The War Coming In by FannyPrice
Summary:

After some difficulty Lily and James pursue a relationship and face the demands, circumstances, and heartache caused by the war with Lord Voldemort as they grow into adulthood together. Also, with special emphasis on Remus Lupin. Slightly AU.

September 1st, 1977- The Marauders reconvene to discuss new duties and tactics for their final year at Hogwarts.

Chapter 3 is awaiting validation

Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 4519 Read: 6315 Published: 07/28/05 Updated: 09/05/05

1. Old Friends; New Tactics by FannyPrice

2. The Growing Threat by FannyPrice

3. Shooting Him Down by FannyPrice

Old Friends; New Tactics by FannyPrice
A/N: This story is slightly AU, because Remus Lupin is Head boy, not James Potter. I did this, because in OOTP James isn't a prefect, and I assume that in order to be Head boy you would have to have been one. Hagrid, however, in P/S tells us that Lily and James were Head boy/girl, but for this story I assumed that he was mistaken and exaggerating out of love and respect for Lily/James. Hagrid has been known to exaggerate, or so JKR says. There is my justification. All Characters belong to JKR. Enjoy!

James Potter, black hair always tousled, hazel eyes always sparkling, leaned against a pillar near the Hogwarts’ Express. He was talking light-heartedly with his best friend, Sirius Black. Sirius also leaned against the pillar, arms across his chest, one foot resting against his trunk. They were both staring at the wrought iron entrance to the platform. On the other side, the muggle side, the entrance took its form as a brick wall.

Anybody who knew anything about James and Sirius( and that was quite a few people, since they had a habit of making themselves noticeable, even when invisible) knew that they were waiting for the other two counterparts of their group, Remus Lupin and Peter Pettigrew. They called themselves the Marauders. “Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs- Makers of Fine Map,” Sirius would joke. They were indeed the makers of a fine map, only one, which was of course dubbed the Marauders Map. It showed and labeled everybody on Hogwarts’ property, and all the secret passages and corridors of the castle. They had gained their extensive knowledge of the school grounds through their monthly escapades as Animagi and werewolf, and their many adventures under James’s invisibility cloak. The four good friends were about to start their seventh year at Hogwarts- their final year.

Our final year, thought James. Though anxious to start a life of his own outside of Hogwarts, James knew he would miss the carelessness that he and his friends felt at school. While thinking on this, James had let his conversation with Sirius trail off, yet his eyes were still pointed in the direction of the archway, unfocused though they were. Sirius had drawn his gaze away from the archway, and fixed James with a half-incredulous, half-expectant look on his face. James made an audible sigh, an early symptom of nostalgia.

“James?”

“Hmm?”

“Oy, Prongs I said that Snivellus over there had so much grease on his face that it could grease at least seven different cake pans . . . ha ha? . . . nothin’?”

“Oh, ha ha- yeah, mmm, funny.”

“Yeah . . . one cake pan for each year that he hasn’t bathed?” Sirius continued on one of his favorite tracks- insulting Severus Snape.

James smiled as he returned to the present. “Well, then you had better make that seventeen cake pans.”

The duo sniggered. Near them several girls sighed. James and Sirius took no notice. Their gaze had returned to the entrance, just in time to catch sight of a head with thick, auburn hair making its way to the train. James sighed again. Sirius squeezed James’s shoulder sympathetically.

“Still stuck on her, then?” he asked, though he already knew the answer.

Some girls nearby and within ear shot of the pair perked up at the question, but when the answer came they drooped like wilted flowers.

“Yes,” James answered blandly.

Sirius shrugged. “Ah well. Anyway, I don’t think asking her out every chance you get is going to work.”

“No, I don’t think so either . . . ” James trailed off.

Sirius stopped in the middle of an explanation about how persistently popping the question hadn’t worked well in the past, to say earnestly, if not eloquently, “Wha-?”

“I mean- I still like her, but she’s obviously happier when I’m not around, and that’s what’s . . . important . . . , isn’t it? Her being happy?”

Sirius was spared the agony of answering the question by a familiar voice, and an all-too-welcome interruption.

“Oy, pad -uh- Sirius, James Over here ” Remus Lupin had reservations about using their nicknames in public. He didn’t think it a pleasant idea if the whole school knew he was a werewolf. At the moment, he was leaning out the window of one of the carriages, beckoning over his two closest friends. Light reddish brown hair fell over his eyes and over his pale skin as he bent down over the window sill to clasp hands with his friends.

Though handsome himself, Lupin did not command the attention of the opposite sex the way James and Sirius did. It was obvious as to why, and Remus did not mind at all. James was athletic and charismatic. Sirius, with his chiseled features and softly curling black hair that fell casually onto luxurious eyelashes, was outgoing and rebellious. And Remus, well, he was shy and studious, and forever plagued by a slightly peaky look due to his being a werewolf. He was, of course, lively enough around his friends. Together, the three of them comprised the most talented students of their graduating class- them, and Lily Evans, of course. And, thought Remus, Snape too. Though, of course, he didn’t like to admit it.

“We didn’t know you were already here. We’ve spent ages waiting for you. How come you didn’t find us earlier?” James complained.

“Well, I thought I’d find us a compartment first. And I had to change,” Remus answered.

The trio were now by the door to the carriage, and Sirius was taking in Remus with a look of mild disgust on his face. “You’re already changed . . .?” Sirius asked with a raised eyebrow as he stood in jeans, white t-shirt, and leather jacket. Muggle girls and witches alike had done double takes of Sirius through the entire station.

Remus looked slightly embarrassed. “Well, um . . .I’m Head boy . . .now . . .and I have to go tell the new prefects their duties and stuff . . .” Lupin trailed off and busied himself with helping James with his trunk.

“Oh, yes. That’s right...you’re Head boy,” Sirius sniggered.

James laughed out loud. Lowering his voice, he said, “You know, Moony, if Dumbledore knew half the stuff we got up to, he would never dream of making you Head boy.”

“Please, don’t remind me.”

“...Until next month,” James added, wickedly.

Lupin grimaced, but they couldn’t tell if that was due to what James has said or to helping Sirius lift his trunk onto the train. The three dragged the two trunks down the aisle to the compartment that Remus had saved for them, and stowed their trunks.

“I still can’t believe you’re Head boy,” said Sirius, shaking his head.

“Hmm, well. Peter’s here- flag him down, will you. And I’ll go help him with his trunk,” Remus said, clearly anxious for a change in subject. With a mischievous smile, he added, as he walked out the compartment, “James is Quidditch captain, you know?”

“Well, we all expected that out of the prat,” Sirius called after Remus. Then, “Ow .” James had punched him in the arm.


Fifteen minutes later the train had finally started moving, and the remaining Marauders (Remus was obviously busy with his Head boy duties) were comfortably situated in their compartment. Peter -short, round, and clumsy- was intently watching James and Sirius play a casual game of Wizard’s Chess when the sliding door opened. The three of them looked up to see who it was. James turned a pale shade of pink, and averted his gaze to the chess board. Lily Evans was standing in the doorway, already dressed in her black robes and new Head girl badge.

“Hello, Peter,” she greeted, “Sirius. Potter.” She had started graciously and had ended curtly. James Potter always seemed to have that effect on her, and he knew it well.

James opened his mouth to say something, but changed his mind, and said, “ Hello, Lily.”

“Evans,” Sirius nodded. He returned to the chess board.

Looking a little taken aback by James’ unusual, though cordial, greeting she inquired abruptly, “Have you seen Remus?”

“I think he’s already in the prefect’s car,” piped up Peter.

“So I’m the one that’s late then,” kidded Lily. No one laughed.

“Looks like,” Sirius responded instead. Then to James, “Checkmate.”

James let out a groan of frustration. He looked up after a few seconds and realized Lily was still standing there. He smiled in spite of himself. “All right, Evans?”

“Yeah,” she said vaguely, turned around, and walked up the aisle. Lily didn’t know why she had just stood there, looking like an idiot, and waiting. Waiting? Waiting for what, Lily? she scolded herself. She, then, comforted herself by blaming her moment of stupidity on the sheer shock of Potter not asking her out. He usually jumped at every opportunity.

Meanwhile, back in the compartment, Sirius was telling James that he had better hope that his future children inherit his Quidditch, and not his chess skills. James was hoping that his children took a less permanent liking to their future crushes than he did. Still, there was just something about Lily. Since James was feeling down and in need of an ego boost, he invited Peter to play Wizard’s Chess with him. Peter could never beat any of his friends at anything. He was reliable that way.


Just as Wormtail had suffered a spectacular defeat to Prongs, Moony was seen approaching the compartment with Lily. The two had always gotten along well with each other. Lily wasn’t shy the way Remus was, but they were both studious, kind, and unusually perceptive. With their matching personalities and red hair ( though Lily’s was many vivid shades redder and darker) they could’ve been brother and sister. Sister, is what Remus generally thought of Lily. He was, of course, aware of her beauty, though he appreciated it the way an older brother appreciates his pretty little sister.

Anyway, he was afraid of dating. What if the full moon suddenly appeared on a date? Moony couldn’t bear the thought of hurting anyone. And what about your friends?, his nagging conscience prodded.

Well, he justified, they became Animagi of their own accord. I didn’t ask them too.

But you didn’t stop them either, his conscience prodded again. For their becoming Animagi, Remus was eternally grateful. And eternally fearful.

Moony began to speed up his and Lily’s conversation in order to wrap it up quickly. It wasn’t that he didn’t enjoy talking to Lily, he just perceived that it made James uncomfortable. Moony strode into the compartment and seated himself next to James. He pulled a book from his pocket, opened it, and began to read.

“So, as Head boy, what kind of duties do you have?” Sirius asked, with a slightly sarcastic undertone.

“Well, I retain all of my prefect duties and such, but now I’m basically in charge of all the prefects. I assign their duties and patrols, etc, etc. I, of course, have my own patrols. Other than that, I basically make my self available to the teachers and staff, and set a good example for the other students,” Moony rattled off without even looking up from his book.

With raised eyebrows Sirius asked, “What are you reading, anyway?”

“Fantastic Beasts and Where to Find Them.”

James snorted. “In here, of course,” he said, waving his arms around, before turning to Wormtail and saying, “Checkmate.” Wormtail had just lost again.

The Growing Threat by FannyPrice

It was a crisp, cool evening when they arrived at Hogwarts, the perfect atmosphere in which to start September. The sky was clear, and the stars were bright. It was beautiful, even though Remus cast a nervous glance at the sky. He didn’t always completely trust the almanacs.


The Marauders piled into a carriage that was horseless to all, except Remus. He had seen his father killed by the same werewolf that left him cursed. His father had attempted to pull the vicious creature off his small son, and had suffered the consequence. Moony had been raised by his kind and patient mother.


As they walked through the doors of the marble entrance hall, Sirius froze. James stopped suddenly as well, and Remus retraced a few steps to see what his friends were staring at. He could’ve guessed. Severus Snape was glaring at them from the other side of the entrance hall, his hand poised to pull out his wand. He had never forgiven Sirius for the near fatal trick that Sirius had pulled last year. If James hadn’t pulled Snape back . . . well, Hogwarts could’ve hardly handled two werewolves. Sirius and James were preparing to pull out their wands as well, when something bumped into Sirius. Wormtail had finally made his way through the crowd. The trance was broken.


“Come on,” Lupin hissed, “I’m hungry.” James and Wormtail started to move, but Sirius didn’t. “Sirius,” Lupin reasoned, “there are too many teachers and students present.” He tugged on Sirius’ sleeve, and they started towards the entrance hall.


The start-of-term feast, as always, was excellent. However, the high spirits of the students was dampened by Dumbledore’s speech. It held all the traditional facets (“Don’t go near the Forbidden Forest,” “Astronomy tower is off limits except for classes,” “Quidditch trials will be held next week,” etc.), but it also contained a warning. The Wizarding world was immersed in troubling times. For many years now, a Dark wizard, the self-named Lord Voldemort had been gaining power. He was obsessed with “pure-blood” idealism, and loved to torture Muggles and Muggle-borns. At first there wasn’t too much to worry about, at least not amongst the Marauders. Lupin’s family and Pettigrew’s family were too insignificant to notice. The Blacks wouldn’t have anything to fear from Lord Voldemort. Not only were they pure-blood, they would have no problem with the Wizarding world being scourged of all Mudbloods and Muggle-borns. This was, of course, Sirius’ chief reason for running away the summer between fifth and sixth year. He went to live with the Potters, another family with nothing to fear as they were also pure-bloods.


Or, at least, that’s how it was in the beginning. Voldemort’s reach seemed to threaten everyone now. Oddly enough, it was probably the Potter family who was in the most danger. They were what Voldemort would label as “Muggle-lovers”, and were also prominent in the Wizarding community. James’ mother had been a seeker for the English National Quidditch team. Tomboyish though she was, she had developed a maternal side when she had James late in life. Also, her cooking was excellent. Mr. Potter had recently retired as the Head of the Auror office at the Ministry. He was a highly intelligent man, and a good friend and great admirer of Dumbledore. Both Mr. & Mrs. Potter were fairly open-minded, caring, and over indulgent of their only son, all of which showed up in James. They were also never scared of voicing one of their well-thought out opinions. Being as they were, their recently voiced opinions on Lord Voldemort put them at great risk.


But James seemed more worried about Lily. Being so young, he could only see what was immediately in front of him. At school, that was Miss Evans.


Dumbledore continued with his speech. “ Whether it seems true or not, all of you will soon enter the magical world as adults, especially you-seventh and sixth years. You will be entering a world that is being ripped apart. As I speak, Lord Voldemort is spreading discontent and labeling members of the magical community, setting us all into different groups. Half-bloods, Muggle-borns (Lily shrank a little in her chair.), half-breeds (Lupin winced.), pure-bloods (Sirius shot a look of loathing at the Slytherin table, where his younger brother, Regulus, sat.), and blood-traitors (James glared.) Are just a few of his groups. However, at Hogwarts you have the opportunity to meet wizards and witches with all different backgrounds, and observe that blood makes no difference. I turn to the teachers to promote and demonstrate that truth everyday in the classrooms.” Dumbledore nodded to his staff seated at a long, oak table behind him. “And I also turn to the students. You have all fallen into one group of friends or another, but I ask you-no, I charge you to reach beyond your differences and create a bond that no evil can penetrate.” He let that sink in for a moment, before finishing, “Off to bed, now.”


The Great Hall slowly began to stir. Before the Marauders had stood, Lily Evans was before them. “Ready, Remus?”


The Marauders turned to Moony, who nodded to Lily. Explaining quickly about a meeting with Dumbledore, he walked away from the table. A few paces on he noticed that Lily was lingering by the rest of the boys. She looked slightly confused. James glanced up, smiled, nodded towards her, and then turned back to Sirius, who was busy forcing the last bit of pudding down his throat.


“Lily,” Remus called.


Lily hastily turned and blushed. This was the second time today that she had stood there in front of James like an idiot. “Good night, boys,” she called back over her shoulder as she quickly walked away. She heard their collective tonight as they got up to leave the table.






When Moony entered the dormitory later that night, he found that his companions had already sent it into disarray. There was evidence of the destruction that only teenage boys could cause throughout the room. Wormtail was hanging off his own bed, eagerly listening to Padfoot and Prongs as they pored over a piece of parchment. They were sitting on Padfoot’s bed, bouncing ideas off each other to complete the plan for the first big prank of the year. There was a shout of laughter as Moony strode to his trunk at the foot of his four-poster. Surveying the scene, he immediately caught on to what his friends were doing. He frowned, but didn’t say anything.


Soon, all four boys (They were a small batch of Gryffindor boys. Most of the males in their year had gotten sorted into Hufflepuff. So many, in fact, that it was rumored that Dumbledore himself had to magically enlarge their dormitory to fit all their beds.) were in their pajamas. Remus pulled his covers up to his chin as he curled up to sleep on his side, his mind heavy with Dumbledore’s speech. James lay on his back with his chest exposed and his arms behind his head. He was looking at the ceiling, but saw only Lily. He was surprised at how much effort it had taken him to keep himself from asking her out. He was also confused by her . . . hovering? It was the only word he could think of through his drowsiness.




In the girl’s dormitory, Lily was mentally kicking herself for her stupid behavior as she hugged her pillow, equally confused by her . . . hovering? It was the only word she could think of in her tired state. Ah, well, she sighed, he’s just waiting for tomorrow to ask me out is all. And with that certainty, Lily squeezed her pillow a little tighter and fell asleep.




A/N: Hello, there. Sorry if this story is a bit slow, it picks up. I just first wanted to establish some history on the characters, and work in the war with Lord Voldemort. Tell me what you think. Constructive criticism is welcome.

Shooting Him Down by FannyPrice

Breakfast time in the Great Hall was always a noisy affair- today it was especially so, because it was the first day of classes. Remus, who always seemed to be reading something, had his face buried in the Daily Prophet, his plate of bacon, sausage and fried eggs left untouched. The Marauders often joked that being a werewolf gave Moony a carnivorous appetite. Remus set the paper down in the middle of the table as Professor McGonagall handed him his schedule. Wormtail, upon receiving his, leaned into Moony to compare. He was relieved to see that they has Transfiguration together, which Peter found very difficult. Then again, Wormtail found almost all his subjects difficult. Moony handed his schedule to James, who laid it down above his and Sirius’. Sirius wasn’t looking at the schedules, since he was now deeply immersed in the Daily Prophet wearing a slight frown. The three schedules were almost exactly alike. D.A.D.A., Transfiguration, and Charms were all at the same time. However, while Moony had Care of Magical Creatures, James and Sirius’ had Potions. Also, while Sirius was in Muggle Studies (which he took to infuriate his family), and Moony was in Arithmancy (braniac), James had N.E.W.T. level divination with Wormtail. James had lied on his O.W.L. to get into N.E.W.T. level, because Lily was taking it. Wormtail was the only Marauder who could be talked into signing up, as Lupin had never been interested, and Sirius had said he’d had enough. James handed Remus’ schedule back to him and took the paper Sirius offered him.


“Any good news?” James asked as Sirius began to shovel food into his mouth.


Sirius shook his head, seeing as his mouth was too full to speak. Remus , bacon in hand, responded, “No. There’s an article in there about the theorized percentage of Ministry employees who have either been bewitched by or are freely working with Lord Voldemort.” Wormtail winced at the name.


“I think I’ll read it at break. Don’t have time now,” James said as he thumbed through the paper, pulled out a few pages, and handed them good-naturedly across the table to Peter, who took them eagerly and placed them in his bag. It was the comics section, and, taking his cue from Prongs, at break he would delve into “The Mini-Adventures of Martin Miggs, the Mad Muggle.” He then turned back to his food.


Lupin ate rapidly, but calmly, while the others ate the way only boys can eat. James and Sirius both bolted food into their mouths in true form to their personalities. James ate like an athlete, and Sirius . . . well, he did morph into a dog. Yet there was something charismatic about their piggishness, while Peter was just a slob. Food was on the table, on his robes, and on his face. He was disgusting to watch.


As the Marauders sat eating in came a flock of girls stalking past in swoosh of robes and hair. The five girls sat a few seats down from the boys, Lily among them. “Hey, boys,” they called in unison.


“Good morning,” the Marauders grunted.


“Hello, Sirius.” Padfoot turned his head to look who had called him. It was a girl named Abby. She had blonde hair that she had feathered back to look like a TV star she saw in a Muggle magazine. She had blue eyes, and red fingernails. Sirius swallowed, nodded, and smiled rakishly at her. All the girls with Abby giggled, except Lily who was reading her copy of the Daily Prophet.


The girls’ giggling had called Professor McGonagall’s attention to their presence. She hustled over to them with their schedules, scolded them for being late to breakfast on the first day, and then hustled away again. Lily put down the paper, and picked up her schedule.


“Lily . . .”


“Hmm . . .”


“Lily?”


“What?” Lily emerged from her schedule to notice that Potter was addressing her.


“Lily?” He tried again.


Feeling slightly triumphant, she swivelled in her seat and said, “NO,” sharply and loudly. Ha, she thought, he was only waiting till today to ask me out.


James looked slightly confused; Lily wondered why.


“Noo, you can’t pass the pepper?” He questioned her slowly.


Lily immediately began to take in the scene around her. As usual, conversation had stopped like it always did when Lily shot down Potter, but they were looking at her funny this morning. She looked past James at Sirius, hand poised to take the pepper which he eyed longingly. Lily noticed that Remus was looking from her to James, wearing a bemused expression. Lily looked down at her plate. Directly in front of her was the pepper shaker. She blushed.


“Oh. Yes, of course,” she finally responded, handing it down the table. “I’m sorry,” she blundered on to James, “I thought you were . . .”


“I know.” James looked hurt and gave Lily a weak smile. Abruptly he stood, mumbled something about forgetting a book, and left the Great Hall.


The whispering and the rumors began at once. “James Potter talked to Lily Evans and did not ask her out.” “What ” “Did he gawk at her?” “No.” “What ” “Wow. He seriously has not asked out Evans?” “Not since last June.” “This is exciting.”


A girl with iron straight hair, named Sarah, sat across from Lily. When James was out of earshot she asked, “Does this mean he’s available?” Lily blushed again.





Lily just did not understand it. She could no longer remember the last time Potter had not asked her out. She saw him several more times that day, and still he did not ask. Lily had thought that when this day came, she would be ecstatic. She wasn’t.


“Does this mean he’s available . . .” she mimicked sarcastically under her breath.


This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=28719