The Letters of Life by megpotter
Summary: Post-Hogwarts Ginny and Hermione have gone through many things in life together, from schoole to starting careers, boyfriends to husbands, and now they are about to go through one of the most important changes in life.
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: No Word count: 3038 Read: 8339 Published: 08/02/05 Updated: 12/05/05

1. Prolouge by megpotter

2. The Letter That StartedIt All by megpotter

3. Letter Revealed by megpotter

Prolouge by megpotter
Prologue

----Ginny’s P.O.V. ----

As she sat staring at her Mother’s clock, (this was not an ordinary clock for it had all of the Weasley and Potter names on it and instead of numbers had “Home”, “School”, “Work” , “traveling”, “Lost”, “Hospital”, “prison”, and “Mortal Peril”) Ginny grew more and more anxious for she had a strange feeling in the gut of her stomach that told her this would be the last battle, that either Voldemort or her husband would die tonight. Ginny would have gone tonight, but Harry had made her stay at the burrow with the rest of her brother’s wives.

Periodically Ginny would get up and check on her sleeping nieces and nephews. Bill and Fleur had three sons and one daughter Nicholas at three, Hannah and William at four, and Gregory at seven. George and Katie had also had twins, Fred and Arthur. While Ron and Hermione had two children Harry at three, and Rachael at two. Charlie and Aaliyah had a little girl named Margaret who was five. Fred and Angela didn’t have any children yet, much to the distress of Mrs. Wealsey. Ginny sat down after just checking on the little ones thinking that she wished she could have children of her own, and was sad that she and Harry hadn’t been successful in having children yet. Suddenly, an eight and a half month pregnant Penelope screamed and began crying uncontrollably. When Ginny looked at the clock she noticed that Percy’s hand now rested on “Hospital”.

Molly rushed over to comfort her, while Ginny, seeing that she was cared for slipped back into her own thoughts. She couldn’t help think for a second, ‘What if Harry died tonight and they never got the chance to have children together??’ She and Harry had desperately been trying to have children, and hadn’t been successful yet.

Nothing else eventful happened for another hour, and then suddenly there was a series of loud “cracks” and the Wealsey men appeared. The only person who appeared injured was Percy who was limping, supported by Bill and Mr. Weasley. They all looked tired, especially Harry, who didn’t look as happy as the rest of the men. Suddenly their respective wives ran, (or waddled in Penelope’s case) over to the men. Ginny only asked three words ‘Is it over’ before she started crying, since she knew the answer to the question. Harry just nodded and pulled her into a loving hug.

Mrs. Weasley thought it wonderful that it was over so they could all just relax for Nicholas’ birthday tomorrow. Of course, there would have to be people patrolling to make sure that any left-over Death Eaters didn’t try to harm any one, but it felt as if the greatest burden of all time had been lifted. They had nit only won the war, but not a single member of her family had been lost. Even though many great people had been lost, nobody in her own family had died. So they all went home to get their first real rest for the first time in months.

*****
The Letter That StartedIt All by megpotter
*******about 1 month later*

----Ginny’s P.O.V. -----
“Harry! Stop it,” Ginny shrieked as Harry tickled her. “This is hard enough as it is!”

She and Harry had spent the last hour trying to compose the perfect letter to her mother. After many drafts they were finally almost done.

“Ginny you know you should get some rest, it’s getting late, plus you wouldn’t want to be awake when Father Christmas comes would you?” he asked jokingly.

Ginny replied, “No, I wouldn’t, would I Mr. Potter.”

“No you wouldn’t, and you really should get some rest you know. Anyway your Mother is expecting us bright and early,” he stated matter of factly.

“Just let me sign the letter then I’ll be done,” she put the letter in the envelope sealed it then placed it on top of the giant stack of presents waiting to go to her parents tomorrow.

“I’m going to bed, are you coming Harry?” she asked.

“Yeah, I’ll be up in a moment love.”

Ginny watched her husband from the steps leading up to their master bedroom of their new house. They’d bought this house a few months ago, just before Harry defeated Voldemort, and were still unpacking. Seeing that her husband was in deep thought she went up to bed.

-----Hermione’s P.O.V. -----

“Sleep well,” Hermione said as she kissed her son goodnight. She then followed Ron to their daughter’s room and kissed her good night. They then went to their bedroom to go to sleep themselves.

“So, have you thought anymore about the crib situation?” Hermione asked referring to whether or not they were going keep the old crib.

“A little, but I haven’t had any breakthroughs yet,” Ron replied smartly.

Hermione smiled and kissed her husband, then said, “That’s okay, neither have I, but I am hungry for something sweet! It would be excellent if somebody would volunteer to go down to the kitchen and get us something!”

Ron laughed at her then said, “I assume that the someone you’re referring to implies me?”

Hermione also laughed then nodded yes.

Ron sighed and stated, “You are starting to sound like me!!”

Hermione shrugged and said, “Well at least I have a good excuse!”

Ron raised his eyebrows at this and said, “Are we planning on telling our parents yet?”

Hermione bit her lip then replied, “Only if it comes up, now what about that snack?”

*The next morning*

Hermione’s eyes snapped open and she sat up with a start, not knowing what woke her. She looked around and realized that Harry and Rachael were bouncing on the balls of their feet, in anticipation. She rolled over to wake Ron, who was still snoring soundly. When she finally woke him she grabbed her dressing gown and followed the children down stairs where the presents waited.

Hermione leaned her head back and sighed in exhaustion saying, “This is going to be a long day.” they were now sitting in sea of wrapping paper, with the satisfied children playing with their new toys. Hermione had received a lovely necklace from Ron that was gold and had two stones one diamond for Harry who was born in April and the other was aquamarine for Rachael who was born in March. She had responded by giving Ron two tickets to a Chudley Cannons game. Now, they were attempting to do a quick clean up before heading off to the Burrow.

----Ginny’s P.O.V. ---

Ginny woke up refreshed, after a wonderful night of sleep, to smell breakfast already being cooked. She grabbed her dressing gown and hurried downstairs, feeling like a little child again, filled with anticipation about the up coming day. After Harry and she had exchanged gifts of books, jewelry, and a few other things they sat around the Christmas tree and talked for about half an hour.

Eventually they made their way upstairs to change and prepare for the upcoming day. When they where completely ready, (Ginny in a loose fitting green dress that complimented the color of her hair, and Harry in slacks and a button up shirt), they split the presents up between the two of them and prepared to Apparate.

---Hermione’s P.O.V. ---

When they were completely ready to go to the Burrow, Ron retrieved the pot from on top of the mantel that contained Floo Powder, (it had to be put up because the children kept knocking over, mainly Harry who not only looked exactly like his father but inherited his clumsiness too). Ron flooed first with Rachael, then she would follow with Harry. Right in the middle of the floo network, Hermione started to feel sick, “Oh no she thought, this can’t be happening now, everyone will find out…,” a moment later she and Harry exited the Floo network and she promptly set Harry down and rushed to the bathroom. She felt horrible as she pushed someone, (she wasn’t sure who), aside in the process, but it was that, or be sick on them.

Ron who knew what was happening stopped in the middle of a hug with his mother and pushed her away and went to attend to his wife. Luckily, he thought, they where the first people to arrive there.

He found Hermione throwing up her breakfast into the toilet, and she was muttering under her breath, something about “…this happens every time…,” and other things he couldn’t understand.

When she got herself to stop throwing up she looked up to see Ron crouched by her and a very anxious looking Molly standing in the doorway. So she asked, “How many people are here?”

Ron replied, “By some miracle, we were the first to arrive,” she laughed then stopped because she retched once again!

She closed her eyes to relax and Molly asked, “Do you want a potion, you should have some, then go straight to bed, no sense in getting everyone sick.”

Hermione looked at Ron and whispered, “I guess this applies as coming up?” He nodded silently, and then helped her up. Hermione replied to Molly, “I don’t need the potion, but we do need to talk.”

Once they were situated in the kitchen, Hermione with a cup of tea, Ron started, “Um… we have some good news, but we don’t really want anyone to know yet.”
Molly looked bewildered and nodded. So Hermione continued, “Okay, I’m just going to say it…I’m pregnant!”

Molly shrieked, and gave Hermione and Ron a rib-breaking hug. While Arthur just sat there and beamed at his son and daughter-in-law. At this moment Percy, Penelope, and there one month old daughter, Penny arrived to find their Mother happier than she had been in weeks.
Letter Revealed by megpotter
***Chapter 2***

***Ginny’s P.O.V. ***

When Ginny and Harry arrived at the Burrow everyone was there except Fred and Angela. Ginny arrived by floo powder first, with half of the presents. Then Harry arrived with the rest of them. As soon as Harry exited the fireplace, he felt triumphant because he very rarely stayed standing while traveling by floo, but this triumphant feeling ended when he felt himself being knocked down. He looked up from the ground to see Ron looking down at him grinning. Harry laughed and said, “You’re just lucky that I didn’t have anything fragile!”

Ron replied, “I asked Ginny first, I’m not that stupid! I just couldn’t let you tarnish your almost perfect record, now could I?”
Once they began distributing the presents into each family’s separate pile Fred and Angela arrived. When nobody was looking, Ginny slipped the letter they had written to the very bottom of the giant pile of presents. She looked wistful for a moment, but then straightened up and went to see her newest niece, Penny.

Hermione and Ginny started to help Molly in the kitchen with dinner while everyone else was outside watching the children play in the snow. Mrs. Weasley walked out of the kitchen to tell the family that dinner would be ready in 15 minutes. Hermione looked out the window just in time to see Harry “flying” little Harry around on his shoulders, and said, “You know Ginny, Harry will make a great father someday.”

Ginny smiled inwardly and replied, “Yes, he will.” Suddenly, Hermione snapped around to look at Ginny. At this exact moment Molly returned to the kitchen to find Hermione scrutinizing Ginny. She just looked between the two of them for a moment before shook her head and went about to finish preparing dinner.
Once dinner had been served everybody came inside and the smell of a wonderfully prepared meal greeted them immediately. Everyone began to eat in the magically expanded dining room. It became very loud, so it took quiet a bit of yelling to get everyone to move into the living room so that the ladies could clean up.

Half an hour later, everyone was situated in the living room, the children were eyeing the mounds of presents anxiously. Molly finally said, “Okay, Penny is the youngest this year, but since she can’t really choose who goes first, Penelope can do it.”

This was how opening presents went every year. The youngest grandchild got to pick who opened a present first, and then that person picked the next person and so on and so forth. Although this took a long time, Molly insisted upon it. Finally, when it appeared as though all of the present had been opened, when Aayilah exclaimed, “Molly, it appears as if we have one more present!”

Molly turned around to look behind her under the tree and found a yellow envelope addressed to, “Grandmum and Granddad”. She replied, “Oh, it appears Arthur and I do.”

***Hermione’s P.O.V. ***

As Molly opened the letter, she wondered aloud which one of her grandchildren could have written the letter. She read the letter and handed it to Arthur, and then asked Hermione, “Did you want everyone to know? I just assumed that it was a secret until further notice!”

Hermione asked in confusion, “What in the heavens are you talking about?!”

Molly handed her and Ron the letter. She read the letter that said,
Grandma and Grandpa,
I just wanted to take the chance to wish you a Happy Christmas, and tell you how much I’m looking forward to being a part of the family. One day I hope you are able to realize how much you truly mean to me. Oh, and incase you are wondering I’m supposed to arrive in Late July or Early August.
Love,
Your Newest Grandchild


Ron, who was reading over her shoulder exclaimed, “We didn’t write this, but it looks like Ginny’s handwriting!”

Hermione squealed with delight earning her some odd glances from the rest of the family. Everyone was still wondering what was going on got up. Hermione got some even weirder glances when she went over to hug Ginny while whispering in her ear, “I knew something was up. When you responded to my comment about Harry being a wonderful father in the kitchen.”

Ginny replied in a whisper, “Yes, I thought you’d figured out that I was pregnant, and by the way, when are you due?”

Hermione smiled then answered, “That’s why I was so excited! I’m due at the end of July too! Can you believe it this is going to be so fun. Okay, not all of it will be fun because I am beginning to have morning sickness, but it should be fun to go through it together!!” Ginny giggled and then smiled, when suddenly they heard somebody clear their throat behind them.

When they looked, George said, “Anyone care to let us in on your little secret?”

Suddenly, Harry went to Ron and they hugged in congratulations, but this only further confused the rest of the family. Then Ron hugged Ginny and Harry hugged Hermione, and then they turned to look at their bewildered family and Harry said, “I think that the girls should get to tell everyone.” He looked at Ron, who in turn nodded in approval.

Ginny and Hermione stepped forward and at the same time said, “We’re pregnant!”

Everyone sat in shock, until Fred said, “Wait, both of you?” Hermione and Ginny beamed in response. Fred then commented, “Now that I know the reason behind my observation is the pregnancies, I can say - without the fear of being hexed-that during dinner, I noticed that the both of you ate about as much as Ron. That’s saying something!” Everyone laughed at this statement and Ron gave Fred a very disgruntled look, but this succeeded only in doing was making everyone laugh harder. Finally, the family settled down enough to congratulate the two couples.

Rachael and Harry were a little too young to understand more than that they were going to be a big brother and sister, but they were both happy about it. After the commotion died down, Charlie asked, “When are you two due?”

***Ginny’s P.O.V. ***

Ginny answered, “At the end of July, somewhere around Harry’s birthday.” At hearing this, Harry’s eyes lit up, evidently, he was just now realizing that the babies would be like a birthday present to him.

After a moment of deep thought and everybody in the room was watching him Harry concluded, “I hope one of them is born on my birthday, I don’t care which, but that would be the best birthday present ever.”

Ginny smiled at her husband the whispered into his ear just as quietly, “I think that you deserve it more than any of us.”

Harry thought about this and whispered just as quietly back, “Yes, but without you I wouldn’t be a father-to-be, so I think I should be thanking you.” He then proceeded to kiss her quiet passionately.

Their kiss was interrupted by Fred shouting, “Get a room!”

Then George added, “Yeah, there are minors in the room you know. They don’t need to see any of that.” Everyone laughed at this statement, even Harry and Ginny. Once they stopped laughing Mrs. Weasley ushered everyone back into the dining room for dessert.

It wasn’t until Ginny and Hermione were on their third helping of pudding that Percy commented, “You know, Fred is right, for once I might add, you two are eating as much as Ron!” This comment brought about many shouts of protest, but not just from Hermione, Ron and Ginny, but from Fred too. This caused Harry to laugh, and everyone to stared at him. It took him a moment to calm down enough to say, "Percy, you forgot who you just insulted!” And continued to laugh while Percy turned to look into two wands, and suddenly giant bat-boogies were attacking his face.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=29268