Escape by annie
Summary: But something happened that day...something that I, as a young and innocent 11-year old, could not place at that moment, but now can. That was the day I fell in love. (D/G songfic to Hoobastank - Escape)
Categories: Draco/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: Suicide
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1891 Read: 1685 Published: 11/16/04 Updated: 11/16/04

1. Escape by annie

Escape by annie
A/N - Well...I felt it was time to try this songfic deal out, and as I began to list the songs I could write one to, I noticed that Hoobey came up a lot...so naturally, I chose Escape, because it's one of my favorite songs of theirs. Anyway...this is a one shot fic...it might not be much good...but try to make your way through it and review ^-^

I will always remember the day. He was from a family which lived their life completely different than mine did. Yes, we were both pureblood families. We were both highly skilled in magic, both important families of our time. Yet although we were so similar, we were still so different. I could probably have related to my muggle friends better than his kind. They were dark wizards...his father was one of the Dark Lord himself's death eaters. My father and brothers devoted their lives to hunting him and locking them up.

Having heard this multiple times growing up, I came to hate this young man whom I had never laid eyes on. When I entered my first year in Hogwarts, I saw him as I was walking up to the Sorting Hat to be placed in my appropriate house. He sat at the Slytherin table, lounging casually in his chair and surveying the first years lazily. At that moment, as I stepped up onto the platform, we made eye contact. I felt my whole body turn numb, and my legs freeze. I couldn't move, all I could do was stare into his icy grey eyes. Eternity seemed to settle between us as I continued to hold his cold gaze. I heard McGonagall call my name sharply, and tell me to move forward. I blinked, and turned away. But something happened that day...something that I, as a young and innocent 11-year old, could not place at that moment, but now can. That was the day I fell in love.

I hated him though. It was not possible to love him. As I continued to study hard at Hogwarts, my hate for him intensified. He never stopped torturing me with his insults and pranks...and I never stopped on my part either. We tormented each other relentlessly...how could we not? We barely knew who each other were, but had been taught to hate each other. We were only young children. We did not know better.

And so it continued like this. Years flew by...1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th...and then 6th. That was the year that changed my life. The moment I entered Hogwarts on the first day of the school year, I felt something was different. I knew that this year something special would happen. And I was right.

Day by day, the part of me that loved him grew. It grew so much that it started to overwhelm the other part of me, the part that had once ruled over every other part of me, the part that hated him for all he was worth. I tried to shake it off; it frightened me that I might be thinking about him in any way other than miserably. I failed. You cannot shake off love...it will plant itself inside you, and grow until it is a part of you. So I was forced to submit to it.

I continued to look forward to seeing him everyday - but it was for a different reason. I used to look forward to our confrontations, as it gave me the chance to let my insults fly, but now I began wishing I could tell him how I felt. It seemed he was changing too. He no longer called me an insult to the purebloods. He began to compliment me...sure, he usually covered it up with sarcasm. But I couldn't help but sense the hint of honesty beneath his words.

I still remember the day it happened, as if the image is still implanted in my mind. November 13th, 6:00 PM. It was cold, rainy, and miserable that day, and I had just lost a quidditch game against Ravenclaw for my house. My team refused to talk to me in the changing rooms, so I left early, on the verge of tears. As I opened the door, I ran into something, or someone. He stood right outside of the door, like he had been expecting me to open it at that very moment.

Without even thinking, I burst into sobs. He looked at me with a look of surprise on his face, not even bothering to mask it with his usual expression of dislike.

"What's wrong?" he asked me.

I said nothing; I simply continued to cry. Then, to my shock, he leaned over and wrapped his arms around me, letting me cry into his rain-soaked robes. We stood there for 5 very long minutes. Words were not needed - we knew how one another felt, and we know what we had been holding back since the day we met. It was from that day on that me and him began to live a life of secrets and forbidden love.

The years that followed were marked by Voldemort's rise to power. He slowly gained his body and powers back, and reformed a group of death eaters - more powerful and evil than ever before. Every good soul in the wizarding world was forced to unite as one against the force that was threatening to overshadow their lives.

It became even harder for him and I to stay together. His father was on one side, mine was on another. The two of them fought head on daily, each trying to protect their own beliefs and family. They hated one another, and they expected their children to do so as well. If they had known about the love him and I had for each other, there was no doubt our lives would have been endangered greatly.

Another day goes without any change
The feeling we live with still remains


Everyday was the same - I would wake up to thoughts of him, yet still be miles apart physically. I would tell my parents that I was going to Diagon Alley to do a bit of shopping, or to London to walk around a bit. They would worry themselves sick, but eventually allow me to go. Then I would meet up with him, wherever we could see each other in secret, and we would spend the rest of the day together.

We're stuck in a hole and we're searching for anything to hold onto

I grew to be so in love with him I could no longer bear it. I felt as if Fate had done this to me on purpose - force me to love someone, then not allow me to be with them. The war between good and evil threatened to tear us apart, but somehow our bond was too strong to be broken. Although we felt helpless, and saw our future together as a blank wall, we still held onto the hopes and dreams we had built up as young adults back in Hogwarts.

There has to be somewhere that we can be safe from the lives we live each day
There has to be somewhere that we can be far away...


We began to dream of a place where life was fair and kind. Something like Oz, a land I had read about in a muggle book while I was a little girl. This place was beautiful, it had fields as green as the purest emerald, and skies bluer than the deepest ocean. Most importantly, it was a place we could be together and not have to worry about the nightmare that surrounded us. It was a place we had built up between us...a place that did not exist anywhere but in our minds.

We have to escape and I will go anywhere if you just lead the way
Escape to a place where we'll be together, together everyday


I am now 29 years old. 18 years have passed by since I first lay eyes on him, 18 years full of anger, tears, hate, and a fragile love. I lay beside him as I write this. Smiling, I look upon his face. The years have worn down the beautiful but cold marble face I saw as a young girl. They have left worry lines running across his forehead, but he is still as amazing as ever.

Suddenly, I look up, alerted by the sound of faint footsteps approaching. Someone is coming - someone unwelcome.

"Wake up, love," I whisper anxiously, brushing his hair off his face. He sits up and looks around wildly. I put a finger up to his lips, signaling for him to not make a noise. His mouth tightens with fear and anger as he also hears the footsteps.

"They're coming for us," he murmurs in my ear. "They have found out. We have no hope of escaping now...stay beside me, we will face this together."

Then, with a sudden explosion of noise that resonates in the night, the door to our room is blasted apart and in stream a group of death eaters. Their wild cackles mock me as they close in around him and I. Out from the ring of dark figures steps a tall, skeletal figure, wearing a blood-red cloak.

"You have chosen to go in the wrong direction," he says in a low voice.

With a flick of his wand, I see his lips form two words - the two words that illustrate the place we have dreamed of for so long.

"Avada Kedavra."

A flash of bright green light shoots out from the end of his wand and towards the one I have loved for 18 years. Strangely enough, I see it moving forward in slow motion....as I watch it creep towards him, I see everything we were, are, and forever will be played in my mind. It's as if I am watching a movie, made by a third person, of my life.

"I will love you until the day forever ends, Draco Malfoy," I whisper into his ear. The words are barely audible, for my tears and pain are too overwhelming. I had lived my life as nothing; I existed only for those moments between him and I. Now, in this last image to be added to the movie of my life, as we stand surrounded by enemies, I once again am one with him in the moment that will end our lives, yet begin them at the same time.

"And I will love you even longer, Ginny Weasley."

I manage a smile and, in the split second before the spell hits him, I see him smile back - a smile full of longing, hurt, and misery, but a smile that lit up every positive memory I had left in my lifeless heart and gave me my purpose for living the mortal life. I grab his hand, raise my wand, and point it towards my heart.

Taking a deep breath, I murmur the two words that will seal our fate forever...

"Avada Kedavra."

We have to escape....
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2637