Riding out the Storm by lovegood
Summary: It's a few days after the death of one of the greatest wizards of all time and a storm is brewing. As the storm rages on we look into the lives of five people to see how they're coping in these dark times.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 1740 Read: 1517 Published: 09/13/05 Updated: 09/13/05

1. One-Shot by lovegood

One-Shot by lovegood
A/N: For MNFF’s monthly challenge #4 using the sentence...and the rain fell ceaselessly on. Written by lovegood in Hufflepuff house. Okay, this is my absolute first ever fan fic, so I thought I would start with a bang and do a competition piece one shot. So here goes, my first time typing this, all characters in this story belong solely to J.K. Rowling, NOT ME. So, enjoy and please be critical but not to the point of harshness!=)

The day was becoming gray and cloudy as lightening forked across the sky and thunder rumbled menacingly. The weather so well matched the mood of the day, for it was the day after one of the greatest wizards of all time was taken from the Wizarding world. It was a somber mood all around as rain began to streak it’s way out of the clouds towards the unforgiving ground. Even Muggles, who knew nothing of this secret world, felt something had changed. Each and every person had a varying myriad of emotions battling on within them...and the rain fell ceaselessly on.


The unrelenting rain fell upon a snuffling, swollen-eyed Hagrid as he shuffled around the ashen remains of his cabin. Blearily he scanned the rubble, wondering what was to be done, as the rain beat harshly down upon what was left of his home. He reached out tentatively to open the charred, wooden front door, which fell to the ground with a tremendous thud.

As he scanned the interior of his scorched house, memories of cheery visits with Dumbledore over tea came flooding into his head. Hagrid began to feel quite overwhelmed by them. He thought he’d already shed all the tears he could, but he was wrong. For what seemed like the hundredth time since Dumbledore’s passing, oversized tears came to his eyes, filling them up and spilling over. The fat raindrops that hurtled from the angry, gray, clouds, mingled with the salty tears on his cheeks. What was he going to do without the man who’d always stood up for him; been almost like a father to him? Hagrid brought his large hands to his face to wipe away the tears, swearing that he could still feel the weight of Dumbledore’s body in his arms as he carried him up to the white tomb. It was a feeling he knew he would feel for a long time. He let out a howl of anguish...and the rain fell ceaselessly on.


The train ride had been silent and uneventful. The students who had not been taken home by their parents after the service were speeding their way toward Platform 9 3/4. The new Minister of Magic, Rufus Scrimgeour, had sent an entourage of Aurors to ride the train for more protection. All the students would be sent by Floo directly to their homes from the train station. One compartment however was bristling with activity. Harry, Ron, and Hermione spoke of their plans and were each putting clothes into smaller packs for traveling. They had used an Imperturbable Charm on the compartment so they could freely discuss what had to be done.

”I want to stay at the Dursley’s as little time as possible, one night at the most. We’ll stop only long enough to get provisions, some sleep, and to fulfill the spell cast long ago,” Harry conveyed.

The three other’s in the compartment sat listening in silence. Neville, Ginny, and Luna had insisted on being present for support. As the train pulled into the station, the flurry of activity was impossible to miss. Parents were anxiously awaiting the arrival of their children so they could depart as soon as possible. Mr. Weasley and several of the Order were already waiting. The trio, along with the others, made their way off the train and headed over to Mr. Weasley. Neville and Luna bid their friends a difficult farewell wishing them luck before heading off to find their families. As Harry was walking over to join Mr. Weasley, he paused. Off in the distance he could swear he heard the peaceful song of a phoenix. Shaking his head clear, he continued on. Ginny said her goodbyes to each of them with an embrace, lingering on Harry, and sped off to the queue in front of the fireplace. Arthur turned a questioning look on the three.

Ron stepped forward and said “Dad, I need to tell you something”...and the rain fell ceaselessly on.


Molly was working tirelessly making a large lunch for she was expecting Arthur and the kids home anytime. They had left Hogwarts early that morning, and Arthur and a few others from the Order were there as a guard. Molly had stayed at the Burrow to meet them as they were being sent by Floo from Platform 9 3/4. After what seemed like an eternity to an overly worried Molly, green flames licked up from out of the fireplace and out stepped Ginny. Molly immediately rushed over to check her from head to foot and hug her soundly.

”Ginny dear, you don’t know how glad I am that you’re all going to be home now. I’ve been ever so worried. Why don’t you go ahead and tuck in, there’s plenty to go around and the others can do the same when they arrive,” said Molly.

Ginny sat down quietly and averted her eyes from her mother.

Arthur finally Apparated to and knocked on the kitchen door and commenced with the usual security measures. As she had done with Ginny, Molly checked him over from head to foot and held him tightly.

”Arthur, why didn’t Ron and Harry Floo through before you Apparated?” she asked, “Is everything alright... is Tonks seeing them through?”

”Molly, let’s go sit down and discuss it, I don’t want to talk of such things out here,” commented Arthur as he led her in.

All the while the thoughts spinning through her head were making her even more unsettled. ”This all brings to mind my boggart. I mean if a wizard as powerful as Dumbledore didn’t make it, then what kind of chance do the rest of us have.”

As Arthur and Molly walked into the kitchen she noticed Ginny’s retreating back going up the stairs.

”Molly, I’m not sure how to explain this, but please let me finish before you say anything. Ron is going with Harry back to his relatives house”...and the rain fell ceaselessly on.


Minerva stood at the window looking out over the vast expanse of the Hogwarts grounds. She was standing in what was now labeled as the Headmistress’ office, as the ominous clouds raged on. The school governors had voted and agreed that she, Minerva McGonagall, was best suited to fill the post. With her un-ending belief in the school and her passion to continue the great works of Albus Dumbledore, she consented. It was so unbelievably hard to accept that he was gone; gone from the school, gone from the lives of the students, gone from this world. She felt as though a big part of herself was missing, and so to divert her attention she decided to check on the teachers that had stayed on at Hogwarts.

As she crossed the office she tried her best not to glance at the new portrait that hung on the wall, for she still found it too difficult. If she looked upon his face, she knew it might break her resolve. Glad that she was not there on her own to protect the school, she headed down the winding stair to visit Pomona Sprout. More than likely she was tending her precious plants as a way of distraction, which is a feat they were all trying to accomplish. The stone gargoyle leaped aside as she stepped out. Unlike the time Umbridge had tried to take over, the office had readily accepted her. As she headed off down the corridor, she noticed that something moved toward her. It was a large misty animal with four legs and a tail, the new form that Tonks’ Patronus had taken. It was the message from the Order she had been waiting for. Her visit would have to wait...and the rain fell ceaselessly on.


Pacing back and forth in front of the rain streaked window, he was deep in thought. Hidden away here, with all the protection on the house in place, yielded nothing to occupy his mind but thinking; something the past few days had left him little time to accomplish. He had been fleeing for his life and for the actions that had led him to this planned destination. From the outside it deceived passers by as a house of ruin. The roof was partially caved in and many of the old boards covering the outside of the little house were long gone. Brambles and vines had overtaken the small yard many years ago. It was a gloomy place and the owner and his son and daughter, who were tied to a dark and colorful past, had long since gone.

All the preparation that had gone into their plans had finally come to fruition. No one had expected it and they were genuinely shocked. He may not have known every detail, but had known what the end result would come to. He had played his role well and had kept his promise, and everything had fallen into place. It would be hard for some to understand and yet others would be pleased. None of them knew the truth. Everyone thought he was dead and yet only they really knew. The plans had been made long ago and had been changed to work around what Draco had planned. So he waited. Where things would go from here, he did not know...and the rain fell ceaselessly on.


A/N: Thanks for reading my first ever fic! I’d like to thank my beta Craftyslytherin for all her help.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=32440