Elevator of Hopes and Fears by Byn
Summary: Shortly before his 17th birthday, Harry returns to Grimmauld place where he stumbles upon a secret room with the help of someone special. H/G with background R/Hr.Post-last battle, pre-HBP (confusing, eh?). Chapter 6 in queue!
Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 6 Completed: No Word count: 21344 Read: 16199 Published: 08/07/05 Updated: 02/20/06

1. Somewhere Only We Know by Byn

2. This Is The Last Time by Byn

3. Bend and Break by Byn

4. We Might As Well Be Strangers by Byn

5. Everybody's Changing by Byn

6. Your Eyes Open by Byn

Somewhere Only We Know by Byn
A/N:All chapter titles are from two of my fave CDs, "Elevator" by Hot Hot Heat, and "Hopes and Fears" by Keane. Not all titles are used in context with the songs. Disclaimer: All characters, etc. belong whole heartedly to JKR

Chapter 1- Somewhere Only We Know


Harry sat up in bed, not exactly sure what he had just witnessed in his dream. All he could remember was long, silky red hair, sparkling brown eyes, and a warm smile, all focusing on him.

He looked around, trying to determine the cause of the sound that woke him- Hedwig was sitting on his desk, waiting for him to untie a small parcel attached to her leg.

"Thanks," he said, stroking her feathers. The parcel was from Ginny. Harry was sure no other letter had made him so happy.

Dear Harry,

I'm so glad you decided to go back to Grimmauld Place. Even if it depresses you, just think of how miserable you'd be with your aunt and uncle, and I guarantee you'll feel 100% better.

Fred and George improved their Extendable Ears, so when Dumbledore was here, we heard everything. He told Mum that you had decided to move back to Sirius' house, and that Kreacher had "snuffed it." Those were his exact words, I swear. Anyway, he also said that your only company was Dobby and Buckbeak. I'm trying to think of a way to convince Mum to come visit you without letting on that I was eavesdropping.

Well, enjoy your birthday and new found "freedom" (Dumbledore said that members of the Order were still watching the house).

Happy Birthday, Harry.

Love,

Ginny

PS- I know it's early, but you'll get the rest next time I see you!


The rest? Harry opened the small parcel. It was a little box, obviously valuable, probably an antique someone had mistook for a piece of rubbish. Inside were two photographs, both of Ginny. One was moving. She was goofing around with Hermione on the Quidditch pitch at Hogwarts, after Gryffindor won the house cup. The other was a muggle photograph. She was sitting against a tree at the Burrow, reading a book Harry had recommended about Quidditch.

This is the best birthday present I've ever gotten, Harry thought, propping up the photographs on his bedside table. He climbed back into bed and was about to go back to sleep when Pig swooped in and hovered over his head. He grabbed the tiny owl and untied the letter from Ron.

Harry,

Good news! Mum said we could come visit you, but she wanted to make sure it was alright with you first. So, how about it, mate? Want some company?

Ron.


Harry picked up his quill and wrote a response at the bottom of the note.

Come any time you like, just give me a five minute warning. It's starting to get boring here, with just Buckbeak and Dobby's getting to be a pain.

Harry.



If Ron was coming, that meant Ginny. Which also meant, Mr and Mrs Weasley, Fred and George, Bill, Charlie, and most likely Hermione. Suddenly, company seemed more like trouble.

Instead of worrying about it, he decided it would be best to go back to sleep. He focused on the photos of Ginny staring him in the face. He couldn't decide which he liked more, the one of Ginny in her Quidditch robes, dancing around after their spectacular victory, showing off her sporty side, or where she was sitting peacefully, wearing a flowery sundress and reading, showing off her feminine side. After minutes of thinking, Harry decided they were both equally appealing.


**
Harry was sitting in the kitchen, eating breakfast when a puff of red smoke appeared, leaving a slip of parchment on the table.

Five minute warning

It was more like a thirty second warning, as the all the Weasleys, except for Mr Weasley appeared seconds later. Ron and Ginny used Floo powder, while the others Apparated. Harry stood and greeted all of them, saving Ginny for last.

"Hi."

"Did you like your present?" She asked.

"I loved it, thank you." He gave her a quick hug, before stepping back. Her hair had grown out quite a bit since he saw her last, and her eyes were sparkling much like they did in the Quidditch photo.

"The house looks wonderful, dear," Mrs Weasley said. "It must have taken you weeks to clean all this up."

"I wish. I tried to do it myself, but Dobby wouldn't let me. He had already redecorated half the house before he let me explain I like doing housework. It's good for relieving stress."

Everyone took a seat at the table while Harry finished eating. Dobby appeared and handed out Butter beer.

A large Brown Owl swooped in from a window that refused to shut. It dropped a copy of The Daily Prophet on the table and waited for Harry to pay him.

"Thanks." There was no important news, there hadn't been for a while. The biggest news was that the Chudley Cannons had moved up in ranking after their miraculous win last week against Puddlemere United. Poor Oliver, Harry thought.

"So, Harry, have you heard about Ron and Hermione?" Ginny said, mutinously.

"What about them?" Ron, who was on the other side of Harry, turned a brilliant shade of red.

"They're together." At that, Ron buried his head in his arms, not wanting his family to see his embarrassment.

"Finally," Harry said, swallowing his last bit of toast. "When'd he finally ask her out?"

"He didn't. She asked him," Ginny giggled. Harry was trying hard not to laugh. It was so like Hermione to be straight forward, and Ron would never have been courageous enough to ask. He was happy that, no matter how it happened, his two best friends had gotten together.

"Really? You know, I'm not surprised." He and Ginny continued to laugh. Ron raised his head, still beet red.

"It's not funny."

"Oh, but it is," Ginny was almost as red as Ron from laughing. Everyone was staring at them, wondering what could be so funny. They stopped laughing.

The kitchen door opened and in walked Tonks, pink hair in all it's glory. "Morning," she yawned.

"Morning." Harry passed her the paper and Dobby gave her a plate of food. The Weasleys all looked at Harry for an explanation.

"Tonks is always here for breakfast since she's working nights. She's the only member of the Order who's accepted my invitations to breakfast and supper since I moved in." It was true. After a week or so, Harry had been bored with eating by himself and he knew there were members of the Order who worked ungodly hours at the Ministry, so he invited them to breakfast, lunch or dinner, depending on their hours. No matter when Tonks was working, she was always their for breakfast.

"I'm glad you finally got rid of that umbrella stand, Harry," Tonks said. "It was always in the way."

"It was ugly, too," Ginny said.

Bill stood up. "Well, I'd best be off. Gotta get to work," he said. "It was good seeing you again, Harry."

"You too." With that, Bill Disapparated.

"I should probably go, too," Charlie said, draining his Butter beer. "See ya, Harry." He Disapparated, too.

"Shouldn't you two be getting to your joke shop?" Mrs Weasley asked the twins.

"Percy's there, Mum. He can take care of it for a little while longer," George said.

"Yeah. He's really loosened up over the past year, he almost has a sense of humour," Fred said.

"Almost?" Harry asked.

"Let's just say he hasn't had any tea for five months." The twins decided to leave by Floo powder, and give Percy a scare.

Mrs Weasley instinctively started to clear the table.

"Mrs Weasley, you don't have to do that. Dobby-"

"Harry, it's alright. I agree with you about housework relieving stress, and with the trouble those two have given me in the past 19 years, all of England would be spotless if only I had the time."

19. Fred and George were 19. That meant Harry would be turning 17 next week. It shocked him to realize he hadn't realized he was turning 17.

"Harry? Harry, are you okay?" Ginny asked. Harry realized his facial expressions had gone from a goofy grin, to a worried stare. His thoughts shifted rapidly between the joy of being of age and Splinching, which he knew would happen without a doubt if he ever Apparated.

"Yeah, I'm fine."

"How's Buckbeak?" Ron asked.

"Great. He enjoys eating Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans."

"You're not feeding him sweets, Harry!" Ginny squealed.

"Of course not. I was eating them while I was playing with him, and he stole the box from me. Ate them, cardboard and all."

"What do you want to do?" Ron asked.

"I actually have a lot to do. I have to clean out one of the bedrooms and the attic."

"Ron and I will help," Ginny offered.

"Thanks, but you're guests. I shouldn't be putting you to work."

"Are you kidding? We cleaned this house top to bottom Summer before fifth year," Ron said. "We know almost everything there is in that attic."

"Mainly because we put it there," Ginny added.

"You don't mind helping?"

"Not at all."

"Thanks." He turned to Mrs Weasley. "Why don't you just relax today, Mrs Weasley? There are about a million books in the library upstairs. There's bound to be something you'll like."

"Thank you, Harry, dear, but I have some shopping to do in Diagon Alley." She Disapparated.


**
They started with the bedroom, since they would have to take most of the boxes up to the attic. The very first object of interest found was a bottle of fire whiskey.

"This is older than Mum," Ron said, staring at the bottle. "Mind if I…" He looked at Harry.

"You're an adult. You don't need to ask my permission," Harry said. He knew Ron enjoyed fire whiskey, and had learned when enough was enough, especially since Seamus and Dean had gotten him hopelessly drunk on his birthday.

"Don't you dare, Ron. Mum will have a fit, not to mention it's only 10:30 in the morning and this bottle is probably very valuable."

"You're right, Gin. This stuff's over eighty years old, it's worth galleons."

"Well, just in case you're tempted, I'm putting it in the wine cellar." Ginny took the bottle and left.

"That wasn't fair. Harry, you can't just let her take your fire whiskey like that."

"Why can't I? She only has your best interest at heart, plus I hate fire whiskey. She can do whatever she likes with it."

"Party pooper."

"Tell you what, you can have it. But, you can't let your mum see you drunk or drinking. She'll ask you where you got it and then she'll come after me."

"Not a problem."

There was a squeal from downstairs. The boys rushed to Ginny's aid, only to find there was no trouble, just another visitor.

"Hermione!" Harry jumped the last couple stairs and ran to hug his friend.

"Harry, it's so good to see you."

"Ron! Stop it!" Ginny yelled. Ron was trying to sneak the bottle out of her hand. "I'll tell Mum." Ron stopped immediately.

"Have I missed something?" Hermione asked Harry.

"We were cleaning out one of the bedrooms and Ron found a bottle of old fire whiskey. Ginny was going to put it in the wine cellar, but she obviously hasn't gotten there yet."

"Smart move." Hermione knew what Ron was like when he was drunk. "Need an extra hand with your cleaning?" She followed them up to the bedroom.

"'Mione, wanna help me with the attic?" Ron asked.

"Sure." Hermione hopped off the bed where she had been folding some beautiful old robes. Harry made a mental note to give them to her for her birthday.

"Ah, young love," Harry joked. By now, more than half the boxes had been organized and stacked in the hall, ready to be moved.

Ginny was sitting on the floor at the far end of the room, examining books and boxes. She leaned back and squealed in surprise. A small section of the wall had slid back to reveal a passageway.

"That's new." Harry put the music box he was looking at in a box and went to help Ginny up.

"What's back there?"

"I dunno, that's never happened before." He crawled through the passage into a huge, dusty room. Ginny appeared behind him.

"Wow." The floor was a plush gold carpet and the walls were a deep red. The furniture throughout the room was mainly red and gold, with lions everywhere.

"So, whoever's room that was," Harry said, pointing to the wall behind him, "was in Gryffindor."

"Maybe it was Sirius'."

"Maybe," He agreed. Now that he thought of it, most of the stuff did seem like stuff Sirius would like, and for some reason, keeping a dusty bottle of fire whiskey in a cardboard box seemed like something he would do.

"This is amazing, Harry. You have a secret room. You can hide here when you get tired of us Weasleys."

"I'll keep that in mind," he said, putting his arm around her. "Don't tell anyone, okay? It wouldn't be much of a hiding place if everyone knew about it."

"I won't. I promise." Ginny looked at Harry. She just noticed he had his arm around her waist. 'I wonder if he knows his arm is there,' she thought. But she didn't mention it, she was afraid he would move it.

There was a shuffle of feet in the hall. Harry and Ginny scrambled through the passageway back into the bedroom. The wall slid back into place when Harry absently kicked the baseboard.

"You two have gotten a lot of work done," Hermione said. There were only a couple boxes left, and they were almost packed.

"How's the attic coming along?" Harry asked.

"Good. All the boxes are in piles according to what floor of the house and what room they're from."

"There's a crate of wine up there, Harry," Ron said. "It's good stuff, too."

"How do you know so much about alcohol? Hermione asked.

"Bill. Fleur taught him about what makes a good wine. Passing on that information to me was my birthday present from him."

"Speaking of presents," Harry handed Ron a chess set. "Thought you might like it."

"Thanks, mate."

"And Hermione," He handed her the box of robes she was admiring.

"Thank you, Harry."

Ron's stomach growled. "Guess it's lunch time."


**
After lunch, and all the boxes had been put in the attic, Ron and Hermione went outside where Hermione was reading Hogwarts: A History once again, and Ron was laying beside her, talking about something funny.

Harry and Ginny went back to the secret room to look around, try and find out whose room it was.

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"How come you gave Ron and Hermione gifts and not me?" Harry was surprised at how straightforward the question was.

"Well, this is your gift. Our Secret Room. Somewhere only we know," he said.

"Our Secret Room?" She repeated.

"Yeah. You found it. It's only fair you get to share it with me."

"I guess."

"Hey, look at this!" Harry showed her a necklace that he had found in a desk drawer. It was a gold chain, with a gold lion pendant that had rubies for eyes.

"That's really pretty."

"It's yours."

"Really?" Harry nodded. "Oh, Harry, thank you." She put the necklace on.

"There, now you've got two gifts." More than anything, Harry wanted to kiss Ginny. Right when he had gathered enough courage to do so, the front door slammed shut. Mrs Weasley was back. "Perfect timing," he said sarcastically, heading for the passageway.

Downstairs, Mrs Weasley was fumbling with packages from Diagon Alley.

"I'll take those, Mrs Weasley," Harry said, taking the two largest packages and setting them by the door.

"Thank you, Harry." Mrs Weasley looked at Ginny, who was playing with the lion head around her neck. "Where'd you get that, Ginny, dear?"

"Harry gave it to me. We found it while we were cleaning."

Mrs Weasley gave them a suspicious look before taking the rest of her packages, which Harry suspected to be food, down to the kitchen.

"What was that for?"

"She thinks you're spoiling me," Ginny said, "but I don't mind."

"I'm not spoiling you. You deserve that necklace."

"I do?"

"It's my way of saying thank you for being such a good friend, and keeping a secret." Harry moved closer to Ginny, so close, in fact, that he had to literally look down his nose to meet her eyes. And, for the first time, he acted on his imagination by kissing her.


**
Ron rolled over onto his back, still watching Hermione read. Crookshanks, who was playing with a dead caterpillar, jumped onto his stomach.

"Crookshanks likes me now?"

"I guess so." Hermione reached over and scratched behind Crookshanks' ear. There was a rumble of thunder overhead. "We should go in." Ron agreed, picked up the purring cat, and followed Hermione into the house.

"Bloody Hell." He froze. Hermione followed his gaze to Harry and Ginny.

"Oh my," She whispered. "You didn't tell me they were dating."

"Well, they didn't tell me." Ron cleared his throat. Harry and Ginny broke apart.

"Ron!" Harry swiftly removed his hand from Ginny's waist. He just realized he had been kissing his best friend's little sister. Ron was turning red.

"Ron, don't you dare!" Ginny warned. She knew what was coming. It didn't work. Ron punched Harry square in the nose. Harry lost his balance and fell to the floor. The resultant crash had Mrs Weasley in the doorway of the kitchen in seconds.

"What happened?"

"Ron punched Harry!" Ginny said, kneeling beside Harry.

"Harry was kissing Ginny!" Ron said, trying to rationalize his actions.

"And I'm not sorry I did." Harry sounded as though he had a really bad cold. His nose was swollen and threatening to start bleeding.

Ron looked ready to punch him again, but with his mother right there, he though better of it. Instead, he stormed up the stairs to his room and slammed the door.

By the looks of it, Mrs Weasley couldn't decide whether to help Harry, or hit him herself. She went down to the kitchen to get some ice.

"I can't believe he did that!" Ginny said.

"I can. You're his little sister. If I saw you kissing anyone, I would punch them."

"That's because you'd be jealous, Harry, not trying to protect me," Ginny said, staring at Harry's nose.

"Maybe I should go talk to Ron," Hermione said. She ran up the stairs to Ron's room.

"Harry, do you still think of me as Ron's little sister?"

"No… well, when he walks in on us, yeah, but only for a second."

"You do know he's going to try and kill you, right?"

"Oh yeah."

"Good. Just wanted to make sure you knew what you were getting yourself into." She kissed him on the cheek and stood up. "I'll be right back."

Within seconds the house was filled with Ginny's shrill voice. "RONALD WEASLEY! HOW DARE YOU! YOU HAD NO RIGHT TO HIT HIM! WHAT WOULD MAKE YOU DO SUCH A THING?… THAT'S NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON!"

"Harry, what are you still doing on the floor?" Mrs Weasley was back with a cloth full of ice.

"Huh? Oh." Harry stood up. "Thanks, Mrs Weasley. You know I would never hurt Ginny," he said, thinking that she deserved an explanation.

"It's not Ginny I'm worried about. If you upset her in any way, there are seven men ready to kill you." She walked away. Harry thought for a second, seven? There was Ron, Fred, George, Percy, Bill, Charlie. That was six. Would Mr Weasley really beat me up? He thought.

He saw Ginny leave Ron's room and go into the spare room. He went upstairs to join her in their Secret Room.

"Gin?"

"Yeah?"

"What wasn't a good enough reason?"

"You heard."

"I think the whole street heard you." He sat beside her on the couch.

"Great."

"So, what was the reason?"

"I'm his little sister and you're his best friend."

"You're right, that isn't a good enough reason."

"Does it hurt?"

"Yep." Harry pressed the ice against his nose. "And this is only the beginning. If I 'upset you in anyway' your family will all come after me."

"Are you serious?"

"Ron, Fred, George, Percy, Bill, Charlie, and your Dad."

"Who told you that?"

"Your mother. And I wouldn't put it past her to attack me, too. But I don't care. You're worth dying eight times for."

"That's sweet, I think. I'd kiss you, but I don't want Ron to kill you."

"You're so thoughtful, Gin, but not even Ron can stop me."
This Is The Last Time by Byn
Chapter 2- This Is The Last Time

Ginny was sitting in an armchair by the fireplace in Harry's room, waiting for the perfect moment to wake him up. She looked at her watch- 11:59. Perfect. She put her book down, crossed the room, and jumped onto the bed. "Happy Birthday, Harry!"

"Wha- Ginny, go away," he groaned, rolling over.

"Get up."

"No."

"Harry James Potter, there is a Midnight Madness party waiting for you in the kitchen. Now get down there before I curse you into oblivion."

"Gin, you've only been my girlfriend for a week, you haven't earned the right to threaten me yet."

"I'm not going to give up. I'll keep nagging until sunrise."

"Fine," Harry put on his glasses and climbed out of bed. He didn't even bother to put a shirt on and Ginny certainly wasn't going to say anything about it. She followed him downstairs to the busy kitchen, where streamers and confetti were floating and falling all over.

"Fred and George put Silencing Charms on the kitchen," Ron said, passing Harry a drink.

Harry's state of dress wasn't out of place; everyone was in their pyjamas and Ron wasn't wearing a shirt either. Hermione was wearing very little, as was Ginny. These days, the house seemed to get hotter by the second. The rest of the Weasley boys were wearing t-shirts and jeans, obviously not planning on staying long.

"Do we know how to throw a party or what?" Bill slapped Harry on the back.

"Hermione?" Harry said, sitting beside her, "are you alright?"

Hermione lifted her head from the table. "Oh, Harry, happy birthday. I'm fine, just really, really tired." She yawned.

"You're not the only one. If I wasn't the guest of honour, I'd go back to bed." Harry looked around. Everyone had a drink in their hand, but only Ginny and Hermione were drinking Butter beer.

"The Midnight Madness actually started around 10:30. They're all drunk."

"Maybe I should lock the wine cellar. They're gonna drink everything I have."

"Wouldn't hurt."

"But that would." Percy tripped over Crookshanks and fell on his face. "I never thought Percy was the type to get drunk." Harry laughed as he watched Percy trying to get up, only to have Fred and George trip him repeatedly.

"That shouldn't be funny, but it is," Hermione said between fits of giggles.

"You really should get some sleep, 'Mione. It isn't that funny." Harry couldn’t help laughing, Hermione's giggles were infectious.

"You're right, Harry." She drained her Butter beer and stood up. "Happy birthday." She walked very carefully over to Ron and kissed him goodnight before going up to bed.

"Hey, Birthday Boy," Ginny said, sitting on Harry's lap. "Having fun?"

"Yeah." He downed his drink. "Smooth," he choked. He poured himself another from the bottle sitting on the table.

"Can I have a sip?"

"One sip, we don't need every Weasley drunk." He laughed as Ginny choked on the fire whiskey. "Are you okay?"

"I'm great. God, that's disgusting."

"I know." He drained his glass.

"So why do you drink it?"

"Good question." There was a loud thump in the corner. Ron was unconscious and Fred and George were already drawing on his face. "It'll be interesting to see him when he's awake," Harry said.


**
It was almost 6:00. The kitchen was empty, except for a snoring Ron and Harry and Ginny making out in the corner. Ron groaned.

"Should we wake him?" Ginny asked.

"Nah, let him sleep." Harry yawned. "Your Mum will deal with him in a bit."

Dobby appeared with a crack and tripped over Ron. "Would Harry Potter sir be wanting Dobby to wake up his Wheezy?"

"No thanks, Dobby. Just leave him there, his wake up call will be here soon."

Mrs Weasley opened the kitchen door. The first thing she saw was Ginny sitting on Harry's lap, both wearing the bare minimum. Her gaze dropped to the floor, to Ron.

"RONALD WEASLEY! GET UP NOW!" She screamed. Ron didn't move, he just snored louder.

"Oi, Sleeping Beauty!" Harry yelled. Ron sat up.

"We should go," Ginny said, pulling Harry off his seat and out of the kitchen.

"That was brilliant! I would give anything in the world just to see his face like that again!" Harry laughed.

"Harry," Hermione was leaning over the rail. "What's going on?"

"Mrs Weasley just found Ron."

"You mean he was still unconscious?"

"Uh-huh."

"What are you two doing up so early?" She asked curiously.

"You mean late. We haven't gone to bed yet," Ginny said.

The doorbell rang. Ginny ran upstairs. Not knowing who it was, she didn't want someone seeing her dressed like that.

"Professor Dumbledore," Harry stared at the headmaster.

"Good morning Harry, and happy birthday."

"Thank you, sir." He stepped aside so Dumbledore could come in. "I came to speak with Mrs Weasley."

"She's in the kitchen, but I'd wait awhile, sir. She's still yelling at Ron."

"And what has Mr Weasley done so early in the morning?"

"More like, late at night, sir. He sort of passed out at the party. I didn’t have the heart to wake him."

Ron appeared in the hallway, looking as though he had shrunk two inches after his mother had finished with him. "She's mental, Harry. I'm an adult and she's sent me to my room."

"Don't incur the wrath of Molly Weasley," Harry said, laughing. "I'd go to your room if I were you." Ron nodded and went upstairs.

"Excuse me, Harry," Dumbledore said, heading for the kitchen. Harry went up to the Secret Room.

"Ginny?" He saw her sitting on the couch. "I thought you would have gone to bed."

"What's the point? Mum would be waking me up in half an hour for breakfast."

"True. You should have seen Ron. He actually looked shorter."

"That's what happens after a 'lecture' from Mum."

"So far, it's been a great birthday." He sat beside Ginny on the couch. "I have seen Ron get taken down a notch, twice, and discovered the secret to avoiding a hangover."

"What's that?"

"Don't go to sleep, and snog with your girlfriend for five hours."

"Does that really work?"

"Do I look hung over?" Harry asked.

"A little." She slid closer. "Maybe five hours isn't enough."

"Yeah, I don't think it is either." He leaned forward and kissed her.

"Harry, am I a better kisser than Cho?"

"A million times better," Harry said without hesitation, kissing Ginny again.

"Good." She leaned into the kiss, refusing to end it.


**
Harry and Ginny returned to the kitchen, fully dressed, an hour later. Several members of the Order were at the table, already eating. Harry looked over at Lupin and who he assumed was Tonks. 'So it is true,' he thought. They were holding hands and acting like teenagers in love.

"Aren't they a cute couple?" Ginny said to Harry.

"Happy Birthday, Harry," Mrs Weasley said, pulling him into a bone-crushing hug.

"Uh, Mrs Weasley, I can't breathe," Harry gasped.

"So sorry, dear," Mrs Weasley said, letting him go.

"Wotcher, Harry!" Tonks said. She had long, golden ringlets this morning; ringlets which Lupin enjoyed playing with to Tonks' great amusement.

"Happy birthday, Harry," Lupin smiled. Harry grinned widely and sat down next to Ginny.

"I'm 17," he whispered happily to her.

"I know," Ginny whispered back.

"I never thought I'd see the day when the great Harry Potter turned seventeen," Snape drawled. No one had even noticed he was in the kitchen. Everyone looked at Harry expectantly.

Harry stared at the wall in front of him, trying to focus, before saying, quite calmly, "This is the last time I will tell you, Severus, you and your slimy face are not welcome in this house."

"Believe me, Potter, I take no pleasure in this visit. I am here merely to inform all of you of another attack."

"Who was it, Severus?" Lupin asked.

"Neville Longbottom."


**
Harry and Ginny spent the rest of the day in their Secret Room. They sat on the couch, completely silent for hours.

"I feel like I should be saying something," Ginny said, "but I don't know what to say."

"Neither do I."

"How could there be another attack? I thought Voldemort was gone. You killed him, didn't you?"

"Yeah."

"Then how could he kill-" Ginny couldn't force herself to say Neville's name. She broke down and started sobbing into Harry's shoulder. Harry wrapped his arms around her and kissed the top of her head.

"It was Bellatrix Lestrange. She's the one who tortured his parents, she's been after Neville since that night at the Ministry."

Whether that had been two years, or two hours ago, everyone who was there would never forget. Ron and Hermione still had scars.

"Harry, what's going to happen now?"

"I don't know. I wish I did. I just want all of this to stop. Sometimes, when I'm just about to go to sleep, I think that, if I concentrate hard enough, then all this would just go away- all the pain and suffering, everything that hurts you."

"I wish it were that easy."

"Me, too." He kissed Ginny again and rested his chin on the top of her head.

They sat like that for hours, until Harry noticed the sun had set a while ago. "Gin?" Ginny had fallen asleep. "Hey, Ginny. Wake up, Love."

"What?" She said quietly.

"It's late."

"I know, that's why I was sleeping."

"We should go to bed. This couch isn't comfortable enough to sleep on."

"I guess it isn't." She stood up and stretched before leading the way out into the spare bedroom.

They parted ways at Ginny's door, saying their goodnights. It was not like their usual goodnight, where Harry would try making up excuses for staying in the doorway and kissing Ginny. Being a gentlemen, he never asked to cross the threshold, and never asked Ginny to cross his. He was happy with their games of tonsil-hockey. But, they were both tired and upset tonight, so they settled for a warm hug and a quick kiss.


**
Harry sat up and looked at his blurry surroundings, noticing that the hangings of his bed had been pulled open and someone was sitting beside him, crying. "Ginny, what's wrong?"

"Can I sleep here?"

"Of course you can. Bad dreams?" He asked. Ginny was always welcome in Harry's bed, no questions asked, but in her condition, Harry would never even consider trying anything.

Ginny nodded and climbed under the covers beside Harry. She curled up like a cat, resting her head on his chest. "I keep imagining what his body looked like."

"Don't think about that, just-"

"But I can't help it. It seems so real."

"You're shivering." Harry wrapped his arm around her and held her tight to his body.

"Well, I'm cold."

"There's no need to get sarcastic."

"Sorry.

"Don't be." Harry adjusted himself so he could see Ginny's tear-streaked face. "Do you think you'll be able to sleep now?"

"Yes. Thanks for letting me sleep here, even though Ron will kill you in the morning."

"Now I have something else to worry about," Harry joked. Ginny gave him a weak smile before closing her eyes and nestling into Harry's chest. Harry sighed and closed his eyes.


**
For a week or so after that, Ginny continued to sneak into Harry's room. She felt safe when she was lying close to him like that, his arm draped over her shoulders.

The morning after the third night, when Ginny had left for her room before sunrise, she ran into Ron.

"Morning," she said, ducking into her room. Ron, instead of going back to his room after spending the night with Hermione, knocked on Harry's door.

"Ginny, go back to bed. Ron will-" Harry opened the door. "kill me," he finished lamely, looking at his feet.

"Did you?" Ron said, practically growling.

"Did I what? Oh! No! Ron, she was just upset about Neville. I swear!"

"Good." Ron turned and walked down the hall to his room.
A loud buzzing made Harry jump. He threw his alarm clock against the far wall. He had set it early so he could make Ginny breakfast in bed. Cooking for the Dursleys was absolute Hell, but cooking for those he loved was a great pleasure. Harry loved to experiment with recipes, improving them or just making them more interesting. This morning, he planned to make his tested and true waffles.

If Harry had used magic to prepare this special meal, he would have been done in minutes, but he preferred doing it the Muggle way- it was more personal.

"Gin?" Harry bent over her, holding the tray. "Ginny."

"What time is it?" She yawned, not opening her eyes.

"5:30."

"Little early, don't you think?"

"Not really. Your breakfast would get cold, wouldn't it?"

"Huh?" Ginny opened her eyes and sat up. "You made me breakfast in bed. That's so sweet."

"You like waffles, right?" Harry set the tray down on Ginny's lap.

"Love 'em."

"Happy birthday, Love." He kissed Ginny.

"Want some?" She offered.

"No thanks. I'll be right back, I left your present in my room." In the hall, Harry ran into, quite literally, Ron. "Ron."

"What were you doing in Ginny's room?"

"Talking."

"Oh yeah?"

"Yes. I made her breakfast, and then I said 'happy birthday' and she offered me some of her waffles and I said 'no thanks' and now I'm going to get her present, which I left in my room." Harry walked around Ron and into his room. When he came back out with the gift, Ron was gone. In Ginny's room, he sat on the edge of the bed and watched her open the small box.

"Harry, it's adorable, I love it." It was a silver and pink teddy bear brooch.

"I thought you would."

"It looks expensive."

"Does that matter? Ginny, you're always going to get the best from me, not because I can give it to you, but because you deserve it."

"I don't deserve something like this, Harry," Ginny argued.

"Yes you do. You've always been there when I needed someone to talk to-"

"So were Ron and Hermione."

"But it was different with you, I wasn't obligated to tell you things because you weren't one of my best friends, I told you because I thought you would listen and you did." He looked at the pin, then into Ginny's eyes. "You deserve it because I love you." Ginny stared at him blankly. "Uh, Gin?"

"What?" She said quietly. Harry's face fell. He stood up and opened the door.

"Happy birthday," he said, leaving.

"Harry!" Ginny pushed the tray aside and followed him. "Harry! Wait!" She grabbed his arm. "Harry…"

"I understand. I hope you enjoyed your breakfast." He tried to walk away, but Ginny wouldn't let go.

"Will you stop that? You're being so overdramatic!"

"You didn't answer me."

"You didn't ask a question!…Sorry, I- what I meant was, it's really early Harry, I was, well am, half asleep. Things don't process very quickly." She smiled apologetically. "Harry, I'm sorry if not saying it the second you shut your mouth upset you, but I do love you."

"Really?"

"Really," Ginny said. "Do you think I'd let you buy me expensive things if I didn't?"

"You're adorable, you know that?"

"Yes." Harry chuckled and kissed her.

"Isn't that what bedrooms are for?" Hermione said, walking by.

"I don't know, is it?" Harry asked, wrapping his arms around Ginny.

"How'd you-?"

"I saw Ron coming out of your room this morning." Hermione blushed in a way that would rival a Weasley.


**
Down in the kitchen, all the Weasleys had gathered for breakfast, waiting for Ginny to come downstairs. Mr Weasley was putting the finishing touches on a long parcel while Fred and George argued over who was going to give Ginny their gift.

Harry and Ginny walked in together, as they always did- Harry with his arm over Ginny's shoulders, whispering something to her that would make her blush and giggle, oblivious that a kitchen full of people were watching them.

"Happy birthday, Ginny," Ron said, pulling her away from Harry and hugging her, slipping a small present in to her hand. "Don't open it here."

"Thanks, Ron."

Fred and George were next, with their usual banter. "What have you done with our sister?" Fred said, examining Ginny.

"Ginny is a Quidditch playing tomboy. And this is no Quidditch playing tomboy."

"Should we give her our present anyway?"

"I suppose. We can't let it go to waste, now, can we?"

"No ,we can't." They lifted up the chest together.

"Happy birthday!" Ginny tore off the ribbon and opened the chest.

"Oh my God! Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" She squealed, hugging her brothers. Harry looked in the chest- Quidditch balls, complete with Beater's bats. His jaw dropped.

"Look at the Snitch," George said. Ginny took it out very carefully, not wanting it to start flitting about the kitchen. Her initials were engraved near one of the wings.

"This must have cost a fortune!"

"Hasn't anyone told you it's rude to ask how much a present costs?" Fred asked.

"Nothing's too good for our sister," George said.

"I distinctly remember someone else saying that today," Ginny said, looking at Harry.

"Must be true then," he said, winking.

"Open this one next," Hermione said, pointing to the small pile of gifts on the table. Ginny picked up the purple case and opened it. "The makeup changes colours with your mood," she explained.

"Hermione, this is awesome, thank you!" Ginny said, just as enthusiastically as she had accepted the Quidditch set.

Once Ginny had opened all her presents, including a new set of dress robes, an encyclopaedia of Quidditch fouls, and a new broom, Mrs Weasley served breakfast.

"Harry, I never took you for being cheap," Charlie said. "Didn't you get Ginny a present?"

"He made me breakfast in bed," Ginny said. "And gave me this pin."

"Isn't that sweet?" Hermione said pointedly to Ron, who was obliviously eating scrambled eggs.

As breakfast wound down, the Weasleys who had to get to work left and a large brown owl delivered Hogwarts letters for the rest.

"How'd you do on your OWLs?" Hermione asked before the owl had even left the kitchen. Ginny opened her letter and stared at her results before saying:

"I got 8."

"Really? That's great!" Harry said. He had also received 8 OWLs when he took the tests.

"I failed Divination and History of Magic."

"Does anyone ever pass those?" Ron said.

"Hey!"

"Other than Hermione?" He added.
"
Oh my!" Hermione held a small pin in her hand. "I'm Head Girl."

"No surprise there," Ron said, opening his own letter. A pin fell on the table. "I don't believe it. Head Boy."

"We don't need much this year, do we?" Hermione said after recovering from the shock of becoming Head Girl, looking at the list. "The Shrinking Book of Shrinking Spells, Vindictus Verididan, and some Defense Against The Dark Arts books. I'm pretty sure most of those are in the library, aren't they, Harry?"

"Hm?" He looked at the list. "Maybe, but they'd be too beaten up to read. I do, however, have The Shrinking Book of Shrinking Spells. I think Sirius got it as a joke or something. Whenever you try to open it, it shrinks so small you can't even see it."

"Then why would it be on the list?"

"Maybe we'll have a teacher with a sense of humour for once," Ron said hopefully.

"And if we do, we need to keep Ron out of those classes, or nothing will get done," Hermione said seriously. Harry and Ginny laughed.

"I guess we have to go to Diagon Alley, then?"

"It's up to Ginny," Harry said. "It's her birthday, she should decide what to do."

"Diagon Alley."
Bend and Break by Byn
A/N: This is not one of my favourite chapters, but it does have its moments. Sorry for any discrepancies, but I think they're fairly constant throughout the rest of the story

Chapter 3- Bend and Break

Diagon Alley was full of Hogwarts students- new and old. Harry saw little kids walking in and out of stores with their parents, barely believing that they would be starting their first year in a couple weeks. They looked so small.

Outside Florean Fortescue's, a group of teenage witches who Harry recognized as Hufflepuffs, were sharing a copy of Teen Witch, discussing the famous young wizards.

"He just turned 17," one said. "He'll be starting his seventh year."

"Really? Oh, he's gorgeous. I wish I could date him," said the one on the left.

"He has a girlfriend," the girl in the middle said in a bored voice.

"No!" Her friends hissed.

"Yes."

"Who is it?"

"A Quidditch player."

"Not that Ravenclaw girl that's playing for the Tornadoes now, is it?"

"No, a Gryffindor Chaser." She flipped the pages of the magazine.

"Which one?"

"The pretty one." Ginny, who had overheard the entire conversation, laughed and told Hermione, who also laughed. Harry and Ron looked at their girlfriends and shrugged.

"Oh my god! There he is!" One of the girls said, pointing at Harry.

"I can't believe it," the sensible one of the three said. "He goes to our school, sits at the next table, and we see him every day. Get over yourselves." Her friends punched her in the shoulders and continued to stare at the incredibly sexy Harry and question the middle girl.

"Who's that with him? The tall red-head."

"Ron, he's the Keeper for the Gryffindor team."

"He's cute too."

"He's got a girlfriend."

"Who?"

"Her," the one holding the magazine pointed at Hermione.

"That is so not fair. Why do the cute ones always have girlfriends?"

"Because their cute."

Harry and Ron heard the last bit of the conversation and realized what the girls were laughing at. They looked over at the Hufflepuffs and waved. Ginny and Hermione glared at the girls reading Teen Witch and dragged their boyfriends away.

"I think I'm in love," the blonde girl sighed as Harry and Ron were pulled into Madam Malkin's.


**
The group had finished shopping by noon and met in the Leaky Cauldron for lunch. Hermione had stopped to buy a copy of the Teen Witch issue the Hufflepuffs were reading. "Get this, Harry," she said, reading an article, "you're an international heartthrob."

"You're kidding!"

"It's perfectly understandable. You're smart, charming, funny, athletic, and the man who saved the entire wizarding world. And look at that, you're fairly photogenic, too." She slid the magazine across the table. Harry saw a picture of himself from a Daily Prophet story that had run around Christmastime. He had been at St Mungo's visiting Order members who had been injured in the final battle when a photographer for the Prophet had taken his picture in the corridor. Even though his photo self was annoyed and miserable, he was still extremely attractive.

"This is ridiculous." Harry laughed in spite of himself. He felt violated by the invasion of privacy, but he thought it was hilarious that he was an international heartthrob. "What about Krum? I thought he was Quidditch's poster boy."

"Viktor? Well, he got married, so he's not very popular with young witches," Hermione said, sipping her tea.

"How'd you know he got married?" Ron said.

"You know we're still pen pals, Ron. Besides. It was on the cover of Teen Witch in April."

"Who'd he marry?"

"Fleur Delacour."

"Really?" Harry said. "I thought she was dating Bill."

"She was," Ginny said. "He proposed, she dumped him, then married Krum two weeks later."

"That's harsh."

A large shadow loomed over the table. The four sat silently, looking at each other nervously. "Happy Birthday Ginny, and to you too, Harry!" Hagrid boomed. "Ready for a new term?"

"Can't wait," Harry said.

"Teen Witch? Hermione, I thought you were smart enough to not read that rubbish."

"I normally wouldn’t, but it was a special circumstance."

"And what would that be?" Hagrid said in a friendly manor.

"Harry's an international heartthrob," Ginny laughed. "Isn't that ridiculous?"

"Hey!" Harry looked indignantly at Ginny, which made her laugh even harder. "Three Hufflepuff girls are in love with me, and you thinks it's ridiculous."

"What's ridiculous is that you've only noticed those three," Hermione said. "Every single girl at Hogwarts follows you around."

"I don't believe it," Harry muttered.

"Neither do I!" Ginny was still laughing.

"I can't believe those girls consider you the pretty Chaser," Ron said to Ginny. She glared at him and pulled out the pouch he gave her for her birthday. "Don't you dare."

"Try me." She took some blue powder out of the bag and held her hand in front of Ron's face.

"Harry, help me!"

"No way. You have to get out of this yourself."

"Hermione?"

"Are you kidding? I want to hear an explanation myself, since Ginny's the only female Chaser."

"Ginny, you misunderstood. I didn't mean you weren't pretty, I just meant-"

"Meant what?"

"Fine, do whatever you want. It's useless." Ron gave up. Ginny blew the powder into Ron's face, which was immediately covered in blue polka dots.


**
Ron was forced to walk around Diagon Alley with the polka dots all afternoon. Harry claimed to not know the counter curse, even though Ginny had told him three times. Hermione said she would if she could, but she was still 16 and couldn't risk any underage magic, being Head Girl and all. Unfortunately for Ron, the three Hufflepuffs were in Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes when they walked in.

"This could be fun," Ginny said, holding Harry's hand. She watched the girls look at Ron, start laughing, and leave.

"You're cruel, you know that?" Ron said.

"I think that's enough torture for today. Harry, would you mind doing the counter curse?" She asked politely. Harry shrugged and muttered a couple words. The spots turned purple, then vanished.

"Thank you."

"I love the start of a new school year," Fred said, walking up to them. "Sales have gone way up in the past week."

"Can we interest our four favourite Gryffindors in some new and improved Skiving Snack boxes?" George held up a snack box.

"How exactly are they improved?"

"We've added something just for our overachievers, extra Migraine Mint antidotes."

"And, for the fifth and seventh years, we've made special snack boxes with just the antidotes."

"Since when have you two helped those in need?" Ron asked.

"Well, when you consider the side affects-"

"They aren't much help at all."

"Side affects?" Hermione put a snack box back on the shelf.

"Well, once the antidote wears off, you're symptoms come back twice as bad."

"And how long does the antidote last?"

"A couple days."

"So if you've got loads of Homework on Wednesday-"

"And it's all due Friday-"

"And you take one of the Migraine Mint antidotes-"

"You'd spend the weekend in bed with a paralysing headache."

"You are warning your customers of this, aren't you?"

"Of course we are," Fred said indignantly.

"It's on the label, too." George pointed to the side of the box where the side affects (which were minimal in number) were listed in detail.

"I'm willing to take my chances," Ron said, reaching for the shelf.

"Don't even think about it, Ronald," Hermione said. "You're Head Boy. You have to set a good example for the students!"

"Head Boy?" The twins exchanged worried looks.

"Get out before Percy sees you," George said quietly. It was too late. Percy was already strolling up the aisle, puffed up like the pompous git that he was.

"Congratulations, Ron. I knew you could do it." He pumped Ron's hand.

"Thanks, Perce," Ron said.

**
After a quick look around and Hermione chastising them for every item they picked up, they left the store and walked up the road to the tavern where Mrs Weasley was waiting. A particularly uncomfortable trip by Floo powder later, Harry and Ginny retreated to their Secret Room.

"I could spend the rest of my life in here," Harry said, eating some Bertie Bott's Every Flavour Beans. "As long as you were with me."

"Well, we'd have to do some serious redecorating. This could get a little boring if we spent the rest of our lives here." Ginny was laying on the floor, blowing bubbles with the Drooble's gum she had picked up earlier.

"We would definitely have to do something about those bubbles." Ginny's bubbles were floating up to the ceiling and bouncing off each other. "Ugh! Liver."


**
Harry, for once, wasn't thrilled about being back at Hogwarts. Every single girl in the Great Hall had read Teen Witch and looked at Harry with great admiration. Ever since Harry stepped on to the train just hours ago to when he walked into the Great Hall, girls had been watching him, pointing at him, and wishing to trade places with Ginny. Ginny, on the other hand, was fed up with these girls, not that she was jealous. Not one of them could hold Harry's attention for more than five minutes.

The hall went silent- Professor McGonnagall was leading the first years up the aisle between the Gryffindor and Ravenclaw tables. The students, from "Aaron, April" to "Zurich, Walter," were sorted.

"Welcome," Dumbledore said, "to a new year at Hogwarts!" Harry was glad the attention wasn't on him anymore. "Before I get to the list of forbidden objects that Mr Filch has no doubt amended, I would like to introduce to you our new Defense against the Dark Arts teacher, Professor Nymphadora Tonks."

"That's Tonks?" Ginny said, clapping along with the rest of the school. Tonks had long, straight bluish-black hair and a very small noise- it was a new look for her.

"So that explains The Shrinking Book of Shrinking Spells," Hermione mused.

Dumbledore then went on to explain to the first years that the Forbidden Forest was forbidden, and mentioned Filch's new additions to the list, now numbering 502 and growing, thanks to Weasley's Wizarding Wheezes.

Food appeared on the gold platters in the centre of the tables. Ron piled his plate with everything in reach.

"Hey, Harry!" Collin Creevey shouted down the table. "When's the first Quidditch practice?"

"Next month, Collin, as usual!" Harry shouted back. "You'd think that if you play Quidditch, you know when the season starts."

"I think Collin's been hit in the head a few too many times by the bludger," Ginny laughed.

"Blame Dennis," Ron said. "He always knocks Collin off his broom."

"More than once a match."

"Uh, Harry? Don't look now, but your fan club is coming this way."

"Peachy. 'Mione, what's the password?"

"Carpe Diem."

"Thanks." He and Ginny left the hall, barely avoiding the girls. "This is nuts!"

"They're following us."

"I don't believe it."

"At least they aren't Gryffindors. Then that'd be a real problem."

"Carpe Diem," Harry said when they reached the portrait of the Fat Lady.

"Well, hello to you, too," she said sarcastically, swinging open.

The common room was exactly as Harry remembered it. The chairs were even in the same places they had been moved to for an End of Term party in June.

"It's so good to be home," he said, flopping onto a couch by the fireplace. "I'm gonna miss it here."

"So fail your NEWTs and stay an extra year. Graduate with me."

"And have your mother kill me? I think I'll pass."

"That was lame, Harry." She sat on his lap and kissed him.

"I know."

The portrait hole opened. Hermione was leading the first years into the common room. "Most of the time, you'll find fellow Gryffindors in here doing homework-"

Harry and Ginny sat up suddenly, making Hermione stop.

"The boys' dormitories are up the staircase to your right. Girls' dormitories are up the stairs on your left. Your trunks have already been brought up." She left the first years and joined Harry and Ginny by the fire, glaring at Harry, who shrugged and said:

"Where's Ron?"

"Talking Quidditch with the Creeveys. They're trying to guess who's going to be the new Chaser."

"New Chaser? Right… Jenny left last year. I hadn't even thought of that."

"We should encourage the first years to try out. They never do," Ginny suggested.

Harry looked over his shoulder at the first years on the other side of the room. "Oi! Any of you play Quidditch?" He asked. A couple of them did. "Good. We're going to need a Chaser this year. I'd better see you two a tryouts!" They nodded nervously. "There." He looked at Ginny. "Now they'll have a fair chance."

"The only problem is, they might break your record for the youngest Quidditch player in a century."

Harry shrugged again.


**
As the evening went on, the seventh years drifted over to the fireplace and talked about their summers, eventually ending up on the subject of Neville.

"That's horrible," Parvati said, on the verge of tears. It was the first she had heard of it.

"We should have an Irish wake," Seamus said.

"Trust the Irishman to turn anything into a party," Ron said.

"Well, it would be fun," Hermione said, "and it is a nice way to remember a person."

"Plus there are a lot of funny stories to tell about Neville," Dean said, thinking of the countless potions Neville barely managed to make successfully.

"I wonder what happened to Trevor?" Lavender asked. Neville's death was, now a source of humour. It was the perfect way to remember a friend, all the good and funny things he'd done, rather than sitting around being depressed.

"He probably croaked." Harry ducked as Ginny hit him with a pillow.

"That wasn't funny!" She laughed.

"Tomorrow night, we have a wake!" Seamus said enthusiastically.

"We shouldn't be laughing about this," Hermione giggled. "It's disrespectful."

"Do you really think Neville would want us to be all depressed, or do you think he'd want us to have fun?"


**
Ginny and Ron snuck into the kitchens after supper Saturday night and brought piles of food and butter beer up to the common room. Dean had drawn a sketch of Neville, which Hermione enlarged and placed on the mantle with a black bow.

"I think we're ready." Harry turned on a stereo that he had enchanted to play without electricity. It played a mix of Muggle and Wizarding music.

It was nearly midnight. Pretty much any student in third year or below had gone to bed, but the music had drawn them to the common room.

A group of fourth year girls were sitting by the staircases. "He was kinda cute," one girl said.

"In an unconventional way."

"He was sweet, and charming."

"And smart, even though you couldn't always tell."

"I always felt sorry for him, living with his grandmother. He wasn't exactly confident."


By 1:00, all stories anyone knew about Neville had been told, and the wake had turned into a full-fledged party. The music got louder and everyone got crazier. Every so often, someone would find a bottle of fire whiskey and the older students would toast Neville. "To Neville!" they drank to cheers. "And his toad!" Another shot and another outburst of clapping. The toasts got more ridiculous as they drank. "To his nimble mumble tonia!"

"That's not even close," Harry said to Seamus, who had made the last toast. It's 'Mimble- Mimble tonia…" he made several more attempts to say "mimbelous mimbletonia, but to no avail. "If anyone can name Neville's plant, they get a free bottle of fire whiskey!"

Hermione was sitting on a couch with Ginny while their boyfriends drank to Neville. Even though they had protested, not only because it was against school rules, but because Mrs Weasley would kill them if they got in trouble, plus Ron would be replaced as Head Boy, and Harry would be off the Quidditch team.

"Well, it is an old Wizarding tradition," Ginny said. "When someone dies in battle, their mates often toast them, but usually with something a little more fitting than fire whiskey."

"They do that in the Muggle world, too, especially during a war. His friends would fill a shot glass and place it on a ledge with his picture, then have a round themselves."

"It is an Irish Wake, so, when in Rome…" Ginny drank her butter beer along with another toast to Neville.

Ron walked over, wobbling slightly, and sat in a chair across from Hermione. "I've had enough," he said.

"Have a butter beer." Ginny handed him a bottle. "Where's Harry?"

"With Dean and Seamus." Across the room, the three boys started to sing "Danny Boy."

"They aren't half bad, even if they don't know the words," Hermione said thoughtfully.

"That's because they're half drunk."

"I'm going to bed," Hermione said, finishing off her butter beer and standing up. "Good night, Ron." She gave him a quick kiss and headed for the girls' staircase.

"I'm gonna go to bed, too," Ron said. "G'night, Gin." He stumbled up to the boys' dormitories.

Ginny watched the crowd around Harry, Dean, and Seamus from the couch, joining in on the toasts with bottle after bottle of butter beer.

By 4:30, everyone had gone to bed, except for Ginny. And Harry, who had fallen asleep- or passed out- about half an hour ago beside her.


**
Sunday Morning (or afternoon for most Gryffindors), was painful. Harry had woken up when the sun shone in his face and went up to his dorm to get some more sleep. Ron and every other person who had been drinking slept straight through to lunch.

"Never drink fire whiskey when toasting a dead friend," Seamus groaned. "Stick to butter beer. That way, you won't get a hangover."

"Too little, too late," Harry said, burying his head in his pillow. Ron, however, managed to actually get up and get dressed without complaining of a headache.

"I quit early," he explained when he noticed the rueful looks he was getting.

"Makes sense, I mean, we wouldn't want a repeat of my birthday, now would we?" Harry sat up, very slowly, and put on his glasses.

"Why? What happened?"

"He passed out around one and his mother found him on the kitchen floor when she came down to make breakfast. Ginny and I couldn’t wake him- it didn't seem fair to deny his mother the satisfaction."


**
Harry and Ron were reprimanded by Ginny and Hermione the second they sat down. Well, Harry more than Ron, since he had been the one to pass out.

"You realize you broke about a million rules, don't you?"

"Don't exaggerate. There aren't even a million rules," Harry groaned, avoiding eye contact with Hermione.

"And since we didn't get caught, most would consider last night's party to be bending the rules," Ron said optimistically.

"I don't care. I'm Head Girl and, even though I should be taking points off for this, I won't. But next time-"

"There had better not be a next time," Harry said. The thought of having another wake instantly sobered him up. He spent the rest of lunch trying to put it out of his mind while he ate.

A/N: I told you so.
We Might As Well Be Strangers by Byn
A/N: Sorry it's been so long, but there's this pesky little thing called school that is always taking my time. Well, that and I've been going to see GoF every chance I get... Hope you like!

Chapter 4- We Might As Well Be Strangers


The whole school had fallen into a routine- breakfast, class, lunch, class, supper, homework. Wash, rinse, repeat. - within a week. It was another two before first years could get to all their classes without getting lost.

Potions was a drag, as always. Since Harry had moved into number 12 Grimmauld Place and forbade Snape from setting foot on the property except in extreme emergencies, Potions had been interesting to say the least. Snape picked on Harry even more than usual, and Harry bit back, being as cheeky as could be, calling him Severus in class and using the classic Marauders' insults. Surprisingly, Harry had passed every assignment with O's and was never given detention.

Transfiguration was a little more difficult than previous years. Professor McGonnagall seemed to enjoy that Snape had been taken down a peg and by a student, no less. Her lessons were interesting and sometimes fun, like transfiguring your partner into an animal. Harry, pretending to be aiming at Ron, fired over Ron's shoulder, hitting Malfoy in the back of the head and turning him into a ferret.

"Constant Vigilance, Malfoy!" Ron laughed as Malfoy scurried around the classroom, eventually being saved by Professor McGonnagall.

"Ten points from Gryffindor for irresponsible magic. And ten points will be awarded to Gryffindor for an extremely well performed spell."

"Ron, have you noticed something about the teachers?" Harry said, putting his wand away at the end of class. "And Hermione."

"What about them?"

"They haven't taken any points from Gryffindor, and when they have, they've found an excuse to give them back."

"Why are you complaining about that?"

"I'm not. It's just strange. Hermione said that she should have taken points for that party, but didn't. Snape could have had me expelled by now, and I was just awarded ten points for turning Malfoy into a ferret."

"Now that you mention it…"

They met up with Hermione on their way to Defence Against The Dark Arts. "How was Transfiguration?"

"Harry turned Malfoy into a ferret."

"Oh, Harry, you didn't! McGonnagall gave you detention, didn't she?"

"No. She just took ten points from Gryffindor for irresponsible magic, and then re-awarded them for a well performed spell."

"He thinks it's part of a conspiracy," Ron said.

"Conspiracy? You're being ridiculous." Hermione dropped her book bag on a desk in the front row and sat down between Harry and Ron.

"Good Afternoon, class," Tonks said, walking in. She still had the long, black hair.

"Good Afternoon, Professor Tonks," the class chanted. As Tonks surveyed the class, she changed her hair to the spiky, bubblegum pink.

"Whoa. How'd you do that?"

"I'm a metamorphmagus. Be warned, I can and will change my appearance at any time. You won't always recognize me." She saw Harry in the front row and winked. "Now, I know most of you think Defense Against The Dark Arts is obsolete now that Voldemort-" most of the class shuddered collectively- "oh, come on now! He's dead. You're not honestly afraid of a dead guy? Anyway, even though he is dead, you still need to be prepared. There are still Death Eaters out there, and even though the worst are gone, there are still some pretty powerful ones like Bellatrix Lestrange, who still do their master's bidding.

"Most of you know many useful spells and can perform them quite well. However, that is not enough. An old friend of mine has a saying: Constant Vigilance!" Harry and Ron laughed. "And that's what it takes. You can't just know the curse, you have to be the curse. Think of what you want it to do and just picture it happening. Sometimes, if you concentrate hard enough, it'll happen without a wand." She looked at Harry.

"It was an accident," he said reflexively, not sure which "accident" he had meant, whether it was letting the snake loose at the zoo, or blowing up Aunt Marge, or any of the other things he destroyed.

"I know," Tonks said, returning her attention to the class and continuing her lecture about the importance of concentration when defended oneself.

At the end of class, she asked Harry, Ron and Hermione to stay behind. "How'd I do?"

"Brilliant," Ron said. "You made Harry feel guilty about blowing up his Aunt."

"Shut up."


**

Quidditch season was starting. Harry had booked the pitch for tryouts Friday evening. Ron and Ginny were arguing over who was better- The Cannons or the Tornadoes. The Creeveys said Puddlemere was the best. And every so often, Ginny's monogrammed Snitch could be seen flitting about the common room.

Half an hour before tryouts were to start, Harry, Ron and Ginny headed for the pitch.

"There better be someone who can play like a Weasley, or we're screwed," Harry said in the changing room.

"How many people are trying out?" Ron asked, emerging tousle-haired from the neck of his Quidditch robes.

"Ten signed up. Where are those bloody Creevey brothers?"

"Speak of the Devil," Ginny said as the Creeveys walked in.

"Hermione's in the stands," Colin said, tossing his bat onto a bench. "I think she wants to talk to you, Ron."

Ron went out onto the pitch. He mounted his broom and flew over to Hermione. "You wanted to see me?" He smiled. His hair was still messy.

"I just wanted to wish you good luck." She kissed him quite passionately. A little too passionately for someone sitting on a broomstick.

"Don't do that when I'm on my broom, it makes it very difficult to fly." Hermione seemed pleased with herself.

"How long do you think this is going to take?"

"An hour, maybe two. Why, do you have something better to do?"

"Actually…"

"Don't tell me it's homework. I'll die if you'd rather be doing homework."

"I was just kidding… I think they're waiting for you." She pointed at Harry and Ginny, hovering on their brooms at the far end of the pitch.


**

"It's not the broomstick, it's the player," Ginny was saying as Ron flew over.

"It's the broomstick. My Firebolt can fly circles around your Nimbus 2002."

"Wanna bet?"

"Where are our Chasers?" Ron said. The rest of the team- Colin, Dennis, and Justin- were tossing the quaffle back and forth.

A group of students walked onto the pitch, each one of them with a school broom.

"This could be a problem," Harry said. The school brooms were outdated and uncared for. He made a mental note to spend some of his vast fortune on some inexpensive, but good quality brooms for the school.

Harry dove very quickly and executed a perfect Wronksy Feint, stopping two feet from the prospective Chasers. "Glad you all showed up. As you know, Gryffindor has won the cup for the majority of the past seven years. Hufflepuff and Ravenclaw are good, but they're going to have almost all new players. Slytherin is probably the most pathetic team I've ever seen, and they're going to be worse this year, since that prat, Malfoy is captain.

"What we need is talent, confidence, and attitude. If you don’t have any of those three factors, please leave." No one left. "Good. Ginny! Justin!" Harry called the Chasers over. "These are our two Chasers. They're going to do some drills with you and then we're going to see what you all can do." He turned to his Chasers. "Give it all you got. I want the best and we can't accept anything else."

Colin and Dennis had been hitting a Bludger back and forth while Ron threw golf balls at Harry for him to practice. In the stands, Hermione had started reading Hogwarts: A History for the umpteenth time.

A loud WHACK indicated that a Creevey had been knocked off his broom. Colin dove to the ground and took Dennis to the hospital wing.

"I guess that means we should start practice," Ron said. Harry nodded he flew over to the Chasers.

"How are they?"

"No one's fumbled yet, at least not majorly," Ginny said.

"They're all pretty good. They can carry on a conversation without dropping the Quaffle," Justin confirmed. "And that's pretty hard to do."

"Ron's in position. Choose a couple Chasers and test 'em out. I want a Weasley," Harry said. Ginny nodded. Justin looked confused.

"A Weasley?"

"This team has relied on the Weasleys for years. We need someone with the same talent and attitude as any of them- except Percy- and you two need to find them."

"Aye Aye Cap'n," Ginny said, saluting Harry. She chose two Chasers and told the rest to stand off to the side. It took them hours to choose the Chaser.

"So?" Harry asked as Ginny landed smoothly beside him.

"I think Marty's our best bet. He's a little rough, but he'll be fine after a couple practices."

"He's got the Weasley talent?"

"He'll be fine after a couple practices," Ginny repeated, at little less confidently.

"They didn't look that bad from here."

"Maybe you should get your glasses checked."

Hermione had fallen asleep in the stands- Quidditch wasn't really her thing. The team changed and walked back up to the castle. Ron had gone up to the stands to get Hermione, and Harry and Ginny had taken their sweet time in the change rooms.



**
Harry was sitting in the common room late Friday night, or rather early Saturday morning. He had stayed up to finish a potions essay- heckling Snape was good for morale, but doing the homework was good for your health. Dropping his quill on the parchment after hours of dreadfully boring work, Harry laid back on the couch and fell asleep.

"Harry?…Harry."

Harry blinked and opened his eyes. "Ginny. What time is it?"

"Nearly three," she yawned.

"What are you doing up?"

"Couldn't sleep. I've never been this worried before a match." Ginny sat beside Harry on the couch and rested her head on his shoulder.

"I have. Only once. My first match. Right before we walk out onto the pitch, Oliver tells me what happened to him during his first match."

"What?"

"Hit in the head by a bludger. Spent two weeks in the hospital wing."

"Some confidence booster."

"Marty'll be fine."

"It's not Marty I'm worried about. It's the Creeveys."

"Maybe they'll both take a bludger to the head…"

"That's awful, Harry!"

"I know, but it's our best chance of winning."

"What were you doing up?" Ginny decided to change the subject.

"Potions essay. It'll be easier to play Quidditch without worrying about Snape."

"We're playing Slytherin."

"Thanks." He said sarcastically.

"No problem. You should probably go to sleep, Harry. You'll be no good to me if you're sleeping on your broom." Harry nodded and yawned.

"Night, Gin." He kissed her on the cheek and went to bed.


**

It was the shortest match in Hogwarts' History. Within two minutes, Harry had caught the Snitch. Unfortunately, that wasn't all that happened.

At the same time Harry's fingers closed over the Snitch, Ginny took a bludger to the head, courtesy of Malfoy, and fell fifty feet to the ground.

"GINNY!" Harry dove to catch her, but he was too late. She hit the ground with an echoing crash. "Ginny!" He fell to the ground beside her, forcing himself not to cry.

Ron appeared at Harry's side. "Ginny…" he whispered.

By now, Dumbledore, Professor McGonnagall, and Madam Pomfrey were on the pitch. Ginny was taken to the hospital wing, where Harry, Ron, and Hermione refused to leave her side.

"Visiting hours are over!" Madam Pomfrey said sternly. "You must return to your dormitories!"

"I'm not leaving her," Harry said defiantly. "What if she wakes up and no one's around?"

"Alright, you can stay. But you two," she turned to Ron and Hermione, "have to go."

"If Harry stays, I stay," Ron said. His eyes were red a swollen from crying, even though he wouldn't admit it.

"Come on, Ron," Hermione said. "You look like you could use some rest."

"No. I'm her brother. I should be the one to stay."

"Ron…" Ginny was stirring.

"There you have it," Ron said. "I'm staying." He rushed over to Ginny's side.

"What happened?" She asked.

"You were knocked off your broom. How d'you feel?"

"Okay, I guess… where am I?"

"Hogwarts, where else?"

"Hogwarts?" Ginny asked. "What's that?"

"It's our school, Gin, remember?"

"No…" Ron's jaw dropped. Harry heard this and joined Ron by the bed.

"Ginny, do you remember me?" He asked.

Ginny looked at him, scanning his body and searching his eyes. "No. Who are you?" She asked politely. Harry felt his eyes fill with tears. Everything they had, their friendship, their relationship, their secrets, everything, was gone because of Malfoy.

"I'm Harry," he said, blinking away the tears.

"It's nice to meet you Harry." That was too much for him. He stormed out of the hospital wing in search of Malfoy, Hermione pleading with him not to do anything stupid.

**

Malfoy was standing just outside the castle, leaning casually on his broom and recounting the game to Crabbe and Goyle, making himself sound like a hero. Harry marched up to him, fuming.

It was over in seconds, Malfoy laying in a crumpled heap, covering his nose, and Harry standing over him. "If you ever come near Ginny again, I'll kill you." And with one last kick in the stomach, he marched right back up to the hospital wing.

"What did you do, Harry?" Hermione asked.

"Nothing out of the ordinary." Five minutes later, Crabbe and Goyle dragged Malfoy in. "He deserved it," Harry said, defending himself.

"I don't believe you! That was extremely childish, Harry!"

"Made me feel better, though."

"Couldn’t you have taken your anger out on a bludger or something a little more humane?"

"More humane? Hermione, the most humane thing anyone can do is destroy that twitchy little ferret!"

Hermione sighed. "He has made our lives hell," she agreed, "but you can't just wave your wand and ki-" She stopped herself, knowing very well that you could just wave your wand and kill someone, and in Harry's case, he might not even need a wand. "Just keep your temper in check." She gave Harry a hug and left.

Harry went over to Ginny's bed and sat down. "How do you feel?"

"My head hurts, but other than that…" she trailed off. Ginny always was an optimist.

"Mum and Dad should be here soon. Dumbledore sent them an owl." Ron's voice was monotonous. He was resting his chin on his hands and staring at a speck of dust by the window.

"I'll stay with Ginny if you want to meet them."

"No, I think I'll stay," Ron answered, still focusing on the dust. Harry nodded. He understood that Ron wouldn't want to leave her side, just as he didn't.

Madam Pomfrey appeared at the bedside. "Visiting hours are over, boys."

"But-"

"Come on, Ron," Harry said. "You've been sitting there all day."

"But-"

"Ginny needs to rest and your parents are going to be here to sit with her. We can come back after supper."

"Alright." Ron stood up. He looked at his sister one last time and left with Harry.


**

"Ron, you're not eating," Hermione said, staring at Ron's empty plate. He hadn't touched any of the food, which was exceptionally puzzling considering there was a platter of pork chops right in front of him.

"I'm not hungry."

Harry hadn't eaten anything either, but he knew Hermione would be watching so he just pushed the food around on his plate.

"Harry, are you alright?" Harry looked up from his plate, giving Hermione a look that said, quite plainly, 'leave me alone.' "Right, well, I'm off. Plenty of homework to do." She left the Great Hall.

"How can she think of homework now?" Ron said. Harry shrugged. He was thinking along the same lines as Ron. How could anyone be thinking about anything other than what happened to Ginny? "Where are you going?"

Harry thought that was an odd question. He looked down and realized he had stood up. "Common room, I guess." He left. Maybe distracting himself would help, and he did have a lot of homework, too.

**
Hermione peered over the top of her book at Harry, who was slumped and slowly slipping out of his favourite chair. "Harry?"

"Hm?" He was staring into the fire.

"She'll be fine."

"Hm." He didn't even notice Hedwig fly in through an open window and drop a purple envelope in his lap.

"Aren't you going to open that?"

"Open what?"

"The letter, Harry." She pointed to the envelope.

"Oh." It was from Dumbledore. Of course it was, Harry thought, Dumbledore knows every secret of every student in this school, so he would obviously know how I feel. Damn him. "Dumbledore wants to speak to me."

"Well, aren't you going to go?"

"No." Dumbledore always spoke in riddles, and it wasn't until the last second that Harry would figure it out. What was the point on getting advice that would be useless until someone else had solved the problem?

"Harry, haven't you ever realized that Dumbledore knows just what to say?"

"No." Because he never says anything helpful, he thought.

"Just go, Harry. You aren't doing anything else, so it's not like he's interrupting you."

"Fine."

**
"What do you want?" The gargoyle cackled.

"Shut it," Harry snarled. "Canary Creams." The gargoyle sprang out of the way and revealed a spiral staircase. "Overgrown lawn ornament."

"Oi!" The other gargoyle called after him indignantly.

"Ah, Mr Potter," Dumbledore said serenely.

"Professor."

"How is miss Weasley?"

"Okay, I guess." Harry shrugged. What was he supposed to say? She's great, absolutely fantastic.

"Sarcasm is a great defense mechanism, isn't it, Harry?" He must have heard Harry's thoughts.

"I-I guess."

"Madam Pomfrey tells me that miss Weasley will be out of hospital in about two weeks."

"Good to know," he said bitterly. All he really wanted to do right know was make Ginny remember, not waste time talking to Dumbledore.

"At that time, and if her parents allow it, I believe there is a place you would like to show her?"

"How'd you-?"

"It doesn't take a skilled legilimens to know what your thinking right now, Harry."

Great, I'm an open book. "There isn't much point, is there? She thinks she just met me. We might as well be strangers. She won't trust me enough to go to Grimmauld Place."

"You'd be surprised at what the subconscious can remember, no matter how severe the injury." He stroked Fawkes' feathers. "Goodnight, Harry."

"Goodnight, Professor," Harry said, a little confused. Mainly because, for once, he understood what Dumbledore meant, well, almost understood it. He headed up to the hospital wing to say goodnight to Ginny.

"Five minutes, Potter," Madam Pomfrey said. Harry ignored her and went straight for Ginny's bed.

"Hi."

"Hi… Harry, is it?" Harry nodded. "You're Ron's friend."

"Yeah." He paused, then decided he might as well tell her. "Ginny, I'm more than Ron's friend, I'm your friend, too."

"I don't see why we can't be friends, you seem nice enough."

"No, that's not what I mean. We've known each other for over six years."

"We have?"

"Yes, we have, and…"

"And, what?" She looked up at Harry quizzically. Telling her could be a mistake, he thought.

"And… nothing." He stood up. "Goodnight, Gin."

A/N: I had honestly forgotten what happened in this chapter. Ironic, isn't it?
Everybody's Changing by Byn
A/N:I'm sorry! I know you hate me, but hopefully this chapter will redeem me.

Chapter 5- Everybody's Changing

Ginny was released from the hospital wing a day early. Most of her memories had returned. She remembered Hogwarts and the teachers, and everything she had learned, but there were areas of her life that were still fuzzy, like Harry. There were some things about Harry she remembered, like how she trusted him, and that they were close, but she wasn't sure how close.

"Number 12, Grimmauld Place? Why are we going there?"

"You'll see," Harry said. They had taken a portkey from Dumbledore's office to an alleyway near the house.

"It looks like it's falling apart."

"You love that house, you know."

"I do? It's in worse shape than the Burrow."

"Only on the outside. Dobby's done wonders with it."

"Dobby?"

"House elf." Harry opened the door and ushered her in.

"You live here?" She inhaled deeply, hoping the smell would trigger a memory.

"Yeah." A loud noise- something between a squawk and a neigh- made Ginny jump. "It's ok, that was just Buckbeak." He looked at Ginny. She was confused and startled. "The hippogriff."

"You have a hippogriff?"

"Yeah. He belonged to my Godfather, now he's mine."

"Who was your Godfather?"

"Sirius Black."

"That man who everyone thought was a murderer? He was at the ministry that ni- I'm sorry, Harry." She took his hand and rested her head on his shoulder.

"Why don't you take a look around, and I'll fix you the best meal you've ever had."

"You can cook?"

**

"Hey, Gin, supper's ready!" Harry called. Ginny didn't answer. "Ginny?" He wandered through the house and found her sitting on the floor in the library, crying over an old photograph. He sat down beside her and looked at the picture. "Neville."

"Harry, I'm sorry. I was just looking at the books and it was on the shelf. I didn't mean-" She sniffed.

"Don't apologize. Everything in this house is as much yours as it is mine." He tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. Ginny looked at the picture of Neville trying to hold on to Trevor.

"It's the strangest thing… I have no idea who this is, but I remember that he was killed. I remember how I felt when-"

"I remember how you felt," Harry said sincerely. He hated that Ginny had been so upset, but he was the one she came to for comfort, he was the one who held her when she cried, the one who dried her tears.

"He was a close friend, wasn't he?"

"He was. Very close." Harry was trying very hard not to cry himself. He took the picture and placed it back on the bookshelf, behind an empty shot glass. He grabbed two shot glasses and a bottle of scotch, filling all three glasses. "Here." Ginny took the glass. "It's a muggle tradition," he said, "To absent friends."

"To absent friends." Ginny echoed the toast and downed the scotch.

"Come on, let's go eat." He led Ginny down to the kitchen.

"You made all this?" She said, taking a seat.

"With a little help from Dobby." As if he had been listening from around the corner, Dobby appeared with a bottle of butter beer for Ginny and a pint for Harry. Supper was eaten, for the most part, in silence.

"Tell me something, Harry," Ginny said, putting her fork down. "When you said that everything in the house was as much mine as it is yours, what did you mean?"

Harry wasn't sure how to answer this. "Well, I-" He was saved from answering her question by Lupin and Tonks falling out of the fireplace.

"Sorry 'bout that, Harry," Lupin said, dusting himself off. "Didn't mean to interrupt."

"I thought the house was taken off the Floo network," Harry said, waving his wand to repair a vase Tonks had knocked over.

"The Order decided it would be best to have it connected, but there's limited access. Only members of the Order can come and go, and you're only connected to their houses, Hogwarts, and Diagon Alley."

"Right… Tell me again, what are you doing here?"

"We, uh…we-"

"We came to check on Buckbeak," Lupin finished. "What are you doing here?"

"I live here."

"Good point. Well, you obviously don't need us around. We'll just go, then." And they Disapparated without another word. Ginny started giggling.

"What?"

"Isn't it obvious?"

"Obviously not," Harry said, smiling.

"They didn't come to check on Buckbeak, Harry, they came to-" She lapsed into another fit of giggles.

"You know, I think I could have gone a lifetime without knowing that." He cleared the table and disappeared to the wine cellar. He came back up with a bottle of his best fire whiskey.

"Harry, you know I'm not old enough to drink."

"I won't tell if you don't. Come with me." Harry led her up to the spare room. Ginny stopped in the doorway and stared at the bed. "Oh, it's nothing like that, Ginny." He pushed the wall aside. "Are you coming or not?" Ginny climbed through the passage behind him.

"Where are we?"

"It's our secret room, remember? Somewhere only we know?"

"Doesn't ring a bell, sorry." She wandered around the room, looking at the pictures. "What's all this?"

"Those are all photographs of us and our family and friends, and Quidditch posters. Most of them are yours."

"What happened to your nose?" Ginny took a picture of Harry with a swollen nose off the wall.

"That was after our first kiss. Ron punched me, and you thought it would be fun to have a picture of me like that to remember that day."

"First kiss? When was that?"

"July. A week or so before my birthday."

"Harry?"

"Yeah?"

"Do you love me?"

"Of course I do."

"And, do I love you?"

"I, uh, well-"

"I mean, did I ever say that to you?"

"All the time."

"I thought so."

"Why do you ask?"

"How else am I going to remember everything?" She sat on the couch. "Tell me everything, Harry."

"Everything?"

"Everything about us, how we met, when we met, everything."

"Okay." Harry sat beside her and told her everything, meeting at the burrow before second year, the Chamber of Secrets incident, falling in love with her, Neville's death, their relationship, everything up until the accident.

"Was it good?"

"Was what good?"

"The sex."

"Excuse me?" Harry stared at her.

"Well, you said that after Neville died, we slept together. Was it good?"

"I didn't mean that. We slept in the same bed, that's it."

"So, you never tried anything?"

"Ginny, I'm going to tell you what I told you many times before. You're welcome in my bed anytime, no questions asked, but I'm not going to do anything to pressure you." Harry passed her a glass of wine.

"You sound so dull. Did we ever have any fun?"

"I am not dull! And of course we had fun."

"Oh, really? And what did we do that was so fun?"

"Snog." Ginny raised her eyebrows. "Hey, you enjoyed it."

"Prove it."

"Alright," Harry sighed. He leaned forward on the couch and kissed her passionately. It didn't take long for them to become horizontal. Ginny let out a soft moan that sent shivers down his back. "I told you so."

**

Ginny stared at the ceiling of her bedroom. How she got there, she didn't know, but the bed sure was comfortable. She noticed the note Harry had left on the pillow.

I have to show you something. Come to my room when you wake up.

Where is his room, she thought. She put her feet on the floor and shivered. She dressed and wandered around upstairs, looking for Harry.

"I was wondering when you'd get up." Harry held out a mug of hot chocolate.

"Thanks. So, what do you have to show me?"

"This." He indicated the room. "Go through everything if you have to. There are a lot of memories in here."

"I don't think I have to…"

"What?"

"I have an idea." Ginny handed Harry her mug and kissed him. She could smell him, a mix of clean laundry and Quidditch leather. It was a scent that could only be described as Harry. "Wow," She said breathlessly, "I honestly didn't think that would work."

"Did it?"

Ginny thought for a moment. "I think so."

"What do you remember?" Harry asked eagerly.

"I'm not really sure… The only way I can think to explain it is you. I remember you. I guess it isn't really fair to say I remember everything you told me last night, but I remember how it felt. And, just so you know, you left out a lot of details about the summer."

Harry spun her around and kissed her. "Do me a favour, don't tell Dumbledore yet. I like being here with you."

"Me, too. He probably already knows."

"Yeah… but I haven't had a date with my girlfriend in weeks. We'll just go back tomorrow. It's a Hogsmeade weekend, anyway."

"So, what do we do today?"

"We could go to Diagon Alley, then do some shopping in Muggle London," Harry suggested, wrapping his arms around Ginny's waist. "Or, we could stay in."

"They're both so tempting." She kissed Harry and said, "I vote for shopping."

"I knew you would."

**

Their first stop, after Gringotts, was Weasley Wizarding Wheezes. Fred and George were arguing with Percy over a display in the front window when Harry and Ginny walked in.

"Cutting class, are we?" Fred said.

"No," Ginny said, "Dumbledore gave us a couple days off so Harry could help me remember everything."

"What a gentleman," George said sarcastically.

"Well, he is a Gryffindor, they are supposed to be chivalrous."

"Yeah, but at 17 when they're more preoccupied with anatomy than anything else?"

"Oh, shut up." Harry smiled. "Besides, it's me you should worry about. She couldn’t' keep her hands off me."

"That's not true!" Ginny said, turning red.

"Yes it is."

"Take that back, Harry James Potter!"

"Or what?"

"I can tell them and all their customers some pretty nasty secrets about you."

"Like what?"

"Like that one time last summer when you-" Harry put his hand over Ginny's mouth, afraid she had come up with something truly embarrassing.

"When you what, Harry?"

"Nothing, nothing." He pulled a laughing Ginny out of the store. "What were going to tell them?"

"Oh, nothing you don't already know. Let's go to the Leaky Cauldron, it's freezing out here."

Harry held the door open for Ginny and they sat at the table nearest the fire. Unfortunately, that wasn't too near, as witches and wizards were falling out of it every five minutes. They drank butter beers and talked about everything from school to Quidditch to the weather.

"I can't wait to get back on the pitch," Ginny said dreamily, watching the flames dance.

"Are you kidding? Ginny, you can't play anymore. You'd just be putting yourself in more danger."

"Harry, leave your feelings for me out of it. Am I a good Chaser?"

"One of the best."

"Then why can't I play? I've been hurt before, and I always pulled through."

"I'd be risking the life of one of the best Quidditch players Hogwarts has ever seen! It has nothing to do with how I feel about you."

"I'm playing in the next match. That's final."

"No you are not, Ginevra. I'm the captain and I get the last word." Ginny stared at him, shocked. Harry had never used her full name, she wasn't even sure if he knew it.

"Fine. I won't play in the next match, but if you don't find another Chaser by next Saturday, you'll have to forfeit. And Slytherin would win by default. Do you really want Malfoy strutting around, proud as a peacock all year because he finally beat you?"

"Ginny, don't be angry with me," Harry said calmly. "As your captain, I can't allow you to play, and, I hate to say this, but Madam Pomfrey will probably back me up. You know what a hard time she gave Ron last year because of those brain things." Ginny shrugged in agreement. "And, as your boyfriend, I don't want to see you get hurt again."

She opened her mouth to speak, but Harry continued with his speech. "I would love to have you back on the team, and you will be, I promise, just not right away, okay?"

"I guess."

"Still want to go into Muggle London?"

"Of course." They finished their drinks and left the bar. "Is it warmer out here?" Ginny asked as they emerged on to the street, right in the middle of a market. They spent their afternoon walking in and out of stores, sometimes buying nothing, sometimes spending a hundred pounds.

When they returned to number 12, Grimmauld place, laughing and smiling, Dobby had supper laid out in the dining room because "master and his Wheezy is going back to Hogwarts in the morning."

"Thanks Dobby." Harry pulled out a chair for Ginny. "Wine?"

"No thanks. Ah, I think my cheeks have fallen off," she said, rubbing her frozen face.

"I can't feel my toes," Harry said, pouring himself a glass of wine. "Which means we've had a fairly successful day."

"Successful? How am I supposed to explain to my mother how I could afford all that stuff you bought me?"

"Just tell her your boyfriend spoils you rotten."


**

Harry and Ginny spent the evening in the library, snogging like there was no tomorrow. It was their favourite pastime and a perfect cure for boredom. The clock chimed midnight.

"I guess we should go to bed," Ginny said sadly.

"Yeah, we probably should…" Harry ran his hands through her hair and continued to kiss her. "Or not…" they continued making out until their lips were numb. "Maybe we should get some sleep, after all, we do have to go back to school in the morning." He walked Ginny to her room and kissed her goodnight. "See you at breakfast."

Harry continued up the stairs to his room. He shut the door quietly, muttered "Silencio" and started yelling at himself for his own stupidity. Ginny wouldn't have stopped him, and he certainly wouldn't have stopped her.

"You shouldn't bottle up your anger like that," the mirror said.

"SHUT UP!" Harry screamed, throwing his shoe and breaking the mirror. He took a deep breath and fell back onto his bed.

"Er, Harry?" Ginny opened the door. "Are you okay?"

"What? Oh, uh, yeah. Smart ass mirror…"

"I know, aren't they annoying? The one in my room kept telling me I was stupid."

"That one tells me to- well…" he trailed off, not really wanting to repeat what the mirror had said to him that morning. "What's up?"

"Nothing, I just couldn't sleep." Her face turned red at the obvious lie. "Mind if I sleep here tonight?"

"No, not at all." Of course you don't mind, a voice in his head told him, she'll be right there, not two inches from you, and you're not going to be able to control yourself- you love this. He watched as Ginny climbed into his bed. After a second's hesitation, he got into bed with her and turned out the lights. As usual, Ginny nestled herself into Harry's chest and Harry wrapped his arms around her. He closed his eyes, trying to force himself to sleep, but Ginny was tracing his muscles with her index finger. It was no use.

Harry slid down on the pillows and kissed her as passionately as he could. To be honest, he wasn't exactly capable of thinking. Ginny pulled Harry on top of her and ripped off his t-shirt. They were undressing each other as fast as they could. Harry cursed his satin sheets- they were too slippery for this.


**

"Good morning," Ginny said, smiling from ear to ear. She was wearing a very short, blue silk bathrobe, and nothing else.

"Morning." Harry was wearing his traditional flannel tartan pants and no shirt. "Did you sleep well?"

"Very well indeed." She helped herself to bacon and eggs. "Do we have to go back to Hogwarts today?"

"Unfortunately," Harry said. He had never been as happy as he was last night, and now, after two days, they had to rejoin civilization. "I wish we could just stay here, you know, and not tell anyone where we were. And we both know that's not going to happen." He grimaced and finished his breakfast.

They Flooed back to Dumbledore's office with just enough time to get down to the Great Hall to leave with everyone.

"Harry! Ginny!" Hermione squealed, hugging them both. "I didn't expect you back so soon! How'd you get your memory back? Was it-"

"Hermione, let them breathe," Ron said. "Good to have you back, mate." He clapped Harry on the back.

"Tell me," Hermione continued, "how'd you get your memory back?"

"I kissed Harry."

"That's it? You kissed Harry and you remembered everything?" Ron said doubtfully. "Was that what really happened?" He asked Harry, evidently thinking it took a little more than a kiss.

"Yes."

"Honestly, Ron, why would I lie about that?" She grabbed Hermione's arm and walked off with her.

"I think we've got a problem," Harry said with a sigh.

"Oh?"

"Ginny's not ready to get back on the pitch. We need a new Chaser."

"Oh," Ron repeated, relieved. They passed through the gates of the castle.

"Any ideas?"

"Do you still have the notes on the students who tried out?"

"Ginny has them. I'll go over them tonight. We need to start training our new player as soon as possible, we've got that match against Slytherin next week."

"Don't worry about Slytherin. McGonnagall's got the pitch booked four nights next week."

"I like her more and more every year," Harry said.

"You know, I really am glad you're back. Everybody's changing around here. Hermione has given up on SPEW, finally, and she hasn't read Hogwarts: A History since the summer. Snape's gone mental, not that he wasn't before, but he's crazier."

"I was only gone two days. What happened?"

"Potion gone wrong, Lavender says. I say it was something Fred and George invented that expired."

"This could be fun."

"Fun? Are you crazy? Hermione's not herself, Harry. Crookshanks doesn't even like her."

"Can we just worry about one thing at a time? Focus on Quidditch, will you."

"You and your one-track mind. All you think about is Quidditch."

"That's a laugh," Harry muttered to himself. Up ahead, Ginny and Hermione turned and waved.

A/N:See? All's good in the Potterverse. *sings* Harry and Ginny sitting in a tree...
Your Eyes Open by Byn
Chapter 6- Your Eyes Open


Harry, Ron and Ginny were going over the notes for the Chasers. Ron wasn't much help, he just stared at Hermione who was talking to a bubbly blonde on the other side of the common room.

"How about Castillo?" Harry said. Ginny glared at him. "What? You're not jealous are you?"

"Why would I be jealous? She's just nice, funny, and drop dead gorgeous."

"Not to mention a total airhead. Do you have any idea how boring she was compared to you?"

"If she was so boring how come you went with her for six months? And slept with her?"

"Can we not talk about this now? We need a Chaser. From what I've seen, Castillo's our best choice."

"Fine."

"You're mad."

"Yeah, because you're right." Ginny sighed. "She is the best-"

"Next to you," Harry added, trying to save some face.

"I just wish we had some other choice, like…"

"Like you?"

"Yes."

"Me, too."

Hermione had disappeared upstairs, so Ron had no other choice but to pay attention to Harry and Ginny. "So, what are our choices?"

"We've already picked someone," Harry said, clearing away their notes.

"Who?"

"Anna Castillo."

**

Harry paced the change room. Having Anna on the team shouldn't be that much of a problem, should it? Sure, she was pretty, but that was it. She hadn't even spoken to Harry since they broke up, unless it was absolutely necessary.

"Nervous?" Castillo was standing very, very close to Harry.

"Anna!" Harry jumped. "What are you doing here?"

"We've got practice, haven't we?"

"Right, practice." His hands were shaking.

"Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm fine. It's… it's the game. We haven't played without Ginny for years…" Great, insult her right out of the gate, he thought.

"Hi Harry." Ginny bounced in and gave Harry a great big kiss.

"Hey. Come to watch?"

"You bet." She glared at Castillo.

"Harry! Get your arse out here!" Ron called from the pitch. "Practice was supposed to start twenty minutes ago!"

Harry and Ginny walked out onto the pitch, hand in hand, followed by a slightly disgruntled Castillo. "Keep your eyes open," she whispered to him, "she still wants you."

**

From the first goal of the game, Castillo shadowed Harry. Harry went up, Castillo went up. Harry went down, Castillo went down. Gryffindor was loosing, 60-10.

"Get your head in the game, Castillo!" Harry called behind him. For a brief second, he thought she had listened. Castillo dove towards a Slytherin Chaser and followed him for about thirty seconds, then swooped back up to Harry. This was the only game he was thankful the school brooms were outdated, he was able to speed off, fast enough to strip the varnish from any broomstick, and did a series of complicated dives and turns. The rather pleasant side effect, Malfoy thought he had seen the Snitch and followed him.

In the stands, Hermione's eyes were darting all over the pitch, trying to figure out what Harry was doing. Ginny was complaining about Castillo, the girl who was supposed to be as good a Chaser as herself, the one who was tailing her boyfriend instead of scoring points.

"Harry better find that Snitch. She's not doing anything to help, she's just slowing him down. If there's one thing Harry doesn't need, it's an idiot like her slowing him down on the pitch."

"He's got it! Harry caught the Snitch!" Hermione squealed.

"It's not like they would have won any other way, especially with that bimbo on the team." Ginny crossed her arms and leaned back in her seat. Today was not going well for her. First, she wasn't playing in the most anticipated game of the year, and second, her replacement was after her man. She didn't join in the cheering.

Down on the pitch, Harry threw the Snitch back to Madam Hooch and marched up to Castillo. "What the bloody hell was that? When I tell you to get your head in the game, you better bloody well do it! You play your position, Castillo! That's it, nothing else!" He was out of breath from flying so hard and trying to control his temper. He spotted Ginny sitting in the front row. "Ginny! Get down here! I don't give a damn about what Madam Pomfrey says! You're back on the team! Castillo, get out of my sight!"

"That was a little harsh, don't you think, Harry?" Ron asked.

"I have no tolerance for that sort of playing. You give it your all or you're off the team." Harry didn't care anyway, he was too mad to feel guilty.

"We've all had bad days, mate-"

"But we all stayed focused on the game." Ever since Harry's first game, he knew that no matter how bad your day was, how angry you were, or how nervous, you left your troubles in the change room. There wasn't room for distraction on the pitch. Once he became captain, he drilled this philosophy into the team's skulls.

"We should celebrate!" Dennis said, raising his bat in the air.

"Celebrate what?" Harry barked. The Creeveys, talented Beaters or not, were not Harry's favourite people.

"Ginny's return, and our victory," Collin said, clapping Ginny on the back.

"Party in the Common Room!" Dennis called over the crowd.

"I don't think so. Anna will be there and didn't Harry just say he never wanted to see her again?"

"How about the Room of Requirement? Invitation only?" Marty suggested.

**

Everyone was enjoying themselves at the party. About fifty students crowded into the Room of Requirement, most from Gryffindor, some from Ravenclaw, and some from Hufflepuff. The Gryffindor team was huddled together, laughing and dancing. Harry sat on the other side of the room, watching them. They had just won their second game in a row against Slytherin and he wasn't happy about it. That's twice he had been able to gloat about it in front of Malfoy, and this time, since no one had been hurt, he could describe the spectacular plays of the rest of the team and how pathetic the Slytherins were.

"Harry? What's wrong?" Hermione had separated herself from Parvati, Padma, and Lavender and joined Harry in the corner.

"I don't know," Harry said truthfully. "Maybe I was a little harsh on Castillo."

"Maybe," Hermione agreed. Harry glared at her. "But, there isn't room for that sort of playing on the Gryffindor team," she added, "and Anna knew that. But, even you have had your bad days."

"I didn't play like that!" He said indignantly. "I still caught the snitch and we won."

"I know, Harry, but maybe you should lighten up a bit. This is our last year and we should be having fun, not hell-bent on winning or grades."

"Hermione, are you okay?" Harry asked. Now that he thought of it, Hermione had been acting a little odd, for her anyway.

"I'm perfectly fine. Why do you ask?"

"Well, Ron's worried about you. He thinks you're acting differently and Ginny and I have noticed it, too."

"There's no reason to worry about me, Harry. We're adults now and we can take care of ourselves," she said pleasantly.

"You're avoiding the issue, Hermione. Something's changed about you."

"I've just relaxed, Harry. I've decided that I shouldn't do all that extra credit work because it takes away from my time with my friends, plus, it's not like I need those marks. Like I said, this year should be fun. I don't want to burn myself out before NEWTs."

"You haven't eaten anything that looks as though Fred and George invented it in the '80s? Or any messed up potions?"

"No," she said with a laugh.

"As long as that's all there is to it."

"That's all, Harry, I promise."

"Will you tell Ron then? He's gone nutters about this."

"Oi! Hermione!" Ron yelled, looking all over the room for her. He was heads taller than anyone else.

"Over here!" She called back.

"Where are you?"

"With Harry!" She stood on her chair so he could see her.

"Come over here!"

"Coming!" She hopped off the chair and said to Harry, "cheer up. People are going to think you're mentally disturbed again, especially after today." She made her way across the room to Ron and the rest of the team. Bored and tired, Harry decided he would go to bed.

There was only one person in the common room, Anna Castillo, and she was crying. Harry felt a pang of guilt. "Anna?"

"No, don't worry Harry, I'm leaving," she sniffed.

"Anna, wait. I'm sorry." He sat in the chair across from her. "I meant what I said, but I'm sorry for how I said it. I shouldn't have yelled at you."

"Yes you should have. You have every right to hate me."

"You always were a drama queen. Anna, when you play Quidditch on my team, you need to be serious about it. I know you're good, Ginny even says so, but you need to focus on the game, not the other players. And especially not the Seeker."

"Because I was replacing the Seeker's girlfriend."

"Not just that. I know you understand Quidditch. You know that the Beaters work together, and the Keeper and Chasers work together, but the Seeker can't be distracted by anything, not even Bludgers. That could lose the game."

"Why do you always lecture me?"

"I do not." He stopped himself from saying more, maybe it would be best to just agree with her right now. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to lecture you." Harry didn't want to spend any more time with Anna than he had to. He stood up and said, "Look, I'm really sorry I upset you, I'm sorry I yelled at you, I'm sorry I lectured you, but I did mean what I said. Goodnight."

**

All through Sunday, the sixth- and seventh-years sat in groups around the coffee tables and struggled to finish their homework due the next day. Every so often, someone would pose a question to the whole common room and Hermione would give them a brief answer.

"What in hell is Polyjuice Potion?" A sixth-year asked.

"It's in Potent Potions in the library," Hermione said. She put down her quill and stole one of Ron's chocolate frogs.

"That's it? That's all you're going to say?" Harry asked.

"I can't very well do their work for them," She said, wrestling with Ron over the squirming chocolate.

"What about them?" Ginny asked, indicating Harry and Ron.

"Well, they were hopeless. I couldn't let them fail."

By supper, a good portion of the workload had been lifted and the mood in the common room lightened. Now, everyone was discussing their holiday plans.

The younger students were excited to get letters from their parents, apologizing for not being able to have them home for the holidays because they had to work.

"I don't mind, really," one girl said to Hermione. "Mum and Dad always work through the holidays. Christmas day was usually just me and my governess eating whatever we found in the refrigerator."

"At least you had a governess," a second-year boy told her. "All I had was a twitchy little house elf that was afraid of me. I had to spend Christmas with my aunt and uncle. Horrible people, each one of their kids are in Slytherin."

"Makes you glad to be an orphan," Harry said after Hermione told him these stories. "So, 'Mione, what are you doing for the holidays? Not reading, I hope?"

"No, I'm taking Ron home to meet my parents." She blushed a little. "They were so thrilled when I suggested it. They always thought I spent too much time on my schoolwork and avoided a social life. How about you?"

"Ginny and I are staying at Grimmauld Place and inviting everyone for Christmas Day."

"Everyone?"

"Yeah. You, your parents, the Weasleys, the Order, Dean, Seamus, all of our friends, everyone but Snape. Even Neville's grandmother if she wants to come."

**

Christmas break couldn't come soon enough. Friday night, when they should have been packing, the seventh-years and some sixth-years from all houses except Slytherin, took part in a massive snowball fight. Colin's aim was so horrible, he hit a second year building a snowman.

"And he's your star Beater?" Ernie Macmillan laughed. Harry picked up the nearest snowball and, though Ernie was on the same team, threw it in his face. The Gryffindors who had already been ousted cheered.

Not surprisingly, Harry and Ron were the only two left. They were the captains of each team. Judging by their attacks, Harry could probably play Quidditch without a broom and Ron would have made a fair Beater. After hitting Ron square in the jaw with a giant snowball, Harry was victorious. His team mates who had remained outside in the bitter cold to see the outcome, cheered their fearless leader. Hermione (who had been on Harry's team) consoled Ron.

Harry was kissing Ginny when Ron picked up a giant snowball, left over from the second-years' snowman, and dropped it on their heads before running inside.

Ginny smiled. Harry looked so cute like that. He had snow piled on his head, his glasses were slightly fogged, his cheeks rosy pink with matching lips. His eyes were sparkling like she had never seen. He really was as drool worthy as Teen Witch made him out to be.

Harry dusted the snow off Ginny's head. He couldn't remember when she looked so irresistible. the melted snow in her hair twinkled in the moonlight, her cheeks were flushed, and her lips slightly purple from the cold. She was shivering. "Ginny-"

"Sh," she said, tilting her head up to kiss him. It was like drinking a whole pitcher of butter beer in one go. Harry's mouth was so inviting and warm, she felt like melted butter.

Harry felt his temperature rise, among other things, as Ginny pressed her body against his, kissing him gently. "Wow," he said when Ginny broke the kiss. She was grinning ear to ear, which Harry had learned meant she was taking great pleasure in torturing him like that and making him squirm. It was a talent that he, too, possessed. He could make Ginny squirm with a look, or a strategically placed kiss.

"We should go in before we freeze to death," Ginny suggested. Harry nodded slowly, trying to calm himself down.

Once inside, his glasses fogged up instantly. He took them off and placed them in his pocket.

"Wow, Harry, I've never seen you without your glasses," Ginny said breathlessly.

"Do I look that bad?" He said self-consciously.

"Just the opposite, you're incredibly sexy." Harry smiled. "God, you're too gorgeous for words," she groaned, causing Harry to smile wider. "Stop that. Now I won't be able to get to sleep tonight."

"Then don't. Meet me in the common room at one."

"That late?"

"By then, everyone will be in bed and Ron and Hermione will be back from their rounds. And I can be sure that Ron will be sound asleep by then."

"That's five hours from now. What am I supposed to do until then?"

"Pack?"

**

At five to one, Harry went down to the common room to make sure it was empty. He had to tiptoe across his room and be careful of the creaky door. Ron was snoring, but not loud enough that Harry could be sure he was dead to the world.

"Hermione? What are you doing down here?" Harry asked quietly.

"I couldn’t sleep."

"Would you mind not sleeping in your room? Ginny-" Hermione nodded and ran up the stairs, meeting Ginny coming down.

"Harry?" Harry jumped out of his seat and gave Ginny the most passionate kiss he could. "Hermione just-" Harry kissed her again. "What about- Ron?"

"Asleep."

"Good." After that, no words were spoken. They let their love and passion take over, they were incapable of thinking.

Somewhere around 4:30, Ginny had the good sense to suggest they go back to their rooms before they lost control.

Harry was relieved, to say the least, to find Ron still sound asleep, snoring as loud as ever, when he opened the door.

At 8:00, Harry woke to sun shining through the windows. He was surprised that he wasn't tired.

**

Ginny and Hermione were waiting at the bottom of the marble staircase outside the Great Hall. Judging by Hermione's expression, Ginny was recounting the events of last night. The both blushed when they saw Harry on the stairs.

"What's with them?" Ron asked.

"I don't know," Harry said.

"Good morning," Ginny sang, kissing Harry.

"Sleep well?"

"Very well, thank you." Her cheeks reddened even more, but her tone was pleasant and even. Ron eyed them suspiciously. Hermione noticed and kissed him good morning.

"Let's eat," Harry suggested.

The Great Hall was chaotic. Everyone was laughing and yelling, going from table to table to find their friends and talk about their plans for Christmas. Others were standing on the benches, trying to grab the floating decorations.

A large Barn owl dropped two magazines, one on Hermione's plate, and one on Ginny's, and flew off.

"Teen Witch? You're kidding!"

"You'd be surprised what you can learn from this magazine."

"Like what?" Ron asked doubtfully. Hermione whispered something in his ear. "You learned THAT from that magazine?" Turning red, he ran his fingers through his hair. "Blimey."

"Look, Harry, it's you again." Ginny showed him the cover. "I don't believe it, it's a special Harry Potter issue. Look at this: Ten Things you Never Knew About The Boy Who Lived; Quiz- Are you Harry's Type?; and exclusive photos of Harry at Hogwarts! What's so exclusive about them? Everyone who reads this magazine goes to Hogwarts and sees you every day."

"I'm intrigued," Harry said, taking the magazine from Ginny. He found the list of ten things no one knew about him.

Ten Things You Never Knew About Harry Potter
Everyone knows that Harry's middle name is "James" and that he was born July 31, 1980. But, how many people know what he's really like?


"I'd said about a thousand," Ginny said.

1. Harry's favourite colour: With his bright, emerald eyes, you would expect his favourite colour to be green. In fact, in true Gryffindor spirit, his favourite colour is actually red. That's good news for his girlfriend, fellow Gryffindor and Quidditch player, Ginny Weasley.

"That's not true. Your favourite colour's green, isn't it?" Ginny asked.
"That's what I thought," Harry said.

2. Harry's favourite band: Growing up in the Muggle word, our favourite hottie enjoys U2. Sexy Irish Muggle, Bono is an A-list musician definitely worthy of Harry's ears.

"Bono? What kind of name is that?"

"One that's synonymous with fame, sex appeal, and social justice," Hermione said. She had grown up listening to U2 records.

"I hardly ever listen to U2," Harry said. "I prefer John Lennon."

3. Harry's Love Life: We've searched far and wide to find Harry's past love interests. Rumours of a relationship with his good friend, Hermione Granger, were squashed back in '94 when Granger was seen repeatedly with Bulgarian Quidditch star, Viktor Krum. That same year, Harry attended the Yule Ball at Hogwarts with Parvati Patil, also of Gryffindor. In Harry's fifth year, he courted Cho Chang, who now plays for the Tornadoes. 1996 was the year of Anna Castillo. Now, in his seventh and final year of Hogwarts, Harry is in what appears a serious and long-term relationship with Ginny Weasley.

"I wonder who told them all that," Hermione looked around the Great Hall.

"It certainly wasn't Malfoy, he would have taken every opportunity to destroy me. It might not be accurate, but it's not far off," Harry admitted.

"What's number four?" Ginny asked.

4.Skeletons in the Closet: We all know the story of how Harry, only a baby, survived the attack of You-Know-Who. With his parents dead, and no other family than three miserable Muggles Harry was forced to live with, his childhood was not pleasant. Once at Hogwarts, Harry battled You-Know-Who and other Dark Wizards, such as Sirius Black.
In his second year at Hogwarts, Harry, believed to be the Heir to Slytherin, saved the life of a fellow student while causing the destruction of Gilderoy Lockhart's memory. Lockhart has been in St Mungo's ever since.


"Where'd they dig that up?" Harry stared at the magazine. "And it wasn't my fault he lost his memory, that was you," he said to Ron. "I can't read anymore, this is just too ridiculous." He handed the magazine back to Ginny, who continued reading.

5. Even More Skeletons: There have been several single mothers, young and old, claiming that Harry is the father of their child. Many of the cases are outrageously false, for example: Marjorie Kendall, 72, claims that her son, now 50 and a father of four, was the child of our deliciously handsome heartthrob. However, a more realistic case has recently been unearthed. A recent Hogwarts graduate, who wishes to remain anonymous, has recently given birth to a boy with black hair and green eyes. Her fiancé was so furious, he threatened to leave her and the baby without a Knut if she didn't stop telling these lies. The mother rescinded her tale and is now happily married.

"Why, Harry, I had no idea."

"'Deliciously handsome'?" Harry said in disbelief. "These people are crazy!"

"They're girls," Ron said. Ginny and Hermione threw hot cross buns at his head.

"What's the rest?"

"I don't think you want to know."

"Tell me," Harry said, trying to grab the magazine.

"No!" Ginny squealed, keeping it out of reach. Harry gave up the struggle when he made eye contact with a Hufflepuff girl, who blushed and giggled, turning away to whisper excitedly to her friend.

"That was strange." He noticed the girls were reading Teen Witch, like almost every girl in the school, even some of the Slytherins.

"They're just being silly," Hermione said.

"You're blushing," Harry pointed out.

"Well, er… it's quite warm in here, don't you think, Ginny?" Ginny shrugged. "We'll wait for you in the Entrance Hall," she said, pulling Ginny out of the Great Hall, taking both copies of the magazine with them.

"Now, that was strange."

**

"What was that all about?" Ginny hissed.

"Well, I couldn't think of anything else," Hermione said lamely. "You know I can't lie on the spot."

"You're not embarrassed, are you? Because it isn't true."

"I didn't think it was," she said defensively.

"Then how come you got all hot and bothered?"

"Can we just forget about it? Please?"

"Alright, alright. But, #7 is true." Hermione turned scarlet.

"What's #7?" Harry asked, making both girls jump.

"Nothing important."

"If we go now, we'd have time for a couple of butter beers in the Three Broomsticks," Ron said gruffly, changing the subject. Knowing that his girlfriend was attracted to his best friend was not helping his holiday spirit.

They walked behind the floating trolleys loaded with trunks that Hagrid was guiding into the village. The wind was starting to pick up just as they entered the pub. Madam Rosemerta was nailing a cluster of mistletoe to one of the beams.

"Happy Christmas, Rosemerta," Harry said cheerfully, rubbing Ginny's hands between his over the fire.

"Happy Christmas, dear," she said blushing.

"Good Lord, they've all gone mental!" Ron said, picking up a copy of Teen Witch.

"You're not reading that rubbish, are you Rosemerta?" Hermione asked, as if it were totally absurd for anyone to even consider reading such a silly magazine.

"Of course not! A student must have left it here on the last visit."

"That was three weeks ago, this is from today."

"Did you come here to grill me or to drink?"

**

A/N: Don't ask me what #7 is, I don't know, but if you have some suggestions, suggest them so this article coudl possibly resurface. And why is Harry a John Lennon fan? Simple, the same reason Hermione is a U2 fan: I am!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=29780