Love Conquers Everything by rita_skeeter
Summary: *A story of love, faith and hope when times seem dark.*

The beauty and curse of life is that it always moves onwards. Life waits for no-one, and soon Harry Potter discovers that he has no time to recover from Dumbledore's death. Together with Ron and Hermione, he sets out to destroy the Horcruxes and Voldemort's rise to power.

Yet as the one thing that withstands dark magic begins to crumble, what will Harry's destiny become?
Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: Character Death
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 10 Completed: No Word count: 14346 Read: 31197 Published: 09/08/05 Updated: 06/29/06

1. Letters by rita_skeeter

2. A Disturbance by rita_skeeter

3. Me, Myself and...Ginny by rita_skeeter

4. Wonderful Tonight by rita_skeeter

5. Chaos by rita_skeeter

6. Everyone Has A Weakness by rita_skeeter

7. Trial and Error by rita_skeeter

8. Discoveries by rita_skeeter

9. Hostility and Heartbreak by rita_skeeter

10. What Must Be Left Behind by rita_skeeter

Letters by rita_skeeter

A/N: There isn't a lot of romance in this first chapter, but it does pick up in the next few - don't worry!

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.


Disclaimer: Although I heartily wish Harry Potter was mine, sadly it actually belongs to JK Rowling.


1. Letters

Harry lay limply on his bed, the first of the morning sunlight streaming in through his window. He looked around, his eyes falling on the several unopened letters lying on the desk opposite his bed. Harry quickly turned over to face the wall, willing himself not to think or feel. His eyes filled with tears, but he fought them back, knowing he had to be strong not only for himself, but the entire wizarding world. Wiping his eyes with the sleeve of his pyjamas, Harry heaved himself out of bed, his eyes as heavy as his heart.

Nothing was making a sound. He picked his glasses up from his bedside table and glanced quickly out of the window before sinking into his desk chair, and pulling towards him the letters that had played on his mind for so long. One was addressed to him in a small, neat handwriting he recognised as Hermione’s. Another he recognised as Ron’s, an untidy scrawl that had to be Hagrid, and a Hogwarts letter. At the sight of the last one, Harry felt a lump in his throat and a tingling in his eyes. He threw it aside and focused on opening the other letters.

In a sudden frenzy, Harry ripped open Ron’s letter.

Hi Harry, I hope you’re ok, I know you must need a bit of time to think, but whenever you want to you can come to stay here “ Ginny’s desperate to see you. Mum and Dad are upset, and the whole Order’s in a mess really, they’re trying to carry on as they were, but nothing’s the same. Lupin and Tonks seem quite, erm, happy together even after everything. Hermione’s been writing to me, she says she’s coming over here soon and that she’s gonna write you a letter too. Ginny says she wants to write something at the end of this letter to you. Anyway, hope to see you mate.

Ron.

Harry, Please come over here. It’ll be better for you to be with other people “ and I miss you. I think you’ll agree we have a lot to talk about, so please come.

Ginny

Harry frantically reread the small note from Ginny three or four times, three words in particular jumping out at him “I miss you”. He was suddenly overcome with an overwhelming longing to comfort Ginny, to be with her. No he thought to himself, you can’t. You made a decision. You can’t look back. He turned determinedly towards the next letter, Hermione’s.

Dear Harry, It must be really difficult for you at the moment, I hope you feel alright “ everyone does. It’s been so hard for everyone to keep going, keep fighting. They need you there Harry, you don’t know just how much. I’m going to stay at the Burrow in a few days time; I really hope you’ll be there. Everyone’s here for you Harry “ anytime you want. Ron and I are very worried about you and Mrs Weasley is apparently beside herself, we just hope you’re coping alright. If you do feel like coming, just send an owl and we’ll arrange it. I hope I’ll see you soon Harry.

Love from Hermione

Ron’s and Hermione’s letters were full of sympathy and pleas for him to join them “ exactly what he had wanted to hear the past couple of summers. Now he wasn’t so sure. He reached out for Hagrid’s letter, wondering if he would reply to their letters. He ripped open the envelope and read:

Dear Harry, I’m so proud of you, and I know you’re going through a tough time right now, we all are. Everyone wants to see you, speak to you, check everything’s alright, so they really want you to come to the Burrow and they can fill you in on everything. I might be seeing you later in the holiday, but I won't say too much at the moment. I just hope you’re alright and everything.

Hagrid.

Harry gazed at all three letters and realised that he couldn’t hide away anymore, he couldn’t shut himself off from everyone and pretend nothing had happened. He grabbed a nearby blank piece of parchment and quickly scribbled:

Ron, I’ve decided to come to The Burrow to see you all “ as soon as it’s possible. Just tell me how and when and I’ll come. See you soon,

Harry

Harry turned to let Hedwig out of her cage, and tied the scroll to her legs.

“Get this to Ron, as fast as you can, you know where he lives,” said Harry encouragingly.

Hedwig hooted softly at him in farewell, and took off out of the window. Harry flopped on his bed, gazing at the ceiling, thinking about what he had read. He looked down, and he saw, once again, the letter from Hogwarts. He strode purposefully towards it, reached down and picked it up. He carefully slit the envelope open and a badge fell out. It had the Hogwarts four colours in the background and the words ‘Head Boy’ emblazoned in gold on top. He gazed at it, but not really seeing it at all. After all this, after everything, he had been made Head Boy. Anger suddenly surged through him. He didn’t want to be Head Boy! Not after all this! He flung the badge across the floor and marched across to the window, wanting to lose his emotions, set himself free.

After a long while standing there, his feelings of anger lessening as the sun rose, Harry looked down on the floor at his badge. He began to realise that if there was just one thing he could do for Dumbledore now, it was to help protect the one thing that was so important to him; Hogwarts. Picking up the badge, Harry promised himself that if this was what Dumbledore wanted, then he would do it “ no matter what.


*Charles Caleb Colton

A Disturbance by rita_skeeter

A/N: This chapter has little to do with the main storyline, but it has to be included for locational purposes.

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*


Disclaimer: None of these characters are mine, unfortunately, but the storyline is 100% my creation!


2. A Disturbance

It wasn’t until late the next day that Harry received a reply from Ron. He was squatted on the floor, attempting to find a new quill from the heap of things gathered under the loose floorboard in his room, when he heard the swish of wings and a soft hoot. Looking up, he saw Hedwig perched on his desk, a note tied to her leg.

Harry shot across the room and swiftly took the letter from Hedwig, who immediately flew up to her cage for a rest. His hands trembling, Harry opened the envelope and read the note inside.

Harry, Everyone’s really pleased that you’ve decided to come here “ Hermione’s practically crying, and Ginny’s become all cheerful again! We’ll be coming over on Tuesday night to take you here, and then Mum says we might go to Headquarters a few days later. Expect us at about eight o’clock, but Dad says not to worry if we’re a bit late… So, see you very soon!

Ron.

After reading Ron’s letter through several times more, Harry glanced at the calendar hung opposite him, and realised with a jolt that they were coming that night. A swelling feeling filled his stomach at the thought of seeing his friends…of seeing Ginny… Smiling to himself, Harry dragged his suitcase over to the loose floorboard, and began to fill it with items, ready for his return to The Burrow.

Harry spent the rest of the day packing and excitedly rereading Ron’s latest letter, but also Ginny’s note to him at the foot of the original letter. As evening fell, he began to feel distinctly restless, pacing his room and fiddling with odd objects. He remade his bed five times, cleaned out Hedwig’s cage, unpacked his suitcase then repacked it more neatly, made sure he had got the date right several times, and all the time constantly checking his watch.

Seven o’clock. One hour to go. Half past seven. Half an hour. Quarter to eight. Fifteen minutes. Ten to eight. Ten minutes. Five to eight. Five minutes to go…

Eight o’clock.

Harry peered eagerly out of the window, not sure what to look for. But he did at least expect just a little more than what was there “ nothing.They’re just a little late, that’s all, thought Harry. Nothing to worry about.

First half an hour, then an hour, passed in the same way, Harry feeling more and more wrong-footed as time passed. He eventually decided to leave it and go to sleep. So he sloped off towards his wardrobe, undressed and then got into bed, the happiness and anticipation in his stomach subsiding.

He tossed and turned for a long while, Ron’s, Hermione’s and Ginny’s faces filling his head. Eventually he drifted off to sleep, his heart full of disappointment.

CRASH!

Harry woke with a start. Looking up, Harry saw Mr Weasley peering over his head, trying to determine if Harry was awake.

“Oh, you are awake Harry,” said Mr Weasley in relief. “Well, I suppose it’s not surprising, given the racket Ron has made!”

Putting on his glasses, Harry looked around. There, sprawled at the foot of his wardrobe, was Ron, who had evidently made the crashing sound.

“Sorry we came so late, Harry, it’s just Dad was doing something nearly all night, he only just got back 5 minutes ago!” apologised Ron.

Harry grinned and clambered out of bed. He walked over to Ron and pulled him up, then turned to Mr Weasley, who was inspecting his alarm clock.

“So are we, um, leaving?” asked Harry.

“Oh, yes!” said Mr Weasley. “You’d better get changed. We’ll wait out in the hallway.”

Harry quickly selected some clothes, dressed and collected all his things together. Hedwig hooted indignantly as he woke her up, but Harry fed her an owl treat and stroked her until she calmed down. Ron and Mr Weasley returned to his room, shutting the door quietly behind them, careful not to make enough noise to wake the Dursleys.

“We’ll be Apparating, Harry, even though you’re not strictly speaking supposed to, since you haven’t passed your test…but Ron tells me you can already do it, so…” Mr Weasley trailed off, smiling. Harry grinned, and grabbed his things.

“Ron you first, then Harry, and I’ll follow,” stated Mr Weasley.

CRACK. Ron was gone. Harry took a deep breath, and before he knew it, he was at The Burrow. Mr Weasley appeared right by him, and they walked up to the house. Harry followed Ron up to his room, and collapsed onto the bed he always slept on. They both undressed and climbed into bed. Just as they were about to go to sleep, Ron remarked, “Ginny will be thrilled when she sees you “ you’ll see!”

Harry laughed, Ginny’s face filling his head as he drifted off to sleep.


*Charles Caleb Colton

Me, Myself and...Ginny by rita_skeeter

A/N: H/G shippers will especially enjoy this chapter...R/Hr, you'll just have to wait...

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*


Disclaimer: None of places/characters are mine, I'm sure you all know who owns them...


3. Me, Myself and…Ginny

Harry woke to the sound of Hedwig and Pigwidgeon hooting loudly. He rubbed his eyes, put on his glasses, and went to feed them, a faint smile playing around his face. He was at The Burrow “ where all his friends were. He hadn’t felt so happy all holiday.

“Harry, mate, what are you doing? It’s only…” Ron peered, blurry-eyed, at his watch. “…ten o'clock! Maybe we should get up!” he gasped.

Harry dressed and proceeded downstairs, attempting to flatten his hair and smooth the creases out of his top. He tried out different ways of greeting everyone in his head, but none sounded good enough. Full of nerves, Harry entered the kitchen.

“Harry!” screamed Hermione. “You’re here!”

“Uh, yeah…” grinned Harry.

“Hello Harry dear, how are you?” inquired Mrs Weasley.

“I’m fine, er “ great, in fact, do you know where Ginny is?”

“Oh yes, of course dear, you’ll want to speak to her, she’s in the garden,” replied Mrs Weasley.

Harry smiled gratefully at her and headed out of the back door into the garden. He immediately spotted a tuft of flaming red in amongst the greenery of the plants. Creeping up to Ginny, Harry could see her hair glimmering in the sunlight. When he reached her, he placed his hands over her eyes. She jumped in shock.

“Guess who,” teased Harry.

“W-what? Harry?!” Ginny’s voice rose in excitement.

Harry peeled his hands away from her face, and turned her head towards him. He couldn’t help but notice how beautiful her eyes were, and how warm he felt when she smiled at him.

“Harry!” Ginny flung her arms around him.

“Ginny…” he murmured longingly as he held her close to his body.

*

Harry spent the rest of the day chatting and playing Quidditch with the others in the orchard. Fred and George joined them in the late afternoon, and they played some memorable matches in which Harry managed to thrash the opposing team every time, no matter who he was with. They eventually trouped into the house, cold and exhausted, but still laughing about the events of that day. Everyone was very glad to see supper waiting for them on the table, so they all sat down to excellent and filling meal.

After eating all they could, everybody left to get changed into warmer clothes, then congregated around the fire, reading, playing chess, knitting and talking happily. Harry was sat in a squashy, comfortable armchair, reading ‘Quidditch: The Supreme Sport’, his birthday present from Hermione. He looked over to where Ginny was, playing with Crookshanks and chatting casually to Hermione, who was curled up with ‘The Standard Book of Spells Grade Seven’. Ginny’s eyes sparkled in the firelight, her delicate fingers running repeatedly down Crookshank’s back. Harry shook his head and returned to reading, not knowing that Ron had been watching him while his Queen bashed Fred’s Bishop to the ground.

Hours later, people began heading up to bed. Harry left shortly after Ginny, and as he was walking upstairs, Ginny called out to him.

“Harry! Harry! Come in here! I need to talk to you!”

Harry looked around and saw Ginny beckoning him into a room he had never noticed before. As he hastily entered, he saw that the room was completely bare, though there was a strong smell of wet paint.

“I’ve never seen this room before,” remarked Harry.

“It’s never really been used,” admitted Ginny. “Mum and Dad just decided to paint it recently. Look, Harry this is not why I asked you to come in here.”

“I know,” he replied. “You said you wanted to talk to me.”

“Yes, about - about us, Harry.”

“No “ Ginny, we can’t -”

“Why not?” she asked fiercely. “Harry, I don’t care what you think is best for me! I want to be with you!”

“Yes, but I can’t put you in danger like that! You - you wouldn’t understand…”

“Oh wouldn’t I? Fine then, explain to me!”

Harry stared at her for a long time, her eyes full of a steely, determined glint. He looked away and strode to the window on the opposite wall. “I can’t bare the thought of you getting hurt, all because of me, because I couldn’t stop myself…”

“Harry,” said Ginny, more gently. “Don’t you understand? I don’t care! Not being with you is what will destroy me, more than any physical harm.”

“But Voldemort is sure to attack you if you’re my girlfriend!” protested Harry.

“Harry, Voldemort came after me in your second year even when all I was to you was your best friend’s little sister! Why will it make a difference now?” Ginny pointed out.

Harry walked over to Ginny, his heart aching for her. “But Ginny-”

Before he could finish, Ginny had pulled him towards her and kissed him passionately. Harry felt an electricity pulse through his body. He wrapped his arms around Ginny’s back, feeling as though every fibre of his being was in this very kiss. They broke apart, and from the smile in Ginny’s eyes, Harry knew this was the only way it should be.


*Charles Caleb Colton

Wonderful Tonight by rita_skeeter

A/N: I hope you enjoy reading this chapter as much as I enjoyed writing it!


Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*



Disclaimer: I do not own any Harry Potter places or characters, and the title 'Wonderful Tonight' along with its lyrics, belong to Eric Clapton - not me.



4. Wonderful Tonight


Harry woke up the next morning, feeling light-hearted and content. He had finally been able to show Ginny just how much he cared last night, and he felt so much better for it. Everything was silent, except for Ron’s heavy breathing, so Harry crept out of the room, wincing at every creaking floorboard. He managed to slip out of the door without waking Ron, so he made his way quietly down the stairs towards Ginny’s room. Harry stood just outside the door, his heart doing somersaults. He pushed the door open and sidled into the room.


Ginny was sat on her windowsill, watching the world wake up. Her head swung round when she heard the door creak, and she beamed when she saw who it was.


“Harry…I wasn’t expecting you…”


“Not too bad a surprise I hope?” enquired Harry.


“How could anything be less than perfect when it involves you?” replied Ginny.


Harry strolled over to the window and kissed Ginny tenderly, before sitting down opposite her on the windowsill and taking her hand.


“I have something to ask you,” said Ginny. “It’s about Ron. When are we going to tell him?”


“Um…” mumbled Harry, avoiding the question.


“We are going to tell him, aren’t we?” asked Ginny in a warning voice.


“Well, yes, eventually of course…wouldn’t dream of not saying anything…”


“But what about now? We can’t hide it from him!”


“We can’t?” pleaded Harry.


“No! Tell him today “ I don’t care when,” demanded Ginny.


Harry sighed. He knew Ginny was right, but that thought didn’t much comfort him.


“So Harry, do you know who the Head Boy is?” asked Ginny in an innocent voice. “I know it’s not Ron “ he said it didn’t bother him, but I reckon it did a bit.”


“Well, yeah I do know who it is actually…”


“Oh yes?” she said sweetly, eyebrows raised. “Why would that be then?”


Harry smiled at her, realising that she already knew. “Yes, it’s me Ginny, but don’t tell anyone!”


“I knew it! As soon as Ron told us he hadn’t got it, I just had this feeling…I bet you can guess who the Head Girl is…”


“Hermione?” suggested Harry in a mock-puzzled voice.


“Who else would it be?” Ginny laughed.


“Um, well it could have been Parvati “ now she’s one stunning girl…prettiest girl I know…” teased Harry.


Ginny slapped his hand playfully, grinning. “Well, come to think of it “ that Seamus isn’t bad-looking…” They both laughed.


“But Harry, there’s something I don’t understand. Hermione told me that you didn’t want to come back to Hogwarts this year…now you sound like you are…” Ginny trailed off.


“Well…I guess I’m doing it for…for Dumbledore…”


There was silence. Ginny gazed at Harry, gently squeezing his hand. “I think that’s really brave Harry...” she said after a while. Harry looked down at her hand, wrapped in his.


“That’s why I love you…” murmured Ginny.


Harry’s head jerked up. Ginny blushed, looking away, but Harry turned her head back again. “Say that again,” he whispered.


“Oh, it’s nothing…”


“Ginny “ it’s everything…because…well…”


“Yes, Harry James Potter?” enquired Ginny, raising her eyebrows.


“I think you already know…”


“Maybe I do…or maybe I just need to hear you say it…”


“I…I love you Ginny.”


Harry leaned in and kissed Ginny, happiness flaring up inside him.


“So when exactly were you planning to tell me?” demanded a voice from the door.


Harry and Ginny hastily broke apart, whipping their hands away, trying to look innocent. They stared at the doorway, Harry with a sinking feeling in his heart. Ron’s eyes looked back at them, a smile playing around his face. Harry’s feeling of foreboding left him as he grinned sheepishly back.


“I was going to tell you…” insisted Harry.


At this, Ron began laughing, Harry and Ginny joining in after a few moments. Harry was overcome with relief at Ron’s reaction, and the knowledge that Ginny was in love with him.


*


Later that day, when everyone was sat at lunch, Mrs Weasley announced that she would be holding a party that night at The Burrow.


“You know, a sort of ‘coming of age’ party for you three,” she suggested, pointing at Harry, Ron and Hermione. “I thought I’d invite some of the Order, and Fred and George of course.”


“Sounds great,” replied Ron, looking at the others.


“Yeah, good idea,” added Harry enthusiastically.


“Brilliant!” beamed Hermione.


“Ok, right then, I’ll organise it right away! And no, Ron, you don’t have to wear dress robes if you don’t want to “ it’s not a very formal occasion,” stated Mrs Weasley, disappearing out of the door.


*


Harry could hear footsteps coming from outside and a knocking at the door. Music was playing downstairs, and the smell of delicious food was wafting up the stairs. Harry was sat on his bed, watching Ron struggle to put on a tie, and thinking how odd it felt to be wearing Muggle suits rather than robes.


“This…stupid…thing won’t…LOOP THROUGH!” shouted Ron, fiddling with the slippery material.


Harry laughed, and walked over to Ron to help him with it. He could hear the low hum of voices from downstairs and the odd burst of laughter. His insides were writhing like snakes at the thought of going downstairs. Mrs Weasley had organised a small dance contest (judged by herself and Mr Weasley) with a buffet. Around thirty Order members had been invited, and everyone would pair up to dance. Mrs Weasley had insisted that Harry and Ron join in, even after their protests. Naturally, Harry paired up with Ginny, so Ron was to go with Hermione. And now there they were, preparing to dance, and Harry was full of nerves.


“So, um, should we go down?” asked Ron once Harry had finished doing his tie.


“I guess…” replied Harry apprehensively.


They exchanged ‘good luck’ glances, then proceeded downstairs.


The place was packed. Harry could see some of the guests were out in the garden, for it was a balmy evening and the sun was still up. He felt a tapping on his shoulder, and he turned to see Ginny, looking stunning in a marine blue dress.


“Wow…” was all Harry managed to say, and Ginny ran up to him, planting a kiss on his lips.


Elsewhere, Ron was waiting nervously at the bottom of the stairs, fiddling with his tie, smoothing his hair and checking his watch. He heard a creak of the stairs, and looked up to see Hermione in a beautiful emerald dress creeping down quietly, trying to avoid attention. Ron was lost for words. He gazed at Hermione, a vacant smile on his face, until she laughed and offered him her arm.


“Hermione, you “ you look…” he stuttered. “Wonderful tonight!” He took her arm and strode forwards, not noticing the blush of colour on Hermione’s cheek, or her sudden delighted smile.


“Thank you, Ron,” she replied in a soft voice. She looked over to where Harry and Ginny were stood, hand in hand. “I didn’t know Harry and Ginny were back together!” she remarked in surprise.


“Neither did I until I walked in on them…”


They both laughed, and went to greet Lupin, arm in arm.


*


The dance contest was almost over. Harry and Ginny had been standing out for a long while, thanks to Harry’s clumsy footwork, but Ron and Hermione had survived until the final five before being eliminated. Now it was down to just two couples “ Fred and Angelina Johnson (who was now his girlfriend) and Lupin and Tonks.


“Quiet please!” called Mrs Weasley. “We have selected the winning couple. If they would please step forward for a spotlight dance…Remus and Tonks!”


Everyone began clapping, before watching Lupin and Tonks (who was not so clumsy on the dance floor as in day-to-day life) dance together.


After a moment, Hermione turned to Ron. “Do you fancy a walk?” she asked.


“Um, ok,” agreed Ron, slightly taken aback.


They began walking down the drive towards the lake that was just outside the village, talking happily as they went. Once they reached the bank, Hermione sat down, hugging her knees whilst Ron wandered around the water. When he returned to where Hermione was sat, he saw tears rolling silently down her face. He immediately knelt down beside her, looking worried.


“What’s wrong?” he asked, concernedly.


“Oh, it’s just everything! The Order’s all messed up, Harry’s not going back to Hogwarts, and Dumbledore’s…well…” she trailed off


“Look, it’s alright,” comforted Ron. “In fact, Harry is going back to Hogwarts “ don’t worry. I heard him telling Ginny the other day, and the Order’s getting on ok, it’s surviving, growing stronger again. You don’t need to cry.”


Hermione smiled at Ron through her tears. “You’re right. I shouldn’t…” she wiped her face with the back of her hand. “Thanks, Ron.” She pulled him into a tight hug.


“Don’t worry,” he murmured. “It’ll all be ok.” He kissed her forehead reassuringly.


For a long time afterwards, Hermione thought a lot about the moment they shared. She could still feel the soft touch of his lips on her forehead.



And then I tell her
As I turn out the light,
I say my darling, you were wonderful tonight
Oh my darling, you were wonderful tonight.



*Charles Caleb Colton

Chaos by rita_skeeter

A/N: What can I say...enjoy!

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*


Disclaimer: I do not own Harry Potter or his world. If you don't know who does, well...visit www.jkrowling.com. That'll give you a few pointers.


5. Chaos

Harry woke up and saw immediately that Ron was troubled. He sat up and looked over at where his best friend was sat on the end of his bed, breaking owl treats into tiny bits. Why is he so anxious? thought Harry.

“Ron? Mate, are you alright?” Harry asked cautiously.

Ron jumped. “Oh, Harry you’re awake! Sorry, what did you say?” gabbled Ron hurriedly.

“I asked if you were ok “ you look kind of, well, nervous,” said Harry cautiously.

“What? Me? No, I’m fine, Harry, just fine. Nothing’s wrong “ don’t worry. See you downstairs!” insisted Ron, before he fled through the door and down the staircase.

But Harry was worried. Something had definitely happened.

*

Ginny sat up in bed, watching as Hermione folded and refolded her robes, with more ferocity each time. Eventually, she chucked them unceremoniously into her trunk and grumbled to herself quietly. She looked over at Ginny’s bed, and was shocked to see her awake, watching patiently as Hermione screwed up her robes.

“Tell me,” Ginny demanded.

“Tell you? Tell you what?” asked Hermione, looking flustered.

Ginny simply stared insistently at Hermione, determined to hear what was bothering her. Hermione took this opportunity to walk out of the door, and therefore avoid any more intrusive questions.

Gazing after her, dumbfounded, Ginny made a silent promise to herself. I will find out. Somehow.

*

The rest of the morning was a blur “ shouts of frustration, screeches of impatience and grumbles as everyone prepared to leave for Hogwarts. Harry’s trunk was at exploding point, thanks to all the new books he required for his final year of study. Hermione finally lost the battle with her trunk and consented to bring an extra one this year.

The Ministry cars had been hired out again, and once more they were running late. Despite this, as Harry was lugging his trunk down the stairs, he felt a tug on his arm and caught sight of a flash of red hair from the direction of Ginny’s room. Grinning sheepishly, he abandoned his trunk and slipped into Ginny’s room.

He spotted her lying provocatively on her bed, twisting her hair around her index finger and smiling at him. He shut the door behind him, heat rising in his face, as Ginny got up and walked over to him. She kissed him fiercely, then pinned him up against the door, weaving her hands through his hair. Harry responded immediately, slightly surprised at her haste, but happily obliging. After a while, they broke apart.

“Ginny, isn’t this a little, um…fast?” he asked delicately.

“Did you enjoy it? Did it feel right?” she questioned.

“Well, yes…”

“Then surely it’s fine…” she concluded, and resumed kissing him passionately.

“Wow, Ginny, why all of a sudden then?” gasped Harry, determinedly wrenching her from his lips.

“Harry, think about it, we’ll be at Hogwarts in a few hours, and once we’re there we’ll get no privacy at all “ and just think, if Ron walked in on us…” she pointed out.

“Excellent thought,” replied Harry, kissing her neck.

Harry left reluctantly about ten minutes later. Mrs Weasley had come knocking on Ginny’s door, advising them both to ‘get a move on or they’d make everyone late’. They hurriedly did as she said, glad that everything was too hectic for her to notice their flushed cheeks and Harry’s tousled hair.

They all endured a tense ride to Kings Cross, during which Mrs Weasley kept up a constant stream of reprimands and warnings. Harry noticed Ron glancing furtively at Hermione, and her staring at him with a searching face. He felt sure this was something to do with Ron’s behaviour that morning.

Everyone paired up and slipped through the barrier as soon as they reached the station, as usual Harry went with Mr Weasley. He chatted casually to him as they leant against the barrier, and before he knew it, the Hogwarts Express came into sight. With a sudden sense of shock, Harry realised that this would be the last time he would ride the train to school. He heard a sigh behind him, and turned to see Ron and Hermione standing behind him, staring reminiscently at the scarlet steam engine, evidently thinking exactly what he had just been.

“It feels just like my first day,” remarked Hermione. “I don’t know what to expect from this year, and I’m nervous about how it will go…how it’ll end…” she looked close to tears.

“This feels really weird,” agreed Ron. “It seems like it was yesterday when I first met you both…I can’t believe it’s been seven years!”

“Six,” corrected Hermione.

“What?” Ron looked confused.

“It’s been six years, not seven Ron!” she explained, smiling irritatingly.

“Oh ha ha Hermione, you just love correcting Harry and me…” replied Ron sarcastically.

Harry laughed. It was so true. “Let’s go and find a compartment,” he suggested.

“Um, well, sorry Harry, Ron, but I have to go “ I have to go and talk to the Prefects…I’m, well…” she reached into a pocket and withdrew a circular badge with four colours on it, and gold lettering reading ‘Head Girl’.

Harry suddenly remembered. His badge! Where was it?

“Oh yeah, I forgot,” mumbled Ron. “Well, see you two later…” He drifted off in the direction of the end of the train.

“Wait, Ron, why are you going?” yelled Harry, desperate to find out how he had known that Harry was Head Boy.

“Well, you two need to sort the Prefects,” he called back.

“Who says I’m Head Boy?” questioned Harry.

“Oh, come on Harry, I’m not thick! See you later!” he bellowed, smiling at them both. Harry grinned back at him, then at Hermione.

“Harry?” she said slowly. “Where’s your badge?”

“Oh, that,” replied Harry. He had just remembered a few moments ago where it was. “In the pocket of my robes.”

“And they are?”

“In my trunk.”

Hermione groaned.

*

Harry eventually retrieved his badge from his suitcase, just as the train began to move. He ran to the nearest window, and waved goodbye to Mr and Mrs Weasley. After they faded from sight, he hastily went to find Ginny, gave her a quick kiss and said hello to Neville, Luna and Ron, who were all sat in the same compartment as her. He then followed Hermione to the compartment at the front of the train, where Professor McGonagall was sat, waiting for them.

“Right, now you’re here, Mr Potter, Miss Granger, I’ll explain what you have to do,” she announced sternly. After a few minutes, she had finished and smiled warmly at them. “Good luck,” she said fondly, then left.

*

After completing their responsibilities, Harry and Hermione returned to the compartment right at the back of the train, and rejoined Ron, Neville, Luna and Ginny. They all laughed and joked happily, and Luna shared some of the contents of the September issue of The Quibbler, Hermione biting back her comments. When it became dark, everyone changed into their robes, and Harry and Hermione pinned their badges to their robes.

As they pulled into Hogsmeade station, they all left the compartment, but Ginny held Harry back. She kissed him, then whispered in his ear, “Did you notice anything odd about Ron this morning?”

“Yeah, actually I did,” Harry replied, slightly surprised.

“Well, Hermione was acting strangely too.”

“You don’t think - no…” Harry gasped.

“Maybe, maybe not…we’ll just have to wait and see!” laughed Ginny. With that, she kissed Harry again, before dragging him off the train.

Harry let himself be lead onto the platform and, casting an eye over all the students, spotted Ron and Hermione. He saw them over by a carriage, evidently arguing already.

This should be an interesting year, thought Harry.


*Charles Caleb Colton

Everyone Has A Weakness by rita_skeeter

A/N: Thanks for the encouragement in the reviews for last chapter, I really appreciate it! I've actually added a new chapter into my original plan, because this one was going to be really long, so I split it up.

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*


Disclaimer: There's a person called JK Rowling who would be a little annoyed if I took credit for her stories...and I can't afford the legal fees.


6. Everyone Has A Weakness

Harry entered the Great Hall and ambled over to the Gryffindor table, avoiding the gazes of intrigued students. As he passed the Slytherin table, he heard scoffing and disbelieving voices as they spotted his badge. But Harry was way past the stage when he would have been angered by this, and continued walking. When he reached the Gryffindor table he sat down between Ron and Hermione, who were staring determinedly in opposite directions. Sighing wearily, Harry scanned the staff table.

He saw that Professor McGonagall was sat where Dumbledore should have been, and Professor Flitwick was missing. Evidently the job of greeting the first years had been given to him, now that McGonagall was Headmistress. Harry also noticed a not altogether new face at the table “ Tonks! That had to mean…Harry studied the teachers’ table once again, and realised with a leap of joy that Snape was no longer there. This feeling was almost immediately flooded with an irrational amount of hate and anger. Just the thought of Snape made him sick. Dumbledore’s…killer.

Never before had Harry found someone he wanted to kill as much as Voldemort. Yes, it all came back to him. Voldemort had caused the death of his parents, his godfather and his mentor, and now he wanted to kill Harry too.

Harry wrenched himself out of these murderous thoughts as Professor McGonagall rose to speak. The hall fell into an uneasy silence; it was just so odd without Dumbledore.

“Well, enjoy the food everyone!” announced Professor McGonagall in a light-hearted -although not completely convincing voice.

The platters and dishes filled themselves as she spoke, and everyone began eating, for the simple reason that it was the easiest thing to do. Everything was so awkward…it just wasn’t the same. Knowing that Ron and Hermione would want to say something about this, Harry turned expectantly to them, but they had both launched into eating, therefore cutting off any possible conversation. Harry looked between them, and knew that if he didn’t find out what had happened the previous night, the sudden uneasiness between them would never be banished. Well, that was a project for the next day. For now, Harry concentrated on his own interests “ food.

After a filling, though uncomfortable meal, Professor McGonagall rose to speak again, but the Great Hall was so quiet anyway, there was barely a change in the noise level.

“Well, as you have all finished,” she began, uncertainly; “we’ll proceed to other matters. As you all know by now, we suffered a terrible loss last year. Professor Dumbledore was taken from us in an awful, unimaginable fashion. Hopefully, we can pick ourselves up and begin again after this. We all know that is what he would have wanted.” She smiled weakly, looking over to where Harry, Ron and Hermione sat. “And now, onto the more trivial things. To all first-years, the Forbidden Forest on the edge of the grounds is out of bounds to all students. Including those in other years!” she lectured, looking in particular at the Gryffindor table. Harry saw Ginny blush, and smile cheekily.

“Even tighter security measures have been placed on the castle, so I do not advise you try and do anything foolish. Any of you! Finally, we have a new staff appointment. Please welcome Nymphadora Tonks, who will be taking the place of Professor Snape this year.” These words were greeted with much clapping and cheering, particularly from the Gryffindor table. Harry looked over to the Slytherins, and saw many glum faces, most refusing to clap. He smiled to himself. Ha. Let's see how well you do now that Snape isn’t here to protect you. After the cheering and clapping had died down, Professor McGonagall ordered them to bed, and everybody happily obliged, the Great Hall now filling with the usual talk.

“She looks much happier than she did last year,” remarked Hermione as they got up from the table. “It should be really good having her teaching us this year!”

“Yeah,” agreed Harry, grinning. “It should.”

*

As he climbed the marble stairs wearily, Harry’s mind wandered to the subject of Horcruxes. After sitting through the feast, everyone’s mind quite obviously on nothing but Dumbledore, the memory of the fake Horcrux had invaded his, until then, relaxed mind. Now, the memories swamping his vision, he once again ran through the list of remaining Horcruxes.

The cup…the locket…the snake…something of Gryffindor’s or Ravenclaw’s…

Quite suddenly, Harry’s thoughts were cruelly interrupted by a disturbing memory. Dumbledore, slumped at the bottom of the wall, wandless and helpless. He saw once again, a man with greasy black hair raising his wand… “AVADA KEDAVRA!”

The words penetrated his mind so powerfully that Harry buckled, and almost fell as he climbed the endless stairs that led to Gryffindor Tower.

“Harry? Harry! Are you ok?” he heard Hermione asking anxiously.

“Fine…fine…” he managed to stutter awkwardly, but an odd buzzing of disbelief filled his head. He couldn’t quite accept it…after a whole year…why now?

He continued up, trying to ignore the stares he was attracting. Finally, he had had enough.

“Er…Ron, Hermione, you go on ahead, I’m just going to…” he pointed vaguely at an empty classroom. They both nodded, although looking a little confused. Ron’s mouth began to open questioningly.

“I’m fine,” Harry insisted firmly, before Ron could speak. “I’ll see you a bit later.”

Harry headed towards a vacant classroom, and hurriedly slipped inside, closing the door soundlessly behind him. He stared around, realising with a jolt of sadness and joy, that it was the very classroom that he had discovered the Mirror of Erised in, in his first year at Hogwarts. It all became too much. The thought of Dumbledore filled his head, and before he knew it, Harry’s eyes were streaming as he slumped at the foot of the door.

No! he thought to himself. You’re beyond this now! You’ve moved on…you’ve accepted it! Why am I slipping back to where I was a month ago?

But these thoughts did nothing but fuel his tears. How long he sat there, even Harry did not know. Finally, he pulled himself together and wiped his eyes on his sleeve, cursing his own weakness.

He could hear the echo of a wise old voice in his head.

“It’s alright to cry Harry, even the best of us have our weaknesses,” he could hear Dumbledore telling him.

With a gasp of horror, Harry felt what he had on the stairs, just a while before. It disturbed him even more this time, for he knew now for certain that it had happened. The thought filled him with dread.

Harry winced as, once more, a white sharp pain shot through his scar, and high-pitched laughter filled his head.


*Charles Caleb Colton

Trial and Error by rita_skeeter

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*


Disclaimer: I owe it all to the almighty JK Rowling.


7. Trial and Error

During the next few days, Harry tried to act as normal as possible. He hadn’t told anyone about his scar, and he liked it that way. No-one made a fuss, although he occasionally caught Hermione looking at him questioningly, almost worriedly. But whenever she realised that Harry was watching, she always looked hastily away again.

Harry decided to push it to the back of his mind. It hadn’t happened again after that night, and everything was just too calm and happy to be ruined.

Ron and Hermione’s strange behaviour towards each other had continued into the first days of term, and both Ginny and Harry were determined to discover what had truly happened on the night of the party. They hatched a plan.

“Right,” announced Ginny in low voice, “now I know they’re hiding something, so I’ve decided what we’re going to do in order to find out exactly what it is.”

They were sat in the library together on the third day back, Harry finishing his Herbology essay, Ginny filling out her unfinished star chart. Ron had already gone to lunch, and Hermione was sitting just a few tables away from them, her head in her hands.

“Why do you get to decide what we do?” Harry said, grinning.

“Do you have any better ideas?” she replied, flashing him a sarcastic smile, but winking all the same.

“Ooh, I don’t want to get on the wrong side of you,” laughed Harry.

Ginny raised her eyebrows teasingly, and then continued, “Look, over there. Hermione’s all alone on that table. I’m going to go and talk to her, maybe persuade her into a heart-to-heart. Meanwhile, you are going to find my brother and chat casually about the night of the party. Start with something unrelated to their ‘incident’, let’s call it, and then work from there. Ok?”

“Um, yeah I think so…but what if it doesn’t work? What do I say then?”

“Act normally of course, as though you weren’t trying to get anything out of him,” Ginny said in an exasperated voice.

“Then what’s the point of this?” asked Harry incredulously.

“It’s called trial and error,” replied Ginny simply. “Do you want to find out or not?”

“Of course I do.”

“Well then, what’s the problem?”

“Right,” said Harry through gritted teeth, getting up from the table and putting his books away. “Trial and error. Got it.”

*

It was a while later, in the Great Hall, when Harry finally broached the subject with Ron.

“Tonks is a really good Defence Against the Dark Arts teacher isn’t she? And a dancing queen too!” Harry forced himself to laugh. “That was a great night wasn’t it?” He sounded oddly high-pitched.

“Yeah,” agreed Ron faintly, staring glassy-eyed at the platter of sausages before him. “Memorable.”

“Why, exactly?” probed Harry cautiously.

“Sorry, what?” said Ron, a lot louder this time, coming of his trance. He stared at Harry quizzically.

“Why was it memorable?” Harry pressed on, glaring at Ron, who was hastily continuing to eat.

“Oh, it was nothing…” he mumbled indistinctly.

“Then why did you say it was memorable? ‘Nothing’ is memorable is it?” asked Harry accusingly.

“Slip of the tongue,” Ron responded succinctly, before getting up from the table and striding off “ cutting off all possible further conversation.

*

“What a failure!” taunted Ginny once Harry had recounted his earlier conversation with Ron.

“Oh, and you did better?” replied Harry.

“As a matter of fact, I did!” smirked Ginny.

“You did?” said Harry eagerly.

“Yep. Woman’s touch.”

“And?!”

“Apparently Hermione just sort of, broke down, and Ron comforted her…”

Harry stared at her expectantly. She stared back.

“What?” Ginny asked finally.

“And then what happened?” Harry replied impatiently.

“That was it,” she said simply. “I know, HUGE anti-climax.”

Harry considered this for a moment. Maybe it was a good thing that nothing had happened between them. They fought so much…surely if they ever broke up, they’d never be friends again…He decided to gently slip in a word while he and Hermione were on Heads’ patrols that night.

Harry was very nervous about his first patrols that night. What did they have to do? How long would they be? Would Ron be alright with it? He shivered at the thought of this last one. He still felt guilty about Ron being left out of the Heads’ duties. He was a Prefect, thought Harry. I wasn’t. But then again, I didn’t like that very much… He unpacked his homework uneasily, and tried to concentrate, but found it extremely difficult, as the common room seemed twice as noisy as usual. Finally giving up, he said goodbye to Ginny and trudged up to the dormitory.

Ron was sat awkwardly on his bed, as though waiting for someone. He jumped up hurriedly when Harry entered, and started babbling about their Charms homework. Sighing heavily, Harry tried to act normally, but eventually he couldn’t hold up the pretence any longer.

“Ron, are you alright?” he asked carefully. “You’ve been acting strange the past few days.”

“I have?” Ron questioned squeakily. His face was turning red.

That says it all, thought Harry. An odd smile crept over his face. If it really makes him this bad, maybe it’ll be alright after all…“I have to go Ron.” Harry had just noticed it was 8.30 “ time for his Heads’ duties.

“Oh,” said Ron confusedly. “Why exactly?”

“Patrols,” Harry replied delicately, hoping that Ron would not overreact.

“Right,” Harry heard him say stiffly, as he left the room.

*

“So what do we do?”

“Just patrol I think…make sure no-one’s out when they shouldn’t be, that sort of thing.”

It was a while later, and Harry and Hermione were walking down the marble staircase together. Harry was plucking up the courage to ask Hermione about Ron when they met Draco Malfoy in the Entrance Hall. It was clear to them that he was extremely put out about Harry being chosen over him.

“McGonagall’s favourite too, Potty? Well I’d rather not be, if it means hanging around with the Mudblood,” he sneered, gesturing at Hermione.

Harry ignored him, continuing to walk and chat to Hermione as though he had not heard, but at the same time, confusion and rage were coursing through his mind. What was Malfoy doing here? He had tried to kill Dumbledore! Did McGonagall not know that? Anger licked his insides. One more trigger...

The last thing he heard as he was about to turn the corner was Malfoy’s yell of “Dumbledore’s dead now Potter! There’s no-one left to save you!” At this, the rage boiled over within Harry and he whirled round, his wand pointing steadily at Malfoy’s face. Malfoy’s grin looked triumphant.

Harry heard Hermione whisper “No!” urgently, but he ignored her warnings. He looked straight into Malfoy’s cold eyes, his own full of silent fury. As though a magnetic force were radiating from it, Harry felt his eyes being drawn to Malfoy’s forearm.

Pain shot across his scar, and Harry lowered his wand cautiously. “Go,” he said quietly, forcing himself to keep calm. Malfoy laughed maliciously, before gesturing to Crabbe and Goyle and sauntering away towards the Slytherin common room.

“Harry,” Hermione said, fixing him with a piercing stare. “What just happened?”

Harry didn’t answer right away. But eventually, he felt it was probably best to tell someone. “My scar,” he answered. “It keeps hurting. The night we came back…just now…”

“But Harry, what does this mean? I thought he started using Occlumency on you? Why wouldn’t he need to now?”

“I don’t know,” murmured Harry, biting his lip. “I just don’t understand.”


*Charles Caleb Colton

Discoveries by rita_skeeter

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*


Disclaimer: Nothing that you recognise is mine. *sings Ode To JK Rowling*.


8. Discoveries

Over the next couple of weeks, Harry and Hermione met up each night to patrol the corridors. Ron began to get used to the idea, and his and Hermione’s friendship returned to normal. Finally, Harry felt the situation was secure enough to tell Ron about his scar. He and Hermione had been discussing the matter almost every night, and they always seemed to begin and end at the same question:

“Why is this happening after such a long time?” Hermione asked wildly one evening as the three of them sat around the fire, trying to finish their mountain of homework.

They had been sitting in pensive silence for so long that at first Harry did not reply. He merely sat, turning over a solution that had been brewing in his mind for a long while. Ron, however, jumped and responded immediately.

“I dunno…it could be anything…maybe he’s developed a power that requires his mind to be more open…” he mused, turning a quill over in his fingers.

“Maybe…” said Hermione, although she sounded sceptical. She studied Harry carefully, noticing his arrested look. “Harry, are you ok?” she asked concernedly.

“I’m fine…I guess…” he answered vaguely. In truth, Harry’s thoughts were slowly eating away at him, and the more he considered them, the more it hurt. Yet, as he sat aching from all this emotional turmoil, one thing became clearer and clearer to him. It was not only his own sentiments he was feeling, but Voldemort’s as well.

Now even Ron could sense Harry’s discomfort. He tried to speak again, but Harry cut him off with a brisk, “Ron, I’m fine. Please, shut up!”

Ron looked taken aback at his snappish attitude, but Harry had no space in his mind to feel guilty about his behaviour. Instead, he turned unfeelingly to Hermione and remarked shortly, “We should be going.”

Hermione nodded dumbly. Harry strode towards the portrait hole, glancing back just as Hermione flashed Ron an apologetic look. This did nothing but increase his sudden anger. He marched purposefully down the corridor, slowing only when he was several floors down from Gryffindor Tower.

After a furious ten minutes, Harry finally heard the sound of hurried footsteps behind him. He turned resentfully around, expecting to see Hermione but instead he saw a flash of crimson that told him it was Ginny.

“Harry, finally,” she said, cracking a smile as she caught up with him. He grinned down at her “ she was the only person he could face right now. He moved to kiss her, but she pulled away.

“Not now,” she muttered. “I have something important to discuss with you.”

The seriousness of her tone gave Harry a sense of foreboding. He was pretty sure he knew what she was about to say.

“Hermione’s worried about you! She says you suddenly flared up at Ron, and apparently he’s not taking your mood swings too well. What is it?” Ginny asked, slightly desperately.

“I…I’m not feeling quite right…” he stuttered feebly.

Ginny arched an eyebrow disbelievingly. “Oh really?” she said, voice dripping with sarcasm. Her face melted as she caught the anguished look that swept across Harry’s face.

“I don’t want to talk about it,” he replied firmly, turning away.

“Look, wait “ Harry!” Ginny called after his retreating back. “Wait! Don’t get angry at me as well.”

He sighed, then walked back over to her, feeling somewhat guilty.

“Right,” said Ginny, grabbing Harry’s arm to ensure that he didn’t attempt to leave again. “Let’s go for a walk.”

Harry let her drag him into the grounds, his mind elsewhere. He barely noticed as she slid her hand into his and steered him towards the lake. In fact, he only wrenched his mind to the present when she began speaking again.

“Aren’t you going to tell me anything?”

Harry didn’t reply. He was determined to stay off any topic that might spark an argument between them, particularly as Ginny’s hand felt so warm in his own. But she jerked it out of his grip and turned to stare at him searchingly. Harry gazed back at her.

“Ginny, can’t you just…just let me tell you in my own time?” he asked quietly.

“Of course,” she replied, her tone softening as she linked her hand in his once more.

They spent a long while wandering around the grounds, ignoring the increasing chill on the wind, talking cheerily and enjoying each other’s company. Harry felt happier than he had done in weeks. He gazed down at Ginny’s face, admiring the way her walnut eyes lit up as she laughed.

“What?”

Harry had barely noticed his eyes glazing over. He shook himself and replied, “Nothing, go on.”

But to his horror, concern was masking her face once more. “No, Harry, I can’t ignore it anymore. What is it that’s bothering you? Don’t you trust me?” Ginny’s voice was choked with hurt.

“I do, Ginny,” he replied tenderly.

“Then why are you doing this?” she asked, more angrily this time.

“I thought I told you that I needed time! It’s difficult! Did you see Dumbledore die last year? Are you the one that’s destined to be murderer or murdered? Do you have Voldemort inside your head every second of the day? No. Please, just leave me alone!” Harry half-shouted, before marching quickly towards the castle.

“Don’t do this, Harry! Don’t shut me out!” called Ginny furiously through the wind. But Harry didn’t even turn around. He continued to stalk back towards the doors into the school, blinking back tears as he went.

*

It was a while later, and Harry sat on his bed in the dormitory, mulling over everything. As he recalled the meeting with Malfoy, an irrational hate and fury seemed to pummel his brain. In all the emotion and confusion of the last few weeks, he had forgotten Malfoy completely. Why was he here? He had helped murder Dumbledore! It just didn’t make any sense. Anger and frustration were pulsing through him now, and, without quite realising his own actions, he rose and made his way unseeingly back down the stairs, through the portrait hole and along the corridor. He was a few floors down when he actually fully registered where he was heading.

Harry had stood before the gargoyle that led up to the Head’s office many a time, but never before had he been as clueless as to what the password was. He had no idea what McGonagall might have chosen as a password. At least Dumbledore’s ran on a theme, thought Harry in frustration.

As if on cue, Tonks appeared at Harry’s shoulder. Professor Tonks, he reminded himself.

“Are you wanting to see the Headmistress, Harry?” she asked.

“Yes, I am,” Harry replied. “Professor,” he quickly added.

Tonks laughed good-naturedly, before saying ‘feline’ clearly to the gargoyle in front of them both. It jumped aside and they both stepped onto the moving staircase Harry knew so well.

Tonks chatted casually to Harry as they approached the door with the griffin knocker, but his mind was so thoroughly elsewhere he barely registered a word of it. When they reached the door, Tonks knocked and a voice from within called, “Enter.”

Harry marched in, his rage still white hot, and was about to speak when his surroundings brought him to an unnatural silence. The office looked so strange. It was no longer filled with whirring silver instruments, but with filing cabinets and ornaments. His eyes travelled to the desk, where Professor McGonagall was sat, looking stressed and worn. I guess that’s only natural, thought Harry. She is still teaching Transfiguration as well. Maybe no-one wanted the job now that Dumbledore’s gone.

Harry jolted himself back to reality, and waited for Tonks to finish talking to McGonagall. Once she was done, Tonks gave Harry a wink and left the room. He tried to force a smile, but in his current state of righteous anger, he couldn’t quite manage.

“So. Harry. Why have you come to see me today?” inquired McGonagall politely.

Harry launched straight in. “Why the hell is Malfoy here?” he shouted. “He tried to kill Dumbledore! How could you even consider letting him come back?!”

“Potter, calm yourself!” she ordered. “Now sit down, and I’ll explain.”

Harry sat resentfully down, his face still set. McGonagall began to elaborate. “When I first thought of the matter, I reacted in exactly the same way. But someone changed my mind. Maybe it would be better if you spoke to him…” She turned towards the place where Fawkes’ perch used to be. Harry followed her gaze expectantly.

And there he was, eyes twinkling behind half-moon spectacles, hung on the wall next to all his predecessors.

“Professor Dumbledore?!”


*Charles Caleb Colton

A/N: I know I haven't fully explained the Draco situation yet, but at least I've given you an idea. The details of it will be explained in the next chapter. Until then...

Hostility and Heartbreak by rita_skeeter

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*



9. Hostility and Heartbreak


Dumbledore smiled out of the portrait towards Harry and replied, “Yes, Harry, indeed it is me. You didn’t believe I was really gone, did you? Do you not remember what I told you in your second year?”


Harry didn’t answer. He simply sat there, numb with disbelief, hardly daring to believe his eyes. As the revelation sank in, the beginnings of elation crept into his mind, and he slowly processed Dumbledore’s words.


Yes, he did remember. At the time he was confused by its meaning, but now he finally knew what Dumbledore was talking about. “You “ you said that you would only truly have left this school when none here were loyal to you,” he answered slowly, straining to remember Dumbledore’s exact words.


“Yes, Harry, and as you can see, I haven’t left just yet. And first of all, I must explain to you why Draco Malfoy is still at school,” Dumbledore said delicately.


Harry gazed at him, not sure what he wanted to hear or whether he was going to agree. But he definitely wanted to understand the reasons behind it, so he remained silent, waiting for Dumbledore to begin.


“Well, I decided that he must return here for his own protection. Draco is in great danger at the moment. By failing Voldemort he has essentially announced his own death sentence. I do not wish Draco to die for choosing the right path,” Dumbledore explained. “He chose not to kill me “ he chose not to live a dark life. His mother is not strong enough to protect him at the moment, so I insisted that he stay here. I can tell you that some people resisted quite ferociously.” He looked up at Professor McGonagall at this moment, who showed little sign of having heard.


“But “ but he almost did kill you, sir! He had been plotting against you all year! He would have killed you if…if Snape hadn’t turned up…” Harry protested, his voice filling with venom as he spoke Snape’s name, subconsciously balling up his fists.


“Draco would not have killed me. It is not in his nature to be a killer…yet. That is another reason for letting him return. Nobody here is going to completely convince him to continue along the Dark path, as I know the Death Eaters would have,” reasoned Dumbledore.


Harry remained silent, attempting to keep his face from displaying the sceptical thoughts inside his head. He didn’t care what Dumbledore said. As far as he was concerned, Malfoy would’ve killed Dumbledore “ and that made him evil in Harry’s eyes.


He nodded, so Dumbledore continued. “As for Severus…his murdering me was…necessary. I am not sure this is quite the time to be discussing it…”


“Necessary?!” Harry yelled, jumping to his feet in outrage. “Professor, how could you say that?”


“Harry…please “”


But Harry carried on, his voice growing steadily louder. “You say it was necessary for me to go through then pain of knowing you wouldn’t come back? Necessary for someone who was supposed to be on our side to kill the only one Voldemort fears?”


“Potter, for goodness sake compose yourself! If you actually sat down and listened to what Professor Dumbledore was trying to say, you’d understand,” Professor McGonagall reprimanded.


“Thank you, Minerva, but he is of course allowed to react in whichever way he chooses “ although,” Dumbledore said, turning his head towards Harry, “it would be less time-consuming if you were to sit down and listen to my explanation.”


Harry returned to his seat with a somewhat resentful look at Professor McGonagall. “I’m “ sorry,” he said shortly, not meeting either of their eyes.


“It’s alright, Harry. I guess I should have expected it anyway,” admitted Dumbledore. “But it is vital that you listen to me. Professor Snape did only what I had asked him to. I made him promise me that he would follow our plan through.”


“You “ you said WHAT?!” Harry shouted furiously. He was about to jump to his feet once more, when Professor McGonagall pushed him firmly down into his armchair.


“Harry, please “ I ask only that you hear me out. Severus has been working as a spy for us for a whole year now. He knew about Draco’s assignment, and he told me of it. I was well aware that Draco may attempt to kill me. Severus was then visited by Narcissa in the following few days. To prove his loyalty to the Dark Side, he made the Unbreakable Vow with Narcissa to protect Draco. I’m not sure if you know, but if one breaks an Unbreakable Vow, they die,” Dumbledore said simply. “Now, I knew that Draco was not a killer. I knew he would not have the evil within him to murder me. Yet I could not have Severus, our only spy, dying because of this. I therefore concluded that the only way around it was for me to be killed by Severus. He did not like it at all, and refused for quite some time. However, I eventually convinced him to do it, and so when the time came, he did as I had ordered “ he killed me.”


Harry could barely accept what he was hearing. His eyes were stinging with disbelief, his mind aching with all the revelations he had heard in such a small space of time. He tried to speak, but no sound came out of his dry mouth. Finally, Dumbledore spoke again.


“It was a very courageous thing to do. I do not wish you to think ill of him for it. He will play an essential part in your destruction of Voldemort. All the Death Eaters now admire and trust him. He is in a prime position now to help you.”


>Snape? Help him? The very thought was ludicrous. “I “ Professor“ ” Harry croaked.


“Harry, you must believe me…for both my and your sake.”


Harry said nothing more, but slowly nodded.


*


Hermione sat nervously on the edge of a desk as Harry related all that Dumbledore had told him to her. It was the next morning and, being a Saturday, they had no lessons. Ron was refusing to speak to Harry because of his outburst the previous evening, although according to Hermione, he was almost ready to forgive him.


Once Harry had finished, Hermione drew her breath in slowly while he watched anxiously for her take on the situation. Even now, Harry wasn’t entirely sure he could completely agree with Dumbledore’s confidence in Snape, and his reasons for Malfoy being in Hogwarts didn’t prevent Harry’s less than amicable feelings towards him.


“Well…that’s a…shock. But Harry, if Dumbledore’s says that’s what happened, it’s got to be true. We know we can trust Dumbledore…and well, it’s definitely possible. Probable, even,” Hermione concluded.


Harry studied her face for a moment before turning to stare out of the window at the mountains in the far distance. “It’s reminded me…all this coming up. It’s made me think again, you know, about the prophecy…” he said, attempting to keep his voice neutral.


“What do you mean by that?” Hermione asked warily.


“Maybe it wasn’t such a good idea coming back to Hogwarts after all…maybe I should go back to Godric’s Hollow, like I said last year…”


“Harry…I guess it is your decision. But I want you to know for sure that wherever you decide to go, Ron and I will definitely go with you.”


Harry smiled weakly at her, before turning back to the window. “I just feel like I’ve been building up to this all my life and I’ve got to do something. And it’s not just about the prophecy…think of everyone who’s died because of him…Dumbledore, Sirius…my parents…” Tears pricked his eyes as he uttered these last words.


“Oh Harry, I know. Well, no, I don’t, do I? No-one’s got any idea what you have been and are going through. But just know we’re here for you,” reassured Hermione. She reached over and embraced him as a tear trickled down his cheek.


Just as she did this, the door opened and Ron came in, his hands in his pockets. “Ginny said she saw you come in “” he stopped mid-sentence as his eyes travelled over the scene before him.


Hermione let go of Harry and swivelled quickly to face Ron. “Harry and I were just - ” she told him hurriedly, but she was cut off by a defiant response from Ron.


“No, no it’s fine…I get it…yeah. Completely. I’ll go.”


He strode out of the door, shutting it rather more firmly than was required, causing a few bits of dust to fall from the ceiling. Harry moved quickly towards the door with a hasty “I’ll go and find him “ it’s alright.”


Hermione watched him go, still silent and motionless, but with a tear forming in the corner of her eye. There it was again. One step forwards - two steps back.


*Charles Caleb Colton

What Must Be Left Behind by rita_skeeter

Friendship often ends in love; but love in friendship - never.*



Disclaimer: *does not own Harry Potter*



10. What Must Be Left Behind


Harry turned the corner and spotted Ron in quiet conversation with Seamus Finnegan. He made his way swiftly over in an attempt to catch Ron and force him to hear him out, but just as Harry reached the place where he was standing, Ron made an excuse and slipped away. Harry sighed. It had been happening all week. If only Ron would hear me out, he thought exasperatedly, then maybe I’d actually be able to explain what happened. But it’s his damn pride and jealousy all over again.


Harry sighed again and walked over to the Great Hall for lunch. After quickly surveying the Gryffindor table, he noticed Ginny sitting on the far side, and went to sit down next to her.


“Ron’s still not listening to me,” he groaned, reaching for the Shepherd’s Pie.


“That’s my brother for you,” she replied. “Stubborn as a mule. Still, at least this shows how much he likes Hermione. She must be just slightly happy about how he’s reacting.”


“I dunno.” Harry shrugged. “Maybe. I just got the impression she was annoyed and upset.”


“Why do you think she’s upset? Because she thought they were getting somewhere, and now he’s gone and made a big fuss about this. It’s crushing for her,” Ginny explained.


Harry nodded, his mouth full. Swallowing, he said, “Well, whatever the perks, I think I’d rather just have Ron speaking to me again.”


“Give him time,” Ginny insisted. “But since there’s nothing we can do right now, maybe we can take advantage of his not being here…fancy a walk?”


Harry grinned and took her outstretched hand, leaving a sizeable amount of Shepherd’s Pie on his abandoned plate.


*


A while later, Harry was sitting by the lake, his back against a tree and an arm around Ginny’s waist. Staring out across the waters, his mind began to wander back to the prophecy. He knew he couldn’t stay at Hogwarts much longer. Hiding won’t make Voldemort go away. I can’t just sit tight and hope he doesn’t come for me. I know Dumbledore intended for me to kill him, and so I will. It’s just not right to be here anymore. But how do I tell Ginny?


“What is it?” asked Ginny as Harry turned to face her, his expression determined yet solemn.


“Ginny, I need to talk to you about…you know, what I mentioned last year. About not coming back to school. Well, I think I’m going to have…to have to go,” Harry forced out, adamant that he would tell Ginny what he was planning to do.


Her face looked pained for a moment, before it melted in to a look of understanding. She smiled up at Harry, her eyes glossing over slightly as tears began to form. “I somehow knew this wasn’t permanent. I knew that at some point you’d decide it was time to go. It’s just the sort of person you are. You’re Harry Potter “ it’s just what you do,” she laughed, tears spilling over despite her efforts to keep them back. Harry pulled her into a hug, his heart beating at double its ordinary rate.


“The Boy Who Lived. The Chosen One. Your place is out there,” she stated, sliding out of his arms and gesturing into the distance, “hunting down Voldemort. Not here with me. I’ve known that since the start of this year, but I’ve just been selfish, telling myself it’s what you want, not what you need, that matters. Then I realised that hunting Voldemort was what you wanted, and the only reason you weren’t out there doing it was because I wanted you here. But now, Harry, it’s different. I want you to go, because that’s what you do. What you have to do.”


Harry looked into her eyes and smiled sadly. “Thank you,” he whispered, before getting up and walking towards the castle, knowing that there was no going back this time. He felt as though his conscience was clearer, that he had finally stopped ignoring the voice that had been constantly reminding him of his responsibility to the Wizarding World.


His decision was made. And Ginny was left, tears falling in a continual stream from her eyes, with nobody but the wind to tell her she had done the right thing.


*


Harry hurried inside, his head bent so that he wouldn’t attract any unwanted attention. Heart still pounding, he knew what he had to do next, no matter how difficult it would be. Nothing would measure up to what he had already been through that day.


“Ron!” he called across the Common Room as he clambered through the portrait hole. Ron looked up briefly, but his gaze fell again once he registered who it was.


“Honestly! Stop being such an idiot!” Harry said, marching up to where Ron was stood. “Look, we need to talk.”


“Whatever you need to say, you can say it here,” replied Ron grumpily.


“Fine,” agreed Harry. “First of all, there’s nothing going on between Hermione and me.”


Ron’s head jerked up, his expression clearly disbelieving. “Yeah, like I’m going to believe that. I saw you two together. Now, if that’s it “ ”


“No, I’m not finished!” interrupted Harry irritably. “Nothing happened. She was just comforting me. I’ve “ I’ve been feeling…weird recently.”


Ron still looked sceptical. “Look, we’re friends, Ron. Nothing more. Come on, Hermione’s been really upset,” reasoned Harry.


Ron still remained as stubborn as ever. Finally, the words Harry had been trying to suppress all week burst from his mouth. “Ron, nothing could possibly happen between us because she obviously has feelings for you!”


Ron’s ears turned a brilliant red at these words. He stared up at Harry as if hardly daring to believe what he thought he’d just heard. “Well…if you give me your word. I mean it, Harry. I don’t want to feel like an idiot around you two. So if there is anything going on, just tell me,” responded Ron after a long pause, his face a little flushed.


“Don’t worry,” Harry laughed gently. “You have my word.”


They grinned at each other, happy to be on speaking terms again. “So, you said that was only the first thing. What else have you got to say?”


Harry felt a lump rise in his throat. What was he supposed to say? Oh, sorry, I’ve just broken your little sister’s heart again? He wasn’t sure that Ron would take too kindly to the news, particularly with their current fragile friendship. Confused and worried, Harry simply said, “We’ll need to find Hermione first - I want to tell her too. Where is she?”


“Over there,” Ron answered, pointing in the direction of the tables nearest the window. He blushed slightly as she looked over at them, and Harry grinned. They began to make their way towards her, when the bell rang for the end of lunch.


As soon as they were in earshot, Hermione said, “Oh, you two, you’ve made up again! I can finally talk to you again, Ron! It’s been so awful not speaking to you.” She beamed.
Ron’s ears turned red again. “Well, we’d better go to Charms!” he said cheerily.


*


After the meal that evening, the three of them traipsed back upstairs to the Common Room and sank gratefully into the armchairs by the fire. Harry stared into the flames, trying to summon the best way of telling Ron and Hermione. After a few silent minutes, Ron took the matter out of Harry’s hands.


“So, what did you want to tell us, Harry?” he asked.


Harry paused apprehensively for a moment, before deciding to simply tell them. “I think I should leave Hogwarts. I’ve…come to realise that I can’t go on like this. I need to finish Dumbledore’s work. I need to be out there; fighting Voldemort.”


Hermione sighed. “I knew that’s what you meant the other day; that you wanted to leave and find the Horcruxes. Well, it’s going to be difficult leaving this place.” Her eyes swept over the furniture, walls and ceiling.


“Yeah, it is. But we’ll definitely still be coming with you,” reassured Ron. “We wouldn’t dream of staying here without you.”


Harry nodded, and then smiled at them both. “Thank you. It’ll make it a lot more bearable, I know. But, there is, of course, one unavoidable effect.” He swallowed hard. “I had to break up with Ginny.”


”You “ you what?!” started Ron, but Hermione gave him a piercing look and he relented. “Right. Yeah, I understand, mate,” Ron continued, “and so does she. She knows you. She knows why you have to do this.”


“So, when are we leaving?” asked Hermione.


“Tonight,” Harry stated firmly. “All I need to do is tell one of the teachers. McGonagall, probably. And we’ll have to hand in our badges,” he added, looking at Hermione.


“I suppose,” she said, with a hint of sadness. Hermione and Harry both carefully unclipped their badges and lay them on the table.


They all sat there for a moment, gazing at the four colours on the crest that was printed on the badge. Finally, Harry heaved himself up from his chair, and the others followed suit. Hermione scooped the badges up off the table and followed the boys out of the portrait hole and to Professor McGonagall’s office.


When they arrived outside her door, they took a collective deep breath, and entered.


“Well hello, Mr. Potter, Mr. Weasley and Miss Granger,” greeted Professor McGonagall. “What can I do for you?”


Deciding that there was no point in beating about the bush, Hermione laid the badges on her desk. “We have to leave, Professor. It’s just something we have to do. Harry thinks “ we all think “ that it would be what Professor Dumbledore wanted.”


“Yes, Professor, we think we need to go out there, and try to end this war. Dumbledore told Harry some really important stuff, and we need to use that to try to bring peace to the Wizarding World,” Ron added.


Professor McGonagall’s expression displayed her surprise impeccably. She looked as though she was about to protest, but Harry cut in before she could say anything. “You know we have to do this,” he reasoned.


“Very well, very well. I know Albus told you something crucial, Harry, so if this is what you must do, then I cannot stop you,” she finally agreed. “I hardly need to say that you will all be…sorely missed.” She picked up the badges, running a finger over them and smiling. “I guess I’ll have to find new people to wear these!” she laughed.


Harry could see her smiling, but he could sense that her eyes were moister than they had originally been, so he decided to speed up their departure. Seeing her cry would be very uncomfortable indeed.


“Well, thank you, Professor, and goodbye,” Harry said gently.


“Yes, goodbye Professor,” Hermione said, disappearing out of the door.


“Bye, Professor McGonagall.” said Ron, following her out.


“Good luck, Harry,” McGonagall said kindly as Harry walked towards the exit. He smiled appreciatively at her, before closing the door, not just to her office, but on their lives at Hogwarts forever.



*Charles Caleb Colton

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=32026