Imperius by Pallas
Summary: “Imperius… Werewolves…You-Know-Who…” The last words of a dying man force Remus Lupin into a dangerous investigation at the infamous Feral Institute. Sequel to Oblivious; pre-reading would be useful but it isn’t vital.
Categories: General Fics Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 50 Completed: Yes Word count: 184584 Read: 177103 Published: 10/15/05 Updated: 09/15/07
The Die is Cast by Pallas
Author's Notes:
Well, here goes. Welcome to the chapter I regard as the beginning of a very long finale run in. I'm afraid it's cliffie land from here on in so don your climbling boots...;)
25: The Die is Cast

“Well of course it’s Polyjuice Potion, Lupin!” With a disdainful sneer, Severus Snape deposited the vial of foul liquid on the desk in front of him, his dark eyes flicking across the fellow professor who stood in front of him with undisguised irritation. “I would have thought even someone of your renowned incompetence with potions would have been able to tell that!” He shook his head with a flurry of greasy hair. “For this you keep me from breakfast!”

Remus successfully resisted the urge to roll his eyes but it was a close run thing. He had arrived back at Hogwarts not long before, forcing his mind to concentrate on business, business, business and with that firmly and forcefully in the forefront of his mind, he had made his way down into the castle’s depths to the dungeon office of the Potions Master. To say that Snape was not pleased to see him was to suggest that it might perhaps be unlikely to expect a Dementor to wander up to a Patronus and give it a warm embrace; the Head of Slytherin had regarded his request for a second opinion with sneering annoyance and, after snapping about the inconsiderateness of interrupting a man on his way to eat, had ushered Remus inside with a sweep of his robes and all but snatched up the vial for inspection.

And now the inspection was complete and the worst confirmed.

However foul temperedly.

“Tonks was fairly certain,” Remus’ reply was level, as he determinedly ignored the twinge that the thought of his… whatever she was now induced. “But considering the implications, we felt it important to be sure.”

“Ah yes. Miss Tonks.” There was a cruel twist to Snape’s slight smile. “Considering the number of spilled ingredients and sliced fingers she achieved in my classes, it’s a miracle that she survived NEWT potions let alone passed it. I can see why her word would not be sufficient proof.”

Remus battled a flare of indignation. He was tired, confused and worried and the last thing he needed at the moment was a sniping session with Severus Snape. “I don’t know,” he replied coolly. “Given your legendary tolerance of clumsiness, I would have said it was a credit to her that she passed NEWT potions in spite of having you for a teacher.”

Snape’s eyes narrowed coldly. “Feisty this morning, aren’t we Lupin?” he retorted with a drawl. “Is moonrise coming early perhaps?”

Remus cocked an eyebrow. “At least I have an excuse.”

The corners of Snape’s mouth curled minutely. “Indeed. Your great excuse,” he drawled dryly. “The excuse that you wield like a club to gain sympathy and understanding from the gullible and to loftily disdain those who’d dislike you perfectly well even without it. Hide behind your lycanthropy if you want to, Lupin. It saves you the trouble of being a man.”

Given the argument he had been forced to use to deflect Tonks less than an hour before, Remus was definitely not in the mood for this. “Just as you lash out from behind your Dark Mark?” he retorted archly, abandoning any last pretence at politeness as the tumult of emotions still tumbling within him sought out this newfound vent. “At least I didn’t choose my curse.”

Any hint of pleasure on Snape’s face was instantly washed away. His dark eyes flared. “That isn’t what I’ve heard,” he lashed back.

Of for the love of… “What are you talking about?” Remus’ reply was a mixture of irritation and weariness. “Severus, I’m not in the mood…”

“The Howling.” Those two brusque words scattered the remains of the dismissive sentence into dust. “You chose your curse then “ or so I’m told.”

Silence, deep and echoing, settled across the stony dungeon. Remus stared at Snape as the Potion Master’s smirk slowly but steadily spread once more as the upper hand returned to his control.

“Nothing to say, Lupin?” he drawled quietly. “Oh dear, oh dear.”

Steeling himself, Remus shook away the shock and forced himself to speak.

“How do you know about that?” he whispered sharply. “Who told you?”

Snape chuckled, a cold and humourless sound as he abruptly turned and swept past Remus in the direction of the door. “I have my sources. Lupin the feral. I was intrigued.”

Remus turned sharply on his heel to face Snape’s retreating back. “I wasn’t feral.”

“So you say.” Snape’s long pale fingers curled around the doorknob. “Others think differently.”

What others?”

Snape glanced back over his shoulder with a distinct sneer. “Others whose opinions matter rather more than yours. Honestly, Lupin. You really should take more care with your secrets. You can be terribly indiscreet.”

Remus took a deep breath as he forced some measure of calm into his voice. “Severus,” he said softly. “What do you know?”

A slight smile. “Enough. Now if you’ll excuse me…”

Fingers turned the doorknob. Remus half started forward, determined to get some measure of truth out of Snape about the source of his information, but before he had taken two steps, the door Severus was holding vibrated sharply with the powerful percussion of a double knock. Both men started slightly; but after a moment’s pause, Snape’s customary frown slipped back into position as he sharply yanked the door open.

Minerva McGonagall stepped abruptly through the doorway onto the stone step. Her hat was slightly askew and she looked a little out of breath.

“Ah, Severus!” she exclaimed at once. “Albus needs you to…” Her voice trailed off as her eyes fixed upon the form of Remus frozen in surprise a few yards away. “Remus!” she exclaimed in surprise. “Why, I didn’t know you were back! How did it go?”

Remus fought not to wince. “Not as well as it could have done,” he admitted ruefully. “But we did find…”

“You came here to see me, Minerva?” Snape’s interruption was impatient as he swept back down the stairs. “Is there something I can do for you?” He shot a disdainful glance in Remus’ direction. “After all, I was hoping to reach the breakfast table before I died of old age.”

“I’m afraid breakfast will have to wait.” Minerva stepped forward brusquely. “Albus has gone to the Ministry of Magic and he needs you to join him immediately. There is to be an emergency session of the Wizengamot and he needs your advice before it convenes.”

“Emergency session?” It was Remus who injected his query first. “Why? What for?”

Minerva glanced from face to face, a hint of a satisfied smile touching the edges of her features. “Because we’ve finally had some good news, gentlemen. Bellatrix Lestrange has been arrested.”

* * *

The Great Hall was alive with chatter. It seemed that word of Bellatrix’s arrest had already got around.

Harry Potter looked grimly pleased. Draco Malfoy looked sour faced and infuriated.

Neville Longbottom however, was not present at all.

As they entered the Great Hall side by side, Minerva caught Remus’ lingering gaze in the direction on the Gryffindor table and gave a profound sigh.

“I’ve asked Professor Sprout to keep Longbottom busy in the greenhouses,” she said softly, her voice barely audible above the clamour of students below. “I thought it best that he have something else to occupy his mind until we have more definite word of what’s afoot.”

“Good idea,” Remus nodded quietly. “Do you think Severus has arrived yet?”

Minerva glanced a clock ensconced on a nearby wall. “Probably. But don’t worry, Remus. He’ll deliver your message to Albus.”

Remus pursed his lips. It wasn’t that he didn’t trust Snape precisely; but he knew that in such matters, the Potions Master was notorious for using his own “ahem- judgement on the passing of important information. He sighed. “I just wish I could have told the Headmaster about our findings myself.”

Minerva’s glance was stern. “Albus was very definite, Remus. You are not to leave the grounds of Hogwarts for any reason without his expressed permission.” At his weary expression, she smiled slightly. “It’s for the best, Remus. And besides, all available Aurors have been called in for duty; if Albus needs a first hand account, I’m certain he’ll simply find Miss Tonks.”

Remus pictured the look on Tonks’ face on receiving that summons to duty after a night on Order business “ he could just imagine the weary sigh, the flash of indignation behind her eyes, the irritable flickers of her expression…

Business, Lupin. You made your decision and she deserves to know where things stand. Don’t do her the discourtesy of not sticking to it.

“Remus? Did you hear what I just said?”

He cursed himself as Minerva’s quiet query exposed the fact that he had drifted off. Focus

“Sorry Minerva.” He made himself smile. “I was just thinking about something. What were you saying?”

Minerva’s eyebrow lifted sternly against the echoing tap of her heels against the stone floor. “I said, what was going on between you and Snape just before I arrived? You could have cut the air in that room with a knife, Remus.”

Remus immediately shook his head. “It was nothing. It doesn’t matter. Severus was just being Severus.”

The staff table loomed in front of them, half full with colleagues “ Remus started towards his usual chair but Minerva’s fingers closed around his arm and forestalled him.

“That was more than your usual banter,” the Head of Gryffindor muttered softly. “Tell me the truth, Remus.”

Remus sighed deeply as he glanced around to ensure that no one was lurking within earshot. “He surprised me,” he admitted, his voice a mere whisper of breath. “He knew something that I didn’t expect him to know “ something that isn’t really known outside of the Feral Institute. And since we have a Polyjuice impostor there, finding out who told him might be… significant.”

Minerva rolled her eyes. “But being Severus, he wouldn’t tell you?”

Remus nodded curtly. “Exactly.”

The Deputy Headmistress sighed. “I’ll speak to Albus when he returns,” she said, her expression pointed. “If anyone can persuade Severus to talk…”

“Snape won’t appreciate it.”

“I don’t much care.” Minerva’s features locked sternly. “His role is to provide information and I intend to see to it that he…”

But her sentence was not destined for completion.

“Professor McGonagall! Professor Lupin!”

It was as though silence had exploded through the Great Hall, vivid and abrupt, stilling chatter in a sharp edged wave of soundlessness as a mass of heads turned to stare up at the doorway all as one. But Hagrid seemed oblivious to the weight of eyes as his vast form lumbered down the stairs and onto the floor of the hall with speed surprising for his bulk, his bearded face red and puffing with exertion, his stare filled with outright alarm. His beetle black eyes fixed at once upon the two professors whose names he had just proclaimed as he made an instant beeline for them.

Remus was already moving, Minerva a mere step behind “ out of the corner of his eye, Remus caught a glimpse of Harry rocketing to his feet as well but had no time to turn with a reprimand. “Hagrid?” he exclaimed instead. “What’s wrong?”

“Remus!” The half-giant expelled his name between gasping breaths as he staggered to a halt in front of them, bending near double as he waved one desperate hand across the air. “Remus, yeh’ve gotta get out’o’ere!”

What? “Hagrid, what are you…”

“No time!” The gamekeeper snapped the rest of his words away as he gestured emphatically towards the door. “They’re comin’! I tried to stop ‘em, tried to slow ‘em down but they wouldn’t ‘ave it! I told ‘em their charges were a load o’dung but they wouldn’t listen! That bloody Umbridge has sighed their warrant an’ they wants yer! They can take yer! Yeh’ve gotta go, Remus! Now!

Warrant? Oh no, oh no, no, no…

Darting forward, Remus grasped one of Hagrid’s beefy arms, his eyes wide, his heart racing. Don’t be, please don’t be…

“Hagrid,” he gasped hurriedly. “Do you mean the Feral Inst…”

Remus John Lupin.”

Too slow. Too late.

Remus slowly closed his eyes. He did not need to look to know the voice that echoed the length of the Great Hall, intoning his full name with a mixture of smugness and disdain. “Oh no,” he whispered in soft, weary despair.

Croll. Arcadius bloody Croll.

This was not going to be pretty.

Sickness welled in the depths of his stomach. If this was what he suspected it was, if this was a legal warrant…

This is it. I can fight off an ambush. But fighting off the law? A werewolf defying the Ministry in front of a thousand witnesses?

I’ll be lucky if I only get life in Azkaban.


He had to hand it to Rebekah “ or whoever had become Rebekah. They had played their final hand to perfection.

The staccato tap of Minerva’s heels roused him from his distraction as his former Head of House brushed past his shoulder, her Scottish brogue ringing out across the hall with clipped and merciless indignation.

“And who exactly are you?” The Deputy Headmistress’ voice was set at the precise intonation and pitch that had left generations of young wizards quaking like jelly in her wake. “And what gives you the right to stroll uninvited into this school?”

Slowly, reluctantly, Remus turned. There was Croll, tall and straight, poised on the highest step of the descent into the Great Hall as he gazed down with a combination of superior disdain and smirking triumph at the rows of shocked student faces and the furious expression of Minerva McGonagall as she covered the length of the floor in dangerous, deliberate strides. One hand brandished a scroll like a weapon; the other toyed with his wand with almost mocking casualness. Flanking him on either side, blank faced, burly and brutal, six men bearing the insignia of the Werewolf Capture Unit glared down, their fingers stroking armaments.

Remus resisted the urge to roll his eyes.

Give Croll his due. He doesn’t do things by halves.

It was not until Minerva had reached the foot of the steps, languishing all but in the shadow of Croll’s expansive nose, that the researcher deigned to reply.

“I am Arcadius Croll.” Straightening his shoulders with a slick smile, Croll’s voice flowed smoothly across the suddenly silent Great Hall. “Chief Medical Officer of the Feral Institute of Great Britain. And this…” he flourished his scroll, “gives me the right to be wherever he is.” One bony finger directed itself to where Remus stood, picking him out as though to pin him like a butterfly to card. His oily smile spread. “And on the authority of the Ministry of Magic, I must inform you that I have permission for the use of full magical force against the good Professor or any who interfere in the lawful completion of my duties.” The smile oozed into a fresh smirk as his eyebrows stretched upwards. “So may I suggest that you moderate your tone? I would certainly regret it if any…unfortunate accidents were to occur.”

Minerva’s jaw stiffened. “Are you threatening me, Mr Croll? You have the gall to walk in here and…” Her shoulders locked. “I remember you now. You were in Slytherin, I recall, about thirty years ago. Very punctual with your homework but with a habit of returning it for re-marking if you considered your teacher’s comments to be inadequate to your opus.” An eyebrow quirked. “However, your wand work was downright sloppy. And your animal transfiguration left a lot to be desired…”

Croll’s expression darkened nastily. “I am no longer a student to be criticised, Professor! I am an important member of a significant research facility!”

It was Minerva’s turn to smile. “You keep on telling yourself that, Mr Croll. You might feel better about your limp-wristed spell-casting.”

Remus couldn’t help but smile. Merlin bless Minerva

“How dare…” Croll began a spluttering protest but Minerva’s whiplash of a voice had already picked out a new target.

Wembley Strout.” One of the Werewolf Capture Unit’s finest, a tall blond beefy man with muscles that strained his uniform, jumped violently and quailed like a scolded schoolboy beneath his former professor’s steel-eyed gaze. “How many times did I have to tell you not to hold your wand that way? And as for you, Diarmuid McGuire, you should be ashamed of yourself!” A surly looking man with roughly cut dark hair and a scar across one eye socket winced slightly as his fingers played uncertainly with the set of shackles draped across one arm. “I thought you had more respect for the school than this! You had such promise when we made you a prefect and…”

“Is this necessary?” Croll’s impatient voice snapped abruptly across the Head of Gryffindor’s tirade against her ex-students; behind him, his sturdy operatives had wilted in shame in the face of their former professor’s wrath.

“Of course it isn’t.” Minerva slowly raised an eyebrow as she met the researcher’s glare unflinchingly. “I’ll be happy to desist the moment you gentlemen leave.”

Croll retorted, but Remus was no longer listening as the argument wound on, two voices rising in a swelling crescendo of disagreement. Minerva’s defence was gratifying, no doubt, but ultimately, what had it changed? Croll was still standing in the Great Hall’s entrance, the warrant for his arrest gripped within his palm. There had been so much pleasure in his voice as he had spoken of his duty, so much sick satisfaction “ to bring Remus down, to fell the mighty werewolf Professor who dared to consider himself the equal of ordinary men, such was the stuff that Croll’s dreams seemed to be made off. He would milk every last drop of Remus’ dignity before he was done. He didn’t just intend an arrest “ he intended a humiliation.

If Albus had been here, things might have been different. Even Croll would not have spoken so to Dumbledore.

But he wasn’t here. He was at the Ministry with Snape…

What do you know?

Enough…


He knew. Snape. He had known about the warrant.

The look on his face that morning, the smugness, the satisfaction. And he was a friend of Croll’s…

Snape knew this was coming. He didn’t say a word. That bastard

But there was no time for such thoughts now. He had bigger things to worry about than Snape’s petty vendetta.

Student eyes, all around him, staring at Croll, at Minerva, at him, shocked and confused, their incredulity rushing across him like a surge of living breeze. What has he done, he could sense them thinking. Has he betrayed our trust after all?

Which was exactly what Croll wanted. He wanted every student in that room to think him guilty.

And if he fought, if he shouted, if he ran, he would play straight into the researcher’s hands.

He couldn’t let Croll have this all his way. He couldn’t let them think of him like this. If he was to go “ he was going on his own terms.

He did not know what fate awaited him. But he had no choice now but to find out.

Bureaucracy succeeds where violence fails. It would be laudable if it weren’t so bitterly ironic…

Slowly, carefully, he reached down into his belt and closed his fingers around his wand. He hesitated for a moment, running one finger down the smooth familiar wood that had served him so well and then, as subtly as he was able, he drew it up into the concealment of his sleeve. His eyes flicked to Croll and his entourage but all were firmly preoccupied with the remonstrations of Minerva McGonagall - this was the only chance he was likely to get. He glanced around, considering the possibilities “ the Trio sat nearby at the adjacent Gryffindor table, watching with a mixture of confusion, anger and indignation but the towering form of Hagrid was closer and more concealing than his students. And so, with a swift and stealthy backhand, he deposited his wand firmly into Hagrid’s nearby palm.

The gamekeeper’s bewildered eyes fixed upon him. Remus returned his gaze with weary determination.

“Look after this,” he murmured softly, grimly, resignation heavy within his words. “I don’t want it snapped.”

“Remus…” Hagrid spoke his name in a low whisper of disbelief, but Remus made no answer, instead fixing his eyes upon the rod-straight form of Croll and his impending fate. A low gasp to his left told him that Hermione Granger, seated just two yards away at the Gryffindor table, had seen what he had done, heard what he had said and the looks of furious disbelief on the faces of the now upright Harry, Ron and Ginny were enough to show they too had played witness. But this was not the time.

“Professor, no…” Hermione’s words were a whisper. But Remus only shook his head.

“I have no choice,” he whispered back.

And then, he began to walk.

It was slow, at first, a soft motion, step by step towards his doom, back straight, head held high beneath the burn of gazing eyes, of slow mutters that arose like drifting winds stirred by his passage, growing, building, swelling as he walked. Could he have fought? Of course he could have. He could have littered the Great Hall with spells and watched as innocent pupils tumbled beneath the crossfire of clumsy retaliation from the likes of Strout and McGuire. Perhaps some would have defended him? But Croll’s words to Minerva had been no bluff - it was a legal warrant, of that Remus had no doubt for a forgery would be pointless, dangerous, when Umbridge would certainly have no qualms about adding her signature in truth.

And to defy a legal Ministry warrant was to condemn his defenders along with himself and that was not the fate his wished for his colleagues or his students. Croll had made it clear already “ he would not tolerate anyone who stood in his way. Minerva, Harry, Hagrid, his students “ they would be punished. If things got out of hand, they could even be arrested or killed. And that he could never allow.

Could he have fled? Not easily. Could he have hidden? Not fast enough. Could he have done anything other than what he was doing?

Not in good conscience.

Step after step. Eyes watching. Croll waiting.

After so many trials, so many narrow escapes, the Institute was going to have him. And the Death Eaters were too.

And his last words to Nymphadora Tonks had been a refusal of her love.

I wish hadn’t argued. I wish I had kissed her last night.

I wish I could have said goodbye. To her and to Dad both.


But it was too late now.

I’m sorry Tonks. I’m sorry Dad. But how can I do anything else?

He could only pray for a miracle. He could only pray that it would not be as bad as he feared.

But he knew, just knew, that it would be.

He could hear Minerva’s voice still lashing furiously out at the invaders but a wave of his hand in passing stilled her protests. He ascended the steps, one, two, three and more staring up at Croll’s suddenly gleeful smirk, at the blank, scarred faces of the WCU operatives, at the grim and sturdy shackles in their hands and fought down a wave of sickness. It was his worst nightmare since childhood. And it was coming true.

It wasn’t right. It wasn’t fair. And for it to happen here, in front of everyone…

Last step. There was Croll, smug eyes glinting with glorious triumph, scroll twitching between his fingers as a mark of the anticipation spreading across his face. He slowly smiled.

“Hello Professor,” he drawled nastily. “I knew that I’d be seeing you again.”

Remus’ expression did not waver. His eyes were made of steel.

“If we’re going to do this, Croll,” he stated softly in return. “Then we’re taking it outside.”

He started to turn, started to brush past the researcher in the direction of the doorway but the emphatic appearance of the burly Strout in his path forestalled his attempt at a dignified exit. He heard Croll chuckle unpleasantly.

“Now, Professor,” he declared smugly. “I think that’s my decision.”

A wave of fury tumbled through Remus “ with fierce eyes and narrowed brows, he turned again to Croll.

“You’re enjoying this, aren’t you?” he stated, unable to hide the anger from his voice.

Croll’s smile spread, if possible, even further. His lips curled towards disconcertingly towards his ears.

Absolutely,” he fervently replied.

And then, with an emphatic flourish, Arcadius Croll unrolled his scroll and turned to face the assembled masses.

“Remus John Lupin,” he proclaimed. “By the Authority of the Ministry of Magic, I hereby take you into the custody of the Feral Institute for severe breaches of the Werewolf Code of Conduct. The charges are as follows; that, on several occasions during the course of the autumn of last year, you were seen to be present in the subversive werewolf club known as The Howling, that you did willingly consort with the known criminal and feral werewolf Abraham Kane and that on one such occasion, you did, in the presence of witnesses, submit to your baser instincts and allow yourself to experience what is known as a feral incident. Given the severity of these charges, you are commanded forthwith to surrender your wand for destruction and submit yourself for containment within the Institute for the rest of your natural life. Have you anything to say?”

Utter silence reigned. A thousand faces gaped. Shock rolled through the air like an unseen ocean.

Slowly, grimly, Remus turned to face Croll’s unpleasant grin.

“I did not consort with Kane,” he said coldly, his words echoing profoundly through the silence. “And I wasn’t feral.”

Croll’s chuckle was becoming infuriating. “You know what, Professor?” he replied. “I have a warrant against you whatever. Therefore I don’t much care.” He extended his hand. “Your wand?”

Remus spread his arms. “I don’t have it on me.”

For the first time, Croll’s smug expression wavered. Eyes narrowed, he shot a glance at one of his companions. “Is that true?”

The dark haired operative Minerva had called McGuire was already moving his wand, his lips mouthing a diagnostic spell.

“It’s true,” he stated gruffly. “No wand.”

Croll’s expression remained probing. “No matter, I suppose,” he drawled at length. “It’s not as though you’ll be at liberty to retrieve it. Shackle him.”

And thus began the uproar.

It was as though those words had proved a catalyst, as though the sudden clunk of shackles as McGuire stepped forward with chains grasped in his hands was enough to make it potent, make it real for those below. Students shot to their feet across the length of the Great Hall, shouting indignantly, protesting furiously, or, in the case of Draco Malfoy and his group of Slytherins, cheering heartily in support of his removal. Only the quick reactions of Minerva McGonagall and Hagrid forestalled Harry’s furious charge down the length of the hall, wand held high; as the shackles closed around his wrists, Remus heard his voice echoing out of the mass of sound “ “we’ll get you out, Professor Lupin, we’ll get you out!” “ saw him struggling in Hagrid’s arms and then he saw Croll smile, saw the operatives each take a grasp upon his chains as the researcher tapped his wand, one, two, three…

And then the Hall was gone, the faces vanished, silence ripped from raging sound as a yank against his navel told him fluently that his shackles were doubling as an Institute portkey. A moment later, he stumbled back into the world.

And stared. Stared at grey, barren, windowless walls, at a sturdy metallic door leading into a blank corridor lined with many more of the same. He knew this place.

It was an Institute cell.

A cell on Level Six.

Arcadius Croll’s oily smile filled his vision.

“Well Professor Lupin,” he drawled. “Welcome home.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=34314