Charlie's Angel by Jenn_Weasley
Summary: Charlie Weasley has returned to his dragon taming job in Romania. Now that the war is over, he should be happy. But a devastating loss has caused Charlie more pain than he can bear. Someone is coming who will bring Charlie back to a life of joy and hope.


Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 10938 Read: 1817 Published: 08/29/05 Updated: 09/06/05

1. One-Shot by Jenn_Weasley

One-Shot by Jenn_Weasley
Charlie Weasley lay in bed staring at the ceiling. As usual, he couldn’t fall asleep. He had hoped that being back in Romania would cure his insomnia, but it hadn’t. The pitch blackness of the room kept him from focusing his eyes on anything in particular and he was bored with his thoughts. The cold weather wasn’t helping either.

That new Ridgeback better not try to burn my head off again tomorrow or I’ll stun it into next week, he reflected.

Of course, he really couldn’t. Not by himself, anyway. But after the year that Charlie Weasley had endured, anything was possible.

Charlie had stayed in Romania for most of the past war with Voldemort. His international connections were valuable to the Order. It frustrated him that he wasn’t with his family during this time, but his sense of duty won out. Because of his friends throughout Europe, many fleeing Death Eaters were caught within days of the final battle.

He had returned to the Burrow to see his family about seven months ago. His youngest brother was graduating from Hogwarts and he had wanted to be around for the celebrations. He also missed his family badly. Charlie and his brother Bill had a great week together. They had slept late and gorged on their mother’s cooking. They didn’t even mind de-gnoming the garden. It had reminded Charlie of his younger days when all he had to worry about were exams and the occasional scolding by his mother.

Their vacation was abruptly ended when Dark Marks had erupted all over the skies of England. Voldemort was making his big move to take over the Wizarding World.

The battles that ensued were gruesome and heartbreaking. Charlie and Bill had seen many of their friends fall.

Charlie’s last battle had occurred the night that Harry Potter finally defeated Voldemort. He and all of his brothers had been keeping Death Eaters at bay so Harry could fight Voldemort on his own. The Death Eaters were desperate to reach their Dark Lord and had put up quite a fight.

The battle had stopped suddenly as a piercing shriek tore through the night. A wave of green light burst from the Riddle House and rushed over the lawn where the warriors stood. As the light passed through the Order members, they had been left unharmed. The Death Eaters, however, had writhed on the ground in agony. One, Lucius Malfoy, had not gone down without one last shot at his enemies.

“Avada Kedavra!” he had screamed out before completely collapsing in a lifeless heap.

Charlie had watched in horror as the green shaft of light headed right for Bill. He ran for his brother wanting desperately to intercept the spell and spare his life. Charlie had looked into Bill’s eyes as the spell hit him. He caught him before he had even hit the ground. Voldemort’s death scream was nothing compared to the grief that had come from Charlie’s voice at that moment.

The Weasley brothers had not moved from that spot in front of the Riddle House for an hour. They were paralyzed with anguish over their fallen brother. Harry had come out of the house at Charlie’s scream. His victory and battle injuries were pushed out of his mind as he saw the scene in front of him. Those ginger heads sobbing together over Bill’s body would be burned in his memory forever.

When Arthur and Molly had Apparated to the scene, the misery deepened as two parents started mourning over their first born son. Molly’s wails made everyone’s hearts want to burst.

The weeks that followed had been a big blur of pain for the Weasley family. They somehow made it through the funeral. Dumbledore had given a beautiful eulogy that left everyone at the funeral sobbing.

Charlie had stayed at the Burrow through Christmas. Molly needed to have her children with her and Charlie couldn’t bear to disappoint her. He would wander around the garden and piddle around the house from early in the morning until late at night. Every time he slept he would wake up after just an hour or two with nightmares about that night.

Charlie had broken the news in early December that he would be returning to work in the new year. He had to get back to something that might take his mind off of the sorrow that permeated his life at the Burrow. Molly was surprisingly supportive of Charlie’s decision. She knew he was hurting with so many reminders of Bill in the house. Everyone needed to get back to normal as much as possible in order to heal.

Charlie expected to finally have some relief once he was back in the Carpathian Mountains where the dragon sanctuary kept its inhabitants safe and hidden. Unfortunately, the weight on his heart remained. He was blessedly distracted during his shift. But once work was done, Charlie was lost.

Charlie’s boss, Emil Petri, noticed the change in his favorite employee. Charlie had always been very good at his job. Emil liked the humility and care with which he worked even more than his skill. A lot of Emil’s employees were danger-seeking, adrenaline junkies with egos the size of a Ukrainian Ironbelly. Charlie’s talent far exceeded that of his co-workers, but his down-to-earth nature made him likable and easy to work with.

Emil enjoyed watching Charlie lead his colleagues. He had a way of guiding them without bruising egos. For the first time in years, he had allowed himself to think of retirement. He could leave with peace of mind knowing that Charlie would run the place well.

Once Charlie returned, Emil watched him closely. The jovial, gregarious person had been replaced by a sullen, introverted man. Emil assumed that time would heal Charlie but his retirement seemed a bit further away now than it had a year ago. Emil knew personally what it took to recover from the loss of someone close. He had lost his own daughter, Lauren, thirty years ago in an attempt to reign in an escaped Common Welsh Green.

Emil started walking the paddocks early one morning to find Charlie working with the new Norwegian Ridgeback. The rest of his team stood in awe as Charlie was able to calm the dragon. Not one spell had to be cast to keep the dragon subdued. Emil was again amazed as he watched Charlie work.

A rumble of thunder caught Emil’s attention. There was a pretty big storm coming in across the mountains. The dragons would have to be situated and sedated quickly to keep them from panicking at the thunderstorm. Most dragons were in their caves still since it was so early in the morning.

“Everyone stay put for a minute while I lead her to her cave,” instructed Charlie. “Then follow me slowly in case I need your help.”

Emil decided to fall in with the workers and make sure all of the dragons were secure.

They were halfway to the cave when a bolt of lightning ripped across the sky. Charlie felt the resulting thunder clap deep in his chest. The thunderclap was quickly followed by the terrified shriek of the dragon. Charlie jumped to the side just in time to avoid the jet of fire that had shot from the dragon’s mouth as she screamed. Another badly timed lightning bolt hit the top of the mountain above them as another thunderbolt sounded simultaneously.

The dragon started flailing around in a panic swiping at the after effects of the lightning bolt that were in her eyes.

“Stunning Spell! On three!” commanded Charlie.

“One, Two,” began Charlie.

In one quick movement, the dragon had spun around and caught Emil with her tail. The older man was thrown 50 feet into the mountainside.

Charlie was able to keep his head as the rest of his team stood horrorstruck.

“Again, on three,” he shouted, “One, Two, Three!”

Seven Stunning Spells hit the dragon at once and it fell to the ground with a heavy thud.

Charlie and his team ran to their leader. He was breathing but obviously hurt badly. Charlie conjured a stretcher and gently levitated Emil onto it. The rest of the team got the Norwegian Ridgeback into her cave as Charlie got Emil to the infirmary.

The healer rushed from his office as Charlie brought Emil into the infirmary. His silence made Charlie nervous. Healer McDavid was usually very talkative and friendly. Dragon tamers spent a lot of time in the infirmary and he knew them all well. McDavid worked quickly as he assessed the damage. Many incantations were uttered and potions were administered. After about an hour of work, McDavid turned to Charlie.

“He had many broken bones and severe head trauma,” explained McDavid.

“Will he recover?” asked Charlie.

“I don’t know,” admitted McDavid. “He seems to be in a coma. We’ll be able to time his recovery better once he wakes.”

“Let me know if there is any news,” requested Charlie. “I’ll go let the guys know what’s going on.”

As Charlie left the infirmary, he found most of the dragon sanctuary’s workers milling around outside the door. They all looked at him expectantly.

“Mr. Petri is stable but in a coma,” Charlie announced.

The small crowd started mumbling to each other at this news.

“Let’s all get back to work,” instructed Charlie. “I want to make sure we get through the rest of this storm without another incident.”

As his coworkers began to leave for their various posts, Charlie noticed a small crowd Apparating near the small building where the offices were located. He groaned as he recognized one of the witches.

Not that bloody Rita Skeeter again! he thought, dreading each step he took towards her.

“Ah! Mr. Weasley,” Rita called across the distance, “We’ve heard that there was a vicious dragon attack.”

Charlie rolled his eyes. Drama, drama, drama “ Must there always be so much drama?

“That is a bit of an overstatement, Ms. Skeeter,” Charlie explained. “Why don’t you all follow me into the office and I’ll give you an accurate account.”

After three hours of explanations and question answering, Charlie emerged from the offices to escort the reporters back out onto the lawn.

He took Rita aside just before she Disapparated back to Witch Weekly.

“I expect an accurate report from you, Skeeter,” Charlie insisted.

“Of course, Mr. Weasley, I am a professional journalist,” retorted Rita.

“I know your level of professionalism, Skeeter. And I’d hate to have to report a little pest problem I know about at Witch Weekly,” threatened Charlie.

Rita paled for just a second at Charlie’s warning but quickly regained her composure.

“I’ll keep that in mind, Mr. Weasley,” she snapped right before Disapparating.

“I’ll have to thank Hermione for that little piece of information,” Charlie muttered to himself as he headed back to the infirmary to check on Emil.

As Charlie lay in bed that night, he was distracted by the day’s events enough to fall asleep quickly. His dreams weren’t as disturbing as usual and he was able to get nine consecutive hours of sleep for the first time in months.




Charlie sat up quickly in bed the next morning. He was not used to waking up in a fully lit room. He usually watched the sun rise as it slowly illuminated his room. He felt energized by the full night’s sleep and dressed quickly so he could go check once again on Emil.

Emil was still unconscious. He seemed to have more color in his face than he had the day before so Charlie decided to take that as a good sign.

Charlie instructed Healer McDavid to contact him in the office if there was any change and headed to breakfast.

He finally got to eat after answering the many questions his co-workers had for him. He told them that he would be in the office if they needed anything. No one was surprised that Charlie was standing in for Mr. Petri while he was injured. He was the best person for the job.

An owl flew in the office window just as Charlie started sifting through the paperwork on Emil’s desk. She dropped the Daily Prophet in front of him and waited patiently for her payment. Luckily, Charlie found five Knuts in the desk. He didn’t carry money with him unless he was going into the village.

Charlie really didn’t want to look at the headlines for the day. He could only imagine how they would portray yesterday’s event. He heaved a huge sigh on relief when he looked at the front page. There was a modest sized article with the headline “Dragon Sanctuary Accident Injures One”. The article was well written with many of Charlie’s quotes included. He just hoped that the other reporters would follow suit.

Charlie spent the rest of the morning taking care of the various reports and evaluations that were waiting on Emil’s desk. He had made excellent progress by lunchtime and decided a break would be in order.

He stopped by the infirmary to check again on Emil.

“He’s moving a bit which may be a good sign,” reported Healer McDavid.

“Good. You know where I am if you need me,” said Charlie.

He spent his lunch listening to the stories of his fellow dragon tamers. They had a pretty calm day since most of the dragons where still subdued from the storms. Some confusion had been experienced with Charlie’s removal from daily tasks in the field but they had handled it expertly.

Charlie’s sense of satisfaction regarding the whole day was growing.

Now if Emil would just wake up, the day would be perfect, Charlie thought.

When he entered his office, he saw a gorgeous snowy owl perched on the back of his chair. He hooted when Charlie entered and held out his leg. Charlie detached the letter and began to unroll it. The owl flew out the window as Charlie did this.

I guess whoever this is from doesn’t need a response, he figured.

He noticed the author’s elegant handwriting as he glanced at the letter. As he began reading, Charlie’s mouth dropped open.

To Whom It May Concern:

I have just read that Emil Petri has been badly injured. I am his daughter and will be arriving soon to be with him. Please arrange for someone to transport me from the train station in Brasov to the sanctuary. I will be arriving tomorrow at 8:00 a.m. Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
Lauren Petri


Charlie sat down at his desk. A picture of Lauren sat on the far corner of the desk. He had never really looked at it before. She looked to be about eighteen or nineteen years old in the picture with long dark hair, pale skin and dark eyes. She just sat smiling and changing her position in the chair every once in a while. Charlie had heard that she had died a long time ago. He had never asked Emil about it. He didn’t feel the subject was appropriate.

Well, I guess whoever told me that was wrong,Charlie thought. And I guess I’m getting up early to go to the train station.




Charlie stood on the train platform at ten minutes until eight the next morning. He was a bit cranky from getting up early and driving for an hour. He watched his breath make little clouds in front of his face. He was still cold even though he had three layers of clothes on under his parka. It had barely gotten below freezing overnight but the wind coming from the mountains made it seem like Antarctica.

Charlie heard a distant whistle and began to pace to pass the time before the train arrived. A couple of minutes later, he could see the train approaching the station. There weren’t many other people on the platform so Charlie assumed there wouldn’t be many passengers on the train.

Hopefully, she won’t be too hard to spot, he thought. Since Lauren would be thirty years older than she was in the picture, Charlie was not sure he would be able to recognize her.

The doors of the train opened and Charlie’s suspicion that there wouldn’t be many passengers was correct. So far, only a few men had exited the train. Charlie caught sight of a woman with long dark hair exiting from the end of the train. He headed her way to get a better look at her.

She looked up and Charlie saw the exact same face that he had seen in the picture the day before. He stopped walking and tried to process what he was seeing.

That can’t be her, Charlie thought. She looks younger than I am.

But the woman smiled at him and kept walking in his direction. She was wearing only jeans, a thin blouse, a light jacket and little high heel boots and had a large duffel bag over her shoulder. She must be freezing! Charlie realized.

“Are you from the dragon sanctuary?” she asked Charlie.

“Are..Are you Lauren?” stammered Charlie.

“Yes, I am,” Lauren answered. “And what is your name?”

“Oh! Charlie, sorry,” he answered. “Forgot my manners there for a minute. Do you have any more luggage?”

“No. This is it. I’d like to get to my father as quickly as possible if you don’t mind,” Lauren answered.

Charlie found himself staring at Lauren as they walked away from the station.

All sorts of questions were popping into Charlie’s head as they began the journey back to the sanctuary. He figured an update on her father should be the first thing he brought up.

“Your father is healing from his injuries,” Charlie began. “But he is in a coma and hadn’t woken up when I left to come get you.”

“What did the Healer say?” asked Lauren.

“Well, he won’t be able to know much until Emil wakes up. His broken bones and the fracture in his skull are healed. Healer McDavid just can’t assess the damage to Emil’s brain until he’s conscious,” reported Charlie.

Lauren sat in silence for a bit while she processed the news. Charlie was content to drive and let her think. Seeing his breath fog up the window reminded him that the heating in the old car didn’t work and that Lauren must be frozen by now.

“Would you like my coat, Lauren?” Charlie offered. “You must be cold.”

“Thank you, but I’m quite warm,” Lauren replied. She laid her hand over his on the steering wheel and not only was it warm, but there seemed to be heat radiating from her.

“I don’t get cold,” she explained.

Charlie didn’t really know what to say after that and the car fell silent again. Now even more questions flooded his mind but he kept them to himself.

Charlie pulled the car right up to the infirmary once they arrived at the sanctuary. Lauren quickly sprinted inside as soon as the car stopped.

When Charlie walked into the infirmary, Lauren was at her father’s bedside. She was holding his hand and whispering in his ear. McDavid had come out of his office to see what was going on. When Lauren raised her head, the healer recognized her and turned very pale.

“Lauren?” he managed to utter.

Lauren smiled at the Healer and nodded.

“What? But, how? When?” he stammered.

“Let me have a few minutes with Dad and I’ll explain,” proposed Lauren.

The Healer just nodded and stumbled back into his office. Charlie followed him and sat down in front of his desk. Charlie thought he looked like he had been hit with a Stunning Spell. Both men sat in silence as they waited for Lauren to join them.

True to her word, Lauren entered the office a few minutes later. She sat down beside Charlie and smiled at the astonished healer. She didn’t seem in a hurry to offer any explanations so McDavid was the first to speak.

“Where have you been all these years?” asked McDavid. “We thought you were dead.”

“I almost was,” Lauren explained. “I had quite a few wounds from the dragon and I had hit my head pretty hard when it dropped me. I couldn’t even remember who I was for the first few weeks after they found me. I started remembering things about my childhood first. Then slowly my memories came back and filled the gap up to the present. It took ten years for me to fully recover.”

“Why didn’t you come back when you remembered what happened?” asked Charlie.

“I can’t explain that to you. I just knew it would be quite a shock for anyone from my past to see me,” answered Lauren. “And there are other circumstances that factor in that I’m not ready to discuss.”

Charlie and Healer McDavid sat back in their chairs. Neither had realized that Lauren’s story had put them on the edge of their seats.

“Well, then,” said McDavid, “I guess we better get you a room set up in here so you can stay near your father.”

“I would appreciate that very much,” said Lauren.

“I’ll go get your bag,” offered Charlie.

“Thank you, Charlie,” Lauren said to his retreating back.

When Charlie came back in the building, Lauren had resumed her previous position beside her father’s bed. Charlie wondered what she was whispering in his ear. Whatever it was, he hoped it would help Emil wake up.

Charlie deposited Lauren’s bag in the room that McDavid showed him. He then went back to Emil’s office to try to get some work done. He wasn’t nearly as productive as he had been the day before, but the desk still seemed to become a little more organized as the morning went on. His eyes kept drifting to the picture at the corner of the desk.

Just after noon, Charlie decided to obey his empty stomach and eat some lunch. Again, he fielded questions from his co-workers about Emil and was unable to give them any more news. He went back up to the serving line and quietly asked for a plate to go.

He found Lauren still beside Emil’s bed but with the head in her hands looking very despondent. She looked up as Charlie entered the room and saw the plate in his hands.

“Oh, thank goodness! I’m starving but I couldn’t leave Dad. You read my mind!” gushed Lauren.

“Is there any change?” asked Charlie.

“No. I keep talking to him hoping that he will recognize my voice and wake up out of surprise if nothing else, but it hasn’t worked yet,” answered Lauren.

“I’m sure it’s helping even if you can’t tell yet,” assured Charlie. “Keep trying. Is there anything else you need while I’m here?”

“No. I’m good now that I have food,” said Lauren. “Will I see you later?”

“I’ll bring you dinner and check up on Emil again. I’ll be in the office. Healer McDavid can send someone if you need me,” responded Charlie.

“Thank you, Charlie,” Lauren mumbled through her full mouth.

An hour later, Charlie had just gotten done with a report to the Ministry of Magic when one of the Healer’s assistants burst through the door.

“Emil’s awake, Charlie!” he announced and ran back out the door.

Charlie sprinted across the grounds and passed the assistant in his rush to get to the infirmary.

He entered to find Lauren smiling at a very confused Emil.

“Am I dead?” Emil asked.

“No, Daddy, you’re very much alive,” responded Lauren.

“How can that be? How can you be here with me if I’m not dead?” argued Emil.

“I’m alive too, Daddy. Everything is going to be okay now,” Lauren assured him.

“I need to examine him,” insisted Healer McDavid. “Please give me a few minutes”

Lauren kissed Emil on the cheek and bounced out of her chair to give the Healer some room. She ran to Charlie and threw her arms around his neck in an excited hug.

“He’s going to be okay!” she squealed in Charlie’s ear.

Charlie just smiled as he held Lauren and smelled the coconut scent of her hair. She broke away after a couple of minutes. She couldn’t stay still in her exhilaration over her father’s recovery. She paced near Charlie for the next few minutes until the Healer emerged from behind the curtains that surrounded Emil’s bed.

“Emil is going to need a lot of rest and time to heal. But he’s going to make a full recovery,” McDavid reported.

Lauren returned to her father’s bedside. Charlie followed her around the curtains. He assured Emil that everything was running smoothly and to relax and get better. Then he made a quick exit so father and daughter could have some much needed time together.

As he left the building, there was a small mob gathered for news on Emil.

“He’s going to be fine,” Charlie conveyed. “He’ll be recovering for quite a while, but we’ll have our boss back in time.”

Everyone cheered and a weight seemed lifted as everyone returned to their work. Charlie felt cheerful for the first time in what seemed like forever. He returned to the office and sped through the rest of the work that remained on his desk.

As the sun started to set, Charlie looked around with satisfaction. Everything was done. The office was organized and clean. And he still had time to visit Emil before dinner.

As Charlie approached the infirmary, Lauren came out the door and stretched in the remaining sunlight.

“I almost forgot what the light of day looked like,” greeted Lauren as Charlie approached.

“I was just coming to check on Emil before I went to dinner,” stated Charlie.

“He’s asleep. I think I overloaded his brain. Will you walk with me to dinner?” asked Lauren.

“Sure,” answered Charlie.

They walked in silence toward the mess hall. Charlie felt lightened by Emil’s improvement. Lauren was enjoying her first walk on the grounds of the sanctuary since she was a teenager. When they entered the mess hall, the startling silence brought on by Lauren’s presence caused both of them to break out of their musings.

“Er, Good evening, everyone,” said Charlie. “This is Lauren, Mr. Petri’s daughter. She’ll be staying with us while her father is recovering. Please make her welcome.”

Charlie then placed his hand on the small of Lauren’s back to guide her to the serving line. The chatter began to slowly return as Charlie and Lauren got their food and found seats.

Lauren sat smiling at Charlie as he dug into his dinner. He wasn’t eloquent, that was sure. But he obviously retained the respect of the people here. When he had steered her through the crowd, she felt protected and safe. It wasn’t a feeling she was accustomed to. She finally turned her attention to her own dinner. The food here was something she definitely had not missed.

Charlie then escorted Lauren back to the infirmary. The past few days were catching up with her quickly and she desperately wanted to sleep. Healer McDavid promised that he would wake Lauren if Emil needed her. She said a drowsy goodnight to him and Charlie before going into her room.

Charlie stared at her door for a few minutes before realizing that Healer McDavid was still tinkering around and probably wondering what Charlie was still doing there. He walked back to his cabin and fell asleep quickly content with his day and his growing friendship with Lauren.




The next morning Charlie found the infirmary empty except for Emil lying on his bed. As Charlie moved closer, he noticed that Emil was twitching slightly and had a look of alarm on his face. He hoped it was just a nightmare and not something more serious. He gently shook Emil’s shoulder to see if he would wake.

Emil’s eyes popped open and began to search the room desperately.

“Lauren! Where’s Lauren?” Emil implored.

“She’s here, Emil. I’ll go get her,” Charlie reassured him.

Charlie knocked on Lauren’s door but did not get a response. He cautiously stuck his head into the room but didn’t see her. There was another door on the other side of the room so Charlie headed for it. He knocked again softly and once more did not get a response. He took a deep breath and stuck his head inside another unknown room.

Lauren stood at the sink wrapped in a large white towel brushing her teeth. Charlie noticed that a light steam appeared to be rising off her shoulders.

That’s odd. The rest of the room isn’t steamy, he thought.

Then he saw Lauren’s right forearm. It was heavily scarred with what appeared to be a large chunk of green dragon skin grafted onto it.

He gasped unwittingly at this discovery and Lauren looked up from the sink to see Charlie in the mirror. Both stood frozen and stunned for a moment.

Lauren broke from her stupor first and yelled, “Get out!”

Charlie quickly closed the door between them. He was about to run from the room when he remembered why he had gone looking for her in the first place.

“Lauren, I’m sorry,” Charlie pleaded. “Your father is asking for you. He needs you right away.”

Lauren flung the door open. She was now in a blue silk robe that Charlie imprudently took in. He forced himself to concentrate on her face but the fury in her eyes made him look quickly to the floor.

“Wait here,” she commanded. “I will be back.”

Charlie nodded in bewildered agreement as she swept out of the room. He looked around for a place to sit and wait. His eyes fell on the unmade bed in the corner.

Definitely not there, he thought as a blush spread across his face.

He then saw the two armchairs that flanked the small fireplace. Both were covered with clothes but were definitely the better option. Charlie moved the clothes to one chair and sat with his head in his hands contemplating what he would say when Lauren returned.

After every idea that had popped into his head had been rejected, Charlie looked into the fireplace. He noticed that it had no ashes in it. The logs sat unscathed in a neat pile. It had been so cold lately, especially at night.

How could she sleep without a fire? he wondered.

Just then, Lauren came back into the room. Her rage seemed to have dissipated but Charlie was afraid to look her in the eye nonetheless. He looked at his feet as he heard Lauren move through the room. He saw her grab clothes off the other chair out of the corner of his eye and heard the door to the bathroom close.

Charlie realized that he had been holding his breath and took the opportunity to recover while Lauren was dressing. She came back in the room and flung herself into the chair next to Charlie.

“I guess you want an explanation,” she snapped.

“Actually, I don’t need one if you don’t want to give one,” Charlie mumbled.

When Charlie looked up at her, Lauren didn’t see the horrified or pitying look that she usually received from those who had discovered her secret. She softened a bit when she realized that for the first time since the accident, she was being accepted without judgment.

Lauren leaned towards Charlie and insisted, “I do want to explain, especially to you.”

She stared for a minute at Charlie wondering where to start. “As I told you my first night here, I was injured very badly just over thirty years ago,” Lauren began.

Charlie nodded and leaned forward in interest.

Lauren took a deep breath and began her story. “We had had a rough day with a new Common Welsh Green who had been kept in a small cage for a year by an extremely foolish wizard family. We had finally been able to subdue him. But soon after everyone had left for a well-earned dinner break, he recovered from our Stunning Spells and broke loose from his bindings while I was standing watch over him.”

Charlie couldn’t help but interrupt, “You should never have been left alone! Where was your partner?”

“He ran to the infirmary to get a bandage. I had discovered a cut on him and sent him to get it. I didn’t think that there was any chance of trouble,” Lauren explained. “Of course, my wand alone was not going to do much to help. So I pulled out a knife and tried to keep a decent space between us. I had to strike at him a couple of times as he swiped at me. One of his strikes took a chunk out of my right arm. I was bleeding heavily and losing the fight to stay conscious. I got a good shot at him on his next swipe. This made him furious. He grabbed me before I could manage to get out of the way. I started stabbing madly in a desperate attempt to free myself. The next thing I remember is a shriek from the dragon and a searing pain in my right arm. Then I passed out.”

Lauren stopped to catch her breath. She didn’t mean to speak so quickly but there was so much to tell. Charlie continued to look at her steadily. There was still no pity or shock in his eyes, but Lauren could tell he was anxious for her to continue.

“I remember brief moments in the air. Each time I woke, I noticed that the dragon was flying lower and lower. He didn’t seem to be doing well. I don’t know what made him drop me or the fall itself. I just remember waking in a bed to hushed whispers. At the time, I couldn’t remember my name. I hurt so bad I couldn’t even move. The wizard who found me, Ezekiel, told me I was safe and to rest. I had no choice but to trust him. He and his wife tended to me over the next months.”

“So what do you think happened to your arm?” Charlie asked.

“I imagine during all the slashing I did with my knife, I took out a piece of his flesh that bonded itself to the gaping gash in my arm. For a long time, it just looked like a big burn over my whole arm. As it healed, we could see the dragon skin.”

“That’s why you haven’t aged, isn’t it?” asked Charlie.

“I’m pretty sure it is. Dragons can live such a long time. As you know, we can’t be sure if it’s their physiology or their magic that makes them live so long. But whatever it is has been passed on to me. I have aged some, though. I can tell. I can usually pass for someone in their mid-twenties. But I haven’t seen a Healer in years so I haven’t gotten an expert medical opinion,” responded Lauren. “I also believe it’s why I don’t get cold. Heat radiates from the dragon skin in my arm. I’m just thankful I don’t breathe fire.”

Charlie tried to suppress a laugh. He wasn’t sure if it was exactly the right time or place to do so.

“You can laugh,” said Lauren. “I’m the one that cracked the joke after all.”

“You are amazing,” remarked Charlie. “I’m sorry I didn’t get to meet you a long time ago.”

“I wish I had come back earlier,” reflected Lauren. “The longer I stayed away, the harder it was to come back. I knew it would be hard for people to adjust to the fact that I seemingly didn’t age. I shouldn’t have been so afraid. I’ve missed too much with Dad.”

“Well, you can make up for lost time now,” said Charlie. “No one around here will be bothered by your gift.”

“My gift,” contemplated Lauren. “No one has referred to it like that before. I like it.”

The two of them sat in silence for a while. Lauren was amazed that he was still so comfortable around her now that he knew. She allowed herself for the first time in thirty years to feel romantic beginnings in heart.

“I better go check on my Dad,” Lauren announced suddenly.

“I’ll go with you,” offered Charlie.

As they stood, Charlie took Lauren into a strong hug. She heard his heart beating as she lingered with her head on his chest. She could have stayed like that forever. Charlie was having similar notions, but made himself end the hug and take a step back. He placed his hand on the small of Lauren’s back to guide her from the room just as he had done at dinner the previous evening.

I could get used to that habit of his, Lauren thought.

Lauren spent the rest of the morning with Emil as Charlie went to go help in the field. It had been a few days since he had worked with the dragons and he found that he missed it. He joined his team who was moving a dragon and her clutch of eggs to a safer location for hatching. It was a tricky job since timeliness was crucial.

The eggs needed their mother’s fire to survive and the mother had to be unconscious for the move. There had to be a perfect timing in the stunning of the mother. She had to stay knocked out long enough to move her, but not so long as to put the eggs in danger. Charlie joined the team just as they were levitating her for the move. The eggs had been successfully transferred to a safer cave that was easier to monitor. Charlie helped guide the team to the cave and settle the mother so that the eggs would be in her line of sight as she woke up.

They moved to a protected location to make sure the mother woke up. It had been twenty minutes since they had stunned the dragon. She needed to wake up very soon in order to heat her eggs. Five more minutes passed and the dragon had not even stirred. Charlie sighed as he realized that he would have to try to revive the dragon. It was not a desirable job even for the most experienced dragon handler. He walked into the cave and pointed his wand at the more vulnerable skin of the dragon’s throat.

Ennervate,” he said in a normal speaking volume.

The dragon moved a bit but did not open her eyes.

Ennervate,” he tried again in a louder voice.

The dragon huffed but still did not wake. Charlie was beginning to worry when Lauren joined him in the cave.

“Can I try?” she asked.

Charlie only managed to nod in his surprise at her appearance.

Ennervate,” Lauren whispered.

As the dragons eyes started to open, Charlie remembered where they were and that they needed to get moving before the dragon fully awakened. He grabbed Lauren’s arm and dragged her from the cave. By the time they reached the rest of the team, the dragon had begun warming her eggs with her fire breath. She didn’t seem to even realize or care that she had been moved.

Charlie looked once more at Lauren with amazement. He couldn’t believe she had woken the dragon with just a whisper. “How did you do that?” he asked.

“I’m sure she was nearly awake from your two Reviving Spells. I just gave her a little extra nudge,” Lauren responded.

Charlie was reminded of the times when his Mother would open jars that his Dad couldn’t budge. She would always say that Arthur had loosened it for her. This seemed to appease his Dad, but the Weasley kids always knew the truth. Charlie has the distinct impression that Lauren had just done the same for him. He laughed to himself at his revelation.

The team decided to take a well deserved lunch break and headed for the mess hall. Lauren and Charlie walked behind the group.

“Thank you for your help,” said Charlie.

“You’re welcome. Thanks for letting me help. It’s been a long time since I’ve gotten to work with dragons,” responded Lauren.

Charlie stopped walking and waited for Lauren to stop and turn to him.

“Can I ask you something, Lauren?” requested Charlie.

“Of course you can,” answered Lauren.

“Can I take you out sometime? Maybe to the village for dinner,” he asked.

Lauren broke out into a bright smile and replied, “I would love to.”




The week sped by as Charlie anticipated the coming weekend. Emil continued to improve steadily. By the end of the week, he was able to sit up for a short amount of time without feeling dizzy. Charlie continued running the administrative office of the sanctuary. Lauren had asked to take Charlie’s place on his team. She was gifted with the dragons and the predominately male dragon tamers came to respect and often admire her.

As Saturday dawned, Charlie was up and dressed before most of the sanctuary’s inhabitants were even close to waking. He took a walk around the sanctuary while it was still quiet. The past couple of weeks had changed Charlie’s perception of the world. Before Lauren had arrived, Charlie couldn’t help seeing the world as a harsh place that didn’t include his brother anymore.

The thought of Bill landed like a weight on Charlie’s heart. He wished he could talk to Bill about Lauren. Bill was much better at dealing with women than Charlie could ever dream of being. He started replaying memories in his head as he walked along. He eventually started up one of the mountain trails. The effort it took to walk up the steep incline mercifully drove everything from his mind.

Charlie finally came up on an area of flat rock where he sat and rested. He couldn’t see the sun yet. It was still on the other side of the mountain so he couldn’t tell what time it was. The climb had cleared his head and he felt much better. Charlie started back down the mountain planning what he and Lauren could do in the village.

As he came out of the mountain pass, Charlie realized it was a lot later than he thought. He broke into a run toward the sanctuary buildings. He popped his head into the mess hall. Breakfast was over so there was no one in there. He ran toward the infirmary.

“Please don’t let her be mad,” Charlie pleaded to no one in particular.

As he came through the door, he found Lauren sitting beside her father having a rather animated chat. Emil looked even stronger today. Lauren turned as she heard Charlie enter.

“There you are! We wondered where you had gone off to,” Lauren exclaimed.

“I’m so sorry! I started with an innocent walk and ended up climbing half way up a mountain,” explained Charlie.

“I hope you’re not too tired for our date, then,” teased Lauren.

Charlie heaved a sigh of relief before responding, “Not at all.”

“I guess you two should be on your way,” suggested Emil.

“Thanks, Dad,” declared Lauren as she kissed him on the cheek. “We’ll come see you when we get back.”

“Have fun!” ordered Emil.

“Yes, sir!” retorted Charlie.

Charlie and Lauren went outside the infirmary before they Apparated to the wizard tavern in the nearby village. When they arrived, Charlie headed toward the exit, but his stomach gave a large rumble that even Lauren heard.

“Would you like to stay and eat something?” suggested Lauren.

“I guess I’d better,” answered Charlie. “I was so frantic to find you once I got back that I forgot all about eating.”

They sat down at a table and ordered. Lauren drank tea as Charlie inhaled his breakfast. She grinned at him as he concentrated on his food. She chatted at him while he nodded in between bites.

Charlie got much more talkative as they strolled down the main street of the village. He told Lauren all about his family and the Burrow. He even told her that Bill had died, though he wasn’t ready to tell the whole story to her yet.

Lauren told Charlie about being raised at the dragon sanctuary. Lauren described her mother as much as she could. She had fleeting memories of her before she died when Lauren was four years old.

Before they knew it, it was getting dark. They had gone through shops throughout the day but had been too centered on each other to make any purchases. Lauren decided to buy her Dad some sweets before Disapparating from the village.

As they walked out of the sweets shop, Charlie took Lauren’s hand. She stopped and turned to him. He looked at a loss for words as she gazed up into his eyes. He finally leaned down to her and kissed her softly on the lips.

He drew back and Lauren’s eyes fluttered open. Charlie was feeling quite pleased with himself for his bravery when Lauren stood on her tiptoes to give him a kiss of her own. This time, Charlie was much surer of himself and wrapped his arms around her waist. Lauren put her free hand into Charlie’s hair as their kiss deepened. The chocolate in her other hand was crushed between them as they held on to each other tightly.

Finally, they separated in need of some air. They kept each other close as they tried to catch their breath. Lauren looked between them to find the rumpled bag of chocolate in her hand. It was crushed to bits and had also melted a bit from the heat of their bodies.

Lauren couldn’t help but laugh and Charlie joined her.

“How am I going to explain this to Dad?” she giggled.

“Err…you sat on it my accident?” Charlie suggested.

“I certainly hope I would know if I was sitting on a bag of chocolate,” retorted Lauren.

“We could go buy some more. He’ll never have to know,” proposed Charlie.

“I think that would be best,” admitted Lauren as she dropped the wreck of a bag into the rubbish bin.

They exited the sweets shop for the second time and went straight to the tavern where they would Disapperate. They couldn’t afford to ruin a second bag of chocolate.

They Apparated right in front of the infirmary so they could deliver Lauren’s gift. They found Emil sitting up eating a small dinner.

“I thought you two would be back soon. Did you have a good time?” asked Emil.

“We did, Dad. And I brought you some contraband,” Lauren answered.

“Ah, most excellent! Thank you, dear,” said Emil.

“You’re welcome. I’m glad to see you eating,” commented Lauren.

“Now that the pain is subsiding a bit, I seem to have more of an appetite,” observed Emil.

“And that will make his recovery move along much quicker,” interrupted Healer McDavid.

Lauren and Charlie smiled at the Healer as he looked approvingly at Emil. They stayed to tell Emil about their visit to the village. Emil started to get sleepy after a bit. Lauren and Charlie excused themselves so Emil could get some rest.

“Good night, Dad. I love you,” said Lauren as she kissed him on the cheek.

“I love you, too,” responded Emil.

“Good night, sir,” said Charlie.

Charlie walked Lauren down the hall to her room and asked, “Do I get a good night kiss, too?”

“You bet you do,” responded Lauren.

Charlie smiled as he leaned into Lauren. He had been eager for another kiss as soon as the first one had ended. In the privacy of Lauren’s room, things got a quite a bit steamier than they had in the village. They had moved from the doorway onto one of the chairs in front of the fireplace. It was a bit crowded but they rather liked the closeness. Lauren rose to straddle Charlie so they wouldn’t be so twisted in the chair. His breathing became incredibly rapid as their kissing intensified.

All of a sudden, Charlie took hold of Lauren’s waist and pushed her gently away. It took a minute for him to regain control of his breathing before he could talk.

“If I don’t go now, I won’t be able to go at all,” he gasped.

“Who says you have to go?” asked Lauren as she started kissing his ear.

“Your father is out there,” he reminded her. “And he is expecting me to come back through the infirmary on my way out.”

Lauren stopped her advances at this thought and sat back on Charlie’s thighs.

“I hadn’t thought of that,” she admitted. “There is no way I’d want to explain that to my Dad!”

They sat in silence for a moment. Neither of them wanted to break contact with the other. With a sigh, Lauren crawled off of Charlie and plopped into the other chair. Charlie stayed where he was. He wasn’t entirely sure if his legs would support him if he stood up.

Lauren finally forced herself out of her chair and offered her hand to Charlie. He took it and rose at the gentle pull of her hand. They walked hand in hand as Charlie made his way to the door. Before he left, Charlie wrapped his arms around Lauren and gave her one last kiss goodnight.

After Lauren closed the door, she couldn’t help but dance around the room in her excitement. Though this dancing could be interpreted as some sort of seizure, it was a necessary release for the happiness that was building in Lauren every time she was with Charlie.

Charlie walked as casually as he could through the infirmary and waved good night to Emil and Healer McDavid. Once he was outside, he felt like he wanted to skip all the way back to his room. He settled for a distinct bounce in his step as he made his way across the grounds.




The rest of winter sped by for Charlie and Lauren. Emil was moved from the infirmary to his quarters. He spent about an hour a day up and about. Emil marveled at how clean and organized his office was now that Charlie had taken the reins. His mind kept returning to thoughts of retirement as he realized how well Charlie was doing.

Charlie was healing as well. Of course, it was his heart and mind that were doing to healing rather than his body. He still missed Bill desperately, but he no longer had the sharp pain that had inhabited his heart from the second Bill died. That anguish had turned into a mere ache that was eased by Lauren’s presence in his life.

Lauren was in her element at the dragon sanctuary. Eggs were due to hatch anytime now that spring was approaching. She loved to watch the new hatchlings as they discovered the world. She wished she could get close to them, but she didn’t want to risk angering the mother dragons. They were a wee bit protective of their offspring. She would settle for spying from a distance.

For the first time in her life, Lauren could fall in love freely. She did not have secrets to hold her back. Charlie knew more about her than anyone. They spent every evening together talking, at least for a little while. They usually couldn’t keep their hands of each other for very long when they were alone together. Some nights though, they found themselves still talking as the sun rose over the mountains. Those nights became some of Charlie and Lauren’s favorite memories from their first year together.

Charlie was sitting in his office completing the compulsory paperwork for the sanctuary when a particularly noisy owl flew in the window. It landed on Charlie’s desk hopping on one leg while sticking out the other. Charlie had a hard time freeing the envelope but ultimately succeeded. As soon as Charlie had the letter in hand, the owl made a hasty retreat out the window.

Charlie thought the owl’s behavior was odd. But upon inspection, the envelope seemed innocuous enough. He had barely started opening the letter when the chaos began. Miniature fire works started swirling through the room accompanied by extremely loud bangs and whistles. Charlie threw the letter back on his desk in his surprise. As he did, the envelope finished opening itself and an invitation flew from it and landed in Charlie’s lap.



Fred & George Weasley will be turning 21!!
We’re going to party
Till people avoid us…
And you’re invited to join us!!


Half of the people in the sanctuary heard the commotion in the office and ran to find out what was happening. They burst through the door to find Charlie doubled over in hysterics. Charlie looked up at the small crowd of people trying to see what the heck with going on and came back to his senses.

“Sorry, guys,” he said. “This is my brothers’ idea of a party invitation.”

Charlie’s co-workers where well aware of the antics of Charlie’s twin brothers and left the office chuckling. Lauren made her way in as everyone was leaving. Though the noise had stopped, the fireworks had lost none of their splendor.

“Well, this just smacks of Fred and George,” commented Lauren. “What did they send you?”

Charlie wiped his eyes before answering, “It’s an invitation to their birthday party.”

“Well, if the invitation is any indication, it should be one heck of a party,” predicted Lauren.

“I’m sure it will be,” agreed Charlie. “Will you come with me and meet my family?”

Lauren couldn’t contain the smile that erupted across her face. She rushed over and sat in Charlie’s lap. “I would be so happy to go with you,” said Lauren punctuating her statement with a kiss.

Lauren took the invitation from Charlie’s hand to examine it herself. She flipped it over to find a note on the back.

“They wrote you a note, too. ‘Mum says we have to have dinner together as a family. Then we’ll hit London and every bar we can find. You better be there or we’ll come get you!’” recited Lauren.

“Subtle, aren’t they?” commented Charlie.

“Definitely,” responded Lauren. “But I’ll bet they’re a lot of fun.”

“They are, but I know you can handle them,” said Charlie. “You’ll love the rest of my family, too. They are excited to meet you.”

“You’ve told them about me?” asked Lauren.

“Of course I have. You’re an important part of my life now. How could I not?” lovingly responded Charlie.

Lauren couldn’t thing of anything she could say that would properly express how she felt at that moment. Instead, she gave Charlie the deepest, most heartfelt kiss he had ever received.




Molly Weasley was cheerier than she had been in many months. Charlie was bringing Lauren with him to the Burrow. Her Charlie had never brought a girl home before. She was so excited so couldn’t sit still, even to knit. She put her energy into even more food and decorations. When Fred and George came downstairs the morning of their birthday, they were stunned by the plethora of banners, streamers and other decorations that spilled from the kitchen into the rest of the house. That kind of excess was usually their doing, not their Mum’s.

“We realize this is a big birthday, Mum,” announced George. “But one good firework and the whole place would go up in flames.”

“Don’t you dare!” ordered Molly.

“Don’t get your knickers in a twist,” remarked Fred. “We’re saving our troublemaking for later tonight.”

Despite the twins’ teasing, Molly was still in a good mood as the rest of the household came down for breakfast. After they were sufficiently stuffed, everyone headed off to work and Molly was left to her own devices.

She couldn’t find another inanimate object to put decorations on. She had prepared more food than even the Weasley clan could eat in one night. For once, Molly was standing in the middle of her home with nothing to do.

This is going to be a long day, she thought.

Sixteen hundred miles away, Charlie was finding it hard to wait as well. He wanted to see his family. But most of all he wanted them to meet Lauren. Nothing in the office could keep his attention for very long, so Charlie decided to go out and see what his team was up to.

He found them observing the hatchlings that had been born recently. One of the hatchlings had spotted the group and kept trying to make its way over to them. The team members were taking turns casting a modified Cushioning Charm that Charlie had created. Charlie had, of course, used a Cushioning Charm on his broom many times while playing Quidditch. He figured out how to cast a stationary one onto the ground to help gently round up baby dragons. When cast, the little dragon would run into a little invisible pillow that would cause him to change directions. A few well-placed charms turned the hatchling around and back toward his mother.

The entertainment that the hatchlings created, nice weather, and good conversation made the day ideal. The day went by mercifully fast. Charlie met Lauren in her room before they started Apparating in stages to get to England. One last Apparition across the ocean brought them to London near the Leaky Cauldron.

As they came through the archway into Diagon Alley, they made a beeline to Fred and George’s shop. There was a big sign outside that read Birthday Sale! Come in and get your April’s Fools needs from the Princes of Prank!

Charlie turned to Lauren and said with mock seriousness, “It’s been nice knowing you. If we don’t make it out alive, just remember that I love you.”

Lauren laughed out loud, but forced herself to imitate his serious tone. “I’ll never forget you, Charlie. I love you, too,” she responded.

They ventured into joke shop holding hands. The twins noticed them straight away even though the shop with crowded with potential pranksters.

“Charlie! You’re here!” exclaimed George as he slapped Charlie on the back.

“It wouldn’t have been a proper birthday without you, mate,” added Fred.

“And this must be Lauren,” declared the twins simultaneously.

“Yes, I am,” she responded. “And I’ve heard many things about you two.”

“Oh, dear, Fred,” proclaimed George. “She’s prepared. We’ll have our work cut out for us.”

“Bring it on,” challenged Lauren with a wink and a mischievous grin.

The eyebrows of both twins shot up at Lauren’s challenge. They were sure they were going to like the addition of her to the festivities.

Fred and George went back to the counter where they announced that the store would be closing shortly. The patrons queued up to make their purchases while Lauren and Charlie waited in the back room.

A few minutes later, the twins joined them in the back room. They managed to find their floo powder in the mess that served as a stockroom. Fred followed George to the Burrow.

“I’ll go first,” offered Charlie. “Wait just a minute before you follow to give me time in case my brothers have cooked up something for your arrival already.”

Charlie’s paranoia was warranted, but Molly had taken care of the twins before he got there. Molly still had Charlie engulfed in a hug when Lauren came through the floo. Charlie took Lauren’s hand as she stepped out and pulled her to his side.

“Mum, this is Lauren,” declared Charlie proudly.

Before she knew it, Lauren was swallowed up by one of Molly’s famous hugs.

“Oh, you are so pretty! I’m so glad you’re here. You must be exhausted after so many Apparitions. Come have a drink and a bite to eat. Sit down!” Molly rambled happily.

As soon as Molly began setting out food, Fred, George and Arthur appeared. Lauren had a wonderful time snacking while learning all sorts of things that Charlie had forgotten to tell her. Of course, Charlie just sat there blushing and embarrassed at the tales that his parents and brothers told.

As dinnertime approached, more Weasleys came through the floo or Apparated in the kitchen. Ginny joined the party from Hogwarts. Dumbledore had allowed her to use the fireplace in his office so she could come to the party. Ron, Hermione and Harry Apparated from London. Lee Jordan and a few of the twins’ friends from Hogwarts Apparated in from different parts of the country. The kitchen became very crowded as the party grew. Charlie caught himself waiting for Bill to arrive.

His heart dove down into his stomach as he remembered once more that Bill would not be at any more parties. It was then that Molly ordered everyone outside to the picnic tables that had been set up in the garden.

Lauren looked closely at Charlie as he rose to go outside. Something had made him suddenly quiet and sullen. That look intensified as they went out the back door. Charlie remembered him and Bill levitating those tables into place for a similar party not that long ago. Bill’s absence lay heavy on Charlie’s heart as he sat down at the table.

Lauren was the only person who took notice of the change in Charlie as the rest of the party was entertained by Fred and George’s antics. The food kept everyone distracted as well. Charlie loaded up his plate out of habit, but found that he had little appetite.

After everyone else was stuffed, George stood up. “Presents!!” he demanded.

Everyone got up to get their presents. Charlie reached into his pocket and pulled out his gift. With a simple charm, he returned the present to its original size. The other guests returned quickly and soon wrapping paper was flying.

The twins were quite happy with their take for the evening and enthusiastically thanked everyone. The young guests started discussing their plans for the rest of the night while Molly magically cleared the table. Charlie headed back up to the house with Lauren right behind him.

Charlie plopped down on one of the low, cushy chairs in the living room. He seemed very deep in his thoughts and Lauren guessed what was going through his mind.
She knew that words wouldn’t be much comfort, but she had to let Charlie know that she was there for him.

Lauren walked to the back of the chair, leaned over and put her arms around Charlie resting her face next to his. Charlie weaved his fingers through hers and they stayed like that for a few minutes.

“You’re going to be sore if you stay bent over like that for much longer,” commented Charlie.

“If it helps you, sweetheart, I’ll stay like this forever,” whispered Lauren in his ear.

Charlie brought Lauren’s hands up over his head and guided her around the chair until she was standing beside him. He then pulled her down on his lap and took her into a tight embrace.

“How could I live without you?” he asked her softly.

“You’ll never have to find out if it’s up to me,” responded Lauren.

“Well, then. I guess the choice is up to me,” hinted Charlie.

Lauren pulled back and looking quizzically at Charlie.

“Marry me, my angel?” asked Charlie.

“I would like nothing more,” answered Lauren.





Author’s Note: Dragon information gleaned from the wonderful Harry Potter Lexicon. Where would we be without it?

Thanks to AmericanGreetings.com for the wording on the invitation. I thought it was fitting for Fred & George.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=31064