Harry Potter & the Year of the Dragon by CraftySlytherin
Summary: They say that true love conquers all. Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Hermione will be able to put this to the test during the new term to come. With a deranged killer on the loose, new friends, a new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher, and Voldemort planning his final attack, it will be a year of trials and tribulations. And what exactly is the Year of the Dragon? You'll just have to read to find out!

CHAPTER 14 IS UP! CHAPTER 15 IS IN QUEUE!


Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 15 Completed: No Word count: 58249 Read: 48247 Published: 06/15/05 Updated: 05/27/06

1. Summertime Surprises by CraftySlytherin

2. Draco Malfoy?! by CraftySlytherin

3. The Killer at Large by CraftySlytherin

4. Happy Birthday, Harry by CraftySlytherin

5. The Letter by CraftySlytherin

6. Hogwarts, Sweet Hogwarts by CraftySlytherin

7. Lurking in the Forest by CraftySlytherin

8. Morgan's Tale by CraftySlytherin

9. Love Bites by CraftySlytherin

10. Order of the Dragon by CraftySlytherin

11. For Whom the Bell Tolls by CraftySlytherin

12. Vanished by CraftySlytherin

13. Happy Hour by CraftySlytherin

14. Have Yourself a Miserable Little Christmas by CraftySlytherin

15. Chaos Portal by CraftySlytherin

Summertime Surprises by CraftySlytherin

A/N: As in my other stories, I don't own any of J.K. Rowling's characters. They're just on another trip through my warped mind! Here it is! The not so long awaited sequel to Caves of Concealment! I hope you all enjoy it as much as CoC. Please remember to review after you read, I like to know what my readers think :)


Once again, summer dawned bright and beautiful. Warm, lazy breezes danced through the grass and flowers, stirring perfumed scents into the air. On a flower-topped hill over looking the Burrow, Ginny Weasley sat in the grass pulling up fuzzy-topped dandelions, blowing them and making wishes. Harry's head lay in her lap, and his emerald-green eyes were closed in sleep. Just as they had last summer, Harry and Hermione were spending their last days of the break at the Burrow.

Ginny smiled, reaching down to run her fingers through Harry's unruly mop of raven-colored hair. She sighed contentedly as the sun shone down, warming her skin and making her drowsy. She looked down at her hand, and the sea-green opal ring seemed to wink at her in the sunlight. Since Harry had slipped it onto her finger last year, Ginny never took it off. It truly did keep her bad dreams away, and after all that had happened on that fateful day in the caves, she was grateful for that. After the dark curse Bellatrix had used on her, Ginny had been in a deep sleep for over a month. Upon waking she had not remembered the incident. After giving her time to recover, Harry had explained everything to her that she had forgotten. Ginny fingered the only other piece of jewelry which she wore at all times; a silver amulet which bore a tree and a raven. It had been this amulet, along with Harry's golden lion amulet half, that had ultimately allowed them to escape from Bellatrix alive.

Ginny frowned a bit, thinking about Bellatrix Lestrange. After she had escaped from the security wing at St. Mungo's, Bellatrix had seemingly disappeared. Members of the Order and Ministry Aurors had been unable to recapture her, and it was assumed she'd made it back to Voldemort. Voldemort and all of his followers had been extremely quiet as of late, which everyone took to mean he was planning something big; something that could ultimately end in the final battle.

Ginny sighed as she remembered that this would be Harry, Ron, and Hermione's last year at Hogwarts. What would she do once they were gone? They were the people she was closest to. Ginny thought about the last part of last year's term, after Bellatrix's attack. It had truly been a golden year, full of happy memories. With Umbridge gone, Harry had been reinstated as Gryffindor's Seeker. Ron had again played as Keeper, and had also been appointed team captain. Since Harry was again the Seeker, Ginny had tried out for an open Chaser position and had gotten it. She, Ron, and Harry had helped lead the team to victory in a particularly nasty match against the Slytherins for the Quidditch Cup. Hermione's screams from the stands had been the most deafening as Harry captured the Snitch for the win. Due to his victory over Bellatrix and their clever research in finding Ginny's cure, Harry, Ron, and Hermione had received awards for special services to the school. Because of their deeds they had also netted quite a few points for Gryffindor, once again securing the House Cup.

Harry and Ginny, and Ron and Hermione's relationships had also grown quite a bit after the incident with Bellatrix. The four often spent long hours talking about what they wanted to do with their futures. It had been discussed many times that marriage was most definitely what lie ahead for both couples. Along with strengthening her relationship with Harry, Ginny had grown closer to Ron and Hermione. Their devotion to finding a cure for her deep sleep had been nothing short of mind-blowing.

Ginny was pulled out of her reverie by the appearance of Ron and Hermione, who were coming at her full speed.

"Our letters from Hogwarts are here, Ginny! Hermione and I made Head Girl and Head Boy!"

"That's great," Ginny said quietly, not wanting to wake Harry. He seemed to be sleeping peacefully for once. Lately he'd been having nightmares about the incident in the caves, and his role in the final showdown against Voldemort. During one of their long talks last year, Harry had told Ron, Hermione, and Ginny about the prophecy. He was the only one who could defeat Voldemort in the end; a prospect which gave Ginny the shivers everytime she thought about it. Harry's nightmares had gotten bad enough that, quite frequently, Ginny would be awakened by his cries of fear. Whenever it happened, Ginny would creep down the hall to where Harry was sleeping. She would slide into bed next to his thrashing body, and use an Engorgement charm on her Sweet Dreams ring to make the band larger. Keeping the ring on her own finger, she would slip the enlarged band over one of Harry's fingers. The two would then sleep peacefully, fingers bound by Ginny's ring.

Hermione, who was also frequently awakened by Harry's nightmares, had made an arrangement with Ginny. On the nights that Ginny went to sleep with Harry, she would tell Hermione before leaving. Hermione would rise early enough that she could wake Ginny and get her back to her own bed before anyone else woke up. Ginny's mum would have kittens if she ever caught Ginny sleeping with Harry!

"Hello, Ginny.....Earth to Ginny!" Ron snapped his fingers in front of Ginny's face.

Ginny shook her head, coming back to the present. "Sorry, Ron, I was just thinking about Harry's nightmares. Congratulations you two."

Ron handed Ginny her letter and she quickly tore it open. Ginny had been made Prefect last year, much to the horror of Fred and George. Most of the books on Ginny's list seemed quite normal, except for the highly advanced books listed for Defense Against the Dark Arts. No doubt the classes would be particularly hard this year, trying to prepare students against attacks by Voldemort and his Death Eaters.

"Wow, I wonder who our teacher will be for Defense Against the Dark Arts this year. These books are quite advanced."

Ron, looking over his list of books, agreed. "I hope they get someone brilliant. Last year's classes were a fiasco."

Dumbledore had been unable to secure anyone for that particular teaching position last year. Classes had consisted of a string of substitutes. Any professor who had a free period doubled as a Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. Hogwarts students had received Dark Arts lessons from Professor Snape, Professor McGonagall, Professor Flitwick, Professor Sprout, and even a few lessons from Professor Dumbledore. In addition to professors, there was the occasional lesson taught by Order members; Lupin, Tonks, and Mad-Eye Moody mostly.

In Ginny's lap, Harry began to stir. Blinking his eyes against the sunlight he asked, "What's going on?"

"Ron and Hermione have just brought up our Hogwarts letters. They made Head Boy and Head Girl."

Harry pushed himself up to a sitting position and stretched. "Congratulations you two. Ron, I'd hate to be in your shoes when Fred and George find out," Harry said smiling knowingly, as he ripped open his letter and began to read.

"Don't remind me. Hey, Harry, what do you make of those booklists?"

"Looks like we may have a decent Defense professor, judging by these books."

"Do you all want to take a stroll through the woods by the pond?" asked Hermione. "We could put our heads together and make guesses as to who the new professor could be."

"Sounds good to me," answered Ron. "Besides, if I know mum she'll want us out of the house for a while. When Hermione and I left, I heard her bustling around the kitchen saying something about a celebration feast."

"Well, let's humor her," Harry said, getting to his feet and then helping Ginny up. "Let's go for that walk in the woods."

The foursome made their way past the house, where much banging and clanging could be heard. "Sounds like she's really into it," Hermione said, as they crossed the yard and headed for the pond. Once they were in the solitude of the quiet forest she asked, "So does anyone have any guesses?"

Ron shrugged. "Maybe they'll have the real Mad-Eye Moody come teach. He certainly knows enough about the Dark Arts."

"Or maybe Tonks," Ginny suggested. "She'd make a brilliant professor."

Harry walked quietly for a moment before answering. "It's really hard to say exactly who it could be. I think with all that's going on in our world, it'll probably be a member of the Order. Any of them would know plenty to teach us properly."

"Think you'll continue the DA this year, Harry?" asked Ron.

Harry nodded. "Yeah, probably. Dumbledore gave me the okay at the end of last term. We could even put out a sign-up sheet for new members."

"It will certainly be nice to not have to hide our meetings," Hermione observed. The stillness of the woods was suddenly disturbed by an earsplitting cry for help.

"Somebody help poor Zeppie! Zeppie is about to be dog food!" Hermione pulled out her wand, and the foursome ran in the direction of the cries for help.

"Please, please save Zeppie!"

They ran through a dense thicket and into a clearing. In a large elm tree hanging from a low branch, was a house-elf. A large grey dog jumped against the trunk of the large tree, snapping ferociously at the house-elf's dangling feet. It looked as though the dog was about to get his meal, as the house-elf's fingers began to slip.

"Incendio!" yelled Hermione, springing into action. A ball of flame burst from her wand, shooting forward to make contact with the dog's hindquarters. The dog abandoned his quest for dinner, and ran off into the woods yelping in pain. The house-elf's fingers finally gave, and he landed in a heap at the base of the tree. Hermione and the others ran over to him.

"Oh! Are you okay?" Hermione asked, helping the house-elf to his feet and dusting him off.

"Yes, Zeppie is fine now thanks to you miss-"

"My name's Hermione Granger. This is Ron Weasley, Ginny Weasley, and Harry Potter."

Zeppie bowed to each of them in turn, stopping to face Harry. "Of course Zeppie is knowing you. Every house-elf knows of Harry Potter, sir." Zeppie turned back to Hermione, eyes full of adoration. "Missy Hermy, you be saving Zeppie's life."

"Well of course, I wouldn't have wanted to see you get eaten. How did you come to be here, Zeppie?"

"Zeppie was banished from his Wizarding family, Missy Hermy. They is telling Zeppie they don't want him anymore. Tried to hit Zeppie to make him leave, they did. Zeppie apparated to anywhere to get away. Zeppie has been beaten many times, but isn't wanting hit no more. So, Zeppie is ending up here."

"Poor Zeppie!" said Ginny softly. "I bet they would offer you a job at Hogwarts, and they won't beat you there."

"Oh no, Miss Hermy saved Zeppie's life! Zeppie will not be leaving her and will stay and be Missy Hermy's house-elf." Harry, Ron, and Ginny all knew Hermione's position on keeping house-elves as servants, and watched intently to see how she would handle it.

"Oh no, Zeppie, you should be free. And if you go to Hogwarts you'll be given clothes and pay."

Zeppie's face filled with horror. "Oh no, Miss Hermy, don't make Zeppie leave! Zeppie has no where else to go if Missy Hermy won't take him. Zeppie promises to be a good house-elf!" Zeppie's rag-clad form fell to the ground at Hermione's feet. "Oh please, Missy Hermy! Zeppie begs of you!"

Hermione waged a silent battle over what to do. On one hand, she strongly disapproved of anyone keeping house-elves as servants. But on the other hand, Hermione wanted to do whatever she could to avoid distressing Zeppie even more.

"All right Zeppie, I'll let you come with me, but there are conditions."

"Zeppie will do anything Missy Hermy wants! Missy Hermy is Zeppie's hero!"

"First off, you'll let me make you some new clothes. What you're wearing is horrid. Secondly, you'll take pay for anything you do for me or my friends. I won't call myself your master, but you can be my helper."

"Does Zeppie really have to take clothes and pay?" he asked sadly.

"Yes, Zeppie, it's the only way I'll agree."

"If it means going with Missy Hermy, then Zeppie will say yes."

"All right then, let's get you back to the Burrow so we can get you cleaned up and I can start on your clothes."

As they headed back towards the pond, Ron took Hermione's hand. "Wow 'Mione, I'm impressed. I never thought I'd see you taking on a house-elf. What about S.P.E.W.?"

"Honestly Ronald, I'm not going against any of my principles in doing this. I won't be his master and he DID agree to clothes and pay. Now if I could only convince all of the other house-elves-"

"That's my 'Mione, freeing the world one house-elf at a time!"

Finally they made it back to the Burrow and, upon entering, were immediately confronted by Mrs. Weasley.

"What are you doing in here? I'm not done with the celebration for Ron and Hermione making Head Boy and Head Girl yet," she said. Her eyes then fell on Zeppie. "All right, what have you all been up to and where did this house-elf come from?"

"Mum, a wild dog was trying to eat him and Hermione saved him. His name is Zeppie, and his Wizarding family banished him, so Hermione's going to look after him."

"Missy Hermy is Zeppie's new master. Zeppie will be happy to help out, if Missy Hermy says so." Zeppie looked up at Hermione questioningly.

"Go ahead, Zeppie, this is Mrs. Weasley. You can help her with dinner while I work on your clothes and decide on your pay. And I'm not your master, but you can call me your friend."

"All right you four, upstairs until dinner is done," Mrs. Weasley said. "You come with me, you poor dear. You can have a cup of tea and then help with dinner if you like." Zeppie nodded and followed Mrs. Weasley into the kitchen.

"Let's go up to Ron's room and you three can study while I make Zeppie's clothes."

Hermione, Ron, Harry, and Ginny went up the stairs to Fred and George's old room. Since they were no longer living at home, Ron had moved in to it. The room simply screamed 'Chudley Cannons fan lives here'. The walls were covered with their posters, and the bed on which Ron slept boasted a Chudley Cannons bed set. Harry and Ginny each grabbed a book and settled on the extra bed, leaning against each other back to back. Ron flopped on to his bed, grabbing a book of Quidditch plays he had devised for the upcoming season. Hermione sat next to him, her knitting needles clacking together as she made an outfit for Zeppie out of soft, dark-green wool. By the time Zeppie arrived to announce dinner, she was done.

"Missy Hermy and friends, dinner is done. Where can Zeppie sleep? It is being a long day."

"I'll fix you a bed in Ginny's room, but first, take these," Hermione said, handing Zeppie the small outfit.

Zeppie looked at the tiny green jumper and knit pants. "Oh, Missy Hermy, Zeppie is not deserving clothes this nice!"

"Don't be silly, Zeppie, of course you do. Now come on and we'll get you settled in." After making Zeppie a pallet in Ginny's floor, Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny made their way downstairs.

The kitchen table was laden down with food of all types. There was beef stew, sausages, roast potatoes, fresh bread, and all types of puddings, just to name a few. Standing in the kitchen were Mr. Weasley and Mrs. Weasley, Fred and George, and Charlie and Bill. Mrs. Weasley had summoned them all for the celebration. A large banner with flashing letters which read, 'Congratulations Ron and Hermione' hung from the ceiling. There was a small pile of presents on the sideboard. Mrs. Weasley, seeing Ron's questioning look said, "They're just a few surprises for making Head Boy and Head Girl, dear. Now let's all tuck in!"

Everyone ate until they were ready to burst. Once the plates had been cleared away, Mr. Weasley brought the presents over. There were two for Hermione and two for Ron.

Hermione's first present was from her parents. It was a beautiful gold heart-shaped locket which, when opened, played the song her mum had sung to her when she was a baby. Her second gift was from the Weasleys. They had given her a small, leather-bound journal, and a bright blue fwooper feather quill.

"Oh, they're beautiful! Thank you so much," Hermione said, hugging them each in turn.

While Hermione was hugging his parents, Ron opened his first present. His mum and dad had given him a new Chudley Cannons shirt.

"This is wicked!" he said, pulling the shirt over his head. Bill laid his last present on the table. It was suspiciously long.

"This is from Fred, George, Charlie, and myself...we all chipped in." Ron eagerly tore off the wrappings to reveal.......a Firebolt!

Ron's eyes grew wide. "But, how did you afford it?"

Fred and George explained it to him. "Well, business has been really good at the joke shop."

"And even though we are deeply disappointed that you're Head Boy-"

"DEEPLY disappointed-"

"We didn't want to see you embarrass yourself on the Quidditch pitch this year, seeing as how you're captain."

Harry noticed Ginny's eyes taking in every inch of Ron's new Firebolt. "Ron......do you think I could have a go on it tomorrow?" she asked eagerly.

"Sure, Ginny, no problem."

Mrs. Weasley shook her head, obviously upset that her boys had spent so much on a gift. "I suppose it will do no good to get after you four for spending so much on a broom. And sorry, Ginny, but we're planning on going to Diagon Alley tomorrow to shop for the new term. Your broom ride will have to wait until another day. Now off to bed with you."

The foursome trudged up the stairs. After quick but thorough kisses, the boys headed to Ron's room and the girls headed to Ginny's. Due to their full stomachs and exciting day, they were all asleep in no time.

Later that night, Ginny was awakened by the sounds of a conversation going on downstairs. Crawling out of bed she went to wake up Hermione.

"Hermione.......Hermione wake up," she whispered loudly.

"Wha....what is it, Ginny? Is it Harry again?"

"No, someone's downstairs talking, but it's the middle of the night. Come on."

Ginny and Hermione tiptoed quietly to the head of the stairs and peered down. They could see Mr. and Mrs. Weasley talking to someone, but couldn't see the other person or persons. The adults talked in hushed tones, so Hermione and Ginny only caught a few bits of the conversation here and there.

"-finally just snapped-"

"-found her in a pool of blood-"

"-tried to get him too-"

"-needs a safe place-"

They could see Mrs. Weasley nod her head, and motion for whoever was there to come farther into the house. Professor Snape and Mad-Eye Moody stepped into view. In between them they supported the motionless body.......of Draco Malfoy!


A/N: So that's the first chapter of the sequel. I hope I didn't disappoint! Please review and tell me what you thought!

Draco Malfoy?! by CraftySlytherin

A/N: Thanks to all of my lovely reviewers who are too numerous to name, you all know who you are. I don't own any of these characters, except for Zeppie. They all belong to J.K. Rowling and are all just on one of my mind trips.


Ginny had to put her hands over her mouth to stifle a gasp. What was Draco Malfoy the conceited ferret doing here in her house? Hermione nudged Ginny and pointed towards their room, as the group downstairs headed closer to their location. Quickly they tiptoed back to Ginny's room, softly shutting the door. Both girls put an ear against the door.

"What I wouldn't give for a pair of Fred and George's Extendable Ears right now," Ginny thought, as they heard the group walking up the creaky steps.

"Are you sure it's all right for him to stay, Molly?"

"Yes of course, Moody........the poor dear. But when he comes to won't he try to escape? He doesn't exactly harbor fond feelings towards my family."

"If it is acceptable, I will stay with him tonight. I may not be family, but I'm certain he trusts me."

"Of course, Severus, if you think it best. There are two beds up in Ron's old room. We'll put you two up there for the night. You can make the decision as to how long you'll stay once he's awakened. Draco can stay for as long as is necessary. Good old Dumbledore put up extra protections around the Burrow since Harry's staying for the rest of the summer," Mr. Weasley said.

"I'm sure Mr. Malfoy will be thrilled to no end to find out that Potter is here as well," Snape said sarcastically.

"We'll take him to get his school things with our lot tomorrow, if he'll be going this year. We'll need a group of Order members to serve as guards."

"Of course he'll be going. There's no place safer for him right now than Hogwarts."

"I'll arrange the guard," Moody said. "We'll be by in the morning."

"Mrs. Weasley.....if you please."

"Oh yes, of course, Severus, right this way."

Hermione and Ginny quickly scurried over to Ginny's bed, hopping onto it.

"What in the name of Merlin is Draco sodding Malfoy doing in my house?" Ginny whispered to Hermione.

"I don't know, but it doesn't sound good. I wonder who they found in a pool of blood."

"Maybe we can find out more tomorrow. Mum will have to give us some kind of explanation as to why he's here. I mean, it's certainly not because he's bosom chums with Ron and came to spend time over the break with him."

"No, Ginny, you're right. As a matter of fact, Ron and Harry will both probably be quite mad to see Malfoy here. We'd better try to get some sleep. We'll need our rest in case we have to break up any fist fights tomorrow."

"All right, Hermione. Night." The girls slept fitfully for the rest of the night, questions swarming through their heads. What was Draco Malfoy doing at the Burrow? And what did all the garbled bits of conversation they'd heard mean? For now they could only wonder.

The next morning, Ginny and Hermione rose early and found their clothes already laid out on their beds.

"I'm going to have to have a talk with Zeppie," Hermione said, pulling on her clothes.

"Do you think we should wake up the boys so they'll be able to eat while they have an appetite? I'm pretty sure they won't be hungry once they find out about Malfoy."

"Yes, Ginny, I think that's a great idea. Let's go." Ginny and Hermione quietly made their way down the corridor to Ron's room. They pushed open the door and walked in. Ginny made her way over to Harry's bed. Reaching down she traced her finger along his cheek.

"Wake up, Harry, come and have breakfast with me."

Harry slowly opened his eyes, a big grin spreading over his face. "Sounds good to me, love. I need my energy for all of that shopping we have to do today. I've got some very important things to look for," he said with a sly smile.

Over by Ron's bed, Hermione uselessly tried shaking him awake. "Ron....Ron wake up! We're going down to breakfast." After about three minutes of shaking, Ron grabbed Hermione around the waist and flipped her over onto his bed. Pinning down both of her hands with one of his and sitting astride her, Ron began to tickle Hermione with his free hand.

"This is what you get for waking a fellow up while he's sleeping so nicely!"

"Ron! Ron, stop!" Hermione said between bouts of laughter. She squirmed and bucked beneath him.

"Ron, stop it," Ginny said, "we need you and Harry to come down to breakfast so we can talk to you."

"I don't know.....I'm rather enjoying this," Ron teased. "But since you mentioned breakfast, I'll stop." Ron ceased his tickling of Hermione, who shoved him onto the floor.

"Ouch, 'Mione, you sure are strong," Ron said, getting up from the floor and rubbing his posterior.

"Well you deserved it! Now come on, let's go eat." The foursome made their way down the stairs and into the kitchen. The table was covered in food; bacon, sausage, pancakes, fried potatoes, and a frosty pitcher of pumpkin juice. Mrs. Weasley turned when they entered, a grave look on her face.

"Mrs. Weasley, have you seen Zeppie this morning?" Hermione inquired. "I need to have a talk with him."

"Yes, Hermione dear, Zeppie insisted on going out and taking care of the animals. I couldn't have stopped him if I had wanted to. But right now you lot had better tuck in. We'll be leaving for Diagon Alley soon, and I have something to tell you." Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny sat and made themselves plates as Mrs. Weasley continued.

"This is going to be a bit of a shock. We received an unexpected visitor late last night." Hermione and Ginny exchanged knowing looks. "The poor dear needed someplace safe to stay....he's really in quite a bit of danger. I can't imagine what last night must have been like for him."

"Who is he, Mum?" Ron asked, shoving a sausage into his mouth.

"Well as I said, it will be a bit of a shock. But please keep in mind that he went through a very traumatic experience last night. Our guest is.....Draco Malfoy."

"Not MALFOY!" Ron protested loudly. He slammed his fists on the table.

"Why is that ferret here?" asked Harry, setting down his glass of pumpkin juice a little too hard. His glass cracked and pumpkin juice began to run in little rivers on the table. Mrs. Weasley grabbed a rag and began mopping it up. She looked to Hermione and Ginny for help, hoping they might have a calming effect on the boys. Hermione and Ginny realized that any misgivings they had of Malfoy's presence were nothing compared to Harry and Ron's anger.

Ginny placed her hand on top of Harry's. "Harry love, please don't get so angry. I'm sure if Mum let him stay, it's for a good reason."

Hermione got up and stood behind Ron, wrapping her arms around him and resting her chin on his shoulder. "And Ron, if something terrible really did happen to him, he probably won't be worried about his usual throwing insults our way. Give your Mum a chance."

"As long as he leaves us alone, we'll leave him alone," Harry said with effort.

"All right," Ron agreed, "but if he so much as utters the word mudblood, I'll give him the business end of my fist again."

Hermione hugged Ron tightly and Ginny squeezed Harry's hand. Mrs. Weasley smiled. "There's my good boys, I knew you could be mature about this."

"Has the guard arrived yet?" came a voice from behind them. The foursome turned to see Professor Snape on the stairs. Ron dropped the bacon he'd just picked up into his pumpkin juice.

Molly scurried around the table. "Not yet, Severus, but they'll be here any minute. Would you or Draco care for any breakfast?"

"No, Mr. Malfoy isn't hungry, but that is to be expected. I find my appetite is also gone, maybe due to the sickening sweetness in here," Professor Snape said, eyeing both couples. "Sentiment turns my stomach."

Several loud pops outside the front door announced the arrival of the guard. Mrs. Weasley opened the door to let in Remus Lupin, Tonks, Mad-Eye Moody, and Kingsley Shacklebolt.

"Wotcher, Molly. Are we ready to go?"

"Yes, Tonks dear, as soon as Severus fetches Draco. Was there any sign of.....him last night?"

"No, nothing," replied Remus, as Snape made his way back upstairs. "We've still got search parties out."

"Well, Arthur is going to meet us at the Leaky Cauldron," Mrs. Weasley explained, as Snape returned with a very subdued Draco. Mrs. Weasley looked at Draco with concern and apprehension.

"If he speaks at all today, it probably won't make sense," Snape explained. "Due to the state he was in when I went upstairs, I had to give him a Calming draught."

"The bacon is pretty," Draco said in a slightly slurred voice. Ron and Harry had to try hard to conceal their amusement.

Snape smirked. "You see what I mean?"

"Right then, since we're all here, let's get a move on," Kingsley said, pulling out an empty butterbeer bottle. Everyone gathered round, Draco being led by Snape, and they touched the Portkey. Their surroundings became a blur, and with the familiar pull behind their navels, the group was gone. Moments later they arrived at the Leaky Cauldron to be greeted by Arthur Weasley.

"Right you lot, we're going to split up into smaller groups. We'll be less of a spectacle that way," he explained.

"I will stay with Mr. Malfoy," Snape offered with a scowl, as Draco twirled around looking down at his robes.

"Does this outfit make me look fat?" he asked Ron and Harry with concern.

"No, no it doesn't," Harry replied with badly concealed amusement, as Ron tried unsuccessfully to suppress his laughter.

"I'll go with you, Severus," offered Moody.

"Molly, Tonks, and myself will take these two laughing boys," said Remus.

"Guess you girls are stuck with us," Arthur said, indicating Kingsley and himself. "Let's all try to meet back here at two." After a quick stop at Gringott's, where Harry grabbed a larger amount of money than usual, the three groups split up.


Ginny, Hermione, Kingsley, and Mr. Weasley finished up their school shopping by noon.

"Would you girls like to go for an ice cream?" Mr. Weasley asked.

"Dad, can I get Harry a birthday present first?" Ginny pleaded.

"All right, where would you like to go?" Ginny scanned the street finally noticing a small, corner shop called Orin's Odds and Ends.

"Let's try there first, I've never seen that shop before." They made their way across the street and entered the little shop.

Orin's Odds and Ends was larger inside than it looked. The air in the shop smelled of old things, kind of dusty, but there was an odd perfumed scent underneath the old smell. Tall shelves lined the walls, and four large display cases took up the center of the shop. Ginny began scanning the shelves, which were covered in items of all sorts. There were cauldrons, goblets, jewelry, bottles of potions.....items to numerous to mention.

After looking around the shop for about twenty minutes, Ginny was about to give up. As she approached Mr. Weasley to tell him they could go, something in the very corner of the back display case caught her eye. Ginny rushed over and gasped excitedly when she saw what it was.

"This! Oh Dad, I have to get this for Harry!" she said pointing excitedly. The shopkeeper behind the case reached in, pulled out the item, and handed it to Ginny. After inspecting it, she was even more sure it had to be Harry's.

"I don't know, Ginny," Mr. Weasley said, "that looks like it's quite expensive."

"Nonsense sir, that item is actually seventy-five percent off. We've had it for so long and just want to see someone get some use out of it." The shopkeeper rattled off the price and Arthur, who was quite surprised at how cheap it was, pulled out the money and paid for it. After carefully wrapping Harry's gift, the shopkeeper handed it to Ginny.

"Ginny, that is exatly the perfect present for Harry," Hermione said, as she tucked away the item she had bought for Ron. Their group headed out of the shop.


About the time Ginny and Hermione were entering Orin's Odds and Ends, Harry and Ron were completing their school shopping.

"Er......Moony? I have a few gifts I need to buy," Harry said. Harry intended to buy Head Boy and Head Girl gifts for Ron and Hermione. He also had a few things in mind for Ginny.

"Sure thing, Harry, where to?"

"First off, Quality Quidditch Supplies." While there, Ron was so busy looking at new Chudley Cannons gear, that Harry had no trouble buying a broom servicing kit for Ron's new Firebolt without Ron seeing. Mrs. Weasley had waited outside the shop, which made Harry's purchase for Ginny easier to make.

After those purchases, Harry said he needed to go to the Magical Menagerie. First Harry bought Hermione a cat brush for Crookshanks that, when used on him would magically repel fleas. He then scanned the shop for Ginny's other present. In a box by the front counter, Harry found a puppy. He looked exactly like a Jack Russell terrier, except for his forked tail.

"That's a crup," the shopkeeper said, approaching Harry. "They make great pets and are very loyal to wizards."

Harry reached into the box and pulled out the crup, which began to lick his hands excitedly. "I think you'll do the trick," Harry said, tucking the wriggling crup in his arms. "What do you think, Mrs. Weasley, will Ginny like him?"

"How could she not like him?" Mrs. Weasley crooned, scratching the crup behind his ears. "I think she'll adore him." Mrs. Weasley was too taken by the puppy's cuteness to scold Harry for spending money unnecessarily. Harry paid for the crup and all of the accessories needed for his care, and they left the shop.


The group which consisted of Draco, Snape, and Moody was taking a considerably longer time getting done. This was due mainly to Draco's state from the Calming draught. Snape and Moody had to keep an especially close eye on Draco, as he kept trying to wander off.

"How many shops do we have left, Severus?" Moody asked with exasperation, as he grabbed Draco yet again.

"I believe Flourish and Blotts is our last stop," Snape answered.

"Thank Merlin!" Moody growled, and steered Draco into the shop. As Snape and Moody gathered his books, Draco pawed through a bin of books on sale. Fishing one out, he took a cover in each hand and began flapping them open and closed. A thin girl with long, blond hair watched him with interest, moving closer.

"Looks like a bird," Draco said.

"Yes, I think so too," said the girl in a soft voice. Draco turned to look at her and smiled.

"Your hair looks like yellow gold," he said.

The girl smiled dreamily. "Why thank you, Draco."

Draco was confused. "You know my name? If you know mine, I must know yours. It's-"

"Luna. Luna Lovegood."

Draco smiled. "Will you be my friend, Luna Lovegood?"

"Certainly, Draco," Luna said airily, the dreamy smile creeping back upon her face.

"Come along, Mr. Malfoy," Snape said, taking Draco by the shoulder. "It's time to go."

"Goodbye Draco, my friend," Luna said waving. Draco broke free of Snape's grasp and ran to her. He grabbed her hand and kissed the back of it quickly.

"Goodbye Luna, my friend." Snape regained his hold on Draco, and he and Moody steered him out of the shop.


Back at the Leaky Cauldron, the groups had rejoined and were eating a late lunch before heading back to the Burrow.

"Where are Dad and Harry?" Ginny asked, noticing their absence.

"They had one last bit of business. They'll be along shortly," Mrs. Weasley explained.

Before leaving the Magical Menagerie, the shopkeeper had informed them that they would need a license for the crup. While being loyal to wizards, crups were highly suspicious of Muggles and Squibs and could become fierce to them. A license was therefore required stating that the crup's owner could handle the animal, even in Muggle areas. Mr. Weasley was positive that Ginny could handle the crup, and seeing as how she was never in many Muggle areas, he was off with Harry to get the license. The license had to be obtained from the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.

Finally, Harry and Mr. Weasley returned. Ginny noticed the small, wiggling mass in Harry's arms and ran over.

"Oooooo, Harry! What is he?" she asked, reaching out to pat him.

"He's a crup, Gin. They're very loyal and protective towards their owners."

"So who's his owner?" Ginny asked, as the crup began to yip excitedly and lick her hands.

"You're his owner, love," Harry said, placing him in Ginny's arms.

"Oh, Harry, do you really mean it? You bought him for me?"

Harry nodded. "What will you call him, Gin?"

Ginny kissed Harry's cheek in thanks. "I don't know......what do you think?"


A/N: The information used in this chapter on crups came from Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them. A reminder: I know Draco is not himself in this chapter, but please keep in mind he's under the influence of Snape's Calming draught throughout their whole Diagon Alley experience. Now, I'm taking a page from pandafan81's book. When you leave a review, tell me what you think the name of Ginny's new crup should be!! Be creative :)

The Killer at Large by CraftySlytherin

A/N: All of these characters, except for Zeppie the house-elf, belong to J.K. Rowling. I am merely setting up a new stage for them to act upon. Thank you to everyone who gave me suggestions for Ginny's new pet. There were many good ideas and it was a hard choice, but I finally went with the one I thought would be very fitting. Thank you to mrsgeorgeweasley and padfoot36212 for suggesting it, and I hope you all agree that it is the perfect name. Thanks!!!!


"Gin," Harry said wistfully, "maybe you could call him....Padfoot."

"Padfoot is perfect. It's exactly what his name should be," Ginny said understandingly, nuzzling her new pet. "But, Harry, you shouldn't have bought me anything. It's not my birthday." Ginny looked at Harry sternly, waiting for an explanation.

"Well, Gin love, we weren't together last year when you made Prefect. He's a late 'Congratulations on making Prefect' gift."

"All right, Potter, but he's so great that you can call him an early birthday present too. I don't want to see any other presents from you on my birthday, got it?"

Harry's mind worked quickly as he thought of the other gift he'd bought for Ginny. "Don't worry, Gin, I promise that you won't 'see' any birthday presents from me." Padfoot began to squirm and yip excitedly at the smell and sight of food. Ginny walked to the table where everyone else sat eating and grabbed a sausage, feeding it to her hungry little pet. Padfoot swallowed it in one gulp, happily wagging his forked tail.

"Okay everyone, it's time to go. It's been a long day," Mr. Weasley said getting up. Everyone gathered around the Portkey and touched it, again feeling that pull behind the navel as they disappeared from the Leaky Cauldron and reappeared at the Burrow.

"Well, Arthur and Molly, we'll be leaving now that you're all back home safely. We'll see you at the Order meeting next week," Lupin said. "Don't forget, it's a VERY important meeting."

"Don't worry, Remus dear, we won't forget," Mrs. Weasley assured him. In a series of loud pops, Lupin, Moody, Tonks, and Shacklebolt Disapperated.

Snape eyed Draco, who was bent over picking a bouquet of buttercups in the yard. Skipping over, Draco handed the flowers to Mrs. Weasley. "Thanks so much for letting me stay in your home," he said with a smile.

"You're perfectly welcome, dear. Why don't you run along to your room and get some rest." Draco nodded and headed for the house, stopping by Ginny and Hermione.

"Will one of you come read me a story?" he asked of them. Neither Ginny or Hermione knew quite how to respond. Here was Draco Malfoy their enemy, the boy who tormented them every chance he got....asking them to read him a bedtime story. From behind Draco, Mrs. Weasley nodded emphatically, indicating that they should go along with it.

Ginny sat Padfoot down, and he immediately began to explore his new home. "Well.....er, sure," Ginny stammered. Draco flashed them a smile and trotted off into the house. As Hermione and Ginny moved to follow him, they found their way blocked by Ron.

"No, Hermione, I won't let you go."

"Ron, if you're so worried then come with us."

Harry looked at Ron. "She's right, what can he do if we're there?"

"All right, we'll go with you. But he'd better not try anything or he'll have to deal with me," Ron threatened, clenching his hands into fists. "He may be a bit loopy right now, but underneath it all he's still the same old Malfoy." Ron possessively put an arm around Hermione and the four entered the house. Their trip upstairs was slightly delayed as they entered.

The inside of the Burrow was immaculate. Mrs. Weasley had always kept a religiously clean house, but this went even beyond her normal standards. There was not one speck of dust to be found, and everything gleamed like it was brand new.

"Zeppie," Hermione said, shaking her head. "I knew I shouldn't have left without talking to him first."

"Wow!" Ron exclaimed, turning around in amazement. "This is the cleanest I've ever seen this place! Zeppie sure knows what he's doing! Mum will be beside herself....she won't have anything to clean."

"Zeppie! Zeppie, where are you?" Hermione yelled. Zeppie came in from the family room, still wearing his old rags.

"Yes, Missy Hermy? Is you needing Zeppie for something?"

"Zeppie, first off....why are you still in those rags? I spent an entire afternoon making you new clothes. And why did you do all of this cleaning?"

"Well, Missy Hermy, Zeppie is having nothing to do, so Zeppie tidied up a bit. And Zeppie didn't want to ruin his beautifull clothes that Missy Hermy gave him." Zeppie looked down at his feet as he said this. He looked rather like a child being scolded for getting caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"Is Missy Hermy mad at Zeppie?"

"No, Zeppie, of course not, but I DO want you to put on your new clothes. And you don't have to spend all of your time cleaning. There's so many other things that you could do. For instance, if you like, I can teach you how to knit. I think you'll find it quite enjoyable, and it is kind of like work. You can even take some of the money I pay you and buy some nice wool to make more clothes with."

"Missy Hermy is too kind to Zeppie. Zeppie will do anything Missy Hermy asks of him."

"All right, Zeppie, now will you go change clothes?" Zeppie nodded and ran up the stairs.

"Well, let's go humor Draco," Hermione suggested. She and the other three went upstairs.


Outside Molly and Arthur were talking to Snape, as he was preparing to leave.

"Severus, are you quite sure he'll be all right?"

"I have no way of knowing," Snape said with indifference. "The Calming draught should be wearing off any time. I will leave behind extra in case you find it necessary to sedate him again. When he comes out of it, he could react many different ways. He may be very angry, very quiet, very sad, or hysterical. Do you have the means to control him no matter what?"

"Don't be silly, Severus, of course I do. After having seven children I can handle-"

Mrs. Weasley was cut off by a piercing scream which originated from the attic.


Ron was covering his ears with his hands. "Why is he doing that?" he asked, indicating the screaming Draco. Draco's screams suddenly stopped, and his face took on a look of absolute terror.

"Blood! So much blood; it's everywhere! Why did he do this to you? He.....he's murdered you! What will I do now? Where will I go?" Tears began to slowly trickle down his face.

"What should we do?" asked Ron, as Draco again began his babbling to no one in particular.

"Mum...why won't you move? Why can't I get to you? We have to get out of here before he comes back. Please get up and let me out, Mum, PLEASE!" Draco quickly looked around as if he heard a noise.

"He's here! Hurry, Mum, get up and let me out! He's coming for us.....HURRY!"

"Ron, go get your parents and Professor Snape!"

"No need, Miss Granger. We're right here," Snape said as he and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley entered. Snape pulled a vial from his robes and strode over to Draco, forcing him to drink it. Within minutes, Draco was fast asleep.

"I've just given him a sleeping potion, so he should rest through the night. I will leave some of this behind as well, in case you have need for it. However, I must be going. If you find handling him to be too bothersome, contact someone from the Order and different arrangements will be made. Although from what I hear, he's now your responsibility."

Mrs. Weasley took the vials that Snape held out to her. "Thank you, Severus, we'll manage. I've dealt with difficult boys before."

Snape sneered. "Yes, I'm sure you have," he said, glancing over at Ron. Without another word he strode from the room. A loud pop a moment later assured them that he was gone. Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny all stood quietly still trying to process all Draco had said.

"How much did you hear?" asked Mr. Weasley.

Ginny was the first to be able to recover enough to answer. "Dad....he was talking about blood and someone being murdered. It sounded like he was talking about his Mum."

Mr. and Mrs. Weasley exchanged concerned glances. "Well I guess it can't be put off any longer," Mrs. Weasley said. She walked over to make sure Draco was sleeping soundly. "You four come downstairs. I'll fix you some tea and sandwiches and we'll tell you about it."

Once they had made it downstairs, and everyone was sitting at the table with a steaming cup of tea and a sandwich, Mrs. Weasley continued.

"Now you all know that Lucius Malfoy, along with many other known Death Eaters, has been in Azkaban. A few days before Draco was brought here, Lucius had managed to escape." She paused and took a sip of her tea.

"Apparently Lucius was in Azkaban long enough to snap. He had failed several mental evaluations prior to escaping. Upon his escape, he headed for Malfoy Manor. When he got there...."

Mrs. Weasley took a deep breath. "-he murdered his wife Narcissa. He didn't use his wand....instead he used a dagger to slit her throat. It looked as though he intended to kill Draco as well, but he couldn't find him and it's assumed he left in a rage."

"But where was Draco when his mother was killed?" Hermione asked.

Mrs. Weasley sighed. "Narcissa had sequestered him in a secret chamber in the manor that Lucius didn't know about. When she heard of her husband's escape and state of mind, she hid Draco in that secret chamber and sealed it using a Fidelus Charm. The charm would keep him in until she or the Secret Keeper came to let him out. Unfortunately, the chamber was behind a two-way mirror, where no one cold see in, but Draco could see out. He could see the whole time his father was killing his mother."

"But, Mum, I don't understand one thing. How did anyone know that much about what was going on?" asked Ron.

Mrs. Weasley looked over to her husband and smiled sadly. "I was with the members of the Order who went to retrieve Draco that night. I had to be. Back when I was a young girl at Hogwarts, way before I dated your father, Narcissa and I were the best of friends. Back then money and social status didn't matter as much to her. When she started dating Lucius, she began to change so much, until she finally stopped speaking to me altogether. That is, until last week. Last week, Narcissa feared for her son's life and turned to the only real friend she ever had.....me. She pleaded with me to remember our past friendship. She begged me to be her Secret Keeper, because she knew no one would suspect me. And now, that's why Draco's here. Narcissa asked me to take care of him if anything should happen to her."

"But, Mrs. Weasley, what about Lucius Malfoy?" Harry asked, sipping his tea.

Mr. Weasley shook his head. "Unfortunately he's still out there somewhere. We have patrols seaching, but no one has seen him. Until he is caught, Draco is not safe. The Burrow seemed like the perfect place to hide him, because to everyone else it would seem like the least likely place he would go."

Ron looked thoughtful for a minute. "Mum, does this mean that Draco Malfoy is going to live with us?"

"Right now we just don't know, although we do know it's what Narcissa wanted. She said as much in her will....a will she kept secret from her husband," Mr. Weasley said. "But it's getting late and you four should probably go to bed. It's been a long day."

After a quick round of good night hugs from Mrs. Weasley, the four tired teens went upstairs. Instead of splitting up however, they all went to Ron's room. Once Ron and Hermione were seated on Ron's bed and Harry and Ginny were seated on Harry's bed, the four talked abut that discussion downstairs.

"Well," Hermione said, "I never thought I'd say this....but poor Draco."

"Even for as awful as he always is, you know he probably really loved his Mum" Ginny said quietly. "I don't even want to think about how it would be to have your mum killed right in front of you like that!" At Ginny's words, Harry's face fell and he looked down at his lap.

"How insensitive am I?" Ginny thought. "Did I really just say that out loud in front of Harry?" Quickly she grabbed Harry's hand. "Oh, Harry, I'm SO sorry....it just slipped out."

"It's all right, don't worry about it," Harry said sadly. "I'm kind of tired. Think I'll go to sleep." Harry took back his hand, rolled over, and lay on his bed facing the wall.

"Oh.....okay. See you in the morning, Harry," Ginny said quietly. Hermione wished Ron a good night and the girls left to go to Ginny's room. Once they were in and the door was shut, Ginny began to berate herself.

"Hermione, how could I have been so stupid? How could I have said something like that with Harry sitting right there?" Tears of frustration and regret began to trail down her cheeks. Hermione grabbed her little friend in a comforting hug.

"Don't beat yourself up about it, Ginny. You just caught Harry a bit off guard when you said it. He knows you'd never intentionally say anything to hurt him. He loves you so much, Ginny. Just give him the night to calm down. I'm sure he'll be over it by morning." Ginny nodded, not really believing, but only hoping. Hermione guided Ginny over to her bed.

"The best thing you can do right now is get some rest. I promise things will all work out in the morning." After Hermione was asleep, Ginny still lie awake in bed, unable to get over her feelings of guilt. When she had tossed and turned for over an hour, she heard the now familiar sounds of Harry having a nightmare.

"This is all my fault," Ginny thought. "But I'm going to fix it." Quietly she slipped out of bed and went over to let Hermione know she was going. Hermione gave her a sleepy nod and set an alarm to wake herself up early.

Ginny slipped out of her room down the hall and into Ron's room. Harry was calling out in his sleep, his body twisted in the blankets from his movements. Ginny climbed into bed next to him, straightening the blankets and arranging them over Harry and herself. After using the Engorgement charm on her ring and slipping Harry's finger into the ring with hers, she settled down resting her head on his chest. Harry's erratic breathing calmed almost instantly, and his yelling and thrashing stopped.

Just as she was about to drift off, Ginny felt Harry's arms creep around her and pull her tightly against him. In his now peaceful sleep, Harry mumbled, "Love you, my Ginny." Ginny smiled and drifted off to sleep, Harry's deep, even breathing ruffling through her hair.


Ginny woke to the feel of Harry's fingers running through her hair. "Did I ever tell you how beautiful these silly purple streaks make you look?"

Ginny smiled and slowly opened her eyes, languidly stretching her well-rested body. As she raised her arms over her head, Harry's hand followed. Ginny realized they were still bound by her ring and sat up to slip it off Harry's finger. After returning the band to it's normal size and slipping it back on, Ginny glanced at Harry nervously.

"Harry, I have to tell you I'm sorry. I should have thought before I opened my big, insensitive mouth. I didn't mean to-"

Whatever Ginny was about to say was cut off by Harry's lips against hers.

"Yay! He's not mad at me!" she thought, as she responded to Harry's kiss with a new urgency. The door to Ron's bedroom flung open and Hermione ran in looking panicked.

"Ginny, wake up! The alarm didn't go....oh, you're awake."

"What's all the noise about?" Ron asked, rolling over and opening his eyes. Hermione realized she was still in her pajamas; a pair of short, cut-off pink sweatpants and a ratty old t-shirt of her Mum's that said 'Co-ed Naked Dentistry~Drilling and Filling is Our Pleasure'. Ron grinned widely and waggled his eyebrows at Hermione as he eyed her appreciatively.

Hermione let out a small, "Eeek!" and ran out the door.

Ron slipped out of bed. "Maybe I should go see if she needs any help changing," he said with a naughty grin.

"You'll do no such thing, Ronald Weasley!" Hermione shrieked from down the hallway. Smiling, Ginny hugged her boyfriend and thanked her lucky stars that he was so understanding.


The next few days passed without much incident. True to her word, Hermione taught Zeppie how to knit. Mrs. Weasley had given him some extra skeins of yarn she had, and Zeppie could now almost always be found knitting new and vibrant clothes for himself. He was currently working on a set of bright red pants and a purple jumper.

Padfoot had adjusted well to his new home, and had surprisingly become fast friends with Crookshanks. They were, after all, both very intelligent animals. Most afternoons they could be found chasing gnomes around the garden, or curled up in a little bundle napping together.

Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny spent lots of time walking and having their now regular talks. The biggest topics of conversation were about Mrs. Weasley's confession of being friends with Draco's mother back in school and how to handle the situation with Draco. They decided it would be best to leave Draco to himself, to allow him to work through his grief in his own way.

Draco stayed shut up in the attic. The only one who ever saw him was Mrs. Weasley. She would take a tray of food and drink up to him three times a day, most of which came back untouched. Mrs. Weasley spent a little time with him each day while he drank his tea, trying to earn his trust. Whether she had been successful or not was information she was keeping to herself.

Finally the day of the special Order meeting rolled around. Mr. Weasley had secured a Portkey to take them to Grimmauld Place. Everyone was ready to leave except for Draco, who Mrs. Weasley was now trying to coax downstairs. After a few moments she descended leading a very quiet, sad-looking Draco. Everyone touched the cut-off electrical plug that Mr. Weasley had turned into a Portkey. With the ever so familiar pull behind the navel, they left the Burrow and appeared at Grimmauld Place. Once the swirling of their surroundings stopped, Harry noticed that the house was quite dark.

All of a sudden the lights flipped on, and Harry found himself surrounded by all of his friends and adopted family.

"SURPRISE! HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HARRY!"


A/N: Hope you all enjoyed this chapter. There was a lot to explain and I hope it all made sense. Thank you to every one who has left a review....You guys are awesome! And a big round of applause for Chelsea the super mod for getting my chapters validated so fast :)

Happy Birthday, Harry by CraftySlytherin

A/N: As always and forever, I don't own J.K. Rowling's characters. I'm just making them do a little dance right now until HBP!!!!


Harry rapidly blinked his eyes to adjust them to the sudden appearance of light. Also, to make sure he was really seeing what he thought he was seeing.

The room was decorated up beautifully with loads of birthday decorations. Shiny silver balloons dotted the floor, perfectly matching the silver streamers that ran from one side of the room to the other. Upon the table sat a large, three-tiered birthday cake decorated with little Snitches and broomsticks. Under a large banner which read, Happy Birthday, Harry, was a rather large stack of presents. And there all around him was everyone in the world that he cared about.

As Harry stood, still unable to say anything, he found himself suddenly flanked by Fred and George Weasley. Each one grabbed one of Harry's arms, and began to drag him through a crowd of smiling people.

"Can you believe it, Fred? Our little Harry's turning seventeen."

Fred sighed loudly. "I know, George. It seems like only yesterday he was learning his first spell." Fred wiped away a fake tear.

"They grow up so fast," sighed George. Harry found himself being deposited into a large chair, where Fred produced a rather garish looking hat. It was shaped like a dunce cap and was bewitched to flash the words, Birthday Boy. Fred promptly slapped the hat over Harry's head as he and George began to sing.

"Duh duh duh duh duh dun, you say it's your birthday! Duh duh duh duh duh dun, it's my birthday too, yeah!"

"All right you too, that's enough," said Mrs. Weasley. "It's time to eat, and your singing is so atrocious that you'll bring poor Harry to tears."

Fred gave George a meaningful glance, and the two again broke out in song. "It's Harry's party, and he can cry if he wants to......cry if he wants to......CRY if he wants to!"

Mrs. Weasley boxed the twins' ears and herded them into the dining room with everyone else not far behind. Everyone but Draco Malfoy. He stood listlessly by the foot of the stairs. Ginny and Hermione noticed him and cautiously approached.

"Um....er, Mal-I mean, Draco?" Hermione asked tenatively. "You could come eat too."

"Yeah," Ginny agreed, "I'm sure there's loads of food."

Draco spoke quietly, not looking at either girl. "Not hungry. Just want to lie down."

"There's plenty of rooms upstairs, if you want to be alone," Ginny offered. Draco shook his head. Instead, he walked over to one of the large couches and laid down, not speaking another word. Mrs. Weasley appeared in the doorway.

"You girls had better get something to eat, or Ron will finish it all off." In her hands she carried a tray of food, presumably for Draco. Ginny and Hermione nodded understandingly, and headed for the dining room. If anyone could get Draco to eat, it would be Mrs. Weasley.


In the dining room, the air was more cheery. The food spread upon the table was nothing short of a feast. There was a roast turkey, chicken pie, bangers and mash, and a large assortment of fried and baked vegetables. After a bit, Mrs. Weasley rejoined everyone. Hermione and Ginny looked at her questioningly.

Mrs. Weasley smiled. "He ate a bit. He's upstairs resting."

After everyone was done eating and the table was cleared, Fred and George brought in Harry's presents. They did this by Apparating from the dining room to the living room and back again, until all of Harry's presents were stacked on the table in front of him.

Mrs. Weasley shook her head. "That's quite enough out of you two. Go ahead, Harry dear, open your presents."

Harry had never in his life received so many presents for his birthday. From Mr. and Mrs. Weasley he received....what else....a new Weasley jumper, with a Snitch and broomstick on the front. Ron gave Harry a new set of gloves for Quidditch.

"It's our last year, mate. McGonagall's gotten so used to having that Quidditch Cup in her office. We wouldn't want to disappoint her."

Hermione gave Harry a new set of quills and ink, with a liberal supply of parchment and a new homework organizer. "After all, Harry, it is our N.E.W.T. year. You'll want to be prepared."

There were many other gifts; books, a new 'thicker-bottomed' cauldron, candies of all varieties, and from Fred and George, a large box of their best products.

"It's your last year, Harry. Make us proud."

Remus' present brought tears to Harry's eyes. Encased in a beautiful, wooden frame with gilded edges, was a Wizard photo of Remus, James, and Sirius during their Hogwarts days. Sirius currently had James in a headlock giving him a noogie, while Remus looked on shaking his head. James and Sirius then ganged up on Remus, doubling him over and pulling his robes up over his head. Harry found himself smiling at the photograph Marauders' antics.

"It's the only one I could find without....Peter," Remus said quietly.

"Thanks, Remus. You have no idea what this means to me. It's brilliant."

Finally there was one gift left; Ginny's gift. Anyone who cared to look at Ginny at that moment, would have seen her fidgeting in anticipation. Harry tore off the wrappings and opened the small box. Inside, there was a man's ring. The band was white gold, with intricately carved stars and moons. The stone set in the band was a teal-colored opal. Harry turned the ring over and looked inside the band. Sure enough, the words Sweet Dreams were stamped inside.

"It's for your nightmares, Harry," Ginny said with a smile.

Harry turned the ring over in his hands. "I wonder if it could have been Godric's and just gotten misplaced." Ginny looked at her own ring, remembering that it had once belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw.

"Thanks so much, love," Harry said. "I'll put this in my school trunk so I don't forget it when we go to Hogwarts." Ginny looked confused, and Harry leaned over to whisper in her ear. "Love, I'll save it for when you can't come climb in bed with me and share yours. I want to enjoy that for as long as I can."

The sound of Mrs. Weasley announcing that it was time for cake was blocked out for Ginny. Harry, pretending to still be whispering in her ear, pressed his lips against her earlobe. Shivers ran all the way down to her toes.

"Potter, you don't play fair!"

"Never claimed to," Harry said with a grin, pulling Ginny to her feet so that they could get some cake.


Hermione watched in amazement as Ron polished off his third slice of cake. His appetite never ceased to amaze her. "Ron, if you're through stuffing your face, I have a present for you. But I want to give it to you in private."

Ron's fork clattered to his plate. "Private? You want to give me something in private?" The naughty grin again came over his face, as he hauled Hermione out of the dining room and up the stairs. Ron pulled Hermione into a dark, empty room. "So, what do you want to give me?" Ron asked suggestively.

"Honestly, Ron, I just wanted to give you-"

Ron cut Hermione off quickly, leaning in to kiss her. Slowly he walked her backwards until her back was against the wall. Ron pressed himself fully against her and continued his unrelenting assault on Hermione's mouth. Just as Hermione was beginning to think that the birthday cake taste of Ron's mouth was better than eating it off a plate, someone stepped into the doorway behind them.

"What do you suppose they're doing, Fred my good man?" Hermione and Ron sprang apart to see Fred and George standing in the doorway, wide grins plastered on their faces.

"Isn't it obvious, George old chap? Hermione has apparently misplaced her tonsils, and dear ickle Ronnykins was helping her find them."

"Or maybe, Fred my dear boy, our brother is secretly a dentist, and he was giving her an 'oral' examination."

In the darkness, no one could see the dark blush that had crept up on Ron and Hermione's faces. Ron was so embarrassed and angry, that he couldn't form a coherent sentance.

"You.....we......stop!"

"What Ron is so eloquently trying to say, is that you two are great big prats!" Hermione said through clenched teeth. "I was just trying to give Ron a present."

"A present? Can we have a present too, Hermione?" George asked, while Fred puckered up his lips and made loud smacking noises. This was finally enough to loosen Ron's tongue.

"Just....leave....please! Can't you two ever just be normal? GO AWAY! If you don't, I'll tell Mum about your newest product." Ron was referring to a new candy they were working on that had, thus far, turned out to be quite explosive.

"Well, George, we'd better go. We wouldn't want Ronnie to tattle on us," Fred said in mock horror.

"Yes, Fred. We'll go so Hermione can finish giving Ron his 'present'."

"See you later, tonsil inspector!" Fred and George left, laughing the whole way.

"Why can't I have any normal brothers around? My only two normal brothers are off in foreign countries. What am I stuck with here? A pair of laughing idiots and a traitor."

"Just forget them, Ron," Hermione said, trying to calm him down. "Besides, I really DO have a present for you." Out of her pocket, Hermione pulled a wand holder. It was shaped like a silver dragon, with two rubies for eyes. The dragon's mouth was wide open, and this was where the end of the wand went.

Ron took the holder from her, examining it with great interest. "It's great, 'Mione! Where'd you get it?"

"I got it at the same shop where Ginny found the Sweet Dreams ring for Harry. Actually, I found two of them." Hermione pulled out another holder, which had her wand in it. "See....they match. I thought they would be nice to have....since our wands have a connection with each other."

Ron pulled Hermione into a tight hug. "I love it, 'Mione. I have something for you too, but you can't have it until we get to school."


Finally, the party was over. All of the guests had returned to their homes. Mrs. Weasley retrieved Draco from upstairs, and their group again used the electrical plug Portkey to return to the Burrow. When they arrived, they immediately saw that something was wrong.

The Burrow had been ransacked. Furniture was overturned, dishes were smashed on the floor, and stuck to the wall with a bloody dagger, was a note. Mrs. Weasley gathered Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, and Draco closer to her as Mr. Weasley inspected the note.

He is mine. I WILL claim him.

"Molly, we've got to get them out of here, now. Take the Portkey and get them back to Grimmauld Place."

"But, Arthur, what about you? What if he's still here?"

"I don't think he is. I'm going to make a quick check and then contact the Order. I'll be right behind you."

"Zeppie!" Hermione shrieked. "Where's Zeppie?"

A weak voice came from the closet under the stairs. "Missy Hermy?"

Mr. Weasley opened the closet to reveal Zeppie hunched in the corner. In one arm he held Crookshanks, and in the other he held Padfoot. Zeppie was covered in fresh bruises, and there was a large, deep cut over one of his large, round eyes.

"Zeppie!" Hermione rushed forward to check on her little friend. Harry and Ron came to relieve him of Crookshanks and Padfoot, and Hermione helped Zeppie out of the closet. "Zeppie, what happened?"

"A bad wizard came, Missy Hermy. He hit Zeppie a lot, tried to make Zeppie tell him where the Wheezys were. Zeppie didn't tell him anything! Zeppie got Missy Hermy's cat and Miss Wheezy's dog and Zeppie got away; hid until the bad wizard left. But, Missy Hermy, Zeppie's new clothes....the bad wizard ruined them."

"It's all right, Zeppie. I can make you more. All that's important is that you got away. You probably saved Crookshanks and Padfoot too. If you hadn't have gotten away and hid....he probably would have killed all three of you." Hermione took Zeppie's hand and led him over to Mrs. Weasley.

"Molly, take them all and go now," Arthur instructed. Mrs. Weasley nodded, and she and the rest used the Portkey to return to Grimmauld Place.

Once there, Mrs. Weasley ran to grab things to dress Zeppie's wounds. Ginny cradled a whimpering Padfoot in her arms, while Harry held Ginny in his. Hermione kneeled in front of Zeppie still holding his hand, while Ron stood behind them holding a distressed Crookshanks. As Mrs. Weasley returned with the bandages, Mr. Weasley Apparated into the living room.

"There was no sign of him at the Burrow. Order members are out searching the surrounding area. Tomorrow, I'll go back to the Burrow with some of the other Order members and retrieve anything that we need."

Mrs. Weasley nodded, as she began to dress Zeppie's wounds. "You'll need to bring back their school things. I'm afraid we'll have to stay here until the start of term."

"It's all my fault." Everyone looked over to where Draco stood. "It's all my fault that you're in danger. It's all my fault that he destroyed your house. You should have never taken me in. I didn't deserve it. All I've ever been to your family is cruel. You should have just left me."

Mrs. Weasley quickly turned the bandages over to Hermione. Rushing forward, she approached Draco and put a tenative hand on his shoulder.

"Of course we shouldn't have left you. None of this is your fault...you shouldn't think that way. I was more than happy to take you in. I won't hear any more of this nonsense." Mrs. Weasley put her arm around his shoulders to lead him to the kitchen. "Come with me. We'll get you a spot of tea and a bite to eat."

"There you go, Zeppie, you're all fixed up. Why don't you run along upstairs and get some rest," Hermione suggested. Zeppie nodded tiredly and started for the stairs.

"And Zeppie?"

"Yes, Missy Hermy?"

"Thank you for saving Crookshanks and Padfoot."

"You is welcome, Missy Hermy. Zeppie will go rest now." With that being said, Zeppie made his way slowly up the stairs.


Later that night, after everyone had gone to bed, Ron and Harry sat up talking about the situation with Draco.

"Imagine having your own dad after you, trying to kill you," Ron said quietly.

"I know....and I can't believe I'm saying this, but I kind of feel sorry for Draco."

"Yeah, it's weird to feel sorry for someone you've hated since you met them."

Further discussion of the topic was cut off by an insistant pecking at the window. Harry looked out to see an owl. He opened the window and let the owl in. The owl perched on the end of Harry's bed, and stuck out it's leg. Harry untied the letter the owl was carrying, and it flew off out the window. Harry opened the letter to find it was from Dumbledore.

Harry, I must give my most humble apologies for not coming to your party. I am afraid that I had pressing business that needed to be attended to. I have, however, sent you a token in tidings of your happy day. It should arrive after this letter. Regards, Albus Dumbledore

True to the letter's word, a group of six owls came soaring in through the window, a large package suspended between them. Again, these owls didn't stay around long. Apparently they were all business. As soon as they dropped the package on Harry's bed, they were gone back out the window.

"Well....open it, Harry," Ron said excitedly. Harry opened the box and pulled out a large, stone bowl. It was green in color, and appeared to be made of jade.

"Whoa! Harry, that's a Pensieve!" Ron said, coming closer to examine it. Inside the Pensieve was another letter, which Harry quickly tore open.

Harry, I thought it might be beneficial for you to have one of these of your very own. You will find it handy as we continue your Occlumency and Legilimency lessons this coming term. Again, I wish you a very happy birthday. Regards, Albus Dumbledore

"Wow!" Ron exclaimed, obviously impressed by Dumbledore's gift. "These are really rare, and this one looks expensive!"

Harry had to admit that he too was impressed. Last year when Dumbledore had given Harry lessons, he had allowed Harry to use his Pensieve. This would certainly be more convenient. Harry carefully packed the Pensieve away in his school trunk, placing the box containing the ring from Ginny inside it. Even with the attack on the Burrow, Harry was thinking that he'd never had a better birthday.


The next few weeks passed without much incident. Just as he had at the Burrow, Draco mostly stayed confined to his room, with Mrs. Weasley bringing him up trays of food and tea. His trays didn't come back quite so unfinished, and it looked as though Mrs. Weasley had slowly started to gain his trust.

Zeppie healed from his wounds quite nicely. He and Hermione had spent some time knitting new outfits, and he now had four, slightly mismatched sets of clothes. True to her word, Hermione had begun paying him, and Mr. Weasley had even set up an account for Zeppie at Gringotts. For saving their lives, Zeppie had earned the trust of Crookshanks and Padfoot. When he wasn't knitting or doing odd jobs around the house, Zeppie cold be found playing with the animals.

As school time grew closer, Ginny's sixteenth birthday arrived. Again, Mrs. Weasley went all out to have a lovely party for her. True to his word, there were no presents from Harry in with her other gifts. That was because Harry had a plan.

When he had bought Ginny's other gift, Harry had arranged to have it delivered to him the day before her birthday. As Ginny came out of the dining room in the aftermath of her party, Harry put his plan into action. Grabbing Ginny from behind, Harry tied a blindfold over her eyes.

"Harry, what are you doing?"

"I need to take you somewhere, love. Just trust me." Harry led Ginny out into a gazebo that stood in the flower garden of the backyard. This was where he had put Ginny's other present.

"Okay, here we are," Harry said, steering Ginny in front of the wrapped package. Ginny tried to pull off the blindfold, but Harry stopped her. "No, love, you have to leave it on." After all, he had promised her that she wouldn't 'see' anymore presents from him.

"Potter, what have you done?" Ginny asked, as she fumbled at the wrappings. When she had torn them off, Ginny ran her hands up and down the now exposed gift. With a loud gasp, Ginny tore off the blindfold to look at what sat in front of her. Harry held his breath as he waited for her reaction.

Ginny smiled for a moment, but the smile soon fell from her face. How could he have spent so much money on her?

"Oh, Harry, how could you?" Ginny asked. She hesitated only a second before turning and running as fast as she could back to the house.

Harry inwardly kicked himself. He should have known she'd be mad at him. He should have handled this differently. Harry silently swore to himself, making up his mind to go after her. Before he left the gazebo, he picked up the Firebolt that had been the cause of Ginny's anger.


A/N: Well, another chapter done in this story which will have.....I don't know how many chapters. I hope you all enjoyed it, and I promise to update again soon! All of you who have reviewed.....YOU'RE AWESOME!! If you haven't read, The Draught of Prospicio, by Burrowbrat, you should definitely do it. It's an excellent story! But please review first!!!!

The Letter by CraftySlytherin

A/N: Hello! I'm just your run-of-the-mill fanfic author who doesn't own J.K. Rowling's brilliant characters. I DO however own the situations in which they now find themselves. So, until HBP, enjoy!!! Draco may seem a bit OoC in this story, but please keep in mind what he's been through as you are reading :) A little less than half of this chapter is from his point of view, but it's necessary for developing the direction I'm taking his character in this story. A great big thanks has to go to Chelsea, THE SUPER MOD! Faster than a speeding Snitch......Able to leap tall fanfics in a single bound!!!


Harry stood quietly in front of Ginny's closed door, the Firebolt clutched firmly in his hand. He took a deep breath, and rapped on the closed door with his knuckles. "Gin? Gin, please let me come in and explain."

The door swung open to reveal a very red-faced Ginny. "What is there to explain, Harry? You've gone and bought me an EXTREMELY expensive gift. How can I ever live up to that? I don't have the money to go around buying YOU such expensive things, so why did you do it for me?" Ginny stalked over to her bed and flopped onto it, waiting for an explanation.

"Gin, I saw the way you looked at Ron's Firebolt. I saw the longing in your eyes. I knew you had to have one." Ginny sighed loudly, not saying anything.

"Listen, Gin, this didn't cost as much as you think it did. I bought it used. It didn't even cost me half the price of a new one. Look at the handle and you'll see what I mean." Harry strode over to the bed and tossed the Firebolt down beside Ginny. Ginny closely inspected the handle and saw a name engraved there.

"Sarah Parkin," Ginny read, running her fingers over the engraved letters. Suddenly, understanding dawned on her. "Sarah Parkin? As in THE Sarah Parkin? Sarah Parkin....Chaser for the Wigtown Wanderers?" Harry nodded.

Sarah Parkin played as Chaser for the Wigtown Wanderers, and was an excellent player. For as long as anyone could remember, there had always been a Parkin playing for the Wanderers. The Wanderers were founded by a group of brothers and sisters who were all Parkins.

"But, Harry, how did you get it?"

"Apparently, Sarah Parkin is now testing out a new prototype racing broom. She donated all of her old brooms to charity. The money raised from the selling of her brooms goes to help children from poor Wizarding families who need help buying their school things, like robes and books."

Harry watched as Ginny's barriers began to dissolve. "And," he continued, "with three of us on Firebolts this year, we could be unbeatable."

Ginny looked thoughtful for a minute. "Did the money you paid for the Firebolt really go to charity?"

"Of course, Gin. You should know by now that I love you too much to lie to you."

Ginny leaned in to press a quick kiss against Harry's lips. "All right, Potter, I accept your gift. It really will help to have three of us on Firebolts, and the money went to a good cause. But don't you pull another sneaky stunt like that again. Next time you try it I'll hex you, love of my life."

Harry pulled Ginny into his arms. "Don't worry, Gin love, I have no intention of sparking your Weasley temper again anytime soon." Harry kissed the top of her head, tucking a stubborn, purple strand of hair behind her ear. "By the way, I've been feeling a bit odd today. I think it might mean that I'm going to have a nightmare tonight," he said with a smile.

Ginny smiled right back at him. "Oh really? Well if you do, we'll just have to take care of it, won't we?"


Ron and Hermione sat on the bed in Ron's room, Hermione trying to get Ron to study. "Ron, classes are going to be really, really hard this year, and we leave for Hogwarts in two weeks. If you don't start preparing now, you'll never be able to stay ahead. Now let's study these advanced Charms incantations."

Ron didn't even glance at the book, instead looking into Hermione's eyes. "But I'd rather study your mouth, Hot Lips." Ron leaned forward to kiss Hermione, who stopped him with a hand on his chest.

"Ronald, although the prospect may seem appealing, you can't snog your way through school. You're Head Boy and you have an example to set, not only with your actions, but with your dedication to your classes as well."

Ron rolled his eyes and breathed a heavy sigh. "Okay, 'Mione, put away your teacher hat. I'll study with you, but I expect a rather good snog fest later." Ron and Hermione set to studying, and didn't notice Draco come to stand in the doorway until he spoke.

"Do you have a piece of parchment I could borrow?" he inquired, his eyes never leaving the floor. Hermione jumped up and fumbled around in her bag, finally pulling out some parchment. She walked over and handed it to Draco.

"Thanks," he mumbled, before turning around and leaving.

Ron's eyes opened wide in amazement. "Did Draco Malfoy just.....thank you?"

Hermione sat back down on Ron's bed, picking up her advanced Charms book. "That was a little unnerving; to have someone who's called me a mudblood for years thank me."

"Ahhhh.....young love. Isn't it sweet, Forge?"

"I say, Gred, I'd have to agree with you." In the doorway Draco had just vaccated, now stood Fred and George.

"OH NO, not you two! GO AWAY!" Ron exclaimed, trying to cut them off before they could get started.

"Why, Forge, I believe our ickle brother and his woman are mad at us!"

"Well, we'll have to remedy that, Gred my good man."

"They look like they could use a good laugh, Forge."

"You're quite right, Gred."

"Rictusempra!" they said at once, flicking their wands at Ron and Hermione. Twin jets of light hit Ron and Hermione at the same time. They fell to the floor laughing, holding their sides as they rolled around.

"HA HA HA!" Ron laughed. "You two are the biggest prats in the...ha ha...world. You two are so...hee hee hee....dead!"

Fred looked at George in horror. "Oh no, George! Please don't be dead!" Fred began to frantically check George's wrist for a pulse.

"Oh, Fred! You can't be dead either! Who will run the joke shop with us both gone?" George checked for Fred's heartbeat, as Ron and Hermione continued to laugh riotously on the floor.

"Finite Incantatum!" Mrs. Weasley yelled from the doorway, aiming her wand at Ron and Hermione. Immediately their laughter stopped. She then rounded on Fred and George, who were still checking each other for a pulse.

"WHAT are you two doing here still? Don't you have a joke shop to run?"

"Don't you even care that we're dead, Mum?" Fred asked with mock surprise.

"We just came to see our brother, the future dentist," said George.

"Drilling and filling are their pleasure," Fred said seriously.

Hermione's eyes went wide. "When did they see me in my pajamas?" Hermione wondered.

Ron, wondering the same thing, jumped up from the floor. "All right, have you been spying on Hermione?"

Fred and George held up their hands defensively. "No little brother, we swear!"

"It was completely by accident that we saw Hermione in her pajamas last night!" Fred said innocently.

"Yeah, it was completely by accident that we saw you snog her senseless before she went to bed!"

"That's enough!" Mrs. Weasley shouted. "You two, OUT!"

"That's all right," George said, heading for the door. "We were leaving anyways."

"Yeah, we've got our funerals to plan," Fred said, following his twin out the door.

Once the twins were gone, Mrs. Weasley turned to Hermione and Ron. "All right you two, do I need to cast a Chastity charm on you both?"

"Mum, I swear it was only a little goodnight peck!" Mrs. Weasley raised her eyebrows at him.

Hermione was quick to back Ron up. "He's telling the truth, Mrs. Weasley. Fred and George are just trying to get him into trouble."

With Hermione supporting Ron's story, Mrs. Weasley seemed satisfied. "All right, I'll take your word for it. But I'll be keeping a sharp eye on you two! Always remember, I can cast that charm in a second!"


Molly Weasley stood at the kitchen sink rinsing vegetables for dinner. "What am I going to do with Fred and George?" she wondered. "Those two are going to run me straight into the loony bin."

Her thoughts were interrupted by an eagle owl flying in through the window. Mrs. Weasley detached the letter it was carrying, and fed the owl a bit of fried bacon before it flew back out the window. She sat down at the kitchen table, tore open the envelope, and began to read.

Mrs. Weasley,

I had some things I wanted to say to you, but couldn't seem to bring myself to do it in person. For years, I've had to be a certain kind of person. It didn't matter who I really was. My father brought me up to be everything a Malfoy should be....emotionless, cruel, and calculating. From the time I could speak, he began telling me tales of the greatness of Voldemort and his Death Eaters. He molded and shaped me to one day follow in his footsteps and become a Death Eater. I now see what kind of man he really is. Not a man....but a monster. I don't know when or if I'll ever come to terms with what has happened to my mother. I only know that I don't want to be like my father. Right now, I don't really know who I am anymore. Am I the cold, cruel person my father is? I fervantly hope not. I cannot change anything I've done in the past. All of the things I've done and said to you and your loved ones....it can never be taken back. I still don't fully understand why you've taken me in. I've never given you any reason to like me, much less tolerate my presence. Due to these terrible circumstances, I've realized that my life is now changing. For the first time in my life, I can live how I want to live, and make my own choices. I know that I choose to not be the person I once was. I want the chance to become someone better. Your taking me in is giving me that chance. I've put your family in harm's way, and all you've done is try harder to support me. Whatever your reasons are for taking me in, I thank you. After the way things have gone in my life so far, I've never been able to put my trust in anyone. Yet everyday, you keep trying. I can't promise that I can change overnight, but I wanted to let you know that I AM trying. Some days it's just very hard. Some days all I can think about is what I've seen. Some days...I think it would be easier if he'd killed me too. I hope you can understand all I've said. I hope you can continue to try and have faith in me. All of your support has meant so much.

Sincerely,

Draco Malfoy

Molly Weasley was crying freely by the time she finished the letter. Wiping her eyes with a kitchen towel, she stood and slipped the letter into the over-sized pocket of her apron. "No matter what I have to do, I'll keep trying until I get him through this."


Draco stood in the doorway to the dining room, watching Ron and Harry play Wizard's chess. As Ron's bishop smashed another of Harry's pawns, Draco heard a small voice inside of him. He'd heard this voice for a while now; since the night his mother died. He realized that it was the voice of his own true personality; the personality he'd always kept neatly tucked away.

"You know you wish they'd invite you to play. Why don't you go over and ask?"

"No, I'm not ready to fully listen to you yet. I need more time," Draco thought to the voice.

"Well, you're just being stubborn. While you're taking your time, you are missing out on life."

Draco might not have been ready to ask to play chess with them, but he did feel the need to say something to Ron and Harry. Slowly, he walked over to where they sat, locked in their battle of wits.

"Potter? Weasley?"

Ron and Harry turned from their chess game, giving him their attention. "Malfoy, do you need something?" Ron asked.

"Well, I have something I wanted to say." Draco nervously shifted his weight from one foot to the other. "I'm not saying I want to be your friend or anything. But I thought that maybe we could come to an agreement. I won't go out of my way to bother you or your friends anymore, if you'll do the same for me."

"You're lying to yourself," the voice said. "You wish you had friends as loyal and true as Potter and Weasley. Admit it, any so-called friends you have are only that because you bully them. You know you don't have any real friends. Why don't you do something about it."

"No! I told you, I'm not ready!" Draco told the voice. Harry and Ron watched as Draco silently argued with himself. Harry finally answered him.

"All right, Malfoy, we'll agree to that." Ron nodded his agreement.

"Okay, it's a deal," Draco said quietly. "And....you can call me Draco."

Before Ron or Harry could say anything else, he quickly sped from the room. "They can call you Draco?" the voice asked. "Well, that's an improvement."


The next two weeks passed quickly. Draco, Ron, and Harry had thus far stuck with their agreement. Draco had begun spending less time in his room, opting instead for sitting in front of the fireplace reading a book. The only person he spoke to very much was Mrs. Weasley. It was obvious that she had been able to scale the wall that Draco had built up around himself.

Zeppie was very distressed that Hermione was leaving for school. He was worried about being away from her and his new friends, Crookshanks and Padfoot. It had taken a lot of convincing, but Hermione had finally talked him in to staying with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Or so she hoped.

The morning of September first dawned bright and beautiful. The sun shone brilliantly in the clear-blue sky, chasing away the early morning chill. School trunks and pet cages had been packed into the two Ministry cars Mr. Weasley had aquired for the trip to King's Cross. Several Order members were there to act as a guard. Sightings of Lucius Malfoy had been reported in Hogsmeade, so they were taking no chances. The trip to Platform 9 3/4 was uneventful. However, as the group began to board the train, a strange, black owl intercepted Draco. He dropped the trunk he'd been carrying and detached a letter from the owl's leg. As he read it, he sat down heavily onto his trunk.

Don't worry, Draco. I haven't forgotten you. I WILL come for you.

Mrs. Weasley ran forward, taking the note out of Draco's hands and reading it. Anger flooded into her eyes. "Don't worry, dear. He'll never be able to touch you. We're all making sure of that." She squeezed his shoulder encouragingly. "Come on, dear, let's get you safely onto that train."


On board the train, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny headed for the Heads and Prefects meeting. Harry sat in a compartment waiting for them, with Neville and Luna.

"So how was your summer, Neville?" Harry asked, patting Crookshanks and Padfoot who were both asleep in his lap.

"It was great," Neville said excitedly. "Gran was so proud of how I did in my studies last year, that she bought me my very own greenhouse to grow plants in. You should see my Mimbulus mimbletonia, it's gotten huge!"

Luna smiled dreamily. "My dad and I spent most of the summer backpacking through Wales. We were looking for a Blue-crested Willawomp. They're very rare, and quite breathtaking to behold."

Harry and Neville snickered a bit, but Luna didn't seem to mind. Neville suddenly got serious. "Harry, I heard that Draco Malfoy was with you and the Weasleys this summer. How did that happen? I heard Gran say something about his parents, but when I asked her about it she told me to go grow something in my greenhouse. It must have been pretty bad."

Harry nodded gravely. "His father escaped from Azkaban and killed his mother. He tried to kill Draco too, but couldn't find him. He's been in hiding with the Weasleys ever since."

"Harry, did you just call him Draco instead of Malfoy?"

"Yeah, Neville, I did. He's changed a lot since his mum died. We're not friends or anything, but we have an understanding. He's not going to bother us as long as we don't bother him. He's the one that asked us to call him Draco."

Luna jumped up suddenly, the dreaminess in her eyes replaced by something that looked like urgency. "Oh! I've just remembered, there's someone I need to find. I'll see you two later!" The euphoric smile returned to her face and she departed from the carriage, leaving behind a bewildered Harry and Neville.


At that time, Draco was seated in a compartment with some of his fellow Slytherins. So far, he'd simply sat back listening to the mind-numbing conversation. That was until someone addressed him directly.

"So, Draco, what's up with your Dad? I heard about him killing your Mum," Goyle said with his usual eloquence.

"Yeah," Crabbe continued, "and where were you all summer?"

Draco looked up from the book he'd been reading. "I'd really rather not talk about it, if it's all the same to you."

Crabbe and Goyle looked taken aback for a minute. "Sure, Draco, whatever you say. What about Potter and his friends? What have you got planned for them this year?"

"Nothing. I've got nothing planned for them. We will be leaving them alone, and that's final."

"But, Draco," Goyle whined, "that's the most fun part of school! Why won't we be bothering them?"

"Yes, Draco....do tell us," Pansy Parkinson said silkily from her corner of the compartment. "Why exactly is the Golden Trio off limits? Are you going soft, Malfoy?"

It was at that moment that Luna stepped into the compartment. "Hello again, Draco my friend. I've come to see if you fancy a chat."

Draco knitted his eyebrows in confusion. "Since when have we been friends? I don't remember anything about it." He really was being honest. There were so many things he didn't remember while being under the influence of the Calming draught.

"Don't you remember?" Luna asked a little uncertainly. "That day in Flourish and Blotts. I....I thought you said you wanted to be my friend."

Draco sat silently searching his mind for any trace of a memory. He knew there was a chance that he'd spoken those words to her. He also knew that he was in a train compartment full of Slytherins. These were the only friends he could remember, and they were slowly beginning to question his loyalty. Afraid of being abandoned by them, Draco made up his mind.

"Don't do it! This girl is the type of friend you NEED in your life. Don't screw it up! You know all of these buffoons don't really mean anything to you."

Draco quickly pushed the voice out of his mind. "Sorry, but I don't remember saying anything of the sort. Why don't you go back to the people who are your real friends.....if you have any."

The second the words were out of his mouth, Draco wished he could take them back. A strange sensation fluttered in his stomach, as Luna's eyes teared up and she ran from the compartment. Draco knew what the feeling was. Although it was a new feeling for him, Draco recognized it as regret.

"Way to go, Draco!" Pansy shouted with a satisfied smirk. Crabbe and Goyle also voiced their appreciation of Draco's act. It was more than he could take.

"Why don't you all just shut up! I really can't believe I've wasted so much time trying to impress you nobheads!"

"Way to go! Finally you show some sense. Now go find her!" For the first time since he'd begun hearing it, Draco listened to the voice that he now recognized as his conscience. Leaving behind a compartment of goggle-eyed Slytherins, he ran in search of Luna.


A/N: All of the information on the Parkin family and the Wigtown Wanderers came from Quidditch Through the Ages. I hope everyone enjoyed the extra Fred and George bit I put in this chapter, since so many of you requested more :)

Hogwarts, Sweet Hogwarts by CraftySlytherin

A/N: So, obviously I'm not J.K. Rowling, so I don't own her characters. Except for the ones that are mine, and the plot....those are mine. PLEASE HAVE CHELSEA MODERATE THIS AS SHE HAS READ THE REST AND UNDERSTANDS WHAT I'M DOING WITH THE CHARACTERS.


With their meeting finally over, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny decided to rejoin Harry.

"Blimey but there's a lot of new rules this year," Ron observed, shaking his head.

"Of course there is, Ron. Voldemort could attack at any time. We have to do what we can to keep everyone as safe as possi-OOMPH!" Hermione was cut short as someone collided with her and kept running.

"That was Luna," Ginny said, as Ron helped Hermione steady herself. "I wonder what she's upset about."

Ron looked through the window of the compartment Luna had just come from. "I wonder if it has anything to do with the fact that she just came out of a carriage full of Slytherins."

Hermione's eyes grew wide. "What in the world was Luna Lovegood doing with a bunch of Slyther-OOMPH!" Again Hermione was cut short as someone exited the compartment and crashed into her. This time the person didn't make it past her, having instead fallen to the floor. Ron again helped Hermione steady herself as Draco Malfoy got to his feet.

"Which way did she go?" Draco asked urgently.

"Why should we tell you?" Ginny asked icily. "She was obviously upset. Why should I help you find her when it was probably you and your Slytherin friends who upset her in the first place?" Ginny planted her fists on her hips and tapped her right foot angrily.

Draco's face clouded over. "They're not my friends. I don't think they ever really were. Stupidly I just upset the first person who showed an interest in truly being my friend. Please tell me which way she went....I have to make things right."

Ginny's expression softened, but only slightly. "All right, I'll tell you where she went. But know this...Luna is a sensitive and loving person. I won't stand idly by and watch her be hurt. If I find out you've upset her further, I'll hex you up one side and down the other. You know from personal experience that I can do it!"

Yes, Draco could remember the time this little red-headed spitfire had Bat-Bogey hexed him. He wondered if Potter knew what a challenge he faced in the youngest Weasley. Much to the surprise of Ron, Hermione, and Ginny, Draco smiled slightly. It was more just an upturning of one side of his mouth. "Don't worry, that's an experience I wouldn't care to ever repeat. I promise I have no intention of hurting her more. I just want the chance to apologize."

Ginny nodded and pointed down the corridor in the direction Luna had fled.


He found her sitting alone in one of the train's luggage compartments. She was sitting on a trunk staring off into space, tears slowly streaking down her cheeks. She didn't even notice when he came in.

"Luna?" he said softly. Slowly she turned to face him.

"Draco....what are you doing here? I was just trying to find a quiet place to gather my thoughts. It's very important to always keep your thoughts in order, or they can get all mixed up in your head. I-"

"Luna," Draco said, cutting her off. "I wanted to apologize for what I said back there. I've been a terrible person for so long that I guess it will take time to change."

"I never thought you were a terrible person, Draco. I always thought you were fascinating....kind of like the Blue-Crested Willawomps my dad and I looked for over the summer. They're terribly interesting. They're like you; hard to get to, but once you do they're quite something to behold....not at all what people expect them to be," Luna said with a far-off gleam in her eyes. "We spent-"

"Luna," Draco said, cutting her off again. "Please let me talk to you." Draco sat on the trunk facing her. He realized her going on was probably her way of avoiding letting him say anything; anything that could again be hurtful. Patiently Draco explained all that had happened that summer; about his mother's death and his father still looking for him. He explained to her how he wanted a new life. Draco finished off by profusely apologizing for his earlier words.

"Does this mean you would still like to be my friend? It doesn't bother you that everyone thinks I'm loony?"

"Yes it does, and no it doesn't," Draco said, holding out his hand. "Friends?"

Luna grabbed his hand and kissed the back of it, just as he'd done to her at Diagon Alley. "Yes....friends. I think you'll do nicely as a friend, Draco. Won't all of the other girls be jealous?" Luna said wistfully. "One of the most well put together boys in school is my friend. Should we go back to one of the regular compartments?"

"No, let's stay here," Draco said. Suddenly Draco had realized that he felt better than he had in a long time. "Let's have that chat. I want to hear all about your summer amongst the Blue-Crested Willawomps."


A storm was brewing in the bewitched ceiling sky of the Great Hall as students filed in for the feast. Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were seated in their usual spots at Gryffindor table, waiting for the Sorting Ceremony to begin. The doors to the Great Hall opened, and Professor McGonagall led in the newest batch of timid-looking first years. As it had since the return of Voldemort, the Sorting Hat's song contained a plea for house unity.

Another year is upon us, at our dear Hogwarts. But this year things are different, things are out of sorts. Bad things are in the future, dark times lie ahead. We must band together, to face the approaching dread. I can feel it in my stitches, I can feel it in my brim; if we cannot join forces our future looks most grim. Although I now will sort you, into the separate houses of four; join together and be strong, I beseech you, I implore. Those of you in Ravenclaw, with all your wit and smarts; will be most brilliant warriors, in the fight against the Dark Arts. Those of you in Hufflepuff, with loyalty of deed; your dedication to work will help you to succeed. Those of you in Gryffindor, with your bravery unending; your courage makes you strong, for the battle that is pending. Those of you in Slytherin, with all of your cunning ways; your choice to fight, for right or wrong, will be difficult in coming days. So now the Sorting will begin, just after my song ends. I once again will urge you; join as brothers, join as friends. Join together all four houses, in a bond of unity. Only together will we triumph, over the evil which threatens our eternity.

"Maybe this year the Sorting Hat will get what it asks for," Hermione said, while everyone politely applauded. While the Sorting was going on, Harry noticed that Draco wasn't in his usual place of glory. He sat, quite alone, at the very end of the Slytherin table. It was then he noticed Luna Lovegood. Every few minutes, Luna would wave wildly and beam a smile at Draco. Draco returned each wave with a smile of his own and a nod of his head.

Harry was perplexed. "What exactly is the deal with Luna and Draco?"

Ginny smiled at Harry. "I think they've decided to be friends."

"Luna Lovegood and Draco Malfoy.....friends?" Harry asked with disbelief.

Dumbledore prevented any further conversation, as he called for everyone's attention. "I realize that you are all quite famished. Now that the Sorting is over, we shall eat. Then after, I have some announcements. Everyone tuck in!"

The golden platters on the tables became covered in a variety of delectable foods. Harry again took a glance over at Draco, who merely pushed the food on his plate around with a fork in a dejected manner. The rest of the Slytherins cast hateful glances his way, whispering and pointing.

"Oh, Harry, I feel so sorry for him," Ginny said quietly. She too had been watching what was going on at the Slytherin table. Then all of a sudden, Draco wasn't alone. Luna, seeing her friend's discomfort, had taken her plate and moved over to the Slytherin table to sit by Draco. As she sat down, Draco smiled appreciatively at her. He finally found his appetite and began to eat, as Luna chatted animatedly to him.

"Well," Hermione said, "it's a start. Maybe unity between the houses isn't completely impossible."

Everyone ate the feast in front of them, which was followed by decadent desserts. When everyone had their fill, Dumbledore again addressed the students.

"Now that we are all sufficiently stuffed, I will get to those announcements. As it is every year, and especially now, the Forbidden Forest is off limits to all students. Mr. Filch has again posted a list of all contraband items, and would like to remind you all that spellcasting in the corridors is forbidden. The DA will again be meeting this year, under the supervision of Mr. Potter. Meeting times and dates will be at his discretion, and I am told there will be a sign-up sheet posted for anyone interested in joining. As you can see, there are no new teachers currently sitting at the staff table. Our new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor is traveling a great distance to get here, and should arrive any moment. Our Head Boy and Head Girl are Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger. I would ask them to please report to my office after dismissal. Prefects....if you would please escort students to the dormitories. Good night, everyone!"

Ron and Hermione hurried off to meet Dumbledore in his office. When they got there, Harry and Ginny were also waiting to get in. Ron gave Harry a questioning look.

"Don't look at me, mate. I don't know why we're here. McGonagall came to get us after the feast and said that Dumbledore wanted a word with us as well."

"I believe I can clear that up for you," Dumbledore said, appearing behind them. "Follow me."

Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny followed him up the staircase to his office, where he asked them to have a seat. After they were seated, he continued.

"I just wanted to speak to you four about the situation with Draco Malfoy. The experience he has been through is liable to bring about a change in him."

"That's an understatement," Harry said, remembering the scene in the Great Hall.

Dumbledore smiled. "Ahhh...you must be thinking of his new friend. A splendid way to start house unity, don't you agree? I know I can count on you four to help him make the transition. Now I did have another reason for bringing you all here. Harry, you must be wondering why I chose young Ronald here for Head Boy AND Quidditch captain."

"Well, maybe a little. Nothing against Ron, I'm happy for him. But it is a lot of resposibility for one person." Ron smiled understandingly at his best friend.

"Well, Harry, you too will have much responsibility this year. The Ministry of Magic has decreed that the DA is to be made into an official Order; kind of like a junior Order of the Phoenix. You, Harry, are to be the leader of this new Order, which includes coming up with an Order name. Being the leader of this new Order is a hefty responsibility in itself, but I have no doubt whatsoever about your ability to handle it." Harry was speechless, as Ron, Hermione, and Ginny congratulated him excitedly.

Dumbledore continued. "Also, for their help in the Ministry of Magic skermish the year before last, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, Luna, and Neville are to be awarded the Order of Merlin, third class. Mr. Longbottom and Miss Lovegood have already been informed." Harry congratulated his three friends, but at the same time felt a little hurt. He'd been there as well, why was he being left out?

"Before you get upset, Harry, let me finish," Dumbledore said smiling. "Because of your involvement at the Ministry of Magic, AND because of the role you played in saving the lives of your friends from Bellatrix Lestrange, you will be awarded the Order of Merlin, second class. There will be a ceremony to officially bestow these honors on you all at the Halloween feast." By this time, Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny were all quite speechless. Dumbledore continued with a gleam in his eyes.

"Now that I have successfully left you all at a loss for words, I will let you get to bed. Harry and Ginny, you already know the way. Ron and Hermione, I will personally escort you to your quarters."

Harry and Ginny wished Ron and Hermione a good night and left. Ron and Hermione followed Dumbledore out of his office and down the corridor. Dumbledore explained the situation with the Heads' quarters as they walked.

"We've decided to try something new this year," he said, stopping by a statue of a Peruvian Vipertooth. "Head Boy and Head Girl will have their own quarters this year." As Ron and Hermione exchanged surprised looks, Dumbledore tapped the dragon statue with his wand and said, "Dragon's blood."

With a loud rumbling noise, the statue descended through a trapdoor in the floor, revealing a passage beyond. Ron and Hermione followed Dumbledore into their quarters. As the stone passage opened up into their rooms, Ron and Hermione stood in awe. "I will leave you two to get acquainted with your new living space," Dumbledore said with a smile, as he went back down the passage.

"Bloody Hell!" Ron exclaimed.

"I agree," Hermione whispered, as they took in their surroundings.

A large, open area carpeted in scarlet surrounded them. Right in front of them was a large fountain. A statue of the Gryffindor lion was in the center, water streaming out of it's mouth into the large, circular basin beneath. Paintings of various magical creatures adorned the walls. On either side of the room was a spiral staircase, each leading up to a small balcony with a door. On the ground floor under each balcony, was another door. The back wall boasted an ornate, stone fireplace, with large book-covered shelves off to either side. In front of the fireplace was a plush, crimson sofa and armchairs, and a hammered copper table.

Ron broke out of his stupor and hurried up the staircase to the left. Opening the door and surveying the inside of the room, he yelled, "Hey, 'Mione, I think this one's yours!" Hermione joined Ron up the left staircase.

A cozy, plush, sand-colored carpet covered the floor and a large, queen-sized loft bed ran along the back wall. The bed was covered in plump pillows and a dark, golden-colored down comforter. Crimson curtains hanging from the bottom of the bed, were drawn back to reveal a study area underneath. There was a large, carved wooden desk and chair, along with more bookshelves. A painting of the Gryffindor lion covered the entire left-hand wall, and there was a small sitting area off to the right.

"It's so beautiful!" Hermione breathed.

"I'm going to check out my room," Ron said, running down the left staircase, and up the right. Hermione followed him.

There was a more masculine feel to the other room. Everything was done in rich shades of burghandy. Ron also had a small sitting area, and his right-hand wall boasted a wall-to-wall painting of a Hebridean Black. Ron's bed was a large, platform, four-poster bed. The coverings on his bed were done in the rich burghandy, and looked as soft as a cloud. Unlike Hermione's room, the floor was done in hard wood, with a large Oriental rug in the center.

"This is great!" Ron exclaimed, flopping down on his bed. "Care to join me?"

"No, I don't think so, Ronald. There are still two rooms downstairs. I'm going to have a look." Since she obviously wasn't going to join him, Ron decided to follow along.

The door under Ron's room led to a large bathroom. The floor was done in dark red and gold square tiles. There were two pedestal sinks with a large oval mirror in between them on the back wall. And set into the middle of the floor was a huge, circle-shaped tub.

"Care to join me here?" Ron asked suggestively.

Hermione sighed loudly and rolled her eyes. "Ron, please control yourself. We have one more door left." Ron, again defeated, followed Hermione to inspect the last room.

This room turned out to be a small kitchen. Inside were all of the things you needed to make a meal; refridgerator, sink, stove, and lots of counter space. Off in the corner was a small breakfast table with two chairs. Crookshanks was currently curled up in one of the chairs, sleeping. What was odd, was that the table was spread with food. There were platters of sausage and potatoes, freshly baked bread, a pot of hot tea, and a pan of sticky buns.

"Who do you suppose cooked all of this?" Ron asked, grabbing a sausage and stuffing it into his mouth.

Hermione's face took on an unbelieving look, as the tumblers in her brain clicked into place. "It couldn't be, could it?"

As if on cue, a door leading to a small pantry opened, and Zeppie walked out. "Oh! Missy Hermy and Mr. Wheezy! Zeppie was not expecting you so soon! Zeppie made you a snack."

Hermione placed her hands on her hips. "Zeppie, what are you doing here? You said you would stay with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley."

Zeppie picked at the edge of his vibrant orange jumper. "Zeppie is thinking a lot about what Missy Hermy said. Zeppie decided to go where Zeppie wanted to. Zeppie wanted to come where Missy Hermy was."

Hermione's expression softened. "Well, I guess I really can't be mad at you, since it was a choice you made on your own. It's a good sign that maybe you're finally getting some independance. After all, I'm not your master, and I can't tell you what to do. Maybe you can even meet some of the other house-elves while you are here. I'm sure Dobby would love to meet you."

"Hey, 'Mione, let's take some of this food and go sit in front of the fire," Ron suggested, grabbing the sausages and potatoes.

"Okay, Ron, this time I WILL join you." Hermione gathered up the sticky buns, the pot of tea, and two mugs, and followed Ron out of the kitchen and over to the fire.

No sooner had they started their fireplace picnic, when the door to their room opened and Dumbledore walked in. "I am sorry to bother you two. I know the hour is late, and it looks like you are enjoying a wonderful snack. I have two orders of business. First off, do you like your new rooms? Do you find them lacking in any accomodations?"

"Oh no, Professor," Hermione was quick to answer. "Everything is simply wonderful."

"Yeah, it's brilliant!" Ron assured him.

"Splendid....splendid, I'm glad you find it to your liking. Now the other matter I am here about is the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor."

"Has he safely arrived?" Hermione asked.

"Yes, Miss Granger, he has. He has requested to have a word with the both of you. Might I invite him in?"

"Oh yes, please do," Hermione said, as Ron shoved a whole sticky bun in his mouth. "We've been wondering all summer who it could be."

Dumbledore nodded and exited down the corridor to invite the new professor in. When Dumbledore returned, he had someone very familiar with him.

Ron choked down the rest of the bun he'd been eating. "You?" he asked in surprise. "You're the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor?"


A/n: Well, does anyone have any guesses as to who it could be? I'm interested to see who everyone has in mind and see if anyone guesses it right. Of course, I won't tell you if you do. You'll just have to wait for chapter 7 :)

Lurking in the Forest by CraftySlytherin

A/N: I’m not J.K. Rowling. There…I said it. I don’t claim to own any of her characters, only the plot. All of you readers are so smart! You’re all very good guessers!! Wanna find out why this is called the Year of the Dragon? Read on! By the way, it has nothing to do with their new professor. Look for clues at the end!


Ron stared in disbelief at the man standing in front of him; the man who just happened to be his older brother. “Charlie? You’re our new professor?”

“That’s right, little brother. Dumbledore put the word out that he needed a Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. Things are pretty slow at the dragon reserve right now, so I volunteered. I did train as an Auror before I went to Romania.”

“Wicked! I think you’ll make a terrific professor, Charlie!”

“That’s Professor Weasley to you,” Charlie said with a smile. “I won’t keep you two up, I just wanted to surprise you. Hey, Ron, don’t tell Ginny I’m here. I want to see the look on her face when she comes to class tomorrow.”

“All right, Charlie, I won’t say anything.”

Dumbledore and Charlie bade Ron and Hermione a goodnight and left. “I can’t believe you brother is our new professor.”

“Neither can I, but I’m sure he’ll do a brilliant job. Well, ‘Mione, I’m going to bed. We DO have classes in the morning after all.”

“Why, Ron, I’m proud of you! You’re actually thinking about your classes for a change. Goodnight then.” Hermione languidly kissed Ron before heading up the stairs to her room. Ron watched her go, wondering if she had any idea of how she affected him.


The next morning at breakfast, the Great Hall was full of chattering students. Luna had totally forgone the Ravenclaw table and was sitting at the again deserted end of the Slytherin table with Draco. He was watching her with a hint of a smile on his face, as she pointed out an article in the latest edition of the Quibbler.

Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny were chatting over their breakfast of sausage, eggs, porridge, and apple fritters.

“So, how’s the new dorm rooms?” Harry asked, grabbing an apple fritter.

“Oh! They’re wicked, mate!” exclaimed Ron. “You and Ginny have GOT to come up this evening. There’s even a kitchen and we can have snacks!”

“Look, Harry, the newlyweds are inviting us up to their new flat,” Ginny teased.

“Very funny, Gin,” Hermione said. “But you should come up. Zeppie will be happy to see you.”

“Zeppie’s here?” asked Harry. “I thought he was going to stay at Grimmauld Place.”

“That’s what I thought too,” Hermione said earnestly. “Apparently he changed his mind. I think it’s excellent. He’s finally making some decisions for himself.”

“E ha anuffer izitor wastite,” Ron said through a mouthful of fritter.

“Honestly, Ronald, if you’re not going to teach us all how to translate what you’re saying with a full mouth, at least chew and swallow before you talk.”

Ron swallowed his food. “I was just trying to tell Harry and Ginny that we had another visitor last night. We met the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor.”

Ginny’s eyes grew wide. “You did? Who is it?”

“Sorry, Gin. He made me promise not to tell.”

Ginny got to her feet, looking like a cat who’d just had it’s tail stepped on. “Ronald Weasley, I thought we told each other everything now! You are VERY lucky that I have that class first today, or I’d be tempted to hex you silly!” Ginny grabbed up her bag and turned to leave. “Coming, Harry?”

“I’ll catch up with you two in a minute,” Harry said to Ron and Hermione, before turning and following Ginny out of the Great Hall.


Since Ron had made no promises not to tell Harry, he had informed Harry of the identity of the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor. As the trio made their way to Defense Against the Dark Arts, their last class of the day, they were filled with anticipation. When they entered, they saw Charlie setting a large box on a table at the front of the classroom.

“Hey, Professor Weasley,” Ron said with amusement. Charlie turned to flash them a smile.

“Hey you three! Go ahead and sit down. I think you’ll like the lesson I’ve got planned.”

Ron, Hermione, and Harry took their usual seats as the rest of the class began to file in. Outside the classroom, the Trio could see Luna throw her arms around Draco in a bone-crushing hug and then stroll off. Draco entered and took a seat in the far corner of the room, away from everyone else. As soon as everyone entered, Charlie began to address the class.

“All right, you lot, I’m your new professor.” He tapped his wand on the blackboard and the words ‘Professor Weasley’ appeared. “That’s me…Professor Weasley. Before we get started on the lesson, I’d like to go over some of the things we’ll be covering in this class. We’ll be having very short reviews on some of the spells and creatures that you’ve already gone over; just a bit of a refresher. After that, my job is to prepare you for the troubled times we’re living in. We’ll cover some all new spells and study some of the creatures that may show up in the fight against Voldemort.”

Almost everyone in the class gasped at once. Charlie smiled as he continued. “Yes, I’m not afraid to say his name. I expect you all to get over the fear of saying his name as well. After all, fear of a name only increases fear of the thing itself. Let’s try it together on the count of three. 1…2…3, VOLDEMORT.” A few people said it right out loud with Charlie, while the rest could barely bring themselves to whisper it.

Again, Charlie smiled. “Well, not too bad for a first try. We’ll try it again later, until every last one of you can say it out loud and not flinch. Now we’ll move on to today’s lesson.”

Charlie tapped his wand on the large box and the sides fell away. Inside the box were a good number of dragon models; very like the ones from the Triwizard Tournament. There were Hungarian Horntails and Hebridean Blacks; two of the more aggressive species. The little dragon models prowled around the tabletop, occasionally letting out tiny roars or stretching their wings. Charlie definitely had the class’s attention.

“Now then, we’re going to be using these little guys to practice a new type of Shield charm. It is believed that Voldemort, say it with me…VOLDEMORT, has found a way to bewitch dragons and get them to do his bidding. This will help protect you against dragon fire should you ever be confronted by one.”

Charlie picked up a Hebridean Black model and set it on his desk. “To get them to breath fire at you, simply tap the dragon model on the head with your wand. You’ll have a five second delay before the fire is breathed in which to cast your Dragon Shield charm. Watch closely.”

Charlie faced the dragon model and tapped it on the head with his wand. The dragon took in a large breath to prepare, and Charlie swirled his wand over his head yelling, “Contego Drakon!”

A glittering blue cloud poured from the end of his wand, enveloping Charlie in a swirling mist. The Hebridean Black let forth an impressive burst of flame. As soon as it hit the shield, the plumes of flame turned to ice which fell to the floor and shattered. Most everyone in the classroom clapped and cheered. Charlie picked up the dragon model and returned it to the table with the others. With a tap of his wand the sides of the box sprang up, once again enclosing the dragon models.

“Today we’ll simply be working on the incantation itself. Once you can all produce a sufficient Dragon Shield charm, we’ll move on to using these little guys. For now, let’s all pair up and get to work. Remember the incantation…Contego Drakon.”

Hermione and Ron immediately paired up. Harry started to head for Neville, until he noticed Draco. Back in his lonely corner, no one seemed to want Draco for a partner. Swallowing his pride and tamping down memories of their rivalry, Harry slowly approached Draco.

“Hey, Malfoy. If you don’t already have a partner, I’ll work with you.”

Draco tried to put on his trademark sneer, but found that for some reason it wouldn’t come. When he lifted his eyes to meet Harry’s, they held an uncharacteristic look; a look of thankfulness. “All right, Potter. That’ll be fine. And I told you…call me Draco.”

“The only way I’ll call you that is if you call me Harry.”

“All right, Harry it is. Of course, this doesn’t mean I want to be your friend.” Draco’s voice held a tone of uncertainty.

Harry smiled. “No, of course not. That’d be silly.”

With their new ‘not friends, just partners’ arrangement in place, Draco and Harry set to work on their Dragon Shield charms. By the end of class, Harry and Draco were the only ones who’d managed a full shield.

“Excellent job everyone, especially Harry and Draco. If you keep it up, we should be ready to use the models sometime next week. Now before you leave, say it with me one more time. VOLDEMORT. Much, much better. I’ll see you all tomorrow!”


Dinner in the Great Hall was a chatty affair that night. Everyone was chatting about Professor Weasley’s class.

“Well of course I was shocked to no end when I saw him,” Ginny told Ron, Harry, and Hermione. “I think Charlie’s going to be an excellent professor. He’s got us doing spell work right off, instead of reviewing from our books.”

Further discussion of Charlie’s class was cut short as Dumbledore stood and called for everyone’s attention. “I have an announcement to make. As all of you well know, now is the time when it becomes most important to strive for unity between the four houses. Keeping this in mind, myself and your other professors have come up with several events that will take place over the course of this year designed to promote the unity we seek. Each individual event will be announced a month before it is scheduled. It is now my pleasure to announce that our first event will be a Unity Ball. Everyone who is in their fourth year and up may attend.” Dumbledore paused to let the announcement sink in before continuing.

“There is a catch to this ball. As it is for house unity, everyone must arrive at and spend the first hour of the ball with someone from a different house. Now before you all get in an uproar, let me finish. You must spend the first hour with your date from another house. After that hour is up you may return to your usual group. This is merely a chance for you all to possibly make some new friends.”

Luna, who was again sitting with Draco, got up and stood on her seat. “I want everyone in the whole school to know that I’m going to the Unity Ball with my new Slytherin friend Draco. Thank you.”

“That is the idea, Miss Lovegood,” Dumbledore said smiling. “A fine example for the rest of you to follow.” Luna had sat back down next to a slightly embarrassed, but grateful Draco.

Dumbledore continued. “Our third years and under will also have an event Halloween night. For them we offer a moonlight costume party by the lake; a chance to mingle with other students regardless of their house. Getting back to the older students, a cask will be set up by the entrance to the Great Hall. Any boy who wishes to attend will draw the name of their partner from the cask. It will be enchanted to automatically give the name of someone from another house. I hope it will be an enjoyable experience for you all. Now, I bid you all a fond goodnight.”

Ron speared one last treacle tart. “Well, I don’t want to go to a ball with anyone but you, ‘Mione. I just won’t go.”

“Me neither,” agreed Harry.

Hermione shook her head and looked at Ron. “Of course you’ll go. As Head Boy and Head Girl we should be prepared to support unity between the houses. And besides, we can get together after the first hour, silly.”

Ginny nodded her head in agreement. “Hermione’s right, Harry. As much as I hate the idea of you going to a ball with someone else, loads of people at Hogwarts look up to you. If they see you going along with Dumbledore, they’re likely to follow suit. It’ll be a great way to get to know people from other houses better. Come on, you two, let’s go draw names for you.”

Hermione and Ginny dragged Harry and Ron out to where the cask sat. Not many people were in line to draw names, but as soon as Harry and Ron were there, the line lengthened considerably. Ron made it to the front of the line first. Taking a deep breath, he reached in and pulled out a slip of parchment.

“I’ve got Hannah Abbott,” he said with obvious relief. “She’s pretty nice. I was sure I’d get Millicent Bulstrode. You next, Harry.”

Harry closed his eyes and reached into the cask. “Please not a Slytherin,” he whispered under his breath, as he drew out a name. Unfortunately the parchment was not in his favor. “Cindra Blackthorpe,” Harry read. “Who’s she?”

“She’s a sixth year like me,” Ginny answered. “She’s also a Slytherin.”

Harry smacked himself on the forehead. “Just my luck!”

“Don’t worry, Harry. All Slytherins can’t be bad. Let’s go find her and let her know.” Ginny dragged Harry along, as Ron and Hermione went to find Hannah Abbott.

Ginny guided Harry over to a girl wearing Slytherin robes. She was tall and willowy, with curly, shoulder-length black hair. She had a very apprehensive look on her face as Harry and Ginny approached.

“Hello, Cindra,” Ginny said in greeting.

“Ginevra. To what do I owe the pleasure?”

“Harry just drew your name as a partner for the ball.”

“Really? How terribly fascinating. I did have a mere interest in going. I suppose Harry will be acceptable as a partner, even if he is a Gryffindor. I have just been speaking with Blaise Zabini. He also will be going with a Gryffindor; you as a matter of fact, Ginevra. Well, I’m off. Ta!” With a dismissive wave of her hand, Cindra was gone.

“Well, she’s a bit stuck-up. It should make for an interesting hour,” Harry said.

Ginny leaned up and kissed him on the tip of his nose. “Don’t be upset, Harry. Looks like I’ll be going with a Slytherin too. Maybe we’ll all sit together.”

Ron and Hermione came up beside them. “Well, we’re both going with Hufflepuffs. I’ve got Hannah, and Hermione’s going with Ernie MacMillon. How about you two?” asked Ron.

Ginny scrunched up her nose. “Nope. We weren’t that lucky. Harry and I are both going with Slytherins.”

“Can we please talk about something else?” Harry asked. He as not looking forward to spending an hour with Cindra.

“Hey!” Ron exclaimed. “How about you two coming up and checking out our rooms?”

“That IS a good idea,” said Hermione. “Maybe you can help me convince Zeppie to go be with the other house-elves down in the kitchen. He won’t stop laying out my clothes and making me snacks.”

A sudden flash of inspiration hit Harry. “You two girls go on ahead. Ron, come with me. Don’t worry, we’ll be right behind you.”


Hermione and Ginny were sitting in front of the fireplace eating chocolate trifle when Ron and Harry got there. “Chocolate trifle! Excellent!” Ron exclaimed, rushing forward to grab a dish.

“Where’s Zeppie?” Harry asked. “I’ve brought someone to meet him.”

“He’s in the kitchen trying to feed Crookshanks. I don’t think poor Crooks can eat anymore. Zeppie told me he’s already fed him five times today!”

As if on cue, Zeppie came out of the kitchen. “Missy Hermy’s cat won’t eat anymore. Can Zeppie get anything else for Missy Hermy to eat?”

“No, Zeppie, the trifle is excellent. Come sit with us. Harry’s brought someone for you to meet.” Zeppie skipped over and sat down on the floor next to Hermione’s chair.

Harry turned in the direction of the door and called, “All right, Dobby. Come on in!”

There was a loud crack, and Dobby appeared in front of the fireplace. On his head he still wore all of the hats Hermione had knitted during her fourth year. “Zeppie, this is Dobby. Dobby is a free house-elf, like you. He works here at Hogwarts but gets paid and even gets days off.”

Zeppie got to his feet and approached Dobby, staring adoringly at the stack of knitted hats on Dobby’s head. “It is being a long time since Zeppie last saw Dobby. Dobby has acquired many fine hats.”

Dobby pulled an orange and purple striped hat with a blue pom-pom off of his head. “Dobby would be most happy for his old friend Zeppie to have a hat.” Dobby handed the hat to Zeppie, who took it eagerly and perched it upon his head.

“Zeppie’s old friend Dobby is too kind.”

“Old friend?” Harry asked. “You two already know each other, Dobby?”

“Oh yes, Harry Potter, sir. Dobby and Zeppie’s families were friends. Dobby is most happy to see his friend away from his terrible family.” Dobby felt no need to punish himself, for it wasn’t the Malfoys he was talking about.

“Zeppie, wouldn’t you like to go with Dobby and see the Hogwarts kitchen and all of the other house-elves?” Hermione prompted. “You two can catch up.”

“Oh! Dobby would like nothing better! Will Zeppie come with Dobby? Winky will be most happy to see Zeppie.”

“Winky is here? Zeppie has longed so to see her! Zeppie will come with Dobby.” With a quick goodbye to the four teens, Zeppie and Dobby popped out of the room.

“How wicked is that?” Ron asked, helping himself to another liberal portion of trifle. “Here we were thinking we were introducing them, and they’re already friends! Looks like he knows Winky too.”

“Maybe Dobby can help bring Zeppie around. It’ll do him good to be around an already liberated house-elf. So, are we all on for the first Hogsmeade trip this weekend? We can all look for new things to wear to the Unity Ball.” Hermione saw Harry frown at her mention of the ball.

“Hermione sure is gung-ho about us all helping with the unity thing,” he thought. “All right, Hermione. We’ll all go. But I’ll be looking for robes to wear with Ginny after that first hour, not because of Cindra.”


A lemony yellow sun and a cool, lazy breeze accompanied Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione on their way to the village of Hogsmeade. Padfoot frolicked happily around the group; as far as the leash Ginny held would allow.

“Do you really think you’ll be able to take him into all the shops?” Ron asked.

“I couldn’t leave my little Padfoot behind,” Ginny crooned, stopping to scratch his ears. “He’s been cooped up and needed some fresh air.”

Padfoot eagerly licked Ginny’s hand before she stood up and continued on. As they walked past the Forbidden Forest, Padfoot suddenly stopped, wildly sniffing the air. He gave a few sharp yips and tried to take off in the direction of the trees. When he reached the limit of his leash, he strained against it with all his might.

“Padfoot, you silly, what are you doing?” Ginny asked, as she tried to coax the dog back. Padfoot barked in answer and pulled against the leash with renewed force. After a particularly sharp tug on Padfoot’s part, the leash slipped out of Ginny’s hands. Padfoot tore off into the forest.

“Padfoot, NO! Come back here!” Ginny ran after her fleeing pet.

Harry, Ron, and Hermione followed closely behind Ginny, as they left the path and went into the forest. Tree branches whipped against them, and their skin was scratched by brambles as the foursome followed Padfoot’s retreating barks. Finally his barks stopped.

They broke out of the trees and into a clearing. Ginny spotted Padfoot running in circles, yipping excitedly.

“There you are, Padfoot you silly boy. Come here.”

Padfoot, however, had different ideas. He trotted across to the other side of the clearing and began to lick something that was sticking out of a grove of elm trees. It was large, pearly, glittering, and looked like a leg; a dragon leg.


A/N: The charm Charlie taught the class, Contego Drakon, roughly means dragon shield. In latin, Contego means to shield, and Drakon means dragon. Okay! Now for a contest! The first person to correctly identify the type of dragon mentioned at the end of the chapter, will get to be in my story!!!!!!!!!

Morgan's Tale by CraftySlytherin

A/N: Yes! Here it is. I finally got chapter 8 submitted! So by now you all know I’m not J.K. Rowling, but I just thought I’d remind you. Hope this was worth the wait!


Luna was humming happily as she strolled along next to Draco on the way to Hogsmeade. She was currently sporting a bright pink shirt with black lettering which read ‘I’m with Draco’. Luna had made a shirt for Draco as well, which he was wearing, but under a dark green jumper. His shirt read ‘I do, I Do, I DO believe in Blue-Crested Willawomps’. As they made their way towards the little village, Luna reached her hand over and absentmindedly twined her fingers with Draco’s, humming the whole time. She swung her and Draco’s arms to the tune she hummed.

Draco glanced sideways at his friend, thinking that he couldn’t remember the last time he’d felt happy like this. Luna came across to most people as rather odd. Draco had become accustomed to her eccentricities. Luna’s actions had embarrassed him a bit at first, but that had faded quickly. As Draco studied Luna, his now familiar conscience piped up.

“She’s rather lovely, don’t you think?”

“Well…sure she’s lovely.”

“You want to kiss her, don’t you? You know you do!”

“NO! She’s…she’s my friend. I don’t want to do anything to screw that up. If I didn’t have her friendship, whose would I have?”

“Maybe Harry Potter. He DID offer to be your partner in class.”

“No way! How could I be friends with Harry? We…we hate each other!”

“Do you…really? I think, Draco, that you are in serious denial.”

Luna’s voice broke into Draco’s reverie. “We’re getting closer, Draco.”

“Uh…um, closer?”

“Yeah, closer to Hogsmeade. Where should we go first?”

“Oh yeah, right…closer to Hogsmeade.”

“Stupid conscience! Now you’ve got me getting all flustered over nothing!”

“Draco?”

“Uh…let’s go get a butterbeer at the Three Broomsticks first.”

Luna, still clutching Draco’s hand, dragged him through the village and into the noisy pub. They found a small, corner table by a large, stone fireplace. Luna settled in while Draco went to get the butterbeer. As Draco waited for their drinks, he looked around the pub. It wasn’t terribly crowded yet, as most Hogwarts students preferred to do their shopping before stopping by for refreshment. This was Draco’s favorite time to come.

As he carried the tall mugs of butterbeer back to Luna, he noticed a frown on her usually smiling face. “What’s the matter, pet?” Draco asked, sitting down next to her and handing her a drink.

“A man stopped by while you were gone. He gave me the shivers. At first I thought there might be a Wrackspurt in here, then I realized it was just him. He told me to give you this.”

Luna handed Draco a rolled up parchment closed with a wax seal. Draco recognized the seal as the Malfoy crest. Taking a deep breath, Draco broke the seal, and unrolled the parchment to read his father’s latest correspondence.

So…you’ve found yourself a little girlfriend; how quaint. You’ll have to keep an eye on her. You never can tell when she might go missing. Isn’t she one of the brats that was in the group that landed me in Azkaban? How poor your taste in friends is, Draco. I have such interesting plans for those meddlesome fools who got me arrested, but not as interesting as what I have in mind for you; no, not nearly as interesting. And where are the idiots who are supposed to be keeping watch over you? How easy it was to slip past them! They really thought their disguises could fool me. I’m much too clever for that. Instead, I was able to fool them. I could do it again right now, you know. I could snatch you and your little girlfriend right out from under their noses, but the time isn’t right. I have so many things to prepare. But don’t worry, Draco, I’ll be seeing you…soon.

Draco crumpled up the letter in fury and threw it into the fire, concern for Luna spreading through his every fiber.

“Is it bad, Draco?” Luna asked with concern.

Draco took both of Luna’s hands into his own and stared deeply into her eyes. “Why do you want to be my friend, Luna? I’m afraid associating with me at this point could be dangerous. You should run away from me now. You should go…and not look back.”

Luna squeezed Draco’s hands and flashed him her dreamy smile. “If I didn’t have you, I would have no one. And I’d rather have no one if you wouldn’t be my friend.”

“But, Luna, being my friend could bring you harm. I don’t think I could stand it. I WON’T put you in danger.”

Luna continued to smile at Draco. “Well, I don’t care what you say. You can’t MAKE me go away…I won’t do it. If being with you puts me in danger, and being away from you means safety, then I choose danger. Danger’s more exciting anyways. Besides…your friendship has been the most important of my life.” For all of Luna’s oddness, once in a while she had something truly profound to say.

Through the fear Draco felt for his friend, he smiled a little. “All right, if you won’t stay away, I guess I’ll just have to be your bodyguard. We can’t have anyone messing with my date to the Unity Ball, now can we? Let’s go see if we can find you a smashing new set of robes.”

As Draco and Luna left the Three Broomsticks, he draped a protective arm around her shoulders. Luna smiled that dreamy smile up at Draco, and again he couldn’t help but notice the beauty she possessed that no one else seemed to have recognized.

“Told you that you like her…like that,” his conscience piped up.

“Oh shut up!”


Back in the clearing in the Forbidden Forest, Ginny was trying in vain to call Padfoot back from what definitely appeared to be a dragon. “Oh, Padfoot! Get over here before you get hurt!” Ginny quietly urged, not wanting to alert the dragon to their presence. Ginny realized that she had been unsuccessful, as the dragon made it’s way out of the trees and into the clearing, Padfoot yipping happily at it’s feet.

Even though it was a huge, fire-breathing dragon, it was quite beautiful. Sunlight beamed down into the clearing, making shiny, crystalline patterns against the dragon’s iridescent, pearly scales. Glittering, multi-colored eyes studied the group of terrified teens.

Ron momentarily forgot that they were standing in front of a creature that could flambé them in seconds. “That’s an Antipodean Opaleye! But they’re Australian dragons! What’s it doing in Scotland?”

“Well, mate, you can’t expect me to hang around the Outback all my life. I decided I needed a bit of sightseeing.”

Ron’s face took on a look not unlike that of when he was confronted with spiders. “Did…did that dragon just talk, or am I going nutters?”

“Nah, you’re not off your rocker. I can talk. And don’t worry little girl, I won’t hurt your little crup.” None of the four could seem to find the words to address a speaking dragon.

“Come on now, kangaroo got your tongue?”

“It’s just, well…we didn’t know a dragon could talk,” Harry explained. “It’s a bit unnerving.”

“Don’t worry, I understand. But I’m not really a dragon, I’m a witch. This is my Animagus form. It’ll have to do though, cause I’m afraid I’m stuck like this.”

“You mean, you can’t change back?” Harry asked.

The dragon shook it’s head. “’Fraid not.”

“Can you tell us why?” Ginny asked. “And tell us your name so we know what to call you.”

“Well, the name’s Mortigana Thorncrest, but you can call me Morgan. If you’d like to hear my tale, have a seat.”

Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione sat down in the soft grass of the clearing. Padfoot scurried to get into Ginny’s lap, curling up and closing his eyes. Morgan sat down on her scaly haunches and began her story.

“I received my magical education at a school along the southern coast of Australia called Rockmarner Academy. I’m afraid I wasn’t always a very nice person. I tended to be a bit selfish and self-centered. There was a very clever witch named Millie Rosecroft who attended Rockmarner with me. I made it my mission to make her life miserable; quite bad judgment on my part. By the time we graduated, I had completed all of my Animagus requirements and had registered with the Australian branch of the Improper Use of Magic office. After we graduated, I decided that before I left Rockmarner, I had to play one final, ace prank on Millie. Now, sufficed to say, I wish I hadn’t. I won’t go into the details of what I did right now; I’m still ashamed to think of it. Needless to say, Millie was outraged. Like I mentioned before, she was quite a clever witch. She was able to use a hex on me that I’d never heard of before. After she cast the hex, Millie informed me that until I got over my selfish ways and could perform a truly selfless act, I would be stuck in my Animagus form.”

“But that’s awful!” Hermione exclaimed.

“It wasn’t as awful as how I’d been to Millie. Of course after it happened, I was deeply ashamed. I never went back to my family. I spent my first few years as a dragon hanging around the Australian Outback. After a while, I got bored with the scenery. Ever since then I’ve been traveling all over the world. I’m always very careful to not get spotted by Muggles.”

“I still don’t understand how you can talk,” Hermione noted. “I mean, I don’t know of any other wizard who can talk in their Animagus form.”

“Ah…that’s fairly easy to explain. I’ve spent the past ten years of my life as a dragon, hiding myself from wizards and Muggles alike. It got very lonely never hearing a voice…not even my own. Lucky for me, dragons are magical creatures. Over the years I was able to slowly retrain and reshape my dragon vocal chords. After about eight years, I was again capable of human speech. Since then I’ve spent a lot of time talking to myself. Conversation with myself was better than no conversation at all.”

“So…what brings you to this particular part of Scotland?” Ginny asked.

“Actually, I’m looking for someone. I’ve recently contracted an annoying dragon virus. I’m not sure what it is, but I itch all over! Anyways, amongst my travels I’ve heard that your school is home to a man who is quite good with magical creatures; Hagrid’s his name I believe. I was hoping he might be able to help me.”

“Oh yeah, Hagrid’s great! If anyone can help you, he can,” Harry said with assurance.

“My brother Charlie’s up at the school too,” Ron added. “He works on a dragon reserve, so he knows loads about dragons.”

“And you’d be willing to get Hagrid and Charlie to have a look at me?”

“Sure, Morgan, no problem. We’ll stop by Hagrid’s on our way back to the castle,” said Harry.

“And I’ll let Charlie know about you too,” offered Ron.

“That’d be great; very stand-up of you,” Morgan said. “Would you four come back to see me as well? It’s been years since I’ve had someone to talk to, and I’ve enjoyed the conversation.”

“Sure, we’ll come back,” Ron said.

“Well, I’ll let you four get to it then,” Morgan said. “I’m feeling a bit knackered anyways. G’day!” Morgan tromped back into the grove of elm trees, her tail snaking out behind her.

Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny carefully made their way back out of the forest, trying hard not to add to the scratches on their arms. Deciding that Morgan was more pressing business, they skipped the path to Hogsmeade and headed back to the school. Ron and Hermione ran back up to the school to fetch Charlie, while Harry and Ginny headed straight for Hagrid’s cabin. They casually chatted with Hagrid, deciding to save the news of Morgan until Ron and Hermione got there with Charlie. Hagrid had just taken the kettle off of the fire for tea when they arrived. He ushered them in and offered them chairs, while he busied himself with the tea.

“All righ’ now, Charlie’s here. What’s this important thin’ yeh had to tell us?” Hagrid asked, pausing from his tea preparations to throw a scrap of meat to a suspicious looking creature in the corner.

Ron, who was still in awe over the presence of a talking dragon in the forest, began. “Well, we were heading to Hogsmeade when Padfoot here got loose and ran off into the forest.”

Ginny scratched the writhing bundle in her lap between the ears. “That’s because you’re such a smart boy, aren’t you Padfoot?”

Ron rolled his eyes. “Anyways, we ran after him and ended up in a clearing…and there was a talking dragon!”

Charlie looked at his brother quizzically. “Ron, I thought you knew enough about dragons to know that it’s impossible for them to talk. And what would a dragon be doing in the forest? They usually prefer caves and wide open spaces.”

“Charlie, I haven’t gone mad. It really was there…and it DID talk!”

Hermione rolled her eyes. “What Ron is so eloquently trying to say is that the dragon in the forest is actually a witch named Morgan. She was hexed and has been stuck in her Animagus form for the last ten years.”

“She’s been traveling all over the place,” continued Harry. “Apparently she’s come down with some kind of dragon virus, and she’s heard Hagrid’s name mentioned in her travels. She thought you might be able to help her.”

Hagrid’s eyes had glazed over and a dreamy expression had come over his bearded face. “Yeh really mean it? There’s really an’ truly a dragon out in tha’ forest?” Hagrid seemed to be conveniently forgetting the fact that the dragon was in fact a witch. The four teens recognized the look on Hagrid’s face as he poured their tea, overfilling the cups. Hermione leaped up to grab a rag, and began to mop up the rivers of tea before anyone got a scalding lapful.

Charlie however, had paid close attention. “Well, if Hagrid and I are going to help Morgan, we’ll need to know about how old she is, where she’s from, and what type of dragon her Animagus form is.”

Hermione began to mentally calculate. “Well, Morgan said she was hexed right after she graduated, so she was probably about seventeen when it happened. If she’s been a dragon for ten years, I guess that would make her about twenty-seven. And Morgan told us she’s from Australia. She’s an…”

“Morgan’s an Antipodean Opaleye, Charlie!” Ron said excitedly, cutting Hermione off. “You should see her! She’s the most beautiful dragon I’ve ever seen!”

If it was possible, Hagrid’s expression seemed to go even dreamier. The look on his face could have given Luna’s dreamiest look a run for it’s money. “An Opaleye? I always wanted at see an Opaleye.”

“All right, Hagrid,” Charlie said, trying to bring Hagrid back down to earth. “Let’s get some supplies and go pay Morgan a visit.”

Hagrid shook himself out of his reverie and began fumbling around for things they might need. Harry told Charlie where they could find Morgan, and the group left the cabin. Charlie had to walk quickly to keep up with the obviously excited Hagrid.

As Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione headed for the castle, they decided to split up.

“Uh, Ginny and I are going to take Padfoot for a walk around the lake; give him a chance to stretch his legs a bit,” Harry said, giving Ginny a meaningful glance.

“All right, mate, we’ll catch up with you later.”

Harry nodded, took Ginny’s hand, and they set out for the lake. Ron turned his attention back to Hermione. “So, what do you want to do?”

Hermione, who’d been quiet since Ron’s last outburst at Hagrid’s, answered him a bit stiffly. “Well, I have some studying to do. You can do whatever you want.” She quickened her pace and entered the castle.

Ron was confused. He went back through his memory, trying to think of anything that could have gotten her mad at him. It didn’t take him long to figure out what it must have been. Ron entered the castle and ran to catch up with Hermione. When he was right behind her, he grabbed her arm and spun her around.

“All right, ‘Mione, what’s wrong?”

“Nothing, RONALD. Why don’t you just go back to your BEAUTIFUL dragon and let me go study?”

“’Mione, are you jealous? You can’t really be jealous of a dragon!”

“I can be jealous of whatever I please.”

“’Mione, Morgan’s a twenty-seven year old witch who’s a dragon!” Hermione kept her eyes downcast and her lips clamped together tightly.

“All right, you give me no choice,” Ron said, dragging a protesting Hermione into an empty classroom. He pulled her firmly up against him, clamping his arms around her in a vise-like fashion. “I’ll just have to SHOW you that you have no reason to be jealous, Hot Lips.” Ron roughly pressed his lips against Hermione’s, until her struggling died down.


They emerged from the classroom forty-five minutes and one very happy, not jealous Hermione later. With clasped hands and smiles on their puffy lips, Ron and Hermione entered their dorms.

“So NOW what do you want to do?” asked naughty Ron, waggling his eyebrows at Hermione.

“I really do need to do some studying, Ron. Maybe you should join me?” Hermione suggested. They each ran up to their rooms to fetch books and then settled down on the sofa in front of the fire. Neither one of them had cracked a book before there were two loud pops. Two house-elves stood in front of them.

“Zeppie!” Hermione exclaimed. “And…Winky?”

Winky didn’t look the same as the last time they’d seen her; disheveled and drowning her sorrows in butterbeer. She was wearing a clean, pink sailor dress with a matching hat. She had a smile on her face…and she was holding Zeppie’s hand.

“Hello, Missy Hermy and Mister Wheezy, sir. Zeppie is coming to introduce Missy Hermy to Zeppie’s wife, Winky.”


A/N: Congratulations to Morgan for winning my contest! I’ll be posting a new one at the end of chapter 9. Also, thanks to Aussie Girl, GringottsVault711, and Asphyxiated for all of their help with Aussie terms.

Love Bites by CraftySlytherin

A/N: Hello all of my faithful readers! Sorry this move is causing me to delay my updates, but here’s the next one. As you all probably know by now, I’m not J.K. Rowling. Hope you’ll forgive me for twisting her characters to my own whim!


While Ron was busy making Hermione not jealous in a random, empty classroom, Harry, Ginny, and Padfoot strolled by the lake. Ginny was taking no chances this time, and had slipped the loop of Padfoot’s leash around her ankle. If he wanted to escape this time, he’d have to take her down first. Padfoot frolicked happily, yapping at the Giant Squid who was lounging at the edge of the lake in the dusky hues of the setting sun. He soon tired of this and began to seek new sport. In his usual exuberant manner, Padfoot began to run circles around Harry and Ginny, turning them into a living maypole. As the leash twisted and spiraled it’s way around them, Harry and Ginny lost their balance. They fell in a heap, Harry landing on his backside and Ginny landing on top of him, Padfoot lapping their faces in a satisfied manner.

“I hope you’re happy, you naughty boy,” Ginny admonished, gently pushing him away. Padfoot sank to his haunches, yawning big and giving Harry and Ginny a chance to recover. Ginny started to push herself up, but suddenly felt Harry pulling her back down.

”I liked you better down here,” Harry said, wrapping his arms around her.

”Harry...what if someone walks up on us?” Harry, not really caring WHO walked up on them, laced his fingers through Ginny’s hair and quieted her qualms with a kiss.

”Hey, Potter, what exactly are you doing to my baby sister?”

At the sound of the unexpected voice, Harry and Ginny quickly sat up, desperately trying to untangle themselves from the leash of the now slumbering Padfoot. After finally managing to extricate themselves, Harry looked up to see Charlie standing over them, arms crossed and eyebrow raised.

”Sorry, Charlie...I mean, Professor...we got tangled up in Padfoot’s leash and fell. I...I was trying to help Ginny up.”

”Looks more like she was helping you get up,” Charlie said with an amused look on his face.

Ginny shot up and stormed up to her brother, stopping her face within inches of his. “Last time I checked, I was old enough to handle myself, CHARLIE. I DON’T need a keeper, but I’m happy to have you as a professor. THAT’S IT! PLEASE take off your big brother hat.” Ginny stopped ranting long enough to take in her brother’s appearance. A sly smile crept over her face.

”So what have you been up to, big brother? You’re looking quite flustered and rumpled.”

An expression of amusement flickered across Charlie’s rugged features. “It was that bloody dragon! She kept calling me a ‘tasty-looking bloke’, and I wasn’t sure how to take it. Of course, she really is the most beautiful specimen I’ve ever seen, and I’ve seen my fair share of Opaleyes. Morgan really is a bit saucy though. She kept smacking me on the bum with her tail and licking my ear. SO saucy!” Charlie said, with a far-off glint in his eyes.

”Did you figure out what’s wrong with her?” Harry asked, helping Ginny to her feet.

”Yeah, she’s got some dragon allergies. I’ll have to rub some ointment on her everyday for the next few weeks, and she’ll be right as rain.”

Ginny grinned a mischievous smile. “I wonder what Morgan looks like as a human. Think maybe she’s cute, Charlie?”

Charlie shot Ginny a warning glance. “Harry, get my inquisitive sister back up to the castle before it gets dark. That is, if you two are done helping each other up.” Charlie gave them a quick wink before striding off towards Hagrid’s cabin.

Ginny stomped her foot in aggravation. “I swear! Someday I’m going to line all of my brothers up in age order and Bat-Bogey hex each one of them in turn!”

Harry smiled, wishing he had some siblings of his very own like Ginny’s. “Let’s get you and Padfoot back up to the castle and pop in on Ron and Hermione.”


Harry and Ginny were welcomed into Ron and Hermione’s rooms to the sight of house-elves. Zeppie was there with Winky and Dobby. Hermione beckoned them over excitedly.

”Hurry up! You two have got to hear this! It’s yet another fine example of the oppression of the house-elves.”

Harry and Ginny sat on an armchair in front of the fire, noticing that Zeppie and Winky were holding hands while Dobby looked on with longing.

”Go ahead, Zeppie,” Hermione urged. “Tell them what you told us.”

Zeppie turned his goggle-eyes towards Harry and Ginny. “Zeppie is just telling Missy Hermy that Winky is being Zeppie’s wife. Zeppie and Winky is being married for many years.”

Hermione couldn’t contain herself any longer and cut in at this point. “When house-elves get married they can’t be together unless they’re both free. Zeppie and Winky have been working in separate households for years...even though they’re married! And poor Dobby!”

Harry, who’d always felt a fondness for Dobby asked, “What about Dobby?”

Dobby raised his eyes to meet Harry’s. “Dobby too has a wife, Harry Potter sir; a wife Dobby has not seen in many years.”

Hermione stood and pounded a fist into her open palm. “We’ve GOT to help Dobby get his wife free! I mean, it’s just wrong; being kept away from the one you love because of a lifestyle of servitude!”

”Dobby, what’s your wife’s name, and do you know what family she works for?” Ginny asked.

Dobby’s eyes went back and forth between Harry and the floor. “Dobby’s wife is Corkey. Corkey is a house-elf for the Blackthorpe family.”

Harry and Ginny looked at each other. “Cindra?” Harry asked.

”I don’t know anyone else with that last name,” Ginny answered.

Harry nodded his head. “Don’t worry, Dobby, we’ll help you if we can.”


The next few weeks were filled with preparations for the Unity Ball. Harry had spoke to Cindra only once, to confirm that they would meet in the main hall beforehand. He and Ginny had been discussing with Ron and Hermione the best ways to approach Cindra about Corkey. They decided that the Unity Ball was as good a place as any to speak to her about it.

Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Harry had all placed mail orders with Madam Malkin for new dress robes, as she already had all of their sizes. She always sent out a catalog for such things, where the models inside spun and twirled wearing her latest fashions. Ron and Harry’s were actually quite similar; black dragonhide with Harry’s trimmed in crimson and Ron’s trimmed in blue. Ginny and Hermione refused to show theirs until the night of the ball.

The Saturday of the ball finally arrived. It was a rather chilly morning, and Ron, Hermione, Harry, and Ginny had all agreed to accompany Charlie out to check on Morgan. They all bundled up and trudged out into the crisp morning air, following Charlie in the direction of the forest. Morgan, who was curled up in her grove of elm trees, immediately perked up when she saw them coming.

”Ah...here comes Mr. Juicy Flanks now!”

”I’m still trying to decide whether or not she wants to eat me,” Charlie muttered in quiet tones so Morgan couldn’t hear him. Ron smirked at Harry as Morgan snaked out her tail and ruffled Charlie’s hair.

”Really, Morgan, I brought you company and this is how you act. Can’t you behave yourself?” Charlie asked.

”But it’s really so much more fun NOT to behave.”

Ron sniggered as Charlie began to rub ointment on Morgan’s side. “So, Charlie, you coming to the ball tonight? Tonks will be there. She’s coming for extra security.”

All of a sudden, Ron felt very warm on his backside and leapt forward as he realized that Morgan had blown flames right behind him.

”Whoops! Sorry, mate. Had to sneeze...dragon allergies you know.”

Ron looked over his shoulder at his smoking robes. “I think maybe I’m going to head back up to the castle. Suddenly, I’m feeling a bit warm.”

”I’ll come with you, Ron. I have some things to do to get ready for the ball,” Hermione offered. She grabbed Ron’s hand and the two left. After watching Charlie handle Morgan’s allergy treatments for a minute, Harry and Ginny began to feel like they were intruding upon something. They said their goodbyes and started to leave, when Morgan stopped them, feeling a bit like she was running them all off.

”Wait a minute, please?” she implored. With her teeth, Morgan pulled out two of her large scales and dropped them into Ginny’s hand. “One each for you and Hermione. Wear them in your hair for your ball.”

Ginny looked down at the pearly, shimmering scales in her hand. Each was oval in shape with a toothed edge that made them look like ornamental hair combs. Sunlight hit them from different angles, making them appear a rainbow spectrum of colors. “Thanks so much, Morgan! They’re beautiful. Of course we’ll wear them!” Ginny flashed Morgan a friendly smile before she and Harry left.

Charlie smiled as he watched them go, slathering more ointment on Morgan’s tail. Morgan sighed loudly.

”That’s something I’ve missed over the last ten years.”

”What’s that?” Charlie asked, finishing up her allergy treatment and coming around front to face her.

Morgan arched her neck and stared at the ground. “Friendship. Companionship. Love. Without them, life can be a bit lonely. Okay, it can be a LOT lonely.”

Charlie patted the side of Morgan’s enormous head. “Don’t worry, Morgan. You’ve got me and Hagrid as friends. And don’t worry, keep up doing things like you just did for Ginny and Hermione, and you’ll have more.”

”As long as you’re my friend, Charlie, I’ll be happy. I wonder if you’ll still want to be my friend after you see what I look like.”

”What do you mean?”

”Well...right now I’m the most beautiful kind of dragon in the world. When I can change back again I’ll just be plain old, uninteresting Morgan. I can assure you, I’m no raving beauty.”

Charlie put a hand on either side of Morgan’s dragon head and forced her to look into his eyes. “Morgan, even when you’re a witch again I’m SURE you’ll be just as fun to be around. I’ll still be around...if you’re still around.”


Ginny and Hermione hid away in Hermione’s room for most of the afternoon before the ball. Ron and Harry were waiting for them in front of Ron and Hermione’s fireplace. They would walk together to the main hall where they would split up with their dates from other houses. Harry was feeling a bit nervous about having to spend an hour with a Slytherin, especially because of the plan; the plan to ask her about Corkey. A few minutes later, his stomach was doing flips, but for an entirely different reason. Ginny was descending the stairs and Harry was quite speechless.

Ginny’s hair hung in soft, wispy curls down her back. Her purple strands were coiled up on top of her head, held in place by Morgan’s shimmering scale. Ginny wore robin’s egg blue damask dress robes with a raised floral pattern done in gold stitching.

”Now don’t you forget, Potter, I dressed like this for you, not for Blaise Zabini. I’ll just pretend I’m wearing a potato sack for the first hour.”

Harry still couldn’t seem to form coherent speech, so he just settled for kissing her soundly and putting an arm around her shoulders as Ron asked, “Where’s Hermione?”

”Sorry! I’m coming!”

Hermione dashed out of her room and down the stairs. Hermione’s hair was twisted up in a complicated fashion, adorned with Morgan’s other scale. She wore robes of creamy pink Chinese silk with a silver tulle overlay. As she reached the bottom of the stairs, Ron grabbed her elbow and leaned over to whisper to her.

”Do you reckon we could just skip the ball the spend the evening in here? We could put on suits and try out that big tub!” Ron said suggestively, once again converting to ‘naughty Ron’.

Hermione elbowed him playfully. “Maybe later, Ron. Right now we have our responsibility as Head Boy and Head Girl to attend to. Let’s go.”

”You DO realize I’ll have to hold you to that, don’t you?” Ron asked as the foursome exited Ron and Hermione’s rooms and headed for the main hall. Once there, Ron and Hermione left Harry and Ginny in search of Ernie and Hannah. Harry took Ginny’s hand and tried to bolster up his courage as they headed over to where Cindra and Blaise stood. He was feeling a bit apprehensive about talking to Cindra about Corkey, but knew he must keep his promise to Dobby.

”Well, good evening, Harry...Ginevra,” Cindra greeted them, nodding at each in turn. She and Blaise were both dressed in dark shades of green.

”Should we go in?” Harry asked, offering Cindra his arm as Blaise did the same to Ginny. Both of these particular Slytherins seemed to be all about being proper.

”I suppose,” Cindra replied, sounding rather bored. The four walked into the Great Hall and sank into chairs at the first table they came to.

The Great Hall was nothing short of splendid. Smaller circular tables skirted the edges, each covered with silken tablecloths with swirled patterns of green, scarlet, purple, and blue. Each table seated four and was covered with gold and silver confetti, star-shaped floating candles in blue glass basins, and gold and silver tasseled menus. Upon inspection, whatever dish someone asked for out of the menu would simply appear in front of them. Each table also held a crystal decanter of raspberry cordial and four matching cut-glass goblets. The ceiling was bewitched to portray the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights, and was currently flashing shades of red, orange, and pink.

Harry, Ginny, Cindra, and Blaise each scanned their menus, finally deciding on their choice of food. As they ate, conversation was very little. As Harry finished off his roast lamb, he finally decided to broach the subject of Corkey.

”So...er, Cindra. Have you got any house-elves?”

Cindra daintily daubed her face with a napkin before answering. “Oh yes, we’ve got quite a few of them. Mind you, they’re not all quite up to snuff with my expectations of how house-elves should be, but it’s not my place to get rid of them.”

Harry figured this was the perfect way to head towards Corkey. “So, which of your house-elves would you say is the worst worker of them all?” he asked.

”Well, we’ve got one named Criptor who’s getting pretty old and just can’t seem to get around well anymore. But he still does a reasonably good job. We have one who’s just terribly clumsy. I’ve tried to convince my parent’s to free her, but they say she’ll eventually shape up. I simply HATE having Corkey around.”

”You shouldn’t have to put up with substandard service,” Ginny piped in. “I know if I had house-elves, I wouldn’t put up with it, no matter what my parents had to say. If I was you, I’d find a way to get rid of it on my own.”

Cindra’s face had taken on a look of interest. “You know, Ginevra, you may just have something there! Why should I put up with my parents’ incompetent house-elves? I believe I’ll have to get rid of her myself!”

Ginny and Harry cast each other a conspiratorial glance. They’d put the idea of getting rid of Corkey in Cindra’s head. Now all they could do was wait and see what became of it.


”Where exactly are we going, Luna?” Draco asked, as Luna dragged him out of the Great Hall and into the gardens surrounding the castle.

”I wanted to dance, Draco, and they’re not playing any music inside yet.”

”Luna, there’s no music out here either.”

”Sure there is, Draco, just listen.”

Draco cocked his head and after a few minutes, sure enough, he heard music. It was coming from the younger students costume party by the lake. “So does this mean I have to dance now?” he asked her.

”Oh...you know you’re dying to get her into your arms! Go ahead, lover boy. Grab hold of her and twirl her around a bit.”

”Listen, could you please just stay out of this tonight! How will I ever enjoy the evening if you won’t leave me alone?” Draco asked his conscience.

”Alright, alright...I’m just saying, don’t pass up a golden opportunity that’s right in front of you!”

Before Draco had the chance to take Luna in his arms, she grabbed him and began to sway back and forth with him. Draco took this as an opportunity to again admire how she looked.

Luna was wearing a beautiful set of black and white satin robes with silver star catches at the front. The only thing at all odd about her appearance, was the fact that she had her hair coiled on top of her head and held in place by, a snake.

”Luna, where did you get that thing in your hair?” Draco asked, trying to do so without hurting her feelings. It wasn’t that it looked bad, only that it certainly was different from any other hair ornament any other girl was wearing. But, this WAS Luna he was talking about.

”Oh, do you like it? It’s a coral snake. I thought it was fitting, since my date’s a Slytherin. I got it by owl post the other day,” she said, stroking the red, white, and black banded snake. “It was a present from a reader. I get presents from Quibbler readers all the time, since daddy’s in charge of it. Don’t worry, I’m sure it’s a fake.”

Draco let his mind drift to other things as they danced...like the way her hair smelled like the air after a fresh rain, or how his arms tingled with her in them. He gazed into her pale eyes, smiling a little at her as she began to talk again.

”You like me a little, don’t you, Draco? I mean as more than a friend. I can tell.”

Draco’s mouth fell open, and he couldn’t seem to find the right words to say.

”Don’t worry, Draco. I like you too. I like you a lot.” She beamed him her dreamiest smile and Draco smiled back, daring to lean in a little closer. It was then that he noticed her hair was coming unbound. Draco’s eyes grew wider, as the snake in Luna’s hair uncoiled, and sank venom dripping fangs into Luna’s neck. Immediately she slumped in his arms and turned panic stricken eyes to him.

”Did I ever tell you that Blue-Crested Willawomps mate for life? I...I suddenly don’t feel quite myself, Draco. I feel...so...strange...”

Luna passed out completely, as Draco began to call for help.


A/N: Sorry about that! I promise not to leave you hanging for too long!!

Order of the Dragon by CraftySlytherin

A/N: Okay, Okay…..I know this update has taken like….forever. I hadn’t realized I’d left off at such a bad point!! I’m SO sorry, and don’t want anyone to think I’d actually leave everyone hanging until they just delete my story. So, here’s the next chapter and I promise not to take so long with the one after.


Inside of the Great Hall, tables were being cleared away to make room for dancing. There was still fifteen minutes left of the official first hour of the ball, so if any dancing was going to be done, it would be done with other house partners.

After the conversation about house-elves over dinner, Cindra seemed quite a bit less bored. She, Blaise, Harry, and Ginny were now all dancing, but were paying more attention to talking. Harry had repeatedly stepped on Cindra’s toes, but she didn’t seem to notice. Blaise, who was dancing with Ginny right next to them, DID notice and had actually teased Harry about casting a Feather-toes Charm on him so he didn’t break Cindra’s feet. With about five minutes left in the first hour, Blaise brought up the topic of the D.A.

“So, Potter, is the D.A. open to members from any house? I know of a few Slytherins who might be interested in showing up. We’re not ALL junior Death Eaters in the making, you know.”

Harry was a bit taken aback. He’d never dreamed there would be a day when Slytherins would join the D.A. It made him a bit hopeful. “Well, sure. The D.A. is open to anyone who’s interested in joining. I was planning to have the first meeting next Tuesday after classes and dinner. Bring around anyone who’s interested.”

A loud bonging sound began as the clock struck nine. Showers of green, scarlet, blue, and purple sparks fell from the Northern Lights ceiling, signaling the end of the first hour. Blaise bowed to Ginny, thanking her for the dance and her company during dinner. Harry felt pressured, so he also thanked Cindra for her time. With a promise that they’d check back with Harry about the first D.A. meeting, Blaise took Cindra’s hand and began to waltz her around the Great Hall in a complicated manner. Harry gratefully took Ginny into his arms and began to sway back and forth with her to the music.

“No trodding on my toes now, Potter. I don’t think my delicate feet could take it,” she teased him, playfully pushing his glasses farther up his nose.

Before Harry could come up with a witty reply, the doors to the Great Hall banged open loudly. In came a desperate-looking Draco, carrying a passed out, paler than normal Luna.

“Madam Pomfrey! Where’s Madam Pomfrey?”

Madam Pomfrey, who was up at the staff table, rushed forward through the throng of coupled-up students. Carefully she inspected Luna’s limp form, noticing the tiny puncture wounds.

“What did this, Mr. Malfoy?” she asked, as she conjured a stretcher for Luna.

“It was a snakebite. And I’m NOT putting her on that. I’ll carry her to the hospital wing,” Draco said determinedly. His eyes scanned the crowd until he spotted Padma. “You! I need you to come!”

Padma, who’d been Neville’s date and was still with him, came rushing forward. Neville came along as well, having no choice since Padma still had a firm grip on his hand. As the group made their way out of the Great Hall and towards the hospital wing, Draco addressed his reason for asking Padma along.

“I need you to go to Luna’s dorm room and search for the box the snake came in. Someone stunned a live coral snake and sent it to her, and she thought it was a fake. She said it was a present from a Quibbler reader, but I don’t think it was. I’ve GOT to know who sent it.”

Padma nodded and headed off towards the Ravenclaw dorms with Neville following along. Draco continued his purposeful stride, reaching the hospital wing right before Madam Pomfrey. He laid Luna carefully on an empty bed, leaning over to put his cheek in front of her mouth. She was still breathing, but only just. Madam Pomfrey rushed around making preparations for an Anti-Venom Serum.

“Mr. Malfoy, where is the snake that bit her? It would be helpful to make the serum if I had it.”

“It’s out in the gardens, stunned within an inch of it’s life,” Draco said, never taking his eyes off Luna.

“Could you please go get it?” Madam Pomfrey asked, pulling vials out of a cabinet.

“Send someone else.”

Madam Pomfrey turned to look at him raising an eyebrow. “Excuse me?”

A little of Draco’s old, cold glint entered his gray eyes. “I said SEND SOMEONE ELSE! I’m NOT leaving her!”

“I’ll go,” volunteered someone from the doorway. Draco looked up to see Harry. Standing with him were Ginny, Ron, and Hermione. Harry quickly turned on his heel to fetch the snake.

“Why are you here?” Draco asked a bit coldly, turning back to Luna.

“Well, Malfoy,” Ginny answered, her voice taking an angry tone, “Luna is our friend as well. I know you think she’s your sole property, but WE’RE concerned for her welfare as well.”

Draco nodded his head slightly, muttering something that sounded like, “Sorry.”

Harry returned from outside a few minutes later, carrying the limp snake. As soon as Madam Pomfrey took it, she shoved the foursome out of the hospital wing so she could get to work.

“Potter!” Draco yelled, stopping Harry before he could make it out the door. Draco looked back over to Luna’s still form, taking her hand. “Thank you.”

“No problem,” Harry said, tentatively smiling. “And it’s Harry, not Potter.”

Draco nodded to Harry before he followed Ron, Ginny, and Hermione out of the hospital wing. Madam Pomfrey looked at Draco as if to indicate that he should follow them, but one glance at his face warned her that it would be a mistake.

Madam Pomfrey bustling about making the serum were the only sounds heard in the stillness of the hospital wing. Suddenly Luna began turning purple and gasping for air. Draco shot to his feet as Madam Pomfrey rushed over to administer the now-finished serum. Draco worried that she would choke, but Luna’s gasping for air did nothing to stop the chalky white-colored serum from making it down. When Madam Pomfrey laid Luna’s head back on her pillow, she had returned to a nice, normal color.

“There you have it, Mr. Malfoy. She’ll be fine now. Why don’t you run along and let her get some rest?”

The warning look came into Draco’s eyes again and he very coolly informed Madam Pomfrey that he wouldn’t be leaving. She realized she could do nothing but give in, and busied herself with putting away potion ingredients. Padma and Neville appeared in the doorway.

“Draco?” Padma asked apprehensively.

“Did you find it?”

Padma nodded. “I think so. This is the only box she had that a snake would have fit in. There’s a note taped to the side.”

Draco crossed the room in no time and took the box, ripping off the note and reading it quickly.

My dear Luna, I’ve heard that you have very unique tastes. I’ve also heard that there’s a ball coming up at Hogwarts. I thought that maybe a girl with your obvious flair for style could appreciate a hair ornament such as this. I hope you will wear it with pride. Sincerely, A faithful Quibbler reader

Draco shut his eyes tight, scowling. He wasn’t fooled for a second. The ink color choice, the type of parchment used, and the arrogant swoop at the end of each word all screamed out the sender of the snake. Even though he’d promised to protect her from him, Luna had been hurt by his father.

“It’s not your fault, Draco, you realize that, don’t you?”

“Not right now, please! I need to concentrate.”

“Concentrate on what? How to keep your father from hurting the ones you love?”

“Love? Who said anything about love?”

“You may not be saying it out loud, but don’t forget, I LIVE inside your mind. I can see what goes on up there.”

“Oh just sod off!”


Draco spent the night in the hospital wing with Luna. He sat in a chair by her bed, his head resting on the edge. Somewhere in the foggy midst of his dreams, Draco was roused by Luna beginning to stir. He lifted his head and watched as her eyelids fluttered open slowly, her eyes coming to rest on him.

“You’re so beautiful, Draco; exactly what I would have chosen to wake up to, if I could have chosen. Do you still like me? I remember you saying you liked me.”

Draco smiled. How like Luna it was to wake up from a snakebite rambling. “Did I say I liked you? I really don’t remember,” he teased. It felt like the bottom was falling out of his stomach; kind of like the feeling he got when making a spectacular dive on his broomstick in a Quidditch match.

“You did say it, I remember. And I told you too. You remember that, don’t you?”

Draco gave her his half of a smile. “I might remember you saying something like that.”

“Draco, I think I’d rather like it if you’d kiss me. Would you? I think it could be ever so nice.”

The falling feeling in Draco’s stomach sped up, as did the thudding of his heart in his chest. He felt quite as if he was coming apart at the seams as he leaned forward, never taking his eyes off Luna’s. Draco brushed his lips against Luna’s, sweet and feather-soft. He savored the pulse-quickening sensation before drawing back and awaiting her reaction.

“Oh it was marvelous, Draco! I knew it would be. I’m feeling a bit chilly, and I have a notion you’d make an excellent bed warmer. Do you mind?

Wordlessly Draco stretched out onto the bed, spooning her back against his front and wrapping his arms around her. Soon the only sound in the quiet darkness of the hosptial wing was the deep breaths of their slumber.


Back in the Heads’ dorm, Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione had all changed out of their ball attire and were discussing the events surrounding Draco and Luna. As news at Hogwarts usually did, the incident with Luna hadn’t taken long to spread. Members of the Order had arrived to confiscate the box and note that had been sent to Luna so that they might track down it’s origin.

“This whole thing just smacks of Lucius Malfoy,” Hermione stated, using an iron poker to stoke the embers in the fireplace.

“Can’t we ever have a nice, normal school year without stark-raving mad lunatics on the loose?” Ron asked.

Harry shook his head. “Not as long as there’s still a seriously evil wizard like Voldemort lurking about.”

“Oh please don’t start in on him right now, Potter,” Ginny pleaded, thinking again of the prophecy. “Let’s deal with one disturbed person at a time.”

The foursome sat quietly for a moment, staring into the now dancing flames in the fireplace. Finally Harry spoke. “I think we should offer to help Draco. I mean, evil elements always seem to have a way of crossing our paths. He shouldn’t have to deal with this alone. We could help him be…prepared.”

Ginny opened her eyes wide. She still wasn’t totally convinced of Draco’s change. “Are you suggesting we invite Draco Malfoy to join the D.A.?”

“That’s exactly what I’m suggesting. Let’s not forget, we’re officially a junior Order now. We have to work alongside the Order of the Phoenix to fight evil. I’m thinking we need to hold that first meeting as soon as possible. I’ll talk to Draco in the morning.”

“Any ideas on a name yet?” Ron asked, pulling Hermione away from the fire and into a chair on his lap. It was Hermione who answered.

“I have an idea, but I want to wait until the meeting to tell.”

Harry nodded. “Alright, Hermione. I’ll talk to Draco at breakfast. Tomorrow’s a Sunday. I think we’re going to have an emergency first meeting tomorrow after dinner. I’ll put up a notice in the morning.”


True to his word, before breakfast Harry pinned up a notice giving the meeting time and place. When he entered the Great Hall, he looked over to Luna and Draco’s usual spot. She had been released and was cheerfully eating and holding Draco’s hand. A bandage was wrapped around her neck to cover the snakebite. The interesting thing was that Draco and Luna weren’t alone. With them sat Padma and Neville, and a handful of Slytherins which included Blaise and Cindra. Harry cautiously approached them. Draco eyed him warily, but Luna beamed him her dreamiest smile.

“You’ve come to tell us about the meeting tonight, haven’t you, Harry?”

“Er…yeah. It’s going to be right after dinner in the Room of Requirement. Anyone who’s seriously interested can come,” he said, casting a meaningful glance at Blaise. “Er..Mal..I mean, Draco, can I have a word?”

Draco got up slowly, carefully watching Harry as he followed him to a corner of the Great Hall. “Alright, Pot…I mean, H…Harry. What do you want?”

Harry took a deep breath. “I’d like to formally invite you to come tonight. I think…I think we could help you.”

Draco stood quietly contemplating. Here before him stood his arch enemy, a Gryffindor, offering to help him. “Well…I’ll think about coming. I’m not promising anything.”

“Of course not. Well, hope to see you there.”

Harry realized that even this new Draco would be too proud to immediately consent. All Harry could do now was wait and see if he’d show up.


About ten minutes before dinner was over, Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Hermione left to prepare for the meeting. When they entered the Room of Requirement, all of the usual things were there; the books, the Dark Detectors, and other items. What was different was that the room seemed to have doubled in size.

“Wonder why it looks bigger?” Ron said, staring around the large space.

“Maybe the room knows something we don’t,” Hermione said. Before they had time to contemplate further, people began to arrive. Almost all of the old D.A. members came, excluding people such as Marietta Edgecomb and Michael Corner, who’d originally come because he was dating Ginny. In addition, there were many new faces; so far only Ravenclaws, Hufflepuffs, and Gryffindors. Harry was beginning to feel like maybe Blaise hadn’t truly been serious, when the door opened and in came a new group. Led by Blaise and Cindra, it was a group of seven Slytherins. Bringing up the rear was Luna, happily dragging Draco by his hand.

“No wonder the room got so big,” Harry thought, looking over the group which seemed to have doubled in size. “Well, let’s get started,” Harry said, but before he could continue, the door opened and Charlie came in.

“Hello, everyone. Harry, Dumbledore thought maybe you could use some help from someone from the other Order to help with the new one.”

The last part was said in a whisper to Harry. Harry nodded and continued, feeling somehow emboldened by Charlie’s presence in this large group. “First of all, everyone here should know that this is a very serious group. This isn’t just some school club to join because you’re bored and have nothing else to do. If you join you can expect nothing short of hard work. We’re all about training to fight against and protect ourselves from dark forces. If you don’t think you can handle it you should probably leave now.”

Harry paused to let the full effect of what he was saying sink in. A few people looked a bit nervous, but none of them left. Harry’s eyes scanned the group. “You’re all sure?” he asked. Heads nodded and there were murmurs of consent. “All right then, I have some important things to say regarding this group. But first, anyone who’s not already a member and wants to join, please sign the parchment Hermione has just pulled out. Do not sign your name lightly. There are consequences for signed-up members who betray this trust.”

There was a moment’s pause in Harry’s speech as new members stood in line to scrawl their name in emerald ink across the parchment. When Draco’s turn came, the quill he was holding paused over the paper. Draco looked up at Harry sort of blankly for a moment, then turned back and signed his name across the bottom of the parchment. When everyone including Charlie had signed and Hermione had rolled up the parchment, Harry continued.

“Now that that bit of business is taken care of, welcome to members new and old. First of all I want to tell you that this group has officially been made a junior order.”

Excited chatter broke out amongst the group. Finally Ron stuck two fingers in his mouth and whistled shrilly. “Oy! Let a man finish!”

When the noise died down Harry began again. “Before we start the actual meeting, I think we should decide on a new, official order name.”

Hermione thrust her arm in the air with such force that it was a wonder it didn’t come out of the socket. “Oh, Harry! I thought of a name. I think we should call ourselves the Order of the Dragon.”

Harry looked around to take in everyone’s reaction. “What does everyone think of becoming the Order of the Dragon?”

The new and old members of the junior order nodded, yelled, and clapped their approval of the new name. Harry smiled. “All right, we’re now officially the junior Order of the Dragon. Now let’s get started with a bit of a review of things we’ve done in the past. Maybe we could have some of the older members pair up with the newer members and then we’ll go through a couple of things.”

Harry waited while people shifted around to suit his request. They spent a few moments practicing disarming before moving on to Shield charms. Harry sent Ron and Hermione around to see who could shield themselves from the combined force of Godric and Rowena’s wands. Not one was able to.

“Don’t worry, we’ll keep working on it,” Harry assured them. “Eventually you’ll all be able to block even Ron and Hermione. Now we’ll work on Patronus Charms.”

Some veteran members had no trouble producing a corporeal Patronus, but most of the new members merely produced silver vapor. Before the end of the meeting, Ginny was playfully pouncing her tiger Patronus around the room, and Draco’s wolf Patronus stalked in and out between the students. Luna was obviously pleased with his progress as she jumped up and down at his side.

After about an hour, Harry finally called the meeting to a close, saying the next meeting would take place the following Sunday at the same time. Draco and Luna were the last ones to head for the door before Harry and Ginny. Draco paused in the doorway and turned to face Harry.

“I suppose I’ll see you next week…Harry,” he said, before being exuberantly pulled through the door by Luna. As Harry and Ginny straightened scattered books and cushions, Harry couldn’t help but think things were going pretty good.


Hermione and Ron hadn’t stayed behind after the meeting to help clean up. Ron had told Hermione that he had a Potions assignment due the next day that he needed her help with. Of course, she scolded him all the way back to their rooms.

“Honestly, Ron, maybe someday you’ll learn not to put things off to the last minute,” she reprimanded, falling back onto the couch. “Go and get your things.”

However when Ron came back down he had no books, parchment, quills, or ink; only a small box.

“Ron, where’s your work?” she asked with exasperation. “Honestly, you’ll never pass your classes if you aren’t even going to try.”

“Hermione, I lied. I don’t have a Potions assignment due tomorrow. I just wanted to get you here quickly so I could talk to you.”

Hermione simply looked perplexed as Ron sat next to her and gave her the little wrapped box. “Ron?”

“Remember I told you I had something for you, that I’d give to you at school? Well, this is it. I had to wait for Mum to send it.”

Hermione eyed the tiny package, willing her heart to stop beating so quickly. As she began to carefully pick at the wrappings, Ron began to ramble.

“I mean…we Weasleys, we’re not so well off…but this is something special. My Aunt Vera left it to me. It’s been passed down through our family for centuries. You’re supposed to give it to the person you want to…want to…ah…”

He stopped as Hermione lifted the lid off of the box to reveal a simple gold band. “Thank you, Ron. It doesn’t matter that it’s not fancy. I love it anyways.”

Ron pulled the ring out of the box. “No, you don’t understand. You have to put it on to really see.”

He took Hermione’s left hand and pushed it onto her ring finger. From the top of the band a golden morning glory bud sprang up. Within a few seconds the golden petals opened up to reveal the center of the morning glory. In the center was set a perfect sapphire. Hermione couldn’t speak.

“It changes to the birthstone and birth flower of whoever wears it. I’m supposed to give it to the person I want to…I mean this IS our last year at school and it isn’t too early to start thinking about…you know.”

Hermione smiled deviously. “No, Ron, I don’t know. Not too early to start thinking about what?”

Ron’s face grew redder than his Weasley hair. “About maybe…after school…someday…marrying me,” he stammered, looking at the ceiling. “I understand if you don’t want to. I mean…”

Hermione put a hand on either side of Ron’s face and forced him to look at her. “But, Ron, I do.”

As soon as Hermione spoke those words, tiny flower roots began to etch themselves into the gold all around the band of the ring. “Why did it do that, Ron? What does it mean?”

Ron took hold of Hermione’s hands on the sides of his face and looked deeply in her eyes. “It means…you said yes.”


A/N: Okay, I don’t know who all is still reading my story, but I hope you enjoyed this! Let me know in a review. Also, is everything seeming to go along a bit to smoothly for all the couples involved? Should there be a bit of mayhem? Let me know in your review. The next chapter will see more of Morgan the dragon.

For Whom the Bell Tolls by CraftySlytherin

A/N: First off I have to say, thank you to everyone who has reviewed, even though it’s taken me SO long to update. I figure, I owe you one, so here’s another quick update. Also, thank you much to Shannon who is now modding this story. I appreciate it! This chapter is mostly a bit of fluff, but don’t think I’m slacking off! I thought it would be good to have a pretty normal chapter before the bad stuff in the next one. Hope you enjoy!


Piercing fingers of sunlight stabbed through the window of Hermione’s room, shining through the dream-clouded depths of her sleep. Smiling a little and stretching like a contented cat, Hermione slowly opened her eyes, turning over to look at the slumbering form next to her. After Ron had given her the flower ring last night Hermione had allowed him to sleep in her room, just so she could feel close to him. She’d only allowed it after making Ron promise that he’d behave and not revert to ‘naughty Ron’ kind of behavior.

Hermione carefully studied Ron as he slept, snoring quite loudly. Gingery freckles peppered the nose and cheeks she so loved to place soft kisses on. Unruly strands of Weasley-red hair hung down over now-closed blue eyes that she loved to lose herself in. And those lips that so often stammered, swore, and said the wrong things; the things those lips made her feel when pressed against her own. Had it really happened? Had Ron actually told her he wanted to marry her? Hermione looked at the beautiful morning glory and sapphire ring and knew it hadn’t been yet another beautiful dream. She found herself unable to resist tracing a finger along his jawline. As soon as her finger made contact with his face, Hermione received a charge of electrical shock.

“Ow!”

Hermione quickly jerked her shocked finger back. Apparently Ron had felt it as well, because he bolted upright. “What in the bloody hell was that for?”

Hermione looked perplexed. “I…I really don’t know, Ron. I didn’t try to shock you on purpose. I…just tried to touch your face and it sort of happened.”

Ron tentatively reached out to touch Hermione and felt himself pushed from her loft bed by some unseen force. Hermione quickly scrambled to the edge of the bed. “Oh, Ron! Are you all right?”

Ron’s eyes held a bit of hurt when he looked up at Hermione. “I’m splendid. I think I’m going to dress and go down to breakfast,” he said, getting up and dusting himself off. “By the way, if you wanted a moment alone you could have just told me. There was no need to shove me into the floor. I’ll see you later, Hermione. Maybe you’ll be in a better mood then.”

Hermione very ungracefully descended from her bed and ran after Ron’s retreating form. “But, Ron, I honestly didn’t do anything. Please come back.”

As she grabbed him by his shoulder, Ron felt something kick him in the backside quite hard, sending him sprawling forward. He looked over his shoulder from his spot on the floor. “And I suppose you didn’t do that either. Listen, I get the message. You’re afraid I’m trying to ravage you or something. Don’t worry…I won’t try to touch you again. Now if you’ll excuse me,” he said, once again getting to his feet, “my wounded pride and I are going for a spot of breakfast.”

Hermione was too confused to do anything to stop him. She had seen Ron pushed forward, but not what had done it.

“There is something not normal going on. I need to find out what it is and get Ron to listen to me,” she thought to herself. A plan quickly formulated in her mind. Running back up the spiral stairs to her room, Hermione rummaged through the desk under her bed until she found a piece of parchment. She grabbed the quill that stood in the ink well on top of the desk and quickly scrawled a note. After signing her name at the bottom, Hermione quickly read over it a few times. Satisfied, she folded the parchment and went downstairs in search of Crookshanks, who happened to be curled up in front of the fireplace sleeping.

“There’s my good kitty. Crooks, I need you to take this note and give it to one of the school owls…quick as you can.”

Crookshanks seemed to sense his mistress’ s distress and quickly snatched the note in her outstretched hand in his mouth. “Now to find Zeppie,” Hermione said, as she watched Crookshanks quickly pad out of the room.


“Well, Morgan, you appear to be right as rain. Looks like your allergies are gone,” Charlie said, carefully inspecting the areas where she had been affected. It was at that point that Charlie noticed that Morgan hadn’t responded to one thing he’d said all morning. Where were the witty remarks and the usual bum-smacking with her tail? She had been uncharacteristically quiet.

Charlie came around to Morgan’s front side where her head lie on the ground. She appeared to be staring off into the swaying trees ahead. “Morgan, are you feeling all right?”

Morgan replied, not ceasing her dull stare off into nowhere. “Yeah, I’m just ducky. Couldn’t be happier, mate.”

Charlie, in all his wisdom, couldn’t figure out what could be wrong with her. Her dragon allergies were all cleared up and she was healthy as could be. Why…she could leave anytime she wanted. Suddenly, understanding fell on Charlie like a load of bricks. She didn’t want to leave! Morgan had told him many times how lonely it had been being stuck as a dragon all these years. Here, in this place, she had friends. Charlie and Hagrid were both with her at least once a day. Ron, Harry, Hermione, and Ginny also visited her as often as possible. Here, Morgan had no reason to be lonely, even as a dragon.

“You know, Morgan, I’ve been thinking. I’ve been working on Dragon Shield charms with my seventh year students. The dragon models we’ve been using are pretty effective, but what better way to practice Dragon Shield charms than against a real dragon? Think it would be within your power to stay on for a bit longer? It would mean I’d have to bring more people down here, but-”

“I’d really like to help you out, Charlie,” Morgan interrupted, “but only if you really need me.

Charlie patted Morgan’s now-uplifted head. “Of course I need you, Morgan.”

Morgan glanced down at the ground, as if she was suddenly overcome with shyness. “Charlie…I’d like to show you something…if you have the time.”

Charlie had noticed that when Morgan was feeling serious, which was rare, that she spoke without her usual slang. “All right, Morgan. Show me.”

Morgan raised herself up to her full, impressive height, outstretching her beautiful wings. She began to beat them faster and faster, never leaving the ground. “Look into my eyes, Charlie.”

Charlie did as Morgan asked and looked into her large, iridescent eyes. He felt himself growing more and more light-headed the faster she beat her wings. Suddenly he felt himself falling. It was like he was tumbling through an endless, dark sky. He couldn’t see anything. Finally he came to a stop. Light began to filter in through the darkness until Charlie could take in his surroundings. All around him was flat grassland, dotted here and there with scrub bushes. Before him stood a grove of tall, spindly trees with thick, lush leaves. The air all around him felt hot and thick. The sky was painted many warm colors and was filled with the cries of odd birds the likes of which he’d never seen. Strange music dominated by drum beats seemed to fill the air, coming from somewhere far off.

From out of the grove of trees, Charlie could make out the form of a young woman emerging. As she got closer, Charlie got to his feet, still not understanding where he was or what was going on. The young woman was extremely thin. Mrs. Weasley would say she could use a bit of fattening up. Her garments bespoke her high station in life. She wore sleeveless robes; the style Greek witches used to wear. They were of a rich blue material that seemed to swirl around her as she walked, even though there was no breeze. As far as looks went, she was no stunning beauty. However there was something about her that was captivating. Her dark hair hung in unruly strands reaching just to the bottom of her chin. Thin lips, high cheekbones…and her eyes! That was what seemed to be drawing Charlie to her. The corneas of her eyes were as many colored and iridescent as-

“Morgan?” Charlie asked in disbelief. “But how…where?”

“Please, Charlie, don’t waste time with questions. I can only project my image…and this place, for a short time. I wanted to show you me…as I truly am.”

“How can you-”

“Again with the questions, Charlie? You’re not a very trusting bloke, are you?”

“All right, Morgan. I’ll play along. Where are we?”

“This was one of my favorite hideouts in the African Savannah. I think I spent more time here than anywhere else.”

Morgan reached out her hands. “Come with me, Charlie…please? There’s not much time.”

Charlie walked forward and took Morgan’s left hand in his right. Even in the heat, it felt comfortably cool in his own. She smiled up at him. “Thanks, Charlie. Come on.”

Hand in hand Morgan led Charlie to her secret tree grove.


“You know, Draco, I can carry my own books. It’s not like I’m as helpless as a Plothrunt.”

Draco had no idea what a Plothrunt was and he had no intention of asking. Much as he loved Luna’s constant companionship, he wasn’t quite in the mood for ramblings about Plothrunts just now. He was simply too tired. Since Luna’s release from the hospital wing, Draco had been her faithful bodyguard. He carried her books, walked with her everywhere, and opened all her mail before letting her have it. Luna had tried to protest at first, but Draco cut quite the commanding figure when he wanted to, so she had just given in. Draco also had the added advantage of being a Prefect and could patrol the halls outside the Ravenclaw dorms at night without fear of getting in trouble. He always seemed to be tired now, but at least he was keeping his promise. Luna had remained safe ever since her encounter with the coral snake.

“I’m perfectly aware that you are capable of carrying your own books, Luna. I’m just trying to be a gentleman.”

“I know, Draco. You really are the most attentive beau I’ve ever had. Actually…you’re the only beau I’ve ever had. I wonder why that is. If I were a boy, I would find myself refreshingly charming.”

Draco smiled, as he always did at Luna’s amusing banter. “All right then, how about we grab a bite of breakfast. The owl post should be arriving soon and I’ll have to go through your mail.”

As they entered the Great Hall, Luna frowned a bit. “Did you ever think that maybe I’m too short, Draco? If I were as tall as you, you wouldn’t have to stoop over to kiss me. That kind of thing could eventually lead to a bad back. Draco, I’d feel awful if you were to get a back injury on my account.”

Again Draco smiled his half-smile. Life with Luna was never dull. “Don’t be silly, Luna,” he said as they sat down. “You’re just the right height for me to rest my chin on your head, and it’s terribly comfortable.”

“Oh, Draco, how brilliant! That would make a splendid t-shirt slogan; ’Draco’s Chin Rest’. I’ll have to see about having one made up.”

Before he could reply, the owl post swooped in, dropping three packages in front of Luna. The first was from her father and contained a string of obviously fake pearls and a new pale pink cloak. The second turned out to be a box of chocolates from a Quibbler reader.

“Don’t eat those. I don’t like the look of them. If you want chocolates I’ll buy you some at Hogsmeade over the weekend.”

Luna smiled and kissed the back of Draco’s hand as he pulled a letter off of the third package. It was also from a Quibbler reader. He rambled on and on about Luna’s goddess-like beauty in the newspaper clippings he’d kept from articles on she and her fathers trips. He closed by saying that he hoped she would wear the enclosed item and that someday he could see her do so in person. Draco crumpled up the letter and tore open the package. Inside was something that looked like a bit of bright pink lace and string. Luna reached in and pulled it out.

“Another head scarf? He’s already sent me about ten of these.”

Draco took one look at what Luna had pulled out of the box and felt a deep suspicion that it wasn’t a head scarf. He knew he’d seen one before, but couldn’t quite place it. Suddenly an image came unbidden to Draco’s mind of a Muggle magazine Goyle had showed him once called Victoria’s Secret. All at once he knew what it was and what it was for. This was what Muggles referred to as…a thong!

“Luna! Put it back in the box before someone sees!”

“Why, Draco? Is it not a head scarf? Is it something bad?”

“Yes…yes it’s bad,” Draco said, color flooding to his cheeks at the thought of Luna wearing that thing.

“Worse than the chocolates?”

“Yes, Luna, much worse than the chocolates. I’m going to have to start monitoring your mail much more closely I think.”


The time between the end of classes and dinner found Harry and Ginny out for a stroll with Padfoot. “Are you really sure you don’t mind walking with us?” Ginny asked uncertainly. “Hermione and Ron both seemed to be in right foul moods. Maybe we should have stayed up there to help.”

Harry shook his head. “They’ve got to learn to deal with their problems on their own someday. Hermione told me she had things well in hand. Besides, I bet Morgan could probably use a visit.”

Ginny snickered. “She’s probably already having a visit with Charlie, but let’s go anyways.”

An early evening breeze swirled up leaves across the path in front of Harry and Ginny. Playfully Harry reached out to tweak a strand of purple hair as they made their way to Morgan’s clearing. As they came out of the trees, the scene that lay before them stopped them in their tracks. Morgan stared intently down at a form that lay unmoving on the ground. When Ginny got close enough to realize it was Charlie, she ran to his side. He was still breathing, but wasn’t moving a muscle. Morgan was no help as she appeared to be in some type of trance.

“Harry! Harry, help me wake him up!”


Charlie thought it felt like he and Morgan had been talking for ages inside her grove of trees, but he knew that it had actually only been moments. They now both sat still, quietly taking in the scenery around them, and still holding hands. It had seemed natural to Charlie to keep holding Morgan’s too-thin hand in his own as they sat engulfed in tall grasses that swayed in the breezes. The ripples that appeared on the top of the grasses as they moved reminded Charlie of the ocean. There was a chorus of animal sounds all around them and an odd, somewhat intoxicating, spicy scent wafted on the breeze. Charlie felt strangely at ease. All of a sudden the hand in his that had felt cool and solid seemed to flicker. Charlie looked at Morgan and began to panic as he realized she was beginning to fade.

“Morgan!”

Morgan smiled a sad smile. “Sorry, Charlie. I told you there wouldn’t be much time. I’m just glad we had as long as we did. It was nice to finally touch you with my own human hand. Maybe someday…”

“But, Morgan, I want to spend more time with you. I have so much more to say.”

“It’ll have to wait, Charlie. Just be patient.”

Charlie made up his mind to not waste his last precious seconds with this form of Morgan. He closed his eyes, leaned forward, and…


“Charlie!”

Charlie bolted up right from the unexpected and painful contact of Ginny’s palm against his cheek as she slapped him awake.

“Oh, Charllie, you’re alright!” Ginny screeched, flinging her arms around her brother. It took him a minute to realize where he was and what he’d not been able to do before being drawn back. He pushed Ginny away and got to his feet.

“Merlin’s nightgown, Ginny. You two have got the worst timing in the world.”

Ginny looked a bit taken aback. “What are you talking about, Charlie? I thought that you were hurt!”

Charlie stopped and realized that it was perfectly normal for his baby sister to have been worried by what she saw. “I was fine, Ginny; just taking a bit of a nap.”

“What about Morgan? Is she all right?” Harry asked.

Charlie turned to see that Morgan was still deep in her ’dragon trance’. He walked around to her backside and gave her hindquarters a right smart slap.

Morgan reared up and spun to face Charlie. “Hey! What was that for?”

Charllie smiled. “Well, you’re always doing it to me. I was just returning the favor.”

Charlie’s face took on a more serious look. “Can you…can you do it again?”

Harry and Ginny realized that they were now being ignored. They looked quietly at each other, silently agreeing that they should leave. Ginny gathered Padfoot in her arms and she and Harry quietly backed out of the clearing.

“Can you?” Charlie asked again when Morgan didn’t answer.

Sadly Morgan raised her pearly-scaled head. “I don’t know. I’ve never done it before. I mean, I knew I could, but I never wanted to. It really takes a lot out of me. I don’t expect I’ll be able to do it for a long time.”

Charlie smiled and patted Morgan’s side. “That’s all right, Morgan. It was nice while it lasted. Besides, we’ll figure out how to get you back to normal. I swear we will.”


A large barn owl swooped Ron on his way into the Great Hall for dinner. He swore under his breath about mental birds before realizing it had dropped a letter at this feet. Curiously he picked it up, opened it, and read.

Ron, I just had to tell you that all of that stuff this morning wasn’t me. I know it sounds strange, but something is going on and we have to find out what. Please forgive me and please come have dinner with me in our common room. Love, Hermione

Ron hesitated only a second before turning and running towards his dorm. He’d avoided Hermione all day, which for him was a form of torture. Maybe he had been a bit silly.

When he entered the common room the only light came from the roaring fire in the fireplace. As Ron got closer he could see an assortment of strange foods laid out on the copper table in front of the couch. There were two large pillows at either end of the table.

“Go ahead and sit down, Ron. I’ll be right there.”

Ron sat on one of the large, overstuffed pillows and surveyed the food. He didn’t recognize one dish on the table.

“It’s all Asian food. Zeppie made it.”

Ron’s head whirled around to the sound of Hermione’s voice. As she entered the flickering light from the fireplace, Ron felt himself growing hungry for something the table of food in front of him couldn’t satisfy. In the dancing firelight he could see that she was wearing a sleeveless peach sundress that laced up the front. He remembered that she had worn it many times over the summer at the Burrow and that it was one of his favorites. She had her hair pulled up in a loose bun that only left a few curling tendrils hanging down against the exposed nape of her neck. And as she rounded the couch, Ron could see that she was barefoot. He loved to see her barefoot.

She smiled tentatively as she sat across from him. “Okay now?”

Ron smiled back. “Okay. Hermione, some of this food looks a bit dodgy. You sure it’s all right?”

“Well, Zeppie’s never made bad food before. And I’ve eaten Asian food loads of times with my parents. Give it a try.”

Even though Ron had never had any Asian food before, and even though Hermione couldn’t remember the names of all the dishes, they both found the food to be delicious. It even made them momentarily forget about the problems from that morning. When they were done, Hermione reached over and grabbed a cookie from a small plate.

“Now I do remember what these are. They’re fortune cookies. You break it open and there’s a little slip of paper inside with your fortune on it. Go ahead and read yours, Ron.”

Ron reached over and took one of the cookies, breaking it open and pulling out his fortune. “You love Chinese food,” he read. All of a sudden he felt compelled to start eating again. “I do. I really do love Chinese food,” he said as he shoveled more food in his mouth.

Hermione thought there was something strange, and wondered if there was such a thing as magic fortune cookies. When she opened her cookie, showers of gold sparks flew into the air. She pulled out her fortune, reading it to herself. “Accept the next proposition you hear.”

Ron’s head snapped up. He hadn’t been able to hear what Hermione’s fortune said but found himself asking, “Hermione, fancy a swim in the big tub?”

Hermione felt herself compelled to answer, “Alright, Ron, but only if we wear suits.”

This is how Ron and Hermione found themselves at opposite ends of the tub, wearing less than they’d ever worn in front of each other, both openly gaping.

“So…uh…nice tub, eh?” Ron asked.

“Oh, yes…it’s lovely,” Hermione agreed.

“Uh…nice bathing suit,” Ron muttered.

“Oh yes, it’s lovely,” Hermione agreed. She was more interested in watching the water ripple in little waves against Ron’s chest than with what she was saying.

Ron finally decided he’d had enough. “Right then.”

He crossed the tub, closing the distance between himself and Hermione. Reaching out quickly, he pulled her to him, crushing his lips against hers. That’s when it happened. Large bells appeared in the air around their heads clanging loudly. They were joined by several sets of cymbals crashing.

Ron grabbed Hermione’s hand and dragged her out of the tub. He pulled her into the common room in an attempt to escape the cacophony that was following them, sailing through the air above their heads. In their attempt to flee, they crashed into Charlie, who had just entered. As soon as the contact between Ron and Hermione was broken, the bells and cymbals disappeared.

Charlie took in Ron and Hermione’s wet, bathing suit clad appearance and smiled. “I see Mum’s Chastity Charm is working. And none to soon by the look of things.”


A/N: I am truly sorry about that, but you all had to know things were going along too smoothly. It doesn’t promise to get any better in the next chapter. By the way, if anyone has any ideas they’d like to contribute, feel free to do so. I can’t promise I’ll use them because most of the rest of this story is mapped out, but you never can tell where a fresh idea might fit in.

Vanished by CraftySlytherin

“Chastity Charm? What Chastity Charm? I didn’t know anything about a Chastity Charm!”

Ron was quite capable of going on and on, but Charlie cut in. “Yeah, Mum cast it on the ring before she sent it. I got an owl from her about it. She figured after you gave Hermione the ring, if she said yes, and with you two being here alone, that it would be much easier for you to get carried away.”

Hermione looked indignant. “Carried away? Honestly! I think maybe she took it a bit far.”

To prove her point, Hermione poked Ron’s arm repeatedly. Each time her finger made contact, a large air horn appeared and shrieked loudly.

”We can’t even hold hands, Charlie!” Ron complained loudly. He snatched Hermione’s hand and was subsequently thrown ten feet away as if Hermione had some mad repulsor shield on her.

“I’m going to be killed by Mum’s idea of a Chastity Charm,” Ron grumbled, getting to his feet. “Can’t you make her take it off?”

Charlie could certainly see their point. “I’ll see what I can do, little brother, but you may have to take this up with her yourself. Hang tight and I’ll see what she says.”

Charlie bade them goodnight after promising to immediately pen a letter to Mrs. Weasley before going to bed.

Ron again focused his attention on Hermione. She was still in her swimsuit and was still wet from their brief swim. He felt that familiar hunger well up inside him as he looked at her. It was even worse than usual because he knew he could do nothing about it. He moved as close to her as he possibly could without actually touching him.

Hermione could feel the warmth from his skin. “Ron, no…you’re only making it worse,” Hermione whispered, closing her eyes.

Ron also closed his eyes, inhaling deeply the lemony scent that came from Hermione’s hair. Little shivers of electricity ran up and down his spine. Hermione opened her eyes and saw the pained expression on Ron’s face.

“Oh, Ron…good night.”

Before either of them could further be subjected to the torture, Hermione fled to her room. Ron slowly opened his eyes. He could swear he still smelled lemons in the air even though she was no longer there.

“Right. Time to write a very carefully worded letter to Mum,” Ron said determinedly, stomping his way up the stairs.


Time seemed to pass at a snail’s pace for Hermione and Ron in the weeks to follow. All of Ron’s letters to Mrs. Weasley were met with cryptic replies, and there were many letters as Ron spent all his spare time writing. He had even considered sending a Howler. Hermione spent her spare time in the library reading about charm breaking.

Harry and Ginny tried to be sensitive to their feelings and keep their signs of affection down to a minimum when they weren’t in private. Of course there weren’t many chances for privacy. Harry was so busy with the Order of the Dragon meetings and he and Ginny both had Quidditch. Ron tried to keep his mind in their games. His inattentiveness had cost Gryffindor a few games already.

Charlie’s letters to Mrs. Weasley held explanations that he couldn’t quite bring himself to tell Ron. She had asked Charlie to wait until the upcoming Christmas break and to let her explain it to Ron and Hermione. Charlie had his own set of frustrations. He had brought his seventh year students out to practice Dragon Shield charms with Morgan, explaining that she was on loan from the dragon reserve. He had thought that Morgan helping out with classes might help her problem, but thus far there had been no results. She also hadn’t found the energy to pull Charlie into another of her dragon trances, much to her dismay; and to his.

With Christmas fast approaching, Draco’s father had remained suspiciously quiet. There had been no trace of him since his stunt with the coral snake. Draco was exhausted, but Luna was still safe.


Two weeks before the Christmas break, Dumbledore interrupted the usual breakfast chatter with the announcement of the second Unity event.

“I would like to announce that our next Unity event will be a Yuletide shopping excursion this weekend in Hogsmeade. This event was planned last minute, that is the cause of the short notice. Unlike our last event, this will call for a partner of the same gender from a different house. Partners have already been pre-chosen and a list has been posted. This will be a good chance to again foster new friendships and purchase those last minute gifts. Thank you for your attention. You may now continue with your breakfast.”

Harry turned to his companions and smacked his forehead. “Great. Now I’ll probably get paired with Crabbe or Goyle.”

Ginny jumped up. “I’ll find out if you like.”

Before Harry could protest, Ginny dashed off in the direction of the bulletin boards. He turned to say something to Ron, but quickly decided against it. Hermione had her nose buried in a book by Gretchen Spellcastren called Charm Management Made Easy. Ron unblinkingly stared at her, his hand resting about a quarter of an inch away from hers’. This was their way of holding hands, since they couldn’t actually do it. Harry looked over to where Draco was, as usual, going through Luna’s mail. As if sensing it, Draco looked up at Harry. They both nodded at each other before Draco turned his attention to a parcel which was currently scuttling through Luna’s coddled eggs and sausage.

Ginny was headed back to the table by this time. “Harry, everything will be alright. You got paired up with Blaise and I got Cindra. Hermione got Luna and Ron got Draco.”

She turned and motioned for Luna to come over. “Hello, Luna,” Ginny said as the blond Ravenclaw and her shadow approached. “I just wanted to tell you that your partner for the shopping trip is Hermione. Draco gets to go with Ron.”

Draco protested quite loudly. “I absolutely refuse to let you go off without me, Luna.”

Luna smiled sweetly up at him. “Draco, how will I ever get your present if you’re with me? Don’t you know it’s bad luck to see your present before Christmas?”

Hermione looked up from her book long enough to make her opinion known. “Draco, Luna and I are not helpless, witless females. We’ll be fine to do a bit of shopping without your supervision.”

“See, Draco,” Luna agreed, “We’ll be fine. Besides, I have the perfect gift in mind, and I don’t want the surprise ruined.”

Draco fought within himself. He didn’t want her out of his sight, but at the same time, she deserved some free space to do what she wanted. Luna and Hermione were both good witches. He supposed he had no choice.

“All right, but Ron and I will be close by if something comes up, right?”

Ron was, in his present state, perfectly capable of not responding. Hermione decided she was tired of his moping. “Ron, please…it’s for Christmas! We have to shop for each other. We’ll both be at the Burrow for Christmas and we can talk to your mum. Won’t Christmas be spoiled if we don’t have gifts to give each other and then we get rid of our little problem?”

“Oh…all right, Draco. I’m game if you are. We’ll keep an eye out for you girls, but also give you your space.”

While this exchange took place, no one noticed that Harry and Ginny had slipped out of the Great Hall.


“Ooo, Harry, we’re being so bad! I’ve never done this before,” Ginny said, as she and Harry headed for the Quidditch pitch clutching their Firebolts.

“Well, Ginny, I thought we could use a break, even if it means cutting a class.”

As they reached the Quidditch pitch they realized their plans to fly around for a bit were foiled. Madam Hooch was out on the field with the first year fliers.

“Oh bollucks! Now what do we do?” Ginny asked petulantly.

Harry looked around quickly and then pulled Ginny beneath the Hufflepuff spectator stands.

Ginny looked around the dim-lit space. “Okay, what do we do now?”

Harry took Ginny‘s Firebolt and leaned it along with his against the inside of the stands. “I don’t know about you, Ginny, but I’m feeling like having a bit of a snog. Trying to keep Ron and Hermione from going nutters is getting to me.”

Ginny smiled slyly up at Harry, wrapping her arms around his neck. She raised up on her toes until her lips were only a breath away from his. “All right, Potter, just as long as you behave. You never know when I might have to write to Mum and ask for one of those charms for myself.”

Harry smiled. “You are just a little bit evil, Ginny,” he whispered, before leaning in and kissing the sly little smile right off her face.


Powdery drifts of new-fallen snow shifted in cold December gusts as Hogwarts students made their way to Hogsmeade village. The members of the Order of the Dragon all walked together in one large group until they’d made it to the edge of town. Here they split into their groups of two and went about their shopping.

“All right, Potter,” Ginny warned, “nothing expensive. Just sweet, simple, and to the point. Don’t think I won’t Bat-Bogey Hex you just because you’re my boyfriend, not to mention a great kisser.”

Harry smiled and chucked Ginny under the chin. “Not to worry, I’ll be very discreet.”

As Ginny kicked her way through the piles of fluffy precipitation after Cindra she turned to Harry once more, tapping the wand in her pocket as a warning. Harry nodded and smiled, waving as he followed Blaise in the direction of the nearest row of snow-capped shops.


Not far from where Ginny was threatening Harry, Draco and Ron were now preparing to part ways with Hermione and Luna.

“Luna, be careful, pet. We won’t be far off if you need us,” Draco said, letting go of her hand and dropping a quick kiss on her cheek.

“Really, Draco, we’ll be fine. You boys run along and play nice.”

Ron looked longingly at Hermione. Tiny, crystalline snowflakes fell, getting trapped in her chestnut curls. “Be careful, ‘Mione.”

Throwing caution to the wind, Ron leaned forward and placed a quick kiss on her cheek which resulted in his being thrown against the nearest building. Hermione seemed frozen to the spot, touching her cheek from her first contact from Ron in weeks. Luna happily grabbed her by the arm and drug her away as they’d seen her do with Draco so many times.

As Ron got up and dusted the snow off of himself, Draco arched one blond eyebrow in a silent question. Ron shook his head. “Don’t ask. By the way, I told Harry we’d meet him and Blaise over at Shrivecrofts. You ready?”

Draco cast one more glance at Luna who was standing in front of Honeydukes jumping up and down and motioning for Draco to go away. “All right, let’s go.”


Luna had dragged Hermione into just about every shop in Hogsmeade. Hermione had so far picked up a new Fwooper feather quill and a jumbo box of Chocolate Frogs for Ron. Luna had purchased something called Tornado Taffy for Draco, and also a book called Blue-Crested Willawomps: Now You See Them, Now You Don’t. They were now in a store called Mrs. Twizzle’s Stuffty Emporium. Hermione was fairly certain she wouldn’t be making a purchase here.

Garish red and purple polka-dot shelves lined the walls, perfectly matching the solid purple floors and red ceiling. The whole place made Hermione feel quite dizzy. Every shelf was jam-packed with stuffed animals of varying types and colors. Luna immediately began browsing the shelves, finally pulling down a white stuffed wolf with ice-blue button eyes.

“See, Hermione? It’s like Draco’s Patronus. I can record a personal message for Draco on her and it also talks. I saw this place advertised in the last edition of the Quibbler.”

Luna pushed on the wolf’s nose. “OWWWWW! My name is Howler. Do you want to record a personal message?”

“Oh yes please, Howler. Eh hem…Draco, you are quite possibly the most fascinating person I know. Please always stay that way my incredibly handsome mail sorter. Love, Luna.”

Luna again pushed on the wolf’s nose, which made it play back her message. When Howler was done, he said, “Luna, you seem to be a very nice person and it will be a pleasure to be of service to you.”

Luna held him up for Hermione’s inspection. “See, Howler here can keep Draco company when we’re apart so he doesn’t get lonely. You should get one for Ron too.”

Moments ago this might have seemed ludicrous to Hermione, until she really thought about it. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad idea; giving Ron something he could cuddle with and that she could record a message for him on. Hermione began to carefully scrutinize the shelves around her. After a few minutes of searching, she found a cinnamon-brown bear with black glass bead eyes. She picked him up and tapped him on the nose.

“Hullo, my name is Grizzle. Would you like to record a personal message?”

A small part of Hermione felt silly talking to a stuffed bear. “Yes please. Uh…Hello, Ron. I know things are hard right now, but please remember that I love you and that you have Grizzle here to keep you company.”

“Miss, is you don’t mind me saying,” Grizzle said, after playing back his message, “you sound a mite sad. Cheer up. I’m sure things will get better.”

“Thanks, Grizzle,” answered Hermione, who wasn’t feeling quite as bad about talking to a stuffed animal. After all, it could carry on a conversation with you.

The girls had their purchases wrapped and headed out of the Emporium. “Where to next?” Hermione asked, using her hand to shield herself from the oncoming snow which now fell in Galleon-sized flakes.

Before Luna could answer, the girls crashed into a small man dressed in a Christmas elf costume. He was carrying a stack of red papers which he dropped as he landed headfirst into a snow bank. Luna quickly gathered his dampened papers while Hermione helped him out of the snow drift which threatened to engulf him.

“Oh, I’m terribly sorry. Are you hurt?”

The tiny man dusted snow off of himself and took his stack of fliers from Luna’s outstretched hand. “No, no, I’m fine dear girl. Just out trying to drum up some business for Madam Puddifoot. It’s a bit dead in there today,” he explained, handing Hermione and Luna each a flier. “You should drop by for some refreshments. Well, I must get back to work. Stop by if you can!”

The little man and his stack of fliers scurried off into a gust of powdery flakes. Luna held up the flier which advertised new types of herbal relaxation teas.

“How about we go for a hot drink, Hermione? It won’t be crowded since there’s not any boy/girl couples roaming about.”

Hermione thought tea sounded heavenly, so she and Luna started off through the swirling snow in the direction of Madam Puddifoot’s.


The ice frosted over the windows at Shrivecrofts did nothing to hide the fact that they were busy. Shrivecrofts was the only jewelry store in Hogsmeade and it seemed that just about every Hogwarts boy was there buying his sweetheart a Christmas present.

Ron and Draco pushed their way into the store weaving between people until they met up with Harry. Blaise was on the other side of the store.

“Been keeping an eye on your women?” Harry asked with a grin.

“As a matter of fact, we have,” Ron answered. “They’re over at Madam Puddifoot’s.”

It was Harry’s turn to raise the questioning eyebrow.

Draco looked over in the direction of the little café that catered to couples and smiled. “It was probably Luna’s idea. I’ll leave you two to your shopping. I’ve got to see if this place has a unique gift for a unique girl.”

Draco had already purchased an enormous box of chocolates for Luna that would be delivered to her home on Christmas day. This was to make up for all of the boxes she’d gotten in the mail that he’d chucked. Now he needed something special to give to her in person.

After searching every case in the store, Draco returned to the one display that had caught his eye. Inside was one item; a three-strand necklace of Tahitian pearls. He thought of the strand of fake pearls her father had sent her and then looked at these light silver pearls with hues of pink. The three strands fastened with a pink diamond clasp. There was nothing else like it in the whole store. One of the salesgirls approached.

“Are you contemplating buying this necklace young man?”

“I’m not contemplating it,” Draco answered. “I’m buying it. Wrap it up.”

“But sir, don’t you want to hear the price? It’s very expensive..”

Draco took one more look at the pearl choker and knew Luna had to have it. “I don’t care what it costs,” he said. “Please just wrap it up.”

Ron didn’t have the unlimited funds of Harry and Draco. He was looked at some modestly priced, but very beautiful polished jade bracelets. He was trying to decide which one he liked, when one caught his eye. It was made of emerald green Imperial jade and had a card hanging from it which read:

Handcrafted in Tomari, Okinawa. All proceeds will be donated to H.U.R.L.- the House-elf Urban Release League. Free membership with purchase.

Despite Ron’s mood as of late, he couldn’t help thinking that H.U.R.L. reminded him of S.P.E.W. Smiling a bit, Ron decided that this was the gift for Hermione.

Harry was currently perusing a display case of singing jewelry. Each ring, necklace, ornamental comb, and broach was fitted with a singing dark-green boulder opal imported from Queensland, Australia. A Silencing charm had been placed on the case as each piece of jewelry was currently belting out a different tune. Harry thought they were amusing and was just trying to decide which one to buy. He’d already given Ginny her Sweet Dreams ring, and she had Rowena’s amulet which she always wore. Off in one corner of the case Harry spotted a silver ornamental comb with one large opal flanked by two smaller ones. Sunburst stars were engraved in the top of the comb surrounding the trio of opals.

Harry asked the nearest salesgirl if he could have a look at it. She pulled on a large pair of earmuffs before opening the cabinet with a key from her pocket. High-pitched singing filled the store. The salesgirl quickly snatched out the comb and refastened the cabinet. A tiny little face appeared on each opal. The three opals blinked their eyes sleepily before the largest one spoke.

“All right boys, look alive. A one, a two, a one, two, three…”

We want to go home with you

We really dooooo

Give us to your sweetheart

And she’ll always be true!

The opals sang in a somewhat high-pitched three-part harmony. Harry smiled at the salesgirl. “Wrap it up please. Oh, and could you put a Silencing charm on the package?”


Madam Puddifoot’s turned out to be just as Luna had predicted…deserted. The small circular tables were covered with red and green tablecloths. Fat red candles surrounded by holly sat in the middle of each table, and a large Christmas tree stood in the corner covered in strands of heart-shaped lights. If one looked up at the ceiling they would have seen that bushy sprigs of mistletoe hung over each table.

Luna saw the mistletoe and sighed heavily, shaking her head. “Well, I suppose this time of year Knarles are pretty well unavoidable.”

As the two girls took a seat, strong scents of pine and cinnamon assailed their noses. They were seated no more that a minute before Madam Puddifoot bustled out of the kitchen.

“Oh my! I certainly didn’t figure on having any customers today. I’m absolutely delighted. I insist on giving you girls the Christmas couples’ special…on the house.”

“What is the Christmas couples’ special?” Luna asked happily.

Madam Puddifoot smiled sweetly. “The special includes a plate of iced cinnamon scones and two cups of my special Valerian root tea. I guarantee it will…relax you after a busy morning of shopping.”

“The special sounds great,” Luna quickly agreed, setting her shopping bags on the floor next to Hermione’s.

Moments later both girls sat quietly sipping their tea and eating the delicious scones. Madam Puddifoot insisted on re-filling their cups whenever they’d drained them. Hermione truly was feeling relaxed. Midway through her third cup, Hermione began to feel very strange. Her limbs seemed to be made of wood until Hermione felt she could no longer move.

“L…Luna? Are you feeling alright?”

“No, not really. I seem to be having trouble moving. I’m also very sleepy.”

Hermione also found herself trying to stifle a large yawn. She and Luna could hardly keep their eyes opened as Madam Puddifoot approached.

“What do we say, girls? Had enough?”

Madam Puddifoot looked deeply into each girl’s eyes and smiled. “See, I told you a cup of tea would relax you.”


Due to the fact that Shrivecrofts was so crowded, it took Ron, Draco, Harry, and Blaise quite a long time to get done with their purchases. By the time they exited the store, Draco was quite anxious to find Luna.

“You lot don’t mind if we run over to Madam Puddifoot’s do you? Luna and Hermione have been in there an awfully long time.”

Ron also thought it was quite peculiar that they’d been there for so long and quickened his pace to match Draco’s, leaving Harry and Blaise to try and catch up. Before they’d made it halfway, Ginny and Cindra came running at them.

“Oh, Harry, it’s awful! They’ve found some man killed at Madam Puddifoot’s, and Madam Puddifoot was found locked without her wand in her own pantry, Stunned so badly they’re still trying to wake her up!”

Ron and Draco didn’t even take the time to exchange worried looks as they quickened their pace to a run. Before they could push open the doors to Madam Puddifoot’s they were stopped by Tonks and Mad-Eye Moody.

“I’m afraid you boys can’t go in,” Moody said gruffly. “An investigation is in progress.”

Draco looked like he wanted to toss Moody out of his way. Ron however, turned his attention to Tonks.

“Tonks, what’s going on? Where’s Hermione and Luna? They were in there. Are they hurt? Are they all right? What’s-”

Tonks motioned for Ron to be quiet. “Ron, Draco, ever since Lucius’ escape, the Order has patrolled the village on Hogsmeade weekends to keep students safe. Today was no exception. We’ve paid particular attention to you, Draco, and any of the students who were involved in his incarceration in Azkaban. Kingsley Shacklebolt saw the girls go in. When it seemed to be taking them too long to come back out, he went to check on them…but it was already too late.”

Draco’s hands balled into fists. “Too late? Too late for what?!” he asked angrily, hatred for his father coursing through his veins like a rocket.

Tonks shook her head sadly. “Hermione and Luna are gone. He took them. The only things we could find were their shopping bags and two cups of tea…laced with hemlock.”


A/N: I actually did a bit of research for this chapter. All of the items in the jewelry store were researched (some of you who have seen The 10th Kingdom may have recognized a part). Valerian root is an herb used for relaxation and for people who have trouble sleeping. Hemlock is poisonous, but only lethal if a large dose is taken. It will induce sleep and temporary paralysis.



Happy Hour by CraftySlytherin
Author's Notes:
Here's your official warning: There are scenes of underage drinking in this chapter. Hope you enjoy!

Hogsmeade and all of it’s surrounding areas, including the Shrieking Shack, had been thoroughly searched. There had been not one sign of Hermione or Luna anywhere. After Madam Puddifoot was awakened, Ministry Aurors were able to get at least somewhat of an account as to what had happened. Lucius Malfoy, heavily disguised, had put Madam Puddifoot and her Christmas elf helper under the Imperius Curse. Before doing so, she had heard Lucius muttering under his breath about getting a hold of those meddling females. Unfortunately Madam Puddifoot was unable to recall any events that took place while she was under the curse. When she had come around and before Lucius had locked her up and Stunned her, Madam Puddifoot had seen two things. The first was the Killing Curse used against her Christmas elf helper. The second was to see a ferocious-looking hulk of a man scoop up the two unconscious girls and Apparate away, leaving Lucius to deal with her. She’d been told many times that day that she was lucky to have been left alive.

Of course Aurors and Order of the Phoenix members were out searching, but it was as if Lucius Malfoy had dropped off the face of the earth.


Back at Hogwarts, Draco sat quietly fuming in a corner of the Slytherin common room. All of the Slytherins who were in the Order of the Dragon were with him, trying to give all the support they could.

Pansy Parkinson stalked menacingly over to their corner. “Oh poor Drakey Poo lost hims little freaky girlfriend. Now he will be so lonely,” she taunted, talking in baby talk.

Draco didn’t even look at her as he spoke. “Pansy, if I were you, I’d watch my mouth before I got my foot caught in it.”

A look of mock horror crossed Pansy’s face. “Oh no, Drakey Poo, I’m so scared! Did your daddy take your freaky little girlfriend away? You do know that’s what she is, right, Draco? Nothing but a big, fat,-AHHHH!”

Pansy’s tirade was cut short by several hexes that hit her all at once, all seeming to have come from the corner of the room where Draco and the other Order members were. Pansy now found herself bald, fat, with warts covering her face, and unable to speak anything but pig Latin.

“Ouyay arehay eadday, Acodray! Oday ouyay earhay emay? Eadday!”

Blaise shook his head. “You know, I don’t think pig Latin suits her. How about this?” he asked, again flicking his wand at Pansy.

“Yo soy gorda,” Pansy wailed, now in Spanish. “Donde esta mi madre? Madre!”

Pansy turned and fled as fast as her fat legs could carry her. “Nice job, mates,” Blaise said, congratulating everyone.

Draco looked like he was about to say something when a scared-looking first year approached him. “Mr. Malfoy, sir?” the boy said, holding out a letter. “My owl just delivered this to me but it has your name on it.”

Draco anxiously snatched the letter from the boy, sure it was from his dad. Again, his instincts didn’t let him down.

Draco, I was feeling a bit bored so I decided to borrow you and Weasley’s little wenches to keep myself amused. Oh and they are amusing. Enclosed you’ll find a photo we took just a bit ago. I hope you enjoy it. Lucius

Draco pulled the photo out of the envelope. When he saw it he found himself quaking. Whether it was out of fear for Luna or anger at his father, he didn’t know.

The photo clearly showed Luna and Hermione each chained to a marble block. Both blocks were propped against a stone wall. Both of the girls appeared to be unconscious. Suddenly a figure stalked in from the edge of the photo. This man was tall and hulking…and dangerous. Slowly he walked past each of the girls, pausing by Luna. An evil grin spread over his face as he reached out and stroked her cheek.

“No!” he yelled at the photo, finally noticing that there was a note attached to the bottom edge. His eyes quickly scanned the parchment.

What do you think of my watchdog? Get it? Watch…dog? Now here is the deal, Draco my boy. I am watching you. Always. If you or Weasley try to find these girls, I will know. If you try to find them, I may just decide to let Fenrir have a little taste of one or both of them. I will summon you when the time is right. For now, don’t worry. I’ll take special care of your ‘pet’. L.M.


While Draco was hexing the socks off Pansy and receiving his letter, Ron was lying face down in the floor of he and Hermione’s common room. He’d been that way ever since returning from Hogsmeade. He had plans to stay that way for a while. His plans were ruined by an insistent knocking on the door. “Either come in or piss off, I don’t care which,” he yelled. Moments later, Draco entered.

“I’ve had a letter from my father,” he explained gravely. “He sent a picture of Luna and Hermione.”

Ron quickly jumped up, crossing the room and inspecting the photo Draco held out. “Who’s that bloke in the picture with them?” Ron asked, barely able to contain the rage he felt as photo Fenrir touched Hermione’s face.

Draco frowned. “I’m afraid that’s Fenrir Greyback. He’s an associate of my father’s and…a werewolf.”

“A werewolf?” Ron asked, grabbing Draco by the arm and heading for the door. He didn’t even stop to think that they had no idea where the girls were. “We’ve got to go after them!”

“Wait, Ron,” Draco said, stopping short. “We can’t. Somehow, he’s having us watched. If we go after the girls, Fenrir here gets to bite them. If we go after them before my father summons us…they could be turned to werewolves.”

Ron collapsed into a heap on the floor. “Well then what in the bloody hell are we supposed to do? Sit around doing needlepoint?”

“If Zeppie isn’t being too bold, Zeppie thinks Mr. Ron and Mr. Draco could use a cup of Zeppie’s special tea. It will make misters feel better.”

Draco and Ron turned to where Zeppie’s voice was coming from over by the fireplace. Sure enough, he’d quietly set out tea for two on the copper table. “Please, Mr. Ron, have some tea. Zeppie is wanting to take care of Mr. Ron and Mr. Draco since they is not feeling so good.”

“All right, Zeppie,” Ron agreed. “We’ll have tea. But only while we try to figure out what to do.”

And so Ron and Draco sat on the maroon sofa in front of the fireplace, drinking Zeppie’s tea and discussing their options. Anytime one of them ran out of tea, Zeppie made sure to refill it.

“So do we just sit back and wait for him to write you again?” Ron asked, polishing off his third cup of tea.

“I don’t see where we have any choice,” Draco said, taking a large swig of his fourth cup. “By the way, this is excellent tea. I think I’ll have more,” Draco said, refilling his cup and sloshing tea over the edges. He suddenly noticed that he wasn’t feeling so steady anymore. “Hey, something funny’s going on,” he said slowly, feeling like his tongue weighed ten pounds.

“You know, Draco, you may be right,” Ron answered in a slightly slurred voice. “Zeppie! Where are you?”

Zeppie came from the kitchen carrying a fresh pot of tea. He was wearing a bright yellow jumper and orange knit pants that seemed to swirl around before Ron’s eyes making him feel nauseous. “Is misters feeling better?”

“Zeppie, what is this you’re giving us to drink?” Ron asked slowly, trying to enunciate.

“Oh, misters are drinking Zeppie’s special tea.”

“And what exactly, Zeppie my dear man,” Draco said, slurring worse than Ron, “makes this tea special?”

Zeppie pulled a large bottle out of his jumper. “This is Zeppie’s special ingredient.”

Ron grabbed the bottle and tried to read the label, finding it a bit difficult as the letters blurred together. “Ogmar’s…first…eclipsky,” Ron said carefully, smiling that he’d read it.

“No, no, Mister Ron,” Zeppie corrected. “It is being Ogden’s Firewhiskey.”

Ron’s eyes grew wide. “Zeppie, you’ve been getting us sloshed?”

Zeppie slowly nodded his head.

“Wicked! Hey, Draco, I dare you to drink some of this without the tea.”

“I will not participate in childish dares,” Draco said, staggering over and taking the bottle from a stunned Zeppie. In one long swig, Draco emptied half of the bottle. “No means no, and I said no. No!”

Ron took the bottle from Draco who had begun to spin in circles chanting no. “No…no…no ne no no,” he sang, as Ron followed his example and drank the other half of the bottle.

As Draco continued his ‘no’ dance, Ron hollered, “Hey, Zeppie! Bring us some more of your special ingredient, pretty please!”

Draco quickly tripped his way over and hid behind the couch. “Shhhh!” he said in a whispered slur. “We’re underage. We’re not asposed…sucrost…explosed…we’re not allowed.”

“I won’t tell anybody if you won’t, Draco buddy,” Ron assure him, tripping over his own feet and falling on the couch.

“Alrighty, Ronnie. Let’s shake on it.”

Draco extended his had to Ron, who had gotten back up.

“Wade a minute,” Ron said doubtfully. “Aren’t we supposed to spit on each other’s hand first or something?”

Draco nodded exuberantly. “You’re absolutely right, Ronnie. On three. One…two…thirteen!”

Ron and Draco both tried to spit on each other’s hands. Draco missed, instead spitting on Ron’s shoe. Ron had accidentally spit on Zeppie’s head when he tried to hand Ron another bottle of firewhiskey. A long strand of drool now hung from his bottom lip.

Zeppie wiped his head and Ron wiped off his mouth. “Sorry, bout that Zeppie.”

“It doesn’t matter, Mr. Ron. Zeppie is glad Mr. Ron is happy. Here you are misters.”

Zeppie handed Draco and Ron each a bottle of firewhiskey.


“Harry, are you sure we should do this?” Ginny asked as she and Harry headed towards Ron’s dorm. Both of them were carrying shopping bags.

“Tonks said these were the shopping bags Hermione and Luna had with them when they were taken,” Harry explained. “I think Ron and Draco should have them. Dobby came and told me that Zeppie had gone to serve both of them tea in Ron’s room earlier. Not to mention…what kind of friends would we be if we didn’t check on them?”

“All right, you’ve got a point. Dragon’s blood,” Ginny said as they reached their destination. The sight that met them when they entered the common room was unexplainable. Draco was climbed up inside the lion fountain looking for something called a Plothrunt. Ron was running around with his arms stretched out to the sides and making airplane noises. Standing flat against the wall by the kitchen stood Zeppie, covering his eyes with his hands.

“Bloody hell!” exclaimed Ginny, taking a page from her big brother’s book. “They’re both snockered!”

“Harry and Ginny!” Ron slurred loudly, stumbling towards them with his arms out. Draco continued his search for Plothrunts, now crawling on the floor under the stairs to Hermione’s room.

“Everything all right, Ron?” Harry asked, trying to hide an amused smile from Ginny. If she knew that Harry found any amusement whatsoever in this situation, his life might be in jeopardy.

“Sure, mate, sure,” Ron said, nodding his head in an exaggerated manner. He looked around as if to assure himself that no one was listening, and then leaned in to whisper loudly to Harry. “Dunno if I ever told you, Harry, but Ginny only wears green knickers now because they match your eyes. I overheard her tell Hermione about it over the-OWWW!”

Ron was cut short as the heel of Ginny’s shoe made hard contact with his toes. It was hard for Harry to keep his laughter in check, but he managed it.

“So, uh…what’s going on, Ron?”

Ron looked over to where Draco was down on all fours looking under the couch. “Me and my buddy Draco have been having a bit of Zeppie’s special tea.”

Ginny turned her attention to Zeppie who was no longer hiding his eyes. “Tea, Zeppie?”

“Yes, Missy Ginny…tea with Zeppie’s special ingredient,” Zeppie explained, pointing to an empty bottle on the floor. Ginny walked over and kicked the glass bottle over until she could read the label.

“Harry, they’ve been drinking firewhiskey!” she said, snatching the bottle up and holding it out for his inspection. Harry’s eyes scanned the label and again he stifled a snicker.

“Well, Ginny, let’s get these two on the sofa so we can give them what we brought. Zeppie, could you please make up a good deal of strong coffee?”

Zeppie nodded quickly. “Yes, Harry Potter, sir. Zeppie will do it. And also, Zeppie did not mean to make the misters crazy. Zeppie only wanted to make them forget about their missing Lovegood and Hermy.”

“I know, Zeppie,” Harry said consolingly as Ginny shoved Ron rather roughly onto the sofa next to Draco. “Please, just make the coffee as quick as you can.”

Zeppie headed off into the kitchen and Harry joined Ginny who stood in front of the sofa holding out a shopping bag to each of the two drunken sots.

“I’m sorry to give these to you two in your present state,” Ginny said a little bit more softly. Harry explained that they were found at the scene of Hermione’s and Luna’s abduction as Ron and Draco took them.

Ron stuck his head in his bag and inhaled deeply. In a few moments, he began to blubber. Draco carefully piled the packages out of Luna’s bag on his lap, a far-off look in his bloodshot eyes.

“I failed you, Luna. I let that stupid murdering git get a hold of you,” Draco said in a surprisingly serious way for someone who’d just been swimming around in a fountain looking for Plothrunts.

Ron’s head snapped up from out of the bag. “Well at least you could snog her good and proper before she got taken! I couldn’t even pat my hot lips Hermione on the juicy-looking bottom without getting flung into the nearest wall!” he wailed.

Ginny and Harry sat with Ron and Draco, forcing many cups of strong coffee into them until they started making a bit of sense. Ron and Draco had opted to open the packages the girls had bought. After hearing Howler and Grizzle’s recorded messages, they were both strangely quiet. A few more cups of coffee later found both of them passed out on opposite ends of the massive couch, each holding onto Howler and Grizzle for dear life. Harry and Ginny decided it would be best to stay with them overnight and sent Zeppie to let people know where they would be so no one would worry.

“Well, Potter,” Ginny said, yawning and stretching, “I’m going to go up and see if Hermione has some sleeping clothes I can borrow. I’ll be right back.”

“Need any help?” Harry asked innocently.

“Don’t even think about it, Potter,” Ginny warned, dashing up the spiral stairs to Hermione’s room. She came down moments later wearing a set of old flannel pajamas with dancing toothbrushes all over them. She was carrying a pile of blankets which she threw on a chair, grabbing two off the top to cover Ron and Draco with. Then she began to neatly spread the rest out on the floor in front of the fireplace. When she was done, she had created a cozy pallet. She grabbed a few overstuffed pillows from off the couch and threw them onto her pallet. Laying down, she opened one eye to look at Harry sitting unmoving, staring down at her from the armchair he sat in.

“I see you don’t have your ring with you, Potter.”

“How very observant of you, Miss Weasley.”

Coyly she patted the pillow next to her own. “Coming, Potter?”


Hippogriffs. It had to be hippogriffs that were marching through his head. Ron tried to open his eyes and push himself up, accidentally dropping Grizzle to the floor.

“Hey! How about picking me up? Your sweetheart was a lot more gentle,” Grizzle complained.

For the stuffed bear’s tact, Ron would have liked to send it sailing across the room. Instead he bent over to fetch Grizzle, trying to shield his eyes from the stabbing rays of the sun which pierced them. When Ron sat up he noticed Draco. Draco sat at the other end of the couch holding Howler quite tightly and staring at the floor in front of the fireplace unblinking. Ron turned his attention to that particular space and saw Ginny and Harry sleeping in each other’s arms. Ginny’s Sweet Dreams ring bound their hands together as they slept on blissfully.

“I slept with Luna like that once,” Draco said, dully staring at Harry and Ginny. “When she was in the hospital wing.”

Ron let his head fall forward into his palms, sighing heavily. “I don’t know how I’m ever going to make it through this. I’d like to rip your father limb from limb.”

Draco turned to look at the anguished red head on the other end of the couch. “Trust me…I know how you feel.”

As if to prove his point, Draco slammed his fist down on the copper table in frustration. Ginny woke with a start, shooting to her feet.

“Breakfast!” she exclaimed, realizing that Ron and Draco had seen her sleeping with Harry. “I’ll get breakfast!”

She started heading for the kitchen, quite forgetting that her hand was still attached to Harry’s. The jerking of his arm woke him.

“What’s the big deal?” he asked sleepily, until he noticed that Ron and Draco were awake. “Oh…right. Uh, Ginny, how about taking your ring back before you take my finger with it.”

Ginny smiled sheepishly, returning her ring to it’s normal size after Harry extricated it from his finger. She blushed a deep red as she escaped to the kitchen.

“Sorry,” Draco muttered. “I didn’t mean to wake you.”

Harry took in Draco and Ron’s pathetic countenances and pity flooded through him as well as concern. He was worried about his missing friends, and knew how he’d feel if he was in Draco and Ron’s position and Ginny had been taken. He’d feel like a part of him was missing.

“Don’t worry about it,” Harry said, gathering blankets and folding them. “We had to get up anyways for classes. Do you two feel all right? It looked like you were pretty well on another planet when we got here last night.”

Ron shook his head. “The only thing I can think about is getting Hermione back.”

Draco nodded. “I’m in complete agreement. But we can’t do anything with my father watching. He’ll sick Fenrir Greyback on the girls. I won’t do anything to put them in further danger.”

Draco handed the letter and the photo to Harry. Harry quickly read the note and then looked on in horror as the photo Greyback went back and forth between photo Luna and photo Hermione, touching their hair and cheeks with his grotesque fingers.

“Well I guess all we can do is wait,” Harry reasoned. “But nobody said we can’t do a little preparing in the meantime.”


The day finally came for Harry, Ron, Ginny, and Draco to travel to the Burrow for Christmas break. Dumbledore had arranged for the foursome to Floo from his office. As soon as they arrived they were greeted by Mrs. Weasley who clutched a letter in her hands. Deep concern etched lines in her usually smiling face.

“Draco, a letter’s come for you. I think it’s from your father.”

Draco tore the letter from Molly’s hands. With it was enclosed another picture. He held off on reading the letter for a minute as he noticed something strange about the photo. Luna, as before, was chained to a marble block. The marble block which had before held Hermione was now empty, the unused chains dangling to the floor.

Have Yourself a Miserable Little Christmas by CraftySlytherin
Author's Notes:
Well, here it is...the next chapter. There is some Latin translation in this chapter that I'm not totally sure of, since the forums were down and the Latin help thread was inaccessable. Mentis flexus is supposed to be 'mind shift' and Anima absolvo is supposed to be 'soul release'. If my translations are in any way incorrect, please let me know in your review and I'll let change them. Also, just in case you didn't read Caves of Concealment before this story, there's an amulet that Harry and Ginny use in this chapter that belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw and Godric Gryffindor. It shields them from spells and can strengthen their magic. I just wanted to clear that up so there's no confusion for readers who didn't read the first installment of this series.

“Where…is…Hermione?” Ron asked in a very calculated voice which held a bit of an edge to it. He stood looking over Draco’s shoulder at the Hermione-less photo. It then dawned on him that something else was missing that had been in the original photo…Fenrir Greyback. “And where is that werewolf maniac?”

Ron’s whole body began to shake with rage at the situation and fear for Hermione. Mrs. Weasley tried to step forward and comfort her son. “Don’t worry, Ron dear, I’m sure she’s fine,” Molly comforted, laying a hand on his shoulder.

Ron jerked away from her touch as if she’d burned him. “Mum, I can’t even talk to you right now. Do you know that your idiotic Chastity Charm made it so I couldn’t even so much as hold Hermione’s hand for months before she was taken by a stark-raving mad killer? Just…leave me be.”

Ron turned and fled out the front door of the Burrow. Molly gulped hard in an attempt to not cry, turning her attention to the other three. She grabbed Draco in one of her famous hugs.

“Are you alright, Draco?” she asked apprehensively, trying to avoid another emotional outburst.

Draco nodded as his eyes continued to scan this newest photo of Luna. Her head was leaned forward, her pale blond tresses blocking any view of her face. “I’m fine. Just thinking that my father will pay for all he’s done to ruin my life. He won’t be so fine.”

Mrs. Weasley, still a bit flustered, ushered Harry, Ginny, and Draco into the kitchen for an early supper. After she had them all tucked in eating corned beef sandwiches on rye bread, Molly grabbed herself a steaming cuppa and sat with them. She quietly regarded them over the rim of her rosebud tea cup before shakily setting it into the saucer, sloshing a bit of tea.

“Is it really like he says?” she asked no one in particular, her eyes downcast.

Harry nodded, even though she wasn’t looking at him. “I’m sorry, but it’s true. They’ve been that way since Hermione put the ring on.”

Mrs. Weasley nodded her head slightly. “I guess I owe them both an apology for overdoing it. Charlie’s coming this afternoon with someone named Morgan. Maybe I should let Ron be until he comes. Ron’s always been close to Charlie. Maybe what I have to tell him will come as less of a blow if he hears it from his big brother.”


Ron stayed away all afternoon. Just as Mrs. Weasley had said, Charlie showed up at about five o’ clock.

“Hey Mum,” he said, leaning over and kissing her on the cheek. Mrs. Weasley flung her arms around him. Her voice hitched a little as she tried to keep from crying when she spoke.

“Oh, Charlie! Thank goodness you’re here! Ron’s been gone all day!”

“Did you tell him?” Charlie asked, rubbing his petite mother’s back comfortingly.

“I didn’t get a chance to. He came at me yelling almost as soon as he got here. I don’t think I can handle telling him.”

“Well, I think I might know where to find him,” Charlie said, pulling back from his mother. “Do you want me to tell him about the charm?”

Molly Weasley knew Ron would not take the news well. She also knew that the charm plus the kidnapping was going to equal a pretty miserable Christmas for Ron. “Would you, Charlie? If you can do that I can fix his favorite dessert. You know, try to get his mind off of things for a bit.”

Charlie nodded and headed for the door. Before he made it out, Mrs. Weasley stopped him. “Oh, Charlie, where’s your friend Morgan? Didn’t she come?”

“Oh yes, she’s here,” Charlie said with a twinkle in his eyes.

“Well invite her in,” Mrs. Weasley insisted. “We can have a cup of tea and get to know each other while you find Ron.”

“Mum, Morgan’s out having what she called a walkabout,” Charlie explained with a smile. “I’ll introduce you in a while.”


Charlie found Ron on the far side of the Weasleys’ pond, near the edge of the forest. He was chucking large rocks into it’s chilly depths as fast as he could pick them up.

“Hey little brother, fancy a chat?” Charlie called across the water. Ron didn’t answer, and just sat on a large, flat stump in the edge of the woods as Charlie came around to join him. He didn’t look up as Charlie sat on the other side of the stump.

“I’m afraid I’ve got a bit of news for you.”

“Well go ahead and heap it onto the enormous pile of dung that is currently called my life,” Ron said cynically.

Charlie sighed deeply. “The Chastity Charm can only be reversed two ways.”

He now had Ron’s full attention. “What exactly do you mean?”

“Well, Ron, you know how Mum can be a bit overprotective sometimes. Well, she slightly overdid the charm,” Charlie explained, pausing for a moment. “The only ways to get rid of it are to get married or to…consummate your relationship.”

“Consummate?” Ron asked, confusion plainly seen on his face.

Charlie smiled, amused at his brother’s lack of knowledge. “You know…have a shag.”

“Oh. OH!” Ron exclaimed, understanding dawning on him. “But how do you do…that…with the charm’s side effects?”

“Well, I dunno,” Charlie reasoned. “I guess if you could withstand the loud sounds for a few minutes, I reckon that it’d be gone soon enough. But I don’t recommend doing it that way. Mum would flay you alive, as would Mr. and Mrs. Granger.”

“Well, it’d be Mum’s own fault,” Ron accused. Fresh anger at his mother bubbled up inside of him.

“Don’t be so down on Mum, little brother. Besides, I might just have something that could be helpful. Call it an early Christmas present.”

Charlie pulled an old, tattered book out of his robes and handed it to Ron, who carefully studied the cover. The book was called Soul Sharing by Lucinda Davies. “Soul sharing?” Ron asked quizzically. Charlie opened the book to the first page and pointed, indicating that Ron should read.

“It’s got to do with sending your soul out of your body. There’s an incantation to learn. If two people did this together, their souls could experience anything their bodies could. Whatever your soul experiences, according to the book, your physical body would feel; for instance, a kiss.”

“Okay, Charlie, two things. What are you doing with a book like this, and could I learn to do it on my own…maybe communicate with Hermione, wherever she is?”

Charlie smiled at Ron’s change in attitude. “First off, my reasons for looking at stuff like that is strictly my business. Second, I’m not sure about what you could do. I’m sure like anything else though, it takes practice. Now do you think you could find it in you to forgive Mum and come up to the house and let her know? She’s a basket case.”

“Yeah, I guess I could,” Ron said, getting to his feet.

Charlie fell in step beside him. “Oh and, Ron? I wouldn’t let Mum see that book if I was you.”


Ron and Draco were both about as cheerful as anyone who’s had their love kidnapped could be. Draco spent his time in the attic, which was his room whenever he was at the Weasleys’. Mostly he thought about the types of things he’d like to do to his father when they were finally face to face.

Ron spent his time shut in his room, absorbed in the book Charlie had given him. Most people assumed that Ron had no aptitude for book learning, but this was simply not the case. When properly motivated, Ron could be quite studious. Getting to where he could possibly communicate with Hermione was quite motivational. He’d learned the incantation, anima absolvo, and had tried it a few times, so far with only small results. Ron was pretty sure he’d managed to project himself into the oven downstairs where Mrs. Weasley was baking Christmas cookies. The shock of the heat had sent him right back. That experience had made Ron realize that he’d have to work harder at clearing his mind before attempting to leave his body. Also, never when the tantalizing smells from his mum’s cooking were wafting up the stairs.

The same evening that Charlie had given Ron the book, Mrs. Weasley had met Morgan, without Charlie’s introduction. She’d gone out to gather eggs for a caramel pudding for Ron and had found Morgan out by the barn. After screaming and dropping an entire basket of eggs, Molly had run screaming back into the house, yelling for her dragon-taming son to come do his job. After a stiff cup of tea and a proper introduction by Charlie, Molly had been thrilled with Morgan. She had even had Arthur cast a Warming Charm on the barn so Morgan could sleep comfortably. Mrs. Weasley could currently be found knitting a dragon-sized scarf in between decking the Burrow out for Christmas and baking.

Harry and Ginny spent a lot of time volunteering to do outside chores for Mrs. Weasley. It took them the better part of an hour one day to gather eggs. They blamed this on an overprotective hen who didn’t want to part with her eggs, but Molly wasn’t so sure. She did all of the egg-gathering after that.

Christmas Eve found the Burrow fully decked out in Christmas splendor. Branches of evergreen and holly hung everywhere. Smells of cinnamon and fresh baking snaked through the air. Fred and George came in for the night, bringing with them a star for the Christmas tree which belted out Christmas carols anytime anyone walked by. Bill and Fleur, who’d been dating for quite a while now, also came so they could share in the holidays. The whole family was gathered that evening in the living room after dinner, swapping past Christmas memories; everyone except for Charlie who was out in the barn with Morgan, and Draco and Ron who were each in their own rooms moping. Mrs. Weasley knew that they were worried about Hermione and Luna, but she was afraid they would make themselves sick with that worry.

While the rest of the family reminisced, Molly went up to the attic. Not bothering to knock, she barged in on the sight of Draco laying crossways on the bed, staring at the latest picture of Luna. She grabbed him by the wrist and pulled him to his feet. “Come on, Draco dear.”

She led him down the stairs and along the hall to Ron’s room, where she pushed open the door and led Draco in.

“If you two boys are determined to spend the holiday moping, you can at least do it in the same room, that way you won’t be alone.”

She gently pushed Draco in farther. “I’ll bring you boys up a tray of hot cider and fresh shortbread.”

With that she left, closing the door behind her. Ron looked up from the book he was reading to warily eye the Hermione-less photo Draco held.

“I don’t suppose you’ve heard anything else?” Ron asked hopefully. Hermione’s absence from the photo had him greatly worried.

Draco shook his head. “Sorry. Nothing.”

Ron nodded as if somehow he had expected that answer. He pointed towards a padded window seat on one side of the room. “You might as well sit down. There’s no way Mum’s going to let you up to the attic until bedtime.”

Draco made his way over to the window seat and sat down, pushing open the windows. Staying inside the four walls of his room moping had been more stifling than he’d thought. The cool night air that flooded into the room seemed to sharpen his dulled senses. He inhaled the crisp scent before noticing that Ron again had his nose in his book. As far as Draco knew, Ron had never been particularly studious.

“What are you reading?” Draco asked. “It must really be something.”

Ron looked quizzical for a moment before holding the book up to Draco. Draco moved from the window seat to sit on the end of Ron’s bed, taking the book and reading the front cover.

“Soul sharing?” Draco asked dubiously, raising one eyebrow.

Ron’s cheeks reddened as Draco continued his perusal of the book. “Charlie gave it to me to help with me and Hermione’s…problem. But I’ve been thinking that it could be used for more. Maybe…maybe I could talk to Hermione…reach her wherever she is.”

“Have you got it to work yet?” Draco asked, still a bit skeptical.

Ron again looked a bit embarrassed. “Well, yeah, I did do it…once. I just didn’t end up where I meant to.”

Draco eyed the book with new interest. “Will you show me how?”

Before Ron could answer, the same owl that always heralded correspondence from Lucius Malfoy flew in through the open window. He circled once to drop a letter, and then was gone back out the window with a flash of feathers into the night sky.

Draco eagerly snatched up the letter, sliding a new photo out of the folded parchment. Hermione was back, chained to the marble block with twice the amount of chains as before. Her head hung forward, keeping her face hidden from view. Luna, however, had her head up. Desperation flashed in her eyes, and her mouth moved as if silently pleading. Draco balled up a fist and punched the stone chimney flue that ran up through Ron’s room, busting open his knuckles. Ron took the letter from Draco and unfolded it. It held only two lines.

Miss Granger was very bad and needed punishment. Have a very merry Christmas gentlemen; I’ll be calling for you soon.

Ron balled up the letter and threw it down, then taking another look at the photo Draco held.

“Please, Hermione, please look up!”

As if somehow sensing Ron’s pleas, Fenrir Greyback entered from the side of the photo. He reached out, grabbing Hermione’s chin and forcing her head up. Both of Hermione’s eyes were swollen shut and her eyelids were discolored. A dark bruise marred the skin of her jaw line, and a deep, angry cut ran the length of one cheekbone. There were smudges of dried blood all over her face. Fenrir Greyback turned forward and smiled crookedly, roughly letting Hermione’s head fall forward.

Ron began to pace back and forth, his face set determinedly. “This can not continue! I’ve got to do something about this.”

Purposefully he strode over to the bed and snatched up his book, quickly flipping through the pages until he found what he wanted.

“Got an idea?” Draco asked, again sitting on the end of Ron’s bed and using the tail of his shirt to wrap around his injured hand.

Ron answered while he was reading. “We might be able to communicate with the girls without your father finding out. There’s another spell in here towards the back. It’s different that the other one I used. This one doesn’t transport your soul, only your mind. It’s kind of like telepathy, but we’d have to do a test first to make sure it works.”


Fred and George sat in the living room with the rest of the family, when Mrs. Weasley suggested that maybe they could go into the kitchen and get some hot cider for everyone.

“Wait, Mum, we’ll get it,” Ginny volunteered, pulling Harry to his feet. She dragged him out of the room by his arm before Mrs. Weasley could protest.

“I’m starting to trust those two less and less,” she stated suspiciously.

“Now, Mollywobbles, they’re just young people in love. How much trouble can they get into in the kitchen? It’s not exactly as isolated as the chicken coop,” Arthur pointed out, purposefully using her nickname to embarrass her and take her out of attack mode.

George began to feel a strange tickling behind his ears. The sensation continued for a few minutes and Fred began to observe his twin with anxiety.

“George, please don’t flip out…just listen.”

George frowned, which he rarely did, causing his twin even more concern. “George, you all right?” Fred asked in a whisper.

“Yeah, hang on a minute,” George answered a bit tritely as the voice in his head continued.

“George, it’s Ron. Please don’t worry about how I’m doing this. I need to know if Mum’s headed up with the tray she was bringing. Just think your answer and I’ll hear you.”

George shook his head and then tried to think back to Ron. “Can you hear me, Ron?”

“Yeah.”

“Okay. Mum just sent Harry and Ginny to the kitchen to get cider, so I’m sure she’ll be up with your tray pretty soon.”

“Okay, George, I need you and Fred to keep Mum downstairs, no matter what. Draco and I think we found a way to talk to Hermione and Luna and I don’t want her to worry about what we’re doing.”

George smiled, easing Fred’s nerves. “Don’t worry, little brother, we’ll handle it. We’re experts at diversions. How long do you need?”

“Just a few minutes. I need to make sure Hermione’s okay. We just got a new picture, and she’s hurt pretty bad.”

“All right, Ronnekins. And I’m sorry about Hermione.”

“Thanks, George. About fifteen minutes should do it.”

“Hey, Fred,” George said to his twin, “let’s go check on that cider.”

George crossed his fingers as his unquestioning twin followed him down the hall. Come on Harry and Ginny, don’t let me down now, George thought.

Much to George’s delight, Ginny had Harry backed up against the counter, the hot cider completely forgotten. Good old dependable Fred, always up for a little mayhem, turned to George and smiled. Loudly he began to sing, with George following right along.

“Harry and Ginny-” “Sitting in a tree-” “K-I-S-S-I-N-G!”

By this time they had their little sister’s full attention. “I’m going to get you two!” she yelled running towards them, her face as red as her hair. George motioned to Fred and the two made a break for the living room, where they ran in circles around Molly’s chair, again singing.

“Harry and Ginny-” “Sitting in a car-” “Are they snogging?” “Yes they are!”

Ginny reached Fred first and ran after him, pummeling him with her fists. Fred fought her off using fake karate moves and loud ’hiyahs’. George continued singing.

“Harry and Ginny, kissing in a cave! Even there they can’t behave!”

“Mum!” Ginny screamed at the top of her lungs.

“Now see here you two,” Mrs. Weasley warned, coming to her feet. Suddenly she found herself in the middle of an impromptu game of ring-around-the-rosy. Fred and George each grabbed one of Ginny’s swinging fists and circled her around Mrs. Weasley and the chair.

Ginny again yelled as she was forced into their game. “Mum! Make them stop!”

Harry watched from his spot in the doorway. Little scenes like this at the Burrow showed him what a family was really like. He figured that Ginny could handle herself and decided to go up and check on Ron and Draco. With one last chuckle and shake of his head at the twins’ antics, Harry headed up the stairs.


“I don’t think I’ll be able to reach her,” Ron said with a shake of his head. “I was just barely able to reach downstairs with my own wand. I need more power.”

Ron leapt to his feet and ran over to his school trunks. After a few minutes of digging, he found Hermione’s wand. It had been in her shopping bags and Ron was keeping it safe for her.

“Draco, I need you to try Hermione’s wand. It won’t work as good as if Hermione was here, but it will be better than mine by itself.”

Draco knew this was the truth. He had seen Ron and Hermione’s wands in action together at D.A. meetings. He took Hermione’s wand, swearing he could feel a dull thrumming from deep inside the wand’s core.

“Ready?” Ron asked. Draco again took a seat on the end of the bed and nodded. Ron pointed his wand at himself and yelled, “Mentis flexus!”

After a minute, Ron’s features went blank as they had during their earlier attempt. Draco hesitated only a moment before aiming Hermione’s wand at Ron and saying, “Mentis flexus.”

A silver cord shot out of Hermione’s wand, twining around the cord Ron’s wand had produced. The cords then wrapped around Ron’s head.

This was the scene Harry walked in on. Not understanding what was going on, Harry pulled out his wand and pointed it at his best friend, yelling, “Finite Incantatum!”

Almost immediately the silver cords disappeared in a wisp of vapor. Ron shook his head, coming back to his senses.

“What happened? I was getting farther. Why’d you stop?”

Draco held up his hands, shaking his head. “Don’t look at me,” he said, pointing over his shoulder to where Harry stood looking very confused.

“I didn’t know what was going on,” Harry explained. “What were you two doing?”

Draco was a bit aggravated that they’d been interrupted. “Oh nothing much, just trying to communicate with our girlfriends who’ve been kidnapped. No big deal. Please, feel free to hold us up longer.”

Ron got up and walked across the room. He handed Harry the latest photo of Hermione and Luna. As Harry studied the photo, Fenrir kept lifting Hermione’s battered face and then letting her head drop, grinning like a lunatic. Anger flooded through him as he saw his best friend’s injuries over and over again. “I’m sorry,” he said. “But maybe I can help.”

“How can you?” Draco asked a bit harshly. Anger at his father and worry for Luna had his nerves worn all the way down. “Unless you can help us strengthen a telepathy spell that is.”

Harry stood helplessly quiet for a minute before an idea came to him. “I might be able to do just that,” he said, turning back to leave the room. “We’ll need Ginny.”

“Harry?” Ron asked, stopping his best friend in his tracks.

Harry turned and smiled at Ron. “I’m just getting us a little help from Godric and Rowena.”

Ron nodded in understanding as Harry left the room.


After a few minutes, Harry returned with Ginny in tow. With them they brought a tray of hot cider and shortbread, which Ginny sat on Ron’s dresser.

“Sorry it took so long,” Harry apologized. “I had to get Ginny away from Fred and George. They were getting ready to tie her to the Christmas tree and do an Indian war dance around her. Your mum’s got them cleaning up because they knocked the tree over. And here’s the tray she was bringing up. We told her we’d join you and we’d all have a nice long chat. So, shall we get started?”

Harry pulled a chair over by Ron’s bed and sat. “What’s the incantation?” he asked.

“It’s Mentis flexus. You ready?” Ron questioned.

“Just a minute,” Harry said, pulling his lion amulet half out of his shirt. He cast a questioning glance at Ginny. She came and sat with him, pulling out her raven amulet half and snapping it into Harry’s half. The blue ribbon which now crossed the front of the whole amulet flashed brightly. “Now we’re ready.”

Ron nodded and then wasted no time in casting the Telepathy Charm on himself. Draco, again using Hermione’s wand, joined in. With the power of Godric and Rowena’s amulet, Harry and Ginny also cast the Telepathy Charm. Four silver cords now twisted and wound themselves around Ron’s head. Ron’s face again went blank and he fell back against the pillows.


It felt like he was flying. The landscape around him was a foggy blur of color. The previous times he’d tried the charm, he’d moved much slower. His racing mind suddenly stopped as if hitting a brick wall. Ron saw nothing but darkness.


Hermione had spent most of the day slipping in and out of consciousness. She was fairly certain she had a concussion. They’d beaten her quite badly for what she’d done. She’d performed wandless magic. Without the aid of her wand, she’d managed to slip out of the cold iron chains which held her. She was free no longer than a second before Fenrir Greyback again held her captive. She was now bound very tightly with enchanted chains which would most assuredly prevent further escape. Luna, chained next to Hermione, went back and forth from crying to ranting about what she would like to do to Lucius Malfoy and his minion. Fenrir had slapped her a good many times.

“Hermione?”

Hermione opened the one eye she could see a bit out of and looked around. In her hazy vision she saw nothing but Luna and the cold, stone chamber where they were being kept.

“Hermione, can you hear me?”

Now I know I have a concussion, Hermione thought. I’m hearing Ron’s voice.

“Oh good, you can hear me. And you haven’t got a concussion. I’m using a Telepathy Charm. Well, Draco, Harry, and Ginny are helping me. I had to know if you’re okay.”

“Well, I really do think I have a concussion,” Hermione thought back to Ron, “but all the rest I’m sure looks much worse than it is.”

“Hermione, can you open both of your eyes?”

“I can try.”

With much effort and some pain, Hermione was able to open one eye fully and the other about halfway.

“The book was right! I can see everything you can!”

“Oh, Hermione?” Luna said, trying to get Hermione’s attention.

Hermione turned to look at Luna, who was staring at her rather strangely. Luna smiled at her. “I do hope you’re going to be all right, Hermione. Oh, and hello, Ron. Listen, could you give Draco a message for me? Tell him that after I do a jig on the dead and lifeless body of his father that I’d like him to-”

What followed was a string of some of the naughtiest things they’d ever heard. Ron was sure that if his mind was with his body, he’d be blushing. They were both stunned enough that they didn’t even question how exactly Luna knew that Ron’s mind was with Hermione’s.

Hermione didn’t get a chance to reply as Lucius Malfoy came in followed by Fenrir Greyback. Fenrir was carrying an unconscious form, which he began to chain to yet another stone block on Luna’s other side. Luna had managed to wiggle one of her feet a little loose and as Lucius walked past her, she kicked him in his side.

Lucius doubled over with a grunt, but came up smiling. He patted Luna on the cheek as she smiled down at him.

“You know, Fenrir, I’ve been thinking,” Lucius began, his eyes scanning Luna’s pale face. “You’ve been such a great help to me. You deserve a treat.”

Lucius brushed a strand of pale blond hair out of Luna’s face. “I hope you’re hungry, Fenrir.”

Chaos Portal by CraftySlytherin
Author's Notes:
Well, this chapter isn't so full of action, but it is necessary to the plot. Also, there are no evil cliffies :) Get ready for a flashback into the Caves of Concealment.

“I hope you’re hungry, Fenrir, because I’ve brought you a crate of raw steaks. Finish chaining the boy and we’ll have dinner,” Lucius said. “Oh, and put some extra chains around this meddlesome witch’s feet.”

After Lucius and Fenrir had left, Ron, through Hermione’s eyes, was able to see the boy who was now a prisoner along with the girls. It was Neville Longbottom.

“He’s after Draco and all of the old D.A. members who put him in Azkaban,” Hermione reasoned. “Ron…Ron, can you still hear me?”

“The connection’s getting weak,” Luna explained. “I think he can still hear you, but he can’t speak to your mind anymore.”

Hermione concentrated as hard as she could. “Ron, if you can still hear me…please remember that I love you. No matter what happens to me, I always will.”


Ron shook his head as he came out of the Telepathy Charm. He felt so tired, and by the look of them, so did the other three. This kind of magic was powerful and took a lot out of you.

“They’ve got Neville now,” Ron explained weakly. “Hermione says he’s not just after Draco, but also the six of us that got him landed in Azkaban.”

Ron turned his attention solely on Draco. “I hope you know what you’re getting into taking on Luna. Somehow she knew I was there. She gave me a message to give to you.”

“Well, let’s have it,” Draco said casually. As Ron related the message back to him, a slow flush crept up in Draco’s cheeks. “There’s no doubt about it,” he said, a smile playing at one corner of his mouth. “Someday I may have to marry that witch.”

“I still wonder how she knew I was there,” Ron said, noticing that Harry and Ginny had fallen asleep in their chair from the strain of the spell.

“Oh that’s easy enough to explain,” Draco answered, crossing over to the window seat and leaning back against the wall. “She told me once that the reason she comes across so odd to some people is that she’s got a bit of a ‘twinkle’.”

“A ‘twinkle’?” Ron asked, yawning widely and leaning back against his pillows.

“Yeah,” Draco said, yawning back and closing his eyes. “Not always, but sometimes, Luna said she’s a bit of a Seer.”

“Oh…that makes sense,” Ron said tiredly, feeling the comforting drowsiness of sleep overtaking him. Ron and Draco’s conversation ended then and there as both boys succumbed to the invitation of slumber.


Christmas break ended without another word from Lucius. Ron, Harry, Draco, and Ginny returned to Hogwarts with promises to begin having some ‘just the four of them’ meetings so they could practice and prepare for the upcoming battle with Lucius and Fenrir.

The rules at Hogwarts were changed almost the instant they were back. This was due to the abduction of Hermione, Luna, and Neville. No student was allowed out of the castle after dark…period. Students could go out during the day, but only in groups and only with a professor. Hogsmeade visits were, until further notice, cancelled. The only way for Harry, Ron, Draco, and Ginny to go down to Morgan’s clearing was if Charlie was with them.

Anybody who cared to really notice Ginny would have thought she turned into Hermione. She diligently spent every hour she could spare in the library, looking for any spell they could learn and use in the fight to get back their friends. Oh yes, Ginny also carried a grudge against Lucius Malfoy. After all, it was he who gave Ginny Tom Riddle’s diary, exposing her to possession by him. The other three were in the library with her as often as they could be, but since their class schedules were different from Ginny’s, it wasn’t always possible.

It was here in the library during her study hall, that Ginny had an idea. She quickly scribbled a note and tucked it in her book with the edge sticking out. She knew that only Harry would have the guts to touch a book which read ‘Property of Ginevra Weasley’ across the front cover.

Ginny made sure no one was watching and quietly made her way over to Hermione’s favorite, virtually hidden alcove. Leaning against a tapestry of Godric Gryffindor, Ginny said, “Bollucks!”

The old familiar entrance opened allowing her access to the tunnels beyond. Using her wand for light, Ginny walked along the path she knew so well to the mouth of the large cave. She flicked her wand in the direction of the fireplace she knew was there and said, “Incendio!”

Flames sprang up at once and there was Godric and Rowena’s cave in front of Ginny, just as she remembered it.

“Miss Ginny? Is that you?”

Ginny grinned widely. “Milius! It’s great to see you. I’d hug you if I wouldn’t just fall right through you.”

“I’m pleased to see you as well, Miss Ginny,” the aristocratic ghost said. “And just hearing you say you’d like to hug me is enough for me.”

Milius looked around behind Ginny. “And where are Ron, Harry, and Hermione? I wouldn’t have minded seeing them as well.”

“Well, Ron and Harry are in class. I’m afraid Hermione, and a few of my other friends, have been kidnapped. That’s why I’m here…to see if I can find anything that may help to get them back.”

Milius shook his misty grey head. “I am grieved to hear it. Of course, the resources of the cave are at your disposal. I hope you can find something useful.”

“Thanks, Milius,” Ginny said, her eyes already scanning the cave and all of it’s wondrous contents. “Well…here goes.”

Ginny shifted through the contents of the room for the better part of an hour. She might have been in a bigger hurry if her study hall wouldn’t have been her last class of the day. Ginny was surprised that Harry hadn’t found her note and followed her to the caves.

Ginny coughed as a cloud of dust assailed her nostrils. She was currently going through a stack of old books, looking for anything of interest. After removing about fifty books from a large stack, Ginny came across a glass case. Inside of the case was yet another spell book. Ginny reasoned that it must be fairly special to be locked up. She searched the edges of the case until she found an impression in the glass. It looked like the amulet would fit into it; the whole amulet.

Ginny sighed, thinking it was too bad that Harry hadn’t found her note and come on down. Now she would have to go fetch him.

“Hey, Milius!” Ginny called to the ghost who’d been trying to stay out of her way so she could search.

“Yes, Miss Ginny?” he asked, floating over.

“What book is this?” she asked, indicating the glass case.

Milius looked thoughtfully at the case for a moment. “You know, I do believe that’s Godric’s spell book; all the spells he ever made up. He really had a knack for it.”

“Is there anything really powerful in there?” Ginny inquired. “I guess what I mean is, is it worth it to bring Harry down here to open the case?”

“Oh to be sure,” Milius quickly agreed. “As I said, Godric really had a gift for creating his own original spells. Undoubtedly it contains strong conjurations.”

Ginny pushed back up to her feet and dusted herself off. “Well, all right then. I’ll go get the boys and we’ll be back in a bit, Milius.”

“Capital. I really would like to see them.”


When Ginny got to the library, she discovered that her books had been taken. However, the note she’d placed carefully was now on the ground under the table. She snatched it up and stomped her way to the Gryffindor common room. As Ginny got to the portrait of the Fat Lady, she found that it was already swinging open and she could hear Harry’s voice.

“Come on, Ron! Charlie’s going to go with us down to Morgan’s clearing and see if she’s there.”

Harry wasn’t looking where he was going and crashed right into Ginny. When he saw who it was he had run into, he grabbed her and pulled her roughly against himself.

“Thank Merlin! I was about to think that Lucius Malfoy had gotten a hold of you!”

Ginny handed the lost note to Harry. He read it, a sheepish grin crossing his face. “Did I drop it?” he asked.

Ginny smirked and nodded. “I really could have used you down there. As it is, we’ll have to go back.”

“Go back where?” asked Ron, who’d finally made it out the portrait hole. “Oh, Ginny! There you are!” he said grinning widely.

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Well spotted, Ron. I was just telling Harry we need to go back down to the Caves of Concealment. There’s a spell book of Godric’s down there that could come in handy, but Harry has to help me get it.”

“Figures,” Ron said. “We going to take Draco?”

“Take me where?” Draco asked, coming down the corridor towards them. He looked at Ginny and smiled. “I see they found you.”

“I didn’t need finding,” Ginny explained, “just a boyfriend who doesn’t lose important notes I leave him.”

“Sorry,” Harry apologized. “Anyways, I think Draco has a right to go down with us. We are, after all, preparing to fight his father.”

“You know,” Draco began, “the man running around pretending to be Lucius Malfoy isn’t really my father anymore. I don’t really remember the last time he was.”

“Well, you don’t need that lunatic anymore,” Ginny said. “You’ve got a new family now.”

“Come on, you lot,” Harry said. “Let’s get down to the caves and have a look at this spell book Ginny’s going on about.”


Back down in the caves, Draco spun around in circles, somehow not able to find words to describe his surprise. Meeting Milius only stunned him more. Harry, Ginny, and Ron took turns explaining about the caves and all of the events that had transpired the previous year. It was a lot of information to take in all at once.

“You know, first you had to deal with my dear, Aunty Bella last year, and now my father this year. I appear to come from a long line of stark-raving mad lunatics,” Draco said matter-of-factly. “Anyways, where’s this spell book?”

Ginny led the boys over to where she’d been looking through spell books and pointed down at the glass case. “Let’s have your amulet half, Harry,” Ginny said, holding out her hand.

Harry gave Ginny his lion amulet half. She clicked it into her own amulet half and bent down by the glass case, pushing the whole amulet into the impression. There was a sound of compressed air being released and the top of the glass case slid open.

Ginny reached in and pulled out the worn book. Handwritten in ink across the canvas cover was ‘Godric Gryffindor’s Original Spells’. Ginny sighed loudly. “Just think…these are spells created by one of Hogwarts’ founders.”

“Let me look at it, Ginny,” Ron asked, stretching out his hand.

“No way, Ron,” Ginny said, shaking her head emphatically. “I found it, so I’m going to check it out first.”


Ginny stayed up until the wee hours of the morning going through Godric’s old spell book. Early rays of sunlight had begun to peek through the draped windows of Ginny’s dorm room before she finally realized how long she’d been up and that she had a full day of classes coming up in about two hours. More discoveries would have to wait until she’d had a few hours of sleep. Ginny carefully tucked Godric’s book into her satchel and laid her head down on the pillow.

The instant Ginny’s eyes were closed, the dorm room door slammed open. “All right, ladies, look alive!” Parvati Patil yelled. “Dumbledore’s just announced that the next unity event is a Gryffindor/Ravenclaw sunrise breakfast.”

Ginny groaned loudly, throwing her pillow in the direction of Parvati’s voice. She realized that, as a prefect, she had a responsibility to get up. Pulling the spell book out of her satchel, Ginny went through the motions of getting ready. If nothing else, she could catch a nap in History of Magic, which was her first class.

“Find anything yet?” Harry asked as she stumbled into the common room.

Ginny shook her head. “Not yet, and I’ve been at it all night. I’m going to look while we eat with the Ravenclaws.”

Ron was waiting for them outside the portrait hole. Ginny was actually surprised he’d slept in the Head’s dorm last night. Ever since Hermione’s kidnapping, Ron had taken to sleeping on the Gryffindor common room couch. When Ginny got close enough to Ron to smell him, she could tell exactly where he’d spent the night. Anyone who knew Hermione well, knew she used a sweet-smelling citrus perfume called Lemon Enchantment. This was the scent Ron was currently sporting. Ginny knew he must have slept in Hermione’s bed. Pity for her brother welled up in Ginny, and she would have flung her arms around him if he wouldn’t have got embarrassed.

“Okay, big brother?” she asked gently, as they headed down to the Great Hall with Harry.

“Okay as I can get,” Ron said quietly. “I’ll be glad when this whole bloody mess with Lucius Malfoy is over.”

“Did you talk to Draco last night?” Ginny asked, suspecting that Ron’s melancholy mood stemmed from an ‘I want to kill Lucius’ session that the two commonly had.

“Yeah,” Ron said, “Pansy was giving him a hard time, so he slept in the Heads’ dorm. He says Slytherin gets to have a ‘sunset supper’ with Hufflepuff tonight.”

“Oh, so they’re doing it too,” Harry said as they finally arrived in the Great Hall. There was one large table instead of the usual four. The chairs were alternating purple and gold, indicating that each student would be flanked by two people from the other house. Ginny, Harry, and Ron sat one chair apart from each other with Ginny in the middle. Padma Patil and another 7th year Ravenclaw girl sat on either side of her.

While breakfast was served by cheerful house-elves, Ginny again immersed herself in Godric’s spell book. Not really paying attention, she shoveled in porridge while she read, accidentally dropping a great big glop of it on the edge of the pages.

“Bollucks!” Ginny cried, grabbing a napkin and dabbing at the book. At her words, the book fell to the table, quickly flipping open to a blank page at the back. Right before Ginny’s eyes, a pencil drawing began to appear on the page in front of her. She glanced at everyone around her, noticing that they were too preoccupied with their breakfast and socializing to notice what she was doing.

“Excuse me, but did you say bollucks?”

Ginny turned to the source of the voice, which just so happened to be the pencil drawing. It was of a slim-faced woman with long, dark hair. “That was always one of Godric’s favorite words. He loved to curse! Now, is there something I can help you with?”

Again, Ginny looked at the people surrounding her. The pencil-drawing woman smiled. “Don’t worry, no one but you can hear me.”

Ginny suddenly remembered where she’d seen this face before. The statue coming out of the caves…it was Rowena! “That’s right, dear. Now, let’s see if I can guess what you need, that way you don’t have to look crazy by talking to a book. Just nod if I get it right. You need…a terrific spell?” Rowena guessed.

Ginny nodded and Rowena continued. “Okay, you’d…like to hex the socks off of another student?”

Ginny shook her head. “No? Okay…you…want to help a friend?”

Ginny nodded emphatically. “Boy, I must be more tired than I thought. This has to be a daydream,” Ginny thought.

“Oh no, not that old rot. Dear, you are not daydreaming. Now where was I? Oh…is your friend in mortal peril at the hands of a deranged lunatic?”

Ginny, still a bit dumbfounded, nodded once more. Pencil-drawing Rowena smiled. “Well dear, it’s been a pleasure. I hope you find this useful!”

The worn parchment pages of Godric’s spell book began to ruffle quickly as if there was a strong wind. As suddenly as it began, the book stopped, staying open on a section called ‘dimensional magic’. Ginny quickly scanned the spells in that section until…there it was, right in front of her. If any spell could best Lucius Malfoy, this was it. It was if it had been made especially for them.

Ginny leaned forward and whispered loudly to Harry. “Oi, Potter! I’ve found it. You, me, and the two you-know-whos, right after dinner, and you know where.”

Harry nodded to let Ginny know that he understood her message. Ginny could only hope they could master the spell before Lucius Malfoy called for them.


That evening found Harry, Ginny, Ron, and Draco in the Room of Requirement. The only thing in the extra-large room was a pile of humungous teddy bears, and four poufs for the teens to sit on. Ginny paced back and forth at the front of the room, ready to explain the spell she’d found.

“Okay, first I have to tell you that this spell book is enchanted,” Ginny began. “That’s how I knew the exact spot to find this spell. I got a little help from Rowena.”

Ginny opened the book to the back, revealing the unmoving, unspeaking pencil sketch of the Hogwarts founder. “She’s the one who led me to this section,” Ginny said, now holding the book open to the dimensional magic section. “And that’s where I found this spell,” she explained, flipping to the page she had marked.

“Chaos Portal?” Draco asked skeptically.

“Yeah,” Ginny said excitedly. “See, it’s a four-person spell. And we’ve all done a spell together before, so why not again?”

Ron took the book and studied it carefully. “I dunno, Ginny, it looks pretty complicated.”

Ginny jerked the book away from Ron. “The four of us together projected your mind who knows how far. Trust me, we can do it.”

Ginny scanned the faces of all three boys, daring any of them to challenge her. After a moment of silence, in which the boys merely squirmed under her glare, Ginny continued. “Okay, like I said, it’s a four-person spell, but we each have a different spell to do. The first person casts a container around the person or thing we’re casting the portal on. The incantation is Cohibeo. The next person casts a spell to speed up time in the container. That incantation is Tempus Fugit. The third person casts a spell to bend time in the container. The incantation to do that is Tempus Inclino. The fourth person casts the most important part. As long as all of the other parts have been cast correctly, the last part causes the portal. The fourth incantation is Tempus Rumpo. This spell breaks time in the container, causing an unstable environment which is what causes the portal. Now we need to assign parts.”

“I want the time-breaking part,” Draco said immediately. “I want to be the one who does him in.”

“Okay,” Ginny said. “Now of the rest of us, the strongest person should cast the container spell.”

Ginny fingered the chain of her amulet half. “Harry, I really think you should do the container spell. If you wear the whole amulet, the container will be powerful, and that’s what we need. If the container isn’t held the whole time the portal is going, it can get out of control and pull in other people.”

“Ginny, you know I don’t like the idea of going into a big fight without you having the protection of your amulet.”

Harry’s head was filled with flashes of last year; flashes of Ginny giving him her amulet half…Bellatrix cursing Ginny…Ginny in a coma for over a month. If she wouldn’t have given up her amulet, Ginny wouldn’t have been affected by Bellatrix’s evil spell. “No, Ginny. I’ll do the container spell, but I’ll do it without your amulet half.”

Ginny smiled sweetly. “That’s what you think, Potter.”

“I’m quite serious, Ginny. You’re not taking that amulet off.”

Ginny dropped the smile and stamped her foot. “You may be my boyfriend, Potter, but you can’t tell me what I will or will not do!”

“Okay that’s it!” Ron yelled, jumping to his feet. He fixed his sister with a stern gaze. “Whether you know it or not, you’ve been filling in for Hermione; all of the reading, being bossy, and now picking quarrels with the bloke who loves you. Can we please focus so we can get the ‘real’ Hermione back when the time comes?”

Ginny looked a bit dumbfounded. “Right then…Ron, you can…I mean, would you like to do the ‘time bends’ incantation?”

“That would be lovely,” Ron said a bit tersely as he sat back down.

“Well, okay…I guess that leaves the ‘time flies’ spell for me. So…you guys want to practice?” she asked, waiting for nods from all three guys. “And, Harry? Would you please wear the whole amulet while we’re practicing so the container’s good and strong and we don’t get sucked in before we get to do it for real?”

“Absolutely,” Harry agreed. Once the amulet was snapped together and hung from Harry’s neck, Ginny set up one of the oversized teddy bears at the other end of the room.

“All right, let’s send this teddy into limbo,” she said.

Harry went first, clearly yelling, “Cohibeo!”

The foursome heard a sound like two metal swords being clinked together, but saw nothing. Ron walked forward and tried to kick the teddy, finding his foot met with resistance. He walked around the invisible container, finding it to be about three feet square. Ron nodded to let everyone know that, although unseen, the container was definitely there.

After Ron stepped back in line with the others, Ginny flicked her wand and said, “Tempus Fugit!”

The air in the container whipped around in a circle, forming a small cyclone around the teddy. The container held fast.

“Tempus Inclino!” Ron said, continuing the chain of spells. The top of the cyclone folded over until it connected to the bottom, creating a circular frame of wind around the teddy. The other three looked at Draco expectantly.

“Tempus Rumpo!” Draco said, flicking his wand at the teddy and completing the spell. Lightening spiraled inside the container and what looked like a black hole began to form. Almost as soon as it began, it stopped, causing the cyclone to disappear and the container to dissipate.

“What happened?” Ginny asked Draco.

“I don’t know,” he answered, a look of determination crossing his face. “But I think I know how to fix it.”

Draco closed his eyes for a minute. When he opened them, he saw that the room had met his needs. Where the pile of teddy bears had been was now a stack of life-sized Lucius Malfoy models. Even the teddy at the other end of the room was now a sneering Lucius. “Let’s do it,” Draco said.

Harry and Ginny both cast their spells again. When Ron’s turn came, he pushed up his sleeves, his eyes never leaving the fake Lucius. “Tempus Inclino, you bloody wanker!” he yelled, brandishing his wand with such force that it was a wonder it didn’t fly out of his hand. The cyclone took much less time to bend this go around.

A look of sheer malice crossed Draco’s face, a bit reminiscent of the old Draco who had made their lives miserable. “Tempus Rumpo!” he snarled ferociously, aiming his wand at the copy of his father. Again, lightening forked through the container and the black hole began to reappear, this time growing considerably faster. The blackness engulfed the fake Lucius and in moments there was no trace of it or the Chaos Portal as they vanished with a loud pop.

“Well?” Ginny asked. “Think it will work?”

Draco continued to stare at the spot where the copy had just disappeared. “Absolutely. That’s the one. Now let’s get some more practice in. When we do this to him for real, I don’t want to leave room for mistakes.”