Letting Go by scarletti
Summary: Draco and Hermione share a moment of understanding in their 5th year at Hogwarts. Two years later, Draco needs to tell Hermione a secret that only she will understand. This is a one-shot deal. :) Please read and review!
Categories: Hermione/Draco Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 6384 Read: 2068 Published: 07/27/05 Updated: 07/27/05

1. Letting Go by scarletti

Letting Go by scarletti
Author's Notes:
EDIT 31 JANUARY 2008: I have revised the story since i last wrote it, and i thought that everyone would like to read the revised version. Enjoy! Please comment, i'd love to hear feedback!
Draco Malfoy had spent the last two years with a deadly secret, one only to be kept to himself. It was finally his last year at Hogwarts and he still was trapped. Perhaps I’ll rid myself of this burden, he thought to himself angrily. Draco looked across the Great Hall and found that he was staring at Hermione Granger joking with her boyfriend Ron Weasley and her best friend Harry Potter, his sworn enemy. I don't understand it, he thought. Why her?

Draco forced himself to eat his food. For being a rather popular Slytherin, he found himself feeling isolated. Perhaps because nobody would understand, nor would they ever, ever, take the time to realize that he was serious.

Draco desired Hermione in the most careful, secret, and loving way any enemy could ever love someone that loathed them. I hate her smile, he thought. It makes me want to kiss her.

He ate some of his sausage and potatoes carefully, continuing to think about Hermione. It had started their fifth year, on a very random, ordinary day. I can remember it so well, Draco thought bitterly. It was a Tuesday, at dinner. It was the day that we made the connection.

It started a few days before the first Hogsmede trip that year. That evening, Hermione had just walked into the Great Hall with her best friend Ron from coming outside in the pouring rain. She sat down and talked with her fellow Gryffindors, exclaiming about how rainy the day was. After Dumbledore had made his announcements and the food arrived on the table, Draco found himself watching Hermione. It was first in jealousy that he watched her. He couldn’t stand her perfections; the best witch in his year was a Mudblood. It made him irate beyond belief. As he sat down, he thought about why his anger and jealousy were hand in hand. He kept thinking, and thinking, trying to understand. When he had looked up from his plate of food and stared in her direction again, he shocked himself. She’s happy without me in her life. The thought was a double-edged sword; he didn’t need any sense of approval from her in his life, but he found himself wishing it were different. As Draco watched Hermione, he saw her look over at Ron with an adoring smile. She loved him, even though they weren’t dating at the time. Draco then felt sick to his stomach realizing that she loved a Weasel. Hermione turned her head and saw Draco looking at her as they made eye contact.

Nothing was said under their breaths; no hatred in either's eyes. They looked into each other and simply saw one another as individuals. It was a horrible feeling inside, but he found himself thriving on that forbidden emotion, the enjoyment of the fact that for the first time, he saw her as a beautiful person. It was all in all too much. He could tell Hermione had felt the shift as she broke the eye contact. That alone made his heart skip it’s first beat.

Draco tried to ignore that memory for two years, and as a result, it became more powerful. He began to notice small things about her that made him fall for Hermione. In their classes together, he loved how she would focus on that topic at that time to make sure that she had every single detail understood. Draco loved that Hermione became feistier over the years and was more vocal towards him. He picked on her and her friends just so he could see her angry; he loved her anger. There was passion inside of Hermione… he loved seeing it whenever they had a row. The perfections he once hated became something he saw in a beautiful light. And when the time came, when Ronald Weasley and Hermione Granger officially were an item, Draco watched them from a distance, and what he saw cemented his love for her. It wasn’t Weasley himself that he cared for, rather it was the way she loved him, which seemed to make him fall deeper. He countlessly found himself over and over again, wanting to be Ron Weasley. More than anything, that made him feel disgusting and sick inside. The only thing that Weasley had that Draco didn't have was Hermione Granger.

This has gone on long enough, he thought to himself, looking down at his food. I need to tell her. It's not enough just to hope that this will rid itself and leave me alone. Maybe then this curse will be lifted off of me.

It was decided then. Draco would send her a message over breakfast the next day and tell her to meet him in the evening. He’d meet her by the lakeside and all that was meant to be would reveal itself. He smiled inwardly. Telling Hermione that he loved her would be the stupidest thing he had ever done in his entire life, but he knew that if she knew, perhaps he would be relieved from this whole situation.

---

Hermione sat in the common room waiting for Ron and Harry to come down. She smiled at Ginny whom had just come downstairs for breakfast. Inside she knew that Ginny loved Harry, it was only a matter of time before they got together. Harry’s getting there, Gin. Be patient, she thought.

"G'morning," Ginny yawned as she sat down next to Hermione.

"Morning Gin," Hermione and Ginny embraced in a sisterly hug. Since Ron and Hermione had started dating, Ginny and Hermione had become even closer. Close enough to consider each other a sister.

“Where are the boys?” Ginny asked.

“Right here,” Ron said. He leaned down and kissed Hermione on the lips softly. “G’morning, love.”

Hermione smiled, “Morning.”

Hermione watched Harry and Ginny as they greeted each other. They are being careful, aren’t they? Yes… they are. She smiled while watched them as she got up to hug Ron. She fit perfectly inside him when they held each other close. His chin could rest on Hermione’s head. It was a small thing, but she loved it.

“Breakfast, shall we?” Harry asked.

“Yeah,” Ron said, kissing the top of Hermione’s head. “Let’s go, I’m starving!”

They walked down to the Great Hall where they greeted all of their friends. Professor Dumbledore had given his brief announcements as everyone sat down and ate. Ron sloppily rushed eating his food, as if the food would run away if he didn’t eat it all right then.

"Honestly Ron," Hermione said. "Calm down, your food isn't going anywhere. ” And don't bother replying until you've finished swallowing."

“And you know that how?” Ron grinned at her, as he finished swallowing his food.

“Oh, come here,” she wiped his mouth with her napkin. “What would you do without me?”

“No idea love,” Ron said, grinning as he squeezed her hand lightly.

Hermione squeezed his hand back as she looked up and saw the owls deliver the mail for the morning. There were only a few, and it looked like one was heading towards Gryffindor’s table. A small school owl dropped a note off in her lap. What’s this? She thought to herself. “I never get personal mail in the mornings!”

“Who’s it from?” Ron leaned over her shoulder.

“Well I don’t know,” Hermione said.

“Open it so I can see.”

“Be patient, Ron,” she said, nudging him away so she could read it on her own first.

Hermione”

I need to talk to you about something.
Meet me at the lake after dinner so we
can chat. I look forward to seeing you.

--DM


Hermione gasped. Draco Malfoy? Why on earth would he send her this cryptic letter? She looked up in his direction. Draco was already looking at her. What do you want? she said, narrowing her eyes.

Draco seemed to understand and smiled. Don’t worry, I won’t do anything bad, he replied with his eyes twinkling at her.

You expect me to believe you full-heartedly? she asked him.

Yes. Trust me, he said.

How can I? Hermione looked away. This was ridiculous. What could he possibly want with her? She looked at him again. This time she saw him talking to his friends, acting as if nothing had happened.

Then it hit her. Hermione flashed back to the day a couple of years ago where she and Malfoy had made a connection. It was scary, and she didn’t trust it for one second. It was the most genuine moment that Malfoy and she had shared. She didn’t tell anyone about it; no one would really take the time to believe that they had once shared a true understanding of each other. It was so easy, Hermione remembered. It was incredibly powerful, even if it was only for a minute or two. Though she was with Ron, and she was truly happy with him, she had never felt that shock of pleasure with anyone else. Malfoy continued to be a dirty rat from then on, only becoming worse and worse as the years passed. She finally grew up and stood for herself and her friends. The glint of satisfaction in his eyes whenever he made her angry truly made her feel sick inside. What kind of twisted fool would get such pleasure out of this?

Hermione shook her head. Enough was enough. She looked at Ron, whom in return was waving his hand in her face, trying to figure out what just happened. She saw Harry look to her, and back to Malfoy, confusion on his face. He had seen that exchange, but knowing him, Hermione knew he wouldn’t say anything. She forced herself to look back to Ron, who was now sweeping a tendril of hair away from her face.

“’Hermione,” he said. “Love, is everything okay?”

Hermione smiled and kissed his lips. “Yes,” she replied. “Everything’s just fine.”

“Are you sure?” Ginny said. “You looked a bit scared for a second.”

“Don’t worry,” Hermione reassured her friends. “I’m okay.”

“What did the note say? Who was it from?” Ron asked cautiously.

She ignored the first question and went to the second. It would be easier, and she would have to tell them about who it was. “Malfoy,” Hermione said. She didn’t look at Ron as she said it. Instead, she found herself looking at Harry, who’s eyes were wide. Then they turned to slits of caution as he watched her. Ron may not always be the most observant when angry”as he was bound to be now”but Harry was always aware. She focused on Ron agaon.

“What did the dirty ferret want?” Ron said, anger rising in his voice.

“Nothing,” Hermione said. “Don’t worry about it Ron. I can take care of myself.”

“What did he want?” Ron repeated the demand.

“Honestly Ron, relax,” Hermione said, finding herself put her hand lightly on his arm. “Don’t burden yourself with that worry. It was nothing.”

“Are you sure?” Harry asked quietly. “If he’s up to something we need to know so we can make sure you’re alright.”

“Harry,” Hermione said with a smile. “He’s not up to anything. If he was, I’d tell you guys.” The truth was, she knew exactly what he was doing now. But Hermione knew that bringing her boyfriend and their best mate into the situation was not a good idea. She understood now that it had something to do with that connection Malfoy and she had a couple of years ago.

“Okay,” Ron said, relaxing. “If you need us, tell me okay? I’m not letting anything happen to you.”

“Thank you, Ron,” Hermione replied. She looked at her muggle watch and realized they needed to go to class. “Come on boys, we need to go to Potions. You know Snape will be tempted to hex us into oblivion if we’re late.”

“Hermione! I don’t wanna go!” Ron started complaining.

“Come on big baby,” Hermione started dragging Ron to class. “Harry, if you think for one second I’m going to let you be late””

“Yeah, yeah,” Harry replied, grinning as he quickly kissed Ginny on the cheek. “Bye, Gin.”

Ginny felt herself grow crimson. “Bye,” she said, barely managing to get it out as she gathered her stuff to go to her first class.

Hermione laughed as Ron, Harry, and herself walked to class. Way to go Harry, she said to herself.

---

Hermione had been dreading this rendezvous with Malfoy all day. As she came upon the lakeside of the school, she saw the familiar silver hair waiting for her.

“Right on time,” Draco smiled at her.

“What’s going on?” Hermione asked, stopping short of a few feet away from Draco.

“Hello to you too,” Draco sneered. “Come on. Let’s go on a walk.”

“What’s going on?” Hermione repeated. She didn’t want to get any closer to him if she thought there was going to be any danger.

“Hermione”” Draco started. He took a few steps closer to her as she took the same amount away from him.

“You’re calling me by my first name,” Hermione stated. She was starting to get angry. “What are you doing?”

Draco had enough. He carefully took enough steps towards her so she didn’t walk away from him. “Look. Do you”do you remember fifth year, that one day?”

“What about it?”

“I haven’t forgot it.”

“Neither have I,” said Hermione.

“I don’t think you understand,” Draco replied.

“Is that what you came to tell me?” Hermione responded impatiently. “To bring me here and remind me of an old memory then tell me that I don’t understand anything?”

“No!” Draco shouted. He got himself back together. If he was going to do this correctly, he’d have to be in control of himself. “Look. This is why I wanted to take a walk. It’s for privacy. I’m not setting you up for anything. I just need to tell you something so perhaps we can solve a problem of mine.”

“You want me to help you?” Hermione asked quietly.

“Yes,” Draco replied. The thought repulsed him. He never went to anyone for help, even when he was dying for it. But he never anticipated being in a position like this one”and he had done all he could by himself. The problem never went away, and the only person who could help him was the mudblood in front of him. It made him sick again, and his stomach churned unhelpfully at the thought.

Hermione looked at him suspiciously to see if there was any ulterior motive. After a moment or two of silence, she found herself finding nothing in his eyes, his body language, or his presence that showed a threat to her. All she found was Draco the way she saw him that one moment two years ago. Just another individual with their own thoughts, feelings, and actions; the ties to her boyfriend and friends were gone. Hermione let herself go, hoping that it was the right thing to do. “Okay,” she said. “But if you try anything, I'll hex you into next Tuesday. Got that Malfoy?”

“Fine,” he retorted. “I'll fight back though, you know.”

“Then lets agree to not aggravate each other,” Hermione replied. “After all, you’re the one who asked me to be here.”

Draco let that pass. The enemy inside of him was angry at her for provoking him, but he had to be reasonable. She was right, after all.

When he didn’t respond with a retort, Hermione met up with him and they started to walk around the lake. Neither of them said anything for a while. Hermione found herself watching Hogwarts and it’s surroundings change and adjust to the fall season. Draco tried to calm himself down while he walked with Hermione. She smelled sweet, like hyacinth and lavander. The wind blew her hair in her face while she attempted to contain it as she walked. Enough time had passed that he was beginning to feel comfortable with her. Draco seemed let himself go, not worrying about his father, Weasel or Potter, or what anyone else at their school and what they might say. He reminded himself that this was possibly the only time he’d get alone with Hermione. Just get this done, he reminded himself. Just get it done so you don’t have to look at her across the Great Hall and be reminded that you never attempted trying to get this fixed.

“Hermione,” Draco sighed.

“What is it?” She said. This time, there was no sound of feeling threatened, she sounded calm. It seemed as though the walk had released the tension for her as well.

How was he going to do this? Draco stopped walking and watched Hermione continue to walk until she figured out that he wasn't beside her. He chuckled to himself as she came back to him. She really was beautiful. The familiar twist in his gut churned as he thought about her. He kept reminding himself he didn’t want this, but he knew that it was everything he needed.

“So what’s this problem?” Hermione asked.

He wanted to just blurt it out: Despite my better nature, everything I've known to be true in my life thus far, I seemed to have fallen in love wth you. It makes me sick inside. Instead, he knew he had to ease her into this. Sworn enemies usually do not fall in love with each other. This would be a little difficult to explain. And even if they did, he mused, it always ended in disaster. He tried not to think about that too much.

“Well,” he started. “It uh, ” seems to have started that one day. You know”when we made eye contact.” This was much harder than he ever anticipated. He sounded like a bumbling idiot. This was not encouraging at all.

“Well I figured that much,” Hermione smiled.

Great Merlin, she is beautiful when she smiles, he thought. A familiar stabbing feeling in his gut churned at the thought. He forced himself to focus.

“Now what about it?” Hermione continued. She looked concerned, and that seemed to bring him out of his daze.

“Well it first started”” he started to say. “Wait, before I tell you this, I need you to tell me what you felt when you experienced it, and then I’ll continue.”

“Why me first?” she asked.

“Because it’ll make everything easier for me,” Draco replied. He was asking her to do something for him again. But it was true, if he could understand her side, maybe he will have found the courage needed to be honest.

Hermione laughed, “What could you possibly have to tell me that makes it so difficult for you?”

“Uh”no comment,” he said. “Okay, Hermione, tell me what you felt.”

Hermione felt like making this difficult for him. She liked the feeling of power she felt in the moment. “Maybe I shouldn’t.” she started to tease. Draco felt his insides implode”the thought of having to tell her first. He couldn't handle it.

“No, Hermione, please,” he started. Draco was losing his cool. This miserable train wreck was heading down hill at a faster pace than he ever anticipated.

“Are you begging me?” she said in her laughter.

Draco had not dreamed of the idea of him begging to a mudblood. That’s exactly what I’m doing. Damnit, this has got to stop, he said to himself. I've got to gain control of myself.

“I’m not going to beg,” Draco said bitterly. “A Malfoy will never go down on his knees to a Mudblood, especially you.” His fingers flexed towards his wand. He wanted to get her for that. Then he remembered that they agreed not to attack each other, and he jerked his fingers away from his wand.

Hermione’s eyes turned dark, as they always did when he said this to her. “Well it certainly seemed like it was heading that way.” She said, feeling just as cold.

“Well it’s not,” Draco replied harshly.

“Well if that’s the case let’s just move on shall we?” Hermione paused. He saw her flex her fingers towards her wand, and then they awkwardly stopped. She seemed to have difficulty honoring the deal as much as he had. Trying not to aggravate each other was one thing when they weren’t speaking. It steadily got worse every time they spoke to one another. He looked up to see whether her eyes were dark again, but they were gone. She had started to walk around the lake again.

“Right,” Draco said, catching up to her. He knew he had pushed the limit calling her a Mudblood, it was a kind of forced habit. Something he did partially for show”but he had meant it with anger this time. Being vulnerable proved tough for him. You brought this upon yourself, a voice told him. Try to make amends, even if you don’t like it.

“Look,” Draco started to say. “I have my reasons for asking you to tell me what you felt first. I’m not going to beg, because””

“”That would be admitting that you were in an inferior position,” Hermione finished accusingly. “And you don’t want to ever be inferior to me, do you?

“Yeah,” Draco muttered. “I don’t.” Apologizing seemed almost as fruitless as trying to confess how he really felt about her. Try again, the voice told him. He sighed.

“Look,” he started again. He was bitter, apologizing to her, and it came out in his tone, “I’m sorry.”

“About what?”

“About”about calling you a”” he groaned internally. “”a Mudblood.” There. Mission accomplished.

“Why?” Hermione asked incredulously. She stopped walking and turned to him. The darkness was still there, fierce in her glare. “You were never sorry before.”

“Well I am now, so let’s forget it alright,” Draco said bitterly. “This would be much easier if I didn’t care.”

“What?” Hermione asked. Her eyes became round with confusion. “Care about what? And what would be different? What on earth are you going on about Malfoy?”

He would skip the caring question for the moment. His next words would have to be careful. “Oh, you know,” Draco sneered. “The whole enemies thing. We could continue on fighting and being adversaries and we wouldn’t ever have to be in this position.”

“Yes, i’m very well aware of the whole enemies thing,” mused Hermione, a smile peering at the corner of her lips. “You aren’t saying something though, and I don’t know what it is. I thought you wanted my help about something.”

“Isn’t it obvious?” Draco was downright angry with himself. No one was going get him to where he needed to be except himself. He wanted to back out of this promise he made himself.

“No,” Hermione replied, shaking her head. “It isn’t, not to me.”

“Figures,” he said. He had meant for that to be a thought.

“What does that mean?” Hermione glared at him.

“That was meant more for myself,” Draco said, almost smiling. She didn’t miss a beat, did she?

“Oh,” Hermione replied quietly.

They continued on walking around the lake and around Hogwarts. Both delayed time; Hermione, because she didn’t know what to say, and Draco, because he knew that this moment was the scariest of his life. But the silence was comforting, and Draco almost forgot about why they were together.

“So,” Hermione started. “You’d like me to tell you what I thought a couple of years ago?”

“Yeah,” Draco said. “It’d be nice to know.”

“And then you’ll tell me what I can help you with?” Hermione asked.

“Yes,” Draco answered.

“Okay,” Hermione said. “Honestly?”

“Honestly.”

“I was scared out of my wits.” Hermione said, smiling. Draco heard himself laughing. It appears he wasn’t the only one. That was a comfort.

“I really was,” Hermione continued. “I knew at that moment something had happened that would change, and I had always hoped that it would be for the better, you know? Like perhaps you and I would argue less and continue to maybe try and understand each other more. I was hoping that you would stop playing devil's advocate and maybe try to understand Harry and Ron, who they were and why things are the way they are and how they evolved into what they are today. I wasn’t looking for friendship, just a kind of understanding for them with you, like we had that brief instant. But the last couple of years have proved me wrong, and for that reason I’m incredibly disappointed.”

She paused, thinking some more. Draco looked at her and felt an immense guilt inside. He had never made anything easier for her or for himself. But he didn’t regret seeing that fire in her eyes whenever he made her angry. It was invigorating, and it always captured him, being the enabler for the flame.

“Is that all?” Draco asked, pushing his emotion aside.

“No, that’s not all,” Hermione blushed.

“What then?”

“For a little while, I was hoping that it would happen again. I was hoping that you and I would talk about it much sooner than we are right now.” Hermione laughed to herself. “I had daydreams about it, thinking that we could solve our issues and try to be civil to each other much earlier on. I really wanted there to be peace.”

Peace. The word stuck in his mind. “Well,” Draco said. “Perhaps we could figure something out.”

‘Why are you doing this?” Hermione asked. “Why are you taking time trying to make me happy?”

You’ll find out, he said to her through his eyes. They stopped walking and watched each other look at one another. Hermione broke away and continued walking. Draco followed her.

“Your turn,” Hermione said.

“Are you ready?” Draco asked.

“Yes,” Hermione smiled again.

“Since that day I think “ no, I know “ that I’ve fallen for you more and more,” Draco said slowly and thoughtfully. Hermione stopped walking. There he had done it, or”at least, he was getting there. Any small achievement in his stead made him a happy man. He grimaced internally though; he had never fought so hard for happiness, and it bothered him.

“What exactly do you mean?” She inquired.

“You’ll figure it out as I tell you,” Draco reassured her. “You’re smart.

“It first started because I was really jealous and angry that you were at Hogwarts. Your existence itself made me irate beyond all belief and I just wanted nothing to do with you. But then I asked myself,”” Draco started. “I asked myself why this started and I surprised myself.”

“How?”

“I realized that you were happy without me in your life. And I was fine with that for the most part, but I also wanted it to be different. I think after we had our moment together I found myself wanting to know you more, but I was sickened by that thought so as a result I took it all out on you.” Draco stopped, and Hermione stopped with him. He had to force himself to say it. Everything had lead up to this point, and the only thing holding him back was his dignity. He took a deep breath, swallowed his pride, and began again.

“But what’s more important is that I’ve ” uh, I’ve”fallen in love with you,” he sighed. “And I couldn’t be more angry”or more scared”””that was tough for him to mention”“”than I ever have been in my entire life. I don’t know what to do, say, or expect. But I was hoping if I, uh”told you, you know, that maybe you could help me.”

“I don’t understand,” Hermione said. Were people always idiots, when they were in love? Draco mused as he thought about what he was going to be forced to say again. He’d try once more, and this time, more straight forward.

“Hermione,” Draco said quietly. “Stop, and look me in the eyes.”

She looked into his eyes, and for the first time in a long time, felt a deep thrill tingle through his body. Her brown eyes were bright and open. He looked further to see tinges of gold”something he had never thought would be there before. The thrill pushed dignity away, and Draco took a few steps closer to her. Hesitantly, softly, he touched her cheek with the gentlest touch with his fingertips. ‘I love you, Hermione,” Draco said. “It’s become more and more real ever since I first saw you simply as you.”

Draco felt her hand touch his lightly, and his body radiated with her touch. He focused on that while she searched his eyes. After a long moment, she spoke. “But I have a boyfriend,” Hermione replied. “Why didn’t you ever say anything?”

“What would you have expected me to do Hermione?” Draco muttered, clearly upset. His hand curved around her cheek fully and felt the warmth of her blush beneath it. “We’re in completely different houses whom despise each other. You were raised as a muggle and I’ve always known that I was a Pureblood. There are too many opposites between us that would have made it impossible. Besides, it’s been torturing me. I tried to make it go way”tried to force myself to see reason, to allow myself to see the flaws and make those reason enough to stop falling deeper for you. But for two years those flaws became light, they became the reason into your beauty. I’ve failed to remove my feelings though, and so I’ve kept this secret.” He heard her inhale softly as he finished, “”and now I’ve found more and more that I needed you”that I needed to tell you.”

“What if I wanted you to tell me sooner?” Hermione whispered.

“What do you mean?” Draco asked, almost viciously.

“What if I had hoped for this when we first understood each other?”

“Are you saying that you love me too?” Draco asked.

“I’m saying that I did,” Hermione said, her hand folding over his. “I had a crush on you for years Draco, more so during our sixth year. But when Ron asked me out the following summer, I couldn’t say no, I was deeply attracted to him. The dream of us together became one of Ron and I, and we grew closer and closer over the last summer and this year. I love him more and more every day.”

“So it’s too late,” Draco said. His heart dropped. Any inkling of hope was gone.

Hermione nodded. “It’s too late.” She said. She felt herself close the gap between the two of them and hugged him around his neck. Every beat slowed down for Draco as he felt Hermione take his hand in hers and wrap it around her waist. And then, so sweetly, her fingers graced his neck with their touch and he felt her body against his. Her loving gesture surprised Draco as he felt his other arm wrap around her waist to close the embrace. He held her tight against him.

“Do I have to let go?” Draco asked.

“No,” Hermione smiled in the nape of Draco’s neck. They held each other for a long time, each becoming more and more comfortable in each other’s arms.

“This feels good,” Hermione said after a while.

“It does,” Draco said softly as he nodded in agreement. He pulled away enough to look down at Hermione, he found himself wanting to kiss her. This may be my only chance, he thought. He resisted though, because he wanted to respect her. He didn’t like Weasel, but he knew she was happy with him, so for her, he’d resist. Even if he couldn’t be with her, he’d sacrifice his indulgences to make sure that she was still happy. It was an odd feeling, love. Draco was happier willing to wait for the years to come and see if it was meant to be, than to fulfill his hasty urges.

“Any chance this may happen?” he asked her, looking into her eyes. He wanted to know his options now.

“Ever?” Hermione wanted to clarify.

“Yes,” Draco cautiously slipped one of his hands around to hold hers. She brought it back down around her waist. When she didn’t object, he squeezed it lightly.

“It depends,” Hermione said.

“On what?” Draco asked.

“The Second War,” Hermione answered. “It depends on how long Ron and I last. If we break up before, then we’ll see. “

Draco nodded in understanding. It was hard knowing that it may never happen, but he found himself more willing to take that risk and wait. “God forbid,” Hermione continued. “But if Ron died in the war, then maybe. But Draco, I really don’t have any clues.”

“I don’t either,” Draco replied sadly. “The suspicion is killing me here.”

“I know,” she smiled. She brushed one of her hands on his cheek softly and leaned in to kiss him.

Draco leaned back. He didn’t want her to regret this; that would spoil it for him. He smiled to himself at his selfish urge. “Are you sure you want to kiss me?” Draco asked. He saw a flicker of fear in her eyes turn to excitement at the challenge.

“Don’t make me change my mind,” Hermione said dangerously. Draco laughed, surprised to see Hermione’s boldness.

It started with caution, the kiss. As they embraced, Hermione unwound their hands from behind her back and wrapped herself tightly around Draco's neck. A moan slipped from his mouth as he felt the passion build up between them; he held her as close as he could while their kisses digressed from hard passion into a soft, open, and tender one. They broke away, and he started back fiercely again. He couldn’t get enough of her taste, the delicacy between the firmness and soft texture of her lips. Her smell was intoxicating and he needed more. Hermione stopped, pulling apart briefly, and then began to kiss individual parts of his face lovingly, softly: Draco’s lips, his nose, throat, temples, each cheek, and finally, his forehead. He kissed the nape of her neck deeply and held his lips there. He felt her cheek rest upon his. Draco heaved a heavy sigh and lightly kissed her neck again as they broke apart from each other.

“I’m sorry, Draco,” she said quietly.

He sighed. He should have known this would be coming. He kissed her lips again softly. “It’s not okay,” he finally said. “But i know you mean it.”

“I know,” she said, softly.

“I love you, Hermione.”

Hermione smiled, despite the sadness in her eyes. “I know. Maybe one day we’ll love each other equally.”

“You know I’ll always wait for you.” Draco said, holding her hand.

“I know,” Hermione responded softly. She gave him one last hug. “Will you make me one last promise?”

“Anything,” Draco responded. After this moment, he would have died for her. It would be the least he could do.

“Be nice to Harry and Ron,” Hermione said. “I know you don’t like them, but for my sake, please don’t aggravate them. They’re good people, even if you don’t see it.”

“As you wish,” Draco replied, kissing her lips one last time. “I’ll leave them be. But don’t blame me if they start something, you can bet I’ll always react”””he saw the look on her face, a pained expression. “”Fine. I won’t bother them, even if they do start it.”

“Thank you,” Hermione smiled. “I’m just asking you to be civil. You don’t necessarily have to be friends with them. But try not to””

“I know what you mean,” Draco said, smiling back at her. He held her tightly against him once more, inhaled her scent for memory. He paused; she’d have to go sooner or later. With final resoluteness, he said, “Go. It’s getting late. Everyone’s going to be going after my head if you don’t come back soon.”

Hermione laughed. “Thank you,” she replied, her soft fingertips reached to touch his cheek once more. “Thank you again, for telling me. I don’t know what the future will hold for us, but perhaps we can work together more, rather than against each other.”

“I couldn’t knowingly go out of my way to hurt you anymore,” Draco responded. “Not after tonight.”

Hermione understood. “Good night,” she said, “Sleep well. Take care of yourself, okay?”

Draco pulled her into one last hug before he said good-bye. “I will,” he said. “If Weasel”er, Ron doesn’t treat you right, let me know okay?”

“Okay,” Hermione smiled. She gave him a quick peck on his cheek before she headed back up to Gryffindor tower. “Bye, Malfoy.”

“Good bye, love.”

Draco watched Hermione leave. He sat by the lake and contemplated his choices. He knew that it was the right thing to do, no matter how much he had wanted to keep her close to him from then on. Draco knew there were promises that he needed to keep, so he stuck to his word. It was very un-Slytherin of him to do so. But after loving a Gryffindor, like Draco did, he realized more and more that she had rubbed off on him. He knew that by letting go, letting himself be what was kept hidden had indeed been stupid, but he knew that he would never have changed anything. It was real, and it kept him alive.





End Notes:
---
A/N: I attempted to make the most realistic Hermione/Draco story possible, and i feel quite accomplished with what the end results were. I hope you guys liked it, i know i had fun writing it. Thanks to my betas, littlewonderful and football_girl. You guys rock my world. :) Please read and review! I really love to hear feed back from the readers. Thanks to those who reviewed in advance, you know i love ya. ;)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=28483