Who Thrice Defies by TwinSuns
Summary: Voldemort is after Harry Potter, a boy "...born to those who thrice defied him...". But ever wonder what Lily and James did to defy him thus? This is a story about passion, both love and hatred. Follow James and Lily through their 7th year as they unite as Head Boy and Girl, ultimatly fall in love, and deal with the rising Dark Forces and the feared Dark Lord. Final chapter up!
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 13 Completed: Yes Word count: 27559 Read: 59727 Published: 11/20/04 Updated: 12/14/04

1. Voices by TwinSuns

2. Needing to Talk by TwinSuns

3. Miscommunications by TwinSuns

4. Freedom by TwinSuns

5. The Morning After by TwinSuns

6. Laughter and Pain by TwinSuns

7. Better off Together by TwinSuns

8. Homecoming by TwinSuns

9. Light in the Gathering Darkness by TwinSuns

10. Things Could Be Worse by TwinSuns

11. Living the Dream by TwinSuns

12. Christmas Biddings by TwinSuns

13. Refusing to Stay the Darkness by TwinSuns

Voices by TwinSuns
James Potter hesitated just outside of the Prefect’s Compartment on the Hogwarts Express. He took in a deep, controlling breath as he straightened his Head Boy badge. Alright James, he thought to himself, keep in line. This year you’re the Head boy, and the Head Girl is Lily Evans! Don’t spoil your last chance with her by acting bigheaded. Just... relax, take it easy, try not to stare into her beautiful green eyes too much, or at her stunning features, her gorgeous hair... Stop it, James! You’re doing it again. Just be the best Head Boy you can be, act like a gentleman, don’t hex Snivellus around her, and maybe she might accept you as a friend....

Nodding, as if to reaffirm these thoughts to himself, James entered the compartment, hoping the Prefect meeting would be over quickly so that he might get to have a private conversation with Lily Evans, the girl of his dreams for the past six years, before they reached the school.

Of course, the first person he spotted in the room was Lily. She was standing before the other 16 Prefects (two 5th years and two 6th years from each of the four Hogwarts houses), and seemed impatient to begin. He ran a nervous hand through his untidy black hair, rumpling it. Hearing the compartment door close, she spun to face him, and as usual, she greeted him with a frown. “You’re late Potter,” she said, before turning back to face the Prefects.

“Oh, thank you Evans, I did have a nice summer. And I hope yours was good as well,” he said without missing a beat, and neither his voice nor face revealed the pain he felt at hearing her speak to him in such a venomous way. I’ve changed for you, Lily, he thought. I’m no longer that teenage prat who asked you out every other day. I’ve grown up. If only you’d give me a chance.

He turned to the Prefects, who were eyeing him with a bit of amusement, chortling at his response to Lily. Clearly they thought he would take his new position as a joke.

“Right, well, I guess the best way to start this meeting is by introducing myself. I am, in case you don’t know, James Potter, Head Boy and in Gryffindor.”

“And I’m Lily Evans, Head Girl, also of Gryffindor,” said Lily, black robes swirling around her as she moved forward to stand next to James. “You all know what the Prefects are supposed to do, making sure students are behaving by taking away points or awarding detentions and all that, but I think “ “

“We think,” interjected James.

Lily grimaced. “The Head Boy and I both agree that what this school needs is more unity. You know, talking to each other at meals, NOT cursing each other in the halls...” she shot a furtive glance at James.

James threw a mischievous look at Lily. “NOT being hostile to one another for no good reason...” he added in for her. She stared up into his face blankly, reddened slightly, and looked away.

“Anyway,” she continued. “I don’t want to hold you up, and I think you get my drift. Just keep an eye out.”

“And, the only extra duty we ask of you: don’t abuse your position. If I find out that one of the Prefects under my supervision has been screwing around with people just for the fun of it, you might find yourself dangling upside down, in the air, your knickers on show for the world to see.”

“Potter,” said Lily warningly. James cursed himself. He’d already messed up.

“I’m kidding, I’m only joking of course,” he said, smiling that so-called heartbreaking smile of his. “But my point was serious.”

“That’s all for now,” said Lily, pulling out some slips of parchment from her bag and passing them around to the 5th year Prefects. “These are your Common Room passwords. I think the Lunch Trolley is just coming around, so if you hurry you might get to your compartment before the witch does.”

James stood aside as the Prefects passed by, hurrying back to their friends. Lily sat down at a window seat, sipped at a glass of water, and eyed him suspiciously as he joined her.

“Aren’t you going to go back to the infamous Marauders?” she asked.

James frowned, thinking of the marvelous taunting he’d get from Sirius about being Head Boy once he got back to their compartment. “Not quite yet.”

“Not going to ask me out again are you?” she said in an exasperated sigh. “Because if you are, just know you’ll be wasting your time.”

James shook his head, amazed that he might actually be irritated at Lily.

“Look Evans, what was it I did to make you hate me so much? Is it my glasses? Devilish charm? Or are you just annoyed of my liking you for six years?” he found that his voice was rising, and fought to keep in under control. “Tell me. Maybe then I can fix whatever it is!”

She opened her mouth to respond, looking surprised, as the compartment door opened. In swept tall, pale, and sneering Severus Snape, James’ least favorite person at Hogwarts.

“Oh, if it isn’t the new Head Boy and Girl. How sweet,” said Snape in an arrogant, greasy way that made it sound as if he were speaking to himself, though James knew he and Lily were the true targets. “I do hope I'm not interrupting anything. Ah wait. Evans there probably just turned down Potter again. Pity,” he sneered with grim satisfaction.

“And what are you up to?” spat James, standing and moving to unconsciously shield Lily. He pulled out his wand and pointed it at Snape. “Just get back from rubbing your greasy nose in those Dark Arts books you love so much?”

“Actually...” drawled Snape with a suggestive smile, leaving his sentence hanging. “You’re ever the fool, Potter,” he then breathed. “The Dark Lord is gaining power. It is folly to stand in his way. He is invincible.”

“If that’s all you’re on about, go away,” said Lily. She shifted out from behind James, standing defiantly before the three, her green eyes shining brightly. “Your mere stupidity rivals that of even your so-called ‘Dark Lord.’ My intelligence is dropping rapidly just because you’re in here.”

“Ah, so the Mudblood speaks!” said Snape delightedly. He opened his mouth again, but never had the chance to say anything. James, fuming, irritation at Lily forgotten, jerked his wand with a silent spell that threw locked the compartment door, and flung Snape against the compartment wall a foot off the ground, all in the same instant. Lily gasped in surprise, but didn’t try to stop James.

“Apologize!” said James threateningly. Snape, a defiant look still on his face even through the panic of not being able to breathe, jerked his head no. Lily’s water glass began to shake violently as James willed his emotions into that, rather than the invisible bind he had on Snivellus. Crushing his windpipe would surely not impress Lily.

“Do it, now,” said James calmly. He refused to yell again, and knew that since Snape only wished to irritate them, this forced calm would annoy him more than any yelling would.

Snape gave him the look of death, then slowly, nodded. James lowered his wand, and Snape crumpled to the floor. “Sorry,” he croaked.

“You’re lucky term hasn’t started yet, or you’d be sitting a week’s worth of detentions for what you called her, damn you,” said James as Snape got to his feet. “Now get out.”

James motioned his wand towards the door, where some Slytherins that had noticed the fight were furiously trying to get in. The compartment door flew open, and Snape was tossed out and down the hall a ways, slamming into his friends as he went.

James poked his head out of the compartment, stared at their disgruntled forms laying on the floor and smiled bitterly. He couldn’t resist adding “And shove your Dark Arts up your ‘Dark Lord’s’ arse!”

James straightened abruptly as a terror coursed through his body. A malignant voice seemed to speak in James ear, and it echoed throughout his head in a vehement hiss: “So you think you can defy me?”

He tucked his head back in the compartment and slammed the door, still angry, and now confused.

“Did you just say something Evans?” he asked before turning around.

She sighed. “No, you seem to be the one who’s doing all the talking today. Why?”

James stared at his reflection in the compartment door. His hazel eyes, covered by wire-rimmed glasses, were wide and worried. As usual, his rumpled hair refused to lie flat. James could see Lily behind him, still standing. “No reason. Just thought I heard someone.”

“He was baiting you, you know.”

James sighed as he turned slowly around. “Yes, I know. I’m sorry I took the bait. It’s just that I can’t stand hearing him “ or anyone “ calling you that.”

Lily sank back into her seat, taking another sip from her now still water glass. She seemed wary and extremely tired. Tired of what, James couldn’t tell. Her face was pale, and she seemed withdrawn. A tear slid down her cheek. This was the first time that James had ever seen a crack in her strong and unyielding demeanor. He hovered near the door, unsure of what to do. What he would like most would be to take her in his arms and comfort her, but if he even tried she’d probably slaughter him. Instead he compensated by once again taking the seat next to her.

“Evans, you know, if you ever need to talk, you know where to find me,” he said softly. Then, trying to get her to smile, he added, “And if you ever need a Snape pounded into a pulp, you know where I’ll be.”

She looked into his eyes, before lowering her gaze to the floor. “It’s not him. I’m growing tired of the rudeness, but it doesn’t bother me like it used to. But now, I just have this terrible sense, this feeling that....” she trailed off, her voice sad. Suddenly she straightened, swiped the tear off her cheek, that defiant look back in her eyes. “Oh what’s it to you Potter? I can handle it myself.”

James shook his head. “If you keep it bottled up, you’re going to explode. And then where would we be? I’d be a Head Boy with no counterpart.”

She gave him a rare smile and stood to leave. James wished she wouldn’t. He felt like whatever was bothering her was serious, and that she needed to talk about it. “I can handle it. Now, I’m sure that your Marauders are waiting for you. I’ll see you at the Sorting.”

And with that, she left the compartment.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Oh yeah (disclaimer): I do not own any of this. Too bad.
Needing to Talk by TwinSuns
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
A/N: Starts out kinda slow, but don't worry, it'll pick up the pace.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ch2

The fist two months of school seemed to fly by, September sliding into a howling October. The Marauders had already played their first prank (which involved many knifflers and a large amount of hidden leprechaun gold. How they managed to procure the leprechaun gold, Lily had no idea. Though the prank had been funny, she fought to keep a straight face at the rule breaking. But the smile the remembrance of how she chewed out James Potter that night did spring to her lips), and she already had a tedious pile of homework and Head Girl duties she could look forward to working on over the weekend instead of visiting Hogsmeade Friday, which was Halloween, with everyone else.

Lily knelt, on Wednesday evening, on the floor before the small coffee table in the Head’s Dorm, working comfortably on her Transfiguration homework and basking in the warmth from the fireplace. Lily had been extremely surprised and slightly worried when she found out she was required to share a dormitory with James (and lets face it, he was just ecstatic), but Lily had to admit she found it as an immense improvement over the House common room (and James hadn’t tried to put a move on her yet). The dorm, situated just down the hall from the Library, was a quiet place to study and do her homework, and was somehow soothing. Lily suspected that had something to do with the tasteful decorations.

The coffee table that she was working at was made from rosewood, as was the frame of the comfortable chairs that sat behind it. The carpet was maroon, the walls a rich cream color, and the upholstery was golden colored. Green potted plants were placed sporadically around the room, and torches helped illuminate the room as well as the paintings and tapestries on the walls. The fireplace was situated right in front of the coffee table. Directly across from the fireplace was the quaint bathroom. To the left of the bathroom a door led off to Lily’s room, and a door to the right led to James’. A quick inspection of the bathroom showed it could be used as a through-way to and from their rooms, and Lily was sure to lock the door dividing the bathroom and James’ room whenever she was in there.

Lily sighed. She was a tad bit tired, and more than a little bit lonely. Her best and only true friend, Marietta, had graduated Hogwarts the year prior, leaving Lily with nothing and no one but her studies... and of course James. Pausing in her writing about Human Transfiguration, Lily reflected over the last two months.

She had found herself, surprisingly, talking to James more frequently with less hostility, because he was the one she was around the most. Though he still had the annoying habit of irking her, she could see he had grown up, at least a little. Still prone to playing pranks on unsuspecting Slytherins (Lily didn’t think the mischievous spark in James could ever be extinguished), he was acting like a gentleman around her, and that was some improvement. In fact, to Lily’s relief, he hadn’t asked her out at all the whole term. Lily nodded in satisfaction. If he never asks, then I’ll never get drawn in, used, then discarded. Besides if I had to choose any relationship with Potter, I’d just choose friends. Maybe that’s what he’s after. But he did have a jovial and carefree way about him, that always made her smile.

A shadow crossed over her paper. Without looking up, she said “You’re standing in my light Potter.”

He didn’t move. Slightly irritated, she glanced up at him, keeping her mouth from opening. She would be lying and just plain blind if she denied he was attractive. In fact, he was extremely handsome. His unruly black hair was slightly damp from the shower, and fell over his glasses and his clear, hazel eyes. Lily liked his eyes “ they were lit with a fire, a passion for life that would never go out. His complexion was clear, his jaw thin but strong. At the moment, he was looking down on her with his arms crossed across his chest, but shifted his hands so they were resting on his hips. Lily could see the Quiddich-toned muscles in his arms, neck and shoulders shift as he adjusted. But no, Lily had to ignore all that. She didn’t want to get drawn in, and besides, looks weren’t everything.

“Potter... please move?”

He shook his head. “You still haven’t answered my question, and I’ve given you nearly two months to think about it,” his deep voice, usually filled with laughter, was serious, and this made Lily pause.

She brushed her hair back off her shoulders. “What question?”

“You haven’t forgotten.”

Lily frowned. Indeed, she hadn’t. “You want to know what you did to make me hate you?”

He nodded, and she sighed.

“Potter, I don’t hate you.”

His face brightened. “You don’t?”

“No, you just... frustrate me,” he nodded at her to continue. “For all the time I’ve known you, you’ve been an arrogant prat who only cared about himself. You feel like you own the school: you’re a playboy, you are mischievous, and you attack people you don’t like just because you can. And while I admit you’re an extremely powerful wizard, that isn’t right. You don’t see Dumbledore running around hexing people do you?”

He didn’t move. Didn’t stir. Didn’t blink.

Finally, he spoke hoarsely. “Is that truly how you think I am? In the time you’ve known me, I mean actually known me, these past few months basically, is that really how I act?”

Lily began to speak, but he cut her off. She blinked, startled, and listened. “In my defense, you say I think I own the school? I don’t, I’m just lucky to have money, great friends, brains, Quiddich, and a sense of humor. I can’t help it that that combination makes me popular, I’m just being myself. I admit that I am mischievous. There’s no hiding it. I like to make people laugh and smile, especially you. I attack people I don’t like? Yes I do, because if I don’t like them there’s a reason. Take Snape back there. Did you think I’d just let him walk away after speaking to you like that? And, you say I’m a playboy. If flirting makes you a playboy then I guess I am one. I haven’t dated, messed around with, or had sex with anyone! Lily, I’ve only kissed one girl in my life and I’m 17! And that was just an expected New Year’s kiss. But yes, I flirt, so that makes me a playboy, I see. And, I don’t care about anyone? How can you say that, when you see how I act towards you? When you see how I act towards any of my friends?”

He stopped, breathing hard. Lily looked up at him, shocked at what he was telling her. “James, I’m... I’m... sorry. I didn’t know...”

He knelt down before the fire, across the table from her. “It’s fine, I’m sorry for getting upset. You just assume I’m terrible because I’m a Marauder.”

He stared at her right in the eyes, and she had to look away. She felt terrible. “Just, your reputation...”

“Reputation be damned. Look at me Lily. What you see is what you get.”

She glanced back at him as he spoke again. “I’m sorry for tormenting you, I just wanted your attention. If you forgive me for that and asking you out over and over again, I’ll forgive you for your assumptions. I don’t expect you to like me right away, or even become my friend quickly, but I figure a clean start will help. Deal?”

Lily smiled. “Deal. Now if you excuse me, I have an essay to finish.”

She watched as he left the dorm, and suddenly she was lonely again.




James slowly walked to dinner, thinking about what had just taken place. He was glad everything was out in the open, and maybe, just maybe, she’d go to bed thinking he wasn’t terrible. And we’re on first-name basis now!

He was smiling as he met his best friends devilishly handsome Sirius Black, quiet, studious, and oh yea werewolf Remus Lupin, and little Peter Pettigrew at the Gryffindor table.

“What are you so happy about, Prongs?” asked Sirius, looking up from his porridge.

James shrugged as he sat down, grabbing a helping of porridge for himself. He looked over at Remus. “So Mooney, full moon on Halloween.”

Remus shuddered, his face paling. “Don’t remind me.”

“I assume we’re sticking to the usual plan then?” asked Sirius leaning over.

“Wouldn’t have it any other way Padfoot,” said Remus dully, stabbing at his plate with his knife. “Here, one of you hold on to the map for me, will you?”

Peter reached out for it eagerly, but Sirius gave him a knowing look and pocketed the map. He gave James a bear-like grim and punched him lightly on the arm. “Right, Prongs, this is what I was thinking for our next prank...”

After dinner, James made his way back to his dorm with light spirits. As he entered, he noticed that Lily must have finished her work, because the coffee table was clear again. As he was watching, the fire turned green for a heartbeat and spit out a small piece of parchment. Walking over the fire, he snatched it out of the air. It was probably another note from Dumbledore.

He read it, groaning, as he walked into his room. He could hear the shower running through the wall, barely though, as it was really quite a quiet shower, and tapped on the door.

“Evans “ er, Lily “ Dumbledore wants us to help prepare for the Halloween feast Friday before we go into Hogsmeade. Hopefully it won’t take too long, or we won’t be able to go at all,” he called through the door. He waited for acknowledgement. He knew she could hear him, but she didn’t respond. He tapped on the door again. “Lily?”

He pressed his ear to the door, and heard stifled sobs rising above the noise of the shower. “Lily, are you alright?” he knocked a little louder, then louder again. “Damn it Lily, this is the hundredth time I’ve come back, only to pretend I don’t hear you crying! Now open this door or I’ll do it for you!”

She still didn’t respond, and he became even more worried. What if she was hurt? Whipping out his wand, he muttered “Alohomora!” and the door snapped open.

James had to loosen the collar of his shirt immediately because of the heat and steam, and his glasses were fogging up.

“Lily!” he called again, restraining himself from ripping open the shower curtains to see what was wrong.

“What James?” she called shakily from the shower floor. She must have been sitting down. He sighed in relief and swallowed. He had this mental image of Lily crying naked with her arms around her knees, water mixing with tears, her wet hair plastered to her body, and looking purely wretched. He shut his eyes to help clear his head and slid down on the floor, leaning against the sink cabinet for support. He removed his glasses and rubbed his eyes as he did so.

“James?” Lily asked again uncertainly, poking her head around the curtains. They both blushed slightly at the intimacy of the situation, but ignored it. Her eyes were red, her skin blotchy, as though she had been crying for quite some time.

He glared at her. “Don’t do that again! You scared me half to death! You could have been hurt and unable to speak, I dunno....”

Her eyes began to water anew at his tone. Dammit! He had made her start crying again. “I’m sorry I yelled Lily, but honestly. Do you know what goes through my head when I hear you crying, and not answering me?”

She sighed, and closed her eyes, the action squeezing more teardrops out from between the lashes. She tucked her head back in the shower, and shut off the water. He silently placed a towel over the shower curtain rack as he stood. “We need to talk,” he said, and left the bathroom.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry it was a bit slow. In chapter 3 (coming soon!), things heat up.

I'm very sorry for being stupid, Mods... I won't submit too many chapters again, I promse... :)
Miscommunications by TwinSuns
Ch3

Lily emerged from the bathroom soon after, dressed in her dressing gown with a robe tied securely around her, using the towel to dry off her hair. Her faced burned in a blush. She felt like an idiot. She hadn’t wanted him to see her like that, at her most fragile moment. She thought that the shower would mask her tears, but apparently not.

Lily hesitated before walking in the living room, took a deep breath. He only wants to help, Lily. It’s none of his business, but it was going to come out anyway. It’s better sooner than later.

James was sitting on the floor before the roaring fire, twirling a piece of paper through his fingers. She couldn’t see his face clearly; his position before the fire cast his face into shadow. Lily noticed two steaming mugs of some liquid sitting on the table, and vaguely wondered how James had procured the drink.

She settled back in one of the chairs, tucking her feet under her, and took a mug.

“Butterbeer?” she asked, blowing on the drink to cool it.

“No, hot chocolate with vanilla in it. My mum makes it when someone is upset,” James said, poking at one of the burning logs in the hearth with a metal poker.

Wow, consideration I never expected from him.

“Oh... how’d you get it?” she asked, trying to delay the inevitable. She took a sip of the drink, and it warmed her body more than the scorching shower had. “It’s really good.”

James smiled at her. “Marauder’s secret. By the way, Dumbledore wants us to “ “

“I heard you,” she said, taking a calming breath. “So you want to know why I was upset.”

He nodded once again.

“It’s no big deal, honestly. I’m just stressed out because of homework, and I feel... terrible about what I said to you. And I’ve been feeling so lonely lately...” she trailed off, taking a sip from her drink.

James seemed almost sorry for her, and sighed. “Don’t lie to me Lily. I won’t think you’re weak.”

”That wasn’t a lie!” she said, looking up at him and giving him a fierce look. He seemed taken aback.

“Fine, but it wasn’t the full truth, either. Tonight was not the only time I’ve come back to your crying. You were crying on the train too, after the Snape incident, and I’m pretty sure we didn’t have any stressful homework over the break...” He walked over to her chair, and sat on the coffee table just before her. He looked at her straight in the eyes, penetrating her mask of steel, straight to her soul.

“Look, you don’t have to tell me anything. But it’s eating away at you from the inside, I can tell. I’m just offering an alternative from a depression.”

Lily sighed. I didn’t want him to ever find out. Oh, well, he’s the only one that cares.

“I’ve... I’ve, been having....” she stuttered, glancing down. “It sounds so stupid!” She played with her empty mug. James gently took it from her hands and set it on the table. She was forced to look into his eyes.

“It’s not.”

“Oh, how do you know!”

He threw up his hands. “I’m just trying to help!”

Great, they were arguing again.

“Oh, fine!” she snapped. “I’ve been having dreams alright! Nightmares, actually. About He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named. He... he’s going to kill me.” There, it’s out.

James looked concerned. “And how do you know?”

“Remember that sense I told you about? That terrible feeling I had? Well, I’ve been having these dreams for months. They intensified after that meeting on the train though. They’re always different, but I die every time. I’m... terrified of meeting him,” Lily looked away. “I don’t want to die.”

“You should tell Dumbledore about this.”

“And what would I say?” she stood, beginning to pace. James watched her from his seat on the coffee table. “ ‘Oh, sorry to bother you Professor, but I’ve been having dreams about some bloke claiming to be a Dark Lord. Oh yea, and by the way, I just have this sense he’s going to kill me.’ He’ll laugh at me, or think me weak!”

“You don’t know that. He’s got connections.”

“Oh really, and what connections are those?”

“Just... connections.”

“And how would you know about them?”

“I... never mind.”

Lily cornered him, marching up to him and pointing her finger in his face. “I told you my darkest secret that I’ve never told anyone else. Now then, just to be fair, I’m sure you can tell me how you know about these alleged connections.”

He laid his hand on hers, forcing it gently out of his face. “Really, it’s not important. It just came up in a conversation I was having with him. Just calm down. You’re a great girl, but I really wish you’d get your temper under control. It’s as fiery as your hair.”

Lily stared at him, mouth open in shock. She snatched her hand out of his grasp. He’s lecturing me about my temper? How could he force my secret from me and not have the decency to respond in turn? Surprising both herself and James, she burst back into angry tears. “Y-you pretend t-to care! I told you ev-everything! M-my deepest f-fear! But you don’t c-care, you really d-don’t. I’m going to b-bed.”

She turned, and stormed from the room, James staring dejectedly after her. “It’s not like that, Lily! I do care!” he called. But she ignored him.



The next morning, James awoke wondering why he felt so terrible. Ah, right. Lily and I had a fight last night, because I wouldn’t tell her that I heard Voldemort’s voice in my head. Well, of course not! She’d think I’m insane... As this thought sprang unbidden into his mind, he became angry. Why is everything always my fault? He got up, dressing quickly and heading to breakfast.

As usual, his fellow Marauders where there before he was, and as usual they had saved him a seat. James saw Lily eating just down the table from them, but she ignored him. He turned away from her, pained. He had only been trying to help, but he had just blundered things, and to top it all off, he was now even more worried about her, and she hated him again.

James plopped down next to Sirius, across from Remus and Peter. He glanced at Remus before piling kippers onto his plate. His friend was paler than usual, and seemed withdrawn. “You look about just as bad as I feel.”

Remus cast him a glance. “No wonder, old friend. Have your astronomy skills always been that dismal?”

“How do you mean?”

“The full moon’s tonight, not tomorrow you dolt. I realized what you had said as soon as you left the table.”

James felt worse. “I’m sorry, old chum. Don’t worry, the plan should still be on,” he turned to Sirius. “You’re quiet this morning.”

He nodded and stretched. “Tired. I was up all night with...” he caught James’ eye and smiled. “Never mind.”

James shook his head, a smile forming on his lips. “Rascal.”

“Oh yeah Prongs, how about you and Evans?”

James sighed. “We got into a fight last night.”

“Ah, lover’s quarrel?” asked Sirius, with feigned delight.

“Shut it, Padfoot. I’m not in the mood.”

“Cheer up, mate. I’m just joking.”

"I'm sure she'll fogive you," said Peter comfortingly. Then suddenly, after a glance from hom watch, Peter jumped up.

“What’s gotten into you, Wormtail?” asked Sirius as he nipped a kipper off of James’ plate.

“McGonnagal’s N.E.W.T. Transfiguration class starts in ten minutes, that’s what! She’ll fillet us if we’re late again.”

“Right,” said James, hopping up. “I guess we’re off then.”

The four of them arrived at her room huffing exactly 9 minutes later. She gave them an appraising look as they piled into their seats.

She raised an eyebrow at them. “Close call,” she said as the bell rang.

Sirius waved away her comment as he leaned back in his chair with his feet on the table, and said with arrogance: “Never. The Marauders are never late, Professor.”

“I seem to recall telling you last class that I would fillet you if you came in late again, which would suggest that you were, indeed, late.”

“Only according to some.”

The class laughed, and James nudged his friend. “Don’t try to match wits with her today, Padfoot. She looks like she’s already in a mood,” he whispered. He glanced secretly at Lily, who sat diagonally back a row from him. She crossed her arms and stared straight ahead.

“Girls,” he muttered.

“Right class. I assume you have your essays to turn in. Mr. Pettigrew it’s far too late to add to your essay now. And don’t give me that look Ms. Cummings.... Accio!” A fleet of parchment went sailing to the front of the class and piled itself neatly on her desk. Peter looked after his unfinished essay miserably, muttering about why he should be expected to write two rolls of parchment on something he didn’t understand.

She set the class to work Transfiguring badgers into furry blankets. The class went relatively well, up until the end of class, when one of James’ badgers escaped. James was crawling on the ground, trying to get it to come back to him, when he knocked over someone’s bag.

A bag belonging to someone who had very fiery hair and a penetrating stare.

“Ah, sorry about that Lily,” said James, trying to sort all the papers and stuff them back into her bag. He caught a glance of something that read ... Well Marietta, things were going well until Potter had to go mess things up again. I honestly don’t know what to do about him...

“I didn’t mess anything up!” said James, staring up at Lily from the ground with an incredulous look on his face. “You’re the one with the terrible temper!”

“Excuse me Potter!” said Lily, snatching the bag from James’ grasp. “I’m not the one barging into other people’s business!”

“Mr. Potter! Ms. Evans! Please restrain from shouting in my class! Get back to your seat Potter,” McGonnagal called from the front.

He ignored her, stung that Lily had returned back to using his surname. He stood defiantly, fists clenched, ignoring Sirius’ imploring looks. “I didn’t force you to tell me anything! I was only trying to help!”

“Well you didn’t do a great job of it, did you?” she responded, face turning red.

“Detention Mr. Potter, Ms. Evans!” roared McGonnagal over the bell. “Come here, you two.”

James sighed, thinking about how much more he had just screwed things up. He ignored McGonnagal as she chewed them out, but he paused to listen to one part.

“... and you two are Head Boy and Girl! Bickering in class! What sort of example does hat set for your peers?”

James hung his head in shame. So much for becoming the best Head Boy. Lily didn’t look furious anymore, but rather tired. Still, the sense he got from looking at her beautifully vibrant eyes was... dynamic.

“Your detention shall be served tonight at 8, in Greenhouse 3. Professor Dorris has been asking for some assistance,” McGonnagal said. James was sure his face emanated horror. Though McGonnagal didn’t know the danger (for she thought Remus would be alone in the Shrieking Shack) James knew Moony would be running around the grounds, and now they, two humans, would be stuck out there with him. Of course, neither McGonnagal nor Lily knew that was why he was worried. “No, don’t look at me that way Mr. Potter, you deserve it. Now, off to your next class.”

James hurried from the room, grabbing his bag as he left, both angered at the predicament and worried about how much more Lily must hate him now. He stopped and waited for Lily to leave the class, figuring he might as well apologize to her now so some of the misery would go away.

Now I won’t be able to keep Remus company... Mental to-do list: 1) Tell them I won’t be able to come with them tonight. 2) Avoid being killed for it. 3) Explain that they should be able to make it in and out of the castle just fine by using the Map if they’re careful enough. 4) Bring invisibility cloak to detention, just incase the gang comes near the Greenhouses. 5) Keep Lily from discovering the true meanings behind the names Moony, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs!

Lily rounded the corner quickly, and collided into James. Though he didn’t mind the closeness, he placed his hands lightly on her shoulders and held her away at an arms length. He stared at her in her eyes, hoping to get through the anger she was undoubtedly feeling towards him.

“Lily, we’re both being difficult. And I know that we’re stubborn enough that if one of us doesn’t apologize soon, we’re going to be fighting forever, and there’s no way in the world that I would ever want that.” he cracked a smile. “So I just wanted to swallow my pride and say “ “

“No, James,” she said quietly, and though James was relieved that she wasn’t shouting, and that she used his first name, the smile slid right off his face. “I don’t want to hear what you have to say. Just...let me go.”

Once again, she pulled out of his grasp and walked away from him, James more confused than ever. Damn!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Another tad bit of a slow one. Don't worry, Ch 4 is anything but that. I'm sorry Lily seems weak (she's really not, as will be illustrated in later chapters) but don't worry, her disposition will definitly improve in the next chapter.

Here's a spoiler from Ch 4, titled Freedom (one of my favoite chapters):

It was a fully-fledged, adolescent werewolf, a specimen much shaggier and larger than a normal wolf, with evil red eyes, inch long fangs, and a keen sense of both hearing and smell. And at the moment his ears were pricked, and his nose twitching, scenting out the air.

Lily saw him too, and shank back against the trunk, eyes wide and horrified.
Freedom by TwinSuns
Ch4

Lily headed down to the greenhouses after dinner, arriving slightly early. She didn’t mind though, the warm greenhouses a relief from the cruel chill in the early autumn air. Lily inhaled the sweet scent of earth as she hung her winter cloak on a nail just inside the greenhouse and looked around the huge building, crowded to brimming with life, as she announced her arrival.

“Splendid!” cried Professor Dorris, a pleasant little man who had dedicated his life to plants and the study and teaching of Herbology. He handed her a pair of gloves and a spade and gestured to twelve buckets full of small, gelatinous and bulbous seeds. Seeds from the Curitos plant.

Lily looked at the throbbing seeds curiously as she rolled up the sleeves of her starched white long-sleeved uniform blouse. She knelt next to Dorris.

“Now, what you’ll be working on today is “ “ he was cut off as the greenhouse door opened and James hurried in, shoving something into the pocket of his winter cloak. He looked winded, as though he had sprinted the quarter mile distance from the castle.

“I’m sorry I’m late Professsor, I ““

“Don’t worry about it lad, you’re right on time!” said Dorris as he turned back to the seeds. “Now, grab a spade, some gloves, and have a seat next to Ms. Evans. I was just telling her about what you’ll be doing this evening. Now, these Curitos seeds are very important, as they can be made into herbs to cure headaches, nausea, muscle fatigue, cramps... a favorite of Healers, so don’t waste them. I know you already know all about them from my Herbology class, Ms. Evans, but all you’ll be doing today is repotting them, like this...” the little man picked up a spare pot full of soil, poked a hole into the soil with his thumb, and plopped the seed in. Once he had covered the seed back over with soil he said, “There, not very hard is it? Just a tad bit monotonous. There now, there was something else I needed to do. What was it? Ah, yes. I must collect your wands. As this is a detention, no magic allowed.”

He stood up (his head not rising much higher than James’, who was kneeling), and stretched out his hand expectantly. Lily and James threw a look at each other, and then begrudgingly handed over their wands.

“Right. Get a move on. I’m placing your wands here, on the desk, but don’t even think about touching them until you are through, or I’ll know. When you’re done, you’re dismissed. Night!” he called cheerily and vanished through the greenhouse door.

“Pleasant evening to you too,” muttered James sarcastically under his breath.

Lily looked around. “Right, well, you do six buckets, and I’ll do six buckets. Then we can get out of here.”

She set to work, not waiting for him to respond, and quite frankly enjoying the silence. Lily wasn’t mad at him, she was just.... thoroughly confused. He was sweet one moment, and a prat the next. He was caring, and then thoughtless a heartbeat later. And what was more, Lily began to find that her feelings toward him were softening. She was determined to remain detached so she wouldn’t get drawn in.

“What’s the rush?” James asked her some time later, as he repotted the first seed of his third bucket. “You have all night.”

“Yes, but I needed to study tonight.”

“What for, we’ve only got one class tomorrow, on account of Halloween and Hogsmeade, and then we have to prepare for the feast, and then there’s the weekend to work on homework.”

Lily felt flustered again. He must enjoy doing that to her. “Well, some people don’t like to put things off until the last minute. Besides, your class tomorrow, Care of Magical Creatures, is an elective, and one you don’t need to become an Auror. I however need an E in my Herbology N.E.W.T.s to become a Healer - ”

“Couldn’t this count as studying for Herbology? ‘The care of the Curitos plant...’ ” he trailed off, noticing his humor was not appreciated, and she silently fumed at him. He sighed. “You’re right. All I’m saying is that you’re here, not there. You’ve got no choice in the matter, so don’t stress out. I mean, I had plans for tonight as well, but no use crying over spilt pumpkin juice. Once the moment’s gone, it’s gone.”

Is he seriously going to lecture me again? Honestly, he’s starting to remind me of my conscious. “Excuse me, I wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for “ “

“Forget it Lily, I’m not going to fight with you.”

That ended the conversation for the time span it took Lily to repot four more buckets of the wriggling seeds.

Finally, she spoke. “I’m not mad at you James, I’m just...” she shrugged.

He glanced up at her, smiling. “I know. And that works, you know, because I’m not mad at you either.”

They worked again in companionable silence until, finally, the last of Lily’s seeds were repotted, but James still had several more to go from his last bucket.

“Here, let me help you,” Lily said, moving over next to him. He waved her away.

“Don’t worry about it. You go on to bed, I’ll finish up here.”

“Are you sure?”

“Yes,” he responded. A little too quickly. Lily arched her eyebrow in suspicion. He snorted. “Go! I’ll see you in the morning.”

“If you insist...” Lily muttered, slipping back into her cloak and snatching up her wand. “Well... good night.”

“Night. Oh and Lily?”

“Yes James?”

“Go straight up to the castle. I’m serious.”

Rolling her eyes and muttering about over-protectiveness, she exited the greenhouse. She gasped in shock as the cold air stung her cheeks and she realized just how much the temperature had plummeted in the past few hours. She stared up at the night sky. Not a cloud in sight. The perfectly round moon shone over the grounds, dimming the stars near it but illuminating a pathway down to the lakeshore.

Lily hesitated, remembering what James had said, but Lily, feeling a bit adventurous, laughed and stepped down the winding path. Who is he to tell me what to do, and who am I to listen? I’m a Head just like he is, and, he’s not my father. Besides, this weather is so perfect, why not enjoy it a bit longer?

She strolled down the pathway, enjoying the complete freedom of darkness, and laughed again imagining her parent’s faces if they knew she was out of bounds, by the lake, at nearly midnight, on a weeknight. She finally reached her favorite spot by the lake, under the boughs of an old beech tree, and surveyed the grounds from that position. All was still around the lake, and looked as smooth as glass: there weren’t even ripples across the lake indicating the presence of the Giant Squid. She could dimly hear the trees of the forbidden forest rustling from the wind, and smelled the pleasant scent of burning wood from Hagrid’s fireplace on the gentle breeze. Other than that, there was nothing. She spread out her arms, spontaneously spinning around in random circles before she collapsed. She stayed where she had landed, enjoying the dizzy feeling of escaped butterflies in her stomach, and stared at the stars.

She recalled an old muggle axiom she used to say as a child, and smiled as she spoke the words. “Star light, star bright, first star I see tonight: I wish I may, I wish I might, have the wish I wish tonight...”

Freedom.



James hurriedly potted the rest of his seeds and scrambled out of Greenhouse 3, throwing his invisibility cloak over his shoulders a he did so. Now if only he could find his fellow Marauders...

Laughter captured by the breeze made him pause in his tracks. Laughter? James slid off the Invisibility cloak to go investigate. If it was some student that had snuck out of bed...

He quietly made his way down to the lakeshore, keeping a watch out for Mooney as he went. He arrived at the lake in time to see a dark figure collapse to the ground. James pulled out his wand uncertainly as he neared the person.

And was on the receiving end of a complete shock. James actually took his glasses off, rubbed them clean, and put them back on his face to make sure what he was seeing wasn’t an illusion.

Lily was lying under the beloved old beech tree, arms back behind her head, not a care in the world. She was humming to herself and seemed, for the first time in a long time, truly happy. She hadn’t appeared to notice him.

She didn’t listen to me! Wait... course she didn’t. She’s way too independent for that.

James snuck up on her from behind, and crouched down beside her hastily.

“Lily!” he breathed.

She squealed and sat up. “James!” she said, putting a hand over her fluttering heart. “You scared me out of my wits!”

James looked worriedly around, hoping her scream hadn’t attracted anything. “Bloody hell Lily! You didn’t go back to the castle.”

The response he got was nothing like he was expecting. It wasn’t cold, or annoyed. It was relaxed. “And you expect me to be inside, on a night like this?”

“Lily, you and I both expect everyone to be inside on a night like this!”

She considered this. “Good point.”

James almost laughed, but for the urgency he felt to get her inside. “C’mon in Lily, it’s not safe,” he pressed. He took hold of her chilled right hand and began to pull her up, despite her protests.

“James, what’s out there to hurt me?”

James would have growled in frustration if were a dog. Instead, he sighed. Was she so lost in her own world at this moment that she didn’t notice what was happening in the one she was standing in? Thankfully, he wasn’t forced to answer. A crash from the forest, about 20 meters to their right, did it for him.

Immediately, he pushed her against the tree trunk and whipped the invisibility cloak about them.

“James, what’re you doing?” she asked, pushing away from him.

“Lily, please. Stay still and be quiet!” he hissed. “I’m not trying to take advantage of you, I swear.”

“But James “ “

“I said, be quiet!”

Facing the tree trunk, the noise was off to his left. Ignoring the fact that he was pressed up against Lily and could smell her perfume (vanilla) and feel her breathing on his neck and warmth on his skin, James handed her his wand.

“Hold this,” he whispered.

“But why “ “

“Please Lily,” he implored. She clenched her hand around his wand.

James could now hear a snuffling nearing him, and turned his head a fraction to the left. His worst fear was confirmed as he saw Mooney standing on his hind legs about 15 meters away, only it wasn’t his friend anymore.

It was a fully-fledged, adolescent werewolf, a specimen much shaggier and larger than a normal wolf, with evil red eyes, inch long fangs, and a keen sense of both hearing and smell. And at the moment his ears were pricked, and his nose twitching, scenting out the air.

Lily saw him too, and shank back against the trunk, eyes wide and horrified.

“James... is that a “ “

“Yes Lily. Please don’t talk,” he said urgently, tilting her chin up with his hand so he could look her in the face. “He can hear and smell us. Now, promise me you won’t move and you’ll stay right here. He can’t see you when you’re under this invisibility cloak. I’m going to lead him away, but I’ll come back for you, I promise.”

“You can’t possibly “ “

“Yes I can. I promise I’ll explain later, just stay here .” He said fervently. He waited for her to nod. She did.

He slipped out of the cloak and flung himself towards the werewolf, transforming as he did so. He began galloping, taunting the growling werewolf and leading him from the clearing and back into the forest. James felt free as he ran, even though a bloodthirsty werewolf was perusing him. That was what James like most about transforming: the ability to stretch his legs, and run on and on... so fast he could almost imagine he was on a broom.

Well, the fat’s really in the fire now. But where are Padfoot and Wormtail? wondered James as he slid through the trees, staying just ahead of Mooney. Then, out of nowhere, deep growls and snarls sounded as a huge black dog lunged at the werewolf and connected with him.

James snorted, the stag equivalence of a perturbed human sigh. Sirius always ended up having to fight Remus in order to keep him under control. James turned, forcing himself between his two friends and receiving both an uncaring blow across the face from Mooney by the claws on his right hand (er, paw) and an accidental bite on his back just below his right shoulder from Sirius. He was also pretty sure Mooney has just punctured his other paw on James’ antlers. Sirius growled at James to get out of the way, but James stamped his foot. Sirius relented; he had been on the receiving end of one of the powerful kicks from James’ hind legs, and wasn’t in a hurry to repeat the experience.

James bared his horns at the werewolf, and it finally backed away, turning and fleeing deeper into the woods. James waited until there was no sound before transforming back into a human. Sirius followed suit.

“What the bloody hell are you doing out here?” whispered Sirius, breaking the seriousness of the situation by smiling and pounding his friend on the back. He was severely scratched and bleeding in several places, but other than that, he didn’t look too worse for the wear. “I thought you were in detention! Sorry bout the bite, by the way.”

James shrugged off his concern. It wasn’t important, as things like that happened every time. “I was just finished, and on my way to meet you, but then I realized Lily was down by the lake “ “ he began.

“She WHAT?” bellowed Sirius.

“Yes, she was there. I told her to go straight back, but she didn’t listen “ “

“You didn’t see her in?”

“No, I was in too big a hurry to meet up with you.”

“Did she see?”

“Yes, Mooney heard her.”

“You have a lot of explaining to do to her then.”

“I know. Listen, I left her under the invisibility cloak. I have to take her back in...”

“I understand,” Sirius said, shaking his head. “Well, I’ve got a rat and a werewolf to find, so I’ll see you later.”

“You lost Peter?”

Sirius looked uncomfortable, though a smile was spreading across his lips. “Well, I had to go chase after Mooney, and he sort of fell off my back...”

James laughed. “I can understand that. You’ll have to make it up to him later.”

“Yea, he was a bit miffed at me for not letting him hold the map, but honestly, if a man can’t remember what the distinguishing features of a werewolf are and he runs around with one every month, then how can he be expected to remember to bring the map?”

James shrugged. “He’s a good lad, he’ll come around. Later mate.”

“See you.”

They both transformed, and James hurried back to Lily, transforming halfway across the clearing to her, and running as a human the rest of the way. She ripped off the cloak when she saw him, and it trailed behind he as she ran into his arms.

“Oh James!” she said, clutching him. He was pleasantly surprised about this (though he did wince as one of her hands passed across his newly acquired bite), until she back away and hit him on the chest. “What the hell is going on?” she yelled, then spotted the three deep gashes running from the middle of his forehead, over his left eye, and ending by his left ear. “And what happened to your face?”

“Quietly Lily, he’s still out there.”

“He?”

“Here, put the invisibility cloak back on. I’ll explain when we get back home.”



Later that night (actually very early the next day, as it was about 2 am by then), Lily paced back and forth across their living area as she waited for James to get out of the shower and explain himself properly.

She understood that James could turn into a stag and was an animagi, and an unregistered one at that, but what she didn’t get was that he seemed to be expecting the werewolf, or some other dangerous creature, to be out there.

Lily forced herself to stop pacing, and sat patiently in one of the armchairs. Finally, James emerged from the bathroom wearing his pajama bottoms. Lily forced her eyes away from his toned chest and abs to stare at his face. He was still bleeding. She waited for him to speak.

He turned the other chair to face her, and sat down in it, leaning forward so that his elbows were on his knees. “Yesterday you told me a secret that you had never told anyone, one you expect me not to tell at all costs. Correct?”

She nodded.

“I’m about to return the favor. Have you ever wondered the meaning behind the names Mooney, Wormtail, Padfoot, and Prongs?”

Lily listened intently over the next hour as he explained everything, from learning Remus was a werewolf to how they became animagi, to sneaking out with him every full moon. When he finished, Lily was at a lost for words.

Of all the stupid things they could have done.... brilliant, but extremely stupid, she thought, and told him so.

He smiled sheepishly. “I suppose so. We just did what we thought was right, at the time.”

“I’m in shock.”

“I can tell.”

"Poor, poor Remus. I never imagined..."

James simply nodded.

“So all the times you had random injuries...?”

“Yes.”

Lily stood. “Wait one second.”

She went into the bathroom, grabbing a washcloth and dampening it. Going back into the living area, she knelt before James and, reaching up to his face, started to clean the wound.

“What are you doing?” he asked, the last word coming out in a pained hiss because the purple substance she was applying to his head from her wand stung.

“Cleaning,” she said simply, dabbing the excess medicine off with the cloth. “You’re lucky I want to be a healer, or you’d either have to go up to Madame Pomphrey or let these scar.”

“She’s not that bad. Never asks too many questions.”

Lily shook her head. “What you’re doing is so dangerous!”

“I don’t care. I’d rather get hurt than let one of my friends suffer alone,” he said softly. He stared at her intimately in the eyes. “Just as, I’d rather die than see you get hurt.”

Lily rolled her eyes, ignoring the blush she felt creeping up her cheeks and pretending that she didn’t feel flattered. Remember, don’t fall for him! ...Oh, it’s getting so hard. To change the subject, she said, "I doubt that. So, mind telling me how you got these?”

He looked taken aback at her doubtfulness, and then answered. “Why not. Don’t forget to clean the bite though.”

“Bite?” she asked fearfully.

“On my back. Don’t worry, it’s a dog bite.”

He launched into the story as Lily got up and stood behind him. She winced when she saw the bite; it looked deep and was about 5 inches across. As she applied the cold medicine, his skin puckered. She quickly rinsed the wound and placed bandages from her wand on it, then muttered a spell that blew hot air out of her wand and directed it at his back.

He finished the story. “Thanks, that feels great.”

Lily put her hands on his shoulders, and began kneading the muscles. She worked her way slowly down his back, being careful of the wound. “You were very brave, but also abysmally foolish. You’re also tense. It’s not a healthy combination. That, with Quiddich and running around with a werewolf once a month for the last four years, I'm surpirsed you haven't killed yourself by now.”

He laughed. "I have been to the hospital wing a fair few times," He rolled his head on his shoulders as she kneaded out a particularly knotted muscle, and groaned. “That feels even better, where’d you learn to use your hands like that? I think I’d rather have you clean me up than Madame Pomphrey.”

Lily felt nervous, suddenly, and stopped, grabbing the washcloth and going to ring it out in the bathroom sink. She glanced up into the bathroom mirror and noticed her face was bright red.

Lily, what were you doing? she asked herself incredulously. That massage was almost erotic. Okay, so you’re becoming even more attracted to him physically, and now you’re attracted to him mentally and emotionally, but that doesn’t mean you have to fall for him...

Too late.


She reentered the room and sat down in her original seat. She asked tentatively, “So... do you like being a stag?”

He snorted, trying to cover his laughter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In Ch 5, Lily comes face to face with Mr. Mooney for the first time after she finds out...

How am I doing so far? Please R&R! I'd love your ideas/critiques/comments!
The Morning After by TwinSuns
Ch5

That morning after her Herbology class, Lily walked once again the path down to the lake. She paused on her way at the crest of a slight hill that overlooked the lake, the wind caressing her face and blowing through her long ginger hair, tossing it gently about. It had been just the night before that she had been staring up at the stars, wishing for freedom. Just the night before James had saved her from a werewolf. Lily sighed.

“I’m really going to miss this place,” she said, more to herself than anyone else.

“I am too.”

Lily jumped at the voice, and glanced to her right, just noticing that someone had come to join her on the hill. It was Remus; he had Herbology with Lily, but they hadn’t had a chance to talk since they had been taking a test. He looked gaunt, and extremely tired, brown eyes withdrawn, but she didn’t notice any major injuries other than a bandaged left hand. He too looked over the lake.

“Oh hi Remus. I didn’t hear you coming down the path.”

“Hello,” he said, smiling warmly. “It’s okay, I didn’t mean for you too.”

Lily nodded. “Listen, Remus “ “

“I know you know. James already told me. I want to apologize for the scare I undoubtedly gave you last night.”

“You don’t have to apologize for anything. It was my fault I was down by the lake anyhow.”

There was an awkward pause.

“So.. you don’t think I’m...” he trailed off.

“No, you’re still the same Remus Lupin to me. Smart, a gentleman, fellow Prefect of two years, a Marauder, my friend...”

He looked down at the dying grass, but sighed in relief. He then straightened, and offered her his arm.

“So, shall we get back to the castle now? Sirius and Peter are probably itching to get into Hogsmeade, and James is probably wondering why you’re late in setting up for the feast.”

Lily laughed and took the offered arm. “Yes, Mr. Mooney, we shall.”



Meanwhile, James, Sirius, and Peter sat, as was their custom, in the courtyard, waiting for Remus to head up from the Greenhouses.

Sirius shifted impatiently on the bench on which he was lounging, throwing a look at his watch for the 50th time in five minutes. “I wish Remus’d hurry up or Zonkos’ll be sold out before we even get there...”

Peter smiled. “Even if they are, the store owners must owe us some favors after all the merchandise we’ve bought over the years. I’m sure they could pull a few strings.”

James considered his words. “I bet you’re right, Wormtail.”

“What a shock,” said Sirius jokingly. Then, “ Where is he?”

James leaned back against the courtyard wall, crossing his arms. “You don’t want to be so jumpy Padfoot. The girls might think you’re loosing your touch.”

Sirius threw him an over-exaggerated pained look. “Me? Sirius Black? Loose my touch? You’ve lost your head man. Oh, hello ladies,” he said in a much more mature voice, giving one of his best smiles to a group of giggling girls who were making their noisy way down to Hogsmeade.

“I’ll kill him,” Sirius growled. “If Remus were here, we’d be able to follow those girls down to Hogsmeade... and what a nice view,” said Sirius, still staring at the girls. James looked them over.

“You’re not being serious are you? None of them are near as pretty as Lily.”

“I’m being perfectly Sirius, Prongs,” said Sirius, laughing at his joke. “And I think you need your eyes checked. Oh wait, you’ve already got glasses. They don’t appear to be working mate.”

Peter interrupted the friendly banter. “If you’ll put your eyes back in Sirius, you’ll notice who’s arriving.”

Peter pointed the opposite direction Sirius and James had been looking. James quickly turned his head. Walking up the hill from the lake was Remus... arm and arm with Lily. James felt jealous for a second, but then relaxed. This was Remus he was talking about. Remus would never try to steal the girl that James had been after for 6 years, and if he was trying to steal her, he wouldn’t be stupid enough to do it under James’ nose.

Sirius bounded up as he spotted them. “Remus old man! Hurry up or they’ll be sold out!”

Remus smiled. “Hold on, I just need to deposit her...” he said, gesturing to Lily.

“It’s alright Remus. I’m pretty sure I can find the Great Hall from here by myself,” she said, laughing.

“Never fear, I can take it from here,” said James, approaching the pair and offering Lily his arm, which, thankfully, she took, releasing Remus’.

“Perfect!” cried Sirius. “Off we go then!”

In a flash he had Remus by the arm and was dragging him down the path to Hogsmeade, ignoring his pleas of “Gentle with the hand!”, Peter hurrying in their wake.

James smiled at he best friends, and then turned his attention back to Lily. Merlin she was beautiful. Her cheeks were rosy from the cold, her hair wind tossed and natural, no gel in it nor straightening done to it. Her eyes were clear for once, with no signs of recent tears. Some change had overcome her from last night. She seemed much more... friendly than she had before. And almost, but not quite, shy.

“Sorry I’m late, we were talking.”

James nodded as they set off, towards the Great Hall. “I’m sure you found plenty to talk about...”

They finally reached the Great Hall. None of the other Prefects had arrived yet, making the room look even larger than it really was in its emptiness.

James, relishing the touch he was maintaining with Lily, reluctantly let her go and escorted her over to the edge of the Gryffindor table. She sat down on the table surface to wait, and he said jokingly: “Well, milady. Here we are. I trust we found the way alright.”

She laughed, then looked up at him. “James, while we’re alone, I just wanted to say...”

James looked down at her hopefully, his heart suddenly beating quickly. He swallowed nervously. “Yes?”

“Before you forced a confession from me I was extremely lonely and depressed. I know I got mad, but now I’m glad you talked to me about it. I know you actually care for me, as you try to cheer me up and make me feel better, and so I officially take back all the terrible things I’ve said about you over the past 6 years. You’ve really changed. And I think it’s really sweet what you and your friends go through to help Remus. I’m... well I’m basically trying say something that I never for the life of me thought I would say...”

“And what’s that Lily?” asked James, breath catching in his throat. She thinks I’m sweet?

“I’m glad we’re friends,” she said, and promptly leaned forward to kiss him on the cheek.

Though the kiss was only on the cheek, James thought that all the emotions running through him, ecstasy, relief, triumph, would make him explode.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry it was so short, but I needed a bridge between what just happened and what's to come.

'So, when is all the action going to start?' you wonder. And I shall answer.

Voldemort makes his next appearance... why, next chapter.
Laughter and Pain by TwinSuns
Ch6

The next few weeks went quickly for James, what with Quiddich practices and the actual game (Gryffindor beat Ravenclaw 180-70), his classes, Mooney’s last two transformations of the term (one on November 10 and the next on December 7), a prank on Snivellus he hadn’t received detention for (Peeves had been blamed for overturning that vat of pickled frog brains onto the unsuspecting Slytherin), and James’ newfound, genuine friendship with Lily.

That last event, coupled with all the rest, made James feel like a very complete and happy man. Tonight however, Thursday (11 days until Christmas!), two days before the end of term, James did not feel like a happy man. Sirius had detention from McGonnagal, Remus was tutoring Peter in Charms, and Lily was nowhere to be found. James sighed, stuffing his hand in his pockets and sulking.

He decided to go take a walk. Tightening his cloak around his shoulders, he set forth from the castle.

The air was rigidly cold, burning down James’ throat every time he took a breath, and stinging his exposed cheeks. Clumps of wet snow and icicles layered the trees, window ledges, and Hagrid’s hut. Thick drifts of crisp snow covered the ground, glittering serenely in the pale light from the setting sun. This snow is awful fun to make fortifications for a snowball war in, but murder to try and walk through, James thought as he battled his way down to the lake, the snow crunching beneath his footfalls.

He slowly walked around the lake, taking his time, alone with his thoughts. He had made almost a complete circuit around the lake, and was nearing the beech tree, when a voice coming from his pocket caught his attention.

“Hey, Prongs!” the voice hissed.

James reached into his pockets, fumbled around for a moment, and then pulled out his two-way mirror. Sirius’ shining face was peering back at him.

“Sirius! I’m surprised McGonnagal isn’t supervising you,” James said, his breath issuing as steam from his mouth.

The face of Sirius made a disgusted face. “Nah, she’s got me in the trophy room, polishing awards that no one is going to ever look at “ “

“Hey, I’ve got a few awards in there!”

Sirius looked around and picked up something that James couldn’t see. “Ah, here’s one. ‘Awarded to James Potter for causing mayhem in this old dump...’ Congrats mate but I don’t think I’ll polish it ‘cause it’s got your name on...” James could see him toss it nonchalantly over his shoulder, and winced as he heard it clatter to the ground.

“That was my Quiddich award!” called James through the mirror, only acting hurt.

“Nope, it was the Head Boy one, but do you ever look at it mate?” asked Sirius, turning his attention back to the mirror.

“Well, no...”

“Point proven,” said Sirius, and they both laughed. “The thing is, and I can’t believe this: I’M NOT ALLOWED TO USE MAGIC! ‘Use backbreaking elbow grease’ she said!”

“Tough luck Padf “ARG!” James broke off as a tightly packed snowball from his right slammed into his face, splattering all over his glasses. It was icy cold and some snow slid under his cloak. James spun around to look for his attacker, but only saw a lone snowman, standing under the beech tree.

Sirius was dying with laughter. “Nice look James,” he said, commenting on the mess that was now James’ face. “Really smashing.”

“Some little snot just hit me with a snowball! Me, Head Boy!”

“Saw it, mate,” said Sirius, still chuckling.

“I’ve got to go, I’m gonna give whoever it was a detention.”

James lowered the mirror from his face and heard one last shout (“Give ‘em a round of applause from me, why dontcha?”) from Sirius before the connection was broken. Slipping the mirror back into his pocket, James started towards the snowman to have a look around.

“You’re such an easy target James,” said a familiar voice, full of laughter, and from behind the snowman she had built, and Lily stepped out into view. “I’ve been waiting for you to get to that exact spot.”

James was dumbfounded. “It was you?” he shouted, a mischievous grin spreading across his face. He ducked down, making a tight snowball fairly quickly. Practice makes perfect. “So you think you want to match snowball-slingin’ skills with me, eh?”

He cocked back his arm, then let the snowball loose. Lily squealed and spun around, so the snow splattered harmlessly on her back. Taking advantage of this, James dived at her and pulled her to the ground, arms and legs flailing wildly as they landed.

Laughing, James rolled over onto his side and leaned against the beech tree. Lily did the same, to the left of him.

“Merlin that’s cold!” exclaimed James, digging under his shirt free himself of one last bit of ice that had lodged there. Finally getting it out, James settled his left arm around her shoulders and drew her towards him in a warm hug. “I have to admit, you got me good.”

“So, little snot am I?” she asked playfully once he released her.

“Ah no, not quite yet. I suppose I should give you a detention, but as you’re a Head, same as me, I’ll let it go this once. But don’t get used to it,” he warned, jokingly. “Ah yes, I believe I owe you a round of applause from a certain Mr. Sirius Black.”

James clapped a few times, but then stopped as he caught the appraising look in Lily’s eyes.

“What?” he asked her, with true innocence. That look made him feel as though he had done something wrong.

“Where’d you get that mirror? I’ve never seen one of those before.”

James screwed up his eyes, thinking. “Ah... something I’ve had since I was a boy. I think my granddad gave it to me.”

“Oh.”

Looking over to his right, James caught sight of a journal, buried halfway by snow.

“What’s this?” he asked, pulling it out of the snow and opening it to the first page.

Mum: sweater I saw at Hogsmeade
Dad: Those No-Heat, Wet-Start Filibuster Fireworks might amuse him...
Petunia: Pepper Imps, sugar quills
Vernon: A life? Besides drills? No, how bout some... Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans
Sirius: that knife from Zonkos that can undo any lock
Peter: a box of chocolate frogs so he can add to his card collection
Remus: Quiddich Through the Ages
James: ...?


Lily looked over at it.

“Ah, just my thoughts on what I should get everyone for Christmas,” she said, and pulled it out of his grasp.

“Who’s Vernon?” asked James, wrinkling his nose. Seemed like Lily didn’t like him very much.

“My sister Petunia’s fiancé,” she replied dully. “How I hate than man.”

James decided to change the subject... slightly. “So, don’t know what you want to get me for Christmas?” he asked slyly. “I can think of one thing...”

She raised an eyebrow at him. “Assuming you get something of course.”

“Well that’s the thing isn’t it?”

Lily was saved from having to respond, because at the same time she opened her mouth, there was a giant Crack! from the lake. James turned his attention from Lily to the lake in a heartbeat, wondering what the noise was. All he could see was that there was a giant crack in the ice covering the lake.

“What was that?” asked Lily nervously.

James squinted at the lake. “Probably the Giant Squid breaking the ice.”

“It’s never done that before.”

“I know.”

Suddenly, he was wracked with the worst headaches he had ever experienced. James put his hand over his hears, moaning, trying to drown out the voice, trying to do anything. White-hot pain flashed before his eyes as that terrible voice spoke. “My my my, what a surprise. Both my little Gryffindors rowed up to die.”

Comprehension dawned on James’ face. He turned to Lily. “Run Lily! It’s him! Get Dumbledore! Ah, Merlin, my head!”

“She won’t be going anywhere. Now that I’ve finally come to take you up on our challenge, I wouldn’t want to be disappointed,” said the voice.

“Challenge?” asked James aloud.

“James, what’s going on?” nettled Lily, trying to pull his hands off of his head.

“I said go, Lily!”

The pain in James’ head peaked then was suddenly cut off, leaving James feeling numb and gasping for breath. He looked up, and froze. A man, years older than James and dressed in a long, dark, cloak was staring back at him. He had a pale, thin face, and narrow eyes. Footprints behind the man led from the lake, yet the man - No, not man. Voldemort. He is too evil to be a man. - was perfectly dry.

Lily gasped, then pointed her wand towards the castle. Light erupted from her wand and flitted away before Voldemort disarmed her.

“I don’t remember telling you to do that,” said Voldemort in almost a gentle way. She looked hopelessly at her wand, stuck halfway in the snow just beside Voldemort.




“...for your insolence I think you should be punished.”

Lily froze in shock as Voldemort raised his wand and pointed it at her.

Well, this is it. I knew it was going to happen, sooner or later.

Lily tensed, waiting for the curse. Suddenly, James jumped up and out at Voldemort, yelling, “Don’t you touch her!”

Voldemort cursed James instead. “Petrificus Totalus!” he cried, and James was frozen, a look of fury on his face. He may not have been able to move, but Lily knew he could still see and hear. “Touch her? I do not believe I said I was going to touch her. I thought my meaning was quite plain. I am going to hurt her. And you’re going to watch.”

Lily stood, but couldn’t run. He would have cursed her before she had gotten far in this snow, and besides, she couldn’t leave James.

“But first, I think I’ll allow her to hurt you. Imperio!” he said, placing Lily under the Unforgivable spell before she could dodge. Suddenly her worries were wiped away, and she felt a marvelous floating feeling.

Retrieve your wand. it said. Go on, go get it, and then perform the Cruciatus Curse on the boy...

Wait, why would I want to do that? I don’t want to hurt James. I can’t.

Go on, it’s just a simple spell. You’re good at charms, aren’t you?

Well, yes, but “

And you’re a powerful witch aren’t you?

I suppose that could be said, however -

Then perform the spell.

No, I don’t want to. Seems a bit mean.

Do it!

No, thanks, I really don’t want to.

DO IT, NOW!


“I DON’T WANT TO!” cried Lily, throwing off the curse. She found that she was bent over, reaching for her wand, and straightened. She stared into Voldemort’s eyes with a pure hatred, using the last bit of her courage to do so. The shock on his face was barely concealed, but she could see it in his eyes. No one had refused him before.

“And you can’t make me,” Lily snarled, and smiled for this bit of knowledge.

“Why, you brazen little bitch!” cried Voldemort, and Lily was satisfied to see him angry. His eyes blazed. “Silencio! Crucio! That should wipe that smirk off your face!”

And indeed it did. Lily fell to the ground, curling and uncurling from the fetal position, twitching. She tried to scream, to let some of this pain out of her body that way, but no sound came out of her mouth. Lily couldn’t think, could barely breath from the pain. It went in electric currents through her nerves, was like fire upon her skin, was so hot it could have melted the block-hard ice. It went on and on... sharp knives of excruciating pain were stabbing her, over and over...

Even as she lost consciousness, she still felt the pain.



~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I've got Ch 7 written and I'm working on 8. I'll try to post as soon as possible but this week will be an extremely busy week.

Don't worry, the story is far from over.
Better off Together by TwinSuns
Ch7

“She hasn’t woken yet Poppy?”

“No Albus, she slept all night. I didn’t even need to give her a sleeping potion! What do I tell the boy? Should we let him see her?”

“We should let James in; he is extremely worried for her. He spoke with me after the incident last night. Poor lad was forced to watch the whole thing.”

These voices swan through Lily’s head like a fog as she slowly made her way towards consciousness. Groggily, she opened her eyes, finding herself lying in the hospital wing. Her whole body ached as though she had been trampled by a herd of rampaging hippogriffs, and her skin was hypersensitive. Slowly, weakly, she sat up, tears springing to her eyes as her bed covers grazed her skin.

“Ah, Ms. Evans. You are finally awake!” said Dumbledore, peering into her face. “How do you feel?”

Lily tried to smile. “I don’t think a proper synopsis of how I feel would be appropriate to say, Professor.”

Dumbledore smiled. “Of course,” he turned to Madame Pomphrey. “Poppy, if you would be so kind as to show in Mr. Potter, then leave us for a moment.”

Madame Pomphrey nodded, then set off towards the hospital wing door.

“LILY!” James cried as he ran towards her side. Lily was relieved to see him unharmed, though he looked extremely pale. He reached out to grab her hand, but Dumbledore, moving swiftly, blocked him.

“I’m afraid you cannot touch her at the moment, James,” he said gently.

“Why not?”

“My skin is extra sensitive from last night,” Lily said, tucking her covers around her for extra warmth.

“I am glad to see that the curse has not addled your brains Lily. I shall expect Madame Pomphrey to release you when you see fit. But first, a few things need to be explained to you, and you undoubtedly have questions.”

“Please Sir, tell me what happened after I blacked out.”

So, he did. Lily listened, drawing her knees up to her chin and wrapping her arms about her legs. She shut her eyes, trying to drown out the memory... and the pain.

...perform the Cruciatus Curse on the boy... this should wipe the smirk off your face...

Dumbledore explained all about receiving the warning she had sent him before she was disarmed, and arriving at the lake to find Voldemort taunting James, for she had already blacked out. He confronted Voldemort, who had fled back into the lake.

“I must contact the Headmaster of Drumstrang to see if a suspicious man was near their lake yesterday afternoon. Things are not as they appear,” he finished, leaning back in his chair.

“But Sir, why did he come after us?”

Dumbledore sighed. “Mr. Potter and I have discussed that, and it seems as though he was challenged.”

“Challenged, Sir?”

“Yes Lily. It’s all my fault,” James said, hanging his head. “Remember what I said on the train, to Snape, about shoving the Dark Arts up his Dark Lord’s “ “

“Yes James, I remember.”

“Well, as soon as I said that, I heard a voice “ Voldemort’s voice “ in my head. It said ‘So you think you can defy me?’ I heard it again out by the lake, right before he appeared. He was talking about how we were rowed up to die. When I told you to run, he said that you wouldn’t be going anywhere, because now that he had finally arrived to take up the challenge he wouldn’t want it spoiled.”

“You’ve been hearing voices and you didn’t tell me?” she snapped at James.

He looked uncomfortable.

“Never mind. So... he attacked us, two harmless 17-year-olds, because he thinks you challenged him?”

“Oh, do not consider yourself harmless, Lily,” said Dumbledore gravely. “You have shown yourself to be strong. Voldemort is extremely powerful, yet you withstood his Imperius Curse. You had the courage to stand up to him, both of you did. James comes from a family revered for hating Dark Arts. You come from a muggle family, yet you are powerful. He can see you both as threats.”

“So, that is why he attacked us?”

“I believe so.”

“Do you think he’ll try again?” asked Lily, trying to suppress the fear now squeezing her heart.

Dumbledore looked at her gently. “Are you still afraid he is going to kill you, Ms. Evans?”

Lily threw a look at James. “I had to tell him Lily. You know that.”

Lily looked down at her sheets. “Yes,” she mumbled.

“I would not be as afraid as you are. True Voldemort is powerful, but you stood up to him. You withstood him, even with experiencing two Unforgivable Curses. That’s something that not many witches or wizards have done and it is not something to take lightly. As for your protection... you had plans to stay here over the break, correct?”

Lily nodded. “My parents won two tickets for a cruise, and my sister is staying at her school. I planned on using the time to study.”

“Perfect. You shall be well protected here.”

“Sir,” interjected James. “I was wondering... well, my dad works for the Ministry, and Sirius and I were going to my home for the break like usual and... d’you think that it would be alright for Lily to come as well? She’d be well protected what with my dad, Sirius, and I. We’ll be better off together Sir, safer, as we can watch each other’s backs. Plus, both my parents have taken N.E.W.T.s, if she wanted to ask them about it.”

Lily smiled, feeling a blush start on her cheeks Plus, you don’t want me out of your sight.. “I would really like that. I was going to suffer weeks of loneliness here.”

Dumbledore paused. “I guess she would be safe there. I will have to owl your parents James.”

“Yes Headmaster.”

“Do you have any other questions, Lily?”

Lily bit her lip, thinking... “I guess that’s everything.”

Dumbledore stood. “You will be excused from classes for the day, Lily. No one else in the school knows what happened, naturally, or there would be a panic. Just tell Madame Pomphrey when you are ready to leave, and then I would assume you have to go pack for the holidays.”

Lily and James wished him goodbye, and then James turned to Lily. He had hollowness in his eyes, and something she didn’t want to see there: guilt.

“Lily... I...”

“It’s not your fault James.”

“I could have cursed him, or something.”

“Please, I don’t want to talk about it.”

“But “ “

“James, if you keep this up I’m going to curse you!”

He smiled, and then glanced at his watch.

“I have class now Lily.”

“I’ll see you back at the dorm later then.”

He looked uncomfortable, fiddling with his bag.

I wish I knew what was going on inside his head.

Lily sank back into her covers, lying out. She rolled over onto one side and propped her head up with a hand, wincing as she did so.

He looked worried, and to cheer him up she said, “Listen, from one little snot, oops I mean Head, to another, get to class!”

He couldn’t help but smile at these words. “Look at this!” he muttered faintly. “You’re the one that just got tortured, I’m supposed to be cheering you up!”

He leaned over and brushed a wisp of her hair out of her eyes. “That doesn’t hurt you, does it?”

“No, the pain is letting up some.”

“Good.”

He looked like he was going to say more, but just then the bell rang.

“Damn! I’m late!” he cried. “Lily, I’ll see you later,” and promptly ran from the room.

Lily recalled his words, as she lay there... ”You’re the one that just got tortured...”

She shuddered at the thought. But she didn’t cry. She had long since run out of tears. Instead, she felt a sort of callus over her heart. She had been tortured. But she had lived, and she would overcome the fear.


She stayed in the Hospital Wing resting for most the day. She refused visitors claiming she needed her sleep, but what she really needed was time to think. She had a lot on her mind. Finally, after taking her dinner in bed, she checked herself out and went back to her dorm, thankfully encountering no one in the halls as everyone was at dinner.

When she arrived, she noticed there was a cup of hot chocolate on the coffee table, kept warm by a heating charm, as well as a note. Smiling, she picked up the note and read it to herself.

~Lily~

I thought that some hot chocolate might help cheer you up. Don’t you worry, I added vanilla to it.

Dumbledore owled my parents about everything that happened, and has gotten a response. They would be privileged for you to stay for the holidays. Mum is arranging the guest room for you as I write this. Sirius will be there as well, but I consider that a good thing because you’ll definitely get some laughs while you’re there. We’ll leave tomorrow morning as soon as you’re ready.

I know what happened to you last night was terrible, and I can’t help but blame myself. I drug you into this, by ‘challenging’ him in your presence. It might be hard to talk about, but we really should. I saw some things last night that I... well... I can’t write them here.

I guess I’ll see you tonight after dinner.

With undying affection,
James


Lily folded up the letter and tucked it into her pocket. The gesture really was quite sweet, but she couldn’t talk to him yet. She picked up the warm mug of hot chocolate and sipped on it as she gathered her things from throughout the dorm. Once everything was in her room, she slipped into the shower, letting her sore muscles relax under the hot water and warm steam. Once out of the shower, she dressed in her nightdress, locked her door, and began packing.

She heard James come in at about 9, but pretended to be asleep. She couldn’t have him confront her to talk yet. She wasn’t ready.

She lay in bed for hours in the steadily darkening room, unable to sleep. Finally, and with a sigh, she crossed her pitch-dark room and stared out of her window. The twilight was clear, and she could see clear across the sparkling lake.

The lake.

“...I am going to hurt her. And you’re going to watch.”

This memory pierced that callus in her heart. Lily gasped aloud, feeling completely vulnerable. Would she never cease to feel this way? She collapsed back onto her bed, squeezing her pillow, as the silent tears started flowing anew. She couldn’t get the blazing look of Voldemort's eyes out of her head, and it scared her.

He wouldn’t let either of them go. They were a challenge to him, something he desperately wanted to overcome. He wouldn’t let two 17-year-old students, barely of age, get the best of him, she knew. He would come back.

Lily wiped at her tears, but as quickly as she removed them, they were replaced. On impulse, she knew where she had to go to be safe.

Lily opened her door and walked through the bathroom. She paused before James’ door. It was late; he was probably already asleep. Lily opened his door a crack and peeped in. The waning crescent moon sent slivers of light over his silently sleeping form. She saw his chest rise and fall with each steady breath; she heard his deep rhythmic breathing. Lily smiled. His hair was a mess, as usual, his face serene as he slept. The gashes from Mooney were all but gone. Lily noticed that both his wand and his glasses had been set on the bedside table. The door creaked as she opened it fully.

James sat up in bed, covers sliding off his bare chest as he reached for his glasses. “Lily?” he asked. “What’s wrong?” He started to light a candle, but Lily gestured at him not to.

She trembled, trying to hold back her tears. She needed to be held.

James somehow sensed this in her. “Come here, Lily,” he said gently, setting his glasses back on the table and reaching out for her. Lily hesitated, heart beating rapidly and feeling nervous, but then moved forward, unable to stem her tears anymore. She slipped quickly under the covers and James wrapped his arms around her, his stomach pressing into her back. She could feel his hot breath against her neck, his heartbeat against her shoulder.

“I’m so sorry Lily,” he breathed, voice low. “I wasn’t there for you. He made... he made me watch... as he attempted to destroy the one thing that I... that I...”

Lily felt a drop of moisture on her neck, followed by another. He was crying for her. Lily then remembered the pain, and the fear.

Her sobs wracked her body, but there was no keeping them in anymore. All the pain she had felt... the insecurity... she needed it out. James squeezed her, whispering into her ear, trying to comfort her with his presence.

“Shhhh Lily,” he whispered as she cried. “Shhh... I’ll take care of you. I’m not going to let anything hurt you again, I swear.”

James rocked her until the pain was dimmed, until the wracking sobs left her. One of his hands shifted up to brush the hair from her face and tenderly wipe the tears from her cheeks in a soothing manner, the other rested over her diaphragm, the warm weight of it comforting in itself.

Lily felt immensely better, exhausted from crying, but still better. But the best feeling was security. Her nervousness faded and her comfort grew, as she felt more and more protected. Nothing could reach her here. Snuggling closer up to James to feel his warmth, she finally drifted off to sleep, his arms still around her.

He’s right. We are better off together.




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope that end wasn't too fluffy for you, but I thought it was sweet. Bit of a turning point, there.

As I said before, this week is going to be extremely busy for me, but I'll get up the next chapter as soon as possible.

If you have any ideas for me, or concerns, just let me know!
Homecoming by TwinSuns
James awoke the next morning with Lily still cuddled up against him.

Best. Feeling. Ever.

He smiled, looking at her, noticing the way her hair shone in the early morning sun, and the small smile that played on her lips as she slept placidly. Lifting his hand, he stroked her cheek softly, hoping she didn’t awake. Finally, and with a sigh, James slipped out of the bed, trying not to jostle her too much. She moaned slightly as he pulled away from her arms, and though James wished more than anything to lie there with her eternally, he had things to attend to.

He grabbed the clothes he planned to wear to his parent’s house (jeans and a long-sleeved gray sweater) and went into the bathroom to change. Dressed, he ambled around the dorm, collecting all the things he’d be bringing home and dumping them noisily in his trunk.

He was kneeling in front of the fireplace poking at the logs, the heat so intense it felt as though his eyebrows were being singed, when a voice startled him.

“You are quite the pyromaniac, aren’t you?”

James looked over his shoulder and forced his jaw to remain closed. Lily was standing behind him. She was wearing some nice-fitting jeans and a crème colored turtleneck sweater that went well with her hair, which was down and in soft ringlets. Two golden chandelier earrings hung from her lobes, and she was wearing a golden necklace to match. She looked... stunning.

“Well, you look nice this morning,” he stammered. “What’s the occasion?”

She smiled. “Oh you know. You only get to make a first impression once.”

“My parents will love you, no matter what you look like.” As do I.

He stood and glanced at his watch. “Ready to go? I told Sirius we’d meet him for breakfast at nine and it’s nearly then.”

“Yes, I packed last night,” she said, looking somewhat nervous. “But I wanted to talk to you first.”

Is that a blush?

“Oh really? What about?” he asked, hoping that she wasn’t going to say she regretted coming to him last night. He voiced his concerns. “Are you... regretting coming to me... last night?”

She shook her head, her hair spilling around her shoulders. “Oh no. No. I appreciate it. It’s just that... could we just...?”

He crossed over to her and gave her a hug, relishing her warmth. “It’ll be our little secret. And, just so you know, if you ever need me again, I’ll be more than happy to oblige.”

She laughed and hit him lightly on the chest. “I figured so. Shall we go?”

James nodded and held his wand. With a flick of his wrist, their two trunks lifted to the air and headed toward the door.

“After you.”

They joined Sirius in the Great Hall for a quick bite of toast, and were soon setting off down the road to Hogsmeade. They would apparate to James’ house from there.

“Now I know you’ve never been to my house before, but it’s easy enough to find,” said James, leaning against the gate by the Shrieking Shack.

“Just concentrate on 3785 Rolling St,” added Sirius. “It’s the only house around there... so as long as you end up on Rolling Street...” he trailed off, grinning.

“Judging by that look, I think I’d better aim for the actual address, thanks,” responded Lily suspiciously.

“Alright. You go ahead, I’ll follow behind,” said James, throwing Sirius a look that he hoped Lily wouldn’t catch. Sirius nodded in return. Sirius would go first to make sure it was safe, and James would remain here, ensuring Lily’s safety. He really hoped she didn’t realize what he was doing. Or I’ll have that fiery temper of hers to deal with.

With a small crack, quiet pop, and slight snap, the three dissapparated.

James instantly reappeared in the familiar courtyard before his house. He cast his eyes over the house, a mansion some would call it. It had three floors, plenty of space, and was set in the middle of 100 acres of family land.

Lily was before him, gawking at the house, but Sirius was nowhere in sight.

“This is where you live?” she asked, voice full of awe.

He smiled, feeling nervous. “Yep. Hope you like it.”

“It’s beautiful!” she said, spinning around to look at the yard. The courtyard was a bit bare, only a few wintering plants till vibrant among the snow. Beyond the courtyard, in all directions, was a wood, which looked as beautiful as the one they’d left behind at Hogwarts. Rolling St. was only a mere trail through the wilderness, which was fine as the Potter's didn't own a car.

“Where did “ “ James started, curious as to where Sirius had gotten to, when a big black dog bounded around the side of the house. He rolled in the snow, barking his head off and chasing his tail. James and Lily laughed, but James wasn’t only just amused by the dog’s antics. He knew it was Sirius, but Lily didn’t, and he decided to have some fun with her.

“There you are, old chap!” cried James, throwing out his arms. Sirius didn’t hesitate; he jumped right up and put his paws on James shoulders. As James patted the dog furiously, and Lily squealed in delight. “Yes yes, I’m excited it’s break too!”

“Is this your dog? He’s so cute!” Lily said, moving over to pet it. Sirius gave a joyful bark, hopped off James, and lay back on the ground, exposing his belly. Lily knelt down and rubbed the dog’s stomach (something that none of the Marauders ever did), and the image was far too funny to James to make him jealous. The dog kept barking, and James knew this was a canine version of a human laugh.

“What’s his name?” Lily asked, glancing up at James.

“Ah... he goes by Snuffles or Padfoot at times, but mostly I call him Sirius,” said James, trying to hold his laughter in.

“He... what?”

As his words sunk in, Lily turned to stare back at the dog. Only the dog wasn’t a dog anymore. Sirius had transformed back into himself, and was laughing. Lily yanked her hand off of Sirius’ stomach.

“So you think I’m cute, eh, Lily?” asked Sirius mischievously through his laughter.

“Oh, you!” she exclaimed, hitting him and going red. “I didn’t know.”

She turned to glare at James. “And you were in on it!”

James stopped laughing, hoping she wasn’t mad. “Well, you see, it was a great opportunity,” he said, trying to sound innocent.

She cracked a smile as James helped her up. “It was pretty funny, wasn’t it?”

“Up, you lug,” James said to Sirius. Sirius got up, and had snow all over his back. He shook it off, rather doglike, and collected his things. “You know, sometimes I wish you stayed as a dog,” James said wistfully.

“And sometimes I wish you’d stay as a stag “ so I wouldn’t have to listen to you talk!”

“At least I don’t bite,” James pointed out, rubbing the area on his back where Sirius had bitten him.

“Okay, so maybe my bite is worse than my bark,” said Sirius with a devilish smile. “It’s so good to be home!” he exclaimed, pounding James on the back. James remembered too well the instance last summer when Sirius ran away from home. His parent’s had sent a follow-up letter telling him he was disowned, and James’ parents had declared Sirius their second son.

“Oh, there you are!” cried a voice from the doorway. A petite woman with long, raven black hair stood in the doorway, frantically waving.

“Mum!” James called, hurrying over to her. He grabbed Lily’s had and pulled her along with him.

“Mum!” Sirius echoed gleefully, following James and Lily. “Good to be back!”

“Oh, my boys!” she said, throwing her arms around both of them at once. James supposed it would be a funny sight, this woman strangling two men that towered over her by feet. “And this must be Lily?” she asked once she released them.

Lily moved forward, offering her hand. “Lily Evans ma’am. Pleased to meet you.”

James’ mum to her hand then pulled her into a hug. “You poor dear...” she said absentmindedly patting her on the back. “Make yourself at home. If there’s anything you need, anything at all...”

“Thank you Mrs. Potter.”

Mrs. Potter led them inside the house, and James looked around the place he had grown up. The first story contained a spacious sitting room, dining room, kitchen, and the master bedroom. The second story was the main living area, which housed the fireplace, the library, Mr. Potters’ study, and two guestrooms complete with a bathroom each. The third story was the smallest and only housed James and Sirius’ rooms and a bathroom.

“It’s so good to have you back. I’ve been lonely with you at school and your father away at the Ministry James,” she turned to speak to Lily. “James’ father works at the ministry. Head of the Department for Magical Games and Sports!

“Just leave your things there Lily. Mally, our house elf, will attend to them. Now where has that creature got to, I wonder...”

She checked her watch. “I’m meeting a friend at Diagon Alley for a bit, so James and Sirius I’ll leave you to show Lily around. Dinner is at 7 o’clock and I expect you to be here “ in one piece,” she said, eyeing Sirius, who grinned.

James pounded up the stairs, Lily and Sirius fast behind him. “Of course, mum.”

“Oh, and don’t touch your broomstick! The weather’s horrible!” she called before she dissapparated.

“A bit of cloud equals horrible? Half of my matches are in weather much worse than this!” he called, but she had already left. James rolled his eyes and turned to his friends. Sirius knew what he was thinking.

“I’ll get the spare broomsticks, you grab the Quaffle,” Sirius said, heading to the storage closet on the third floor.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Here you go, best I could do under the time alotted me on the computer! Hope you liked it... if not, I swear I didn't do it on purpose.

Fun filled chapters to come!
Light in the Gathering Darkness by TwinSuns
Lily collapsed into a chair at the kitchen table a few days later, skin aching from the cold. Still, she was smiling. She had enjoyed the past few days at the Potter mansion greatly; she and Mrs. Potter had put up all the decorations while the boys played chess or Quiddich and Mr. Potter was a work (Mrs. Potter insisted it was much more fun to do by hand, without magic), and now springs of mistletoe, and garlands with everlasting candles set in them and red bows tied to them, decked the stairwells, the hearthstone, around the windows, and a great Christmas tree twinkled at them from the sitting room. Their last project, planting poinsettias about the house (with major heating charms on them to keep them from freezing) had just been completed, and Lily felt as though her nose was about to fall off from the cold.

Mrs. Potter, cheeks rosy, slid into a chair next to her.

“Well, I’m glad that’s done. And we still have a week until Christmas!” she exclaimed, removing her heavy cloak and placing it over the back of the chair. “Now, if only I had something to drink... Mally! A glass of “ never mind. I sent her off to the Diagon Alley for me.”

“I’ll get it,” said Lily, sliding up from her chair and heading towards the cabinet she knew the mugs were in. She felt perfectly at home here.

“Nonsense dear, you don’t need to.”

“It’s the least I can do.”

As Lily bustled around the kitchen making two glasses of hot chocolate (with vanilla, of course), a tawny owl delivering a Daily Prophet tapped at the window. She aimed her wand at window, and with a flick, the window opened enough to let the owl in, then slammed it shut.

The owl flew over to Mrs. Potter, who promptly paid it and let it out again. The scream that issued from her mouth was enough to make Lily spill the drink on the counter, and to send one of the boys flying down the stairs. With a slight curse, Lily cleaned up the mess.

Sirius entered the room, dressed neatly in blue robes, his hair combed straight.

“What?” both he and Lily asked at the same time.

Mrs. Potter didn’t answer. She stared down at the front page of the paper, face pale, mouth open.

“What’s wrong?” Lily reiterated when Mrs. Potter didn’t say anything.

She met Sirius’ eyes, and then he slowly reached out and took the paper.

It’s another attack. Oh, Merlin, I know it is. Please don’t let it be bad... The attacks from Voldemort and his supporters had been coming every few days, some muggles or muggleborns that had been attacked, and even some Ministry officials. Many officials were being tortured or put under the Imperious Curse, as Lily had been. No one ever saw the attacks, or knew who was a Death Eater and who wasn’t. All anyone knew was that if the Dark Mark (a skull with a snake crawling through it) appeared, it had to be bad.

Lily’s fear grew as she saw Sirius’ reaction to the article. He clenched his hands about the paper, knuckles growing white, and seemed just about to rip the paper when he controlled himself.

He silently handed over the paper, which Lily took reluctantly, and then he knelt down to comfort a sobbing Mrs. Potter.

Lily read the headline.

MINITRY OF MAGIC ATTACKED

It was a startling and bold move made, and ended, by He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named and his supporters (who call themselves Death Eaters) only twenty minutes ago. It seemed a peaceful time, many of the Ministry employees making their way home. You-Know-Who stormed the busy Atrium, laying waste to whatever defense that opposed them...

Lily’s heart began to race as she read the article. It was short, badly written, and was bluntly ended with: “It is unclear why the Ministry was attacked, other than to cause damage. Who-Know-Who and his supporters suddenly vanished from the Atrium, leaving behind no dead or wounded Death Eaters for identification. Dead and wounded officials, and of course, the infamous Dark Mark, were all that were left behind. Readers are encouraged to remain calm. Neither the Minister nor his staff were injured.”

Lily dropped the paper and slid a mug into Mrs. Potter’s hands. “I’m sure Mr. Potter is fine.”

No sooner had the words come out of her mouth than there was a pop in the kitchen and there appeared Mr. Potter, looking disheveled. His brown hair was on end, sweat and blood glistened on his face, and he had a large gash on his forehead. His hazel eyes, which usually reminded Lily so much of James’, were clouded and his usually jovial demeanor was gone. Lily liked Mr. Potter very much, as he was just like an older, more tried version of his son, but his attitude at the moment was unsettling.

“Elise,” he said, moving to stand by his wife. She threw herself into his arms.

“Oh Thomas! When I read the article, I thought that “ “

“Shh,” he said, comforting her. “I’m fine. But I have to go back to the Ministry and help sort some things out.”

He smiled at both Lily and Sirius over his wife’s shoulders but asked gravely, “Where is my son?”

“He wasn’t feeling too well, so he was lying on his bed last time I saw him,” Sirius responded.

Mr. Potter nodded and helped his wife back to her chair. “Now, I must get back to the Ministry, and I’ll be late. Don’t hold diner for me. Sirius, I understand you have an appointment with your Uncle this evening?”

Sirius nodded.

“I want you to go there and straight back, if you please. I have to go now... by the way, Lily, the decorations look wonderful.”

And with another pop, he was gone.

After he had gone, Mrs. Potter went off to her room for a lie down, without ever taking a sip of her drink. Sirius squeezed Lily’s shoulder in a comforting manner and apparated away. Lily sighed, alone. She decided to see if James was feeling all right.

She brought both still steaming mugs of hot chocolate up to his room and rapped on the door. No answer, he might have been asleep. Deciding to leave the drink on his beside table, she opened the door, only to find James wasn’t in bed.

His window was open, and the cold gusts of air blowing in were enough to extinguish the fire in his fireplace. With a pang of realization, Lily realized where he had gone. She shivered, levitating the mugs carefully before her, and climbed out of the window, thankful she hadn’t taken off her winter cloak and taking time not to squash the garland.

She saw him, leaning up against the chimney with his arms crossed, and staring across the woods. She could barely see him through the gathering darkness.



James was snatched out of his reverie by the scent of chocolate, and a waft of warm steam hitting his face. He glanced down, and noticed a mug floating in the air. Smiling, he took hold of the handle and turned around. Lily was standing there, looking at him quizzically.

“So you found me,” he said, sliding down so that he was sitting on the slanted roof. He took a sip of the drink and with his other hand patted the space of tile to the right of him.

She took the seat. “Sirius said you weren’t feeling well.”

“Just a headache, but I feel better now.”

“Good,” she said, a blast of white mist coming from her mouth as she did so. She shivered, slightly, and wrapped her arms around her legs.

James tentatively draped his right arm over her shoulders. When she didn’t resist, James pulled her closer to him. He had found that ever since she had come to him that night, he had craved for her touch and closeness. And ever since that night, she had been willing to give it to him. He had a nervous feeling in his chest, and was sure his heart was racing, but it was a good feeling. If he didn’t know better, he’d say that he -

“There was another attack today,” she said, effectively erasing most of the positive feelings he was having.

James sighed and furrowed his eyebrows. “What did he do this time? Murder more innocents? Torture some undeserving muggleborn?”

Lily tensed beside him. “He set the Dark Mark over the Ministry,” she said, knowing he understood the implications of that.

James gasped in alarm, a thousand unpleasant thoughts running through his mind. “But... my father? The minister?”

“They’re all safe. Your dad came by for a minute to tell us he was fine but that he had to go back to the Ministry.”

“He came but didn’t see me?” asked James in a bitter voice.

“He asked about you, but Sirius told him you were lying down,” she said in a soothing voice.

There was an awkward pause.

“Your mum and I finished decorating today,” she said for a change of subject, looking up into his eyes.

“I know. The house looks fantastic,” said James, setting his mug gently down on the roof and shifting his left hand over to stroke her cheek.

She closed her eyes, enjoying his touch, when some sudden and overwhelming desire hit James. He lowered his head and touched his lips to hers softly, and her eyes fluttered open for a second. She reached around to run her fingers through the hair on the back of his head, and James melted. He lowered his head again, pressing more forcefully, more passionately, against her lips, and to his delight, she was kissing him just as passionately in return.

James cupped her face with his left hand and lowered his other arm down her back, feeling her in a way he had never been permitted to feel her before: with an intimate touch. He didn’t even realize he had laid her back onto the roof until had had already done it. He regretfully pulled back, still half holding her, and he just looked at her.

“That could keep a man warm on a cold winter night,” he said, joking.

“James,” she said, smiling. “That... I... we...”

He smiled as well. “I have been hoping for that for the last six and a half years.”

“Was it worth the wait?”

He answered in another kiss. They were about to get back into it again when she pulled away.

“What did I do?” he asked, hoping he hadn’t offended her.

“James... we have to move slowly, all right? I don’t want to take things too fast.”

He considered her words. “Agreed,” he said. “But on one condition.”

“And what’s that?”

“You have to go out with me.”

She laughed and snuggled up against him. “James Potter, we have an agreement.”

He could have died right then and been the happiest man alive. They got settled down, comfortably enjoying each other’s company, dreading the moment when James’ mum would call them away to dinner.

They had been sitting there quite a while in the dark before Lily spoke.

“James, the last night of term at Hogwarts, after... the incident...”

“Yes Lily, what about it?”

“You said something as you were, were holding me.”

James said nothing, waiting for her to continue.

“You said that Who-Know-Who “ “

“Voldemort, Lily,” James pressed firmly. “Don’t be afraid of him.”

“Well I am,” she replied simply. “Anyway, you said that He made you watch as he attempted to destroy the one thing that you.... that you what? You never did finish that sentence.”

James heart was beating uncomfortably fast by this point. What if he told her how he felt, and it just scared her away? He took a calming breath, kissed her forehead to buy some time, and decided to tell her the truth.

“Lily, you know I’ve liked you for ages. But lately, the feeling has intensified tenfold. I’m not saying this to force you to say it back to me; in fact, I never want you to say it unless you mean it. And I hope that nothing between us gets akward because I admitted this, but... the other night... I was going to say that Voldemort was trying to destroy the one thing that I care about more that anything.

I love you, Lily.”
Things Could Be Worse by TwinSuns
He was alone. He had escaped from the constraints of him room and fled into the glistening woods. It was very dark, the moon obscured by a sudden damp fog that swirled around the thick trunks of the forest trees.

He broke into a run, heading deeper into the woods until he reached a small clearing with only a stump in the middle that he knew well. He reached the stump, brushed off the thick layer of snow that had accumulated on the top with a gloved hand and climbed atop it.

It was some time that he sat there, reminiscing over the past few days. The temperature steadily dropped and still the mist clung to the air. It was unusually cold.

He noticed, as he sat there, that the woods were inexplicably quiet. He studied the silence. No sounds of owls of other nocturnal animals. It was odd.

And suddenly there was a shattering breath, not his own. The next shuddering breath sent shivers down his spine, and he slid from his perch, drawing his wand.

It was as though they were made of the night itself as they materialized before him: dark smudges against the fog before the towering cloaked forms broke through it. They glided across the brilliant snow, dark as shadow and this fact made more ominous by the way they contrasted with everything around them. Three of them: Dementors.

He shot a quick look over his shoulder, making sure there were none behind him. There were.

The fierce cold threatened to overpower him. “I thought I made myself quite plain. I am going to hurt her, and you are going to watch.” There were screams, the ones that had been trapped inside, reverberating around his head.

“No!” he cried. He said an incantation, and a silver stag burst forth from his wand. But it just splashed off of the Dementors in a silver mist, and blended back into the fog.

She continued to scream.

“Lily!”

James lurched forward, snapping awake, sending his bedcovers flying. His chest was heaving and his heart was running rampant. He groaned and leaned foreword, rubbing his eyes with his right hand. With his other, he reached out and grabbed his glasses from the bedside table.

James slid out of bed and glanced at his watch. 6:30 am and it was still pitch dark outside. He stood by his fireplace to warm up, and then absently began to get dressed. This had been the third nightmare he had remembered having since the incident, and on the nights he didn’t remember having a nightmare, he woke up feeling foul the next morning. It was driving him crazy. He grabbed his wand and stuck it in the back pocket of his jeans, and headed to the kitchen.

He paused on his way, back tracking into the sitting room. There was a figure leaning comfortably on the hearth behind the candle-lit tree, absorbed in a book.

James watched Lily as she delicately turned to the next page, and then paused before she began reading to liven up the fire. James swelled with emotion at even the thought of her.

The look on everyone’s faces when they realize she’s my girlfriend is going to be priceless.

At this thought, James laughed. Lily cursed and slammed her book shut.

“James, you scared me!” she said, as he headed over toward her. He leaned down and gave her a kiss. “Whatever were laughing at?”

“I was imagining the looks on everyone’s faces when they realize that you agreed to be my girlfriend. Of course, the following thought of getting thrown into Azcaban because everyone thinks I’ve used Imperious on you is less appealing,” he said, lacing his arms around her.

A small frown crossed her face at the mention of being put under the Imperious Curse, and James cursed himself. He was relived when the next moment she smiled.

“That wouldn’t be too good, would it?”

She settled herself against him and opened her book again, flipping slowly to the proper page. James had thought that his admission to her two days ago would make things awkward, but she had thankfully taken them in stride. She hadn’t repeated the words back to him, of course, but just being with her was enough for James. He didn’t want the words until the feeling was there, 100%, as well.

James pointed his wand at the window across from them, drawing the curtains open. The snow swirled down about the courtyard, and there were no signs from his dream. Still, he shivered.

“Come on Lily, let’s get out of this house. We’ve been cramped here too long.”

She looked up at him. “What? Where would we go?”

He stood and pulled her to her feet. “Diagon Alley of course. Need to get the holiday shopping done.”

“James!” she scolded. “It’s nearly Christmas and you haven’t done your shopping yet?”

He raised his eyebrows at her, and she sighed. “You go wake Sirius, I’ll go get my cloak.”

“Sirius stayed over at his Uncle’s last night, so it’ll just be us two,” said James as he scribbled a note to his mum.

“Are you sure we’ll be safe?”

A pang crossed James’ heart, but his turned his wince into a smile. “Course you will “ you’ll be with me.”



Lily had to admit that it was a relief to get out of the house as they strolled arm in arm down Diagon Alley. James paraded Lily on his arm like she was some sort of queen, and she enjoyed the experience, even if she acted modest. Indeed, she had been on the receiving end of a few envious looks from other women who, no doubt, found James attractive.

Lily was primarily window shopping (as she had already completed her shopping, except for James of course, she still didn’t know what to get him), but did end up purchasing a scarf for her mum.

They were out all day and finally retired into the Leaky Cauldron for dinner. Tom, the barkeep in his early twenties, led them to a small booth in the back, out of most of the pipe smoke wafting from the bar, where they ate their meal while commenting on everyone that passed through. There were so many creatures there... Lily was sure that she had upset a cloaked patron (vampire, maybe?) by laughing too loudly, but she didn’t care.

James looked at her from across the booth as the patron chided them for being too loud. He rolled his eyes. “Right old hag.”

Tom chose that moment to appear with two glasses of Firewhiskey. James flipped him a few knuts before offering Lily the drink.

She looked at him doubtfully. “James...”

“Come now, Lily, it’s the holidays. And you’re of age.”

She reached out and took the glass. “I keep forgetting I’m allowed to drink this stuff,” she said after taking a sip and feeling the drink burn it’s way down her throat. She cocked her head to the side, considering the taste. Not too bad.

James snorted as he raised his glass to his lips. “You forgot one word in there: legally.”

Lily rolled her eyes and held out her glass for him to toast. “To the holidays.”

“To our first date,” he said, chinking his glass against hers. She blushed and took another sip.

Once their drinks were finished, Lily and James headed to the back of the pub, preparing to apparate home. Lily found herself slightly more cheerful than usual, which was probably on account of the drink. But when two figures blocked their way out, she sobered up immediately.

“Oh look who it is, Luscius,” said one of the men in an unpleasant voice. “My brother’s friend, James Potter.”

Lily paled. She knew that voice from school. Regulus Black and Luscius Malfoy. They had been in Slytherin a few years above her, and had been terrible to her.

“Well, well, well... and who are you keeping company with these days Potter?” asked Malfoy with a sneer. “Mudbloods aren’t exactly safe to be associated with these days, are they?”

James stood rigidly in front of Lily, shielding her. “You move Malfoy, and you too Regulus, if you don’t want trouble.”

They pair laughed. “You? Cause us trouble?” asked Regulus. “You and who else?”

“Me!” Lily snarled, trying to get around James. She was sick of this, all of it. All this pure-blood mania, Voldemort and his followers, they made her sick. “And James it twice the man of both of you!”

James held her back with one hand, but his wand remained perfectly steady in his right hand.

“How sweet, a little protective of her are you Potter? The Dark Lord should hear of these developments,” hissed Luscius the same time that Regulus leaned forward into James’ face.

Even from this distance Lily could smell the alcohol there. No wonder they were speaking so much about their ‘affiliation’. The two idiots were drunk. No sober Death Eater would have the balls enough to admit they supported Voldemort in a publib pub.

“I’m going to tell you a little secret Potter,” said Regulus with a grin. “You haven’t seen nothing yet. That little encounter with the Dark Lord was just a tester. There are far worse things coming for the likes of you.”

Lily could feel James shaking with suppressed anger. “I’ve told you once, don’t make me ask again,” he said in a deadly whisper that even scared Lily. “Move your arse out of our way, or I’ll kill you.”

“Feisty, aren’t you?” asked Malfoy with a laugh as he raised his wand. By this point, the few patrons left in the pub (two old men and a hag) had gone completely silent as they watched the proceedings.

“If you gentlemen just want trouble,” called Tom from the bar, “I’ll have to ask you to leave.”

Regulus gave Tom the finger. “Shove off mugglelover.”

He suddenly lunged forward, knocking James roughly to the ground and grabbed a hold of Lily. His grip on her arms was too strong for her to break free, and he shoved her toward Malfoy.

“Lily!” James called, rising from the ground. Malfoy caught her by the hair. Tears sprang to her eyes from the pain but she ignored it. Mafloy cuffed her on the head and threw her into the booth behind him, disarming her as he did so.

“So, the schoolboy thinks he can take on two grown men, does he?” sneered Regulus as James stood, swiping a bit of blood from a newly acquired split lip.

The look on James’ face was frightening. He completely forgot about his wand and slammed his fist into Regulus’ face, snapping his wand in the process. Regulus slammed James into a table, and they both fell in a tangle of body parts and table legs. The fight ensued on the ground, Regulus managing to get a good hook to James’ ribs, while the later lifted a broken table leg. Hefting it like a beater’s club, James brought the broken bit of furniture smashing down onto Regulus’ temple.

The older man stopped struggling, and in an instant Malfoy had his wand trained on James. “You stay where you are,” he called, not quite covering the fear in his voice. Apparently James had been a more formidable foe than he had expected, and this thought made Lily smile.

James paused and Lily could see him struggling to make a decision on what to do. He was wand-less against a Death Eater, who had his girlfriend trapped behind him.

“Let her go,” said James, standing tall.

“I have a proposition for you. We could use skills like yours...” Malfoy trailed off as James leaned over and spit on the unconscious form of Regulus. Lily would have laughed if she had been in any position too. “Very well, Potter. Be it on your head. You’re going to come to a very sticky end one day,” he, biting off the words in anger.

James ignored him. He looked like he was trying not to clutch his side. “Let her go.”

Malfoy shook his head. “Not on your life. I think I could be well rewarded for bringing this little mudblood into the Dark Lord. He finds her so interesting.”

James started forward and in a flash Malfoy had Lily trapped against him, his wand pressed into her throat.

“Or I could kill her,” said Malfoy, sounding bored. He grabbed her arm and wrenched it backward, pulling it so hard Lily was sure it was about to pop out of its socket. Lily cried out, which made James take another step forward. Malfoy jerked his wand into her throat threateningly. “It’s up to you really. I wouldn’t mind ridding the world of one more mudblood. Now, if you value her life, run back to your pathetic little Headmaster “ AH!”

Malfoy’s speech was cut short as Lily, doing the only thing she could think of doing, sank her teeth into his Adams apple and bit down hard. He flung her away from him, slashing at the air with his wand. The orange flame flew past Lily but didn’t quite make it past James, and it grazed him on the right side of his chest. James crumpled to the floor, but as much as she wanted to, she couldn’t run to him.

Malfoy was still slightly distracted as he pawed at his throat as though she were still biting him. He turned and fled from the pub. Lily scooped up her wand and ran to James’ side. He was unconscious, but still had a pulse. He moaned slightly in pain as she touched his face.

“Oh James, you’re lucky I want to be a Healer...” she whispered she straightened his broken glasses on his face. He opened his eyes and tried to focus on her.

“I’d rather have you patch me up any day...” He attempted a laugh but started coughing, chokeing on blood.

Tom appeared by her side and lifted James to his feet. “Come on Lily, we’re taking him to St. Mungos.”


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope you liked it! Any ideas?
Living the Dream by TwinSuns
James awoke the next morning in a haze, unsure of where he was or how he had gotten there. His face hurt where he had been beaten, as well as his left ribs. But the fiercest pain was coming from the area of his right lung, and for some reason it hurt every time he took a breath.

He opened his eyes and found himself in one of St. Mungos private wards, lying in a somewhat comfortable bed near a snow-darkened window. There were holiday decorations about the place in a vain attempt at holiday spirit, but James felt awful at the moment. No Quiddich injury had prepared him for the licking that a drunken Death Eater could produce, and he winced at the memory.

I actually got into a bar fight with two grown men, Death Eaters, in front of Lily. And I was so hoping that was just a bad dream. James groaned, but a wicked grin spread across his face. But I lived to tell the tale. Wonder what the Marauders will make of it?

As though on cue, James’ wardroom door opened, and in sauntered Sirius carrying a bottle of butterbeer and looking as though he hadn’t got much sleep. His eyes widened as they spotted that James was awake, and he rushed to the bed.

“Well, you’ve finally awoken,” said Sirius, cracking into a smile and conjuring up a chair to sit in.

James nodded and rubbed his temple. “How long was I out?”

“Three days. Today is Christmas Eve, so... happy Christmas Eve.”

“Three days?” exclaimed James, sitting up in bed. He winced, but otherwise ignored his aches and pains. In an attempt at a joke, he said, “Well, I’m glad I got my shopping done and everything wrapped. What was wrong with me, then?”

Sirius squinted up his face. “You were pretty messed up. Cracked ribs on the left side, gashes everywhere else from your little fight. They aren’t sure what you got hit with, but whatever it was, it was nasty. It slashed your right lung, which slowly filled up with blood. It was close to collapsing when they got you here. Lily said something about you passing out from asphyxia, whatever that means.”

“And how is she?” James asked with just a bit of trepidation. Sirius sensed this.

“She’s fine mate, only a bit sore. She’s at home with your parents to rest, but they say they’ll be back later. She doesn’t blame you in the least. In fact, congratulations, she considers you her right little hero,” said Sirius, his eyes flashing as he teased James.

James wasn’t amused. “That was the second time I let something happen to her.”

Sirius rolled his eyes. “Nothing happened to her. Don’t worry, we’re taking good care of your girlfriend.”

James caught Sirius’ eye and grinned. “Didn’t even need to torture her into it, either.”

“Yes, but I would have thought you’d tell me. I mean, I’m supposed to be your best mate!” said Sirius, his voice thick with mock pain.

“Sorry, I’ve been a little unconscious.”

Sirius sniffed. “That’s no excuse,” he said. Then he burst out laughing. “So, I heard you gave my brother the beating he deserved. Knocked him clean out.”

James smiled proudly, clutching his left side in memory of that hook. “It’s been coming to him. My only regret is that you weren’t there to see it. Or do it.”

Sirius waved his comment away. “My only regret is that he woke up and ran off before he could be brought in to the Ministry.”

James sighed. “Fair point,” he hesitated, then went ahead and brought up the subject completely. “Speaking of your family...”

“Yes?”

“Well, how did the meeting go? Did your uncle... you know?”

“Yes, he gave me the gold. Enough to rent out my own place next summer,” said Sirius brightly. “He’s one of the only decent ones left in the family.”

“But, isn’t he afraid of what your mum’ll do when she finds out?” asked James pointedly.

Sirius shrugged. “He said he knows the old hag will blast him off the family lineage tapestry, but he doesn’t care. Said that’s all it is: a blasted tapestry.”

James smirked.

“Well mate,” said Sirius, standing up and vanishing his chair. “I just spoke to your Healer, and she says that you’re pretty much fine now. You just have to take this potion” “ Sirius pulled a flask from his pocket to show to James, then plopped it back in “ “twice a day until the pains go away.”

“Brilliant,” said James dully, the grin completely gone from his face after hearing that. “Well, can I check myself out then?” he asked, swinging his legs over the edge of the bed in preparation to leave.

Sirius barked out a laugh and handed James his clothes. “Forget about the family coming to visit. I don’t know about you, Mr. Prongs, but I’d much rather bring you to the family.”




Lily stood in front of the full-length mirror in her room, primping. The Healers guessed that James would be awake by the time they arrived to visit him that night, and she wanted to look her best for him. She had braided her glossy, dark red hair into a long plait, leaving out a few wispy strands to frame her face, and hung dangling white earrings that looked like snowflakes in her ears, which matched the small snowflakes woven into her sweater. Her sweater was a dark green that really brought out the color of her eyes, and she also had on khaki pants. For fun and color, she placed a sprig of holly behind her left ear and tied a red ribbon around her waist as a belt. Thus attired, and with her wand secure in her back pocket, Lily went to find the Potters.

She found them on the second story, taking time to relax (Merlin knows Mr. Potter was rarely able to do that anymore) by playing each other a competitive game of wizard’s chess. Lily watched James’ parents play as animatedly as though they were teenagers again, and Lily knew at once where James got his competitive streak and even a bit of his arrogance. Apparently James’ improvement had set them in good spirits.

“Oh come on, trounce him! He’s a bloody rook!” Thomas Potter was commanding his bishop, which seemed unwilling to make the move. Elise Potter tutted, and her husband looked sheepishly up at her. “I meant, he’s only a rook.”

“Thank you dear,” Elise said as she took that bishop with her next move.

“I knew you would do that,” said Thomas, scratching his chin and glaring at the chess bored.

Lily laughed, drawing their attention from the game.

“Ah, Lily dear!” said Elise happily. “Are you ready to go?”

“Yes Mrs. Potter,” Lily answered, going over to sit with them.

“Well, we’ll apparate there as soon as we finish this game “ “ Elise started, but Thomas finished her sentence.

“And I win,” he concluded, moving his knight into position to check the king. “Check!”

Elise crushed his knight with her queen, and gave her husband a pointed look. “Mate,” she added.

“And, the women sweep the bored,” said Lily joking. Thomas Potter looked up at her, shocked.

“You’re supposed to be on my side!” he exclaimed good naturedly as he stood and cleared the chess bored with a flick of his wand.

“No, that’s your son’s job,” said Elise, taking her winter cloak from the timid house elf Mally. Lily liked Mally, though she didn’t see her often as Mrs. Potter sent her out on errands often.

“And speaking of your son...” called a voice from down stairs. “He’s just arrived.”

Lily ran to the balcony and looked over it, followed closely by Mally. Sirius had just entered the room, ushering in a worn out, sore James.

“Master James is being home!” cried Mally in an overjoyed voice. With a crack, she disappeared and turned up at James side. “Can Mally get yous anything Sir?”

“Butterbeer, thanks Mally,” said James as he handed her his cloak. He gazed up at the balcony, still clutching his left side, and tears sprung into Lily’s eyes at the sight of him. She hurried down the stairs and flung her arms around him neck, and though he protested on the pretense of being in pain, Lily still held on. She whispered into his ear before she released him, “I tried to stay, and hold you until you got better, but the Healers wouldn’t let me.”

He laughed, then embraced his (also tearful) mum and clapped his dad on the back.

“We were about to come visit you, Son,” said Thomas, ushering James into a sitting room chair across from the tree. Lily knelt on the floor to the side of the chair as Mally appeared with James’ drink. “But I had to show your mum a thing or two about chess first.”

They laughed. “I doubt that’s how it turned out, was it Mrs. Potter?” asked Sirius, taking a seat next to James.

She blushed and shrugged, then looked sternly at her son. “How dare you! You take this young lady out with no protection, then get into a brawl with two men at a pub “ “

“Mum, it wasn’t just any two men! They were Death Eaters!” said James, trying to defend himself. Mally looked in horror between her Mistress and Master, then turned back to the kitchen to finish cooking. “In order to protect Lily, I had to fight them.”

“I don’t care, it was an unnecessary risk. And the fact that they were Death Eaters makes it ten times worse “ “

“I have the highest grades in Defense Against the Dark Arts at school mum, it’s not as though I’m completely helpless!”

At school James!” she said, not yelling but certainly raising her voice. “This isn’t school. It’s the real world! One of you could have died, could have been kidnapped... And you certainly are helpless now. What sort of protection can a broken wand give you?” she stopped, breathing hard. “You aren’t an Auror yet, James Thomas Potter, no matter how much you want to be one.”

James simply stared at his mother after her insult, and Lily felt sorry for him. It hadn’t been his fault. When he spoke, he spoke quietly. “You think I don’t know that? You think I don’t know that something terrible could have happened to Lily, the girl I love, and it would have been my fault?” He started rising out if his chair, but Lily forced him back, blushing at how he had so boldly stated that he loved her. He raised his voice instead. “You can’t possibly think that I wanted this to happen, to show off, can you?”

“Now, now, James, of course your mother doesn’t mean that. She was just very worried,” interjected Thomas. “Now, it’s Christmas Eve. You’re home, safe, let’s have a nice dinner shall we? We can worry about your wand tomorrow.”

Elise nodded. “Of course. I’m very sorry James, I just.... everyone into the dining room,” she said briskly, wiping a tear from her eye. “Mally is that dinner ready yet?

Both of James' parents left, leaving the three teenagers awkwardly behind them.

“Went off on you a bit, didn’t she?” asked Sirius, trying to cheer him up. Lily shook her head at him, not knowing how James would react to his mother’s scolding as she had never seen him scolded before (besides when she did it), but what he had said appeared not to bother James.

“Yea, well, I’ll consider myself lucky that dad intervened,” said James, rolling his eyes, though he still looked shaken her from her lecture. Elise Potter seemed the only person to be able to put her son in his place, other than Lily that is. “Help me up, would you?”

Lily and Sirius each took a hold of one of his arms and pulled him up. Sirius clapped James on the back as they steering him into the dining room. “For what it’s worth mate, I think overcoming two Death Eaters a pretty formidably feat. Even if they were drunk and one of them was my good-for-less-than-nothing brother.”

Lily was inclined to agree.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Hope you liked it, though it was somewhat of a filler.

BTW, I've just realized that Regulus was a year younger than Sirius, not older than him, but as Regulus isn't exactly a big part of this story I suppose it's not that important. I appologize if the fact that I messed that up really irks you, but does anyone really care about Regulus? I mean, honestly. :-p
Christmas Biddings by TwinSuns
Lily awoke the next morning with the familiar stirrings of excitement in her stomach. She smiled broadly as she thought, It’s finally Christmas! Her excitement turned to nervousness as she fingered the folded piece of paper in her pocket, something she had written for James while he was in the hospital. She was nervous about giving him this, wondering what he would think but... she was ready for this.

She grabbed the presents for Sirius and James (she had sent off all the other ones earlier), and hurried downstairs. Mr. and Mrs. Potter were already seated around the table drinking hot chocolate, Mally was working on what was to be a huge Christmas lunch, and James and Sirius were building a mansion of exploding snap cards on what little space there was on the floor before the tree.

“Happy Christmas,” called Mr. and Mrs. Potter in unison as they spotted her.

“Happy Christmas,” she reliped, snuggling up in a chair by James.

“Finally!” cried Sirius as he spotted her. “It’s nearly eight!” His lack of attention caused a slight shift in the groundwork of the castle, and it collapsed, singing the hair hanging over his eyes.

James and Lily laughed as he tried to fan out the flames. “I was going to come wake you up if you weren’t down here soon,” said James, turning on his side (with only a slight wince) to look at her. She had just plopped down in the chair closest to where James was sprawled out on the floor.

“And what a rude awakening I imagine that would have been,” said Sirius, waggling his eyebrows and grinning.

James laughed and tossed Sirius his first present, though Lily saw a hint of a blush forming around his cheeks.

The group merrily tore into their presents. Lily watched out of the corner of her eyes and pretended to open another gift as James opened his gift from her. His fingers slid over the wooden black box, searching for an opening. As he opened the box, he glanced at her, and then pulled out a crystal snow globe set on a beautifully carved wooden stand. In the background of the globe was a picture of James with her arms around Lily that Sirius had taken. But the foreground was most captivating. His eyes widened as they saw it: his house sat in the middle of a field of snow, in perfect detail. Snow swirled around the globe just as it swirled around outside. Lily finally looked up at him.

“I charmed it so that wherever we are living, that building shows, just as the weather is the same,” she said, her fingers tracing of the crystal. “But, if you ask it to, it can show where one of us is, specifiacally.”

James reached out and squeezed her hand. “It’s amazing,” he said, before setting it carefully on a table. He pulled a small package out of his pocket. “This is for you.”

Lily’s fingers trembled as she took it. She carefully unwrapped the tissue, to reveal a small, silver ring with an emerald in the center and two stones each of diamond and obsidian flanking it. Lily looked up at James, gushing.

“It’s so beautiful!” she said, lifting it gently out of the paper. He took it from her hands.

“It’s been in my family for generations, but I want you to have it. I’ve found that it exactly matches your beautiful eyes,” he mused, inspecting it. He then took one of her hands in his. “May I?”

Lily nodded, and her breath caught in her throat as he slipped it on her finger. She leaned over and kissed him on the cheek, but they were interrupted as Sirius gave a tremendous shout when he unwrapped the knife she had bought him.

“Lily.. it’s...” he stammered, turning the knife over in his hands.

“Yes, I know I just aided you in your rule breaking, but I just couldn’t resist buying it for you,” she said, smiling. Then they were called to dinner.


Throughout the lunch hour, Lily fingered the delicate ring on her right middle finger, but couldn’t keep her mind off the note, which sat waiting to be read in her pocket. She was so nervous about it, that she tapped him on the shoulder and slipped it to him under the table.

He gave her a confused look, then un-crumpled the paper and read it.

Lily held her breath, imagining the words as he was reading them for she had memorized them:

James,

I’m sitting in my room, thinking about all that has occurred these past few days. The attacks, our relationship, what happened at Diagon alley. I guess the truth of the matter is that I can’t get you out of my mind.

The way you smile when you’re teasing, or the way your eyes gleam full of zest for life. The way they smoldered when I was in danger, how you promise to always take care of me, and even how sexy it was when you wiped your lip before smashing Regulus in the face. You vowed to protect me, and now you’re lying nearly comatose at St. Mungos for that promise. For me.

You said once that you would rather die than see me hurt, and I said I doubted it. I don’t doubt it now, just as I don’t doubt your love for me.

I guessed I missed it while you were with me, and it hit me while you were gone; I’d die for you, because I’d die without you. I guess I didn’t know what I had until I almost lost it.

What it comes down to James, is that I truly, passionately, love you. So we’re going to go on together, facing whatever comes our way until Voldemort gets tired of dishing it out to us. We’ll make it through this James, together. Because we the strongest bond of them all: love.

I love you, James Thomas Potter. And I will not let anyone take that away from me.

Eternally yours,

Lily


Lily watched with nervousness as James read the letter, silently folded it, and placed it in his pocket. He finally looked at her, a tear rolling down his cheek.

Lily blushed and smiled. But why wasn’t he saying anything? I knot of nervousness was growing in her stomach. What if... what if... WHAT IF. I wish I knew what was going on in his head, she thought, for the hundredth time. Surely he was ecstatic, surely he was... She couldn’t stand it anymore. She excused herself, and fled.



James was speechless. He had no idea what to say, because he was afraid that if he opened his mouth, all that would come out would be a scream, the volume of his utterly happy feelings. His eyes welled as he read the letter, though he tried to stop them, and a tear of happiness rolled down his cheek.

But suddenly she was out of her chair, and after sending a concerned look at his questioning parents, James followed her. He caught up to her on the second story, in an alcove off of the library, next to the roaring fire. She was headed to her room. He grabbed her hand and spun her into his arms.

“James,” she said uncertainly, but he didn’t say anything. He simply tilted her chin up and practically smothered her mouth was his. She didn’t object, and if anything deepened the kiss, her hands around his waist and the back of his neck pulling her toward him. He lost his balance and fell towards the wall, but finally braced his hands on the wall on either side of her shoulders. His heart was beating madly as his body pressed hers against the wall, his body felt the heat of love and lust, and he was lost in the kiss.

He finally broke off the kiss, and held her in a long hug, her head settled against his chest.

“Why did you run away?” he whispered.

“I don’t know,” she said, her voice muffled against his chest. “You didn’t say anything.”

“I was trying not to scream with joy,” he said, stroking her hair. “You don’t ever have to run away from me.”

She squeezed him tighter. “I... I love you James.”

He sighed, feeling elated at those words. “I love you too, Lily Evans.”

Someone cleared their throat near the fire, and Lily and James jumped apart from each other, embarrassed to be caught embracing. Please don’t let it be my parents, or worse, Sirius, James thought as he poked his head around the alcove corner to look for whomever had cleared their throat.

James didn’t see anyone, and pulled out his wand as he walked further into the living room area of the library and stood before the fire, pulling Lily along behind him by her hand.

The fire was green and James jumped as he spotted who had come to call.

The cheery, long bearded face of Dumbledore was peering into the room from the fire, and he smiled as they walked into sight. “Lily, James! Just who I wanted to see!” he exclaimed. “I was beginning to worry no one was home.”

James stared at his headmaster, astounded. “Pro “ professor, whatever are you doing here?”

Dumbledore surveyed him gently. “I am here to speak with you two. I hope I may come in?”

James nodded and glanced nervously at Lily as Dumbledore clambered from the fire.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Sorry it was short (I dind't have much time) and hope you liked it! Sorry that was sort of a cliffhanger, but that was the perfect part to cut it off. The next part might take a while to get out because I want to it be... perfect.
Refusing to Stay the Darkness by TwinSuns
No one spoke again until Dumbledore was seated in a comfortable chair before the fire and Lily and James sat opposite him, in the couch. Lily looked back and forth between the two; James was fiddling with his glasses finally having put his wand away, and Dumbledore looked contemplative.

“Erm... would you like anything to drink?” asked James, almost making Lily smile at how he was trying to be a gentleman.

“I’m quite all right James,” said Dumbledore, surveying the pair over his half-moon spectacles. “I just need to speak with you, and then I’ll be off.

“I heard about what happened in the Leaky Cauldron,” said Dumbledore, intertwining his long fingers.

James shifted nervously beside her and held a hand to his sore ribcage. “Yes, well... that wasn’t a very -”

“It is nothing to be ashamed of. In fact I think you two managed quite well, under the circumstances. So well, that I need to share something with you.”

“Is this about your connections?” asked Lily, speaking up for the first time. Dumbledore looked down kindly at her.

“Why yes, this is. I am here to tell you about something very secret, so secret that you may not even tell your best friends, lest they be untrustworthy. But first, where is Mr. Black?”

"Oh!" said James, and he called Sirius up the stairs. The expression on his face when he spotted Dumbledore was quite amusing, Lily decided, but he managed to pull himself together enough to join Lily and James on the couch.

"Good to see you, Professor," he said, throwing a confused look at James, who just shrugged.

"Indeed, you are surpirsed to see me, Sirius, but I need to tell you all something very important..."

Lily and James leaned forward, and she felt a slight fluttering in her chest. This was the key to a positive outcome of the war, it had to be.

“It is a secret organization that I have quite recently begun to try and stop Lord Voldemort. We are few, and Voldemort’s supporters are many, but I feel that if we opperate well enough, we can eventually overthrow him.

“It is called the Order of the Phoenix.”

Lily, Sirius, and James glanced at each other, as Dumbledore proceeded to tell them about what being in the Order would mean. After an hour, he was finished with his tale, but they had made up their minds long before.

“Of course I’ll join!” exclaimed James and Sirius, both jumping up from his seat.

“And I will too. Someone needs to put a stop to his antics,” added Lily, nodding her head, feeling that finally she would be able to accomplish something.

Dumbledore smiled, stood, and shook James and Sirius' hand. “I knew you would. Now if you excuse me, I need to get back to Hogwarts. I shall see you three again shortly, I daresay.”

He paused at the grate. “And do remember, that not all people think as you do. There is quite a chance that more Death Eaters have been added to Voldemort’s ranks this holiday, and some of them will be at school with you. They can not suspect that you are in the Order. It will put you into more danger.”

With that, their Headmaster left, leaving the three teenagers in a pensive silence.



That night, Lily found James once again on the roof. She nestled against him and sighed, watching the steam from her mouth rise up and intermix with the twinkling sky.

“What’s wrong?” asked James, letting loose a snitch and then catching it before it escaped him, over and over...

“Do you think we can do this?” she asked, feeling slightly bogged down with it all.

“Do what, love?”

She felt a flush at his words but continued on. “Do this: become a part of the Order of the Phoenix.”

“I think we’ve proved out worth so far. We can handle it,” he said, setting aside the snitch.

“That’s what I’m afraid of. Now that we’ve withstood him once as well as his Death Eaters, I don’t think that Voldemort would hesitate to kill us,” she shivered at the thought, and James stroked her cheek. “I mean, your mum was right. This is the real world we’re involved in now James, not just school.”

He looked down into her eyes, beacons of warmth in the cool night, and he whispered, “It’s better to die fighting for the right cause, than to live without trying and having to stay the darkness.”

She hesitated, and then spoke, her voice wavering. “I’m afraid.”

“I am too, Lily,” he said, but then he smiled. “It won’t be easy, but we’ll get through this. I know we will. We’ll get through this together, and have a family and a home, some place that our son or daughter can romp around in, and then they’ll too go to Hogwarts and we’ll listen to their adventures when they come home for break. And we’ll have grandchildren too. Yes, we’ll overcome this darkness, together.”

Lily hugged him and stared out into the stars, feeling her confusion lessening and that glorious feeling of freedom returning. Her spirit sang with thoughts for the future. As she watched, a shooting star streaked across the sky, a symbol of promise.

“I love you James...”

His answer was a kiss.


And they did fight for the right cause. And they did die. Nearly two years later, Voldemort found them and their young son Harry at their home in Godric’s Hollow. He killed James, who tried to protect his wife, child, and dreams. And though Voldemort told Lily to stand aside, she didn’t, and sacrificed her life for her son, so that he might live on and defeat Voldemort, for the final time.

Remember, if the time should come when you have to make a choice between what is right and what is easy, remember what happened to two promising adults who were good, and kind, and brave, because they strayed across the path of Lord Voldemort. Remember Lily and James.






~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Disclaimer: that last quote was from JK Rowling, but I changed it up a bit...

Yes, that was the last chapter. Sadly, I haven't had any time to write, so I'm ending it there for now. Better there than leaving it uncompleted, right? Hopefully some time in the near future I'll be able to pick it up again.

Thank you to all me dedicated readers and reviewers. I don't think I could have kept going but for y'all!
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=3088