One Last Tender Lie by GringottsVault711
Summary: Siobhan revisits her past, in his prison cell. Companion shot to 'Year Seven: Harry Potter & The Blood Debt', Pre-HBP Warning: This story contains a pairing between a young woman and a significantly older man. If this isn't your cup of tea, I'd advise staying away.
Categories: Other Pairing Characters: None
Warnings: Alternate Universe
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: Yes Word count: 2959 Read: 1597 Published: 10/22/05 Updated: 10/22/05

1. One Last Tender Lie by GringottsVault711

One Last Tender Lie by GringottsVault711
A/N: This story takes place within the 'Blood Debt' universe; AU, Pre-HBP.

One Last Tender Lie

The streets were desolate, the only indications of recent visitors being the footsteps imprinted in the freshly fallen snow upon the cobblestone ground. A lone figure cloaked in black, a hood casting a shadow upon her face, walked with focus towards the bronze doors of the white building that towered above the market.

Her hand trembled as she pulled open the door, and her breath caught on the warm air that enveloped her as she stepped inside. She nodded out of necessary politeness to the men and goblins that stood outside the second set of doors, before walking nervously into the cavernous marble hall that was Gringotts Wizarding Bank.

She’d been to Gringotts before, but it was not usually such an event. She had never been before for this reason. The prison system had only been recently instated in the wizarding bank, due to the fact that Azkaban no longer provided the necessary security in the desertion of the Dementors. It was certainly more welcoming than a cold island out at sea, if not the slightest bit odd. Careful that her face was still blanketed in shadow, she looked around the hall, unsure of where she was to go.

Her curiosity was quickly answered as a tall, bearded man in ink-blue robes called out into the rather barren bank, his voice echoing against the walls and ceiling.

“The three o’clock trolley to the Gringotts Prison System is preparing for its descent. All those with appointments, please come this way.”

The young woman glanced around as she cautiously approached the man, who was at the far back of the hall, standing next to one of the many doors that led to the underground vaults. She quickly realised that she was the only one stepping forward, and felt an odd surge of relief.

“Ready, miss?” the man asked politely, and she nodded in response.

He retrieved a thin, golden rod from his robe, and waved it over her, from her feet to her head.

“Standard procedure,” he explained. “May I have your name please?”

“M-murphy,” she responded, her low voice catching slightly in her anxiety. “Siobhan.”

He looked looking down at a list in his hand, though it could hardly have been much of a list if he was only to be escorting one person. He made a checkmark on the parchment with his quill, and looked back to her with a kind smile.

“Nothing to be nervous about, Miss Murphy,” he said. “It’s just a standard trolley-ride into the vaults. No different than going to get your money.”

It’s not the trip I’m nervous about, she thought, forcing a grateful smile for the man as he held open the door for her.

“Ogblott,” the man called. “We’re ready.”

A goblin came scurrying forward, brushing past Siobhan and the man without a word.

“Which vault?” he asked.

“Three thousand ninety eight,” the man told him, glancing at the parchment again before stowing it away in his robe pocket.

At the mention of the number, Ogblott cast Siobhan a darkly interested eye, causing her to turn away uncomfortably. The goblin shrugged and led them down the torch-lit stone passageway that had been waiting behind the doors, stopping at a small set of tracks. He whistled, and a small cart came forward on the tracks and stopped in front of the group, who promptly climbed in.

The cart hurtled down the tracks so quickly, Siobhan’s hood was pushed back, and she heard the air whistling in her ears. She closed her eyes against the blurring images as they descended further into the depths of vaults, and tried to steady her breath, organise her thoughts.

It had been a year and a half since she had seen him.

She swallowed hard at the mere thought, and felt a sudden lurch in her stomach. She fought a sudden urge to stop the cart, or yell at someone to stop the cart, and turn back. She wanted to forget the whole thing, and walk out of Gringotts the same way she walked in.

But she couldn’t. She was already there.

You’ve made up your mind, she told herself firmly. And you need to do this.

A year and a half. Only a week before he had been arrested, they had met in Hogsmeade. She had almost been caught sneaking out that night, by Argus Filch. She still hadn’t decided if she was grateful for that last night, or not. She couldn’t decide if it was one more memory to treasure, or one more nightmare to regret.

She spent the rest of the bumpy journey trying to block the threatening surge of thoughts that were flooding her mind, and the effort distracted her effectively. It seemed only moments later that the cart jerked to a stop, and the blue-robed man was standing, offering her a helping hand onto the steady stone ground.

She found herself staring at what appeared to be an ordinary vault, only the door was larger, and it was being guarded by three Aurors and two goblins. Quickly, Siobhan veiled her face once again with her hood, and stepped forward.

The two goblins moved to the door and ran their fingers down across the metal in unison, while Siobhan was given another once over with a Secrecy Sensor. Even in her distraught state, she was beginning to feel annoyed with all the fuss they made with their procedures.

“All clear?” Siobhan asked condescendingly of the guards, wizard and goblin alike.

“Go right through,” one of the wizards replied, not catching the young woman’s implied tone.

Siobhan did as he said, and walked through the vault door, accompanied by the blue-robed wizard that had escorted her from the main hall of the bank. She hadn’t been sure of what to expect, and was rather surprised at what she found.

She stood in could hardly be called a vault, but a passageway. It was long and wide, and prison cells lined each side. She glanced upwards to see another level, with more cells on each side again. She could see a few men leering down upon her, causing her to hug her cloak more tightly around herself and drop her eyes to the cold, stone floor.

“This is one of our highest security cell vaults,” the man told her quietly. “One of the more prominent Death Eaters is contained on this level.”

“Yes, I know,” Siobhan replied, her voice catching in her throat.

“Who are you here visiting, anyhow?” the man asked, guiding her to the stairs that were at the very end of the passage, and leading her to the upper level. “It only tells me you’re going to the second level of this vault “ it doesn’t give me a name. We aren’t allowed put that information down in the standard files.”

Siobhan gathered herself a moment before answering in a tremulous voice.

“I’m here to see the very man you just spoke of. I’m here to see Lucius Malfoy.”

The man stared at her a moment, as though he had heard wrong, before quickly looking away and pretending she had said nothing unusual.

“You’ll be provided with a seat and a Privacy Charm,” the man informed her mechanically. “The Charm will remain active for twenty minutes, and other inmates will be unable to hear or see either of you.”

“And what about you?” Siobhan asked stiffly, realising that each step took her closer to Lucius.

“I’ll return to the lower level, where I will be able to keep an eye on you “ purely for security and safety reasons…” he paused a moment in his speaking, before coming to a stop in front of the last cell in the row. “Here you are.”

He waved his wand and muttered an incantation, and a comfortable looking chair was conjured in front of the cell.

“Twenty minutes,” he reminded her, before performing the Privacy Charm and walking away.

Siobhan stood for a moment, observing Lucius in his cell. He was not yet aware he had a visitor, but was sitting at a shabby desk, writing intently across of parchment. There was nothing impressive about the cell, except for the fact that the stool he was seated upon was actually holding any amount weight. Yet, Lucius sat with impeccable posture, his quill poised perfectly in his hand, as though he were back at home in his polished manor, writing out an important document. Siobhan repressed the smallest of grins.

“Hello, Lucius,” she said after a few moments.

He looked up from his parchment in surprise.

“Siobhan.”

There was a tense silence; Siobhan finally took a seat, and Lucius stood up from his. His head was held high, and there was no hint of emotion in his face. At a glance, he seemed no different than before.

But his look of confidence was no longer natural, it was forced. His pride was broken, but he was no less arrogant than he had been. It wasn’t a surprise for Siobhan. After all, there wasn’t much that could defeat Lucius Malfoy’s self image. There was a longing etched into his face “ a longing to return to his former, comfortable life, where he held the power. The life where he was not the prisoner, where he was not at the mercy of another.

“I didn’t expect to see you “ ”

“I didn’t expect to be here.”

“Then why are you?”

“It’s not a conjugal visit, if that’s what you’re wondering.”

“Could you blame me for hoping?” he replied formally.

“As to why I’m here, which answer would you like?” Siobhan said, her voice not betraying any more feeling than his cold eyes.

“I’m not sure what I have to choose from,” he answered. “Perhaps you should decide which is best.”

Siobhan looked away from him, unsure of what to say, as though she hadn’t gone over this conversation a hundred times already.

“I could tell you that I’m here for closure; to say goodbye,” she told him. “I could tell you that I’m here to tell you what I think of you, how disgusting you are for the things that you’ve done.”

She paused, still unsure of how to answer. Lucius was silent.

“The truth of the matter is, rather simply, I had to see you again.”

“But for what purpose?” he asked, his voice still neutral.

“Do I need a reason?” she replied weakly.

At this, Lucius dropped his façade, and spoke more softly, “Perhaps not.”

She looked to him again, and despite the tone of his voice, his expression remained unfathomable. He spoke again.

“Whether or not you have a specific purpose in being here,” he said, “I know you have much to say to me. Maybe you should begin with what you mentioned earlier: how disgusting I am for the things I’ve done.”

“You know how I feel on the matter,” Siobhan told him shortly.

“Is that not the point?” Lucius asked. “That, despite knowing how you feel, I did those things anyway?”

He was entirely right, that was the point. The man she had given herself to had no respect for human life, nor did have respect for her own wishes. The fact that it was the truth only made it harder to speak of.

“Lucius, I can’t…”

“Fine, we’ll discuss another matter,” he said simply. “How is school?”

“Better than usual,” she replied, “I have friends this year.”

“Their names?” Lucius asked.

“Harry, Ron and Hermione,” she told him in a voice that was barely audible.

Lucius stiffened, and she continued, measuring him for a reaction.

“I’ll admit, it makes life slightly difficult. Having slept with the man your friends consider a mortal enemy.”

“They don’t…”

“No, I haven’t told them. Nor do I plan on it. It’s in the past; they do not need to know.”

“If it’s in the past, then why have you come to see me?”

“In three days it will be the anniversary of Arthur Weasley’s death,” Siobhan said, ignoring his question. “Did you remember that? After all, you’re the one who “ ”

“You said only moments ago you did not wish to speak of that.”

“Of what? The fact that you’re a murderer? Well, perhaps I’ve changed my mind, and I do want to talk about it.” She stood up as the words spilled out, everything she had wanted to say to him. “And, you murdered Katherine Bell, as well “ am I right? Tell me Lucius, did it give you pleasure to take their lives?”

“Not nearly the same amount of pleasure as you have given me on many occasions,” he replied.

“Bastard!” she spat. “I can’t believe I ever “ ”

“Loved me?”

Siobhan faltered, her anger immediately chased away, and replaced by the familiar pain of what she would have described as heartache, were she not so unsure.

“That’s not what I was going to say…” she muttered.

“But “ it’s true, isn’t it?” Lucius continued, his voice was delicate again. “You loved me, perhaps you still do. That is why you are here. That is why, despite how much you hate what I am, you have come back to me.”

“Manipulating my emotions again, Lucius? Just like old times.”

“You’re avoiding the question.”

“It’s what you would do.”

“I’m not being asked any questions here.”

“I am too young to know anything about what love is,” Siobhan replied finally.

“That’s not true,” Lucius said. “You’re an expert liar, Siobhan. Surely you can do better…”

“I’m not lying.”

“You’re eighteen. It’s old enough to know love.”

“I was younger when we were together, I knew nothing of the difference between love and lust. And you took advantage of my youth - ”

“I took no advantages of you,” Lucius hissed indignantly. “You showed me nothing but consent. I have committed my share of sins, but you will not turn me into a rapist. You will not accuse me of hurting you… I would never do such a thing.”

“Because you love me?” Siobhan said, smirking slightly at having trapped him successfully. Lucius abated a moment, considering her, before smiling wickedly.

“Well, well “ you certainly have not lost your touch…”

“Who’s avoiding the question now?”

He paid no attention to the question, as he knew it was coming, but reached his arm through a set of bars.

“Come here,” he requested, holding his hand to her.

Siobhan hesitated only slightly before acquiescing. She stood and took his hand in hers, and he grasped her tightly and pulled her forward, bringing his lips to her ear, or as close as the bars would allow.

“Would you kiss me again, or am I so detestable that the thought makes you sick?”

“That depends,” Siobhan said breathlessly. She had dreamed of being this close to him again, but she could not let herself break. Not when she was coming so close to forgetting him.

“What does it depend on?”

“If you were given the chance to make the decision all over again, whether or not to become a Death Eater. For whatever reason “ even if you said no, just because you didn’t want to end up in this cell - what would you choose?”

“I don’t think I have the luxury of making that decision again…”

“That’s not what matters,” she said, turning her face and looking him in the eye, trying to detect his answer before she might be forced to hear it.

“Do you want the truth, or would you prefer I tell you you’d like to hear?” Lucius asked.

“I need the truth,” she said sadly.

“He’s going to lose this war, isn’t he?” Lucius said, further avoiding answering the question. “The Dark Lord.”

“I’m putting all my faith in that, yes. Does that change your decision?”

“No,” he said simply.

Siobhan made to pull away, but he held her tightly, reaching with his other hand to turn her face back to his as he spoke.

“I would choose you.”

It was not the answer she had imagined, and she did not assume it would hurt more to hear than the alternative. She looked at him sorrowfully.

“And I would kiss you again, but the pain would be too much.”

With those last words, she pulled away from him, turning to the blue-robed man who had returned.

“Time’s up,” he said, and eyeing Lucius with suspicion, “There isn’t any trouble, is there?”

“No sir, we’re finished,” she said quietly. She turned to say goodbye to Lucius, but saw that he had stepped away to his bed. He returned in a moment, holding stacks of parchment out to her.

“It’s annoyingly tiresome sitting in this cell, with nothing to do,” he said with a mix of irritation and disgust. “They’ll only allow me writing materials…”

Siobhan took the stack of parchment and glanced through them.

“What are they?”

“My letters to you,” he said, all traces of emotion once again removed from his voice.

“Goodbye, Siobhan. I can only hope that we will meet again.”

She looked at the letters in her hand, before tuning to see his face for what she knew to be the last time.

“Goodbye, Lucius.”
This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=35030