Lily, James and Harry Potter by Mad_as_a_Fishie
Summary: Lily and James are getting on rather peacefully with their lives when Dumbledore arrives to inform them that they have been marked for death by Lord Voldemort. They enlist the help of James's, best friend, Sirius Black who makes a suggestion that could change their fates dramatically.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: Abuse
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 7408 Read: 6849 Published: 11/18/04 Updated: 11/20/04

1. The Fatal Mistake by Mad_as_a_Fishie

2. The Power of the Dark Lord. by Mad_as_a_Fishie

3. Padfoot's Pain by Mad_as_a_Fishie

The Fatal Mistake by Mad_as_a_Fishie
As Lily Potter ascended the stairs to check on her son Harry, someone knocked at the door. She heard her husband, James’ voice call from the kitchen, “I’ll get that Lily!”

She entered her son’s room, he was awake.

“Hello sleepy,” she said affectionately as she lifted him from his cot, “Did you have a nice nap?”

Harry was only a year old and already had a thick mop of untidy dark hair. His bright green eyes stared into his mother's, which were the same colour, and he gurgled contentedly. Lily held him close to her. At that moment James called up the stairs, “Lily, I think you had better come down!” There was something in his voice she didn’t like, still holding Harry she descended the stairs an uneasy feeling in her stomach.

James was in the living room with their visitor.

“Dumbledore!” she exclaimed “What are you doing here?” Dumbledore’s blue eyes gazed at her and then lowered to stare at Harry; his eyes were grave. “What’s wrong?” she asked.

Dumbledore uttered one word.

“Voldemort.”

Lily glanced at James. They had known for months that Voldemort had been following their movements. Indeed they had already had three near misses where Voldemort had nearly killed them but since Harry had been born, for his sake, they had refrained from any resistance; they could not bear the thought of Harry's growing up without them. Dumbledore continued with some difficulty.

“Things are getting dangerous. He’s desperate to find you. You remember the prophecy I told you about just after Harry was born?”

They nodded silently.

“Well, until now, he has been hesitant about taking action because he knows or at least suspects that he didn’t hear the full prophecy. Which is true. But now he has decided to risk it.”

Lily glanced uneasily at James, who was staring at Dumbledore fearfully.

“You said a year ago that the prophecy could mean two boys, Dumbledore. Harry and Neville Longbottom. Are you sure he’s definitely after Harry?” he asked, his voice shaking with dread. They stared at Dumbledore, who seemed to be working up the motivation to speak. They knew the answer by his expression long before he said it.

“Yes.”

“He wants to kill Harry!” murmured Lily. Dumbledore closed his eyes and spoke with difficulty.

“That’s right,” James placed an arm around Lily’s shoulders and lowered his eyes to his son who was struggling to get out of his mother’s arms. Lily gently lowered him to the floor, and Harry began to crawl awkwardly around. James felt as if his heart had been ripped out; he couldn’t let anything happen to Harry. He would rather die than watch his son suffer at the hands of Voldemort.

“Bu t… didn’t you say … ” Lily began hesitantly trying to remember Dumbledore’s words, “ … wasn’t there something in the prophecy about Voldemort's marking the child as his equal. Surely he realises that something will happen if he tries to attack Harry that will mark him. He must see that the best thing to do is just leave it -- then neither will be his equal.”

“No Lily, he doesn’t know about that part of the prophecy. His spy was discovered and thrown out before he could hear that part. As far as he’s concerned, killing Harry will rid him of the one person who can bring about his downfall,” said Dumbledore gravely.

Lily sighed. She looked lost. Bending down, she picked Harry up off the floor where he had been playing with a discarded sock. Desperately she held him close, James squeezed her gently with his arm still around her shoulder and with his other hand reached to stroke his son’s hair. Harry looked up at his parents still smiling warmly raising the sock to his mouth.

“There is one sure way of protecting you, and that is the Fidelius Charm,” said Dumbledore. “You will need to choose a Secret Keeper.”

“Sirius,” said James immediately. Dumbledore hesitated.

“I think, James, it might be best if I become your Secret Keeper. It is obvious from the information Voldemort has received that someone close to you has turned traitor … ”

“Are you suggesting Sirius is this traitor, Dumbledore?” asked James incredulously.

“No James, I am merely saying that to be on the safe side, it would be best if I became your Secret Keeper. It may be Sirius, it may not. All I can say is that one of your close friends is betraying you and it would be safer for you all if you refrained from using them as your Secret Keeper.”

James shook his head.

“It’s not Sirius,” he said with utmost certainty. Lily looked at him.

“James … ”

“You’ve met him, Lily, you know him,” he cried, “Would he betray us? He’s Harry’s Godfather for goodness sake. Do you remember how happy he was when he held Harry for the first time, and we told him we’d like him to be Harry’s guardian? Sirius isn’t the traitor. He’d die before betraying us, you know that.”

Lily shook her head as she tucked a lock of hair back behind her ear to stop Harry from tugging on it.

“James, I find it hard to believe Sirius would betray us too, but often it’s the ones we least expect who turn out to be traitors and let’s face it no matter how much you trust him it will be safer to let Dumbledore be the Secret Keeper.”

James shook his head again.

“It’s not him,” he said stubbornly, “I trust him with my life. He will be our Secret Keeper.”

Lily sighed and stood up. “Fine, but I think you’re being foolish,” and with that she left the room, taking Harry with her.

James stared after her.

“I understand her concerns Dumbledore but I’ve known Sirius longer than she has and I am one-hundred percent positive that he is not the traitor. In fact, I don’t think any of my friends are.”

Dumbledore seemed worried. He stood up and took his cloak from the back of the chair he had been sitting on.

“Well, it’s against my better judgement, James, but if you insist, then I will trust you. You are definitely using Sirius?”

“Yes, I know you have doubts, Dumbledore, but I know Sirius will never betray us -- he’d rather die.”

“Yes well,” Dumbledore fastened his cloak and held out a hand, and James shook it. “I sincerely hope you, Lily and Harry will be kept safe. Hopefully you will not have to be in hiding for long.” And with that he exited the house. James shut and bolted the door after him and went to look for Lily.

She was sitting at the kitchen table feeding Harry. He sat opposite her, her eyes remained fixed on Harry.

“James, are you sure about this? I do trust Sirius but I’d feel much safer if Dumbledore was our Secret Keeper.”

James reached over and squeezed her hand. “I know you’re worried Lily; I am too. But I trust Sirius as much as I trust Dumbledore -- we’ll be safe, don’t you worry,” he said reassuringly. Lily sighed and nodded.

“Right, I think we should waste no more time, I’ll contact Sirius. Are you coming?” he asked. Lily raised her eyes to his.

“Yes, maybe you’re right, James. Maybe I’m just worrying too much.”

James smiled. “Come on then.”

They entered the living room. Harry was becoming sleepy. James crossed to their open fire place and took a small china pot from the mantelshelf; it was full of glittering Floo Powder. Taking a handful he threw it into the fire, the flames turning bright green. Lily placed Harry in one of the arm chairs and placed cushions protectively around him so he could not fall off. Behind her she heard James talking to Sirius.

“Sirius! … Yes we’re fine thank you. Mate, could you do us a favour and come round for a second? We need to have a chat.” He pulled his head out of the flames and seconds later, a figure appeared spinning in the flames. Out of the fire place stepped Sirius Black, James’s best and oldest friend.

“James, mate!” he laughed, throwing his arm around James’s shoulders in a brotherly embrace. “Long time no see!”

“Well, we’ve been very busy recently.”

“Well, that’s understandable, what with having a kid as lively as Harry. Lily! How are you?” He gave her a friendly hug.

“I’m fine, thanks, Sirius,” she said smiling slightly. Sirius always managed to cheer her up no matter how bad she felt. He was one of those people who always seemed to be doing something; he was lively and energetic and always willing to give a friendly hug and a smile even when he wasn’t feeling too good himself. It was surprising given the family the poor guy had grown up in.

“And there’s the man himself!” laughed Sirius as he noticed Harry sitting on the chair.

As soon as he had heard Sirius’ voice Harry had snapped out of his doze. He giggled as Sirius swept him up onto his strong shoulders. James smiled. Harry loved when Sirius visited them. He was always playing games with Harry and teasing him. Harry now laughed happily from above Sirius’ head and tugged at the dark hair in front of him.

“Ow! Little monster! He’s got a strong grip there, James!” chuckled Sirius. He lifted Harry down and handed him to James. “Now, what do you need to talk to me about?”

He took one look at James’ grave face and sat down, “What’s happened?”

James sat down next to Lily on the sofa, and placed Harry on his knee.

“We’ve just had a visit from Dumbledore.”

“Dumbledore?”

“Yes, he had some, well, bad news … ” he held Harry tight and told Sirius all that Dumbledore had told them. “So I was wondering if you’d be our Secret Keeper,” he finished.

Sirius was frowning.

“He’s after Harry? My God! Well, sure, I’d love to be you’re Secret Keeper it’s just … ”

“What?”

“Well … Voldemort will probably guess you’ll use the Fidelius Charm and he’ll also guess that you’ll use me as a Secret Keeper.”

James frowned.

“What’re you getting at?”

“Well, I just thought, maybe it would be better if you used someone he’d never suspect you’d use, like Peter. Voldemort would never imagine you’d use someone like him -- it’s the perfect bluff, you’ll be safer than if I were your Secret Keeper.”

Lily looked uneasy.

“I don’t know, Sirius,” she said hesitantly, “I’ve never been overly fond of Pettigrew. I’ve got a feeling that if Voldemort ever found out that Pettigrew was our Secret Keeper it wouldn’t take long before he gives up and betrays us. He’s a coward Sirius, I never liked him even at Hogwarts, and it was obvious that he only hung around with you because you were the most powerful and intelligent students in the year. If I had to take a bet on which of James’s friends is the traitor, I’d bet on Pettigrew.”

Sirius laughed.

“Peter a servant of Voldemort? Lily, he’s petrified of him. I can’t imagine him going anywhere near him.”

Lily shook her head slightly.

“I don’t trust him Sirius,” she said shortly.

James maneuvered Harry so that he was sitting a little more comfortably. He was regarding Sirius with some doubt.

“I’m not sure, mate. I trust you more than I trust Peter.”

“Then trust me now. I’ll keep an eye on him regularly. If he gives any hint that he’s the traitor I’ll kill him in the spot. Happy?”

They were silent. Lily watched James, fearfully hoping he wouldn’t agree. Not taking up Dumbledore’s offer was one thing, but now he was considering using Peter Pettigrew -- it was madness!

“Alright then Sirius, I’ll trust you on this one, but please keep a close eye on him. I’ll feel much better if you’re close to him.”

“Sure, I’ll make sure I’m somewhere close to him. You’ll be safe.” Lily made a small, frustrated noise and disappeared up the stairs.

“She never liked him,” James explained, “She tried to stop me inviting him to our wedding, too.” He sighed and stood up. “Well mate, it's getting quite late, and Harry should have been in bed ages ago. I’ll contact Peter tomorrow to perform the charm.”

Sirius took Harry from James and stared at him.

“There’s no way I’ll let that devil hurt you James -- and definitely not my little matey Harry,” he tickled Harry under the chin, “I’ll guard Pettigrew with my life, you can count on that.”

He gave Harry a quick peck on the top of the head, handed him back to James and walked to the fire place.

“And … if by any chance something does happen to us … ” said James a slight tone of fear in his voice.

“Then Harry can have a safe home with me, but I hope to God it doesn’t come to that.” James placed Harry gently on the sofa and embraced Sirius.

“So do I, mate. So do I.”

And with that Sirius took a handful of Floo Powder and disappeared in a whirl of emerald flames.

Picking up Harry and holding him tight, James climbed the stairs to find Lily. He was afraid. He wouldn’t have minded much if Voldemort was after him, he’d had enough practice at escaping him, but to know he was after Harry … what if he came before the Fidelius Charm was performed? He shivered and kissed his son on the cheek, he would never let Voldemort hurt Harry, at least not while he was alive. Lily was in their bedroom sitting on the bed, her head in her hands. Before going in to her, he took Harry into his room and placed him gently into his cot. Harry sighed sleepily and stuck his tiny thumb into his mouth. James tenderly stroked his hair then turned around and went to Lily.

She looked up as he entered the room. Her eyes were red, she was crying.

“Are you mad, James? Have you gone insane? First you tell Dumbledore you don’t want to use him as a Secret Keeper and now you’ve allowed Sirius to persuade you to use Pettigrew! Do you want to see your son dead?” she sobbed angrily.

“Of course not Lily, don’t say things like that,” he said sitting next to her. “Sirius is still protecting us -- you know he sticks to his word.”

“Pettigrew isn’t as stupid as he looks, if he is the traitor, he’ll slip through Sirius’s fingers some way or another.”

“Stop worrying Lily, I trust Sirius. Even if he does, you can guarantee he’ll come and warn us. We’ll go to Godric’s Hollow; Voldemort is sure to know we’re here by now.”

Lily was silent. She knew it was pointless saying anything else now that James had made up his mind. She stood and went to see Harry. He was asleep. She stoked his cheek gently, tears falling down her face.

“Harry,” she whispered, “if anything does happen to me, or to James, we’ll always be there for you, always. No matter what you do or where you are, we’ll be watching you, and I know you’ll make us very proud. Remember that, we’ll always be there, and we’ll always love you.”

Tears streaming from her eyes, she turned and left the room.

* * *


A few days had gone by since the Fidelius Charm had been performed. Sirius mounted his flying motorbike and took off heading toward Peter’s hiding place. So far everything had gone well, Lily and James were safe and there had been no indication of Voldemort's having any clue of where they were. He was almost certain now that Peter was not the traitor. If he was, surely he would have given the information away immediately. It had been almost a week and nothing had happened. He descended as Peter’s hideout came into view, it was quiet, and the lights were out. A small seed of uncertainty sprang to Sirius’ mind. He jumped of his motorbike almost as soon as it touched the ground. The house looked empty. What if Voldemort had come for Peter?

His heart beating hard against his chest Sirius ran up to the door, it was swinging open … but not forced open. He entered the dark house.

“Peter? Peter!” No answer. Panicking, Sirius mounted the stairs and checked every room, finding nothing he searched downstairs. Nothing. No note, no signs of life. No signs of a struggle. Peter had left voluntarily. His heart stopped.

“Lily was right! She was right!” he yelled and he ran as fast as he could and mounted his bike. They needed him -- Lily and James needed him! He didn’t care about Muggles seeing him, he didn’t care about the danger he was putting himself in. The Potters needed him.
The Power of the Dark Lord. by Mad_as_a_Fishie
Lily and James sat in the living room of Godric’s Hollow playing with Harry. As always, he was smiling and giggling and thoroughly enjoying himself. James grasped him by both hands and lifted him up.

“OK matey, let’s see if you can walk to Mummy!” Awkwardly, Harry put one faltering foot in front of the other his hands raised in the air and clenched in his fathers strong grip. Lily held out her hands out and threw them around Harry as he came close enough and James let go. Laughing, Harry clung to her.

“Good boy!” she laughed lifting him onto her knee.

James smiled and moved to the window. Lily began bouncing Harry on her knee laughing as every time he bounced up, Harry gave little giggles of joy. Suddenly James froze. Lily looked up sharply.

“James? What is it?”
“It’s him.”
“What?”
“Voldemort.”
Lily froze too.
“Are you sure?”

She stood and carried Harry to the window. A dark cloaked and hooded figure was approaching the house. It neared the gate and blasted it open with its wand. James sprang into action, grabbing his wand from the window sill.

“Lily, take Harry and go! It’s him! Go! Run! I’ll hold him off!” he yelled.
“I’ll help you!”
“No!” he yelled, “Take Harry, save Harry. If I don’t manage to hold him off … just run. And tell Harry I love him.” And with that he dragged Lily out of the room. She stumbled and grabbed her wand as she went. Harry was crying, the noise frightened him. She turned to James he squeezed her shoulders and kissed her and then Harry.
“Go!”

Lily ran into the kitchen and opened the back door. She ducked just in time as a jet of green light flew towards her. A group of Death Eaters were guarding the back. She turned and ran back into the hall just as the front door burst open and a high pitched laugh rang from outside.

Quickly she ran upstairs, heard voices downstairs, spells shooting, stumbles, bangs, cries of anger and pain. Hurtling into her bedroom she set Harry gently on the bed and pulled out her wand. She hesitated. What should she do? Her first instinct was to help James, but she was worried about Harry. If she left him alone, the Death Eaters might find a way in -- they might try to kill him! Maybe she should escape while Voldemort is distracted. There might just be time to escape out of the window; their bedroom faced the front not the back. But Death Eaters might be encircling the house. If that was true they wouldn’t get far. She could hear distant shouts from downstairs, James shouting with fury, the high cold laugh of Voldemort. Lily was undecided. She bent down and kissed Harry trying to console him. Suddenly, there was an almighty crash downstairs and James’ voice crying out in pain. That decided it, James need her help. She couldn’t leave him to face Voldemort alone. She sprang up, and ran down the stairs, hoping upon hope that Harry would be alright.

Just as she reached the bottom a jet of green light shot into the hall and something heavy hit the foot of the stairs. It was James, bleeding, motionless.

Dead.

“James, NO!” she cried and ran to him. There was no mistake, he was dead. Tears streamed down her face as she cradled his head in her arms and kissed his cheek. He was dead. Harry had no father. Her body shook with grief.

“Oh, what a touching sight.” Lily looked up. Stepping out of the living room was a tall, white-faced figure with red, snake-like eyes and unnaturally long fingers, an evil sneer stretched across his face. Lord Voldemort!

“That is what happens when you stand in Lord Voldemort’s way. I trust you will not be foolish enough to do the same. Now stand aside and tell me where you have hidden your brat,” he hissed in his cold, high pitched voice. A sudden wave of furious determination seized Lily, she glared at Voldemort, and then, suddenly, like a rabbit that has spotted a fox, she darted up stairs.

A jet of green light narrowly missed her. Footsteps! He was following her. She hurtled into the room where Harry lay, still crying, locked the door and swept him into her arms. Where should she go? She had to escape. There was no fire place in this room, they didn’t have a broom she couldn’t Apparate, not without leaving Harry behind. Maybe she should risk jumping out of the window. Yes, it was the only way. She had to get Harry out! She ran to the window and pointed her wand at it.

Alohomora!” she cried. The window immediately burst open just as the door behind her was thrown open. Voldemort stepped inside and pointed his wand at the window, it flew shut with a bang.

Alohomora! Alohomora!” she screamed desperately. But it was no use -- the window wouldn’t budge. Her only chance now was to try to get past Voldemort … Floo Powder -- maybe she could use that if she could get downstairs in time. Voldemort was advancing on her.

“So, this is the brat who will bring about my downfall! What a pitifully weak creature he is,” he sneered. Harry had stopped crying, his eyes were red and he was staring at Voldemort defiantly as he clung to Lily’s shirt. Lily stroked his hair and whispered gently in his ear.

“We’ll be alright Harry. You’ll be alright. I won’t let them hurt you.” Voldemort advanced further and she saw shadows behind him, she held tightly to Harry as she realised there was no escape, the landing was swarming with Death Eaters.

They were trapped.

“Now hand over the child and I will not harm you.” Lily was afraid. She placed Harry on the bed behind her, whipped round and shot a spell at Voldemort. Taken aback he deflected it but only just in time. Lily ducked as the spell reverberated and another spell from Voldemort’s wand this time hit her directly in the chest and sent her flying into the wall, as she landed she heard a crack, her wand was broken, she had no protection. Dazed she looked up and saw Voldemort towering over Harry who stared back. He raised his wand and pointed it at the small defiant form.

“NO!” she screamed and threw herself at him. Voldemort fell. She grabbed Harry and placed him next to the wall, shielding him with her body.

“What are you doing?” he yelled.
“You’re not going to kill him!”
“Stand aside!”
“No!”
“Stand aside or I will have to kill you too.”
“Then kill me, you will not hurt my son!”

Voldemort stared at her. It was obvious he could not understand why she was doing this. It was beyond his comprehension. He was brimming with hatred and ruled by the blackest evil. He could not understand love.

He made a sharp gesture with his hand and two Death Eaters advanced from the pack on the landing, grabbed Lily and tried to pull her away.

“NOOOO!” she screamed now terrified, panic whirling around inside her. She fought the Death Eaters off her and threw herself again in front of her son blood pouring from a gash from her left temple where she had hit the wall.

“Not Harry, not Harry, please not Harry!”
Voldemort reached out and tried to pull her aside.
“Stand aside, you silly girl … stand aside now!”
“No! Not Harry, please no! Take me! Kill me instead! I don’t care just don’t kill my son! Don’t kill Harry!” She was desperate. Again Voldemort tried to move her. She screamed.

“Not Harry! Please … have mercy … have mercy!”
One of the Death Eaters who had tried to pull her away from Harry stepped forward and raised his wand.
“No Lucius! This is a task for Lord Voldemort alone,” Voldemort hissed. The cold grey eyes behind the mask looked gravely disappointed as he stepped back. Lily clung to Harry, Voldemort turned to her.

“Stand aside girl,” he yelled, furious.
“No please. Don’t kill Harry, I’ll do anything!”
“Anything?”
“Anything!”
“Then die!” he shrieked! And pointing his wand at her he yelled,
“AVADA KEDAVRA!”

A jet of green light flew from his wand. Lily couldn’t do anything, her wand was gone and if she moved the curse would hit Harry. She had no choice, no choice at all. Her son would grow up with no parents; the thing she feared the most had come true. As the deadly spell hit her tears poured unceasingly down her face and with her last breath she screamed:
“Harry!!!” There was a whooshing sound and she slumped to the floor. Motionless.

Harry clung to the lifeless body of his mother and stared up at the glaring red eyes of Voldemort. Amazingly he did not cry, his eyes were red, but he did not cry. Voldemort smirked and spoke his voice oozing with sarcasm.

“Harry Potter! What a chaos you’ve caused. What a shame you now have no parents. Still, you won’t have to worry about that for long.” He raised his wand and pointed it at Harry who remained motionless still holding on to handfuls of his mother’s shirt. Quietly this time and with obvious malicious pleasure Voldemort spoke the spell.
“Avada Kedavra!”

A flash of green light flew from his wand and hit Harry with such force that he was thrown backward, but instead of killing him, the spell reverberated back as sharply as though a mirror had been placed there. Voldemort barely had time to think. The spell hit him directly in the chest. With a yell he was flung against the wall, bright silver and emerald flashes emanated from Voldemort’s body as he screamed in pain.

The Death Eaters were blinded, they couldn’t see. Harry lay crying on the floor a great red slash cut into his forehead. Then with a deafening explosion Voldemort vanished as whisp of grey smoke flew unseen towards the window and disappeared into the night. The Death Eaters were shouting and yelling in confusion, Voldemort had gone, but where? How?

They heard footsteps downstairs, someone was coming. Feeling lost with out their master with them and confused about what had just happened, the Death Eaters panicked and apparated with loud resounding cracks.
Padfoot's Pain by Mad_as_a_Fishie
Sirius landed outside Godric’s Hollow and ran to the gate. Noticing that it had been blown off its hinges, his heart sank. He was too late, Voldemort had come. He hurtled towards the front door and skidded to a halt as he noticed the figure at the bottom of the stairs. It felt as though his heart had suddenly disappeared, it felt like every organ in his body had disappeared. He was empty. Slowly he knelt down and lifted James’s head.

“James? James, mate, wake up.”

He knew it was pointless; he could tell James was dead, but a part have him didn’t believe it. Couldn’t believe it. Tears sprang to his eyes as he looked at James’s limp form, his eyes were still open staring blankly up at Sirius. He held him close, rocking back and forth his body racked with sobs, his chest hurt, aching with grief. He looked around, the living room was destroyed, scorch marks in the walls furniture blown apart. Signs of a desperate, futile struggle. It was his fault. His fault. If he hadn’t … no, don’t think … don’t think about that. He gently lay James down and closed his eyes.

Suddenly he heard a floorboard creak upstairs and a child crying. Harry! He must be still alive! But not for long, if that was Voldemort up there … Sirius grasped his wand and slowly ascended the stairs following the noise of Harry’s crying. It was coming from one of the bedrooms. Slowly, quietly Sirius crept up to the room. There was another creak, there was definitely someone in there with him. The door was open slightly, he could see the shadows of someone moving. Sirius kicked the door open with a loud bang and aimed his wand at the figure.

“What the …”

“... Hagrid?”

An enormous hairy figure stood facing Sirius. It was Rubeus Hagrid, the game keeper at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry.

“Sirius? What’re you doin’ ‘ere?”

“I … I … Lily!” He had just noticed Lily’s body lying on the floor, and he ran to her.

“I know, she was tryin’ ter protect ‘im, poor liddle tyke,” said Hagrid softly. Sirius looked up and for the first time noticed he was carrying Harry who had now stopped crying but was sniffing and making little dry sobs every now and again.

“He’s alive?”

“Yep, miracle. But there you go.”

Sirius stood and looked at Harry.

“My God, his head.” He stared at the slash on Harry’s head, which was shaped like a lightning bolt. He touched it gently, Harry winced and gave a little cry of pain, Sirius quickly withdrew his hand and turned away, the tears came back.

“I … I was too late!” he whispered, trembling.

“There was nothin’ you could do Sirius,” said Hagrid, “Nothin’ anyone could do.”

“No… I could have done something, I could have … I don’t know … I …” he reached out to Harry, who grasped his finger. He no longer smiled at Sirius but gazed sadly at him with his large, green eyes still moist from his tears.

“Give Harry to me Hagrid, I’m his godfather, I’ll … I’ll look after him.”

Hagrid shook his head. “Sorry, Sirius, Dumbledore’s orders, I gotta take ‘im ter live with his Aunt and Uncle.”

“What! Lily’s sister? Hagrid you can’t do that! You can’t subject him to that! That woman hated Lily, she’ll hate Harry as well. He’ll … he’ll be shunned by them, neglected!” Sirius was thinking of his own upbringing, from what he’d heard about Lily’s sister she would treat Harry just like he was treated at home. Neglected, abused and shunned -- with no friends to talk to. He had been trapped his whole childhood, he did not want Harry to go through the same.

“Sorry Sirius but tha’s me orders,” said Hagrid although he clearly agreed.

“Please Hagrid, give him to me. You’ve got to, I’ll look after him!” Sirius begged. He’d get down on his knees if he had to; they weren’t going to take him.

“Sirius, Dumbledore says it’s the best way ter protect ‘arry. He needs to stay with a blood relative, and as they’re the only ones … ” he trailed off looking lost, " ... look, I don’t want ter take ‘im anymore ‘n you do, but I got me orders, and I’m gonna stick to ‘em.”

Sirius knew there was no arguing, he nodded, took one last look at Harry who stared at him with large, bright green, sad eyes.

“See ya then,” said Hagrid as he turned to leave.

“Hagrid!” he stopped and looked at Sirius, “My bike’s parked outside. Take it. I … I won’t need it anymore.” Hagrid frowned slightly, confused.

“If tha’s what you want.”

Sirius nodded.

“Please, it’ll get Harry there quickly … and safely.”

Hagrid nodded, turning he squeezed himself through the door. Seconds later there was the sound of the motorbike starting up, a loud rumble and the wheels screeching. Sirius watched out of the window as the motor bike sped away through the darkness, taking Harry with it.

Turning back to the room he stared at the destruction, Lily’s limp body. He felt like his heart was trying to force its way out of his chest -- the grief and guilt were too much, almost like a physical aching pain, he knelt and sobbed uncontrollably, thinking of Harry growing up at his aunt and uncle’s.

“I’ve done that to him. It’s my fault … if I hadn’t had that ridiculous idea to use Peter in the first place … ”

Peter!

Sirius felt himself bubbling with anger, with hatred, the deepest, darkest most potent hatred he’d ever felt. Peter had betrayed James, betrayed his friend; he was serving Lord Voldemort. Sirius’s hatred was bubbling to the surface. He couldn’t contain it anymore and he screamed one long piercing shriek, every ounce of grief, every burst of anger and every burning weight of hatred he vented in that scream. It hurt, his chest ached his throat throbbed but he didn’t care, it was nothing compared with how much he had hurt Harry.

Feeling empty and cold, Sirius stood and descended the stairs. He tried not to look at James, tried not to face what he had done, but it was impossible. He knelt next to his friend and held his head in his arms.

“James, I’m sorry, I’m … look what I’ve done to you, after all the help and support you gave me this is how I repay you. By causing your … ” the word death stuck in his throat. He couldn’t say it. “Now your son, off to live with those Muggles. I’m sorry. James, forgive me! Forgive me, Lily. I’m … I … ” he felt lost. The weight of emotion was too much; he felt paralysed. And then he thought of Pettigrew. His anger returned.

“I swear, I swear that Pettigrew will pay for what he’s done,” he growled, “If he was scared of what Voldemort might do to him… he’ll soon find out he’s nothing compared to me!” He kissed James’s forehead, stood up and charged out of the house, eyes burning and heart pulsing with hatred … and vengeance.
* * *

Finding Pettigrew was the only thing that filled Sirius' mind. His anger never died -- it was always bubbling at the surface -- but his grief continued to grow. Sometimes he felt completely hollow and empty, and at other times the grief was so intense he felt as though he were going to be crushed by the sheer weight of it. He couldn't prevent himself from dwelling restlessly on his best friend’s death and also about the treatment Harry was receiving at his aunt's and uncle’s home.

He was planning to ask Dumbledore if he could still see Harry, maybe on special occasions like Christmas, to give him at least someone from the wizard world he could talk to. Thoughts of bitterness, guilt, resentment, hatred and grief constantly whirled around his head until he felt dizzy with the confusion. And this was all because of Peter Pettigrew.

It took him less than a day to find where the rat was hiding and followed him not even bothering to keep himself hidden. Let him know he’s being followed, let him know that he hasn’t got away with his treacherous acts. Let him feel fear. Let him panic. Let him get a taste of what Lily and James may have gone through before they died. Sirius felt a certain malicious pleasure every time he saw Pettigrew’s pale face turn and see him following close behind -- he felt like he was siphoning off his grief into that squat chubby traitor.

Eventually, Sirius decided he had messed about for long enough. He gave chase. Peter ran, but being the chubby un-fit animal he was, Sirius soon caught up with him. He could hear his short, sharp intakes of breath he could feel his fear, and he loved it. Reaching out a hand he grasped Pettigrew’s shoulder and whirled him around. Peter’s cheeks were tinged pink after his run, his eyes were wide with fear, Sirius grasped him by the throat and brought him close to his face.

“Thought you could escape me did you, you treacherous little snake? Thought you could outrun me?” he snarled.

“Sirius! I did nothing, nothing at all!” he whined.

“Don’t lie! The only way Voldemort could have found Lily and James was by you betraying them. You’re a murderer. An evil, foul stinking murderer!”

“I didn’t want to Sirius! He made me! You’ve no idea of His powers.” Sirius tightened his grip around Pettigrew’s neck, and he began to choke.

“Liar! You were passing on information to him long before they made you their Secret Keeper. And do you know why they chose you? Because I suggested it. Me! What an idiot I was not to see that you were the traitor. If you were scared of what Voldemort may have done to you if you refused then you reckoned without what I would do to you if you did. You’ll regret the day you uttered those fatal words to the Dark Lord once I’m through with you!”

Throughout this speech, Pettigrew had been slowly drawing out his wand, Sirius noticed it too late. “What’re you…”

“Lily and James, Sirius! How could you betray Lily and James? You murdered them!” screamed Pettigrew.

“What … ” And before he could stop him, Pettigrew aimed his wand at the street behind him and fired a spell.

There was a deafening explosion and screams. Sirius felt Pettigrew slip through his fingers, he had transformed into a rat!

“No!” Quickly he bent down and lunged forward trying to catch him before he got away, but the explosion had sent up a thick, billowing dust cloud, and he couldn’t see anything.

As the dust cloud cleared, Sirius realised that Pettigrew had gone, he had escaped. He felt the anger rising once again and he stood up intending to return home to try to find where Peter had gone. Suddenly, many pairs of hands seized him and held him tight, he felt his wand being wrenched from his grasp. Confused, he blinked through the dust, trying to see what was going on. Dark shadows became clear as the dust began to disperse and he soon realise that he was surrounded by Ministry wizards, all looking grim and determined.

Beyond them was chaos. A huge, deep crater stretched across the street and Muggles were running around, screaming, shouting. Sirens blared and blue lights flashed as police and paramedics rushed to the aid of the injured. Many sported blood-stained gashes on their arms and heads, and bodies lay stretched in a long line as many succumbed to their injuries. Sirius stared at the destruction in horror.

“Sirius Black!” Sirius tore his eyes from the destruction to stare at the speaker. It was Bartemius Crouch, a Ministry worker Sirius had never met but knew by sight as he had become very popular over past years due to his tough methods of tracking down Death Eaters. Hardly a week went by when his face was not in the paper. His face was contorted with disgust as he stared at Sirius.

“We have eye witness evidence that not five minutes ago you brutally destroyed Peter Pettigrew and are also responsible for the killing of twelve innocent Muggles.”

Sirius couldn’t believe it. It was so ludicrous that despite himself he began to laugh.

Crouch’s face contorted and he continued, “You have also been found to have been responsible for the betrayal of James and Lily Potter, which led to their subsequent murders by the Dark Lord.”

At this Sirius stopped laughing. How could Crouch say that? It was Peter -- he had betrayed Lily and James! And then he realised, his heart sinking, that neither he, nor James had told anyone about the change in Secret Keepers. As far as the Ministry were concerned, Sirius had been their Secret Keeper and therefore must have betrayed them. He felt his heart grow cold with fear. This couldn’t be happening!

“Due to the solid nature of the evidence, I therefore sentence you at this very moment to a life sentence in Azkaban.”

“No!” Sirius began to struggle against the arms of the Ministry wizards, desperately trying to escape. They couldn’t do this, he was innocent. Harry would be left alone! “I have the right to a trial. You can not deny me a trial!”

Crouch came right up close to Sirius’s face.

“Scum like you don’t deserve the chance to weasel your way out of punishment. You will go to Azkaban, and may you rot there!” he snarled. As the Ministry wizards began to drag him away, he screamed and struggled, but it was no use. Their grips were too strong, he couldn’t escape. Silently tears began trickling down his cheeks and his heart wilted.
* * *

For most of the journey to Azkaban Sirius simply sat, silent, tears running down his face his heart full of dread and fear, both for himself and for Harry. As they drew closer to the fortress, he felt the influence of the Dementors beginning to creep over him. He felt cold and empty. Then clammy, scaly hands clasped around his forearms. He shivered at the touch. The creeping influence of the Dementors was becoming stronger, he was thrown roughly into a cell. The door clanged shut!

Sirius didn’t move. He stayed staring at the gritty cell floor feeling hollow and cold, trembling. Memories from his childhood flitted across his brain in a confused mass, but more often he saw Harry. Pictures of him suffering at the hands of his Muggle relatives. Crying in Hagrid’s arms. The red scar on his head. His tearful eyes. James lying bleeding and cold at the foot of the stairs. The house destroyed. Lily’s blank eyes staring up at him. Himself urging James to use Peter instead.

His heart felt heavy with the combined emotions. Again he felt the physical crushing pain of grief mingled with the dread and emptiness created by the Dementors. It built up, consuming him, devouring him, smothering him until he was lost in a world of guilt and fear and death. Tears rushed down his face and his body became racked with sobs.

Then it all became too much and he screamed, a loud, long piercing shriek that echoed and reverberated around the fortress and would have brought any passer by to tears had any been within ear shot, but there was none there, none who cared. He was trapped, trapped with these soul sucking fiends for a crime he didn’t commit, alone, guilty, grief-ridden and empty. Empty of all except the memories of the lives he had destroyed.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=2817