The Surprise Date by RoxyMarie
Summary: Harry and Ginny one-shot. Full of warm fuzzies! Will Harry ever do anything romantic? I never thought I'd see the day. Based on a true story.
Please R & R I'd appreciate it much! Thanks for reading!!

Wow! Over 1200 reads! Thanks a bunch guys!!

Categories: Harry/Ginny Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2822 Read: 2155 Published: 10/20/05 Updated: 10/20/05

1. The Surprise Date by RoxyMarie

The Surprise Date by RoxyMarie
A/N: This story is inspired by the wonderful relationship JKR has begun brewing as well as a picture perfect proposal my friend was blessed with during the first ever, record-breaking Christmas Day Miracle in South Texas last Christmas. It was such an amazing miracle! The Christmas we’ll all remember for the rest of our lives.




Ginny Weasley busied herself in the kitchen of her flat on Diagon Alley, right down from where her twin brothers lived and worked. She was trying hard to get it sparkling clean before Harry Potter arrived to pick her up for their date. It amazed her hard it was to keep her flat clean now that her mother wasn’t following her around to sweep up the mess. He was never on time, so she rallied there was plenty of time to finish her chores.

She finished washing a pot by hand, placing it carefully on the countertop on a dishtowel. A knock on the door echoed though the comfortable-sized apartment and she was surprised to find that it was actually 10 minutes before the time Harry said he’d pick her up. She pulled open the oak door and smiled warmly at him. In his arm was a bouquet of her favorite white roses and he wrapped his free hand around her back, pulling her to him and kissing her deeply.

“Wow,” she breathed once they pulled apart. She pushed a stray of her dark red hair out of her face behind her ear, her grin flushing her face feverishly, and took the offered flowers. “They’re beautiful, thank you.” Immediately, she conjured a vase with water and arranged the roses. “Where are we going tonight?”

His grin was highly mischievous. She knew that look and she loved his surprises. “Not telling you,” he smiled, kissing her on the cheek and grabbing her coat for her. He held it out and she slipped her arms in, reveling in its warmth. She slid her hand around the collar and released her long hair, letting it fall carelessly down her back. “Ready?” he asked, holding out his arm for her.

“Always,” she grinned, hooking her arm around his.

She felt better than ever as they walked slowly down the cobblestone street of the hidden Diagon Alley. The stores were lined with dazzling, fairy-lit Christmas lights and decorations. She loved this time of year. Everyone always seemed to go all out to decorate for the festivities of Christmas day. An arm slipped around her shoulder and she wrapped one around Harry’s waist, getting as close to him as possible. They never needed to talk; they always enjoyed walking in silence, enjoying each other’s company. She couldn’t help but think of how perfectly she fit under his arm like this and her cheeks grew warm with the revelation. They must have been made to fit together so perfectly.

Harry smiled as he watched her expressions. First, she was amazed with the sparkling lights that lit the entire shopping district. Then, she sighed in contentment and snuggled more deeply into his side. “You okay?”

“Perfect,” she replied, her gaze remained watching the decorations as they passed. “Where are we going?”

“I told you, I’m not telling.”

“Come on, Harry! Please tell me!” She tried the puppy dog pout that always brought guys to their knees, her family mainly, giving her whatever she wanted. He was immune by now. “Please?” She tried again.

“Nope, you can’t get it out of me. It’s a surprise and I want it to remain that way.” He tightened his grip on her. He had a habit of doing that, almost as if he sensed something was amiss and was trying to protect her without her worrying. Yeah, after four years of dating, she knew his habits pretty well. Instead of pushing him off her, which she would have done when she was younger, she knew he just needed her comfort, his need to know she was entirely safe now that the threat of evil was vanquished.

After a moment of his tenseness, she stopped walking, forcing him to as well. He looked at her quizzically and she held his hands, pulling them around her back to wrap around her waist. Her arms snaked around his neck, pulling him down to meet her lips. She felt him relax into the kiss and she smiled at his lips, knowing she had succeeded. She pulled away, her face flushed with the realization that they were standing in the middle of Diagon Alley, three days before Christmas, packed with last minute shoppers and people were staring.

He once again took her arm in his and continued to lead her down the street. After a few more moments of silence, he was opening a gate leading to a deserted park on the outskirts of Diagon Alley. She gasped in awe as she took in the scene before her.

A red tablecloth was draped over an old, rickety picnic table, several lit candles illuminating a steaming feast. She reasoned there to be a warming charm placed on the food and she turned to Harry just as her stomach growled, the smell of ham reaching her nose. She giggled and Harry took her by the arm, setting her down at the table, before he, himself took a seat opposite her.

“It looks delicious!”

“Don’t worry, it is. Your mum cooked it!” His eyes were bright with an unexpressed laughter as he stared contentedly at her, causing a warm blush to creep up her cheeks.

“You always seem to outdo yourself, you know.” It was a true statement. Just when Ginny thought she had had the perfect date and none could be better, he would always achieve a greater level of romanticism. It was so unlike the Harry she had loved through Hogwarts. He had been mostly afraid to show his affections towards her in school outside the Gryffindor common room. Now, he seemed to show too many public displays. This was now the fully-grown man she wanted to do nothing but spend the rest of her life with.

They ate peacefully, savoring the mouthwatering aromas and tastes. She enjoyed the fact that they knew each other well enough to not have to speak. To automatically know what one another was thinking at that particular moment in time, just by the look on their face. Harry was contemplative, but calm, rested, peaceful. He radiated with the love he showed her. It was as if he was glowing. She must have had the same tinge because she was so overfilled with love for the man in front of her, she thought her heart would explode if he so much as smiled at her one more time.

Her heart fluttered. There it was. That damn smile that always made her weak in the knees. She thanked God she had been sitting at the moment, otherwise, she knew she’d be on the cold, frozen ground, embarrassed to no end. She sat frozen in place, staring at him, watching him. She never imagined when she was in school that one day she’d be sitting in a park, having a romantic candle-lit dinner with the love of her life. It all seemed so unreal back then that Harry would actually love her the way he did now. She had even given up on him at one point.

She finished her dinner, savoring the last bit of mashed potatoes, and looked around the park. The first snow had yet to grace the London area with its presence, but the chill in the air would undoubtedly bring it at any moment. Christmas lights dazzled around the park, creating a warm glow.

Her eyes scanned the playground. The swing set looked very inviting and she excused herself, kissing him softly on the cheek, to sit on a swing. He followed and sat on the one next to her and began swinging before she had, but she soon caught up to his height.

“I bet you won’t jump,” Harry taunted, a playful glimmer in his green eyes.

“I bet you won’t,” she challenged right back, preparing herself to jump from the flying swing.

“You’re on. On the count of three… one… two… three.” He leapt from the seat of the swing at the same time she did and both landed on the ground with a thump. Ginny couldn’t help the giggle that erupted from her as she rolled over and pushed herself off the ground. Harry was laughing beside her, doing the same. “Didn’t think you had it in you,” he laughed, standing, then holding out his hand to pull her to her feet as well.

“I’ve got six brothers. Do you really think I wouldn’t rise to a challenge?” Her playful gaze met his and Harry pulled her close, his arms wrapping tightly around her back. She fit so perfectly in his arms. She sighed into his chest feeling so safe and warm with him.

“I love you,” he whispered into her hair. The wind had picked up a little and her hair was swirling into his face, filling his senses with the smell of her shampoo.

“I love you too,” she whispered back, moving her arms from in front of her to wrap around him. “So much.”

He pulled back, allowing the biting cold in between their overheated bodies, but he kept his arms around her and just smiled, looking into her eyes. Snow began falling softly and they both looked up at the same time, amazed at the perfect night. They both loved the snow. Loved the snow fights. Ginny caught his eye and placed her hands on either side of his face, pulling him to her for another electric kiss. She felt the fireworks exploding in her mind as his tongue explored her mouth. She was quickly warmed by his body pressed tightly against hers. His hands traveled inside her jacket and up under her tee-shirt, feeling the softness of the skin on her lower back. She shivered involuntarily at his gentle touch. After an eternity, he pulled away from her, leaving her breathless. The cold in the air flooded her. Cooling down her flushed face. She held on to him desperately, her knees weak.

He was breathing heavily as well. The snow had picked up considerably and the ground was quickly covered in the white powder. She watched as he fiddled in his pocket for something, then, stopped, pulling his hand back out and wrapping it around her neck and tangled it into her hair, swaying to a song neither could hear, but both could feel. Her head rested against his chest, being comforted by the sound of his racing heart.

“So is this my surprise?”

“You like it?” His question was playful, but she knew he needed the answer for confirmation.

“Well, you know, I was actually just expecting to go out to dinner. I’m not sure about all this outside stuff…” She trailed off after speaking seriously, leaving him with a horrified expression on his face. She smiled before she continued, “I love it, Harry.”

He shivered and she laughed. He pulled her hastily closer to him and kissed her sweetly, before bending down and picking at the fresh fallen snow.

Before she knew it, she was covered in the powder, some of it melting as it slid down her back. Her eyes blazed and she glared at him, grabbing some of the snow and packing it tight. Some more snow hit her in the face and she sputtered, wiping it off calmly before launching the hard ball at him, pelting his face with coldness.

“Hey! What’d you do that for?” he grinned, taking his glasses off and wiping the water from them. He replaced them just as another ball of snow hit him in the face again. This time, however, instead of wiping them once more, he ran after her, chasing her around the swings they had just jumped from. Following her up and down the slide. His foot slid out from underneath him as he took a corner too quickly in the ice and he went crashing onto the ground.

Ginny couldn’t suppress her laughter as she went to help him up. Her feet came out from under her the second Harry had grabbed her hand and she laughed, landing hard on top of him. She began shoveling the snow over his face, him being at an extreme disadvantage having her holding him down.

He rolled them over, performing the same torture she had just inflicted on him.

“It’s cold, Harry! That’s not fair!” She screamed playfully, trying to force him away, but he was a lot stronger than she and he remained firmly in place.

“You should have thought about that before you buried me in snow.” He continued piling on the snow as she threw it up at him, most of it falling right back down onto her. After a few moments, he stopped, breathing heavily. They were both soaking wet now, shivering, but not really wanting to give up on the fun. He brushed some fallen snow off her cheeks and leaned down, his lips meeting hers hungrily. She wrapped her arms around his neck, pulling his body closer, trying to feed off his warmth. His arms rested on either side of her head, his fingers brushing through her damp hair. No longer, did she feel the wetness of the snow seeping through her coat, no longer did she feel the biting cold of the soft wind. No longer did she care where she was, as long as she was with Harry, nothing mattered anymore.

He pulled away reluctantly and awkwardly reached into his pocket, remaining heavily on top of her. “I-I was going to wait un-until Christmas,” he stuttered, nervously lifting himself just barely off her. “I-I love you, Ginny.”

“I love you too,” she whispered, an unease filling her stomach. Was this finally the moment? Was he finally going to propose?

“Gin, I can’t imagine going another day without knowing you’d be mine forever. Ginny Weasley, will you make me the happiest man alive? Will you marry me?” He popped open a ring case, the dazzling princess-cut diamond sparkling in the dim light.

Tears sprung into her eyes and began cascading down her cheeks. She grabbed the front of his cloak and pulled him to her, kissing him feverishly in reply to his question. He broke from her just long enough to slide the ring over her finger.

“I love you,” she whispered, inspecting the ring through teary eyes. “It’s beautiful, thank you.”

“Thank you, Gin. Thanks for always being there for me,” he spoke into her hair, hugging her to his body. The snow was sticking to everything, making the scenery perfect. Her crimson hair was wet and speckled with small flakes as he was sure his was as well. Some of the flakes mingled on her cheeks, melting in the line of tears still present. “I can’t believe it took me this long.”

She laughed, hitting him playfully. “I was wondering when you’d finally get up the courage. I was beginning to give up on you, but it was well worth the wait.” Once again, she admired the stone on her left ring finger. It sparkled with the waving of the Christmas lights down the street.

He stood up, holding out his hand to her. “Let’s get you home before you get sick.” He waved his wand at the table, the snow covered picnic packing itself in a basket, and he picked it up, dangling it around the arm that wasn’t wrapped around his fiancée. Ginny melted into his side. Fiancée, she thought gleefully, unable to contain the smile.

They trekked back up the Alley, their footsteps violating the pristine smoothness of the powder. Once again, they were silent, happily enjoying the sound of the wind blowing softly at the fresh snow.

She pushed open the door to her flat and waved her wand at the fireplace, flames erupting in a dance. “Have a seat, I’m going to change, then I’ll make some hot chocolate.” She pulled off her coat and hung it beside the front door along with his.

Less than an hour later, they were dry, sitting on the couch in front of the fire, a heavy blanket draped securely around them. Harry’s arms were wrapped around her as they watched the dance taking place in the fireplace. His hand was absent-mindedly running through her hair. Her head was lying on his shoulder, slowly falling asleep. It was the end to a perfect evening.
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=34813