Worth it in the End by the5thmarauder
Summary: Ron and Hermione have a misunderstanding; will a talk by the lake make for a satisfactory ending? Read and find out! Please read and review!
Categories: Ron/Hermione Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1161 Read: 2289 Published: 06/01/05 Updated: 06/01/05

1. Worth it in the End by the5thmarauder

Worth it in the End by the5thmarauder
Worth it in the end!


Hermione was sitting by the moonlit lake under the tree, which had become her, and her friends favourite. She cringed as she thought of Ron; they had had yet another tremulous row, but this time it was so different, he seemed so, so frustrated. She tried to relax and think what had been so different this time; well, I was writing a letter to Viktor, pouring my heart out yet again about Ron, when Ron asked me who I was writing to and I said “Viktor” then he blew up in my face about how I fancied “Vicky”, he was mad and I was just confused and I snapped back at him “And why would you care!”. Then I stormed out and came down here! She knew what was different this time, it was the look in his eye when he said “Vicky” he looked, well, she didn’t quite know, she couldn’t put her finger on it! Hermione hated arguing with Ron, she had been trying to deny to herself since, well ever since Ron and Harry had fallen out in their fourth year that she liked him; but she simply couldn’t do it. The more she tried the more obvious her feelings became, she loved him, the way he acted, simply the way he was.

She was pretty sure that everyone in the school must know about her “secret” crush on Ron. She knew that was certainly the reason that Lavender and Parvati had never attempted to try anything on with him as they had with every other Gryffindor; they knew she would probably hex them to oblivion. She liked him because of how he acted towards others. He was always friendly, always smiling his lopsided grin. She wondered whether her longing for Ron was so obvious that even he realised how much she loved him. Then a thought occurred ‘Well he obviously doesn’t or he would realise I only write to Viktor for companionship! He wouldn’t fly needlessly off the handle every time I merely mention his name!

She let out a moan of frustration, she couldn’t comprehend why Ron would react like that just simply because she was writing to Viktor to seek some solace. She had always considered herself quite good at reading peoples emotions, especially Ron and Harry’s. This reminded her of what she had said to Ron after explaining how Cho was feeling last Christmas “you are the most insensitive wart I have ever had the misfortune to meet”. She giggled, remembering the affronted look on Ron’s face. Then she began to think, but what if he wasn’t an insensitive wart when we were arguing, what if he was acting like that because he possibly likes me ? No, she mentally scolded herself, just because you cant control your hormones doesn’t mean Ron can’t as well! Then out of exasperation and frustration more than anything else she burst into tears, she knew it was stupid but she didn’t care. She was fed up of being sensible all the time. Then she saw the figure of someone approaching. It didn’t take her long to notice the familiar head of red hair. She eyed him cautiously and attempted to stem her crying.

He knelt next to her as she fiercely wiped her eyes and took in just how bright he looked standing against the dark scenery.

She sniffed, “W-What do y-you want?”

Ron looked at her unblinkingly for a moment. Hermione loved it when he did that because it was like he was reading her, seeing deep inside her and past the façade, which she put up.

“To apologise,” he mumbled. He continued to appraise her and a sudden surge of guilt ran through her. Why had she written to Viktor in front of him, she knew he didn’t particularly like Viktor, she just didn’t know why!

“It’s just, he’s a grouchy git, I don’t think he deserves you and it makes me so mad to think of you wasting any of your time on him. You could, I mean you should, be with someone so much better, someone who can offer you more than a letter once a month!” Ron said this very quickly and so sincerely that his ears began to go pink, always a sign that he was embarrassed. It made the guilt she had felt before intensify, he wanted to protect her, not stop her having friends!

She blurted out “Oh, Ron, I’m so sorry, I didn’t realise you thought that! I just thought you were being a bit stupid and trying to stop me having any friends other than you and Harry. . But honestly he is just a friend, I don’t fancy him,” Hermione exclaimed, “I like someone else any way!” She caught her breath and blushed crimson, mentally kicking herself for being such a stupid loud mouth.

She could visibly see him deflate, and burst of hope burgeoned in her chest, “Oh, you do, who? Is it Harry? Because I could understand if it was. He’s my best mate and even I can see that he would be a better choice than…”He looked like he was steeling him self to say something, when he noticed she was laughing slightly.

“What?” Ron mumbled slightly hotly, not fully comprehending what was so funny.

She stopped and looked at him happily, “Oh, it’s just you can be so funny sometimes. Of course I don’t like Harry like that, he’s just a friend,” she emphasised the last word looking directly at Ron.

“Oh, who is it then? Not Neville!” Ron said with a grin on his face. At this they both laughed, rolling on the floor, mirth shaking their bodies. It wasn’t until their laughter subsided and they were laying very close to one another on the deep green grass, that he gazed at her hopefully and said in a barely audible whisper, “Who?”

She looked at him slightly apprehensive and said shakily, “You.”

It felt like the most dangerous thing she had ever done, more risky than retrieving the Philosopher’s stone, more risky than going to the Department of Mysteries, but she leaned in and gently kissed him she felt a thrill of pleasure and anxiety pulse through her entire body. He kissed her back until eventually she pulled away. She thought it was like any other risk she had ever taken with Ron; worth it in the end!



Thanks to Magical Maeve for beta reading this for me! Please read and review, it makes me happier than a witch under the affects of a Cheering Charm! Thanks.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=23625