Discovering the Mystery of the Golden Egg by Amelia Weasley
Summary: Everyone knows how Harry found out what the message in the egg meant; but ever wonder about the other three Champions and how they discovered the message? This is a one shot exploring the minds of the three deserving, real champions of the Triwizard tournament. Allow yourself to sit back, relax, and plummet into the worlds of Viktor Krum, Fleur Delacour, and Cedric Diggory.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1364 Read: 2075 Published: 08/27/05 Updated: 08/27/05

1. One-shot by Amelia Weasley

One-shot by Amelia Weasley
Disclaimer: I am not J.K. Rowling and I do not own anything.

For some reason, very few people acknowledge my existence. However, one who does know me is that adorable, courageous, genius boy everyone knows as the Boy-Who-Lived; better known as Harry Potter. I was there when he cracked open the mystery of the Golden Egg; I was there when all four champions discovered, but he was the only one who knew I was watching. This, however, isn’t a story about my darling Harry(he will realize his love for me someday), but it is about the other three. Ever wonder how they thought to listen to the Egg under water? Well, none of them did think to, until it accidentally happened. If you will just wait around long enough to listen to this story I promise not to flood the bathrooms on you for a whole month.

It all began on November 24th, just after fighting the dragons. All four Champions had retrieved the Egg and were baffled about what it meant. Viktor Krum was the first to discover the hidden meaning. He was walking along the long plank to his ship in the lake when he tripped over his own toes. Of course, I was swimming around the lake and the next thing I know, this shining Golden Egg is falling in front of my face. Upon hitting the ground, it opened. Under the water, I could hear the singing of the Merpeople, and so could they. A whole crowd of them approached to see the Egg and I blended in with the locals to go unnoticed, not that a man like Krum would notice me anyway.

A minute after the Egg fell in Viktor Krum followed. He looked so strong under water, I almost thought about giving up on Harry, but then again, what were the chances that a fourteen-year-old Wizard would not only survive, but win the Triwizard Tournament?

It took Krum a moment to realize that the Merpeople were not the source of the singing, but the Egg was. Once he scooped it off the lake floor and closed it, the singing stopped. The confusion on his face was priceless. He slowly floated up on his own accord, before he opened the Egg again and listened to the song. As he turned blue from lack of oxygen, that is one of the disadvantages of living that I no longer have to worry about, he looked at the Merpeople as if to ask, “Does it mean you? Are you the singers of the song?”

It took the Merpeople a moment to realize that Krum had discovered the secret of the Egg, and the moment they did, they scattered. Krum smiled and just broke the surface of the water just on time to breathe before passing out. He took time to float a little, resting the Egg on his stomach, before making his way back to shore. He must have been on the plank again when he opened the Egg and, even under water I could hear the horrible screeching the Egg emitted when opened in the air. The next thing I knew, the Egg was under water again and Krum was diving in after it… again.



The next one to unlock the mystery was the idiot, Fleur Delacour. That little dipwad did not find out the mystery all on her own, might I add. I was sitting in my u-bend one evening and I hear the door open to the bathroom. I peeked out hoping it was Harry, only to see a massive amount of long blonde hair. She was holding the Egg as if it was a baby.

“I cannot believe zoze boyz,” Fleur whimpered. “Zey dropped you in ze mud.”

Sure enough, Fleur’s Egg was covered in a layer of mud. Fleur began to run the water in the sink. Within a few moment, the mud clogged the drain, an as the idiot blonde continued to run the water, the level continually rose. Suddenly I heard an, “Eep!” and for a moment, I heard a murmuring of music. I realized that girl must have accidentally opened the Egg while washing it and was expecting it to scream.

She was surprised that there was not screaming. She instead ventured to open it again. Her eyes widened as she realized that the Egg did not scream when it was opened under water.

“What doez ziz murmuring mean?” she asked her reflection.

As I floated above without her knowledge, I decided to help. I began singing along with the tune, and I thought I had a rather nice voice, although the French Veela wannabe cringed at the sound of my singing. Some people can’t enjoy true music. I sang, “Stick your head in the water and listen to us sing you idiot.”

Though Fleur could not detect the source of her clue, she closed her eyes, pinched her nose closed, and took a deep breath before leaning her ear into the sink, mind you the majority of her pale face was still out of the water. I swear I could hear the song come right through that air head’s ear out of the water. However, she realized only a few moments later that the Merpeople were the singers from the Egg. She scooped up the Egg and ran from the bathroom, not noticing that the portion of her face that had been in the water looked dirty. Low and behold, she left the water running. Once again, I got blamed for flooding the bathroom, even though it hadn’t been me.




The last was Cedric Diggory. Once again, he discovered the secret by accident. He brought the Egg into the bath room with him, and tripped as he walked. The Egg went flying from his hands and cracked open on the toilet seat. Screaming quickly filled the Prefect bathroom, but moments later, only a murmuring could be heard, for the Egg had fallen into the toilet.

Not too keen on sticking his head into a toilet, he filled the bathtub quickly and closed the Egg before taking it out of the toilet. He settled himself in the tub first. He then grabbed the Egg and held it in the water. He waited for a moment, then cracked it open under water. He waited… and waited… and I was almost going to leave when he decided that he couldn’t decipher the murmuring. By this time, the mermaid in the picture was flipping around. He dropped the Egg in the water and began to wash himself. It wasn’t until he dunked under the surface of the water to get his hair wet that he realized the he could understand the song underwater.

He took a deep breath and went back under to listen to the whole song. After doing this long enough to memorize the song, he swam to and fro in the pool think about what it meant. The mermaid was still flipping her hair, and pursing her lips, and, once in a while, she would jump off her rock into the water and make a dramatic resurfacing back onto the rock; still, the dope could not decipher the message.

Finally, after staring at the picture frame for about an hour, he had an epiphany; it must have been his first and last. “Mermaids!” he stated.

He dove back under and collected the Egg, forgetting to close it before it hit the air and screams filled the bathroom again. I left because he dropped it on the floor and it rolled away, screaming its guts out. Eventually, he must have closed it though, but I was long gone by then.

So ends my little story about three idiots and how they discovered the mystery of the Golden Egg. Cedric, being the “good boy” he was did give Harry a clue on figuring it out. And to think, Harry plain told Cedric about the dragons. That’s the Hufflepuff spirit for you. Ah, what the heck, who says I have to keep a promise? (Toilets and sinks begin to flood.)
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=30731