A Marauder's Tale: Rebel by SiriuslyPadfoot12
Summary: One-Shot written to "She's a Rebel" by Green Day



~*~




James' P.O.V.







My name is James Potter. Yeah, that's right. The James Potter. See, there's this girl I've been after since I was eleven. Her name is Lily Evans. She refuses to date me. I don't know why; I'm talented, good-looking, athletic, smart, and modest. But this is the year. She won't be able to resist me this year. Ready or not, Evans, here I come!







Verse 7 is here!
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: No Word count: 7578 Read: 14710 Published: 05/24/05 Updated: 06/25/06

1. Verses 1 and 2 by SiriuslyPadfoot12

2. Verses 3 and 4 by SiriuslyPadfoot12

3. Verse 5 by SiriuslyPadfoot12

4. Verse 6 by SiriuslyPadfoot12

5. Verse 7 by SiriuslyPadfoot12

Verses 1 and 2 by SiriuslyPadfoot12
Rebel
by Padfoot


Disclaimer: I do not own the characters in this story. They belong to the wondrous J.K. Rowling. The lyrics to "She's a Rebel" belong to Green Day. That should be enough. Enjoy!
------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------


She's a rebel.
She's a saint.
She's the salt of the earth,
And she's dangerous.
She's a rebel.
Vigilante.
Missing link on the brink of destruction.


There she was again.

Her beautiful, long red hair flounced over her shoulders and down her back as she walked. She lifted her small, freckled nose in the air as she sauntered by with grace in her every step. Anger and disgust burned in her jade eyes, causing them to sparkle like emeralds. Her thin-boned face with its arching cheekbones became completely emotionless.

I turned, running a hand through my hair, and opened my mouth to speak. She placed her beautifully manicured hand on my chest as she passed by. My mouth snapped shut. With a graceful flick of her wrist, she pushed me over.

I fell and landed on the hard, cold flagstones with a happy grin on my face.

Lily Evans.

The girl of my dreams.

“In your dreams, Potter,” she called back over her shoulder.

“You always are!” I chirped.

I leapt to my feet and ran to her side. Her jaw muscles worked when I slowed to trot next to her. “You know you want me, Evans.”

She sped up. Her lip curled in an elegant sneer and she narrowed her eyes. “Get away from me, Potter,” she growled in a low, sultry voice.

I ignored this and slid my arm around her shoulders. She instantly tensed. Her knuckles became white as her grip tightened on her schoolbooks. Her perfect brow furrowed in disdain.

“We’re destined, you and I,” I said, waving my hand in front of our faces in a grand gesture.

She shifted her books into the crook of her other arm. I nearly brought us both to the ground when she stopped abruptly. Without turning to face me, she jammed her elbow into my stomach.

I grunted and bent over double. My eyes watered. Blinking furiously, I watched her dainty feet disappear around the corner.

I absently cursed myself. She always got away! And she had, too, for the past seven years. This was the year, though. I could feel it in my bones.


From Chicago to Toronto,
She's the one that they call old what’s-her-name.
She's a symbol of resistance,
And she's holding on my heart like a hand grenade!



“That’s a nasty bruise you’ve got there, mate,” Sirius said, matter-of-fact, as I pulled off my school clothes. He had already changed into his casual clothes. Neither of us could stand the stiff school uniforms for very long.

“It was given to me with caring and love,” I snapped back.

Sirius’s eyebrows shot up. “Oh-ho! So it was Evans. I should have guessed.”

“Yes. It was Lily.”

He shook his head sadly. “Just give up, Prongs. Your never going to get her for as long as you live.” He sighed. “She’s the only girl in the whole school that doesn’t swoon when I walk into the room. Pity, that.”

I looked down at the rising bruise on my stomach. Cautiously, I ran my finger down it. My eyebrows came together in pain.

Sirius looked over at me and snorted. “What? Did she have horseshoes in her sleeve?”

“No,” I said, lip curling. “She’s just stronger than she looks.”

“Must be, to be able to bruise macho Quidditch man like that.”

He ducked when I threw my shoe at him, a knowing grin on his face. Laughing uproariously, he darted down the stairs out of the dormitory. I followed him, waving my wand threateningly at him.

Sirius ran around the common room, flailing his arms and legs ridiculously. Remus“who sat reading on the couch“ looked up from his book, rolled his eyes, and chose to ignore us. I vaulted over the couch with the intent to collide.

Sirius yelped when I took him in the legs, so that they went out from underneath him. He fell on top of me. I took him by the shoulders and flipped him on his back, sitting on his chest and pinning his arms with my knees.

I twirled my wand through my fingers. He struggled to get out from underneath me, but to no avail. “If she manages to bruise me, imagine what she could do to you,” I said contemplatively.

“Funny,” he managed.

“You know,” Remus said, without looking up, “I can tell you now that the Head Boy is definitely not supposed to do that.”

I grinned roguishly. “Dumbledore only made me Head Boy to make me stop in my Maraudering way of life.

“I guess it didn’t work,” Remus sighed, turning the page.

“Of course not,” I replied tartly.

“This is all very fun,” Sirius gasped, “But would you mind getting off my chest? For a scrawny little Quidditch player, you sure weigh a ton.”

I smirked. “No.”

“You two act like three-year-olds,” Remus said.

“You’re not better off,” I pointed out. “You’re the one who charmed Snivellus’s hair blue this morning.”

“True,” said Remus with a grin.

What is going on?” demanded an angelic voice from across the room.

My head snapped back. Lily stood at the portrait hole, a shocked and angry look on her face.

“You look so cute when you’re angry,” I called out to her.

Sirius bucked. I was caught off guard, too busy gawking at Lily’s beauty to notice much else, and he managed to throw me off. I landed on my back with a grunt.

“Mature,” she said, sarcasm dripping from every word. She stalked past me with her adorable little nose in the air. I scrambled to my feet. Her robes snapped around the corner of the girls’ dormitory door as I stepped up on the stairs and attempted to follow her.

The stone under my foot shifted. I yelled and fell forward, landing on all fours. My fingers scrabbled for a handhold, but I found none and slid down the stone slide. I collapsed in a heap at the bottom.

“Serves you right,” Remus said, trying and failing to suppress his laughter.

“Oh, woe is me,” I intoned, clutching my chest with both hands. “She has my heart in a death grip!”

“And she has an elbow made of stone,” interjected Sirius with a cackle.

I glared at him. He caught the look in my eye and, laughing, pirouetted out of the portrait hole. “You’re dead, Sirius!” I yelled, and immediately took up the chase.



A/N: Alrighty, then! A la Verse One! Er... and Two! Verse Three is coming very soon. Stay tuned! ~*~Mischief Managed~*~
Verses 3 and 4 by SiriuslyPadfoot12
Is she dreaming what I'm thinking?
Is she the mother of all bombs, gonna detonate?
Is she trouble like I'm trouble?
Make it a double twist of fate
Or a melody that...


“Earth to Prongs. Earth to Prongs. Do you copy? I repeat, do you copy?”

I groaned and touched my forehead. My whole head throbbed. I felt as if my brain had swelled to twice its normal size. Even with the steady ringing in my ears, I could still recognize that voice.

“Sirius, what are you on about?” I croaked.

“I dunno,” Sirius said, throwing himself down on the couch beside me. I groaned when he caused the cushion to bounce. “Remus said it to me once.”

“What happened to me?” I demanded, sitting up and immediately wishing I hadn’t.

“You ran headlong into Bertram Aubrey. He cursed you with the same hex we used on him last year, the no-brained little“”

“So what did he do to me?” I interjected.

“Oh, he said a spell to make your head twice its size and it knocked you out.”

What?” I demanded, sitting bolt upright. I felt my head with my hands.

“Don’t worry, mate. I brought you to Moony and he set you right. He laughed the whole time. Said it was fitting.”

“Ha, ha, ha,” I muttered. I swung my legs off the couch and leaned forward, rubbing my head with my hands. “It feels like a hippogriff sat on my head.”

“You head looked like a balloon after Snape was done with it.”

“Shut up, Sirius,” I growled.

“You should have seen it! It“”

“I said shut up!” I yelled.

His mouth snapped shut and he grinned evilly. I rolled my eyes at him and sighed. “What do girls see in you?”

Looking highly affronted, he replied, “They see nothing in me. They just like to see me. You know. Like my pretty face.”

I opened my mouth to retort, changed my mind when a certain person entered the room, and closed it.

“Evans!” I cried, leaping to my feet. I staggered drunkenly across the common room toward her. “Evans! You came to see me! I knew you cared!”

She narrowed her eyes. “I didn’t come to see you,” she said, exasperated. “I came because I would like to go to bed.”

“With me? Well, that was a little fast, I must say, but I’ll gladly accept“”

Stars exploded in my eyes. I reeled backward with a cry. Pain seared in my cheek. The solid crack of her hand against my face seemed to echo through the common room. I landed on the floor and glanced up at her, hurt.

“That wasn’t necessary,” I mumbled.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Remus, Sirius, and Peter sniggering behind their hands. I would get them later. Possibly in their sleep.

Lily flounced up the steps to the girls’ dormitory. I watched her go. Already a plan was manifesting in the back of my mind. An insane grin split across my face. She didn’t know what was coming to her, and when it happened she wouldn’t know what hit her.

She sings the revolution,
The dawning of our lives.
She brings this liberation that I just can't define.
Well, nothing comes to mind!


My alarm shrieked in my head. I groaned softly and hit it with my fist. It croaked one last time and faded to silence.

I sat up and rubbed my eyes, glaring at the clock. Remus had given it to me as a joke three years ago and I had never used it. It was a “silent” alarm, which rang only for its owner. It must have worked really well for married couples.

It was six o’clock in the morning. Long ago, I had sworn never to see this ungodly hour, but for Lily I would do anything. She usually went to the Great Hall at this time in order to avoid me.

I pulled on my robes as I sprinted down the stairs. My bare feet pounded heavily against the floor. Lily“who had already cleared have the common room“glanced up at the sound. Our eyes locked for a long moment.

She paled. “Oh no,” she muttered to herself, and began to run across the common room.

“Wait!” I yelped. I tripped over the hem of my robes and stumbled across the room. My staggering path put me directly into Lily’s way. We collided and we both went down.

“Er... hello, Evans,” I grunted. I was positioned so that I was half sprawled on top of her. I grinned down apologetically.

With a growl, she threw me off her. I landed on my back with a grunt. She scrambled to her feet and shoved the portrait hole open.

“Evans, wait!” I yelled, darting after her.

She ignored me and strode down the corridor, nose held high. I scampered to her side and asked in a wheedling voice, “Will you go out with me, Evans?”

She arched a perfect brow. “How many times have you asked me this?” she asked without breaking stride.

“Er...” I held my fingers out and pretended to count on them. “A lot?”

“And what have I told you every time you asked?”

“Er... no?”

“That would be correct.”

“The thing is, Evans, I know why you wouldn’t go out with me before.”

“Oh?” she stopped and looked at me. Something of a smirk played across her lips. “And why is that?”

“It’s because you’re scared.”

That struck a chord. Her face reddened in anger. She swelled with indignity. “I am not afraid to go out with you, James Potter.”

“Then that would be... what? A yes?”

“No“I never said“”

“Oh, I see,” I said, grinning brilliantly. “You’re still afraid. Well, when you get over it, do tell me...”

She sputtered. “No... I’m not afraid... I mean...” She trailed off.

“Then why won’t you go out with me?” I asked, innocently enough.

“Because you’re a pompous, big-headed swine who thinks he’s all that because he can fly a broom in a straight line.”

I winced. “Now that’s going a little overboard.”

She smiled, thinking she had won.

“Evans?”

“What?”

“I dare you to go out with me this Friday.”

This was followed by a long silence. I could almost see the gears in her mind working. She opened her mouth and closed it, as if she had thought better of it. “No,” she said after a long while.

I shrugged nonchalantly. “I knew you would be too afraid to do it.”

She flared her nostrils and narrowed her eyes at me. Her throat worked. I watched a blush mantle in her cheeks with growing satisfaction.

“Fine,” she uttered finally.

My heart soared. I grinned at her in wild delight. “Friday... that’s tomorrow. I’ll see you at eight on the Quidditch pitch?”

“Fine,” she repeated numbly. She sounded as if she didn’t quite believe what she had done.

“It’s a date.”

I jerked when I heard a very familiar scream rise in the Gryffindor tower behind me. This was joined at once by two others. I took Lily’s hand and kissed the back of it suavely.

“And now I must take my leave, dearest,” I said, and took off laughing down the corridor.

A/N: Okay! Hope you enjoyed verses 3 and 4, perhaps even more than 1 and 2. 5 and 6 are on the way! ~*~Mischief Managed~*~
Verse 5 by SiriuslyPadfoot12
She sings the revolution,
The dawning of our lives.
She brings this liberation that I just can't define.
Well, nothing comes to mind!


“That was a little harsh, Prongsie,” Sirius muttered as he sat down beside me.

“Come off it, Padfoot,” I said with a roll of my eyes. “I turned your hair florescent orange. It wasn’t a big deal.”

“With blue stripes,” he said reproachfully. “You wound me.”

Peter slouched in his seat. He piled bacon on his plate until it was roughly the size of a small mountain and glared at it dejectedly. He was waiting for me to apologize.

Right. Like that was going to happen.

“What’s wrong with you today, my darling little ray of sunshine?” I asked cheerily through a mouthful of eggs. It sprayed across the table. Remus drew back in disgust.

“Bugs,” he muttered, shuddering. “A load of them. In my bed. Squirming, and crawling, all over me...”

“What bad luck,” I replied lightly, a smug grin firmly in place.

If looks could kill, I would have gone to the Hospital Wing in a matchbox.

Remus waved his fork at me. “You should be glad I know the spell to fix my books. It would have been murder if I hadn’t.”

My eyebrows shot up. “First of all“you, murder me? I think not. And I knew you knew that spell. Otherwise I wouldn’t have torn all the pages out of your books and stuffed them under your comforter. I’m only that evil when I’m pranking Snivellus.”

“Speaking of Snivellus...” Sirius cast a sidelong glance at the Slytherin table.

I grinned at him. “Anything in mind?” I asked.

Remus looked up at us over the top of his book. A bit of a smile played on his mouth. “Being Head Boy, you should know that’s not allowed.”

My eyebrows went up.

His grin got wider. He shut the book lightly and scrupulously placed his utensils on his napkin. “Am I stopping you?” he asked, flashing his longer-than-normal eyeteeth at me.

“I was thinking some Veritaserum in the goblet,” Sirius replied.

“Veritaserum?” I repeated, gaping.. “Where’d you get you that?”

“Nicked it. Professor Contula just adores me,” he drawled. “She just got out of Hogwarts last year. She turns a blind eye on me. You know she does.”

I grinned. I remembered Professor Contula from the year before“except, then she called herself Penny. Penelope Contula had been a Ravenclaw student at the top of her year. She was brilliant in Potions. Sirius had told me she was also a brilliant kisser.

“I always thought professors had to go to some sort of school before they could teach,” piped Peter from across the table.

“Since when did good old Dumbledore follow the rules?” I shot back.

Peter bit his lip to hide a grin.

“Don’t look now, Prongs, but Evans is headed towards the table,” Sirius muttered, busying himself with his bacon.

I leapt to my feet and whirled around, a large grin on my face. She scowled fiercely at me. It deepened when I threw my arms open wide and said, “My darling!”

She stopped in front of me and hissed, “Don’t call me that. I don’t want everyone to know about it.”

Remus’ books was suddenly up again, but he wasn’t reading. His eyes focused on the page but I didn’t see them move. He firmly held his goblet in one hand. Sirius didn’t even feign not paying attention; he leaned forward, chin propped on his hands, and listened intently. Peter tried, and failed miserably.

She glared at the lot of them. “You haven’t told them yet?” she demanded.

“Not yet,” I said with a cheery smile. “But I was going to.”

“Tell us what?” Sirius asked, perking up. Remus rolled his eyes and chugged his pumpkin juice.

I took Lily’s hand with a flourish. “We’re engaged!”

Pumpkin juice sprayed across the table. Remus sputtered. He bent over double, coughing and laughing at the same time. Sirius thumped him on the back a couple of times. Peter moaned and looked down at his wet robes.

“Like that’ll ever happen,” Sirius muttered softly, but loud enough for me to hear.

Lily yanked her hand back. “It’s one date, not marriage,” she sniffed.

“You never know,” I said testily.

“Not in a million years,” she said firmly. She cast me a glare that could’ve melted stone. However, over the years, I had grown impervious to this. I grinned suavely at her.

“Tomorrow night. Eight o’clock. Be there,” I told her.

She nodded curtly and flounced away. I stared off after her, beaming. “Isn’t she beautiful when she’s angry?”

“To each his own,” Sirius shot back with a smug grin.

I glared at him.

“At least he doesn’t chase down every good-looking girl in the school,” Remus said. He didn’t bother to look up from his book.

“That’s because Prongs, here, knows he can get every good-looking girl in the school,” Sirius replied loftily. “He’s got a ‘wants-what-he-can’t-have’ complex.”

“I do not,” I said indignantly.

“Actually...” Peter said, biting back a grin.

“You hate me. You all do.”

“So you’re going to try and date us next?” Sirius asked. “Because I’m sorry, James, but you just aren’t handsome enough.”

Peter giggled.

I threw a roll at him. He ducked it and laughed. “Sensitive Prongs,” he chuckled, returning to his food once more.

Remus shut his book with a snap. “I’m going to run to the library before class,” he said, glancing at his watch. “There’s something I wanted to look at.”

Sirius winced. “And you claim to be the sane one.”

Remus opened his mouth. The bell cut off what he was about to say. He sighed. “Guess I’m not going, then,” he said. “Happy now, Padfoot?”

“Extremely.”

I nearly skipped to class. The girl of my dreams was going on a date with me, after six years of rejection. I mentally patted myself on the back.

“Good work, James,” I muttered to myself. “Good work.”

A/N: Verse 5 was a LOT longer than I thought it was going to be. So. Er. I sent it in, because you all must be anxious to find out what happens next. Forgive me for being so long; I had finals. Surely you can find space in your hearts?

And on a tangent, I found the perfect picture of Lily and James, as portrayed in my story. I can't say it belongs to me; it belongs to Tina Lynn. You can find her work at http://tinaling.ca/mwppmap/. However, the picture can be found at this link: http://tinaling.ca/mwppmap/art1/angryatjames.html

Stick around for Verse 6, and maybe Verse 7, which will both be about "THE DATE"!
Verse 6 by SiriuslyPadfoot12
She's a rebel.
She's a saint.
She's the salt of the earth,
And she's dangerous.
She's a rebel.
Vigilante.
Missing link on the brink of destruction.


I paced the Quidditch pitch nervously, pulling back my watch and checking my watch. She was five minutes late. I closed my eyes, exhaling noisily. She was skilled in the art of torture.

The school grounds were deserted. I had done a quick walk of the perimeters beforehand. It was surprisingly empty for a Friday night. I smiled to myself, fiddling with the sleeve of my red dress robes. Padfoot must have had a hand in this.

The doors to the pitch burst open suddenly. I stopped myself from jumping and turned slightly, a smile firmly in place. The smile slid off my face when I saw Lily, smugness making way for shock. My jaw nearly hit the floor.

She had dressed herself superbly. Her voluminous red hair was pulled back into a tight knot at the back of her head. Emerald earrings glittered in her ears; a matching necklace bounced on her chest as she walked. She was wearing jade dress robes, with sleeves that fell past her waist.

The look on her face clearly told me she wanted to be anywhere but here. Her nose was high in the air, and her jaw was set resolutely. She may not have been thrilled to be on this date, but she had set out to impress me.

It was working.

“You can close your mouth now,” she snapped as she approached.

I closed my mouth immediately and ran a hand through my hair, trying to pat it down into place. I wanted to speak, to say something suave, but my throat was refusing to cooperate.

“Beautiful,” I croaked finally.

She cast me a look of utmost disdain. I smiled happily. Even her look of disdain was dazzling.

I moved forward, toward a small round table I had set up earlier. I had found a white tablecloth in the kitchens earlier, and it fit the table perfectly. A white candle burned in the middle of the table between two silver plates, which I had“again“borrowed from the kitchens.

I pulled out a chair for her to sit. She immediately crossed to the other chair and sat down. I stared down at my empty seat rather sadly and sat down in it.

“Let’s get this over with,” she said, voice dripping with venom.

“All in good time, my dear,” I said. “Are you hungry?”

“No.”

“Oh. Well. How was your afternoon?”

“Dreadful.”

“Oh? Why is that?”

“Because all I had to look forward to is this date.”

I winced. So far, not so good. And it hadn’t even been five minutes.

“I’ve known you for about seven years and I, unfortunately, don’t know you all that well. Tell me a bit more about yourself,” I said, hoping for more than a one-word answer. I liked to talk about myself. Maybe she would like to talk about herself.

She cast me a rather bored look. “My favorite color is green. I like roses. I listen to mostly muggle music, so I don’t think you’d know any of the bands I’d mention. Tigers are my favorite animals. I support the Holyhead Harpies as my Quidditch team.”

She trailed off. I watched with some resentment as she picked up her fork and studied it. She could at least make this somewhat easy for me!

But she had also moved onto the subject of Quidditch. With Quidditch, I knew where I stood.

“The Holyhead Harpies? Aren’t they the ones that had that week long match in 1953? And don’t they hire only women? I think I read about them in Quidditch Through the Ages.”

She looked rather surprised when I said this. “Yeah. Nobody seems to know who they are when I mention them, even big Quidditch fans. They haven’t been to a World Cup since that 1953 match.”

“Oh, I’ve heard of them,” I said, nodding. I was filled with relief. I was finally gaining some ground! “My dad was at that match with my mum that whole week. He talks about it all the time. He said it was one hell of a match, the best he’d ever seen.”

She actually smiled then. My heart thudded painfully somewhere in my throat.

“Are you a fan of them, then?” she asked.

“No, not really,” I said. “I’m a fan of the Prides, myself.”

“The Prides?”

“The Pride of Portree,” I explained. “They had two league wins in the 1960s, around the time we were born. The Captain’s son is the lead guitarist for that new band, the Weird Sisters.”

“Oh,” she said. Her face went oddly blank for a moment, as if she had realized she was actually having a good time. “Oh. Well. It’s quite fitting, really, that you should be a fan of a team called the ‘Prides’.”

I gave an internal groan. What was it with this woman?

“Well, I have had my head deflated a bit,” I attempted cheerfully.

She stared at me.

“Bertram Aubrey hexed me the other day, so that my head swelled. Remus deflated it, though. Obviously.”

“How fitting,” she said snidely.

“Funny. That’s what Remus said too.”

“He’s got the right idea.”

“He usually does.”

We were both silent for a long time. Lily played with her fork some more. I pulled on the cuff of my dress robes nervously.

“Y’know, this date went much differently in my head,” I said conversationally.

She arched an eyebrow at me. “Did it?”

“Yes. In my head, we usually have a great time. And, usually, you’re very happy.”

“I hate to tell you dreams can be broken,” she said with complete seriousness.

“And I hate knowing it,” I replied solemnly.

We stared at each other for a moment.

I finally cleared my throat. “Are you hungry yet, Evans?”

She glared at me. “Usually, when one is on a date, she doesn’t expect to be called by her last name.”

“Er...”

This had, truthfully, never occurred to me. I had never before in my whole Hogwarts career called Lily... well... Lily. She’d always been “Evans” to me.

“Are you hungry Ev“er... er... Lily?” I asked, on the verge of stuttering. I cursed myself. Stuttering! In front of Lily!

“I could do with some food, yes,” she said with a steely note in her voice.

I sighed and pulled my wand out of my pocket. With an extravagant flourish, I tapped Lily’s plate with my wand. Food bloomed into being on the plate, just like it did in the Great Hall. I’d been practicing this spell since yesterday afternoon; I was pleased when a magnificent ham dinner appeared instead of moldy old cheese.

Lily stared at the plate for a moment. “I hate ham,” she said, matter-of-fact.

Godric! There was no pleasing her!

“Okay,” I said, switching our plates. “What would you like, then?”

“A salad would be fine.”

“Sure. Er.... Lily.”

She made a strange noise in her throat, somewhere between a sigh and a growl.

I waved my wand again, praying for the spell to come out right. It did, at least to some degree. The lettuce was a little wilted, but other than that looked completely edible. I poked it with my wand. The lettuce gave a feeble wobble and turned a bit greener.

Lily speared the lettuce with her fork and lifted it to her nose, sniffing it gingerly. She glanced at me suspiciously, and looked back down at the salad.

“My dear, I didn’t poison it,” I said. “Poisoning you would be like poisoning a beautiful red bird.”

“So you do poetry as well as food now?” she asked snidely.

I raised an eyebrow. She scowled at me and stuck the fork in her mouth. Her eyebrows lifted in some surprise as she chewed slowly.

“Not bad,” she admitted grudgingly.

I smiled. “I practiced all day,” I said proudly. “Of course, it took me only a few tries to do it. I’m top of the year in Transfiguration, you know.”

Her face drained of emotion when I said this.

I immediately realized my mistake. “Was I being pompous again?” I asked with a grimace.

She nodded and waved a hand at my plate, as if inviting me to eat. “Hurry up and eat. I want this over as soon as possible.”

I felt like beating my head against a wall repeatedly. If there was only one thing she loathed about me, it was my pride. The damage was probably almost irreversible this time.

And I knew what that meant.

It was time for Plan B.






A/N: Oh, dear. That took me a rather long time. Sorry about that! It's really long, though. Verse 7 will come quickly, I promise you that. I have most of Verse 8 and all of the epilogue done.

And now I must ask of you a favor. I have a couple ideas in mind for fan fics, and I want to hear what you would all perfer. They are:

"Wake Me Up (End This Nightmare)" -- first in a four part installment. James Potter's thoughts just before he's killed, written to "Wake Me Up When September Ends" by Green Day.

"A Marauder's Tale: Midnight Ride" -- Sirius gets his motorbike. Need I say more? The Marauder's Tales are going to be a bunch of fluffy one-shots.

"The Animagi Project" -- A chapter story detailing Fifth Year, the year the Marauders recieve their Animagus powers. It'd probably get to be about 100 or 150 pages, if you're lucky.

So, in your reviews, I'd appreciate it if you chose the one you perferred.

~*~Mischief Managed~*~
Verse 7 by SiriuslyPadfoot12
Author's Notes:
Oh, dear! It's been quite a long time. About a year, I'd say. I feel terrible! Junior year is a trying one, I guess. I just never had the time to write, I was never inspired, blah, blah, blah. Same old. I beg you all to forgive me; this verse is super long. I'm going to right "Wake Me Up (End This Nightmare)" as my next story. The next verse and epilogue of this story are so close to being finished it isn't funny. You can expect it very, very soon. Forgive me!
She's a rebel.
She's a saint.
She's the salt of the earth,
And she's dangerous.
She's a rebel.
Vigilante.
Missing link on the brink of destruction.


Plan B, I had decided, was to be avoided at all costs. I had thought of it while the others were asleep. They would kill me if they knew what I was about to do.

But desperate times called for desperate measures.

We finished our meal in silence. I chewed absentmindedly on my dinner, running Plan B through my mind over and over again. It was risky. Very risky. I could lose a lot with it.

But then, I could gain so much.

And what was a life as a Marauder without the risks?

I stood quickly when she finished her dinner, even though I had barely touched my own. Sweat rolled down the side of my face. Pulling on the neck of my robes, I tried to look nonchalant.

It wasn’t working.

“Aren’t you going to finish that?” Lily asked, a steely glint in her eye.


“No, no,” I said. “I can’t stand to see you waiting. Besides, I’ve got something to show you. You’re going to love it.”

“That’s what you said about this date,” she shot back.

I winced. Blow, after blow, after blow! There was no pleasing this woman!

She took an agonizingly long time to arrange her utensils. Slowly, she eased herself out of her chair and smoothed her robes. Not that there were any wrinkles there. Oh, no. Of course not.

I closed my eyes and exhaled loudly, wishing she’d hurry up before I changed my mind.

“Well?” she asked after a while, putting her hands on her hips.

“This way,” I said with a grand gesture toward the Forbidden Forest.

Her eyes widened, if only slightly. “In the forest?” she asked. I noted with some pride that there seemed to be a little bit of incredulity on her voice.

“Yeah. Why?” I asked, succeeding to be nonchalant this time.

“That’s against the rules,” she said.

Oh, right, I thought. Head Girl. Out loud, I replied, “Since when have I obeyed the rules?”

“Fine,” she said with a sigh.

I walked toward the forest. She followed a few paces behind me. I could almost feel her tense as we walked past Hagrid’s hut. Glancing over my shoulder, I could see that her face was lined with worry.

“You don’t have to be afraid,” I said, gently.

“I’m not,” she snapped.

“Okay, okay,” I relented.

I continued on. The deeper into the forest we went, the more concerned she grew. She eventually took a deep breath and asked, “Do you even know where we’re going?”

I blinked in surprise, which I quickly quelled. Not everyone was privy to our midnight adventures. “Yeah,” I said with a smile, “I know the forest like the back of my own hand.”

“So not very well, then,” she muttered under her breath, barely audible.

I chose to ignore that.

I stopped when we finally reached our destination. Without pausing to think what I was doing, I found Lily’s hand and pulled her into the clearing. Her hands were surprisingly warm for a woman so cold.

She hesitated before pulling her hand back. “This is it?” she asked.

“Sort of,” I said. I lead her to the middle of the clearing, where the moonlight shone clearest. She looked simply dazzling, illuminated by a pale glow. Her eyes “ crystalline in this light “ swept the clearing.

“What now?” she demanded eventually.

“Well, this is the part where I leave you alone,” I began.

Her eyes nearly popped out of her head “ with rage or fright, I didn’t know. I paused, just to reassure myself that she wouldn’t explode.

What?” she asked, voice dangerously quiet.

Rage it is, then.

“I have to leave you alone, or it won’t come,” I said.

“Or what won’t come?”

“That would ruin the surprise, my dear. You’re going to love this. I promise.”

“How long will it take?”

“Not long,” I said, slipping away. Then, more quietly and to myself, “I hope.”

“James!” she yelled as I disappeared between the trees. I bit my lip and hesitated, but only for a moment. She’d survive without me for a couple minutes.

I made a big show of stomping away, rustling branches and stepping on twigs. When I was sure that I was far enough away, I let up on the noise. There was no need to draw attention to myself.

I stopped when I got to a stream. Yeah, that would help, especially in this light.

I closed my eyes and concentrated, a smile on my face. My transformation always came easily. I heard the customary “pop” as my entire body writhed for that fraction of a second. It was a very eerie feeling; my skin became hot and irritated and I could feel muscle and bone slide past one another. Not that it hurt, or ever had, except for that first time.

I shook my head to clear my disorientation. The first few seconds after an Animagus transformation were very confusing; you had to adjust to the change in senses. I blinked a couple of times. My sense of smell had improved. I could see a lot better than I had before. That was a blessing.

I took a deep breath. If a stag could smile, I would have. I felt powerful in this form.

Quickly now, I waded into the stream and thanked Godric that my fur protected me from the cold. I leapt out and shook myself to rid my fur of excess water. Snorting, I turned and headed back toward the clearing.

The others were going to kill me.

I caught a glimpse of Lily through the trees. She looked anxious now. She clutched her wand in a bloodless fist, eyes darting around at the wall of trees. I felt a pang of guilt. I shouldn’t have left her alone in the forest.

That pang quickly left, replaced by an icy feeling of fear. It wasn’t something I felt often. The last time I been afraid of or for anything was when Remus got away from us in Hogsmeade. It made me feel stupid, fearing something like this.

Taking a deep breath, I put one dainty little hoof into the clearing.

Lily whirled around, wand at the ready. Red sparks flew from the tip. I rebelled against every stag-like instinct in my body to keep from bolting. My nostrils flared.

We locked eyes across the clearing. Her wand slipped from her fingers and fell to the grass. She sucked her breath in through her teeth, eyes huge with wonderment.

I stepped further into the clearing. The moonlight caught the water droplets on my fur and lit them up like tiny stars, giving me an almost unearthly glow. I thanked Godric that I wasn’t human; Lily would have slapped my cocky grin right off my face.

Lily seemed to be glowing herself. A smile tugged at the corners of her mouth as I stepped tentatively toward her. Her breath was short and anxious.

Slowly, she extended her hand toward me. I bent my head so that it was level with her hand. She rested her shaking fingers on my nose and gently felt up my face. As she ran her hands down my neck, I nuzzled her shoulder.

“Wow,” she breathed. She laughed softly, breathily. I could feel it.

I snorted into her hair as she ran her hands along my flank. “This is just like a fairy tale,” she whispered.

I snorted again, only this time it sounded vaguely like a laugh.

She turned to look at me again, still smiling, and stared into my eyes. I resisted the urge to become human again and snog her.

She gently caressed my face. “Eyes... those eyes... they look so familiar...”

I froze, almost unable to breathe. She couldn’t possibly recognize me...

Somewhere in the forest, near the clearing, a twig snapped. My head swivelled around. Whatever was in there was “ thankfully “ upwind and I caught a noseful of its scent. I recognized it immediately.

Of course!

It was also the excuse I needed. I carefully leapt away from her and fled into the woods. I raced back to the stream, where I shook off the rest of the water and changed back. I checked myself out. Most of the water was gone, but I was still a little damp. Oh, well. No matter. I was dry again with a flick of my wand.

I ran back to the clearing, again making sure to cause a ruckus the whole way back. Lily still stood awestruck in the middle of the clearing when I came back. She turned to face me, a shadow of a smile on her face.

“Did he come?” I asked, voice quiet, as I picked my way across the clearing.

“Yes,” she said breathlessly. “That was... amazing.”

I smiled “ and, I realized with surprise, I didn’t have to put any effort into making sure it wasn’t a cocky one. “I knew you’d like it,” I said softly.

I was so close to her now that she had to tip her head back slightly to see me. She cocked her head to the side. “Have you ever shown anyone else?” she asked.

I shook my head. “I didn’t dare. I wanted it to be something special. For you.”

“Really?” She was staring at me, into my eyes.

I nodded without breaking her gaze.

“No one has ever done something like this for me before. None of my boyfriends. My other boyfriends treated me as a sort of trophy, as a pet... You’re almost kind of...” She trailed off, eyes widening. She looked away from me, biting her lip.

“I’m almost kind of...?” I repeated.

“I didn’t mean to tell you that,” she said quickly. “I mean, well, I did... but...” she floundered. With a deep breath, she looked into my eyes again. “It was very sweet of you to do this for me.”

“It was?” I asked, shocked. I winced, then said in a much firmer way, “It was.”

She put her hand on my arm. A thrill ran up and down my spine, causing the fine hair on the back of my neck to prickle. “Thank you,” she said. I could tell by the resolution in her voice that she really, sincerely meant it.

She looked away again, this time down, so that I could see her long lashes. She began to move away from me, but I caught her hand and held her in place. Her eyes met mine again. She stopped and didn’t try to pull away.

“Lily,” I began, because I didn’t know how else to start. I took a deep breath. “I might be a jerk sometimes. I might be a show-off, a bigot. But I was that way because I wanted to impress you. I didn’t know how else to do it. You made me feel... different. Strange. Small. Weak. I didn’t know how to deal with it. You amazed me. You’re smart. You’re beautiful. You’re brave... and I didn’t want to lose you forever. I’ve wanted you to understand that ever since I laid eyes on you, but I... I...”

I closed my eyes. My throat worked furiously, but no sound came out. If there was one way to win her “ finally win her “ this was the way to do it.

“I never told you because I was afraid.”

Her face went slack with surprise for a moment. She held her breath. Her eyelids fluttered as she looked everywhere but at my face. Finally, her eyes flicked up to meet mine again. “Did you just admit to being afraid?” she asked, incredulous.

I attempted a smile. “Yeah.”

She slipped her hand into mine. I squeezed gently. She chuckled softly, almost inaudibly. “I never thought I’d hear you say something like that.”

“Think again, Lily,” I said. I leaned in toward her. When I stopped, our faces were only inches apart.

“Maybe I was too hard on you,” she breathed.

“Maybe I was just an idiot,” I whispered back.

She smiled.

I closed my eyes and leaned in. Our lips met. Her arms lifted and pressed against my neck, drawing me in closer. I wrapped my arms around her waist, pulling her tighter to me. A strange feeling filled my chest. Our lips moved together, almost in a sort of groove, and I lost myself in the wonderful sensation.

It seemed like an eternity had passed before she pulled away. She leaned her head against my chest. I hugged her, leaning my head against the top of hers, and we stood swaying for a long time.

“First kiss, huh?” she mumbled to my chest.

I winced. “Could you tell?”

She chuckled. I could feel it reverberate through her body. “Not really.”

“Good,” I whispered to her hair. “I’ve already humbled myself too much than is good for my health today.”

Instead of insulting me, she laughed again.

I closed my eyes and smiled. This was how I had dreamed it.

This was perfect.