Love Behind A Scarlet Veil by Sectumsempra
Summary:


Ginny Weasley wakes up in The Burrow, her seventh year at Hogwarts is not far away. As she dwells on going to school without Ron, Hermione and Harry her heart lurches as she thinks of what she could have had if she'd given Harry a different answer.


Chapter 20 - A Question Without An Answer - has been validated! That marks the end of this story! Enjoy!




Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 20 Completed: Yes Word count: 63434 Read: 81139 Published: 07/26/05 Updated: 04/17/06

1. Chapter One - Reflections by Sectumsempra

2. Chapter Two - Birthday Surprise by Sectumsempra

3. Chapter Three - The Heart of a Hero by Sectumsempra

4. Chapter Four – Escape from Azkaban by Sectumsempra

5. Chapter Five – Return to Hogwarts by Sectumsempra

6. Chapter Six - The Professors Aide by Sectumsempra

7. Chapter Seven - A Family Affair by Sectumsempra

8. Chapter Eight - The Rodent Revelation by Sectumsempra

9. Chapter Nine - Schoolgirl Crush by Sectumsempra

10. Chapter Ten - Extra Lessons by Sectumsempra

11. Chapter Eleven - Fall of the Father by Sectumsempra

12. Chapter Twelve - A Christmas Wish by Sectumsempra

13. Chapter Thirteen - Godric's Hollow by Sectumsempra

14. Chapter Fourteen - Seeking More Than the Snitch by Sectumsempra

15. Chapter Fifteen - Explanations and Aggravations by Sectumsempra

16. Chapter Sixteen - Meeting of the Marauders by Sectumsempra

17. Chapter Seventeen - Dinner at Hogsmeade by Sectumsempra

18. Chapter Eighteen - A Rat’s Tale by Sectumsempra

19. Chapter Nineteen - Amor Vigoratus by Sectumsempra

20. Chapter Twenty - A Question Without An Answer by Sectumsempra

Chapter One - Reflections by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter One - Reflections



"GINNY ARE YOU UP YET?

Ginny Weasley woke with a start, her mothers shrill voice still ringing in her ears, Not again, she groaned, for Mrs Weasley had just interrupted Ginnys dream, which, was once again, was about Harry Potter. Ginny never could get Harry out of her head, but the thoughts and dreams she was having about him were getting more and more painful to her; dreams of things she could have had, but said no to.

Ginny rolled over in her bed, burying her face in her pillow, as her mother shouted for her again, Yes, mum, Im getting up!

With a loud groan, Ginny dragged herself out of bed and headed to her closet, she pulled out the first things she could find and pulled them over her head, realising halfway through that she was trying to put on a pair of trousers over her head she stopped and put them on properly, then grabbed a old t-shirt from the closet and threw it over her head. When she was dressed she headed over to the mirror that hung on her wall, sighing at the sight of herself she picked up a brush and began to comb the tangles out of her long red hair.

Satisfied that she had done all she could do with her hair, Ginny threw the hairbrush down onto her bed, where it bounced off and fell underneath the bed. Muttering to herself Ginny bent down to pick up the hairbrush and saw something shiny glinting at her from further under the bed, lying on her stomach Ginny crawled under the bed and reached out for the shiny article. Ginny crawled back out from under the bed, and looked at the item she had just retrieved, she let out an audible gasp as she recognised the shining silver locket she held in her hand, Harry had given it to her the night before he set out to defeat Voldemort. Tears began to roll down her cheeks as she caressed the locket, she had not seen it in over a year, ever since she threw it under her bed and forgot about it.

Wiping the tears away Ginny put the locket down carefully on her bedside table, and went to leave her room, as she reached the door she turned and looked at the locket one more time, tears springing to her eyes once again as she threw herself down on her bed, sobbing to herself, Why did I let him go? Why did I say no to him? Hell never forgive me, Ive lost him, she wept, she felt totally alone.

Searching for solace, Ginny opened the bottom drawer in her chest of drawers, and reached towards the back, searching, until she laid her hands on what she was looking for, she held in her hands several letters, all unopened, all from the same person. She began to open one when she heard someone coming up the stairs; she hastily shoved the letters back into the drawer and slammed the drawer shut and quickly shoved the locket underneath a pillow. Her bedroom door opened, Ginny Weasley, why are you not up yet!? called her mother, Ginny? Ginny what in heavens name is the matter? Mrs Weasley rushed over to her youngest daughter, concern etched in every line on her kind face.

Ginny looked up, tears still streaming down her face, Oh, Mum, its nothing, really, nothing. Shell never believe that.

Mrs Weasley surveyed her daughter, I dont believe you Ginny, whats the matter dear?

Ive told you , its nothing!

Ginevra Weasley, you are my only daughter, if you think I am going to accept that feeble excuse then you are very much mistaken, now whats the matter?

Ginny hesitated, she did not want to lie to her mother, but she did not want to tell the truth either, eventually she told her a half truth, something that was playing on her mind, but not to the extent which Harry was, Im just upset about it being my last year at Hogwarts. She tried to smile up at her mother, but her muscles just would not let her do it.

Mrs Weasley patted her daughter on the head, and when she spoke again it was in a much more sympathetic tone of voice, I know its a big step to be starting your seventh year at Hogwarts, but there is nothing to fear now once youve left, Voldemort is gone, for good, ever since Harry, her voice trailed off as she caught her daughters eye, and saw the longing there, she took a deep breath and started talking again Ginny, dear, I know how you feel for Harry, but you know why he had to leave, he had to confront Voldemort. Since then, he has had to endure his N.E.W.T exams, and now hes preparing for his Auror training. Im sure he still likes you, but hes a hero, a hero Ginny, hes got no time to himself anymore; trailed everywhere he goes, people treating him like he is some sort of attraction in a zoo, rather than the person who saved us all from Voldemort.

Ginny looked up at her mother, and her lips finally managed a smile, and she made herself hold in more tears, she loved her mum for trying to make it better, but there was so much Mrs Weasley did not know. She did know that Harry had been trying to contact Ginny; she did not know that the reason Harry had not visited the Burrow since Bill and Fleurs wedding was because of how he and Ginny left things.

Hes out of my life, and its all my fault, Ginny thought wistfully to herself.

Now come on dear, up you get, weve got to get to Diagon Alley, weve got lots to buy, I dont know, you, a prefect and now Quidditch captain, were so proud of you. Ron and Hermione are back from their stay at the Grangers and will be meeting us there! Now come on, get a move on!

As Mrs Weasley left the room, Ginny reached underneath her pillow and withdrew the locket, she looked at it, and it bought a smile to her face as she fastened it around her neck. Feeling much better than she did she headed downstairs, shutting her bedroom door behind her.

As she entered the kitchen, she noticed that her mother was not alone there, her brothers Fred, George were there, deep in conversation with a third red headed figure, build like the twins, with a large burn on one arm.

CHARLIE! Ginny cried, running over to him and hugging him. She had not seen her second oldest brother since Bills wedding last year.

Hiya, Gin, he grinned, extracting himself from her hug.

What are you doing here?

Im in the country for a while, we got a report of some escaped Welsh Greens, he paused, noting the look of concern on his sisters face, Dont worry weve caught them all, when youre as talented a dragon handler as me, a few Welsh Greens are no trouble. He flashed a smile her way.

Youre such a big head! teased Ginny, reaching up to tap him on the head as she spoke.

Anyway, said Charlie, ignoring her tapping, Ive got a good month or so left before I have to go back to Romania, so I thought Id stay here, celebrate your birthday with you, maybe come along to Diagon Alley with you.

Ginny smiled, she always got on well with Charlie, him being here had cheered her up no end, she opened her mouth to reply when Mrs Weasley thrust a handful of floo powder into her hand and pushed her into the fireplace.

Hurry, hurry, hurry, she scolded.

Diagon Alley! called Ginny clearly, and she disappeared in a burst of emerald flame.

Ginny felt the familiar spinning sensation as she travelled through the floo network, emerging out of the fireplace in the Leaky Cauldron. No sooner had she stepped out of the fireplace then her vision was obscured by an excitable, shrieking bush of brown hair.

Ginny, how good to see you! cried Hermione Ron! Ron! Shes here, Ron, oh now where has he gone!

Im right here, complained an annoyed Ron from somewhere behind Hermione. Calm down and look properly next time! Hello, Ginny, give me a hug then. Ron flashed a smile Ginnys way and pulled her into a brotherly embrace.

How did you manage with the Muggles? asked Ginny eagerly.

Ron laughed until he saw the acidic look Hermione was giving him, I got into a bit of trouble when I tried to listen to some music, they have these weird shiny things called see-dees, I didnt know you were supposed to put them in a machine to get them to work, honestly, muggles.

Ginny laughed, Ron chuckled some more, even Hermione joined in. The fireplace then burst into life once more as Mrs Weasley, Fred, George and Charlie all appeared behind Ginny, Charlie? What are you doing here? Ron said incredulously.

Charlie sighed, Honestly, do I have to explain to everyone, cant my baby brother just to glad to see me? Charlie rubbed his knuckles on Rons head as he spoke, though he had to reach up to do it.

No time for that now, come on, come on, said Mrs Weasley bossily, pushing them out of the door.

Ginny was having a lot of fun shopping with all her new school things; Fred and George said their goodbyes when they reached Weasleys Wizard Wheezes and headed off to get back to work. Ginny was really enjoying herself with Ron and Hermione, it was great to have Charlie back in the country, even better that he was going to be around on her birthday. As happy as she was though, Ginny could not help but feel sad inside, it just was not the same without Harry.

After visiting Flourish & Blotts to get her new books, as well as Madam Malkins for some new robes, Ginny decided to take advantage when Mrs Weasley announced she was going to have to go to Gringotts to get some more money, Charlie went with her, saying how hed like to see Bill again. As they sat outside Fortescues Ice Cream Parlour she decided she was going to ask the question that had been on her mind since she arrived in Diagon Alley.

Ron, Hermione, I need to ask you something.

Ron and Hermione looked darkly at each other and rapidly started talking about different things, Work is going really well thanks Ginny. Said Ron

Im considering a change of career in all honesty. Said Hermione, an odd expression on her face.

Ginny was taking aback by this, and forgot what she was about to ask, Why Hermione? I thought you enjoyed being a curse breaker?

Oh I do, I just feel like I could do better doing something else.

Like what?

I thought about teaching, I might come up to Hogwarts and talk to McGonagall about it.

Ginny was impressed, but not surprised, she had secretly always thought that Hermione would want a position where she could be the cleverest person there, teaching certainly fulfilled that.

Thats really exciting Hermione. What subject do you want to teach? asked Ginny.

Oh. I was thinking of Transfiguration. It must be a strain on poor Minerva to be Headmistress and still teach Transfiguration. Replied Hermione, absent-mindedly stirring her now-melted ice cream sundae with her spoon.

Too bad youre not teaching this year. I could use a friend at school.

Youve got Luna and Colin, and Dennis. Youre the most popular girl in school, Ginny. Said Ron.

Yeah, but Im going to miss not having you, Hermione or Harry there this year.

Silence descended at the mention of Harry s name and Ginny remembered what she was about to ask, and she opened her mouth before Ron or Hermione could change the subject.

Hows Harry?




A/N - Thanks to my Beta Orlaith! Please R n R. Future Chapters all written and ready to go!
Chapter Two - Birthday Surprise by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter 2 “ Birthday Surprise



Ron and Hermione glanced at each other, a look of dread on their faces, they both knew this was coming, they just didn’t know how to answer it. After a long silence, Hermione cleared her throat and muttered, “Harry’s …fine, Ginny. Nothing to worry about.”

“You’re a terrible liar, Hermione. Ron, tell me the truth, tell me about Harry,” Ginny hissed.

“Well…Ginny, do you remember what Harry was like last year?” asked Ron with a pained expression on his face.

Ginny’s insides contorted when she thought of how Harry treated her last year, “Not really, he didn’t speak to me did he?”

“Oh yeah, sorry, I forgot about that. Well last year, ever since he defeated Voldemort, Harry has been getting more and more withdrawn, more and more focused on catching dark wizards. Well, one dark wizard in particular.”

“Who?”

“Peter Pettigrew.”

“Pettigrew? I thought you’d got him?”

“Nope, he managed to escape right after the fall of Voldemort. Harry’s become obsessed with catching him, it’s like he feels he owes to it to his parents, to Sirius.”

“Don’t you see him outside of work?”

“…Now and again. Last time I was at Grimmauld Place, but its not like old times. Harry’s different, all he wanted to talk about was work, and show me some new spells that he developed. I tried to talk to him about the family, about Quidditch, about you… but he didn’t want to know,” Ron sighed.

I know why that is, thought Ginny to herself, he doesn’t want to know me, so he’s punishing you, I’m so sorry Ron, I’ve cost you your best friend.

“On the other hand,” Ron grinned. “Sometimes, only sometimes mind you, you can catch him at the right time, usually when he’s looking through his old photo album, looking at the photos from the night that he defeated Voldemort, and he has the faintest flicker of a smile on his face. Its in those moments you know that he is the same Harry Potter he was before, he’s just got a lot of his mind.”

Ginny didn’t know what to say; she thought she had an inkling of which photos Harry was smiling at, but she didn’t say anything. Ron and Hermione still didn’t know what happened after those photos were taken.

“Personally, I don’t know what has come over Harry. He’s so caught up in his work and his own spells, last time I saw him he looked like he hadn’t slept in weeks, I miss the old Harry, I miss being able to talk and have a joke with him, he completely ignored his own birthday,” Hermione sighed, looking away. Ginny thought she saw a tear in her eye, and thought to herself.

I just miss Harry.

The rest of the trip around Diagon Alley passed uneventfully, and at five past four they all headed back to the Burrow.

As the days passed, counting down to her 17th birthday party, it seemed that all Ginny could see was happy couples: Mr and Mrs Weasley, Ron and Hermione, Bill and his wife, Fleur, who had tied the knot at the Burrow the previous summer. That had been a happy day, but a sad one for Ginny, as that was the last time she had seen Harry properly, and even then he wouldn’t speak to her alone. He carried on ignoring her and hiding from her for the rest of the year.

Ginny had hoped against hope that Ron and Hermione would have good news about Harry. But all they had done was confirm what she had dreaded: he had become withdrawn, his confidence in his friends was lost, and she knew why.

“I should have said yes,” she spoke to herself.

As August 11th came nearer, Ginny looked forward to, and dreaded in equal measure, her coming of age party. On one hand, she’d be legal to do magic outside of school, she could learn to Apparate, she’d be made a fuss off, which she enjoyed, and she’d been promised lots of presents from her family. However, the only person she wanted fussing over her, was the same person who would be the best present of all.

Ginny cried herself to sleep that night.

Ginny woke with a fright the next morning, a huge CRACK seemed to fill her room, and her brothers, Fred and George, appeared out of nowhere.

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY GINNY!” the twins shouted in unison.

Ginny groaned, “Oh leave me alone. I want a lay in.”

“You’ve had a lay in, Birthday Girl. Now come along!” said Fred, and with that the twins grabbed Ginny under the arms and started to drag her downstairs, she was still wearing her pyjamas.

Ginny was squealing as her older brothers dragged her towards the stairs, they were tickling her as they were dragging. “WAIT! WAIT!” she giggled. “I need to get something first.” She reached to her drawer and grabbed her locket, and she threw it on. “Okay carrying on dragging.” She grinned.

“Yes, Miss!” joked the twins, giving her a salute and dragged her downstairs.

The Weasley kitchen was a sea of people. All her brothers were there, she was glad to see Percy, who had returned to the family the previous summer, following Voldemort’s defeat. She was also very glad to see Remus Lupin, who had looked much worse last time she had saw him, the werewolves he was spying on before the fall of Voldemort had found out he was working against them, and had beaten him to within an inch of death; it was only because of Ginny, Ron and Hermione, who happened to be in the right place at the right time, that Lupin had been found alive, and was able to make a full recovery.

“Remus,” she ran towards him, and hugged him a little too enthusiastically, “How are you?”

Lupin removed himself from Ginny’s grasp, panting slightly he replied, “I’m fine thanks Ginny, and how are you? Coming of age eh? I guess that makes you the last one.”

Ginny smiled at him and turned her attention to Mrs Weasley, who was having words with Fred and George, “Mum, what’s the matter? Where’s dad?” she asked, just noticing that Mr Weasley wasn’t anywhere to be seen.

Mrs Weasley’s expression instantly turned from anger to a huge smile, as she rushed towards Ginny and began smothering her with hugs and kisses, “Oh your father had to pop into work today, he’ll be back later.”

Over her shoulder, Ginny saw Fred and George wink at her and then huddle together, they were obviously planning something. Ginny smiled at the thought of it, Fred and George always managed to do something outrageous at family occasions like this. Ginny hoped that whatever it was would not ruin the day.

After a long and boring lecture from Percy about international regulations on magic lamps, and a chat with Charlie about being made Quidditch captain Ginny sat down on the floor by a large pile of presents. Soon enough Ginny was sitting amongst a huge pile of presents, including spell books, sweets, jokes from the twins joke shop, and the new Cleansweep broomstick from her parents, until there was only one present left, from Bill and Fleur. She tore it open to find a scaly dark green jacket, “That’s pure dragon skin Ginny. Happy Birthday.” Said Bill.

“Eet weel look very good wiz your ‘air Ginny.” Fleur smiled, admiring Ginny’s long red hair.

“Wow thanks Bill! Thanks Fleur!” shouted Ginny as she pulled on the jacket over her pyjamas, “I’m going to go and get dressed properly, I might scrub up well enough to do this justice.”

Ginny headed upstairs and tried on the jacket again, Fleur was right; it did look good with her long scarlet hair. Ginny decided to take her time getting ready and she amused herself by summoning her clothes to her by magic, it felt good to be allowed to do magic outside of Hogwarts.

When she returned fully dressed the party was in full swing and some more people had arrived; Mr Weasley had appeared at half past four in the afternoon, apologising profusely for having to go into work on her birthday, and he handed Ginny a heavy package, wrapped in brown paper, she opened it to find a copy of ‘A beginners guide to Apparating” inside. Luna Lovegood and Colin Creevy, two of Ginny’s friends at Hogwarts had also arrived, wishing Ginny a happy birthday. Colin explained that Dennis had been unable to make it, due to an unfortunate accident involving a straw and a large amount of pudding.

After a big lunch including lots of cake and ice cream, Fred and George entertained the guests with an enormous display of fireworks and muggle magic tricks, during which Mr Weasley got thoroughly over excited when George asked him to pick a card he had to step out of the room.

After the guests had left and it was only the Weasley family, Hermione, and Lupin who remained at the Burrow, talking about Ginny’s last year at Hogwarts, and how Ron was doing at work when the fireplace suddenly erupted into a roaring green flame. Ginny gave a little yelp and moved away, it had made her jump, she had been sitting in front of the fireplace at the time. Then, as quickly as it burst into flame, the flames died away, the fireplace returning to normal.

“Interesting.” Said Fred.

“Very.” Agreed George.

Mr Weasley got up and walked over to the fireplace, examining it, “It looks like someone was going to come through, but thought better of it. How very odd.”

“Well,” Percy cleared his throat and began to speak, “this is exactly the sort of thing that there is too much off these days, we don’t need people wasting floo powder like that. Totally irresponsible. What if one of us had wanted to use the fireplace at that exact moment?”

Fred and George rolled their eyes, “Oh shut up Perce,” they said in unison, “Come on Ginny, let’s go play Quidditch, test out your new Cleansweep. Ron, Charlie and Bill can play as well. Right fellow Weasleys?”

“Yeah I suppose I could stand to show Ginny what a real captain can do.” Grinned Charlie, winking at Ginny.

Ginny laughed, “Bring it old on man.”

“Speaking of old men,” said Ron, “come on Bill, get a move on.”

“Hang on, hang on. I’ll show you young whippersnappers what for!” laughed Bill, and he got to his feet, pulling Fleur with him.

Ginny, Ron, Fred, George, Charlie, Bill, Hermione, Fleur, Lupin, Percy and Mr Weasley all headed out to garden, Hermione and Fleur sat down in a couple of chairs that Bill conjured for them, and began to talk amongst themselves whilst the others split into two teams, Ginny, Charlie and Bill were one team, Ron, Fred and George making up the other team.

They could not play with Bludgers or a Golden Snitch as they were liable to escape, so instead they all played chaser, with Bill in goal for one team, and Ron in goal for the other.

“Well played Ginny!” shouted Bill from the goal hoops as she scored her fourth goal, she beamed, Ron on the other hand was looking murderous.

“Come on Ron you can do better than that! Stop waving your arms around like a fairy and catch the ball!” teased Fred and George, “Didn’t you win the Quidditch cup three times as the Gryffindor keeper?”

“Shut up!” yelled Ron, his ears turning pink.

“Well he didn’t need to save many goals then, I was on the team, and I scored more than he saved.” Said Ginny, sticking her tongue out at Ron, everyone laughed, and continued playing, until an ear-piercing scream cut through the growing darkness.

“That was Mum, we better go and see what’s happened.” Said Charlie anxiously, already flying towards the ground.

The Weasley’s, Hermione, Fleur and Lupin all ran back towards the house to find Mrs Weasley as white as a sheet and pointing at a figure who had just appeared in the living room. A figure with messy black hair, shocking green eyes, and an all too familiar scar on his forehead. Ginny stared in shock as she spoke his name.

“…Harry.”



A/N - Thats it for Chapter 2, please R n R. Thanks to my Beta Orlaith!
Chapter Three - The Heart of a Hero by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter 3 “ The Heart of the Hero



Minutes, though it could easily have been hours, passed before anybody spoke. Harry’s vivid green eyes were fixed on Ginny. Her big brown eyes were fixed on him. Everyone else’s eyes were flicking between the two of them.

It was Mrs Weasley who spoke first, “Oh, Harry how we’ve missed you!” she cried, pulling him into a motherly hug, then releasing him, “Where have you been? What do you think you’ve been doing? Working too hard to come and see us!” she scolded him, but had a beaming smile on her face as she did it.

Harry shifted uncomfortably. “Sorry, Mrs Weasley, its good to see you.”

No-one else had spoken; Hermione and Ron stared on in shock, Charlie looked on with interest, Mr Weasley seemed stuck for words, even Fred and George were too stunned to speak.

It was not until Bill moved towards Harry with a hand extended, that anyone spoke, “How are you doing, Harry? We haven’t seen you since the wedding.”

Harry shook Bill’s hand and replied, “I’m fine thanks, Bill, and yourself?”

“Fine, fine thanks, now that the scarring has cleared up. I still can’t seem to eat enough raw steak though,” Bill replied, licking his lips at the idea and smiling. Fleur looked on at her husband and beamed. She always did think that Mrs Weasley overcooked her meat anyway.

Slowly but surely, people were talking again, Fred and George began chatting to Harry about their plans for the joke shop, even though Harry was talking and joking with them, his eyes stayed locked on Ginny.

“Harry, how wonderful to see you. How are you getting on at the Auror office? Ron hasn’t told us much,” said Mr Weasley, shaking Harry’s hand enthusiastically.

“Its fine Mr Weasley, I’m really enjoying it.”

“’Arry! Eet ‘as been too long. I ‘ope you are not working too ‘ard?” said Fleur, as she swooped down on Harry and kissed him on the cheek.

Harry looked slightly uncomfortable at this and quickly backed away, “I’m fine, Fleur, thanks.”

“Gabrielle ‘as done nuzthing but speak about you since the wedding last year.”

“Give him some room Fleur, come on, out of the way.” Said Bill, smiling at Harry as he moved Fleur out of the way.

Lupin, Percy and Charlie all greeted Harry; Lupin was especially glad to see him, they talked like old friends, like brothers, and for the first time since he arrived, Harry’s eyes left Ginny.

Harry turned from Lupin and found himself face to face with Ron, Ginny knew things between them were strained, but as they approached each other, Harry’s face burst into a smile, the first time it had done so in a long time, Ginny suspected.

“Great to see you mate,” Ron said to Harry, pulling him into a one armed hug. Ginny could feel it in the air; all of the tension between the two friends disappeared, and they were once again Harry Potter and Ron Weasley - best friends.

“You too Ron, it’s been too long,” Harry said solemnly. “Where’s Hermione?”

Hermione had been standing next to Ginny. She was also too stunned to speak, but when Harry saw her and met her gaze, she ran towards him and embraced him. “Harry, it’s fantastic to see you. We didn’t think you’d come.” She pulled away from him, her eyes brimming with tears, and she turned to Ron and he took her in his arms and held her tight.

Then it happened, Harry broke away from Ron, and his eyes found Ginny again. “Sorry I’m late, Ginny.”

Silence rang through the room louder than anything else that night. Ginny continued to stare at Harry. She could not believe that he was standing in front of her, on her birthday. Mrs Weasley looked from Harry, to Ginny, and back again; understanding gradually dawned upon her face, “Maybe we should give you some space,” she said kindly “Everybody upstairs or outside…NOW!”

Ron, Hermione, Fred, George, Charlie and Bill went into the garden and began to play Quidditch again, with Hermione taking Ginny’s place. Percy ran upstairs to his bedroom, muttering something about floo powder. Mr and Mrs Weasley headed upstairs. Lupin looked at them both and said his goodbyes, shaking Harry’s hand once again, and then he Disapparated. It was just the two of them now, alone together on her birthday.

They stood there in silence, staring at each other, neither saying anything; Harry shifted his gaze and seemed to become very interested in his feet. Ginny continued to stare at him, and then found her voice once more, “Harry?” she whispered softly, moving towards him. “Are you okay?”

He looked up, and to Ginny’s surprise she saw that there were tears falling silently down his face. “Harry what’s wrong?”

Harry wiped the tears from his eyes, and looked deep into her eyes, “I didn’t know whether to come here or not. I thought about it for hours.”

“It was you. You were going to come through the fire weren’t you?” asked Ginny.

Harry nodded, and continued talking, “I always wondered what would happen if I came here tonight, if I forgave you. I don’t think I can forgive you, but I still want to be in your life, I’d rather be your friend than nothing at all. But I need to know Ginny, why did you refuse to marry me?”

“Harry I…” Ginny trailed off, realising she didn’t have a proper reason. She’d always told herself that she said no because she didn’t want to be tied down at a young age, but this was Harry Potter, this wasn’t any old person. This was the man she had loved since she first saw him. The truth was, she was scared.

“I was scared, Harry, scared of losing you. I knew that the remaining Death Eaters would be hunting you. I couldn’t bear to lose you.”

“You broke my heart Ginny. I loved you, and you knew I loved you. I could have protected you. You would have been safe!” Harry was starting to get worked up now. Here he was, pouring out his soul to her, and she was giving him rubbish about being scared.

“Harry James Potter!” roared Ginny “I loved you from the moment I saw you! Did you never think that maybe I was just as upset as you were? I waited for you, I wished for you!”

“Why didn’t you answer any of my letters, I thought you wanted nothing to do with me!” Harry was getting angrier and angrier. Ginny knew she had to calm him down, he had a fierce temper, and she did not want it vented on her.

“You practically ignored me for the whole of last year, you talked to me when you had to. You took shortcuts at school to avoid me! So how dare you shout at me for not answering your letters! There were things I had to say that couldn’t be said in a letter, you must understand that Harry, I never meant to hurt you,” Ginny pleaded.

Harry paced back and forth, letting her words sink in, he turned and opened his mouth to reply when something caught his eye and his expression softened.

“You’re wearing the locket,” Harry murmured, noticing the chain around her neck. It suddenly struck Harry just how beautiful Ginny was; she seemed to have grown even more beautiful since he last saw her. Behind her veil of scarlet hair, was a kind, loving face and warmth seemed to radiate from her eyes. At that moment Harry wished more than anything to hold her in his arms and kiss her soft, full lips once again.

“Of course I am,” Ginny snapped, still angry that he was mad at her, but she couldn’t tell him that she had left the locket untouched and forgotten under her bed over a year because it hurt her too much to look at it. Now she wished she had worn it always, it offered her comfort.

Harry realised that he couldn’t be mad at Ginny, she had her reasons for turning him down, Harry was just glad to be around her again. “I’ve got something for you,” he reached inside his cloak and withdrew two packages; one small and flat, the other slighter larger and a little thicker. “Here, open them when I’ve gone.” And he passed the packages into Ginny’s hands.

Ginny was touched, she was not even expecting to see him here, let alone receive any gifts from him. It was only when she snapped out of her thoughts, that she saw Harry had walked to the fireplace and taken a handful of floo powder.

“Harry…wait!” She ran towards the fireplace, “You’re not going already?”

“Sorry, Ginny, I’ve got a lot of work to do. You take care of yourself.” he said, giving her a flicker of a smile.

Tears were beginning to well up in her eyes, “I’ve missed you, Harry.”

“I’ve missed you too. I’ll see you soon, Ginny, I promise.” And he stepped into the fireplace and threw the floo powder to the floor, causing the familiar emerald flames to roar up around him. The last thing Ginny saw of him before he spun out of sight was a smile as he clearly spoke the words, “Grimmauld Place!”

Ginny slumped down to the floor as he disappeared; what was he doing to her? He showed up unannounced, took her heart, and then left with it. She felt utterly miserable as she looked down at the packages in her hands. She opened the larger of the two first, inside was an old notebook. Ginny opened the book, it seemed that the notebook was one of Harry’s, he had written down a number of spells that Ginny assumed he had created in it, and poetry he had written about Ginny; touched, she put the notebook to one side, and picked up the smaller package. There was a note attached to it. Ginny wiped the tears out of her eyes and began to read the note.

Ginny,

I’m sorry I can’t stay and celebrate your birthday. I said to myself beforehand that I would only pop in for a quick visit. It’s been too hectic with work and everything, that’s why I arrived late; I’ve just been too busy lately.

I hope this will make you think of happier times.

Love

Your friend

Harry.


Ginny felt her heart sink. She knew he was lying,

Ron got the time off of work, why couldn’t Harry? she thought to herself, her temper rising. She felt herself getting angrier and angrier as she thought about it; then she re-read the note, and felt her heart sink even further, for the words he had used at the end of the note were more upsetting than him not talking to her for a year. He had signed the note: ‘Your friend’.

’Your friend’ . Friend, is that all he thinks of me as now? thought Ginny. It’s better than nothing, at least he’s thinking of you, said another voice inside her head.

She took several deep breaths; at least he was thinking of her. She picked up the package, which had lain forgotten, while she contemplated the note and unwrapped it. An ornate silver frame fell out into her lap, she turned it over and the tears welled up in her eyes finally managed to escape when she saw the picture in the frame. It was a picture of Harry and Ginny together, taken on the night that Voldemort was vanquished, they were definitely happier times. Ginny smiled through her tears as the couple in picture hugged and kissed each other.

Ginny sat in silence, looking at the picture of her and Harry, and casting an eye over the notebook he had given her when she was rudely interrupted by the others returning from the garden, muddy from Quidditch. Ginny quickly said her goodbyes, before she headed upstairs to her room. As she pushed open her bedroom door, she saw Mrs Weasley waiting for her, arms outstretched, an understanding expression on her face. Ginny fell into her mother’s arms, and tears fell down her face again.

“I still love him, mum.”

“I know dear, I know.”




A/N - I really like this Chapter, Kind of how I percieve Harry. Chapter 4 should be on its way soon! Thanks to my Beta, Orlaith, for helping me out.
Chapter Four – Escape from Azkaban by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Four “ Escape from Azkaban



Rain fell as lightning cracked through the sky. The bright blue light illuminated the wizard prison of Azkaban.

If it wasn’t such a terrible place it would look quite picturesque thought the hooded figure who now approached the prison. The rocks on which the prison castle stood were green and eroded where the sea battered them. The salty smell of the ocean only served to add to the repulsive nature of the place.

Azkaban had always had a fearsome reputation which, although it improved slightly when the Dementors left to join Voldemort it still was not a place you would want to be spending a Friday night; especially when you’d come here to help someone get out.

The hooded figure remained lost in its thoughts until they came across a guard standing at the front gate. “Lucius Malfoy.”

The guard nodded his head. “Come with me.” And he led the hooded figure through a series of corridors in the dark, dank prison, where ghosts of ex inmates remained to terrorise the living; and where the stench of death lurked at every corner.

The guard came to a stop in front a cell and took a key from inside his robes. Without saying a word he placed the key in the lock on the door and with a click, the door opened.

The hooded figure stepped inside the cell, eyes struggling to see through the darkness, they could see the outline of a man sitting in the corner of the cell. “Leave us,” the hooded figure commanded to the guard; the guard nodded and left the cell, closing the door behind him.

As soon as the guard had left the room the hooded figure reached inside their cloak and withdrew a wand, “Lumos” the figure whispered, and bright light glowed from the end of the wand, illuminating the man sitting in the corner.

“Lucius, do get up off of the floor, it’s no place for you,” Said the hooded figure, pulling back their hood.

Lucius gasped at the tall, slim woman he saw in front of him. Her long blonde hair framed her pale, pointed face. She stood with the air of someone who thought herself superior to the rest of the world. Her pale grey eyes were fixed upon him, her thin lips curving into a smile. “Narcissa,” Lucius drawled, as he got to his feet, “To what do I owe the pleasure?”

Narcissa was shocked to see how ragged her husband had become since her last visit. He had been in Azkaban over two years now, and it was beginning to show. His hair, once long and blonde like hers, had become matted and dark with dirt.

Narcissa ran towards her husband and embraced him.

“Lucius, my love. Now it not the time for talking.” She reached inside her robes and withdrew a wand. “Take this, it is time you were leaving this place.”

Lucius looked at his wife with a questioning expression, had she gone mad? “Narcissa, what exactly are you doing? You do know we are surrounded by Ministry of Magic workers. The odds of us getting out of here alive should we try and fight our way out, are slim at best.”

“Trust me Lucius. I have thought this through, I’ve had help planning this, and we will escape without a problem.”

Lucius fingered the wand in his hands; it had been a long time since he had been in possession of a wand. “Help from whom?”

“It is not the time for questions, do you want to get out of this place or not?”

“Of course. It’s pointless to even ask that question.”

“Then stop questioning me and listen!”

Lucius began to argue back, but fell silent, and nodded his head instead.

“That’s better. Now I am going to call for the guard, he is going to come and unlock the door, as soon as he does, take him. I would do it myself, but the Imperius Curse always was your speciality.”

Lucius readied himself as his wife approached the door. “Guard, I’m ready to leave now.” Narcissa called in a casual tone.

“Yes madam.” Said the guard’s deep, throaty voice from the other side of the door. You could hear the jingling of the keys as he searched for the one to the cell.

Lucius pointed his wand at the door and as soon as it opened and the guard came into view he spoke the words, “IMPERIO!

The keys the guard had been holding fell to the floor as his arms hung limply by his sides. An expression of peace and serenity crossed his face.

“Now what, Narcissa?” Lucius asked, with a cruel smile on his face, it had been a long time since he had this control over someone; he had forgotten how much he liked it.

Narcissa crouched down and picked up the keys, “Follow me, and make sure he comes with us,” she replied, gesturing at the guard.

Narcissa led the way through the twisting corridors of Azkaban, with Lucius behind her, and the guard following him, arms still hanging limply by his sides.

“Narcissa?”

“What?” came the snappy reply.

“How is it you know exactly where to go through this place? You’re travelling as if you’re one of the guards.”

“I told you, I’ve had a little help planning this.”

“Who…” Lucius started, before Narcissa held up a hand to stop him.

“I have told you, this is not the time. When we are safely out of here, I shall tell you everything. For now, let’s just concentrate of getting to Draco.”

Lucius stumbled in shock. Narcissa was not only trying to break him out of Azkaban, she was attempting to break Draco out as well? She must have lost her mind.

They continued to dash through the corridors and passageways of Azkaban until they finally arrived at a cell.

“Here,” Narcissa spoke. “He is in here.”

Lucius turned the to the guard. “Open it,” he commanded, passing the keys to the guard, who promptly placed the key into the lock, opening the door to the cell.

As Lucius peered inside the dank cell, he let out an audible gasp at the sight of the person before him. Draco Malfoy was no longer a boy; Azkaban had ravaged his once youthful face, leaving it grey and gaunt, his eyes had become sunken and bloodshot. It was none of these things that bothered Lucius though, it was the fact that Draco was smiling. His smile becoming wider and wider as stood looking at his mother.

“Oh, Draco,” cried Narcissa, as she ran towards him; she had not visited Draco in quite some time. She took him in her arms and held him tight. “I’ve missed you so much.”

“Stop!” Draco demanded, pushing her away roughly. “What are you doing here? What do you want?”

“I’ve come to take you home. Please, Draco, I’m still your mother.”

Draco snorted. “And what use is a mother here? I have no need for…” he paused, noticing his father for the first time. “Well, well, look who it is - it’s father,” sarcasm evident in his voice as he pushed past his mother, and strode to where Lucius was standing.

Lucius looked at the man in front of him; he was barely recognisable as a human, let alone Lucius’ son. “Draco, if you would rather stay here then by all means do. Come Narcissa, we’re leaving.” And he turned to leave the cell, “But before we leave, Draco, your mother has a surprise for you. Give the boy his gift Narcissa.”

Draco’s sunken eyes grew wider as his mother reached into her robes and withdraw a wand, hesitating slightly before she handed it to him.

The maniacal smile that had been getting ever larger grew, even bigger as Draco examined the wand. Suddenly, without warning he turned the wand on the guard, who was still standing obediently to the right of Lucius, “AVADA KEDAVRA!” Draco bellowed, as a flash of green light shot from the end of his wand, straight into the chest of the guard.

“WHAT DID YOU DO THAT FOR? HE WAS OUR WAY OUT OF HERE!” Lucius yelled at Draco, as the guard slumped to the floor dead. Narcissa looked on in shock.

Draco laughed. “Oh come on father, like you weren’t hoping for a little action on the way out of here. It’ll be easy for us; we’re in here for a reason. In case you had forgotten, you are one of the most notorious Death Eaters ever captured.”

Lucius smiled as he remembered what it was like to be a Death Eater; the feeling of superiority as they worked to cleanse the wizard world of half-bloods and Mudbloods. “Be that as it may, Draco, but what about you?”

Draco laughed again, “Oh, mum, you didn’t tell him, did you? I killed Mad-Eye Moody and Kingsley Shacklebolt. It was me who revealed to the Dark Lord just what Severus Snape was up to. I can handle myself, I assure you.”

Narcissa could feel the tension between father and son. “Look, let’s compare records when we’re out of here. Let’s go!”

No sooner had those words escaped Narcissa’s mouth, than the sound of approaching footsteps were upon them as another guard drew near. The footsteps grew closer and closer and the Malfoys heard a loud hissing sound as the guard came to a halt by the open door of Draco’s cell. A shocked expression spread across his face as he found himself face-to-face with the Malfoy family, all of whom had their wands pointed at him.

The guard crumpled to the floor as the life rushed out of him in a burst of green light. Narcissa quickly raised her hood, covering her face once again.

“RUN!” yelled Lucius, as the Malfoys exited the cell.

The three Malfoys broke into a sprint and for a moment were alone in running through the prisons corridors. The sound of footsteps filled the air, as the whole of the Azkaban guard force descended upon them.

Flashes of light illuminated the entire prison as the guards did whatever was necessary to capture the Malfoys. Narcissa had just deflected a stunning spell from when she reached inside her robes, withdrawing a small packet of powder, and an old, severed hand holding a candle.

“The Hand of Glory!” shouted Draco, as he fought off three guards as once, “Throw the powder mother, hurry!”

Narcisssa reached into the packet and grabbed a handful of powder, she threw it up into the air and Azkaban was plunged into utter darkness. “Come on, let’s go,” she said, as she grabbed hold of Lucius’ robes.

Using the Hand of Glory to light their way, the Malfoys found the exit to Azkaban with no trouble, as the guards all flailed pointlessly in darkness. With a last burst of energy the Malfoy family emerged from Azkaban, and stood panting in the moonlight.

Draco let out a loud cheer and paced back and forth, letting the feeling of being free wash over him. “Well done mother, father.”

Lucius looked at his son, “It seems I misjudged you, Draco, you are indeed very capable. Although, it was your fault we had to fight our way out in the first place!”

Draco raised his wand at his father, Lucius raised his wand at his son, Narcissa stood between them. “Stop it, stop it the both of you! I didn’t risk everything to get you out so that you could kill each other!”

The Malfoy men lowered their wands, and glowered at each other.

“That’s better,” said Narcissa, “Now you two will have to hide out for a little while, because I dare say that the Ministry will be all over our house until they are satisfied that you are not there. I suggest that you search for somewhere suitable, because if you are caught, I will not save you again.” With that Narcissa turned on the spot and Disapparated, leaving father and son alone together.

It was Lucius who spoke first, “We had better leave this place, Draco.”

Draco nodded. “I know of a place we can hide out, come, father. Let’s go.”

Lucius and Draco both turned on the spot, and disappeared, just as the lights came back on in Azkaban.




A/N - Thanks to my beta Orlaith. Hope you enjoyed this chapter, i see this as the point where the story really gets going!
Chapter Five – Return to Hogwarts by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.




Chapter Five “ Return to Hogwarts



Ginny Weasley woke with the same nervous excitement bubbling in her stomach that she had woken up with every day since her birthday. Seeing Harry had been electric, it had made her feel alive.

Not alive enough to warrant me getting up yet. Ginny thought to herself as she buried her head in her pillows and started to drift back to sleep, images of herself being held by Harry swam through her head, filling her body with a warm feeling.

“Come on Ginny, are you packed yet?” called a voice from downstairs.

Ginny’s eyes snapped open and she squinted as light hit her pupils. She leapt out of bed; her long hair whipping around her face as she did. Her thoughts of Harry had made her completely forget what day it was; she was returning to Hogwarts today. As she got up Ginny reached under her pillow and grabbed the locket, and quickly fastened it around her neck.

Ginny hurriedly pulled on her clothes and brushed her hair, before opening the large trunk at the end of her bed. The trunk was already half full of spell books, potion ingredients and various other bits and pieces. Ginny threw her robes, wand and broomstick into the trunk and slammed it shut. With a loud grunt, Ginny pulled her trunk out of her room and down the stairs to the kitchen.

The smell of bacon and eggs filled her nostrils as Ginny entered the kitchen, dragging her heavy trunk behind her. Mrs Weasley was busy cooking; she was the only one in the kitchen.

“Mum, where is everybody else?” Asked Ginny, dropping her trunk as she spoke.

Mrs Weasley jumped at the sound of the trunk hitting the floor and turned to face Ginny, clutching a hand to her chest. “Ginny! You gave me quite a fright.” She took a deep breath before talking again. “Bill, Percy, Fred and George are all at work. You know that Charlie had to go back to Romania a week ago. Ron and Hermione are waiting outside.”

“They’re coming with us?”

“Change of plan Ginny dear, they are taking you to the platform. I have to go into the Ministry to see your father; he’s messing about with some Muggle invention and needs his screwdrivers? I think that’s what they are called. Enough questions, have some breakfast, big day today!”

Ginny helped herself to a large plate of eggs and bacon, and plenty of toast. Once she had finished, she helped Mrs Weasley tidy up and took hold of her trunk.

As she struggled to heave her trunk out to the Ministry car that Mr Weasley had arranged to take her to Kings Cross station, Ginny suddenly remembered that she had forgotten to pack something. She dropped her trunk to the floor and ran back into the house, straight past a bemused Mrs Weasley, who shook her head and muttered, “Every year someone forgets something.” Ginny burst through her bedroom door and scooped up the picture of her and Harry, which had been standing by her bedside, and ran back to the car. Throwing open her trunk she carefully wrapped the picture in a robe and closed the trunk lid.

Ginny was in the middle of trying to wrestle her trunk into the back of the car when she saw Ron and Hermione walking towards her, hand in hand. Ginny felt a twinge of sadness as she imagined herself and Harry doing that.

“Need a hand Ginny?” said Ron, smirking at her.

“Oh no, it’s no trouble at all,” snapped Ginny. “Stop asking stupid questions and pick up the other end.” Ron did as he was told and between the two of them they managed to get the heavy trunk into the car boot.

Panting slightly, Ginny headed back to the house to say goodbye to her mother.

“Bye, mum, wish you were coming with me,” said Ginny, as she hugged Mrs Weasley.

“Don’t be upset, Ginny, you’ll be home at Christmas, so will everyone else, even Charlie!”

Ginny let go of her mum and smiled at her. Christmas seemed a long way away. Without another word, Ginny kissed her mother goodbye and climbed into the car next to Ron and Hermione.

On the journey to Kings Cross Station, Ginny had to keep herself from asking about Harry; where he was? What he was doing? Had he mentioned her? As she opened her mouth to ask, Hermione interrupted her.

“Harry wishes you good luck, you know”

Ginny felt her face going red, had she been that obvious?

“Why couldn’t he make it today? I thought he’d have come with you?” She tried, unsuccessfully, to mask the disappointment in her voice.

Hermione opened her mouth but no words came out, it was Ron who spoke instead, “Ginny, you’ve got to understand, when Harry showed up at your party, neither of us knew he was going to be there.”

“But…”

“Don’t interrupt, just listen. At your party that was the most cheerful I’ve seen Harry in a long, long time.” Hermione nodded in agreement, “It will take a while to be as close as we were. We work together, but it’s not been the same.”

“That didn’t answer my question.”

“Ginny, Harry didn’t come because he’s probably doing what he is always doing lately, looking and listening for Peter Pettigrew,” sighed Ron “It’s all he thinks about - it’s an obsession, like I said in Diagon Alley. He feels like he needs to catch Pettigrew before he can make peace with his parents and Sirius’ deaths. There’s no talking to him about it, it’s just something he has to do.”

Deciding not to pursue the matter any further Ginny thought she’d have a look at the old notebook that Harry had given her for her birthday.

“What’s that Ginny?” asked Hermione, eyeing the book with interest.

“Its just a book that Harry gave me for my birthday. Its got some spells in it, ones I think that he has made up himself.” Ginny decided to keep the fact that the book also contained poetry to herself.

“Wow, that’s quite the present,” admired Ron. “I’ve seen him do some of his own spells, its amazing; he’s doing things with a wand that I’ve never seen before. If he has given you those spells to learn, I’d learn them, because you’re the only one who has ever had that chance.”

“You mean he’s never showed you these spells?”

“He’s showed me them sure. He uses some of them at work, but he hasn’t taught me them, Harry is a master at non-verbal spells now, its impossible to know how he is casting the spells. He didn’t get Outstanding on all his N.E.W.Ts for nothing you know.”

Ginny noticed the look of hurt in Hermione’s eyes as Ron uttered those words, Ginny knew that Hermione had been disappointed as she had only received eleven Outstanding grades, and had received one Exceeds Expectation grade on her N.E.W.Ts.

The rest of the journey passed in silence broken by the occasional giggle as Ron and Hermione cuddled up to each other. Ginny was busied herself by studying the notebook, the spells were fascinating. Ginny read some of the poetry, but it was making her feel sad to read it, so she stuck to the spells instead.

When they arrived at Kings Cross station, Ron and Ginny took her trunk out of the boot of the car, which promptly sped off back towards the Ministry of Magic.

Ginny, Ron and Hermione immediately headed to Platform 9 ¾. Upon crossing the magical barrier to the platform, Ginny laid eyes on the magnificent scarlet Hogwarts Express.

“It’s weird to be here and not to be getting on the train,” Ron said, looking longingly at the train, which was now billowing smoke.

“You better get on board, Ginny,” Said Hermione, giving Ginny a hand with her trunk.

Ginny was just about to say her goodbyes when she saw a large silver blur behind Ron. As she stared at it, the blur slowly formed it the shape of a stag, causing onlookers to gasp in shock and awe. Ginny noticed Ron’s eyes widening at the sight of it, and he drew his own wand and a burst of silver light shot of out the end, forming the shape of a small dog, which disappeared with the stag.

“I’ve got to go, Ginny. Good luck at school. I’ll see you at Christmas ok?” Ron said, giving Ginny a hug.

“Wait, Ron, that Stag. Harry. What? Patronus. Where are you going?” Ginny spluttered.

Before she could manage to string the words together to make a proper sentence, Ron had kissed Hermione goodbye and disappeared.

Ginny turned to Hermione, looking for some hint as to what was going on; unfortunately Hermione was looking at Ginny exactly the same way.

“Auror business, I imagine.” She smiled at Ginny.

“Hermione, you know as well as I do that that stag belongs to Harry. Why is he contacting Ron in that way? We haven’t used Patronus’ since the fall of Voldemort.”

Hermione looked at her, a worried expression on her face, and Ginny suddenly realised that she was as worried about Ron as Ginny was about Harry.

“I wish I knew, Ginny. I do. If Harry is using his Patronus then there must be something he needs to talk to Ron about alone. Look, Ginny, try not to worry about it. Just think about the wonderful time you’re going to have at school. Right then, I should get going as well, the Goblins don’t take kindly to lateness.”

Hermione gave Ginny a hug and then headed back towards the barrier taking her back to platform 9 ¾, her bushy hair billowing out behind her.

Ginny sighed, she was getting used to being left alone. She dragged her trunk onto the train and then headed to the Prefects carriage to commence her duties.

After completing her prefect duties, which including telling off several second years for practising inappropriate charms on a chocolate frog, Ginny finally settled down in a carriage with her friends Colin Creevy, his brother Dennis, and Luna Lovegood.

“Hi, Colin, Dennis, Luna,” she said greeting each of them in turn.

All three answered at once, “Hi, Ginny!”

“I thoroughly enjoyed your birthday party Ginny. I thought that Harry might have been there though,” said Luna dreamily, her mad eyes gazing at Ginny.

Ginny could feel herself going bright red and concentrated as hard as possible to fight it off. Luna was very good at accidentally saying things that were uncomfortably honest. “Oh. Well, you know, Luna, he was probably busy with work.”

“I still don’t see why he was so rude to you last year, Ginny,” Colin piped up.

“He had his reasons. I’d rather not talk about it.”

“But…”

“I said I don’t want to talk about it!” Ginny snapped furiously.

Colin quickly looked away and started chatting to Dennis. Next to Ginny, Luna had busied herself with a copy of the Quibbler.

Ginny sighed and reached for Harry’s notebook and she started reading again. The next hour of the journey was spent in silence, save for the incessant chatter of the Creevy Brothers. Ginny had finished reading Harry’s notebook two times until she had nearly all of the spells memorised. She could not wait to be able to test out some of these spells. However, there was one spell listed that Ginny hoped that she would never have to use, its description read:

Very Strong Healing Spell. Untested. Potentially (and probably) Dangerous. ONLY EVER USE AS A LAST RESORT.

“Does anyone fancy playing a game of exploding snap?” asked Dennis, reaching into his robe and withdrawing a deck of cards.

“Oh yes. I enjoy a game of exploding snap. It’s not much fun when you lose an eyebrow though.” Said Luna.

Ginny sighed; she could not ignore her friends for the rest of the journey. “Oh fine. Go on then. Deal the cards Dennis.”

After several games of exploding snap the cabin was filled with laughter and Colin had forgotten that Ginny had snapped at him the train began to slow down.

“We must be at Hogsmeade,” said Colin. “It’s good to be back. Don’t you think so, Ginny?”

After the train had arrived at Hogsmeade Station and the students were safely led back to Hogwarts, Ginny watched as the new batch of first years were led off by Professor Grubbly-Plank to be spoken to by the deputy Headmaster, Professor Flitwick. Ginny watched them leave and felt a stab of sadness as she remembered when she had first arrived at Hogwarts, to be led off by Hagrid. Ginny felt the tears welling up as she remembered Hagrid; giants had killed him as he attempted to reason with them just before Voldemort was destroyed.

Ginny wiped a tear from her eye as Dennis Creevy spoke, “Do you remember when I started here? I fell in the lake!”

“And the giant squid pushed you back into the boat!” answered Colin enthusiastically.

Ginny laughed as she remembered when Dennis had fallen in the lake. When she’d stopped laughing, Colin, Dennis, Luna and Ginny headed into the Great Hall.

Ginny looked up at the ceiling as she walked into the Great Hall, the house banners hung from the enchanted ceiling; which was bewitched to look like the night sky. The Great Hall always seemed to crackle with excitement, as if something major was going to happen every time you stepped into the room; this time was no exception, as Ginny could feel the electricity in the air, she could practically taste it.

There was no time to think about what might happen this year as the doors of the Great Hall opened again and Professor Flitwick entered, the first years trailing behind him and looking very, very nervous.

As the first years lined up by a stool with a familiar looking hat sat upon it. Ginny found herself a seat at the Gryffindor table and was joined by Colin and Dennis. Luna Lovegood, who was in Ravenclaw, waved at them from her table.

After the sorting was complete, and the new students had found seats amongst their respective houses, Headmistress McGonagall stood up and began her to address the Great Hall.

“Greetings to all our new students, and a warm welcome to our returning ones” McGonagall started. “I have a few important messages, firstly, I am pleased to announce that we have found a new Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher for this year.”

There was an outbreak of mutterings around the Great Hall, Defence against the Dark Arts had been taught by a most unsatisfactory Ministry appointed teacher last year.

“Settle down, settle down!” ordered McGonagall “Now for the benefit of all our new students, I would like to introduce our heads of houses, firstly, head of Hufflepuff, Professor Sprout.”

The Hufflepuff students all applauded, as Professor Sprout stood up and took a bow.

“That’s enough, that’s enough,” called McGonagall. “Head of Ravenclaw and Deputy Headmaster, Professor Flitwick.”

Tiny Professor Flitwick climbed to his chair and gave a wave as Ravenclaw house stood and cheered.

“Head of Slytherin House, Professor Slughorn.”

Slytherin house cheered and applauded as their head of house stood up, and took a little bow, twiddling his impressive handlebar moustache as he did so.

“And to round things off, I am pleased to welcome back as Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher and the new Head of Gryffindor House, Professor Lupin.”

Ginny looked up in shock; sure enough, sitting with the rest of the staff, was Remus Lupin.

The Gryffindor table exploded into rapturous applause as Lupin got to his feet. His robes were still tatty, his hair flecked with more grey than it had been last time he taught at Hogwarts, but he could not help but smile as students and staff alike applauded him.

“That is all for now. Let’s enjoy the feast!” Said McGonagall, a smile crossing her thin lips. As she spoke the plates on the house tables filled with many different foods, each one looked as delicious as the next one.

Ginny helped herself to a large helping of pork chops and mashed potatoes before she looked away from the Gryffindor table, and surveyed the other tables; the students from Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw houses were all smiling and chatting excitedly. Even most of the Slytherins were smiling, which was a rarity.

The events of last year leaving her mind for the first time in a long time, Ginny turned back towards her friends, a smile etched on her face.




A/N - Hope you all enjoyed reading this one, Chapter 6 is now online!
Chapter Six - The Professors Aide by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Six “ The Professors Aide



Within the space of a week Lupin’s lessons had become the most popular lessons in the school; students were heard to be chatting excitedly on their way to his classes. The thought of who would cover his lessons during the period when the full moon was up, was one of the most talked about topics of conversation. It also played heavily on many of the N.E.W.T students mind’s, they weren’t happy with the fact that their classes would be disrupted in such a way.

A few weeks later, just a couple of days before the full moon was due, Lupin called the class to a halt to make an important announcement. “As many of you know, my condition dictates that I must take three days and nights off every month, starting tomorrow.”

There was an outbreak of muttering at this comment.

“During this time,” Lupin continued, ”I want you to know that the class will be taken by a substitute teacher, who, I assure you, knows the subject as well as I, and were it not for his other career he probably would have been offered the post full time.”

As soon as this announcement was made the class erupted into a frenzy of gossip with nearly every student offering his or her opinion as to whom the teacher could be. As for Ginny, she couldn’t come up with many likely candidates; maybe another teacher from the Ministry was the potential substitute she could come up with.

Lupin spoke again, “I appreciate that this is an important subject for you to discuss, but if you please, let us continue with the lesson.”

As Ginny found her way into Defence Against the Dark Arts the next day, she looked around to see that there wasn’t any sign of Professor Lupin, or any sign of his replacement. She was not the only one who had noticed this, as many of the class were messing about, or doing homework for other lessons.

Seeing the opportunity, Ginny took out Harry’s old notebook, and began to read it again. She had just begun to read some interesting notes on how to counter the Imperius Curse when a voice from the back of the classroom called, “Sorry I’m late.”

The class was suddenly in a flurry of motion, quickly stuffing books into bags, and sugar quills were quickly disposed of. Then the class all turned to look at who had spoken, and no sooner had they laid eyes upon the figure at the doorway, than they had taken a collective gasp. Ginny felt her heart leap into her throat, as Harry Potter began to walk to the front of the classroom. The rest of her classmates watched in stunned silence.

“Right class,” Harry started. “As Professor Lupin has told you, he will be off for three days a month. During these three days, I will be teaching this class. More specifically, I will be teaching you how to duel. We’re going to start off with duelling in pairs, using verbal spells, then we will move onto duelling in pairs with non-verbal spells. Finally, we will progress onto duelling using more advanced magic.”

“But Harry,” Luna Lovegood had started to speak, but had stopped as some other students began to laugh at her calling a teacher by their first name.

Harry merely smiled at the outbreak of laughter. “Yes, Luna?”

“Harry, surely some of us are more advanced than others at duelling?”

Harry gave a little laugh. “I did think of that. That is why those of you who have already benefited from my …previous lessons -” Harry’s eyes moved from Luna, to Colin and lingered on Ginny a moment longer, he gave her a smile. “- will practise together, so no-one has an unfair advantage.”

The class began to giggle at the mention of Harry’s previous lessons, he knew why. After all, the D.A had achieved somewhat of a legendary status at Hogwarts.

“Professor Potter, sir?” said a voice.

Harry looked taken aback at being addressed in such a manner. It took him a moment to wipe the mild amusement from his face as he surveyed the rather skinny Hufflepuff boy who had spoken to him.

“Yes?”

“What are you doing here? I thought you were an Auror now?”

Harry laughed, “The students here were never so nosey when I was one of them.” The class laughed. “You’re quite right. I am an Auror. But the Ministry has given me the time off to teach this class when Professor Lupin is dealing with his furry little problem.”

Another hand went up, this time a wiry Slytherin boy spoke. “Why aren’t you looking for the Malfoys?”

The smile vanished from Harry’s face, “That’s no business of yours Mr…” Harry paused, waiting for the student to answer him.

“Lucas, Colm Lucas.” The boy replied.

“Well Mr Lucas. As I said, it’s none of your business. I feel that my time would be better spent here, unless of course you would rather not have a teacher for three days during your N.E.W.T year? Harry fixed his green eyes upon Lucas, and seemed to be trying to bore a hole right through him.

Lucas was quiet after that and looked at his desk. He seemed to realise that Harry was not the sort of teacher that you goaded.

Harry continued to stare at Lucas, satisfied that he was going to cause no more trouble he turned to the rest of the class. “Ok that’s enough chat, separate into pairs. Luna, Colin, Ginny, you’ll be practising as a trio in this lesson.”

Harry gave a little flick of his wand and a mound of cushions appeared out of thin air. “Just in case. Stunning might not hurt, but falling onto the floor will. Okay class. Let’s begin.”

Soon enough the classroom was filled with various coloured flashes of lights, and bangs of varying volume. Harry walked around the class, offering advice to those who needed it.

Lucas was on the receiving end of a number of curses from most of the class, who seemed angry by the fact that he was trying to cause trouble for Harry. They only left him alone once Harry had told them to stop it.

Ginny was easily besting Colin and Luna in her duels, but when Harry came over to watch, she found herself with a temporary case of memory loss, and promptly found herself hit by a well placed stunning spell from Colin. She tumbled backwards and Harry rushed to catch her in his arms, he pointed his own wand at her and muttered “Enervate!” A beam of light shone upon Ginny and she woke up, gazing up at Harry, he met her gaze and then stood up, looking away quickly.

“Nicely done, Colin. Ginny, be careful, pay attention.” he scolded, giving her a little smile.

Her memory came flooding back and she smiled at him and promptly hit Colin with a stunner of her own.

The lesson went on for the better part of an hour, before Harry called it to a halt.

“Okay class, that’s enough,” called Harry, projecting his voice just enough to be heard over the shouting of the students.

The class stopped and turned to look at him. Pleased that he had their attention, Harry spoke again.

“Okay, that was a good lesson. You should all be pleased with yourselves. Before we go however, I would like to see who is feeling confident about duelling, please raise your hands.”

All the class raised their hands.

“Good, good,” Harry continued, “Now, who here feels confident enough that they could incapacitate me?”

All the hands went down.

Harry laughed. “Okay, here are the rules, once you are incapacitated or you lose your wand, you are defeated. I will use only defensive spells, which I will cast verbally, you may use any spells you wish to try and incapacitate me. Would anyone like to try now, I am offering you a chance to duel with me, and really, who here hasn’t ever wanted to jinx a teacher? I know I used to want to.” Harry flashed a smile.

The class laughed, and slowly, some hands went up, Harry chose a trio of nervous looking Ravenclaw boys to be the first up. He turned to speak to them.

“You may attack one at a time, or all at once, I will give you a couple of minutes to talk through your plan.”

The Ravenclaws huddled together and started whispering, and eventually, nodding in agreement turned to face Harry.

“Ready?” he asked?

They nodded.

“Excellent. Would the rest of you please give us some room?”

The rest of the class moved out of the way, standing by the walls watching eagerly as Harry and the Ravenclaws took their positions.

“Then let us begin. Ginny, why don’t you do the honours?” Harry said, conjuring a whistle out of thin air and handing it to her. Ginny reached and took the whistle, her hand brushing against Harry’s, sending a pleasant jolt up her spine.

Harry moved back to position and raised his wand in salute to the boys standing opposite him. Ginny blew the whistle and almost immediately, one Ravenclaw lost their wand as Harry shot out of the blocks and hit him with the disarming charm.

The other two Ravenclaws looked taken aback by the speed of Harry’s attack, and decided to go at him together. One of the Ravenclaws shouted “Stupefy!” And a jet of red light shot towards Harry, the other Ravenclaw pointed his wand at Harry, and said, “Expelli…

That’s as far as he got as Harry whirled towards him and bellowed, “Expelliarmus!

The student’s wand went sailing out of his hand and before it hit the floor, Harry had spun to face the other student. As he was turning, he had extended his wand and effortlessly deflected the stunning spell, before firing his own disarming spell at the lone Ravenclaw, who tried to block it but was too slow.

The three Ravenclaws stood in front of Harry, wandless and looking very uncomfortable. Harry raised his wand and gave it a flick; the three wands flew from the floor and landed in his hand. He passed them back to the Ravenclaws.

“Nice try, good practice. Next time though, remember to act as soon as possible, it’s the difference between winning and losing. Okay, I think that’s enough for today.” The class all groaned in complaint, “No, no, that’s enough. I shall see you all again tomorrow.”

As the class were filing out of the room, Ginny could hear some of them murmuring,

“Did you see that? How is anyone that fast? I wouldn’t have liked to be have been You-know-who and facing him,” Said one Hufflepuff boy.

“I know, it was like watching a master swordsman fight boys with sticks, I don’t look forward to it being my turn,” replied another.

“He’s nothing special.” Muttered a very bitter Colm Lucas.

“Oh shut up Lucas. You’re just jealous of him.” Piped up a rather small Ravenclaw girl.

“You shut up, you dirty mudblood!”

“What are you talking about Lucas? She’s a pureblood you idiot.” Said one of the Ravenclaw boys that had challenged Harry. “How cool is he?” He said, turning to the other two Ravenclaws that had challenged Harry.

“Very cool.” Said one of them

“That’s the best lesson I’ve had in a long time.” Said the other.

Ginny, Colin and Luna were the last to leave the classroom.

“You coming Ginny?” asked Luna, watching Ginny with interest.

“Oh…yeah, I’ll be along in a minute.”

Luna shrugged her shoulders, “Come on Colin, lets go.” And they turned and headed out of the door, Luna gave Ginny a knowing smile as she disappeared into the corridor.

Ginny hung back to take one last look at Harry; but to her disappointment, he had slipped out of a side door. She then realised that she was still holding the whistle that Harry had given her. She looked down and saw that there were scratches on the side of it; she looked a little closer and saw that on one side were the initials ‘H.P.’ and on the other side were the initials ‘G.W.’ After discovering that, Ginny allowed herself a small smile as she headed back to the Gryffindor common room for the night.
Chapter Seven - A Family Affair by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Seven “ A Family Affair



Lucius Malfoy was not one for sleeping rough. The cave that he found himself and Draco in was most unpleasant. It had a foul stench like rotting flesh to it. The walls were stained with dried blood and urine. There was a pile of bones in one corner, some of them looked to be human.

I was better off in Azkaban, thought Lucius.

Draco and he had been sleeping in this cave, hiding away from the world, since their escape from Azkaban over a month ago. Narcissa had said she would send word when it was safe for them to return to the Malfoy family home, but as of yet, they had heard nothing. The relentless crashing of the ocean below did nothing to improve Lucius’ restlessness.

Draco, meanwhile was surveying the cave with interest, as he had done every day since he had arrived there. Food was no problem, there were plenty of rats around; and if anybody came snooping around, he and his father had their wands. They were both in a foul enough mood to ensure that anyone who entered the cave would not be leaving again.

Lucius got up from the mouldy pile of straw that he had been using as a bed and stretched his arms out wide.

“Draco, how did you have the misfortune to find this place?” Lucius asked as he sat down on a nearby rock; he refused to touch that straw unless it was absolutely necessary.

Draco looked up from the pile of bones he was studying to face his father, “I hid out here for a while when the Dark Lord was vanquished.”

Lucius laughed. “Couldn’t you have done better?”

“When you’re on the run from the Ministry, you don’t stop and think, ‘Hang on, this isn’t what I’m looking for.’ Besides, it wasn’t this bad last time I was here.”

“Quite’” said Lucius.

The cave fell back into silence after that, Draco resumed his anxious pacing. Lucius simply sat. Hours passed before Draco spoke again.

“I’m so sick of this place, father. What’s taking mother so long? I bet she is quite happy to leave us here to rot, just like she left me to rot in Azkaban.”

“Patience, Draco, she will send word when it is safe. For now, just enjoy the fact that you are out of Azkaban.” Lucius sighed, and looked at his son. Draco was not the same person he was before Lucius has been captured in the Department of Mysteries, and sentenced to life imprisonment in Azkaban. Draco’s spine now had a curve, as if some giant hand had bent it to its will. His eyes, once cold and gleaming, were now sunken and grey.

Lucius had heard what had happened to Draco after he was taken to Azkaban. How Draco was made a Death Eater and was given the task of killing Albus Dumbledore. At the time, Draco did not have the killer instinct to do it, and it was left to Severus Snape to kill Dumbledore. Lord Voldemort did not take kindly to Draco’s failure, and had placed the boy under the Cruciatus curse for an inhuman amount of time. The Dark Lord shown some degree of mercy though, and freed Draco of the curse before he lost his mind. The damage had been done though, Draco was a changed man; and he became unhinged, and was responsible for many deaths before he was finally captured.

“Draco?”

“Yes, father?”

“While we are waiting, I want to ask you some questions. I suspect the answers I have been getting from your mother are merely watered down versions of real events.”

Draco sighed, he was not really in the mood for talking, let alone answering the questions of a man he felt no connection with anymore. “I’m not in the mood.”

“Got something else to do to pass the time, have you?”

Draco cursed loudly. “Fine, go ahead. Ask away.”

“What exactly happened to Severus?”

Draco’s pale face contorted with rage. “Snape? That half-blood traitor?”

“Snape was a half-blood?” Lucius asked quickly, he had always been good friends with Snape during their Death Eater days.

“Yes he was. A lowly half-blood. I believe the Dark Lord took him in out of pity.”

“Probably. So what happened to him?”

“He killed Dumbledore. I began to suspect him when he did not kill Potter when he had the chance.” Draco paused, spitting at the mention of Harry. “After Dumbledore’s death he had the opportunity, Potter was pursuing him. Snape could easily have killed him there and then but instead he concentrated more on running. I stopped trusting him after that, and began to keep a close watch on him. I managed to hide and I heard him having a conversation with the filthy werewolf, Remus Lupin. He was spying for the Order of the Phoenix against the Dark Lord.”

Lucius’ eyes widened at this news. “So you told the Dark Lord of his treachery?”

Draco laughed. “I certainly did. He did not believe me at first, but he was suspicious enough of Snape to give me a potion of his own design that I was to make Snape drink.”

“What did the potion do?”

“It weakened his mind, made him unable to resist the Dark Lord’s Legilmency. It was highly amusing to see the helpless look on Snape’s face as the Dark Lord penetrated his mind to learn the truth.”

“The Dark Lord killed him?”

“Eventually. He made him suffer first. He made Snape suffer like no other. He subjected him to the Cruciatus curse for extended periods. He poisoned him and then gave him antidotes when he was at death’s door. Snape kept fighting though, at any opportunity he would try to escape. It was only when the Dark Lord finally destroyed his mind and broke his body did he stop attempting to get himself free. Then the Dark Lord mercifully killed him. I offered to do it myself, but the Dark Lord wanted to do it personally. He said he didn’t see the point of keeping him alive if there was no fight left in him.”

“Remarkable,” Lucius commented.

“What is?”

“That Snape managed to keep his mind closed to the Dark Lord for such a long time.”

“I suppose so. He must have been a better Occlumens that anyone anticipated.”

Lucius watched Draco pace around the cave, blasting rats at random with his wand before picking one of them up and taking a bite out of it. “Draco, I have more questions.”

“What?” said Draco through a mouthful of rat.

“What happened to Bellatrix? Rodolphus? Rabastan?”

Draco snorted, “Rodolphus and Rabastan killed each other.”

“What? Why?”

“Rabastan had tried to switch sides. Rodolphus caught him making a deal with Alastor Moody and engaged him in a duel; they both hit each other at the same time with a killing curse.”

Lucius snorted. “Idiots. They never could do anything right. And Bellatrix?”

Draco took another bite of rat before talking again. “Bellatrix was captured by Longbottom.”

“Longbottom? Surely not Frank and Alice’s son?”

“The very same. The useless, fat idiot proved more dangerous than any of us gave him credit for. He confronted Bellatrix as she tried to interfere in the duel between the Dark Lord and Saint Potter.”

“And he defeated her in a duel?”

“Yes. I bet it surprised him as much as it did her. It was more luck than anything else. Bellatrix had him trapped under a pile of rubble, and was gloating about how she was going to leave him like his parents. She didn’t see Longbottom pull himself out from under the rubble, and as she turned back to face him, he hit her with a stunning spell. When she came around she was in Azkaban.”

“What happened to Longbottom?”

“He passed out. He lost a leg dragging himself out of that rubble.”

“Who would have thought of that? I always assumed Longbottom junior was a talent-less fool.”

“We all did. That’s why nobody took him seriously. I’d have thought that Bellatrix would have been more careful though. I believe that she saw him at the Department of Mysteries,” said Draco.

“Indeed she did. He was the only one left fighting at the end apart from Potter.”

“You mean he outlasted Granger?”

“Indeed he did.”

“Ha. I suppose that does something to back up the fact that pure bloods are the only wizards worth anything,” smirked Draco.

“So Bellatrix is in Azkaban? I wonder why Narcissa did not want to free her,” Lucius thought out loud.

“Because she was dead. She died soon after going inside. Mother didn’t tell you any of this?”

“She neglected to mention it. Poor Bellatrix. I never did get on with her particularly well though. Now, Draco, one question remains. How did you end up in Azkaban?”

An angry scowl came across Draco’s face, and he threw the half-eaten rat to the floor, shooting an angry glance at his father. He did not want to be asked that question. Deciding that it was unavoidable given their current living situation, he turned and faced his father and began to speak.

“Potter caught me, a couple of months after defeating the Dark Lord. Potter began searching for the Death Eaters who had escaped. His search brought him to Little Hangleton, where I was hiding at the time. I’m ashamed to say that he defeated me in a duel.”

“How did he manage that?” Lucius drawled, tormenting Draco was about the only thing there was to in the cave that was of any interest.

“Don’t ask me that, I don’t know how he managed it!” Draco snapped, his ragged face contorting into a fierce snarl.

Lucius’ lip curled. “I thought you were this great Death Eater, responsible for the deaths of Mad-Eye Moody, and Kingsley Shacklebolt?”

“I am! But those two are nothing compared to Potter. When I came to face Potter, he had a wealth of spells at his disposal, I was outmatched.”

Lucius made a very audible tutting sound. “I’m disappointed, Draco.”

“You can talk! You got captured by Dumbledore!”

“Dumbledore was a great wizard, with years of experience behind him. Potter was just a boy!” stormed Draco, striding towards the entrance of the cave before turning back and scowling at Lucius.

“I was boy too you know, you seem to have forgotten that! If it weren’t for you making a mess of things in the Department of Mysteries, I would never have been put in the position that I was put in! I was sixteen, father, sixteen! And the Dark Lord gave me the task of killing Dumbledore, and you know what? I tried! I tried to the best of my ability, and do you know why I tried!? Do you!?”

“Because you would have been killed if you’d have refused?”

“WRONG! YOU WOULD HAVE BEEN KILLED, YOU AND MUM! I DID IT ALL TO KEEP YOU ALIVE, AND THIS IS HOW YOU REPAY ME? BY MOCKING ME! I WISH I’D HAVE REFUSED, AND HE’D HAVE KILLED YOU! YOU SHOULD BE ON YOUR HANDS AND KNEES, THANKING ME!”

“How dare you speak to me like that? HOW DARE YOU!” Lucius drew his wand, but Draco was there first.

Expelliarmus!

Lucius’ wand flew from his hand into Draco’s grasp. Draco twirled it around his fingers and laughed. “If I’d have wanted to kill you, I’d have done it before now.” Draco handed his wand back to Lucius. “I wouldn’t try it again though, old man. I might not be so courteous next time.”

After that verbal exchange, neither Malfoy was speaking to the other. Draco picked up the half eaten rat and began eating again. Lucius paced the cave, reflecting on what Draco had told him. He had been out of the wizarding world for so long. All he knew was that Lord Voldemort had been defeated, and that Albus Dumbledore was dead.

Father and son sat in silence for what seemed like an eternity, until a dark grey owl flew into the cave, and dropped a letter into Lucius’ lap. He picked it up and unrolled the piece of parchment.

Lucius, Draco,

The Ministry are satisfied now, they have finished searching the house, and subjected me to numerous interrogations. Fortunately they believe that I had nothing to do with the breakout.

It is now safe for the two of you to return home.

We have much to talk about.

Love

Narcissa


Lucius passed the note to Draco, who read it with a smile. “Let’s get going then.”

“What are you doing here?” said a gruff voice from the entrance of the cave.

Lucius and Draco spun around to see whom the voice belonged to, their wands at the ready; a single figure stood in the entrance. From his position Lucius could just about make out the ruddy face and scrubby brown beard of the Head of the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures.

“Well, if it isn’t Amos Diggory,” said Lucius.

Draco laughed, “How’s your wife, Diggory?”

Amos Diggory’s face seemed to transform before the Malfoy’s eyes, it glazed over with a furious anger, his eyes protruded from their sockets.

“My son asked you a question, Diggory. Don’t be so rude.”

“My wife…your son should know, he’s the one that killed her,” Amos Diggory replied, anger bubbling away in his gruff voice.

“Did you really? Excellent work, Draco,” complimented Lucius.

Draco regained his malicious smile as he stared at Diggory, “She was fun, and she didn’t go quietly. I had to use the Cruciatus curse many times before I killed her. Her screams were music to me.”

Amos Diggory had abandoned all restraint; he launched himself towards Draco, his wand shooting sparks as he did so. “In the cave! NOW!” Diggory yelled as he drew his wand back.

The footsteps of several other wizards were heard before Lucius Malfoy saw them enter the cave, Ministry of Magic symbols were clearly marked on their robes, and all of them had their wands drawn, and were ready for whatever awaited them inside the cave.

“Amos?” called a short, round wizard from the front of the pack, “What’s going on?”

It was then that he laid his eyes on Lucius, Draco was busy duelling with Diggory in the back, “It’s the Malfoy’s! Don’t let them get away!” the fat wizard yelled, and he and his comrades advanced upon Lucius, and some headed towards Draco to help out Amos Diggory.

Lucius raised his wand, and prepared to fight for his freedom once again.




A/N - Chapter 7 down! Chapter 8 will be coming soon! Thanks to Orlaith for Beta'ing this!
Chapter Eight - The Rodent Revelation by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.


Chapter Eight “ The Rodent Revelation


Narcissa Malfoy paced back and forth, wringing her hands together, an apprehensive look frozen across her pale and pointed face. She was worried. She had sent the note at least a quarter of an hour since, and unless Lucius or Draco had splinched themselves, Apparition should never take this long.

They should be here by now. What’s keeping them?

Time passed as Narcissa paced the living room of the Malfoy residence. Suddenly there was a loud crack from outside, followed by another loud crack straight afterwards. Grabbing her wand Narcissa ran to the front door and passed through it, standing outside the house were Lucius and Draco.

They certainly looked worse for wear, Lucius was bleeding from a wound on his head, Draco had a split lip and his eye was puffy and swollen.

“Oh my god! What on earth happened to you two?” Narcissa asked anxiously, throwing herself into Lucius’ arms.

Draco gave a small cough; bringing up blood as he did so, he winced in pain as he brought a hand to his ribs. Narcissa released Lucius and began tending to Draco’s wounds but he pushed her away. “I’m fine, mother, see to father instead.”

Narcissa turned back to Lucius to see him leaning against a nearby tree to hold himself upright. She hurried over to him. “What happened?”

Lucius let out a groan and slid down the tree towards the ground. Narcissa quickly whipped out her wand and pointed it at the large gash at the back of Lucius’ head; bandages flew out of her wand and bound themselves tightly around Lucius’ wound, stopping the flow of blood.

With Narcissa’s help Lucius was able to pull himself to his feet and finally managed to answer her question. “We ran into some Ministry of Magic workers. Blast that Diggory!”

Narcissa gasped, “How did they know…”

Lucius cut her off, “…That we were there? They didn’t. It turns out that the cave we were living in used to belong to a troll. The wizards had come up to investigate it, and found us there instead.” Lucius cast a look of pure loathing at Draco, who was still coughing up blood.

Draco caught his father’s gaze, “Don’t look at me like that. How was I to know that it belonged to a troll? Last time I was there it was just an empty cave. I imagine a troll moved in when I was in Azkaban!”

Lucius opened his mouth to argue back when his eye fell upon the Malfoy house. “Narcissa, what has happened to my house?”

Narcissa looked up at the house, and it was then that she appreciated how run down it had become. Tiles hung off the roof, the paint was peeling from the walls, windows were broken. It was a far cry from the elegant place it had been before Lucius went to Azkaban.

“The Ministry happened Lucius,” Narcissa spoke, looking back to her husband. “Ever since you have been locked away they have conducted regular searches of this place, looking for any dark material that may still be found here. The times I have told Arthur Weasley to leave this place alone.”

“Weasley!” Lucius snarled. “I might have known, that disgrace of a wizard. Oh I bet he thought he had hit the jackpot when I went to Azkaban.”

“He certainly had a smug look on his face when he came here.” Narcissa said her voice edged with disgust. “When the Ministry discovered that you and Draco had escaped Azkaban, they came around here looking for you, and they completely ripped the place apart. I’ve been doing the best I can just to keep it liveable. Its not been easy.”

Lucius looked at his wife and smiled, he wiped a tear from her eye that had been threatening to fall as she told him the tale of her plight. “At least its still home. And it’s far better than a cave. Come, let us go inside.” And they turned and walked towards the house, pushing open the battered, peeling front door.

Draco headed to the house after them, “I think I preferred the cave.” He muttered under his breath.

As the Malfoys walked around the dilapidated remains of their once beautiful home Draco decided to make his feelings known. “This is all Potters fault.” Lucius and Narcissa both jumped a little, they forgotten that Draco was there. His voice crackled with pure hatred as he continued to speak. “It’s his fault. He got you arrested. He put me in Azkaban. He defeated the Dark Lord, it’s all his fault.”

Lucius turned to face his son, “Draco, you must learn to put grudges behind you. Potter was not the one who came to this house and tore it to pieces, no, we have Arthur Weasley to thank for that.”

Draco scoffed, “You can talk about grudges, father. You’ve had it in for Arthur Weasley for as long as I can remember.”

Narcissa looked between the two men, “I have to say that I agree with Draco. Wait, Lucius, and hear me out.” She said quickly, noticing the look on her husbands face. “Despite the fact that it was Arthur Weasley who left our house in this state. It can all be traced back to Potter. If he had not caused you to be captured at the Department of Mysteries than you would not have gone to Azkaban, and Arthur Weasley would never have been able to come here.”

“Be that as it may. Potter is not a safe or sensible target. He is too unpredictable. We do not know where he is. What he is doing. Nor do we have any way to draw him out. Draco, calm down.” Lucius said as he watched Draco pace back and forth, his fists clenched. “Potter has always managed to defeat you Draco. He has now had an extra years training, whereas you did not even sit your exams. Potter could easily beat you again. You’ll need my help to stand a chance, and I don’t think going after Potter is a good idea. If Potter dies it will draw too much attention to us, we need to lay low until the uproar surrounding our escape has died down.”

“So you just want to sit here, in our broken down home and wait? Whilst Potter gets even stronger?”

“As I’ve just said Draco, we have no way of drawing him out. We do not know where he is!”

Draco whipped out his wand and pointed it at Lucius “I’ll make you do it. Don’t force me to use this”.

Lucius calmly pulled out his own wand and pointed it at Draco “Don’t do this, Draco. I might be a broken down old man in your eyes, but I’m still the wizard I always was.”

Draco snorted, “I’m twice the wizard you ever were!”

Just as Lucius was about to response Draco suddenly whirled around and pointed his wand into the corner of the room where a figure lurked, unnoticed until that moment.

“Draco, NO!” shrieked Narcissa.

Incarcerous!”

Thin ropes shot from the end of Draco’s wand and tied themselves around the figure, who fell to the floor, thrashing about and cursing at the top of his voice.

Narcissa waved her own wand and the ropes disappeared and the figure got back to his feet and walked into the light.

Lucius and Draco couldn’t believe their eyes at the sight of the small man in who now stood in front of them.

“Pettigrew?” Lucius said in bewilderment “Peter Pettigrew, what on earth are you doing in my house?”

“Nice to see you too Lucius” Pettigrew smirked “Caught me by surprise there, Draco. I see you haven’t lost your touch.”

“Of course not”

Narcissa could feel the tension in the air and moved so that she was standing between her husband, son and Pettigrew. Unsure of what was to happen, she began to speak.

“Lucius, Draco, Peter here has been helping me, he’s the reason I was able to break you out of Azkaban. He’s the person who’s going to help us destroy Harry Potter.”

Draco looked up expectedly Pettigrew knows where Potter is?He thought.

“Really, and how is he going to do that?” Lucius questioned, sarcasm dripping in his voice.

“If you’ll be quiet a minute, I’ll tell you.” Pettigrew spoke, with a hint of anger in his tone.

“Don’t you tell me to…”

“Shut up, father! Let him speak, if he knows how to get to Potter I for one want to hear what he has to say.” Interrupted Draco.

Lucius was stung by this latest outburst from his son, he opened his mouth to argue back, but decided against it and instead waited for Pettigrew to talk again.

When he was satisfied that he had silence, Pettigrew began to address the Malfoys.

“That’s better, now with no interruptions if you please. I will tell you what I know. When Harry Potter defeated the Dark Lord. I wasn’t present; the Dark Lord had sent me away in disgust for failing to prevent the destruction of his Horcruxes. Since that day, I’ve been on the run. As you know, I can disguise myself most effectively.”

Pettigrew stopped and took a breath before continuing.

“After a year on the run, I encountered a young wizard from the Ministry. I saw my opportunity. I stunned him, and kept him alive under the Imperius curse, I sent him into the Ministry of Magic to carry out his duties as usual. After a month of doing this, the Polyjuice potion I was preparing has matured, and was ready for use, so I took some of the wizards hair and took on his identity. For the past few three months I have been working in the Ministry and Magic, and have built a friendship with one Percy Weasley.”

Pettigrew looked around impressively, when he saw that he was not getting the reaction he had hoped for, he cleared his throat and carried on.

“Using my friendship with Weasley I was able to learn about Azkaban. I was able to learn that Harry Potter would be teaching at Hogwarts for three days a month while my old friend Remus is off work with his condition. I pushed Weasley for information about Potter, what he was doing these days, who he was friends with. Weasley told me that Potter was training as an Auror, and that Peter Pettigrew was the wizard he was most anxious to catch. Weasley also mentioned to me that his family was worried about Ginny Weasley, and that she wasn’t the same since the night the Dark Lord was defeated. I questioned him about this, and he shared with me the information that Ginny Weasley and Harry Potter were once deeply in love. He also confided in me his suspicions that Ginny Weasley was still in love with Harry Potter.”

Draco’s eyes widened at this news The Weasley girl loves Potter?He suddenly had a very good idea.

Pettigrew continued “I came to Narcissa with the information, and we plotted together to break you out of Azkaban. I used my connections within the Ministry to make sure that the most inept guards happened to be working when Narcissa came to visit.”

Narcissa then spoke, “If it wasn’t for Peter here, I would never have been able to break you out of Azkaban, without his help, we would never have found out Potter’s weakness.”

“Ginny Weasley.” Draco said, with disgust in his voice, “If her life was in danger Potter would be drawn out to save her. I know Potter, he wouldn’t let her go, if he had loved her once, he loves her still. If she were to perish, if he were unable to save her. It would send him over the edge, he’d come in search of us, he’d be weakened by grief. He would be easy prey. What do you think father?”

They all turned to look at Lucius, who was pacing back and forth, apparently thinking. Meeting their eyes he spoke his answer “We better get ready. We’re going back to school.”




A/N - Thats it for Chapter 8 - Please R n R, Chapter 9 coming soon! Thanks to Orlaith, the most fantabulous beta ever!
Chapter Nine - Schoolgirl Crush by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Nine “ Schoolgirl Crush



The sound of excited shouting from the common room woke Ginny Weasley. Ginny had just been having a very strange dream, in which Hermione was dating Draco Malfoy and Harry at the same time, whilst wearing a lot of black makeup. Ginny chuckled to herself as she thought of Hermione in such a way.

“Ginny, wake up, it’s duelling today!” called a voice from the bottom of the stairs to the girls dormitory. “Come on, Ginny, get up. I’ll meet you in the Great Hall. Okay?”

Ginny groaned and pulled her duvet over her head. She had totally forgotten about duelling today. It was made worse by the fact that it was a particularly cold October morning.

“Ginny? Did you head me? Get up!” shouted the voice from the common room again.

“Okay, Colin! I’ll be there in a few minutes. Stop shouting! I’ll meet you in the common room!” Ginny shouted back.

She waited until she heard quiet in the common room before she got out of bed. If there was one lesson she did not want to go to, it was Harry’s duelling lesson. Ever since the first lesson, her performances in class were getting worse and worse. At first it was only when Harry watched her that she was unable to focus, but with each poor lesson, Ginny’s confidence slipped lower and lower. She had done so badly in the last lesson that she had not managed to beat Colin or Luna in any of their duels. It was only a matter of time until Harry asked her what was wrong, and what would she tell him? Ginny knew the truth, but she could not tell Harry the truth.

Every lesson it breaks my heart to be so close, yet so far from him, whenever he looks at me, I can’t focus, my mind just blanks.

After pulling on her robes and brushing her hair, Ginny reached under her pillow for the locket and fastened it around her neck. With a sigh, she sat down in front of the mirror in the girls dormitory and took a long, hard look at herself.

You’re in trouble, girl. It’s never going to happen with Harry. You’re letting him hold you back.

Feeling sorry for herself, Ginny headed down the staircase into the common room, which was now empty. Ginny happened to catch a glance of a piece of parchment that was pinned to the notice board, seeing parchment on the notice board was not unusual in itself, however, this piece of parchment had a very poor picture of Harry sketched upon it, and underneath, written in shiny red ink were the words;

Harry Potter “ He’s the best teacher EVER! And he’s soooo gorgeous!

Ginny felt her stomach sink even further, it was bad enough that Harry was at Hogwarts; she did not need his fan club putting things in the common room that would remind her of him.

Ginny sighed once again, and with one last look at the piece of parchment, she climbed through the portrait hole and headed towards the Great Hall.

As Ginny made her way through the corridors of the school as she headed towards the Great Hall, she noticed a group of Fourth-year girls watching and pointing at her, and then giggling to themselves. Ginny was used to that though, it was no secret that she and Harry were an item not so long ago. It didn’t help matters that all of Ginny’s brothers had done something to warrant them being part of Hogwarts Lore, she counted them off in her head.

Bill “ Head Boy
Charlie “ Quidditch Captain, one of the best Hogwarts had seen
Percy “ Head Boy
Fred and George “ The ultimate troublemakers, students still admire the small patch of swamp they left behind when they left Hogwarts. Their actions in their seventh year were responsible for the expression “Doing a Weasley.” Also the best Quidditch Beaters seen in a long time.
Ron “ Harry Potter’s best friend, helped save the Philosophers Stone, went into the Chamber of Secrets with Harry, helped uncover the truth behind Sirius Black, fought in the Department of Mysteries with Harry, won the Quidditch cup as Keeper.


Ginny smiled at she thought of her brothers, sometimes she wished that Fred, George and Ron were still here with her, but they were doing well for themselves in the outside world; Fred and George owned a chain of joke shops. Ron was training to become an Auror, and he was dating Hermione Granger, who was another Hogwarts legend in her own right.

The girls all giggled at her until one of the smaller ones spoke. “You’re Ginny Weasley?”

“Yes,” Ginny replied, looking the girl up and down.

“You know Harry Potter is teaching here?”

Ginny rolled her eyes. “Of course I know he is teaching here. What exactly do you want?”

The girl blushed and her friends all giggled. “Are you going to get back together with him? We all think he’s dreamy!”

Ginny was taken aback, was everybody at school thinking about her and Harry? “Umm…I don’t know. I hadn’t really thought about it,” she lied. “But you’re right, he is dreamy.”

With that comment Ginny carried on walking to the Great Hall, leaving the group of girls giggling amongst themselves.

Ginny entered the Great Hall and took her usual look at the ceiling, it was sunny outside. The smell of various breakfast foods filled her nose as she waved at Luna Lovegood and headed towards the Gryffindor table.

“Hiya, Ginny. You okay?” asked Colin, a little less enthusiastically than usual.

“I’m fine, thanks, Colin,” Ginny lied. She was not fine. Her insides felt like they were dancing a tango.

After a filling breakfast of cereal and many rounds of toast, Ginny looked at her watch, it was nearly nine o’clock.

“We had better get to lessons,” she said to Colin and Dennis.

Dennis looked at his watch, “Holy smokes! You’re right. I better run. I’m in the North Tower first lesson. See you at lunch!”

Ginny and Colin said goodbye to Dennis and met up with Luna on the walk to Defence Against the Dark Arts.

“Hi, Luna. How are you today?” piped Colin, shifting his schoolbag from one shoulder to another.

Luna looked at him, her eyes looked even larger and madder than usual today. “I’m fine, thank you, Colin. I’m really looking forward to this lesson. Aren’t you, Ginny?”

Ginny flushed. “Not really, Luna.”

“Oh. I would have thought you’d have been glad to see Harry,” said Luna.

I am glad to see Harry. More than you could possibly know.

“Oh, well, you know. It’s different now. He’s a teacher and we’re all students. We can’t expect to be friends anymore.”

Luna laughed. “That’s not what I meant and you know it.”

Ginny could not help but laugh with Luna; she had walked straight into that. She could have come up with a more convincing excuse, but nothing came to mind.

Colin, who was a bit slow on the uptake, did not start laughing until Luna whispered something into his ear. “Do you still fancy Harry then, Ginny?”

Luna elbowed him. “There’s such a thing as tact, Colin!” she turned back to Ginny. “You do though, don’t you?”

Ginny looked between Colin and Luna, they were her closest friends at Hogwarts since Harry, Ron and Hermione had left. Slowly but surely she nodded to them.

Colin’s mouth hung open and Luna cheered and hugged Ginny.

“You can’t tell him! Promise me you won’t tell anybody!” Ginny pleaded, suddenly worried.

“Don’t be so silly, Ginny. Of course we won’t tell anyone. Will we, Colin?” Luna murmured.

“What? Oh. Oh no of course not. Well. What about Dennis?”

Ginny made a noise like an angry cat at Colin. “Especially not Dennis! He can’t keep quiet for more than five minutes.”

Luna laughed. “Come on. Let’s get to lesson. We don’t want to keep Ginny’s boyfriend waiting.”

“Oi!” exclaimed Ginny angrily, before quickly realising that Luna and Colin were only having some fun. She joined in with their laughter as she cried inside at the thought of her and Harry together.

When they arrived in the classroom Ginny headed to her seat, staring at Harry as she went. She didn’t mean to, but she could not help herself. She was drawn to him, lost in her own dreams as she stared at Harry. Ginny went to sit down but before she could Harry cleared his throat and began to address the class.

“Morning everyone. Okay I’ve been really, really impressed with what you can do so far. Today I thought we would practise outside so we’ve got a little more room. You’ll also be able to use any jinx, hex or curse you want to, but obviously, keep it within reason, nothing unforgivable.”

The class laughed and murmured excitedly. Harry could tell that they had been practising extra spells to use on an occasion just like this. He glanced in Ginny’s direction, unlike the rest of the class, who were chatting excitedly, she looked worried, and had turned a strange shade of grey.

I hope she’s back on form this lesson, he thought to himself.

“Okay class, let’s head down to the Quidditch pitch. Headmistress McGonagall has kindly agreed to let us use it for this lesson.” Harry smiled to himself.

Wood would have killed me if he saw me using the Quidditch pitch for anything other than seeking.

Harry led the class down towards the Quidditch pitch. It was bitterly cold outside, and many of the students’ teeth were chattering. Once the class had arrived at the pitch, Harry gave the usual instruction to split into pairs, with the former members of the D.A. practising with each other.

The air was soon filled with a mix of noises, including spell noise, and more than a little hollering. Harry began walking around the class, offering advice here and there, and watching to see how they were getting on.

When he arrived at Ginny, Colin, and Luna, it was soon apparent that Ginny was not on form yet again. So far, Harry had watched as Colin had to shrink her teeth back to normal size as a result of a Densaugeo spell from Luna. The only offence she had mounted so far was a shield spell, which reflected a tickling charm back towards Colin, causing him to collapse in fits of laughter.

“Ginny,” Harry called out to her, motioning her to move away from Colin and Luna.

Ginny felt her body seize up and her heart suddenly seemed to beat very loudly. “Yes?”

Harry stood next to her and moved her away from her friends, leaning close to her ear, he began to speak, “I was thinking, just for the rest of this lesson could you practise with him?” Harry indicated, pointing at the same tall, thin Slytherin boy who had back chatted him in his first lesson. Ginny looked at Colm Lucas, and noticed he was looking at her with a look of disgust on his face.

“Sure, why though?” Ginny asked, more than a little puzzled.

Harry lowered his voice even further. “Officially, it looks like I’m doing it so that you can practise with someone more on your level.” Ginny opened her mouth to object when Harry continued. “Unofficially I’m doing it because I think nothing gets your mindset back where it should be like hexing a Slytherin.” He gave her a wink, and she smiled back.

Ginny and Lucas stood opposite each other, glaring at his other, hands wrapped around their wands. Harry stood between them, his wand in his own hand.

“Okay, on my mark.”

Harry pointed his wand up into the air and shot a streak of sparks out of it, following by a loud booming sound.

Ginny spun round, her wand ready, but as she spun she caught a glimpse of Harry, and her mind went blank.

“Ascendare!”

Ginny found herself blasted up into the air, she kept rising and rising until she had reached the peak of the blast, and she began to plummet back towards to ground; unable to think, she screamed. The rest of the class stopped what they were doing and turned to watch as Ginny fell towards the ground.

“Arresto Mementum!” called Harry, pointing his wand at Ginny, she began to slow down, and she came to a stop six inches from the floor.

Harry whirled around to look at Lucas. “That was good, but next time, try something that isn’t likely to result in the death of your partner.”

Lucas smirked and the rest of the class laughed. Ginny went bright red, but she saw Harry smiling at her she steadied herself and prepared to duel again.

Come on, Ginny, you are better than this guy. You’ve got to show Harry that you can do it.

Harry shot the streak of sparks from his wand once again, followed by the loud booming sound. Ginny hesitated, that was all the time Lucas needed, he pointed his wand and shouted,

“SERPENSORTIA!”

A large black snake shot out of the end of his wand and flew towards Ginny, she fell down and the snake landed on top of her, fangs bared, ready for the kill.

“VIPERA EVANESCA!” she heard Harry roar, the snake disappeared in a puff of smoke leaving a shaken Ginny lying on the floor. Harry held out his hand and she took it, and pulled herself to her feet.

What happened next happened in a blur, she saw Harry turn to face Lucas, his wand outstretched. The next thing she heard were the class laughing as Lucas was hanging upside down, as though an invisible hand and grabbed his ankle and jerked him upwards. He simply hung in the air, his limbs flailing about, cursing at the top of his voice, his robes falling down over his head. Harry strode towards to suspended Lucas.

“What did I just tell you? If you are unable to follow instructions, then you will not be welcome in this class. DO I MAKE MYSELF CLEAR?”

Lucas whimpered and nodded his head, with a flick of his wand Harry released Lucas and he fell to floor in a pile. Harry turned to the class, anger still evident on his face.

“Class dismissed. Ginny, stay behind a moment.”

Ginny felt her face getting redder and redder and looked at the floor quickly. What could he want? He was surely going to criticise her for her poor performance. However, when she raised her head she saw that Harry was smiling at her.

“Harry, what?” she began.

“Ginny, I wanted to apologise for singling you out in class, and for not seeing more of you this year.”

Ginny breathed a sigh of relief. “Harry, its ok, I know you’ve been busy with work, and Petti…”

She stopped herself when she saw the look of Harry’s face.

“Never mind all that, Ginny. Look I want you to come to the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom at eight o’clock tonight. I would like to see you alone.”

Ginny’s heart leapt, Her and Harry, alone together, was he ready to forgive her?

“Okay, Harry, I’ll be there,” said Ginny, fighting to keep the smile from her face.

Harry beamed. “Great! Okay you better get going. I don’t want to make you late for your next lesson. Come on, I’ll walk you back to the castle.”

Harry and Ginny walked side-by-side back up to the castle, and when they said goodbye, Ginny couldn’t help but smile to herself.




A/N - Thats it for Chapter 9 - Its good to be writing H/G scenes again! Thanks to Orlaith!
Chapter Ten - Extra Lessons by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Ten “ Extra Lessons



“Are you going to go then?”

Ginny looked up from her piece of parchment and looked at Luna and Colin sitting opposite her.

She shushed them. “You’re not supposed to talk in the library.”

“Don’t change the subject, Ginny. Are you going to see Harry tonight or not?”

“Of course I am.”

Luna clapped and hooted, drawing a look of severe reprimand from Madam Pince. She leaned closer in to Ginny, and spoke again in a whisper, “What do you think he wants?”

Ginny shrugged. “I don’t know. He didn’t say what he wanted.”

“I bet he wants to take you out!” whispered Colin excitedly.

I wish, Ginny thought.

“I doubt it, Colin. He’s a teacher. He can’t go taking students out,” Ginny said to Colin.

Luna rolled her eyes. “You’re not just a student though are you? You’re more than that to him.”

“Not any more Luna. Me and Harry are in the past,” Ginny said, even though it hurt her to say it.

“I don’t believe you,” said Colin.

“Believe what you want, Colin!” Ginny snapped at him, making sure to keep her voice low.

Colin and Luna shifted in awkward silence; they did not want to anger Ginny. Colin saw his brother Dennis enter the library and he rushed over to talk to him.

Ginny sighed.

“What’s the matter, Ginny?” said Luna kindly.

“I wish you were in Gryffindor, Luna. I don’t like not having a close friend there.”

“You’ve got Colin.”

They both chuckled, Colin was a fine friend, but you could not go to him with problems or feelings.

Ginny spoke again, “I just wish we didn’t have to come to the library to talk after lessons.”

At that point Colin and Dennis both came over and sat down. Colin sat next to Luna and Dennis next to Ginny. Dennis had always liked Ginny, ever since the days of the D.A.

“Hiya, Ginny!” he piped excitedly.

“Quiet, Dennis! You’ll get us thrown out,” Ginny said to him.

“So, Ginny. What are you wearing tonight?”

Ginny laughed. “Luna I’ve told you. It’s not a date. I’ll wear what I am wearing now.”

“You’re going on a date? Who with?” asked Dennis.

“Mind your own business, Dennis,” snapped Colin.

“It’s nearly half past seven. You should go. You don’t want to keep Harry waiting,” Luna said.

“YOU’RE GOING ON A DATE WITH HARRY POTTER?” Dennis bellowed.

“What’s all this racket?” A stern looking woman had appeared at the end of their table. “I must insist that you leave and you may come back when you can control the volume of your voice.” Madam Pince glared at them all and hurried back to her desk.

“Nice one, Dennis,” Ginny, Luna and Colin all said together, before they got up and left.

After saying goodbye to Luna, Ginny and the Creevy brothers headed back to the Gryffindor common room.

“Look guys, I’m going to go up to the dorm. I’ll see you in the morning okay?” Ginny said to the boys.

“Sure, Ginny, have fun tonight!” Colin said. Dennis glared at her.

After brushing her hair and changing into some clean robes (just in case), Ginny left the dormitory and set off for the Defence Against the Dark Arts classroom.

Ginny’s heart was racing as she hurried towards the Defence against the Dark Arts classroom. She had no need to be hurrying, she was just excited. Harry Potter, the man she was so deeply in love with, had asked her to come to the classroom alone.

As Ginny arrived at the classroom she took a deep breath and pushed the door open. She had completely forgotten to knock. Harry was stood behind his desk and looking out of the window. He turned to face Ginny as she came crashing through the door. He had a big smile on his face, his green eyes were shining in the light.

He’s still smiling, he’s glad to see me, Ginny thought to herself, her eyes not leaving Harry.

“Hi, Ginny. Glad to see you’re enthusiastic,” he said, glancing at the watch on his wrist. “We should make a move. I don’t want to keep you out too late.”

I don’t mind how late you keep me out.

“Okay.” That was the only answer Ginny could manage. She couldn’t help but smile at Harry; he had this effect on her, and had done so for as long as she could remember. All she wanted to do was gaze into his eyes.

Harry had made his way to the door where Ginny was standing. He made his way around her and headed out of the door, as he passed her Ginny felt his hand brush hers, his touch was electric. She was not sure whether or not Harry meant to touch her hand but there was not time to dwell on that now. She turned and followed Harry out of the door.

Harry led the way as he and Ginny walked through the corridors of Hogwarts.

“Harry?”

Harry paused, before answering, “Yeah?”

“Where are we going?”

“The Forbidden Forest.”

Ginny took a sharp intake of breath, she could think of no reason why Harry would want to go there.

“Why are we going there?”

“I need to talk to you alone.”

Ginny paused. “Couldn’t you have talked to me in the classroom?”

“No. I wanted to have you all to myself,” he said, winking at her.

Ginny was shocked. She did not know what Harry was playing at. Did he feel the same way as she did? Or was he just getting her hopes up? Ginny decided to stop asking questions after that. She just wanted to enjoy their time together.

As they exited the school and headed towards the Forbidden Forest, Ginny began to feel a little nervous. She knew that the Forest was dangerous, but when she looked at Harry however, she knew she was safe. She knew that Harry would never let anything happen to her. That was what Harry did, he protected his friends.

They entered the forest together and both lit their wands so that they could see where they were going. The light from their wands cast shadows in the forest. Tree branches grabbed at them, threatening to pull them into the darkness as they walked past.

Eventually they reached a small clearing a little way inside the forest. Harry looked around fondly as he remembered this was the place where Hagrid had first introduced him to Buckbeak the Hippogriff. Ginny thought she saw a misty look in Harry’s eyes as he looked around.

“Harry, what’s wrong?”

Harry snapped out of his daydream as his eyes landed on Ginny. “Oh. Nothing. Just remembering Hagrid.”

Harry shook his head as if to shake away the painful memories. Ginny did not know what to do. She wanted to comfort him, but at the same time she did not want to go near him; she did not trust herself when she was too close to Harry, the urge to hold him was too great.

Harry shook his head once more and spoke. “Okay, Ginny, now we are alone. I want to tell me. Truthfully, what is holding you back in classes?”

Ginny’s stomach lurched.I knew it, he wants to talk about why I’ve been doing so badly.

Ginny looked around wildly for a distraction, anything to change the subject, so she wouldn’t have to tell Harry the truth. She could not bring herself to lie to him, but she could not find a suitable distraction either. She would have to tell him the truth.

“You are,” she said simply.

Harry looked stunned. “What do you mean, I am?”

“I mean, you are. I can do fine as long as you aren’t watching me. I would have beaten Lucas easily if you hadn’t have been watching, but when you watch me my mind goes blank. I can’t focus on what I am supposed to be doing.”

Harry was lost for words; he had not expected to hear that. “Well I’m your teacher. I have to watch what you do.”

“I know that!”

“So, you’ll just have to learn to deal with it.”

Ginny was incensed. “How dare you to tell me to deal with it! I don’t know what you want me to do! I can’t just switch off my feelings! We’re not all like you!”

Harry laughed, “When have I ever switched off my feelings?”

Ginny just glared at him.

Harry took a step closer to her. “Ginny, I, we, uh, let me start over. Look we need to get this sorted out. I’m in this school as a teacher. I’m trying to teach you so you can defend yourself better. To do that, I have to be able to watch you. It’s my responsibility to tell you what you’re doing wrong.”

“I know that! Its not like I choose to mess up whenever you watch me!”

“I know, I know, calm down.” Harry paced back and forth. “The reason I asked you to meet me tonight is I wanted to offer you a little extra help. To get you back on track. A private lesson.”

The idea calmed Ginny down, if she could successfully duel with Harry himself, then having him watch her while she duelled with someone else would be no problem.

“Sure. If you think you’re up to it,” she said, adding a wink and a little smile.

“I’m sure I’ll manage,” Harry replied, winking back.

“Bring it on then!” Ginny laughed.

“Very well.”

Harry and Ginny moved in opposite directions, took ten paces and turned and faced each other, wands at the ready.

“On three,” said Harry, a grin spreading across his face. “One, two, three!”

Ginny was ready, as soon as “Three” had passed Harry’s lips, she pointed her wand at him and said “Rictusempra!” Harry fell to floor laughing, Ginny’s tickling charm had struck her target. Ginny lowered her wand and started to laugh at Harry rolling on the floor in fits of laughter. She did not see Harry point his wand at her.

Tarantallegra!

Ginny’s legs went into a frenzy of motion, sending her into a mad tap dance. Harry meanwhile was struggling to get back to his feet due to the fact he was still laughing. Finally succeeding in standing, he pointed his wand at himself.

Finite Incantatem.” His laughter stopped. He pointed his wand at Ginny and did the same spell to her, and her legs stopped dancing.

“Nicely done, Miss Weasley. Take five points for Gryffindor,” Harry grinned.

Ginny giggled. “Well thank you, Professor.”

Harry laughed. “Expelliarmus!

Ginny’s wand flew into the air and landed in Harry’s hand.

“That’s not fair! I wasn’t ready!” she protested, as Harry handed her wand back to her.

“Well if you’re fighting a proper duel your opponent isn’t likely to announce their attack, are they?”

“Point taken.”

“Let’s duel again. Are you ready?”

“Yeah.” And they turned their wands on each other.

The duel went on this way for the better part of an hour. Ginny couldn’t help but feel like Harry was letting her get so many jinxes on target, but she felt buoyed and was as confident she had been for a long time. Harry was laughing and smiling as Ginny kept disarming him.

Time to make her work now, he thought to himself.

Harry then began blocking Ginny’s spells, making her work to get her hexes on target. As time went on more and more of Ginny’s spells started getting through, as she got used to Harry’s defense, and began to learn ways around it. After recovering himself from one of her patented Bat-Bogey hexes Harry lowered his wand.

“Okay, okay, that’s enough for now.”

“Quitting already, old man?” Ginny smirked at him.

Harry grinned at her and quickly turned his wand on her, “Levicorpus!

Ginny suddenly found herself hanging upside down by her ankle. She began laughing as she spluttered for Harry to lower her. The laughter becoming more and more of a squeal as Harry lifted her higher and higher.

“Less of the old if you don’t mind,” he scolded, grinning smugly at the sight of the dangling Ginny.

“Okay, OKAY! Young man! Will you please let me down now?”

“Of course. You only had to ask.” Harry waved his wand “Liberacorpus!

Ginny fell to the floor in an unflattering heap, robes over he head. She glared at Harry, but the scowl on her face soon became a smile.

“We better be heading back to the castle,” Harry said, offering out his hand to help Ginny up.

“Yeah, we better had,” Ginny replied. Taking Harry’s hand and letting him pull her to her feet.

As they reached the edge of the forest Harry stopped walking.

“Harry, something the matter?”

“No. I’m fine,” Harry said, he was staring at Ginny, gazing deep into her big brown eyes.

“We should go,” said Ginny, blushing slightly as Harry’s eyes stared into hers.

“Yeah. You’re right.”

Together they started walking again when Ginny felt Harry slip his hand over hers and she responded, her fingers interlocking with his.

Harry had stopped walking again, Ginny turned to face him. “What now?” she giggled as she squeezed Harry’s hand.

Harry did not answer, he just moved closer to Ginny. Their hands separated as he took her in his arms. Ginny let out a contented sigh as her arms came to a rest around Harry’s neck. They gazed into each other’s eyes. Each of them saw what the other wanted and they lent in to each other at the same time…

“Bit below you isn’t it, Potter? Kissing a Weasley?”

Harry and Ginny separated and reached for their wands. Ginny looked longingly at Harry. His eyes were blazing with furious anger. Pure hatred crackled in his voice as he spoke the name of the person standing in front of them.

“Malfoy.”





A/N - Thats it for Chapter 10, Chapter 11 coming soon! Thanks to Orlaith, my beta!
Chapter Eleven - Fall of the Father by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Eleven “ Fall of the Father



Ginny looked on in disbelief as she stared at Draco Malfoy. Malfoy was one of Hogwarts most notorious pupils. He was partly responsible for the death of the beloved headmaster, Albus Dumbledore, in Ginny’s fifth year. She knew that Malfoy had fled after the fall of Voldemort and that Harry had captured him. His eyes were grey and sunken, yet seemed to sparkle with an evil glint as he looked at Harry.

Harry and Malfoy both had their wands pointing at each other. They had been enemies ever since their first year at Hogwarts. The rivalry intensified until Harry finally captured Malfoy in Little Hangleton.

A sinister smile cracked Malfoy’s face as he looked from Harry to Ginny. She felt repulsed as his eyes landed on her. Ginny looked away from Draco to the silhouettes of two other figures approaching her and Harry. One was tall, with long blonde hair similar to Draco’s. The other was short, round and unkempt. She took a sharp intake of breath as she realised who they were.

“Lucius Malfoy,” Harry said coolly, “I can’t say it is a pleasure.” Harry moved his eyes from Lucius to the short figure standing next to him and cowering slightly.

“YOU!” he screamed as he laid his eyes onto Peter Pettigrew, and he turned his wand away from Draco and pointed it straight at Pettigrew’s heart; Ginny kept her wand firmly on the two Malfoys.

Lucius smiled. “Well, well, well. Potter and the Weasley child.”

“I’m no child!” argued Ginny hotly, raising her wand to Lucius.

Draco scoffed at her. “Put it away, Weasel. You’re not good enough.”

“I’m better than you think, Malfoy!” She went to flick her wand. Harry, however, held out his arm and stopped her.

“No.”

“Harry? What? Why?” Ginny spluttered incoherently. What was he doing? He knew she could handle herself.

Draco began to laugh. “Trouble in paradise eh, Potter?”

Harry turned his wand to Malfoy. “I’d keep quiet if I was you, Malfoy. You’ll be back in Azkaban soon enough.”

Draco looked at his father and they both started to laugh. Pettigrew however was staring at the wand in Harry’s hand.

Ginny thought she heard something from behind her. “Harry?” He cocked his head to listen to her. “I think there’s someone behind us.” Harry nodded.

“Keep your wand on them,” he murmured to her, and he quickly spun around. Seeing no-one there he turned back to the Malfoy’s and Pettigrew, when he heard another voice.

“What’s going on?”

Pettigrew whimpered at the sound of that voice. He knew, as Harry did, to whom the voice belonged.

The figure of Remus Lupin came striding towards them. He took one look at the situation in front of him and whipped out his wand, breaking into a sprint he came to a halt by Harry and Ginny.

Harry spoke again. “Remus, what are you doing out? It’s not safe. It’s nearly full moon.”

Lucius interjected, “Ah yes, the werewolf. Greyback should have finished you as a youth.”

Lupin looked at Lucius with a look of distain and turned back to Harry. “I often come out to the forest to transform. There’s more freedom.”

“Have you taken your potion tonight?” asked Harry, Ginny thought she heard a hint of panic in his voice, but just as she thought that, he flicked the faintest flicker of a smile at her.

“Of course.”

“Then you’ll be able to help us.”

“I shall.”

Pettigrew, who had remained silent since Lupin had arrived, suddenly let out a shriek of fright; the full moon had come out. Lupin howled in agony as his limbs contorted, his hands elongating to become paws, his nose and mouth fused into one and stretched out, becoming a short, stubby snout. H is back arched, forcing his down on all fours, his teeth were bared, and they were also getting much longer, and extremely sharp. The sight of this terrible transformation caused Pettigrew to shriek again, he turned his back on Harry, Ginny, Lupin and the Malfoys, and began to run. He transformed into a rat as he ran into the darkness of the forest.

“NO!” cried Harry as Pettigrew ran. He sent a stunning spell after Pettigrew.

Ginny eyes were on Lupin; he was fully transformed now. For a moment Ginny was worried about him attacking her or Harry. As she thought it though she saw Harry looked at Lupin and nodded his head. Without warning Lupin broke into a sprint and disappeared after Pettigrew into the forest.

Ginny watched him go and looked at Harry. He had turned back to the Malfoys, anger burning in his eyes. Ginny had never seen him so angry; it scared her to look at him. However, when she raised her wand arm, her wand was quite steady.

Harry was staring at the younger Malfoy; his eyes seemed to bore into him. “I’d have thought you’d have known better than this, Draco, don’t you remember what happened last time?”

What Harry had just said seemed to hit a nerve. “Shut it, Potter! You got lucky last time! I’m twice the wizard you are! You’re nothing to me! NOTHING!” Draco was absolutely seething. He seemed ready to lose control at any moment.

“Quiet, Draco, keep calm remember, you need to focus,” Lucius said, looking at his son.

Draco began to pace back and forth in an attempt to keep himself in check. Harry seemed amused by this. “I don’t think Azkaban agreed with you, Draco. You should have a lot of time to get used to it when you’re back there.”

“You’re never sending me back, Potter! You’re not going to have the chance!”

Ginny allowed herself a slight smile, Harry was winning this fight. Draco looked absolutely murderous. Ginny stopped smiling when she realised that a Malfoy looking murderous would more than likely result in an attempt on someone’s life “ especially given Draco’s unstable state of mind.

“So what do you want? You want to try and kill me? Again?” Harry asked, “I’ll be more than happy to take the both of you on right now,” he said, looking at Lucius.

“You’d fight two of the greatest Death Eaters ever known alone?” Lucius scorned.

Harry laughed. “You’re not great. You’re pathetic. You’re nothing more than a pair of incompetent murderers. You got foiled by a group of teenagers in the Department of Mysteries, you remember that, Lucius?”

Lucius flushed. “Certainly not one of my better moments, I agree. I’m more than willing to make up for that failing now. Once you are dead, each and every member of your little army that foiled me will be killed. I assure you.”

“You wouldn’t stand a chance, Lucius.”

“The fact remains that there are two of us and only one of you; unless you’re willing to risk the girl’s life?”

Harry looked at Ginny. He could not ask her to fight against the Malfoys. He had no doubt in her abilities “ he just could not risk losing her.

“Ginny.”

“Yes?”

“Leave. Now. You’re not ready for this.”

“What? No! Harry, I won’t leave you by yourself!” Ginny could not believe what he was telling her. If he thought she was going to leave him alone he had another thing coming.

“Yes, you will!”

“No, she won’t, Potter. I don’t ever recall saying we were here to kill you,” Draco interjected, his eyes narrowing maliciously, his insane smile returning to his face.

Harry was stunned. “What?”

“You heard me. I’d rather kill your little girlfriend than kill you.”

Harry moved and stood in front of Ginny.

“You’re not touching her.”

Lucius Malfoy flicked his wand at Harry and sent a jet of red light towards him as Harry was focused on Draco. Harry was ready however, and deflected it effortlessly.

“You’ll have to do better than that, Lucius.”

Using the distraction to his advantage, Draco Malfoy had managed to sneak to one side, out of Harry’s line out sight. He raised his wand at Harry and Ginny.

Everte Statum!

An invisible force blasted Harry and Ginny apart. Both of them landed roughly. Harry felt a searing pain in his left arm; it was bloody and twisted, clearly broken. The spell had succeeded however, separating him from Ginny. As he struggled to his feet, Harry saw Lucius Malfoy running at him. Harry looked urgently for Ginny, willing her to be safe. He saw her some thirty feet away, defending herself from a barrage of spells from Draco’s wand.

Hold on, Ginny, I’ll be there soon

Harry was back to his feet and he raised his wand to deflect another of Lucius’ spells. The battle was on.




Ginny Weasley was fighting for her life; she’d never fought this intensely before, even in the Department of Mysteries. None of the Death Eaters had attacked her with the ferocity that Draco Malfoy was attacking her with now.

After deflecting a stunning spell from Draco and leaping out of the way of a blast of green light, Ginny decided that she had to do something. She could not hold out against his onslaught forever.

Seeing her opportunity Ginny cast a shield spell and sent a stunning spell back at Draco, he dived for cover and Ginny took the advantage, she sent a stunner of her own after him, he deflected it with ease. Slightly taken aback at how easily he was deflecting her spells, Ginny decided a different plan of attack and attempted the summon Draco’s wand to her.

Accio wand!

Draco was prepared for anything Ginny could throw and him though, and he dismissed her spell almost lazily. It was at that point that Ginny realised that he was more than a match for her. Harry had been right to tell her to leave.

Slowly but surely Draco began to regain the advantage. His spells were much more powerful than Ginny’s. He was toying with her. He knew he was safe as long Harry was busy with Lucius.

Then it happened. As Ginny deflected yet another curse of Malfoys it knocked her off balance, before she could regain her footing Malfoy had attacked again.

SECTUMSEMPRA!” he bellowed, waving his wand in a very unusual zigzag movement.

Ginny staggered backwards, her wand falling to the floor as she lost her grip on it. She coughed, blood coming up out of her mouth. She looked down at her hands, they were covered in blood. The front of her robes were soaked and dark with her blood, and she felt the warm liquid trickling down her face. Her vision blurred as blood ran into her eyes she slumped to her knees; the strength rapidly leaving her body.

Draco Malfoy looked down at her in triumph as she crumpled to the floor. He cast a quick glance towards his father, who seemed to be holding his own against Harry.

Draco bent down and picked up Ginny’s wand, twirling it between his fingers, with a swift crack he snapped it in two. With a malevolent look in his cold grey eyes, Draco pointed his wand at Ginny once again.

Crucio!

Ginny screamed as pain coursed its way over her entire body; she felt her limbs contort with agony. She felt the deep cuts on her body open wider and deeper as the Cruciatus curse rippled over her. She screamed again, this time though she screamed for Harry.

Ginny’s scream cut like a knife through Harry, he had to help her; she would not last much longer. Harry decided it was time to finish this. He deflected another, and another of Lucius’ spells. Then with a roar of fury, he flew into a flurry of offensive spells unlike he had never done before. Lucius either deflected or dodged them, but far from easily. Eventually one of Harry’s spells blasted its way through his dogged defence. Harry’s jet of red light caught him right in the chest; he was blasted away from Harry, and landed on the floor, unconsciousness.

Before Lucius had hit the ground Harry had turned and began to run towards Ginny. Draco had lifted the Cruciatus curse from her, and he had his wand raised once more. He pointed it at Ginny.

AVADA KED…

A jet of red light shooting past him interrupted Draco. He took his eyes from Ginny and saw that Harry was running full pelt towards him, wand outstretched. Without pausing to think of what had happened to Lucius, Draco turned and ran towards the school gates; stunning spells illuminated the night sky with a bright red light as they crackled around him. Draco managed to reach the gates, and as soon as he had done, so he Disapparated immediately.

Harry did not even bother to give chase to Malfoy. As soon as he reached Ginny he fell to his knees by her side, she was lying curled up on the ground, covered in blood. Her scarlet hair was thick with the crimson liquid. Harry immediately took her hand in his and held on, willing her to be okay.

She was in a bad way. The cuts from Malfoys spell had gone deep; the bleeding could not be stopped. Ginny was looking at Harry, her brown eyes with wide with fear, blinking blood out of them. Ginny tried to speak, but did not have the strength.

Harry began to cry, his eyes filling with tears. This was not fair. He could not lose her. Her just could not. He had come to teach at Hogwarts just so he could be around her. He had left the Auror office in charge of the hunt for Malfoy. Being around Ginny again was intoxicating. Harry had found himself thinking of being with her, and now this. She was going to leave him.

Harry felt Ginny squeeze his hand. He looked down at her, wiping tears from his eyes as he did so. Her eyes were closing, her grip on his hand was loosening, her breathing started to slow.

“Ginny. No. Don’t. Please. Come back. I need you,” pleaded Harry.

Her hand slipped from his.

“No!” cried Harry, and he pointed his wand at her, attempting every healing spell that he knew. It was no good. She was too far gone for any of them to have any effect at all.

Closing his eyes and shutting off his mind from his grief Harry went inside of himself, searching for something, anything that might work. Then it hit him. The spell that he had written in the notebook, the spell he had never tried, the spell that might kill both of them. The spell that, until this moment, existed as pure theory, words on a piece of paper.

I’d rather be dead than live my life with Ginny gone, Harry thought.

He pointed his wand at her; a jet of white light emanated from its tip and encased Ginny’s still body, lifting it off of the ground. Another jet of white light surrounded his own body. Harry felt himself getting weaker, he fell to his knees, struggling to control his wand as the beam of light coming from it grew brighter and brighter. Finally the light began to fade, and Ginny’s body fell to the ground as Harry felt everything go dark.




A/N - Thank to my beta Orlaith. I hope you all enjoyed this, it was a hard one to write. Chapter 12 is ready to go.
Chapter Twelve - A Christmas Wish by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter 12 “ A Christmas Wish



Harry Potter was kneeling on the floor of Ginny’s bedroom at the Burrow. He had been there for hours, his knees were raw and painful, but he did not care. He just wanted Ginny back. “Come on, Ginny, wake up, please, you’ve got to wake up,” he cried, his glasses were foggy from the warmth of his tears.

Harry did not even notice the sound of Ginny’s bedroom door opening, nor did he notice the two figures that came through the door.

“Come away mate. We all want her to wake up, and she will, when she’s ready, you can’t stay here like this though. Aren’t your knees sore by now?”

“Ron! Don’t be so insensitive! If Harry wants to stay and talk to Ginny, let him do it.”

Harry could not help but crack a smile as Ron and Hermione bickered. “Thanks, Hermione, Ron. Look, I’ll be downstairs in a couple of minutes. I just want to stay with Ginny for a little while longer. I want to be here if and when she wakes up.”

Ron opened his mouth to argue against that idea but was stopped when Hermione stamped on his foot, as he hopped about the room clutching his foot in pain Hermione looked at Harry.

“Take all the time you need, Harry. Come on, Ron, let’s go help your Mum with the cooking.”

“But mum’s not cook…”

“Now, Ron!”

Ron protested no more and quickly hurried to the door, closely followed by Hermione as she was ushering him away.

Harry watched them leave and he heard the sound of their footsteps as they headed downstairs to the kitchen. When he was satisfied that they were gone he turned back to face Ginny, who was lying on her bed, unmoving, as she had been doing for the past month. Tears welled up in his eyes and his blood boiled as he re-lived the series of events that were responsible for her condition. It was his fault that Malfoy had nearly killed her. He couldn’t protect her. He had failed. He had let someone close to him come to harm, and that was something that Harry could never forgive himself for.

“I need you, Ginny. I need you to tell me it’s all going to be okay. Please, I wish you could wake up. It’s my fault you’re like this. I’m sorry, Ginny. I thought I could help you, I thought I could protect you! I’m sorry!” Harry cried, tears springing to his eyes. Harry sniffed and wiped his tears away, a sad smile on his face. “So much for the famous Harry Potter.”

Harry sat at Ginny’s bedside for another hour, talking to her, looking for any sign of life from her. Eventually Harry got to his feet, rubbing his knees to get some feeling back into them. He sat next to Ginny’s still form on the bed and gave her a kiss on the forehead, with a deep sigh; he left her room and headed downstairs.

Ron, Hermione, Bill, Fleur and Mrs Weasley were all in the kitchen. They were all looking very sombre. The Burrow was unrecognisable from the cheerful place it usually was. Christmas decorations had not been bothered with, unwashed pots and pans stood in the sink and there was the heavy smell of alcohol in the air. Ron was looking very pale, Hermione looked as though she had been crying, Bill was drinking heavily from a glass of Fire Whisky, Fleur was sat in silence, and Mrs Weasley was staring out of the window, as though watching for something, or someone. Harry could just make out the figure of Mr Weasley; he was outside in the yard, tinkering about in his shed, no doubt trying to work out the wonder of ‘eckeltricity’ Harry suspected.

Mrs Weasley looked from the window to Harry as he entered the kitchen. “Any change?” she asked anxiously; the others all fixed their eyes on Harry expectantly.

Harry shook his head. Sadness crossed the faces in the kitchen once again.

“What are you looking at, mum? Asked Ron, as he noticed Mrs Weasley looking out of the window once again.

“Oh. I’m waiting for Charlie to come back, he went to the village “ last minute presents I suppose. Percy should be due any time soon as well.”

Almost as she spoke, Percy Weasley appeared with a loud crack in the middle of the kitchen. Percy was usually immaculately turned out, but Ginny’s condition seemed to be having a bad effect on him too. His robes were dishevelled, his glasses had fingerprints on them, his neat hair was straggly and out of place. Without a word he took a seat in the kitchen and joined the others in staring at the table.

For about an hour there was no sound at all, save for the clicking of glass as Bill drained another glass of Fire Whisky and then poured himself another. After his eighth, (or was it ninth? Harry couldn’t be sure, he had not been keeping much count.) Bill slammed his glass to the table so hard that it shattered, the resulting noise making everybody jump.

“Bill? What in heaven’s name is the matter?” said Mrs Weasley, hurrying over to her eldest son and pulling her wand out to repair the glass.

“I’ll tell you whassa matter,” slurred Bill, the effects of Fire Whisky evident for all to see. “My baby sister is layin’ upstairs, and we don’t know what’s wrong with her.” He staggered, lurching back and forth. “And it’s all his fault!” Bill roared, pointing at Harry.

“Steady on, Bill. It’s not Harry’s fault. It was Malfoy who attacked Ginny. If Harry had not done what he did then she’d probably be dead,” said Percy, trying to restrain Bill, who was attempting to get to Harry.

“Rubbish! If he had got a professional, she’d have been fine! But oh no, not the great Harry Potter! Had to do it all himself!”

Harry had had enough, he felt bad enough without all this. It was bad enough that what Bill was saying was probably true, but the fact that Harry felt the same way just made things worse. He got to his feet to leave. Ron and Hermione were sitting still; they seemed unable to move due to shock. Fleur was crying, Mrs Weasley had gone running out of the house to fetch Mr Weasley, unfortunately it seemed he had gone walkabout, as she returned alone.

“You’re not going anywhere, Harry!” shouted Bill, who now had his wand unsteadily pointing at Harry.

“William Weasley! Put that away at once!” demanded Mrs Weasley. “You’re drunk. You like Harry!”

“Don’t tell me anything like that!” yelled Bill, and he shoved Percy out of his way.

Harry had no choice but to draw his own wand as the oldest Weasley brother advanced on him. He did not want to jinx Bill, but at the same time he did not fancy getting into a fistfight with him either. Harry settled for disarming him, he flicked his wand and Bill’s wand flew out of his hand and into Harry’s. Before he could say anything though Bill was upon him and his fist had made contact with the side of Harry’s head, knocking his glasses from his face. The wands fell from his grasp as Bill grabbed him and threw him to the floor.

Bill was a good five inches taller than Harry, and was fighting in a drunken rage. It was only due to Harry’s Auror training that he was able to fend off most of Bill’s attacks. Ron and Percy had both tried to pull Bill off of him but had received a cut lip and a bruised ear as a result of Bill’s flailing limbs.

Harry thought he heard the door open as he fended off another of Bill’s wild punches. The flurry of fists suddenly stopped and Harry opened his eye, (one was swelled shut where one of Bill’s fist had gotten through) and saw Mr Weasley and Charlie pulling Bill away from him.

“What in blazes is going on here?” roared Mr Weasley, as he struggled to restrain Bill. “Molly. I think you’ll have to stun this one,” he said to his wife. Mrs Weasley, who had been tending to Ron and Percy’s injuries, turned to look at her husband wrestling with Bill. She nodded and pointed her wand at Bill.

Stupefy!” A jet of red light flew from her wands and hit Bill in the chest. He slumped down to the floor. Mr Weasley and Charlie each took one of his arms and attempted to pull him into a chair.

Two loud cracks interrupted proceedings as Fred and George appeared in the kitchen, wearing the magenta robes of Weasley’s Wizard Wheezes. They had big smiles on their faces, which promptly faded once they saw the commotion in the kitchen.

“What’s going on?” asked George, looking at the stunned Bill and then at Harry, who was just getting to his feet.

“I’d say there’d been some sort of disagreement, George,” said Fred.

“I’d be a fool to disagree,” agreed George.

“Quiet you two! Give your father and Charlie a hand!” snapped Mrs Weasley.

Fred and George hurried over to where Mr Weasley and Charlie were struggling to get the unconscious Bill into a sitting position. Between the four of them they managed to hoist him up into a chair.

Mr Weasley sighed and looked at Harry. “You should wait outside while we sober him up.” There was no compassion in his voice, no warmth in his eyes. He was telling Harry to leave.

Harry obeyed and left the house without a word. He headed into the yard and sat underneath a tree, nursing his black eye, he had left his wand in the kitchen so was forced to suffer the inconvenience of having one eye swollen shut. He was in pain and felt at his lowest ebb yet. He cast a look back into the kitchen and saw Charlie wake Bill up. Bill immediately started thrashing about and shouting for Harry. It took all five Weasley brothers and Mr Weasley to restrain him again. Mrs Weasley forced a glassful of a blue-pink potion down his throat. He thrashed about once more and then his whole body seemed to relax and he stopped shouting and looked around confusedly.

I won’t go back in until I’m asked. If I ever am, Harry thought sadly. He looked away from the kitchen window and looked up at the clouds in the sky as snow began to fall. He knew what he had to say to her when she came around. It hurt him to think about it, so instead he dwelled on the fight with Bill.

Way to go, Harry, way to go. Your first Christmas at the Burrow in a year and you fight with Ginny’s brother. Nicely done. Very nicely done. That’ll be something fun to tell Ginny about when she wakes up. If she ever does. I wish she would.




The world was out of focus when Ginny Weasley opened her eyes. Hey eyes felt strained, as if she had not used them for a long time. She sat up in her bed and gave a huge yawn, stretching her arms out above her head. She felt very relaxed. Then she suddenly remembered what had happened at Hogwarts, and she frantically checked herself for injuries however, there were no cuts, bruises, scars, and no marks of any kind. As far as Ginny could tell, she was fine.

Did I dream it all?

Wait a minute. I’m at home, how did I get here?

Where’s Harry?

God I hope he is okay.


Ginny needed to find out just what was going on. She reached under the pillow for her locket but it was not there. Ginny panicking and started searched for it. It was only when she saw herself in the mirror that she noticed she was still wearing the locket. She got up out of bed a little too quickly, and had to sit back down, her legs seemed to have forgotten how to work. She moved them about as she sat on the bed, willing them to work.

She took a deep breath and got to her feet again. Her legs were fine this time and she hurried to her wardrobe. She pulled out her dressing gown and threw it on over the top of her pyjamas. She walked towards her bedroom door but hesitated when she looked out of the window and saw snow falling. Ginny ran her fingers over the locket as she watched the snow fall. Smiling at the sight of the snow she headed out of her room and downstairs to the kitchen. It seemed unusually quiet for the Burrow.

Ginny entered the kitchen, and saw Ron, Hermione, Fleur, Bill, Charlie, Percy, Fred and George all sat at the table. None of them seemed to be speaking; they were all looking at the table. Mrs Weasley was standing at the sink watching the snow fall. Mr Weasley was outside by his shed. Ginny looked around but her heart sank when she saw that Harry was nowhere to be seen. She was sure he would be spending Christmas with them this year.

“Who died?” she asked light-heartedly.

Everybody in the kitchen raised his or her head from the table to look at her. Ginny barely had time to register the looks of relief and joy on their faces before she was nearly crushed by the mass of bodies hugging her. None were hugging her as tightly as Mrs Weasley, who had tears streaming down her face and was shouting at the top of her lungs.

“ARTHUR! ARTHUR, SHE’S AWAKE!”

Mr Weasley came pelting into the kitchen and fought his way through the crowd until he laid eyes on Ginny. He had tears in his eyes and wore the same joyous expression of relief as everyone else. He embraced her as though he had not seen her for a long, long time. Ginny hugged her father, grateful for the attention, but not entirely sure why she was getting it.

“Mum, Dad, what’s going on?” she asked. “Crikey, Bill, let me go!” she said, as Bill hugged her again. He was looking a bit worse for wear. Percy and Ron both were looking a bit rough around the edges as well. Ginny was confused, as she asked again, “What’s going on?”

Mrs Weasley opened her mouth to speak but was still too overcome with emotion and she dissolved into more tears and ran into her husband’s arms.

Ron shook his head and spoke up, “Ginny, you’ve been unconscious for nearly two months now. We had to bring you home from Hogwarts. It was touch and go whether you’d pull through or not. I guess we have Harry to thank for that.” Ron turned away; Ginny thought she saw tears in his eyes as he moved towards Hermione.

“Is Harry here?” Ginny asked quickly.

Everybody looked away from Ginny; Bill was especially keen to avoid her gaze. When no one answered her question she assumed that Harry obviously was not there. Eventually Bill raised his head and looked at Ginny.

“He’s outside.”

That was all Ginny needed to know. She threw open the back door and ran outside, through the snow, looking for Harry. She finally saw him sitting underneath the tree at the back of the yard, his back to the house. She broke into a sprint as she headed towards him.

As Ginny approached Harry her mind started racing. She started thinking about what might have happened had Malfoy not interrupted them. The thought of Harry holding her in his arms was enough to keep Ginny warm even with the snow lashing down upon her.

She stood behind him. He seemed completely unaware of her presence. She decided to sneak quietly up to him, and she waited until he was looking the other way before she sat down next to him. She slipped her hand into his.

Harry leapt up as if he had been shot as Ginny’s hand touched his. “Ginny! You’re okay!”

Ginny gasped as she saw Harry’s face. His eye was blackened and swollen. “Harry! What happened to your eye?”

Harry reached a hand to his face. “Oh. That was Bill.”

“Bill? But why?”

“He had one too many Fire Whisky’s and decided that it was my fault that you were in a bad way,” Harry said, declining to mention that he had thought the same thing more than once.

Ginny gasped. She could not believe that Bill and Harry had had a fight. Bill was probably the most level headed of all her brothers.

Harry meanwhile, was smiling. “I’m glad you’re okay. His face cracked into a huge smile, and his unswollen eye had a twinkle in it.

Ginny was back on her feet now. “I understand I’ve got you to thank for that.”

Harry smiled even wider, “My pleasure.” He swept her up in his arms as he spoke.

Ginny loved being held by Harry. She closed her eyes and lent into him, waiting for the kiss that was sure to come. To her disappointment though, it did not arrive. Instead Harry let her go.

“Merry Christmas, Ginny.” He smiled at her.

Ginny’s eyes widened. “It’s Christmas? Nobody told me! You can’t even tell in there!” she said, gesturing at the house behind her. “Its lucky I bought all my presents early this year. Let’s get back to the house then!”

She started to head back towards the house. She stopped however when she realised that Harry was not following her. He had turned his back to her and was gazing at the sky once again.

“Harry, come on.”

“I can’t go back inside. I’m not welcome.”

Almost at that exact moment Mrs Weasley leaned out of the window and shouted to them, “Get in here you two! You’ll freeze out there!”

Ginny smiled at Harry. “See. You’re always welcome,” she said, offering a hand to Harry. He did not take it, but he walked back to the house with her.

When they got through the door, the house was totally unrecognisable from the place it had been earlier. Mrs Weasley was cooking up a storm. Christmas decorations hung from every available inch. Ginny rushed into the living room where a huge tree was standing with piles of presents underneath it. Fleur was sitting on the floor laughing at Fred and George as they took in turns to transfigure various parts of Percy’s body.

Back in the kitchen, Ron was stuffing his face with Mince pies; Hermione was watching him with a disapproving look on her face. Bill and Charlie had their wands out and were making two turkey legs fight on the kitchen table. Bill lowered his wand when he saw Harry enter and that allowed Charlie’s drumstick to knock Bill’s completely off of the table.

Bill got to his feet and headed towards Harry, Harry bunched his fists inside his robes just in case but as Bill approached he extended a hand towards Harry, which he shook.

“Sorry about that, Harry. No hard feelings?”

Harry thought that was a bit of a cheek, but it was Christmas and he did not want to fight with Bill again in a hurry. “Sure. No hard feelings.”

Mrs Weasley had stopped cooking to watch Harry and Bill, when it became clear that they were not going to start fighting again, she smiled. “That’s better. No more fighting.” Mrs Weasley hurried over to Harry. “Now let’s fix that eye of yours, dear,” she said, flourishing her wand.

“That’s fine, Mrs Weasley. I’ll do it myself, my wand is just over there,” Harry protested, attempting to reach his wand. Before he could say anything else, Mrs Weasley had waved her wand and Harry felt the swelling around his eye go down immediately; light filled his eye as it opened, it quickly found Ginny, who looked even more beautiful when looked at with both eyes, Harry decided.

Mrs Weasley stepped back, and let out a satisfied sigh. “That ought to do it. Now let’s go and join the others in the living room. There are still presents to open.”

Harry, Ginny, Bill and Mrs Weasley all bustled into the living room to join Ron, Hermione, Charlie, Percy, Fleur, Fred and George. Mr Weasley had also arrived in the living room and had a look of relief on his face at the sight of Harry and Bill not fighting. Harry found himself a nice little spot on the floor opposite Ginny and next to Charlie.

“I’m surprised you haven’t already opened the presents,” Ginny said, casting a look at Fred and George, who smiled and wore looks of mock outrage.

“Of course not, dear, we were waiting, just in case…” said Mrs Weasley.

“In case I woke up?”

“We had hoped that you might, its Christmas after all,” said Mrs Weasley, with a big smile on her face.

The living room of the Burrow was soon strewn with wrapping paper, as present after present was opened.

Hermione was admiring the golden bangle that Ron had bought her, which was now adorning her wrist; she was also looking delighted with the set of advanced Transfiguration books that Harry had bought for her.

Ron was wearing his Chudley Cannons replica robes, which Hermione had bought for him; he was also attempting to eat his way through a huge box of Every-Flavour Beans that Harry had given him.

“Your turn, Ginny,” said Ron thickly, through a mouthful of peppermint bean, “Lets see what you got.”

Ginny opened her present from Ron and Hermione, it was a set of Dragon pearl earrings, she put them on immediately and modelled them for the crowd. Harry then passed her the present that he had got for her.

“Merry Christmas, Ginny.” He smiled at her.

“Thanks, Harry!” Ginny said excitedly, as she carefully unwrapped a long, thin, velvet box, she opened it and inside was…

“A new wand!” she cried, “Thank you so much, Harry! Mum look it’s a new wand!” She gave it a cursory wave and made Ron’s packet of Every Flavour Beans jump up and down.

“Hazel and Unicorn Hair, 10¾ inches,” Harry explained. “Mr Ollivander said if there was a problem you could take it back and get a different one, one better suited to you, but he seemed sure this one would do the trick.”

“It’s perfect, Harry, thank you,” Ginny said earnestly, looking deep into Harry’s eyes, and ignoring the sniggers from Fred and George.

After the presents had been opened and all of the mess had been tidied away, Mrs Weasley announced that it was time for dinner. There was not enough room for everybody in the kitchen so Harry and Ron set the tables up outside while Charlie conjured a huge tent to cover them all. Ginny and Hermione watched from the doorway, each watching the man they loved hard at work.

“Hermione?” Ginny asked, “What happened to Lupin?” With all the excitement of Christmas she had totally forgotten to ask Harry.

Hermione tore her eyes away from Ron. “He’s not back yet. Harry says that he is tracking Pettigrew.”

“So is Harry teaching Defence Against the Dark Arts full time?”

“No. The Auror office wanted him to stand by in case Malfoy or Pettigrew are found. As far as I know Defence Against the Dark Arts had been suspended until Lupin returns.”

“Oh right,” said Ginny miserably, she had been hoping to see more of Harry at school, but it seemed extremely unlikely now. “One more thing. What happened to Lucius Malfoy?”

Hermione was looking at Ron again, watching him and Harry mess about like they did at school, bewitching snowballs to fly at each other. “He’s back in Azkaban. After Draco Malfoy fled, Flitwick and Slughorn came down to investigate, they must have gotten quite a shock when they saw Lucius lying in the school grounds,” Hermione said, smiling as one of Harry’s snowballs flew right down Ron’s shirt; the sight of him dancing about as the cold snow seeped down his back was very funny. “Anyway, I think its time for dinner now. Let’s go,” she said as she watched Harry and Ron put their wands away and head into the tent. Hermione and Ginny also headed into the tent. Hermione sat down next to Ron, Ginny sat opposite Harry.

After a long and filling Christmas dinner. The Weasley’s decided to retire back indoors; it was very cold outside. Harry however, asked Ginny to remain outside.

“Harry, what’s the matter?” she asked, wondering why he had asked her to stay behind.

“Nothing is the matter. I just thought that maybe it was time for another one on one lesson.”

Her heart leapt a little at the thought of being alone with Harry, but sank at the thought of studying.

“Harry, I don’t think I need to learn any more spells right now,” Ginny replied tactfully, as she watched the snowflakes perform their gentle dance on the edge of the wind, before landed gracefully on the floor.

“I wasn’t talking about spells. I was talking about…” Harry disappeared suddenly and reappeared behind Ginny, “…Apparition,” he finished.

“Oh…in that case, I accept your offer,” said Ginny, with a touch of embarrassment in her voice and a smile on her face.

“Let’s get out of the tent, it helps to have lots of room for this.”

Once they were outside Harry waved his wand and the tent disappeared. Harry then went about explaining to Ginny the art of Apparition. He told her all about the three D’s “ Destination, Determination, and Deliberation, and how you needed all three to successfully Apparate, that is to say, without Splinching yourself.

Ginny gave it a try. She spun on the spot, and fell to the floor. She looked up at Harry and saw he was chuckling at her. She got up with a fierce look on her face, she fixed her mind on where she wanted to go, and she was determined to get there. She spun on the spot and disappeared with a loud CRACK, with another loud CRACK she reappeared above Harry and fell down on him, sending them both to floor. They both burst out laughing.

“Well done!” congratulated Harry. “Not perfect, but it’s a start. Let’s see you do it again.

Ginny did so, and this time she Apparated perfectly.

Harry gave her a clap. “Very good. Let’s see how well you do have it though. I’m going to Apparate to different places around the garden. I want you to follow me,” and he Disapparated in front of her.

Harry and Ginny played this game for the better part of an hour, when they stopped disappearing and reappearing all over the garden and inside the Burrow; they sat down together, smiles on both of their faces. Ginny slipped her hand into Harry’s, but he drew his away.

Ginny’s mind was racing. I need to talk to him.

She took a deep breath and spoke. “Harry, how do you feel about me?”

He looked taken aback, clearly unprepared for her to have asked him that.

“You know how I feel about you.”

“No, I don’t. I know how you felt about me. How do you feel about me now?”

“Umm, err, Ginny, me and you…I’m not sure it’s such a good idea.”

“What?” That was not the answer she had expected. “Why not?” She could feel herself getting madder and madder. How dare he do this to her! After everything they had gone through, he was having second thoughts?

“For the same reason it didn’t work in sixth year. You’re always in danger. I’d have thought Malfoy would have proved that to you.”

“It WAS working in school. You never gave it a chance! You left me! Convinced it was for the best, you broke my heart then! Then you asked me to marry you when you defeated Voldemort, I said no, and you spent the whole of your seventh year not talking to me. Then you leave school and still you didn’t speak to me!”

“I sent you letters! You never answered them!”

“The things we had to talk about couldn’t be answered in a letter!”

Harry opened his mouth to argue more but fell silent. Ginny was not stopping though.

“I don’t know what to think of you, Harry! You drive me crazy. You’ve been leading me on all through school and now you don’t want to know!”

“Ahem.” Harry and Ginny spun around; Ron was standing there, looking very uncomfortable.

“What do you want?” Ginny shot at him.

“Harry, I’ve just had word from the Auror office. Malfoy has been spotted.”

“Where?” Harry demanded, getting to his feet at once.

“Godric’s Hollow.”

“Godric’s…what the hell is he doing there? We better get going.”

“I’ll wait for you inside, when you’re ready,” said Ron and he walked back into the Burrow, rather quicker than usual as he saw the fury etched on Ginny’s face.

Harry turned to look at Ginny.

“Harry, you can’t just leave. What about us?” Ginny started.

“Ginny, look, I’ve got to go. I have to stop him.”

“Don’t you dare,” she said dangerously.

“I’ve got to.”

“Fine, go, get out, and TAKE THIS WITH YOU!” she screamed at him, and ripped the locket from her neck, and threw it at him, he caught it and looked at it sadly, then put it inside his robes and headed up to the house where Ron and Hermione were waiting for him in the kitchen.

“Ready?” asked Ron.

“Lets do it,” Harry replied.

“Good luck, the both of you. Please be careful,” Hermione said, hugging Harry and then kissing Ron goodbye.

Ron turned and disappeared with a crack leaving Harry alone in the kitchen with Hermione.

“How did things go with Ginny?” she asked.

“They could have gone better,” Harry said truthfully. “I’ve got to go.”

Harry cast one last look at Ginny as before he disappeared. He could see tears rolling down her freckled face. His heart heavy with sadness, Harry turned and Disapparated.


A/N - Well thats that for Chapter 12, hope you all enjoyed it! Sorry about the delay! Thanks to Orlaith, my fantabulous Beta!
Chapter Thirteen - Godric's Hollow by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Thirteen “ Godric’s Hollow


Harry Potter had arrived just outside Godric’s Hollow and immediately drew his wand, if Draco Malfoy was indeed here, then he’d have to be at his sharpest. He looked around at the place; he had been here once before, just before confronting Voldemort. He had decided to start his search on the outskirts of the village. There was a loud crack and Ron appeared beside him, he too drew his wand.

“How’d you manage to get here first? I left before you,” Ron asked Harry.

Harry shushed him. “It’s not the time or place for that. Eyes open, okay, Ron?”

“Yes Sir! Mr Potter, Sir!” Ron replied, sarcasm drenching every word, he smirked at Harry. “We better get looking.”

Harry nodded in agreement. “Let’s go.”

Harry and Ron walked towards the village of Godric’s Hollow. Harry found himself imagining what it would have been like to have grown up in his own house, with his mum and dad. He smiled at he thought of them; his smile was cut short however, when Ron decided to interrupt.

“Harry? We’re friends, right?”

Harry looked at Ron incredulously; after all they had been through together Ron felt like he had to ask Harry if they were friends. Had things got this bad? Harry thought, before replying, “Of course we are. Always have been. Always will be.” He smiled.

Ron did not smile. “Right, so tell me, what is going on between you and Ginny?”

Harry stared stupidly at Ron for a minute. He was certainly not prepared to talk to Ron about the mess he was in over Ginny. “Nothing,” he lied.

“Don’t lie to me, Harry. I’m not stupid.”

Harry sighed; he was doing Ron a disservice by not telling him. “We’re not together.”

“I know that much. Why not though? It’s plain for us all to see. She wants you. You want her.”

“I know. But we can’t have each other.”

“Why not, Harry? Answer me!” Ron snapped. He was beginning to go red around the ears.

“Ron…You’re right. I do want Ginny. I love her. But as long as I have enemies, me and her can never be together. It’s too dangerous. She wouldn’t be safe.”

Ron looked a mixture of shocked and confused. “You love her?”

“‘Course I do. I have since sixth year.”

“But…last year…you and her…not talking? Why?”

Harry’s mind raced. He was not ready to tell Ron that he had proposed to Ginny. “We had an argument. I thought it would be best to stay out of her way.”

“Well…I can understand that. But, Harry, you know that if anybody could keep her safe, it would be you.”

Harry and Ron both fell silent after that, Ron was looking at his feet sheepishly.

Harry took the initiative to change the subject. “How about you and Hermione, eh? Must be about a year by now?”

Ron went bright red. “Fourteen months actually.”

Harry laughed. “Well…it only took the both of you the best part of seven years to realise you belonged together. I thought you were never going to ask her out!”

“You mean…you knew?”

“Ron, mate, the whole damn school knew. Your family knew. Everyone knew.”

Ron went an even brighter shade of red and laughed nervously, “That obvious, huh?”

Harry sniggered. “Yes, mate, it was.”

Ron and Harry both stopped walking and laughed together, neither would have admitted it, but they missed times like this, just being boys together, laughing and just having fun.

Ron cleared his throat, “You know, I really thought you and Hermione would get together.”

Harry laughed again. “Nah, that would never have worked!”

Ron laughed too. “Yeah, but I wasn’t alone in thinking it. I’m sure a lot of people thought so too! It makes sense, the most famous boy in school and the smartest girl in school.”

Harry stopped laughing. “No way! What? Are you being serious? Well…that ship has sunk hasn’t it? You’re with Hermione, at long last. I’m happy for you two, mate.”

Ron grinned. “Thanks, Harry. You know I wouldn’t have minded if you asked her out, better you than say… Malfoy.”

Harry burst out laughing once again. “Now that really is messed up. I don’t think that would ever have happened. Not unless Hermione went through some major changes. In fact, she’d have to be a whole new Hermione to go out with that slimeball.”

Ron burst out laughing as well, and the two of them stood together, howling with laughter. This continued for the better part of five minutes until Harry suddenly remembered why they were there.

“Speaking of that slimeball, we better split up and look for him. I’ll take the right, you go left,” Harry said, pointing at a fork in the road. “If you spot him or get into any trouble, shoot up red sparks okay?”

Ron sighed. “I know the drill, Harry. This isn’t the first time we’ve been out together you know.”

Harry looked at him, he didn’t want to correct him, but this was the first time he and Ron had been out on assignment together. Harry usually worked alone; it was how he used to like it. Being around Ginny again had wrought changes in him. He was far more relaxed and approachable that he had been throughout last year.

“Good luck, Ron. And for heaven’s sake, be careful, else Hermione will have my head,” Harry said.

Ron sniggered. “Don’t worry. Good luck to you too, mate. First one to catch him buys the drinks?”

“You’re on.”

Harry looked on as Ron disappeared up the left road and into the approaching night. Harry took the right path and followed in for a good ten minutes. It did not seem to be going anywhere apart from into thicker and thicker grass, suddenly though, Harry emerged from the thicket and took a look at the village in front of him. He had lived here for one year of his life. It was on a cold Halloween seventeen years ago that Voldemort had came to this village, with the idea of destroying the child he believed was the one prophesised to destroy him. Harry had lost his parents that night, and was left with nothing but a scar on his forehead. His hand unconsciously went to his scar as he thought about it.

Harry continued walking through the village, searching for Malfoy. So far he had seen no evidence that Draco Malfoy had ever been here, be it recently or in the past.

This is pointless, he’s not here. Harry thought to himself, and he allowed his mind to wander onto other issues; issues that were playing heavily on his mind.

I wish Ginny could understand. I want to be with her more than I’ve ever wanted anything. She makes me feel warm, safe, and alive. I can’t risk losing her. If there was some way that I could keep her safe and be with her, then I would do it. I’m not putting her at risk so I can have the girl I want.

Another voice seemed to come into Harry’s head just then.

The girl of your dreams, Harry. Not just any old girl. This isn’t a Cho we’re talking about here. You’re going to have to decide. Have some faith in yourself. You know you could keep her safe if you really wanted to. Ron’s right.

Harry shook his head as if to shake the conflicting thoughts loose. He needed to be absolutely focused on the task at hand.

Having cleared his head of Ginny (for the moment at least), Harry continued to walk through the sleepy village. It was now pitch black. Suddenly he came to a stop as he saw it; the house he had lived with his parents in, for all too brief a time. The house had been left in ruins the night Voldemort came for Harry, it had since been rebuilt, and by the look of it, had a new family living there.

Letting his curiosity overtake his better judgement Harry decided he wanted to have a look around his old house. He pulled his invisibility cloak from his pocket and put it on. Safe in the knowledge that nobody could see him, Harry walked up to the door of his old house and tried it; naturally, it was locked.

You should stop now, Harry. It’s locked. Look for Malfoy, the voice inside his head spoke again.

Harry ignored the voice and pointed his wand at the door, the lock came undone with a click and Harry pushed the door open. Harry had an expression of utter disgust on his face as he walked through the house. Whoever lived there now decided it was a good idea to paint the walls a lurid green colour, which would have been bad enough, but when the house also had purple carpets, it was enough to make almost anyone slightly ill.

Harry continued his walk through his old house. He found himself thinking of his parents, wondering if he was standing on the spot where Voldemort had killed his father, as James Potter attempted to fight him long enough to give his wife and their young son a chance to escape.

Harry began to head upstairs but once again he heard the voice in his head, telling him it was a bad idea and that he had another reason for being here. Harry deciding it highly unlikely that Malfoy would be hiding in his parent’s old house, turned around and headed back through the front door, locking it as he left.

As Harry stepped outside, he looked up into the night sky. The full moon was clearly visible, it looked big enough to reach out and touch.

Wherever Remus is, I hope he’s staying out of trouble, Harry thought to himself. He had not heard from Remus since he had told Harry that he was tracking Pettigrew. Harry hoped that Lupin had managed to find a supply of Wolfsbane potion.

Walking towards the back of the village, his path lit by moonlight, Harry knew what was at the back of the village. He had visited his parent’s graves there last time he was in Godric’s Hollow. Harry stopped walking as he approached the graveyard, there was a figure there, tall and hooded, sitting on one of the gravestones.

Harry broke into a sprint at the sight of the figure. “MALFOY!” he hollered.

Harry was out of breath by the time he arrived by the gravestone the figure had been sitting on; the hooded individual was nowhere to be seen.

“Damn it!” Harry shouted out loud, he was angry with himself, if that was Malfoy he had escaped again.

Harry looked down at the gravestone where he stood. He recognised it and tears sprang to his eyes as he looked down at his parent’s grave. Harry knelt down beside the black marble stone and ran his fingers over the names engraved upon it in the golden lettering. The graveyard was completely silent, save for the occasional cawing of a nearby raven.

The cawing suddenly stopped and Harry looked up from his parent’s grave, the raven had disappeared, scared perhaps, by the hooded figure who now stood behind Harry.

“Having a nice chat with the folks eh, Potter?”

Harry shot to his feet and drew his wand as the hooded figure pulled back their hood. Sure enough, the pale, pointed face of Draco Malfoy was underneath.

“Malfoy,” Harry hissed.

“Come to pay your respects, Potter? Don’t worry, you’ll be joining them, and your little Weasel girlfriend soon,” Draco smirked, his eyes narrowing maliciously.

Harry snorted, his eyes burning into Malfoy. “You’ve got it wrong, Malfoy. You couldn’t finish Ginny, you won’t finish me.”

Malfoys eyes narrowed. “So… the Weasel girl survived. No matter, I don’t need her to beat you - you got lucky the last time.”

“Luck had nothing to do with it, Malfoy. You’ve never been able to beat me. What makes you think you can now? If I was you I’d be giving up right about now.”

“Still so cocky, Potter. I learned the Dark Arts from the Dark Lord himself. I killed that lunatic Moody and that pathetic excuse of an Auror, Shacklebolt.” Malfoy’s sinister smile grew wider as he remembered the deaths; his eyes narrowed even further. “Who have you killed?”

“I don’t need to kill, Malfoy. You, like Voldemort before you, you fail to understand there are worse things than death.”

“There is nothing worse than death, so save your breath, Potter; there won’t be much of it left when I’m done with you.”

“Bring it on, Draco. I’m sure Lucius will be eager for some company in Azkaban.” Harry grinned. “Oh and for the record, its pathetic of you to take credit for killing Alastor, he was already dying from fending off Avery and Nott, you attacked him from behind, gave him no chance. Yeah, you certainly beat him didn’t you.” Harry paused as he watched Draco flush with anger. Grinning further, Harry continued to goad him, “And Kingsley, yes, well, its easy to use poison on somebody, isn’t it? I understand he still gave you a thrashing up until the point when the poison reached his heart. You’re rubbish, Malfoy, admit it.”

“I’m past caring, Potter. People may think of me as a failure, but that will all change when you are dead.”

Harry had just opened his mouth to reply when Malfoy spun and disappeared, reappearing behind Harry, his wand pointed at Harry’s back. He shot a blast of red light at him.

Harry spun on the spot and flourished his wand, deflecting Draco’s stunning spell far into the night sky. “Nice try, Malfoy, but you’ll have to do better that than,” said Harry, flicking his own wand at Malfoy, a jet of water squirted from the tip and hit Malfoy in the face.

“Don’t mock me, Potter. I will kill you!” shouted Malfoy, his face dripping with water, his grey eyes burning with a furious rage that threatened to burst free at any moment.

“Oh really? Is that why you’re doing such a good job of it right now?” Harry said, Apparating and Disapparating on the other side of the graveyard.

Draco walked towards Harry and raised his wand, he bought it down in an arc, slashing at the ground beneath him; the ground was scorched where Malfoys wand had touched. Harry raised his wand as the ground beneath him began to shake. Harry felt something grab his leg and he looked down in horror; a grey hand, maggot-ridden and rotten had closed its fingers around his ankle. The ground continued to shake as the bodies of the dead begun to climb from their graves. He looked up and saw a look of triumph crossing Malfoy’s pale face.

“Die, Potter! There’s no Dumbledore to save you from the Inferi this time!”

Harry twirled his wand around his fingers almost lazily. A circle of flame burst from its tip, surrounding him. The hand holding his leg released its grip and dove back into the ground, as the fire burned hotter the other Inferi sank back into the ground, leaving Harry and Draco alone once again. Harry twirled his wand again and extinguished the fire coming from it. Harry heard a crack and saw Malfoy disappear once again; he looked around frantically, his wand at the ready.

Imperio!” whispered Malfoy, who had reappeared behind a gravestone near Harry.

Harry did not even see the spell coming, it hit him and Harry felt the floating sensation as every thought and worry in his head was wiped away, leaving him with nothing but a feeling of untraceable happiness that occurred when under the Imperius Curse.

Drop your wand. Malfoy’s voice was audible in his head, commanding him to do as he said.

No, said another voice, Harry’s voice.

Drop your wand!

No!

DROP YOUR WAND!

NO!!!


“No!” shouted Harry, as he broke free of the Imperius Curse. Harry felt all his thoughts and memories come flooding back to him. He turned to face Malfoy, who had a panicked expression on his face; he clearly had not been expecting Harry to break the curse so easily.

Serpensortia!” Malfoy shouted, waving his wand madly.

A long black snake flew from his wand and headed for Harry, fangs bared. Harry gave the tiniest of flicks with his wand and watched as the snake burst into flame and disintegrated.

“I told you, Malfoy, you can’t beat me. Give yourself up.”

“Never, Potter. You’re not sending me back to Azkaban, if that’s what you think. I’ll finish you here just like the Dark Lord finished your parents!”

That was it for Harry, he completely lost his cool. “Don’t you ever talk about my parents!” he roared at Malfoy, sparks flying from the end of his wand.

Too late he realised that the temporary distraction was what Draco was looking for. Too late he saw Draco’s wand pointed at him. Before he knew what had hit him Harry was laying on the floor, tightly bound by thin ropes. Draco was standing over him; looking at Harry with a look of loathing he lifted his foot and stamped hard on Harry’s face, shattering his nose, spraying blood everywhere.

Draco began to laugh, softly at first, his eyes getting gradually more and more intense as he laugh became longer and harder until he was roaring madly with laughter. “Oh. The great Potter. That was too easy. Who’d have thought that would happen twice! I think it felt even better this time! Do you miss your mummy and daddy?”

Malfoy stopped laughing suddenly. His cold grey eyes were fixed on Harry’s. “You ruined my life, Potter. I won’t stop until I’ve ruined yours. I think we’ll start by say…having you watch as I kill Weasley. Yes. That will be a good start.” Draco waved his wand and Harry found himself pulled to his feet, still tightly bound. Draco walked up to him and punched him hard in the face. “Red sparks, wasn’t it?” Draco waved his wand once more and sent Harry flying across the graveyard, landing in a heap by a leafless tree.

Harry groaned, his glasses were broken and cutting into his face, the glass was dangerously near his eyes. He had to do something. He realised he still had his wand in his hand; it was tightly bound to his leg. A plan formed in his head as Draco raised his wand and shot red sparks into the air.

CRACK!

Ron had appeared almost instantly, wand ready. His eyes went wide at the sight of Harry tied up and he rushed over to untie him, he did not even notice Draco standing to his left.

Expelliarmus!” said Malfoy casually. Ron’s wand flew from his hand into the long grass surrounding the graveyard.

“Malfoy!” Ron hissed.

“Well well, Weasley, who’d have thought that you had what it takes to become an Auror?” Draco grinned smugly at Ron, whose face was beginning to go red. “I may have failed in my attempt to kill your filthy sister, but I will not fail to kill you, and once you are dead, I think I’ll kill your father, god knows he has caused enough trouble!” Draco raised his wand to strike Ron down but before he could utter a spell Ron was upon him, tackling him to the floor and raining blows down with his fists.

“You leave my family alone, Malfoy!” yelled Ron, as he continued to rain punches down on Malfoy.

For all his manic punching and obscene language Ron had failed to notice that Draco still held his wand, he managed jab it into Ron’s ribcage. Ron winced in pain as the wand dug into him, sensing an opportunity, Draco muttered an inaudible spell and Ron was blasted away from him, he sailed at least twenty feet and crashed through the wall of the nearby church with a sickening crunch.

Harry meanwhile had managed to cast a cutting spell and managed to find way out of the ropes. He threw his broken glasses to one side. Seeing what had happened to Ron, Harry sprinted across the graveyard towards Malfoy, his wand outstretched, flecks of blood flying from his nose as he ran.

Malfoy turned and saw Harry coming at him; with a smile on his face he flipped a cocky salute to Harry and Disapparated.

Harry arrived at the spot where Malfoy had been a second too late. “Damn it! He’s gone again!” Harry let loose a verbal tirade just then which put Ron’s earlier blast at Malfoy to shame.

Ron let out a groan, and Harry suddenly remembered that Ron was still in the graveyard. Harry rushed to the church wall, which now had a hole in the side of it. Lying inside the church, looking very dazed and confused, was Ron. He had a large cut on the back of his head, and his right arm hung limply at his side, but apart from that he seemed fine. Harry leaned down and helped Ron to his feet.

Ron held a hand to the back of his head. “Did you get him?”

Harry sighed. “Nah. He Disapparated before I could get to him.”

“Son of a…I guess that means nobodies buying the drinks this time.”

Harry laughed. “Come on, Ron, Lets get you back to the Burrow.”

Ron shook his head, “I need my wand first; I think its over in that patch of grass.” he said, pointing with his left arm.

“I’m not searching through that in this darkness,” said Harry, holding his own wand aloft. “Accio Wand!” Ron’s wand flew from the patch of grass of into Harry’s waiting hand, he flipped it over and handed it back to Ron, who promptly used it to fix his broken arm.

“Thanks for that, Harry.”

“No problem. Ah yeah, I could have done your arm, sorry about that.”

“It’s no problem. Got other things on your mind?”

“Yeah,” said Harry, summoning and repairing his glasses as he spoke. “You better get back to the Burrow.”

Ron looked at Harry with a quizzical expression on his face. “You’re not coming?”

Harry thought about it for a moment, and put his hand inside his robes, he ran his fingers over the locket Ginny had thrown at him before they left.

“No, I’m going to head back to Grimmauld Place for a little while. I’ve got to get my head around some things. Tell everyone to have a Happy New Year.”

“It’s been a fun Christmas eh, Harry? Just like old times,” Ron said, with a grin very reminiscent of Fred and George. “Don’t stay gone too long Harry.”

With that, Ron turned and Disapparated with a loud crack.

Harry did not Disapparate straight away. He walked back to his parent’s grave.

Hi Mum, Dad.

I’m sorry I haven’t been to visit you much. You probably know that I’ve been busy. Anyway that’s no excuse. I wish you were both here. I need some help.

There’s this girl…Ginny Weasley, I’m totally crazy about her. But I can’t be with her…could I? I don’t want to risk losing her, but I can’t risk not being with her. What am I supposed to do? I don’t know if I could protect her or not… I think I could… I don’t know.

Help me out.


Harry turned to leave but stopped suddenly, he turned back to look at his parents gravestone, was it just his imagination…or was the ‘O’ in Potter glowing? Harry knelt down to have a closer look; it was definitely glowing, the golden letter was glowing, it seemed like something was being pushed from the gravestone. Watching open-mouthed Harry placed his hand underneath the ‘O’; whatever it was that was coming out he was going to catch. Harry felt something drop into his hand and then as suddenly as it had started the golden ‘O’ stopped glowing. Harry got to his feet and opened his hand; sitting in the middle of his palm was a small band of gold, Harry brought it closer to his eyes, it bore an inscription upon it: -

I’ve got everything I’ll ever need in you.

Harry smiled as he looked at his parent’s names on their gravestone.

Thanks Mum. Thanks Dad. I love you.

Looking at the ring in his hand Harry turned and Disapparated. He felt things were a lot clearer now.


A/N - Thats the end of Chapter 13, hope you enjoyed it!
Chapter Fourteen - Seeking More Than the Snitch by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.


Chapter Fourteen “ Seeking More Than the Snitch



Ginny Weasley found herself in detention for the third time this week; she had not been paying attention in Charms, and had accidentally managed to make half the desks in the classroom run out of the room in fright, when she was supposed to be making them dance a jig in front of the class.

As she wrote her lines, ’I must not frighten the desks’, she allowed her mind to wander onto other things including the upcoming Quidditch match against Slytherin, where she could finally get some revenge against Colm Lucas. Whoever won that match would win the Quidditch cup, and Ginny, in her first and last year as Gryffindor Captain, desperately wanted that cup. Mainly though, she thought about Harry; she hadn’t seen him since their argument at Christmas. Ginny knew that Harry had been in contact with Ron and Hermione, but every time she attempted to speak to either of them about him they mysteriously had something else to do.

Ginny sighed, she missed Harry desperately; all she wanted to do was say she was sorry for what happened at Christmas.

Well…that’s not all I want to do. she giggled to herself.

Ginny looked up and out of the window, it was a sunny May evening and she could hear the students outside talking loudly and laughing. Taking her eyes from the window, Ginny looked at the old clock hanging on the wall; it was ten to six, and her detention was nearly over. Ginny did not feel like eating dinner tonight (it was due to pre-match nerves, though she would never admit it) and she planned to go straight to the Gryffindor Common Room as soon as she could.

Today had been a long day, long and uneventful. Fridays were usually amongst the busiest days of the week, but since Lupin and Harry both disappeared and caused Defence Against the Dark Arts classes to be suspended, the students taking the subject at N.E.W.T level were left with a lot of free time.

Just as well, Ginny thought, the exams were in a little over a month. None of the N.E.W.T Defence Against the Dark Arts students were worried though, they were all sure that they had learned enough from Lupin and Harry to comfortably pass their exams.

Ginny looked up at the clock again and saw that it was now six o’clock. She threw her quill into her bag and left the piece of parchment bearing her lines on Professor Flitwick’s desk, which gave the tiniest shudder of fear when Ginny approached it.

After being harassed by Peeves the Poltergeist on her way back to the common room, Ginny decided she would settle down in one of the comfortable chairs by the fire and finish her Transfiguration homework.

When she arrived, Ginny saw that the common room was empty; she suspected that everybody was still at dinner. She pulled one of the chairs up to her and withdrew her quill, a textbook and a long piece of parchment from her bag, opening the textbook to page three-hundred and thirty-four, Ginny began to read.

After a couple of minutes Ginny began to feel tired, Transfiguration was not a fun subject to read about. She decided to give her homework a rest for a moment. She put her textbook and piece of parchment to one side and set down her quill. Ginny stared into the fire, watching the flames dance and lick over the logs, she began to feel extremely drowsy…Ginny’s eyes snapped open as the fire in front of her grew large and roared emerald green.

What’s going on? Nobody can come through the Hogwarts fireplaces, she thought frantically.

Ginny gasped as she saw Harry appear in the flames, clear as day, he extended a hand to her and she took it, letting herself be pulled into the fire. Ginny’s head spun as she travelled through the Floo Network. The spinning began to slow as Ginny gradually came to a halt, she stumbled out of the fireplace and looked around; she was in Grimmauld Place, but it was not how she remembered it, where it had once been dark and dank it was now light and dry, it was liveable, and when she looked next to her, she saw Harry standing next to her.

“Harry? What’s going on?” she said.

Harry said nothing, he merely raised a finger to his lips.

Ginny fell silent as Harry took her hand in his and pulled her into him, his face was close to her, she could see into his eyes, she saw herself there. Ginny closed her eyes and lent into Harry…

“Ginny! Ginny, wake up!”

Ginny opened her eyes, Colin Creevy stood in front of her, fanning her with a piece of parchment. “Colin…what? Where’s Harry?”

Colin looked at Ginny with a curious expression on his face. “Harry? I don’t know. He hasn’t been in since Christmas has he?”

Ginny sighed; it had all been a dream.

The common room was now packed with people, more people than usual it seemed, Ginny guessed most of them were simply hanging around in the common room longer than usual so they could wish the Gryffindor Quidditch team luck for tomorrows big game.

Ginny decided that she needed to be alone, so she left to go up to the girls dormitory, before she could get there however, she was accosted by Demelza Robins, one of the Gryffindor Chasers.

“Hi, Ginny.”

“Hello, Demelza. Look I don’t want to be rude but I’m just about to go up to bed so would you mind?

“Oh right, ok. It’s just…Euan sort of…well…got sick.”

Ginny swore loudly; Euan Abercrombie was the Gryffindor Seeker. “What do you mean he got sick?”

“He got sick. I’m not sure what happened. I think somebody dared him to eat a pound of doxy eggs for a bet.”

“Who dared him to do that?”

“Some second year…Hamish McClaggen, I think.”

“McClaggen? Not Cormac’s little brother is he by any chance?” Ginny asked; she thought she already knew the answer.

“Yes, he is. Why?”

“Cormac ate a pound of Doxy eggs for a bet once, it kept him in the hospital wing for about three days I think.”

Demelza sighed. “Euan, the idiot. Well…what do you want to do? We need a Seeker.”

“I’ll play Seeker tomorrow. Use Jack Fife, you know, the fourth choice Chaser.” Ginny pointed, indicating a tall youth with short brown hair sitting in the middle of a big crowd of people. “Take him out tonight and make sure he’s up to speed. He should do alright, he only narrowly missed out during trials.”

An amused expression came over Demelza’s face. “Isn’t he that guy that has a major crush on you?”

“How should I know? Just take him out alright!” Ginny snapped.

“Shouldn’t you… I mean, you’re the Captain after all.”

Ginny hesitated; she should really oversee proceedings and see if Fife was up to the task. “Oh… I’m not feeling too good. I trust you anyway, Demelza, you make the call, okay?”

Demelza Robins looked very pleased with herself. “Okay, Ginny. You get some rest. We need you on form tomorrow!”

Ginny smiled. “I’ll be fine, right, I’m going up to bed, see you tomorrow.”

“Night,” replied Demelza, and she moved out of Ginny’s way, letting her climb the staircase to the dormitories.

Ginny changed into her pyjamas as soon as she got into the dormitory, she reached to her neck to take off her locket, just as she had done every night for the past five months, and when her hand found it wasn’t there, she felt awful, just as she had done every day for the past five months.

Ginny was not actually feeling very tired as she got into bed, she had all intention of finishing her Transfiguration homework, but as soon as she got under the duvet, she felt extremely tired and fell asleep almost immediately.

After a bad nights sleep, in which she had dreamt about Hermione enticing Harry away from her, whilst wearing a very short skirt and lots of dark makeup, Ginny got up out of bed and looked at her watch; it was a quarter to nine. Ginny got up and brushed her hair, she threw on some robes and headed down to breakfast. Ginny received a loud ovation as she entered the Great Hall, the Gryffindor, Ravenclaw and Hufflepuff tables were all cheering loudly, the Slytherin table were booing at hissing. Ginny smiled. You can tell it’s a Quidditch day.

Ginny did not eat much for breakfast, although she was a seasoned Quidditch player and a two-time cup winner, Ginny still got nervous before the big games; the only difference this season was that she was the Captain, and she could show no fear.

After breakfast Demelza Robins took Ginny to one side. “Fife is in. He’s not brilliant, but he’ll have to do. When Euan gets better I’m going to kill him!” she hissed.

Ginny laughed and sat back down at the Gryffindor table. Luna Lovegood had wandered over; she was wearing her famous lions head hat, which was at the moment purring softly as she tickled it with her wand.

“Good luck today, Ginny,” she said in her usual floaty voice.

“Thanks, Luna, want to come sit with us?” Ginny said.

“Oh no… I better not. It’s best to sit with my own house, I suppose,” said Luna, though she looked more than a little put out.

“I wonder why she did not get put into Gryffindor,” said little Dennis Creevy, who had popped up opposite Ginny.

Ginny pondered before answering, she had wondering that same thing. “Maybe the Sorting Hat got it wrong. I’m told it happens from time to time.”

“Who told you that?”

“…Well, nobody, but I’m sure it does get it wrong from time to time!” Ginny blushed.

Most of the students remained in the Great Hall until it was time for the Quidditch match. Ginny led her team to the Gryffindor dressing room where they all changed into their scarlet and gold uniforms.

“Let’s do this, guys,” she said, giving every member of the team a meaningful glance.

Ginny led the team out onto the pitch; the crowd was a sea of scarlet and gold, save for one quarter that was silver and green. Ginny looked around; you could smell the excitement on the air. A familiar roaring sound was coming from near the commentary box, and sure enough, when Ginny looked up, she saw Luna Lovegood standing there with the magical microphone, her hat roaring loudly.

Ginny stood opposite Colm Lucas, the Slytherin Captain, they shook hands and Ginny made sure to attempt to crush his hand, just as he was trying to crush hers.

Ginny mounted her broom and flew up to join the rest of her team mates in the air. Madam Hooch blew her whistle to start play and opened the chest releasing the balls. Ginny hovered higher than her team mates, keeping an eye out for the elusive Golden Snitch.

Almost immediately Gryffindor had scored, as Demelza Robins scored her first goal of the game; she was easily the best chaser on the field seeing as Ginny was not playing in that position. Ginny caught a glimpse of the Snitch hovering near Lucas’ broom, Ginny gave chase to the little golden ball, she followed it as it dipped and dived, ducked and dodged through the stadium; it was currently heading for the Gryffindor box, Ginny sunk down on her broom and gave a burst of speed, she was getting close to it, the Slytherin Seeker was nowhere to be seen. Ginny stretched her arm out to catch the Snitch when it suddenly darted upwards, leaving Ginny a clear view of the person stood in the front row of the Gryffindor box, it was Harry, looking resplendent in his old Gryffindor robes, his Captains badge still pinned to his chest.

Seeing Harry totally took Ginny’s mind off of the game, and when she tried to grab the Quaffle off one Jack Fife, her team mates called for a timeout.

“Ginny, are you okay? asked Dennis Creevy, resting his beaters club on his shoulder.

Ginny looked at her team, concern was etched on their faces, and they needed her. “Yes, yes. I’m fine, let’s get on with it!” she said enthusiastically.

When play resumed however, the Gryffindor team were not as sharp as they were beforehand, and Slytherin were taking advantage; Sixty-Forty, Sixty-Fifty, Slytherin were catching up, Sixty-Sixty, Sixty-Seventy. Now Slytherin were now winning, Ginny needed the Snitch. Sixty-Eighty. But she just could not focus, she dropped altitude a bit to clear her head, however she looked over at Harry as she did so, she could not help it, she was drawn to him just as she always was.

What is he doing here? I’ve got to get away! Ginny panicked to herself, and she shot upwards on her broom, back into the fray going on above her. Ginny flew high, high above the other players, but she could not stop thinking of Harry.

Shaking her head, Ginny decided there was just one thing for it. She had to play again, with or without Harry on her mind. She needed the Snitch.

And she saw it. She saw the figure of Colm Lucas chasing the lightning flash of gold, putting all her flying skill to use Ginny gave chase, she caught Lucas, and began to go past him; the Snitch suddenly accelerated away from them both and shot upwards at least one hundred feet, Ginny continued the chase, Lucas however, dropped off the pace, and grabbed a bat from one of the Slytherin Beaters. He took aim at the Bludger coming towards him -

Ginny almost had the Snitch, it was brushing her fingers, all she had to do was close her hand… SMASH!

Ginny felt a blinding pain in the back of her head, and everything went hazy, instinctively she raised a hand to her head and she lost control and slipped off of her broom.

Ginny began to scream as she fell, the sharp air whipping across her face, her broomstick was flying off of its own accord. Her team mates hovered in midair, watching her fall with terrified expressions on their faces; all of them too shocked to move. Ginny screamed again, preparing herself for the fall that would surely kill her when she found herself swooping off of the pitch, carried away by someone on a broomstick, someone who was skilled enough to fly a broomstick with no hands.

The world was a blur as Ginny flew away from the Quidditch pitch and towards the lake, she felt herself coming to a halt underneath a tree by the lakeside. Ginny looked up at the figure who was holding her in his arms, and as her eyes came into focus her heart skipped a beat. “Harry!”

“Hiya, Ginny. I’m back.”

Words were no longer necessary. He pulled her closer to him and he kissed her. Ginny felt all of her worries and anxieties fly out of her body, she was electrified by the touch of his lips on hers, enraptured, she drank him in; she never wanted this moment to end. After what seemed like an eternity, Harry pulled away. Ginny moaned as his lips left hers so she grabbed him and pulled him back in; she had got him now and she wasn’t letting him go. Eventually she decided to loosen her grip; they did need to talk after all. As she let him go Harry pulled away from her, he was breathing heavily, and grinning at her.

“I’m back, Ginny.”

“You said that already,” she smiled at him, she felt exhilarated.

“I’m back for good, back for you. I’ve been thinking non-stop about you for the last five months,” Harry said, his voice full of emotion.

Ginny looked deep into his green eyes; they were dancing with excitement. “You’re really here right? I’m not dreaming again?”

He kissed her again.

“Nope, not dreaming,” he said.

“Definitely not.” She smiled up at him.

“I want to be with you, Ginny. No. I need to be with you. No, please. Just listen to me, Ginny,” Harry said when Ginny had opened her mouth to interrupt. “I’m not saying I’m not worrying about what might happen but if anything threatens you. I promise I’ll be there to protect you.”

“I know you will, Harry. But I can look after myself too you know. You’re a good teacher.”

“Thanks,” he said, smiling at her, “Anyway, I think you’d better have this back.” He reached into his robes and pulled out her locket, Ginny smiled as he fastened it around her neck. “Much better.”

“I couldn’t agree more. I’ve missed this. I’ve missed you. Do you know how long I’ve waited for you to hold me, Harry?”

“Getting on for two years?” Harry sniggered.

“Oh trust you to ruin the mood!” Ginny laughed. She moved to get up in mock anger but it was not until she moved that she realised she was in agonising pain.

“Ouch!” she shrieked.

“Oh yeah, your head, sorry, Ginny, I totally forgot…I just thought what I had to give you was the sort of thing that could not wait.” Ginny smiled wider when Harry said that. “We better get you to the hospital wing,” Harry said, “We better return this as well.” And he opened his hand to reveal a small golden ball, struggling against his grip.

“Where did you get that?”

“Caught it, right before I caught you. Why don’t you give it back? At least that way Gryffindor will have won the cup!” he said, letting the snitch go and then catching it again, Ginny nodded in agreement. “Right, it’s time to go.” And without another word Harry scooped Ginny up in his arms and carried her to the hospital wing.

Ginny sighed as Harry carried her to the hospital wing; things were certainly looking up.




A/N - Thats it for Chapter 14 - Sorry about the long wait!
Chapter Fifteen - Explanations and Aggravations by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Fifteen “ Explanations and Aggravations



Ginny groaned as she woke from a deep sleep, the pain in the back of her head still throbbing. The pain was numbed when Ginny thought of the kiss she had shared with Harry by the lake; she still could not believe that it had happened.

“Harry?” she called out.

No answer.

“Harry?” she called again.

Still no answer.

Propping herself up on her pillows, Ginny looked around the Hospital Wing that she found herself in. Looking around she saw that it was completely empty except for a rather small boy with prominent ears, smiling and walking towards her.

“Hiya, Ginny!”

Ginny sighed as she looked at Euan Abercrombie, the fourth year who played Seeker for Gryffindor; she liked him well enough, he just was not who she wanted to see at that point in time.

“Hi, Euan,” Ginny said, before remembering why he was here in the first place. “Eating Doxy eggs, eh? How did you think that was a good idea?” Ginny snapped at him.
The smile disappeared from Euan’s face as he looked at Ginny; her face wore the same blazing expression she wore when she was playing Quidditch. “Oh…you heard about that? I’m okay, now, Madam Pomfrey says I can go.”

“Why eat them in the first place, Euan? You’re smarter than that,” Ginny said.

A sheepish smile began to slide its way onto Euan’s face. “Well…McClaggen made me a bet.”

“And you had to take it? Knowing that you’d probably be sick, putting the team’s chances of winning the cup in jeopardy? Did you know that somebody made McClaggen’s older brother that same bet once?”

“No… I did wonder where he got the idea from, though. I’m sorry…Captain.”

Ginny made a dismissive noise; she was in no mood for this. She was angry that Harry was not with her. He surely had not left again?

“Just drop it, Euan, you’re still on the team.” Ginny relented, but then added after noting the smile creeping back onto Euan’s face, “If anything, and I mean anything, like this happens again you are off of the team. Do I make myself clear?”

“Yes, perfectly clear.” Euan hesitated before continuing to speak; he shifted his weight from one foot to the other and cleared his throat, “…Ginny?”

“What?”

“Why were you calling out for Harry? Is that Harry Potter you were after? Didn’t you used to date?”

Ginny could feel herself going bright red. “That is none of your business, Euan! How dare you ask me that? It’s nothing to do with you who I am looking for!”

Euan took a step back as Ginny’s anger washed over him. He took a glance over her left shoulder before looking back at Ginny. “Maybe I should just go. Hope you feel better, Ginny.” And he turned and ran out of the Hospital Wing without looking back at her.

“Euan?” Ginny called after him. He did not reply - he had disappeared into one of Hogwarts’ many corridors.

Totally perplexed by Euan’s sudden exit, Ginny sank back down onto her pillows. She sighed as she wondered where Harry was.

A shuffling sound from behind her made Ginny turn so quickly that she hurt her neck. “I think you scared him away, Gin.”

Standing by her bedside were Ron, Hermione, Fred, George and Mrs Weasley.

“Mum? What are you doing here?” Ginny asked quickly, she was glad to see them of course, but more than a little surprised.”

“Harry told us that you’d had an accident playing Quidditch, and that you were in the Hospital Wing, so we decided to come and check on you,” replied Mrs Weasley, as she fussed over Ginny and insisted on checking her for other injuries.

“Mum, mum, I’m fine, honestly, mum, STOP IT!” Ginny shouted, before turning to the others and talking, “Do you know where Harry is?”

“He went to speak to Professor McGonagall soon after we arrived,” Hermione said, smiling knowingly at Ginny.

“How long have you been here?”

“Long enough to see you tell off that little boy. Really, Ginny, you should be setting an example!” Fred sniggered.

“He ate Doxy eggs for a bet!” Ginny protested.

“Ah…a fine way to get sick,” said George earnestly, nodding his head as he spoke.

Ginny laughed, but her laughter was short lived when she saw the look on Ron’s face. “Ron? What’s the matter?”

Ron looked at the floor as he spoke. “Trouble at work.”

“What sort of trouble?” Ginny asked, as Hermione patted Ron gently on the arm.

“Well…I’m not really in trouble, Harry is.”

“What? Why?”

Ron sighed, and raised his head to look at Ginny; his expression was strained. “The Minister isn’t too happy with Harry. Scrimgeour thinks that Harry isn’t taking his job seriously. He was absolutely livid when Harry told him he was going to come back here. You can’t blame him really, Harry hasn’t been into work for about five months; I’m amazed he’s even still got a job.”

“Scrimgeour doesn’t want Harry at Hogwarts?” Ginny asked anxiously, ignoring the comment about Harry missing work for five months. How could Rufus Scrimgeour, the Minister of Magic, be such an idiot? Harry practically shut himself off from the world when he started his Auror training.

“The Minister doesn’t think that Hogwarts is a priority, doesn’t think that Malfoy would attack here again.”

“But he’s already come here once! Surely it makes sense to have someone here?” Ginny protested.

“You’d think so, but Scrimgeour seems to think that Harry wants to be here for a different reason.”

“…Which is?” Ginny asked, she could not help but notice Hermione, Mrs Weasley, Fred and George all look sheepishly away as she asked.

Ron sighed again and cast Ginny a very dirty look. “Because of you, Ginny.”

Ginny laughed nervously, she was not sure she wanted to tell her family about her and Harry just yet. “Me? Don’t be silly, Harry was here to keep us all safe!”

Ron looked sceptically at Ginny, it was clear he was not convinced. “Are you telling me that there is nothing going on between you and Harry?”

“No. There’s nothing. Anyway how does Harry being in the Minister’s bad books affect you?”

“Well I’m his mate, aren’t I? So I’m the one who gets all the questions when Harry doesn’t show up at work. It’s a hassle I don’t need.”

Ginny looked at Ron, an awkward silence falling between them. Fred and George tried to lighten the mood by showing Ginny some of their new trick wands, but to no avail.

“Come on now, you two, it’s not worth arguing about,” Mrs Weasley reasoned. Hermione nodded in agreement.

“I’m not arguing,” hissed Ginny.

“Nor am I,” said Ron.

“There’s a lot of love in this room,” said Fred.

“Too much love,” said George.

“You can never have too much love,” came another voice.

Ginny felt like leaping out of bed as she saw Harry walking towards her, a broad smile on his face, Ginny resisted the urge to jump into his arms as she decided she was not ready to let Ron know, especially after just telling him there was nothing between them.

“Harry, dear!” exclaimed Mrs Weasley, as she dashed over to hug Harry. Harry eyes remained fixed on Ginny, even when Ron, Fred and George went over to greet him. Ginny could not help but notice the sour look on Ron’s face.

Hermione, meanwhile, stayed by Ginny’s bedside as the others all spoke to Harry, Fred and George were showing him the new wands, Mrs Weasley was thanking him for saving Ginny’s life once more. Ron was saying nothing, but was giving Harry a filthy stare.

“So,” Hermione said, leaning in close to Ginny. “What is the real story with you and Harry?”

Ginny hesitated before she answered, but she decided she could trust Hermione, after all, she had confided her feelings about Harry to Hermione all those years ago. “He caught me during the Quidditch match. He flew me out of the stadium and we landed down by the lake…then he kissed me.”

Hermione let out a shriek of excitement, then lowered her voice to a whisper when Ron looked over in interest. “You kissed?! That’s fantastic! So what happened then?”

Ginny fell silent as Mrs Weasley, Fred and George walked back over.

“What are you girls talking about then?” George asked eagerly.

Ginny did not answer; she was more interested in the developing situation between Harry and Ron, who were still standing away from her bed, and talking in raised voices.

“I don’t care if he’s not happy with me, Ron!”

“Yeah…well I do. I’m the one who is suffering for it! Its just like school, you’re the big attraction and I’m just there as a sidekick!”

“It’s nothing like school! Don’t be stupid! You got into the Auror office by yourself! What I do has nothing to do with you!”

“It does when it involves my sister!”

“What?”

“You heard me. I know you volunteered to be stationed at Hogwarts just so you could be near Ginny! I’m not stupid, Harry!”

“That’s not it, Ron!”

“No? Forgotten our little chat in Godric’s Hollow have you?”

Harry was silent after that, he had forgotten telling Ron that he loved Ginny, that he wanted to be with her.

“I thought so! If you want Ginny so much then why do you keep walking out on her? Eh? Well, it stops now. No more walking out of her life and leaving her devastated. I’m warning you, Potter, if you go near Ginny again, you’ll have me to deal with!” Ron yelled, and he pushed his way past Harry and stormed out of the Hospital Wing.

“Oh dear,” said Mrs Weasley, as Harry approached them, a furious look on his face.

Harry slumped down in a chair by Ginny’s bedside, and for a few minutes nobody spoke.

“Sorry you had to see that,” Harry said to everyone.

“We’ve seen Ron tantrum before Harry, don’t worry,” said Fred.

“In fact…we’re probably responsible for a number of them,” sniggered George.

Harry laughed; it was a mark of just how much the Weasley’s thought of Harry as a part of the family that a blazing row between him and Ron did not matter to them.

“So, Harry, I’m sorry to ask, but we could not help overhearing, did you come back to Hogwarts just to be near Ginny?” asked Mrs Weasley, looking hopeful.

Harry took a deep breath. “No…I did volunteer to be stationed here so that I could watch for Malfoy if he came back.” He paused, “…but being close to Ginny has become something of a perk.”

Harry reached his hand towards Ginny, and to Mrs Weasley’s delight, Ginny took his hand in hers, and she pulled Harry up so he was sitting next to her on the bed. Not caring that her mother, or brothers were watching, Ginny kissed Harry.

Mrs Weasley and Hermione both let out excited squeals; Fred and George stared in shock.

As Harry and Ginny pulled apart and looked around guiltily at the others, they both flushed a deep shade of scarlet.

“Well…well…Ron isn’t going to like this,” said Fred, smiling as he shook Harry’s hand.

“About time, Harry!” grinned George.

Mrs Weasley composed herself long enough to speak, “Congratulations!” she beamed, and she pulled them both into a bone-crushing hug. “I always knew Ginny would get you again in the end.”

“That’s right, Harry, you don’t escape a red haired witch. Once she’s got your heart that’s it, you’re not getting it back,” sniggered Fred.

I don’t want it back, Harry thought, smiling to himself.

“Look at him, look at that smug grin on his face,” laughed George.

“Shut up, George,” Harry laughed back; his laugh cut short when Ginny held her hand out to him, and he sat with her, and put his arm around her.

“Awww bless!” said Hermione, beaming.

“So,” said Mrs Weasley, “how exactly did this happen?”

Harry and Ginny then took it in turns to explain everything, about what had happened at Ginny’s coming of age party, about Harry teaching her, the attack by Malfoy, the argument they had at Christmas; neither of them mentioned what had happened the night Harry defeated Voldemort though.

“Well,” sighed Mrs Weasley, “it’s taken long enough, but I couldn’t be happier that you are finally together again.”

“Yeah, congrats you two. Well, much as we hate to leave, we have to get back to work, that shop doesn’t run itself…yet,” said Fred and George, before they headed for the exit.

“I should get going as well,” said Mrs Weasley. “Arthur will be home soon, I can’t wait to tell him the news!”

And Mrs Weasley hurried off after the twins, not before she had given Harry and Ginny another hug each, though.

As they watched her leave, Hermione sighed, “I suppose I should go and find Ron.”

“Hermione…don’t tell him about us,” Ginny said, looking at Hermione with wide eyes.

Hermione laughed, “Don’t worry, your secret is safe with me. You know that. I’ll see you two later. Congratulations once again.”

“Thanks, Hermione,” said Harry. “Try and calm Ron down, would you?”

Hermione nodded, and then walked to the doors, she waved as she disappeared from view.

As soon Hermione had left, Harry and Ginny were in each others arms, their lips on fire, their robes entangled. Harry soon moved his lips from Ginny’s and onto her neck. Ginny groaned as she pushed him away.

“What’s wrong?” asked Harry, looking a bit disappointed.

“Why did you come back? Where did you go after Christmas?”

“I came back for you, Ginny. It was killing me to stay away from you, but I thought that if I kept away, I could control my feelings. I thought you’d be safer with me away from you. Malfoy proved that it’s not safe to be with me,” he replied.

Ginny raised a hand to Harry’s face. “I don’t care, Harry. I can look after myself, you didn’t need to leave.”

“I know you can look after yourself, Ginny. I just wasn’t sure before I left whether or not I could look after you. Malfoy nearly killed you. I can’t let that happen again.”

“It won’t. You’re here to protect me now.” Ginny smiled up at him. “And who would be foolish enough to try and hurt me when I’ve got the great Harry Potter wrapped around my finger?”

Harry laughed. “I’m not wrapped around your finger.”

“Not yet you’re not, give it a few weeks though.”

“Yes, Miss,” said Harry, laughing louder. Ginny joined in the laughter.

“I love you, Harry.”

Harry looked at Ginny; his green eyes meeting her big brown ones.

“I’ve always loved you, Harry. I loved you first time I saw you. I loved you more when you saved me from Riddle; my love for you has gotten stronger and stronger every year. It nearly killed me last year when you wouldn’t talk to me.”

“Ginny, I…” Harry began

“You don’t need to explain yourself, it’s in the past now, I just want you to know that I love you…”

“I love you too, Ginny.”

Tears filled Ginny’s eyes as she heard him say the words she had wanted to hear ever since she first saw Harry at Platform 9 ¾ all those years ago, when he was just a little boy who needed help to get on the platform.

She bought her eyes up to his; there were tears in his eyes too.

“Its ok, Harry, don’t cry,” she said through her own tears.

Ginny lent forward and pressed her lips to Harry’s, when Harry suddenly jerked his head back and stared wide eyed at something behind Ginny.

“Harry, what…” And then she turned around, standing behind her, was a shining silver wolf.

“I’ve got to go and find Ron,” Harry said quickly.

“What? Why? No! You can’t go already!” Ginny said, more than a little put out that he was leaving her so soon.

“Ginny, it’s Lupin, he’s found Pettigrew,” Harry replied simply.

Ginny fell silent, Harry had been searching for Pettigrew for years now, was she really going to stand in his way?

“I understand. Be careful, Harry,” she said.

Harry smiled at her and lent over and kissed her. “I always am.” And turned on his heel and left Ginny alone in the Hospital wing.

Good luck Harry, come back to me.




A/N - Sorry about the wait folks, I know its been a while. I'm aware that Harry is a bit OoC in this chapter, but it wouldnt work without him being that way. Chapter 16 on the way soon!
Chapter Sixteen - Meeting of the Marauders by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.


Chapter Sixteen “ Meeting of the Marauders



Harry rushed through the corridors of Hogwarts; he still remembered them like the back of his hand. He hated having to leave Ginny so soon after telling her he loved her, but this was important, he had to find Ron. Though he was not even sure that Ron would want to see him.

“Get out of the way!” Harry shouted at some second year students, who had tried to stop him and talk to him. He was used to that, everybody wanted to talk to him since he defeated Voldemort, usually he would indulge them, but this couldn’t wait.

Where is he? Harry thought to himself as he rounded another corner, colliding with a massively fat man with a huge moustache.

Harry picked himself up and shook the grogginess from his head as he looked at his old Potions teacher, Horace Slughorn.

“Harry, m’boy!” boomed Slughorn. “How wonderful to see you again - an outstanding N.E.W.T. Very impressive indeed. Lily would be proud.”

Harry smiled at the mention of his mother. “Sorry about that, Professor. I’m in a bit of a hurry.”

Slughorn seemed to ignore the last part of what Harry had said. “No need to call me ‘Professor’ anymore, Harry! You may call me Horace, m’boy!” Slughorn beamed down at Harry. “How about we go to my office for a glass of the finest mead? I’ve got a couple of things I want to talk to you about anyway.”

“I’m sorry, Professor, I mean, Horace, I don’t have the time at the moment. I need to find Ron, have you seen him? It’s urgent.”

Slughorn’s smile vanished from his face; his moustache drooped and the disappointment was evident in his voice. “That’s too bad, Harry. Too bad indeed.”

Harry pressed the matter further. “Have you seen Ron? I’ve got to find him!”

Slughorn finally seemed to hear Harry, however his expression remained blank. “Ron? Who is Ron?”

“Ron Weasley. You know, my best friend when I was at school. Tall, red hair, he got poisoned in sixth year?”

Slughorn shrugged. “Sorry, Harry, m’boy. I don’t think I know who you’re talking about.”

Harry sighed. “He’ll probably have been with Hermione Granger?”

Slughorn’s wide face broke into a smile that seemed to make his moustache dance. “Ah, yes, of course, Miss Granger, another of my favourite pupils! Very talented young witch, indeed.” Slughorn paused to catch his breath, and then began again, “A tall redhead, you say? Yes, yes, I do believe I saw them in the Great Hall. I think they were talking to dear Minerva.”

“Thanks, Professor,” Harry said quickly, “I’d stay and chat, but I’ve got to get going. I’ll see you around, sir.”

Harry moved past Slughorn before he could say anything else and rushed towards the Great Hall.

As Harry entered the Great Hall the smell of a hundred different delicious meals hit him; it was obviously dinner time. Harry ran towards the staff table, where he saw Ron and Hermione deep in with the Headmistress.

As Harry ran the length of the Great Hall the students sat at the various house tables turned to stare at him; some started whispering excitedly, others pointed, some just watched him in silence. The Gryffindor table however, gave a large cheer as he passed them.

“Harry, what on earth is the problem?” Hermione asked, as Harry pulled up next to the table.

Harry did not answer her; instead he turned to face Ron. “Ron…”

“I don’t want to hear it, Harry. Whatever you’ve got to say to me - I don’t care.”

“Ron!” Hermione said angrily.

“Oh that’s right! Take Harry’s side. You always do!” Ron yelled at her.

That was enough for Harry; he leapt over the table and crashed into Ron, knocking him to the floor. As they rolled on the floor, exchanging punches and obscenities Hermione and McGonagall had leapt to their feet to avoid the two men wrestling on the floor. The students in the Great Hall had all stopped what they were doing and most were standing up to get a better view of what was happening.

Harry managed to break Ron’s grip on his robes and leapt to his feet, his wand outstretched, pointing at Ron’s chest. Ron lay on the floor, his eyes wide at the sight of Harry’s wand trained upon him.

“…Harry,” said a small voice, and Harry turned to see Hermione with her wand pointing at his chest, “I can’t let you do that.”

“Go on, Harry!” shouted one of the students at the Slytherin table.

“Mr Lucas, you be quiet!” yelled McGonagall.

Harry lowered his wand, looking at Hermione as he did so. Slowly she nodded and lowered her own wand.

Harry waited until Hermione had put her wand away before he moved again, he bent down and grabbed Ron by the neck of his robes and pulled him to his feet.

“Listen to me, Ron! There are bigger things happening here than you and me. I’ve just got a message from Remus, he’s found Pettigrew! I came up here to get you, seeing as we’ve been working together on this,” Harry hissed, releasing Ron’s robes and pushing him away. “But if all you’re going to do is be an idiot, then you should stay here.”

Ron’s eyes went wide when he heard the news of Pettigrew’s sighting. “Harry, mate…” he started, before cutting off and turning to Hermione. “Hermione, I’ve got to go.”

“I know you have, Ron, and I’m coming with you two,” Hermione said, and she got to her feet.

“No, you’re not,” Harry and Ron said in unison, each one glaring at his other as they spoke.

“What? Why not?” Hermione looked crestfallen.

“Hermione, look, this is our job. This is what we do. Pettigrew is a dangerous wizard, and we don’t know if he’s even alone or not,” Ron replied.

“Ron’s right, Hermione. You’re not prepared for this. We know you’re a great witch, but you haven’t duelled properly in over a year.”

Hermione looked for a moment as though she might cry, but when she spoke her voice was steady. “I understand. Both of you be careful. I don’t want you going through any more walls, Ron.”

Ron gave her a small smile, and pulled her into a hug, without saying another word he kissed her and headed out of the Great Hall, shoving his way past Harry as he did so.

Harry glared at Ron as he watched him leave, once he was safely out of sigh Harry turned back to Hermione. “Can you do me a favour, Hermione?”

Hermione smiled. “Don’t worry, Harry. I’ll keep an eye on Ginny for you.”

Harry smiled back at her. “Thanks, Hermione.”

The two friends hugged and Harry turned to leave the Great Hall when Hermione called out, “…Be careful, Harry. Make sure Ron is safe.”

Harry nodded and walked out of the Great Hall, leaving to loud cheers from the Gryffindor table.

Hermione watched him leave and then sat back down, Professor McGonagall returned to her seat, and order was restored to the Great Hall.

“Don’t worry about them, Hermione. They’ll be fine,” said McGonagall, forcing her lips into a thin smile.

“I know, Minerva. Like Ron said, it is their job.”

“Precisely. Now, as I was saying about the Transfiguration position…”




Remus Lupin reached into his shabby robes and withdrew a pocket watch, the dial illuminated by the light of the Crescent Moon in the black night sky. Harry should be here by now; Lupin had sent the message almost ten minutes ago and Harry had not replied, which was unlike him.

Lupin decided to leave it another five minutes before he sent another Patronus to Harry. He could not be sure that his presence had remained undetected, nor was he sure that Peter Pettigrew was alone in the dilapidated house that stood opposite the wood Lupin was currently standing in.

A huge clap of thunder split the silence and the skies, as rain began to fall. Another loud crack made Lupin spin around, wand in hand. He let out a sigh of relief as he turned to see Harry and Ron standing in front of him.

Lupin quickly lowered his wand and shook Harry’s, and then Ron’s hand. “I wasn’t sure or not if you had got the message. Not replying, Harry? That’s not like you at all.”

Harry withdrew his wand, just to be on the safe side. “Sorry, Remus. There was a bit of a hold-up,” he said, looking at Ron, who looked back at Harry with venom.

Lupin laughed nervously, he had never known Harry and Ron to be anything other than the best of friends; he did not like being caught in the middle of an argument. Thinking better of it than to try and act the peacemaker, Lupin simply stood in silence until Ron broke the silence.

“So where is he, Remus?”

Lupin pointed at the run-down house the stood behind him. As they laid their eyes upon it Harry let out an audible gasp, Ron however, was less subtle. “Bloody hell! Harry, that’s the Malfoy mansion!”

Harry rolled his eyes. “I can see that, Ron,” he said sarcastically.

Ron opened his mouth to retort but Lupin got there first. “You two listen to me. I don’t know what the problem is, but I am sure it’s got nothing to do with this. So drop it until we’ve got him okay? I’m going to need your help, so just leave it alone okay.”

Ron closed his mouth and nodded in agreement, Harry slowly nodded as well.

“Why didn’t the Ministry search this place?” Harry wondered out loud.

“The Minister didn’t consider it a priority after they searched it for Lucius and Draco,” Ron replied.

“Scrimgeour. That idiot. I told him to keep some eyes on this place. Honestly, that bloke is worse than Fudge,” Harry sighed.

“Careful, Harry, he’s still the Minister,” Ron said gently, not wanting to provoke Harry again.

Harry sighed even louder than before. “I know, but he’s still useless. Anyway, back to the matter at hand. Remus?” Lupin turned back from the Malfoy house where he had been keeping a careful eye out for anything or anyone suspicious.

“Yes?”

“How do you know he is here?”

Lupin took a deep breath and smiled. “Well, as I’m sure you remember, I chased him into the forbidden forest that night at Hogwarts. By the way, I trust that Ginny is fine now?”

Lupin immediately noticed the look on Harry and Ron’s faces at the mention of Ginny; he had suspected that she was at the heart of the argument, but had not wanted to say anything. He hastily continued before either Harry or Ron could say anything.

“Ahhh…I’ll just assume that she is. Anyway, I trailed Peter with ease for three days and three nights, though it became much harder to pursue him when I had reverted to my usual form. Fortunately for us though, I was able to achieve it.” Lupin paused to catch his breath, “Peter knew I was following him, so he continued to run, he flitted from one place to another. Then the full moon came again, luckily I was able to secure a dose of the Wolfsbane potion, a very kind witch named Agnes Merryweather was able to brew me a large quantity; enough to last me at least six months. I used magic to fill a flask with the dose.”

Lupin stopped when Ron cleared his throat, Ron looked mortified at the interruption and shook his head. “I didn’t have anything to say, I was just clearing my throat.”

Lupin nodded and continued his tale, “Well, during my stay at the Merryweather’s, Peter was able to escape me. Once I had transformed though I was able to pick up his scent, I remember it well from our days at school together, and I was able to pursue him again. Peter was able to give me the slip about a month ago, when I ran into some very hostile werewolf hunters.”

Ron cleared his throat again, and this time he spoke, “So how do you know he is in there?”

“By sheer luck, Ron. After I had escaped from the hunters I decided to visit some hotspots, places where gossip is rife, the HogsHead and the Leaky Cauldron to name just two of them. Aberforth was extremely eager to help, but unfortunately had no information I could use; he did enlighten me however, on which charms I should never use on a goat. So I continued my search; about a week ago I decided to stay at the Leaky Cauldron, when I ventured downstairs on the Wednesday morning I caught the scent of Peter, I asked Tom who had been in the bar the previous night, he told me the usual names, none of which I suspected, and then he mentioned Narcissa Malfoy.”

“What was she doing in the Leaky Cauldron?” Harry asked.

“I have no idea, Harry. Probably just doing some shopping. Anyway I decided to come here, to check it out. Surely enough, when I arrived, I got the full scent of Peter; he is in that house. I am sure of it.”

Harry nodded. “That’s good enough for me. Let’s go and pay Narcissa a visit shall we?”

Lupin and Ron both nodded, and together with Harry they exited the woods and strode towards the once-magnificent Malfoy house, wands at the ready.

They stood outside the door of the house, Lupin looked at Harry, the son of his best friend. “We’ll get him tonight, Harry. He has had this coming for seventeen years.”

Harry said nothing, he merely looked intensely at Lupin, Ron was looking very pale, but very determined.

Reaching out his left arm Harry knocked on the door, and was thrown backwards as the door was blasted off of its hinges, Lupin dashed down to help Harry from under the heavy oak door, Ron however ran inside to confront the caster of the spell.

“Are you okay, Harry?” said Lupin anxiously, as he helped heave the door off of Harry.

“Yeah, yeah, I’m fine. Hang on. Where’s Ron?”

Lupin looked around. “I think he went inside.”

Harry jumped to his feet. “Let’s go!”

He ran into the house, Lupin at his heels, and saw Ron engaged in a fierce duel with Narcissa Malfoy, whose long blonde hair was snapping at her face as she threw spell after jinx after hex at Ron, who was ducking and dodging her spells, but not offering up much in the way of offence.

Harry raised his wand ready to help Ron, but at the last moment had to alter the angle of his wand to deflect a stunning spell, fired from a previously unseen caster, who had quickly disappeared behind a door. Harry ran towards the door.

“It’s him, it’s Pettigrew! He’s through here!” shouted Harry, as he threw himself against the door.

Lupin began to follow Harry. “I’m coming with you!” he shouted over the loud bangs coming from Ron and Narcissa’s wands.

“No, you stay and help Ron.”

“Both of you go, I can handle this,” shouted Ron, “I’ve been waiting ages to jinx a Malfoy!”

Harry smiled at Ron and turned his wand on the door before him, Lupin was standing behind him, his wand ready for anything that might come at them.

Reducto!” bellowed Harry, and the door that stood in his way was blasted off of its hinges and thrown across the small room that Lupin and he now stood in. Standing in the corner of what used to be the Malfoy’s study, was Peter Pettigrew; looking as small and rat-like as ever. When he saw Harry and Lupin standing with their wands pointing at him, he merely smiled.

“Remus, my old friend, Harry, managed to find me at last. James would be proud of you…”

Anger boiled in Harry faster than he had ever known. “Don’t let me hear you ever talk about my dad again!” he yelled, raising his wand level with Pettigrew’s black heart. To Harry’s amazement, Lupin stepped in front of his wand, his back to Harry.

“Move, Remus!”

Lupin did not budge. “No, Harry. I want this. He betrayed James and Sirius; he cost me my two dearest friends. I mourned his death for thirteen years, all the while convincing myself that Sirius was guilty. If anyone has reason to want to kill this man, it is you, he cost you your parents and your godfather, but Harry I ask you, please, leave this to me,” Lupin said, turning his head to look over his shoulder at Harry.

Harry stared into the face of Lupin; into the face of the man who remained the closest thing to a father that Harry had left. It was then that Harry understood what this meant to Lupin. He understood that Lupin had lost everyone that he cared about that night in October, he had lost James and Lily forever, he had lost Sirius, convinced that he was a murderer, and not the man that Lupin though he was. He had also lost Pettigrew that night, for thirteen years he had mourned Peter Pettigrew, and he had wandered through his life, alone, for the first time since he had arrived at Hogwarts, the three boys who became men that had been cornerstones of his life were gone.

Harry nodded his head, and opened his mouth to speak, when a yell came from the room behind them.

“Go and help Ron, Harry! I’ll be fine. I’ve been waiting for this!” Lupin said to Harry.

Harry dashed backwards through the door, leaving Lupin and Pettigrew alone, both facing the other, wands in their hands.

“Alone at last, Remus,” said Pettigrew, his rat-like face contorting into a twisted smile.

“Are you ready, Peter?” said Lupin quietly; he had waited for this moment for so long.

Pettigrew’s smile grew more pronounced. “You may have outmatched me at school, Remus, but today, I shall prove that I was and will always be the best of the Marauders, the last one is about to be destroyed.”

Lupin laughed. “Oh, Peter, you really have no idea what it takes to be a great wizard, it’s not all spell casting. You need feeling, and you need heart. James and Sirius had those in bucket loads; you have no feeling, and a black heart. When your heart turned black, you lost the right to call yourself a Marauder.”

Pettigrew laughed in turn. “Enough talk.” And he quickly raised his alarmingly short wand to Lupin and green light rushed from the end of it; and the battle was on.




Harry entered the room where Ron and Narcissa were still throwing spells at each other; Ron was sporting a nasty-looking burn on the side on his face. Narcissa was looking furious and crazed as she continued to rain spells down upon Ron. When she saw Harry though, she screamed and turned her wand onto him. Harry was forced to dive to one side to avoid the killing curse that flew at him, he landed with a loud thud next to Ron, who was sheltering behind a battered sofa, which, judging by the look of it, and the smoke coming from it, had seen a fair share of spells.

“I thought I told you I didn’t need any help?” snapped Ron irritably, as he fired a stunning spell at Narcissa, which she reflected back at him, Ron made an odd little yelping sound as he ducked the spell.

“No, you’re right. You’re doing just fine!” Harry laughed, firing his own spell at Narcissa, who was still screaming madly and firing spells wildly in their general direction.

The briefest of smiles flashed onto Ron’s face. “You know, Harry, this isn’t the time or the place, but I’m sorry.”

Harry was so taken aback he totally forgot to cast a spell when he poked his head over the sofa, and he had to duck again very quickly when Narcissa fired one at him.

“What?”

“I’m sorry, Harry. I just don’t want to see Ginny continuously getting hurt.”

Guilt welled up inside Harry, “Ron…You know I would never do anything to hurt Ginny.”

“Yeah I know, but…”

“Me and Ginny are together, Ron.”

Spells continued to fly from Narcissa’s wand; the wands in the hands of Harry and Ron were still, although Harry kept his wand ready, just in case Ron made an attempt to jinx him.

“You’re what?”

“We’re seeing each other, or rather, we’re going to be. We kissed just before I called you up to the school.”

Ron looked blankly at Harry, spells continued to fly over their heads, making Harry’s messy hair stand on end.

“You kissed?”

“Yeah, I’m sorry we didn’t tell you.”

“Who else knows?”

“Hermione, your mum, Fred and George.”

Ron opened his mouth to reply but a particular loud explosion of spells from Narcissa Malfoy drowned any sound he made out. Harry and Ron found themselves exposed at the sofa they were hiding behind was blasted to smithereens.

“Oh, for the love of God!” Ron exclaimed, “Would you give us a break!” And he flicked his wand at Narcissa, the invisible spell he sent her way connected and Narcissa was sent flying backwards into the wall behind her.

“Good shot, Ron!” said Harry, grinning at Ron.

“Thanks…not bad considering I didn’t even mean that,” said Ron, grinning back. The grin promptly disappeared from his face as he and Harry strode over the unconscious Narcissa. “Harry…You and Ginny.”

“I know, I know. You’re not happy,” Harry mumbled, staring at Narcissa’s prone form slumped against the wall.

When Harry looked up though he saw that Ron was smiling. “Ron?”

“Of course I’m happy, Harry. Why wouldn’t I be? I just need to know that you’re always going to be there for Ginny.”

“Of course I will be,” said Harry, smiling at Ron

Harry move towards Ron, the man he knew better than anyone else, and extended his hand, Ron shook it, and the two friends stood together, united once more.

“Keep and eye on her, just in case,” Harry said to Ron as he conjured ropes to tie up the prone body of Narcissa Malfoy, “I’m going to help, Remus.”

Ron nodded as Harry dashed back through the door into the study where Lupin and Pettigrew remained locked in magical combat.

Harry raised his wand and ventured into the study, but given the confined space there was very little room to manoeuvre, and Harry found himself having to Apparate a number of times to escape stray spells. Deciding that he was better off supporting Remus from a safe distance Harry Apparated back outside the study, watching from the doorway as Lupin and Pettigrew traded spells.

Lupin sent a spell at Pettigrew, who had to conjure a mirror to shield himself. The spell disappeared harmlessly into the mirror, which Pettigrew then threw down to one side; the mirror shattered, releasing an unholy screeching sound through the house.

Pettigrew managed to catch Lupin with a banishing spell as was knocked off balance, Remus sailed through the air and landed with a crunch into a bookcase, he fell to a heap at the bottom of it.

Harry raised his wand again, preparing to engage Pettigrew, but he saw Lupin looking up at him, he saw Lupin shake his head, and lowered his wand.

Peter Pettigrew advanced upon the fallen Lupin, ready to finish it. He would be the last Marauder. He raised his wand, ready to land the killing curse, when he was suddenly blasted from his grip, it flew towards Harry, who caught it and snapped it in half.

Pettigrew let out a scream of anguish as he saw he wand lying broken on the floor, before he could flee however, he found himself hoisted into the air, suspended by the ankle, held up by invisible hands.

Lupin was back on his feet at once, his wand pointing into the heart of Pettigrew. Anger blazed in Lupin’s eyes, “It’s over, Peter. You’ve been running for seventeen years. No more. No more running.” Lupin snatched his wand upwards and Pettigrew fell to the floor in a heap, whimpering in pain.

As Pettigrew got to his knees he found himself looking at the end of Lupin’s wand. “This is James, for Lily, for Sirius. For everyone your actions have ever hurt. And Peter?”

Pettigrew nodded feebly.

“This is for me.”

Lupin flourished his wand, “AVADA…

“Remus, No!” yelled Harry and he ran into the room, and knocked Lupin’s arm to one side, “I’m not going to let you do this. I wouldn’t let you kill him five years ago, and I won’t let you now. Would my dad, and Sirius, want you to stoop to his level?”

Lupin shook his head, and lowered his wand. “I suppose you are right, Harry, you are so like James. He wouldn’t want Peter dead.”

Lupin raised his wand again, and Harry went to protest. “I’m just going to stun him, Harry, that’s all.”

Harry nodded and stepped aside, Lupin raised his wand at Pettigrew, who by now was pleading with him. “Remus, Remus, please! Not Azkaban, kill me! I’d rather die!”

His pleas fell on deaf ears.

Stupefy!” said Lupin, as a jet of red light crashed into Pettigrew’s chest; he slumped over onto his face, his nose cracking as it hit the floor.

“It’s over,” Lupin said quietly to himself.

“Over,” said Harry, and it was over. The man he had been hunting was finally caught; he would finally see Azkaban for his crimes.

“Where is Ron?” asked Lupin.

“I’m through here!” shouted Ron.

“We better call the Ministry, and tell them we’ve got two more for Azkaban,” Lupin suggested.

“Agreed. But I’m going to the Ministry with them, I don’t trust Scrimgeour to get it right,” said Harry.




Long after the Ministry wizards had come to take Pettigrew and Narcissa away, and long after Harry had argued with Rufus Scrimgeour about his dedication the Auror Office, Harry, Ron and Lupin were sitting in three comfortable chairs, in the employee’s lounge of the Ministry of Magic.

“Well,” said Ron, stretching his arms over his head and yawning, “You got him, Harry.”

“Actually, Lupin got him.” Harry smiled, pointing at Lupin.

“WE got him,” Lupin corrected, and he shook Harry and Ron’s hands once again. “You two would have made wonderful Marauders.” He smiled at them.

“I think this calls for a celebration. How about we go to the Three Broomsticks for a little party tomorrow night. Get the rest of the family to come too?” suggested Ron.

“Excellent idea,” agreed Lupin.

“I agree,” said Harry. “I better let Ginny know.” And he got up and headed to the Owlery, a smile on his face, punctuated by thoughts of a darker nature.

Pettigrew’s gone. That leaves one left: Malfoy.

Harry shrugged the thoughts of Draco Malfoy off. He was determined to enjoy himself from now on.




A/N - Well, thats all for Chapter 16, Chapter 17 is beta'ed and ready to go asap!
Chapter Seventeen - Dinner at Hogsmeade by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.


Chapter Seventeen “ Dinner in Hogsmeade



“So, how do I look?” Ginny Weasley asked anxiously, as she looked at herself in the mirror.

Luna Lovegood sighed and looked up from the note she was reading to where Ginny was standing. “For the tenth time, Ginny, you look gorgeous,” replied Luna with a sigh. “Harry won’t know what’s hit him.” She smiled.

Ginny looked backward over her shoulder, and smiled at Luna. Luna was the only person that Ginny had told about her and Harry, a part of her felt guilty at not telling Colin and Dennis, as they were firm friends of hers as well, it just seemed that Luna would be more understanding.

“That’s the plan,” Ginny replied, as she lifted her hair onto her head, and held it up with a pin. “Up or down, Luna?”

Luna laughed, her long blonde hair flapping around her face. “Up. That was you’ll really be able to see your locket, and your hair won’t take the colour from your dress.”

“Can I have a look at the note again?” Ginny asked, but it was not really a question.

Luna nodded and stood up from the toilet upon which she was sitting; that was the problem with being in different houses, after classes has finished there were not many places that Ginny and Luna could spend time together, and even fewer places where Ginny could get Luna’s opinion on the dress robes she had picked out for the Hogsmeade dinner with Harry.

As Luna stood up and walked towards Ginny, the head of a girl floated up through the toilet seat, followed by the rest of her body. Moaning Myrtle was weeping loudly as she finished emerging from the toilet.

“Nobody ever wrote me a note,” Myrtle said sadly, her pearly face was wet with ghostly tears.

Ginny and Luna looked at each other and sighed, Myrtle was the other disadvantage of having to hang out in an out of order bathroom.

“Oh, Myrtle. I’m sure that’s not true,” Ginny said calmly.

That was the wrong thing to say.

“Oh, so I’m a liar, am I?” shrieked Myrtle, bursting into tears once again.

Ginny hastily worked to retract her comment, “No, no, Myrtle. Of course not.”

Myrtle cried even louder. “So you agree? Nobody would send me a note. Who would want to send a note to ugly, fat, moaning, moping Myrtle?” Myrtle promptly let out a loud shriek and dived back into her toilet, sending water splashing out from under the seat.

Ginny and Luna burst out laughing, they were used to Myrtle’s outbursts, as were most of the older pupils; occasionally a younger pupil would stumble upon Myrtle and then emerge from the encounter looking very shaken, it was not a nice experience to have a ghost cry all over you, and then splash you with water from the toilet.

“Anyway, here,” said Luna, handing Ginny the piece of parchment she had been looking at.

Ginny took the rolled up piece of parchment and unrolled it, her heart starting to beat a little faster as she looked at the curves of Harry’s writing, seamlessly joining into each other. Ginny giggled as the butterflies in her stomach started to fly as she thought thoughts that were most unsuitable for thinking whilst getting dressed in a toilet. Putting the thoughts out of her mind Ginny began to read the note.

Ginny,

We did it! We got him! Pettigrew is on his way to Azkaban right now.

We’ve decided to have a bit of a celebration tomorrow at the Three Broomsticks; all of your family should be there, as well as Remus and Tonks too. Make sure you dress smartly.

I’ll be arriving at the castle at 7pm to escort you there.

Can’t wait to see you.

All my love

Harry


“What time is it?” she asked when she had finished reading.

Luna pulled back the sleeve of her robes and look at the watch on her wrist. “Six-forty-five.”

Ginny felt incredibly nervous, she still was not sure whether or not it was a good idea to go, especially if Ron was there; she didn’t want a night out where she had to pretend to just be friends with Harry.

Luna was looking at Ginny as though she was a mildly interesting play. “What did McGonagall say about you going to Hogsmeade, anyway?”

Ginny swallowed; she had not yet asked the Headmistress whether or not it was even okay for her to leave the castle, she would surely be out past curfew, and Professor McGonagall was not the most lenient of Headmistress’. “I haven’t asked her yet,” Ginny said truthfully.

Luna’s blue eyes seemed to grow to twice their normal size. “You haven’t asked her yet? What if she says no?”

“I don’t know. I was hoping that I could sneak out without her knowing.”

Luna laughed. “That’s never going to work. You had better ask her.”

Ginny nodded and headed towards the door of the toilets, she clutched a hand to her locket as she headed out into the corridor.

The reaction was as Ginny had suspected, students were looking at her in shock, most of the boys could not take their eyes off of her - even Colm Lucas stopped and stared as he watched Ginny walk past him, resplendent in the veils of scarlet silk that adorned her body.

Now let’s hope Harry has that reaction, she thought to herself, as Lucas blinked stupidly at her as she walked past him.

Ginny headed through the corridors towards the Great Hall, where the Headmistress was likely to be, as it was still dinner time. After dismissing a number of awful attempts by awkward first and second years to talk to her Ginny arrived at the doors of the Great Hall, as she peeked inside she could see that the Headmistresses chair was vacant.

“Wow,” said a voice behind her.

Ginny felt like she was soaring as she turned to see Harry standing there, wearing his best bottle green dress robes, his untidy hair was still untidy, no amount of combing could change that, his green eyes sparkled, their colour enriched by the colour of his robes.

“Harry!” Ginny shrieked excitedly, and she ran towards him.

“Hiya, Gin, I missed you,” he replied, taking her in his arms and kissing her softly.

“I missed you too.”

Harry stared at into Ginny’s eyes. “You look…beautiful.”

Ginny could feel herself blush crimson, which must have clashed terribly with her dress she thought.

“Thanks, you scrub up pretty well yourself,” she giggled.

Harry chuckled with her, and took her hand in his, and he led the way towards the main gates of the entrance hall.

“Mr Potter, Miss Weasley?”

Ginny’s heart stopped as her and Harry turned to see Professor McGonagall standing behind them. “Where do you think you are going this time of day, Miss Weasley?” she demanded.

Harry looked at Ginny with interest. “Did you forget to ask?”

Ginny nodded.

Harry cleared his throat, and addressed the Headmistress, “We’re going to Hogsmeade, for a bit of a celebration. You see we managed to catch Peter Pettigrew last night and myself, Remus and Ron thought it would be a good idea to celebrate. You don’t need to worry Professor, she’s in good hands.” And he smiled at Ginny as he spoke.

McGonagall however, did not smile; she looked Harry up and down. “Mr Potter, its not that I don’t think you’re capable of looking after Ginny, but rules are rules, you know that as well as anybody.”

Harry allowed himself a small smile as he remembered his own rule-breaking days at school. “Professor, Ginny is of age now, and we’re only going to Hogsmeade. Surely you can make an exception this time?”

“Please, Professor?” Ginny pleaded.

McGonagall looked them both up and down again and sighed. “Oh fine, very well, not a word to anyone, Miss Weasley. Mr Potter, I expect her to be back at school by midnight at the very latest.” Then a smile began to crawl across her face. “I must say, you do make a fine couple.” And she turned on her heel, and walked back into the Great Hall.

“She’s right you know, Ginny,” said Harry, turning back to Ginny and smiling from ear to ear.

“About what?”

“We do make a fine couple.”

“Stop it, you’re making me blush again! We better hurry, we don’t want to be late,” said Ginny.

Harry and Ginny set off on the short walk towards Hogsmeade, as they passed through the rather secluded field that led to the village, Ginny remembered what she was supposed to ask Harry. “Harry?”

“Yeah?”

“Is Ron going to be there?”

“Yeah.”

“Is that a good idea?”

“Yeah.”

“Am I going to have to pretend not to be with you?”

“No,” said Harry, beginning to smirk as his one-word answers amused him.

“Well… why not!? Tell me!” laughed Ginny, even though she was a bit annoyed at Harry’s immaturity.

Harry stopped walking and looked at Ginny. “Because I told him the truth.”

Ginny gasped. “You told him… when?”

“When we were at the Malfoy’s.”

“When were you at the Malfoy’s?” Ginny asked anxiously.

“That’s where Pettigrew was hiding; we had to take Narcissa Malfoy in to Azkaban as well. I told Ron when we were there.”

“Was he okay with it?”

“Of course he was. He just wanted to make sure that I would always be there for you.”

Ginny smiled. “And will you?”

Harry smiled back at her. “Of course I will be.”

Ginny felt her eyes well up with happiness; he was really hers now, and he was not ever going to leave. Ginny drew him close to her and kissed him gently, he responded, meeting her kiss and putting more intensity into his, his lips soon left hers and moved down to her neck, Ginny moaned softly as Harry’s lips continued to work their magic upon her skin, while his hands were working their magic upon the zip on her dress.




At half past seven Harry and Ginny arrived outside the Three Broomsticks; they could hear a great deal of laughing and good-natured shouting coming from behind the door of the building.

“Looks like the party started without us,” Harry said, running a hand through his hair; he was still finding blades of grass in it.

“We shouldn’t have taken that detour then,” said Ginny, giggling madly and squeezing Harry’s hand.

Harry smirked at her. “That was your idea.”

“I didn’t hear you complaining.”

“Of course not, it was a very enjoyable detour.”

Ginny took a deep breath as Harry pushed the door open and led her through it. Hand in hand they walked through the door. As they entered Harry looked at Madam Rosmerta and pointed to a table towards the back of the building; she need not have bothered for as soon as Harry and Ginny had looked upon the table then they were weighed down as a crowd of people descended upon them.

“Harry, Ginny, so glad you decided to grace us with your presence,” sniggered Fred Weasley, clumsily grabbing hold of Harry’s hand and shaking it with vigour.

Harry smiled at Fred’s overexcited handshake; he had a slight smell of Butterbeer to him, Harry suspected that Fred, and George if his equally enthusiastic hug of Ginny was anything to go by, had been in the Three Broomsticks far long than the others.

“Harry!” shouted George, and he grabbed Harry and gave him a hug, while Fred shook Ginny’s hand, causing her to giggle madly.

“Hi, George,” smiled Harry, as he struggled to draw breath over George’s crushing hug.

After shaking hands with Mr. Weasley, Bill, Percy and having Fleur swoop down on him to kiss him on both cheeks, Harry felt exhausted by the time he got to his seat next to Ron and Hermione, who greeted Harry with enthusiasm, and were opposite Lupin and Tonks, who had her hair in her preferred bubblegum pink colour.

“Wotcher, Harry,” said Tonks, reaching over the table to shake his hand, and promptly knocking over a couple of bottles of Butterbeer.

“Hiya, Tonks. How are you?” Harry replied, as he quickly pulled his robes out of the way of the Butterbeer, before vanishing the spill with a wave of his wand.

“Oh, not bad, Harry, not bad. Nice spell work there by the way.”

“Thanks,” said Harry. “What have you been up to since you left the Ministry then?” Harry asked. Tonks had left the Aurors office soon after the fall of Voldemort.

“Not much to be honest with you, Harry.”

Lupin laughed. “Come now, Nymph. Tell Harry what you’ve been doing.”

Tonks blushed, but she immediately covered it up by screwing up her eyes and turning her hair a darker shade of red than the shade she was blushing. “I’ve been working on a reversal of the anti-Werewolf legislation.”

Harry looked at her, impressed. He would never have thought that Tonks would have turned her attention to anything like that. Still, he thought, when you are living with a Werewolf I suppose your priorities change.

Before Harry could reply however, he was joined at the table by Ginny, who was looking very flushed and out of breath, it appeared she had not managed to escape the barrage of hugs quite as quickly as Harry had done. Ginny sighed as she slumped into her seat, Harry put his arm around her and saw Ron stiffen slightly.

“Ron?” Ginny asked.

“What?” said Ron defensively.

“Are you sure you’re fine with this?” Ginny asked, pointing between Harry and herself.

Ron immediately loosened up and acted as though nothing had happened. “Yeah, yeah I’m fine. Why wouldn’t I be?”

Ginny smiled. “You tell me.”

Ron stuttered and stumbled over the words he tried to get out, eventually he relented, and simply smiled. “I’m happy for you two okay. It just took me by surprise to actually see you together again.”

Ginny smiled as she felt Harry squeeze her hand, she looked at him and saw that he was smiling as well. “Anyway,” she said, turning to face Hermione, “How are you, Hermione?”

Hermione looked up from her Butterbeer. “I’m fine thanks, Ginny. Just a bit preoccupied, that’s all.”

Before Ginny could ask why Mrs Weasley had talked talking to her. “Ginny, dear, I forgot to ask, how are your classes going at school? With all the excitement we’ve not had a chance to ask you and find out.”

“Oh they’re fine, Mum. Professor Flitwick keeps telling me I’m a natural at Charms. He thinks I could easily get an ‘Outstanding’ at N.E.W.T for it.”

Mrs Weasley beamed proudly at her daughter, then turned to Lupin, who was chatting animatedly with Ron. “Remus, are you going to return to the school now?”

Lupin turned from Ron, leaving him to try and join in the conversation that Harry and Hermione were having about Goblins. “Of course I am, Molly. I’ll be returning tomorrow,” he said, then added, when he noticed the look on Ginny’s face. “Don’t worry, Ginny. There isn’t that much to catch up on. I’ve already covered just about everything with the O.W.L and N.E.W.T students to enable them to get through the exams.” He smiled reassuringly at her.

Ginny smiled back and nodded her head, before turning to her father, “Dad, could Percy not make it tonight?”

Mr Weasley was deep in conversation with Bill and Fleur; they seemed to be discussing the possibility of grandchildren, so it fell to Mrs. Weasley to answer, “He wanted to come, dear, but he said he had a lot of work to do, the Minister is working him extremely hard. It doesn’t seem fair.”

“Oh. And Charlie’s back in Romania?”

“Yes…he tried to get some time off, but his boss yelled at him, said he’d already had too much time off this year.”

Ginny opened her mouth to reply by was distracted by Fred and George, who were taking it in turns to see who could turn the other into the most impressive canary.

“Fred, George, stop it!” hissed Mrs Weasley, looking mortified as the twins drew a variety of strange looks from the other patrons.

“Come on, Mum, don’t be a spoilsport!” slurred Fred, as he fell into a seat next to Mrs Weasley, and promptly grabbed her and gave her a huge hug.

“We love you, Mum,” said George, who had just returned to his usually human form, and had proceeded to hug both Fred and Mrs Weasley.

After Fred and George had been persuaded to sit in their seats and be quiet for a few minutes, and after everybody had enjoyed a hearty laugh at their antics, Ginny sat down next to Bill, Fleur and Mr Weasley, and was soon deep in conversation. Ron was talking with Lupin and Tonks, and was answering a lot of Tonks’ questions about how the Auror Office had changed since she had left, which, as Lupin pointed out, was not a lot, seeing as she only left nearly two years ago.

Harry, meanwhile, was talking to Hermione. “So how are things between you and Ron?”

Hermione grinned from ear to ear. “They’re fine, Harry, couldn’t be better in fact. I have no idea why we didn’t become an item sooner.”

He didn’t have a clue about you then. And that thing with Krum did nothing to help matters, Harry thought to himself.

“That’s really great. I’m happy for you guys.”

Harry opened his mouth to talk some more when Ron shouted across the table to Hermione, “Tell everybody the news!”

“No, Ron, not yet, shut up!” hissed Hermione, but it was too late, everybody had stopped what he or she were doing and were looking keenly at Hermione, who had flushed a deep shade of crimson.

Ginny moved from her seat next to Bill and Fleur and walked back to where Harry was sitting, she pecked him on the cheek as she sat next to him, both of them were watching Hermione, who was now on her feet and still bright red.

“Ahem. Well, as you know I was up at the school when Ginny got hit by that bludger,” Ginny winced and raised a hand to the back of her head as she remembered how much that it had hurt, ”And whilst I was there I was talking to Professor McGonagall. I mentioned that I was looking to move into teaching and if she would have any objection to me applying at Hogwarts. Needless to say, she had no problem with it, in fact, she was rather enthusiastic and she explained to me how she was going to have to step down as Transfiguration as the workload of that, couple with being Headmistress, is simply getting too much.”

“So?” said Fred, quite rudely.

“So…from the start of next term I will be teaching Transfiguration as Hogwarts!”

For a little while nobody spoke, all of them simply stared at Hermione, it was Mrs. Weasley whoever, who broke the silence. “Aren’t you a little young to be a teacher, dear?”

Hermione’s face fell, and for a moment she looked as though she might cry, however, she composed herself and spoke up once again, “…Well, it is true that Hogwarts have never had a teacher so young.”

“What about Har…?” started George.

“FULL TIME teacher,” hissed Hermione, George looked like he had just been slapped in the face, and promptly elbowed Fred, who had been laughing at him, hard in the ribs.

“Anyway, as I was saying,” Hermione started again. “I would be the youngest teacher they have had at Hogwarts. Minerva thinks that I am capable, and I know that I am. So there is no problem.”

“But…” started Fred and George.

“There is NO problem,” Hermione said, putting a great deal of weight behind her words.

“Well congratulations, Hermione. I think you will make an excellent teacher,” said Lupin, reaching forward to shake Hermione’s hand.

“Hear, hear!” said Harry and Ron, clinking their glasses together in a rather pitiful toast.

“I agree, well done, Hermione. Too bad I leave at the end of the year,” said Ginny, as she stood up and gave Hermione a hug. “Come on, let’s give her a round of applause!” Ginny said, looking at the other members of the table.

At Ginny’s request the Weasley family, Harry, Lupin and Tonks all clapped and cheered Hermione, Mrs. Weasley still looked slightly pensive about the whole thing, but she still joined in with the applause. When the applause and hearty cheering subsided, Hermione sat back down next to Ron, looking more than a little pleased with herself.

The next hour or so passed in a flash, a blur or laughter and merriment, at half past ten Mr. Weasley got to his feet, stumbling slightly as he did so, he had drunk quite a bit of Butterbeer after all.

“Can I have your attention please? Everyone? Anyone? CAN I HAVE YOUR ATTENTION PLEASE?” Mr Weasley shouted, causing most of the table to jump.

“No need to shout, Dad,” said Ron, who looked very pale, just like he always did when something made him jump.

“Well, if I could just have everyone’s attention?”

“You’ve got it, Arthur, now hurry up!”

“Now, Molly, don’t be like that,” Mr. Weasley said to his wife. “Okay, have I got everybody’s attention?”

“YES!” shouted the rest of the table, this time causing Mr Weasley to jump.

“Well, that’s better. Now, as I was about to say. I would like to propose a toast to…Oh for heavens sake what now?!” Mr. Weasley cried as the lights went out in the Three Broomsticks.

Assorted voices all said “Lumos!” at the same time. Nothing happened. No light became visible at all.

Suddenly Fred’s panicked voice rang out in the dark, “Its Peruvian Instant Darkness Powder, it must be!”

Harry heart skipped a beat and he immediately searched for Ginny. “Ginny? Ginny!? Where are you?”

“Harry!” came Ginny’s frantic reply, “Harry! Help me! It’s Mal…” she screamed.

“Where are you?!” shouted Harry, smashing his kneecaps against the table in the darkness.

No reply.

“Ginny!” he shouted again.

No reply.

Then the lights came back on.

The Three Broomsticks looked exactly has it had done before, with the exception that the patrons were now looking very worried, and a number of bottles of Butterbeer had been knocked over and were running across the floor. But something else was different as well; Ginny Weasley was no longer in the building.

“Ginny!?” yelled Harry, as he searched frantically for his love.

“Where is she!?” roared Ron, as he prowled around the room, looking for her.

“She’s gone, my baby daughter is gone!” wailed Mrs. Weasley, who was looking unusually white. Mr. Weasley rushed over to comfort her, a grave expression on his face. He ushered her outside.

Fred, George, Ron, Lupin and Tonks all followed Mr. and Mrs. Weasley outside the Three Broomsticks to search the rest of Hogsmeade. Hermione was sitting very still; a shocked expression on her face. She was snapped back to her senses when a chair came flying past her left ear, courtesy of a furious, and worried Harry.

“Harry! Stop it!” she cried, as she watched Harry start flipping the tables of the bar over.

“Where. Is. She?” He yelled, each word coinciding with the flipping of a table.

Hermione cringed as another chair flew past her, smashing through the window of the Three Broomsticks, showering the ground outside with glass. Hermione had not seen Harry lose it like this in a long time, and to see him in such a state was frightening.

“Harry, calm down, maybe you go into the Ministry, and see if you can find anything out there.”

Harry stopped flipping over tables and glowered at Hermione, for a moment she thought he was going to yell at her some more, instead he nodded his head, turned on the spot, and disappeared, leaving Hermione standing alone in the empty, wrecked pub.




A/N - Chapter 17 down, Chapter 18 lies with my beta - enjoy!
Chapter Eighteen - A Rat’s Tale by Sectumsempra
b>Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Eighteen “ A Rat’s Tale



Harry Potter woke from a deep slumber and immediately regretted it. His head was sore, and one quick glance at the table by his bedside revealed why; it was littered with empty bottles. The sun beamed in through his window, dousing the room in warm, bright, light which did nothing to help Harry’s headache.

Harry dragged himself from his bed, and slouched into the bathroom, he pressed a flannel to his face, the cold water soothing his head. Groaning loudly, Harry pulled on his clothes and staggered downstairs, flannel still glued to his forehead.

He collapsed into a chair by the table in the kitchen, where Hermione Granger was sitting, waiting for him.

“Whatchu doing here?” he mumbled, closing his eyes as he spoke.

“Good Morning to you too, Harry,” Hermione replied haughtily. “Good grief…you look awful!”

Harry forced a laugh. “Thanks a lot.”

Hermione watched him as Harry got to his feet and stumbled towards the oven, where he clumsily began making himself breakfast. After he had burnt the fifth rasher of bacon Hermione got to her feet and walked over to help him. “Harry, sit down. I’ll do it.”

“It’s fine,” he grouched at her.

“Come on, Harry, please.”

Harry said nothing but instead picked up a couple of eggs, one of which he cracked into a frying pan with a little too much force, causing it to fly all over the kitchen. Harry then threw the other egg against a wall, and turned to face Hermione. “It’s not fair! I told her I’d protect her!” he cried, his eyes, already red due to the night before, were now glistening with tears.

Hermione put down the pan with the bacon in it, and put her arms forward to steady Harry as he began to slump forward, he fell forward into her arms and began crying on her shoulder. “What if she’s gone, Hermione? What if she’s dead?” he said, as all the thoughts he had been having over the last week came gushing out.

“Harry! Don’t say that. She’s still alive.”

“How do you know?”

“I just… look she is okay! This isn’t you, why aren’t you out there looking for her? Like everyone else is?”

Harry sighed, and retracted himself from Hermione’s arms. “I tried. I went into the Ministry, they were no help.”

“No sign of them?”

“No,” Harry replied, though his face looked pained.

“Harry? What is it?”

“My head hurts.”

“What is it really?”

Harry fixed his green eyes on Hermione, his face no longer looked pained; it looked furious. “I don’t think they have done everything they could do.”

“What makes you say that?”

“I just have a hunch. I don’t think that have bothered questioning Pettigrew for starters.”

Hermione looked stunned. “Wouldn’t that have been the first place they would start?”

“You’d think. Scrimgeour swears that he had him interrogated, and that Pettigrew knew nothing. I just don’t believe it.”

“If the Minister said so…”

“…it must be true, right?”

“Well…”

“Wrong. Scrimgeour doesn’t know what he is doing. And he’s got a real problem with me.”

Hermione tutted. “Really, Harry. He is the Minister for Magic; he can’t hold petty grudges.”

“This is not in my head, Hermione,” Harry snarled at her, as he began to pace the length of the kitchen.

Hermione sighed; there was no talking to Harry when he was in such a mood. “Why don’t we have some breakfast and talk about this properly?”

Harry stopped pacing and sat down; a sly smile crossed his face.

“Why are you smiling?”

“You’ve burnt the bacon.”

Hermione smiled back at Harry, and set a plate of eggs and slightly burnt bacon down in front of him, before making herself a plateful and taking a seat at the table opposite Harry.

“Treat Ron like this?”

Hermione laughed, “He wishes.”

Harry laughed as well. “So, tell me, Hermione, why are you here?”

Hermione’s smile vanished from her face, and she looked around the kitchen awkwardly. “I wanted to see how you were, Harry. We’ve all been worried about you.”

“Why didn’t the others come?” Harry said, as he rose from his seat and poured himself a glass of Pumpkin Juice. “You want one?”

“Oh yes please, Harry,” said Hermione, and she watched as Harry poured a second glass of Pumpkin Juice and set it down in front of her, before sitting back in his seat. “Well, I came because I’ve got to get up to the school anyway, and Ron wanted to come, but he’s having some trouble at work though.”

“What kind of trouble?”

“I’m not sure, he won’t say. I think it has got something to do with Scrimgeour.”

Harry allowed himself a smirk. “Rufus is getting on with everybody then, isn’t he?”

Hermione grimaced. “Not funny, Harry.”

“Sorry.”

“That’s quite alright. So when are you going to go to the Ministry and get some answers?”

“I’m not planning to do anything like that.”

“What? Why not? Don’t you want to find Ginny?”

“Of course I do!” shouted Harry, flinging his empty glass across the kitchen.

“Then why not?”

“Because!” shouted Harry as he leapt to his feet and threw his arms up into the air.

“Harry…”

“Because I couldn’t protect her, okay! I lost her, it’s my fault! And you want to know the truth?” said Harry, as he ran his hands through his hair, making it messier than it had been before.

“I suppose…”

“I told her I could protect her. I told her she would be safe. I can’t face her again with her knowing I failed.”

“Harry Potter!” cried Hermione, getting to her feet and shoving Harry back into his chair and leaning over him, hands on her hips. “What are you talking about?! Ginny loves you. You love Ginny. You think she’s going to be thinking ‘Oh no, Harry failed me’? Or do you think she’ll be thinking ‘I hope Harry comes soon’? Well? Which is it?”

Harry smiled the slightest of smiles as he looked in the fierce face of Hermione, which was still hovering over his. “She’s probably thinking, ‘Why is Harry such an idiot?’.”

Hermione took a step back. “Probably.”

“Thanks, Hermione,” said Harry. “I’d better be going.”

“That’s quite alright, Harry. Bring back Ginny.”

“I will,” Harry replied, “Oh, and, Hermione?”

“Yes?”

“Do the washing up, would you?” Harry said cheekily, before giving Hermione a hug, turning on the spot, and disappearing.




Harry felt the familiar sensation that felt like being squeezed through a thick rubber tube as he reappeared inside the Ministry of Magic, surprising several witches and wizards as he popped out of thin air in the reception.

“Ah, Mr Potter! The Minister wishes to see you,” said a short, squat witch with thick black hair from behind the reception desk.

“Perfect,” replied Harry, thinking he could get some answers straight from Rufus Scrimgeour himself.

Harry walked out of the reception area and walked through the various corridors of the Ministry of Magic. He looked through the door as he passed the Auror Office and the unmistakeable figure of Ron being shouted at by the head of the Auror Office, Gawain Robards. Harry felt like storming in there and sticking up for Ron, but he decided that his search for Ginny was the highest priority.

Harry berated himself as he stepped into the elevator that would take him to the Minister’s office; he could not believe he had been foolish enough to leave Ginny in the hands of Malfoy for a week. Deep down, he knew that she would never have blamed him for it. So why did Harry blame himself?

He did not have an answer as he stepped out of the elevator, breathing a sigh of relief, the music played in the elevator could have sent a troll to sleep.

Harry did not even knock on the ornate oak door to the Rufus Scrimgeour’s office. Before he walked through the door, he removed his wand from his robes, and placed it up one sleeve, for easy access. Just in case, he thought to himself.

Harry pushed the heavy door open and strode through, immediately noticing that Scrimgeour was not alone, he had several Aurors stationed in his office.

“Expecting an attack, Rufus?” asked Harry politely.

“That depends on you, Mr Potter.”

Harry laughed dismissively; he had been expecting an answer like that. Raising his eyes from the deep red carpet he looked straight into the eyes of the Minister for Magic, and he saw fear and jealously in them. “You’ve nothing to fear from me, Rufus.”

Scrimgeour’s expression loosened. “Harry, we need to talk.”

“Yes, we do,” said Harry indignantly.

“Why haven’t you attended work in over five months?”

Harry shrugged. “Been busy.”

“Hmmm,” said Scrimgeour.

Harry said nothing; he was determined to make sure that Scrimgeour asked the questions.

“Doing what exactly, Mr Potter?”

“I don’t think that is any of your business.”

Scrimgeour laughed, and his expression hardened once again. “Don’t be so insolent, boy. You might have defeated Voldemort, but you are still working for me!”

“You have no authority over me, Rufus. And I have lost all respect for you. You lost my respect the day you approached me after Dumbledore’s burial.”

“How dare you!” Scrimgeour exploded, drawing his wand. The Aurors in his office did the same.

Harry remained calm, his wand still hidden. “Where is Ginny Weasley?”

Scrimgeour snarled and lowered his wand, motioning for the Aurors to do the same, he moved toward Harry, limping slightly on his left leg. “We don’t know.”

“Rufus. That’s a load of rubbish and you know it. Ask Pettigrew.”

“We did.”

Harry laughed again, he began pacing back and forth; smiling quite madly at Scrimgeour, “Don’t lie to me. Pettigrew knows. Why haven’t you asked him? Tell me the truth, for once in your miserable term as Minister.”

Scrimgeour looked for a moment as though he was about to raise his wand again, “I don’t consider it of any importance.”

Harry felt his temper rising; Scrimgeour had just admitted what Harry had suspected. He did not care if Ginny lived or died, as long as Malfoy stayed quiet. “Not of importance? She’s important to me, damn it! Get out of my way, Rufus,” said Harry, as Scrimgeour moved in front of Harry to stop him leaving.

“No. You’re under arrest.”

Harry laughed. “No, I’m not.” And he twirled his wand around his fingers, thick black smoke billowing from its tip, engulfing him. Under the cover of smoke Harry left the Minister’s office, and ran to the elevator.




Harry emerged from the elevator and pulled his invisibility cloak from his pocket; he always kept in on him, ever since Dumbledore had told him to over two years ago. He threw the cloak over him and hurried towards a door at the end of the corridor.

Harry re-entered the reception area under the cover of Invisibility. It was a good thing too, as it seemed like the whole of the Ministry was now looking for him; various witches and wizards went flying by him, wands out, hexing anything that looked slightly suspicious.

Harry took a door branching off from the left side of the reception area, and proceeded to run down the corridor. He stopped dead however, when a familiar red-haired figure stepped out in front of him.

“Take off the cloak, Harry.”

“Ron, come on. Move. I’ve got to save Ginny.”

“Take off the cloak.”

Harry looked at Ron from underneath his invisibility cloak. He could see that Ron’s face was pale, and his expression pained; there was a definite slouch to him that he had not had before.

“No,” Harry said.

“Harry…” Ron started.

“Ron, no! Look I am doing this to save Ginny, now please. Move.”

Ron looked extremely uncomfortable as he fought with the conflict inside him. “Harry…this is my job. I want to keep it. I’ve got to arrest you.”

Harry could not believe his ears. “Ron! Are you mad? If you take me in, that’s it. Ginny will die. Do you want that?”

“Of course not.”

“Then move!”

“I can’t, Harry!”

Harry decided to waste no more time with Ron; he simply walked past him, using his invisibility to his advantage. Harry looked back at Ron, who was still talking to thin air, before he pushed open the door in front of him.

Harry looked around wide-eyed as he found himself in the Potions stockroom. It was a huge room, shelves hung from rickety brackets on every wall, pausing only for the door that Harry had entered through, and another door that stood in the right-most corner of the room. A single wizard; young and spry, stood by a desk, with a quill in his hand and very bored expression on his face.

Harry whipped off his cloak and slipped his wand into his hand, he pointed it at the young wizard sitting in front of him; who now had an expression of extreme fear on his face.

“Please! Mr Potter, don’t!” pleaded the wizard, who sank to his knees.

“Get up, you idiot. I’m not here to kill anyone. Tell me where the Veritaserum is,” Harry snapped, tucking his cloak back into his pocket.

The wizard simply whimpered a pathetic response.

“What?” roared Harry, causing the young wizard to whimper even more.

“It’s over there,” he managed to say, before he passed out on the floor.

“Idiot,” murmured Harry, as he stepped over the wizards limp form. He walked over to the small, glass shelves low in the top right corner of the room. He reached down and picked up a single bottle of completely clear liquid. Harry pocketed the Veritaserum before a voice behind him made his blood freeze.

“Drop the wand, Harry.”

Harry turned to face Rufus Scrimgeour, his wand still in his hand.

“Drop it,” Scrimgeour repeated, as at least twenty wizards walked into the Potions stockroom behind him, all with their wands pointed at Harry.

“I can’t do that, Rufus,” Harry said simply, and he raised his wand so that it was pointing at Scrimgeour, Scrimgeour’s own wand was pointing at Harry.

“Then I have no choice, Harry. Do nothing until I say so,” said Scrimgeour to the assembled wizards, with the air of someone who had just achieved something he had been longing to do for a long time.

Scrimgeour muttered something incomprehensible and a burst of sky blue light shot from his wand, Harry conjured a mirror from thin air and the spell dissipated harmlessly on the surface of the glass. Harry threw the mirror to one side and shot a stunning spell at the Minister, who reacted far too slowly, catching the stunning spell straight in the chest.

Harry smiled as Scrimgeour hit the floor, before he closed his eyes and braced himself as twenty flashes of red light streaked towards him.

Harry opened his eyes, he checked himself; he was fine, no injuries, nothing out of order in anyway. Unless you were to count the twenty wizards who were now lying on the floor, besides the limp figure of Rufus Scrimgeour.

It took Harry a moment to notice the figure standing beside him, the figure who still had their wand pointing at the pile of wizards.

“Ron!” Harry shouted, relief rushing through him.

Ron did not reply, he simply remained where he was; he looked very green, as if he might be sick at any minute.

“Ron! Come on! We’ve got to get out of here,” Harry pressed.

“What have I done?” said Ron, staring at his wand. “How did I do that?”

“I don’t know, Ron. What spell did you use?”

Ron shook his head, “I don’t know. I remember seeing those guys rush to Scrimgeour. I came in through the door behind you. I saw you stun Scrimgeour, and I saw the others shoot their stunners at you. I don’t know, my mind froze, all I could think to do was cast a shield spell, it shouldn’t have done that!”

Harry was looking at Ron, impressed. “Ron, shield spells can be that powerful, if there is enough emotion behind it.”

Ron was still shaking his head. “I stunned them all. I’ll be kicked out for sure.”

“Do you care? Do you want to work for a Ministry that wouldn’t even look for Ginny?”

“What?”

“They never questioned Pettigrew, Ron. Scrimgeour told me so. All they have been doing is wasting time.”

“They what?!” Ron roared, as Harry heard the footsteps of more wizards approaching, and he saw Scrimgeour begin to stir.

“We’ve got to go, Ron. Come on.”

“Go where?”

“Azkaban.”

“Why?”

Harry pulled the little bottle of clear liquid from his robes. “We’ve got some questions to ask.”

Ron looked at the bottle, then looked at Harry, and slowly nodded his head.

The two friends took one last look at the pile of wizards, who were all starting to stir now, and turned on the spot, disappearing with a crack.




Harry and Ron both reappeared outside Azkaban within seconds of each other. Harry appeared silently, Ron, with a small popping sound.

The bright sunshine that had been shining when Harry had woken up was gone; replaced by cloudy skies and heavy rain. It was always raining at Azkaban; the sun was not welcome at the prison.

“Come on, Harry,” said Ron. “Damn rain. Why can’t we just Apparate inside?” he complained, holding his arms up to shield himself for the downpour.

“Well,” said Harry, as he began to walk towards the gates of Azkaban. “If we could do that, then everyone else could as well. There’d be too many breakouts.”

Ron laughed. “Yeah I know. Rhetorical question, Harry.”

Harry smiled, but the smile quickly faded from his face. “Ron…you won’t be able to go back. Even if they would forgive you for jinxing half the Ministry… you’re helping me, and I’m a wanted man.”

Ron stopped laughing instantly. “Yeah I know, Harry. That doesn’t matter. I don’t want to go back. They’ve just left Ginny, she could be…” he stopped, the next word apparently too painful to say.

“She’s alive, Ron,” Harry said, putting his hand on Ron’s shoulder.

Ron said nothing; he simply nodded at Harry.

Walking in silence the two friends reached the gates of Azkaban. Harry withdrew his wand. “This could get messy, Ron. You ready?”

Ron withdrew his own wand. “Always.”

“Then let’s go.”

“Harry, wait.”

“What?” said Harry, slightly impatiently, as he turned from the gates to face Ron.

“Doesn’t feel right, does it?”

Harry sighed. “I know. There’s probably the entire Ministry force waiting for us in there.”

“Not that. I meant, it doesn’t feel right doing something like this without Hermione. I miss those days, just the three of us.”

Harry smiled at Ron. “So do I, Ron. Let’s reminisce after we’ve got Ginny back.”

“Good point,” Ron grinned. “After you, then.”

Harry took a deep breath and pushed the gates open, he found himself in an empty corridor; he thrust his wand out in front of him, just in case anyone attempted to jinx him.

“Where is everyone?” Ron asked, just as Harry was thinking the same thing.

“I don’t know. Come on, let’s get under the cloak, just in case,” Harry said, as he reached into his pocket and withdrew the invisibility cloak.

“Ah, more fun memories,” said Ron, grinning as he slipped underneath the cloak.

“Sssh!” said Harry, as a single, lone guard strolled into view.

Harry and Ron shuffled after the guard as he walked past them, the cloak was much too small to cover them both now, it wrapped around their legs; causing them to stumble. Ron lost his balance completely and fell out from under the cloak with a loud crash. The guard spun around, wand in hand, but froze as he saw Ron, Harry watched anxiously from under the cloak; his grip tightening on his wand, he breathed a sigh of relief though as he saw the guard lower his wand.

“Ron? Ron Weasley?” said the guard, looking at Ron with a curious expression on his face. Harry could have sworn he knew the voice…but could not quite place it.

“Justin?” said Ron, looking up at the guard.

“That’s right! What are you doing here, Ron?” said Justin Finch-Fletchly.

“Never mind me, what are you doing here?”

“Oh… well I didn’t quite get the grades I needed to be a healer…so I’m working here until something better opens up.”

Ron stifled a laugh. “That’s great. Well, Justin, as you’re here…can you take me to Peter Pettigrew’s cell?”

Justin’s face fell. “Not really, Ron. I’ve got to arrest you, you attacked the Minister.”

“That was fast,” Ron murmured, before realising properly what he just heard. He raised his wand, causing Justin to take a step backwards. “That wasn’t me.”

“It was me,” said Harry, pulling the cloak off of himself.

“Harry Potter!” squeaked Justin. “Don’t kill me!”

Harry laughed. “Justin, I’m not a killer. Yes, I stunned the Minister, and yes, I’m sure you’ve been told to arrest me. So go ahead, if you think you can take me and Ron.”

Justin whimpered meekly.

“That’s what I thought,” Harry said with satisfaction. “There is another way.”

Justin looked curiously at Harry. “Another way?”

“Yes. You take us to Pettigrew, and when we are there you let one of us stun you, and when the other guards ask what happened, just tell them you didn’t see anything.”

Justin nodded slowly. “Do I have to be stunned?”

“Yes,” said Ron, “But you can either let us do it, or make us do it.”

“Okay,” Justin relented. “I’ll take you to him.”

“Excellent!” said Ron, patting Justin enthusiastically on the back.

“We’ll be under the cloak,” said Harry, pulling the cloak over Ron and him. “So don’t walk too quickly.”

Justin nodded and put his wand away, before walking slowly ahead, before turning left and leading them down a dark corridor.

The three followed the corridor for a good five minutes; it seemed to be leading them towards the darkest and most unpleasant part of the prison.

“Just where he belongs, eh, Harry?” whispered Ron.

“You’re not lying,” Harry whispered back.

“Where do you think Ginny could be?”

“I have no idea,” Harry replied truthfully. “But I will get her back, Ron.”

“Harry… it’s not your fault you know. Nobody blames you. Malfoy came out of nowhere, and it was dark. You couldn’t have stopped him.”

Harry suddenly felt like a great weight had been lifted from his shoulders. “Ron…thanks,” was all he could say.

“Will you two be quiet?” Justin snapped. “You’re not supposed to be here, so at least be quiet.”

Harry and Ron smirked at each other, and then fell silent.

I’ll find you, Ginny. I will save you, Harry said silently to himself, the knowledge that nobody blamed him was a great load of his mind.

The rest of the walk passed in silence. After about a further ten minute walk, they had arrived outside Pettigrew’s cell; it was certainly situated in the worst part of Azkaban, Harry was sure that the walls were made of filth, such was the dirtiness of this part of the prison.

“Well… we’re here,” said Justin, shaking slightly and looking very pale.

“Open the door, Justin,” said Harry, pulling the cloak off of Ron and himself, before tucking it back into his pocket.

Justin did as he was told, and opened the door to Pettigrew’s cell. Harry thought he saw a flash of black, he raised he wand but as he looked harder he saw nothing, just the dirty blackness of the stone walls, and a small, quivering man sitting hunched in the corner of the cell.

Harry and Ron entered the cell, Justin went to follow them, Ron turned and stopped him. “You know what happens now, Justin.”

Justin nodded. “Yeah.”

“Thanks for the help,” said Harry, before nodding to Ron.

“We’ll see you again someday, Justin,” said Ron, before he pointed his wand at Justin, who closed his eyes and swallowed.

“Get it over with,” he said.

Stupefy!

A jet of red light shot from the tip of Ron’s wand, hitting Justin in the chest, rendering him unconscious, he began to fall to the floor, but Ron waved his wand again, and the resulting spell slowed Justin’s decent, causing him to land gently on the floor.

Ron shrugged at the curious expression on Harry’s face. “Well, he did help us after all.”

Harry nodded, and turned back to face the huddled mass of rags on the floor. He kicked out at the bundle, which whimpered and recoiled. “Get up, Pettigrew,” Harry ordered.

Pettigrew stayed where he was, which caused Harry to point his wand at him, with one quick flick Pettigrew was lifted into the air, he body stretched until it was upright.

“We’re going to ask you some questions,” Harry started, before Pettigrew started protesting. “And you will answer them,” he finished, raising his voice just enough to be heard over Pettigrew.

“Why should I tell you anything?” Pettigrew hissed, his demeanour changing suddenly from that of a pathetic, broken down man, to a vicious, stubborn wizard.

“You’re not the one asking the questions,” said Ron, as he stood shoulder to shoulder with Harry; his wand was also pointing at Pettigrew.

“Exactly. Now, tell us the details of your plan with the Malfoys.”

Pettigrew shook his head; Harry waved his wand, causing Pettigrew’s body to stretch even more.

“I won’t tell you anything!” Pettigrew insisted.

Harry sighed, and lowered his wand, causing Pettigrew to fall to the floor. Harry reached inside his robes and withdrew the bottle of Veritaserum. “You know what this is, don’t you, Peter?”

Pettigrew looked at the little bottle of potent truth potion and snorted, “You don’t have the authority.”

Harry and Ron both laughed. “Look at us, Pettigrew. We stunned a guard. We’re acting on our own authority. Now open up,” Harry said.

Pettigrew, as expected, did not open his mouth. He merely glared at Harry. “It won’t do you any good, you don’t know which questions to ask.”

Harry was taken aback; slightly confused he looked at Ron, who was looking equally perplexed. “I’ll ask you what I want to know, that’s enough,” Harry said, pointing his wand at Pettigrew, who shrieked and tried to hide from it; which was a futile effort given the tiny amount of room in the cell.

Stupefy!” said Harry, almost casually.

Ron made no attempt to extend Pettigrew the same consideration that he had shown Justin; instead he just let Pettigrew crash to floor as the blast of red light hit him straight in the face. Pettigrew landed on his face with a sickening crunch, as blood began to seep out from his nose, which was now clearly broken.

Harry tossed the bottle of Veritaserum to Ron, and together they approached the limp form of Pettigrew. Harry turned Pettigrew over so that he was lying on his back, and opened his mouth. “Three drops, Ron.”

Ron nodded and uncorked the little bottle; he leant over Pettigrew and tipped the bottle slightly, causing three drops of clear liquid to fall onto Pettigrew’s tongue.

Enervate!” muttered Harry, pointing his wand at Pettigrew. Pettigrew’s eyes snapped open as the spell from Harry’s wand hit him. He did not move however, he simply lay on the floor. His eyes now had a misty glaze to them, as if he had just received several sharp blows to the head.

“Can you hear me?” Harry asked, as he and Ron hoisted Pettigrew into a sitting position against the nearest wall.

“Yes,” came Pettigrew’s reply, it was not his usual voice however, more of a dull monotone.

“Excellent!” said Ron.

Harry nodded in agreement. “Now, I would like you to tell me what the details of your plan with the Malfoys were.”

Pettigrew took a deep breath and began to speak in the same dull tone. “Draco wanted to come straight for you. He wants you dead at all costs. He suggested to his father that they hunt you down and kill you.”

“Nice guys,” said Ron sarcastically. “So what happened?”

“Lucius was against the idea of hunting Harry Potter down; he thought that they should lay low until public interest in their escape from Azkaban had waned.”

“How does Ginny fit into all this?” asked Harry quickly.

“Draco and Lucius began to argue, and were about to duel when I made my presence known. I told them I had information that would be of use to them.”

“What information?” Harry and Ron asked at the same time.

“That Harry Potter would be teaching at Hogwarts. And that Ginny Weasley had feelings for Harry Potter.”

Harry felt his body stiffen. “How did you come by this information?”

“I used Polyjuice Potion to disguise myself as a worker in the Ministry of Magic. Whilst I was there I was able to befriend a wizard called Percy Weasley. I earned his trust, and he shared the information about Harry Potter teaching with me. As time went by he began to confide in me, he admitted that he was worried about his sister. That he was concerned she had not fully gotten over her feelings for Harry Potter.”

“Percy, you idiot,” said Ron.

Harry held up a hand to signal Ron should be quiet. “Continue, what happened when you told the Malfoys this information?” he said to Pettigrew.

“Draco suspected that you would still have feelings for Ginny Weasley. The three of us decided that the best course of action would be to attack and kill Ginny Weasley, using her death to draw you out, and then to attack you whilst you were distracted by grief.”

Harry felt sick, it all came back to him, he was the reason Ginny was taken, they were using her to hurt him, and it was working.

“Where has Malfoy taken her?”

“I do not know. I know that he wanted to destroy you in front of her, and in the same place that Albus Dumbledore fell.” Pettigrew fell silent.

Harry felt his heart give a little leap; Ginny was still alive, if Malfoy wanted her to watch him die, then he would not have killed her. He was waiting for Harry at the top of the Astronomy Tower, the place where he had ambushed a weakened Dumbledore nearly two years ago.

“When?” Harry asked.

“Tonight,” replied Pettigrew.

Harry’s mind began racing, he had to get to the Astronomy Tower; Ginny’s life depended on it. He snapped back to reality, and was aware of Pettigrew once more; with a look of disgust on his face Harry fixed his wand upon Pettigrew, and stunned him once more, then turned and left the cell, Ron close behind him.

“The Astronomy Tower,” Harry said.

“We’ve got to get going,” Ron said anxiously.

“No. I’ve got to go by myself. No, Ron, listen,” Harry said, as Ron began to protest. “I need you to go into the school, you need to tell Hermione, Remus, anyone who could help, and get them to the Tower. I can take Malfoy.”

Ron looked for a moment as if he might protest again, but nodded instead. “Let’s get going,” he said simply.

Harry nodded as well, and the two of them broke into a run, they pelted through the corridors and passageways of Azkaban until they reached the gates. As soon as they were in the open air they both turned on the spot and disappeared.




Meanwhile, Draco Malfoy stood hunched in front a fireplace, deep in conversation with an unseen figure.

“So you revealed the plan to Pettigrew?” the figure asked.

“I did,” Draco replied, smiling maliciously as his eyes left the fireplace and rested upon the unconscious form of Ginny Weasley; who was slumped in a chair in the room of the tiny house that Draco was hiding in. The Muggle owners of the house were lying dead in a corner of the room.

“And you were not seen?”

Draco hesitated before answering; he was sure that Harry might have seen him before the disillusionment charm took full effect. “I am sure, sir. I was not seen.”

“Excellent. Then you must go. You know what you have to do. I do not want Harry Potter alive after tonight.”

Draco smiled. “Don’t worry, he will be dead before the night is out. You have my word…Minister.”




A/N - Chapter 18 is down, its one of my favourite chapters, chapter 19 lies with my beautiful beta :-D
Chapter Nineteen - Amor Vigoratus by Sectumsempra
Disclaimer Everything in the Harry Potter world belongs to JK Rowling, I'm not doing this for profit, I'm doing it for fun.



Chapter Nineteen - Amor Vigoratus




“What are we doing here, Harry?” asked Ron, as he looked around at his surroundings; Hogsmeade Village was back to how it had been the night Ginny was taken. The Three Broomsticks’ window was repaired, and the village looked as sleepy as ever.

“Can’t Apparate inside the school.”

“Oh yeah, I forgot,” said Ron sheepishly, his ears going ever so slightly pink - not that you could tell in the dusk light which the two friends stood in. “We could have Apparated a bit closer though.”

“We could of.”

“Then why didn’t we?”

“I thought you’d enjoy the walk,” Harry said sarcastically. “Okay, listen. If Malfoy is on top of the Astronomy Tower then he can probably see most of the school grounds and the surrounding area, it’s safer to appear here, and make the rest of the journey under the cloak,” Harry said, withdrawing the invisibility cloak from his pocket with a flourish.

“Oh, right,” replied Ron, he had a grim expression o n his face. “Do you think Malfoy is up there?”

“Pettigrew says so.”

“Yeah, but…”

“No buts, Ron. No one, not even slime like Pettigrew who have sustained their life by lying, can resist Veritaserum. Now let’s get a move on. I need to get to Ginny.”

“She’s my sister, Harry. I want to get to her as well.”

Harry did not reply, he merely turned and began running towards Hogwarts, Ron running behind him.

“Harry…the cloak…need…put it on,” Ron panted as Harry and he ran through a puddle of mud, which splashed up and dirtied his robes.

Harry stopped running, and turned to face Ron, with a somewhat sheepish expression on his face he looked down at the cloak that he still held in his hand. “Good point, Ron,” he said, as he flung the cloak around his shoulders. Ron hurried towards him and ducked under the cloak; it was a tight fit, but they managed to stay well hidden.

Running was now impossible since the cloak barely covered Harry and Ron; it flapped around their ankles if they moved above walking pace. As a result the short walk towards Hogwarts took far longer than Harry would have cared for, as every moment he spent on the journey towards the school was another moment that Ginny was left alone with Malfoy, and that, Harry thought, could not be a good thing.

Eventually Harry and Ron reached the gates of Hogwarts. The journey from Hogsmeade had been cold, wet, and silent. Harry and Ron walked towards the Entrance Hall of the school, and once they were safely inside they both emerged from the now sopping wet cloak. Harry sighed and wrung it out, splashing the cold stone floor with water as he did so.

“It’s freezing out there,” said Ron, shivering as he spoke.

Harry did not reply, the time for talking was over. He stuffed the cloak back into his pocket and turned, not saying a word to Ron. He began to walk towards the Astronomy Tower.

“Harry?” Ron said tentatively.

“What?” said Harry, stopping in his tracks but not turning around, he merely tilted his head to one side.

“Wait for me,” said Ron, as he moved to stand beside Harry.

“Ron, you’re not coming with me,” Harry answered. “I need you to find Hermione, Remus, McGonagall - anybody who can help us. Malfoy can’t escape this time.”

“No, Harry, you’re going to need my help on this.”

“He’ll kill her if he even suspects I’m not alone. I’m not risking it.”

“She’s my sister, Harry!”

“And she’s my world, Ron!” Harry shouted, causing a couple of old wizards who were wandering amongst the empty picture frames to jump and squeal ever so slightly.

That last remark from Harry seemed to hit the right spot, as Ron nodded his head slowly. “Okay, Harry, you get your way. I’ll find help, and we’ll get to the Astronomy Tower.”

Harry nodded and started to walk again, when Ron’s voice stopped him once again, “Harry?”

“What, Ron!? We don’t have a lot of time.”

“Make sure she’s okay.”

Harry turned to face Ron, and nodded his head, before he turned and walked towards the Astronomy Tower, leaving Ron standing alone in the Entrance Hall, watching him until he was out of sight, before Ron also turned and headed towards the Headmistress’ office.




Harry broke into a run as he neared the Astronomy Tower. The tower’s huge outline was silhouetted against the darkening sky, the top of the tower was not even visible from the ground, the rain, which was now pelting down, clouded Harry’s vision, causing him to stop and wipe the excess moisture from his glasses.

Harry stood outside the massive oak door which led into the Astronomy Tower, he paused before he pushed it open; he had to get himself prepared. Harry knew full well that Ginny could already be dead - Malfoy might have tortured her beyond all repair, and he would surely do the same to Harry if he gave him the chance. Malfoy could not have that chance.

The spiral staircase that Harry now climbed seemed to go on forever, its hard, stone steps sending chills through Harry’s feet every time he stepped upon one of them. The grey walls seemed to encroach upon him as Harry climbed the stairs; he fought off the dizziness that came with climbing a spiral staircase of this height.

Finally, after it seemed like he had been climbing forever, Harry came to the end of the staircase. All that was keeping him from Ginny, and unfortunately Malfoy as well, was the door that stood before him. He closed his eyes, he tightened his grip on his wand, his eyes snapped open, and Harry pushed the door open.

The wind rushed Harry as he stepped through the doorway; he had to steady himself else he would surely have been blown backwards down the staircase. The rain was coming down much harder than it had been before Harry began to climb the tower - it stung his face, countless drops fell upon his skin, each one felt like a pinprick. Harry lowered his head and walked forwards, he could see the blurry form of two figures, one standing tall, the other kneeling on the floor.

The figures grew bigger as Harry neared them, he could hear the sound of crying; the kneeling figure was crying, and it cut through Harry, he knew that cry. It was Ginny.

She’s alive, Harry thought.

The two figures became clear as Harry came to a halt in front of them. Malfoy was standing over Ginny, his wand pointing down at her. Harry noticed he had another wand tucked into his robes; it was the wand that Harry had given Ginny for Christmas. Malfoy’s pale face contorted into a maniacal smile as he saw Harry, his dead eyes gave the slightest sparkle of life, as they narrowed into pure hatred. Malfoy raised his wand from Ginny and pointed it at Harry, as he did so he lashed his foot out at Ginny, kicking her right in her face; she fell to the floor, crying louder.

Harry felt his own anger rising up inside him as he saw Malfoy. His hand tightened around his wand, which was now pointing at Malfoy. However, Harry felt sick when he shifted his gaze from Malfoy to the crying heap that was Ginny; her face was a bloody mess, various cuts and bruises adorned her skin where her robes had been ripped away, she looked as though she could break in half at any minute. She gave a small cough, bringing up blood as she did so.

“Ginny,” Harry said, as he kept his wand trained on Malfoy.

“Harry…” she said feebly, every word a strain on her battered frame.

“Get up, Weasel!” hissed Malfoy, as he bent down and dragged Ginny to her feet. Like a coward, Malfoy stood behind her, his wand digging into her neck; Ginny winced at he twisted the wand, digging it further in.

Harry started toward Ginny, his wand still trained on Malfoy.

Malfoy gave his wand a quick jab. “Ah, ah, ah, Potter. Not so fast. You wouldn’t want anything to happen to the Weasel, would you?”

Harry stopped where he was. “Lower your wand,” Malfoy demanded.

Harry slowly lowered his wand. A triumphant smile crossed Malfoy’s face as he continued to twist his wand into Ginny’s neck. “Well, well, well, Potter, once again we find ourselves up here, and once again you’re unable to attack, only this time, you don’t have that old fool Dumbledore to keep you safe.”

Anger boiled in Harry’s veins. “Don’t you talk about Dumbledore, you couldn’t kill him, you didn’t have it in you!”

Malfoy gave a cold, hard laugh. “You think so, Potter? Or could it just be that I wanted to test Snape’s loyalty. I knew the other Death Eaters suspected him, and I wanted to see whether or not he could go through with fulfilling his vow. Obviously he valued his own life above Dumbledore’s.”

Harry did not reply; he simply paced back and forth, seething, helpless, he needed an opening, he needed a slip up from Malfoy.

“Stand still, Potter!” roared Malfoy.

Harry stopped pacing and looked past Ginny, who was now silent, but gritting her teeth in pain as the tip of Malfoy’s wand continued to twist into her neck, and into the cold eyes of Draco Malfoy. “Why are you doing this Malfoy? Voldemort is dead. We won. You picked the wrong side, deal with it.”

“Don’t you talk to me like that, Potter. I’m the one holding your little girlfriend here, remember that. Now, you ask why I’m doing this? I’ll tell you why, because I just plain do not like you, Potter, I have never liked you, and you sending me to Azkaban was the last straw. Who on earth do you think you are? You’re nobody Potter, you’re nothing!” Malfoy yelled, letting his guard drop for a second.

Harry used the momentary distraction to whip his wand back up he pointed it at the spot where Malfoy’s head had just been. Malfoy had seen this coming however, and had ducked behind Ginny, forcing her forward between him and Harry’s wand.

“Drop it, Potter,” he snarled, “or your little girlfriend here takes a flight off of the tower,” Malfoy threatened, his usual maniacal smile returning to his face.

Harry did not lower his wand; he was calling Malfoy’s bluff.

Malfoy’s smile widened. “Cold, Potter, very cold. But as you wish,” and he waved his wand, lifting Ginny from the floor, with another flick, he sent her flying over the edge of the tower.

“No!” shouted Harry, and he waved his own wand, Ginny hung suspended in midair before Malfoy waved his wand again, which caused Ginny to fly back into his grasp, once again, his wand was jabbing into her neck.

“Hmmm…well, I see that that won’t work,” growled Malfoy, his eyes flashing with anger again. “But how about this?” Malfoy removed his wand from Ginny’s neck, and held it again her face, he mumbled something Harry could not quite hear, and began to draw his wand down Ginny’s face, blood began to seep from the trail that Malfoy was tracing upon Ginny’s face. “Drop it, Potter, or I’ll just keep going,” Malfoy hissed, as he drew his wand over the bridge of Ginny’s nose.

Harry hesitated, if he lowered his wand he would surely be killed, but on the other hand, he could not stand to see Ginny dead. Reaching the only logical conclusion, he dropped his wand, it landed with a rattle of the hard, stone floor of the Astronomy Tower roof.

“Perfect,” smirked Malfoy, and he threw Ginny hard to the floor; she banged her head hard on the stone floor. Malfoy turned back to face Harry, bringing up wand in a sweeping upwards arc as he did so, “SECTUMSEMPRA!” he bellowed.

Harry felt a white hot pain sear through him, and he stumbled backwards as his eyes clouded with blood, he felt like his chest had been sliced open, he blinked the blood out of his eyes long enough to see the gaping wound on his chest, his hands were stained crimson.

Harry lurched forward, slumping to his knees, he felt dizzy; the blood leaving his body was taking his strength with it. He heard Ginny screaming his name in the background; her screams were drowned out by Malfoy, who was standing over Harry with his wand raised, as Harry slowly fell forward; he tried to stretch him arms out in front of him to stop himself falling flat on his face, his arms would not work though, he did not have the energy left.

”Everte Statum!” bellowed Malfoy, making a jabbing gesture with his wand.

The blast of the invisible spell smashed right into Harry’s chest, causing him to be blasted backwards, the force of the spell sent him crashing through the solid stone battlements that stood on top of the tower, dust and debris littered the roof as Harry’s limp form fell out of sight.

“Harry!” cried Ginny as she watched him fall, he could not die, he just could not. He would appear back on top of the tower at any minute. He had to.

Malfoy was laughing as he watched Harry fall. Ginny saw Harry’s wand lying a few feet from her, if she could get to it, then maybe she could jinx Malfoy long enough to allow her to escape. She inched towards it, wincing in pain as she crawled across the cold stone floor, the rain continued to pelt down upon her. Inch by inch, she neared the wand, the dried blood on her face pulled at her skin as she winced, she stretched out her arm, her fingers scrabbled at the wand.

“Drop it.”

Ginny froze and looked up in horror, standing behind her, with a sneer on his face was Malfoy. His wand was pointed at Ginny.

Ginny drew her hand away from the wand; she had been so close to it. Now there was no hope, she would surely be killed. Not even the sound of footsteps coming up the stairs was enough to save her as Malfoy raised his wand. ”Avada Kedav…”.

”Expelliarmus!” came another voice.

Malfoy’s wand flew from he hand, and the wand that he held in his robes, Ginny’s wand, shot from his robes and landed with a rattle next to Ginny; she reached out and snatched it up before she turned to look at the door; standing in the doorway, wands outstretched, were Ron, Hermione, and Lupin.

“Ginny!” shouted Ron, abandoning all pretence and rushing towards his sister.

“Ron! No!” yelled Lupin.

Too late did Ron see Malfoy shoot a fist towards him. Ron winced as Malfoy’s fist connected with his jaw, before he knew what was happening, Malfoy had stolen his wand from him and had it jammed up under his throat. Ron snarled as he smelt Malfoy’s stale breath and heard him growl into his ear.

“Not so hot without Potter, are you, Weasley? Well, maybe you take a look over the edge of this tower. I think you’ll be surprised.”

Malfoy flicked Ron’s wand, “Accio!” He hissed. His own wand, which was lying several feet away from him sprung into his grasp.

Hermione and Lupin both had their wands trained on Malfoy. Ginny had used the distraction to use her own wand to heal her wounds, she was still sore, but at least she was alive. She got to her feet and brandished her wand at Malfoy, who sneered as he saw her.

“Well, well, the littlest Weasel has some guts after all,” he smirked, before whispering in Ron’s ear once again, “How does it feel, Weasley? Knowing your little sister is better than you?”

“Bugger off, Malfoy,” Ron muttered, choking slightly as Malfoy tightened his arm around his neck.

“Tut, tut. That’s not very nice at all. I’ll have to teach you a lesson.”

“Let him go, Malfoy! It’s over. You’ve lost!” said Hermione, a determined look on her face as she took a step closer to Malfoy.

“You shut your mouth, Mudblood! I don’t take orders from you! I don’t take orders from anyone!”

Malfoy waved his own wand, and Ron shot from his grasp like a bullet from a gun, he crashed into Hermione and the two of them went sailing into the wall. Ginny ran towards them while Lupin dodged a stunning spell shot by Malfoy, he shot his wand back up, but Malfoy was gone, a distant figure on a broomstick flew through the air, hurtling away from the Tower.

“He’s gone,” Lupin said sadly. “Ginny, where is Harry?”

Ginny stood up from the tangled mess that was Ron and Hermione, “Oh my god, Harry! Remus, you stay here and look after these two, I’ve got to go find Harry!”

“Ginny, what…”

But Ginny was already gone; she had bolted towards the door, and began sprinting down the staircase.

He can’t have gone. He can’t have gone. He can’t have gone, she told herself, as she ran down the spiral staircase.

She emerged at the bottom of the staircase and ran towards the spot where Harry had fallen.

Please let him be okay. I can’t lose him! It’s not fair! Ginny thought as she approached the spot she was looking for.

Lying in front of her was Harry; she cried out loud and knelt down beside him. Harry was in a bad way - he was battered, bloodied and broken.

But he was alive.

Just.

His eyes were wide open, but the warmth that shone from them was missing, replaced by fear. It was plain to see, Harry Potter was terrified.

“Oh my god, Harry.” She felt the warmth of her tears as they fell down her face; she tasted their salty flavour as they rolled onto her lips. “Harry…please. You can’t leave me!”

“Ginny?” said a voice behind her. Ginny spun around and saw the figures of Colin Creevy and Luna Lovegood walking towards her.

“Luna, Colin, go and fetch Madam Pomfrey!”

“Ginny, what?”

“Go! Now! Go!” she bellowed at them.

Neither of them asked any further questions, they turned away from Ginny and broke into a sprint, running as fast as they could towards the hospital wing.

Ginny watched them leave and turned back to Harry; his breathing was getting shallower by the minute, his green eyes, usually so full of life, were taking on a greyish tinge, they were still fixed firmly upon Ginny, but they were beginning to close. Ginny cried even louder as she saw his eyes close completely. Madam Pomfrey would not make it in time. Ginny blinked back tears as she held Harry close to her, her mind raced, there must be something she could do.

Then it hit her. The notebook. The spell. Something she hoped never to have to use.

Ginny allowed herself a brief moment of hope; it had to work. She laid Harry back on the ground; his chest still moved up and down, but only just. She drew her wand and pointed it at the love of her life.

“A…A…” The words would not come.

Relax, Ginny. You can do it, a voice inside her head told her, Harry’s voice.

She steadied herself, and pointed her wand again. “AMOR VIGORATUS!” she bellowed, she closed her eyes, she could not even bear to watch as a white light emanated from the end of her wand, surrounding Harry, lifting his broken body from the floor. The light penetrated his body; another jet of light of white light branched off of the main beam, and surrounded Ginny. Ginny struggled to stay conscious as the light penetrated her body, her wand was shaking uncontrollably, and her strength was rapidly draining from her body.

“Harry!” she yelled, as darkness began to take over her. With her last ounce of strength, she reached for his hand, his fingers closing around hers as she slipped into darkness.





A/N - Well, well, well, we're nearing the end now, next Chapter soon.
Chapter Twenty - A Question Without An Answer by Sectumsempra
Author's Notes:
Ginny wakes up in the hospital wing, her family surrounding her, and Harry unconscious in the bed next to hers. Despite everybody’s best efforts, Harry will not wake up. He can’t really be gone? Can he? Ginny asks herself.
Chapter Twenty - A Question Without An Answer


The hospital wing came into view as Ginny’s eyes forced themselves open. She blinked as the light shone through the windows, illuminating the darkness in which Ginny had been unconscious.

It took Ginny a moment to realise that she was not alone in the Hospital Wing. She could overhear the shrill voice of her mother, and the sharp voice Ginny recognised as belonging to Madam Pomfrey, the school nurse.

“…Calm down, Molly. She’ll wake soon.”

“…What happened to her, Poppy? And to Harry?”

Madam Pomfrey sighed. “I wish I knew, Molly. I wish I knew.”

Ginny heard her mum give a sniffle, and quickly closed her eyes as Mrs Weasley looked towards her daughter; she could not think why, but Ginny did not want to reveal that she was awake just yet. Thoughts of Harry filled her head as she closed her eyes, she saw him falling, and she remembered rushing to his body, casting the spell and then nothing, just blackness.

Ginny heard footsteps approach her bedside as she lay perfectly still; she heard Hermione’s soothing voice beside her, and felt the bed sink slightly as Hermione sat down beside her.

“Oh, Ginny…wake up, you’ve got to. Harry needs you.”

Ginny’s eyes snapped open. “Where is he?” she demanded, fixing Hermione with a stare.

Hermione let out a shriek and fell off of the bed in shock. “Ginny! You’re awake!”

Ginny opened her mouth to respond, but was interrupted by the high-pitched squeal of Mrs Weasley, “Ginny! Oh, Ginny! You’re okay! I knew you would be okay!”

Ginny struggled to breathe as Mrs Weasley threw herself on top of her and wrapped her arms tightly around her. “Mum… can’t…breathe,” she spluttered.

“Give her some room, Mum,” a voice called over the commotion, and Mrs Weasley retracted her arms from around Ginny revealing Fred, George, Bill and Ron standing behind her, all of them were looking embarrassed at their Mum’s behaviour, but all looked equally thrilled to see that Ginny was awake.

A thousand questions flew through Ginny’s mind as she stared at the crowd of people gathered around her, however, her eyes shifted back on to Hermione.

“You never answered my question, Hermione,” she said coolly.

Ginny could see Hermione’s eyes go wide as she looked at her.

“What question was that, Gin?” asked Fred and George at the same time, neither of them had seen the look on Hermione’s face.

“Where’s Harry?”

Immediately Ginny felt guilty for asking, watching as the expressions on each of her companions faces faded from their initial joy at her own awakening, to a pain and grief that was no doubt caused by Harry’s condition.

For a moment there was silence, Ginny’s mind raced during the quiet, thoughts of the worst entered her head. Harry could not be dead… surely not. It was Harry Potter, the Boy Who Lived “ he must be alive, he had to be.

Ginny stared fiercely at her family and Hermione, waiting for an answer, that she got it when Mrs Weasley shooed Ron and Bill out of the way.

As they moved, Ginny could see the bed next to hers; lying there, unmoving and unconscious was Harry Potter, no longer bloodied and broken, just very, very still.

“He’s not… dead?” Ginny asked, her voice quivering as she struggled to hold back the tears that were threatening to escape her.

“He’s not dead, Miss Weasley.” Ginny looked up as Madam Pomfrey interjected, the Hogwarts resident nurse had come over to check up on Harry, she was checking his breathing as she spoke, “He’s still alive, his breathing remains steady, his wounds have healed, as far as I can tell he is completely healthy, he’s just unconscious, but nothing will rouse him.”

The tears started pouring down her face as Ginny could hold them in no longer, what was wrong with Harry? Why wouldn’t he wake up? Was this because of what Malfoy had done, or because of what Ginny herself had done?

“Ginny, dear, what happened to Harry?” Mrs Weasley asked kindly, stroking her daughter’s hair as she did so.

“I don’t know, Mum,” Ginny began, “Harry had come to try and save me, he lowered his wand to Malfoy so nothing would happen to me, and Malfoy hexed him, and blasted him off of the top of the Astronomy Tower. I managed to disarm Malfoy using Harry’s wand, but he escaped, I rushed down to where Harry landed and saw him lying there, broken and bloodied.” Ginny paused to wipe the tears out of her eyes. “I remembered something, an incantation that I had read in the notebook Harry had given me for my birthday, I used it, but I don’t know what was supposed to happen… it might be my fault that Harry is lying there like that.” Ginny broke down completely as the realisation that it could be her fault dawned upon her.

“Don’t be silly, dear, it wasn’t your fault,” Mrs Weasley started.

“How do you know that?!” Ginny snapped.

Ron opened his mouth to speak at this point, but seemed to think better of it, instead Hermione spoke, “Ginny, Harry wouldn’t have wanted you to learn a spell that would do this to him, I’m sure he’ll be fine, he probably just needs a lot of rest.”

“Of course it wasn’t your fault, don’t be so silly,” Madam Pomfrey snapped. “Whatever spell it was that you cast on him saved his life, I have no doubt about that.”

Ginny smiled through her tears, Hermione was right, Harry wouldn’t have wanted her to learn a spell that would leave him in limbo.

“Can you give me a minute alone with him?” Ginny asked, looking around at her family.

It was Mr Weasley who spoke first, “Of course Ginny, take as long as you need.” And he ushered the rest of the Weasleys out of the hospital wing, Hermione leaving hand in hand with Ron, Lupin however stayed behind.

“Ginny, I know how you feel about Harry, you must stay positive, for his sake, if he is lost on his way back, he’ll need your love to find his way.” He smiled at Ginny, before speaking again, “I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news, but your N.E.W.T’s start tomorrow.” Lupin smiled again, turned, and left Ginny alone next to Harry.

Ginny got up out of her bed, and walked over to where Harry lay, she sat down next to him on the bed, and took his still hand in hers, weeping softly to herself, and sat with him for hours, until she was interrupted by a stern voice.

“Miss Weasley.” Ginny gave a small jump in fright and turned to see Professor McGonagall stood behind her. “I think you should head up to your dormitory now, your N.E.W.T’s start tomorrow, you need to rest. I will, of course, permit you to visit Mr Potter at any time you desire, but for now, you must leave him.”

“No, I can’t leave him, I don’t care about my exams, all I want is Harry back.”

McGonagall looked as though she was about to shout, but instead her expression softened, and when she spoke again, her voice was full of sympathy, “Ginny, we all hope Harry makes a full recovery, and I am sure that he will, like I have said, I will permit you to see him at any time you wish, but for now, you must get some rest.”

“Can I stay here with him tonight?”

McGonagall said nothing for a moment, apparently thinking. “Of course you can, I shall inform Madam Pomfrey, but you must be ready for your exams by nine o’clock tomorrow morning, you first exam will be Charms. Goodnight, Miss Weasley.” As she left she waved her wand, causing Harry’s bed to extend to twice its usual size, making room for Ginny to lie beside him. Within a moment of lying down next to Harry, Ginny’s eyes were closed, and she fell into a deep sleep once more.

“Ginny! Ginny! Wake up, you’re going to be late!” Ginny groaned, as she opened her eyes and saw Luna Lovegood and Colin Creevy standing by the side of the bed, fully clothed and ready for their exams. Ginny sat bolt upright and looked at Harry, there was no visible change in him since the day before, but Ginny could swear that his breathing had become more pronounced. Ginny leaned over and kissed him goodbye, and rushed up to the Gryffindor dormitory, grabbing her wand and getting dressed, she then rushed to her first exam with Colin and Luna.

Ginny found herself with less and less time to visit Harry, she had to get her N.E.W.T exams out of the way before she could concentrate on seeing him again. She sat her exams one by one, until finally the last one had finished, as soon as the examiner had announced that they could leave, Ginny ran as fast as she could to the hospital wing to find Ron and Hermione gathered around Harry’s bedside.

“Hi, Ginny, how did your exams go?” asked Hermione, lifting her gaze from Harry and meeting Ginny’s eyes.

“They were fine, had a little trouble with Potions, but other than that, no problems,” Ginny replied, looking from Hermione, to Ron, to Harry.

“What do you think you’ll do after school?” Ron said, whilst giving Ginny a brotherly hug.

“I don’t know. I want to make sure Harry is okay first of all, if, no, when he is better, I thought maybe I’d like to teach Charms here.”

Hermione beamed at this remark. “We’ll both be teachers then “ that would be brilliant!”

Ron sighed. “It’s alright for you two, I don’t know what I want to do anymore.”

Hermione looked up in shock at Ron. “I thought you wanted to be an Auror?”

“I did, but it won’t be the same if Harry isn’t there with me.”

It was Ginny’s turn to look at Ron in shock. “Why wouldn’t Harry be there? He’s going to be okay you know!”

“I know, Ginny, I know, but Harry isn’t welcome at the Ministry any more, I heard it all when I went to find him after he disappeared from Hogsmeade. He broke into the Ministry’s supply of Veritaserum, made an unauthorised visit to Azkaban, the only reason he hasn’t been arrested is because he’s Harry Potter, but I was told by Rufus Scrimgeour himself that Harry was no longer welcome to train as an Auror.”

Ginny felt sick, Harry had gone to the Ministry to try and find information about her, and had succeeded in losing his job, the one job he had wanted to do since his forth year at Hogwarts. “Surely they’d take him back, he’s Harry Potter!”

Ron shook his head. “They don’t think he has the right temperament for an Auror.”

“But with Malfoy still out there…?”

“I know, Ginny, I am well aware of it,” Ron snapped, “but Harry will not be welcomed back into the Ministry!”

Ginny opened her mouth to retort but fell silent; Hermione, was silent as well, looking more than a little awkward at being trapped between the two Weasleys, Ron was seething, his face red.

Ginny turned back to Harry, she gazed at him, her big brown eyes welling up again as she looked at his lifeless form, when a pair of vivid green eyes opened, staring right at her.

Ginny nearly fell off of the bed in shock, those eyes were still staring at her. “Harry?” she whispered. Ron and Hermione’s eyed both darted down to where Harry was laying, his eyes resting on each of them, and then back to Ginny.

“Hi, Ginny,” Harry croaked, in a voice that hadn’t been used in a long time. “Ron, Hermione.”

Hermione burst into tears, Ron was looking at Harry like he was looking at a ghost, his face as white as a sheet, Ginny however, just smiled. “You’re back.”

“I’m back.”

“How?”

Harry propped himself up on his pillows, and took a deep breath. “You used my spell didn’t you?”

“Yes, but I…” Ginny started.

“Don’t worry, you did it properly, it worked just like it worked when I used it on you, just before Christmas.”

“What does it do?”

“Brings a loved one back from the point of death, I started researching it just after Dumbledore died. I worked under his belief that love is stronger than any kind of magic, and although I couldn’t find a spell that could counter ‘Avada Kedavra’, or bring someone back from the dead, I was able to create the spell that we have both used.”

“How does it work?”

“Well, the caster must have deep feelings of love in order for it to work, that’s why no dark wizard would ever be able to use it “ they cannot love to the degree that is needed. When the spell is cast, part of the casters soul is transferred to the injured person, that part of the soul heals wounds, eventually becoming part of the person, in this case, part of your soul became linked with mine.”

“And part of yours linked with mine?”

“That’s right.”

“Why was I unconscious after casting it?”

“It takes a huge effort, only those with huge feelings of love can cast the spell, anyone can say the words, but they won’t do anything unless there is love behind them. You passed out because you were prepared to give me part of you in order to heal me. The part of your soul that you gave to me is restored during your period of unconsciousness, making your soul whole again.”

Ginny blinked and looked at Harry, she couldn’t believe that she had saved his life, part of her soul was now part of him, and part of his soul was part of her.

Harry was looking at Hermione and Ron, both of them were now as white as sheet, looking at him in awe.

“Guys, it’s great to see you, but I think Ginny and I need a moment alone.”

Hermione spoke first, “Sure, Harry, its great to have you back.” And she gave him a hug, and took Ron’s hand and went to leave, Ron wasn’t ready to go though, he was still staring at Harry.

Ron slowly held his hand out to Harry, and Harry shook it, before pulling Ron into a brotherly hug. Ron pulled back, grinning. “See you, Harry, Ginny.”

Harry watched the two of them leave and turned back to Ginny, who was smiling at him. “Now, Miss Weasley, care to join me on a walk of the grounds?”

“It would be my pleasure, Mr Potter,” she replied, smiling more than ever and helping Harry to his feet.

Harry and Ginny walked around the grounds together, until they arrived at the lake, the place where they kissed after Harry had saved Ginny in the Quidditch match. Harry stopped as they reached the lakeside, and turned to face Ginny.

“Ginny, I need to ask you something, I’ve been thinking about it for a while now, I was going to ask you in Hogsmeade, but…” he trailed off, and reached into his robes, Ginny couldn’t believe what she was seeing as Harry lowered himself to one knee and took her hand in his, “Ginevra Molly Weasley, will you marry me?” Harry opened the little velvet box in his other hand, inside was a shining silver ring, engraved with the message ‘I’ve got all I ever needed in you.’ “It was my mother’s, my father gave it to her the day he asked her to marry him. It’s one of the few things of theirs that I’ve managed to find.”

Ginny began to cry, not out of sadness, but out of joy, she’d refused him once, and had spent over a year regretting it, she wasn’t about to make the same mistake twice. “Of course I’ll marry you, Harry!” she shrieked excitedly, beaming from ear to ear, Harry’s face broke into a huge smile as he slid the ring onto her finger, and stood up to take her in his arms, he kissed her and held her tight, before breaking away.

“We better go tell everyone.”

“I’ve got six brothers, are you sure you know what you’re doing?” Ginny teased.

“Never been more sure of anything in my life.”

“Harry?

“Yes?”

“What are you going to do now that you’re not welcome back as an Auror?”

Harry looked at her; this was just one reason why he loved her so much, even at a time like this, she could always speak what was on her mind. “Oh, I thought I might send Oliver Wood an owl.”

Asking no more questions, Ginny smiled as Harry took her hand in his, leading her back to the castle for the last time.

What a perfect way to leave school, Ginny thought to herself, as she and Harry entered the castle together, as night set on the first day of the rest of their lives.




Draco cursed under his breath as he made his way down the corridor; the lilac walls seemed to close in upon him as he felt the shaggy carpet underneath his feet. He took a deep breath as he neared the ornate mahogany door which grew closer and closer. He raised his hand to knock, hesitated a moment, and then knocked on the door.

“Enter,” said a deep, coarse voice from behind the door.

Draco pushed the door open and strode into the dark room; he smirked as he saw the silhouette standing beside the window.

“Potter?” hissed the coarse voice that belonged to the Minister of Magic.

Draco smirked. “…Dead.”

“You’re sure?” the voice asked quickly.

Draco’s smirk flashed into the same dangerous smile he wore most of the time. “Absolutely.”

Laughter filled the air, cold, high, mocking laughter. “Then why is he, at this very moment, walking the grounds of your old school with the Weasley girl?”

Draco face froze in shock. “What?”

“You heard me, Draco, you failed… again. I grow tired of your failure.” Draco made a noise to interrupt, but the voice continued to speak, “Do not interrupt me, Malfoy, know your place. I could have you put back in Azkaban any time I wish.”

“Forgive me, sir,” Draco replied, “What can be done?”

“Ginny Weasley wears the ring, she and Potter are in love. This is not helpful news to us, Draco. You must destroy that love.”

“How?” Draco asked, completely bewildered by it all, how could Harry Potter still be alive?

“You must find the Book of Malice, an object though long lost, only through the incantations in that tome will you be able to permanently obliterate the love that Potter and Weasley share.”

“Where will I find the book, sir?” Draco asked eagerly, anxious to cause yet more pain to Harry and Ginny.

“I shall tell you, but first, come closer, sit with me.”

Draco crossed the floor of the candlelit room and found a chair at the desk. He pulled out the rough wooden chair and sat down.

“The Book is hidden far from here, deep in the heart of Bulgaria, you must travel quickly, this cannot wait. Go now, Draco, succeed, and I shall reward you beyond all others.”

Draco nodded and stood up; he pushed his chair back under the table before he headed for the door. “Thank you, sir.”

The voice laughed. “You know I dislike the term ‘Sir’, Draco.”

Draco laughed. “Of course, Minister.”

The door slammed shut behind him.

THE END.




A/N - Well...that's all for this story, it's been a long road here, but I think it's been worth it, thanks to all my readers, without you, there's no point in writing, thanks to everyone who has left reviews, sorry I've been too busy to respond to most of them, and thanks to Robyn, thanks for taking a chance on my little story and making it better, you rock! Thanks again everyone, Lee.