I Always Wondered If You Would by Miss
Summary: The last few years have been pretty much the same for Hermione. It's all work, friends and work for her. Things are about to change though. Ginny has a simple plan to bring a bit more happiness to Hermione's life. But will she ever get the two together with them biting each others head off? AU since HBP. Finished.
Categories: Hermione/Snape Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: Yes Word count: 15615 Read: 46240 Published: 05/28/05 Updated: 11/17/05

1. Bickering And Thinking by Miss

2. A Simple Plan by Miss

3. An Interesting Cup of Tea by Miss

4. Explaining a Little by Miss

5. Buying Dresses by Miss

6. Changes by Miss

7. The Wedding by Miss

8. Something Else by Miss

9. Being Civil by Miss

10. I Always Wondered if You Would by Miss

Bickering And Thinking by Miss
Disclaimer: I own nothing. JKR has the magical touch>


Chapter 1. Bickering And Thinking




“You are…”

“No, I’m not”

“Yes you are”

“Oh Ginny just drop it, okay? I’m tired and I don’t want to think about my love life,” Hermione snorted. “I’m not saying anything about having a love life, so how can I be in love like you seem to think I am?” Hermione sighed, all she wanted to do was to take a long steaming hot bath and soak until all her skin was wrinkled up. It didn’t matter how much she loved her best friend and roommate, well soon to be ex roommate, she wanted to be alone and think. As she walked into the bathroom, she thought that was best. Yes, she just wanted today to be like any other day of the year of her life.

Every day for the past couple of years had been pretty much the same for Hermione Granger; getting up early in the morning, taking a quick shower, and having some breakfast before going to work. It used to be studying at the university, but now it was working for the Ministry of Magic. She would work all day long, and no matter whether it was paperwork or stirring in a cauldron that needed to be done, her job in the Experimental Potions Department left her exhausted. But she loved her job and she wasn’t nearly as exhausted as she had been during her third year at Hogwarts. Nope, no time-turner to drive her crazy! Her work and her roommate alone would do that.

As she stepped in the bath she could already feel some of the strain leave her body. After adding some lavender oil and making the water foam, she finally laid back and let the soothing effect come over her as her mind wandered back to earlier that day. “Maybe today hadn’t been totally like all the other days.” she thought.

She wondered why Ginny was bothering her so much with this so-called crush/love thing or whatever it was she was supposed to have. It wasn’t like her. Slightly rearranging herself to be a little more comfortable, she smiled to herself. Well actually, no, she didn’t wonder, she knew and it was very much like the Weasley girl to care. Ginny was happy and wanted Hermione to feel the same. She wanted her to be just as happy, just as much in love and just as much about to get married. Hermione grinned as she recalled that afternoon. Ginny had finally told her during lunch in a muggle café near where they shared their apartment.



“So what is it that couldn’t possibly wait until this evening when I will be seeing you at home?” Hermione smiled as she looked at her friend questioningly.

Ginny was positively glowing when she finally admitted, “He asked me.”

Hermione grinned, “Well Gin, it was about time too! How did he ask you? What did he do?” Hermione was very curious as to what exactly happened. She knew her best friend Harry wasn’t the most original guy around, but at least he was more romantic than Ron who had simply told his girlfriend, Padma, that they were going to get married.

Ginny paused while the waiter set down their lunch before she told Hermione all about it. “Oh it was nothing special,” she stated airily “He just took me to dinner at La Garr, that new French place, and was the sweetest guy all night long.”

“Wow, good choice.”

“Then he took me to this little park, and there, after walking for a few moments, he went down on his knee and asked me to be his wife. He gave me this ring,” Ginny sighed and was shining even more than the beautiful ring she was now showing Hermione.

Again, “Wow,” was the only thing Hermione could say, and she thought for a moment about how right it felt that these two people would finally be together for the rest of their lives. She told Ginny how she felt and gave her a big hug. “Congratulations Ginny, I’m so happy for you! You’re going to make a beautiful bride.”

Ginny blushed.



Looking at her fingers and her wrinkled skin Hermione also felt a wrinkle appear on her forehead. Their conversation during lunch hadn’t been all that pleasant, at least not for her anyway. The memory was causing the wrinkle because Ginny had touched upon the very reason why Hermione’s life was even more ordered and full of work now than it had ever been at Hogwarts…except maybe her third year of course.



After chatting about the upcoming wedding, “What will I wear? What will he wear? Where shall we be having the ceremony?” and more, Ginny had started about Hermione’s so-called love life. Hermione tried to get off the subject; her friend knew full well she didn’t have one.

“Don’t hide it Hermione! There has to be someone; there is always some guy in a girl’s mind. You know who that someone is. Your crush on that man never left,” Ginny had stated with confidence, “And not only do you still have a kind of schoolgirl crush on him, I’m positive you love the man.”

Hermione had glared at her, fully aware of the change Ginny had made from guy to man, and that had started off their, “You are”, “Am not”, bickering.



When she had gotten home about an hour ago, Ginny had started about the same subject again, even though she knew Hermione didn’t want to talk about it. Now, however, she carefully looked into the bathroom to see Hermione in a bath filled with foam and a deep wrinkle on her forehead. “Hermione?” she tried tentatively. Hermione pushed away some foam from her face.

“Hmm?” The wrinkle was still there.

“I’m sorry about earlier; I shouldn’t have pushed you so much.”

Hermione opened her eyes and the wrinkle disappeared a little, she looked at the redhead who clearly was ashamed of herself. “That’s okay Gin, I’m just tired. I just want to relax and not think of him. He’s not in my life anymore, and it will probably be a long time before any other guy comes along.”

A little snort from Ginny made her change her mind

“Okay fine, before any man will be in my life again,” she sank back into her thoughts again.

Ginny was smiling, “No, I guess he’s not,” she murmured softly, “And I doubt if any man will ever take his place in your heart.”

Hermione, who was too deep in thought to fully realize what she was agreeing too, replied, “No, probably not.” All she was thinking about were those dark tunnels that were his eyes.

Ginny silently left the bathroom. She had known from the beginning who it was in the dreams of her best friend, and she would help her to find the love she wanted. She wanted Hermione to be just as happily in love as she was. Yes, maybe it was time to tell Harry.




AN Basically I have finished writing this story, and I will be able to add chapters quickly. Let me know what you think, especially since I'm not sure about the ending yet.
Thank you so much to my two Beta's Natasha and Ceciel. I wouldn't have been able to submit this without you two.
A Simple Plan by Miss
Disclaimer: I own nothing. JKR has the magical touch>


Chapter 2 A Simple Plan




The following morning, Hermione woke up early. She didn’t like to sleep in late whether it was a workday or a Saturday like today. She got up out of bed and decided that she would go into the office for a little bit; she wanted to get some work done. There was a difficult new healing potion she wanted to work on, and a nice and quiet office was exactly what she needed now. Work in silence, and get some thinking done at the same time. The best combination Hermione could think of.

Although she didn’t want to admit it, Ginny had been right yesterday: she still liked the man a lot. Hermione wasn’t too sure on love though. That was a whole other thing, but all the same, she wasn’t quite able to get him out of her mind today, so there must have been something there. After quickly taking a shower and getting dressed, Hermione headed for the kitchen to grab some food and then apparated to the ministry. As she walked to her lab, thoughts of him and of the work she wanted to do today fought in her mind on who would come first “Quiet you two”, she thought sternly, “there’s plenty of room for both of you!

In all her haste to leave the apartment and get to her lab, Hermione didn’t notice that Ginny was up early as well, unusually early for someone who loved to sleep in as late as she could, especially on a Saturday.

When Hermione had left the apartment, Ginny had heard the familiar pop, and she got out of bed and quickly wrote a note to Harry to prepare him for her early arrival. When her owl, Artesimius, had flown out the window, Ginny started to get ready. She and Harry had decided that they didn’t want to wait much longer now that he had finally asked her. And since marrying a month from now meant a lot of planning, this fine Saturday at the beginning of June would be the day to do all that. “ And, ” Ginny thought mischievously, “a little bit of extra planning would do as well.”

Just when she was getting impatient with her fiancé, Artesimius arrived back in her kitchen with a short, “Okay love,” from Harry. Ginny smiled at the little note, and she apparated to 12 Grimmauld Place immediately. She was greeted by a, “Good morning love,” from Harry. He was still waking up. She could tell because he was only half-dressed. It seemed Artesimius had woken him up, for his jet-black hair was more ruffled than ever. His green emerald eyes, on the other hand, were shining and wide-awake as they were looking at her. “They always seem to be doing that lately,” Ginny thought lovingly, but it made her feel special, so she wasn’t complaining.

Ginny walked up to him “Good morning to you too,” and kissed him on the cheek. “We need to talk about something,” she added more seriously.

“So I gathered from your very early note. I wasn’t even up yet, and Artesimius scared the living daylights out of me when he was trying to wake me up,” he had sounded upset on purpose and looked at his fiancé to see if the words had the effect he was looking for. He knew of Ginny’s love to sleep in late, even later than him, and her dislike for being woken up too early. No reaction came from her. There were certainly no loving words to sooth him or make him feel any better. “Is everything okay?” Harry was starting to get worried. Her lack of response was not something he had ever dealt with before; it was usually her lack of silence that came his way. Deciding that it must be something serious, he tried a different approach, “Ginny, what is going on? You know you can tell me anything,” he stroked her cheek with his hand when he said this.

Ginny, in the meantime, had hardly listened to anything Harry had said. She had been thinking of how she would tell him the secret she had kept for over six years now. She had never told anybody. She had not even made any direct comment about it towards Hermione herself. But finally his last comment registered. She sighed and finally looked at him, “I need to talk to you about Hermione”

“What do you mean? What is wrong with her? There’s nothing wrong is there?” Harry had always been very protective of his best friends, and Ginny placed a comforting hand on his shoulder to reassure him.

“No, nothing’s wrong. It’s actually very right. I mean, the feelings are there and all, but she’s not doing anything to make it work. She’s not acting on them,” Ginny was babbling, and when Harry looked politely puzzled, she knew she finally had to get it over with. “Look, Hermione is in love. She has been for a long time…for over six years and….”




Harry couldn’t believe what he was hearing. It was quite a story even more so because Hermione and Ginny had both been able to hide it from him for all this time. On the other hand, it did make sense to him. It made sense why Hermione sometimes behaved as if she was an old spinster already.

Playing with his coffee for a while a thought struck him, “Hey Gin but wait...what about that guy, you know, the one she dated while at university?” He had never been able to remember his name.

Ginny looked up from the battlefield that was their breakfast, a cracker still in her hand, “You mean David?”

“Yeah him.”

“I don’t know. Hermione seemed to like him at the time, but…” Ginny looked into Harry’s eyes and felt a sudden weakness wash over her, “he never made her shine like you do whenever you look at me,” she suddenly giggled and turned as red as her hair. She hadn’t meant to say anything like that, but at the moment she was drowning in those shining emerald eyes again.

“Ah,” he got up and picked Ginny up before walking back to his bedroom, “and what about you Ginevra Weasley? Do I make you shine?”

“Oh yes, very much so,” was all that came out in between their kisses.




Sometime later, Ginny was lying in Harry’s arms, placing small kisses on his chest and the arms that were holding her. “We need to plan this,” she whispered softly.

“I know. I was thinking that maybe we could ask Albus to conduct the ceremony. He would love to, I’m sure. But maybe not at Hogwarts though. I know it’s a beautiful place and all, but it would be lovely to hold it outside somewhere, standing there in sunshine.” All of a sudden he was laughing out loud, “Can you imagine what it would be like to get married on the Quidditch pitch or under the Whomping Willow or at the…what?” he exclaimed, confused.

Ginny had sat up rolling her eyes and now no longer in his arms, “Harry James Potter will you please stop your rambling right now? You know I wasn’t talking about that,” her eyes were ablaze with a fire that he knew only too well, and it wasn’t the kind of fire that he liked in her.

“I know love…hey, Ginny look at me,” he cupped her chin with his hand and made her look at him, “I know,” he stated softly. “Look, the whole thing is new to me and has to sink in a little. Besides, if we want to do this right, we need to plan it. She is a very intelligent person, and so is he. We can’t risk either of them finding out about us meddling or they will kill us,” Harry sighed, but then his eyes started to twinkle.

“What is it Harry? What are you smiling about?” Ginny laughed as she started tickling him, knowing he would soon spill everything just to make her stop.

“What about the lake Gin?” he looked at her hopefully, “let’s gets married at the lake with Albus conducting the ceremony. It would make it easy to get them together as well.”

Ginny thought for a second, seeing Harry and herself standing at the edge of the lake, “Yes that would be perfect.” As she lay back down into his arms again, the simplest of plans started to form in her head. “Yes, a simple matter of getting everybody involved, and making the two spend time together. That would just work perfectly.




AN Thanks again to my two Beta's Natasha and Ceciel. And to everybody who reads my little story. You keep me alive until HBP comes out.
An Interesting Cup of Tea by Miss
Disclaimer: JKR owns this world, she is the one with the magical touch.

Chapter 3 An Interesting Cup of Tea




Still working in silence in her lab on a Saturday morning, stirring her cauldron, and thinking about him at the same time, Hermione spun around at the sound of whooshing flames. Seeing the head of Albus Dumbledore look up at her from her fireplace, she smiled, “Morning Albus.”

“Good morning Hermione. I had the feeling I would find you in your lab. What is the important potion you’re working on now that can’t possibly wait until Monday morning?” he asked with his usual twinkle in his eyes.

“A new healing potion, but it seems I can’t get it to work properly. I can’t find the right ingredients.”

“Ah yes, I heard Madam Pomfrey talking about this new healing potion of yours. She seems to be very excited about the possibilities. I’ll tell her you’re still working on it,” Albus was silent for a few seconds. Then, “Is there anything else you would like to tell me?” he looked at her inquiringly.

Hermione smiled. Even though she was long gone from Hogwarts, he still knew everything that concerned her and all the other people he cared about. She also knew she could tell the old wizard anything, so there was no point in hiding her reasons for being at work on a Saturday morning, “And I needed some time alone to think.”

Albus chuckled, “Nothing has ever changed in that department, has there.” It wasn’t a question and Hermione could only agree.

“What is it you came to see me for Albus?” Hermione knew that he hardly did anything or went anywhere without having his reasons. She had just told him hers, so why not ask him?

“Well nothing special really. I just wanted to ask you if you felt like having a cup of tea with me on this magnificent day. And before you say no as you usually do when working on something important,” for a fleeting moment he looked at her almost like a strict teacher would at a student, reminding her forcefully of Professor McGonagall, “just remember that two heads can come up with a better solution to your problem than one.”

Hermione wasn’t too sure which problem he was talking about but laughed none the less, “You are right Albus, as always. Give me a few moments to clean up.”

A few moments later, Hermione stepped out of the fireplace and into the beautiful oval office of Albus Dumbledore. She noticed that it hadn’t changed much since she had been there last. Her year as Head Girl was already six years in the past, but it seemed as if hardly any time had passed inside this office at all. The only thing that showed her that time had indeed passed were a couple of new trinkets spread here and there throughout the room. She wondered what they were for, always curious to learn something new. Waking out of her reverie, she finally turned to look at Albus and offered him a smile.
“All cleaned up? Time for some tea then,” he gave a flick of his wand, and a tea tray appeared. Another flick, and the cups filled themselves, “I can only assume you still prefer to drink Chinese Jasmin tea?” he stated offering Hermione a cup.

“Is there anything you don’t know?” she simply stated in return while gracefully accepting the cup that he was holding out to her.

“Well, I don’t seem to know what could trouble you so much to make you go into the office on a Saturday just so you can think.”

“It’s nothing really,” she sighed, “just some silly discussion I had with Ginny that got me thinking.”

“Ah, and how is young Miss Weasley?”

“Good,” quietly thanking Albus that he had changed the subject she continued, “she is about to become Mrs. Potter.”

The twinkle in the old wizard’s eyes became even clearer when he heard this, “So Harry has finally asked her to be his wife. Good, good. He needs someone strong in his life.”

Hermione immediately knew what he was thinking of. The final battle with Voldemort had been hard on all of them, especially on Harry, Albus and Severus Snape. It was in the past now, but not without its lingering effects.

“Yes, I was hoping Ginny would make him happy,” he muttered.

If Hermione had thought Albus had changed the subject earlier to make her more comfortable, she quickly found that he had absolutely no trouble at all with making her uncomfortable again. His musings on the last battle disappeared as he looked at the woman sitting in front of him, and remembering the reason why he had asked her to join him in tea. “So what was it that you and Miss Weasley were talking about that got you all bothered and working on a Saturday?”

It was no good. Hermione would have to spill, “Severus Snape,” she said softly.

Albus chuckled. He had known about this all along of course. He knew of most of the things that went on inside the castle and a lot about what went on outside it too. This love of Hermione for potions, and especially her potions master, was no exception. However, it was not like him to really meddle in someone’s love life, but that didn’t mean he couldn’t satisfy his curiosity and try and figure out if there was something in the first place. So at the moment he pretended the subject was new to him, “What about him?” he inquired innocently enough for Hermione to raise a brow.

“Well,” she paused unsure how to continue, then deciding that the truth seemed to be the only way to go, “Ginny seems to think that I’m in love with him. I mean,” oh why did she have to blush when she said that? She could feel the heat rise in her cheeks, “I did have a crush on him in my last year,” she whispered softly, “but I haven’t spoken to him or even seen him in almost three years, and before that we were always fighting if we ever did speak,” she added as an afterthought.

Albus looked at her with a slight frown. “If you haven’t seen him in three years, you could always go down to the dungeons and talk to him now. Even the temperature down there should be pleasant enough on a day like this.” Hermione stood up placing the empty tea cup back on his desk, giving Albus a warning with her eyes. “Just talking, Hermione, nothing more, you’re both adults now.”

“No Albus, no meddling,” she smiled at him, “Like I told Ginny yesterday, there is no such thing going on. Besides I don’t think Severus would like anyone, especially his former student, walking in on him during the holidays. I think I’ll just go to the Apothecary and pick up some new ingredients to try out.”

“You’re always welcome if you ever want to put our heads together again. Just let me know if you want to discuss that new healing potion of yours,” he smiled as she walked to the door.

Hermione turned and smiled, “I know, and I will.”


Walking out of the office, she was soon out of the castle. He had been right though, she thought as she walked over the school grounds enjoying the weather; on a warm day like this, even the dungeons wouldn’t stay cold. Oh well, it would probably only make Severus crawl in a deeper hole. Hermione grinned as she walked towards Hogsmeade.

When she was almost at the Apothecary, Hermione was stopped by the sight of a little shop she had never seen there before, and decided that it must be new. But it wasn’t the shop itself that had caught her attention. Inside, she saw the most beautiful lavender dress she had ever seen. That dress would be perfect for the wedding although she probably couldn’t even afford it. “The Apothecary Hermione,” she sighed to herself, “not dress shopping even if you do have to buy one soon.

As she left the little shop and walked further down the street, still deep in thought, she didn’t notice the man that had passed her in the opposite direction. While Hermione picked up the ingredients, she thought would work in the healing potion, and decided that she would work in her lab a few more hours.

Severus Snape stood across from the store Hermione had just been looking at. He wondered for a moment if it really was the bushy haired know-it-all he had just seen, because he had seen a beautiful young woman with hardly any trace left of the annoying schoolgirl he had known. But then he heard her mutter her own name. “What do you need a dress for Miss Granger? All you do is work on your potions and read.”.

Deciding he had better things to do than ponder the fate of one Hermione Granger, he took one fleeting look at the dress before he continued out of Hogsmeade and up to the castle. Gathering his thoughts on the work he wanted to do this afternoon he couldn’t help to think about her one last second, “You would look good in that lavender dress, though.




AN: Is she finally going to admit that she has feelings for the man? Is he ever going to notice her around? If you want to know, then let me know what you think of this so far. I will add chapters as soon as I can.
Explaining a Little by Miss
Disclaimer: I don't owe this world, JKR is the one with the magical touch.

Chapter 4 Explaining a little




The following weeks had flown by…pretty much the same as they always had for Hermione. Still busy with her work, the most noticeable changes had been in her friendships, which had intensified greatly. The trio had always stayed close, but it seemed that their bond had grown tighter. This was mostly because ever since Harry and Ginny had decided to get married, Hermione had become very involved in the planning of it all. She welcomed the change because she knew she needed it, but she wondered at the same time why the couple wanted her to be involved so much. They had asked her to help with everything, stating that she might have some ideas knowing about muggle weddings and such. She had looked at Harry questioningly, but she had to confess he knew almost nothing about them.

In the end, all this planning had led to days when she had to take time off from work, and now she could hardly ever be found at the Ministry during the weekends. No, there was something in the air, and a change of sorts was all Hermione could make of it.

Today was going to be one of those days that wasn’t anything like the ones she had experienced before this whole wedding thing had started. She was going to spend the whole day with Ginny. They would be going over the final details of the ceremony (which would probably change again because Ginny had seen or heard about something new). They also would be going over the final guest list to make sure everybody was invited, and so the owls could be send out the following day. After that, it would be lunch and dress shopping. Hermione felt giddy like a sixteen-year-old schoolgirl. She decided that she would take Ginny to that new store she had seen a few weeks ago. It was going to be a fun day. If only she could get Harry and Ginny to unhinge and get out of the bedroom!

She knocked on Ginny’s door, “Ginny will you please hurry up; we’ve got a lot to do today!” A slight groaning sound was all she could hear, “Hey, you were the one who wanted to start early, remember?”

“Okay coming Hermione, I’m coming. Hey stop it, you,” Hermione could hear her roommate giggle, and quickly moved away from the door. She had enough experience with the couple to have absolutely no intention to stay and listen to the sounds that were coming from inside the bedroom.

A few muffled sounds later, Ginny walked into the kitchen, dressed, and with a slightly guilty look on her face, “Sorry about that Hermione, but we…”

“Don’t worry about it. I know. You can’t really be together at #12 Grimmauld Place because they are still cleaning the place up. And your mother is making you stay at the Burrow until the wedding s as of tomorrow. I know Gin,” Hermione was laughing at the stunned look on Ginny’s face.

“Are we really that bad?”

“Yes, when you two are together you are, but you’re about to get married, and you won’t be together for a week, so you’re allowed,” Hermione couldn’t help it; Ginny’s happiness was making her smile.

“Thanks,” A blush as red as her hair was creeping up Ginny’s face.




After having a quick breakfast together and saying goodbye to Harry, both girls got up and apparated to a spot just outside the Hogwarts grounds. They silently walked up to the lake, and went to the spot that Harry had chosen for the wedding ceremony. As they sat on the grass, they went through the details.

“Oh, and I loved that thing about the white doves at the end that you told me about, but I still don’t understand why muggles would throw rice in the air. It would probably only get stuck in my hair or something!”

“Come to think of it, I don’t know either, but we can easily leave it out if you want.”

“Hmm,” Ginny thought aloud.

“So a definite no on the rice, and yes on the doves?”

“Yes that would be lovely,” Ginny was already dreaming again. Hermione looked at her friend and grinned. It was good to see Harry and Ginny in love.

“It’s going to be beautiful Ginny. The weather is going to be perfect. The ceremony will be a nice combination of wizard and muggle, and you two will finally be husband and wife,” Hermione assured her.

Ginny turned to her and smiled, “I know. I just wanted to make sure one last time that everything is perfect for next week.”

“It will be. We didn’t leave anything unaccounted for…even down to the seating arrangement during the ceremony. Well, except of course that you won’t tell me who will be sitting next to me.”

“No Hermione, I won’t tell,” Hermione had given Ginny an almost pleading look, but the Weasley girl had just smiled mysteriously back at her, “You’ll find out soon enough.”

It didn’t really matter to Hermione whether Ginny would tell her or not. She had her suspicions as to who the mystery guest was. There was one name on that guest list that was standing out in absence so much that it was almost screaming at her. It hadn’t helped her suspicions either that Ginny had made absolutely no comment about crushes or being in love or anything of that nature to her since their bickering a couple of weeks ago. Moving her hands over the grass to feel it tickle her palms, there was only one thing that Hermione was wondering about; whether she would be able to sit next to Severus Snape for an hour without getting into a fight with him. Since her graduation, fighting was something they had always done within a matter of minutes.

No, she wanted everything to be perfect for Harry and Ginny. On the other hand, she knew that her feelings for Severus, and his obvious dislike for her, would make them clash at some point during the day. She just hoped that the bride and groom wouldn’t notice it.

“Hermione? Hermione!” This time it was Ginny who noticed Hermione dreaming, “Oh for heavens sake, where are you?” Ginny was waving her hands in front of Hermione’s face, “Hello, Earth to Hermione Granger! What are you dreaming about?”

“Hmm? Oh, just that dress I told you about. I’ll show it to you this afternoon,” Hermione quickly recovered from the reverie she was in, and tried, but failed, to look innocent. Her friend, however, was not fooled, as she noticed the frown on Ginny’s face and the twinkle in her eyes at the same time. Had the person of her musings been that obvious? Deciding that she didn’t want to know, she stood up, cleaned her hands with a simple spell, and pulled Ginny up from the grass, “Come on Gin, I’m starving. Up to the Three Broomsticks.”




Enjoying their lunch in the familiar pub, Hermione was surprised to see the frown upon Ginny’s face was still there. Taking a sip from her pumpkin juice, she wondered why her friend was worried, even when everything was planned beyond perfection. She didn’t expect the question that was coming.

Ginny suddenly looked up from the salad she was eating, “Why do you like him so much?” Hermione was startled and nearly choked on her juice; she swallowed quickly before spraying the table. There was no doubt in her mind who her friend had meant, but the question had been so sincere that for a moment, she didn’t know how to answer.

“I don’t really know Gin,” Hermione managed to utter.

Ginny gave her a surprised look and snorted, “Every girl knows why,” she replied.

“Well I mean you know when I had that crush on him…”

“Your seventh year. It was hard to miss,” Ginny said. Now it was Hermione’s turn to be surprised, she raised a brow in question. She had always been fairly certain that nobody knew.

“Hard to miss when you’re me that is. We were already spending a lot of time together back then, remember? Harry and Ron were clueless though,” They both smiled, Hermione with a small sigh of relief, and Ginny looked at her expectantly again.

“It’s just that he’s an extremely intelligent, powerful wizard and skilled with his potions, which, of course, you have to be if you want to become a Potions Master. Anyways,” she sighed, “I started to notice these things about him.”

Not to mention the way his slender fingers seemed to work on their own, when his beautiful black eyes scanned the class that was before him,’ she thought.

“I just realised that he was similar to me in so many ways. His love for knowledge and solitude, and I felt that those were the things I was looking for. Not some guy, but this man was what I needed.”

“So why exactly did you two never…”

“Get together?” Hermione laughed bitterly, “Because it was against the school rules, but mostly because he disliked the very sight of me. To him, I was just the bushy haired know-it-all that started screwing up her potions in her NEWT year. After my graduation all we ever did was fight, and from that moment on I became even more ordered and busy in everything I did. Mostly so I would never fail in front of him again. I wanted him to be able to see that I was good enough for him, if he ever did take the time to notice that I was there,” Hermione swallowed hard. She had never told anyone what had happened in her NEWT year, now six years ago. Ginny thought it would be better to not go into the details. She had seen that there was more to the story, but she had also seen the bit of sadness that now lingered around Hermione’s eyes.

“You’re not the schoolgirl know-it-all he knew before.”

“Nope, but I doubt he will ever notice the change in me and suddenly decide that he likes what he sees.”




AN Well we know he definitely did notice her, especially the changes. What he thinks of her now, well just wait for the next chapter. Thanks to my lovely beta's, again :-)
Buying Dresses by Miss
Disclaimer: I own nothing, JKR is the one with the magical touch.


Chapter 5 Buying dresses




“Oh Hermione, it’s absolutely beautiful!” Ginny was squealing in delight.

“I know, but I can’t afford it,” Hermione sighed. There was no way; her wallet would definitely not allow her to buy this dress. Ginny on the other hand was smiling mischievously, a small twinkle in her eyes.

“Well that doesn’t mean you can’t try it on while I try on all the different wedding dresses they have in this place! Come on, it will give you something to do besides commenting on me,” Ginny pulled Hermione inside enthusiastically.

They had finished their lunch a bit earlier, and now Hermione was showing Ginny the store where she had seen that beautiful lavender dress. As they walked into Eve’s Evening Gowns, Hermione noticed that the store wasn’t as small as she’d thought it had been, and the sight of so many dresses made her feel all giddy again, just like that morning. Ginny gave another small tuck on Hermione’s arm, and went straight for the wedding dresses. The mostly white, dresses were displayed at the back of the store. Hermione followed her suit, a smile on her face.

After a few moments of taking in all the luxurious fabrics, the beautiful lines, and the shear amount of dresses to choose from, Eve herself came up to them and noticed both women were looking equally happy.

“Who is the lucky girl, and what would she like to wear?” Eve questioned, and Hermione instantly pointed at Ginny and chuckled.

“She is the lucky girl, and she would like to shine.”

“Now that, we can accomplish,” she said with a smile.

Eve hadn’t been lying; there were several dresses that made Ginny shine, and after almost two hours of fitting one after the other, it had come down to two different dresses. Trying them on in turn, she finally decided that she had found the one. It was a beautiful silk-like gown with thin spaghetti straps. There were no details on it except for a single layer of thin see-through gossamer, almost like a veil, that was wrapped around the upper part of her arms and body. One end of it was attached to the side of the dress while the other went around her before it was pinned down just above her hip with a white rose. The end trailed down to the floor. The skirt was also without detail and fanned out a little when touching the floor.

“I think I’ll go for this one. It somehow feels like an outside summer dress, which is exactly what I need. What do you think Hermione?” Ginny grinned. Hermione was staring at the lavender dress again, pretty much like she had done all afternoon. It felt strange, but she somehow felt like it was her dress. She finally looked up when she heard her name.

”You look beautiful Gin; you’re positively glowing.”

“So would you in that lavender dress you were staring at. Go on, try it on,” she urged.

“Oh, why not? Miss Eve, could I try that lavender dress on, please?” Hermione asked pointing to the front of the store. Eve looked at her, and then at the dress.

“I’m sorry Miss, but I’m not sure if you can,” The two looked politely puzzled at her. Explaining she added, “You see, this gentleman send me an owl last week to buy that dress. He told me that the lady he bought it for would pick it up this week or the next. Since it is already paid for, I can’t really let anybody just try it on.”

Hermione felt a little disappointed. She had hoped that in a moment of weakness, she would try the dress on and find herself unable to leave the store without it. Ginny, however, wanted to know more about this mysterious man.

“You mean to tell me that a man bought this dress without ever letting you know who he was?”

“Yes. It’s not something that normally happens, but there was a voucher included with the right amount of galleons to pay for the dress and the accessories that go with it. I don’t even know how he found out what the right amount of galleons was.”

“Accessories?” Hermione was finally starting to listen to the conversation and picked out the one thing that interested her. The dress could be even more perfect. This mystery man had spent a lot of money on a very lucky woman.

“Yes, the shoes and a little purse. There are also some earrings and a necklace that go with it.” Ginny was looking at Eve in disbelieving shock.

“And how exactly do you know if the right woman shows up? It would be an awful lot of galleons wasted if someone else took it.” Eve smiled at Ginny with understanding while pulling out a little note.

“Yes, that would be a shame, but the gentleman gave me her name to verify that she is indeed the right woman. The note also has some magic to assure she is the right one,” Checking the name on the note she added “a Miss Hermione Granger.”

Ginny laughed at the look of surprise on Hermione’s face, “I guess now you are the lucky girl, Hermione.”

It had only taken moments for Hermione to try on the dress and realise that it was perfect. The dress was a strapless gown with a tight bodice covered in the thinnest layer of white lace, almost as if a spider had randomly crossed his web over it. The skirt was plain with a few lines sewn into it so as to accentuate the form. It was a curve hugging dress that fanned out from just below the knee. The shoes and purse that went with it were of a simple kind, both in a silvery colour to match the earrings and necklace, which both contained small diamonds. “Who and why would anyone spent so much money on me?” she thought as she twirled in front of Ginny and Eve, but at the same time she couldn’t stop smiling.

Stepping out of the store, she was still stunned to know that someone had bought it for her. Ginny couldn’t stop grinning either, “But who would…?”

“I don’t know Hermione, but it’s yours, and now we have to get these dresses back home. Besides, Harry is waiting for me.” That brought Hermione back to the present.

“Gin, you go home, and have a lovely last evening with Harry,” Ginny stared at her friend, not quite believing what she was hearing. Was Hermione giving her a last night alone with Harry?

“What about you? What are you going to do?”

“I told Albus I wanted to put our heads together again, over dinner this time,” Hermione gave a small smile when Ginny stared at her again, confused this time, “Just have fun. I’ll explain later.”

Hermione watched as Ginny carefully shrunk both dresses to fit in her pocket and apparated home. Then she slowly made her way up to the castle. Since it was the end of June, the castle was almost completely devoid of people, and as expected she didn’t see anyone until she arrived at Albus’ study. Walking to a room were dinner was waiting for them, Albus asked, “What did you need my head for this time? I know that you’re almost finished with that healing potion,” Hermione smiled, he hadn’t even greeted her yet.

“Evening Albus, and nothing special really.”

“Ah, if I remember correctly, that is what you said last time too.”




AN Of course we can all guess who bought that dress, but why is the big question. Please let me know what you think.

A huge thank you to my beta's Ceciel and Natoko.
Changes by Miss
Disclaimer: I own nothing, JKR is the one with the magical touch.


Chapter 6 Changes




Waking up on another Saturday morning, Hermione was trying to remember everything that had happened the previous day. As her thoughts wandered back on the unexpected conversation with Ginny, the mystery that had surrounded the dress, and finally Albus trying to get her drunk on Chinese Jasmine tea, she grinned.

It had been a very strange day, with a dinner at least as awkward as the rest of the day. There had been a sort of suspension in the room but Albus had kept his secret. Just like everybody else seemed to be doing lately.




“What did you need my head for this time, I know that you’re almost finished with that Healing Potion.”

“Evening Albus, and nothing special really.”

“If I remember correctly, that is what you said last time.” He showed her to the little dining area and held out a chair for her. He was a gentleman as always.

“Let’s just say that I’ve had a very interesting day with Ginny.” She sat down and looked at the unfilled plates, noticing for the first time how very hungry she was.

“Another discussion like last time, or something a bit more pleasant perhaps?” He waved his hand over the table and the plates filled themselves with food. “Please, tuck in,” he added.

Hermione gratefully started on her food. “More like a confession this time.” She had said it before she even started to think on what she would tell the old wizard. “You remember the subject of the last discussion?” She looked at Albus expectantly.

“Ah yes, the famous Potions Master again. I see.” He gave a small wink, and proceeded to eat his dinner.




The evening had turned around a bit after that. Hermione had expected Albus to go on about the same subject until he had all the details, but strangely enough he didn’t. It wasn’t like him to change the subject so abruptly, not when she made it clear that she was willing to talk about it. However, this time he had just smiled at her, and started talking about the Healing Potion.

Before dinner with Albus, she had thought it was just Ginny who didn’t want to tell her what was going on. That she didn’t want to let Hermione know that Severus was coming to the wedding, but now…? She just wasn’t so sure anymore, after all Ginny had never told anyone about Severus... Doubt crept across over Hermione’s face, ”Has she?”

A knock on her door and Ginny calling made her forget her musings. “Wake up Hermione, we have another busy day ahead of us.”

“Coming Ginny.” Hermione quickly dressed and went out into the living room. They were packing up Ginny’s stuff today, so Harry could move it to his place and Ginny could go to the Burrow later on. Molly Weasley had come over to help them with all the packing.

“Good morning Hermione.” Molly greeted before hugging her in a very mother-like fashion.

“Good morning Mrs. Weasley.”

“Can you believe my daughter is getting married in six days? I mean, I can remember the day she was born like it was yesterday.” Molly was staring at her daughter lovingly, with tears glistening in her eyes.

Hermione smiled at the slightly emotional mother. “Hardly,” she replied.

“Oh mum, come on, be happy for me.” Ginny had walked into the living room as well, and frowned at her mother.

“I am dear, I’m very happy.” And Molly gave her a hug and kiss to show it.

Hermione smiled at the little scene before her. She didn’t like to lose her roommate, but she was very happy for Ginny at the same time. It was a very mixed feeling. So not to let Ginny notice how emotional she was, and to hide the tears that came so easily these last few days, Hermione walked into the kitchen, to help Harry with some of the first boxes.

“Mum, you don’t think she knows, do you?” Ginny was staring at the door through which Hermione had just left.

Looking at the worried face of her daughter, Molly sighed. “No dear, don’t worry about it.”

“But what if she does?” Ginny now turned towards her mother.

“Well, does it really matter if she knows? I don’t think it's such a big deal.” Ginny raised a brow at this. “Don’t worry about it; the only thing we’re going to do is to make sure they stay close to each other. That’s all. Besides it would be worse if professor Snape knew!”

“Yeah, I know, but what if they start to fight. Hermione told me that all they ever do is fight.” Ginny didn’t know if forcing Hermione to stay close to Severus all day was such a good idea anymore. It had seemed like a simple enough plan a few weeks ago.

“My dear daughter, please remember that this was your idea in the first place, and besides, I don’t think your brothers would allow them to fight.” Molly took one more look at her daughter, imagining all the Weasley boys attacking Severus Snape, and then they both started to laugh.

“That’s true,” Ginny said with a sigh of relief.

“What’s so funny?” Hermione had come out of the kitchen when she had heard them laughing.

“Oh nothing.” Both mother and daughter quickly went back to work, leaving Hermione puzzled.




The rest of the day passed fast enough, and within no time at all they left for the Burrow. After eating dinner together with most of the Weasleys, Hermione went back to her now almost empty apartment. Working hard all day long had her mind craving for some rest, and her body for another long, hot, steaming bath. Getting in the water, she could feel the tension of moving around various objects all day long leave her body, only to be replaced by thoughts of him.




Hermione was at the wedding dancing with the groom when she saw him. He was walking towards her and she knew he would soon ask her to dance. He held out his hand toward her.

“Yes, I would love to.”

He took her in his strong arms and danced with her. He smelled so good and he was such a good dancer, she simply melted into his arms as they moved around the floor. They danced until the lights faded, until the music stopped. She didn’t want to stop dancing with him, not ever.

“I don’t want this to end.” Her voice was barely more than a whisper.

“It doesn’t have to end.” His voice was just as soft and she could feel his breath near her temple. She looked up into those dark loving eyes, knowing what was going to happen next.

“Severus.”

“Hermione.”

She leaned in knowing their lips would meet.




“Oh crap.” Glad that Ginny couldn’t see her right now, Hermione felt the heat rising to her cheeks. She was still in her bath and had fallen asleep, only to wake up when she felt the water reaching her nose. Getting out of the water to rinse herself in the shower, she thought back on her dream. A snort came out. “Well that is never going to happen.” Not in this life time.




AN I love dreaming about what you can't or don't have. It always makes me wonder what the real thing is like. The wedding is drawing closer...

Thanks to Crs for being my new Beta. You're actually helping me understand the mistakes I make, thank you for that. Also thanks to Ceciel and Natoko, you're support is wonderful.
The Wedding by Miss
Disclaimer: She owns this world, I just love it.


Chapter 7 The Wedding




Even though her apartment was so much more quiet and empty than she had ever experienced it, it didn’t slow down the time for Hermione. Ginny had been at the Burrow for five days now, but with all the last minute arrangements and Harry coming around every night, she might as well have been gone for just one night. Tomorrow would be the big day. And even though this meant getting up very early, Harry, not being able to visit Ginny, had once again come over to visit, this time bringing Ron along. They were remembering old times.

“Oh, I loved the look on his face when you hit him. He didn’t expect that,” Ron was laughing as Harry recalled Hermione hitting Draco Malfoy.

“I’m actually more proud of slipping away from Lucius in the Department of Mysteries, even if I was wrapped up in thoughts.” He stopped laughing immediately. They all looked away at that memory, contemplating the night that Sirius had fallen away from them, the night that had really started the war.

“Well, he’s gone now, and so is his boss.” Harry stared absentmindedly out the window, while Hermione and Ron gave each other a knowing look. The last fight had never left his mind.

“I don’t know about you two,” Hermione quickly changed the subject to get the tension out of the room, “But I’m tired and we have a very big day ahead of us tomorrow.” Hermione had gotten up to show the two men out.

“See you tomorrow, Hermione,” Harry and Ron both gave her a big hug. “Sweet dreams.”

“I will.” Hopefully about a certain Potions Master, she thought shyly. It would be better to get some real rest though, tomorrow would be a big day.




“You look beautiful, Ginny. You’re shining!” Hermione placed her hands on her friend's shoulders and squeezed them softly. Ginny looked amazing in her white dress, her hair done up in a simple twist with a few straight, red locks framing her face.

Looking at Hermione with a smile, she asked, “What do you think Harry will say?”

Hermione grinned. “Absolutely nothing! He’s just going to fall head over heels for you, again!” Now Ginny was grinning too, the butterflies in her stomach becoming more evident. “Now, however, I have to go and welcome your guests, Arthur will come for you when we are ready for you.” She made to leave.

“Hermione?” She turned around and looked at the redhead through the reflection of the mirror, now noticing the shy smile on Ginny’s face.

“Yes?”

“Thank you. For everything. And you look beautiful too.” Hermione walked back to
Ginny and gave her a hug. Then she quickly stood back, both girls were trying to hold back the tears that were threatening to fall.

Walking out of the room Ginny was using as a dressing room, Hermione went over to the lake to great the guests that were already there. She laughed silently as the large number of redheads that were the Weasleys came into view. They all greeted her with smiles on their faces, happy that this day had finally arrived. Yes, it promised to be a very beautiful day.




When it was time for Ginny to walk down her aisle, Hermione made one last check, and was stunned to find that two people weren’t there yet. She had already seen Albus, who would be the Master of Ceremony, but he and Snape, the unexpected guest, were nowhere within her sight. Just as she was about to ask Molly were the two men might be, the oak doors to the castle opened and both of them came walking out together.

As she had expected Severus was dressed in his usual black, but there was something about it that was different. It made Hermione hold her breath for just a moment.

“Ah, there you are. I was about to get nervous. Albus, Professor Snape.” She inclined her head to both men with a beautiful smile, only to quickly turn away at the scowl on Severus’ face. Albus chuckled. He had seen the play between them, the smile and the scowl, but he had also heard Severus’ sharp intake of breath when he had laid his eyes on Hermione just moments before. Yes, Ginny’s little plan might just work out.

“Yes, it seems that Severus here forgot what day today was, so I went to fetch him. I’m sure he doesn’t want to miss this for the world.” Severus now directed the scowl towards the Headmaster. Albus had practically dragged him along.

“I’m sure I would have,” Snape muttered. Although I’m glad to see she found the dress. She does look good in it, as I thought she would. Now it was Hermione’s turn to scowl.

Trying, for Harry and Ginny’s sake, to hide the sudden flash of anger, Hermione placed her hand in the crook of Severus’ arm and showed him to his seat. Pretending to tell him something about the proceedings that would take place in a few minutes time, she leaned towards him slightly. “You’d better behave mister, or I will hex you into oblivion!” Standing up she gave him a dazzlingly beautiful smile, took one more look around her to check that everything was in place, and sat down next to him. This was Harry and Ginny’s day and he was not going to spoil it.

Finally it was time for the ceremony to begin, and when Arthur and Ginny appeared everybody stood up. Walking down her aisle, Ginny was blushing slightly, but made her graceful way to Harry. Arthur gave his daughter a soft kiss on her cheek and then placed her hand in Harry’s.

“Take good care of my daughter, Harry, she is the only daughter I have.”

“I will sir.” Harry couldn’t take his eyes of Ginny.

“Shall we begin then?” Albus’ voice brought everybody’s attention to the ceremony, and even Hermione forgot all about her anger at Severus. She became very emotional during the ceremony, and watched with a loving smile as Harry and Ginny said their vows to each other.




Looking back at the ceremony, she thought she should have known it wasn’t to last. One quick look in the direction of Snape had made the happy feelings turn into anger once more.




She noticed that he wasn’t paying attention to the ceremony at all. He was just staring at the other side of the lake. Directing her eyes to where he was looking, she found there was nothing to see at all. She was about to turn away, prepared to ignore him for the rest of the ceremony, when she heard him muttering. What she heard made her blood boil.

Is he really making a mental list of the ingredients he needs to buy? A sharp nudge in his ribs made him turn her way, she gave him her most dangerous look and he read her eyes clearly, I warned you, pay attention or you’ll have to deal with me! Severus just returned the look and inclined his head back towards the ceremony in front of them.

“Harry, you may kiss the bride.” Harry did as he was told and placed a lingering kiss on Ginny’s lips. When he let her go and they turned around everybody got up and applauded for the longest time. The new Mr. and Mrs. Potter walked down the aisle together, as five white doves were released and signalled the end of the ceremony.

Hermione had stood up with the rest of the guests but she was still seething. That man had almost made her miss the most beautiful part of the ceremony. Applauding with the others she send Severus another glare, and then turned and gasped with the rest of the guests as the beautiful white birds took to the heavens.

If she had just looked at Severus a moment longer she would have missed the doves. Instead she would have seen the inward smile in his eyes though, when he allowed himself to take in everything there was about this woman. The dress did look good on her No, perfect, and her hair that was put up with a few elegant golden brown curls flowing down her back, he felt his fingers itching to caress her. But it was mostly her temper that had him smiling. He would tease her because, oh, how he loved the fire in this woman.

Albus couldn’t help but chuckle, the twinkle in his eyes becoming more pronounced. They do look good together, even when they are fighting.




AN Well at least this bit about the wedding could be connected to HBP, but I guess it is an AU now. Thanks everybody and please leave a review.
Something Else by Miss
Disclaimer: You know it, I don't own it.


Chapter 8: Something Else.




Trying to enjoy herself as much as she could, which wasn’t too hard on a beautiful day like this, Hermione found herself dancing with Albus. She did have a few things that were troubling her though, and she was going to dance with the old wizard until she had all the details. But how to start? Hermione smiled.

“So, Albus, what exactly did you have to do to Professor Snape to get him out of his beloved dungeons?” She looked at him with a mixture of interest and laughter in her eyes. Hermione knew for sure that Albus had done something, because it was more than obvious that Severus didn’t want to be at the wedding. He hadn’t paid much attention at the ceremony and now, when he could leave without too many guests noticing, he was just standing to the edge of the party, watching her with a dark look in his eyes. She wondered where that look came from. She wanted to find out, from Albus.

“Oh, not that much really.” Hermione gave him a pleading look that had him grinning. “Actually, all I had to do was mention your name,” he said, adding a wink for effect.

“Now we both know that that isn’t true.” The shock, ‘ that can’t be true, can it?’ and the realisation that it most definitely wasn’t, followed each other visible on her face.

“Well no, not really. I told him that you were there and would hex him into oblivion if he had the nerve to not show up.” Hermione snorted.

“And that made him come with you?” she asked, disbelievingly.

“He knows you are more than capable of doing it, especially when you are, ah... shall we say, angered?” Did that twinkle ever leave his eyes? Hermione knew Albus wasn’t telling her the truth, at least not the whole truth, but the answer had surprised her nonetheless.

“You know I would never do something like that, not today at least.” She added the last few words shyly with a slightly guilty grin on her face.

“I know, and so does Severus, but he came, didn’t he?”




Still not much wiser about Severus and his dark stare in her direction, Hermione noticed that Albus was leading her in his direction. She stiffened a bit, even though she didn’t want to. “Hermione, please calm down. I’m an old man, I need to rest but you are young and should be dancing through the night.”

“But, Albus, you know, just like I do, that he doesn’t want to dance, least of all with me.”

“Doesn’t he?”

Albus had that tell-tale twinkle in his eyes and Hermione knew it would be no good to protest any longer. Turning to Severus and holding out Hermione’s hand in his direction, Albus said, “Severus, be a gentleman and dance with this beautiful young lady, she deserves the attention of a graceful dancer.”

Hermione blushed crimson when he said this and became warm all over when Severus actually took her in his arms and danced with her. With a start, she noticed this was the second time today that they had been so close to each other.

She looked into his eyes and even though his black eyes bored into hers, she still wasn’t able to fathom his thoughts. She didn’t think he was angry with her, as she had thought earlier.

Placing her head on his chest, they danced in silence for a moment. She realised that his dress robes were a dark, velvet green bordering on black, and now she knew why he had looked so different and yet the same as always. She also noticed that Albus hadn’t been lying when he had called Severus a graceful dancer, he really was an extremely good dancer and, ‘ My lord, he does smell good!’ “Hmm, maybe that dream wasn’t a complete figment of my brain going crazy.”

“What dream?” His silky baritone voice sending shivers down Hermione’s spine. He felt them and she knew it.

“E…excuse m…me, sorry?” Why on earth would she have to start stuttering right now?

“You were talking about a dream you had, so I ask again, what dream?” Severus had felt her responses course through her body, from delight to the sudden stiffness in reaction to his question. That dream had been about him.

Had she really been talking out loud? Oh, crap!

“That is none of your business.” She felt a blush coming on and anger surge through her at the same time, although she wasn’t sure were the anger came from.

“Fine,” he stated abruptly and let go of her in the middle of the song, in the middle of the dance floor. Severus didn’t really want to let go of Hermione, he had liked dancing with her. He had noticed exactly just how much of a woman she had become. A woman who was intelligent, powerful and a skilled witch too. A woman that he could love, simply because she existed, a woman, he realised, he had fallen in love with all those years ago. But now all he felt was anger.

“Fine, then I’ll leave as you seem to want me to.” He turned around and strode back towards the castle, dark green robes billowing.

Stunned at what had just happened and her already present anger fuelled to the limit, she stormed after him. Ginny and Harry had looked up from their dance when they had noticed the sudden movements, and were now looking at Molly and Albus, who were standing next to them.

“Let me go see what is happening.” Albus left with a quick smile.




While Ginny was starting to doubt her plan once again, Hermione finally caught up with Severus at the entrance to his dungeons. She grabbed his arm and swung him around forcefully.

“And what was that all about?” When Severus looked at her she could see the fire blazing in his black eyes, just as it was in hers. Hermione didn’t back away, he noticed. Not even with his eyes blazing, towering over her, she still held her ground.

“What was what?” His voice, once again, cold and sneering. Hermione laughed coldly at him, it was like they were competing for something, who would be the first to back down.

“That whole act today. First, Albus has to practically drag you to the ceremony, which you obviously didn’t want to attend. Then you have plenty of opportunities to leave but you stay and watch me all evening. Finally, when we are dancing we have one small, silly, little argument and you leave! That thing!”

Snape was stunned for a moment, in awe that she stood up to him like that. Then he started to grin. ‘No, definitely no schoolgirl anymore, very much the woman he loved.

“What are you grinning about?” Hermione was stunned to see the half-smile on his face. She had never seen him smile before. It looked good on him.

“Nothing.” His coldness returned just as suddenly as it had disappeared only moments before. “Look, Miss Granger, I can hardly refuse anything the Headmaster asks of me, even if it is a stupid wedding ceremony.” Hermione was growling at him. “But even I know what common courtesy is and therefore I didn’t leave until it was, ah, appropriate.”

“And leaving me in the middle of a dance, in the middle of the dance floor is what exactly?” she spat back.

“I was speaking of common courtesy towards the married couple, Miss Granger, I don’t owe you anything.” Hermione was seething by now and the first hot, angry tears were falling down her cheeks.

“Fine, but you could have at least had the common courtesy,” Hermione couldn’t believe this was happening, “to pay attention to the ceremony or to congratulate them with a smile on your face. You could have at least had the courtesy to tell Ginny how lovely she looked, or you could have told me…!” She gasped and shot him a terrified glance before she turned on her heel and fled the Entrance Hall.

As Snape turned to leave for the dungeons once more, unable to believe what he had just heard, Albus silently went after Hermione. He found her a little away from the celebrations, sobbing.

“Hermione?” Albus sat down next to her.

“I’m sorry, Albus. I don’t want to ruin everything for Harry and Ginny.” She looked into his troubled face, she knew now that he had known all along.

“I’m sorry too; I made you dance with him.”

“Don’t be, I loved dancing with him. But…I just don’t understand. Why do I love him so much, it makes my heart ache? A painful feeling every time I see him. And every time we do talk or even when we are just close to each other, we end up fighting!” She suddenly stopped and grinned through the tears that had been falling from her eyes. As she looked up at the old wizard her grin turned into a heart felt smile. “I guess I do really love him, then,” she sighed.

“Then follow me, please.”




AN: Hells, you are the perfect beta.
Being Civil by Miss
Disclaimer: you know it, JKR owns it.


Chapter 9: Being Civil.




As he walked down the familiar steps to the dungeons and his private rooms, Severus was trying to figure out what exactly had happened moments before in the Entrance Hall. He had noticed that, “That woman,” he growled, had an effect on him and he hated everything that had any effect on him in any manner. But Hermione was even worse; she made him lose control like nobody ever could. She always made him feel like he was falling head first down the Astronomy Tower.

First, she would make him smile, enjoying having her around him. If Hermione was paying him attention, it was like looking at the stars on a particularly beautiful night, but when they reached the top of the tower she would push him over the edge. Having gathered enough height, she would drop his heart and it would plummet with their endless fighting.

Severus had wondered for the last four weeks how he had come to fall in love with Hermione. It was still a mystery. He had noticed her crush on him in the seventh year, observant as he was. He had even liked it that an intelligent girl like her could really see him, look past the exterior. But, how had this liking for the attention she gave him turned into love when they had hardly spoken to each other in the last six years since her finishing school?

Well he had to admit that he had followed her closely, he had even recommended her for the position at the Experimental Potions Department she held now. And then he had seen her a month ago in front of Eve’s, hearing her mutter about buying ingredients and dresses. He had seen the lavender dress she had been looking at, then pictured her in it and realised that she had become a woman. When he heard about the wedding, he had bought it for her….

He sighed, coming out of his reverie when he heard a knock on the door he had closed behind him only moments before. It had to be Albus. He had expected the old wizard to come after him.




Hermione slowly got up from the floor and followed Albus. He was walking back towards the castle. When they entered the Entrance Hall and she noticed that he was walking towards the dungeons, a knot tightened in her stomach. She hesitated.

“Albus, are you taking me down to the dungeons?” Hermione wasn’t sure whether she wanted to go down there, she didn’t know if she was up to another fight.

“Yes, I most certainly am.” The twinkle that had disappeared when Albus had found her crying was back and more pronounced than ever. “You are not the only one who has feelings in this matter.” He held the door to the dungeons open for her.

“Oh, I don’t doubt that Severus has feelings of loathing or disgust for me,” Hermione muttered. Albus turned around and looked at her questioningly. “Well, he does!” But did he? Hermione was starting to doubt herself, now that Albus was silently questioning her. Was it possible that the Potions Master didn’t dislike her, maybe even liked her? She put the thought away quickly as they arrived at Severus’ private rooms. Albus answered her question.

“No, I don’t think so, Hermione.”

She couldn’t help herself. “And what makes you think that?” Albus looked at her with another questioning look, this one a little stern. “I’m sorry,” she whispered, not meaning to sound so rude.

“I have known Severus for a long time, Hermione, and well, that dress makes me think that.” Hermione looked up sharply, but before she could ask him what he meant by that or anything else for that matter, he had knocked on the door and Severus opened it. Albus ushered her inside.




“Now listen, please, the both of you.” He looked at the two people in front of him. Severus was shocked and angry that Albus had brought Hermione down to his private rooms. Hermione, who had at least known that she would be seeing Severus, was a little more prepared and tried to think of a way to make this situation go away. She just didn’t see a way out, especially when Albus continued.

“Please listen, there is a lot going on between the two of you. No, Severus, please let me finish.”

Severus couldn’t believe Hermione was in his private rooms. He had hoped she would end up here at some time, but hopefully more willingly and he could see that all she wanted was to get away from him. He was brought back to reality by Albus’ next words.

“And I think that you should both be able to talk about this situation as adults. I’m going outside again because Harry and Ginny will soon be leaving. No, Hermione, you are staying here, they know where you are and why, they understand better than you think. Now, I don’t want to see either of you again until you can be civilised with each other again.” The old wizard gave them one last look that told both Hermione and Snape how serious he was about this situation. Then his smile returned. “Have a nice evening, then.” With that, he left.

Stunned at the, well, lecture Albus had just given them, they looked at each other. They were both feeling ashamed. A feeling like they had been acting as children all day long, when they were supposed to be adults. Maybe they had been. Finally, Hermione sat down and not wanting to look at Severus, she looked around his rooms. She focused her attention on the books on his shelves.

Severus, in the meantime, had walked over to the cupboard where he kept some of his stronger liquors, wanting to drown out her presence if she could not physically leave. Even before he poured himself some brandy he knew his attempt would be futile. Instead he turned around, “Anything you would like to drink?” ‘Maybe some Chinese Jasmine Tea?’ he thought to himself, smiling reluctantly that he knew this little fact about her.

“I don’t expect you have any tea in that cupboard, do you?” Hermione needed the warmth to ward off the cold she felt from being in the dungeons, although the heat of being alone with Severus was already doing a good job of that.

“Not unless you want some Firewhiskey in it.”

“Sure, why not.” Severus raised an eyebrow but turned again. Preparing the drinks for both of them, he thought that this evening might become interesting after all.

Returning with her tea, he sat down opposite from her, his face impassive again. This time they were looking at each other directly. “So what, exactly, are you doing here?” That cold voice never left him but this time, seeing her before him more beautiful than ever, he needed everything Slytherin in him to keep it there. He got the effect he was after though. Her eyes were ablaze again and he could feel the heat radiating from her.

“If you had noticed who was here earlier, you might have realised that Albus brought me here. He practically dragged me along, I certainly did not volunteer!” She shivered again, both from the cold of the dungeons and the look that he was giving her. ‘Was that a smile she saw in his eyes?

The shivers were nothing compared to what came next. She was completely surprised by the feeling of instant heat she felt when he handed her a blanket against the cold, and their fingers touched briefly. Wondering why he had been kind enough to give her the blanket in the first place, she thought that this evening might become interesting after all.

“I think I have realised a lot more than you can imagine, Miss Granger.” She wanted to seem disinterested but for some reason she wasn’t able to tear herself away from his gaze. She also noticed the change in his voice. It was less cold and sounded more reluctant about what he was going to tell her. It made Hermione curious, what had Severus realised?

Finally, “I remember a Potions class in your NEWT year when we were brewing a certain morphing potion.”

“The Polyjuice Potion,” she had said it before she could even stop herself. Her heart plummeted. He, Severus Snape, her Potions Professor, had known all along. Hermione knew exactly what he was talking about, knew exactly what had happened during that class. It was the moment she had noticed him, noticed Severus and not Professor Snape; it was the day this had all started. “How did you know?” Hermione wasn’t sure she wanted to hear the answer and finally she was able to break their eye contact, her cheeks crimson again. Severus just laughed.




AN: Don't kill me for leaving you with another cliff-hanger. I personally love them, just so I can speculate on what will happen next. There is only one more chapter after this, so then you'll know everything.

Thanks Hells, nobody does it as good and quick as you, beta reading that is.
I Always Wondered if You Would by Miss
You know it, I don't owe it.


Chapter 10: I Always Wondered If You Would.




“The Polyjuice Potion. How did you know?” Hermione's voice cracked. Severus just laughed. So it was true. Not only did he now know for sure that she had had a schoolgirl crush on him, but noticing her red cheeks and voice, there seemed to be something still there, even after six years. He smiled at her before continuing his story.

“You never made any mistakes. You were the perfect little Miss know-it-all. You never messed up a potion in my class, especially not potions you had made before, but for some reason that day it went wrong. I noticed that you had quite a few near misses but you corrected them all in time before you went, shall we say, over the top?” Letting the words sink in, he took a sip of his brandy. “You were dreaming, and Miss Granger did not dream in her classes, it was unheard of. But you did dream that day, in my class.” He added the last few words in a soft silky whisper.

Hermione couldn’t help it, she wanted the ground to swallow her up whole, but she couldn’t do anything but stare at Severus again, the red in her cheeks becoming deeper by the moment. “How did you know that I had made it before?” She didn’t know what else to say but she knew she should keep her mind in a rational state. Asking questions helped.

“Albus told me.” He looked at her with a bit of triumph on his face.

“What else do you know about...” she hesitated, “…me?” Her voice was barely more than a whisper but she had to know if he knew. Severus heard her and he knew, laughing at the memory.

“Nobody makes mistakes in my classroom without paying for it. You were fascinated by potions, so as a detention,” Hermione cringed, “I made you work in the lab, cleaning cauldrons and other filthy jobs that nobody ever likes.” A smirk now formed around his mouth and Hermione, unable to not look at him, felt like he was seeing right through her, through her mind and heart to that place she had locked away so deep.

“Acting on the thought that there was something behind your cauldron exploding, I pretended to be working in the same lab.” The smirk became more pronounced when he noticed her sharp intake of breath. “I noticed every glance in my direction, every smile that flitted across your face, every smile that should have been a scowl for what I was making you do, Miss Granger.” He had triumphed, he knew it. “I realised then.”

Looking away, Hermione realised something as well. So he knew everything, the secret she had kept and not even told Ginny. However, it was the look of triumph that made her register something else as well. He knew it had never gone away. Feeling a little more confident now that she didn’t have to hide anything anymore, she was ready. Taking a sip from her tea, she stood up and walked to the bookshelves. Severus was wondering what she would do next.

“So you knew and you know now, but it made absolutely no difference, did it?” She turned back to him, her mind still working rationally, she added, “You hated me then and you still don’t want me near you now, you’ve made that perfectly clear.” She didn’t expect it but she had made the smirk and look of triumph disappear from his face. The only thing that was there now was silence.

Does she really not realise that I do care for her, that I’m so much in love with her it turns everything upside down? No, of course not, how could she realise that I feel like this? I have never given her any reason to do so.

Why has he never done anything if he has known all along that I love him? He could have let me know, even sneered at me to tell me to go away if he despised me that much. But Albus said that he cared. Why then has he not done anything, I don’t understand, something is missing. Come on, Hermione, think!

They were both still caught up in silence. Severus was still sitting in his chair, swirling his brandy while wondering how to talk to her. She was obviously angry with him for his lack of response. Hermione, in the meantime, was walking around his private rooms, taking everything in, since this would probably be the only time she would be allowed in. She ended up in front of a full length mirror and dropped the blanket Severus had given her earlier. She touched the necklace and then the bodice, taking in the beautiful dress again. Then it hit her, her memory going back to earlier that evening.




“You are not the only one who has feelings in this matter.”

“Oh, I don’t doubt that he has feelings of loathing or disgust for me,” she muttered. Albus turned around and looked at her questioningly. “Well, he does!”

“No, I don’t think so, Hermione.”

“And what makes you think that?” Albus looked at her with another questioning look, this one a little stern. “I’m sorry.”

“I have known Severus for a long time, Hermione, and well... that dress makes me think that.”




“My dress,” she gasped when she thought back to that afternoon in Eve’s. Had Severus bought it for her? Had he spent that much money on her?

Severus had turned around at her words and looked at the beautiful image she made in his mirror. Her face was difficult to read, he saw questions and realisation, laughter and sadness in it. “You bought this dress for me, didn’t you?” He stood up, an indescribable attraction pulling him towards her. He met her eyes through her reflection as he walked towards her.

“How did you know?” He now stood next to her, tracing the outline of her face with his fingers without really touching her. Hermione could feel the tension between them.

“Albus told me, I just didn’t realise that he had.” Hermione felt confused, she was happy now she knew that Severus did care for her. She felt giddy like a schoolgirl again, felt the thrill and the happiness that this guy, no, man, loved her back. But the feeling was tempered when she realised he had never let her know, that he had hidden his own feelings when he knew they would be returned.

Hermione looked at Severus with tears in her eyes. He had seen the grin and blush of realisation on her face only to see it change into a frown of frustration and now the sadness that lingered.

“Hermione….”

She stared into his eyes, startled at hearing her name, and a single tear fell down her cheek. Severus wanted to brush it away. They were extremely close to each other now.

“Why didn’t you ever….” He knew her story, now Hermione had to know his. Uncharacteristically, he averted his eyes.

“I didn’t realise what I felt was love, not until I saw you looking at that dress a month ago.” Slowly he lifted his eyes towards hers again.

“And are you really?” ‘Please, please, please, say yes!’ she thought, as another blush crept up her face.

“In love?” He softly closed the distance between her skin and his fingers, tracing the outline of her face again. “Yes, I am. I love you, Hermione.”

“I love you, too.” Severus closed the last bit of distance between them. Hermione didn’t move; she just looked up at him expectantly. He placed his other hand to her neck, feeling the soft curls. He was going to kiss her. Hermione closed her eyes as his lips softly touched hers. She became all warm and weak, finally placing her hands around him to keep herself from falling, deepening it further. The kiss was more than she could ever have imagined.

“Severus?” she gasped. He moved away slightly. “Can we please be uncivil to each other for one more night?” He smiled at her with a little glint in his eyes, and swept her up into his arms. Slowly walking to the bedroom, he placed Hermione on his bed. He lay down next to her, kissing and undressing her. Neither knew what would happen but they had both felt the passion and promise in that one kiss.




It had been a year since Hermione had first felt like something was changing. Looking back, she had to smile.

Coming back from her honeymoon, Ginny had confessed her little plan to get Hermione and Severus together. She had absolutely loved the two weeks with her new husband, but she had also had the feeling that she had to confess and apologise for everything. It wasn’t until Hermione had used a Silencing Charm on her that she was able to tell the new Mrs. Potter that her plan had worked. Ginny had squealed in delight when Hermione had removed the charm.

A couple of months ago, Hermione had noticed just how much her life had changed. Albus had offered her a teaching position at Hogwarts as the new Potions professor, since Severus had accepted the offer for the Defence Against the Dark Arts position. Hermione loved potions and it allowed her to be close to Severus, so she had accepted. A few days later she had moved out of her flat and into Severus’ private rooms, which he had expanded to accommodate them both. Hermione just loved her new roommate.

At the moment, she was working on one of her experimental potions in the lab she shared with Severus. The Healing Potion had been finished ages ago, and now she was working on a few more difficult potions for different uses. Severus had pointed her in this direction and she was now working to become just as good a Potions Mistress as her predecessor had been.

Walking over to put the first ingredients into the waiting cauldron, she saw something silver shimmer near the door towards their private rooms. Curiously walking in that direction, she found it was a little arrow pointing her towards their living room. She entered and gasped, the room was dark except for several silver shimmers similar to the little arrow. Severus was standing in the middle of the room looking at her. She couldn’t see the emotion in his eyes, but she felt attraction and love pulling her towards him.

When she was near enough to finally see his black eyes, he slowly opened the velvet box he had been holding. Hermione didn’t notice it until Severus went down on one knee and held out the ring inside it out to her.

“Ever since I fell in love with you, I always wondered if you would….”




AN: Well everybody, this is it. I hope you liked it, I loved writing it and reading all of your reviews.

I left the ending a bit open, I don't have any plans for a sequel at the moment, but you never know when another plot bunny might show up. When you have any suggestions, let me know.

As to other works, my new story is coming along and I will start posting it soon.

Thanks again to everybody for their reviews, and to Hells for being an excellent beta reader.

Groetjes Miss
(I'm dutch, so this means bye.)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=23255