Heart-Talk by velvet
Summary: This is a one-shot about the strong friendship between Padfoot and Prongs, or better yet, Sirius and James. Sirius writes a letter to James on the eve of his wedding. These are the thoughts and advice of a marauder who's friendship with his best friend will last until the end. Please give it a chance, it'd be much appreciated!
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1632 Read: 1428 Published: 06/26/05 Updated: 06/26/05

1. Heart-Talk by velvet

Heart-Talk by velvet
Prongs,


Well this is it. Tomorrow’s your wedding day, and even though I know we’ve tried to fight it, the inevitable has happened. We’ve grown up. I’m writing to you as your best man, as in the man who’s known you the best over the years of your life. I’m not writing this so that you might perhaps see it tonight, or tomorrow even. But on that night in the far future when we are old and I give this letter to you, know that it was everything I wanted to say to my best friend, but felt I couldn’t. Knowing me, I’ll most likely let this letter slip my mind eventually, and you’ll never get to lay your eyes on it ever. But this is my way of venting my thoughts, as you know better then I that I’m not the best person when it comes to being serious.


To me it feels like now that you and Lily are finally getting married, the chapter in our lives titled ‘Padfoot and Prongs’ is coming to an end. Am I right? Because if you change James, then you know that I will too, since you are like a brother to me. Heck, you are my brother. Now I know that we’ll still have many good times together and make lots more new memories with Lily in them, but I can’t help but think of the past. Do you ever do that, mate? Maybe it’s just me, but bear with me as I take you down memory lane one last time.


Where to start? Remember the first day we met, on the train going to Hogwarts? It was as if we instantly clicked and knew that we could be future friends. And look where we are now! Definitely a highlight in my life, buddy. It was where we also met Moony, ah, good old Remus. Helped us through all the fights we ever had. Well actually I think we only ever fought once, over that stupid Snivellus/werewolf prank. Which by the way I am still feeling guilty about. Don’t know if you noticed but at the time I became really depressed when you wouldn’t talk to me and started ignoring me, but I know now that I deserved everything you did and am grateful that you forgave. It was more then I could’ve done at the time, being the immature marauder I was! I’ve never told anyone what I felt when that little episode happened, which is why this letter was the only way I could think to do it.


But anyways, back to the memories…I know we were the ‘IT’ people back in Hogwarts, were followed, copied, idolized, (for some unknown reason!), labelled popular, and somehow we got it into our heads that the world revolved around us. I guess it took Lily to slap some sense into our overly large heads because I know I’m not the person I used to be back then. And I know that you aren’t either. But we’re different in a good way. I mean I think we even went through a phase where we thought of ourselves as gods! (But, I mean the hoards of girls didn’t help matters much, eh?). But it was worth the ride, and I wouldn’t change anything about our school days. Not one prank, one trip sneaking out of the castle, one detention, one disappointed look from mom, (McGonagall), one adventure on full moon, one heart-to-heart talk, or one laugh. No, those were the best times of my life James. So thank you. I know you’ve always been there for me, and I’m not sure if I can say the same about myself. I plan to pull up my socks from the moment you say ‘I do’ tomorrow, and be there whenever you need me. From marriage problems (hehehe…well it is Lily after all!), to being the best godfather I can be to your child. I still can’t believe you asked me to be your baby’s godfather! I’m so honoured James, and again you proved your friendship with me through trust. But I mean it, buddy, this child will be able to come to me with problems whenever they need to, and I’ll answer them! Those being the problems that you cant answer yourself first, of course! Even if that is highly unlikely. But enough about that.


Since I am your best man after all, I guess you’ll be wanting some kind of advice, right? Well since I don’t have too much experience in the area, I’m going to do this the best I see fit. Get ready for this; these are the new infamous words of Sirius Black, dedicated to you. This is what I’ve learned about life so far. ‘Life isn’t about keeping score. It’s not about how many girls you’ve dated, how many friends you have, or even how nice (or messy!) you keep your hair. No, it’s about who you love, whom you’ve hurt, and about what you say versus what you mean. It’s about overcoming ignorance, ignoring jealousy, and seeing people for who they really are. And when you change someone’s life for the better, you realize that it’s all been worth it and that you’ve achieved your ultimate goal.’ You’ve changed many people’s lives James, Lily’s and mine included. I know you already have figured out the best way to live your life, am I’m jealous of you for that. You know where you’re going, and that’s great. But maybe we have to take time to remember where we came from amidst everything that goes on around us. So don’t forget anything from your past. I hope I’ve opened up your mind to just some of the many, (and I mean many) memories that you have shared with your best friends.


So go forward tomorrow with a clear mind on what you want for the future, but without forgetting the past. I know that you can give Lily everything she could ever want, and that you would even die for her. And know that even if the feeling’s not mutual, I would die for you. Die rather then betray a friend.


I know that you wont ever remember me as the person who is writing this letter, because after I set this quill down, it will be back to the usual comedian and all around good guy that I am, (ha ha). But it feels good to get this off of my chest finally. Just to tell you how much you have helped me and how much you’ve meant to me during my life is enough to make me smile. Or smirk as you so kindly put it. It’s so easy just to let my thoughts pour out onto this piece of parchment, and I’ve even had to stop a couple of times as my eyes have started to well up. But I’m not crying, are you kidding me? The Sirius Black cry?! Never. Although I think you are the only person who’s ever seen me cry, but you tell no one. I repeat no one. I bet you’re smiling now, aren’t you? I know you too well, I’m afraid.


I seriously don’t know why this is so hard for me. I think it’s because you’re moving on with your life, and it feels like im staying behind. But don’t get me wrong James, I’m so incredibly happy for you. You’ve been in love with Lily forever, and I know that tomorrow will be the happiest day of your life. It’s just that we always took that next leap of faith in whatever we did with each other, and I guess maybe I’m not ready for the responsibility of…well…myself. But I can handle it; I’m a big boy. Regardless of what anyone says. Ha.


So I hope you have a great time tomorrow, and hope that I’ve impacted your life at least a little bit. I know I wouldn’t be where I am today, or have as much self-confidence as I do if it weren’t for you. I’m grateful James, you’re an amazing friend, and I owe you. Maybe not today, tomorrow, or even this year, but I will repay my debt as a friend in the best way that I figure out.


This will be the last time I write to you as a marauder, because don’t you think that maybe we’ve outgrown that title by now? Nah, me neither. But just the same, I’m going to wrap up this letter. I’m alone in my house right now, the snow falling outside, with everything trapped in my mind, so it was about time that I released my thoughts. Hmmmm maybe I should think about borrowing Dumbledore’s pensieve!


So now that I’ve said all that I’ve needed to say, I’m going to put this letter away for a while, and maybe will think about it in later years, when we are all sitting around the fire one day with our families, (and little marauder juniors!). But until then, best of luck in whatever you set out to do Jimmy. You are my best friend, the person who I couldn’t bare to ever lose, funny as hell, but most importantly, my brother.


Padfoot
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=26104