Last Peaceful Days by Ravensgryff
Past Featured StorySummary: Set in the summer immediately following HBP. This is a sequel to Before It’s Too Late. It’s the day before the big wedding. Ron and Hermione take advantage of some alone time before Harry joins them at the Burrow. Mrs. Weasley and Ginny have a heart to heart talk about Harry and a bit about the first war. HBP Spoilers.
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 3 Completed: Yes Word count: 6824 Read: 11126 Published: 08/10/05 Updated: 12/12/05

1. Tender Moments by Ravensgryff

2. Nighttime Surprises by Ravensgryff

3. Gateway to the Next Stage by Ravensgryff

Tender Moments by Ravensgryff
*I certainly was not brilliant enough to create any of these characters or the universe they live in “ that credit all goes to J.K. Rowling. I merely like to visit her world and play in it.


On Harry’s birthday, Ron and Hermione lay snuggled together on his bed. They’d been entangled with each other for over an hour now. Occasionally he would be moved by the urge to taste her lips, but for the most part they just lay there together. Ron loved the feel of her fingers moving across his face, butterfly soft, as she traced her finger over the bridge of his nose, down his cheeks, across his forehead. It was as if she wanted to memorize the exact shape, tone and position of each one of the freckles of Ron’s face.

He could get lost in the smell of her hair in his nostrils. It was like a special mix of vanilla and honey that he’d never known anywhere else. His hand slid upward from her petite waist and curved outward as it lazily traveled up her back, over her shoulder and into her lovely and uncontrollable mane. Moving back downward, he pulled her even closer. He felt her shift deeper into his embrace and she rested her hand on his chest. He would be her safe haven, he vowed to himself.

Ron was glad that they had this last bit of time together before Harry’s arrival when their attentions would have to turn outward, away from each other, toward the tasks ahead.




Mrs. Weasley was preparing Bill and Fleur’s wedding banquet for the following day when Ginny entered the room. She had been in her room for most of the day. She wordlessly began to help her mother with the preparations.

When she and Ron returned to the Burrow, Ginny had kept mostly to herself. Then, when Hermione arrived, and she and Ron became so wrapped up in each other that they’d seemed to merge into a single organism, Ginny retreated even more. Mrs. Weasley glanced up at her only daughter trying to keep her face neutral. “Are those two still up there?” Ginny only nodded briefly, never lifting her eyes to her mother’s. Mrs. Weasley had heard about Harry and Ginny’s breakup from Ron when they’d gotten home. Hermione had provided only slightly more details.

At the moment, the Burrow was the quietest it had been in ages, what with the twins being gone and the remaining occupants being “engaged.” Mrs. Weasley was aware of Ron and Hermione’s new status and their decisions to join Harry. She meant to let them have whatever time together that they could “ Merlin only knew what they would be facing. Anyway, she was sure that they both respected her enough to keep their behavior reasonably proper. If they didn’t, well, some strategically placed enchantments, recently put on Ron’s and Ginny’s bedrooms would provide the appropriate reminders if they forgot themselves.

She’d been torn between her fiercely protective nature toward her own children and the love that she’d developed toward the young man who had become another son to her. Since she knew that Ron, now an adult, would follow Harry whether she wanted him to or not, it was a moot point. Ginny, however, was quite a different story.

She considered Ginny more carefully. As much as Mrs. Weasley loved Harry Potter, Ginny was her baby. She wanted to think that the breakup was for the best and that he was doing the right thing by trying to protect Ginny, but the sadness in her daughter’s eyes were more than enough of an argument to the contrary. And, was Ginny really any safer at Hogwarts, if it even reopened and which they now knew could be breached? No one was really safe anywhere. Even if they weren’t physically together, Mrs. Weasley knew that Harry still loved Ginny, of that she was sure. Call it a mother’s intuition. He couldn’t hide it from Ginny’s family, so Voldemort would easily pick up on those feelings. Harry’s reputation as an Occlumens was poor to put it mildly. Yet, knowing what she did, Mrs. Weasley also knew that they had to figure it out for themselves. However, a little nudge in the right direction never hurt anyone, did it?

She cleared her throat. “Ginny, dear, have you decided how you’ll wear your hair tomorrow?”

“No. I guess whatever Phlegm “ I mean Fleur “ wants,” she replied listlessly without looking up from the tiny sandwiches she was assembling.

“Yes, well, I think a nice up-do would be lovely with your dress. Very elegant.”

“Oh, really Mum, who cares anyway? Fleur is the one who has to look nice, not me.”

Mrs. Weasley paused before answering, deciding if she should speak her mind, but then again, when had she ever held her tongue when it came to her own children?

“Well dear, I would think you’d want to look nice for … Harry.”

Ginny stiffened. “Harry’s made it very clear that we can’t be together,” she dropped a small square of cheese from her hands, “so why bother? Why torture either one of us? Anyway, he hasn’t even written to me once. I guess he’s determined to forget about me.” She sighed heavily, picking up a package of crackers.

Moving to stand directly in front of her, Mrs. Weasley grasped Ginny’s face in both of her hands and peered into her eyes. “Ginevra Weasley,” she said gently, “I’ve never known you to be a quitter or a fool. Do you honestly think that given the choice he wouldn’t stay with you? Do you really believe he won’t come back for you as soon as humanly possible? Ginny, he has to do this, no one wants it, but it has to be this way. The question is, would you rather him leave with unpleasant memories of sadness and anger or with beautiful ones of what he has to make it for?”

“Humph, and who says I’ll be waiting?”

Mrs. Weasley just raised an eyebrow as Ginny’s features deflated.

“What if he doesn’t come back? I don’t know if I could bear it if …” she didn’t finish the sentence.

Mrs. Weasley heaved a deep sigh. “All I know, Ginny, is that if it were me, I’d want to give your father a darned good reason to fight his way back to me.”

Ginny took a step back and resumed her work. “Mum, what would you say if I wanted to go with him and he agreed?”

Mrs. Weasley moved over to the stove and started waving her wand slowly over a pot. She took a long time to answer then spoke up. “I remember when You-Know-Who was rising to power the first time. People were doing all sorts of rash and crazy things: running off to get married, leaving the country to hide until it was all over, other things. But, some people chose to stand up and fight even though it meant almost certain death...

Molly was in the sitting room, knitting, and the children peacefully asleep upstairs, when Arthur entered the house.

“Molly,” he said, “there’s been a report…”

“What is it, Arthur, dear?” She looked up from her crafting to find her husband wringing his hat in his hands, eyes cast down toward the floor. “Arthur?”

He finally looked up at her, his face wounded, “Molly, it’s Fabian and Gideon. A report came in at the Ministry. They’ve been…killed. Witnesses said five Death Eaters…”

Dropping her yarn and needles, her hands flew to her mouth, stifling a scream as she crumpled out of the chair and landed in a heap on the floor.


“So, once I lost my brothers…I’ve tried my hardest to keep all you children from getting involved, but with a family full of Gryffindors, it hasn’t been easy. You are all so brave, each in your own way, even Percy misguided as he is, and now almost all of you are involved in the Order, taking part in the fight. I’m terrified for you all, but I’m also so very proud of you as well…” She paused, misty-eyed, still remembering how she and Arthur had argued after they’d left the school the night of Dumbledore’s death. “So, in answer to your question, I’d absolutely forbid you to go and I’d insist that you finish school and let Harry do what he needs to. That being said, if you both decide that you should join him, I’m fairly certain that I won’t be able to stop you. You’re my daughter after all. Your father and I have been discussing the possibility since you and Ron came home. Actually there’s been a bit of shouting involved. Anyway, I won’t have you running off and leaving on bad terms. Not like…so I’ll support you whatever your decision is. I’ll put as many protective enchantments as I can around the lot of you, certainly some chastity charms, and…”

Ginny eagerly interrupted, “Mum, will you help me with my hair tomorrow?”

Mrs. Weasley smiled. “Yes, dear.”
Nighttime Surprises by Ravensgryff
*Disclaimer: These guys all belong to JKR.

At around half past eight on the last evening of July there was a loud CRACK outside the front door of the Burrow. The house was dark inside, hopefully shielding a stealthy Mrs. Weasley from sight. Peeking out the window in order to signal the other inhabitants of the house, she saw Harry take a moment to shake his limbs and pat himself down. Apparently he wanted to check that he hadn’t left anything behind. He started to raise his fist to knock then hesitated, a worried look dawning on his face. Oh dear, thought Mrs. Weasley, maybe he wasn’t quite ready for this. Harry raised his hand again, drew his wand and then moved to knock. The door creaked open to darkness.

Before his eyes could adjust, a burst of fireworks was set off in front of Harry along with various shouts of “surprise!” Mrs. Weasley watched with a satisfied grin as he was drawn into the room with arms hugging him and hands clapping him on the back. He completely deserved to be showered with the love he’d been denied in his early years. Several voices wished him “Happy Birthday, Harry!” and asked, “So how does it feel to be a man?” He moved into the noisy room, offering assorted thanks and greetings. Then a body directly in front of him stopped him short, a pair of hands grasped the back of his neck and two lips pressed firmly against his. “Happy Birthday, Harry.” He just gaped after the slyly smirking Ginny who was now sashaying to the other side of the room.

Mrs. Weasley broke the stunned silence, inwardly chuckling at her daughter’s bravado, thinking, I guess she’s decided to follow my advice. “Well, come in, dear! You seem to have lost some weight. Have a bite to eat…” She bustled Harry over to the table and Harry’s seventeenth birthday party commenced.




About an hour later, after everyone had gorged themselves on Mrs. Weasley’s delicious fare, Ginny sat at the table pretending to listen to her father and Tonks going on about some Muggle restaurant called McDougal’s or something silly like that. She was really listening to Harry, Ron and Hermione who were all sitting together in front of the fireplace chatting companionably.

“So, Harry, sounds like you passed your test,” Ron said, his arm draped loosely around Hermione’s shoulders as she lounged against him.

“Yeah, mate, and I think you’d better take yours again as soon as possible. It’s not fun, but it definitely beats taking the Knight Bus!” They laughed.

The evening progressed and people started to gravitate upstairs wanting to be properly rested for the big day ahead. Ron, Hermione and Harry were the only ones left in the sitting room. Ginny hadn’t moved from her spot and had yet to be noticed by the other three.

“So, have you given any thought to where we’ll begin looking for the Horcruxes?” Hermione whispered stifling a yawn. She and Ron hadn’t left each other’s sides for a moment, Ginny noticed wistfully.

“Well, yeah. I guess we’ll get Ron to pass his test, after all, we don’t want the Ministry popping around every time we Apparate. I mean you can always just hold onto one of us, Hermione obviously won’t mind, but I reckon that if we get separated and you need an escape…Anyway, we’ll be in the Muggle world for a bit. I’ve gotten some maps and I know how to get us to Godric’s Hollow. We’ll see what we learn there and then I suppose our next step will be Grimmauld Place.”

“Sounds like a great plan, Harry, but maybe if you’re expecting that kind of trouble so soon, Ron shouldn’t take his test. You might just want a bit of Ministry intervention,” Ginny interrupted from behind him. Hermione and Ron glanced at each other then quickly muttered goodnights and repeated birthday wishes. They hastily retreated upstairs. This was the moment that Ginny had simultaneously longed for and dreaded. Harry wouldn’t even look at her and her last remaining bits of hope started to shrivel away. However, she wasn’t going to give up so easily.

Ginny knew, even if Harry didn’t yet, that he was going to need as much help as possible. How could he think that she would just walk away from him after everything they had been through together? Hadn’t she fought in the Department of Mysteries and most recently in the attack on Hogwarts? She had to make him understand that he was worth any risk to her and that she’d outgrown the shy, timid little girl that sent him the awful Valentine five years ago.

“Ginny, listen…” his voice interrupted her inner dialogue.

“Wait, Harry. I think you should listen,” she moved around the side of the sofa and sat next to him, gazing at him intently. “You’ve had your say and you disappeared so fast after the funeral, I never got a chance to respond.” Ginny paused collecting her thoughts.

“All right, go on then,” he finally replied.

“Harry, please, look at me.”

He did, signs of some great internal struggle flitting across his face. Why does everything have to be so difficult for him, she thought bitterly.

“I understand what you’re trying to do,” she continued, “but I just need to know…over these past weeks can you look me in the eyes and say you don’t care for me anymore? That you haven’t thought about me? That you haven’t missed me?”

Now that he was looking at her his eyes locked into her piercing gaze.

He sighed, “No, Ginny, I can’t say any of those things. The truth is that I’ve thought about you quite a lot. Tried not to, but didn’t really have much luck with that. And… I have missed you.”

A sense of triumph swelled in her heart as hope rekindled and flourished once again. “I’ve missed you, too, Harry.” She reached out to take his hand in hers. “Thank you for being honest.” She hesitated again. “Harry, have you considered…”

“Ginny…” he interrupted with a small huff.

“Wait, please let me finish,” she continued, starting to feel the heat rising around the edges of her ears and in her cheeks. She struggled to remain composed. He shut his mouth reluctantly and nodded.

“As I was saying, have you considered that unless you are going to be able to completely erase me from your thoughts and from…from your heart…that I’m really not any safer away from you than with you? Do you think Voldemort cares if we’re technically dating or not? If he wants to use someone against you, can you truly say he won’t come after me again?”

His face sank into his hand, which slid over his forehead, and then through his raven colored hair.

“Yes, I have thought about it, Ginny. And I’m not thick enough to think that you’ll ever be out of my mind, or my heart. I love you, Ginny! Is that what you want to hear? There, I’ve said it, I love you.”

“I just want the truth,” she whispered.

“Well, there it is. But what would you have me do? I can’t watch you die! I just can’t! I’d die first, and then what will it all have been for? Don’t you get it?” He snatched his hand away from her, stood and crossed to the fireplace.

“I get it, Harry! But I also know that I can take care of myself. And, by the way, I’m in no great rush to see you die or hurt either! You’re willing to risk you’re best friends’ lives, one who happens to be my brother, they can stand beside you…”

“I can’t stop them! I would if I could!”

“Yeah? And what if you can’t stop me?”

“Your mum…”

“What if she can’t stop me either?” Ginny’s voice dropped to a menacing whisper. Harry turned to look at her again, his eyes imploring. The anger that had been rising in her immediately dissipated.

“Ginny, please…”

Her voice softened again, “Harry, listen, I know you love me. I love you, too and I don’t want this to be harder. But, please, just think about it. Maybe what you need the most are the people who love you the most. Professor Dumbledore always said that the greatest weapon to use against Voldemort was your love. He never said anything about a misguided sense of honor…”

“Hey, wait just a minute…”

She held up her hand signaling him to hush. “I’ll do whatever you ask. Just think about it. And know that if you ask me to stay behind, I’ll still be waiting for you to come back to me. Just, please reconsider. She walked over to stand in front of him.

Harry immediately opened his mouth, probably to say no, but instead simply nodded. “What if I don’t make it back?”

She gently clasped his face in her hands, hoping against hope that her mother’s advice would pay off. “I’ll just have to give you enough incentive.” She pulled him to her and slid her arms around his neck. He tried to resist, but was soon returning her kiss passionately.




Upstairs, Ron and Hermione had changed into pajamas and he met her back in Ginny’s room where he was tucking her in for the night. She looked adorable lying on her side propped up on one elbow. He closed his eyes and sighed as her other hand gently wound its way through his hair. They exchanged a last easy kiss for the night. When they finally separated, she smiled and said, “How do you think it’s going down there?”

Absently he replied, “Dunno, don’t care right now.” He’d felt very preoccupied with something for most of the evening.

“Ronald!” Hermione smiled in surprise.

“No, I mean… Hermione, I’ve been thinking about something all day and I want to ask you something.” He felt himself redden and could only stare at her hand on the bed.

“You can ask me anything, you know that.” She softly caressed his face and lifted it. He wanted to lose himself in her shining eyes.

“Well, I’ve been thinking that we have no way of knowing what’s ahead of us or if we’ll get through it alive, and I’m not changing my mind, I’d never turn my back on Harry, but…” he searched for words realizing that he was starting to ramble.

“Ron, it’s okay, go on,” Hermione urged sounding characteristically concerned.

“And, well, before we go off, I just want you to know what my…intentions…are. I love you, Hermione…”

“Oh, Ron. I know that. I love you, too.” He could see a glisten come into her eyes as tears started to play the edges of her lids.

“So, the thing is…like I said, I want to make my intentions clear, for a change, and not just to you, but to everyone we care about.”

“Ron, what exactly are you on about?”

He felt incredibly warm and stifled as if the room had suddenly closed in on him, but didn’t break eye contact. This was too important. He cleared his throat and raised himself from his seated position onto one knee. “What I’m saying is that, if I can help it, I don’t ever want to be apart from you again. Hermione Jane Granger, if we survive this war, will you please agree to marry me?”

Hermione’s eyes flew open. She pressed herself up to sit on her heels.

“Ron…are you…serious?”

Burning now, he straightened his spine and squared his shoulders trying to make himself a little taller, manlier. “I am. Hermione, I can’t offer you much, but if you’ll have me, I want to marry you. Maybe not today, or tomorrow obviously, not until we’ve finished what we have to do, and I know you’ll want to finish school, that is if we’re alive, but…”

She held her fingers over his lips. The long silence that followed was deafening and he felt like shrinking with each passing moment.



Gateway to the Next Stage by Ravensgryff
Ron lay on his bed in the dark room staring at the ceiling, his fingers interlaced behind his head. He couldn’t believe the turns that his life was taking. It seemed that only a matter of hours had passed since he’d been sitting at his Headmaster’s funeral and now…

His thoughts meandered back to the conversation he’d had with Hermione not long ago.

Hermione stared at him, eyes and mouth wide, speechless. Ron wanted to kick himself. How could you be so stupid, you git, he railed at himself? It was too soon; she wouldn’t be ready for this. What a fool he was. He moved to stand; his knee was starting to ache from supporting his weight.

“It’s alright, Hermione, I understand if…”

“Ron,” she said as if just realizing he were there, “would you…would you…please say that…again?”

“What? Er, I asked if you would marry me when all this stuff is over,” he mumbled.

“Oh, Ron! That’s the most beautiful thing you’ve ever said to me!”

Tears fell from her eyes and he shifted to the bed beside her, gently wiping them away. He felt slightly more encouraged, but she still hadn’t answered. “I didn’t mean to upset you, I just…”

“Oh, I’m not upset, you dolt,” she said impatiently swiping at the tears herself. “I’m just surprised…and so happy!” Her voice caught before she managed to continue. “I would be honored to spend the rest of my life with you. You are one of the bravest, truest and most selfless people I could ever hope to meet. We’ll get through whatever is ahead of us if we all stick together “ we have to believe that. But afterwards, I will have to finish school first,” she grinned. He seized her into a hearty hug.


He had replayed the scene at least a hundred times over the last hour since he’d left her bedside. Other random thoughts had appeared, periodically, but he kept returning to that lovely and scary moment. He hoped that they were doing the right thing. They were young, but who knew how long they had together? Anyway, his parents had married young and they had a wonderful relationship. And after six years of being friends, Ron certainly felt that there was a deep foundation to his and Hermione’s relationship, although he wouldn’t have been able to articulate that sentiment. He just knew that it felt right.

Harry entered the room, apparently thinking that Ron was asleep because he was tiptoeing around the end of his bed and didn’t attempt to turn the light on. “Nice chat with my sister then, Harry?”

Harry jumped several inches and immediately his hands went to the waistband of his jeans to grab his wand. “Ron! Don’t do that! You scared me.” He clutched the front of his shirt and sat motionless on the bed. Ron could hear his breath slowing, gradually.

“Sorry, Harry.” Ron reached over to the night table and picked up his wand. Then with a flick of his wrist, the room was dimly illuminated. No need for a bright light at this hour, why shock the eyes like that, he thought to himself. “So, is everything okay?” Harry’s head was hanging and he was fiddling with his fingers. He seemed like he didn’t really want to discuss this, so Ron said quickly, “Never mind, none of my business.”

Harry didn’t look up, but replied, “Nah, it’s not that. It’s just…I’m not quite sure what just happened. And I’m not sure you’ll really want to know.”

Ron drew his eyebrows together, not wishing to jump to conclusions. “What exactly does that mean?”

Harry glanced at him then and smiled, “nothing like that, mate. I meant that I thought everything was settled with Ginny and now…”

Ron exhaled deeply and his face relaxed. “She wants to go with you, then?”

“How did you know?” Harry asked looking up at Ron.

“She’s my sister, Harry. I know her pretty well. She doesn’t give up when she really wants something. So, what did you tell her?”

“Nothing yet. I don’t know what to do. What would you do?”

A soft whistling sound came from Ron’s mouth. He was sitting upright now, half covered by a sheet. He began twisting a small section of it absently. “That’s a really bad thing to ask me. I mean, you’re my best friend, so I want you to be happy, but she’s my sister and I want her to be safe. Then again, I also want her to be happy.” He paused. What did he think? “I think if it were me and Hermione, I’d want her to come. I’d want us to be together right up until the end if it came to that. That’s my advice as your friend. But, as Ginny’s brother, I don’t want my little sister to get hurt and if you can keep her from it, then... I don’t know, mate. I’m sorry. Not very helpful, am I?”

“Not your fault. I don’t know what to tell me, so why should you?” They both laughed at this. “Let’s just get some sleep. I’ll think about it in the morning.”

“Yeah, alright, then. I’m pretty beat. ‘Nite, Harry.” Ron turned out the light again and silently hoped that his friend would make the right decision. There would be no sharing of his big news tonight.




Molly Weasley stood at the top of the makeshift aisle surveying the handiwork of the previous days. A cream-colored crepe runner sprinkled with golden rose petals marked the aisle; white chairs lined either side of it. She waited, arms linked with one of her twins, Fred, who was decked out in midnight blue formal robes. Directly ahead, three other sons, Bill, Charlie and Ron, stood awaiting the arrival of the bridesmaids and for the bride herself. They all looked debonair in formal black robes trimmed in cream satin piping. Just behind them, in a freshly built gazebo, stood her husband. Fortunately, he had received special permission to perform the rites only the day before. The guests consisted of family, and a few friends, as Bill and Fleur wanted a very intimate ceremony. Finally, only half an hour behind schedule, she heard Ginny’s signal that they were ready to proceed. Mrs. Weasley’s eyes immediately started to tear as Fred solemnly marched her to her seat. She experienced a momentary pang of regret that one son would not be joining the family for this occasion. Percy had returned the invitation unopened.

Mrs. Weasley took her seat and saw Fleur’s mother, escorted by the other twin, George, take hers directly opposite. Then the small band, friends of Tonks’, began the bridal march and Ginny, in shimmering gold robes, floated down the aisle. She looked magnificent and had indeed decided to wear her hair in an upsweep. Gabrielle, Fleur’s sister, dressed similarly to Ginny but carrying a darker hued and larger floral arrangement, followed close behind. The sun shone through the tress of the orchard and the day promised to be spectacular.

Everyone stood at attention as the bride approached the top of the aisle, her left hand resting atop her proud father’s right hand. She had chosen to wear Great-Auntie Muriel’s tiara and it was stunning on Fleur. Bill’s scarred face glowed when he saw his bride and Mrs. Weasley felt her first real moment of happiness in what seemed like ages.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~

After a brief, but lovely, ceremony and the exchange of vows, Mrs. Weasley magically vanished the chairs, replacing them with small round tables draped in the same cream-colored cloths as the other decorations. The musicians, set up inside the gazebo and played soft music as the guests enjoyed a scrumptious buffet. The bride, groom and their parents mingled with their guests happily.

Sometime around dusk, everyone sated and now noshing on fruits, assorted desserts, coffee and tea, Mrs. Weasley came upon Bill, Fleur and some of their goblin colleagues from Gringotts.

“That’s great news,” Bill said, “that the goblin community is finally looking toward the future. We’ll be taking only a couple of days for our honeymoon, but as soon as I get back, we’ll be in contact about joining forces. My ‘friends’ will be pleased to hear this…”

They continued chatting, Mrs. Weasley not really listening. Her eyes swept around the orchard, glad that everyone was having such a pleasant evening in the midst of such dark times. She caught a glimpse of Ron and Hermione dancing, looking very much in love and trying to discreetly move toward the front of the house. Harry and Ginny, she noticed, had said very little to each other for most of the day. They were both smiling and mingling, but she could tell that the smiles were false and she assumed that they were each feeling pretty miserable. She hoped they could find their way back to each other.

Toward the end of the evening, the twins dazzled the guests with a magnificent fireworks display. Although she had had major reservations about their career choices, Mrs. Weasley couldn’t help but to grin with pride at their obvious talent. She made a mental note to speak with them before the night was out to let them know how proud she was of them. They had really outdone themselves; with those two, that was saying a great deal.




There had been so much going on during the day, Ginny didn’t have lots of time to think about Harry, their talk last night or how he seemed to be avoiding her. She caught him peeking at her once or twice, looking away quickly before she could catch his eye. The last guests, Remus, Tonks and Mad-Eye, were on their way out and Ginny now felt a bit perturbed that Harry had barely spoken two words to her all day. He did manage to tell her she looked beautiful, but that was all. This would not do. She spied him over in a corner with the twins, sharing in some joke, probably. She marched right over to him and said pleasantly, “Pardon me, Harry, a word, please?”

“Uh-oh,” said Fred.

“Time for us to…” chimed in George.

“…exit,” they chorused.

The smile Ginny had forced onto her face felt wooden, but she didn’t want to scare Harry; at least not yet.

When the twins were out of earshot, Harry said, “Before you say anything, I was going to come and talk to you when everyone was gone. I didn’t think it would be appropriate…”

“It’s okay, Harry.” She couldn’t help but to laugh.

He smiled and then joined in her laughter, “you looked a bit scary, you know.”

She merely shrugged and tried not to blush. However, she felt the familiar warming sensation in her cheeks and neck, and knew that she’d been unsuccessful. “A walk outside, then?”

He took her hand and led the way back out to the garden. It was a clear night, peaceful after all the bustle of the day. The moon was just shy of being full and lit their way as they strolled, hand in hand, toward the Weasleys’ makeshift Quidditch field. They sat beneath a large oak tree and listened for a few moments to the crickets and frogs singing into the darkness. Now that she’d gotten him alone, Ginny didn’t know what to say to him. They’d said about all there was to say the previous night. Once again, Harry saved her.

“Really nice wedding today,” he said.

“Yeah, lovely,” she replied trying to read his expression, but his face was impassive.

There was a long, pregnant pause and then he said with a smirk, “well, I guess that’s it for the small talk, then.” They both laughed at this and the tension was noticeably lessened.

Harry continued, “I’ve given a lot of thought to our chat last night and I’ve made a decision, but I don’t know if it’s the right one. There don’t seem to be any easy choices left.” He stared up at the sky. “I’m scared, Ginny.”

Her heart broke for him, and for the unfairness of the madness that had become all of their lives. She wondered if there would ever be a day when they could lead the normal lives of teenagers; she wondered if they would live out their teenage years.

“I’m scared, too, Harry. You’re not alone in this.” She took his hand and she felt him squeeze it in a silent acknowledgement of solidarity.

“I know. We’re leaving in the morning.”

“And, when you say ‘we’ do you mean…”

“I mean that if you still want to and your mum doesn’t kill me for agreeing to it…”

Ginny flew at him and wrapped her arms around his neck. He fell over and she landed on top of him, peppering his face with kisses. He hugged her back and then kissed her, but the moment didn’t last for long.

He pushed her away, gently. “Ginny, I’m glad that you’ll be by my side, but do you really understand what you’re walking into? We could all be walking into our deaths, Ginny.”

“Oh, I know it, Harry, but there are things worth dying for. Look at Sirius and Professor Dumbledore. Merlin’s sake, look at your parents and Neville’s. I don’t want to die, but the more important question is what will happen if you…die? If you…fail?” The thought of such an occurrence was more frightening to her that any idea that she might be the one to perish. “Don’t you see that we have to do everything we can to make sure that doesn’t happen? I’m not just being romantic here. If V-Voldemort wins, we’ll all be in hell. We’d probably welcome death if that happened and I’m sure he wouldn’t make it quick or painless for anyone. You just have to succeed, Harry. Not just for me or Ron or Hermione; for all of us. And we’re going to help you.” Ginny surprised herself with her own words, but knew that she believed everything she’d said. There was more at stake than her relationship with Harry. There was her family and friends as well as the families and friends of countless witches and wizards that they’d never even met. Voldemort had to be stopped at any cost and Harry had to live to see it done.

Harry was watching her with an odd expression on his face; was it pride or perhaps gratitude? In any case, he smiled and brushed a strand of hair away from her forehead. “We’d better get back, Ginny. Long day tomorrow.” He leaned in, kissed her mouth, and then as silently and solemnly as they’d arrived, led her home.




The following morning, Mrs. Weasley prepared a mammoth breakfast for her family. Bill and Fleur had left for their honeymoon the night before. Arthur and the twins came down first, followed by Charlie. Ginny and Hermione came down talking animatedly and Mrs. Weasley caught her daughter’s eye and saw that familiar sparkle. She and Harry must have worked things out. Actually, upon closer inspection, Hermione also appeared a bit peppier this morning. Mrs. Weasley decided not to think on that too much. Finally, Harry came down with Ron. Ron took a seat next to Hermione and Harry next to Ginny.

Just as it should be, thought Mrs. Weasley. She fussed over her family happily when she heard Ron clear his throat and say, “Mum, Dad, I want to tell you something.” Everyone at the table stopped speaking, waiting to hear what was coming.

Ron’s face flushed. He stood out of his seat and tenderly lifted Hermione’s hand into his own. She was now a bright pink as well and lowered her eyes shyly.

“Erm…you know we’ll be leaving this morning with Harry and, well, since we don’t know how anything will turn out, I just wanted everyone to know how, er…how I feel about Hermione, and…” He turned to her a pleading look on his face.

She came to his aid, “and Ron has asked me to marry him!” Hermione positively beamed and Ron smiled bashfully.

“Yeah, I’ve asked Hermione to marry me…when everything is all settled of course.”

The room was unnaturally silent with shock. All mouths hung open, speechless; Arthur was the one to break the tension. “Well, son, that’s wonderful news!”

Quickly afterward, Charlie, Harry and Ginny also expressed their happiness and well wishes. The twins, once the initial surprise wore off, both insisted that they had seen it coming and voiced their pleasure. Mrs. Weasley realized that she was the only one who hadn’t responded when she saw her youngest son look at her, a worried frown melting his face.

“Mum?”

Wordlessly, she bustled over to the couple and enveloped the both of them into a crushing hug. A deluge of tears flowed from her eyes. Once the floodgates had been released, she was then able to tell them both that she loved them and how happy she was. It didn’t take long for Hermione to join in the blubber fest.

Eventually, Mrs. Weasley sat down feeling overwhelmed when Ginny tapped her on the arm.

“Well I can’t top that one, can I? I wanted to tell you that Harry and I have talked and I’m going with them.”

Again, silence descended on the room like an anvil. However, this time, Mrs. Weasley felt that she was prepared for the coming pronouncement.

“Of course you are, dear. As soon as we’ve all finished with breakfast, I’ll help you get your things together.”

Later that morning, Mrs. Weasley stood at the Burrow’s front gate and watched her children; she considered each of them to be one of her own. They walked down the path. Harry and Hermione each locked arms with Ginny and Ron, respectively. Mrs. Weasley called out to the two redheads, “remember to hold on tight and don’t let go!” The four young adults vanished, with four popping sounds, away into an uncertain future.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=30013