Could It Be Magic? by joanna
Summary: Kingsley Shacklebolt at Downing Street 10. How he finds love at the most unexpected place.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2552 Read: 1441 Published: 10/11/05 Updated: 10/11/05

1. - by joanna

- by joanna
Could It Be Magic?


Thirty-four year old Maureen Fleming hurried to the door swearing under her breath. She was no ordinary maid, whose only task was to open the door and welcome the visitors with a smile. Surely, there must be someone else to greet that new secretary? She was in charge of a whole household! That she had a famous godfather, the Prime Minister, no one knew. She got this job because he recommended her, and she swore that she wouldn’t betray his faith in her. Oh, she had the required qualifications, but she knew she was way too young for such an important job. But because no one knew how they were related, Maureen had to endure some rather nasty remarks about how she got the job. She had never waster any thoughts on that and they couldn’t make her to give up. Besides the salary was great and as a divorced mother of two twelve-year old daughters she needed the money, so she couldn’t afford it to be too sensitive. And after seeing how hard she was working the rumor died.

She was just watching over the maids doing their weekly polishing work when the house phone rang.

“Maureen, could you please send someone downstairs to greet the new secretary? We are way behind with this report, and it’s summer, you see, and…”

“Alright, John, I’ll go,” she said with a sigh.

“Just send someone,” John told her and then hung up.

“Yes, you see, it’s summer, and we are expecting a head of state, in case you forgot,” Maureen muttered, but then made her way downstairs.

She opened the door and then stepped back to let in the secretary.

“Welcome to Downing Street 10,” she said in her cheeriest voice and gave him a genuine smile. The man was tall, black, and handsome, surely not the type Maureen would have noticed earlier. However, he was radiating self-confidence and warmth while his eyes betrayed that he had a sense of humor.

“Thank you,” he said in his deep voice, and Maureen looked up into his eyes. She felt her knees go weak, and slowly she shut the door to occupy herself while waiting for the strange feeling to wear off.

“Hi, I’m Kingsley Shacklebolt, the new secretary” he told her as he gave her his hand and smiled.

“Hi,” she replied as she finally gathered herself and took the outstretched hand. “I’m Maureen Fleming, the housekeeper of this establishment,” she said and smiled again against her better judgment. She knew she had to look like an idiot with all those smiles.

“You say it so, as if this,” here he paused and gestured around, “would be a house for the mental,” he joked.

“Well, sort of,” Maureen giggled. “I’ll show you to your office.” She looked up at him again and saw sparkles in his eyes.

“Thank you for your kindness,” he responded gratefully and bowed his head slightly as Maureen was about to leave the room.

“You are welcome,” she told him as she smiled again before hurrying off.

That state dinner went off without much to complain about, although Maureen knew that it wasn’t flawless. She tended to be a perfectionist when it came to her job. She looked down at the tablet and nodded. The teapot, the teacups and the plate with the biscuits were arranged perfectly. She made a mental note to speak to that new girl in the kitchens. She was a useful asset.

“You can go inside,” the new secretary told her when she arrived in the outer office of the Prime Minister. He stood up and knocked at the door. She followed his hand as in trance. Till this day she couldn’t figure out why she was drawn to this man. Was it his smile, his eyes or something else? She wanted to know desperately. Maybe then “ but just maybe, she had to admit “ would she be able to spend two consecutive hours without thinking of him? A sudden movement caught her eyes, something silvery-bright, but as she turned she couldn’t perceive anything. After the “Enter” she walked in and put the tablet onto the Prime Minister’s desk.

“I’m done with the report,” Kingsley announced to his boss and waited a bit.

“Thank you, Shacklebolt, you may go home then,” the Prime Minister told him with a nod.

“Thank you, sir,” he said politely and bowed slightly and then left the office.

Maureen poured out the tea and then waited to be excused.

“Thank you, Maureen,” the Prime Minister told her and then turned back to his guest.

Maureen stepped out and shut the door silently. She looked around, but Kingsley was already gone. She looked over his desk, but then shook her head. There was nothing. She suddenly remembered that she wanted to go to the kitchens.

Two days later when she knocked on the door of the Prime Minister, Kingsley was not present; Maureen met him on her way here because he was called to a meeting.

“Sir?” she asked after she was allowed to enter. “Sir?” she asked again, because he was immersed in a paper.

“Yes, Maureen?” he finally looked up. Maureen saw that he was tired and worried. She saw him barely these days; he was very busy with all those cabinet meetings. She wondered why all the ministers were called back from their holidays. Of course, there were strange things happening, but what could they do against the forces of nature? Sure, there were a lot of unexplainable things, but Maureen couldn’t imagine that those men and women could possibly figure out what was behind it. She knew it at first hand that they had null to zero imagination.

“Sir, we have to hire more help for the reception on Tuesday,” Maureen said respectfully.

“But we’ve just hired two more maids, I saw the report about it,” he said irritably and looked at her questioningly.

“Yes, sir,” Maureen replied softly and lowered her head; she was ashamed for the failure. Of course, she was ashamed for no reason, but she felt she had failed. The chief cook told her to relax, that although she was in charge, she wasn’t responsible for other people’s decisions.

“About the two new maids, sir, one of them left on her first day and the other one two days later. They are both under medical treatment and both are diagnosed with depression.”

“Alright, Maureen, do what you have to do. This reception has top priority,” he told her wearily.

“Thank you, sir,” Maureen replied and went to leave, but the Prime Minister’s voice stopped him.

“Maureen…” he trailed off. “Why aren’t you depressed?” he asked her, measuring her with a frown.

“Well, sir…” she stuttered and blushed deeply and wasn’t able to answer.

“I see,” the Prime Minister chuckled with a knowing nod and smiled at Maureen benignly. “Could you tell Kingsley to come in?”

“Of course, sir,” Maureen said with a compliant nod and then went outside.

For a minute she observed the secretary unnoticed. He didn’t hear her leave the minister’s office, but maybe he sensed her, because he turned. He smiled at her, and Maureen’s knees went weak again. She straightened and looked at him in a “ hopefully “ strictly professional manner.

“The Prime Minister is awaiting you,” she delivered the boss’s request.

She lingered a bit in case Kingsley got out earlier than usual. She was so unsure of herself, but she definitely knew that she wanted to talk to him and wanted to see him. She wanted to see the sun reflected in his eyes, and she wanted to see his smile. She wanted to hear his voice, but most of all, she wanted him to speak to her.

She was brought out of her reverie as the phone rang. She picked up automatically.

“It’s me, Arthur,” she heard from the other end of the line.

“Here is Maureen Fleming. Mr. Shacklebolt is with the Prime Minister. Do you want to leave a message?” she asked politely.

“Well, tell him please, that the date has been changed. It’s tonight at ten,” the man said hastily.

“And you were?” Maureen inquired cordially.

“Well, Arthur Weasley,” the man said hesitantly, and she could almost picture him being confused. “I didn’t say my name?” he asked her in a whisper.

“No, sir,” she told him with an indulgent smile. It all clicked into place in that moment he told her his name.

“I’m terribly sorry, Ms. Fleming,” the man stuttered, so she hurried to reassure him that she didn’t take it as an offense. “I’ll never get used to this,” his murmur was barely audible.

“I’ll write a message for him, Mr. Weasley,” Maureen told him and could hear the relief in his voice as he said thank you.

“Well, good bye, Ms. Fleming. And have a nice day,” Arthur Weasley said than hung up. Maureen was still smiling when Kingsley stepped out of the inner office.

“There was a call for you,” she relayed the message to him, the smile still lingering on her lips.

“It was Arthur, wasn’t it?” Kingsley asked, an amused smile appearing on his face.

“How could you know?” Maureen replied, absolutely perplexed.

“Well, he has a way with… things that makes me smile that way often,” Kingsley admitted.

“You mean, Muggle-things?” Maureen asked him, looking straight into his eyes.

This time it was Kingsley’s turn to stand there dumbfounded. He stood there as if rooted to the spot and couldn’t utter a single word.

“And how do you know about Muggles?” he finally was able to say something.

“Well, it happens that my twins go to Hogwarts,” she whispered secretively.

Kingsley looked at her and was amazed by this revelation.

“And you are here, because…?” Maureen asked him, trying to hide her nervousness by keeping up the conversation. She felt that this was an important stage in their relationship.

“I’m an Auror. You know what an Auror is?”

“Something like a policeman, no?” she asked uncertainly.

“Sure,” Kingsley replied kindly and nodded. “I’m here to ensure the safety of the Prime Minister.”

“So everything is as they told me,” it was more like a statement than a question.

“Yes, Voldemort, the Death Eaters, and the Dementors are on the loose, and we have to be vigilant. Which house do they belong?” he asked and the smile returned on his face.

“Sophie is in Ravenclaw, and Maggie is in Gryffindor,” Maureen informed him.

“So that’s why you recognized Arthur’s name,” Kingsley said with a smirk.

“Yes. They are talking about Harry and his friends constantly. Maggie wants to be a Quidditch player,” she confided to him. “Is it dangerous?” she finally had the chance to ask for a grownup’s opinion.

“Sometimes,” Kingsley answered truthfully. “Maureen?” he looked at her doubtfully.

“Yes?” she replied without daring to use his name.

“Would you like to dine with me tonight?” he implored gently and looked at her, hopefully.

“Well, I’d love to but…”

“You can bring the kids, if you want,” he hurried to reassure her.

“It’s not that. I have a reliable baby-sitter. Mr. Weasley called to tell you that the date had been changed. It’s tonight, at ten,” she quoted Arthur Weasley.

“Thank you,” he acknowledged the message with a nod and then seemed to be deep in his thoughts. “Well, that changes our plans,” he said quietly and finally looked up. “Let’s say, Saturday?”

“Alright,” Maureen happily agreed.

“And the invitation still stands. You can bring the girls,” he explained.

Maureen nodded. Maybe she should. Maybe they would accept someone from their world sooner. She had already tried to date, but the girls always rejected those men. Not that she dated many Muggle men, anyway. She knew they were not the best choices, but she was quite desperate at that time.

The next day Maureen had to declare the whole place an asylum. The door was always open so often as they came and went. She didn’t have a chance to watch the TV, but she knew that the opposition’s leader had accused the Prime Minister “to sit idle while the nation is standing on the verge of collapse like the Brockdale Bridge.” Yes, John, head of the office, told her, quoting that ‘awful’ man. At five o’clock, she supervised the two new maids who brought tea and biscuits to the Cabinet Room. She looked at her boss sympathetically.

When she noticed that the Prime Minister was still in his room around eight o’clock, she decided to stay on late, too. The girls were with their grandmother, and she didn’t want to go home to an empty house anyway. Twenty minutes before midnight she knocked cautiously at the door.

“Enter,” the minister replied, and Maureen stepped in.

He was sitting behind his desk and was deeply engrossed in a report. He looked up, his eyes reluctantly leaving the page.

“Maureen?” he was surprised. “You should be at home,” he said, his tone tired, not reprimanding.

“I saw that you are still here and wanted to ask if you need something. Tea, maybe?”

“Coffee,” he asked gratefully. “And then you should really go home.”

“Yes, sir.”

“I’m awaiting a call from the President of the USA. He told me he would call me around midnight,” he added as an afterthought.

Maureen nodded and then hurried off to the kitchens. She made coffee and then went back to the office. She heard the minister’s muffled voice, but she didn’t want to disturb him. She turned back and was startled by the view. Kingsley stood there. She stared at him, completely mesmerized as the coffeepot made its way to the ground. Fortunately, there was a thick carpet, which damped the sound of its fall, but, of course, it couldn’t prevent it from spilling.

“Let me do it,” Kingsley told her as she squatted to pick up the pot. He bent down and picked it up. He drew his wand, murmured something and the stain disappeared.

“You have to teach that to my girls,” Maureen told him, still looking at the spot. “Why are you here?”

“He has visitors,” he replied solemnly and pointed at the door behind which the Prime Minister was engaged in a conversation with Fudge and Scrimgeour.

Maureen stood there, not knowing what to do. Should she leave, or should she wait till the visitors left? She was engrossed in her thoughts and shuddered when Kingsley touched her shoulder.

“They have left,” he announced.

Maureen looked around, but she couldn’t see anyone. The door remained closed.

“I have to go, too” Kingsley told her, looked around swiftly, then bent down and kissed her lightly on the lips. “Good night, Maureen,” he whispered, his voice a bit hoarse.

“Good night, Kingsley,” she said looking after him dreamily.


Thanks silly55lady for the Beta.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=33964