Conquering anything by hannah mickie
Summary: Okay, we know Lily hated James and James adored LIly. But what about the other marauders? How did Peter finally betray his friends? Did Remus and Sirius have any teen romance? If so, what happened?and the number one question: How did the beauty finally give into the beast?
-author's note- OK, trying to add a new chapter, but it's NOT WORKING. Try to update soon!
Categories: James/Lily Characters: None
Warnings: None
Challenges:
Series: None
Chapters: 1 Completed: No Word count: 1601 Read: 1473 Published: 11/16/05 Updated: 11/16/05

1. The Letters by hannah mickie

The Letters by hannah mickie
Author's Notes:
Okay, I haven't updated in awhile (though, with the lack of reviews, I wondering if it's really that bad of a thing O_o) Anyway, I've been writing and practicing and auditioning to get into a new school, so I've been REALLY busy. But that's finally over, and I'll try to submit the next chapter. However, I would LOVE it if I could get some more reviews! PLEASE!!!

A/N
Trying to submit the next chapter. are you supposed to get an e-mail if it was denied, cuz i got nothin', and it seems to be lost. if anyone could explain the procedure, I'd be eternally grateful
Lily Evans was trying to sleep, which proved difficult with the argument running downstairs and her owl, Pelephoni, screeching wildly. Lily rolled her eyes and crammed her pillow over her ears. All this did was pinch her face painfully. It didn't even muffle the noise.

"Please, Petunia. She's leaving in just a couple of days," Mrs. Evans begged. "Can't you just stay home for that long and stop gallivanting around with that Dursley?"

"That Dursley?” Petunia screeched. “I’d rather go gallivanting with that Dursley than be in danger here with that freak!”

Lily heard Petunia storm off, and the door slamming behind her. Ahh, peace and quiet. Finally, she thought. She closed her eyes, and ignored the sound of her mother’s sobbing downstairs. Her parents would never understand the relationship between their two daughters. Unlike her parents and little brother, Perry, Petunia despised that Lily could do magic. It wasn’t normal (in the words of Petunia) and Lily was a freak (again, in the words of Lily’s dear sister) if she could make a plate of eggs hover, as she had at breakfast this morning. Lily still found it strange that Petunia could be so terrified of a simple hovering charm. They were, after all, juvenile spells, and completely harmless.

Lily wasn’t too bothered anymore about her sister’s animosity. Sure, it had been a disappointing shock when her loving sister had suddenly turned on her, after she had received her letter, but that was seven years ago.

Lily was finally drifting off. Pelephani’s soft hooting and the wind outside her open window lulled her to sleep…

“AHHH!”

Lily jumped out of bed, throwing a fluffy something to the floor. Pelephani woke up, and began hooting wildly and ramming herself into the side of her cage, trying to get out. Lily flipped on the light and looked frantically for whatever had woken her up. On the windowsill, looking quite startled, was an amber-eyed brown owl.

Lily nearly laughed. She’d been scared out of bed by a harmless owl! She grinned, repressing a loud burst of laughter. She allowed the owl to warily fly onto her forearm, and she untied a letter from its leg. She put the owl into Pelephani’s cage. Her own owl, looking quite happy about the company, pecked playfully at her guest, and allowed him to drink from her water bowl.

Lily opened the magically sealed envelope with her wand, and unfolded the letter.

Dear Lily,

How’s your summer been? I’ll bet it’s been unbearable, with the absence of a certain someone. Ha Ha! I’m just kidding! Please don’t throw this away.
I just wanted to inform the only girl in Hogwarts who could possibly be Head girl who the Head boy is. Me, as impossible as it may sound. I don’t know what Dumbledore’s playing at, but there it is! I’ll see you on the Express.
Love,
James

On the margin was a tiny “LE”, traced with tiny flowers. With lilies.

Lily groaned. Why her? Why’d James Potter have to like her? Why couldn’t he obsess over some other, stupider girl? Stupid Potter!

And then it hit her. Head Boy? He had to be joking! He was just trying to get to her. Well she wouldn’t let him. She got a quill and a piece of parchment, and wrote a reply. Much happier, Lily went soundly to sleep.

----------------

Potter,
Nice try, but it isn’t going to work. I’ll admit, at first, your letter gave me a shock, but then I figured it out. Don’t worry, I’m not mad. Your joke was pretty funny. Now, tell me who the real Head boy is. Or, better yet, tell Remus to. You’ll probably say it’s Sirius Black, or something. I’ll see you at school.
Lily

Sirius gave a bark-like laugh as he read over James’ shoulder.

“Merlin, mate, that’s harsh. She thinks you’ve got about as much chance of being Head boy as me! I guess she’ll just have to learn the hard way.”

James smiled, amused. He would have thought the same thing a week ago. He’d been shocked when he’d gotten the badge with the large “H” and Hogwarts crest on it.

“James! Sirius! I told you to get down here!”

“Okay, Mum!” James yelled back downstairs to Mrs.Potter.

“So are you going to tell Remus to break it to her?” Sirius asked, grinning.

“Course not. If she won’t believe me, then that’s her problem. The truth will dawn on her when she sees my badge. She’s going to have a nasty shock tomorrow.” James laughed.

“Mate, that’s cruel.” Sirius shook his head solemnly, but there was a mischievous glint in his eyes.

"Isn’t it? Serve her right. Any girl would jump at a chance to go out with me.”

“Except her.”

“Well, yea. I mean, what in Merlin’s name is wrong with me. I’m smart, handsome (if I do say so myself), popular, a bloody good chaser”" James tapped his fingers as he named his attributes.

“And very humble,” Sirius smirked.

“Exactly!” James said, missing the sarcasm in Sirius’ voice. “So why won’t she go out with me?”

Sirius rolled his eyes, and James caught him.

“What?”

“Nothing, Prongs. But did you ever”" Sirius started.

“James Potter, you get down here this instant! You too, Sirius Black, before I give your breakfast to the House elves!” Mrs.Potter hollered upstairs.

Sirius’ eyes widened with horror at the thought of his worst nightmare being realized. Sirius rushed out the door, and James heard him tumble downstairs in his hurry. James, somewhat slower, followed, folding Lily’s letter carefully and sticking it in his pocket. It was, after all, the first she’d ever sent him. That had to mean something, right?

Suddenly, James ran into something and toppled over.

“Oh, Mr. Potter, sir!” a squeaky voice gasped. James, who’d fallen flat on his back, sat up with a hand to his head, and saw a tiny, female house elf looking woefully at him. She had something wrapped up in brown paper in her arms.

“I’m alright, Dumpy. No harm done.” James smiled, ignoring the pain in his head.

“Dumpy will punish herself, Mr. Potter, if Sir wishes it.”

“Don’t you dare, Dumpy,” James warned. “We have enough vases that have met your head in less than cheerful circumstances, thank you.” James grinned.

This, however, was the wrong thing to say. Dumpy howled with sobs. “Dumpy has broken her Mistresses favorite vases! Dumpy has displeased the family she is supposed to serve! How will Dumpy ever forgive herself?”

“Dumpy, be quiet. I didn’t mean it, alright? I was just kidding.” James pressed his hands together, pleading. He thanked God for the House elf magic, because Dumpy had to hush. James didn’t want to face his mother if she thought he’d mistreated one of the servants. “Alright. Now, tell me, did you need something?” James asked patiently.

Dumpy sniffed. “Dumpy just wanted to give Mr. Potter a gift. He is leaving to school tomorrow, sir, and Dumpy will miss him.”

“Hey, I’ve got no objection to a present. Let’s have it then.” Dumpy smiled shyly and handed him the package she was holding. He ripped it open, and found two identical mirrors. “Err…thanks, Dumpy.” James forced a smile, trying not to show his disappointment at not finding a pack of dungbombs or chocolate frogs.

“They is two-way mirrors, sir. Sir gives one to one of his friends, and if he calls their name, he will see them in his mirror and talk to them.” Dumpy grinned toothily. “Oh, like one of them fellytone things muggles use, only I can see them, right?”

“Yes sir.” Dumpy nodded excitedly, pleased that James liked the present.

“That’s bloody brilliant. Thanks!” James grinned one last time and ran down the stairs.

“It’s about time, young man. Sirius is already on his third helping.” Mrs. Potter scowled impatiently at him.

“I’s wiwy goo’, Mizuz Po’er,” Sirius said their an enormous mouthful of egg.

“Don’t talk with your mouth full,” Mrs. Potter scolded, but she looked pleased, nonetheless. James buttered his toast and crammed the whole thing into his mouth. His mother, who would normally have had something to say about this, didn’t even seem to notice. She just kept looking back at the clock.

“He should be here by now…” she kept muttering to herself.

“Don’t worry, Mum,” James reassured her. “He’ll be here soon enough.”

James father, Oliver, was working late again. He worked nights, but lately, he’d been working nearly all hours. With the threat of Voldemort growing ever stronger, Ministry workers found themselves with more and more work. Oliver Potter was Head of the Auror office in the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, which meant he was needed more than anyone, and was in the most danger.

“Of course he will,” Mrs. Potter snapped in response to James reassurance. “I never said he wouldn’t be.” She looked desperate to reassure herself of this.

An hour later, an owl flew into the living room where the two Potters and Sirius were enjoying tea, holding a letter in its talons. Mrs. Potter opened it and read it. Then she let out a blood-curdling scream, before collapsing on the couch, out cold.

------------------

This story archived at http://www.mugglenetfanfiction.com/viewstory.php?sid=37042