The Signature by JayLu
Summary: Sirius and James try to convince Remus to uphold his word on a bet made the night before.
Categories: Humor Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1598 Read: 1924 Published: 11/15/04 Updated: 11/15/04

1. 1 by JayLu

1 by JayLu
"Ugh," Remus groaned rubbing his temples, "I don't know how you got me to do this," he said to Sirius who was grinning broadly at him.

It was a warm spring afternoon at Hogwarts, students were just coming out to enjoy the sun before afternoon classes. James, Sirius and Remus stood alone beside the herbology greenhouses, bags discarded thoughtlessly on the ground. James sniggered to himself as he watched Remus cope with the news he had just received.

"You signed the paper my friend," Sirius answered.

"Yeah," Remus said looking thoughtful, "can I see that paper again?"

"Heh, ever the cynic. Did you hear that James? I don't think he believes us."

"What's new? We could tell him he failed his Potions exam and he wouldn't believe that," James replied indignantly.

"No...I think I would believe that," Remus said, "about that paper?"

"It's real you know, you are only going to make yourself look like a fool if you question it," argued Sirius.

"I don't even remember signing anything!" Remus protested.

"Well you wouldn't would you...I didn't know you were such a party animal," James laughed.

"The very fact you are with holding the evidence suggests that you are lying and I'm not going out there to make a fool of myself without proof," Remus said defiantly.

"Would you look at that, Sirius? I believe we've trained the wolf well...he can smell a trick in the air."

"So it is a trick then? Wonderful! I'm going back to bed," Remus said, ignoring the wolf remark and picking his bag off the ground.

"Not so fast my dear boy," Sirius said happily, Remus shoulders dropped, "we were only having a little laugh, proof James, I believe it is in your possesion?"

"Right you are Padfoot," James said pulling out a piece of parchment, "take a gander, Moony."

Remus bit his lip and reached forward to recieve the rumpled document. He glanced at James and Sirius before unfolding it slowly and reading the verdict.


18 May, 1977

This is to confirm that Remus 'Moony' Lupin agrees to fly around the castle and sing 'Skip to My Lou' in C-minor, and give it his all.

signed
Remus Lupin



"Mighty good signature if you ask me," Sirius replied, taking the document out of Remus hands, "very steady, don't know if I could manage that after as much fire whiskey as you had."

Remus glared, "It's not fair, you can't hold me to something I don't remember signing."

"Excuse me," James said, "But a signature is law and we obey the law..."

"Since when?!" Remus laughed.

"Ehem..." James said feigning offense, "as I was about to say, we obey the law of friendship and that signature is on the same type of parchment that the map was written on..."

"Oh stop it already, you are giving me a headache..." Remus moaned.

"Don't blame Prongs for that..."

Remus rolled his eyes and snatched the parchment out of Sirius hands, "how do I know you didn't forge this?" His question was answered by silence which caused him to look up after a minute. James and Sirius were looking at him as though he had stabbed them in the back. He took a deep breath, "okay...I'm sorry...I just, I can't do this guys, come on..."

"And here I took you for the best of us," Sirius said developing an air of importance, "a man of honour, intergrity, principle, forthrightness, sincerity, rectitude..."

Remus stared, eyebrows raised, "James..."

"Got it," James said replacing his look of disgust with mild amusment, "Shut it, Sirius...you're just using up valuble air..."

Sirius chuckled but stopped, looking at Remus expectantly, "shall I go get you a broom?"

"No thanks..."

"Remus, it's your last chance to make a statement, to make an impression on Hogwarts, we are leaving in a month and you will never be back, might as well be remembered by people."

"I don't want to be remembered! I want to leave and live a happy life that's trouble free..."

"A bit late for that, mate, you're already a werewolf," stated James.

"And because of that I've already made a large impression, one which I doubt will ever dissappear and I have you to thank for that!" he said rounding on Sirius.

Sirius looked shocked, "Oy! I thought we were over that already!"

"This is completely different," James said stepping in, "if you don't do this you will forever be known as the one in the background..."

"I'm not always in the background, if I recall I was the only one getting detention for that prank on Mrs. Norris," said Remus indignantly.

"A memorable moment," Sirius said happily, "but it was between you and Filtch, no one else will remember that."

"Which is what I want..." Remus said slowly.

"And this will put you at the top, forever you will be remembered as the singing legend!" James added with extra flourish.

"I think that's a bit over the top, I don't even know what c minor is."

"It's ahhh...erm...that note, just below b minor and above d minor," Sirius said thoughtfully.

"Thank you, Sirius...I'm sure we'll be seeing you playing in London soon...hopefully not singing," said Remus.

"Don't think I'm a good singer? That's a bit rude, I think I...."

"No...Sirius, " James interjected, "Remus is right...please don't sing."

Sirius frowned, "you are missing out."

They stared at Remus for a while in silence while he stared at the parchment thoughtfully, no doubt trying to think of another way to get out of it. It was nearing noon and the grounds were getting rather hot. Several people had taken rolls and pieces of fruit out of the Great Hall to eat by the lake. The giant squid could be seen lazily drifting up and down the lake, sending ripples across the water. A group of rather rowdy first years were running around between the older students picnicing on the lawn, playing some game involving a rather beat up quaffle.

"I don't know what's so hard about this," Sirius said after a minute of watching the first year's game, "I would do it, if I'd signed an agreement."

Remus sighed, defeated, "yes, but if you or James did it, you'd get a big cheer and everyone would talk about it with reverence for the rest of the year, where as if I do it, they are going to laugh and say 'why did he do that? It was so dumb.' "

"I disagree...we'd catch hell for it," Sirius said.

"It's all about attitude," James said, "You have to do it with pride. You lost a bet and you signed your name and you are proud do keep your word. People can sense that and will give you a nice cheer on your second lap around the castle."

"There was a bet?" Remus said looking horrified.

"Its inconsequential," James said waving it aside, "something about...laping whiskey out of a bowl faster than Sirius...my memory is a bit fuzzy on the subject."

Remus jaw dropped, "what?!" he looked at Sirius, "Did you...do you remember..."

Sirius shrugged, "vaguely...but your name is on the paper so I must have won."

"But...you...I should have won! I'm more dog than you are! It's in my blood!"

"Oh? You want to have another go do you?" Sirius laughed, "you do have your pride, I'm impressed."

"Oh god this is a nightmare..." Remus sighed.

"Come on...get it over with," James said picking up a broom from the ground behind him, "you can use my broom...if you can handle it of course, it's fast."

"Good, then maybe they won't be able to hear me singing," Remus said taking the broom from James.

"That's the spirit!" Sirius said giving him a bracing slap on the shoulder.

"Make sure to project you voice...it's very important," James instructed.

"To whom?" Remus asked mounting the broom.

"Why...to Sirius and I, we will remember this moment forever, when we are old and wrinkly and have little people running around, we will tell the story..."

"ugh...that's disgusting," Sirius said, "I'll be somewhere else...you can go ahead and tell it to a bunch of icky children."

Remus looked green, "you are making it worse," he said hoarsley.

"Go on, we'll cheer for you," James said with an encouraging smile.

Remus took a deep breath and pushed off the ground, speeding toward the castle. James looked at Sirius and motioned for him to follow as he ran off toward the lake. They stood and watched as Remus made his first round around the castle, people slowly looking over to watch and wonder what was going on.

"Who is that?" on fifth year asked.

"A man of his word," James said beaming.

"James!" called a voice from behind, "why is Remus flying around the castle singing...is that skip to my lou?"

"Sure is Lily, my dear," he answered putting an arm around her.

"I...I dont' want to know..." she replied, shaking her head.

"Come on you two, give him a good cheer!" Sirius said lifting his voice in a howl of encouragement, accompanied by a large cheer from James.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2427