Love Letters by hp_princess
Summary: Due to a a little mishap in their 5th year, Lily and James are not speaking. However, they are forced to interact due to a Divination project that requires randomly assigned students to write letters to their anonomous "inner buddy." The year brings laughs, friendship and maybe even a newfound love.
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 7 Completed: No Word count: 10521 Read: 19780 Published: 07/13/05 Updated: 05/16/06

1. Home At Last by hp_princess

2. The Not So Perfect Letter by hp_princess

3. Leading The Circus by hp_princess

4. Undergoing A Serious Change by hp_princess

5. Bullying Toerag With No Heart by hp_princess

6. If Only She Could See by hp_princess

7. Chapter 7: Done With the Male Race by hp_princess

Home At Last by hp_princess
Author's Notes:
The begining. I am making a few changes. I changed Irene's name to Emily and am rearranging my characters for a better plot. Hope you like it! Please review!
Disclaimer: I do not, repeat do not own any of this. Well, Julia, Irene, Professor Orion, and a few others, but that’s it! J.K. Rowling is a wonderful author and I hope to someday write just like her.





Without further ado I give you Love Letters, Chapter One: Home At Last…





_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





Lily Evans gazed over the hall, her emerald green eyes taking in the smiling faces, steaming platters of food, and happy students. She smiled and brushed a lock of her auburn hair out of her face. It’s good to be back, she thought. Turning her eyes to the Gryffindor table, she looked at her friends and peers. She sighed. Only two more years, she thought, two more years. Plus next year we’ll have N.E.W.T. classes. What a nightmare those are going to be. Looking further down the table, she spotted the famous Marauders: James Potter, Sirius Black, Remus Lupin, and Peter Pettigrew. Her beautiful smiling face turned to a scowl as soon as she looked at Potter. How could he? How could he do that to me?





“Lily!”





A voice disrupted Lily from her thoughts, and she turned to face Julia Demartini, one of her best friends.





“Yeah, Jules?” Lily asked, using her favorite nickname for Julia.





“Were you even listening to me?” Julia asked, while she pulled her dark brown hair out of her face. Lily laughed just laughed.





“No, she wasn’t, ” stated Emily Moss, “As usual.” As she laughed along with Lily, her blonde hair shook. Emily completed the trio.





“Emily’s right. I wasn’t, but that’s ok. You talk so much I thought you would just repeat it again later.” At this comment both Lily and Emily started cracking up.





“Oh, come on guys. I don’t talk that much,” Julia said as she elbowed Lily in the ribs. “Do I really talk a lot?”





“Julia, you are too much!” Irene exclaimed. With this the three girls started laughing again and turned to finish their dinner.





_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _








The girls entered the Gryffindor common room later that evening in high spirits. Talking excitedly about being back, they climbed the stairs up to the girls’ dormitories.





“Lily, this year I am making you try out for the Gryffindor Quidditch team,” Julia stated as the girls entered their dorm.





“I won’t,” Lily said, moving over to her bed.





“Awe come on, Lily! This summer you made every shot when we played at my house.”





“And you were really good at blocking them too. You would make a good keeper!” Emily exclaimed.





The three girls had spent part of the summer at Julia’s house in Surrey. They had spent much of the time out on Julia’s small Quidditch pitch. Julia was one of the Gryffindor Chasers and had her parents set up a mini Quidditch pitch when she made the team. It even supported their house team, with the red and gold colors.





“ So what? That was just for fun. And I don’t want to be on a team with Potter.” Lily was looking serious now.





“Oh yeah, I forgot about him,” Julia said, making a face. Every time Lily mentioned Potter nowadays she made a face, and it usually wasn’t a nice one.





“What happened between you two? I thought you guys were becoming friends,” said Nadia Perez. She was one of the girls’ other roommates. She had long dark hair and big brown eyes. Her family had moved from Argentina to the United States when she was eleven. There she went to the Krynnkey Academy of Magic and transferred to Hogwarts in her fourth year.





“I don’t want to talk about it,” Lily said. I don’t even want to think about it, she thought.





“Please? I would like to know what happened. No one ever told me.”





“Just drop it. She said she doesn’t want to talk about it,” Julia said her eyes flashing. She was very protective of her friends’ feelings.





“Come on, I want to know.” Nadia was very pushy, and she and Julia had never really gotten along. They had always just been total opposites; plus it didn’t help that Nadia was in love with Sirius, Julia’s sworn enemy.





Lily was now sitting on her bed, fiddling with her necklace. Her green eyes were cold and staring off into space, as if she was remembering something terrible.





Emily walked over to Nadia and said, “Well, we don’t like to talk about it. If you are so curious go ask someone else.” She was glaring at Nadia as she spoke again, “As you can tell, Lily doesn’t like to talk or even think about either, so please don’t bring it up again.”





“Come on,” Nadia yelled, “What is your problem? It is a question!”





“It isn’t our fault you were on vacation in Argentina when it happened,” Julia huffed.





“Oh my god. I ask a simple question and you all get so huffy about it.”





“Well it’s your fault you stick your big nose where it doesn’t belong,” Emily said, defending Julia, even though she usually didn’t like to get into her friends' fights.





“Wow, someone actually has a dark side. Are you going to bite me? Oh and Lily,” Nadia said turning to Lily, “ Whatever it was, why don’t you just get over it? No one really cares anyway.” With that Nadia stomped out, clomping down the staircase.





As soon as she left, both girls turned to Lily who had crawled onto her bed.





“Lily, don’t listen to her. She is a bitch,” Julia said.





"Thanks." Lily smiled, even though she had silent tears streaming down her cheeks. "She is kind of right though. I should get over it." Emily moved closer to Lily and put her arm around her.





“It’s ok to cry." She looked at Lily her brown eyes filled with sympathy.





“Thanks. I’m being silly. It wasn’t that big of a deal anyway."





"Wasn't a big deal? Lily, he totally humiliated you in front of everyone," Julia said as she slid next to Lily.





"I know, but I should get over it anyway."





“Lily, it’s ok if you don’t. It was a big deal.” Emily said, patting Lily’s back.





“You guys are the best.”





“This is what friends are for,” said Emily while she gave Lily a hug.





“Of course we are the best, what do you expect?” Julia asked, making Lily smile. “And on top of that, we’re back!”





With this in mind, the three girls drifted off to sleep. Home at last.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





Author’s Note: Hey guys what did you think? This is my first fan fiction ever, so bear with me! The storyline is based on the book Love Letters; Perfect Strangers by Jahnna N. Malcolm. So if you see something familiar to that story, it is! This was a short chapter, but the next ones are longer I promise! Please review!





Megan


The Not So Perfect Letter by hp_princess
Author's Notes:
In which the girls recieve a new assignment.
“Lily! Have you seen my brush? Or my shoes?” Julia hollered, as she scrambled around the dormitory looking for her stuff. They were getting ready for breakfast, but Julia was having a little trouble finding her stuff, as usual.



“Are you kidding me? We have been here one night and you’ve already misplaced your stuff?” Lily laughed.



Nadia, still heated from last night’s argument, shook her head and headed down to the Great Hall for breakfast. Lily shook her own head as she watched Nadia leave. Sure, Nadia had made her cry, but it was a new day and time to start fresh.



Sighing she looked under her bed, helping Julia look for her stuff.



“Why don’t you guys just use Accio to retrieve it?” asked Emily while getting dressed.



“Oh yeah, why didn’t I think of that?” Julia asked, joking around.



“Because you aren’t like us, we are just way to ahead of you,” said Lily trying not to laugh. This was one of their on-going jokes. Emily and Lily were always referring to how they were smarter and one step ahead of Julia.



“Shut up guys, that is so old!” Julia laughed and threw a pillow at Emily.



“And you still find it hilarious!” Emily exclaimed as she threw the pillow back at Julia.



“Ok guys, come on, or we will be late,” Lily said looking amused.



“That’s our Lily, always thinking ahead.” Julia laughed again then said, “But yeah let’s go.” The three friends linked arms and walked out of their dorm ready to take on the world.



_ _ _ _ _ _ _





They entered the Great Hall and the normal, nonstop, happy chatter met their ears. Making their way to the Gryffindor table, they passed a few disgruntled first years.



“Did we look like that on our first day?” Julia asked, watching the first years walk in tight little groups.



“I don’t remember, but probably,”Emily said as they reached their normal spot at the Gryffindor table.



After they were seated and had filled their stomachs with the plentiful amounts of food, Professor McGonagall came over and handed them their class schedules.



After Emily had glanced at the schedule she smiled, “Well we have a pretty good day. All we have is Divination first period, and then the rest is all good.”



“Why don’t you guys like Divination? I love it!” Julia stated. And it was true; she had loved Divination ever since she had foretold her cat was going to have kittens.



“I am glad you are happy, but I for one do not like Divination. I also have Arithmacy this afternoon,” Lily said as she took a sip of her pumpkin juice.



“Don’t be such a spoil sport, Lily. It will be fun this year, I swear.” Julia’s face lit up with a thought, “How about this? I’ll make you a bet. If Divination sucks this year, I owe you 10 galleons. But if it doesn’t, you owe me 10 galleons. Ok?”



“Deal!” Lily and Julia shook hands.



“I know that Divination doesn’t start for another hour, but lets go and get the good squishy arm chairs,” Lily said.



With that in mind the three made there way up to the North Tower, for the ever so annoying Divination class.



_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _







As the girls left the Great Hall, one pair of hazel eyes followed them. James Potter ran a hand through his very untidy black hair as his gaze stared after the threesome.



“So James, we still have to set up our ever so famous first prank of the year,” Sirius Black chuckled. “What shall it be? Something for good old Snivellus again?”



Sirius turned and faced his friend. He was dressed in his signature color and his black hair was framing his face nicely. When he noticed James wasn’t paying the least bit of attention to him, and instead watching Lily Evans, he waved a hand in front of his face.



“What?” James asked Sirius as he looked at him.



“Tell me you weren’t just watching Lily?” Sirius looked serious, for once.



James blushed, “No, I was just thinking.”



“About what?” Inquired Remus Lupin his blue-grey eyes twinkling.



“Nothing, forget about it.”



“I know what James is thinking about!” Said Peter Pettigrew the final addition to the Marauders. “ He was thinking about Lily!”



“No,” Sirius said sarcastically, “You think?” Turning back to James he said “Come on Prongs, get over it man. She won’t even think about it now. Come lets plan our prank.”



“Ok, sure.” James took one last glance at the Entrance Hall, then turned and helped create the Marauders newest prank.



_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





An hour later, after all the sixth year Gryffindors had made it to the Divination classroom, class started. It was held in the North Tower. The room was circular and but instead of regular chairs at the desks, there were little puffy chairs. Their professor, Professor Orion, was very cool. He allowed them to talk and work together, often allowing them to do their homework in class.



“Welcome back to another year of Divination. This year I will be working you especially hard, helping you prepare for N.E.W.T.s.” He welcomed the class with open arms and motioned for them to get comfortable.



“Usually I would start the year off by making my students read tea leaves, just to make sure they still now what to do. I instead had a different thought that came to me late last night. Because this year you are preparing for the N.E.W.T. classes that will be coming up, I thought that this year we would focus on not only the normal Divination studies but also clearing our minds and focusing on our thoughts.” He paused to pick up a red journal.



“We will be doing this by writing letters to our anonymous inner buddy. You share you innermost thoughts, feelings, and fears. You will tell them about yourself, but not enough to reveal whom you are. This will allow you to open your mind and let you focus. Yes Miss Evans?”



Professor Orion turned his attention to Lily who had her hand raised.



“Professor I was wondering how we will write to this anonymous person. Since we don’t know who they are, or what their name is we can’t exactly write letters to them.”



“Good question Miss Evans. Anybody have any ideas?”



“Will we be writing to someone with a fake name?” asked Jennifer Pelkan one of the other sixth year girls.



“You may use a nickname or fake name if you choose, but not quite. See this red journal here?” He held up the journal higher. “I had Professor Flitwick charm theses so that when you write a letter in these, it will show up in your buddies journal. And vise versa. I already made it so two journals will be corresponding. When your buddy has written you a letter, the journal will glow ever so slightly. The letters will stay in your journals and your buddies. Also, your buddies won’t just be sixth year Gryffindors. Every sixth year student who takes this class will have a buddy. So will Miss Evans, Miss Demartini, Miss McKinney, Miss Pelkan, come and choose a journal please.”



He pointed to the large stack on her desk. Lily took a green one, Julia a purple, and Emily a light pink.



As she sat down Lily thought this might be a good year in Divination after all, even if I am writing to a complete stranger. I mean come on at least we aren’t reading tealeaves. But I can’t let Julia notice I might like this assignment or I’ll lose 10 galleons.



Once everyone had chosen a journal, Professor Orion assigned them their homework.



“Please write your first letter tonight. I will check tomorrow in class if you have done it. You may use the rest of the class time, which is 15 minutes, to start now if you wish.”



Lily carefully opened up the journal to the first page and took out a quill. She sat in thought for almost all of the 15 minutes until Sirius spoke out to the class.



“Professor Orion, this is a pretty cool assignment, when do we get to meet our ‘inner buddies’?” Sirius asked.



“You aren’t supposed to meet them, Mr. Black, only write to them. If they knew who you really are would you want to share your inner most thoughts?”



”Probably not. But that is too bad, I wrote a pretty cool letter.” He leaned back in his chair.



Lily nearly choked. Sirius Black, the guy most likely to never turn in his homework, had already finished the assignment and she hadn’t even started hers.



Determined to get started Lily turned back to her journal and wrote:



Dear Inner Buddy,

I am not too excited about writing to someone I don’t know and sharing my inner most thoughts, and feelings, but this is being graded. It might be fun, we will just have to wait and see. The other thing is everyone expects me to write this letter with a huge smile because that’s what I always do. People look up to me as the teachers pet. A big part of me would just like to skip classes, sneak into Hogsmeade, eat tons of ice cream and candy, and party all night. But that isn’t in anyway possible because I would never do anything to break the rules. Plus if I did anything out of the ordinary people would think I’d have gone completely crazy. Everyone expects me to be the best student and overachiever I am. But sometimes I really couldn’t care less about my grades. So, how strange is that? Ok, I shared my innermost thoughts with a complete stranger. Your turn.



Wisher




Satisfied with her not so perfect letter, Lily closed her journal and went to join Julia and Emily on their way to the next class.





Leading The Circus by hp_princess
Author's Notes:
A letter from the mysterious new "inner buddy" and some interaction with the Marauders.
Chapter 3



The next few days went quickly for Lily and her friends. They got back on track with schoolwork, and adjusted to being back at Hogwarts. They were happy to be back; you could tell.



Lily was on top of things as usual and had all her work up to date and done. Julia started going to Quidditch practices, handling both that and her schoolwork. Emily was, as always, ahead of the pack, working on homework that wouldn’t be due for days. They only had one other little feud with Nadia, over how annoying Sirius was. And the marauders were actually being reasonably civilized.



The three of them could be caught in the common room curled up in their favorite armchairs either working on homework or just chatting away into the night. As everyone said, it was great to be back.



But Lily was worried. It had been almost week, and her inner buddy hadn’t written her back. Had she gotten a Slytherin for her buddy? Were they just going to ignore her?



She got her answer on the third Monday since her return. Lily, Julia, and Emily had been sitting at their usual table in the Gryffindor common room, with their homework spread out among them.



“When did McGonagall say this transfiguration essay was due?” asked Julia as she paused in her writing.



“I think she said next class, but I’m not sure,” Lily answered absentmindedly. She was trying to concentrate on her Potions homework, but the marauders were causing such a ruckus she was having trouble.



She leaned over to check on Julia, but before she could Julia stood up and yelled, “Black, won’t you please shut up! Some of us are actually trying to do our work!”



“Well I am so sorry, Ms. Demartini, but some of us are actually trying to have some fun!” At this many of the people in the room laughed. He was standing with a pile of books on his head and trying to walk around with his eyes closed while juggling still more books in his hands.



“Well maybe if you worried about something other than people having fun you would actually be able to take your extremely inflated head out of your ass.” At this remark Sirius made a big show of bumping into Remus and spilling books all over the floor. Even more people laughed this time.



“Oh, so my head is the inflated one,” he said, looking at her, not bothering to pick up the books. “I’m so sorry, Mademoiselle Big Head that we interrupted your study time. These three here will just have to work at being more serious, seeing as how I already have that down.”



Julia groaned. “Oh, come off it,” she exclaimed, striding over to them. “You’ve used that serious Sirius joke way to many times for it to be funny.”



“How would you know? You’re never with me, although I know you want to be.” He put his arm around her and smiled mischievously.



She pushed his arm away, but grinned and said, “Ha, in your dreams, Black. I’d rather date your mate Peter there.” Peter blushed, while Sirius tried to look hurt.



Lily, who was watching this scene unfold from the other side of the room, figured she had had enough. Picking her way across the room she found herself next to James Potter, whom she made a great deal of trying not to look at.



“How about this,” she proposed, “The next time Sirius makes a serious joke, Julia gets to hex him. And Sirius,” she said, turning to him, “the next time Julia rejects you, you get to kiss her. Got it? Good.” Sirius once again grinned mischievously, while Julia looked at Lily, aghast.



Lily knew Julia had something for Sirius, or why else would she put up with him and his jokes all the time? Lily wasn’t the best matchmaker, but she knew how to get plans in action. She looked Julia square in her blue eyes and smiled.



Julia simply said, “Sirius Black, if you come within a foot of me I swear I will hex you into the next century. Ok? I’m serious.”



“No you’re not! I am!” he said.



Julia smiled at Lily. “I knew he’d say that.” She turned towards him, wand raised, and said, “You asked for it. Rictusempra!”



Sirius started laughing uncontrollably as the tickling charm took him over. Lily took this chance to steal a glimpse at Potter, and quickly glanced away. She had been startled to see that he was also looking at her. As she glanced away, he too returned his eyes to his notebook. So she instead focused her eyes on Remus and said, “I’m going to do my homework. Please try to keep them under control.”



Remus just laughed. “Keep Sirius under control?”



With that, Julia and Lily left the Marauders and returned to their own table, to find Emily asleep over her Transfiguration book.



“How can she sleep with us yelling? Sirius is so loud and such an ass. I can’t see how anyone can put up with him,” Julia exclaimed, waving her hands frantically.



“I don’t know. Let’s not wake her, she’s tired. About Sirius, you know you have fun torturing him, and I know you love it when he sweet talks you,” Lily said.



“Ha, are you crazy? Like I said, I’d rather date Peter.” At the look on Lily’s face she laughed again, “Ok, maybe not him. But definitely Potter over Black.”



“You are completely whacko. Anyway, enough about those stupid boys, let’s finish our homework.”



Lily returned her eyes to her Transfiguration essay but her attention was quickly sidetracked. Her inner buddy journal had just started to glow ever so slightly. Picking it up she thought, Finally! What took them so long to reply?



Opening it up she saw her previous letter, so she quickly flipped to the next page. Settling into her armchair, she excitedly read:



Dear Wisher,

I forgot to write the original letter; I guess that tells a lot about me right there. A slacker, right? School is full of labels like that, but I guess they fit. I do go to parties and all. But you’re really not missing anything. There’s loneliness like no other when you’re surrounded by people, not connecting with any of them. I sometimes wish I had someone to talk to. I guess now there’s you, but that’s weird enough in itself, writing to someone, not knowing who it is. Maybe I hate you in real life, it’s eerie. My inner thoughts: Outside I am a jokester always ready to make you laugh, on the inside I’m a super serious guy. My wish, to fix that reputation.

Just call me,

Jep



Lily sat up. This guy sounded interesting. He was serious but funny. Looking up, Lily noticed that Julia had too gone back to her homework. She looked back at her journal. Maybe this assignment was a good idea after all. This guy seemed into it, and if they both told each other how they felt about their lives, and school, they would both receive a passing grade. She sighed and said, “Well, I am going to bed. I can finish McGonagall's essay later. You going to come?”



“Yep. I am so tired. Let’s wake up Emily so she can actually sleep in her own bed and not on the table.”



The three girls trudged up the girls’ dormitory steps, too tired from the night’s festivities to care that as they disappeared from view, the Marauders once again started entertaining, with Sirius Black leading the circus.

Undergoing A Serious Change by hp_princess
Author's Notes:
This is the chapter where Lily remembers the painful past.
Chapter 4





Lily didn’t have the time to write her letter the next day or the day after that. She was still preoccupied with settling in. Classes were as hard as ever and she found herself struggling to stay on top.



One day in Charms was especially challenging, which was saying something since it was one of Lily’s best subjects.



Lily was sitting at one of the back desks with Emily and Julia trying to master a new spell. The incantation was Avis, and it was supposed to conjure a flock of twittering birds but Lily was having difficulty combining the wrist movement with the actual incantation. Remus, on the other hand, had completed the task quite a while ago, making Lily furious. She and Remus used to be friends, the top of their Charms class.



Ever since the incident though, they had never been quite as close. That, and the fact that the charm was about birds, made Lily remember it clearly. It had happened in their fifth year, just before the Christmas break.



Why do I have to remember it like it was yesterday? Lily thought. Her mind drifted back to how it happened, even though she hated to think about it.



Emily, Julia, and I had gone down to lunch; it had been a perfectly normal day. Outside, the sun was shining, and the lake was glistening calm. A ton of people had reported that the temperature outside was rising, and I for one couldn’t wait to get out of the classrooms. Emily had been sent the usual huge package from her mother containing sweets and letters in the morning's post. I had gotten Gryffindor ten more points for performing the Silencing Charm correctly in Charms. My squirrel didn’t even have a chance to chatter before I said the incantation. Professor McGonagall yelled at Julia only once, and we had all been late for Herbology.



So for the most part, the day was off to a good start. I had sat down with Julia on my right, while Emily was on my left. I was feeling content, and my shepherd’s pie was looking very tasty. As I took a gulp of my pumpkin juice I glanced up at the Great Hall entrance.



The four marauders walked casually into the hall, with James Potter in the lead. I would never admit it to anyone, not even Julia or Emily, but he looked so handsome. Especially with his messy black hair sticking up in odd places, and his beautiful brown eyes.



Behind him followed Sirius Black and Remus Lupin. Sirius walked with an arrogant bounce in his step. He was always so funny, no wonder all the girls liked him, and of course he was so good looking! Then Remus, yes Remus. I had always liked him and I knew I always would. His blonde hair fell into his piercing blue-gray eyes. He was so smart, just like me. Behind them followed Peter Pettigrew, trying hard to keep up. Peter was a little awkward to me. He was a little dense and I never figured out why the rest of the group put up with him, but they did and we just left it at that.



The boys sauntered over and sat a few seats down from us. James looked at me and smiled. My insides squirmed. Why did he have that effect on me? It wasn’t like I was in love with him; no, I was far from it. We were just friends, nothing more. I smiled back and watched as he started to fill his plate with food. I had always liked to watch him; I just had to make sure he didn’t catch me.



Returning to my lunch, I heard Julia say, “You were just smiling at James Potter. The James Potter who you swore you would never befriend. Are you feeling ok?” She felt my forehead as if I might have had a fever.



“Yes I am feeling perfectly fine, thank you very much. And we are just friends. Remember?” I looked at her, seeing her search my eyes for something more. She knew we were just friends, and that was all. But she always hoped, just hoped there would be something more. James and I had just started to become civil towards each other. Or should I say I became more civil towards him. We were starting to get along, like friends do.



“Yeah, yeah, that’s what they all say. Next thing you know you’ll be shagging him in a broom closet.” Julia said, giggling.



“Julia!” Emily shrieked. Her brown eyes twinkled as if they shared a secret.



“Oh come on, I was just kidding!”



“It’s ok. But don’t get your hopes up, it won’t happen.” I looked back at James to see him throw an apple at Peter’s head.



Julia chuckled. “Sure it won’t,” she said. Then she stood up, and, taking a last sip of her pumpkin juice, said, “I am going to go back up to the common room to get my potions kit. You coming?”



“Yeah, one sec.” I stuffed the last of my shepherd’s pie in my mouth and followed her towards the entrance hall, Emily in tow.



As we neared the Great Hall’s large oak doors, Snape got up from the Slytherin table and made his way out. I can’t believe I didn’t see it coming before it did, but the two of us collided, and we both dropped our bags and books.



“Watch where you are going, you filthy Mudblood!” he shouted, glaring at me.



“Sorry, I just-”



But I never got to finish my sentence because someone far away yelled, “Flavesco Avis!”



I was hit with the incantation and before I knew it my body was undergoing a serious change in shape. My nose lengthened out and became a beak. My arms grew feathers, as they turned into wings. I tried to speak but all the came out was a giant “Squawk!” My heartbeat quickened and I looked down at my feet. They were bird’s feet, not my usual size nine feet. I panicked and turned around.



Laughter hit me like a blast of icy wind. And it wasn’t kind laughing either. It was evil and mean. I felt my cheeks, or should I say beak, redden. I started screaming at the top of my lungs. But it came out as large “Squawks”, and it made me blush even more.



I turned to Emily and Julia for support, but they had their mouths open in pity. I panicked. As fast as I could I found the mirror in my bag and almost shattered it when I saw my reflection. I squawked again.



This was because I was a humongous, yellow canary.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _



Bullying Toerag With No Heart by hp_princess
Author's Notes:
Here we see the end of Lily's memory and a prank put on by the famous Maruaders.
Chapter 5














I glanced quickly over at the Marauders. They were laughing. My heart stopped. Of course! It was their fault. I was just a simple victim of one of their many everyday jokes. James wasn’t smiling at me earlier as a friend; he was smiling his evil jokester smile. The one every victim receives before the crime.









How could I have fallen for it? We were friends! That was the key word, ‘were’. I guess all that would go down the drain now that they had their little laugh.









I looked over my shoulder and saw a group of seventh year boys gawking at me, pointing with their fingers.









“Oh my God! Eric! Look at the big, fat, yellow bird!”









“It’s a frickin’ canary!” They burst into hysterics, like the rest of the hall.









I felt my eyes moisten and before I could stop them, tears fell down my cheeks. Emily and Julia hurried over with horrified looks upon their faces.









“Holy crap. Lily, are you ok?” Julia circled me and gave me a hug.









“It doesn’t look good, but I bet Madame Pomfrey can fix you up in a jiffy,” Emily comforted.









“Ha ha, is the poor little canary crying?” Snape rose from the floor, his face red from laughing.









“You jerk, leave her alone!” Julia shouted. And with that my two best friends in the world led me to the Hospital Wing, hoping that this was all just a bad dream.




_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _



















Madam Pomfrey was able to fix me up in the blink of an eye; the first thing I had to do was go tell off Potter. I quickly found him in the common room laughing his head off, probably at the cruel joke he had just played on me.









“JAMES POTTER, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR?” I was furious; he had made me one of his victims. I thought we were friends!









“Entertainment, and it was pretty funny, you have to admit.” At this comment Sirius started cracking up, as if the thought of me as a huge yellow canary was completely hilarious.









“What did I ever do to you?” My voice cracked, I felt my eyes grow moist.









“Refused to date me.”









“We were becoming friends!” I shouted, tears streaming down my face. “I was beginning to trust you.” I sank down onto the couch I had been leaning on.









“Lily, I have perfect aim and never miss. But-’’









“Shove off Potter; I am never speaking to you again.” Anger flared inside me, he would pay.









“How many times have I heard that Evans, yet you always come back for more.” I could here a hint of anger in his voice. How could he be mad at me? I didn’t do anything! I was a victim of one of his jokes!









“Shut up Potter, you are a bullying toerag with no heart!”









“Is that so Evans? Well I guess I will just have to make you see that I have a heart.” James had started to move towards me.









“You take one more step and I will hex you to the next century. I hate you! Do you hear me? I hate you! I never want to see your face again!” With that I ran from the room sobbing, leaving James Potter in my wake.









_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _









“Lily. Earth to Lily Evans. Lily!”









Lily was jerked from her memory, eyes focusing on Julia, who was waving a hand in front of Lily’s face. Looking around, she noticed the classroom was empty.









“Where is everyone?” she asked, sitting up.









“Well, they all thought the end of class meant we could go to lunch. You, however, were spacing. What’s up?” Emily asked, taking a seat in one of the abandoned chairs.









“Nothing really, just thinking about the incident,” Lily said modestly, brushing her red hair out of her face.









“Oh, the incident.” Julia looked over at Emily and they locked eyes.









Lily laughed. “Guys, don’t worry. I’m not going to do anything stupid, I am not that sad about it anymore. It is a thing of the past.”









Julia looked Lily over. “Ok, lets go get lunch. I’m starved.”









Lily was surprised and happy about this comment. Julia hadn’t tried to push the issue any further. That was good; it helped when they didn’t make what happened sound so bad and terrifying, even if it was.









_ _ _ _ _









A few days past and Lily soon forgot about the memory, once again. The girls were given loads of homework and could be found in the library more and more often. On Thursday they were researching their papers on Thestrals for Care of Magical Creatures, and had been in the library for what seemed like ages.









“Well, we know that the only people who can see them are people who have watched others snuff it.” Emily suggested, her long face resting on her hand.









“True, what do they eat?” Julia asked as she flipped through Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.









“I believe they eat-’’









But exactly what they eat Julia never found out because, at that exact moment, Robert Brown, a fourth year Hufflepuff, came into the library shouting, “The marauders did it again! Come see what they did to a group of Slytherins!”









“Hush!” shouted Madame Pince. Her face glaring at Robert for disturbing the peace and quiet usually found in her library.









“What did they do now Rob?” asked a short, black haired boy Lily didn’t know.









“Come and see for yourself Nikolas!”









About half the library took this statement as a cue and rushed to the door.









Julia slowly got up, putting her books in her bag. “Come on,” she said, “Lets go see what they did now.”









“I wonder what they did. Do you think they let more nifflers lose in the castle again?” Emily asked heading towards the door.









Julia laughed, “I hope not.”









Lily smiled. The Marauders had their moments. Sometimes they were annoying as hell, while sometimes they were damn right hilarious.









As quickly as they could the three girls joined the crowd that had accumulated in the Great Hall. Lily wasn’t quite sure what all the commotion was about until she stood on tiptoe and saw the scene before her eyes.









A group of Slytherins lay on the stone floor covered in an ever-changing colored goop. Lily laughed. The sight of Snape trying to get up, and slipping over and over again covered in rainbow slop, was enough to make her day.









Just then there was a gigantic popping noise, as more goop fell to the floor. Lily looked skyward to see balloons filled with the unpleasant liquid floating over their heads. Another pop later and some students to the left of Lily got an unpleasant surprise.









“Guys let’s go, I don’t want to get covered in that stuff!” Emily yelled over the chaos now exerted throughout the hall.









Lily pulled Julia back just as another balloon burst, showering a suit of armor and its neighbors. As soon as they were back to their dorm room, Julia cracked up.









“Oh my god! Did you see his face? The little twerp, he was practically swimming in that stuff. Serves him right. Probably washed all that grease out of his hair.”









“Snape? Yeah I saw him. He looked like he was a having a bit of trouble.” Lily groveled down on the floor, imitating Snape trying to get up. She would crawl along the floor, then slip and fall flat on her stomach.









“Yeah. You’ve got to hand it to the Marauders, they are pretty clever,” Emily struggled to say between burst of laughter, because Lily crawling along the floor was just so hilarious.









“They are. But Black just gets on my nerves.” Julia stood up and walked around the room with an arrogant slouch, which you could find Sirius supporting any day. She sauntered over to Emily, put one arm around her waist and said, “Hello my dear. I am Sirius Black. The most pompous, stuck up, arrogant ass to ever walk this earth. Care to dance?” Julia bent into a stooping bow, holding one hand out to Emily.









Lily was now holding on to her bedpost for support she was laughing so hard. “Good one Julia!” she said.









“But,” said Emily grabbing a pillow and hitting Julia over the head, forcing her to topple onto the floor, “If you really were a Black, you should be down in the dirt where you belong!” With that she sat on top of Julia and started smacking her with the pillow.









Lily joined and pretty soon there was a full-fledged pillow fight going on. Feathers everywhere, giggles, and soon the girls were lost in there own world.









_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _









If Only She Could See by hp_princess
Author's Notes:
In which we see James' side of the story and letters are sent.

Chapter 6:





Dear Jep,


Do you really think it’s possible to change your reputation without switching schools? I think if I even tried to change in the slightest way people wouldn’t accept it. They would always think of me as the one to never break rules and the great role model. People would just go crazy if I did anything at all different from my normal routine. So, I guess you are stuck with this version of me for a while. Nevertheless, once I’m somewhere new I think I’ll mix things up a bit, go a little wild. Speaking of wild, the Marauders played a hilarious prank on some Slytherins the other day. It really was funny watching Snape try to get back up. My friends and I entertained ourselves for many hours making fun of him. Have you ever done anything considered in the least bit wild?


Yours truly,


Wisher





James’s eyes scanned the page in his blue journal. Wisher, that’s an interesting choice for a nickname, James thought. He turned to Sirius and said, “Hey, some chick liked our prank. She said so in her letter.”





“Cool, man. Maybe she is the match for you. At least she enjoys our jokes.” He clapped James on the back, then headed towards the dormitory door.





“I doubt it. You know the only one for me is Lily Evans.” He glanced at the letter again. Just saying her name out loud gave him the chills. Lily Evans. The most gorgeous girl on the face of this earth, and now, she wouldn’t even yell at him. I sure messed things up, he thought. If only she could see.





“Hey, lover boy, you coming?”





James didn’t comment. He just stared off into space, thinking about his one and only flower. Lily Evans. Lily Evans. The name was etched in his brain, never fading, always haunting him. If only, he thought again. If only she could see.





_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





Lily, Emily, and Julia were walking to Potions when Lily’s buddy journal started glowing. Excited she opened it up to see a new letter that filled almost a whole page. Happy, she stopped in her tracks and read:





Hey Wisher,


I haven’t done anything to drastic enough to consider it wild. I did blow up a friend’s birthday cake once. It was an accident, so I don’t know if you would consider it extreme. And I too dislike Snape. I doubt this will give away who I am, since he doesn’t exactly have a fan club. You realize you have given me a hint about your identity, you are a studious person. I’m an academic person too, however shocking that may be. Here are some more facts about me. I have two dogs, my favorite color is green, I love the name Harry, and I too enjoy flying. I’m sitting right now in the library, writing this letter, looking at the girls’ faces around me and wondering if one of them is you. Girls’ faces are of course impossible to read, but writing to you reminds me that maybe girls aren’t so unfathomably different from boys.


Your friend, (are we friends?)


Jep





Lily smiled. Of course they were friends! Jep, or whatever his name was, was very interesting. This guy was amusing and romantic, and she liked him, whoever he was.





“So…?” Julia inquired, seeing the look of happiness on Lily’s face.





“Oh, nothing, really,” Lily said, putting the journal back in her bag. “My Inner Buddy is just so entertaining. He is really interesting, you know.”





Judging by the look in Lily’s face, Julia knew it was more than that.





“Really? I didn’t know. What’s he like?” Emily said.





“Funny, charming, thoughtful,” Lily said, turning to Julia.





“Oh boy. Don’t tell me you like this guy already,” Julia said a look of disbelief on her face. “You can’t. You’ve only written to him once.”





“Twice actually, and I don’t,” Lily stated laughing. “I just like his company.”





“Company? You haven’t even met this guy and you like his company? You are crazy.” Lily laughed again, and the girls resumed their route to class. But one mind was a bit preoccupied.


_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _





James sat in Charms class on Wednesday, not paying attention. Well he was paying attention, just not to Professor Flitwick. He was watching Lily. How her beautiful fire-red hair flowed down her back. How she raised her hand to answer every single one of Flitwick’s questions. How her bright green eyes twinkled when she laughed.





Oh, how she haunted him. She was so close, yet so far and distant. She never talked to him anymore, not even to yell at him. She was through with him entirely. Nowadays she would pass him in the hall and not even look at him. When she caught him being mean to Snape, or anybody else for that matter, she would just ignore them and move on. She was over him, completely and forever.





He shook his head. Don’t think that, he told himself. Or you will never get her to change her mind and befriend you again.





Oh, how he wished he had never said those words. To this day they still tortured him, echoing inside his head.





The four of them had been sitting in the common room, talking about the day’s events. Inside, James felt awful, but he masked his feelings for the sake of his dignity. He knew he hadn’t meant to hit her. But that wasn’t what everyone else thought. They weren’t quite sure why James Potter had pulled a prank on Lily Potter, the girl he had always wanted. They didn’t know why he had turned her into a giant canary. They didn’t know the truth, and that had cost him everything.





She had waltzed into the common room, and stomped right up to him.





“JAMES POTTER WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT FOR?” She had yelled to him, making the Marauders silent. Her face was red, but it wasn’t because she was embarrassed, it was because she was full of hatred, and anger.





“Entertainment, and it was pretty funny, you have to admit it, Evans,” he had said. Not agreeing with the words that had just forced their way out of his mouth. Sirius, for some idiotic reason, chose this moment to start laughing again. James wanted to punch him for laughing at Lily. She was hurt, hurt bad.





“What did I ever do to you?” Her voice had cracked, and you could see she was going to cry. James’ heart broke. He had made Lily Evans, his one and only true love, cry.





“Refuse to date me” Again he wasn’t quite sure where these words were coming from, but they were sure coming.





“We were becoming friends!” Lily had shouted at the top of her lungs. “I was beginning to trust you.” She then sank down onto the couch she had been leaning on for support. James wondered if she really wanted to be yelling at him. He knew if he could have chosen, he wouldn’t have picked this conversation.





"“Lily, I have perfect aim and never miss. But-’’ James softened, his shoulders sagged, and you could see it in his eyes. He hadn't meant to hit her. He had hoped she would realize that. And he was so sorry.





“Shove off, Potter; I am never speaking to you again.” She stood up, clenching her fists.





“How many times have I heard that Evans, yet you always come back for more.” How could he be saying that? It was if his brain was on autopilot and just wouldn’t stop.





“Shut up Potter, you are a bullying toe- rag with no heart!” Again, James felt like his heart had shattered.





“Is that so, Evans? Well, I guess I would just have to make you see that I have a heart.” James had started to move towards Lily, his arms outstretched.





“You take one more step, and I will hex you to the next century. I hate you! Do you hear me? I hate you! I never want to see your face again!” She then ran towards the stairs to the girls’ dormitory, leaving James standing there with his arms outstretched.





James had then sunk onto the couch, looking defeated. His eyes were distant, and he kept running his hands through his hair. Lupin, Sirius, and Peter glanced at one another, looks of shock and surprise on their faces. What was James doing not admitting it was an accident? Why would he do that to Lily? And, James, defeated by a girl? James Potter upset and depressed? They would have to fix that.





“Hey, Prongs,” Sirius said, moving over to the couch. “Don’t worry. She will want to see your face again. You are just so good looking” he smiled. But seeing that James hadn’t caught the joke, it quickly turned into a frown.





“Guys,” James said after a few more minutes of silence. “Give it a rest. She hates me. Always has, and always will.”





“Prongs, don’t say that, man. You know she hasn’t always hated you. Like she said, you were becoming friends,” Remus put in.





“Yeah, were being the key word there pal. Were. She hates me now, that’s for sure. And I screwed up big time.” He looked as if he could cry. James, crying? Not good.





“Hey, well you still have us,” Sirius said, trying to cheer him up. Remus gave him a shut-up-now look. “Ok, fine. I won’t try to help.” He returned to the game of Exploding Snap that Lily had so rudely interrupted.





“I am going to bed. Night guys” James got up slowly and made his way towards the staircase. He glanced at the girl’s dormitory and shook his head as he walked up the stairs.





James froze the painfully sad memory, not wanting to be depressed. He again glanced at Lily. She was talking excitedly to Julia. She was waving her hands, and smiling. James smiled. Just seeing her happy made him smile these days.





“I want two rolls of parchment on the history of the charm Sonorus,” Professor Flitwick announced to the class. “Due next class, please.”





James groaned. Behind him he heard Sirius mutter, “Hey, Remus, you will do it for me right?”





Remus laughed. “You? The great, magnificent Sirius Black, have me do his homework? I don’t think so. Aren’t you a big boy now? You can do it yourself.”





“What? But Mommy, I do not want do it! Homework is so boring.” Sirius was looking at Remus with puppy dog eyes that usually got him his way. James and Peter laughed.





“Nope-” But before Remus could make another remark Professor Flitwick spoke.





“You may go to your next class now.”





James got up amused at Sirius’ attempts to avoid homework. He was tired, but he made an effort to look awake and good as he passed Lily. He could feel her gaze on him as he made his way to the door. A bit of improvement, and hey, he could still try to impress her couldn’t he?


Chapter 7: Done With the Male Race by hp_princess
“Oh my God! Can you believe him?” Lily exclaimed, throwing her book bag onto a chair in the common room. She was a sight. Her beautiful fiery hair that usually sat around her shoulders was whisked about her face, and her eyes were on fire. She threw herself after her book bag and landed on the chair with a thud.

Julia and Emily clambered through the portrait hole after her. Lily wasn’t in a good mood. What had James done now? They had been looking forward to a calm, relaxing afternoon. They had been having a good day so far, but it looked as if James had rained on the parade.

“Lily, what did he do?” Emily asked, moving over to the circle of chairs in the corner where Lily was seated.

“Everything! He was his usual self! That’s what’s wrong! He was his usual ignorant, arrogant, stuck up self!”

“What did he say?” Julia sighed. This had become a regular routine. Over the past few years Julia and Emily had gotten used to Lily’s ranting about James. They hoped, that someday, she would get over it.

“Well,” Lily sighed, taking in a deep breath to clear her thoughts, “It wasn’t what he said, but how he acted. He knows I despise his very being, and yet, continues to try and win me over. I don’t know why anyone would be with him.

“All day today, it seems as if he has been trying to impress me. In Charms today, he was watching me, I could feel it. Not only was he just staring at me, which I hate, he wasn’t even paying attention to what Flitwick was saying! I bet you he will get a bad grade on our exams.”

“Lily,” Julia warned.

“Oh, right. I am getting off topic. Anyways. Then at lunch, you know the little first year Ian Talleyrand?” Lily continued when both Julia and Emily nodded yes.

“Well I caught James teaching that kid how to use Rictusempra. He used it on Black and Talleyrand started laughing wickedly. I walked up to him and asked him what he was doings teaching a first year the tickling charm. Potter said he was using his good qualities and helping students, instead of pulling pranks on people himself! Yeah, right! I blew up at him and asked him why the hell he was teaching a first year how to use that charm. And he said “Well, somebody told me girls like you dig it when guys like me are around little kids!’” Lily paused, talking in a deep breath.

Emily and Julia shared a look and decided Lily needed some fresh air.

“Come on, Lils,” Emily said, pulling her up. “Let’s go take a walk.”

“But we have so much homework, and that essay due for McGonagall. I can’t.”

“Lily. If I can take off an hour to listen to you rant about Potter, which I do every now and then, you can take of thirty minutes to take a walk with your two best friends in the whole wide world.” Julia grinned, “Sound like a plan?”

“Oh, all right.”

- - - - - -- -- - - - - - -

Out in the cold, the three friends walked around the lake. It was good for them to get out together. Ever since school started they had all been so busy. Sure, they were always together, but they hadn’t had much girl time.

They kept walking, bundling their cloaks closer. It was only mid September, but it was getting chilly. The leaves were turning colors, brilliant reds and oranges. Lily loved the fall, it was so peaceful and colorful, and there was an overall crispness in the air. Julia, on the other hand, always made a big show of explaining why autumn was such a dull month. Lily couldn’t get why, it was just so peaceful.

The girls reached a familiar spot, one they used to visit in their younger years. They would come out to the lake to talk about boys and play around. Their secret haven was located in and around a huge old willow, whose branches stretched far over the water. The gnarled trunk was twisted from time and the girls thought it told its own story. They would spend hours looking at carvings and marks left by other students, love notes and words of wisdom.

Each had their favorite spot where they liked to sit. Julia had her favorite perch in a willow branch that hung out over the lake. It was way up in the tree, and she had to climb a ways to get to it. She always made a show of falling or getting stuck, while really the three knew she was an excellent climber. Julia clambered up the trunk and carefully edged her way across the limb, not sure if it would hold her.

Lily and Emily, however, both had special nooks in the roots of the tree, which sprawled out along the bank. Irene’s was up near the base of trunk, where she could sit cross-legged snug between the roots. Lily, on the other hand, was further down towards the water. She had a special root that hung on the bank, and she always used to dip her feet in during their special talks.

The girls nestled into their spots, sitting in silence for a few minutes, taking in the beautiful scenery. They were all so busy with their grownup lives that they hadn’t been out here for a while. The lapping of the waves calmed all troubles, rolling over the sand and Lily’s toes. The rhythms of the waves seemed to take them away from the chaotic world they were a part of. They sat peacefully until Lily broke the silence.

“I am sorry I am always such a prat when it comes to Potter. I just don’t get it; I can’t get over how annoying he is. He is always there, talking to me, trying to impress me. He- ”

“Lily,” Emily said cutting her off, “We know everything James does to impress you. We have been right with you all these past years, we know.”

“We sure do, mate, you never stop talking about him. If I didn’t know any better I’d think you were madly in love with him. Infatuated, maybe.” Julia smiled down at Lily. Sure, Lily talked nonstop about how annoying James Potter was, but deep down Julia knew Lily liked it, and she wasn’t going to stop until she realized it for herself.

“I do not!” Lily exclaimed.

“Do too!” Emily and Julia stated in unison, both smiling.

“Oh. not again! What is with you too ganging up on me about this? You always do, and you better not contradict me, Julia Rene Demartini, I am not in love with James.”

She was silent, and turned to look over the water.

“You do too,” Julia whispered quietly, “And you just proved it yourself. You said his first name.”

“Which, might I add,” Emily said, “You never do.”

“Oh, so now saying someone’s first name means I’m in love with them?” Emily looked at Julia with the oh-boy-what-is-she-on-now look. Julia just winked, her hazel eyes twinkling.

“Yes, I am hinting you are in love with Peter Pettigrew.” Julia sighed. “I know it’s hard for you to face the truth, but we can see it in your eyes when you look at him.”

Lily turned around to stare at Julia. Her face made it seem like she was irritated. Then, however, she burst out laughing.

“Me? Like Peter?” She was laughing so hard now. “That’s a good one, Julia. Hahaha, Peter.” While Lily was having her laughing attack, Julia quietly climbed down the willow. She held her finger to her lips as if to shush Irene from saying anything, then she pushed Lily in the lake. Lily shrieked and splashed like mad, sending droplets of lake water all over. Soon Irene and Julia were also in the water, splashing like mad. Shrieks of laughter filled the air, and the girls clambered out, sopping wet.

“I am going to get you for that, Julia. That was cruel.” Lily was grinning like mad.

“We could tell Sirius how much she wants to shag him in the broom closet,” Emily suggested.

“You could,” Julia jumped up grinning, “But then you would have to stop me from telling Peter that both of you want to go with him to Hogsmeade.”

Emily and Lily looked at Julia in horror, who clambered back up to her branch, knowing they wouldn’t follow.

“You wouldn’t!” Emily accused.

“She would,” Lily said.

“Ok, ok, I know I am the big bad wolf here, but let’s change the topic, we are giving dear Peter too much recognition.”

Emily smiled. “Ok, I know we already touched on this but we haven’t had this conversation for a while. Who does everyone have a crush on at the moment?”

For a moment all that could be heard was the wind in the trees, and the girls didn’t notice the jet black dog creeping through the trees on his belly, accompanied by an elegant stag. The two creatures settled and looked at the girls through the underbrush. The dog looked longingly at the girl in the tree, while the stag had eyes only for the redhead.

Once again Lily broke the silence. “No one. I’m done with the male race, and you two know that. They just cause too much drama.” At this Julia coughed, making Emily smile. “Sure they are cute and fun to flirt with, but I don’t want commitment. I need to get ready for our exams.”

“Here, here. I agree.” Emily exclaimed, clapping.

“Well, I don’t agree, but nice speech anyway.” At this Lily made a funny face at Julia, who just kept on talking. “I know you guys saw this coming, and since you already knew I figured you’d be ok with it. But you don’t have to worry, I am not going to act upon this.”

“Black,” was all Lily said, hugging her knees to her chest. Julia nodded. The dog, hidden by the arousing shadows, wagged its tail furiously.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=27445