Harry Potter and the Seventh Search by snufflesismyidol
Past Featured StorySummary: Harry is getting ready to fight. With trials along the way, Harry will have to make Voldemort mortal before the final battle. Many ships going on in here...

Categories: Ron/Hermione AND Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 25 Completed: No Word count: 32385 Read: 89073 Published: 09/13/05 Updated: 02/02/07

1. Chapter One – The Farewell by snufflesismyidol

2. Chapter Two - The Burrow by snufflesismyidol

3. Chapter Three - The Wedding by snufflesismyidol

4. Chapter Four - Murder at the Ministry by snufflesismyidol

5. Chapter Five - Reunited by snufflesismyidol

6. Chapter Six - Dumbledore's Return by snufflesismyidol

7. Chapter Seven - Diagon Alley by snufflesismyidol

8. Chapter 8 - The Order of the Phoenix by snufflesismyidol

9. Chapter Nine – Letters and Surprises by snufflesismyidol

10. Chapter 10 - The Fight by snufflesismyidol

11. Chapter 11 - The Mistake by snufflesismyidol

12. Chapter 12 – Homecoming by snufflesismyidol

13. Chapter 13 – Enough by snufflesismyidol

14. Chapter 14 – Transfiguration by snufflesismyidol

15. Chapter 15 - Christmas by snufflesismyidol

16. Chapter 16 - The Locket by snufflesismyidol

17. Chapter 17 - The Vault by snufflesismyidol

18. Chapter 18 - Potions by snufflesismyidol

19. Chapter 19 - Motivation by snufflesismyidol

20. Chapter 20 - With a little help from Dobby by snufflesismyidol

21. Chapter 21 – Stonehenge by snufflesismyidol

22. Chapter 22 by snufflesismyidol

23. Chapter 23 by snufflesismyidol

24. Chapter 24 by snufflesismyidol

25. Chapter 25 by snufflesismyidol

Chapter One – The Farewell by snufflesismyidol
Chapter One “ The Farewell


Night was creeping over the freshly mowed grass of Privet Drive. A soft breeze whistled through the trees as a snowy white owl skimmed their leafy branches and flew into a small window in number four. Harry Potter sat anxiously as he ripped open the envelope his owl Hedwig had brought for him. He had been waiting for this letter since term had ended weeks ago.


Dear Harry,
As you are well aware, you have become of age as of July thirty-first. You are therefore able to leave your current residence of number four Privet Drive. The Weasley family has offered to take you in if you are willing.
The best of luck to you,
Minerva McGonagall,
Headmistress of Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry



Well, Harry couldn’t say he was satisfied with McGonagall’s letter, but he was relieved that he could finally leave the Dursley’s house. He wrote to the Weasley’s and sent Hedwig off immediately. Glancing at the clock, he decided to get ready for bed. He heard Dudley snort sleepily in the next room as he pulled back the covers. He sunk into a deep sleep almost instantly.


Harry was awoken the next morning hours earlier than he would have liked by Hedwig’s indignant hoot. He sat bolt up right as though Hedwig had screamed rather than hooted. He knew that she must have Ron’s reply. Putting on his round glasses and brushing his dark hair out of his brilliantly green eyes, Harry tore open Ron’s letter.


Dear Harry,
Finally! I told my mum, and she can’t wait for you to come! Now that you can legally apparate, you can come as soon as possible. You should know, Harry, Ginny hasn’t gotten over you, and I don’t think she wants to. She’s been pretty upset. I don’t want her to get even more hurt, so please be kind, Harry. Hermione’s on her way today, too. Send Hedwig back right away.
Ron



Harry reread the part about Ginny. How could he have been so stupid? Of course she was upset, so was he. She was all he had thought about since summer had started “ her dark red hair falling softly on her shoulders, her sweet laugh, the way she always smells like roses…


He gave himself a little shake. He couldn’t start thinking about her like this again, it’s too hard. Writing his response to Ron, Harry tried, and failed, to clear his head of thoughts of Ginny. When Hedwig had vanished though his bedroom window, Harry decided to join the Dursley’s for some breakfast.


His aunt and uncle made know indication that they had noticed their nephew when he entered the kitchen, but Dudley whipped around and smirked. Harry didn’t bother to find out why.


“Uncle Vernon, um, I’ve come of age, er, in the wiza… I mean my world, so I will be able to, um, leave,” Harry finished lamely. His uncle’s face lit up as though Christmas had come early.


“Leave?” he asked excitedly. “As in never come back? Ever?”


Harry wasn’t surprised by this insulting reply, but he ploughed on.


“Yes and the magical bonds that protect me while I’m here have broken.”


“It’s that ‘love’ thing, isn’t it?” Aunt Petunia asked. “The one that fool you call a headmaster wrote about in that letter?”


Harry felt his face burn at this cold remark towards the deceased Albus Dumbledore. As if he hadn’t thought about him enough. While he wasn’t having nightmares featuring Dumbledore’s blank lifeless eyes, he was brooding on how he could have saved him if there was only more time…


“Yes,” he replied through gritted teeth, “I’ll be leaving today.”


He wheeled around and headed straight back upstairs towards his bedroom, so angry at his aunt and uncle that he completely forgot about breakfast.


Albus Dumbledore, the greatest wizard who had ever lived, and Harry’s mentor, was dead. Harry had no idea how he would defeat Voldemort without him.


Throwing all his belongings into his trunk, Harry thought about the remaining Horcruxes that still needed to be destroyed, but his thoughts were abruptly terminated by the knock on his bedroom door.


“Come in,” said Harry, confused. No one ever visited him in his room. Dudley sidled in, still smirking.


“Off to see Ginny?” he asked in a mocking voice. Harry dropped the pair of socks he had been trying to fold.


“How “ how did you -,” he stammered.


“You should really try to clear your mind before you sleep, you have a lot of nightmares,” Dudley said, sounding unnervingly like Severus Snape, Dumbledore’s murderer. The pent up rage at Snape that had been bubbling inside him for weeks was about to explode. He whipped out his wand, and Dudley faltered, his grin vanishing instantly.


“Get out of here now!” Harry said in a voice of deadly calm. “Don’t make me jinx you!”


And to prove his point, Harry made all of his belongings fly into his trunk. Dudley raced from the room screaming as a shoe chased after him. As Uncle Vernon charged into Harry’s bedroom, moustache billowing with rage, Harry knew he had better leave as soon as he could.


“Well, bye then. Thanks for treating me like dung for the past sixteen years! Don’t bother to stay in touch.”


Screwing up his eyes, Harry concentrated with all his might on the Burrow, and apparated, clutching his trunk and Hedwig’s empty cage, just as Uncle Vernon let out a cry of fury.
Chapter Two - The Burrow by snufflesismyidol
Chapter Two “ The Burrow


Harry landed in a heap on the floor of the Weasley’s kitchen, and heard a scream. A flurry of red hair obscured his vision as Mrs. Weasley strangled him in a tight hug.


“Harry! You’re here! Oh, look how skinny you are, would you like something to eat?”


Harry couldn’t help but smile. Even with all that was happening in his life, he always felt right at home at the Burrow.


“Hi, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry said, grinning, as Bill came running down the stairs looking around wildly, holding what appeared to be an ordinary muggle baseball bat.


“Who “ why did you scream, are you alright? Oh! Harry!” Bill dropped the bat looking relieved, and held out his hand to shake Harry’s.


“Hi, Bill!” Harry noticed that Bill’s face was still horribly scarred, and he remembered Bill’s run in with Greyback, the werewolf. Fleur glided gracefully down the stairs after Bill, looking as beautiful as always.


“Oh, Arry! It ezz you! You are in time for zee wedding! It ezz tomorrow!” She beamed with pride, giving Bill a loving kiss on the cheek.


“Oh, yeah!” Harry had forgotten the wedding, but now that he was here, he was sure it would be enjoyable.


There was another rumbling on the stairs, as Hermione and Ron, his ears slightly red, ran grinning towards Harry. After being thrown into a very bushy hug from Hermione, Ron shook his hand enthusiastically.


“Good to see you, mate,” Ron said, sounding much older and more mature than usual. Harry noticed that he gave Hermione the briefest of glances as he spoke.


“You too!” Harry replied, trying to stifle a laugh, “I hope everyone’s ok, Ron. Is it alright if I take my trunk up to your room?”


“Oh, yeah, I’ll come too.” Ron grabbed Hedwig’s cage as Harry dragged the trunk upstairs.


“So,” Harry said with a sideways glance at Ron, “how are things going with Hermione?”


Ron dropped Hedwig’s empty cage, and tripped over it, landing in a heap on the second landing.


“Don’t know what you’re talking about,” Ron said, turning bright red again as he picked up the cage. Harry decided not to press the subject.


A beautiful girl with dark red hair had just emerged from a door on Harry’s left. Harry faltered for a moment, and his heart seemed to catch in his throat.


“Hi, Ginny,” Harry said sheepishly. It had only been a month since he had had to break things off with Ginny in order to protect her. Ron seemed to have caught on.


“Harry,” he said, “I’ll bring your trunk up for you.”


He left up the next flight of stairs, leaving Harry and Ginny alone.


“Hi,” Ginny said, not looking at him.


“You know I had to, right?” Harry said feeling slightly embarrassed.


“I know,” Ginny muttered, “but I’ll be going back to Hogwarts next year, I’ll be safe, couldn’t we…” She let her voice trail off, glancing at Harry shyly. Harry had known this would come up.


“I don’t want to take that chance,” he said, “I care about you too much.” Harry finished in barely a whisper.


“Right,” Ginny said softly, “I, um, I’ll go help mum with lunch.” She slumped down the stairs. Harry felt awful, but he knew it was for the best. He suddenly wondered what Dumbledore would say on the subject. What he really need what a female perspective.


As Ron came down the stairs to his bedroom, Harry decided that he didn’t want to talk about his conversation with Ginny, so he fled down the stairs behind her.


When he entered the kitchen, the first thing he noticed was Ginny and Hermione talking in hushed voices in the corner. Harry walked past them to help Mrs. Weasley with lunch.


~*~*~


The next day, Harry was really starting to regret his decision. He noticed every time Ginny tossed back her long hair, every time she laughed, and he missed being able to kiss he. He gave his head a little shake as he heard Ron’s voice.


“Harry, are you listening?”


Harry glanced around at Ron who was standing at the sink of the tiny kitchen.


“We’re going to play Quidditch for a while, want to join us?”


Five minutes later, he, Ron, Hermione and Ginny were having a high-action game of Quidditch. Playing against Ginny, Harry let her catch the snitch before he did.


“You didn’t have to lose on purpose,” she said, even though she was smiling, “I’m a big girl, I can win against you.”


Ron and Hermione past by them talking and laughing together.


“Harry, I miss you,” Ginny said, interrupting his thoughts of his two best friends.


He looked down at her, and stopped walking towards the house, as the rest of the Weasley family and Hermione set up for Bill and Fleur’s evening wedding. Earlier that morning, Charlie arrived to Mrs. Weasley’s bone crushing hug, and when Fred and George apparated into her garden, she was so emotional that she was lecturing as she hugged them tightly, tears running down her face.


“Harry?” Ginny was saying, standing in front of him. He looked into her deep brown eyes.


“Harry, I’ll wait for you. I don’t want to go out with anyone else,” she said softly. Harry knew what she meant.


“Ginny, I don’t know how long it could take to defeat him, or even if I will. I don’t want you to waste your life waiting.” He wanted to kiss her, to hold her and comfort her.


“Harry! Come help us with the chairs!” George was calling him over.


With a last glance and comforting smile at Ginny, Harry went to help set up for the wedding.

A/N: PLEASE REVIEW. AFTER AT LEAST FIVE REVIEWS, I'LL UPDATE! THANKS FOR READING!
Chapter Three - The Wedding by snufflesismyidol
Chapter Three “ The Wedding


An hour later, the yard was filled with chairs to seat all of the slowly arriving guests. Charlie and Mr. Weasley had set up a wooden alter with a winding flowery archway. The aisle was made of pink rose petals, and Fleur was in Ginny’s room getting ready. Her maid of honor, her sister Gabrielle, had smiled sheepishly upon being greeted by Harry. Three years ago, he had saved her from the bottom of the icy lake during the Triwizard tournament, when Fleur hadn’t been able to pass the grindylows.


Remus Lupin and Nymphadora Tonks had stepped out of the fireplace just as Mrs. Weasley was lecturing the twins for setting the cake on fire. Everyone made a big fuss over the diamond engagement ring on Tonks’ finger. When Hermione had tearfully asked when the wedding was, Tonks asked her to be the junior bridesmaid. Hermione burst into happy sobs. It took four cups of tea to calm her down.


Harry was surprised to see a few of the Hogwarts teachers who had taught Bill, including Professor McGonagall, but was thrilled to see Hagrid, especially since he had decided to leave Grawp behind.


Minutes before the start of the wedding, Percy walked in with Penelope Clearwater on his arm. Mrs. Weasley dropped the rings and Hermione had to pry them away from Crookshanks. Without saying a word, Percy embraced his mother and went to congratulate Bill. It was enough for Mrs. Weasley, who couldn’t stop smiling.


At six o’clock sharp, the charmed musician-free instruments began to play a cheerful wedding march. Bill couldn’t have been more proud, and Charlie, his best man, had a permanent grin stuck on his face.


As the groom’s men, Fred and George, and the bridesmaids (Ginny among them) walked down the flowery aisle, Harry looked around the crowd. Remus had his arm around Tonks, and Ron and Hermione were very close…


Fleur appeared looking stunning, and everyone stood up facing her. She was beaming on the arm of her father, a tall handsome man with the same white-gold hair as his two daughters. When they arrived at the alter, Fleur gave her teary father a small kiss on the cheek as he handed her over to Bill. She smiled at him, tearing up was she caressed his wounds lovingly. The priest commenced the ceremony.


Professor McGonagall was blowing her nose loudly as Hagrid sniffled beside her. Mrs. Weasley was crying happily into Mr. Weasley’s shoulder. Hermione was beaming, absentmindedly intertwining Ron’s fingers in her own.


“Do you, Fleur Delacour, take this man, to have and to hold, in sickness and in health, ‘til death do you part?” The wheezing little priest asked her with a friendly smile.


“But of course, I do!” said Fleur, positively giddy with delight. Bill squeezed her hand.


Harry glanced at Ginny, who looked beautiful in a pale pink ankle length dress, her hair tied back in a loose bun, and she was smiling looking at her brother and Fleur. She looked around at him, and he could feel himself blush as he quickly turned his gaze back to the couple.


“I do,” Bill was saying.


“Then with the power invested in me, I pronounce you husband and wife,” he beamed at them, “you may now kiss the bride.”


Bill leaned in and kissed his wife softly on the lips. As he pulled away grinning and staring lovingly into her eyes, Fleur let out a small delighted laugh.


All of Bill and Fleur’s family and friends burst into enthusiastic applause as the newlyweds walked back down the aisle smiling at each other.


Harry, Ron and Hermione got up to help Mr. and Mrs. Weasley quickly prepare for the reception and the rest of the guests went to congratulate Bill and Fleur Weasley. Mrs. Weasley blew her nose every few minutes as she worked in silence. Mr. Weasley was chatting animatedly to Charlie as they transfigured the hedges into tables, while the trio placed the chairs around them. The twins were levitating dark red candles to hover over each table as the sky slowly turned purple. Mrs. Weasley had turned the alter into a wooden dance floor lined with long-stemmed red roses. Live fairies were fluttering above holding miniature lanterns.


Fred and George were gapping at Fleur’s female relatives. Harry knew that her grandmother had been a veela, and most of her cousins seemed to have inherited the same genes.


“George!” Mrs. Weasley screeched as he tripped over his own feet head first into one of the tables, sending cutlery flying everywhere.


“Stop staring, it’s impolite!”


George grinned as Fleur’s cousin giggled. As he strutted over to talk to her, Harry was poked in the small of the back.


“Harry Potter, sir!” Harry was shocked to see Dobby wearing a rather ugly sweater that he must have knit himself. It was dark green, and very lumpy over what appeared to be a muggle girl’s blue skirt. Around his neck was a bowtie the size of a large bat.


“Dobby! What are you doing here?”


“The word around the Hogwarts kitchens is that you’re a close friend of all the Weasleys! When I heard about Bill’s wedding, I thought, Harry must be going!” Dobby squeaked excitedly, his giant ears flapping in the wind. “I is wanting to know, Harry Potter, sir, if you is needing Dobby for anymore favors like last year, Harry Potter, sir.”


Dobby looked so eager that Harry quickly racked his brain for even the smallest chore for him. A light bulb seemed to have clicked on in his head as he thought about Hogwarts. It would defiantly help him!


“Dobby!” He said excitedly, “Could you find out if the portrait of Dumbledore in his office would be able to communicate with me, even if I’m not actually in the office?”


Dobby worked at Hogwarts, and Harry knew he must have access to the Headmaster’s office so he could clean. Dobby looked slightly confused,, but he said that he would give it his best effort to find out. Harry was anxious to discover the answer. If he could talk to Dumbledore, his mentor, he might have a better chance finding the horcruxes.


“Harry?” It was Hermione. She was wearing a dark blue dress, and she had tried unsuccessfully to tame her hair. She was nervously wringing her hands.


“Harry, I spoke with Ginny, would you like to talk?”


Harry had to admit, Hermione had good timing. He breathed a sigh of relief. He wanted to get his feelings for Ginny off his chest.


After nearly a quarter of an hour, Harry had finished expressing his thoughts about his best friend’s sister.


“Well,” Hermione said tentatively, “She will be at Hogwarts, and Voldemort did take her in our second year when you were just friends. I guess everyone’s in danger now. I suppose with the proper protection, she could be safer than all of us. You could teach her spells like you did in the DA…” Hermione bit her lip thinking.


“She could also be very useful. The more people we have working with us, the better chance we have of winning the war.”


Harry could have kissed her. She had given him hope. He knew he would never be able to date anyone but Ginny; she meant so much to him.


“Ginny’s been talking about you a lot lately, Harry,” she said kindly, “I think she’d appreciate if you just talked to her.”


Harry looked at her. She was so clever, and yet so misunderstood. Ron had a poor way of showing ha he liked her. He had never treated her like a girl, but Harry knew that he was just confused. Ron would be great to her if his feelings were out in the open.


“Hermione, I think you should talk to Ron about you two. I think he’d like that.”


Hermione flushed but looked pleased. She seemed to understand Harry perfectly.


“Do what you think is right with Ginny,” she said, “I think either way is right, and,” she seemed embarrassed, “I was talking to Lupin.”


Harry gave her a sharp look of surprise, but she ploughed on.


“He says that if you do get back together, you should keep it quiet, and start working on occlemency again.”


Harry considered this. While it reminded him of Snape so much that he clenched his fists in rage, it made sense. Didn’t his parents go in to hiding together?


“By not letting him in on your relationship, Voldemort wouldn’t be able to tell the difference when you two are dating or not. It might even give you some sort of advantage,” Hermione said carefully.


“Good luck, Harry,” she said, “You two really belong together.”
Chapter Four - Murder at the Ministry by snufflesismyidol
The rest of the evening was very enjoyable now that he had the prospect of talking with Ginny. He wasn’t sure what had been more exciting; Bill and Fleur shoveling cake into each other’s mouths, or when they left for their weeklong honeymoon in France, or even Ron and Hermione’s long conversation, ending in a kiss. Both had pulled away bright pink, but smiling. Fred and George had a lot of fun making kissy faces at Ron whenever Hermione wasn’t looking. Mrs. Weasley, who had been silently watching, took a half hour to recover from shock before deciding that she approved. Lupin walked over to Ron giving him a congratulatory pat on the back, making Ron’s pink face turn two shades darker.


The night sky twinkled with bright stars as the wedding guests started to leave, thanking the Weasley’s for such an excellent reception as they clambered into the fireplace, or Disapparated with multiple loud cracks.


When it was Hagrid’s turn to leave, he stopped to talk to Harry, Ron and Hermione first.


“Well, I’ll see yer all at Hogwarts next year, even if yer not in me class,” he said with a slightly bitter note.


A look of shock graced his features when they explained that they weren’t planning on returning.


“Wha’?” He exclaimed, “Not comin’ back?”


Harry explained all about the horcruxes and their quest to find them. He also mentioned that Dobby was helping him find out about communication with Dumbledore.


“Nutter, that elf,” Hagrid muttered, “Always cheerful, for a houself.”


Hermione frowned. Apparently, she was still supporting S.P.E.W.


“Can we stay in touch? Only I might need some help from a Hogwarts insider,” Harry asked.


Hagrid inflated with pride at being asked to help.


“O’ course we can! Send Hedwig whenever yer’ wan’.”


He then bade them farewell, and walked down the Burrow’s drive with McGonagall, before disappearing behind a tree.

~*~*~



The next day, Harry was awoken by loud voices shouting in the kitchen. He clambered out of bed and got dressed.


As he stepped sleepily down the kitchen stairs, he was able to hear what the voices were saying.


“I DON’T want you to go to work today, Arthur!” Mrs. Weasley was saying. Her voice didn’t sound angry, but strained.


“Molly, you don’t understand! The Ministry needs me at times like these! It’s in complete disarray!”


“But it’s unsafe, you know that!”


“It’s unsafe everywhere these days, dear. You heard about Dedilus Diggle, I presume? Murdered in Diagon Alley! And Ernie Prang, remember him, the Knight bus driver? Killed while Apparating! That has never happened before! Dozens of wizards found dead in their own homes!”


“I know, I know, but…” Mrs. Weasley’s voice broke off. It sounded like she was…


“Don’t cry, Molly dear.”


“It’s just… the Order… family dying… I just don’t…” Her voice was cracking in between sobs.


“Alright, Molly, I won’t go. I’ll stay home today - but just because of the mark. Tomorrow, though, I must go back.”


Harry walked slowly back up the stairs. He felt ashamed for eavesdropping. Mrs. Weasley must have been very stressed this year. With all that had been going on in the wizarding world, who wouldn’t be? But why didn’t she want him to go to work today? What was so special about today?


~*~*~


Harry found out the answer to his questions a little bit later that day.


He, Hermione, and the rest of the Weasleys were sitting at the tiny scrubbed table having lunch. Mrs. Weasley’s eyes were very red. Ron and Hermione kept glancing at each other at regular intervals, but each time missed each other’s gaze. Ron awkwardly grabbed her hand on the table, sending her pumpkin juice flying. Fred and George stifled their sniggers behind their toast as Mrs. Weasley told Ron off for making a mess.


There was a loud ‘bang’ at the window. Everybody whipped around to see a fluffy grey owl sliding down the windowpane.


“Errol, you great lump you’re still alive?” Charlie laughed, running to retrieve the ancient bird. Pulling the Daily Prophet from its beak, Charlie gasped as he read the front page.


“Oh no! Dad, did you hear about this?” he said throwing the Prophet on the table.


On the cover was a giant black and white picture of a Ministry worker flitting around in blind panic beneath what was unmistakably…


“The Dark Mark!” exclaimed Ron, “at the Ministry? You-Know-Who wouldn’t dare go there again! Why would he?”


Harry was more interested in the brief article beneath the glittering photo.


Murder at the Ministry


Ministry officials are stunned this morning after a quick and vicious attack late last night on the ninth floor. Representatives are still unsure how three unidentified Death Eaters managed to penetrate the new, tight security measures.


“It was ‘orrible!” says security guard Eric DuPont as he trembles with fear. “I was ‘ere fillin’ out papers when they Apparated right in front of me!”


DuPont went on to state that the cloaked wizards didn’t seem to notice him as they hurried off to another floor.


They arrived at a quarter past eleven in the evening when the Ministry was nearly empty. Each was wearing a black cloak and a mask. Eyewitnesses on the ninth floor say that the men looked determined. After destroying the offices, apparently searching for something, ex-Minister of Magic Cornelius Fudge entered the building. He was sent to see what the disturbance was and failed to save himself. The other witnesses told Daily Prophet reporters that they were hiding from sight, fearing their own lives.


“No, I don’t regret it!” says Oswald Barkley, 52. “I have a wife and child at home that rely on me.”


Story continued on page 4
Exclusive interview with Fudge’s family and friends page 7
Plans for tighter security page 13



Harry glanced up from the article, his face white with shock. Obviously, the Death Eaters weren’t bothering to keep quiet anymore. But what were they searching for?


“Oh, poor Fudge!” Mrs. Weasley gasped, looking just as pale as Harry. “I told you! I told you! If you had gone to work…”


“Molly … this happened last night,” Mr. Weasley interrupted her quietly.


“Still, it’s very dangerous, I don’t feel safe in my own house “ what was that?” She turned around so quickly that she cricked her neck.


“It’s just the toast, mum,” said George.


“I don’t want to stay here, Arthur. Isn’t there anywhere safer we can go?”

“How about Number 12 Grimmauld Place?” Ron suggested with a nervous glance at Harry.


Hermione seemed impressed. “That’s not a bad idea, Ron.”


He beamed at her and awkwardly decided to busy himself with some more spaghetti, dropping the majority of it on the floor.


“It’s extremely well-protected, I mean …” she continued, blushing slightly, watching Ron mop up tomato sauce. “With all the safety measures Mr. Black put on it in his day …”


“Didn’t Lupin say he sold everything in the house under Harry’s order?” Charlie said with an inquisitive look at his parents. Harry squirmed uncomfortably. He had said that, but only because he hoped never to go there again. He remembered Sirius’ disgust at all his family heirlooms while they were cleaning last year. The family tree, he supposed, must still be stuck firmly on the wall, along with the portrait of Mrs. Black. He remembered Mundungus trying to steal objects of worth like the silver goblets with the Black family crest; expensive silverware and jewelry, like the heavy locket that no one could open. Sirius had caught him most of the time, and on the occasion when Mundungus had been smuggling the locket in his hat, Sirius had kicked him out of the house. But Kreacher was another matter all together. He tried to salvage memories of his masters.


Harry cringed at the thought of Kreacher, Sirius’ traitor, but he decided to ask if he might be useful.


“You know, Harry, he might be!” said Mrs. Weasley enthusiastically.


“Molly, are you serious?” said Mr. Weasley with a sigh, “our house is perfectly safe!”


“No, Arthur, I don’t trust it!” she shrieked, looking positively insane with worry, “I care about the well-being of my family too much, don’t you?”


“Of course I do, dear, of course,” he muttered sheepishly.


“Harry, why don’t you summon Kreacher?” Charlie suggested, turning to face Harry.


He called Kreacher’s name with complete revulsion in his voice. There was a loud crack as a hideous houself materialized in the Weasley’s cramped kitchen. He was wearing a shrunken tea towel around his waist, which was covered in dark stains.


“Oh, great,” he muttered to himself, but loud enough for everyone to hear, “the mudblood and blood traitors… oh, and it’s that Potter boy, oh yes, Kreacher’s new ‘master’, oh, but he’s not a Black, it’s not the same, him and his mudblood friends.”


“Shut it Kreacher,” George spat.


“Kreacher,” Ginny said, speaking for the first time, “Go find out if Number 12 is fit for living.”


Kreacher gave a start to see her talking to him.


“Oh, look, the blood traitor talks to me, as if she has the right to command me, oh, if my master could see me now, oh what would he say to old Kreacher…”


“Go to Number 12 now! And see if it’s fit for living,” Harry said venomously. “And come back with news right away.”


With one last hateful look around the kitchen, there was a loud crack, and Kreacher was gone.


“Harry, would you be alright with staying there?” asked Mrs. Weasley, giving him a furtive glance.


“If it means that everyone will be safe, then yes, it’s for the best,” he replied truthfully.


He did want the Weasley’s to be safe, even if it meant living amongst awful memories of Sirius’ pain. He thought of Ginny, and of what Lupin had told Hermione; Number 12 Grimmauld Place would be a safe spot to hide if they got back together…


CRACK!


Kreacher, who had obviously just returned from his old master’s house, brought Harry abruptly back to reality.


“With a few touchups, it is fit for human habitation” he said bitterly, “although my mistress would not approve of mudbloods and blood traitors in her home, oh no. But the Potter boy will ignore what Kreacher says, indeed. Oh, if my mistress could see who Kreacher is bound to now…” he added as a nasty afterthought.


“Good, Kreacher, now go back and work at Hogwarts, I’ll call if I need you,” said Harry, averting his eyes from the insane elf as it dissolved into thin air.


“Anyway,” Charlie said. He seemed to want to get off the topic of Kreacher. “Who did Lupin sell everything to?”


“I think he gave it to an associate at the Ministry, who works on the ninth floor, or something,” said Mr. Weasley, with an absentminded wave of his hand.


“You’d best go and pack some things that you’ll need at number 12,” Mrs. Weasley said kindly as she cleared the plates.


Fred, George, Ron and Hermione got up at once and ascended the stairs. Charlie flicked open the paper to read up on the happenings at the Ministry. Harry already had all his belongings packed in his trunk, so instead decided to help with the dishes.


“No, no, Harry dear, you go and relax,” Mrs. Weasley said as he tried to clear the table. Reluctantly, he headed upstairs.


“Hiya Harry!” It was Fred, beaming at him. “I’m off to find all my socks, do you want to come and see if you lost any too?”


“Um, no thanks, Fred, I’m going to help Ron,” he lied.


As Fred marched back down the stairs, Harry walked determinedly towards a door on his left of a room he had never entered. He knew if he didn’t do it now, he never would. He raised a slightly shaking fist and knocked.
Chapter Five - Reunited by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 5 “ Reunited


Meanwhile downstairs, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were having a private conversation.


“Ginny has been very quiet lately, like the first time she met Harry, remember?” Mr. Weasley said, his brow furrowed.


“I do remember,” Mrs. Weasley replied slowly, “But I doubt it has anything to do with Harry. Should we ask Hermione if she knows if anything is wrong?”

“I suppose we could. Should I call her?” Mrs. Weasley nodded and Mr. Weasley called up the stairs.


Hermione came cautiously down the stairs, and Mrs. Weasley hurried toward her.


“Do you know if Ginny’s alright? She hasn’t been herself lately!” Mrs. Weasley said without preamble.


“Why do you think so?” Hermione said hesitantly. She didn’t want to betray Ginny’s trust.


“She’s been very quiet, and every once in a while, I hear her crying… did she have a fight with that boyfriend of hers? That Dean boy?” Mrs. Weasley pressed.


“No, they broke up…”


“When?”


“Last year.” Hermione’s inner debate told her that Ginny wouldn’t want her parents to worry.

“She’s upset because of Harry. They dated and broke up a while ago.”


“What! They broke up? Oh, it must be so awkward for them to be living here together! Oh, Arthur, what should we do?”


“It was on good terms, but I think they should be together.”


“But she’s hurt isn’t she?” She looked at her husband as though expecting him to answer her question.


“What about Ginny’s safety?” Mr. Weasley asked, ignoring Mrs. Weasley’s pleading eyes, “You-Know-Who could use this somehow.”


“Lupin said that if those two get back together, they should keep it quiet. She should be safe, shouldn’t she?”


“I suppose so. We could put an ancient protective charm on them to keep them safe no matter where they are,” Mr. Weasley said, racking his brain for protective spells.


“I’ve always hoped that they would get together,” Mrs. Weasley said with a weak smile, “I can’t think of a better boy for my little Ginny.”


~*~*~


Harry knocked three times on the door, and heard footsteps on the other side. The door opened and Ginny peered around it at Harry. She looked surprised o see him, but allowed him to enter.


“Hi Ginny,” Harry said with a sheepish smile, “Can I talk to you?”


Glancing around the room, Harry saw that it was very well decorated. It was painted light pink, and there were posters all along the walls of her favourite wizarding bands, mostly of the Weird Sisters. Her bedspread was pink too, and covered in flower-shaped pillows. She had a small white desk in the corner that had all her schoolbooks piled on it, and spare bits of parchment littered the surface.


The room, Harry noticed, was very clean. There was no stray clothing lying on the floor, the bed was made, and her school trunk was almost completely full.


“So,” she said interrupting his thoughts, “What did you want to talk to me about?”


Harry just stared at her, at a complete loss for words. He watched a shimmer of light dancing on her long hair. Figuring he should say something soon, he spluttered, “I just wanted to talk about…” he paused. How was he supposed to say this? It was so much easier last time when he had just kissed her, and all feelings were made clear.


“About… what I said before,” he said slowly, rising to his feet, “I’ve been talking with Hermione, and she reckons, assuming of course if you want to, that we, that is to say, you and I could…” Harry let his voice trail off as he looked up into Ginny’s eyes.


“Get back together,” she finished for him in a soft voice looking right back into Harry’s eyes. Her expression was blank; Harry couldn’t tell what she was thinking.


“Lupin agrees, as long as I take Occlumency, and we don’t tell anyone, aside from family, and, well, Lupin I suppose,” Harry said quickly, averting his gaze to the floor again. “I’m sure we could even have some sort of protective spell put on you and “”


The rest of Harry’s sentence was cut off as Ginny kissed him. This was what he had hoped her reply would be.


Ron suddenly burst into the room grinning, but his smile faded as he saw his best friend kissing his sister.


Harry, unsure how long the kiss had lasted, broke away from her to glance nervously at Ron.


“Hermione was just talking to mum and dad,” he said slowly, “they reckon it would be ok if you two went out again, but I guess you already made the decision.


Harry looked at Ginny, who was watching Ron uncertainly. Oddly, she didn’t seem upset with this private conversation concerning her love life. Ron’s face seemed to have hardened, and he opened his mouth to speak, but Ginny cut him off.


“Well, I guess it’s alright then,” she said. There was a challenging note in her voice.


“I just don’t want to walk into rooms to see you two doing that, it’s just weird,” he said with the same tone as Ginny.


“Then I’d better not walk into rooms to see you and Hermione snogging,” she said.


Ron seemed to be thinking this over as his ears reddened.


“Just don’t let me see you.”


Harry grinned. Did this mean that Ron and Hermione were officially a couple? When he asked, Ron flushed darker and told them to pack.


“Mum says that we’re leaving as soon as we can.” Still scarlet, Ron hurried upstairs to finish gathering up his belongings.


Harry was still smiling as he turned to face his renewed girlfriend.


“I knew you’d come around,” Ginny’s smile was even bigger than Harry’s as she threw her arms around him in a hug.




Harry helped her pack up the remainder of her things as they talked, catching up with each other.


“Come on, everybody, let’s go quickly!” Mrs. Weasley’s voice called up the stairs.


Taking advantage of being allowed to perform magic outside of school, Harry levitated Ginny’s and his trunks and Hedwig’s cage. Ginny took his hand in hers and they made their way to the kitchen, their trunks clunking together in front of them.


When they arrived beside the kitchen fireplace, Mrs. Weasley glanced absentmindedly at their hands. She broke into a smile.


“Oh, that’s great, dears! Ron told you then?” she squealed.


“No, they decided for themselves, I walked in on them,” Ron said, dragging his trunk down the stairs.


Harry felt himself blushing. He wished Ron had left out the last part. Ginny’s face was bright pink, but Mrs. Weasley beamed.


“I’ll call Arthur, he can put the charm on you two. Arthur! Are you ready yet?”


Mr. Weasley came down the stairs distractedly trying to fasten his cloak, but gave up when he realized it was on backwards.


“Yes, Molly?” He said, finally putting his cloak back on the right way. He suddenly noticed Harry and Ginny standing close together holding hands, and his expression was the same a his wife’s.


“Oh, you two are… well then, should I put the charm on them?” He asked looking uncomfortably around at Mrs. Weasley.


She nodded, and Mr. Weasley tapped Harry and Ginny’s entwined hands, muttering a complicated spell. Harry felt a floating sensation course through his body. He let out a small gasp of shock when he realized that he and Ginny were glowing brilliantly white. The next second, he had returned to normal.


“That,” Mrs. Weasley said, “will act as a shield, but it will wear out in time. Alright, is everybody ready to go?”


Mr. Weasley went to call the rest of his children and Hermione as Mrs. Weasley lit a fire.


“Why don’t you to go first,” she said looking nervous, “I want to leave as soon as possible.


Ginny grabbed a fistful of Floo powder, threw it in the fire and, clutching her trunk, said “Number 12 Grimmauld Place,” and was gone.


“You go next, Harry.”


He took the Floo powder in his hand and stepped into the grate.


“Number 12 Grimmauld Place.”
Chapter Six - Dumbledore's Return by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 6 “ Dumbledore’s return


The Burrow whipped out of view as Harry and his trunk whirled though endless fireplaces.


A second later, he landed in his godfather’s old house and Ginny helped him to his feet.


The rest of the Weasleys arrived one by one, stumbling out into the spacious kitchen.


“Well,” Mr. Weasley said, straightening up. “I guess you can all go make yourselves at home. Who knows how long we’ll be here?”


Harry and Ron headed towards their usual room, so did Hermione and Ginny. Fred, George and Charlie stayed behind to help unload the Weasley’s belongings.


Walking down the memory filled hallways, Harry thought of all the changes that needed to be made to make the house less gloomy, and more livable. His first thought would be to take the elf heads off the walls. He felt odd to be back in a house with so many memories, and he remembered his godfather, whom he had hardly known. The fire to destroy Voldemort blazed inside him.


He opened the door of his and Ron’s familiar 2-bedded room, and Ron immediately began adding homey touches. Within minutes, his side of the room was covered in Chudley Canon posters. He ripped off the moldy old bedcover and replaced it with his own bright orange one. It was bedecked with moving Canon players on broomsticks, passing the quaffle to each other, and dodging bludgers.


Fluffing up his pillow, Ron turned to see Harry watching him, mouth slightly open.


“Well, he said sheepishly, “I wanted to make myself at home.”


Harry started unpacking his own trunk, holding back a laugh. He had nothing of sentimental value to put on display to make his half of the room look friendly, except old birthday cards and the photo album Hagrid had given him.


He hung all his robes neatly in the closet and when he checked to see if he’d forgotten anything, he noticed shattered glass lining the bottom of his trunk “ Sirius’ mirror. Picking up one of the pieces, Harry could see his reflection gazing back at him. It was a face full of sadness and knowledge; one who has seen the hardships of life “ and death. Harry had so far witness five murders, five more than anyone ever should. As he stared at the mirror, he couldn’t help but wonder who was next. He never wanted to put anyone he loved in mortal danger again. Ginny’s image swam to the front of his mind. If she ever got hurt, he knew that he would never be able to live a normal life. He blinked back tears as Ron spoke to him.


“Hey, Harry, I’m going downstairs, are you coming?”


“No, thanks, I’ll meet you down there.”


Ron shrugged and left the room. Harry returned to the closet to rifle through his meager possessions. His hand grazed against the soft, silvery fabric of the Invisibility Cloak that Dumbledore had passed on to him from Harry’s own father.


“Severus, please,”


Avada kedavra!


Dumbledore’s blank, blue eyes “ Dumbledore’s cold, lifeless body “ Dumbledore dead “


“Harry?”


Harry froze, his sleeve dabbing at his wet eyes. He knew that voice “ but, no, he was being stupid. He turned around and felt his heart skip a beat or two in shock and amazement. It was…


“Professor?” Harry gasped.


He was facing the old portrait of Sirius’ great-great grandfather Phineas Nigellus, but it wasn’t Phineas at all.


Albus Dumbledore was beaming back at him.


“I believe you sent Dobby to see me, Harry,” he said with a small wink. “I was able to visit Phineas, and to my great surprise and pleasure, all his other portraits as well, or, er, this is the only other portrait. He wasn’t very popular, you know.”


Seeing that Harry was at a loss for words, Dumbledore continued.


“I was informed that you, Hermione and the Weasley’s all moved here today, so I knew that it was due time I paid a visit.”


“Professor-” Harry repeated, “you “ I “ we can communicate!”


Dumbledore smiled.


“Yes. It ought to come in handy during your search for the horcruxes, but I will not be able to physically help you, nor can I be with you all the time. It’s a whole other world being a portrait!”


This was the Dumbledore Harry remembered, the one he had been longing for all summer.


“Harry,” he said, looking suddenly serious, “could you call Molly and Arthur in here, please?”

Harry dashed off along the halls down towards the kitchen. He burst in breathless, and motioned for Mr. and Mrs. Weasley to follow him.


“Harry, dear, there you are,” Mrs. Weasley said, apparently not understanding Harry’s gestures, “Would you believe it? Remus really did sell everything! There’s no cutlery, no plates, no glasses, no - ”


“Mrs. Weasley, could you please come upstairs a minute?” Harry interrupted impatiently, “it’s… Mr. Weasley, you, too.”


With looks of utmost confusion on their faces, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley followed him to his bedroom.


When they entered, Dumbledore was absentmindedly twiddling his thumbs, gazing around the room.


“Albus!” Mrs. Weasley shrieked, “oh, Albus, I knew it!” She ran over to the portrait and attempted unsuccessfully to hug it.


“Hello, Molly, hello Arthur!” Dumbledore said cheerfully. “I would like to explain something of importance to you, please.”


Mr. and Mrs. Weasley sat down looking worried as Dumbledore selectively explained about the horcruxes, and how two were already destroyed. He revealed his suspicions, his concerns and some of the dangers that Harry would ultimately have to face.


“I am going to help Harry the best I can,” he said, coldness jetted into his eyes for a minute, “but there are things of which I cannot be certain. I was wrong about Severus Snape, I could be wrong about much more.”


The room was silent. Harry had not properly discussed Dumbledore’s death with anybody yet, much less Dumbledore himself.


“Oh, and Harry,” he said as though he had only just remembered, “you will have to destroy the locket that we retrieved, I can teach you the spell, it’s…”


“Professor,” Harry said. He had not thought about the horcruxes since he had read the note written by R.A.B.


He told Dumbledore about the locket having been a fake.


Dumbledore sighed.


“I could have thought,” he said, "but the problem now is where the actual locket may be, and the matter of who R.A.B. is must be discussed."


Harry hadn’t even bothered to think about R.A.B. Harry went into his bedside table and retrieved the note from the locket. He held it up for Dumbledore to see, and in turn, Mr. and Mrs. Weasley.


“I suppose he was a Death Eater,” Harry said slowly once everyone had finished reading, “Because they are the only ones I’ve ever heard call Voldemort the Dark Lord.”


“And they have to be dead,” Mr. Weasley said looking at Dumbledore for approval, who nodded.


“But he knew he was going die! He must have done something, like betray You-know-who…” Mrs. Weasley said looking concerned again.


“Very observant, Molly, I think you’re right,” Dumbledore said with a small smile, “well, we have time to figure this out. For now, Harry, get adjust to your new residence. I must go help Minerva with the positions of the staff.” He winked, and was gone.


The rest of the day was spent dusting away cobwebs, discarding elf heads, and adding the Weasley’s belonging. Mr. Weasley had to return to the Burrow twice to retrieve forgotten possessions. Fred and George had decided that they could live at home again since it was so much closer to work than the Burrow was, and they where beginning to feel lonely. After growing up with so many people in the house, it is hard to go back to any other way. They decided to go to Diagon Alley the next day to pick up their belongings. The rest of the family, Harry and Hermione planned to go, too; Ginny needed her supplies for next term, and the rest thought it would be a fun day trip. Even though Harry, Ron and Hermione had received their letters from Hogwarts, they knew they weren’t going to go. Upon telling this to Mrs. Weasley, Ron had gotten a three-hour lecture. She still sniffed disapprovingly every time the topic of Hogwarts came up in a conversation.


“But mum,” Ron had tried to reason exasperatedly, “fighting You-know-who is more important than getting my NEWT’s!”


“Yes, but you won’t be fully qualified!” She said tearfully. “First Fred and George, now you… Ginny, you better stay in school!”


“I don’t have to stay for my NEWT’s either!” She had said, “I got 10 OWL’s, better than Ron!”


“We are not talking about this now, you’re finishing school, and that’s that.”


Mrs. Weasley decapitated the beetle whose juice she had been attempting to squeeze out in order to make a remedial stew.


Ginny winced. “Mum, I don’t know why you make that, nobody likes it!”


“It’s healthy!” She snapped, “it relieves stress, we could all use that now!”


Harry, Ron, Hermione and Ginny decided that would be best to leave her alone right now. They walked around examining the new decorations. They arrived at the room with the Black family tree. Sirius had explained who everyone was to Harry, but the others and not heard.


“There’s where Tonks is supposed to be, and there’s where your family got blasted off,” Harry said to Ron and Ginny. Hermione was more interested with Sirius’ immediate family.


“I didn’t know that Sirius had a brother,” she said, “Regulus Alphard Black, I wonder where he is now?”


“He’s dead,” Harry said shortly, “he was a Death Eater, but he got scared and tried to back out. Voldemort doesn’t stand for that.”


“Looks like Sirius has been blasted off here, too,” Hermione said scrutinizing the bottom of the tree, ignoring Ron’s wince.

But something had just clicked in Harry’s head.


“Regulus Alphard Black?” He said, his mind reeling with realization.


“But that means, his initials are…”
Chapter Seven - Diagon Alley by snufflesismyidol
Chapter Seven - Diagon Alley

“Professor Dumbledore!” Harry was shouting at Phineas Nigellus’ empty frame, “Professor, are you there?”

“Bloody hell, boy, stop shouting!” Phineas’ drawling voice said, “I’ll get him, just shut up, will you?”


As his voice faded, Harry heard him mumbling, “Selfish teenagers, it’s always gimme, gimme…”


Dumbledore appeared in the frame, worry etched in every line of the old, painted face. “Harry, what is it? Are you alright?”

“R.A.B.,” Harry said, bursting with excitement, “I think it’s Sirius’ brother, Regulus!”


Dumbledore’s expression changed from worry to surprise in an instant.


“What’s Regulus’ middle name?”


“It’s Alphard, Professor, and it fits!” Harry said breathlessly, “He was a Death Eater, and he’s dead. He probably knew that he would die, too! He tried to back out of Voldemort’s rank!”


“Harry, I’m proud of you!” Dumbledore smiled. “you figured this out by yourself, and I’m certain that you are right. Before he died, Regulus came to me saying that he had to tell me something of importance, but he seemed to think better of it. He was sick and worried, and left in a hurry. That afternoon, he was found dead in his house.”


“Not Grimmauld Place?” Harry gasped. If Death Eaters had managed to break into this house once, they could do it again.


“No, not Grimmauld Place; he had already moved out. Number 12 is quite safe.”


Harry had just realized something that he had not thought about.


“Professor,” he said, using his words carefully, “I thought you were the secret keeper, but you can’t be now because…Well……You’re…You’re dead.”


Dumbledore chuckled.


“In fact,” he said smiling, “it’s even more safe! I can’t be killed, and they can’t very well hold my portrait hostage until I give them the location.”


Thinking this over, Harry thought that it made a lot of sense.


“But the locket, what happened to it?”


“I've yet to formulate any proper guesses,” Dumbledore sighed. “You still remember what it looks like, right?”


Harry shook his head no. The image had long since left his head. Dumbledore paused.


“I want you to have the clearest picture. The night I died, I put some important memories in my Pensieve; I knew that the journey would be dangerous. I will talk to Minerva and see to it that you receive my Pensieve. These memories will help you, and you can store your own.”


“Thanks Professor!” The pensieve would definitely help him locate the missing horcruxes.


“You’re quite welcome, Harry. Now, if you don’t mind, I will discuss this with Minerva. Good day.”

~*~*~

When Harry arrived in the kitchen, he was surprised to see Remus Lupin sitting at the table talking with Mr. Weasley and Charlie. He looked up when the door opened and smiled.


“Harry, there you are,” he said, standing up to shake his hand. “How have you been?”


“Fine,” Harry replied.


“That’s good. I was just talking to Arthur and Charlie about Severus Snape.”


A shiver ran through Harry’s spine. Lupin’s face had hardened, and Charlie was suddenly very interested in his fingernails.


“He is apparently Voldemort’s right-hand man now, and a great threat to the Order. He has been playing double agent for years, and has acquired plenty of our information. If he is ever caught, he will be sent to Azkaban for murder.”


“He deserves more,” Charlie said bitterly.


“It is important that we find him before he can spill all of our information and plans,” Mr. Weasley said, rubbing his temple.


“Or, we’d have to change our plans, and use the ones that Snape knows to get him into trouble, or corner him so we can catch the slimy git,” Charlie said.


“The Ministry Plan!” Lupin exclaimed, “We could use it to lure and capture them.”


"Well,” Mr. Weasley sighed, “we could discuss it at the meeting tomorrow. Kingsley Shacklebolt is in charge of the Ministry Plan, so I’m sure he’ll have some input.”


Mrs. Weasley entered the dining area at this point, carrying stacks of dishes with food floating on the plates in front of her. With a small flick of her wand, the dishes flew out of her hands and started setting themselves around the table. Another flick set the food down.


“Charlie, could you go call the others, please?” She said. When Charlie had gone, Mrs. Weasley told Harry to sit down. He was already piling mashed potatoes onto his plate when Fred, George, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny entered the kitchen.


“There you are, Harry!” Ron said sitting next to him, “Did you tell Dumbledore about R.A.B.?”


“What’s that?” Charlie asked.


Harry explained only what he had to about R.A.B. and the Horcruxes, and what Dumbledore had said.


“So he can be killed?” Mrs. Weasley asked, her eyes wide.


“Yes,” Harry sighed, “But only I can kill him.”


“Well,” Mrs. Weasley said as her voice cracked, “I think it’s time for bed.”


“Mum, it’s only 9:30!” Fred complained, "we're of age, we can go to sleep when we like!"


“NOW!”

~*~*~

“Harry, get up!” Harry received a blow to the head from a pillow.


“ARGH! Geroff me!”


“Wake up! We’re going to Diagon Alley right after breakfast!” Ron said cheerfully.


10 minutes later, Harry trudged sleepily into the kitchen and was greeted by the Weasley’s, Hermione, and Lupin, who had stayed over night.


“Hey, Harry,” Ginny said. He pulled out the chair next to her and grabbed some toast as he sat down.


“Hurry up and eat, Harry dear, we’re leaving soon,” Mrs. Weasley said, brushing crumbs out of Ron’s hair. “Honestly, Ron, how do you get food in you hair?”


Harry shoveled down some breakfast, and was ushered towards the fire.


“Come on, and make sure you say the name clearly, that means you, Harry!” Mrs. Weasley said, handing him the tin of Floo Powder.


Harry stepped into the fire, dropped the Floo Powder, and said, “Diagon Alley!”


When everyone else had arrived in Diagon Alley, Harry took Ginny’s hand, and they, Ron, and Hermione said goodbye to the rest of the group and went their own way, after much of Mrs. Weasley’s protesting. Harry found himself wishing that it were just Ginny and himself.


“Ron, why don’t we go see Fred and George’s joke shop? We can help them move, and Harry and Ginny can go buy their school supplies,” Hermione said, displaying her usual comprehension and brilliance.


Ron looked skeptically at Harry and Ginny before saying “I dunno--” But Hermione steered him towards Weasley’s Wizarding Wheezes.


Harry and Ginny set off to Flourish and Blott’s, Harry feeling much happier about their newfound privacy.


“So, what’s on your book list?” Harry said, as he opened the door to let Ginny in.


“Er, I need, well,” she blushed slightly, “I’m planning on becoming an Auror.”


Harry had a sudden vision of Ginny fighting Death Eaters, and being struck by a curse. He pictured her blank, lifeless eyes.


“You are?” He said, unsure about how he should feel.


“Don’t get all protective on me,” she said as though reading his mind. “McGonagall reckons I’d do a great job, and that I’d be hard to bring down.”


“I wasn’t!” He lied quickly, “I’ve seen the result of your bat-bogey hex! Any Death Eater would be terrified to meet you!”


Ginny laughed as she picked out her books for Transfiguration, Potions, Charms, and Herbology.


After visiting Madame Malkins’, Ginny decided that since Ron wouldn’t be returning to Hogwarts, she couldn’t use Pigwidgeon to deliver her letters.


“I want to pick out a nice brown owl,” she said thoughtfully as they headed towards Eeylops’ Owl Emporium.


As they turned the corner to face the street where the emporium was located, they heard a series of loud noises and bangs.


“My God!” Ginny whispered. “Not them, too!”


The owl emporium had been blown to pieces. Owls that had escaped were shooting into the sky. Rats were scurrying down the street as fast as they could to flee the scene. No one was coming out of the rubble. Ginny ran towards the nearest owl trapped in a cage. It was hooting loudly in terror. She opened the cage door and the bird circled overhead.


There were loud footsteps thundering behind him. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley, Charlie and Lupin were running towards them. Charlie swore loudly and continued running towards the wreckage, kicking pieces of stone and wood away, apparently looking for survivors. He whipped out his wand and levitated the entire roof.


“Morsmordre!”


Mr. Weasley attempted to stun what was undoubtedly a Death Eater, but with a loud CRACK, he was gone.


“I know that voice!” Lupin shouted with rage as the Dark Mark gleamed above. “How could I forget Severus Snape?”


“He was here?” Harry asked, infuriated. Lupin nodded hastily.


“Mum, dad!” Charlie yelled, “Come here!” He was trying to pull a man to his feet.


“Joe Curtley!” Mrs. Weasley shrieked, “We have to leave! Arthur, the children!”


Right on cue, Ron, Hermione, Fred and George came dashing into the alleyway. There were distant cries echoing along the street.


“Oh, thank goodness!” Mrs. Weasley said, pulling them into a tight embrace.


“I want all of you to Apparate back home immediately! Go!”


“What about Harry and Ginny?” Fred asked, “They haven’t taken their tests!”


“I have!” Harry argued, “on my birthday, my uncle really took Dumbledore’s words to heart. He took me, and Ginny can side along with me.”


“Good, now GO!” Concentrating with all his might on Grimmauld Place, Harry and Ginny disappeared.


A second later, they landed in the entrance hall of number twelve. Mrs. Black’s portrait was screaming about blood-traitors. The couple tried to force the curtains shut without much luck. When he twins arrived, the four of them together managed to shut the old woman up.


“Well,” George sighed when they all entered the kitchen and took their seats, “that was intense!”


Hermione sniffed, and Ginny was very pale. Ron hadn’t spoken since he had seen the disastrous scene. “Lupin said that Snape was there,” Harry said slowly, “he was right there, and I didn’t even get to face him.”


“Face it, Harry, what would you have done?” George said.


There was a sudden commotion upstairs, and a thunderous ‘BANG’.


“That can’t be mum and dad, it’s too soon!” Ron said at last. Fred and George headed up the stairs, wands in hand.


“Tonks!” Harry heard them say in unison. The twins, followed by a slightly disheveled Tonks came down the stairs.


“Wotcher!” She said to the crowd, “got word from Remus about an attack you witnessed. He thought I should come check on you lot.”


“We’re alright, but thanks for coming,” Ginny said politely.


Harry had just registered that she was carrying a small suitcase.


“Are you planning on staying, Tonks?” He asked.


“Yes. Remus and I don’t feel safe in our own homes either. He’s going to stop by his house on the way back here.”


CRACK, CRACK, CRACK! Charlie and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley all materialized in the kitchen.


“Well,” Mr. Weasley said sounding exhausted, “that’s another murder by the Death Eaters.”


“I’m just glad that Ginny’s off to Hogwarts in a week. At least one of my children will be safe.”


“So you still trust the school?” Charlie asked.


“Of course I do!” She snapped back, “with all the spells and safety -- AARRGH!”


An owl, apparently coming from nowhere, had just landed on her head and was nipping Mrs. Weasley’s flailing fingers in what she obviously thought was an affectionate way.


“Ginny! It’s that owl you saved!” Harry said in surprise, recognizing the brown owl with black markings around his wings. “She must have followed you home!”


“Smart bird,” Fred said appreciatively.


“Mum,” Ginny said turning to Mrs. Weasley with eager eyes as she stroked the owl, “can I keep him? I need and owl anyway.”


“Well, I suppose he doesn’t have a home anymore, so yes, you should keep him. Why don’t you bring him upstairs, introduce him to Hedwig and Pigwidgeon?” Mrs. Weasley said. She turned to her husband.


“Arthur, we should get ready for the meeting, I expect people should be arriving soon.”


A thought had just occurred to Harry as Ginny left the room.


“Mrs. Weasley, could I join the Order now? I’m of age, and well, technically out of school.”


She bit her lip. Harry knew she couldn’t deny him this; he did fulfill the requirements.


“Molly, I think he should,” Mr. Weasley said, “if he’s going to look for the Horcruxes, it may be beneficial if he is in on the meetings. We could tell him what we know, and he can tell us how things are coming along.”


“Then we should, too!” George piped in.


“And Hermione and I!” By the time Kingsley Shacklebolt arrived for the meeting, Mrs. Weasley had caved in. The Order now had five new members. Ginny had fumed about missing the chance to join the Order. Her mother had flat out refused her youngest child’s admission.


“Don’t worry,” Harry had said, pulling her aside, “I’ll tell you everything.”


“Thank you, Harry.” She wrapped her arms around him, and he kissed her. He knew that he’d miss this when Ginny left for Hogwarts in a few days.


“Harry, the meeting’s starting now!” Ron called to him.


He said goodbye to Ginny, and went into the kitchen.

A/N: Chapter 8 is called "the Order of the Phoenix," not much to give away there.
Chapter 8 - The Order of the Phoenix by snufflesismyidol
Chapter Eight “ The Order of the Phoenix


“Hello, Harry!” Kingsley Shacklebolt shook his hand warmly. “Arthur told me that you are now in the Order.”


Harry nodded as he was ushered into a chair beside Hermione. He looked around the table. Beside Hermione were Ron, Fred and George. Mr. and Mrs. Weasley were deep in conversation with another witch and wizard that Harry didn’t know. Lupin was holding hands with Tonks, who was discussing wedding plans with Mad-Eye Moody. Bill and Fleur had just arrived and were being congratulated by a wheezy old wizard whose name Harry couldn’t remember. Charlie had brought down Phineas Nigellus’ old portrait into the kitchen, from which, Dumbledore was now chatting with a plump witch.


Professor McGonagall walked in and spotted Harry. She was carrying a large package wrapped in brown paper.


“Ah, Potter!” she said with a small smile. “I believe Albus wanted you to receive this… oh, there he is!” She waved at the portrait, which winked back. “This is his old Pensieve.


The room went silent. They were all staring at the package.


“A Pensieve?” asked the wheezy old wizard, “those are really rare!”


“Yes, it’s mine, actually,” Dumbledore piped in from the wall where he hung. “I gave it to Harry to help him in his search for Voldemort’s Horcruxes.”


A shiver ran around the room as the plump woman said, “You-Know-Who has a Horcrux?” Her eyes were wide with fear.


“Several, Flora, but two are already destroyed, and one is Voldemort himself.”


Muttering burst out along the table. Obviously Dumbledore had not yet mentioned the Horcruxes to the Order, but he seemed to think that now was the time.


“But where are they? How do we destroy them? Blimey! That leaves four Horcruxes!”


“Please, please!” Dumbledore raised his old, portrait hands. Harry noticed that his right hand was still black, even in his portrait life.


“Harry and I have been discussing this, we know what two of them are, and we are working on how to find them. This is why I gave Harry my Pensieve. It is a matter that Harry must work out by himself, although I urge you all to help him if he needs you to.”


“But, Albus!” said a wizard with a very deep voice, “how do you know what they are?”


Dumbledore paused, as though he wanted say ‘just because’, but he then smiled.


“Because I know Tom Riddle. I know his style, I know his motives, and I know his life story.” This was the same speech Harry had heard a few months ago in the cave.


“So,” said a blond witch beside him, “what are they?”


The group as a whole leaned in as though keen to find out. Dumbledore, however, seemed to think better about telling them.


“This is a matter between Harry and I,” he sighed. “Death has taught me something. I was too trusting of Severus Snape; the whole Order was put at risk. What if someone in this room is actually a spy? Or an imposter? Or under the Imperious curse? I may have been a skilled Legilimens, but so was Severus.”


“I like the way you think!” barked Mad-Eye. He banged his fist on the table sending goblets into the air. “Not everyone is good. Constant vigilance!”


“But, Albus,” Kingsley reasoned, “if we all keep secrets from each other, how are we supposed to get anything done?”


“I’m sorry, Kingsley, but I’m afraid the risk is far too great.”

“Anyway,” Mr. Weasley said quickly - the rest of the group didn’t seem to agree with Dumbledore, “the Ministry plan. We are sure that if we reverse it, we can capture multiple Death Eaters. We were so close to Snape this morning; if only we arrived seconds earlier.”


“Excuse me,” said Hermione, very quietly and tentatively. “What is the Ministry plan?”


“Well, young Order member,” Kingsley said kindly, “it’s actually a very dodgy plan, which involves getting into the Department of Mysteries.”


Harry felt his stomach drop. This was the last place he wanted to go. It was just over a year ago that Sirius had fallen through the Veil of Death to never return again. As though reading Harry’s mind, Kingsley continued.


“We have to examine the Veil of Death. Forcing Death Eaters though it would technically kill them, while not making us murderers, which no one here wants to be. We thought even Voldemort himself would be able to die if he should walk through it. Now, however…I don’t think so, not now that we know he has four Horcruxes!”


“But,” Mr. Weasley said, “if we can lure the Death Eaters there and capture Snape, our information can be salvaged. We are sure he knows about the plan and can use that to his own advantage somehow. He may warn the Death Eaters, or they might show up and try to finish us off. I am sure they are wise to us now and will not allow themselves to be thrown into the Veil.”


“How were you going to lure them there in the first place?” Harry asked.


“Well,” Kingsley answered, “with you,”


“Don’t worry, Harry, not in the physical form, we wouldn’t allow that!” Mr. Weasley rushed to explain. “But with Legilimency. You-Know-Who himself gave us that idea.”


“But I thought he was using Occlumency against me?” Harry said. Dumbledore had mentioned this last year.


“Well, yes, he is, but a stronger Legilimens can break the Occlumens,” Dumbledore said, his chin resting on his folded hands.


“But I’m rubbish! I can’t block anything from my mind, let alone Voldemort!”


“Ah, but Harry, it is not Occlumency, but Legilimency!” Dumbledore smiled.


“And,” Mr. Weasley added, his face hardening, “you have to take Occlumency anyway, if you’re dating Ginny.”


Once again the group muttered, but it was no longer fearful. There was a small outburst of laughter, and someone giggled, “I knew it!”


“Who will teach me?” he asked, trying to ignore the people still smiling about his personal life.


“That would be me.” The deep voice wizard stood up and shook Harry’s hand. “Norwin Mayar,” he said beaming.


He had short brown hair and a moustache much like Uncle Vernon’s, but, unlike Uncle Vernon, he was very lean.


“Norwin is as skilled as Severus, Voldemort and I in Legilimency and Occlumency, perhaps more,” Dumbledore said. “He will give you lessons as often as possible. Although the plan will be altered, we may still need you. And, of course, you have to protect yourself and your young lady friend, in any case,” he winked, and Harry felt himself blush.


“Anyway, Harry,” Dumbledore continued, averting the attention away from Harry’s relationship, “why don’t you open the Pensieve. I would like to show you how to work it.”


Harry eagerly tore open the package. There it was, Dumbledore’s Pensieve, lined with markings in other languages, and filled with the odd substance that is memory.


“I put many memories in there the night I passed, and some are in vials in that box over there. I am sure you will always be able to find the ones you need. I also, as I already told you, put the memories of some friends in there also, the ones I found important. When practicing Occlumency, you can put some, er, more private memories in the Pensieve, and Voldemort won’t be any the wiser. Now, bring that admirable basin upstairs to your own room, the meeting is ending. Goodbye, Harry.”

~*~

The remainder of the week before Ginny returned to Hogwarts was spent redecorating the house. Tonks had bought some brightly coloured paint, and everyone enjoyed the new yellow kitchen, the soft green sitting room, and vibrant purple entrance hall. Harry and Ron had chosen red for their room, and Hermione and Ginny had picked pink. Fred and George naturally chose a blinding orange. Mrs. Weasley levitated more candles to sit in the chandelier, which made every room much brighter.


When September the first arrived much too soon, Ginny was found scurrying around the house gathering her belongings. Dumbledore’s portrait had insisted that only Mr. Weasley should escort her to Platform 9 3/4, and Mad-Eye Moody would be their only guard.


Harry and Ginny shared a rather tearful goodbye, and Harry couldn’t help but worry that this would be the last time he would kiss her.


“Send Hunter with a letter every day,” Harry said.


“I will, you send Hedwig.”


“Be safe”


“I should be telling you that.”


“I’ll miss you.”


“I’ll be back by Christmas.”


“I love you.” Harry paused. It had just slipped out. This was the first time he had said this to anyone, but in his heart, he knew he had meant it. Ginny looked surprised, but finally smiled and kissed him goodbye.


“I love you, too.”


Ginny left for school; much too early, Harry thought. He had just told her that he loved her, and now she was gone. Mrs. Weasley had assured him that the protective charm that Mr. Weasley had placed on them would last even when she was so many miles away, and yet, he couldn’t stop worrying.


“Cheer up, Harry,” Ron said. He seemed a lot less tense since Ginny had left. “She’ll be back at Christmas, you’ll see her then.”


“You’re just glad that those two can’t snog anymore!” Fred butted in.


“What? Not like I care!” Ron snapped.


“Oh, sure Ron! So you just clench your fists because you’ve been taking U-No-Poo, then?” George laughed. Harry didn’t know that it bothered Ron this much. He had seemed ok with everything so far.

~*~

Lupin approached Harry two days after Ginny left.


“Dumbledore told me that you could talk with me about the Horcruxes you know of. He reckons I can help.”


Relieved, Harry explained all about the locket, the cup belonging to Helga Hufflepuff, Nagini, and the one he didn’t yet know.


“This locket,” Lupin said, his brow furrowed, “what did it look like?”


“I can’t remember it exactly, but I can show you!” Harry said, suddenly remembering the Pensieve.


Minutes later, Harry and Lupin plunged headfirst into Hepzibah Smith’s memory. The locket was golden, engraved with a snakelike ‘S’, and looked very heavy.


“Slytherin’s mark,” Voldemort said, before Harry motioned to Lupin that it was all they needed to see.


Arriving back in Harry and Ron’s room, Lupin was shaking as though with self-contempt.


“I’ve seen that locket before,” he muttered.


“Where, did Dumbledore show you?”


“I’ve seen that locket before,” he repeated bitterly, “I’ve sold it! It was in this house, but I sold it!”
Chapter Nine – Letters and Surprises by snufflesismyidol
Chapter Nine “ Letters and Surprises


Dear Harry,


You wouldn’t believe how empty it is here at Hogwarts! In my year, there are only twenty people! It’s only Colin Creevey and I from Gryffindor (his parents are Muggles, they don’t really know about You-Know-Who). Fortunately, Luna Lovegood is here, too, but I can’t be with her all the time. I’ve had to spend a lot of time with people younger than me, because I really don’t want to talk to Lavender Brown. Professor McGonagall has been doing a good job as headmistress, but that means that there is no transfiguration teacher. Also, the Defense Against the Dark Arts position was unable to be filled; people are certain now that it is jinxed. Other teachers take on these classes whenever they can, but it’s just a little odd to see Professor Sprout teaching Defense Against the Dark Arts! Fortunately, Slughorn came back and is head of Slytherin house now. McGonagall has this insane theory of unity, and she got rid of the house tables. We all have to sit at one big table together. It’s ok, though, I can sit with Luna. The Sorting Hat also had words of unity, although there were less than fifteen first years to hear them. I heard that McGonagall wrote letters of warning to all the Muggleborn first-years warning them about You-Know-Who, and hardly anyone wanted to come. I really miss you, Harry, and I’m counting down the days to Christmas. Tell me about everything that’s going on there. I’m really homesick. I’ve always had at least one brother here at Hogwarts with me, and now there’s hardly anyone at all.


Write back soon,
With love,
Ginny



Harry was pleased that Ginny’s owl, Hunter, had made it back to London so quickly. Reading Ginny’s letter was like listening to her speak, and he really missed her. He felt a pang of guilt. She was lonely, and it was his, Harry’s, fault that her own brother Ron wasn’t there with her. He really hoped that she wasn’t cozying up to Colin Creevey in his absence, but he thought better of it. Ginny had said that she loved him.

He grabbed a quill and some parchment, and wrote:

Dear Ginny,

He paused. How could he tell her about everything that had happened in her absence?

If everyone is away, at least you get the common room to yourself!

He crumpled up the parchment. It didn’t sound like him.

Thanks for writing, it’s good to know you got there alright. It must be exciting to have different teachers everyday that don’t really know what to teach you. It’s like a free period.

I’m glad you’re becoming better friends with Luna. I like her; she’s really funny.

Well, since you’ve been gone, the most exciting thing that happened was your mum walking in on Ron and Hermione snogging. She looked like she was going to yell at first, but then she just burst out crying. She was muttering something about being so happy, another wedding, and grandchildren.

Lupin found out where the locket Horcrux is! I showed him the memory, and he remembered where he had seen it before. It was in this house, Grimmauld Place, for years! Apparently, Regulus Black must have brought it here when he stole it. It’s the obvious choice; this place is practically impenetrable. Do you remember that heavy gold locket we found when we were cleaning the house with Sirius? I can’t believe it; I even held it!


Harry reviewed his letter so far. He hoped that it didn’t make her even more homesick. Thinking, he dipped his quill back in the ink. He explained to Ginny about how Lupin had sold everything to a wealthy friend at the ministry. The friend had the locket proudly on display, and Lupin had said that a Death Eater that was a spy at the Ministry must have seen it.

The night that they broke into the Ministry and killed Fudge, they must have been looking for it. Dumbledore said that this could be dangerous. If Voldemort knows that I’m looking for his Horcruxes, he will try to stop me. That could complicate things. So now the Ministry plan has been altered once again to include stealing the locket. The Order does not think that my life is in any danger, though, but they say I should tread carefully. Don’t worry about anything here; we will see you at Christmas.

Harry wrote his goodbye, including an ‘I love you,’ and sent Hedwig off through his bedroom window.

It had been just yesterday that Lupin had recognized the locket, and there were already plans to retrieve it. Harry briefly wondered if the other Horcruxes would be this hard to destroy. He still needed to find Hufflepuff’s cup, something of Gryffindor’s or Ravenclaw’s, and possibly, Dumbledore had believed, Voldemort’s snake, Nagini. Then there was Voldemort himself, which would be the most dangerous journey of all.

“Harry,” Mrs. Weasley was calling him, “Norwin Mayer is here to teach you Occlumency!”

Harry quickly grabbed his heavy Pensieve and hurried downstairs.

“Hello, Mr. Potter,” Mayer said, shaking Harry’s hand, “how are you?”

“I’m fine, thanks,” he said, setting the Pensieve on the kitchen table. Using the spell Dumbledore had taught him, Harry extracted certain thoughts from his head. They included embarrassing moments, time with Ginny, and, on Dumbledore’s orders, detailed memories of the Horcruxes.

“Alright, Mr. Potter, I’ve been told you’ve taken these lessons before, so you know what to do,” he flicked his wand, and the table and chairs disappeared.

“Please clear you mind of all thought and emotion.”

“Sir,” Harry said, “last time I was taught, I didn’t really understand how I was supposed to clear my mind. I didn’t have the best teacher,” he added with a growl.

“Oh, ok, Mr. Potter, one way is to look at an inanimate object, just look, but not really see it. Ok, one, two…”

“One more thing, sir,” Harry interrupted quickly, “I don’t know what to do when I am blocking the spell.”

“Ok, you should just try to end the connection, any way you can, but try not to hurt me, please. One, two, three, Legilimens!”

Just like nearly two years ago, memories flashed before Harry’s mind. But he was still thinking clearly. He shouted the first spell that came to his mind.

“Expecto Patronum!”

The silver stag burst from his wand, cantered around the room, and disappeared. Norwin Mayer looked shocked.

“Did you know you could do that?”

“Yes, I’ve done it before,” Harry replied. It had almost worked, his mind had still been clear.

“Alright, we will try something a bit different. I will ask you a series of yes or no questions to which I do not know the answers, you will tell me either the truth, or a lie, and I will try to find out which is which using Legilimency. You will focus on preventing me from finding out. Are you ready?”

Harry nodded. He wasn’t quite sure how he would do this, but he didn’t want Norwin Mayer to think he was stupid.

“Alright,” Mayer said, and Harry prepared himself, “here we go. Do you have a cloak?”

“Yes,” Harry said, this one was obvious.

“Do you own a broom?”

“No,” Harry lied.

“Is your favourite food pork chops?”

“Yes,” Harry lied again. He preferred chicken.

“Do you own an owl?”

“Yes.”

“Is your wand core dragon heart?”

“Yes.”

“Very good, Potter, but you were lying about the broom, weren’t you?”

“Yes,” he said sheepishly. It must not have worked, then. “Also about the pork chops and my wand.”

“Oh, very good, then! I couldn’t tell!”

There was suddenly a scream from upstairs.

“Oh, dear! What happened?” Mayer barked.

He and Harry rushed up the stairs to see what the matter was. In the entrance hallway were Bill, Fleur, and Mr. and Mrs. Weasley all beaming proudly. Charlie, Fred, George, Ron, and Hermione were running down the stairs to see why someone had screamed. Lupin and Tonks appeared from the sitting room looking worried.

“Who screamed? Is every thing alright, Molly?” Tonks said as Mrs. Weasley buried her face in her hands. She motioned for her husband to explain.

“It’s just,” Mr. Weasley said happily, as though the information was bubbling inside him.

“I’m just, we’re just…” he stuttered before Fleur squealed as though she couldn’t wait any longer.

“We’re going to ‘ave a baby! Well, I mean, two babies!”

“Oh my goodness!” Hermione gasped running over to them. Fred and George beamed proudly as though they were responsible for passing on the twin gene.

“I’m going to be a grandma!” Mrs. Weasley sobbed happily, “I’m going to be a grandma!”

~*~

That night’s dinner was very enjoyable. Hermione had conjured up a glittering pink and blue banner that read ‘Congratulations “ New Baby Weasleys!’ which now hung over the kitchen door. A few members from the Order dropped by to congratulate Bill and Fleur, including Mad-eye Moody, Kingsley Shacklebolt, and two of Bill’s friends from work. Lupin, apologizing continuously, told the group at large that he couldn’t stay.

“Is this a job for the Order?” Harry muttered to Lupin so that only he could hear.

“You could say so,” Lupin answered shortly. “Congratulations once again, Fleur.”

After saying goodbye to Mad-eye, Lupin left, pulling on his traveling cloak.

“More apple pie, Harry?” Mrs. Weasley asked, interrupting Harry’s thoughts about Lupin’s departure.

Two servings of dessert later, most of the visitors decided to leave. Harry and Ron trudged sleepily up the stairs to their bedroom, only to find Dobby the House-elf scurrying around inside cleaning.

“Dobby?” Ron exclaimed, sounding both surprised and amused, “you’ve got to stop stalking Harry like this, it’s rather creepy!”

Dobby bowed so low that when he resurfaced his pencil shaped nose was covered with dust.

“Ron Wheezey must pardon Dobby’s sudden appearance, sir,” Dobby squeaked, his ears drooping slightly, “but Dobby was worried, sir, when Harry Potter did not show up at school! Dobby searched all over the castle, sir! And then Ms. Ginny Wheezey told me Harry Potter would not return, he must defeat He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named, sir.”

“Weasley, Dobby,” Ron corrected the excited elf, “Weasley, not Wheezey.”

“Sorry, Mr. Wheezey, sir,” Dobby said, shifting his feet. Ron rolled his eyes impatiently.

“I is feeling lonely at Hogwarts, sir,” Dobby continued as thought there had been no interruption, “most House-elves have left now and are in hiding! Professor McGonagall is giving us all clothes, if we wish.”

“Hermione would like that,” Harry said, thinking of S.P.E.W.

“Indeed, sir,” Dobby said, nodding his head vigorously, “most have left for good, sir. These are dark times indeed, sir.”

“Are you leaving too, Dobby?” Harry asked.

“Not yet, sir. I is faithful to Hogwarts. They is needing me there, sir!” he swelled importantly, “I is now cleaning ALL the common rooms, sir!

“But why are you here, Dobby?” Harry said. It seemed that every time Dobby paid him an unexpected visit, it was to tell him something important. Dobby’s eyes were suddenly wide with fear.

“Word gets around in the Slytherin common room, sir. Is it true that Severus Snape is with He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named now?”

Harry felt a surge of anger. Dobby was just curious “ him and everyone else in the world.

“Yes, Dobby, is there anything else?” Harry asked irritably.

“Yes, Harry Potter, sir,” Dobby said shyly.

“I heard Professor McGonagall talking with someone in her office as I was cleaning, sir,” he said quickly, “what is a Horcrux?”

Dobby looked so eager that Harry explained only what was necessary. He neglected to mention the Voldemort had several.

“But why did you come ask me, Dobby?”

“Because, sir,” Dobby said, “your name was brought up in the conversation.”

“What else did she say?”

“She mentioned Professor Dumbledore, and random objects, but I is knowing one of the objects, sir!” he exclaimed excitedly.

“She mentioned a cup, sir, and a House-elf. Hokey was my mother, Harry Potter sir!”
Chapter 10 - The Fight by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 10 “ The Fight

“So, what exactly did Dobby say?”

It was morning, and Hermione was interrogating Harry at the small sitting room table. Earlier that morning, he had explained all about his conversation with the house-elf to Dumbledore, Hermione, Lupin and the entire Weasley family. Dumbledore had looked very pleased, although it was getting hard to tell. Phineas Nigellus’ frame was being carried all over the house now-a-days, and it was showing. There were pumpkin juice stains from when Tonks had tripped over Crookshanks, paint from the furious paint war Harry and Ron had started and blood, although no one was quite sure where that came from.

“I already told you,” Harry sighed. It was much too early, and Hermione was testing his patience. He had just explained this.

“But tell me again “ I’m only trying to help!” she snapped back at him.

Harry rubbed his eyes and began to explain once again about Dobby.

“Dobby’s mother’s masters were the Smith family, and apparently, Dobby has seen the cup before.”

“Wait,” Hermione interrupted, sounding confused, “if he was alive back then to see the cup, that would mean Dobby is…”

“Nearly seventy years old, yeah,” Harry finished for her. “And supposedly, that’s young for a house-elf. Dobby said his mother lived to be, what, a hundred and forty-two?”

“Oh my goodness, being enslaved for over one hundred years, the injustice, it’s just…”

“Will you give S.P.E.W. a rest, Hermione? There are more important things right now!” Harry said irritably.

“How can you say house-elf rights aren’t important?” Hermione jumped to her feet, flushing red.

“The issue here is Voldemort, Hermione, not house-elves!” Harry stood up also.

“Well, if you think I’m wasting my time, Harry, maybe I should go talk to someone who is interested in my views!” She marched over to the door and disappeared through it.

Great, Harry thought, just great. He had just made his most reliable source angry with him, but it was her fault! She was over-exaggerating a stupid thing.

Girls. Harry shook his head. They were so confusing sometimes. He suddenly felt sorry for Ron. He had just unleashed an unstable monster into his path.

~*~

Harry entered the kitchen for breakfast to find everyone who was living in the house sitting around the table surrounded by porridge and toast. Hermione glared at him as he sat down next to Ron.

“Morning, Harry,” a few people mumbled sleepily.

“Could you pass the butter please, Ron?” Hermione asked in barely a whisper. Ron didn’t hear her and started chatting with Fred about the most recent Quidditch match between England and Italy.

“Aw, and when the English keeper saved that shot from Pietro Galo… that was amazing!” Ron said excitedly.

“Yeah, the way he caught it upside-down with his feet…wow!” Fred said in awe.

“Um, Ron,” Hermione said a little louder, “the butter, please?”

“I heard that they’re trying to improve the Firebolt,” Ron continued.

“Ron, I’d like the butter, please.”

“They can’t improve perfection!”

“Butter, Ron.”

“Imagine how fast that broom would be, it would just…”

“FOR GOD’S SAKE, RON, I’VE ASKED A THOUSAND TIMES, PASS THE BUTTER!” Hermione was on her feet again, her irritation clearly written on her face. Ron looked both shocked and scared as he shakily pushed the butter dish towards her, mouth slightly open.

“YOU NEVER LISTEN TO ME! AM I JUST TALKING TO THE WALL HERE?”

“I “ well “ I…” Ron stuttered nervously.

“FORGET IT, YOU DON’T CARE ABOUT WHAT I HAVE TO SAY ANYWAY!” She made a noise of disgust as she rushed out of the kitchen. The room rang with silence. Everyone stared disbelievingly at the door.

“So,” Tonks said slowly, “tea, anyone?”

“Yeah, I’ll have some.”

“Some sugar in mine.”

“I like a little slice of lemon…”

~*~

An hour later, Hermione had still not been seen. Ron was pacing around his and Harry’s room in a state of mingled fury and confusion.

“She overreacted, right?”

“Of course,” Harry responded dutifully.

“I mean, I didn’t hear her!”

“Of course.”

“And now why won’t she talk to me?”

“Of course.”

“What?”

“What?”

Ron had been complaining non-stop for an hour, and Harry had stopped paying attention. For the past fifteen minutes, Harry had been trying to move a spoon across the table with his mind.

“Should I talk to her?”

“I dunno,” Harry sighed, deciding it was time to contribute his advice. “Maybe you should let her cool down.”

“Yeah.” Ron finally sat down on the edge of his bed and placed his head in hands with a groan of frustration.

~*~

By dinnertime, neither Ron nor Hermione were in fit states to talk about the morning’s row. Harry decided it would be best not to take sides as he already feared that the relationship was over.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley had told him sharply. “This is one small, pointless fight. They’ll get over it.”

She sat down at the kitchen table with a cup of tea in her hands and sighed.

“Welcome to an adult relationship.”

Harry still wasn’t certain that either of them knew they were in an adult relationship, or much less, that they were even adults. He suddenly felt a stroke of loneliness. Amidst the row, Harry had almost forgotten about his own girlfriend.

“Ginny!” he said out loud.

“What about her, dear?” Mrs. Weasley asked tentatively. “You two haven’t had a row, have you?” She looked so nervous sitting there wringing her hands that Harry had to suppress a laugh.

“No, of course not,” he responded quickly before Mrs. Weasley’s hands become tangled in their continuous twisting. “I just haven’t heard from her in a while.”

It was true. Ginny had been gone for almost a week and he had only written to her once.

Not long after, Hedwig was off towards Hogwarts with a long letter to Ginny. Harry had poured his heart out about Ron and Hermione’s fight, and he asked her to fill him in about all the happenings at Hogwarts.

“DON’T BOTHER, RON!” he heard from outside his bedroom.

“I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHY YOU’RE SO ANGRY!”

There was a frustrated cry and a slamming of a door.

So, Harry admitted, Ron didn’t really know how to talk with girls. Well, who does sometimes?

Ron entered the room furiously and gently closed the door behind him. He seemed to be rethinking this, for, a second later, he opened it again and slammed it as hard as he could. Harry could hear a picture fall off the wall outside.

“Girls,” Ron snarled.
Chapter 11 - The Mistake by snufflesismyidol
Chapter Eleven - The Mistake

Harry had been having so much fun at Grimmauld Place with the Weasley’s that time was passing at double speed. It was already the end of October, and Harry hadn’t been investigating the Horcruxes, although he had been having daily Occlumency and Legilimency lessons. Every once in a while, he found himself thinking, The locket, the cup, Nagini, something of Gryffindor or Ravenclaw’s.

Every day, Harry sent letters to and received letters from Ginny, making sure she didn’t forget him.

He picked up her latest letter and re-read the part that terrified him.

Harry, you should have heard the conversation I had with Lavender Brown. She heard that we had broken up back in June, and she asked who I was going out with now. Can you believe that? I don’t think I could get over you that quick - or at all. I put her in her place; I told her we were still a couple, and we had a big row. I told her what Ron really thought of her - you should have seen her face! It was hilarious. She is such a blabbermouth, though. By the end of the day, it seemed that everyone in the school knew. I just got back from dinner, where a third year Hufflepuff I have never talked to asked me if it was true you were secretly hiding in the Alps.

“What, you’re scared of Lavender?” Ron had said, “Well, I am, but you, too?”

Harry thought back to Ron’s stupidity. Ron hadn’t understood what this letter meant, but he, Harry, understood it perfectly.

He ran his hands tensely through his hair. What was he going to do? Should he write back and tell Ginny her mistake? Should he tell Mrs. Weasley?

He grabbed a blank piece of parchment and a quill and wrote a letter to Ginny.

He was still contemplating his decision as he sent Hedwig out the window.

At that moment, Ron bounded into the room just as he had more than two months ago. He was fuming with rage again.

“Tried to talk to her again, didn’t you?” Harry asked, unsurprised.

While they had managed to be civil living in the house together, Ron and Hermione were still upset with each other. Each time they had tried to talk about it, Ron said something stupid.

“Yeah,” he mumbled.

“What did you say this time?”

“Why do you assume it was my fault?” Ron barked.

“Ron, it’s always your fault.”

Ron looked at him grumpily as he flopped down on the bed and muttered, “Fine.”

“So,” Harry continued, “what did you say?”

“Well, I just asked what the problem was in the first place, and she got angry!”

“Ron,” Harry laughed, “it’s because you don’t listen, remember?”

Ron seemed to be searching his brain for the memory.

~*~

Harry had been back and forth between his two best friends ever since they had starting fighting. Hermione still believed that Ron never listened, and Ron never listened long enough to have an opinion. Harry gave him the “you’ve got to listen” lecture for the third time, but Ron completely tuned out again.

That night at dinner, the majority of the residents were increasingly subdued. Hermione’s eyes were very red, Ron seemed to be thinking about his past conversations, and Harry was preoccupied with his own thoughts of Ginny’s mistake. Fleur was the only one who seemed in the mood to talk. Her stomach had begun to grow in the past two months, but she was still as beautiful as always. Her waist was no longer the waist only a veela could have, but she had the radiant glow only expecting mothers have.

“If we ‘ave a girl, she will be called Marie, and if it is a boy, it will be called Pierre,” she said excitedly.

“Why those names?” Mrs. Weasley asked. “Did you decide together?”

“Well, it is my grandmother’s name and my father’s name.”

“Your grandmother the veela?” Harry asked.

“Yes, she was my favourite grandmother.”

“Bill, why won’t a baby be named after anyone on your side of the family?” Mrs. Weasley asked pointedly.

“Well,” he sighed as if he knew that she would react like this, “if we have two girls, one will be named Molly, and if we have two boys, one will be Arthur.”

Fleur sniffed very quietly. It could not have been more apparent that she hoped for a boy and a girl.

“Why not Fred and George?” Fred asked accusingly.

“No, no, no,” Bill laughed, waving his fork at him, “there are already too many of you.”

Mrs. Weasley glanced around the table apparently looking for something.

“What did I do with the gravy?” she asked herself.

“You left it in zee kitchen because you could not find zee gravy boat, remember?” Fleur pointed out.

“Oh, that’s right,” Mrs. Weasley said, and to everyone’s surprise, she didn’t glare at Fleur. She hustled into the kitchen to try once again to find the gravy boat. She returned a minute later looking annoyed.

“Arthur, I must have forgotten it at the Burrow. Could you go fetch it for me?”

Mr. Weasley sighed. He looked very comfortable and was just about to take a sip of wine.

“I’ll go, Mrs. Weasley,” Harry offered. He was very restless to get out of the house.

“That’s very kind of you, Harry, but you don’t even know where the boat is.”

“I do, Mum,” Ron said, standing up quickly. “I’ll go with Harry.”

Mr. Weasley seemed very relieved.

~*~

Minutes later (Mrs. Weasley had insisted that they wear their coats), Harry and Ron were ready to Apparate.

“Now remember, Ron,” Mrs. Weasley said eagerly, “GRAVY BOAT.”

“I know, Mum, I heard you before,” Ron said, rolling his eyes.

“So now you listen,” Hermione sniffed and left the room before Ron could reply.

“Let’s go,” Harry urged before Ron had time to get angry.

Harry and Ron concentrated on the Burrow and Apparated.

They arrived at the Burrow’s garden slightly ruffled by the journey.

“I hate that,” Ron said, digging his finger in his ear trying to get rid of the compressed feeling.

They turned around to see the house and stumbled back in shock.

“Oh my God,” Ron gaped in horror, “what happened here?”

It was very apparent that this was not the way they had left the house.
Chapter 12 – Homecoming by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 12 “ Homecoming

The Burrow, Harry’s favourite house in the world, was completely destroyed.

“Oh my God,” Ron repeated, horrified. “Oh my God!”

He and Harry ran over to the wreckage. The house no longer resembled any form of a building. It could have passed for a large, smouldering pile of sand. Together they tried to sift around, looking for anything they could salvage. There were a few melted and deformed pots, the remains of an oven, and the old Weasley clock. This was the only treasured item that remained intact. Each of the Weasleys’ hands were still pointed to ‘Mortal Peril,’ except for Ginny’s whose was pointing to ‘At School.’ In the backyard, there were chickens squawking around in terror, trapped in their cages. Harry walked over to the pen and unlocked it. The chickens scrambled over each other in a hurry to leave the scene of destruction.

“They were looking for us!” Harry said shakily. If Death Eaters were after the Weasleys, Harry knew that he’d have to speed up his mission of defeating Voldemort.

“No, mate,” Ron said, shaking his head, “I think they’re looking for you.”

~*~

Harry and Ron (clutching the Weasley clock) Apparated fifteen minutes later, after making sure they had saved all that they could.

“What on EARTH took you so long? Why are you so filthy? What “ What’s wrong?” Mrs. Weasley bustled over to them, wrenching the clock away from Ron.

“Why did you take this?”

“Mum, the house…it’s been destroyed,” Ron said in barely a whisper.

Mrs. Weasley covered her mouth with her hands. Mr. Weasley stood up trembling, and Charlie and Bill nearly tripped over their chairs in their haste to Apparate. Once they left, Ron began to tell the room about what they saw. Harry decided that he had no choice but to tell them about Ginny’s mistake now.

“Mrs. Weasley,” he started, slightly nervous, “I should have told you before. In Ginny’s last letter, she told me that… well, it’s hard to explain “ I’ll go get the letter; you can see for yourself.”

He dashed upstairs before anyone could ask him to explain himself. He hoped they understood what it meant as much as he did, and he was suddenly stricken with worry. Was this why they destroyed the Burrow? Were they in danger?

He stuck his hand inside the pillowcase where he kept all his letters safe. He hastily rummaged through the pile until he found the parchment dated October thirtieth. Ginny’s handwriting glistened up at him in emerald green ink. Without really remembering how, Harry found himself downstairs in a matter of seconds. He handed over the letter to Mrs. Weasley and waited tentatively for her to finish reading. Her eyes grew wide as they scurried down the parchment. Once she finished reading the note, she folded it up neatly and placed it on the table.

“Well, Harry,” she started rather calmly, “you are right to believe that Ginny telling her classmate was a risky decision. If she said the whole school knows about you two, I’m afraid she may be in great danger.”

~*~

By the following day, everyone in the house had read Ginny’s letter and was contemplating its meaning. Nobody doubted that it was the reason the Death Eaters had visited the Burrow. Surely Draco Malfoy must have mentioned something to his new friends about how Harry visited his favourite family as often as he could. Mr. Weasley was in shock. He still couldn’t believe that the home he had worked so hard to build was destroyed and was even more unnerved that his whole family could have just as easily been in it. Mrs. Weasley had pulled them out of there just in time. Bill, Charlie, and Mr. Weasley had visited the Burrow that morning to see if anything else could be saved. They had returned empty handed.

After a very subdued lunch, Harry quietly escaped to his and Ron’s bedroom. Ron had stayed downstairs to talk to Fred and George about new joke shop products.

Harry sat on the very edge of his bed and rubbed his scar. Why was it prickling again?

Suddenly, he felt like knives were penetrating his skull. He was torn between crying and immense anger. He fell right off the bed and was writhing on the floor screaming in rage. Just as quickly as it had come, the feeling was gone. He lay on the floor, inexplicable tears streaming down his face. And somehow he knew. Just like two years ago. Voldemort had let down his guard. Harry had gotten into his mind again. Nagini was dead. Nagini, the Horcrux, was no longer. He did not know how, but he was sure it was true. Voldemort would have to move the Horcrux, or make a new one.

Rubbing his scar, Harry walked over to the empty picture frame.

“Phineas?” he asked quietly. There was a low grumbling sound emitting from the least popular headmaster. Harry took this as a sign that he was listening.

“Could you please get Professor Dumbledore for me?” More grumbles, and then Dumbledore walked into the frame munching on a Cauldron Cake. His cloak showed evidence of a jelly donut.

“Nagini is dead,” Harry said without preamble. Dumbledore dropped his pastry and grinned.

“This is good news, Harry,” he said, and seeing the confused look on Harry’s face, Dumbledore continued.

“Even though Voldemort is obviously quite angry about the death of his pet snake, I very much doubt that he will take all that time to find another trophy for a Horcrux. He still does not believe that anyone knows about the Horcruxes. Pretty foolish, since both you and Regulus have already found them.”

He winked and said cheerfully, “You know what this means, don’t you, Harry?”

“There are only three more Horcruxes,” Harry said, also smiling.

“That’s right,” he said, sounding serious again. “And we should really get moving on this.”

He walked out of the frame for a moment and returned carrying a wooden rocking chair. He sat down and took out some parchment and a quill.

Harry couldn’t resist asking.

“What was death like?”

Dumbledore chuckled.

“I was surprised that no one had asked.” He repositioned himself on the chair. “Death was nothing special. It was like falling asleep. It is quite peaceful. There is no worry, no fear, no hunger, no pain. But back to the subject of Horcruxes, Harry,” he said, dipping his quill into the ink.

“So now there are three. A locket… Hufflepuff’s cup… and one more unknown.”

~*~

Half an hour and three Pensieve trips later, Harry and Dumbledore had gotten nowhere. Dumbledore was looking increasingly anxious.

“I just wish we had destroyed that locket,” he sighed.

And it clicked in Harry’s head; how could he have been so stupid. He had forgotten “ he should have mentioned it right away. He opened his mouth to speak just as Mrs. Weasley hustled into the room.

“Harry, could I use Hedwig? It’s urgent!” she said, tears welling up in her eyes.

“Sorry, Mrs. Weasley,” he responded, losing his train of thought. “I sent her to Ginny yesterday.”

“Oh no,” she cried. Harry felt unnerved to see her like this. “I need to send an owl to Ginny “ I need her to come home straight away!”

Harry got to his feet.

“Why, what happened? Is she alright?”

“Arthur went into work and Mr. Brown apparently mentioned to him about you and Ginny. It’s too dangerous. I want her home now!” Mrs. Weasley gasped for air.

“Lavender Brown’s father?” Harry asked, slightly confused.

“Yes! And if he knows, who knows who else knows… I mean… oh, I don’t know. I don’t want You-Know-Who to get her as a lure for you!” She looked very unsteady. Harry conjured up a chair just as Mrs. Weasley fell backwards into it crying.

“Molly!” Dumbledore said over her tears. Mrs. Weasley jumped. She hadn’t noticed him in the frame.

“I will send someone to get her,” he said quickly and disappeared into the headmaster’s office.

Mrs. Weasley was still sniffling quietly, rocking back and forth. Harry thought he should say something to her, but he couldn’t think what.

Dumbledore reappeared, his brow furrowed.

“Minerva has gone to find her, and the staff is on the lookout. She will come to Minerva’s office, and Ginny will use the Floo Network to get back to Grimmauld Place.”

Mrs. Weasley slumped down in her chair, gazing at the wall. Dumbledore was examining his nails, and Harry was worried about his girlfriend. Dumbledore looked suddenly alert and left his frame again. They could hear him telling Ginny to use Floo Powder to go home. Dumbledore returned to Harry’s room once again with the news that Ginny was coming home.
Chapter 13 – Enough by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 13 “ Enough

Ginny had arrived back at Grimmauld Place over a week ago in a state of shock and panic. Hedwig had not yet arrived to Hogwarts with the news of the Burrow by the time she was leaving. Dinner that night had been very tense. With Ginny’s new knowledge of her home being destroyed and Ron and Hermione still not talking, the table had been very quiet. Now, one week later, Mrs. Weasley was very distressed about four of her children not completing their education.

To be honest, Harry was a little disappointed in having to give up his dream of becoming an Auror. He brought this topic up with Lupin after a particularly difficult Occlumency lesson. Harry had not been allowed to use his Pensieve, and Mr. Mayar had to try to extract a memory as Harry tried to block it from him. Lupin had been very serious on the subject of Harry’s lessons.

“Well, Harry, you know when you leave Hogwarts, you can’t return,” he said cautiously. “What subjects were you taking, anyway?”

Harry told him about his subjects, and Lupin hesitated. After a moment he spoke, rubbing his temple.

“I suppose I could teach you Defence Against the Dark Arts,” he said carefully.

A fire glowed inside Harry’s stomach. He missed Hogwarts more than anything. Having a few lessons back would be like recreating the best times of his life.

“I think that might work,” Lupin continued. He we looking as hopeful as Harry felt. Harry knew that everyone regretted them dropping out of school, even if it was to find and destroy the worst thing to ever happen to the world. “Minerva might be able to help out also.”

A loud crash from the kitchen interrupted their conversation. With a quizzical glance at each other, Harry and Lupin raced down the stairs.

Mr. Weasley was laying spread out on the floor having apparently Apparated hastily. He got up and adjusted his glasses as he spun around looking for his wife.

“Molly!” he exclaimed upon seeing her standing by the door looking bewildered.

“Three more murders!” he gasped. “You-Know-Who is really furious! Must be because of Nagini!”

He slumped into a chair having given his message.

“Who was it, Arthur?” Mrs. Weasley asked urgently.

“Er… Mr. Watvey, I believe was his name,” Mr. Weasley rubbed his forehead aggressively, “and his wife, I think, and their daughter…”

“Gabrielle,” Lupin finished. Everyone in the room turned around to see Lupin in a state on shock.

“Richard and Emily Watvey, and their five-year old daughter, Gabrielle,” he stated more to himself than to anyone else.

“That is who purchased all the former belongings of Number Twelve; the one with… the locket!”

Ginny entered the room looking very aggravated.

“Those two are on the brink of another big row. They are just waiting for an excuse. I don’t think their relationship can withstand much more of this,” she said, mostly to Harry, as though asking him to do something about it.

“I’ll go try to stall the worst,” he sighed, and dashed upstairs. He did not want his friends to be constantly at each other’s necks like this. He had to stop it.

“Ron, you have to pay better attention to me when I talk!” Hermione was saying. Harry waited outside the door, not really wanting to intrude unless he had to. He crouched to the crack beneath the door to hear better.

“I do listen!” Ron snapped back.

Nice comeback, Ron, Harry thought.

“I was listening when you told me about that big fight you had with your parents,” Ron continued, and Hermione fell silent. Harry held his breath expectantly. Neither Ron nor Hermione had told him about this.

“You said that they were upset you weren’t going back to school, and that made you feel guilty. You said you felt guilty for not telling them about us, and then I said not to worry about it.”

“You only remember that because it concerned you, and you didn’t have a plate of food in front of you!” Hermione spat, hoping for a reason to stay angry, and most importantly, right.

“No, Hermione, I remember because I care about you and I love you!” Ron shouted over her, and the room once again fell silent.

Harry risked a peek from behind the door and saw his two best friends, one on either side of the room, thinking about what to say next. Harry hadn’t heard Ron say that to Hermione before.

“You do?” Hermione said, taking a step forward.

“Yes,” Ron answered, a lot more confidently than he looked, also taking a step forward.

“Well, I love you too,” Hermione said, almost defiantly.

Harry wanted to scream with exasperation. The baby steps they were taking toward each other were too slow.

“I… I’m gonna kiss you now,” Ron said, a little louder and more aggressively than before.

And like that, the baby steps toward each other grew into long fast strides. After so much pointless arguing, they finally kissed and made up.
Chapter 14 – Transfiguration by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 14 “ Transfiguration

Lupin had been in a terrible state ever since the murder of Mr. Watvey and his family. Not only had he not been able to pay his respects, but he felt guilty. He was convinced that if he had hurried up and gotten the locket back, this would have never happened.

“He refused to give it back, Remus, don’t beat yourself up!” Tonks said to him one evening.

The entire household was sitting in the kitchen after dinner along with Moody, who had dropped by to check on Lupin.

“I would have forced him, if it were me,” Moody growled, “but you’re not a violent man, Remus. I respect that.”

“Now we don’t know where the locket is,” said Lupin, burying his face in his hands.

“Probably still at his house,” Tonks pondered out loud. Lupin stood up abruptly.

“I’m going to go look for it,” he said, and he Apparated before anyone could argue.

“The fool, like he’ll find it!” Moody barked.

Harry privately agreed with Moody, but he wasn’t going to voice that thought.

“What I still don’t understand is this whole ‘R.A.B.’ thing,” Hermione said thoughtfully. “What is his importance? Does Voldemort know that we know about the locket? Is that why he killed the Watvey’s?”

“No, he doesn’t know,” Harry said confidently. “Someone saw the locket, and Voldemort knows that it is his. I don’t know what he thinks happened to it to get it out of that cave, but he doesn’t think anyone knows his secret. But Regulus knew about it, and that’s a big deal. He was also a good actor, for Voldemort still doesn’t know about that.”

“How does that help us?” Ron asked fiercely, obviously still confused.

“Because,” Harry responded, “it means that I can do the same.”

~*~

Lupin did not return until late that evening. He looked extremely exhausted and discouraged, having found nothing.

“I saw some of the things I sold him from here, but not the locket,” he sighed as he collapsed into a chair. “I’m going back tomorrow.

~*~

The next morning, the inhabitants of the house were thrilled to throw open a window and find a thin layer of snow covering the ground. The whole lot of them had been cooped up inside for so long that Harry was beginning to understand what Sirius had felt. He would do anything to be back at Hogwarts right now, maybe going to visit Hagrid or having a snowball fight outside with Ron. He was regretting ever leaving school.

Lupin had left bright and early to search for the locket, and he had not yet returned. Harry was anxiously awaiting his return, wishing he had gone, too.

“Harry, come down here and help us with this tree!” he heard Mr. Weasley say.

He entered the living room and was thrilled to see a large Christmas tree surrounded by members of the household. The twins were haphazardly hanging garlands, Ron and Hermione were preparing the ornaments, and Mr. Weasley was trying to trim oversized branches.

“Could you pass me that string over there, Harry?” Fred asked eagerly.

As Harry lifted the garland up to Fred, he thought he saw something glimmer in the deep branches of the tree.

“Hermione bewitched some fairies to hover inside the branches,” Mr. Weasley explained, after seeing the startled look on Harry’s face. “They certainly add some festivity, don’t you think?”

Christmas was mere days away, and Grimmauld Place was in the spirit. Mrs. Weasley was in the kitchen baking cookies, and Tonks was whistling a cheerful tune. Even Harry, who had so much to worry about, had to laugh as Ginny and George danced to Tonks’ music.

Harry knew that it was now Christmas break at Hogwarts, and McGonagall had promised she would stop by to help Harry, Ron, Hermione, and Ginny with their Transfiguration lessons. She arrived shortly after a fantastic winter meal, and they knew right away that she would be taking the lesson seriously. She led them into the sitting room and gave them each a box of tissues.

“You four have not been in school for over two months, and you are very behind, except for Ms. Granger. You have all successfully completed…er…well, completed animal to object transformations, and now we must practise the reverse, which some say is more useful. Sometimes it is useful just when you could use a companion.” She took Ginny’s tissue box and turned it into a parrot, which flew onto her shoulder.

“So concentrate on what animal you would like “ keep it small, Mr. Weasley “ and there is no need for incantations. Just give it a tap.” She tapped the bird, and it turned back into a violet tissue box, which she handed back to Ginny.

Ten minutes later, Harry had a box with whiskers, Ginny’s had ears, fur, and a tail, Ron’s had a dent from where he kept tapping it, and Hermione had a rabbit.

“You’ve got to concentrate as hard as when you are Apparating!” McGonagall sighed for the third time.

When she left after dinner that night, McGonagall seemed pleased with their accomplishments. Harry had managed to decrease the box to the size of a mouse and give it ears and a tail, but it was still made of cardboard. Ginny had accomplished the transformation and was stroking her purple cat, and Ron’s box nearly had the form of an iguana. Hermione had moved on to human transformation. She had changed her legs into those of a horse, but she needed McGonagall’s help to get back to normal. All in all, they were better off than they were when they had started.

“Day after next is Potions,” Tonks said brightly. “I’ll be teaching you. I was quite the Potions Master during my Auror training!”

“Yeah,” Kingsley grumbled reminiscently, “as long as you didn’t knock over the cauldron full of Boil Burst onto my feet. I couldn’t put my socks on for weeks.”
Chapter 15 - Christmas by snufflesismyidol
Author's Notes:
I wanted to dedicate this chapter to my grandfather because February 15 was his birthday, and the whole chapter just reminded me of him.
Chapter 15 - Christmas

Grimmauld Place was woken prematurely on Christmas morning by the sound of Ginny’s owl, Hunter, hooting madly as Crookshanks tried to take breakfast into his own paws. Once Ginny settled Hunter down and Hermione fed Crookshanks, Mrs. Weasley started to make breakfast.

“What about presents?” Ron complained groggily, “won’t we open those first?”

The Weasleys, Lupin, Tonks, Harry and Hermione seated themselves sleepily around the wooden kitchen table. Lupin was looking nervous; he was wringing his hands, looking over his shoulder, checking his watch, and glancing eagerly at Harry. Harry had the impression Lupin was waiting to tell him something. Harry shook the suspicion as Mrs. Weasley answered Ron’s question.

“Since you are all home for the holidays this year, we will all open the presents together!” she chirped happily. She was thrilled to have all her children in one place this Christmas “ with the exception of Percy. No one had mentioned Percy since Bill’s wedding, but Harry knew that it was tearing Mrs. Weasley up inside. Percy had made his peace, but they had not really reconciled. Mr. Weasley had come home from work one day with the news of Percy’s engagement to his long-time girlfriend, but Mrs. Weasley had not yet found out. Everyone was afraid to inform her because they weren’t sure of her reaction. The family had not received invitations to the wedding.

“Would you help me set the table, Hermione and Ginny?” she asked, handing them the plates. The Christmas tree sparkled as everyone helped with the meal; dozens of presents lay beneath it, brought down from the foot of everyone’s bed in anticipation of being opened together. Harry was hoping that the package that seemed to contain Hagrid’s homemade fudge was not for him.

They finally sat down to a wonderful morning meal with their favourite Christmas tunes playing softly in the background. There was merry conversation, and all fears were briefly forgotten as the world seemed trouble-free once more.

By the time every plate was cleared after the meal of eggs, sausages, toast, porridge, penatone, and eggnog, many waistbands had been loosened. Ron was eagerly awaiting a dismissal to go open presents. Mrs. Weasley finally gave the nod of approval, and Ron was halfway into the next room before anyone else was out of their seats.

“Wow, Harry, thanks for the practise Quaffle!” he exclaimed as he tore open the first package he could get his hands on.

Harry shyly knelt beside Ginny as he handed her his present. He was hoping she would love it as much as he pictured her doing.

“Oh, you really didn’t have to go to the trouble “ oh my!” She fell silent as she pulled the necklace out of the box. It was a delicate silver chain with a rose shaped pendant. In the middle was a tiny golden Snitch. It barely made a sound as she lifted it up to her eye level. “What…how…” she stuttered, not removing her stare from the necklace for a second. This was the exact reaction Harry had hoped for.

“I saw it, and I knew I had to get it for you,” Harry explained as he lifted Ginny’s hair to help her fasten it.

“This must have cost you a fortune!” she whispered. “This makes the present I gave you look so insignificant.” She blushed, pushing what looked like a shoebox toward him.

Harry untied the carefully wrapped ribbon, half listening to Hermione thanking Ron for a book on Ancient Runes.

It was a cardboard box. He opened it and found a stack of letters, some of which seemed to date back nearly five years.

“I know it’s stupid, but they are just a bunch of letters that I wrote for or about you, but never sent, over the years.” Ginny blushed as red as the Christmas ornaments. “I just thought you would find them…interesting.”

“Thanks,” he whispered, truly touched by her love for him, and he leaned over and kissed her on the cheek. “I can pull them out whenever I’m missing you.”

Ginny sat in bliss, fingering her pendant as everyone opened their gifts. She seemed perfectly content just sitting and watching.

Once the wrapping paper was cleaned up, the presents put away, the cookies handed out, and Crookshanks removed from the tree, Harry was tired enough to go to bed “ at 12:15 in the afternoon. Harry was peacefully reading one of Ginny’s letters (dated February 15, 1992). He was trying to recall what had happened earlier during that time that would make her sound so distressed while writing this letter.

“Harry…”

Harry’s thoughts were interrupted as Lupin clapped him on the shoulder. He bent down closer to Harry’s ear, anticipation etched on every line of his face.

“I need your help. I think I may know where the locket is.”

Lupin led him to the entrance hall and handed him his coat.

“What do you mean?” Harry questioned as they left the house and prepared to Apparate.

“Mr. Watvey suspected that the locket had value,” Lupin stated as he pulled out his wand and looked over his shoulder. He gripped Harry’s upper arm and they turned on the spot.
Chapter 16 - The Locket by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 16 “ The Locket

They arrived soundlessly in a cluttered, dark room. It seemed that everything was upturned: chairs on their sides, photos scattering the floor, and paintings ripped from the walls. Lupin lit his wand, and Harry followed suit. Lupin didn’t explain as he searched through stacks of parchment, apparently determined to find a certain document.

Harry saw a photo on the floor that caught his eye and bent down to see it. A young, handsome man was smiling jovially, kissing what appeared to be his wife. She was also young, not much older than twenty-five, Harry thought. She had dark brown hair and brilliant blue eyes. As Harry continued to watch, a little girl wearing a pink dress and pigtails in her wavy light brown hair ran into the frame and jumped into the man’s arms. The family laughed and smiled together. Harry was oddly saddened by the picture.

“Ah!”

Harry whipped around and found Lupin smiling triumphantly, holding a single sheet of parchment.

“This is just what we need!”

Harry was becoming aggravated. Why wasn’t Lupin giving him any information?

“What is it? What do we do?” he asked. “Do we have to go find the locket in another cave?”

Harry was eager for adventure. After being trapped in Grimmauld Place with only his lessons to occupy him, Harry craved excitement.

“I’m afraid the adventure won’t be as glorious as you would want,” Lupin said knowingly. “This is not Voldemort we are talking about, it is Scott Watvey, the worker in the Department of Magical Games and Sports Department!”

He motioned for Harry’s arm and gripped it firmly, with the document in the other hand.

“No,” he continued slyly “ almost proudly, “we’re just going to -”

They Apparated, and once the swirling stopped, Harry was shocked to see the familiar building in front of him.

“-Gringotts.”

The tall white pillars seemed illuminated in the gloomy afternoon. Clouds were billowing overhead, threatening a snowstorm. A cool breeze made the hairs on the back of Harry’s neck stand on end. The whole street seemed abandoned. Harry reckoned that it was because of the recent terror brought on by the Death Eaters. Lupin and Harry started walking slowly towards the large doors. Once the doors had been flung open, the interior was revealed. The delicate architecture of the building was dwarfed by the darkness of the hall. Goblins were busy at work: measuring jewels, dealing with documents, and cutting keys.

“Do we have a key?” Harry asked nervously.

“No, I wasn’t able to find it in the house. I thought I had a lead with a safe behind a family portrait, but there was no key. I found this document in the safe, and I didn’t know what it was until I spoke with Arthur. You don’t need the key if you have this piece of parchment.”

They were walking up to a goblin with a smushed-in nose and large, hairy ears. He glanced up as they approached but continued counting the dark purple circle things on his table.

“Excuse me,” Lupin said politely. The goblin looked up again, seeming irritated. “I need to go into a vault. I have this document-” he showed the goblin the piece of parchment, “-but I’ve lost the key.”

The goblin grabbed the parchment, nearly giving Lupin a cut on his index finger, and scanned the information.

“Alright, Mr. Watvey,” the goblin assumed. His voice was low and trembling. It reminded Harry of Aunt Petunia’s dishwasher. “We have a copy of your key here.” He hopped off his stool so that he was no longer visible to Harry or Lupin, and they heard him rummaging around in what seemed to be thousands of keys. He emerged from behind his counter with a tiny, rusty key.

“My name is Laundrall, and I will be your goblin this afternoon. Follow me, please.”

The three walked through the echoing hall until they reached the door on the farthest left. Laundrall pushed it open determinately and whistled for a cart. It came whizzing around the corner and halted directly in front of them.

“Hop in,” Laundrall said lazily.

Once everyone had settled into the cart, it immediately started on its track. Harry did not know which vault they needed to go to this time. Rows and rows of vaults passed before his eyes, but the cart didn’t stop. Harry was beginning to wonder if it was still in the goblin’s control.

They suddenly plummeted into darkness, twisting and turning in the tiny cart. Just as Harry opened his mouth to ask where they were going, they came to a quick halt.

Torches erupted on every surrounding wall, illuminating the underground lake. Laundrall was walking towards a staircase that seemed to lead into the lake. Harry glanced at Lupin, who was looking sceptical.

“This really doesn’t seem like something Scott would do,” he muttered as he followed the goblin. Harry was remembering the last time he had toured a lake, and was very hesitant to go for another trip. As he approached the spiralling staircase, he saw that as soon as it hit the water, the stairs were encircled with a glass tube. Feeling much better about the journey, Harry descended. From inside the tube, Harry was able to see the lake all around him. There was no visible animal life form. Harry found it odd that thick plants were growing deep underground, away from light.

Suddenly, a barracuda swam vigorously by. Harry jumped back in fear, both having not expected it, and forgetting that he was enclosed, and safe.

“Just a bit farther.” Laundrall’s distant voice floated up toward Harry. Harry presumed that they already had to be nearly fifty meters from the top of the lake. He knew this wouldn’t be fun going back up.

Once Harry reached the bottom of the staircase, he saw Lupin and the goblin waiting for him in a large circular room. There were five doors.

Lupin was still looking surprised and confused that his low-key friend would go to such measures to protect what he thought was a piece of jewellery. Harry thought that maybe Mr. Watvey knew more than he wanted anyone to believe.

Laundrall took the key from his pocket and approached the door directly in front of him. He put the key in the lock and turned.
Chapter 17 - The Vault by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 17 “ The Vault

Harry gazed in wonder at the large room, almost the size of an apartment. He wondered if this would be a place to stay on the run from the law.

“Start looking, Harry,” Lupin said eagerly. Laundrall waited impatiently by the door. He looked like he would very much enjoy locking the door right now. “It has to be here somewhere.”

Harry began looking in cupboards hanging on the wall, drawers near the back, and under the large area rug.

“You might want to know there is a door concealed behind this wall,” Laundrall said, eager to get on with his day. He caressed the wall, and it melted away. Behind it was a smaller room, which looked as though it had been brought from the Watvey house itself. There was furniture, a cabinet, and even portraits on the walls. Lupin immediately headed toward the family portrait.

“Last family portrait I looked behind, I found the document…” he said, taking down the portrait from the wall revealing a safe door. “It seems to be his style.”

Lupin fiddled around with the lock. His face lit up as though he suddenly knew the code.

“Scott’s family was everything to him. They must be part of the combination…twenty-nine…twenty-five…five…”

He pulled “ nothing.

“Five…twenty-nine…twenty-five…”

He pulled again. It remained sealed shut.

“Five…twenty-five…twenty-nine…”

This time it worked. The door swung open, and inside was a glittering gold locket.

“How did you know those numbers?” Harry asked in awe.

“The ages of his family. It is so typical of him to put others before himself. Five is Gabrielle, twenty-five is Emily, and twenty-nine is Scott. Would you like to do the honour, Harry? This is your battle.”

Harry eagerly reached into the safe and withdrew the heavy Horcrux. This was the one, Harry knew. It was exactly like the one he had held mere years ago in Grimmauld Place

“What do we do now?” Harry said, a bit taken aback by their quick success.

“Destroy it immediately before it has a chance to get lost,” Lupin said anxiously. This was the revenge Lupin wanted for a rare friend.

“How?” Harry asked nervously. He had been waiting ever since Dumbledore’s death for this moment, but he had not prepared for what to do when he found the locket.

“Try Detruirelends,” Lupin suggested.

Detruirelends?” Harry had never heard of this spell, but he gave it a shot. A bright light flashed as he spoke the incantation, but the locket remained. Harry didn’t exactly know what they were expecting.

Harry had a sudden idea. He placed the locket on the floor and braced himself. It seemed like something Voldemort would force someone to do.

Avada Kedavra!” Harry spat, disgust with Voldemort evident in every syllable. This time, the green light was blinding. Lupin grabbed Harry by the shoulders and dove to the ground. The whole earth shook as gold pieces flew all over the small room, bouncing off the walls and returning to the middle. A shrill scream came from deep within the Horcrux, and the pitch increased with every second. The light disappeared and was replaced by an enormous darkness that seemed to swallow them up. The scream abruptly stopped and the room returned to its normal state. Harry had a ringing in his ears.

They stood up and walked to where they had left the Horcrux. There was absolutely no evidence that anything so evil had ever been there. Harry felt the stone floor where the locket had exploded. It was cold.

“I think that’s it,” Harry said shakily. He turned to Lupin, who was looking astonished with what Harry had just done.

“How did you…know?” he whispered. “How did you know to do that? How did you have the power to do that?”

Harry shrugged. He hadn’t really known; it had just come to him. He was also surprised that he had just used the Avada Kedavra, even if it wasn’t on a person. It was a spell that required a lot of power, determination and hate.

“You’re starting to seem like Dumbledore with this knowledge that no one else has,” Lupin said, smiling weakly.

Harry wasn’t sure if he should laugh or not. Dumbledore had had great power and knowledge, and Harry would love to be just like him.

“Let’s get out of here.” Lupin motioned for Harry to follow him out of the room. As he was about to leave, Harry saw the same photo he had seen at the Watvey’s house. The smiled on the faces seemed even brighter now. Harry’s thirst for Voldemort’s death grew stronger. He pocketed the picture.

Laundrall was still standing by the main door.

“Did you find what you needed?” he asked uninterestedly.

“Yes, thank you,” Harry said politely.

The three “ a goblin, a werewolf, and an accomplished boy of seventeen “ began to ascend the staircase to find the cart again. They would then take the roller coaster ride back to the surface of the earth and off to the next adventure.
Chapter 18 - Potions by snufflesismyidol
Author's Notes:
A little relief...
Chapter 18 “ Potions

Harry and Lupin arrived back at Grimmauld Place late at night. Harry had not realized how long they had been at the vault. He was incredibly relieved when he stepped into the house, although, he was very hungry.

Mrs. Weasley scurried in and threw her arms around both Harry and Lupin.

“I was so worried!” she shrieked. “Where were you! Ron only said that Remus came to collect you and you left!”

Lupin took her by the shoulders and led her to the kitchen where he explained everything over a cup of tea and some dinner.

Mrs. Weasley was very pleased with the news and continued to embrace Harry as he choked on his soup. Harry was finally dismissed to go to bed when he fell asleep on his toast.

He headed upstairs, jam on the side of his face, and immediately went to sleep.

~*~

Harry awoke the next day with determination. He wanted to finish the business of the Horcruxes quickly to save as many lives as he could. The photo of the Watvey family was on his bedside table, as a constant reminder.

The first thing Harry did was explain the happenings of the previous night to Dumbledore as Lupin retold the event to the Weasleys, Hermione, and Tonks.

Dumbledore was incredibly pleased with the news.

“You did it, Harry. You found out how to destroy it!” he sighed happily. The portrait had shown signs of worry lately with the prospect of Harry continuing on his own.

Dumbledore asked Harry how the search for the cup was going.

“I haven’t really looked into it, Professor,” Harry admitted, ashamed of his lack of effort. He silently resolved to work every waking moment to find it, until he heard Tonks calling him for his, Ron’s, Hermione’s, and Ginny’s first Potions lesson. Harry knew his lessons were important for his success.

He joined his fellow students in the kitchen, where he found Tonks apologizing to Mrs. Weasley as she gestured towards a putrid smelling beige substance covering the floor. With a wave of her wand, Mrs. Weasley cleaned up the mess.

“Morning, Harry,” Tonks greeted cheerfully.

Ron immediately brought up the events of the night before.

“How did you know?” he asked breathlessly.

“Lupin did most of the work,” Harry said. He didn’t feel like talking about it, and Hermione seemed to understand.

“Shh, Ron,” she grinned. Ginny ran to give Harry a hug.

“You could have died, I hope you know,” she said angrily as she pulled away from him and hit him in the chest. Harry smiled in spite of himself and pulled her in again.

“I was safe; we just went to Gringotts!”

“Enough chat,” Tonks said in a business-like voice.

Each of them had a cauldron, but only Tonks’ was full with the liquid she had removed from the floor.

“I’m going to teach you a great potion that most Aurors have had to use in their careers, except for me,” she started eagerly. She handed them each a piece of parchment with the instructions on it.

“It is complicated to make, but very quick if done right. It is called the Mutamento - the potion of change.” She pulled out sacks of ingredients, and she had her students take what they needed for the first ingredients on their list. Harry rummaged around for dried beetles.

“What do you mean by change?” Ginny asked curiously.

“Well, put it this way “ as a Metamorphmagus, I have never needed to use it,” Tonks said brightly.

Harry loved this idea. He thought that it could really help him against Voldemort. He had a sudden mental image of changing noses as Voldemort applauded.

“Cut the beetles very finely. You should barely be able to see an individual piece.”

After about a quarter of an hour, Harry was satisfied with the size of his beetle slivers.

The next step was to peel off the skin of a water-gnat and boil it in the saliva of a healthy bullfrog. It took a while to locate these ingredients, and even longer to peel the water-gnat.

By the fifth ingredient, Harry’s potion was a murky orange. Ron’s was scarlet, Ginny’s was a milky light blue, and Hermione’s was clear, dark blue.

“Harry,” Tonks said urgently, “go easy on the Solentos! Ron, the Scomparti goes in AFTER the Facenda!”

Hermione was now flipping through ‘Witch Weekly’ with her simmering potion beside her as the other three struggled.

Harry, Ron, and Ginny left the ‘class’ with potions in different shades of blue. Tonks was a way better teacher than Snape had ever been. She had given them advice rather than yelling and sneering. While Hermione’s was without a doubt the best, Harry felt proud about his potion. Tonks told them that it only took two days before the potion would be ready, and that Mutamento can be stored for later use.

By this time, it was already late afternoon. Mrs. Weasley had shooed them from her kitchen so that she could get started on dinner. Harry decided to spend this rare moment of silence with Ginny. Ron hauled out his Wizard’s Chess set and guilted Hermione into playing with him. Harry and Ginny watched and talked together.

“Hey, Harry,” she said, putting her head on his shoulder. “Next time you go on some great adventure, bring me with you.”

Harry was very hesitant about this. He had feared for her life so many times that dragging her to where the dagger lies did not seem like a good idea.

She raised her head and looked at him.

“Is that a ‘yes’?” she demanded. When Harry didn’t answer, she continued. “Harry, I know you have this heroic thing about you, but you know I can handle myself!”

Harry hated when people talked about his ‘saving-people’ thing.

“I know you can,” he said weakly, “but I couldn’t handle you getting hurt.”

Ginny laughed softly and ruffled Harry’s hair.

“You’re bringing me along, don’t forget.”

Harry smiled too, and gazed into the eyes of the love of his life, the person whose fate meant more to him than anything in this world.
Chapter 19 - Motivation by snufflesismyidol
Author's Notes:
Chapter 19 will be a bit confusing until the end, but I hope you all like it. Chapter 20 is still in the writing process, so bear with me, because it won't be posted for a while.
Chapter 19 “ Motivation

It was just past midnight. He wasn’t sure of the exact time, but he knew it didn’t matter. The house was dead silent. Not even the sound of breathing penetrated his ears. He kicked his feet out of bed and put on a robe. It was a crisp, cool night, with not a single star in the sky, and no moon. He found his socks, which he slipped on his ice cold feet, and put on his glasses. The freezing metal frame sent a shiver down his spine as he placed it against the side of his head. Without making a sound, he opened the door and left the room.

Harry slowly descended the creaky wooden stairs of Number Twelve, Grimmauld Place. The maroon carpet running down the stairs with him prevented most of the noise that would have him caught. He slid his hand along the dusty banister and removed it with disgust. He arrived at the main floor landing and automatically turned to his left. He was walking steadily down the pitch-black hall. Behind a blood-red velvet curtain was a heavy stone door, which he pushed determinedly open.

He found himself in a room darker than the hall he had just left. He shut the door and illuminated his wand tip. When he did, he was startled to find bodies covering the floor. He knew that none of them had a pulse. They were everywhere. He tried to maneuver through the rows of corpses to an unknown destination, but he found that there was no way out. Arms obscured his path, and he was having trouble not looking into their cold, lifeless eyes. His heart rate quickened.

A golden light erupted suddenly “ blindingly “ from a spot way in the distance, and the scene’s horror was revealed. The room was massive, spreading for miles and miles, a sea of dead bodies, never-ending, unmerciful. He tried to move towards the light’s source but was drowning. He used the corpses as a ladder and started to climb to the top. He gave them unreturned pleading looks as if to say, “I’m sorry.”

Tears were streaming down his pale face now. His heavy robe was dripping with exasperated sweat and the blood of others.

“It’s not mine!” he cried, wiping the tears viciously from his lonely eyes. “It’s not my fault!”

The light was dimming with every slip of his foot. He was becoming increasingly anxious, and he wanted more than anything to get out “ alive. He wished it were over; he wished he had never left his room. His breathing became shallow and rapid, and the impure air was gradually filling his screaming lungs, which outwardly protested the deed. He gripped, grabbed, scratched and pulled his way towards the surface, from where he would find the light, but the darkness was swallowing him up. He was so close, he knew, but why wasn’t the mysterious light any nearer? Was this some horrid mind game he had to face to reach a glorious goal?

His foot slipped, and he tumbled into the mass of human flesh and bones. His chest tightened, and the tears choked his shallow breath.

“Leave me alone!” he whispered desperately as the bodies jostled him on his way down to an unknown abyss.

He gave up all hope. It was too hard, and it wasn’t his battle. His own tired body slipped unceremoniously through the others. It was exhausted. The struggle had drained him of all energy. What was the point of this death trap? The bodies continued to pour and tumble on top of him. There was no escape. The light in the distance was extinguished.

Harry lay there, propped up by the bloody and disfigured limbs of the innocent victims. He had no idea why he knew they were innocent, but he knew it was true.

He sighed. The silence was deafening.

He thought that he should just return home and let this continue. It wasn’t his problem. Who made him a part of it?

Just as he thought this, Harry thought he saw a familiar face. It was a few corpses up, and he tried to find his way up to it. His heart stopped and his body froze in unpleasant recognition. He looked around pointedly, and there… there was the other. Without much searching, he found the third and final corpse of the Watvey family. No tears came. Blood matted the little girl’s pigtails, and it was smeared all over her pale and dreary pink dress, but no tears came, only a burning desire to do something.

The golden light burst through the cracks in the dense sea, and the pile no longer seemed insurmountable. His path began to clear, and the source of the light “ the hope “ seemed so much closer.

His path was clear. He ran. Miles and miles continued, but he ran. He stumbled and fell to the ground several times but jumped back to his feet and continued on his way. No one ever said it would be easy. He knew it had to be done, and if it were not, the sea of bodies would swallow him up again. The image of the Watvey family shone in his mind. He hadn’t known them, but they were the push off the cliff that he needed to fly.

There it was! It wasn’t too far! He pushed his wailing legs towards sweet victory, sweet peace. The end was near. What it would bring, he didn’t know. The light was coming from a covered object sitting on a carved wood table. He couldn’t tell what it was under the delicate glass. He had to shield his eyes from the glorious warmth and brightness. One hundred meters away… Seventy… Fifty…Twenty… It was a cup. Helga Hufflepuff’s fine china, hand-painted cup. He didn’t stop running. He couldn’t.

Then he awoke. Dripping in sweat and grinning, Harry awoke - wrapped tightly in the sheets of his Grimmauld Place bed - filled with determination and motivation.
Chapter 20 - With a little help from Dobby by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 20 “ With a little help from Dobby

Harry woke up early the next morning and headed straight to his Pensieve. He took out some of the carefully marked wails and poured their contents into the basin. One was marked “Hokey” and another “Dobby”. A third read “Dobby II”.

Harry plunged himself into the substance and was immediately hurled into the now very familiar living room of Hepzibah Smith. After scrutinizing the entire memory, it faded into “Dobby”.

Dobby was sitting in a cramped and filthy room. There was no evidence of effort in keeping the space clean. Dobby kicked his feet distractedly, staring at the door.

Suddenly, an older - evidently female - house-elf entered in tears. It was Hokey. She threw the tidy tea cosy from her head to the ground and stomped on it. She launched herself into a pile of rags beside her son.

“I wish I could quit!” she squeaked to the young Dobby. Judging by his size and the smoothness of his face, Harry might have guessed he was no older than six years old, even though it is always difficult to tell those kinds of things with house-elves.

“They are horrible people!” she continued, sobbing into her miniscule hands. “That young brat is the worst!”

Dobby shuffled towards his mother and draped his arm comfortingly across her shoulder.

“Can we go home now?” Dobby asked in a high-pitched whisper. Hokey turned her head slowly to face him and more tears ran down her cheeks.

“This is our home, Dobby!” she croaked miserably. “Ever since Miss Smith’s death “ and from now on, we must serve the Malfoys-“ she spat this word, each syllable dripping with contempt “ “and all of their descendants!”

“Why did she die?” Dobby repositioned himself and looked as if his full attention was on the words Hokey next spoke.

“No one knows for sure.” She rubbed her eyes so hard that she blinked several times when she emerged. “But I think that it was that Riddle boy! He was the last person to see her before it happened, and he seemed so fascinated by that cup of hers. I’ll tell you a secret, Dobby…” She pulled him closer towards her and whispered, “The cup is gone, Dobby.”

She leaned back and her eyes widened impressively.

“I don’t know why, and I don’t know how, but Riddle has it.” She stood up and began to tidy out of nervous habit.
Harry was examining the look on Dobby’s face. It was unsurprised and understanding. Harry could tell that there was something he wasn’t telling his mother. He was rocking back and forth slightly, his lips sealed shut.

Hokey turned around suddenly and noticed Dobby’s expression. Her brow furrowed and she hurried over to her son.

“What is wrong, my dear?” She placed her palm to his forehead, checking his temperature. “Are you ill?”

“No, Mother,” he whispered, and he turned to exit the room, with a rag in one hand and a pail in the other.

The memory began to fade, and the colour became less clear. Harry knew that the memory “Dobby II” was coming up next. As the colours returned, Harry found that he was in a different room. This had to be the most expensive room he had ever visited. Portraits of magnificently dressed witches and wizards covered room. Gold glistened from every corner. Treasured trinkets cluttered glass shelves. Harry had never seen anything cluttered so neatly.

Although he was mystified by the wondrous den, he felt a strange feeling deep inside him. He stared into the grate of a gold tiled fireplace where the lonely remains of a once cheerful and lively fire now glistened. Harry had a feeling that, although the room was filled with magnified riches and prizes, this was the loneliest room in the world.

Every item filling his surroundings looked like it must have cost more gGalleons that Harry had ever held, right down to the doorknob. As he studied the unusual engraving and material of the doorknob, it began to turn. Dobby the house-elf bustled in with a tiny water pail. Harry felt that rather than advancing in time, they had gone in reverse. Dobby looked a mere few months younger but was one hundred times happier than he had been at his new master’s house.

Dobby used all his strength to lift the pail high enough to pour over the pathetic fire, and it vanished. Harry stared at the ashes sadly before he heard a scream shatter the silence from the opposite side of the door. Dobby disappeared behind an extravagant armchair before Harry had registered what happened. He looked for a place to hide, but then remembered that he could not be seen. He wasted only seconds before the door was thrown open, dangling by one hinge. A familiar figure of a ghostly dark haired boy appeared menacingly by the frame.

He illuminated his wand tip, but to Harry, it gave no light. This boy was so dead inside that light fled from his control. Apparently, what he saw sufficed, for he began to destroy the room. Harry felt the walls shriek in protest, saw the shelves cry with indignation, and knew the fireplace was shuddering in fear. Fear. This boy provoked it. This young boy, barely out of school, had the power to induce mankind’s greatest weakness. His eyes clicked suddenly on a spot just about Harry’s head. He walked right through Harry and summoned a box from one of the top shelves of a glass cabinet. He peeked inside, and once the lid was tightly secured, he beamed in self-congratulations. He turned to leave, and with one foot already out the door, he flicked his wand and the room returned to its normal state. The walls no longer wailed, the shelves were silent, and the fireplace held only the secrets of past ashes.

Dobby emerged, terrified, from beyond the armchair and raced out of the room. Harry wanted to stop him from sure death, but then realized that in order to be viewing this memory, everything must have turned out fine. He ran to catch up with the young elf and found him pulling on a tiny coat and heading out the door. The elf suddenly disappeared, but Harry felt himself being pulled on by a strange force. He knew the elf must have used his own strong magic to camouflage, but Harry still needed to follow in Dobby’s memory. In the far distance, Harry saw a speck of a man disappear with a subtle popping sound. Harry thought for sure the chase had to be over now, but the elf contained magic far beyond that which Harry had ever imagined. With another crack, both boy and elf were gone.
Chapter 21 – Stonehenge by snufflesismyidol
Author's Notes:
I've been having some computer troubles with the next few chapters, but summer is now here, and I will deal with it soon...
Chapter 21 “ Stonehenge

The wind blew bitterly cold as it slapped the side of Riddle’s face and passed right through Harry’s nonexistent figure. The stars twinkled menacingly overhead as they approached what was surely their destination. The large green field formed a circular setting and stones were standing tall. It was mystifying, confusing, and yet, as Harry drew nearer, he remembered the sight. His years of Muggle schooling felt like centuries ago, but he remembered this historical sight.

It had been fourth grade when he had first seen a picture of this place. He was always curious about the mystery of its origin. What would have brought Riddle to Stonehenge?

Just as Harry thought this, Riddle glanced over his shoulder and shot a powerful spell behind him. The light whipped through Harry and continued undisturbed. Apparently Riddle had been checking for followers. This made Harry wonder where Dobby was, or what kind of strong magic he was using.

Riddle approached the very center of the mystery. Harry saw the inside of a door, and Riddle vanished. Harry was utterly bewildered. It was as though there was a strange building and only the interior could be seen. The odd force that was Dobby propelled him onward, and soon they were at the spot where Riddle had just disappeared.

Although Harry couldn’t see his companion, the next thing he knew, the door was open and he was being drawn inside.

Harry found himself in a dimly lit hallway made completely of stone. The ceiling was rather low and unimpressive, but he could see a grand hallway up ahead. Nothing decorated the walls but basic torches, and the prospect that Voldemort would have hid one of his Horcruxes here was seemingly laughable.

The small corridor opened up to a much more glorious room than what he had seen before. From what he could see, he appeared to be standing at the top of a long and magnificent staircase. He leaned over the railing and was unable to see the bottom. It was solid stone with chiselled statues at each landing. Up above, there was nothing but the ceiling. Dobby was descending the stairs and bringing Harry with him. This time the walls were lined with plaques. Names were engraved into the silver plates and they covered every inch of the walls. Harry was trying to read each one as he passed, but only got glances. Chiwasmi….Kettbask…Malfoy… Harry froze and stared at the ancient plaque that read “Nowell Malfoy ~ 73-126”. As he looked at the other plaques on the wall he saw that most of them did not have years on them. The most recent name was “Cecille Hadfeld ~ 1217-1292”. More than half must have been Before Common Era. Harry was beginning to understand the building. He realized that it must have been thousands of years old. He gazed with wonder over the staircase railing and saw the top of Tom Riddle’s head vanish through a heavy oak door two landings down. Harry hurried down the stairs and reached the same door. The plaques still continued on this wall too, and most of the silver was extremely tarnished. There were no years recorded.

Harry and Dobby entered the room and saw Riddle standing just a few paces away. He wasn’t moving “ just staring blankly at the opposite wall. A large tapestry hung there with the image of the sun behind a raging fire. To the left was a snake, blood red, and to the right was a creature that surely did not exist today. Across the top of the tapestry read the words “ in silver and snakelike writing; “Emitth ginfost soh gemoclew, livee hty alth ginni traeh foer upeht sllew dth gilya dni”. Harry hadn’t a clue what it meant, but it sent shivers down his spine.

The walls on either side of Harry had portraits of ancient scenes with witches and wizards of the past dressed in clothing from different eras. Each portrait seemed to be telling a gruesome story, but they all stopped what they were doing to watch Riddle. Riddle was still glaring at the tapestry opposite him. He pulled out his wand and created a long stick, which he threw before him. Instantly spells were released trying to stop the stick from passing. It caught fire and was nothing but ash. The room was once again silent. Riddle drew another stick as he took a step forward to stand over the ash. When he threw this one, daggers flew from the ceiling pinning the wood to the ground as Riddle hopped forward again.

The third stick suffered a seventy-foot drop into a rocky den below. The fourth found itself trapped in a cage of lion’s bones (apparently the inventor of the trap forgot that lion’s need daily feeding) and the fifth simply disappeared. As each trap was preoccupied with the sticks, Riddle advanced. Very slowly, still needing to use all his cunning and all his strength. The tasks had no effect on Harry, and he did not know where Dobby might be. After nearly an hour of slowly crossing the room, Riddle reached the tapestry. Harry had a nagging suspicion that it was woven out of human hair.

As Riddle extended his wand, the tapestry burst violently into flames and the room was illuminated by fire for the second time. A blast of spell tossed back Riddle’s hair as though examining him. The portraits on the wall quivered. Riddle must have passed the examination, for, with a wave of his wand, the flames parted like the Red Sea. He entered the new passage. Harry tried to follow but found he couldn’t. Dobby could not get through. The memory began to fade.

Harry was pummelled back to his room and found he was staring in wonder at the mischievous Pensieve. He had seen enough to help him get there, but he had no idea what would happen beyond the tapestry.

Harry leaped off the floor and fled to wake Ron and Hermione. He paused as he remembered what Ginny had asked him and he felt his heart sink. He was worried about her safety, and he sincerely felt that this would be better accomplished on his own. Nevertheless, he decided it would be best to explain the situation before he flitted off to save the world.

He found everyone down in the kitchen eating breakfast, all looking to be in a terrible mood. He sat down, welcomed only with a few grumbles. When he asked what was the matter, it was Tonks who replied in a very subdued voice.

“Hogwarts is being evacuated,” she muttered into her coffee. “A student was killed while in Hogsmeade. The school will be shut down by the end of the week.”
Chapter 22 by snufflesismyidol
Author's Notes:
After many months, it's here. Enjoy.
Chapter 22 “ This Time Around

“It was no one we knew,” Hermione said softly, daring to look into Harry’s eyes. “It was a Hufflepuff fourth year.”

Harry sat down amongst his pale family, and the events of recent times were replaying in his memory. Fudge, the Watveys, Dumbledore, Sirius, Cedric, his parents…

He stood up abruptly, drawing everyone’s eyes with him.

“Ginny,” he turned to his left, “come with me.”

Ron and Hermione made to follow as Harry led his girlfriend toward the exit. They headed toward the front entrance and Harry turned to his two best friends. He felt awkward and ashamed.

“I’m sorry,” he said hurriedly but honestly to them, “but there can’t be a lot of people on this trip.”

Hermione gave an understanding nod, but Ron looked completely hurt. Ginny pulled on her shoes as Harry struggled into a coat. Harry stopped before opening the door when he noticed the look on Ron’s face. Harry turned to his faithful friend.

“Mate,” he said sincerely, “I’ve seen the place. Riddle himself barely did it.”

Harry left Ron with a look of bewilderment as he and Ginny, using Side“Along Apparition, Disapparated as soon as they left the house.

~*~

They arrived very unevenly in front of Stonehenge. The stones stood unnaturally with the moonlight reflecting in the crisp night.
Ginny, who had so far not received any information, turned to Harry for some answers.

“Why are we here of all places?” she whispered nervously, as though the rocks would hear her and be offended.

“There’s some sort of castle just ahead,” Harry replied anxiously. He gripped her hand and pulled her onward. “Riddle was able to see it, but I don’t know why I couldn’t.”

“Why do you keep referring to it as though you’ve been here before with You-Kn… Voldemort?” She wrenched her hand free and glared intensely at Harry. Harry was feeling very impatient with wasting all this perfectly good time, but explained.

“It was in my Pensieve. Dobby followed Riddle one night and saw him hide the cup here “ well, he never actually saw him “ I don’t think “ but the whole place is rigged! It’s some ancient secret organization -” Harry stopped talking with the convinced look on Ginny’s face. Ginny never led Harry to believe she understood when she knew nothing.

“Come, help me find the door, it was right around here…”

The pair began to feel around for some form of a door handle “ or door in general. Ginny was not quite sure where to look. Harry tried to explain the general direction of the door. It was difficult without Riddle as a guide. Once Harry finally found the wall, it was easier for him.

“I can’t feel a thing!” Ginny exclaimed angrily after nearly a quarter of an hour. “Are you sure I’m looking in the right place? There’s not even a building!”

“What do you mean?” Harry snapped back in frustration. “You’re practically in the entrance hall right now!” He felt his way over against the wall from where he stood (which was about fifteen feet away from Ginny), and found that the wall’s boundaries enclosed Ginny by a good six feet.

“How are you doing that!” Harry almost pleaded. He had no way to get to Ginny, who appeared to be inside the invisible building. He wasn’t sure if this could be dangerous for her, or even how to get to her.

“I’m not sure!” she called over the brewing storm. “Is this how Muggles can’t find this place?”

“Come back! I need to find the door, we’re wasting time!”

“Don’t yell at me as though it is my fault! I’m doing the best I can!” The pair both felt frustrated by the lack of information and help. This was a lot more difficult than Harry would have hoped. He worried about what would greet him on the inside.

Nearly a quarter of an hour after their arrival, Harry found the heavy door. It opened slowly, and they wordlessly slipped inside. Both were so relieved to be out of the tense situation outdoors, even if the inside would prove to be even more aggravating.

The same pale torch glow dimly lit the area as Harry hurried down the hall to the large staircase. The stone masterpiece wound around nearly twenty floors and from wall to wall you could have fit the Great Hall of Hogwarts. He sensed Ginny’s amazement as they leaped down the stairs as quickly as possible, not bothering to admire the ancient names that hung on the wall. Although this place was incredibly old and eerie, there was not a single sign of a life form, not even a spider.

Harry slowed down as he remembered that he didn’t know which landing Riddle had stopped on to open the correct door. Harry felt that it must be somewhere in the next few levels. With Riddle, he felt that they must have descended at least four floors. He thought that he and Ginny must have passed three floors already.

Each door was different, even in the smallest way. He saw a large oak door similar to the one Riddle had entered years ago. He was about to open it tentatively when he remembered the stick. He hesitated momentarily. Harry hoped that the traps hadn’t been adjusted. Figuring it worked for Riddle in a place like this, Harry conjured himself up a stick and opened the door wide enough to throw it in and see the results. The stick vanished instantly, and Harry was beginning to see that this was the wrong room.

One landing down and the stick landed in the familiar death chamber with the tapestry. Harry motioned to Ginny to stay glued to his side at all times. Where he moved, she was to move with him.

He shut the door behind him and strained his memory to remember the traps. He threw a stick, which burned, and then he advanced. His heart pounded against his chest. This is it, he thought, terrified of every sound in the chamber. The daggers pinned the next stick to the ground, and they continued. The third stick fell into the pit that Harry and Ginny jumped over. The “lions” reappeared for the fourth stick. Their eyes were focused intensly all around. A new trap could appear from anywhere.

Just as Riddle had journeyed through many years ago, Harry did the same. He finally reached the tapestry, which he knew had some sort of examination process that he must pass in order to continue. Harry concentrated on Riddle’s actions that night, but he could only think that utmost evil and determination were etched in every line of his face.

Harry concentrated with all his energy and filled his thoughts with only cruel intentions of killing Voldemort. The wind only whispered gently by his ears.

“Help me,” he mouthed to Ginny. “Think like Voldemort would.”

He forced his mind to think about Voldemort’s face, his sneer, his cold, high-pitched laugh. The wind ruffled his hair. He concentrated every atom of his body on all the senseless murders Voldemort had caused over the years. On his right, he saw Ginny with the same determination that he himself felt. His body began to shake with rage and every inch of him was fighting the urge to leave this place to track down Voldemort and seek immediate revenge.

The tapestry lit fire and the wind was strong enough to knock him and Ginny off their feet. As soon as it died, Harry raised his wand as Riddle had, and parted the flames. He had no idea what was supposed to happen after this. He held Ginny’s hand tightly in his and stepped in between the flames.
Chapter 23 by snufflesismyidol
Author's Notes:
One of my favourites. I hope you like it too.
Chapter 23 “ Helga Hufflepuff’s Cup

The flaming tapestry closed abruptly behind him, and it extinguished, leaving Ginny and Harry in total darkness. Harry’s heart rate increased in fear. This time he was not untouchable. This time, he could have his head chopped off. He didn’t dare move in case he fell into a lake, and he was hesitant to use his wand in case it was a trap. Ginny squeezed his hand and began to say something.

“Shh...” Harry silenced her. At this, candles came into light one by one lining the walls. They provided a faint glow that felt harsh on Harry’s skin. The room was completely empty. It was cold, grey stone, just like the rest of the castle, but Harry sensed something whispering in the walls. Ginny looked disappointed.

“Now what do we do?” She looked over her shoulder. The door melted away slowly and soundlessly and Ginny’s grip on Harry’s hand increased. Harry didn’t quiet her this time. He could tell that it would be ok to yell now.

“Do you feel that?” he asked almost joyously. “Do you hear that!” He ran towards the wall and began pressing his palms to every stone he could reach. He wasn’t sure why, but he felt it would be the best thing to do to get past this test.

“Help me!” he demanded of Ginny. She ran to the opposite wall and started doing the same thing.

“What are we looking for?” she hissed as she touched the stones. Her perplexed expression made Harry smile.

“I’m not sure,” he laughed, “but if you feel anything, anything at all unusual, even if it’s just an emotion, tell me, and remember which brick it was.”

“You’re the unusual one,” she muttered impatiently.

Harry ignored the remark and continued touching each stone within reach. The room was not much taller than himself. It would take about an hour for one person to touch each one.

Ginny was annoyed. She couldn’t stand it when Harry didn’t explain anything to her, and Harry knew it. She’d know when they found it “ whatever it was.

This odd room was not too large “ about the same size as Harry’s Gryffindor Dormitory. After nearly ten minutes, the pair was halfway through the room. Just as Harry was beginning to question his theory, Ginny fainted.

“Ginny!” he cried as he raced to her, not even bothering to mark his place on the wall. He held her carefully in his arms and checked for her pulse. Still alive. Still breathing. Yet not awake.

Thinking quickly, Harry conjured up another stick, this time with young, green leaves at the very end of it. Harry used this to poke every stone that Ginny might have touched before she passed out. The proximity was large, for Ginny had fallen sprawled out beside the wall with her head pointing north, feet pointing south. Harry had to stand up and continue prodding each stone in the area near his girlfriend. At the touch of one dark, silvery-grey stone, the leaves turned brown and fell off. Nothing else happened. He was unsure about what to do next. Blood? Harry thought. He cut the tip of his finger with his wand and used the dead stick to dab some blood on the stone. It evaporated, leaving a dry, red residue, but nothing else happened. No, Voldemort would not use the same key twice. Harry shot spell after spell at the stone, but it just absorbed each one. Of course, it wouldn’t be so easy. He was becoming frustrated. Why was nothing working? He paused. What would Voldemort do in this situation? Harry cautiously tried, “Avada Kedavra”, and yet still nothing happened.

They couldn’t get out; they were going to die in here.

“Wake up, Ginny,” he whispered anxiously as he knelt beside her again, lightly slapping the side of he face. She blinked. The stone disappeared. Harry had no idea how. Stone after stone began to tumble all around them as the wall fell apart. Harry clutched Ginny and scooted backwards to avoid the mass of stone now tumbling where he had sat moments before. On the other side, mystifyingly magnified by the gently falling dust, the hand-painted, gold-rimmed masterpiece of a ceramic teacup stood silently on a table in the center of the room.

Harry tried to lift Ginny to her feet, but they would not support her. She was weak, and on the verge of passing out again. Harry slipped his arm under the crook of her knees and hoisted her off the ground. The dust had not yet settled as Harry stepped over the mass of rocks towards the Horcrux. There it was “ victory.

~*~

He increased his pace and stood right in front of the prize. He shifted the unconscious Ginny awkwardly in his arms as he held his wand to the cup. It felt wrong to destroy it; it was so beautiful. It looked as thought it had taken years to create, and now he, a young man, was stealing that beauty with a few simple words.

Avada Kedavra,” he muttered with a defeated tone. The room suffered an explosion of blinding green light and fire. Harry held Ginny close to him as he darted from the room. He stood on the other side of the stone wall and watched. The cup rose into the air and shattered into a million pieces. Harry heard screaming and felt his head split with pain. He knows. Voldemort knows.

Harry was now certain the Horcrux was gone, and he shot into the middle of the room to find the door had reappeared. Through the tapestry he flew into the Trap Room. Each trap lay wasted on the floor. He jumped over the seventy-foot drop with sudden strength, manoeuvred around the lion’s cage, hopped the daggers, and tore through the door. He felt as though he was running away from Voldemort. The evil wizard was not here, but he knew that this Horcrux had been destroyed. Harry was certain that Voldemort didn’t know who did it, but he felt that Voldemort, who thought he had at least four remaining pieces of his soul, would be in a hurry to make a new piece as soon as possible. Harry needed to protect someone from being murdered, and to protect this search from being prolonged. Harry tried to Apparate home as he ran breathlessly up the stairs and all through the halls, but he found he couldn’t.

Once he was outside, the building became invisible. He Apparated at once.
Chapter 24 by snufflesismyidol
Author's Notes:
Sorry for the wait, but expect another one before chapter 25. I still need to write it :)
Chapter 24 “ Warning

Harry, with Ginny still unconscious, arrived at number twelve Grimmauld Place panting and terrified. Harry had not realized that they had spent nearly five hours on their quest as it was now mid afternoon. After sprinting up the stairs, Harry found most of the family, or at least those that didn’t have to go to work, cleaning in the sitting room. They all hurried toward him as they noticed Ginny, limp in his arms.

“Oh my God, Harry!” Hermione panicked. “What happened?” They were stroking Ginny’s hair, checking for vital signs, and trying to pry her away from Harry. He clutched onto her as though letting go would be letting her die.

“There’s no time to explain that right now. I need to speak to everyone in the Order as soon as possible!” Harry exclaimed as he unwillingly laid Ginny to rest in an armchair. He kept her hand in his.

“Well, only Remus is here aside from us, Harry,” Mrs. Weasley said desperately as she examined her daughter. She was using her wand to see what was wrong.

“She’s alright,” Harry said to her, and Mrs. Weasley began to cry in relief, but she didn’t stop what she was doing. “Where’s Remus?”

Harry was directed to go to Lupin’s room where he found the werewolf reading the newspaper. Lupin appeared startled by the boy ramming through his door on what had been such a quiet day. Harry explained, and at once, Lupin shot up and left to gather the rest of the Order.

Harry darted up yet another flight of stairs into his own room. He fled toward the portrait of Dumbledore. The old Headmaster was sleeping peacefully with a nightcap on his head and a cup of tea in his hands. Harry regretted having to wake him.

“Professor…?”

Dumbledore’s eyes snapped open so suddenly that Harry jumped back, quite startled.

“I found the cup -” he started without preamble.

“You did!” Dumbledore sat up, impressed. “Where?”

“I’ll explain that later, but it’s destroyed, and -”

“Congratulations, Harry!”

“Wait!” Harry interrupted impatiently, “Voldemort knows. I felt it, and I’m certain that he will want to make a new one. Please gather up Professor McGonagall and send her over as soon as possible. If there are any other Order members you can find, send them here, too! There is no time to waste. We need to isolate Voldemort and make sure no one is within miles of him.”

Dumbledore followed Harry’s orders immediately, which surprised Harry more than anything.

Seconds later, he entered the front hallway to find that Tonks, Moody, and three other Order members from the Ministry had arrived. They were all looking up at him, confused and nervous. They seemed to have come directly from the office for they all held a paper or two they had been holding when they Disapparated.

“What’s going on, boy?” Moody questioned gruffly. He had a whole stack of forms in his hand, which he vanished with a wave of his wand.

Harry explained as quickly as he could, and then set out his demands again.

“How are we supposed to find Voldemort?” one of the Ministry workers asked.

“I have no idea, but just warn people to lock themselves in their basements, or something!” He was tired of explaining, and he just wanted to assure that the needs were met.

The five witches and wizards shifted uncomfortably.

“Abort the plan, then?” Tonks asked Moody.

“I’ll say,” he replied. “Spread the word.”

“Wait,” Harry asked, confused, “what plan “ oh, the plan…” The Ministry plan loomed suddenly in his mind.

“We were going to do that today, Harry,” Tonks explained, “but we can’t go through with it after this.” She directed her eyes to the ground. Harry knew how much work it had been to set up.

“But is the Portkey set?” Harry said slowly.

“Yes, we finished everything yesterday,” she sighed.

“We might be able to use it somehow,” a plump Ministry witch said.

“I don’t see how.” Tonks shook her head. “It’s all set up in Hogwarts.”

“So if anyone were to touch it, they’d be transported to the Department of Mysteries?”

“Where they might be forced through the Veil,” Moody finished impressively.

“It won’t work now, but there’s not much we can do about that,” Harry said irritably. They were wasting time. “We need to stop Voldemort before he makes another Horcrux. Keep a lookout, and tell everyone what I’ve said.” The five Aurors left the house to follow Harry’s instructions.

Harry returned to the sitting room where half the Weasley family (plus Hermione) sat beside Ginny. She was as pale as ever, and her mother matched her colour.

“Fred, George,” Harry said sharply, “I need you to start warning people about Voldemort being on the lookout for another Horcrux.” No one shuddered at the name.

What?” Mrs. Weasley was on her feet in the blink of an eye.

“Mrs. Weasley,” Harry continued as though he hadn’t heard her shout, “the members of the Order should be arriving very shortly and steadily, and I need you to tell them that Voldemort is looking for someone to kill for a Horcrux. Send them out to warn people.”

“How do you know all this?” Hermione asked nervously as she gripped Ron’s hand in hers.

“I just do,” Harry answered solemnly.

He walked gingerly over to his girlfriend and knelt quietly beside her. He stroked her hair gently and kissed her cheek before standing and turning to the others who were just waiting and watching.

“Come on! No time to lose!” He headed for the door before Ron grabbed his arm. Mrs. Weasley scooted out of the door. Fred and George followed as quickly as they could move.

“You of all people are not going out there,” he said wide-eyed and sincere. Hermione nodded vigorously with approval.

“Why not?” Harry demanded irritably.

“Don’t you think,” Ron explained with a roll of his eyes, “that the biggest trophy of all would be you? Isn’t it possible that he would want to kill you, once and for all, to ensure his unending ruling of the world?”

Harry thought for only a moment before replying, “No.” He continued walking for the door.

“Oh, don’t be stupid!” Hermione snarled. “You’re staying right where you are. I mean, look what already happened to Ginny!”

Harry whipped around so fast that he cricked his neck. “Ginny is FINE!” he shouted, while rubbing his injury.

“Well, she’s not perfect, is she?” Ron scowled.

Harry grabbed the front of Ron’s shirt.

Don’t talk to me about who I have hurt and who I have killed,” he whispered. As he let go of the shirt, he pushed Ron away from him. “I’m out to fix that now. But I need your help. Do what you can to track Voldemort, or to warn people. Don’t try to kill him; it can’t be done yet. I still need to find and destroy one more Horcrux before I can do it.”
Chapter 25 by snufflesismyidol
Chapter 25 “ Preparation

Mrs. Weasley re-entered the room, slightly out of breath. She placed her hand on her chest, trying to bring her heart rate back to normal.

“Nearly all the members have come and gone with your instructions,” she panted.

“Nearly? Who hasn’t come yet?” Harry asked nervously. He was pacing the floor now, never taking his eyes off Ginny. Hermione and Ron stood beside the couch where Ginny lay. Hermione rested her head on Ron’s shoulder, waiting anxiously for a reply.

“Well…” She lifted her eyes to the ceiling in silent calculation. “Rita hasn’t shown up yet, neither has Josephine, nor Minerva.”

“I wonder what’s taking McGonagall,” Harry murmured more to himself. “I sent Dumbledore for her personally.”

“I’m sure it’s nothing,” Ron consoled automatically.

“Let’s hope,” Harry muttered. He was very torn about leaving Ginny in the state she was in to go fight Voldemort, Snape, Malfoy, and the rest. Voldemort was sure to bring his followers along. He knelt down beside her again and petted her hair lightly.

The room fell dead silent as everyone pondered over the situation. The sun, barely visible through a tiny window in the far left corner, was setting smoothly behind a curtain of clouds. The sky was tinted purple and orange as the moon slowly became more and more visible to the neighbours outside. In the cold, dark room, the air felt ominous and tense. Harry refused to tear his eyes away from Ginny. She looked so peaceful now. He could hear her steady breath, in and out, like the ticking of a clock. He blinked back a lonesome tear.

“She’ll be fine, Harry, don’t worry about her,” Hermione stated firmly.

“Yeah,” he muttered. Just a short while ago he had been so convinced this was true. “I suppose I should go then…”

“No!” Ron and Hermione shouted simultaneously.

“We’ve been though this. It’s too dangerous,” Hermione pleaded.

“What do you mean, dangerous? I’m the only one who has a shot at killing him, and I still need to find one more Horcrux before it can be done! There is no point in standing here waiting for it to fall into my hands.”

“What good will searching for it do?” Mrs. Weasley finally jumped in. “Dumbledore couldn’t find it, Harry, and I don’t want you to get your hopes up over something so ridiculously impossible! Isn’t there some other way you can… he can be killed?”

“No,” Harry shook his head sullenly, “not until the final Horcrux is gone.”

Harry’s attention was suddenly caught on Phineas’ deteriorating frame as Dumbledore appeared anxiously behind Harry’s two best friends. Harry lost his breath at the look of panic on Dumbledore’s face, but Ron and Hermione, who had not noticed him, jumped as he spoke.

“Voldemort is at Hogwarts!” Dumbledore seemed prepared for immediate reaction, but faced only confused expressions.

“Why?” Ron asked simply.

Dumbledore shook his head, displaying the same emotion. “I don’t know, but he’s there “ guarding it, it would appear.”

“But it was evacuated already!” Hermione reasoned. “There should be no one there!”

“Minerva,” Dumbledore closed his eyes slowly, as though too tired to continue.

“What about her?” Harry snapped.

“She didn’t leave.”

~*~

Barely five minutes later, Harry was barking panicked orders once again. The house was in disarray as people ran up and down the stairs in a hurry to gather up what they needed. Dumbledore had explained that McGonagall had no other home to go to when the school closed. She was loyal to the castle and took her responsibilities as Headmistress seriously. Harry listened intently to what his mentor had to say, and he evaluated what to do. He needed her out of there immediately. He didn’t understand Voldemort’s reasons for being there, but he knew McGonagall, as talented as she was, could not defend herself against the Death Eaters. Voldemort was after something far more serious than petty murders.

“Harry,” Dumbledore said as Harry started to rise, “listen to me. Don’t be an unnecessary hero. If you are injured, it is all right to sit it out for a bit. You are incredibly important to us.”

“I know. I’m the only one who can finish this.”

“No, Harry, that’s not why.” Dumbledore motioned for Harry to stay for just a moment longer. “If you and Voldemort were to both die, we would forever feel that we lost the war. Nothing is more important than a pure human life, Harry, remember that. If one person can be saved, it is worth pain, but you must be careful to avoid throwing your life around like a word on the tongue. You only get one chance at life; we all do. Don’t let it be wasted.”

Harry could only nod. He mulled it all over in his head as he descended heavily down the stairs to the kitchen. The person who meant the most to him was lying unconscious in an upstairs room. His family was assembling for war. And he couldn’t help feeling that it was not worth the pain. Voldemort had no right to destroy his life like this “ the lives of so many. Who gave him the power? Who gave him the authority? He just stole it. Cowardly, cruelly. He had no right to steal someone’s life. Not my parents’, not my friends’, not mine.

~*~

“But why is he there?” Ron exclaimed as he slammed his fist on the table around which a few members were hurriedly packing up a few things. “Why on Earth Hogwarts? It makes no sense!”

“You’re right. It doesn’t.” Harry ran a hand through his hair and stood up suddenly, blood rushing to his head. “Let’s go.”

“What “ right now?” Ron blurted, rising to meet Harry’s eyes.

One by one, the rest of the people in the room “ Mr. Weasley, Moody, Fred, Bill, Tonks, Charlie, George, Hermione, and three Ministry wizards “ rose with looks of determination on their faces “ like soldiers prepared for battle.

“Come on,” Moody ushered, waving his hands in the direction of the door.

Harry swelled up as each one passed. They were loyal, no doubt about that. When finally Charlie had excited the room, Harry remembered that he was in charge of giving the orders, and he scrambled to catch up with his troops.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=32473