.

“If you’ll just let me…” Hermione endeavored once more.

“You just listen to everything Hermione says,” Ron accused. “She’s poisoned your mind against Ginny because she’s jealous that Ginny’s been moved up and she hasn’t,” he bellowed, adequately shutting Hermione up.

“Takes one to know one,” Harry retorted scathingly.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Ron said in a menacing tone.

“You’ve spent your whole life jealous of those around you!” Harry charged.

Ron turned an alarming shade of purple before violently thrashing out of Hagrid’s cabin and making a rude hand gesture at Harry. They all sat in silence following his abrupt departure. Finally, Hermione spoke up.

“You shouldn’t have done that Harry.”

It was the wrong thing to say and the wrong time to say it. He felt the hackles rise along the back of his neck as he turned towards her, preparing to exchange blows with yet another of his so-called best friends.

“I can’t believe you, of all people, are standing up for that git!”

Before Hermione could conjure up a response Ginny said, “You go after Ron and I’ll handle this one.”

Hermione seemed torn; in the end she shot Harry a heartrending look and hurried out of the hut in search of Ron. Meanwhile, Harry and Ginny sat for what seemed to be an eternity before either of them spoke.

“He’s worried I’ll be killed,” Ginny said.

Startled, Harry wasn’t sure how to respond. Why should Ron be afraid of Ginny being killed? Being a Volcen meant she was always one step ahead of the rest…didn’t it?

“Voldemort massacred all the Volcen’s,” she continued.

“But Ron said there hasn’t been a Volcen in centuries,” Harry argued.

“It’s a common misconception,” Ginny told him. “Even in the wizarding community, Volcen’s have always been persecuted. You can understand why a Volcen wouldn’t announce their arrival into the world. The kindest of people would fear and stay away from them. The rest would either attempt to use them or kill them.”

Harry understood why a Volcen would be an object of fear. That much power, in the wrong hands, would be catastrophic.

“So Voldemort killed them when they wouldn’t join him,” Harry guessed.

“No,” Ginny said woefully, “He simply didn’t want anyone alive that could potentially challenge him.”

“A Volcen would know everything in his mind,” Harry ventured.

This time he was right and Ginny nodded grimly.

“But wouldn’t they know he was after them?” Harry asked, convinced that a real Volcen would be invincible from a surprise attack.

“There were three Volcen’s that were well-known, all from pure-blood families. Two of them were persuaded by their families that the safest thing to do was to join Voldemort. When they went to offer their services to him,” Ginny made a motion with her finger to signify a silt throat, “He murdered them.”

“Didn’t they know he was going to kill them?” Harry asked.

“I’m afraid not,” Ginny said solemnly, “A Volcen can only hear what’s going on in your mind in the moment. Voldemort already had plans to kill them in the works, so when they appeared before him, all he had to do was act.”

Harry let out a low whistle in surprise, then asked, “What happened to the third Volcen?”

“Voltara,” Ginny said gloomily.

“The one your father told you stories about?” Harry asked. Ginny nodded, looking paler than ever.

“She was nice,” Ginny told him, “She taught me a lot when I was little. She was my only friend for many years.”

Harry was reeling from shock. “How did you meet her?”

“She often came to visit me. I thought I dreamt her up for the longest time, that my fathers’ bedtime stories were affecting my dreams. Then one day, my father took me to the ministry. She was waiting in his office to meet me. We went to Fortescue’s for some ice cream and that’s where she told me I was a Volcen.”

“How old were you?” Harry interrupted.

“Seven,” Ginny smiled at the stunned look Harry wore.

“How old was she?” Harry asked.

“I’m not so sure,” Ginny considered the matter, “All I know is that she was in Dumbledore’s year when they attended Hogwarts.”

Harry’s eye widened at that news. He had never heard of anyone that had gone to school with Dumbledore.


“Voltara wasn’t her real name,” Ginny continued as though he had not interrupted, “That’s just the title reserved for the eldest Volcen.”

“What was her real name?” Harry cut in, enthralled by the tale Ginny was telling.

“Evalene Hufflepuff,” Ginny grinned, “I’ll bet you can’t guess what house she was in?”

“Hufflepuff,” Harry responded in astonishment. Ginny took that to be his answer and slowly clapped her hands.

“Just marvelous,” she teased, “I don’t know how you got so brilliant, Potter.”

“I’m just amazed that a seven-year-old could retain all this information,” Harry whispered in awe.

“I wasn’t seven when I learned this information,” Ginny confessed.

“How old were you?”

“Fifteen,” Ginny responded desolately.

“But that’s…now!” Harry did the math quickly in his mind.

“Well done,” she said sarcastically.

“So Voltara is still teaching you? How is she teaching you?” he looked around as though expecting Voltara to jump out at them.

“Voltara can’t teach anyone now.”

Harry saw the pain in Ginny’s eyes and asked the question that he already knew the answer to, “What happened to her?”

“The eldest Volcen teaches the rest of the Volcen’s how to harness their powers,” Ginny began lecturing once more, “She is the only one that knows when a new Volcen has been born. So as you may have already guessed, she is the only one that knows how many Volcen’s there are and who they are.”

Harry nodded in affirmation, although he had not made that connection.

“So,” Ginny continued, “Voldemort tracked her down to a muggle village where she had gone into hiding.”

Harry felt a queasy knot forming in his stomach; he could guess where the story was headed.

“He tortured her until he got the names of all the Volcen’s.”

“Then he killed her,” Harry speculated.

Ginny have him a bemused look, “How would she have been able to teach me if he had killed her? Really, Harry, you have to keep up.”

Harry felt ashamed for having gotten ahead of himself. “So what happened to her?”

“She escaped him,” Ginny continued, “My understanding is that her body is hidden in a muggle insane asylum.”

“What do you mean ‘her body’?” Harry asked.

“Well,” Ginny began, “As Ron told you, Volcen’s can vessel voyage…”

“…travel into other people’s bodies,” Harry supplied to show that he had indeed been paying attention.

“That’s right,” Ginny smiled in approval. “The way to do that is to move your soul out of your body,” Ginny explained.

“Can your body survive without a soul?” Harry couldn’t help but ask.

“It’s like someone whose experienced the dementors kiss,” Ginny clarified, “Your body continues to function, there’s just no sense of self…you’re lower than an animal.”

“But a Volcen can go back into their body?”

“Yes, they can,” Ginny looked dismayed beyond belief as tears stung her eyes, “If you stay out of your body for too long however, you may be lost.”

“What does that mean?” Harry asked as he handed her one of Hagrid’s oversized handkerchiefs.

“If you keep vessel-voyaging, you began to lose your identity. You may even forget who you are. You’re too deeply connected to your vessel to remember where you come from.”

“Is that what happened to Voltara?” Harry wondered aloud.

“I’m not sure,” Ginny confided in Harry, “She’s been out of her body at least twenty years.”

The numbers were simply not adding up in Harry’s mind. Finally, he pointed this out, “Didn’t you say you met her when you were seven-years-old?”

Ginny nodded but said nothing in response so Harry pressed on.

“How can that be if she didn’t have a body?”

Ginny continued to sit in silence as though unsure of how to answer, or whether to answer. He held his breath, silently hoping that she would trust him enough to tell him.

“She did something…unspeakable,” Ginny choked out in the barest whisper.

“What did she do?” he asked.

“She possessed Tonks.”

Harry was thrown; he didn’t know what to think.

“Is possession like putting someone under the Imperius Curse?”

“No,” she whispered.

“What is it?” he asked persistently.

“She took over Tonks’ body…” she looked him in the eyes, “…Completely.”

Harry jumped up so suddenly that he sent the table sliding a foot or so.

“She’s not still possessing Tonks,” Ginny hurriedly reassured him, “She only did that so that she could meet me in human form.”

“Did she hurt Tonks?” Harry asked, concerned and afraid.

“Not at all,” Ginny signaled him to sit back down, “Tonks allowed her to do it, she gave her explicit permission to Voltara.”

“How could she?” Harry questioned.

“Voltara babysat Tonks when she was a little girl, so she knew that Tonks was a Metamorphmagus.”

Harry thought back to Mrs. Figg, his own babysitter who he had assumed for the longest time to be an ordinary muggle.

“Tonks was pretty shrewd herself and guessed that there was something odd about Voltara. When Voltara was forced into hiding she often vessel-voyaged to visit Tonks.”

“So Tonks let her use her body…Voltara morphed into a likeness of herself…and came to tell you that you are a Volcen?” Harry said, trying to get all the facts straight.

“Exactly,” Ginny told him in a relieved tone.

“Wait a minute,” Harry scrunched up his face and did some quick thinking. “How did you find all of this information out if Voltara hasn’t been in contact with you? I’ll bet it was Tonks!”

“I’d take that bet,” Ginny said attempting to put on a brave face.

“If it wasn’t Tonks…than who was it?”

“Gaia,” Ginny supplied the name he was looking for.

“Huh?” Harry said his confusion compounding, “Who’s Gaia?”

“Let’s make a deal,” Ginny said, “I’ll tell this story if you promise not to interrupt.”

Harry held up his hands in surrender and said, “No interruptions.”

“Alright Potter, you’d better keep your word,” she warned.

He mimed zipping his mouth shut in a very serious manner and she laughed at his goofiness. Then she started a different story.

“Two months ago while we were at the Burrow I sensed…something. It was a familiar feeling that I had felt before, whenever Voltara came to visit me. I assumed that Voltara had come to see me and ran to my room where I could have some privacy. When I got to my room, I realized that it was not Voltara. A new Volcen named Gaia introduced herself to me. She told me that she tracked Voltara down about a year ago. Voltara gave her news of my existence and told her to contact me for help. You see, Voltara was unable to offer Gaia any help…we’re unsure of why that is, but we were all rather relieved to know that Voltara was not lost.”

Harry was curious about the ‘we’ Ginny kept referring to, but he kept silent.

“By ‘we’ I mean Tonks, Gaia and myself,” Ginny answered his unasked question. He had chills down his spine as he realized that she must be able to read, or rather, ‘hear’ his thoughts. Nevertheless, he nodded for her to go on. He wanted to know who this ‘Gaia’ was, why she was contacting Ginny for help, and whether or not she was trustworthy.
Dumbledore’s Army Returns by Wise Owl
“So Gaia is an Order member that got kidnapped by a deatheater?” Ron asked for the tenth time that night.

“That’s right,” Harry told him as they sat in the deserted Gryffindor common room rehashing the revelations that Ginny had made in Hagrid’s hut. The hour hand of the grandfather clock signaled that it was close to midnight.

“And she’s contacted Ginny for help?”

Harry nodded.

“And she’s been held captive for seventeen years by an unnamed deatheater?”

Harry continued to nod.

“And there’s another prisoner with her, that she’s never seen, who is being drugged.”

Harry felt that if he continued to nod, his head was libel to roll off his neck in protest. Instead, he whispered “yes” and took a sip of water for his dry throat. Hermione had managed to convince Ron that Ginny was a real Volcen and had forced him to return to Hagrid’s hut with her just in time to hear Gaia’s story. He and Ron had exchanged rushed apologies, both feeling as though they were the one in the wrong. Ginny had then retold her Voltara story to Ron, who seemed to be the slowest on the uptake.

As she had done with Lupin, Hermione had guessed that Ginny was a Volcen. She had also correctly deduced that Tonks was there to teach Ginny about Volcency. Hermione speculated that Charlie was there for Ginny’s protection, most likely sent by Mrs. Weasley. They were all disconcerted to learn that Mrs. Weasley had no knowledge of Ginny’s abilities. They came to the agreement that Mrs. Weasley would most likely not allow Ginny to remain at Hogwarts if she knew.

Harry and Hermione immediately agreed to keep Ginny’s secret. It took longer to convince Ron; however, he reluctantly agreed after getting into a rather heated argument with his sister.

“Gaia told Ginny all this information about Voltara?”

Harry responded in the affirmative as he felt his eyes begin to close from tiredness. He shook himself awake, remembering the promise that he had made to answer all of Ron’s questions…irregardless of how long it took.

“So all that’s required of Ginny is…?”

“That she acts as a link,” Harry answered, “To relate the information that Gaia gives her back to the order.”

“And Gaia appears…?”

“Very rarely,” Harry sighed, he began to lose all patience with Ron’s repetitive questions. “Tonks is here to protect Ginny and report information about Gaia back to the order,” he responded to the next question before being asked.

“Well that doesn’t seem so dangerous,” Ron said carefully considering Ginny’s role. Harry felt like cheering.

“It’s getting late, we’d better be off to bed,” Ron said in high spirits as he caught Harry beginning to drift asleep. The two made their way up to their dorm room in silence. Harry threw himself into his four-poster bed. As soon as his head hit the pillow, he was fast asleep.



For the following week, Harry, Ron, and Hermione all insisted on attending Ginny’s after class sessions with Tonks. They were surprised to learn that Tonks, although not a Volcen herself, was able to coach Ginny on vessel-voyaging. They each, in turn, became Ginny’s vessel, or destination. Harry preferred to be Ginny’s vessel because he could not watch her body grow slack and her eyes become lifeless without feelings of great anxiety assailing him. The idea of her being soulless terrified him.

When he was her vessel, he could hear her inside his mind making snide remarks and telling childish jokes. He and Ginny particularly enjoyed arguing over Hermione and Ron’s ‘just friends’ status. Often, he wondered what Ginny spoke with Hermione about. Every time he and Ron would ask, the girls would simply giggle and refuses to answer. It was simply infuriating.

Towards the middle of the week, Tonks administered her first exam. The students had to keep her out of their minds utilizing Occlumency. Of course, this was not Ginny’s actual assessment. Tonks had a special test for her. Ginny was charged with the task of implanting a thought into someone’s mind. The catch was that the person had to act on that thought, as proof that she had done her assignment.

Tonks added the restriction that the thought must cause no injury to the person when Ron suggested that Ginny tell Malfoy to run off into the forbidden forest in search of the centaurs. Friday, Ginny announced that she had completed her mission, although she refused to disclose what she had done. After Ernie McMillan, Parvati Patil, and Susan Bones all approached Harry with questions about reforming Dumbledore’s Army; Harry correctly surmised that she had let word of Snape’s Slytherin Soldiers spread. The later the hour became, the more panicked everyone seemed to become, until he was fed up with the growing hysteria and announced that a meeting would take place 6pm the following day in the usual location.

Ten minutes to six the following day, he and Ginny could be found walking back to Hogwarts after a partially successful try-out session. Jimmy Bane, a stout 7th year with arms like a gorilla, proved to be an adept beater. Of course he could not wreak havoc on the quidditch field as finely as his predecessors, but he was a skillful flyer and was competent with a bat so Harry added him.

“Do you have any clue what you’ll be teaching?”

Harry was startled by the question. In truth, he had not spared a moment to think about the DA meeting that they were heading to. He wondered if Charlie would make it to the meeting.

“Did you talk to Charlie about coming?” he asked Ginny.

“Ron said that he and Hermione were visiting him this morning and that they would ask.”

“Oh.” Harry had picked up on a peculiar occurrence over the past week; Ginny had not been answering his questions before being asked. As time went by, he began to wonder when she was listening to the thoughts of those around her and just how much she heard. He opened the door, signaling her to go first, and cleared his throat awkwardly. “Ginny?”

“Yes Harry?”

“I was just wondering…how often do you hear other people’s thoughts?”

“As often as I want.”

“How come you didn’t hear me thinking about Charlie?”

“Charlie?” Ginny responded in bemusement. “Sorry, usually I just tune people out…otherwise it gets noisy in here,” she pointed to the general vicinity of her head.

“Like being in the great hall all day,” Harry commented.

“Exactly,” Ginny replied with a charming smile.

He hesitated, but the question he had been dying to ask burst forth, “Have you ever listened to my thoughts?”

For a moment, he thought that Ginny would not answer. The smile she had been wearing disappeared. Finally, she nodded in affirmation.

“What did you hear?” he continued to probe.

Ginny seemed to grow apprehensive, “Are you sure you want to know?”

“Yes…”

Ginny sighed, “I heard how horrible your date with Cho went…That the dementors make you hear your mother…That you got something called the Marauders Memoirs, I didn’t know what it was at the time I heard you thinking about it.”

Harry laughed at the thought of Ginny hearing about his disastrous date with Cho. “Have you ever changed something in my life?”

A slight blush came over Ginny; she nodded but did not speak.

“What did you change?”

She took a deep breath, seemingly bracing herself, and then jumped right in. “Since I saw you at Mafalda’s, I sensed how broken up you’ve been…about Sirius.”

All at once he sobered up, “Please continue.”

Her nerves looked to be failing her now that she had started the topic, but she continued. “You were so upset that I felt I had to do something to help you.”

“What did you do?”

“Every time you began to think about Sirius, I put other thoughts in your head.”

“What type of thoughts?”

“Oh, simple things…the urge to play cards, eat some food, or just soothing thoughts.”

“I see,” he replied unsure what to make of Ginny’s interference.

“Please don’t be upset with me,” she pleaded, “I only wanted to relieve the guilt you’ve been living with…You know, it really wasn’t your fault.”

“I’d rather not…”

“I know,” Ginny replied looking shamefaced. “Pull yourself together for right now. There are a lot of people behind that door.”

He was surprised to find that they had reached the room of requirements. He had not even noticed that they had walked back and forth three times in front of the door.

“There are a lot of people behind that door,” she warned as he turned the knob, “Just remember what we’re here for.”

“Right,” Harry nodded.

As he opened the door the noise level overwhelmed them. He felt as though he was entering the Quidditch pitch before a big game. Their presence was made known by Colin Creevy who began squeaking ‘He’s here’ before tumbling out of sight behind a pack of seventh years. The room had clearly reached full capacity. There were many people there that were not members of the DA; some he recognized from the hallways, others he did not know at all. He was thankful when Hermione approached him, ticking things off her clipboard as she went.

“Harry, I’ve explained the rules to joining the DA to everyone and they’ve all signed up. We’ve gone over the penalties that will befall them should they blab about our alliance. Charlie,” she nodded her head indicating the very back of the room where Charlie was tearing two squabbling third years apart, “has assigned everyone into groups and given group leaders. The group leaders are the old DA members, obviously. They are in charge of getting their groups up to speed in terms of hexes, charms, and spells…pretty much everything you taught us last year.”

Harry found himself in awe of the way Hermione had taken control of the situation. She looked expectantly at him. “Brilliant job, Hermione,” he said in apparent admiration.

She beamed happily at him and said, “Once you’re ready, give them the order.”

Harry turned to the eager crowd, “Everyone in your groups?” They all nodded enthusiastically. “Leaders ready?” The old DA members called out in the affirmative. “Then let’s get down to work!”

Hermione swept him into the midst of the bickering third years and they looked reverently at him. “This is your group, Harry,” she told him, shrugging when she saw the beseeching look in his eyes. “Ginny come with me and I will take you to your group.”

Ginny followed Hermione giving Harry a feeble thumbs up to encourage him. She fared off better than he did with a group of keen fourth year boys that were thrilled to have her as their leader.

“Alright guys…and girls,” he added, noting the mutinous looks on the girls’ faces, “Let’s pair up.” Once they had done so he set them about the task of repelling unfriendly hexes and curses. He had never had to deal with so many third years all at once and found that they were quite the rambunctious bunch. As they seemed to find their rhythm his concentration on the task before him began to ebb away. His mind turned to the conversation he had been having with Ginny that had come to an abrupt halt when they reached the room of requirements.

He was certain that she had not disclosed every thought that she had heard him thinking. After another hectic hour with the third years his mind settled on their first night back, when she had stomped off leaving him and a very confused Dean behind. Harry was prepared to bet his firebolt that Ginny had heard the war raging in his head. She had to know how he felt about her. That was the only explanation as to why she ignored both him and Dean. She knew he loved her, every fiber in his being told him that she knew. The question was: What was he going to do about it?
Shattered Dreams by Wise Owl
Evan Bailey, one of the third years that Harry had taught in DA, approached him the following day asking if it was too late to try out for the Quidditch team. Having taken a liking to him during the meeting, Harry let Evan try out that afternoon during his lunch hour. When he saw Evan fly, Harry had the euphoric feeling of a child successfully sneaking a cookie before dinner. Evan proved to be everything that the team needed, even if he was a bit aloof at times. He had excellent batting aim and hit every bludger with a loud, exacting, crack.

This meant that Harry could start holding team practices, which he did, every Thursday and Saturday morning. Every night, he continued to attend Ginny’s sessions with Tonks, despite Hermione and Ron’s mounting absences. They made the excuse that as prefects they were forced to roam the hallways in search of wrongdoers. Harry found their justifications quite dubious, but elected to say nothing disputing their alleged ‘duties’.

As he and Ginny walked back from her many sessions with Tonks they came across a fair number of miscreants, but never did they stumble upon Ron and Hermione. Ginny was of the notion that if they ever did encounter Ron and Hermione; the two would be in a rather compromising position. She beseeched Harry to help her find where the two were stowed away; however, he obstinately refused to do so.

Secretly, he was still unsure how he would react if he saw the two of them as a couple. He harbored a fear that he would become the odd man out; thereby throwing off the whole trio chemistry they had managed to establish. That notwithstanding, Harry found that he was spending the majority of his time in the company of Ginny. Her sessions were becoming all the more interesting. Tonks began moving Harry into different rooms within Hogwarts and having Ginny vessel-voyage to find him. It was quite the game of hide-and-go-seek, except that he always lost…now that Ginny could truly garner her power.

For all the time he spent with her, Harry remained confounded as to how to confess his feelings for her. He was unwavering in his resolution that the two of them could never become a couple. Not unless he could destroy Voldemort, in any case. There was no way he could put her in such danger. Yet as time passed, she grew increasingly distant. He was able to deduce that she either sensed his inner turmoil or heard his bewildered thoughts. Irregardless, she took the matter out of his hands altogether.

Ginny began to treat him with a business like demeanor. They attended her sessions with Tonks, quidditch practice, DA meetings, which were set for every Sunday, and class in cold silence. Ginny’s new behavior hurt Harry, but he knew that it was for the best. She was simply treating him the same way she had for the previous two years. At that time, he had felt relieved; now, he felt as though he had a permanent dementor affixed to his side. His sad feelings were compounded when Ginny accepted a pricy looking necklace from Dean, symbolizing that the two were exclusive.

He took his feelings of hurt and anger out on the Hufflepuffs, who they played in their first quidditch match of the year. The team that Harry had formed proved to be highly skillful and they crushed the Hufflepuffs two-hundred and seventy to twenty. The DA meetings were the other outlet for his mounting misery. Controlling the third years required so much of his energy that it was all he could do to collapse into his bed and sleep after dealing with them. He found small joy in winning quidditch and teaching the DA; still, it didn’t cancel out his remorseful longing for Ginny.

Meanwhile, he decided to ignore the blatant signs that Hermione and Ron had begun dating. When they held hands, he simply refused to look anywhere below their faces. When they fed each other playfully, he looked straight into his plate and devoured as much of it as was humanly possible. And when they blew kisses at each other, he ate even more. Luckily, as he devoured an increasingly startling number of meals, he gained muscle instead of fat. He had his physically grueling quidditch practices to thank for that.

Ron was highly amused by the amount of female attention that Harry was attracting. Of course that was with the exception of Ginny, much to Harry’s dismay, she kept her distance. Shrewd as she was, Hermione was not entirely convinced by his façade of indifference. She quit trying to talk to him about Ginny, however, when she became aware of the alarming amount of food he digested when Ginny’s name was brought up. Only Charlie acted stranger than Harry. Whenever Ron asked him for a game of chess he would bolt from the room as though he had forgotten an errand.

Harry noticed that every time Charlie ran away, Tonks was somewhere nearby; it seemed as though the two had fallen out. Harry knew who was to blame for that. Despite their problems, Harry had continued to attend Ginny’s sessions with Tonks. During Halloween, he, Ginny, and Charlie had gone to Tonks’ office for an impromptu session. Harry was highly embarrassed to find Lupin and Tonks in a rather passionate embrace. Ginny found the whole mess rather romantic. Charlie wore the look of a rather dejected man and Harry found that he could empathize. He and Charlie were in the same boat…both in love with a woman they could not have.

Charlie took his aggression out in class, to Harry’s amusement. He became quite Snape-like, refusing to repeat directions or information. He also brought in progressively more dangerous creatures for their lessons. Malfoy became Charlie’s favorite student to pick on, as he never listened to instructions. When Charlie brought in a Kelpie, a water demon that quite often appears as a friendly horse to lure the unwary to their doom, Malfoy wadded into the water in a show of bravado. He rode astride it to the applause of Pansy Parkinson when suddenly; the Kelpie swam swiftly to the middle of the lake.

Charlie let it dive into the water with a hysterical Malfoy on its back. A good two minutes passed as Charlie continued to lecture about how the Kelpie dives to the bottom of the lake or river that it inhibits to devour its rider. He callously continued to instruct them that the Kelpie allows the entrails to float to the surface which worked the Slytherin’s into quite a panic. Finally, he languidly pointed his wand to the lake and the Kelpie appeared back at the surface. Using a simple Placement charm, he placed a bridle over the Kelpies head rendering it docile and harmless.

Malfoy, a slopping mess, was pulled off the Kelpie by Crabbe and Goyle who tripped and fell repeatedly splashing much water about. The Kelpie meanwhile, seemed content to be the center of attention as the Gryffindor’s taunted Malfoy with catcalls. Unfortunately, all his other classes were not as entertaining as Care of Magical Creatures. Overall, his teachers taught ‘practical’ lessons. Only Transfiguration proved interesting as they began to study the theories behind becoming an animagus.

Only Hermione qualified to study after classes with Professor McGonagall to develop into an animagus. No matter, she was not guaranteed to become proficient enough to attain animal form and she received no credit for the four days a week she attended lessons, so Harry and Ron did not feel remorseful whatsoever that they did not qualify by testing high enough. Instead, Harry increased the amount of quidditch practices to match Hermione’s schedule. Mainly he did this so that Ron would not have cause to mope around while waiting for Hermione to get out of her lesson.

It was gratifying to know that between her sessions with Tonks and the increased amount of quidditch practice, Ginny had no time left to spend with Dean. Harry found her constant proximity to him to be rather bittersweet. Even so, today was a rare free day. He did not schedule practice due to the teams vehement protests that they be allowed to go to Hogsmeade. He and Ron joined the horde of students traveling to Hogsmeade. Hermione was forced to stay behind as she had an animagus lesson.

Harry and Ron made their way lazily through the streets of Hogsmeade with a pack of girls trailing not to far behind, giggling all the way. Finally, the mass of energetic students in front of Zonko’s caught their attention. Harry was somewhat amazed when the milling students parted, allowing him and Ron straight entrance into Zonko’s. As they entered the store, they feared being smothered by the vast crowd enclosed within. The proprietors of the shop hopped onto the counter and shouted into crowd for silence.

A hush fell upon the Hogwarts students. Ron, who was able to see over the crowd with ease, elbowed Harry excitedly.

“It’s Fred and George!” he yelled.

George spotted them before Fred had the chance.

“You lot! Get up here!” he shouted to them, and the crowd within the store parted just as their counterparts outside had done to let them through.

“What are you doing here?” Ron asked once they had reached the counters.

“Just bought this place,” Fred replied to the enthusiastic applause of the students.

“It’s great that you lot are here,” George told them, while simultaneously hyping up the crowd, “because we were just about to introduce our new line of defensive gear!”

“Like this new wailing widow,” Fred dropped an orb shaped glass on the counter where, instead of shattering, it rolled around aimlessly beaming flashing lights while making loud wailing sounds, “gives you just the diversion you need to escape your enemy!”

“I don’t know about you Fred, but I could sure use a Visor Veil,” George called out.

“Why George,” Fred replied in mock eagerness, “What’s a Visor Veil?”

“How can you not know what a Visor Veil is?” George asked unveiling a bright multi-colored visor.

“Is that a Visor Veil?” Fred asked continuing their clearly rehearsed sketch.

“It sure is!” George confirmed.

“What does it do?” Fred asked the question that many kids were now excitedly shouting.

“Why tell you when I can show you?” George queried as he placed the Visor Veil on his head and went completely invisible. The entire student population gasped loudly as one.

“George!” Fred called out in false concern, “Where have you gone?”

It was clear where George was, however. To everyone’s amusement, he was messing around with Fred’s robes, pulling them over his eyes and tying his shoe laces together. It was painfully obvious to Harry that they had practiced this comedy routine many times, but the students loved it all the same. Next, they introduced a Charbong, a long pipe that exploded scorching anything near it. It singed Ron’s right eyebrow off, as they had tossed it to him.

Having witnessed this Harry swore not to take anything Fred and George offered him. He was literally forced to eat his words moments later as he reluctantly accepted the Pelt Pellet and swallowed it after much heckling of the crowd. When he opened his mouth to speak colored capsules shot out. A blue one hit Neville who floated into the air. A gray one hit Luna, forming into a thundering cloud directly over her head. No matter where she moved, the cloud persistently followed.

A red one hit Ron, who began to swell up into a big red ball. Harry spit the rest of the capsules into a cup, refusing to hurt anymore of his friends. Neville was in good spirits when they managed to peal him off the ceiling. Luna’s hair clung to her face making her bulging eyes look huger and scarier than ever before. Although, when Fred offered her a free love potion she cheered right up. Harry felt the worst for Ron. In order for him to deflate, he was forced to pass gas. It was another taste of Fred and George’s rather crude sense of humor. Everyone was highly amused and Fred gave him a free Visor Veil to make it up to him.

Angelina began to ring up the students who were buying up everything they could get their hands on while Fred went to get more merchandise from the back. George signaled Harry and Ron to the back where they were able to talk without yelling.

“Harry, good news,” George told him, “Dumbledore just gave the okay for you to come to the Burrow for the holidays.”

“Excellent!” Ron cut in happily. “Hermione’s coming too.”

Christmas break was still a month away. Harry thought about how Ginny would react when she learned he was coming home with her.

“Better make your Christmas lists boys,” George advised with a wink.

Harry already knew what he wanted…for Dean not to be invited to the Burrow for Christmas.
The Mole by Wise Owl
The weeks leading up to Christmas break passed in a flurry of activity. The new DA members were significantly ahead of Hermione’s target timeline and were now working on mastering the Patronus charm. What they would work on once they had mastered the charm was yet to be decided. In other news, the Gryffindor quidditch team managed to pull off another spectacular win devastating Ravenclaw three-hundred ten to ninety. Harry found savage joy in snatching the snitch right out from under Cho’s nose. She had left the field in quite a huff, much to his delight.

Less than a week later, Hermione relayed the wonderful news that Dean’s mother was taking him overseas for the whole of break. The thought of him and Ginny cooped up for two weeks without any interruptions from Dean kept Harry in high morale.

“This is yours,” Ron tossed an old trouser at Harry; they sat in their dorm room packing their trunks in the early morning hours before break officially started.

“I’m sure yours will turn up,” Harry assured Ron who was tearing through his closet yet again.

Harry’s eye caught a lump under Ron’s bed. When he bent to examine the lump, he found that it was just what Ron was looking for.

“They’re my best pair,” Ron informed him, holding up the rather battered looking pair of jeans. “Well, they’ll look better once they’ve been washed,” he said catching Harry’s doubtful look.

Once they had their trunks secure they went to the common room for a game of exploding snap. They were also able to play a few games of wizard’s chess before it was time to get ready for the train ride. Much to Harry’s delight, Tonks excused Hermione and Ron from their prefect duties for the ride home. They were able to spend all their time in his compartment playing games and talking. Not before long, they were pulling up to platform nine and three quarters.

“What are you two doing?” Hermione inquired as Ron and Harry began stacking their trunks so that they could take them out in one load. “You’ll never be able to carry them,” she forewarned. But they proved her wrong.

“Got it Harry?”

“Got it!”

“Right, team lift on three …one…two…” and all at once they lifted the trunks with more strength than Hermione knew they had.

“I understand,” Hermione mocked them, “You’re willing to put all your efforts into getting away from school, rather than studying for your NEWTS.”

“Exactly,” Ron answered flippantly.

As they were bringing their trunks down the train steps, they were spotted by the eagerly awaiting Mrs. Weasley. No sooner had they dropped their trunks than they were gathered into her arms for a bone-crushing hug. She let them go of them when Hermione jumped out of the train, in order to deliver a bear hug to her. Charlie and Tonks soon followed and were lovingly greeted by Mrs. Weasley. Harry scanned the crowd and spotted Ginny saying goodbye to Dean not too far away. He was certain that Mrs. Weasley would catch sight of her shortly, thereby forcing her to join them. His family would be complete very soon.

Squinting, he noticed Mafalda exiting the doors at the back of the train. She looked to be struggling with her trunk. He was in such good spirits, that he went to assist her without being asked. As he went to grab the handle of her trunk she hit his hand away.

“Geroff me, scarhead,” she hissed contemptuously.

“I was just…” Harry began.

“You heard her pothead,” Malfoy exclaimed, coming down the stairs and taking the other end of Mafalda’s trunk.

“Mind your business, Malfoy,” Harry warned softly.

“Just trying to be a do-gooder, I suppose?” Mafalda mocked him.

“Not going to win any fans here,” Malfoy laughed, roughly slamming his shoulder into Harry’s as he and Mafalda went off with her trunk to find her family.

Harry was of half a mind to go after Mafalda to let her know what he thought of her when suddenly he was jerked back by his collar.

“Ginny! Take it easy,” he said, massaging his neck.

“Have you lost your mind?” she scolded him in a angry whisper.

“I was only trying to help!” Harry said, his good mood dilapidating quickly.

“You were about to blow her cover, Potter! For goodness sake, think before you act!”

Harry realized the gravity of his actions. If Mafalda had not been rude with him, Malfoy would have become highly suspicious of her.

“Sorry,” he mumbled shamefully.

On the plus side, his stunt with Mafalda had put him at the center of Ginny’s radar. Until they reached the ministry cars waiting outside of the station for them, he was not allowed more than an arms length away from her. He was unsure whether she thought he was dim-witted enough to pull another stunt like the one he had just pulled or whether she was simply not willing to risk it, but he welcomed her attention all the same. She was fuming for the entire ride to the Burrow…he found she looked rather cute when she was angry.

Once they had arrived at their destination, they bid the stoic faced ministry drivers adieu and heaved their trunks into the Burrow. Much to their delight, they found that Fred and George had opted to spend Christmas break at the Burrow with them. Soon, they were to be found reminiscing while roasting marshmallows and drinking hot cocoa in the living room. With all the good cheer around her, Ginny stopped sulking, much to Harry’s relief.

“Remember the time Penelope dumped flour all over Percy’s head?” Fred asked George.

“Ah that Penelope,” George said affectionately, “not the girl to cross!”

“Whatever happened to Gabrielle?” Charlie asked.

“Oh she came to the shop two months ago to say she couldn’t date Fred anymore,” George replied.

“Why not?” Tonks inquired.

“Got a new boyfriend,” George told them in jovially.

“Who?” Harry asked, joining the conversation.

“Lee Jordan!” Fred readily supplied. They laughed raucously at poor Lee’s misfortune.

“Remember pépère?” Ginny asked them in apparent glee.

“May Percy’s shins never recover!” Ron cried out in delight.

“I finally found out what récidiver means,” Ginny remarked, ignoring her brother’s outburst.

“I thought it meant stop,” Hermione commented.

“That’s what the Delacour’s said whenever pépère hit one of us boys,” Harry said, remembering pépère’s attack on him when he arrived at the Burrow earlier that summer.

“That’s what the Delacour’s wanted us to think,” Ginny began enticingly.

“Well what does it mean?” Ron asked after Ginny’s pregnant pause.

“It means to repeat one’s action!” Tonks, Hermione, and Ginny burst into a rapture of giggles whereas the boys took great offense, swearing vengeance on the Delacour clan.

They continued to share funny anecdotes and memories but their cozy manner ended abruptly, when a panic-stricken Mr. Weasley burst into the Burrow.

“Where are the kids?” he screamed at Mrs. Weasley who was in the kitchen.

“They’re in the living room…Arthur what’s going on?” she asked as he pulled her into the living room.

“GO!” he bellowed at them in distress.

“Go where?” Charlie asked, sitting up in alarm.

“Grimmauld Place,” Ginny responded promptly, “We’re under attack.”

Harry had no doubt that she was utilizing her Volcen abilities and listening to Mr. Weasley’s thoughts.

“GO!”

This time it was Harry shouting as he pushed Ginny into the fire seconds after Mr. Weasley threw floo-powder into it. Hermione, Ron, and Harry followed soon after. Mrs. Weasley, Fred, and George apparated to Grimmauld Place once they ensured that Harry had gone.

“Where are the rest?” Harry asked Mrs. Weasley.

“Arthur, Charlie, and Tonks aren’t coming,” she answered.

“Are they trying to fight?” Ron bellowed in horror.

“I don’t know,” she replied, trying not to break into a fit of hysteria.

Harry took a hand-full of floo-powder and threw it into the fire. If there was going to be a fight, he was going to be there to help. He could not return to the Burrow, however, as the fire was stubbornly refusing to turn green.

“They must have closed the network connection,” Hermione said, taking note of his action.

Harry cursed himself for not being old enough to apparate.

“They’re not at the Burrow,” Ginny whispered.

Harry turned around to face her. “Where are they?”

“I’m not sure,” Mrs. Weasley replied giving Ginny a fleeting look, “they were apparating same time we were.”

After a moment’s thought, Harry realized that they had to be getting help from the Order and relaxed a bit. He took a second to appreciate what Ginny’s abilities really meant. Thanks to her, they were quick to get out of harms way. If they were still at the Burrow, any number of calamities could have befallen them. He looked to Fred and George who were anxiously pacing in front of the stove.

“I suppose you were assigned to protect us,” he stated rather than asked.

George looked slightly guilty, but Fred held his head up high. “If anyone wants to get to you, they’ll have to kill us first,” he responded earnestly.

Harry wished that Fred had not used the word ‘kill’ when Mrs. Weasley let out a strangled cry, though he valued their solemn oath.

They sat in worried silence waiting for a sign that their loved ones were alright. Time slowed down, the minutes that normally flew by dragged on for ages. The ticking of the grandfather clock in the foyer reverberated loudly around them.

“Move!” Hermione shouted as a gust of wind swept through the room.

Harry unsheathed his wand, ready for whatever was to come. The rest followed suit. Spinning figures appeared at the top of the ceiling, slowing as they descended to the kitchen table. He made sure that he had a firm grip on his wand. The attackers had made a grave mistake; they were cloistered in the center of the kitchen. He, Hermione, and the Weasley’s had their assailants enclosed in a tight bubble, they were poised to attack.

“Don’t hurt us,” an anxious cry came from one of the new arrivals after they fell onto the kitchen table.

Harry waved his hand to stop the rest from attacking. He had recognized that voice…although how could it be?

“Uncle Vernon?”

His uncle uttered a feeble sob in response. Harry stood from his crouched position and surveyed the sight in front of him. The last five people he had ever expected to see at Grimmauld Place had arrived, looking as though devastation had befallen them. Mr. Prewett’s eyes were the size of saucers, his mouth agape in an expression of frozen shock. Mrs. Prewett was huddled up screaming into a handkerchief, a fit of spasms raking her body.

Vernon Dursley looked like a large purple walrus, he was blubbering incoherently like a frightened child. Aunt Petunia remained silent, completely stationary, staring off into space. What shocked Harry the most was the last of these five people. Dripping in blood, Dudley Dursley fell to the ground rocking back and forth at first slowly and then more swiftly. He continued this cycle without end; his arms wrapped in front of his chest around nothing more than air.

The awfulness of the grisly scene that lay before them had paralyzed everyone; but when his Aunt Petunia collapsed into unconsciousness, they speed into action. Harry grabbed her before she hit the ground, laying her down gently. Mrs. Weasley attempted to bring her to while Ron and Hermione tended to the Prewetts. Fred and George were attempting to siphon the blood from Dudley as he continued to rock back and forth. The smelling salts that Mrs. Weasley conjured worked their magic and his aunt opened her eyes, inhaling deeply.

Harry felt he was short staffed as he looked to his Uncle Vernon who was still wailing like a baby. A bit of time lapsed by before he realized that Ginny was not helping. He looked to where she had been standing before the Prewett’s and Dursley’s had arrived to see if he could find her. What he found staggered him. In an exact mock of Dudley, Ginny was clutching the air and rocking back and forth, first slowly and than more swiftly.
Lost by Wise Owl
Before Harry could make it over to Ginny the sound of loud POPS, like Pelt Pellets flying in every direction, signaled the arrival of the Order. Harry was not surprised whatsoever to see that Dumbledore was amongst them. Tonks was the first, after Harry, to notice Ginny’s peculiar behavior.

She ran to Ginny, grabbed her, and shook her very hard. “Ginny, use occlumency,” she said urgently.

“DON’T KILL HER!” Ginny shrieked. “DON’T KILL HER!”

“Ginny come to!” Tonks yelled.

Ginny let out a blood curling screech. “KILL ME!” She clutched Tonks’ chemise and beseeched her, “KILL ME!”

“Get her out of here at once,” Dumbledore shouted to Tonks, “or she’ll be lost!”

Tonks attempted to pull Ginny from the room, but Ginny began to claw at her face, drawing blood. Charlie ran to help Tonks remove Ginny from the room. When he reached for her ankles, Ginny began to kick him with amplified violence, screaming “NO!”

Harry could not bear to watch, but he did. He held his wand at the ready, prepared to curse them all into oblivion if they hurt her in any way.

“MAFALDA!” Ginny squealed, contracting as though in great pain. She threw herself to the floor and wrapped her arms around air once more, rocking slowly back and forth.

“Take her now,” Dumbledore ordered.

Ginny looked up at Harry with pleading eyes. He had never felt more forlorn in his life. He wanted to protect her from the Order, but knew that they only wanted to protect her from herself. Once Tonks and Charlie managed to get her out of the kitchen doorway, her body grew slack and she stopped resisting. When Harry realized that she’d lost consciousness, he wielded his wand threateningly, prepared to do anything to get to her.

“Listen to me Harry,” Dumbledore’s voice stopped him in his tracks, “she is just resting now. She has just heard everything that took place at the home of the Prewetts tonight. She needs to rest and I need you to trust me. Believe me,” Dumbledore entreated, gripping his shoulder tightly.

Harry was torn, Dumbledore had never failed him…but this was Ginny.

“Please,” Dumbledore implored.

After slight hesitation, Harry let his wand fall slowly to his side. Dumbledore nodded for Tonks and Charlie to take Ginny away.

“Mafalda?” Harry half-asked the question on everyone’s minds.

“Mafalda has been taken to St. Mungo’s for treatment,” Dumbledore replied. “She has sustained substantial injuries,” he shook his head gravely, “but she remains alive.”

At that announcement, Aunt Petunia began to shake Dudley. “Dudley she’s alive, Mafalda’s alive! Didn’t you hear the man? She’s alive!”

Dudley stopped rocking.

“I want to see her!” Mrs. Prewett wailed, now sobbing tears of relief on Mr. Prewett’s shoulder.

“You shall,” Dumbledore bowed his head regally in ascent, “I beg that you not disturb the Healers attending to her at this time, however, as she is in a critical state.”

“I want go…” Dudley tripped over the words, as though the concept of speech was foreign to him. He stood up shakily, “I want see ‘Falda.”

“You understand that they will be unable to let you in right away?” Dumbledore asked him. “You will have to wait, perhaps many hours, before you may see her.”

Dudley nodded awkwardly.

“Alright,” Dumbledore agreed, “it would be best if you take your father with you. Perhaps you are also in need of some treatment.”

“And Petunia,” Vernon Dursley added shakily.

Petunia Dursley looked from her husband’s dazed face to Dumbledore’s stern one. “I’ll just stay here,” she said at last. “Don’t worry,” she added seeing her husband’s troubled expression, “Harry will take care of me.” Finally, Vernon Dursley decided to leave his wife behind in the care of his nephew.

Dumbledore grabbed a tattered book from the kitchen table and tapped it smartly. “Off you go then,” he said, setting the book in the center of the kitchen table. Mr. and Mrs. Prewett, Uncle Vernon, and Dudley all took hold of the book and were wrenched from the kitchen. The sound of a few POPS indicated that several members of the Order were also going to St. Mungo’s. Harry assumed that they would be there to guard them.

Dumbledore turned to Harry’s aunt. “I’m afraid you know what I must ask of you,” he said ominously. She nodded. “Everyone, I must ask you to leave,” Dumbledore told the crowded kitchen at large.

“Not Harry,” Petunia stipulated.

“Not Harry,” Dumbledore agreed.




Harry settled himself into the kitchen chair across from his Aunt Petunia, curious about the attack despite his worry for Ginny and Mafalda.

“If you wouldn’t mind starting at the beginning…” Dumbledore said while taking a mug from the cabinet and filling it with a steaming liquid from the tip of his wand.

Aunt Petunia nodded, though she remained silent for another moment or two.

“Perhaps you could start with what you were doing at the Prewetts’?” Dumbledore suggested in a voice that did not imply that she had any real choice.

She wrung her hands quite a bit before she finally spoke. “Dudders, Dudley that is, my son…”

“Yes?” Dumbledore urged her as he slid the steamy mug her way.

“Well…he wanted to see Mafalda…his little girlfriend, that is. So Ophelia…Mrs. Prewett I mean, she invited us over for an impromptu welcome-home party.”

“I see,” Dumbledore nodded, gesturing for her to take a sip of her drink, “that explains how you got there, but what took place after that?”

She took a long sip of the smoldering liquid before answering. This time, her answers were much comprehensible. Harry gathered that the drink in her mug was no ordinary cup of tea.

“We were waiting for Joseph Prewett to bring Mafalda home when there was the sound of something crashing into the front door. Two men and one woman came running into the living room where we were seated. At first they were taken aback to find us sitting there, but their surprise did not last very long.”

“They attacked you, correct?” Dumbledore asked after another lengthy pause.

Aunt Petunia shuddered but continued on in her same monotone. “They dressed very strangely, their faces were hidden by masks and they had long black cloaks on. I remember seeing people dressed like that only once before.”

Harry was able to quickly discern that these intruders were Death Eaters, not that he’d had any doubt that they would be. He also had little doubt that his Aunt was recalling the Death Eaters that had killed her parents. A wave of pity hit him.

“Vernon tried to stand up to them and shield us but they made him go flying in the air, like a balloon. Then the woman pointed her wand at Dudley, it looked like she was flicking it and he was thrown into the entryway. They were all laughing, having such a good time. I couldn’t hear Dudders moving…I thought that they had…killed him. But they must have knocked him unconscious.”

“Where were you as this was all happening?” Dumbledore inquired.

“Ophelia pushed me down behind the couch with her,” Aunt Petunia responded. “She kept muttering something about not letting them into the den. I thought she had gone mad. Then they found us…” fear crept into her eyes as she remembered what had taken place, “they did something to Ophelia.”

“What did they do?” Harry asked in abated breath.

“I don’t know,” Aunt Petunia told him as she looked directly into his eyes, “I just don’t know. She was screaming and screaming, like she was in pain…unbelievable pain. She was writhing on the ground when Joseph arrived with Mafalda.”

Harry let out a sigh of relief. Mafalda had arrived just in time to save them all.

“Mafalda took out her wand and started to scream things I didn’t understand. All I knew was that she sent the big man through the window and got the wand of the woman. I thought she had things under control so I helped Joseph pull Ophelia back behind the couch. Then Mafalda took Vernon off the ceiling and set him down beside us. I don’t think she noticed the third masked person. He pointed his wand at her and she started to scream. It was as though he was slashing her with his wand. Her blood started to go everywhere.”

As his Aunt took another sip from her mug Harry sat awestruck. This was the second Death Eater attack that she had survived. It was no wonder she despised magic, it never caused her anything but pain and fear.

“That’s when Dudley came into the room,” she whispered. “He threw himself on the evil man and was hitting him with all his strength. Mafalda collapsed onto the floor still holding her wand and the other woman’s wand. Then Joseph brought her behind the couch with the rest of us. The man Dudley was fighting did something with his wand and Dudders was thrown onto the couch. When we got him behind the couch he grabbed Mafalda and kept rocking back and forth. I don’t think he had seen how hurt she was until just then.”

Dumbledore leaned in and looked meaningfully at Petunia. “What happened after that?”

“The big man climbed back through the broken window and the woman got up as well. They stood by the smaller man and the two men pointed their wands at us. The woman said ‘Nice of you all to huddle into a small area for us’ and they all laughed.”

“What did you do,” Dumbledore insisted.

“I put my hand over Mafalda’s, she was carrying her wand in it, and I said ‘Protego’ loud as I could.”

Dumbledore looked positively gleeful at this news. Harry was more perplexed than anything. Had his Aunt cast a spell? How did she even know that the correct spell to cast would be the shield charm?

“A big bubble surrounded us, so I held onto Mafalda’s hand to keep it in place. The people couldn’t get to us through the bubble. Than people started to pop into the living room and pointed their wands at our attackers. They put them under arrest and I let go of Mafalda’s hand. I felt very weak.”

Dumbledore nodded the triumphant look still in his eyes. “May I ask who taught you that spell?”

Aunt Petunia looked like a school girl that had been caught doing something wrong. “Mrs. Potter did.”




After their interview, Dumbledore sent Aunt Petunia off with Mrs. Weasley so that she could get some rest. He and Harry sat in silence until they could no longer hear the women’s receding footsteps. Finally Harry broke the silence.

“Sir?”

“Yes Harry?” Dumbledore asked, looking kindly towards him.

“Did my Aunt do magic?” The question he had been dying to ask burst forth.

“In a manner of speaking, I suppose she did.” Dumbledore answered

“But how…?”

“Transitive property,” Dumbledore told him.

“What does that mean?”

“I believe that because Mafalda was holding her wand and your Aunt placed her hand on Mafalda’s, your Aunt was able to cast a spell that the wand obeyed.”

“Does that mean Aunt Petunia is a witch?”

“I’m afraid not,” Dumbledore chuckled. “I’m rather certain that your grandmother, James’ mother, is to thank for your Aunt’s knowledge of the wizarding world. For now, I must be off to St. Mungo’s to see Mafalda and her family.”

Harry was torn. He did not want to be selfish and ask for more of Dumbledore’s time when others were in greater need of it, but there were questions burning through his mind.

“Harry, may I ask a favor of you?” Dumbledore said, before walking out of the kitchen.

“Anything,” Harry replied at once.

“I was hoping you’d say that,” Dumbledore grinned. “The Prewett’s and Dursley’s are going to need a place to stay…”

“They can stay here,” he instantly assured his mentor.

“Thank you Harry,” Dumbledore said as he turned to leave once more.

“Sir!”

“Yes Harry?”

“How could Aunt Petunia have learned from Mrs. Potter, my grandmother?”

Dumbledore’s eyebrows furrowed at this question, “Were you unaware that your Aunt lived in the wizarding world hosted by the Potter’s?”

“When? How could that be?”

Dumbledore gave him a thoughtful look, “When her parents were murdered, she and Lily were taken in by the Potter family. I presume when Lily and James were in school, Petunia had no one to spend time with save for your grandmother. I know for a fact, your grandmother would have found it highly amusing to teach non-magical folk about magic. She shared Mr. Weasley’s love of Muggles.”

Harry nodded and they said their goodbyes. He sat in the kitchen for many hours after that, pondering over everything he had just learned. Finally Mrs. Weasley took him to his room and tucked him into bed like a concerned mother hen. She kissed his forehead as he drifted off into a chaotic sleep.
Emma Potter by Wise Owl
Harry woke up feeling dreadfully fatigued with a strange numbness in his mind. The hooting of the owls and the darkness that swallowed up the room indicated that it was still the middle of the night. When he made peace with the fact that sleep was not likely to overcome him again, he sat up and switched the bedside lamp on. Despite his blurred vision he was quickly able to locate his glasses and put them on. As he leaned back against his bedpost recollections of the previous day swept over him. He strained his ears to see if he could hear anyone moving about, but the inhabitants of the house were quite still. That meant that he would have to wait for news about Mafalda until morning came.

He stifled the urge to go look in on Ginny, assuring himself that she was alright. Instead, he considered what had happened to her the previous night. Dumbledore’s shouts that she would be lost if she stayed in the kitchen with Dudley continued to echo in his mind. Her abilities were something magnificent, yet terrifying at the same time. The possibility that she could get hurt because she was a Volcen was something he had waved aside, now he was reconsidering his previous enthusiasm about the whole subject of Volcency.

Than there was his Aunt Petunia who was sleeping three doors down. There were so many things he had never known about her, like the fact that she had lived with his father’s family in the past…after her own parents had been murdered before her eyes. Originally, Harry had assumed that his aunt hated magic because it was the method used to kill her parents, though now he knew better. His aunt had gone to stay with the Potter’s and had learned some form of magic from Mrs. Potter after the death of her parents.

He was mulling over the possible events that could have unfolded to make his aunt detest magic when a brainwave hit. He kicked himself for having forgotten the gift that Lupin had bestowed upon him, for it surely held the answers he was looking for. After rummaging in his truck for several minutes and tossing old socks and dirty trousers about the room, he found what he was looking for. He quickly said, “Alohamora,” and began to scan through the pages of the Marauders Memoirs looking for a little flying “P”. After ruffling through the memoirs no less than three times he found only one page that had what he was looking for.

The little flying “P” was fluttering around the head of a werewolf who was taking a whiff of the lily that lay next to him. Before Harry could tap any one of the inhabitants of the page the door of his room unlocked itself and swung open to reveal an annoyed looking Ginny.

“Thinking of going someplace without me?” she asked in a caustic manner.

He made his way to the door and helped Ginny into his room, seating her on his bed.

“Are you alright?” he asked, sounding excessively concerned.

She dropped her demeanor all at once and gave an audible sigh while closing her eyes for a spell.

“I’m alright,” she told him at last. The fact that she was shaking her head seemed to contradict that, but he took her word for it.

“What happened…earlier?” Harry asked, but she shook her head more vehemently.

“I don’t want to talk about that,” she whispered, so he didn’t pursue the topic.

“If I knew you were awake…” Harry began.

“…you would have looked in on me,” Ginny completed his thought, “I know.”

Her statement confirmed his suspicion that she had been listening to his thoughts.

“Since you woke up.”

“Excuse me,” Harry asked dimly, sure that he had missed something.

“I’ve been listening to your thoughts since you woke up. I was also listening to see if anyone was awake.”

Harry grinned. “You’ve got better hearing than I do,” he replied cheekily and she had the courtesy to look abashed.

“I want to go into the memory with you,” she told him without preamble.

“It’s just about my aunt,” Harry explained airily, “I wanted to see…”

“…how she learned magic,” Ginny took the words right out of his mouth. “Like I said, I’ve been listening to you for a while…you’re the only one awake right now.”

Harry shifted uncomfortably trying to go over what he had been thinking about and trying to clear his mind simultaneously.

“Quit it Potter,” Ginny said affably, “you’re giving me a headache.”

That broke the tension as Harry sat next to her on the bed and shared what his Aunt Petunia had told him and Dumbledore in their closed session. It felt funny to Harry that he was sharing this information so openly with Ginny when he had not yet talked it over with Hermione and Ron.

“So your grandmother taught a muggle magic,” Ginny gave a low whistle, “big breach of the secrecy laws. Sounds like she and dad would have had a gay old time picking out spark plugs together.”

Harry laughed as Ginny took the Marauders Memoirs in her lap and pulled out her wand.

“It’s time for some answers,” she told him, tapping each of the three Marauders on the page. A small screen expanded unto the page and began to play the memory.

“After you,” Harry invited cordially.

Ginny put her eye to the screen and was sucked into the memoir. Harry followed her lead and soon felt the sensation of falling head first before landing, with a small thud. Harry recognized the house they were standing before. He had seen his father and godfather talking on the patio of it in a previous memory.

“I think this is my dad’s home,” he whispered to Ginny.

She signaled him to be silent as a young, slightly shabby, yet surprisingly good looking Lupin walked up the steps and knocked on the door. Ginny gave the young Lupin an appraising look and winked in Harry’s direction.

“Sorry, he’s taken,” Harry whispered with a grin and Ginny pretended to pout.

The door of the house swung open and Lily pulled Lupin in while teasing him about his excessive politeness. Harry and Ginny barely had time to squeeze through the door before Lily slammed it shut.

“Look Moony, I’ve told you a million times that there’s no need to knock, just let yourself in.”

The young Lupin shuffled his feet a bit and looked embarrassed. Despite his mother’s reassurance, Harry was positive that the next time Lupin visited he would be knocking on the door.

“…just too polite for your own good,” Harry missed some of the words that his mother was saying as she placed freshly laundered items within a closet. “Right than,” Lily put her arms on her hips and looked around thoughtfully, “…where to work?”

“Perhaps where we always do?” Lupin suggested tentatively.

“Right you are!” She placed a laundry basket against her hip and they followed her to the kitchen where she deposited it and disappeared within a walk-in cupboard. The younger version of Aunt Petunia entered the kitchen, trailing after a happy-go-lucky witch.

“Remus! Dear boy, it’s nice to see you again. I heard you’ve been sick.”

“Yes ma’am,” Lupin nodded turning very red, “I’m happy too…to see you, I mean…that is to say…”

The laughter of the witch cut him off, “I must compliment your parents on raising such a polite young man. You all will be joining us for dinner next week, won’t you?”

“Erm…um…yes ma’am, I believe we will.”

“Excellent! We’re up to ten people for you to meet Petunia,” she told Harry’s aunt while placing an arm around her shoulders. “All of them with handsome son’s,” she whispered mischievously to a scandalized-looking Petunia. “Care for some juice Remus?”

Harry gave Ginny an amused look. The unnamed witch sure moved quickly from topic to topic.

“Thanks,” Remus said with a blush.

“I think he fancies her,” Ginny told Harry with a giggle.

Harry pointed to the younger version of his aunt who was eyeing Lupin with much interest. “I think she fancies him,” he told Ginny with a wink.

“Brilliant,” Ginny said in complete amusement.

“Mrs. Potter,” the young Petunia said, “would you like me to help you prepare dinner?”

Harry caught Ginny’s eye as he gaped in open-mouthed shock. Was this hip, attractive, carefree witch his grandmother?

“I’d love that! You’re just so helpful and adorable!” His grandmother gushed over the young Petunia pinching her cheeks. Harry, who had never seen his aunt this enamored with anyone save for Dudley, was in shock. It looked as though his highly eccentric grandmother had won a place in his aunt’s heart. His grandmother pulled a long strand of her hair from her head and proceeded to wrap it around her wand. Harry looked at Ginny to see if this made any sense to her but she looked as confused as he felt.

“Here you go dear,” Harry’s grandmother handed her hair-wrapped wand to Petunia.

His aunt looked rather psyched and began casting spells to peel the potatoes, strain the beans, and chop the lettuce all at once.

“Transitive property,” Harry whispered, “that’s genius.”

Ginny still looked confused but brushed it off. Just then, his mother reappeared with several wooden hoops.

“I’m going to get the hang of this apparating thing if it’s the last thing I do,” she swore fervently, laying the hoops in random spots around the kitchen.

Mrs. Potter chuckled. “James has been rather unbearable since he passed his test,” she confided in Lupin.

“And I haven’t been able to apparate once!” Lily said in a huff. “Boy, he’ll have a field day if I fail that test!”

“I’m here to make sure that doesn’t happen,” Lupin said exuding a bit of confidence into his voice.

“That’s the spirit!” Mrs. Potter yelled out while draining the pasta. “It’s not that hard once you get over the fear of splinching.”

“What’s that?” Petunia asked, clearly yearning for more information about the wizarding world. As Mrs. Potter gave her an explanation with rather graphic stories of apparition gone wrong, Lily’s face turned every shade that the rainbow encompassed.

“I bet she failed it,” Ginny whispered, taking note of his mother’s queasiness. He felt grateful that he had another year to go before he could learn to apparate.

Perhaps in the span of two seconds, the atmosphere turned from sunny, lighthearted fun to a queer darkness with a terrifying chill. At first Harry thought something had gone wrong with the memoirs but than his grandmother’s voice screamed, “It’s a dementor attack! Get down!”

He reached for Ginny and pulled her down to safety. He heard his grandmother yell, “Expecto…” but only silence came after that. Looking around desperately he spotted the outline of his grandmother, she was being held by a cloaked figure while another figure dropped the hood of his own cloak. Before Harry had a chance to react Lupin was shouting ‘Expecto Patronum.’ His flimsy Patronus managed only to hold off the dementors that were creeping Petunia’s way. Harry spotted his mother lying on the ground, completely unconscious. He couldn’t bear to watch as the dementor kissed his grandmother, tearing her soul from her body.

Ginny began to shake and perils of sweat formed on her forehead as she watched the scene.

“Don’t get lost,” Harry said, holding her tightly in his arms. “It’s just a memory,” he told her with a detachment that he didn’t really feel. Complete darkness settled around them and Harry, feeling that the memory was over, whispered ‘Evancesco’ and they were wrenched from the memoirs.

They found themselves laying on Harry’s bed, back in reality. Harry held Ginny tighter when he noticed the look of abject horror on her face. He couldn’t believe that his fun-loving grandmother had been a victim of the dementor’s kiss but Ginny was his top priority.

“Come back to me,” he whispered desperately in her ear while closing her eyes, they had not stopped darting around the room since they got back. “Ginny…please,” he begged.

Ginny began to take deeper breaths, blinking several times. She reached for him as her tears began to fall. They laid in each others arms for hours, as their tears dried up. Holding, comforting, and just being there for one another. As dawn began to creep through the curtains Harry pulled away just enough to get a good view of Ginny’s face. He stroked her cheek with his hand and she leaned into it, clearly needing his strength.

“Gin…” he did not complete his thought but instead kissed the soft tenderness that was her lips.
Betrayal Amongst Friends by Wise Owl
Harry lost track of his surroundings as he concentrated his attention solely on kissing Ginny. He did not notice when Hermione opened the door to wake him up, though Ginny did. She pushed him off her with a force that sent him off the edge of the bed and hurtling to the ground. At first he feared that this was her reaction to his kiss. He was actually quite relieved when he saw a shocked Hermione standing in the doorframe. His relief quickly turned to embarrassment for having been caught in such a compromising situation.

“He’s not in here!” Hermione shouted the pitch of her voice higher than normal. Before Harry or Ginny had the chance to explain what was going on she backtracked out of the room. They heard her suggesting to Ron that they check the kitchen and were relieved to hear the distant sounds of the pair descending the stairs.

Harry looked at Ginny’s stunned face. “That was close,” he told her, beginning to see a bit of humor in the situation.

“I have to go,” Ginny announced to the room in general before sprinting out with all haste.

At first he felt let down by her abrupt departure, but soon he saw the wisdom of it. If Ron, or any Weasley for that matter, returned to check his room again…well, he definitely didn’t want them to find Ginny there in her nightgown. As he showered he relived his kiss with Ginny, savoring every last detail. The bar of soap flew out of his hand and hit his eyes when the sound of loud, angry knocks reached his ears. He wondered if whoever was outside the bathroom was simply trying to break the door down.

“Who is it?”

“Harry! I need to talk to you!” Hermione’s agitated voice came from behind the door.

“Be out in a minute,” he grumbled.

“What?”

“I said I’ll be out in a minute!”

“Well, make sure you are!”

Harry hurried through the rest of his shower and got dressed in a flash. His hair was still dripping and his eyes still stinging when he exited the bathroom. Hermione sat cross-legged on his bed wearing an expression of great hostility.

“Hi, there…” Harry said with great trepidation.

“I am very disappointed in you,” Hermione told him with a glare that suggested that he had better not feign ignorance as to why.

Harry took a seat at the edge of his bed. “Look, it’s not what you think, alright?”

“I think you kissed Ginny.”

“Erm…I guess it is what you think,” he gave her a charming smile.

“Don’t you feel bad?” Hermione gave him a piercing look.

Harry shrugged. “Actually, I’m feeling rather nice.”

Obviously this was not the answer she wanted to hear, for she narrowed her eyes menacingly. “I suppose you enjoy kissing girls who are already in a committed relationship?”

“What’s that Hermione? You want to have a go?” He responded in an off the cuff manner and was highly amused as Hermione’s face turned scarlet.

“It’s not funny!”

Harry thought it was rather funny and gave a bit of a chuckle at her reaction.

“What if it was Ron that had come to get you instead of me?”

That possibility quickly wiped the smirk from Harry’s face.

“Not so amusing now, is it?”

He could tell Hermione was baiting him, but didn’t know why.

“Do you think Ginny is better off with Dean?”

Hermione was not at all surprised by his question and immediately pounced. “Ginny is better off with a guy who will not break her heart!”

“I wouldn’t break her heart!” Harry felt himself getting extremely riled up by Hermione’s presumptuousness.

“Oh well then…I feel so much better,” Hermione bit back sarcastically.

“Why are you so mad?” Harry considered himself highly betrayed by Hermione. Why was she tearing him limb for limb? If anything, she should have been happy that he and Ginny were getting together. Hermione settled down upon sensing his bewilderment.

“Harry,” she began in a much more subdued tone. “You and Ron have always been my best friends. Ginny, she’s the closest thing I’ve ever had to a female best friend. If you began to date her…and ended up breaking her heart…whose side would Ron take? Even I, well, you would be putting me between a rock and a very hard place…don’t you think?”

Harry wasn’t really concerned about her or Ron’s feelings; his only concern was why she was so certain he was going to break Ginny’s heart.

“Why would I want to hurt Ginny?”

“Oh Harry I didn’t mean it like that!” Hermione looked surprised by his conclusion. “It’s not that you want to hurt her…it’s that you most likely will.”

He didn’t really see the difference but signaled her to continue anyways.

“Harry, she told me what you think about her.” Hermione looked away in shame as she confessed this to him.

“What do I think?” Harry asked, sure that they were at last getting to the heart of the problem.

“You like her, but Voldemort is a higher priority.” Hermione looked solemnly at him.

“That’s what she told you?” Harry double-checked.

Hermione nodded a tinge of redness sneaking back into her face.

“Now you listen to me,” Harry looked Hermione straight in the eyes, “I am in love with Ginny Weasley.”

Hermione’s jaw dropped at the highly unexpected announcement. She blubbered for a moment, unable to get the words she wanted to say in order. Harry used this to his advantage and continued.

“Ginny is my highest priority. I stay away from her in the hope that Voldemort will do so as well.”

“He won’t!” Hermione shouted, suddenly getting the power of speech back. “Even in her first year, when you had no feelings for her whatsoever, he used and almost killed her! As for now, her family practically makes up the Order! She’ll never be safe from him! Besides that he has a history of hunting down and murdering Volcens! To say she’s safer without you…it’s crazy! You haven’t cut off your friendship with me or Ron on account of Voldemort, so why do that to Ginny?”

He considered how nice it had been for the one moment that Hermione had not been able to speak, than he considered her undeniable logic. Ginny was greatly at risk despite his presence in her life. Being with her would better enable him to protect her, and it would have its own rewards to boot. He grinned as he came to his final decision on the matter.

“I’m going to be with Ginny.”

Hermione’s eyes got watery and she wore a wide smile on her face. “Than you should know I’m going to stand by your side…there’s no way she’d be better off with Dean!”

Harry was pleasantly surprised when Hermione threw her arms around him for a hug. If she was on his side, it would be easy to persuade Ginny that he wanted to be with her. The sound of the door crashing open and the sight of Ron skidding into the room sent Harry to his feet. Through Ron’s heavy breathing Harry deciphered to words “Ginny” and “screaming”. He went running from the room with Ron and Hermione at his heels. The scene they arrived to was quite puzzling. Ginny stood, red-faced, with her wand pointed threateningly at the crowd trying to get near her. Harry noticed the amulet in her left hand seconds before she sent it crashing to the ground.

“I know you hear me Gaia and Voltara!!! When I find out which one of you did it…”

Ginny began to breathe heavily and Harry ran to grab a hold of her.

“I know you listening!” She continued to yell, though this time through her sobs.

“Ginny, what’s the matter?” Harry asked.

He was certain that she was purposefully refusing to look at him.

“Why would you do it? WHY!” She slowly slid to the ground as her anger and pain overtook her.

“What did they do Ginny?” Mrs. Weasley asked cautiously.

“They betrayed her,” Ginny answered through her sobs.

“Betrayed who?” Tonks ventured into the conversation.

Ginny shook her head adamantly, pressing her lips together. Harry didn’t feel that it was right to push her but Ron did so anyhow.

“Who did they betray Ginny? Just tell us,” he demanded from his sister. She refused to say a word, but the anguish on her face spoke volumes.

“What did they do?” Hermione asked, clearly trying to get answers from Ginny using a different technique.

“They betrayed her!” Ginny moaned.

“How did they betray her?” Hermione pressed her luck.

“They told him!”

“Who did they tell?” Fred asked.

“HIM!” Ginny yelled, as though who ‘he’ was should be perfectly apparent.

“What did they tell him?” Hermione cut Fred off before he could further anger Ginny.

Harry was certain that Ginny was not going to answer, but she did.

“That she was a Volcen,” Ginny whispered in the most hushed tone.

Harry could not take the third-degree that Ginny was getting from the crowd. He took her face into his hands and turned her so she looked him directly in his eyes. She tried to pull away but he held her firmly in his grip.

“Who was a Volcen?”

Ginny gave an audible sob but continued to look him straight in the eyes as she whispered, “Your mother.”

Harry was quite positive that his ears needed cleaning out, had she just said that his mother was a Volcen?

“She was,” Ginny whimpered, “believe me.”

“How do you know?” Harry couldn’t help but to ask the question on everyone’s mind.

“In the memory…” Ginny began.

“Yes?” Harry encouraged her to continue.

“…she fought them.”

“Who did she fight?” he asked, feeling highly perplexed.

“…the dementors.”

“Wha…?” Harry didn’t fully get the question out before Ginny jumped up.

“She fought the dementors! She vessel-voyaged into the dementor that had your grandmother’s soul and ripped it from him!”

“How can that…?”

Tonks seemed to grasp what Ginny was saying before anyone else. “You mean to say that Lily Potter was a Volcen and either Gaia or Voltara betrayed her to he-who-must-not-be-named?”

Ginny nodded her head so fast that it hurt Harry to look at her.

“Did you go into the memoirs with Harry?” Lupin asked.

“Yeah, she did,” Harry responded.

“I see,” Lupin said calmly. “I always wondered what happened that day. I’m pleased to know that Emma’s soul was not stolen away.”

Harry gaped at Lupin. Seeing this, Lupin smiled at him.

“Surely you noticed that your mother was being targeted by Voldemort’s minions?” When Harry shook his head Lupin persisted, “Didn’t you notice anything strange about the circumstances surrounding her? Every time there was danger she would become unconscious right away. I must say, that was a dead giveaway as far as I was concerned. Only a Volcen would abandon her body in a fight, choosing instead to utilize her abilities to her advantage.”

“You knew?” Harry said in an accusatory voice.

“How could I not?” Lupin returned the question. “I confess, I hoped you would share that particular memory with Ginny.”

“Why?” Harry asked in complete shock.

“She is the only one that could tell us for sure if Lily was, as I suspected, a Volcen.”

“That’s why you’ve had Tonks watching me,” Ginny accused Lupin, “You think I’m going to betray the Order!”

“NO!” Lupin yelled out earnestly. “I know you are completely loyal to the Order! When you told Tonks that Gaia contacted you I was seized by the same suspicions that you now have. I knew that either she or your Voltara had betrayed Lily. I worried that they would do the same to you.”

“But Gaia was an Order member!” Harry shouted, his mind quickly absorbing the information that Lupin was giving them.

“As was Wormtail!” Lupin retorted furiously. “Betrayal within the Order is not unheard of!”
One Werewolf Short by Wise Owl
Harry watched the scene before him as though he were having an out of body experience. Ginny was drying the newly washed dishes that his aunt was churning out of the sink at an alarming rate. Mrs. Weasley busied herself with sweeping and mopping the floor of the kitchen until it sparkled. Even Hermione carried a rag with her as she dusted every surface within her reach. Ron had opted to put up some Christmas decorations as a show of festivity, though the gloominess of those around him meant that his effort was little appreciated. Fred and George had left for the day, insisting that they needed to get some work done in their shop at Hogsmeade.

Dudley, Vernon and the Prewetts were taking quick naps before they were due to return to St. Mungo’s to check on Mafalda. Generally, the atmosphere of number Twelve Grimmauld Place was highly charged and close to combustion. Mainly this was because he, Harry, had reacted very badly to the news that Ginny had given him earlier that day. He had accused Lupin, the closest person he had to a father, of being a traitor. No one had really anticipated how severe his reaction would be, including Harry himself. Hexing Lupin had been a grave error; Harry decided, thinking back on the mornings’ events.

Pigheaded or not, he still refused to apologize for the actions he had taken. Lupin had put Ginny in grave danger and Harry felt the need to protect her overwhelm him. If he had been armed with the knowledge that either Gaia or Voltara had betrayed his mother’s identity as a Volcen to Voldemort, thereby making her a target for his followers…he would have kept Ginny far from Volcency, by any means necessary. Lupin, on the other hand, had used Ginny, and that was inexcusable. None of that really mattered now, not since Lupin had gone missing. Half the Order was out scouring the country for him, but they had come up with nothing.

Harry was rather certain that no one would be able to find Lupin if he did not want to be found. Lupin’s disappearance was not the only reason that the inhabitants of number Twelve Grimmauld Place were so volatile. The main reason for their agitation had occurred in the very kitchen that they were now scrubbing spotless. After the initial search for Lupin had proven hopeless, Tonks had come after Harry in a fit of rage demanding that he write an apology to him. Harry refused and did her one better. He had forbidden her to give Ginny any more Volcen lessons. Things had escalated quickly from there and both had drawn their wands.

Any fighting had been quickly diverted when Fawkes arrived with a message that Dumbledore would be arriving later that night to deal with the situation. Still in a huff, Tonks left with Kingsley Shacklebolt to continue searching for Lupin. Ginny had surprised everyone by siding with Harry, she felt that the Order had used her and put her in harms way for their own selfish motives. Mrs. Weasley reserved judgment, waiting to hear what Dumbledore would say before withdrawing her family from the Order. Shortly after Dumbledore’s missive, a note from Percy had arrived. The ministry had dismissed Harry’s use of underage magic citing it as defense against a dangerous dark creature.

Harry bristled with some discomfiture when he realized that they classified Lupin as a “dangerous dark creature”. He felt both offended and relieved by the Ministry’s reaction. At least it was one less thing he would have to worry about. The ringing of the doorbell had them all looking anxiously at one another. Mrs. Weasley came to with the second ring and hurried to let Dumbledore in. Within seconds of Dumbledore’s arrival, the rest of the Order members were ringing the door bell and coming into the house in groups of two’s and three’s. Finally they congregated in the kitchen, conjuring chairs out of thin air and arranged their seats around Dumbledore.

All the while Dumbledore and Harry took no notice of this. They were locked in a silent battle of wills each attempting to stare the other down. Harry was deeply affronted by Dumbledore’s assuredness and was determined to out-glare him. He felt highly let down by the man he had always considered a mentor. If he couldn’t trust Dumbledore with Ginny, and it was clear that he could not, than he would shoulder the task of protecting her all on his own. Harry felt a moment of euphoria when Dumbledore broke their eye contact but quickly realized that he had only done so to begin the meeting.

“I see that Remus will not be joining us for this impromptu gathering,” he commented with a slight nod of his head at the empty seat next to Tonks.

“We couldn’t find him,” she told Dumbledore while shooting Harry a nasty look.

“That is neither here nor there at this time Nymphadora. He is fully aware of all the things that I will be divulging tonight.”

Dumbledore’s statement was met with eager faces. Most everyone leaned forward in their seat, eyes riveted on Dumbledore.

“I suspect you have all heard, in varying degrees of accuracy, about the events that transpired this morning between Harry Potter, Ginny Weasley, and Remus Lupin?”

Some people nodded adamantly while others looked hesitantly around before nodding as well. Taking their tentativeness into account, Harry guessed that the latter of the two groups were those who heard about the events in “varying degrees of accuracy”.

“I have always preferred bold truth to idle gossip. Therefore I must ask you, Miss Weasley, would you relate the memory that Mr. Potter shared with you today, as you saw it, to the Order?”

Ginny seemed surprised that Dumbledore had addressed her and quickly did as he requested. Ten minutes later, Harry sat in utter shock. Their view of things up until the dementor attack was identical, though their account once the attack began could not have been more different.

“That’s when everything went dark. Lily probably sensed it first, being that dementors are our natural enemy. She gave up her body right away and went on the attack. Professor Lup…that is to say, Lupin, attempted to conjure a Patronus. He failed. The dementors were coming around Lily’s younger sister Petunia. I was certain that they would perform the kiss on her. I even forgot that I had just seen her in the future, I mean now, the present. Anyhow, Lily fought them off rather spectacularly. Professor Tonks had told me that Volcens are able to fight dementors using their soul like a Patronus, but I had never seen it.”

“Wait a minute,” Harry interrupted. “I saw Lupin conjure a Patronus, it was weak, but I saw it.”

Tonks rolled her eyes and didn’t wait for Ginny to respond to him.

“What you saw was Lily’s soul,” she looked at Ginny, “I expect you were overwhelmed with the amount of light around you.”

“It was completely dark,” Harry told her rudely.

“Actually, yes,” Ginny answered as though he had never spoken. “I felt like I was going blind when Lily began to fight the dementors.”

“Solbrillo,” Tonks crossed her arms looking self-satisfied, “the brilliant light that marks a Volcen-Dementor battle ground.”

“Right, we’ve talked about that,” Ginny commented. “I felt like I wanted to join the fight but Harry kept whispering that we were in a memory so I did nothing.”

“When a Volcen ensues a battle with dementors, they radiate Solbrillo to call for help from their fellow Volcens,” Dumbledore explained Ginny’s strange remark to the confused Order members, “so your desire to want to join the battle is only natural.”

“No one came to help her,” Ginny told Dumbledore.

“I don’t expect they did,” he replied in a thoughtful tone. “Please tell us what took place once Lily fought the dementors from her sister.”

“Well, she noticed that…that they were taking…Mrs. Potter’s soul.”

The Order members shot each other startled looks and leaned closer so they could catch every word; even Snape, who Harry had not taken notice of, was enthralled by Ginny’s tale.

“How did she get it back?” Dumbledore asked in a tone that suggested that he did not know the answer to this question.

“She ripped it from them,” Ginny said, shrugging her shoulders.

“But how?” Tonks reiterated Dumbledore’s quandary.

Ginny looked to be getting frustrated by their lack of understanding so Dumbledore tried another tactic.

“What does it mean to rip a soul, Ginny?”

Ginny bit her lips for a moment and studied Harry’s face. Finally she turned back to the crowd that was staring adamantly at her.

“You know how side-along apparation works? One person knows how to apparate and the other doesn’t. So the person who knows how to apparate gets a good grip on the one who doesn’t, and somehow they both end up apparating.”

“Yes?” Dumbledore encouraged her.

“Well, let’s say I want to vessel-voyage…but I want to take someone with me. I can enter their body, get a ‘grip’ on their soul, and take them vessel-voyaging with me.”

“But that’s unheard of,” Tonks shot out of her chair, “studies on Volcens would have revealed if they had that sort of power!”

“I believe,” Dumbledore’s eyes lost their sparkle as he gazed at Ginny, “that nowadays, we refer to that as murder.”

“I believe we do,” Ginny responded.

“Lily murdered Emma Potter? That’s impossible!” Mrs. Weasley cried out looking extremely alarmed.

“No mother! She did not take Mrs. Potter from her own body! She took her from a dementor! She freed her soul to pass on the next world! Otherwise she would have been trapped living the life of a soul-less being!”

“…and that is why she died after the dementor attack instead of remaining alive yet soul-less,” Dumbledore mumbled as he worked it out. “It is no wonder that Remus was certain Lily was keeping a secret. He was always a bright young man. Besides that he himself was keeping his werewolf identity a secret. He was bound to notice when others were acting in a secretive fashion as he often did.”

“Why didn’t he just confront her if he had a suspicion?” Harry bellowed out.

“Angering a Volcen,” Dumbledore offered Ginny a gentle smile, “not a wise course of action, I’m afraid.”

“I want to know who betrayed her,” Ginny spoke up.

Dumbledore shook his head, “Your guess is as good, and in truth it is probably better than mine.”

“What do you mean betrayed her?” Tonks jumped in.

“Two attacks on her within a years time is too much of a coincidence,” Ginny replied tersely. “Either Gaia or Voltara sold her out to Voldemort then he sent his goons to kill her.”

“But when he came to kill me he told her to step aside! He didn’t care about killing her…”

“He probably didn’t even know it was her, Harry.” Ginny raked her hands through her hair.

“I expect he was solely concentrated on you that night,” Dumbledore told him.

“She must have done something to make you survive the killing curse!” Tonks shouted out, her excitement getting the better of her.

“Of that, we can be sure,” Dumbledore muttered before turning to face Ginny. “As we were saying earlier, either Evalene, your Voltara I mean, or Gaia must have given Voldemort Lily’s name. Though I wish it were not so one of the two betrayed her.”

“It couldn’t possibly be Voltara!” Tonks bounced on the soles of her shoes. “Professor, you know her from your past! I know her as well! Ginny has never come to harm under her guidance! If she wanted to, Voltara could have destroyed us all but she would never do such a thing!”

“Than you suggest that it is Gaia that is the traitor?” Dumbledore asked wearily.

“Of course!” Tonks shouted as though it was the obvious solution.

“I am afraid that there is, perhaps, one person who would not agree with you.”

“Who?” Tonks enquired looking thoroughly annoyed.

“Remus Lupin,” Dumbledore announced, “Gaia was his fiancée.”
The Gamekeeper Return’s by Wise Owl
Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sat in their compartment on the Hogwarts Express in utter silence. This was a change as they had been doing nothing but talking about and considering the ramifications of the Order meeting that they had been allowed to attend. Tonks had stormed out of the meeting after denying Dumbledore’s announcement that Lupin was affianced to Gaia. They hadn’t seen her or Lupin for the rest of break.

Dumbledore had also informed them that, irregardless of Harry’s objections, Ginny would be continuing Volcen lessons so long as she attended Hogwarts. In the end, Hermione had calmed Harry down by pointing out that as Ginny’s powers increased, her dependency on her fellow Volcen’s would decrease. Besides, she still couldn’t conjure a proper Patronus, so learning how to fight off dementors through Solbrillo was a good idea.

That wasn’t what had them sitting quietly though. As Harry and Ron were purchasing cauldron cakes and licorice wands from the lady with the sweet cart in the hallway a gleeful Malfoy flanked by his cronies had shown up with news that had devastated them, Tonks had resigned her position as Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Harry looked at Ginny but she refused to meet his eye. He knew she blamed him for Tonks’ resignation. If he had not blown up on Lupin, they would not be in this mess.

Hermione was most concerned about who the new professor would be. She feared that whoever it was, he or she would not know the subject of Volcency as well as Tonks did. Ron was the only one that shared Harry’s fear, that Lupin and Tonks would withdraw from the Order and leave them to deal with the mess they had created.

“Better get in your school robes,” Hermione broke the silence as the train made the final bends before coming to a complete stop.

They dressed, grabbed their trunks, and joined the crowds milling in the hallway waiting for the doors to open. Once the doors flung open, the students spilled out of the train in all haste. Everyone seemed excited to be going back to Hogwarts.

“Firs’ years! Over here,” a gruff voice came from beside the lake.

Harry shot Ron an incredulous look, could it possibly be…?

“HAGRID!” Hermione screamed as she and Ginny took off in a run, throwing themselves into the outstretched arms of Rubeus Hagrid.

Hagrid chortled for a bit while Ron and Harry hastily joined the group hug. When at last they all broke apart, Hagrid stood up and gestured to a single boat in the lake.

“Thought I’d give you lot a real treat,” he told them.

They followed him and jumped into the boat. In the moonlight Harry noticed how much wilder Hagrid was looking. His beard and hair stood literally on end. What they could see of his face had cuts, scars, and bruises. He looked to have lost some weight as well.

“How have you been doing, Hagrid?” Hermione asked, observing the same things that Harry had taken note of.

“Been doin’ well, I ‘ave!” Hagrid boasted with a hearty laugh. “’Cept I been worryin’ about you all…heard you’ve been causin’ trouble for poor Dumbledore.”

Ron and Harry shifted uncomfortably on their seat.

“So your mission is going alright?” Harry asked, trying to get the attention off of the mistakes that he and his friends had made.

“I won’t lie, it’s hasn’t been easy. It’s been rewarding though. Never thought I’d live to see the day when giants would unite.”

Harry looked at Hagrid’s scars and bruises more carefully, “You sure they’ve united?”

“I’m not sayin’ there haven’t been a few scuffles here an’ there,” Hagrid said when he caught Harry’s gaze, “but they’ve formed into a pack and elected a leader…I think there’s real hope for them.”

“Do you think they’re prepared to take on Voldemort’s giants?” Harry asked.

Hagrid contemplated this for a minute. “I say give them a year and they’ll be in top fighten’ form.”

“A year!” Ron jumped in, startled by Hagrid’s response. “Who knows what Voldemort could have done in a year’s time?”

“It’s why I’m here,” Hagrid told them, “workin’ out some strategies with Dumbledore. Speaking of which,” he turned his smile on Ginny, “been hearin’ some mighty impressive stuff about you…”

Ginny gave a tentative smile that didn’t fool anyone. She then launched into an explanation, helped by Ron and Hermione, about everything that had taken place since term started.

“So you see,” Ron was saying to Hagrid, “it’s not our fault that Tonks quit and they’re bound to find Lupin soon.” The girls nodded adamantly at Ron’s words. As they began to walk towards the castle Hagrid slowed down until he and Harry were a fair distance behind the others.

“Yer awfully quiet,” he remarked.

“I suppose you think I should write Lupin an apology?” Harry stated rather than asking.

“I think yer conscious would be feelin’ a lot better if ya did.”

Harry put his hands in his pocket and let his head fall down a little. He knew that Hagrid was right.

“I thought Lupin would know that…” Harry trailed off.

“That ya didn’t mean it?” Hagrid finished his thought. “I’m sure he does, but sometimes it’s nice to hear it.”

“How long will you be staying Hagrid?” Harry felt a twinge of sadness at the thought of Hagrid leaving. He realized how much he had come to depend on him for support.

“’Spect I’ll be here a few days or so,” Hagrid said as he scratched his beard, “Professor Grubby-Plank will be unable to fill in fer Charlie so Dumbledore’s asked me to stay on.”

“What?” Harry looked in surprise at Hagrid. “Where’s Charlie gone to?”

“Dumbledore’s sent ‘em after Tonks,” Hagrid told him in a whisper. “To try an’ get her to come back to her job. She’s not talkin’ to Lupin from what I hear, an’ I finally understand why. I don’t expect she took it well when she found out he was engaged.”

“No, actually she stormed out of Grimmauld Place,” Harry told him in confidence, “but she didn’t quit because of that, did she?”

Hagrid smiled at the skeptical look Harry had on his face. “Women! Ya ruddy well can’t live with them!”

“…and you can’t live without them?” Harry finished the phrase off for Hagrid.

“Nah ya just can’t live with ‘em!” Hagrid said as they walked up the steps of the castle and into the entry way where Professor McGonagall met them anxiously.

“Really Hagrid, you should have asked me before taking my students…”

“I got it cleared through Dumbledore, Minerva. An’ here they are all in one piece, no harm done.”

The harsh look Professor McGonagall was wearing softened after she carefully inspected Hagrid’s appearance.

“No harm done,” she agreed affectionately, “but for now, you all go to bed before the other student’s find out how late you arrived!”

After wishing Hagrid a hasty good night they all made there way to the Gryffindor common room. Harry heard Hagrid offer McGonagall a nightcap as they were hurrying up the stairs and grinned. It was good to have Hagrid back, if only for a little while.


The following morning Harry and Ron met Hermione in the common room before heading off to breakfast. She told them that Ginny had gone to breakfast with Dean, much to Harry consternation. He realized that with all the excitement at Grimmauld Place, he and Hermione had no time to formulate a plan to get Ginny to break up with Dean. He didn’t let this worry him as entered the Great Hall. The first chance he got, he would schedule Ron for Keeper practice and sneak off to the library with his girlfriend so that they could put their heads together in peace.

As Harry took a seat next to Ron, he noticed out of the corner of his eye that Dean was darting out of the Great Hall wearing a furious expression. Harry gave Hermione a raised eyebrow but she pointed to Ginny who was trying to chase after Dean. She wore a guilty look on her face. Harry mouthed ‘you don’t think she told him’ to Hermione over Ron’s head. They really did not need to worry about Ron as he was busily wolfing his food down, but they kept up the charade all the same. ‘About the kiss?’ Hermione mouthed back just as wordlessly. Harry nodded. Hermione nodded in turn.

Harry took that to mean that she thought Ginny had told Dean about him kissing her. He gave a smirk as he loaded his plate full of food, maybe he wouldn’t have to schedule Ron for Keeper practice after all.


Harry and Ron trudged along after Hermione making their way to double potions. Harry massaged his stomach, feeling that he had, perhaps, overindulged on the eggs. They were among the first to arrive and settled into their seats.

“I wonder what sadistic thing Snape has planned for us,” Ron muttered to Harry as Hermione took her textbook out from her bag and placed it in the center of the desk.

“Ron, weren’t you listening before break began when he told us we would be working on…”

But what Snape had told them, Harry never found out. Something hard and very solid collided with his jaw sending him sprawling to the floor as Hermione screamed. With reflexes born of a natural quidditch player he hopped onto his feet to face his attacker.

“What the hell is the matter with you?” Ron yelled at Dean, looking as though he was gearing up to join the fight.

“It’s none of your business,” Dean told Ron in a scathing voice, “this is between us,” he signaled to himself and Harry.

“Fighting is not going to resolve the issue!” Hermione injected posthaste.

“Keep out of it Granger,” Dean warned.

Ron began to roll up his sleeves but Harry quickly said, “Keep out of it Ron.”

Looking as though he were missing all the fun, Ron shrugged his shoulders and took a seat on the desk, as the chairs were now turned over and in various spots within the room. Dean made to punch Harry once more but Harry ducked and pummeled into Dean, carrying him until his back hit the wall with a loud thud.

“Stop it!” Seamus shouted, jumping from foot to foot.

Lavender and Parvati, who had just entered the dungeon, were barely missed by the chair that Dean threw Harry’s way. As Harry looked to check that they were alright, Dean punched him in the gut, sending him back to the floor. Dean looked triumphantly at Harry, thinking he had won the fight, but Harry grabbed a hold of Dean’s right foot and pulled it hard sending Dean smashing hard on his derriere. Dean attacked Harry and they found themselves scuffling around as though they were in a wrestling match. Harry had Dean in a headlock when the sound of frosty ‘well, well, well’ brought him to.

He and Dean instantly sprung apart, each fully aware that Snape had just walked in. Harry surveyed the scene around him with some despair. Seats were scattered around and tables turned over. The students were lined along the outer edges of the dungeons. Only Malfoy looked happier than Snape, who Harry knew to be holding back his delight. Harry used his sleeve to wipe the blood from his nose as Snape inspected his classroom fully.

“It seems Mr. Potter and Mr. Thomas decided to use my classroom as an arena, which it is not. But than, Mr. Potter has always had a certain disregard for the rules that run this school.”

Harry saw Hermione flinch as though she herself was receiving the reprimand, but he kept his eyes firmly fixed on Snape.

“I would think you would have been expelled by now…that is, if you were not so indiscriminately favored above the rest. However, you can rest assured that I will be speaking to your Head of House about this and with the headmaster as well. I believe a month’s worth of detentions and fifty points a piece is in order.”

Dean spit some blood out of his mouth and Snape gave him a look of disgust.

“Get to Madame Pomfrey; I expect she’ll want to have a look at you.”

Dean left, shooting Harry a stare that could kill. With a flick of his wand Snape set the dungeon back in order and commanded everyone to take their seats.

“That means you as well, Potter.”
Just Another Dean by Wise Owl
The evening following the fight found Harry and Ron zooming around the quidditch pitch in the blistering cold of the winter sky. They were performing some rather spectacular moves when Ginny and Hermione, bundled up in coats, scarves, and gloves, gestured for them to join them on the pitch. Harry landed and hobbled over to where the girls stood. The aches of his body amused him rather than concerned. Mainly, they had been caused by Ron’s short temper.

Earlier that evening as he, Harry, had sat brooding in the common room, Ron had suggested they go outside for some one-on-one quidditch practice. Harry had taken this as a gesture of solidarity and the two made their way to the pitch, stopping by the changing room to pick up the spare quidditch balls. When they were finally in the air Ron hit a bludger rather hard in Harry’s direction. It hit him squarely in the shoulder. Harry assumed that it was an accident.

Not long thereafter, another bludger had hit him on the side of his head. This time he knew it had to be intentional and made to yell at Ron, but before he could do so, a third bludger hit him in the stomach knocking the wind out of him. He landed on the pitch to get some air and Ron landed smugly behind him. Finally when he had enough air to speak, but not enough to pummel his best friend, Harry asked, “What was that for?”

“Well,” Ron commented as he leaned against a post, “the first one is for kissing another guys girl.” He ducked as Harry threw his firebolt at him. “The second one is because that girl was my sister!” Harry did not retaliate for the second hit he had received.

“And the third one?” Harry asked feeling somewhat amused.

“The third one is for offering to snog my girlfriend,” Ron said as he threw Harry’s broom back at him. Harry found the third reason particularly amusing and rolled around on the floor laughing for a bit. He only got up when Ron began shooting bludgers at him from the air once more. They then had a rather splendid game of one-on-one quidditch and were practicing their best moves when the girls had appeared.

“Harry! Are you alright?” Hermione asked in concern when she noticed his limping gait.

“Splendid,” he responded with a wink to Ron.

“Here,” Ginny said, shoving a rolled up parchment into his numb fingers.

“What’s this?” Harry asked as he opened it.

“Snape told me to give it to you,” she said in an upset voice.

“Is that your detention assignment?” Ron asked Harry amicably enough.

“Yeah,” Harry said, his face falling as he read it.

“Well?” Hermione asked as little tufts of white air burst in front of her face from the cold, “What do you have to do?”

“Clean the potions class everyday for the next month,” Harry sighed.

“With both you and Dean, it should take an hour tops,” Ron told him in an attempt to lighten his spirits.

“I suppose so,” Harry said as he cast Ginny an apprehensive look.

Before he had the chance to ask Ginny to talk privately she said her goodbyes and trudged back up the field to the castle.

“What’s her hurry?” Ron asked as they made their way to Hagrid’s for dinner.

“She has to give Dean his detention note,” Hermione told them with a dark look on her face, “Snape is pure evil.”

Harry shared Hermione’s loathing of Snape. Clearly Snape had discovered that he and Dean had been fighting over Ginny and now he was sending her to give them their detention slips. It was cruel.

“How is Ginny doing?” Harry ventured tentatively.

“Worse than she looks,” Hermione responded, “Dean won’t talk to her at all.”

“What does she care?” Ron asked looking confused. “Now that he’s broken up with her she can be with Harry.” He cast Harry a warning look, “You do want to be with her, right?”

“Of course!” Harry answered hastily.

“What makes you think they’ve broken up?” Hermione asked them with some irritation in her voice.

“She kissed another guy!” Ron pointed out.

She didn’t kiss anyone. I believe it was the other guy that kissed her,” Hermione stated firmly.

“Is that true?” Ron asked Harry, taking great pains not to look at his friend. The topic was clearly embarrassing him.

“Um, I suppose so,” Harry answered in all honesty. “Hey,” he said, turning to face Hermione, “I thought you were on my side.”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “I am on your side! I just don’t want people to go around thinking Ginny is a trollop.”

“She’s not!” Harry shouted hotly.

“That’s what I’m saying,” Hermione replied as she reached up to knock on Hagrid’s door.

After the second knock the door swung open revealing the disheveled interior of Hagrid’s home.

“Been expectin’ you,” Hagrid told them, “What’re you lettin’ the cold air in for? Come in, come in!”

As they filed in Hagrid returned to something that was brewing in the fire. It took Fang a moment to recognize them, but when he did he covered them in slobber with his overenthusiastic greeting. Meanwhile, Hagrid put on dragon-hide gloves and reached into the fire to bring out the cauldron. As he settled it onto the center of the dining table he gave Harry a thorough once-over. Harry felt as though he had been manhandled.

“Looks like the rumors were true,” Hagrid said as he took off his gloves, “Yeh been fightin’ with the Thomas boy?”

It wasn’t a really question, more of an accusation.

“He started it!” Ron interceded on Harry’s behalf.

“From what I heard,” Hagrid stated ominously, “It was Harry that started it, by kissin’ his girl.”

“That still doesn’t give him the right to hit him!” Hermione piped up.

Hagrid, Ron, and Harry all gave her a quizzical look.

“Right,” she said throwing up her hands, “that’s girl logic.”

“Exactly,” Ron said as Hermione scowled at him. “I’d beat the snot out of anyone that even tried to kiss you,” he told her.

Hermione blushed rather prettily and couldn’t hide the grin that crept onto her face.

“A bit more goin’ on than you lot told me about?” Hagrid asked with a smile.

“Hermione and Ron are…together,” Harry finished lamely.

“Congratulations!” Hagrid beamed at the two of them. “Jus’ make sure yeh don’ rush things,” he advised.

“Don’t worry Hagrid,” Hermione reassured him, “we’re taking things slow.”

“Yeah, slow as a snail,” Ron added. “Not that I don’t like that,” he said at Hermione’s frown.

Hagrid gave a small laugh as his eyes fell onto Harry, “I suppose yer chasin’ after Ginny ‘cause of these two.”

“I am not!” Harry replied fiercely.

“Well it’s a good thing Charlie wasn’t here to hear about yer little tryst with Ginny, else he would’ve broken you in two.”

Harry rubbed his aching back and muttered, “Don’t worry, Ron was here to see to that.”

Hearing this, Hermione sat up in her chair, “Ron! You promised!”

Ron, for the time being, took a greater interest in Fang scratching him vigorously behind the ear.

“Any news on Tonks?” Harry asked Hagrid in an attempt to rid them of the disquieting conversation they were currently having.

“To tell yeh the truth,” Hagrid said as he got the bowls from the kitchen cabinet, “Charlie’s only just found her.”

“He’s found her?” Hermione said startled, forgetting her previous anger.

“Yeh,” Hagrid elaborated, “she’s been hidden out in their old home.”

“In their what?” Harry asked loudly.

“Oh,” Ron said in apparent comprehension. “So that’s where she’s been.”

“What are you talking about?” Hermione asked, looking as though she might hurt them if she didn’t get some answers.

“It’s no big deal,” Ron responded hastily, “after they finished Hogwarts Charlie, Tonks, and a couple of their mates rented a home in London. It was really for convenience, they needed to be near the Ministry. Tonks was training to be an Auror and Charlie was working on getting a grant from the Ministry so he could go study Dragons in Romania. Besides, it was a terrible old house. Way worse than the Burrow, but it was all they could afford.”

“And you claim nothing happened between them?” Hermione questioned Ron. “With the way Charlie’s been after her how can that be?”

Hagrid gave a hearty laugh, “Been after her has he? Well I’m glad there’s someone listenin’ to my advice.”

“You told him to go after her?” Harry said in an accusatory voice.

“’Course I did,” Hagrid said waving the question away, “poor girl is smitten with him. It’s ‘bout time he makes her dreams come true.”

“Hagrid!” Hermione chastised him. “What about Lupin?”

“What ‘bout him?” Hagrid asked.

Hermione sputtered for a moment at the curt response, “Tonks is with him now!”

Hagrid looked as though this were inconsequential. “He loved Gaia with a passion that yeh could not understand. Now, seein’ as she’s alive, I’m sure there ain’t nothin’ he won’ do to find her.”

“What about Tonks?” Hermione asked abhorred by what Hagrid was saying.

“Tonks belongs with Charlie,” Hagrid said this with certain finality, “Jus’ like Ginny belongs with Harry. Lupin’s jus’ another Dean. Besides, he’s got Gaia back.”

Hagrid’s pronouncement rang in their ears as they settled down to eat the porridge and biscuits.


“Do you think Hagrid’s right about Charlie and Tonks?” Harry asked Ron as they were getting ready to go to bed.

“I know he is,” Ron replied with all confidence, “Mum always said those two belong together.”

“But Hermione thinks Hagrid is wrong,” Harry pointed out. He felt that if Hermione doubted something, than he needed to look more closely at the issue.

“She also thinks you and Ginny should get together,” Ron said flat out. He looked to ensure that the others in the dorm were fast asleep. “You heard Hagrid,” he whispered, “Lupin is just another Dean!”

“So you’re saying…?”

Ron gave him a discerning look. “Hermione can’t see the whole picture; too many people she cares for are involved.”

Harry thought about the fact that Charlie was Ron’s brother; perhaps it was Ron who was too involved.

“Besides,” Ron continued, “you saw how much danger Lupin put Ginny in when he found out Gaia was still alive. I can’t see him doing that unless he really loves her!”

Harry pondered this as Ron flopped into his four-poster bed and got cozy in his covers.

“What I don’t understand,” Ron drew Harry’s attention as he yawned loudly in the middle of his thought, “is why this Gaia character isn’t in your memoirs.”

Harry was surprised by his own stupidity. The memoirs were bound to hold something about Gaia! Halfway through opening his trunk a thought occurred to him. Having Ginny view the rest of the memories with him would be the smartest course of action. That way, she would be able to tell him if there was an unusual activity going on that he would not notice. As Harry crawled into bed he smiled knowingly. So when do you think you’ll be available to view the memories with me? Harry asked Ginny, knowing full well that she had been the one to stop him from going into the memoirs. That’s clever, Potter. The voice in his head taunted in amusement. Let’s see if Dumbledore has found a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher before we set a time. I may have to change the hours of my Volcency lessons.

Harry considered this matter for a moment. What did Hagrid say that’s got you, Ron and Hermione in such a huff? Utterly bemused, Harry proceeded to tell her about Charlie, Tonks, Lupin and Gaia in great detail. So that’s why Ron’s dreaming about living in that old shanty that Charlie and Tonks used to rent! Harry found himself grinning into the air at Ginny’s insight. Am I in the dream? He asked in a conspiring fashion. No just Hermione, Ginny answered. I’ll bet they’re snogging, Harry told her as he caught the silly grin on Ron’s face. Actually, Ginny told him, he’s dreaming about her giving him a foot massage! Harry muffled his laughter in his pillow at the thought. He got it together long enough to ask her what Hermione was dreaming of. She’s dreaming about acing her N.E.W.T.S.!
The New Professor by Wise Owl
“Oi! Wake up!” Ron yelled, kicking Harry’s bedpost extremely hard and then howling in pain.

Harry woke up with a start as Neville fell over the side of his bed, laughing at Ron’s misfortune.

“It’s about time!” Ron cried out after shouting a string of curses. He grabbed his bag and mumbled something about breakfast that Harry did not catch. No sooner had Harry put his glasses on, than Ron was heading down the stairs leading out of the boy’s dormitory.

“Had a nice sleep?” Neville asked congenially enough.

“It was alright,” Harry told him, stifling a yawn.

“Not going back to bed are you?” Neville said, eyeing him with great suspicion.

“I’m up,” Harry assured him.

“Good, because if Ron finds you sleeping again when he returns I’m afraid he’ll be more inclined to kick you than the bed.”

Harry grinned as Neville grabbed his school bag and hurried after Ron. He lazily fell back onto his pillow and thought back to the previous night. He and Ginny had spoken for hours on end about various subjects: her upcoming O.W.L.S., Gryffindor’s chances for the quidditch cup, the many complicated relationships of those around them, who the new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher could be, how long Hagrid was going to stay, what he was doing with the giants, and when Charlie would be back at Hogwarts to mess with Malfoy again.

He let his imagination return to the day he had been kissing Ginny, only this time there was no Hermione to interrupt, and snuggled further into his bedcovers. With an unholy BANG the door of his dorm room flew open and a demented looking Ron crossed the threshold pointing his wand menacingly at where Harry was still lying in bed.

“I’m up!” Harry yelled, afraid that his friend would, as Neville forewarned, do something rash. He clumsily jumped from the bed and got caught up in his blanket. It coiled around his feet sending him crashing to the floor where he shot the still looming Ron a hesitant smile. Ron, however, looked to have had enough of Harry to last a lifetime. He doused him in ice cold water using the charm Flitwick had taught them earlier that year. He left Harry struggling on the ground and headed off to the common room where Hermione was waiting.

“Well?” Hermione asked in amusement.

“He’s definitely awake now,” Ron told her with a smug smile.

“It’s about time,” Hermione sighed, “We’re already late for breakfast as is. I don’t want to be the last one in Defense Against the Dark Arts or the new professor won’t think very highly of us.”

“Is Ginny up yet?” Ron asked begrudgingly massaging his tummy which was demanding nourishment.

“Now she is,” Hermione told him with a sly look over her shoulder at the door where the girl’s common room stood. “I gave Pig a ditzy blitz and left him in the room with her.”

Ron chuckled as he and Hermione headed off to breakfast, he never knew his girlfriend had such a sadistic side…but he liked it.




Harry and Ron took their usual seats for Defense Against the Dark Arts while Hermione and Ginny elected to sit to the front of them room.

“I don’t understand what they’re so nervous about,” Ron grumbled, simultaneously taking out his textbook and laying it on his desk.

Harry could see that Ron, too, was apprehensive, though they were both trying to mask their anxiety. He took a moment to consider the wild possibility that Dumbledore may not have found a new teacher. Would they be forced to take end of the year examinations if that was the case? Ron gave a disgruntled look at the door and Harry followed his gaze to see what had caused it. Dean and Seamus were entering the room. Harry turned his gaze away when he noticed that people were now staring at him and Dean. Perhaps they were hoping for a re-match, but Harry was not going to oblige. It seemed that Dean was also not fond of that prospective, he quickly took his seat and looked intently into his textbook.

Warily, Harry ventured a gaze in Ginny’s direction. She had not broken her flow of dialogue with Hermione and did not look as though she would do so anytime soon.

“Shouldn’t the new professor be here by now?” Draco was saying loudly to Pansy Parkinson as he stretched out his arms and yawned. “I wonder what halfwit Dumbledore’s got in store for us now,” he continued, seeing that he had captured the attention of the entire class.

It was in that moment that Harry realized that the Slytherin’s had been unnaturally noncommittal about his fight with Dean. As he began to wonder why that was the doors of the classroom blew open and the billowing ropes of their new professor pushed all thoughts out of his mind. They had a frayed and tattered look that was somehow reminiscent as the new professor dashed by their desks and moved to the front of the room. Harry caught Ron’s stunned gaze before returning his attention to where the professor was now laying his bag and rifling through some papers. When he turned to face them with the attendance sheet there was no denying who the new professor was.

“Professor Lupin!” Parvati confirmed who it was with a look of relieved awe.

“Yes Ms. Patil?” Lupin responded shortly.

“You’re back!” Lavender spoke up in an extremely pleased tone.

“So it seems,” Lupin nodded and began taking attendance as everyone broke out in excited whispers.

Even the Slytherin’s took this new event in stride and Harry wondered once more why they were all acting so amiable. As Lavender waved happily at Lupin when her name was called Harry shot a glance at Hermione and Ginny. They looked as shocked and confused as he felt. When Lupin called “Granger, Hermione” Harry took the opportunity to give him a through once-over. If possible, Lupin looked shabbier than ever before. Harry would have bet all the money in his Gringotts account that Lupin had only just come out of hiding. His face looked whiter than ever and stretched like taunt wax over his skeletal features. Only his eyes remained the same as the last time Harry had seen them, angry and extremely hurt. He had an unearthly look about him.

It took Ron elbowing him hard in the ribs before Harry noticed that Lupin had skipped his name. When he called “Weasley, Ginny” and “Weasley, Ronald” Harry knew that it had been intentional.

“Now that everyone’s been accounted for,” Lupin said in somewhat of a gruff manner, “break off into pair’s and continue practicing Volcency and Occlumency.”

They all rushed to do as they were bidden and Lupin walked around the room scrutinizing their efforts. Harry tried to keep his mind on the task at hand but soon found the comments that Lupin was making to the Slytherin’s much too distracting. Every now and then he would stop to compliment the Slytherin’s on the progress they were making, though he had few words of encouragement for the Gryffindor’s. The idea the Lupin was showing favoritism was laughable in Harry’s opinion, so he could conclude only one thing: The SSS was now working on Volcency and Occlumency. Harry felt slightly flushed when he realized that the DA had fallen behind their opposition in training. There was no way he could teach the DA Volcency, as he had not mastered the subject himself, but he resolved to ask Ginny if she would be up to the task.

Time passed by slowly and Harry was painfully aware that Lupin was going to great lengths to ignore his existence. Admittedly, this worked to his benefit as both he and Ron were unable to focus on their assignment, but a pang of remorse ate away at him. Perhaps Lupin had not received the letter of apology he had sent him. He did not share this thought with Ron because he had not told him or Hermione about the letter. It was on a mere whim that he had taken Hagrid’s advice and sent a short and somewhat contrived apology to Lupin.

“Alright,” Lupin’s voice from the front of the room broke into his thoughts, “we’re done for the day and you are free to go.”

The Slytherin’s seemed particularly eager to go, though surprisingly they were not wearing sneers on their faces, but rather proud grins.

“Ms. Weasley, if I could have a moment.” Lupin said as Ginny and Hermione slowly began to collect their things.

From Harry’s perspective, it looked like neither Ginny nor Hermione had any plans to leave the classroom before talking to Lupin anyhow. Hermione sat down in her seat and in a sort of nervous action began twirling her hair between her fingers. Ron gave him a slight shove waking him up to the fact that he had not gotten his things together. Instead of doing so, Harry marched right up to the front of the class determined to talk to Lupin once and for all.

“…tomorrow afternoon at four…” was all Harry caught of what Lupin was saying to Ginny, he had stopped mid-sentence when he noticed that Harry had approached them.

“It’s Dumbledore’s order that she continue her Volcency lessons,” Lupin told him in a tone that did not bear argument.

“I know,” Harry replied instantly. He was fully aware that Lupin had misinterpreted his reason for coming to speak to him.

“Then I’ll have no argument about it,” Lupin said in a hurried nervousness.

Harry could feel Ginny and Hermione looking at him with pleading eyes as Lupin quickly got his things together and prepared to leave. As he stood up Harry felt the urgency to say something.

“Did you get my note?” Harry asked in somewhat of a soft tone. He was certain that Lupin heard him, for he froze and looked down onto his empty desktop in a melancholy way. Earlier, Harry had dismissed the thought that Lupin had not gotten his note because Hedwig had never failed him…but now, the possibility came crashing down realer than ever before.

“I said I’m sorry in it,” Harry told him without delay. When Lupin continued to stare off into space Harry felt plagued as though bricks were settling into the pit of his stomach one-by-one.

“He was just mad,” Ginny said, looking hopefully from Harry to Lupin.

“He didn’t mean any of it,” Hermione said simultaneously.

Harry felt Ron come to stand by him but didn’t take his eyes off Lupin.

“What more do you need?” Ron’s annoyed voice confirmed that he was standing to the right of Harry, “We’re all really sorry about what happened that day.”

They all looked hesitantly at each other, unsure of what to do, when Lupin finally spoke.

“It’s not you,” Lupin said in a hallow sort of way, “this is entirely my fault.”

As Lupin collapsed back into his seat Harry felt as though the weight of the world had been lifted from his shoulders.

“It’s not your fault,” he reassured Lupin, “I just got hot-headed...”

“No,” Lupin replied harshly, like a man full of self-hatred and loathing. “You were right, I used Ginny. I didn’t think about the consequences. It never occurred to me that I was putting her in harms way.”

“It’s ok,” Ginny broke in.

“It’s not ok,” Lupin said, slamming the desktop with his hand. “I should have said something. I should have told you about Gaia. I should have mentioned my suspicions about Lily. I should have…”

Harry watched as Lupin shook his head dejectedly in his own hands.

“Who found you?” Harry asked, hoping to get Lupin out of his miserable mood.

“Tonks,” Lupin said woefully.

Ron’s eyes became round as saucers as he signaled to Harry that this was probably the cause of Lupin’s anguish. Harry looked to Hermione for some sort of advice on how to tackle this difficult terrain, but she merely shrugged her shoulders. As he cast Ginny a glance he was hit by her strange look. It was as though someone had bleached her face entirely white save for her eyes, they were stinging with tears that she was fiercely holding back. Judging by her appearance, Harry guessed that Lupin would not be able to share how Tonks had reacted when she found him. He was slightly grateful for this, as it seemed to be a rather sensitive topic that guys did not discuss.

“How did you get to school?”

Harry felt a wave of relief when Ron changed the subject.

“I came yesterday,” Lupin told them still wearing a haunted look in his eyes, “I asked Dumbledore for the job and he gave it to me.”

Harry and Ron shared an inquisitive look.

“Why?” Harry finally asked.

“To make things right,” Lupin answered promptly.

“We’re going to be late for class,” Hermione announced tentatively and Lupin looked up at her with a grin.

“You had better get a move on,” Lupin told them, coming out of his shell a little.

“Go on,” he reassured them. “You can’t afford any more detentions from what I hear,” Lupin said with a genuine smile as he got up from the desk and walked them out of the room, giving Harry a knowing pat on the back.
A Catastrophe of Giant Proportions by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
I know, I know...you didn't think it was possible! You had all but given up hope! Yet here is the next chapter in the story!!! If you would like to know where I've been and what I've been up to, visit my bio page...and if you'd rather (as I suspect) read the next chapter...here you go! Enjoy!

Harry made his way to the dungeons to report to Snape for detention with a heavy heart. The entire day thus far had been entirely uplifting. Lupin returned as Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher and forgave him for the events of Christmas break…Ron and Hermione had been called away to a prefect meeting during lunch which enabled him to sneak in some private time with Ginny…and Hagrid had brought in a real life Griffin that had taken an instant disliking to Malfoy. They were going to study that Griffin for the entire week, making Malfoy very nervous and Harry giddy with anticipation of what mishaps would befall his archrival. As he reached the dungeon door he paused taking a moment to look around for any means of escape. When no prospect presented itself, he sighed and entered the dungeon room where Snape and Dean were waiting.





“You’re late Potter,” Snape said in a condescending air.





A quick look at his wristwatch verified that he was actually several minutes early, but he decided against arguing with Snape. He would have an entire month of opportunities to get more detention time with Snivellus.





“The dirty cauldrons are lined along the tables to my left,” Snape told them with a sinister grin threatening to take over his face.





Dean was closer to the pots and had a rather good view of their condition. If the look of revulsion that crossed his face was anything to go by, Harry assumed it was going to be a long detention.





“Get to work,” Snape ordered, “and no magic.”





“What are we supposed to clean them with?” Harry asked in a tone that he hoped did not give away the loathing he felt for Snape.





This time the sinister grin really did cross Snape’s face as he flicked his wand in response. Two rather old wooden brushes with metal bristles appeared out of thin air next to the cauldrons. Harry fixed the features of his face to look as indifferent as possible. He could not bear to see Snape gloat, and he was sure to do that if Harry seemed the least bit upset. Harry roughly grabbed one of the brushes and got to work and Dean quickly followed suit. After they completed their work, ten cauldrons a piece, Snape came by to inspect them. Though he could find no fault with Harry’s cauldrons, it was clear that Dean had never cleaned before. They were forced to clean all of the cauldrons three more times until they finally had Snape’s approval and were allowed to go.





Harry was more agitated than anything. He had anticipated Snape’s unfairness, but not Dean’s total incompetence. By the end of the week Dean had proven to be as inept as he had been on the first day of detention. While they cleaned, Harry secretly went over the area’s Dean was assigned so that he could ensure that he would be let out with enough time to complete his homework. His resentment for Dean grew when he found out that Ginny was now on speaking terms with him. Worst of all, Harry was now experiencing nightly dreams in which he and Dean were in some bizarre lightless funhouse. It featured hidden trapped-doors, hallways that lead nowhere and walls that moved seemingly with the express intent of trapping the inhabitants. The sinister house was made all the more creepy with the sounds of a groaning man and the ethereal voice of a woman guiding them to some undisclosed room.





Harry awoke abruptly early one morning, just as a trap door had opened suddenly, sending him and Dean falling into a black oblivion. He rubbed his eyes, cursing the dream which seemed to be getting more realistic and wiped the sweat from his brow using his pajama cuff. The snores in the room indicated that everyone was still asleep, so he slowly drew back his bed curtain and made his way to the window to open it. The crisp morning air assailed the room taking away the stifling heat that had resided just minutes earlier. As he turned to make his way back to bed Harry was startled to find Dean looking at him in a curious manner from his own bedcovers. Ignoring him, Harry climbed back into bed and firmly closed his bed curtain shut. After a few minutes in which he fought futilely to regain sleep, he heard Dean gather his things and head off to the showers.





Just then, Hedwig soared into the room through the window and over his bed curtain to deliver a hastily scribbled letter. Though seemingly incomprehensible, Harry made out the words “come quick,” “under-attack” and “hut.” Without a second thought, he threw on his winter coat and grabbed his wand. Within seconds, he was flying down the dorm stairs. He was shocked when he crashed into Ginny, who was standing in front of the boy’s stairwell with a couple of muffins in hand. He barely managed to wheeze out the name “Hagrid” at her as he continued to hurtle top speed towards the portrait hole. With a swiftness he did not know he was capable of, he made his way through the castle and out the main doors. As he neared the hut, he realized that the front door was thrown casually open.





Slowing down, he gripped his wand firmly and prepared to attack the intruder. However, he was not given the opportunity to do so as a curse from behind immobilized him and rendered him virtually useless at the entryway of Hagrid’s hut. His wand slipped from his rigid fingers and struck the floor with such force that green sparks flew into the air announcing his presence to the intruder who quickly turned around. If he could have rubbed his eyes to ensure that he was seeing straight, he would have done so, but as he was now quite statuesque that proved to be an impossibility.





“Harry?” The surprised voice of none other than Charlie Weasley came from Hagrid’s hut.





Harry widened his eyes, the only part of his body that he could move, in a vain attempt to warn Charlie that there was someone unknown assailant behind him, but it didn’t work. The surprised look that Charlie had was now compounded as he looked to a spot over Harry’s shoulder.





“Ginny, slow down,” Charlie commanded. “Take a moment to catch your breath,” he told her as she stepped into Harry’s line of vision and pointed her wand at him. Once her breathing was coming in regular intervals instead of short spurts, she muttered a counter-curse and released Harry from the body bind that he was under. Harry turned wildly around, attempted to surmise the location of the culprit that had cursed him.





“Ginny please tell me that I do not have to take points from Gryffindor on account of you cursing your fellow students,” Charlie said pointedly to his sister.





Harry attention was diverted from the task he had undertaken when he heard Ginny whisper the words “had to” between breathes.





Had Ginny been the one that cursed him?





He shook his head roughly to get the traitorous thought out of his mind.





“Where’s Hagrid?” Harry asked, in an attempt to sort through the muddled mess.





“Hagrid’s gone,” Charlie said in surprise, “he left with Dumbledore not too long ago.”





“Where did he go?” Harry persisted, his agitation compounding with a dull throbbing in the back of his head.





Charlie looked hesitantly around before stepping forward to close the front door.





“I don’t suppose there’s anyway you’ll leave until you get some answers,” he said hopefully.





Harry set a very stubborn look on his face and stared directly into Charlie’s eyes.





“Alright than, I’ll tell you what I know. Why don’t you take a seat?”





Harry was determined to remain in his position, but felt a small pressure on his arm and let himself be lead by it. Once he and Ginny were seated at a bench at Hagrid’s dinning table Harry looked expectantly at Charlie. It took Charlie an exceptionally long time to clear a frog in his throat as he hemmed and hawed, but Harry realized that this was a silly ruse to buy some time. Before he could say anything, Ginny gave a very clear warning cough to let Charlie know that they were waiting. With an audible sigh, Charlie took the seat at the head of the table, while scratching his head and casting a bewildered glance their way.





“It all started around two in the morning,” he began.





Harry cast Ginny a quick look, as if to make sure she was listening…really listening…to everything that was and wasn’t being said. She gave him a curt nod in response.





“It was only an hour before that, that the Order finished their meeting. If only we had been delayed instead of heading off to bed…” Charlie shook his head dejectedly.





“What happened at two?” Harry prompted him.





“That’s when we learned of the first attack,” Charlie responded.





“The first?” Ginny asked, startled.





Charlie nodded. “There have been four so far, that we know of.”





Harry and Ginny exchanged anxious glances.





“You-know-who’s giants were responsible for all four attacks. They were incredibly well organized and through. It’s unheard of, for giants to get along so well.”





“Who came under attack?” Harry inquired.





“There were three villages that lay on the outskirts of a portside township. The giants split into three groups. The first group hit the village on the outer most rim of the township. What they did not burn, they crushed with their overwhelming size. The Order did not receive word of the attack until it was over. By the time we arrived, the village lay in ruins. Even though, most everyone thought that this was an isolated incident. Ministry officials arrived on the scene within minutes of the Order members. We left them with the task of cleaning things up and went looking for the culprits.”





“Did you find them?” Ginny asked.





“In a manner of speaking, I suppose we did. About ten minutes after our arrival, bellowing smoke from the east caught our attention. We quickly apparated there, but found that the giants had destroyed half the village already.”





“But you managed to stop them, didn’t you?” Harry spoke hopefully.





“Actually, we had made a grave error in judgment. We apparated to the location of the smoke and began to fight off the giants there.”





“What’s so bad about that?” Ginny wondered aloud.





“As I already told you, they had broken up into three groups Ginny. As we were fighting in the second village with what we now realize were the second group of giants…”





“…the first group of giants began closing in on you from the behind,” Harry completed Charlie’s statement in dread.





“That’s right, they did.” Charlie confirmed.





“Still, between the Ministry officials and the Order members you should have been able to fight them off,” Harry insisted.





“I wish that were so, and it might have happened just that way if there had not been a third group of giants. Once the Order members found themselves surrounded by the first and second group, a blazing fire erupted from somewhere south of our location. Our numbers were once again dilapidated as half of our forces apparated to the new location. They were under the false hope that if they got there at the onset of the attack, they would be able to save more lives.”





“Weren’t they able to?” Ginny inquired in morbid fascination.





“We didn’t even have a fighting chance,” Charlie spit out bitterly. “The attack was too well-timed, the location precisely chosen, and the giants seamlessly mobilized, those poor villagers were little less than sitting ducks.”





Ginny gasped in dismay.





“Were there many casualties?” Harry asked, holding back the trepidation he felt.





“Those still on the scene have been directed to count the survivors,” Charlie replied, “because it will take less time.”





Molten coals seemed to settle along Harry’s insides at the pronouncement.





“What about the township?” Harry managed to ask after a long silence.





“Those giants who were not engaged in battle with us came at it from all three sides. Poor people, they never had a chance. They have yet to find a survivor from amongst the rubble.”





“But you got the giants didn’t you?” Ginny shouted.





“Not a single one,” Charlie said in utter loathing, “somehow they were trained to leave none of their own behind. Even those that were stunned were carried away. There were so few of us, and so many people to help, we couldn’t go after them…”





“So they got away,” Harry said ominously.





Charlie nodded, “They got away.”


Lockdown by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
Ok thing's are going to get fast-paced from here out in (as I warned!) I hope you are paying attention to the subtle nuances, they're going to begin to add up very quickly!

Breakfast was a somber affair. In hushed whispers, Ginny filled Ron and Hermione in on the events that had transpired that morning, though as it turned out, she had not needed to be so cautious. Soon as the owls began arriving with the early morning post, shouts of students wanting to be the first to divulge the news filled the hall. Discussions and arguments broke out in regards to the details, but one theme remained the same, that all giants were ruthless killers and had to be exterminated. After overhearing Justin Finch-Fletchy at the Hufflepuff table tell his fellow students that the school needed to expel Hagrid right away, Harry stomped angrily out of the Great Hall.

It took a while before Ron found him moping around in their dorm room and an even longer time until he convinced him to join him in the common room. Upon entering the common room, they found a hassled looking Professor McGonagall angrily directing everyone to their respective classes. When no one moved, her face turned a blotchy red color.

Harry cleared his throat to catch her attention and said, “Professor, it’s Saturday.”

After a moment in which all the students collectively held their breaths, reason seemed to prevail. McGonagall simply nodded her head and made her way out of the portrait hole. Harry assumed that the professor’s strange behavior had something to do with her worry over the mornings events, though he did not have much time to consider the matter. He saw Hermione waving furiously at him from across the room. After nudging Ron, they made their way over to where the frantic girl stood. Before he could say anything, Hermione had pushed him and Ron out of the portrait hole and into the empty hallway.

“Hermione, I’m not sure if we’re allowed to leave the common room,” Ron said hesitantly, but she took no heed of his words. Instead, she shoved him and Ron roughly into an empty classroom and ensured the door was soundly shut before turning to face them.

“I’ve just spoken with Susan Bones,” she announced before proceeding to make certain that the class was completely empty.

Harry and Ron shot each other a confused glance. If her behavior was any indicator, the information she was about to divulge was top secret, though they couldn’t fathom why. Still, Hermione had yet to steer them wrong, so they grabbed a pair of chairs and sat at the table closest to her.

“There’s no boogey man hiding in the shadows Hermione,” Ron said in an anxious voice.

“What did you talk to Susan about?” Harry asked, his impatience beginning to show.

Hermione took a deep breath and made a production of wringing her hands nervously together.

“Out with it,” Ron barked out the command. Clearly his patience was dwindling faster than Harry’s had.

“The Ministry of Magic is on lockdown!” Hermione exclaimed, before covering her mouth as though surprised that she had spoken at all.

“What does that mean, on lockdown?” Harry said as he stood abruptly from his seat causing it to slid side ways.

“This morning there was a terrible breach in security. Probably during the Giant attack because almost all the Ministry witches and wizards were called upon for backup.”

“What was the breach in security?” Ron asked.

For a moment, Harry thought Hermione was not going to answer Ron’s question. Though, finally, she swallowed hard and sat down on the seat Harry had cast aside.

“Karkaroff’s body was found, or I should say parts of his body were found scattered in areas of vital importance within the Ministry.”

“Karkaroff?” Ron said, a look of startled disbelief crossing his face. “Do you mean to say they cut up his corpse?” Ron asked in astounded horror, as the full meaning of Hermione’s statement began to sink in. Hermione didn’t answer, though she did not need to. The yellowish-green tint of her face spoke louder than words.

Harry, though not as shocked as Ron, still needed to take a moment to digest the news. He sat on the edge of the table, as it was the nearest solid object. The world seemed to spin slightly as images of giants in battle, villages ablaze, children screaming, and body parts flashed before his eyes. Unlike Ron, he had always known that Karkaroff was on Voldemort’s hit list. During his fourth year at Hogwarts, he had been transported to a graveyard where he witnessed Voldemort’s rebirth. When the Death Eaters were called to rejoin their master, Karkaroff, an ex-Death Eater, took off into hiding rather than face those he betrayed. Voldemort branded him a traitor and stated emotionlessly, that he would be killed. No, it was not Karkaroff’s death that Harry found devastating; it was the ability of the Death Eaters to penetrate undetected into the depths of the Ministry.

“What areas?” Harry asked as a feeling of icy dread crept down his spine.

“Four areas,” Hermione whispered as she began to tick them off her fingers, “the legs on the desk of the Head Auror, the torso in an aquarium in the Department of Mysteries, and his head wrapped in the Minister of Magic’s sweater.”

After a moment, Harry reminded Hermione, “That’s three.”

“The arms were attached with some spell to the door of the phone booth that visitors use to enter the Ministry,” she said, looking quite panic stricken.

“Why there?” Ron said in confusion.

“To show off the Dark Mark,” Harry guessed ominously, and Hermione nodded in agreement.

“The skull and snake were lit up and moving according to Susan,” Hermione added.

“Was Voldemort calling for a meeting?” Ron asked thickly.

“No,” Harry responded, “just celebrating a successful morning I suspect.”

The sat quietly for a length of time, each lost in their thoughts.

“Do you think there will be more news for today?” Ron asked, tentatively peeking at his watch as the hour hand turned to nine.

“I hope not,” Hermione whimpered, “I don’t think I could take any more.”

“I wish we were part of the Order. Then maybe we could help,” Ron said wistfully.

“Well I’m not going to sit around and do nothing,” Harry stated vehemently as he regained his composure and began to stride towards the door.

“Harry!” Hermione yelled out as she and Ron scrambled to catch up with him.

“What are you going to do?” Ron demanded, his long strides quickly putting him level with Harry.

Harry stopped suddenly. In the haste to catch up with them, Hermione was unable to slow down and plowed right into Harry’s back. Purely by reflex, he grabbed her arms before she went sprawling to the floor.

“Thanks!”

Ignoring her appreciation he instead commanded, “Get all the DA members to the room of requirements for practice.”

Hermione stood agape in surprise but quickly regained her senses and did as she was bidden when Ron yelled, “Get a move on!”

Harry was surprised to find Ron still at his side as they continued their fast pace down the corridor. He had fully expected Ron to go help Hermione in her task.

“What do you need me to do?” Ron asked in a serious tone, looking determined to be of service.

Harry racked his mind for a task to assign him, and finally settled on the most obvious.

“Go write to your father, mother, Percy, Penelope…anyone you can think of. Find out who has been locked inside the Ministry.”

“What good does that do?” Ron inquired.

“They wouldn’t lockdown the Ministry if they didn’t suspect that a culprit, or at least a conspirator, is inside.”

“It shouldn’t be too hard to spot a Death Eater sneaking around the Ministry Officials,” Ron argued.

“It would be if the Death Eater is a Ministry Official,” Harry said pointedly, his nerves grating by Ron, who was sometimes slow on the uptake.

“You don’t think there’s a spy in the Ministry, do you?” Ron asked, appalled by the thought.

“No,” Harry said sarcastically, “I think the Death Eaters are able to repeatedly sneak into one of the most heavily guarded magical buildings in all of England through their own cleverness.”

“Right,” Ron said, looking somewhat abashed by his own naïveté. “I’ll see what I can find out.”

Harry heard Ron ask where he was going, but he ignored him as he rounded another corner, and then another, then another. Soon he was at his destination, just outside Lupin’s office. He knocked roughly on the door, and it swung open to admit him.

“Come for a visit, Harry?” Lupin asked doubtfully.

“Where’s Hagrid gone?” Harry demanded, getting to the real reason he was there.

“There are many things going on out there right now,” Lupin said despondently, pointing to the window.

“I know about the attacks,” Harry said without delay.

“Than I do not know why you are asking where Hagrid has gone,” Lupin commented. “Naturally, Professor Dumbledore feels that Hagrid must return to the giants on our side posthaste.”

“They can not go into battle!”

“Battle?” Lupin inquired with an attempted air of innocence.

“Hagrid said they need another year to prepare,” Harry insisted, “they’re smaller and less skillful than the other Giants. Dumbledore’s sending them on a suicide mission!”

Giving up all pretenses, Lupin angrily responded. “Dumbledore is fully aware of the ramifications of his actions and I for one have every confidence in his judgment and abilities.”

“Is that the same confidence that you had when Dumbledore supposedly ensured that the prisoners would be unable to escape Azkaban?”

He heard Lupin mutter something about Dumbledore being unable to control foolish errors made by the guards but choose to ignore him. Instead he stormed out of the office and made his way up to the Room of Requirements. A quick look around the room confirmed that there was only one other person, Dean.

“Decided to rejoin the DA, have you?” Harry asked flippantly.

“I never left,” Dean said, looking standoffish.

“I haven’t seen you,” Harry pointed out.

“Hermione assigned the second-years to my charge,” Dean replied. “You can confirm it with her easily enough.”

Harry snorted, waving his hand dismissingly. With Voldemort now on the attack, the last thing he wanted to concentrate on was someone as insignificant as Dean. Under Dean’s watchful eyes, he began scanning the spell books in the room, looking for things that he may have neglected to teach.

“Had a rough morning?”

Harry ground his teeth together as Dean’s question threatened to unhinge him.

“If you hadn’t noticed, thousands of people have been killed and Voldemort is on the attack.”

Dean winced slightly at the mention of Voldemort, but Harry could still feel that eyes were upon him so he picked a random book and began to study it profusely.

“You haven’t gotten much sleep this past week, have you?”

Harry stopped himself from throwing the book he was holding at Dean’s presumptuous, oversized head.

“Concerned about my sleeping habits, are you?” he retorted mockingly.

“I haven’t had much sleep myself,” he replied in a conversational manner that suggested that he had either missed Harry’s sarcasm, or was choosing to ignore it altogether.

“What a shame,” Harry said in an off the cuff manner, hoping to end the futile dialogue.

Dean, however, seemed unwilling to oblige. “I have these dreams, nightmares really, about a strange house,” Dean shared.

Harry was spared from hearing whatever else Dean had to say when throngs of students began arriving for the spontaneous meeting. Sure enough, several students that looked to be second-years gathered around Dean and looked expectantly at him.

“Begin with a review of all the attack and defense spells they’ve learned so far,” Harry ordered before walking away to gather some of his own students. His goal was to ensure that all the DA members knew how to conjure a Patronus by the end of the weekend, including the first and second-years. Yes it was advanced magic, and he was sure Hermione would argue it was beyond their age and comprehension. But there were very few things in life that he could be certain of, that Voldemort showed no mercy on the weak and defenseless, was one of them.

Half Blood Prince by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
Now people! I said I was going to go right home and update the story (quite a few days ago!) When I did not do that, why did you not remind me?!?! Here I am, thinking that I've updated, when in reality I did not! As I see it, this is no fault of my own...You are entirely to blame! Hey guys...wait a minute...why are you picking up those torches? Really now, there's no need to form into an angry crowd!!! AHHHHH!!!!! *Wise Owl takes flight for her life!* Geessshhhh....guess you can't take a joke!

Harry was fiercely proud of the work the DA had gotten through that day. In his group, two kids had been able to make fog-like wisps appear. With a bit more work, he was sure that these wisps would soon take animal form. The new members of the DA were showing a remarkable aptitude for difficult spells. He berated himself for not having held more sessions, but felt that there was little he could do to change that now. Currently, all the DA members were in the Great Hall. They had opted to work through lunch, much to his pleasure, but by dinner time he noticed a definite spike in their performance, so he had ended the meeting and sent them off to dinner.

Pushing aside thoughts of regret for time lost, he laid his glasses on the nightstand next to his four poster bed and dropped from exhaustion onto it. The silence of the room helped calm his frazzled nerves. He fought the thoughts of Giants attacking and Ministry officials on lockdown, preferring to stay away from any agitating matters. Despite his efforts, he couldn’t help it when Dean’s image floated into his head.

“You haven’t gotten much sleep this past week, have you?”

Why was Dean keeping an eye on his sleeping habits? It was quite odd that whenever he had awoken suddenly from a nightmare, Harry found Dean also awake. He pushed aside any fancies that Dean may be a vampire and opted, instead, for a logical explanation. Panic surged through his body as one hideous thought ran through his mind, during his nightmares in which he yelled out to Dean, could he have also yelled out in real life? Was that why Dean was so interested in what he was dreaming about? It would explain his sudden willingness to talk to him…but no! How could that be? Wouldn’t Ron, Seamus, and Neville also wake up if he was yelling out during a dream?

His panic subsided slowly as he nestled his head into his pillow and let one crazy scenario after another enter his mind, but he could figure out no reason for Dean’s behavior. What had Dean said earlier, something to do with having nightmares about a strange house? Perhaps they had inadvertently done some form of Volcency, just as Ginny had done to see into Ron and Hermione’s dreams. Harry settled on this conclusion, as it seemed to be the only logical one, and let his heavy eyelids slide firmly shut. Some length of time later, he heard the distant noises of Ron and Neville entering the room and groggily opened his eyes. The lull of his deep slumber proved too tempting to resist. Instead, he allowed his eyes to flutter shut once more, feeling as though this was the first time in weeks he had gotten any real sleep.

The aspiration for a restful sleep eluded him, however, when he found himself back in the company of Dean in the strange house the moment his eyes were firmly closed. He could not read the expression on Dean’s face, as the only light available was eerily being cast from a blackened window that glowed around the edges. Harry, Dean, the glow, all proved to be of little consequence once the house seemed to sense that there was some sort of disturbance. The walls began to shift, this time faster than ever before. The floor began to disintegrate from the center of the room on out.

Harry and Dean threw themselves at the window where there was a slight alcove on which they stood, hoping that it would not give way as the floor had done. Whether their hope would have been realized, they never had the chance to find out. The window they were leaning against suddenly disappeared, only to be replaced by a blazing fire of emerald green. Dean blanched at the unexpected transformation, but Harry was struck by a sudden burst of understanding. The house was not a home at all, but rather, a riddle or puzzle of some sort. Every time he and Dean made a movement, the house began to shift its walls in response. There had to be some sort of code, or series of rooms, that would eventually lead them to where they wanted to go.

Where that was and if they really wanted to go there at all was yet to be determined, but Harry concluded that the only way to end the infernal dream once and for all would be to solve the riddle and see where it would lead. The floor continued to disintegrate at an alarming rate and he and Dean soon had their back directly to the fire. In their moment of greatest distress, a wild notion flitted into Harry’s mind. With his back against the fire, he had expected to feel the intense heat associated with an inferno, but felt a cool prickling sensation instead. Purely on a whim, Harry opted to sacrifice Dean into the fire, being that it was a dream and all, to test and see if his notion was correct.

With a surprised yelp, Dean fell back towards the fire and wildly reached out to Harry, successfully grapping a hold of his robes and pulling him in as well. So much for sending a sacrificial lamb, Harry mused as he and Dean fell headlong into the fire. Aptly, they both hit their head against the brick wall before scampering to their feet. Dean rubbed his sore head, momentarily forgetting their precarious location. Likewise, Harry massaged his head, though he also happened to venture a glance out of the fireplace only to find that the room that they had been in had vanished. In its place was a dank, dark room, musty from poor air circulation.

Two men were in this room, one withering on the floor in a heap of pain and the other standing over him firmly gripping a wand in both hands. Neither of them faced the fire so he was unable to distinguish any of their features. Harry had little doubt that the man on the ground was being tortured by his counterpart. His breathing was sporadic and his groans all too familiar. Was this the man he had heard groaning as he and Dean made their way throughout the various rooms during the dream? If so, where was the woman with the ethereal voice, the one feeding them directions? Why did she not help this man herself and who was this third, unknown person?

As Harry mulled over his private thoughts, Dean spotted the two men and raced out of the fireplace with his wand at the ready. Harry cast a spell to disarm the strange wizard before he could attack Dean, but his aim was poor in the darkness and he missed his mark, not that it mattered. By some bizarre quirk, the man had not noticed Dean at all, though he abruptly glanced at the area where Harry stood. Instead of spotting him and attacking, the man looked suspiciously around with some anxiety and a menacing glare. Harry breathed easier when he realized that somehow, the man was unable to see him or Dean.

Cautiously, he walked out of the hearth and into the room. When he got as close as he dared, Harry attempted to decipher the identity of the man though there was little firelight left to help him. Initially, he thought the man to be of dark complexion with dark hair and a short stature. Closer inspection proved differently. The man actually had dirty blond hair that was so covered in soot that it gave the appearance of being black. His skin was equally covered, though a glance at his hands showed that the man was pale colored. His eyes, Harry made no mistake about. They were blue, bright blue, perhaps the brightest shade of sapphire blue that Harry had ever seen.

Harry knew that he had never met the man in his life, yet there was something hauntingly familiar about him. Despite the scene that he had happened upon, Harry had a strange yearning to trust this man. Perhaps the groaning man on the ground was evil or had committed some atrocious crime. He looked to groaning man, and found Dean leaning over him, eyes wide open as though drinking in every last detail of the man’s features. He followed Dean’s gaze and began to study the groaner, as he had come to refer to him in his head. This time he had no doubt, this man did have a very dark complexion.

A quick look at his features, even in the dying embers of the fire, confirmed beyond a shadow of a doubt that the man was of African lineage. In spite of his earlier thoughts that the groaner might be a criminal of some sort, Harry reluctantly admitted that the man was out of place. His clothes, though tattered, were clearly regal. As a matter of fact, everything about this man seemed regal, from his prominent features to his oversized body. Little could be done to help the man, though, as the standing wizard seemed to come to the conclusion that he was indeed alone and raised his wand softly whispering “crucio”.

The word, uttered so quietly, seemed to affect not only the groaner, but also Dean who let out a blood curling scream the moment it was spoken and threw himself over the groaner so as to shield him. As though a plug was being pulled from a drain, the images in front of him swirled into oblivion and Harry woke up with a start. He reached to his nightstand for his glasses and glanced around the room. He heard heavy breathing coming from behind Dean’s curtains and jumped out of his bed to investigate the noise. Just as he suspected, he found Dean huddled up with sweat dripping down his forehead.

“Had a bad dream,” Harry inquired as nonchalantly as possible, given the circumstances.

“They’ve got him,” Dean whispered looking frantic.

“Who?” Harry asked, though he knew perfectly well.

“My father,” Dean replied, “they’ve got my father.”

“That man?” Harry asked. “The man on the ground, groaning; is that your father?”

Dean jerked his head into a nodding motion, though it was clear he was still traumatized.

“That dream…” Harry began.

“It’s no dream,” Dean cut in.

“How do you know that?” Harry questioned.

“It’s Ginny,” Dean answered.

Harry felt his breath catch in his throat. At no point had he considered that Ginny could somehow be playing a role in the nightmares he had been having.

“What’s Ginny got to do with this?” Harry demanded no longer concerned with keeping his voice lowered.

“Ginny has been putting her reality into our heads,” Dean said, cowering slightly at Harry’s anger.

An intense feeling of disbelief overtook Harry as he realized that Dean knew more about Ginny and her recent activity than he did. At no point had it occurred to him that Dean knew Ginny’s true identity as a Volcen, though clearly he did. To compound his agitation, Harry was now forced to contend with the fact that Ginny and Dean had secretly been using her powers for a task that the Order had no knowledge of.

“So we were never really in the house?” Harry asked with some trepidation.

“No,” Dean replied looking haunted, “only Ginny’s been there.”

“How?” Harry asked simply, testing to learn the full extent of Dean’s understanding of Ginny’s powers.

“Lupin taught her to channel,” Dean answered.

Though he was loathing showing his ignorance in front of Dean, Harry swallowed his pride and asked what channeling entailed.

“She said it’s like getting into another dimension,” Dean explained, “a dimension of spirits, in which she can go anywhere in the world in the blink of an eye.”

Just great, Harry thought to himself. Now he was going to have to ensure that both her soul and her spirit were both in her body at all times.

“So you asked her to use her power to help you find your father,” Harry surmised accurately. Dean simply nodded.

“When was he kidnapped?” Harry asked, realizing that he knew very little about Dean’s personal life.

“Seventeen years ago,” Dean readily supplied.

Quickly doing the math Harry recognized that this meant Dean’s father had been kidnapped before witnessing his son’s birth. He faulted himself for never having asked Dean about his real father. He often heard Dean speaking of his stepfather and siblings, though never of his biological father.

“Who kidnapped him and why?” Harry asked after a lengthy pause.

“Obviously he kidnapped him,” Dean said, clearly referring to none other than Lord Voldemort.

“Why?” Harry reiterated the second half of his question when it looked as though Dean was not going to say anymore.

“Because of his stature,” Dean responded, this time with more heat in his voice and resentment welling up in his eyes.

“What stature?” Harry insisted. “What’s so important about your father?” he asked, pushing Dean to what seemed to be his breaking point.

“His bloody kingdom,” Dean cried out, turning to send an icy glare in Harry’s direction, “his precious…bloody…kingdom!”

WWXII by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
Alrightly then...let's try this again! The story got rejected because I accidently put the entire chapter in bold! My bad!!! So I'll give you a sneak peak of what's to come...enjoy:

“World War Three, Harry? Perhaps if we only look at this century, however, it’s more like World War Twelve in the recent history of England,” Lupin corrected, “and we’re only two thousand years old.”
Intuitively, Harry knew that he had pushed Dean too far, so he backed off. His instinct told him that he needed to get to Ginny to find out if Dean was telling the truth, but pity for Dean kept him in the dorm. Putting himself in Dean’s shoes was really quite easy. What if he learned his own father was actually alive somewhere? He would do anything to determine his location and see him. What if the first time he saw his father, the man was crumpled into a hapless position on the floor screaming for death to ease his pain? Like Dean, he too would be on the verge of losing his mind.

As his concern for Dean continued to wrestle with his desire to seek out Ginny, Dean took the matter out of his hands entirely by roughly closing his bed curtains thereby sending a clear message that he wanted to be left alone. Taking this as his cue, Harry shot out of the room and down the dorm stairwell. He slowed down once he reached the door of the boy’s stairwell and carefully opened it so that he would not collide with Ginny as he had the previous night. His anticipation molded into confusion when he did not find Ginny on the other side of the door.

He continued his search throughout the common room but was sorely disappointed. As he considered his options a disturbing thought crossed his mind, what if something had gone wrong with Ginny’s Volcency and she was in danger? He couldn’t remember the dream actually ending; he had just sort of woken up. In his haste to get to Ginny he recklessly ran up the girl’s stairwell. He recalled that Hermione had once said the fifth year girls were on the fifth floor. No sooner had he reached their door, than the stairs underneath his feet melted away, sending him sliding back down and spitting him out of the girl’s stairwell.

He kicked himself for forgetting that the stairs had been charmed to extricate any male intruders. As he desperately sought another means of getting to Ginny he neglected to notice the figure creeping up behind him. He was so focused on his thoughts that he nearly leapt out of his skin when a small hand rested on his shoulder. The hint of jasmine in the air stilled his hand which had been reaching for his wand. Without a word, Ginny took a hold of his hand and led him towards the portrait hole. They walked down the dark corridor with Ginny in the lead, as he still had no idea where she was taking them.

She slid open a classroom door, the same one that Hermione had taken him and Ron to earlier, and went inside. He followed closely, still unsure why she had taken him out of the common room in the first place. He slid the door and with a small click it closed. Another click behind him caught his attention and he quickly turned around to see what Ginny was doing. A small glow from a lantern illuminated the classroom, revealing a stoic faced Lupin with Ginny by his side.

“So you’re in on this too?” Harry asked in disbelief. Hadn’t the events of the Christmas break taught Lupin a lesson as far as Ginny was concerned?

“I’m afraid not,” Lupin responded gloomily, “I’ve only just been informed of the disturbing activities of Ms. Weasley and Mr. Thomas.”

Harry felt slightly relieved; he did not want to fight again with Lupin, especially not about the same topic.

“So the dream,” Harry asked hesitantly, “was it real?”

“What you perceived as a dream was actually Ginny putting thoughts in your head,” Lupin explained, “and I’m afraid that it was quite real.”

“Well at least that explains why I haven’t gotten a decent nights rest,” Harry said, offering a grim grin as he took a seat.

“It’s not funny!” Ginny responded heatedly. “That man is going to kill Dean’s father and you two are just short of asking me to get you a pot of tea!”

Harry shot Lupin a raised brow, unsure of how to go about handling Ginny’s outburst.

“I assure you Ginny, once Dumbledore returns I will immediately disclose all the information you have given me,” Lupin reassured her.

“That’s not good enough!” Ginny cried out. “We need to find him, we need to rescue him!”

“Do you have any idea of where the house in the dream actually is?” Harry asked, humoring her in a vain attempt to get her to see how flawed her plan was.

“No,” she admitted reluctantly.

“Do you have any idea whose house we were in?” Harry continued.

“No,” she echoed her previous statement.

“We do not even know if this house is in this country,” Lupin pointed out.

“You’re just going to let him be killed?” Ginny asked in a highly accusatory tone, throwing an icy stare at Harry.

“If he was going to be killed,” Lupin interjected, “why would he have been kept alive for so long?”

When Ginny couldn’t formulate an answer Lupin continued.

“Ameen is much stronger than you give him credit.”

“That’s his name?” Harry cut in.

“Ameen Khalali,” Professor Lupin nodded adamantly, “he was in his third year at Hogwarts when we were in our first year.”

“You knew him?” Harry inquired.

“Not per se,” Lupin clarified, “that he was royalty was a strictly guarded secret, so naturally the whole school knew about it.”

“Naturally,” Harry agreed.

“When he finished school, it was rumored that he had a falling out with his parents,” Lupin continued.

“Over what?” Ginny asked.

“Well he met a young lady who he fell in love with,” Lupin responded with a strong air of regret.

“A young lady that just so happened to be a muggle?” Harry asked slyly, knowing full well what Lupin’s answer would be.

“I’m afraid so,” Lupin nodded gloomily.

“Did he marry her?” Ginny interjected her query.

“He did,” Lupin told them, “despite the fact that his parents had forbidden him from doing so.”

“I suppose his parents were not too pleased?” Harry said sarcastically.

“Not at all,” Lupin confided. “Rumor has it that they disowned him as a result.”

“This is all good and well,” Harry said with some boredom, “but who kidnapped him and why have they kept him alive for so long? As a matter of fact,” Harry turned to face Ginny, “how is it that you managed to find him?”

“Those are excellent questions,” Lupin said with an approving nod before turning to stare at Ginny as well.

“Alright already,” Ginny sighed loudly. “Over the summer Dean’s mother took us to visit the palace where she works as a secretary. While she was busy with some work Dean and I snuck off to find the employment records in her boss’s office.”

“Why would you…” Harry began.

“Do you want to hear the story or not?” Ginny asked with her hands on her hips. As Harry cowered she returned to her tale.

“Until this summer, Dean had assumed his stepfather was his real father. Dean’s stepfather was in a motor accident and needed blood from his relatives. Mrs. Thomas refused to allow Dean to give blood. Instead, Lionel his half-brother gave blood. When Dean asked her why she stopped him from helping his father… ”

“…she came clean,” Lupin guessed thoughtfully.

Ginny nodded. “She told Dean that his real father was a wizard. Years ago, the palace employed a janitor who she found infuriating. This janitor would become her future husband and Dean’s father.”

“Ameen as a janitor?” Lupin cried out. “I can’t even imagine such a thing.”

“Well now she realizes that he was never a janitor, she assumes that he was some sort of wizarding police sent to guard the royal family.”

“Did you ever find those employment records you were looking for?” Harry asked.

“We did, but there wasn’t much to go on. He used an assumed name, Ofuma Baguma, as his alias. The only thing we knew for certain was his age, that he was a wizard, and that he had come from Africa.”

“How did you find out his real identity?” Harry couldn’t help but to ask.

“First, we looked through all the African genealogical books, but we couldn’t find Ofuma Baguma. When we realized that no such wizarding family by that name had ever existed, we began a new search. We looked into the Hogwarts school records for African sounding names, using his age as our timeline.”

“That’s how you found him,” Harry shook his head in awe.

“Not quite,” Ginny said wistfully. “We found four wizards that met that description.”

“His guard duty,” Lupin said with a knowing smile.

“Excuse me?”

“His guard duty,” Lupin explained, “the wizards the King sent along with his son, for his protection of course.”

“I suppose so,” Ginny said in surprise.

“How did you narrow it down to him?” Lupin asked in genuine interest.

“That was purely by luck,” Ginny answered. “We came across an old school paper that had a picture of all four of our potential candidates together. We sent it to Dean’s mother and she identified him for us. Armed with his real name we began to search the African genealogical records once more.”

“I don’t imagine it took very long to find him,” Lupin commented.

“Not long at all,” Ginny agreed.

“Meanwhile, you had been contacted by Gaia who told you that she and a wizard that she could not identify had been taken by an unknown Death Eater,” Lupin stated. “Of course the reason she could not identify the wizard is because he thought in a language that she could not understand. Once you knew who Dean’s father really was, the dates fell into place and you realized that Dean’s father was the wizard that had been kidnapped. Then you convinced me to teach you about channeling and the rest is history.”

“Almost,” Ginny admitted without remorse, “there’s just one question I haven’t been able to work out. I’m sure Voldemort kidnapped him because he is a prince and Gaia because she is a Volcen, but why is that Death Eater still keeping them alive? What purpose does that serve?”

“In regards to Gaia,” Lupin shook his head sadly, “I can provide no answer, but as for Ameen…I’m rather certain of Voldemort’s logic.”

“Enlighten us!” Ginny cried out enthusiastically, taking a seat next to Harry and leaning forward so as not to miss a single word.

“Ameen will one day be king…”

“But he was disowned,” Harry pointed out.

“That is of no consequence,” Lupin brushed off Harry’s statement. “The Kingdom is magical; it passes to the next rightful heir regardless of human trivialities. Ameen is the next rightful heir, and once his father passes away the Kingdom will mark him as King.”

“You talk about this Kingdom as though it is alive,” Harry noticed.

“Africa is rooted in old magic that runs so deep we could not think to comprehend the power that binds the royal lineage.”

“If they are so powerful, why was Ameen sent to study magic here?” Harry wondered.

“Old magic, though powerful, lacks innovation and direct use. For example, there are no charms for summoning an object or spells for disarming an opponent. That is entirely dependent on the creativity and ability of the individual witch or wizard.”

Harry felt relieved that he was not part of the olden days. He was fortunate that he was part of an era in which the study of magic and its applicability to everyday use was valued.

“If African witches and wizards are so far behind the recent trends of magical education, why does Voldemort want Ameen?” Harry reiterated. “He can’t hope to benefit from Ameen’s people after all.”

“That’s where you’re wrong Harry,” Lupin cut in. “Ameen will someday rule the entire African wizarding Kingdom. It is the largest wizarding community in existence. Besides that, they hold the key to old magic. Whereas others, like us, have largely forgotten the usefulness of such magic, they alone are trained in the ancient rite. Some wizards, such as Aberforth Dumbledore, were sent to Africa for magical education. Even Voldemort himself sought knowledge from there after his years at Hogwarts were completed.”

“Won’t their government realize that Ameen is under Voldemort’s control?” Ginny finally spoke up.

“The people of Ameen’s Kingdom believe that the rift between him and his parents is the reason that he has not returned to Africa. If, however, they were to learn that he has been kidnapped and is being held hostage…”

“What would happen?” Harry asked with foreboding.

“I have no doubt that the Shaman would lead an attack on England the likes of which we have seen only once before,” Lupin responded.

“When have we seen it?” Ginny asked immediately.

“The muggles refer to it as the Black Plague. Millions upon millions were killed in Europe as a result.”

Ginny gasped in horror, “Why would they do such a thing?”

“A minor transgression occurred between the royal families. But this,” Lupin shook as goose pimples appeared along his arms, “the kidnapping of an heir, I shudder to think the repercussions if the African Kingdom learns of it.”

“Do you think they could really go to war with England?”

“Just England Harry? Perhaps they would start here, and then work their way throughout Europe…mind you, they still haven’t gotten over that slight altercation of the past.”

“Surely with all the new magic we’ve learned, we are much better prepared to go to battle?”

“Harry, don’t you see. When you were just a child Voldemort attempted to kill you with new magic, your mother sacrificing herself for you was a form of old magic. In the end, old magic is sure to trump new magic.”

“Why did we come up with new magic than?” Harry asked, highly annoyed.

“Well our old magic almost disappeared when we went to war with India two thousand years ago. It took a thousand years after that war before we established new magic and the greatest witches and wizards England had to offer formed a school, Hogwarts, to impart magical education to as many English witches and wizards as possible.”

“Why did we go to war with India?” Ginny asked.

“The Realm of India was far progressed as a society, much more so than the monarchy that ruled England at the time. Our monarch was obsessed with ideas of pure blood lineage, and he insulted India’s Sovereign Queen who was by his terms, a ‘mudblood’.”

“I thought that we were more progressed as a society than India?” Harry commented.

“You are referring to the muggle technology, Harry. They are more progressed because of necessity. There are far fewer witches and wizards in England than there are in India. I have noticed that the amount of muggle technology that exists in a society is directly correlated to the wizarding population that exists in that nation.”

“That’s why the largest wizarding community is in Africa,” Ginny said, catching on to Lupin’s meaning.

“Because they have the lowest muggle technology available?” Harry guessed.

“Correct!” Lupin replied leaping from his chair. “The three most powerful wizarding communities today are the African Kingdom, the Realm of India, and the Chinese Empire.”

“Unbelievable,” Ginny muttered, “Why is it that we don’t learn about this in school?”

“We don’t come off too well in that perspective, so the founders decided to leave it out. Besides, we no longer have any true knowledge of world history past two thousand years ago, we would have to ask the other wizarding communities for that…and well, we’re still a bit too proud for our own good,” Lupin lamented.

“Voldemort’s not trying to take over England,” Harry stated ominously as the puzzle pieces he had been mulling over for weeks began to fall into place, “he’s trying to take over the world. That’s why he has Ameen, to start a world war. He’ll use the Giants and dementors to attack and involve the other wizarding communities. He’ll use Gaia who he incorrectly assumes is the new Voltara to control the Volcen’s and use their abilities for evil. That will free up the Death Eaters for whatever task they have been assigned. Don’t you see? We’re on the verge of World War Three.”

“World War Three, Harry? Perhaps if we only look at this century, however, it’s more like World War Twelve in the recent history of England,” Lupin corrected, “and we’re only two thousand years old.”

“Of those wars, how many were started by a mad wizard who wanted to take over the world?” Harry asked.

“A considerable few,” Lupin responded, “though I fear none will prove as successful or deadly as Voldemort.”
The Dove by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
The Doves have it ;) Thanks to you who voted!!!

Chapter 36: The Dove

The sound of some thing crashing into a suit of armor just outside the door woke them from the stupor they had fallen into and moved them into action. Harry made it to the door first, motivated by the fear that someone had overheard the topic they were discussing. As soon as Lupin had him covered by hiding behind the door he swung the door open slightly. Sounds of two kids arguing about the direction they should go relieved Harry’s agitated senses. A couple of kids had, no doubt, taken a nighttime excursion hoping to get into some fun and mischief. Initially, his instinct told him to let them be on their way and sneak back to his own common room with Ginny, but when he recognized one the young voices as belonging to Evan Bailey he decided to chastise them and send them back to bed. As he made to open the door all the way Ginny’s nails sunk into the flesh of his forearm. He paused, certain that she had read his thoughts and disapproved of his intended action. The kids soon decided on the corridor to take and made their way, still arguing in hushed tones.

“That was close,” Ginny commented.

“We’d better be getting back to the common room,” Harry murmured, still bothered by the fact that they had let the kids wonder around during the middle of the night.

“I’ll go first and make sure that the coast is clear for you two,” Lupin said. “Wait until you see a yellow spark before leaving the classroom.”

Lupin casually strolled down the hallway, as though on patrol for the night and sent the yellow sparks as he turned into another corridor.

Ginny exited the class before Harry, though she seemed somewhat confused. She was swiftly walking the way opposite of their common room.

“The common room is the other way,” he whispered when he finally caught up to her.

“I know,” she replied, all the while doubling her speed with a sense of urgency.

“Where are we…?”

Harry’s question stopped as abruptly as Ginny. She motioned him behind a statue of an old, ogre looking wizard and they quickly hid behind it. There was a second or two of silence in which Harry wondered if Ginny had lost her mind, when suddenly the familiar noise of the Evan Bailey and his friend arguing reached his ears.

“Here it is,” Evan’s friend said triumphantly, “I told you we should have made the first right turn!”

Evan mumbled something incoherent and the two of them made their way into a class.

“It’s about time,” came the unmistakable voice of Severus Snape, “shut the door and be quick about it.”

Harry shot Ginny a startled glance as the door was quickly closed by the clumsy kids.

“Do you see the torch on the wall?” Ginny asked suddenly.

Harry looked to the wall opposite them and saw a lit torch not too far from the door and nodded.

“Do you notice how there’s no shadows being cast on the floor by the light?”

Harry turned his attention to the floor and found that Ginny was correct.

“It’s a false wall,” she continued, “whenever people try to lean against it they fall through into my arithmancy class.”

“We could enter the classroom that way,” Harry said, finally catching on.

“If we stand directly in the center of it, our bodies will be hidden to both those in the corridor and those in the class and we’ll be able to hear everything,” Ginny whispered.

“Let’s go,” Harry replied.

When they got in front of the wall Ginny put her arms tightly by her side took one large step into the wall, instantly disappearing. Using her method, Harry quickly followed. It was like stepping into a tight box that allowed absolutely no light to get through, but Snape’s voice was loud and clear.

“…and make sure he receives the proper dosage,” he lectured sternly, “I don’t have time to fix your mistakes.”

“I’ll make sure of it,” Evan spoke up, seeming quite eager to please.

“Do we have to change the amount we give him or the dosage size?” Evan’s friend inquired.

“Nothing changes!” Snape said angrily. “The Dementia Drought is very specific; it will run its course in two more weeks.”

“Sir, what about the pixie dust for the other potion?” Evan asked, appearing more self assured now that his friend had been censured. “My Uncle can send another carton with the morning post if we need it.”

“That won’t be necessary Mr. Bailey,” Snape replied in a much calmer tone, “we already have two spare cartons as it is. Now take this potion and get back to your common room before anyone notices you’re gone.”

“Yes sir,” they mumbled simultaneously.

The sound of the door opening and shutting signaled their departure. Harry held very still, hoping that there was no part of his body sticking out of the wall façade behind him. When he heard the whooshing sound that their cloaks made as they passed the wall he let out a silent sign of relief. He felt Ginny reach out and push him slightly back and they both emerged from within the wall back into the corridor. They quickly made their way to the common room, hoping that Evan and his friend were headed there. As they approached their destination, they heard voices arguing though neither belonged to Evan.

“Ron?” Ginny asked in surprise.

“Where in the blazes have you been?” Ron cried out, as he turned to face his sister.

“Not now,” Hermione intruded, “she’s got Harry with her so we’re set to go immediately.”

“Come along,” Ron commanded them as he and Hermione began to run hurriedly.

Harry and Ginny only had enough time to obey the command without asking where they were headed. The path they were taking was familiar and Harry realized that they were all headed to Dumbledore’s office.

“Dumbledore’s not here,” Harry wheezed as they stopped at the statue that hid the opening leading to his office.

“Lupin told us,” Ginny confirmed.

“Well he’s back,” Ron stated firmly as he turned to the statue and said, “Sherbet Orange.”

Ron and Hermione wasted no time with explanations, launching themselves into the opening and running up the spiral staircase so Harry and Ginny followed. Once they reached Dumbledore’s door Ron knocked loudly and entered before receiving permission. Dumbledore’s office seemed to be in complete disarray as he searched frantically for something through his cabinets. Upon their entry, however, he turned his attention to them.

“This will have to do,” he said, setting an old, worn tire in the middle of his desk.

Instantly, Ron and Hermione moved the take a grip of the tire. Ginny shrugged her shoulders at him giving up on any hope of an explanation and grabbed hold of the tire. Harry found himself following her lead for the second time that night and hoped that she was doing the right thing as he gripped the tire and felt as though a hook had been attached to the back of his bellybutton. The sensation of being ripped from the room along with the whooshing sound made him feel lightheaded. All too soon and yet not soon enough he felt his feet crash to a slate floor and he buckled at the knees.

“It’s about time!” The frantic voice of Mrs. Weasley came from the kitchen of Grimmauld Place.

Feeling that if he spoke he was likely to be sick, Harry allowed her to lead them all into the hallway and out of the front door where a group of six Order wizards including Mr. Weasley were waiting to escort them.

“Everyone in front of me and stick together,” Mad Eye Moody instructed as he pushed them roughly into pairs and sent them behind Mr. Weasley who had taken off in a hurry the moment they arrived.

Harry could feel a cramp in his side as he struggled to keep up. Less than ten minutes later they were standing in front of the telephone booth that Mr. Weasley had used to bring Harry into the Ministry of Magic the previous summer.

“Everyone in,” Mr. Weasley ordered and Harry thought that this would be no small feat to accomplish.

Amazingly enough, the cramped looking booth expanded to fit everyone with Mad Eye bringing up the rear and tightly shutting the door with some difficulty.

“State your name out loud one at a time,” Kingsley Shaklebolt announced before stating his name.

“Harry Potter,” Harry said after everyone had finished.

“We have all received a special summons from the Minister of Magic,” Kingsley stated.

“Identities confirmed,” a witch’s voice echoed. “Please wait to be transported.”

Although it was already dark outside, Harry felt the remaining light ebb away and realized they were being sucked down into the ground, slowly at first, and then fast. As they stood in front of the magnificent looking Ministry building an army of Ministry officials descended upon them, taking their wands and reconfirming their identity. Soon, they were each fitted with a special bracelet that gave Harry a sensation that he his movements and actions were severely restricted. Once they had met with all the precautions, they were gravely led one by one into the Ministry surrounded by four Ministry officials a piece.

Each person was led to a separate lift, which seemed to already know where they were supposed to be taken. Along with their guard duty, as Harry had come to think of the officials assigned to them, they entered a gigantic arena style room whose center resembled a lewd attempt at a courtroom. Kingsley Shaklebolt, who appeared to have been assigned duty of Mr. Weasley, seated them in a cluster of seats before turning to address the mass audience that awaited them.

“The remaining members of the Weasley family and Harry Potter have arrived,” he announced.

A hush fell over the crowd and the eyes of everyone in the arena turned as one to the area where Harry and the Weasley’s sat. Immediately, a voice from the center of the arena caught everyone’s attention. Harry recognized the speaker to be Amelia Bones, the new Minister of Magic.

“The High Court is now called to order.”

Complete silence fell upon the entire arena, so much so, that a pin drop could be heard with ease.

“The accusations shall be read individually to those accused, once your name is called, please stand.”

The tension among the crowd seemed to spark and Harry felt a strange sensation of unease. He recalled the trials he had seen in Dumbledore’s pensive and felt a strong sense of déjà vu. The Minister looked up from the paper she had been reading and he knew she was looking directly at him. This was confirmed when she stated the first name:

“Harry Potter.”

Whispers broke out, most people were vehemently muttering in anger that Harry Potter should be called out at all. Other people were simply shocked and sat in disbelief perversely observing what Harry’s next move would be. Knowing he was now here to face accusations being made against him, though he had no clue what they could possibly be, gave him the courage and conviction to stand and face his accusers.

“Harry Potter, you are accused of high treason. You are further accused of being involved in secret organizations to undermine the authority of the Ministry. You are accused of plotting to overthrow the Ministry.”

Harry made sure to make no outwardly sign that any of her words had affected him, though he was shocked at her accuracy. He had not plotted to overthrow the Ministry, but he was involved in both the DA and the Order and neither organization had any particular loyalty to the Ministry. He was unsure of whether he was to respond but was saved the trouble.

“I, the Minister of Magic, do hereby acquit you of all charges. You may be seated.”

The crowd approved of this action, some by applauding and others by whispering. Harry distinctly heard the voice of Ludo Bagman saying “that’s right you do” somewhere out in the distant crowd as he took his seat. The Minister did not seem to notice the fanfare she was creating. Instead, she took out another parchment and read out the next name:

“Ginerva Weasley.”

Harry felt a sudden heat in the back of his neck. He turned to look at Ginny but was startled by what he saw. Ginny looked deadly calm and composed to the degree that it troubled him. She stood and looked the Minister square in the eyes. Everyone and most of all, the Minister became highly disconcerted. Harry could have sworn that he saw either a faint breeze or an electric charge lift Ginny’s hair ever so lightly for an intensely dramatic effect. A bit of fear permeated through the crowd members who were close enough to see her full appearance.

“Ginerva Weasley you stand accused of consorting with known Death Eaters. You are further accused of plotting with known Death Eaters to the detriment of wizarding society.”

The tension in the room could have been cut with a knife and Harry had a distinct feeling that it was an unnatural tension. His intuition insisted that Ginny was causing the strange feeling he had that some invisible thing was pressing against his ears, eyes and mouth. Despite his blurry vision, he was certain that he saw a small flame travel from the root of Ginny’s hair to the bottom tip and than it was gone.

“I, the Minister of Magic, do here acquit you of all charges.”

The tension in the room dissipated with this pronouncement and several people let out a small cheer. Ginny, however, continued to stare at the Minister. Looking carefully, Harry noticed that Ginny’s pupil’s seemed to have grown to such a degree that her eye color was no longer visible. The Minister, who was quite composed before, now seemed somewhat troubled.

“You may be seated Ms. Weasley,” she said somewhat forcefully.

Ginny seemed to come out of her trance and took her seat gracefully. Harry was sure she had used her Volcen abilities and hoped he would soon get a chance to ask what she learned.

The Minister turned to face a cell in which three wizards were seated. Though Harry could not see them he knew there were three because the chairs they were strapped to had high enough backs for everyone to see.

“Fredrick and George Weasley, you are accused of entering the Ministry with a concealed weapon. Furthermore, you are accused of attacking Ministry Officials. Finally, you are accused of conspiracy to extricate a prisoner of the Ministry.”

Of the crowd some people heckled, shouting “give them a break”, while others demanded “throw the wand at them!”

“I, the Minister of Magic, find you guilty on all charges.”

Boos and Hoorays broke out from every corner of the arena, so much so that the Minister was forced to call the gathered body back to order no less than three times. Harry turned to see how Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were taking the news, though they seemed to have anticipated the verdict. Once the crowd had settled, the Minister continued.

“You are hereby fined one-hundred Galleons a piece, per charge. There will be no jail time.”

This seemed equitable to the crowd, who clearly had a better idea of what exactly Fred and George had done to land themselves in this position than did Harry. Nevertheless, Harry vowed that he would make the necessary arrangements to pay for the bail of Fred and George as early as possible, knowing full well that there family would be bankrupted if they attempted to pay the fine of six-hundred Galleons that was imposed.

“William Weasley.”

Harry quickly returned his attention back to the Minister who was now addressing the person in the third chair. It took him a moment to realize that she was referring to Bill.

“William Weasley you are also accused of entering the Ministry with a concealed weapon. You are further accused of yielding your weapon within the Ministry.”

Everyone remained silent as the Minister took out the parchment that held her verdict on the matter of Bill’s accusation.

“I, the Minister of Magic, find you guilty on all charges.”

The Minister’s pronouncement was met with a chorus of Boos as well as heckling from the crowd but she put her hand up to quiet them and continued as though she had not been interrupted.

“Due to extenuating circumstances, you shall receive no punishment but merely a reprimand. You will be free to go after the course of this trial.”

The Minister was showered with cheers and applause. Clearly the crowd approved of the measures she had taken thus far. Behind him, Harry heard Mad Eye mutter “finally a Minister with common sense.”

The loud sound of a heavy lock being opened one clank at a time brought an end to all the merriment. Mrs. Weasley let out a sob and Mr. Weasley put him arm around her for support. Harry strained his neck as high as it would go so that he could see what was happening. Six huge, mean-looking wizards were heavily guarding and escorting a prisoner into the center of the arena. They strapped him in a slate, crude mockery of a chair and positioned themselves around him. No one spoke. No one breathed. Not a sound could be heard. A lone light shone on the prisoner.

With the way the prisoner held himself and his clean swept appearance there was no mistaking his identity.

“Percy Weasley, you are accused of the murder and dismemberment of Igor Karkaroff.”

A shocked intake of breath resounded throughout the arena.

“You are further accused of entry into unauthorized Ministry areas to leave the body parts of the victim.”

Everyone hung on her every word to ensure that they missed nothing. Not a thought passed through Harry’s mind as he took in every detail of what was going on.

“I, the Minister of Magic, find you guilty on all charges.”
Booty Seizure by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
I didn't want to leave you hanging for too long! This chapter tells you what happened during the trial and afterwards...If you can figure out what the title means than you are amazing! ;)
“Azkaban for life!” Ron cried out suddenly while they were seated around the fireplace of their common room.

It was the first time Ron had spoken since the “trial”, or fabrication thereof. No examination of the evidence had actually occurred at any point. The Minister had simply handed down her verdict, “guilty on all charges.”

“I just don’t understand,” Hermione moaned for the fifth time looking imploringly at Ginny, “how can they believe that Percy is a murderer?”

Ginny sighed, not for the first time that morning. “I already told you, they checked his wand and it was definitely the one that cast the killing charm and opened the top security areas in the Ministry.”

“So he lost the wand and later found it,” Ron insisted stubbornly, though this was ground that they had already covered.

“He swore that at no point did he leave his wand unattended,” Ginny reiterated.

“At no point that he knew of,” Ron cut in, but they all knew this conversation would lead to a dead end as Hermione had suggested the very same logic only minutes prior.

“Percy swore under oath that he was the only one in his office all night long and that he did not doze off at any point. There is just no possible person that could have stolen his wand,” Ginny responded.

“Not to mention,” Hermione added, “they tested to see if he was under a Confundous Charm and he was not. No one drugged or cursed him, best as they can tell.”

“What I don’t understand,” Ginny spoke up, “is why he did not offer those possibilities in his defense? Why did he insist that no one had been around him?”

Harry shook his head in frustration; Percy’s behavior had him greatly perplexed, although not in the same sense as his friends. He leaned back into the cozy couch that he was occupying, though it could have been made from porcupine spikes for all the attention he paid it. His thoughts were fixed firmly on Percy’s performance during the trial. Percy had insisted he was innocent, though he shot down every possible alibi that had been offered to save him and unlike his friends, Harry knew that there was a clue in that.

A real Death Eater would have acted in one of two ways; either he would have happily declared his service to Voldemort and taunted the Ministry by the magnitude of the crime that had been committed within their midst, or he would have offered up a million and one excuses as to why he couldn’t be the killer while pleading for compassion and mercy. Percy had done neither, though he had sneezed an awful lot. So much so, that the only thought of his that Ginny could hear was the repetitive “I have to sneeze…” choo, “I have to sneeze…” choo! Naturally, it had aggravated her to no end.

As some footsteps began clumsily clamoring down the boys’ stairwell Harry realized that the recent developments would soon become common knowledge around the school. He leaned closely to Ginny to ask her about another matter that had him confounded.

Why did the Ministry present us with accusations at the beginning of the trial?”

Ginny frowned furiously, turning to make sure that no one could overhear their conversation.

“Mundungus Fletcher,” she answered promptly, “in order to get out of trouble and avoid going to Azkaban he traded them some information about the Order.”

“Specifically, about us,” Harry guessed and Ginny nodded in response.

Harry let out a string of expletives. Ron shot him a curious glance, but when Harry didn’t respond to the unasked question he went back to discussing the matter of Percy’s trial with Hermione.

“We should tell Dumbledore about that lousy traitor,” Harry whispered in Ginny’s ear.

“He already knows and is quite furious,” Ginny assured him, “but he hasn’t kicked Mundungus out of the Order.”

“Why not?” Harry asked, infuriated.

“I’m not entirely sure. Sometimes I think the old man’s really losing his mind,” Ginny confided in hushed tones.

Hungry witches and wizards began streaming into the common room at a steady pace so Harry and company ended their private conversation and followed the crowd off to breakfast. Before long, as Ron was placing eggs and bacon between two pieces of toast, the owls came whooshing into the Great Hall to deliver the Daily Prophet to those who had a subscription. An owl landed in front of Hermione and she quickly paid it while Ginny opened it to the front page to reveal a large photo of Percy being hauled away by the new Azkaban guards.

Ron became highly flustered and seemed to lose his appetite altogether. He gathered his things and made his way out of the Great Hall before people had the chance is finish reading the article. Hermione wrapped up the uneaten sandwich that he had left behind and quickly ran to catch up to him. Harry was halfway out of his seat to follow them when Ginny suddenly grabbed his forearm and forced him back.

“Read this,” she hissed, shoving the paper into his hands.

Ministry Murderer: Lost and Found

The Ministry showed great strides in their effort to beef up security early this morning with the trial of Percy Weasley who was accused and convicted of murdering and dismembering the body of Igor Karkaroff. Their attempt met with a defiant end when the ship delivering Percy Weasley to Azkaban was waylaid and overcome by unidentifiable wizards.

“I’m telling you they were pirates,” was all that a Ministry official that received a blow to the head alleged as he was being transferred to St. Mungos trauma department.

“Clearly he has been confounded or is otherwise suffering from a head injury,” a spokeswoman for the Ministry insisted, denying the claim that a pirate ship had kidnapped the convicted murder.

However, the Daily Prophet has received exclusive knowledge from a top inside official at the Ministry that confirms that a pirate ship did indeed attack the Ministry ship.

“Pirates are Muggle sea bandits that raid random ships for loot or as it referred to by Muggles ‘booty’. We believe that the crew of this pirate ship was under the imperious curse and were not acting of their accord. Nor were they alone. Wizards and/or witches, that is to say magical persons, were casting spells to disarm the guards of the murderer,” he told us.

When we pressed for more information, another Ministry official spoke on the condition of anonymity:

“Here at the Ministry many people are upset with the persecution of Arthur Weasley’s sons. Personally I would not be surprised if the guards had been lax in their duties on purpose.”

The persecution the source was referring to applies not only to Percy Weasley. Before the murder trial, Fred and George Weasley, entrepreneurs of the famous Weasley Wizarding Wheezes, were charged and fined for their part in a pre-trial disturbance that occurred at the Ministry when they attempted to break out their older brother.

“I’m not entirely sure how my sons learned that Percy was going to be tried for Igor Karkaroff’s murder,” Mr. Weasley told us as he entered the Ministry with his sobbing wife by his side, “but I’m sure they didn’t mean to turn the Minister into a horn-huckeled bullfrog.”

“At least Bill got to them before they came to any harm,” Mrs. Weasley interjected before being led inside the Ministry to attend her son’s trial.

Along with Fred, George and Bill, Ginevra Weasley and Harry Potter were also forced to attend and answer to outlandish accusations of which they were quickly acquitted.

Continued on page 6…


As Harry made to turn to page six to read the rest of the article he felt an unnerving feeling that all eyes were now on him. When he braved a peek he found that virtually everyone in the Great Hall was staring directly at him and Ginny. Opting to read the rest of the article in privacy, he grabbed hold of Ginny’s hand and they scuttled out from under the scrutinizing eyes of their fellow students. Even before the doors had closed behind them they could hear an audible upswing in the whispers, gossiping, and conjecture.

“Well at least there are quite a few people that refuse to believe Percy is a murderer,” Ginny mumbled, hoping to point out the silver lining.

“That’s nice,” Harry replied, “but how many of them are likely to believe that pirates kidnapped him?”

Ginny took a moment to seriously consider his flippant question before responding. “I believe it.”

The sincerity of her response startled Harry so much so that he stepped onto the screeching step of the staircase leading to the dungeons hallway. After making his mistake and getting an earful of berating as a result he turned to Ginny in amazement.

“Pirates do not exist anymore,” he told her gently.

“Of course they do,” Ginny retorted, “how else could they kidnap Percy?”

Harry was stunned. He had not expected Ginny to believe the rubbish excuse that the Ministry had given the Daily Prophet about Percy’s whereabouts. “Pirates did not kidnap Percy,” he told her in measured tones.

“Alright,” Ginny said with a sigh, looking as though she was willing to humor her dimwitted friend, “than who do you think has Percy?”

Harry took a moment to consider the matter. “Either he has escaped on his own,” Harry said, putting up his hands to ward off Ginny’s exasperation, “or he has been kidnapped…but not by pirates.”

Ginny rolled her eyes in response, “Are you quite finished?” When she received the affirming nod she was seeking she continued. “Pirates are as real as you and I, something I learned in Muggle Studies, though I do not believe that they have Percy. I suspect that members of the Order or Ministry Officials unhappy with the outcome of the trial had their hand in Percy’s disappearance. Who else would be silly enough to use Pirates as a cover when the entire muggle-born population is sure to react just as you have?”

Harry pretended to mull over the possibility though Ginny was not fooled by the concerned look in his eyes. “You disagree?” she guessed, confused that he was not applauding her genius.

“I want to agree,” Harry said wistfully, “but you’re forgetting that the only living people to ever have escaped from Azkaban are not on our side.”

Ginny went pale as the warning behind his words sunk into her mind. Could the Death Eaters have kidnapped Percy, and if so why?

That was the question on everyone’s mind during the passing days. Behind books and with not-so-stealth glances in their direction, people continued to argue in murmurs about Percy’s whereabouts and his innocence. The rudeness didn’t bother Harry, but than he had become accustomed to being the schools main source of gossip. Ginny, however, was not. With each passing day she seemed to grow increasingly introverted, speaking only to those closest to her. Harry was not thrilled that she counted Dean as among those nearest and dearest to her heart, but he was elated by the fact that she talked more to him than anyone else, including Dean.

Only one thing truly plagued Harry as the days rolled by. He was visited by a nagging feeling, or rather, a strong suspicion that he had forgotten something. As the time passed his unease continued to grow, until it was compounding faster than a snowball rolling down a hill. A couple weeks after the persistent annoyance had started he bolted upright in his bed. Finally, he remembered what he had forgotten. A chill ran down his spine.
The White Dove by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
Okay let's try putting this chapter up again!
Harry leapt from his bed, tossing his bed covers aside and hastily made his way to Ron. It took several shakes before Ron awoke from his slumber, though Neville, who had not been sleeping, was now curiously eyeing the pair of them.

“Watzit ‘Arry?” Ron mumbled out, still groggy from his interrupted sleep.

“We have to go!” Harry yelled, continuing to shake Ron with a sense of urgency.

“Alright already!” Ron muttered as he sat up and freed himself from Harry’s agitated grip.

“What’s going on?” Neville asked, aware that he had stumbled upon a matter of great importance.

“I need to speak with Hermione,” Harry informed the pair. “Now!” he added for emphasis.

“But how are you going to get into the girls dorm room, the stairs will just spit you back out,” Neville informed him.

Ron spared Neville a surprised glance, wondering how it was that Neville had come by this knowledge before returning his attention to Harry.

“How is it you contact her for you midnight outings?” Harry asked Ron, who seemed shocked by the accusation. “Right, don’t pretend that you don’t sneak out to see her after we’ve all gone to bed, you’re not the only one that can fake snore, you know?”

Ron grinned, his glowing red ears evident by the dim moonlight. He turned to his nightstand, opened the top drawer and withdrew a large familiar looking pin.

“Isn’t that for S.P.E.W.?” Neville asked.

Ron did not answer Neville’s question. Instead, he touched the tip of his wand to the coin and said “éveiller”. Harry caught Neville’s eye and they shared a moment of amusement.

“So she likes her French,” Ron said, pouting.

“I’ll bet,” Harry replied cheekily and Ron clobbered him with a pillow. Just then, the coin lit up with a bright light and went dim once more.

“She’s awake,” Ron told them.

“Let’s go,” Harry said, returning to his previous state of urgency.

As they ran down the spiral staircase Ron let out a series of sneezes that Harry thought were sure to wake up the entire dormitory. Once they had reached the bottom, Ron whispered, “Harry, I’ve just had an idea…”

“Well done,” Harry hissed, still agitated at Ron for making so much noise. Harry didn’t have time to hear Ron’s idea however, as Hermione entered the common room in a rush. Her eyes went wide when she saw the three of them waiting, though Harry did not give her an explanation, but rather an order, “Go get Ginny!”

She seemed surprised, but quickly did as she was told.

“Harry,” Ron said, trying awkwardly to speak with him away from Neville’s prying ears, “when I was sneezing I remembered…”

Though what he remembered, Harry would never learn. No sooner had Ron spoken than Harry’s eyes landed on Evan Bailey who was crouched behind a couch in front of the dying embers of the Common Room fireplace.

“Evan!” Harry yelled out sternly. Evan stood up almost at once, looking guiltily at Harry. “Get to your dorm,” Harry ordered, angry that he had once again found Evan out of bed during nighttime. Evan scrambled to obey, hastily running to the boys staircase. No sooner had he entered the boys’ staircase, then Hermione and Ginny came clobbering out of the girls’.

“Evan Bailey!” Ginny exclaimed, though slightly out of breath. “I forgot!”

Harry nodded, angry at himself for forgetting Evan Bailey’s nighttime encounter with Severus Snape two weeks prior.

“The Dementia Drought,” Ginny said, turning to Hermione for answers, “what does it do?”

“The Dementia Drought?” Hermione repeated, her eyes turning into saucers. “Why…”

“What does it do,” Harry reiterated Ginny’s question, feeling that there was no time to explain now why they needed to know about it.

“The Dementia Drought is as its name suggests,” Hermione began in her traditional textbook fashion. “It is a potion given in small quantities that causes the recipient to become frantic or paranoid. It clouds logic and reason, oftentimes leading to a complete loss of self identity.”

“How much needs to be given for that to happen?” Harry cut in.

“Not much at all,” Hermione responded.

“Is it about the size of a lemon drop?” Ginny asked, shooting Harry a horrified glance.

“Even less than that,” Hermione answered, “though a lemon drop would be an excellent concealment for the potion.”

“Why?” Neville asked, reminding them all of his presence.

“That is because the potion itself is quite strong and pungent. A lemon drop has a hard outer shell. I expect that the potion could easily be placed within it. Then that would make the person receiving it totally unaware that they are taking it. The smell would be encapsulated.”

“The Dementia Drought runs its course in two weeks,” Ginny said suddenly.

Hermione cast a startled glance at Ginny. “That’s correct.”

“What happens at the end of two weeks?” Harry asked.

Ginny looked to Hermione and shrugged to signal she did not know.

“At the end of two weeks,” Hermione started with a shudder, “the spell does one of two things. Either the person completely loses their mind and becomes, in a sense, ‘demented’. Or…”

“..or what?” Harry persisted.

“…or, they die.” Hermione whispered, fighting down the bile threatening to escape her throat. “It’s Dumbledore isn’t it?” she asked in a dismayed utterance.

Harry didn’t reply or wait to hear if Ginny would. He went careening from the Common Room with only one destination in mind. The sounds of running footsteps behind him signaled that the rest had followed his lead, though he took no heed of them. A cold sweat broke out onto his forehead, there was a sickening foreboding that he had never before experienced coursing though out his body. The fates seemed to help him slightly as he did not run into any authority figures, namely Snape and Filch, though neither of them could have stopped him from getting to his destination.

“Wombat Wafer!” Ron yelled as Harry approached the statue guarding the entrance to Dumbledore’s office. The statue shifted, allowing them just enough room to squeeze in and run up the revolving staircase. Dumbledore’s door was thrown open and his office was in a state of such disarray that Harry froze at the doorway and the others stumbled into him. Once he entered the office he spotted Dumbledore lying on a large stuffed couch of pure white, wearing a simple white cloak in place of his usual colorful one. His beard had gone almost entirely white since the last time Harry had seen him and the wrinkles on his face were more etched and pronounced than ever, though he had a serene look about his face. Although his eyes were closed, he seemed to sense their entry.

“Welcome,” Dumbledore said in a voice that was so strong and familiar, that Harry’s heart ached. “I knew you would come.”

Harry did not have time to make with the niceties, not while Dumbledore’s life hung in the balance. “You’ve been poisoned,” he quickly told Dumbledore before turning to look at Hermione for guidance. “What can we do to fight the Dementia Drought? Is there a potion? Is there a spell?”

Dumbledore cackled, but Harry ignored him. He kept his piercing stare fixed firmly on Hermione who was wringing her hands profusely and becoming increasingly fidgety.

“Now is not the time to lose it!” Harry yelled at her, but it seemed that she already had. Adrenaline rushed through his veins so quickly that he could hear it gushing against his eardrums like rapids pounding against a dam. He had to help Dumbledore. He had to find a way to save him. His eyeballs threatened to pop out of their socket as he looked around the room for anything that could be of aid. The sweat on his forehead trickled down in small beads down his face and he wiped it impatiently away.

“Harry…” Dumbledore said, his voice sounding distant and beseeching.

Harry did not look at his mentor. Instead, he faced his friends, all of whom stood just inside the doorway looking at Dumbledore as though all was lost. The longer Harry looked at them, the more infuriated he grew and the harder he tried to ignore Dumbledore’s pleas. He would not accept it, he could not accept it. Dumbledore was going to be fine. There was no reason for Hermione to be in tears. There was no reason Ron should look so pale and wide-eyed. Neville did not need to look so forlorn; there was no reason for that! Ginny…Harry could not bring himself to look at Ginny. Seeing pain in her eyes would shatter him and he could not go to pieces right now. His rage continued to grow steadily though, and he finally cast his gaze back to Dumbledore who was eyeing him sadly.

“Are you waiting die?” Harry asked in disbelief, edging closer to Dumbledore who began grinning happily, perhaps at finally being acknowledged. “Won’t you fight against those who betrayed you?” Harry continued certain that if he could just get Dumbledore’s ire up, the rest would magically take care of itself.

“Would you have me waste my last precious moments fighting when I should be rejoicing?” Dumbledore implored, casting his now startlingly hazy blue eyes towards Harry.

“Are you happy? Do you want to die?” Harry asked incredulously. He could not help feeling that Dumbledore was somehow betraying him. Though he badly wanted to believe that Dumbledore was still under the influence of the Dementia Drought, he knew better.

“Young Harry…I am no lad of sixteen years. I have lived…truly lived…and I am happy to have done so. So why not rejoice? Blessed as I have been, my life should be celebrated.”

“But you’re dying,” Harry said with tears welling up in his eyes and his throat becoming increasingly bothersome and scratchy.

“But we are all dying my dear boy!” Dumbledore proclaimed, “And when we die…as we must…we will all meet again and be reunited under better circumstances, I pray.”

“It was Snape,” Harry said bitterly as he went to kneel next to Dumbledore’s lofty couch, “he betrayed you.”

Dumbledore smiled sadly. “A wise man once said, ‘In prosperity our friends know us’,” he lifted his hand slightly and waved in the general direction of those standing behind Harry, “and ‘In adversity, we know our friends’.”

Harry felt his throat constrict and heat up all at once. When he felt he could take no more of the searing emotions wreaking havoc inside of him he felt the soft touch of Ginny’s hand on his shoulder and leaned against her leg.

“It was Voltara who betrayed Lily,” Dumbledore said, speaking exclusively to Ginny now.

“I had my suspicion,” she responded. “Although I’m sure she did not mean to at the time.”

“You are a clever young lady,” Dumbledore wheezed before a bout of coughs overtook him. He then continued, “I have always enjoyed the company of Volcens.”

“You should have married her,” Ginny whispered with a teasing smile.

“Truer words were never spoken,” Dumbledore said lightly. “I was a fool for never doing so. Promise me Ginny, you will not let such foolish sacrifices be made in the future.”

“I promise,” she said. Then, after a moment of hesitation, “About Gaia…”

Dumbledore was overtaken with another bout of coughs, though this time, what seemed to be blood appeared in the palm of his hand. “Gaia…” he wheezed, “Gaia is kinder than you could know. She has sacrificed her freedom to care for a stranger. Do not rest until you have found her.”

“The Order?” Hermione asked from somewhere behind Harry, and Dumbledore grinned once more.

“Let Remus Lupin lead the Order, he is most suited to do justice for everyone involved. I am afraid that there are tough times ahead of you,” Dumbledore said in a warning tone, “but victory is in the hands of those who patiently persevere and have faith. Faith, that they will safely delivered from the calamities that befall them, for we are all human and are sure to be tested.”

“Don’t die,” Harry pleaded to his mentor.

Dumbledore looked at him, this time with a gaze so compassionate that tears began to streak down Harry’s face. “Would that I could give you my soul,” he whispered gently, “but then you would have one too many.”

Dumbledore smiled a soft, kind smile, and then went still. The gulf of tears threatening to overcome Harry flowed in streams from his eyes and from those around him. Ginny knelt beside Harry and hugged him to her fiercely as they shared in each others grief.

“It was his time,” she whispered, “It was his time.”
HISSS by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
A gigantic sized chapter...a pivotal one. You knew this one was coming!

Sometimes a moment is all that is needed…a moment to cry, a moment to grieve. A moment is a funny thing, though, because you never really know how long it is going to last. Some moments last a second; others may be a minute or two. Then there are those moments that seem to last a lifetime. Never ending moments…those are the scariest moments of all. Some never ending moments are good, like when you fall in love and stay in love forever and ever…that’s a good moment. Those moments, however, are quite rare. The more common never ending moments are usually not so chipper. In a moment, one catastrophe after another can befall you until you think that you can take no more…and than another one hits. You’re left feeling dizzy and disoriented. Emotion escapes you. Words escape you. Life, in a myriad of images, flashes before your eyes. The ground you once stood firmly upon, crumbles from beneath you. Life can be cruel like that. A moment is all it takes.

It was Neville who smelled it first. Harry had just closed Dumbledore’s eyes when the unmistakable stench came. The others were deeply ensconced in their grief so Neville knew he had to act. He cleared his throat. No one paid him any attention, but he was used to that. This was one of those urgent moments and time would stand still for no man so Neville tried once again, this time he used words.

“Harry, I think there’s trouble,” Neville said tentatively.

“Quiet Neville, give him a moment,” Ron said sternly though his voice was filled with anguish.

“I believe we have a problem,” Neville insisted, knowing full well that he was being disrespectful to the newly departed and silently begging Dumbledore to forgive him.

It was not Harry that answered Neville, however, it was Ginny who looked back in a startled fashion and asked the most important question with only one word, “Fire?”

Alas, it was moments like this that made Neville certain that Ginny was some sort of mind reader, or had she simply smelled the stench as well? Irregardless, Neville quickly nodded to let her know that there was indeed some sort of fire blazing within the castle, and not to far away if the stench was any indication. Harry heard them, though he gave no sign. He continued to trace the lines of Dumbledore’s face with his eyes. He heard the explosion too, or at least what sounded like one. Hermione, Ron, Ginny and Neville ran to the windows just in time to see part of the east wing of the third floor explode and burst into flames.

“Isn’t that the Ravenclaw common room?” Neville asked, knowing full well what the answer would be.

“Where did the first explosion come from?” Ginny asked. Ignoring the fire now blazing in the Ravenclaw common room she quickly spotted the other fire quite a ways off at the north end of the castle.

“There,” Ron said, pointing to the spot where she was already looking.

“Two fires?” Hermione observed in a horrified whisper. “I somehow doubt that this is a coincidence,” she said as a tremor shot through her body.

“It’s the Hufflepuffs common room,” Neville informed them.

The third explosion came louder and closer than the other two.

“Not Gryffindor!” Neville shouted, but red embers shooting into the sky in the west signaled that his presumption was correct.

As the voices behind grew louder and more urgent Harry chose to block out the sound. He looked at Dumbledore’s peaceful face, so calm and blissfully unaware of the chaos breaking out in the school. How nice it would be to simply trade places with him. Perhaps he was so serene because this was his long overdue slumber. During his first year at Hogwarts, Dumbledore had mentioned that death was simply, the next great adventure. Harry turned abruptly from Dumbledore absolutely resolute about one thing: he wasn’t prepared to let the SSS disturb Dumbledore’s well-earned rest.

“We’re under attack,” Harry relayed as he strode from the headmaster’s office, fighting the urge to look back. He hurried down the winding staircase and heard the sound of many feet descending behind him. Once they had reached the hallway he faced his friends. “These are no ordinary fires; Snape’s Slytherin Soldiers are using a large amount of Pixie dust to cause the explosions…”

“That’s just not possible!” Hermione argued. “It’s illegal for any one person or organization to posses the amount of Pixie dust need to make a fire that intense!”

“That may be so,” Harry commented, “but SSS has been siphoning Pixie dust from all of their family members for months. They’ve been planning this for a very long time.”

“I’ll bet that’s why they’ve been keeping such a low profile!” Ron snarled. “They didn’t want to arouse any suspicion!”

“Oh dear,” Hermione whimpered, grabbing her chest as though her heart would burst.

“What is it now?” Ginny moaned.

“It’s just that…” Hermione began, but inevitably trailed off.

“…It’s just that what?” Ron shrieked at Hermione’s indecisiveness.

“Floo powder,” Hermione stuttered under the many watchful eyes.

“What about Floo powder?” Neville cut in so that Ron could not rant at Hermione in his helplessness.

“If you mix Floo powder with a large amount of Pixie dust…” Hermione prattled, the words to convey her meaning escaped her once more.

“Kaboom?” Ginny deduced, praying she was wrong, but sensing all along that she was not.

Hermione nodded. “Kaboom,” she confirmed in a frightened whimper.

Harry began to run to an undisclosed location and the rest of his dysfunctional entourage followed him in some confusion. Finally, it was Neville that voiced their thoughts.

“Harry, where are we going?”

Instead of answering, Harry had some quick questions of his own. “If there is a fire, where are students directed?”

“Great Hall,” Ron pronounced.

“Exactly,” Harry replied. “So if you wanted to corner the largest amount of unarmed students…”

“…You would create a diversion that would disable them from getting their wands, separate them from the staff who is undoubtedly trying to put out the fires and put them all in one location!” Hermione proclaimed.

“It’s about time you caught up,” Harry retorted.

Realizing the direction they were heading Ginny quickly spoke up, “Harry, if we go into the Great Hall now we’ll be walking into an ambush!”

Refusing to slow down Harry roared over his shoulder, “What choice do we have?”

Seeing no alternative the awkward group continued to pursue their leader. As the doors of the Great Hall came into view Ginny cast one thought into all of their minds, protect Harry.

As Harry threw the doors of the Great Hall open firm resolution lined the faces of those behind him, they were ready to go to war.

“Keep up your guard,” Harry warned in an undertone.

They entered the Hall tense and ready to do battle, but the sight that met them was morbidly calm. Older students were reassuring the crying younger students that their possessions and dorms would be just fine. The braver of the younger students were huddled together playing games such as exploding snap or trading sweets. Some people were laying on sleeping bags, trying to salvage a night of sleep in the mayhem.

Harry could feel his group losing their alertness to confusion so he ordered, “Keep up your guard,” once more.

“There’s not a single Slytherin here,” Ron reported with a swift, all-encompassing glance.

“Oh they’re here alright,” Harry persisted, “the question is where?”

The doors of the Great Hall swung open and Harry and his group turned to see who would enter. Dean Thomas, Seamus Finnigan, Lavender Brown, as well as Padma and Parvati Patil entered the Hall, all of them armed and anxious.

“There’s Harry!” Parvati exclaimed with a whoosh of relief.

“Harry, when Seamus told us that you were missing we were so worried!” Lavender cried.

“Well we’ve found him now,” Dean grunted, looking as though he were not entirely thrilled by the prospect.

Before Harry could respond to Dean’s lukewarm greeting the sound he had been waiting for reached his ears, hissing. Low, constant, hissing that did not break. Instead, it grew louder as more voices joined in. It was coming from the ceiling. The doors of the Great Hall slammed shut and a barrier of green fire burst into life in front of them. Balls of fire were shot at the windows and the same green flames engulfed them. There was no means of escape. Harry clenched his fists, he knew all along that they were walking into a trap and things were about to get ugly. He had a split moment to wonder how Snape’s Slytherin Soldiers managed to create such a convincing fake ceiling before the Soldiers came crashing threw their creation, armed and ready. They wore masks identical to the ones that the Death Eaters utilized.

No less than thirty Soldiers surrounded the Harry’s group. Screams broke out from the students outside the barricade that had formed around Harry as the full impact of what they were seeing hit them. The realization was quickly followed by spells being fired and returned by the students outside of the circle and the Soldiers that were not part of the blockade. It took Harry mere seconds to surmise that Dumbledore’s Army was at a distinct disadvantage, unarmed, caught off-guard, and separated from their leader they were quickly falling into a state of hysteria. The situation needed to be brought into control while there was still a chance to fight, and that could be done easily enough. Ginny was at Harry’s right hand side, and although he couldn’t use Volcency, he knew she could.

Tell Padma and Parvati to run through the break in the barricade, Harry informed Ginny.

What break? Ginny asked, clearly perplexed.

“That one!” Harry screamed, as he shot two of the Soldiers out of the way with a well placed disarming charm.

Harry was relieved to see Padma and Parvati run through the momentary hole and make it over to a group of first years who were being cornered by some burly Soldiers; however he did not have much time to revel in his success. With the first shot fired, spells were soon coming and going at a dizzying rate. Hermione and Ginny were foresighted enough to create a temporary shield that caused the Soldiers spells to rebound on them. Harry caught sight of Neville fighting off two Soldiers that were undoubtedly Crabbe and Goyle. As usual, they preferred to use their brawn over their brain during battle and Neville quickly got the upper hand with some of the more complex spells that Harry had laboriously taught him. Ron, Dean, Seamus and Lavender were casting hexes faster than any of the Soldiers could launch counter-hexes.

Harry grimaced as a particularly nasty hex nipped his earlobe causing it to grow at an alarming rate and then burst and spray him with pus. He fired a Jelly-Boggie Hex in retaliation and it hit the Soldier nearest him. The Soldier’s arms turned jelly-like and he lost grip of his wand, it crashed to the floor shooting harmless sparks at no one in particular. Harry was beginning to feel some of his old pride and confidence in Dumbledore’s Army and its members when a break in the circle surrounding him opened up a new line of vision. Just outside of the circle of fighting, thing were not going so well. Padma and Parvati had gathered as many first and second years as they could behind the Gryffindor table which was now lying on its side. Theirs were the only two wands among the group of fifty or so students.

Wisely, they had chosen not to fight the Soldiers, but rather to place a large magical blockade to rebound spells and protect the younger students. They were clearly having trouble maintaining the bubble that encased them, as it was a difficult spell and a large bubble. Harry knew that two people could hardly hold that spell for much longer, and though he hated to lose any more fighters he told Ginny to send Lavender and Seamus over to the struggling twins. The opportunity for them to go was provided by Ron and Dean who simultaneously shot the biggest Soldier that was menacingly bearing down on Hermione. Harry thought about splitting his group up so that the Soldiers would have to give them chase, but quickly cast the thought aside. The greatest number of Soldiers had their attention fixed firmly on his group; this gave the unarmed students a chance to take cover.

When Ginny sent a blast at two Soldiers attempting to curse Harry, he got an unobstructed view of several armed first years trying to hold off a single Soldier and doing a dismal job at that.

Ginny, have all the first, second and third years that are armed give their wands to the older members of Dumbledore’s Army. That will strengthen our numbers. Harry thought, desperately trying to level the playing field.

Moments later Susan Bones had successfully disarmed the Soldier attacking the first years using one of their wands. She was soon joined by Hannah Abbot and Justin Finch-Fletchy. The three, newly-armed Army members worked their way around the room rescuing the younger students and delivering them to the orb that Padma, Parvati and Lavender were somehow able to maintain. Seamus was fighting off the Soldiers that were shooting hexes and curses at the orb. They were successfully using an attack and defense strategy, Harry was happy to see. With his momentary lapse of attention Harry was struck in the shoulder with an engorging charm.

As his shoulder began to swell up dangerously and he was in risk of losing his wand a counter-charm hit him and a simultaneous Vexing hex was launched at his attacker. Both spells had come from outside of the circle, Harry was relieved to note. This meant that some members of the DA had managed to work their way to the main battle to offer assistance. Dean shot a Hurling hex from behind Harry and another Soldier fell. Ten down, twenty to go, Harry thought ominously. He wondered how long it would take the professors to realize what was going on, or if they had even managed to get the fires under control. No doubt Snape was hindering them as best he could.

Another Soldier encircling them was shot with a charm from behind and fell causing the remaining Slytherin Soldiers to scatter. Evidently they didn’t enjoy having their underhanded techniques used against them. As they broke ranks Harry’s momentary glee faded. Their movements and formation remained intact. Clearly this was a move that they had anticipated making. Another, even more chilling thought struck Harry, Where was Malfoy? Of the remaining fifteen or so Soldiers, several more had been taken out by those around him, none of them resembled Malfoy. Suddenly the hall went pitch black save for the fires blocking the exits. Panic reached a boiling point as the Soldiers continued casting spells without trouble.

It must be their masks, Ginny told him, I’m sure it helps them see in the dark.

Privately, Harry agreed, though voicing the matter could hardly help any. He cursed the sudden shift of power, the DA had just begun to make some headway and now that small victory was being stripped from them. Before he could ask Ginny for suggestions to help them see in the dark, Harry was handed a cold ball of orange flames by Hermione. He couldn’t hide his surprise, as the type of magic required to create those balls was well past NEWT level, but he was grateful nevertheless that Hermione took her studying so seriously. The ball illuminated ten feet or so around him, so he remained at a distinct disadvantage, but something was better than nothing.

After several more minutes of grueling fighting, ducking and shooting hexes, curses and charms, an unnatural silence fell upon the Soldiers. They seemed to retreat towards the flames blocking the exits. One of them screamed a command that Harry could not understand and they threw some sort of powder into the green flames while jumping back into the ceiling they had come from.

“Floo Powder!” Hermione screamed, realizing that they had been tricked.

“Duck!” Ginny commanded in response, grabbing Neville who was closest to her and forcing him down just in the nick of time.

Explosions, one after the other, resounded around the hall. Debris, candle-holders, lanterns, tables and chairs became flying weapons, hitting the students that were slow to duck. When the last of the explosions came Harry looked around, while the hall was still lit up by the bright green light and noticed that many bodies were now strewn across the ground. The hall was dark again with only the faint green glow and the few orange balls of flame Hermione had made to lend light to Dumbledore’s Army. In front of him, Harry spotted Colin and Dennis Creevey helping Luna Lovegood up from her position on the floor.

“Get down!” Harry shouted, as flames erupted with blinding flashes of light in front.

Colin, Dennis and Luna swiftly resumed their previous positions on the floor. Harry squinted at the fire blocking the Hall doors. It was flashing brightly, and then fading, then flashing once more and fading again. The pattern continued until the bright light faded and did not return; a total of five flashes. Perplexed by this strange behavior - even magical fires did not flare up without significant reason - Harry cautiously got up to investigate the cause. He had not taken five steps when he realized that a group of five people, four of them decked out in Death Eater finery and one young child, stood in front of the fire, scanning the room wickedly.

Blood flooded Harry’s brain flushing out the screams of those around him. The dim green light sufficed him as he approached the group of Death Eaters. As Harry reached the group, they made no sign of attack. Instead, three of the Death Eaters along with the young boy seemed to melt away so smooth was their dispersion. The remaining Death Eater held his ground firmly, arrogantly, fearlessly; there could be little doubt that this was the leader. Magic surged throughout Harry’s body so strongly that he felt as though the air around him was crackling from the tension. Every hair on the back of his neck and arms was standing as though a bolt of static had shocked him. Malfoy.

A smug Malfoy aimed his wand to the left of Harry. Though he was loath to take his eyes off his nemesis Harry turned his head and stopped the target of Malfoy’s wand, little Dennis Creevey. Turning back to Malfoy he was just in time to see the words forming on his mouth: Avada Kedavra. Harry screamed, though he would never recall that detail. It was the green flash from Malfoy’s wand that momentarily blinded him that would haunt him in the future. As the light died away Harry spotted the tiny body of Dennis hovering a few feet from him, before the contact wind broke and he dropped, his tiny bouncing head slamming against the hard floor causing blood to ooze from his skull. His eyes were open wide; open jaw surprise graced his face.

Aghast and feeling a rage he had never known before Harry pointed his wand at Malfoy, yelling out the two words that had taken so many of his beloved away from him. At least, he thought he had managed to yell the two words before the gripping pain latched a hold on his mind and body. Wreathing on the floor, he desperately hoped that death would come to relieve him of the mind-numbing pain that was ravishing him. Abruptly, the pain receded. From his position on the floor Harry gasped for air while groping around for his wand and glasses. Once the glasses were on his face and the wand firmly in hand, Harry jumped back up to his feet, swaying slightly as his body protested severely.

Thinking only of trying to hit Malfoy with the greatest of the Unforgivable Curses, Harry aimed for Malfoy’s heart. Again, Malfoy looked smug and aimed his wand at a shadow that was rapidly approaching him. Squinting, Harry recognized Colin just before the boy threw himself towards Malfoy in utter lunacy. Harry did not dare shot the spell due to Colin’s proximity to Malfoy. For his part, Malfoy looked cool as a cucumber, casually flicking his wrist when Colin was in ‘flicking’ range. He muttered the curse that caused the second burst of green light as though it were an after thought. Colin’s body was shot backwards at a high speed and dumped on his brother’s remains. The two wore identical looks of surprise.

Madness gripped the edge of Harry’s conscious. He screamed the words to end Malfoy’s life, sending the killing curse forth with a burst. A strong stream of the brightest green that he had yet to witness issued from his wand…and then rebounded. Harry felt his body hurdling to the ground seconds before the green light shot through the place where he had been standing. The spell did not stop at his old, unoccupied location, however. It continued until something that was very solid blocked its path, a Death Eater. Both hood and mask flew off of the face of Pansy Parkinson as astonishment set into her features. Malfoy screamed, forgetting his previous aloofness and running to his fallen comrade.

Harry took the opportunity to see who it was that continued to grip his knees, disabling him from rising at all. Luna, bruised, broken, and battered, gripped him all the more tightly when she met his eyes. Harry could sense the fear emanating from her, though she continued to use her body as a living shield for his protection. Struggling against her, Harry spotted Malfoy as he dragged Pansy’s body back to the fire in front of the Hall doors, and then they were gone.

They’ve got Ron! A panicked voice in his head screamed, pulling him from the daze that he had been under. Immediately he began scanning the faces of those closest to him.

Whose got Ron? Harry thought desperately to himself, quickly succumbing to the horror that had characterized the previous voice.

The Death Eaters! The voice cried out in hysteria.

It was then when Harry spotted the sight that terrified him beyond any thing that had happened thus far: Ginny’s limp body, blood dripping from a fresh wound on her head, her hair like some gruesome halo against her deathly white porcelain skin giving her the appearance of a slain angel. It was a grotesque image, almost identical to his mother after she had been attacked. With an almighty roar he ripped Luna away from him and ran to Ginny’s side. Crouching, he held her head in his hand and touched her blood with the other.

A call to retreat came from one of the Death Eaters, but it made no impression on him. Harry felt an undeniable swirl of memories flash before his eyes: Ginny laughing on the swing, walking down the wedding aisle, capturing the snitch from under his nose, kissing him…and then the blackness engulfed him. A moment was all it took.
Backstabbers and Two-Faced Rats by Wise Owl
Harry’s head was pounding; why, he couldn’t remember. The dull, steady throbbing robbed him of the sleep he sought to preserve. Strange sounds of whistling, the screech of metal and eerily hushed voices seeped into his conscious. His eyelids fluttered open and he struggled to gain control of his vision. He didn’t know where his glasses were, though it was doubtful that he would have the strength to so much as put them on. The large blurbs of six or so people stood over him, or were they carrying him? Yes, through the aching and soreness he could feel that his body was strapped onto some sort of contraption. Whether or not the people that had him were friends or enemies did not matter to him.

All that mattered were the people closest to him -- Ron, Hermione, and…Ginny. Ron was missing, captured by the enemy. Hermione...for all he knew she could be one of the blobs standing over him, he couldn’t think about any other possibility…what he had seen during the battle was ghastly enough to last a lifetime. Ghastly … Ginny … Where was Ginny? He tried to lift his head to look around for Ginny but to no avail. This sudden weakness could mean only one thing, at some point he had been drugged. This was an unsettling thought, he could feel etchings of fear begin to permeate throughout his conscious mind but then a voice broke through the haze and lightened his heart considerably.

“He’s waking up,” Hermione stated automatically though her tone was betrayed by a quiver in her bottom lip.

“I’ll get Madam Pomfrey,” Luna’s airy voice replied and one of the blurbs he had counted earlier disappeared.

“I’m worried,” said Neville, his anxious voice coming from the left side of Harry’s body. “It’s not normal for him to keep waking up with the amount of sleeping potion he’s been given.”

“No, it’s not,” Hermione agreed abjectly.

“Do you think he’s resisting the potion?” Seamus asked Hermione.

“It’s very rare for a person to have the willpower to do so,” she responded timidly.

“Well if anyone does it’s our Harry,” Madam Pomfrey announced, seconds before she opened his mouth and spilled some murky liquid steaming down his throat causing him to cough profusely. “That should do the trick,” she told the people surrounding him before hustling out of sight.

“That’s what she said the first two times,” Seamus muttered under his breath.

“Right then,” Dean’s assertive voice broke through the murmurings of agreement going on in the group, “you’re clear to board. Make sure you take it easy on the turns, we’ve already had several mishaps and I doubt the patients appreciated it.”

“Is Ginny…” Hermione paused and then continued with some hesitation, “awake?”

“Yes,” Dean said with an equally lengthy pause, “she’s back in form now.”

With that bizarre statement Harry felt the dizziness seep into his mind and the blurred outlines of his friends were lost to the black clouds that overwhelmed his vision. As he sank back into the oblivion that he had been struggling with, one thought brought him the peace he needed to lose himself to deep slumber:

Ginny’s safe.



When Harry regained consciousness it was due in part to the blinding stream of light that the sun was sending into the compartment he occupied. As though on a mission, the glares burned into his pupils, ripping him from the shelter of the black abyss and replacing it with a pool of red. His mind felt compressed and weighed down with menacing dread, but he couldn’t recall the cause of his foreboding. With much hesitation, he opened his eyes and reached to his left for his glasses. When, instead of grasping his glasses he found that he had grasped a human knee, he jerked himself up, his head throbbing in protest of being so unceremoniously yanked around.

“I believe you’re looking for these,” Ginny’s voice reached his ears, soothing his senses. She placed his glasses onto his face, taking care not to poke him in either eye.

When the world came into focus Harry recognized that they were sitting in one of the compartments of the Hogwarts Express. The meadows leaping across the window signaled that they had already been traveling for quite a few hours.

“We’re about halfway to the train station,” Ginny confirmed his suspicions. “You’ve been asleep for five or so hours. I was beginning to worry that Madam Pomfrey had overdone it with the sleeping potion.”

With the mention of Madam Pomfrey the memory of the last few hours he spent at Hogwarts hit him with the force of a bludger to the head. The questions he wanted to ask Ginny became so jumbled together that he was able to do little more that stutter. Finally, the realization of Ron’s capture enabled him to attain the control over his emotions that he so desperately needed. Emotions could be dissected later, but action had to be taken now in order to save Ron. Once he had regained his control, Harry looked at Ginny and felt his hard-fought control ebb away from him.

She looked dreadful. Although her head had been healed, most likely by Madam Pomfrey, her skin remained pale and stretched out over her face like wax on a skeleton. Her eyes were haunted with the sorrow of the images she had witnessed and she looked as though joy would never grace her lovely features again. Without thought, he wobbled over to her side of the compartment, realizing as he went that his body was still weak despite his wakeful mind. He sat, embracing her in a consoling manner as she had done for him in the past. It seemed like a lifetime ago that the memories in the memoirs had drawn them together.

Now, however, the fighting, pain, deaths, and missing people were a reality, not memories of the past. He couldn’t fathom how the Order members had dealt with these losses and inflictions when his own heart now wrenched so painfully that it threatened to burst from his chest in a vain attempt to stop the ceaseless torment that was gripping the very edges of his sanity. Dumbledore dead…Colin dead…Dennis dead…Ron missing…Then there was Pansy; he had murdered her with the killing curse meant for Draco. It was all just too much to take in.

“They got Padma as well,” Ginny whispered, and Harry knew she had been listening to his thoughts.

“She’s dead?” Harry asked, swallowing hard. Ginny nodded in affirmation before burying herself in his chest and letting the tears she had cut off when he awoke resume their course down the lines they had etched into her face. Fighting back the urge to join in her sorrow Harry asked, “Anyone else?”

“A couple first years,” Ginny responded with a hiccup, “and Evan Bailey.”

Harry was startled and felt somewhat vindicated when he heard that Evan Bailey had been killed.

“Someone from our side killed him?” he asked softly, hoping he was not overstretching her already raw nerves with his questioning.

“I did,” Ginny pronounced direly.

Her proclamation knocked the wind out of him. With a gasp he asked, “Are you sure?”

Ginny nodded her response. After some time passed and neither of them spoke, Ginny let out an audible sigh and explained, “He was directing the Death Eaters with him to Ron so that they could capture him.”

“You mean to say they purposefully wanted to capture Ron?” Harry cried out in distress. The idea that Ron was there intended target was a possibility that Harry had not entertained.

“That’s exactly what I’m saying,” Ginny agreed.

“Why? What would they want with Ron?” Harry implored.

Ginny shook her head in frustration, “All I could hear them thinking was that they needed to get Ron, nothing else.”

Harry mulled the news in his mind, but he could find no reason for Ron being the intended target. It was a forgone conclusion in his mind that she killed Evan in order to stop him from getting to Ron.

“No,” Ginny declared.

“No what?” Harry asked, wondering what part of his thoughts she was disagreeing with.

“I didn’t kill Evan to stop him from getting to Ron,” Ginny clarified, “it was after they captured Ron and shoved him into the green flames. I tried to go in after him, but I couldn’t get anywhere near the flames without being burned. The two Death Eaters had already gone so I did the only thing I could think of.”

“What was that,” Harry asked, a feeling of unnatural nervousness gripping him in anticipation of what he was about to hear.

“I tried to possess Evan so that I could go after Ron using Evan’s body,” Ginny confessed.

“But you couldn’t?” Harry inquired, morbidly fascinated despite himself.

“I couldn’t,” Ginny agreed. “I saw and felt everything he ever felt. His dreams, fears, desires... He was the one that betrayed Dumbledore’s Army and gave away our secrets to Snape’s Slytherin Soldiers. That’s why they were so ready for us.”

“I should have realized he was a traitor,” Harry railed at himself.

“So should I,” Ginny said, grief-stricken.

“So he let the Slytherin’s into Gryffindor to light it on fire?” Harry presumed.

“Actually, he was also the one who lit Gryffindor on fire. That was the plan all along. We had traitors within our midst the entire time and never realized it,” she said despondently.

“Who else was there?” Harry wondered aloud to himself.

“His friend, the one that was with him the night we ended up in front of the Ministry, he was a Ravenclaw. Mercil Greemal. He’s the one who set fire to Ravenclaw. The only common room the Slytherin’s actually needed to break into was the Hufflepuff’s,” Ginny interjected.

“How could we have missed that?” Harry groaned.

“We became preoccupied with the Ministry,” Ginny remarked. “All the while, they were giving Dumbledore the potion in the form of sweets. How could he have anticipated being poisoned by some of the youngest kids in school? It was genius.”

Harry couldn’t wrap his mind around the concept that they had been so thoroughly hoodwinked. Even though he knew that Peter Pettigrew was a prime example of a traitor from within, it baffled him that two were within their midst all along without arousing any suspicion of where their true loyalties lay.

“Actually, they were Slytherin’s all along,” Ginny commented.

Harry felt a slight ire at the way she piped in when he was trying to sort his thoughts but was intrigued enough to ask, “Who were Slytherin’s?”

“Evan and Mercil,” Ginny responded. If she noted his annoyance she didn’t show it.

“What do you mean?” Harry asked.

“The Sorting Hat placed them in Slytherin when they arrived three years ago,” Ginny told him in a conciliatory manner.

“How can that be?” Harry bellowed in frustration. “We are required to join the house that the Sorting Hat selects,” he insisted.

“That’s true,” Ginny conceded, “the Sorting Hat places us in the house we want but that year the too many boys wanted to go into Slytherin. Dumbledore asked Snape to select three boys to be sent to the other houses to even out the numbers.”

“Is that even allowed?” Harry inquired.

“Of course,” Ginny nodded. “Don’t forget the Sorting Hat only selects the house you desire. There have been times in the past when too many students were selected for a certain house and the head of the house was forced to seek lodging elsewhere for the students. The castle is only so big.”

Harry felt his throat go suddenly dry. “You mean we’ve had a Slytherin in our midst the whole time and we didn’t know! I put that kid on our house team!”

“I was as surprised as you are when I saw everything from Evan’s perspective,” Ginny reassured him.

“You haven’t explained how he died,” Harry prodded.

“When I possessed him, everything that I saw of his life, everything I’ve told you, it all happened in a matter of seconds,” Ginny explained with a sigh. “I was so overwhelmed…I didn’t realize that possessing someone feels like that…I mistakenly thought that I was losing myself to his identity so I made an error.”

“What error was that?” Harry pushed.

“I forgot the cardinal rule of possession,” Ginny whimpered. “To possess is to hold another humans soul in your own. When I left him…”

“You didn’t let go of his soul,” Harry ominously completed her thought.

Ginny looked as though the weight of the world was settled on her shoulders as she blinked back tears.

“I didn’t let go of his soul,” she confirmed. “When I left him, I accidentally ripped it from his body and he died.”

Harry shuddered at the thought.

“Did you see where they were planning to take Ron?”

“No, not where they planned to take him. I couldn’t see his future plans, only those that had already taken place. I do know one thing though. Peter Pettigrew and Bellatrix Lestrange were the Death Eaters with Evan, find them and they’ll lead us to Ron.”

Harry put his head in his hands to stop the barrage of thoughts colliding with each other. If ever he needed a pensive, now was the time. Wormtail and Bellatrix were within his grasp and instead of going after them he had a childish spat with Draco. Instead of avenging the death of Sirius, Cedric, and his parents’, he allowed himself to be distracted by pettiness. Ron was missing and it was entirely his fault. Just as he was dipping into a hot bathe of self-loathing the train came to a screeching halt at Platform 9 ¾. Besides the scattering sounds of kids rushing to and fro and reuniting with their families the sound of a loud thudding reached Harry’s ears. Suddenly, he heard a voice that lifted his spirits, if only slightly:

”Yeh lot! Where ‘re ye then?”
Allergies by Wise Owl
Harry leapt from his seat in a rush and clamored into the hallways with Ginny in hot pursuit. It took no more than a second to spot Hagrid, who was towering above all their heads as usual.

“HAGRID!” Harry yelled, before throwing himself into the giant mans arms.

As usual Hagrid enveloped him and Ginny into a bone-crushing hug, although this time Harry found that he welcomed its aching familiarity. When they separated at last, Harry studied Hagrid’s face intently. The bags under his eyes had swollen as though filled with bubator pus indicating that Hagrid had been doing quite a bit of crying. It was clear someone had informed him of Dumbledore’s demise. As though summoned by his thoughts Professor McGonagall with Hermione trailing behind her appeared just behind Hagrid.

“I’m glad to see you’ve awoken,” Professor McGonagall said tenderly with a nod of approval in Harry’s direction. “Please take them home at once,” she instructed Hagrid suddenly getting down to business, “and do not question Harry or Ginny until I have had the opportunity to do so.”

Hagrid nodded though his bleary eyes did not show that he had understood the order. It was not until Tonks appeared by his side that he began to move at all. With a curt nod acknowledging their presence, Tonks turned her attention to Professor McGonagall.

“Is he alright?” she asked, her eyes revealing the depth of emotion that her tone failed to hide.

“Remus is fine,” Professor McGonagall answered with a wave of her hand. “His orders are for you all to make sure that Harry, Hermione and Ginny arrive home safely.”

Tonks nodded adamantly and her eyes were suddenly blazed with passion.

“Mad-Eye is waiting just outside the door,” she told Hagrid, before turning to face them. “Harry, you stick with Hagrid, Ginny, you stay with me, and Hermione, you’ve been assigned to Mad-Eye. Make sure that you don’t lose your partner, understand?”

Once they had all nodded their assent she grabbed Ginny’s arm and Hagrid followed suit by latching on to Harry as they exited the train. Few people paid them any attention save for Mad-Eye who deftly assumed his position next to Hermione as they walked in procession out of platform nine and three-quarters. Taking the lead, Tonks led them out of King’s Cross and into the parking lot. They continued to walk swiftly until they reached a beat down old dress shop that went unnoticed by the Muggles around them.

“Apparate on three,” Tonks issued the command. “One…two…three…”

Harry felt as though he were being squeezed through a rubber pipe. His vision clouded over and a high whistling came from within his ears which he felt were flattened against his head. Just when his lungs were on the verge of collapse due to the lack of oxygen, he felt his feet plant firmly onto solid ground and took a large gulp of air. Multi-colored stars twinkled in front of his eyes for another minute or so, but Hagrid continued to drag him at a startling pace to some undisclosed location.

“We’re here,” Tonks called out. “Give them the parchment.”

Harry found her orders to be far less confusing than their present location. They were standing in front of a cloister of…well, “dwellings” would be the term he would use if he was being fast and loose with its definition. Strangely, standing in front of the rickety structures made him long for the Shrieking Shack and all its coziness. It would take several upgrades before the dwellings in front of him could boast all the amenities and comforts provided by the shack, and that was really saying something. He had no doubt, however, that he was now standing in the shadiest part of London if the beat up surroundings were any indication. It all seemed to be part of some bizarre joke. Why were they here of all places?

“’Ere ye go, ‘Arry.”

Harry looked down at the folded bit of parchment that had been shoved into his palm by Hagrid. It read:

Number one, Sunshine Lane
London Heights


Sunshine Lane! A more befitting name would be Dreary Way or Ramshackle Place! He was dumbfounded by the possibility that someone put effort into hiding something here of all places. Was a Secret Keeper really necessary, would anyone actually come here of their own accord?

“All done?” Hagrid asked. Harry nodded and the parchment disappeared in a blue puff of smoke. The similar puffs in front of Hermione and Ginny indicated that they too had received and read parchments of their own.

“Home, sweet home,” Tonks said miserably as she pushed open a door that Harry had not noticed before.

They all scampered inside, Harry, still feeling distinctly ill at ease about their location.

“This will be the new headquarters for the Order,” Mad-Eye grumbled. “For the time being,” he corrected, upon catching Harry’s disgruntled gaze.

“It’s the best we could do on such short notice,” Tonks clarified.

“Helps that it already has Secret-Keeper, doesn’t it?” Ginny supplied.

“It’s a good thing ye’re mom convinced Charlie tha’ he needed the extra protection ‘round ‘ere,” Hagrid nodded adamantly.

“Doesn’t seem like it would be a particularly difficult argument to make,” Mad-Eye whispered to Harry slyly.

“It wasn’t,” Tonks responded shortly, flipping on a light switch and temporarily blinding them all. “The glories of Muggle technology,” she said when the florescent bulb in the fixture above their heads flickered and dimmed.

“Would you mind if we relaxed a bit before Professors Lupin and McGonagall arrive to continue their questioning?” Hermione piped in and Harry realized that she had been uncharacteristically quiet.

“’Course ye can,” Hagrid said gruffly, the rims of his eyes filling anew with unshed tears, “ye’ve had a rough enough time.”

As Hagrid turned to wipe his eyes Mad-Eye indicated to Tonks that she ought to lead them to their destination. His own feelings of guilt and helplessness left Harry unable to offer a single word of condolence to Hagrid, so he reluctantly marched behind Tonks, leaving Mad-Eye with the difficult task of comforting Hagrid.

“Charlie gathered what was left of your things and sent them here,” Tonks told them as she led the way down a dank hallway. “I’ve taken the liberty of placing you all in the same room,” she added as they reached the last door and opened it with a rough shove.

The room seemed to wallow in its own misery, perfectly matching Harry’s current disposition. There were moth-eaten curtains flimsily fluttering as the window, although closed, continued to let in particularly chilly gusts of wind. Old cots with questionable, mold-like stains that someone had unsuccessfully tried to clean were littered along the walls. The floor was concrete, with a long crack running from one of the corners directly to the center of the room. Spotting his soot covered trunk at the end of the cot closest to the door, Harry gratefully stretched his body on its raggedy mattress. Hermione took a seat along the windowsill and forlornly gazed at the nothingness of the midday fog while Ginny absentmindedly fingered the remainder of her trunk.

“I’ll bet you’re hungry,” Tonks said, conjuring up a plate of mini-sandwiches and setting it on a rickety table with four small chairs that Harry had not noticed earlier.

Food was the furthest thing from his mind…until that moment. The smell of warm bread soon had him heading over for a bite. Not surprisingly, Ginny and Hermione followed suit, taking the two remaining seats before half-heartedly sampling the sandwiches. The meager meal was soon gone as they eagerly wolfed it down, not realizing that it had been more than a half-day since their last meal.

“Ron would have liked these,” Hermione said, placing the last sandwich in her mouth.

“He was always quite fond of them,” Tonks told Hermione with an acquiescing nod. “It’s the only recipe I ever picked up from Charlie.”

A ghost of a grin faintly graced Hermione’s face, but like an ember in the rain it was quickly extinguished. Harry, with a semi-renewed gusto, bristled over the fact that they were exchanging niceties. It was time for action, what action he could not say, but anything would be preferable to the sitting and waiting they were reduced to.

“We’re in big trouble,” Ginny said miserably. Her sobering words had the opposite affect on Harry, so much so that he wanted to scream like a crazed man because of all the turmoil that they embroiled within him.

“I just don’t understand it! Why take Ron?” Hermione furiously asked, genuinely perplexed. “They didn’t even go after you,” she said to Harry, pointing out the one thing that had been bothering him all along.

Harry stared at his feet. A feeling of quiet desperation and self-loathing kept him mute despite Hermione’s questioning gaze.

“He knew something that they wanted to keep hidden,” Hermione answered her own question after due consideration.

“What could Ron possibly know about SSS?” Ginny argued dismissively.

As she and Hermione continued to argue back and forth Harry felt his eyes glaze over and their voices became stifled, as though a set of earmuffs had been placed on his head. His minds-eye transported him back in time, to the previous night. Before the battle with SSS, before the fires breaking out…before Dumbledore’s death…a time before Ron had been taken hostage.

They were running down the spiral staircase…Ron let out a series of sneezes…Harry felt a rush of guilt for having been so agitated by Ron’s allergies. So what if they woke everyone in the Dorm? It wouldn’t have been the first time they had been caught out of bed. Why had he become so frustrated with Ron? Then, they reached the bottom of the staircase and entered into the common room.

Ron whispered, “Harry, I’ve just had an idea…”

He had an idea. What idea did he have? Harry gave himself the mental kick he deserved. He had been so upset with Ron that he had ignored him and his idea completely. Before Ron could say another word Hermione arrived and Harry ordered her back into the girls’ dorm to get Ginny.

“Harry,” Ron persisted, “when I was sneezing I remembered…”

What had Ron remembered? Could the thing he remembered be the key to unlocking the reason he was abducted? After all, Evan Bailey was there, lurking in the shadows. He heard Ron saying that he had just remembered something. But how could Evan know what Ron was about to say? Surely the SSS hadn’t taught all their members Volcency. Or had they? With Snape at their disposal, were they that powerful? Were they able to accomplish a feat that Ginny, an actual Volcen, could not? Than again, that was unfair to Ginny as DA was considerably larger than SSS. Could the information Ron was trying to share with him between sneezes have threatened SSS so much that they would abduct him before he could share it? Perhaps…but Harry was certain of one thing, Ron’s abduction had been a last minute addition to Malfoy’s plans.

“He had to know something,” Hermione yelled, tearing Harry out of his trance-like state, “why else would they make off with him instead of Harry?”

“He definitely knew something,” Harry interrupted their discussion suddenly and they both looked taken aback by his sudden intrusion into their argument.

Tonks, who was seated across from him, gave him a scrutinizing stare. He hastily explained his theory that Ron had some sort of breakthrough as they rushed down the dorm stairway, making sure to note that Evan Bailey had been witness to this sudden realization.

“Sneezing?” Hermione asked, her brows burrowing at the notion.

“Sneezing,” Tonks replied, a coolness settling into her tone so chilly that it seemed to turn the very air around them frigid. “Did you hear that, Ginny?” she asked in a deceptively calm voice, but Ginny’s expression remained impassive and her face expressionless.

“If only his allergies weren’t acting up,” Hermione went on, missing the interplay going on between Tonks and Ginny, “he could have had the time to tell you what it was.”

“If only he hadn’t sneezed…” Tonks replied in a crass tone that was somewhat belligerent. This time Hermione picked up on Tonks’ unusual behavior.

“What’s with you?” Harry asked angrily, concerned by Hermione’s hurt look.

Tonks’ face went from aggressive to that of someone in severe pain in a split second. Startled, Hermione pushed her chair closer to Harry for protection. Harry, however, continued to watch Ginny’s face which remained aloof as ever. Finally, as though a light bulb had been lit in his brain, he understood what was going on.

“Ginny, get out of Tonks’ body and leave her mind alone,” he said forcefully.

Hermione gasped, “Ginny’s not possessing Tonks,” she insisted in horror, but the confused look Tonks wore combined with the reanimation of Ginny’s facial features confirmed that Harry’s guess had been on mark.

“Why did you possess Tonks?” Harry asked quietly, still seething that Ginny had dared to do something so reckless when only hours ago she had killed someone by the same means.

“She needed to check my memories,” Tonks cut in, shooting Ginny a wary glance.

“Ginny, how could you!” Hermione sputtered in repulsed shock. “You could have hurt yourself and Tonks! You don’t have that type of control over your Volcency yet!”

Harry left Hermione to her assumptions about Ginny’s control over her Volcency, no matter how wrong they were, and continued to wait for Ginny’s answer to his question. When none was forthcoming, he decided to try a different tactic, turning to Tonks for answers instead.

“You asked Ginny about sneezing right before she possessed you,” Harry noticed, “why?”

“It’s funny, isn’t it? Every time a Weasley sneezes, they seem to go missing,” Tonks pointed out.

“First Percy and then Ron,” Hermione exclaimed, a look of comprehension crossing her face. “Sneezing didn’t stop Ron from telling Harry his idea! Sneezing was the thing that caused Ron to have the idea in first place!”

Harry thought back to Percy’s trial where he offered no defense but continually sneezed. Thinking back, Harry recalled that it was only after sneezing that Ron mentioned having an idea. Ginny couldn’t hear anything in Percy’s mind except I have to sneeze…Choo…I have to sneeze…Choo. It was a signal, a hint Percy was giving his family that Ron finally understood.

“He didn’t come here at all, did he?” Ginny’s voice, alienated, distant and hollow, spliced the silence. Harry returned his full attention to the people before him.

“Not once,” Tonks replied, the blood draining from her face as she gave Ginny a look of dismayed comprehension.

Ginny, it seemed, could not take the pity in Tonks’ gaze. She closed her eyes and let anguish and disbelief take a hold of her. Finally, after what seemed like eternity to Harry, she opened her eyes.

“Percy wasn’t sneezing,” she told them. “He was saying Choo Choo. Charlie is the murderer.”

“That can’t be,” Hermione stated simply, as though she noticed a flaw in a homework assignment.

“Why?” Tonks asked, or rather, she begged. Tonks clearly wanted Hermione to pull off one of her spectacular bursts of logic.

“Well, he was here with you when the murder happened,” Hermione answered calmly.

“No,” Tonks replied with disappointment, “that’s what Ginny was checking. The night before the murder he was at an Order meeting…”

“That’s right,” Harry recalled, remembering the discussion he had with Charlie the morning of the Giant attacks.

“From the meeting he went to help out with the Giant attacks,” Tonks continued, “or so he said.”

“How could he have gotten into the Ministry?” Hermione asked. “He would have been captured, or at the very least spotted by someone who could attest to him being there.”

“It was a mess at the Ministry with everyone coming and going to prepare for battle. He could have easily gotten in without attracting attention.”

Momentarily perplexed, Hermione bit her lower lip and digested the new information she had been given.

“Let’s say he got in without notice, how did he get into the restricted areas?” Harry asked.

“By somehow disabling Percy and stealing his wand Charlie could have easily maneuvered around the Ministry,” Tonks replied. “As you know, everyone entering the Ministry has their wand checked. That is because Ministry officials use their wands as a sort of identifying mechanism. Different security clearances are given depending on your job and as it so happens, Percy had full clearance given his position with the Minister. With security lax as a result of the attacks and using a wand that has full access Charlie could have easily scattered the body parts…”

“…scattered,” Harry piped in, “not murdered.”

“Being at the Order meeting, he had no time to kill Karkaroff,” Hermione declared triumphantly. “Not to mention that tracking Karkaroff down had to be a task in-and-of itself.”

“Percy was pointing at Charlie during the trial the only way that he could,” Ginny cut in harshly. “He must have been attacked by Charlie that night or else he wouldn’t have been fake sneezing.”

“But why did he take the fall for a crime he didn’t commit?” Hermione asked.

“Because the person who committed it was not acting of his own accord,” Harry rushed in with a new line of reasoning.

“Dumbledore checked every Order and Staff member personally and regularly to ensure they were not under the Imperius,” Tonks said, dashing his hopes. “Besides, with so many people who know him so well it would be impossible for us not to notice strange behavior.”

They all fell silent and the minutes ebbed slowly by.

“He was acting weird,” Harry broke the monotonous silence unexpectedly.

“In what way was he acting weird?” Tonks asked, although it didn’t look like she believed him.

“He would leave the room.”

Harry’s answer was met with more silence.

“I don’t understand,” Tonks interjected at last.

“Exactly,” Harry affirmed.

“I need you to explain,” she clarified.

“I can’t,” Harry said with a shrug. “He would just up and leave the room without explanation in the middle of a conversation or game of chess. Sometimes he would just leave before class was over without any explanation or…anything really.”

“Like when I was describing my trip with Dean to the Palace,” Ginny spoke at last with some excitement.

“That’s right,” Harry said, “and every time Ron and I would play a game of chess.”

“…and when I asked about the mating habits of the Queen Pixie,” Hermione said. She began pacing the length of the room tapping her forehead repeatedly and muttering incomprehensibly. Finally, she froze in mid-step. “Of course!” she cried out. “Why didn’t I think of it before? It’s so brilliant in its simplicity and undetectable by magic!”

“What is it?” Ginny asked, sitting at the edge of her seat, gripping the table so hard that her knuckles were startlingly white.

“It’s hypnosis!” Hermione declared triumphantly.

“What’s hypnosis?” Ginny implored, looking as though she may cry.

“Essentially, it’s the Muggle form of the Imperius curse,” Hermione responded.

“Don’t cry!” Tonks reassuringly patted her hand. “It’s a very mild form of the Imperius.”

“A person’s mind is cleared from all thoughts,” Harry explained, “then the hypnotist suggestively offers actions to the subconscious. Usually the hypnotist uses a trigger, like the word Queen in this case. When the person is brought back into consciousness they don’t realize that they have been hypnotized.”

“What happens next,” Ginny asked, captivated.

“Well, whenever they hear the trigger, it prompts them to do the action suggested to their subconscious mind by the hypnotist. For example, at my cousins fifth birthday a hypnotist made my cousin think he was a dog. Every time he heard a bell he would act like a dog, until the hypnotist un-hypnotized him,” Harry elaborated.

“Every time anyone said the word ‘Queen’ Charlie would leave the room and go write a message and get an owl to send it. He’s been information unknowingly to Voldemort all this time!”

“How do you know he sent letters?” Ginny asked, looking as though she were about to faint, whether from relief or horror Harry couldn’t tell.

“I followed him several times, continuing our conversation about Pixie mating habits. He only left class after I mentioned the Queen Pixie. You see I was having so much trouble grasping the concept that she is the only female in a Pixie herd that I didn’t realize anything strange had happened. I wasn’t paying close attention to his actions.”

“Makes sense,” Tonks said, warming up to the theory that Charlie was under hypnosis. “Naturally you would mention the word queen in chess and when discussing the palace.”

A thrill coursed through Harry. Percy was innocent and so was Charlie! Of course it was Voldemort who had been behind the murder of Karkaroff! Hadn’t Harry heard him order Karkaroff’s death the night Cedric died? Implicating a member of the Weasley family as the culprit would be rather appealing to the Death Eaters given that two of the Weasley kids had fought alongside Harry in the Mysteries Department of the Ministry of Magic the previous year. Harry grinned, things were looking up. True, Percy and Ron were still missing, but he was certain that Voldemort would use them as bait to lure him into battle…assuming he had them both, that is. Charlie would need to be de-hypnotized somehow. Harry doubted that a healer could work much magic on this Muggle innovation. Perhaps they needed to kidnap a Muggle hypnotist to that affect and then alter his memory. If so, he fondly remembered the name of the hypnotist that had put Dudley under.

“We’re in danger,” Ginny said in a whisper so low that Harry barely heard her.

“Why is that?” Tonks asked.

Ginny looked up at them wearing a look of incredulity. “Don’t you realize? The Secret Keeper for this home is a spy of Voldemort’s.”

No sooner had the words left her mouth than loud sounds of curses being fired reached their ears. The sounds were ushered in by the body of Hagrid which crashed through the shabby door of their room and flew onto the table, demolishing it in the process. His face showed no pain or sorrow, only a fleeting look of surprise that chilled Harry to his very core. Before he had time to process a single thought a searing pain burst from his scar ripping through his entire body. He couldn’t remember screaming, he couldn’t remember thrashing around on the ground in abject pain; all he could remember were the dead bodies of his loved ones and his ardent desire to join them.
Save Ginny by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
Yes...I'm the worst person ever in the history of the universe!!! I know you've been waiting for an update and this has just been sitting there all along! Well one fan has been waiting on this chapter for a while...thanks for naming it!

Harry fell, crashing to the floor. As he thrashed about the floor beneath him vibrated violently. For a fleeting moment he had the disturbing fear that Giants were attacking, but then the pain that had been slowly receding from his scar shot through him again, raking over his body like molten lava. He could feel the fire as it spread over him, as though with a purpose, separating his skin from his body, and then it was over. Breathing as though he had run a marathon, Harry struggled to sit up though his attempts proved futile. It was another minute before Harry felt arms gripping his own and lifting him so that he was upright. As the haze clouding his vision faded he saw the concerned faces of Hermione and Ginny. The ground below him gave another lurch and he tried valiantly to stand, but failed miserably once more. His throat was so parched that he could only make wheezing noises when attempting to speak. A sudden fear and foreboding coursed through him as the two girls continued to loom over him nervously. Why weren’t they preparing for battle? Why did they stand over him as though he were infirm? Didn’t they realize their backs were to the door?

“Let me through,” the bossy, anxious voice of Madam Pomfrey came out of nowhere. “How long has he been awake?” she asked as she forced a jelly-like potion down his neck.

“He’s just woken up,” Hermione answered.

“He fell off the stretcher, onto the floor,” Ginny added.

The two girls shared a worried look.

“Well that’s all I can do for now,” Madam Pomfrey said, levitating Harry back onto his stretcher. “Call me if his condition changes,” she told them as she headed back out of the door.

“Bit of light might be helpful,” Neville suggested and Luna dutifully obliged with a flick of her wrist.

Another bump shook their cabin violently just as Harry came to the realization that they were on the Hogwarts Express.

“Wazzit?” Harry asked groggily, wanting to know what they were doing back on the train. Had they lost the battle? Where was Hagrid’s body now?

“You’ve been asleep for the entire ride,” Hermione answered shakily, taking a seat to his right.

“They’ve been worried you wouldn’t wake up,” Luna said with an honesty that made those around her fidget.

A small hand pushed the wet hair on his forehead out of his face and gently replaced his glasses, tucking them carefully behind his ears.

“Can you see?” Ginny quietly asked.

He nodded, struggling again to sit up. The dizziness that washed over him when he successfully sat receded slowly and he found that he had regained control over his speech.

“Where’s Hagrid?” He meant to ask where Hagrid’s body was but couldn’t bring himself to do so.

Looking around he saw that Ginny, Hermione, Neville and even Luna wore stunned looks on their respective faces.

“Hagrid?” Hermione asked with a note of disbelief in her tone.

Harry nodded his throat constricting as he did so.

“Hagrid?” Ginny repeated, incredulity lacing the surprisingly high pitch her voice had taken.

“Do you mean to say, ‘Where’s Ron’?” Neville cut in nervously.

“I think his mind may still be a bit addled,” Luna said, in a surprisingly normal manner.

“Hagrid’s body…” Harry began, but couldn’t complete the terrible thought.

“You mean Dumbledore’s body,” Hermione offered sympathetically. It seemed that she had sided with Luna that Harry was still somewhat out of it.

Instead of trying to convince Hermione that he was quite lucid, Harry turned to Ginny for help, this time with a new tactic.

“How did we get back on the Hogwarts Express?” he asked.

Ginny, who had seemed genuinely perplexed only seconds before, nodded with a patient sort of understanding.

“Do you remember Dumbledore’s death?” she asked, valiantly holding back her tears.

Harry nodded.

“How about the fires that led us to the Great Hall for the battle with SSS?”

Again he nodded.

“Well, you were knocked unconscious at the last moment by a particularly nasty curse,” Ginny informed him.

He nodded, a feeling of frustration unfurling within him. He was well aware of everything that she was telling him.

“Then, Madam Pomfrey gave you an extra large dose of sleeping potion to help you fight off the effects of that curse,” Neville chimed in.

“That is to say, you needed to sleep it off,” Hermione corrected.

“…and now you have!” Luna announced with more gusto than was appropriate.

The strangest sensation tickled Harry’s spine a full minute before he could identify it…hope furled within him. Had he been sleeping the entire time? Was Hagrid’s demise just an awful dream?

“Does Tonks live on a street called Sunshine Lane?” he asked Ginny hesitantly.

“Far from it,” she said with a very unladylike snort.

The feeling of elation spread throughout his body so fast that his brain was immersed by a queer floating sensation much like the brain freezes he had experienced after one too many banana split sundaes. He experienced a minor twinge in his scar and his hand shot automatically to cover it, but not before he spotted Ginny’s glazed over eyes.

“Get out of my mind!” Harry yelled standing abruptly, and then realizing that he was still weak when his knees gave way and he was back in the stretcher.

Ginny gave him an exasperated and somewhat angry look. “How did you know I was listening?” she asked pointedly.

“You weren’t just listening,” Harry roared back, his scar still stinging by her intrusion, “you were trying to vessel voyage into me!”

The accusation hung in the air as warning bells and whistles began to clang in Harry’s mind. For a moment he couldn’t fathom why the room had suddenly gone so still, but then…

“I don’t understand…” Luna’s dreamy voice brought his oversight swiftly into focus.

“Vessel voyage?” Neville stated as the normally confused look on his face became all the more pronounced.

Harry panicked. He broke out into a cold sweat that rapidly ebbed away his remaining strength and forced him to lie back in the stretcher. What had he done? Ginny’s face, whitewashed by shock floated before him. Hermione, her shrewd eyes revealing the need for damage control. Luna, her dreamy eyes giving away the vast intellect that challenged Hermione’s own, quickly working to decipher the clue Harry had unwittingly given. Neville’s face, his pudgy cheeks puffed out as he gazed at Ginny with fear in his eyes and Harry knew that he had understood the term even if Luna had yet to work it out. Harry closed his eyes, his need to escape greater than ever before. Why had he said that? What had he done?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------

When he awoke again it was not because the train was trudging along at high speeds over bumps and around sharp curves. As a matter of fact he was not on the train at all, he realized grateful that his glasses had been left on his face though he took a moment to wipe them down before returning to his perusal of the room. It didn’t take long to recognize the vestiges as that of Privet Drive. He wondered for a moment if he was actually back on the train having yet another nightmare due to the curse that had hit him when a movement in the shadowy corner of the room caught his attention. Sitting quietly, watching him with icy silence through red-rimmed eyes was Ginny. Something about her frightened him, something about her was primordial, ferocious, and even evil. A flash of red illuminated her body, then all at once, before Harry had a chance to consider it, it was gone.

“Hello Gaia,” Ginny said calmly, though the ferocity in her eyes did not match her measured tones.

“Ginevra,” Harry heard himself reply flippantly and recoiled with the awareness that Ginny was addressing him, well, his body at any rate.

“It’s been a long time old friend,” Ginny said in a clipped demeanor.

“Indeed,” Gaia agreed in mock sadness. Harry felt that he had been caught in some sort of parallel universe.

“What have you done to Harry?” Ginny demanded her temper bursting through the thin façade of indifference that she had been unable to maintain.

“Why whatever do you mean?” Gaia replied gaily, unfazed by the little girl’s temper tantrum.

“How did you do it?” Ginny asked, taking less than a second to change tactics and play on Gaia’s ego. “How did you vessel voyage into a moving target when you didn’t even know where that target was going to be?”

“Flattery will get you nowhere,” Gaia replied coolly, repositioning the playing field to her advantage. “I assure you the more fascinating question is why? Why did I risk being lost, when I could so easily have gotten in touch with you by other means?”

“Very well then,” Ginny said through heavy breathing, “we’ll play it your way. Why, indeed?”

Harry or Gaia as it were, lovingly fingered an old, blood-stained dagger that was hanging on the wall. It was a grotesque form of decoration that made Harry cringe. A knock on the door drew their attention and silenced the conversation. Without waiting for an invitation Hermione threw open the door and quickly spotted Harry, awake and able to stand of his own accord. Relief seeped throughout her face even as the trapped Harry screamed muted warnings to alert her of the danger she had walked into. With a casual flick of his hand, as though shooing a pesky fly, Gaia slammed Hermione into the hallway wall and slammed the door shut. Another flick and all the window covers were drawn shut and a fire erupted in the hearth.

“Someone will come up to see what’s taking her so long,” Ginny mentioned casually.

“Well then, shall we get down to business?” Gaia asked in the same tone one would use when asking for a scone during a tea party.

“Let’s,” Ginny replied tersely, “and be quick about it.”

“Is that any way for you to talk to the person you planned to frame for the murder of Igor Karkaroff?” Gaia asked with sickening sweetness.

“Cut the small talk,” Ginny ordered, standing so she could be face-to-face with Harry. “We both know you’ve been possessing Charlie all year,” Ginny declared.

“Liar!” Harry hissed, feeling a rush of molten anger. “I only possessed him once to talk to you!”

“Now who’s lying?” Ginny asked, her face turning scarlet as she lost all semblance of control. “First Charlie, then Ron, and now Harry,” Ginny spat out with all the hate she could muster, “you’re nothing more than the devil’s own.”

Harry saw his hand collide with the side of Ginny’s face and realized that Gaia had slapped her. He seethed, knowing that she had dared to use his body to harm Ginny and swore oath after oath of vengeance against her. Ginny’s reaction was along the same lines as she brought up her wand to inflict damage upon her attacker who in turn laughed like a madwoman.

“Go ahead,” Gaia taunted, splaying Harry’s arms open in a come and get me type of fashion. “Perform your precious little bat boogey hex if you can muster up the courage,” she mocked in a carousing manner. “Why you can even perform the Avada Kedavra,” she rejoined, “I won’t mind at all.”

“You evil…” Ginny began her forehead beading with sweat at the exertion of holding herself back.

“Tut, tut, tut,” Gaia responded warningly while placing Harry’s own wand to his neck, “we musn’t forget ourselves and become impolite boors.”

Ginny quickly backed off, but was a bit slower at putting her wand hand down.

“Just remember, his life is as much on the line as yours is,” Gaia whispered.

“I should expect no more from someone who works for Voldemort,” Ginny shot back, her anger still evident though she made no move to act on it.

Harry felt the anger flare up in him once again along with something else, a feeling of injustice.

“You’ll do as I say or the boy dies,” Gaia said evenly, her emotions firmly reigned in.

After a moment, Ginny gave a jerk of her head to indicate her cooperation. Harry felt an adrenaline rush and realized that Gaia was on the verge of achieving her goal, whatever it was. He desperately fought to regain control of himself but to no avail.

“What will it take for you to leave him?” Ginny asked, her voice resigned and prepared to make whatever sacrifice required to ensure Harry’s freedom.

Dread filled Harry even as Gaia’s jubilation caroused through him. Ginny put herself at the mercy of this madwoman and Harry couldn’t do a thing to stop her.

“It’s quite simple actually,” Gaia told her, “all I want is a trade…you for him.”

Harry screamed. He fought for control so fiercely that Gaia almost let him slip back into power but that didn’t happen. Instead, she held on long enough to see Ginny nod her head stiffly. Ginny’s body went limp and fell to the floor though a bright light of purple brilliance remained where she had been standing only seconds prior. Harry realized he was seeing Ginny through Gaia’s eyes and was, for an instant, transfixed the sheer power of Ginny’s essence.

”I didn’t do it,” Gaia’s voice whispered inside his head, “she lies to protect her lover!”

”Stay!” Harry pleaded, determined that Ginny not sacrifice herself for him. ”If you’re telling the truth don’t take her!” he insisted.

”If you love her, come for her,” Gaia challenged, as he felt her beginning to break away from him. The molten lava burned quickly through him, hastily making its way to his scar. ”Where?” Harry thought desperately, resisting their separation.

”Check the Memoirs…” Gaia advised in the merest of whispers before the link between them was irrevocably broken and his forehead exploded in pain. As a purple pink mist disappeared before his eyes the door of the room was smashed to bits by a kaleidoscope of Order members and Harry, weakened once more, fell into the arms of their leader, Remus Lupin.
Sapphire Eyes by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
Gaia left Harry a not so simple task in the last chapter...let's see if he can sort the pieces of the puzzle and save Ginny, shall we?

“I, too, suspected Charlie had a hand in this mess,” Lupin confided from the nook he had taken to since Gaia had possessed Harry.

Ginny’s body had long since been taken to the Burrow where a security team of six Order members, not including the Weasley’s, kept a vigilant watch on her.

“You think that Voldemort used Muggle mind control on him?” Mad-Eye asked in a gruff tone.

“Not likely,” Lupin responded. “However it is clear that he is currently under a form of mind control that neither Ginny nor Gaia could understand.”

“So he didn’t commit the murder of Igor Karkaroff?” Tonks inquired with a relieved look in Bill Weasley’s direction.

“I do not believe his actions were of his own freewill,” Lupin added for clarification.

“Percy tried to clue us in with all that sneezing he did at the trial,” George said, casting Bill an upset look.

“No good can come from dwelling on that which we can not change,” Lupin told George in a somewhat consolatory manner.

“Ginny knew,” George cut in, his features hardened by the fact that Ginny had hidden Percy’s true thoughts from her family.

“She couldn’t very well point Charlie out as the murderer in the middle of the Ministry,” Hermione cut in logically.

“Ron knew as well,” Harry mentioned, almost as an afterthought.

“He must have,” Lupin nodded in agreement. “Every member of the Weasley family who worked out the fact that Charlie is under some form of mind control has, in some way or another, been kidnapped.”

“Do you mean to say that there is a traitor amongst us?” Hermione cut in.

“There must be,” Lupin responded after pondering her words over.

“Even now?” Harry asked.

Through narrowed eyes he studied the people in the room. There were Hermione, Bill, and George, none of whom could be the traitor. Tonks was in such a fit over Charlie that he sincerely doubted she could be the traitor. Mad-Eye was, as always, shifty and ill-at-ease, but not more than the usual. That left Lupin, could he be working with Gaia? Even that didn’t sit well with Harry. Deep down inside, Harry had an inkling that Gaia was telling the truth when she proclaimed her innocence.

“I doubt that the traitor has crept so deeply into our ranks as to be amongst us right now,” Lupin said, casting Harry a furtive gaze that lasted an uncomfortably long time.

“The important thing now is to save Ginny before she becomes lost,” Bill’s voice effectively severed the contact between Harry and Lupin.

“All we know is that there is something in these Memoirs that Gaia wants you to see,” Lupin remarked, gazing down at the legacy that he held in his hands, “but where to start?”

“Professor, may I assume you’ve been through all the memories in the Memoirs?” Hermione asked timidly.

“I have, many times,” Lupin agreed.

“Is there anything that stands out?” Tonks queried.

“Too much,” Lupin answered, “but I can think of nothing that can help us in our quest to find Ginny.”

“Looking through all those memories one-by-one will take too long,” George groaned.

“Even if we come across the right thing, how will we know?” Bill complained.

“I don’t think that will be necessary,” Hermione interjected. Once she had everyone’s undivided attention she continued. “The memory we are looking for must be blatantly obvious, after all, Gaia wants Harry to come to her.”

”There are numerous memories with Gaia in it,” Lupin pointed out.

“May I assume you’ve been through them all, several times?” Hermione asked.

Tonks looked stoically at Hermione without as much as a blink.

“I have,” Lupin answered, shooting a longing look Tonks’ way.

“All of them?” Hermione continued.

“Yes,” Lupin replied calmly.

All of them?” Hermione reiterated.

“Yes,” he insisted.

“I heard it was you who found the body of Gaia,” she said meekly.

Lupin looked taken aback. “It was.”

“And…did you…that is to say…did you put that memory in the Memoirs?” Hermione stumbled through the question.

“I did,” he nodded stiffly.

“Would I be wrong in assuming you haven’t revisited that particular memory?”

“You would not,” Lupin admitted. After another moment he opened the Memoirs and shuffled through until the last few pages. “Here it is,” he informed them.

“How can Gaia know about that memory?” Tonks asked, unsure of Hermione’s logic.

“Because she wasn’t really dead,” Lupin fielded the question, “her death was faked.”

“Perhaps Harry can tell us why?” Hermione suggested.

“How can I do that?” Harry exclaimed in surprise.

“Obviously there is something in that memory that Gaia wants you to see,” Hermione stated simply, as though speaking to an infant.

“I find that I must agree with Ms. Granger,” Lupin added, looking excited at the prospect. “Would you mind terribly if I joined you?”

After a deep breath, Harry nodded his assent to Lupin and they both approached the Memoirs, wands at the ready.

“We’ll be about ten minutes,” Lupin informed the rest before looking at Harry. “Ready?”

They both tapped the image of the disheartened werewolf that was mopping in the corner of the page with their respective wands. Dutifully, a screen unfurled from the center of the page and Harry and Lupin leaned forward, falling face first into oblivion for a full minute before the world righted itself and Harry landed deftly on his feet, Lupin at his side.

It was nighttime in the memory. Hazy clouds of rolling fog descended upon them in waves as thick as the maritime air that created it. Harry spotted a shadow creeping up the path ahead of them towards an unusual lighthouse that shone like a beacon in the night and deftly followed. It was difficult to see where he was going with the moon so thoroughly covered by the dense, ominously rumbling clouds but at last they arrived at a lighted pathway that lead directly to the entrance of the lighthouse. The figure of a much younger Lupin was now fully illuminated by the incandescent glow around them. He walked past the front door to a very battered looking old wall that looked as though a strong wind could fell it and continued to walk right through the wall.

“Go ahead,” the older Lupin whispered in his ear, nudging him towards the wall that the younger Lupin had stepped through.

Taking a deep breath Harry braced himself for the horror that would be on the other side of the wall and walked into it. Expecting to see grotesque images of Voldemort’s wrath, he was shocked instead to find a palatial estate richly decorated in deep burgundy and gold ornaments. Not pausing to take in the grandeur, young Lupin forced Harry to keep a brisk pace in one room and out the other in what seemed to be an endless maze. Every now and again Harry had the feeling that they were walking through a room that they had already been through, but dismissed the notion because it appeared that young Lupin knew exactly where he was headed. After they had walked through no less than ten separate rooms, the young version of Lupin stopped suddenly in the center of the third room they had entered and waited.

Mere seconds passed until the floor fell from under the feet of young Lupin and he fell, rather calmly, into the hole that had just been created in the center of the room. Harry realized all at once that they were in the house that Ginny had placed in his dreams, and apparently Lupin knew how to crack the code and get into the secret room whatever room he desired. Without a second thought or a backwards glance at his companion, Harry jumped into the hole in the floor desperate to see the destination of the young Lupin. Instead of falling down, Harry felt as though he was falling up. He twirled and spun until he felt he could no longer identify his right hand from his left and then he crashed hard on the floor and lay sprawled for a full minute. It was not until the older Lupin picked him up and set him back on his feet that Harry’s world was once again justified and directions regained their meaning.

“Burglar destabilizer,” the older Lupin informed him with a reproving glare at the ceiling above them where an ominous cloud continued to swirl threateningly in the center.

Instead of responding, Harry quickly spotted the young Lupin working a latch on one of the twenty multi-colored doors that the room offered and ran to join him. After a brief second or two, the young Lupin had picked the lock and pulled the door wide open. Stepping through, he slammed the door shut behind him and Harry cursed loudly in frustration. He and the older Lupin were still trapped in the room full of doors when the doors shuffled their colors and traded keyholes, locks, and knobs.

“How are we ever going to get out of here?” Harry asked feeling frustrated beyond belief.

“We’re not,” the older Lupin answered.

Before Harry had the chance to question why, the young Lupin fell from the ceiling and reappeared in the center of the room.

“I miscounted the doors,” the older Lupin told Harry. “It was the thirteenth door down, not the eleventh that I incorrectly opened.”

Grateful that he had not hazarded this memory alone, Harry waited patiently until the young Lupin recounted and opened the correct door. This time, he did not slam the door, perhaps fearing that he had miscounted yet again.

“After you,” the older Lupin said, and Harry swiftly followed the younger version.

The door slammed shut behind them and before Harry could give it another thought fire exploded before them, engulfed the room in its frenzied furor.

“Lay down,” the old Lupin commanded, throwing himself to the floor.

Harry hastily followed suit and spotted the young Lupin from the corner of his eye lying in the center of the room fully submerged in flames. The fire was so intense that his clothing clung to his sweat drenched body.

“Just an illusion,” the Lupin by his side reassured him as the younger version cried out in pain.

Harry sincerely hoped that it was as he flattened himself further into the ground. Soon the fire had worked its way to them and, to Harry’s astonishment, he felt nothing more than a cool prickling sensation. Once the room was entirely enflamed, floo power fell from the ceiling and the flames sparked with green embers that snaked their way to the young Lupin and swallowed him into the floor. Seconds later, the floor rumbled beneath Harry and green flames seemed to capture and pull him down into the floor. Harry would have given into his inclination to panic if it were not for the Lupin besides him who continued to look as though they were on a mildly exciting field trip.

Suddenly they emerged lying on the floor of a new room. Harry was blinded by white: White light, white furniture, white ceiling, and white floor. Dizzy, Harry closed his eyes to regain his bearings, but before he was able to do so a howl of pain had him jumping to his feet to remove himself from danger. After steadying himself, Harry noticed that the young Lupin was clinging to the bloody body of a woman with the lightest porcelain skin and darkest black hair he had ever seen, the contrast was stunning. Old Lupin stood behind the younger version looking down at the woman in a distraught manner not unlike the one his counterpart wore.

Harry was loath to intrude on the mourning of either Lupin and cast his restless eyes to the ceiling. Horrified, Harry saw a pair of eyes staring down at him. They were the brightest sapphire blue eyes and Harry remembered them instantly.
Before he could so much as make a peep, a man with dirty blond hair and pale skin jumped down from the ceiling. It was all that Harry could do to scamper out of his way to avoid being crushed, but the man didn’t notice him at all. This was the second time that Harry had found himself in this man’s company and again he was at a loss to stop him. Hearing the intrusion, the young Lupin looked up from his spot of mourning, his eyes fixed upon the intruder.

The sapphire-eyed man looked stunned to see that he had company, only then did Harry notice that the man was covered in blood. Before Harry or the young Lupin could come to any conclusion the man blotted into a fireplace filled to the brim with white flames. Roaring with rage, the young Lupin tore after him with Harry and the older Lupin hot on their heels. A few fireplaces later, they fell into the center of the room with the twenty doors. One door lay open and Harry, correctly assuming that they had taken that path, continued his pursuit. Ten rooms later, Harry and the older Lupin had significantly closed the gap between them and their quarry.

Harry recognized the expanse of wall that the sapphire-eyed man disappeared through as the exit of the house and they all continued to give chase. Once they were on the opposite side of the wall, however, the young Lupin stopped. Harry wanted to continue running after the sapphire-eyed man and would have if the older Lupin had not held him back, pointing to the younger version of himself. As he had seen him do once before, the young Lupin, struck by a beam from the full moon, began to painfully transform into a werewolf. Once the transformation was complete, the werewolf took off in the same direction that the sapphire-eyed man had run. The memory, however, became hazy and Harry knew that the werewolf had remembered nothing of the events that unfolded afterward.

“I suspect I may have killed him,” Lupin confided, wearing an expression of deep remorse. “They say his body was mutilated beyond recognition.”

“No!” Harry exclaimed, feeling the book trying to eject them. “He’s alive! That’s the man I saw torturing Dean’s father!”

Lupin gave him a scrutinizing glare. “Are you certain?” he shouted over the whooshing noise that the book made as it transported them out of the memory.

“Positive!” Harry screamed back, desperate to be heard over the clamor. “Who is he?”

Lupin raised his wand over his head, but stopped at Harry’s question. “It’s Regulus,” he answered over the wind that was now sweeping them upwards, “Regulus Black.”

Harry grabbed Lupin’s arm and raised his own wand over his head. Finally, he shouted, “Evanesco!” and the Memoirs happily spat them back out into the present where a crowd of people anxiously awaited their return, looking as though they had been gone no more than ten minutes.
Ameen Khalali by Wise Owl
Author's Notes:
I know it's been a while and I apologize for the delay! Let's pick up where we left off...Harry has been challenged by Gaia to find Ginny and gets some help from the Memoirs.

Someone had beaten them there if the set of recent footprints in the dusty walkway was any indication. Harry held the horde of battle ready Weasleys and Order members back with a single raise of his arm. He hid behind the brambles surrounding the lighthouse and the others quickly followed suit. It seemed that he had uprooted Lupin in his position as leader of the Order, but Harry had no time to consider that. He was too focused on his goal, rescuing Ginny, to notice the subtle shift in the group dynamic. More importantly, it appeared that someone had beaten him to the lighthouse and he silently cursed the fact that almost every male had opted to come with him as back up for retrieving Ginny’s soul, as they had considerably slowed him down. They were forced to Apparate to a distant location and then fly in rotating formation due to the many secrecy charms that the lighthouse boasted, it also didn’t help that it was unplotable. Many sensory charms and counter-charms were utilized by the eldest members of the Order who had had previous encounters with unearthing secret locations, but Harry suspected that he would have been able to find the house if he ventured out on his own. In the recesses of his mind, something told him that the lighthouse wanted to be found by him. Strange as an inanimate object having wishes sounds he had chosen to ignore that niggling feeling, but now he wished he hadn’t.

A movement in the bushes ahead caught his attention and his hand tensed on his wand, he took no aim however, as his eyes caught sight of the rabbit which had made the noise. Harry stoically resumed his perusal of the situation, for which there appeared to be only one solution, he would have to go into the lighthouse entirely unaccompanied and trust that Gaia or Ginny would sense his presence and lead him to them. Taking others would only confuse the Volcens and add to the amount of noise they normally heard when utilizing their powers. Could Ginny even use her powers when her soul had been stolen? Harry held back a shudder at the thought. Much as he hated the soul-sucking dementors, he secretly wished that they were the ones who had taken Ginny’s soul, as it would then be a simple matter of her escaping their clutches and returning to her body. It was not so when another Volcen took her, the possibilities for becoming lost were endless, which was why he had to get to her as soon as possible, or preferably sooner.

“I’m going in,” Harry whispered silently to Lupin who was inches away in the same bramble that Harry used for cover.

His whisper was barely perceptible, nothing more than a breath carried to Lupin’s ears on a fluttering breeze of wind, but Lupin’s jerky nod signaled that he had heard. In less than a heart beats time, Harry considered the possibility that Lupin could be a traitor and that this entire thing could be a set-up, and then he calmly shuffled that thought aside. Even if Lupin was working with Gaia, Ginny still needed rescuing; the other two could be dealt with later. Large clouds moved like a blanket on the heavens, covering the white beams of the moon from the inhabitants of Earth, Harry steadied. There was a flare of heat in his pocket and Harry didn’t have to check to know that it was the coin that the DA used to schedule meetings. Before he left for the lighthouse he and Hermione had devised a secret plan so that they could keep in touch.

The flare of heat came from Hermione every hour, on the hour, letting him know that she and Ginny’s body were still safe. If he felt as though the coin were suddenly weighing him down, that meant he would be granted thirty seconds before the coin became a Portkey, transporting him to the Burrow straight away, from there he could use the Floo Network to transport to wherever he needed to go. He deftly turned the coin clockwise once, in his pocket, without Lupin taking notice. One clockwise turn meant he was safe as well, and three counterclockwise turns would transport Hermione to the Burrow, although he hardly saw the need for this added precaution he had succumbed at Hermione’s insistence. Fred caught his attention from a distance and Harry put thoughts of his coin aside. When Harry was certain that Fred had a clear view of him in the moonlight, he motioned that he would be entering the front door and that Lupin and Fred should split the group to cover the various entrances and exits that Lupin had drawn for them back at Privet Drive.

Fred gave a tense nod and moved back to his original position, covering Lupin, just in case the old man really was up to no good like George suspected. Harry gave a final nod to Lupin and began nimbly making his way to the lighthouse’s secret entryway that the young Lupin had utilized in the Memoirs. He heard shuffling around him and was grateful for that; the others had sought to provide him with ample cover, no one would notice the dead leaves crushing under his feet when the wind was noisily rattling the trees around the lighthouse. The trek from his position to the old wall that was just beyond the front entrance proved uneventful. He walked straight through the collapsible looking wall and into the regal burgundy room just as he and Lupin had in the memoirs. Despite the years there was not a single fleck of dust or an object that had been moved from its place, the thought of little house elves slaving away to maintain the room flitted into his mind; he would have to consider that at a later time.

Never forgetting his mission, he moved from room to room gaining speed as he recalled the relics he had seen on his previous, Memoir, trip. Crossing the last room Harry repeated ‘thirteenth door from the right’ over and over under his breath, wanting to waste no time as young Lupin had done. He remembered, just in time, and returned to the center of the room that he was currently occupying, and chastised himself as the floor swallowed him up and the burglar destabilizer rent him asunder, he couldn’t forget to properly unlock the house or he would never get to the white room. Once he regained his bearings Harry noticed the twenty multi-colored doors that had stumped young Lupin. He moved to the door directly in front of him; that with a knob shaped like the head of a zebra, and counted thirteen to the right taking care to include the zebra knobbed door as number one.

Standing in front of the Victorian style door Harry retrieved the Bobby Pinners, a Fred and George invention that resembled a typical girl’s bobby pin, from his left sock and inserted them into the latch. As promised on their colorful packaging the Pins shifted to work and soon the door’s latch clicked open. Harry gratefully placed the Bobby Pinners back into his sock and pushed the door wide open. Once he was fully in the room he bit down on his lip and closed the door behind him. All at once the fire he had been dreading burst from forth and quickly bit away at the room. He threw himself to the floor and the flames did very little more than provide a cool tickling sensation. Without another person present to give the illusion of someone in agony the fire was not difficult to get through. The flames steadily made their way towards him and he closed his eyes for a spell to fortify his senses for the bright white that would soon be pressing upon his eyes.

He wondered for a moment if the person who had beaten him to the house was doing as well and getting though the puzzle as successfully. Opening his eyes slightly when he felt the ground rumble he noticed the purple flames that had furled around him, dragging him into the abyss of the ground, and panicked. The flames were not supposed to be purple! They were supposed to be green! What had he done wrong that caused the wrong colored flames? The possibility that the flames were different colored because he was lying on his stomach instead of his back hit him in the final few seconds before the ground had swallowed him whole and he went against Lupin’s advice, ‘never struggle against the house’, and managed to get onto his backside. The flames flickered from purple to green and Harry felt an instant of relief that was quickly replaced with horror when the flames grew white and black molten chain snaked their way around his body, rendering him completely immobile.

In his wide eyes a myriad of emotions collided, not the least of which was fear for Ginny. He cursed as the blackness enclosed on his vision and his body hit a brutal cement floor. Lupin had mentioned something about dungeons, but hadn’t known the key to break into them. What Lupin did know was that the dungeons were virtually impossible to escape. He, Harry, had been in the house no more than five minutes and already managed to get into more trouble than all the Marauders combined. What spark of genius had possessed him to enter the lighthouse on his own? He struggled against the bonds holding him and managed to do very little more than wriggle around like a fish out of water. There was not even a glimmer of light to aid him. All of the sudden Harry felt large, course hands grabbing the scruff of his robes and dragging his body along the cold, wet floor. He panicked, immobile as ever and locked in the accursed black chains of doom, this was not how he thought it would end.

In his worst nightmares, at least it was Voldemort who finished him off, not some putrid smelling troll in hidden dungeons of Sirius’ late uncle’s lighthouse. After dragging him a short distance the troll roughly shoved Harry under a cot. Amazingly, the troll left him there and quickly shuffled away. Was this troll particularly dumb? Did he not know that after you capture prey you tear it limb from limb? Harry didn’t know the answers to the questions filling his mind; he only knew that this would be a short reprieve and that he would need to make the most of it and get out of the bonds that held him. As he struggled, undoubtedly making his fair share of noise, he heard a deep, booming voice command him: “Quiet!”

Harry stilled at once; a troll that could speak? That was preposterous! Could it possibly be…? A bright light hit Harry’s eyes and he cringed, momentarily blinded. The light was coming from a fireplace that would have been impossible to see in the vast darkness. From it, he could make out the outline of the very large man who had dragged him under the cot. It was another moment before Harry heard footsteps announcing that they had a visitor.

“What did I tell you about trying to escape?” Regulus asked, from the fireplace in which he had just appeared.

Dean’s father remained silent as stone and just as unmoving. His penetrating gaze that sent a chill down Harry’s spine seemed to have little effect on Regulus.

“Ameen, you must learn to trust me, I know what’s best for you,” Regulus insisted as he extricated himself from the fireplace, wand firmly in hand.

“I will see you burn for the atrocity you have committed against my family,” Ameen said at last, when it appeared that Regulus was about to turn and thereby catch a glance of the cot that Harry was under.

“Must we do this again, Ameen?” Regulus asked in a cordial manner, returning his attention to the object of his annoyance. “I’ve had a long day.”

“And I, a long imprisonment,” Ameen answered. Whether he was being brave or stupid by mocking Regulus, Harry was unsure, but at least he had saved him from Regulus’ gaze, and for that Harry was grateful.

“Your other half is in quite a state,” Regulus informed Ameen conversationally, “I do believe she is beginning to lose her mind.”

“Leave Gaia alone,” Ameen commanded with an authority that Harry doubted he would ever be able to exert.

“I do believe she’s been using her powers again, even though I warned her not to.” Regulus continued as though he had not been interrupted. “One minute she’s Gaia, the next she’s Ginevra! She’s in a right state, that one! If you ask me she should join Voltara in the loony bin.”

“Stay away from…” Ameen began, but he did not complete his threat in time as Regulus simply swept his wand and tightly bound him in ropes.

“It’s not Gaia I’m worried about,” Regulus commented to the room at large. “Ginevra on the other hand…”

Regulus let his unspoken threat linger for a moment before turning to leave. Harry felt the sweat trickle down his brow. Could Regulus know that he was there, listening…somewhere? Is that why he had so casually tossed Ginny’s name out, to see if he would elicit a reaction from him? Before Harry could come to a decision regarding whether he should make his presence known Regulus entered the fireplace and was gone in an instant. Harry heard the sound of someone rising from the floor and footsteps heading his way soon followed. Panicking, Harry wondered if he had made a mistake.

The rough feel of cement hit his face and rubbed his cheeks raw as the man searched him. It took a moment of clever deduction before the man found the wand that he had been seeking stuffed into Harry’s right sleeve. Given that his search had been conducted entirely in the dark, Harry was quick to recognize the man’s intelligence.

Lumos,” the low voice washed over Harry along with a beam of bright light that filled the air around them.

For a moment there was silence. Harry could hardly break the silence as his mouth remained firmly bound, but the man simply starred at him. When enough time had gone by, so that Harry felt his body beginning to numb from the robes, the man released the binds from his mouth and loosen the rest which were cutting off the circulation of his blood.

“Who are you?” the man asked without preamble.

“Harry Potter,” Harry responded, hoping that telling the truth would help rather than hurt him.

The man waited. It occurred to Harry that the man doubted him.

“It’s true, the scar is on my forehead, you can see for yourself,” Harry offered, holding out hope that the man was a good guy that Lupin had described.

The man used Harry’s wand to shift the hair from his forehead and reveal the lightening scar. His face was impassable bearing no mark of astonishment or recognition, the reactions Harry had grown accustomed to.

“Who is your father?” the man asked.

Harry breathed a sigh of relief and answered, “James Potter.”

“And your mother?”

“Lily Pot…that is to say, Evans.”

“Lily and James? Unusual,” the man remarked.

“Why?” Harry asked, unable to help the curiosity he felt at the odd comment.

The man looked at him with the same unreadable expression.

“They will be worried about you; do they know where you are?”

Harry felt something clench up inside his throat, Dean’s father thought that his parents were alive. For a moment he pretended that they were, their worried faces and anxious expressions over the Harry’s predicament, the prophecy, Voldemort all washed over him. He felt a longing such as he never felt before. What would it have been like if one of them had survived?

“Well?” Dean’s father asked, clearly he was used to his questions being answered right away.

“They’re dead,” Harry said to both Ameen and himself.

A horrid feeling ripped through the pit of his stomach and seized his heart violently. Harry looked away from Ameen and took a second to compose himself. When he finally looked back it was to an Ameen who looked quite introspective.

“That is a shame,” Ameen said at last. “How did it happen?”

Harry swallowed his feelings down and bottled his emotions for later examination, right now he had to get out of the precarious situation he landed himself in and Ameen was the only one who could help him.

“Voldemort killed them.”

Ameen shock his head angrily. “He kills many people.”

Harry was unsure want to say, so he simply nodded.

“Why them?” Ameen asked.

For an instant Harry was taken aback. Everyone knew about the Order of the Phenoix. They were all familiar with the story of a prophecy that somehow linked Harry and Voldemort. Here was a man who knew nothing of the events that had transpired during Harry’s entire lifetime. To Ameen, he was nothing more than an average boy who had been playing in a lighthouse and accidentally fallen into a dungeon. It was like he was having a bizarre out of body experience. The name Harry Potter meant nothing to this man…not a thing. The man had not even cringed when Harry had spoken Voldemort’s name, but then again, Ameen had been imprisoned even before Harry was born, perhaps he was not part of the era that feared speaking the Voldemort’s name. Harry was unexpectedly seized with a flash of reckless abandon: Why not tell Ameen the real reason why Voldemort had killed his parents?

“He killed them to get to me. It has been prophesized that I will kill him or be killed by him.”

Ameen seemed to consider this revelation thoughtfully. “You ran away to save yourself and ended up here, it is a difficult life you lead, Harry.”

Harry lay, still bound, perplexed as ever.

“He did not come after me today,” Harry quickly explained, “he came after me when I was a baby fifteen years ago.”

“Strange,” Ameen commented, “you were not with your parents?”

“I was,” Harry rushed to explain, “he murdered them to get to me, but when he attempted to kill me the spell rebounded upon him.”

“So he is dead?” Ameen asked.

“No, he came very close to death, but survived as some sort of a spirit thing. Now he has been restored to a body and is after me once again.”

“I see, and that is why you have ended up here tonight.” Ameen nodded his understanding.

“No!” Harry quickly responded, wishing that Ameen had indeed heard all the rumors, gossip and conjecture that abounded in the wizarding community.

“Why then?”

“I am here to save Ginny!”

“Ginny?”

“Ginevra! The girl Regulus mentioned.”

Ameen pointed his wand to Harry’s throat. “What do you know of Regulus?”

Harry kicked himself for not explaining the matter very well. “His brother was my Godfather.”

“Was?” Ameen prodded.

Harry felt the tension eating him up again. “He died last year fighting against Voldemort.”

“Sirius is dead?” Ameen asked, his voice cracking for the first time.

Harry studied Ameen’s features and quickly noted that his eyes had glossed over. It had happened the moment he brought up mention of Regulus.

“If you want to know something, speak to me yourself,” Harry said loudly, hoping that his hunch was correct.

Ameen remained frozen, as though transfixed. Harry, however, clearly heard the sound of movement coming from a darkened corner of the room. Regulus strode up to them taking care to disarm Ameen and re-bind him in ropes.

“You are a filthy liar!” He hissed venomously at Harry.

“I’m not,” Harry responded with a calmness he didn’t feel, “it was your cousin Bellatrix who killed him and laughed as he fell through the veil in the department of mysteries.”

Regulus looked stunned. Even from his poor vantage point Harry could see that his words had struck a cord and were resonating with Regulus.

“Bella kill Sirius?” Regulus asked in shock.

”Because he fought for Dumbledore, because he was a member of the Order, because he protected me from Voldemort she murdered him!” Harry yelled, this time caring very little for the consequence of his action. “Your precious Bella is a murderer! Sirius is gone! I’m alone! I’m completely alone! Except for Ginny, you have Ginny and I will get her back from you no matter what!”

Regulus sank down to the ground a placed his head in the palms of his hands as Ameen started to flail around showing that he had come out of the hold that Regulus had placed on him.

“Sirius dead? Bella killed him? The Dark Lord fallen to an infant? What lies are these? I would be a fool to believe them…” Regulus said, though the look he gave Harry was imploring.

“You are a fool if you stand in my way, nothing will keep me from Ginevra.”

“STUPEFY!”

Regulus, looking very much like someone who had been knocked out, fell like an inanimate object to the floor, his lightweight body making very little noise. Meanwhile Ameen, clearly recognizing they had company, held perfectly still and waiting alongside Harry to see who the new intruder was. From the fireplace Harry could see a light coming closer and closer. In complete disbelief Harry made out the face of his rescuer, the last person he had ever expected to see.

“Alright, Harry?” Dean Thomas asked, while stealing glances at the father he had never known.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=22943