A Different Kind of Admiration by mrsweasley
Summary: Hermione and Ron have always been best friends. Now, Ron has finally realized that he might want to take it to a different level. Luckily, and unknown to Ron, Hermione has too. (Mainly R/H) In the backround Harry and Ginny are finding out how much thier friendship, and maybe more, are worth. **FINISHED**
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 5 Completed: Yes Word count: 8738 Read: 18564 Published: 06/27/05 Updated: 09/25/05

1. He was just to thick... by mrsweasley

2. Their Confessions by mrsweasley

3. So did he by mrsweasley

4. A paper dove by mrsweasley

5. I'll Wait by mrsweasley

He was just to thick... by mrsweasley
Year six was just closing its second term, and the winter holidays were nearing. The Great Hall was starting to glow with tinsel and magic Christmas lights as Dumbledore was organizing the placement of the tree.

At the nearby Gryffindor table Hermione, Ron, Harry, Neville, and Ginny sat expectantly as Harry recounted his potions explosion that had happened during Professor Snape’s class earlier that day. This was the second replay Ron had heard that afternoon, and the story immediately started to bore him.

He picked up his fork and aimlessly pushed his mashed potatoes around into little mounds on the plate in front of him; the action was dull and he let out a long sigh. Repositioning his elbows on the table, he looked up and caught the stare of Hermione across the table from him. Her watch made his insides feel endlessly tangled, and he slyly let a half smile form as he held her gaze. She looked intently at him for a second, and then returned to her half eaten roast beef.

“Well, I think I’m going to go the library and get ahead on Professors McGonagall’s essay.” Hermione stood from the table, collected her books and looked once more in Ron’s direction. The group grunted their goodbyes but quickly returned to Harry’s climax.

After a few moments of splashing and gushing sound effects, Ron stood from the table, “Yeah, uh, I think I’m going to go back and catch up on some reading from Quidditch Tales in the common room. See you blokes later.” Ron tried to sound sincere in his plan as he left the dinning hall. Once his back was to the boys he took a deep breath trying to subdue the beating heart that was pounding in his chest.

He decided to take the long way back to the common room, past the library. With in minutes he could see the glowing aura created by the fireplace in the dark corridor, coming from the library. He slowed his pace as he approached the doors and nervously threw his clenched fists into his pockets. The library doors were normally both open allowing an open view of the massive collection of ancient book bindings. Ron leaned against the door frame allowing the fire place to be directly in his view. Sitting in the large leather lounge chair was Hermione. She had no books in her lap, just a pensive look on her face as she let the fire warm her.

Ron let a smile curl from his lips, it was hard to resist lately whenever he saw her. He could remember an uncontrollable rage at Malfoy for calling her a “mudblood” second year. He could remember the shell shock of her revenge third year when she punched him square in the face. He could remember hating Victor Krum fourth year for dating her. He could still feel her lips on his check from her good luck kiss in fifth year. But he couldn’t remember ever feeling like this. This wasn’t rage or shock or hate, this was admiration. It was admiration of her beauty, of her grace, and most importantly of her spirit.

Suddenly, amidst his reminiscing, it clicked with him. He laughed at himself for not seeing it before. He had always liked Hermione, he was just too thick to see it for himself. He proceeded to let out a soft snicker, mainly at his ignorance.

Yet even still something had changed over the summer holidays, something that finally caught his attention. She wasn’t so concentrated on her studies, although she still constantly talked about the importance of their nearing future, but wasn’t so uptight anymore.

Ron wanted to know everything that went on inside her mind; he wanted to walk through her thoughts. He let out a long sigh and ran his fingers through his outgrown red hair. God she’s beautiful. It seemed like the thought had been constantly running through his mind since September.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hermione had tried to study; she even sat down at the table with all her books in front of her and a spare piece of parchment within easy reach, but she couldn’t concentrate. It felt like all the blood was rushing through her at an uncontrollable pace and her pinning heart wouldn’t be able to take it much more. It was like he had a harness on all her thoughts. She hadn’t been able to concentrate in any of her classes lately because her mind wondered off in fantasies of Ron. The Ronald Weasley.

This wasn’t supposed to happen and in many ways she didn’t want it to happen because she valued their friendship. That thought always seemed to disappear though, whenever he’d smile or touch her hand or run his fingers through his hair. She loved it when he ran his fingers through his gorgeous red hair. Hermione let her thoughts wonder for a second with images of Ron.

She imagined herself in his arms, with him keeping her warm. She imagined him kissing her gently and telling her how much he loved her, and imagined him holding her hand on walks and sitting on the floor with him by the fire. Hermione shivered and wrapped her own arms around herself to keep the cold from penetrating. What do I do? What the heck am I thinking?

She wanted to tell him how she felt, but she was scared, love seemed to bring fear into her like nothing else. She could hunt the supposedly murderous Sirius Black, she could defend Harry and Ron with her life, she could fight Voldemort but she could not tell Ron how she was feeling everyday, how he controlled her world with a single smile.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry slapped Neville’s back, said goodbye and walked up to Ron who was lounging by the fire in the Gryffindor common room.

“Man, Quidditch practice was bloody hell today, raining like the flood out there.” Harry shed his coat on a chair and sat on the couch next to Ron, “can you believe this weather we’ve been having? A bit colder and we might actually get some snow.” Harry looked to Ron for some kind of response but Ron was lost in his thoughts. Harry cleared his throat, “Ron!” Ron jumped in his seat, startled from being brought back to reality.

“Harry! Oh, didn’t see you there. How was Quidditch today? What’s up with this bloody weather, eh?” Ron folded the unread book in his lab, sat it on the table in front of them and turned to face Harry.

Harry arched his eyebrows fervently, “Ron, what’s been going on with ya lately? You’ve been in a bit of a crank. Is something going on?” Harry asked as he moved his open hands closer to the fire.

“What are you talking about Harry? Nothing’s going on, nothing at all. I don’t, I don’t know what your uh, talking about Harry.” Ron coughed trying to cover up his uneasiness.

Harry hesitated for a second, debating in his head. “You’re in love with her aren’t you?” Harry said, raising an eyebrow as he turned his head to Ron, smiling a mile wide. The idea seemed to catch Ron by surprise as he faked a laugh and then tried to cover it up, “what are you talking about Harry? I think a bulger may have hit you a little too hard this time.”

Harry shook his head, “Ron! Would you wake up and see what’s going on!?! I see you staring at Hermione during dinner, leaving when she leaves, smiling at her when she isn’t looking, not concentrating in class. Shall I continue or are you finally getting the picture?” Harry raised his eyebrows, demanding a response.

Ron dropped his head, letting his hands clasp together with his elbows resting on his knees. “That’s the problem with having you around all the time Harry. You know me better than anyone, can’t hide a bloody thing from you.” Ron softly punched Harry in the arm, letting out a laugh. They sat there for a second, no words exchanged, both with boggled minds.

Harry finally sat back in the couch and lowered his voice, “but Ron, there’s something else. It’s not just you. I’ve seen her watch you. She gets red when you look at her, nervous when you talk to her, anxious to see you and she did her lab all wrong last week when you guys were partners. That should be a sign in itself. I mean, Ron, she’s feeling something too and I think it’s the same thing that’s making you crazy and distracted. Just,” Harry paused, “Just do something.”

Ron let the idea sink in as he gazed at the fire before him. “Harry, I love her. God, I love her so much.” Ron was relieved to finally say the words out loud. Harry patted him on the back and smiled “Well Ron, it’s about time. But don’t sit here and tell me that. Go to her, tell her everything and don’t let her leave without letting her know that you love her. You two are made for each other.”

Ron didn’t even respond, stood up, grabbed his coat and headed through the painting on the wall.
Their Confessions by mrsweasley
**A/N** Writing all the romantic-gushy stuff isn't my strong point, but I actually kind'a like how this one turned out. Please REVIEW! I'd love to know what you think. just a 'yea' or 'nay'. gotta know if i should keep writing!
for all you h/g shippers, thats for next chapter!

______________________________________________________________

Ron was flying down the corridors of Hogwarts and with in minutes he was nearing the library doors and flew in.

“Hermione! I have - ” Ron stopped midsentence when he realized that Hermione was no longer sitting in the lounge chair by the dwindled fire.

Where is she? Ron questioned, and took one more look around the book filled room and left confident that she wasn’t there.

He started walking down the hallway that led to the courtyard outside. The wind whipped around him, the cold causing him to shiver. He had no idea why he was going to the courtyard, but he knew that she’d be there. She always went there when she really needed to think. As he got closer he smiled when he saw her sitting on the fountain’s sill. Snowflakes had just started to fall and they were floating on to her dark cloak.

He stopped walking, trying to find the perfect way to say everything he was thinking. He started pacing the hallway, rocking back and forth like a pendulum. His hands inside his pockets were trembling and his mind was racing faster than he could follow it. Ok Ron, he thought to himself, be calm. Just tell her how you feel.

With one more deep breath he moved closer to the courtyard and, coming into view from the hallway, Ron cleared his throat, “Hey Hermione.” Ron smiled warmly as she looked up, slightly startled.

“Oh, hello Ron. What are you doing here?” she said as she stood up, looking him in the eyes, and shoved her hands into her pockets. She started to dart his stare. “How did you know I was here?”

Ron took one more deep breath, “You come here to think.” His voice was quivering uncontrollably.

Deep breaths, Ron. Deep Breaths, he thought to himself while taking a step closer to Hermione, “You sit right here on the fountain’s ledge and you always sit in the sun, to warm you up,” he took another step closer, “even when it’s bloody hot outside.” Having no idea what compelled him to do it, Ron gracefully pulled her hand out of her pocket and into his grasp, “and…and, you always bite your lip when you’re thinking really hard about something. You shift your weight when you get nervous. You scrunch your nose up when ever someone bores you. Uh, I bet I sound absurd right now, huh?” The words had been spilling out faster than he could control and his stomach was in knots. Ron was getting nervous but kept his grip on her hand.

Hermione stood shell shocked and cleared her throat, but her words were whispers as she tried to grasp what he was saying, “Ron, what’s going on?”

Ron took one last deep breath, “Hermione, I think I’m, I mean I might be, but I don’t want to ruin, but I think--”

“RON!” Hermione yelled, her voice shaking.

Ron stopped to look at her one more time and took the plunge, “Hermione, I think I’m in love with you.”

Silence blanketed over the two, and Ron got suddenly nervous, his stomach feeling like an endless pit. Speaking cautiously he dropped Hermione’s hand, “Unless of course you think that’s weird or whatever. Then I’ll stop. It’s really up to you. I mean, I could just be delusional or something. Ok, I’m gonna stop talking now.” He squint his eyes and bit his lip, preparing himself for violent shouting, possibly even physical aggression, and silently praying for her answer.

Hermione slowly lifted her fallen head, letting a smile creep across her face. She stared into his eyes, not saying anything but just smiling.

Hermione grabbed Ron’s fallen hand, squeezing it in reassurance, glowing with excitement, “Ronald Weasley. You want to know something about yourself? Well, you blush whenever someone compliments your Quidditch skills. You twiddle your thumbs when you get frustrated with homework. Your loyalty to Harry is like nothing I’ve ever seen. You complain about your family’s status but you love your life and everything that you have. Oh yeah, and Ron…I’m in love with you too.” Hermione was now inches from Ron’s face.

A smile broke onto Ron’s face and he sighed, letting the tension fall off his shoulders. He removed his other hand from his pocket, laying both of them on each side of Hermione’s hips. The wind started to howl, cradling the snow around them. Ron leaned in towards Hermione…

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

“….and then he kissed me.” Hermione sat dazed in her own account of the previous hour. She wanted to pinch herself to make sure it was all real.

“So you…and my brother?” Ginny Weasley asked, sitting opposite of Hermione.

“Oh Ginny I hope you don’t mind. I mean I wasn’t planning it and - ” Hermione sputtered.

“Hermione! Are you kidding? You two are made for each other. I couldn’t be happier. I don’t understand how you can see him as anything but a big git,” Ginny winked and nodded her head, “althoooough, I am going to miss my best friend while she’s off snogging in the trophy room!”

“GINNY!” Hermione gaped, growing bright red. Ginny couldn’t hold in the laughter as she rolled onto her back. Hermione hesitated for a second, looking at Ginny. “But, seriously Ginny I don’t want anything to change. We’re still best friends. All of us.”

“Hermione, I know that,” Ginny said, and gave a reassuring smile, “now let’s get some sleep.”

As they both crawled into their beds Ginny Weasley couldn’t help thinking about how everything was going to change.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

After letting Hermione go up to the common room first, it took awhile for Ron to get back to his dorm room. He had been too distracted with the replays of the night to pay attention to where he was going, going up the wrong moving staircase three times and trying the Gryffindor password at the wrong portrait.

By the time he slowly cracked his door open all the boys were in a deep sleep. Ron tip toed to his bed and started getting into his pajamas. Harry, awoken by him, rolled around in his bed and slowly brought himself up on his elbows.

“You tell her you love her?” Harry managed to croak out.

Ron smiled to himself, “Yeah, I told her. She said she loved me too.” Ron could hardly contain himself, blushing ten shades of crimson.

Harry managed a huge smile, “That’s great. So uh, did you kiss her?” Harry wondered, sitting in anticipation.

“Yeah…I did,” Ron sighed, falling back into his bed with thoughts of Hermione. Ron could hear Harry laugh in relief.

“So Ron, is she a good kisser?” Harry asked.

“That’s for me to know, and only me,” Ron barked, having that defensive boyfriend feeling kick him in the gut.

“Yeah,” Harry laughed again, “I’m happy for you guys. Just promise to name your first born after me.”

“What if it’s a girl, Harry?” Ron inquired.

“Harietta,” Harry replied matter-of-factly.

Ron laughed for a second, “Consider it done,” Ron hesitated for a second thinking of how Harry must be feeling, “hey Harry, this isn’t going to change anything. We’re all still best friends.”

“Yeah, Ron. I know,” Harry confirmed as he sat back into his pillow. He couldn’t help thinking about how everything was going to change.
So did he by mrsweasley
Chapter 3

The sun broke through the curtains in the boy’s dormitory the next morning, bringing unaccounted uncertainties along with it. Ron tossed and turned in his tangled sheets which caused them to act more as ropes than linens, anchoring him to his mattress. As he suffocated himself with his pillow to block out the light, the memories of the previous night came rushing back to him like a torrential downpour.

Wow. Hermione. Me. Us. Wow. Ron couldn’t believe it wasn’t a dream, and after a small pinch on his arm reassured him, be bounded from bed, getting ready for breakfast at a record breaking speed. All he wanted to do was see her again.

As he approached the top of the boy’s staircase in the Gryffindor common room he came to a halt, and looked down to see Hermione’s bushy brown hair from behind. He let a smile creep onto his face, feeling his heart doing double time. Below, Hermione turned abruptly, her hair swinging to catch up with her neck as she caught his glance. After a moment of processing she quickly returned a smile more radiant than his, if it was possible.

“Well, it sure took you long enough!” Hermione joked, crossing her arms and pretending to be upset. The sound of her shoes tapping the floorboards as she moved towards the stairs echoed in the vacant common room.

Ron didn’t reply, just began a quick jaunt down the stairs and stopped inches from her. He placed both hands on her waist and looked her square the face, “Hermione Granger, was last night really real? Because it was the best night of my life and if it was all a dream, I think it’d kill me.”

Hermione began blushing madly again, “No, Ronald Weasley. It wasn’t.” With that, Ron leaned in and kissed her again, leaving her breathless. The seconds passed slowly as they stood there in each other’s arms. Then worry began to invade, showing in Hermione’s eyes first.

“Ron, what will everyone think?” Hermione asked, darting his gaze, not wanting him to think her cowardly, “I mean, not like that will have any effect on what we do. I guess what I’m trying to say is that I don’t know what to tell people. Or how to tell them, for that matter. I mean do we hold hands? Can we kiss? Do we keep it secret? What do we do?”

Ron stopped to think for a second, the concept hadn’t had time to cross his mind yet. To tell the truth he wasn’t really sure what to do, “I’m not sure. I guess that’s what we have to learn about being together, is how to act with everyone else. I’m not ashamed though, Hermione. I, uh, I love you,” For Ron, it still seemed strange to be able to say that freely to her.

The cherry color began to show up again on both Hermione and Ron’s face. Hermione managed to get out an ‘I Love You Too’ before they left for the Great Hall, Ron’s arm around her waist, both ready to face all that would come.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Harry had heard Ron jumping around in bed but chose to ignore his constant bickering about needing to get to the Great Hall and how this would be the third time this week he’s slept through breakfast. Harry grumbled half heartedly, thinking about how Hermione was already having an impact on Ron. He wasn’t paying attention as he wavered between awake and the world of happy sleep. Half an hour later he awoke alarmingly becoming instantly energized, thinking of the sure lecture Professor McGonagall would give him about being in proper time for meals.

Harry sped down the stairs as he pushed his arm through his sleeve on his Hogwarts robe, balancing his book bag on his other shoulder. Not paying attention to his surroundings he suddenly collided with someone and flopped backwards onto his back, his books flying everywhere. He heard someone grunt beside him, a mess of red hair just with in his view.

He immediately knew who it was, “Ginny? Are you ok?” He was quickly answered with fits of uncontrollable laughter.

“Oh, yes Harry,” Then uncontrollable laughter. “I’m fine,” more laughing. “Are you ok?” By this time both Ginny and Harry were wiping tears from their eyes and catching their breath from laughing so hard. Harry scanned the scene around him. Both of their books where scattered in a twenty feet radius and they were facing each other, now sitting up, both with mile wide smiles. Harry felt as if he could hear the pounding noise his heart was making and could feel his palms sweat as he looked into Ginny’s comforting face. Without realizing it, he found himself imagining moving closer to her, wiping her hair from her cheeks and then leaning in toward her and “

“Harry, can I ask you a question?” Ginny pleaded as she started picking up her books. Harry was snapped back to reality so quick he blushed profusely at the thought of his short lived and unexpected daydream.

“Er…yeah, go ahead,” Harry sputtered as he began imitating Ginny and picking up his books.

“I realize that you know about Ron and Hermione. I was just up late last night thinking about, well, do you think it’s going be weird now? I mean, this really changes everything. I’m worried, to be honest. I like things the way they are, you know. Don’t get me wrong, Hermione and Ron should be together. I just…”

Harry interrupted her, “I know. I’ve thought about it too. I guess the only thing we can do is just go with the changes. I mean, there’s no holding Ron and Hermione back now.” Harry tried with all his might to sound utterly confident in his reply.

Ginny smiled, more comforted then she had been this morning. They agreed to walk to the Great Hall together and as they walked Ginny couldn’t help but sneak an extra glance at Harry, slightly reliving the emotions of her first year.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Ron and Hermione stood in front of the doors into the Great Hall, working up the courage to crack them open. The time passed slowly as each went over in their heads what people’s reactions would be.

Hermione turned to Ron, “Let’s go on in. There’s no point in avoiding it.” Ron met her smile, slightly wishing there was a way to avoid it all. He then proceeded to open the door for Hermione, while letting his hand slowly slip into hers. She snatched a quick glance at Ron, feeling more confident with him at her side.

The Great Hall was crowded as normal with the hustle of students grabbing breakfast before classes. As Hermione and Ron made their way down the aisle of the Gryffindor table, holding hands, the hall began to quiet till the silence was deafening. Every eye had now turned towards Gryffindor’s latest couple. Ron’s ears began to turn violently red but Hermione squeezed his hand in reassurance. Ron stood amazed at how she appeared to not be phased by the fact the entire school was watching their every move.

Ron spotted Dean and Seamus near the end of the table and made his way toward them, almost laughing at their shocked faces. Nearby, Neville’s jaw had practically dropped to the floor. Dean had stopped mid chew of his blueberry muffin and Seamus was completely oblivious to the fact his scrambled eggs has spilled all over him when his grip on his fork went spasmodic.

As soon as Ron and Hermione had both sat down the hall broke into a fret of whispers and “didyouseethat?” Hermione placed food on her magically appeared plate as if nothing odd was happening. “Hello Dean. Neville. Seamus,” Hermione mumbled, not even looking up when they didn’t respond. None of them had moved at all and were now looking from Ron to Hermione and back to Ron. Ron tried to avoid their gaze; he wasn’t sure how his friends would react to him and Hermione being together.

Dean finally managed to swallow his food and couldn’t contain himself, “That holding hands thing…was that”I mean, do you guys, well, are you guys….dating?” Every one within earshot was at the edge of their seat.

Hermione responded for Ron, considering he couldn’t find the right words, “Dean, honestly, is it that bad for us to be together? Don’t act so surprised. And for heaven’s sake, wipe that muffin off your face.”

Dean immediately moved to clean his face. Before anyone could enquire further a squeaky annoying voice came from behind them. Ron immediately recognized the conniving tone to be from Malfoy. He could also hear his two goons, Crabbe and Goyle, laughing behind him.

Malfoy began to raise his voice, even before Ron had a chance to turn around, “Well, look at what we’ve got here: a pauper and mudblood. Perfect match, if you ask me. Maybe you can comfort each other in your pathetic short comings.” Crabbe and Goyle began to laugh as if they were puppets on a string, encouraging Malfoy with pats on the back.

Ron stood from the table, fists clenched ready to punch Malfoy but before he had a chance Hermione laid her hand on his arm, “He’s not worth it Ron, you’ll get expelled. Don’t give him what he wants.”

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Meanwhile Harry and Ginny had finally made it to the doors of the Great Hall and stopped before them, just as Ron and Hermione had done earlier. The whispers were loud and clear coming from the hall. Harry and Ginny stole one more glance at each other.

Ginny was the first to break the silence, “And so it begins, Harry. The Love Story of Ron Weasley and Hermione Granger: Chapter One. We’re merely are blessed enough to witness it unfold,” Ginny winked at Harry and smiled.

Harry looked to her, smiling, “Here here, Miss Weasley.”

They entered the hall side by side and immediately saw Ron standing in front of Malfoy with a criminating look on his face, ready to throw a punch. Harry and Ginny immediately ran towards them to help.

The seven of them: Ron, Hermione, Harry, Ginny, Malfoy, Crabbe, and Goyle stood staring each other down. The tension was rising and you could see the hatred flaring in their eyes, on both sides.

Before anything could explode Professor McGonagall walked up to the group, “Surely, there’s nothing wrong here I trust. Mr. Weasley? Mr. Malfoy?” She raised her eye brows, as if to say she understands perfectly there is something wrong but she wasn’t going to let anything happen.

Grunts and mumbles answered her as they all quickly returned to their seats.

Once they had all found their spots and started into their meal Hermione turned to face Ron, “See there, the hardest parts over. I hope.” Hermione winked at him, squeezing his hand again underneath the table.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Despite the random degrading comments from Slytherins, Ron and Hermione’s relationship actually got an overwhelming public support base. People who Ron had never seen were stopping him in the halls to congratulate him about finally working things out with Hermione. He found himself in a confused state most of the day, and when classes had finally ended he collapsed into his favorite chair in the Gryffindor common room. He was relieved to find it empty. Right as his eyelids were about to give into tempting sleep, the portrait hole flung open with a loud bang, making him shoot out of his chair. He feel back when he saw that it was Hermione, looking provoked, like little bolts of lightening were going to escape from the tips of her hair.

Hermione charged over to Ron, throwing her bag of books mid-stride, “Girls are by far the most annoying nuisance known to the wizarding world!”

Ron muffled the energy to lift his head, “In case you hadn’t noticed Hermione, your a girl.” He smiled to himself, suddenly remembering how Hermione had yelled the same reminder to him years earlier.

Hermione eyed him carefully, “Thank you, Ron. I’m fully aware,” she turned to face him, “do you know I was just nearly mauled by a group of second year girls, with squeals so high only dog’s can hear them, demanding to know every detail about how we got together and drooling about how, and this is a direct quote, ‘utterly adorable’ we are together.” Hermione fused as she stepped closer to the fire to warm up.

Ron decided silence was the best method for calming Hermione down. He started to watch her standing by the fire, her face aglow by the flames. She was gorgeous. He casually slipped his hand into hers. It amazed him how much her touch energized him and he found himself standing up from the chair and leaning into kiss her when the portrait flew open. Harry, Dean, Seamus, and Ginny had all just flown into the common room and without hesitation, froze immediately. Ron and Hermione had long since jumped apart and started looking at the ceiling and floor, anything but their friends.

Dean spoke from the corner of his mouth in a strained whisper, emphasizing every word, “Stay still. Maybe they wont see us.” Soon everyone was laughing, mainly to cover the awkwardness.

Harry was amazed at how comfortable he was seeing his two best friends kiss. Well, almost kiss. He expected more odd feelings. He was also stunned at the feeling that he really wanted that too. Someone to hold…
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Staring up at her canopy that night Ginny thought about running into Ron and Hermione earlier. She had quickly realized that she didn’t have to worry about being left out to dry by Hermione, and that she’d always be there for her. The thought that was keeping her up, on this one snowy night, was about what her heart kept whispering.

Harry Potter. I think I’m in like with Harry Potter…again. Erg! Why him? Why can’t I like someone who doesn’t think of me as the eleven year old who horned at his every step? Or worse, as his best friend’s little sister! This is stupid, Ginny. You got over Harry! You’ve moved on! I’ve moved on. Really. I have.

She eventually fell asleep trying to convince herself against everything she was feeling.

So did he.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A?N: I know this isn't the most dramatic chapter yet, but I promise the next chapter is much better. 'specially for all you H/G shippers. i've been waiting to get to there forever! So, basically stay tuned is what i'm trying to say, and please please leave a quick review, doesn't have to be fancy, just thumbs up or down.
A paper dove by mrsweasley
A/N: ok, any thing that seems like it came from HBP is just coincidental, this story has been planned out, although not all written, before HBP. Just thought I'd make that clear now.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

“HARRY, STOP! JUST STOP! I CAN’T TAKE IT ANY LONGER!” Ginny screamed, tears daring to drop from her eyes as she pleaded with Harry.

Harry’s head was slumped towards the ground, his hands in his pockets and his mind racing with how to respond. His words were barely whispers as he managed to bring his eyes to hers, “Ginny, I don’t know what to tell you. I’ve fought with it for weeks now. I want to, more than you know. I just…I just can’t. Despite it all.” He started to turn, to walk away from her so that it wouldn’t be as hard but she beat him to it, dashing off to the Quidditch field and never looking back.

As he watched her fall out of sight he could barely contain himself from following her, wrapping her in his arms, making the tears stop, healing her heart.

But I can’t. I have to do this. For her.

A shiver down his spine brought him back to reality, and he looked up at the Forbidden Forest in the distance, noticing for the first time the signs of spring taking territory. The last thing he wanted to do was go back into the school, face his friends, and tell them that he wasn’t strong enough to make it work with Ginny. The lake looked comforting and he found himself sitting under his favorite tree by the shore.

Despite the numbing in his toes he couldn’t bring himself to move. Her face was all he could see, her near tears wallowing in her brown eyes. He let a heavy sigh fall from his lips. His mind trailed back to that night, the best night of his life, when he’s finally won her heart. The memory was one of his most treasured…

“That’s right, baby sister. I have beaten you again. Bow before your champion!” Ron gleamed as he shot both clenched fists into the air. Ginny just rolled her eyes and stood up, moving closer to the fire.

Hermione, who was working on Transfiguration homework in her favorite lounge chair, looked up peevishly, “Honestly, Ron. You win almost every game you play, yet you insist on doing that ludicrous dance.”

Ron froze as his hands were waving in the air and broke into an innocent smile, “Oh, come one ‘Mione. It’s why you love me.” He winked at her and continued his dance. Hermione laughed sarcastically.

“You’d think, as clever as I am, I wouldn’t have lived through these past two months,” Hermione proposed to Ginny, pointing at Ron with her quill. Ginny laughed out loud as Ron dropped his jaw, “HEY! I heard that!” he yelled, moving towards Hermione. Reaching her chair he stood over her, attempting to look intimidating, then, just as quickly, he kneeled to kiss her on the cheek. Ginny watched them quizzically. Their cute flirting and petty fights were often nauseating, but always sweet at the same time. Her thoughts were interrupted as Harry came through the portrait hole, looking out of breath.

“Hey Harry,” Ginny said smiling, “where were you? why are you out of breath?”

Harry looked up at her defensively, a devilish grin spreading across his face, “oh, you’ll see. Soon enough.” With that he left the three Gryffindors standing alone, more confused than before he’d arrived.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ginny pulled her robe closer around her. The bleachers around her were oozing with silence, loneliness and the despair that seemed to suffocate her.

Why is he doing this? Oh, I know why he’s doing this; I just wish he didn’t feel like he had to. She couldn’t help but smile when thinking of him. He was always protecting her; always making sure she was okay, always so selfless with her. She knew it wasn’t because he thought she couldn’t take care of herself, it was because he felt like it was the only thing he could do for her. She loved him for it.

She laughed to herself, remembering that night so many months ago…

Ginny yawned for what seemed the millionth time as she folded up her Potions homework. The library had been deserted by all the other student and Ginny left for the common room.

“Prickly trolls,” Ginny muttered to the portrait in a haze, dreaming of her soft pillow awaiting her. The portrait slowly creaked open, showing the common room empty except for Hermione standing alone in the middle, dressed in her nightgown, holding a piece of parchment.

“Hello Ginny, I’m supposed to give this to you,” her face was beaming now and she eagerly shoved the note into Ginny’s hand, “go quickly.”

Ginny looked to Hermione, utterly confused. Her curiosity was over whelming her sleepiness and she flipped the piece of paper over in her hands. Her eyes read each word with precision as her face mirrored the confusion she was feeling. With another reassuring glance to Hermione, Ginny turned and left the room, dropping the paper behind her. The note she had read slowly drifted to the floor, exposing its message.

It simply read, “Meet me by the lake.”


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ron and Hermione looked from the lake to the Quidditch pitch and back between the two.

“I’ll take Harry,” Hermione announced and took off without discussion towards the tree Harry was moping under.

Ron looked towards the Quidditch field, “Oooook, I guess that means I’ll take Ginny. Weasley to Weasley.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

The cold hit Ginny like a wall upon exiting the school. She pulled her cloak closer around her body and started walking towards the lake.

This is crazy. Why am I even here? I wonder if this is a trap. This better not be a trap. Oh great, way to walk right into it, Ginny. Real smart.

Something zipped right past her ear causing her jump to her side.

What the heck? What is that?

It was now flying all around her, speeding too fast for her to see what it was. She took a deep breath and tried to refocus on it, as she had often done with a snitch, watching it very carefully and it was almost as if it started to move in slow motion.

Is that a……

She grasped her hand around it, clutching it tightly. She opened her grip to find a slightly bent paper airplane. Her brow furrowed in confusion. It wasn’t exactly what she was expecting. It wasn’t just a normal airplane though, the paper seemed to glow, it was a bright white and it looked like something was stuffed inside. She slowly began to unfold the wings but as she did the plane shook madly. It was if something was trying to escape and it flew from her palms, exploding into a mirage of pearl white origami doves that quickly circled her, making her coat and brilliant red hair fly around in a mess. The paper doves flew into the night sky and out of view, except for one that fluttered steadily before Ginny. She held out her hand as a perch and it landed in her palm, tucking its head under its wing and collapsing into another note.

The words appeared one by one in deep crimson colored cursive…
So, you caught my messenger.
I’m not surprised.
There’s more for you to find out.
Keep going.


Ginny took a step forward. Then stopped. With a deep breath she started again. Then stopped.

Her mind was buzzing, This is crazy. Why can’t I go? Why do I just want to run back and pretend this never happened? She put her fingers to her temple, rubbing hard to clear her mind. I’m sacred of being disappointed. I don’t want to go because I’m afraid of it not being who I want it to be. I can’t let him hold me back anymore though. I have to go on. I have to find out. She walked on with new determination.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

A/N: Sorry to leave you hanging. Next chapter soon, but life is crazy with school starting and all. Please please review, and let me know if it's too confusing, cause i can change the format. Just thought i'd mix it up a little bit. Thanks!
I'll Wait by mrsweasley
Chapter 5

**Continued Flashback**

“Ron!” Ginny shouted in surprise, “what in the world are you doing here? Did you write those notes?” she questioned, desperately hoping he hadn’t.

Ron laughed out loud, holding his hands up in surrender, “No, Gin. I didn’t write them. I am, however, supposed to give you the next one,” he held out his hand, a small red envelope inside his grip, “go on Gin. Take it.” Ginny cautiously moved closer, her squinted eyes watching him carefully. She snatched the envelope from his hands and quickly stepped backward.

She started to run her finger along the edge of the envelope, processing everything that was going on, “Ron, is that you? I mean, you’re not like under the Imper--”

“What!” Ron threw his hands up in question, “no! Of course not, but I wouldn’t tell you I was under the Imperious Curse if I was, now would I?” Ron crossed his arms and stared at her like it was the most obvious thing in the world.

“Right,” Ginny said blushing, “just in case though…what happened at your ninth birthday party?”

“GINNY WEASLEY!” Ron yelled, growing increasingly red.

“Answer it Ron!” demanded Ginny.

Ron sighed heavily, “Fred and George stole my Cannon’s poster and made me do the chicken dance with my knickers over my head before they’d give it back. Happy?”

Ginny fought to suppress her laughter, “Very, thank you.”

Ron gave her a dirty smirk, “just open the bloody letter Gin.”

“Right,” she started to rip the back open, and then realizing her brother’s presence stopped to look him in the eyes, “would you mind?” She raised her eye brows to reinstate her point. Ron mumbled angrily as he stomped off towards the castle. As soon as she saw him disappear into Hogwarts she turned her attention back to the letter.

Surprised to see your brother?
Just wanted you to know he gives his blessing,
Should that hold you back. I don’t think it would.
I suppose I can’t keep putting it off though, can I?
Why I brought you here?
But I’m not quite ready to reveal my secret.
One more thing.


As soon as she had finished reading the last word a small pop came from the envelope and she looked into it see something long and thin inside. She pulled it from the envelope and held it before her; it was a small pearl white candle. The wick wasn’t lit though and Ginny looked back into the envelope for the missing clue.

She wondered as dhr turned the envelope over. What? This doesn’t make any sense.

Looking back at the letter she saw that new words had appeared after the original note.

Hold it tightly and it’ll search your soul for who you want this to be.
If it’s who you wish, your candle, and your path, will be lit. If it’s not, then you’re free to leave.


Nervousness eating away at her insides Ginny gripped the candle and held it close to her heart.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Hermione cautiously approached Harry, who was leaning against a tree with his eyes closed and his arm resting on his bent knee.

Crossing her fingers behind her back she walked up to him, cleared her voice and spoke up, “Hello Harry.”

He opened his eyes and looked at her, a weak smile appearing, then closed them again, “Hey Hermione.”

Hermione took this as a sign that it was ok to stay so she sat down next to him and turned her attention to the lake before her, “She’s stronger than you know. She’ll be ok.” She was trying desperately to comfort him. To her surprise he let out a small laugh.

“The thing is, Hermione, I know she’ll be ok. I wonder though, if…,” Harry’s voice trailed away as he lost himself in a memory. Snapping back he glanced at Hermione, “I wonder if I’ll be ok.”

Hermione smiled sympathetically at him, laying her hand on his shoulder. This was worse than she had thought. She could tell he was reliving certain precious memories of Ginny in his mind’s eye. He seemed eager to say them aloud, like talking about them would make him never forget. So Hermione let him talk.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Ginny was lost in her thoughts as she gazed at the empty Quidditch pitch. She was fumbling with a strand of her hair when she saw someone walking into the stands. Her heart jumped for a second, thinking it was Harry, but she was quickly disappointed once she recognized the Weasley red hair. She frantically wiped away her tears and took a deep breath, trying to hide the fact that she’d been crying for the past hour. She heard Ron trample down the benches towards her.

“Hey Ron,” she beat him to it. Caught off guard he seemed startled for a second then took a seat next to Ginny.

“Hey Gin’” he answered, not sure exactly what he was supposed to be saying.

Ginny, figuring he was completely clueless as usual, took charge, “Ron, I know what your going to say. ‘He’s just trying to protect me’, right?” She rolled her eyes as she looked out to the threatening storm clouds.

“Is that really so bad Gin’? He’s not the only one who wants you safe, you know,” Ron mumbled, staring intently at the hem of his cloak. Ginny turned to him and gave him a side hug.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
**Flashback**

Ginny closed her eyes as she brought the candle nearer to her heart. Instantly something was rushing through her body, it was cold and seemed to be whirling all inside of her. After a few seconds of this sensation she began to feel something warmer against her chest. Looking down she saw that the candle in her hand had been lit. It shined dazzlingly in the blackness that blanketed the night sky. She smiled as she gazed into the small flame. Then suddenly she noticed another light coming from a few feet in front of her, flickering in the midst. Then another across from it and then the flames began zigzagging as they appeared, creating a lit path. Ginny’s ruby hair seemed to dance in the radiance and her eyes imprisoned a rambunctious spirit. The eagerness bottled inside of her seeped out through her expression. She was elated.

She glided forward to the path, gracefully striding along the shore as the ominous water mirrored the light of the fires. The walkway seemed to wind endlessly as she awaited the end, more so, who was at the end.

Ginny grew energized as she saw that up ahead the path seemed to finish, but she couldn’t make out if anyone was waiting there. As she approached the edge she was clouded with confusion. The path went straight into the lake. It seemly disappeared at the spot and ceased to proceed. She scanned the area around her, searching for another note or a different path or anything that could explain what was going on. Then she heard it. It was a noise, a song, coming from the water. She recognized it instantly. A small beacon of light seemed to be coming from the center of the lake and Ginny squinted into the night to see what it was. As she stared off into the glassy water’s surface the path decided to continue. The same candles lit her way, but this time directly into the water. The candles were standing on the surface perfectly still and illuminated the lake. Amidst the candles a figure was standing on the water. Ginny’s heart started beating uncontrollably. The silhouetted person was standing tall and handsomely as he started walking towards her. It was Harry.


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“You know, Ron, I was remembering the night he asked me to be his girlfriend,” Ginny suddenly stated as she stared out into the sky, “it was really amazing.”

“Yeah, uh huh,” Ron murmured uncomfortably, not particularly wanting to know every detail of how his best friend managed to swoon his little sister. Especially if it was anything like the night he had told Hermione he loved her. The silence allowed for him to look back on that night in the courtyard. He smiled thinking of Hermione, which quickly disappeared when he realized that Harry must feel the same about Ginny. It was a terrifying thought.

“He was beaming, you know? I think I was too. Gosh, I became so excited when I saw him walking towards me on the lake,” Ginny reminisced as she sighed heavily.

Ron laughed a little, “You know I remember him searching in every book in the library looking for a spell that could turn water hard so you could walk on it. He never would tell me what he was looking for though, till that night. He couldn’t get the spell to work so he had to get Hermione to come down and figure it out, which of course meant she found out every detail of what he was planning. Came running to me all flush in the cheeks and acting all girly, Hermione did,” he smiled when he heard Ginny snicker to his side.

“You guys really didn’t know anything about it before?” Ginny asked.

“Not a clue. I think Hermione was catching on though, like always. Once the beans spilled though, he begged us to help him finish everything. I’ve never seen him that nervous, even before the Tournament fourth year,” Ron confessed.

Ginny was smiling brightly now, her cheeks blushing slightly, “He was so proud that he had managed to convince the mermaids to sing for us but wouldn’t let on of course.”


* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“She was mesmerizing, Hermione. So gorgeous; I couldn’t take my eyes off her,” Harry confessed as he sat up against the tree.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

“Then he walked up to me. All nervous, twiddling his thumbs like mad,” Ginny continued.

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“I couldn’t keep them still. Then I just let it all out…”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Nothing fancy or overdone. Just perfect, you know Ron? It was romantic because it was real. I couldn’t believe that it was happening.”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Then, before she could even say anything back, I walked up to her and we….”

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
“Snogged?” Ron asked point blank. Ginny smiled in response, bowing her head and letting her hair fall, looking back up when Ron continued, “so, what now? What are you going to do, Ginny?”

Ginny looked up to her brother and shrugged her shoulders.

There seemed to be only one answer. I’ll wait.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=26185