Harry Potter and the Legend of Infinity by peskypetunia
Summary: So many tiny things can change the outcome of our futures. How much do we already know? How are Ginny and Lily so much alike? Surprise weddings, painfull losses, and Ron without a voice, leaves the seventh year at Hogwarts to be the most interesting yet. Please review.



**Please see Author's note in Ch. 24, The Last Riddle**
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: Yes Word count: 93452 Read: 113391 Published: 08/04/05 Updated: 02/05/07

1. Back Where we Started by peskypetunia

2. The Happiest Man in the World by peskypetunia

3. When Petunia Meets Harry by peskypetunia

4. Journey of a Lifetime by peskypetunia

5. Moving Forward by peskypetunia

6. Tales of a Death Eater by peskypetunia

7. Slow Motion by peskypetunia

8. Terrible Tombs by peskypetunia

9. Not everyone gets what they want on their birthday by peskypetunia

10. And so it goes... by peskypetunia

11. Round and round and round we go; where we stop nobody knows… by peskypetunia

12. The Second by peskypetunia

13. Fell by peskypetunia

14. Time Flies by peskypetunia

15. Roni by peskypetunia

16. Holding Your Breath by peskypetunia

17. Unimaginable by peskypetunia

18. Stroke by peskypetunia

19. Meeting One's Potential by peskypetunia

20. Push by peskypetunia

21. Twenty-Four Very Long Hours by peskypetunia

22. What She Missed Most by peskypetunia

23. Say It Ain't So by peskypetunia

24. The Last Riddle by peskypetunia

25. The Phoenixes Return by peskypetunia

Back Where we Started by peskypetunia
Chapter One
Back Where we Started

Harry Potter was trying to sleep in this morning; he wasn’t doing a very good job. He hadn’t been sleeping well. He knew that everything that had happened during his last year at Hogwarts was not his fault and that he had to move on, but that did not stop the nightmares that came to him. Still sleepy he rolled out of bed and shuffled his way to the kitchen. He was not skinny as he had been when his tale first began. Harry was tall and muscular and had the reputation at school as a very handsome boy not that he ever paid attention to such nonsense. The house was still and quiet. It was only 6:00 in the morning. He was hungry.

Harry lazily reached for the refrigerator door when he heard the stairs squeak behind him. His cousin, Dudley entered, looked surprised to see him. His cousin had undergone quite a change over the past year. He was still massive, indeed, but he had become more slender and muscular. He was no longer obese, rather just bulky.

“What are you doing up?” he asked without emotion.

“Couldn’t sleep, you?” Harry mimicked his tone.

“I go jogging with my girlfriend in the morning. When are you leaving?” Dudley questioned with a strange look on his face.

“Not exactly sure, but it shouldn’t be to long now. Since when do you care?” Harry looked irritated.

“Never said I did,” Dudley spat and walked away.

Harry helped himself to some toast and milk and headed back up to his room. His things would normally be sprawled out about his room but he was trying to keep his things packed away for when he had to leave. He had been at the Dursleys’ for nearly three weeks. Letters flew back and forth between himself and his friends. His owl was very busy these days. Hedwig was currently delivering a letter off to Neville Longbottom. Hermione had suggested that since neither she, Ron or Harry would be returning to Hogwarts this year, it might be nice if they invited him to join them this summer because he was a good friend of theirs. Hermione always was clever. Harry agreed and suggested that maybe Luna and Ginny would like to come too.

His heart still did little flips when he thought of Ginny. He still cared deeply for her but they both knew that they could not be together while Voldemort was still alive. They would both be so distracted by his presence that it would not be a very good relationship. Harry swore to himself that should he somehow defeat Voldemort and live to tell the tale he was going to take Ginny on the best date of her life. This thought kept him going whenever he got lonely or sad whilst thinking about how much he missed her. In his heart he knew that he was meant to be happy and that in order for that to happen he and Ginny would have to be together. Gazing out of his window he became lost in his own world with his own favorite redhead.

Harry did not know how long he stood there. He watched Dudley puff his way back up the street with his girlfriend. She had long blonde hair and a beautiful smile. She looked very familiar for some reason. The girl winked at Dudley before waving and jogging off toward the park. Harry just kept staring out the window, searching the skies for Hedwig with Neville’s answer. Harry did want Neville to come with them. He had been such a good friend Harry thought he was going to miss him very much.

Someone rapped on his bedroom door. Expecting Dudley or Aunt Petunia to be at the door he grunted, “Come!”

“Good morning to you too, Harry,” Bill Weasley strode into the room to shake the hand of a surprised Harry.

“What are you doing here?!” Harry was shocked but not unhappy.

“Well, it seems my good man, that you have been invited to my wedding and I am here to take you in,” Bill laughed. Harry could see the deep scars about his face and neck where he had been attacked.

“Congratulations again, how are you feeling?” he asked, trying not to stare at the offending gash under Bill’s left eye.

“Oh, not too bad, the full moon was last week. My transformations are quite feeble compared to Lupin’s. I simple sprout fur everywhere and my wounds reopen. My scars will never heal and the fur doesn’t go away unless I charm it off. It is relatively painless though and usually I feel top notch two days later. Sometimes Lupin needs a full week to recover. By the way, he is downstairs talking to your Aunt and cousin. You’ll be coming with us today but we need to bring you back after the wedding. Ron and Hermione will probably come back with you though,” Bill rattled.

Harry briefly thought about how his aunt would react to Ron and Hermione staying in her house with him.

“You will only be coming back for two days, I understand, and then you will be leaving with your friends on some adventure of your planning. I would join you but I’m afraid my wife has some plans about a honeymoon. I don’t think she’ll let me out of it,” Bill was smiling devilishly.

“Oh I’m sure you are going to hate being stuck with her. I hear those honeymoons are miserable,” Harry laughed as Bill threw his pillow at him.

Together they worked to put get Harry’s things in order. Harry double-checked to make sure that he didn’t have any extra quills or anything lying about. He didn’t want to have to repack when he came back. He saw Hedwig’s empty cage.

“She’s not back yet! I can’t just leave her here,” Harry was worried. What would Uncle Vernon do to her with him gone?

“I will tell her where you went,” Aunt Petunia whispered from his doorway next to Lupin.
Moony clapped a hand on Harry’s shoulder.

“Glad to see you are well. We will let you get dressed before we go,” Lupin and Bill left the room and were standing just outside in the hall.

Harry pulled on his jeans and could hear them whispering.

“Bill will you grab my cloak from downstairs it has the Indicator in it,” Lupin asked. Harry could hear Bill lumbering down the steps.

“You have to tell him Penny. He is your nephew. She was your sister,” Lupin hissed.

“I can’t, I just…you were the only one who ever called me that,” she whispered remeniscently.

“Petunia was too formal. Penny, please he deserves it. Do it for Lily. You are the only one who can!” Lupin was being very kind but firm.

“I’ll try, Remus. It will not be easy and Vernon will not be happy. I will tell him when he comes back from the wedding. I need you to change the beds in there so that his friends can stay.” Her voice sounded strained like she was trying to keep from crying.

“Would it help if I come back tonight to speak with Vernon myself? I can also explain why you have the Indicator.” Petunia must have nodded because she made no verbal reply.

“ Fine, when I come back I’ll conjure a set of twin beds for Ron and Harry. Hermione will be staying with Mrs. Figg,” he chattered back.

“I should have known there was something strange about that woman. She used to seem so normal, like Vernon. Then she wouldn’t stop pestering me about having Harry help her with her housework.” Aunt Petunia almost laughed.

Harry fully dressed and ready for answers opened the door.

“You should have silenced it, Moony,” Harry spat, realizing he was very angry and was trying not to show it.

“Harry, don’t be angry with Remus. I’ll explain everything when you get back,” Aunt Petunia had been so warm to Lupin and yet was so cold and crisp to Harry.

Realizing he had no choice he went downstairs with his bag in hand. The three men crowded around a rag doll. To a normal person it would seem strange to see three large grown men standing around a little girl’s play thing, but this doll was a Portkey. The all to familiar twinge of discomfort flooded Harry as the Portkey whisked him away through England and to the home of his best friend’s house. The Portkey activated and they were barely standing in the middle of the kitchen of the Burrow.


A/N Orlaith and Potterphile12 are the most amazing betas ever!!! The more reviews I get the more hints I will give out to what happens in future chapters!!! A/N I have had a wonderful time writing for you all. Please tell me what you think
The Happiest Man in the World by peskypetunia
Chapter Two
The Happiest Man in the World

“HARRY!!!”

Several faces all bellowed at him as they landed. Hermione ran to his side, squeezed his arm and gave him a quick peck on the cheek. Mr. Weasley shook his hand furiously while Mrs. Weasley had planted herself on his other arm and was trying to flatten his hair. Tonks waved from across the table but disappeared with Lupin out the back door. Bill inched over to Fleur, threw her into a large dip and planted a rather hideous kiss on her lips. He winked at Harry while Ginny was trying not to gag next to Fred and George. The twins were conspiring with each other. Harry hadn’t time to react before he was hit with two identical jets of orange light.

The whole room burst out laughing, including Harry. Out of the corner of his eye he could see flaming red pigtails that were affixed to his head. He ran to the hallway mirror to see his new features. He looked good, as a read head, just like a Weasley, except the pretty pink bows at the end of his braids was a little effeminate for his tastes. Mr. Weasley was chuckling to himself while Mrs. Weasley was trying very hard to stare the twins to death.

“He hasn’t been here more than five minutes!” she bellowed.

“We just wanted to make him feel part of the family, Mum,” George answered with a maniacal grin.

Fred opted out and gave his mother a quick peck on the cheek. He knew she wasn’t really mad at them. Ron came bumbling down the stairs with a towel on his head.

“Harry! Glad you’re here mate. Just got out of the shower, is lunch ready?” he said in one breath.

“Lunch will be ready in a minute. Ron, help him get settled and that hair fixed,” Mrs. Weasley beckoned from across the room.

“We need to be getting back to headquarters dear, I’ll see you later tonight,” Mr. Weasley pulled his wife into a kiss and Disapparated.

“Good to see you Harry. We will be back for dinner,” Lupin and Tonks patted him on the back before disappearing like Mr. Weasley.

“Alright, Fred and George, please finish the decorations outside. Ginny help me get ready will you? Fleur, can you get Hermione settled in Ginny’s room?” Mrs. Weasley asked without looking at her kids.

The girls jumped to their feet and bustled about as ordered. The twins grimaced but obeyed. Bill kissed Fleur, whispered something about ‘honeymoons’, and Disapparated. With a great blush Fleur spoke to Harry.

“It is so good to ‘ave you ‘ere, ‘Arry. We vanted you to come very badly. My family vill be ‘ere tomorrow ant zey are looking forward to seeing you. Gabrielle vould like to see you again, azvell.” Her English had improved very much but Harry caught Ginny rolling her eyes behind Fleur’s back.

“Thank you for inviting me, I think I should get settled, Ron?” he said as he leapt upstairs.

“How do I get these things off?” He glared at Ron who was right behind him; Harry pointed to his pigtails.

“Say ‘I solemnly swear I don’t want red hair!” Ron snickered as Harry repeated, and the hair fell off.

“I’m sure you are looking forward to getting away from those two this summer,” Harry joked.

“You have no idea. I know you don’t know everything of what we’re doing, neither do we, but Lupin said that he would be escorting us and that he will explain everything at Privet Drive after the wedding. The wedding is going to be great. The day after we go back with you then two days later we are heading out to Godric’s Hollow. I think we are going to have some kind of guard but I’m not exactly sure who is coming yet.” Ron had anticipated Harry’s questions.

Hermione had been planning most of what they were going to do this summer. Harry had said he wanted to visit his parents’ graves and the place where they were attacked.

“Neville and his grandmother are coming to the wedding, along with Luna. Luna said she can come, but Ginny decided she wanted to stay here with Mum. Mum wasn’t too happy when she found out we weren’t planning on returning, but Dad said it was our choice. He was disappointed too. I think Ginny just wants to be here for them because everyone else will be gone. Charlie has to go back to Romania the same day we leave for your Aunt’s, and with Fred and George not living here anymore, she doesn’t want them to be alone,” Harry listened to his rambling friend.

“Is Percy coming to the wedding?” Harry asked with great caution.

“Mum sent him the invite but no response. We don’t know. Part of me wants him back even though he is the greatest prat on Earth, but the other part doesn’t want a huge family row on Bill and Fleur’s wedding day,” Ron shrugged and stared at his hands.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
Lunch was fantastic. Everyone was lively and excited about the wedding. Fleur looked distracted but happy making last minute plans. Hermione and Ginny were deep in conversation, while Fred and George were plotting a prank on Bill. Ron struck up a game of chess with the soon to be victim, Bill. Harry watched the cheery room and was lost in his reverie.

“You are always welcome here, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley always seemed so much like a mother to him.

“Thank you, you all make it so wonderful, I think I should never wish to leave it,” he whispered to her.

“Even without red hair you will always be like a son to me,” she whispered back, as she gave him a deep hug.

She sidled back around the table, where she started questioning Hermione about her parents. Ginny caught Harry’s eye; she was staring into him. They hadn’t had a chance to speak since they broke up. Harry got the hint.

“I didn’t get much sleep last night, I think I will catch a nap before dinner,” he called to Ron who was watching his knight attack Bill’s bishop. He stretched and smiled at Hermione and Mrs. Weasley and walked upstairs to wait.

When he got to Ron’s room he realized Hedwig was perched on the windowsill waiting with a letter. She fluttered to him and he removed Neville’s response.


Dear Harry,
Thanks for the invite. Gran says its fine if I come with you. I’m rather looking forward to it. I think I will see you at the wedding in a few days. I hope you have been having a good summer!
See you soon,
Neville

“Hem, Hem!” Ginny did the best impression of Professor Umbridge. She smiled when Harry jumped.

“Hey, Ginny,” Harry tried to look cool even though he was quite nervous. “Did you want to talk to me?”

“Yes, I just wanted to say ‘Hi’, and welcome back and all. We are still friends and I’m still here for you, you know all that stuff.” She smiled at him as she came closer to him.

“I am really glad I am not coming back this year, I don’t think I could take it,” he whispered to himself but letting her hear as he pulled her into a one armed hug.

“What?”

“I know we can’t be together right now because, well everything, but if I had to go through this year having to see you everyday…It would drive me mad.” He never had any intention of telling her how he was feeling, but his heart was in control of his mouth at the moment.

“I miss you too, sometimes. I am still here though. When you need me…” she couldn’t finish. She just reached up and kissed him. It could have lasted days but it was still to short. She ran out of the room, the door slamming behind her.

The wedding day arrived. It was amazing. Harry had never been to a magical wedding before. The Weasleys’ had decorated their garden to have fairies shining over the guests while the most beautiful flowers had erupted. Professor Sprout and Neville had done some quick work to enchant some of the roses and lilies to erupt in color. Harry and Neville realized that they weren’t going to get much time to speak to each other, so they decided to talk when Neville met up with him on Privet Drive. Ginny and Gabrielle were the only bridesmaids. They looked lovely with their hair swept up into lovely curls and pinned strategically around their heads. They were wearing soft blue robes that shimmered slightly in the light. Mr. Weasley was to officiate the ceremony.

Music started up from somewhere. The Weasley men, minus Percy, trudged up the aisle. Charlie and the twins swayed ever so slightly. Harry and Ron had not drunk as the older boys the night before but they had been going past three. That Firewhisky was intense to say the least. Harry pointed this out to Hermione who was sitting next to him. She only rolled her eyes and smiled. He was sitting next to Mrs. Weasley. Neville and Luna were sitting a few seats back next to Lupin and Tonks. Tonks was crying sweetly each tear a different color, while Lupin tried not to laugh at her rainbow face.

Gabrielle slowly glided down the aisle, followed by Ginny. Fleur was carrying a huge bouquet of starburst lilies. Her gown was long and flowing and had the very softest tint of pink in it. She wore her hair down and a small silver chain adorned her head like a crown. Her beauty was simple but stunning. Harry heard Bill’s sharp intake of breath and watched Mr. Weasley beam at his new daughter in law. Mrs. Weasley clamped onto Harry’s hand as Fleur walked by on her father’s arm. Harry smiled at Ron who was rolling his eyes at his mother.

“Presently our world has little to celebrate. Today we stand before these two people who commit themselves to each other despite war, poverty, and death. We can only pray that their united future will bring them joy and peace,” Mr. Weasley began.

“William, before you stands a woman who values the man you are the very soul within you. She has strength and fire in her small frame. Lean on her, as she is there to support you, as you are there to support her. Her beauty represents the love she has for you. It grows more powerful with you in every breath she takes.”

Fleur’s eyes watered noticeably at the compliment.

“Fleur, before you stands a man who respects the woman you are. He fights and strives to be a good man for you, because of you. He will always be there to remind you of the goodness in your life. Play and laugh with him, do not let dark times shadow the happiness you both deserve. His passion will always demonstrate his desire to please you. It is a fire that can not be extinguished, even in death.”

Mrs. Weasley’s body was racked by silent sobs.

“State your vows.” Mr. Weasley cast his wand in a large circle around his son and daughter…

“I will hold and honor you all the days of my life. You love me for everything that I am and nothing I am not. My love can never yield as long as you are my wife.” Bill’s voice was cracking.

Gabrielle and Ginny were crying together and passing a handkerchief back and forth.

“I shall love and vant you for as long as zere is a breath vithin me. I promise to need your love and zupport. You vill have my ‘eart until ve are parted by death.” Tears stained Fleur’s face but she only looked more radiant.

Mr. Weasley’s spell cast a large circle around his children and the couple was drowned in beautiful golden light. Rings magically appeared on their fingers as they leaned in for a very tender kiss.

The ceremony had ended and the reception began. Music flowed through the garden. Friends and family danced and ate. Bill and Fleur never let go of each other’s hand. They danced and laughed. Just after they had cut the cake everyone got a huge surprise. Percy had arrived with Cho Chang on his arm. He did not speak to anyone. He walked with Cho to congratulate his brother.

“I wish you both the very best,” he said looking at Fleur. She could not be mad at him (or anyone else for that matter) on her wedding day.

“Zank you, Perzy. I know ve vill learn to be goot friendz,” she smiled as she pulled Percy into a quick squeeze.

Bill only nodded at his brother, but smiled briefly at Cho. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley decided not to do anything about Percy or Cho but rather to make sure that no one (i.e. the twins) did anything to them. They did not want a battle to erupt on such a happy day. Ron looked positively livid at seeing Percy again but Hermione dragged him to the dance floor. One crisis averted. Ginny looked as though she might rip out Percy’s heart with her bare hands, but only asked her father to dance. Percy’s days were numbered.

Harry tried to get Ginny in a dance but she had too many brothers. Fred and George seemed quite distracted about something. They kept checking their watches. Around ten that night the twins made a huge scene about how the bride and groom had to get off to their honeymoon. Bill and Fleur didn’t need much convincing. They ran up to the house to change and get their luggage. The guests had dwindled away and when the newlyweds left at a quarter to eleven, only the Wealseys, Lupin, Tonks, Cho, Harry and Hermione remained.

“EVERYONE!!” the twins screamed, “Into the living room.”

“What’s going on?” Harry asked.

“Oh, you’ll see.” Ginny grinned at him.

“We have about three minutes wait.” George said.

“Someone tell me what is going on.” Hermione demanded.

“Wedding night prank is a tradition. That’s why Mum and Dad eloped. It is also a tradition for the newlyweds to send a howler.” He laughed with anticipation.

“What did you do?!” Harry chuckled.

“Just be patient dear,” Mrs. Weasley cooed.

The fireplace suddenly burst in bright green flames as they howler was tossed into the room. It exploded before any of them could reach it.

“YOU VANISHED OUR CLOTHES!!! THANK GOD I WENT FIRST BECAUSE FLEUR LOOKED READY TO SCREAM WHEN I WAS CHECKING US INTO THE INN AND MY SHIRT SUDDENLY DISAPPEARED! I WAS LEFT WITH ONLY MY BOXERS AS I SPRINTED TO OUR ROOM!

‘OOEVER CHANGED OUT MY CLOTHES FOR THOSE TEDDIES, GINNY I KNOW IT VAS YOU, IS GOING TO REGRET IT!

I AM GOING TO KILL WHOEVER PUT THE PERMANENT STICKING CHARM ON MY UNDERWEAR!

ANT I VILL BE KILLING VICHEVER IN LAW PUT THE AMORUS POTION IN BILL’S DRINK! I ‘AD TO PUT ‘IM IN A FULL BOTY BIND IN ORDER TO ZEND ZIS TO YOU!”

With that the howler burst into flames as the whole group was crying from laughing so hard.

“Ginny! Did you really sneak those teddies into her luggage?” Hermione looked scandalized.

“Tonks helped me pick them out!” She screeched as her brothers howled.

“Who did the charm on his shorts?” Charlie was wiping away tears, “That was classic!”

“Thank you, son, not that I condone such behavior I’m just anxious for grandkids,” Mr. Weasley confessed as everyone else roared.

“We put the timed vanishing charm on their clothes, who did the potion?” Fred croaked.

“That would be me,” Mrs. Weasley beamed at her children.

“She sounded ready to slaughter…” Harry trailed off.

“Not to worry, she won’t try it,” Mrs. Weasley whispered with a devilish grin.

“She just might try it, dear,” Mr. Weasley chuckled.

“Not if she wants me to babysit,” Mrs. Weasley snarled, as Fred jumped up and kissed his mother loudly on the cheek.

“It seems Ron and Charlie are the only decent ones!” Hermione exclaimed with a huge smile.

“Don’t bet on it, we found out where they’re staying and put a curse on the bed. Once they get in they can’t get out for twenty-four hours unless they figure out the password.”

“What’s the password?” Harry was afraid to ask, but had to know.

“’Our first born will be named Ronald Charles Weasley!’ And they have to say it together!” Ron supplied.

Hermione smacked him on the arm, but they all laughed again.

“Dora and I have to be going. Thanks for having us. See you soon!” Lupin’s face what bright from laughing so hard.

“When your older, remind me to tell you what Padfoot and I did you your folks on their wedding night,” he said as he shook Harry’s hand with a devilish smile.

Tonks hugged Ginny and waved goodbye. The two Disapparated leaving Harry and Hermione with a bunch of crazing redheads.

“Mother, father, we should…” Percy started as if to be making an exit with Cho.

“Why are you here, Percy? What you just waltz back in here so that you can look good for pictures just to keep treating us like scum!?” Ron spat distainfully, and jumped to his feet. Hermione grabbed him by the arm and clasped his hand.

“No, I want to make things better, I’m sorry I know we need to take this slowly. I just wanted to be here today.”

“Son, you don’t realize how much you hurt us…all of us. You can not just act like you are here to make it better and expect us to follow suit,” Mr. Weasley whispered, but did not disrespect Percy.

Charlie, Fred and George were standing next to Ron with death stares aimed at Percy. Mrs. Weasley slid her hand back into Harry’s hand.

“You will always be welcome son, but we will need time. We all have to learn to forgive you.” She spoke with great dignity in her voice.

Ginny sidled up to Cho and surprised everyone when she hugged her.

“Thank you for coming, it meant a lot to Bill and Fleur,” she spoke without blushing. Cho hugged her back and Ginny turned her to back her away from Percy.

Ginny was inching Percy up against a wall. He looked terrified. She suddenly raised her arms, he flinched (which caused her to smile), and she gave him a hug too. The whole room was silent as they watched her push his bangs back, take off his glasses, and pull his face down so she could kiss his cheek. He smiled weakly at her just as she hauled back and punched him square on the face. His head bounced off the wall because of the force she threw with her fist. Harry and Hermione stood in amazement as Ginny stepped away her fallen brother and walked into the kitchen. Fred and George laughed as they helped Percy up, and Mrs. Weasley apologized to Cho. Harry closed his hanging jaw and chased after Ginny.

“I should have seen that coming,” Percy whimpered. It seemed that the healing process had begun.

She was standing with her hand in the icebox. She was leaning her face into her other hand and was crying. Harry slowly walked up behind her, put his hands on her shoulders and turned her to face him. Her face was bright red and had tearstains pouring down her cheeks.

“Oh, Harry, I’m sorry you saw that,” she gasped.

“You look beautiful tonight,” he never had a chance to tell her that earlier.

He kissed her forehead and pulled her hair away, as it was clinging to her face. He got towel from the table and wrapped some ice for her hand. They could hear energetic chatter from the other room. Harry pulled her wounded paw toward him and dressed the swollen knuckles.

“You are the best friend a girl could hope for, Harry Potter,” she whispered.

“Ginny! As much as I hate to admit it, you are my daughter,” Mrs. Weasley chimed from the end of the table.

She came around and inspected the injury. With a quick kiss and a wave of her wand Ginny’s hand was healed.

“Sorry Mum, I think I’m gonna go to bed now.”

“I love you, but if Percy asks tell him I yelled at you really bad after he left.” Mrs. Weasley kissed her daughter and ruffled Harry’s hair and left the room. Ginny smiled weakly again and silently went to bed.

That was the day that Harry Potter realized he was in love with Ginny Weasley.

A/N: Thanks so very much to my incredible betas Orlaith and Sciving_Snackbox! I love you guys! Please review!
When Petunia Meets Harry by peskypetunia
Chapter Three
When Petunia meets Harry

Harry and Ginny spent little time together during his brief stay at the Burrow. To his great astonishment, time always flew by quickly when he was there. Suddenly, he was preparing to return to Privet Drive. He did not want to return but was anxious to find the answers to the new mystery. What would he find out about his mother from his aunt?

He and Ron were packing silently, both in deep thought. Neither felt it necessary to speak. Harry was contemplating for the hundredth time his awkward behavior with Ginny. He knew he cared about her but was so afraid she would get hurt…Ron seemed to be debating some great issues with himself as well…

“I can’t believe Percy showed up with Cho!” Harry heard Ron murmur to himself.

“Yea, I wonder how they got together,” Harry returned.

“She has always been attracted to guys who had some ambition or name for themselves. Cedric, you, Percy has always been devoted to his own personal success…” Hermione was standing in the doorway watching Ron pack.

“Besides, she started working at the Ministry after last year. She told me that Penelope regretted Percy’s decision to turn his back on his family and dumped him flat,” she continued

“Serves him right, wait, how long have you been here?” Ron demanded looking worried.

“Just now, I came up to tell Harry that Mr. Weasley and Tonks want to speak with him,” she leaned against the door frame giving Ron a strange look as Harry quietly slid by her. He was sure a feud was about to erupt.

Harry remembered last year. He was afraid that if Ron and Hermione started to date that he would feel left out. In the end they had not gotten together, but he had begun to date Ginny. He spent less time with his best friends and more time with her. He made them feel left out and wondered if things had begun to change for Ron and Hermione. It may have been slow in coming but he was sure that they cared for each other in a way that was more than platonic.

“Harry!” Tonks exclaimed, “Glad you came down, we need to have a chat.”

Harry sat as Mr. Weasley and Tonks offered him a seat at the dinner table.

“Harry, son, you are leaving tonight. Remus has asked that you go home alone because of some conversation you need to have with your aunt. Tonks will escort you back. You will be Apparating when you have your things ready,” Mr. Weasley explained.

“What about Ron? I thought he and Hermione were…” Harry stuttered. He did not want to leave his friends again.

“Ginny is going with you tonight. They will meet you in the morning,” Tonks cut him off but she could see that Harry was upset.

“Why?” Harry was again furious that his plans kept changing without his knowledge and consent.

“We will understand when we get there, I promise,” Ginny sidled into the room carrying a mug of hot tea and handed it to her father. She kissed him gently on the head as he patted her hand on his shoulder.

“All I know is that I have to be there because I have something in common with your mum,” she crossed the room and smoothed down his anger in one breath. “Don’t be angry.”

Wanting immediate answers, Harry leapt up the stairs grabbed his bag (Hermione and Ron were squabbling again) and said his thank yous to Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Tonks grabbed Harry by the arm as Harry grabbed onto Ginny’s hand. With a faint “pop” they had clumsily collapsed on his Aunt Petunia’s eerily clean carpet.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

“I’ll never get bloody used to that,” Harry croaked. Tonks’s skills at Apparation weren’t very good. Harry fell backwards and landed on his back. Tonks landed on his head while Ginny fell over his legs. All three scrambled to get up as he heard a very Moony-like laugh from someplace nearby.

“Dora, I love you, but remind me to never let you co-Apparate with me!” Remus was laughing (and pointing) while Harry shot very nasty looks at the Marauder.

“Keep it up and you can call your self ‘couch-jockey’ for the rest of your life!” Tonks retaliated.

Harry laughed at the obvious defeat of Moony.

“Well Moony, I’m ready to know. What is going on and, not that I mind but, why is Ginny here?” Harry tried to be angry but couldn’t as Lupin was trying to hug Tonks. She stuck out her tongue, which at the moment was bright green, and walked to the other side of the room.

“Harry,” Aunt Petunia came into the room with a large tray of tea and biscuits, gestured for everyone to sit, “Would anyone care for tea?” she whispered trying to get up again.

“It is alright, Penny.” Remus reached across the coffee table and patted her hand.

“Harry, Remus and I are old friends. When your mother and father were engaged I was introduced to Remus. We walked down the aisle together at your parents’ wedding,” Aunt Petunia began slowly but her words came faster with each breath.

“Remus and I eventually began to see each other and your mother and I became very close. One day I asked her to make a present for Remus from me. We got into this huge argument but it was over something very trivial. Now I understand that she had her reasons for saying ‘no’ but I would not hear her. I felt she was lording her power over me and became extremely jealous. She tried to explain but I abandoned her. I left Remus and cut all connections with the wizarding world. I wanted nothing to do with that freakishness. I was bitter. Shortly after, I met Vernon. Less than three months after our argument I agreed to marry him. I explained everything to him after our wedding. He thought it was odd that my family had not attended. Anyhow, when you showed up I realized how much I had really lost but I still could not forgive Lily.

“Not long after your mother died, I found out that she had begun the project that I had asked of her. When she died I knew I would have to finish it someday. Your mother was a SpitFire. SpitFires are very rare in the magical community. They are generally associated with the best magic and are very good. They are called ‘SpitFires’ because when they spit, it erupts into flame.”

Ginny let out a small gasp, but Harry didn’t look at her.

“SpitFires are also known as Phoenix Branders, they create the magical creatures. It is a long and difficult process but it was one of your mother’s many talents. SpitFires have built in magical ability. With time and practice they can grow to control fire simply by looking at it. The most amazing part of this process is that they created phoenixes. Dumbledore taught Lily the process and she explained everything about it to me before she died. I loved hearing those stories about the beautiful birds. I wanted one in fact I wanted her to make one for Remus. That was the present we fought about…” she trailed off looking squarely at Remus.

“Oh Penny, I asked her to make one for you for my birthday. I was going to propose! I was going to give you the bird and have it carry the ring. I knew how much you wanted one,” Lupin looked very sad as he whispered to her. His head sank into his hands.

“We can’t change the past Remus. We are both happy now, but perhaps we can grow to be friends. I know Vernon may not like our friendship but I realize we need ties to the magical community and I would prefer those ties to be people I trust.”

The two adults seemed lost in their own world. Tonks looked agitated, but not because of the interlude passing between her boyfriend and Harry’s Aunt Petunia. Ginny had her hand clamped over her mouth and was looking at Harry.

“Okay so she was a SpitFire,” he snapped the former lovebirds out of their reverie, “What is so important about it? Do you think I’m one?” Harry was confused.

“No, SpitFire’s are only female. She had an unfinished nest and you need to complete the ceremony before they die,” Aunt Petunia mumbled.

“He can’t complete the ceremony. A SpitFire does. We need him to open the nest with his blood,” Lupin gazed from Harry to Ginny.
“So if I’m not a SpitFire, then that would mean…” no one was looking at him as he spoke.

“I am. I only found out last year. I was in McGonagall’s office after class waiting to talk to her. I spit out my gum into her rubbish bin, which caught flame. She came in just as the fire took and asked if that ever happened before, it had so she started mumbling to herself and said that I was a spitfire, I thought she meant I was spunky or something.” Ginny was speaking so fast Harry could not take it all in.

“Mum said that she thought I was one since birth when I got home. She started to explain the process to me. She explained that her mother had been one. After a nest is sealed in its box they have to mature for fifteen years. Before the sixteenth year the nest must hatch or all the birds will die. How long do we have?” she was staring at Lupin.

“According to the instructions Dumbledore left, ten hours,” he looked embarrassed.

“Cutting it close are we!? Mrs. Dursley, get me a blade please. Do you have the spell? Tonks go back to the Burrow and get my mother,” Ginny demanded jumping to her feet.

Lupin produced the spell and handed it to Ginny. Tonks Disapparated and Aunt Petunia vanished into the kitchen. Harry read over her shoulder:

*Burn Green Flames for two months
*Ash fifty hickory logs, set in cauldron on green flames (One month)
*Spill blood of the enemy on ashes (LM)
-will glow red
-let rest for one week
*Spill blood of the innocent (HP)
-will glow white
-let rest for one week
*Insert sacrifice-(Gran’s pearl ring)
-Ashes will absorb the blood and sacrifice
*Let stew for entire mooncycle
*Mix vile of centaur tears with vile of werewolf saliva and insert into cauldron on the morn of the full moon.
-Ashes will boil at midnight as the moon shines upon the potion the ashes will divide into
Gemstones
-Each gemstone will become one egg

**THE SPELL WILL NOT YIELD A CONSISTENT NUMBER OF BIRDS WITH EACH CAST**

*After gems cool insert into empty Pensieve
-deposit one memory of fear into the Pensieve
-deposit one memory of love into the Pensieve
**For Predetermination of a specific owner deposit specific memory or emotion into one gemstone**
*Gems will grow into eggs while residing in a sealed nest box for fifteen years
*Blood of the maker and the aim of a SpitFire must hatch the eggs before the sixteenth year.


“I am SO CONFUSED!!!” Harry bellowed at his aunt and friends.

“Your mother used this spell to make phoenixes. The first bird she birthed was Fawkes. Dumbledore taught her how when she was in her sixth year. After he died we found the nest box in his possession, we knew my blood would have to be spilled in order to produce the birds but we did not know another SpitFire before now.” Aunt Petunia looked at her hands as she handed Ginny a cutting knife from the kitchen.

“Why you, it says the maker’s blood, why not me?” Harry asked quietly.

“Your blood was that of the innocent, see the initials? HP? It can not be reused in the same spell,” Ginny pointed at the letters.

“Who is LM?” she asked gazing at Remus.

“Erm…Lucius Malfoy if memory serves. Ten guesses where she got the werewolf saliva!” Remus tried to laugh.

Tonks and Mrs. Weasley reappeared moments later. Mrs. Weasley had a bag slung over her shoulder. Tonks was still rattling away everything that they had learned. Ginny and her mother exchanged glances. With a quick smile Mrs. Weasley busied herself about her daughter preparing what she was about to do.

“Where is the box?” Ginny asked Petunia, “We need it now.”

Petunia turned and walked to the stairs to retrieve it.

“Mum, I have the spell but no incantation, I need you to shield me while I am doing the charms and the Awakening or else I will be under arrest for underage magic. Do you have Gran’s old spell? I’m sure that’ll do,” Ginny gazed at her mother.

“Oh, is that all dear?” her mother whispered sarcastically, “Your rather taking charge don’t you think?”

“I have ten hours Mum, the Awakening takes four and the incantation ceremony overlapping of course,” Ginny apprehensively looked at the clock above the mantle. “I just hope we aren’t too late already.”

“Ten hours!” Mrs. Weasley screeched at Lupin, “Honestly sometimes you are as bad as Sirius!”

“You and your daughter were cut from the same cloth, Molly,” Remus tried to frown but laughed instead and gave Mrs. Weasley a quick peck on the cheek.

“Cheeky bugger,” she mumbled as Petunia reemerged from upstairs with the box.

“Here is the box. The note from Dumbledore said that the only one who can open the box is Harry, with willingly shed blood.” Petunia spoke as she strode over to hand Harry the small wooden box.

It was a pretty box with intricate carvings and notches cut into the cherry wood. Harry clasped it in his hands. Harry didn’t notice Ginny prick his finger and let a droplet of blood fall over the seal. The ornate carvings glowed white for only a moment before the box clicked open. Black velvet lined the inside as five large gemstones were carefully lined and secured into place. Harry gasped at the beautiful stones.

“Do you have some cloth or wood I could use to set fire?”

Harry heard Ginny speaking, but he was gazing at the beautiful stones. Next to the stones were five small chains. Each chain had a medallion and a name inscribed into it. He could not imagine that they were about to be the magnificent birds that he saw in Dumbledore’s office.

“Here, use this,” Petunia handed Ginny several old towels, “Is there anything else we need?”

“No, thank you, it is time to begin, Mum,” Ginny saw her mother was already holding her wand ready to shield her, “When the incantations begin you must slice your hand and pore your blood over each stone. About an hour later they should begin to turn into the eggs,” she said turning her attention back to Harry’s aunt.

Ginny removed the gems from their nest box and placed them in the bundles of towels. She looked around the room and spat into the middle of the bundle, which immediately was engulfed in bright flames. For as large as the fire was, Harry felt neither heat nor smelled any smoke. He sat down on the floor next to Ginny as she began muttering words in some other language he could not understand. He heard his aunt whimper in pain as she sliced her hand and squeezed the blood out of her hand. She dropped several drops on each stone. When the last drop reached the last stone the flames erupted again turning a dark violet shade. Tonks healed her hand, and Petunia, Remus, and Tonks all sat on the couch waiting for the next few hours to end.

Ginny rocked back and forth shifting her weight never stuttering on the difficult words. Harry could not help but feel her intensity as he sat so close to her. The light from the fire danced in her hair. Harry tore his eyes away from her some time later to see if the stones had changed. They had swollen greatly and were vibrating softly. The first hour had passed.

After the second hour, Ginny was no longer chanting but humming and rocking. She was also holding Harry’s hand. She grabbed on some time ago while she was muttering the incantations. He supposed this to be a part of the spell but she had now taken to gently squeezing it every so often. She never took her beautiful chocolate eyes away from the flames.

The flames burned blue at the end of the third hour. Ginny looked positively weak. Her eyes were closed and she was still holding Harry’s hand. She was no longer humming but now silently whispering things to herself. Harry watched her full lips move. Every so often she would lick her lips. As the ceremony drew to an end Harry could hear the distinct cry of the phoenix.

Fawkes appeared out of nowhere in a burst of bright flame and watched as the eggs began to shake and roll wildly in the flames. Tonks had fallen asleep on Lupin’s shoulder. He had his arm causally draped around her and was resting his head against hers. Remus was still awake, but his eyes were glassy and dark. Aunt Petunia just waited and leaned her chin on her knuckles, propping herself up on the arm of her sofa. It was nearly four in the morning when the first egg cracked, and a tiny beak pushed forward.

The little, ugly, bird snapped out of the shell and sang a sweet chirp. Fawkes flew down to Harry’s knee and closely investigated the newborn. Ginny opened her eyes and smiled at the babies before returning to her muttering. When the last egg had completely hatched and five very ugly baby birds sat in the flames, Ginny took in a deep breath and muttered, “Finite!” The flames were extinguished as the clock on the mantle chimed four o’clock.

The ugly creatures rolled awkwardly on the singed rags. They all had small naked wings while a few tiny feathers poked through the skin. Harry could tell that each bird would be a different color. One had black feathers on his naked body while another had purple. Their large, bright yellow beaks stood out from their naked bodies. They continued to flop around as they watched Fawkes as he moved around their nest.

Fawkes inched over to the box which was still open and picked up one of the medallions. He carefully placed it over the head of one of the babies. The medallion expanded and shrank and fitted itself around the neck of the little phoenix. Harry realized that the inscriptions had been the names of the intended birds.

“This is the Awakening of Mercutio,” Ginny whispered.

She looked exhausted and was leaning into Harry’s arm. Harry noticed her mother was quite tired as well and had finally removed the shield. He tore his eyes away from Mrs. Weasley when he heard, “This is the Awakening of Pharaoh.”

“This is the Awakening of Jove; this is the Awakening of Sol, and this is the Awakening of Voerlute.” With that, Ginny collapsed into Harry. Her head fell softly onto his shoulder and was sound asleep.

“Congratulations,” Aunt Petunia whispered. “Take her up to your room, Harry, she and her mother may stay the rest of the night. You may stay in Dudley’s room tonight.”

Harry carefully lifted the sleeping SpitFire, and glided up the steps with Mrs. Weasley in tow. If he had not been so preoccupied, he may have noticed the many eyes watching him. Aunt Petunia saw Harry for the first time that night. She saw that her nephew had not left Ginny’s side and was not about to let her leave Privet Drive when she was that exhausted. Even if she had wanted to kick the Weasleys out…something about that redhead brought back too many memories. The stupid fight with Lily, her Lily, her sister, Petunia had wasted time. Was it too late to get part of her sister back?

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Harry had not even bothered to get undressed. It was nearly five in the morning when he collapsed onto Dudley’s bed. Only two short hours later he heard all too familiar yells from the floor below.

“Who the ruddy hell are you and what are you doing in my house!?” Uncle Vernon was home.

“Vernon dear, this is Tonks. She is a friend of Remus’s. What are you doing home so early? I didn’t expect you until this evening,” Aunt Petunia called from the living room.

Harry leapt up from his cousin’s bed and dashed downstairs. He saw Dudley and Uncle Vernon clad in funny hats holding fishing gear. They had gone to the lake like they did every year.

“We can explain everything but please stop screaming. My friends might still be asleep,” Harry knew that his uncle wouldn’t show that much courtesy for him but might for his friends. Well at least as long as there was a grown wizard standing in the same room as his uncle.

“Petunia!” Uncle Vernon gasped, “I thought we agreed that his friends would not stay. I don’t care what that Loony fellow said!”

“Vernon, they must stay. I don’t like it either but things are strenuous now. They will be here later but last night, Remus arrived saying that they needed my help. None of us have had much sleep and besides the lot of them will only be here for two days. After that someone will be here to collect them and we may never see them again,” her voice rose slightly at the end of her speech.

“Good riddance, I do not want Dudley around those freaks. I don’t care what that Loomy man says,” Uncle Vernon snarled.

At this point the whole party had congregated in the living room. Remus and Tonks were whispering in a corner to each other. Aunt Petunia was fluffing the pillows on the sofa while Uncle Vernon, fishing rod in hand, watched her. He was still trying to argue with her but realized that he was losing. Harry was leaning against the door to the cupboard under the stairs. He watched Dudley gaze back and forth between his parents.

“Penny, I need to take Dora home. My friend Alastor should be here in a few hours. Molly can keep an eye on things until then. When she wakes up tell her I will be back tonight. I noticed that your husband threw the Indicator back at me after our last visit so this time I will give it to you. Keep it with you and keep safe,” Remus handed Petunia a small fuzzy box. Harry could see her eyes begin to water.

“Dudley, why don’t I help you put all that stuff away,” Harry cleared his throat getting the attention of all assembled.

Dudley felt the intensity of the situation and was more than happy to get out of that room.

“So…how was fishing?” Harry tried to make conversation knowing Dudley would feel uncomfortable. Normally Harry would not care but Dudley looked bothered, more than usual.

“I have always enjoyed going to the lake with Dad. We didn’t catch anything though. Mum told me before we left that you and your friends were going to be here later on today. Dad said you would not. They are going to have a huge row after all that has happened,” Dudley eyed Harry who was leading them to Dudley’s bedroom.

“Harry, you are not my friend. I have never even considered you family. That night, in the alley, I saw you. You saved me from those things. Why?”

“Those things bring to life your most horrible experiences of your life. When they attack me I hear and feel my mother being murdered. I know you do not see that but what you feel is terrifying to you. I would not wish Dementors on you or anyone. Well maybe Voldemort but that’s a much longer story.”

“When they came after us, I saw you. I saw the time that you lost your tooth because I threw that ball at your face. You asked if you should put it under your pillow for the tooth fairy and Mum told you that the fairy only came to good little children who weren’t nasty like you. I remember hearing you cry at night and the times you woke up screaming, ‘Cedric!’ Wait, isn’t Voldemort the evil git trying to do you in?”

“Yeah, he is,” Harry had to chuckle. He knew Dudley did not understand to fear his name but the way he referred to Voldemort as “The Evil Git Trying to Do Me In,” was laughable. He made a mental note to tell Ron that one.

“Will he come after us?” Dudley whispered and sounded terrified.

“I don’t know but I can promise that there are people in the world trying to stop him. If he does, we will do everything to make sure that all of you are safe.”

This exchange between the cousins was so strange. It was as though Dudley needed to know if Harry was really going to be there for them, the same way he had been that night in the alley. A long moment of silence filled the bedroom. The two men looked at each other. Both realized that though they were not close, a new relationship had formed. It wasn’t trust or affection, just respect. A loud screech from the floor below brought the cousins away from this fluffy moment and indicated to Harry that at least one of the Weasley women was awake. Not wanting to miss the show, both men ran down the stairs.

Both Mrs. and Ginny Weasley were backing Uncle Vernon into the sofa.

“How dare you call that boy a freak!?” Mrs. Weasley always looked like a saber tooth tiger when she was on full form.

“Do you have any idea how incredible he is? His parents were murdered and he put up with you his entire life. He should be knighted!” Ginny was so gorgeous when she was angry.
Harry knew she was ready to spit bullets at his uncle, but did not want the house to erupt in flames.

“Mrs. Weasley,” he began trying to sound soft and trying to prevent the tigers from pouncing.

“He is bright and loyal and more of a man than you will ever be Vernon Dursley!” she rounded on him again.

“Harry is my friend. He is loving and generous and would never let anything happen to you or your family if he could help it, despite the Hell you put him through,” Ginny really was just like her mum.

“Gin, Molly,” Harry strained his voice and walked behind the sofa so he could see their faces.

“He has put himself in harm’s way several times to save and protect those people who are close to him!”

“He saved my life when he was only twelve years old. You do not even know that man, how dare you call him names!?” Ginny screamed as she pointed to herself.

With that Harry climbed over the back and over the couch and cupped the faces of the two fuming ladies, making them look at him. Uncle Vernon was left cowering behind him, splayed against the sofa.

“Ginny, Mum, I have been trying to get you attention. He doesn’t care and I don’t care if he does. You have made me a family more than they have ever been. Your screaming at them may be fun for me to watch but won’t change anything. Mrs. Weasley why don’t you see if you can help Aunt Petunia? Your son, the human bottomless pit, is going to be here tonight. With Ron, Dudley, and me…she will need your help. Plus Mr. Weasley will be fascinated by anything you can tell him about Muggle cooking,” he got a small smile at this but knew the harder one to convince was coming.

“Gin, why don’t you and I go for a walk? We can go to a little park just down the way,” her eyes were still burning into his uncle.

He kissed the women on the cheek before he released their chins. They both wore identical scowls but agreed all the same.

“I need to be getting home to Dad, besides Hermione and Ron should be Flooing over to Mrs. Figg’s in an hour. Why don’t we walk over there?” Ginny asked Harry. His face fell a little and he hoped that she didn’t notice.

“Erm, sure. I wish you didn’t have to leave though,” he tried to see into her mind. What was she thinking?

“I’ll be fine, Harry, besides the house all to myself? Who could say no to that?” she gave him her first genuine smile of the morning and bounded up the stairs to get her things out of Harry’s room.

“You two please be careful. I will be getting ready for the human feeding machine with your aunt,” Mrs. Weasley gave Harry a quick hug before following Aunt Petunia into the kitchen.

“You may not realize what has just happened here Uncle Vernon, but men have nearly died trying to get those two off their victims. I will not save you again.” Harry didn’t even turn around to look at his Uncle Vernon.

If he had, he would have seen a deflated man. He had no color to his face and looked like he might vomit at any time.

Harry and Ginny slowly walked to Mrs. Figgs’s. Both were trying to think of something to say without blurting out how much they hated being apart from each other.

“So, what has happened to the baby phoenixes now? Where did they go?” Harry questioned. His voice was much higher than he had planned on.

“They will follow Fawkes for a few months and then find owners. If your mother planned for you to have one it should return to you. If she did not plan on any of them going to specific people, they will choose their own owners,” Ginny answered with out looking at him.

Silence

When they reached Mrs. Figg’s they were surprised to see Ron, Hermione, and Professor McGonagall waiting for them.

“Well Mr. Potter, we were just about to go to your house. You may say goodbye to Miss Weasley,” Professor McGonagall stated matter-of-factly.

“Thank you for your help last night. It really means a lot to me,” Harry said, trying not to blush.

“You’re welcome, Harry. Goodbye,” she waved her hand and Floo away. She didn’t even wait for his response.

“Well Mr. Potter lets bring you up to date. I am aware of the fact that you do not wish to return to Hogwarts this year. I am here to try to persuade you to change your mind. Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger are in line for the Head Boy and Girl spots and you retain the title for Quidditch Captain. I am aware of the fact that you want to visit your parents’ graves and have the Horcruxes to find. You have the entire summer to do what you wish from this moment forward. Mr. Weasley and yourself have both expressed an interest in becoming Aurors. Therefore, if you return the first term would be devoted to preparing you for N.E.W.T.S. while the remaining terms would be similar to work-study. You and Mr. Weasley would begin practical training under the care of trained Aurors. Miss Granger has asked to study under Madame Pomfrey should you choose to stay.”

Harry’s head began to ache with all the choices before him. Go back to Hogwarts and train to become an Auror or refuse to go back to school.

“How did you know about the Horcruxes?” he looked tentatively at McGonagall.

“Alastor and Albus had been working together on that project. Alastor explained it all to me. Remus, Tonks, and Kingsley know but that is the extent of it.”

“You guys are as invested in this as I am, it is your decision too,” he looked at Ron and Hermione who were eyeing each other.

Mrs. Figg wandered between her guests. She offered them tea and did not seem the least bit bothered that teenagers had invaded her house.

“We go where you go, Harry,” Ron answered for the both of them.

“Harry, I think we should consider it. We will have free reign to research the Horcruxes and prepare for the battle. You and Ron will be better prepared for combat and I can learn to heal and help wounded. Ron is right though, we go where you do, make the call.” Hermione spoke with determined thought.

“If we would go back, there are a few things I would like to see,” Harry returned his gaze to the Headmistress.

McGonagall pursed her lips but nodded to indicate the beginning of negotiations.

“First of all, I will stay on as Captain only to prepare the team during the first term. I will give Ginny the co-Captaincy, and she can take over. Next, I want the school to endorse the D.A. let Luna and Neville run it with the old members. Last, extend the offer of work-study to all seventh years students who were members of the original D.A.” Harry watched the Headmistress think over his requests.

“I don’t have a problem with any of those things. Will you return then?” she asked as though she wanted to say more but had stopped herself.

“I think that as long as I can leave to destroy any Horcruxes we find, it would be best if we all return to Hogwarts,” Harry sighed. Hermione shrieked, and Ron mumbled something about Fred and George disowning him.

Please review! I really want to know if you like what I'm doing, this is my first fic!
Journey of a Lifetime by peskypetunia
Chapter Four
Journey of a Lifetime

Harry spent the next few hours in a daze. When they returned to his house, Mrs. Weasley nearly fainted to learn that they were going back to school. Dudley simply looked confused and sat with his father in the living room. Mrs. Weasley had brought him tea and biscuits but not without snarling at him. He whimpered. Aunt Petunia and Mrs. Weasley hardly said a word to each other. Harry suspected that Mrs. Weasley was only warming up with her little attack on Uncle Vernon. Tonight was to be a double feature.

“Ron lets get your things up to my room. Lupin said he would be back tonight and so should Moody,” Harry said turning towards Hermione, “do you know when Neville and Luna will be joining us?”

“Neville said he would meet us here tomorrow and Luna is going to meet us in a few days. Why don’t we go upstairs? I’ll help you guys get settled and we can plan everything that we want to get accomplished this summer,” Hermione suggested after lunch.

The trio silently moved upstairs. They sat in silence letting the gravity of their task set in.

“Well, where do you want to start?” she asked taking out parchment and ink so she could write out their itinerary.

“The graves; I want to see where my parents were buried. That shouldn’t take more than a few hours. After that we should head out to find any Horcruxes,” Harry decided.

“We can move out to Godric’s Hollow after that. If we find anything it would be a good place to work out how to destroy them,” Ron said insightfully.

“I suspect that Professor Lupin and Moody will have a few places they will want us to go to as well,” Hermione murmured without looking up from the parchment.

“Right you are Hermione,” Lupin announced. He was leaning on the frame of the door.

“You know that you three can call me Moony or Remus. I haven’t taught for some time yet” he smiled. “Molly is about to head out; you should want to say your goodbyes.”

He turned and made room for them to return to the kitchen. They stopped just before the door. Dudley was leaning against it, clearly eavesdropping; his hand was clamped over his mouth, his eyes very wide. The group cautiously approached the door and heard the dangerous voice of Molly Weasley.

“I am glad that you and Remus have made up so nicely, but I will not. That boy is as close to me as he could be short of channeling Lily. I will not accept you speaking or doing anything to him that is even remotely cruel. How that wonderful young man ever came from such a foul, scrawny little wench like you I’ll never know. I will not forget you Petunia Dursley and so help me if you so much as hurt his feelings ever again, Voldemort will be the least of your problems!” Mrs. Weasley hissed barely above a deadly whisper.

“I have never heard Mum use his name before!” Ron whispered to the group.

“Should we go say goodbye then?” Hermione asked cautiously.

They gazed at each other. They shouldn’t be listening in like this… Harry feared something like this was bound to happen, after she had nearly killed his uncle…More dialogue could be heard from behind the door,

“I understand. Thank you for your help with the Awakening. You have a beautiful daughter and son. Perhaps Harry could return for the holidays this year and our families can spend some time getting to know each other,” Aunt Petunia had no way of knowing that her son and nephew were ready to faint dead away from her last comment.

She had never wanted Harry back for the holidays why should she now? Perhaps his hearing was going but he thought he heard his aunt offer to spend time with wizards as well.

“That’s a wonderful idea Penny!” Lupin boomed revealing the five eavesdroppers in poor fashion.

The teenagers collected around the kitchen table. Moody and Tonks were sitting there; apparently un-phased by Mrs. Weasley’s attack on Aunt Petunia as they were playing cards.

“Merlin, I’m glad we’re playin’ for money Mad-Eye! If you keep playing like that, you’d be naked in no time!” Tonks giggled as Moody actually blushed and threw his cards down.

“Goodbye Mrs. Weasley thanks for everything!” Hermione strode through the kitchen hugging and kissing the matron on the cheek.

“Be safe my dears. Hermione I adopted you with Harry a long time ago. Try calling me Molly? I know you have a mum, but I will always be here for you,” Mrs. Weasley cupped the girl’s face and smiled.

Ron’s ears pinked as he kissed his mother on the cheek. Mrs. Weasley looked up at her son, terrified that she would not see him again.

“We will be fine. Don’t worry.” Ron emphasized every word seeing that his mother was fighting her innate desire to fret.

She turned to see her brunette son gazing at her. Deciding that the moment was getting rather heavy he stuck out his hand grabbing hers and shaking it furiously.

“Oh Mother Weasley, I can never thank you for everything you have done for me! We must get together again soon and do tea. Please send my regards to you husband and lovely daughter,” Harry laid it on extra thick to keep her from crying.

“Nice try! You are as bad as the twins put together.”

The whole room laughed at the powerful matron. She pulled Harry into a bone crushing hug with a hearty laugh.

“If you think I didn’t catch you calling me ‘Mum’ while I was rounding on Vernon you’re thicker than most teenagers! I love you all. Be safe.” And with a general goodbye to the rest of the room, she was gone with a pop!

The room was still feeling the absence of Mrs. Weasley.

“Would you all like some tea? Dudley dear, see if your father would like some tea” Aunt Petunia bustled around the kitchen.

“Let me help you Mrs. Dursley,” Hermione requested reaching for the empty kettle.

The two women worked silently for a few moments until Tonks broke the tension.

“Petunia that is a lovely ring I didn’t notice it yesterday.”

Tonks pointed to a lovely silver diamond ring on Aunt Petunia’s right ring finger. It wasn’t a large stone but was pretty none the less. The band had intricate carvings framing the perfect princess cut.

“Oh, thank you. It’s the Indicator Remus gave me,” she whispered.

“My, my, dear Remus, how did I miss out on that?” Tonks lifted a blue eyebrow at her boyfriend.

“Thanks a lot Penny,” Moony hissed with sarcasm.

“It is an Indicator. Yes it was the engagement ring I bought her years ago and it is connected to the pinky ring I have on my finger. We wanted to use that one because it was already registered, and this way we didn’t have to go through the Ministry to register a new one. Dora look, the teenagers are confused,” he said pointing at Ron’s puzzled face and laughing.

“An Indicator is an object that indicates if a person is in danger. It is common for engagement and wedding rings to be registered Indicators because spouses like to know that the other is safe. I registered the ring after I bought it. Penny just needs to activate it and my ring will react. It is the same magic as the Protean Charm. I believe you have heard of that one, right Hermione?” Moony was trying to be playful so that Tonks wouldn’t be angry.

Tonks merely sent a very nasty scowl his way.

“Dora, please don’t be angry with me. I wanted to protect Harry’s family besides Alastor suggested the ring!” He pointed at her boss.

“Trying to pass the buck, laddie?” Moody growled at Lupin but laughed all the same.

“Actually, I think it is a brilliant idea,” Tonks said without emotion.

“Then why do you look so angry with me?” Lupin was thoroughly lost by now.

“Cause you’re cute when you squirm!” Tonks cried and shuffled the deck of cards.

Everyone had a giggle at this, even Aunt Petunia chuckled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

That night Dudley and his mother were whispering at the dinner table. Uncle Vernon had chosen to take dinner in the living room. Hermione and Tonks were chatting away animatedly while Ron and Harry were speculating about who would try out to fill the open seeker and chaser positions. Harry would train but decided not to play so that he could properly prepare his replacement.

“Folks, I know we’re only going to be here until tomorrow night, but I think it would be best if no one left the house without a wizard of legal age present,” Moody declared.

“The only people that would apply to is me and the Dursleys. Thanks a lot Moody,” a very grumpy Harry snarled.

“Your birthday isn’t very far away, Harry, calm down,” replied an impatient Hermione.

“I was going on a run with my girlfriend tomorrow; does that mean I can’t go?” Dudley whispered in the direction of Harry.

“You can still go; we just want one of us to accompany you. How far do you run?” Tonks supplied.

“About four kilos, maybe five,”

All the adults groaned.

“I run with Mum in the summer; I can come with you. You could just tell her that I am the daughter of a family friend or something,” Hermione offered.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The next morning, Harry heard someone softly knock on the front door very early. He got up knowing it must be Hermione. Harry thought the better of trying to wake Ron and descended the steps to get breakfast. Dawn was breaking as Hermione and Harry chatted about nothing in particular. Dudley came down shortly after Hermione arrived.

“Harry, before I forget, if anything happens or you need me quickly, I have my galleon with me. Have Ron activate it and I will Apparate here immediately.”

Harry only nodded in response.

“When will your girlfriend be here?” she inquired of Dudley.

“In about ten minutes or so,” Dudley supplied automatically.

“What is her name?” Hermione was always inquisitive.

“Hagar,” Dudley managed through a yawn.

No sooner had her name fallen from his sleepy mouth had she knocked upon their door. Hagar had a bright toothy smile and sleek blonde hair. Today it was swept up into two tight buns on her head. Her eyes were bright and had a very familiar shine to them.

“Good morning hun,” she whispered to him as Dudley welcomed her into the living room, “This is Hermione and Harry. I've told you about my crazy cousin, and Hermione is a good friend of ours.” Dudley introduced them politely, shocking Harry.

“It is a pleasure to meet you both; I've heard erm… a lot about you, Harry,” she gave him a distinct once over. Her eyes surveyed him and naturally paused at his bright eyes and infamous scar.

“Well, we should get going. Another friend of ours is due to arrive today. Don’t forget, Neville should be here around noon.” She smiled as she slipped out the door leading Hagar and Dudley.

Hagar looked so familiar; Harry just couldn’t place it.

*~*~*~*~*

Neville did in fact arrive at noon exactly with Mad-Eye Moody in tow. Hermione had returned from the run and was anxious to get started on their adventure. Tonks, Lupin, and Kingsley arrived only a half hour after Neville and Moody and the meeting was underway.

“So, the graves first?” Tonks asked.

“Yeah, I want to see where they are buried,” Harry decided.

“I don’t understand how we are going to be able to have such an escort. I mean, won’t the Ministry think something is up if two Aurors, a retired Auror, and a werewolf suddenly decide to spend their summer with a bunch of teenagers?” The clever Hermione questioned.

“Well now I am thrilled you asked that question Hermione. Yes, that would be quite strange, wouldn’t it?” Remus looked like he was building up to something.

“It seems that a few weeks ago, Kingsley was apart of the battle in which the dementors attacked and requested to have the summer off due to personal injury. Moody has returned to retirement. You, my love…are our only problem child,” Moony reached under the table to grab her hands.

“Dora, how could we get you out of a few weeks or even months of work without anybody noticing?” Tonks shook her head.

“Oh my word!!” Hermione clamped a hand over her mouth as Moony shot her a glare that clearly said ‘shut up.’ “I have to owl Ginny!” and she flew up the stairs to find Hedwig.

Kingsley was smiling knowingly, and Moody was fidgeting with the deck of cards from the previous night.

“Remus, what are you on about? I thought we agreed that I would work at the Ministry during the week and meet up with you on the weekends,” Tonks was baffled by Remus’ strange behavior.

“We need you the whole time, and I need you more than that. If you were, say, on your honeymoon, that would remove the speculation considerably wouldn’t you agree?” Remus tried to be casual but came off very excited.

“What?!” Dora said quickly becoming speechless.

Harry, Ron, and Neville were picking their chins up off the table. None of them had expected this.

“Remus, are you serious? I nearly had to hold you at wand point to get you to go on one date with me and that was only a few months ago. Are you sure?” Tonks was growing more and more confident.

“I love you; I want us to be happy. You showed me that we deserve that at least.” He gazed into her eyes expectantly.

“A honeymoon would be an excellent cover; wouldn’t you agree boys?” Tonks asked Ron, Neville and Harry.

All three nodded and began laughing.

“You could have at least warned me, Moony!” Harry protested as he shook Lupin’s hand in congratulations.

More laughter came as Remus kissed Tonks and he slid a large Marquis Cut diamond on a platinum band onto her small hand.

“You’re no fun, Harry,” was the only reply Remus gave.

“I have to owl the Ministry to tell them that I am going on sabbatical for the summer because I’m getting married. Oh merciful Heaven, who would believe this?” Tonks whispered.

“Why should you owl them? I put your notice in for you two days ago. Your honeymoon officially began yesterday.” Kingsley pulled the blushing Nymphadora Tonks into a tight hug.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

The wedding of Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks was scheduled to be the day after everyone left Privet Drive. Harry had said his goodbyes to Uncle Vernon, which were not reciprocated. Dudley and Harry had not had a verbal goodbye, rather they shook hands. They were not friends but the respect had grown. Aunt Petunia laid a hand on Harry’s shoulder, warned him to be safe, and to keep in touch from time to time. Harry suspected that she was regretting their past together, and he was not going to make it worse. He assured her that he would send Hedwig along every now and then.

Kingsley had offered the use of his home in Bristol for the ceremony. Kingsley was a Muggleborn and was highly entertained by Arthur Weasley’s interest in his ceiling fan. Kingsley had a seemingly Muggle home that just happened to be protected by magic. He had suggested that the night of the wedding, that the Lupins return to Grimmauld Place for the wedding night, and that he would let Hermione, Ron, Neville, and Harry stay at his home.

The ceremony may have been put together in haste, but none of the guests would have known it. The guest from the Ministry had been invited by Tonks directly, while the Order members helped with the planning. Neville’s grandmother sent some of his beautiful Fireburst Roses and Stargazer Lilies. The magical buds lit up the garden ceremony with soft orange firelight and star shine. Fred and George offered their best fireworks for the evening. Bill and Fleur were not yet back and Charlie had returned to Romania. Percy was not in attendance but had sent a nice card with heart felt congratulations. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley had arrived very happy to check in on their youngest son. Ginny was to be a bridesmaid with Hermione and only seemed more stunning than the last time Harry had seen her.

Remus asked Harry to be his best man and a woman named Veronica was Tonks’ maid of honor. She had soft blonde hair. It was rather curly, and Harry knew he knew that face from somewhere. She had familiar playful eyes and often winked at Tonks. That wink was so distinctful. Remus and Tonks had asked Moody to oversee the ceremony. It seemed that the officer of the ceremony had to have a close tie to both the bride and groom.

Tonks opted for a simple cream sundress instead of extravagant robes for her gown. Her soft brown hair cascaded past her shoulders. She carried only a few Calalilies and had never looked more magnificent.

When the ceremony began, Moody waved his wand and Tonks began to glide down the aisle as a soft light eminated from her.

“Remus, this woman presents herself to you today. She is spontaneous, young, vivacious, and playful. She chooses to stand by you during the darkest of times and willingly walks with you when the light shines through,” Moody began.

“Woman-who-refuses-to-let-me-say-her-first-name, you are a pain in my arse. This man asks you to walk with him forever. He will never take you for granted and will always know that you are priceless. We are here today to wish you both love and luck from now until the very end. Please state your vows.”

“I, the woman known as Tonks,” she gave Moody an evil glare, “will walk with you in the sunlight and moon’s rays. You guide me and complete me.”

“I will hold you and cherish the time we are blessed with. You fulfill all that I have ever desired and I can never know existence without you,” Moony beamed at the sweet figure before him.

With the final kiss and the uproar of the guests, Remus and Dora were married. Music stemmed from somewhere and the dancing began almost immediately. Harry made a v-line for Ginny.

“Dance with me, please.” He whispered to her.

She nodded and took his hand.

“You look remarkable tonight. How is it at home? Are you enjoying the quiet?”

“Everything is fine, Mum is going loony with worry about you all, but I like the silence. It helps me think.” She answered him.

“What do you think about?”

“I don’t know, lots of things, I guess. I worry about you and Ron. I think about us, a lot.”

“Oh,” was all Harry could muster.

“What do you want from me, Harry?”

“What do you mean?” He slowly revolved with her.

“Do you want me to be your friend; what am I to you?”

“Gin, I really care about you. You know that I like you, but with all that’s going on right now with Voldemort…I just want you to be happy and to know that I think of you.”

She gave him the best smile any man could hope for and kissed him softly on the cheek.

“Thank you for the dance, Harry,” she whispered to him as she slid out of his grasp and began to dance with Kingsley.


A/N Thanks to my beta beautifuls Orlaith and sciving_snackbox! I love you ladies. Please review the next chapter is on its way!!!
Moving Forward by peskypetunia
Chapter Five
Moving Forward

That night was one of the best Harry could remember. After the newlyweds left for the evening, Harry, Ron, Hermione, Neville and the newly arrived Luna stayed up late with Moody and Kingsley watching old Muggle movies and eating popcorn. Kingsley’s home may have been very Muggle, but he had magically enchanted his Muggle appliances to work without electricity. Ron nearly shot popcorn out of his nose when he first saw the images appear on the television. Neville and Luna laughed hysterically as the knights in the film ran around clacking coconut shells.

Kingsley had fallen asleep on the couch, while Mad-Eye opted for the recliner, leaving the teenagers in a pile on the floor. When Hermione fell asleep half way through the movie, Luna and Ron brought pillows and blankets into the living room. Ron gently laid a soft blanket over Hermione while she snoozed on the loveseat. Ron sat just out of her arm’s reach on the floor. Neville and Luna scooted closer together while finishing off the popcorn as the movie came to an end.

Harry woke up late that night and stumbled through the foreign house to find the loo. When he found his way back to the living room he couldn’t help but notice that Ron had fallen asleep leaning against the loveseat where Hermione had dozed off. They had apparently moved closer to each other as they slumbered. She pillowed her head on her arm and innocently rested her other hand on the back of his neck. Ron’s forehead was resting gently on Hermione’s protruding elbow while he propped his left arm on his knee with his hand crossing his chest so he could gently stroke Hermione’s fingers. They were loving and gentle and completely oblivious to the fact that they were madly in love with each other.

If only they could see themselves through my eyes. Harry let himself think.

Neville and Luna had fallen asleep in a similarly suggestive position. They had leaned against Kingsley’s couch while watching movies. After the movie had ended Luna and Neville whispered tales of their summer to each other as Harry succumbed to sleep. Neville had put his arm around her in his sleep and she had snuggled into his chest. They were both so sweet and innocent, Harry was certain that Neville had no idea that Luna was interested.

Neville is going to be a fun shade of pink in the morning.

Harry crawled back onto the floor and fell asleep thinking of the way sunflowers perfume red hair.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Remus and Dora returned the next afternoon apparently angry about something. As they entered the house, they heard Kingsley’s off key voice singing in the upstairs shower. Harry was disgracefully splayed out on the floor while Moody was crammed into the recliner. Neville and Luna were sound asleep in each other’s arms and Ron’s head dangled at a very odd angle. His hand was still linked with Hermione’s from their unconscious interlude. Harry faintly heard someone speaking, but he couldn’t open his eyes.

“Dora they look so cute and innocent.”

“Yeah, then they wake up.”

“Was it really that bad dear?”

“Of course not, but seventeen times! I did not know that was humanly possible!”

“Well we did figure out a way to make that portrait shut up.”

“Can I attack them now?”

“Sure, but let Moody be, I don’t feel like being a widower just yet.”

Harry was suddenly upside down and being shaken with great force with Ron and Neville by his side. Luna and Hermione shrieked and laughed.

“Which one of you put that charm on Remus!?” Dora demanded.

“What charm?” Neville squeaked.

“The one that caused an amorous reaction every time my hair changed color!”

“No idea,” said Harry as he laughed with difficulty seeing he was still upside down.

“Fine then. Who slipped the potion into my drink that caused my hair to change color every half and hour?” She bellowed again.

Everyone laughed as Moody raised a sleepy hand from the recliner. The youngsters fell to the floor in disgrace as Dora rounded on Mad-Eye.

“What in bloody hell did you do that for and who was your accomplice?!” Dora screeched.

“I did it because if the situation was reversed you would have done worse and my accomplice was a silent partner. I assure you that the individual in question is decidedly more terrifying than you so I will not rat her out.”

“It was a her! Oh, when I get my hands on Molly Weasley!”

“Shouldn’t we get this band of criminals to our first destination?” Remus yelled over his wife.

“We’ll get the bags,” Harry gestured to Ron and Neville and the boys ran out of the room.

When they reached the closet that had stored their things, the boys pulled out some clean clothes and quickly changed in a spare bedroom. As the boys were pulling on their shoes, Harry decided to see exactly how red his friends could get.

“Ron, your neck must be stiff after last night.”

“What do you mean, Harry,” his voice cracked and his ears were a deep chrimson.

“Well, last night I woke up and couldn’t help but notice that you looked very affectionate towards Hermione. Care to comment?”

“Erm…No thanks,” Ron looked as if his eyes had suddenly exploded and sent blood every where across his face.

“What about you, Neville? Since when are you and Luna such a dreamy couple?” he choked back a chuckle.

“I have no idea what you are talking about, Harry.” Neville didn’t even blink.

“What am I talking about!? You two only seemed rather close last night. I was just teasing,” Harry stuttered.

“I like her, a lot. We have talked a few times since that night, in our fifth year. We are really good friends right now, but maybe we’ll be more. I don’t want to rush things, besides we graduate this year, she is a year behind me, and I hear there is a war or something going on…” Neville had grown up, in that very instant, in Harry’s eyes.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry and Moody had discussed the situation of the Horcuxes while everyone was dancing at the wedding. Harry convinced Moody that he wanted Neville and Luna to know what was going on because they were going to be with them for the summer. Harry remembered how Dumbledore had asked him not to tell anyone about the Horcruxes but somehow Harry knew that Neville and Luna would never and could never betray him. They were two of the best people he knew and wanted their help. Moody had instructed them, the next morning, that Dumbledore had suspected that one of the Horcuxes was actually a jewel-incrusted dagger. Though they knew that it had once belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw, they did not know a way to get to it.

“Dumbledore had once believed that the dagger was in the possession of the Malfoys, but he was never able to confirm it. Since his death, I was able to determine that ‘R.A.B’ was in fact Regulus Black and he did indeed destroy Slytherin’s medallion.”

Harry and his friends listened carefully to Moody.

“Well it seems we need to find a way to confirm if the Malfoys have Ravenclaw’s dagger, as we have no other leads, I suggest we head off for the graves tonight. My home is not far from there and we can stay there for the night before heading out to Godric’s Hollow.” Remus mentioned to the group.

After a general nod of concurrence, the Lupins, Moody, Kingsley, Hermione, Luna, Ron, Neville, and Harry, left for the burial plots of James and Lily Potter.

The large group co-Apparated to the base of small hill. It was a bright day without a single cloud to be seen. Dora led the group to a small iron gate that was magically locked. With a swift ‘Alohamora!’ she had ushered them behind the fence and locked the entrance behind her. Remus slowly moved up the hill guiding them through the various gravestones. Harry could feel something. It was like an echo as he crawled up the hill.

“I think I’ve been here before,” Harry hissed to Ron.

Something wasn’t right. Harry felt an unnatural pull forward. It was evil, unholy. A blinding pain shot across his scar. His scar hadn’t burned like that since the night Sirius died. The white hot wound enveloped his body as his body contracted and he fell to the ground. Harry felt Hermione and Ron pull him back onto his feat.

Through a sea of tears he saw his mother’s name etched into thick granite. Harry knew his friends were calling his name but they sounded like mere whispers. He clasped his wand from his cloak, fearing Voldemort was near. Hermione lost her grip and Harry sank onto his knees. Ever so faintly, the tip of his wand touched his mother’s name, and Harry Potter blacked out.

****
When he came to, Harry was lying peacefully on a soft white couch. A setting sun shone through the large window, the final rays dancing on the pink sky. A wet cloth fell from Harry’s brow as he heard murmuring from another room. He followed the familiar voices to see his group of vagabonds crowded around a small kitchen table, gazing at a small golden tea cup.

“Harry! How are you feeling?” Hermione jumped up and offering her seat to him.

“Fine it doesn’t hurt anymore. Is that what I think it is?” he looked at Moody.

“It would seem so; it appeared to be hidden in a secret compartment next to your mother’s grave. When your wand grazed her name, it revealed itself. I am certain that it is the Horcrux because when Miss Lovegood picked it up, she started to scream in pain. Neville is with her upstairs with a Healer. She should be just fine.” Moody explained.

“Why did I black out? Why could I feel it? How did we find it and why am I not in pain right now?” Harry demanded.

“We believe that you blacked out because of the pain, simple enough. We aren’t sure as to why you felt it but it could be because of the transfer of power to you from Voldemort himself when you were a baby, it could have been the brotherly connections of your wands, we just don’t know. As to why you felt it then and not now, Hermione put a magical blocking charm on it. It can not emit a magical pulse. If she were to remove it you would be screaming again.” Lupin explained patiently.

“Great, now how do we destroy it?” Harry hissed.

“We haven’t figured that out yet. We know that each object is like a magical bank. If the magical reserves are pulled two many ways or weakened, then it can be destroyed but how to do that… We are rather stumped.” Hermione muttered.

They spent the next several hours trying to shatter the tiny porcelain cup, but to no avail. The next morning was spent in similar fashion. In the end they carefully boxed it up and decided to move out to Godric’s Hollow. Luna had improved greatly, apparently the cup performed a painful curse but there were no lasting effects. Neville flat out refused to leave her side. The Healer turned out to be Dora’s friend, Veronica. Though she didn’t know how Luna was injured she diligently worked to help her. Harry wished he could have talked to her but he and Ron kept trying to blow up the cup.
(okay betas this previous chapter is ugly. Help!!!)

Kingsley used a Muggle car to drive the large party to Godric’s Hollow. The seemingly small vehicle had been magically expanded. It began to rain softly as they twisted through the country side, coming upon a small town. Harry gazed out the window. He smiled to himself. He had one of the remaining Horcruxes. Once it was destroyed, he would get the dagger somehow and then go hunting for that vile snake. As horrific as his task was he could not feel happy about the fact that they had made such quick progress. The car turned down a worn lane and pulled up next to an empty lot. The group fell out of Kingsley’s car and stared at the absence of the home that was once there. All that remained was a small white fence and gate. Hermione pushed her way through leading the group. She suddenly screamed and ran forward through the thick weeds and overgrown lawn. Ron and Harry caught up with her before the rest. She was huddled over a blood soaked body. He was barely alive and his breath was weak.

Even for him, Draco Malfoy had never looked so pale.

A/N: Huge thanks to Orlaith for writing a large chunk of the ending as well as to sciving_snackbox for all her fabulous help with grammar. I love you both!
Tales of a Death Eater by peskypetunia
Disclaimer: Its her back yard, I'm just playin' on the swings.

Chapter Six
Tales of a Death Eater

Harry and Ron paced through the kitchen at Grimmauld Place. Harry was silently reliving what had happened a few hours ago. They had been at Godric’s Hollow. Hermione opened the gate and trudged through the thick brush trying to find any evidence of the house that once occupied the space. Suddenly she was screaming and speeding toward the body of Draco Malfoy. He had lost a lot of blood and Harry could barely see his chest rise as he tried to grasp for air.

“Moody, get them out of here!” she had screeched and pointed to Harry and Ron.

“Wait, no, I’m not leaving!” Harry bellowed.

“Hermione you can’t take charge,” Ron started.

Dora was already trying to help Malfoy. Hermione slid to her knees and gently cradled Malfoy’s head.

“Remus, go, NOW! We will get him help; get them out of here!” Dora hissed at her husband, conjuring bandages for Malfoy.

Harry felt the awkward compression of instantly Apparating from one place to the next. He and Ron fell into each other as they wretched out of Lupin’s grip. A moment later Neville and Luna appeared with Moody.

“We have to go back; we can’t just leave them there. She’s my friend.” Harry rounded on Remus.

“And she’s my wife, Harry. Hermione was right. If he was there it was some sort of message. Pettigrew must have helped with the attack; he was the only other person who knew where the actual house had been next to Voldemort himself. The girls will be fine; Dora will know to come here.”


That had been nearly two hours ago. He and Ron were making their hundredth pass of the kitchen table when he heard that all familiar crash of the umbrella stand…

“Dora, you two alright?” Remus collided into his wife.

“Fine, fine, we got him to Hogwarts. He should survive, but he will have some permanent damage. Considerable blood loss, the snake attacked him, and he will never be able to use his left arm again. We would have been here sooner but Hermione needed to speak to an old friend. Perhaps we can get some good information out of him. Kingsley was with us and is with Malfoy now. He will be questioned under Veratiserum when he regains consciousness.”

“Are you alright, Hermione?” Luna asked as she patted her exhausted friend’s hand.

“I’m fine, thank you.” Hermione smiled wearily at her.

“Just what the HELL were you thinking, Hermione? Who are you to order us away like that and who the hell are you to take charge?” Ron suddenly began screaming.

“Guess what, Ron? I’m an adult. I can make my own decisions as necessary. He was dying, Ron. I needed to help him; I needed you to get Harry back here so that he would be safe. Didn’t you think that it was a little odd that Draco Malfoy suddenly appears, near death no less, at the former home of Harry’s parents?”

“Yes, but...”

“And if I scream at you to get him or anyone out of a place, wouldn’t that imply that I know that the area might not be safe?”

“Yes, but…” Ron realized he was going to be defeated and looked away from his fuming friend.

“Honestly, Ronald, you don’t think. I know you worry about me, like I worry about you. You’re my friend and I’m yours, but that goes flying out the window when the people you care about are in danger. Don’t ever question me like that again!” Hermione was now screaming at the top of her lungs.

Ron stood in shock as she huffed out of the room and up the stairs. He wasn’t the only one watching her. Luna chased after her and left the room in silence. After a few moments of tension, Moody broke out into a hearty laugh.

“What is so funny, Alastor?” Dora queried.

“Decidedly more terrifying,” he howled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning Ron and Hermione were not speaking to each other. Harry had too much experience with those two to try to intervene, so when Moody invited him to go along to question Malfoy, he was all too willing to abandon Ron and Hermione to their private war.

Moody pulled out a thin quill and placed it before Harry. Harry tried to count how many times Hermione had told him that one could not Apparate into Hogwarts. and wondered why he naturally assumed that was how they would be getting there today. The familiar yank at his navel brought him out of his daydreams and firmly to the floor of the Hogwarts Infirmary.

Madame Pomfrey, Headmistress McGonnagall and Kingsley were awaiting their arrival.

“How is he, Poppy?” Moody solicited.

“He’s pretty banged up, but he’ll survive, though, he will have to stay here for a very, very long time. Dora said that they were considering telling the press that he had died. It would be one way to keep him safe, but how to keep him away from the students is another matter…” she answered, shifting her gaze from Moody to McGonagall.

“We will manage,” the Headmistress answered crisply.

“Can we get on with this, I’m tired,” Malfoy hissed from his cot.

His beaten body lay limply of the soft mattress. He had a large gash from his left ear to his nose and Harry could see the marks on his neck from where the deadly snake had attacked him.

“Has he been administered Veratiserum?” Moody looked at Pomfrey who nodded.

“Very well,” he growled, beginning the questioning.

“Please state your full name.”

“Draco Seymour Malfoy.” Malfoy looked malevolent having to admit ‘Seymour.’

“When were you attacked and why?”

“Four nights ago, because I failed the task that my Lord gave me.”

“What was your task?”

“To kill Dumbledore.”

“How were you punished?”

“Because I failed, he bound me and forced me to watch as my mother was tortured. He then ordered Pettigrew and Snape to cast various spells on me to bring me to the point of death. He did not care if I died, only that I suffered.”

“What did they do to you?”

“Pettigrew cast a hex that slowly turned the bones in my arm to dust. Snape forced me to take a potion and then suggested that the snake attack me. It bit me several times before I blacked out. The last thing I remember was hearing my Lord banish me to a place where Harry Potter would see me as I died.”

“Why did he want Harry to find you?”

“He wanted Harry to see what he has planned for him and his friends.” With that an evil smile crawled across the broken face.

“Is your family in possession of a dagger that once belonged to Rowena Ravenclaw?”

Harry enjoyed seeing Malfoy trying to fight the effects of the Veratiserum before choking out a small, “Yes.”

“Where is it kept and how could we get to it?”

“It is our most valuable treasure. Father keeps it in a high security vault at Gringotts. Unless you have proper legal ownership of it, you could never get it. Father bought the vault outright and it can only be accessed by the legal owner,” he whispered.

“What does Voldemort have planned next?”

“Various attacks, kill Harry Potter, I am no longer privy to such information.” He was smiling again.

“How do we find him?”

“He’ll find you.”

Moody had asked his final question knowing that there would be no good answer for it. Harry had silently listened. He had let his thoughts dwell on the questions and answers. He thought of his parents and how he wished that they were there to guide him. He thought of Sirius and how he shouldn’t have died. He knew that Sirius would have rather gone fighting if he had to go, but the thought of that evil elf’s betrayal…If Kreacher…

Malfoy was at Hogwarts. Kreacher was at Hogwarts. This could get very ugly.

As Moody and Kingsley whispered between themselves about Malfoy’s responses, Harry abruptly got up and walked out of the wing.

“Kreacher!” Harry called.

The hideous Elf was instantly by his side.

“I hereby command that you are forever restricted to the kitchens of Hogwarts Castle. You may never venture into or outside of the rest of the castle. Do you understand?”

The Elf nodded and was gone. At least he could be certain that Kreacher would never again try to aid the Malfoys. With that worry aside, Harry strode back into the Hospital Wing intending to ask Malfoy a few questions of his own.

“Malfoy, how many Horcruxes has Voldemort made?” Malfoy winced at his master’s name.

“Seven,” he whispered.

Harry inwardly sighed; that was the number that Harry had hoped for and expected.

“What are they?”

“I only know of the dagger; I was never told what the others are.” Malfoy growled through clenched teeth.

Harry saw that Malfoy wouldn’t have anymore information and sat down next to Madame Pomfrey.

“Mr. Potter,” she began slowly.

“Madame Pomfrey?” he raised an eyebrow at the nurse.

“Could you do me a small favor this year, please?” Harry nodded to her question.

“I would like you to never have need for my services ever again, if possible. Do you understand?” A tiny smile played on her sage face.

“Absolutely, don’t get hurt or sick this year or go straight to the morgue, right?” He laughed as she rolled her eyes at him.

“You are worse than your father, you know that?”

“Did he have a natural ability to collide with trouble as well?”

“Let’s just say that he and another mischief maker were known to find my cots quite comfortable.”

“What do you mean?”

“Well if I had ever taken him up on any one of his thousands of offers, I can safely bet that I would have been your godmother.” She winked at him roguishly as he realized that she wasn’t comparing him to his father but really to Sirius.

“Harry!” Moody barked, “We should get going.”

Harry smiled at the Healer and the Headmistress as Moody guided him out of the wing. As they slipped down the passages of the vacant castle, Harry wondered why they hadn’t transported back to Headquarters with the Portkey.

“Well, it seems that we need to get a legal hold of the Malfoy properties. Any ideas?” Moody snarled.

“Maybe if we petition the Minister directly we could work something out,” Harry began.

Minister Scrimgeour would likely help Harry, but it would cost him.

“I can arrange us to have dinner with old Rufus tonight, if you would like me there. We also need to establish a new Head of the Order, and Secret Keeper for Headquarters. Dumbledore’s charm was powerful and lasting but it would be best to redo it all the same.”

“Who would you recommend for the Head and Secret Keeper?” Harry questioned.

“Well, I think that those positions revolve around you and what you need. If I were in your position, I would choose Remus for both jobs, but you would have to delegate a second in command because of his condition.”

“Let’s do one thing at a time. After we deal with the Minister, we can worry about the debate of the new commander of the Order of the Phoenix.” Harry shook his head as he envisioned the members squabbling over the position.

Moody smiled and guided Harry out of the castle and onto the grounds. After a brief visit with Hagrid, Moody returned Harry to Headquarters and immediately Disapparated to the Ministry. Harry hoped that the Minister would be able to help them, but he also hoped that he wasn’t about to sell his soul to get his support.

Harry wandered into the kitchen searching for Ron and Hermione; sadly he found them.

“Ronald, I did what I thought was best; can’t you let me be about it?”

“Hermione, honestly you could have let Lupin or Kingsley take over. Why you? You just have to control everyone and everything. You are so bossy; can’t you ever relax and let someone else call the shots?” Ron spat angrily at her.

“Oh and who would that be, Ron? You haven’t ever made a move to ‘call the shots.’ I’m certainly not going to wait around for you to stumble through when something important is happening!”

“What are you saying; that I can’t make decisions? That you can’t count on me?”

“Oh you can make plenty of decisions as long as they involve your consumption of food.”

“That’s nice Hermione, really. I’ll never know how I ever managed to live a day without having you nag me!”

“And I will never know how I got through all those days without you around; I mean how can I live if you don’t call me names at least once a day? Its positively depressing! If I never hear you call me a ‘nag’ again, it will be too soon!”

Ron stormed out of the room. Harry heard him slam the door to whichever room he landed in as he watched Hermione slide into a chair.

“Hermione,” Harry could see the tears in her eyes.

“I’m fine, Harry, just let me be alone for a few minutes, okay?”

Harry gazed at her knowing she really did want him to leave her alone; he did what he knew would be the only right answer. Luna was playing Exploding Snap with Neville in the library.

“Er, Luna, I think Hermione may need you now.” Harry tried not to sound desperate for his friend.

She was gone in an instant and Harry took her place at the game with Neville.

“I’m sorry I lost you your partner, but I am complete bullocks when it comes to girls.” Neville snorted.

“Don’t worry Harry, Ron will come around. So how did it go with Malfoy; did you learn anything useful?”

“The only interesting thing that interview yielded was that Malfoy’s middle name is Seymour.”

The two boys let out a hearty laugh just before Harry’s card exploded, singeing his finger tips. A few moments later Luna and Hermione quietly inched into the room.

“Harry,” Hermione’s voice quaked. “Could I borrow Hedwig? I would like to send a letter to Mum; I haven’t talked to her in so long.”

“Of course,” Harry suddenly had a brilliant idea. “Before you send her off, bring her to me so that I can send a letter off as well. I left something at the Burrow and need to see if Ginny could bring it to me.”

Hermione raised an eyebrow but didn’t ask any questions. She sniffed and went to find the snowy owl. Harry rushed to a desk and found parchment and ink,

“Dearest Mother Weasley.” He smiled remembering the day she had told off his aunt.

Dearest Mother Weasley,
I don’t know how much you know about what is going on but we are all fine. A bit of an incident happened the other day but we are all fine. No one was hurt. DO NOT WORRY. We do have a small problem though; Hermione is in desperate need for a friend. She and Ron had it out, again, and as I’ve got a lot on my plate and Neville and Luna are getting closer, I’m afraid that she might need someone who can relate to her. Could you see if maybe her parents could drop by or maybe you and Ginny could stop by sometime? We all miss you. You might be surprised to hear this, but Dora isn’t half the cook you are. If you can come we are visiting Lupin’s dog.
Love,
Your favorite brunette son.


Harry quickly reread the letter; he knew Mrs. Weasley would see that he really wanted someone there for Hermione and that they were at Grimmauld Place. When Hermione re-appeared with his beloved bird, he affixed his letter to her leg and watched her sail through the sky before returning to Neville for another game of Exploding Snap. A short while later Neville and Luna left to explore the house, while Harry and Hermione discussed old friends and what Harry would have to do to get the Minister of Magic to help them.

By dinner time Moody had returned to tell Harry they would be having dinner with the Minister and that he should be ready by seven o’clock sharp. Harry tried to flatten his hair but to no avail. Moody collected Harry at four minutes ‘til the hour and they co-Apparated into a private room of a very dirty pub.

“Where are we?” Harry questioned.

“We are in a secure room at the Hog’s Head, in Hogsmeade. I know the owner and can be certain that the room is secure.”

A flash of bright green flames ushered Minister Scrimgeour into their room along.

“Well, I say, let’s eat first and do business later. Wouldn’t you agree, Rufus?” Moody shook the Minister’s hand and led him to a full table.

They ate in silence. Minister Scrimgeour watched Harry darkly and ate in great haste. Harry was privately thinking about the conversation he was about to have and what Hermione had helped him prepare to say. Harry trusted Moody, but hadn’t been able to talk to him privately. He certainly did not want Moody speaking on his behalf. Harry slowly picked at his meal to give himself more time. He gazed around the dark room. The only light was from the fire and the three candles on the table. The stained walls almost whispered the private dealings done in that room. Harry was grateful that the walls couldn’t speak; he didn’t want to know what they had seen. Upon seeing that the Minister was finished eating, Harry cleared his throat and took a deep breath.

“I’m not sure what all Moody has told you, Minister, but I would like to know why you think you are here,” Harry began slowly.

Moody smiled but continued to eat manfully.

“Alastor only said that you need my help and that I was to be here at seven sharp.”

“Basically we need your help. I need your help specifically. I know that you have wanted my help in the past and I have been less than enthusiastic, but I am willing to work with you now,” Harry could feel his face getting warmer.

“I’m listening, Mr. Potter.” The Minister grinned with maniacal gleam.

“Many of Voldemort’s Death Eaters are exceptionally wealthy; I fear that their finances prove to be a great deterrent against the Ministry when working against him. Wouldn’t it be understandable if the Ministry seized the assets of known Death Eaters to prevent their aid to Voldemort? I’m aware that in times of war this is not an uncommon practice among governing bodies.”

“That is not a bad idea, but where would the money go? We would have to keep it somewhere and the people would not look kindly upon the Ministry controlling it. I suppose we could delegate the ‘assets’ to the next of kin that can be proven of legal activities, that is, haven’t sided with You-Know-Who. In order to do all this, though, we would have to bribe the Goblins, how do you think we could get them to agree to that?” Scrimgeour raised an eyebrow.

Harry could tell that the Minister was stalling to tell him what he would have to do to get the Minister’s support.

“Repeal any of the acts written or endorsed by Delores Umbridge,” Moody growled. “Honestly, Rufus, make a pretty little speech saying how comforting it is to know that they are on our side and that we have undervalued them too long. What do you want?”

Harry sat shocked as Moody shoveled a large piece of tart into his mouth. Harry never realized Moody could be so, well…cool.

“I want you, Mr. Potter, to publicly state that you feel the Ministry is working very hard and in the right direction.”

“Minister, I will agree to be your little spokesman, but only as long as you are truly doing good things. Did you ever release Stan Shunpike?”

“We will release him tomorrow. After this news hits the press, we can bury his story in the back of the paper and it will be easily forgotten.”

“Not for Stan it won’t, at least give him a formal apology.” Harry didn’t like how this was going.

“Then you will talk to the press on behalf of the Ministry?” The Minister’s malevolent smile was back.

Harry silently blessed Hermione at this moment.

“No, I will talk to my personal press agent. She will release all my stories and only she.” Harry took a moment to enjoy the fall of Scrimgeour’s face and the rise of Moody’s grin.

“Take it or leave it, Rufus,” Moody spat.

“Fine, but I think I am getting the short end of the stick. Do not make me regret this, Mr. Potter.” He abruptly got up and Disapparated.

Moody leaned back in his chair and Harry exhaled.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry stayed up late that night talking with Ron about everything he and the Minister had discussed. Ron flat out refused to say anything about or to Hermione so they kept each other busy trying to think of ways to destroy the tea cup. Around midnight the best friends lumbered downstairs looking for refreshments. As they entered the kitchen their mouths dropped open in surprise.

“Harry!” Mrs. Weasley exclaimed.

“Oh, Harry, you ruined the surprise. We were setting up decorations for your birthday,” Ginny whined.

Large green and blue streamers had been magically affixed to the ceiling. Two monstrous banners shone. The green one said ‘Happy Birthday Harry,” while the blue one said ‘Happy Birthday Neville.’ Harry had completely forgotten that today had been Neville’s birthday and mentally smacked himself.

“Oh, you didn’t have to do all this. Thanks,” Harry’s eyes rested on the youngest Weasley.

Her hair was messily tied up. She had on grey and pink striped pajama pants and a soft pink hooded sweatshirt. The shirt had a large green monster printed onto the front with the word “GROUCH” spelled out underneath.

“We got your letter, Harry. Hermione just went up.”

“Thanks,” he choked out with a great blush.

“Well, I think I’m headed for bed.” Ron said with a great stretch. “Good to see you, Mum.”

He hugged Ginny and patted his mother on the head and retreated to the upstairs.

“I will just finish wrapping your birthday present from Arthur and me; Ginny dear, don’t stay up much longer. We are going to Diagon Alley tomorrow, you know.” Mrs. Weasley embraced her only daughter and ruffled Harry’s hair before disappearing from the kitchen.

Harry and Ginny sat in an awkward silence for a few moments before she finally found her voice.

“So you’re coming back after all?” She whispered over a mug of coffee.

Harry nodded.

“Gin, I hope you and I can be friends this year. I’ve missed having you around.”

“Harry, we will always be friends.”

After another awkward moment of silence Harry tried to lighten the tension.

“So do I get my birthday present? You know if you all hadn’t done this, I would’ve totally forgotten about it.”

“We knew you would forget, and all that I have to give you is a little letter. It isn’t much.” She blushed with great tenacity. “But it might help you remember why you are doing this. Before you ask, Lupin brought a box of stuff over from Grimmauld Place at the beginning of summer. He asked that we go through it and save anything we might want. It was mostly junk or unsalvageable but…” She handed him a very weathered envelope.

With a swift hug and, ‘Goodnight, Harry,’ she vanished down the hall and up the stairs. With great haste, Harry ripped open the letter and read with fury.

Dearest James,
I know that you are very busy working with Dumbledore, and I’m sorry to keep you from whatever insane idea he has cooked up for you and the toddlers you call friends. Please tell Sirius and Remus that they would know what is good for them if they never try to jinx our bed again. I am certain that it was Sirius, and I have a right mind to spit in his general direction next time I see him. Please tell Remus that I took back the handcuffs and the leather boots, and I want to know exactly how he knew my sizes. If only he knew that I already had that pair. I still don’t want to know what they had to do to make that particular part of you anatomy invisible but will you inform them that it had little effect when you consider the outcome. Now I know that you are wondering what that last statement meant. I am sure that you have passed this letter off to Sirius trying to make sense of my ramblings. Remus always was the smarter of the two so maybe he will have more luck. I can tell you this much, if you even think of making him a Maurader, I will personally flame any one who tries it.

All my love,
Lily

Harry re-read the letter confusedly. What had his mother meant? No sooner had he thought it had Moony appeared with a letter of his own clutched in his hand.

“Harry, are you alright? You look like you have walked through a ghost.”

“Ginny gave me a letter for my birthday but I don’t understand it,” Harry handed his mother’s script to Moony.

A tiny grin widened across his face and began howling with laughter.

“Oh I forgot when we got this. Your mum was a class act. She could take on the Mauraders and leave four devastated men in her wake.” He laughed again. “Dumbledore told her that once a week we had a meeting that the men had to attend during the first war. He said it was vital to our mentality, which I suppose was code for a bowling league. We ran off every Thursday and all of the wives threw a fit. Alice Longbottom near hexed old Frank into tomorrow when she found out we weren’t working against Voldemort, but rather drinking at McGillicuttie’s Bowling Barn every week. Lovely Lily sent that letter to James the week after they got back from their honeymoon.”

“Did you really send her those boots?” Harry had no idea why he asked that question.

“No that was Sirius, he did the bed too. I Disillusioned your dad’s… well never mind. Do you realize what she was saying?”

Harry shook his head ‘no.’

“She was telling James she was pregnant with a baby boy. That was the one thing James wanted more than anything else, a son. He wanted you to be just like him and Sirius. When we got this letter, Peter had to levitate the three of us back to your folks’ house because we were so very, insanely drunk. If I remember correctly, Sirius woke up stuck to the ceiling. Your mother wasn’t too fond of drinking, probably because she couldn’t hold her Fire Whiskey.”

“What was your letter about?” Harry quickly changed subjects.

“Apparently there has been a new law passed. Anyone who has been declared a known Death Eater within the past three years has had all their finances and legal holdings stripped. Dora and I have to go to Gringott’s tomorrow to claim the transfer of funds from her relatives to us.”

“Do you know what you will be getting?”

“Not really, but I know who she is getting it from.”

“Oh really, who?”

“She is becoming the legal owner of the entire Malfoy estate.”



A/N My betas are better than your betas. I love you Orlaith and sciving_snackbox!! Please review!
Slow Motion by peskypetunia
Disclaimer: Its her back yard, I'm just playing on the swings.

Chapter Seven
Slow Motion

The next day dawned with great haste. Harry slept deeply in his warm, soft bed. He had dreamt of his parents and birthdays; he was lost in his fantasies and never even heard his bedroom door quietly squeak open and six feet gently slink into the room.

“Harry gasped as the wind was knocked out of him, the thudding sensation erupting all over his blanketed body. He jerked awake, sitting up suddenly, stupidly fumbling for the means to unmask his conspirators “ his glasses!”

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY, HARRY!!!” Ginny and the twins yelled as they bolted out the door.

The three criminals dashed out his bedroom door with Harry in close pursuit. He nearly caught Ginny on the landing, but was detained when Ron hurled a full bucket of freezing cold water at his fully clothed body. Harry stumbled backwards to where Luna and Hermione bounded up from behind him and dumped several bags of glitter on his sopping head.

He entered the very full kitchen, dripping and sparkling in the morning light. A roar of laughter erupted as he was pulled to the head of the kitchen table next to Neville. Harry gazed at Neville. He was not wet, nor glittered, but his entire person was stained bright pink. Neville’s hair stood on end and he was apparently suffering from hiccups. With each hiccup square bubbles soared out of his mouth. Harry and Neville laughed as they saw each other and shared a quick, “Happy Birthday!”

Mrs. Weasley took a few fast photos and assembled everyone into a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday.” After their song, she whipped out her wand and dried Harry, but let him stay shiny. Ginny and Mr. Weasley put two large plates in front of the birthday boys.

“I hope you two have a wonderful birthday! Molly and I have gotten you both presents; I have no idea what they are…but I hope you both know that I am very proud of you and am here for you if you need anything.” Mr. Weasley smiled at the young men and caught his wife in his gaze.

Neville and Harry blushed brightly as the patriarch sauntered over to his wife where he promptly dipped her and kissed her with relish. She swatted his arm, though she was glowing with an equally flirtatious spirit. The Weasley boys groaned while the girls laughed. About this time Harry noticed a very distracted Hermione place a large basket of biscuits on the table. Ginny was bouncing around her brothers placing silly paper party hats on their heads. Harry saw everyone busy and took a moment to check on his best friend.

“Hermione, are you alright?”

“I’m fine, thanks.” She pulled him into a deep hug before wandering to one of the seats at the table and pouring herself some juice.

She was still lost in her own thoughts, but looked happier than the day before. He made a mental note to offer to beat Ron up for her. She was after all the closest thing he had to a sister and he couldn’t be caught sleeping on the job. Harry saw Dora and Remus slip into the room unnoticed. They both wore deep blushes, mussed hair, and very ruffled pajamas.

“Why do you blush so, Moony?” Harry chimed with the most disgusting smile he could issue.

The crowd laughed as Remus flung a biscuit at Harry’s head. Soon everyone was immersed in their breakfasts. They all tried to rush through their meals so that the birthday boys could get to the large pile of presents. Ron grabbed a few extra pieces of toast while his sister and mother pulled Harry and Neville into the living room to open several presents.

“You first, Neville,” Harry offered.

Neville tore into the small package his grandmother had sent him. A note escaped the box just as he drew out a small leather bound book.

My Dear Boy,
It was your father’s. He would want you to have it. Be safe and know that I love you.
Gran


Neville gently flipped through the passages of his father’s old journal. He sniffed back the large lump that had swelled into his throat and nodded to Harry to indicate his turn.

“Harry, to get your present from Dora and me, you’ll have to look around.” Remus indicated behind Harry.

A large painting was mounted on the wall exactly where Mrs. Black had once resided. Harry gazed at the colors. It was very abstract and magically enchanted. The colors and shapes swam across the canvas making new colors and shapes. Somewhere deep within Harry’s memory something clicked. He knew that painting like an old lullaby.

“Your mother painted it. During meetings we would prop you and Neville in front of it. You two would sit in complete silence and watch for hours. You were mesmerized by it. That painting was always my favorite, so she gave it to me on my birthday, about a month before you all went into hiding. She said I could have it on one condition - that she could bring you over anytime she wanted if she needed a moment of silence. You were a rather fussy baby.” Remus finished his diatribe and winked at Harry.

Harry blushed and turned back to Neville who was gazing intently at a bright red beam that was dancing in the bottom right corner of the frame. A moment later he had torn his stare away from the amazing art and they were both ripping into the rest of their packages.

Hagrid had sent them both large tins of homemade fudge, which they both offered to the forever famished Ron. Hermione and Ginny gave Neville an elaborate book about exotic plants and Harry a homemade fleece blanket. Fred and George gave the boys very large packages. Neither present was opened because the boxes growled dangerously every time someone came near them. Luna gave Neville a beautiful silver pocket watch that had his name engraved on the back, and Harry a lifetime subscription to the Quibbler. Ron gave both of his friends a large collection of chocolate frogs and a game of Exploding Snap. Lastly, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley gave the young men gift certificates to Madam Malkin’s so they could get new robes in Diagon Alley.

It had been decided that Neville and Harry would go to the Ministry to take their Apparition tests with Mr. Weasley. After they finished opening their gifts, everyone got cleaned up and ready to leave.

Mrs. Weasley, Dora and Hermione went with Ron and the twins to their shop to pick up school things for everyone. Luna and Ginny decided to stay behind because Bill and Fleur were expected home that afternoon. After thanking everyone again for a great birthday, Harry and Neville took the Floo Network with Mr. Weasley for their tests.

By some miracle, the boys both managed to pass the test. While at the Ministry they ran into Percy and Moody, but didn’t stay to talk as they were to meet everyone else in Diagon Alley. Harry was quite anxious to talk with Remus and Dora about the acquisition of the Malfoy estates. He desperately wanted to know if they were able to obtain ownership of the Ravenclaw dagger. Just past noon, Mr. Weasley, Neville, and Harry Apparated to the Leaky Cauldron to meet their friends.

Harry remembered the busy, bustling road that had once been Diagon Alley. Its shops were a gathering place for the whole wizarding world in Harry’s mind. Now the once packed alley was near abandoned. The few shops that remained open were near vacant and the shop owners were suspicious of everyone. A gentle wind picked up from the direction of Knockturn Alley, like the calm before the storm.

Remus and Dora were whispering excitedly to each other outside of Ollivander’s old shop, clearly waiting for them all to arrive.

“We got it, Harry!” Remus whispered to his young friend.

Harry let himself smile; at last things seemed to be falling into place. Harry could see Hermione and Mrs. Weasley in the distance; they were slowly making their way toward them. Ron had been sidetracked because he saw that Quality Quidditch Supplies were selling Chudley Cannons season tickets. Though he was able to refrain from actually going in the store, he still stood at the window trying not to drool.

“We got all our school supplies, Harry, and yours of course,” Hermione said, as she and Mrs. Weasley approached him.

“Where are the twins?” Neville asked, as he took some parcels from Mrs. Weasley.

“Oh, they went to visit Lee Jordan. They will be back for dinner.”

Harry gazed down the barren streets. Gringotts stood in the distance as intimidating as it always had. The absence of hundreds of people pushing through the narrow walks was almost unnerving. Harry and Neville quickly popped in and out of Madam Malkin’s to be measured. She assured them that the robes would be sent to them in less than a week. Neville asked her to send them to his grandmother, seeing as they couldn’t divulge that they were staying at Grimmauld Place.

As they pushed their way back onto the empty street, Harry couldn’t shake an evil sense of foreboding. Perhaps it was his close proximity to the Horcrux, but Dora had shielded it. Harry looked to Remus and Dora who were clutching their left hands tightly.

“Something is wrong! This damn Indicator keeps zapping me! Maybe the spell is bad!” Remus howled, as his wife fidgeted similarly.

Harry looked down the street. Mrs. Weasley and Mr. Weasley were strolling with each other hand in hand. Ron was watching the Lupins with interest, but Hermione was staring intently at Harry. He didn’t know how he knew, but Harry knew Hermione felt that same moment of dread.

Time quickly came to a slow crawl. Harry saw the dark hooded figures approaching them from the end of the Alley. Their jet black robes billowed behind them as they charged toward him. The few people that were not with Harry and his friends scattered into the shops, and slammed the doors behind them. There were only five Death Eaters, but one is deadly enough. He screamed at Dora to get the Aurors. One of the Death Eaters fired a shot and hit Ron directly in the neck; he fell to the ground instantly. Hermione ran to his collapsed body and stood over him with her wand out. Neville and Harry could see that Lucius Malfoy had lost his hood and was dueling with Mr. and Mrs. Weasley. Bellatrix Lestrange lowered her hood, with a sinister smile, as she slowly made her way to Harry and Neville. This time however, two other figures were with her.

They both shot spells at their three attackers. Harry waved his wand several times, rapidly firing hexes and curses at Lestrange. Neville hadn’t panicked, in fact he had nearly disarmed Bellatrix causing her to howl in frustration. At one point, they both hit the man standing to their left. Neither Harry nor Neville realized they had shot at him at the same time. The Death Eater clutched his stomach as he was enveloped in pain, whimpering and dying he slumped to the ground. Bellatrix screamed and ripped the hood off the fallen man’s face. She continued to throw deadly curses at Harry and Neville but it was evident that she was suffering mentally at the sudden death of her colleague. Harry barely had time to register that the dead Death Eater was Rodolphus Lestrange, her husband. The third Death Eater continued to duel with Harry as Bellatrix fired at Neville. She was able to hit Neville with the Cruciatus Curse but she couldn’t hold it very long. Neville weakly pulled himself to his feet, as Harry disarmed the unknown Death Eater. The man leapt behind Bellatrix as she again fired the Cruciatus Curse at Harry. When Harry jumped away from her spell, she summoned the man’s wand back to him and he took position to continue fighting.

At this time, Dora returned with six Aurors. The Aurors jumped into battle, three ran to help Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, who were brilliantly fighting against Lucius Malfoy, while two ran to check on Ron. He was still unconscious and Hermione had clamped a hand over his neck to yield his bleeding. One of the Aurors joined Harry and Neville to fight Bellatrix and the other Death Eater. Harry and Neville could finally see the whole of the battle on Diagon Alley. Dora was dueling Greyback alongside Remus. Harry pulled away from his battle along side Neville so he could go aid the Lupins but Bellatrix got him in the back with a Full Body Bind curse. He slammed face first into the cold, hard gravel of Diagon Alley. Greyback, along with his wand, carried a very deadly looking sword and was swinging it with grace. The blade was huge and jagged. Harry watched in horror as Remus was cursed and fell to the ground. Dora tried to fend Greyback off but he disarmed her and had stabbed her in the lower abdomen less than a moment later. Harry tried to break out of the bind to chase after Greyback as he leapt in to battle next to Malfoy, but just as the Neville threw the counter-curse at him, someone caught him by his arm.

Neville and the Auror that had taken up the duel with the Lestranges were winning the battle, but losing their opponents. Malfoy had thrown Mr. Weasley into the yellow brick wall of a building and was now dueling with Mrs. Weasley alone. Arthur Weasley weakly pulled himself back to his feet just as Malfoy shot the Cruciatus at Mrs. Weasley. She screamed the most bone chilling scream any man had ever heard as Arthur tried to fight Malfoy off of her. Bellatrix was able to make it to Malfoy’s side before they Disapparated; Greyback was able to rush forward, fight the Aurors away and collect the masked Death Eater before he too disappeared.

Neville ran to help Hermione, who was still standing but now desperately trying to wake Ron. His breathing was ragged and shallow. Her hands were stained with the red-brown hue of his blood. Ron looked extremely pale and Harry tried to fight his way out of the grip of whoever still held his arm. Hermione knelt by Ron with her eyes flooded with tears and grasped his hands. She looked up only for a moment, to catch Harry’s eye. He nodded just before she Disapparated with a thunderous ‘crack!’ Two Aurors were to another yelling that Remus and Dora were alive but only just. Harry could hear them bellowing to each other but couldn’t see them; his eyes were fixed upon a grim image just outside the weathered door of Ollivander's. Mrs. Weasley crying softly and gently petting the thinning hair of her husband. Mr. Weasley’s head lay in her lap. A soft trail of blood was streaming from his left ear and his once bright eyes were hidden by a furrowed and sweaty brow. He had died.

~*~*~*~*~*~
A/N: Only reviews will make me happy. I have the most wonderful betas in the world, just so you know.
Terrible Tombs by peskypetunia
Disclaimer: She rich. Me not.

Chapter Eight
Terrible Tombs

Harry sat in silence at St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries. Moody and Kingsley had come to fight in the Alley, but Harry had not recognized them until it was over. Dora had lost a lot of blood and was still unconscious; apparently the sword responsible for her injuries had been tipped in poison. Remus was awake, but very weak. Moody had said that werewolves were too stubborn to die, Harry silently agreed. Dora and Remus shared a room down the hall from Ron.

Hermione and Mrs. Weasley were holding on to Ron for dear life. He had his own room; it was stale and the walls were a bleak grey. Harry watched Hermione nod as the Healers explained his condition to Molly. She gently rested her right hand on his as she brushed back his bangs off his forehead. The Healers were able to determine that the spell had rendered him mute, but also done damage to his trachea. Ron was currently unable to breathe by his own accord. He would likely survive, but it wasn’t certain if he would ever speak again.

Mrs. Weasley was devastated by the loss of her husband, but refused to leave Ron. Harry knew that Hermione would take care of the both of them. Harry was numb. His best friend and first real friend in the wizarding world had been mauled. Ron had always been so jovial and carefree. Harry had always admired that, but what would this do to his best friend? Would Ron become bitter and angry like Harry had after the Tri-Wizard Tournament? Would he seclude himself from his friends and family? Questions and dilemmas swam in Harry’s mind as he prepared to leave. He wasn’t sure how he knew, but Harry knew the face Hermione wore as she vanished with Ron from Diagon Alley would haunt him to the grave.

At one minute past five, they arrived in the kitchen. Neville quickly said he wanted a word with Luna and took her into the living room.

“Are Bill and Fleur back, Ginny?” Moody asked as pleasantly as he could.

“They’re upstairs unpacking, what’s wrong? Where is everyone else?” Harry could hear the worry in her voice.

“Moody, go to Bill.” Harry had insisted that he would be the one to tell Ginny.

She was wearing a soft yellow sweater with her hair down. He could smell something wonderful brewing in the oven. She had already set the table for dinner.

“Ginny, there was a battle today.”

“Harry…” Her voice was immediately strained with fear.

He glided over to her. Ginny was frightened and her eyes were watering. Harry laced his hands into hers trying to siphon some of the pain out of her.

“Just tell me, please,” she whispered, barely audible as she looked away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Death in Diagon Alley!

Harry Potter and his friends have been at it again. Yesterday, they descended upon the London street in order to prepare for the upcoming school year. Upon meeting up with his friends after successfully passing his Apparation exam, he and his friends were attacked by Death Eaters. Though the Aurors were summoned by Auror N. (Tonks) Lupin, they did not arrive in time. Mr. Arthur Weasley, of Ottery St. Catchpole, was killed by Lucius Malfoy. It is presently unclear how Malfoy and his comrades escaped from Azkaban, but it is likely that You-Know-Who was the mastermind to this attack. Potter also reports that Auror Lupin, Remus Lupin, and Ronald Weasley were severely injured. We, at the Daily Prophet, extend our most sincere sympathies to the Weasley family for their loss.

Rita Skeeter
Press Agent to Harry Potter

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry looked up from the brief article and smiled to himself. The article was simple and didn’t have any outlandish claims about Harry Potter the Boy Who Lived. Skeeter had kept up her part of the deal.

“My dear, Harry! It is good to see you again. You can’t imagine how shocked I was when I got that little bossy boots’ owl. You are looking for a press agent?” Rita went in for the kill before he could even say ‘hello’.

“My brilliant friend was right. I need someone who will tell our truth as we report it. I want someone who will tell what is really happening, my point of view. I will tell you the story; you will report it. Hermione will also check to make sure you don’t write any of that rubbish from before. Just like when we did the article for the Quibbler. Got it? I will tell you the truth and you can publish it as long as you swear to write exactly what we say you can. Understand?

Rita looked torn. Her sensational stories sold better than all the rest, but Harry Potter stories sold even better.

“I promise to keep my quill in check if you promise not to give out any stories, except to me of course,” she added with a girlish grin.

When it was done Harry felt slightly relieved. Rita was behaving and keeping other reporters away from him, and the truth was getting out there.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The funeral took place only two days later. Bill took care of most of the arrangements while Molly and Hermione kept to Ron. He was pulling through, though the spell had done severe damage to his throat. He was breathing on his own again and was conscious, but he couldn’t speak. Hermione only left him to return to Grimmauld Place at night and accompanied him home the day of the funeral.

The funeral was held at the Weasley family cemetery. A large tree grew over the plot where Mr. Weasley was to finally rest. It was evident that this sacred place was ancient. Moss and weeds overran the petite cemetery and a rusted rod iron fence inclined over the property line. Wild flowers and tall grass danced between the stone markers and Harry was cold despite the August sun. Mr. Weasley’s tomb was simple, but tasteful. A concrete slab was laid over his body and a dark grey marker indicated the man he was:

Arthur Weasley
Happier than most rich men in our world
Loved and Cherished by the ones who will miss him

Moody said a few words but very few people heard them. Only a few times did his voice crack from the grief. Fleur and Molly sat together and held hands throughout the service. Fleur wept openly but silently. Gentle tears streamed down her generally appealing face. Her red eyes and cheeks tainted her beautiful visage with a human emotion so real and untapped that Harry could not bear to watch her.

Molly just looked exhausted. She clung to those near her but rarely said a word. Her bright and playful eyes were dull and heavy. She did not cry, or yell, or weep. She sat plain and tall, lost because of the new void in her life.

Bill stood behind his mother and wife, with a hand on the shoulder of each woman. He showed no emotion throughout the entire service. His face was frozen in a tight scowl and his features withheld an innocence that was pure and disturbing. Harry watched as Bill stared at the cold slab that withheld the shell of his father’s body; that innocence was lost and Harry could not see any of the vitality that had once rested in Bill’s nature.

Percy stood between the twins with a distant look on his face. Harry had never seen Percy so unkempt. Percy had not managed to comb his hair or shave. A thin moustache was forming over his thin lip. He had folded his arms tightly across his chest and hid his mouth behind his right hand.

Harry watched George wipe tears from his eyes. He was the only of the Weasley men to actually cry. He spent most of the service swaying back and forth and staring at his feet. His hair was rather mussed, like Percy and his face was torn in obvious sadness.

Fred, however, didn’t seem to blink throughout the whole service. Though his eyes were very red, they were very dry. He stared straight ahead, in no particular direction, as his father was laid to rest. Fred had set his jaw and balled his fists, a new determination had been resolved and he looked fierce.

Ginny refused to sit through the service as well as refuse to even look at Harry. Her hair was pulled back in a tight bun and she looked very intimidating. She wore a dangerous face that clearly indicated that this was the last place she wanted to be. Of course, this was the last place they all wanted to be. She hovered next to Charlie who’s typically ornery attitude was now long and sallow.

Hermione cried heavily throughout the service but did not make a sound. She wove a hand behind Ron’s back to help support him. Ron stood, stone faced throughout the day. Harry could tell that as much as Hermione was supporting Ron, Ron was supporting Hermione. Ron was pale and tired; his sadness was evident but not nearly as much as desperation. Harry could see how badly Ron wanted this just to be a terrible nightmare.

The whole service seemed to pass in a blur and before Harry realized it, they were back at Grimmauld Place. When they returned, Ginny stormed up to her and Hermione’s room and hastily slammed the door. Bill moved to make a cup of tea for his mother and Percy was helping Hermione prop Ron up on the sofa. The twins had mysteriously disappeared. It was the first time Harry could remember being with the Weasleys and not feeling like he was home.

Grimmauld Place was as dreary as it had always been, despite the new coat of paint here and there; the house was cold and desolate. Harry felt like he was lost and would never be found. He couldn’t stand the fact that there was nothing he could do to make anybody feel better.

“Harry,” Moody growled, “You and I are going to get Remus out of St. Mungo’s. I don’t know about you, sonny, but I need to get out of here. Arthur was a great friend of mine, he would rather we remember him with a pint and laughing, than all this grief.”

Harry looked up at the stairs to where Ginny had just been and down the hall to where Bill had ushered his mother into the kitchen.

“Some cry, some pull it in, and others get mad. Bill has pulled all that emotion into himself because he has to be the strong one. Ginny got mad. You never get used to telling people that kind of thing. She is going to hate you for a while, but then she will realize that you were only the messenger. I almost pity the man on the day she runs across Lucius Malfoy.” With that Moody clamped a mangled hand onto Harry’s left shoulder and pushed him back out the front door.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Remus was waiting for Moody and Harry as they strolled into the room at St. Mungo’s. He was dressed and ready to be discharged. Remus was leaning over Dora and whispering gently to her as her eyes flickered open and close.

“Glad to see you are doing so much better,” Moody said, as he patted Remus’ back.

“I’m just glad she is going to pull through. She finally awoke only an hour ago. I told her everything that happened. She asked for Kingsley though; the Healers said she will likely need to stay until the end of the week. Get your rest sweetheart, I will see you when I get back from Scotland. I love you.” Remus gave a weak smile and places a gentle kiss on the palm of her left hand. He collected his jacket and led Harry out of the room.

“Why are you going to Scotland?” Harry asked almost wearily.

“Oh, the full moon is tomorrow night. I’m staying with Kingsley tonight and then he will help me get to the Shrieking Shack for my transformation. The Healers think it unwise for me to use Wolfsbane Potion, it might slow my recovery. Its days like this I miss Sirius and your dad. I could use someone to help me through my transformations…” he trailed off.

“You boys fancy a drink? I know I sure as hell could use one right now.” Remus nodded and Harry followed them out of the hospital and into the nearest pub.


A/N: Not dead. Please review. Love my betas oh so very much!
Not everyone gets what they want on their birthday by peskypetunia
Disclaimer: Yeah, right.

Chapter Nine
Not Everyone Gets What They Want on Their Birthday

Harry dragged Hermione away from Ron to go visit Dora a few times before she was finally released. The Healers said that she was to get plenty of rest and to stay in bed as much as possible. When Remus took her home she could walk a little but was hunched over and had to clutch her stomach. Though it was slow, she was recovering and had begun to joke about the trials of being doted upon by her adoring husband. Remus only laughed and pointed out that if she got too demanding, it was likely he would slip her some sleeping potion. Hermione scowled at the thought of Moony drugging his wife, but Harry couldn’t help but suppress a snort.

“Moony doesn’t have trouble getting the woman into his bed; he just has to drug them to keep them there!” Harry quipped as he lifted his teacup to his lips. Even Hermione couldn’t suppress a shameful giggle, considering Dora was howling in laughter.

Remus looked at Harry quizzically for a moment and then grabbed Harry firmly by the head.

“Sirius! I love you! You were my best friend! But you’re gone now! I miss you, but please leave poor Harry alone!!!” Remus yelled while shaking Harry’s head.

Both men pulled away laughing harder than before. They collapsed onto the sofa together trying to wrestle, but soon yielded as Hermione slammed a down pillow across Harry’s jaw. Neither Harry nor Hermione could remember laughing, let alone smiling since before Mr. Weasley died. It was only a week ago, after all, and when they returned to Grimmauld Place with the rest of the Weasleys, they regained a sober composure in order to maintain respect.

As they drank a last cup of tea, Kingsley walked in with a surprisingly bouncy gait. An evil grin passed his lips and he glared at Harry.

“I didn’t do it?” Harry hoped.

“That’s right you didn’t. I just came from checking up on a particularly sweet Aunt of yours and she mentioned that you haven’t managed to write in the past month. What would happen if you suddenly stopped writing the Weasleys?”

“Bad things…Gred, Forge, and a particularly nasty Bat-Bogey Hex.” Harry choked out playfully.

“And the fact that she can’t magic your arse from here to kingdom come means?” Kingsley continued.

“That if I don’t write her soon, you will do it for her?”

“I always knew you were a smart boy.” And Kingsley smiled a malicious smirk while Hermione rolled her eyes.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

A few more days passed and it was again a time of celebration. Ginny was turning sixteen. The morning of her birthday had been the first in which someone did not have to pry her out of her bedroom. Hermione secretly suspected that Molly had bribed her to cooperate for the sake of her brothers, but doubted if Ginny even cared that she was turning another year older.

Nobody dared prank her as they had Neville and Harry, instead everyone gathered at breakfast for a hearty meal before the day’s activities. Each of her brothers kissed her cheek and wished her a good day before running off to work or wherever they had to be. Fleur promised to bake a wonderful chocolate cake for dinner that night after a tight embrace. Hermione gave her a quick peck on the cheek before helping Ron up to the library to rest.

Mrs. Weasley began clearing up in the kitchen as Harry and Ginny moved into the living room. She pulled herself down to the rug and stared at the painting Lily had painted. Harry stared at Ginny with a sad heart. She was so close to him and yet so distant.

“Ginny, I…” he began but she cut him off.

“Harry, look, I know this hasn’t been easy for you. We all see you as part of the family, but please don’t say ‘I’m sorry’ or whatever else you were about to say for that matter. I know I’m not really mad at you, but you can not know how hard it is for me to be around you right now.” Ginny stood as if ready to run away.

“What?! Why is it hard for you to be around me?” Harry was baffled.

“Harry, the thing I want most in the entire world, is for you to hold me. I want you to tell me that it is going to be alright, that you will always be there for me and that you need me as much as I need you.” She hissed in a deadly whisper.

“I never thought I would see the day when I was jealous of Harry effing Potter! You lost both your parents, but you don’t remember them! You didn’t know what you dad’s lips felt like on your forehead as he came in to tuck you in! You don’t remember if your mum would hum a lullaby to you! I can still smell his cologne in his jackets. You don’t hear Mum sniff at night because she hasn’t slept alone in almost thirty years! I wish I didn’t remember him so I wouldn’t know how much it hurts! And you! You won’t let anyone in, to be close to you, to care about you. I just…” but she stopped.

Harry saw her tears were collecting and ready to betray her. Before he could say anything she just turned on her heal and ran away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ginny and Harry hadn’t spoken in weeks. Every time he entered a room she was in, she would stand and leave. She never looked at him; she never smiled or laughed. She wanted out of Grimmauld Place and as far away from Harry Potter as she could manage. By the end of August both Harry and Ginny looked exceptionally excited to return to Hogwarts. They both needed an escape.

Harry piled the last of his possessions into his trunk as a bright red feather fell out from a crumpled shirt on top. Harry vividly remembered the Awakening. Harry remembered carrying Ginny’s pale and tired form. He remembered all the things Aunt Petunia shared with him over the next few days. Harry and his relatives were finally beginning to make some sort of reconcilement and he had completely pushed them out of his mind. Granted, with Mr. Weasley’s death it was to be expected, but Harry felt abysmal. Harry’s first letter had been difficult.

Aunt Petunia,
I am well and safe at the moment. I don’t know if you remember him, but Arthur Weasley died in a surprise attack on my birthday. He is Ginny’s and Ron’s dad. This summer feels like it has been randomly pieced together and I already find it confusing to look back on it. How did I get from being the boy who lived with his Muggle relatives to the “Chosen One?” Ron was injured in the attack and can no longer speak. Dora was injured as well but she is already showing signs of improvement.

Ginny is furious with me. Moody says that it is because I was the one who told her about her father dying. I think that it is because she and I both want a relationship that we simply can’t have right now. Voldemort is never out of my thoughts and I don’t know how I’m going to survive to the end of this war. Maybe my teenage-angst is taking over but sometimes I just wish I could runaway to some beach and have a picnic with my friends.

Sorry to unload all of this on you. I hope you and Dudley are well. Give him my best.
Harry


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ron was doing much better. Though he still couldn’t speak, he and Hermione seemed to have their own language already. She always knew what he was going to ask for just before he pointed and Harry couldn’t help but wonder how she sometimes knew he needed her, even if he was three rooms away. At the moment he and Hermione were at the front of the train with the other prefects.

Harry and Neville sat quietly rocking with the train as they headed to Hogwarts for the last time, while Luna was looking through the latest edition of the Quibbler. The very instant they stepped onto the platform; Ginny disappeared with Colin towards the front of the train. She still hadn’t spoken to Harry since that night. He was simply at a loss with her. He knew he loved her and wished he could reach out to her in the way that she needed and wanted, but he was determined to protect her.

He stared out the window, barely noticing his own reflection in the glass. He had heard her scream out again last night. Ever since her birthday, he had been hearing her cry and call out in her dreams. She was having terrifying nightmares again and Harry knew that there was nothing he could do for her.

Neville left Harry to his pondering for the bulk of the trip. Harry didn’t even move when the kind woman with the trolley passed by. Neville simply read and let Luna doze on his shoulder. It wasn’t until the sun had just set that Harry saw a soft ivory wisp gently gliding to him. Her wings stretched elegantly as she darted down a green hill and parallel to the train. Harry watched her aim and reach his window just as he found his feet and he opened the latch. Hedwig softly drifted to Luna’s knee and began to preen her feathers as Harry drew the small package off of her leg. He opened the small brown parcel and smiled at the contents.

Inside he saw two letters, a large quantity of muffins, chocolates, and a plain brown envelope. Inside the envelope were pictures of two small children. One of the little girls had white-blonde hair while the other’s was defiantly auburn.

Dear Harry,
I am sorry I have not been able to give you a better birthday present before but congratulations all the same. I thought you may like some treats as you start back at school. Please send my deepest regards to the Weasleys and inform Molly that I hope we can get together over the holidays. I was very saddened to hear that you and Ginny are having a bit of a rough patch. That seems to be a theme throughout our family this week.

Vernon is most unhappy about the fact that Remus and Alastor continually show up to check on us. I finally had to ask them to quit coming. I must say I am disappointed at that. I miss having people to talk with; my friends have begun gossiping about Dudley and the strange little girl he runs with. Apparently he and Hagar managed to have a spectacular argument and it spread through the neighborhood like wild fire. I suddenly regret every shred of gossip I spread. I have stopped by Mrs. Figg’s recently. She is helping me get used to some of your wizardisms. Every once in a while you or Remus would say something and I get confused. She has been most patient with me, especially when I asked her to explain what a Dementor is and does.

Dudley was very happy to return to school because of his spat with Hagar. I’m not entirely sure what it was about, but I do know that some how she managed to call him a violent bully, and smacked him rather hard. Perhaps this break will help him focus more on his studies.

But back to you and Ginny, you know, she really is like Lily. When Lily was about five, I had to tell her that our neighbor accidentally ran over our cat, Toad. Why we named it that I will never know, but it was her cat. Shortly after that conversation, my hair fell off. All of it, eyebrows, everything was gone. That was the first time she demonstrated magic, well that I noticed anyhow, and that was the last time I agreed to be the bearer of bad news to Lily Evans. We were children then and eventually she moved past it. Ginny will to, give her time. I thought that since we are trying to work out this family thing, it might be nice if I gave you some pictures of your mother. Believe it or not I’m the red-head. Somewhere around age nine, I told her I was jealous of her golden locks and she mentioned that she liked my red hair. We woke up the next morning and it had switched. We never bothered to change it back.

Alastor just contacted me and he said that Hedwig was spotted coming this way and wanted to know if everything is alright. You may not want to use her to contact me anymore since she is so easily spotted, he says. I don’t know how we can keep in contact with out her but maybe you could borrow a friend’s owl? I would rather like one; I was always fond of birds. Maybe that is what I will do…I will ask Alastor or Remus to get me my own bird so that I don’t have to wait for you to write to me. Oh, but then there is Vernon. You know, I know that you and I were never close but somehow I have managed to write you the longest letter I have ever penned. I hope you are well.
Aunt Petunia


Harry had to agree with her. They had never been close and yet that was one of the best letters he ever received. It made him feel like he actually had someone who missed him. The feeling was so foreign to him that he didn’t even realize that Hogwarts was coming into view. Only when Hedwig nipped his ear did he look up and realize that Neville had changed into his robes. Harry followed suit and soon was helping Hermione pull Ron into a carriage.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Welcome back all of you! I am proud to announce that Miss Hermione Granger and Mr. Ronald Weasley are the new Head Boy and Girl. We have a few new additions from last year. Our gamekeeper and professor of Care of Magical Creatures, Hagrid, has been named the new Head of Gryffindor house. Professor Slughorn has retained his position as Potions Master and Head of Slytherin. I would also like to introduce the new Defense Against the Dark Arts professor, Mr. Percy Weasely. With that said, let’s enjoy the feast!” Headmistress McGonagall stated.

Harry saw an all too familiar fire flame behind Ron’s eyes. Hermione caught it too and threaded her wrist into the crook of his elbow as she whispered something to Ron. He smiled and gently patted her hand before returning his gaze to the Head table. Ginny sat with Colin a few feet away and she only dipped her head onto Colin’s shoulder as he whispered something to her. Whatever it had been must have entertained him, because he forced down a hearty laugh and smiled at her. He pinched her nose and she giggled. Harry sat memorized by her actions and couldn’t help but feel the slightest twinge of jealousy toward Colin, but it was soon forgotten as the most appetizing Shepard’s pie appeared. Harry and the rest of the school ate until they were blissfully stuffed and McGonagall began to speak again.

“We will have a new Transfiguration teacher as well; however he recently had a death in the family and will not be coming to Hogwarts until next week. During that time I will be introducing the subject matter and following his lessons until he returns. Do not forget that I need to see all graduating seventh year students who participated in the original ‘D.A.’ That meeting will be in the Great Hall immediately after tonight’s feast. The forest is strictly forbidden and curfew will be strictly adhered to. I hope you all enjoy your first night back. Thank you and goodnight.”

The handful of seventh years moved up to the front of the Hall while the rest of the school dispersed to their respective hallways and corridors, and waited for the Headmistress to begin. Harry had nearly forgotten the deal he made with her about the work-study.

“Well as you all know you are being offered the opportunity to begin practical experience in the career you would like to enter. I have been working diligently to assign you to a wizard who is working in the field of your choice. Mr. Longbottom, you will be assigned to Professor Sprout. She expecting you to meet her presently; you are excused. Mr. Weasley, Miss Abbott, Mr. Thomas, Mr. Finnegan, and Mr. Potter, your Auror training will begin Thursday after dinner in the Room of Requirement. Miss Granger and Miss Bones you are going to be working in the Hospital Wing with Madame Pomfrey. Since you both have Tuesday mornings without classes, you should meet her at that time. The rest of you will be working with Professor Weasley and another attaché from the Ministry. If any of you have questions or problems, please come and see me. Mr. Potter if you would kindly wait after, I wish to speak with you. The rest of you are excused to your dormitories.” McGonagall gestured for Harry to approach her as she ended her speech and sent his classmates to bed.

Harry watched Ron lean on Hermione as he hoisted his thin frame up and out into the hall. He silently followed the Headmistress to the familiar stairwell that lead to the office of the Headmaster.

“Elizabeth Bennet,” she said clearly as they reached the statue and Harry made a quick mental note to remember her password.

As McGonagall led him into the room, he couldn’t help but recognize the significant change in the office. There was no more clutter, no trinkets or bobbles for him to examine quizzically. In fact all that remained were the Headmaster’s desk and the portraits. The room seemed considerably larger. Harry could see a small den just past the entrance, curiosity getting the better of him; he gazed inside and was perplexed by the sight before him. Ginny sat on a small sofa twisting a golden feather in her hand.

“Oh, hello Harry, you just missed some old friends of ours. Fawkes was just here and so was Voerlute. I’m not sure where the others were, but Voerlute gave me a tail feather. That means she is chose me to be her owner. I’m so excited. I’ve always loved Fawkes! Now, I will have my own.” Her voice was strangely forced and she never looked at him.

She twisted the feather in her finger and lazily looked up at McGonagall.

“I’m sorry, headmistress. I got carried away. Why did you ask to see me?” She questioned in a monotone voice.

“Well, Miss Weasley, I’m sure you are aware that you have been having nightmares. Mr. Potter and you are going to be training together to try and prevent that. Albus left specific instructions to me to have Mr. Potter and yourself study Occlumency. Now, I am not particularly certain why he wished you to learn it, my dear, but I learned long ago that Dumbledore was crazy, not stupid. Whatever his reasons are you will both begin your lessons on Saturday mornings.” McGonagall was never terribly warm but she did have a certain hint of humor in her voice.

Almost as though she knew they would not be happy about the scenario. Ginny stared fixatedly at her feather while Harry stuffed his hands in his pockets and silently prayed for this to be some fantastic joke, but the headmistress continued.

“…from what I understand your tutor will be here on Saturday. You will be working in the Founder’s Suite, which is down the hall from my office and through the portrait of the Irish Castle. Do you know where I’m talking about?” Both Ginny and Harry had glazed looks on their faces but nodded all the same.

“Well, I think it is best we get to bed. Classes begin in the morning after all. Goodnight professor,” remarked Ginny as she eased off her sofa and past Harry.

Harry followed her. She had finally spoken to him. He couldn’t remember feeling so elated and destroyed. She could talk to him without crying or screaming, but she wouldn’t look him in the face. Harry was at a loss for words and the two walked silently back to the familiar Gryffindor Tower.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry heard the familiar snores emanating from Neville’s bed as he reached his own four-poster. Dean and Seamus were whispering to each other and the room felt oddly empty with Ron in the Head Boy Suite. He was just pulling off his boots when the Head Boy himself appeared in the doorway. Ron motioned to Harry to follow him and they wandered back down to the Common Room.

Ron handed Harry a letter, which he recognized as one that had been sent in the package from Aunt Petunia. Harry looked up at Ron, but the words ‘Neville said you dropped it’ blazed above his head. Harry shuddered involuntarily as he remembered how Tom Riddle used the same technique to reveal his alter ego, Lord Voldemort, to him in the Chamber of Secrets. Harry pushed those thoughts from his mind and tried to talk to his best friend.

“How are you feeling?” Harry questioned.

Ron rolled his eyes and crossed his arms moodily.

“Ah, I see you are sick of people asking you that. Well, if it makes you feel any better, I just found out that my Occlumency lessons are starting back up. I should feel like hell shortly.”

Ron just stared at Harry for a moment.

“The best part is Ginny is doing it as well. Apparently it was Dumbledore’s idea. Have you figured out how you are going to train as an Auror and do classes without your ability to speak?”

Ron nodded and motioned that someone shorter than him had made a potion that would help his throat and that two identical people had some kind of pill.

“Well the two must be the twins and the short potion maker…Slughorn?” Harry guessed.

Ron smiled and pointed to the boys’ dormitories.

“Whatever you say Big-Head…Boy.” Harry laughed and ran up the stairs with his letter in hand.

A/N: So please oh please tell me what you think! I really need the reviews!
And so it goes... by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please have the lovely Ravensgryff moderate. In this chapter Harry has something to say and the staff is finally complete.
Chapter Ten
And so it goes…

Classes had been rather heinous on their first day back. Each teacher took plenty of time to remind the seventh year students that it was the N.E.W.T. year and they “had to work extra hard.” Ron would have groaned but remembered that he would at least have the practical Auror training to break up the work.

Flitwick began his class with a review and informed them that he was hoping to see non-verbal mastery of most nonverbal-basic charms, and that he hoped to see them move on to more complex charms quickly. McGonagall had said something similar on behalf of the new teacher. It was quite odd, but she was being rather tight lipped about who the new professor was.

Though there was an existing peace between him and his brothers, Percy looked slightly intimidated when Ron entered his classroom for the first time. Ron looked him straight in the eye and sat at the very front of the class.

“Well, class, I know a good many of you, some of you quite well. Because of this, I would like you all to call me Percy. Now, Headmistress McGonagall does not favor this particular request mine, so if you choose to call me Percy, please do so within our class. As for defense, there are a lot of things that we need to cover. There is the magical aspect to it, and we will be very thorough in our lessons concerning spells and techniques that can help you fend off an attack. However, with the threat of Voldemort and the looming attacks, I want you to feel comfortable to talk in this class. There may be times when a classmate, friend, or even me, may have a hard time dealing with the effects of war. For example, losses are a large part of war. As you may already know, my father was killed over the summer in an attack on Diagon Alley. My youngest brother was attacked as well,” his eyes shone proudly over Ron for a brief moment. “Last year my eldest brother was attacked, and I can’t count how many times a good family friend has been in danger with the Death Eaters.”

Percy let the class relax and smile at his words. He knew that he would be able to keep their attention with homework and tests, but he needed them to trust him. Harry raised an eyebrow at Hermione and Ron, as they listened to his opening speech. He knew that they were thinking about all the times that Ron complained about how much Percy liked to listen to his own voice, but the were suddenly quite grateful for his practice.

The class eventually began discussing various attacks that they had heard about, read about, or been in. They all learned about someone that had been lost by each member of the class. This war was devastating and deadly, yet it was bringing this group closer together. As the last minutes of class ticked away, Percy assigned everyone to begin a journal to help them deal with the threat of danger in their world and told them to review as many defensive spells as they could, for the next lesson would be a practical lesson. Though Ron could not voice his opinion, it was plainly evident that he felt the lesson was quite good.

Hermione was beside herself when Slughorn assigned a two foot essay due Wednesday on a review of a potion they had discussed last term. Though Ron and Harry rolled their eyes, they knew her brilliance would save them at some point this year. Of course, she had the essay finished before dinner and was currently in the library. She had chosen to skive off dinner in order to read up on basic healing and first aid spells. Harry suspected that Ron would have to drag her out of the library to do their final rounds tonight. He let himself ponder as Ron scribbled a new line to the note they had been passing between them during dinner.

“Harry, the twins have a new product the want to test on me. Its called “Said-Head.” Basically a cartoon text bubble appears above your head and it prints what you are wishing to say. It is supposed to be funny and get people to admit things that they wouldn’t normally say. I guess it could be quite dangerous, but they said this is one of those few products they are not distributing to the public. Said they made it just for me.

Ron, that’s great that you won’t have to mime everything you want to say now. I would stay away from Hermione though, if you have taken it though.

Funny Harry.

Handsome too.

Harry’s thoughts were interrupted as Neville approached and sat down heavily next to Ron and Seamus.

“Harry, this was on the floor in the dormitory, you must have dropped it.” Neville said simply as he passed Harry his forgotten letter.

“Thanks, Neville, I must have,” Harry answered back as he opened the note. He vaguely noticed that Ron had returned to feeding himself Harry he tried to make out an unfamiliar scrawl.

Harry,
Mum mentioned that she was sending you something for your birthday, and told me to write a note sending my regards. I don’t know if Mum mentioned it, but Hagar dumped me flat. Mum and Dad had a huge row as well, and I was right pissy because Dad took it out on me, since you’re at that “freak” school. Well, I got mad and took it out on her and she just screamed bloody murder at me. I’m apparently a damn fool to not appreciate family, a cousin I could love as a brother, and some other nonsense. She also mentioned that Hermione was a pleasure and that if I had any sense, which she sincerely doubted, I would “heal the breech” between us because my father was a damned fool for not appreciating what he has and I’m bound to turn out like him.

I know that you and I haven’t gotten this whole “family” thing down yet, but considering the hell I put you through the past few years, I thought you would like to know that a mere waif of a blonde has securely put me in my place. Hope you had a good birthday. Write if you can, better yet, find a way where Dad won’t find out about your owl coming and going.

Dudley.

Harry silently thanked Hagar for defending him as he headed back to the Common Room, but also wondering why she would bother, as they had never met, prior to a short encounter over the summer. After he had retrieved his bag from his dorm, and he sat in his favorite chair by the fire. He penned a quick return to Dudley’s letter, sending out sympathies and informing him of his plight with Ginny, and then went to work on his Potions essay.

Harry didn’t pay much attention to the bustling Common Room as the night waned. At some point he must have dozed off, because around midnight, Ginny and Colin woke him up. Colin helped him collect his books while Ginny just glided up the stairs to her dormitory.

“She’s gorgeous, huh Harry?”

“Yeah, Colin, she’s a dream. So, you and her?” Harry regretfully asked.

“At the moment, just really good friends. If that were to change though, would it bother you? I know you and her had a thing last year.”

“No, Colin, if you can make her happy, I won’t hold it against you.” Harry whispered with a very heavy heart.

Colin just smirked, an odd little smile and said, “Goodnight!”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione had not stopped since Tuesday morning with Susan. They were seen everywhere together. Harry and Ron had to ask Madame Pomfrey to levitate the girls out of the hospital wing so that they would eat at least once a day. Hermione wasn’t talking to Ron because of this, but that didn’t matter. Harry could not help but notice the violent change that had taken place between Ron and Hermione. He thought back to those tender moments that were lost over the summer. He remembered watching them sleep at Kingsley’s house. They were so innocent at showing their affection toward one another, so blinded by sheer stupidity, now they were hardly recognizable. Ron would carry her books for her; she would straighten his tie. They both saw the change in themselves but absolutely refused to acknowledge it to each other.

It was nice to see Hermione spending time with someone other than Harry and Ron. Ginny was so closed off lately, not only to him, that it was refreshing to see Hermione laughing with Susan. A few times, Harry and Ron brought sandwiches up to the girls as they worked on their spells and healing charms. Harry would sit and joke with Susan while Hermione pecked at Ron or Ron would tease Hermione. It was sweet and normal and also something he knew that he could enjoy without Voldemort using it against him. Harry was lost in his friends, even if it was only for a few moments a day.

Thursday had been unique to say the least. Kingsley and Dora showed up as the official representatives of the Auror Department. They both talked about themselves and told the students to call them by their first names. Dora put them through a very difficult work out to assess their physical capabilities. Harry could never remember doing so many push-ups, sit-ups, or laps. While they ran, Kingsley made a few notes in a tablet and told them that they should do their own daily calisthenics; if they showed physical aptitude then they would spend more time working on magical defense strategies. Ron looked somewhat worried about how he would defend himself, considering he could not speak, but was informed by Kingsley that they had been talking with St. Mungo’s and Professor Flitwick. Apparently, St. Mungo’s felt that Ron could eventually regain his voice back through various potions, many of which he was already taking. It would be months before they knew, but to err on the side of caution, Professor Flitwick had agreed to tutor Ron on the mastery of non-verbal magic, so that he would not fall behind his fellow Auror candidates. Harry was helping Dora pick up various weights as their session ended and he listened to Kingsley give Ron the run down on his special case.

“Ron, I have seen you in action. I can honestly say that with all that you have already done and what I know you are capable of, the Ministry will not turn you down as an Auror next year, if you can prove that your disability will not affect your ability to defend yourself or others. Keep up with your studies and we’ll see you next week.” Kingsley then gave Ron a hearty pat on the back and ushered the boys out of the Room of Requirement.

Harry could see how nervous Ron had been and how he now walked a little taller. Kingsley had paid Ron a huge compliment and Harry knew Ron would not forget it. He also rather hoped he could get such high praise from Kingsley.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry dreaded the new day as he crawled out of his four-poster bed. Today he was beginning his lessons with Ginny. He didn’t want to continue his Occlumency training but knew that Dumbledore would have pushed him to do it. Harry realized he needed it but was not looking forward to the migraines and the invasion of privacy. As classes flew by, Harry silently wondered why the things you dread seem to be upon you quickly and the things you yearn for take lifetimes to arrive. Before he realized it, the week had gone and he was waiting for Ginny outside the Founders’ Suite.

He gazed at the picture. The old Irish castle seemed to be haunted, but then it probably was. Harry stared intently at the painting and never even heard Ginny come up behind him.

“Some danger to the Dark Lord you are. I stomped the whole way up here, and you didn’t even blink. What’s wrong with you?” Ginny hissed.

“What, oh, nothing, I’m just not looking forward to this particular lesson.” He sighed, “Did McGonagall tell you what the password is?”

“No, I thought you knew,” Ginny bit back.

Harry wasn’t sure why she was being so cold to him, but then again, it was Ginny.

“There is a song, it goes…When Irish Eyes are Smiling,” sang a misty voice from behind them.

Harry let his jaw hang as he stared into the deep eyes of Mr. Ollivander. Ginny rolled her eyes at Harry and pushed past him into the large opening the painting made.

Harry heard Ginny’s breath catch as she stepped into the magnificent room. Mr. Ollivander followed her, and the painting snapped shut behind Harry as he stepped through. Harry was mesmerized. On either side of the painting was a huge torch; together they lit the room completely.

To his right, he saw two huge full body portraits. The first was a man; he had dark features and a sinister brow. His eyes danced playfully though a black asp climbed up his boots and emerald green trousers. Next to him was a stunning woman with beautiful hazel eyes. Her hair was a reddish brown and it hung perfectly about her shoulders. She wore an ancient gown; it was a beautiful honey color that brought vivacity to her cheeks.

To their opposite and Harry’s left were another two portraits. The first was a woman with a silver halo about her dark head. She wore a navy gown that plunged at the neckline. She had icy features and pale lips, which were only accented by her raven hair. Next to her was a man with a lion resting at his feet. This man was dressed similar to the other man; only this one wore a golden cape around his shoulders.

Harry tore his eyes away from the paintings to rush to the sole window in the room. Ginny was already gazing outside of it. The wind beat against the castle at their height. Harry could see Ginny soaking up their vantage point and he drank in the view of Hogsmeade, the grounds, and the forest. They were lost in the view until Mr. Ollivander softly brought them back into their space and began his lesson.

“From what Albus told me, they do not move or speak to the visitors of this room unless they feel very comfortable doing so. They are the founders, but I wouldn’t expect any real conversation.” Mr. Ollivander stated nostalgically as he gestured to the portraits.

“Ginny and Harry,” he continued, “first let us begin our lesson with a few breathing techniques.” Mr. Ollivander began and conjured several large pillows out of thin air.

Ginny and Harry sank into the pillows as they meditated and lost themselves in Mr. Ollivander’s voice. As they drifted in and out of consciousness, they heard simple instructions guiding them to find a safe, secure place. Each time he whispered something, the students would become more relaxed and much more attentive to his voice. It was remarkable the way they could focus on his voice and yet be so physically at ease.

“Well, children, it has been nearly three hours. You need to continue this as often as you can. I am aware that you have Sunday, Monday, and Wednesday evenings off outside of our lesson. I expect you to continue on our lessons on those nights so be sure to get your other school work finished quickly. I can only manage to come on Saturdays so please be responsible. I want you to continue the breathing techniques and for homework. I want you to begin to envision a symbol of strength you have. It can be a person, animal, Hogwarts, anything, but focus on that so that you will learn to train your mind to focus without the sound of my voice. Good work today.” Mr. Ollivander spoke as if he was chatting about the weather; he gave a short bow and glided out of the room without another word to them.

“Well, this is great,” Harry said sardonically.

“Not my dream either, but at least its something to get rid of my nightmares.” Ginny snapped back.

Harry instantly regretted his cold tone and tried to make amends.

“I’m sorry, I just have some other things I need to take care of and didn’t expect the need to devote that much time to Occlumency.”

“Well, I’m sorry but your stuck with me.”

“That’s not what I meant, Ginny, besides what do you care? You’ve been a bloody ice-princess to me for weeks now! You don’t give a damn about what I do anymore do you? You bloody hate me remember? Why don’t you run off and see what Colon is up to?” Harry had tried being patient; he tried being sympathetic; now he was just fed up.

And when he thought he had finally done everything he could do to push her away, he realized he just wanted her more. Ginny watched a fire burn through Harry’s eyes as he screamed his peace at her. There was one moment, when he was done, that they stood in silence. He reached for her, for only a second before she bit her lip and ran.


PLEASE REVIEW! THANK YOU FOR READING!
Round and round and round we go; where we stop nobody knows… by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please Reviews, they make me so happy I update faster!!!
Chapter Eleven
Round and round and round we go; where we stop nobody knows…

Harry had not let himself talk to or be in the general vicinity of Ginny Weasley for two whole hours since he bellowed his entire frustration out at her in the Founders’ Suite. For his part he thought he was doing pretty well, considering he now was mentally thrashing himself. How could he attack her the way he had? Her father just died and he was the one who told her how Lucius Malfoy cut down the man she adored above all her brothers. Apparently, it is difficult not to shoot the messenger sometimes. He let himself slowly wander the castle on his free day, deliberately avoiding those places he knew she would be. He was just coming down from the Owlery when he ran straight into something especially solid.

Having walked into Hagrid many times, Harry knew to stand up and say ‘hello’, but his bad mood and the cranial imprint of Hagrid’s belt buckle were enough to make him snap.

“Dammit!” he swore, without bothering to censor himself.

Had he anticipated some sort of reprimand for his profanity, he would have been sorely disappointed when Hagrid lifted Harry to his feet by his collar and laughed heartily. When Harry realized the situation, he couldn’t suppress his own chuckle.

“Sorry Hagrid, I’ve had a long day. How’ve you been?” He began weakly.

“Oh, jes fine ‘Arry. I was on me way up to the Headmistress’ office; Professor Krum is ‘ere an’ asked if I would fetch ‘er fer ‘im.” Hagrid chortled.

“Krum?!” Harry all but shouted.

“Aye, he’s unpackin’ in ‘is office righ’ now.” With rushed thanks, Harry dashed off to find his fellow former champion.

Harry was nearly out of breath as he approached the Transfiguration classroom. He hesitantly opened the door to see a familiar frame hunched over a desk at the front of the room.

“I guess, now I know why McGonagall was so intent on keeping you a secret.” Harry chirped from the back of the room.

“Iv it isn’t the Vamous ‘Arry Potter? I should have guessed you vould be the virst ov my old vriends to vind me. How are you ‘Arry?” Krum responded as he closed the space between them and shook hands forcefully.

“I am, as to be expected. How are you? I would have thought Hermione to be the first of us to see you; did she not know you were coming?” Harry wondered.

“She knew I vas the new provessor, but I am late in coming…I vas attacked just ven I left to come here. It was a nasty attack and ve lost several goot people.” He cleared his throat nervously telling Harry to not question into that any further.

“She is in the Hospital Wing training, would you like me to tell her you are here…Professor?” Harry smiled innocently.

“That’s Provessor Krum, thank you,” he said smiling with the same sarcastic smile as Harry, “I’m sure she is busy. Tell her I will have tea with her tomorrow afternoon.”

“Of course, professor, I must get going now; so I will leave you to unpack.” Harry and Krum shook hands again before he left the room.

Harry began to ponder innocently why Hermione would hide the fact that Krum was the new professor. Stupidly, he let himself wonder before he realized that she was trying to be sensitive to Ron. He stuffed his hands into his pockets and wandered toward the stairs to the first floor. He was lost thinking about Ron and Hermione again and didn’t notice someone stop directly in front of him. Harry walked instantly into a thin blonde boy. He tried to mumble his apologies but the person simply stood firmly in Harry’s path. The boy was nearly as tall as Harry now, and Colin looked as though he would murder Harry.

“Did you or did you not call her an ‘ice princess?’” He spat through grated teeth.

Harry swallowed with difficulty and nodded, humiliated and ashamed of his words. His words that had crushed a beautiful girl who Harry privately acknowledged he loved, and Harry knew he didn’t have an excuse for the way he treated Ginny.

“Right,” Colin’s shoulders relaxed visibly as he straightened and looked at Harry with malicious intent.

“Colin, I,” Harry attempted a feeble defense.

“Don’t Harry,” Colin hissed as he raised a hand to prevent any further excuse from Harry. “I just wanted to be sure you really are a complete ass. I congratulate you, I used to think you were brilliant, but you hurt people and make sweet, fiery girls cry. I know she’s been putting you through hell, and I tried to get her to cool it, but this? How could you say those things to her, Harry?” Colin’s eyes were cutting and sharp to match his voice.

“If only you knew what she said to me!” Harry spat in his own defense.

“Oh, I do,” Colin interrupted again, “she tore herself apart over it. I am only going to say this once. Stay the hell away from her outside of classes. She doesn’t need you crushing her every chance you get.”

“It’s not like that!” Harry protested.

“It’s exactly like that. Either you accept and encourage the fact that she is hopelessly in love with you and will stand with you through all you have to do, despite the danger, or you are going to watch her be with someone who will support her and appreciate her for who she really is. Oh and before I forget, Harry?”

“What?” Harry looked up from the floor, with exhaust.

A pale, but strong fist connected powerfully with the left side of Harry’s face. Harry hadn’t expected it and never made a move to block it. He stumbled backwards as Colin shook out the pain in his right hand and stalked past Harry. Harry groped toward the stairs and managed to make it to the Hospital Wing.

“Hermione!” He groaned as his best friend rushed toward him.

“Harry, what happened?!” Hermione exclaimed as she ran at him.

She grabbed his outstretched hand and pushed him into a bed and removed his glasses.

“Nothing I didn’t deserve...” he muttered, to which she replied with an arched eyebrow.

Hermione handed off his glasses to Susan who graciously repaired them while Hermione observed a tiny cut under his eye. Madame Pomfrey watched her Healers-in-training with a watchful eye, only to smile sweetly as Harry’s burgeoning shiner melted away under Hermione’s gentle aid.

Susan handed his glasses back and slipped back to her rounds as she checked on a couple Hufflepuffs who had developed some type of hideous rash as a result of some mysterious candy.

“Well done Miss Granger,” Madame Pomfrey commented as she drifted behind the private screen leading to Malfoy’s bed.

Hermione blushed brightly and ruffled Harry’s hair.

“How is it that you would be my first official patient?” She asked with a laugh.

“Would you have it any other way?” He asked cheekily, getting off the cot she had steered him into.

“No, I suppose not. Are you going to tell me how you happened to have the perfect imprint of a fist on your face?” Hermione inquired smugly.

“I refuse to answer a question that will make me appear such a shameless git, but I will tell you that I happened to run into a new professor of ours. Do you know him? He has a thick Bulgarian accent and when Ron found out you were going to the Yule Ball with him, Ron declared you were ‘fraternizing with the enemy.’” Harry quipped with one breath.

“He’s here! Oh, that’s wonderful. Thank you for telling me. Did he say if we are still on for tea tomorrow?” Hermione began to blush again, slowly growing redder.

“Yes, you are. Why didn’t you tell me he was the new professor? I wouldn’t have gotten upset.” Harry insisted.

“Oh, well…I know that Harry, it’s just that…well…When I found out it was the day after Mr. Weasley…, and I was so busy helping Ron, and then, just before he was supposed to come, he was attacked…”

“Hermione, calm down! I know how much you have been helping Ron; I get it. He mentioned the attack, but didn’t give me the particulars. Care to share, so I don’t put my foot in it?” Harry said as he tried to calm his babbling friend.

“I really shouldn’t but since it’s you…Viktor’s older sister,” Hermione gossiped hastily, “Tatiana, was getting married just before our term began. The wedding was supposed to be spectacular. Somehow the Death Eaters got through the security wards, and they lost so many good people. Professor McGonagall told me that Natasha was kidnapped by Pettigrew and then he tortured Tatiana to death. What’s worse is they think since the groom was never found that he may have been a spy and the wedding was a ruse to get several people fighting against Voldemort in one spot. It was a slaughter.”

“Lord Hermione, that’s terrible! One question, who is Natasha? I can’t imagine what that would be like…at a wedding no less, was the rest of Viktor’s family alright?” Harry gasped in shock.

“Natasha was his girlfriend of nearly two years. He told me that he had bought her an engagement ring and was going to propose after Tatiana’s wedding. Now, she is presumed dead. As for his family, Viktor’s father died just after the Tournament and Mrs. Krum a year later. They were both quite young and it isn’t entirely sure what they died of…His younger sister, Nadia, was injured in the attack on the wedding, but survived…” she trailed off with a far away look in her eyes.

As she finished telling Harry about Krum’s family, Ron strode through the doors carrying a silver tray of sandwiches.

“Hermione, I know that he likes to get jealous, but it would be best if you tell Ron exactly what you just told me. You know why, so please just tell him; we can’t have him failing Transfiguration now can we?” Harry whispered as Ron drew closer to them.

“If I had known that my lunches would be delivered daily because of your presence, I would have suggested you to be a trainee in you first year, Miss Granger.” Madame Pomfrey exclaimed as she pilfered one of the thick ham sandwiches from Ron’s tray. “You have an excellent career in food service ahead of you my boy!” She chimed as she closed the door to her office.

Susan meekly asked if she could have one, but Ron had handed her one before she finished her query. She looked at it for a moment and softly asked a very brave question, “I know you all don’t get along, but I’ve been helping Madame Pomfrey out with Draco. Could I take one to him?”

Ron’s jaw steeled and his free hand fisted before Hermione offered an extra to the sweet girl. Susan was gentle and very soft spoken. Hermione liked her very much and the boys often felt that they intimidated the poor girl. Susan thanked them every time they brought food or demanded she and Hermione attend dinner, but was always very quiet. When Hermione handed her the extra sandwich, she smiled graciously at the trio and slipped behind Draco’s screen.

Ron sent Hermione a very nasty look that she promptly ignored.

“Oh, you aren’t half as mad at me as you will be…” she began sadly, “Harry just told me our new professor is here. Our Transfiguration teacher is Viktor. Now before you get in a tiff, yes I knew before you. I didn’t tell you because I found out the day after your father…” she trailed off as she saw a familiar drain of Ron’s color.

Ron set the tray down and looked to the ground as he tried to back away from her. Hermione handed the tray to Harry and followed Ron as he briskly walked out of the Hospital Wing. Harry left after their hasty departure, hoping he would be able to avoid Colin, and apologize to Ginny.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Harry,” a sad voice called to him from behind a statue.

Ginny emerged looking like she hadn’t slept in weeks. Her cheeks were stained and her hair was completely disheveled. She only caught his eye for the briefest of moments before she started crying again. He wasn’t exactly sure how she became enveloped in his arms as they began to walk a familiar path.

“Ginny, please don’t cry.” Harry whispered to her as he guided her down the corridor toward the Room of Requirement.

“I’m just so embarrassed and so ashamed…” she hiccoughed into his cloak.

Harry let himself lazily hold her as they walked by the passage three times and saw the door appear. Inside was a small sitting room with a plush sofa and warm fire. The moment they fell onto the sofa, she wept openly. Ginny had never liked letting people see her cry, much less she hated when she was the reason she was crying to begin with.

“Harry, you were right. I have been awful to you. I know that you fought that day and that it wasn’t your fault. I just wanted to be able to hate you. I couldn’t; you were supportive and helpful. I know that you have to face this, but I didn’t want you to face it alone. I know you have Ron and Hermione, but I want to know that I’m helping you. I just want you to know I support you and then after dad…after dad,” she choked, “I couldn’t do anything. I resented you because you pushed me away. I wanted to support you through your hard times and you wouldn’t do the same for me. Then the other day, I saw Voerlute. She’s beautiful and I was wrong. She didn’t choose me, she was predetermined. I can’t figure out how, but then when Colin and I woke you up in the Common Room, you said that he and I should be together because he would make me happy. I don’t want him to make me happy; I want to make you happy.” She was rambling at an incredible speed.

“Shh, Ginny slow down and calm down. I know you want to make me happy, but that’s not possible for right now. Until we get this whole Occlumency thing down, I can’t let anyone be that close to me. I never said I didn’t want it; I just can’t let him use you as a weapon, not like that, Ginny. I do need you and I want you to be happy. If Colin can make you happy, let him. Right now, I would do a damn poor job, and I’m certain that your six brothers have much scarier punches than Colin Creevey.” He spoke into her hair.

It earned him a small smile, and he felt rewarded.

“If we get this ‘Occlumency thing’ figured out and you feel safe, will you let me help you? I mean really help you? In the battle and everything?” She begged.

“I can’t promise that, Ginny. Honestly, I want to keep you as far away from the battles as I can. Something inside me knows you will be by my side no matter what, but another part of me wants to know that I can keep one person safe. I want that person; rather I need that person to be you. I need to know I haven’t failed in that way.”

“It will come down to you and him, right?” She looked up at him expectantly.

“There’s even a prophesy about it.” He groaned in response.

“Look, when the time comes don’t fight me on it. I will do what I can to help you before then and to stay out of your way, but ask for help if you can, and take it when I can give it. I don’t want to waste the time we have fighting. Deal?”

“Deal, Ginny. I am so sorry for blowing up at you today. I can’t stand to see you upset. You know that right?”

“I know Harry, I’m sorry for the past month.” She giggled.

They both exhaled and breathed a sigh of relief. Now, maybe they might get some work done. Harry stood to leave and held a hand out for her to help her up.

“Harry, before we go there is something I should tell you.” She looked like she may cry again, but held it in, “I know about the Horcruxes.”

“What!” he exclaimed. “How?!”

“I’m not smart like Hermione, but she isn’t smart about not falling asleep with her notes all about the desk in the Common Room. She was making some notes right at the end of the year last year. I saw them before I woke her up; they were just definitions and what goes into a Horcrux. When I saw the name, and the definitions, I realized that the diary was one. Tom put in a lot of effort getting me to trust him and told me a great deal how he made the diary. The real reason why I didn’t come with you was because I knew that if something happened to you guys, someone would have to continue the search for them. Someone would have to continue the search the way you, and presumably Dumbledore, would want. You don’t have to tell me what they are, if you know anything, but Tom told me he made more than one object like the diary. You know I won’t tell anyone, I just wanted you to know that there is one other person who knows.”

“You know, I really should have seen this coming. After all, you are the sister of Fred and George Weasley.” Harry winked at her, but wondered how long it would take for that secret to get out.

“Don’t worry Harry; you’ll give yourself a headache.” She looked up at him with a playful smile.

He smiled back at her and was glad that neither of them had lost all hope. Together, they exited the Room of Requirement and made their way back to the Common Room in an unstrained silence. As they approached, Ginny’s defender came upon them.

“Colin?” Ginny looked perplexed at the look of pure distain on his face.

Harry gracefully slid Ginny in front of him like a shield. Sure it was cowardly, but Colin would at least recognize that Ginny wasn’t angry with him any more.

“Potter, the Headmistress asked I fetch you. She said there is a meeting you, Ron and Hermione need to attend in her office. They have already gone up.” He spat coldly.

Harry simply nodded, smiled to Ginny, and left to find out what was going on. As he left them, he noticed Ginny slip her hand into Colin’s and they began to quickly whisper to each other. Harry let himself feel jealous for a moment before he became completely baffled and tried to figure out where he stood with Ginny.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Attention, may I have your attention please!” McGonagall called to bring the remaining Order members together.

Most everyone was in attendance and sitting in her office that had enlarged itself to accommodate everyone comfortably. Harry sat next to Remus who was chatting idly with Kingsley. Mrs. Weasley was talking animatedly with Dora and her friend Veronica. The twins were teasing Percy, who for the first time was in attendance.

“Thank you all for coming today! We have quite a lot to discuss today, but the first and most important thing is to establish who shall be our new leader.” McGonagall chimed from her perch at her desk.

At this, there was a general outburst of several names.

“McGonagall,” “Kingsley,” “My vote is for Mad Eye,” “Gred,” “Forge,”

Chaos reigned and raucous debates spewed forth until finally Mad Eye, who had been lurking in the background with Hagrid, spoke up.

“I think that in order for us to do what is best we should ask the person whose opinion matters most.” He barked at the crowd.

The eyes shifted to Harry, who became furiously uncomfortable.

“Remus,” He stated simply and quietly.

“But he is a werewolf! He won’t be able to be there for us if it is a full moon.” Someone in the back hollered.

“Then he shall have a second, why Dumbledore never did this I’ll never know!” Another person called back.

Harry turned to look at Remus full on, and stood up after emerald eyes met grey.

“Yes, he is a werewolf, but the majority of you know he was the best teacher we ever had in Defense. We need someone who can guide us and be there. Most of you have outside jobs, families, your own lives. Remus and Dora have simple lives at present. She works in the Ministry and he has never failed us in the past. The real question is; would he take the job.” Harry said as steadily as he could.

He had never been more terrified to address a crowd. He watched as all the eyes shifted from him and to his father’s best friend. Remus stood and looked at the crowd. His eyes paused on his wife as she smiled at him. Molly was nodding vigorously with her hands clasped together.

“If you feel I can do this job, I will not fail you at it.” Remus all but whispered.

“Do we as an Order elect Remus Lupin to become the new leader of the Order of the Phoenix?” McGonagall asked to the members gathered in her office.

Slowly the aye’s took the vote and he was elected.

“Shall you choose your second Remus?” She turned and asked the new leader as he took her place at the front of the group.

He smiled and looked through the crowd again.

“Harry, I know I can’t ask you, but who would you think would serve me best?” He asked in a most serious tone.

“I don’t know who you trust, Remus.” Harry returned nervously.

“In this matter, I trust your opinion above all others here.”

Harry suddenly had a flash back from his childhood. He remembered all those times he wanted to play with the children and hoped he would be picked onto a team. Dudley always made sure he was the last to be picked if at all. He gazed around the room at various people, Kingsley would be a good choice, but he was so busy with training and working with the Ministry. Dora would be good, but they may try to kill each other if they had to work that closely together. His eyes passed among the Weasleys. For some reason, he saw one person in the crowd. He was silent and attentive. He would be an excellent choice and Harry knew that Remus would respect and trust him.

“If I were in your shoes, Remus, I would choose Ron Weasley.” Harry dared to answer boldly despite the fact that Molly Weasley was only a few feet away from him.

Ron turned bright red and stared at Remus to gage his reaction.

“Ron, would you join me up here for a moment?” Remus asked quietly and stone faced.

The room was filled with another outburst from the members of the Order.

“He is still a student!” “He can’t speak!” “How will he be informed?”

Molly finally screeched, “He is still a child!”

Tears streamed down her face as a new look of pure terror swept over her. The room fell silent as Ron unfolded his lanky form from the short chair he had been sitting in, and walked to the front of the room. The blush drained from his face, and a new look of confidence and strength donned his young countenance. As he straightened and slowly strode to join Remus, he had never looked more like his father. Pride returned to his eyes and he squeezed his mother’s shoulder gently as he passed her. Harry supposed it was Ron’s way of saying that he would be alright.

“You do not have to accept this role, Ron. I urge you to consider this choice and all possible outcomes. I know you will not fail me and I have complete trust in you. Will you be my second? Will you continue the work Albus started should anything happen to me?” Remus extended a shaky hand to Ron, as his eyes fell on Molly.

Remus couldn’t help but feel awful for her as she saw her son, grip his hand and the pact was made.


The Second by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
In previous chapters, Tonks has also been called Dora. Please pay close attention because Lupin will sometimes refer to her as "Dora." Please Read and Review.
Chapter Twelve
The Second

The meeting progressed long into the night. Though McGonagall’s office had been magically enlarged, it still seemed somewhat cramped with all the members of the Order present. Plans were being made to induct several new members as well. Krum was not a member yet, but everyone expected him to be invited to the next meeting. While Remus explained the attack that took place at Tatiana’s wedding, Ron paid diligent attention and followed every direction Remus gave; he even went so far as to scratch out a few notes for himself.

Harry could not bear to look at Mrs. Weasley. He had deliberately suggested Ron to be Remus’ second. Remus had asked Harry whom he would choose to be his second, who would Harry ask to be his right hand in any difficult situation? There really wasn’t much question in matter. But though he was young and relatively inexperienced in comparison to some, the Order seemed to accept Ron as second-in-command. He would be the leader when Remus was out because of the full moon or as the result of his death.

Ron had become a very quick study since his return to Hogwarts. He was already beginning to learn basic non-verbal spells, thanks to Professor Flitwick’s assistance. He appeared stronger and more motivated than he had in years. He was working so hard to prove himself that Harry knew that he would do well in the role, even though Ron was so young. Harry let his mind pull away from the debates and looked at his best friend.

They had been through so much together, it almost seemed as though now he, Ron, and Hermione had found their own paths. She was training to be a Healer, while they worked to become Aurors. Though they worked together in classes and training, Harry realized that they were no longer that unit with three heads. They were three people, each with responsibilities and goals. Together they would have to aid each other to achieve them. After Ron, Harry and Hermione were officially inducted into the Order, Remus called for new business.

“I know I am not the most welcomed member right now,” Percy began, ignoring the twins’ snickers, “but I know for a fact the Floo Network into and out of Hogwarts is being very carefully monitored. The Minister is very interested in the legacy of Professor Dumbledore, which means he would want to know about all of this,” he said, gesturing to make his point.

“He mentioned something about wanting to know about Dumbledore’s supporters. I believe I have led him off the trail of the Order, but let’s not do anything to arouse his suspicions. The Minister believes, the reason there are so many visitors tonight is because several parents have come to discuss safety concerns. His spies cannot tell who came into the school, but will know who you are if you leave. I would not recommend Flooing into or out of the school any longer. After the meeting, we need to leave through the gates, and it would be best to Apparate.”

Many people looked surprised by this information, but for the most part, everyone just nodded.

“Thank you, Percy. That is important to know. Tonight’s meeting is here specifically because we needed to induct Harry, Hermione, and Ron. Now that they are official, we will establish a Portkey for them,” Remus said rhetorically.

“I have a request,” Harry began somewhat nervously. “It has come to my attention that Ginny Weasley has come into some vital information. I need her protected at all costs. Those of you who know her are aware that this is no easy task. I can’t divulge what that information is, but should anything happen to Ron, Hermione, or myself, I ask that you all guard her with your lives.”

“If her information is valuable, she should share it! Should she be inducted into the Order?” Percy asked loudly.

“The crux of that matter is I was already aware of what she knows. This information was shared with me by Dumbledore last year; at his request, it is to remain private. It is not a problem that she knows this information, but her loss could be as fatal to our organization as Dumbledore or I. As to your second question, I don’t believe we should induct her at this time, but she should be allowed in as the final battle draws near,” Harry finished, putting an end to the conversation.

He was pleased to see his summer companions pick up on his intended pun. It told them what they needed to know without divulging the secret of the Horcruxes. As he saw Hermione dive deep into thought, the twins stood up.

“Remus, we recommend,” Fred began.

“That Ginny be informed she is being protected,” George finished.

“If she finds out on her own, the consequences,” Fred continued.

“Could be dangerous,” George said, adding a dramatic theatrical shudder.

The twins’ voices bounced between their bodies as they finished each other’s sentences. A few members chuckled at their request.

“What’s the matter boys? Scared of your baby sister?” a man Harry didn’t know asked, with a self-righteous attitude.

“Damn right!” four voices answered.

This time, instead of the twins voicing their opinion unanimously, Bill and Percy joined in as they looked at the poor fellow. Ron nodded vigorously in agreement with his brothers. Bill turned to look at the man.

“Jack, have you ever seen our mother in a battle?”

Molly blushed as she watched her sons violently explain her fury with much swishing of wands and mimicked looks of rage.

“We mean have you seen her when she was really mad, not about the mayhem the twins pull, but really furious?” Percy asked bravely, as he waved a hand at his mother in reference.

Jack nodded. His eyes clouded as he remembered something, a hint of fear coming into them. More than one person saw him shudder visibly.

“Give that horns and you know what it was like to grow up with Ginny in the house. She needs to know if she is being watched or else her guard is likely to have severe spell damage,” George supplied.

Several Order members burst into heavy laughter as they noted the seriousness of the boys’ tone. It was hard to imagine a miniature Molly Weasley; much less anyone who could make the entire brood of Weasley boys quake with fear. Changing subjects gracefully, Ron clapped everyone’s attention back to the front, where he handed Remus a note.

“Apparently, the second-in-command believes it would be wise to invite those seventh-years students who are participating in work-study to join the Order, as well as Luna Lovegood. Harry explained that we should admit Ginny when the final battle draws near, but the others could be put to good use now,” Remus read to the audience.

“He says they are all trustworthy and that he, Hermione, and Harry can personally attest to their strength and dedication to Dumbledore’s ideals,” Remus continued, smiling at this thought.

“Ron believes that should there ever be another attack at or on Hogwarts, they should be the first line of defense, along with the teachers, thus giving the other adult members time to get here and aid in the battle. I don’t know these students as well as the three already here, but what do you say Minerva?” he asked, as he looked up from Ron’s note.

“I don’t know if I would make them full-fledged members; rather, I would keep them generally informed of Death Eater activity and ask them if we can count on their participation should the need arise. If we try it my way, I think we will see which students are the most reliable, and the ones who are not of the maturity level to join the Order just yet. We have already seen that Voldemort is using our students against us; this would combat his efforts and give us more support among the students,” the Headmistress articulated thoughtfully.

There was a general murmuring of agreement to McGonagall’s provisions as the Order took in Ron’s suggestion. He blushed when Remus thanked him for the idea and asked him to take up the task of inviting those students to a preliminary meeting next week.

At length, the meeting ended and people filtered out of the Headmistress’ office. Kingsley and Tonks stayed a few minutes to chat about Ginny, but Harry refused to tell them how she came by information about the Horcruxes. He knew they would not appreciate Hermione’s slip, but Harry also knew Hermione had already deduced how Ginny came about the information and would not repeat her mistake.

Ron paled as his mother approached him. She still looked quite upset, but a shine was returning to her mournful eyes. Purely out of habit, she drew her hand up to his forehead and brushed some of his red fray back upon his brow.

“He would be so proud of you right now, as am I. I love you, son. Take care and be safe,” Harry heard her mutter to Ron, engulfing him in a bone-crushing hug. Ron bent down and kissed the top of her head.

Molly then grabbed Hermione’s hand, which was unconsciously threaded through the crook of Ron’s elbow, and walked her down the steps of McGonagall’s office. Ron let a queer smile grace his lips as he stuffed his newly free hand into his pocket and watched his two favorite women descend the stairs.

His mum was as intimidating as ever, but looked older and more tired than he remembered. She wasn’t sleeping, he could tell. Hermione had wrestled her feral hair into a tight twist at the crown of her head. He could see that she had tangled her wand into it for support.

Hermione and Molly whispered something to each other before Molly kissed her on the cheek and hugged her tightly. She also hugged Harry quickly before she began to follow Tonks and Remus out of the castle.

Harry and Ron watched the two women bicker about what Remus should do to his hair until the students had to turn in the opposite direction to get to Gryffindor Tower. When they were well out of earshot, Ron reached out and grabbed Hermione’s shoulder. She had been walking slightly ahead of them and had let her hair fall about her face, masking herself from the boys. With one look, Ron saw she was on the verge of tears and stopped her dead in her tracks.

“Ron, I’m sorry. Your mother just said something very sweet to me and it reminded me of something your father once said. I guess the emotions got the best of me.”

Harry quickly realized he needed to be as far away from his two best friends as possible. He murmured something about informing Ginny she was going to have a guard and left his two friends to each other.

They gazed at his back for a moment before Ron turned her chin so she was looking him directly in the eye.

“The summer after our third year, just before we all went to the Quidditch Cup, you and I had a brilliant feud. Your father heard us. I stormed out of the house and went into the garden to fume. He came out practically crying from laughter. From what I understand, we reminded him a lot of himself and your mum when they were at Hogwarts. He said since we fought like we were married, he was going to pretend I was his daughter-in-law. He never did it in front of you or your brothers, but he would always slip a note or something into a letter or care package your mum sent me. He said he wanted to welcome me into the family.” Hermione shook her head and smiled slightly at the memory.

Ron looked at her for a moment, waiting for her to continue, before growing impatient and tapping her. She gave another brief smile.

“Then tonight,” she continued at Ron’s prompt, “as she was leaving, your mother said she was thankful for everything and saw me as a daughter just as much as Ginny. I don’t feel like I should be thanked! I love your family! They have always made me feel like I belong, especially since I am Muggle-born and didn’t know about the Wizarding world. I have been writing to your mum since the summer ended. I know you and Ginny haven’t been as good at writing to her as you have in times past.”

Hermione saw a pang of guilt streak across his concerned face and patted his hand gently. “She said my letters have helped her keep her mind off everything. I didn’t think it was that important, but she made me feel so special. Oh, I’m rambling and a mess!” she finally exclaimed, as she tried to wipe away her tears with her sleeve, braving a look at Ron.

Ron stared at Hermione in a way she had never seen before. She saw gratitude and vulnerability. He reached out a long thumb to push the tears off her face. He smiled softly as she affectionately leaned against his hand, and he could feel her face heat slightly at his touch. He let his fingers drift to the nape of her neck and tenderly kissed her forehead. Hermione slipped her arms around his waist for a gentle embrace before they both softly pulled away. Though he could vocalize nothing, volumes were said as they languidly strolled back to Gryffindor Tower, arms around each other.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They both blushed slightly as they approached the Fat Lady to find Harry waiting for them. Hermione squeaked out something about having to be in the hospital wing before breakfast. Ron watched the portrait hole snap shut before he turned his attention to his best friend.

Ron wore a look that screamed false innocence. His ears were tainted bright pink, but despite his embarrassment, he looked utterly happy. Harry on the other hand, observed the odd actions of his friends and made a mental note to figure out what was going on, but chose not to address the issue at present.

“Ron, I know I didn’t get a chance to warn you, but are you all right with the fact that I advised Remus to choose you? I’m sorry if I got you into something you weren’t up for…” Harry trailed off.

Ron just patted his friend on his shoulder, with a light smile on his face, and led him through the portrait hole. Ron and Professor McGonagall had explained to the Fat Lady that Ron’s voice had been damaged in a battle, so they had worked out a signal to let her know he could go into the dormitory. As he neared her hidden passage, Ron winked his left eye and she let the two friends into their common room. The room was lit in the soft basking glow of red fire light. Their eyes slipped onto the plush sofa, where Colin had fallen asleep with Ginny leaning on his shoulder. Her face was relaxed as she quietly slept for what looked like the first time in days.

Ron looked positively dangerous as he witnessed Colin slip his arm from the back of the sofa onto her shoulders, pulling her closer. Ron looked at Harry, and Harry looked at Ron as various murder scenarios played out behind Ron’s eyes. Finally, he sighed.

“Ron, if it was me on the couch with her, what would you do?” Harry asked quietly.

Ron shrugged and lowered his eyes to the floor.

“You want her to be happy right?” he asked.

Ron nodded and trudged up the stairs. Harry waited for a moment before he stared at the sleeping couple again.

“Colin,” he whispered, barely audible, “I know you’re not asleep. I apologized to her. Thanks for taking care of her.”

Colin slid his left eye open for a brief second before Ginny nuzzled further into his chest. Harry summoned the blanket she and Hermione had given him for his birthday and draped it over her legs. He smiled when he saw Colin smirk slightly and headed up the stairs.

Harry found sleep quickly, but it wasn’t long before he realized he would like nothing more than to be awake.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“Well, hello Harry. I am sure you have realized you have not been seeing me in your dreams. I have put up my own defenses, but I thought tonight you and I should reconnect. How have you been? Still believe you are going to defeat me, eh? Well, I guess we shall have to see what you think after tomorrow.” Harry fell out of bed, clutching his scar. As Voldemort withdrew from his mind, Harry swore he heard a woman scream out.

Harry knew he was being used as a pawn in some sick Death Eater game, and he tried to remember the details of the room he had witnessed. Voldemort had been in a house. It was a place Harry knew. Harry remembered seeing Voldemort’s reflection in a large picture window as they stared out onto the abandoned street. A street lamp was flickering several meters away from the intense magical output in the house. Wormtail had been sitting in a chair near his master. While Voldemort tortured Harry, Pettigrew had idly petted a white cat with his silver hand.

As the memory swam in Harry’s mind, he fought down the urge to retch. The overwhelming stench of the house still permeated Harry’s nostrils. Harry let himself wake up and breathe the cool, crisp air of the castle. It was so contradictory to the sickening cabbage smell that wafted in his mind from the house Voldemort took him to. That cabbage smell…there was only one place Harry knew smelled like that.

He wasn’t sure how he managed to have Voldemort invade his dreams and not cry out and wake up his dorm mates, but he pushed the idea out of his head. Harry stretched to find his feet and fought to wake Ron. With great effort, he forced his best friend out of bed and down to the common room. Without speaking to Ron yet, he strode over to the couch where Ginny still slept next to Colin.

“Ginny, I need you to wake up,” Harry hissed, as he shook her shoulder forcefully.

“Harry, what is it?” she croaked.

“I need you to get Hermione for me; it’s urgent.” he whispered with intent.

She pushed back the blanket and hastily moved up the stairs. Moments later, Hermione came downstairs in a dressing gown.

“Harry, Ron, what’s going on?” she yawned.

Ron pinked a little, but shook his head and pointed to Harry.

“Voldemort has attacked Mrs. Figg. We need to inform McGonagall.” He raised his eyebrows, indicating he wanted to do something, but waited for Ginny to coax Colin to move up to his dorm before she ascended her own staircase. Harry suspected she might be eavesdropping, but wasn’t going to bother finding out.

“Hermione, can you please tell McGonagall and have her send Dora to check up on my Aunt Petunia. Ron, please tell Remus and whomever else you need to inform. This is a trap; don’t send anyone after her. I hate to act like she is already gone, but from where we stand, trying to save her would be a slaughter.”

He watched his best friends do as he asked. Hermione came back from McGonagall’s office saying his family, for now, was safe and he need not worry about them. Ron, meanwhile quickly penned a letter to Remus. When he finished, he lightly tapped the parchment three times and it disappeared. Moments later another letter appeared in its place.

Ron,
We just learned about the attack as your letter arrived; McGonagall contacted Dora and when we have secured Mrs. Figg’s house, she will check on Petunia. I believe Harry was right that this was an attempt to draw out Aurors and Order members. Tell him to keep his chin up and to take some Dreamless Sleep Potion. It is likely that if she is alive, they may torture her in an attempt to persuade Harry to come after her. Try to get him to rest.
-Remus

Despite their arguments, Harry refused the potion. He stubbornly declared he simply would not sleep until they knew what had happened. Hermione and Ron had been good enough to wait with him, but Hermione finally fell asleep on the sofa, Crookshanks in her lap. Ron was quite alert for someone who desperately hated being drawn from his bed. Perhaps it was his new responsibility in the Order. At nearly three o’clock in the morning, Hedwig softly floated down from the dormitory with a note in her beak. The message was short, written in McGonagall’s stern script.

Mr. Potter,
Bring the Weasley’s and Miss Granger to the hospital wing.
M.M.

Although her handwriting was as recognizable as always, Ron and Harry could tell the note had been written in haste.

Fell by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Review, its the only way you can tell me what you really think. hehehe. We are finally into my plot! Yay! I have gone to great lengths to set up this plot and respond to all the little pieces that JKR has left for us. I really want to know if you like it.
Chapter Thirteen
Fell

Harry detachedly watched as the night got painfully worse. Hermione had fled up the stairs to get Ginny after McGonagall’s note arrived, and now they all waited to hear word. Undoubtedly, there had been an attack, and now seconds seemed like minutes. Minutes seemed like hours as they waited in somber melancholy. Who had been lost? Who was injured? Hermione had deducted that it must have been Bill, Fred or George. Charlie was still in Romania, while Percy and Ron were safe at Hogwarts. Harry also suspected Mrs. Figg had found her fate for though it was not a pain, he could feel an annoying twinge beneath his scar.

After several hours of pacing, yawning, and an unnatural silence, the door to the Hospital Wing snapped open at five in the morning. A clock clanged the early hour but was only heard by few. As they walked into the hospital, they saw something they had never seen before: various Healers from St. Mungo’s had lazily collapsed about on the beds and were grimly discussing the cases of the few wounded.

As if it were an out of body experience, Harry drifted over to see Mrs. Weasley as she tucked George’s unconscious form into bed. His gaunt face was hardly recognizable with a clearly broken nose and blackened eyes. His left leg was suspended in a tight rig and his right shoulder was heavily bandaged. While Molly kept herself occupied with the minor details of George’s cot, Fred loomed like a grotesque gargoyle at his feet. As George’s breath came in soft, shallow, gasps, Fred watched his mother’s fussing and coddling of his catatonic twin.

Fred looked as though his best friend had betrayed him. He was emotionally torn. Though it was clear he had not been beaten, all could see his hollow eyes and vacant expression. Never in the years of his acquaintance with the Weasleys had Harry ever seen Fred so somber, with the exception of their father’s funeral. Even when Arthur Weasley had been attacked in Harry’s fifth year, there was a glimmer of hope behind the twins devastated scowls.

Unable to watch Fred’s broken face any longer, Harry took in the scene of the room. Neville and Luna were sitting in a cot about ten feet away. He was lying against her shoulder and tightly held her hands. Quiet tears tore down his cheeks. Madam Pomfrey silently guided Neville to lay back and rest as she gave him a small dose of Dreamless Sleep Potion. The whole scene was surreal. Neville’s eyelids fluttered shut as the potion took effect. Luna looked away from him for only a moment. She stared into Harry as he approached her.

“It was his grandmother. She was supposed to go to the meeting tonight but was ill. She sent a note to the Headmistress saying she would not be available because she had a bad cough. Professor McGonagall told him that she didn’t suffer and that it was likely they killed her in her sleep,” she paused and looked at her hand that Neville held tightly. “Harry, what do I do? How can I help him get through this? We’re just kids!” Luna let herself cry and weep at Neville’s loss, but Harry could see the fear in her eyes.

It was unnerving to see Luna, Loony-Luna, so solemn. Her thoughts were collected and articulate; it was almost as if she had let a part of herself fall with the loss of Neville’s grandmother. As he watched her golden head bow to return her gaze to Neville, Harry felt a familiar hand pull his shoulder and out of the wing. Hermione was waiting with Professor McGonagall as Ron all but dragged Harry into the corridor.

“As you know, there were attacks tonight. Mrs. Figg was tortured and killed. We currently believe that her death was a ruse to drag attention away from the elimination of the twins.” Her eyes darted to Ron’s stony face before she continued, “Remus believes, and asked me to inform you, that the Weasleys, according to the Death Eaters, are considered blood traitors and therefore should be exercised from the wizarding community. Fred had gone to speak with Lee Jordan after the meeting, whereas George headed directly back to their store. Aside from the building being completely destroyed, when Fred returned, he found George had been strung up to the ceiling. His death was to be slow and painful. However, though he appears in terrible shape, the Healers have induced his coma. He will not wake up until his body has been completely healed, it may be months yet, but he will be fine.” She stressed as she stared into Ron’s cold blue eyes.

She waited for a reaction of some kind on Ron’s part before continuing. Sensing the attention, Ron blinked forcefully and strenuously exhaled. His shoulders visibly relaxed and McGonagall once again began to inform them of the Death Eater activity.

“Remus also believes that there was an attempt on the Minister’s life. As far as we can tell, Minister Scrimgeour is still in perfect health. At this point, I do not have much information on the subject but will keep you all informed as I learn the complete details of tonight’s events. As you may already know, Mr. Potter, Mr. Longbottom’s grandmother was murdered as well. Though her death was considerably more humane, he will feel the loss greatly and I ask all of you to help him.” As she finished briefing the new members of the Order her eyes fell back on the door to the hospital doors.

Without a glance back to the students, the Headmistress turned and headed back to her office. The three friends watched her for a moment before Hermione took charge and pushed into the Hospital. She grabbed a spare apron from Madam Pomfrey’s office.

“Harry, why don’t you walk Ginny back to Gryffindor Tower?” she asked in a manner that suggested he had no choice in the matter.

Ginny was exhausted but was currently trying to get Fred to sit down and get some rest. Molly was still fussing, but she had shifted from Fred and was now holding Neville’s other hand with Luna.

“I don’t want to leave!” Ginny exclaimed as she heard Hermione.

“I don’t want an argument! McGonagall told me that George was going to be fine; he needs time and rest to recuperate. Please go back to the Tower, Ginny. I promise I will come up in the morning and wake you so that you can breakfast with your family. Besides you have your meeting tomorrow afternoon.” Hermione looked poignantly at Harry.

“Alright, but don’t forget to get me.” Ginny asked grudgingly.

Hermione nodded and watched as Ginny squeezed Fred’s arm. Fred merely nodded. Ginny glided over to her mother and placed a quick peck on her head before heading up without bothering to look at her supposed escort. Harry dragged behind her and left it to Hermione to make things better.

“Ron, I’m going to send a note to Susan. Could you go get her from Hufflepuff Hall? She doesn’t like walking alone in the halls at night.” As Ron strode out of the room in complete obedience, Hermione called for Dobby who appeared instantly.

“We have a few guests tonight. Could you please send up some tea and maybe something for the Healers to eat?” She asked sweetly before he was gone again.

“My dear, you need not stay; it is the weekend after all and I thought you hated the use of house-elves.” Madam Pomfrey said as she stifled a yawn. She sounded rather surprised at Hermione’s take-charge attitude.

“I don’t mind, besides…Susan and I agreed that if ever you needed help because of an attack we would call the other to come in and help. Dobby is just getting tea for yourself and the Healers and he is a paid employee. Susan can tend to Neville, while you help George. I will take on Fred and then settle Molly.”

“I must say, I never thought you the commanding kind of girl, but you are quite grown up Miss Granger.” Madam Pomfrey smiled as she slid into her office.

Hermione observed the room for a moment before she squared her shoulders to descend upon Fred. He was still hovering over his twin with a look of complete abhorrence on his face. She vaguely noted that Ron was back and Susan passed her to speak with Madam Pomfrey. Dobby was pouring tea for the remaining Healers. Molly and Luna were whispering busily.

“Fred, you should sit down. He is going to be alright.” Hermione began tentatively.

“Shove off, Hermione.” He had never been so gruff to her. “How could he do this to me? We promised each other that we would both make it out of this stupid war without so much as a scar. Now his leg has to be re-grown and his shoulder was dislocated! He broke his word. He promised me that I wouldn’t lose him.” Fred was vicious in his digression.

Fred, however, did not anticipate Hermione’s ability to hold her ground. He barely noticed Ron toss a spell at himself and Hermione before she truly began to rant.

“How dare you, Fred Weasley! He is your brother and he loves you! Why do you think he would make such an asinine promise? He would make that promise for the same reason you would, to guarantee that if he had to break it, it would be because he was helping someone. Personally, I think since he was nearly killed at your store, you should give him the benefit of the doubt. What is the likelihood that the Death Eaters tortured him into telling them where you or your mother was? What do you think, Fred? Don’t be deliberately stupid, when we know that you are clever enough to bring both Filch and Umbridge to their knees. Now sit down, and relax. You are either going to do as I say or I will toss you so far out of this castle, the giant squid will cushion your fall!” she ridiculed in a disdainful whisper.

“Hermione!” he exclaimed in complete shock. First, his twin was nearly killed, and then a sprite of a girl screams bloody murder at him at almost six thirty in the morning.

At long last, Fred sat on the small wooden stool next to George. Everyone who was awake was staring at the two amusedly. Ron, who had shot a spell at them just before the fight, marched over to where Fred sat and waved his wand at the two.

“What was that?!” Fred asked as Ron popped a small white candy into his mouth and took the spell off his brother and friend.

A spell we learned last year. Prevents you from being overheard.

The Said-Head product was a success. A cartoonish word bubble appeared over Ron’s head as he concentrated on his dialogue.

“I meant her!” He cried as he jabbed a thumb at Hermione.

I know exactly what she can be like when she is really mad at you. Thought you would appreciate your lesson better if the whole wing didn’t know how easily Hermione can put someone in their place.

Fred rolled his eyes at the two who were now staring at him with intent.

“Is he really going to be okay?” Fred asked cautiously while not looking at either of them.

“McGonagall said he would be. Just give it time.” Hermione countered gently.

She gave Fred a cup of tea from Dobby’s tray and went to inform Susan of the situation. Had she turned around at that moment she would have likely blushed profusely.

Blimey, she’s gorgeous when she’s angry.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning came entirely too quickly for the friends. Ginny was in a positively evil mood with her mother after breakfast. Hermione and Susan had let Madam Pomfrey rest for a few hours before going to bed themselves. Ron had decided to stay with Fred and try to help the girls, but ultimately fell asleep. He woke only once when Hermione came to cover him with a spare blanket.

Harry had tried to be of use when he came back the next morning, but he felt he was in the way and left to find a place where he could think and be alone. Without thinking about any place in particular, he found himself before the Irish castle and in the Founder’s Suite.

He took the time to leisurely examine the portraits of the four Hogwarts Founders. He noted Helga Hufflepuff’s charm and playful eyes in deep contrast to Rowena Ravenclaw’s stunning elegance and beauty. Salazar Slytherin had deep obsidian eyes and a brave confidence whereas Godric Gryffindor had a more approachable appeal to his painted demeanor. It was at Gryffindor’s portrait that Harry fell deep into thought. What seemed like hours later Harry vaguely heard the entrance painting snap shut.

“You know, he looks nothing like I imagined. I always envisioned him somewhat more…rugged.” Ginny’s voice interrupted his reflections.

“I’m sorry about George. How are you holding up?” He asked quickly as he spun around to face her.

“I’m alright. Madam Pomfrey said that the other Healers think it would be best if he is housed here since there was an actual attempt on his life. Remus just left with Mum. I don’t know if she had a chance to tell you, but Remus asked that she and the rest of the family move to Grimmauld Place. Well, should we begin?” She spoke just above a whisper and Harry found it difficult to watch the stress in her eyes.

“Begin what?” Harry inquired stupidly.

“Occlumency, Harry. It is why we are here, after all,” she stated, with a weak smile as she waved a hand at the exquisite portraits about her.

“Forgive him, my dear. It has been my experience that no young man can think properly with such beauty before him!” the portrait of Godric Gryffindor boomed from behind Harry’s head.

A startled Harry whirled around too fast and found the floor while Helga Hufflepuff giggled behind her hand. Ginny only smiled at the painting and laughed at Harry on the floor.

“Mr. Ollivander said that you seldom speak to anyone; to what do we owe the honor?” Ginny giggled.

“Oh, he’s always been a flirt. I’m Helga, though you probably know that. He always acts a fool for a lady.” Hufflepuff laughed and rolled her eyes at her fellow founder.

Gryffindor gallantly stuck his tongue out at the cackling women.

“You, my dear, remind me very much of the last woman I saw in this room. Similar shape and height, she had red hair as well. Her name was Claire McFaddon. She and a young fellow, by the name of Wesley, were working on a Divination project together several years ago mind you. They stumbled upon our room and the lessons one can learn here. As I’m sure you deduced, I am Godric Gryffindor, though you may call me God.” He barked with a laugh at the end.

“Godric, you need to get a new joke,” a new low and raspy voice hissed.

Harry and Ginny now looked at the intimidating figure of Salazar Slytherin. His arms were crossed in a most menacing way and he raised a sharp eyebrow at his famed rival.

“Oh, leave him alone Sal! If he doesn’t have his humor, he doesn’t have anything.” A cold feminine voice came from across the room.

This time Ravenclaw was gesturing at Gryffindor.

“If my friends are quite finished with the verbal assaults, I would like to get to know the youngsters better. How are you, my dear?” he asked cheekily, accompanied by a brilliant smile.

Harry could have sworn he heard several eyes roll at that moment.

“I am quite tired today. I have only been up a few hours. Last night, my brother was nearly killed,” Ginny stated boldly.

“You poor dear! And yet you come to work on your Occlumency? You must be a very dedicated student!” Rowena exclaimed.

Ginny smiled at the beautiful woman.

“I’m not that faithful of a student, but the Occlumency prevents me from having nightmares. There is a war on at the moment and it has been most…devastating.” Ginny’s voice tightened up somewhat.

“Oh, you sweet thing, Albus mentioned something of that last year. We have not met the new Headmistress yet, but we assumed she was rather busy.” Helga eloquently stated.

“I can fetch her if you like; she is in her office…” Harry offered.

“No need, Mr. Potter; I have just come to check on you.” The crisp voice of Headmistress Minerva McGonagall announced her arrival.

“Should the six of you need anything at all, I am available for the rest of the day. Please feel free to come to me with any questions or concerns you have.” With that she waved her wand and a large tray of sandwiches and pumpkin juice appeared, much like it had after Harry and Ron had flown the car into the Whomping Willow.

This day was getting continually more peculiar, in Harry’s opinion. Ginny didn’t seem all that affected by George’s injuries. No one had gotten a good night’s sleep, and the Headmistress gave them sandwiches that they could easily have gotten from the Great Hall.

“Well, you best eat up. Occlumency can take a lot out of you sometimes,” Rowena commented good-naturedly. “When you have finished, I think you should try those breathing exercises Mr. Ollivander started you on before moving onto the visualization techniques.”

Harry was lost momentarily before he remembered that they were supposed to envision a body of strength last night. Seeing as Voldemort had attacked his mind, and that he had not slept even after Hermione banished him from the Hospital Wing, Harry had quite let it slip his mind. He and Ginny helped themselves to the thick sandwiches and juice and sat in peace while they ate.

When they were finished Ginny cleaned up while Harry tried in vain to think of a fortifying source of power and strength. First, he tried Hogwarts but then he recalled the last year’s events when the walls had been breeched. Hogwarts was not as safe as it once was. Secondly, he envisioned Dumbledore and the power his mentor exuded, but again Harry was haunted by the weak, old face of the man that died in the previous year. Finally, he found himself thinking of Molly Weasley and her determined countenance. She was a force to be reckoned with at all times.

“Alright children, lie down and relax.” Rowena prompted them.

Her voice was low and melodic. She only spoke once or twice to encourage them to calm, not force, their breathing into a pattern. Soon, they were in that odd place between sleep and consciousness. Harry felt his body completely unwind and yield to its exhaustion, but contradictorily, his mind was sharp and he could hear and smell the faintest breeze whirling in through the window. He could hear Ginny take in deep breaths with her mouth and exhale gently.

“Still focusing on your surroundings, try to envision your image of strength. See in your mind's eye that idea of power and strength. Allow that being to exist on the forefront of your mind so that nothing can delve beyond it.” Rowena’s musical voice emanated again.

Harry’s body dove deeper into relaxation and he felt more rested than he had in months. He saw Molly Weasley as he remembered her, but slowly as her image became clearer in his head, he noticed small nuances of change. Her hips were not as wide and her hair was slightly longer. She had fewer wrinkles and she smiled in a way Harry could not place. He watched as he let Molly walk up to his inner self and past him. He studied her and examined the power this matriarch radiated.

“Harry. Harry, wake up.” Ginny shook his shoulder lightly.

“Ginny? Oh, I guess I fell asleep, I’m sorry,” he said with embarrassment.

“It is quite alright, Harry. Ginny fell asleep as well, and you both did very well.” Rowena commented with praise. “I know that this week will be difficult for you both with classes, but I want you to work on two things. The first is your Occlumency. When you prepare to sleep each night pull that image of strength to the front of your mind again. It should be the first and last thing you see each day. The second thing is a riddle. I have found that when working on the mind, it is hard to always focus on one thing. Push your minds to strengthen each day. When you both know the answer to the riddle, I may be able to find you another one.” She grinned in a way that suggested she was up to something, but as Harry and Ginny did not know her very well, they missed it.

“Thank you for your help today, Rowena," Ginny said politely. “What is the riddle you want us to work on?”

“What is desired and cherished, respected and encouraged, but can only be given to one’s self?” With that her portrait stilled and Harry and Ginny left with pensive looks on their faces.

A/N: Well?

Time Flies by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
In the next few chapters Ron comes into his own, Harry is purely spectator and I remind you that this is her show, I am merely in awe.
Chapter Fourteen


Time Flies





George had shown steady improvement since his attack, which took place the first week in September. Now nearly eight weeks later, his physical self was what it always had been, but he remained unconscious due to severe magical symptoms. For Harry and his friends, the weeks had melded together into lessons, homework, and the work-study assignments.




Harry had managed to break up the monotony by corresponding with Dudley and Aunt Petunia. Hermione had been very helpful by suggesting he send the letters to her mother, who would then route them to his relatives via Muggle post. So far, the slow system was working splendidly. After George was attacked, Harry had contacted Rita and released a statement. Rita had the story put in a back article of the Prophet and kept it relatively small. She simply said the newest attack on the Weasleys had driven the family into hiding, and that Harry hoped everyone was demonstrating extreme caution. She put in a little fluff to keep the Minister happy, but for the most part kept it simple.




Sadly, there had been a casualty of war no one anticipated. Because of the growing threat to the school and its occupants, Quidditch had been cancelled. McGonagall declared that Quidditch was an excellent sport, but it was a distraction to students and staff alike. She said she regretted the necessity of her decision but stood firmly by her choice. She had also decided there would be only one Hogsmeade weekend, which would take place just before Christmas and be highly organized and supervised.




Ginny and Harry were getting along as though they had never dated and had always been the best of friends. They both knew this was just a front, but never failed to keep up appearances. For her part, Ginny was now “dating” Colin. Rumors spread like wildfire when they were seen holding hands and sharing a quick kiss or two. According to popular gossip, Harry was secretly plotting to capture Colin and trap him in the Chamber of Secrets. When Ron heard this rumor, he laughed so forcefully he began to choke at the dinner table. Ginny on the other hand, was quite disturbed by the idea and asked Harry to help her put an end to it.




Percy and Krum were turning out to be excellent teachers. Krum was rather more reserved, but Harry assumed he was still haunted by the attack on his family. Percy proved that his enthusiasm for academics had paid off. Not only was he able to improve upon the things the classes already knew, he could point out minor errors and further their study. Soon enough everyone slipped into the standard routine the school year brings and time passed for everyone.




Ginny and Harry had asked everyone to help them with the riddle, but no one had given them a reply good enough for Rowena. Hermione was fascinated by their stories of the founders and she and Ron finally ventured into the Suite before one of Ginny and Harry’s Occlumency lessons. Though they were captivated by the stunning paintings, they were quite disappointed when the founders were decidedly silent.




And so the term progressed and life was almost normal.



~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




“Harry,” Hermione began early one evening, “Have you figured out how to destroy the Horcrux?”




She, Harry, and Ron had taken to studying in the Founders Suite. With so few people aware of its existence, they could speak freely and study in peace.




“Honestly, I have had only one thought about it, but I don’t know if it will work. Remember when you said a Horcrux is like a magical bank and applying stress to the magical reserve will strain its integrity? What if since no one can touch it, a group of people were to summon it? The magical reserve would be pulled in several directions, thus weakening it. When there is a great amount of stress, one could try to blow it up. After that I don’t know what to try.” Harry watched as her eyes clouded and she began to think heavily about his idea.




I don’t know if it will work, but it is worth a try. I'll owl Remus and ask him to come to the castle after your next Auror training session. That way Kingsley and Tonks can help. We can get Ginny, Luna, and maybe Neville. Hermione, have Susan work the hospital that night in case we need medical help,” Ron provided, already organizing everything in his head.




Ron collected his things and smiled at Harry and Hermione. Harry knew he was going to owl Remus. He waved at them as he strode out of the room and left them to study. Pig flew out to Remus quite often and was becoming rather good at delivering the mail. They had also learned that the communicative techniques on demonstrated the night of George’s attack were to be used in extreme emergencies.



“I was also wondering if you have learned anything about the Legend,” Hermione questioned hastily.




“Sorry, I have no idea what you are talking about,” Harry replied, intrigued.




“According to Hogwarts, A History,” Harry rolled his eyes at her and she smacked his shoulder before continuing, “the Founders Suite was put into existence to keep the most important lessons the founders believed in. Legend has it that should anyone ever find the answers to the lessons, the founders will grant infinite aid to that person. It was dubbed the Legend of Infinity,” Hermione prattled away.




“I hadn’t heard of it, but it sounds interesting. Maybe the next time Godric starts to flirt with Ginny, I will see if he can shed some light on the subject,” Harry responded.




He was pleased to see Gryffindor make a face at him when Hermione turned her back. None of them were exactly sure why the founders spoke to only Ginny and Harry alone, but accepted it in good-natured stride.




*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




After an intense hour of studying Potions, Hermione left Harry to go back to the hospital wing. Just as she was saying goodbye, Ginny and Professor McGonagall came into the room. Hermione smiled at the two women before continuing on her way. To Harry’s surprise Hedwig was perched on his headmistress’ right shoulder.




“Do you have a letter for me, girl?” Harry asked as he reached up to his owl.




“She likes to visit me sometimes. I spoil several owls with various treats. Since she can’t run many important letters these days, I have been using her to write to Molly. I don’t have an owl of my own. I always used the school owls. I hope you don’t mind. She had just delivered Molly’s latest note when I saw Miss Weasley in the hall and decided to bring her to you. Have you written your family lately?” McGonagall asked carefully.




“I don’t mind; I’m glad she can be of use,” he paused when Hedwig ruffled her feathers proudly, “I have been writing to them through Mrs. Granger, but it is a slow process.”




“I thought as much. I believe you have a mirror that once belonged to your father?” she asked.




Harry nodded sullenly as he remembered receiving the gift from Sirius.




“I gave the other one to your aunt. Forgive my meddling, but since the attack on young Mr. Weasley, she has been quite worried about you. She is expecting you to contact her at noon tomorrow. Please use this room; I will have an elf bring up something to eat.” She pulled her thin, tight lips into a smile before she turned and left.




“Well, I never would have thought she would use someone’s owl without asking,” Ginny said with surprise.




“I don’t really mind, I think she has a soft spot for Hedwig though,” Harry mused, as he thought of Hedwig soaring down to him with a new broomstick in his first year.




“Before we get started, I’d like to know why you four only speak when Harry and I are alone,” Ginny clearly demanded Godric, who was blowing her a kiss.




“And I would like to know more about the legend Hermione mentioned,” Harry said enthusiastically.




“The legend is basically a reward for learning the things we feel are the most important lessons,” Rowena answered Harry. “As for your question, Ginny, after you have learned all our lessons, you will understand.”




“Well now, why don’t you just tell us the answers?” Ginny quipped.




“The best lessons are the ones you teach yourselves,” Helga responded mystically.




“The riddle!” Ginny exclaimed, “You have already begun the lessons! They guide us, don’t they?” She spun around to face Rowena.




“You are a very bright girl, Ginny…” she almost continued, but her voice stopped as Mr. Ollivander slid through the passage and smiled at his pupils.




“Any luck with that riddle?” he inquired with interest.




Harry and Ginny shook their heads and began to meditate. Their Occlumency training had improved greatly in the short period of time. Now, they could meditate and call on their body of strength quickly and still keep their minds sharp. Mr. Ollivander had taken to trying to penetrate their minds while they meditated so they could feel a foreign presence. In his absence, they had begun trying to invade each other’s minds but so far had yet to manage anything other than a blinding headache. The hours progressed and soon they said their goodbyes to Mr. Ollivander.




Though their lesson had gone as well as any other, Harry found himself somewhat distracted. Helga had said Ginny was a bright girl. It was a small compliment and made Ginny smile, but something about it lingered. Ginny had said the founders used the riddles to guide them in the most important lessons. What would Rowena Ravenclaw want him to know? What could a person cherish and respect only if they had achieved it themselves?




“What is desired and cherished, respected and encouraged, but can only be given to one’s self?”




Harry couldn’t explain it, but Hermione’s face swam before his eyes as he collected his belongings and began to move toward the exit. Suddenly he stopped short and Ginny walked directly into his back. Harry dropped his bag and turned to square himself with Rowena’s portrait.




“The answer to the riddle is knowledge,” he stated with clarity.




Ginny looked at him for a moment and made her own attempt.




“More than knowledge, the riddle is the lesson itself. A person should love learning, respect the knowledge of others, and teach others what they know. In the end, it comes down to the individual having the desire to learn,” she whispered sagely.




“You are correct, my dears,” Rowena smiled warmly before continuing, “You may ask us any question you like as a reward before you receive your next lesson.”




Harry looked at Ginny in surprise. He had only been guessing but in hindsight, the answer was obvious.




“What have you ever wondered about the founders, Ginny?” he all but whispered.




“I want to know why Slytherin thinks purebloods are better than Muggle-borns. I have always wondered since my first year.”




“The answer to that, my dear, is simply that I don’t anymore. When we started the school, I chose to teach those students who knew our ways and had great ambition. I didn’t have specific prejudices at the time. I fell in love with a half-blood witch in my youth; she was the daughter of a formidable Muggle-born woman. She was stunning, gentle, and above all else, loving. We wed and had a child. Only a few years after our daughter’s birth, she became pregnant again. This time it was to be a male heir to the Slytherin line. She died trying to bring him into this world, and sadly took him with her. I went mad with grief and loss. I lost my son and my lovely wife. I tried to reason she wasn’t a pureblood and her weak blood led to her demise. I was mad with rage and I left the school. Godric tried to stop me, but I turned on him; thus the infamous falling out and my legendary bigotry.”




“I never imagined that would be the story behind the man. I’m sorry if I pried; you seem so sweet in here. I simply couldn’t believe you to be so blind in your hate,” Ginny whispered apologetically.




“Do not become uneasy, child. I let my madness run away with me and I lost everything. My reputation became the one it is today. I lost my daughter, who adopted my ill beliefs, and never saw my grandchildren. Had I not been insane with loss and guilt, I would have made my daughter the center of my universe and cherished every moment I had with my wife’s legacy. My daughter, Persephone, was a replica of the woman who had her. Sleek black hair, aristocratic bone structure, and captivating violet eyes…” his voice trailed off as he gazed at the magnificent portrait opposite himself.




Rowena’s pale face pinked ever so slightly as she listened to his diatribe. Ginny and Harry quickly realized the suggestion Slytherin was making and looked back and forth between the two.




“Let them hear your lesson, Salazar,” Rowena said in a clear voice.




“What is potential?” Slytherin replied in his raspy voice.




~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~




A few days later, Harry was still puzzled by the newest riddle. According to Hermione, potential was the measurement of a person’s current ability and the estimation of what that ability may become. But Slytherin would not want a definition out of some dictionary. He would want them to apply their understanding and take it to a higher level. Harry and Ginny were as perplexed by their newest lesson as they had been by the first.




The conversation between Harry and his Aunt had been most amusing. Though she tried to hide her shock, it was obvious she had not completely understood how they would be speaking. It was a brief chat asking after each other’s health and common acquaintances. She mentioned that Hagar was apparently giving Dudley another chance and that he was doing very well. According to Aunt Petunia, his grades were up slightly and he was doing quite well at boxing. She also explained that Harry should only try to contact her while Uncle Vernon was at work. Apparently, that Sunday he had a meeting with a new colleague. She mentioned the man was very odd, with cold eyes and a hideous wife. She said when they had met them for dinner at a very chic restaurant, the wife, Trixie, kept muttering under her breath, while the man, Fin, hardly acknowledged Aunt Petunia at all.




The following week, she contacted Harry over lunch and asked him to send Hedwig along so she could talk to Mrs. Weasley about getting together for the holidays. Harry agreed, but was nervous. Uncle Vernon surely would not like such a plan; nonetheless, he agreed to send Hedwig out the next day after breakfast.




On Wednesday, Remus, Tonks, Kinsley, Ron, Harry, Hermione, Neville, Fred, Percy, Krum, Molly, Bill, Fleur, and McGonagall all crowded into the Room of Requirement. Harry had asked Molly and McGonagall to shield the group while everyone summoned the teacup. Ron had asked Neville to join them and insisted he be the one to help Harry actually destroy the cup. Harry and Neville would wait until the cup was being evenly pulled before they attempted to bombard the cup and destroy it.




It was most perplexing that when they removed the shields from the cup, Harry felt no pain. He wondered why, but as soon as the question crossed his mind, the image of Molly Weasley appeared in his mind. Her dark, soft eyes and trim figure weren’t exactly a replica of the woman, who was chatting with Fleur, but it was his image of strength and it was keeping him from the unbearable pain.




Ron and Fred were the first to summon the small porcelain cup, after Molly and Professor McGonagall readied themselves to shield anyone. Once it was balanced between them, Hermione and Remus joined. After them, Tonks and Kingsley cast their charms. Next were Bill and Fleur, followed by Krum and Percy. It was a slow process, but they managed to balance the cup between the ten of them.




A reddish haze began to seep from the cup, and Harry threw a tentative hex at it. Though he wasn’t sure if it had worked, he was perfectly aware that something was working. He and Neville shot many curses, hexes, and spells at it in order to completely destroy it. Finally, after an exhausted “Barragio!” from both of them, the cup cracked.




The haze turned from a gaseous phenomenon to the thickness of blood, and it oozed from several tiny cracks in the cup. The magic of the Horcrux pulled into the cup and shot out at all the people. Molly and McGonagall were able to hold a shield over most everyone, but Ron had to dive in front of Fleur to keep a jagged edge of the cup from hitting her. The cup shattered and as the pieces flew at them, they grew dangerously large. The piece left an offending gash in Ron’s left shoulder, and had to be pulled out of the wound.




At long last, the cup let off a shrill hiss and it disintegrated into dust, leaving nothing but smoke in its place. Hermione examined Ron’s shoulder and patched him up quickly, but decided to take him to the hospital wing to get him a painkilling potion. Everyone else cleaned themselves up and left to enjoy some tea in the Headmistress’ office.




While Molly moved around the room pouring tea, Ron entered the office with Madam Pomfrey.




“I have left the girls in charge of the hospital wing, Headmistress,” she began, “Miss Bones is tending to Mr. Malfoy, and Miss Granger is in the office. I have to go to into London to retrieve supplies for some more Pepper-up Potion. I shan’t be gone an hour,” she said as she fastened her cloak.




With a smile and a wave, McGonagall acknowledged Madam Pomfrey and returned to the people in her office. It was quick and insignificant, and Madam Pomfrey swept out of the castle as she had a hundred times before without so much as a second thought. And it was the last time her friends and patients would see her alive.


Roni by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please Read and Review! How do different people deal with death?
Chapter Fifteen
Roni

Susan sat just behind Malfoy’s curtain, changing the linens of his cot. Hermione checked off a list of things to be done and made quick notes on her paper. She attended to a small first-year with a bloody nose and managed to clean the girl up and send her off to her Potions lesson. Hermione smiled and shook her head at the girl as she ran out of the wing. The clock in the hall rang out the time and she realized it was now five hours after when Madam Pomfrey had told her to expect her return. As soon as she had noticed this, Professor McGonagall, Remus, and Ron entered the wing.

“Hermione, please get Susan and meet us in the office; we need to speak with you both,” Remus murmured to keep from disturbing the patients.

Once they were all settled in the office, Professor McGonagall explained in graphic detail how Madam Pomfrey was attacked in a store just outside Knockturn Alley. The matronly nurse had been brutally beaten to death. Though the girls were shocked beyond words, they knew this meant that until they found a replacement Healer, they were in charge of the hospital wing. Susan choked back tears and hurried out of the room. Hermione couldn’t keep the tears away and wept a little, while Ron patted her back empathetically.

“I know this is hard, Miss Granger, but we believe we have found a suitable replacement,” McGonagall stated.

“You remember Veronica. She is Tonks’ best friend. Well, she has been informed of the situation and says she will be here tomorrow. I know this is very fast and sudden, but we have to keep moving. There will be memorial service for Poppy in a couple of days,” Remus explained carefully.

Her loss felt sudden and sharp. Hermione detachedly followed through with the chores of her work-study. Ron sweetly offered to stay in the wing with her and Susan, but they ushered him out to attend to rounds.

Just before midnight, Veronica Lockhart swept into the Hogwarts hospital wing. She wore long violet robes that accentuated her feminine features, but maximized her professional demeanor. Quietly, so as not to disturb the few resting patients, she waved Hermione into the office as she crossed the hall. Hermione silently nodded and moved to join her, only stopping briefly by Malfoy’s cot to collect Susan.

The door to the office shut with a tight snap behind Susan. Instantly, Veronica grabbed Hermione into a strong hug. Hermione was caught off guard, but returned the embrace with a feeble pat on the back.

“How are you holding up, old girl?” Veronica asked as she squeezed Hermione.

“It’s been rather hard, but Susan and I have been working quite well together. We didn’t expect you until tomorrow,” Hermione said, with clear stress in her voice.

“You must be Susan Bones. Hermione and I met at Remus and Tonks’ wedding,” Veronica said, as she warmly put an arm around Susan’s shoulders.

“It’s nice to meet you, Miss Lockhart. I’m glad you’re here. We have learned so much, but there is still so much more. What do we need to do to get you situated?” Susan asked in a sweet, helpful tone.

“Aren’t you a dear!” Veronica exclaimed. “First of all, you two are to call me ‘Roni,’ just like everyone else. I don’t exactly like my last name, but haven’t found the right bloke to take it away.” She gave a dramatic sigh, causing the girls to sniff and giggle.

“I know you two were quite close to Poppy; she was a damn great lady. And I don’t want you to think I don’t respect her, but she would rather have us plough on and take care of her hospital. So, now that we have the introductions out of the way, let’s get to work,” she said, as she swept off her outer cloak.

The girls watched as she pulled out Madam Pomfrey’s notes and began to mutter as she read through the scribbled remarks of the late nurse.

“It says here, Hermione, that you are excellent at Healing charms and are a quick study at medicinal potions. It also states that you will need work in making out medical reports, working with families, and overall bedside manner. Hermione, I don’t think she is making remarks of weakness in any respect,” she added when she saw Hermione stiffen slightly. “Rather, I think she saw potential in you and wants you to make the most of it. Susan, she said you have excellent bedside manner and are just as strong as Hermione in all things medical, but you often fall to self doubt. I want you to remember that. Madam Pomfrey said you are just as strong a nurse as Hermione. Now that we have the size up of you two, take me around the hall and show me my patients. Afterwards, you two can kip in the office while I pull the late shift. I will wake you for a late breakfast and you two can hold down the hospital until I get situated in my quarters.”

The three women circled the nearly vacant hospital wing. Susan gave a full report on Draco Malfoy. Though he still had no feeling or usage of his left arm, he was regaining strength. Apparently, the potion Snape gave him was some form of poison that, when mixed with the snake venom, turned into a blood-clotting agent, keeping him from bleeding to death. It was a lucky coincidence, but it slowed his overall improvement. Susan mentioned that he could sit up now of his own accord, but had difficulty getting completely out of bed. Malfoy slept peacefully through their discussion and was completely undisturbed when Susan pulled a throw blanket up over his chest.

When they stopped at George’s bed, Hermione gave the report. She explained how George was attacked, leaving out the specifics about the Order meeting. She showed where he had been bound and beaten, and how he had been magically sedated ever since. He was improving slightly. They no longer had to monitor his breathing or vital functions. They simply needed to check the bruising and swelling. Madam Pomfrey had explained to both girls that though his wounds looked less severe that some, the Death Eaters had used certain hexes to ensure he would feel excruciating pain throughout his entire body if he had a single bruise. The diagnosis kept them from waking him completely. Hermione and Susan explained that the Healers from St. Mungo’s and Madam Pomfrey had cast a charm that would allow him to wake only when the pain-causing hex had completely worn out.

By the time the girls were done explaining the various ailments of the few students in the wing, it was nearly two in the morning. Susan opted to stay in the private section near George and Malfoy on an extra cot because Malfoy had a treatment in two hours. That way she could also check George’s status at four.

After Susan disappeared behind the screen, Roni put an arm around Hermione and led her into the office. Roni let Hermione conjure a nice sized cot and dimmed the lights for the tired seventh-year, as she slipped through the door. The door clicked softly as it shut behind her.

Hermione slipped her shoes off and pulled her hair out of the tight bun, letting it fall about her chest and face. She scratched out the pain on her scalp as the waves of exhaust swam over her. She barely realized she had fallen over onto the pillow.

Hermione was quickly falling into the realm of sleep. She could still feel the tenderness in her scalp from pulling her hair too tight. She could smell the clean cotton scent of the sheets and pillow. She felt a pair of strong arms lift her legs onto the cot, and someone gently draped a warm blanket over her. A large hand petted her tired face and pushed her hair back over her forehead. The stranger’s fingers rubbed into her hairline, just past her right ear, and two soft lips placed the softest kiss on her temple.

Clearly asleep, Hermione mumbled a disjointed, “thank you, Roni,” before she was lost to her dreams. Though she wouldn’t remember the dream in the morning, she imagined she heard a scratchy, harsh voice whisper, “I love you so much.”

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning, Ron and Harry joined the girls for their breakfast. Harry practically stalked into the wing, whereas Ron looked like he hadn’t slept all night. Ginny followed them, but instead of talking to any of her friends, she slipped behind the partition and went to sit with George.

Apparently, last night was very event filled. Neville and Luna had a spectacular fight in the Charms corridor. Harry said he had been certain he would have mastered some things in his Auror training, but was rather stuck and expected to have a very hard week because of it. No one was particularly certain what was bothering Ginny, but most everyone was shocked by the sudden death of Madam Pomfrey. More than anything else, the students respected the loss and maintained silence in the halls. Classes had also been cancelled for the day.

Harry was excited to talk to Roni. She had been loads of fun at Remus and Tonks’ wedding. Around noon, she came in and chatted with the kids briefly before throwing them out of the wing, ordering them to use the time to make memories. Harry chuckled at her demand, but considering the circumstances, found it wise.

Susan looked sad and melancholy, but chose to put on a brave face. When she turned to head up to Hufflepuff Hall, Harry caught her hand and gave her a tight hug and kiss on the cheek.

“We are friends, you know,” he whispered to her, “you can talk to us,” he finished, genuinely concerned.

“Harry, you’re very sweet. I know we are friends; I’m just so upset about Madam Pomfrey. I’ve lost so many people in my life; my parents, my auntie, now her. She was my mentor. I don’t know who is going to be next; I don’t know if I could handle it,” she ended with a sigh, as a tear slid down her plump cheek.

“We’re all going to try and make it out of this, and in the end we will do what Roni says and remember these times and not the uglier ones,” Hermione offered.

Susan smiled and stepped away from the three friends. Harry, Ron, and Hermione decided to go visit Hagrid at Harry’s suggestion. He was likely in need of company, if for no other reason than they wanted to see him.

“Ron,” Hermione whispered, as they made their way past fellow students and out the main doors, “do you know if Roni is a member of the Order?”

Ron nodded and gave a brief look around for good measure.

“I think we should invite Susan. I know she is worried about losing people and all, but I think since Malfoy won’t let me near him and Roni and I are in the Order, it would make sense to ask her. We have a meeting at Headquarters in a few days; I would like to propose it then. What do you think?” She asked, turning her head to see his expression.

“Brilliant,” appeared above his head and a little blush crawled up both their cheeks. Thankfully, Harry was more than willing to ignore them. When they got to Hagrid’s they were surprised at what they saw. Not only was his old shack gone, but a newer, larger shack had been built in its place.

It was remarkable how similar the new home was to the old one. When they approached the door and gave a hearty knock, they were shocked when the door swung violently open and off its hinges. Their eyes traveled up the giant’s body and paused at his face.

“Hermy?” Grawp asked, with a huge, toothy smile. A booming giggle erupted from behind him.

“E’s a good lad, wouldn’t cha say?” Hagrid smiled as he pulled the trio and his brother back into the house.

The inside looked almost as though it had never changed, only enlarged. Hagrid had added another huge bed for Grawp, and Harry could see where the bed frame had been crushed by the immense weight of the giant. Fang was asleep on Hagrid’s chair, and a large pot sat on the stove. The house smelled of the thick stew Hagrid was preparing.

The trio braved through an invitation to stay for lunch, and was relieved to find that the stew was quite good. It warmed their tired bodies and invigorated their exhausted minds. Before long, their conversation shifted towards the memorial.

The beloved nurse was to be buried next to Dumbledore in a small, grey tomb. The memorial was to be the next morning. Hagrid informed them that the ceremony would be considerably informal and that only the seventh years were allowed to go because of security reasons. They sat and talked about the woman who had mended all their wounds over the last six years. Hagrid even shared some of his memories.

“An’ then, ‘Arry, your da’ and Sirius come runnin’ into the wing at full speed. Sirius drops to a knee and proposes ri’ then an’ there while James throws her into a dip an’ tries to steal a kiss. She was eight shades of red, she was. Cor’ they had her good ‘n’ distracted, so Peter snuck ol’ Remus out of ‘is cot. Once they see he’s gon’ James drops ‘er on a cot, grabs Sirius by the neck an’ tear outta there.”

“And all of that was just because Remus bet Sirius he couldn’t get him out of the hospital a day early?” Harry laughed out loud.

“Oh yeah, then there was the time, in their seventh year min’, Lily was right angry at Sirius for ‘accidentally’ announcing to the entire Great Hall that she and James were finally an item. I’ would ‘ave bee’ a’righ’ if he hadn’ shown all those pictures of James an’ Lily neckin’ ou’ by the lake.” Hagrid heaved out a hearty laugh at the thought.

“I can’t believe Sirius would do something like that! To his best friend even!” Hermione exclaimed, blushing.

“Well, Lily was ne’er a sit an’ watch kin’ a girl. She got ‘er revenge. Best story I ever heard Poppy tell. Apparently, she managed to put a Permanent Sticking Charm in a very unpleasant place, and Sirius had to walk all the way from the dungeons with on’ han’ down ‘is pants. Poppy said she ‘ad the hardest time keepin’ a straight face.”

By the time the stories ended, everyone had laughed harder than they had in days. They said their goodbyes to Hagrid and Grawp and made their way back to the castle. The late November air clipped at their cheeks and they shivered as they crept up the darkening grounds.

Once inside, Harry turned to go to the kitchens to grab a few snacks and then go check on Susan. Once he was out of sight, Ron bravely put an arm around Hermione’s shoulders. When she turned to look up at him, it was very clear that he was concerned about her.

“I’m fine,” she said, before he could pantomime the question, “I’ve just never lost someone this close to me. I loved your father and Sirius, but she was so kind and encouraging. I’ve learned so much from her, and I know I can learn from Roni too, but now I feel kind of lost.”

Ron opened his mouth to pop in a Said-Head pill, but she stopped him.

“I know you’re here for me, just like I’m here for you, but it’s still hard. I guess this kind of loss just makes a person feel lonely even when the best people in the world surround you.”

Just outside the Fat Lady’s portrait, Ron Weasley held Hermione Granger in a tight embrace. His fingers tangled in her wild hair; her hand slipped up and grazed the light stubble on his cheek. Their eyes held fast in each other’s gaze. She rose up and he bent down, connecting their foreheads. Hermione’s eyes fluttered shut as Ron’s cheek caressed hers. Mere millimeters away from the pink corner of her mouth, Ron closed his eyes to kiss the only girl he ever wanted to kiss. It was the perfect moment. And in that perfect moment, Seamus and Dean came stumbling out of portrait hole as it swung open violently, breaking Ron and Hermione apart.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The memorial was quick and very respectful of the amazing woman they laid to rest. Most of the Order was in attendance, though Roni chose to stay in the hospital so Susan and Hermione could go to the service. Remus, with clear strain in his voice, spoke of memories and moments of Madam Pomfrey. Moody even shed a tear. As Harry held a weeping Susan, he looked out into the crowd. He was completely in awe of how many women Madam Pomfrey had touched in her life. Outside of the Order, there were at least a hundred people gathered in respectful peace for the adored.

Once back in the common room, Ron and Hermione sat with their friends. Neville sat noticeably away from the group. Hermione had pointed out to Ron that Neville was still coping with the sudden loss of his grandmother. Ron, being a good friend, slid into the seat across from Neville, while Hermione watched on from the other side of the room.

Hermione watched for a moment before turning back to her conversation with Dean. While he was asking her a question about the properties of the rose root, Ron slipped Neville a note across the small table, where they had started a chess game. Out of the corner of her eye, Hermione could see Neville reading the note. He laughed for a moment, then overturned the chessboard and stalked out the portrait hole.

Hermione, ignoring Dean’s question, went over to Ron. She picked up the note he had scribbled; it read:

We are here for you, if you need us.

“That was very sweet. You did the right thing,” she said to Ron, who looked deeply troubled at Neville’s response. “Why don’t you see if you can find Luna? I’ll catch up to Neville. Meet you on the third floor corridor, the one Fluffy guarded, in ten minutes?”

When Ron nodded his agreement, she fled out the door in search of the grieving boy. A short while later, she found him and dragged him up to the once forbidden hallway, on the pretense that she thought there might be a dangerous mold growing thanks to Peeves. Neville, albeit grudgingly, agreed and trudged up the hallway.

Once inside, Neville became blatantly aware that Hermione had lied to him. But as he prepared to storm out of the room again, Ron burst through carrying a slimy and unconscious Luna. Her hair was slicked back as yellowish pus oozed out of her golden tresses and slopped onto the floor with a sickening plop. The easily recognizable Bubotuber pus was caked onto her face and arms.

Ron placed her gently on the floor beside Hermione and, though his arms were lathered in the painful grease, ran to get help.

“Why didn’t he just take her directly to the hospital wing?” Neville asked, panicked.

“Not now, give me your cloak!” Hermione snapped as she whipped out her wand and began to clean Luna’s exposed skin.

She took Neville’s cloak and carefully wrapped Luna’s head in it. Hermione knew there would be permanent damage to the scalp, but it was much more important to get it off her face. If it was ingested it could be lethal, and Hermione knew that was already a possibility. There was so much pus that Luna’s skin hadn’t yet developed the dangerous boils. As Hermione cleaned the pus off her eyes, boils immediately began to develop.

Moments later, Ron dragged Roni into the corridor by her cloak. The seconds ticked away as they worked feverishly to clean enough of the pus off to move her to the hospital wing. Ron had collapsed, shaking, on the floor. The pus was causing his skin to scream in pain. His arms and neck were covered with large, ominous boils.

“Longbottom, right?” Roni asked. “Help Ron down to the hospital and have Susan take care of him. Hermione and I are going to take Luna to St. Mungo's. Tell Susan that one of us will be back in an hour.” With that, she took off her bracelet, muttered, “Portus medicalus,” and they were gone.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

An hour later, Neville paced in the hospital wing. Susan told Ron he would have to stay at least one night to make sure his boils healed without infection. He had carried Luna from Neville’s private gardens on the roof all the way to the third floor corridor. He explained that he intended to go straight to the hospital, but the searing pain wouldn’t allow him to carry her the whole way. When Neville heard this, he went up to the garden he and Professor Sprout had built. It was his project. He was working to produce several plants vital to potion making, but since his grandmother’s death, his work had slipped. Some of his plants were weak, but most were salvageable.

Luna had always enjoyed helping him with the plants, and when he pushed her and his work away, she had tried to help him by keeping his plants alive. It was clear to see that some had gotten unruly and it was only a matter of time before someone tripped over the exposed root and burst the huge Bubotuber pods.

When Neville returned to the hospital and resumed pacing, Susan was so distracted by him that she didn’t even notice when Hermione burst through the doors.

“She’s coming back! Its okay! We have to get a bed ready,” Hermione exclaimed, as she reached for a bed a few feet away from Ron.

As the girls busied themselves and prepared the cot, Neville sank onto the foot of Ron’s bed. Hermione slowed her work when she saw the look of pure desperation on Neville’s face.

“They had to shave her head because the pus was soaked into her scalp. She has bandages all around her arms, like Ron there, but on her neck, shoulders, and face too. We got her there in enough time to keep the poison completely out of her system. She was really lucky. Ron must have found her when it had just happened.” Hermione whispered so only the four of them could hear.

“She was screaming when I found her, collapsed only one flight down. Carried her from there,”
Ron provided.

A second later, Roni appeared with Luna in a stretcher. Susan raised a privacy partition, and the boys waited eagerly to see how their young friend was feeling. Hermione left Roni and Susan to move Luna into her new bed and slipped around to see Ron.

“Well how are you doing, superman?” she asked good-naturedly, as she carefully examined Susan’s bandaging.

Ron looked at her in confusion, but shrugged.

“Superman is a Muggle hero, saves damsels in distress, that sort of thing. I’m pretty proud of you. You saved her life, you didn’t make any rash decisions, and you took control of the situation. You could have left her there, but you were willing to take on that unholy pain,” Hermione said proudly.

Again Ron shrugged, but a hideous red blush crept up his neck.

“Neville?” a very weak voice called from behind the partition.

Roni lit the candle next to Luna’s cot and changed places with Neville. As their friend slipped around the partition, they could barely hear the gentle whispering, but they watched the shadow of Neville take one of Luna’s bandaged hands and hold it carefully in his own.

“I’m so sorry, Luna. I shouldn’t have left the garden. It has become dangerous. I can’t say how sorry I am,” Neville choked out in a heavy whisper.

“I’m sorry too. I shouldn’t have yelled at you. I know how hard your grandmother’s loss was, but I wanted you back. I wanted that sweet friend who was calm and gentle. I went in the garden looking for you. I know you told me not to worry about you, but I can’t help it. I was so worried about you. I just, I just care about you.” Her strained voice had lost all of its dreaminess.

The three eavesdroppers watched as Luna pulled Neville’s hand to her face. Neville leaned down to place a gentle peck on her forehead and left her to rest. His face shone bright pink as he saw that Roni, Hermione, and Ron had been watching them.

Hermione cleared her throat and took a tentative step towards Neville. “We didn’t mean to watch, but we couldn’t look away. She is our friend and so are you. We have been so worried, Neville. Please don’t be angry,” she said softly, hoping he would stay calm.

“This is my fault. She wouldn’t have been in the garden if I hadn’t pushed her away. Ron wouldn’t have gone looking for her if I hadn’t pushed him away. I nearly killed the sweetest person I know and one of the best friends I’ve ever had. I know I have been horrible and I’m sorry, but right now I need to go somewhere to think,” he replied in a monotone voice.

They watched him as he slid past the beds and out of the wing. As they watched him leave they noticed Professor McGonagall and Harry quietly making their way into the wing. Harry’s eyes slid over the few patients and came to a halt on Ron.

“I’m sorry I wasn’t here sooner, but I have been trying to destroy that dagger. Moody thinks it may have different protection than the cup. Regardless, the thing is still intact,” Harry whispered to his friends.

“You know, I was worried you were too young for the position you came into recently,” McGonagall said to Roni, abruptly changing subjects, “but you have proven today that you are more than qualified, in my eyes at least. I wanted to check on you and Miss Lovegood. She is alright?”

“Going to be just fine in a few days, though she will have to wait a week or so before we can re-grow her hair,” Roni provided.

“Very well. Before I leave, I wanted to inform you that because of the ever-growing danger and the fact that he is here at least once a week anyhow, I have chosen to hire a second caretaker. He will assist Mr. Filch in all things around Hogwarts. I believe you two know him,” McGonagall gestured to Ron and Hermione. “May I introduce our new caretaker, Mr. Fred Weasley.”
Holding Your Breath by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please Read and Review.
Chapter Sixteen
Holding your breath

Fred and Filch were seen all over the castle in the following days. Because there were now two caretakers, Filch opted to work in the evenings, leaving Fred to handle the general upkeep during the day.

Fred seemed to love his job. He explained to Harry that since the shop was destroyed and George was still unconscious, Fleur had been helping him start up the mail order again. She sent it off to Gabrielle at Beaubatons and negotiated a deal with Zonko’s. They would sell half of Weasley Wizarding Wheezes’ former stock if they could get fifteen percent of the overall profit. They had enough in stock to get through the Christmas season at Hogwarts and keep up with the demand of the French school.

Fleur had taken over a lot of the business aspect of the shop once they got the mail order in place. She had even enlisted Verity, the sweet girl who worked at the shop, to help with the supply and would send her to Hogwarts to get more products from Fred.

Luna was released after a week in the hospital wing. She wore a beautiful blue scarf around her head until Roni declared she would start growing Luna’s hair back one inch a day until Luna was satisfied. She had to go slowly so the hair would cover the scar tissue on her head.

Neville had remained distant until the day Luna was released. As she walked out the doors with Hermione’s help, he came up to the two girls and offered Luna his arm instead. After that, it was hard to find one without the other. They spent a great deal of time rebuilding his garden on the roof and Professor Sprout, who was concerned with its upkeep, was astounded to see that Neville had let a great deal of the wild growth stay. He kept everything trim and safe, and she remarked that it was beautiful, despite its untamed appearance.

Ron was a little sceptical about Fred coming back to Hogwarts as a new caretaker. Percy was already there, as was George in a sense. He wasn’t sure if he liked the idea of having yet another older brother there. But, one night after doing his rounds, Ron heard Fred having a talk with Peeves and Moaning Myrtle.

“Now, I know you two like mischief, but you also love Hogwarts. From now on, you can pull as many pranks as you like, but there are some conditions. You have to run your prank ideas by me. I ask purely for my amusement, not to stop you. The second is that I want you to keep an eye on Hogwarts. Myrtle, watch the Chamber of Secrets and the lake. All things water is your domain. Peeves, I need you to watch out for any bad behaviour. I don’t mean the kind I used to pull, but stuff like Death Eater activity. Understand?” He asked in a commanding voice.

“We keep watch and you’ll let us play?” Peeves songlike voice chimed with glee.

“That’s the deal. Also, Peeves, keep an eye out for old Filch. He’s not as young as he once was and with this war, he is not someone we can afford to lose,” Fred said heavily.

At that point, Ron moved on, but he couldn’t help but think that Fred just got the Order two very important allies. Myrtle could let them know if Hogwarts had been breeched through the Chamber, and having Peeves on their side meant there was someone who could keep an eye on all of Hogwarts. Peeves could tell the right people if there was a serious problem, and that meant they would have an advantage if the castle were attacked.

The next Order meeting was back at Headquarters. Ron, Hermione, and Harry took a Portkey to Grimmauld Place. The large house was becoming less and less like the grim, old place it once was. The walls were decorated with pictures of friends and family of the Order. The kitchen had been expanded and now everyone in the Order could sit comfortably.

Molly Weasley made tea for everyone while the discussions began. She was proud to hear Remus and Ron praise Fred for taking initiative and encouraging Myrtle and Peeves to help them. She smiled fondly at Hermione when she proposed that Susan Bones be permitted into the Order, and when Harry and Ron proposed that Neville should be permitted as well. She listened intently at the reports and theories surrounding Death Eater activity. And when the night was over, she hugged her children goodbye as they vanished with the Portkey back to Hogwarts.

Once back at the castle, Ron and Harry were surprised to see letters sitting on their beds. Harry tore into his, assuming it was from his Aunt.

Harry,
Mum asked me to write if you happened to write. Your bird showed up, without a letter I might add. Apparently, Dad saw Mum trying to activate the mirror a few nights ago and hid it from her. She said they have been fighting a great deal lately. She wanted me to ask you if you could come home for Christmas. Dad has a Christmas party to go to on Christmas evening and she would like to see you. I’m coming home as well. If you could send a reply, I would be very happy because then Mum will quit nagging at me to write you.

If you tell her I said that, I will turn into the complete brut I used to be.
Dudley.

Harry was never one to write back quickly, but thought he had been rather neglectful towards Dudley, who was obviously attempting to heal old wounds. He took out a parchment and quill and scribed a quick note to his cousin.

Big D~
I didn’t know about the mirror, but I will make sure it’s taken care of. As for Christmas, tell Aunt Petunia I will be there at seven o’clock and will bring a few of my friends. Once I get a head count, I will ask Moody or Remus to let her know who all is coming. By the way, I have no idea what to get you two for Christmas; any hints would be considerably appreciated.

Talk to you soon,
Harry

Harry was about to fetch Hedwig when Ron stopped him. He grabbed Harry and forcefully shoved his letter into Harry’s hand.

Mr. Weasley,
We are very pleased with the progress your healing has taken. Because you have improved so rapidly, we would like to see if we could schedule the final phase of your healing for the second week of February. This will consist of you coming to St. Mungo’s and undergoing the magical operation to restore your vocal activity. It is not without its risks; you will be rendered unconscious during the procedure, and though the results are generally immediate, there is no guarantee it will be successful. Please send us your reply as soon as possible so we can schedule the appropriate specialists to attend.

Sincerely,
Cyrus Strepp
St. Mungo’s Hospital for Magical Maladies and Injuries

“This means you are getting your voice back!” Harry exclaimed as he clapped Ron on the back.

Ron popped a little white pill into his mouth and Harry waited for the bubble to reveal what Ron wanted to say.

“Harry, I heard Hermione tell Susan that this procedure is very delicate. I don’t know if I can go through with it,” Ron thought dejectedly.

“Look at it this way, have you ever wanted to say something to someone? You have your chance to do it now. If you could tell your mother you loved her one more time, call Hermione a nag one more time, what would it mean to you? Just don’t give up on a great opportunity because you are afraid,” Harry said with what he hoped was wisdom.

Ron took in Harry’s words as Harry grabbed his letter to Dudley and left to find Hedwig. He got just outside the Fat Lady’s portrait when he realized it was after hours and he didn’t have his cloak. Remembering that this past week in Auror training had taught them how to Disillusion themselves, Harry cast the spell on himself and treaded down the corridors quietly. Because Fred was now a caretaker, Harry didn’t want to run the risk of getting caught or putting Fred in an awkward situation.

Once Harry saw Hedwig out the window with his letter, he let himself wander for a while. He knew Susan was probably alone in the hospital wing and decided to go check on her. Still invisible, he slipped into the wing. He passed George’s cot, where George remained perfectly still. He eased his way past Malfoy’s cot. His blonde nemesis was wide awake and picking at the cotton of his sheets. Though Harry was sorely tempted to pummel Malfoy for all past grievances, he kept moving, looking for Susan.

He silently slid past Malfoy and looked for Susan in the office. After a thorough search, Harry could not find Susan. He was becoming worried, but as he was about to leave again and search for her, Malfoy spoke out.

“I would have told you if you had just asked, Potter,” Malfoy said in a bored voice.

“How did you know I was here?” Harry asked in surprised distain, while taking the charm off and reappearing.

“Oh, do calm down! I can’t swat at a fly, much less hurt you. I can see you because the Dark Lord taught us to see our enemies. You hate me, the feeling is mutual, therefore I can see you,” Malfoy drawled.

“Why would you tell me this? Wouldn’t you want to protect your darling Dark Lord?” Harry asked sardonically.

“I do what is best for me. Last year, it was best for me to make amends with the Dark Lord. He would have killed my mother otherwise. Today, I lay broken and feeble. The world thinks I’m dead with few exceptions; it is best for me to do as I’m told and get stronger,” Malfoy said with more effort in his voice.

“I’m almost sorry for you, Malfoy, almost. You didn’t have to go to him. It has been done before. You could have broken away from him, but you chose to help him. You agreed to kill Dumbledore. I know we never got along and we never will, but I would have helped you! Any of us would have helped you if you had only asked!” Harry exclaimed severely.

“Potter, your choice has always been to fight or die. You always choose to fight. My choice was betrayal or death. Betrayal ultimately leads to death and was never really an option. Think of Black. He broke away from his family, but he had the support of his friends. Who’ve I got? Crabbe and Goyle, do you think they would help me break out of the clutches of the Dark Lord if I wanted it? Of course not! You had a choice; I was slated for Azkaban or death. I don’t have the luxury of choice,” Malfoy steeled his voice to match Harry’s.

“You had that choice! You agreed to become a murderer to protect your parents. They are murderers too! How could you agree to that!?” Harry yelled.

“My mother is not a murderer! I know exactly who my father is and I will not become him, but I would not abandon her!” Malfoy spat back.

In that moment, Harry realized Malfoy was not who Harry thought he was. He was not loyal to Voldemort. He was self-serving, arrogant, and loyal only to his mother.

“Look Malfoy, we are never going to get along,” Harry began and Malfoy snorted, “but I am so tired of fighting, especially with you. Do you know where Susan is?” Harry asked wearily.

“What’s in it for me?” Malfoy asked without blinking.

Harry rolled his eyes and crossed his arms over his chest, “What do you want?”

“I want three things; the first is for you to go back over the questions you asked me. Then think if there are any other things you want to ask. I will tell you the truth. Being on your good side might help me in the end. Second, in my moneybag, there is a small, gold bracelet. It was my mother’s, but she gave it to me the day before we were attacked. Bring it to me, but make sure it isn’t cursed if you can. Last, I know you know things about both sides. Find out if my mother is alive,” Malfoy demanded.

“All this just to find out where Susan is, oh fine, but I better get a lot more information when I question you,” Harry said.

“Because that new Healer and Granger had a meeting, Susan had to work alone tonight. She worked through dinner and is in the kitchens getting something to eat. She told her owl to retrieve her if any of the patients need her,” he answered simplistically.

“Are you boys playing nice?” Susan’s sweet voice asked as she looped her wrist into the crook of Harry’s elbow.

“I told you I would behave upon bribery of chocolate!” Malfoy exclaimed, holding out his good hand.

Susan laughed and handed him a small stash of Honeyduke’s chocolates.

“Remind me to be in your charge if I ever fall ill,” Harry said incredulously.

“I’ll keep that in mind. Now, what brings you up here this late?” She asked, looking at the clock behind her.

“I wanted to know if you would like to go on a date with me tomorrow night. I have it on good authority that Neville, Ron, and Hermione are coming too. Roni said she would take a double shift so we could get out,” Harry said, putting on a few dramatic airs.

Malfoy looked like he was going to be sick and watched intently.

“Well, Harry, you’re not really my type, but since I know you are going to come up here and drag me away anyhow, sure!” she said with a laugh when Harry scrunched up his nose.

“You wound me madam! Right in the ego!” Harry protested as he clutched his heart.

“Oh, get out of my hospital before I tell Filch there’s a student out of bed!” she screeched as she tried to swat at him with a pillow.

Harry only laughed and turned to run out of the wing.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning, Harry contacted Moody about Malfoy. The famed Auror sent word back to Harry that he would come to the castle for Harry’s next Auror training session.

Around dinnertime, Hermione and Harry walked towards Hufflepuff Hall to search for Susan. She and Neville would be formally invited to join the Order of the Phoenix and the trio was anxious to see their responses. Once they had collected her, they made their way towards Hagrid’s hut. Ron and Neville were already inside.

As soon as Hermione closed the door behind her, Remus stepped out of the shadows and pointed his wand at Neville. Ron pointed his wand at Susan and stared at her, mimicking Remus’ actions.

“Do you swear on your lives that you will not repeat the information spoken in this place and time?” Remus commanded forcefully.

“I do,” Neville managed to squeak.

“I do as well,” Susan gasped, genuinely afraid.

“Sorry, but we have to do that.” Remus began taking down his wand. “Your friends and I are a part of an organization founded by Albus Dumbledore. We actively work against Voldemort and his Death Eaters. We are a family and you two have been proposed by the people surrounding you, to join our family. You must swear your loyalty to our Order. You must be willing to risk more than we have the right to ask in order to protect what the Order stands for, and you must be willing to be a part of the family we have developed. Do you understand?” Remus sounded so formal when he gave the official invitation.

Harry couldn’t help but smile as Neville looked at him for support. Hermione put a comforting hand on Susan’s shoulder.

“Do we have to accept?” Susan asked nervously.

“No, you don’t. We want you to be a part of this. We want you to be like a sister, with old Remus here as the father,” Harry offered, pointing at Remus.

“Susan, what this infant is saying,” Remus began, pulling a face at Harry, “is simply that they trust you enough to fight for them and they want you to let them fight for you.”

Hermione watched as Susan fought an inner battle, but Neville distracted her.

“I’ll join,” Neville said resolutely.

“I’m so scared to lose anyone else. I think if I don’t do this I will lose you anyhow, but if I do, it will make it hurt worse,” Susan cried into her hands.

“I know you’re worried, Susan. After my Gran died, I thought I’d never be able to care about anyone again. Then I almost lost one of the only people I have left. I didn’t want her to die thinking I was angry with her. I couldn’t push her away anymore,” Neville whispered to her.

“Alright, I’ll join,” Susan sniffed at Neville’s words.

“Do you swear you shall never betray those in the Order of the Phoenix? Do you choose to fight against dark magic and wizards, in hope that our world will become safer? Do you choose to let those in the Order fight for you?” Remus asked the same three questions he had asked of Hermione, Ron, and Harry at their initiation.

“I do,” they echoed together.

Remus pulled out a small slip of paper. It was old and slightly tattered, but the familiar loopy handwriting of Albus Dumbledore was clear.

The Headquarters of the Order of the Phoenix is located at number twelve Grimmauld Place.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

When Mad-Eye walked into Harry’s training session, Harry was duelling vigorously with Ron and Tonks. They were working on how to react when they were outnumbered. Harry held up quite well until Ron caught him off guard with a flame-throwing hex. Harry was able to dive out of the way, but it was clear he was done.

Moody laughed as Ron and Harry collapsed on the bench next to him. They paid Mad-Eye no attention until after they watched Hannah fend off both Seamus and Kingsley. They all had their strengths. Ron was far more advanced in nonverbal magic since he had lost his voice and Flitwick had been tutoring him. Dean was working well with the team. He was very good at getting to the person who needed the most help. Hannah was by far their strongest offensive member, but it was hard for her to keep the whole battle in perspective. Seamus had proven to be really good when ambushed. He was always on alert and could react quickly. As for Harry, Tonks and Kingsley told him they were proud of his overall performance, but he didn’t see anything particularly special about his abilities in comparison to his teammates.

“Well, laddie, it seems young Malfoy might know a bit more than what we got out of him. Do you have any idea why he is suddenly trying to bait you to re-examine his information?” Moody asked after Dean, Seamus, and Hannah had left their training room.

“I think he wants information on his mother. He also said he is doing what is best for him. I don’t get that though. Wouldn’t the best thing be for him to re-join the Death Eaters? Shouldn’t he be looking for a way back to them. When this is all over, he will either be killed by them for hiding so long or go to Azkaban. If he tries to get back with them now, he might be able to swing favour with Voldemort,” Harry suggested to Moody.

“The only thing that kept him on their side was the threat of his mother’s murder. If Narcissa is still alive, he might try to go back, but on the other hand, it could also jeopardize her life. Voldemort used Narcissa as blackmail over young Draco. If she is alive, at least he doesn’t have to live with her death on his hands. We must also keep in mind that there is only one person he really communicates with and that is Susan Bones. If she isn’t a good influence on him, no one will be,” Moody finished with authority.

“Why don’t we get cleaned up and you two can go ask him more questions. I’ll get after Hermione and see if we can’t find that bracelet,” Ron suggested, as he wiped his sweaty face with his sleeve.

Harry nodded an equally sweaty head, and the three men headed towards the showers. Moody waited for them and soon they were off to hear a few more tales from Draco Malfoy.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

“You said we should take a closer look at the questions we asked you when you were first captured, correct?” Harry asked Malfoy in a painfully pleasant voice.

Malfoy nodded.

“Can we assume you were able to evade some truths in our line of questioning?” Moody asked, without emotion.

Again, Malfoy nodded.

“Is there a reason why you cannot verbally answer us?” Moody inquired.

“I can answer that,” Susan offered from behind them.

She lifted Malfoy’s disfigured arm gently and pulled back the bandaging. Though the arm was twisted and lifeless, the Dark Mark shone as clearly on the skin as it always had. There was something very peculiar about Malfoy’s mark. It looked like all the rest, except the eyes were not the same colour. They were less ominous and more lifelike.

“The spell he used to burn the mark into his arm has now been equipped with an anti-betrayal spell. Of course it is very complex, but from what I understand, Malfoy cannot speak any information against the Dark Lord. If he betrays him, even by one word, the eyes will illuminate and bring unbearable pain into his entire body. The pain will grow until his mind shuts down. Somewhat like a timed Cruciatus Curse, only slower,” Susan explained, as she softly wrapped Malfoy’s arm and placed it on his stomach, “I’ll be in the office if you need anything.”

“So, what did we ask that he could have evaded?” Moody questioned to Harry.

“Are there seven Horcruxes?” Harry asked. Malfoy nodded.

“Is one of them Voldemort’s snake?” Harry asked again.

Malfoy made no movements.

“Is one of them the Ravenclaw blade?” Moody broke in. Malfoy shook his head. He said he didn’t know what they were, but he knew that the dagger wasn’t one. “That’s it, isn’t it?” Moody said eagerly, as he watched Malfoy nod again.

“Potter, that is the best I can do for now. I may know more soon. Don’t ask me how. But now it is your turn, did you find the bracelet?” Malfoy spat.

“Hermione is looking for it,” Harry said quietly.

“And what of my mother?” Malfoy questioned hastily.

“We don’t know, boy. She is no longer in the Death Eater circles, but she has not been found. The magical records at the Ministry imply that she is not dead. I’m sorry for that,” Moody answered sincerely.

A moment later, Hermione came around the partition with the gold bracelet in hand.

“It’s perfectly safe. It’s not a Portkey either, Moody, before you even ask,” Hermione chirped as she laid the lovely chain in Malfoy’s hand and walked away.

As Harry and Moody stepped away from Malfoy, they smiled at Fred and Roni decorating the wing for Christmas. The holiday was now only three weeks away. Fred hung ornaments on a small tree in the office, while Roni put up Madam Pomfrey’s old garlands.

Moody whispered to Harry that they would work on this new development about the Horcruxes immediately after the holidays and for now it would be best to wait. Moody said goodbye to the people in the wing, leaving Harry to watch Fred try to convince Roni that George would want to be decorated.

When he failed miserably, he offered to pipe some very nice Christmas music into the wing. When Roni consented, she didn’t realize that Fred meant immediately and was literally swept off her feet when Fred lifted her off the ground and danced a disjointed waltz with her. Susan and Harry laughed at the two, but joined in the fun.

As Christmas loomed nearer, everyone felt like they were finally able to exhale, if even for a moment.
Unimaginable by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please read and review. Please have mrsgeorgeweasley moderate.
Chapter Seventeen
Unimaginable

Harry appeared next to Tonks and Hermione, laughing at the fact that Tonks still couldn’t Apparate without falling over and taking someone with her. He moved quickly and helped Hermione to her feet. Though they were all happy to be celebrating the holidays with their friends, Harry and Hermione were very disappointed.

Ron and Ginny had chosen to stay behind at Hogwarts. Ron argued that since Remus would be at Headquarters during the holidays, it would be best for him to stay at the castle. Ginny simply said that she wanted to stay with Colin, much like Fred had refused to leave George. Since Percy was now a teacher, he was required to stay, but he wasn’t bothered by it.

Harry couldn’t help but think that the real reason why so many of the Weasley children chose to stay away was because this would be their first Christmas without their father. Arthur had always been so jovial and kind; this would undoubtedly be a very difficult time.

In the end, Ron ushered Harry and Hermione out of the dormitory. Harry tried to put his worries aside and help decorate Grimmauld Place. The house was completely renewed. Everything was cheerful and bright. Molly had obviously taken over the kitchen because amazing smells wafted through the whole space.

Hermione and Harry spent a great deal of time chatting with Molly. They all laughed, hearing stories of the Weasley Christmases past. Remus listened in on several of their conversations and liked telling stories about the holidays he shared with the Marauders.

“The year your folks got married, Harry, James had no idea what to get Lily. He searched all over Hogsmeade and London trying to find a decent present. Finally, I asked Lily what she wanted, art supplies, and told James putting him out of his misery. Would have been fine, if Sirius hadn’t pointed out that it was completely unoriginal and boring. It was a sad moment for James. He became even more worked up.

‘Finally, I suggested that he take her to Paris to see some of the art at the Lourve. So he set up a very romantic excursion. They bashed around Paris’ museums, drank a lot of excellent wine, and came back with a hundred memories. When they returned, James surprised her with a small art studio in the attic of their old house. He sent in a crew of workers, namely me, Sirius, and Peter, to set up easels, canvases, and all things artistic. I’ve never seen her happier. She kissed James, and then she kissed the rest of us. Course Sirius wouldn’t be himself if he hadn’t put her in a dip and tried to slip her the tongue. And that’s the story of how Sirius found out how dangerous a SpitFire can really be,” Moony finished dramatically.

Molly was laughing heavily behind the towel she held in her hand and Hermione let out an uncharacteristic giggle.

“Oh no, what happened?” Hermione exclaimed excitedly.

“She took a swing at him and missed. Then she spat at his leg causing clothes caught fire, and levitated him out of the house stark naked,” Remus said in a bored voice.

By this time, Harry was laughing forcefully, “Did Mum and Sirius ever get along?” He choked out.

“Oh, Sirius loved Lily. We all did. James was his best friend, so when they got married, Sirius assumed that she wanted to be married to him as well. It was so strange when I would give Lily a hug or kiss to say ‘hello,’ and they would both yell, ‘Get your hands off my wife!” Remus smiled fondly at the memory, “The moment they arrived at the reception of their wedding, Sirius asked her when she would come to her senses and run off with him. It was just a running gag. He never really made her angry or upset, but if he tried something you could bet that Lily would put him in his place.”

The friends enjoyed reminiscing but soon it was Christmas Eve and Harry remembered that he was going to the Dursleys. Harry was nervous at best. He hadn’t had a Christmas at the Dursleys’ in years. Remus had gone by to see Harry’s aunt the previous week. He told Harry that he, Molly, Tonks, Moody, Hermione and Harry would be going. Kingsley had also worked out a way to keep Vernon out of the house in case they needed extra time.

On Christmas morning Harry woke to find several large presents waiting for him. Hedwig was already weighed down with presents from Fred, Ginny, Susan, Ron, and Neville. He hurried to help her and smiled at the incredible gifts.

Fred had bought him a Remembrall. This one was larger than Neville’s had been and supposed to be much more accurate. Ron had bought an amazing stash of sweets as well as a real golden Snitch. Harry was in awe of his present, but put it aside making a mental note to thank Ron heartily.

Neville gave Harry a book on Herbology. It described how magical gardens could be designed defensive strategies. The book detailed a way to manipulate the structure of several deadly plants to attack unwanted guests or intruders. At the very least, Harry thought that it would be an interesting read and set it aside to read Susan’s card.

Harry, you have been so sweet to me, I had no idea what to get you. I hope you like it.
Susan Bones

Harry tore into the package and pulled out a picture of him and Susan. They were dancing, twirling madly to the music Fred had piped into the hospital wing. Harry didn’t even remember someone snapping a picture. He could see Hermione spinning wildly with Roni in the background, so he assumed that Fred was the photographer.

Lastly, he picked up Ginny’s present. He was hesitant to open it, because he felt so strongly for her, but he knew he had to see what she had gotten him. He opened the slender box carefully and eased out five beautiful quills.

Harry
The quills are made from the phoenixes your mother branded. I thought you would like to have a piece of them. They each donated a tail-feather. I hope you have a great holiday. See you when you get back to Hogwarts.

Ginny Weasley

Harry couldn’t help but smile at the stunning quills. Each one was a different colour: white, red, navy, black and green. He thought of Voerlute, the only phoenix he had seen since the Awakening. She was the white one. She was so white, that when the light caught her feathers, she would shine a golden hue. He was lost in his thoughts until Hermione came in.

“Merry Christmas, Harry,” she said as she crossed the room to kiss his cheek. “And thank you for those huge volumes on Healing. You and Ron must have spent a fortune on those things!”

Harry laughed and draped an arm over her shoulder, “They weren’t, really. Susan got the same thing from us only different texts. Together you have ten enormous books on medicine and Healing. You have to share but we thought you would both be happy.”

“Remind me to give Ron a huge hug when we get back,” Hermione chuckled, “I have your present, too. I wasn’t sure what to get you this year, but quite literally something fell out of the air,” she ended with mystery.

Harry tore into a thin box and stared at a gilded picture frame. He smiled as he saw that it was not another picture, but actually a letter.

My dear friend,
Regardless of whether or not we know each other, I can guarantee that you know someone I love very much. I know this because you own Mercutio. He is a phoenix that I branded and have predetermined for your ownership.

My son is Harry James Potter. I have chosen Mercutio to be bound to a person that has shown my son unwavering loyalty and friendship. Help him with all that he has before him and please tell him that I love him, so very much.

In friendship,
Lily Potter

Harry gazed for some time at his mother’s letter. He smiled at her neat penmanship as Hermione explained its origin.

“A few days ago this beautiful bird landed on my shoulder. He appeared out these amazing flames and scared me half to death. Thank heavens Ginny had been with me or I wouldn’t have any idea what was going on. She told me that when Mercutio gave me his tail-feather, it meant that he was meant to be with me. The next day, I went to show Ron the feather, but it was gone. In its place was this letter. I thought you would like to have it,” Hermione finished.

“Its great, Hermione, thank you,” Harry whispered, “I wish I could see the phoenix, though.”

Hermione smiled sweetly at him, “Mercutio,” she called.

In a flood of golden flames, an emerald green bird appeared. He landed gently on Hermione’s knee and looked up at her expectantly.

“Harry wanted to meet you,” Hermione told the bird sweetly.

Harry looked on in awe as the phoenix turned its emerald head and stared at him. After the bird appraised him carefully and chirped a few sweet notes, Hermione kissed him gently on the head. Mercutio then vanished in a whirl of blinding flames.

“So, you are the owner of Mercutio; that is great! I’m really glad that you have a pet whose tears have healing powers. I’ll worry less,” Harry laughed as he got out from under the wrappings of his presents.

“Right, well you should get dressed. We are leaving to meet you Aunt at six and I know that Molly is cooking an amazing feast for brunch,” Hermione declared as she hugged him and left the room.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Molly Weasley had indeed made a feast for the family. Only a few minutes before she served, she was escorted into the parlour by her eldest son. Bill and Fleur had surprised her by wrapping her present in a very large box. She had to get through eight layers of bows and wrapping before Charlie jumped out of the box and gave her a loud kiss on the cheek. Everyone laughed at the joke and immediately noticed the joy Molly felt by having her second son home.

Charlie seemed to bring out the energy of everyone. He sang songs and helped his mother. He regaled Harry with stories of his dragons and flirted obnoxiously with Hermione. After Charlie let his mother fill his plate for a fourth time, he pointed out that it was nearly half-past four and they should be getting ready to leave for the Dursleys.

They were taking regular, Muggle cars. Harry didn’t ask how they came to get them, but when Moody arrived at half past five, Harry heard him whisper something about the benefits of having Mundungus in the Order. They all piled into the cars and were off. Harry was pleased to notice that the cars moved very quickly through traffic, similar to the Knight bus but without the waves of nausea that followed. In a surprisingly short trip, they were at number four Privet Drive and knocking upon his Aunt’s door.

They entered into a festive living room that was beautifully decorated. Harry heard Hermione whisper that it looked like a painting. He could smell the powerful fragrances of the real Christmas tree. He smiled as he watched Molly investigate the lovely glass bulbs and ornaments on the tree. Though he was swept away into the picturesque room, he had enough sense to shake Dudley’s hand as he was escorted through the doorway.

Hermione hugged Hagar who collected the coats from the group as Aunt Petunia swept in from the kitchen with a large tray of hot cocoa. Discussions exploded in several different directions as Aunt Petunia drew Harry into a quick hug and began firing questions about his first term. Tonks and Remus were joking with Dudley while Hagar and Hermione dissolved into a fit of giggles and high pitched whispers.

Soon presents were produced and everyone looked on as Harry got his first real present from his Aunt. It was a small golden pocket watch. Harry noticed that there was an engraving on the back. The first said: WP/CM while the second read: JP/LE. He noticed that it did not tell the time as he gently opened the cover. Instead of the time, he saw small indicators of action, much like the clock the Weasleys’ owned. In place of numbers, it read:

Up to no good, Sleeping in, Flirting, Nicking food from the kitchen, Making Mother angry, On the Couch, Buying a present, In danger, Naked, Teaching the children to misbehave, Madly in love with me.

Harry was lost by the inscriptions and handed it to Hermione who was peering over his shoulder to get a better look.

“I thought you might give him that,” Remus said knowledgeably to Petunia, as he softly lifted it out of Hermione’s hand.

Aunt Petunia took his cue and began to explain her gift, “Harry several years ago, when Remus and I were an item, your mother showed me this watch. She said that these were the precursors to Indicators and that James’s father had given it to his mother on their wedding night. Any time she wanted to know where he was, all she had to do was look at the watch and she would know what he was doing. She said that she was going to have one made for me if Remus and I ever got married. Lily felt that there was a serious need to keep them from behaving like dogs, if I remember her exact words,” she smiled as Harry and Remus laughed at Lily’s slight of poor Sirius.

Harry loved his gift and tried to mumble his appreciation to Aunt Petunia, but he tripped over his words and awkwardly pushed his presents to Dudley and Aunt Petunia.

He laughed as Aunt Petunia realised that someone had snuck into their garbage and stole the mirror Uncle Vernon broke. Harry had given it to Dudley as a Christmas present. His cousin examined the mirror closely and smiled as he saw that the mirror didn’t have a single crack in it. Harry pulled his out and whispered Dudley’s name at it. Dudley watched as the mirror clouded and the produced the image of Harry’s face. Harry laughed at Dudley’s obvious intrigue and shock, and then turned his interest towards his Aunt.

She gently opened the slender package and carefully picked up the cold sticks of ice.

“I remembered a few years ago, Uncle Vernon had bought you some really beautiful ornaments for Christmas, but Ripper knocked over the tree when Aunt Marge was visiting. You were so upset because your brand new ornaments had been shattered. These are Everlasting Icicles. They won’t ever break and will always look great,” Harry explained.

A tear slid down her bony cheek, as she gazed at the magnificent gift. She was so touched that Harry remembered she was hurt when that awful mutt ruined her stunning ornaments from Vernon. She lifted them carefully out of the box and showed them to everyone there.

Harry and Dudley put the ornaments on the tree under the watchful eyes of Aunt Petunia and Molly. Hermione and Hagar were still whispering madly, only now Fleur had joined them. Soon, Bill was sitting with Dudley and Moody and they were trying with vigilant patience to explain Quidditch to the young Muggle boy.

At half past seven, Petunia served a delicious light dinner. She knew that most everyone would still be full from the banquet Molly would have prepared. Everyone was in a daze after the turkey and potatoes and they sat in contentment. At eight o’clock Molly said that it was time to be going.

Hagar kissed Harry on the cheek and pulled Hermione into a tight hug. Dudley and Harry shook hands heartily. They had come such a long way from archenemies to friends. What started out as simple respect had turned into an actual friendship and was on its way to becoming family. Molly and Petunia whispered to each other and gave the briefest of hugs before Harry turned to his aunt. They both didn’t know what to say andembraced warmly, in a way that Harry never remembered. Charlie, Hermione, Bill, Fleur, Tonks, Remus and Moody all said their goodbyes as the group put on their coats and gloves.

No one saw a car pull into the drive and everyone jumped as they heard a fierce yell from the back door.

“PETUNIA!” Vernon Dursley roared violently, “How could you bring this vile, despicable boy back into our house!”

Vernon crossed the room and grabbed Harry by the hair as he had many times before. In response, every wizard and witch pulled their wands and aimed directly at the large man, but Dudley stepped forward and waved them down. He grasped his father’s wrist and twisted it until he could no longer hold Harry.

“Dudley, don’t,” Harry said while rubbing his head.

“What is wrong with you?!” Hermione yelled at Vernon as she stepped forward to grasp Harry’s arm.

“I warned you, Petunia,” Vernon bellowed, ignoring Hermione. “I told you that if you ever let this wretch come anywhere near us again, I would throw you out. I meant it. I never should have wasted this much time on you. I should have thrown you out when I found that mirror. Get out of my house all of you. I have guests coming!” Vernon became surprisingly calm as he hissed his hatred out.

“You can’t throw Mum out. We’ll have no where to go!” Dudley exclaimed, matching his father’s tone.

“Son,” Vernon softened immediately, “you do not have to go with her, but I never want to see her again. A wife should be obedient and respectful to her husband. I took in this heathen because that Dumbledore bloke threatened me. Now he’s dead. As far as I’m concerned she is as worthless as Potter.”

“Dursley, a wife does not have to be obedient to a pompous brut of a husband like you. She has made a wonderful life and home for you, and you want to throw her out. You unappreciative, hateful man!” Molly screeched at him.

Vernon turned to sneer at Molly, but said nothing. Harry was amazed that all of his friends had allowed him to continue his rant thus far. His Aunt was visibly shaken.

“Vernon, please don’t do this,” she pleaded with him.

“Get out, I warned you Petunia, now GET OUT OF MY HOUSE!” Vernon exclaimed once again.

Silence rang through the room for a moment before there was a loud rap on the door.

“My guests are here, leave!” Vernon ordered as he swept past the Weasleys and opened the door.

Harry caught a glimpse of the ugly woman on the door step and the man who escorted her. She was well dressed and clean but he knew that face. He watched as his Uncle Vernon issued a warm welcome to them and just as they were about to slip into the house, something in Harry’s mind clicked. Though he tried to control it, the surge of magic slammed all the doors and windows shut and locked. Uncle Vernon was furious.

Harry was beyond livid, “who were those people?” he demanded.

“They are business associates of Vernon’s, I wrote you about them,” Aunt Petunia answered weakly while Vernon tried to pry the door open.

“You mean Fin and Trixie?” Harry asked.

“I don’t see how it matters, but yes,” Aunt Petunia sighed.

“Harry,” Hermione began, “what is it?”

“Fin and Trixie are old friends of ours, Fenrir and Bellatrix. The protection Dumbledore set up with Aunt Petunia is based on my mother’s blood. Dumbledore said as long as I have a home with Aunt Petunia, Voldemort couldn’t harm me here. Well, Vernon just made her homeless and we should be surrounded by Death Eaters any moment,” Harry ground out through gritted teeth.

“You really are a git, you know that, Vernon Dursley!” Hermione shouted as she tried to slap him.

Hagar clutched Hermione fearfully as they heard the distinctive cracks of wizards Apparating around them.

“Remus, what should we do?” Aunt Petunia whispered in panic as a wand began to tap on the window.

“Well, we need to get you all out of here first, any ideas?” Remus ran a hand through his hair as he looked around.

“Mercutio, my phoenix could take the Durselys and Hagar to my parents,” Hermione offered and the bird appeared instantly on her shoulder.

“Excellent, now for the Death Eaters, they will go on a rampage if we leave,” Remus stated simply.

“Why not send Fleur out first, followed closely by Mum and Tonks? She could turn up the Veela charm and the girls could fend off Bellatrix long enough for us to get into position,” Bill suggested with a small grin.

Remus looked at the girls who shrugged in response, “It might work but we need more help.”

As if on cue, two more phoenixes appeared. The first was Voerlute and she landed directly on Harry’s head. The second was midnight blue and landed on Remus’ shoulder.

“Not exactly what I had in mind, but it should work. Alright Mercutio, get the Muggles to Hermione’s and double back to make sure we are all out of here. Voerlute cover Moody, Bill, and Fleur. And you,” he said to the blue phoenix, “Sol, keep watch over Molly and Dora. Hermione stay close to Dora. Be careful out there,” he said as Fleur motioned to Harry to open the door.

Moody and Bill forcefully pulled Vernon from the door and pushed him towards Dudley and Petunia. Hagar reached up towards the amazing green bird and they were gone instantly. Harry had that momentary feeling of dread, that same feeling he had on the day of the attack in Diagon Alley. He silently prayed that they would all make it out alive and safe. He saw that Death Eaters were all peering into the house from the windows. Bellatrix was back to her hideous self as she waved at him and blew him kiss. Harry shuddered in repulsion.

The male Death Eaters easily fell into step with Fleur as she walked down the path and onto the street. Her hips swayed methodically and Harry could see why every man on the street was under her spell. Half of them had dropped their wands and were drooling, while the others flexed and posed for her. Tonks summoned the dropped wands and bound the droolers, while Molly and Bellatrix bowed for battle.

Harry, Charlie and Bill watched with anxious anticipation as the women in their lives take on dozens of Death Eaters. Remus made certain that Hagar and the Dursleys were out of the house before he signalled for them to get into a position to fight. Bill slipped out after Remus followed closely by Harry. Charlie brought up the rear and guarded Hermione as she bound, stunned, and disarmed Death Eaters.

Bill cast shielding charms over his wife and Tonks as he watched Remus and Moody take up a duel with Greyback. He wanted to attack Greyback himself, but felt he should take care of Fleur. He was accustomed to the Veela in her and smiled as she easily manipulated the Death Eaters. One was spouting poetry, when the next sang for her. Another was stripping down in the street, and yet another was doing a little jig. Bill bit back a laugh as the crowd was collected by Tonks and Hermione. Twenty were lying on the ground and Charlie was collecting wands.

Harry guarded Tonks and carefully watched that no hex flew astray. Remus was deep into battle with Greyback and when he could, Harry threw a curse or hex to help his friend. Moody was still fighting valiantly, but was bleeding from his remaining leg. Molly was in her element. Harry watched as she fought Lestrange with grace and smiled when Molly almost disarmed her.

Bellatrix threw every curse and hex she could think of, but Molly dodged them all easily. Molly looked entirely different. She was not angry or fierce. She looked as if she had merely been caught in a storm without an umbrella. This, of course, made Bellatrix furious and she threw curses at Fleur and Tonks to bait Molly.

Fleur tossed a fireball at Bellatrix and Bill cast a shield around the both of them. Molly’s resolve hardened and she began to fire at Bellatrix. She watched as Bellatrix narrowly missed a few dangerous curses. From his vantage point, Harry could see that Bellatrix was actually afraid. Molly Weasley grew more violent and matched Bellatrix with every sneer.

As soon as several Death Eaters were captured, it became obvious that more and more Death Eaters were coming to replace those Death Eaters that had been bound by Hermione or Tonks. Fleur threw a fireball here and there when one would slip from her spell, but for the most part, few were outside her reach. When the replacements began to arrive, however, she had to become more aggressive. She still had about ten men gazing at her, but by now ten new Death Eaters were throwing curses at her.

Bill, Charlie, and Harry tried their best to fight off the new arrivals but there were too many. Finally with the battle beginning to turn, Remus yelled out.

“Grab hands!” he exclaimed as the few Order members worked against the Death Eaters.

Charlie leapt forward and grabbed Hermione and Harry. Moody pushed himself to get to Molly just as Voerlute swept down and flashed them away. Harry barely saw Bill and Fleur vanish in ball of flame with Tonks and Remus. Hermione reached up, Mercutio appeared and took them away in a fiery instant.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

They crowded around a tiny kitchen table, in a place that Harry did not recognize. Everything around the table was black and he could see nothing beyond the five people at the table. He saw his uncle grumbling in his seat where he was muttering to himself. Dudley was holding a shaking Hagar, while Aunt Petunia silently cried into her hand.

A man that Harry had only seen on a few occasions swept around the table and to Hermione, embracing her tightly.

“I’m fine, Dad,” Hermione whispered as her father released her and her mother moved in.

“Hermione Granger lives at five Redmond Avenue,” Tonks whispered in his ear.

The room came into focus and the darkness crept away. Harry could see Tonks moving around the group of people, whispering to Charlie and then to Bill. He looked at Hermione curiously.

“Dumbledore thought that since you and I were so close it would be wise to protect myself from being an easy target. I did the Fidelius Charm just after he died. Obviously, Tonks is my Secret Keeper,” Hermione explained.

“You can do the Fidelius Charm, Hermione?” Bill asked in astonishment.

“Professor Flitwick let me read some texts on advanced Charms last year. He showed me the theory and said that if I wanted to try it, he would help me,” she answered as a blush crawled up her cheeks.

Harry looked amazedly at Hermione when a loud crash made the jumpy crowd shoot several stunners at the two intruders who burst through the front door. Remus leapt over the first body and woke the second person first. Tonks hunched over the one Remus left and tried to wake up the poor soul.

“I think I only got hit by two, Remus, my shielding charm must be getting slow!” Kingsley laughed as Remus pulled him to his feet.

“I should have realized there was a reason he wanted me to come in first,” Roni groaned as she wrapped an arm around Tonks.

“Kingsley, Roni, what are you doing here?” Hermione asked in surprise.

“Hermione,” Kingsley began, “I’m here to tell you, that thirty-three of the Death Eaters that arrived on Privet Drive were apprehended today. Of course, Greyback and Lestrange escaped. It seems that Voldemort sent in some of his newer recruits.”

Kingsley seemed tired but clearly was glad to be the one commending them.

“And I am here, Hermione,” Roni began quietly, “because I had this really bad feeling and sure enough, one of my Indicators starts shocking the hell out of me. It seems my little sister can’t keep out of trouble over the holidays,” she quipped as she raised an eyebrow.

“I didn’t know you put a charm on that bracelet you gave me!” Hagar shouted ignoring the looks of shock.

“I know, little one,” Roni said consolingly, “but it helps me sleep knowing that I will know if you really need me. You’re in the Muggle world and I’m in the magical world; we don’t see each other enough,” she finished dramatically.

Hagar rolled her eyes at Roni but hugged her sister tightly regardless. Dudley watched on stupidly. His girlfriend just hugged a wizard and called her ‘sister’. He was beside himself and Hagar finally realized that a very big cat had been let out of the bag.

“Dudley, I know you are probably very upset, but before you become too angry, let me explain,” Hagar asked pleadingly.

Dudley’s jaw tightened, but he nodded. Uncle Vernon, however, began to fume.

“You see what comes of hanging around his sort,” Vernon yelled and pointed at Harry, “she’s another freak!”

“I’m hardly a freak! In fact I’m about as magical as you are! I’m a Squib. I’m a person that was born into the magical community, but have no magical powers whatsoever! I wanted to, but just couldn’t tell you, Dudley,” she said as she crossed the room and took his hand.

“I should have realized that you knew more about all of this,” Dudley whispered.

“I’m sorry I couldn’t tell you the truth about who I was,” Hagar said quietly.

Harry pulled his attention from his cousin as Dudley pulled her into a side room. He turned and listened in as Kingsley gave a report of the battle on Privet Drive.

“I arrived on the scene just as Charlie, Harry, and Hermione flamed out,” Kingsley explained, “I was called from Hogwarts on the emergency call. I realized where it was and contacted Ron. They are all waiting to hear from you,” he finished.

“Well, who to send?” Remus looked around at the Order members, “Kingsley why don’t you go, since you’re headed that way anyhow. Roni, I’ll need your help in situating your sister. Hermione, could you go back with Kingsley for a bit? Explain what happened to Ron and Minerva?” He asked politely.

Wordlessly, the obedient Order members began to prepare themselves to leave. Hermione smiled at Harry and winked at Charlie, before she kissed her parents goodbye.

“Before you ask,” Hermione said to Roni’s opening mouth, “yes, I’ll check on Susan as well.”

Hermione slipped on a coat and Disapparated a moment after Kingsley.
Stroke by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please review or the next cliffhanger will be even more painful.
Chapter Eighteen
Stroke

Hermione Granger strode into the hospital wing as she had done many times before, but tonight was different. Tonight was Christmas evening and she had just fought a battle on Privet Drive. She quickly moved to the office, where Susan Bones sat with Percy, Fred, Ron and Ginny Weasley.

At the sight of her friend, Ginny leapt up and hugged Hermione tightly. Susan took Hermione’s coat and Ron offered her his seat. Fred made no effort to move or speak and watched as Hermione was ushered into the small space. Percy, however, rapidly began to fire off questions.

“Calm down everyone,” she cried, “everybody is fine. We were all about to leave the Dursleys’ when Vernon came home. He said he had guests coming and tried to throw us out. Of course, he had to be a complete baboon about it and threw Petunia out as well, thus nullifying her protection of the house. He said that because she associated with Harry and the likes of us that she was no longer welcome in his house. Well, just then, his guests arrived, who turned out to be Bellatrix Lestrange and Fenrir Greyback.

“We got the Dursleys and Hagar out. Hagar is Dudley’s girlfriend and Roni’s sister. Small world apparently. Anyhow, Fleur went out first and took out most of the men. I must say I have never been more thankful for Veelas. Tonks, your mum, and I rounded up as many as we could. Remus, Bill, and the rest of the boys shielded us. In the end, the Death Eaters were replenishing themselves too quickly and we had to escape. I got out with Mercutio, my phoenix, and two other pheonixes showed up as well. They got the rest of the group out.

“When we got back to my parents’ house Kingsley informed us that you were waiting for information and that he had been one of the Aurors called to the scene to round up any Death Eaters they could,” Hermione exhaled and took a sip of the tea Susan offered.

She had been speaking rather quickly and had tried her best to answer all of Percy’s rapid fire questions. Ginny had listened intently and gasped when Hermione explained that Hagar was Roni’s sister. Susan graciously let the Weasleys have a moment in the office and went to check on George and Draco.

“So everyone is fine, no one was hurt?” Ginny asked tentatively.

“Moody had a bad hit, but Roni was already beginning to wrestle him into a seat when I left. I believe that was the extent of injuries,” Hermione responded thoughtfully.

“Is Roni coming back tonight?” Fred asked hopefully.

Hermione quirked an eyebrow and said, “I believe she is, but it won’t be until later because she has to get some things resolved with Hagar.”

“Thanks for letting us know, Hermione,” Percy said, adding, “has Kingsley gone to inform McGonagall?”

“Yes, we split in the Entrance. I knew you lot would be here so I came straight away. Why don’t you go see if McGonagall needs anything from me?” Hermione asked politely. “I would like to get back to my parents as soon as possible.”

Percy left quickly and Fred offered to join him. As he walked past Hermione, Fred patted her on the head like a small child. Ginny gave Hermione another tight squeeze and mumbled something about needing to find Colin. Ron stared at his hands for a moment once they were alone.

Hermione could tell that there was so much he wanted to say, but she knew he couldn’t express it with or without his voice. She placed a hand over her face and finally let the intensity of the day impact her. She had been in a battle today with several Death Eaters. She willingly walked into danger and honestly had no idea why she fought as hard as she did.

The day had been so stressful; first Christmas, then Charlie appears, next they are at Privet Drive. She and Hagar were gossiping about silly things and suddenly Petunia is homeless and Bellatrix is waving at them through the window. She was so angry and frustrated that her cup began to vibrate. Tea slopped over the edges before she set it down on the desk.

Hermione was near the point of crying, or screaming, or laughing, she just didn’t know which one to do first. Ron could see her distress and reached out to hold her hands.

“I couldn’t stop thinking about you. I was fighting a Death Eater and all I could think was, ‘Ron should be here.’ I don’t mean that you should have come to fight, but that we should be fighting together. I like when I can look at you and know you have enough faith in me to beat one of them. It felt so empty today, like I couldn’t remember why I was fighting them. It scared me to think that, Ron. If we ever get out of this war, what is going to be left?” Hermione continued to vent and it unnerved her to feel so vulnerable.

“You know what I miss?” Hermione asked, suddenly quite calm. “I miss the juvenile screaming. I miss you and Harry trying to convince me to help you finish an essay at the very last minute. I miss Quidditch games and pretending to be cold so you would stand closer to me when you weren’t playing. I miss the way that you would smile at me, when you were on your broom after you made a great save. I miss you calling me a nag,” finally she broke down and let herself cry.

Ron pulled her to him and she wept openly on his chest.

He couldn’t say anything, he had no voice. He could manage a tight scratchy sound sometimes, but right now he wanted her to feel safe and loved. He wanted her to know that she couldn’t give up. How could he make her see and feel all of that?

Roughly he tried to clear his throat and ground out a harsh sentiment, “I… love….you,” he forced.

Just as their eyes locked and they stared deeply into each other, Ginny came bursting back into the office.

“Ron, come quick! You have to see this!” Ginny exclaimed oblivious to what she interrupted.

Fred was tickling George’s nose with a feather and George kept batting it away with his left hand. Ginny pulled Fred away and whispered something in her sleeping brother’s ear. As if he had been shocked, George’s eyes snapped open and he sat straight up. George looked slightly confused about his surroundings, but turned to glare at Ginny.

“Did you know she threw a chicken at me because she thought I was the one who did that?!” George screamed at his sister.

Fred was laughing hysterically, Ginny started to cry and Hermione shook her head and smiled. The day had been exhausting and stressful, but it was going to end well.

“Ickleronnikins! How are you little brother?” George looked at Ron and smiled, “and my little Ginny!” he exclaimed as his sister crawled under the covers and snuggled up with him. “You all act like you haven’t seen me in months! Where is Mum? Is she after Madam Pomfrey about my bed linens or something?”

“Oh dear,” Hermione whispered, crestfallen.

“Would you have Professor McGonagall get our mother here please, Hermione?” Percy asked politely and she was gone instantly.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Molly Weasley quickly marched into the Hogwarts Hospital Wing. She had received an emergency medical summons from Minerva and became immediately panicked. Bill, Charlie, Fleur, and Roni had to run to keep up with her. As she burst through the doors, she saw Ron standing over George’s cot with his hand clamped over his mouth.

Percy was holding Ginny. Hermione sat stone faced in the chair next to George. Fred was leaning against Ron and everyone became very quiet as Roni rushed forward and began to check for any indication that George’s health was failing.

She leaned close to his face, he was whispering something. She could just barely make it out…

“You…need…” his voice wavered.

“I need what?” she asked as she ran her tests.

“You…need…” he hissed again.

Roni looked back at Molly and shrugged in confusion. Molly was holding her forehead and shaking her head. She slipped past Charlie and Bill and put a gentle arm around the twin next to Ron.

“What do I need?” Roni asked again.

Suddenly the boy flung his arms around her crouched form and he pulled her into a sloppy kiss.

“You need a new dress, because we have a date Saturday!” He exclaimed before he kissed her again.

“George Weasley!” Roni screamed, “I told you, not in front of the other patients!”

Everyone stared at her for a moment before the real George started laughing. Molly hugged him and chuckled along with the rest of the family.

“I like her, Fred,” Charlie choked out, wiping away a tear.

Bill put an arm around a giggling Fleur, “Welcome to the family, Roni, and welcome back George.”

Fred sat in George’s bed shocked that Roni was so quick with a comeback. He thought he would have gotten at least a slap for a prank like that, but here she was lying in his arms, and laughing at him.

“Well, that was fun, but do you think we could get me up to speed?” George asked.

Professor McGonagall stepped into the wing just as Molly helped George into a chair. She looked at Roni struggling to wiggle out of Fred’s grasp and a still chuckling Charlie. The headmistress rolled her eyes at the twin still in the bed and put an arm around Hermione.

“You clearly have things under control, Miss Lockhart,” McGonagall stated as Roni shot her a nasty look, “I will escort Miss Granger to the gate so she may return to her holiday.”

The gentle woman guided Hermione out of the wing and towards the steps leading to the main entrance. They didn’t say much to one another, but just as Hermione was about to slip past the gate McGonagall stopped her.

“You have had a very long day, Miss Granger. When you get home tonight, I want you to read a book. Something completely unrelated to magic, medicine, or Healing. I would recommend Pride and Prejudice if you’ve got it,” she said with a small smile. “That Mr. Darcy always makes me feel better.

“From what I’ve observed, you are one of those people who will work and fight as hard as they can, but will break if they lose themselves in the process. I think that you have been diving into your studies and work so that you don’t have to feel the stress and pain that this war is causing. If you do that you will lose everything,” McGonagall whispered.

“I don’t know how to deal with it all,” Hermione confessed.

“Take it day by day, let the people in your life help you, and make time for yourself to enjoy a little bit of everyday,” McGonagall said wisely.

They smiled at each other and Hermione Disapparated with a soft crack.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione Apparated directly into her bedroom at her parents’ house. She thought about everything that McGonagall had said. McGonagall was worried about her and Hermione knew that she needed to take the woman’s advice. She quietly moved towards her parents’ bedroom. She knocked and entered.

Her mother was still wide awake, though her father was asleep.

“Greg, Hermione’s back,” her mother whispered to Mr. Granger’s sleeping form.

“Let him rest, Mum,” Hermione said, “I just wanted to say I’m back and goodnight. I hope Remus took care of everything.”

“He did,” Mrs. Granger replied, making room for her daughter to sit on the bed. “He took Dudley, Harry, Hagar, and Petunia back to his home. Vernon was rather upset to learn that he would be reporting to the Aurors to give them information on his ‘business associates.’”

Hermione giggled at Mr. Dursley’s predicament. Her mother appraised her carefully, calculating Hermione’s every mannerism.

“Oh, Mum, you wouldn’t believe how insane this day has been!” Hermione said with a strained voice.

“Well, lucky for you I know the cure to bad days,” Mrs. Granger announced as she flung her covers onto her still sleeping husband.

“I’ll get the chocolate!” Hermione offered with a smile.

“I’ll get the Schnapps,” her mother whispered as she tied her robe.

“Mum!” Hermione hissed in shock.

“Oh please, Hermione, you’re eighteen, just fought a battle, and you keep twisting your thumb. Which, by the way, is a clear indication that you and Ron had a little run in at Hogwarts; you get the chocolate shakes going and I’ll sneak in the peppermint Schnapps,” she said with a wink. And mother and daughter dashed down the stairs.

Six days later, Hermione strutted into the front door of Grimmauld Place. She hadn’t realized how refreshing her mother could be. They had stayed up late every night since Christmas. Her mum would tell stories about how she and Hermione’s father met, while Hermione would vent all of her anxieties and just feel better. Though she missed her parents, it finally felt right to be going back to Headquarters and preparing for her return to Hogwarts.

It was New Year’s Eve and the Lupins were planning a spectacular party. The house smelled wonderful, an indication that Molly was cooking up another amazing spread for the festivities. She smiled at the hundreds of decorations and noisemakers that had been littered across the home. As Hermione hung up her coat, Harry came bolting out of the kitchen.

“You have to help me!” He exclaimed.

“What now?” She replied with scepticism.

“Charlie says that if I don’t get a kiss at midnight two awful things will happen. One, I’ll be cursed to have a year filled with frigid people, and two, if I don’t get someone to volunteer; he is going to kiss me full on the lips,” he said quickly.

“Well if I kiss you, won’t he be doomed to a cold year?” Hermione asked.

“Not possible if you work with dragons, love,” Charlie supplied entering from the kitchen.

Harry made to hide behind her. “I do not want to kiss Charlie,” he muttered childishly.

“Oh for heaven’s sake!” Hermione laughed. “Fine Harry, I’ll give you a kiss at midnight.”

Harry breathed an overdramatic sigh of relief, “You are a peach!” he said while pinching her cheek.

Hermione slapped his hand away and then playfully whacked Charlie on the arm as well.

“What was that for?” Charlie protested.

“Harry was such a sweet, quiet boy before the likes of you corrupted him,” she said simply and walked away.

By eleven, the party was beyond raucous. Bill was seen dragging Fleur into a closet and Molly had convinced Mad-Eye to wear a lamp shade as a hat. Tonks and Remus kept sneaking upstairs, and Charlie was trying to convince Hermione to kiss him instead. Even Dudley and Hagar were having a wonderful time. Remus had insisted on playing loud music, and Harry made Hermione dance with him. Aunt Petunia laughed at the youngsters and made Harry waltz with her, despite Charlie’s cat calls. Several Order members were there, though most of the Weasley family remained at Hogwarts. The evening was going wonderfully and as the last minute of the year counted down, everything felt like it was the way it was supposed to be.

People were laughing and dancing, singing and embracing each other as they counted down the last moments.

“Ten!” They all chorused together as Charlie grabbed Hermione into a tight embrace.

“Nine!” Harry petrified Charlie and claimed Hermione by the arm.

“Eight!” Molly threw a sobering charm at Moody.

“Seven!” Remus revived Charlie.

“Six!” Charlie chased Hermione around the room.

“Five!” Hermione hit Charlie with her own stunner.

“Four!” Bill and Fleur fell out of the closet.

“Three!” Harry leapt over the couch to get to Hermione.

“Two!” Everyone held their breath.

“One!” They all screamed and kissed their respective partners.

It was one moment in time and it was perfect. Hermione placed the chastest of kisses on Harry’s lips. Hagar and Dudley were embracing fondly. Molly saved her rejected son, and gave Charlie a kiss after she revived him, while Moody pressed a small kiss on Aunt Petunia’s hand. Remus and Tonks, like Bill and Fleur, had vanished once again, and Harry distinctly heard Molly mutter, ‘newlyweds’, to Charlie.

They could hear the bells tolling the hour. Just as the clock chimed its last chime, Remus came rushing down the stairs. He was haphazardly putting his shirt back on and his trousers were unbuttoned. In his left fist he grasped a note.

“It’s from Ron,” he gasped, “Hogsmeade is under attack.”
Meeting One's Potential by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please Read AND REVIEW!!! They make me so happy!
Chapter Nineteen
Meeting One’s Potential

The Order rushed out of Grimmauld Place. Remus barked at them to stay close to one another, but beyond that gave no other commands. Everyone had Disapparated directly to Hogsmeade. Harry appeared mere inches away from Hermione. They gazed at the town.

Bodies lay in the street, civilians and Death Eaters alike. Honeydukes was on fire, along with several other businesses. Harry could see that none of the homes had been reached. In the distance, several Death Eaters were flinging people into the air, while others were duelling. The town had been caught completely off guard and Harry could see several familiar faces were in the battle.

Percy was fighting along side Ginny. While he was doing admirably against Flint and Goyle Senior Ginny was in her element against Lucius Malfoy. She was fighting very offensively and often she would lead him toward one of the burning buildings. More than once, bands of flame would reach out for him, but he narrowly escaped each time.

Hannah was standing over a fallen Dean and fighting three masked Death Eaters, while a few feet away Seamus dodged a spell that evaporated the remaining support to a burning building and he was nearly crushed by a falling wall. Krum was wrestling with a panther. The large beast rolled and tried to bite the famed Seeker, but Krum hit the panther’s head with a large rock and regained his footing. He quickly killed the Animagus before jumping into line with Ron.

Ron was engaged in a deadly duel with Pettigrew. When Krum joined in the attack, Greyback flew to the aid of his fellow Death Eater. The battle raging between the four men was an intense sight. Once again Greyback wielded his sword and violently jabbed at Ron. What Harry had not noticed previously was that Ron too, had a sword. It was the sword that Harry removed from the Sorting Hat in his second year.

With a rushed, “Be safe!” Hermione ran forward into battle with Harry close on her heels.

She quickly fell into stride with Ron and Krum, shielding them and throwing her own curses. Harry moved a few feet beyond her to where Neville was fighting viciously with Rabastan and Bellatrix Lestrange. Harry pushed his mind to battle effectively with Rabastan and ignored Bellatrix’s taunts.

“Wee Potter comes to save ‘is little friend?” she hissed disgustedly.

“Crucio!” Neville bellowed.

Bellatrix writhed and screamed a horrible shriek as Harry finally disarmed and Stunned Rabastan. Neville tried, but couldn’t hold the curse for very long and soon Bellatrix was trying to get back on her feet. As she rose she threw the tripping hex at Harry, who fell hard. Harry managed to fire one more hex before he landed. Neville threw another Cruciatus Curse at her and the mixing of the two spells silenced her. She slumped heavily to the ground. Harry crawled to her body and tried to bind her, but it was useless. She was dead.

Neville helped Harry pull himself to his feet and they stepped in to battle with Hannah. Fenrir Greyback had been pulled out of sight and now Hermione and Ron were fighting Pettigrew by himself. For only a moment, Harry and Neville could see a hundred people fighting in every which direction. Bill and Fleur moved swiftly through a crowd of Death Eaters and Charlie ran towards Hagrid who was swinging a large tree at a crowd of eight or nine Death Eaters.

Kingsley was fighting with one Death Eater that Harry had seen before but couldn’t place. Behind him, Remus and Greyback were malevolently attacking each other. Molly was now fighting with Ginny against Malfoy and Percy had moved on with Krum. They both were throwing shields to help the Order members. Tonks and Moody were throwing supporting charms at the buildings that were on point of collapse.

At one point, in their battle, Hermione was hit by a Stunner. Ron stood over her but suddenly a young Death Eater moved in line with Pettigrew and the two of them got Ron’s wand. Though Ron still had the sword, Harry could see that he only had a moment to get to Ron and Hermione. Ron somehow managed a wandless, nonverbal spell that disarmed and bound the younger Death Eater, but Harry had to jump in front of Ron to keep him from being hit by Wormtail.

Pettigrew tried to throw a hex at Harry, but his wand would never cast the spell. Harry sneered at his father’s old friend.

“I saved your life, remember?” Harry spat at the fear on Wormtail’s face.

Ron lunged forward and cast the sword through Wormtail’s silver hand. The former Marauder howled in pain as the limb oozed from his body and vanished with a small explosion. Pettigrew collapsed in agony onto the ground where Ron bound him without his wand. Harry shot the counter-curse at Hermione while Ron Summoned his wand.

It was clear that Voldemort’s finest were in Hogsmeade tonight. The battle raged on for hours and many people were lost on both sides. The Aurors had arrived earlier in the evening, but the Death Eaters out numbered the Aurors and Order members. Just as the sun began to rise on the first day of the New Year, the remaining Death Eaters remained Disapparated. Slushy, dirty snow lined the streets where dead bodies lay. The sudden lack of battle was almost as intimidating as the violence itself. This had only been a taste of what was to come.

At noon, the students and teachers had returned to Hogwarts while the Order members and Aurors counted the losses on both sides. Once back in the castle, Ron, Harry, and Hermione, described the battle to Fred and George. They sat in the hospital wing so Susan could listen in.

“It was unreal,” Hermione whispered, “Ginny had Lucius Malfoy practically on the run. Charlie and Hagrid took out at least twenty Death Eaters and Neville killed Bellatrix. I just don’t know why they would attack Hogsmeade,” she finished exhaustedly.

She leaned back on the cot they sat on; Ron put an arm around her for support. She rested her head against his shoulder and closed her eyes.

“Where were you guys? I couldn’t see you.” Harry asked the twins.

“Well,” Fred began, “When we heard the alarms going off in Hogsmeade, we were all running toward McGonagall’s office. But Ron realized that if we all left, the school would be defenceless. So he sent me to guard the passage under the Whomping Willow and George to the one-eyed witch’s passage. Ron sent Roni a message saying that when she got back, she needed to stay in the hospital wing because he would send all wounded Order members there. Just as he, Hannah, and half the teachers got to the main entrance, Ginny came running out,” Fred explained carefully.

“Ginny,” George continued seamlessly, “said she was going to fight. Ron couldn’t exactly fight with her without a voice, so he looked to Percy. Percy said that she was the best student in the school when it came to Defence, and that he wouldn’t leave her side, and they were off running again. We realized that sitting in a dark tunnel was hardly helpful, so we caved in the remaining entrances to the castle and came back just as Roni and Susan received their first dozen wounded.”

At this point, Ginny and Luna came into the wing. Ginny sat down next to George, while Luna whispered something to Roni. The petite blonde looked pale and afraid. Roni put a hand on the girl’s shoulder and whispered back. Luna’s hair was now in a short bob. She was glad that it was getting longer and she no longer had to wear the scarf, but Hermione had told Harry that some people made fun of the scars on her face and hands.

The boils had left several circular scars on the left side of her face and neck. Her hands were covered in the bright pink scars and she had taken to wearing elbow length gloves. Harry had hoped that there would be a way to get rid of the scars, but Hermione said the wounds had been too extensive. He felt bad for Luna, but knew that her friends saw the beauty that radiated from the inside.

Harry’s thoughts faded from his mind as Luna turned on her heel and ran out of the hospital wing. He turned to Ginny and asked her why Luna was behaving so strange, even for her.

“She told me that Neville has locked himself in his garden and that she has been trying to break in. I guess the battle really got to him. After all, he did kill Bellatrix,” Ginny responded simply.

“I wish you hadn’t fought, Ginny,” Harry whispered to her.

“I know, but I couldn’t stay and hide. Something, Mum said in her last letter, has inspired me lately. She told me that she trusted me, she had faith in me, and she loved me. I guess she had been thinking about my status as an Order member, and told Remus that when he and Ron thought I was ready, she would give her permission. I didn’t understand either, but she said that she saw so much potential in me, but that potential is useless if you don’t do anything about it. She said she wouldn’t keep me from doing what I felt I had to do,” Ginny explained as she got up and moved away from Hermione and Ron, who had fallen asleep.

The twins had been listening carefully and nodded as Ginny explained their mother’s correspondence.

“Hermione said you were amazing, Ginny,” George whispered as the twins followed her.

“It was so strange, fighting Malfoy,” she responded with an odd expression. “I was fighting him with everything I had, but I didn’t want to fight him because he killed Dad, or because he was evil. I fought him because he said that I was a waste of pure blood and that I would never compare to the elite lineage of a Malfoy. It wasn’t until I was fighting for myself that the fight became easy. I just don’t know how to describe it,” Ginny finished pondering herself.

She looked back at Ron and Hermione. Ron had collected the entire part of her person into his arms. Hermione had fisted her hands in his shirt, and though they both slept soundly, they smiled contentedly.

“I really hate to do this,” Susan whispered as she pushed past Ginny. “Hermione?” Susan whispered and shook the girl gently.

“Hermione, love, Roni and I could really use your help,” Susan cooed.

Hermione’s eyes snapped open, and she blushed the brightest red as she pushed away from Ron. The twins fought to hold in their chuckles, but laughed outright when Ron, still asleep, whimpered and pulled her back to him. Ginny however had enough sense to pull the twins and Harry out of the wing before they began to embarrass their friend.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Dean had been killed. Quite a few people had died that night, but the one that Harry would always remember, was Dean. When they heard the news, Harry had been was standing next to Ginny. Ron had brought a list of people who had died at Hogsmeade and let them read it. Dean had been the first name on the list. Ginny had stormed passed Harry and her brother, and as she rounded the corner Harry could hear her begin to sob.

Fred and George were also unnerved to learn that Argus Filch had been in Hogsmeade when the attacks began. Apparently, he had jumped into a home just after it caught flame. While the man and woman tried to fight three Death Eaters, he jumped into their home and saved their three small children from the fire. After he had gotten them safely out of the house, he went to the neighbouring home and retrieved an infant girl. Her parents were dead on the stoop of her house and the child was found safely clutched in Filch’s arms. He had been killed instantly with the Killing Curse, shot in the back of the head, like an execution

Among the dead on the Death Eaters’ side, Bellatrix Lestrange and Peter Pettigrew were the two most notable. Initial buzz was already circulating in the press about Pettigrew’s death and that it was clear that Sirius Black was innocent. Harry had arranged with McGonagall to have Rita Skeeter come to Hogwarts the following week, so that he could have his say.

Seamus had been blinded. He was trapped under the building for so long before anyone could get to him that the damage to his eyes was irreversible. Though he had been cured in every other respect, it was difficult for him to function. The loss of Dean had crushed him even more than the building.

Harry had suffered a sprained wrist and Hannah nearly lost a finger, but for the most part no one really paid much attention to the effects of the battle due to the unbearable losses. When classes resumed the following week, everyone sat shell-shocked and horrified. The memorial to Filch had been quite morose, but the memorial for Dean had been tragic. His mother had come to the school and sat with Seamus.

Nearly three weeks after the battle everyone began to return to the routine that lived in a normal Hogwarts. Roni was back to mending minor wounds and illnesses. Hermione was enjoying her studies, and Susan tended to the hospital and Draco more than ever. Ginny was again seen with Colin, though; they had a distinct look of mischief about them. Ron had made the plans to have his surgery for the fifteenth of February, and Harry was throwing himself into his Auror training.

It wasn’t until the next Order meeting, that Harry realized how dire things were becoming. As Remus called the meeting to session, Harry could see the absence of a few people who had been lost that night in the battle. One that had really bothered him had been Cho. She hadn’t been killed, but she had been tortured beyond what her mind could take; she would never be the same.

Percy had been visibly shaken as well. He assured his family and Harry that he would be fine, Cho had only been a friend. Percy alluded that she desired a more intimate relationship, while he was determined to remain friends. Now, his friend was residing in the permanent ward at St. Mungo’s. The Healers had hope that she would improve with time, but there were more pressing cases. Her condition would have to wait.

Cho wasn’t the only one out of action. Mr. Ollivander hadn’t been seen in a few weeks and a few other members had been injured and had yet to recover.

“Welcome,” Remus began rather monotone, “We seem to be short a few people, but we have a few new members to introduce tonight. The first is Seamus Finnigan. Though he was blinded in the last battle, we have reason to believe that he will be a valuable member to us in the future. Next, is Miss Hannah Abbott; this little fireball managed to take down five Death Eaters single-handedly on New Year’s. Last, but certainly not least, is Miss Penelope Clearwater. She has been a valuable informant working out of St. Mungo’s for some time. Please welcome the new members!” Remus smiled warmly as the new members were applauded and sat.

“Well, lets get to business,” he continued. “As you know, we recently got quite a taste of what is to come. Let’s keep in mind that, with the exception of Greyback, we were only dealing with human opponents. Voldemort will likely use Dementors, giants, and other werewolves in the future. After closely examining everything that happened that night, we have determined that Marcus Flint, Mr. Crabbe, Bellatrix Lestrange, Peter Pettigrew, and Weston Wayse fell at the hands of the Order. Wayse was a young man from Belgium, I believe, and Flint was in his Animagus form during the battle. He was the panther.” Remus explained carefully.

“Now, we are still analyzing the battle and our weaknesses. For the moment, let us put the battle aside and focus on a few new things and one bit of splendid news. Ron has proposed with the support of Professor McGonagall that Luna Lovegood and Ginny Weasley be allowed to join the Order. Does anyone protest?” Lupin waited for a moment before moving on.

“Very well, the ladies will be invited before the next meeting. Also, since we have seen that students will find their way to the battlefield, I would like to make a request of our Auror liaisons and Percy. If you could find a way to work duelling into your upcoming lessons, it would be greatly appreciated. As much as I would prefer our children to avoid battle, I know that will not always be the case. Please work together on this project. Now, after the last bit of information, I need Ron, Hermione, and Harry to remain after the meeting.”

Remus looked positively gleeful; everyone could tell he was winding them up.

“A very good friend has helped me leak it to the press that Peter Pettigrew was killed in the battle. Sirius Black has been formally cleared of all charges. Pettigrew has been stripped of his Order of Merlin. It will run front page of the Daily Prophet tomorrow.”

A general whoop of joy burst through the crowd. The twins started skipping about their mother and Hermione laughed at Harry’s excitement. He was so thrilled that he managed to kiss her on the cheek, Tonks on the nose, and tried to put Fleur in a dip, but Bill stopped him.

“Oh, I’m not done yet, folks. Pettigrew was an important loss, but for many reasons. It seems that my old friend had become the head hostage keeper. We don’t know why exactly, but Voldemort had ordered the capture of three people. One was Aberforth Dumbledore; he has been returned to his pub and is back to the usual. The second was Mr. Ollivander. He was severely malnourished but after a brief stay in St. Mungo’s, he will be fine and is looking forward to returning to Hogwarts next Saturday. We have no idea why this last person was spared.” Remus softened his voice considerably and stared deeply into another man’s eyes.

“Natasha Borvikchad, was found wandering the streets of a small town. They managed to get her to a Muggle hospital and later she was sent to St. Mungo’s. She has only managed to say one word, but she has endured quite a lot. The Healers are hopeful.”

“She’s alive?” Krum gasped with a heavy whisper.

Everyone nodded in understanding and began to quietly filter out of Headquarters. Hermione put a hand on Viktor’s shoulder. Harry looked away as she whispered something to her Bulgarian friend. He noticed Percy awkwardly offer to see Penelope Clearwater home. Hermione stood and whispered something to Ron, while Krum stalked out of the room. Harry couldn’t help but feel horrible for the man. First, his sister’s wedding is ruined by Death Eaters. Then, they steal the woman he loves. Now, he learns that she is alive, but only just. It must be devastating.

He was lost in his thoughts until Remus snapped his fingers before Harry’s eyes.

“Alright there, Harry?” Lupin asked concernedly.

“Worried about Krum, what did you need to see us for?” Harry returned his mind to the task at hand.

“Well, while I didn’t get to see it myself, Alastor claims that the pulse Wormtail emitted when his silver hand was pierced was very powerful. He believes that it could have been the Horcrux being destroyed. Do you realize what that would mean?” Remus’ eyes lit up.

“It means, that other than the snake, there is one more Horcrux and we have no clue where or what it is. So, how do we get to the snake?” Harry asked with stress in his voice.

“Remus,” Hermione interrupted, “I think that the snake is being taken care of. I don’t think we need to worry about that one. Let’s focus on figuring out the remaining one.”

Remus, Ron, and Harry all stared at her with astonishment in their faces.

“What do you know that you aren’t telling us, Hermione?” Remus asked.

“I’m not sure, and I don’t want to tell you until I’m sure. Please Remus, let me be certain,” Hermione begged.

Remus nodded, “That is all.”

Hermione grabbed Ron’s hand, dragging him out the door. Harry waved a goodbye as he ran to keep up with his two best friends.

They returned to Hogwarts and the boys were baffled at Hermione’s bizarre behaviour. She put on a great burst of speed as she ran through the corridors. Finally, when she reached a large gallery, she stopped. Harry looked around and saw several paintings. One was a giant feather; another was a large Mandrake root. To his left he saw a fearsome shark. Hermione stood directly in front of it. She leaned close and he could barely hear her whisper, Tatiana.

The portrait swung open and she guided the boys in. Krum was staring into his fire while pressing a small child to his body. Harry could see that he had been crying and the young girl patted his face with her tiny hand. Krum tore his eyes away from the fire to look up at the three friends. The sweet little girl pushed away from her brother and ran to Hermione.

Harry and Ron stood silently in the doorway. While they had known that Viktor’s sister, Nadia, was under his care, it was still surprising to see such a young child at Hogwarts. The girl could not be above six years old. She had soft white skin and the same dark expressions of her brother. The only true difference was in the face, when one looked at Viktor, they would note his brooding expressions, whereas Nadia’s face was bright with curiosity. Despite her young age, it seemed entirely possible that she knew all the answers to the questions a child would ask.

“See Viktor,” little Nadia began, “I told you, Herm-nee vould come and help.”

Hermione chuckled softly and swept the child into her arms.

“Can ve haf a tea party?” the little sprite asked.

“It is too late tonight, darling, but if you are good and go to bed, I will stay with you. We can have one in the morning,” Hermione said as she hugged the girl.

Nadia squealed and wormed her way out of Hermione’s grasp. She grabbed a blanket from behind her brother, kissed him quickly and ran to a door in the far corner of the room.

“Herm-nee! Story?” Nadia demanded sweetly.

“Just a moment, go in and get ready, let me talk to Viktor,” Hermione placated.

The girl disappeared behind the heavy door and Hermione sat next to Viktor on the couch.

“Can you,” Viktor began but she cut him off.

“I already promised a tea party, but yes, I’ll stay with her. Harry can tell Susan where I am. Viktor, please, take someone with you. I don’t want you going alone. I know that I’d rather be with you, but it will ease your mind if I’m with Nadia.” Hermione was clearly worried.

“Ron, vould you accompany me to the St. Mungo’s?” Viktor asked, his English continuing to improve.

Ron nodded and disappeared out the portrait to inform Professor McGonagall. Harry watched as Viktor took Hermione’s hand and pressed it to his cheek.

“Thank you,” he whispered to her.

“You’re welcome. Now get your things together. Ron will be back soon. Harry will you tell Susan what has happened and ask Ginny to pack my overnight bag? She’ll know what to get. Then would you mind bringing it down to me?” Hermione requested politely.

Harry nodded and felt rather stupid saying, “Everything is going to be alright.” He helped Viktor somewhat.

He passed Ron as they headed down the hall. Harry all but ran to the hospital wing to inform Susan. She had been at the meeting and knew that Viktor was involved, but she didn’t know the whole story. Harry hastily explained that Hermione wouldn’t be able to come to the wing for the rest of the night, and likely the next day. Susan smiled and understood. She said she would stay in the wing and that Harry had to bring her dinner the next day.

Harry laughed at her terms but agreed good-naturedly. Next, he shot up to Gryffindor tower. Fortunately, Ginny was reading in a large chair by the fire. He quickly explained that Hermione needed her overnight bag and he would explain when he got back. Ginny quickly leapt up to get Hermione’s things. She handed them over to Harry and said she would wait for him to come back.

He left for a short while, but returned quickly. He explained to Ginny that after the meeting Remus had informed everyone that Natasha was alive. He described Nadia and her bouncy nature and said that Hermione had chosen to stay with her because Krum needed her to be with the girl. Ron had been invited to join him, and he would give them all the details about her condition when he got back. Ginny listened, raptly to Harry’s little bits of information. Since she was still not a member, she knew what little information she could get was valuable.

For a long while, they talked about their holidays. Ginny blushed and thanked Harry for the beautiful, hand-embroidered handkerchief he had given her for Christmas. He hadn’t told her that it belonged to his mother, but he figured that the incredible scarlet phoenix in one of the corners would give her the hint.

Harry used one of the quills she gave him to pen a letter to his Aunt Petunia. Since the attack on Hogsmeade, he imagined she would be rather worried about him. He dropped a quick line or two for Dudley as well. Ever since Dudley had found out that Hagar was a Squib, he had been somewhat distant. Harry thought it had been the deception that took its toll, but slowly Dudley had taken to asking him a question here or there. Dudley had made the mistake of trying to figure out what Quidditch was and Charlie overheard. Three hours later, Dudley knew more about Quidditch than Harry did, and refused to ask any more questions until after Charlie was gone.

Ginny read quietly by the fire while Harry wrote to his relatives. Though she tried desperately to focus on her Charms book, she never managed to turn the page. Finally, she snapped the book shut and Harry looked up.

“Something bothering you, Ginny?” Harry asked.

“No…Yes…Well, maybe. You told me that we couldn’t be together because you had to fight, right? You said that you wanted me to be happy, correct? I don’t know what I should do, Harry. I’m not happy. I fought with you, Harry and I refuse to let you go off to battle while I sit in the castle. I can’t; it goes against my nature. Even though you don’t want to be with me, you don’t think you can make me happy, and you don’t want me to fight, I still love you. I fell in love with you a long time ago, and you don’t want me. Do you have any idea how much that hurts?” She finished with heavy strain in her voice.

“Ginny, I want to be with you, I just don’t want you to be any larger a target than you already are. Do you understand that? Do you know that I wish? That despite everything, I could be with you and that I hate the fact that you are with Colin. By the way, I’m sure he would love to know that you are sitting here telling me you love me, when you are obviously with him,” Harry snapped back, clearly frustrated to have to bring forth all the feelings that he tried so desperately to repress.

“I’m sure he would!” Ginny exclaimed back, “I would give anything to be with you. He knows it. You know it too, but you push me away because you keep trying to keep me out of danger. I’m not some bloody damsel in distress. Why won’t you let me fight with you? When are you going quit pushing me away?” She roared at him.

“Where the hell is this coming from, Ginny?” He spat. “I thought you understood. I just want to know that one person in my life is safe. I couldn’t do that for the Dursleys, I couldn’t do that for your parents either. I know I might already have to live with the loss of one or both of the best friends I’ve ever had. I don’t want to have to deal with the thought of losing you, too!”

Ginny stood up, threw her bag over her shoulder, and said she would see him tomorrow during their Occlumency lesson in the Founders’ Suite before storming up the stairs and into her dormitory.

Harry winced as he heard her door slam, but a part of him smiled. She loved him. He loved her. Then he realized that he had pushed her away, again, and she would probably never want him back.
Push by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Finally, we're nearing the end folks. Next chapter is Valentine's Day, a little H/G fluff just like you all wanted. Make sure you give me lots of reviews!!
Chapter Twenty
Push

The next day Harry was positively fuming. Everywhere he went, Ginny and Colin were there. Regardless of her testament yesterday, she was flirting, laughing, and being downright playful. Harry couldn’t get away from her smiles, and it killed him that not a single one was for him.

He wasn’t sure if it was their fight from last night or if he just needed a catalyst, but Harry felt like his feelings for Ginny had completely woken up. Not only did Harry have the uncontrollable urge to scream at her his undying and unwavering love, but he wanted to rip his own hair out at the fact that he actually thought she and Colin would be a good idea. What the hell had he been thinking? She wouldn’t be any safer with Colin than with himself. He wanted to protect her. How could he do that if she wasn’t with him? He knew she would find a way to fight in the end, but what good would it be if she wasn’t fighting with him?

In an attempt to finally escape Ginny and Colin, Harry retreated to the hospital wing with Susan’s dinner in hand. Hermione hadn’t returned from Krum’s quarters, despite the fact that he and Ron had returned earlier that morning. When Harry entered the hospital, a violent yell from Susan made him tear to her side.

“How could you do this, Draco?!” Susan hollered.

Harry was next to her in an instant and quickly cast a quick Muffliato.

“I didn’t have a choice, Susan, I never wanted this,” Malfoy hissed.

“I can’t believe I let myself trust you! I thought you would actually make an effort to be human, but now I know that the notorious Draco Malfoy is actually a manipulative, sub-species troll. I have wasted hours upon hours trying to make your stay here a little less miserable. You are a waste of my time and a waste of flesh, Draco Malfoy!” she shrieked as she ripped the tray from Harry’s hand and flew into the office.

“Malfoy,” Harry began with trepidation, “I have no idea what you did to make her so upset, but if I were you, I’d do everything in my power to fix it.”

“Shove off, Potter,” Malfoy ground out through clenched teeth.

Harry hastily removed the spell and followed Susan. He found her stabbing her food and mumbling about stupid people.

“Susan,” Harry said cautiously. Susan looked up from her plate and glared at him expectantly.

“I love you?” he questioned, thinking it a smart thing to say at the moment, but Susan just snorted and pushed her plate away.

“I love you too, Harry. Though I can’t say why, you are a bit of a fool,” she said with the playfulness in her voice returning.

“What was that about?” Harry asked jerking his head towards Malfoy’s cot.

“He is just stupid. He told you he was doing what was best for him, right? Well, apparently, that is going to put him in a lot of danger and he isn’t going to do anything about it. Before you ask, I’m not going to tell you. At least, not yet, he trusts me right now, and I know that is important. Wait until we are out of the hospital wing, okay?” Susan explained sadly.

Harry nodded dumbly and wished for a distraction from this awkward situation. Hermione had always been a hero to Harry, but he never felt it so much when she came up behind him at that very moment and looped her hand through the crook of his elbow.

“Miss me?” Hermione asked with a bright smile on her face.

“Of course!” Susan exclaimed and jumped up to hug Hermione.

“We are getting a new patient, but the good news is that she is very sweet and we will attend to her in her quarters. We actually will be making a house call.” Hermione laughed.

Harry looked slightly confused for a moment before he realized that she was talking about Natasha. Hermione pre-empted his question and answered it for him.

“She is going to make a complete recovery,” Hermione began, “she had been attacked by Dementors, but suffered no permanent physical damage. The Healers told Viktor and Ron that they could bring her back here as long as Roni agreed to supervise her recovery. Once Roni cleared her and got her settled in her rooms...”

“Someone say my name?” Roni interrupted coming up behind Harry and Hermione.

After Roni and Hermione informed Susan of Natasha’s condition, Roni threw both girls out of the hospital and demanded that they not return until the next night. They had both been so involved in their work-study that they had completely forgotten to attend to any other duties they had. Hermione said she was going to help Ron and do rounds tonight, whereas Harry told Susan they were going to have a walk about the grounds.

Even though the grounds were lightly dusted with snow, the January air was crisp and clean. It wasn’t a bitter cold, just cool enough to huddle close and cast a warming charm or two. At first Harry suggested a visit to Hagrid, but once they were outside and in a playful snow fight, they fell into a happy conversation and all thoughts of Hagrid were forgotten.

“Then, Remus told Fred and George that if they ever tried to prank Tonks again, he’d prove who the mastermind of the Marauders truly was.” Harry said laughingly.

Susan seemed to enjoy hearing Harry’s stories and because they were good friends, Harry could tell that there was something bothering her.

“So, Susan,” Harry began, “When are you going to tell me what’s bothering you?”

“Oh, Harry!” Susan exclaimed, “I’ve made such a mess of things. Draco has made such an incredible recovery. He still can’t move his arm, but his spirits have improved greatly. He even gave me a Christmas present. Anyhow, I had actually let myself think that we were friends, and today he tells me that regardless of whether or not he wants to go to battle, the Dark Lord has found a way for him to be present at the final battle. He told me because he is afraid and I know he doesn’t want to go against his family, but what choice does he have? He either dies on the battlefield or dies for not going to battle. I’m just so frightened for him.”

Harry listened to her and exhaled heavily as she began to cry. He wrapped a strong arm around her and held her close until she quieted down a bit.

“Well, the first thing I’m going to do is to talk to him. I may not like him very much, but he is getting information and I need to know exactly what he is doing. Secondly, you shouldn’t have to carry this burden by yourself. Let Hermione care for him for a few days; we all know that after an hour or two under Hermione’s watchful eye, Draco Malfoy will be begging for you to cater to him again. And last but not least, we need to tell Ron and Remus. Whatever means he has for getting out of Hogwarts, could also be a means for imprisoned Death Eaters to get out,” Harry explained carefully.

“I suppose you’re right. I had hoped that he would turn out to be good, but I guess he is nothing more than another Death Eater,” Susan replied sadly.

Harry braced her arms and said in a rant, “Susan, don’t lose faith. Mad-Eye said that you were the best influence Malfoy could have right now. We’re all scared and afraid to lose the ones we love. Look at how Neville keeps pushing Luna away. She nearly died but she is still by his side. Ron lost his father but Hermione hasn’t been out of his arms’ reach in months. Granted, those four are obscenely in love with each other…” he trailed off.

“Well, Harry,” she began, “we mustn’t forget you and your lovely Ginny. You may think that you are perfectly happy for Ginny and Colin, but I saw the way you reached out for her hand when she was talking about the battle. She wants to fight with you, but instead she has to fight against you. Like you said about Neville, you keep pushing Ginny away but she is still by your side. Have you ever asked Ginny what she wants? You do realize that even though she is no longer the girlfriend of ‘The Boy Who Lived’, she is still a target. She doesn’t want to be with ‘The Boy Who Lived’ she wants to be with Harry.”

Susan smiled as Harry kicked lightly at the ground for a moment.

“She is happy with Colin,” Harry whispered. “I may realize now that I want her back, but I won’t take away the reason for her happiness. Not if it means that all we would have together is a war.”

Susan nodded silently in understanding. She clasped Harry’s hands in hers and raised herself up to place a chaste kiss on his lips. Quietly, they both headed back up to the castle, completely unaware of the small audience they had attracted.

Meanwhile, a petite woman sauntered up the walkway to Hogwarts. Her feminine frame hidden under her cloak, she wound her way through the halls in search of one of the mischievous Weasleys. Fleur had sent Verity to Hogwarts with questions about the store. Thanks to Fleur and Verity, Weasleys Wizards Wheezes would be ready to open in just a few weeks. Fleur usually came to Hogwarts, but today Verity had volunteered.

Verity decided that it was time to see for herself what Fred and George were playing at. After a brief search about the castle, she traipsed off towards the Quidditch pitch. While there were no matches this year, Peeves had told her that the twin caretakers were likely improving the locker rooms and broom shed. Finally, she caught up with them outside of the broom shed.

“Verity!” Fred exclaimed as he jumped towards her. “What is our faithful shop keep doing here this chilly afternoon?”

She violently pushed a parchment into Fred’s hand before saying, “Fleur sent me. You two haven’t answered our owls, so I brought the questions here. You can owl them back.” Verity had a very soft voice, but neither twin expected to hear her speak with such distain and malice.

They watched her turn hastily on her heel and march towards the gate. Fred looked at George. George was staring a hole into the back of Verity’s head. Before Fred could question the odd exchange between Verity and his twin, George jumped into a sprint after her. Curiosity fuelled Fred to follow and soon he was enjoying a heated argument that made no sense whatsoever to him.

George grabbed Verity and they began yelling at a furious pace. Their faces were lit only by the soft glow of Hogwarts and its reflection on the lake. The frigid water clearly demonstrated their visages when George pulled Verity to him. He tried to embrace her and whisper a tempered apology, but she heaved herself away from him.

Fred, finally understanding their bizarre actions, did what he thought was best. He waved his wand and conjured a thick bean bag chair and watched them with rapture. He looked around for a moment and conjured a bag of popcorn and a butterbeer before losing himself in their affair.

“I was terrified, George,” Verity shrieked. “You sent me away from the store. You knew I went to get Fred from Lee’s. You had to have known that I would come back. I saw you! Do you know what it did to me to see you like that? Do you know that I cried for days when they took you away, and then I cried for days out of pure joy when Fleur told me you had recovered? I sent you an owl, but you never responded. I waited at the park for five hours hoping you would remember, but you never came. And finally, I come tonight to see you and all you can do is stare at me. Just let go, George!” she screeched as he pulled her against him again.

“I’m sorry, Verity, I really am! I’ve been a daft prick, I grant you, but I didn’t know what to do,” George hissed as she wrenched her hand out of his grasp again. “The Death Eaters came after me. Now you understand one of the reasons I wanted to keep us quiet. The other obvious reason was that nitwit!” George bellowed as he jerked his thumb at his twin.

Fred had the decency to feign shock and pain before a stupid grin appeared on his face. As they recommenced their argument, Fred shook his head of his thoughts and returned to his popcorn.

“Verity, please, I was scared. I didn’t know what would happen if I saw you again. I love you, you know that, but I literally put you in the path of Death Eaters! I couldn’t face you again. I couldn’t ask you to stay with me, when I know they’ll come after me again.” George’s shoulders slumped heavily as he reached out one last time and pulled her hand into his.

“You never said it,” she whispered to him.

“But you knew,” he answered back.

“I love you, too,” Verity said as she stopped pushing away and looked into his eyes.

“I’m sorry,” George gasped as he bowed his tall frame and pulled her into a kiss.

Fred realized that Verity and his twin had completely forgotten him and did what he knew George would do to him if the situation had been reversed. He melted what little ice there was on the lake and levitated them in. Freezing, sputtering, and cursing his name, the couple clambered out of the frigid water, and the three made their way back up to the castle.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry dragged himself into the Founder’s Suite. He was dreading having to deal with Ginny. The moment he stepped through the painting, he saw her. She looked like a goddess. Light poured into the room and danced on her hair. His mouth dry, he nodded his hello to Mr. Ollivander.

“Well, children, I can not stay long today. In fact, I really should be going already, but today you need to work on Legilimency. In order for you to be able to feel what it is like for someone to penetrate your mind, you must be able to understand the attack. You will attack one another. First, do not try and fight, then bring forth your image of strength, and let that image fight down your attacker. Now begin to meditate on your being of strength. When you have finished with this exercise, focus your energy on putting that image to rest and allow one another into your minds. The spell is Legilimens!

Harry and Ginny stared determinedly away from one another as Mr. Ollivander abandoned them to their task. They were only brought out of their reveries when Godric began making kissing noises at Ginny. She smiled weakly at him before turning to Harry. Her sad eyes spoke volumes and she walked up to Slytherin’s portrait.

“Potential is nothing, unless you do something about it.” Ginny stated clearly.

“You are quite right, my dear.” Salazar acknowledged and smiled at her.

“Ginny,” Harry started, but she raised a hand to stop him.

Her heavy voice asked, “Could I just have another riddle please?”

Harry felt his heart tear a little at her stress, but knew better than to push her. His eyes looked to Godric for support, but Godric was only a painting.

“Wouldn’t you like a reward first, Ginny?” Helga offered, clearly trying to brighten Ginny’s mood.

“Your lessons are their own rewards,” Ginny whispered.

“Then I ask you and Harry, how do you define courage?” Godric said, his ever present smile waning under her sadness.

Ginny turned back to Harry. A lone tear escaped from her eye and he fought the urge to pull her to him and kiss away the pain.

“Harry,” she said, her voice cracking a little, “I want you to try and invade my mind first. The first time, I will keep my defences down. Then, we will try again and I will bring forth my image of strength. Can we just try it and get it over with?”

Harry nodded dumbly, raised his wand and cast the spell.

He saw her kissing Percy and punching him the night of Bill’s wedding. Harry saw her hold up a lacy teddy and Tonks laugh, and then he saw himself and Susan. They were kissing sweetly, only hours before. The next image came fast and Harry was leaning over her body as she woke up in the Chamber of Secrets. Then he saw her flying at break-neck speeds in the dead of night. She couldn’t be more than nine years old. Harry pulled out of her mind just in time to see another few tears leap from her eyes.

She quickly wiped them away and asked him to try again.

This time he saw himself. He was pouring over a book in the library. At first he thought it was a memory and that her image hadn’t come forth, but then he realized that he was her image of strength. He withdrew from her mind and she walked to the window, gazing out into the expanse of the grounds. After a moment, she collected herself. Harry tried to look at her, but it hurt. She barely whispered a warning before she invaded his mind.

Harry felt the familiar feeling of dizziness as he watched his memories slide past him. He saw his Uncle Vernon scratching at the door to let Greyback and Bellatrix into number four. He saw the Quidditch victory party where he leapt at Ginny and kissed her. Then he saw the Awakening. Next, came the image of her, hardened and lost, at Arthur’s funeral and lastly the image of their break up at Dumbledore’s funeral.

She pulled away from his mind and gave him a few moments to collect his focus and focus on his image of strength. Finally, he turned to her and indicated that he was ready and she forced her way into his mind again.

He saw and felt her invade. At first, it was like a dull ache on his sinuses, but then he could see her image. He put his idea of Molly Weasley forth. She now looked considerably less like Molly and much more like his mother. She was slender and curvy, but she didn’t have her trademark eyes. The fire red hair was pulled back away from her face and she stared Ginny down, much like a tiger stalking its prey. Harry saw Ginny smile a little grin before she pulled away.

“Goodnight, Harry,” she hissed as she grabbed her bag and moved for the door.

“Ginny wait!” he exclaimed begging for just a few minutes more with her. “I know the answer to Godric’s riddle!”

Frantically, he began to try and find the perfect example of courage. He was desperate to see her smile, but she looked so sad. He saw the way her eyes lit up for a brief moment before her solemnity returned.

“Well, Harry?” she asked anxiously.

“Erm,” Harry stalled. “Well, when I was in my first year, Neville stood up to Ron, Hermione, and me. He said we shouldn’t sneak out. He didn’t know we were going to stop Quirrell from getting the Stone, but Dumbledore said that it is much harder to stand up to your friends than it is your enemies.”

He didn’t realize that he sounded completely unsure of himself until he finished speaking. Godric raised an eyebrow at him and Ginny smiled a weak smile before she cast her eyes to the ground and shook her head.

“Let me give it a try,” Ginny said sardonically. “I know this wonderful boy. I can’t even fathom what he means to me. But because he thinks that being with me could somehow hurt me or put me in danger, he refuses to do what would make us both happy. He chose to do what was right, instead of what was easy. It was the right thing to do back then, but now the situation is so different…Courage is making the conscious choice to do the right thing, instead of doing the easy thing.”

Just before she pushed out of the room, Harry heard Godric say that she was right. But of course Ginny was right. Everything about Ginny was right and everything Harry did suddenly felt completely wrong.
Twenty-Four Very Long Hours by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
I am very poor and not JKR. God I wish though...anyhow please oh please review!
Chapter Twenty-One
Twenty-Four Very Long Hours

Harry and Ginny were no longer speaking to each other. While Rowena pushed them to communicate when they were building their Occlumency and Legilimency skills, they only spoke the words of the spells they cast at each other. Days passed, and soon Valentines’ Day was looming.

Percy, following Remus’ request, had been teaching duelling skills to his sixth and seventh year students. These students were excited to learn that they would be allowed to duel with the Auror trainees. While Ron thought this was a good plan and that these students would be better prepared should they need to fight, Harry couldn’t help feel a little wary of duelling with Ginny.

Like Ginny and Harry, Susan refused to attend to Draco. Harry talked to Malfoy, as he had promised Susan he would. It turned out that though Harry had forbidden Kreacher from helping Malfoy in his previous year, the elf had deliberately defied him like Dobby had done to the Malfoys. Because of his betrayal, the ugly house elf had punished himself severely. The elf had thrown himself from the Astronomy tower shortly after helping the blond invalid.

Kreacher had gone to Malfoy in an attempt to help the sickly blond. Malfoy used Kreacher to learn that his mother was alive, though she had gone into hiding to avoid the Dark Lord’s displeasure. Kreacher had also gone to Lucius Malfoy, and informed him of his son’s survival. Malfoy senior then took it upon himself to inform the Dark Lord that his son was alive and now working as a spy for their side, within Hogwarts. Draco had said that he would do what would be best for himself. Had he refused to “spy,” Lucius would have ordered the elf to kill him.

When Harry asked Malfoy what information he had given Kreacher, Malfoy only confessed to telling the elf that he was stuck in the hospital wing. Granted Harry was pleased to hear that Malfoy hadn’t said anything damning, but he became increasingly worried that Susan, Hermione, and Roni were in danger. Harry confronted Malfoy about his worries, but Malfoy volunteered to swear the wizards’ oath that he would not harm them.

Harry was still worried about the Horcruxes. Now that he knew that the dagger wasn’t one, he was becoming more and more agitated about the fact that there was no indication as to what they could be. Nagini was their only lead, and Hermione wouldn’t make any comment about her suspicions.

Hermione had been attending to Malfoy, much to his displeasure. To everyone’s great surprise, he never called her ‘Mudblood’ any more and only referred to her by her last name. Ultimately, they got on quite well. They never spoke to one another unless it was very necessary. It was clear that a professional relationship had developed. And while they were never kind to one another, she would obligingly leave him a book or two so that he could amuse himself.

Hermione and Ron continued to get closer. Everyday he would walk her to the dorms after her shift in the hospital wing, and after a few awkward attempts, they had managed to hold hands. It was only once, but for them, it was monumental.

Finally, the holiday dawned and everyone was buzzing about the big duel. The teachers had agreed to shorten classes so that the school could watch in the Great Hall. Plus, there was the added bonus of having more teachers on hand to supervise. Percy announced that the fights would begin. His students were to partner off with one of the Aurors in training. For the sake of the Hogwarts trainees, the Ministry had sent over seven other trainees. While they were a bit older than Harry and Ron, they were at the same level of experience.

Kingsley and Tonks were bustling about setting up, while Percy gave his students a few last minute instructions. Colin and Demzela were the unlucky students to be picked first to duel. Colin was going up against Ron. Demzela, upon seeing her opponent, completely froze up and ran away. Colin had been able to hold Ron off for about a minute before he fell to the Full-Body Bind. Because of his non-verbal skills, Ron had become quite deft at quickly immobilizing his opponent.

Teachers and students alike watched as duels began in several directions. Moody had suggested that instead of continuing on one by one, they split up and several duels commenced under the eyes of one or two teachers. It was an awesome sight as Hannah took on three sixth years and Ron disarmed Luna and Romilda Vane. Harry had fought Neville and incapacitated him easily before he moved on to duel with the Patil twins. They were a challenge, as they both moved with grace and ease; in addition, they also seemed to be able to communicate without words. He soon learned that they were capable of anticipating each other’s every move and he was only able to take them out with the mirror shield. The duels continued for about twenty minutes before Percy called them to a halt.

All of the students had fallen at the hands of the Auror trainees except for one. Ginny stood out in the crowd battling with Ron. Clearly, both were tired and were glad to put their wands down when Percy called out. Percy smiled at Ginny before turning to Tonks and whispering something to her.

“Ladies and gentlemen, since Miss Weasley has managed to maintain a duel so well, we would like to see how she would hold up against two opponents. Miss Abbot and Mr. Potter, if you will?” Percy called out in a professional voice.

The students clapped and cheered Ginny on as the three bowed to one another. Ginny threw the first curse at Harry. He hastily put up the mirror shield again. She smiled for a moment as the curse hurled toward her and she put up her own mirror shield throwing the curse towards Hannah. Hannah jumped out of the way and the curse drove into the planks of the floor. A small spark erupted and before Hannah could stamp out the flame, Ginny waved her left hand and encircled Hannah in a circle of heatless and smokeless flames. Apparently, her Phoenix Brander skills had grown, and she manipulated the flames to prevent Hannah from firing off a single shot.

Harry tried to throw curses and hexes, but Ginny deflected them all and got in several good shots of her own. Sensing Harry’s need, Ron jumped into the fray. She laughed as she shot the Falling Trousers hex and Ron stood in the middle of the Great Hall with his pants around his ankles. Distracted by Ron’s maroon boxers, Harry tried to avoid the Tickling Hex, but she got him on the tailbone and he fell to the floor.

With one hand holding his pants, Ron tried to fight her off, but soon she had him with the Full-Body Bind. A general roar exploded through the hall as Ron hit the ground. Percy ran up to his sister and spun several circles with her in his grasp. After Ginny let the flames down, Hannah came up and hugged Ginny in congratulations. The whole school was stunned by her performance. McGonagall was so pleased that she awarded Ginny thirty points for Gryffindor and as the students filtered towards their dormitories, Ginny laughed as Fred and George dropped to their knees chanting, “We’re not worthy!”

While the duel had been amazing entertainment, everyone was excited to get out of the hall so they could get ready for the Valentines’ Day feast. It was rumoured that McGonagall had ordered hundreds of magical flowers for the students to give one another. When Harry recovered and returned to the hall, he smiled as the beautiful bouquets amplified the subtle beauty of the room. Warm light emanated from the tables and it smelled remarkable.

He gave Ron an odd look as he sat waiting for the food to arrive. Ron lazily draped his arm around Hermione and he turned a deep crimson when he saw Harry’s mocking glare. Harry just smiled good-naturedly and shook his head.

The food was amazing. Exquisite tarts and pastries appeared after the entrée and everyone felt quite full. Just as their food was beginning to digest, the whole table became silent as one by one, people began to notice a verbal war between Colin and Ginny.

“What do you mean, I showed you up!!!” she hissed at Colin, cautiously scanning the table for onlookers.

“I just meant that I’m supposed to protect you! I mean, I’m your boyfriend!” Colin shot back angrily.

“Well the last thing I need is someone else who thinks they need to protect me!” she snarled. “Can’t you get over your ego? I was great today!”

“You have to be bloody perfect at everything don’t you, Ginny?” he spat.

“Sod off, Colin!” she growled as she leaned back into her chair, trying to calm her temper.

“We’re through!” he whispered venomously, and stormed out of the Great Hall.

Hermione had watched wide-eyed and moved down the table to console Ginny, but Ginny just wrenched her shoulder away from Hermione’s hand and ran out of the hall. Her eyes brimmed with tears. Harry watched her run and suddenly had no desire to be in the hall anymore. He wanted to run after her, but he was sure that would be a bad idea as she was already furious with him. Wanting time to think, he excused himself from the table, and slowly made his way to the Founders’ Suite.

He could hardly believe what he saw.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Hermione and Ron watched Harry skulk away with interest, but knew better than to do anything. Hermione returned to Ron’s side, and hugged him gently.

“I need to get up to the hospital wing for a few minutes, and then we have rounds. Could you come and get me in about twenty minutes?” she asked sweetly.

Ron nodded and she pressed a kiss to his cheek before sweeping away gracefully. She never saw Remus make his way to Ron or the way Ron’s face fell as Remus pulled him aside.

Hermione just finished helping Malfoy back into bed when Remus and McGonagall came up to talk to her.

“Hermione,” Remus began sadly, “we should go into the office for a minute.”

Hermione fearfully sank onto the edge of Malfoy’s bed, frozen by his tone.

“Just…what happened?” she stuttered anxiously.

“Death Eaters attacked several Muggle establishments this evening. They attacked the schools that Hagar and Dudley attend. They burned a church to the ground and murdered half the patrons at a restaurant in downtown London,” McGonagall provided as she provided a soothing arm toward Hermione’s shoulder.

Remus continued, “Your father took your mother to that restaurant for the holiday, Hermione. Your father survived, but…” his voice cracked as he chokingly continued. “Your mother was killed. Hermione, I’m so sorry. Let’s get you into the office.” Remus extended a hand as he tried to guide her into a standing position.

A single tear tore down her cheek and she asked, “Who?” The heartbreak was clear in her voice.

Remus bit his lip for a moment, knowing the meaning to her question, he whispered, “Malfoy, it was Lucius Malfoy.”

Hermione sat stone still. Slowly, she turned at the waist to stare at the son of Lucius Malfoy.

“You,” Hermione ground out in a strangely calm, forced voice. “You are the son of the man, the sick bastard, who killed my mother. You made my life…a living hell for years…And all I can think to say to you, right now, is that I am sorry. I don’t think I can be your Healer, anymore.”

She rose to her feet sharply and swept past Remus and Professor McGonagall. As if she was in another body, she felt herself walk towards the exit. She saw Ron blocking her path. She moved to go past him, but he deliberately stepped in front of her.

“Move, Ron!” She heard herself command.

But he just shook his head, and reached for her. She yanked her arm from him grasp, hissing at his touch. He pulled her to him forcefully this time, and she hit him. First she smacked his chest, then his arms. She was pinned beneath his strong arms and she couldn’t hold it in any longer.

And Hermione cried, finally letting Ron hold her, and giving in to the grief.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry watched as Ginny and Colin playfully threw grapes at one another, trying to catch them in their mouths.

“Hi, Harry!” Ginny exclaimed laughingly as a grape hit her in the head.

“Hiya, Harry!” Colin mimicked as Ginny whipped a grape at him.

Harry stared quizzically at them for several moments before he found his voice. “Is this some sort of reconciliation?”

“Oh, Harry,” Colin sighed dramatically. “Ginny and I have ‘broken up’ if that’s what you’ll call it. You know how rumours spread in this place. Ages ago, we realized that if we broke up it would be because Ginny was pining away for you…or worse. We couldn’t have that now!” Colin explained happily.

“Colin,” Ginny hissed. “Let Harry be, the plan was a smashing success. Now just remember to keep up appearances for about a week or so. Then we’ll decide to be friends again, okay?”

“Have I missed something?” Harry asked confusedly.

“Many things, love,” Ginny laughed.

“Harry, when Ginny came back this year she was distraught. First, she lost you at Dumbledore’s funeral…” Colin was cut off as Ginny hit him in the arm. “Her father died, George was attacked. She needed someone to be with her through all of that. She wanted it to be you,” Colin said the last bit quietly.

Ginny turned her sad and angry face away from Harry to gaze out the window. Harry knew she didn’t want him to know all of this but he also knew Colin would continue.

“I asked Ginny to help me keep a secret, early this year. In turn, she needed someone to be there for her. I honestly think I got the better end of the deal,” Colin shook his head and bit his lip. “Harry, I’m gay. That was my big secret. That should answer every single question you have about the relationship of Colin and Ginny,” he stated grandly, as he continued toward the door. “Now, I think I should return to that ever tiresome Charms essay.”

“Colin!” Ginny shrieked. “You finished that yesterday!”

Colin smiled goofily as he moved past Harry and towards the door. “Did I say Charms? I meant Potions,” and he hurried past Harry.

“That git!” Ginny exclaimed.

“Colin is gay?” Harry asked stupidly.

“Yes and he finished his Potions essay two days ago!” She huffed.

“Colin is gay?” Harry repeated.

“You’re bloody daft!” Ginny and Godric bellowed at the same time.

Harry whipped around to stare at his founder. He saw Ginny sink to the floor and sit down.

“Clearly, she and Colin were together to help each other!” The portrait remarked. “He dated her so that people wouldn’t question his sexuality and she dated him for companionship. For Helga’s sake, it was a match of convenience! Surely you can understand that. Now if you’re half the Gryffindor I expect you are, you should apologize for being a right stupid wanker!”

Harry turned to look at Ginny’s face. She was laughing and crying at the same time. She reached a hand out to him and he took it, trying to help her up. Instead, she helped him down and he sat next to her, quietly in awe.

“You see, Harry,” she said. “Courage is being with you. When you’re stupid, or noble, or just being Harry, I still love you. When you’re facing a huge basilisk or snogging me in the common room after a Quidditch match, I still love you. When you go against Voldemort for the last time, I’ll still love you, and you’ll know it because I’ll be there, fighting with you to prove it.”

Godric smiled and laughed heartily at the red head, but nodded in agreement. “You are right again, my dear. That is a very…devout explanation of courage. Would you like a reward this time or would you rather another riddle?”

Harry realized that Ginny was still holding his hand. Her fierce grip intertwined her fingers with his. He spoke before she could. “Tell us a story, Godric. Have you always been such a flirt?”

Ginny giggled beside Harry and rested her head on his shoulder. They both chuckled as Godric laughed and tried to avoid the question. Finally, Helga came to his rescue.

“Oh! He was always that bad!” Helga chimed. “He would flirt with witches of every shape and size. He fancied redheads best, I think, but eventually fell for just one woman. And he fell awfully hard! After they were married, he flirted with her as he always had. It was like a permanent courtship. Unbelievable, some of the things he did to woo his wife. A fresh flower in her pocket, gifts of jewellery and gold, he never ceased. He loved her so fiercely that it could not be contained.”

Godric smiled wistfully as he remembered his wife and tried to speak in his defence. “She always loved bragging about how doting I was. She especially loved telling Salazar about the faces I would make when feeding the babies. My daughters were blessed to have their mother’s beauty. They both married wonderful men. We taught them early on to marry for love and happiness. When I had this portrait made, my wonderful wife insisted that I add my flirtatious spirit to the visage.”

Harry and Ginny laughed at Godric and smiled. They knew better than to expect a serious answer from him. Harry lazily lifted his head to look down at Ginny. He smiled. They weren’t together, but he suddenly realized that she never wanted to push him away and in the end, she pulled him closer. Mentally scratching his head, he smiled at her conspiracy.

He stared at her lovingly for another moment or two, before he heard her ask for another riddle. This time Helga obliged.

“Demonstrate loyalty.” Helga’s sweet voice commanded.

“Is it me,” Ginny started to ask, “or are these riddles becoming much more hands on?” Her voice was a little weary but she chuckled nonetheless.

Harry nodded in agreement and rested his chin on the top of her head. They sat several minutes enjoying their silence and unspoken joy. Only when the door snapped open did they look up. Professor McGonagall, looking particularly formidable, folded her hands in front of her. Her thin lips were pressed firmly together while her students leapt to their feet.

“I’m sorry to interrupt,” she said heavily, “But Miss Granger needs you. Her mother was killed in a Death Eater attack. She was told just before she was to go on rounds. Mr. Weasley is with her, but he must leave early tomorrow morning for his appointment at St. Mungo’s. I know this will be difficult for both of you, but please return to Gryffindor tower. She needs you both.”

McGonagall turned sharply and left them alone. Ginny sighed as she ran a hand through her long hair. She blushed slightly as she realized that she was still gripping Harry’s hand in hers. Harry’s eyes had saddened considerably and they both realized that their night was going to be much longer than they had ever thought.

Harry slightly tugged on Ginny’s arm to pull her forward, to make the journey back to their dorms. As they moved, he slowly paused and turned to look at Helga.

“Our best friend has lost her mother. The man she loves is having surgery tomorrow. The last people she wants to see would be us. She loves us, but we will remind her of everyone else that has been lost because of this war. Despite all of that, we go to her. Loyalty can never be explained or described, because loyalty is an action. Courage, knowledge, and potential are excellent characteristics of a person, but loyalty requires a person to move outside of what they are and make a sacrifice in order to help someone else.” Harry said nothing further and waited for no response.

Harry and Ginny left the Founders’ Suite and solemnly walked up to the Tower. Their hearts heavy, they said nothing to one another on the journey, but walked with arms around each other. Trying to brace themselves for the impact, they hugged each other one last time, before whispering the password to the Fat Lady.
What She Missed Most by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
We are so very...dangerously close to the end now. I beg you to review. In this chapter, Ron AND Hermione get to say what the non-delusional people have always known would be said. And the winners are announced
Chapter Twenty-Two
What She Missed Most

Ginny pushed past Harry as the portrait swung open. He sighed heavily as Hermione fought to push away from Ron. Hermione wailed against him as she struggled in his arms, and groaned when Ginny rested a hand on her waist. Hermione quieted but only slightly as she tried to yell Ginny away. Several students were coming out of their dorms to see what the yelling was about. Immediately, Ginny berated the spectators. She whispered to Colin and Demelza that Hermione’s mother had been killed, and they instantly ushered the younger students back up to dorms.

Lavender and Parvati both looked sad as their dorm mate cried against Ron. Harry thought for a moment they would go back to their dorms or say something that would infuriate Hermione more, but they only whispered something to Ginny and began to move around Hermione. Parvati sighed heavily and retrieved Hermione’s bag from Ron’s shoulder. Ginny watched her disappear up the stairs. Lavender followed her, but returned quickly with a cool, wet cloth and began to dab Hermione’s face. Hermione began to relax and finally, Ron was able to coax her sit in front of the fire.

Harry watched helplessly as Lavender wiped away Hermione’s sad tears. Hermione slowly grew silent as Ginny came around the couch. Parvati was with her and together they brushed her wild hair from her face and into a thick plait. Harry could now see her red face and the streaks of tears. Her stained face tore at his heart and all he could think to do was sit with her. Harry had never thought Hermione so beautiful, but she was. The fire made light dance off her pained face as the tears swept down her cheeks. Her lips were red and full, but he couldn’t help but notice that despite her beauty all he wanted to do was make her stop crying.

Only after he settled himself at her feet did he realize that Colin and Demelza had returned carrying several pillows. Slowly, their closest friends began to make a pile in front of the fire. Hermione sank onto a pillow next to Ginny and Ron. Ron held her shoulders tightly as she leaned into him. Her sobs had softened and her breathing regulated. Everyone relaxed as she drifted into a deep, fitful sleep. Ron and Ginny forgot about everyone else in the room as they tended to the girl. Ron held the bulk of her weight and Ginny moved around him to make certain they were both comfortable.

Harry held Hermione’s hand and felt foolish for not being able to think of something more helpful. Demelza worked silently, removing Hermione’s shoes as Lavender and Parvati aid out a blanket over Hermione’s legs before taking their own pillows and lying down in front of the fire. Harry looked wistfully at the now vacant couch. His spot was rather uncomfortable, but soon Ginny snuggled in between him and Hermione. He quickly decided to suffer silently, as Neville guided Seamus to the couch before Neville took a spot near Harry.

The pile was complete and before long, everyone had fallen into a heavy sleep. Harry wrapped an arm around Ginny, to hold one of Hermione’s hands. Ginny spooned Hermione and held her waist tightly. Ron lovingly stroked Hermione’s exhausted face as she whimpered helplessly in her sleep. Parvati, Demelza, and Lavender slept nearest to the fire, but Colin was sprawled out not too far away. Seamus snored softly on the couch and Neville murmured in his sleep a short distance away from Harry.

The night seemed to last days. Every so often, a person would wake up. Hermione woke up twice. She seemed to forget where she was and why she was there, but when reality set back in she began to cry again. The moment her first tear fell, Ginny and Ron instinctively pulled her tighter between them. Ron rocked her slightly in his arms and Ginny shushed her with a melodic voice. Harry reached up to wipe her tears and she smiled sadly at her friends. The second time, she didn’t cry out, instead she just turned into Ginny. She rested her head on her friend’s shoulder and Ron embraced her, kissing her lightly on the head.

Distantly, Harry heard the clock chime the time. It was nearly seven. Ron would be leaving in just a few minutes to have his surgery. Harry didn’t know how to help Hermione. Harry realized that when Ron left, he would have to be there for Hermione, but he felt so useless. It only took a moment for him to realize that he was more afraid of having to deal with Hermione than he was concerned for her and he felt horrible. He loved her dearly and she had been there for him, now he had to be there for her. Harry heard the common room door open and someone sweep in almost soundlessly. He jumped when he heard a crisp clearing of the throat.

Eyes snapped open as they scrambled to their feet. Harry would later swear that McGonagall almost smiled, but at the moment he was too scared to notice.

“While your devotion to Miss Granger is touching, I think it would be best if you all went to your rooms and prepared for the day,” she announced in a clear voice.

Quickly Ginny and Colin cleaned the room of the excess pillows and blankets as everyone moved towards their stairs.

“Mr. Weasley, your brother is here to take you to the hospital for your appointment. Miss Granger, I know you had hoped to accompany him, but your father is asking for you. Tonks has volunteered to escort you to St. Mungo’s as well, but I must insist you wait until after lunch.”

Hermione nodded weakly and turned to go to her dorm. She didn’t look back and headed silently up the stairs. Everyone watched her go, before Ron brought their attention back with snapping fingers. He pointed to where Hermione had just been and then pointed to Harry and Ginny. They both knew that he wanted them to watch her. They smiled in agreement and Ginny hugged her brother. She wished him good luck and he strode out of the common room with McGonagall close behind.

Ginny and Harry exchanged a brief glance with one another, before silently heading to their rooms to get dressed.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Ginny knew it was useless, but she tried all the same. Hermione simply refused to eat. Instead, she drank several glasses of cold water. Harry couldn’t help but think she was likely dehydrated after last night’s tears, but kept the thought to himself. While Harry was at his first training session of the day, he worried about Hermione. He raced through his procedures and after Kingsley threw him out for his distraction, he went to find his friend. He carefully examined the Marauders map to find her and hurried to meet her down by the lake. He ran to find her and relaxed slightly as he saw her tightly bundled into her robe. She smiled weakly as he sat in the snow next to her.

“I’m worried about you,” he confessed.

“How did you cope? You lost them both.” she whispered sadly.

“I never got to grieve. I didn’t know what they were like. I didn’t know my dad was a prankster. I never knew my mum was a SpitFire. I didn’t know what to miss. You have your memories, good and bad. You have people who love you to help you through.” Harry tried to explain.

Hermione let herself smile genuinely for the first time, “Harry, I love you too. You may not be my brother but so help me if you’re not.”

She leaned in and kissed him on the cheek and ruffled his hair. She sniffed and wiped her nose with the handkerchief. Her mother had embroidered it and given it to her for Christmas. She fought the thoughts and tried to think of something else.

“Harry,” she whispered.

“Yes, Hermione,” Harry answered dutifully.

“I think Ron fancies me.” Her voice cracked a little and she smiled again.

Harry chuckled and wrapped his arms around her, helping her to her feet. As they made their way back to the castle, Hermione’s smile waned as she saw Tonks approaching her.

“Wotcher Harry!” Tonks exclaimed. “Hermione, I got McGonagall to let us break out of here. You and I are going to lunch, and then we’ll be off to the hospital. See you, Harry!”

Harry watched as Tonks yanked Hermione out of his hand and out of the gate. It wasn’t terribly unlike Tonks to take charge like that, but it was hard to watch Hermione being dragged away.

The Three Broomsticks had been busy and it took them a long time to get served. They finally made their way to the hospital. Hermione had frozen for only a moment before she made her ways through the pristine halls. Tonks led her to her father’s door.

Hermione timidly inched her way into the room. Her father looked perfectly healthy. He was dozing lightly and she silently moved to his side and slipped her hand into his. She jumped slightly as his eyes shot awake and he pulled her to him.

“I’ve been so worried about you,” he yelped as his daughter tried to pull away.

“Daddy,” Hermione regained her footing and whispered sadly, “What happened?”

Gregory Granger bit back his reply and averted his gaze. He exhaled deeply before he managed to answer.

“We wanted to have a nice evening. Your Mum had been working so hard lately and she needed a break. So I made reservations and we left. We even told Mercutio what we had planned. The dinner was lovely and just as the dessert cart came around everything went pitch black. Smoke filled the room and I could see a few flames. I was thrown about five feet away from your Mum. I heard her scream and Mercutio swept in. He got me out and dropped me here, in the hospital, but I haven’t seen him since. Remus told me that he took a curse for your mother and was reduced to ashes. I think they got him out of the rubble. I tried to get to her, but my legs…and that man…he laughed and the odd beams of light. I couldn’t do anything. I’m sorry, I tried. I shouldn’t have tried to take her out. We knew that it wasn’t safe, but we though that since it wasn’t magical…” Mr. Granger began to cry heavily as he held Hermione.

“Shh, Daddy,” Hermione soothed through her own tears, “It will be alright. It’s not your fault.”

A voice called from the door, “Hermione?” Tonks said gently.

Hermione waved her in and smiled weakly as her father finally released his hold on her arms.

“I have something for you,” Tonks smiled as she pulled an ugly baby bird from her pocket.

With Mercutio safely deposited in her hands, Hermione kissed the phoenix on the top of the head and giggled as he chirped in a disgruntled sort of way.

Tonks chatted with Hermione and her father for a nearly an hour before she told Hermione that it was time to return to Hogwarts. Hermione protested but finally relented and kissed her father goodbye. Once outside the door, Hermione pleaded with Tonks to let her see Ron.

She was worried about him. Ron was nervous about the operation, but she realized that she wanted to see him not because she was worried about it, but because she needed him. After seeing her father, she just wanted him to hold her hand. His touch would make her feel better.

“He was really nervous about the procedure,” Hermione reasoned as they weaved through the hallways. “I promised him that I would be there with him, that I would see him when he woke up!”

“Hermione,” Tonks mused in a strange voice, “Only immediate family members are allowed to visit him right now. He is in fair condition and woke up about an hour ago. I saw Molly leave a while ago. Now, just because the Healer’s assistant is on a break and Ron’s room is through the door behind you and the second door on the left, doesn’t mean that I can let you walk in there. Shame I have to go talk to a friend at the Healer’s desk. It should take about ten minutes. I trust you’ll stay put?” Tonks said as she arched a royal blue eyebrow.

Hermione nodded with a forced fake frown and watched as Tonks distractedly walked away. The minute Tonks turned her back; Hermione pushed through the door and quickly walked down the narrow corridor. Taking a deep breath, she walked into Ron’s room.

He was asleep, like her father had been. She could see his chest rise and fall rhythmically as he snored quietly. Soundlessly, she moved to his side. Hermione slipped her hand into his and swept his bangs off his brow with her free hand. He stirred in his sleep. She smiled softly and leaned in to kiss him on the cheek. Unsure of how it happened, Ron turned his sleeping face to her in that very second and their lips connected.

Ron’s eyes popped open and his strong arms encircled her into a tight embrace. As she melted in to him, she slowly pulled away from his face. He dipped in to capture her lips one more time, this time she gasped slightly and he smiled against her.

When he finally relaxed his grip on her waist, she immediately began to fuss. “Are you warm enough? Do you want another pillow? Your bangs have fallen into your face. Have you something to read? Did you think to bring that essay Kingsley wanted you to do?” Her rapid-fire questions clearly indicated her nervousness.

“Hermione,” he said, his voice scratchy but strong, “I’ve been awake five seconds. I’ve had my voice for less than five hours. Do you think you could wait five minutes before you start nagging at me to do homework?”

He watched her eyes spark about to rise to his bait, but she smiled. She laughed. She couldn’t stop and soon she was crying. She was crying because he remembered the night she confessed she missed their fights. She cried because he had called her a nag. She cried because instead of saying how sorry he was or something equally vexing, he just let her be herself and didn’t put up any pretence. She cried because she finally had herRon back, and because all the pain that she had felt in the last twenty-four hours was ebbing away in his embrace. He let her cry out her anxieties, soothing her with kind and gentle words. She settled after a few minutes, and murmured something against his neck.

He chuckled and brought her face up into his hands. He cupped her cheeks and pressed a soft kiss to her lips.

“What was that last bit?” he asked.

“I said, ‘I love you,” she said quietly. “You have been so great to me these past few months. I just wanted you to know…”she trailed off.

“I have always loved you, Hermione.” Ron stated simply and lovingly.

He kissed her passionately. She had never felt a kiss with so much emotion behind it. For a fleeting moment, she feared that she was betraying her mother’s memory to be so happy so soon after her death, but then again, Mrs. Granger would smile had she seen Hermione and Ron together in that moment. Hermione took solace in that knowledge and smiled into Ron’s lips as they caressed her mouth. She gasped tenderly as the kiss expanded and his tongue parted her lips and massaged her own. All too soon, Tonks came loudly barging into the room. With a rueful smile on her face, she screeched at Hermione.

“Hermione!” Tonks exclaimed. “I thought I told you not to come in here! Just because you wanted a snog, doesn’t mean you can lie to me!”

Hermione and Ron both turned a respectable shade of red before he pulled her to him again and kissed her tenderly. Taking one of her hands in his, Ron pulled her onto the bed so that she could relax against him.

“Tonks,” Ron began, “I wonder how Hermione knew where my room was. I wonder how Bill is going to react when he finds out that Hermione made it in here. I know about the pool and I know about your bet. You can stop now.”

This time Tonks turned red, but only her hair.

“What bet?” Hermione asked innocently.

“My family is notorious for gambling, particularly about each other’s love lives. I believe Charlie still owes me a galleon because Bill and Fleur aren’t pregnant yet, but that’s beside the point. Apparently, Mum and Tonks bet all my brothers and Remus that you and I would get together on the day of my operation.”

“Well then, I suppose we should decide whether or not we should get together today…” Hermione said dangerously. “What’s the bet?”

Tonks eyed the couple for a moment before she confessed. “If Molly and I lose, the boys are going to buy us drinks at the Three Broomsticks until we sing ‘I Got You Babe.’ If we win, the boys have to sing ‘I Feel Pretty.’ The only difference is that they have to do it in drag at your graduation party.”

Hermione and Ron laughed out loud at the idea of Ron’s brothers in drag.

“Hermione, love,” Ron said sheepishly. “Which would you prefer; seeing Mum and Tonks drunk or my brothers and Remus in high heals?”

“Hmm…” Hermione playfully pondered. “As much fun as Drunk Tonks is, I think I’d do just about anything to see the twins in matching miniskirts!”

Ron laughed again and pulled her into a tight kiss. The three plotted the demise of the Weasley brothers and Remus Lupin. After the colour of stockings and wigs was chosen, Tonks let them talk for a few more minutes before she insisted it was time to leave. She ushered Hermione out of his grasp and they headed back to Hogwarts.

Hermione hid in the hospital wing for the rest of the evening, awaiting any news of her father. She idly worked on paperwork and taking an inventory of the potions stock. The remainder of the day provided many ups and downs for Hermione, but she focused on the good. Around nine, Pig arrived with a letter from Molly. She was happy to learn that her father was moved to Headquarters shortly after she visited him and much to her relief, Ron was returning to Hogwarts that evening.

The twins helped him into the cot he would have to occupy for the night and chatted with him about the store, Verity, and the latest developments with their experiments. Once he was settled, Harry was pleased to see that Ron was already arguing with Hermione. She wouldn’t stop fussing. At length, Ron took a deep breath and let her fret. The twins laughed, pointing out that Ron and Hermione would never change. Hermione let them mock her for several minutes before she decided to put an end to their teasing comments.

“You know boys; I would watch what you say right now. I’m not about to have you berating my patient or my patience. Especially when I know that you will be donning an attractive pair of bright pink, agonizingly painful, stiletto heals.” Hermione winked at Ron, who clamped his hand over his mouth as the twins turned white.

Roni, who had been observing the group for a while, decided to step in. “What’s this I hear? My Fred is going to be wearing a pair of heals? Will he have a matching purse, Hermione?”

“If I have any say in the matter, he will also have fishnet stockings and a thick layer of makeup!” Hermione exclaimed.

“Could you do me a favour, Hermione?” Roni asked sweetly.

“Of course,” Hermione responded dutifully.

“Could you get them each a pair of those awful Muggle fake eyelashes? The really gaudy kind, so they’ll look like streetwalkers.” Roni smirked as Fred started to chuckle.

Ron couldn’t contain himself any longer and laughed out a loud, barking laugh as Roni and Hermione teased the twins.

“Why should we put on the drag?” George retaliated.

“We have no proof!” Fred finished.

But Ron got the last word as he snatched Hermione into his arms and claimed her in a crushing kiss. The twins guffawed and Harry groaned in fake disgust, while Roni just catcalled and complained that she should have taken the bet with Tonks.
Say It Ain't So by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please review
Chapter Twenty-Three
Say It Ain’t So

The last few weeks had been especially trying for Hermione. Her mother had been buried next to her grandparents on a dreary, rainy day. She had been allowed to go to the service with her father and an entourage of Order members, but Harry, Ron, and Ginny had not been permitted to go. When she returned that night, she was inconsolable. She wouldn’t eat and refused to speak with anyone, including Ron.

Harry and Ginny were beyond worried, so Ginny borrowed Harry’s Invisibility Cloak and spied on Hermione. She sat at her desk pouring over a letter, scribbling away frantically. Ginny failed to stifle a sigh as Hermione worked away. Hermione snapped to attention and drew her wand.

Ginny held her breath watching her friend carefully, hoping she would not curse her. Realizing that there was no danger, Hermione relaxed her stance and took a deep breath. She looked back at her work, but then turned back to the space Ginny occupied.

“Well, Ginny,” Hermione began, rubbing her forehead. “Tell Harry I’m fine and that I will see him at breakfast tomorrow. Tell Ron I’ll come down in an hour to kiss him goodnight, and Ginny, if you could let me be, I would really appreciate it.”

Ginny swept the cloak of her body and stared at Hermione. “We just want to be there for you. Don’t push us away,” Ginny said.

Hermione let Ginny pull her into a tight hug before she watched the red head disappear down the stairs. Hermione sighed as she pulled herself back to her desk. The letter on her desk would make no sense to anyone other than herself and one other person. She sat down, perusing the letter. She would send it in the morning if she hadn’t heard from him by then. It was her last attempt. She needed to get through this time, or else she would have to go to the Order and he had implicitly stated that that was the very last thing she should do. But she was at her wits end.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Harry was glad to have Ron back in the Tower. Though he had only been in the hospital wing for a few days, Harry had a difficult time convincing Hermione to leave the wing. He was thrilled that they had gotten together and let them be happy. He may have even been a little jealous, but only because he felt that he couldn’t openly show Ginny how he felt.

Things between Harry and Ginny were still ambiguous. They weren’t together, but they ate, studied, and laughed together. They didn’t hold hands, or kiss, or even acknowledge the ‘relationship’; rather, they just made each other happy and supported one another. Neither seemed to be in a particular rush to define their relationship, and though it was sometimes frustrating, Harry admitted he was happy.

After spending hours in the common room waiting to see Hermione, Harry retired to his room and prepared for bed. He let a particularly loud yawn escape as he drew back the hangings to his four-poster bed and yelped at the spectral image before him. The ghostly visage of Severus Snape reclined against Harry’s pillows.

“You know Potter,” Snape drawled. “I always thought these dorms were particularly comfortable, not half as nice as Slytherin, but quite relaxing.”

For a moment, Harry dwelled on the thought that Snape wasn’t sneering, but then he realized Snape was a ghost.

Harry sputtered and began to yell defiantly. “Get the hell out of my bed, Snape!” Moments later, Ron appeared after hearing Harry’s shouts.

“Oh, very well,” Snape said with his trademark sneer. “I need you and Weasley to join me. I have to speak with the Headmistress and the wolf. Have Miss Granger join us.”

With that, he drifted past the boys and floated through the wall. Dumbfounded, Ron whipped off an urgent note to Remus. He then called Mercutio. The bird was still small, but was strikingly beautiful. Harry privately wondered why the bird appeared when Ron called him, but let his surprise extinguish quickly. After ordering the phoenix to get Hermione to the headmistress’s office, Ron and Harry dashed out of their dormitory and to the office of Professor McGonagall.

They barged into the room without knocking. Both were furious and wanted answers. Why had Dumbledore’s murderer returned to Hogwarts?

Professor McGonagall barely acknowledged their entrance. Her lips were pursed tightly and her hands were clasped firmly on her desk. She did not say a word while Snape floated idly, pacing just above her desk. Harry and Ron crossed their arms over their chests and waited. A moment later, Remus fell out of the fireplace in his pyjamas. They all were silent, waiting for Snape to make the first move. He continued to pace until Hermione let herself into the office and sat down at the desk in front of McGonagall.

“Miss Granger,” Snape said without emotion.

“Professor Snape,” Hermione mimicking.

Eyes focused on Hermione. She stifled a yawn and began to explain.

“He destroyed Nagini. That was his mission. He conspired to get Ollivander and Aberforth captured so that they could help him. In the process, he was able to save Natasha. Dumbledore designed the mission prior to his death, but Snape swore he would finish it. Snape didn’t murder Dumbledore in cold blood, either. The curse on the ring had ensured Dumbledore would die a slow death and whatever poison he drank in the cave made his death painfully imminent. Ollivander and Aberforth knew about the mission and had been working on the poisons that would kill the snake. They also knew that Snape didn’t kill Dumbledore; he just ended Dumbledore’s pain. It would seem, however, that shortly after he succeeded, he was found out.”

Hermione let the information sink in. Remus stared at her and looked angry. Ron laid a hand on her shoulder and smiled weakly, while Harry gazed at the portrait of Dumbledore.

The painted Dumbledore nodded and Harry turned away. Remus cleared his throat.

“How did you know?” he demanded harshly.

“He began writing to me over the Christmas holiday. Right after Ollivander was captured, Snape sent word about the mission. He said he had specific orders from Dumbledore to tell only me the plan. I don’t know why Dumbledore trusted me with that information, but he did. Snape told me his plans and that he would kill the snake. He also said that I needed to keep it from the Order until he was successful. He seemed to think that you would try to kill him, if he tried to get your help,” she explained defensively.

“Severus,” Dumbledore’s voice called out, “They need to know why I trusted you so. They deserve to know.”

“I still don’t understand why, Albus,” Remus sighed.

“Well, let me tell you a very sad story, Lupin,” Snape drawled in an all too familiar voice. “…Several years ago, I joined Voldemort and his Death Eaters. I was angry at life. I willingly and openly hated everyone. Voldemort showed me how I could exact revenge on those that had wronged me and taught me how to be callous.

“Near eighteen years ago, I sat in the Hog’s Head one night. I had been sent to spy on Dumbledore. That night, I heard Sybil recite the prophecy to Albus. As she spoke in that dark, channelled voice, my attention was pulled by a woman of striking beauty and depth. She instantly recognized that I was paying a little too much attention to the Seer and shot me out of the bar. She was always a quick draw.

“Once outside, she berated me for being evil, dangerous, and worthless. I tried everything to hate that woman, but nothing could keep away my admiration for someone so gifted and powerful. Mesmerized, I began to watch her. I sought her out and she changed me. I was not any less hateful, but I found one person I valued.

“This woman allowed me to be my typical morose self and never let it bother her, much to my annoyance. She slowly guided me to become a man. I would have done anything for her. Finally, I begged her to marry me. It wasn’t a long engagement after she agreed, and I began to make a life for us.

The Dark Lord was pleased that I had married this woman and showed no true objections, initially. He later swore it was his idea to bind me to a woman so powerful and connected to Albus. He wanted to use her to get to Dumbledore. When he learned that she would bear my child, however, his opinions changed. He felt she was becoming a distraction and though I swore to my lord that my love was hardly a distraction, he did not yield.

“Late one evening, I was summoned to him. My beautiful wife lay asleep and I kissed her goodbye before Apparating to an empty field. Mere moments passed before I realized my folly. When I returned, she was dead. Our child died with her.”

Professor McGonagall wiped a solitary tear from her eye. “While that is touching, Severus, you have failed to prove your point.”

Snape smirked at her and paused before continuing. “My wife was Verona Dumbledore Snape. Verona was Albus’ granddaughter. He raised her when his son and daughter-in-law were murdered by the Dark Lord’s alliances. Albus trusted me with her because he knew what she made me. After her death, he trusted me because he knew the revenge I sought. I swore to him I would be pivotal in the Dark Lord’s fall.”

Everyone became weary with the weight of Snape’s position. Not only was Snape capable of love, but he had lost more profoundly than everyone else. Harry could no longer find the hate and contempt he once held for the potions’ master. He couldn’t even relate to what Snape had gone through.

Remus’s shoulders relaxed visibly. They all knew that he wanted to be angry with Snape. But they all knew Snape had sacrificed himself to complete Dumbledore’s orders, and that there was only one more Horcrux left.

“Well,” Professor McGonagall began. “I suppose this means I have to stop using his portrait for dart practice.” She turned in her seat to gaze at Dumbledore’s painting. “Why, Albus? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“Minerva,” Dumbledore’s rich voice filled the air. “Firstly, when Verona’s parents were murdered, my darling daughter Venice, I tore the babe away from England and hid her in southern France. She attended Beauxbatons and returned to England only a year after she came of age. I refused to openly acknowledge her for her safety. Secondly, I knew I would not live to see Harry confront Tom. I needed you to be here…for him, for the students. Hogwarts would not survive the loss of us both. We realized that Severus would have to continue his alliance with Voldemort, months before I even found the ring. I made him swear then, that he would continue his mission. I have never lost faith in Severus Snape, and neither should you.” The portraits around him murmured in assent and he returned to silence.

Harry and Ron were in shock, but relaxed their stances and mumbled something about going to bed. Hermione inquired after her father and smiled as Remus explained that he was already moving about Headquarters.

The students excused themselves and left Remus and Professor McGonagall to talk. Once outside the office, Ron wrapped a strong arm around Hermione. She fell in stride with him and they walked in silence before Harry stopped them.

“Hermione,” Harry asked. “Do you have any idea about what the other Horcrux might be?”

Hermione bit her lip and dropped her arm from Ron’s waist, wrapping herself with her arms. “I don’t know for sure, but I learned how a Horcrux is made. For an object to become a Horcrux, a person must attempt to kill something and fail, it is in that failure that the wizard or witch can transfer their torn soul into the object. For example, in order to make a Horcrux out of Pettigrew’s silver hand, Voldemort had to cast the Killing Curse at it. Since it was an inanimate object, it couldn’t die, so his soul filled the glove. If his body had been destroyed, he would have possessed that Horcrux. Eventually, his soul and Pettigrew’s soul would have had to battle it out within the body, the weaker spirit would be destroyed, thus restoring Voldemort to power. In the case of the snake, he cast the curse on a dead mouse, fed it to the snake, and then possessed the snake. He battled with the weaker soul of the snake, thus giving that portion of his soul power over Nagini.”

Harry listened to her digress, before he interrupted her. “So, could I be a Horcrux?” Harry wasn’t entirely sure if he wanted to know the answer.

“No Harry,” she whispered. “But your scar could be. He failed to kill you, so he had to have transferred some of his soul into you. I think your mother’s protection kept the fragment of his soul from taking you over as a child and that made your scar a Horcrux.”

“Couldn’t Harry just have the scar cut from his head?” Ron asked hopefully.

Hermione answered timidly, “No, Ron, there is a lot of magic binding a soul to the Horcrux. Only a huge burst of positive magic could negate it. I wish I knew more.”

“Does that mean,” Harry began heavily, “That I have to die in order for him to be gone forever? The prophecy said, ‘neither can live while the other survives, does that mean I can’t live even if I kill him?”

Hermione moved to hug him. “I don’t know, Harry.” Tears leapt into her eyes and when she pulled away, she saw them in his eyes too.

“I need to be alone right now.” He didn’t wait for a response, but turned away from them and walked in the opposite direction.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next morning, Ron and Hermione had no idea where Harry was. They both suspected that he was hiding in the Founders’ Suite, but knew better than to push him. They were all facing their mortality as the war loomed, but now Harry knew there was a very strong chance he would have to choose to die in order for the world to be rid of Voldemort forever.

Hermione had wisely told McGonagall about their conversation and she excused Harry from his training session, but Ron was still worried. When he went to train, he knew that he had to find a way to help Harry get through this. After an hour of trying to fend Hannah off, a stroke of genius came. He quickly scribed another urgent message to Remus and went off in search of his sister.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Meanwhile, in the hospital wing, Hermione was still trying to avoid Malfoy. Susan had graciously resumed nursing the pale Death Eater again and Hermione could not fully express her gratitude. She refused to speak to Malfoy even when he called out to her. She just couldn’t forgive him for being a Malfoy.

Malfoy was healing nicely, thanks in large part to both Healers-in-training. Susan quietly worked his limbs so he would not be in pain, while Hermione had allowed him to read. She had left him books, a newspaper, and even a couple of odd magazines she called “comic books.” Though he would never say it fully, he missed having the two witches’ kindness.

Hermione would talk to him despite their past differences, and always treated him kindly. Susan was tender and loving. He knew he missed Susan and though his heart tore when he heard that his father had killed Granger’s mother, he felt relief wash over him as he realized that Susan may talk to him again.

Susan had simply refused to speak or be around him since they fought. He knew that she had grown fond of him and hoped that she would understand that now that the Dark Lord knew he lived, he would have to return to him or face death. He wanted to make a better life for himself. He didn’t want to die or go to Azkaban because he foolishly took the Dark Mark. He wanted to ask Susan to be a part of his life, but he knew that she would not fancy a patient. Furthermore, she would not fancy a patient who was also a Death Eater.

After some coaxing from Roni, Susan had agreed to tend to Malfoy again. Finally, after careful plotting, he got the chance to say all he had been thinking. After Susan escorted him to the loo, Draco fell painfully to the ground. Certain that they realized he faked it, he watched them intently as Hermione came to help Susan pull him up and into bed. Once on his feet again, Hermione supported his weight while Susan guided him.

The three said nothing until he was back in bed. As soon as Hermione began to move away, Draco took his chance. “I’m sorry, Granger.”

Hermione turned back to him with a blank face. “What are you sorry for, exactly?”

Draco gulped before moving on. “I wish that what you were going through never happened. I just needed you to know that and thank you for helping me. Thank you for saving me that day…at Godric’s Hollow.”

She eyed him suspiciously before nodding sharply and briskly walking away from him. Susan was stunned by his admission. She gingerly wrapped a warm blanket about him and jumped slightly when he reached out to touch her hand.

“I’m sorry to you too, Susan. I wish I could change my past, but I can’t. I wish that my future would be different. I was never a good person, like you,” he whispered to her. “The fact that I can’t get to know you more or repay you for making me so happy kills me. I hate what I have become and will spend everyday I can trying to make it up to you.”

He brought her hand to his lips, kissing her fingers tenderly. He let a miniature smile escape as a tear fell from her eye, knowing it meant that she forgave him. Susan was beyond herself with glee at Draco’s confession. She finally knew that she had reached him. He wasn’t out of danger, but he was no longer a threat.

~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry watched the sun fall beneath the horizon. He hadn’t even noticed as time drifted past him. He sat against the wall and hung his head. How could he be expected to do this?

Ginny silently entered the room. He didn’t even look up when he heard the door snap shut behind her. Vaguely, he heard Rowena murmur her worries to Ginny, and Godric instructed her to help him. She sat down next to him and waited.

“Go away, Ginny,” he said with a cutting tone.

“No,” she replied simply. “Ron and Remus just brought me into the Order. You know I knew about the Horcruxes, and now I know everything that you went through in trying to find them. You’re not getting rid of me.”

He smirked at her attitude. He should have expected Ron to send in reinforcements. Harry finally raised his head to look at her. She looked like she’d had a good cry recently, but she smiled. He couldn’t help but laugh. She knew he wasn’t going to push her away again, so she cuddled into him. Knowing he needed a new train of thought, she addressed the portraits.

“Helga,” she spoke sweetly, “you never told us if we got your riddle correct.”

The portrait smiled prettily and nodded. “Would you like one more? If you get this one right you will have solved the Legend of Infinity.”

Harry chuckled as Helga bounced excitedly in her frame. Ginny looked to him for guidance and they nodded together.

“Learn how to transcend time and space,” Rowena and Helga chimed together

“Become immortal.” Godric and Salazar finished in unison.

Harry sat dumbfounded and Ginny looked distressed. Suddenly Harry stood up.

“How can a person become immortal?” Harry burst out. “Become immortal?! If only Voldemort had found this room, maybe he would have left me alone! I can’t focus on my N.E.W.T.s, I have to kill Voldemort. I can’t keep people I love alive, because Voldemort wants me to suffer. I can’t play Quidditch because Voldemort will use the teams as target practice. I can’t tell her I love her because Voldemort will use it against me!” he yelled violently as all of his frustrations came out.

“Well, Harry,” Ginny responded in a calm voice. “I love you, too. I suppose all we can do now is work through it together and know that, regardless of what will happen, we are there for each other.”

Harry let out a cynical laugh, “How can you love me when I need going to die so that Voldemort can die?”

Ginny choked a little, “I love you because you would sacrifice yourself so that the threat of Voldemort can die too.”

“I love you, too,” Harry confessed exhaustedly as he collapsed next to her once more.

Ginny claimed his hand in hers. “So tell me Harry,” she tried to change the subject, “how does one, become immortal and transcend time?”

She smiled as he laughed and kissed her on the head.

“I have no idea.” Harry laughed as she laughed with him.

They both laughed until tears streamed down their face, neither knowing why exactly. Slowly they quieted and Harry gave in to his weaknesses. He kissed her softly, gently probing her mouth and caressing her face with his hands. He didn’t know how she did it, but he felt like he could take on anything in that very moment. She pulled away from him and smiled. They were both lost in their own world and only came out of their reverie when Godric cleared his throat sharply.

Ginny shrieked gleefully and Harry started as they looked at the founders. No longer residing in their portraits, the founders stood before the young couple. They had stepped out of their paintings and the now-human forms of the famous people smiled down at them. Salazar shook Harry’s hand as Godric spun Ginny around.

Godric kissed her lightly on the cheek. “I have been waiting ages to do that,” he confessed shooting a playful look at Salazar.

“Well Godric, you lost the bet. I told you they would figure it out faster than Wesley and Claire,” Rowena pointed out.

“Must I do it in front of the children?” Godric whined.

“Yes!” his fellow founders cried definitively.

Harry and Ginny giggled as he stalked to the far end of the room. Helga borrowed Ginny’s wand to cast a charm at Godric, who sneered at her with distain. The whole room erupted into laughter. Godric wore a, what would have been, sexy black dress, covered in frilly lace, with bright red petticoats and bloomers. As the giggles subsided, he took a deep breath and proceeded to do a Cancan dance. While Helga and Rowena clapped along, Harry and Salazar fell to the floor laughing hysterically as Godric hummed the tune and flipped his skirt expertly.

When the entertainment was over, Ginny, still giggling, turned to Rowena. “Has he done that before?”

“In the past century, that would be the fourth time,” Rowena answered amusedly.

Having laughed heartily, Salazar changed Godric back into his red robes with Harry’s wand. He admired the wand momentarily before conjuring several roses. The first dozen he gave to Rowena. Next, a small yellow rose and a small white one. He gave the white one to Ginny and the yellow to Helga.

“Harry,” Salazar called. “Place your right hand in Ginny’s right hand.”

Slightly confused, the two students obeyed silently. Rowena waved Ginny’s wand over their hands and Salazar mimicked her movements precisely. They muttered words that made sense only to themselves and both smiled as a warm white light surrounded the clasped hands.

Harry waited for the light to subside before he stole a glace at his hand. A thin silver ring was twisted on his last two fingers. The ring had just a small twist in between the fingers, and though it was not uncomfortable, it was unusual to feel something residing between his fingers. Unconsciously, he turned Ginny’s hand in his and observed that she had a matching ring as well. She smiled as his eyes caught hers and they examined her ring together.

Letting their inspection take precedence, the founders waited silently as Harry and Ginny examined their rings and finally pull their hands away from one another. Ginny immediately began to thank them for the gift, but Salazar stopped her.

With only a glance to Godric, Salazar signalled to the other founders to return to their portraits. Instead of climbing back into them, as Harry suspected they might, Rowena and Salazar handed their wands to Godric and Helga who murmured quiet passwords to the frames. Each frame snapped open and revealed a shallow passage. Each founder retrieved something from their passage and brought it forth to Harry and Ginny.

“The Legend of Infinity has only been solved a few times this century. We built this quest of riddles to help teach the lessons that we all valued most. Love, friendship, trust, and faith built you into the people you have become and we have taught you the things we want every student to learn. Take these gifts to remind you that you always have friends and help make the world a better place.” Rowena announced softly.

She held out a book to Harry and Godric placed a shield in his arm. Helga gave a ribbon to Ginny. Salazar placed a set of thick dragon-hide gloves in Ginny’s hands and smiled at her.

Salazar waved his hands and a dark mahogany table appeared in the room along with six chairs. The group sat at the table and the founders waited to be asked the questions that always came when their legend was learned.

Ginny sat idly thumbing the ribbon. She didn’t know which question to ask first, but decided she’s start off with the most obvious.

“You can only speak to people who truly love each other,” she stated simplistically.

Helga smiled and answered, “We can only speak to people who are in love.”

Harry grinned at Ginny from across the table and found his voice. “You said we reminded you of Wesley and Claire, who were they?”

Godric laughed at this question. “Claire and Wesley got married immediately after they graduated. Albus told us once that they had a son named James.” He looked at Harry meaningfully and smiled as Harry’s eyes widened in shock.

“How is that possible?” Ginny interrupted. “How could Professor Dumbledore speak to you if you only speak to couples in love?”

“Albus,” Rowena offered with a knowing smile, “Albus figured out who we could speak to early in his reign as Headmaster. He had a habit of using this room as a place to voice his opinions on current events. Because of his, for lack of a better word, ramblings, we knew everything about Voldemort, James and Lily, and of course…The Boy Who Lived.”

Godric continued for her. “Wesley and Claire both loved each other very much. She realized it long before he did and when he finally realized what she meant to him, he no longer thought himself worthy of her. I believe Claire’s grandmother told her of this room and Claire offered to help Wesley with his homework in here. He was particularly horrible at Divination.”

“Must run in the family,” Harry mumbled to himself but Ginny heard and laughed.

Ginny quietly composed herself and looked down at the trinkets the founders had given them. She played with the intricate ring on her fingers and looked up at Helga.

“What are all these things?” Ginny asked reverently.

“My ribbon helps people see the most important part of a person. If you wear it, the people around you will see your inner beauty, your strength, your power. It can be quite intimidating. If you don’t want it, give it to someone in your life who needs to be seen for what they are worth.” Helga answered, placing a hand on Ginny’s.

Salazar continued. “My gloves help those with natural power. They can channel a person’s natural talents into wandless, nonverbal magic. I loved Potions and Herbology, and those gloves helped me develop some incredible remedies and poisons. Use them to make the potions you will need to defeat Voldemort.”

Harry smiled at the gloves in Ginny’s hands and Rowena spoke next. “My book will look empty until you ask it a question. It has absorbed the knowledge of generations, that my fellow founders and myself, as well as that of several headmasters. Use it to find the answers that will bring Voldemort and his Death Eaters down.”

Harry looked at the book and caught Ginny’s eye. They both smiled and whispered, “Hermione.”

Harry turned to Godric. It was strange enough to be talking with the founders, but even more to be sitting across the table from them. Godric looked at him with sad eyes and smiled weakly. He tapped the shield on Harry’s arm and whispered, “Protect yourself.”

Ginny had been watching them intently and smiled as Harry nodded at Godric’s command. Harry bit his lip to keep the emotions at bay. The founders of Hogwarts had given him gifts and advice. He knew he was as ready as he would ever be and that it was time to face Tom Marvolo Riddle.
The Last Riddle by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Please review...
My wonderful readers, I can't thank you enough for your amazing support throughout the length of this story. Unfortunately, due to Mugglenet's demands and rules for posting I have decided to stop writing here. I'm not a perfect writer, but it gets so frustrating when it takes ages to get a chapter posted. Therefore, I have decided to write solely for SIYE. If you are not familiar with that site, please contact me and I will direct you. My penname is the same there and I already have this story finished as well as the sequel well underway. I hope to hear from all of you as this story closes. Chapter 25, The Phoenixes Return will be posted as soon as this one validates
Chapter Twenty-Four
The Last Riddle

Harry paced the corridor outside the Defence Against the Dark Arts room. This was his last N.E.W.T. He knew he was prepared and simply wanted the exams to be over. Ever since Ginny and Harry solved the Legend of Infinity, they had hardly seen one another. Harry knew she was giving him space to study and prepare for the last confrontation with Voldemort, but he was looking forward to this exam ending so he could see her again.

Hermione and Susan had been at their wits end for weeks. Not only were they taking the N.E.W.T.s but also the St. Mungo’s Entrance to Exams for Healers in Training. Hermione was so stressed she yelled at Ginny and slapped Harry, twice. Ron had learned from their mistakes and simply let Hermione be until she came to him. Three times Harry found them snogging unashamedly in the Healer’s office in the hospital wing and all three times he begged Susan to Obliviate him.

Susan was doing much better than Hermione, but she was exhausted, too. One night Harry brought her a plate from the kitchens and found her fast asleep on the cot next to Malfoy. He felt so sad for her. Harry knew that she cared for Malfoy, but Draco was so cold-hearted it was hard to see how he could care about anyone. Harry had reluctantly held his tongue when he witnessed her renewed enthusiasm around the pale Death Eater, but realized that there was nothing that could alter her opinion and never-ending hope.

Once Harry was finally called into his exam, he took a deep, relaxing breath. Just as he was about to walk into the room; a sudden wave of dread washed over him. There was something about this exam that wasn’t right. He felt completely safe, but this was not a regular exam. Carefully raising his wand, he entered the room.

He was slightly taken aback when he entered a pitch-black room, the door snapping shut behind him. There wasn’t a bit of light in any direction. He heard nothing but could sense someone else was in the room with him. Very quietly, he tapped his wand to his glasses, enabling him to see through the darkness with a night-vision spell. About two feet in front of him was a trap. If Harry took a step in any direction, he would be snared into a net and likely swung from the ceiling. Needing to trigger the traps, he transfigured a piece of lint from his pocket into a large rock and tossed it into the net. The nets flew upward and Harry ran for cover behind the desk at the front of the classroom.

He blinked as the lights came on and heard people murmuring that he had evaded the trap. He recognized Kingsley’s voice, but not the other three. From under the desk, he shot the Tripping Hex at the three he didn’t know and Stunned them. Kingsley proved to be too fast for Harry and threw a shield just in the knick of time.

A battle ensued for only a few minutes before Harry got in a good shot in and disarmed Kingsley. A little surprised, Kingsley laughed and snapped his fingers. The room seemed to relax as Kingsley released the examiners.

“You see, Craven,” Kingsley said to a beautiful young woman. “Harry Potter is going to be an amazing Auror. He has more natural instinct than any trainee I’ve ever seen, and he doesn’t lose his head either!”

Miss Craven looked Harry up and down for a moment before nodding. “Mr. Potter, my name is Reggie Craven. I am a representative from the Auror Recruitment Center and we would formally like to invite you to join the Aurors.”

Harry looked disbelievingly between Miss Craven and Kingsley before he smiled and stuttered a ‘yes’ and ‘thank you.’

“Well then, Harry,” Miss Craven continued. “Since you, Mr. Weasley and Miss Abbot have been working so hard in this training program you will enter our training facilities for one year. During that time, you will train and choose which branch of the Auror Department you want to work for. Shacklebolt tells me he hopes you might enjoy training others; if that is the case, we have an extensive program that would enable you to be an Auror trainer. It isn’t the most prestigious career, but if it suits you, I hope you’ll be happy there. We’ll send an owl to you in late July with the details, as well as the contract and first stipend check.”

With that, she shook his hand and let Kingsley lead him out of the room. Still a little dazed, Harry smiled as Kingsley patted him on the back.

“You were terrific, Harry,” Kingsley said proudly.

“Thanks,” Harry muttered humbly. “I can’t believe you gave me that recommendation. I thought most Aurors had to apply. Aren’t recommendations rare?”

Kingsley laughed at him for a moment before replying. “Yes, Harry, they are but you lot are so talented. Hannah has Espionage Specialist Auror written all over her and Ron will probably be the best Team Leader since Moody. Tonks and I knew ages ago that we wanted to recommend all of you for the department, but we decided to keep the specific recommendations to ourselves. We didn’t want you to get egos or to think that we liked one of you over the rest.”

Harry smiled at this explanation and relaxed slightly. His dream of becoming an Auror was going to come true. Letting all thoughts of Voldemort and Horcruxes fall from his mind, Harry bounded back to the Gryffindor Tower. Ginny laughed as he literally skipped into the common room and up to her. Harry spun her around several times before he put her down.

“Why are you so happy?” Ginny exclaimed, slapping his hands away as he tried to tickle her.

“I skipped. It’s physically impossible to be in a bad mood when you skip,” Harry sang as he started to skip around her in a bouncy circle.

Ginny just shook her head and tried to calm him down. “Why were you skipping, Harry?”

“Because, Ginny,” he stopped to put her in a dip. “Kingsley gave me a recommendation. I have been officially asked to join the Aurors.”

She laughed and congratulated him as he pulled her into a tango. The tango soon became a cha cha and then a slow waltz. He twirled her madly, until she was dizzy. Finally, they simply rotated on the spot. Ginny rested her head against Harry’s chest as they danced to the nonexistent music. She smiled into his shirt as he placed a kiss on her head and she looked up, gazing into his bright green eyes.

Forgetting all the stress he had been under and all the elation he felt because of the recommendation, he closed his eyes and enjoyed just holding Ginny. He kissed her lightly on the cheek before letting her lips meet his. They kissed for only a moment before they heard a loud screech beside them.

Jumping slightly, they broke apart and glared at the dark brown owl. Ginny took the letter out of its grasp as Harry stared at the ugly bird. He couldn’t help but shudder at its bright red eyes. They seemed so out of place, and reminded him of Voldemort. He took some solace in the fact that the eyes were not snake-like, but didn’t like the feeling he got as the bird stared him down and took flight.

He watched the bird for a moment before he turned his attention to Ginny. Her hand was clamped over her mouth as she read through the letter. A tear escaped from her eyes as Harry took it from her and began to examine it.

Harry-
Congratulations on finishing your exams. I’m quite sure you know who this is and what I want, your death. Now while my faithful servants revel in the murder of children, I wish to parlay it until I have succeeded in killing you. Therefore, I grant you a gift. I will attack the school in two weeks, the day of your graduation at six o’clock. Be ready.

Lord Voldemort


Ginny was beginning to hyperventilate as the letter slipped from his hands. He screamed for Ron, but wasn’t sure how he managed. As the dread swept over him, Harry could only vaguely remember the elation he had felt only five minutes before.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry would have loved for those two weeks to last forever. Ginny was seething as she sat through the several Order meetings. Ron helped the professors organize the mass exodus of the students and rallied the few student volunteers. Along with most of the sixth and seventh year Gryffindors, several students from the D.A. and other Houses asked to stay behind.

Roni, Hermione, and Susan were busy stocking the hospital wing with any and all supplies they may need to treat the wounded. Fred and George worked fiercely to secure the castle from invasions. Professor McGonagall and Moody worked tirelessly to bring Healers and Aurors into the castle. Finally, in the remaining hours of the last day, Remus called together the last meeting of the Order.

“Welcome friends and family. Tomorrow we are going to face our greatest challenge yet. As you know, we have been working several years to see the end of Voldemort and tomorrow is that day. Many of you have your assignments already. As you know, the Healers will be following the lead of Miss Roni Lockhart.”

He paused when he saw Fred turn bright red and become quite angry.

“Is there something you would like to add, Fred?” Remus asked with a bare whisper of a smile on his lips.

“YES!” Fred exploded, jumping to his feet. “Her name is Mrs. Roni Weasley! Don’t ever call her Miss Lockhart again!” A heavy silent pause crept over the crowd before Fred exhaled heavily and spoke again. “Now that I have announced that we’ve eloped, will you all excuse my mother and I so she can murder me without any witnesses?”

The whole room seemed to be waiting for a huge family feud to erupt, but in true Molly Weasley fashion, she just stood, raising a rigid finger as if to yell at the twin and his wife. After a moment of thought, she winked at Fred and Roni, before turning to Remus. “Pay up,” she hissed playfully, flattening her hand to collect the coins.

Fred’s brothers all groaned and passed their mother a galleon. Harry watched, completely shocked, when Hermione grumbled about Molly’s meddling and passed a galleon towards the matriarch, while Remus dug around in his pocket for the coin and flicked it to her before returning to the meeting. Many Order members were chuckling under their breath, but sobered when Charlie glared at them.

“Well, as long as the Weasleys have no more marital announcements,” Remus began only to be interrupted again.

“Actually, I’m going to marry Hermione!” Charlie exclaimed.

Harry and Hermione laughed as they remembered the past Christmas. Ron scowled but kissed Hermione loudly on the cheek, making the rest of the group laugh.

At this point, a small man in the back of the room stood up to yell at the group. “We are facing our deaths tomorrow, people! I would like to hear our last minute instructions if you don’t mind.”

He sat down huffily as the room turned to pay attention. Remus smiled weakly at the man and began to delegate responsibilities.

“Roni will run the hospital wing. All serious cases will be brought to her immediately. She will have a staff of five Healers. All other Healers will work in the Great Hall to repair minor wounds in order to return people to battle as quickly as possible. Hermione and Susan will be using a system of Portkeys to transport people from the field to the appropriate hospitals. They will have two arrival spots on the field which are designated on the maps.”

Remus gestured to the large, lifelike maps Fred and George made for the fight. “These spots will be guarded by three Aurors each. When the girls arrive to the sites, guard them so they may reach our wounded and return them to the hospital. They can transport out from anywhere on the field, but will always return in the same spot.

“Kingsley will be in charge of arranging the Auror formations and will meet with all unassigned Aurors immediately after the meeting. Bill and I will be taking out Fenrir Greyback. Much to my frustration, Tonks and Molly will be guarding us. For the safety of everyone, we will isolate him and try to pull him away from the general fighting so he cannot hurt anyone. As tomorrow is the full moon, Bill and I have decided not to take the Wolfsbane potion. While we realize this will put us at a disadvantage because we will not be able to control ourselves, Molly and Tonks have been working on wards that will isolate the three of us. They feel we should be able to incapacitate him. If we do, Molly and Tonks will send us to the Shrieking Shack to endure the rest of our transformation.

As I will be unable to make any decisions on the field, all questions and problems should be taken to Ron. As he is my Second, I have complete faith in him and his strategies. All that remains is to have Harry choose his guard. These will be the people fighting on all sides of Harry to ensure that he has a chance to get to Voldemort. I can not choose these people for you, so it’s your choice, Harry.”

Harry knew this was coming and inwardly groaned in frustration. He still had no clue who he wanted to choose. He cleared is throat and looked into the crowd.

“Ron,” Harry smiled as Ron nodded. It would be difficult for Ron to work as the field general, but Harry knew Ron would be at his side no matter what.

“Charlie,” Harry continued, “Neville and Ginny.”

Charlie and Neville nodded sharply as Harry asked them to be his guard. Ginny, he suspected, knew she would be chosen and kept a straight face. As Harry moved to sit down, the small man from before jumped up in frustration.

“Remus,” he shrieked. “I never said a word against you bringing children into the Order. They’ve been affected too, but you can not let Potter be guarded by a child. Ron, I understand. Charlie is an adult and Mr. Longbottom would probably fair all right. But that girl! She’s a mere wisp of a girl. Why, I bet I could incapacitate her with one hand tied behind my back! We need Potter, if we let her guard him, it will be his death sentence!”

Harry looked at the man with scathing eyes. He desperately wanted to say something hateful to this man, but Molly spoke first.

“Mortimer Smythe, you old coot, if you think you are a better substitute to defend Harry, I suggest you try to take her place!” Harry couldn’t help but notice the dangerous spark in her eyes.

Ginny sat stone still in her seat while Mortimer came to the front of the room. He smiled at her placidly. “My dear, I don’t wish to embarrass you, but don’t you think that an adult wizard is a better choice to guard Harry? You could help guard the wounded or defend the entrance. You should be someplace far away from the battle.”

Mortimer smiled again and tried to place a calming hand on Ginny’s shoulder. Ginny simply shrugged away from his attentions and smiled back at him.

“I’m sorry you feel that way, Mr. Smythe,” she blew him a kiss and snapped her fingers. Thick flames engulfed his body and he shrieked, not in pain but sheer terror.

The twins were laughing madly while Bill, Percy, and Charlie worked to put out the flames. When Mortimer returned to his feet, his clothes were thin rags hanging off his body. The Order was having a difficult time maintaining their composure as Mortimer stomped out of the room. Ginny slowly rose to her feet and with a great blush addressed the crowd.

“Would anybody else like to tell me I can’t fight by Harry’s side?” Her dangerously sweet voice clearly indicated that the next person to object would suffer an even worse fate.

George was the first to start laughing again. Ron and Bill soon followed. Harry and Remus soon followed. They were both relieved that even though a huge weight rested on their shoulders, their friends could keep a positive spin on things…even in the darkest of times.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Later, Ron called friends together to spend a night together in the kitchens. Dobby and Winky worked furiously to make a treat for the young friends, and would try to help them in the following days.

Ron held Hermione in his lap, the both of them blushing vividly. Luna tried to get Neville to sit on her lap, but he couldn’t stop giggling once he sat down, so she pushed him to the floor and he sat quietly beside her. Softly, Luna would run a scarred hand through his hair.

Harry sat in a chair, joking and laughing beside his friends. He smiled as Dobby led the elves who were bringing out trays containing a small feast. Harry drooled at the treacle tarts and mince pies. Hermione looked ready to protest Dobby’s labours but Ron stifled her comments with a kiss.

Not long after they dug into the food, Ginny and Susan wandered into the kitchen. Ginny’s arms were laden with many objects that made everyone curious, except for Harry. Harry leapt to his feet to help her with the tokens from the founders. Once she found her seat, he turned his attentions to Susan.

Only then did he realize, she had been crying. “Susan, what’s wrong?” Harry asked solemnly.

“Are you worried about tomorrow?” Hermione asked immediately.

Susan hiccoughed and shook her head. “No, I’m afraid Draco Malfoy has escaped. He disappeared from his bed only an hour ago. I was with him when it happened.”

She looked positively morose and inconsolable, but Ginny pushed further. “Did he say anything?”

Susan sighed, wiping her tears. “All he said was that no matter what happened tomorrow, I was in his heart. Whatever that means…” she trailed off. “I think I should get back to the hospital wing, Fred kidnapped Roni. I think he said something about having a proper honeymoon,” she added with a weak smile.

The three couples watched her walk sadly out of the kitchen and let themselves be lost in thought. Sensing a desperate need for change of subject, Luna brought the group’s attention to the pile of objects Ginny was guarding.

“Ginny, what is all that?” Luna asked in her loopy voice.

“These are gifts a few friends gave Harry and me. We thought you could use them tomorrow.”

She tossed a book to Hermione and a ribbon to Luna, while Harry handed Neville the gloves and passed the shield onto Ron. Hermione instantly became enraptured with the book but looked slightly disappointed when she saw there was nothing in its pages.

“Ask it a question,” Ginny prompted and smiled when Hermione demanded the Polyjuice ingredients from the text. Hermione giggled gleefully as her attention was captured and she began whispering questions to the book.

Ron was fitting the shield onto his shoulder when Harry cast a strong curse at him. Ron didn’t even blink when the curse impacted the shield and bounced away. Harry then turned to Neville.

“The gloves,” Harry explained, “enhance your natural abilities. You can use them to develop your wandless magic, as well as magnify your skills in Herbology and Potions.” Neville snickered at the last bit, but smiled all the same.

No words could express his appreciation of the gift. Everyone was quite taken in by the gifts. Ginny was leaning over Hermione’s shoulder, both lost in the book. Harry and Ron tried a few more curses against the shield before they heard Neville squeak.

Luna had tied the ribbon elegantly around her neck. Ginny gasped as she looked at her. Luna was no longer wearing her school robes, but was covered in airy blue silk. Her hair was no longer in shoulder length waves, but down to her tailbone with thick ringlets at the bottom. Luna had not a trace of the scars on her skin. Her face was gentle and clean, without a blemish to mar it. No one could speak against her untamed beauty and everyone sat quite still waiting to see who would say the first thing.

In the end, Neville pulled her tightly to him. He wept into her shining hair and kissed her face tenderly. Quite confused, Luna pushed him away trying to understand what was happening.

“Your scars are gone. I hated myself for damaging your beautiful face. And now…can’t you see the difference?” Neville asked quietly, conjuring a mirror for her.

She bowed her head, shaking a negative answer. Hermione quickly asked the book how to show Luna what the group saw and with a complex spell, Luna gasped as she looked at herself personified in a ghostlike image. She cautiously touched the image of herself and then her face again, not understanding.

“The ribbon,” Harry whispered to Ginny who nodded. “The ribbon, Luna, will show you the way you should be seen. At the moment, you wished to be seen as the way you always were with us. Your good nature and kindness enhance that. If you needed to look terrifying, or dangerous, I can only imagine what you would look like,” Harry stated.

Luna blushed royally and her image changed from the mystic beauty to a much younger Luna. They all laughed and tried to change her mood to see how different she could become. After several hours, they heard the tower chime midnight and they all left to try and get some sleep.

Though a few Ravenclaws had agreed to stay, Luna begged Ginny to let her stay in Gryffindor Tower for the night. The friends tried to sleep in their respective beds, but eventually one-by-one they came to convene in the common room. Ginny and Luna fell asleep on the couch while Hermione kipped on the floor with a blanket. Ron, Neville, and Harry smiled when they entered the room with their girls and conjured three cots near the fire. Slowly, each succumbed to sleep and the day arrived.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Everyone ate nervously that morning. It was silent and the whole castle seemed jagged with fear. The hours leapt by and it was half past five before anyone realized the time.

Ginny found Harry sitting stoically staring at the foundation of the castle, just outside the main entrance. She lifted his arm and burrowed her face into his neck. Ginny smiled slightly as Harry tucked her tightly into him and someone sat heavily beside her.

Ron had Hermione in his arms again and the four of them sat quietly gazing out onto the grounds. It wasn’t long before their reverie was interrupted as Tonks called Ginny in for a moment. She left them after kissing each person’s cheek, letting the three friends battle their emotions.

Harry pulled Hermione away from Ron and wrapped a loving arm around her. Ron mimicked his gesture and despite all things, she felt safe between the two boys she had grown to love. The young men smiled as she wove her protective hands around their backs.

“Make sure he takes care of you,” Harry whispered to her, with a clear lump in his throat.

“Make sure you take care of him,” Ron whispered to her, matching Harry’s tone.

“Make sure you know I love you, both of you,” she whispered back, kissing them each gently.

She gripped Harry’s hand and rested her head on Ron’s shoulder. The three friends surrendered themselves to a few private tears. They sat quiet and unmoving as a siren sounded, signalling the arrival of the first Death Eaters. They remained ever still as the first wave of Aurors ran past them, to meet the Death Eaters at the gates. When they finally moved away from one another, they said nothing for everything had already been said.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Harry stood in the middle of the circle as his friends rotated around him. Currently, Ginny was directly behind him, Charlie was leading, and Ron was on his left. Neville was shielding him from attacks on his right and the whole group was criss-crossing the grounds at Hogwarts.

Ron had planned the course to Voldemort. They all knew he would enter through the main gate, because he was too grandiose to do anything else. By crossing the field, they could help eliminate Death Eaters, thus preventing as many attacks from behind as possible.

It was now past nine. The war had been waging for hours and they had no clue if anyone was hurt. While the battle ensued they had helped a few Aurors collect a random Death Eater or two, but they couldn’t move until Ron came back telling them that they had a clear path. When Harry saw Ron approaching, a new wave of dread washed over him. They could lose everything in a matter of moments, but as soon as they started moving, all thoughts vanished from his mind.

They drifted towards the Whomping Willow. Molly and Tonks were battling to keep their wards in place as three werewolves rumbled. Fenrir bit and tore at Remus’ body and Bill leapt to pull the feral beast off him. The moon had risen hours ago and the screams of Bill’s and Remus’ transformation would haunt Harry for years to come.

As the group came upon the fight, Molly stumbled. Ginny broke formation to jump into her mother’s place long enough to keep the beasts from escaping. No one wanted to see three werewolves loose tonight. Mayhem ensued in every direction and werewolves would only add to the chaos.

Just north of the Whomping Willow, Krum, Percy, and Penelope led a band of students to fend of the Dementors. A small army of the terrifying beings drifted from the Forest. Harry was proud that Neville had kept the D.A. going. Even while Neville and Luna struggled through the year, their dedication to the club never wavered. With the Dementors and werewolves incapacitated, the Death Eaters relied on several trolls and a few giants.

The trolls were quickly taken down, but Hagrid and Grawp fought the giants. Across the grounds, Harry could see Hagrid bleeding from his forehead. Grawp lifted the last of the giants and threw him into the lake, splashing many duels and washing the blood from his brother. With the giants and trolls gone, Harry saw the flash of Susan’s hair and a quick spell that healed Hagrid’s face.

Susan and her guard were running towards Harry to get to a pile of wounded Order members. Mortimer had a broken leg and a few others were not moving. Harry watched as Kingsley protected them fiercely despite a clearly broken nose. Not far away from the Orders’ wounded another group of people lay. Their black hooded robes were pulled over their faces. A few white masks littered the ground beside the corpses and Harry had to control his urge to retch as they passed by.

He breathed a small sigh of relief as he saw Fleur and Hannah fighting off six Death Eaters. Hannah took on four while Fleur distracted and disarmed two male Death Eaters. The fact that Fleur was part Veela was definitely working to their advantage.

The war raged on and Harry moved further away from Hogwarts and closer to Voldemort. He could feel Voldemort’s cold, glaring red eyes as he pushed forward. Harry worked up the field carefully. Battles ensued around him in every direction and they often had to take part to aid an Order member or Auror.

Twice Harry saw one of Hermione’s guard fall as she reached a new batch of wounded, and both times Ron ran to her for added protection. As they drew closer and closer, Harry began to recognize the Death Eaters. Directly ahead of him, Reggie Craven was fighting to keep Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy at bay.

Hermione returned pushing past Harry’s group to get to Reggie. It was clear she was losing and she needed help. Ron screamed to Susan to watch out for Hermione as they tried to move again. Too quickly, Reggie was brought to the ground screaming and writhing under the Cruciatus. With her Auror guard yelling at her to escape; she abandoned her fight with Narcissa. Hermione bodily threw herself against Reggie and vanished with her Portkey.

Her guard of three Aurors took up the fight but two were killed almost instantly. Susan, after hearing Ron’s screams, came towards them just as they began to torture the last Auror from Hermione’s guard. Harry watched as Narcissa cast the Cruciatus at her; the curse hitting her in the shoulder. Susan wailed in agony for only a moment before Draco Malfoy shot forward. He still had a bit of a lip and his left arm swung helplessly at his side, but it was clear Draco was defending Susan.

Malfoy stared down his father as his parents arrested their duels and shielded themselves from incarceration.

“How dare you defy us!” Lucius hissed.

“Father, she is the only thing of value I have ever known,” Draco drawled casually.

By now, many of the people around them had halted their attacks against Lucius and Narcissa. Harry’s group paused to watch the family argue while Ron ordered directions to their allies. People ran from the Malfoys and hurried into new duels with other members.

Ron and Charlie moved to flank Lucius in an attempt to attack him, but his shields were still in place. Ginny cast a protective fire around the whole group ensuring that they would not escape again while Neville waited for Narcissa to let her shields weaken. Susan was still whimpering on the ground when they began to speak again.

Narcissa raised her wand to cast another Cruciatus, but Draco blocked her view. Furious, Lucius raised his wand threateningly.

“I beg you, Draco, move away from her!” Narcissa yelped, as she saw her husband take aim.

“If you defy us again, I will have no choice!” Lucius snarled at Draco’s rebellious stance.

When Draco didn’t budge, Lucius waved his wand again. “AVADA KEDVARA!”

A green jet hit Draco squarely in the chest; a green mist circled away from his body and encompassed his father. Lucius grasped at his chest. He slid to his knees and choked out a few breaths before falling to the ground.

Narcissa shrieked as she saw the two lifeless bodies of Draco and Lucius. She pulled Draco’s protecting arms away from Susan and clutched her face. Susan tried to pull away from Narcissa but Narcissa locked her hands around the girls’ chin.

“I will see the face of the woman my son would die for,” Narcissa bawled.

Ginny stepped forward and pulled Narcissa away from Susan by her silvery hair. Narcissa continued to roar over her husband for a moment before she curled up into a ball and whimpered against her hands. Ginny helped Susan up before looking down at Draco. The girls stared at him, gazing at his lifeless body. Susan began to weep large tears, but Ginny couldn’t look away. She watched his mouth intently, as if waiting for something, and then it came. The grass, just under his mouth, danced under his light breath. Ginny gasped and clutched Susan’s hand and pointed to him.

Quickly trying to recover herself, Susan checked his pulse and gave a small cry of triumph before activating her Portkey, fading away with the wounded Auror and Draco.

Ginny brought down the protective flames around the five people left in the circle. As they looked around the field, they saw many more bodies than before the Malfoy battle. Harry heard Ron sigh audibly when Hermione was seen dashing through the crowds again. Harry looked back to see if he could find Molly or Tonks, but they and the werewolves were gone.

He turned again to face Voldemort, who was sneering a sinister smile. It felt like only moments had passed, but time had sped by, and now Harry was facing Voldemort. Harry stared into Voldemort’s blood red eyes and felt his friends flank him, ready for battle. He could sense the duels on the field were ending. The Order was winning, but none of it would matter if Voldemort didn’t die.

Out of the corner of his eye, Harry spied Hermione and Roni hurrying to stand beside him. Tonks came from behind a tree and the twins appeared just after her. It was time for the prophecy to be fulfilled.

The Phoenixes Return by peskypetunia
Author's Notes:
Wow so this is really it folks. I can't believe this is finally the end. I love each and everyone of my readers and reviewers here. I hope that many of you will continue to enjoy my tales on SIYE as well as the wonderful authors here at mugglenet. Please keep in contact, I will be enjoying the wonderful stories here from time to time as well. Please Review!
Chapter Twenty Five
The Phoenixes Return

Harry barely inverted his body, bowing and sneering as Voldemort did the same. He knew everyone behind him was waiting for the fight; each person holding their breath. Voldemort cast the Killing Curse at the same moment Harry cast his own jinx. Their wands connected and Harry tore the connection away. They circled each other, each waiting for the next to make a move.

“Do you honestly think you can win, Harry?” Voldemort hissed in his snakelike voice.

Harry said nothing and smiled defiantly at him. They cast hexes and curses alike each time connecting and ripping away. Once or twice the onlookers heard the phoenix’s song, each gasping at the strength and joy they felt.

Voldemort broke the connection and howled in frustration. Utilizing his distraction Ginny rushed forward clasping Harry’s hand and lighting a ring of fire around Voldemort. Harry breathed deeply, grateful for the brief break.

“I can only hold him for a few seconds at a time,” Ginny whispered, the flames vanishing.

Harry nodded as she stepped back and Voldemort threw a few more hexes at Harry. Harry stumbled over a branch as he side-stepped another lethal curse, and was hit by the Imperious.

“Look at the girl.”
Harry heard.

He stood with eyes glazing, turning his back to Voldemort and gazed at Ginny.

“Tell her she’s worthless. I will kill her just because she meant something to you. Tell her how worthless she is,” the snakelike voice hissed again.


Harry looked at Ginny’s loving, beautiful face, in that instant he knew no bounds between their love. He smiled as she winked at him and stepped forward. Harry said nothing and fought the curse off. He took Ginny’s right hand in his, transferring their wands to their left hands and stood together.

Incarcerous!” Harry yelled.

Inflamare!” Ginny bellowed in the same moment.

Flames again erupted around Voldemort and everyone heard him yell out again in frustration. Ginny turned to Harry and began to whisper quickly.

Vedere attraverso i mie occhi!” Ginny muttered.

Instantly, Harry could see through the flames and watched as Voldemort was struggling out of the ropes binding him.

Reducto!” Harry shouted, just as Voldemort came out of the dissipating flames.

An unhuman sound tore from Voldemort’s body as it fell to the ground, lifeless and soulless. Harry cautiously stepped up to it and kicked the body, waiting for a reaction from the shell that housed his enemy. When nothing happened, he splintered Voldemort’s wand under his foot and turned back to his family.

Harry could hear nothing despite the sight of his friends cheering and congratulating him. He felt his body get heavier and sank to his knees. Vaguely, he recognized Ron, who lifted him to his feet again and together they stumbled into the centre of the crowd. People were patting him on the back and shaking his hand. He felt like he would vomit at any moment and screamed.

Again he fell to the ground, writhing in agony as his scar erupted in a new pain. Once more he felt himself being lifted and steadied, but now he heard a voice. A voice called out from the crowd and he focused.

“Ron!” Ginny screeched, as the crowd turned from Harry to stare at her.

“Ginny, can’t you see something’s wrong with Harry!?” Ron shot back vehemently at her distraction.

“Do you trust me?” Ginny bellowed again, running forward and snatching his hand away from Harry.

“What’s going on, Ginny?” Ron asked, turning to look at his best friend.

“That’s not just Harry,” she whispered.

And it was true; Harry’s famous eyes were no longer their vivid emerald green. His left eye dazzled as it always had, but his right eye turn from a sickly brown to a glowing red. Voldemort’s fragmented soul had taken up residence in Harry’s body.

She watched Harry’s face as the souls battled. “Step away!” she ordered to the crowd, who moved only inches away from them.

Pulling a knife from her pocket, she sliced a thin cut down Harry’s right palm and mimicked the action on her own right hand.

Sangue del mio sangue, io lego le nostre anime.” Ginny chanted.

A blistering white light emanated from their clasped hands. Harry and Voldemort cried out in torturous pain. Ginny smirked as Harry and Voldemort began to pant.

“What have you done!” Harry’s voice hissed.

“I have bound my soul to Harry’s, Tom,” Ginny answered simply.

“Ginny,” she knew it was Harry this time, “why?”

She smiled at him, letting their rings dig into their skin, tightening her grip on him. “By binding my soul with yours, Tom has to overcome your soul and mine to win. Focus on me Harry. Look to your beings of strength. They will push him deep into the Horcrux and trap him.”

Harry knew she was right. He felt like he had tunnel vision. Voldemort watched the real Ginny as she connected their bloody hands, making sure that their rings stayed in contact. Harry let his mind go blank. He saw Ginny in his mind. She was smiling at him. He saw his mother emerge from the darkness and heard Voldemort howl distantly. Sirius and James came forward wrestling like children. Molly came into his vision next, holding Arthur’s hand. Ron and Hermione danced before his mind’s eye and he felt Voldemort recede.

In that instant, Ginny flipped the knife still in her left hand. She cut into the thin flesh on Harry’s forehead. A thin half-moon shaped piece of flesh tore away from his skin and he wailed in pain. He saw nothing but blood and felt Ginny cover the scarred skin with their clasped hands. The pain faded and everything went white.


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

He heard voices. Harry waved a hand in front of his face trying to see through the blinding light. The voices spoke only for a second and left him puzzled.

I saw Verona in the Mirror of Erised, but I like socks too,” A sage voice called out to him.

“Tell Mr. Crabass I will come to him the next time a full moon rises on All Hallow’s Eve. I will bring him home,” a woman’s kind voice whispered.

My sweet son, I love you,” Harry choked as he heard his mother.

You know I love you, and I love her too,” Harry laughed and felt his father smile.

Take care of her for me, and tell her mother I’m glad she owes me a galleon,” Harry gasped at Arthur’s voice.

Redhead, it had to be a redhead,” Sirius growled playfully.

Tell her I’m so proud and to take care of her father, she knows where the Schnapps is,” Harry nodded, knowing he had been given a gift and felt himself pulling away.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Someone was wiping a wet cloth on his cheeks. He felt safe, but tired and desperately tried to fall back asleep. He grumbled as the cold fabric touched his face again and blinked into Roni’s smiling face.

“Welcome back, hero,” she whispered and moved out of the way.

Harry choked back an overwhelming emotion as Aunt Petunia took his place and held his hand firmly in hers. She leaned forward and kissed him gently on the cheek as he grew more conscious of his surroundings.

“What’s happened?” He croaked.

“You have been out of it for nearly a day. It’s almost midnight,” Petunia whispered to him.

Harry struggled to remember why he was knocked out, finally sitting up sharply as he realized that Voldemort had fallen.

“Where is everyone? Who was hurt? Where is Ginny?!” Harry demanded harshly.

Hagar and Dudley came around the curtain to sit with him and helped Petunia fill in the details.

“Last night,” Aunt Petunia began, “you faced Him. Remus and Bill Weasley killed the other werewolf, but only after Bill was bitten again. Bill attacked Remus and nearly killed him. Somehow, Molly and Tonks got them away from the battle and returned to you safely.”

Hagar took a deep breath as she jumped into the conversation. “Moody and Kingsley died. Kingsley fought most of the battle, but didn’t make it. Remus returned early this morning and is barely alive. Susan has been up all night trying to stabilize Draco’s condition. The Healers suspect that on some level, Lucius Malfoy must have loved his son. That is the only explanation as to why his Killing Curse failed to murder Draco and rebounded on him. Susan is distraught.”

Dudley cleared his throat to tell him the rest and Harry couldn’t help but feel that they had decided who would tell what before he awoke. “Most everyone else who is hurt or dying was hurt from the explosion that destroyed the scar. I don’t really understand it, but Roni said that when Ginny cut the scar away from your head, it destroyed apart of Him. That caused a magical pulse that threw everyone around you into the air.”

Harry took a breath to try to make sense of this information. He knew there were people still hurt and dying. Bill had been mauled again by Greyback, but how was Fleur? Remus was dying, but how was Tonks? Questions leapt through his mind.

“Roni,” Harry coughed as he tried to pull himself out of his cot, “I need to see them.”

Roni just nodded and helped him walk gingerly to visit his friends. They twisted down the path so Harry could go to each cot. Tonks was heaving heavy sobs on Remus’ shoulder. He looked pale and weak. Harry felt certain if he touch Remus’ hand it would be cold.

Molly sat next to Mr. Granger on an empty cot. They stared sombrely and watched Ron push Hermione’s curls away from her face. Harry nearly collapsed at the sight of Hermione near death in that bed. Ron looked up at him as Roni and Dudley pulled him to his feet again.

“She loves us both, remember,” Ron chuckled grimly, pulling her hand to his lips.

Just beyond them Susan leaned on Draco, snoozing lightly on his good arm. She stood up to help Roni with Harry but he shook his head. Susan leaned up to kiss him lightly on the cheek, “See I told you he wasn’t such a bad guy.”

Harry smiled at her as she returned to her perch beside Draco, actually hoping the blond would survive, if only for Susan’s sake. As Roni led him further down the path, he gasped as he saw Fred lay dying under the critical watch of George and Verity. Harry turned to Roni and begged her to go to him, but she shook her head defiantly.

“He knows I need to be with you right now,” Roni smiled and pulled him further down the walk.

Luna leaned over Neville. The ribbon was still tied around her petite neck. She looked like a goddess hovering over a wounded bird. An odd smile shaped her mouth and she whispered soft things to Neville. She let Harry pass by without so much as a glance at him.

Harry tore his eyes away from Luna and let his eyes fall to the ground. He had seen Charlie sitting rigidly at the foot of a bed not far away from Neville. Ginny was curled up like a child. She looked like she was asleep; ready to wake at any moment, but Harry knew that wasn’t the case.

“Charlie,” Harry whispered as Roni deposited him in the bed beside Ginny. “What happened?”

Charlie grunted, clearing his throat. “When she tore your scar away, all we saw was white light. We went flying. Hermione flew into the Whomping Willow. Fred and Neville snapped several vertebrae in their spines when they landed. It took us too long to recover ourselves and get to them. I had a broken leg and couldn’t walk. Ron crawled to Hermione and nearly lost his eye. Once we got back, the damage had been done. Roni and Susan fixed up the majority of us, but now all we can do is wait…” he finished trailing off.

“What about,” Harry gulped, “Ginny?”

“She drained her magical stores so severely that she may never wake up. Her colour is better, but with Mum sitting with Mr. Granger, I didn’t want her to think we abandoned her,” Charlie explained.

Harry turned to Ginny and kissed her forehead. He waited for a moment, silently praying for some reaction, and getting none. He propped his head up in his left hand and ran his fingers down her arm. He smiled as he felt her fingers open and close around his, clicking their rings together.

Her eyes began to flutter and Harry whispered excitedly, “Ginny, love, wake up!”

Ginny’s eyes shot open as she heard the distant cry of a phoenix. Harry smiled as he realized the flock was returning. She clutched Harry’s hand as Voerlute flew to her and nuzzled into their joined hands. Ginny whispered something to the bird and Harry gasped as it took flight again, singing beautifully.

Gasps and shrieks filled the room as birds appeared in bursts of fire. Voerlute perched herself on Molly’s arm, singing as her siblings picked out their owners. Mercutio swept past Mr. Granger and landed gently on Hermione’s stomach. Fawkes flew directly to Susan and stared at Draco critically. Sol landed at the end of Remus’ bed. The bird tried to inch up to his face, but Tonks was still clutching him.

Pharaoh flew gracefully to Luna and cuddled into her neck, while Jove perched himself on George’s knee and stared at Fred. As if waiting for some instruction, Ginny called out to them.

“Well, go on,” she smiled as they chirped in understanding.

The birds leaned over Harry’s friends each crying soft tears onto hands and faces. Draco was the first to respond. He started coughing madly, hacking and wheezing; Susan pulled him into a sitting position. She smiled wearily when his eyes blinked open and he caressed her face with his right hand.

Fred was next. The bird only shed a few tears before Fred choked in a deep breath. George instantly began to do a jig with Verity and Roni let herself be pulled into bed. Harry heard her laugh as George and Verity conjured a screen so she and Fred could have some, “private time.”

Charlie helped Ginny and Harry move back down the path so they could examine their friends. Neville was apparently awake because he was kissing Luna with heated fervour. Harry laughed when they rolled off the bed and didn’t even notice. Ginny giggled quietly beside him and held his hand tightly as they moved to watch Remus.

Sol was idly preening his feathers, perched on Remus’ knee. Tonks had once again thrown herself bodily across him. While she continued to sob heavily, Remus raised a weak hand to pat her gently on the back. Harry smiled when Remus weakly waved at him. Ginny tried to control herself, but fell into Charlie, laughing madly when Remus pinched Tonks’ bum. Tonks squealed in protest but Charlie conjured a private screen for them when he heard her protests muffle.

They finally moved to Hermione. Her eyes were still closed but she looked infinitely better. Harry sat next to Ron and Ginny moved to sit across from them. With Hermione sandwiched between the three, they sat waiting to see her come back.

“It didn’t work,” Ron mumbled darkly, earning him a snap from Mercutio.

The bird ruffled his feathers indignantly and called out to Hermione. While the bird sang, the friends watched Hermione’s face. Slowly a small smile crept onto her face. She took a few deep breaths and opened her eyes. She suddenly became aware that Ron was hugging her. Her father and Molly were yelling out and jumping up and down. Harry pushed Ron away to get in a kiss and a quick hug before Ron wormed his way back into her arms.

Molly smiled as she saw the couples and friends laugh and celebrate together. She quietly gathered her things and moved from the hospital wing. She had to report to Minerva. She had to find Fleur and Bill. When she thought of all the things that would happen in the next few months she suddenly felt exhausted. They would have to tally the dead. They would send the few remaining Death Eaters to Azkaban. She worried what would happen to young Malfoy. He saved Susan in the battle, but he was still a Death Eater. So much was left to do. Harry and Ron would be going into Auror training and Ginny had another year left at Hogwarts. Yes, it seemed like there was a whole lot more living they had left to do, but at least they could now live without fear.

The End

**Thank you so much for reading**
peskypetunia
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=29538