Not Our War by snufflesismyidol
Summary: A series of letters between Daniel and Chloe during the first world war. Thanks to my betas! This story is for anyone interested in the war like me. I hope every word is in English, I learn History in French. Part one is the first 2 years, and part two is the last 2 years.
Categories: Historical Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 2 Completed: Yes Word count: 1855 Read: 3923 Published: 10/18/05 Updated: 10/23/05

1. Part 1 by snufflesismyidol

2. Part 2 by snufflesismyidol

Part 1 by snufflesismyidol
June 28, 1914
Dearest Chloe,


There is talk of war amongst the muggles here, and I am getting worried. It is times like these when you seem universes away rather than just a few countries apart. Coming home to England, to John, and to you is all that keeps me going. Don’t let John forget his father; tell him I send my love from France. My work for Gringott’s should not last long, and I hope to be back home by Christmas. If anything happens, I want you and John to go into hiding, because I can’t lose you.


My friend Aberforth is even more concerned than myself. His wife just gave birth to their second son, Albus. Aberforth believes war is brewing, not only for the muggles, but for us, too. He is a seer, and he says fifty years will bring wizard-kinds downfall, unless man can love. Aberforth is a very odd man.


I want the world to be safe for my son, and this talk of war frightens me. Never get involved; it is not our battle. When I return, we will flee to where it is safe, and our son will have the life he deserve. He is a good boy, and intelligent boy, and I want him raised right. When he comes of age, we will send him to Hogwarts, where he’ll be safer than any wizard.


They are recruiting soldiers in the countries nearby, and I have heard of a plan to invade France through Belgium. Don’t worry about me; I will not get involved. If war breaks out, I will return home to you.


Keep working on the farm, and remember not to use magic in front of anyone. These are tense times; they might suspect you are a witch. That would be the end of a quiet life. If they didn’t lock you up out of fear, they would ask you to solve all their problems. Keep your head down, and be careful.


With all my love,
Daniel


August 4, 1914
Dearest Chloe,


Great Britain declared war against Germany today. Take John and hide. I’ve heard of a wizard village called Godric’s Hollow; you should settle down there, and I will join you soon. I can’t be home right away because with this war starting, I am needed even more.


They are recruiting special all-wizard armies to act as a secret weapon. Whatever happens, do not let anyone you know join. They say the war will be short, but I do not believe it.


The countries at war are calling their colonies and alliances. I fear this will be a war of the entire world.


I send my love to John. Wish him a happy birthday for me. I cannot believe five years has gone so fast.


Your beloved,
Daniel


December 25, 1914
Dearest Chloe,


This is anything but a merry Christmas. Men are dying all over Europe. The Gringott’s site where I work has become a battlefield. We arrived one morning and saw the soldiers digging deep trenches. It was a chilling sight.


You’re last letter was comforting. I am glad you decided to move to Godric’s Hollow, and it is good that you persuaded Mrs. Dumbledore and the children to join you.


The wizard army troop is not doing well. Occasionally, someone finds out that a soldier is a wizard, and they are instantly victimized. We have lost over two thousand men already. It is hard for them to use their wands while the muggles are watching.


Both muggles and wizards have come looking for more volunteers. They worry because now people know the dangers of war, there is not likely going to be a lot of new volunteers. Do not worry; I will never join.


I wish I were with you this Christmas. We have to work around the war, and it’s really inconvenient. I can’t wait for this to be over. Thoughts of a short war are forgotten, and no soldiers are home this Christmas. Enjoy it nonetheless, and don’t let John worry. I wish I could afford to give him the best Christmas, but it is not possible this year.


Stay hidden, my love, this is the worst war yet seen by this Earth. I hope to return home soon.


I miss you,
Daniel


April 22, 1915
Dearest Chloe,


Battle broke out for the second time in Ypres, where I work. We had to apparate out of there rather quickly. Wizards must have been amongst the crowd; thousands of gas spells were fired. This is very dark magic used by few. Most of the British soldiers fled the awful scene, except many Canadians. The outcome was terrible, but the battle is not over.


Be safe,
Daniel


November 16, 1915
Dearest Chloe,


Aberforth joined the wizard’s army. He left to aide in the fourth battle of Isonze on the 10th of November. Please take care of his wife and children – Albus is just over a year old. I tried to convince him not to join, but he was stubborn. I have not yet received an owl from him, and I am worried.


Today we worked on a deserted battlefield negotiating with goblins. They seem to enjoy the death and destruction of the war. My stomach was sick as I breathed the dirty air.


Never leave the home anymore. I want to be home by Christmas this year, but it may not happen. John must be growing up before your eyes.


All my love,
Daniel
Part 2 by snufflesismyidol
January 4, 1916
Dearest Chloe,


Take care of Mrs. Dumbledore and her children. I received word today that Aberforth was killed in combat. He was a good man, and a good friend. He never got to say goodbye, or even meet his second son, Albus. His children will grow up fatherless, as it appears John will. It has been over a year since I have seen you. You are still as beautiful as a sunrise, and John must be getting so big. I want to come home. I am scared.


Be careful,
Daniel


July 1, 1916
Dearest Chloe,


A battle has started in Somme. The foolish goblins are planning to arrange a meeting there. I have never met a crueler pack of beings. They have started their own army, and are killing people on both sides of the war. The giants, too, have set up an army, but wizards are bringing them down before they are seen by muggles. There are not many giants left. This is no longer just the muggle’s war. I have even heard of centaurs in Belgium helping whomever they can.


It was good to hear from John in the last letter; it is amazing that he is writing so well.


Be safe my darling,
Daniel



November 18, 1916
Dearest Chloe,


The battle of Somme is over, and it is terrible. 1.25 million soldiers are dead, and only a small amount of land was gained. It was the biggest blood bath I have yet seen. The goblins and wizards are mostly to blame with mass murder, but soldiers are proud in thinking that they brought down so many enemies.


I saw my first ‘tank’ today. It was made by the British, and it is already changing the war. A muggle rides inside it, and it can plough over anything, it seems. Bullets and spells do not penetrate the outside, and the tank can ride right over the no-man’s land. I’ve also heard of ‘aeroplanes’ and ‘submarines’, I think they are called, being used in combat. ‘Aeroplanes’ fly above like birds. They fire at other ‘aeroplanes’ and destroy them. Submarines are used in the water. They send torpedoes (they are kind of like the killing curse – deadly and unstoppable) towards other boats.


I want to return home, but the Minister of Magic is now advising against apparating. He says it is dangerous because, with war on our minds, we might accidentally apparate into a battlefield.


Do not let John know about these dangers; he is only seven. It would terrify him, and he would imagine them coming to your house – just as I fear everyday.


Be safe, Chloe,
Daniel



May 5, 1917
Dearest Chloe,


Britain has issued conscription. Muggle and wizard alike are being forced to fight. The Minister is insisting that we follow the law and join. He says it will be worse for us if we don’t.


I don’t want John to think that his father is a murderer. Please don’t tell him.


Each day I plead that this will be the last day of the war, but each day seems like the fighting will never stop.


I love you, Chloe; never forget it.

Be safe,
Daniel



July 31, 1917
Dearest Chloe,


I have been called to return to Ypres for it’s third battle. It is being called Passenchendale. I returned this morning to find that we are fighting in a swamp. It is a very bad condition, but we must fight any way.


They took away our wands and gave us those muggle guns. Holding that weapon, I realized that the wizards should have never gotten involved. This is a muggle problem, and I want out. I want to return to my wife and son. I want to see my son grow up. I want to be there when he opens his letter from Hogwarts. I want to be there when he boards the train. I want to see him graduate, get married, and have children. I want to be a grandfather. I want to come home.


Please, please don’t worry about me. I love you.


Be safe,
Daniel



November 6, 1917
Dear Daniel,

I heard that Passenchendale was taken, and the battle is over. Why have the letters stopped? Why are you not writing?


John is very proud off his daddy, as am I. I want you to come home. This war can’t last much longer. We will hide from the conscription, and we can be safe.


Quit your job. It is not worth your life! Come home and raise your son!


John would like to write you a message. He misses you.


Dear Daddy,


It is I, John. I am eight years old. Do you remember me? My hair is black and my eyes are brown. Mummy teaches me all about the war. Have you met a real live muggle? Have you seen an‘aeroplane’? When I am big, I want to fight just like my daddy. First, I need to get a wand so I can do magic like mummy. Did you go to Hogwarts, too? Mummy says I will like it there. I am going to go in four years. I want to learn how to do magic.


Mummy said that you did not return her last letter. Why not? Mummy was sad. Are you very busy? Are you all right?


When are you coming home?


Don’t forget me,
John Potter

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=34598